1.22/5
Based on 378 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Last updated: May 27, 2018

4082 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 27, 2018

I know this is going to look like a book but this is a lengthy story. I am an eBay seller. Recently I received an email from Paypal stating someone has filed an "unauthorized charge" on their account. The amount was for $480.00. I had been talking with the customer during the time period he purchased and he seemed to be very happy with the item he bought. We even chatted back and forth several times before and after the transaction took place. I can't really blame this on PayPal because it's Capital One's fault. They illegally instigated this entire thing. When I got this email I was kind of bewildered and after talking with PayPal, even more disconcerted. Pay told me that "The customer had filed a charge back stating they had not AUTHORIZED the charge:" And then they stated, "Sometimes the customer doesn't know that the DISPUTE HAD BEEN FILED"... Meaning that they randomly do this of their own free will.

So, I contacted the seller and told him all about how I had the tracking number, it showed delivered and that I had gotten the dispute and he immediately emailed me back stating, "I did not file a dispute with PayPal or my credit card company I don't know what's going on". He then contacted CAPITAL ONE and they told him that, "They thought that some of his charges were fraudulent on that day and their system had flagged the charge of its own accord" basically. Meaning, CAPITAL FILED A DISPUTE WITH PAYPAL ON A LEGITIMATE PURCHASE AGAINST ME WITHOUT THEIR CUSTOMER'S KNOWLEDGE.

When It happened, I emailed him back and asked him was it Capital One, and he told me it was... I asked him, "How do you think I know"? He stated, "Sounds like you've had problems with them before." Believe me, Capital One has MAJOR ISSUES going on right now with billing and flagging and all these other things causing their customers and enormous and retailers a lot of financial and problem credit damage.

This is the second time I've written a review of Capital One because of all sorts or problems and I'm not even their customer any longer. Right now, Capital One STILL HAS MY MONEY TIED UP... Because of Capital One's actions, PayPal has basically locked my account down for this $480.00 illegally filed dispute and I can't even sell on eBay because of it.

Lastly, I asked the customer "If CAPITAL ONE didn't tell you that they filed a dispute on your behalf, how would you have ever known it happened had I not contacted you directly?" Meaning... had Capital One gotten away with filing this illegal dispute without their customer's knowledge and they had won, CAPITAL ONE would have my money. Since the customer didn't even know they did it, how do we know that Capital One isn't doing this and stealing people's money RANDOMLY "ROBO FLAGGING" AUTHORIZED PURCHASES WITHOUT CONSUMER'S KNOWLEDGE. There's no guarantee that just because they are a financial institution that we don't know that they aren't doing this intentionally.

In the mean time, Capital One has stolen $480.00 of my money supposedly on the behalf of one of their customers, in the process got my PAYPAL and EBAY STORE locked down because of it, and are causing me financial distress and I'm not even their customer anymore. Because of things like this I've already been through with them. I closed out all of my accounts for this very reason... TOO MANY HEADACHES and too many unknowns. My money and accounts are in limbo INDEFINITELY until Capital One makes this right with Paypal.

Mind you, I had to put all sales on eBay on hold because of my account being locked up with this negative balance until it's resolved and PAYPAL advised me to not use the account and stop selling until it's resolved. It's been locked up for several days and as of now, I have no recourse but wait on Capital One to make things right. PayPal says it can take up to 75 days. I had a positive balance until this happened. Now that they've done this, I cannot conduct business and this business was set up to generate money for my in home animal rescue efforts. Every penny we make from this goes in some way to fund the feeding, homing, and medical care for these animals.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I submitted an application to Capital One for a balance transfer in the amount of $9000 to pay off another credit card. This request was approved by Capital One and the balance transfer was said to be completed on April 28, 2018 and my account was debited. The payment was to be received by the other credit card company by May 24, 2018 or I would be charged accrued interest (This was a 0% promotional interest rate for 12 months. If not paid by the deadline a 30% interest rate would be applied, which amounted to approximately $8000). On May 26, 2018, 2 days after my payment deadline I received a letter from Capital One stating that the payment had not gone through because the check was returned.

