AARP Chase Visa

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I paid off my AARP Chase Visa credit card the end of January 2016, by the due date. I checked my account each day for any charges. On February 2, 2016, there was an interest charge of $15.22. When I called to inquire about this charge, I was told this was the interest for the month of January. My question was if there was an interest charge, why did it not appear on the bill? I have paid electronically the bogus charge but I am done using Chase. I think they are trying to defraud senior citizens. I have other credit cards that I will use. The Chase AARP Visa will go through the shredder.

This is my first credit card, at age 56. I got it six months ago because I travel a lot and it was getting to be a pain to reserve hotel rooms and rental cars on my debit card. It was going to be just for travel, but I can't resist getting cash back so I have been using it for all purchases I would normally do with the debit card. I do not use cash advance or balance transfers. I always go online (from my home internet connection only) to pay it off in full before the due date, so I haven't seen any interest charges. At the end of the third month I got the bonus hundred dollars, and I have been getting about $20.00 a month back since then. I like this card a lot and recommend it to all my friends over age 55.

I had several fraud claims so they cancelled my AARP Chase card. I thought that when you saw fraud on your card you were supposed to call in and get a new card. Obviously that is not so. If you report too many fraud claims on your card, the fraud department cancels your card even though you are never late paying on your card. I do not enjoy having fraud charges on my card and certainly do not want to pay for charges that I did not make. Really RUDE...

On Sept. 2, 2015 I phoned and requested that a balance transfer be made from AARP Visa to my Aviator Barclay MasterCard, in the amount of $6,270.00. I watched for the credit to appear on my Barclay account. It never did arrive. And finally, I called AARP to see if they had done a transfer yet because they now showed that I had a balance of $6,270.00 owing to them. They said the balance had been made by wire transfer to an account ending in **. I DO NOT HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THAT NUMBER!!!!

I asked for more information about this account and was told they cannot give out this information. Since I am making the payments now on two accounts, I believe I am owed this information. This is so unfair at so many levels. I cannot believe what has happened. What can a customer do in a case like this? I have called a few times now, and have been told it will take up to 30 days to do an investigation. This is just not acceptable to me. I now have almost $13,000 in credit balances due.

Before I even activated my card, it was used for internet charges. They closed it out, made me fill out a report of fraud. Sent new card. Same thing, fraud charges. Close the account again, said they will remove the charges. Sent in more fraud paperwork. Finally get card. Use it and all charges were transferred to new card. Called, said it would be removed. Every time got bill charges still there. When refused to pay they said it effect my credit. They would call and demand payments or report to credit bureau. Went on for 5 months. Same old story when called, will remove by next statement. Charges still there. Finally got tired of lies and paid in full and closed account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

After fraudulent use of our credit card, AARP credited our account, but mistakenly partially double credited our account. This was not clear for a while, so I spoke to a rep, and they said all was clear and up to date. 3 months later, I see the charge for the extra credit, so I called again. Again, they said it was a mistake and not to pay the amount on the bill. It appeared again on the next bill!

Now, I cannot call on this company to act with integrity and back up the words of 4 different representatives over 5 months time. I have to pay for their mistake, which to me is financially large, facing a huge thing I cannot pay, and did not see coming. We also have always paid our bills in full on time every month. Now for the first time, I cannot pay a bill in full and have to face service charges for months. I will warn everyone to have nothing to do with AARP Chase, and can't wait to get out of this foul relationship.

While making a transfer from one credit card to AARP chase credit card to take advantage of a low interest promo, chase sent a check to the first card but with incorrect account! Now, I have the exact same account on both cards. They insisted I entered the incorrect account number therefore, caused the check to go to another account. These are from people who can't spell my last name when I recite it to them. Now, they want 30 days to investigate. By then, the promo will be over and the interest will be for 2 cards with same amount. All I get from them is "but you don't understand sir" **! I do get it! These Pakistanis and Indians who doesn't speak English do not understand me at all.

I know what my expenses are when I put them on credit cards. I also know when I have cancelled something long before it would go on a credit card. Chase however, does not recognize this (Chase AARP Credit Card Services). Stupidly, I looked at some programs that are supposed to improve your computer. They were supposed to be free for 30 days before they are put on your credit card. It was a big lie. When I received the statement from Chase, there it was, blaring me in the face. I immediately went into action to remove this mistake, since when I put the program on the computer; I removed it the same day. Later, in an article in Women’s World Magazine, I found out that these were scams. I have sent letter after letter to Chase with no results. Please help. I don't need this in my life.

