3.39/5

Looking for a good gold dealer?

APMEX

Looking for a good gold dealer?

APMEX Reviews

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

My order was delivered as described and in a timely manner. Always a good transaction. My only concern is the insurance coverage provided by USPS Priority Mail being sufficient to cover a lost shipment. I've read reviews regarding undelivered packages not being covered due rules regarding mailing of currency. I do not know this for a fact but intend to look into it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

A very good experience with my first order from APMEX. First off, it came very quickly. It was sent out faster than any other company I have purchased silver or gold from. The order was for 4 silver coins and one silver bar. They packaged it very well. I am used to USPS destroying things that are sent to me, so this was nice to see it so well packaged. The silver was first wrapped in a little bubble envelope, then taped to the inside of a small but thick cardboard sleeve box. This double packaging method ensures that the silver doesn't slide around even if it takes a hit, and it's away from the corners where hits most often can damage them.

2 of the coins came just in little plastic bags instead of flip. I didn't like that, but at least they were sealed in the plastic which does protect them. The bags are harder to inspect the coins because of the writing on them, but easier to keep them clean the two other coins came in plastic flips, that were then sealed in the little plastic bags. The Bar was in its own sealed plastic that was thick and lets me inspect the silver. 3 of the coins were absolutely perfect when I examined them. The South African Krugerrand has very slight tiny bumps on the outer rim of the front side. It is so slight however that I'm not concerned, and the dots seem to be from the manufacturing at the mint, not from any mishandling by APMEX.

The bar was the APMEX brand 1 ounce silver bar. The symbol and writing on the bar seems very nice and clean, however along the outside edge when looking face on to the bar, there was a noticeable ridge that went along most but not all of the outside edge. Looking edge on it didn't seem that it was a bent edge, so I can only assume its a tiny bit of extra silver. It's not too bad, and the writing on the bar is very nice so overall I'm pleased. I will most likely be buying more of there brand bar because I like the look of it, so I will report back if the error is on all the bars or just the first one I bought.

Since I had no major issues with the order, I can't really comment on the customer service except that when I asked questions before purchasing, they did respond back to me. I received info from them on a frequent buyers program of some sort, and I will be using that in the future. In all, I am very pleased with my first purchase from this company, and will be making more purchases in the near future of silver, and perhaps some platinum. I hope this review helps anyone interested in this company for buying their silver.

Get expert buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I love the selection and the preorders for upcoming coin releases. Customer service is excellent and they reward repeat customers. I’ve never had any problem or shortage on shipping of any kind. Materials are well packaged. I do wish they had a page of upcoming releases that would be updated in release date order. But they do send me emailed fairly often with new releases or preorders and I can have it alert me when the item is available. Just would be nice to have more notice beforehand.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I purchased 3 silver eagles. 1986, 1990 and 1992. All were to be brilliant uncirculated. All three had a spot on the breastplate as if someone was trying to draw a nipple on her. The 1986 has a long scratch on the left field of the eagle and rim toning at 4 o'clock on the reverse. Due to the age of the coins I could have done a lot worse but I feel I overpaid for the 86.

Original review: March 27, 2019

When I was looking for physical silver, I found many options on the internet. I even called another dealer, but they required at least five thousand dollars for each purchase, which leaves someone like me unable to afford that. Luckily, the person I spoke with recommended APMEX and I am certainly glad he did. APMEX does not have a minimum purchase amount, and gives ordinary people like me the opportunity to start investing small and working my way up as I go.

Right now, I have made two separate purchases and have been very happy. So far, I have roughly thirty or so ounces of silver, and will be buying more shortly. The reputation of APMEX and their customer service has been terrific. My orders ship within two days and the insurance is included. I can't wait to share your company with friends who also want to invest in precious metals, but may not be the richest people in the world. Thank you for thinking of the average hard working people out there who want better their financial future. Many thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APMEX?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Three words summarize my dealings with this company: AVOID, AVOID, AVOID. As a first time customer the only thing that I received from this company was a runaround, never any product. After four days of calling the order line and credit card dept, and being told that everything was ok, my gold still did not ship and my account stated that the order was declined. All of this was after they received my 3k payment.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Purchased 12 coins that were advertised as a group of about a dozen different coins. I received 12 of one kind. Very disappointed. Yes, I read the fine print, but still disappointed that I didn't get a better selection out of 12 coins.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Order took a little longer than expected to arrive but I was provided dates and they met them. Order was accurate and in good condition. I recommended APMEX to a friend because they have served me well in the past.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I can attest that this company has bad customer service. My account was disabled due to a billing error; I wasn't even informed that it was getting disabled and I never got a call back even after the payment issue was resolved, despite the fact that I had requested to speak to someone about this issue when it was resolved. My account is still disabled by the way. Oh and they also charge you ~$35 to cancel an order even a few minutes after you submit the order. Very ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have never had a problem with direct delivery of an item from APMEX. The pricing is reasonable and the products are as described. APMEX is one of the best online stores for Au, Ag, Pt, Pd bullion, bullion coins and historic coins.

APMEX expert review by Barbara Friedberg

APMEX recently celebrated its 15th anniversary and is now one of the top Internet retailers in North America. It has a catalog of more than 10,000 products for investors interested in both precious metal weight and numismatic value to choose from.

• Buy and sell: On APMEX, consumers can see the sell price as well as the buy price.

• No minimum transaction: It has coins priced well below $20 and bullion that comes with price tags in the six figures for larger gold bars.

• Free shipping: Customers get free shipping on domestic orders of $99 or more.

• 60-second price updates: APMEX posts the most recent spot price for precious metals every minute of the day.

• Easy product sorting: Given its extensive catalog of products, APMEX has created easy sorting that allows customers to look by bars versus coins, weight, manufacturer and other important criteria.

• Best for: This gold and precious metal investment company is best for retirees, savers and speculators.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg