1.1/5 (175 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Citizens One

Citizens One offers mortgage and refinancing services. With multiple loan options available, Citizens One helps consumers find low-rate mortgages or refinance their current loans.

Pros

• Refinancing available
  • Personalized advice
  • One-on-one support

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

Citizens One offers mortgage loans, refinancing services, personal loans and home improvement loans. Find out if you qualify by visiting the company's website.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Citizens One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: April 17, 2020

Unethical, dishonest company. I pay down my mortgage with additional principal payments. I send check where the coupon and statement say to send. I carefully document my payment. They misapply my payment to interest EVERY TIME.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Sold to them by Franklin American about 3 months ago. I set up auto-draft immediately and this month on the 13th received a statement showing where the computer never processed the payment and they had loan mitigation information posted on the bottom. This is the only thing I have ever paid late and immediately jumped online to make a one-time draft payment, well 3 business days later that payment still has not been processed. I try to call and the only option I get is credit counseling department and there is a 2 hour hold time. I only get through to one person and she hangs up on me almost right after she answered. This is a nightmare.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Unfortunately, many of us whose mortgages are held by this criminal entity never chose to have a relationship with them, as our mortgages were "sold" to them by Franklin American without consultation or notice. Nonetheless, even a predatory agency like Citizens One should at least have a functional web site and/or answer the phone. Add my name to the list of complainants and negative reviewers who have endured hold-times of in excess of 2 hours before being disconnected. One reviewer here wondered aloud why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against Citizens One. Whether or not my own grievances with them may be legally actionable, if ever there IS a class action suit, I'll gladly support it in whatever way I can. In the meantime, I have filed complaints with my state's Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, and the Attornies General in both Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Additionally, and because companies like Citizens One, which financial advisors and media outlets now openly describe as "vultures", or "vulture-investors" have a great deal of latitude to practice their predation, I shall be writing to my Federal representatives to propose a law prohibiting or restricting the sale of mortgages without permission or input from the consumers.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I have a mortgage with Citizens since 10/2017, I paid by auto-draft on time always. This company will not even offer 1 payment deferral during crisis. My primary residence is with Navy Federal and with no hassle they gave us 3 months deferred payments!! I will always bank with big banks from this point forward, cheesy banks are just that... cheesy. I will be refinancing that house with Navy very soon and getting a better APR in the way.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I have an auto loan at Citizens One and I need to call to negotiate financing in the face of this pandemic crisis and I have already called other days and they do not answer. This is the worst bank to make contact, I am already more than an hour in hold today. They have no other option to contact on the website. no chat and no email to contact. this is very STUPID BANK.

Original review: April 3, 2020

We've tried working with them, they refuse to move on anything unless you submit 20 pages of paperwork that you have to fax in! THEN they will evaluate your situation. Meanwhile, they are still charging me a late fee on my mortgage, and will not let me pay it in 2 payments since we've been put on reduced hours, this company needs to be reported for their terrible business ethics!

Original review: March 27, 2020

As others have stated, my home loan was recently sold to Citizens One by Franklin Financial. We rarely check our mail and started getting recorded phone calls from Citizens One to call them at a certain number. Then we start getting passed due notices in the mail for 2 months but the first month was paid to Franklin and the next month wasn't due until the 15th. We have attempted to call Citizens One about a dozen times and the recording says high call volumes and no one ever picks up. We have sat on hold for over an hour at least 6 times. What prompted me to write this review is as I type this, we currently have 3 phones all on hold with Citizens One and all for over an hour, and 2 for 1.5 hours so far. Wife' cell, my cell, and our landline. This is a joke and Citizens One is a joke.

This is my first experience with them, and I know there is a lot going on in the world, but do not constantly call my house with an automated message saying to call and when we do call no one ever picks up the phone. No customer service whatsoever. I am now going to look into refinancing just so I don't have to deal with this 3rd rate bunch. Stay away from Citizens One. You have been warned. There isn't an option for zero or negative stars or that's what I would rate them at this point.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Run from Citizens One! Worst mortgage lender in the country! Scary. Not even accredited. Reviews online are atrocious. They offer NO help during Coronavirus crisis! Every credible mortgage lender in the country is deferring mortgages. Not this greedy, inhumane lender.

Original review: March 25, 2020

A lot of us don't have control on who buys our mortgages, but I would certainly stay away from this company if at all possible. With the current Covid 19 pandemic in this country, many lenders are offering deferral. This company's "share holders," are not offering any such assistance during this crisis, nor are anticipating doing so. They are offering to not report any late payments to credit agencies as well as a possible forbearance for 3 months. If I cannot make my next monthly mortgage payment now, why would they think that I can make up 3 months worth of payments in 3 months after not working that time? They suggest to then talk to a "specialist," who would then discuss other options that I assume would be an additional loan, burying their customers further in debt. This feels extremely predatorial. I don't know what else to say. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: March 19, 2020

Updated on 03/23/2020: On 19Mar20, I submitted a review on Citizens One Home Loans Co. Later on that same day, I was finally contacted via phone call by a Cit/One Representative and was assisted with accessing their Website to to register my mortgage loan account that had been sold to them by Franklin American Mortgage. Hopefully, business will be non-problematic. My rating has been moved from 1 to 2 stars.

