1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2408 Credit One Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Received a text from them stating a charge was declined due to potential fraud. I check my statement and noticed there were two more fraud charges. The person I spoke to said that I needed to contact the merchant multiple times even though I have never visited those merchants. They also issued a new card without informing me first and now I cannot close my account. Steer well clear of this company as they are not looking out for you but themselves.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Received a notice in the mail today (VERY official looking, even containing the little card agreement and rewards booklets) about my "account number ending in **". I have no account with them and never applied. I called the 877-825-3242 (which is also listed on Creditonebank.com) and so stupidly, not even thinking, I punched in my social security number when prompted (it was "checking on the status of an application"). When I got connected, a man with a Middle-Eastern accent came on and asked me to re-verify my Social Security number. As soon as this happened I knew I had been scammed. When I asked him to just tell me more about this letter, he started going around in circles and ultimately said "don't worry, you can trust me." That just gave it away. I hung up and contacted my actual bank, who has now advised me to contact the Social Security office as well as the three credit bureaus about this possible and likely fraud. Great.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

The customer service is horrible!!! I had questions about an issue with the app and they wouldn't let me talk. They would interrupt me every time I wanted to explain the issue. That was so disrespectful but I decided to let it go and make a second call. I was still confused. I wanted to make sure the issue with my app wouldn't charge me twice. (I didn't know that they don't allow 2 payments in one day) Sean could have told me that in the first call.

Well... I called the second time and explained that I was still confused. The second guy Sebastian also didn't let me finish one sentence. They canceled my payment because they couldn't let me finish what I wanted to say. I thought that was incredibly frustrating. I requested a supervisor to Sebastian and he asked me why. I said there is no need to clarify an issue or question or any doubt in 2 calls. (If they listen they would understand the customer right away)

The rudeness and lack of manners from them was not necessary. I told that to Sebastian and he hung up on me. I did not raise my voice and I never use bad language. I just stated that the way they handle a situation is very bad. I called a 3rd time and Jorge, the supervisor was about to start like them but didn't. I guess he remembered his manners.

Customers issues or complaints ARE NOT against the customer service representative. IT IS NOT PERSONAL. It's an issue or misunderstanding with money or the system. If the representative makes it personal, then that is not a job for them. I understand that there are rude customers as well but it is not fair... or professional to treat everyone the same way. So disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

So I got a card from Credit One with the hopes of rebuilding credit like most other people. The card showed up and I used it sparingly for the month. When the bill came up, I Paypal transferred funds and didn't think anything about it further. Two days later I get a call saying the payment was denied because I didn't authorize it... Umm it's my Paypal to my credit card, how is it not? At that point they proceeded to cancel my card on the spot and then charge me a $50 late fee! I refused to pay for it and told them where to go. Now as of yesterday, 90 days later, they gave me a charge off on my credit report giving me a 120 point hit and adding another $25 late fee! Many phone calls are being made on this one, stay away from this crap company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Called them to remove the block they placed on my online access account and said it was due to a unconfirmed charge. Asked me if I accepted the charge, yes or no. I said no, but it looked like they had processed the charge anyways, based on my mailed statement. They claimed it was just pending. Lies, I have the statement! I said I just wanted the block off, she assured me it was off. But I still cannot access my account and NOW, GET THIS, I call and as soon as I enter my info to verify my acct., the call automatically disconnects!!! WTF. So mad. I'm hoping this is fixed by morning and they "unblock" me so I can make my payment in time. This is insane. I will not use this card again, after I pay it off. Which is what I'm attempting to do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit One Bank?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Be aware!!! This company is a scam. When you try to make purchase your card will be declined. Also they lock you out of their website. I called to see why my card was declined they said it may be due to possible money laundering. I have a credit line of $300.00 and what I used, I paid in full. I'm not sure how paying off this card could cause such a ridiculous accusation. The so called Supervisor "Mr. **" asked me to send my personal bank information to confirm I was the person that made the payment. I won’t be sharing this information. I called later that day to cancel my card. "Stephanie" wanted my password to unlock the account. As I begin to tell her, right away she told me that it wasn't right and of course she tried to pull more personal information.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I just received this card today, and within about 7 hours cancelled the card after trying to use it at several different merchants. I pretty annoyed by the $75 annual fee, plus the $8 fee on top of another $6.95 "design fee", all of which were not expressed to be paid as soon as you activate the card but since I am trying to rebuild my credit, I went ahead with it. I didn't get truly frustrated with the card until I tried to use the card, and with every attempt it was declined. I tried using it online first to make a payment...declined. Then I tried using it at Mcdonald's...Declined. Then I tried the most popular retailer in the U.S. (Walmart)...declined.