I too have had a problem with my Chase AARP Visa card recently. I have used this card quite a bit over the years, mainly because of the 8.99% interest. I have not used the card in some time, because I was saving it for an extended vacation trip. I have paperless billing, and hadn't read the fine print in a while. Lo and behold, my rate is not 14.24%. I've never been late. And several times, I have paid a high balance off in full before the due dates. When I contacted the on-line customer service area, I was very unhappy. I explained that I wanted to use this card for my 2-month cross country trip, but I wanted the card back at the original 8.99% rate. They contacted me later that day and said that they were unable to offer me a lower rate at this time. Not only that, but we found that the blank "use anytime" checks that were supposed to be 0% interest came with all kinds of hidden finance charges on the monthly bills.

History: I did not get a bill and I was told I was liable. The due date is July 23, 2010. Chase cashed my check on July 12, 2010 for an amount $230 via my handwritten note. Everything is okay but I get calls and they are denying that they are calling me. My caller ID does not lie. Today, I got calls from 407 on August 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm, 2:53 pm, 7:30 pm and at 7:42 pm. I called 800- and I was told that there are no records that someone called me. I called 407- and was told that I dialed an 800 number and no one called me. My caller ID is clearly marked Chase 407. I want to add that I am a communications technician for AT&T. My job is traps and traces that I have been doing for over 8 years. This is a continual phone harassment to me for a bill that Chase put into the incorrect account. Again, I was to stress that my check was cashed on July 12, 2010 when my due date is July 23, 2010.

AARP Chase Visa users, hold onto your wallets! The new rules have all changed. After the crazy rate increases and justified complaints, reform legislation has foisted a whole new set of unregulated and permitted fees on the credit card user. Paid off your Chase card balance because of the high interest rates? Now there's a $ 1.00 minimum interest charge per month (Read that as $ 12.00 per year for the privilege of having AARP's logo on your Chase Visa card). This is roughly equivalent to interest on a $60 balance each and every month, plus added nuisance fees for any additional way they can charge a fee. AARP is doing a disservice to its members unless it negotiates the best Credit Card offer in the industry and maintains that position.

I am writing this email to inquire about Chase National bank to proudly continue to use AARP logo and they just recently raised interest rates by over 5% and charges hidden charges regardless whether you pay balance in full or not. I have other credit cards and they are 5 % cheaper on interest than Chase. In fact, all major credit cards are cheaper. So what is my benefit to use or belong to AARP any longer? Chase is only ripping the elderly people off and they are suppose to be helping them.

I have been a member of AARP for about 22 years but I am considering circulating a petition on AOL to let people know first hand what Chase National bank is doing. Feel free to check my payment records to them for about 5 or 6 years. I was never later and never over my limit but today I am paying them in full and they better not have hidden charges again because I won't pay when I get ripped off any. It has to be a rip off because it never happened before and or with any other credit card including Bank of America and Wachovia. So I will take my business elsewhere. Chase thinks they will put any kind of a charge and we senile seniors have to pay it. But I wo'nt anymore because I am done with crooks. Maybe they want to send their CEO another Golden Parachute but not from me. I am done with AARP Chase credit card services as this day, 3-25-2008.

I have had a credit card with aarp (they don't deserve upper case) for many years at a decent interest rate but all that changed this year. They

doubled my rate for no reason. Other than they could, I have never been late and always pay more than I have too. When I contacted the company, they talked to me as if I were a second class citizen. My family and I will stop doing business with aarp immediately--home, auto, life and credit card! Let's all join together and bring them down. Stand up, America!

I had a Chase AARP card. On the 9th of Feb, I paid the card off completely. Two weeks later, Chase billed me for interest during that two week period and charged me $10.93. I had closed off this card because of their interest and billing practices and this must be their last parting insult. Chase is a ripoff artist. I think Chase should be prosecuted for unlawful and unethical practices

Imagine the surprise my wife and I got when we received a letter from Chase stating that as of Jan 2010 the 8.99 fixed rate on our AARP credit card would be raised to 13.99 variable. We have excellent credit in all areas and are shocked at the naked greed of the financial institutions. We realize they are doing this ahead of the credit card laws which kick in next year, but after the taxpayer bailout, this is a double whammy to the consumer. Thankfully I am a veteran and can join a military affiliated credit union, but I feel sorry for the people who are stuck with being held up legally by the American financial institutions.

