1.20/5

Looking for a great Credit Card?

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

4179 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Had a Union Plus credit card for 15 years, never missed a payment. Capital One took over and I stopped receiving statements via mail and email. I complained but they said they are sending email and Yahoo accepting. I looked through all my mail and found nothing. This company is disgusting. I was on the phone with the representatives and requested a manager, the rep was far better spoken than the manager. They easily cancelled my 15 year account without any fuss. Because I am a responsible consumer and do not incur late fees? They charged me a late fee of $3! Will not break the bank but they would not explain their billing system and how everything was fine until they took over. I no longer carry their card.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have never really had an issue with this card till this month. Every month I get my statement on the 19th in the morning. When I wake up, it is available to view. This month it was very important for me to get it the same time as I am trying to apply for a mortgage next month and needed my score to go up a lot, I even took out money from my 401k to make sure my balance would be very low for when the statement comes out on the 19th, however this month it did not come out until the 20th. I am very upset, I called customer service numerous times and no one can give me an answer as to why it came out a day later, so all my pending transactions came out on the new statement making my balance higher than It would have been had it come out on the 19th as it was supposed to. No one there can help nor did they care.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Stupidly missed a payment. Very good about making payments with them on time, as I have two credit cards and a 360 car loan. They wouldn't reverse the $25 late fee. So I had to pay that. Before that, I got a $49 yearly maintenance fee for the honor of having their card. LOL! The $49 extra fee threw me off, things were tight, and because I didn't make a full minimum payment (my normal payment is $25, and that's what I always make, but due to the $49 fee, I was supposed to have made more). They then charged me $38 "underpayment fee." That made it so my payment due was $111. Couldn't afford it, they said they'd work out a schedule with me. Great. But that schedule included late fees as well. Crooks. I regret doing business with them. Disgusted.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I reported a fraudulent website that sent me a $1 stuffed animal instead of $500 golf clubs. They said they would check into it and submit it as "goods not delivered" but would get back with me IF they needed anything else. I offered screenshots and photos but they said "not now". A few weeks later after not getting any alerts through the APP that I use I decided to log on using a desktop and found deep inside the website after signing in I had to click on the specific account and then click "account services" and then go to "alerts and messages" then click "view messages" only to find two messages that I could not ever find in the APP. (When my car loan is due I get a big red bubble alert on the home page.)

When I viewed the messages after a long holiday weekend, the first one asked for additional information which I previously offered and the second one due to a lack of response the claim was denied (within a week). Shocking and Unbelievable. I am now in the process of trying to close my accounts but I spent an hour searching the website for an email or an electronic way to close the account and cannot find anything. The website sucks and the customer service is even worse!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Made a same day payment on the 9th. Check free. Capital One got it the 10th. Said check free. Capital One don't find it till the 13th. Called and talk to them 6× and email say would be fix. STILL NOT FIX 2 weeks later. Nobody there knows anything. Accountant was the rudest person. Every on app. No way to write them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I happened to notice a very obvious double charge on my statement so I called to alert Capital One and get a refund for this double charge. But nooo, still waiting for MY MONEY a week later and numerous phone requests. NOT HAPPY.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been a Capital One credit card customer for many years and rarely if ever carry a balance. I had a horrible hotel stay in July and the facility did not have any on premises parking my last night there and did nothing to correct it nor did they clean my room. After providing numerous documents, statements and a witness to Capital One they want me to provide a credit voucher or second opinion which makes zero sense regarding a hotel stay. No matter whom I spoke to it fell on deaf ears and they treated the stay as a purchase of goods and could not comprehend the difference. I am now canceling my 3 accounts with them and will pay whatever they deem reasonable in both of my disputes as I have no time for nonsense or idiotic employees. I will now use my local bank card and NEVER do business with Capital One AGAIN! Anyone reading this should do yourself a favor and apply elsewhere as well. You have been warned.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I recently paid off a debt of 490 some dollars that I owed. The amount was due on the 12th and I paid it in full on the 11th. I receive a new charge of $6 that I still owe and when I called customer service, I got two answers: 1. Because they still need to charge me for the interest on the card from the previous month. When I disputed: 2. Because my payment was sent in on the 11th but the billing cycle does not close until the 15th so they have to charge me interest, even though it was paid before the due date. So all in all, all they want is %, even when you don't owe anything. Other than the mileage that I get on this card, this card services and customer service is a joke.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Capital One doesn't ensure that you are notified about your case - they 'just send notification letter' which can be lost. So you have to call them basically every week to get news. Otherwise you lost your money.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Recently applied and got approved for Capital One's Platinum credit card. The process was super easy and very clear. Got approved within 60 seconds and my card was mailed to me in about 2-3 weeks. The Capital One app is super user-friendly and functional with simple push notifications and a helpful credit monitor from Creditwise. Highly recommended credit card for individuals trying to build or re-establish their credit.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Capital One takes 3 business days to process electronic payments and then charge you interest. They charged me over $300 in interest over 3 months even though I processed the payment on the due date via e-transfer. I have an AMEX & Visa and the day I process my e-payments with them is the day they receive it. No one takes 3 days to receive funds digitally - EDI happens in minutes, if not seconds. When I called to complain they said it was a “legitimate charge but were willing to offer me $30 to satisfy me.” My response - "No thanks, I just simply won’t be doing business with you anymore." But I do have a loud voice and will be broadly communicating these archaic processes resulting in unethical consumer servicing.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I foolishly and desperately acquired a HSBC prepaid card which is now a Capital One card with 24% + interest rates, no rewards and annual fees. I have a long history of paying on time but no matter. Their lack of approval for credit line increases along with them clawing back. Almost every dollar I pay keeps my credit score low and prohibits me from being approved by other credit card companies.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Capital One's denial letter states I must be disappointed. I'm not disappointed in the least bit. Every possible credit grantor that issues a credit card has seen fit to issue me their card for the last 50 years. If Capital One chooses not to is their loss, not mine. My FICO score is 794 and I have never been a day late on any bill in my life. I guess I'm just not good enough for their high standards.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I've been a Capital One customer for a few years now, they're always very helpful & honorable folks to do business with. The only gripe I have is about the processing time for posting payments. When I submit a payment, it should be posted within a few hours, but it usually takes until the next day to post to my account GRRR LOL! Maybe I'm just too impatient? The mainframes have huge amounts of batch I/O tasks to process, other than that though I have no real complaints with Capital One, I will be with them a long time as long as they keep treating me right.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have been banking at Capital One for 30 years. I couldn't go into the branch to make a deposit into my OWN account because I didn't have my license or debit card with me. I know my account number - they have the absolute worst service ever. I then said - "Well I go outside and drop the checks in the overnight deposit drop" - they said, "Go ahead" - what a joke this company and these managers are.

