2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Citizens One Reviews

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Trying to file complain with BBB if can. I have MI and I paid my loan down to 57% LTV to remove. They stated all I needed was a written request and had to fax or mail. I went to my local branch as I do not have a fax. My local branch sent it to their service department on a couple different days as they stated not to receive it. I called in multiple times and each time there was no record of my previous calls and when asked for other alternatives they stated to send it in via postal mail. When asked to be transferred to a manager the customer service reps would either hang up or send me to the phone tree again where I would wait on hold for another service rep. They are costing me money by not cancelling my MI and there seems to be no one willing to help. At this point I will want refunded for each additional month it is not cancelled.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Made the mistake of buying an iphone through Apple store which for some reason uses this Citizens One. Used to be the phone payments would be included in Tmobile bill which was easy. Now, managing the accounts and making payments is a nightmare. Citizens one makes this process unnecessarily painful, it's a significant amount of work and time spent online just to manage the different loan numbers, account logins, credit cards, payments, etc. In future will be sure to buy phone through tmobile and avoid the apple store.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My car loan's first payment was SEPT 30, 2019, I paid online and set up auto pay, got a letter stating auto pay enrolled effective 11/30/2019. My due date is the 30th of every month. So I paid my Oct bill and when Nov came I did not paid since I was enrolled in auto pay well on 12/03/19 I noticed no payment has went through yet for my 11/30 payment so I checked Citizens One website did not show anything pending. I was nervous so I called Citizens One and spoke to this guy. He stated to me that I was past due and needed to make payment ASAP, told him that I'm enrolled in autopay effective 11/30. He said no it is effective December so I told him how misleading that was and made a payment.

So guess what? The next day my auto pay went through, I was upset because now I'm overdrawn at the bank. I called citizen one and got, "Oh so sorry about this," their solution was they can mail me check and that will take 7-10 days....so you're telling me that my bank account is going to be overdrawn for over a week umm no. So I wasn't happy. I called my bank and they totally understand and since one of the payments was still pending was able to kick it back. Problem solved!! I called citizen one back and explained to cancel the check my bank is handling this they agreed and that was that. So what do I get in the mail a week later that check, I ignored it did not cash it. So here comes my 12/30/19 payment coming up. I assuming auto pay is going to pay, so as of 1/6/2020 no payment drawn. I go online and they show a payment on 12/30 and reversal of payment. WHAT THE HECK.

SO I called again and no one can tell me why so I explained last month's headache, so I made a complaint, spoke to Sue and she like so I see we have a case started. I said, "Yeah what Can I help you with?" So I was like what does my case state. She had no info so much for a case. Anyways I told them to disable my auto pay. I have no faith in them. I will make my own payments. This company does not know their head from their **. So I will handle my own payments starting this month and hopefully can move my auto loan in the future to someone else and will not do business with them again.

Katie

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

This bank’s service is terrible. They sent my payment back In form of a check. Why? We don’t know. Continue to say, "We don’t accept partial payments". It wasn’t. Resent the payment and the next months payment. Now they are sending the overpayment back and telling me I didn’t pay. Still waiting for this check that is “in the mail”. Have called 5 or 6 times and emailed 3. Still isn’t resolved, but am receiving letters that my payment is overdue and am at risk of losing my house. Incredibly infuriating.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Beware. Citizens One sends out advertisements for so called "prequalified" personal loans and is guilty of false advertisement. This is because they have no intention of actually lending any money. They are basically running a scam to gain your financial information. I received one of these prequalified invitations to apply for a loan at a certain low interest rate, which I should have qualified for because my credit is excellent. I was initially approved for a loan under $14,000. However, the interest rate was considerably higher than what was advertised (bait and switch scam). I should have known then that something wasn't right. However, I continued and spoke with a customer service agent who walked me through the steps of signing a promissory note, truth in lending act, and linking my bank account for disbursement of funds and so that my payment could be deducted from my checking out.

The last thing I heard from them was a missed cell phone call that went to my voice mail concerning verification of the loan to see if it was really me who applied. Then all communication with Citizens One ceased. I received no emails and no funds were ever deposited to my account. You can't contact the verification department so I called customer service only to be told by some of the rudest employees I have ever encountered that they have changed their mind and have decided to turn down the loan. And here is the real kicker... They refuse to tell me why! They said a rejection letter will be sent out in about a month.

