Disclosures

3.3/5 (93 ratings)

About Capital One Venture

The Capital One Venture card can help you earn points to use for travel. Read more Capital One Credit Cards reviews to learn about other Capital One credit cards.

Pros

• Earn unlimited travel rewards
  • $0 introductory annual fee
  • High sign-up bonus

Cons

• No intro APR
  • Less flexible rewards

Bottom Line

Capital One Venture earns miles that can be redeemed for airfare and travel expenses. Venture miles are less flexible than cash back rewards, but the card’s extra perks and benefits are worth it for frequent travelers.

Top Capital One Venture Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything you use this card for garners points to use to erase travel purchases. There are no gimmicks or coupons or savings or discounts. You use your card, earn points, erase y...

Verified

This is the best credit card I have used. If they see something that doesn't look right I get a message or a phone call. Even though this card has a fee, I am able to get money ba...

Capital One Venture card review

Capital One Venture Rewards credit cards are extremely popular because of the high rewards rate. The Capital One Venture card earns miles back on every purchase, not just travel-related expenses like its competitors. Plus, there’s an opportunity to earn 50,000 bonus miles within three months of opening an account. Cardholders get the most out of Capital One Venture when they redeem miles for travel expenses.

capital one venture rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Good or Excellent
Capital One Venture Rewards
  • One-time 50,000-mile bonus if you spend $3,000 in first 3 months
  • Earn 2x miles on every purchase + 10x miles on select hotels
Learn how to apply
Capital One Venture card rewards
Each Capital One Venture card purchase earns unlimited 2x reward miles, and you earn 10x miles for each dollar spent when you use your card at Capital One’s hotel partners. Cardholders can transfer their Capital One Venture rewards miles to more than a dozen travel partners. Plus, Capital One Venture cardholders have the opportunity to earn a 50,000-mile welcome bonus if they spend $3,000 within three months of opening their account. There’s no limit to how many miles Capital One Venture cardholders can earn, and miles never expire as long as the account is in good standing.
Capital One Venture card benefits
In addition to easy rewards, the Capital One Venture credit card comes with travel, access, protection and management benefits.
  • Global Entry or TSA Precheck: Get a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck application costs.
  • Travel insurance: Automatic travel accident insurance covers losses when you use the Capital One Venture card to book travel fare.
  • Exclusive events: Capital One Venture cardholders get VIP access to sporting, music and culinary events.
  • $0 fraud liability: You aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges if your Capital One Venture card is lost or stolen. Plus, you get alert notifications about suspicious activity on your account.
  • Mobile app: Access your account, view your balance and transactions, pay your bills and check CreditWise at any time through the Capital One mobile app.
  • 24/7 customer service: Capital One Venture customer service representatives are available around the clock.
Capital One Venture card fees
Capital One Venture waives annual fees the first year and charges $95 each year after. There are no foreign transaction fees for overseas purchases. Late payment fees are up to $39.

Capital One Venture card comparison

Below, compare Capital One Venture, American Express Cash Preferred Blue and Chase Sapphire Preferred credit cards on rewards, sign-up bonus, intro APR and annual fees.

Capital One VentureChase Sapphire PreferredAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred
Credit card rewards2 - 10x miles back on every purchase1 - 2x points on every purchase1% - 6% cashback on every purchase
Signup bonus*50,000 miles60,000 points$250 statement credit
Intro APR0% for 12 months
Annual fee
Customer satisfactionLearn moreLearn moreLearn more
* See terms and conditions
Credit card rewardsSignup bonus*Intro APRAnnual feeAnnual fee waived first yearHow to apply
Capital One Venture2 - 10x miles back on every purchase50,000 miles$95Learn more
Chase Sapphire Preferred1 - 2x points on every purchase60,000 points$95Learn more
American Express Blue Cash Preferred1% - 6% cashback on every purchase$250 statement credit0% for 12 months$95Learn more

Capital One Venture FAQ

How does Capital One Venture card work?
Capital One Venture credit cardholders earn travel rewards for each dollar they spend. Miles are then redeemed for travel and statement credits against travel purchases at 1 cent per mile. You can also transfer miles to more than a dozen airline partners. With Capital One Purchase Eraser, you can book travel with your Venture card then redeem miles for a portion of the cost.
What kind of card is Capital One Venture?
Capital One Venture is a travel rewards credit card. Cardholders earn miles when they make purchases with their Capital One Venture card and can redeem those miles for travel purchases.
How much are Capital One Venture miles worth?
Capital One Venture miles are worth 1 cent per mile when you redeem through the Capital One Rewards Center. You can redeem Capital One Venture miles for nontravel-related expenses, but rates vary and can change without notice. Get the most out of miles when you fly with Capital One Venture’s airline partners:
  • JetBlue
  • Hainan Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Singapore Airlines

Is the Capital One Venture card worth it?

