Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am with Capital One Bank 24 years, actually I started with Chevy Chase Bank the same account number transferred to Capital One when they bought Chevy Chase around 10 years back. I regret that I stayed with Capital One, everyday I noticed the system efficiency, customer service, reliability & proficiency is deteriorating day by day. I would recommend to do substantial research to open account in Capital One Bank. After my long stay I am leaving Capital One. Hope you will not do the same mistake.

Capital One has a problem posting credits. I have had three credits issued to my account from three different merchants in three different months and it takes them over two weeks to post them. They claim it can take over two weeks to post. I just think they are delaying intentionally.

Had credit cards from them. The very 1st day I used the card it was restricted and then had to send in all my info such as social and ID and bill and bank info. Bank info was needed for a damn restriction from paying from my bank account and they wanted proof it was mine. Asked if they wanted a picture of my bank card too and they said, "No we want statement with account and routing number etc." Then it was OK after 2 weeks. Then another restriction that lasted 1 month ask questions after questions and say crap. Supposedly they expected fraud but come now how is that possible when I hadn't even used the card and in fact paying on them and I never make online purchases and they are always with me 24/7.

Well after a month waiting like the lady told me I called on the credit cards to see what's going on and went on listening to automated service and said all accounts were closed and I was like what the beep! No one called me nor emailed me nor sent me a mail saying why or what the heck was going on. Here I always pay my cards on time or in full and they get closed. I really feel deep done. Capital One is stealing people's socials and IDs and all their personal info for bad reasons and using Capital One to do this and after they receive all the info needed they do ** like this... I will never ever get a card through Capital One ever again.

Wow buyer beware!!! I am a business owner and made a payment late, as soon as that payment went late they jacked my interest rate to 30.15%. Wow what crooks. When I called to inquiry they said it's in the 9 page paperwork they sent. Buyer beware!!! I think they are the most dishonest company around. I have excellent credit and will pay this card off and NEVER do business with them again.

I rented a car from Budget Rent A Car and they overcharged me over $600. After unsuccessfully trying to get the company to fix the problem many times, I disputed the charge with Capital One. I sent all evidence and paperwork to Capital One within the time period given to me. After three months of back and forth between Capital One via letters and phone calls, they sent me a letter stating that the time had run out for them to do anything about the charge. I eventually was able to resolve the overpayment with Budget but only after seeking legal advice and threatening to file a lawsuit.

Capital One does not stand by their customers, in fact, they wasted my time by dragging me along giving me false hope that they were going to fix the problem and investigate appropriately. I will be paying off my credit card this week and canceling it for favor a company that stands behind their customers, especially customers who have never had a late payment and pay off their balance in full every month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Never once have we ever had any type of problems with debt. This Capital One credit card that we opened started climbing fast so we called them at about $2,500 approximate balance and said we thought there was fraud because the card started climbing fast without us using like that. They said, "Do you live in ** town"? We said, "Well I work there." They left the card opened until it went to 10,000 dollars and started high interest and late fees, etc. Now, they sold it to their collection company and we will be headed to court I'm sure shortly. But, what they don't know, we will be taking this to the top court until it's resolved. We won't stop at our local county court because, this isn't the only card that did this at the time.

Citibank also refused to take our new payment method and we did not have the original account we were having it drawn from. They said, "We can't take this from you". Funny, they had just spent the day before with my husband giving me permission to authorize them to do just that so we didn't have a problem. It was 0 percent and they were looking for a reason to do just that. Never ever missing a payment previously. I will be going all the way to federal court for this one. This is outrageous that they have the recording I requested the card shut down and they refused to give to me asking for them to stop the card. I also requested recording of this conversation for an attorney who is willing after we do debt relief to sue them because he said, "The recording is simple to prove." So, immediately after requesting, they sold the debt.

So folks, here is how it works. The debt people like Lexington Law, Ovature all help you out right? No, they place appropriate information on your behalf to give the debt collectors what they need to get your money in court. They basically give the credit card company information they need to sell your debt and then the collector takes it further. Then they take you to court. Well I found an attorney who has offered from PA, to take them all involved to court for all damages. Where is our government when you need an investigation. Mr. Trump, we need your help with this credit card company taking money and justifying.

