Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More
1.15/5

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

4408 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

I cannot believe how horrible CO is! I went to my diabetes Dr yesterday. I have to take insulin several times a day now. I called to try to work with you to get an available amount put on my account. I was told I had a few dollars with rewards. I was told it would be applied as an available amount and would be done in a day or two. I called tonight to find out where it was and was told it was applied to my balance instead. I asked the rep yesterday to confirm that it would not be applied to my balance. He said that it would be an available amount. I needed that money for my diabetes supplies. You LIED TO ME! I can't use the language I'd like to because it could get me booted from Facebook.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Horrible website updates. All changes have interrupted all feeds with accounting software. Locked out of all accounts and can't get a "by when" I'll be able to access my accounts. Never had these problems with ING!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

March 19. Had to call a second time to close my now merged Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops account. Paid off entire balances on Feb 26. (Overpaid actually. They stated to me, "that's just how things work here.") They proceeded by stating that they would be sending me a check for the credit balance on my account. Now three weeks later, the accounts are still not closed and that my account had accrued interest since. Dealing with customer service is a joke. Then they transfer you to a supervisor that even more ridiculous. They just read off a cue card and don't care about the consumer. They are like robots.

I have had trouble after trouble from this company since taking over for Cabela's and Bass Pro. They make it near impossible to redeem your club points. After the second 40 minute conversation (battle) they want to transfer you to the catalog department and make you call back to deal with them all over again!! Keep my $18.35 in Club points. Put four gallons of fuel in your yacht. It's worth it for me to never have to deal with you again CAPITAL ONE...I could go on and on about troubles I've had dealing with this company. (0) ZERO STARS ACTUALLY FROM ME! 4200 Reviews and a one star rating. I can see why!!!

Original review: March 19, 2019

A few years ago I applied for a Capital One Platinum Card and was approved. I put a few charges and paid it off within a couple of months then put a few more small charges paid it off etc. I then put my dishwasher on the card a paid about 4 to 5 months in a minimum payment but couldn't stand to keep paying the small amount so I paid it off.

Two weeks later I looked and my card had been restricted!!! I called for a solid week in an attempt to figure out what had happened and was told with each phone call that I would have to leave a message for the "Executive Resolution Department" and they would call me back within 2 to 3 business days. That NEVER HAPPENED. I sent a fax with all of my info for that department with still no communication. I carried my phone in my back pocket for 2 weeks answering every aggravating solicitation call just to keep from missing Capital one's phone call. Never a returned call, email, fax or smoke signal. Nothing.

I was standing in a local grocery store earlier today listening to the conversation next to me and the woman was complaining that she paid off her Capital One Platinum Card and now it was restricted. I told her the same thing happened to me. She said that she has a close relative that works for Capital One in New Orleans and they said if Capital One doesn't see your account as profitable meaning if you pay your balance off too quickly and deprive them of making tons of money off of you, then they will cancel your account. The heck with trying to be responsible with your credit. Right??

I get back into my car and try one more time to get answers but was told the same thing by a very nice young lady. She genuinely said that she was very sorry and could tell that I was upset. An hour later my phone rings. I don't want to answer a number that I don't know but I'm glad that I did. I recognized the voice as the young lady that I just spoke with earlier from Capital One. She didn't call from the same number and she tells me "you deserve an explanation". Your card was cancelled because you kept paying your balance too early" and she hangs up. I was so shocked but appreciated that she gave me the answer that I was looking for and she also verified what the nice lady I had just spoke to in CVS had said.

This is the day for coincidence...as I'm typing this my phone rings again and it's the Executive Resolution Department 2 weeks later. I asked the woman why and she first tells me that I will be receiving a letter. I tell her that it's been a couple of weeks and unless it came from China to the US it didn't make it to me. She said that they canceled my card due to the fact that I used it against Capital One policy... what??? I then asked what transaction was against your policy. She says. "Ma'am I don't know." I asked her if the letter would tell me that and she says no, it will simply say my card was used against Capital One Policy.

