Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is the worst bank I have ever seen. They had offered me a credit card with additional credit line increase if I make payments on time for 5 months. For first 2 month I had paid my bills manually and opted for auto payments. Unfortunately Auto pay didn't work for that month and realized that next day after payment date. I had made payment immediately and charged me late fee. I got an email from Capital One stating that I had missed payment and however, they will increase the credit line if I make payments on time for 5 months. So totally 8 months wait. This bank is cheat and make great insults to customers. Best way to avoid this frustration is try searching other banks and they make you much better deal than this stupid bank. I will stop using this credit card and switch to good banks like Bank of America.

Okay, once you read this I think you would agree on how crazy this situation is. I have a 745 credit score to be exact. Get TONS of junk mail from Capital One asking to apply for a new card. Ignored most of the time. But this time in question I started to have an obsession of wanting a credit score over 800 in particular closer to 850 as possible. Why? No reason in particular, some people collect stamps, some collect lint, I want the highest credit score possible. Apply online, get notice that additional information is needed to verify my identity. Print out letter, copy of drivers license & social security card NOTARIZED, mail certified mail. They receive, long wait, no follow. Call them asking what's going on? Said, "Oh... we'll get back to you in a few days."

Week and half go by from the time I called in, then receive e-mail that said, "Congratulations you've been approved and your card is on its way!" Okay great... waiting game. About 6 days from that point I receive card. I go home and activate on computer via instructions. Once logged into account, fraud in red is written all over the place. I go maybe I did it wrong. Call activation number instead. After it said, "Thank you for activating it" immediately transferred me to fraud department. I was talking to aforementioned department for 1 hour and 22 minutes! They wanted me to submit my ID yet again, submit my SS Card yet again! This time they also wanted to see my bank statement, to see if name and address is as stated. It was. But I didn't show rest of statement because it had my purchases, bank balance etc.

So now it went from verifying identity to, "Let us see your entire bank statement" EVEN THOUGH it has nothing to do with the identity. In what is showed, name, address, bank phone number, account number etc., etc., etc. Why do you need to see my purchases? Quite interesting that after this experience I called a buddy who has a Capital One card and a $3500 credit line. Tons of delinquent crap in history, credit score 630. And not very credit worthy by his own words. I make almost double what he makes in a year (a bit over 67k). My credit report is squeaky clean, no debt, no negatives, not anything but stellar. BUT there is a difference between my buddy and I. A very specific difference. I wasn't going to go here BUT when you cancel out everything that can be possible you have to start to consider other areas of concern.

And that is race. My buddy has a very "American" name, and he is **. I have a very ethnic name and am native and look it (mentioning since fraud rep. seemed to show more suspicion AFTER seeing my driver's license picture, asking to see bank balance, purchases etc.). They are supposed to call me on Tuesday 06/13 to let me know IF I'm actually approved. If they don't call then I'm going to call them on Wednesday 06/14. Will update review at that time.

I reported the car stolen and Capital One did not reimburse $1400 on my account. They offer 0 percent liability but in this case they did care and made pay 1400 dollars that some idiot spent at Bloomingdale's. Be careful. They will leave you hanging. Thank you.

Capital One are a bunch of straight out crooks. I had a situation in which a rental company fraudulently took $800 out of my Cap 1 card with a forged signature as they claim they had given me a deal that was too good. I charged back and provided Cap 1 with all email correspondence, flight ticket stubs, flight and car bookings. Basically the rental company added 7 days to my rental. Even though I booked my flight tickets ages ago (why would I rent a car for 7 days beyond my stay in the country?), my emails and original booking was for 21 days and not 28 days.

After getting all the evidence Capital One refused my claim, and had the nerve to say that I probably changed my mind in the middle of my business trip, and was planning to stay for an extra 7 days, and then changed my mind again. This of course I did over the phone with the rental company. This airhead of an employee actually used this logic to support the merchant's fraud. I cut it up and never used them again. I have great credit and rack up over $10K a month on my personal and business cards. Too bad Capital One will never ever see a dime of it.

