Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I think it's been almost 3 or 4 months since I opened and used my Capital One 360 checking account. My personal information especially my SSN that I gave them was true. My SSN I got it from my lawyer who was fixing my papers when my first employer filed a petition for me. But the only problem is I haven't tried to use it whenever I worked. Anyway, I know if ever your information can't verify or didn't match, whatever you're applying especially opening a bank account or applying credit card; they won't approve it. But they approved my checking and savings account. November 28, 2016 my friend decided to have a joint account. They approved the joint account and that same day my friend deposited her check $2828 on her tablet.

Since $5000 is the max deposit for the day. She asked me to deposit her other check, I did. Then next day I just saw on my account when I checked online, there was a note saying that I need to call them. They put hold on our account. I called and they told me that they can't verify my SSN. I told them that why only now. I've been using this account for the past 3 months. They asked to get W9. I told them if ever I'll have problem on getting W9, what's going to happen? They just said that get W9 and fax it to them. My friend called them also and they asked her more than 10 questions past addresses, cross street and she said that the only question that she can't remember was the year when her SSN was issued. She said she'll get her SSN card just to be sure. Every info about her was true.

Then they said that unfortunately she wasn't able to pass. Usually they're going to ask for proof of identity driver's license, SSN card to fax it to them. But with them just close the account and they can't even give us the balance that was on our account. We called again, they gave us another option so we could get the money. They told us to call the issuer of the check for stop payment. And they even said that whatever balance that was on the account it will go back to the check issuer and whatever amount that we got we have to be responsible for that. But when we called the issuer and asked them for stop payment, the first check that was deposited was already paid and even the 2nd one.

Then now we tried to call Capital One, those guys or customer service that we talked to they're rude, don't have good manners. We just asked them what's going to the rest of my friend's money. They said that we can't get anything because everything was fraud. And they said that they don't have business with us anymore and just hang up. My friend's info are real and the checks that we deposited was under her name so why can't she get the rest of her money.

I recently opened up a new credit card to clean up my credit. I used a new bank account to make the payments. But when the payments went through, the account defaulted to an old account I shut down. I've have since made payments from my current bank account to bring it current. But the strange thing about it is, the old account it defaulted to, is nowhere to be found on my Capital One account. When I asked a representative about it, they tried to blame it on me. I asked if it would report to my credit, and the girl said, "I don't know. I'm no credit expert." I am so frustrated with Capital One. Credit is just not something you mess with. I would definitely stay away from ever using them.

I've been with Capital One for many years and have never had any cause to be concerned but did run into an issue with transferring of monies from my 360 account to my credit card. After speaking with an agent, I was promised that, as a one-time courtesy, my $59 would be waived but for me to call beforehand to confirm. I called to confirm and was told that, yes, that would happen. It did not happen and I was charged the $59. I phoned and spoke with three different agents but the bottom line was: The first agent didn't know about the changes to their governing practices, i.e., was either incompetent, or lied or was a nice person and they, themselves were just greedy and really not understanding what Customer Service is. Do NOT do business with these people. Ever.

Was approved for a card and as soon as it came in it automatically said it had fraud on it. I submitted my photo i.d., ss card, bank statements, utility bill, lease and my rent notice. None of this was good. They still wanted more information. This company is a ripoff and kept saying they wanted to protect me. How are you protecting me by gathering all my information and then saying it's not good enough. My cooperation should be good enough especially when I hadn't even activated the card. I now have a hard hit on my credit report for a card I have and will never use. Do not apply for one of their cards.

After having this card over 4 years with excellent credit and payment history, we had 2 incidents of a "late payment" this past year. It seems when a check is mailed through the post office, there is a very long time until the check is posted, with the check arriving at the facility and not being processed right away. This resulted in 2 "lates" from them. We requested a credit increase due to doubling our annual business income, and they flat out refused. They would not remove the late marks from our account, and when I asked to discuss with other levels of management , they put me on hold, then asked if I would like to close my account.

They obviously do not value my business nor me as a customer. This is not the first time I have had issues with them. Their miles program is also not very good. They are not at all helpful to you when there is a problem. Overall, I am looking to move to American Express. I have had nothing but excellent interactions with them. Do not get a Capital One Card!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

I am working on rebuilding my credit and so I applied for Capital One Quicksilver and was notified that I was approved for 1k. I later receive an email stating I need to first prove my identity by submitting two forms of ID. I successfully upload my documents and even receive confirmation. Then I get an email and phone call saying there was fraudulent activity on my account, I never even got to activate my card!! So shady, I will NEVER deal with this company again. I received the new credit card and could not activate it although I was approved. They said I needed to reapply due to a discrepancy. Awful awful company. I now have a hard inquiry on my credit for nothing!!

