Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.39/5
Based on 1,797 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

4503 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 11, 2019

I spoke to a gentleman I believe his name was Kerry? Or Terry? Point is he was absolutely amazing. I was helped as soon as I found out someone else was using my card. Even though it was 11:30 at night! I have never on the phone had someone as helpful professional, and just plain awesome at handling a stressful situation for a customer. He reminded me multiple times that everything will be alright and that Capital One will take care of everything. His kind words and EXTREMELY professional demeanor were refreshing and amazing to see. He definitely deserves this review, and represented his company so well that I have a completely new view and will be keeping my card for a very long time. A++++++++ service! Thank you!!!!

Original review: April 21, 2019

I am customer since 2011 and very proud to be a Capital One credit card holder. For the first time, I been in a situation which I did not know what to do. I decided to call Customer Service help center and I lay out the problem and they work it out with me step and step to reach my goal. I will recommend everyone to do business with CAPITAL ONE, or be a card holder. I am very satisfied and proud to CAPITAL ONE card holder. When you deeply need it in your darkest, they will make you see the light. Once again, thank you CAPITAL ONE, may God bless your business.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I believe you should always show and share your appreciation for kindness. So I need to share my experience with my Capital One credit card. Please take the time to read this, I would greatly appreciate my story being heard. With that being said I called to make my payment via phone November 1st... I was confused to hear the automated balance was $700 dollars less than my statement balance. I quickly pressed 0 for customer service. Long story short I insisted to escalate the call as to the fact I thought it was an error. It was brought to my attention that my active duty husband enrolled us in SCRA (Servicemembers Civil Relief Act). It’s a program that lowers interest rates to %4, not late fees or membership fees and no finance charges for the duration of his deployment.

I’m sure others (like me) are unaware that Capital One offers this service. $700 might not be a lot to some but it meant the world to me and my husband...Especially with upcoming holidays. Everyone seems to recognize the military only on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. It’s always been a shame being a military. We are ‘really’ honored two days a year. I felt it very necessary to thank management and waited on hold to do so. I spoke with Tyler a military specialist in the SCAR department and he listened to my story. He then thanked my family for our service and also thanked me for being so genuinely and taking the time to say thank you. I will admit I was shocked Tyler had so much empathy for me.

After hanging up I didn’t think experience with Capital One could get any better until today... I received a huge bouquet from 1-800-flowers with the message inside that read... “It was a joy speaking with you. Your positive attitude changed my day, I hope these brightens your day, just like you did for me! Wish you nothing but the best. Daja and Capital One”. I have never felt more important... My hope for sharing this is for all credit cardholders to feel as special and appreciated as I do from a Company/corporation and employees as I do. I don’t feel like a ‘number’ and I know I will be heard in the future when I have questions or concerns. Thank you for taking care of us little people and making us feel important and valued. Not all companies take care of the military. For those of you unaware Capital One does! Forever Grateful.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I would like to rate my experience MUCH higher. My nightmarish financial situation started spiraling downhill two years ago. I've had my Platinum MasterCard card for over 5 yrs and had maintained an excellent payment history until just about a year and a half ago. Medical costs started piling up, my husband went on FMLA and lost 40% of his income, then went on SS Disability and lost another 20%. Through it all, Capital One had my back. Sure, late fees and finance fees started piling up until it wasn't long until I was over my credit limit. I was PROACTIVE and called them as the signs of trouble with being able to meet my payments FIRST began.

I did not wait until they started calling me!!! I truly believe this helped salvage my situation with them. They were kind, understanding and one representative even sent me a gorgeous lightweight blanket filled with words of hope and encouragement! It has taken over 8 months to get to the point where I am UNDER my credit limit now though my balance is still too high for my liking. My payments are now "normal-ish" but doable. Their payment assistance program and department employees helped us with no doubt. Yes, I highly appreciate the opportunities they gave to save my card, help me through, and help to start rebuilding my credit again. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... If you are good to them they will most definitely be good to you.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have spent many years on the internet reading reviews by people whom say they have done business with others, and were treated falsely. While a minority of those internet postings preclude other important factors. Some are honest. Years ago I had a Capital One account, and for unforeseen reasons I defaulted on amounts I owed. Enough years went by that eventually all of the credit reporting agencies purged every record of all of my accounts Which included finance companies, loans, major credit cards, closed store cards, and gas cards. I decided to apply for a Capital One credit card, expecting to be declined, considering I have no accounts showing.

I was approved to my surprise for an unsecured account. They read something in my application in which extended trust to me for credit. And for that I am grateful, so much so that if I had to, I would pick up cans on the side of the road (do anyhow for a free public service) to make sure they are paid for my purchases. While I do not doubt that circumstances have arisen that comments in general are most likely a minority, a small percentage is truthful. While most are leaving out the entire truths.

As a past business owner I know how things work, one satisfied customer will tell two or three people about their satisfaction, while one unsatisfied customer will tell 100 or more. The intent of this post isn't to discount honesty, just reality, that things aren't always black and white. Maybe people are to be better served considering the notion there are God winks all around, pay close attention.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: May 18, 2019

My payments fell behind due to personal issues, so I set up a payment arrangement to get back on track. My card was fine and they said everything would be ok as long as I paid as agreed. I did just that and got caught up and now they have restricted the card. Called to ask why and they said because I fell behind in payments and explained to them that I followed the payment arrangement and have been making on time payments since then and below my credit limit by a lot! They said my restriction will not be removed and may just stay on there until paid off while at the same time they still are able to charge me interest each month?? Why aren't they restricted from charging me interest if I cannot use my card? They said even if it restricted they can still charge the interest which is ridiculous since my card should have never been in a restricted status in the first place.

They got me just like all the other credit card companies that say, "We will work with you to get caught up." and then say "oh by the way, you cannot use your card ever again, but we can still charge you interest". They didn't even give me a reason why the restriction wasn't able to be removed, just that "It's not being removed at this time". What a scam to tell customers who have been loyal long time customers that they will work with you to get caught up because they want you to stay with them, yet screw you at the same time. Lesson learned I guess! So disappointed!

Original review: May 17, 2019

Worst customer service. Capital canceled my card without telling me and never sent a replacement. Found out after my card was denied repeatedly. Their solution a senior acct. specialist by the name Edgar, was to ship me a card next day. Great this was on Thursday so he says it will arrive Monday or Tuesday of the next week. So case in point no customer service no legit solution and they themselves had the fraudulent activity by replacing my card that I never agreed to it or requested.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have had 2 Capital One credit cards for 13 years. I have been paying an annual fee on both since I’ve had them. I decided to call and see if I can have my cards converted to ones that have no annual fee. I was told that in 2006 when I got them I agreed to the terms and conditions. I agreed that I had however as a long time customer I wanted to see if they could reward my loyalty over never having had any late payments. I was told that “there are no upgrades available to you” and basically it is what it is. So I could apply now....as a new customer and get a card with no annual fee but since I’ve been a long time customer I’m stuck with the fee? This is a terrible message you’re sending to your long time customers. Why am I showing loyalty to a company that doesn’t show any to me?

Original review: May 14, 2019

A little over a year ago I applied for a Capital One credit card. I was approved and sent a card. Upon arrival of the card I contacted Capital One. I told the representative over the phone I was no longer interested. I asked for it to be noted on the account, to close the account and I was mailed a letter stating the closure. Fast forward to today, out of the blue I received a statement. It showed my line of credit and a zero balance. Immediately I contacted Capital One. After going round and round with the manager on duty the card was closed. Not one time in over a year did I ever receive a statement of any kind. I had no relationship with Capital One. How is this even possible and how can I trust this won't happen again?

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've put well over a hundred thousand dollars through this credit card over the past 10 years. In this case, I bought an item which arrived not as described (broken). Filed a dispute, got a chargeback. The seller got 45 days to respond. On April 10th I saw that this charge was rebilled on April 01, called in and was told that I only had until April 23rd to respond (which means that even if I saw this right away, they still only gave me 23 days vs the 45 days the seller received). I said that this can't be right and that I would dispute this discrepancy once I received an actual letter statement to this effect from Capital One. The letter arrived on April 17th and stated the case was already closed! So the seller got 45 days to respond, I was told over the phone that I would get 23 days for my response and then by the time an actual letter arrived 17 days later - the case had already been closed!

After a series of complaints, my problem was forwarded to an account supervisor named Julian. I was told to expect a call in the evening PST, but Julian called twice in the morning (when I'm at work) and then refused to call back on three subsequent call back promises that Capital One made thereafter. So out of 5 evening callback requests, I got two morning attempts and then nothing. The last time I called the agent actually told me that Julian is probably not calling me simply because I didn't pick up the fist two attempts (even though, again, these attempts were made at completely different times than I was told to expect them).