I said, well let me try a PayPal payment....guess what, declined. Now in between each of these declines, I called Credit One every time, and every time they gave me the same script. Wait 15 mins for them to "reset" the security because of "unusual" activity, like buying fast food is "unusual". I was also given the script that maybe it was because I might not be in the area where the card is mailed to which was utter BS, as I just received the card. I eventually just lucked out on a Capital One Card which will allow me to rebuild. If I could give this a 0 I would as what use is a card which charges a monthly fee plus an annual fee if I cannot even reliably use it. Seems like a scam to get folks money. I quickly got out of it and recommend anyone looking at this to simply keep it moving.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I'm NOT even a Credit One customer and someone from THEIR office attempted to scam me starting with $409.95 (3x), $309.95 and a $209.95. Somehow they got my legit ATM card number and attempted these transactions today 1-7-2019 starting at about 7:30 am back to back. Eventually my bank and I got together and I was forced having to cancel my LEGIT card altogether. With them using the Capital One logo, people think this is a real credit card, it is NOT. Used to get their "invitation" in the mail all the time but went in "file 13" on my end. READ everything thorough from ANY type of card invitation. Research them. Just a matter of time now when they are closed down, in my case, this was a federal offense.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I went to an ATM Machine a day ago to attempt to get a cash advance, I already checked my balance and available balance online before doing so. It was declined. Stating that I had to contact Financial institution. I went to Lowe's believing maybe this had to do with cash advance and attempted to spend $25.00 much less than my available balance that I checked online and also receive notifications from Credit One that I have the available credit. I called the toll free number, they informed me that my card was blocked.

Now get this! I received NO NOTIFICATIONS by e-mail nor text stating that it was blocked, but receive almost daily notifications of balances and availability credit. They informed me that they cannot tell me why it is blocked and that in order to get it unblocked, they need a copy of a utility bill and a copy of my driver's license faxed or mailed to them. Upon receipt of these documents which takes up to 72 hours to process and another 10 days to unblock, they will unblock the card. I pay a lot for processing and Annual fee. No Credit One, not acceptable and yes I want to cancel my card and my Annual fee refunded!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I received an offer in the mail and I went on the website to see what the offer was. I was approved and was led to believe that there was no annual fee and I would have a credit limit of $3,000. Once I accepted the offer, I was hit with a $75 annual fee and given a credit line of $300. Far different than what I was led to believe I would get. The first payment came due and I decided I would pay it through the website. I set the payment up, which by the way you cannot select the date as they select the date based on the time of day that you select make payment.

You can also do an express payment which they charge you for. The payment posted on the due date, mind you I had to wait until the day before to set it up or it would have been posted sooner. Then about 2 weeks later I get notice that the payment was returned and the next day I received a credit line increase to $400. I checked with my bank and the payment was never submitted to my bank. I called Credit One about this and had to speak to 3 or 4 people that barely spoke English.

I asked each one for someone in the United States and they could say was "Let me get supervisor." I finally got to someone in Las Vegas who told me that I could cancel the card within 30 days and the annual fee would be credited. Well, it had been over 30 days. The website is constantly down. There is no way to email a complaint to anybody. They refuse to do anything via email. In January, my 2nd payment, I sent via Western Union. The only I was able to get this information was to send an instant message via Facebook and then it took 24 hours for them to respond. I made the payment on Saturday and chose 2 day since the payment was due on Monday, so I thought.

On Sunday I get notice that my payment was late. I called in and there was not an option to speak with a live person, so I pressed "0" several times and finally reached somebody. This person barely spoke English. I asked to speak with someone in the United States, he says "hold on, I transfer you." I am on hold and he comes back on and says "Hold. I transfer you to supervisor." I thought I was already being transferred but oh well. Then the supervisor comes on the line and I once again ask for the United States representative. The supervisor had to ask all my information and enter it before she could do anything. So I ask multiple times for the United States.

I finally informed that the United States office is closed on Saturday and Sunday. I then tell her that I made payment via Western Union and have the confirmation number and receipt of payment. She then says "that no good, it not posted to account." I again say "I have a confirmation number that the payment was made and I do this same thing with Capital One, and they are able to pull the number and note payment has been made." She says "We Credit One, not Capital One." I tried to explain again that she can access Western Union to verify payment and she says "No can't do." I finally hung up. I have used this card 1 time and do not have plans on using it at all. Oh, they also charge a daily interest rate from the day that a purchase is made. So you may charge $50 and think you will pay it in full when the payment comes due and instead of paying $50 you have to pay $54. Consumer beware is all I can say.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

This is the worst card I have ever had and the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I got this card to rebuild my credit but I am learning it is not worth it. These people are scammers. There has been many times when I could not make a payment online because I could not log in until the due date was passed. Just recently I made my payment a week in advance and it never posted. Now they are charging me late fees. I regret ever accepting this card. My new year's resolution is to pay this off and say goodbye to these idiots forever! Say NO to this offer!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I got this card to purchase my tax & payroll software (I own a bookkeeping business & need to update my software at the beginning of the year). I am unable to purchase the software I need online because their computer thinks it is a suspicious transaction. I have phoned to get the charge to go through and it will not... The last person I spoke to - a supervisor - advised me to wait a couple days and try it again. My clients want their paychecks on payday! I am canceling this card and if you plan on making any online purchases, stay away from these folks - they are bad news!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Just read all the reviews for this company and you will get your answer. I first got approved and paid on time for months and when I had asked for increase, I was denied. I called to cancel and was then informed it has when I didn’t know. I was on hold after being transferred to the department handling closing account. I didn’t speak to anyone but when I called back, I was informed my card has already been closed. Please, do not accept or even attempt to rebuild credit with them. Credit One has been the best and automatically increased mine automatically. No for Credit One bank!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My card was hacked last year. Company finally worked to put a password on my account so I could talk to them. Almost 4 months before my money was credited back. Now I find one of my cards was blocked without notice to me. After talking to rep, supervisor, supervisor's manager and now the manager's manager (I think they are just passing me around the room in India) they will not unblock my account unless I send them my driver's license and utility bill to confirm my address. They say I purchase I made 2 months at Target that was shipped to my home went to a different address. Really? "You will not have access to your credit unless we receive these documents". I will pay off this card and close the account. Company is made up of thieves. Stay away!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

These people routinely block your access to your account with no explanation. You call them and they say you have to mail information in to get it unlocked. They prevent you from making payments except during set windows obviously so they have time to make interest off your money. In addition if you want to make a payment that posts in a timely fashion (like within 2-3 days), you have to pay an additional "express" fee. If you pay it the "regular" way without the fee, you have to wait until the second coming for it to post. They then hide behind the poor innocent people in their Filipino call center who take all the customer frustration for their criminal bosses who hide behind the scenes. What else is new, right? The cowards who make the decisions always hide under a rock. Disgusting.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Never had a credit card. First company to give me a chance but the stupidest thing I realize is when your payment is due per se the 28th of the month even though you make the payment on the 28th they still issue you a late fee. Will be contacting an attorney regarding.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Aside from an initial fee charged when you open an account, they charge a monthly fee of $8.25 after your first year. When you accept a credit increase from them they charge you $25 just for the privilege of paying them more interest. When you discover that your credit card was lost or stolen (as happened to me) they charge you $25 for the privilege of receiving a new card. If you have made the unfortunate decision as I did to sign up for this card I suggest you pay it off as quickly as possible and cancel it as I intend to.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This company is the worst I've ever worked with. I am never able to access the website to make payments, on hold for more than 20-30 minutes minimum just to make a payment by phone, and the fees are horrible. They repeatedly suspended my account just for making normal transactions near where I live, essentially making the card useless. To make a payment by phone because their website is down or to get in contact because I'm locked out due to suspension, it takes 3 days just to allow me to log on to check my balance or get any information on the account.

If a payment is not made on time, almost always due to suspension or their non-functioning website, I start getting spam calls from people who immediately ask for my SSN last 4, address, and so on. Very suspicious so I never respond when they call me, Only when I call them do I give out that info. Service issues considered, along with the repeated suspension of my account for normal activity, and "mystery fees," I will never trust this company with my money and neither should anyone else. They're running some kind of legal scam and it's obvious if you've ever had to deal with this "bank."

