Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I've been a customer since ING Direct days. Capital One 360 recently (Sept 2017) updated their website, which is requiring me to relearn it. Some things you can no longer do, like modify and existing scheduled transfer (you now have to delete it and re-enter it). And the feedback link at the bottom of the page would not work in Firefox; I had to switch to Edge to leave feedback. Capital One 360 has been gradually losing my business, (moved my person to person payments to Huntington and my savings to Goldman Sachs). I'm looking for an alternative as Capital One doesn't seem to consider my use of their website when they make changes.

I live in the Orlando/Kissimmee area of Florida and was just a recent victim of the effects of hurricane Irma. I had contacted Capital One and explained my situation that I was a flood victim, we lost power for five days, I haven't been able to return to work so once my minimal cash supply runs out then I will have no way to feed my family or animals nor even attempt to fix the damage that we just sustained from the flooding of our home. I spoke to a representative on Wednesday 9/13/2017 and then a supervisor who said he was submitting an emergency increase request and he would personally call me within 24 hours.

When I waited an hour and 6 mins on the phone today on 9/15/17 the representative said there were no notes other than I should hear something within 2 weeks! The supervisor said no one called because the increase was not approved! I have no other means to float myself until I return to work and who knows when that may be. I was very disappointed when they were advertising assistance to Hurricane Victims on their website.

Capital One has inadequate security procedures. My mom is a long time credit card client of Capital One. Unfortunately, Capital One allowed some unknown fraudster to add her name to mom's account as an "additional authorized user" without contacting my mom first to confirm this was acceptable! My mom is 85 and has Alzheimer's. My sister and I have been taking care of her financial affairs for years. I have a POA which was "uploaded" to Capital One's website. From what we can tell, the fraudster obtained just enough information to pose as me or my mom and make a call into Cap One, getting herself added to the account as an additional authorized user.

However, there was NO attempt by Cap One to independently confirm this change to mom's account. Capital One did not contact us by mail, email or phone to confirm the fraudster's change to our account before placing it into effect!!! As such, it wasn't until after the fraudster made charges to the account, and we saw them on the bill, did we call Cap One and ask that the account be closed and a new card issued. But then Capital One would not activate the card, claiming they did not get the POA (despite the fact that at least one of their customer service reps told me she could see the document in their files). We were then verbally instructed to fax the POA along with a long list of my personal data and information (despite the fact that I'm not "on" the card or listed as an authorized user). That was very suspicious. So instead, I sent the POA to Capital One's corporate offices, attn: CEO and Legal Department.

Then we find out that Capital One reported me to local authorizes as the fraudster! So rather than go after the fraudster, they go after me as the person who has tried to help my mom get this matter straightened out - a matter that Capital One CAUSED! NOTE: None of this would have happened if Capital One had taken adequate steps to protect my mom's account from fraudsters adding themselves to her account as an "authorized additional user". These people are not just incompetent, but evil. We would like to discuss the possibility of a lawsuit against Capital One.

I called asking a simple question on how I was charged interest on a zero balance and I am sure there was an explanation. But after talking with a representative Colleen for 10 minutes and she could not explain it I asked to speak to someone else. She attempted to place me on a brief hold to obtain an answer and 45 minutes later I am still holding. She doesn't know I will wait her out. She is hoping I hang up but I will tie up the queue and she keeps taking me off hold and putting me back on because she doesn't know her job and can't explain my money. We aren't talking a huge amount. Good customer service would never do this. Great customer service would have explained it or removed it but clearly Capital One has neither. I am a Frustrated customer. You can stop blowing my mailbox up with offers to my children as I would never let them get in business with such an uninformed, trifling company! Very disappointed.

Balance is false. If I could, I would give it Zero stars. I usually lay the entire balance on my credit card. And I expect to see a Zero balance. Last month I decided to make all my purchases on my card. When it was time to pay, I paid in full, So I was expecting a zero balance. I didn't that it wasn't a zero, because it was scheduled to pay a one time auto payment. But I checked a few days later and noticed my new balance was much larger than it should have been. I started counting. The math was wrong, I called customer service, their answer was that some payments were still pending and only reflected on the statement after the payment date. I didn't have time to do the math of the entire statement for the month so I just took her word for it.

