3.30/5
Based on 37 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good gold dealer?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

37 APMEX Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Recently I ordered 2019 Silver Pandas on a preorder basis. APMEX shipped them as soon as they received their order. I received these Friday and they are beautiful. The mama Panda holding baby Panda in arms cuddling him. Each coin has its own holder and every 15 ordered are packaged in a plastic framework. Thanks APMEX.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Very good company to work with, great variety of silver and gold coins. Nice website full of useful information. Delivery is prompt; never a problem. Prices are very competitive, usually the best I can find online.

Get expert buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I placed an order for some silver coins and tried to cancel 10 minutes later. I found the same coins significantly cheaper on JM Bullion and they had a greater quantity available. Even though it was my 3rd order over a few months, and only 10 minutes had passed from placing it, they would only cancel if I paid a fee. Really? So Apmex, this was my third and last purchase. Not a great way to earn customer loyalty. They didn't even ask why I wanted to cancel, I guess they don't care as long as they will be charging you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Quick shipment even when using echeck. Some delay by the post office but you can't blame APMEX for that and it was still on time from the date they originally provided at order. Product was exactly as described on site.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Apmex sells rare coins. Some are quite scarce and highly desirable, at least as pictured. Apmex uses stock photos, and it discloses that the item pictured may not be the same as the item sent. For eBay transactions, Apmex does not allow returns. So the picture of the coin that you fell in love with may look dramatically different than the coin you receive. And if you do not like what you get, you are stuck with it due to the no return policy. In other words, Apmex is selling you a pig in a poke. You really have no idea whether you like what Apmex will actually send. But there is no assurance that it will be anything like the pretty picture they use to sell it. Instead there is a warning that it might not.

Not long ago, I found a beautiful picture of an example of a particularly rare coin being sold by Apmex on eBay. It was for sale for about $2500, which was the full retail price. I liked the pictured coin and wanted to buy it. But I wanted the coin in the picture, not something that had the same date and grade, but which might look totally different.

So, I sent Apmex and eBay message asking them to check serial numbers and let me know if the coin in the picture was the one they would be selling. Because this coin is so rare, it seemed unlikely that any dealer would have more than one in stock, and it shouldn’t take too much time to open the vault and look. Apmex told me they would not do it. I sent additional emails advising that I would buy the coin immediately upon confirmation of what I would be getting. Apmex did not respond to any of my emails. I could only surmise that Apmex did not have the pictured coin in stock, and was proposing to send whoever bought whatever they were selling something different. I did not fall for the pig in the poke. I warn you that buying from Apmex through eBay involves incalculable risk and a good chance of disappointment.

Buying directly from Apmex is somewhat less abusive. You get seven days to return an item, but may be subject to a 10% restocking fee. So, if a pretty picture induces you to buy what might be an unseen coin, you only lose 10% of your money if they send you something you dislike. What a deal. I’m not into precious metal bullion. I’m a coin collector. Buying bullion from these guys may work out just fine, but I would never buy a rare coin from these people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APMEX?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Orders are always complete, of the quality advertised, competitively priced, well packaged, and shipped in a timely manner. The website is easy to use and very convenient. I will continue to do business with APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Never anything less than outstanding service, quality, and gold, silver and platinum products over many years of doing business with APMEX. No last minute hidden fees like some other dealers out there! Beware!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

APMEX always delivers quality products. Generic silver is never a letdown, always delivering collectibles. All BU coins are in fact BU. Safest place to buy precious metals online without security fears.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Received my random year Eagles. I saw 2012, but I already have 12s. Kept Looking 11s and 10s. Wow I like that. Then almost next to the bottom of the stack was in 1999. It was like finding a pearl in a box of cracker jacks. Thank you APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I've had no negative experiences with ordering or delivery from APMEX. Shipping packaging is discrete. Orders are delivered on time with what you actually purchased. I believe APMEX is the best place to purchase your metals. It's fair pricing and excellent service. I highly recommend APMEX...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchase 50 gram gold bullion from APMEX. The process is easy to buy online. Easy payment options. Delivery updates and tracking package is easy and accurate. Insured and mandatory signing for package makes the whole process stressless and very convenient. Will continue to buy from APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

