2. Finance

Take a Quiz

Get matched with a Gold IRA Accredited Partner

Find my match

APMEX Reviews

Original review: April 1, 2020

I love this company. They have always been fair and reasonable priced. However, they, as well as other bullion dealers around the country are overcharging way above spot. There is no oversight. When the spot went down, demand went up. Unfortunately, all bullion dealers didn’t freeze prices at the crash, they all went up as spot hit the floor. I could understand holding the premium during this crisis, but this looks similar to “price gouging” during a crisis. When we get on the other side of this crash, I question who I can trust.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Their products are exactly as described. The website is easy to navigate, the purchasing process is fast, easy & secure. APMEX makes it possible for anyone, no matter what your budget allows, to buy precious metals by offering sizes & weights from 1/2 gram up to Kilos. They ship it to you carefully packed, & in very plain, discreet packaging. Mine arrived just a few days after ordering it. I'm a repeat customer & have been for several years now. I hope to do business with APMEX for many years to come.

Get buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Excellent selection of products and FREE shipping on orders $99+, you cannot beat that! Customer service is also very knowledgeable and helpful. The account portfolio tool is wonderful for keeping track of your assets. The website is easy to navigate and very user friendly. I have exercised the option to sell back to APMEX in the past but do not recommend doing this unless it's an emergency situation. The haircut on that practice will likely result in a 50%+ loss on investment. Overall, APMEX receives 5 full stars in my book.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

A very good experience with my first order from APMEX. First off, it came very quickly. It was sent out faster than any other company I have purchased silver or gold from. The order was for 4 silver coins and one silver bar. They packaged it very well. I am used to USPS destroying things that are sent to me, so this was nice to see it so well packaged. The silver was first wrapped in a little bubble envelope, then taped to the inside of a small but thick cardboard sleeve box. This double packaging method ensures that the silver doesn't slide around even if it takes a hit, and it's away from the corners where hits most often can damage them.

2 of the coins came just in little plastic bags instead of flip. I didn't like that, but at least they were sealed in the plastic which does protect them. The bags are harder to inspect the coins because of the writing on them, but easier to keep them clean the two other coins came in plastic flips, that were then sealed in the little plastic bags. The Bar was in its own sealed plastic that was thick and lets me inspect the silver. 3 of the coins were absolutely perfect when I examined them. The South African Krugerrand has very slight tiny bumps on the outer rim of the front side. It is so slight however that I'm not concerned, and the dots seem to be from the manufacturing at the mint, not from any mishandling by APMEX.

The bar was the APMEX brand 1 ounce silver bar. The symbol and writing on the bar seems very nice and clean, however along the outside edge when looking face on to the bar, there was a noticeable ridge that went along most but not all of the outside edge. Looking edge on it didn't seem that it was a bent edge, so I can only assume its a tiny bit of extra silver. It's not too bad, and the writing on the bar is very nice so overall I'm pleased. I will most likely be buying more of there brand bar because I like the look of it, so I will report back if the error is on all the bars or just the first one I bought.

Since I had no major issues with the order, I can't really comment on the customer service except that when I asked questions before purchasing, they did respond back to me. I received info from them on a frequent buyers program of some sort, and I will be using that in the future. In all, I am very pleased with my first purchase from this company, and will be making more purchases in the near future of silver, and perhaps some platinum. I hope this review helps anyone interested in this company for buying their silver.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I love the selection and the preorders for upcoming coin releases. Customer service is excellent and they reward repeat customers. I’ve never had any problem or shortage on shipping of any kind. Materials are well packaged. I do wish they had a page of upcoming releases that would be updated in release date order. But they do send me emailed fairly often with new releases or preorders and I can have it alert me when the item is available. Just would be nice to have more notice beforehand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APMEX?

Original review: April 30, 2020

Bought 2 uncirculated and 2 circulated peace silver dollars and am happy with this purchase. That’s it. No more info to describe purchase except shipping and pricing was adequate. APMEX should provide other discount incentives to silver stackers like me and more of their product would be bought.

Original review: April 16, 2020

Hello, APMEX offer for my silver (45 rolls of 64 Kennedy halves) was approximately $4500 and they are selling the same amount for over $9800. Coinflation.com lists this amount of silver for $5048.91 with spot silver at 15.51. So I get clipped $548 below spot and they profit another $4813 on top. According to the APMEX website they only had 114 rolls for sale for the same average (Non BU 90% 1984 Kennedy Rolls). I understand that APMEX is in business to make money but I did not expect a desired profit of over $5000 minus their expenses. Based on these numbers I had to pass on their offer. I have bought from APMEX before and was completely satisfied with their sales process.

Original review: April 7, 2020

The metals I ordered arrived very quickly and the price was lower than a lot of other places. I was surprised that they didn't do signature confirmation for my order to be on the watch if you order. The only negative was that they had an order minimum but their prices were very good comparably. They also had a good selection and stock in comparison to some other online stores that were sold out. If I need to purchase again, I will definitely check them out.

Original review: April 3, 2020

SCAMMERS!!! Buyer beware. Their product is inferior and they do not stand behind it. Walmart sells their items and refuses to back it saying all complaints to be directed at company. Walmart's response to the negative public opinion is getting noticed. Shut down the horribly run company. I have 6 lawsuits I filed after being an Elite level customer (top 3%). I tried to EXCHANGE 6 defective items (the TEP packing was broken) and they refused. I'm not stupid. I doubt if gold moved in their favor they would not offer that option. The way they get you is they issue return labels at the 11th hour for the disputed items leaving you in the position to either take the damaged good or return them. They fail to recognize replacement value and diminished loss. STAY AWAY!

Original review: March 30, 2020

Please buy your precious metals with another company online. I placed an order with them whom I used in the past. Money was taken out of my account to show the transaction went through. They advised me product will ship out the following week. Monday I check back and find my order was canceled by them because they needed to "speak to me" to confirm my order. They advised they emailed but never call because it is against their protocol. A customer would think everything was good to go when APMEX taken the full amount of the customer's bank account and would have no reason to check on the status until the ship date would take effect. Please don't waste any of your time..

APMEX author review by Barbara Friedberg

APMEX recently celebrated its 15th anniversary and is now one of the top Internet retailers in North America. It has a catalog of more than 10,000 products for investors interested in both precious metal weight and numismatic value to choose from.

• Buy and sell: On APMEX, consumers can see the sell price as well as the buy price.

• No minimum transaction: It has coins priced well below $20 and bullion that comes with price tags in the six figures for larger gold bars.

• Free shipping: Customers get free shipping on domestic orders of $99 or more.

• 60-second price updates: APMEX posts the most recent spot price for precious metals every minute of the day.

• Easy product sorting: Given its extensive catalog of products, APMEX has created easy sorting that allows customers to look by bars versus coins, weight, manufacturer and other important criteria.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor