1.31/5
Based on 123 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a loan company?

Credit Acceptance Corp

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

519 Credit Acceptance Corp Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

It was back in 1989, I paid almost 2,000 down on a 5,000 Chevy Chevette car from credit acceptance... I was late making a payment, almost two months behind, they came and repossess the car... Mind you, this was in 1989. Now, in 2016, they are coming after me, sent me a garnishment court letter to take state taxes, they took 2016 and 2017 state taxes. I tried to stop it, because it’s been almost 30 years... but judge said he can’t do anything about it. They have been paid for this vehicle triple times over. I’m devastated. I can’t believe they can do this. I thought the stature of limitations has run out!!! Somebody PLEASE tell me if anything can be done to stop these people?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I was in desperate need of a vehicle, didn't think I was screwing myself, anyway these people repossessed my car without even calling letting me know that they wasn't receiving the payment from my bank account. I was supposedly 2 months behind and had to pay 593 to get my car back plus I had to pay $20 to the tow man… they gave me the runaround before they released my vehicle. I just started working a new job and my car note was due Friday which was Feb 16. I told them I will have their money the upcoming Friday. MY car note was only 249 a month now it's 327.

I called to let them know I'll have it. Them ** said I owe 600 sum dollars for late fees. I'll drive a bicycle to work before I pay that much amount for a 08 Malibu. They said they gone deactivate the car and repo it. They are a rip-off, because my bank statements showed they got the money...!! WHEN THEY COME PICK UP THE CAR THE ONLY THING THEY WILL HAVE IS A FRAME!! THEY ACT LIKE I’M IN A BENZ!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I purchased my 2004 Cadillac CTS back in 2016 of August. I’ve made payments with Credit Acceptance on time for each month. One day I got a call saying I basically qualified for lower payments. Turning $250 monthly payments a month to now $150 a month. I asked if they could send me an agreement through mail saying it’ll $150 from here on out. They agreed and never sent it. Another problem I’m upset about was my date each month that I was suppose to pay. Come to find out it wasn’t the 16th of each month like I asked multiple times and they agreed again but it was the 10th every month. They blew my phone up demanding payments when I pay on time! My credit score dropped 66 points!! I’m very upset and so fed up with Credit Acceptance! Please give me a call so I can discuss this matter to someone that’ll listen and understand! Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

They mislead the customer into believing they can pick their payment date then they harass you for being only a day late. I believe they do this in order to get you to do autopay option. At just one late payment they begin harassing you by threatening to affect your credit score. I was only one day late on a payment and they reported against my credit. Never again will I purchase a car by them. I’ll walk!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

This was the absolute worst banking/financial institution ever. We had to use them at first because our credit wasn't great... It wasn't bad either. They would call at least 12-30 times a day and started the morning of the due date. Horrible, horrible, rude, nasty customer service individuals. These people should be ashamed of their selves. Finally got refinanced at my bank and when I tried to pay off the truck they want me to pay a fee for every $2000 and got rude as hell when I explained to them I just he the pay off. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY. Absolutely the worst.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Acceptance Corp?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I purchased a 2006 Audi A3 back in 2014. The warranty they sold me was garbage. Clutch went. Mechanic butchered my car in the sum of $10k plus. Up to that point I was consistent with my payments. At the time of repossession I had paid Credit Acceptance $12,236 for a car that booked for $5,375. They want another $6,900 to get it back plus the $400 repo bill. I would recommend buying a cash car and work on repairing your credit. This is predatory lending at its finest. Legal theft.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My old car was leaking gas. The cost to fix it was worth getting a new one. I had bad credit, foreclosure, bankruptcy, late payments, and a divorce. I sat in a chair at a car dealership while they look for someone to finance me. It took almost an hour. The only one who took a chance on me was Credit Acceptance Corp. I had my car for 7 months. Then my rent went up to market value uggh. I figured I could just be 2 weeks late with my car lease payment. Phone calls started coming in. I decided to come to this site and check and see the reviews of their financing techniques etc. I was horrified! I kept reading myself sick. I was 7 days late while I await looking for an apt.

