1.09/5
Based on 91 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a mortgage lender?

93 Citizens One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

I don't mind paying almost double what I would for an iPhone when purchasing from the Apple store, but the only way to finance the well overpriced phone is to go through Citizens One. First I tried to pay weekly, they said that I couldn't do that and that my phone protection coverage would expire as soon as I paid off the loan. I think cancelling my protection package after paying for it is illegal, but whatever.

Then my bookmark to my loan page gets dismissed and I cannot access my loan on the internet without contacting the bank. Once resetting my account passwords, again, I see make a payment. I choose to pay it off, and it brings me directly to the change payment account page. Then I have to call the bank anyhow to actually pay off the account. Then there are no guarantees that it will be paid before the next payment is due. Looking back at the time I have had the loan, I realize that the one year period for an upgrade, yes, I had to wait a year to upgrade at full price, came and went without any kind of warning or indication that I can or should. The way this bank operates is very shady and Apple should stop using them as their in house finance provider.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My mortgage was sold to Citizens One Home Loans mid last year. Since I had an escrow account with them they gave me a list of options for handling property taxes at the end of the year. None was really convenient, the last processor got the tax bill and paid it, I didn't have to do anything. I selected an option and sent in the paperwork as directed. At the end of the year I'm pulling everything together and getting it ready to send it in and I notice they've already paid the taxes. Of all the problems to have this isn't really a bad problem. I just wasted a fair amount of time getting paperwork ready.

Then came time to pay my homeowners insurance. Don't know what they messed up but I could see the payment taken from my escrow account in plenty of time to make the payment. However, I got notice from the insurance company that I was being dropped for non-payment. This was about a month after after it was due. When I called my agent it had already been taken care of. Not sure when they did with the $ for those 6 weeks. Jump forward to 2019, I make the Jan and Feb payments on time. My wife and I both came into some extra money so we decide to pay down a chunk of the mortgage principal in early Feb... Instead of applying all the extra funds to principal they applied some of it as the March and April Payments. I called to have this corrected and they were very helpful. The extra payments were reversed but then applied again the very next day.

Another call, and again very helpful. The transaction were again reversed. Somewhere during this process the extra transactions caused my escrow to look overfunded. I got a letter saying it was overfunded but they weren't going to refund the money because I was delinquent. What? I've never missed or been late with a payment. I called in and they corrected this and flagged the account so no actions would be taken while the payment issues were corrected. A few days later we received a packet stating they had the right to start foreclosure unless I took certain steps. This account has never been delinquent, my payments are in a day before the due date. Another call. Somehow during reversing the early payments the account due date was reset to 1/1/2019 so the account looked delinquent. They correct this.

After the early payments were reversed the second time they got re-applied again, this time the interest and principal amounts had changed. Another call to have this corrected. Now in late February there are still 2 incorrect monthly payments and now my March payment is processed. The March payment is not correct though as the interest and principal amounts can't be known until the early principal payment is properly applied. In early March all 3 transactions were reversed, the 2 incorrect ones and the March payment. All of these funds were then applied to pay down principal and the March payment is lost.

I called and told them about this. They corrected the principal balance but they took the over $1075 and claimed it all as interest due. This is 2 1/2 months worth of interest and my escrow account is underfunded by the March contribution amount. Call and write in about this. They respond that the account has been reviewed and all payments have been properly applied. I write back that the March payment was lost and the escrow account is short, missing the March contribution.

Weeks later and still no written response. I called in and since this had already been escalated I was told they would have cashiering call me so we could resolve the issues directly. This was going to take 3-5 business days. 2 weeks later and no call or email from cashiering. So now I call and am really sick of this. I demand to talk to a manager. None are available but "she" will call me later today. Yah, right, they don't call back when they say they will. According to their website they are open till 5 (I assume eastern since they are in RI).

