Find a Mortgages partner

2. Mortgages

1.1/5 (170 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Citizens One

Citizens One offers mortgage and refinancing services. With multiple loan options available, Citizens One helps consumers find low-rate mortgages or refinance their current loans.

Pros

• Refinancing available
  • Personalized advice
  • One-on-one support

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

Citizens One offers mortgage loans, refinancing services, personal loans and home improvement loans. Find out if you qualify by visiting the company's website.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Citizens One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens One?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

This bank is the most unscrupulous mortgage company I have ever dealt with. The customer services agents are probably not in the united states, and really don't care about resolving any issues. I signed up for the covid forbearance program for 90 days, and for the past 6 months they have refused to remove me from the program. I have called several times to have my account taking of forbearance with no success. I have made several payments on time for the past 4 months and spoken to at least 6 agents requesting my account be returned back to normal, with no success. The 4 payments I have made has not been applied to my account, and I just received a alert from my credit monitoring bureau stating my mortgage balance has increased. How does ones mortgage principal increase when I'm in forbearance?

I have tried calling their customer service for accounting and assistance, but they give me conflicting responses. A simple request to have an electronic recipe of my payments have been ignored for the past 4 months. I just googled this bank, and noticed similar complaints by other customers, so there is obviously something extremely wrong going on at this bank. I will be contacting the consumer protection agency about this bank. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I have reached out to Citizens One regarding a recent November 2020 refinance of my mortgage. My Citizens One pay-off was sent and processed by Citizens one but they did not close my account. They kept billing me for Escrow payments for two months which I did not pay. This lack of payment resulted in Citizens One posting 30 day and 60 day late payment with the credit reporting agencies. As of January 20, 2021, my credit report is showing 60 day late pay on my 'closed mortgage' account. Unable to get resolution from Jamille B. in customer support. Impossible to get someone at this company to resolve issue... Next action is a formal complaint with NC consumer protection agency.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Over the period of 6 or more months, I have been working to change information pertaining to my mortgage. Forms were requested to be sent in, which were received. Every phone call to check on the status of the account lead to “requiring additional documents” in order to complete this process. Now the company is claiming to no longer have a form I’ve previously sent in. Issue is dragging out and is still unresolved. The company is NOT organized and have ZERO compassion in resolving the issue.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

WORST LENDER I have ever encountered. I wish I could leave ZERO stars. Not only did your representative laugh at me on the phone after hearing me cry because you have put me through absolute hell, but you’re also going to destroy my credit over your mistake! You put my September and October payments in a suspension account and then lost my payment for November (saying it had been returned when it hasn’t). Now I’m in collections over your mistake. All of your representatives are rude and incompetent. I’ve filed a complaint through RI Attorney General, the BBB, and the FBI Mortgage Fraud department. You’re not going to steal my money without a fight, I’m refinancing ASAP. Your company is nothing but FRAUD. How is there not a civil lawsuit against this company?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

If I could give Citizen's one a negative star they would have it. They have screwed up my refinance on more than one occasion. Trying to get their second ridiculous mistake corrected and all I get is hung up on and out on a several day call back waiting list. If you value accuracy and integrity especially when it comes to something as important as buying a home or refinancing you have been warned. This company is trash and place your trust in a more reputable company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Purchased my loan from a local mortgage company. Customer service is absolutely garbage as well. Seems they have almost nobody working there. Stay away from them, not good to do business with. I refinanced, still took money from my account and then didn't give it all back after my attempts to get a hold of anybody. Me and my new company are baffled, so just take the experience from me. They say they'll try to get back to you 3 times if they miss you, they don't. Good luck if these guys have your mortgage. 1 star is too much.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I refinanced my home and the company who refinanced sold my mortgage to Citizens One. Then my first payment to the old company lost for two months and finally found and applied but the extra money that I intended to pay into the principal was applied to the escrow. I tried to request the extra money to be applied to the principal but citizens one is not willing to do it. I don't know where to complain. They always say okay but they are not actually willing to do it.

When phone call that takes 7 days to get through didn't solve the issue, I tried using their secure email and have several conversation with them but it looks like they are making fun of me. Mrs ** was responding to most of my emails and it looks like she never read my email but she just write something. Stay away from this company if you can. My next payment will be Nov 1st, 2020. I am expecting them playing another game with me. The reviews I see here and my experience with them in the past three months is telling me that.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Had a billing issue and attempted to contact customer service to correct. Six calls over 6 weeks to a call center apparently off-shore as all calls were handled by English speaking second language representatives. All they could do is state what the computer showed and offered no help. They put payments in "suspension" and did not apply to the account. Then they report to credit bureau as past due causing my credit score to drop. Then they add numerous late charges. This was a home loan that they purchased from another lender. A one star rating is too high.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Horrible experience with the auto loan. We paid on time for a few months, then decided to just pay it off in full. After we did that we stopped receiving bills in the mail for two months until a late notice arrived for $15. We called, and they said to not worry about it, they would remove the $15 from the account and we would be considered paid in full. Four months later, and ZERO more bills or notices in the mail, credit score drops again because the $15 bill is still on the account. We call them again and they "Don't know how that could have happened."

