2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Top Capital One Reviews We Found

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just announce[d] a breach, which really sucks, but for now, I am staying put with them.

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should close the account, no closing or hidden fees.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $1k in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

Capital One Reviews

Original review: March 17, 2020

I had multiple credit cards and accounts and a perfect payment history for years, then one month my direct deposit didn't go in and none of my bills get paid, I found the issue had it fixed but things quickly spiraled since it wasn't fixed right away, I contacted all my creditors and out of four only two worked with me. Capital One was exceptional in reaching out to me and offering numerous ways to get back on track, easy plans and even gave me the option of suggesting to them what I could do which I did not take advantage of. I took one of their offers and In two months was back on track, I was still overdrawn but my payments were back on track, once a plan was set they didn't charge me any overdraft fees, late fees, I was only charge the first non-payment fees from the two missed payments before my deposits were fixed and my regular interest.

The two other cards said before i could have a payment plan I had to be at least three months behind in payments, by then the cards doubled my balances with fines and fees so I let them charge off but kept the two that worked with me. When my friends and family get credit card offers I always tell them go with Capital One. I'll never give it up, they were wonderful, understanding and didn't make me feel worse than I already felt.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I have been a Credit Card Customer of Capital One for quite some time and Truthfully I have the Best Credit Card In The World! No foreign transaction fees. A great credit limit. 1.5% cashback. What more can I ask for in a credit card? Today being Wednesday, October 2, 2019, I received Outstanding Service from Marie (Employee #**). She went out of her way to listen to my needs and find a resolution and I am Not sure what I would have done if it were Not for her. I personally want to Thank Marie for providing ME with Top Class, First Rated Customer Service.

Sincerely yours,
Howard Paul
Executive, Volunteer Writer For Google And Tripadvisor Websites

Capital One Credit Card Customer

/HPS

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have been a C1 credit card holder for about 10 years. I have only positive things to say. When they detected a fraud about twice in the past decade or so, they immediately called and lately also send emails. I get on the horn and they correct it, immediately send out a new card, etc. Spotless. Every time I talked to a representative, they were pretty good and seem to be knowledgeable and helpful.

The only small gripe I have is about their phone verification. About 5 months ago I opened a 360 checking and savings with them. Spot on. Worked flawless. It took about a week to have the initial funds transferred from my external bank. I have direct deposit with them which worked flawless so far. However, after 4 months of using Zelle to make transfers, all of a sudden they wanted to verify my phone number. I've been with them for nearly a decade (credit cards) so they have everything on file. Since I have a pay-as-you-go mobile plan, I never give out my number, but what the heck. No big deal. Apparently they cannot verify pay-as-you-go or prepaid mobile plans. Since these phone plans do not require neither an SSN nor a driver's license, apparently there is no record that the phone number is tied to your name, hence they are unable to verify it.

I've pointed out that this is my first mobile number, and I have this number of 8 years. Never had another one, never used another SIM card. In vain. Apparently they can only verify postpaid phone plans. Of course the cheapest phone plan on a postpaid plan is 60 bucks (as opposed to $3). I have no way of justifying shelling out that much money a month just so a bank can verify my ownership of the phone number. As a result, my Zelle transfers were halted and had to go "around" by transferring the money back to my external account (which I kept open), and from that account I am able to make transfers. Also, I cannot add joint account holder to the checking account due to failed phone verification.

Now, get this. They can manually set up a joint account over the phone, if both parties are present at the same time, but they can only do this for savings account. To add a joint account holder to your checking account, you need at least a $60/month phone plan so they can verify your ownership of the phone number. In other words, if you have a six-figure savings account, they can add joint account holders to it no problem, but if you have a checking account with $200 monthly balance then forget it. Is this messed up or what!? Other than the ridiculous issue with unable to verify prepaid phone numbers, I have no gripe with them. Oh, also, I was able to call in and they helped me fix the Zelle issue. So that should be good to go again - we shall see this next month when I will do my regular transfer.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I banked with WF for years, simply because that was the bank that my parents used and my very first account. Two years ago, I lost my job and started looking for ways to save money. That's when I discovered Capital One and decided to open a Money Market account with them, since a friend referred me and explained that I would get a $100 credit by signing up with her code, in addition to a 2% interest rate. I decided to try it and obtained $180 after the first 30 days of opening the account; $80 as interest, and $100 from my friend's referral code. I can't believe that I had spent so many years banking with institutions that only offered %0.01 for my money!

While doing my research, I also saw that other banks advertise a 2% interest rate but when I clicked to find out more information, it was only offered on CD accounts, which means that I would have not been able to touch my money for 9 or 12 months. With Capital One's Money Market, that's not an issue. I can receive a high interest rate while also being able to access that money any time, without paying any penalties. Capital One 360 has helped me obtain more for my money and keep better track of my credit score through its "creditwise" reports. Once I got hired and started working full-time again, I also decided to start using Capital One credit cards. I started with the Quicksilver, and now I have the Savor card. I love how easy it is to pay or transfer money both through my computer and the phone app. I loved Quicksilver because it felt like a very honest card, you get 1.5% cash back on ALL your purchases, period.