I then asked "did I ever pay late"... she says no. I said did I buy a ** precursor with it by mistake lol and she says no. She would never give me and answer. What that tells me is that the lady from CVS and the anonymous phone call were both right. They were not making enough money off of my account. I'm over it now so thank you all for taking the time to read this crazy but very true story. Be careful with this company please.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I just closed my 3 Capital One 360 Online Savings accounts. There was a glitch that was not allowing me to name the accounts (nicknames). Since the balances are sometimes similar I need to be able to distinguish between them at a glance. After months of this & multiple calls to tech support, I closed my accounts. Not because of the glitch per se but because of this response, more than once: “we see no issue on our end, the back end, so we will not create a trouble ticket and we will not pursue this any further. We see no reason that this should be happening”. Translation to their customer of over 10 years: “This shouldn’t be happening therefore it isn’t happening”. Unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: March 19, 2019

I am beyond furious with Capital One!! We needed to change a phone number on our account so they could send me a temporary code to access my account online to pay a bill and I was told they couldn’t change our number and couldn’t tell us why. I called late last week and if the change would have happened then, I could have viewed my bill and made my payment online then. I was then told they had an issue with the system and to call back today. I spent another hour on the phone with them tonight to get nowhere. I was told I couldn’t make the number change again tonight but to try back in a week. Wtf?? How is it our account and I can’t make a change to my phone number? The phone number they had on file was no longer in use so tell me how I am able to view my bill before paying it if I can’t access the account? All they kept saying repeatedly as they couldn’t share any information with me but they understand our frustration.

Frustration isn’t even the word for what I was feeling! So I was required to make a payment on an account that I couldn’t view but told if I didn’t pay it, I would accrue late charges. Then I was told I was late to pay by phone by an hour which was the time I was on with them asking to change my phone number. Hey but they were willing to send me a paper statement and I could send payment by mail but it’d be late so nothing like giving a customer options. This was by far the worst customer service I have ever had!! I was given no information on my own account and absolutely no options given. Do not ever open a Capital One card because dealing with their customer service is terrible!

Original review: March 19, 2019

They got our statement mailing address wrong on the statements. Postal service cannot delivery statements in a timely manner. When confronted, they refused to waive all interest and late fees even though they screwed up our mailing address. By the way, this is a BUSINESS credit card and we actually are charged a yearly membership fee as well. As the result, we have been charged over $400 in interest and $100 in late fees that they are not taking responsibility for. We will be cancelling our Capital One business credit card at our earliest opportunity.

Original review: March 18, 2019

On March 18, 2018 at 1630 hours I called Customer Service for Capital One and spoke to a Keisha who would not provide any more info on herself. I asked about a fee they charged and when I heard it was from the bank - I told them I am taking my business elsewhere, she said OKAYYY?! The lady was rude and very condescending on the phone. Not the type of business I want from people who are holding over 85k a year of my money. I will be moving over to CHASE Bank. 4 Years of service down the drain over. Do not recommend!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I applied for a Quicksilver credit card, with zero percent interest for 15 months, knowing I had Excellent credit. They sent me a card, and a report with my credit score and APR after the introductory interest rate. The report gave an incorrect, much lower, credit score that is much different from Equifax, where they supposedly got my score from. No help from customer service or supervisors to remedy the situation.

Original review: March 16, 2019

They sent the card to my street address instead of my mailing address. I contacted customer service twice to correct it and got the runaround for nearly an hour. I never activated the card but I was pleased to send it back with a note explaining they have the worst customer service ever.

Original review: March 15, 2019

First, don't go with Capital One at all! Here is why, they have 0 customer care. The supervisor I finally spoke to on the phone was great but so hand tied they are useless to help. I asked for a credit line increase, this is the response "Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low". For over a year I have paid my account on time, been a great customer.

Now I ask for a credit line increase to actually use the card more, which I do use it every month. I simply keep my payments up and pay more when I can. So for that, they tell me, sorry but you don't keep your card at a high enough amount for us. It's a $500 limit, I keep it around $40 a month because like I said, I keep it paid down for the sake of my credit scores. Whether it's a $5000 limit or $500, I will keep it low. So what they are really saying, is they want all of us, to keep our spending limit high to keep out scores down and their interest rate pulling in as much cash as possible from us. It's a scam through and through and if you read this, my advice, stay away from Capital One Credit Cards and the company as a whole.

Original review: March 15, 2019

On February 5, 2019, I called into the customer service department in order to inquire about a new application for a credit card. I have my credit frozen for security purposes. I specifically asked the customer service agent which Credit Reporting Agency was used for checking “credit worthiness” for new applicants and I was told that TransUnion was the only one used.

I then proceeded to unfreeze my TransUnion Credit Report. After unfreezing my TransUnion Credit Report I applied (online) for a credit card and was Declined. I have an 800+ Credit score and I am debt free. I made a 2nd call into the customer service department and spoke with a supervisor. She informed me that it was “due to the freeze” that I was declined and they were “unable to pull my credit”. I explained that I had already lifted the freeze and then asked her if it would hurt if I “tried again.” She answered by telling me that it would not hurt at all. When I attempted to apply again, I was declined, once again.

Frustrated, I phoned customer service (a 3rd time) and spoke with a different supervisor. This supervisor then explained to me that your company “pulls from ALL 3 credit bureaus”, which was contrary to what I was told on my original call. I was also informed that by the 2nd supervisor that your company did indeed pull my TransUnion credit report, which would leave a “hard inquiry” on my report.

I feel that I have been misled and do not believe that I was treated fairly. I do not feel that it was fair that my credit was “dinged” due to misinformation that was provided to me. I requested that the “hard inquiry” be removed from the credit report (TransUnion) that was affected and have not received a reply to my certified letter, which was sent over a month ago.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My mother passed away in 2004. She left credit card debt with Capital One and for some reason, my father didn't pay it. Not sure if he didn't realize it, couldn't pay it due to living on social security, not sure. In 2008 they took my father to court over my mothers defaulted credit card from 2004, because he was her spouse. I do not know what type of arrangement he made with them, whether to pay a small amount each month, etc.

In 2011 my father got sick, and all of his mail/bills, came to me. I paid them for him, while he was sick. He died a short while later, in January 2012. I was the sole heir of his property, as well as executor of his will, I handled all of his creditors once he passed. His mail still, in 2019, comes to me to deal with. I never received a single piece of mail/phone call, etc from Capital One. In 2014 my father's will went into probate, to allow me to sell his property, and creditors were alerted to the fact that the estate was in probate and they had to send in requests for payment. They only have a limited time, by law, to pursue payment. Again, nothing from Capital One. I wasn't expecting anything from anyone, he had passed 2 years earlier, and I had taken care of all bills that came through.

I entered into a lease-to-own contract with a buyer to purchase the property in 2015, and the attorney ran a title check on the property, it was clear. The buyer has been leasing to own, and let me know that they would be putting the property on the market a couple of weeks ago. When their realtor ran a title check on the property, there was a judgement lien on the property from Capital One, dated 2018.

How exactly, is it legal for them to, 1. Try to collect on a debt that defaulted in 2004, 15 years ago, 2. Bypass the legal limit of time for them to collect their monies when a property is in probate, and 3. Not alert the personal representative/executor of the will that they were owed money, and would be taking the estate to court for payment? I have NOTHING... I don't have a copy of the judgement, I had to call the courts and ask them to please help with whatever they could. I don't know where it was file, what it was filed for, or where to even start. This is one of the shadiest companies I have ever heard of. I now have to involve the probate lawyer, to help sort this out... costing thousands of dollars out of pocket.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have been a customer with Capital One for 6 years and have 100% on-time payments during that time. Recently, an authorized user on my card was involved in a scam, which I found out too late that caused fraudulent charges on my account. I was told that because I "willingly gave a third party my information" it was not fraud and they would not reopen my account. I don't think they understand what fraud means, but okay. I was then told that I was welcome to re-apply for a new credit card. So you can charge me new fees and pretend I haven't been a customer for as long as I have? No, thanks. Don't expect to get any help from customer service without a runaround if they even decide to do something for you at all. Absolutely zero customer loyalty. Don't forget you're just a dollar sign to them, nothing more.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I pay all bills for my father who has a Capital One account. Several times I have had to dispute charges and since the account holder has to be on the line, it was a huge inconvenience as my father does not live with me. Capital One asked us to send a signed power of attorney via fax. All the documents they requested were sent, I have fax confirmations but yet Capital One claims they never received it both times it was faxed. I gave up on faxing the documents, however, I am still trying to dispute a charge and this morning when I called to get their fax number to send the supporting documents, they said they could not give out their fax number either, as if a fax number is confidential information. I gave this company one star rating because lower doesn't exist. I am glad that I am not a customer.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Capital One spammed my email and physical mail with a pre-approved 0% card for months, so I figured why not. Keep in mind I have a checking account with them and a card for years that has a limit of almost double this one, and $0 balance on it at the moment. Step 1: Call to activate, done activated. Step 2: Your card needs fraud check and you can't use it. Step 3: Submit 5 million documents all over the internet proving my identity, yet their link doesn't allow me to submit them all so I have to resize and do other stuff.

