1.09/5
Based on 76 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a mortgage lender?

78 Citizens One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I'm going to keep this as short as possible. Basically called in to resolve a problem with the iPhone Upgrade Program application. Very unusual but resolvable problem of a card being identified as debit, when it is credit after all (app doesn't take debit cards). Called in to resolve the issue over the phone, and the specialist puts in a ticket to technical support to manually review the card. Calls me back 2 days later to inform me that they are still detecting it as debit and that they have no further resolution and my only solve to the problem would be to use another card.

I opened up this ** credit card for the sole purpose of the iUP, and their resolve is that they cannot correct the detection of the card. If your systems are not able to differentiate between debit and credit in 2018, and don't even have the drive to resolve the issue on your end, you definitely should not be the finance partner of the most acclaimed customer-service company in the world, which is Apple. Absolutely pathetic, will never even consider iUP unless it's offered by a credible financier.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

This bank is the worst bank to deal with, they don't have any compassion for their customers and have no choices for anyone who is out of work and can't make a car payment, to defer a payment on your car loan and have to pay the interest charges on your loan is crazy, the interest on the loan is more than the principal, if you're out of work how you can you pay anything in time of hardship, they only have one option for you to choose from. Find another bank, anything can happen in life and they have no soul. It's all about the money and no cares about the customer.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had spoken to Troy and his Assistant Susie back in July to obtain a mortgage pre-qualification. I had asked multiple times not to have my credit pulled, verbally and in writing, as I was evaluating several lenders at the time and simply wanted to get information on potential interest rates. He did not even care to look into my file without pulling my credit and clearly mentioned that he had no interest in assisting with the loan without doing so. 2 months later, after never hearing a word from him, he randomly pulls my credit as well as my husband's credit from all 3 credit bureaus, without our consent. I already closed on the loan with another Bank and own the property. I have called him and e-mailed him to request a letter of deletion for me to use with all 3 credit bureaus and his response was "I'm at the gym. You're going to have to wait".

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

This “business” operates like an Abbott and Costello skit. They stopped sending payment stubs while in bankruptcy but blocked my discharge unless I paid 5k -which I did. Only to find out that they put a lien on my property. I called to find out why and how to fix things, start making payments again since I still didn’t receive any payment stubs. I got the schtick from a so called manager. I was told since it was charged off, they wouldn’t send payment stubs and I didn’t have to pay but have to pay to remove the lien but the balance wouldn’t change. Well, as I get credit report alerts that was a lie! Still no contact or payment stubs from them and the balance is now 6k over the supposed no changing balance. These people need to be out of business.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I received a personal loan offer from Citizens One. I could not get the website they sent me to take the invitation code to even check my rate. I checked around to find some way to contact them and found nothing. For a company that wants my business they sure make it impossible for me to give it. I would deal with a loan shark or the mafia before I would deal with citizens one. Tell Citizens One to pound sand. Put them out of business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: July 31, 2018

We have a Vivint security system installed in our home. Love the system, hate this company that we were not told about at installation. No way to contact, deals with student loans and I have three doctorates along with an MBA. No student loans. What a piece of crap.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I just cannot believe for 1, that they are a mortgage company, and you cannot email them, or reach anyone after hours, my biggest gripe is, I use a bill payer system through my bank, most all banks and mortgage companies have what's called electronic banking, but no not this antiquated place. They will only accept snail mail checks for payments, I think they are doing this so your payments will be late, and then they can tack on a 65.00 late fee. The bad part about all of this is I did not pick them. They bought my loan from my old mortgage company. Please get with the times, and get with real customer service...

Original review: July 6, 2018

I financed my car through Citizens One, and the entire process has been a complete mess, mostly because of them. Originally, I had taken out a warranty on the car but then decided I no longer needed it so I canceled the warranty. The warranty company initially stated I would get 62% of the warranty refunded, but I fought them and they agreed they had miscalculated and I should get 92% back. The first check had already been sent to the dealer, who had forwarded it to Citizens One and it was applied with no issue. They issued a second check for the remaining 30% of my warranty back to the dealer, who forwarded to Citizens One, and... nothing. It was never applied to my account, nothing ever came of it. I called multiple times, and they stated they couldn't even see the check. So I talked to my dealer. They showed me a copy of the check they mailed. I call Citizens One back, and they basically said they couldn't do anything.

