Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.31/5
Based on 1,857 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

4667 Capital One Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have been a C1 credit card holder for about 10 years. I have only positive things to say. When they detected a fraud about twice in the past decade or so, they immediately called and lately also send emails. I get on the horn and they correct it, immediately send out a new card, etc. Spotless. Every time I talked to a representative, they were pretty good and seem to be knowledgeable and helpful.

The only small gripe I have is about their phone verification. About 5 months ago I opened a 360 checking and savings with them. Spot on. Worked flawless. It took about a week to have the initial funds transferred from my external bank. I have direct deposit with them which worked flawless so far. However, after 4 months of using Zelle to make transfers, all of a sudden they wanted to verify my phone number. I've been with them for nearly a decade (credit cards) so they have everything on file. Since I have a pay-as-you-go mobile plan, I never give out my number, but what the heck. No big deal. Apparently they cannot verify pay-as-you-go or prepaid mobile plans. Since these phone plans do not require neither an SSN nor a driver's license, apparently there is no record that the phone number is tied to your name, hence they are unable to verify it.

I've pointed out that this is my first mobile number, and I have this number of 8 years. Never had another one, never used another SIM card. In vain. Apparently they can only verify postpaid phone plans. Of course the cheapest phone plan on a postpaid plan is 60 bucks (as opposed to $3). I have no way of justifying shelling out that much money a month just so a bank can verify my ownership of the phone number. As a result, my Zelle transfers were halted and had to go "around" by transferring the money back to my external account (which I kept open), and from that account I am able to make transfers. Also, I cannot add joint account holder to the checking account due to failed phone verification.

Now, get this. They can manually set up a joint account over the phone, if both parties are present at the same time, but they can only do this for savings account. To add a joint account holder to your checking account, you need at least a $60/month phone plan so they can verify your ownership of the phone number. In other words, if you have a six-figure savings account, they can add joint account holders to it no problem, but if you have a checking account with $200 monthly balance then forget it. Is this messed up or what!? Other than the ridiculous issue with unable to verify prepaid phone numbers, I have no gripe with them. Oh, also, I was able to call in and they helped me fix the Zelle issue. So that should be good to go again - we shall see this next month when I will do my regular transfer.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I banked with WF for years, simply because that was the bank that my parents used and my very first account. Two years ago, I lost my job and started looking for ways to save money. That's when I discovered Capital One and decided to open a Money Market account with them, since a friend referred me and explained that I would get a $100 credit by signing up with her code, in addition to a 2% interest rate. I decided to try it and obtained $180 after the first 30 days of opening the account; $80 as interest, and $100 from my friend's referral code. I can't believe that I had spent so many years banking with institutions that only offered %0.01 for my money!

While doing my research, I also saw that other banks advertise a 2% interest rate but when I clicked to find out more information, it was only offered on CD accounts, which means that I would have not been able to touch my money for 9 or 12 months. With Capital One's Money Market, that's not an issue. I can receive a high interest rate while also being able to access that money any time, without paying any penalties. Capital One 360 has helped me obtain more for my money and keep better track of my credit score through its "creditwise" reports. Once I got hired and started working full-time again, I also decided to start using Capital One credit cards. I started with the Quicksilver, and now I have the Savor card. I love how easy it is to pay or transfer money both through my computer and the phone app. I loved Quicksilver because it felt like a very honest card, you get 1.5% cash back on ALL your purchases, period.

I didn't have to try to figure out if I was only getting 1% on gas, but 2% on entertainment, or try to figure out which purchase would classify for cash back. I now have the Savor card because I do spend a significant amount of money eating out and on entertainment, and the 4% cash back adds up fairly quickly. I genuinely feel that Capital One 360 has helped me improve my financial life and I prefer this bank over any of the other banks that I have used: higher interest, better and quicker customer service, and easy to use phone app.

My only suggestion would be that I wish Capital One offered mortgage options, that way I wouldn't have to look for mortgage lenders through another bank. I highly recommend Capital One and think that you will find the right account and card for your needs. Here's my referral code, in case you decided to try it. I receive $20 for referring you, and you receive $100 for opening a new 360 account (360 Checking, 360 Savings or 360 Money Market), with an initial deposit of $250. Enjoy! https://capital.one/2Xrh0Wx

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I just want to acknowledge Capital One for the customer service I always receive. They value even the little people and the interest rate I pay 24% or something like that doesn’t even bother me because It is a small price to pay for great care. They always fix any issue — fast on unauthorized charges even crediting your account before determining your disputes validity.

I was late 2 times in the past 6 months due to a broken phone and a move and when I called to see if I could reverse the late fee they did so with no hesitation! My limits are 500 and 1000 so that they care for me as a mediocre customer speaks loudly to their integrity and shows they value All customers... which after being treated unfairly by Walmart credit after never making late payments and getting a credit reduction really made me appreciate them. Not to mention when you say you want an agent on the automated system it just says ok not asking why until you are blue in the face.. 10 stars Cap One.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I believe you should always show and share your appreciation for kindness. So I need to share my experience with my Capital One credit card. Please take the time to read this, I would greatly appreciate my story being heard. With that being said I called to make my payment via phone November 1st... I was confused to hear the automated balance was $700 dollars less than my statement balance. I quickly pressed 0 for customer service. Long story short I insisted to escalate the call as to the fact I thought it was an error. It was brought to my attention that my active duty husband enrolled us in SCRA (Servicemembers Civil Relief Act). It’s a program that lowers interest rates to %4, not late fees or membership fees and no finance charges for the duration of his deployment.

