Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Never had an issue with Capital One for the past 5-8 years or so until this past year. Had a mysterious charge show up on account, we put in for fraud complaint. Received no assistance, no papers as promised & they put acc. in collections. But we were still receiving a statement as well! I had put in a complaint, their CSR told us that it would be straightened out. But never was. Husband had to cancel card and was told that it was our responsibility to collect money from where the mysterious charge stemmed from. Go with VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS ANYTHING ELSE BUT CAPITAL ONE. Oh yes, and record all your conversations but do not tell them. They won't talk to you if they know they are being recorded. How convenient for them! As a consumer, I cannot even protect myself by recording the conversation. Well I have at least that part recorded if anyone want to hear it.

In February 2017 a person in Fort Worth, Texas, made a charge to my Capital One credit card without my knowledge or consent. I contacted Capital One. They sent me the name of the person who purchased a blender from Office Depot (a phone order). I do not know how that person got my credit card number, but the point is, Capital One still has not deleted the charge from my account, and each month they add a late charge and interest to my account. I always paid my credit card bill in full and on time, but I refuse to pay the $179.68 for a blender I did not buy, and I refuse to pay the late charges and interest. It will be a cold day in hell before I use that credit card again or have anything to do with Capital One, and I am telling everyone who will listen about the horrible experience I have had with this company.

Beware of Capital One. If you want to avoid a major headache and fraudulent charges, do NOT use Capital One Credit Cards! Have had them for years and I used to sing their praises. But starting in April 2017 began a nightmare that has cost me over 700$ in charges I don't owe. It began when fraud charges amounting to over $3,000 hit my account in $10.00 increments from Google Play. It has taken me months and hours of phone calls for credits and debits between Capital One and Google, and all the time I am making my payments on only the legitimate charges I have made.

Now suddenly in July, only two weeks after I made an $800 payment (paid over what I owed) they claim I still owe $725.37. When I made the woman in the fraud department go over, item by item and payment by payment she admitted I only owe a little over $200 for this next billing cycle. But they are sticking me with a charge of 725.37 because they claim my account was double credited. Doesn't matter if it was quadruple credited as long as I've been making the payments on my own purchases!! I've nearly lost my mind trying to talk sense to these people. They are nothing but cheats and liars and will make money any way they can included putting a fraudulent amount on your bill! Never will I use this Credit Card company again. Public... Beware of Capital One!

I became a customer of Capital One by default from ING. Capital One customer service is horrible... you wait and wait. After you wait, the rep cannot help you in any way. You wait and wait to get the manager and they cannot help you either. The people who staff this bank DO NOT want you to become their customer... I think it is too much work for them. THEY GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO BE RUDE TO YOU SO YOU WALK OUT OF THE BRANCH.

CASE IN POINT AT BRANFORD, CT BRANCH. If you show up at a branch, as in Branford, CT, the manager and tellers although do not appear to be helping any customers go out of their way to alienate you. I walked in there to open a business account... I walked out so angry at how they treated me (I have lots of money in the account and have been a customer for over 10 years). I walked out WITHOUT opening an account especially at how the female manager treated me. I presume she was put at this new site to attract customers. Her boss should be informed. She is doing no such thing. This bank is taking a dive. I am on my way to taking my money out to another bank.

I've been a member for 10 years. The last purchase made was back in September of 2015. I have been making my monthly payments each month. I just called because I received a statement and noticed that my interest rate is at a whopping 23.24%. What!!! I've been paying double in interest each month and haven't used the card since 2015. I called to request a review and was told their fees are current but that they appreciate my on time payments each month. I am appalled, to say the least, that a company I have been with for 10 years would charge such a high rate of interest for someone that has a good credit score. I have 8 other credit cards and none of those have this high of a rate. It's downright unfair and just their way to keep you paying for years when you're simply trying to pay off your card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Please stop offshoring your customer service. This is the second time I have tried to call Capital One to reactivate my card. It was blocked because of a security breach on their end. I haven't been able to use my card for over a month, resulting in a $60 charge because I have $0.00 balance. I have now been on hold for 21 minutes while they bounce me from one department to another. In comparison, I also have a Chase Sapphire credit card which has phenomenal customer service. I don't understand why Capital One would not be motivated to provide similar caliber service. This is incredibly frustrating.