I am so livid. I had gotten an offer that I thought stated it was 0% interest on a balance transfer for 15 months as well as purchases. Great. I was approved and when I got the card called and activated it. Again, verified with the rep that it was 0% on balance transfers. She stated I had to wait 11 days. Great, fell a week before my payments with balance transfer cards were due.

I go to do the transfer and the rep tells me is 19% interest. I get on the line with a supervisor to have the call reviewed and he states he's going to do some research and puts me on hold. Comes back and states due to the original application he can't honor what the rep told me. So not only have I lost a week waiting for the card to arrive... 11 days to do the balance transfer now I'm being charged interest on my other card because they couldn't honor the 0% interest. I ended up going with Bank of America and had my balance transferred for 0% for 12 months. Would never deal with them again. Terrible service that doesn't follow through on their promises.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

This bank (if you can call them that?) doesn't know how to treat the senior citizens of this country with respect. I have been with them for many years and without notice my interest rate went from 19.99 to 39.99. I can't afford that and they think there is nothing I can do about it. I'll pay my credit card off and tell everyone that I come into contact with how terrible they are. NEVER TRUST THIS BANK!!!

So when talking to a customer service after being on hold for a second time after they hung up on me the first time I waited about 30 minutes so that I could find out why I could not access my online account. When I finally got on to only find that my account is restricted and no one can tell me why I can't get it off restriction until they say or until I pay it off. Don't make any sense since I have been making my payments. What a load of ** crap for them to do that and not give a really reason why they won't unrestrict it. Really great banking services not ** customer service skills at all on how to fix or address the problem to make it right for the consumer but I guess that is too difficult for them to do. PS. Go back to school and maybe you will learn better people and business skills but then again that might be too much to ask for. Peace. I'm out.

Today, June 1st, 2017 at 5:47 PM I went to my Capital One Bank in Journal Square, Jersey City and I was extremely happy with the service provided by Ms. Sandra! I had an issue and she was very professional and helpful. REF: **. She is an OUTSTANDING employee at Capital One Bank who did everything possible to help me today. Great Job!

Terrible customer service experience speaking with Labarbera agent ** in Virginia. A general customer service issue that we contacted them in prior was not completed. This agent was not helpful nor would she transfer the call to her supervisor as I requested. Very displeased with this agent and the fact multiple calls on one issue have to be made. Still yet to be resolved.

I've been a customer with Capital One since 2008. I have perfect credit and I've always made my payments on time, and yet they closed my account with no notice. I was trying to get gas this morning when my card was declined. I called to see what the problem was and they said that they closed my account due to my account not meeting their "expectations of personal, family, or household purposes". They said that they sent me a letter about it yesterday, but that it wouldn't have made it to me yet, which they said was the only reason they were willing to even tell me about it because I hadn't actually been notified about it yet. I tried to find out what they meant that I wasn't using my account for personal use, and they wouldn't tell me anything about it. I asked to talk to a manager and they said it would be 24-48 hours before someone would contact me.

I just think that this is poor customer service and I really feel like they have a complete disregard for their customer relationships. What if I didn't have any other way of paying for my gas this morning? I would've been stranded at the gas station. And why? Because Capital One decided that they didn't like the purchases I've made? I don't get it. At least let me know that you're closing my account ahead of time so you don't put me in a bad situation when I'm counting on being able to use my credit card. It's ridiculous. I think they just didn't feel that they were getting enough interest out of me, so they closed my account. I won't ever do business with them ever again, for credit cards or otherwise.

My bank returned 2 payments even though the money was available in my account. Capital One closed my account. I provided proof of the incorrect returns. Capital one didn't even considered it was at no fault of my own. And why not restrict me to cash in bank / money order / certified check / Western Union or Moneygram payments only. It doesn't make sense. I'm not the bank or the banking computer.

Here's a fascinating (in my view at least) interaction I just completed with Capital One. Back Feb 23, 2017, I received a slew (15 in all) of fraudulent charges on my Capital One credit card. All were for exactly $3, all on the same day, and all from someone's named **. To Capital One's credit, the charges were immediately flagged as fraudulent. They sent me a text asking me to confirm one of the charges and of course I replied back that it was fraudulent. I immediately called them on the phone and declared all of the $3 charges to be fraudulent. Capital One then said that they would deactivate the card, send me a new card (it would arrive in 7 to 10 business days), and credit the charges back to the account while the fraud charges were "investigated."

Four days later, I received 17 more fraudulent charges (for slightly different amounts this time) on the new card that I hadn't even received yet. So again I called Capital One and reported all of the charges as fraudulent. I then asked the question: Did Capital One mail the new card already activated? Capital One says no. But of course that doesn't explain how the new fraudulent charges managed to appear on the new card that I had not yet received. It seems that the likely explanation is either 1) they didn't deactivate the old card, 2) they did ship the new card activated, or 3) activating/deactivating cards is a meaningless exercise that doesn't really do anything. My guess is that number 3 is closest to the truth. This is only my opinion mind you, but I can't think of anything else that fits the facts. I guess it's possible that Capital One's processes are simply ineffective.

Regardless, we repeat the same process. New card deactivated, charges refunded pending “investigation”, and a new new card (hereinafter to be known as new card #2) mailed (this time expedited in 2 business days, received on or about March 5th honestly, I don't remember exactly when). I received new card #2 and (like a good little consumer) went through the steps of “activating” the card using their website. In the meantime, Capital One also said that they “would block the vendor that the fraudulent charges were coming from” on my account. But by this time I wasn't sure where the real fraudulent activity was occurring (was it on Capital One's system? Some other store? On Google's system?), so I did not use new card #2 AT ALL anywhere. Not online, not at a local store, nowhere (also, remember, I had never even received new card #1).

On March 10th, as well as one day before I think, new card #2 received yet another batch of fraudulent charges FROM THE SAME VENDOR. Remember, this is on a card never used anywhere from a vendor Capital One said they would block. So I called Capital One, disputed the charges, yada yada yada. New card #3 on its way. This time I told Capital One don't bother expediting the card, I wasn't going to be using it for the foreseeable future anyway. Also, during this call the person I was talking to said that Capital One doesn't have the ability to block a vendor from a single account. So then, yet another lie from my previous call? The person I was talking to said it would be a great idea but it wasn't possible right now. Whatever.

In the meantime, Capital One had refunded all of the charges (with the caveat that the refunds were temporary pending their investigation (or investigations? I don't know for sure). For a while, my balance was negative $88.15. The negative balance came from yet another mistake made by Capital One. According to them, they refunded the charges, then the vendor refunded the same charges, which doubled the credit I received. I was perfectly happy to let the account sit just like that, but eventually Capital One's computer decided to send me a check for the negative balance. I received the paper check and cashed it (because, after all, the check had an expiration date and I would have been happy to send them the money back again if I wasn't owed the money).

So this brings us up to this week. Today Capital One sends me a text stating that my current balance is $88.15. This, on a card that I hadn't ever used. So I sign into the account and found that Capital One had reactivated 33 of the fraudulent charges with the notation “ADJ” (which stands for adjusted). So I called Capital One up again (It's on my speed dial these days) and asked what was going on. The first person I talked to immediately told me that the charges had been determined to have either been made by me or by someone close to me and were therefore valid. Needless to say, that did not sit with me very well. So I said that I needed to talk with their supervisor.

The next person said that the charges were reinstated because they had overpaid the refund and that this was their way of getting the money back. I said that, "Fine, charge me something to the effect that an adjustment needed to be made, but don't do it by making a fraudulent charge look like it was legitimate." He disagreed and so on to his supervisor.

Bottom line, I went through 4 people. The first said the charges were reinstated because they were valid charges “made by me or by someone close to me”, the rest stated that they were trying to get the extra $88.15 back and that this was the only way to do it. I said that it was an unacceptable method because it made the fraudulent charges technically valid and that it would make it impossible for me to dispute any future similar charges as fraudulent. Considering Capital One's track record concerning these charges, that was a real concern of mine. Unfortunately, no one at Capital One agreed with my assessment (or maybe in truth their system simply doesn't allow for them to do it any other way and they were stuck having to cover the $88.15).

