3.9/5 (2051 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Top Capital One Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just...

Verified

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should cl...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: April 12, 2022

I would start by saying Capital one is the best card company out there for middle class struggling trying to repair their credit. I found them to be the best for me. No Annual fee. A little high on the interest side but approved is what we all want. A fresh start. A chance for the hardworking American. I have always been approved when others say sorry. Nope. Capital one says, "Hell Ya."

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I've had a Quicksilver card for a bit over a year now. I always keep my balance about 2% on report day. My score jumped about 70 points in one year always paying off my charges as soon as they post. I pay as I go because I do my shopping mostly online. Their app lets you link bank accounts so you can pay electronically. The cashback is very simple, there is no programming necessary. Cash rewards come up by itself. I use mine for a statement credit although they can be applied to Amazon purchase or gifts card. You can enter the Capital One lounges with the World Elite Quicksilver card at DIA and upcoming airports. Capital One won't let their customers get head over heels in credit card debt with the Quicksilver because it is necessary to pay between charges.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

They offered me the card without fees due to already having the basic, paying on time, etc. With a $700 limit. No biggie. OK. Then I realized today that I have a 0% APR and that when I do pay an APR it's a little lower than the other card. Kinda made my day. I normally keep a low balance, but this year has been rough and I'm so grateful I've had these cards to rely on. I've got a lot to pay back, but it's worthwhile considering the struggle it could have been. And because of C1, I've now got a few other cards with low APR, my credit is growing and I'll be able to get a good home loan soon instead of the high rate loans that were thrown at me before. Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Capital One, I think everyone has seen their commercials with the catchy slogan "What's in your wallet?" and to be honest I never thought twice, but I have to hand it to them, they have one of the best applications for cards I have ever used. Not only do they have a clean interface with perks easily displayed and purchases shown with logos of the establishments, but they have a fast response time for payments (instantaneous) and watching your limits shoot back up and the cash back rewards pop in just makes you feel so darn good. They gave me a chance when I was barely eligible, not only that, but they gave me a taste of 0% APR periods and cool perks that I never thought I deserved with my standings. In combination with other providers I have earned my Good Fico score Rating I have today and I intend to keep it that way.

Original review: May 31, 2021

The Capital One online and app systems are comprehensive and easy to navigate. Checking, savings, and credit card accounts are all right at your fingertips and easily viewed either comprehensively or individually for more detailed info. Big thumbs up!

Original review: May 8, 2022

I got an email just the other day talking about a $150 and $450 bonus if I made deposit into my performance 360 savings. I found the same offer on the C1 app I have installed for my 2 credit cards and performance 360 savings. I made the required deposit into my savings thinking I would be eligible to get the bonus as long as I held said deposit in my account until some time in August. Come to find out after depositing $21K in my savings this offer is for NEW accounts not for a deposit made into an existing account that has been active since 2019. Additionally, I can't move my 20 large out of my 360 savings for 60 days?? Making matters worse, I found all the bad news fine print on some other website.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Do not be deceived by this fake credit card company. They pretend to treat you as a "Valued Customer". Nothing could be further from the truth. When the chips fall down, when there is fraud on your account or you are scammed they immediately take the other side. They do not support their customers nor do they care if you report how you were treated and if they lose your business. Do yourself a favor and do not sign this credit card company.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Completely Incompetent Customer Service - I rarely ever leave a negative review but my experience updating my last name from my maiden name has been impossible. I updated my last name 2 years ago. Capital One updated my debit card and some of my accounts. I recently deposited a check and it did not clear because they never updated my last name on my checking account. When I brought it to their attention, rather than immediately fixing their mistake they told me to wait another 7 days as if 2 years was not long enough. Then after 7 days, they told me to wait another 3-10 business days. I have called them over 10 times to fix the issue and they still have not taken care of the issue. As a result I cannot deposit funds and pay my bills. Be warned.

Original review: April 25, 2022

Worst customer service ever. Had supervisor on their own recording address my issue in Oct 2021. Now they say I have to reapply and carry 2 CC with them in order to receive what they promised. Go with Citi Card. What's even worst is their current supervisor literally told me that she could not provide me with any information to reach a higher supervisor than herself. She stated she doesn't even have access to any corporate email, number or even a contact to her own boss. I was told to google it, which is what lead me here. I hope this helps some else from making the mistake of going with Capital One credit card.

Original review: April 24, 2022

I accidentally paid my taxes twice this year. Capital One requested info from my bank-which I paid it out of-and vendor. I faxed all the info TWICE, spoke with a supervisor, NO HELP. I will lol never recommend them and am canceling my card Monday. Just an FYI for anyone looking for a good credit card company, they are absolutely not.

Capital One Company Information