I have been a card member of Chase Bank for many years. My current card is an AARP Visa thru Chase. Today, I received a letter advising me that on Feb. 1, 1010 my interest rate will be increasing just over 39% over my present rate. I might add, my current rate is pretty competitive with the other banks and I have kept this card due to the points I receive and use them for "Dining Cards". When I called Chase, the young lady said if I didn't agree, I could cancel, but the rate is "non-negotiable". I told her I would be canceling once I clear my accumulated points. I also told her it is a shame we bailed them out and now they are taking advantage of us with a 39% increase in interest rate. I might add, I have a very high FICO and excellent credit, never late, with anyone, not even Chase.

I then called AARP and advised them of my situation with Chase and told her I think in the times we are currently going thru, a 39% increase is a bit exorbitant and I for one will not take it from any of their related business partners. She agreed and said she was filing a request with Chase for the AARP rep at the bank to call me within 72 hours. I doubt if anything will come of it, but let's hope no more bail out money for Chase Bank.

Yesterday, I received a new billing from Chase with a late charge of $39. I immediately called them and tried to talk to someone who could help me to reverse this charge. I have been a cardholder for years and never pay late. In fact, I pay early and pay extra too. This bill is for a special offer from them for 2.99% until paid off. I owe now approximately $2900. I pay electronically, however, the billing for last month was very late in getting here. I always send the payments within 2-3 days after I receive them. The bank sent the payment the same day it was due, Tuesday the 14th; however, it was not posted to my Chase account until the 18th, which was 4 days later.

This is insane that I am unable to speak with a supervisor when I requested that. The two representatives I spoke to told me that there is no possibility of removing a late fee. When I asked for the supervisor, they told me that he/she would not talk to me about removing a late fee. There is just no one I can speak to who will even listen. I explained how the billing was late, how long I was a member and how I pay early and electronically, so there is nothing more I can do and I am just completely frustrated.

We have never been late on a payment and paid more than the minimum. In April 2009, a Chase rep called to promote their rewards service and said they would like to be our primary credit card. We asked if there was a cost, no, then we agreed. We didn't get a bill in May. My husband called and was told that we had requested an electronic bill. No, we never did that and no one ever advised us that we were being changed to an electronic bill. Chase said, "We e-mailed you the bill." I looked for it and found it in the more than 350 junk e-mails. We gave the Chase rep our bank account number to have them take the payment directly from our checking account. She said she didn't need two number we gave her. We waited for the amount to clear our bank but it wasn't showing up. We called Chase and explained the whole thing, gave them the bank account number again. They said it would take a few days to clear the bank and check of it to clear the following Monday.

We checked, nothing. We had to call Chase again and give them the number again and it finally cleared. But because they input the wrong number the first time, it was rejected. Then by the time they finally got it input to our bank, they charged us a late fee and increased our interest rate from 9.99% to 24.9%. We paid the entire balance off and will not use the card again. We also wrote to AARP about their association with a company like Chase who uses deceptive and fraudulent practices. We wrote to Chase Visa to request reimbursement for the late fee. We haven't heard anything from either. However, we copied our senators and congressman and President Obama. We urge you all to do the same and contact the members of the US Senate and House Financial Services Committees and urge them to support the bill creating a new Consumer Financial Protection Agency. This committee would regulate credit card companies and prevent them from using deceptive and fraudulent practices. Power to the people!

I do not have an AARP card. I have a credit card for personal use. I have no balance on my account. I received two pieces of mail today: one telling me my card would be closed and another with four blank checks encouraging me to make a charge on my account.

The letter listed three possible causes for this closure: 1) total available credit on satisfactory bank cards is too low. 2) Bankcard balance grew too fast compared to credit limit and time on file. 3) average length of time since account's opening is too short. None of these three applied to me. I have had the card at least three years. I think it is unfortunate that a company outsources its business, robbing Americans of jobs.

