2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Citizens One offers mortgage and refinancing services. With multiple loan options available, Citizens One helps consumers find low-rate mortgages or refinance their current loans.

BOTTOM LINE

Citizens One offers mortgage loans, refinancing services, personal loans and home improvement loans. Find out if you qualify by visiting the company's website.

PROS

• Refinancing available
  • Personalized advice
  • One-on-one support

CONS

• Not available in every state

What is Citizens One?

Citizens One is a lender that has multiple types of mortgages and loan programs to choose from, including adjustable-rate mortgages, FHA loans, VA loans and doctor loans.

Find out if you qualify for a Citizens One mortgage by visiting its website and filling out the prequalification application. During prequalification, you find out how large of a loan you’re eligible for and what mortgage payment best fits your budget. The amount depends on the following factors:

• Debt-to-income ratio
    • Credit history
    • Credit score
    • Employment history
    • Savings
    • Down payment

Once you’ve applied and received your loan approval, Citizens One connects you with a loan specialist who works with you to create a personalized loan plan.

Citizens One rates and fees

Citizens One doesn’t advertise its mortgage rates, but you can fill out the “Check Rates” tool on its website to get a quote. To get an accurate view of Citizens One’s interest rates and fees, you must provide the following information:

• Loan purpose
    • City
    • Property use
    • Property type

Citizens One FAQ

How do I pay off my Citizens One loan?
    You can pay off your Citizens One loan online or from your phone with its mobile app. You can also have your mortgage payment automatically removed from your bank account each month.
    Are Citizens Bank and Citizens One the same?
    Citizens One is Citizens Bank’s lending business that operates outside of states with Citizens Bank branches.
    Is Citizens One a reputable company?
    Yes, Citizens Financial Group Inc., which owns Citizens One, is one of the largest and oldest financial institutions in the nation.

Is Citizens One legit?

Citizens One has multiple loan options, but it’s not available in every state. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender that has online and in-store services, visit Citizens One to apply. It also doesn't advertise its rates, which makes it more difficult to compare its loans against what other companies offer.

Citizens One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Had a billing issue and attempted to contact customer service to correct. Six calls over 6 weeks to a call center apparently off-shore as all calls were handled by English speaking second language representatives. All they could do is state what the computer showed and offered no help. They put payments in "suspension" and did not apply to the account. Then they report to credit bureau as past due causing my credit score to drop. Then they add numerous late charges. This was a home loan that they purchased from another lender. A one star rating is too high.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Horrible experience with the auto loan. We paid on time for a few months, then decided to just pay it off in full. After we did that we stopped receiving bills in the mail for two months until a late notice arrived for $15. We called, and they said to not worry about it, they would remove the $15 from the account and we would be considered paid in full. Four months later, and ZERO more bills or notices in the mail, credit score drops again because the $15 bill is still on the account. We call them again and they "Don't know how that could have happened."

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I have excellent credit; have purchased multiple rentals in just the last 20 years and have Never had an issue until Citizens One acquired Franklin several months ago. I always pay more than the minimum - usually double. And I always pay early. See pic of my loan activity attached - proof of what I'm sharing here. When Citizens One took over this particular mortgage, they immediately took my first payment and treated it as if it was two monthly payments - charging double interest and escrow. When I realized this - I reached out to them by phone and after multiple long waits on hold gave up and contacted them via their secure messaging. After a week they got back to me and corrected it.

A couple months later they applied my monthly payment to principal only and then shortly thereafter assessed me with late fees. Once again it was impossible to reach Citizens One on the phone - but this time finally accepted the option for a call back in 3 days between 1 and 4 pm. They never called. Very frustrating as I am very busy every day. So again my only option was to take this up via their secure messaging. By then - with lots of research (wasted time) I realized that my next payment had been applied to the previous month's interest and escrow. With no way to directly contact Citizens One to correct this - I was forced to immediately make another payment to avoid a second late fee. It's now been over 45 days and still have no resolution to removal of the late fee. They have finally admitted it was their fault - but so far have not reversed the late fee.

Today I discovered that my most recent payment was again applied only to principal (they failed again to take interest and escrow). Again no way to reach them on the phone to resolve. When I finally checked Citizens One reviews I realized that this type of accounting and service is baked into the company seemingly by design. Conclusion: Unless you have a lot of time to watch every move these guys make, and you have unlimited patience to deal with all but non-existent customer service --- Avoid Citizens One! If you have ANY other option - do it. It's very hard to believe there could be a worse company than these guys and still be in business.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Citizens One has been one of the worse companies I have ever dealt with from the beginning. Drew ** forgot to lock my rate in and it went downhill from there. Now, they did not pay my wind insurance and after repeated calls from myself and insurance agent, they have charged me for 2019 for insurance I never had! I have been calling and requesting to speak to a Supervisor for over 2 months now. No calls back. My flood insurance is no longer necessary but I have not received a refund. The amounts do not add up and I seriously question this company and their practices. My goal now is to contact as many regulatory companies I can. Also, the BBB.

Original review: July 27, 2020

Have called 10-12 times in the past several months to correct an escrow account, talked to an extremely rude representative, talked to no one most of the time. Would love to refinance just to get away from this awful company, but it's not a good financial move, even with the low interest right now, closing costs would wipe out any savings from it. They say they will call back--in 3 days!!