I called the customer service number immediately and eventually got through to a manager after being bounced around on the phone for 15 minutes. I explained the situation to the manager but all he could offer was that the check was returned. He verified the transfer account number that I provided on the application but the mailing address they had on file was completely different than the one I had provided on my balance transfer application. I asked him to bring up my original application but he either did not know how to do so or just did not want to be bothered. I explained to him that this mistake was on their end as my monthly payments to the credit card company in question went through just fine to the address I had provided them.

This is when he went into Corporate-robot mode and proceeded to tell me it would take 4 business days to process as stop payment order and if approved... blah blah blah... another 15 business days to process a new check. And basically there was ‘nothing’ he could do to help me out. Hey Capital One, this screw up is going to cost me $8,000 because you dragged your feet in notifying me of the mailing address issue. I have been a loyal customer for over 15 years, but no longer. I am done with Capital One!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2018

First time in decades that we did not receive paper bill, so missed payment. As soon as it was discovered, we paid in full and asked for interest forgiveness which was granted. Received more interest on next bill even though bill was paid on time according to paper bill received. Spoke with JoLisa who was VERY rude. Said that due date was changed for next bill although we did not receive notification. She said that there was nothing she could do to help. When asked to speak with someone else, she said that there was no on else to speak to.

She spoke over me numerous times when I tried to explain to her that we had no idea that the next bill was due earlier. JoLisa just kept repeating that she couldn't help me and that there was no one else for me to speak to. We have been EXCELLENT customers for decades and to be rudely dismissed by JoLisa was deplorable. Capital One does not care if good customers leave, because they do not make money on good customers. Good Bye, Capital One.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I do not appreciate the sound 'mmmmm' coming through the phone cutting me off every time she asked me a question. I had the worst customer service experience with these people. They are rude and do not care at all about their customers. Do not bother with Capital One. NOT WORTH IT.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have spent many years on the internet reading reviews by people whom say they have done business with others, and were treated falsely. While a minority of those internet postings preclude other important factors. Some are honest. Years ago I had a Capital One account, and for unforeseen reasons I defaulted on amounts I owed. Enough years went by that eventually all of the credit reporting agencies purged every record of all of my accounts Which included finance companies, loans, major credit cards, closed store cards, and gas cards. I decided to apply for a Capital One credit card, expecting to be declined, considering I have no accounts showing.

I was approved to my surprise for an unsecured account. They read something in my application in which extended trust to me for credit. And for that I am grateful, so much so that if I had to, I would pick up cans on the side of the road (do anyhow for a free public service) to make sure they are paid for my purchases. While I do not doubt that circumstances have arisen that comments in general are most likely a minority, a small percentage is truthful. While most are leaving out the entire truths.

As a past business owner I know how things work, one satisfied customer will tell two or three people about their satisfaction, while one unsatisfied customer will tell 100 or more. The intent of this post isn't to discount honesty, just reality, that things aren't always black and white. Maybe people are to be better served considering the notion there are God winks all around, pay close attention.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been a Capital One customer for about 15 years. Never was late with a payment, never posted any complaints. My interest rate was in the 6% range for years. Then they raised in to 12% in one jump with no explanation. The next raise went to 16% and when I called to ask why I was told and I quote: "Because we can." I called today to ask for a realistic rate and was told there was nothing available. The rep went into a spiel about regulations and current economy... Didn't take me too long to shut that down. When I told her to close the account she said, "Sure, no problem," like my business over the last 15 years didn't matter. And you know what? It really didn't... these people are greedy and nasty. Loyalty meany nothing. Stay away from Capital One. By the way, Capital One: I have another card at 6% and they're great!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I paid the card balance and was still charged $17.11 in interest. I called and spoke with a supervisor and the response I got "Unfortunately, I can see your intention was to pay the card off, however, the interest was incurred and there's nothing we can do". REALLY, I've never had any late charges or overdrawn the account and Capital One is not willing to write off $17. I will never use their services again!! What's in my wallet - NOT Capital One...