I went home and thought about everyone here. I couldn't sleep, I kept checking on my car at night. Then finally went to sleep. I woke up. Was so glad to see my car there still. I rushed and made my payment. Just so you know. I DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. But, grateful they gave me a loan. Maybe high interest. But, they were the ONLY ones who would finance me. I wouldn't finance myself. LOL. I'm sorry for ones who had such bad experiences. It wasn't the case for me. I do wonder why my dealer said to me when I was approved. Don't be late. Now I know... We all have life challenges. Don't let your pride get in the way. Ask for help, family or friends, church etc... and, do not live beyond your means. They are a BUSINESS. And, I'm truly blessed and grateful they financed my horrible credit. LOL. :)

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I was scammed honestly, I have agreements between myself and the lender as well as the deal, there was no reason for financing to fall through. Yet, the dealership came and took my car so I called Credit Acceptance since that’s who I’m ALREADY PAYING. They said the contract was closing but no explanation of why it closed, then proceeded on to say I was only “pre-approved” but sent me a welcome letter, coupons to make my payments, and happily accepted my payments and put itself on my credit report like if I was approved. If I had known financing through them was a LIE I would have walked away from the dealership and gone elsewhere instead of charging more miles and days on a car that was not going to be mine and got my downpayment and my trade in car back when I had the chance. Now I’m out my downpayment and my trade in car because I was lied to by not only this company but also by the dealership I went to.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Oh boy this will be a long one. Okay so I am 20. I purchase my first vehicle on 06/18/16 from Drivetime. 2014 Ford Fiesta financed thru BridgeCrest. These MFS sold me basically a lemon. My car broke down several times starting on 09/30/2017, barely a year. I had auto payments set up semi-weekly. My note was $433 a month so $214 every two weeks. I called my finance company which dont get me wrong they had a great warranty program. Only a $100 deductible, I called to ask if they had a loaner vehicle because the place that fixed my car had it for 3 weeks.

They had to replace the whole engine. by then I really wanted a new vehicle because that sucked but once I got it out the shop I was okay again until a 2 weeks later, Brakes went out, tires need replacing (basic stuff) and the blazing gun was the transmission went out. I was furious. Too much for me to only have the car for a year. Bridgecrest was not helpful. Never been late on a payment, did what I was suppose to and they screwed me. So now if I keep the car you think of other options refinancing, trading in, etc etc. So I attempted to refinance. Nope not gonna work. Then I attempted to trade it in several times. Car purchased at $13,000 financed for $17,000 in total with a interest of 14% would be paying $25,000 for a 2014 ford fiesta -_-, my leftover loan is $14,000 and get this my car trade in value is only $4,000.

Oh yes. I am very pissed. Ill be $10,000 upside down, nobody wants to finance me. Tried a few cosigners nothing. So I came along. A guy at Planet Ford. explained my situation and he said, "Dont worry about it imma get you in car," which every dealership said the same thing. He told me he found a bank but I needed $3,000 down thats including registration. So I got my grandpa to give me the money. Mind you I am still paying for this dang on Ford Fiesta. So new vehicle is with credit acceptance. I am happy to get a new car but I am waiting on the payment info and the interest rate.

It was reasonable. I guess I would now be in a 2015 Ford Focus payments of $388 monthly ext warranty plus I can trade it in 2 years. I will say this to anyone who has a Ford car be careful. Those Fords should all come with ext warranty on the transmission. They have very faulty transmission. If one is not offered to you DONT ACCEPT THE LOAN. I made my first payment of $388 to credit acceptance this past weekend. I spoke with a rep to turn on my semi monthly payments because it's easier to me. I keep all my documents and I record phone conversations. I see so much negative reviews for this company. I hope I dont have a bad experience.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

#creditacceptance Wow I can say so much but I will make a long story short! They approved me for a loan. I was behind $160. They never made attempt phone calls. They just came repo'd my car. I set up a pay date, they still moved my car to auction all the way to Flint from Detroit and held me responsible for going to pick it up after I had to come up with my late payment $160 tow fee of $260 and late fees plus pay to have it towed back!! For something that is suppose to help build your credit is designed to keep you in debt. Say no to Credit Acceptance!!! They're frauds in disguise.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

My mom, dad, brother and myself all got cars the same day at this little dealership in April. We all were financed through Credit Acceptance. We made all our payments on time for 3 months. My brother passed away without life insurance. Called, tried to explain, they didn’t care so for the next 2 payments we made partial payments so we didn’t fall too far behind. My gram ending up passing away shortly after while still making payments on my brother's funeral. Now we have to pay for my gram's. We were so in over our heads we couldn’t even make the partial payments for the next 2 months. We had went out of town for 2 months. Left our cars in the driveway so they could take them if they felt the need. Got harassed saying we were hiding the cars so they couldn’t repo them when they were sitting in our driveway so we ended up coming home early to make sure nothing happened to the cars.