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have spent over six hours the past three days trying to resolve this situation. My homeowners insurance told me that my policy would be canceled this week for non-payment of the renewal premium. They did not receive this from my escrow account. When I've tried to call the customer service number, I cannot get answers nor talk to a real person. After three days, I was finally able to schedule a call back for today between 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. I actually received a call from someone at 7:35 pm. I was so happy to finally be able to talk to a real person from Citizens. However, all he did was give me a different phone number to call for Citizens Insurance Dept. This is the same phone number that I received from my branch manager of Citizens that I have tried to call many times without ever being able to reach a real person.

I had to pay my homeowners policy out of pocket, and yet the customer service department said that it shows on his end that this was paid weeks ago. I said that I need proof of that so that I can get reimbursed by my insurance company because they are saying they never received any payment from Citizens for the renewal this month. Again, I was directed to this other phone number where I have already had zero success resolving this issue the past two days after spending many hours trying to do so.

I asked the customer service person why he (or someone else in his department) isn't finding an answer to this by calling their own people, so if they have paid it, they can then send me proof of a canceled check so that I can get my $432.00 back. I probably will never get another mortgage again unless I refinance my current one. But if I do that, I certainly will not use Citizens One Home Loans for this mortgage...nor would I ever recommend to anyone else that they should do so.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Assessed late fees to COVID impacted borrowers, even when borrowers declared impacted under “CARES Act” (H.R. 748), 27 March 2020 LAW. They removed the late fee when that had been received but it's not been returned or credited towards Principal (Just Lost). This probably adds up to millions of dollars across the board.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Please avoid this company like the plague, unless you enjoy a total lack of resolution for any problems, big or small. Citizens One has made every difficult situation even more difficult over the past ten years. They were fully unhelpful and even rude as I tried to refinance my mortgage with them after a divorce, they continued to hold a lien on my property for a home equity loan that should have been released after my former husband's bankruptcy, thus preventing me from refinancing elsewhere, and last month a giant tree fell on my house doing over $30,000 in damages (more than what is owed on the mortgage) and their "processing" time has brought the claim to a screeching halt. The sizable claim required that the insurance check and a variety of documents be submitted to them and they would disburse my funds back to me.

They had everything over two weeks ago and thus far submitted not a dime to me; I had to pay out-of-pocket to get my roof repaired, lest I sustain even more water damage, and my deck continues to look like a pile of rubble, my pool is crunched, my siding is scraped and scratched, and gutter is hanging because 7-10 business days to process seems to have turned into 3-5 weeks. Meantime, I'm attempting to do whatever is necessary to get out from under them so I called to get a payoff amount; they said they can't give me one because of the insurance damage claim. The customer service reps are usually--but not always--polite but ineffective; they attempt to be helpful but there is no access to the people who actually review claims/requests and make the decisions that impact the house in which you live and the money you pay for it. They're a terrible company to have to deal with.

Original review: June 28, 2020

We had refinanced our mortgage and it was originally with another company but was quickly sold to Citizens One Bank. Every time a payment was made the bank would use it to pay mostly interest and very little principal or escrow. They contacted us to say they would be raising our payment by 300 to cover escrow. When all along they had plenty from our payments as we always made a double payment each month. A couple months after them raising the payment to 1694 they sent a letter stating that escrow was still way behind so they needed 4765 plus raise the payment to 2000 a month to cover! Our taxes had not got up 1 time since we purchased the home. But this bank keeps demanding more money when in fact they have plenty but keep putting our payments into interest...

When we would make a payment of 2622 they would pay 1800 interest and the rest on principal and escrow!!! Our payment went up over 1000 in less than a year! We were informed that it was correct and how it is always done everywhere. NOPE!! Not any longer.... we are having to move our mortgage and refinance with a local company in order to get away from citizens one! They have NO branches in Texas. This is definitely NOT a company to deal with!!!!

Original review: June 9, 2020

Overheard my wife in the living room trying to get some basic information from KATRINA through the Citizens One customer service department. Every question she asked Katrina if that's even her real name could not answer and not only could she not answer the questions she was very rude about it. So after getting absolutely nowhere being put on hold multiple times and getting the same idk response and being on the phone for a hour and a half my wife ask to speak to a supervisor. Then KATRINA says, "They're busy but you can talk to me." My wife replies, "No thanks. Not only are you rude you can't provide me with basic information that I've been asking you."

Without a response she gets put on hold again for another thirty minutes. Instead of being transferred Katrina picks up the line again and says, "They're busy on the phone but you can email them." My wife replies again, "No thanks. I'll wait." So two and a half hours later we get ahold of a team leader that that provided us with the information in less than three minutes and also didn't understand why Katrina couldn't do the same seeing it was a very basic question.

I don't understand how someone this rude, incompetent and unprofessional could even make it to a position like this. When my wife would speak Katrina would cut her off or put her on hold or say, "We don't have that" or "We can't do that." Crazy thing is we were trying to get information that has been easily provided in the past through the same department just so we can pay our mortgage. Never thought it would be nearly impossible just to get information to pay with our money. Most good company people would be happy to help seeing that's their job and that we are trying to pay money to our mortgage which benefits the company but Katrina could care less.

I really hope citizens one records their call and audits their employees cause this is a issue that should be taken care of immediately. I get better customer service at the McDonald's drive through. And if KATRINA is her real name when citizens one finds out you could care less to do your job in any type of way I hope the next person that comes along is respectful and confident in answering a basic question seeing all the one star reviews which is almost all of them on this page is very disturbing knowing this is who I am dealing with on a monthly basis. If you are reading this and thinking about switching over to this provider please keep in mind you will have these problems for the next thirty years or however long your loan exist because we have and so has everyone else on these reviews. This is the first review I have ever had to write and hopefully the last.

Citizens One Company Information