1.30/5
Based on 121 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a loan company?

Last updated: April 20, 2018

534 Credit Acceptance Corp Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 20, 2018

They are saying multiple payments have not been made. Every payment has been made. I jumped through their hoops. I was told to send bank statements and then was told those weren't good enough. Told to send a letter from the bank then that wasn't good enough. I was told that they couldn't find the payment and neither could Western Union and there was nothing else they could do. The bank contacted Western Union and payments were found. I sent that proof along with all of the other proof to the corporate headquarters and have contacted them.

Now they have cashed 2 more checks and are saying that they have not received those payments. I was told over two weeks ago that I would be contacted within 3 days. This did not happen. I called again today and was told that I had to leave a message because the legal department was not available. This was after I was told that I need to pay 1900.00 today. I have spent over 30 hours trying to straighten this out. My husband's credit has taken a huge hit because of this company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Credit Acceptance got my title to my car lost in the mail, then cost me extra money to get a duplicate copy. I called asking for them to refund at least half of what I had to spend and was told it's not their problem. The original title should have been sent certified to make sure it was reaching the correct person. Now I'm out money and pissed off. Thanks Credit Acceptance for that great experience.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 6, 2018

I was going to be late with a payment although it was coming directly out of my account. I called to tell them this and they said, "Okay... not a problem. Call us back when the check comes back NSF and we'll take care of it." "Not to worry", they said. Okay, so when it does - they call me - a very rude collections guy. He threatens me while I'm at the doctor's office. I tell him where I'm at and tell him it's not a good time to talk - I ask if he could call me back or can I call him back - he's getting even ruder and says 'well your account will still be in collections.' He says, "We'll come tow your car!" I'm shocked as I can't understand why - because I'm late on one pay - the first time in almost a year.

Really - wow - how can you be so rude and hateful when I called you guys first to make arrangements. It's not like I'm ducking your phone calls or the payment. Well, of course, I call the number he called from but it doesn't connect. So I call customer service and this female tells me I can make a $50 payment to hold it until I can make the full payment again. Yeah, no I wouldn't advise anyone to do business with Credit Acceptance. They are strictly about the dollar and not about the customer. I hate them too. I still look for them to come get the car although I've made the scheduled payment just because I told them they suck.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Bought a car 5 months ago and was making payments on time each month and they still sent out bills saying that I owed thousands of dollars. This company is a ripoff and I wish never got with them. I went outside to take out the trash and my car was gone. I was pissed and devastated. When I called them they said I didn’t make my payments when the money was coming out of my account I had proof and they still said I owed. This company is the worst. Do yourself a favor and run. Go with someone else.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I used Credit Acceptance to finance my truck, they have very high interest rates and any vehicle you buy will have a high payment. If you use them carefully and pay on time and pay the rest of your bills you can refinance in a year with another bank. Be picky on the car you choose, do research and get the vehicle checked out. If you know or even think the payment will be tough to handle dont use them. You will only hurt yourself. Just because they approve you for that fancy sports car doesnt mean you can afford it. Pay your bill on time every time youll have zero issues, make late payments they will repo and charge you big fees. They did help me boost my credit up, it was expensive but worth it in the long run.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit Acceptance Corp?

Original review: March 28, 2018

OH MY... so I just paid off my car in full with a $3900 balance. I've had it for nearly 3 years, about a 24% interest rate (yeah, I know, I was desperate). It's a 2003 Buick Regal that when bought was in okay shape - bought for $6k on a $4k loan. 3 years later I paid off $3900 today, didn't make a DENT in my starting balance all these years. I did the math and I've paid $9500 for this car and STILL paid it off early. These people suck, stay away. Far far away.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Had a leak in the transmission so I took it to the shop to get fix. I told them I had warranty, I have been wait 2 weeks on the claim to come in and it's still not fix yet?? They said at the shop it takes 2 or 3 days to get claim back, but mine has been more than 2 weeks and still nothing.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I understand at the end of the day I should not have agreed to finance with this company when I signed off the paperwork. At the time I had bad credit and needed a reliable vehicle to make the 30 mile commute to work. Being a year in though on a car with 121k miles. I cannot even refinance with a decent company now that my credit is getting better. This is because of Credit Acceptance's absolutely absurd interest rates. No bank will look at me. And CA does not offer their own refinance options. Find a different answer to getting a car and do NOT finance through this company.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I've had a loan with this company since 2014. I've paid over 19k off my 23k loan. Today my car got repossessed for a 50 short pay. I was on a payment plan paying $225 every 2 weeks. When I logged into the portal to pay my bill, it no longer have me an option to pay a partial amount. Only gave me the option to pay $398. So I paid the amount they told me to pay online. So two weeks go by to today. I walk outside to go to work and my car is gone... I call Credit Acceptance and they inform me I have broken my contract. I told them their new website would not let me make a partial payment. The lady proceeds to tell me I am wrong repeatedly. That it's my fault for not paying attention to the new website. Then proceeds to tell me the only way I can get my car back is to pay $650 even though I just paid them $400 2 weeks ago.

