1.04/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citizens One

Looking for a mortgage lender?

103 Citizens One Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Customer service is terrible and bank cares nothing for customers. I called to make payment and during phone call requested auto deduction be stopped. My account was auto deducted despite this and checking account was charged fees. I had called 4x requesting review of charges and was told different things each time. The customer service reps completely useless and the manager unwilling to help. I was charged 145 in fees due to their error. This place is the most unprofessional mortgage company I have ever dealt with and will outright lie to avoid any fault.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I paid my loan in full, and I'm having the hardest time getting my title for my car. Every time I call them it is 50 minute wait to get someone to help me and they can't figure out how to release my title to DMV digitally so I can pick it up. Now they are telling me that my title has a name error and I have to pay them 36 dollars and wait 15-20 days to get it corrected after waiting almost a full week just for them to tell me that!!! I've bought other cars before and they just sent me my title once I've paid it off but this company gives you runaround and holds your title! Never again would get another car loan from this company!!!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

While the reps have been overall nice, every last word out of their mouths is a complete and total lie. We accidentally made a duplicate payment in the month of June and working thru the process has been a total nightmare. I was told a refund check was cut and mailed on July 5th. I made several calls leading up to our next payment due date that was approaching on July 23rd. I had never received the check. They had "escalated" my case on July 22nd. I had suggested just applying the extra payment toward July at this point. On June 26th I get the refund check. It's dated July 16th and postmarked for July 22nd. So July 5th was a lie along. I had been even checking my DECEASED neighbor's mail to make sure I hadn't been missing something for NEARLY A MONTH!!

It is now July 30th and after several more calls to the case manager with NO return call, I proceed to put the check in our bank account. After all, I'm now several days past due! When I get off work I call the regular customer service rep and the automated account info says the next payment isn't due until August. WTH?!?! So I wait on hold...again!!! The help desk rep says, "Yeah, looks like they went ahead and just credited the extra payment toward the month of July and stopped payment on the check." So now that damn check is going to the returned, funds deducted and a penalty on our account. Words can NOT express how much I loathe this company. They are worse than freaking Comcast!! That's a hard level to beat, but CONGRATSU**LATIONS Citizens One, ya did it!! I'm refinancing so I never have to deal with these lying idiots again!

Original review: July 23, 2019

Just had my loan bought by these incompetent jokers 2 months ago. They had their collections department call me to collect a payment that was already made on time as usual. I jumped through every hoop they asked. Took time off of work to meet with my bank manager to compile a bank statement a canceled check with their endorsement on it, faxed it all to them (at first they did not want to accept the canceled check from my bank as "well they can be forged and we don't know if it is fake or not"). Many follow up phone calls. Finally received a call where they informed me that it was all taken care of and I should receive a revised statement in the mail. Well that never came. What did come is a collections phone call stating that they have not received the payment in question and trying to get me to make a payment over the phone. Tried to explain all of the above to the person on the phone but he said there is no record of this.

Called customer service again on the phone and now they tell me that it is still under investigation and no time frame to when it will be resolved. Again, customer service stated that there is no record of the previous conversation that it was over and done. This company and / or the people are simply incompetent or, doing this on purpose for their own gain. So now, I find that I have to pay this company this August hoping they won't lose my payment again. I am going to purchase a phone call recorder now so I can record all of their phone calls since they don't have the technology, skill set or competence to manage that system. Not to mention performing their most basic function. Cashing a payment check; without knowing where they put the money!!

Original review: July 8, 2019

My husband procured a loan through a car dealership to finance his new Jeep. Although archaic, payments made through their "redirected" website went fine. The Jeep was purchased in December of 2015. All went along fine as long as we did not need to contact them for anything. On May 20th of 2019 my husband was swept up in a motor vehicle accident that began in the oncoming lane and entered into his lane. The vehicle was officially totaled by our insurance company on 5-21. Then began the apparently arduous and impossible task of getting a letter of guarantee (LOG) from Citizens so our insurance company could send a check. They requested one on 5-21, 5-22, 5-30, 6-4, and received nothing. They called on 6-6 and 6-10 and there was no answer and no voicemail to leave a message.

My husband and I called 2 times in late May and early June, the first call on hold for over 45 minutes and the second not quite as long. Still no one seemed to know what the status of the loan was or if payment was coming but they insisted they had sent the LOG. The insurance company tried to get the LOG again on 6-13. Still nothing came. I called again on 6-14 and after the obligatory hold time representative number three directed me to the total loss department! Where they had been all of this time is a mystery to all since neither the insurance company nor I had ever spoken to this department as we were unaware it existed.

I informed the woman there of the issues we had been having and told her that my Insurance company was done trying to contact them and that she needed to call them since they actually answer their phones. She placed the call and corresponded with an adjuster via email and the LOG was finally given to the insurance company. The check was mailed 6-17. All the while we are getting bills for a car payment for a car that we know is totaled, the insurance company knows is totaled, and Citizens knows is totaled and has known since 5-21. Their suggestion is to just keep making car payments until it is all settled. No thank you, I am not "lending" them my money until they figure it all out as the incompetence is theirs and theirs alone. We also have GAP insurance through them, we have yet to begin what I am sure will be another debacle once that comes into play.

We are now at 7-8-19. The automated system stills shows a balance on the loan of over $15,000. No credit for the $13,000+ check. I called my insurance company today to see if the check had cleared their bank. NOTHING. The insurance company called Citizens back since the check was sent three weeks ago (I gave her the number to the total loss dept.) and had still not been processed.

