1.18/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Fannie Mae

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Fannie Mae Reviews

Original review: May 22, 2019

In April our payment not due until 30th of each month. I sent payment in. They put it on principal only. Turned around. Sent another bill for April 30. 2019. Again called them. Told them I already paid for the month of April. Had to send more money in again. 4 days later still got another letter. Called them again. Told them to put our money on house payment. They just are trying to make us lose our house is what I think. They are all connected Seterus, Dovenmuehle, Nationstar Mortgage companies. They are Fannie Mae loans. No good. Need a lawsuit against them. Please stop these people from taking away peoples houses.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I placed an asking price (verified) cash bid on a HomePath Home in Ohio and a much lower "highest & best" bid was accepted. Fannie Mae refused to enter into multiple bid process violating ethics rules. I later found out that the HomePath agent (NOT the listing agent) colluded with the other buyer to sell the home. It's fraud like this is what led to the great recession on behalf of Fannie Mae. Absolutely disgusting. I tuned the fraud onto the Ohio Attorney general and other authorities who are investigating the transaction.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My company has a FNMA loan serviced by Arbor Financial in Boston. It is an elderly property that needs new elevators at a cost of $200k for both. I have had the loan for 10 years, tried to refinance because of the horrible service by Arbor. The loan payout amount came in a $266k which tanked the refinance plan. I still need the elevators, asked Arbor for a second to pay for the work. They told me we are not "eligible" whatever that means. I have never been late on any payment and when I asked what eligible means I got no answer. We have a lot of property with different banks, Arbor and FNME are the worst I have ever seen.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Our sewer backed up into our shower and our half bath. So we looked over our inspection. It said our septic and sewer work good and the septic tank was about 20 feet from the house. We have had two different septic companies out and they cannot find a septic. We had to pull up the floor in the kitchen, hallway, both bathrooms and the sewage was under the house draining out. The kitchen sink was not hooked up and also draining under the house.

We found that the structure of the home was NOT in good condition. The joist were routed and some laying on the ground. As they said the structure of the home is found to be in good shape. So we have sunk every penny into this home and we are walking on plywood covering the floor because it needs fixed and we can't afford it. My husband and I are both on disability and have no extra money. The name of the inspector is the same person we met at the title company when we signed off on the house. So now what do we do? We can not afford an attorney.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My Fannie Mae loan is serviced by what is now Mr Cooper (formerly Nationstar). After my husband's death I fell behind in payments. Tried for modification was denied because they said it would not lower my payments the required amount. Said I could get a repayment plan. OK They said I was 6 payments in arrears (not consecutive). After my sending all my payment copies was changed to 4 as I stated. OK Set up the plan. An initial lump sum of $2100 required with 4 payments of $1008 to follow. I borrow the $2100 send it off. Pay the 4 months of which April was to be the last according to my account on their website. Let me state I was ALWAYS in contact with Mr Cooper during this time. The place is basically a call center. You never get the same person in the same state who gives you the same answer as the last one.

OK April I pay $1008.00. Next day I call to see what my monthly payment would be. I was told $685.00 due in May. Great, I can start to pay my sister back. Next day a notice of foreclosure comes certified mail. I call (AZ) this time. Girl says I didn't adhere to the plan and am $2K behind. I explain about the repayment plan. "Nope you are in default." Now I am crazed. I call the next day (TX) this time. Tell the girl my story. Put on hold. She comes back and says "I see the problem. Your initial payment of $2100 should not have been applied to the monthly plan. The monthly plan should have been for 7 months. Our mistake sorry but we can resume a new plan of $1004 (she was pleased with herself it was $4 cheaper) for SIX more months!"

Exactly HOW MUCH am I paying for this plan. Even counting my regular mort payment. I have repaid $2100 plus 4 months of $300 extra. How can I be $2K behind?? I told her I would just borrow the $2K but she says, "NO. It shows you defaulted even though it was our accounting error." What?? Fannie Mae should be more careful who they sub their mortgages to and I am contacting my reps today. This is robbery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fannie Mae?

Original review: March 6, 2018

April of 2010, I was seeking to negotiate with Fannie Mae's loan's servicing agent (Sovereign Bank) for a reduction in mortgage loan interest rate of our rental properties. Upon first contact, my finance officer was told by the loan's servicing agent that the loans had to be 45 days in default to discuss modification. I stopped payments and placed the exact payment amounts in safe recovery. By my doing what we were told was entrapment to place our properties in default. Sovereign Bank (n/k/a Santander Bank) refused to respond and began foreclosure proceedings. At a foreclosure mediation, I and my finance officer offered a plan to reduce the loan's interest rate. Response from Sovereign Bank was not to negotiate and offered only a 'friendly foreclosure' (foreclosure continues) forgiving mortgage delinquency (25% default interest, legal fees and a $368,793.54 prepayment penalty) totaling over $1,100,000.00.