APMEX, after nearly losing this client over what amounts to miscommunication or more over the client’s ignorance of security precautions in online finance, was able continue to make the still scary yet experience of venturing into investing a large sum of money in precious metals. Prior to and after the customer service and communication has been impeccable. THANK YOU APMEX!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Ordering is easy and efficient. Product arrived timely and in excellent condition. I look forward to purchasing more silver bullion. Eventually I, too, will purchasing gold bullion as well. I am happy to know that Apmex is very reliable.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Awful experience. I tried to sell back gold that I bought from them several years ago. I called on the phone and they told me to send them an email, which I did. They respond to my email 10 days later (7 business days). 10 days later the price of gold is dramatically changed. In a commodities market, there is an expectation of swift and expeditious transaction. What kind of reputable corporation can't get back to you on the next business day. Good luck. I will not be doing business with you again. I strongly advise all not to purchase or sell to them. I sold the gold bars to a local dealer, received 4% more than APMEX quote, and didn't have to deal with them. AVOID APMEX, they will rip you off.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Performed a search on eBay for a 1904 Morgan Silver Dollar. Hundreds of results came up. It became monotonous going through the results. I eventually chose the best image I saw and made the purchase. I should have read where the image was representative of what you could get. It also said any date between 1878 and 1904. I immediately tried to cancel. They don't allow cancellations. They also don't allow returns. The coin I received was nothing like the image. No cancellation. No return. Image poorly represents coin received. DECEPTIVE DESCRIPTION. ENTRAPMENT. STAY AWAY FROM APMEX.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Took a chance with APMEX. The 10 oz bar that was delivered was truly a fake. I noticed a pitted the surface that was dark. Checked with a local dealer who confirmed it was a FAKE. Called customer service and spoke with useless managers who were in complete denial. Refused to accept that it was possible. Don't know about other people's experience but mine was a nightmare. Been in touch with a lawyer attempting to find a solution.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Long time APMEX customer, multiple orders over 8+ year period. I've had exactly 1 issue (shorted 1 oz silver) which was reviewed and rectified within 1 day. Their ordering, pricing, and cancellation policies are very clear and straightforward, but this seems to be the bulk of complaints listed here and other review sites. I've read numerous complaints about credit card issues, and cancellation problems. Firstly, if you are using credit cards to purchase bullion, you are doing it wrong. Secondly, it is very clearly stated that the price is locked in at the time of sale. If you purchase X at $100 on Friday, and when you wake up Monday the price of X is now $90, and you decide to cancel your order, you will pay a penalty. I have and will continue to trust APMEX with all my online bullion purchases. You get exactly what you pay for, every time you buy bullion.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Thought about purchasing an item. Entered the quantity and went to checkout where the price changed by +2.00$, seems dishonest and so I cancelled. If Apmex can update current price in checkout, they can keep it up to date in advertisement. Don't like that.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I've been buying from APMEX for years and never had any issues. In fact, I'm expecting a delivery from them right now. My orders are always well packed and often shipped within these awesome dark blue heavy duty containers which are great for storing your stacks. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. I have noticed that all the complaints I have read have been stories about missing packages shipped via USPS. My orders from APMEX have always been shipped either UPS or FedEx and I've had no problems. USPS is a horrible shipper and I would never ship anything of value using them. USPS has bizarre rules and insurance limitations, especially concerning precious metals.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

After looking at several online precious metal brokers, seeing their high profit over spot, asking for referrals from friends, and calling randomly for information, I took a chance on APMEX. When I looked at the poor reviews, I was skeptical, so I did a test buy prior to my larger investment. After talking with Eric ** at APMEX, he understood what I was interested in, and was very helpful. I'm guessing this industry makes most of their money by selling Numismatic coins, which was what the other companies were pushing me to buy.

Eric understood, I wanted spot price coins that would be simple to sell later on at spot prices... Nothing based on collecting values. He explained the purchase process, the expected shipping time, and basically walked me through my first purchase. I tracked my check deposit and my shipping. After my test purchase, I was reassured that this was a very reputable company... And then I proceeded with a larger purchase. Everything was good. Don't discount buying from APMEX. Their prices are good and they follow through.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Placed two orders, both packages were missing a coin. Called customer service and had to take pictures of items received. My credit card was charged for the full amount. Customer rep stated that it has been happening often. Looks like they need to find a new quality control on their shipping process.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Damon, I just wanted to memorialize in print our communication. Your company is refusing to buy back your gold at the noted spot price and are only offering to pay me $1331 which is $25 less than the current value and less than I originally purchased the gold from you. You state inventory as the cause. Your company is depriving me of taking value from my holdings and profiting. This feels like a scam. Unfortunately I was uninformed when I initially bought gold from you paying $1675.60 for Australian Lunar when spot price was $1335.59.

