Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.13/5
Based on 1,852 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Top Capital One Reviews

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just announce[d] a breach, which really sucks, but for now, I am staying put with them.

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should close the account, no closing or hidden fees.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $1k in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one savor cash rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

Capital One Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I have been a Credit Card Customer of Capital One for quite some time and Truthfully I have the Best Credit Card In The World! No foreign transaction fees. A great credit limit. 1.5% cashback. What more can I ask for in a credit card? Today being Wednesday, October 2, 2019, I received Outstanding Service from Marie (Employee #**). She went out of her way to listen to my needs and find a resolution and I am Not sure what I would have done if it were Not for her. I personally want to Thank Marie for providing ME with Top Class, First Rated Customer Service.

Sincerely yours,
Howard Paul
Executive, Volunteer Writer For Google And Tripadvisor Websites

Capital One Credit Card Customer

/HPS

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have been a C1 credit card holder for about 10 years. I have only positive things to say. When they detected a fraud about twice in the past decade or so, they immediately called and lately also send emails. I get on the horn and they correct it, immediately send out a new card, etc. Spotless. Every time I talked to a representative, they were pretty good and seem to be knowledgeable and helpful.

The only small gripe I have is about their phone verification. About 5 months ago I opened a 360 checking and savings with them. Spot on. Worked flawless. It took about a week to have the initial funds transferred from my external bank. I have direct deposit with them which worked flawless so far. However, after 4 months of using Zelle to make transfers, all of a sudden they wanted to verify my phone number. I've been with them for nearly a decade (credit cards) so they have everything on file. Since I have a pay-as-you-go mobile plan, I never give out my number, but what the heck. No big deal. Apparently they cannot verify pay-as-you-go or prepaid mobile plans. Since these phone plans do not require neither an SSN nor a driver's license, apparently there is no record that the phone number is tied to your name, hence they are unable to verify it.

I've pointed out that this is my first mobile number, and I have this number of 8 years. Never had another one, never used another SIM card. In vain. Apparently they can only verify postpaid phone plans. Of course the cheapest phone plan on a postpaid plan is 60 bucks (as opposed to $3). I have no way of justifying shelling out that much money a month just so a bank can verify my ownership of the phone number. As a result, my Zelle transfers were halted and had to go "around" by transferring the money back to my external account (which I kept open), and from that account I am able to make transfers. Also, I cannot add joint account holder to the checking account due to failed phone verification.

Now, get this. They can manually set up a joint account over the phone, if both parties are present at the same time, but they can only do this for savings account. To add a joint account holder to your checking account, you need at least a $60/month phone plan so they can verify your ownership of the phone number. In other words, if you have a six-figure savings account, they can add joint account holders to it no problem, but if you have a checking account with $200 monthly balance then forget it. Is this messed up or what!? Other than the ridiculous issue with unable to verify prepaid phone numbers, I have no gripe with them. Oh, also, I was able to call in and they helped me fix the Zelle issue. So that should be good to go again - we shall see this next month when I will do my regular transfer.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I banked with WF for years, simply because that was the bank that my parents used and my very first account. Two years ago, I lost my job and started looking for ways to save money. That's when I discovered Capital One and decided to open a Money Market account with them, since a friend referred me and explained that I would get a $100 credit by signing up with her code, in addition to a 2% interest rate. I decided to try it and obtained $180 after the first 30 days of opening the account; $80 as interest, and $100 from my friend's referral code. I can't believe that I had spent so many years banking with institutions that only offered %0.01 for my money!

While doing my research, I also saw that other banks advertise a 2% interest rate but when I clicked to find out more information, it was only offered on CD accounts, which means that I would have not been able to touch my money for 9 or 12 months. With Capital One's Money Market, that's not an issue. I can receive a high interest rate while also being able to access that money any time, without paying any penalties. Capital One 360 has helped me obtain more for my money and keep better track of my credit score through its "creditwise" reports. Once I got hired and started working full-time again, I also decided to start using Capital One credit cards. I started with the Quicksilver, and now I have the Savor card. I love how easy it is to pay or transfer money both through my computer and the phone app. I loved Quicksilver because it felt like a very honest card, you get 1.5% cash back on ALL your purchases, period.

I didn't have to try to figure out if I was only getting 1% on gas, but 2% on entertainment, or try to figure out which purchase would classify for cash back. I now have the Savor card because I do spend a significant amount of money eating out and on entertainment, and the 4% cash back adds up fairly quickly. I genuinely feel that Capital One 360 has helped me improve my financial life and I prefer this bank over any of the other banks that I have used: higher interest, better and quicker customer service, and easy to use phone app.