Step 4: You don't have enough documents, sent them passport, driver's license, w2, a 1099-int from Capital One. After spending 30 mins on their terrible phone system I learn I can't physically go into a branch to show my identity. Why? Who knows, maybe all the card scammers out there have an easier time cloning people than getting the massive amounts of sensitive documents I put in one place on their website. Step 5: Call up to get a new "secure link" and send my SS card. After this 30 min call the Capital One rep confirms that my documents have been received and now they have to call me back and to give them the best call time. I told them 12pm est.

Step 6: Got a call around 8:00pm est leaving a VM to call back. Get in touch with a representative in about 5 mins in the nosiest call center room in history. Then I'm placed on hold for about 20 mins as someone verifies the documents. What takes that amount I don't know as they aren't actually doing anything other than looking at them. My SS card wasn't signed. I requested to speak to a supervisor and explained the process they put me through and that I'll send the card signed right now, but I want it looked at and I need a new link. She hung up on me, no wonder why the company sucks because they have supervisors that are useless.

Step 7: Call in again, get a new link, upload the signed card. After about 15 mins on hold again, now I need proof of address. They have a Capital One 1099-int from me, passport, driver's license, w2, ss card, healthcare coverage tax form (forgot the name) and I believe I sent in a photo of myself holding these things as they have been frustrating me for 2 months. Online I have to figure out where the bank statement can be printed as the representative has no clue, figure it out, send it. More time on hold. Now I'm waiting for a callback yet again. I wonder what they will want this time? A blood sample probably. Basically Crapital One will jerk you around and treat you complete trash. Why? Only thing I can think of is they shaved two months off my interest free period on the card. If that is not the case (which I was informed it is, but who can believe their employees) then the company is just complete crap.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I pay off my Capital One credit Card Balance off every month. About a year ago I sent 2 check payments in one envelope to Capital One. The balance would have been paid off. They reportedly only received the small check. I had to stop payment on the second check, for a fee at my bank. I was convinced to stay with Capital One.

This March, 2019, I mailed my check on 3-3-19, as of Tuesday 3-12 Capital One reportedly had not received it. (The payment would be due on 3-13 or a late charge would be applied.) The Capital One employee (who was wonderful), suggested I make a minimum payment over the phone to avoid a late fee. March 13, 2019 - I attempted to contact Capital One but their phones were not working from 12.10 pm until 1:55 pm. The call finally connected, But A recording stated there are technical difficulties. 3:55 pm, the call work and found out - only the minimum payment was made - They still have not found the check. I will once again have to eat the stop payment charge, and interest. I am currently searching other credit card options that do not include Capital One - pity they were excellent for years.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have had a Cap One Visa card for over a decade and always found their telephone reps to be knowledgeable, helpful, fluent and conversant. However, something has changed since March 2019. On previous calls to consolidate my two credit cards into one, I received the usual high-quality service I've come to expect. I was told I would have to wait until March 6th to do this since my newest card was opened last October; the card needs to be open for 6 months before I could consolidate.

When I called on March 9th, I was connected to a very poorly connected line that sounded like someone working from home. The person was not very helpful and told me that the consolidate function was temporarily unavailable. Since this was a Saturday night, I figured perhaps the best and brightest were not on duty so I tried again on Monday March 11th. Wouldn't you know I was connected to the SAME PERSON (what are the chances of that?) with the same crappy cell phone sound with the same end result. Knowing that this was not going to go well, I hung up and tried again several hours later. End result: Different person but same crappy cell phone connection. Neither of these two were very helpful or knowledgeable. They basically read from a script. What's more, it reminded me of past experiences with offshore phone banks. I can't find any info on the internet to validate my theory but something has definitely changed... and NOT for the better.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I used Capital One card for my business for years. I had someone contact me wanting to sell some items to me for my business. Was nervous that it may be a scam, so I called Capital One before I made the purchase and expressed my concerns about it may be a scammer. I was reassured to go ahead and make purchase as I would be completely covered under their fraud protection plan if I did not receive merchandise. Well, I didn’t receive the merchandise, and the seller was arrested for scamming, but Capital One would not cover this under their fraud protection plan, as I was told they would.

I requested a copy of the recorded call where I was told I would be covered and they told me, “No problem...send your written request to this address”. As expected, they will not release that recording to me after all. I am now being charged $3800 for these purchases, plus interest and late charges. I am totally disgusted with Capital One. Can never talk to the same person twice and am told a different story each time you call. NEVER EVER do business with Capital One!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Beginning in early 2018, someone has been calling in to Capital One with my SSN, and DOB, to update the mailing address on my credit card, so they can then request a new credit card. This has happened 4 times now, and Capital One has ZERO security in place to protect victims of identity theft. When I spoke with the "manager" in the fraud department, he told me that Capital One has "layered" security, but if the person calling can provide a full SSN and DOB, then they will make any updates that person requests. When I question them about why they do not offer any kind of 2 factor authentication, like just about every other company in the world, they can't give me any answers. I've spent countless hours on the phone with Capital One trying to get everything corrected each time this happens. Beyond Frustrated.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My husband and I have cards with Capital One. We recently sent in a check to payoff off the balance on his card. I sent it by Priority Mail on Monday March 4th. Per tracking, it was picked up on Thursday and now they think the check is lost. How do you lose a $3800 check once it’s in your building? As far as customer service-nonexistent. Their answer is to send them another check—seriously? If you lost one, how many does it take before you find it and post it?

Original review: March 11, 2019

Hello, My name is Anthony **. Capital One is the worst company to do business with! They are simply the worst!!! Don't get trapped. Go elsewhere. Run! Hide if you must... But do NOT go to Capital One. Why? Because when you want to cancel a recurring payment, they cannot guarantee the merchant will not charge you again in 15 months. What kind of non-arbitrary garbage is this? Pfft. Get real... There are not even any limits to the levels of disrespect and skullduggery this company is trying to convey, and sometimes...conceal.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My husband made a cash deposit in an ATM and we did not get credit. We had to file a claim and waited a week to get our money. Therefore I will never put cash in an ATM. Today I was depositing checks and the ATM did not record my deposit. It can take up to 45 days to resolve this. As soon as I get my money I am closing this account and finding a new bank. No way it should take even 24 hours to open that ATM and give me my checks back. Capital One does not care one bit about its customers.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Since Cabela's sold out to Capital "zero" card I have experienced nothing but billing errors and incompetence from C.O. customer service reps. They clearly demonstrated they do not care about customers and stated I have to prove they made mistakes! In addition, most do not even speak/understand English! Never again with C.O. and closing card and Cabela's will never get another card out of me either!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Horrible company. Not professional. Just a scam. Don't get involved with them. They harass you with advertisements, about 20 letters a month. Horrible. Then they hang up on you on the phone. It's the most difficult thing to get ahold of them. They are so unprofessional. Save your time, and do not apply. They are horrible. They don't even TRY to help you. Took me an HOUR to finally get things fixed because their employees SUCK. Especially Ben who hung up on me. Horrible man.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have been using this card for 5 years and missed one payment by mistake. They did not waive the interest charge even though I called them immediately. Horrible policy and no customer service when in need.

Original review: March 8, 2019

A charge of $5100 was put onto my card while in Mexico. I was alerted to the fact via email from Capital One. I immediately reported it as fraud but after the "investigation" they said it was not fraud and that the merchant could charge this money. Their fraud guidelines do not back their claim of no risk! DO NOT USE THIS CREDIT CARD COMPANY!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have been a loyal customer from Capital One since 2015. I paid off my credit card of $5020 BEFORE the billing cycle was due and was still charged interest. DON’T get a card from Capital One. I have never asked for anything to be waived on my account before and to be treated this way really upsets me. I will be cancelling all my cards with them.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I fell for one of their no interest 18 months loan for a small house project. I have always made my payments on time using their online payment. However, I went to make March payment and noticed the February payment didn't go through and they charged me interest plus late fees which of course now will continue. I never received any kind of notice that it didn't go through. I called and got no help but had to spend an hour to listen to the idiot read the cancellation procedure. Paid it off, done, never again will I deal with these arrogant **.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I applied for the offer of $150 rewards when the new customer spends $500 within 3 months. I spent that within the first week of receiving the card and activating it. Shortly after I received the statement and when I called to have the rewards applied to my account, I was told that they had a fraud alert on the account. That was the first I had heard of that and have NEVER experienced that with any other card. They wanted proof of who I was. I sent them 2 different documents, but when they wanted copy of my SS card I said no. The offer appears to be a scam to get new accounts with the promise of rewards, but not intend to deliver the rewards. I have filed complaint with the government consumer agency. I think this may be like the Wells Fargo scam to get new accounts. Just think of how much they will make with new accounts spending at least $500 and they have no intention to honor the rewards promised.

Capital One expert review by Beverly Harzog

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.

• Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.

• Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.

• Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.

• Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.

• Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.

• Best for: Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Capital One Company Information