I didn't have to try to figure out if I was only getting 1% on gas, but 2% on entertainment, or try to figure out which purchase would classify for cash back. I now have the Savor card because I do spend a significant amount of money eating out and on entertainment, and the 4% cash back adds up fairly quickly. I genuinely feel that Capital One 360 has helped me improve my financial life and I prefer this bank over any of the other banks that I have used: higher interest, better and quicker customer service, and easy to use phone app.

My only suggestion would be that I wish Capital One offered mortgage options, that way I wouldn't have to look for mortgage lenders through another bank. I highly recommend Capital One and think that you will find the right account and card for your needs. Here's my referral code, in case you decided to try it. I receive $20 for referring you, and you receive $100 for opening a new 360 account (360 Checking, 360 Savings or 360 Money Market), with an initial deposit of $250. Enjoy! https://capital.one/2Xrh0Wx

Original review: June 2, 2019

I just want to acknowledge Capital One for the customer service I always receive. They value even the little people and the interest rate I pay 24% or something like that doesn’t even bother me because It is a small price to pay for great care. They always fix any issue — fast on unauthorized charges even crediting your account before determining your disputes validity.

I was late 2 times in the past 6 months due to a broken phone and a move and when I called to see if I could reverse the late fee they did so with no hesitation! My limits are 500 and 1000 so that they care for me as a mediocre customer speaks loudly to their integrity and shows they value All customers... which after being treated unfairly by Walmart credit after never making late payments and getting a credit reduction really made me appreciate them. Not to mention when you say you want an agent on the automated system it just says ok not asking why until you are blue in the face.. 10 stars Cap One.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: May 23, 2020

I hope in the Capital One credit card two years ago. This is my second credit card that are open for capital one. I asked the representative if I could change transfer my current balance from the open capital one credit card to the new capital one credit card with a lower APR and a higher balance and I was told I could not so needless to say I have not use that credit card since I opened it and today I received the email that my account was just closed due to inactivity. I think this is a sorry excuse for a corporation To give no due process to the consumer that they are doing adverse action on an open account of theirs to me. This is irreconcilable. They also told me, "Well this account cannot be re-opened." I used to have very high regard for capital one but no longer. I’m in process of moving any balance to AE.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I opened a personal credit card with CapitalOne 15 years ago. I got notice that they elected to close my account without notice. When I called CapitalOne I was told there was nothing that they could do, they did not care that they were going to adversely affect my credit. When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told I was speaking to one and there was no one above the person I could talk to. I was then told, I could apply for a new credit card as a solution to my issue. I have been a loyal customer to them for 15 years, I have another credit card and several CD accounts with CapitalOne, I pay my bills on time. I am very disappointed in the practices of this company and lack of customer service. I will not be doing any further business with this business.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I had a credit card with Capital One for about 10 years. They became uncompetitive over the years by never modifying the rewards for my card so I stopped using about 2 years ago. I still kept it in my wallet for emergencies though. No biggie right? Nope, I received an email saying my account is formally closed. When I called and asked if they could reopen they said, No." I use Capital One for my businesses too and told them I will go out and find new credit for my business and close them down too and they said, "OK."

I find it very unpalatable that they send me a constant barrage of emails, postal mail and phone calls about their offers and opportunities for us to work more closely together yet they had me as a client on the personal and business side yet they think it is appropriate to not send a single, "Hey, you need to use this card at least once," etc - nothing - before rudely closing my account. I'll never use Capital One again and advise others to stay away if they expect them to be treated as most people and businesses treat their customers nowadays i.e. with common courtesy.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I have been trying to get my $302.74 back from a scam company since November 2019, this scam company sent me an email in December 2019 informing me that they had put the money back on my card but this was an absolute lie....I was May 19,2020 told by Capital One that they are not refunding my money to me because I had to copy and paste this email to send in to Capital One due to being confined to my home during Covid-19 and as soon as I was able to go to my office I faxed the document to them with an explanation and still they will not refund me this money. I contacted Capital One three times in March-May 2020 requesting a call back from a manager and did not get a call.

Finally yesterday (May 19, 2020) I was put through to a Supervisor/Manager who was totally useless. I would definitely 100% not recommend Capital One to anybody, they are looking out for the large scam companies not for their petty little consumers!!! I have lodged a complaint with the Ombudsman and I will get my money back!!! Totally unacceptable and the most horrible customer service I have ever experienced in my life!! I am applying for another credit card and will transfer my balance to it so that I DO NOT have to experience such horrible service ever again!!!

Original review: May 15, 2020

So I am a small business owner and was FORCED to close down my business. I had to use my money saved to pay rent and store rent, food, etc. Cap 1 was last in line. Well I was late April and May. I finally was able to get open and paid everything past due and became current again. Well I finally was able to have a rep call me back after 3 hours. They stated we can only remove one fee. Not both. What a scumbag company. Please if you read this, remember they DO NOT care. They 100% do not care about COVID-19 business close downs. THINK ABOUT THIS. If you are late and call in and have never been late, what do they do, they remove a late fee as a courtesy right! Well they had the opportunity to step up and help and waive both, but no. I will pay off this card and tell them to shove it up the **. POS company.

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
    Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
    What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
    There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
    How do you find your Capital One account number?
    You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
    Does Capital One have a mobile app?
    Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
    Where are Capital One branch locations?
    Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One pros and cons

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
    • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
    • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
    • Opt-in overdraft charges

Capital One Company Information