Through my foreclosure attorney, I offered to make the loans current by bring all back payments up to date and pay attorney's fees. This was refused and 6 and 7 months later the foreclosures took place. During the foreclosure and 2 Court hearings (partially representing myself) I requested documentation regarding my loan's servicing. Fannie Mae, through its foreclosure attorney and loan's servicer, would not provide, denied and lied about such documentation being privileged or non-existent. Found was the 470 page 'Fannie Mae 2010 Servicing Guide Update Part VII and VIII' document with a mandatory effective date of January 1, 2011 (the same date I stopped payments to negotiate). Santander Bank grossly violated the default prevention requirements of this Fannie Mae document.

Fannie Mae was aware of their servicing guide. The two Fannie Mae personal present at the foreclosure mediation of June 2, 2011 stayed silent throughout the mediation. Fannie Mae is a money making business. Through the U.S. Treasury bailout (Housing Economic Recovery Act of 2008) Fannie Mae makes money by foreclosing on properties. "'KILL FANNIE MAE', too big to fail, so big to get away with fraud" exposes this scheme of stealing millions, most likely billions, of taxpayer money and how two government watchdog agencies have failed in their reason to exist.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Have eviction rights and laws which a supposedly Fannie Mae realtor (violated) (but not sure who he really was). Bank and its attorneys seem to know nothing about it? And this guy said, "So I heard", that he had called the banks attorneys not on the case and at first it was acknowledged they gave permission then that changed. So have no idea who gave this guy permission to do what he did with NO PAPERS SERVED. NOTHING. I suppose he's just going to put the check in his back pocket since no ones knows anything. One big cover up... I'd say. Locked out, items dumped (NOT STORED) all plants of 35 years and longer destroyed and wildlife items destruction at night... House was not vacant or abandoned. Tricked by this so called person and he had all intentions of selling it within a week of throwing me out. It's in the courts?

No papers signed or given. No marshall. No nothing. So I guess anyone without papers or ID can take your evictions rights away, DUMP your things and violently destroy the property very quickly and just put it on the market... Bank denies they know?? It all smells and if Fannie is behind it they have a corrupt person working for them. And Fannie Mae is just as corrupt. This is illegal in CT. But they don't care about people rights, either does the attorneys and the bank. It's become one big coverup... Someone has to stop it. It's ILLEGAL... How could a bank and its attorneys not know nothing?? House just went on the market Sat Jan 6 2018. It should be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Put an offer on a Fannie Mae property that needed repairs of course, it had to pass FHA appraiser/lender. Work out the extra cost in the contract, whatever repairs needed to pass would be added to cost. We drop a 1000 deposit and waited. Months go by, they little repairs to the outside and no repairs in the inside. We complained to Tom **, listening agent. Then they send some regular looking people to paint, remind you the job literally looks like a 5 year old did it.

Months later he sends us an email saying, "Everything is done. Please order appraisal". We do so, but got a chance to go inside again before appraisal. Literally nothing done!!! Paint chipping everywhere, tile missing everywhere. Dirty grease walls, holes all in the bathroom. We get in contact with Tom **, he tells us he did everything we said needed done and for us to go ahead and order the appraisal. We asked for our funds back as him and Fannie Mae breached contact. He claims we breached by not wasting more money on appraisal. We told him we showed the photos to our lender and they said an appraisal would be a waste of money. Tom and Fannie Mae will not return our funds I feel is though I'm in a real life scam!!!

Original review: May 17, 2017

We put in an offer for a Fannie Mae home, HomePath, that opened in our area. It was directly across the street from our grandson, so we were excited for the opportunity. We looked at the house and put in an offer that night for over the asking price. The offer was available to people intending to live in the home (not investors) for 2 weeks past that date. We signed a paper stating that we would move into the home in 60 days (even though it needed considerable repairs) and that we would live in the home for at least 12 months or pay a $10,000 fine.

The next morning, our realtor informed us that Fannie Mae had accepted another offer, even though it was weeks before they were going to stop taking bids. We were confused that they accepted an offer before ending date. We then found out later that the offer they accepted was lower than what we offered. Although disappointed, we felt the matter was over. Then, just 3 months later, I drove past the house and there is a "For Rent" sign outside the house. This is clearly against the guidelines Fannie Mae had set for us.

Original review: April 22, 2017

Offered Fannie Mae what they were asking for during the HomePath homeowner's first pick time frame (homeowners who are going to live in the house, not open to investors yet) and my bid was accepted and then they asked me to go on "investor's" side which they said would give me more days to move in. They acted like they were doing me a favor but they were lying to me so the bidding would open up to the investors and they would get more money.

So, then when they opened it up to the investors, and they refused and denied the verbal acceptance, asked us to bid more money and then gave the house to an investor for simply 1000 dollars more than the asking price which we offered them AND PROVED CASH FUNDS which they made me jump through hoops to show them and I DID. They are disgusting and the Attorney General office and the Consumer Financial Protection bureau would do nothing about my complaint and is doing nothing to stop this practice. They are all disgusting.

Fannie Mae Company Information