Isn't it amazing that all of these people have chosen to have poor credit after perfect credit because a credit card can raise your rates to impossible heights and to also justify duplicating triple and double charges. I contacted the Republican Party requesting an investigation. They did take it seriously, so maybe all of you will be getting some kind of answer soon. The consumer protection bureau just takes information and doesn't follow through, so skip that step. Secondly getting any kind of help actually hurts you. Stay away from any form of "debt consolidation".

I will keep you updated, but it's all a step by step process to ruin consumers right down to local. Courts get their paid day in office too. I am ready to try living in another country at this point. We are being robbed every day without justification! I'm almost sure this site is doing the same. They all offer to help? When? This website has been the same for many years, so where are those who were helped? hahaha. Not one I'm almost sure. Oh wait, you can pay some money and then they might?

I have been receiving their stupid letter for over 6 months now. I read their brochure and not interested. I read reviews of many unsatisfied credit card holders. From that note I had no desire to be bullied by this bank. After receiving numerous letters I finally got fed up and contacted them. Usually promising to stop sending them. Never stopped. Even spoke with bubble headed management and still they send their stupid letter. This lets me know never to do business with such a corporate business. I still receive these stupid brochures. Anyone have any advice to get them to stop? They don't even have a complaint department so I was that told by management. Either they are lying or they don't want to hear how cruddy they are.

Capital One credit card services are committing fraud with reporting incorrect information to the credit agencies!! April 7, 2017 I paid the entire amount owed on the account. Capital One decides they will withhold the payment until April 13 with the most OUTLANDISH statement, "WE froze your payment because this isn't the usual method of payment you pay?!" The company has reported false information not once but twice on April 16 & 26 stating I have no available credit line, states the entire account is unpaid?! WTH?! This is a gross miscarriage in justice!! Beware of Capital One and their fraudulent processing of customers payments!! This is incomprehensible?!

When a value customer has paid their account on time and before the due date, Capital One has due diligence to post the truth and not fabricate information causing unnecessary stress upon customers who seek to keep their credit score up to par!! Should this unwanted & unwarranted behavior continue, be prepared for consequences to be rendered in a court room!! Let this be a warning to those whom wish to apply for any type of credit services with Capital One. DO NOT APPLY FOR ANY CREDIT WITH CAPITAL ONE.

Capital One is the worst card company people wants to go with. They have no sympathy for any member, no issue resolution, their interest raise every month, you will start good 'till you get to 23% Apr. I hate Capital One with a passion, their whole staff is **, supervisor are worst than agent. They send you to collection a couple days after your due date with no letter. Stay away from Capital One. That's all I can say to anyone that's planning on open a Capital One card.

Applied for a Capital One credit card on March 17, 2017 and was sent out a letter on March 22 to fax over info. Faxed over same day, called 24 hours later, was advised from a rep that received documents and was clear and wait about 10 to 15 days. Ok I waited, called then called back April 15. Almost 15 days later called back and was advised it was still in review. Ok now I'm thinking this cannot be real so I just happen to wait and today is April 25th and was advised after I call and was placed on hold for 10 min. my SSN on my application does not match what was faxed in...

That blow a fuse and asked if I can speak with a supervisor and here comes a very rude lady trying to over talk me advising my SSN does not match application. I asked her "how were you guys able to put a hard inquiry on my credit report if my SSN was not matching on my application." Had to have correct SSN. That was bull. I would have wanted you guys to just tell me I was not approved... I don't take this lightly when it come to my personal info. I'm taking this a step further...

The women that could barely speak English, was rude. I closed my account because of her. She has my social s #, email, etc. Now nothing in my life is not working. No email, etc what did she do? I know for a fact she's involved, I wanna press charges against Capital One for hiring barely speaking English crooks!!!