But when I did the math. I found that $79.47 of fraudulent charges. I entered all the purchases into a Numbers software, and the new balance is over by $79.47. My due balance if paid in full was $934.50 and I paid it in full. My current balance is $239.66. My purchases total to $1,094.69 thats including the new Balance Of $239.66. If I take $1,094.69 and subtract my payment of $934.50, I should be left with $160.19 remaining.

But that's not the case. I have $239.66 remaining. This is where $79.47 is in question. And no, it's not interest. And yes I waited for all pending payments to come through before I did that math. They have yet to tell me what the $79.47 is all about. I secret charge of $79.47 that's not on the statement. So don't trust their numbers, calculate your purchases to see if they actually add up to what Capital One says it adds up to. Because I've been scammed by Capital One credit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

In July of 2017 I purchased a drone using my credit card with Capital One. Shortly after buying the drone I had sent it for repairs. At the same time because the person that sold me the drone on eBay said the drone was covered under warranty. So when I sent the drone in to the manufacturer I notified the seller I wanted my money back. Called Capital One. Explained the issue with them. Capital One said, "Do not take the drone back. We have you covered." I sent the seller the invoice for the repair. Seller paid for repair and had the drone shipped back to him.

The seller said he did not receive the drone however the UPS shipping label shows it was delivered to his home and signed for. The seller disputed receiving the drone. Yes UPS shipping said it was signed for. However whenever a client from another credit card company disputes the charges Capital One will back down. So now I owe Capital One the 1650.00 and the seller has the drone. Can you believe that one!

I'd give them zero stars if I could. I'm only in my second month with the card as I got it for a BT. I paid my first bill early, but I had my account number wrong (my error). I never got a notification the payment did not go through until after the due date. I got a late fee. They actually waived the fee. Month two. I paid my minimum early. I got a late payment notice. I paid what both the app and website showed as my minimum payment. Customer service told me that even though they waived my late fee (on the same day it posted), my minimum payment was increased due to the late fee so despite paying it early, I did not pay the correct amount. When I told them I paid the minimum shown online, he told me I could not trust their website. THEIR OWN EMPLOYEE told me I couldn't trust their website or app. As soon as my 0% interest promotion runs out, I'm closing this card and running faaar away from their scam.

I paid my credit card on day they requested. The next day I tried to use my money. Capital One declined me saying my funds were not available. This happens a lot. This company treats their customers like dirt yet they charge high card fees. Sick of being treated so badly. Don't waste your time applying for this card, you will be sorry if you do.

I had opened a secure card with (I'm not sure) in 1995 for 500 bucks to build good credit, as time went on this card turned into a unsecured card (not sure when) it was sold to at least 5 different creditors. On December of 2016 I was denied a car loan for, too high of credit balances, so I ordered all three credit reports. Upon examining them I found that Capital One had a 8263 dollar high balance, but I had a 500 dollar credit limit. Chase bank was also on there with the same high credit balance of 8263 dollars and a 500 dollar credit limit, Cap one bought this card from chase bank in 2011, chase started reporting on it in 2004 with a high credit balance of 8263 dollars with a credit limit of 500 bucks (I to this day, never been late, or over the 500 dollar limit).

Now I disputed this with all three CRA and it came back as being reported correctly. I disputed again knowing that it is impossible to run up and history shows that either account never went over 500 bucks. So I call capital one to please fix this numerous times with no avail. So I disputed it again with all three and then escalated it with cap one and told them that after 90 days if it's not fixed I will not pay another dime until it is fixed! Well naturally after calling them twice a week to see if anything has been done NO nothing. Now they have charged me 250 bucks and cranked the interest rate way up and put a dispute remark on my credit reports WTF. It's a year later they falsely report 8263 dollar high balance, now it's 120 days negatively late, and it's over the limit to 599 dollars due. They told me they cannot validate the high balance. I had not ever signed any contract with them. I am very pissed. What can I do?