As for using Online Bill pay - I have sent multiple checks to different individuals (not businesses) and the checks get batched in one envelope when sent to the same address but the checks are made out on different dates, amounts and to different individuals - these are 1099 paychecks. I complained on 3 different times, even one time I could tell there were multiple checks in one envelope and had the branch manager open it to see there were 2 different checks inside - they said, "Sorry our 3rd party vendor can't fix it." I will pay these individuals to sue the bank over privacy issues - who wants to open the mail and see someone else payroll? This bank and its service departments are a nightmare. I rarely complain about anything - but after today GoodBye but I hope to see them in court. Well I fixed both of these issues - closed out my personal and business accounts and moved to PNC. What a breath of fresh air.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

If you are thinking of getting a card from this Company you should start re-thinking your life. Don't even bother investing your time and money with them. Worst credit card lender in Canada. Why? 1. They won't resolve your issue. 2. They have a very bad customer care. (Once I talked to 7 representative just to spend 5 minutes on resolving actual issue) And it took 1:30 Hours to not actually resolve the actual issue. 3. They will screw up your first credit card statement and blame you for everything. 4. No one in the company knows how to resolve the issue. 5. Illiterate/irritating/low IQ staff. 6. Specifically don't get the Secure Card from them. It does the actual opposite of the purpose it is for. 7. Lastly, corrupt.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I called 9/9/2018 to get the annual fee taken off on one of my credit cards (I have 2 cards from Capital One) the agent told me that he will waive the $59 and he can upgrade my card to Venture or Quicksilver but I have to call back the next day to complete the process and so I did. I called back today 9/10/2018 and to find out that they cannot upgrade my card and cannot do anything with the annual fee. I don’t tell them how to do their job. But since they told me they can upgrade so I don’t have to pay for annual fee anymore I said yes... but to find out I can’t... we keep going back and forth so I decided to closed both accounts! I can take my business somewhere else! There’s more credit card companies that offers a lot more benefits for the cardholder. Now you lose a good and loyal customer!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

This company is a full-blown nightmare. Something as simple as getting access to my online banking and it has been over a month of the run-around. I've had the terrible task of calling them 6 times in regards to not being able to access my account online. Every time I call they tell me they have fixed the issue and I have to wait 72 hours in order to try accessing it again. So I wait the 72 hours, still doesn't work. Call, repeat the same process (waiting on hold while they "correct the errors"), then once again they tell me I have to wait 72 hours before trying. This happens a couple more times so I call and ask to speak to a supervisor. She is not very nice to me on the phone after waiting 30 mins to talk to her. I express my frustration with being constantly told to wait 72 hours and try again - which SHE then tells me I have to wait ANOTHER 72 HOURS before trying again and this time it will for sure work.

