2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.11/5

The Capital One Venture card can help you earn points to use for travel. Read more Capital One Credit Cards reviews to learn about other Capital One credit cards.

BOTTOM LINE

Capital One Venture earns miles that can be redeemed for airfare and travel expenses. Venture miles are less flexible than cash back rewards, but the card’s extra perks and benefits are worth it for frequent travelers.

PROS

• Earn unlimited travel rewards
  • $0 introductory annual fee
  • High sign-up bonus

CONS

• No intro APR
  • Less flexible rewards

Top Capital One Venture Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?

Everything you use this card for garners points to use to erase travel purchases. There are no gimmicks or coupons or savings or discounts. You use your card, earn points…

This is the best credit card I have used. If they see something that doesn't look right I get a message or a phone call. Even though this card has a fee, I am able to get money back...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Venture card review

Capital One Venture Rewards credit cards are extremely popular because of the high rewards rate. The Capital One Venture card earns miles back on every purchase, not just travel-related expenses like its competitors. Plus, there’s an opportunity to earn 50,000 bonus miles within three months of opening an account. Cardholders get the most out of Capital One Venture when they redeem miles for travel expenses.

capital one venture rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Good or Excellent
Capital One Venture Rewards
  • One-time 50,000-mile bonus if you spend $3,000 in first 3 months
  • Earn 2x miles on every purchase + 10x miles on select hotels
Learn how to apply
Capital One Venture card rewards
Each Capital One Venture card purchase earns unlimited 2x reward miles, and you earn 10x miles for each dollar spent when you use your card at Capital One’s hotel partners. Cardholders can transfer their Capital One Venture rewards miles to more than a dozen travel partners. Plus, Capital One Venture cardholders have the opportunity to earn a 50,000-mile welcome bonus if they spend $3,000 within three months of opening their account. There’s no limit to how many miles Capital One Venture cardholders can earn, and miles never expire as long as the account is in good standing.
Capital One Venture card benefits
In addition to easy rewards, the Capital One Venture credit card comes with travel, access, protection and management benefits.
  • Global Entry or TSA Precheck: Get a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck application costs.
  • Travel insurance: Automatic travel accident insurance covers losses when you use the Capital One Venture card to book travel fare.
  • Exclusive events: Capital One Venture cardholders get VIP access to sporting, music and culinary events.
  • $0 fraud liability: You aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges if your Capital One Venture card is lost or stolen. Plus, you get alert notifications about suspicious activity on your account.
  • Mobile app: Access your account, view your balance and transactions, pay your bills and check CreditWise at any time through the Capital One mobile app.
  • 24/7 customer service: Capital One Venture customer service representatives are available around the clock.
Capital One Venture card fees
Capital One Venture waives annual fees the first year and charges $95 each year after. There are no foreign transaction fees for overseas purchases. Late payment fees are up to $39.

Capital One Venture card comparison

Below, compare Capital One Venture, American Express Cash Preferred Blue and Chase Sapphire Preferred credit cards on rewards, sign-up bonus, intro APR and annual fees.

Capital One VentureChase Sapphire PreferredAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred
Credit card rewards2 - 10x miles back on every purchase1 - 2x points on every purchase1% - 6% cashback on every purchase
Signup bonus*50,000 miles60,000 points$250 statement credit
Intro APR0% for 12 months
Annual fee
Customer satisfactionLearn moreLearn moreLearn more
* See terms and conditions
Credit card rewardsSignup bonus*Intro APRAnnual feeAnnual fee waived first yearHow to apply
Capital One Venture2 - 10x miles back on every purchase50,000 miles$95Learn more
Chase Sapphire Preferred1 - 2x points on every purchase60,000 points$95Learn more
American Express Blue Cash Preferred1% - 6% cashback on every purchase$250 statement credit0% for 12 months$95Learn more

Capital One Venture FAQ

How does Capital One Venture card work?
Capital One Venture credit cardholders earn travel rewards for each dollar they spend. Miles are then redeemed for travel and statement credits against travel purchases at 1 cent per mile. You can also transfer miles to more than a dozen airline partners. With Capital One Purchase Eraser, you can book travel with your Venture card then redeem miles for a portion of the cost.
What kind of card is Capital One Venture?
Capital One Venture is a travel rewards credit card. Cardholders earn miles when they make purchases with their Capital One Venture card and can redeem those miles for travel purchases.
How much are Capital One Venture miles worth?
Capital One Venture miles are worth 1 cent per mile when you redeem through the Capital One Rewards Center. You can redeem Capital One Venture miles for nontravel-related expenses, but rates vary and can change without notice. Get the most out of miles when you fly with Capital One Venture’s airline partners:
  • JetBlue
  • Hainan Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Singapore Airlines

Is the Capital One Venture card worth it?