Original Review: Apparently, in Feb/2020, Franklin American Mortgage company decided to sell my perfectly functioning Home loan account to Citizens One Home Loans. As of this date, March 19, 2020, registration of my Account on Citizens One Website is impossible and 3 phone contact attempts daily at a.m and/or p.m., since Feb results in recordings stating high volume calls and directing me to the non-functional Website. On two occasions the recording said 'you will receive a callback in 14 minutes and the second time; you will receive a callback in 28 minutes.' There's no callback from Citizens One. I'm supposed to pay money to this Company with no choice; Who are these people?

Original review: March 19, 2020

Affected by Coronavirus - schools and daycares. We have our schools shut down along with our daycare so my wife and I have had to take turns staying home to watch our daughter. The majority of big banks are allowing loan deferrals to help out during this time. Citizen One, is only stopping late fees and credit reporting, but you still will need to make up for the missed payments. I am a current customer, not a delinquent one. I don't want to go past due, along with having to try and make it up, especially since this is not over.

Original review: March 9, 2020

My home loan was just taken over by Citizens One Home Loans. I can already tell that they have no customer service. They only allow you to do it their way. They want your bank account information and provide no mortgage stub to make a payment. I have been on the phone waiting for a half hour now to see if I can find a way to pay the way I normally do. This is all about them and keeping cheap for them and I have no choice in where my loan goes. I would pick zero stars, but I don't know if this system allows you to. They finally picked up and hung up on me saying they couldn't hear me. This is not going to go well.

Original review: March 6, 2020

My home loan was sold to Citizens One by Franklin Mortgage over a year ago. From the beginning it has been my impression that this company is not interested in caring for its customers. The mortgage isn't due until the 15th but if not received by the 1st, they send a billing for the next payment with added charges and a double payment due. Then when the payment is received by the due date, they send out a second billing for the single payment due. They just sent out Escrow shortages, mine was north of $1,100 dollars. They always have an explanation for why their business practices are what they are, but at the end of every conversation the impression is, "It's what we do, like it or not."

Original review: March 4, 2020

As I read down thru these reviews they are all eerily similar. Mine is similar as well. Long story short my loan was sold to this bank and when I got the letter in the mail explaining all of this to me I immediately put in action a refinance. This bank has ALWAYS had a horrible reputation. I have only paid 1 payment and luckily since I have a VA loan after 6 months I can do what is called a VA IRRRL loan. Paperwork is already started. Long story short they cant seem to mail my tax check to my local authority here in PA.

My tax agent here doesn't accept electronic deposits and I have explained this to them 100 times or so. What did they do? Send it electronically. When I asked, "If you can recall the check," the idiot on the phone literally hung up on me. So I called back and eerily I got a completely different story. I was then told it was mailed. Taxing authority still doesn't have it in PA. At this point I don't care 1 bit. They can take the house. Personally I don't want it. After my 6th payment I am gone to PNC Bank. As soon as I opened my mailbox and saw that my loan was bought by Citizens One I knew immediately I would be refi. with another bank. Their reputation is absolutely horrible and always has been. So now they lost 1249.91 of my escrow money that is gone in the wind.

Original review: March 3, 2020

How has a class-action suit not been filed against this company? My father passed away in mid-December and I, as the Trustee of his Living Trust, have provided all the necessary legal documentation to this institution, and still no information provided to me regarding the mortgage. The customer rep told me the living trust isn't valid because my father died. I get a different person every time I call and none of them seem to know anything. The story changes on a daily basis from yes, we have the paperwork to no, we don't have the paperwork. Citizens One accepted the February house payment, but applied it to the principal and then charged late fees saying the February payment wasn't made. I just want to pay off this mortgage and never deal with this company again. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