I went on Capital One website to pay my bill and an ad popped up for this skin cream $4.95 for a 'trial'. It arrived and I saw a $188.94 charge on my credit card. I disputed this to no avail. Tried to send it back unopened. No luck. I was told they would call me. Never did. Capital one offered minimum help. In the end I couldn't get out of it. Capital One shouldn't allow this on their website. Buyer beware.

CAPITAL ONE AND PROSPERITY BANK HOLDING HOSTAGE HARD WORKING SINGLE MOTHER AND DISABLED SON’S $4,500.00. This mother works 6 days a week to completely support her family!! She deposited $4,500.00 Cashier’s Check into the night deposit so that she could have money to move herself and her disabled son from San Antonio to Tyler. The Cashier’s Check (which is to be just like CASH) well the Cashier’s check was deposited into the account and then the mother noticed the next day it was gone out of the account. The mother went immediately to branch of CAPITAL ONE BANK in Tyler, Texas where the Cashier’s Check was deposited and asked for her cashier’s check. They expressed to her that they are unable to give her the check and they will mail the check to the address on the account.

The mother explained that she was going to be moving from that address that same day and would no longer be at the address in San Antonio and begged and pleaded with the bank that that was all the money in the world she had to support herself and her son. The bank just snickered well you better change your address on the account because you are NOT getting the check today (November 2, 2016). The mother and son called immediately to customer service and changed the address on the account. However, CAPITAL ONE BANK still overnighted the Cashier’s Check in the amount of $4,500.00 to a vacant apartment in San Antonio, Texas. WORST part is they sent it FedEx overnight with NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED. Therefore, the ONLY MONEY IN THE WORLD THIS MOTHER and DISABLED SON HAVE has now been LEFT AT THE DOOR OF A VACANT APARTMENT COMPLEX in the middle of SAN ANTONIO, Texas.

Yes, as you can imagine the package was stolen. The hardworking mother that has never asked for anything was now moving to a new city and has taken a new job and has NO FOOD for herself or her son. The mother and son sit for days at the bank begging and pleading for someone to help and cancel the check and give her the money she so desperately needs. She has deadlines to pay her bills. She needs food. She has never received welfare and is not about to ask for anything. She only wants her money so she can take care of her family. They have bills that are automatically taken out of the Capital One account each month. Those have been sent back unpaid YET CAPITAL ONE BANK has charged the account $35.00 for each transaction so now the account is negative over $600.00 and her bills have not been paid!!

She has deadlines to pay her insurance premium. She has deadlines to pay her rent. She not received a paycheck yet on her new job!! She really needs America's help today!! Capital One and Prosperity Bank still has her money and will not give it to her. It has been 25 days since she has had her money!! The banks are telling her it will be 90 days before she gets it back!! THANK GOD for her friend who went and purchased them groceries. HOWEVER, those are running out! The phones have been shut off all the while Capital One and Prosperity Bank are holding her money hostage while the family is suffering!! NOT A GREAT THANKSGIVING FOR THIS FAMILY!!! The disabled son doesn't son doesn't even have a bed to sleep on. He’s sleeping on a couch. THE MONEY IS SO URGENTLY NEEDED FOR THIS FAMILY!!

I applied for my first credit card with Capital One, and received a student credit card with a $500 limit. When using the online banking app I entered my account number incorrectly and made two payments without noticing. I called customer service several times to make sure the correct account number was now on my account. After calling customer service I was informed the balance was going to be on a freeze for five days, and I could pay it off as soon as the balance shows in my account. When the balance was available five days later I paid the full amount and there were no problems. After discussing my concerns about my account number and actively trying to fix the problem I was informed everything was fixed and my account looked fine.

The day after paying off my balance I called to confirm that the payment had gone through and was informed that everything was fine and my balance had been paid off. When I checked to see if the amount had been put back on my credit card the app stated that my card was restricted and I could no longer use it. I called customer service again and spoke with a representative who informed me that my account had been closed due to an excessive amount of returned payments. I informed him I had spoke with three people on previous days and had never been informed of this and was told my account was perfect the day before.

I asked to speak with the supervisor and she said the same thing. She informed me that it was a "business decision" due to my two returned payments and told me there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. I am no longer able to hold a credit card with Capital One, and needless to say I would never attempt to bank with them again. I highly recommend choosing any other credit card, their benefits are not worth dealing with negligent airheads who have the ability to ruin your credit from something as simple as an error when using their amazing online banking option. Absolutely disappointing.

