3.35/5
Based on 46 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good gold dealer?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

46 APMEX Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I wasn’t happy with some of the coins & they gladly exchanged them, even paid for the return postage. I have had better luck with bullion coins, not so much numismatic coins. Personally I would like to inspect the numismatics before purchasing, but overall APMEX is an excellent company to deal with.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have been a customer of APMEX for several years. The company offers a very extensive range of great products at fair prices and provides exceptional service. My most recent order was placed online on December 15th and was delivered in about a week including the time it took for me to mail them a personal check.

Get expert buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I purchased 5 Canadian Maple Leaf coins before Christmas 2018 with the intent of using them as Christmas presents. The delivery date by USPS was 24 December. They were not delivered. Worse, even when reported unreceived, they delayed in opening an investigation, so that 2 weeks later, an investigation still was not initiated. Now, I'm out both money and coins! Basically, they need to claim from insurance before either shipping new product or refunding. This is a pretty poor customer experience; it is not what a retailer in 2019 should be offering. Take your business elsewhere. For example JM Bullion has lower prices to boot!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased a lot of bulk silver and sold back & returned some yrs later, no prob. But recent sale back by me to them was a problem in that they think that some items could not be sold back to them. But they were the ones who sold them to me. But they did sell them originally. I have not done biz with others, only them. OMG What had been a great relationship just went very sour. Bad boys. No truth in advert. Will seek other options.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Coin arrived as advertised, BU, with no visible scratches or marks. Every part of the purchase, processing and shipping was as expected with APMEX. I like the purity and 1/4 oz size is easier to afford. I will buy this coin again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APMEX?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Purchased from site multiple times and always had a good experience. Simple, quick and easy transaction. Product is normally good stuff and customer service has always been easy to deal with in needed matters.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

NIUE 90th Disney Anniversary. As always APMEX, hits another home run with this customer. They have never disappointed me. I will keep on coming back for the quality and price. The people at APMEX are skilled and knowledgeable and always send me a quality product in an expedited fashion. Thank you ALL at APMEX, Happy New Year to you and your families.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Purchase gold and silver from APMEX and the majority of it loses value over the years. Total rip-off to the customer! Want an investment??? Purchase land or save your money! Dad purchased gold and silver in 2001-10 and it basically tanked over the years (now 2018). That's convenient for APMEX and I'm sure they do this all the time and make bank on poor customers. DON'T FALL FOR IT! If you are purchasing gold and silver for the apocalypse don't... Buy canned food and get out of the city. Gold and silver will have even less value if that happens. Unless you have access to an international market for gold and silver (not through APMEX either) then I would stay far far away from it!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've ordered numerous items and they've always been up to, or exceeding expectations. Each order is packaged neat, discreet and ships effectively. A wonderful business earns a return customer. I would recommend APMEX to start, or grow, your precious metals collection, Today!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Recently I ordered 2019 Silver Pandas on a preorder basis. APMEX shipped them as soon as they received their order. I received these Friday and they are beautiful. The mama Panda holding baby Panda in arms cuddling him. Each coin has its own holder and every 15 ordered are packaged in a plastic framework. Thanks APMEX.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Very good company to work with, great variety of silver and gold coins. Nice website full of useful information. Delivery is prompt; never a problem. Prices are very competitive, usually the best I can find online.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I placed an order for some silver coins and tried to cancel 10 minutes later. I found the same coins significantly cheaper on JM Bullion and they had a greater quantity available. Even though it was my 3rd order over a few months, and only 10 minutes had passed from placing it, they would only cancel if I paid a fee. Really? So Apmex, this was my third and last purchase. Not a great way to earn customer loyalty. They didn't even ask why I wanted to cancel, I guess they don't care as long as they will be charging you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Quick shipment even when using echeck. Some delay by the post office but you can't blame APMEX for that and it was still on time from the date they originally provided at order. Product was exactly as described on site.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Apmex sells rare coins. Some are quite scarce and highly desirable, at least as pictured. Apmex uses stock photos, and it discloses that the item pictured may not be the same as the item sent. For eBay transactions, Apmex does not allow returns. So the picture of the coin that you fell in love with may look dramatically different than the coin you receive. And if you do not like what you get, you are stuck with it due to the no return policy. In other words, Apmex is selling you a pig in a poke. You really have no idea whether you like what Apmex will actually send. But there is no assurance that it will be anything like the pretty picture they use to sell it. Instead there is a warning that it might not.