Original review: March 1, 2020

My mortgage used to be with Franklin American but then was, I believe bought out by Citizens One Home Loans. I liked Franklin American Mortgage better but at least now Citizens One Home Loans doesn't call all the time wondering where their payment is when I do online banking to send it. FAM didn't call as often which I preferred. I do like COHL though overall.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Trying to file complain with BBB if can. I have MI and I paid my loan down to 57% LTV to remove. They stated all I needed was a written request and had to fax or mail. I went to my local branch as I do not have a fax. My local branch sent it to their service department on a couple different days as they stated not to receive it. I called in multiple times and each time there was no record of my previous calls and when asked for other alternatives they stated to send it in via postal mail. When asked to be transferred to a manager the customer service reps would either hang up or send me to the phone tree again where I would wait on hold for another service rep. They are costing me money by not cancelling my MI and there seems to be no one willing to help. At this point I will want refunded for each additional month it is not cancelled.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Made the mistake of buying an iphone through Apple store which for some reason uses this Citizens One. Used to be the phone payments would be included in Tmobile bill which was easy. Now, managing the accounts and making payments is a nightmare. Citizens one makes this process unnecessarily painful, it's a significant amount of work and time spent online just to manage the different loan numbers, account logins, credit cards, payments, etc. In future will be sure to buy phone through tmobile and avoid the apple store.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My car loan's first payment was SEPT 30, 2019, I paid online and set up auto pay, got a letter stating auto pay enrolled effective 11/30/2019. My due date is the 30th of every month. So I paid my Oct bill and when Nov came I did not paid since I was enrolled in auto pay well on 12/03/19 I noticed no payment has went through yet for my 11/30 payment so I checked Citizens One website did not show anything pending. I was nervous so I called Citizens One and spoke to this guy. He stated to me that I was past due and needed to make payment ASAP, told him that I'm enrolled in autopay effective 11/30. He said no it is effective December so I told him how misleading that was and made a payment.

So guess what? The next day my auto pay went through, I was upset because now I'm overdrawn at the bank. I called citizen one and got, "Oh so sorry about this," their solution was they can mail me check and that will take 7-10 days....so you're telling me that my bank account is going to be overdrawn for over a week umm no. So I wasn't happy. I called my bank and they totally understand and since one of the payments was still pending was able to kick it back. Problem solved!! I called citizen one back and explained to cancel the check my bank is handling this they agreed and that was that. So what do I get in the mail a week later that check, I ignored it did not cash it. So here comes my 12/30/19 payment coming up. I assuming auto pay is going to pay, so as of 1/6/2020 no payment drawn. I go online and they show a payment on 12/30 and reversal of payment. WHAT THE HECK.

SO I called again and no one can tell me why so I explained last month's headache, so I made a complaint, spoke to Sue and she like so I see we have a case started. I said, "Yeah what Can I help you with?" So I was like what does my case state. She had no info so much for a case. Anyways I told them to disable my auto pay. I have no faith in them. I will make my own payments. This company does not know their head from their **. So I will handle my own payments starting this month and hopefully can move my auto loan in the future to someone else and will not do business with them again.

Katie

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

This bank’s service is terrible. They sent my payment back In form of a check. Why? We don’t know. Continue to say, "We don’t accept partial payments". It wasn’t. Resent the payment and the next months payment. Now they are sending the overpayment back and telling me I didn’t pay. Still waiting for this check that is “in the mail”. Have called 5 or 6 times and emailed 3. Still isn’t resolved, but am receiving letters that my payment is overdue and am at risk of losing my house. Incredibly infuriating.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Beware. Citizens One sends out advertisements for so called "prequalified" personal loans and is guilty of false advertisement. This is because they have no intention of actually lending any money. They are basically running a scam to gain your financial information. I received one of these prequalified invitations to apply for a loan at a certain low interest rate, which I should have qualified for because my credit is excellent. I was initially approved for a loan under $14,000. However, the interest rate was considerably higher than what was advertised (bait and switch scam). I should have known then that something wasn't right. However, I continued and spoke with a customer service agent who walked me through the steps of signing a promissory note, truth in lending act, and linking my bank account for disbursement of funds and so that my payment could be deducted from my checking out.

The last thing I heard from them was a missed cell phone call that went to my voice mail concerning verification of the loan to see if it was really me who applied. Then all communication with Citizens One ceased. I received no emails and no funds were ever deposited to my account. You can't contact the verification department so I called customer service only to be told by some of the rudest employees I have ever encountered that they have changed their mind and have decided to turn down the loan. And here is the real kicker... They refuse to tell me why! They said a rejection letter will be sent out in about a month.

So how much sense does this actually make? Why is it an acceptable business practice to approve a loan, stop communicating with the customer, and then turn the loan down with no notice? Also, my credit score is in the 740s with an excellent and well established payment history, I make good money, and I even have a mortgage with Citizens One, which I am always on time with my payments. I wasn't asking for a lot of money and the terms were short. I should have been the ideal candidate for this loan but was turned down anyway after first being approved. I also see that there are numerous accounts from others online who have fallen victim to this same scam. If you see any of these advertisements in the mail from Citizens One, THROW THEM AWAY!

Citizens One has the responsibility to cease with the publication of such false advertising, to engage in more ethical business practices, and to make better and more informed decisions when it comes to approving personal loans. Because of this recent fiasco with Citizens One, I am currently seeking to refinance my mortgage with another lender because I believe that if a company cannot properly handle personal loans, they most assuredly cannot manage an escrow.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Worst business ever to work with. My home loan switched to Citizens One, got charged twice for the amount for $1302 for month of November 2019 for my mortgage and tried to get it returned back to my bank acct to no luck. I called several times thru the week and no one was able to help me. Every time I called it always a different person so basically I start from the beginning every time.

