Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.80/5
Based on 1,835 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Top Capital One Reviews

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just announce[d] a breach, which really sucks, but for now, I am staying put with them.

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should close the account, no closing or hidden fees.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $1k in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

Capital One Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I have been a Credit Card Customer of Capital One for quite some time and Truthfully I have the Best Credit Card In The World! No foreign transaction fees. A great credit limit. 1.5% cashback. What more can I ask for in a credit card? Today being Wednesday, October 2, 2019, I received Outstanding Service from Marie (Employee #**). She went out of her way to listen to my needs and find a resolution and I am Not sure what I would have done if it were Not for her. I personally want to Thank Marie for providing ME with Top Class, First Rated Customer Service.

Sincerely yours,
Howard Paul
Executive, Volunteer Writer For Google And Tripadvisor Websites

Capital One Credit Card Customer

/HPS

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have been a C1 credit card holder for about 10 years. I have only positive things to say. When they detected a fraud about twice in the past decade or so, they immediately called and lately also send emails. I get on the horn and they correct it, immediately send out a new card, etc. Spotless. Every time I talked to a representative, they were pretty good and seem to be knowledgeable and helpful.

The only small gripe I have is about their phone verification. About 5 months ago I opened a 360 checking and savings with them. Spot on. Worked flawless. It took about a week to have the initial funds transferred from my external bank. I have direct deposit with them which worked flawless so far. However, after 4 months of using Zelle to make transfers, all of a sudden they wanted to verify my phone number. I've been with them for nearly a decade (credit cards) so they have everything on file. Since I have a pay-as-you-go mobile plan, I never give out my number, but what the heck. No big deal. Apparently they cannot verify pay-as-you-go or prepaid mobile plans. Since these phone plans do not require neither an SSN nor a driver's license, apparently there is no record that the phone number is tied to your name, hence they are unable to verify it.

I've pointed out that this is my first mobile number, and I have this number of 8 years. Never had another one, never used another SIM card. In vain. Apparently they can only verify postpaid phone plans. Of course the cheapest phone plan on a postpaid plan is 60 bucks (as opposed to $3). I have no way of justifying shelling out that much money a month just so a bank can verify my ownership of the phone number. As a result, my Zelle transfers were halted and had to go "around" by transferring the money back to my external account (which I kept open), and from that account I am able to make transfers. Also, I cannot add joint account holder to the checking account due to failed phone verification.

Now, get this. They can manually set up a joint account over the phone, if both parties are present at the same time, but they can only do this for savings account. To add a joint account holder to your checking account, you need at least a $60/month phone plan so they can verify your ownership of the phone number. In other words, if you have a six-figure savings account, they can add joint account holders to it no problem, but if you have a checking account with $200 monthly balance then forget it. Is this messed up or what!? Other than the ridiculous issue with unable to verify prepaid phone numbers, I have no gripe with them. Oh, also, I was able to call in and they helped me fix the Zelle issue. So that should be good to go again - we shall see this next month when I will do my regular transfer.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I banked with WF for years, simply because that was the bank that my parents used and my very first account. Two years ago, I lost my job and started looking for ways to save money. That's when I discovered Capital One and decided to open a Money Market account with them, since a friend referred me and explained that I would get a $100 credit by signing up with her code, in addition to a 2% interest rate. I decided to try it and obtained $180 after the first 30 days of opening the account; $80 as interest, and $100 from my friend's referral code. I can't believe that I had spent so many years banking with institutions that only offered %0.01 for my money!

While doing my research, I also saw that other banks advertise a 2% interest rate but when I clicked to find out more information, it was only offered on CD accounts, which means that I would have not been able to touch my money for 9 or 12 months. With Capital One's Money Market, that's not an issue. I can receive a high interest rate while also being able to access that money any time, without paying any penalties. Capital One 360 has helped me obtain more for my money and keep better track of my credit score through its "creditwise" reports. Once I got hired and started working full-time again, I also decided to start using Capital One credit cards. I started with the Quicksilver, and now I have the Savor card. I love how easy it is to pay or transfer money both through my computer and the phone app. I loved Quicksilver because it felt like a very honest card, you get 1.5% cash back on ALL your purchases, period.

I didn't have to try to figure out if I was only getting 1% on gas, but 2% on entertainment, or try to figure out which purchase would classify for cash back. I now have the Savor card because I do spend a significant amount of money eating out and on entertainment, and the 4% cash back adds up fairly quickly. I genuinely feel that Capital One 360 has helped me improve my financial life and I prefer this bank over any of the other banks that I have used: higher interest, better and quicker customer service, and easy to use phone app.

My only suggestion would be that I wish Capital One offered mortgage options, that way I wouldn't have to look for mortgage lenders through another bank. I highly recommend Capital One and think that you will find the right account and card for your needs. Here's my referral code, in case you decided to try it. I receive $20 for referring you, and you receive $100 for opening a new 360 account (360 Checking, 360 Savings or 360 Money Market), with an initial deposit of $250. Enjoy! https://capital.one/2Xrh0Wx

Original review: June 2, 2019

I just want to acknowledge Capital One for the customer service I always receive. They value even the little people and the interest rate I pay 24% or something like that doesn’t even bother me because It is a small price to pay for great care. They always fix any issue — fast on unauthorized charges even crediting your account before determining your disputes validity.

I was late 2 times in the past 6 months due to a broken phone and a move and when I called to see if I could reverse the late fee they did so with no hesitation! My limits are 500 and 1000 so that they care for me as a mediocre customer speaks loudly to their integrity and shows they value All customers... which after being treated unfairly by Walmart credit after never making late payments and getting a credit reduction really made me appreciate them. Not to mention when you say you want an agent on the automated system it just says ok not asking why until you are blue in the face.. 10 stars Cap One.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I spoke to a gentleman I believe his name was Kerry? Or Terry? Point is he was absolutely amazing. I was helped as soon as I found out someone else was using my card. Even though it was 11:30 at night! I have never on the phone had someone as helpful professional, and just plain awesome at handling a stressful situation for a customer. He reminded me multiple times that everything will be alright and that Capital One will take care of everything. His kind words and EXTREMELY professional demeanor were refreshing and amazing to see. He definitely deserves this review, and represented his company so well that I have a completely new view and will be keeping my card for a very long time. A++++++++ service! Thank you!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I have been a loyal Capital One credit card holder for nearly 30 years. Recently there have been changes to security that make this a very bad card to use when traveling. Recently I was in Australia and needed to purchase airline tickets. When I went to pay I was transferred to a Capital one site that tried to verify my purchase by sending a code to my USA mobile phone number which when traveling is impossible for me to receive outside of the USA. I phoned customer service and was told 1. They can do nothing to stop this "automatic" process, and 2. it isn't possible to add a foreign telephone number or to use an email address for such a purpose. End of story! Too bad!!

The only way I found around this issue was to use Paypal where the card was registered. The card was accepted through Paypal, but unfortunately this isn't always an option. Bottom line, there are more user friendly cards on the market. Capital One really needs to upgrade their policies to reflect the real world needs of customers. This experience was not the first time I've run into this issue when outside the USA. It is incredibly annoying.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I am in Europe on vacation, trying to buy air tickets through Air France and my card is denied/blocked. There is no email asking me if the charge is valid. I call and go through the normal authentication and then they want to text me a six digit code to my phone on record to make sure it's me. I don't have my US phone with me, when in Europe I use a local mobile phone. However, the CapitalOne system does not allow me to enter a foreign phone number into my profile so there is no way for me to get this six digit phone. I tell them to send me the code through my email like my online account does. No, they can't do that either and we are done.

So here I am in Europe half way through my vacation, a card that's blocked and the "Help Desk" can't help me. I call again, explain the situation and now they tell me I have to email them a picture of my driver's license. I do that and give them my European phone number to get in touch. They call my US phone, my daughter answers but they can't give her any information because it is not me. I call again, explain again and they tell me that it is going to take 7 to 14 days to verify the documents that I sent. I explain again that I am in Europe with a card that doesn't work can we do anything sooner. Nope, 7 to 14 days is the answer.

I am out of my mind at this point, this is a card I use all over the world, charge 60 to 80 thousand dollar per year and I can't talk to them. I wait five days and call again, explain my problem, the girl tells me that she sees my driver license but it will take 7 to 14 days blah, blah, but she is very sorry. I ask for a manager. I get Patrick, explain everything again and he puts me on hold to verify my documents. After an eternity on hold, he comes back and finally he can talk to me. He tells me that he has no idea why my card was denied and can't explain why I didn't get an email to confirm that it was a valid transaction from my side. And the good news is that I can use my card again.

I ask Patrick what's going to happen when I call again in a few days to say that my cards was stolen, my card is denied, or for any other problem with my cards. You are not going to believe what he tells me: "Oh, we'll send you a six digit code to your phone on record to verify it is you". Bottom line: the card is great, the benefits are great but the support system sucks. The agents are robots reading from a script and are not allowed to use their brains. The verification system is inflexible and the system has absolutely no possibility to help a customer in a tough situation. As soon as I get home I will look into and alternative card for my travels.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I just received a bill for $ 14.98 from Capital One. I have been a loyal customer for years, always on time and always more than minimum. I paid my last statement in full, $ 1,100. Then, I get a bill for $ 14.98 (interest)??? Why? I paid my last bill --- all of it, ON TIME. No interest charges listed on that bill. I called to get this waived. I was told, "sorry". I asked to speak to a supervisor, again, "sorry". Willing to give up a loyal customer over $ 15? When I posed that question to the Capital one supervisor, her answer was "sorry you feel that way". Seriously? Then I posed it to the CEO: Are you willing to lose a loyal customer over $ 15? right...you only make billions per year.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I had this card for about 18 months. They raised the CL twice to $3500. My balance was about $2000 and I was making $200 - $300 monthly payments. Never missed one. Never late. Last month they asked for income verification. I complied: had been no changes. Last week they emailed me saying the account had been "opened in error" and was now closed. I was pretty steamed and gave customer "service" a piece of my mind. Today I looked at the account and they have cancelled the entire balance. It's 0 and shows a "balance adjustment" of.... $2200. Are these folks crazy? Close an account in perfect standing and then cancel the balance???? Obviously this is much better for me than a closed account with a $2200 balance left for me to pay off. But what was their reasoning? I haven't a clue.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I received a message my new card replacement was being charged for Microsoft account Xbox account. I called Capital One supervisor (Ann). Asked why my new card received billing when I never added to my Microsoft account? She stated Capital One does this automatically with companies they have an agreement with and the only assistance she could give was to 3 way call Microsoft and have my account closed!? I don't want my Microsoft account closed. I want Capital One to not give access to my accounts to companies without my approval! I think this is wrong. I don't need Capital One to manage my accounts!!!!

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
    Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
    What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
    There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
    How do you find your Capital One account number?
    You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
    Does Capital One have a mobile app?
    Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
    Where are Capital One branch locations?
    Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One pros and cons

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
    • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
    • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
    • Opt-in overdraft charges

Capital One Company Information