AARP Chase Visa
  • 1 star
Based on 10 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AARP Chase Visa

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 3, 2017

38 AARP Chase Visa Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

It was interesting to note that once I paid for my new membership to AARP I saw a prequalification pop up that indicated that I could fill out the application and it would not hurt my credit score. So I thought o.k. I would see just to see if could at least qualify. I have been rebuilding my credit. Of course I was denied but the information they provided was incorrect. My credit score was wrong. But what bothered me was that they checked my credit report and most likely it will affect my score. That made me mad.

So now I am going to have to call the toll free number and ask if my score will drop because of prequalifying application. The card I was applying indicated that the score to be considered was within the range that I was in. Now I don't think I want this card and I wish I had never gone into the prequalifying site. What a dumbie I was to do that. What in the hell was I thinking. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I thought I was paying off my entire AARP Visa balance on January 20, 2017. On January 23 I logged into my account and saw a balance due of $308. I complained to Chase and they explained they couldn't know the balance plus interest to any particular date of payment. I suggested to the supervisor, Jos, they get better software. He suggested I make a phone call next time and get the payoff amount. I think AARP could associate with a card company that was not this difficult to deal with. But then they get a cut of what Chase makes off of me. I understand.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I closed my AARP account shortly after opening it last year. A catalog company recently sent a refund to the closed account in error. Instead of the credit card company returning it to the company, they just held it... I finally called Chase. After some time they agreed that they had it and would mail me a check. Today I received a statement from Chase with an entirely different account number on it. When I called, I was treated as though I am stupid. The representative told me that they had opened a temporary account and then closed it for me to process the refund! And that my old account was closed last year for "security"! I closed that account myself by phone mostly due to terrible customer service.

Again today, the representative was patronizing, rude, condescending and treated me very poorly. I guess this is because anyone with an AARP account is assumed to be elderly (he spoke very clearly and loudly assuming that I was deaf or stupid, I suppose)... Very bad attitude on his part. This happened each time that I dealt with this company. I also dropped my AARP membership last year as a result of this bad experience. Beware of being treated like a decrepit inept stupid senior citizen if you choose to get his card...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

I paid off my AARP Chase Visa credit card the end of January 2016, by the due date. I checked my account each day for any charges. On February 2, 2016, there was an interest charge of $15.22. When I called to inquire about this charge, I was told this was the interest for the month of January. My question was if there was an interest charge, why did it not appear on the bill? I have paid electronically the bogus charge but I am done using Chase. I think they are trying to defraud senior citizens. I have other credit cards that I will use. The Chase AARP Visa will go through the shredder.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2016

This is my first credit card, at age 56. I got it six months ago because I travel a lot and it was getting to be a pain to reserve hotel rooms and rental cars on my debit card. It was going to be just for travel, but I can't resist getting cash back so I have been using it for all purchases I would normally do with the debit card. I do not use cash advance or balance transfers. I always go online (from my home internet connection only) to pay it off in full before the due date, so I haven't seen any interest charges. At the end of the third month I got the bonus hundred dollars, and I have been getting about $20.00 a month back since then. I like this card a lot and recommend it to all my friends over age 55.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

I had several fraud claims so they cancelled my AARP Chase card. I thought that when you saw fraud on your card you were supposed to call in and get a new card. Obviously that is not so. If you report too many fraud claims on your card, the fraud department cancels your card even though you are never late paying on your card. I do not enjoy having fraud charges on my card and certainly do not want to pay for charges that I did not make. Really RUDE...

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

On Sept. 2, 2015 I phoned and requested that a balance transfer be made from AARP Visa to my Aviator Barclay MasterCard, in the amount of $6,270.00. I watched for the credit to appear on my Barclay account. It never did arrive. And finally, I called AARP to see if they had done a transfer yet because they now showed that I had a balance of $6,270.00 owing to them. They said the balance had been made by wire transfer to an account ending in **. I DO NOT HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THAT NUMBER!!!!

I asked for more information about this account and was told they cannot give out this information. Since I am making the payments now on two accounts, I believe I am owed this information. This is so unfair at so many levels. I cannot believe what has happened. What can a customer do in a case like this? I have called a few times now, and have been told it will take up to 30 days to do an investigation. This is just not acceptable to me. I now have almost $13,000 in credit balances due.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2013

Before I even activated my card, it was used for internet charges. They closed it out, made me fill out a report of fraud. Sent new card. Same thing, fraud charges. Close the account again, said they will remove the charges. Sent in more fraud paperwork. Finally get card. Use it and all charges were transferred to new card. Called, said it would be removed. Every time got bill charges still there. When refused to pay they said it effect my credit. They would call and demand payments or report to credit bureau. Went on for 5 months. Same old story when called, will remove by next statement. Charges still there. Finally got tired of lies and paid in full and closed account.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2011

After fraudulent use of our credit card, AARP credited our account, but mistakenly partially double credited our account. This was not clear for a while, so I spoke to a rep, and they said all was clear and up to date. 3 months later, I see the charge for the extra credit, so I called again. Again, they said it was a mistake and not to pay the amount on the bill. It appeared again on the next bill!