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Probably the worst credit card company out there. They charge 12.00 per month in fees. If you ever have to call for any issue you will never receive any person who speaks understandable English, even the managers cannot be understood. You cannot even make a payment on the phone, they only allow payments online which in my experience you also have to pay $5.00 just to make a payment online, so unless you have checks it's a nightmare. I recently ended my account with them after 3 yrs. If I would have paid attention to all of fees from the begin I would have ended it earlier.

They also do not mention the $12 a month membership fee in the fine line agreement. Overall I would not recommend this card to any person, even if trying to build credit. There are many other companies out there that offer way better agreements with less **. I give this company a 0 and I hope they go bankrupt in the near future and get summoned by the Better Business Bureau for fraud and false information, this company is a bunch of crooks!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

The customer service representative 'MARY' asked me more than enough questions to verify my identity. But then she proceeds to ask me what was the security question I was asked when setting my account over the phone. This was over two years ago!! Even after I asked if there was another option to verify my identity (ie. text to my phone or email verification), she proceeds to tell me she cannot help me unless I verify the security question I was asked when setting up the account and the answer I gave. I asked to speak with a supervisor, after which I was put on hold indefinitely. I've never experienced anything like this. Credit One Bank is a diabolical institution!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Credit One Bank is a scam! They offer a $400 credit limit & charge an annual fee of $75 right off the top! Then charge you interest & late fees on top of that annual fee. The card is not usable. It gets declined every time. When you call customer service you will get hung up on & disconnected. There is never a supervisor to speak with. The attorney general should get involved & close down this scam of a company! They are taking advantage of people.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

There are no words to describe the unethical verbal abuse one has to put up with their overseas customer's service department. I over a period of three months for different occasions have been verbally abused, yelled at, hung up on by overseas customer service representatives who hide behind a phone with no understanding that they are servicing Hard working American citizens that have no reason to be treated this way. The card is good to rebuild your credit but if you have to call in ask to speak to someone in the USA Las Vegas. I have 5 recorded phone conversations of unethical individuals violating all decency in human relationships. Someone in management needs to address this situation ASAP before more lawsuits are filed. Come to the USA and don’t hide behind a phone and we'll see how far you get with the verbal abuse.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Using a credit card is both a responsibility and a discipline. Long ago, the death of a spouse plummeted me into poor credit rating, so the climb out began. Beware of this resource. Owning this card is a mine field. First of all, this is a obviously a credit-building credit card; it targets the "low-end" customer and the vendor truly takes aim at that customer and fires hard. Though they have a fairly impressive user infrastructure online (hence, the star) surcharges for "express pay" and "custom card designs" are just a few things designed to bilk the unsuspecting.

I have an excellent payment record, but recently made a move overseas - come to find out, many (if not most) countries are locked out of the website and phone app. Two other banks I use work just fine. When I contacted COB long distance by phone, they tried to spin it (with a thick foreign accent, no less) as a positive, saying, "we block our site in foreign countries on purpose to protect our customers." I had to laugh out loud, because it's a scheme - if you don't have a VPN (I finally got one), you will not be able to log on, your bill will lapse with late payment... Your credit rating will go deeper in the toilet and the entire purpose of getting such a card is defeated.

The moral of the story? Pay this off, and run far, far away from Credit One Bank. Your good credit is the furthest thing from their minds. PS - I tried to leave this happy review on their website (5500 reviews listed, most of them a love-fest) there was no way to leave a comment! That's what happens when you no doubt pay a company to write bogus ones.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have had this card for a year. I have had to make late payments on a few occasions because the website is almost always down. I do not like giving my information over the phone. Then their website wouldn't allow me to log in saying my password was incorrect. Even after several resets, it would say the temporary password was incorrect as well. They told me I had to download the app. I downloaded it and when I tried to put in my banking information the routing number was off one digit.

