2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.06/5

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Top Capital One Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just announce[d] a breach, which really sucks, but for now, I am staying put with them.

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should close the account, no closing or hidden fees.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $1k in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
Learn more
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: July 31, 2020

I appreciate Capital One for acknowledging me as a person and not just one of million of card holders. You know how it is when family can base your character on your past. I had a horrible year 2019, car accident, therapy, etc. so I had a difficult time keeping up with my payments, two out of 3 cards were restricted, including my precious biz card that I worked so hard for. I've had these accounts for approx 5 years or more in good standing prior to 2019. Different than a couple of my other card companies with the same history, same faithfulness, they didn't care, immediately sent my accounts to collections. My good score plummeted over 140 points to 540. Capital One did not leave me high and dry. I called in and the CSR told me my accounts were restricted. I had no idea what that meant, but after talking more with her, it was over, a done deal with the credit.

I asked for a Credit Manager and when I explained what occurred to me (she has no idea that the car accident and therapy was very small part of what I was dealing with as a single mom), she advocated on my behalf. I have no idea what department she was speaking with, but each step of the way while on the call she was considerate, returning to inform me that she was still on the call and continuing to attempt to get my cards reinstated. Finally after 30 minutes, it was all done, she did it!!!

My accounts were reinstated and I was in a position to pay down the balances that were at least $500 - $1k over their limits. I figured, heck if a company can do this for me, I have no problem giving what is owed to them, fees and all. I will forever be dedicated to Capital One and if I have nothing else in my wallet, it's OK. So now I am rebuilding my business, helping my daughter to return to college and pay my basic rent. THANK YOU CAPITAL ONE for being human..

Original review: June 27, 2020

I was lucky enough to call in to Capital One for assistance with questions and concerns regarding my pre-approval and I had the pleasure of working with a rep named Hema **. This representative went above and beyond to make sure that all of my questions were answered and that I was well taken care of. What could have been an extremely stressful process was made so easy and seamless that it truly made myself and my husband feel like we were being specially cared for. Not only did she do her job beyond expectations but she actually took interest in me, as a person, and she paid attention to our conversation as if I was a part of her family.

She waited patiently with me while I got my husband on the line, as he was working during our call and not able to come to the phone immediately, and she was fast and efficient so as to not take up too much of his time. I have NEVER in my life had such a memorable customer experience... to top it all off she even sent us a surprise gift to show just how much she CARED and paid attention (as the gift was relevant to our interaction - a picture frame for my husband and I who were recently married). It’s funny how people say “it’s the little things”... but it’s TRUE! Hema has set the bar extremely high for all of my future interactions with customer service reps... because she was just so exceptionally great. CAPITAL ONE, I hope you know you have one outstanding representative, take good care of her because she is definitely taking great care of your customers and because of her I will likely ALWAYS be a Capital One Customer!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2020

I've always hated the 5 star system, because to me you either love them (5) or not (1). That is how I see it. If I am a longtime customer of a company and I have been a good consumer, then of course anyone would expect for that company to help out in a sitch like ours, today. I talked with Steve at the call center today regarding my 2 open accounts and the APRIL payments that I WILL have a problem paying, due to being laid off work. I appreciate the consideration and help that they offered to me. I thank the company as a whole, for taking it on a case by case basis when determining assistance. GREAT JOB Steve and CAP1!

Original review: March 17, 2020

I had multiple credit cards and accounts and a perfect payment history for years, then one month my direct deposit didn't go in and none of my bills get paid, I found the issue had it fixed but things quickly spiraled since it wasn't fixed right away, I contacted all my creditors and out of four only two worked with me. Capital One was exceptional in reaching out to me and offering numerous ways to get back on track, easy plans and even gave me the option of suggesting to them what I could do which I did not take advantage of. I took one of their offers and In two months was back on track, I was still overdrawn but my payments were back on track, once a plan was set they didn't charge me any overdraft fees, late fees, I was only charge the first non-payment fees from the two missed payments before my deposits were fixed and my regular interest.

