Find the Best Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

2453 Credit One Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

While most credit card companies work with you when you have a financial hardship, Credit One is not one to. If you lose a job or experience a hardship that does not allow you to make payments, they do not provide any kind of assistance, even if you pay for the credit protection. It does not protect you. For being sub prime lender, they do not have the primary understanding of hardships.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have been a cardholder for several years now. In the past when my account was compromised, Credit One Bank closed the account and issued a new card. I was satisfied. However, recently I have not had the same experience. My card was compromised by a merchant. Credit One instantly suspended my account. I cannot see the card in my profile. No communication was provided. When I called inquiring why I was told about the security breach with the merchant (Credit One will not release the name of the merchant). Until I mail (not fax or email) copies of my drivers license and two bills demonstrating my address I am unable to access this account. Including paying this month's payment. I find it very paradoxical they have a hold on my account for a breach of security of identity yet they are asking me to provide a photo ID and two of my personal bills to prove who I am.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Credit One was one of the first companies to offer me a credit card after I went through a difficult chapter in my life. I was grateful and accepted the card and even ended up opening two accounts with the hope of improving my credit. Maybe it was a mistake, because I was stuck with pretty high annuals fees on both of my cards. It seems that Credit One has the uncanny ability of sucking out every single penny that it can from its customers. I constantly received offers to increase my credit if I paid a fee. I am not sure to what extent they helped me to improve my credit, but within nearly one year I started receiving other offers (with no annual fees).

In regard to customer service, on one occasion I had a fraudulent charge, and it was fairly frustrating since there was a pretty significant communication barrier with the agent (I could not understand much of what she was saying). Also, I was not refunded the money immediately and had to wait until an investigation took place. I was told that this process can take up to 90 days (not impressed). I was initially grateful for their offer of credit, but this card basically seems like a paid service to increase your credit because of the high fees and interest. I just recently closed out both of my accounts and am happy to have no more annual fees!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have had an account with these guys for years, my first after needing to rebuild my credit. Everything was ok until recently when their website keeps telling me my online account access is "temporarily suspended". I call and we reset and provide security answers but the next month it's exactly the same problem. Is it possible that now that I have other reputable cards they are trying to cause me problems? I find this so odd, it's not like you do anything online except make payments and check your balance. What could their problem be?

Original review: March 19, 2019

Just about any time I have had a problem, Credit One bank has fixed it in a timely manner. They also do the right thing before I ever have to ask. Thank you for being available and for being friendly!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit One Bank?

Original review: March 17, 2019

I've been with Credit One Bank for three years to date. I have been graced to keep my account in a pristine manner. I have received credit increases without fees. Even received refund credits in the mail. Here's the issue. I only pay the monthly annual fee of $8.25 immediately when posted online. I pay through the standard method. No problem there. I requested a credit increase to be denied. The reason; "Have not met standard minimum requirements in 90 days". Called customer service and they do not know what that meant. Well, this card started my credit history. I will wait and pay monthly annual fee for another year then close account. They have done me well and now the love affair is over.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Credit One gave me a credit card when no one else would. I admit, their rates are high, but if your credit is bad, what do you expect. If you pay on time, they WILL NOT bother you. I have nothing bad to say about them, because they were there for me. I pay it off every month and now my limit is at 1700. By doing this, the high rates never affect me. So please, STOP! Pay your bills, get your scores up and THEN you can get rid of the card since it's so bad.

Original review: March 13, 2019

This was supposed to a credit building card. Interest rate is absurd, and it never goes down no matter what! You can be on time and early every month for two years and they won't negotiate a better rate. After several months of having the card they offered me a credit line increase, IF I paid them a fee to increase it! Seriously, I laughed. Customer service is wretched if you can understand them. There are other cards out there that are better. Don't walk, run away from this offer if you get one!

Original review: March 12, 2019

This company behaves in a scam-like manner. They call at all hours of the day and night from different numbers all over the world, then if you answer, the person has such a thick accent that an English speaking person cannot understand anything they say. They absolutely torment you for as little as $25! This was a credit building program that I’m sure now I will have tremendous difficulty ever getting away from them. They CONSTANTLY called my phone while I was in surgery AND when my family member was dying and when we were trying to bury her. I have to turn my phone off because of these jerks!

Original review: March 9, 2019

If I could give them a lower rating I would. I should have received my card in January. They "sent it to the wrong address" then cancelled the initial card to be safe. Then 3 weeks go by. Still no card. I call them. They said they had yet to stamp it. 3 more weeks have still gone by. Still no card.

