1.01/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citizens One

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Citizens One Reviews

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Beware. Citizens One sends out advertisements for so called "prequalified" personal loans and is guilty of false advertisement. This is because they have no intention of actually lending any money. They are basically running a scam to gain your financial information. I received one of these prequalified invitations to apply for a loan at a certain low interest rate, which I should have qualified for because my credit is excellent. I was initially approved for a loan under $14,000. However, the interest rate was considerably higher than what was advertised (bait and switch scam). I should have known then that something wasn't right. However, I continued and spoke with a customer service agent who walked me through the steps of signing a promissory note, truth in lending act, and linking my bank account for disbursement of funds and so that my payment could be deducted from my checking out.

The last thing I heard from them was a missed cell phone call that went to my voice mail concerning verification of the loan to see if it was really me who applied. Then all communication with Citizens One ceased. I received no emails and no funds were ever deposited to my account. You can't contact the verification department so I called customer service only to be told by some of the rudest employees I have ever encountered that they have changed their mind and have decided to turn down the loan. And here is the real kicker... They refuse to tell me why! They said a rejection letter will be sent out in about a month.

So how much sense does this actually make? Why is it an acceptable business practice to approve a loan, stop communicating with the customer, and then turn the loan down with no notice? Also, my credit score is in the 740s with an excellent and well established payment history, I make good money, and I even have a mortgage with Citizens One, which I am always on time with my payments. I wasn't asking for a lot of money and the terms were short. I should have been the ideal candidate for this loan but was turned down anyway after first being approved. I also see that there are numerous accounts from others online who have fallen victim to this same scam. If you see any of these advertisements in the mail from Citizens One, THROW THEM AWAY!

Citizens One has the responsibility to cease with the publication of such false advertising, to engage in more ethical business practices, and to make better and more informed decisions when it comes to approving personal loans. Because of this recent fiasco with Citizens One, I am currently seeking to refinance my mortgage with another lender because I believe that if a company cannot properly handle personal loans, they most assuredly cannot manage an escrow.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Worst business ever to work with. My home loan switched to Citizens One, got charged twice for the amount for $1302 for month of November 2019 for my mortgage and tried to get it returned back to my bank acct to no luck. I called several times thru the week and no one was able to help me. Every time I called it always a different person so basically I start from the beginning every time.

It been a week and half now and my money isn't even returned to my acct. They tell me they need my bank info, bank statements and written request to fax it to them and they don't even tell me that they didn't receive, faxed over so many times and they still claim they never got it. I told them then I want to send over email, I sent it. No response back at all on the status.

Worst business to work with, if I had a choice I would not be with them. I recommend people not to go with them. Please if you do I suggest doing everything locally so you can walk into their business and get it taken care of. I literally hate this company with a passion. Stalling me and my time pretending to help me get this fix which I think on their end they aren't, it's not their problem and they got their money. They don't care about you. I have to thru 2 weekends without proper expense, had to stop my life because basically they stole my money. They don't care if you cant buy food for your family or have other Bills that need to be paid or that you need gas to get to and from places. I got sick and tired of working with them so I called my bank and let them deal with it, my bank will me get my money back at least I know that for a fact. Don't ever do business with Citizens One. Bad customer service, bad response, if I could I would give them a negative 5 stars.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

This place is a scam! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. I applied for a loan, which came back as approved. I received an email saying they will call me to verify to make sure I am the person who applied for the loan. Waited all day without a single call from them. Then I received another email saying my loan has been declined because they are unable to verify if I am who I am. I called the customer service number and was transferred multiple times and each time I had to provide personal information for verification. Then I asked why nobody called to verify me and I was told that they don't make outbound calls, which is a complete LIE. Their email clearly says that someone will call me. SCAM ARTISTS. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. I will dispute the hard inquiry they placed on my credit report and report them to the BBB.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Never ever go for anything to this bank even if they are the last one on the planet. It was my rotten luck to have initially gone with this bank for my auto loan. They have no idea what is customer service. They do not call you back, they do not respond to online messages, twitter messages or emails. Bottom line, do not go with the bank.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My husband and I recently moved and Citizens One was where our mortgage was sold after closing. I paid my first month's payment as I do all my bills via online through my bank. The first payment got there. The second month was pulled from my account but Citizens One claims they never received it. They began calling my husband's work and said "that's weird" when I called and told them the payment left my account and was accepted by them! In a dispute with my bank attempting to send them payment confirmation when next month was due so I went to get a certified check to send them for my October payment.

Just received paperwork that they "have a right to invoke foreclosure based on the terms of your mortgage contract." Upon calling to discuss this, and waiting on hold forever, the automated message says they still have not received my October payment that I mailed two weeks ago as a certified check! When will the madness end!? I have paid all three months of my new mortgage on time and more than the minimum. This bank is trash and I better not have a hit on my credit because of them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I'm an 100% disabled veteran who has all my major bills paid by my bank NFCU, once a month on the 1st; I am charged misc. fees, & receive past due notices & inconsistent % charged on my loan. Frustrated!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

The personal loans site has a page to make one-time payments and to payoff your loan. The form on the page does not function. On submit, you get the following message: paymentAmount must be of the form "99999999.999". This message has been present for 6 months (at least). I spoke with a customer service representative, he confirmed this is a known issue, they have no timeline to fix it, and could not tell me about their process to get it on a backlog.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

All I see is bad reviews about this bank. Mine was not exception. Can all of us get together to formally sue this bank. They sent me to collections for a $38 balance on a car loan that I ended up returning the very next day because I didn't agree with the dealership to purchase their GAP. I called the bank and they told me they can't do anything and I had to pay or be sent to collection...and they did...Can we all do something about this bank and take this further and not just post bad reviews.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I moved from Ohio to New Mexico and had to make numerous requests for a Lien holder Title. Only to find out that Citizens One state change requests are processed by a third party and they charge $36.00 to process and release your title to the DMV. I began this process in July 2019 and have still not been able to register my vehicle in October 2019. I spoke with Citizens One and the third party, My Title Support, today and was told it would be another 6 weeks. My temporary registration runs out every 30 days, which means I will have to sit at the DMV at least 2-3 more times. I will be looking to refinance my car as soon as possible. I do not recommend working with Citizens One or their fishy "third party."

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Our home loan was sold to Citizens One. Every month they processed our payment incorrectly so we had to call and waste 30-45 minutes on the phone. Everyone was pleasant, they just do not know anything about loans, how to make corrections or look up something on the computer. One month, while calling to have the payment corrected Again....my husband had to explain to a nice lady there how a payoff amount is calculated. In the past 3 months we have paid off this loan instead of another with higher interest just so we do not have to deal with the aggravation each month. I am sure it will be a long wait for the deed and 100+ from escrow.

Citizens One Company Information