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I have excellent credit; have purchased multiple rentals in just the last 20 years and have Never had an issue until Citizens One acquired Franklin several months ago. I always pay more than the minimum - usually double. And I always pay early. See pic of my loan activity attached - proof of what I'm sharing here. When Citizens One took over this particular mortgage, they immediately took my first payment and treated it as if it was two monthly payments - charging double interest and escrow. When I realized this - I reached out to them by phone and after multiple long waits on hold gave up and contacted them via their secure messaging. After a week they got back to me and corrected it.

A couple months later they applied my monthly payment to principal only and then shortly thereafter assessed me with late fees. Once again it was impossible to reach Citizens One on the phone - but this time finally accepted the option for a call back in 3 days between 1 and 4 pm. They never called. Very frustrating as I am very busy every day. So again my only option was to take this up via their secure messaging. By then - with lots of research (wasted time) I realized that my next payment had been applied to the previous month's interest and escrow. With no way to directly contact Citizens One to correct this - I was forced to immediately make another payment to avoid a second late fee. It's now been over 45 days and still have no resolution to removal of the late fee. They have finally admitted it was their fault - but so far have not reversed the late fee.

Today I discovered that my most recent payment was again applied only to principal (they failed again to take interest and escrow). Again no way to reach them on the phone to resolve. When I finally checked Citizens One reviews I realized that this type of accounting and service is baked into the company seemingly by design. Conclusion: Unless you have a lot of time to watch every move these guys make, and you have unlimited patience to deal with all but non-existent customer service --- Avoid Citizens One! If you have ANY other option - do it. It's very hard to believe there could be a worse company than these guys and still be in business.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Citizens One has been one of the worse companies I have ever dealt with from the beginning. Drew ** forgot to lock my rate in and it went downhill from there. Now, they did not pay my wind insurance and after repeated calls from myself and insurance agent, they have charged me for 2019 for insurance I never had! I have been calling and requesting to speak to a Supervisor for over 2 months now. No calls back. My flood insurance is no longer necessary but I have not received a refund. The amounts do not add up and I seriously question this company and their practices. My goal now is to contact as many regulatory companies I can. Also, the BBB.

Original review: July 27, 2020

Have called 10-12 times in the past several months to correct an escrow account, talked to an extremely rude representative, talked to no one most of the time. Would love to refinance just to get away from this awful company, but it's not a good financial move, even with the low interest right now, closing costs would wipe out any savings from it. They say they will call back--in 3 days!!

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have spent over six hours the past three days trying to resolve this situation. My homeowners insurance told me that my policy would be canceled this week for non-payment of the renewal premium. They did not receive this from my escrow account. When I've tried to call the customer service number, I cannot get answers nor talk to a real person. After three days, I was finally able to schedule a call back for today between 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. I actually received a call from someone at 7:35 pm. I was so happy to finally be able to talk to a real person from Citizens. However, all he did was give me a different phone number to call for Citizens Insurance Dept. This is the same phone number that I received from my branch manager of Citizens that I have tried to call many times without ever being able to reach a real person.

I had to pay my homeowners policy out of pocket, and yet the customer service department said that it shows on his end that this was paid weeks ago. I said that I need proof of that so that I can get reimbursed by my insurance company because they are saying they never received any payment from Citizens for the renewal this month. Again, I was directed to this other phone number where I have already had zero success resolving this issue the past two days after spending many hours trying to do so.

I asked the customer service person why he (or someone else in his department) isn't finding an answer to this by calling their own people, so if they have paid it, they can then send me proof of a canceled check so that I can get my $432.00 back. I probably will never get another mortgage again unless I refinance my current one. But if I do that, I certainly will not use Citizens One Home Loans for this mortgage...nor would I ever recommend to anyone else that they should do so.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Assessed late fees to COVID impacted borrowers, even when borrowers declared impacted under “CARES Act” (H.R. 748), 27 March 2020 LAW. They removed the late fee when that had been received but it's not been returned or credited towards Principal (Just Lost). This probably adds up to millions of dollars across the board.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Please avoid this company like the plague, unless you enjoy a total lack of resolution for any problems, big or small. Citizens One has made every difficult situation even more difficult over the past ten years. They were fully unhelpful and even rude as I tried to refinance my mortgage with them after a divorce, they continued to hold a lien on my property for a home equity loan that should have been released after my former husband's bankruptcy, thus preventing me from refinancing elsewhere, and last month a giant tree fell on my house doing over $30,000 in damages (more than what is owed on the mortgage) and their "processing" time has brought the claim to a screeching halt. The sizable claim required that the insurance check and a variety of documents be submitted to them and they would disburse my funds back to me.