Original review: March 8, 2019

After about 8 months of using the card, Credit One placed a hole on the account and advised me that I would need to send in documents to unfreeze the account. In the meantime I had a payment due and they would not take the payment over the phone and I would have to send a MoneyGram or Western Union (like the con artists that they are). This late payment was obviously hit with fees and affected my credit rating. I have submitted a complaint to the Consumer Finance Bureau and requested that my account be closed. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: March 7, 2019

I'm a former card holder as my account was subsequently CLOSED by Credit One Bank when I entered into Debt Management Program. I'm told that annual fees and interest will CONTINUE until my balance is paid in full. This is totally ludicrous.

Original review: March 7, 2019

They give you two options to make your credit card payments. One is a standard payment, the other is an express payment for 9.95. When you try to make a payment using the standard method, which costs nothing, they don't allow you to do it. They force you to make an express payment so they can burn you for 9.95. If you call them to complain about not being able to make a standard payment, they take your payment over the phone, then charge you 9.95, which their representative in ECUADOR, of all places, tells you he's not going to do, but he does it anyway. Why Consumer Affairs hasn't done anything about this legal scam company is beyond me.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I have had my card for 2 months now and it's a complete waste of time. $75 annual fee is a joke. Have had two $100 returned payments for insufficient funds even though my bank has no record of them attempting to charge my account. Customer service sucks. Tried to call and pay my balance completely off and they would not let me. The online or app pay bill does not work ever but try to call and they won't accept it and will hang up mid-call. Complete ** customer service sucks and my credit drops because they can't process a payment. I have two other CAPITAL ONE credit cards and highly recommend them. Stay as far away from Credit One as possible. Will just drop your credit because of their ignorance.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I got a credit card form them last year, with an authorized user (my wife). I never used the card, got a bill for $26 for annual fee and authorized user charge! After paying it, and never using the card, I called them and told them that I wasn't interested in the fees or the card. Cancelled it, they said that they would prorate and refund the money. This was 6-8 months ago. They still haven't given me the money and it appears that they will not. It isn't the $ amount, it is the principle of the matter. They are crooks and I highly recommend AVOIDING THEM IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I got this credit card in October 2018, attempting to build my credit. The 3 times I attempted to pay the full account balance on my account the payment gets returned and the card gets suspended. My bank has no records of the payments being attempted, their Reps called bank to verify funds available & the account information. Last month I paid $50 using the same account info and that payment went through fine. I'm convinced they are not processing payments so they can charge more fees.

Original review: March 1, 2019

This bank is a total and complete rip off in my opinion. I signed up for a credit card with them and 7 times out of 10 when I attempt to pay my bill online their system is either down or they have without my permission added some random deposit to my account. If they add a random deposit you then have to find this deposit amount and verify the amount in the system. Until you do this it will not let you pay your due balance. Problem is sometimes the amount has not posted in your bank account yet, therefore you cannot verify it. Therefore you are then late making a payment. Then they slap you with a late fee.

Even if the system is just down and a representative walks you through online to pay your bill and realizes that it is TOTALLY CREDIT ONE'S system that is down they will offer to let you pay it via phone for a fee. Really a fee??? I was so irate that they waived the fee after me being on the phone with them for a half hour and speaking to 3 people. This should not be. They are HORRIBLE! DO NOT accept any credit card offer from this bank, even under any circumstances!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My payment was due on February 26th. I paid my bill on February 26th. Expedited the payment so that it would be posted. Paid $9.90 to do so. All day I was trying to post it on the internet on their payment portal which was not working. When I finally was able to call them I paid my payment. I expedite my payment. I look at my account this morning and they charged me a $25 late fee on top of the fee to expedite my payment so I wouldn't get a late fee. They are committing fraud to tell me if I expedited the payment I wouldn't get a late fee and then to turn around and give me a late fee when I paid the payment on the due date. This company is out to take people's money and I feel that as a consumer something needs to be done about this.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Do not apply for this card (biggest mistake ever... when you want a credit increase you have to pay for it ($24.95) and it's only $150.00. When you check your credit score, they give you the lowest score they can (their score 540) everybody else 670!! Finance charges 24.99 percent, and they have 5 contact numbers for customer service, and with none of them can you reach a real "live" person, which means if you want to cancel it, you have to figure out how to reach them (no phone contact or email contact to reach customer service). Everything you reach is automated service (pushing 0 just starts it over again). Run from this piece of crap, and save yourself a lot of hatred for this card!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I work as a bookkeeper at a vehicle dealership with a separate service center. This card is the one we got for the service center. It literally takes 3-4 days for authorizations to post as actual transactions. Then you make a payment through a website that does not work more than it does, and then it takes another 5-6 days for those funds (that have long cleared your checking account) to be available for use. To remedy that, I sent in several payments ranging from $300-$1000 to the payment address and those payments cleared our checking account yet the card is getting declined. We have almost a $3000 credit balance plus available credit and the card is yet again getting declined. Our shop manager ended up getting declined at several vendors and I spent an hour on the phone with their so called customer service.