What is wrong with these people? The computers don't retain your information so that the customer service person will know who is calling. If you call and tell them that you will be moving and that they will be seeing charges that are unique, they "record" the phone call, but no one listens to it, so that you end up making so many calls to the call center that you are disgusted with the card and the service.

I have been a customer for nearly 30 years and have never not paid the account in full, but these people act as if this is all new news to them, after 5 calls. They pulled up the calls, heard the same story, saw the charges and said that this is for my benefit. What benefit? I told them what I was doing and the card is supposed to be able to help me - it is a convenience, isn't it? And I told them that I would be on the road so they should respect that situation since people doing 70 miles an hour shouldn't check phones. Did it help me? No. So after this long a time with them and a stellar credit rating, I am looking for another card where the computer software is up to date and the operatives aren't brain dead.

Memo to Capital ONE Coming up on 30 days now. Come to find out the VA AG Fraud Investigation points to you all having a thief in your system... we all now KNOW how many checks and balances are in place in the VA lottery system.

I am restraining myself in this review. I have a significant amount of money tied up in a Capital One account. After a recent software change (they were down for a complete weekend or more), I can no longer access my account. I have need for a balance statement and additional information. Two calls, each exceeding 1/2 hour and each requiring me to supply the same account information at least twice, leads me to believe that Capital One is staffed by incompetents. I put significant trust in Capital One's personal banking system. As soon as I can get my funds transferred, I am going to a new bank. They lost a customer of over 10 years (from the time it was ING)!

Capital One representative defined the term "due date" for me according to Capital policy. She stated that the due date is the date your payment is due to avoid late charges. She then stated that she would extend my "due date" for a month to help me make my payment on time. When I paid by the due date, I was charged late charges anyway. Capital One refused to waive the late charges even though the agent made these statements. They are dishonest money-grabbing scammers. Find another company to work with unless you like being ripped off!

I now have retained an attorney due to Capital One taking 7 months for a loan modification. Totally inept, constantly asking for the same documents, flagging my credit report after I was told repeatedly they would not during the process. They left me no choice but to get an attorney. Try any other bank first!

I have an excellent credit history, and numerous credit cards. Capital One is always an incredible headache in charging annual fees when not warranted, late fees when not warranted, refusing to remove negative credit reports, and absolutely horrendous customer service (thanks Mindy for keeping me on hold for 30 minutes and transferring me to the wrong dept.) and support. EVERY other credit card company that I deal with is more than accommodating. Capital One, despite all their commercials, seems to be disinterested in securing their client's business.

People carrying credit cards count on fraud prevention departments to be our friend. Capital One’s Venture Card is a disaster. If you are relying on your Capital One Venture Card as your primary card in international travel, be warned! Since this card was issued to me, I have been turned down in virtually every international trip I make, and proving my identity is generally very difficult indeed. Here are the top four reasons you can’t count on this card!

Capital One won’t let you notify them of your travel plans, like a normal company. As a result, when you are in Timbuktu (or anywhere outside of your normal pattern), they are immediately suspicious. A typical call to customer support: “This line is terrible! Where in the world ARE you?” “Dakar, Senegal.” “I’ve never heard of it? Where on earth is that?”

Capital One has only two means of verifying your identity. a) Your mobile phone number. When one travel’s internationally, you generally change your SIM card with each country. Yet Capital One’s first solution is always that they want to send you a text to your mobile number of record. That’s not an option, Capital One! b) Your e-mail address of record. But that requires you to have access to internet and your e-mail address of record when you are three miles from the Hanoi Hilton and Capital One just declined your purchase! Not likely to happen! What now? You're out of luck, partner! Text to mobile doesn’t work, and they don’t have another plan! Every other card I use internationally has more than one workable solution for identifying me if something goes wrong. Capital One has none!

