2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5
Based on 1,990 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

BOTTOM LINE

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

PROS

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

CONS

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Top Capital One Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just announce[d] a breach, which really sucks, but for now, I am staying put with them.

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should close the account, no closing or hidden fees.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I was very pleased with the availability of this card and how quickly it was approved. I found the process of getting it to be a little tedious. It was approved online, then I had to wait to get a letter through registered mail where I had to go to the post office and provide identification. After that I received the card and again had to wait for the pin to come in the mail. Finally I was able to activate it. Then I had to pay $59/annual fee! I understand the importance of keeping a step ahead of the thieves, but it took a really long time between the approval and the ability to use it! I think the fee is pretty high considering the lack of benefits, but it is a reestablishing credit type card, so I’m grateful for the opportunity.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I appreciate Capital One for acknowledging me as a person and not just one of million of card holders. You know how it is when family can base your character on your past. I had a horrible year 2019, car accident, therapy, etc. so I had a difficult time keeping up with my payments, two out of 3 cards were restricted, including my precious biz card that I worked so hard for. I've had these accounts for approx 5 years or more in good standing prior to 2019. Different than a couple of my other card companies with the same history, same faithfulness, they didn't care, immediately sent my accounts to collections. My good score plummeted over 140 points to 540. Capital One did not leave me high and dry. I called in and the CSR told me my accounts were restricted. I had no idea what that meant, but after talking more with her, it was over, a done deal with the credit.

I asked for a Credit Manager and when I explained what occurred to me (she has no idea that the car accident and therapy was very small part of what I was dealing with as a single mom), she advocated on my behalf. I have no idea what department she was speaking with, but each step of the way while on the call she was considerate, returning to inform me that she was still on the call and continuing to attempt to get my cards reinstated. Finally after 30 minutes, it was all done, she did it!!!

My accounts were reinstated and I was in a position to pay down the balances that were at least $500 - $1k over their limits. I figured, heck if a company can do this for me, I have no problem giving what is owed to them, fees and all. I will forever be dedicated to Capital One and if I have nothing else in my wallet, it's OK. So now I am rebuilding my business, helping my daughter to return to college and pay my basic rent. THANK YOU CAPITAL ONE for being human..

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2020

I was lucky enough to call in to Capital One for assistance with questions and concerns regarding my pre-approval and I had the pleasure of working with a rep named Hema **. This representative went above and beyond to make sure that all of my questions were answered and that I was well taken care of. What could have been an extremely stressful process was made so easy and seamless that it truly made myself and my husband feel like we were being specially cared for. Not only did she do her job beyond expectations but she actually took interest in me, as a person, and she paid attention to our conversation as if I was a part of her family.

She waited patiently with me while I got my husband on the line, as he was working during our call and not able to come to the phone immediately, and she was fast and efficient so as to not take up too much of his time. I have NEVER in my life had such a memorable customer experience... to top it all off she even sent us a surprise gift to show just how much she CARED and paid attention (as the gift was relevant to our interaction - a picture frame for my husband and I who were recently married). It’s funny how people say “it’s the little things”... but it’s TRUE! Hema has set the bar extremely high for all of my future interactions with customer service reps... because she was just so exceptionally great. CAPITAL ONE, I hope you know you have one outstanding representative, take good care of her because she is definitely taking great care of your customers and because of her I will likely ALWAYS be a Capital One Customer!

Original review: March 24, 2020

I've always hated the 5 star system, because to me you either love them (5) or not (1). That is how I see it. If I am a longtime customer of a company and I have been a good consumer, then of course anyone would expect for that company to help out in a sitch like ours, today. I talked with Steve at the call center today regarding my 2 open accounts and the APRIL payments that I WILL have a problem paying, due to being laid off work. I appreciate the consideration and help that they offered to me. I thank the company as a whole, for taking it on a case by case basis when determining assistance. GREAT JOB Steve and CAP1!

Original review: March 17, 2020

I had multiple credit cards and accounts and a perfect payment history for years, then one month my direct deposit didn't go in and none of my bills get paid, I found the issue had it fixed but things quickly spiraled since it wasn't fixed right away, I contacted all my creditors and out of four only two worked with me. Capital One was exceptional in reaching out to me and offering numerous ways to get back on track, easy plans and even gave me the option of suggesting to them what I could do which I did not take advantage of. I took one of their offers and In two months was back on track, I was still overdrawn but my payments were back on track, once a plan was set they didn't charge me any overdraft fees, late fees, I was only charge the first non-payment fees from the two missed payments before my deposits were fixed and my regular interest.

The two other cards said before i could have a payment plan I had to be at least three months behind in payments, by then the cards doubled my balances with fines and fees so I let them charge off but kept the two that worked with me. When my friends and family get credit card offers I always tell them go with Capital One. I'll never give it up, they were wonderful, understanding and didn't make me feel worse than I already felt.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

So I am widowed and disabled and I used to be able to pay my credit cards on time until Covid19 hit and my hearing was delayed twice but anyhow I got approved back in December 2020 and I just got my back pay and paid all my credit cards off in full And guess what Capital One did to me?! They lowered my credit limit and even shut off my checking account after I deposited 100.00 in it. I think I am being discriminated against for real. This was no fault of mine yet here they are punishing me after they ruined my FICO score. I put 3 of my 5 cards right in the freaking shredder because if I can't pay with my debit card or cash then I don't need their damn cards after what this place did to me! I am furious! Don't ever bank with this place especially now. Was this Covid19 my fault? Nope. Thank God for Biden because at least he gives us food stamps SMDH. Dems keep them poor and always at war..I'm so salty right now..

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

So booking housing for frontline healthcare and the housing was $388.90 over my card limit. The person on the phone would not work with me at all. It's very frustrating and felt racism was at work....

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Worst customer service by Capital One during a pandemic!!!!! The worst! Not helpful & NOT ethical. Miscommunication, lazy! Do not assist a customer with an issue. Capital one Actually referred to a merchant as liars and then sided with them in a dispute after I obtained written resolution.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Nowhere in the terms and conditions does it say that you cant have a credit card w/ Capital One if you have had charges in the past. I was approved for a card and have used it. They decided to close it because I have had drug charges in my past. That has nothing to do with my card that I pay on time. This is discriminating and nowhere did they ask could they do a criminal background check on me or did I approve it. Wouldn't this be illegal? They said they have investigators investigating all applicants now. Has everyone signed a criminal background check with capital one? Very unprofessional service. I would not suggest using this company.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I have been a Capital One customer for over 18 years and up until about 3 years ago they were great, the best, I used no other card and I had plenty. Now the customer service is just awful, I'm disgusted every time I have to call them and since Covid and new technology I have more fraud on my credit card than ever before. Capital One says they're on your side and going to resolve issues but they don't. I now use any other card, Capital One rewards are not worth the hassle you will go thru when a problem hits you and your card.

Capital One Company Information