3.9/5 (303 ratings)

Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About APMEX

Since 2000, APMEX has been a precious metals dealer specializing in coins, bars, rounds, bullion, seminumismatic and numismatic products and precious metal individual retirement accounts (IRAs) for U.S. and international customers. With no minimum or maximum order size and free shipping on domestic orders over $199, it is an affordable option for beginner and expert investors. APMEX guarantees orders to be processed and shipped within one business day, or you receive a $10 coupon.

Find Gold Dealers near you

Pros

• No order minimums
    • AutoInvest program

Cons

• Higher cost for PayPal and cards
    • Minimum $1,000 buyback

Bottom Line

APMEX is an online precious metals site for both at-home investing and IRA investing. Its AutoInvest program makes it easy to build your investment gradually. APMEX buys various precious metals with a one-day payment guarantee.

Top APMEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APMEX?

Verified

Verified

... They always have a great selection, with many coins only they have access to. The box is usually a little big. So make sure your tracking your package and home at time of deli...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

What is APMEX?

APMEX is an Oklahoma City-based precious metals company that serves both domestic and international customers. It provides government-issued coins and bars, as well as jewelry, collectibles and investment-grade bullion items from more than 90 different mints and refineries around the world.

After you complete your second order through APMEX, you are eligible for the no-cost APMEX Club, which comes with benefits like early access to flash sales and an anniversary gift, depending on your membership tier. You will move up to different membership levels – unlocking more perks – the more orders you place, or if you hit a certain spending threshold.

APMEX also offers a seller’s program that’s open to everyone — not just past customers. It buys a wide range of bullion, numismatics, rare coins and currency, as long as it can authenticate the item. Shipping costs are deducted from your total, but for most sales, you will receive payment the business day after it arrives. APMEX requires its purchases to be at least $1,000, and it does not do not purchase raw ungraded pennies, jewelry items and unrefined precious metals, such as dust or nuggets.

How does APMEX work?

Prices are listed on APMEX’s website, with a live price ticker on the top of the page so you can know if you are purchasing at a good price. Customers can choose to check out after logging in to an account or as a guest. While there is no minimum or maximum purchase amount, APMEX does suggest contacting its sales department for orders larger than $500,000.

Opening an account with APMEX is free and can help you place trades faster and check your shipping status. You can enable APMEX’s AutoInvest program to set how often you invest in your favorite gold or silver products. While you can set which products you buy and how often, you cannot specify the dollar amount, so you will be charged whatever the asking price is during your scheduled buy.

MintDirect is a coin-grading service offered by APMEX. It ensures your coins stay in pristine condition in mint-sealed tubes. You will receive uncirculated, untouched pieces without any handling or searching.

APMEX products and services

APMEX has more than 40,000 products listed on its website, including coins, bars, rounds, bullion, and seminumismatic and numismatic products. APMEX also offers several IRA-approved metals for investing.

APMEX sells IRA-approved products and works with your chosen custodian, though it does encourage using one of five preferred custodians. It has a dedicated IRA specialist to assist with new IRA accounts and investment purchases. Note that there is a minimum purchase of $2,000 for IRAs.

APMEX offers a variety of gold coins from mints worldwide, including American Gold Eagles, Canadian Gold Maple Leafs and South African Gold Krugerrands. Customers can also find gold bars from reputable mints, including PAMP Suisse, Credit Suisse and Johnson Matthey. Gold rounds, jewelry and notes are also available.

APMEX offers silver coins, including American Silver Eagles, Canadian Silver Maple Leafs and Mexican Silver Libertads. Silver bars are also available from reputable mints, including Engelhard, Johnson Matthey, and Sunshine Minting.

Also available are platinum coins and palladium, including American Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs and Australian Platinum Kangaroos. Both precious metals are available as bars and rounds.

APMEX fees

APMEX charges a flat shipping and handling fee of $9.95 per order for orders under $199. Orders over $199 ship free. You will also receive a 4% discount when you pay with a check, electronic check or wire transfer.

Cancellations are subject to a market loss policy plus a $35 cancellation fee. For accepted returns, bitcoin is refunded through BitPay at the rate of the time of the refund. A 5% restocking fee is applied to all credit card returns. Some returns or exchanges are also subject to a $50 restocking fee and market loss fee.

Additionally, customers can choose to have their non-IRA purchases stored securely with its partner, Citadel. Storage fees range from 0.45% to 0.55%, and annual fees range from $180 to $550.

APMEX FAQ

What forms of payment does APMEX accept?

