2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Citizens One offers mortgage and refinancing services. With multiple loan options available, Citizens One helps consumers find low-rate mortgages or refinance their current loans.

BOTTOM LINE

Citizens One offers mortgage loans, refinancing services, personal loans and home improvement loans. Find out if you qualify by visiting the company's website.

PROS

• Refinancing available
  • Personalized advice
  • One-on-one support

CONS

• Not available in every state
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Citizens One?

Citizens One is a lender that has multiple types of mortgages and loan programs to choose from, including adjustable-rate mortgages, FHA loans, VA loans and doctor loans.

Find out if you qualify for a Citizens One mortgage by visiting its website and filling out the prequalification application. During prequalification, you find out how large of a loan you’re eligible for and what mortgage payment best fits your budget. The amount depends on the following factors:

• Debt-to-income ratio
    • Credit history
    • Credit score
    • Employment history
    • Savings
    • Down payment

Once you’ve applied and received your loan approval, Citizens One connects you with a loan specialist who works with you to create a personalized loan plan.

Citizens One rates and fees

Citizens One doesn’t advertise its mortgage rates, but you can fill out the “Check Rates” tool on its website to get a quote. To get an accurate view of Citizens One’s interest rates and fees, you must provide the following information:

• Loan purpose
    • City
    • Property use
    • Property type

Citizens One FAQ

How do I pay off my Citizens One loan?
    You can pay off your Citizens One loan online or from your phone with its mobile app. You can also have your mortgage payment automatically removed from your bank account each month.
    Are Citizens Bank and Citizens One the same?
    Citizens One is Citizens Bank’s lending business that operates outside of states with Citizens Bank branches.
    Is Citizens One a reputable company?
    Yes, Citizens Financial Group Inc., which owns Citizens One, is one of the largest and oldest financial institutions in the nation.

Is Citizens One legit?

Citizens One has multiple loan options, but it’s not available in every state. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender that has online and in-store services, visit Citizens One to apply. It also doesn't advertise its rates, which makes it more difficult to compare its loans against what other companies offer.

Citizens One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I have reached out to Citizens One regarding a recent November 2020 refinance of my mortgage. My Citizens One pay-off was sent and processed by Citizens one but they did not close my account. They kept billing me for Escrow payments for two months which I did not pay. This lack of payment resulted in Citizens One posting 30 day and 60 day late payment with the credit reporting agencies. As of January 20, 2021, my credit report is showing 60 day late pay on my 'closed mortgage' account. Unable to get resolution from Jamille B. in customer support. Impossible to get someone at this company to resolve issue... Next action is a formal complaint with NC consumer protection agency.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Over the period of 6 or more months, I have been working to change information pertaining to my mortgage. Forms were requested to be sent in, which were received. Every phone call to check on the status of the account lead to “requiring additional documents” in order to complete this process. Now the company is claiming to no longer have a form I’ve previously sent in. Issue is dragging out and is still unresolved. The company is NOT organized and have ZERO compassion in resolving the issue.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

WORST LENDER I have ever encountered. I wish I could leave ZERO stars. Not only did your representative laugh at me on the phone after hearing me cry because you have put me through absolute hell, but you’re also going to destroy my credit over your mistake! You put my September and October payments in a suspension account and then lost my payment for November (saying it had been returned when it hasn’t). Now I’m in collections over your mistake. All of your representatives are rude and incompetent. I’ve filed a complaint through RI Attorney General, the BBB, and the FBI Mortgage Fraud department. You’re not going to steal my money without a fight, I’m refinancing ASAP. Your company is nothing but FRAUD. How is there not a civil lawsuit against this company?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

If I could give Citizen's one a negative star they would have it. They have screwed up my refinance on more than one occasion. Trying to get their second ridiculous mistake corrected and all I get is hung up on and out on a several day call back waiting list. If you value accuracy and integrity especially when it comes to something as important as buying a home or refinancing you have been warned. This company is trash and place your trust in a more reputable company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Purchased my loan from a local mortgage company. Customer service is absolutely garbage as well. Seems they have almost nobody working there. Stay away from them, not good to do business with. I refinanced, still took money from my account and then didn't give it all back after my attempts to get a hold of anybody. Me and my new company are baffled, so just take the experience from me. They say they'll try to get back to you 3 times if they miss you, they don't. Good luck if these guys have your mortgage. 1 star is too much.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Had a billing issue and attempted to contact customer service to correct. Six calls over 6 weeks to a call center apparently off-shore as all calls were handled by English speaking second language representatives. All they could do is state what the computer showed and offered no help. They put payments in "suspension" and did not apply to the account. Then they report to credit bureau as past due causing my credit score to drop. Then they add numerous late charges. This was a home loan that they purchased from another lender. A one star rating is too high.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Horrible experience with the auto loan. We paid on time for a few months, then decided to just pay it off in full. After we did that we stopped receiving bills in the mail for two months until a late notice arrived for $15. We called, and they said to not worry about it, they would remove the $15 from the account and we would be considered paid in full. Four months later, and ZERO more bills or notices in the mail, credit score drops again because the $15 bill is still on the account. We call them again and they "Don't know how that could have happened."

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I have excellent credit; have purchased multiple rentals in just the last 20 years and have Never had an issue until Citizens One acquired Franklin several months ago. I always pay more than the minimum - usually double. And I always pay early. See pic of my loan activity attached - proof of what I'm sharing here. When Citizens One took over this particular mortgage, they immediately took my first payment and treated it as if it was two monthly payments - charging double interest and escrow. When I realized this - I reached out to them by phone and after multiple long waits on hold gave up and contacted them via their secure messaging. After a week they got back to me and corrected it.

A couple months later they applied my monthly payment to principal only and then shortly thereafter assessed me with late fees. Once again it was impossible to reach Citizens One on the phone - but this time finally accepted the option for a call back in 3 days between 1 and 4 pm. They never called. Very frustrating as I am very busy every day. So again my only option was to take this up via their secure messaging. By then - with lots of research (wasted time) I realized that my next payment had been applied to the previous month's interest and escrow. With no way to directly contact Citizens One to correct this - I was forced to immediately make another payment to avoid a second late fee. It's now been over 45 days and still have no resolution to removal of the late fee. They have finally admitted it was their fault - but so far have not reversed the late fee.

Today I discovered that my most recent payment was again applied only to principal (they failed again to take interest and escrow). Again no way to reach them on the phone to resolve. When I finally checked Citizens One reviews I realized that this type of accounting and service is baked into the company seemingly by design. Conclusion: Unless you have a lot of time to watch every move these guys make, and you have unlimited patience to deal with all but non-existent customer service --- Avoid Citizens One! If you have ANY other option - do it. It's very hard to believe there could be a worse company than these guys and still be in business.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Citizens One has been one of the worse companies I have ever dealt with from the beginning. Drew ** forgot to lock my rate in and it went downhill from there. Now, they did not pay my wind insurance and after repeated calls from myself and insurance agent, they have charged me for 2019 for insurance I never had! I have been calling and requesting to speak to a Supervisor for over 2 months now. No calls back. My flood insurance is no longer necessary but I have not received a refund. The amounts do not add up and I seriously question this company and their practices. My goal now is to contact as many regulatory companies I can. Also, the BBB.

Original review: July 27, 2020

Have called 10-12 times in the past several months to correct an escrow account, talked to an extremely rude representative, talked to no one most of the time. Would love to refinance just to get away from this awful company, but it's not a good financial move, even with the low interest right now, closing costs would wipe out any savings from it. They say they will call back--in 3 days!!

Citizens One Company Information