I was also told that even if I do get a call as promised, the case is already closed and there's no way to appeal. So, apparently, they can just close a dispute whenever they feel like it and, even when this is a glaring error on their part, there is zero protection offered. Needless to say, I will no longer be doing business with Capital One and don't recommend anyone else does either. The bottom line is that this company's "purchase protection" claims - prove downright fraudulent. To say nothing of their "customer service."

Original review: May 13, 2019

On May 8 I was browsing through my reward points looking at pricing for a potential vacation. I was doing some comparisons and mistakenly clicked to redeem 44,000 points with JetBlue. Immediately after I realized my error I contacted customer service at Capital One to alert them of my error. In conversation with the level one rep they understood my concern but we’re unable to assist. I then requested to speak to a manager and was transferred accordingly. In conversation with the manager he stated that there was nothing he could do to correct the issue. When I asked to speak to his manager he claimed there was no one higher than him then I could talk to. He was a little rude in his tone and suggested we contact JetBlue directly.

I contacted JetBlue and the rep was sympathetic to the situation and simply stated that the points could be returned to Capital One and that a simple email from the points department to JetBlue is all that would be required. I then called back to Capital One and spoke to a new rep who stated that my concern would be escalated to the appropriate team and a review would take five business days. I received a call back this evening May 13th and again explained the situation to the Capital One rep. Once again our request to have the points returned to our account was again denied. I again requested to speak to a manager.

In conversation with the new manager she was unwilling to write a simple email as I requested to JetBlue to resolve this to which I feel is unfair to me being a valued customer. I am very upset with the situation and the lack of customer service Capital One has provided thus far. Your company needs to review their policies to be more customer centric. When errors are made there should be provisions to help the customer. I would appreciate a call within 48 hours as I will be taking this matter to the Better Business Bureau and other social media outlets.

Original review: May 13, 2019

If you plan to open an account and use it right away, this is NOT the choice for you. I opened a 360 savings account 1st, on 05/02 and transferred $5 from my already established non 360 checking account. They do the verification with 2 small deposits into your current account to verify. This finally happened on 5/7. I verified the amounts and thought ok cool I'm good to go finally, and transferred a larger amount. I had opened a 360 checking account in between transferring another $5 to start. I read up online and kept seeing check deposits are usually available the next day. So I went ahead and deposited my paycheck into the 360 checking. Nope, they are holding my paycheck for a WEEK before it will be available.

Typically I would be screwed if my paycheck was held for a week. Fortunately at this time of year it's not going to kill me. Both of my initial $5 transfers have only become available today, 5/13. My larger transfer into 360 Savings last week STILL isn't available. In my opinion, that's ridiculously slow given today's technology. But Capital One pulled their $0.03 and $0.09 verification deposits back out of my non 360 account within hours of my verifying. Maybe they will end up to be good accounts, but it's gonna take forever to find out! I wish someone had given this info in one of the many reviews I read before I started the process.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Omg, I just had the worst day dealing with Capital. Few days ago I used my card purchasing online. Then notice from the company that I purchased from stating I was denied. The another company stating I was denied. So then I finally called Capital One asking them why I was denied? Then the drama start. Questioning all kinds. Wtf. I was just using my card to purchased online. What is the credit card for. I look up online. I did not see anything suspicious charges. I verified my purchased to the Capital One agent.

Here the drama of verifying my identity. Really? I have already verified all to make sure it was me that used my card. Then I was to upload my driver's license so they can verify that it was me. Few days later I never heard back from anyone. Then they ask me if I requested a new card. I said no. I only wanted simple answer "why did you deny my card?" No brain whatsoever. Then today I was someone tried to change my PIN number on some date. So much more drama ahead trying to fix all payment that was done on autopsy coz this people told me you have contact them. That is not our responsibility. Really? What are you then. Easy to take my money. You charge for all the interest but your services sucks.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I rarely use my card and recently placed $10 on it and never received any notice or alert via email or text that a payment was due. I happened to check the app tonight and was also charged a late fee that would harm my perfect 831 credit rating. I attempted to call and speak to someone at Capital One but was told I had to speak to a supervisor only and that rep could not speak to me. No one came onto the line when I was transferred and I tried a second time. After being on hold, I was told they could not tell me when a supervisor would be available. What a scam.

