3.8/5 (2033 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Top Capital One Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just...

Verified

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should cl...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I've been banking with Capital One for years. I've had no negative experiences and I find that customer service goes above and beyond. If you're deciding which bank to go with for a checking account, do yourself a favor and pick capital one. Keep in mind that the Capital One Credit Card is a partner company, and not as fantastic as checking/saving with C1. The credit cards are mostly 'meh.'

Original review: April 12, 2022

I would start by saying Capital one is the best card company out there for middle class struggling trying to repair their credit. I found them to be the best for me. No Annual fee. A little high on the interest side but approved is what we all want. A fresh start. A chance for the hardworking American. I have always been approved when others say sorry. Nope. Capital one says, "Hell Ya."

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I've had a Quicksilver card for a bit over a year now. I always keep my balance about 2% on report day. My score jumped about 70 points in one year always paying off my charges as soon as they post. I pay as I go because I do my shopping mostly online. Their app lets you link bank accounts so you can pay electronically. The cashback is very simple, there is no programming necessary. Cash rewards come up by itself. I use mine for a statement credit although they can be applied to Amazon purchase or gifts card. You can enter the Capital One lounges with the World Elite Quicksilver card at DIA and upcoming airports. Capital One won't let their customers get head over heels in credit card debt with the Quicksilver because it is necessary to pay between charges.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

They offered me the card without fees due to already having the basic, paying on time, etc. With a $700 limit. No biggie. OK. Then I realized today that I have a 0% APR and that when I do pay an APR it's a little lower than the other card. Kinda made my day. I normally keep a low balance, but this year has been rough and I'm so grateful I've had these cards to rely on. I've got a lot to pay back, but it's worthwhile considering the struggle it could have been. And because of C1, I've now got a few other cards with low APR, my credit is growing and I'll be able to get a good home loan soon instead of the high rate loans that were thrown at me before. Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Capital One, I think everyone has seen their commercials with the catchy slogan "What's in your wallet?" and to be honest I never thought twice, but I have to hand it to them, they have one of the best applications for cards I have ever used. Not only do they have a clean interface with perks easily displayed and purchases shown with logos of the establishments, but they have a fast response time for payments (instantaneous) and watching your limits shoot back up and the cash back rewards pop in just makes you feel so darn good. They gave me a chance when I was barely eligible, not only that, but they gave me a taste of 0% APR periods and cool perks that I never thought I deserved with my standings. In combination with other providers I have earned my Good Fico score Rating I have today and I intend to keep it that way.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Bait and Switch Advertising. I saw an ad and applied for the Capital One Quicksilver Card from a link. The offer was for a $200 rebate after I charged the first $500. Capital One tells me I "applied for the wrong card", even though there was only one link from the advertisement. I am closing the account. I believe businesses should live up to their advertisements. Screw them. There are lots of cards out there.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

They solicited me for a $50K line of credit card, with 7% cash back if I spent $50K in 6 months. I joined, went to use card for a large purchase, denied it, said I had to build up a spending history. So how do you spend 50K in 6 months? Impossible. Closed account. Account was set up as estatement and autopay/full balance. Never received one statement, assumed paid in full. Notified by credit watch they filed a past due report on me after 4 months. No statements, no call, nothing. They acknowledge external account for Autopay says too bad I didn't get statements. Offered to send them email and spam logs to prove no statements sent, didn't care. Would not do anything to rectify report. THIS KNOCKED MY CREDIT SCORE DOWN 170 POINTS. IF YOU VALUE YOUR CREDIT SCORE STAY AWAY, WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I already have a couple cards with Capital One, so I was going to open a checking account. I was hung up on a couple times, tossed around to multiple departments, and put on hold numerous times. Once I got through, found out they had the wrong information on file, including my birthday. Capital One is a mess! Customer service is non-existent. Banking elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

I was excited to open my new bank account, but unfortunately, they closed my account without telling me why. They just sent me a letter with 2 sentences only and no reason why they did this. I called today customer service to ask why they close my account, and a very unprofessional CSR told me "You waited too long to do a deposit". I explained to her all the problems I have faced with the online system verifying my cellphone number. Then they told me that they don't have share branches where I can make a deposit.

I linked Capital One to my current bank to be able to transfer money between accounts and that didn't work either. The CSR are NOT nice or professional. She completely disregarded my problem. She didn't care at all. DON'T bother opening an account with these people. Sadly, you're going to be better at doing business with branch locations. Now, my small business will have to wait until I can find a bank that cares about its customers. I recently posted this review on their Facebook page and they removed it instead of helping me.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

Been a Venture cardholder for many years. Used Capital One Travel to make a hotel reservation. The hotel informed us that the reservation was cancelled and we had no room. After calling Capital One, they said they were working to find a resolution as we were billed twice to re-do the hotel reservation. Two months later, no word from Cap One. Recently, they put a hold on my credit card citing a problem with another bank that had been linked to my card. This is an account that has zero balance, has always been paid in full and on time and has 750000 miles accrued.

One month of repeated calls to their foreign based fraud center (they don’t seem to be able to communicate by emails or thru online accounts) and still am blocked. Don't want the card anymore, but would like to be able to use the miles I have earned. Is this incompetence or fraud on the part of Cap One? Doesn’t matter if I could prevent others from getting involved with this absolute joke of a bank.

Capital One Company Information