Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.8/5 (1927 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Top Capital One Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just...

Verified

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should cl...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I was very pleased with the availability of this card and how quickly it was approved. I found the process of getting it to be a little tedious. It was approved online, then I had to wait to get a letter through registered mail where I had to go to the post office and provide identification. After that I received the card and again had to wait for the pin to come in the mail. Finally I was able to activate it. Then I had to pay $59/annual fee! I understand the importance of keeping a step ahead of the thieves, but it took a really long time between the approval and the ability to use it! I think the fee is pretty high considering the lack of benefits, but it is a reestablishing credit type card, so I’m grateful for the opportunity.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Capital One seemed to be a good option to rebuild credit. However they always start you with a very low credit limit and the fees lower that even more. When it’s time to increase credit limits other companies are more generous with that increase and provide options many times over the year to increase. I don’t mind capital one as a company and their app is good quality but I feel they are very stingy with credit increases. Even when pre approval of other loans in their company. Been with them over a year and have a measly 500 limit while my other cards are well over 1k each.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I use the Quicksilver one and I get 1.5% cash back on ALL my purchases - so no having to remember different promotional periods. Since I get cash back on all purchases, I get cash back on things I pay for routinely such as regular bills. I use this card over my debit card so that I can get the most cash back possible on my every purchases. It's nice because I use this as my extra savings and use my cash back to apply towards my holiday shopping at the end of the year since there are no limits to what I can earn! In addition, the no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee is a bonus.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I appreciate Capital One for acknowledging me as a person and not just one of million of card holders. You know how it is when family can base your character on your past. I had a horrible year 2019, car accident, therapy, etc. so I had a difficult time keeping up with my payments, two out of 3 cards were restricted, including my precious biz card that I worked so hard for. I've had these accounts for approx 5 years or more in good standing prior to 2019. Different than a couple of my other card companies with the same history, same faithfulness, they didn't care, immediately sent my accounts to collections. My good score plummeted over 140 points to 540. Capital One did not leave me high and dry. I called in and the CSR told me my accounts were restricted. I had no idea what that meant, but after talking more with her, it was over, a done deal with the credit.

I asked for a Credit Manager and when I explained what occurred to me (she has no idea that the car accident and therapy was very small part of what I was dealing with as a single mom), she advocated on my behalf. I have no idea what department she was speaking with, but each step of the way while on the call she was considerate, returning to inform me that she was still on the call and continuing to attempt to get my cards reinstated. Finally after 30 minutes, it was all done, she did it!!!

My accounts were reinstated and I was in a position to pay down the balances that were at least $500 - $1k over their limits. I figured, heck if a company can do this for me, I have no problem giving what is owed to them, fees and all. I will forever be dedicated to Capital One and if I have nothing else in my wallet, it's OK. So now I am rebuilding my business, helping my daughter to return to college and pay my basic rent. THANK YOU CAPITAL ONE for being human..

Original review: June 27, 2020

I was lucky enough to call in to Capital One for assistance with questions and concerns regarding my pre-approval and I had the pleasure of working with a rep named Hema **. This representative went above and beyond to make sure that all of my questions were answered and that I was well taken care of. What could have been an extremely stressful process was made so easy and seamless that it truly made myself and my husband feel like we were being specially cared for. Not only did she do her job beyond expectations but she actually took interest in me, as a person, and she paid attention to our conversation as if I was a part of her family.

She waited patiently with me while I got my husband on the line, as he was working during our call and not able to come to the phone immediately, and she was fast and efficient so as to not take up too much of his time. I have NEVER in my life had such a memorable customer experience... to top it all off she even sent us a surprise gift to show just how much she CARED and paid attention (as the gift was relevant to our interaction - a picture frame for my husband and I who were recently married). It’s funny how people say “it’s the little things”... but it’s TRUE! Hema has set the bar extremely high for all of my future interactions with customer service reps... because she was just so exceptionally great. CAPITAL ONE, I hope you know you have one outstanding representative, take good care of her because she is definitely taking great care of your customers and because of her I will likely ALWAYS be a Capital One Customer!

Original review: June 3, 2021

Three weeks ago, I received an application for Capital One's Quicksilver and what led me to apply was an offer of a $200 bonus if I spent $500 in the first 3 months of the cards activation. I applied and was accepted. I tossed the advertising information in the trash because I assumed that Capital One would honor the REWARDS offer. The card arrived in the mail so I called them to confirm the $200 bonus offer via an email. They declined. They indicated that I did not qualify even though I had the information in writing. I have since found the identical offers on their websites dated 5/28/21. Capital One does not honor their promise. I've been on the phone three times and talked to supervisors but I have been denied the bonus offer. This is false advertising....IE: fraud. If you get the same offer and apply, make sure that you keep all of your documents because don't expect Capital One to honor it.