Get home they're fine. Still sitting there. They call me all day 15-20 times a day off like 6 different numbers. I feel no need to answer after being falsely accused and harassed for months straight. Now the cars are still sitting in my driveway. We still use them everyday and have not made a payment in months because when we try says the accounts are closed and I won’t call in to talk to their poor excuse for a manager. They have no sympathy for anyone. They are ruthless. Don’t get me wrong we would love to keep our cars but at this point the only way to do it would be if they refinanced our loans and gave us a fresh start.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I knew I was about to get behind on my car payments, I had just had surgery and had to take a couple weeks off. I called them and let them know and it was supposed to have been set up for me, but the night before I was going to make my payment, repo guy pulled my car from my yard. I had to pay double my monthly payment just to get my car back and on top of that, they raised my monthly 60$ for 10 months. Saying I was behind that much. I was 3 weeks behind when my car was repoed, so screw Credit Acceptance. They suck.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I purchased a car for $4,995 at Hoffman Bros. Used Cars located in Laurel, MD, while I put down a payment of $2,500 my car was financed by Credit Acceptance Corporation, I got approved for a monthly payment of $169.89 per month for 48 months. Unknowingly a warranty of around $3,000 was added, I called to have the warranty removed. I was given a loan for double of the asking price.

I called to discuss what had happened to my $2,500 down payment, the dealer attempted to double talk me, I then contacted Credit Acceptance Corporation with the same question, the representative stated that she didn't know what happened to the down payment. She stated that the amount financed is what was reported to them by the dealer. I then called Hoffman Bros. back, to again ask where'd the down payment go and how is that I owed over $8,000 on a car that was selling for only $4,995 excluding tags, title, dealer fees, etc. minus a $2,500 down payment that somehow "disappeared." After a year of payments, it is said that I still owe over $1,800. I advise anyone to not purchase from Hoffman Bros. or get financing Credit Acceptance.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I had purchased a car using Credit Acceptance- due to my own fault, I had a low credit score and they were the only ones willing to give me a loan. I made all my payments on time for 2 years, but due to unforeseeable events, I fell behind 4 payments. My car was repossessed- I cannot blame the company- I fell behind and they waited 4 months. I called Credit Acceptance to try and get my car back- they told me I have been on time and have put a lot of money into the car, and they'd like to work with me to keep the car.

They allowed me to make a partial payment rather than the entire amount I was behind on and released the car to me the same day. Of course repossession is horrifying, embarrassing and beyond stressful, but I truly felt that Credit Acceptance was very lenient with me and wanted to work with me- I felt the customer service rep was very respectful to me. I called, explained I understand it was my fault and why, and asked what I could do. Communicate calmly with them (I understand how hard it is to be calm when you walk outside and your car is gone) and I truly believe they will try and work with you.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I got the car 06/2017, had to change jobs and called them to allow them to know I will pay on the 15th instead of the 5th. I was rudely talked to, inquired if the co-signer could do it and allowed to know that there was no grace period. After reading the reviews, I wish that I had known this sooner. They need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau. I am sadden and wish they were better to their account holders. I have paid every month more and before the due day and this one time, this is what they do???

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They are a rip off. They will make payment arrangements with you if you're a little late that you thought you paid off at some point and they will add on more fees so that it never ends. They will turn off your vehicle so that you can't drive it and repossess your car with the quickness and call you all day long 24/7 for a fee of $12.00 that you may owe. It's just an unethical company all the way around. They give high interest car loans to people that they know can't afford the car they finance and accept a large down payment so eventually they can repossess it and do it all over again. They prey on the less fortunate. It's sickening! Never again will I give them my business and advise you not to either.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

In early December, I had what I thought was a minor car accident when I hit something on an extremely foggy night avoiding a deer. Long story short, my car was a complete loss. I had been making on-time payments since March 2017 to Credit Acceptance. When I called to notify them of the accident, there was no courtesy, not once was I asked if anybody was hurt, I was switched to a loans officer who basically told me they wanted their money. She informed me that I still needed to make payments until the insurance company sent them a check and I would be Responsible for the remainder that the insurance company did not cover. I informed her that I had signed a waiver for gap insurance, something she told me she did not have in her records so I would still need to pay.

