2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Citizens One offers mortgage and refinancing services. With multiple loan options available, Citizens One helps consumers find low-rate mortgages or refinance their current loans.

BOTTOM LINE

Citizens One offers mortgage loans, refinancing services, personal loans and home improvement loans. Find out if you qualify by visiting the company's website.

PROS
  • Refinancing available
  • Personalized advice
  • One-on-one support
CONS
  • Not available in every state
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Citizens One?

Citizens One is a lender that has multiple types of mortgages and loan programs to choose from, including adjustable-rate mortgages, FHA loans, VA loans and doctor loans.

Find out if you qualify for a Citizens One mortgage by visiting its website and filling out the prequalification application. During prequalification, you find out how large of a loan you’re eligible for and what mortgage payment best fits your budget. The amount depends on the following factors:

• Debt-to-income ratio
    • Credit history
    • Credit score
    • Employment history
    • Savings
    • Down payment

Once you’ve applied and received your loan approval, Citizens One connects you with a loan specialist who works with you to create a personalized loan plan.

Citizens One rates and fees

Citizens One doesn’t advertise its mortgage rates, but you can fill out the “Check Rates” tool on its website to get a quote. To get an accurate view of Citizens One’s interest rates and fees, you must provide the following information:

• Loan purpose
    • City
    • Property use
    • Property type

Citizens One FAQ

How do I pay off my Citizens One loan?
    You can pay off your Citizens One loan online or from your phone with its mobile app. You can also have your mortgage payment automatically removed from your bank account each month.
    Are Citizens Bank and Citizens One the same?
    Citizens One is Citizens Bank’s lending business that operates outside of states with Citizens Bank branches.
    Is Citizens One a reputable company?
    Yes, Citizens Financial Group Inc., which owns Citizens One, is one of the largest and oldest financial institutions in the nation.

Is Citizens One legit?

Citizens One has multiple loan options, but it’s not available in every state. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender that has online and in-store services, visit Citizens One to apply. It also doesn't advertise its rates, which makes it more difficult to compare its loans against what other companies offer.

Citizens One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: April 1, 2021

This bank is the most unscrupulous mortgage company I have ever dealt with. The customer services agents are probably not in the United States, and really don't care about resolving any issues. I signed up for the covid forbearance program for 90 days, and for the past 6 months they have refused to remove me from the program. I have called several times to have my account taken off forbearance with no success. I have made several payments on time for the past 3 months and spoken to at least 20 agents requesting my account be returned back to normal, with no success. The 3 payments I have made has not been applied to my account, and I just received a alert from my credit monitoring bureau stating my mortgage balance has increased. How does one's mortgage principal increase when I'm in forbearance?

I have tried calling their customer service for accounting and assistance, but they give me conflicting responses. A simple request to have an electronic recipe of my payments have been ignored for the past 3months and they keep saying there is further document needs to be signed beside the partial claim that I already signed, notarized, according to the letter that I received no further documents requested after I signed, until now my payment's in the suspended account. I requested the FedEX tracking and haven't provided it to me and whenever I request to speak with manager; they say no manager available; they keep on hold for an hour. I just googled this bank, and noticed similar complaints by other customers, so there is obviously something extremely wrong going on at this bank. I will be contacting the consumer protection agency about this bank. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!!!!

Original review: March 24, 2021

If you want to refinance your home I definitely would not recommend Citizens One! We started our refinancing with them in October 2020 because we have our current mortgage with them. It was February 2021 and we still did not have a closing date. First they came back and told us we needed another heat source so we put a mini split in then they came back and told us that wasn’t good enough. That we need an electric baseboard.