Your company profited $2040 from that transaction and I will probably never profit from the sale of that gold in my lifetime. My education has come late. But it seems it is impossible to profit from the ownership of gold with your company. I do plan to seek advise from the Securities Commission regarding protocol on social media to bring a 'buyers' beware message for public good. I have reached out to other companies. BTW you should not end calls with calling me 'pretty lady'!. Felt too familiar for our relationship.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Took a chance with APMEX after reading reviews on their website. The 10 oz bar that was delivered was truly a scrub specimen; certain not indicative of their review statements. A large slag pocket pitted the surface of the poured ingot, and the logo was strange and barely noticeable. My local dealer said that resale of this bar would be difficult, even with my receipt from APMEX as proof of purchase. Overall, not a good first experience with this company; I won't be back.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Entered an order with APMEX September 29th. Reviewed my order 2 days later and saw that it would not ship for 2 weeks and that triggered buyer's remorse. Immediately sent a note canceling the order. Received a note from APMEX today, October 3rd, demanding $35 to cancel. The customer rep was a smarmy wise guy named Brad. He wouldn't waive the fee despite the fact that APMEX hadn't incurred a loss. Claimed the penalty was prominently displayed - it wasn't. I review contracts for a living.

Beware of companies that rely on eye-chart terms and conditions or linked terms. I paid the $35 so that I could review APMEX with a clear conscience (and get off the phone with their rep). That $35 will cost them several thousand dollars in business. Had purchased from APMEX before and it's never a clean, crisp experience. Coins never match their inflated descriptions. Live and learn. If you desire a coin(s) and have flexibility regarding the seller, go with the other one. Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Over the period of a month I called APMEX 3 times regarding making potential sale to them of graded gold eagle coin. On three separate occasions starting with first time I called I received an offer of $900, second time $700 and third time $300 on the same exact coin while price of gold was essentially the same! Whoever works in their pricing department is praying on people's lack of numismatic knowledge to rip off unaware or desperate person for a sale. This has completely turned me off and I will never buy or sell to APMEX again. Be aware of this when you try to sell to them. They may try to scam or rip you off.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I've purchased many gold coins, silver coins, and silver bars from APMEX over the years and was very happy with them until now. I am purchasing a home so called to find out buy-back procedure and they quoted me well under spot price. Their website, however, has always indicated that they will always at least buy back at spot or maybe a tad over which I now know is completely inaccurate. Find someone else folks. APMEX has lost me as a loyal customer forever.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

This product was very good for us and the customer service has been excellent. The price has been very good and it is quite easy to use. The knowledge this company has about this industry is quite amazing and they have done fantastic things for our company. Even the payment options are very easy to get done. Our friends and family have tried it out and they like the customer service. They also commented to us about the good price transparency and the payment options. We have also heard good things regarding their industry knowledge from our friends on Facebook. We have recommended this company to many of our friends on Facebook.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I was just satisfied with the customer service response. I got back a reply in a timely manner with a decent offer which was comparable with what my research proved. Therefore I have no complaints against this company as far as a timely response. According to my research on the worth price, this company is on it and they gave me what I expected according to the weight and karat. They were honest in their prices. I am happy to say they are very knowledgeable in the field of gold and precious metals. I knew what I was owed and they gave me what it was worth. I have no complaints or discrepancies with their offer. I was happy to do business with them because they offered me a choice of payment options which meeted my choice and need. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I am a real critic when it comes to customer service and I see potential with APMEX. Overall I had a good experience, timely, and my questions were answered thoroughly. Their prices were affordable but not too cheap either, though it would work for the middle class just right. Payments were doable, though I wish there was for ease of accessibility and protection, and could be a little quicker as the longer the process the less likely I am to complete at the moment. But it got the job done. I am dumbfounded when it comes to this business, so I rely 100% on the industry knowledge that this company has. I've come to trust what I learn from them and I have not had any major problems since.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

APMEX knew more about the industry than I did. I feel they are the leading and most secure company when it comes to the knowledge and education of their service. I was assisted by a friendly rep who answered all my questions I had regarding my investment and also explained process before I was even a customer. The prices were very fair and they reflected the true fair market value at the time of my purchase. Any concerns I had about price changes were guaranteed by representative. The way in which I was given to pay satisfied me. I am a new customer and would be interested in using another method if it becomes available in the future. The methods available are in fact satisfactory.

APMEX expert review by Barbara Friedberg

APMEX recently celebrated its 15th anniversary and is now one of the top Internet retailers in North America. It has a catalog of more than 10,000 products for investors interested in both precious metal weight and numismatic value to choose from.

• Buy and sell: On APMEX, consumers can see the sell price as well as the buy price.

• No minimum transaction: It has coins priced well below $20 and bullion that comes with price tags in the six figures for larger gold bars.

• Free shipping: Customers get free shipping on domestic orders of $99 or more.

• 60-second price updates: APMEX posts the most recent spot price for precious metals every minute of the day.

• Easy product sorting: Given its extensive catalog of products, APMEX has created easy sorting that allows customers to look by bars versus coins, weight, manufacturer and other important criteria.

• Best for: This gold and precious metal investment company is best for retirees, savers and speculators.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg