3.39/5

Looking for a good gold dealer?

APMEX

Looking for a good gold dealer?

54 APMEX Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2019

When I was looking for physical silver, I found many options on the internet. I even called another dealer, but they required at least five thousand dollars for each purchase, which leaves someone like me unable to afford that. Luckily, the person I spoke with recommended APMEX and I am certainly glad he did. APMEX does not have a minimum purchase amount, and gives ordinary people like me the opportunity to start investing small and working my way up as I go.

Right now, I have made two separate purchases and have been very happy. So far, I have roughly thirty or so ounces of silver, and will be buying more shortly. The reputation of APMEX and their customer service has been terrific. My orders ship within two days and the insurance is included. I can't wait to share your company with friends who also want to invest in precious metals, but may not be the richest people in the world. Thank you for thinking of the average hard working people out there who want better their financial future. Many thanks.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I wasn’t happy with some of the coins & they gladly exchanged them, even paid for the return postage. I have had better luck with bullion coins, not so much numismatic coins. Personally I would like to inspect the numismatics before purchasing, but overall APMEX is an excellent company to deal with.

Get expert buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have been a customer of APMEX for several years. The company offers a very extensive range of great products at fair prices and provides exceptional service. My most recent order was placed online on December 15th and was delivered in about a week including the time it took for me to mail them a personal check.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

NIUE 90th Disney Anniversary. As always APMEX, hits another home run with this customer. They have never disappointed me. I will keep on coming back for the quality and price. The people at APMEX are skilled and knowledgeable and always send me a quality product in an expedited fashion. Thank you ALL at APMEX, Happy New Year to you and your families.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Recently I ordered 2019 Silver Pandas on a preorder basis. APMEX shipped them as soon as they received their order. I received these Friday and they are beautiful. The mama Panda holding baby Panda in arms cuddling him. Each coin has its own holder and every 15 ordered are packaged in a plastic framework. Thanks APMEX.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APMEX?

Original review: May 19, 2019

I bought 20 Silver Eagles and from Apmex and was not impressed with the quality I received. I coins were secondary market and in rough shape; some even came in the holders from previous owners. Lots of tarnish - a couple looked like they had been put in a vice. They had so many marks on them. They say '100% satisfaction guaranteed' but, you should read the return terms. It will cost you a lot of money to make a return. Hope you can avoid a problem from my experience. You can buy certified coins online for a few dollars more than you can at Apmex - this represents a much better value. I would consider what I received to be be nothing more than silver bullion.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Concave chains have more space between the gold links but Cuban chains are made with tight, smooth, solid links placed much closer together. The one I received from APMEX had the Cuban styling but not the precise links, I had just seen the same chain (22" 3.5 mm) at a local jewelers and was really impressed with the design, the one I received from APMEX was cheaper (it cost less) but it wasn't made of high quality gold and I'm very disappointed.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I sent a check for $9,085 to Apmex. They confirmed receipt of the check and said my order would ship on March 14, 2019. On March 14, 2019 I received an e-mail saying they had a problem with their computer banking system and they would ship my order on March 21, 2019. March 21, came and went but no confirmation of shipping no update. I called on March 25th and they could not tell me when the order would ship and possibly they did not have the inventory to ship. They said I would have to wait a few hours to see if they were possibly going to ship my order sometime soon. They issued me a $10 credit on my next order like that was going to smooth things over.

Resolution response: March 22, 2019

At first I did have a negative experience related to my payment method. I had made a mistake and selected the wrong payment method.

Getting that payment method changed and corrected took a little bit of effort, in this case, but to be clear the mistake was mine. After a short delay and after following up with APMEX on the telephone (I spoke with Nick), the problem has been corrected. APMEX also has an active social media presence and they reached out from there to provide additional assistance. I have bumped my review up to 5 stars.

APMEX has really reached out and taken care of my problem. They have demonstrated that they value me as a customer. I will continue to purchase precious metals from them. Precious metals are a big part of my retirement plan and also a part of my children's college fund.

As such I plan to make purchases periodically into the future. Thank you APMEX- you corrected my problem, took care of me and, and have earned my continued business and loyalty.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I am a former APMEX customer and have invested close to $10,000 in precious metals via APMEX. I'm am set to invest 10s of thousands more over the next 20 years as that precious metals are a big part of my retirement plan and a key component of my children's college savings accounts. You might imagine my disappointment when I fell victim to their ridiculous fee schedule. I attempted to make a purchase of one gold coin and several other silver coins on the event of the birth of my second son. Upon birth, each of my children get a gold coin. Then, they receive silver dollars on their birthday every following year. I loaded my cart and checked out- but I accidentally hit the credit card payment method instead of the "pay by check" method. Note- be aware that APMEX will charge you an exorbitant fee to use your credit card- that $1,300 gold coin would have a $140.00 credit card fee attached to it!

Having selected the wrong payment method, I immediately called "customer service" to make the change from credit card to check but was denied the ability to make the change. I don't believe that in this day and age of instant communication that it was "too late" to make the change. So my plan was to simply cancel the order and resubmit it with the correct payment option. I was told they would charge me $35.00 to cancel my order. I explained the situation, pointed out the amount of money I had spent in the past with APMEX and also the amount of money I plan on spending in the future. I requested that they waive the fee. I have found that if you are polite and can thoughtfully present a good reason, most businesses will make exceptions in cases like this. They would not.

I followed up with a email, politely explaining the situation and making the request, and I received a generic reply. You know, the type of reply that is just copied and pasted and does not address one thing that I said in my email. It was very disappointing. It just rubs me wrong that after bringing my past business to APMEX and with all of my potential future business, that APMEX would instantly choose to hold me to a $35.00 fee instead of making the 10's of thousands of dollars in future sales. Yes, I made the mistake when I selected the payment option and yes APMEX has a policy. But I also have the option to take my business elsewhere- to a place with real customer service, reasonable policies, and a personal touch that is clearly absent at APMEX. That is what I have done. There are plenty of other metals retailers out there and I would vehemently advise you to use them instead of AMEX.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I ordered around 3/4/2019 a 1g gold and 2g silver. The USPS was supposed to delivered on 3-8-2019 then tracking number verification stopped on 3/8/2019. The internet tracking was not helpful as it did not have any other record except delivery delay. I went to two post offices to see if I can get it from them but 1st post office did not have merchandise, went to second post office where letter carriers are based and in adjacent city - not there also.

I called APMEX - got my tracking number, AND THEY SAID 4-6 weeks investigate and they need to file with their insurance carrier. Meanwhile I don’t have my gold and silver and the one hundred plus dollars I spent on them. I called PayPal as the ones I used and started a dispute. Customer service stated 4-6 weeks for resolution and was told that since I filed a dispute then so can’t claim on their insurance. I was told in a rude email that it was my fault that I disputed with PayPal that now I will not be able to file a claim with their insurance.

I also had this similar experience from another person with a complaint this January 2019 in this section of BBB. I also did not realize that after you buy that you cannot cancel the order. Very nasty customer service email received like they make you feel guilty for your loss. This is the first and last time dealing with APMEX. Yes very primitive customer service process and ordering process. Please don’t deal with this company.

Original review: March 15, 2019

As usual, excellent company to deal with. They do what they say, keep you informed and offer great products at competitive prices. Regular customer for 12 years or so. Enjoy browsing their website when they send special offers on unique sales.

Original review: March 13, 2019

APMEX is the most reputable precious metal dealer in the country. Their website is well organized making it very user friendly. From the time I purchased my coins until I received them, I was frequently updated on the status of my order. My order arrived in a superbly packaged box.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I purchased 5 Canadian Maple Leaf coins before Christmas 2018 with the intent of using them as Christmas presents. The delivery date by USPS was 24 December. They were not delivered. Worse, even when reported unreceived, they delayed in opening an investigation, so that 2 weeks later, an investigation still was not initiated. Now, I'm out both money and coins! Basically, they need to claim from insurance before either shipping new product or refunding. This is a pretty poor customer experience; it is not what a retailer in 2019 should be offering. Take your business elsewhere. For example JM Bullion has lower prices to boot!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased a lot of bulk silver and sold back & returned some yrs later, no prob. But recent sale back by me to them was a problem in that they think that some items could not be sold back to them. But they were the ones who sold them to me. But they did sell them originally. I have not done biz with others, only them. OMG What had been a great relationship just went very sour. Bad boys. No truth in advert. Will seek other options.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Coin arrived as advertised, BU, with no visible scratches or marks. Every part of the purchase, processing and shipping was as expected with APMEX. I like the purity and 1/4 oz size is easier to afford. I will buy this coin again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Purchased from site multiple times and always had a good experience. Simple, quick and easy transaction. Product is normally good stuff and customer service has always been easy to deal with in needed matters.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Purchase gold and silver from APMEX and the majority of it loses value over the years. Total rip-off to the customer! Want an investment??? Purchase land or save your money! Dad purchased gold and silver in 2001-10 and it basically tanked over the years (now 2018). That's convenient for APMEX and I'm sure they do this all the time and make bank on poor customers. DON'T FALL FOR IT! If you are purchasing gold and silver for the apocalypse don't... Buy canned food and get out of the city. Gold and silver will have even less value if that happens. Unless you have access to an international market for gold and silver (not through APMEX either) then I would stay far far away from it!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've ordered numerous items and they've always been up to, or exceeding expectations. Each order is packaged neat, discreet and ships effectively. A wonderful business earns a return customer. I would recommend APMEX to start, or grow, your precious metals collection, Today!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Very good company to work with, great variety of silver and gold coins. Nice website full of useful information. Delivery is prompt; never a problem. Prices are very competitive, usually the best I can find online.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I placed an order for some silver coins and tried to cancel 10 minutes later. I found the same coins significantly cheaper on JM Bullion and they had a greater quantity available. Even though it was my 3rd order over a few months, and only 10 minutes had passed from placing it, they would only cancel if I paid a fee. Really? So Apmex, this was my third and last purchase. Not a great way to earn customer loyalty. They didn't even ask why I wanted to cancel, I guess they don't care as long as they will be charging you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Quick shipment even when using echeck. Some delay by the post office but you can't blame APMEX for that and it was still on time from the date they originally provided at order. Product was exactly as described on site.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Apmex sells rare coins. Some are quite scarce and highly desirable, at least as pictured. Apmex uses stock photos, and it discloses that the item pictured may not be the same as the item sent. For eBay transactions, Apmex does not allow returns. So the picture of the coin that you fell in love with may look dramatically different than the coin you receive. And if you do not like what you get, you are stuck with it due to the no return policy. In other words, Apmex is selling you a pig in a poke. You really have no idea whether you like what Apmex will actually send. But there is no assurance that it will be anything like the pretty picture they use to sell it. Instead there is a warning that it might not.