I decided I could not take the risk that future fraudulent charges of the same nature would come into the account (a high possibility, after all it happened three times already), and therefore be forced to argue with Capital One about their validity (while their computer showing all of the previous fraudulent charges reinstated). Consequently, I have closed that credit card account. I actually have 6 more accounts with Capital One. I am in the process of closing all of them. I can't say whether this (in my view) fiasco should affect your decision as to whether to do business with Capital One or not. But I can say that if Capital One is being truthful that all they were trying to do was get back the $88.15 and that this was the only way to do it, then they need a better system (they should get better customer service while they are at it, too).

And they have still not unexplained (at least to me) exactly where was the security issue? Considering that the last batch of fraudulent charges was on an account that should not have had any visibility whatsoever to anyone or any company, one has to wonder if Capital One's system is all that secure (do they actively advertise new accounts to vendors? If so, why? If not, how did anyone get the new card number? It had only ever been used on their website, and even then the number was never entered, it was just activated. Or maybe deactivating a card doesn't really do anything? Any future fraudulent charges simply pass right on through to the new number?). There are a LOT of unanswered question here.

While dealing with them I got the distinct impression that they weren't all that concerned about the fraudulent charges showing up on my account (I specifically spoke of this feeling with them on my third call at length). Yes, they refunded the charges, but they made sure I knew it was only temporary, and they didn't seem too concerned that it kept happening. It does seem to me that they got very concerned when they wanted their $88.15 back, however. Just saying.

After a few months of using the card, I went to S America. Upon return, noticed a couple charges I didn't recognize. I asked Capital One to send me a new card and tear the one I took to S America, as I suspected fraud. Once I got the new card, I spoke to the people with the suspicious charges, who I found out were after all legit (they had used other vendor's portal for the charges but were OK).

I kept paying my card, but after a while, I got notice from Capital One that I had lapse a couple payments. This was not possible, as I had paid them huge sums (up to $17,300) and was never behind. Apparently Capital kept the old card open, and never consolidated the credit cards under one payment so the new payments never got to the old card. I asked them to correct this, but they refused unless I sent them my copy of my electric bill, their account activity bill, my driver's licences, my Social security card and copy front and back of my credit card with capital one. I didn't have my social sec card, but wanted to send the rest documents by fax. I told them that in order to send the fax, I had to hang up as my land line can't send faxes while I am on the line. The rude employee said that if I don't send him my social sec card front and back, he won't help me.

Since this started in March, and nothing has been fixed, and although I spoke to at least 12 people (all their names are enclosed in the documented complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau). I told the rude supervisor named NICK ED# ** to close my account, for not only they ruined my credit (other vendors closed my account because of the bad credit from Capital One) but because I never had to send so many documents to prove I was who I was, and sending them all but my social sec card would be sufficient. I asked them to give me fax # to file complaint with their corporate office, and the # they gave me (same as posted in internet) is incorrect, so now I had to complain against them to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in Washington and BBB. They ruined my credit, and have made a nightmare to rectify all this, and they won't move a finger. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. They are the absolute worst.

A BIG THANKS TO JESSIE WHO STAYED ON THE PHONE AND HELPED US FOR MORE THAN 1 HOUR. My BF and I have tried to book 4 tickets on Travelocity for a trip. But their website was acting weird and it kept changing the rates then asking us to confirm. I tried to confirm the transaction for 10 times, while having my Capital One credit card number saved for the moment. After 9 times, no tickets confirmed. We thought that something was wrong with my card, so my BF used his to confirm the transactions, and sure enough, he could not confirm the transaction after 10 trials. At the end: No tickets.

We then checked our Capital One accounts to see if anything posted, and sure enough: 19 charges from Jetblue Airway for $708.80 each and about 20 transaction fees in the amounts, some are $10.60 each and others are $16.00 each. We called Capital One and we got JESSIE. She first connected us to JetBlue and did 3-way call, but when we were told that Travelocity should be contacted because the tickets were booked through them, Jessie then tried to connect to Helen, a representative from Travelocity.

After getting the problems solved, I hung up the phone by accident, then JESSIE called me back right away and advised me that she would personally monitor mine and my BF's accounts then give us a call once every is clear. She also offered to give us more than 1000 points each towards our point rewards because she felt that she had to do something to ease my frustration, even though neither Capital One nor herself is at fault. My BF and I really appreciate what JESSIE has done for us. THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO YOU... JESSIE.