Capital One’s expects you can access their toll free 800 number. The first question most credit card companies ask when I call them internationally is “What is your phone number so that we can call you back if we are cut off?” Not Capital One! They are barred from calling you back. So when you are in Conakry and you can only purchase a $1 phone charge cards, buy a score of ‘em and load ‘em all! You’ll need more than that when Capital One turns you down! Guess what, Capital One! You can’t make a toll-free call from a landline in Conakry! When your mobile card is running out and that Capital One employee sensibly offers to take your number and call you back, don’t hold your breath waiting for their call! Their system won’t let them call you! They have no choice but to leave you hanging in Hartbeesport!

They miss the simple stuff. After, count them, fifteen calls today in which I tried to prove that I indeed am me, somebody finally thought to ask me my pin number. When I gave them the correct number, immediately the tone changed. But we still had to reach my wife in another country so they could e-mail her a code to definitively prove I am me myself. Once your identity is resolved, people are always kind, polite and apologetic. Capital One, may I recommend that you fix a broken policies rather than offering apologies, if you want to stay in the competitive international credit card market? You can’t compete if you can’t solve problems better than you have for me!

First at all, WORST CREDIT CARD EVER! I don't even have one and thanks God, I DON'T want to have the same situation as my husband have right now. He is being trying to pay his credit card and you take the money out of his account and after that you return the payment. Of course you want to charge him LATE PAYMENT FEE!!! WHAT A CUSTOMER SERVICES!!! He's called several time and everything is worst. Incredible. People are trying to do good on their credit and this is what happens... Very very very disappointed!

The credit cards that Capital One has are crappy. I give the 2 thumbs down for customers service. I have recently had some medical issues. And When I called these guys to discuss the problem and to see if they could help me out. THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS PAY THE 500.00 TO GET YOUR ACCOUNT UP TO DATE AND WE CAN HELP, UNTIL THEN THEIR ANSWER IS ALWAYS NO. They say they want to help but it always ends up needing more and more money. I am thinking about maybe filing for bankruptcy. Not sure yet. If I become a million... (Hahaha) Here shortly I would so dump these people.

How can I pay 500 plus more money. They are just crazy. I work, but they just don't care about the customers, they just want to get you the card and if you fall on bad times then you are on your own. They say they want to help but they really don't. I RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE GET THIS CARD. IT IS MORE TROUBLE THAN IT'S WORTH. They lie and all they care about is getting more money from you. And the customer service is really rude and heartless.

They screwed me over BIG time. When I first got this issue I asked a colleague who does debt repair for advice. He asked what agency had the debt. I said Portfolio Recovery and he let out a big sigh. He said they are one of the worst to deal with. Capital One sent bill in 2016 to an address I moved from in 2011 which I updated with the post office. That is public record but I have to blot out the address per the guidelines on this site. Instead of contacting me by phone or using my real address they sent to debt collector. Also note I have a different active Capital One credit card (which I cannot cancel now since it will wreck my credit score further) so they have my info but they never sent the bill. Furthermore, even if I got the bill I would still not know if this charge was legit or not. Still today I have NO knowledge of what that $130 charge (which I only received via debt collector) is for.

Nor is Capital One or the debt collector able to provide ANY info on what that charge is for. I NEVER received any info on this charge from Capital One. It all came from their terrible debt collector - otherwise I would not even know the write off had occurred! I never used this CC once and opened it supposedly 9 yrs ago. Only charge ever was in 2016 which I have no knowledge of and is the one Capital One sent to debt collectors Portfolio Recovery. My wife's purse was stolen in 2015 which we reported to local police and Experian (which did a 90 day credit freeze) and to all our credit cards that we know of - it could be related but I am not sure. Either way Capital One and Portfolio Recovery were totally irresponsible and this should be stricken from my credit score.

Now I am spending months with Lexington Law and thousands of dollars in poor rates and to pay Lexington and Portfolio Recovery still refuses to budge on this and my credit score is down about 70 points because of that. I despise this company and hope the FTC takes action against them. Also if you have a choice (although I doubt you will) I hope a lawyer could help me since I would like to speed up this process of removal and would be happy to talk to someone competent at either Portfolio Recovery or Capital One and modify review if they could remove this charge, but to date I have not found a competent person at either. I would also be happy to talk to media or anyone about this on the record since the whole credit repair process is so ridiculous and unfair. And I am sure people here have way worse stories than I do and would like to help bring light on this in hopes that the process changes.