Contacted chat service to assist in unfreezing account, set up autopay due to late fee since the site provides very misleading payment due date information with minimum payment amount inaccurate. They kept me online for 1.5 hrs with two different chats. Lost connection to the first one "Larry". Then on new chat was transferred 5 times and yet was not able to obtain info on payment set up, clarification as to the reason site states $0 amount due on 8-3 yet account past due charging late fee.

Employees such as Sachin **, Alex, Balbo and Steven (employee ID **). They all provided me with automated responses, specifically Alex mocked me and kept to asking me the same questions (auto response). In the end they all asked same questions, transferred and lied between what they could see or verify. They were not able to answer any questions and ultimately I was told to call. WAIT TIME IS UNREALISTICALLY long. Very upset with level of service provided.

I have a horrible experience with Capital One bank Customer Service. I'm trying to contact the Bank over 100 times, by phone, by email and I'm still waiting for somebody contact me. I have a serious complaint about customer service and some questions about my husband and mine own accounts. I made over 3 complaints by phone, the bank received them, assigned a number case and forget about them. I have over a month trying to get in touch with somebody who can help me, but no luck it all.

I love this company and how they keep a close eye on your account. They make sure someone does not charge up charges on your card. They have done this a couple times for me. They make me feel secure. One of the charges did not go through and was denied. The other charge, they took off my card. I have had this card for many years and I am completely satisfied with Capital One.

I was their client since 1995! Closed my account in 2010 and wanted to reopen it. Every time they called him, they kept asking for documents and he would send them. They even asked me to change my address on my Citi account and I even did that. Even after that they said they could verify who I was. I ask to go directly to a branch, they said it HAD to be done online. This has been the worst experience ever! I have excellent credit and trusted @Capital One. Now they won't even cancel the card that I received that is restricted. But... good news. Went to my bank who approved me for a Citi Prestige Card and AE gave me an American Express Centurion Card. This puts Capital One to shame. Bad customer service, bad verification department.

I have been a customer with Capital One two years this month. I got an alert from Credit Karma stating I had two accounts closed and my score went up. I was thinking it was an old account that closed. I log into credit karma and notice Capital One closed both of my credit card accounts. I called Capital One asking why did they close my accounts and I just made a payment on one card and the other wasn't due until July 25th. The representatives said the reason it was closed because I had two payments came back returned during the two years. One returned payment was 2015 and the other was couple months ago. I said that's ridiculous and things happens. The representative said, "Well I guess you're the lucky one because we have the right to close an account if there's one returned payment."

So not only did they closed my credit card accounts but of course I still have to pay the balances and reapply for another card. Even before they closed my account I noticed they took my deposit couple weeks and applied it towards my card balance. I don't know why that happened because that card I would pay the full balance. I'm going to pay what I owe so it will not have a negative affect on my credit and I am going to ask for a letter stating why they was closed so I'll have when I purchase my home next year. I WILL NOT apply for another card with Capital One. I also had a checking and a savings account with them. Because of this I am now considering closing those myself and be done with this company altogether.

After a lengthy sign up for this card - I decided to switch to this card from Citibank because of the flight miles and because customer service was based in US - I got my card with a nice limit. I took it to a convention to buy for my business and was immediately declined. This was after I signed up for the app and did everything else Capital One told me to do to activate - I was told that go ahead and charge, they would ok the charge. I told customer service I would be making some large purchases, she said she couldn't guarantee they would go through for some reason - indeed I was declined again - I called and was told I had to give them front and back of my driver’s license. While at a trade show. Please upload it to a link.

Ok, so why do they need more information when they have all my personal information? I return home and do what they ask. I go to the trade show the next day, try to use my cc and was declined for the third time. I called (on the weekend) and was told "Oh we need to process the new information for at least 3 days, I don't know why you weren't told that" - I ask to speak to a supervisor - "Oh they aren't available on the weekend" - so now I know why the other card outsources their customer service! This company is not consumer friendly, and I am such a fool for falling for the marketing and the ridiculous spokesperson Jennifer Garner! I have now wasted my time, messed with my credit by getting another credit card and will be going back to Citibank!

I had 11+ years as a Capital One cardholder. Never a late payment. Never a derogatory issue. And I had just paid down to a 0 (zero) balance as I had just done on all my credit balances. My credit score ranges 802 - 808. Credit Karma noted my chances for a Venture card were "good". Big changes to my personal life had happened and I was going to travel the next 5 years. I called Capital One customer service and requested a change to the Venture Card. Almost the first response was "you don't qualify for that card". I questioned her & got nothing specific on WHY. The rep repeated herself a few more times. I closed my account with bad feelings. LOL. What else can an unhappy customer do?!