They had everything over two weeks ago and thus far submitted not a dime to me; I had to pay out-of-pocket to get my roof repaired, lest I sustain even more water damage, and my deck continues to look like a pile of rubble, my pool is crunched, my siding is scraped and scratched, and gutter is hanging because 7-10 business days to process seems to have turned into 3-5 weeks. Meantime, I'm attempting to do whatever is necessary to get out from under them so I called to get a payoff amount; they said they can't give me one because of the insurance damage claim. The customer service reps are usually--but not always--polite but ineffective; they attempt to be helpful but there is no access to the people who actually review claims/requests and make the decisions that impact the house in which you live and the money you pay for it. They're a terrible company to have to deal with.

Original review: June 28, 2020

We had refinanced our mortgage and it was originally with another company but was quickly sold to Citizens One Bank. Every time a payment was made the bank would use it to pay mostly interest and very little principal or escrow. They contacted us to say they would be raising our payment by 300 to cover escrow. When all along they had plenty from our payments as we always made a double payment each month. A couple months after them raising the payment to 1694 they sent a letter stating that escrow was still way behind so they needed 4765 plus raise the payment to 2000 a month to cover! Our taxes had not got up 1 time since we purchased the home. But this bank keeps demanding more money when in fact they have plenty but keep putting our payments into interest...

When we would make a payment of 2622 they would pay 1800 interest and the rest on principal and escrow!!! Our payment went up over 1000 in less than a year! We were informed that it was correct and how it is always done everywhere. NOPE!! Not any longer.... we are having to move our mortgage and refinance with a local company in order to get away from citizens one! They have NO branches in Texas. This is definitely NOT a company to deal with!!!!

Original review: June 9, 2020

Overheard my wife in the living room trying to get some basic information from KATRINA through the Citizens One customer service department. Every question she asked Katrina if that's even her real name could not answer and not only could she not answer the questions she was very rude about it. So after getting absolutely nowhere being put on hold multiple times and getting the same idk response and being on the phone for a hour and a half my wife ask to speak to a supervisor. Then KATRINA says, "They're busy but you can talk to me." My wife replies, "No thanks. Not only are you rude you can't provide me with basic information that I've been asking you."

Without a response she gets put on hold again for another thirty minutes. Instead of being transferred Katrina picks up the line again and says, "They're busy on the phone but you can email them." My wife replies again, "No thanks. I'll wait." So two and a half hours later we get ahold of a team leader that that provided us with the information in less than three minutes and also didn't understand why Katrina couldn't do the same seeing it was a very basic question.

I don't understand how someone this rude, incompetent and unprofessional could even make it to a position like this. When my wife would speak Katrina would cut her off or put her on hold or say, "We don't have that" or "We can't do that." Crazy thing is we were trying to get information that has been easily provided in the past through the same department just so we can pay our mortgage. Never thought it would be nearly impossible just to get information to pay with our money. Most good company people would be happy to help seeing that's their job and that we are trying to pay money to our mortgage which benefits the company but Katrina could care less.

I really hope citizens one records their call and audits their employees cause this is a issue that should be taken care of immediately. I get better customer service at the McDonald's drive through. And if KATRINA is her real name when citizens one finds out you could care less to do your job in any type of way I hope the next person that comes along is respectful and confident in answering a basic question seeing all the one star reviews which is almost all of them on this page is very disturbing knowing this is who I am dealing with on a monthly basis. If you are reading this and thinking about switching over to this provider please keep in mind you will have these problems for the next thirty years or however long your loan exist because we have and so has everyone else on these reviews. This is the first review I have ever had to write and hopefully the last.

Original review: June 7, 2020

Never happened before, but on May statement, Citizens One misapplied extra principal payment to pay for the following month's balance. Wrote specifically the amount to be applied to extra PP - ignored.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I cannot stand Citizens One Home Loans. I've never missed a mortgage payment with them but they still call on the 16th of each month for the payment. For having never missed a payment it's frustrating to get that call knowing I'm going to pay it on time and not be late. I'm switching mortgage companies.

