1.23/5

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4240 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Paid my card off that I have had for 18 years and got a statement showing they charged me 39.00 for member service and .50 for interest. I called customer service and the young lady said she could not do anything about it. I told her I want the 39.50 waived and she said I had to talk to her supervisor. After a 30 min hold the supervisor did not care and said they can’t waive it. I told her to cancel my card. She did and they hung up on me. I will never use Capital One again, I have a card that was bought out by Capital One that I will pay off and close as well.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I've been trying to get into my online account for days now. Every time I put in my log in details, it just says they can't recognize my device. Who cares? I never asked you to do that! They say the only way to "verify" my identity is to call them, but there is no customer service to speak of. For some ungodly reason they cannot simply send me an e-mail access code like every other civilized company would do in this situation. Frankly, I hate this company for doing things like this. Note to management: implement an online chat for your customers to get help (not this useless FAQ crap), and fix your authentication methods, because you are way behind the competition here.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I was very satisfied with Capital One for years until my card expired. They supposedly sent me a new one that I never received so I had to spend forever on the phone requesting a new one that was supposed to arrive within days, which never did. They changed the number on the card in case of fraud which interrupted all of my autopayments and since I didn't receive a new card I had to move everything onto a different credit card. I had to completely change my payments and work around different credit limits and missed loads of payments due to the interruption which still has not been resolved 3 months later. My credit score has dropped and I am stressed and frustrated because my finances are all mixed up. I'm SO disappointed with the way Capital One is set up, making it difficult for customers to speak with humans and get problems solved.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

This is the worst company for either banking or credit cards. They also en masse change policies with no notice whatsoever. Unbelievably awful experience. I'll never do business with them again. I can't wait to open new accounts elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I was asked to provide proof to change my address because of fraud. Now who would commit fraud on their own account. This is very unprofessional to ask customers to submit proof to change their address. I don’t have problems with my other credit card companies when charging my address online. The customer service is rude and unprofessional and why send in proof when you verify everything by phone when a customer calls. I will be closing my account and go where I get great customer service and not charged a yearly and monthly fee just to have a credit card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Overlimit fee not explained. First of all, it is shameful you pick and choose when the account can over and not notify the client. I could be stranded on a desert highway without gas for my car and you won't allow a penny over... Yet you did me a favor by charging 29.00 for a 5.00 courtesy that I can not see on my statement? Horrible operations.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I believe you should always show and share your appreciation for kindness. So I need to share my experience with my Capital One credit card. Please take the time to read this, I would greatly appreciate my story being heard. With that being said I called to make my payment via phone November 1st... I was confused to hear the automated balance was $700 dollars less than my statement balance. I quickly pressed 0 for customer service. Long story short I insisted to escalate the call as to the fact I thought it was an error. It was brought to my attention that my active duty husband enrolled us in SCRA (Servicemembers Civil Relief Act). It’s a program that lowers interest rates to %4, not late fees or membership fees and no finance charges for the duration of his deployment.

I’m sure others (like me) are unaware that Capital One offers this service. $700 might not be a lot to some but it meant the world to me and my husband...Especially with upcoming holidays. Everyone seems to recognize the military only on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. It’s always been a shame being a military. We are ‘really’ honored two days a year. I felt it very necessary to thank management and waited on hold to do so. I spoke with Tyler a military specialist in the SCAR department and he listened to my story. He then thanked my family for our service and also thanked me for being so genuinely and taking the time to say thank you. I will admit I was shocked Tyler had so much empathy for me.

After hanging up I didn’t think experience with Capital One could get any better until today... I received a huge bouquet from 1-800-flowers with the message inside that read... “It was a joy speaking with you. Your positive attitude changed my day, I hope these brightens your day, just like you did for me! Wish you nothing but the best. Daja and Capital One”. I have never felt more important... My hope for sharing this is for all credit cardholders to feel as special and appreciated as I do from a Company/corporation and employees as I do. I don’t feel like a ‘number’ and I know I will be heard in the future when I have questions or concerns. Thank you for taking care of us little people and making us feel important and valued. Not all companies take care of the military. For those of you unaware Capital One does! Forever Grateful.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Sit on hold for over an hour. Restrictions on every online purchase. Why have a card that is not convenient. Respond to calls! This company is not customer focused. It is disappointing because used to care about the consumers.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I got a secured card to increase my credit and about 2 months in was told I created fraud and had to send in all this documentation to prove that the checking account I used wasn’t mine. I sent in all docs and was told to wait 72 hrs. 72 hrs pass no call so I call. The representative states, "Oh we need more documentation and it’ll be another 72 hrs." I call yesterday and was told I have to wait another 72 hrs. So 72 *3= 216 hrs of hell. I asked the representative why would I want to build somebody’s credit and he couldn’t give me an answer so I told him, "I get it. Y’all have no answers for me and can’t answer any questions without lying. I get it." My credit score dropped due to their nonsense. I have a Citicard too and never had an issue. Capital One has been jerking me around and I’m over it. Time to find a company that has better class.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I had my identity stolen several years ago, and added additional security to every credit card, loan, and bank account I have. Capital One ended the additional protection I had, did not notify me, and sure enough, my account was compromised. My address on file was changed, and a replacement card was sent out to this new/fake address.

Capital One had no explanation for why my additional security was removed, and simply offered to change my account number and send me a new card. They had no answer as to how this actually proactively secured my account versus just reacting to whenever someone may try this again. Their only additional security was to "lock" and "unlock" my card via their website every time I wanted to use my card. At this point, my account is closed, as Capital One does not provide a credit card with adequate security with viable usability.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I called to speak to a supervisor, he gave me the name "Shaquille". What for customer service was very rude to me, had a bad attitude, raised his voice to talk over me then after refusing to give me a name number or another supervisor, he hang up on me! After being a loyal customer for 2 years I canceled my Capital One credit card thanks to his poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have been a customer of Capital One for nearly 6 years - I started out with a secured card, then was granted a GM card and a Quicksilver card. The top limit is $750 on the Quicksilver account. I have never missed a payment, paid more (many times a lot more) than the minimum due, and keep the utilization rates low, which is hard to do when the limits are so low. I have asked for an increase for 3 years and nothing. I have other accounts that have $10,000 to as high as $20,000 limits - my credit score averaged 736 for the past 3 years. I don't get it - it's always one excuse after another. I may just close these out soon - not worth having.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My 23 y.o daughter who already has credit score around 700 (due to paid off student loan and keeping a checking account since 15), full time job, and an account with Capital One for small car loan, has applied on-line for their credit card in response to offer sent directly to her name. Her on-line application was immediately approved but then their fraud department called and informed that they put a block on this newly issued card because my daughter's address on the card application was different from the one they found by doing hard check on her credit report. They requested proof of residence, copy of identification, and SS card to be sent to them over internet, supposedly safe URL, but who can guarantee safe transition was not their concern.

Indeed, my daughter just graduated from PT school, started new job and moved to a new apartment. So, what? People move all the time. To prove her new address, she offered to provide copies of her state ID, employment information, apartment lease, and utility bill. Capital One said lease and paycheck are not a proof, only utility bill AND bank statement. She sent utility bill, Capital One called the utility company to verify if she was a customer. Understandably, due to security reasons, utility company refused to give out customer info over the phone because anyone could present themselves as bank and ask for her address, right?

Next, my daughter and I share bank account where her earnings are deposited by via payroll. However, our bank shows only one address on monthly statements, the primary account holder address (that is me). Our local bank branch went above and beyond their duties and provided official letter with letterhead and signatures that my daughter is their customer, included her account number and bank routing number. This was uploaded to Capital One as requested. However, fraud department called again saying that letter is not sufficient, they only accept monthly statement with transactions.

The fact that she has already has a loan account with Capital One registered on her new address and makes payments on schedule was not an argument for fraud department. So, regardless of your credit history, if you recently moved and have no records of your new address in your credit report, there is no way to obtain credit card from Capital One because they do not accept any reasonable document as proof of residence.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

So my wife applied online and gave her bank information for a $100 deposit. TWO separate $100 debited from our account. Complained to our bank and got $100 back while still pending. Card came in mail and wouldn't work. Capital One said they mistakenly canceled both accounts and we have to wait 70 DAYS FOR OUR REFUND CHECK. 70 DAYS!!! DIRTY ROTTEN THIEF **!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I open my account in Capital One online and then I deposited my cheque and I wait and then they said that it is bad cheque and I call the customer care service and ask what is going in my account and they said that they restrictions on my account and also deposited my cheque. They are not given my back. They said if they will gave my money and then are going to suffer loss. I have totally bad experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

When a customer trying so hard to make their payment on time they should appreciate them and try their best to help! Not charging them late fee for a stupid issue. When you set up an automatic payment, you are assuming that your payment will go through on time so you don't need to worry about getting charge for late fee.

BUT then, if they change their minimum payment amount on you and you are only $1-2 different on the payment, they will charge you $27 late fee! Even when you tried to call them at 8.30 pm EST, they won't give your money back regardless. No excuse whatsoever! They'll just going to steal that money from you. So 1. I did set up auto payment, 2. I tried to call them at 8.30 pm EST once I realized that my minimum payment amount had changed., 3. you asked them to give you credit for the late fee and they won't give it to you. What a stupid customer service!!! Never in my life, I will apply for any Capital One account again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I believe they should hire more professional customer services representatives. Syvia ** is a customer service representative. She was so disrespectful, unprofessional and had the worst attitude ever. I believe if Capital One wants to lose their customers, they should hire more of her.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We've been very satisfied Cabela's customers for decades under the 'old' Foremost Bank card/terms and have NEVER had issues, even when I lost my wallet on a California trip. Since the purchase of Cabela's by Bass Pro, it's been a depressing time dealing with Capital One. First a letter to each of us (his/her accounts) outlining the new terms and conditions with new DIFFERING & much HIGHER interest rates. Upon calling I was told 'something detrimental' upon my credit report was causing it. With a new home purchase and a score of 823? I thought not and canceled my account/card. The last 3 statements keep reflecting an ever increasing interest rates.

When my wife called about her increase being high (but still less than mine), she was told that it was a justified increase but lowered hers by 3 points (still higher than before though). Her latest statement reflects a large increase once again (with a 775+ score) and she has canceled her account/card. We will have both accounts paid by end of year and we'll never set foot in a store of theirs again. We've been dealing with Scheels and really hope they open a store closer to us. Hey Capital One, what DON'T we have in our wallet?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have had Capital One Platinum card for 4 years, actually two different credit cards with Capital One. One day they call me and tell me that they have closed one account because OF fraudulent OR suspicions on where my payments were coming from. Both cards received monthly payments from the same account yet one is suspicious and the other is not. I have been calling Capital One 3 times a week FROM END OF July 2018 and now is October 26, 2018 - a phone call lasts from 45 minutes to an hour and half, each time I speak to customer service representative I am transferred to some sort of a supervisor or manager who says they will have a resolution and my refund in 3 to 5 business days. I call every week 2 or 3 times and each week I am given a different version of what is going on where the refund check is. NEVER EVER USE CAPITAL ONE SECURE CREDIT CARDS. YOU WILL NEVER GET YOUR DEPOSIT MONEY BACK.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Applied and received the Capital One Platinum Card with a $300 limit. I was very pleased because I’m 100% committed to rebuilding my credit. After 6 months of using and paying off my card every month I was rewarded with a $200 credit limit increase on 10/18/18 making my overall credit line $500. I was thrilled. Then on 10/23/18 I went to pick up a prescription at a local pharmacy and was told my lousy $10 purchase didn’t go thru??? So I called Capital One and was told I wasn’t a good credit risk and that they closed my account. Like WHAT???