Found a CAP 1 CC on my credit report that is not mine. First guy talked 100 miles an hour in very broken English. Told him to please slow down. I could not understand him, and he hung up!! Contacted the Cap 1 e-chat and the guy said he could do nothing. He worked in investment and he could not connect me with someone in credit care who spoke English. So I waited again and they keep asking for account # which I do not have as I don't have an account. Finally found a lady who found it that had me as an authorized user on somebody else's account that I Positively don't want. She too talked 100 mile an hour and I had to slow her down to repeat and repeat. We'll see if they get it corrected or not. Very frightening that someone allowed to put you as an authorized user on their account without your permission and there is no verification from the CC company.

Great credit card, rewards, and customer service. I disputed a charge and they immediately took action and credited my card. I spoke to them over the phone and via email, and in both instances they were very respectful and listened to my concerns.

I went to Capital One Bank in order to remove an authorized user from my business checking account, the transaction was completed by the bank associate. After I signed the document and gave it to the associate I felt secure that my money couldn't be withdrawn, since I removed the user... WRONG!! Capital One allowed this unauthorized user to draw money out checking, and the only resolution Capital One gave me was "SORRY THE TELLER DIDN'T KNOW"!!!

I have a credit card VentureOne from Capital One. When I signed up the disclosure was stating no interest rate for a year, and no annual fee. I've made a mistake and didn't check my statements well enough - I didn't realize that the bank was charging me the interest rate from the beginning. I've spent more than an hour today on the phone with Capital One customer service and I've been told that I have to prove to them that I was issued the "introductory 0 interest rate for a year" by sending them documents - like the disclosure (or something like it). It's more than a year later - I can't find the disclosure itself. Bank messed up but I have to prove that to them.

I checked online and they still offer the same card - every new client gets the introductory 0 interest rate for a year - nothing changed there. I'm losing money because of this and I'm pretty sure there is more people like me out there. Banks shouldn't treat their clients this way. It is simply not ok. Does anyone have an advice or experience dealing with this type of situation?

Capital One closed my account without any notice. They didn't even provide the common courtesy of calling to see if there was a problem; which there was. When I called and found out that it was closed, the supervisor claimed security concern. The first bill had not even one due. Now I have to deal with a closed account on my credit that I'm trying to build. I would not recommend this card to anyone! Consumer beware. Extremely disappointed.

My husband and I were out of town and were in need of a motel room. My card was almost maxed out. I was short $1.81. Yes, One dollar and .81 cents to complete my transaction. And it was declined. I called Capital One and they made me transfer $5.00 from my bank to authorize the transaction. Mind you, I have had the card for over two years and have never missed a payment. All customer service could say was, I'm sorry. They don't know how sorry their company really is.

I had 2 Capital One credit cards, one with a 10K limit and the other with a $1,500 limit. I had almost $500 in cash back rewards I was ready to cash out and had mailed to me. However, Capital One closed both of my accounts and applied the cash back I had available to my pending balances with them. When I called Capital One to see what was going on with my credit card accounts they advised me they had closed both accounts as is their right according to their credit card "contracts" and advised me the reasoning for the account closures was because I was not using the credit cards on purchases they deem appropriate for their credit cards.

I purchase mainly electronics with their cards and apparently they have some issues with me doing this. I believe the real reason which those scumbags will never admit to was that I was earning too much cash back for their liking. Capital One is a horrible company and I would never open any type of account with them again. I have 2 American Express cards now with high limits and low APRs. I suggest never opening any type of account with these crooks. Their customer service is horrible and their excuses are laughable. GOOD RIDDANCE, and so long Capital garbage.

I've been a Capital One cardholder for 3 years. I have a business Spark, Platinum and Venture. The cashback is awesome, the benefits are unbeatable. World class customer service. Even though I do not keep high balances, these are my go to cards for credit necessities! Thank you Capital One for running a world class organization!

If you like to give free money to charity go to Capital One, otherwise DO NOT bank with this company!! They are sooo BAD!! NO Joke! I gave them a try, because they just started their business and thought that they may value their customers. This is not the case at all. Not all bank locations have tellers to process your transaction. Their bank location managers do not understand other lines of business to help you with other transactions, therefore they will give you MISGUIDED information, tell you there is nothing they can do, causing you to waste your time, energy. Their website publishes information that are outdated or misleading, therefore it will MISGUIDE YOU, and lead you to resolving it on your own by paying extra FEES!! Or tell you there is nothing they can do.