It been a week and half now and my money isn't even returned to my acct. They tell me they need my bank info, bank statements and written request to fax it to them and they don't even tell me that they didn't receive, faxed over so many times and they still claim they never got it. I told them then I want to send over email, I sent it. No response back at all on the status.

Worst business to work with, if I had a choice I would not be with them. I recommend people not to go with them. Please if you do I suggest doing everything locally so you can walk into their business and get it taken care of. I literally hate this company with a passion. Stalling me and my time pretending to help me get this fix which I think on their end they aren't, it's not their problem and they got their money. They don't care about you. I have to thru 2 weekends without proper expense, had to stop my life because basically they stole my money. They don't care if you cant buy food for your family or have other Bills that need to be paid or that you need gas to get to and from places. I got sick and tired of working with them so I called my bank and let them deal with it, my bank will me get my money back at least I know that for a fact. Don't ever do business with Citizens One. Bad customer service, bad response, if I could I would give them a negative 5 stars.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

This place is a scam! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. I applied for a loan, which came back as approved. I received an email saying they will call me to verify to make sure I am the person who applied for the loan. Waited all day without a single call from them. Then I received another email saying my loan has been declined because they are unable to verify if I am who I am. I called the customer service number and was transferred multiple times and each time I had to provide personal information for verification. Then I asked why nobody called to verify me and I was told that they don't make outbound calls, which is a complete LIE. Their email clearly says that someone will call me. SCAM ARTISTS. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. I will dispute the hard inquiry they placed on my credit report and report them to the BBB.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Never ever go for anything to this bank even if they are the last one on the planet. It was my rotten luck to have initially gone with this bank for my auto loan. They have no idea what is customer service. They do not call you back, they do not respond to online messages, twitter messages or emails. Bottom line, do not go with the bank.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My husband and I recently moved and Citizens One was where our mortgage was sold after closing. I paid my first month's payment as I do all my bills via online through my bank. The first payment got there. The second month was pulled from my account but Citizens One claims they never received it. They began calling my husband's work and said "that's weird" when I called and told them the payment left my account and was accepted by them! In a dispute with my bank attempting to send them payment confirmation when next month was due so I went to get a certified check to send them for my October payment.

Just received paperwork that they "have a right to invoke foreclosure based on the terms of your mortgage contract." Upon calling to discuss this, and waiting on hold forever, the automated message says they still have not received my October payment that I mailed two weeks ago as a certified check! When will the madness end!? I have paid all three months of my new mortgage on time and more than the minimum. This bank is trash and I better not have a hit on my credit because of them!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I'm an 100% disabled veteran who has all my major bills paid by my bank NFCU, once a month on the 1st; I am charged misc. fees, & receive past due notices & inconsistent % charged on my loan. Frustrated!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

The personal loans site has a page to make one-time payments and to payoff your loan. The form on the page does not function. On submit, you get the following message: paymentAmount must be of the form "99999999.999". This message has been present for 6 months (at least). I spoke with a customer service representative, he confirmed this is a known issue, they have no timeline to fix it, and could not tell me about their process to get it on a backlog.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

All I see is bad reviews about this bank. Mine was not exception. Can all of us get together to formally sue this bank. They sent me to collections for a $38 balance on a car loan that I ended up returning the very next day because I didn't agree with the dealership to purchase their GAP. I called the bank and they told me they can't do anything and I had to pay or be sent to collection...and they did...Can we all do something about this bank and take this further and not just post bad reviews.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I moved from Ohio to New Mexico and had to make numerous requests for a Lien holder Title. Only to find out that Citizens One state change requests are processed by a third party and they charge $36.00 to process and release your title to the DMV. I began this process in July 2019 and have still not been able to register my vehicle in October 2019. I spoke with Citizens One and the third party, My Title Support, today and was told it would be another 6 weeks. My temporary registration runs out every 30 days, which means I will have to sit at the DMV at least 2-3 more times. I will be looking to refinance my car as soon as possible. I do not recommend working with Citizens One or their fishy "third party."

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Our home loan was sold to Citizens One. Every month they processed our payment incorrectly so we had to call and waste 30-45 minutes on the phone. Everyone was pleasant, they just do not know anything about loans, how to make corrections or look up something on the computer. One month, while calling to have the payment corrected Again....my husband had to explain to a nice lady there how a payoff amount is calculated. In the past 3 months we have paid off this loan instead of another with higher interest just so we do not have to deal with the aggravation each month. I am sure it will be a long wait for the deed and 100+ from escrow.

Citizens One Company Information