I called the number on the letter and spoke to someone who call himself Bob in India. I asked whom I could speak with, and I was told there really is no one in particular to talk to. I agree there really is no one to talk to. I am glad to be rid of this company! There was no economic damage except I cannot have the $4000 credit previously available to me, because I have no balance.

I had an no interest bearing credit card for one year. The interest would start incurring with my April 2009 statement. However, I was charged interest in January 2009. So in February 2009, I paid the account in full within 2 days of receiving my statement. Chase charged me an additional $20.75 after I paid in full. When I questioned Chase, they told me even if you pay your bill in full, you are still charged finance charges.

I believe this to be unfair. Using Chase Logic, I would never pay off a bill because even when you pay in full chase charges for the days between the billing statement reaching you and you paying the bill charges accrue. I have another account with Chase that I pay off every month and no finance charges accrue, so why am I paying additional monies to Chase for the AARP account. I have paid Chase approx $77.00 that shouldn't have been charged to my account. I am afraid if something isn't done, Chase will continue this blatant practice of taking consumers' money. Thanks

I have been bombarded with Chase offers for years. As I hadn't used my AARP Chase card in a very long time I did not want them to cancel my account. So when an offer came along for 0.99% till 7/09 I used a convenience check for $4,000 to pay off a higher interest card. The offer very clearly stated that the fee is 3% or a maximum of $75. I was billed $120. They refuse to correct it. On to of that my first invoice indicates that my current APR is now 36.32%. I have a perfect credit score and intend to keep it. This seems like a set, oh...they send my statement AFTER the due date. I'm definitely taking the next BT offer and getting out of this with my credit intact. But I can't believe 36.32% is even legal.

My husband and I have a Visa card through AARP Chase. I charged .16 cents to this card to upgrade my IPHONE and they contacted me about possible fraud. I told them this was in fact my charge, they harrassed me with approximately 11 phone calls daily to speak to my husband who work many hours and is not available, even though we are both on the card. I had to change my phone number they harrassed me so much, now they refuse to send me a bill so i can pay timely and pay the card off.

Possible late fees, possible tag on our credit for fraud

I contacted Chase advised them I would be late. Gave info to them. they refused to work with me afer I had contacted their office 4-6 times. They kept added Interest rates and now I owe more than I ever obtained from them. I was told to pay up. I contacted AARP and told them they did not care about Senior Citizens either- They were as cold as Chase. I was diagnosed a diabetic last year and had a blood clot to hit my right eye year before..due from stress over this debt. My husaband was diagnosed with Cancer and had to have Chemotherapy. They were cold as ice when talking with them.

I had a blood clot that hit my eye and lost sight in it. Doctor at Duke told me had it not hit there I would have died immediately. All this from stress over this dedt with them and no way to pay it off. We live on Social Security and both os us are retired. Our companies closed. At our age, no one will hire us here in Greensboro, NC. I have thought about a class action law suit against Chase and all credit card companies that are this way. The interest jumps so hight that they are not willing to negotiate with anyone.

I have been a holder of my AARP Chase Visa credit card for almost 15 years. Not once have I been late with payment, and the majority of the time, I pay over the mininum due, just to keep my bills manageable. Recently, I was one day late on making my payment due to being ill. However, the payment (over payment) was made via the free bill paymemt over the phone, the next morning.

The following month when I received my bill in the mail, my INTEREST RATE WENT FROM 9.00%, to an INTEREST RATE OF 24.24%. I was so shocked, and called the customer service number. First, I get an individual who could hardly speak english, neverthless, me understanding her. After explaining why I was calling, the customer service representative RUDELY, told me because I was late by (1)One day, (2)My first time being late...AARP/Chase made a decision I was a risk,and had the right to change my interest rate. As another AARP Chase Visa customer indicated, I requested the card be cancelled, and I have mailed the cancellation letter out. But,the funny part is;the new bill for March has not even been recieved by me, but I AM ALREADY RECEIVING CALLS FOR PAYMENT. I would like to know what can I do about this whole situation?

Tuesday I received a notice from Chase that my interest rate is increasing, for no apparent reason. On the same day I also received a notice they were raising my credit limit by 3000 dollars (guess they want me to run it up with the higher rate). I got the card through AARP because of the good rate. I figured with their name on it I wouldn't have to worry about rate hikes. Wednesday I was informed my other Chase card would also have a rate increase.I'm going to cancel the cards to avoid the rate increase (that's the only option you have to avoid the charges). Of course this will affect my credit score, because it is partly based on available credit.