I asked if I could set up a payment plan to pay off $650 of Fees they've assessed for my $50 short pay. They tell me, "No, you have to pay the full amount or we will auction your car". I then asked her if this is a joke and should I retain a lawyer. Then she starts yelling at me telling me I'm now threatening to sue Credit Acceptance and she is opening up a legal tab. I say, “Seriously? Can you just tell me where my car is so I can get my stuff out of it?” She then tells me, “No sir! I can't release any more information to you, this is a legal issue now.” Then kept asking me for my lawyer’s information and wouldn't even tell me where my at is located. This is unacceptable and affects my family's well being. My wife is having a baby in less than a month... I don't know what to do, they've totally screwed my life up over $50. Anyone have any advice on what I should do in this situation???

Original review: March 7, 2018

Credit Acceptance is the worst company in the world!!! Stay Away!!! My payments come directly out of my bank account and this company has repoed my car 4 months in a row!!! I PAID MY PAYMENTS!! They did waive the fees but it is the biggest hassle to be without your car for a week that they keep it and it's frustrating to talk to these people who seem to know nothing!!! Every person I ever talked to says something different that contradicts the last rep. Stay far away from this company!!! I want out of this contract!!! I think better yet, I'll just seek an attorney for lost wages, theft (cause they're stealing my car), harassment, breach of contract, and maybe a little pain and suffering!!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

I got a loan thru them and it's been hell. They repoed my car two times and I got it back both times. Now I owe 3000.00. Like why do I still have my car if I owe this!!! Then when you try to make payment arrangements they want to know why you behind. Like jobs are not guaranteed. Your financial situation can change at any point of your life. But how this company make you pay this high interest than your actual loan is crazy and it's not worth the aggravation.

I only have a 2012 Honda civic with high mileage at this point but they want me to pay 450.00 because I owe the 3000.00 past due and my current which is 369.73. This company don't fix your credit whatsoever it damage your credit. Today they are on my credit as a write-off but currently I still have my car and I'm currently still making payments. They are basically robbing me so beware. Stay away from this company!!! I already paid close to 12,000 dollars towards my car this car is basically paid for!!! Currently I'm trying to get out of this loan asap!!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

Credit Acceptance is the worst credit company in the United States. They are scammers. If you can join a credit union and finance thru them. I had my vehicle for 2 years, paid over $15,000 on my vehicle and was late on my payment 11 days and they repoed my vehicle. I was highly upset so I went and traded that vehicle in because I didn't like how they handle their customers. Every time I had to speak with a rep there I always and I repeat always had to deal with a smart and nasty rep. I Hate this Company and they have and are still trying to scam me outta thousands of dollars saying for a repo fee which was $260 but the interest on that $260 was $4,469.29. I HATE THIS COMPANY. STAY AWAY. I REPEAT. STAY AWAY. CREDIT ACCEPTANCE CORP ARE THE BIGGEST SCAMMERS IN THIS COUNTRY.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I wish I had a more detailed description of the payments I've made. Every time I look at the amount due it happens to go up (after making my payment). Lol. Their customer service sounds like a bunch of uneducated foreigners that haven't been fed for 2 weeks - extremely unpleasant to speak with. They will demean you and try to make you scared. It's pathetic. STAY FAR AWAY.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My experience was one of the worst. That I can say, I never want anyone to fall victim of unjust business practices. Credit Acceptance not only called in the loan I was given in Feb/2014-10/2017 after I paid for the car, the principal and most of the interest but tried to give me a song and dance when I discovered that my payment history was inaccurate. Bottom line they took the car after making a payment arrangement for what agreed upon, and wanted double to give it back. I did report them. It was my reaction too. IF ANYONE FILES A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT SIGN ME UP!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Beware. They will rob you. I paid almost double in interest for my truck. They send out stubs stating pay before this date pay a certain amount. Pay after this date which is 10 days later pay this amount which is $5 more. So I always paid within that 10 days. Come to find out they tack on extra interest if not paid by the first date. Which is like $25.00. I had no clue and been paying for 4 years like this!!! You think someone would have called and explained this to me. So I call to pay the truck off thinking I only owe a little more and then they explain all this to me. So I owe an extra $1000.00 because that's not a grace period. Oh I was mad. Never again. I paid $17,000 for a $9000.00 truck. Shame on me.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