Then they told me because I was off 1 digit I had to get a letter from my bank to get the ban lifted from my online access which is just ludicrous. So I called and paid it off and was just going to close the account but conveniently they closed it for me without telling me why or that they planned to close it to begin with. Now my credit report is packed full of late payments because of their consistently broken website and the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I wish I could give this crap of a company ZERO stars. Please stay away. Best not to have a credit card than be associated with this company. I honestly don't know how they are in business and you can never talk to someone in the States. The workers are literally clueless and you'll never get any help from them. I had fraud on my account in April of 2018, still haven't received my refund even though I received a new card and a letter stating they did investigation and that it wasn't my charges and I will be receiving a refund. I call every week since but they keep giving run around. Basically the head doesn't know what the arm is doing. The minute I get my refund I'm closing this account. I have better cards with way higher limits and NO annual fees or monthly BS fees. Don't need them. Can't wait to close my account!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

This company sucks. Fees are ridiculous, if you are late on 1 payment, they will call you 30 times a day from different numbers. The numbers are somehow always local to your current location and I have location turned off in the app on my phone. If you make your payments on time, it's hard to get a credit line increase. Plus they do not have an auto pay option like my other credit card companies have. Never missed a payment with Capital One doing auto pay. But don't get me started on their fees and lack of customer service either. Pay off your cards with this company and shred them. Garbage.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I would not refer this company to anyone. Someone had fraud on my Credit Card and I called it in before it actually went through and this company told me it would take 3 months to get my money recovered. WHAT credit card company makes you wait 3 months (during Christmas season) to reimburse you funds or make them available. So basically my money was stolen, and now this company is penalizing me for them letting a security breach through their own system. I wouldn't stay away from them if I were you. I personally can't now because they are holding my money hostage.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I received pre-qualified offer, figured okay I can use my main card less and use this card for random small purchases. Card arrives - I call to activate then I go online to activate online access and the nightmare begins. 5 calls in fifteen minutes I had to make as I kept getting error messages saying everything from ID and password not accepted or don’t match, computers down, one customer rep told me to answer security questions. Only thing is as I am not able to register I HAVE NO security questions set up, then they told me last four digits of social were out of sequence YET the four previous customer service reps had no issue as they too confirmed my social when I called.

Also no supervisor was available when I repeatedly asked for one and finally after being on hold for five minutes or more I finally told CS rep I will call back as this is terrible customer service. I check periodically and the website still appears to be down. I am unable to access my account online. Based upon this and reviews I now see patterns with this company. Will be reporting them to Better Business as well.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

This is one of the most horrible credit card approval I have ever experienced. Trying to build my credit score has CA it set me a decrease in my score. Approved for $300 and leaving me the availability to spend $150. On top of that a $75 annual fee was taken as soon as I received the card. A recent incident occurred 11/4/2018 via communication received the breach the customer's accounts and there was nothing to worry about. I tried paying my bill online and discovered my bank account information was gone and a debit card information that I pay my bill from is gone.

I spoke with a representative today 11/8/2018 regarding this suspicious violation. I was told I never had an account registered. Why is an outright alternative fact. I was put on hold because the icon wouldn't allow me to make a payment and stated that I needed to add a bank account. The icon was gold stating add bank account and it didn't work. The representative walked me the same process I had attempted. It allowed me to log in to my credit account that is set up with the user name and password. She put me on hold while she consulted with a higher official. When she returned she informed me to add my bank account information which was then showing a blue screen.

I stated I am totally afraid because I want to know what happened to all my other personal information that had been deleted out. She kept trying to convince me that I never had a bank account set up nor did I add a Brinks debit card. I informed her that I have save all email data received from Credit One Bank and I will be filing a complaint. I was able to pay my bill today using my bank account information that had been deleted previously. This company is a fraud and I or as I don't have any complications paying them off and cancel the card I received from them. The cash back is fraudulent too!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have paid this credit card off and I noticed they were charging monthly fees between $8.25-$8.66 every month. I couldn't figure out why. When I called, they did inform me that, "Yes, it is monthly fees". They connect me to Account Specialist and they acted like they were going to do me a favor by taking the monthly fee away until JULY 2019. I have excellent credit and I've had this credit card since 2002 (16 years). I do not remember having to pay a monthly fee like this. Also, they sent out mass texts on "Your payment is overdue". I freaked out! I have a $0 balance. Credit One says it was a system error. You would think with all the money they are ripping people off with the monthly charges, they would be able to keep their system running smoothly.

Credit One Bank Company Information