Original review: May 23, 2018

My claim against Special Ops Moving Service was denied without any correspondence from Capital One. Alexis was the processor. She failed to investigate the claim to ensure that it was valid. She basically just went through the process without using critical thinking. She lied in her notes stating that she contacted me by phone and didn't receive a response. She decided that the contract agreement Special Ops Moving Service sent was valid. I spoke to her and based on our conversation, it was determined that she didn't read the contract agreement thoroughly, never mailed out a claim form, never research to make sure that the address on file was correct, and never asked for supporting documents to assist her in her decision. I will be looking for another bank and will be leaving Capital One. It's clear that they aren't going to support their customers.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have two business which both use American Express credit cards. Not thrilled with the rewards and the fees, I switched one business over to a Capital One Spark card last year. The card has been great and the rewards are much better. That being said, I decided to replace my American Express cards for my other business with Spark cards. Here's where the problems began. I couldn't activate my new cards once I received them. I was told that I had to call the Fraud Dept because my identity might have been stolen (BS). I called and got the immediate run around. I was put on hold and transferred to four different people who each read me a boiler plate statement.

After answering numerous personal questions I was told that this was not good enough. I was told to go to my bank and have them call the Fraud Dept to verify my identity. I went to my bank and they were confused. They actually told me to make sure that this wasn't a scam because they never heard of such nonsense. I called back, got the same run around, answered the same personal questions and was then asked to send a copy of my driver's license to verify my identity. Once they received it they were going to call me back with an update.

Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I decided to give this one more try. Unfortunately I got the same treatment today. For some reason despite answering all of the personal questions correctly, giving them a copy of my driver's license, telling them my social security number, etc... I still can't activate my credit card. I am at a complete loss at this point. Never in my life have I dealt with such ignorance and incompetence like this. I wish that customer support was able to help, but unfortunately they all read from the same template. I'm sure that someone in this company cares that I am now canceling both of my accounts, but I guess that I'll never get to speak to him/her.

Original review: May 17, 2018

This company takes a chance on consumers. Even after having financial issues involving this company, they took a chance on me. I have 3 credit cards through Capital One as well as an auto loan with a very decent interest rate. I waited a long time and slowly brought up my credit score to ask for an auto loan. I walked into dealership, and I told them I had financing. They encouraged me to look at other sources, then told me they could not help me. I brought out my Capital One pre-approval, and my financing went through in minutes on my brand new vehicle. The interest was .44 more than quoted, but I had no complaints.

Prior to my financial issues, I had excellent credit, yet it would take hours buying a vehicle. I am getting ready to trade in my vehicle, and I checked for pre-approval... Once again Capital One sent me pre-approval documents. When I had excellent credit, I purchased vehicles with interest rates of 6. 0 percent. After a huge decline in my credit rating, Capital One financed my vehicle at 6.54 percent. I make my payments on time, and I am working hard to improve my credit rating. Without a company willing to take a chance on individuals, my credit rating would not be where it is today. Thank you Capital One.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I deposited a check, the teller said 100 was available and my funds would be available the next day. So of course it was not. Ok then. So I go into the branch and the banker had to call the phone banking and I was transferred to a security dept. Now I’m already frustrated, this rep is busy laughing and have convo with her coworkers... nothing was explained. So I called myself and the next rep said the whole check will be held till the five business days is up. Ok. Now why does the balance keep going down... if the check is on freeze. My balance with this bank always goes from low to highs and I don’t understand this. 'Cause I closely monitor my spending and funds. The bankers rely on phone support 'cause they don’t what they are doing. And phone support sounds like they make up as they go along. Worst bank ever!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I had to make a second request to Capital One for a new credit card. The first time, even though I did give them a new address, it wasn't updated within the system. This is why I have another credit card for instances like this anyways. In this latest request, I received nothing but the utmost professionalism and assistance from Rochelle when calling into a live representative. The spin off of Signet Bank was one of the first adopters of utilizing data science, so I know that they would probably benefit more from giving discounts for customer retention over trying to pull in a new customer to take my space, so I asked if she was able to assist in reducing the fee for the late payment I accrued as I was absent minded and forgot about the card that I wasn't using for two months.

She not only waived the fee, but assisted in reducing some interest charges I have racked up as well for the inconvenience of some other associate over there forgetting to change the address. You can either be angry at the current situation you have, or find a solution to it. Capital One doesn't deserve 1 star solely because only angry people leave reviews, and although they may not be a completely perfect company, as I did end up with fraudulent charges on my account which they dealt with swiftly and with ease, they definitely are a reasonable company to work with if you aren't a complete fool to them on the phone. As is the case in any customer service based business, the company is providing a service to you so you should be just as grateful to have the resources they provide as they should be to having you as a customer.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have had several different accounts with Capital One since 2008 and have always keep them in good standing. In March I found out that my information was leaked due to the Equifax breach and I was one of the 5% that were immediately affected. During this process I found out that I had some fraudulent charges showing up on my bank accounts in the form of ACH bank drafts. In return my bank suspended any bank drafts until we knew everything was taken care of. I had 2 payments scheduled and they were both returned due to the freeze on drafts, which the bank had initially said they would allow but long story short they didn’t. No big issue in my mind, I will just schedule a debit card payment.

However, I made immediate payments with my debit card to ensure nothing would happen and everything was in good standing. After doing this I went to use my card for fuel and it was declined. After research I found out that my CC account had been closed without any notification. Basically after talking with Capital One's fraud department I was told it wasn’t their problem and there was nothing they could do. Since then I have closed all accounts with them, as well as my father, and two other very well businesses because I was treated this way. I know it’s a small fish in the pond but if they continue this route no one will want to do business with them. I have never been treated so hatefully by someone in my life that I did business with, not to mention how degrading they are to you on the phone. They act like you are some sort of an idiot and they are just all a bunch of geniuses.

Now I have everything with Discover and they have been excellent and offer the best customer service I could ask for. Not to mention for once I actually feel like I big time credit company is looking out for me and not just themselves. With all the protection they offer, alerts, the great cash back rewards, I couldn’t be happier! So to those of you getting your first credit card or just looking to get a card, I suggest let Capital One be your last choice! That is unless you enjoy being talking to like a 2nd class citizen or are a glutton for punishment. I learned my lesson with them. I hope this really helps someone out there no matter what color you collar is!

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have to agree with everything that I have read about Capital One. It's really nearly impossible to deal with these people. I filed a dispute over an eBay purchase where I got ripped off and Capital One makes the process so long and drawn out that it's impossible to get anything done. You have an eBay sellers selling illegal seeds and according to eBay's own policy, these people are not following the guidelines NOR state and Federal law. And even eBay's own person with whom I spoke admitted that this seller wasn't following policy but neither eBay, nor Paypal NOR Capital One made her refund my money. eBay's making too much money off allowing the illegal sell of seeds and PayPal is owned by eBay so they'll back anything they do. Capital One gave me no protection either even when they agreed with me.

Capital One's so called "buyer protection" service really isn't worth the paper they waste to write it on. When you dispute something, they drag it out and it goes on and on and on and every time you talk to them, they say they need some more information or some other paperwork. Capital One makes the process so long and drawn out and complicated that it's really too much trouble to even deal with. What's even worse, I don't think the foreigners they have answering the phone really even know what you're talking about when you try to explain it to them and that makes it even worse. It's the same with eBay and PayPal. You can't find an American to speak with that you can explain anything to so that they CAN understand what's happening... It's adding insult to injury... They're breaking the law... eBay won't stop it. PayPal won't do anything about it and Capital One just lets them get away with the entire thing.

