2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.82/5

The Capital One Venture card can help you earn points to use for travel. Read more Capital One Credit Cards reviews to learn about other Capital One credit cards.

BOTTOM LINE

Capital One Venture earns miles that can be redeemed for airfare and travel expenses. Venture miles are less flexible than cash back rewards, but the card’s extra perks and benefits are worth it for frequent travelers.

PROS

• Earn unlimited travel rewards
  • $0 introductory annual fee
  • High sign-up bonus

CONS

• No intro APR
  • Less flexible rewards

Top Capital One Venture Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?

Everything you use this card for garners points to use to erase travel purchases. There are no gimmicks or coupons or savings or discounts. You use your card, earn points…

This is the best credit card I have used. If they see something that doesn't look right I get a message or a phone call. Even though this card has a fee, I am able to get money back...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Venture card review

Capital One Venture Rewards credit cards are extremely popular because of the high rewards rate. The Capital One Venture card earns miles back on every purchase, not just travel-related expenses like its competitors. Plus, there’s an opportunity to earn 50,000 bonus miles within three months of opening an account. Cardholders get the most out of Capital One Venture when they redeem miles for travel expenses.

capital one venture rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Good or Excellent
Capital One Venture Rewards
  • One-time 50,000-mile bonus if you spend $3,000 in first 3 months
  • Earn 2x miles on every purchase + 10x miles on select hotels
Learn how to apply
Capital One Venture card rewards
Each Capital One Venture card purchase earns unlimited 2x reward miles, and you earn 10x miles for each dollar spent when you use your card at Capital One’s hotel partners. Cardholders can transfer their Capital One Venture rewards miles to more than a dozen travel partners. Plus, Capital One Venture cardholders have the opportunity to earn a 50,000-mile welcome bonus if they spend $3,000 within three months of opening their account. There’s no limit to how many miles Capital One Venture cardholders can earn, and miles never expire as long as the account is in good standing.
Capital One Venture card benefits
In addition to easy rewards, the Capital One Venture credit card comes with travel, access, protection and management benefits.
  • Global Entry or TSA Precheck: Get a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck application costs.
  • Travel insurance: Automatic travel accident insurance covers losses when you use the Capital One Venture card to book travel fare.
  • Exclusive events: Capital One Venture cardholders get VIP access to sporting, music and culinary events.
  • $0 fraud liability: You aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges if your Capital One Venture card is lost or stolen. Plus, you get alert notifications about suspicious activity on your account.
  • Mobile app: Access your account, view your balance and transactions, pay your bills and check CreditWise at any time through the Capital One mobile app.
  • 24/7 customer service: Capital One Venture customer service representatives are available around the clock.
Capital One Venture card fees
Capital One Venture waives annual fees the first year and charges $95 each year after. There are no foreign transaction fees for overseas purchases. Late payment fees are up to $39.

Capital One Venture card comparison

Below, compare Capital One Venture, American Express Cash Preferred Blue and Chase Sapphire Preferred credit cards on rewards, sign-up bonus, intro APR and annual fees.

Capital One VentureChase Sapphire PreferredAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred
Credit card rewards2 - 10x miles back on every purchase1 - 2x points on every purchase1% - 6% cashback on every purchase
Signup bonus*50,000 miles60,000 points$250 statement credit
Intro APR0% for 12 months
Annual fee
Customer satisfactionLearn moreLearn moreLearn more
* See terms and conditions
 Credit card rewardsSignup bonus*Intro APRAnnual feeAnnual fee waived first yearHow to apply
Capital One Venture2 - 10x miles back on every purchase50,000 miles$95Learn more
Chase Sapphire Preferred1 - 2x points on every purchase60,000 points$95Learn more
American Express Blue Cash Preferred1% - 6% cashback on every purchase$250 statement credit0% for 12 months$95Learn more

Capital One Venture FAQ

How does Capital One Venture card work?
Capital One Venture credit cardholders earn travel rewards for each dollar they spend. Miles are then redeemed for travel and statement credits against travel purchases at 1 cent per mile. You can also transfer miles to more than a dozen airline partners. With Capital One Purchase Eraser, you can book travel with your Venture card then redeem miles for a portion of the cost.
What kind of card is Capital One Venture?
Capital One Venture is a travel rewards credit card. Cardholders earn miles when they make purchases with their Capital One Venture card and can redeem those miles for travel purchases.
How much are Capital One Venture miles worth?
Capital One Venture miles are worth 1 cent per mile when you redeem through the Capital One Rewards Center. You can redeem Capital One Venture miles for nontravel-related expenses, but rates vary and can change without notice. Get the most out of miles when you fly with Capital One Venture’s airline partners:
  • JetBlue
  • Hainan Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Singapore Airlines

Is the Capital One Venture card worth it?

Capital One Venture cards are great for people with good or excellent credit who want easy travel rewards. You get the most of out the Capital One Venture if you spend $10,000 or more with the card per year and frequently stay at hotels.

Capital One Venture Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?

Original review: June 10, 2020

Very disappointed in customer service and customer support. I tried to dispute a charge for a flight during COVID due to not being able to contact the merchant in any form to cancel, reschedule or try and get a refund. Absolutely No Support. The customer service representative didn't fully understand that communication with the merchant was completely null and therefore, resolution couldn't be obtained. I will cancel my card immediately.