Original review: June 3, 2021

NEVER move and change your phone number. Disabled, veteran, 70 years old, Leukemia, spinal cord injury, homebound,. Locked out of my 3 accts because they require state id. I can't leave my house. I have what I need for id not good enough.

Original review: May 29, 2021

The longer I do business with Capital One the more I distrust the company and question its ethics. I have been a Capital One Card Holder for four years. I've always paid my bill on time and in that timeframe I've only filed three or four disputes and I am very active with my card. Each time I filed a dispute I had overwhelming documentation that the company was in the wrong, or that the charges were fraudulent, and each time Capital One's dispute department made it clear to me that the charges would remain and that opening up the dispute was a mere formality. It's like a kangaroo court. The decision is already predetermined and the dispute department is just going through the motions. I booked a hotel room in Atlanta, GA while I was in Dallas, TX. I went off the pictures on the website.

When I made it to Atlanta, the room was totally different. It was in such a deplorable state I could not sleep one night there. Also, it was unsafe. The cabinets were yellow with peeling paint and they were hanging from the hinges, the stove did not work, the green carpet was so soiled and matted it was black and unsafe to walk on barefoot. Some of the lights did not work, the room had a terrible roach problem, the bed was broken and not steady, the comforter on the bed had stains and holes as well as the curtains, the door had a huge gap between where it met the paneling and bugs from the outside could crawl through plus it was so flimsy it could be pushed open with a good shove and there were mysterious, very nasty looking brown stains and smudges smeared on the wall by the tv.

When I saw the room I immediately went to the office and requested a refund. Of course like most slum hotels they said no. I had paid for the entire week off of a bait and switch. The pictures shown on the site did not depict the room accurately. So I took pictures of the room for documentation and left. I called Capital One to tell them about the room and I encountered a very rude, snide, condescending and dismissive agent. He kept stating "well you booked the room" and he did not care that the room that appeared online looked nothing like the room I was given. He also made it clear that if the hotel refused to give my money back there was nothing I could do. He refused to look at my photos and Capital One temporarily removed the charge but as soon as the hotel responded. They placed the charge right back.

Even Though I left the room the first night. I was only given my money back after I posted the room photos online. Then that's when the hotel refunded me. I had also had several instances of hotels placing phantom charges on my credit card long after I had left the hotels for rooms I was no longer staying in. Capital One disputes was no help. They allowed those charges to also remain and I had to threaten to sue the hotels to get my money back. I also had instances where service I paid for was never rendered. Capital one allowed those charges to remain as well.

Capital One has never fairly investigated a dispute. They take the Company's word, or the scammers word - time and time again. It doesn't matter what proof you have, or whether the scammer or business lacks proof - Capital One allows the charge to remain. Capital One breaches their own contract, their own covenant, with their card holders by failing to fairly investigate disputes and by overlooking documentation provided by the card holder. Last, just yesterday I called the dispute department and spoke with Kiana a dispute manager. She also stated that Capital One will only refund if the business agrees and provides documentation stating they are refunding. So that basically says if the Business does not agree - the capital one card holder is on their own.

Capital One credit cards offer no protection. They are just debit cards with high interest. On top of this I had a 700 credit score and very low debt and a I made over $50K a year and my credit limit was a paltry $3,000.00 with a 24% interest rate. For the four years I've had my credit card I have an excellent payment record and I've received no credit limit increase. So Capital One is stingy as hell too.

Original review: May 8, 2021

There was an order for food made and quickly cancelled with the merchant. The merchant proceeded to charge my card after the order was cancelled. I called Capital One to dispute the first time. The representative said all take care of and credited. I was checking my account and noticed the charge reappeared on my account without any notification, call or letter. I called and the automated answering service does not work. Plain garbage. I was on the phone for 23 minutes to dispute an error. Completely unacceptable from Capital One. The charge should have never been added on. The order was cancelled and I was under the impression as my credit card and representative Capital One would be on my side. It looks like you're not. Paying off my balances and will use my other cards effective next month. No more business with Capital One.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Very Poor Customer Service. They do not value the customers and are only interested in their bottom line. I would not recommend using a Capital One card. Their customer service has extremely long wait times and they do not care about their customer satisfaction.

Capital One Company Information