My score is higher today than it was when they gave me that card 7 months ago!!! I literally said to the rep that I wanted to speak to someone else and was repeatedly told there was no one else to speak to. All he could do was read me the same response that Capital One has the right to close an account at any time... So what kind of biz are they running??? Why would they close an account that is paid on time and they just gave a credit limit increase too??? This company is a joke. Stick with Discover Card friends - they don’t play games. #shameonyouCapitalOne.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Been a Capital One customer for over 15 years and recently tried to add a small business card. Easy right!? WRONG. Capital One is so incompetent, they have spent two months trying to verify my identity and I AM ALREADY A CUSTOMER! LAME!! Try to call and get put on hold for 30 - 60 minutes at a time only to reach a call center in some foreign land who cannot speak English with a bad connection. They can't do anything. I actually applied for an AMEX business card while I was waiting on hold with Capital One and it was approved instantly and I received my card in a week. WTF Capital One? Why are you sooo lame? Fire everyone!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I've been a card holder for years. I've repeatedly asked for an increase or for a lower interest rate and I was always turned down. Mind you, my credit is very good but they have always refused. I finally transferred my entire balance over to a card with 0% interest. They still charged me $4.05 interest. I asked for this amount to be waived and they repeatedly refused. This is a terrible card with terrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Capital One REQUIRES a paper check mailed to North Carolina to pay a credit card account balance and then claim "It Must Be Lost in The Mail" Hurricane Florence? Spent 2.5 hours chasing down this story on telephone and heard several reports that Capital One has problems. I agree.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Looooong story, short. I applied for this PLATINUM Credit Card online. I was approved immediately for a, 200.00 credit line with only a, 49.00, deposit. I was planning a trip, needed this card for deposits on a rental vehicle...so, I sent a extra payment on 10/3/18, for 100.00 and also a second payment on 10/04/18, for 105.00, thinking it would be applied to my credit card, wrong.

I called them on October 17th, asked where was the cash I sent, via debit card, that cleared my bank account on 10-5-18, both payments were received. I was told. What else I was told, they didn't understand what happened, they would LOOK INTO IT, and I would for sure, have the credit line of 371.00 on my card by Fri. Oct. 19th. That was a phone call that after being put on hold, transferred to a SPECIALIST, 5 times, lasting 64 mins. I sat on the phone dealing with this.

Again, I called on, Fri. Oct. 19th, because money still not on my card. Again, transferred 3 times, and this call lasted 35 mins. I was PROMISED, the money would be on my card, by days end of the 19th. On Monday, Oct.22nd, still, no money. I called again, sat on hold 43 mins, transferred 3 times, and told by an SPECIALIST, this was WEIRD, that all my money didn't get put on my card, and he would send another email?? To their accounting SPECIALIST, and for me to call back in 3-4 days. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE, OR DEPEND ON THEM, PERIOD!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I called to cancel my card, and after waiting two weeks, I still haven't received it. I called four times and each time the agent says that the prior person did not process it correctly. This is a shame. I will not be using their services again. I can't wait to pay off this card and be done with their crappy customer service. Worst experience of my life.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Where do I begin? Well I guess I’ll start by saying that I have a brokerage account with TD Ameritrade that also has checking account functions for bill pay purposes. Since my Capital One card would only except ACH payments I had to use the routing number and account number to make my payments. This first mix up was 100% my fault I’ll admit. I entered the routing number and my brokerage account number thinking that was the same thing. Well it wasn’t and I found out when my payment got rejected. I called TD Ameritrade to find out what was happening and they explained to me that they provide a different account number for checking purposes. She gave me that account number over the phone and we verified that I had the correct routing number which I did.

I also called Capital One to explain the problem and they said that everything was OK and that they understood and they assisted me in removing the brokerage account number from my payment options. So on Saturday I made another attempt to pay my bill. Tuesday comes around and I see that it got rejected AGAIN! I was so beyond upset. I have more than enough money to cover this so I don’t get it. I called TD Ameritrade to see what was going on and I find out that they had done maintenance of some kind over the weekend and for some strange reason it caused a lot of people problems because their ACH transactions that they had made had bounced back as well and their call center was being flooded with calls from people with the same problem.

So then I went back to the app and made another attempt to make a payment after I was reassured that this would not happen again and I also called Capital One to yet again explain what was going on and to reassure them that this was not my fault and they agreed and said everything was going to be OK again so then I went back to the app and made another attempt to make a payment after I was reassured that this would not happen again and I also called Capital One to yet again explain what was going on and to reassure them that this was not my fault and they agreed and said everything was ok yet again.

Well things were far from ok. I was very surprised to get an email a couple of days later about my account being restricted. This was at 4 am MST and they are EST so I called and was told they were closed. Well I went back to sleep and when I woke up I called them first thing and was very shocked when the automated system said my account was closed. When I asked to speak to representative I was passed over to the fraud department and they said they close my account because my payment method was rejected twice. Wow boy was I amazed by this. It did not matter to them that I had called them both times to explain the problem. It did not matter to them that the second time was 100% not my fault and completely out of my hands. None of that mattered to them. They just went and close my account without giving the most recent payment a chance to go through.

I would understand if they restricted my account until I could call in and verify everything but for them to just close it is mind-boggling to me. Especially since I had phoned them several times and kept communication open with them about the problems. They didn’t care and they said that they could not re-open my account and the only way that I could get another account with them was to apply for the card all over again. And verify everything but for them to just close it is mind-boggling to me. Especially since I had phoned them several times and kept communication open with them about the problems. They didn’t care and they said that they could not re-open my account and the only way that I could get another account with them was to apply for the card all over again.

How ridiculous is this! These people are disgusting. No other way to describe it. It doesn’t matter if you communicate with them. They will still screw you over. Apparently they are perfect and they never make mistakes and they also refuse to understand that things happen. None of it matters. So my advice consider another credit card. These people have the worst customer service on the planet. They aren’t even worthy of the one star I was forced to give them. Zero stars is more like it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This the second time I have been rejected by Capital One for a prescreened credit card offer. The offer gives the applicant A $150.00 bonus if $500.00 is spent in the first 90 days. So I wasted my time filling out the application only to be rejected. To be clear I do not believe this was a good faith offer to begin with. I was asked if I was interested in or planned to transfer any Credit Card balances among other questions.

Make your own judgment based on my experience with other banks I have got offers from. My FICO credit score hovers between 790 and 810, so say 800. In the last two years I cannot even remember how many such offers I have received and taken advantage of. But I know for sure that I got offers from and took advantage of offers from Barclay's, Bank of America, TD Bank, First Third Bank and Chase. And I just took advantage of an offer I found on my own from Barclay's so that's two offers from I have used Barclay's and Bank of America.

It's a numbers game for them. Even though they pay out bonuses, in the long run they come out ahead collecting fees and interest payments. So when the banks I name above make such offers they are legitimate because you are accepted or rejected based on your credit score and the current relationship you have, if any, with the bank. They don't concern themselves with whether they come out ahead on any one account holder. To sum you if you get a prescreened Credit Card offer from Capital One and your credit is good and you don't carry credit card debt, don't waste your time applying. And remember this how they do business when they are pitching you a card. Can you imagine what it's like for their customers?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

These one star reviews are pathetic. “Didn’t give me enough money”, “gave me a hard inquiry”, get a life! Capital One has been good to me and my business for years. Great service for a huge corporation.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

So I am applying for new credit card, and I am getting $500 credit limit. You gotta be kidding me, I have 10+K credit limits with Discover, Chase, others. And these guys do hard inquiry in Equifax and TransUnion in same time - this is lowering my scores right away, so I will have low score for next 2 years basically. My score 800+, but Capital One designed their approval to crash it to lower than 700 in just one card application. I am so mad - I can't express it better than giving them 1 star - AHes! Will cancel my application ASAP, will go to Bank of America, at least they not so harmful to credit scores.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I had a Capital One credit card, made my payments on time every month. One month, due to an emergency, I missed making my usual payment via a check in the mail, so I called Capital One and made a check-by-phone payment so it wouldn't be late. I was doing very well in making on time payments and didn't want to ruin my credit rating.

NEVER again will I make a payment via check-by-phone to this or any other company because as soon as I made my payment over the phone, the person who took my information over the phone went ahead and made ANOTHER payment, only not for the normal monthly payment due. He made a payment for the BALANCE due and drained my checking account which made all other checks written previously to bounce. This incurred horrendous problems for me and ruined my credit score. My bank account (at the time Washington Mutual) was frozen by the bank due to the nature of the FORGERY, which meant no money in, no money out - I wasn't able to receive my monthly direct deposits for three months - and had no way to resolve this matter.

Capital One never sent an apology letter, they were never prosecuted for forgery (Can you imagine what would have happened to US if WE had done something like that?) and continued to bill me for a small amount - under $30 - which I stupidly refused to pay at the time. I couldn't believe they would do this to a disabled person. Had it not been for my family, my rent would have been late for over three months and I would have been evicted from my home. Funny thing is, when I applied for a Capital One credit card recently - just to see what they would say, they wouldn't approve me - said it was because my application appeared "suspicious or FRAUDULENT!" UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Capital One expert review by Beverly Harzog

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.

• Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.

• Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.

• Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.

• Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.

• Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.

• Best for: Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Capital One Company Information