Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.4/5 (1279 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Top Capital One Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just...

Verified

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should cl...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Capital One, I think everyone has seen their commercials with the catchy slogan "What's in your wallet?" and to be honest I never thought twice, but I have to hand it to them, they have one of the best applications for cards I have ever used. Not only do they have a clean interface with perks easily displayed and purchases shown with logos of the establishments, but they have a fast response time for payments (instantaneous) and watching your limits shoot back up and the cash back rewards pop in just makes you feel so darn good. They gave me a chance when I was barely eligible, not only that, but they gave me a taste of 0% APR periods and cool perks that I never thought I deserved with my standings. In combination with other providers I have earned my Good Fico score Rating I have today and I intend to keep it that way.

Original review: May 31, 2021

The Capital One online and app systems are comprehensive and easy to navigate. Checking, savings, and credit card accounts are all right at your fingertips and easily viewed either comprehensively or individually for more detailed info. Big thumbs up!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2021

This bank is just bomb. I love them SOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!! They've been with me for years. This bank ALWAYS has my back. ALWAYS. It's a ride or die bank. The only complaint I have is that they outsource their customer service to countries with thick accents who are near impossible to understand. If 98% of your clients speak English and you must outsource, why not outsource to countries who have cultural and language competence in the country you primarily serve? Like Canada, Japan, Mexico City (not other areas though), and Jamaica. These are all really good countries to outsource to. NOT India, Pakistan, Columbia, Nigeria, or Central America.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I have a Quicksilver and Venture card with Capital One as well as a Walmart card. They have been absolutely amazing in terms of customer service. I actually received an Amazon gift card in the mail from them. Out of all the companies I have, Capital One is the first to ever send me such a gift. Amazing company and will continue to be a customer.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have been the biggest salesman for Capital One for years. I advise my clients to get these cards. They have always provided outstanding customer service and been my partner. I have had this account for almost a decade. All of that said, it is clear that they are changing their ways! I made a payment of $4,727.73 (payment made weeks before the statement due date) and after 4 days they had not released the available credit. They even continued to approve charges the day they received the payment but then took the account into lockdown the day after the payment. When I called I was told that this is common when an excessively large payment has been made.

The clerk then checked the card to find that this payment was not excessively large for the history of the account. He then said during this tough times it is not unusual. When asked if there was anyone I could speak with he said no. The funds have cleared my checking account and are past the bank retrieval date. This is unnecessary and totally unacceptable. This is NOT the Capital One I have loved and supported for decades.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have had a Capital One Credit Card for over 11 years. I have always paid on time. I have charged it up to the limit and paid it off completely several times. I know my credit was not good when I first was approved for the card and I accepted that. Over the last 11 years I have not asked for a reduction in interest rate. However, I received a new 10,000 Credit Card from CITI Bank with a rate in single digits. Being a loyal customer to most brands I use, I wanted to get my interest lowered at Capital One. I figured since my credit score is now in the 700's this would be a simple request. Without any concern of me cancelling my card they said they could not change my rate. I even talked to a manager. She said rates are only changed when the company mails you something. I was really surprised, so I said cancel card. I guess I will be a Citi customer from now. I guess they do not care about keeping good paying customers.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Don't apply for Capital One master card because they are bunch of thieves who get a hold of your money. I have been very very disappointed with their service. I highly recommend any other company but them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I used to have a Capital One Quicksilver Rewards card that I used when traveling abroad. Capital One canceled it because I did not use it much. I recently applied for the same card, but Capital One will not approve me for it, even though I have an 800+ score and a high income. They won't provide the reason for rejection over the phone, so I could correct it. Instead, they will send me a letter with an unclear explanation in 7 to 10 business days.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Whoever is trying to decide in which bank to do business with do NOT chose Capital One. The reason why is that once they have your money, they will never return it when you move to a different state where there is no Capital One. You better have some extra money because it will take them months before they send you money back to you or your new bank. It happened to me, and after seven months I am still waiting to receive my $10,000. If you want to talk to me about it, my email address is **. DO NOT BANK WITH CAPITAL ONE, please.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I am relatively satisfied with my Capital One credit card, however recently I wanted to provide a feedback and was not able to find how to do so, even though their website has thousands of reviews. Are those all fake? The issue I was trying to bring up is credit line increase. In my opinion their policy has a flaw. Let me explain it.

My account has virtual account numbers feature for safe online shopping and the only other card I have has this feature, is Citi. I use Citi virtual accounts all the time. But it would be nice to have a backup option like Capital One. But what happened was years ago Capital One decreased my limit to a small amount, based on daily use. Which makes some sense, because we split our daily purchases between 3 different cards by category. However, if you like me, go to a "big" vacation once a year or a couple of year and this is when you need probably a few times more limit to reserve a hotel or resort and buy tickets, then you know that at the time when you need this amount, you are limited. And if you request an increase at that time, they offer you a few hundred bucks, which is not helpful.

Don't take me wrong, I have other good cards and I actually closed a couple of because I don't need so many. My credit score is perfect and I pay all my cards in full every month. But the way it looks like their credit limit policy shoots them in their foot. I would alternate Citi and Capital One virtual number for vacation expenses, and Capital One could make some money on these purchases, but due to this vicious cycle they will never give me credit limit enough for those expenses. I was trying to find how this can be communicated to the right people and was not able to. If you call customer service, maximum you can speak to a supervisor, who does not really get this situation and just thinks I was failed credit line increase and I try to complain. If besides Citi and Capital One any other bank would offer virtual numbers, I would just use that bank instead and would not even bother with this review.

Capital One Company Information