I had a MasterCard one month, I paid with my checking account but I missed one number, so it returned as soon as I found out, fixed and paid 250.00 on a 300.00 limit. After they received the money they closed my account, and even though I explained I am slightly dyslexic from a stroke and I have trouble with numbers, but I had sent the payment two weeks ahead and still made my payment on time. But they refused to reopen my account with no good real reason just a returned payment, and I even explained I am handicapped but they did not even care. They were all very heartless cold people who could have cared less. They just ruined a credit rating I have spent years repairing, they undid years of work over an honest mistake, I would not do business again with people who treat you so coldly. Every dept says, "I understand your problem. Sorry I can't help you."

I had been customer with them for almost 6 years. My apr is 23.57%. I call them every years to see if they can lower my interest rate but not even one time they will lower my interest rate. Can you believe that? Their purchase apr like cash advance fees apr compare to other company. Stay away from this company. They wont do no good but give a ** interest rates and cranky credit limit. Stay awayyy.

I'm glad that I reviewed your comments before getting pre-approved credit card for $2,500. It seems like they want to get your business then screw you all the way. NO thanks. I said to them, "I'm too old to get screwed by this establishment". BE WISE!

I wish I could just give 0 starts. Capital One is corrupt. I have pristine credit and never use the card, and was charged annual fees. I was told they would waive them, and once they forgot and don't have record of that promise. More recently, I was out of town and they assessed late fees on the membership fee--mind you, I never use the card, I have not used it in years but have been worried about canceling it as I did not want it to impact my credit. At any rate, when I talked with them, they promised me the late fees would not impact my credit nor would canceling the account, so they waived the late fee and membership fees and closed the account. Today, I found out my credit score went from 819 to 709 because of capital one. Nothing I did, this was all on their end. So, now I have to do a bunch of work to try and restore my credit and I never use the card. Unbelievable.

I was surprised my APR was so high after my 9% Capital One card skyrockets to almost 22%. I was using it to buy materials for a new house and getting what I thought were a nice rewards bonus, not so much. I called in to request them lower my rate and they said they could go down to 19%. I was not very happy with the 3% decrease and having no late payments, and being a loyal customer for 5 years. Paying my card off many times before and having no issues on my account whatsoever. I am pretty surprised at the company at this point with the competitive rates from other credit companies. I would have thought they would be there to take care of their loyal clientele. Unfortunately, I will most likely pay my card off and cancel Capital One. I have since educated other friends and family about this and they have looked at their statements to their surprise the same results. A 9% to 22 % APR increase and no lates or issues on their accounts.

We are all canceling our business with Cap One as a result. I am hoping there will be some heat put on this company to change their business ethic in the APR area but even lowering to 12% or 14% is high but still not as bad. This is why so many people are in debt to their credit cards and have to file bankruptcy in this country. I am thankful I am able to pay this off and terminate my relationship with Capital One. I imagine for some it would be as easy and they may not even know they are paying this much APR if they have not looked. I guess deception is the way some companies make money. I would never support that. I feel that a company like this should be a bit more crystal clear on their cards and APR negotiations. Especially after gunning for your business with a nice 9% card and bonus yet no options once you have decided to use it and run the balance up a little. See Ya Cap One!

They closed my both accounts, how their witch manager said because of "low activity", really??? I have excellent credit and never had any late payments and I used both accounts, but fortunately I have lots of other banks credit cards which have more rewards. Never again will accept anything from Capital One! Stay away from that bank.

I purchased a new $700 AV receiver from Walmart.com but the purchase was from a marketplace provider DiscountsJungle (a very unethical company). DiscountsJungle sent me a bubble wrapped used AV Receiver (not the styrofoam end caps and plastic bag protection in a new item). I attempted to setup and use it in my home theater and discovered the HDMI ports don't work. So I contact Walmart.com to return the item and request a prepaid shipping label because they didn't send new. Then, I discover that Walmart doesn't handle the return and I have to negotiate with DiscountsJungle. DiscountsJungle said their records show a new device was sent. I sent pictures of the AV receiver in bubble wrap and the remote scratched up on both sides - it was loose in the box and not in a plastic bag. From an unboxing video and online user manual, batteries were included and the end cap packaging was missing.

DiscountsJungle refused to honor my request for full refund and prepaid shipping label. This is where I filed a dispute with Capital One thinking they would help like so many times I've disputed similar situations with my other credit card company Chase. The Capital One dispute process is a complete joke and they blame Visa for the bad process which is **.