Recommend: Train your associates better, so that they actually understand the BASICs of other services (i.e., contact information of others to understand auto loans vs. there is nothing Capital One can do) or else don't provide this service. Publish information on your website that actually makes sense vs. hiding all the fees, then charging more later down the road. If other banks can do it, you can too!

Our nonprofit had three fraudulent charges for over $9,000. When we called to report the charges, made through PayPal, the customer service rep, Ms. **, was rude. She told us that we could "go ahead" and pay those charges and when PayPal discovers the problem they would "refund" the money. Are you kidding me? I would think that a customer service rep would be apologetic and assure us that we were in good hands.

We have been trying to pay our credit card account for the over 5 month. Someone stolen our credit card. We reported the information to Capital One on many occasions. We went to several branches in Montgomery County Maryland and DC. We were told that we will not be able to make a payment without the account number. I spoke with Austin ID number of **. Was on the phone with him for over 1 hour and 30 minutes, please check his call log on 6/19/2017 with his sarcastic self. Our account are accumulator late fees. They have not send a new card and we do not have any on statements. THEY ARE VERY INCOMPETENT PEOPLE. PLEASE GET A CREDIT CARD FROM ANOTHER COMPANY... (VERY DISAPPOINTED).

These people are not friends of consumers. It's an attack on people using clever tricks and marketing. I've been trying to get them to stop sending their weekly scam offers with 24.99% interest. Are they complete idiots or they just don't care about people anymore? This is a farce and a scam on a global nature. DO NOT do business with this people. They are crooks! Their double miles on Venture One is supposed to be their most prestigious for people with excellent credit. It's just a scam, you only get .01 per point so 55000 miles is $550. Any other plan, such as American Airlines 55000 miles gets you to Cathay Pacific roundtrip on Business Class. You can't even get most domestic flights for $550. These people are no friends of the community. Run as fast as you can if you get an offer from them. I cannot believe Jennifer Garner and others are supporting this crooked company!

Night chat service: The agent who attended me had no desire to work, had no interest in answering my questions, answered me in an unfriendly way and sent me to call a number of customer service to have my questions answered because that was not his job. In fact this agent of Capital One behaved in a very unprofessional way.

Take overdraft protection. There is absolutely no way their overdraft fee policy is legal. They are money hungry bloodsuckers. I got charged an overdraft fee for an overdraft fee. They claim it's because another fee cleared after the overdraft fee was planning on the account but before that I had put money in to cover all charges. I just did that too late to avoid the first fee. It's total crap.

I left the country after I talked to my credit card co, which is Capital One and put myself on an automatic draft so I wouldn't be late on my payments. I came back home a year later, checked my credit report and find out that there are some late payments. I called and asked why? They told that l have to call them every six months to renew my automatic draft, otherwise they will stop drafting the money. Now no one told me that I have to every six months to renew the draft and the company has been very unhelpful with fixing the situation.

Opened a Capital One credit card 5 months ago. Paid on time every month. Even paid a month in advance. Closing date was on 14th. They told me they report to credit bureaus 2-3 business days which will make it on the 17th. Paid the bill on the 14th with checking account payment registered on 15th. They told me they would be reporting 0 balance. Instead they had already reported a high balance and my scores dropped 25 points so they lied. I ask them to re-report like Discover does. They said they cannot so I closed the account. Don't believe capital one. They’re sinking and fraud mentality. Go to discover. They’re great.

I give Capital One Quicksilver five stars! My credit score and history was just bad! Capital One started me on with my Capital One Quicksilver with a $250.00 credit line. I paid my payments before the due date! And without requesting a credit line increase, Capital One raise my credit limit to $500.00. And when you go online to make payments you get to see your credit score for free!

Also I had a bad run with RedBox! I went online to check my statements and Redbox billed me $39.99 for a DVD! I called up Redbox and the woman told me that on her computer, I still had a DVD out! And the $39.99 for billing! I told the woman from Redbox that I did not have the dvd and that I returned it! And she told me, that on her computer I still had it checkout! I then called Capital One and the woman told me that I could place a block on my account and within 7 days, I can get a new card! And just like she said 7 days later, my new Capital One Quicksilver with a new account number was in my mailbox!

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.
  • Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.
  • Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.
  • Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.
  • Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.
  • Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.
  • Best for Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Compare Credit Cards