By the way, this is the same Capital One that has been sending checks to members for an alleged unclaimed property refund. I never had any account with Capital One beyond a credit card and when I called a year ago to verify the check was legit, they could not tell me what the $800 refund was about. I believe they are trying to head off a class action lawsuit for overcharging fees, etc. by sending these "refund" checks and refusing to disclose the reasons for the checks. Very dishonest company. The company needs to be investigated for fraudulent practices.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We closed our money market account to move to a bank with a better interest rate. We waited 11 business days for our final check for funds held. I called and they could not even tell me if they mailed the check but they would have to take 3 days to stop payment and then take another 10 business days to issue another check which they would NOT send with tracking so NO ONE could ever prove that they ever sent check.

After calling 3 times more and insisting on speaking to a manager I discovered they never issued the check in the first place!!! Now they are researching why they didn't BUT they still have not returned my money. All I have is a case number. The people were pleasant and always said they are sorry and have a nice day but no one has ever solved the problem of getting me the $104 they have of mine. Recommend emptying account to less than a dollar so you won't care if Capital One never returns the balance to you.

Original review: May 7, 2019

WARNING! SCAM ALERT! DO NOT GET A CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD. If you make your payment early they charge you twice. I just got a card from them on April 14, 2019. My first payment was not due until May 28, 2019 so I decided to make my payment early so I wouldn't have to worry about it at the end of the month and made my payment on April 25, 2019 for more than the amount due. Now they are telling me I still have to make my first payment on May 28 even though I already paid it. That is like paying your electric bill early and then when the bill gets there they charge you for it again. Capital One is a rip off.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have been with the company for 2 years and got about it $200 increase. I have never been late, I've paid my card off in full several times and have built my credit to over 650 from under 550. I just got a $15,000 line of credit from a different company but they won't even increase me to a $1000?!? It's pitiful and it's sad. If it wasn't for me trying to get a home I would cancel this crappy card a long time ago!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Everything I was promised re this co has been a 100% LIE. My balance was always at zero, and I have automatic payments. For NO reason, I could not use my card at my local, regular grocery store. HOURS of calls later, to reps & managers who REFUSED to escalate my call yet could NOT speak fluent, understandable English, I finally got a woman who gave the most ridiculous excuses re why my purchase was denied ie it was an unusual sale. NO, it wasn't.

This was my local grocery store, and the amount of purchase was less than 1/2 the several previous ones. Just today as I was finally physically well enough to take care of some badly needed errands, I got a call from Capital One with NO EXPLANATION as to the cause. Plus the rep said she was leaving the office for the day. HOURS later I got a bunch of reps who would NOT listen to anything I had to say. I DO NOT NEED THIS EXTREME STRESS IN MY LIFE.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have had an issue with accessing my account online for several months now. I've called back well over a dozen times to get help with this. ZERO support has been given. There have been numerous excuses and promises to fix the issue and I've been told to call back in a week. Capital One does not return phone calls supposedly. It has been a very VERY frustrating issue and rather appalling at how little Capital One cares on fixing an issue with their products. This Credit Keeper app keeps trying to get me to sign up. It has been horrible. I would not waste my time with such a terrible product.

Original review: May 6, 2019

For years I never obtained a credit card due to my credit score. I kept getting all these ads in the mail for preapproval so I finally decided to apply due to me going out of town. Was approved for $300 credit limited which I was grateful. I kept trying to sign up to pay online and it kept saying can’t verify. So I called to made a payment and asked about why I couldn’t pay online. He asked for my Social Security stated that my Social Security number was inputted incorrectly per Capital One. He proceeded to tell me he would have to get me over to the fraud department. Mind you I was not happy with the customer service person. She kept me on hold for 45 minutes. She stated I would need to verify who I was. Sent the information.

I get a call from a rude person from Capital One stating due to my Social Security information my card would be restricted. I was shocked by how she spoke to me. I ask what info about my SS number was an issue. She could not give me one answer with her rude self. I asked to speak with a Supervisor. After 15 minutes of waiting for someone to come back on the back on the line I spoke with Micheal (fake, extremely rude). I express my concern and the unfairness to me the consumer as to why and if it can be fixed. Still could not give me any reason for this whole mess. I asked to speak with someone higher up. One to three days they will contact you (we know Lies). I knew this wouldn’t get resolved. So I called back and spoke with a very intelligent lady manager.