Capital One Venture cards are great for people with good or excellent credit who want easy travel rewards. You get the most of out the Capital One Venture if you spend $10,000 or more with the card per year and frequently stay at hotels.

Capital One Venture Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

CapOne Venture has a fee, but has zero foreign exchange fees, as well as 2% cash back. For some, these two benefits outweigh the cost.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Once the coronavirus hit, it was hard keeping up with the $50/month payments. We are also one of the 2017 Northern California wildfire victims so, after losing literally Everything, it's been rough. Our score was at 800 only to be destroyed by Capital One and their fees! They didn't try to help. We have since canceled our cards and when we do get our settlement you can bet your bottom dollar we will never get another Capital One card.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

The Venture One card has pretty good rewards. The "miles" you earn may be used as statement credits for certain travel-related expenses, which allows for a wide breadth of expenses to apply points to (food and rideshare, for example). They also have an amazing, easy to use application and wonderful customer service.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Refuses to overturn fraudulent transactions. I purchased a map (digital) from a website that is supposed to make it available after purchase. It was not available, and as the company had no phone number, I found their support email after searching for it. I emailed them, which was bounced back. No way to contact vendor, no content. I disputed the transaction, which about 45 days later was overturned to the scam website's favor after the vendor contacted them. What a joke of a company, I never had issues with disputes when using Chase or Citi cards.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I've had the Capital One Venture Rewards card for about four years now. Recently, I went to make a purchase in the town I live in. For some reason, Capital One flagged the purchase as fraud. However, I called their fraud department right away from the department store. The customer service rep confirmed my identity by asking for the last four digits of my SS# and other personal information. She also sent a code to my cell phone to confirm, which I read back to her. She then said they were having some type of problem, and that although she had confirmed my identity and that the purchase wasn't fraud, she couldn't get her system to remove the fraud code, and so my account was frozen. She then told me that I would need to send in a photo of my ID for the fraud department to review, and then they would take the hold off my card within 7 to 10 days.

So basically, I have a card with an annual fee that I'm paying to use, that has blocked usage for 10 days. I literally use the card every day, always pay the bill on time, and have a credit score of 820. Their customer service was horrible, and there was 0 empathy. I will not be renewing this card because of the customer service, which has been poor on other occasions also.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I have a Venture card from Capital One which I have had for quite some time. I have an 830 credit score and have never in my life been late with a payment on any credit card. They decided to cut my limit in half because I haven't used the card enough according to them. I called to complain and they basically told me tough. I have worked very hard to obtain an 830 credit score and this is how I am rewarded? If I charged up the card and paid the ridiculously high interest rates that they charge which is 16.9% I would not have the exceptional score that I have. I have that score because I pay on time every-time and I keep the utilization rate extremely low. They obviously don't like to work with people like me and rather have people that get accessed late payments and become stuck under their thumb for life.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Very disappointed in customer service and customer support. I tried to dispute a charge for a flight during COVID due to not being able to contact the merchant in any form to cancel, reschedule or try and get a refund. Absolutely No Support. The customer service representative didn't fully understand that communication with the merchant was completely null and therefore, resolution couldn't be obtained. I will cancel my card immediately.

Original review: June 9, 2020

They have the worst customer service. I have been on hold for almost one hour. I am writing this while I wait on the phone. The recording comes on about every 5 minutes telling me a representative will be with me soon but I'm still waiting. Horrible service! If you are reading this get your credit card somewhere else. Trying to save you time. Mine is being wasted with these people. By the way I am calling about fraudulent charges on my card and it seems to happen every other month.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Too bad there is not a zero-stars rating. Capital One has really dropped the ball with Coronavirus. They seem completely incapable of management during a crisis. I had slowly been moving checking, savings, and credit card accounts to Capital One, mostly because of the marketing incentives (miles). But then, I had a horrendous experience with their travel department (causing me to lose over 50,000 miles and they did nothing). That proved to me that Capital One incentives really have no value when it comes time to honor or redeem. Now I read that they cannot even handle small business loans. Really atrocious company. Don't be lured in by the marketing schemes -- they are ultimately worthless.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I was travelling in Vietnam and wanted to access my Capital One Venture card to make sure I was not incurring any unauthorized charges. They wanted to text a verification to my US phone number which did not work in Vietnam. I contacted customer support via Skype and explained my situation. I asked them if they would text me on a Vietnamese phone number because I had purchased a SIM card for use in Vietnam. Answer: No. I asked them if they would email the verification code to me like American Express does. Answer: No. They then suspended my credit card so I could not use it at all. They advertise this card as the best for international travel. I fail to see how that is the case when they will not use available means to verify the account holder and then suspend the card when you call customer support for help.

Capital One Venture Company Information