Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Joy to visit this bank. Not sterile and informal. Sign in you will be seen promptly. They even ask if you want fresh coffee. These people understand that good customer service is everything and give their all to any problems or concerns. It doesn't matter how minute it is ie. setting up online account, explaining bank statement, etc. Whether it's a pro or con result from my visits I still feel like I am a VALUED CUSTOMER.

I had a merchant who kept making monthly charges to my Capital One credit card, after I told them to stop because I was no longer a member. I asked Capital One to stop accepting their charges, but they refused to step in to help, and allowed the merchant to keep making these charges to my credit card. At the time I had acquired quite a bit of travel credit, so I am guessing they didn't feel like they need to help me because they had me trapped with the travel credit. If I closed my account I would lose my travel credits. This company is a scam.

When charges appeared on my credit card that were clearly not charged by me, I reported this to Capital One and the charges were removed and the card cancelled. This happened in October 2016. In December 2016 the charges were reapplied to my card! The paperwork stated that the merchants verified that the products were sent. I called Capital One to report that on the paperwork sent to me the three separate charged items went to three different addresses (in other states not mine), had three different email addresses and had different credit card numbers! Yes, the credit card numbers to which these items were charged do not even match my cancelled card number! This has been so frustrating that I am ready to turn it over to an attorney.

I have been with Capital One for at least two years. I have not missed a payment on my card until 2016, my financial situation put me in a bind. My daughter was almost kicked out of her home, and I need to help her. I could not make any of my payment on the regular basis. I put a deposit on this card of 500.00, so I could build my credit rating. When they closed my account they sent me a letter telling me I owe 501.00.

I knew I have that deposit on my account, I contacted the agency that transfer me to the collection and I asked them to please put the money I deposit toward this card and I would only owe one dollar towards my bill. They told me that there is no 500.00 and I owe them the 501.00. I said "How can that be, when I send you a deposit of 500.00 and suddenly I have nothing?" I have asked many times over to please send me the statement of my account to showing me where they put my money. The last time I look at my statement I owe them 750.00, this was from interested charges. I nearly fell over when I heard this. Now they have ruin my credit rating, by put a special code beside the credit bureau. Now I can't get anything because of this special code they put beside my name.

This company is not trying to help people's credit rating. They are there to ruin people's credit rate. I rate the company very low. Don't fall for their advertisement, it is all false.

I'm writing today due to the full disgust with the customer service provided by Capital One bank. I have a business checking account with them and a business credit card. I also have my personal accounts with them. I wanted to merge my business checking account and business credit card together so I can manage these accounts from one login. The representatives that I spoke with kept putting me on hold and transferring me from one department to another until finally one told me that I can merge my account by linking them. I didn't get her name but I told that I did not want to see any of my business accounts on my personal login. She assured me that it would be as I wanted and as soon as I clicked on the tab to merge I lost my old login for my personal accounts and got a login for the business credit card instead. This I was told couldn't be undone because I as the customer initiated the change!!! This is the madness that happens with this bank.

I was finally able to speak with a manager Ron ID# ** and he confirmed to me that I was screwed because I followed the lead of the customer service representative. He did try to get me sorted out by contacting the IT department who then said for security purposes they could not revert my account to what it was prior to the change. Well I got screwed because I followed the instructions of Capital One customer service agent and I got to deal with their ineptitude because I "the customer" initiated the change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

I was traveling in Florida, 900 miles from home. I got one fraud alert a few days ago because I had been making some contributions to charity... and I had just started using my new VPN provider. Cap One called me and we were able to resolve the issue quickly. I told the rep that I was in Florida and working behind a VPN. But two days later another fraud alert after I had made two purchases in two separate stores in Florida. I called again to fix the alert. It took me ONE WHOLE HOUR to fix it because Cap One's staff would only accept the last four of my social sec nor (it is against federal law to use the number for identification), would put me on interminable hold, would not call me back so as to minimize the hold.

Had a "problem" understanding that I use a flip phone and not a smartphone so I could give the rep the pin nor she sent... but wait... the rep then was able to call my cell number after I said I was not near my computer. BUT I tried the chat window today... after I entered my account that is behind Cap One's SSL walls. The rep would not chat with me unless I gave him my social security no.!!! His manager would not either, even though I was able to cut and paste my current balances from my account. The reps are from the Philippines and elsewhere; I believe "two" of the women I talked with yesterday sounded quite similar. It would not surprise me if Cap One has some procedure to split calls based on geographic source (besides the obvious language filters).