My only suggestion would be that I wish Capital One offered mortgage options, that way I wouldn't have to look for mortgage lenders through another bank. I highly recommend Capital One and think that you will find the right account and card for your needs. Here's my referral code, in case you decided to try it. I receive $20 for referring you, and you receive $100 for opening a new 360 account (360 Checking, 360 Savings or 360 Money Market), with an initial deposit of $250. Enjoy! https://capital.one/2Xrh0Wx

Original review: June 2, 2019

I just want to acknowledge Capital One for the customer service I always receive. They value even the little people and the interest rate I pay 24% or something like that doesn’t even bother me because It is a small price to pay for great care. They always fix any issue — fast on unauthorized charges even crediting your account before determining your disputes validity.

I was late 2 times in the past 6 months due to a broken phone and a move and when I called to see if I could reverse the late fee they did so with no hesitation! My limits are 500 and 1000 so that they care for me as a mediocre customer speaks loudly to their integrity and shows they value All customers... which after being treated unfairly by Walmart credit after never making late payments and getting a credit reduction really made me appreciate them. Not to mention when you say you want an agent on the automated system it just says ok not asking why until you are blue in the face.. 10 stars Cap One.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I spoke to a gentleman I believe his name was Kerry? Or Terry? Point is he was absolutely amazing. I was helped as soon as I found out someone else was using my card. Even though it was 11:30 at night! I have never on the phone had someone as helpful professional, and just plain awesome at handling a stressful situation for a customer. He reminded me multiple times that everything will be alright and that Capital One will take care of everything. His kind words and EXTREMELY professional demeanor were refreshing and amazing to see. He definitely deserves this review, and represented his company so well that I have a completely new view and will be keeping my card for a very long time. A++++++++ service! Thank you!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I am using Capital One Walmart credit card. I set up my automatic payment for card balance. And also check out statement that it shows only due date Dec 2th for payment. Capital one never demand for payment before due date. I got a notification for I didn't pay balance on Nov 17th. My credit score dropped down 6 points. I have checked out everything that I may overlooked for payment. But no. Capital one only says that Dec 2th is payment date.

Capital one experience almost 30 point decreased my credit score in total. I have another bad experience with capital one. I just wanna understand that if credit bureau payment earlier than capital one payment then why I don't see any notification or anything in my mobile app or mailing something from customer support or any way to help before my credit score down. Shame on you!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

The take advantage of people in need of credit with insane interest rates. I paid my balance off expecting to have a zero balance, and I did. I checked back a few days later and it said I owed like three dollars. No big deal. I figured extra interest as my payment in full took a few days to post. So I paid the three dollars. This all paid before the due date. So I was at zero balance.

So now like three days later I check back to make sure all is good and I find they just added an additional charge of like $150.00. I call them they tell me it’s additional interest. I tell them when a balance is paid in full that should be the end of that. That’s not how Capital One works. They screw you when you owe them and screw you when you don’t. DON’T LET THEM SCREW YOU. I had no choice but to pay them the $150.00 so I could close the account as when I called them they had no interest in helping me. They lost me as a customer. My wife just canceled her card. I am now going to pay off my three daughters Capital One cards so they can and will close their accounts. They just lost five good customers over their poor business practice and terrible customer service.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I actually opened a Capitol One quick silver credit card in 2015 which has an annual fee of $39 and APR of 24.7%. I then went on to obtain another Capital one card and financed a Infiniti SUV and a Acura sedan within the past 2 years in which I've made all payments early. I contacted them to see if they would remove the annual fee or cut the interest rate and was to no! That they do periodic analysis and had no offer for me. I explained that I can open another quick silver card with $0 annual fee and was informed that it possible I would be approved but they can't help me at this point. I informed the representative that within 6 months I'm trading in the Infiniti SUV for the bigger one and will not use Capital One which is sad because they've been good to me in the past but I will move on.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

For over a month they've been told that when you click to edit the payee account #, the link comes up with a blank Recaptcha box. The feature is completely unavailable and it's obviously a glitch in their web page, but they insist all we need to do is clear the cache, use a different browser, or log in Incognito. None of this works.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I have had questions regarding my account and when you talk to a representative they never answer questions. They always seem to have to talk to a manager and can not think for themselves. I will never use Capital One ever again. Closed my account forever and they still send me offers even though I told them to never contact me again...

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One pros and cons

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Capital One Company Information