You guessed it - didn't work. So I just got off the phone with them again and told them how this issue is driving me insane and I can't keep repeating the same process over and over with them anymore. So now they have sent an email to their tech department (why didn't they do that in the first place!) and I have to wait 5 business days before trying to sign-in again. Their apologies for the inconvenience came across as condescending and insincere. I am fed up. The absolute most pathetic company I have ever dealt with. I am switching over to PC Financial this month. I will be glad to never have to deal with their horrible customer service again.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I called and changed the account for my payments, when I did this I didn't know that the Indian lady on the phone with me didn't save my information that I had called and wasted 35 minutes of my life doing. Following month I had a returned payment. So I had to change it AGAIN, not knowing that this returned payment would cause problems. Few months later I requested a Credit increase, we are remodeling our house, I get declined due to the returned payment. That again, wasn't my fault.

So I called to talk to someone about the situation, and the response I got was basically 'That is a system generated response, there is nothing we can do.' Even after explaining the situation the boy on the phone just repeated himself saying "it's not my role to say it's your problem, but again there is nothing we can do." I bet American Express would love the extra money anyways. I'm cancelling ALL cards with them. Completely unsatisfied with Capital One, the suites need to focus on their Customer Service area of their business.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I recently went into the bank to withdraw cash. I hadn’t received any letters stating that they were getting rid of the tellers? I had my checkbook & a state ID and was told I couldn’t make a withdrawal without my debit card. I had accidentally left my wallet on my boat and thought I’ll just run in so I can get cash. Because of banking mergers, I have two checking accounts, a 360 account and my business card and credit card all through Capital One. I couldn’t believe that I could not withdraw cash from my account! They said the closest bank with tellers was over 2 1/2 hours away in Houston! Out of anger I asked to close one of my accounts and they said they did issue a cashier's check which I was going to go across the street and open up a new account with a new bank.

After the account was closed online she walked back to get the cashier's check but promptly returned stating she couldn’t because my ID (Texas state conceal carry identification) wasn’t accepted in their system. Unlike a driver's license this license has a full background check with fingerprinting!!! Yet, she couldn’t reverse closing the account but refused to give me my money. A manager came out to assist and eventually had to call someone online at Capital 360 who ended up hanging up on him on purpose! I strongly advise everyone to leave this bank.

Not to mention I’ve been paying $35 a month fee for my business checking for all kinds of services that are no longer offered. I guess they didn’t feel the need to reimburse me when they took them away. Last note I cannot believe the new open concept café style where you get to hear everybody’s personal banking information when you’re sitting at the same table!!! In a world of security issues how this would possibly work is beyond me!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I received an invite from Credit Karma that I was pre approved for this card and after some additional info, qualified immediately. I used it a few times but not all. I have never really needed a credit card as I use cash but being a homeowner I thought about emergencies. When I got my bill I figured I'd pay double, (always do) called the number on card ready to make my payment, then my heart drops. You have to give Credit One your routing number off your checking acct before they will accept payment! Even from your debit card. I'm 62 just bought my 1st home and all my life have never been late with my bills at all. I am very disabled and awaiting heart surgery then spine surgery after I heal. My payment is 7 days late and I am a mess, they send emails every day and basically harassment kindly.

It’s pretty frightening to me to try to figure out how to pay this card off. They tacked $38.00 late fee already. This company should be shut down. They offered me the card very quickly? They send emails every day about downloading the Capital One app, I did but they are like robots and don't leave you alone. I have never had to give out my routing number and won't now either. I will send a money order along with the cut up card and be done with them. I should go to the news and go public, but my heart? So deceitful, I'm so feeling very violated by the banking scam company. Please avoid them no matter how bad you need money, you will pay dearly. They offer a card and betray your kindness with robbery.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Capital One will not provide information that they are legally required to provide. Called customer service and also spoke with a "supervisor". They never sent interest statements nor regular monthly statements. Account was closed in February 2018 and now I do not have online access to my information. I will now also be closing my Spark Business credit card. Clearly, they are incapable of providing even basic information and basic customer service. I simply need the amount that Capital One reported to the IRS or for them to email me my interest form that they filed with the IRS so that I can file my tax return. They simply could not pull this off. :/