Not long ago, I found a beautiful picture of an example of a particularly rare coin being sold by Apmex on eBay. It was for sale for about $2500, which was the full retail price. I liked the pictured coin and wanted to buy it. But I wanted the coin in the picture, not something that had the same date and grade, but which might look totally different.

So, I sent Apmex and eBay message asking them to check serial numbers and let me know if the coin in the picture was the one they would be selling. Because this coin is so rare, it seemed unlikely that any dealer would have more than one in stock, and it shouldn’t take too much time to open the vault and look. Apmex told me they would not do it. I sent additional emails advising that I would buy the coin immediately upon confirmation of what I would be getting. Apmex did not respond to any of my emails. I could only surmise that Apmex did not have the pictured coin in stock, and was proposing to send whoever bought whatever they were selling something different. I did not fall for the pig in the poke. I warn you that buying from Apmex through eBay involves incalculable risk and a good chance of disappointment.

Buying directly from Apmex is somewhat less abusive. You get seven days to return an item, but may be subject to a 10% restocking fee. So, if a pretty picture induces you to buy what might be an unseen coin, you only lose 10% of your money if they send you something you dislike. What a deal. I’m not into precious metal bullion. I’m a coin collector. Buying bullion from these guys may work out just fine, but I would never buy a rare coin from these people.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Orders are always complete, of the quality advertised, competitively priced, well packaged, and shipped in a timely manner. The website is easy to use and very convenient. I will continue to do business with APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Never anything less than outstanding service, quality, and gold, silver and platinum products over many years of doing business with APMEX. No last minute hidden fees like some other dealers out there! Beware!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

APMEX always delivers quality products. Generic silver is never a letdown, always delivering collectibles. All BU coins are in fact BU. Safest place to buy precious metals online without security fears.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Received my random year Eagles. I saw 2012, but I already have 12s. Kept Looking 11s and 10s. Wow I like that. Then almost next to the bottom of the stack was in 1999. It was like finding a pearl in a box of cracker jacks. Thank you APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I've had no negative experiences with ordering or delivery from APMEX. Shipping packaging is discrete. Orders are delivered on time with what you actually purchased. I believe APMEX is the best place to purchase your metals. It's fair pricing and excellent service. I highly recommend APMEX...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I purchase 50 gram gold bullion from APMEX. The process is easy to buy online. Easy payment options. Delivery updates and tracking package is easy and accurate. Insured and mandatory signing for package makes the whole process stressless and very convenient. Will continue to buy from APMEX.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

APMEX, after nearly losing this client over what amounts to miscommunication or more over the client’s ignorance of security precautions in online finance, was able continue to make the still scary yet experience of venturing into investing a large sum of money in precious metals. Prior to and after the customer service and communication has been impeccable. THANK YOU APMEX!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Ordering is easy and efficient. Product arrived timely and in excellent condition. I look forward to purchasing more silver bullion. Eventually I, too, will purchasing gold bullion as well. I am happy to know that Apmex is very reliable.

APMEX expert review by Barbara Friedberg

APMEX recently celebrated its 15th anniversary and is now one of the top Internet retailers in North America. It has a catalog of more than 10,000 products for investors interested in both precious metal weight and numismatic value to choose from.

• Buy and sell: On APMEX, consumers can see the sell price as well as the buy price.

• No minimum transaction: It has coins priced well below $20 and bullion that comes with price tags in the six figures for larger gold bars.

• Free shipping: Customers get free shipping on domestic orders of $99 or more.

• 60-second price updates: APMEX posts the most recent spot price for precious metals every minute of the day.

• Easy product sorting: Given its extensive catalog of products, APMEX has created easy sorting that allows customers to look by bars versus coins, weight, manufacturer and other important criteria.

• Best for: This gold and precious metal investment company is best for retirees, savers and speculators.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg