Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.6/5 (1843 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Top Capital One Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just...

Verified

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should cl...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: April 2, 2021

This bank is just bomb. I love them SOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!! They've been with me for years. This bank ALWAYS has my back. ALWAYS. It's a ride or die bank. The only complaint I have is that they outsource their customer service to countries with thick accents who are near impossible to understand. If 98% of your clients speak English and you must outsource, why not outsource to countries who have cultural and language competence in the country you primarily serve? Like Canada, Japan, Mexico City (not other areas though), and Jamaica. These are all really good countries to outsource to. NOT India, Pakistan, Columbia, Nigeria, or Central America.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I was very pleased with the availability of this card and how quickly it was approved. I found the process of getting it to be a little tedious. It was approved online, then I had to wait to get a letter through registered mail where I had to go to the post office and provide identification. After that I received the card and again had to wait for the pin to come in the mail. Finally I was able to activate it. Then I had to pay $59/annual fee! I understand the importance of keeping a step ahead of the thieves, but it took a really long time between the approval and the ability to use it! I think the fee is pretty high considering the lack of benefits, but it is a reestablishing credit type card, so I’m grateful for the opportunity.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

This has been a good credit card for years. Rewards have been consistent and when I needed to change their rewards card from travel to cash there was absolutely no pushback. However there was a fraudulent charge and they notified me and got me a replacement card quickly. However, shortly thereafter I tried to charge a large purchase and not only was it denied but all of my charges ended up getting denied, the card restricted until they did their investigation. Had to switch all of my recurring charges to a different credit company. What a pain in the butt. The only problem I ever had with them..

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Capital One seemed to be a good option to rebuild credit. However they always start you with a very low credit limit and the fees lower that even more. When it’s time to increase credit limits other companies are more generous with that increase and provide options many times over the year to increase. I don’t mind capital one as a company and their app is good quality but I feel they are very stingy with credit increases. Even when pre approval of other loans in their company. Been with them over a year and have a measly 500 limit while my other cards are well over 1k each.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I use the Quicksilver one and I get 1.5% cash back on ALL my purchases - so no having to remember different promotional periods. Since I get cash back on all purchases, I get cash back on things I pay for routinely such as regular bills. I use this card over my debit card so that I can get the most cash back possible on my every purchases. It's nice because I use this as my extra savings and use my cash back to apply towards my holiday shopping at the end of the year since there are no limits to what I can earn! In addition, the no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee is a bonus.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I made a overpayment before I closed my account and never received it. Even with excellent credit their rates are extremely high. Also whenever they raise your limit they raise your interest even if you did not ask for a higher limit.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

It has been nearly a week and Capital One has failed to resolve an issue with their software. I paid off my credit card with them and received no credit for my payment. I’ve been given the runaround on the phone. I found out when I received an email saying my account is delinquent! I’ve talked to 3 people and sent in proof that my payment posted to my bank account. Terrible service. I’m so disappointed that I may need a lawyer to sort this out.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Their computer system generates just about everything for them and it is very difficult to be treated like a human. Their customer service department is merely a bunch of zombies reading from a script therefore is almost impossible to have a real discussion. I've had this card for two years and never had a late payment. I paid this months after 8 pm ON THE DUE DATE online, which apparently didn't doesn't through until the next morning. I received a late fee. I called customer service and even talked to a supervisor. Neither one could or would, waive the fee. They do not humanize any situation or help rectify a situation, you are just merely just a number. I closed my card as did my husband. What a joke of a company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

To process a bill payment online must choose date to mail so it will be received by due date. Funds are withdrawn from account date sent not due date received. Should be withdrawn on actual date cashed. Also date to be received is late.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Have been a customer for a long time but they lost my business when my credit card number was stolen by a merchant and was used fraudulently. Capital One told me it would take a week for them to send me a new card to my apt. They would not overnight it to be on the safe side instead of sending through regular mail and I told them mail gets lost in these apts. They told me I could pay them $16 and they would send it in 2 to 3 days and I told them that's stupid. I shouldn't have to pay for my card to get here safely after it the number was stolen. Will be closing my account. BTW my credit score is 780 so I have great credit

Capital One Company Information