After lots of confusion and head scratching at Citizens and being put on hold, and having to call the insurance company back they still have no answer. They cannot find the check. They are currently on a scavenger hunt of sorts and will call her back tomorrow with, hopefully, an answer. In the meantime Citizens is still thinking I should just keep making car payments as usual. We are 7 weeks in, still no end in sight. The insurance company will put stop payment on the check tomorrow if it can't be located. The next will go certified, return receipt, although I am not sure that will help these people. They couldn't get out of their own way if their life was in danger. AVOID.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: July 7, 2019

I had the worst experience with this bank for the past 3 years. I am even contemplating taking another loan at a higher interest to pay them off just so I don't have to deal with these squad of crooks and thieves. They have been charging me late fees for the past 36 months and EVEN WHEN I HAVE PAID 4 MONTHS in advance they still charge the late fees. I have complained to the better BBB and they said there is nothing They can do, and the only solution they give me is to refinance my debt with another banks.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS FINANCING PARASITE. Even if another company offers you a higher interest. This people have tarnish my credit and after spending dozens of hours in the phone with countless number of inept and unwilling to help unprofessional **, they still refuse to fix my credit report. I didn't even asked for a refund for the 36 months of fraudulent charges, just to remove it from my credit file and they refused. I don't have the time nor the energy for litigation with these squad of crooks. All I can do is make people aware of these crooks practices. The BBB is aware and every other monitoring agency, but like they told me, THERE Nothing they CAN DO.

Original review: July 2, 2019

So let’s start off about how they took TWO payments from me. I called and they could not refund one of them. I called my bank and they were able to get my money back. And then they send me emails and letters stating I owe them. So I called my bank and asked about refinancing options which they were able to approve me for. So I called Citizens for a 10 day pay off and title to be faxed over. 2 weeks later they never sent it. And when I called them and gave them the request number the guy updated my address. He did not put in the request for a 10 day pay off or title. Stay away from this bank. I’ve constantly had to fight with them over everything and it’s been a terrible experience.

Original review: June 25, 2019

We purchased a home and used Citizens One for the mortgage. Two days before closing interest rates dropped significantly so I called my mortgage broker to see if we could get the lower rate. My nephew is a mortgage broker in another state and he told us there is something called a drop down and the broker has the power to drop the rate, so I asked. Our rate was at 4.50% and rates dropped to 4.25%. I was told he could only go as low as 4.375%.

At that time I told him if he didn't lower to the 4.25% I would close on the loan and simply refinance when we relocated to the new home in another state. When I inquired, the local bank in our new state of Louisiana had given me a 4.00% rate, so I went with them. We started the process when we settled in and promptly we got a call from the broker very upset that we were refinancing, saying he was going to lose his commission. When I reminded him of our conversation he grumbled and hung up.

So...fast forward to the new closing. We closed the refi on the 7th of June. The payoff was good through the 14th of June so on the 12th the title company over-nighted the payoff check which we have proof they received on the 13th at 9:06am. However they did not post the payment until the 17th, the same day they debited my account for $3k for the June payment although they had the payoff in hand. When I called demanding my mortgage payment back, they told me they had 21 days to credit my account and since the payment didn't post until the 17th I owed three days more of interest since the payoff was good through the 14th.

When I pushed back and asked for a supervisor, of course none were available so I was promised a callback. And of course no one called back. One week later, I called again, explained the entire process again and was told once more they had 21 days. I again asked for a supervisor and none got on the line, but the rep said the supervisor was going to another department to see if they could help me. So now I wait 15 minutes on hold and was finally told they had to wait until 10 days so they could not refund my mortgage until the afternoon of the 28th. Keep in mind they still owe me about $2500 in escrow money they are still keeping until the 21st day as their policy states. Horrible company whit whom to work. Stay away from these guys.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My husband and I occurred some hardship over several years between job loss and health and we were still keeping our head above water as I was the sole breadwinner of a family of 4 but it got to be too much within the last year and we attempted to negotiate a lower mortgage payment, the only way this could occur was through a forbearance process. The process is too long to explain but it occurs over a 6 month span. We have been with Citizens for a long time but the bank staff and the online mortgage staff have 2 different philosophies on customer service.

We had an associate assigned to our account that left us monthly voice mails.... period. We had 1 contact during the initial setup but never spoke with our primary contact during the entire 6 months, even after leaving countless messages and scheduling callbacks: this never occurred, she never returned calls and she never call backed with our scheduled calls. When I reached out to different associates, I would most often get different answers to many questions I had. I actually went to the bank for assistance and even the bank had difficulty reaching staff on the "back line." It was against my better judgment to go through this process to begin with but it is now complete and we have no guidance towards resolving this situation.

I reached out to other associates who stated that I needed to email certain documents to a particular email group. After following up several times it seems "no one has received any of our emails. These were sent over 6 times with the email verified as well. This has been the worse and most stressful experience that I have dealt with, nevermind dealing with the health issues that drove us to complete this forbearance AND we still have not gotten anywhere with the lowering of our mortgage payment. I have been in customer service for years and I have to say this was absolutely THE worst experience I have had.

And although I probably should have assumed this, I did not realize that my credit would have been affected by this process as I had a flawless record. I do not recommend this company to anyone. Everything in today's world is online and voice messages and you are unable to speak to an actual person who knows their job, but this has been by far the worst I have seen. The time wasted on attempting to reach a qualified person was painful. Sign a frustrated middle class worker.

Original review: June 3, 2019

First time homeowner here. My loan was sold off within the first week to Citizens One. I keep getting checks back for escrow overpayment. Not the bad of deal. But I can’t get anyone to change my monthly escrow payment to the correct one. I’m basically paying $90 a month extra. On top of that every time I call I’m on hold for at least 30min and hr. In some cases like currently I’ve been on hold for 45min and just like before it will probably keep going until they close and I have to call again tomorrow. This place sucks. Get out of it if you can.

Citizens One Company Information