Capital One recently removed the ability to deposit images of checks from a home computer. Capital One now expects this to be accomplished by their mobile app. Let's examine how much time it actually takes to deposit a batch of ten checks via home computer for versus a mobile app. Via Home Computer: 1. I take pictures with a semi-pro Canon camera which produces high resolution images beyond what a phone can accomplish. 2. I lay all ten checks face up in a grid, with a little space between the checks, and take a picture on a dark surface. 3. I turn all 10 checks over and take a second picture. 4. I remove a digital SD card from the camera and insert it into card reader connected to my high end Mac computer. 5. I transfer the two check image files to the computer from the camera card. 6. I make ten copies of each image using the Command + D keys.

7. I then rename each 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, and so on to represent the ten checks in the two pictures. 8. I then open all the images in PhotoShop and crop out the unwanted checks in each image and then save the images. 9. I now have ten pictures showing ten different check fronts and ten pictures showing their corresponding check backs all from taking only two pictures. 10. I click a bookmark in a browser and access the Capital One site over a high speed fiber optic connection. 11. The browser preloads my username and password so in reality all I need to do to access my account is click twice and wait a 3 or less seconds.

12. I then deposit each check.

Mobile: 1. First I have to have a mobile phone and a mobile plan. 2. Then I have to wait for phone to warm up. 3. I need to get out a stylus pen to access a keypad to login into the phone and then wait. 4. I then have to use a stylus pen to log into the Android OS and then wait. 5. Then I have to take 20 different pictures for the ten checks because mobile phone cameras are generally not good enough to take high resolution images that can be cropped into smaller images of individual checks. Even if they can there is no easy way to duplicate and crop the images on a phone into 20 separate images using only two original pictures. 6. I have to go outside to actually create a WiFi connection on the phone. Let also hope I don't have to surf for a working WiFi network first. I also can't do this during night time, when it's raining, snowing, or the temperature has dropped.

7. I would then have to start the Capital One mobile app. I'd have to enter any usernames and password manually using a stylus pen. I'd also have to enter the check amounts with the same stylus pen. 8. I have to wait for each of the 20 images to upload during the deposit process. Conclusion: Depositing 10 checks via a home computer would take less time that it takes for the phone to warm up and log into it and Android.

If this represents Capital One's best work then I frankly conclude it's unsafe to keep any funds within any Capital One bank at all as this fails all tests of logic. I'd fire employees that came to me and tried to tell me that the mobile app method was faster. It's not even close. It's dumbest thing I have ever seen in regards to banking in my 50 year life. The big excuse I got from Capital One was that it's a security issue connected with users trying to upload the same check image more than once. Capital One really thinks its customers are stupid enough to believe that? One thing for sure is that Capital One can't be trusted.

After many fraud charges on my Capital One credit card, I decided to close the account. I was getting charges from a merchant I have never used and the charges were reversed by Capital One fraud department. After I closed my account I received a statement with the charges back on my statement. I called customer service and the fraud department, which they said they determined it is not fraud and I must pay. I did receive a credit from Capital One on a previous charge from the same merchant, which was determined fraud. How can one charge be determined fraud, but two charges from the same merchant be determined not fraud?

As a merchant we took a credit card from this customer as a deposit. The customer refused to return our rental equipment. We charged the account. The customer denied the charge. We filed our paperwork 2 weeks late and they will not reopen the claim and have denied the charge. My remedy is to either sue Capital One or take the customer to small claims court. Capital One Hides behind third party on claims, I had to argue to get anyone at Capital One to even talk to. If you are a merchant beware. Card holders comprise most of the complaints. Do the research.

I have a Capital One MC account with balance of $3200.00 and when I make full payment the next day they closed my account for no reason. The reason I paid off is I don't want to pay interest on the balance. I called to find out the reason. 08/28/2017 no one can give me good reason except tell me to apply to new card. I refused to do so. This the worst company to have a credit card.