I wait an hour and no call back so call again, they're only around 2 more hours or less. Still no manager available, they'll get back to me. I'm told they are open another 4 hours. I wait another couple of hours and still no call back so I call again. Case is open, they'll call. I ask when. Usually within 24 hours. No call was received that day or today. Time to warn other and file official complaints with higher powers.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2019

During the month of March 2019 I have called the customer service number 1-800-234-6002 about 5 different times because of the miscalculation of my escrow. I was so frustrated because when I would call the phone center staff would read me numbers that were off the screen. I would tell them that the monthly payment was over 17% of my original loan agreement. I’m a 1st time home buyer and my loan was sold from CNB, to Wells Fargo, to Citizens in a matter of a week. I called and asked did they look at my loan agreement and notice I agreed to $748 per month not $900.89 a month. It would be impossible for me to be able to keep up with those type of payments that I never agreed too, and that I would foreclose on this home if Citizen One didn’t get this rectified. I wrote an email to the center and sent it to the supervisor Christina and she called me back the next day and left me a voicemail.

I tried calling her back 4 times and left 3 voicemails and she hasn't returned not one of my 3 voicemails to touch base on my account and my actual monthly payments. I also got a call from Amanda from the customer resolution team and I left her 3 voicemails and she hasn't returned one call yet. Stay away from this company. The worst customer service/communication ever! A rep named Louie is the one who found my miscalculation and had them fix it for me. I will have to call back again and get a rep on the phone to make sure of what my new monthly payments are.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have tried 5 months in a row to get my business auto loan monthly bill to be in the name of the business. I have sent certified mail return receipt with copies of the loan documents, the insurance and the property tax bill -- it does not matter. My biggest concern what if I want to sell the car -- will my business be able to or will some unknown entity that they have listed on the monthly statement be the default owner? I am filing grievance with Consumer Protection and sending letters to the entire Board of Directors and Leadership Team of Citizens One. I will never do business with this company again and am proceeding with getting my loan refinanced to be sure that I never have to deal with them again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I had a great guy in Citizens One that I was working with up until I closed on my home loan. However, he was laid off within a few weeks, and I got confusing emails about things after that. When I called to get someone new that I could ask questions to, it took 30 min to get through to a real person and they refused to assign me to a new person to help with questions. Instead, they just gave the same 800 number that took half an hour to get into the system. I would not go with this company again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Some of the worst customer service ever! Called them trying to update billing information and the customer service representative refuses to talk to me saying that I was not the holder which makes no sense due to the fact that all of the information is being sent to me! With my e-mail, with my phone number, with my address and then she hangs up on me. I call back only to have the supervisor be just as big as a ** as the customer service representative and again refuses to update the billing information.

After all this I looked Citizens Bank up online, I would avoid ever using them if you have a choice. It seems a lot of people have issues with them for one reason or another. I would be moving to another company if there was an option, unfortunately for me they are a third party company for another service. Luckily it is temporary and the main company that I talk with are not disrespectful like Citizens Bank is. In a way I am glad this happened so I know never to use them for anything in the future.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was pushed into using Citizens One when my loan was sold to them in May. I have been with them for almost 9 months now and so far they have made mistakes in processing 5 out of 9 payments, each of which requires me to spend an hour or two checking the numbers and talking with them on the phone. Then the resolution for these items is always super slow to apply, sometimes requiring follow up to ensure that the correction is actually applied. What should have been 9 transactions in my account history is now a jumbled mess of 46 different transactions. 46 transactions in only 9 months. Wow!

Don’t even bother with using their internal (secure messaging) system. It will take days to get a reply and you will frequently get a canned response coupled with a reply to information that is out of date or not what you wrote to them about. You can call them, only during weekday hours, but don’t expect that even they can understand their system. And as to calling in, see above. If you have a choice, avoid them like the plague. If not, then I am so sorry that you are stuck with them. I truly am.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We refinance our home 15 years ago. We didn't choose Citizens One. We chose a company with the best rates and conditions from Lending Tree. Within a month, they had sold our loan to Citizens One. It was a 15 year loan and the final payment is due in June of 2019. However, because of additional payments in the past, if I continued to make the monthly payment, the loan was going to be paid off by February of 2019.