Capital One Venture cards are great for people with good or excellent credit who want easy travel rewards. You get the most of out the Capital One Venture if you spend $10,000 or more with the card per year and frequently stay at hotels.

Capital One Venture Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

It's okay if you don't mind ever getting a credit increase even if you've been faithfully paying your bill on time. It's ridiculous. Not a card I intend to keep. Not sure if it's helped or hurt my credit. All their added are a joke. Definitely don't apply to me.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I made a booking in August for a November cruise. Signed in to choose my seats and see that they had my 2nd flight on the wrong day.. Called back and they said they listened to the conversation from the august call BUT they will not let me listen to it. I even told the agent exact dates and flight numbers. Then they charged me another 48 dollars to fix their mistake. The other over 12k flights had us leaving the US the day after the one flight that was a one way IN Europe. WHAT A JOKE.. Who could have not figured that out? And then they say they listened to the call and that was not what I said BUT they would not let me listen!!! WTH!!! Thinking I saved up 1.3 million miles to make those reservations that they would want want to make a client angry over their mistake?? BUT NO. They don't care!!!! Watch it with Capital One Travel for sure!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Worst credit card company I have ever dealt with. I had two Capital One (C1) credit cards, and had been a customer since 2017. My credit is excellent (E-754, T-756), as was my payment history. Today (11/2/22) I closed both of my accounts because I am extremely dissatisfied with C1's abhorrent excuse for what they call customer service.

I customarily pay my full balance on credit cards to avoid interest charges. Every other credit card I own either gives customers until midnight on the due date or, if the cutoff is earlier, the interest charges are AUTOMATICALLY reversed. That is NOT the case with Capital One. Last month, on top of my automatic minimum payment, I paid the remaining $890.00 balance on the due date. However, C1 has an 8pm ET cutoff for payment, giving West Coast customer's a shorter window to make payments.

When the system advised that my payment was considered late, I called C1 to make sure the interest charges would be reversed. After an hour on the phone, I was transferred to a supervisor. He advised me that C1 realizes their current policy is unfair to customers on the West Coast and that, due to customer complaints, a policy change is planned for the near future. He also informed me that I had a pretty good chance of having the charges reversed because of my account standing and the fact that the minimum due was paid before the cut-off, and only my additional payment was submitted afterward. However, nothing could be done until and if the charges appeared on my next statement.

I called back today and another supervisor informed that, regardless of having been with them for 5+ years, and in spite of the policy change in the near future, they would not reverse the interest charges. When I asked to escalate my complaint, he said I would have to do that via snail-mail. Isn't THAT convenient for C1? This company is NOT customer-centered. They encourage customers to alleviate the company's call volume (overhead expenses) by making payments and profile changes online. They also reduce overhead costs by posting online statements for "customers' convenience."

However, they have a convenient policy to deter customer escalations by not having an online process or even an email address for filing customer complaints. I refuse to line the pockets of Capital One and its company-centered "customer service" when they penalize West Coast customers with a shorter time window for payments. Chase, Discover, and Amex don't treat their customers that way, which is why C1 no longer has my business and their competition does.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

I tried booking a round trip airline ticket through Capital One Travel, a booking site for C1 cardholders. I selected what was indicated as an available flight 7 weeks in advance. I entered all my info including credit card number and was charged immediately. I was then directed by the site over to confirmation of my flights but the system gave me an error message and to please try again. I went through the Capital One Travel once again trying to book my flight. Once again my credit card was charged for the flights then was given another error message and to please try again or call their customer service. I called customer service and a Capital One employee tried to book my flight to no avail but was charged now for the third time on flights Capital One Travel claimed were unavailable.

