Find a Mortgages partner

2. Mortgages

1.1/5 (169 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Citizens One

Citizens One offers mortgage and refinancing services. With multiple loan options available, Citizens One helps consumers find low-rate mortgages or refinance their current loans.

Pros

• Refinancing available
  • Personalized advice
  • One-on-one support

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

Citizens One offers mortgage loans, refinancing services, personal loans and home improvement loans. Find out if you qualify by visiting the company's website.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Citizens One?

Citizens One is a lender that has multiple types of mortgages and loan programs to choose from, including adjustable-rate mortgages, FHA loans, VA loans and doctor loans.

Find out if you qualify for a Citizens One mortgage by visiting its website and filling out the prequalification application. During prequalification, you find out how large of a loan you’re eligible for and what mortgage payment best fits your budget. The amount depends on the following factors:

• Debt-to-income ratio
  • Credit history
  • Credit score
  • Employment history
  • Savings
  • Down payment

Once you’ve applied and received your loan approval, Citizens One connects you with a loan specialist who works with you to create a personalized loan plan.

Citizens One rates and fees

Citizens One doesn’t advertise its mortgage rates, but you can fill out the “Check Rates” tool on its website to get a quote. To get an accurate view of Citizens One’s interest rates and fees, you must provide the following information:

• Loan purpose
  • City
  • Property use
  • Property type

Citizens One FAQ

How do I pay off my Citizens One loan?
You can pay off your Citizens One loan online or from your phone with its mobile app. You can also have your mortgage payment automatically removed from your bank account each month.
Are Citizens Bank and Citizens One the same?
Citizens One is Citizens Bank’s lending business that operates outside of states with Citizens Bank branches.
Is Citizens One a reputable company?
Yes, Citizens Financial Group Inc., which owns Citizens One, is one of the largest and oldest financial institutions in the nation.

Is Citizens One legit?

Citizens One has multiple loan options, but it’s not available in every state. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender that has online and in-store services, visit Citizens One to apply. It also doesn't advertise its rates, which makes it more difficult to compare its loans against what other companies offer.

Citizens One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: July 29, 2021

I had no choice but to go with this company as my local lender sold my mortgage. I get it. That's what they do. BUT OMG. This company is useless. I have been calling since December 2020 to have my loan modified. It's now July 29 and I am STILL waiting. I have called every week for the last 7 months and get told something different every single time. My account has been "escalated" 3 times in the last month and STILL no phone call, no follow up, no email, NOTHING. I can't even refinance because of the status they have put my account in while we wait for an answer. I'm absolutely trapped and it's completely their fault for being incompetent. Seven months I've been waiting for an answer! It's absurd.

Original review: July 16, 2021

My auto loan was sold to Citizens One and after the issues I'm having with them I'm looking into switching loan companies. I've been making auto draft payments from my bank account for the past 3 years and suddenly my bank account information was no longer in their system and my auto payment didn't go through. I was then sent a letter that unbeknownst to me I was incurring late charges. Their online system wouldn't allow me to sign up for auto draft payments and said the account was uneligible, even though it had been eligible for years.

I called their customer service and kept getting transferred to the bill collection department even though I'd already made a payment. Whatever call service they use to connect you to India has terrible reception and it's already hard enough to understand non-native English speakers. We had a very difficult time understanding each other and it took 45 minutes to resolve a simple issue that should have taken less than 5. Very frustrating and I'm tired of speaking to unintelligble foreign call centers.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2021

So I got this loan a year ago in August as we got Vivint security systems and this place is a joke! I paid my loan off two days before my auto pay was suppose to come out on 6.12.2021. I paid the left over amount on 6.10.21. They told me that my regular payment couldn't be stopped and that it was to close as it was auto payment in two days. I was fine with that. Then they told me that I would receive a paper in email stating, "Good job. Your loan was paid off." Then they decided to just have my pay on the 6.10.21 be my month payment even though that was not my discussion and they record the lines. So this is a joke.

So now I still owe for July cause I just got an email and was able to finally get a hold and they still haven taken the final payment out like they said. I can't stop it yet again cause we are two days away from auto pay. Even though I told them to remove me after the payment in 6.12.21 was done. The place is a scam all the way around. I WILL NEVER YOU USE THEM AGAIN!!!! The bank is worse than ALLY BANK!!!! THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING!!!!

