1.1/5 (175 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner

Find Mortgage Lenders partners near you

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Citizens One

Citizens One offers mortgage and refinancing services. With multiple loan options available, Citizens One helps consumers find low-rate mortgages or refinance their current loans.

Find Mortgage Lenders partners near you

Pros

• Refinancing available
    • Personalized advice
    • One-on-one support

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

Citizens One offers mortgage loans, refinancing services, personal loans and home improvement loans. Find out if you qualify by visiting the company's website.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Citizens One?

Citizens One is a lender that has multiple types of mortgages and loan programs to choose from, including adjustable-rate mortgages, FHA loans, VA loans and doctor loans.

Find out if you qualify for a Citizens One mortgage by visiting its website and filling out the prequalification application. During prequalification, you find out how large of a loan you’re eligible for and what mortgage payment best fits your budget. The amount depends on the following factors:

• Debt-to-income ratio
    • Credit history
    • Credit score
    • Employment history
    • Savings
    • Down payment

Once you’ve applied and received your loan approval, Citizens One connects you with a loan specialist who works with you to create a personalized loan plan.

Citizens One rates and fees

Citizens One doesn’t advertise its mortgage rates, but you can fill out the “Check Rates” tool on its website to get a quote. To get an accurate view of Citizens One’s interest rates and fees, you must provide the following information:

• Loan purpose
    • City
    • Property use
    • Property type

Citizens One FAQ

How do I pay off my Citizens One loan?
    You can pay off your Citizens One loan online or from your phone with its mobile app. You can also have your mortgage payment automatically removed from your bank account each month.
    Are Citizens Bank and Citizens One the same?
    Citizens One is Citizens Bank’s lending business that operates outside of states with Citizens Bank branches.
    Is Citizens One a reputable company?
    Yes, Citizens Financial Group Inc., which owns Citizens One, is one of the largest and oldest financial institutions in the nation.

Is Citizens One legit?

Citizens One has multiple loan options, but it’s not available in every state. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender that has online and in-store services, visit Citizens One to apply. It also doesn't advertise its rates, which makes it more difficult to compare its loans against what other companies offer.

Citizens One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: May 3, 2022

I tried to access my Citizens One pay account with the account number emailed to me. I was unsuccessful in registering with the new account number, nor could I access my old account with my user id and password. I called to get account access help. The person that answered the phone was initially cordial but became impatient with my questions. In the end, she reset my old account and I was able to access the old account so that I could then add the new account. Fine. I hung up and tried adding the new account. I could not access the new account.

I called back and got the same person, who was immediately annoyed that I had called back. Not only was she inpatient and rude, she seemed confused as to which account I was trying to access/add. She said the new account was paid off and closed and that was why I couldn't access it. When I explained that I just opened the account, she corrected herself, stating the account was so new, I probably couldn't access it. Fine. I just have such a headache right now. She said the calls were recorded. I certainly hope they are and that a manager hears how she treated me. Is there really no customer service that is friendly in this world today? This is a person who has no business dealing with customers on a customer service line.

Original review: April 5, 2022

First of all, you better plan on the entire day if you need to speak with someone there! EVERY TIME I called I was on the phone for over an hour! I sat on hold with them one time for 96 minutes! There is absolutely no communication or documentation. They are SUPER unprofessional! The "customer service" department consist of not one person that is willing to help or even attempt to resolve an issue! We paid our vehicle off and they sent the check back to me and said the account was closed.... resent the check back to them and after 2 weeks the check was lost! Tracking number said it was delivered and signed for and it wasn't until I threatened them with legal action, then... mysteriously the check appeared! Awful is putting it nicely to describe the customer service with this institution!!!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Updated on 3/15/2022: Unable to close the account due customer service is unavailable for long hours. Reached the overdraft when I never enrolled in overdraft protection. The manager fixed the issue and rebates the overdraft but never closed my account. The Capital one took 120 dollars by transfer and I returned it to Citizens One bank. I got charge two late fee and now I’m stuck again unable to close the account. The late keeps adding on my account. I’m not in New Jersey and I’m not New York. I live in Lawrence, Kansas. ALL I WANT IS TO CLOSE THIS DAMN ACCOUNT. I have talk to bank employee in Clifton Park, NY and sent my Uncle to close this bank account/pay the balance. CITIZENS ONE BANK HAVEN'T CLOSED MY BANK ACCOUNT UNTIL NOW. Stay away from them.