The low limit card is now maxed out and has been for a couple weeks. I've tried time and again to get these charges off my bill but to no avail. The customer service sees I got no tickets from their site. They keep track of the number of times I've called in and they all say the charges will come off in 7-10 business days but it's been twice that now with the 3 false charges still on my account. I always knew in the back of my mind I would be walking away from this round of credit like I've done a couple times before. Maybe they can sue me for my food stamps or try to take away my birthday lol.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

I called the support Center to get help with a booking. I called 18444226922 and spoke with David. David had no answers and no way to help. He transferred me to NEO the supervisor who also was powerless. Here's my issue. I wanted to change hotels without losing my points. The reason the hotel I booked was in the middle of nowhere and I didn't have transportation. The person I booked with back out and she was the driver. I asked to be transferred (for the lack of better words) to a different hotel for my safety. Neo the supervisor took a look at the notes provided by David and made a decision not to help. He told me to call and ask the hotel for Grace. I believe as a superior team member he should advocate with me or for me. Their customer service is by far the worse.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I just spent two hours on the phone being transferred from line to line, from Capital One credit card specialists to Capital One Travel specialists that only handle trips before 2022, to Capital One Travel specialists that handle accounts 2022 and onward. I hung up with Capital One and called Visa Signature who transferred me back to a Capital One credit card specialist, then back to a Capital One travel specialist. I finally got on the phone with a supervisor at Capital One who told me I would have to wait 44 days for a paper receipt for a business receipt which probably still wouldn't have the correct information on it. All of this to try to get an itemized business receipt for a flight that was canceled in reference to my personal Venture card which no one could provide to me, at all. I am NOT happy with Capital One.

Original review: July 18, 2022

A $ 1,000 money order was jammed inside an ATM. The investigation had been going on for 2 months. The bank kept denying the claim saying their records do not show any error. This is exhausting and quite frankly is a trust issue. What the bank is essentially saying is "we are not believing you". The customer resolution team is incompetent. They keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. I would have given up on them had it been a $ 10, 20, or 100 deposit. Unfortunately, it's a $1,000 deposit and all they can do is send me back to the post office to try to reissue the money order - this would take another 60 days. Seriously. After already wasting two months on this. I am considering taking my business elsewhere. Unacceptable and simply unpleasant.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Bought shoes online, never received the items, called Venture for refund. They claim that I never WROTE a letter to support my claim, although I called numerous times & sent them e-mail of phone snapshot for the shoes order. $395 annual fee with all balances pd. monthly. REALLY after spending almost 40k in 6 months. This is not worth it. Throw it. They will not re-imburse you of your annual fee even if you only use it for 6 months.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

We have had an absolutely terrible experience with Capital One Venture card services! We have recently moved to Egypt and before doing so contacted Capital One to notify them and order new cards. Eight days after arriving in the country, Capital One decided that our purchases (normal household purchases, along with the fact that we had ordered new cards) was 'suspicious' and froze not only our Venture cards, but also our personal Capital One account. This AFTER WE HAD NOTIFIED THEM THAT WE WERE MOVING TO EGYPT!

Ah yes, it gets better... We had to contact them on our own dime (MULTIPLE TIMES) from our new Egyptian phone numbers and they REFUSE to use our international numbers. They will only call U.S. numbers, so if you are abroad you are OUT OF LUCK! However, it gets even better... They decide they need more 'verification' of who were and that we weren't fraudulently using our own cards. You see what we had; our U.S. passports, our State of Wyoming Driver's Licenses, letters from the IRS with our address and names, mail from our Insurance company with our names and U.S. address, along with other mail and such, and verbal verification of the purchases was not enough.

They insisted that we track down our SSN cards also (which was unfortunately the one piece of paperwork we didn't have). So... after having family track down those cards and supplying all the above mentioned ID's and banks statements from Capital One (why can't they see this themselves??) They told us, "Okay we will get back to you in 7 TO 10 BUSINESS DAYS." Two weeks later, multiple calls on our own dime (remember, they will not call an international number), emails, and after providing all the necessary documents... We still have locked cards. To sum up my review, for a company that markets itself as a great "travel card" do not use them if you actually travel!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Make sure to read the fine print! I was pre-approved for the Venture One card so I applied online because I was excited about the 20,000 mile promotional reward if you spent $500 in the first 3 months. The rewards never came "Because of the way I applied for the card". Such a scam! I guess you have to call in person or apply a different way to get the promotional rewards. Of course they hide that fact pretty well on the application. It's ridiculous not to give the same rewards to every customer just because they applied for the card a different way. I have 3 different cards with Capital One. After this incident, I will be terminating all of them and going with Discover or Chase. Why would you want to screw over your customers like this??

Capital One Venture Company Information