A month goes by with me calling Citizens One back and forth over different things. Finally, my dealer calls me and says that Citizens One mailed them a copy of a check with the note that they could not apply the payment because the account number was missing. Strange, considering they had no problem applying the first check for 62%. Whatever. I call Citizens One to give them the correct account number and explain what happened and get everything sorted out. They can't have me do it though because the check isn't from me, so I have to have my dealer fax the original document that was mailed to them along with the correct account number. Fine. I give the info to them, they send it in, and I'm thinking all is well.

Another month or so goes by, and I realize that the extra 30% has never come off my account. So I call Citizens One. They're "very sorry" but they seem to have found the check and identified whatever the problem is. So they would be happy to apply the check to my account and have it applied towards my payment this month, then the remainder to principal. Great! Two weeks go by, and I get a call that my account is past due. I ask if my warranty refund got applied to my payment or if it went towards principal. I was told they had no idea what I was talking about. I explained the situation again, and they said I'd need to contact customer service.

Customer service tells me that they have no record or any notes of me ever calling them about this issue. I explain that I've called every month for the past 7 months, sometimes multiple weeks in a row. They tell me that there is nothing notated on my account, the only extra payment that was ever applied was the original 62% payment. Oh, and I also needed to make my last month's payment plus late fee while I was on the phone before it went to collections. The customer service rep I talked to was unwilling to listen to anything I had to say about what was going on with my account. She just kept telling me that my payment was late and I needed to make it and that they had no records of me calling and applying this extra payment to my account.

At this point, I don't even know what to do. I have called my dealer and advised them what happened so that they can cancel the check that was mailed 6 months ago. I've wasted so much time and energy dealing with Citizens One, and all they can tell me is "Well, we have no record of that." Seems kind of suspect when they start every call by telling you that your call is being recorded.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I went through a refinancing with Citizens One upon being referenced to them by my Northwest Mutual adviser. The people I worked with were nice. However, they made several mistakes and I felt in the dark about the whole process. They had mistyped my email and were sending things to the wrong email for a while. Everything nonetheless went forward until I hit a roadblock: after paying $600 to get an appraisal, upon seeing the appraisal, Citizens One informed me that we could not go forward with the refinance because my house is "round". The very first phone call I ever made with them, I made very clear that my house is round. But now 2 months and $600 later, they tell me it's a surprise to them. They made no attempts or apologies. They attempted to help me out a little by referring me to a place that could get me a home equity loan but that never went anywhere. I'm very disappointed in Citizens One. Don't use their services.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I tried to call and update my billing information. I was told because I was not on the loan that I could not pay it. When I requested the website to change information for the loan and for a complaint address, I was told because I wasn't on the account that this information couldn't be given to me. After 30 minutes on the phone, they continued to be rude and not allow a payment. They want to charge a late fee, but would not allow me to pay it. Also, my husband who is the account holder is working out of town and unable to call. I have all his information, including a POA while he is gone and still they refused to provide me any information or allow my payment. They have horrible customer service. Juan #** and Leon #** refused to allow me to speak with their supervisors or give me any information as to how to file a complaint or go online to correct my billing information. All I wanted was a website.

Original review: May 15, 2018

The experience I'd like to give is a zero but I am required to pick a minimum of one star. - While I was in arrears with an iPhone loan, I explained my situation trying to find out what I could do. The correspondence I received from them looked like, felt like, and tasted like spam, so I ignored them. Thinking an official document/phone call would be forthcoming. I finally received what looked like a copy of a copy of a faxed form letter from Citizens One. Now that definitely looked like spam. My personal data was breached twice in the OPM data breaches as well as in retail store ones. And my credit card data was stolen twice.

Long story short. I paid my bill and now they will never approve me for an iPhone loan. Meaning Apple's upgrade program is NOT available to me even if there are extenuating circumstances surrounding my case. The company does not have any process in place to deal with these situations. I asked for an address to file a complaint and was given a web address and had to ask for a post office address. I'm not happy with this financial organization and I will be pursuing a complaint to them. My recommendation is never do business with this organization. As to buying an iPhone? Stick to your trusted local bank for a loan. You still gotta pay for the phone.