First they act like a normal credit dispute- crediting your account and asking Walmart/DiscountsJungle for information. Weeks go by. Then, Capital sends me a email saying the dispute is considered closed, they charge back the $700 and the documentation is coming to me in the snail mail which I can respond to it then - keep in mind Capital One hasn't requested any documentation from me yet but they consider the case closed. Then the letter is so discouraging against continuing the dispute(attached). They request among other things a second opinion on whether it is used or not from a store/business on their letterhead and have them check the HDMI ports. I'm speechless - they think I'm making this up?? That I'm trying to scam them? Again, Capital One has not looked at my evidence.

So I take a deep breath and look at the documents sent in the snail mail and two of the pages are illegible. So, I call back and request better copies of what was sent. Get this, they said they can't send them again even after speaking with a manager. The customer rep Daniel couldn't even read the two pages. Is this reasonable dispute resolution?? So, finally after 45 mins on the phone, the rep called Walmart.com to request better copies of the pages. This is where a respectable company acts like one and it was Walmart. Quiana told Capital One how to retrieve the pages again but with Quiana on the phone I went over the whole story. Quiana said to hold on while she talks with DiscountsJungle. It took 10 mins - DiscountsJungle would not take it back with refund even though Walmart offered to pay return shipping.

From what I've read and experienced, DiscountsJungle sends defective or used products to 20% of their customers and charges restocking fees or refuses return. I really think this is DiscountsJungle's business model. And, they are taking advantage of Capital One's outrageous dispute process. The good news is Quiana came back from speaking with DiscountsJungle with the same impression I had and she fully refunded the $700 to my charge card and said I'm free to do whatever I want with the broken AV receiver. Until Quiana's help, my thoughts on Walmart were in line with DiscountsJungle. But, I will definitely use Walmart.com again but maybe not the marketplace vendors- haha.

Summary: Capital One's dispute process is outrageous and I won't be using them much in the future. DiscountsJungle is highly unethical and Walmart.com should not allow them to continue as a marketplace seller. Many complaints have been registered against DiscountsJungle and I would recommend NEVER buying from them. Sorry for the long post.

Recently I began receiving emails in regards to someone else's account. Same last name, different first name and I called and was on hold for almost 2 hours going back-and-forth with different people trying to figure out what I was going to do next. It's very concerning because just recently I had looked into applying for a credit card with Capital One however decided to go with someone else.

At this point and very scheduled out as I have already been given three emails in regards to this person's account. I was given an abuse at Capital One email address to send these emails to in order to get it to stop, however it is yet stop. I receive my fourth email and send them a 30 email in regards to having this end. I never received an email back and it still continues. I'm tired of this. I feel unsafe. This company makes me feel as though they are insecure and derelict in their duty. For a company who holds people security and peoples emails it makes me feel as though they don't care about the people they could hurt.

I received a past due charge for late payment on May 5th...today is April 10th. That put my account negative. So then they charge me another fee for that. I call customer service, ask them what's happening with my account. I explain I made two payments in Feb totaling almost 400.00 one at the beginning of the month and one your days before the end of the month. I was told I have a window of 3 days from the 5th through the 8th. If I pay sooner it is too soon and will not be applied to the next month. If it's past the 8th I get a late fee. The 400.00 worth of payments has been completely erased by their fees. There is no point in paying them! They refused to do anything about the late charges. Or set anything right! Consumers have no way to protect themselves against these horrific business practices. IT'S NOT RIGHT!!!

So about a month ago I call to see if my payment posted for one of my credit cards with them in which I took out a loan to pay off. I was told that my cc was used for fraud charges and was turned off. Cool, awesome. So fast forward to Today... I had to make a payment after paying off the credit card of $861.00 and they tell me it's still under investigation and I need to fill out the forms for the investigation which they never sent and then said they put a hold on investigation until I send them in.