My Capital One credit card was canceled because someone tried to pay a bill or deduct a large amount from my card, over 2000.00. I have always paid on time usually far above the required amount. For the past several months, I noticed a restriction had been placed on my account. I stupidly thought I had maybe charged too much and was being penalized for charging too much at one time. So I continued to pay my bill on time every month on time before due date. I decided on May 27, 2017 to try a purchase a home, thinking my credit was in good standing. Realtor ran a credit check and on my report, Capital One, account closed by credit grantor.

Realtor told me by my credit report payments were always made on time. I called Capital One and of course I was treated rude by a supervisor and told me there was nothing she could do. I tried to tell this woman from hell, "I would never charge 2,220.37 to pay a bill with Citibank." I have never had an account with this company. Although someone tried to pay a bill on my Capital One credit card to Citibank. I don't know what to do now. A friend told me to contact their fraud division. I must do something to repair this error. Capital One's staff is very rude and not concerned at all regarding helping their customers. I need help so badly...

Capital One held up use on my credit card without telling me or asking about a purchase they had a question about. Fortunately I have other credit cards I can use. I will get rid of this credit card as soon as I use up the points.

I've been with Capital One for almost a decade now since they acquired my local bank. I've never overdrafted or paid any bills late. I've banked with them exclusively and I've been happy enough with their services for banking, and their credit card services. But today I'm writing about my experience with their QuickSilver credit card. This past weekend my card was closed due to a fraudulent attempt - first time happening to a personal credit card and an inconvenience, but no big deal- none of the charges hit, I just needed a new card and life could move on.

The new card came within a few days, with a sticker reading it was activated and good to go. While I'm used to calling in to activate, I shrugged and went with it. This, only to find out when I went to use it the next day it was declining. I logged in online, and saw my new card account was locked due to fraud concerns. Rather odd, since I thought the fraud was handled and I was dealing with a fresh card. Needless to say I called in, very puzzled.

For some reason, which could not be properly elucidated to me (part of my massive frustration), my credit card address was being flagged. What in the world does that mean or how does that make any sense? They had the nerve to tell me the same address on all my Capital One bank accounts, the same address I've been receiving my credit card bills at, the same address they SHIPPED the new card to was a problem. The only slightly probably reason that occurred to me was that I updated it for my credit card several months ago, but definitely nowhere near the time coinciding with the recent fraud attempts that led to my old card being closed. It was all odd, but I asked how I could resolve it, wanting, again, to move on from the problems the fraud attempted created in the first place.

According to their credit card team, the only way to remove the hold was to provide a social security card, my license scanned back to front, and proof of residence. Wow! Talk about invasive. I tried to explain that the credit card address matched my Capital One Bank account addresses; perhaps they could look at those and cross reference? But they wouldn't budge. I felt totally dissed; it was frustrating enough to have experienced a fraudulent attempt, but to have the new card nonsensically locked shouldn't have happened, and not for such a nonsensical reason as my address I've been using for months for all my banking and credit card being an issue. When I kept trying to explain this logic, I was treated like an idiot. The issue I didn't initiate or create was pinned on me as my problem- either I remitted all of that information or the hold would stay.

For those not facing my specific problem, the heart of the issue is that their customer service is completely rigid. They will not escalate your request, or apply good discretionary reasoning to individual cases. They are clearly glued to their computer prompt; what the computer flags is the impasse and they won't put forth the human effort to treat you like a loyal, paying customer. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt by calling in a second time, hoping the second rep would be better.

The same faulty logic was fed to me, and the rep wouldn't acknowledge the basics that things weren't adding up- if my address is an issue, why flag it now? Why not when I changed it months ago? Clearly, the recent fraud attempt set off some algorithm, but good common sense could help us navigate around that computer flag and release the hold. Take the time to consult a manager; help me escalate and resolve the case. Don't give me more problems on top of the fraud attempt.