Original review: April 24, 2018

If I could give them 0 stars I would. I received a notice charging me a $29.64 late payment fee. I called because I am 2 years ahead on my payments. They told me they would correct the problem and issue a refund. A week later, I received another notice with another fee attached. When I called again, they informed me they were working on correcting the problem (the way they applied 2 -$3000 payments) but it was not "a rush". Meanwhile, they keep assessing me with more late fees and apparently not in a hurry to correct their mistakes.

I told them I would like to pay it off over the phone right now and was informed that I have to mail in the check and pay 2 more weeks of interest (which they automatically include) because they cannot take payoffs over the phone or online. This bank sucks on customer service and I will NEVER use them again. In addition to charging me late fees for being 2 years ahead on my loan, they are tarnishing my credit by reporting it late when it's not.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Told me I was pre-approved (Personal Loan). Put a hard inquiry on my report. Asked me for a 4506-T to get my tax returns straight from the IRS. Then denied me 3 different times because they said I didn't provide enough information, even though I gave them everything each time AND the IRS sent them my returns. Wasted a whole month. Even worse was the customer service. They refuse to explain their denial and read boilerplate legalese. The supervisor refused to tell me what specifically they were missing, was rude, and actually told me that they couldn't verify even my name from my credit report or the IRS tax returns. Even my name. Just to get me off the phone. Obvious B.S. Stay away.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I sent in my check for a payment for my car to Citizens Bank. They opened the envelope and tore the check. They sent it back to me in the mail and never notified me over the phone. After 20 days they notify your credit bureau and will hurt your credit. They charged me $15.00 late fee for their mistake. I wanted to make a payment over the phone and they want to charge me $20.00 processing fee.

Talked to a supervisor named BRIDGE **. The only thing she could say is that I have to pay the $20.00 fee. She said that 4 different times and could not really care. I told her again and again that it was their fault and not my fault for the late fee and that I should not have to pay the $20.00 fee for trying to make the payment over the phone. I purchased my truck from Medved Chevrolet in Colorado. That was a bad enough experience, but this makes it even worse! Medved finances their vehicles through Citizens Bank. DON'T purchase a vehicle from Medved or DON'T finance though Citizens Bank!!! They both could care less about the customer!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have been making payment for over a year to Citizens Card on time and always twice or more than minimum payment require. Last month I sent the payment in a two days after due time and they charge $ 27 dollars late fees. Like all the payment on time mean nothing. These people are thieves and I would never deal with them again and I will try talk people from dealing with Citizens. I will tell everyone stay away from Citizens Bank.

Original review: March 18, 2018

To put it bluntly, it is very hard to take advantage of the balance transfer offer I received from Citizens One. The interest rate is very good, however I have posted a warning in my tracking spreadsheet to myself. This is to remind me not to purchase anything during the time which I am paying down the balance. Okay, I got that pretty much under control. I put the card in my "sock drawer" to make sure I don't use it. This is because as soon as you use the card for a purchase, the entire balance reverts back to 17.74% (in my case).

But, what they did next took me by surprise. I have been using balance transfers since 1996 with much success and I have never encountered what Citizens One has done. My wife and I have other cards - Citibank, Discover, Capital One and Bank of America and none of these banks have done this. The month following the month when I made my first "paydown" payment on my Citizens One Bal. Transfer, there was a finance charge of $5.49. Oops! I said, somebody charged something by mistake, even though it did not show up on the previous statement. But no! It was not a charge. It was finance charge on the 3% transfer fee. I have heard of something like this before- where your first payment should pay the fee off, but it had not happened to me.

The incident only happened on Friday (today is Sunday) and I was going to call up the bank to complain, but have not yet done so. Anyway, when I discovered the finance charge, I immediately went online and set up a quick payoff of the fee PLUS the MINIMUM required amount PLUS the $5.49 finance charge. And, for good measure, I even added an extra $5.55 to cover another month's prospective finance charge just in case! It will be interesting to see how the payment is applied to what balance- interest or balance transfer amount.