Original review: June 25, 2021

We have a loan w/ Citizens One that in my experience is about as predatory as a loan can get. Statements usually arrive about 10 days after the statement date, which gives you about a 5 day window to get the check to them. Late charge revenue is the goal with these derps and they are pretty good at generating it, I imagine. This is a garbage loan to get yourself into and if at all possible, look to work with your local banks or another lending source if you are told the "good people" at Citizens One want to handle your loan.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I had a situation where I applied for credit through Walmart partnership with Citizens ONE. I was fully approved but was unable to complete the purchase as it kept getting flagged as fraudulent. Essentially there was no way to complete the transaction and they ran my credit under false pretense. I was guaranteed a product if I was to be approved for financing. I was approved and unable to purchase the intended product. When I called in for assistance I could not believe that I was actually talking to an employee of Citizens ONE. They were completely useless, rude, insulting and utterly disinterested.

Original review: April 1, 2021

This bank is the most unscrupulous mortgage company I have ever dealt with. The customer services agents are probably not in the United States, and really don't care about resolving any issues. I signed up for the covid forbearance program for 90 days, and for the past 6 months they have refused to remove me from the program. I have called several times to have my account taken off forbearance with no success. I have made several payments on time for the past 3 months and spoken to at least 20 agents requesting my account be returned back to normal, with no success. The 3 payments I have made has not been applied to my account, and I just received a alert from my credit monitoring bureau stating my mortgage balance has increased. How does one's mortgage principal increase when I'm in forbearance?

I have tried calling their customer service for accounting and assistance, but they give me conflicting responses. A simple request to have an electronic recipe of my payments have been ignored for the past 3months and they keep saying there is further document needs to be signed beside the partial claim that I already signed, notarized, according to the letter that I received no further documents requested after I signed, until now my payment's in the suspended account. I requested the FedEX tracking and haven't provided it to me and whenever I request to speak with manager; they say no manager available; they keep on hold for an hour. I just googled this bank, and noticed similar complaints by other customers, so there is obviously something extremely wrong going on at this bank. I will be contacting the consumer protection agency about this bank. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!!!!

Original review: March 24, 2021

If you want to refinance your home I definitely would not recommend Citizens One! We started our refinancing with them in October 2020 because we have our current mortgage with them. It was February 2021 and we still did not have a closing date. First they came back and told us we needed another heat source so we put a mini split in then they came back and told us that wasn’t good enough. That we need an electric baseboard.

The communication was terrible. They also appraised our house for 179,000. Our house appraised at almost that much when we first bought it 6 yrs ago and we did about $30,000 in remodeling. After speaking with management and not getting any help on why it was taking so long to refinance we decided to go with another company (Cross Country Mortgage.) One month later we have a closing date and our house appraised at 205,000. Sadly we are out the money that we gave citizens one for our appraisal. So please save your money and time, do not go with citizens one!

Original review: March 18, 2021

Sadly Citizen's One in RI. Has been a disaster. Home Equity Loan paid every month since '08. Citizens attempts to change the date of payment. Bank employee initiated an unauthorized advance to my a/c.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Citizens One did not pay my property taxes. After reaching out to them, sending the tax bill 2 times and sending a letter to the president of home loans, I finally had to go and pay the taxes myself. They sent an escrow refund and assigned a customer advocate. She does not answer the phone or return calls. Customer service can't help. Now I'm afraid I will have the same experience with my insurance due in April. I'm requesting cancellation of my escrow which I was told today would take 3 months. This is the worse experience that I've ever had with a mortgage company. They bought my loan. I didn't choose them. I don't know how they continue in business. All experiences seem to be about the same. It seems like this should be a RESPA violation. I will be looking into it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

This bank is the most unscrupulous mortgage company I have ever dealt with. The customer services agents are probably not in the united states, and really don't care about resolving any issues. I signed up for the covid forbearance program for 90 days, and for the past 6 months they have refused to remove me from the program. I have called several times to have my account taking of forbearance with no success. I have made several payments on time for the past 4 months and spoken to at least 6 agents requesting my account be returned back to normal, with no success. The 4 payments I have made has not been applied to my account, and I just received a alert from my credit monitoring bureau stating my mortgage balance has increased. How does ones mortgage principal increase when I'm in forbearance?

I have tried calling their customer service for accounting and assistance, but they give me conflicting responses. A simple request to have an electronic recipe of my payments have been ignored for the past 4 months. I just googled this bank, and noticed similar complaints by other customers, so there is obviously something extremely wrong going on at this bank. I will be contacting the consumer protection agency about this bank. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!!!!

Citizens One Company Information