So how much sense does this actually make? Why is it an acceptable business practice to approve a loan, stop communicating with the customer, and then turn the loan down with no notice? Also, my credit score is in the 740s with an excellent and well established payment history, I make good money, and I even have a mortgage with Citizens One, which I am always on time with my payments. I wasn't asking for a lot of money and the terms were short. I should have been the ideal candidate for this loan but was turned down anyway after first being approved. I also see that there are numerous accounts from others online who have fallen victim to this same scam. If you see any of these advertisements in the mail from Citizens One, THROW THEM AWAY!

Citizens One has the responsibility to cease with the publication of such false advertising, to engage in more ethical business practices, and to make better and more informed decisions when it comes to approving personal loans. Because of this recent fiasco with Citizens One, I am currently seeking to refinance my mortgage with another lender because I believe that if a company cannot properly handle personal loans, they most assuredly cannot manage an escrow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Worst business ever to work with. My home loan switched to Citizens One, got charged twice for the amount for $1302 for month of November 2019 for my mortgage and tried to get it returned back to my bank acct to no luck. I called several times thru the week and no one was able to help me. Every time I called it always a different person so basically I start from the beginning every time.

It been a week and half now and my money isn't even returned to my acct. They tell me they need my bank info, bank statements and written request to fax it to them and they don't even tell me that they didn't receive, faxed over so many times and they still claim they never got it. I told them then I want to send over email, I sent it. No response back at all on the status.

Worst business to work with, if I had a choice I would not be with them. I recommend people not to go with them. Please if you do I suggest doing everything locally so you can walk into their business and get it taken care of. I literally hate this company with a passion. Stalling me and my time pretending to help me get this fix which I think on their end they aren't, it's not their problem and they got their money. They don't care about you. I have to thru 2 weekends without proper expense, had to stop my life because basically they stole my money. They don't care if you cant buy food for your family or have other Bills that need to be paid or that you need gas to get to and from places. I got sick and tired of working with them so I called my bank and let them deal with it, my bank will me get my money back at least I know that for a fact. Don't ever do business with Citizens One. Bad customer service, bad response, if I could I would give them a negative 5 stars.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

This place is a scam! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. I applied for a loan, which came back as approved. I received an email saying they will call me to verify to make sure I am the person who applied for the loan. Waited all day without a single call from them. Then I received another email saying my loan has been declined because they are unable to verify if I am who I am. I called the customer service number and was transferred multiple times and each time I had to provide personal information for verification. Then I asked why nobody called to verify me and I was told that they don't make outbound calls, which is a complete LIE. Their email clearly says that someone will call me. SCAM ARTISTS. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. I will dispute the hard inquiry they placed on my credit report and report them to the BBB.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Never ever go for anything to this bank even if they are the last one on the planet. It was my rotten luck to have initially gone with this bank for my auto loan. They have no idea what is customer service. They do not call you back, they do not respond to online messages, twitter messages or emails. Bottom line, do not go with the bank.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My husband and I recently moved and Citizens One was where our mortgage was sold after closing. I paid my first month's payment as I do all my bills via online through my bank. The first payment got there. The second month was pulled from my account but Citizens One claims they never received it. They began calling my husband's work and said "that's weird" when I called and told them the payment left my account and was accepted by them! In a dispute with my bank attempting to send them payment confirmation when next month was due so I went to get a certified check to send them for my October payment.

Just received paperwork that they "have a right to invoke foreclosure based on the terms of your mortgage contract." Upon calling to discuss this, and waiting on hold forever, the automated message says they still have not received my October payment that I mailed two weeks ago as a certified check! When will the madness end!? I have paid all three months of my new mortgage on time and more than the minimum. This bank is trash and I better not have a hit on my credit because of them!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I'm an 100% disabled veteran who has all my major bills paid by my bank NFCU, once a month on the 1st; I am charged misc. fees, & receive past due notices & inconsistent % charged on my loan. Frustrated!

Not sure about Citizens One?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Citizens One Company Information