They have been holding my money and been making me make payments even though the card is paid off. I was told to calm down which I didn't. In fact I went off. "How dare you. You have charged me double what I paid and still asking for more!?" I still haven't gotten my credit back of what the person paid. They still haven't told me about details of investigation and I still don't know when all this will be final. Capital One is horrible. They are holding my money hostage, they do not follow up with their clients and after this I'm cutting both cards off. I'm sick of the ignorance. I'm tired of the runaround. I'm fed up with the empty promises. Capital one is officially dead to me and everyone I told about my situation.

I get three letters a week from these people where I am "pre-approved" for a $35,000.00 auto loan but I can't get a credit limit increase on my Capital One credit card. It seem that they will loan someone an amount that lets the car dealers make $5000 and them as financiers make $5000 over the course of a loan but a $500 credit limit increase on a credit card is out of the question.

I have had my card for less than a month and already regret the decision to open it. After not using credit cards for over 5 years, I opened one solely for the purpose of business expenses after I changed jobs. I read ratings prior to applying for the card, and it was praised for being a great means in building your credit score. In addition to the ease in building great credit, the 1.5% cash back is what appealed to me the most given the amount of business expenses I incur.

Because of my low credit limit and volume of use, I am essentially required to make frequent payments in order to even utilize the card. For reference, it's easy for me to rack up $1000 in one week due to the amount of business travel. My first two payments were somewhere to the tune of $350 and $750 and were paid within a couple weeks of each other. Payments made before 8 pm post same-day. Payments made after 8 pm post next-day, and funds are supposed to be available the day after a posted payment.

So, I made my $750 payment on a Friday after 8 pm on March 31; it posted on April 1. I attempted to use my card on the evening of April 2 to purchase airline tickets for travel the same week. It was declined. After calling customer service they informed me that my funds were on hold until April 5 because I had already made a payment that month. I explained that it is used solely for business purposes and I have to make frequent payments in order to utilize my card to the extent that I do. Given that this was a Sunday evening, they were unable to verify with my bank that my payment had cleared. Fine.

A few days had passed and I had not attempted to use my card since. I had not logged into my account to verify that my funds were available, but I assumed that on April 5 the hold would be released since that was the date they initially gave me. I attempted to check into a hotel late on April 5 using my card, and it was again declined. After the customer service agent received an earful he said, "Your funds are set to release at 8 am tomorrow but if you need it now I can forward you to the department that will take care of that." Yes, I need it now! I was transferred to another agent who called my bank to verify that the funds had cleared. She verified that my payment cleared and posted on April 3. TWO DAYS PRIOR!

If you're not familiar with how the financial market works, companies take your payment and reinvest it back into the market and earn interest on it. The longer they have your payment earning interest before releasing funds back to you, the more money they make. While a day or two in the market may not earn much for one person, imagine compounding this by the millions of people who utilize these companies. Capital One is profiting from that frequent 10-day hold that is placed on your account while they "wait for the payment to clear." While I understand that a hold until a payment clears may be necessary, the fact that they continue the hold after the payment has cleared should be illegal, especially when a profit is involved. You can be absolutely certain that as soon as you swipe that card the available credit is adjusted down... but hey, forget about getting your funds for a week or more.

Anyway, once my bank verified the payment posted I was told my funds were available for immediate use. I am fervently typing this review because after purchasing two more round trip airline tickets on my card tonight (April 8) I decided to check my Capital One account to verify that they in fact released my funds. The airline said my reservation was confirmed, however my account still says I have $83 in available credit. The same thing happened last week after "purchasing" tickets. The reservation was confirmed initially, but I received an email from Capital One thereafter telling me my transaction was declined, leaving me in reservation limbo and requiring subsequent calls to the airline to pay with a different card.

The fact that my available credit still says $83 worries me that the hold was never released. If I get another email saying my transactions were declined I. AM. GOING. TO. LOSE. MY. **. I have missed out on cash back for at least $2000 in eligible purchases in the past month. Save yourself the time and headache and do not do business with these crooks.

I had my card with them for about 2 months and used less than $70. As of today, I owe them $180. I tried logging into their online site, but to only be denied. I didn't get a statement in the mail to see my transactions or a bill. I had to ask for a statement that cost me $2. I sent in a payment via money order 'cause I don't trust giving out my banking info. They constantly calling my phone starting at 8am and my caller i.d on my call always says... suspected spam. This company needs to be reported to the Federal Gov't..