We had some financial difficulties in November of 2018. In December, I realized that I wouldn't be able to make the entire January payment. So I called them to work something out. They said that my only two options were to make the full payment or request a payoff letter and pay that entire amount (Which was about $1000 more.) Needless to say, this was less than helpful. I had this crazy idea that they wouldn't say no to a partial payment, so in January, I went ahead and made a partial payment, that covered the escrow amount, the interest and about $100 of the principal. In fact, if I had continued to make this same partial payment in both Feb. and March, the amount in my escrow account would have exceeded the payout amount, and the loan would have essentially been paid off by March, 3 months early.

Instead. After keeping my money for a week, they mailed the entire payment back to me in a new check, saying that it is their policy that they do NOT ACCEPT partial payments. And they charged me a $47 missed payment fee. I wouldn't mind the missed (or late) payment fee, if they had only accepted the partial payment. At this point (mid Jan.) I asked for a payoff letter, which they sent. It gave me 1 month to pay the entire amount. In the meantime, from that moment on, I got "Collection" calls every other day, because I had "missed" the Jan. payment. Keep in mind that THEY REJECTED my partial payment, and I was still set to pay off my loan 3 or 4 months early. Also, after 15 years of electronic payments, the FINAL payment is NOT allowed to be an electronic payment!

Also, when I asked for an electronic copy of the payoff letter, (because, of course, it got misplaced almost immediately) they said that they could not do that. I could NOT double check either the payoff instructions or the amount on their website either. Nor could the customer service people give me this information over the phone. If I could not find my letter, my only options was to call customer service and request a NEW copy of the payoff letter, and then wait for it to come in the mail. (By that time, my payment would be late.) I will be SO happy to be done with this company. They are inflexible, unreasonable, and most unhelpful. It's as if they go out of their way to make it difficult to pay off the loan correctly, so that they can charge you some more. Just sleazy. In a just world, half of what these folks do would be illegal.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I was enrolled in the Apple Upgrade program and thought it was misleading since I misunderstood that I would get a new phone anytime after 12 payments (which was not true) so I thought the website was misleading. I was transferred to Citizens One, a person named Ryan was extremely rude and judgmental. I said I wanted to talk to someone else, he said "I can transfer you to my manager, since he is not here, you can leave a voice message". And he seems to be very confident of what he said, I wonder how Citizens One train their customer service staff, or maybe they are just spending all resources on making misleading commercials.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The telephone customer services was worthless. I had paid the personal property tax directly to the County of residence prior to Citizens One taking over my home loan. The result is a huge surplus in the Escrow. Citizens One would NOT follow my request to apply this excess to the principal balance. The result is that they held on to over $10,000 of excess balance for an entire year without allowing me access to these funds.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I paid my auto loan off early. I'm trying to sign the vehicle over to my daughter in law. I mailed the final payment on 11/5/2018. They cashed the check on 11/16/2018. I'm still waiting for them to get a release of lien to me. Something that is necessary in the State of Michigan. I had a supervisor from Pennsylvania tell me that I didn't need that, after I stood in line at the DMV and had them tell me the paperwork Citizens mailed me was WRONG! What the Pennsylvania supervisor (Craig **) knows is: NOTHING. I've called Citizens one three times now. Every time I call - I'm told something different. Turn around time is two hours to fax a release. Turn around time is 24 hours to fax a release. Turn around time is 48 hours to fax a release and they don't fax anything on the weekends! This place sucks!! I will never finance a vehicle with Citizens one again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I would have given zero stars if possible. I was funneled to them through the iPhone program. I expect more out of Apple to pick a better partner. They've continuously screwed my account up. I gave them new credit card and they reverted back to the closed card. They don't call you they email. I very seldom look at my personal email. It happened again, I gave them another card. They still ran the account delinquent for two months instead of taking the correct payment to get the account up to date. It has just been a mess. Do yourself a favor and as long as Apple uses this vendor get your iPhone somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I was trying to adjust online payments, but I could not log in. It said my account was not recognized. After 1Hr 12Min on hold I was told to click on an obscure link that directed me to a totally separate and rudimentary site where I am not even sure I achieved what I wanted because the website is too basic. I would take a higher rate somewhere else to get better service.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I started my payments with a credit card but decided to switch over and make payments with my debit card. They will not accept Debit Cards as a form of payment. It's 2018 people, why won't you accept a Debit card as an acceptable form of payment.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

It was time for iPhone upgrade and proceeded as Apple had indicated by following the prompts. Enter SSN and provided business credit card. Initially it was declined. I thought it was a glitch. I did it with another card and was declined again. Few min later I got an email telling me it was declined because of my credit score (which’s is satisfactory). I was very confused. One hour later I decided to call to better understand what happened. Guy on the line was clueless as to why it was declined however he acknowledged that it has to be something “wrong” since I have been part of the iPhone upgrade and never been late in my payments.

Next day I decided to call them and cancelled my loan. It was a saga. 3 transfers and bogus explanations from the “specialists”. All they read is what computer has displayed in front of them (very hard to understand their pronunciation). After 1 hour and with my problem not resolved I was able to finish the transaction. Close my Apple for life account and move on. Later on that night another representative calls me around 8 pm. Person on the phone tells me that the glitch was corrected and I can proceed with upgrade. This institution was imposed to me by Apple. Apple does not give a choice in lender. Very poor customer service and very distasteful experience. No more Citizens One loan from me.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I'm going to keep this as short as possible. Basically called in to resolve a problem with the iPhone Upgrade Program application. Very unusual but resolvable problem of a card being identified as debit, when it is credit after all (app doesn't take debit cards). Called in to resolve the issue over the phone, and the specialist puts in a ticket to technical support to manually review the card. Calls me back 2 days later to inform me that they are still detecting it as debit and that they have no further resolution and my only solve to the problem would be to use another card.

I opened up this ** credit card for the sole purpose of the iUP, and their resolve is that they cannot correct the detection of the card. If your systems are not able to differentiate between debit and credit in 2018, and don't even have the drive to resolve the issue on your end, you definitely should not be the finance partner of the most acclaimed customer-service company in the world, which is Apple. Absolutely pathetic, will never even consider iUP unless it's offered by a credible financier.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

This bank is the worst bank to deal with, they don't have any compassion for their customers and have no choices for anyone who is out of work and can't make a car payment, to defer a payment on your car loan and have to pay the interest charges on your loan is crazy, the interest on the loan is more than the principal, if you're out of work how you can you pay anything in time of hardship, they only have one option for you to choose from. Find another bank, anything can happen in life and they have no soul. It's all about the money and no cares about the customer.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had spoken to Troy and his Assistant Susie back in July to obtain a mortgage pre-qualification. I had asked multiple times not to have my credit pulled, verbally and in writing, as I was evaluating several lenders at the time and simply wanted to get information on potential interest rates. He did not even care to look into my file without pulling my credit and clearly mentioned that he had no interest in assisting with the loan without doing so. 2 months later, after never hearing a word from him, he randomly pulls my credit as well as my husband's credit from all 3 credit bureaus, without our consent. I already closed on the loan with another Bank and own the property. I have called him and e-mailed him to request a letter of deletion for me to use with all 3 credit bureaus and his response was "I'm at the gym. You're going to have to wait".

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

This “business” operates like an Abbott and Costello skit. They stopped sending payment stubs while in bankruptcy but blocked my discharge unless I paid 5k -which I did. Only to find out that they put a lien on my property. I called to find out why and how to fix things, start making payments again since I still didn’t receive any payment stubs. I got the schtick from a so called manager. I was told since it was charged off, they wouldn’t send payment stubs and I didn’t have to pay but have to pay to remove the lien but the balance wouldn’t change. Well, as I get credit report alerts that was a lie! Still no contact or payment stubs from them and the balance is now 6k over the supposed no changing balance. These people need to be out of business.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I received a personal loan offer from Citizens One. I could not get the website they sent me to take the invitation code to even check my rate. I checked around to find some way to contact them and found nothing. For a company that wants my business they sure make it impossible for me to give it. I would deal with a loan shark or the mafia before I would deal with citizens one. Tell Citizens One to pound sand. Put them out of business!

Original review: July 31, 2018

We have a Vivint security system installed in our home. Love the system, hate this company that we were not told about at installation. No way to contact, deals with student loans and I have three doctorates along with an MBA. No student loans. What a piece of crap.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I just cannot believe for 1, that they are a mortgage company, and you cannot email them, or reach anyone after hours, my biggest gripe is, I use a bill payer system through my bank, most all banks and mortgage companies have what's called electronic banking, but no not this antiquated place. They will only accept snail mail checks for payments, I think they are doing this so your payments will be late, and then they can tack on a 65.00 late fee. The bad part about all of this is I did not pick them. They bought my loan from my old mortgage company. Please get with the times, and get with real customer service...

Original review: July 6, 2018

I financed my car through Citizens One, and the entire process has been a complete mess, mostly because of them. Originally, I had taken out a warranty on the car but then decided I no longer needed it so I canceled the warranty. The warranty company initially stated I would get 62% of the warranty refunded, but I fought them and they agreed they had miscalculated and I should get 92% back. The first check had already been sent to the dealer, who had forwarded it to Citizens One and it was applied with no issue. They issued a second check for the remaining 30% of my warranty back to the dealer, who forwarded to Citizens One, and... nothing. It was never applied to my account, nothing ever came of it. I called multiple times, and they stated they couldn't even see the check. So I talked to my dealer. They showed me a copy of the check they mailed. I call Citizens One back, and they basically said they couldn't do anything.

A month goes by with me calling Citizens One back and forth over different things. Finally, my dealer calls me and says that Citizens One mailed them a copy of a check with the note that they could not apply the payment because the account number was missing. Strange, considering they had no problem applying the first check for 62%. Whatever. I call Citizens One to give them the correct account number and explain what happened and get everything sorted out. They can't have me do it though because the check isn't from me, so I have to have my dealer fax the original document that was mailed to them along with the correct account number. Fine. I give the info to them, they send it in, and I'm thinking all is well.

Another month or so goes by, and I realize that the extra 30% has never come off my account. So I call Citizens One. They're "very sorry" but they seem to have found the check and identified whatever the problem is. So they would be happy to apply the check to my account and have it applied towards my payment this month, then the remainder to principal. Great! Two weeks go by, and I get a call that my account is past due. I ask if my warranty refund got applied to my payment or if it went towards principal. I was told they had no idea what I was talking about. I explained the situation again, and they said I'd need to contact customer service.

Customer service tells me that they have no record or any notes of me ever calling them about this issue. I explain that I've called every month for the past 7 months, sometimes multiple weeks in a row. They tell me that there is nothing notated on my account, the only extra payment that was ever applied was the original 62% payment. Oh, and I also needed to make my last month's payment plus late fee while I was on the phone before it went to collections. The customer service rep I talked to was unwilling to listen to anything I had to say about what was going on with my account. She just kept telling me that my payment was late and I needed to make it and that they had no records of me calling and applying this extra payment to my account.

At this point, I don't even know what to do. I have called my dealer and advised them what happened so that they can cancel the check that was mailed 6 months ago. I've wasted so much time and energy dealing with Citizens One, and all they can tell me is "Well, we have no record of that." Seems kind of suspect when they start every call by telling you that your call is being recorded.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I went through a refinancing with Citizens One upon being referenced to them by my Northwest Mutual adviser. The people I worked with were nice. However, they made several mistakes and I felt in the dark about the whole process. They had mistyped my email and were sending things to the wrong email for a while. Everything nonetheless went forward until I hit a roadblock: after paying $600 to get an appraisal, upon seeing the appraisal, Citizens One informed me that we could not go forward with the refinance because my house is "round". The very first phone call I ever made with them, I made very clear that my house is round. But now 2 months and $600 later, they tell me it's a surprise to them. They made no attempts or apologies. They attempted to help me out a little by referring me to a place that could get me a home equity loan but that never went anywhere. I'm very disappointed in Citizens One. Don't use their services.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I tried to call and update my billing information. I was told because I was not on the loan that I could not pay it. When I requested the website to change information for the loan and for a complaint address, I was told because I wasn't on the account that this information couldn't be given to me. After 30 minutes on the phone, they continued to be rude and not allow a payment. They want to charge a late fee, but would not allow me to pay it. Also, my husband who is the account holder is working out of town and unable to call. I have all his information, including a POA while he is gone and still they refused to provide me any information or allow my payment. They have horrible customer service. Juan #** and Leon #** refused to allow me to speak with their supervisors or give me any information as to how to file a complaint or go online to correct my billing information. All I wanted was a website.