That's a lot of the problem because there's a "language barrier issue". They don't really understand what you're talking about. They're hearing you, and they're saying it but they don't REALLY get it. When you have that kind of problem going on, it's just pointless because it's never going to end. IF YOU PAY FOR SOMETHING WITH CAPITAL ONE and you THINK "they have you covered", you're ABSOLUTELY WRONG. They're covering THEMSELVES and that's IT. You're NOT covered and you're NOT going to get your money back. It's a big lie. You may as well as just hand them your cash and be done.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I went on to their site paid the current balance on both mine and my husband's account. Balance says 0 due then I get another statement stating I owed finance charges so I called them. They said finance charges accrues daily. I said okay but I paid it and it said 0 balance due. They would not waive the finance charges and they didn't care that I close both accounts. I would not recommend using Capital One.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I’ve been a customer with Capital One since 2015. I started out with a secured account and was offered an unsecured account. I got the Quicksilver account and within six months my limit was increased due to good payment history. In April, I had identity fraud on my checking account with Wells Fargo and it was restricted by them after my payment was scheduled, so Wells Fargo blocked all incoming and outgoing transactions. Capital One tried twice to pull my money out of my account, but Wells Fargo rejected the transaction twice so Capital One restricted my account and closed it. This is after years of exceptional payment history and no returned payments.

I provided Capital One with proof from Wells Fargo that it was their error, and a bank statement showing my account balance that was sufficient enough to cover the payment, but Wells Fargo’s restriction is the cause of this. Capital One didn’t give me a chance to make the payment again, didn’t alert me that my account was closed and they’re making me jump through hoops to see if my account can be reopened. They’re telling me that there’s no guarantee my account will be reopened even though I had no control over this situation. Their fraud department is a joke and they don’t advocate for the customer. I’m disappointed because I’m 23 and this will mess up my credit rating, as well as cause me to move to another company if my account is not reopened.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I am very unhappy with the way Capital One handles credit card. I applied for a credit card and got approved but with very low credit limit. I was trying to talk to customer support to increase and she goes forward and cancels my card as they can assess my account to increase my credit limit. When you can access my account to increase my credit limit how on earth can you access to cancel my card. Such a rude service and irresponsible and unprofessional people. I wish I knew her name or something. I will never recommend Capital One to anyone. I got credit check on my record literally for nothing and now there is going to be cancellation reported to credit history. Such annoying and very unprofessional service I have ever encountered.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have Capital One Venture credit card which had a limit of $20,000. I got a mail from Capital One stating they are decreasing the limit to $10,000 and they gave me below reason: "Current account not used enough for assigned credit limit." I have a spotless payment history with them. The reason is unacceptable and none of other credit card companies ever done this. I called the customer service department and they were unhelpful. They couldn't understand the simple math that it could have adverse effect on my credit score. I have had trouble in past with Capital One. I highly discourage people from using Capital One services. Two of my friends had the same issue and their terrible customer representatives made it even worse. There are other great alternatives, opt for them.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Where is disappointed. Capital One declined me for a credit card. The reason they're telling me I open my account eight month ago. I will never carry Capital One card anymore. Got the hard inquiry for nothing and I'm going to close my existing card. I would not recommend Capital One cards.

Original review: May 7, 2018

So I applied for a credit card and was approved. I provided them with my banking information. Two weeks later I received a letter in the mail stating that they have yet to have received my deposit money. So I call and speak to someone on the phone who takes my money out of my savings account directly. I wait another month. The card arrives. I try to activate the card and the account has been closed. Apparently it was closed when they took the money out of my savings account because they don't do debit accounts.

So I follow their Direction and I get penalized. They tell me that they'll refund my money. It'll take 7 to 10 days and I can reapply which puts another hard inquiry on my credit score. A month later I still have not seen my money so I call they haven't even put it in for refund yet so they put it in for a refund and that it will be May 4th before the refund is put directly back into the account it was taken out of. So I wait giving them the benefit of the doubt to the 7th. I call again then I'm told so it was the 14th not the 4th. I specifically repeated several times the 4th. This is been the most ridiculous unservice oriented bank I have ever had to deal with. They have now had my money since February, I have not been able to use it. I cannot seem to get a refund. Whenever I call to inquire they kind of have a smirking "Oh we're so sorry" but then nothing ever gets taken care of. I guess I'm going to just have to get my lawyer involved. My advice to anyone reading this, just don't.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I had my card for 16 years old and paid the card. Call Capital One to ask to lower my interest rate. They stated it could not be done. I was paying 24% and I guessing for the whole 16 years. Silly me, huh, I know. I will never apply for credit with Capital One again; and I will tell others not do so as well. What's in your wallet; shouldn't be Capital One.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have tried several times to redeem my cash rewards - over the course of many, many days. Each time their website stalls and indicates bogus data which precludes them from cutting me a check, such as my address on file is inaccurate (it is accurate), that the service is unavailable at present, etc. I am just getting this very bad feeling that their website is rigged to stall and be unavailable to redeem cash rewards. The other thing is that engaging with their "real" customer service team is a horrendous experience: unknowledgeable, unhelpful, and downright unprofessional. IS THIS COMPANY FOR REAL? I am getting a very bad feeling about doing business with them.

Original review: May 3, 2018

This is one of the worst banking experiences I’ve ever had. These people don’t do their jobs, and they don’t care about their customers, or retaining them. About three weeks ago, I responded to a text message offering lucrative $500 weekly payment for them to put advertising script on my car. When a check for $2,550 drawn on Capital One arrived in my mailbox, it seemed suspicious, so I deposited it in my Capital One checking account and told them it would take 10 business days to clear. Capital One cleared the funds right away, but a few days later the check bounced. I could have taken that money out in cash, and left Capital One holding the bag. I chose not to do this.

Meanwhile, another merchant who I’ve done business with in the past charged my debit card $77.99 for a service I had previously used~~ since I didn’t authorize them to make that charge at this time, I called Capital One to report it. They didn’t have anybody in their fraud department to talk to, so they gave me a toll free number to call and leave a message telling them the details of the charge, and I was promised a callback... That was 2 weeks ago; I left several messages on this line, and I never heard back. Nobody even tried to call me---- so I called them yesterday.

I work for the government, and get paid by direct deposit, on the 3rd of each month. The unauthorized charge, along with the bad check, created a $50 overdraft in my account, which was resolved today. The bad check was returned unpaid~~ I never attempted to use any of that money; it just sat there and was debited back out of my account when the large check bounced. Since nobody at Capital One was doing their job about the unauthorized charge, I decided to let it stand, and use the service I was billed for, and dropped the dispute regarding it.

Jay called me just now, and says that due to the “excessive risk” I posed the bank, they’ve decided to close my account and no longer do business with me. They’re going to transfer my government money to an outside account, and close me out. No amount of reasoning could convince Jay that I pose no risk to their bank. I could have cleared the cash out of my checking account, and left them holding the empty bag. Had I known how I would be treated by this bank, the thought of it sounds very tempting. Now my money is tied up for more time, I have to open another checking account and change direct deposit with Uncle Sam to that new account.

Jay made it very clear that Capital One doesn’t care about its customers, they don’t care that I’m taking my business elsewhere... Nothing that happened posed any risk to the bank; if I had wanted to rip them off, I have plenty of opportunity, and chose not to do so. This bank just plain sucks. Save yourself a lot of grief, and take your business elsewhere. Capital One doesn’t deserve anybody’s business~~.

Original review: May 3, 2018

After having been with Capital One for several years (20+) I was sent an email stating that my credit card was going to be blocked unless I called the company with my physical address. I had been using my PO Box for years, as many residents in Hawaii don't receive regular mail delivery to their homes. So after many years, Capital One thought it was imperative to have this updated information. I called and gave my address and was told everything would be taken care of on their end. A few weeks later I received another email from Capital One indicating that my account had been closed for not having provided a physical address. I called again. I was told that it would be approximately 7-10 days for them to review my information and they would decide then if they will reopen my card. I was sent a letter stating they would not be reopening my account.

So I wrote them a letter, because they are obviously too incompetent to take phone calls responsibly, and told them I had no problem with my account remaining closed. Mind you, I have always had excellent credit, but their incompetence had placed a "red mark" on my credit score at no fault of my own. My best advice is to stay far away from this company as you possibly can! They aren't worth the paper their credit cards are printed on! Pathetic excuse for a credit card company that's for sure!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

You guys are the worst company. I was stranded overseas and you did nothing to assist me. Your customer service representatives were less than helpful. The one customer service representative even refused to continue answering my questions and hung up. I finally spoke with one CSR from Capital One who helped me when I had to call Mastercard directly who then assisted me. I have two credit cards with you. You only replaced one card.

Why would you only replace one??? Then the card you replaced was not the card that you provided a cash advance from. How does that makes sense? Does it make sense to you? It doesn't to me? Why would you send me a card for one and then give me a cash advance on another? Then on top of your unorganized handling of my accounts my credit limits aren't even accurate. How is that a company that is worth over 40 BILLION DOLLAR $$$$ can't guarantee a replacement card overseas and provide real-time emergency assistance? Inquiring minds want to know?? Shame on you! I am beyond frustrated!!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

After six months of being patient trying to work through a dispute with Expedia I ended up closing the account. This is not a company that will fight for its customers. I paid to have a flight rescheduled that was then cancelled by the airline. Neither the airline nor Expedia would work with me on a refund. Capital One drag this out for SIX MONTHS and I patiently worked with them (shame on me). After six months they told me that it was too long to pursue this any further and washed their hands of it. I cancelled the card with $130 in points left on the card which they would not refund me. Hopefully they use it for personality training for the supervisor who handled my case because she has NONE.

Peace out Capital One, I won't be back. We transacted over $60K annually through that card and were never late on payments. I went to Citibank, got the same 2% rewards with no annual fee. And... and... wait for it... they have free TRAVEL INSURANCE in case crap like this happens to you! Pick another card and another company. This one isn't for you.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I have been a customer for Capital One Bank for many years. I have checking, savings and venture card. This past week I have been super disappointed with their banking. I have deposited 6K check on the 26th which is still being reviewed. They are telling me they have some concerns with the amount, while the check was from my husband’s account and it cleared his bank the same day on the 26th. I wonder what do they do with all these deposit checks and why do they hold them from us? I will be moving all my accounts to a better bank that will have my funds available within reasonable time.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have been with Capital One for many years. Although I haven't used their cards much recently I was surprised to see that my interest rate was almost 25% for my two (2) credit cards. I use them when I order online and travel as they are not connected with my banking institution and therefore help in minimizing fraud. My interest rates started out at less that 10%. I subscribe to automatic payments in addition to paying extra each month. I called today to inquire about the 25% interest rate and was advised that Capital One adjust rates every six (6) months and that no adjustment to my rate could be made now. I cancelled both of my accounts and will pay them off within the next two (2) months. What a parasitic operation.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I have been a Capital One customer since 2007. It was bad enough when they jacked up my interest rates (for NO reason) literally the day before the Predatory Lending Act was signed in to law (from 7.9% to 17.9%, and from 8.9% to 18.9%), but they have consistently refused to lower my interest rates ever since. After my husband suffered a stroke and congestive heart failure, my high deductible insurance made it necessary to carry a balance on the cards for the first time. As a result, I ended up with $6,500 on one card and $4,600 on the other. After yet another failed attempt to have them lower my interest rates, I took out a personal loan to pay the balances, and then I shredded the cards. Didn't close the accounts because I don't want to impact my credit score, but it will be a cold day in hell before I do business with Capital One again.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Capital One is a ripoff company. CreditWise is a fraud. They're not reporting accurately about your credit report. CreditWise is telling you your credit report is one thing when it's really another. Call the credit reporting company. That's what I did. They told me I had a student loan. I didn't. They told me my credit score was 500. It was a lie. A lot of what Capital One tells you is not true. I knew it was not true because my credit is locked so how can you report on my credit if my credit is locked. That company commits fraud all day every day. I advise everybody to close their credit card. Pay it off as soon as possible and close it. They're not helping your credit score. They are damaging it. Their representatives can't answer common sense question. Get rid of them ASAP.

Capital One expert review by Beverly Harzog

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.

• Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.

• Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.

• Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.

• Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.

• Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.

• Best for: Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Capital One Company Information