It was back in 1989, I paid almost 2,000 down on a 5,000 Chevy Chevette car from credit acceptance... I was late making a payment, almost two months behind, they came and repossess the car... Mind you, this was in 1989. Now, in 2016, they are coming after me, sent me a garnishment court letter to take state taxes, they took 2016 and 2017 state taxes. I tried to stop it, because it’s been almost 30 years... but judge said he can’t do anything about it. They have been paid for this vehicle triple times over. I’m devastated. I can’t believe they can do this. I thought the stature of limitations has run out!!! Somebody PLEASE tell me if anything can be done to stop these people?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I was in desperate need of a vehicle, didn't think I was screwing myself, anyway these people repossessed my car without even calling letting me know that they wasn't receiving the payment from my bank account. I was supposedly 2 months behind and had to pay 593 to get my car back plus I had to pay $20 to the tow man… they gave me the runaround before they released my vehicle. I just started working a new job and my car note was due Friday which was Feb 16. I told them I will have their money the upcoming Friday. MY car note was only 249 a month now it's 327.

I called to let them know I'll have it. Them ** said I owe 600 sum dollars for late fees. I'll drive a bicycle to work before I pay that much amount for a 08 Malibu. They said they gone deactivate the car and repo it. They are a rip-off, because my bank statements showed they got the money...!! WHEN THEY COME PICK UP THE CAR THE ONLY THING THEY WILL HAVE IS A FRAME!! THEY ACT LIKE I’M IN A BENZ!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I purchased my 2004 Cadillac CTS back in 2016 of August. I’ve made payments with Credit Acceptance on time for each month. One day I got a call saying I basically qualified for lower payments. Turning $250 monthly payments a month to now $150 a month. I asked if they could send me an agreement through mail saying it’ll $150 from here on out. They agreed and never sent it. Another problem I’m upset about was my date each month that I was suppose to pay. Come to find out it wasn’t the 16th of each month like I asked multiple times and they agreed again but it was the 10th every month. They blew my phone up demanding payments when I pay on time! My credit score dropped 66 points!! I’m very upset and so fed up with Credit Acceptance! Please give me a call so I can discuss this matter to someone that’ll listen and understand! Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

They mislead the customer into believing they can pick their payment date then they harass you for being only a day late. I believe they do this in order to get you to do autopay option. At just one late payment they begin harassing you by threatening to affect your credit score. I was only one day late on a payment and they reported against my credit. Never again will I purchase a car by them. I’ll walk!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

This was the absolute worst banking/financial institution ever. We had to use them at first because our credit wasn't great... It wasn't bad either. They would call at least 12-30 times a day and started the morning of the due date. Horrible, horrible, rude, nasty customer service individuals. These people should be ashamed of their selves. Finally got refinanced at my bank and when I tried to pay off the truck they want me to pay a fee for every $2000 and got rude as hell when I explained to them I just he the pay off. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY. Absolutely the worst.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I purchased a 2006 Audi A3 back in 2014. The warranty they sold me was garbage. Clutch went. Mechanic butchered my car in the sum of $10k plus. Up to that point I was consistent with my payments. At the time of repossession I had paid Credit Acceptance $12,236 for a car that booked for $5,375. They want another $6,900 to get it back plus the $400 repo bill. I would recommend buying a cash car and work on repairing your credit. This is predatory lending at its finest. Legal theft.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My old car was leaking gas. The cost to fix it was worth getting a new one. I had bad credit, foreclosure, bankruptcy, late payments, and a divorce. I sat in a chair at a car dealership while they look for someone to finance me. It took almost an hour. The only one who took a chance on me was Credit Acceptance Corp. I had my car for 7 months. Then my rent went up to market value uggh. I figured I could just be 2 weeks late with my car lease payment. Phone calls started coming in. I decided to come to this site and check and see the reviews of their financing techniques etc. I was horrified! I kept reading myself sick. I was 7 days late while I await looking for an apt.