I have a few Capital One accounts and I was trying to build my credit. I have a Capital One 360 savings and checking account. I also have a Capital One Investing account. I have a Platinum credit card and recently acquired a Quicksilver card. Payments went well until I paid my entire balance down to zero ($486). Then they put a hold on my account. Okay, no problem. I called them and we did a three way conference call to my other bank (Wells Fargo) and got it straightened out. Then without me ever using my card, fraud prevention locked my account the next day. They said I had to verify my identity.

After going through their verification process over the phone, they wanted me to send in additional information to confirm my identity. I said all my other accounts are the same person and I paid both credit cards from the same account on the same day. They insisted that this particular account was the only one having problems. I told them to close the account since I already paid it off which they did. Now they're asking for a $39 membership fee (this is April 7th) which is putting my account with a negative balance.

My account history clearly shows I paid my $39 membership fee on March 14th. I only had this card for a month so how can they charge 2 annual membership fees in 1 month's time? It's the weekend so I'll update when I call them on Monday. I am closing all my accounts with this predatory business and will be sticking with other accounts. I don't trust banks and this just proves why I mainly avoid them. I just figured I'd give them a chance. I was wrong.

I've been a customer with Capital One for years and never late on my payment. I overpaid my credit card and have a credit in my balance. What they did was sent the refund check with the amount back to me but I never get a check. So I had to call them but they kept on giving me the different day that the check was sent me to and told me that it take up to 10 business day which is ok and then I waited, call back again. This time they told me that it take up to 15 business day, I'm tired of different story every time... This is a big corporation and they somehow can't fix the problem, all they have to do is cancel the check and do a refund to my checking account... I spoke with the senior account her name is Bonnie, she's RUDE!!! As soon as I get my refund... I will NEVER again do any business with capital one ever again.

I paid on my credit card $150 what should have gave me a balance of at least $60. They were credited me $65. My husband tried to use the card and got declined which was very embarrassing. I called in and said I was going to make a payment of $100. They would refund the $65 of late fees. The next day my husband tried to use his card and he got declined. I called. They told me that the card was restricted and that the $65 was revoked, we cannot use the card and they do not know when they can remove the restrictions. They do not inform you or tell you that your card is restricted until you have paid. I am very unsatisfied with them. I called to fix the situation and was informed that it was revoked and we cannot use the card and they do not have a date when we can use it. Granite we paid this with paying rent at the same time. They have no respect for their customers to inform them. I would not use them again.

Please do not sign up with this company. I have paid on time with this company and received an increase. Some fraud happened on my acct, so I call and Patricia with Capital One, Work ID ** told me there was nothing they could do about a fraud on a secured card. They canceled my card and would not even offer to help fix the issue.

My payment Hx was clear and I was not due for a payment but because my purse was stolen along with my phone someone made a large payment on the mobile app and Wells Fargo being the awesome bank that they are sent that fraud payment back to Capital One so it look like I have a balance over my limit given and after paying and working so hard to build my credit. Jennifer again said there was nothing they could do. I asked her to show me that policy and she said she could not so I'm politely getting ready to open up a legal case on Capital One for discrimination and Neglect against Fraud. Never ever deal with them, you have been warned!

Misgendered, dead-named, put on hold for 20+ minutes then disconnected. Called back, third employee wouldn't reconnect me with previous person, had to go over everything two more times all the while being misgendered and dismissed. Ridiculous. They literally have the information in their hands and refuse to update the second account when they updated the first one from the same page.

I purchased some materials from Fairbank Lumber who didn't deliver the items. I asked Capital One to reverse the charges on my credit card as it's an obvious case of fraud from a dodgy company. The Capital One located in Scarborough Ontario is a joke of an operation and the Manager "David" is rude and nasty. Their Complaints division sits next to their ombudsman. There is no chance of a fair resolution to a complaint. These Banksters are only accountable to their profits. When they advertise what's in your wallet. Their only interest is to steal your money. Rotten to the core.

Compare Credit Cards