By the way, before I did the Citizens One Bank balance transfer, I made sure that my previous balance was ZERO. Also, I did a similar balance transfer back in 2013 and there was only a monthly minimum charge of $1.50 during the entire course of the payback (and no finance charge on the transfer fee). Citizens One also has a "sticky" website when it comes to choosing the date when the payment will be made. It likes to choose the next business day rather than the day you enter. You must be very careful when choosing the date, sometimes causing you to go back and change it several times. I got stuck once on this practice. All of the other banks I mentioned have made it very clear and have improved the way it displays information such as the date. But, Citizens One has not made any improvements to its website in at least 8 years, at least none that I can see.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

With my soft inquiry pre-approval I requested rates, was told I was approved so I applied and got a flat denial which will hit my report as a hard inquiry. Not impressed as I don't apply unless I am sure I can be approved. Asked for far less than maximum I was supposedly approved for.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

After my interactions, I wouldn't trust these morons to make change for a dollar. They screwed up my loan, admitted to it but told me there was nothing they could do nor was there anyone that I could talk to.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Citizens One Home Loans bought my mortgage loan. After they bought it they would only apply $20 from each payment to the principal on my mortgage. When I questioned them about this they closed out my escrow account without applying the money to the property tax or principal. They also don't send me my property tax invoices and had I not checked into it on my own my house was being put up for a tax lien sale. I also found out that they aren't even licensed to do business in the state that I live in. They need to be Shut Down and Face Criminal Charges.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Mortgage modification - This company jerked me around for 15 mo after never missing a payment and has completely ruined my life and credit! Had to hire a lawyer! At 800.00$ a month. Why isn't someone doing something? They have ruined my life.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Nightmare to deal with. I had to keep emailing them to get any response as far as my refinance. I will no longer use this bank as soon as I can. They are the worst and will lie to you just to cost you a 600$ house appraisal. Please listen to what I say, do not use this bank if at all possible.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Got a letter Oct 4 saying what my new monthly payment was and then it would start with my next payment. If the box has the wrong number, just change it. What a joke. Tried multiple times to do that - no dice. If I do not have to pay the old amount which is nearly twice the new payment, why should I. So finally, my payment is late. That's when the real fun starts. Told the payment site today I would pay by tomorrow, so started to try. When I click on "make payment" it now tells me that since I am paying the loan off it cannot be done online. Tried multiple times, same thing.

Finally called their "customer service" and the woman starts telling me I am signing in wrong although I have tried many times. Tells me to try again. Same thing. She tells me: "Well, I don't know what YOUR problem is." Mine? That's BS. It is a glitch on the site. We finally make my old payment amount. I remind her that the letter was overly ambiguous but of course that's "YOUR problem." Awful, awful company looking for any way they can to bag people and charge more.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

PROBLEMS: automated phone system & lack of way to talk to a human to resolve. EXCESSIVE amount of time (3 to 4 weeks) to get title after they have deposited check (and it shows up on my bank account). Having come near the end of the loan, I attempted to pay off the load and called the customer service number on the billing statement. Customer Service is almost entirely automated, but it does provide a method to get the payoff amount, information on where to send the payoff, and a method to make payments electronically. The system recognized the account number for generating the payoff amount, but for attempting to pay off electronically, the SAME account number was not recognized on many attempts.

Having sent a check for the payoff by FedEx and verified that my Credit Union had deducted it, I called and finally got someone in the Titles section. He said it would take one to two week to verify the payment and they would send a confirmation, it would take two more weeks to send an electronic notice to my DMV, and then DMV would send the title. Due to EXCESSIVE processing time, I can't transfer the title or stop paying insurance.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I work in web. Perhaps my standards are too high. The website experience for this company is so astronomically bad, I don't even know where to begin. There are at least FOUR login screens, so figuring out which one is appropriate for your loan is its own challenge. Once you actually successfully log in, the user interface is a cascade of dog poo. The "Make a Payment" button doesn't allow you to do that. Not sure why it's labeled that way. Anyway, they got a single star back because they financed my thousand dollar iPhone for free, but sweet Jesus, why is it so difficult to manage your account online? If anyone from Citizens One reads this, I know a good web guy...

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have only had my loan for 12 months out of 36 and 2x in the 12 month period my loan has generated a late notice when payments were actually early. I call it gets problem taken care of but come on now should I really have to call them to begin with if idiots processing payments could read? I am going to look into who to complain to government wise as this bank should not be allowed to loan money. No apology when you call them out on their mistake either.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

This Bank refuses to credit my payments on this home line of credit (that they changed to a mortgage without telling me) and has twice sent in preservation people and started foreclosure which I bought my way out of. I just want an attorney for this if anyone knows of one.

Original review: July 31, 2017

My mother had taken out a car loan through this company (which she was given a horrible deal to begin with), unfortunately she passed away 3 months afterwards. I called the company to settle on a price to pay off the vehicle, as she owed about $7,000 more than what the vehicle was worth. After speaking to 4 different people, 3 of whom were managers, and being lied to by those 4 different people, they finally transferred me to the department that negotiates and settles loans. After calling this department several times and attempting to work with them (attempting meaning they dont return phone calls, dont follow up and dont engage with customers). These people are DISHONEST, hard to work with and difficult to communicate with. I have been LIED to by at least 7 different people now and have contacted them more than they have contacted me. This is a HORRIBLE company to do business with, would stay as far away as possible.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I had a loan with Citizens One to do an addition on my home. The loan was for 200,000. 2016 I received a notice saying that the balance of the loan had come due. Not having an extra 190,000.00 I applied for a modification. Through out my loan I was never late with payments, never missed a payment. I started this process August of 2016. I am now on my fifth time of having to submit a ridiculous amount of paperwork and start process once again. They are now threatening to foreclose on my home that is valued at 2.5 million dollars. Because of the amount of time that has passed they have ruined my credit. It's now in the 500 when I've always been well above 700. Therefore no other loan companies want to touch this. My primary home loan is up to date and always has been. I can't believe that this company has made my life a living hell for a year. If anyone has any suggestions please contact me. This is so wrong!

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had a loan with them for the Apple upgrade program. I pay monthly payments and it makes me eligible for upgrading to the new phone, or I can pay the balance and own the phone. All was fine in the beginning. Then, I started having issues with my phone to the point where I was no longer enjoying it. Apple's customer service was under the impression that as long as I had made a year's worth of payments, that Apple was satisfied and I could return the phone and the contract would be void.

But that wasn't the case with Citizens One. According to them, if you make a year's worth of payments, you're eligible for the upgraded phone. I asked if there was any opt out clause. Can I pay a fine or any type of fee to get out of the contract? They said no. I was stuck with the phone until I pay off the balance. How do you not offer any kind of way to get out of the contract? This whole system is far worse than the 2-year contract commitment needed with the cellular service providers. At least they had early termination fees. I paid off the balance of the phone, and I'm certain to never ever do business with Citizens One ever again.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I hate the system Citizens One has. I wanted to pay off my personal loan, with my debit card, I was told they couldn't accept a debit card and that I could only pay off my loan by calling them with a check. I then told them that I had my Credit Union cut a check for the balance of my loan and was told from customer service that they would not honor my bank and send it back to Credit Union.

I was pissed off because my bank check was out of my savings account. Their system sucks. I didn't know that when I bought my Apple phone, that Apple didn't charge my Barclaycard, instead they wheel and deal with Citizens One bank cause this horror for me. I am very dissatisfied and will never have anything to do with Apple or this bank again!!! What is the difference between a debit card or a bank check both a done deal. Why do I have to call them and give them my routing and bank account so they can take my money out! People read this don't take loans with this bank!

UPDATE: I wanted to double up on my payments on my personal loan. I submitted one check doubling my monthly payments so I can pay off my loan faster. They claim they couldn't accept the check so they took one payment and I refunded me the other because according to them I can only make one payment at a time. How ridiculous is that, I would think the bank would want me to pay it right away. Please change the bank rules to accept debit, credit or bank checks and not just personal checks.

Citizens One Company Information