About First Meridian Mortgage Corporation
This profile has not been claimed by the company. See reviews below to learn more or submit your own review.
First Meridian Mortgage is a small, veteran-owned home loan broker that partners with more than 30 lenders to offer competitive rates for various loan and refinancing options in select areas of Maryland, Virginia and D.C. You can get free mortgage quotes on its website.
What is First Meridian Mortgage?
First Meridian Mortgage was founded in 1996. The veteran-owned business serves customers in Virginia, Maryland and D.C., and, according to its website, it’s competitive due to its low overhead costs. It offers free quotes and advice on its website and partners with between 30 and 40 banks and mortgage providers. First Meridian offers several loan products, including mortgage refinancing options — its most popular program is its No Closing Cost Refinancing.
How does First Meridian Mortgage work?
First Meridian Mortgage sells a variety of loan products for homebuyers. The company caters to first-time homeowners and those looking for investment properties, home improvements or a second home. Mortgage options from First Meridian include:
- Conventional: These loans aren’t the result of any particular government programs. The two types of conventional loans are conforming and non-conforming — conforming loans must adhere to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac rules and regulations, but there are no pricing, eligibility or feature standards for non-conforming loans.
- Government home loans: These are backed by government agencies and include FHA and VA loans.
- Home equity loans: These use the value of your home as collateral to help secure the loan — equity is the difference between the house’s market value and the amount left on the mortgage.
- Home improvement loans: This type of loan requires that you take out a line of credit on your home or refinance your mortgage. This can be used to improve your home both inside and outside.
- Refinancing with no closing costs: Also known as zero-cost refinancing, this option greatly reduces your upfront closing costs by adding them to the mortgage’s overall cost.
- Adjustable-rate to fixed-rate mortgage: This refinancing option gives you a more stable payment for living in your home for an extended period.
- Debt consolidation: This combines all your separate debts into a single monthly payment.
First Meridian Mortgage rates
First Meridian doesn’t list specific pricing on its website. It does, however, have an interest rate calculator to help you estimate your overall expenses. The website also has a table with current rates that updates daily. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the average mortgage payment is just over $1,500 a month. Your mortgage payment amount depends on your:
- Down payment
- Interest rates
- Credit score
- Debt-to-income ratio
- Home cost
- Mortgage insurance cost
First Meridian Mortgage FAQ
- Where is First Meridian Mortgage available?
- First Meridian Mortgage is licensed in Virginia, Maryland and D.C. The company is headquartered in Fairfax County, Virginia.
- How long does closing take with First Meridian?
- First Meridian doesn’t specify how long closing takes, but closing times often depend on several factors like scheduling, title issues and buyer delays.
- Does First Meridian offer refinancing loans?
- Yes, First Meridian offers zero-cost refinancing, adjustable-rate to fixed-rate mortgages and debt consolidation.
- How long is the approval process with First Meridian Mortgage?
- There’s no specific timeline for approvals on the First Meridian website. However, in general, the loan approval process takes from days to several weeks, depending on the situation.
Is First Meridian Mortgage legit?
First Meridian Mortgage Corporation is a small business that services just three areas across the country. For this reason, there’s not much information about the business online, but it’s a veteran-owned business and should be able to provide highly focused customer service due to its small size. Overall, First Meridian is a legit business and likely a good choice for homebuyers living in Maryland, Virginia or D.C.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
- 3,432,734 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
First time home buyer here and based on stories from my friends/family I was a bit nervous about the entire process- mainly how to navigate the various VA home loan steps. I looked into a few places, but ultimately chose to go with First Meridian because Kevin is also a veteran and figured he’d know the VA process. I wasn’t let down at all.
With Kevin and Elizabeth the entire process went smoothly. They are beyond knowledgeable and took the guesswork out of the equation completely. Kevin considered my personal circumstances and negotiated an impressively low rate. I especially appreciated their responsiveness and the saintly level of patience they had with my many questions and concerns. I was impressed throughout the process, but when they continued to follow up after the deal was closed- I was floored. Their professionalism, honesty, concern for customers, and efficiency is beyond reproach. If you’re looking to buy a home and want excellence from start to finish, I recommend Kevin and his team.
Kevin ** and his team at First Meridian Mortgage Corporation are tops. We had initially spoken with numerous lenders and though we had settled in with USAA for our pre-approval, our realtor asked that we take a moment to discuss our intentions with Kevin. Kevin immediately identified shortfalls of the pre-approval process that we had placed our full confidence in. Kevin demonstrated a depth of knowledge that other lenders failed to, an ability to see solutions where others saw hurdles, and a committed professional investment in the process.
As importantly, he and his team worked our application with determination, candor, and plain English transparency. Kevin never ceased advocating for our application. Without Kevin ** and First Meridian Mortgage Corporation, we would not have found ourselves buying and selling, contingency free, on-schedule, with full confidence in our approval and under the most favorable loan conditions. Applying for a mortgage loan is one of the largest financial decisions we make. Get it done and done right - with Kevin **.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
There are (at least) 2 companies called First Meridian Mortgage Corporation. Please be sure to indicate which company (and location) you are referring to in your reviews! The one in Alexandria Virginia owned and run by Kevin Retcher has been great (http://www.firstmeridianmortgage.com). The bad reviews all seem to be about the one in Florida that has no relation to the one in Virginia.
I've used First Meridian Mortgage Corporation in Virginia to refinance more than 6 times since I purchased my first home in the 1990s. Kevin (the owner) has been knowledgeable and helpful on all fronts. I shopped around for a while, but I never refinanced anywhere else, in large part because Kevin provides both a good price and has proven trustworthy. FWIW, I have a number of professional colleagues (with PhD's in Economics) who have used First Meridian in Virginia, as well. I currently have my auto and homeowners insurance through the company, as well.
First Meridian Mortgage Corporation Company Information
- Company Name:
- First Meridian Mortgage Corporation
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.