I worked in hospital IT for thirty years. It is no big deal to reconcile post office lists and other available sources. Do you think Cap One and others would think?

NO, the credit card fees generate so much money that they can be arrogant... and if a bank or other financially critical entity crashes, well taxpayers everywhere get to pay the bill. I think I will use PayPal or something else after I check reviews. So Cap One... what's in my wallet? What I have got is not far from my wallet... so get your hands out of my pants!!! :-)

I have been a Capital One customer since 2002. I don't use this card because of the extremely low limit. I asked to increase it and they can't until I use if for 5 month straight. Asinine methodology because it's hard to use when your limit is low. Will be closing it and I will use my Amex Platinum. Capital One, big mistake!

My colleague and I went to Poland and rented an apartment three days before we were to go on a tour. The property manager gave us the codes to get in the apartment. All different codes. We were both Flight Attendants so we know about safety! She put an alarm on the door. The second night of our visit the alarm went off at 4:30 am and what did I see when I jumped up but a strange man in our room!!! My colleague scream at him "to get out of here" and he was shocked by the noise of the alarmed and backed out. We immediately called the property manager and she and her husband came over at 5 am to change the locks immediately.

Well when I returned from Europe I called Capital One immediately and told them not to pay the bill. Well after numerous discussions they informed me that I would have to take it up with the apartment complex!!! It seems that the manager suggested that we might have know this man even though both of us are in our late sixties. Why would we call the property manager at 5 am if we knew this jerk! We were in terror and I still have PTSD over this. How you want to wake up to some stranger in your bedroom in a foreign country? Anyway good old Capital One who so called "works of us" doesn't. They were rude, unhelpful and totally irresponsible when it comes to their customers! I am a good customer of theirs but no more! Keep this in mind... they don't support their clients!

All of a sudden my card was closed yesterday without any warning. I've been a loyal customer for 3+ years. Always pay card on time, in full and never even leave any balance on the card. This card has higher limit ($25k) so I use it on everything, shopping, grocery, travel... I never miss payment, never default, use minimal (around $2k/month for living expenses, and more when I travel). And without warning they simply closed it permanently along with another Capital One card that I had but haven't been using. I will never apply for Capital One card again. Not worth the trouble and the embarrassment when your card decline trying to spend $20 at Kroger.

Shame on Capital One!!! Beware customers if you lose your job or have financial hardships within your household!!! I have 3 credit card accounts with them. I fell behind in payments on 2 cards due to my husband being out of work about 8 months and I made payment plans with both accounts. However couldn't make payment on time for one of the credit card plan and they closed the account with NOTHING IN WRITING AND NO PHONE CALL TO DISCUSS THE SITUATION!!! There are people all over the world having financial difficulties Capital One. Be more compassionate with helping your customers. If it wasn't for us you would have no business!!! Very disappointing in all communication from your end!

I am having issues applying for a credit card. I keep getting the reason that I have too many accounts. I called Capital One and had to be transferred three times as no one was able to assist me with my issue. I then learn with the fourth person I spoke to, that the account that I HAD has been cancelled over a year ago. So if I dont even have an account... how can I have too many to apply for a new card???

Just received our November card statement and found two charges of unknown sources. One for $1000 and another a few days later for $6000. I called Capital One to report this and the guy said there was another charge not showing on the statement for $20,000! I have this account preferences set for email alert whenever I use it. If I use it for gas I usually get an email in seconds. My balance is almost always under $1000 but never received a phone call or email alert on these charges. You think that they would have thought something was odd with a $20,000 overseas charge?? They told me the charges were being taken off and the card closed. I don't plan to use one again. They want a cashless society - good luck with that.

After over 10 years with Capital One with an excellent credit rating and never late - our card was terminated. The "reason" was past, present or pending litigation. We have never - not now - and have no pending litigation against us! We were instructed to go to our local courthouse and check with them. Nothing! We are 65 and 67 years old - never been in trouble - my husband is former military with a high security clearance - I think we would have known if we were ever or are currently being sued! We were not allowed to speak to anyone as it was a final decision made by the company attorneys and we were told that they do not make mistakes. Obviously they had us mixed up with someone else! We have since moved on to a much better credit card company but I wanted to warn anyone considering Capital One that you could be inconveniently dropped without warning for a vague unexplained reason.

If you ever have a dispute with a merchant, Capital One will not only not assist you, they will actively mislead and lie to you as to the status and resolution. We were defrauded by a Travel Agency, for over $6,000; the fraud was in writing and clearly evident. Yet, Capital One did not protect its customers and transferred the $6,000 to the merchant despite our timely protest. When push comes to shove, Capital One will screw its own customers.

I phoned in to report 2 disputes. One being a fraudulent charge for an item which was never received. 45 days later I discover that they lost the details on one of the disputes and we start all over again with potentially up to 90 days to resolve!!! Incompetence! Oh and when I first reported the disputes they also spent the first 45 minutes trying to convince me that I'd probably done something wrong on the vendor's website and that it was all my fault. The fact that no item was received was obviously too complicated for them to grasp. Useless. Can't wait for this to be resolved so that I can cancel this card and get it OUT OF MY WALLET.

This company cancelled my credit card I had for over 5 years due to suspected fraud. I used my 2 checking acct make payments and they were verified with the bank. They did the exact same thing to my husband. It's other companies out there and I will not be using this company again. The people are rude and don't know what they are doing.

92 year old widow who does not drive or travel approved for card, received card and cannot get activated because she does not have a license to drive or passport. Contacted by the most rude people who fail to accept the fact that member of the silent generation are too old to drive or travel and that some never have. Capital One gets a major FAIL for her treatment.

I have been a loyal Cap1 customer for many years. Both a credit card and auto-loan customer. Recently I made a payment on my credit card using the Cap1 app on my mobile device. Unfortunately, on accident I selected an old/closed checking account that was saved in the app. I attempted it twice before I realized I was using the old account. Both payments were returned to Cap1 with an error saying that the bank account was closed. Once I realized this, I immediately called to make payment with the correct account only to find out that they closed my card and there was no way to re-open! I was never notified via phone, through the app or by any other means that there was a problem with my payment. I would have immediately taken care of the situation had I been aware. I am very disappointed and will be making it a priority to tell people about this terrible experience!

My credit card was charged $600 on November 28th 2016 without my permission. I called Capital One and complained about this charge on Dec 1 2016 when I saw the charge on my statement. The agent was refusing to reverse the charges and put me on to the fraud department. I spoke with the agent and explained to him that this company does not have my authorization to charge my card. He told me that if I gave the card my credit card to them over the phone they can charge me as many times as they want and whatever amounts they feel like. I told him to cancel my card immediately. He told me that he was canceled my card and issued me new cards. He informed me that the old cards no longer worked.

On December 16th 2016 I called regarding my new card and when I was checking my online statement there was another charge $3,879 by the same company whom did not have my permission to process the first charge. I told the agent to reverse this payment right away as it was just posted. The agent refused and told me that they already authorized the payment. I even spoke with the security department and they claim that if you give your credit card over the phone to any company that company can charge as much as they want whenever they feel like. This policy does not exist with any other credit card company. If this is Capital One's policy then all of their users should be made aware of this huge loophole. They treated me, throughout the entire process, like they were a collection company.

BEWARE!!! Today, 12/15/2016, my Capital One credit card account was cancelled without warning and left me stranded out-of-town without a credit card!!! At first I thought that my card was denied because I forgot to notify them that I was on travel. However, when I called customer service, they told me that my Capital One made a business decision to terminate my account and it is irreversible. I was shocked and asked them why the account was closed as I always paid my bill on time and in full, but they can only vaguely tell me that my spending activities was outside of their expectation for a personal account! Having been a Capital One banking customer for nearly 30 years, needless to say I was angry and will look for another bank as soon as I get back in town.

I was locked out of my account due to too many incorrect passwords so I called the number to unlock it. First off they treat you as a thief trying to break into someone's account instead of a person who is trying to recover and or fix your account. I got asked my phone number at least 7 times. Even though they had it on caller ID as a rep confirmed for me. I was on the phone for over 50 minutes maybe longer, I stopped the rep at some point to say "do you not believe that I am who I say I am trying to access my account? Would you like my social security number to verify." She then asked for my email and my birth date.

I was dumbfounded. I have read some other reviews for Capital One and I 100% agree that they do not care for their customers. I highly suggest that if you are having the same issues you switch to Ally Financial. I have never had one problem let alone a conversation or situation that couldn't be handled in twenty minutes.

I was approved for a top credit with Capital One however I had to send in my prepaid light bill as ID and driver license. After going through all of this they said it was not enough. It was like once they saw I was ** they did everything they could not to activate the card yet they are still sending me preapproved letters every week. So if am not who I say am why are they still sending me offers. Please don't get a Capital One card. The people are rude and they will just keeping asking you for all this information but they are not going to approved you once they see your ID.

I am totally, totally disappointed with this card company. I was blindly mislead and taken for a ride of my life. I had no idea the interest rate would be so high and unreasonable, especially for someone trying to rebuild credit. This company is crude and uncaring about people. I am paying almost double my monthly payment. Nothing they can do about it. (Sorry) they said... Lesson learned... Never again will I trust that companies want to help people. Just their business only... Signed. Disgusted!

I have been a customer with Capital One for many years. On 12/10/16, I submitted my monthly credit card payment using their website for $163.00. I received the confirmation number and documented it in my records. The payment posted to Capital One on 12/11/16. I checked my bank balance on 12/12/16 to find I had a balance of 0.00 in checking! I checked my account to see which transactions had cleared, only to see that Capital One had debited my account for $5,980.03 instead of the $163.00 I authorized!

I called Capital One and spoke with the first representative who told me I need to speak with her supervisor, whose name is Keith to have the payment reversed. In speaking with Keith, he told me the payment could be reversed, but they would need to confirm the payment had indeed cleared and it would take 5 business before my funds would be returned then however longer my bank would require to make the funds available.

I was in shock! How in the world can it take 5 days to process a refund for a problem I did not cause, but it only took Capital One, 1 day to debit my account for the funds! Since it was almost midnight, there was nothing they could do so I had to call back once my bank opened. I called Capital One back then as soon as my bank opened, the day supervisor, whose name is Will, did a conference call with my bank and confirmed the transaction had indeed cleared. Will proceeded to tell me the payment could be refunded, but it would take 5 days and I told him as I told Keith, this is unacceptable. Will told me he could request the refund be expedited so the funds would be available in 2-3 business days! This is still unacceptable! I don't understand why my account to be debited in 1 day, but the funds can't be transferred back in 1 day.

We continued to go back and forth, I finally asked to speak with his supervisor as he was not being helpful as far as I was concerned. Will told me his supervisor is only an administrator who does not speak with customers! This is one of the biggest lies I've ever heard. I continued to ask for the name of a supervisory position higher than him and he continued to tell me there was no one else as he was the highest supervisor I could speak with. I then asked if Capital One was going to pay the overdraft fees caused by their error, he said they had no way to reimburse those funds? I literally couldn't believe what I was hearing!!! I asked him did he realized how illogical and nonsensical this information sounded!

According to my bank, even though I have overdraft protection which pulls funds from my savings account, there's a $35.00 fee for each transaction (I'll be dealing with this issue as well, ridiculous)! I've been searching for a name or names of people in leadership who can appropriately address this issue. After the funds are returned to my account, I am closing any credit card account associated with Capital One! They are absolutely the worse!

I finally had to destroy this card after over 10 years being a member of Capital One. It is impossible to travel internationally with it. Capital One set me a card with a chip embedded in it, telling me that no travel alerts need to be made. Last year, I had the same trouble, so I set a travel date anyway, just in case. That didn't work either. I made a purchase for a ticket back to the USA, it was declined, for no reason. China Air is not a small company, yet it was declined, I was stuck at the airport for a day because of Capital One. It has happened before several times. I called the phone number on the back of the card. It's almost impossible to make a collect call in China, so I made a toll call to their fraud department to clear this up. But, I couldn't, I had to listen to their recording for at least 10 minutes, each time, for hours. They said it was a direct number, another lie.

In the middle of waiting, they hung up on me. I went to "chat" with them again and told them that I got through, they wanted a 7 digit number to connect, I wasn't given one. When I went to chat again, they said they didn't know about a 7 digit number. They couldn't correct the error by chat, only by direct phone, which doesn't work out of the USA. So many apologies, but no action. A friend came to the airport from another city in China to help me, all because of Capital One. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE!!!

I am hiring an attorney to sue them for all the trouble they caused on this trip. I should have dropped them the first time they did this to me. They assured me that it wouldn't happen again, but it happens EVERY time. Now, I had the good sense to destroy the card and let this account "retire" into oblivion. After this lesson, I will bring cash when I travel, lots of it so I don't have to go through this again with another credit card company, hopefully they will not be totally incompetent like Capital One.

I got approved for a Capital One card. When I tried to activate the card it said fraudulent activity suspected on the card. How's that possible when my card was never activated. I FAX them my social security number, driver license, proof of address. They still didn't remove the false hold on my card... I'm tell you people don't get this card. Just because this happen to you, that doesn't mean it won't. This is uncalled for. Orchard Bank needs to get their money back from Capital One. I hate they sold out to them.

I had a credit card open and current for over ten years. I paid the card off and forgot about it. The card represented my oldest credit history. Because I hadn't used the card in 18 months they closed the card. No phone call, no letter of notification, nothing. I'm in the process of qualifying for a home loan. Closing my longest standing card dropped my score significantly.

I called customer service, spent over an hour speaking with supervisors. The best they could do was offer to let me open a new account. Which would hurt my credit even more by absorbing another credit hard inquiry and helping me none at all as far as credit history goes. I don't need another new card, I need my 13 year credit history back. I realize I need to keep track of my cards and use them but a simple phone call or email or letter would have been nice prior to closing my account. Not good.

I called Capital One to see if I could get a $39.00 Annual Fee waived. An associate informed me last year that due to my excellent payment history (Never Late and always paid in full) and the length of time that I have been a customer (11 years) that I should be able to get it waived going forward but that they didn't have a card for me that didn't have an Annual Fee. I called and I was told that they couldn't waive the fee, that even though I have a great credit score and excellent payment history and have been with them 11 years the fee would still apply. Capital One is the only card I have with a fee and the lowest credit line but I kept them because I had them for a long time. I asked to close the account and they were quick to close it. They truly DO NOT care about their customers. I will never open another Capital One credit card again and I certainly would NOT recommend them to anyone.

Got a Capital One Credit Card to use only for one recurring item. After reading about the different accounts Capital One offers, I decided to open a savings account (September 22) and checking (November 17) - to put some cash into periodically to facilitate making payments on the credit card. I received checks in the mail. I received a debit card in the mail. On November 28, I received an email stating that my account was closed and funds would go to the account I had automatic funds transferred from. After speaking to an agent on the phone, she said it was closed because I had not responded to a 'verification letter' mailed to me dated November 21. I never received it. Shredded the checks and debit card because the account could not be reinstated once closed.

Account closed November 28 - agent told me the letter said I had 10 days. Spoke with her manager, then to the next manager who could not (or would not?) give me copies of the statements 'because the billing cycle needs to end before a statement can be generated.' Received a letter in the mail dated November 28, 2016 - postmarked - December 2, 2016 stating I needed to verify information or my accounts would be closed 10 days from the date of this letter. I tried to get a copy of the letter from November 21 that all reps were swearing was sent. If it's the same letter as the one dated today saying I had 10 days to respond or accounts would be closed, then why was the account closed after 7 days after the initial letter was sent? Mix up? Maybe. More like incompetence. Not worth the aggravation of dealing with customer service.

I think it's been almost 3 or 4 months since I opened and used my Capital One 360 checking account. My personal information especially my SSN that I gave them was true. My SSN I got it from my lawyer who was fixing my papers when my first employer filed a petition for me. But the only problem is I haven't tried to use it whenever I worked. Anyway, I know if ever your information can't verify or didn't match, whatever you're applying especially opening a bank account or applying credit card; they won't approve it. But they approved my checking and savings account. November 28, 2016 my friend decided to have a joint account. They approved the joint account and that same day my friend deposited her check $2828 on her tablet.

Since $5000 is the max deposit for the day. She asked me to deposit her other check, I did. Then next day I just saw on my account when I checked online, there was a note saying that I need to call them. They put hold on our account. I called and they told me that they can't verify my SSN. I told them that why only now. I've been using this account for the past 3 months. They asked to get W9. I told them if ever I'll have problem on getting W9, what's going to happen? They just said that get W9 and fax it to them. My friend called them also and they asked her more than 10 questions past addresses, cross street and she said that the only question that she can't remember was the year when her SSN was issued. She said she'll get her SSN card just to be sure. Every info about her was true.

Then they said that unfortunately she wasn't able to pass. Usually they're going to ask for proof of identity driver's license, SSN card to fax it to them. But with them just close the account and they can't even give us the balance that was on our account. We called again, they gave us another option so we could get the money. They told us to call the issuer of the check for stop payment. And they even said that whatever balance that was on the account it will go back to the check issuer and whatever amount that we got we have to be responsible for that. But when we called the issuer and asked them for stop payment, the first check that was deposited was already paid and even the 2nd one.

Then now we tried to call Capital One, those guys or customer service that we talked to they're rude, don't have good manners. We just asked them what's going to the rest of my friend's money. They said that we can't get anything because everything was fraud. And they said that they don't have business with us anymore and just hang up. My friend's info are real and the checks that we deposited was under her name so why can't she get the rest of her money.

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.
  • Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.
  • Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.
  • Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.
  • Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.
  • Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.
  • Best for Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Compare Credit Cards