At some point the dealer whom I bought my car from, called the Credit Acceptance rep he deals with, to confirm that I had gap insurance, which he did, and he was told the most I would have to pay is my deductible with reasonable payments. This happened around the holidays so it's obviously a time when normal people are low on cash to begin with. I had no problem with paying the deductible in a timely fashion, for a reasonable amount of money. I obtain a new loan, for a higher monthly payment due to the fact that I still show the Credit Acceptance on my credit. My deductible was $500. Last week, Credit Acceptance begin calling my house, so on my first day off I called them, and they told me that I now have $750 of my loan in collections.

I asked them why it was in collections when everything I have paid is up-to-date, and he replied it was because I haven't made my December 24 car payment. I replied that they were aware of the vehicle was totaled out on December 4th, and the check was sent to them from Geico on the 20th... Isn't it kind of petty to have expected a payment on the 24th? I was informed that they added that payment onto the $500 deductible which they want in hundred dollar increments. NOT the affordable monthly payments that I was told they would be, especially since my new car loan came at a greater interest rate due to the outstanding loan with Credit Acceptance at the time I bought my new car.

Credit Acceptance does not work with you, there is NO empathy, and obviously no decent customer service. And the rep said to me, at the end of the phone call, that once I was done paying the $759, I could seek other car loan with them. You're insane. Not if you were the last predatory lender on earth. Oh, he also told me that I could use my tax return to pay it off. Thanks for the heads up guy!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I traded in a vehicle which was pd off but had to take out a 5000 loan. They have tried to repo my pickup 2 times prior to today. I have set up auto payments 2 different times but they didn't get the job done. Tonight when I got off work at midnight I walk out into the parking lot and my pickup is gone. I am so sick of this company. I've asked for my loan papers because they were giving me info that was different then the info I had in my hand, which I've never received from them. It's 15 below winds and I had to walk home. God only knows where my truck is tonight. I'm super pissed but should have been monitoring my acct daily. Don't expect to have to double check these fools the 2nd time. Do not go through this company. I know times get hard and things happen which put us at risk without credit. But try and find a company that cares about their customers just a little.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Harassing racial comments! We had to change our banking information relative to fraud. While trying to explain our situation we were unable to explain but due to very hateful and racial comments made by multiple customer service representatives. Life happens to everyone, there needs to be level of understanding when dealing with customers. This company and the people that represent this company are racist. They stereotype their customers giving no understanding to anyone that calls. I would encourage anyone to avoid this company and tell anyone they know to avoid this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I Purchased a vehicle financed through Credit Acceptance Corp in 2012. My credit was only around a 550 and I put 1000 on the car I bought. I made bi-weekly payments directly from my checking account and never missed one. During the 2 months out of the year when I received a 3rd paycheck I would call them and put a stop payment on my account with no problems. Warranty for my vehicle was through Flynn's for 2 years/24,0000. Even that was nice. Had to have my radiator replaced paid $120 only, needed a new fuel pump a separate time only $120. Pretty much everything was covered. Now I own my vehicle. If you can't afford to pay it don't buy it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

This is my first month having to make car payments to this company leeching off of people's financial misfortune and designed with the highest level of conartistry! After attempting to set up an automatic payment schedule I received an email saying that the payment schedule was successful and the amount listed would be drafted from my account. A few weeks later (2) I check my banking statement to notice that none of my payments were drafted from my account. I logged in and noticed that the payment had failed to drafter several days after I had scheduled the automatic payment. I received no phone calls no letters in the mail. Nothing. I had to call the institution in a frenzy to pay the overdue balance as my next monthly payment was nearly due. Not only were they trying to charge me the $16 late fee but a $10 fee to speak to a representative to handle the situation.