I’m sure others (like me) are unaware that Capital One offers this service. $700 might not be a lot to some but it meant the world to me and my husband...Especially with upcoming holidays. Everyone seems to recognize the military only on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. It’s always been a shame being a military. We are ‘really’ honored two days a year. I felt it very necessary to thank management and waited on hold to do so. I spoke with Tyler a military specialist in the SCAR department and he listened to my story. He then thanked my family for our service and also thanked me for being so genuinely and taking the time to say thank you. I will admit I was shocked Tyler had so much empathy for me.

After hanging up I didn’t think experience with Capital One could get any better until today... I received a huge bouquet from 1-800-flowers with the message inside that read... “It was a joy speaking with you. Your positive attitude changed my day, I hope these brightens your day, just like you did for me! Wish you nothing but the best. Daja and Capital One”. I have never felt more important... My hope for sharing this is for all credit cardholders to feel as special and appreciated as I do from a Company/corporation and employees as I do. I don’t feel like a ‘number’ and I know I will be heard in the future when I have questions or concerns. Thank you for taking care of us little people and making us feel important and valued. Not all companies take care of the military. For those of you unaware Capital One does! Forever Grateful.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I would like to rate my experience MUCH higher. My nightmarish financial situation started spiraling downhill two years ago. I've had my Platinum MasterCard card for over 5 yrs and had maintained an excellent payment history until just about a year and a half ago. Medical costs started piling up, my husband went on FMLA and lost 40% of his income, then went on SS Disability and lost another 20%. Through it all, Capital One had my back. Sure, late fees and finance fees started piling up until it wasn't long until I was over my credit limit. I was PROACTIVE and called them as the signs of trouble with being able to meet my payments FIRST began.

I did not wait until they started calling me!!! I truly believe this helped salvage my situation with them. They were kind, understanding and one representative even sent me a gorgeous lightweight blanket filled with words of hope and encouragement! It has taken over 8 months to get to the point where I am UNDER my credit limit now though my balance is still too high for my liking. My payments are now "normal-ish" but doable. Their payment assistance program and department employees helped us with no doubt. Yes, I highly appreciate the opportunities they gave to save my card, help me through, and help to start rebuilding my credit again. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... If you are good to them they will most definitely be good to you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Do not use this company. They are liars, full of crap and will profile you and do not care at all period. They are discriminatory, do not care about their customers. They treat you like crap, unfair treatment and need to be talked to. I will be closing my account with them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

As a Platinum One member since 2002 I was forced to close my account today. I am a full-time medical student living on student loans and even Medicaid. I will not be using this card this year - I can't justify spending $79 for these "benefits" when I will never swipe this card this calendar year. Next year, or when I finish school, I would not have an issue with this. I spoke with Angel today and then Ian, a supervisor, and explained I can not see myself using $79 of my student loans to pay them for nothing. They gave me no other option but to close my account.

It makes me wonder where this society is headed to think this kind of behavior is okay. If I were to start using this card, even after waiving it, I think it would be fair to charge me. To say give me $79 or close your account it too extreme. You lost a customer and when I can finally one day afford to swipe whatever I want, I won't be going back to you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Horrible horrible horrible. I was approved for a credit card in August and then they mailed a letter Canada post for them to look at my id and then verify it’s me. That was on September 1st. Spoke to Capital One representative and he said, "Yup everything is fine you should have your card in 10 business days." Well it’s the 16th and still no card. Called again and the representative said that no card has been issued and I need to speak to a different department. Been on hold for 40 minutes now. She said once I speak to this department I can have my card. Hmmmm they left a huge ding on my credit and I’m pissed. Why was I not contacted to tell me I need to speak to this so called department. Wtf. Anyways still on hold.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

To begin I paid off the card. Was given a pay off amount. Shortly thereafter - received a bill. Was told it wasn't available to the person I spoke to when I asked for a payoff. I paid it. 2 weeks later received another bill - 33.00. Asked why??? Was told it was the interest on the first amount. I asked how many payoffs are there? The person answering the phone was polite but offered no solution and the only option I was offered was to close the account. I never missed a payment and had have been a customer for many years. Lesson - there are much better credit card companies out there. I'm expecting another "Bill" next month with another pay off. Stay tuned.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I was on the phone for approximately an hour to dispute charges. Just got the Card and actually I am writing this review while she has me on Hold. She embodies the whole reason why people hate Clerk type customer representatives who provide the worst Service ever. I am still on hold and we're at 50 minutes and counting. Sheryl is a Failure in the company and actual does more stuttering. Now with Jenny a manager trying not to fail me but an hour of my life is wasted!!

Capital One expert review by Beverly Harzog

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.

• Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.

• Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.

• Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.

• Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.

• Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.

• Best for: Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Capital One Company Information