Now, I cannot call on this company to act with integrity and back up the words of 4 different representatives over 5 months time. I have to pay for their mistake, which to me is financially large, facing a huge thing I cannot pay, and did not see coming. We also have always paid our bills in full on time every month. Now for the first time, I cannot pay a bill in full and have to face service charges for months. I will warn everyone to have nothing to do with AARP Chase, and can't wait to get out of this foul relationship.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2011

While making a transfer from one credit card to AARP chase credit card to take advantage of a low interest promo, chase sent a check to the first card but with incorrect account! Now, I have the exact same account on both cards. They insisted I entered the incorrect account number therefore, caused the check to go to another account. These are from people who can't spell my last name when I recite it to them. Now, they want 30 days to investigate. By then, the promo will be over and the interest will be for 2 cards with same amount. All I get from them is "but you don't understand sir" **! I do get it! These Pakistanis and Indians who doesn't speak English do not understand me at all.

Original review: June 20, 2011

I know what my expenses are when I put them on credit cards. I also know when I have cancelled something long before it would go on a credit card. Chase however, does not recognize this (Chase AARP Credit Card Services). Stupidly, I looked at some programs that are supposed to improve your computer. They were supposed to be free for 30 days before they are put on your credit card. It was a big lie. When I received the statement from Chase, there it was, blaring me in the face. I immediately went into action to remove this mistake, since when I put the program on the computer; I removed it the same day. Later, in an article in Women’s World Magazine, I found out that these were scams. I have sent letter after letter to Chase with no results. Please help. I don't need this in my life.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2010

I too have had a problem with my Chase AARP Visa card recently. I have used this card quite a bit over the years, mainly because of the 8.99% interest. I have not used the card in some time, because I was saving it for an extended vacation trip. I have paperless billing, and hadn't read the fine print in a while. Lo and behold, my rate is not 14.24%. I've never been late. And several times, I have paid a high balance off in full before the due dates. When I contacted the on-line customer service area, I was very unhappy. I explained that I wanted to use this card for my 2-month cross country trip, but I wanted the card back at the original 8.99% rate. They contacted me later that day and said that they were unable to offer me a lower rate at this time. Not only that, but we found that the blank "use anytime" checks that were supposed to be 0% interest came with all kinds of hidden finance charges on the monthly bills.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2010

History: I did not get a bill and I was told I was liable. The due date is July 23, 2010. Chase cashed my check on July 12, 2010 for an amount $230 via my handwritten note. Everything is okay but I get calls and they are denying that they are calling me. My caller ID does not lie. Today, I got calls from 407 on August 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm, 2:53 pm, 7:30 pm and at 7:42 pm. I called 800- and I was told that there are no records that someone called me. I called 407- and was told that I dialed an 800 number and no one called me. My caller ID is clearly marked Chase 407. I want to add that I am a communications technician for AT&T. My job is traps and traces that I have been doing for over 8 years. This is a continual phone harassment to me for a bill that Chase put into the incorrect account. Again, I was to stress that my check was cashed on July 12, 2010 when my due date is July 23, 2010.

Original review: June 10, 2010

AARP Chase Visa users, hold onto your wallets! The new rules have all changed. After the crazy rate increases and justified complaints, reform legislation has foisted a whole new set of unregulated and permitted fees on the credit card user. Paid off your Chase card balance because of the high interest rates? Now there's a $ 1.00 minimum interest charge per month (Read that as $ 12.00 per year for the privilege of having AARP's logo on your Chase Visa card). This is roughly equivalent to interest on a $60 balance each and every month, plus added nuisance fees for any additional way they can charge a fee. AARP is doing a disservice to its members unless it negotiates the best Credit Card offer in the industry and maintains that position.

Original review: March 26, 2010

I am writing this email to inquire about Chase National bank to proudly continue to use AARP logo and they just recently raised interest rates by over 5% and charges hidden charges regardless whether you pay balance in full or not. I have other credit cards and they are 5 % cheaper on interest than Chase. In fact, all major credit cards are cheaper. So what is my benefit to use or belong to AARP any longer? Chase is only ripping the elderly people off and they are suppose to be helping them.

I have been a member of AARP for about 22 years but I am considering circulating a petition on AOL to let people know first hand what Chase National bank is doing. Feel free to check my payment records to them for about 5 or 6 years. I was never later and never over my limit but today I am paying them in full and they better not have hidden charges again because I won't pay when I get ripped off any. It has to be a rip off because it never happened before and or with any other credit card including Bank of America and Wachovia. So I will take my business elsewhere. Chase thinks they will put any kind of a charge and we senile seniors have to pay it. But I wo'nt anymore because I am done with crooks. Maybe they want to send their CEO another Golden Parachute but not from me. I am done with AARP Chase credit card services as this day, 3-25-2008.

Original review: March 4, 2010
I have had a credit card with aarp (they don't deserve upper case) for many years at a decent interest rate but all that changed this year. They

doubled my rate for no reason. Other than they could, I have never been late and always pay more than I have too. When I contacted the company, they talked to me as if I were a second class citizen. My family and I will stop doing business with aarp immediately--home, auto, life and credit card! Let's all join together and bring them down. Stand up, America!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2010

I had a Chase AARP card. On the 9th of Feb, I paid the card off completely. Two weeks later, Chase billed me for interest during that two week period and charged me $10.93. I had closed off this card because of their interest and billing practices and this must be their last parting insult. Chase is a ripoff artist. I think Chase should be prosecuted for unlawful and unethical practices

Original review: Oct. 22, 2009
Original review: Oct. 5, 2009
Original review: Aug. 28, 2009

Yesterday, I received a new billing from Chase with a late charge of $39. I immediately called them and tried to talk to someone who could help me to reverse this charge. I have been a cardholder for years and never pay late. In fact, I pay early and pay extra too. This bill is for a special offer from them for 2.99% until paid off. I owe now approximately $2900. I pay electronically, however, the billing for last month was very late in getting here. I always send the payments within 2-3 days after I receive them. The bank sent the payment the same day it was due, Tuesday the 14th; however, it was not posted to my Chase account until the 18th, which was 4 days later.

This is insane that I am unable to speak with a supervisor when I requested that. The two representatives I spoke to told me that there is no possibility of removing a late fee. When I asked for the supervisor, they told me that he/she would not talk to me about removing a late fee. There is just no one I can speak to who will even listen. I explained how the billing was late, how long I was a member and how I pay early and electronically, so there is nothing more I can do and I am just completely frustrated.

Original review: July 18, 2009

We have never been late on a payment and paid more than the minimum. In April 2009, a Chase rep called to promote their rewards service and said they would like to be our primary credit card. We asked if there was a cost, no, then we agreed. We didn't get a bill in May. My husband called and was told that we had requested an electronic bill. No, we never did that and no one ever advised us that we were being changed to an electronic bill. Chase said, "We e-mailed you the bill." I looked for it and found it in the more than 350 junk e-mails. We gave the Chase rep our bank account number to have them take the payment directly from our checking account. She said she didn't need two number we gave her. We waited for the amount to clear our bank but it wasn't showing up. We called Chase and explained the whole thing, gave them the bank account number again. They said it would take a few days to clear the bank and check of it to clear the following Monday.

We checked, nothing. We had to call Chase again and give them the number again and it finally cleared. But because they input the wrong number the first time, it was rejected. Then by the time they finally got it input to our bank, they charged us a late fee and increased our interest rate from 9.99% to 24.9%. We paid the entire balance off and will not use the card again. We also wrote to AARP about their association with a company like Chase who uses deceptive and fraudulent practices. We wrote to Chase Visa to request reimbursement for the late fee. We haven't heard anything from either. However, we copied our senators and congressman and President Obama. We urge you all to do the same and contact the members of the US Senate and House Financial Services Committees and urge them to support the bill creating a new Consumer Financial Protection Agency. This committee would regulate credit card companies and prevent them from using deceptive and fraudulent practices. Power to the people!

Original review: June 11, 2009

I do not have an AARP card. I have a credit card for personal use. I have no balance on my account. I received two pieces of mail today: one telling me my card would be closed and another with four blank checks encouraging me to make a charge on my account.

The letter listed three possible causes for this closure: 1) total available credit on satisfactory bank cards is too low. 2) Bankcard balance grew too fast compared to credit limit and time on file. 3) average length of time since account's opening is too short. None of these three applied to me. I have had the card at least three years. I think it is unfortunate that a company outsources its business, robbing Americans of jobs.

I called the number on the letter and spoke to someone who call himself Bob in India. I asked whom I could speak with, and I was told there really is no one in particular to talk to. I agree there really is no one to talk to. I am glad to be rid of this company! There was no economic damage except I cannot have the $4000 credit previously available to me, because I have no balance.

Original review: March 29, 2009
Original review: March 21, 2009
Original review: March 16, 2009
Original review: March 5, 2009
Original review: Feb. 22, 2009
Original review: Feb. 5, 2009
Original review: Jan. 24, 2009
Original review: Nov. 30, 2008

AARP Chase Visa Company Information