They also can't help you set up the automatic payments over the phone so I would have to log in every week and several days after the payment is due to make sure that it will be drafted from my financial institution. This cruddy not only has given me a nearly 20% (!!!!) interest rate but also can't seem to create a legitimate drafting process and has INSANE fees for paying over the phone or logging in onto the website. The only way to avoid processing fees is to schedule automatic payments and their system is complete crap. Mark my words as soon as I can refinance through a different bank I will be GONE from this wretched and despicable terribly organized, thieving company!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Signed a contract to buy a vehicle in October 2016. Wish I had done my homework ahead of time but I wasn’t told who the company even was until the contract had been drawn up and I was in dire need of a car. So, of course, I was thrilled at the moment. I learned the hardest way possible. This company is beyond bad! From October 2016 to March 2017 everything went pretty smoothly. In March 2017 my father, with whom I lived, died and I left my job at that time to move to Arizona. I had applied to get my retirement money from the place I had worked, hoping that I would get it before my next payment was due. I did not, and so it began.

Beginning the end of April I received harassing phone calls every day. I explained my situation, letting them know I was awaiting money and looking for full time employment. By the time I got the money, my car had been repossessed in May. As soon as I got the money I paid all the fees they said I had to pay to get my car back and catch up my payments. I went to the holding company and got my car without incident. I was unable to find full time employment in Arizona. I only worked a temp job until I decided that I couldn’t find a place to live there and make it on a temp position. So I came back to Virginia the end of June. It took me until the end of August to find full time employment, and by the time I started working, Credit Acceptance was once again harassing me daily. I asked them to work with me. My job was going to start August 28th and I would get a paycheck two weeks after that. They refused and they came and got the car again.

On August 30th I contacted Credit Acceptance to see what I needed to do to get my car back. A friend was willing to help. I was told I had to pay $677.00 to recover my car. I called back on August 30th and paid the $677.00 plus a $3 fee. I was placed on hold for approximately 15 minutes. When “Sherry” came back on the line she said that the auction house that had my vehicle could not be reached because of the Labor Day weekend. 09/05/17 I called back. A male rep said he couldn’t help me and I should wait 2 hours and call back. I waited over 3 hours and called back.

“Tasha” put me on hold while she contacted the auction house. She came back and said the auction house refused to release my car because they were replacing a damaged bumper. She wouldn’t give me contact information for the auction house even though I had paid what was demanded of me. (There were bumps and scratches all over the car when I bought it. The back bumper has a smudged scrape on it, but it’s not dented or broken.) I asked her why they were replacing the bumper and she said because it was damaged. I told her scratches, bumps and dings were on the car when I bought it. I asked who had authorized repairs and who would pay for them and she said I would. I told her I was not paying for any work that I had not authorized on that car and she said, “Yes you will. You don’t have to authorize anything and you will be responsible for the payment of repairs.” I got off the phone because I was getting nowhere.

I called back on Wednesday 09/06 and on Thursday 09/07 and was told the auction house would not release my car. I believed wholeheartedly that the car was auctioned and Credit Acceptance was scrambling to find it and get it back. They deny this. On 09/08/17 I called Credit Acceptance at 10:17 a.m. They said they couldn’t reach the auction house and I should call back in an hour. I called back at 1:33 p.m. and no one would answer my call. (They get your account information before your call is even transferred to a rep.) I could not get through until 5:15 p.m. at which time I was told the auction house was closed for the weekend; call back on 09/11.

On the eleventh day of this fiasco, I called Credit Acceptance at 1:00 p.m. and spoke with Sharon in Redemptions. She finally gave me the information I needed to go pick up the car. However, she first told me that I had an outstanding balance of $973.28 that could be added to my current payments over a 24 month period due on the 29th of each month. This brought my car payment up to 467.31 per month. I agreed. I picked my car up at the auction house on the afternoon of 09/11/2017. The auction house had a difficult time finding my car. Over an hour later when they brought it to me, the first thing I did was look at the bumper. The same damage was still there that had always been there. So I asked the man there what the deal was about me not getting my car for 11 days because they were replacing the bumper and yet it was the old bumper.

He called the admin office and asked about it and no one knew what he was talking about. He told me that it must have been a miscommunication with Credit Acceptance. I told him there was no miscommunication; Credit Acceptance had withheld the car from me for 11 days after I paid to get it back. By this time I just got in my car and left. On 09/29/17 I made my first newly arranged payment to Credit Acceptance through Western Union Speedpay of $467.31 and all seemed to be well. On 10/29/17 I went to Western Union Speedpay to make my second payment of $467.31 and the site would not accept my choice of date as it was a Sunday. A message popped up telling me to pick a business day’s date to make my payment, so I chose Monday, 10/30/17.