Not long ago, I found a beautiful picture of an example of a particularly rare coin being sold by Apmex on eBay. It was for sale for about $2500, which was the full retail price. I liked the pictured coin and wanted to buy it. But I wanted the coin in the picture, not something that had the same date and grade, but which might look totally different.

So, I sent Apmex and eBay message asking them to check serial numbers and let me know if the coin in the picture was the one they would be selling. Because this coin is so rare, it seemed unlikely that any dealer would have more than one in stock, and it shouldn’t take too much time to open the vault and look. Apmex told me they would not do it. I sent additional emails advising that I would buy the coin immediately upon confirmation of what I would be getting. Apmex did not respond to any of my emails. I could only surmise that Apmex did not have the pictured coin in stock, and was proposing to send whoever bought whatever they were selling something different. I did not fall for the pig in the poke. I warn you that buying from Apmex through eBay involves incalculable risk and a good chance of disappointment.

Buying directly from Apmex is somewhat less abusive. You get seven days to return an item, but may be subject to a 10% restocking fee. So, if a pretty picture induces you to buy what might be an unseen coin, you only lose 10% of your money if they send you something you dislike. What a deal. I’m not into precious metal bullion. I’m a coin collector. Buying bullion from these guys may work out just fine, but I would never buy a rare coin from these people.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Orders are always complete, of the quality advertised, competitively priced, well packaged, and shipped in a timely manner. The website is easy to use and very convenient. I will continue to do business with APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Never anything less than outstanding service, quality, and gold, silver and platinum products over many years of doing business with APMEX. No last minute hidden fees like some other dealers out there! Beware!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

APMEX always delivers quality products. Generic silver is never a letdown, always delivering collectibles. All BU coins are in fact BU. Safest place to buy precious metals online without security fears.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Received my random year Eagles. I saw 2012, but I already have 12s. Kept Looking 11s and 10s. Wow I like that. Then almost next to the bottom of the stack was in 1999. It was like finding a pearl in a box of cracker jacks. Thank you APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I've had no negative experiences with ordering or delivery from APMEX. Shipping packaging is discrete. Orders are delivered on time with what you actually purchased. I believe APMEX is the best place to purchase your metals. It's fair pricing and excellent service. I highly recommend APMEX...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchase 50 gram gold bullion from APMEX. The process is easy to buy online. Easy payment options. Delivery updates and tracking package is easy and accurate. Insured and mandatory signing for package makes the whole process stressless and very convenient. Will continue to buy from APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