The Capital One website is very easy to understand and Customer Service is very prompt. They is the best bank option I have found. Everything you need is offered to you.

On August 18 Discover made a payment to my Capital One account, transferring a balance. As of August 23, Capital One has still not posted this payment to my account. So I'm paying interest on the same amount to both companies. However, when I make a payment from my bank account to Capital One it posts the same day or next day. I believe this is intentional on Capital One's account and should be in violation of some sort of violation. Can you verify if this is in violation of any consumer lending policies? Thank you for your time.

I have a $7000 credit line and a balance of around $2500. It's been over 6 months since I had an increase so I applied online last week. I got a letter from them declining the request for one reason: "monthly payments are too low." Hmmm, I always pay 4-5 times the amount due. Sometimes, for example, if the monthly due is $98, I will pay $500-1000. So, sending me a letter stating that my payments are too low is downright incorrect. I call a rep. who is unable to assist me and transfers me to a supervisor who does not better and just says to keep making my payments for another 3 months and reapply again.

I tell her over and over again that I can understand if you deny my request based on true information, however, you are declining me with wrong information. She keeps reading canned responses about not being able to help me and to reapply in a few months. Awful customer NO service. I will pay this off and move to a more customer focused company.

They refuse to waive Member fees which are outrageous! They told me when I first got the card that I have opportunities to get this waived. They lied because they refuse to waive them for me - I been with them for two years and I never missed a payment - I refer friends to them. I will never refer anyone to them anymore!

March 2017 I was a new customer I paid my payment on the due date stated. Unknown to me there was a cutoff time of 8 p.m. EST. I am 3 hours behind which would be 5 p.m. I received an email stating I had missed my payment and I now have a $35 late payment fee. Also there was a program if you make your first 5 payments on time you get an increase on the 5th month. Now I am no longer eligible. On the Capital One site it shows Balance, Due Date, Amount Owed, Transactions Not a cut off time. I have filed many complaints with No answer back. I have called to follow up multiple times and I get the answer "I'm sorry there's nothing we can do to help." I have screen shots I would upload but am not able to on this site. I want Capital One to make changes to accommodate customers who are not on EST as well as properly inform new customers there is a cut off time. I am very disappointed in the service I have received so far.

My husband and I recently applied for a Capital One Quicksilver CC and was approved. When we received the card in the mail and tried activating it, it stated that there was a restriction on the card. We contacted Capital One and we were told that the primary card holder would need to answer a few questions before the card can be activated. He answered the questions and was told that he would be put on hold to verify who he was.

After waiting roughly 7 minutes, the rep came back online and told us that we would need to submit supporting documentation because WE needed to prove who WE were because there was fraudulent activity on the card. We explained that we literally just received the cards and asked how could there be any fraudulent activity. Our questions were ignored by the representative and when we tried asking our questions again, we were talked over and were told we needed to submit the documents if we wanted the card activated.

We couldn't understand how a company can allow people to apply for a CC, be approved, send the cards and then restrict the card because they needed to verify who we are because there was fraudulent activity on a card that we just activated. How much more information does Capital One need? The application asked all the questions they are requesting. We are not about to send copies of our DL & SSC's & Financial statements to Capital One.

I called Capital One today and wrote them a letter about my hardship. I have never paid late or missed a payment in the last several years but my balance is not going down. My $80.00 monthly payment is charged $43.00 for interest. When I called the rep told me that they are best reserved for BUSINESS minded folks and not interest in common customers. I told him I need assistance with lowering my 23.46% interest to be lowered. He said, "We do not have any offers to assist you this time." Interestingly, I told him I cannot get the assistance with lowering my interest, but they keep sending me offers for car loans and approval to walk into the Honda Dealer to purchase a brand new vehicle worth over $18,000. I felt low, degraded and betrayed to know this company would not help me at all. I am looking to transfer my balance out very soon.

Compare Credit Cards