Original review: This bank account kept charging me overdraft daily while I'm not local. The supervisor fixed my account but never close my checking account. The Capital One took 120 dollars and the Citizen One bank charged me 2 late fee. Every time I try to cover up one fee. A new fee gets added. The transfer wire take another fee. The customer service wait time 30 minutes to 60 minutes just close this damn account. Do not use this bank at all.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I was on the phone for more than 1 hour just to make a online account since online site couldn't find my social or account number... and the rep suddenly place me on a hold and hunger up... no return calls.. So I called back and I was on waiting for 48 minutes... Finally got to the rep and talked for 2 minutes and it got hung up again... No return calls.. Worse of worse... This company should be vanished.. I make 68 dollers a hour... Do they pay me back for my time??? They charge you if you're late on fees but do they pay you back for wasting my time for the worse customer service I ever received???

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

My original loan was sold to this company. On July 5, 2021 I was told I was pre-approved for refinance. I was told 60-90 days. When that date became close and I asked questions, I was told that it was 60-90 BUSINESS days (unheard of). 90 business days comes and goes, given a ton of excuses. As of 12/21/21, more excuses. I’ve been preapproved and approved and nothing. I spent the money on an appraisal. I have a great job and income just a horrific mortgage provider. Avoid this place at all cost!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

The customer service is VERY shady. Is this even a real company? They play games and pass you off to dead end phone numbers and fake managers. I don't understand how they are still in business. I still have no resolution to my issue with them and it's because I can never get a person who knows what they are doing.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I had no choice but to go with this company as my local lender sold my mortgage. I get it. That's what they do. BUT OMG. This company is useless. I have been calling since December 2020 to have my loan modified. It's now July 29 and I am STILL waiting. I have called every week for the last 7 months and get told something different every single time. My account has been "escalated" 3 times in the last month and STILL no phone call, no follow up, no email, NOTHING. I can't even refinance because of the status they have put my account in while we wait for an answer. I'm absolutely trapped and it's completely their fault for being incompetent. Seven months I've been waiting for an answer! It's absurd.

Original review: July 16, 2021

My auto loan was sold to Citizens One and after the issues I'm having with them I'm looking into switching loan companies. I've been making auto draft payments from my bank account for the past 3 years and suddenly my bank account information was no longer in their system and my auto payment didn't go through. I was then sent a letter that unbeknownst to me I was incurring late charges. Their online system wouldn't allow me to sign up for auto draft payments and said the account was uneligible, even though it had been eligible for years.

I called their customer service and kept getting transferred to the bill collection department even though I'd already made a payment. Whatever call service they use to connect you to India has terrible reception and it's already hard enough to understand non-native English speakers. We had a very difficult time understanding each other and it took 45 minutes to resolve a simple issue that should have taken less than 5. Very frustrating and I'm tired of speaking to unintelligble foreign call centers.

Original review: July 10, 2021

So I got this loan a year ago in August as we got Vivint security systems and this place is a joke! I paid my loan off two days before my auto pay was suppose to come out on 6.12.2021. I paid the left over amount on 6.10.21. They told me that my regular payment couldn't be stopped and that it was to close as it was auto payment in two days. I was fine with that. Then they told me that I would receive a paper in email stating, "Good job. Your loan was paid off." Then they decided to just have my pay on the 6.10.21 be my month payment even though that was not my discussion and they record the lines. So this is a joke.

So now I still owe for July cause I just got an email and was able to finally get a hold and they still haven taken the final payment out like they said. I can't stop it yet again cause we are two days away from auto pay. Even though I told them to remove me after the payment in 6.12.21 was done. The place is a scam all the way around. I WILL NEVER YOU USE THEM AGAIN!!!! The bank is worse than ALLY BANK!!!! THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING!!!!

Original review: June 25, 2021

We have a loan w/ Citizens One that in my experience is about as predatory as a loan can get. Statements usually arrive about 10 days after the statement date, which gives you about a 5 day window to get the check to them. Late charge revenue is the goal with these derps and they are pretty good at generating it, I imagine. This is a garbage loan to get yourself into and if at all possible, look to work with your local banks or another lending source if you are told the "good people" at Citizens One want to handle your loan.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Citizens One Company Information