APMEX, after nearly losing this client over what amounts to miscommunication or more over the client’s ignorance of security precautions in online finance, was able continue to make the still scary yet experience of venturing into investing a large sum of money in precious metals. Prior to and after the customer service and communication has been impeccable. THANK YOU APMEX!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Ordering is easy and efficient. Product arrived timely and in excellent condition. I look forward to purchasing more silver bullion. Eventually I, too, will purchasing gold bullion as well. I am happy to know that Apmex is very reliable.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Awful experience. I tried to sell back gold that I bought from them several years ago. I called on the phone and they told me to send them an email, which I did. They respond to my email 10 days later (7 business days). 10 days later the price of gold is dramatically changed. In a commodities market, there is an expectation of swift and expeditious transaction. What kind of reputable corporation can't get back to you on the next business day. Good luck. I will not be doing business with you again. I strongly advise all not to purchase or sell to them. I sold the gold bars to a local dealer, received 4% more than APMEX quote, and didn't have to deal with them. AVOID APMEX, they will rip you off.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Performed a search on eBay for a 1904 Morgan Silver Dollar. Hundreds of results came up. It became monotonous going through the results. I eventually chose the best image I saw and made the purchase. I should have read where the image was representative of what you could get. It also said any date between 1878 and 1904. I immediately tried to cancel. They don't allow cancellations. They also don't allow returns. The coin I received was nothing like the image. No cancellation. No return. Image poorly represents coin received. DECEPTIVE DESCRIPTION. ENTRAPMENT. STAY AWAY FROM APMEX.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Took a chance with APMEX. The 10 oz bar that was delivered was truly a fake. I noticed a pitted the surface that was dark. Checked with a local dealer who confirmed it was a FAKE. Called customer service and spoke with useless managers who were in complete denial. Refused to accept that it was possible. Don't know about other people's experience but mine was a nightmare. Been in touch with a lawyer attempting to find a solution.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Long time APMEX customer, multiple orders over 8+ year period. I've had exactly 1 issue (shorted 1 oz silver) which was reviewed and rectified within 1 day. Their ordering, pricing, and cancellation policies are very clear and straightforward, but this seems to be the bulk of complaints listed here and other review sites. I've read numerous complaints about credit card issues, and cancellation problems. Firstly, if you are using credit cards to purchase bullion, you are doing it wrong. Secondly, it is very clearly stated that the price is locked in at the time of sale. If you purchase X at $100 on Friday, and when you wake up Monday the price of X is now $90, and you decide to cancel your order, you will pay a penalty. I have and will continue to trust APMEX with all my online bullion purchases. You get exactly what you pay for, every time you buy bullion.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Thought about purchasing an item. Entered the quantity and went to checkout where the price changed by +2.00$, seems dishonest and so I cancelled. If Apmex can update current price in checkout, they can keep it up to date in advertisement. Don't like that.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I've been buying from APMEX for years and never had any issues. In fact, I'm expecting a delivery from them right now. My orders are always well packed and often shipped within these awesome dark blue heavy duty containers which are great for storing your stacks. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. I have noticed that all the complaints I have read have been stories about missing packages shipped via USPS. My orders from APMEX have always been shipped either UPS or FedEx and I've had no problems. USPS is a horrible shipper and I would never ship anything of value using them. USPS has bizarre rules and insurance limitations, especially concerning precious metals.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

After looking at several online precious metal brokers, seeing their high profit over spot, asking for referrals from friends, and calling randomly for information, I took a chance on APMEX. When I looked at the poor reviews, I was skeptical, so I did a test buy prior to my larger investment. After talking with Eric ** at APMEX, he understood what I was interested in, and was very helpful. I'm guessing this industry makes most of their money by selling Numismatic coins, which was what the other companies were pushing me to buy.

Eric understood, I wanted spot price coins that would be simple to sell later on at spot prices... Nothing based on collecting values. He explained the purchase process, the expected shipping time, and basically walked me through my first purchase. I tracked my check deposit and my shipping. After my test purchase, I was reassured that this was a very reputable company... And then I proceeded with a larger purchase. Everything was good. Don't discount buying from APMEX. Their prices are good and they follow through.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Placed two orders, both packages were missing a coin. Called customer service and had to take pictures of items received. My credit card was charged for the full amount. Customer rep stated that it has been happening often. Looks like they need to find a new quality control on their shipping process.

APMEX expert review by Barbara Friedberg

APMEX recently celebrated its 15th anniversary and is now one of the top Internet retailers in North America. It has a catalog of more than 10,000 products for investors interested in both precious metal weight and numismatic value to choose from.

• Buy and sell: On APMEX, consumers can see the sell price as well as the buy price.

• No minimum transaction: It has coins priced well below $20 and bullion that comes with price tags in the six figures for larger gold bars.

• Free shipping: Customers get free shipping on domestic orders of $99 or more.

• 60-second price updates: APMEX posts the most recent spot price for precious metals every minute of the day.

• Easy product sorting: Given its extensive catalog of products, APMEX has created easy sorting that allows customers to look by bars versus coins, weight, manufacturer and other important criteria.

• Best for: This gold and precious metal investment company is best for retirees, savers and speculators.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg