Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.79/5
Based on 1,842 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Top Capital One Reviews

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just announce[d] a breach, which really sucks, but for now, I am staying put with them.

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should close the account, no closing or hidden fees.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $1k in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

Capital One Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I have been a Credit Card Customer of Capital One for quite some time and Truthfully I have the Best Credit Card In The World! No foreign transaction fees. A great credit limit. 1.5% cashback. What more can I ask for in a credit card? Today being Wednesday, October 2, 2019, I received Outstanding Service from Marie (Employee #**). She went out of her way to listen to my needs and find a resolution and I am Not sure what I would have done if it were Not for her. I personally want to Thank Marie for providing ME with Top Class, First Rated Customer Service.

Sincerely yours,
Howard Paul
Executive, Volunteer Writer For Google And Tripadvisor Websites

Capital One Credit Card Customer

/HPS

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have been a C1 credit card holder for about 10 years. I have only positive things to say. When they detected a fraud about twice in the past decade or so, they immediately called and lately also send emails. I get on the horn and they correct it, immediately send out a new card, etc. Spotless. Every time I talked to a representative, they were pretty good and seem to be knowledgeable and helpful.

The only small gripe I have is about their phone verification. About 5 months ago I opened a 360 checking and savings with them. Spot on. Worked flawless. It took about a week to have the initial funds transferred from my external bank. I have direct deposit with them which worked flawless so far. However, after 4 months of using Zelle to make transfers, all of a sudden they wanted to verify my phone number. I've been with them for nearly a decade (credit cards) so they have everything on file. Since I have a pay-as-you-go mobile plan, I never give out my number, but what the heck. No big deal. Apparently they cannot verify pay-as-you-go or prepaid mobile plans. Since these phone plans do not require neither an SSN nor a driver's license, apparently there is no record that the phone number is tied to your name, hence they are unable to verify it.

I've pointed out that this is my first mobile number, and I have this number of 8 years. Never had another one, never used another SIM card. In vain. Apparently they can only verify postpaid phone plans. Of course the cheapest phone plan on a postpaid plan is 60 bucks (as opposed to $3). I have no way of justifying shelling out that much money a month just so a bank can verify my ownership of the phone number. As a result, my Zelle transfers were halted and had to go "around" by transferring the money back to my external account (which I kept open), and from that account I am able to make transfers. Also, I cannot add joint account holder to the checking account due to failed phone verification.

Now, get this. They can manually set up a joint account over the phone, if both parties are present at the same time, but they can only do this for savings account. To add a joint account holder to your checking account, you need at least a $60/month phone plan so they can verify your ownership of the phone number. In other words, if you have a six-figure savings account, they can add joint account holders to it no problem, but if you have a checking account with $200 monthly balance then forget it. Is this messed up or what!? Other than the ridiculous issue with unable to verify prepaid phone numbers, I have no gripe with them. Oh, also, I was able to call in and they helped me fix the Zelle issue. So that should be good to go again - we shall see this next month when I will do my regular transfer.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I banked with WF for years, simply because that was the bank that my parents used and my very first account. Two years ago, I lost my job and started looking for ways to save money. That's when I discovered Capital One and decided to open a Money Market account with them, since a friend referred me and explained that I would get a $100 credit by signing up with her code, in addition to a 2% interest rate. I decided to try it and obtained $180 after the first 30 days of opening the account; $80 as interest, and $100 from my friend's referral code. I can't believe that I had spent so many years banking with institutions that only offered %0.01 for my money!

While doing my research, I also saw that other banks advertise a 2% interest rate but when I clicked to find out more information, it was only offered on CD accounts, which means that I would have not been able to touch my money for 9 or 12 months. With Capital One's Money Market, that's not an issue. I can receive a high interest rate while also being able to access that money any time, without paying any penalties. Capital One 360 has helped me obtain more for my money and keep better track of my credit score through its "creditwise" reports. Once I got hired and started working full-time again, I also decided to start using Capital One credit cards. I started with the Quicksilver, and now I have the Savor card. I love how easy it is to pay or transfer money both through my computer and the phone app. I loved Quicksilver because it felt like a very honest card, you get 1.5% cash back on ALL your purchases, period.

I didn't have to try to figure out if I was only getting 1% on gas, but 2% on entertainment, or try to figure out which purchase would classify for cash back. I now have the Savor card because I do spend a significant amount of money eating out and on entertainment, and the 4% cash back adds up fairly quickly. I genuinely feel that Capital One 360 has helped me improve my financial life and I prefer this bank over any of the other banks that I have used: higher interest, better and quicker customer service, and easy to use phone app.

My only suggestion would be that I wish Capital One offered mortgage options, that way I wouldn't have to look for mortgage lenders through another bank. I highly recommend Capital One and think that you will find the right account and card for your needs. Here's my referral code, in case you decided to try it. I receive $20 for referring you, and you receive $100 for opening a new 360 account (360 Checking, 360 Savings or 360 Money Market), with an initial deposit of $250. Enjoy! https://capital.one/2Xrh0Wx

Original review: June 2, 2019

I just want to acknowledge Capital One for the customer service I always receive. They value even the little people and the interest rate I pay 24% or something like that doesn’t even bother me because It is a small price to pay for great care. They always fix any issue — fast on unauthorized charges even crediting your account before determining your disputes validity.

I was late 2 times in the past 6 months due to a broken phone and a move and when I called to see if I could reverse the late fee they did so with no hesitation! My limits are 500 and 1000 so that they care for me as a mediocre customer speaks loudly to their integrity and shows they value All customers... which after being treated unfairly by Walmart credit after never making late payments and getting a credit reduction really made me appreciate them. Not to mention when you say you want an agent on the automated system it just says ok not asking why until you are blue in the face.. 10 stars Cap One.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I spoke to a gentleman I believe his name was Kerry? Or Terry? Point is he was absolutely amazing. I was helped as soon as I found out someone else was using my card. Even though it was 11:30 at night! I have never on the phone had someone as helpful professional, and just plain awesome at handling a stressful situation for a customer. He reminded me multiple times that everything will be alright and that Capital One will take care of everything. His kind words and EXTREMELY professional demeanor were refreshing and amazing to see. He definitely deserves this review, and represented his company so well that I have a completely new view and will be keeping my card for a very long time. A++++++++ service! Thank you!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Hadn’t used my card in a while but decided to use it to go grocery shopping at the store near my house since I still had a week till pay day. Prior to leaving for the store, I logged into the app to verify everything looked good since I hadn’t used it in a while. Everything looked good so I left, got the groceries and went to check out to have the card declined. Right then got the email saying they had suspended the card due to “suspicious activity” and to call them ASAP. So here I am in the check out line with a cart full of groceries and a frustrated toddler calling Capital One to verify my identity. Get put on hold and at the end of all of it told I need to upload documents to prove my identity.

Ultimately something you can’t resolve at the grocery store which would have been nice to know in the beginning before I called that the process is slow so I didn’t waste my time calling them at the store and could work toward finding another way to pay. Ended up calling a family member. Since again had a week until pay day. I still don’t understand how using my card at the grocery store less than 5 minutes from my house is considered suspicious activity. At this point, I’m considering closing the account. I don’t think I would ever feel comfortable using the card without worrying the card would be declined for no good reason. I also don’t ever want to have another experience of feeling mortified in the check out line.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

14 Days still no returned payment! WORST customer service. Capital One credit card: I made an extra payment by accident through my checking account. This resulted in $930.00 in overage payment to Capital One, and a negative balance on my credit card. Unfortunately, since it went through my bank could not recall the payment. I called Capital One on January 11th to have the money sent back to my checking account. I was given a 4-5 business day period for the ACH to go through. I had to call back on the 18th and it was still not processed. They had to submit another request for another 5 business days.

Why does it take 10 business days to process a simple ACH? I work in a financial institution and it takes a maximum of 2 business days to process an ACH. The managers I was put on the phone were absolutely horrible. They said there was nothing that could be done and even suggested to hang up and call again. What kind of terrible customer service is that from Capital One? It is now January 24th, so that is 13 days that this money still has not been returned. What if my checking account was overdrawn this whole time? "What's in your wallet?" Absolute garbage.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I have had the worst experience dealing with Capital One Auto Finance account representatives. I am doing a Lemon Law buyback deal with Nissan USA, and in order to begin the process, Nissan provided me with some information that I need to get from Capital One Auto Finance about my account, such as a detailed payment history from them and a Completed Lienholder Information Request Form.

The representatives, which are hard to communicate with because of language barriers, ignored everything I asked from them. They have also refused to send me information about my own account, such as a detailed payment history and finance charges paid to date. Also they refuse to give me a POC, nor the phone number or Fax of the POC, which is needed for the request form stated above. In regards to the request form, this needs to be filled out by me and then sent over. Let me reiterate, Capital One account representatives are absolutely terrible. I have kept a mellow demeanor throughout my calls and have been hung up on twice so far. They do not want to listen to what the customer is actually asking for, nor provide them information regarding the customers account.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I have no words how I can explain my extreme frustration with Capital One and its Platinum Credit Card. I have this card for almost 2 years now. I have good credit, good credit history, and no derogatory issues with my credit. I have been trying to increase my credit limit from the LITTLE limit they gave me. Tried several times in a year but never been successful once. I have cards from Bank of America, Amex and Discover. Never had an issue. I am so surprised. Communication with Capital One is almost impossible. Always machine, no human contact. I wonder why they are in business in the first place. In this market with hundreds of options, I now learn I made a huge mistake having a card with capital One. Anyone who is trying to get their card has to think twice.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

My bank sent a cashier's check to Capital One in November of 2019 of over 3,000.00 and the check had my name and the last 4 digits of my card number. Capital one cashed the check but to this date January 2020 still has not applied to my account. I have contacted them 3 times about this and to no avail have they corrected. They sent me a letter asking for a copy of the front and back of the check and I faxed this to them. When I called them today I was told they had attached the copy of the check to someone else’s file. This is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth that a company this size can not resolve this in a timely manner. I am definitely reconsidering my business with them.

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
    Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
    What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
    There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
    How do you find your Capital One account number?
    You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
    Does Capital One have a mobile app?
    Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
    Where are Capital One branch locations?
    Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One pros and cons

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
    • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
    • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
    • Opt-in overdraft charges

Capital One Company Information