Original review: May 25, 2020

They have hidden fees. I asked for a relief to my payment last month and they said yes but the interest will remain. I am paying $340.47 every month and the interest that they did not waive was $199, so the interest was higher than the principal. This credit agency is so greedy and they don't care if you are affected by any circumstances. Please do not ask any help from them.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I have called them at least weekly. Everyone tells me something different. Want to give them deed in lieu of foreclosure. They will not send the necessary paperwork! This is the first time I have ever negatively reviewed anyone. As other reviews say RUN from this place. Terrible customer service. They don't even deserve a one star. Would love to get a contact person for my attorney to call. Train your people better. Don't lie.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I'm so angry. These people took over my mortgage and now I have to deal with them. Customer service = No one to help you one the phone. System will put you on hold for hours and no will connect. System will call you about your late payments but won't let you talk to rep. It's like being caught in a dark pit of hellish customer service. I'm a vet trying to talk to these people about my mortgage and it's like they have one phone line run by dead monkeys. I'm so angry I wish nothing but the worst upon this company.

Original review: April 22, 2020

A couple of months ago Franklin American sold my mortgage to Citizens One, I was very disappointed because I have had experience with this bank before, not good. I'm self-employed and as everyone impacted by Covid-19. I contacted Citizens One and their forbearance plan consisted of 90 days and after the end all delayed contractual payments are due on your next payment date. You've got to be kidding me? If you don't have money to pay the mortgage payments in the first place how do you come up with 4 payments on the next payment due date? I asked if we were being recorded? The woman said yes and I told them their plan sucked. Obviously they care more about their stockholders than their customers. I reported them to THE CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU and as soon as I'm able I'm refinancing.

Original review: April 18, 2020

None of my payments for the last year were applied correctly. I have autopay set up on my home loan since Aug 2019. I got a notice in the mail that I am behind on my payments. Turns out, 100% of my payment was being applied to my escrow or interest. I have paid a hefty $2 towards my principal in 1 year?!?! WTF! I get automated messages from their collections department, I try to return the call and no one ever answers after being on hold for 2 hrs. I tried scheduling a call back and they never called me back.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Misapplied extra principal payments. We have asked the Department of Justice to look into the business practices of Citizens One Home Loans. The reason is that we earmarked very clearly how extra principal payments should be applied and Citizens applied it how they wanted, and to their advantage. It took hours on the phone with them trying to clear this up. We wonder if other Citizens One customers are not catching the devious actions of Citizens One and losing tons of money. If Citizens is doing this to thousands of customers, Citizens is making millions of dollars illegally.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Unethical, dishonest company. I pay down my mortgage with additional principal payments. I send check where the coupon and statement say to send. I carefully document my payment. They misapply my payment to interest EVERY TIME.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Sold to them by Franklin American about 3 months ago. I set up auto-draft immediately and this month on the 13th received a statement showing where the computer never processed the payment and they had loan mitigation information posted on the bottom. This is the only thing I have ever paid late and immediately jumped online to make a one-time draft payment, well 3 business days later that payment still has not been processed. I try to call and the only option I get is credit counseling department and there is a 2 hour hold time. I only get through to one person and she hangs up on me almost right after she answered. This is a nightmare.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Unfortunately, many of us whose mortgages are held by this criminal entity never chose to have a relationship with them, as our mortgages were "sold" to them by Franklin American without consultation or notice. Nonetheless, even a predatory agency like Citizens One should at least have a functional web site and/or answer the phone. Add my name to the list of complainants and negative reviewers who have endured hold-times of in excess of 2 hours before being disconnected. One reviewer here wondered aloud why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against Citizens One. Whether or not my own grievances with them may be legally actionable, if ever there IS a class action suit, I'll gladly support it in whatever way I can. In the meantime, I have filed complaints with my state's Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, and the Attornies General in both Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Additionally, and because companies like Citizens One, which financial advisors and media outlets now openly describe as "vultures", or "vulture-investors" have a great deal of latitude to practice their predation, I shall be writing to my Federal representatives to propose a law prohibiting or restricting the sale of mortgages without permission or input from the consumers.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I have a mortgage with Citizens since 10/2017, I paid by auto-draft on time always. This company will not even offer 1 payment deferral during crisis. My primary residence is with Navy Federal and with no hassle they gave us 3 months deferred payments!! I will always bank with big banks from this point forward, cheesy banks are just that... cheesy. I will be refinancing that house with Navy very soon and getting a better APR in the way.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I have an auto loan at Citizens One and I need to call to negotiate financing in the face of this pandemic crisis and I have already called other days and they do not answer. This is the worst bank to make contact, I am already more than an hour in hold today. They have no other option to contact on the website. no chat and no email to contact. this is very STUPID BANK.

Citizens One Company Information