I'm so peeved about it I'm honestly torn about whether I'll give them the information to take the hold off. If this is how I'm going to be treated if and when fraud happens to my card, I'm really loathe to give them more of my business. Totally disrespected. There are better credit cards out there- I just chose Capital One because I did my banking. But because of this I'm short a card. I'm so thankful I had my AmEx as back up, otherwise I'd be high and dry. Take your credit card business somewhere with more competent customer service and respect for historical customers.

This was absolutely the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I have EVER had! I have never submitted an online review for ANYONE in my life but I really felt the need to with this company. I am a bank teller and I called to verify that a check that was being presented to me was in good standing. After talking to several "agents" I was still unable to verify funds. I was told by a few that my number wasn't showing up on their end as the number I had given for verification of my identity! I explained they could call the institution themselves to verify since my number apparently wasn't doing the job.

Long story short I spoke with a LINDSEY in the "team area" and a JULIAN in the "management department". Yep you heard correctly... the manager couldn't even do their part correctly. When I had ask Miss Lindsey for a manager she (while on a RECORDED line) rudely said, "Yeah... sure.. OMG" like excuse me? So needless to say I'm just trusting the check is good and will NOT recommend their business to any of my customers! Absolutely the most HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!

I called in this morning and spoke with Lynn regarding some charges to my account. It was a wonderful experience. I feel that she really went above and beyond to assist me. She answered all of my questions and treated me like a person, which can be a bit rare in this day and age. Not only that, but she advised me of a late fee and reversed it because of my previous good standing with the account. I would highly recommend Capital One to any of my friends or family. I know that people tend to leave reviews after bad experiences, so I really wanted to share my good experience. Thank you so much.

Disgusting credit card company when you pay on payment date and still charge you late fee. Worst of the worst. Watch them. They will get you in any unethical way they can. Worst experience you probably will have with CC company. Scum.

I was trying to rebuild my credit, I heard about the prepaid card and thought I'd try it. Big mistake! They had my money for 11 weeks before I got a card, then when I finally received it, they had restrictions on it which I had to phone about, sit in hold while their card reading customer service reps gave me a big story without answering my questions.

I have since cancelled my card after 18 months with them... They can keep the rest of the yearly charge... But I can't seem to now get my funds back, even though I've gone the expedited route. Again I keep getting the card reading customer service reps... I'm tired of this company, they're quick enough to charge you debits, but the credits never seem to be processed as quickly. I'm happy to be done with them and I hope their stock prices continue to drop!

I planned my trip to California, and needed to rent a car. I typically use my debit card for everything and develop credit via car payments, but renting a car requires a credit card for anyone under 25 and out of state. I applied for Capital One of April 28th. I was approved right away. I received an email on May 4th that my card has been shipped. It is now May 20th and still no card has arrived. I called on May 15th asking if they have the correct address. The representative confirmed my address, stating it is correct, and that it takes 8 business days to receive the card and that I should just wait. I called today because it has been 12 business days which is ridiculous. Upon calling, I was informed they had the WRONG ADDRESS ON FILE. They sent my card to STREET instead of PLACE. A block over, there is a house with the exact same address as mine, and the only different is that they live in a street and I live on a Place.

I KNOW what address I provided them. I'm not an idiot and I know not to put down the address to which a lot of mailmen already misdeliver my mail to. I asked the representative how my address was changed? She said she can't answer that because she doesn't know how the procedure works. As for the first representative, I repeated my address to him TWICE and he said it was correct. Dumb ass. Now, I'm completely screwed over for my vacation because of the car rental and will have to Uber everywhere for a week. The only reason I got the card in the first place was for this car rental. Now I have this ** card coming to me in the mail in 4-6 business days. I don't need or want it anymore because clearly this business is **. Thanks for ruining my vacation!

I received a call from a representative of Capital One and after first asking me to verify my personal details, informed me that my account had been compromised. (May 17th, 2017 at 3:37 PM) She then asked me to verify the last 2 transactions and I replied that those were approved by myself and are not fraudulent. The representative of Capital One then informed me that she had to close my account (cancel my credit card) immediately and a new one would be arriving in the mail.

I explicitly proceeded to ask that this action be delayed because earlier that day, I mailed two payments to a governing body in Quebec and provincial Court in Ontario using the said Capital One card. I also explained that the 2 bodies may charge me an NSF fee for providing a non-active account to charge the payments.