On Tuesday morning, 10/31/17, I received a call from Credit Acceptance and was told that I had breached the agreement and needed to pay over $861.00 and how would I like to take care of it. I told the man I was not past due and I explained what happened with Western Union Speedpay. He said that was not acceptable and I had breached the agreement, so I began to tell him again what had happened and he told me that if I would just calm down one minute he was going to do ME a favor of reinstating the agreement. I decided that for November I would not give Credit Acceptance any reason to accuse me again, so I went to Western Union Speedpay on 11/28/17 and made a payment of $467.31. Western Union Speedpay then processed another payment on 11/30/17.

I had deleted the auto payment for the 30th, so I went back onto Western Union Speedpay to see what had happened and the auto pay for the 30th was back on there as if I had not deleted it. I called my bank to request a stop payment for an unauthorized payment that I had already made in the 28th. Last week Credit Acceptance began calling me on a daily basis to say that I have again breached my agreement because I stopped payment at my bank for a payment to them. I told them that they got their payment on 10/28, a day before it was due and I stopped payment on an erroneous transaction with Western Union Speedpay. They told me it was their payment that I stopped and therefore I am still in breach of the agreement and I need to pay them $861.00 and change immediately. I have argued; I have tried nicely; and I have yelled and they will not back down.

They say I am in the wrong and they don’t want to discuss anything with me except the matter at hand. They don’t want to talk anymore about September or October. They won’t let me say anything to try to explain without cutting me off and saying that I need to listen and stop talking. When I do so and then I try again to tell them they have received my November payment earlier than the date it was due, they say that they can see what I have paid and when, and that I still stopped a payment at my bank that was theirs so I have broken my agreement. I told them it wasn’t their payment; I had already sent their payment, and it was in fact overdrawing my checking account, so I did stop it and then they start telling me that I am admitting I’m in the wrong. You can’t win with these people! I’ve read so many bad reviews of the exact same nature as mine and one person was absolutely correct when they said this company ruins lives.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

13 months ago with a credit score of 550 I was able to get a loan through them for 10000k, my interest rate is ridiculous... my fault not theirs. I have made every 322.00 payment on time or before... Never had them call, never even spoke to them or gotten mail from them. Today my credit score is 665. I hope to be out of this loan soon, but they gave me credit when no one else would.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Bought an ‘08 Pontiac G6 GT, amount was 12K after taxes, traded a car and put 2,500 down, that was in beginning of 2015. No less than a month into owning the car I had to spend some big bucks on replacements and repairs. I paid them $250 every month. In September of this year they reposed it, I called them several times between September and now and got several different BS excuses. One person told me it was reposted base solely on the financing fees. They sold the car at auction for 500. I got a notice in the mail that I now owe 4385, I called them up and was told there is no record that I called in October (which is BS) and that for 2500 they would take it off my credit report and that the car was not paid off.

So I did some research. Found an article on BBB about a lawsuit in Topeka, Kansas. I'm just going to get an attorney at this point. They obviously don't have anything together nor know their jobs. The representatives are rude as well. I would love to have my car because I do have two small children, but forget them and their corrupt business practice, I'll stick with walking the 20 minutes to the bus, and borrowing my friend's car until I get a new car and this BS resolved. I don't suggest doing any business with this company ever!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Had Credit Acceptance for two years, times got hard and I couldn't make a payment. That's when the true colors of this company came out with harassing phone calls, threats to take away the vehicle which eventually happened. They asked that I'd pay 500.00 to get the vehicle back which I could not do. 3 yrs later I get papers from a sheriff saying I'm being sued by Credit Acceptance. This company will ruin your life. Stay far away.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

In February my truck was repo because I was 32 days late. I was charged a recovery fee of 299.00. I paid extra every month to cover that fee until August. In October, I was 5 days late they picked it up again. I was informed the arrangement was voided because I was late. At this point the balance of 148.00 to my monthly bill. I paid 780.00 to recover my truck. There was another recovery fee added to my account. This happened 2 weeks ago and a payment was due on 11/22. I spoke with someone on 11/26 and told them I would pay the full balance. They repo my truck on 11/27. Now, I am receiving back to back calls daily. It seems they are just in busy to get the recovery fee instead of working with their customers.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

So back in July my husband and I had found a 2010 Dodge Avenger. They were selling this car for 6,000. They told us the only person who would finance us was Credit Acceptance which we said okay to and that the cost for the car would be nothing down. We get to the paper signing part and Credit Acceptance was trying to force us to pay almost 10,000 before interest on this car with 1,000 down. We decided we didn’t want the car anymore because that was ridiculous. So we left the dealership empty handed.