Original review: May 15, 2018

The experience I'd like to give is a zero but I am required to pick a minimum of one star. - While I was in arrears with an iPhone loan, I explained my situation trying to find out what I could do. The correspondence I received from them looked like, felt like, and tasted like spam, so I ignored them. Thinking an official document/phone call would be forthcoming. I finally received what looked like a copy of a copy of a faxed form letter from Citizens One. Now that definitely looked like spam. My personal data was breached twice in the OPM data breaches as well as in retail store ones. And my credit card data was stolen twice.

Long story short. I paid my bill and now they will never approve me for an iPhone loan. Meaning Apple's upgrade program is NOT available to me even if there are extenuating circumstances surrounding my case. The company does not have any process in place to deal with these situations. I asked for an address to file a complaint and was given a web address and had to ask for a post office address. I'm not happy with this financial organization and I will be pursuing a complaint to them. My recommendation is never do business with this organization. As to buying an iPhone? Stick to your trusted local bank for a loan. You still gotta pay for the phone.

Original review: April 24, 2018

If I could give them 0 stars I would. I received a notice charging me a $29.64 late payment fee. I called because I am 2 years ahead on my payments. They told me they would correct the problem and issue a refund. A week later, I received another notice with another fee attached. When I called again, they informed me they were working on correcting the problem (the way they applied 2 -$3000 payments) but it was not "a rush". Meanwhile, they keep assessing me with more late fees and apparently not in a hurry to correct their mistakes.

I told them I would like to pay it off over the phone right now and was informed that I have to mail in the check and pay 2 more weeks of interest (which they automatically include) because they cannot take payoffs over the phone or online. This bank sucks on customer service and I will NEVER use them again. In addition to charging me late fees for being 2 years ahead on my loan, they are tarnishing my credit by reporting it late when it's not.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Told me I was pre-approved (Personal Loan). Put a hard inquiry on my report. Asked me for a 4506-T to get my tax returns straight from the IRS. Then denied me 3 different times because they said I didn't provide enough information, even though I gave them everything each time AND the IRS sent them my returns. Wasted a whole month. Even worse was the customer service. They refuse to explain their denial and read boilerplate legalese. The supervisor refused to tell me what specifically they were missing, was rude, and actually told me that they couldn't verify even my name from my credit report or the IRS tax returns. Even my name. Just to get me off the phone. Obvious B.S. Stay away.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I sent in my check for a payment for my car to Citizens Bank. They opened the envelope and tore the check. They sent it back to me in the mail and never notified me over the phone. After 20 days they notify your credit bureau and will hurt your credit. They charged me $15.00 late fee for their mistake. I wanted to make a payment over the phone and they want to charge me $20.00 processing fee.

Talked to a supervisor named BRIDGE **. The only thing she could say is that I have to pay the $20.00 fee. She said that 4 different times and could not really care. I told her again and again that it was their fault and not my fault for the late fee and that I should not have to pay the $20.00 fee for trying to make the payment over the phone. I purchased my truck from Medved Chevrolet in Colorado. That was a bad enough experience, but this makes it even worse! Medved finances their vehicles through Citizens Bank. DON'T purchase a vehicle from Medved or DON'T finance though Citizens Bank!!! They both could care less about the customer!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have been making payment for over a year to Citizens Card on time and always twice or more than minimum payment require. Last month I sent the payment in a two days after due time and they charge $ 27 dollars late fees. Like all the payment on time mean nothing. These people are thieves and I would never deal with them again and I will try talk people from dealing with Citizens. I will tell everyone stay away from Citizens Bank.

Citizens One Company Information