The representative decided to proceed with the deactivation, despite my protest and informed me that she had no choice and could not give me a 7 day grace period to allow those payments to processed through the existing account.

I spoke with 2 account supervisors who could not escalate the matter to a manager or someone senior in a time frame that would allow me to alert the 2 merchants involved. I believe that this represents gross misconduct and poor customer service on behalf of Capital One because as a paying customer, I'm being inconvenienced (potentially with additional late fees from the 2 merchants) through no fault of my own and my consent or lack thereof is being overridden by internal procedures created by Capital One. No proof of fraud or evidence of being comprised has been presented to me for me to verify such claims.

I am writing about Capital One Journey Credit Card. I wish you could leave zero stars but I have to leave at least one star so ** you. I will give you one star. I opened up a account as it would be my first credit card ever. I had good faith that it would work out but it doesn't look like it. I received my bill for April so it said I had to make a minimum payment of $25 so I went to the bank and put the money in. I sent the minimum payment in through my Pinnacle Bank account. The bank is with Bank of Colorado. I sent the money and like 2 days later they sent the money back with some kind of ACH payment **. I sent $25 minimum payment to the credit card company and they decline it and charge me a ** fee on top of it.

I called the bank and the bank said that it most certainly went through. That's how these SOBs work. They let you use the card one month then they figure every trick in the book to make you pay more and more for a supposed little fee. It won't matter how or when it's paid. I called the credit card company and I get some little ** on the other end of the line who says, "How may I help you today? Aww I'm sorry you're having problems with your account," but can't do anything to help with it.

I hate this company. The bank said it would work and the card company didn't take it so now I've got a bigger bill. I'm going to see about closing the account. Won't even pay them back because they messed with my account. How do you say on one page "Paid" then on the next it says there is still a big ass bill. Today I called and asked what was the holdup with the payment to process then on the last day the payment declined and I got slapped with another high interest late ** fee so what's the use with them. I call them and get nowhere. I get ** with a late fee that puts you in later ** fees and fines.

This company takes advantage to the new customers that are completely new to credit. My suggestion Capital One is stop being a ** piece of junk and start working with your customers especially us newbies that are new to the whole credit world. This screw up is going to ** up my credit. It ain't my damn fault. I sent the money. The bank said that they work with Capital One all the time so it is the Capital One junk card business. I'm calling Experian, TransUnion and all the other credit services to have this ** removed from my history cause I thought good company turned out worthless. My recommendation is to avoid Capital One as they will get you into the ** game.

TERRIBLE UPMOST WORST COMPANY EVER!! This is the worst ever company. They issue a card then immediately close it. If you don't want a person or company to have a card don't approve them. I wouldn't recommend this company to a snake.

The Capital One Fraud Department has placed both of my accounts on restricted status and guess why? All because I did an e-mail change. Outrageous. They want copies of the SSN, proof of residency, and my driver's license all for an e-mail change. This I will not do. Not for an e-mail change. What in God's name is wrong with you. Keep your damn accounts. Now I will not be informing you of any phone or address changes. I worked in banking for 27 years and this is a first. Simply because your program did not recognize an e-mail you put an account on restricted status. As a financial company you do have to provide some level of consumer service.

I am with Capital One Bank 24 years, actually I started with Chevy Chase Bank the same account number transferred to Capital One when they bought Chevy Chase around 10 years back. I regret that I stayed with Capital One, everyday I noticed the system efficiency, customer service, reliability & proficiency is deteriorating day by day. I would recommend to do substantial research to open account in Capital One Bank. After my long stay I am leaving Capital One. Hope you will not do the same mistake.

Last week I tried to open 5 CDs as part of a CD ladder on the Capital One website. I entered in information for the first CD (a 1-year CD); when I tried to do the same for the second CD it asked me to repeat much of the same information, including my bank information for funding the CD. I called customer service and they told me that I needed to enter that information for each CD. I grit my teeth and reentered the information for 2, 3, 4 and 5 year CDs. What with various screens and popups, it took around 30 minutes.