For the next CAC kept calling us telling us that they would knock the price down, so we decided to go and get the car because we needed a second car. 3 weeks later CAC was BLOWING my phone up telling us we were 3 months behind on payments and that they were going to come repossess the car. A week after that when our first payment was due, we had yet to get a payment book so I called them and was trying to find out what my payment was. They kept telling me they couldn’t find our account. So fast forward a week THEY CALLED EVERY SINGLE DAY MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY. But whenever I tried to return the phone calls they couldn’t find the account and were beyond rude. We finally received a payment book and the payments were over $600 a month.

So we paid the payment via the Western Union thing on the phone and they charged my bank double which overdrafted the account by 200. I called them polite as all hell trying to get them to send back one of the payments because I only made one. So I had to go put a stop payment at the bank and tried to get my money back. Well the bank successfully did that and CAC was LIVID. They had people calling me nonstop telling me they were taking the car if I didn’t make the payment right now. Well fast forward to two months after we got the car in August we were driving down the road and all the lights shut off on the car and the gauges stopped working. So we called to get it fixed via the warranty we paid extra for and guess what they kept playing phone tag with me. So I just let the car sit in the driveway broken down, called them three times a week, telling them to come get the piece of crap.

So fast forward three months they finally decided to come get the car and when I walked outside to give the guy who was repoing the car key he set his hand on the gun in his holster. Now mind you I don’t live in a bad neighborhood or a bad city. So I give him the key and he takes out the front end of the car when lifting it on the flat bed. So two weeks later I wasn’t making payments because I don’t have the car. They sold the car for 4,000 and told me I owed them 12,000. They tried to tell me I had to pay for the damages on the car. So needless to say I got a lawyer and I’m not going to stand being walked all over. NEVER GO THROUGH TO CREDIT ACCEPTANCE.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Thank you Credit Acceptance for repossessing my car for the third time since I've been with you guys. I've invested almost 6 grand into a car that I've had less than a year... The first time I was two months behind. And you came and got the car the second time I was one month behind and this time I was 4 days late... It has not been a full month that I've had my car back from the second repossession. Not even 3 weeks and you come take the car again. I wish I had my car to be thankful for... but this company really does suck. I have paid 659 less than 3 weeks ago. So now I'm guessing this will be what I have to pay to get my car back. Smh. And that's not including the bogus storage fee that they may charge for not cleaning out my car and saying they did.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I was barely behind ONE payment and was getting a bonus in less than 10 days to get everything caught up... and they came and got my car the night I made a partial payment. They are mostly horrible to talk to on the phone and they have no grace whatsoever. Never had this problem with them before and I cannot wait to walk away from them if I can. The car is almost two hours away from me to go pick up after paying them over $800.00 to get my car. I just pray there isn't some hidden fee when I get there to pay the car lot because I will lose my mind. DO NOT USE CREDIT ACCEPTANCE TO FINANCE A VEHICLE IF YOU THINK YOU MAY GET ONE PAYMENT BEHIND. How can they sleep at night?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I never had any serious issues with this company other than the warranty. They promised me covered everything...actually covered absolutely nothing. In the 4 years I had it not a single problem was covered other than the transmission I had to have rebuilt one year after I purchased the car. And I paid extra for the superior high tech warranty. I had many many many problems with the vehicle in the first 2 years. It’s a miracle it is still running. I knew going in I was going to pay nearly 20,000 for a 12000 car...but that is the price you pay for having poor credit. I was lucky enough to have a good paying stable job in this economy so I was fortunate to be able to pay it off this past week...but looking back I would suggest building your credit on your own for a few years while you get by with a better car until you are ready to buy a car from a reputable dealer with a better credit score to save you a lot of money in the long term. Yes the warranty is bogus!!!

Credit Acceptance Corp Company Information

www.creditacceptance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use