I received a notice from Chase, with whom I have an AARP 9.99% credit card, that they are raising my interest rate to Prime + 9.99% or 13.99%, starting in March. Their excuse was in response to market conditions. The principal factor for amending my account was maintaining profitability on my account. I always pay at least four times my minimum payment every month. My credit report is perfect, not a blemish. I cannot believe they just do this because they want to. I guess that is one that I will just pay off. The choice they give you is to opt out, in which case they simply close your account. That is probably my best bet, then I can just pay it off at the current rate of 9.99%. I think. There is another clause that says Regardless of whether or not you accept the APR changes, we may send you other notices in the future to change your account terms. I don't know what that means. I wonder if I close the account and pay it off in 6-8 months if they can raise the rate if I am not using the card?I loved this card and its 9.99% rate. I have another one with them with a 9.99% rate also, a rewards card. I believe I am going to cash in my rewards while I still have the chance. My husband is retired and I work. Thankfully I have a good job so I will be able to pay this card off. I owe about $2,800, so it will take a year or so, maybe less. Hopefully my good job will last that long.

AARP Chase Visa sent me a letter in Nov 08, telling me that my credit limit had been lowered due to excess spending on the card. OK! I decided that since AARP lowered my credit card limit, I decided to cancel/terminate my credit card account with them. I sent them a very clear and explicit letter by certified mail stating that the account is officially terminated upon receipt of the letter I sent them and that I understand that I still have to pay off the balance that is due. I will be more than happy to make a payment of $75-$100 each month until the account is paid off in full. I further stated that if I can pay more, then I will. I also enclosed a payment of $100.00 toward the balance of the account.

Even though I terminated the account I clearly know that BY LAw I have to make a payment on the balance of the account until the account is paid off in full. It is now Sunday, 30 Nov 08, I have received at least 3 phone calls from AARP Chase, harassing me about making a payment. After the first call, I called the Customer Service number and spoke with a really nice representative. He stated that he had received my payment and my letter and that he would make a note for the Credit Card Services to stop calling me. after speaking to him, that is when I received two more calls that were recordings.

The payment for December 08 is not due until 17 Dec 08 so I have plenty of time to come up with the money to make a payment to them. BOTTOM LINE: I want the harazzing, nagging phone calls to stop - period! It is uncalled for. I ALREADY KNOW THAT I HAVE TO MAKE PAYMENTS. When I get paid, I will send in a payment. But until then, the calls of harassment need to STOP! Thank you.

Results will be a screwed up credit line, which I do not want. If an attorney can contact me with a better way to resolve this matter, it will be greatly appreciated.

I have no address because I have not recieved any bills. I took the 800 number off the back of the card and finally got a live person on the phone. I was not sure why the payments was the amount that it was and why I was being charged with a late charges and finance charges. The card was to be without charges for the first 6 months and that is why I opted to get the cards to cut the finance charges on the other card. Now, I am charges wsith late fees and finance charges from now on and there was no resolving this. It was cut and dry since I had not made my payment on time. Even though, I did not know the payment was due and no bill had arrived. I am calling to check within the month and this is what I find out. The first payment is due and late so they say and I am the one to contact them to try to pay the bill. I am very unhappy with the results of this card service.

No I have interest charges that I was trying to eliminate so that I could get the balance paid off. This has put me in a bind to make payments as I had planned to remove the credit card debts.

repeated phone calls. 8 this week. I have listened to the end and have no recourse. I did find a person and she said she would see about discontinuing the repeated phone calls the calls are too repetitive in information. I need a way to respond I might change because of this. Secure Horizons was an ideal company before

Apparently AARP Chase plays gotcha! with their customers, a convenient way pad their income. It seems that payment date is a fluid term that they change to vary between 3-5 days. I routinely pay twice a month and triple to quadruple the minimum payment, yet Chase still thinks I owe them a late payment fee. With business practices such as these, I wouldn't be sorry to see them be the next Wall Street business to go belly up.

$35 is the late payment fee, and the amount isn't so much the issue as Chase's temerity in their actions.

AARP Chase Visa Company Profile