Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5

The Capital One Venture card can help you earn points to use for travel. Read more Capital One Credit Cards reviews to learn about other Capital One credit cards.

BOTTOM LINE

Capital One Venture earns miles that can be redeemed for airfare and travel expenses. Venture miles are less flexible than cash back rewards, but the card’s extra perks and benefits are worth it for frequent travelers.

PROS

• Earn unlimited travel rewards
  • $0 introductory annual fee
  • High sign-up bonus

CONS

• No intro APR
  • Less flexible rewards

Top Capital One Venture Reviews

Everything you use this card for garners points to use to erase travel purchases. There are no gimmicks or coupons or savings or discounts. You use your card, earn points…

This is the best credit card I have used. If they see something that doesn't look right I get a message or a phone call. Even though this card has a fee, I am able to get money back...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Venture card review

Capital One Venture Rewards credit cards are extremely popular because of the high rewards rate. The Capital One Venture card earns miles back on every purchase, not just travel-related expenses like its competitors. Plus, there’s an opportunity to earn 50,000 bonus miles within three months of opening an account. Cardholders get the most out of Capital One Venture when they redeem miles for travel expenses.

capital one venture rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Good or Excellent
Capital One Venture Rewards
  • One-time 50,000-mile bonus if you spend $3,000 in first 3 months
  • Earn 2x miles on every purchase + 10x miles on select hotels
Learn how to apply
Capital One Venture card rewards
Each Capital One Venture card purchase earns unlimited 2x reward miles, and you earn 10x miles for each dollar spent when you use your card at Capital One’s hotel partners. Cardholders can transfer their Capital One Venture rewards miles to more than a dozen travel partners. Plus, Capital One Venture cardholders have the opportunity to earn a 50,000-mile welcome bonus if they spend $3,000 within three months of opening their account. There’s no limit to how many miles Capital One Venture cardholders can earn, and miles never expire as long as the account is in good standing.
Capital One Venture card benefits
In addition to easy rewards, the Capital One Venture credit card comes with travel, access, protection and management benefits.
  • Global Entry or TSA Precheck: Get a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck application costs.
  • Travel insurance: Automatic travel accident insurance covers losses when you use the Capital One Venture card to book travel fare.
  • Exclusive events: Capital One Venture cardholders get VIP access to sporting, music and culinary events.
  • $0 fraud liability: You aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges if your Capital One Venture card is lost or stolen. Plus, you get alert notifications about suspicious activity on your account.
  • Mobile app: Access your account, view your balance and transactions, pay your bills and check CreditWise at any time through the Capital One mobile app.
  • 24/7 customer service: Capital One Venture customer service representatives are available around the clock.
Capital One Venture card fees
Capital One Venture waives annual fees the first year and charges $95 each year after. There are no foreign transaction fees for overseas purchases. Late payment fees are up to $39.

Capital One Venture card comparison

Below, compare Capital One Venture, American Express Cash Preferred Blue and Chase Sapphire Preferred credit cards on rewards, sign-up bonus, intro APR and annual fees.

Capital One VentureChase Sapphire PreferredAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred
Credit card rewards2 - 10x miles back on every purchase1 - 2x points on every purchase1% - 6% cashback on every purchase
Signup bonus*50,000 miles60,000 points$250 statement credit
Intro APR0% for 12 months
Annual fee
Customer satisfactionLearn moreLearn moreLearn more
* See terms and conditions
 Credit card rewardsSignup bonus*Intro APRAnnual feeAnnual fee waived first yearHow to apply
Capital One Venture2 - 10x miles back on every purchase50,000 miles$95Learn more
Chase Sapphire Preferred1 - 2x points on every purchase60,000 points$95Learn more
American Express Blue Cash Preferred1% - 6% cashback on every purchase$250 statement credit0% for 12 months$95Learn more

Capital One Venture FAQ

How does Capital One Venture card work?
Capital One Venture credit cardholders earn travel rewards for each dollar they spend. Miles are then redeemed for travel and statement credits against travel purchases at 1 cent per mile. You can also transfer miles to more than a dozen airline partners. With Capital One Purchase Eraser, you can book travel with your Venture card then redeem miles for a portion of the cost.
What kind of card is Capital One Venture?
Capital One Venture is a travel rewards credit card. Cardholders earn miles when they make purchases with their Capital One Venture card and can redeem those miles for travel purchases.
How much are Capital One Venture miles worth?
Capital One Venture miles are worth 1 cent per mile when you redeem through the Capital One Rewards Center. You can redeem Capital One Venture miles for nontravel-related expenses, but rates vary and can change without notice. Get the most out of miles when you fly with Capital One Venture’s airline partners:
  • JetBlue
  • Hainan Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Singapore Airlines

Is the Capital One Venture card worth it?

Capital One Venture cards are great for people with good or excellent credit who want easy travel rewards. You get the most of out the Capital One Venture if you spend $10,000 or more with the card per year and frequently stay at hotels.

Capital One Venture Reviews

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Re: Capital One - Venture One Card: Fraudulent transactions occurred Friday evening 1/10/2020. None of which were flagged by Capital One, even though 3 of the 4 exceeded $6,000 each, the 4th was $3,240. I notified Capital One within 1 hour of them occurring. The good: Replacement card issued and received Monday late in the day 1/13. The bad: Capital One had approved 4 fraudulent transactions which, when added to my current balance, exceeded my credit limit by $10,000. No one at Capital One could explain how that could happen. It is my belief that the 1st of the 4 transactions which would have exceeded the limit should have been declined as should have all subsequent fraudulent attempts.

Bottom line, even having received a replacement card, there was no available credit to use because of Capital One's approval of those transactions in excess of the limit. 4 calls to them yielded 4 different estimates of when the card would be usable again, all different, but the last fraud rep said the investigation could take 90 days. As of 1/15/2020 the card has been restored to usable with available credit. Main complaint is the inconsistent explanations from both Customer Service and the Fraud Department. They should have been more knowledgeable. Rating is satisfactory in spite of poor customer service rep explanations, the outcome seems satisfactory in terms of timing.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I was at dinner on New Year's Eve. Went to pay for dinner and my card was declined. Embarrassing...So I called to see what the issue was. The first 'Fraud Department' person I spoke with asked if I went online to report my declined charge as fraud. What?? I asked to speak with a supervisor and she hung up on me.

Called back. Started over and had a similar experience. No explanation as to why my card was declined. No supervisor's available. Her advice, 'Call Back Tomorrow'. Really? Mind you, I owe zip on my card and have paid the amount due in February in advance (As is customary).

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I have Capital One Venture for past 5 years. I pay my bill on time. I keep my points and everything I have not even used. Once I have 47400 sky mile point I wanna redeem it. They tell me I only have $474 worth of sky miles. If I use that as in cash they drop it down at $230. This is ridiculous. This Company is a scam. I can't believe I wasted my time with this company. I call them to see if I can use the 47400 points to donated for earthquake in Albania and they told me they can't use that. I ask them if I can use those points in cash money towards their cards I can use the card for donating the money to earthquake the people a died in Albania and they told me I only have 47000 miles. If I can exchange that to cash it would be $230. That's **.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I signed up for the Venture card back in 2018. A few months later, I was hacked. That's when I learned their fraud department is an absolute sham. They kept calling me and calling me, so I initially thought the number I kept seeing on my phone was spam. Then I called them myself... And found those phone calls really were from Capital One. I fought with them for several months, but they ultimately rejected my bank statement. It wasn't until my fiance and his father all got on the phone with me one time that the lady on the phone listened.

Less than a month later, I got hacked and blocked from my accounts again - by the same hacker! And the bank sided with the hacker (and did so for more than a year!) I gave up for a while, got married, and moved into my husband's apartment. Then I tried again. No way. They wanted a utility bill under my name and my IDs updated to show my new name. The second request seemed reasonable. But our utility companies would not change their statements to be under my name.

I again gave up for a while, and only recently tried again since my husband and I now have a house and I am responsible for the electric bill. Now Capital One will only accept utility bills from the last apartment, and they want my maiden name on the documents! It even took asking to talk to a supervisor today, who was a total rip-off of Charles Miner from The Office. No reasoning with him either. At least he finally closed the wretched accounts. And now I totally refuse to do business with Capital One ever again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

We have been customers of the Capital One business venture 1 card for 10 years. We have never been late and we pay the entire balance off every month. Received a letter today saying they were canceling our credit card due to the kind of transactions are high cost transactions to them. It's a company credit card. We use it for travel, phone, cable, utilities. Excellent credit. Never been late. Paid off in full. Here is a copy of our letter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I am canceling this credit card. I spend more than 2K on Capital One Venture Card, however, I am told I do not qualify for the metal card. They call it an upgrade, but it's false. New customers get the metal card, but the existing and long term customers do not. They will be losing business with me. Good riddance.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

They rejected a dispute that I sent in recently around a merchant that had unfair, unethical billing practices. They sided with the merchant for overcharging me and refusing to cancel and redo the transaction. I will not be renewing my Capital One Venture card and want to share that my experience with Capital One customer service was bad. While it is not the customer service rep's fault that my dispute could not get approved, Capital One's policy is completely unreasonable in ignoring unethical practices of merchants overcharging customers.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Accepted the pre-approved application from Capital One Venture Visa group. Shortly after being approved and making one charge their Fraud department called and demanded 3 forms of ID and advised the account completely restricted until documents could be reviewed. No additional information was provided due to their department restricting the card. Email Link was sent for document upload and I made the decision to dig deeper into why a card was issued with a generous limit based on a worthy credit score and Equifax verification was now restricted.

Several calls and long discussions followed. What one finds out on the journey is in spite of having two other Capital One cards underwritten by them, a MasterCard and a Visa with a balance paid on time the Fraud Department will not cross reference any of your history. Demands continued for very personal Government issued documents continued. Social Security and State issued IDs followed by multiply proofs of residence formed the base of their demands.

While traveling through New York on a business trip I made time to appear at the Banking Branch of Capital midtown and provided original copies of two Govt IDs and 2 utility bills confirming my identity and residence. The customer service person called Fraud and they provided a secure Fax number to send the copies to. My card remained restricted for a additional week and I called to get an update on the document review. Surprisingly I learned nothing was considered in my case review after the visit and Fax. The conversation continued over several weeks and demands remained in place for the 3 documents.

Additional conversations advanced us into another Email Link and documents demand before any relief would be available. Documents arrived in their network but rejected due to quality of a water bill. Rescanned it then advanced it to them and another delay was encountered because the water department was closed and could not verify the account. I had to take point on the follow up folks they had the documents knew they would not accept them and made no effort to advise the account was still restricted until we called them and made demands for a update. Latest contact did get some attention and resulted in a call from the Document review team advising in a day we should know what the plan will be. Summery follows....

Marketing stuffs mail boxes with pre-approved letters, sign them up as fast as possible then another department turns on the Welcome to Hell sign, the two won't openly cross talk. They approve accounts using Equifax then ignore the personal information for this type restriction. They allowed charges on the card then froze the account. The document demand is not negotiable. Personal appearances with documents mean nothing, it is not a approved means of proving your identity with the Fraud department but a Email is. They will not cross reference any other active Capital One accounts in their system.

They will not use any of the credit agencies to verify identity after the account is open, but if you run a balance you can bet your interest rate will be adjusted if your credit score changes which means when it benefits them they use them. You can see them looking at you for that very reason if you have access to your credit report. They will tap your rating several times a year just to adjust things. They will accept payments to the account even though it's restricted. They won't provide any credits/refunds or rewards earned while the account is restricted. They won't allow you to close the account, careful if you are offered the option you will loose all rewards earned and points forfeited. On a new card that can add up to 10s of thousands of reward points.

You cannot receive a refund for the 95 dollar annual fee while restricted. They won't provide details of why the account is restricted. The Journey has lasted over 3 months maybe this week the C-One will find peace with itself. The inability to have common sense involved at this point truly makes many question how broken the process at Capital One. One of the largest banks in our financial system should not be this difficult to work with. C-One is not industry leading at the moment and clearly will have to step up if they want quality customers to remain loyal. Wells Fargo's culture and lack of common sense has cost them dearly. Will we wake up soon to find out C-One has followed the same path? Time will tell. What a waste of everyone's time. Get smart and get after the real issues out there, not your customers that have a history with you and have always done the right thing. A real mess.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Only complaint I have is being hacked repeatedly. I got the card around august 2017 and was hacked 3 time that year. Fast forward to June 27, 2019 and I got hacked again. What a joke. I contacted them and told them I am getting tired of this and their only suggestion is to use virtual numbers and never swipe my card again... WTF? LMAO.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I travel a lot, which is why I've always used Capital One as my credit card when traveling. Suddenly, it has become a terrible card for frequent travelers. Every time you log in from another country, it requires a code to be sent to... get this: A US PHONE NUMBER. Newsflash: I'm not in the US! The alternative is to use their app. Newsflash, again: The country I'm in (Singapore) doesn't allow their app. Great job, Capital One. After many years using them, I'll have to choose another card. They are no longer a good card for travelers. P.S. They could send the codes to email, but they choose not to.

Capital One Venture Company Information