I went home and thought about everyone here. I couldn't sleep, I kept checking on my car at night. Then finally went to sleep. I woke up. Was so glad to see my car there still. I rushed and made my payment. Just so you know. I DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. But, grateful they gave me a loan. Maybe high interest. But, they were the ONLY ones who would finance me. I wouldn't finance myself. LOL. I'm sorry for ones who had such bad experiences. It wasn't the case for me. I do wonder why my dealer said to me when I was approved. Don't be late. Now I know... We all have life challenges. Don't let your pride get in the way. Ask for help, family or friends, church etc... and, do not live beyond your means. They are a BUSINESS. And, I'm truly blessed and grateful they financed my horrible credit. LOL. :)

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I was scammed honestly, I have agreements between myself and the lender as well as the deal, there was no reason for financing to fall through. Yet, the dealership came and took my car so I called Credit Acceptance since that’s who I’m ALREADY PAYING. They said the contract was closing but no explanation of why it closed, then proceeded on to say I was only “pre-approved” but sent me a welcome letter, coupons to make my payments, and happily accepted my payments and put itself on my credit report like if I was approved. If I had known financing through them was a LIE I would have walked away from the dealership and gone elsewhere instead of charging more miles and days on a car that was not going to be mine and got my downpayment and my trade in car back when I had the chance. Now I’m out my downpayment and my trade in car because I was lied to by not only this company but also by the dealership I went to.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Oh boy this will be a long one. Okay so I am 20. I purchase my first vehicle on 06/18/16 from Drivetime. 2014 Ford Fiesta financed thru BridgeCrest. These MFS sold me basically a lemon. My car broke down several times starting on 09/30/2017, barely a year. I had auto payments set up semi-weekly. My note was $433 a month so $214 every two weeks. I called my finance company which dont get me wrong they had a great warranty program. Only a $100 deductible, I called to ask if they had a loaner vehicle because the place that fixed my car had it for 3 weeks.

They had to replace the whole engine. by then I really wanted a new vehicle because that sucked but once I got it out the shop I was okay again until a 2 weeks later, Brakes went out, tires need replacing (basic stuff) and the blazing gun was the transmission went out. I was furious. Too much for me to only have the car for a year. Bridgecrest was not helpful. Never been late on a payment, did what I was suppose to and they screwed me. So now if I keep the car you think of other options refinancing, trading in, etc etc. So I attempted to refinance. Nope not gonna work. Then I attempted to trade it in several times. Car purchased at $13,000 financed for $17,000 in total with a interest of 14% would be paying $25,000 for a 2014 ford fiesta -_-, my leftover loan is $14,000 and get this my car trade in value is only $4,000.

Oh yes. I am very pissed. Ill be $10,000 upside down, nobody wants to finance me. Tried a few cosigners nothing. So I came along. A guy at Planet Ford. explained my situation and he said, "Dont worry about it imma get you in car," which every dealership said the same thing. He told me he found a bank but I needed $3,000 down thats including registration. So I got my grandpa to give me the money. Mind you I am still paying for this dang on Ford Fiesta. So new vehicle is with credit acceptance. I am happy to get a new car but I am waiting on the payment info and the interest rate.