Original review: June 9, 2020

They have the worst customer service. I have been on hold for almost one hour. I am writing this while I wait on the phone. The recording comes on about every 5 minutes telling me a representative will be with me soon but I'm still waiting. Horrible service! If you are reading this get your credit card somewhere else. Trying to save you time. Mine is being wasted with these people. By the way I am calling about fraudulent charges on my card and it seems to happen every other month.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Too bad there is not a zero-stars rating. Capital One has really dropped the ball with Coronavirus. They seem completely incapable of management during a crisis. I had slowly been moving checking, savings, and credit card accounts to Capital One, mostly because of the marketing incentives (miles). But then, I had a horrendous experience with their travel department (causing me to lose over 50,000 miles and they did nothing). That proved to me that Capital One incentives really have no value when it comes time to honor or redeem. Now I read that they cannot even handle small business loans. Really atrocious company. Don't be lured in by the marketing schemes -- they are ultimately worthless.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I was travelling in Vietnam and wanted to access my Capital One Venture card to make sure I was not incurring any unauthorized charges. They wanted to text a verification to my US phone number which did not work in Vietnam. I contacted customer support via Skype and explained my situation. I asked them if they would text me on a Vietnamese phone number because I had purchased a SIM card for use in Vietnam. Answer: No. I asked them if they would email the verification code to me like American Express does. Answer: No. They then suspended my credit card so I could not use it at all. They advertise this card as the best for international travel. I fail to see how that is the case when they will not use available means to verify the account holder and then suspend the card when you call customer support for help.

Original review: March 21, 2020

This is a very scary time for everyone with the pandemic of the coronavirus. We are told to stay at home and only go out for essentials. Majority of vendors are closed. Everyone in my household is out of work. I planned a trip to Japan six months ago and had everything booked. I was charged and it is already paid for. Even through this trying time, the hotel and airline are refusing to refund us our money. We tried to dispute with our credit card company and was denied. We even tried to get a credit for the future and was denied.

It is very disappointing that Hotels.com, Globehunters.us, and Capital one is giving us this type of service. You should be a little more understanding and lenient based on what is going on in this world. I would never book through them again let alone use my capital one credit card. I understand that this is not capital one's fault but they should have their consumers back like other credit card companies such as American Express. I regret not using that instead. Because of this experience, I will no longer be using my card and they lost all future business I give them.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Very poor customer care service, staff doesn’t have enough knowledge to answer questions s/p when you want to cancel your flight booking. We have Venture card & when I called to cancel a flight booking, they transferred me to 3 different persons & put me on hold for 3 hours and finally when they answered they said it’s not their department so you have to call back tomorrow as they are closed now.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Set up an adventure account with Capital One for balance transfers. They quoted me a figure for the balance transfer. I complied with the transfer and made my first payment. Then they charged me $390 in interest on a 0% interest transfer that I was told. I called and they refused to help, fix, or help find a solution to correct the increased interest problem. Very uncooperative and disrespectful to the consumer that is hardworking. Unwilling to find resolution and told me to call back and speak with another supervisor at another time. Unwilling to transfer me. "So what. You have to wait on line for another 30 minutes so well," supervisor declined to help with a resolution. His name was John #** in Virginia. I find this transaction fraudulent and misleading for consumers.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I have Capital One Venture credit card and have been charged fraud and reported it to capital one and started an investigation. They found out it was a fraudulent charge and send me another card. On my 2nd bill cycle kept getting charged from the same fraudulent account even on the new card they send me. I tried to resolve the problem with the customer service but no help. On the 3rd bill cycle, I decided not to use the card and guess what - the same fraudulent charge happen again. I decided to cancel the card because they can't resolve their problem and bad customer service.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Extremely disappointed with my FIRST customer service experience with Capital One. I applied for the Venture card literally last night because I saw a great deal on a flight & wanted to complete my booking (also the incentive!). Unfortunately for me, one- they cannot issue me the card number regardless of any security verification I can provide & Two- they cannot expedite my card. Great, right?! More than likely that price won’t be available by the time the card arrives. Had I known, I wouldn’t had ran my credit and applied; as that was the WHOLE purpose of getting the card.

In addition to that, I received an email stating my card would be mailed out within 7-10 business days & “In the meantime, let’s set up your online account if you haven’t already.” For some reason I wasn’t able to add my cell number & was referred to call customer service. As I was explaining this to the rep. she said, "You cannot sign up for the online account until I receive your card in 7-10 business days." I told her it says “IN THE MEANTIME, LETS SET UP YOUR ACCOUNT” not “set up your online account once you’ve received your card in 7-10 business days.”

The rep. repeatedly told me she understands it says that on the email, but she’s telling me now that it cannot be done until I receive the card. IT LITERALLY SAYS IT ON THE EMAIL/IN WRITING THAT I CAN SET IT UP. & again she said very rudely says “Well, I’m telling you now that you can’t.” Okay capital one, so then your email needs major adjustments because that’s FALSE advertisement. Capital One- PLEASE DO BETTER. Provide better service & other resources to your customers. If this is my first experience I can only imagine what’s yet in store.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Re: Capital One - Venture One Card: Fraudulent transactions occurred Friday evening 1/10/2020. None of which were flagged by Capital One, even though 3 of the 4 exceeded $6,000 each, the 4th was $3,240. I notified Capital One within 1 hour of them occurring. The good: Replacement card issued and received Monday late in the day 1/13. The bad: Capital One had approved 4 fraudulent transactions which, when added to my current balance, exceeded my credit limit by $10,000. No one at Capital One could explain how that could happen. It is my belief that the 1st of the 4 transactions which would have exceeded the limit should have been declined as should have all subsequent fraudulent attempts.

Bottom line, even having received a replacement card, there was no available credit to use because of Capital One's approval of those transactions in excess of the limit. 4 calls to them yielded 4 different estimates of when the card would be usable again, all different, but the last fraud rep said the investigation could take 90 days. As of 1/15/2020 the card has been restored to usable with available credit. Main complaint is the inconsistent explanations from both Customer Service and the Fraud Department. They should have been more knowledgeable. Rating is satisfactory in spite of poor customer service rep explanations, the outcome seems satisfactory in terms of timing.

Capital One Venture Company Information