Disclosures

3.7/5 (1496 ratings)

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Top Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Verified

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just...

Verified

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should cl...

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I've been banking with Capital One for years. I've had no negative experiences and I find that customer service goes above and beyond. If you're deciding which bank to go with for a checking account, do yourself a favor and pick capital one. Keep in mind that the Capital One Credit Card is a partner company, and not as fantastic as checking/saving with C1. The credit cards are mostly 'meh.'

Original review: April 12, 2022

I would start by saying Capital one is the best card company out there for middle class struggling trying to repair their credit. I found them to be the best for me. No Annual fee. A little high on the interest side but approved is what we all want. A fresh start. A chance for the hardworking American. I have always been approved when others say sorry. Nope. Capital one says, "Hell Ya."

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I've had a Quicksilver card for a bit over a year now. I always keep my balance about 2% on report day. My score jumped about 70 points in one year always paying off my charges as soon as they post. I pay as I go because I do my shopping mostly online. Their app lets you link bank accounts so you can pay electronically. The cashback is very simple, there is no programming necessary. Cash rewards come up by itself. I use mine for a statement credit although they can be applied to Amazon purchase or gifts card. You can enter the Capital One lounges with the World Elite Quicksilver card at DIA and upcoming airports. Capital One won't let their customers get head over heels in credit card debt with the Quicksilver because it is necessary to pay between charges.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

They offered me the card without fees due to already having the basic, paying on time, etc. With a $700 limit. No biggie. OK. Then I realized today that I have a 0% APR and that when I do pay an APR it's a little lower than the other card. Kinda made my day. I normally keep a low balance, but this year has been rough and I'm so grateful I've had these cards to rely on. I've got a lot to pay back, but it's worthwhile considering the struggle it could have been. And because of C1, I've now got a few other cards with low APR, my credit is growing and I'll be able to get a good home loan soon instead of the high rate loans that were thrown at me before. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

Insane, even in the fraud department I can't get a rep that speaks and or comprehends English. Dealing with the most simplest of things is a complete nightmare with this company. They just told me that if the car rental company that robbed me, emails me every 14 days, there is nothing Capital One will do to help me get back the money that was robbed from me. No joke, I have this phone call recorded.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I had the worse customer experience with them. I didnt receive my credit card in over a month. I tried to get a new one but they made it so difficult to get a new one. They said I would need to verify myself with uploaded documents that would take another 7-10 business day. It was very frustration knowing they could have verifed me by any other way but choose not to.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Did little or nothing to assist when my account was hacked. Their system did not pick up multiple Oklahoma charges even though I live in CA and have never been to OK. Clearly hacked by an employee as the debit card fraudulently used was in my desk drawer and had NEVER been used by me. Told me to wait 10 days to have $1000 theft reviewed.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

My credit is impeccable. Never been late. I was a great customer to Capital One, pity that we end on such a bad note. Liars! They said they would refund me the 95$ fee when I canceled the card the same month the fee was due. They did NOT. They lied. When I called the guy said, "Oh well. Nothing we can do."

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I order a Quick Silver credit card from Capital One that offered a $200 sign up bonus after I spent $500 in 3 months. I met their requirement and never received the $200. I called them 5 times and received incorrect information after wasting about 45 minutes per call. I finally talked to a supervisor (so she said) and I was told that I didn’t qualify for the $200 and she couldn’t tell me why. I was never notified before I received the card that I didn’t qualify. Do not fall for Capital One’s bait and switch program and go with a reputable company’s credit card.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

Capital One appears to be intentionally obfuscating the dispute process. Summary: After 1.5 years of repeated checking and document submission, I have been told that this case was disqualified from the start for being 10 days late to a deadline for which I had no notification.

1 - The merchant submitted false information to dispute the chargeback request.
    2 - Capital One did not notify me of a short deadline, by which to submit additional evidence.
    3 - I called Capital One and was told to submit more information through email, which I did.
    4 - No notifications were given, I called Capital One and was instructed to send more information through email.
    5 - I have been following up on this case periodically for 1.5 years.

6 - Again, no notifications. I called Capital One today to follow up and they told me, upon their review, THAT I HAD MISSED THE VERY FIRST DEADLINE BY 10 DAYS and the entire case was disqualified to continue from that point.

I have been repeatedly asked to submit information for 1.5 years, for no reason. I have been told that customers who opt-in for electronic documents are never notified, but that the responsibility falls on my shoulders. (They said I should be frequently checking for documents within a hidden part of the phone app.) Stay away.

Capital One Company Information