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Filed complaint re: they closed my account arbitrarily due to lack of supporting verifiable ID info. Long story short: supposedly they have decided to refund me the annual fee of $59... what about the finance charges y'all billed me for against that $59 charge? This supposed solution is not acceptable. They have ads all over the WWW for this particular credit card having NO ANNUAL FEES. I want it in writing: REFUND THE $59 from last year and DO NOT CHARGE ME THIS FEE GOING FORWARD.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had a Spark 360 account. The app stopped working and couldn’t deposit. When you call, no one helps. You get transferred without warning and then get stuck on hold. For a business, huge waste of time.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

After doing business for years with Capital One I recently had my access limited, they claim due to fraudulent activity. Demand I send a slew of personal info to verify myself. Funny I have no problem logging on and making a payment, and info I gave them, last 4 of SS, address, etc.,was same it has been for years. HA! Worst customer service I have ever dealt with, going so far as telling me they will interrupt me if they want to, and their main office is now located in the Philippines. U.S. rep could barely hear on phone. I think I am more concerned if they are fraud or not! Another company big enough to push you around and nothing you can do about it.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have had a Capital One credit card for four years. I have made my first and every payment since from my iPad through my checking account which I have had for years. This month Capital One declined my payment saying invalid account. I called Capital One rep and was told it was my bank and I needed to talk to them. The bank said nothing had changed with my account and other payments had gone through. I called back to Capital One and was put on hold for 15 minutes and hung up and redialed and asked for supervisor. He was rude and told me I would have to fix it and did not know why it happened. He gave me a list of things I would have to do and it would then take them about 20 days to fix it after I got everything back to them. What a company! I was about to purchase a car through them but have decided not.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have had a Money Market account at Capital One for around 12 or so years. I see they have a new account Capital One 360 with 6x the interest, so I signed up. Everything went sideways. It seems my Capital One Money Market and my Capital One 360 are somehow more or less different companies or different divisions or similar. I have had an issue transferring money between them and it IMPOSSIBLE to find anyone who can help. Resulting in my money sitting in cyberspace limbo where I cannot access for the past 10 days. You could call it theft by incompetence. Today I went into a Capital One Cafe for assistance. The person tried, but could not help me. We are on hold for about an hour and a half total and transferred 3 times, when all of a sudden we hear the support line is closed and they hung up. Wow. Just wow.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Back in September my Capital One card was frauded 1700.00$. As soon as I noticed I canceled my card and I thought everything was fine. After a lengthy investigation they call the situation theft not fraud and I would be responsible for the transactions. I called several times. After spending no less the 2 hrs trying to deal with these idiots I got nowhere. It says right on their from page that (if you didn’t authorize the transactions don’t worry you won’t be charged for them). I’ve been fighting with them since last September. When the charges were made I was in rehab. They never emailed me any receipt of the transactions and I barely used their card. All of a sudden there was 1700.00$ worth of transactions made all in one day. If you're thinking about getting a Capital One credit card DONT. Deal with a real bank when you get a credit card. Stay away from these scammers.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Totally lame bank. Registered and couldn't log in. Then they told me I had to upload copies of my DL to verify it is really me and then I would be able to log in to my account. So I uploaded my DL pics, which took dozens of times and was really annoying and after their security check finally accepted pics of my DL, I was still unable to log in. So I called customer service again, sat on the phone on hold for 30 minutes, got tired of waiting, called them back, they told me their security team needed to ask me some more questions to verify it is me, even though the last rep said the DL pics were good enough and then I sat on the phone on hold even longer waiting on their security team and then I gave up on trying to access my Capital One account. What a lame, lazy and trollish bank!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I made my scheduled payment to Capital One. I know it was received and posted because I also have a Capital One 360 account. I also received an email from Capital One that my payment was posted to my account. Go Ahead and use it! So I did. I used it twice prior and all was good. The third time I went to use it it was declined! I had no other form of payment with me. The people at the store were kind enough to let me call and find out why.

After calling I found out a hold was placed on my payment which they received varied in an email. Also go ahead and use it verified in an email. This makes no sense to me other than Capital One was trying to harass me. I have always paid on time. Always more than minimum too. It was a pure harassment and I know why because my score took a hit! That doesn't give them the right to harass me. Oh and the fund's hold was 7 days! They lifted the hold after I was on the phone in the store for over an hour. I don't trust it anymore! I'll keep it open. Just won't use it. Boy was I embarrassed!

Capital One expert review by Beverly Harzog

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.

• Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.

• Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.

• Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.

• Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.

• Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.

• Best for: Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
    Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Capital One Company Information