Capital One has actually been great. Right up till there was a problem. I pay off my card every month and have been for 5 years. I have a pretty good credit score. I happen to be on vacation at payment time and neglect to make a payment to them. My fault: I'll have to pay interest and a penalty... OK, I screwed up. To my surprise, a week after the due date my card was not approved at the cash register. BOTH my Capital One cards had been deactivated. I had to activate a card I never use via phone to get thru the cashier's line. When I called them, they said I had better pay quickly because in another week I would be reported to the credit Bureaus as a delinquent customer. So, they got $80 in interest and penalties and I got NOTHING but bad mouthed. They have earned WAY too much money from me to be treated that way. I'm looking for another card.

After being with Capital One for many years now and making my payments on time always, I requested a small increase for Christmas. Was rejected with some lame excuse that I couldn't even understand. They are truly a rip off. I will be shopping for a new card ASAP.

Be ready for a overdraft fee of $35 even if the account is overdrawn by just .05. That is their words not mine. I will say that most of my experience with them has been okay. But this policy is just terrible and really can have a big effect on a person. I will be switching very soon.

By far the worst banking institution I have ever dealt with. They will straight up take money out of your deposits when using an atm. It's completely unheard of. Then you have to make a claim (it seriously happened 3 times) and months later they will very casually just take the money from your account back without telling you. So basically they are complete thieves. The atm took $200 in cash from me the third time and they credit my account 21 days later, around 45 days after that they just took it back and said they couldn't find my money... WTF.

Fighting with these people is getting old when you lock me out of my account after it was paid and I used it 4 times the day you lock me from using it and then to go through my bank not 1 but 2 times because there uniformed employees that need to speak fricking English.

I've tried to cancel my Capital One card today am. I was on hold, two times for app: 40 mins each time, I couldn't connect with them. I left a message, saying, "I want to cancel my card and Do Not add another year membership fee." I even sent a message through Facebook Capital One, and left a message with one of their advisers, with the same message, "Cancel card, and don't add another membership fee." I couldn't believe a call I got this evening. I got a message from Capital One, saying, I have 3 days to make a payment, because my card is way over its limit, which it was under its limit just after last week's payment.

If this payment is not made in 3 days, they're going after my credit file?? Are you kidding me. Just after I've tried all day to connect with these people, and I informed them, to cancel this card, and don't add a yearly membership fee on it, they actually did the opposite of what I was requesting?? I owed them just under $300.00. Now they just added another yearly member ship fee, that brings me up towards the $400.00 mark. Now I will file with the Consumers Relations Board, and Capital One will not see a penny, until they correct their greedy little ways. By the way, I have copies of all my attempts to cancel my card and request no further membership fees from you. Straighten your act out Capital One.

Credit card issues - They have horrible customer service. Everyone gives you a different answer. No one explains anything to you when you have a problem. They lock up accounts and charge you late fees. They have high interest rates and the reps are extremely disrespectful and unhelpful.

Credit fraud services stopped usage on credit card. When my husband called to rectify the issues they demanded a copy of his social security card. We did not feel comfortable making a copy so we went to the local Capital One bank with a bank manager verifying his identity and called the credit card services. 5 days later they still demanded the social security card and said that this was normal practice. I've had Capital One credit cards for 8 years and banking services for 1 year. I never had this problem and even the Capital One bank manager said he never heard of this before. Capital One's Credit Card repeatedly told my husband it wasn't his account so they closed his account. Then they send a bill asking him to pay, but per their customer service they even stated he could not be verified this was his account.

This bank sucks like no other. They charge about the highest interest rates of any bank and my wife and I are now eating it up. If your balance is near your maximum it will cost you heavy. And once you've paid off any card you wind up paying about double your credit limit. Many years ago I had Capital One and once I paid off card they begged me even offering me a fixed interest and I said "shove it".

They are biggest liars like killary and like her love money, so my suggestion is pay off your capital one cards and close them period like I'm doing. They looked for most vulnerable people and I do admit our credit, aka. my wife and me our credit is in fair range but gouging on interest isn't answer and they're enjoying it now but when we close all our accounts, (3 of them) it's bye to capital one. BOTTOM LINE, THEY'RE BIGGEST RIPOFF!

I was approved for a Capital One Secured Mastercard and added an additional deposit on 10/19 to increase my credit limit. There is a 10 day hold on any deposit and it had been 3 weeks on 11/8 when I called. Customer Service said they would need to send an e-mail to the Secured Department which will take up to 3 business days for a response and then would take an additional 7 to 10 business days before I can see the money in my account. So at best case, it will be November 23 to see the money in my account and could be November 29th before I see the money. So, 5 to 6 weeks to see a deposit clear is totally unacceptable.

I was locked out of my account. Had to argue to make a payment and was charged a $25 late fee when they locked my account. When I called the person working with me didn't speak English I could understand to unlock my account. Worst customer service ever!!!