This week I noticed that only the money for the 1-year CD had been withdrawn from my bank. After giving it a few days, I contacted Capital One using their chat window. The representative told me that there had been a "Tech Issue" and that I would have to open the four CDs once again. The instructions the representative provided for doing so did not match what I was seeing in my browser(s) (we tried both Chrome and Firefox) even though my browsers are relatively new. When I did attempt to go through the entire process once again, I noticed that the interest rates had gone down from 2.3% to 2.1%. When the representative told me that the interest rate was 2.1% when I opened to account (changing early that morning) when I was quoted 2.3% when opening the account, I decided that was too much and decided to scrap the four CD accounts which had not been funded. I wasted almost an hour this morning on the chat.

I work in tech. It is unacceptable that a large bank like Capital One ask customers to spend their time working around a "tech issue" caused by their problems. My experience with their website was extremely poor. The navigation menu seems to change based on where you are in their website. Clicking on the Capital One logo logs you out and you have to log in all over again. I just opened up the 4 CDs with Synchrony Bank; the entire process took under 10 minutes.

I applied for a secured credit card and got denied. I wrote a letter explaining that my wife is fighting serious cancer, we are trying to buy a home, and I'm trying to raise my credit. And I have a card now in good standing, I just need another. I also promised that I would take it very seriously. The disgusting people in management sent an email to some 6$/hr. uneducated person who called me asking that I return her call twice. When I did call back, all I got told was the decision will stand and it was based on my credit. Well what the flipping heck do you think I'm trying to do here, REBUILD MY CREDIT!! I DIDN'T BOTHER explaining because I could see the uneducated numbskull got off in telling people they are denied.

Whatever, I say. What goes around comes around and when you treat good people bad, it most always comes back to you. No sweat off my back, I got my cards I needed elsewhere, and these people who feel too big to fail will most certainly fail one day, that's for sure. Heartless disgusting people!!

Back in September of 2016 I lost my job and became unemployed and did not receive unemployment benefits. I expressed this to Capital One being that I had a credit card with them with a 500 credit limit and they insisted that my account will be fine. I missed December & January 2017 30.00 payments and once I got a job and paid them on 1/28/17 I realized my credit score went from 680 to 450! So I called all three credit agencies and they told me There is nothing that will bring my score up to 680 besides CAPITAL ONE REMOVING THOSE 2 MISSED/LATE PAYMENT OF YOUR CREDIT REPORT!

So I called Capital One and spoke with over 20 supervisors who told me they cannot removed negative remarks off my credit report until I stumbled across one STUPID supervisor who told my Capital One does removed negative remarks off people credit reports, it just depends on the situation! The manager then refused to explain why my situation did not apply and became argumentative!

THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO IN AMERICA WITH A 457 CREDIT SCORE. NOT RENT, TAKE OUT MORTGAGE, AUTO LOAN. Nothing and they are quite aware of this! So I kept calling and finally got a supervisor who told me she would have the two late payment removed from my report so I waited 30 days. After 30 days Equifax updated my score back. I'm the 600's and the Capital One late payments remarks were gone! So I check Transunion and Experian only to see my score with them was still 457. So I called back and asked why was the late payment removed only from Equifax??

The manager then told me she will resend out to Transunion and Experian to remove those negative remarks making my score 457. YOU SHOULD GUESS WHAT HAPPENED IN 30 MORE DAYS!!! YUP! ALL 3 AGENCIES NOW HAVE MY SCORE AT 457! Yup. Even Equifax who just had my score at 680! So the manager keep lying to me from 1/01/2017 until 5/5/2017 saying they will removed the score after. At first they said they couldn't but still haven't and giving me the runaround!

I have wrote numerous letters to corporate which they said were abusive after ruining my life lol and now they saying none of these 1000 existed! I am permanently not able to do anything because I missed 2 30.00 payment with Capital One due to me being unemployed which they already knew and still told me I was fine! They are the only ones that can fix this situation yet they refuse to! I even contact 5 lawyers who refused the case because the payment were only 60.00$ and the credit card max is 500.00 which shows how disgusting they are! Had someone score dropped 300 points for 60.00$ and measly 500.00 credit limit!

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.
  • Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.
  • Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.
  • Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.
  • Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.
  • Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.
  • Best for Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Compare Credit Cards