I explained everything that happened. She was very apologetic. Which I greatly appreciated. But still not happy. They inputted a incorrect SS number more that what my SS was. She explained that because it was not my SS number it would never get reported to the Credit Bureau, which I totally understand. There is a balance on the card that I would have to pay. Mind you it’s not my SS number. She advised me that I would need to reapply with my SS number. I agreed and I did and got declined. Go figure. So I have a bill that’s not mine and got declined under my own SS. Plus the rudeness of everyone. I would NEVER EVER RECOMMEND ANYONE TO CAPITAL ONE.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I called in last week to verify the debit card I had active from a previous Capital 360 checking account will transfer over the recently new checking account that I opened and was told by a customer service agent that it will. So I called again on 05/02/2019 to verify that the card will work because I will be receiving my direct deposit on Friday and was informed by a different customer service agent that it was closed and could not be reopened.

She then informed me she would get me a card mailed out by expediting the card to me free of charge since I was given the wrong information the first time. So today 05/05/2019 I call the customer service support and was told no debit card was ever order for the new account that I received my direct deposit into. So I am beyond disappointed and dissatisfied with the lack of ethics within the customer service support team.

Being that this is primarily an online bank since they do not have physical branches located in Illinois I will be closing my accounts and credit cards because of the poor service I received. I have bills that need to be paid and now I have to wait 7-10 business days to receive my debit card. Is unacceptable. I also work in the consumer banking field and can say this is the worst service I’ve received in a long time. So future online consumer beware of the lack of ethics and inconsistent information you receive from the customer service department.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I received an invitation to open a credit card account with Capital One. I applied and was approved. Fast forward 6 months, in that time, I ended up getting a new phone with a new number. I went to pay my bill for its most recent cycle. Upon using my new phone, it did not recognize my IP address. The only way to sign in was to verify from my old phone number. It is not in service. I call the number provided. Fast forward almost an hour of being on hold, they could not authorize me to change my phone number. I do not have an I.D. Granted, they never bothered asking for one when I applied and was approved. I got this credit card without an I.D. I am 86 years old. I don’t drive. I have no need for one. So I have been making due as is.

After being denied the ability to change my phone number merely so I may pay my bill, I ask if I could pay it over the phone. The woman said I could. We hang up. I call the number. Give my details. The automated system then changed from my last call out. Now it demands I verify my information. I do not have this ability, as I do not have the picture documents. This said, I am literally unable to pay this month's bill of $25 on time. Needless to say, I cut my Capital One card and put it in the envelope. I will send to the billing department, along with a money order when I am able to get one.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Capital One claims they do this to "secure their customer's information". If that was their intent, they would have denied me the ability to get a card because I do not have a form of picture ID. Clearly, I received a card. This means someone could have taken my social security number and gotten this card just as easily. Never have I ever been so frustrated by a hypocritical credit card company. Disgusting.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Capital One gave me a second chance when nobody else would with a credit card with a $300 limit, and after 6 months of my prompt monthly payments they raised my limit to $500. Later I got an offer for a car loan (which I desperately needed)! Thank you so much to Capital One for giving me the opportunity to rebuild my credit and my car loan when I desperately needed it!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Applied for Spark business credit card, received the card, told them had to have paper statements mailed to business, instead statement was received online. Bill was not paid on time because they screwed up, charged late fee and interest charge. Next month more problems. Long story short, bill got paid twice. I cancelled card. They sent info to collections dept. Now they say I will have to wait up to 90 days to receive a check for 2100 dollars that was overpaid. Chase credit cards are the way to go.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Saw ad on TV for Savor card. Applied and got the card. Used it for five months, and was able to get great $$$$ on Rewards as I purchased Season Tickets for Cardinals baseball. Out one day, tried to use card and it was declined. Called customer service and was told the account was closed, and decision was not reviewable. Was given no reason for the action taken, and was told I would receive a letter in the mail, which after a month I have not received. Only thing I can guess, is they did not like the $$$ paid out, as I did not carry any balance, so they got no interest income. If they want to offer the 4% then live with the cost of the offering. POOR way to treat a customer!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have a checking and 2 savings account with Capital One. Yesterday I made too many transfers from my savings account to my checking account. This resulted in Capital One closing my savings account, they transferred my remaining balance to my old, closed Bank of America!! You would think that they would bother to notify me before taking this action and may transfer my money into one of my existing Capital One accounts. The lack of communication is appalling.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Apparently Capital One is suppose to notify you if you have reached or are reaching your withdraw limit from a savings account. Never received a email or text alert as they claimed on the phone is suppose to happen. I logged into my account today to check if a transfer had gone through and found out they had closed out my account without notice. I would as they claimed be getting a check in the mail in about 7 business days. However, I live in an major city where both packages and mail get stolen all the time and this check for several thousands of dollars won't require a signature. I have had this same account for over 10 years and I will be promptly switching banks. I personally think it's bad business closing a large sum account with no notice.

