2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.09/5

Citizens One offers mortgage and refinancing services. With multiple loan options available, Citizens One helps consumers find low-rate mortgages or refinance their current loans.

BOTTOM LINE

Citizens One offers mortgage loans, refinancing services, personal loans and home improvement loans. Find out if you qualify by visiting the company's website.

PROS

• Refinancing available
  • Personalized advice
  • One-on-one support

CONS

• Not available in every state

What is Citizens One?

Citizens One is a lender that has multiple types of mortgages and loan programs to choose from, including adjustable-rate mortgages, FHA loans, VA loans and doctor loans.

Find out if you qualify for a Citizens One mortgage by visiting its website and filling out the prequalification application. During prequalification, you find out how large of a loan you’re eligible for and what mortgage payment best fits your budget. The amount depends on the following factors:

• Debt-to-income ratio
    • Credit history
    • Credit score
    • Employment history
    • Savings
    • Down payment

Once you’ve applied and received your loan approval, Citizens One connects you with a loan specialist who works with you to create a personalized loan plan.

Citizens One rates and fees

Citizens One doesn’t advertise its mortgage rates, but you can fill out the “Check Rates” tool on its website to get a quote. To get an accurate view of Citizens One’s interest rates and fees, you must provide the following information:

• Loan purpose
    • City
    • Property use
    • Property type

Citizens One FAQ

How do I pay off my Citizens One loan?
    You can pay off your Citizens One loan online or from your phone with its mobile app. You can also have your mortgage payment automatically removed from your bank account each month.
    Are Citizens Bank and Citizens One the same?
    Citizens One is Citizens Bank’s lending business that operates outside of states with Citizens Bank branches.
    Is Citizens One a reputable company?
    Yes, Citizens Financial Group Inc., which owns Citizens One, is one of the largest and oldest financial institutions in the nation.

Is Citizens One legit?

Citizens One has multiple loan options, but it’s not available in every state. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender that has online and in-store services, visit Citizens One to apply. It also doesn't advertise its rates, which makes it more difficult to compare its loans against what other companies offer.

Citizens One Reviews

Original review: June 4, 2020

I cannot stand Citizens One Home Loans. I've never missed a mortgage payment with them but they still call on the 16th of each month for the payment. For having never missed a payment it's frustrating to get that call knowing I'm going to pay it on time and not be late. I'm switching mortgage companies.

Original review: May 25, 2020

They have hidden fees. I asked for a relief to my payment last month and they said yes but the interest will remain. I am paying $340.47 every month and the interest that they did not waive was $199, so the interest was higher than the principal. This credit agency is so greedy and they don't care if you are affected by any circumstances. Please do not ask any help from them.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I have called them at least weekly. Everyone tells me something different. Want to give them deed in lieu of foreclosure. They will not send the necessary paperwork! This is the first time I have ever negatively reviewed anyone. As other reviews say RUN from this place. Terrible customer service. They don't even deserve a one star. Would love to get a contact person for my attorney to call. Train your people better. Don't lie.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I'm so angry. These people took over my mortgage and now I have to deal with them. Customer service = No one to help you one the phone. System will put you on hold for hours and no will connect. System will call you about your late payments but won't let you talk to rep. It's like being caught in a dark pit of hellish customer service. I'm a vet trying to talk to these people about my mortgage and it's like they have one phone line run by dead monkeys. I'm so angry I wish nothing but the worst upon this company.

Original review: April 22, 2020

A couple of months ago Franklin American sold my mortgage to Citizens One, I was very disappointed because I have had experience with this bank before, not good. I'm self-employed and as everyone impacted by Covid-19. I contacted Citizens One and their forbearance plan consisted of 90 days and after the end all delayed contractual payments are due on your next payment date. You've got to be kidding me? If you don't have money to pay the mortgage payments in the first place how do you come up with 4 payments on the next payment due date? I asked if we were being recorded? The woman said yes and I told them their plan sucked. Obviously they care more about their stockholders than their customers. I reported them to THE CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU and as soon as I'm able I'm refinancing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: April 18, 2020

None of my payments for the last year were applied correctly. I have autopay set up on my home loan since Aug 2019. I got a notice in the mail that I am behind on my payments. Turns out, 100% of my payment was being applied to my escrow or interest. I have paid a hefty $2 towards my principal in 1 year?!?! WTF! I get automated messages from their collections department, I try to return the call and no one ever answers after being on hold for 2 hrs. I tried scheduling a call back and they never called me back.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Misapplied extra principal payments. We have asked the Department of Justice to look into the business practices of Citizens One Home Loans. The reason is that we earmarked very clearly how extra principal payments should be applied and Citizens applied it how they wanted, and to their advantage. It took hours on the phone with them trying to clear this up. We wonder if other Citizens One customers are not catching the devious actions of Citizens One and losing tons of money. If Citizens is doing this to thousands of customers, Citizens is making millions of dollars illegally.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Unethical, dishonest company. I pay down my mortgage with additional principal payments. I send check where the coupon and statement say to send. I carefully document my payment. They misapply my payment to interest EVERY TIME.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Sold to them by Franklin American about 3 months ago. I set up auto-draft immediately and this month on the 13th received a statement showing where the computer never processed the payment and they had loan mitigation information posted on the bottom. This is the only thing I have ever paid late and immediately jumped online to make a one-time draft payment, well 3 business days later that payment still has not been processed. I try to call and the only option I get is credit counseling department and there is a 2 hour hold time. I only get through to one person and she hangs up on me almost right after she answered. This is a nightmare.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Unfortunately, many of us whose mortgages are held by this criminal entity never chose to have a relationship with them, as our mortgages were "sold" to them by Franklin American without consultation or notice. Nonetheless, even a predatory agency like Citizens One should at least have a functional web site and/or answer the phone. Add my name to the list of complainants and negative reviewers who have endured hold-times of in excess of 2 hours before being disconnected. One reviewer here wondered aloud why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against Citizens One. Whether or not my own grievances with them may be legally actionable, if ever there IS a class action suit, I'll gladly support it in whatever way I can. In the meantime, I have filed complaints with my state's Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, and the Attornies General in both Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Additionally, and because companies like Citizens One, which financial advisors and media outlets now openly describe as "vultures", or "vulture-investors" have a great deal of latitude to practice their predation, I shall be writing to my Federal representatives to propose a law prohibiting or restricting the sale of mortgages without permission or input from the consumers.

Citizens One Company Information