APMEX offers many options to pay, though some payment methods cost less than others to use. You can use a credit or debit card, check, electronic check, wire transfer, PayPal or select cryptocurrency to complete your order. APMEX does not accept prepaid cards or money orders.

How long does it take for my APMEX order to ship?

Select domestic orders will ship as soon as the next business day after your payment has cleared. Other domestic orders can take up to three business days to ship. Typically, most domestic orders arrive within one to 10 business days and are fully insured while in transit.

What is APMEX's return policy?

Customer satisfaction is guaranteed. Returns must be initiated within seven business days through customer service. Items must be in the original packaging. Restocking fees and return shipping fees might apply. You might also pay a market loss fee.

Is APMEX legit?

APMEX has been in business since 2000 and has sold more than 130 million ounces of gold and silver in more than 60 countries around the world. It has also purchased over $1 billion worth of precious metals. It partnered with Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) in 2020 to enhance its MintDirect program.

APMEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about APMEX?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I have used Apmex on several occasions with no issues. I did see one review where the coin was being shipped to the wrong address. That happened to me as I failed to update my address after a move. It was being shipped standard USPS, I called Apmex the next day to explain and they were really good about it. They put some kind of trace on it and got it shipped back to Apmex, it was then shipped out with the new address and all was good. Just delayed.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I go with a few major bullion retailers and Apmex is one of those. I always get my order in a prompt manner. The packaging of any bullion company is going to factor into the experience, and usually a vital aspect of security so that it doesn't get stolen or something. The sales section of the website is always helpful and they have an awesome selection.

Get buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

This is was one of my yearly purchases from Apmex for silver and gold coins. They always have a great selection with many coins only they have access to. The box is usually a little big. So make sure your tracking your package and home at time of delivery or you suffer the chance the mailman just leaves your package next to the mailbox for any dirt bag to steal. Those are the times we live in now, not Apmex fault. All coins I've received from Apmex have been BU and well packed, just as advertised.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

I had made a choice to go with these guys for a couple reasons. 1 good product at a pretty good rate. 2 I had recently had a problem and with a little premature following up on my part, My Problem is being taken care of with a min. of fuss. I am pleased with these guys at this point. Thank you for asking.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I love APMEX with their selection of coins, etc. Very simple to buy from them. Customer service could not be friendlier. Stuff usually ships out quickly. Just be careful where you ship your order to, I'm reading some reviews by people trashing APMEX because someone snatched their package. Wait, how is this the fault of APMEX? Good, reliable company couldn't be nicer to deal with. Highly recommend.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

I trusted APMEX to ship me what I ordered, and in a timely manner. After weeks of not receiving my order, I placed a request to find out what happened. APMEX said that they "were going to investigate". They did their investigation, to find out indeed something happened to my order. Although it was at no fault of mine, and they 'guarantee satisfaction' APMEX stated that my request happened after their 30 day policy. Although they do ask if you don't receive your order right away, that you should wait longer. APMEX has not made this right to date, and I certainly hope they will do what is right and send me my order, or provide a refund.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

I placed two orders with this company, large, one was fine, one was the wrong item. Two weeks for them to confirm mistake, sent an RMA to return item not received (?). Asked them to note on my invoice the item I did receive rather than that which I did not before I returned the goods, they said they could not do that. I'm supposed to trust a company that wants me to return an item mistakenly sent and I have no record of that which was sent to verify the mistake. They claim video of the packing process and yet never confirmed the item sent. I sent them pics, no acknowledgment from them. I'll keep the wrong item, the value was close. They claimed to put a $25.00 credit on my account to adjust the price difference, tried to find/use it, it's nowhere to be found. They refuse to make a change on the digital invoice/record to reflect the actual item sent. It has not been a pleasant experience. Can not recommend APMEX.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

Bought from this company on the recommendation of our son, who has been a customer for years. Exceeded our expectations. Attention to detail was great. Had a bit of a problem ordering on Black Friday, but that is to be expected.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I informed APMEX that a bank wire transfer from Germany takes some days and they agreed. Some days later they informed me that the coin is not available anymore, they sold it to someone other, nevertheless we had valid contract.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

APMEX website is easy to use, well laid out with competitive pricing and overall lower premiums over spot price. Their availability of stock in rounds and coinage is outstanding. My overall experience with APMEX has always been positive with multiple purchases over the years.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Gold IRA partner.

APMEX Company Information

2000
        226 Dean A. McGee
        Oklahoma City
        OK
        www.apmex.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: