1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2345 Credit One Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Twice someone has called Credit One Bank and pretended to be me. They say I have moved and have a new credit card, new number too, sent to that address with my name. This happened at the end of July 2018 and the beginning of November 2018. Each time a different address and number. The first thing they did was pay off the account. In July I caught it before they made any charges. in November they paid off my card then made charges. I think these were valid payments and I wonder who the payment amount was sent back too. Credit One Bank, the fraudulent person?

I am suspicious that this is an internal Credit One Bank Scam? Each time this happens balances are transferred and different fees are applied. I am not sure if Credit One Bank is keeping these fees or not, hence the CREDIT ONE BANK INTERNAL SCAM! I THINK CREDIT ONE BANK NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED! The payments could be made by Credit One then they take it back then they keep the extra fees that are charged!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Total scam!!! I scheduled a payment as I have before through their app - payment to be made early through my bank account. Day after it was due I get an email and notification in the app that my payment was OVERDUE! They tacked on a late fee of $35. I called customer service - they said "we were unable to locate your account" - WTH does that mean? We verified the routing and account numbers exactly as they had been before. The only explanation I could get was, "maybe something has changed with your bank or you had one number wrong" - We JUST VERIFIED THE NUMBERS!!! I wanted them to take the payment over the phone and got them to waive the late fee, but they would not take the payment from the account - they wanted a debit card.

HMMM. I wanted them to use the account - they told me "if the payment is unable to go through this time your account will be automatically closed for 2 failed payments". We went back & forth for almost 20 min about how could Credit One not be able to locate the account, blah blah blah. I finally gave up and gave them the debit card number for the account just to get the ** call over with and move on. I'm sure they're gonna try and screw me again next month - gonna close this ASAFP.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Stay far far far away from this company. The customer service is awful. I don't mind speaking with reps from other countries but I generally can't understand their reps. If they are going to outsource, they should at least make an attempt to assure the people they are hiring are proficient in English and not beginners. Also, I forgot my password which made it so I could not login into their website and make payments. So I called customer service. I explained to them that I forgot my password and when I requested an email w/ temporary pw, it never came.

The rep I was speaking to told me that they don't send emails to msn.com addresses and would need to provide another email address. Say what?? I have gotten emails from them before - I received a payment confirmation every time I made a payment. I asked the rep to explain as I had received emails from them before. He told me I was mistaken. I told him I have copies of receipts in my emails so please explain happened if you guys "don't send emails" to msn.com addresses. He continued to insist that I provide another email address. No, I use a specific email address for all of my bills and I am not going to change it. I asked for a manager and the guy hung up on me. This company is very subpar if you ask me and a bunch of liars to boot.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Be very aware that this company is full of scams. When trying to close my account. I was told my renewal date was months away and I should wait to cancel then and for staying until then, I would credited $39 in my account (which never happened). Now still 2 months before I was told renewal date was, I have already seen my annual fee being charged to my account. Of course now I have to pay it to keep account in good standing. They use pressure tactics to keep you from closing account. DO NOT FALL FOR THEM. I agree with others, stay as far away from this company as possible.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Credit One bank charges you for every breath you take. They charged me annual fee right away from my balance when I started, they refused to send me a replacement card for free and wants to charge me $25. They charge monthly so many fees including maintenance fee annual fee plus interest. Now I need to make payment but I couldn’t because in order to reset your password you have to type in your credit card number but I don’t have it. In addition, they wants to charge me $9.95 to take the payment by phone. I don’t recommend it. They are aggressive fee charger.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit One Bank?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My checking account was debited twice for a single payment I made, well ahead of the due date. When my Credit Union charged back the nonauthorized payment, Credit One suspended my account. Credit One wanted a validation letter from my bank, which was sent to them. The issue has not been resolved. I will probably close the account.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

This company is a scam, calling me asking me for my bank account information to deduct money from my account - they offer programs BUT never are allowed to send anything in writing to confirm. They do nothing to help the consumer. My experience was horrible. They are a low life company, stay away at all costs.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I wish I could give this company zero stars. Their system deducted two payments from my checking account, at the same time, and they refuse to reverse one of the payments. The customer service supervisor told me that they can't do anything and sometimes their computer system incorrectly reads payments. The company is a total scam.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Rip off, never getting this card again, company doesn’t follow through on their offers to customers and only allows you to make 3 payments in a month to your card and that's **. Horrible experiences all the way around and c/s and management! They overcharge and are considered a bully in the credit industry especially for those of you trying to repair or rebuild your credit. They don't care about their users.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Credit One charges $8.25 every month EVEN IF you cancel your credit card BEFORE your one-year anniversary. As long as you have a balance on your account, they charge their customers a monthly fee. This fee applies EVEN IF you DO NOT receive paper billing statements and EVEN IF all your payments are electronic. The $8.25 monthly fee in ADDITION to monthly APR charges. This company should be avoided by ALL potential customers. They are very dishonest.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

The absolute worst credit card company I've ever dealt with. They will set you up so you can't pay them before you get paid. They won't change the payment date. They charge you 9 dollars to make a payment. You can't get out from under it because after they close the card you get a charge for 9 dollars... Reopens the card, then they charge one hundred fifty a year so you are just handing over your money and not really getting any credit. They are horrible and predatory...good luck. I'm not paying mine off ever because I already did. This company needs to be banned from doing business in the U.S.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I haven’t had the card for twenty four hours yet. They somehow blocked my card from transactions. Each time I went to use card it was declined. Never been so embarrassed in my life. I called and the customer service person told me to wait twenty minutes and it would be fixed. I tried in thirty minutes - it wasn’t fixed. Called back and kept getting a recording they were closed. Yet, they're supposed to be open twenty four hours. Praying I can cancel this card and it doesn’t mess up my credit.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Everyone has pretty much covered my list of complaints! Just a horrible credit card company all the way around, period! They are the ones who messed up my auto pay. They are the ones who tacked on fees for their screw up. They won't even acknowledge my email sent to them trying to fix their mess. They are not responsive.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've paid my bill twice with my bank card, now they're saying I have to use another account. This has been nothing but a headache. Trying to get a hold of the Better Business Bureau ASAP. They want you to have bad credit it seems.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

While traveling we had to keep calling the Credit One customer service, they would lock our card after each transaction. We told them we were traveling and they said they put it in the system yet after each use we had to call to unlock the card! When we get back home we are canceling all our cards with them. Not cool when you need to check into your hotel at midnight and can’t because your card is locked.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Predatory and unscrupulous lending institution tries to charge $104 in fees and interest on a $300 credit card limit in 30 days. I immediately cut the card and returned it, and when I called them, a woman said if I didn't pay it, they would report me to the three major credit reporting bureaus. I reported them to the three major credit reporting bureaus. They sent me a notice that "It is not too late to protect your credit rating!" This bank preys on customers who can be bullied and threatened into paying exorbitant and excessive fees. Credit One needs to be exposed.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

If you want to feel for paying 39 dollar membership fee don't get this creditor. If you want to be embarrassed spend hours on the phone speaking with customer service for every single transaction then do PLEASE APPLY FOR CREDIT ONE. EVERY TIME I MAKE A TRANSACTION I CAN'T BUY WHAT I NEED. Credit One states that the store in which I'm using my card is high-risk retailer at stores and restaurants like Taco Bell Walmart adds discount after spending an hour taking my time to find bargains and more discount to me meet my budget. Card declined sweating chest racing embarrassed about it. ** Josh account supervisor still can't help me. I requested new card perhaps and I have to pay 25 dollar fee. Crazy. Never will I.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

This credit card company has been the absolute worst experience for online payment processes. They continually request that I verify small deposits/withdrawals to & from my connected bank account. These can take weeks to happen and online payment access is not allowed until this is done. So, deadlines can come and go unless you make mail payments instead (very inconvenient)!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

On 10-12- on hold for almost half an hour waiting to speak to someone about interest calculations. The first customer service person had no idea about how to calculate interest or able to answer any intelligent questions. I don't see any need to elaborate any further- they have the worst customer service of any credit card company I have dealt with before regarding long holds.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Genuinely disgusted with this company. I was mailed a new card back in July... Never received it. I noticed purchases had been made to the card via the app. Immediately called and reported the card lost/stolen. I was told all would be handled. NOT ONLY did they report the account with fraudulent activity to the credit bureaus which caused my credit score that I have worked my butt off for to go down 112 points overnight, but they then send me a letter informing me that I was responsible for the charges based on the card supposedly being sent to my address and activated from my phone number. I immediately pulled my phone records and have proof which has been faxed to them TWICE now proving that I did not call and activate the card.

Now here we are 3 months later... I just received a second letter stating that I am being held responsible for these charges for the same reasons. Despite the fact that I have proven not once, but twice that the call was not made from my phone. I genuinely feel like they are attempting to bully me into paying charges I did not make and every time you call they are as sweet as can be, but tell you they can't do anything. I have literally wasted HOURS upon HOURS of my time dealing with this situation and at this point I have no other recourse than to turn to social media in hopes that something will be done. I have talked to customer service, account managers, the fraud department who never calls back mind you... All will tell you they will take care of it and nothing happens. I spoke to the fraud department last week and the woman I spoke with told me if I did not hear back from her the charges would be taken care of and my account would be rectified.

So here I am like an idiot waiting to see the account be reconciled via the app... 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 4 days, etc, etc and then receive another letter stating that I am being held responsible for the charges yet again. If I were anyone looking at this page or post I would stay as far away from Credit One bank as humanly possible. This company does not care about you, they don't care about what's right or wrong, they only care about destroying your credit and wasting your time. The whole thing makes me feel like it is just one big scam. How do I know the charges aren't all just bogus and have been put on there by Credit One themselves in an attempt to get more money... I'm not giving up and will do whatever necessary within the law to rectify this situation and restore my credit.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I sent a check to them by mistake. My check was address to Salem Bible Church, not Credit One. No date on check, no signature also. The Bank submit the check and it clear my bank. I call Credit One and ask how did they do that. I also paid the monthly premium. I call my bank and ask how did this check #** clear and it was not address to Credit One Bank. Receive a letter a couple days later from Credit One Bank saying because of that check, my account was close and sold to someone else to collect the balance that was due AND would be sent to credit bureau as a charge off.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

As like most people I got this card to better my credit. It has done the exact opposite. You start off already owing them $95 for an annual fee. That there should be a statement. I had a $300 credit line to start off with. I then lost my job and feel behind on a few payments. I now owe $916.05!!! I've called and tried to work something out so I can avoid these late fees but they want $300 every month and I can't afford that. You're better off getting a secured credit card and using that responsibly. This company needs legal action taken against them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I paid my Credit One bill on time every month using their online payment system. One time, the payment was apparently rejected because the bank information was incorrect (it was the same banking info I had used for EVERY payment). They abruptly closed my account preventing any further online access. I had no knowledge of this until I got a letter in the regular mail. I called them and they told me that the banking info was incorrect. I gave them the banking information over the phone (the same info that should have been in their system) and paid my monthly payment. THEY NEVER REINSTATED THE ACCOUNT and on top of that DINGED MY CREDIT FOR A LATE PAYMENT! I am now trying to sort this out and have paid my account in full and closed the account. CREDIT ONE BANK are a terrible company. Do not do business with them.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My husband started out with Credit One to up his Credit Score. I (his wife) pay the bills. I have had nothing but problems with this company and all I do is pay the bill. For 5 years been with this stupid company. Finally thought it was straightened out for me to pay, my husband had them send me a card and I still can’t pay without being bumped out of website. I have no problems with our other credit card companies. This company is the worst credit card I have ever experienced! I cannot believe after reading all of these complaints that they are still in business! What a Scam!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This has been the absolute worst experience. Each month they strategically changes things/policies causing it increasingly difficult to make payments. They won't allow you to set up automatic payments, nor will they allow you to call to make a payment. They charge ridiculous fees, and try to make new obstacles for you to face when trying to pay your monthly bills (I'm assuming they do this in hopes you'll miss the payment, therefore having to pay them more money). I honestly can go on, but the whole point is just do not even consider. These people will hurt you more than help you. I never write a review or make a complaint, but I did this solely to help someone, or anyone else keep from making a regrettable mistake. Credit is very Important here in the U.S, these people will for sure find a way to mess it up for you, unless you just have endless funds to pay ridiculous amounts. Just be warned.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have had my Credit One Bank Visa for just over a year. I also had a card with them back in 2010 to help establish credit. This card is targeted at those with poor/rebuilding credit, not at those who are totally new to credit. That being said, this card arrives to you already owing them $75 for the first annual fee. After one year, you are charged a hefty monthly fee of $8.25, labeled as the “annual fee.” The interest rate is high, but not as bad as First Premier Bank. Payments take 5 business days become available, and even paying the express payment fee of $9.95 will only allow $100 to be available the following day and the rest in 5 days.

Making a large payment signals a freeze to your account and they will make you verify your checking account on several occasions, even if you’ve already verified it prior. The worst part for me is when I noticed an unauthorized charge, they don’t credit your account in a timely manner like other banks and credit cards. Instead, they take 60 days, and continue reporting the fraudulent charge to your credit reports as a valid charge, which shows you have a high balance than you really do. Customer service is horrible and located in the Philippines. They read from scripts, repeat your question, then respond like a robot. I found that when having a major issue, the office of the president (corporate office) was the only real customer service. Unfortunately I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau just to get my complaint to the office of the president with Credit One bank.

The only advantages with this card is that with responsible use, they will periodically offer you a credit limit increase. The credit limit increases come with a $24.95 fee per increase! If you are looking to rebuild your credit I would recommend saving up at least 1k and applying for a secured card with Capital One. While Credit One Bank throws their cards out like candy, they come with initially really low credit limits which hurt your credit and force you to never spend much to keep the card under 25% utilization.

I was initially approved for a $400 credit line last year but now my credit limit is 1K. I believe the highest credit limit anyone can obtain with Credit One is $1,500. I plan on keeping this card for several more years, until old collections fall off my report, but I will rarely use it for purchases. Another great card to consider, if you save up the money, is a Discover Secured Card. I forgot to mention that if your payment is ever returned to Credit One, they will immediately close your account! I typed this review as things came to mind so sorry that I skipped back-and-forth.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I wanted to build up my credit so I got a Credit One card. The first couple of years were just fine. No problems paying online, didn't do express pay as I never needed to use the card asap with a low balance. Things were wonderful. I have trouble remembering what is due when so the email reminders were important to me. They were sent and received like clockwork. Then I got a call from them and was told I had missed a couple of payments. I was shocked as I had never missed a payment. I thought that maybe my Gmail started putting the messages into spam folder for some reason but when I did a search for the emails I found nothing. I found the last reminder I got but then nothing. Looked at the spam folder itself in case it was automatically deleted at some point, but there was still emails in there from before I got the last one from Credit One.

I went online to make a payment but was told my account was frozen and I had to call a certain number. I called it and after an unremembered amount of time the phone would hang up. I tried ten times to call and each time I was disconnected. Just suddenly would say "Thank you, goodbye." Never talked to another human or machine from the company again. Tried the number on the card and it wouldn't even go through. They never called me again about the late payments. Next time I heard from them was through my credit report. They absolutely ruined my credit. Never heard from a collection agency about the debt either, but it is still on my credit report and continues to weigh it down.

Forgetting my struggles, my husband recently got one of their cards to improve his credit. He asked me to check the balance on his card as it was declined at the store and he has only used it once. I tried using Chrome, but the site wouldn't load so I had to use Firefox. I entered what I believed was the log in information but was told that it wasn't. I tried to recover the information and after filling out all the information asked for I hit the continue button and nothing happened. Looked at the website html code (I'm a web designer) and the JavaScript is empty. It was a button to nowhere.

Tried to register since it's quite possible it wasn't registered yet and after filling out the form I hit the button and was told that I needed to fill out all the information in red as everything with an asterisk was required. The entire form was red. All the information I had entered was removed and the form was empty and red. Tried twice and got the same result. Told my husband to try it where he's at just to rule out any location issues they might have although I am in the same location I've always been in when making payments online.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I had this card made payments at one time. I had just made a payment in the amount of 400. Then I notice I had a balance of 6.46 I set up a payment. I realized I didn't have money in my bank account to cover the charge so I went to cancel the payment. With this company you can't cancel payments. So I guess the payment got returned the company closed my account of 6.46 then said I had an outstanding balance. This is crazy. I called the company. They stated that the account was closed and could not be reopened. Over 6.46.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I am a victim of credit card fraud with Credit One. I will be closing this account with them as they do not take theft seriously. I think they give your personal information to people in the USA. They are sending me a new card for the third time in one month. It is disgusting how they get away with this fraud. STAY AWAY FROM CREDIT ONE CREDIT CARD. They have caused me nothing but trouble!! I will be reporting them to the FTC and the FBI.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I never get a credit card with an annual fee, but it wasn’t obvious. Blurred in the fine print; $95 Annual Fee <— Ripoff; Upon approval acceptance you're automatically in debt $95. Payments: delayed 4 to 5 days; you can expedite for $10 or $15 dollars. Another Scam: <— Ripoff. Here’s where they shine: Based in Las Vegas, NV but their customer service is based in the Philippines. You using voice over IP: Can a company be any more cheaper. Predatory institution. Poor business ethics by outsourcing to a 3rd world country, not keeping business values at home. US labor laws cannot be enforced. Slave labor, no oversight. Customer Service, is a joke, they read from scripts, repeat your questions to you, and provide a moronic answer. You get preapproved in a snap because you begin by owing them $95.

Updated on 09/27/2018: I closed my account with Credit One Bank. Three days later I discover the closed account had a $7.** negative balance. Had to call in to find out where charge came from. Was informed that the billing cycle had closed and that was the interest owed. Agitated said ‘on a closed account.’ Yes, that’s in the terms and conditions. I finished telling the phone rep, you obviously don’t live in the U. S. (He was in the Philippines) and you obviously don’t know the law. We were done and hung up. Called back, asked to speak to corporate office, got a supervisor instead. I stated it was against the law to charge interest on closed accounts. Got transferred to another supervisor who reviewed the account quickly then stated they were sorry this happened, but she would waive the insurance fees.

I stated that there’s a glitch in the program. When someone calls to get the payoff amount, pays and closes the account. No more activity is allowed. Then to have reps on the phone stating you have to pay the fee’s is highly illegal and government regulators need to review the banking system software. If it happened to me, it’s happening to others. I wonder what other glitches they find. I told her to alert management for I would be reporting this issue. Thus; this posting, and Yes, Government Regulators does need to review the banks processes.

The issues; Asking for a payoff amount, rep’s don’t know how to give proper info for a close account amount request. Rep’s trying to collect funds erroneously and have no clue they're doing so illegally, lacking proper education or understanding of the banking laws. Banking software adding interest on a zeroed out, closed account. Other banking flaws most likely exist. A confidence review of their system is prudent. I am glad I no longer have to deal with this horrible institution ever again. Worst experience ever with a banking institution.

Credit One Bank Company Information