It was reasonable. I guess I would now be in a 2015 Ford Focus payments of $388 monthly ext warranty plus I can trade it in 2 years. I will say this to anyone who has a Ford car be careful. Those Fords should all come with ext warranty on the transmission. They have very faulty transmission. If one is not offered to you DONT ACCEPT THE LOAN. I made my first payment of $388 to credit acceptance this past weekend. I spoke with a rep to turn on my semi monthly payments because it's easier to me. I keep all my documents and I record phone conversations. I see so much negative reviews for this company. I hope I dont have a bad experience.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

#creditacceptance Wow I can say so much but I will make a long story short! They approved me for a loan. I was behind $160. They never made attempt phone calls. They just came repo'd my car. I set up a pay date, they still moved my car to auction all the way to Flint from Detroit and held me responsible for going to pick it up after I had to come up with my late payment $160 tow fee of $260 and late fees plus pay to have it towed back!! For something that is suppose to help build your credit is designed to keep you in debt. Say no to Credit Acceptance!!! They're frauds in disguise.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

My mom, dad, brother and myself all got cars the same day at this little dealership in April. We all were financed through Credit Acceptance. We made all our payments on time for 3 months. My brother passed away without life insurance. Called, tried to explain, they didn’t care so for the next 2 payments we made partial payments so we didn’t fall too far behind. My gram ending up passing away shortly after while still making payments on my brother's funeral. Now we have to pay for my gram's. We were so in over our heads we couldn’t even make the partial payments for the next 2 months. We had went out of town for 2 months. Left our cars in the driveway so they could take them if they felt the need. Got harassed saying we were hiding the cars so they couldn’t repo them when they were sitting in our driveway so we ended up coming home early to make sure nothing happened to the cars.

Get home they're fine. Still sitting there. They call me all day 15-20 times a day off like 6 different numbers. I feel no need to answer after being falsely accused and harassed for months straight. Now the cars are still sitting in my driveway. We still use them everyday and have not made a payment in months because when we try says the accounts are closed and I won’t call in to talk to their poor excuse for a manager. They have no sympathy for anyone. They are ruthless. Don’t get me wrong we would love to keep our cars but at this point the only way to do it would be if they refinanced our loans and gave us a fresh start.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I knew I was about to get behind on my car payments, I had just had surgery and had to take a couple weeks off. I called them and let them know and it was supposed to have been set up for me, but the night before I was going to make my payment, repo guy pulled my car from my yard. I had to pay double my monthly payment just to get my car back and on top of that, they raised my monthly 60$ for 10 months. Saying I was behind that much. I was 3 weeks behind when my car was repoed, so screw Credit Acceptance. They suck.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I purchased a car for $4,995 at Hoffman Bros. Used Cars located in Laurel, MD, while I put down a payment of $2,500 my car was financed by Credit Acceptance Corporation, I got approved for a monthly payment of $169.89 per month for 48 months. Unknowingly a warranty of around $3,000 was added, I called to have the warranty removed. I was given a loan for double of the asking price.

I called to discuss what had happened to my $2,500 down payment, the dealer attempted to double talk me, I then contacted Credit Acceptance Corporation with the same question, the representative stated that she didn't know what happened to the down payment. She stated that the amount financed is what was reported to them by the dealer. I then called Hoffman Bros. back, to again ask where'd the down payment go and how is that I owed over $8,000 on a car that was selling for only $4,995 excluding tags, title, dealer fees, etc. minus a $2,500 down payment that somehow "disappeared." After a year of payments, it is said that I still owe over $1,800. I advise anyone to not purchase from Hoffman Bros. or get financing Credit Acceptance.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I had purchased a car using Credit Acceptance- due to my own fault, I had a low credit score and they were the only ones willing to give me a loan. I made all my payments on time for 2 years, but due to unforeseeable events, I fell behind 4 payments. My car was repossessed- I cannot blame the company- I fell behind and they waited 4 months. I called Credit Acceptance to try and get my car back- they told me I have been on time and have put a lot of money into the car, and they'd like to work with me to keep the car.

They allowed me to make a partial payment rather than the entire amount I was behind on and released the car to me the same day. Of course repossession is horrifying, embarrassing and beyond stressful, but I truly felt that Credit Acceptance was very lenient with me and wanted to work with me- I felt the customer service rep was very respectful to me. I called, explained I understand it was my fault and why, and asked what I could do. Communicate calmly with them (I understand how hard it is to be calm when you walk outside and your car is gone) and I truly believe they will try and work with you.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I got the car 06/2017, had to change jobs and called them to allow them to know I will pay on the 15th instead of the 5th. I was rudely talked to, inquired if the co-signer could do it and allowed to know that there was no grace period. After reading the reviews, I wish that I had known this sooner. They need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau. I am sadden and wish they were better to their account holders. I have paid every month more and before the due day and this one time, this is what they do???

Credit Acceptance Corp Company Information