The communication was terrible. They also appraised our house for 179,000. Our house appraised at almost that much when we first bought it 6 yrs ago and we did about $30,000 in remodeling. After speaking with management and not getting any help on why it was taking so long to refinance we decided to go with another company (Cross Country Mortgage.) One month later we have a closing date and our house appraised at 205,000. Sadly we are out the money that we gave citizens one for our appraisal. So please save your money and time, do not go with citizens one!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Sadly Citizen's One in RI. Has been a disaster. Home Equity Loan paid every month since '08. Citizens attempts to change the date of payment. Bank employee initiated an unauthorized advance to my a/c.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Citizens One did not pay my property taxes. After reaching out to them, sending the tax bill 2 times and sending a letter to the president of home loans, I finally had to go and pay the taxes myself. They sent an escrow refund and assigned a customer advocate. She does not answer the phone or return calls. Customer service can't help. Now I'm afraid I will have the same experience with my insurance due in April. I'm requesting cancellation of my escrow which I was told today would take 3 months. This is the worse experience that I've ever had with a mortgage company. They bought my loan. I didn't choose them. I don't know how they continue in business. All experiences seem to be about the same. It seems like this should be a RESPA violation. I will be looking into it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

This bank is the most unscrupulous mortgage company I have ever dealt with. The customer services agents are probably not in the united states, and really don't care about resolving any issues. I signed up for the covid forbearance program for 90 days, and for the past 6 months they have refused to remove me from the program. I have called several times to have my account taking of forbearance with no success. I have made several payments on time for the past 4 months and spoken to at least 6 agents requesting my account be returned back to normal, with no success. The 4 payments I have made has not been applied to my account, and I just received a alert from my credit monitoring bureau stating my mortgage balance has increased. How does ones mortgage principal increase when I'm in forbearance?

I have tried calling their customer service for accounting and assistance, but they give me conflicting responses. A simple request to have an electronic recipe of my payments have been ignored for the past 4 months. I just googled this bank, and noticed similar complaints by other customers, so there is obviously something extremely wrong going on at this bank. I will be contacting the consumer protection agency about this bank. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I have reached out to Citizens One regarding a recent November 2020 refinance of my mortgage. My Citizens One pay-off was sent and processed by Citizens one but they did not close my account. They kept billing me for Escrow payments for two months which I did not pay. This lack of payment resulted in Citizens One posting 30 day and 60 day late payment with the credit reporting agencies. As of January 20, 2021, my credit report is showing 60 day late pay on my 'closed mortgage' account. Unable to get resolution from Jamille B. in customer support. Impossible to get someone at this company to resolve issue... Next action is a formal complaint with NC consumer protection agency.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Over the period of 6 or more months, I have been working to change information pertaining to my mortgage. Forms were requested to be sent in, which were received. Every phone call to check on the status of the account lead to “requiring additional documents” in order to complete this process. Now the company is claiming to no longer have a form I’ve previously sent in. Issue is dragging out and is still unresolved. The company is NOT organized and have ZERO compassion in resolving the issue.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

WORST LENDER I have ever encountered. I wish I could leave ZERO stars. Not only did your representative laugh at me on the phone after hearing me cry because you have put me through absolute hell, but you’re also going to destroy my credit over your mistake! You put my September and October payments in a suspension account and then lost my payment for November (saying it had been returned when it hasn’t). Now I’m in collections over your mistake. All of your representatives are rude and incompetent. I’ve filed a complaint through RI Attorney General, the BBB, and the FBI Mortgage Fraud department. You’re not going to steal my money without a fight, I’m refinancing ASAP. Your company is nothing but FRAUD. How is there not a civil lawsuit against this company?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

If I could give Citizen's one a negative star they would have it. They have screwed up my refinance on more than one occasion. Trying to get their second ridiculous mistake corrected and all I get is hung up on and out on a several day call back waiting list. If you value accuracy and integrity especially when it comes to something as important as buying a home or refinancing you have been warned. This company is trash and place your trust in a more reputable company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Purchased my loan from a local mortgage company. Customer service is absolutely garbage as well. Seems they have almost nobody working there. Stay away from them, not good to do business with. I refinanced, still took money from my account and then didn't give it all back after my attempts to get a hold of anybody. Me and my new company are baffled, so just take the experience from me. They say they'll try to get back to you 3 times if they miss you, they don't. Good luck if these guys have your mortgage. 1 star is too much.

Citizens One Company Information