The two other cards said before i could have a payment plan I had to be at least three months behind in payments, by then the cards doubled my balances with fines and fees so I let them charge off but kept the two that worked with me. When my friends and family get credit card offers I always tell them go with Capital One. I'll never give it up, they were wonderful, understanding and didn't make me feel worse than I already felt.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I've had a problem with fraud twice and Capital One never hesitated to help me. The professionalism of their employees is one of the basic reasons in them being the leaders in the Financial arena. If every company operated like this giant they probably would drive in business. I'd like to thank a Supervisor named Brad that has helped several times. I'd like to thank Rayline (customer service) who helped me today and also David who assisted in helping me today. They corrected my situation with no hesitation. I appreciate Capital One and will continue to do business with them. I will also encourage others to try them as well. I can personally attest to their wonderful customer service.

Carolyn

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Bought custom rims and they did not ship me the correct rims I ordered so I disputed the purchase. I gave Capital One more than enough evidence to prove my dispute. They sent me a letter saying I did not give them a document from another wheel dealer telling what the original merchant did wrong so they closed the case with no warning. When I called them they admitted I gave them a lot of evidence but no letter from another merchant. They would not allow me to reopen that case or open a new case. THEY WILL NOT BACK YOU UP IF YOU HAVE A DISPUTE!!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

If you are trying in any way to build your credit or make your credit score go up this is not the company for you. One main issue is with all their technology all of their online shopping tools, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc... all that stuff but there is no secure messaging? There is no email for existing customers? REALLY? I thought only the most crooked operated that way.

With everything going on this year things have been tough for me just like everyone. My experience with customer service has been mostly friendly (somewhat condescending). Feeling confident that they know/care/want to do their job is not there. Anytime someone response "I don't know why they said that" it makes me want to lose my mind. It's your coworker. Go ask them why they said that. In my experiences unless you have a really high limit or a lot of money in the bank they're just like most other credit cards. It's all: "I wish I could," "The system won't let me," "I don't know why they said that."

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Very disappointed in their high interest (22%) but mostly my frustration is from them charging me interest AFTER I paid my balance off. I was very surprised to receive an email stating that I had a payment due when I knew that the previous month I had paid the entire balance off. When I looked at my transactions, I had paid my entire balance off on 9/3 and on 9/16 Capital One charged me $71.15 of interest on an account with a $0 balance. Calling them was a waste as they refused to waive the fee. I just hope that this will not happen next month too.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I tried to deposit a check using their on line tools. My deposit was rejected because it is from the same payor and same amount as a previous check. The new check is dated past the date of the other deposit, and has a different check number. Capital One advised me to either mail the check into deposit, or open an account with a local bank and have the money transferred. What is the point in using Capital One if I need another local institution to cover for Capital One’s inefficiencies? I might as well simply use a local bank and skip the hassle. Get it together Capital One. It is not uncommon to have like checks from month to month. To make matters worse, calling for assistance and being told I should have a local banking option shows Capital One is aware, but doesn’t care enough to have a solution for their customers.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I've had a Capital One card for 3 years and haven't had any problems with them hardly until Covid hit. I thought they were helping me out but because they don't accept payments on Sundays which is ludicrous. My payment was made on time but was pushed to the next day and a past due fee was assessed. You all need to be ashamed for charging hardworking and dedicated people who pay their bills on time although we might not have it. After I pay this card off. I will be closing my account. I'm very disappointed. I spoke to 2 managers and they were no help and the manager today stated I will never be refunded that past due fee although I've been on the Covid repayment plan since March 2020.

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
    Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
    What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
    There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
    How do you find your Capital One account number?
    You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
    Does Capital One have a mobile app?
    Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
    Where are Capital One branch locations?
    Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One pros and cons

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
    • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
    • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
    • Opt-in overdraft charges

Capital One Company Information