Original review: May 1, 2019

At its inception, I applied for and received a Capital One Savor Card. I heavily relied on the fact that this card was conceived and promoted based on the fact that it provided its users the ability to earn 4% Rewards on purchases of "DINING and ENTERTAINMENT". I have now found out that "category code" that the merchant supplies Capital One, determines the reward level of benefits that the Savor Card will pay the cardholder. Specifically, two of the merchants among many others, that I question are NETFLIX and DIRECTV. These items were classified as "phone/cable" not Entertainment! My purchase of both Netflix and DirecTV were purchased directly from the merchant and included no phone or cable cost packaging. Both of these merchants now pay a rewards of 1% not 4%!

After contacting Capital One, I was told that they had to go by the code provided by the merchant and felt "no responsibility" to evaluate that code as to its correctness. Finding that NETFLIX and DIRECTV are not classified as ENTERTAINMENT seems to be a valid error that needs to be changed, if Capital One continues to promote the Savor Card to reward its cardholders 4% on the Entertainment. I would assume that if this is not corrected, a Class Action suit will eventually would be pursued by cardholders.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Capital One credit card for approximately a year and a half. The first payment that I made unfortunately bounced because the bank that I was using the prepaid debit card they charge me a drawing of use and sometimes when I made my payment if the company didn’t take the pay within five days they would take the fee at the bank and then leave it short. The debit card even charge me a dollar to call for questions. My account showed the payment posted and they doubled my credit on the card and I spent it because I didn’t know that that it happened and that happened the very first month.

As soon as I found out what happened I paid the bill and fall and continue to pay the bill and for every month since. I’ve always had really good credit but went on disability and my credit rating went down which was why I was on a Hi-Rez credit card with Capital One. I was told that I would get a credit line increase and I’m used to having 20,000 or credit cards and this was $300.

After a year and a half of making my team is on time I was never given a credit line increase. I was told that I probably wouldn’t get one but some of the customer service rep said, "Oh I that wished all of our customers accounts to just looked like yours." When I explain to Capital One that I would request wanna never get anything in writing in the mail their system or just say will notify you in 3 to 5 days which is no. I didn’t get a notification that I have been approved for a car loan up to $35,000. They told me to go to a dealer that I had done business with before so I did and bought the car. The car is not finance to Capital One. I was never approved with Capital One and their email to me about being approved was all **. Some kind a marketing gimmick I’m sure.

When I explain to Capital One that I would request one and never get anything in writing in the mail their system or just say will notify you in 3 to 5 days which is no. I didn’t get a notification that I have been approved for a car loan after $35,000. They told me to go to a dealer that I had done business with before so I did and bought the car. The car is not financed to Capital One. I was never approved with Capital One and their email to me about being approved was all **. Some kind a marketing gimmick I’m sure. Why when I called Capital One to inquire about my approval they said oh well you’re not approved we just wanted you to know that you could get a preapproval from us. That is in ** I don’t know what is.

Anyway I called and discussed both issues with Capital One and they just said, "Oh we’re sorry" and so I close my account with the rep on the phone and have never received an email or sorry. Nothing. Like I was nothing. I can’t write an email to them. I can’t notify them. It’s just as well I don’t have anything nice to say.. I would’ve appreciated a call or "We're sorry" or kiss my ** but apathy and treated as if you’re nothing. I have one word and it starts with ** you.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I recently was injured off my job. I will be out of work for three weeks. I contacted all of my creditors including Capital One. I was able to defer all accounts but Capital One. 44 payments on time, 3 car loans, 0 bal, 3 CC 0 bal. They all tell me the computers are making the Email rich.fairbank@capitalone.com. Telephone 703-720-1000. Switchboard 703-720-1000. Website https://www.capitalone.com. No help or word from the CEO. Sold my stock and contacted news media and BBB.

Capital One expert review by Beverly Harzog

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.

• Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.

• Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.

• Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.

• Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.

• Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.

• Best for: Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Capital One Company Information