I changed my credit card to prevent LA Fitness from charging my credit card for services I did not receive. Capital One gave them access to my new card and even after I canceled the card they added charges to the card. After I called Capital One I was told that MasterCard allow merchants access to credit cards even if the consumer blocks them or change the card. I asked them if their loyalty is to me their customer or the merchant. I was told that's just how Mastercard works and there is nothing they can do.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I am pleased to say that Capital One was able to help me not in the way I had planned, but I definitely have a positive opinion of them now.

Sydney of Pike Road, AL on

Original Review

I have contacted Capital One on two separate occasions to see if there were any hardship assistance programs that they offered to try to get my debt under control after a divorce. I am struggling financially and would like to work on getting my account balance down. I have inquired about a rate reduction but all they will offer is a payment arrangement which does not help considering I am not behind on my payments and am making the minimum payment. I am trying to avoid bankruptcy, but they don't seem to be interested in helping a customer that has been with them for 10 plus years.

I have 4 different bank accounts: BBVA Compass, Chase, Paypal, Capital One Bank. From all the mobile apps Capital One bank has the best mobile app. And also I haven't got any overdraft fees with Capital One. However, I have got 18$ from Chase and 78$ from BBVA Compass for overdraft fees [TRUE STORY]! Whenever I report my card was lost they gave me a new card for free. Other banks have extra fees on it, like 5$. Easy money transfer between checking accounts and I can easily lock my card in case if it is stolen from the mobile app. The customer service is also great! I never had problems with Capital One. Simply it is best!

I called Capital One and got the corporate switchboard. I call and asked for executive service and I kept getting transfer to customer service. I kept calling back. I asked them to transfer me to executive service and they refuse. Capital One is a rip-off and have bad customer service. None of them need a job.

I made a P2P transfer from my checking account. It has been many days, money never reached the intended recipient. Contacted CapitalOne360, the 'manager' to whom I escalated bluntly said I should check with the recipient bank and/or the clearinghouse. Now, I am pursuing this issue with governmental regulatory agencies. I was an ING Direct customer. Capital One killed all the greatness of ING Direct! Such careless, inhumane, customer service. I have a long term relation with them but, now, deciding to retire everything.

They opened me a Quicksilver Visa card in May 2016 with a $3,000 credit line. I have had past credit problems. Originally they said after 5 on time payments they would increase my credit line. On my October 2016 statement they increased my credit line without me asking to $12,500. I was NOT expecting that but it was a good surprise. They did just what they said they would do and went way beyond what I was expecting. GREAT JOB Capital One.

We recently rented a vacation rental. After a few hours of being in the rental, we had a water leak running down the wall and discovered mice (I had one run out in front of me). We called Capital One right away to find out what our options were. We were told repeatedly not to worry, that everything would be fine and that we were covered by our credit card. We were told to take lots of pictures to document our case. Based on this information, we left the residence the following day and the owner refused to give us a refund for the other 6 nights we did not use.

To make a long story short, after sending in documentation, we were told that we had no course of action and would have to pay the owners after all. We were also told that they wouldn't accept pictures as documentation and that the only way we would receive a refund was if the owner gave us a credit voucher. Why would they give a credit voucher if there was a dispute?? So basically, we are out $1300. I feel like I was lied to by Capital One and I was told things that basically were not true, which led us to leave the residence based on this false information. Capital One has cost me lots of money because of this.

I have had this card for since 2008 and had this account balance coverage premium charge on my statements which appears to be part of the credit card charges. It is a separate company of which they are partners of Capital One. The company is called Canadian Premier Life Insurance. If you have this on your card cancel it immediately as you don't have to have this and they very rarely pay out the claims. The phone number is next to the charge. Capital One is a very disgusting example of company that puts you deeper into financial slavery. Pay off your card and cancel it!!!

Capital One bought out my airline ccard after using it for over 15 years. I continued using it. I made a payment that CapOne said wasn't received, they shut down the card within 2 days & sent notification to EACH CREDIT REPORTING AGENCY that I was delinquent. I'm grateful that I wasn't in a foreign country at this time & had only their card to pay for things. I proved it was sent on time, had my bank provide copies that it was cashed & provided that to CapOne. It took about two weeks to accomplish this.

After that I had to recontact the credit reporting agencies to get re-established again. They are the worst company I've ever dealt with in over 40 years of having credit cards. They should not be able to have that in their fine print (if they do) & they can get away with it. No need to contact me as it's been resolved but please investigate their practices. I know to travel with at least two credit cards in case one is lost/stolen. I shudder to think if that had happened & I had to pay a hotel bill before checking out or if I needed anything in an emergency. Thank you.

I made an agreement with a long term repayment plan. Another staff member reviewed it and changed it stating I agreed with it. Liars. I want them paid off ASAP. They lied. I want attorney if their services are free only.

Compare Credit Cards