They are VERY nice on the phone, but please STOP apologizing for the 'unfortunate situation', just confirm the charges are legit and allow us to use the card. I have been transferred to several departments, to their fraud department, verified payments mailed in, verified ALL our vendors that are authorized to charge the card, authorized users, spoke to supervisors and still nothing. So currently we are overpaid by $3000 and are not allowed to use the card. The CSR told me it was because the 2 large payments take 5-6 days to clear. (They cleared the checking account the day after the pmts were received). It makes no sense. They cannot explain WHY the card is getting declined. She said there is a lot of fraudulent charges coming from Autozone. Steer clear from this.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

This is not the first time I've seen this but the website is unusable. I was trying to make a payment and verify my deposits into my checking account to make that payment. There is no human to call, just a completely automated line. This is scary to think my credit info is in their hands.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have had a credit card with this company for some time. I rarely use it. I noticed that there were large monthly fees and a high interest rate on the balance. Last night I decided to pay the balance in full. That transaction went through. Then I told the person on the phone that I wanted to close the account. She did that (as far as I know). Then she said they were going to issue a charge off on my account. I had to look up the term after the call. It means they are writing off a balance owed because they are unable to collect. At the time she issued this, I owed nothing. This strikes me as “punishment” for closing the account. I read that a charge off you record lasts 7 years! I think there should be some sort of punishment for a company that decides to damage your credit rating out of spite! Stay far, far away from this vindictive company!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I’m so disappointed with this credit card company. Years ago my ex husband opened up a credit card under my maiden name after we broke up and charged whatever he wanted. When I received the bill I was in total shock because I didn’t open up a credit card with this company. I called them and reported it was fraud that my ex had opened it up under my name. Few days later I received a letter with my ex’s info, his cell phone number that it was opened up with, who the phone was registered under which was someone else. Even though my name did not come up in this evidence they still did not take it off or close the account. Now these charges are still on my credit. I have no words, very upsetting, so upsetting. I guess anyone can open up a credit card online and use it. Thanks for ruining my credit Credit One!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I called Credit One twice since January for reasons why denial. Each time speaking with someone, they couldn't tell me exactly why and to expect something in writing. It's been almost two months now!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Never again will I fall for another bootleg credit card company. They are Capital One wanna bes and are doing a horrible job at it from day one. They block all your transactions. No matter where you go every transaction will be declined for no reason then you receive a text asking if it's you Y or N. Text Y then they say you may continue using your card then you swipe again. Declined!!! Call them. They say they fixed it. Wait 15 minutes. You wait 15 minutes then swipe again. Declined!!! Check available balance. Clear as daylight $500 make a payment $200 don't be available until a full week later and not the entire $200.

Only $50 every week is released then out of nowhere your card is not working again no matter what you try so you call they foreign non customer service having selves only for them to tell you they have blocked your card until you send in driver's license and proof of residence. No email option, fax or mail only. Sends fax, calls them back to have it validated and unblocked only to be told 7 to 10 business days.

Worst company ever!!! Don't do it. Don't do it. Trust me. You will regret it every day of your life. High blood pressure and all. Getting declined everywhere is embarrassing by itself. Credit One is a hot mess and should be shut down for non business for good. Horrible horrible horrible. The worst company ever!!! Wish I could give no stars but of course to post you have to select at least one star so just know Credit One rating is zero stars!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I got a Credit One cc to bnb help with my credit. Never have missed a payment and have no issues until this last January. I have an Amazon Prime membership and when they went to take out the annual fee it was declined. I received emails and texts to see if I authorized the transaction. I reported yes and they made me call. Even though this has been authorized via text, email and over the phone BY ME this transaction still is getting declined and my account suspended. They keep telling me to let Amazon know to put it back through because they have put an exception for it but it never goes through.

I have been on the phone with customer service (regular, supervisors and top managers) at least twice a week since the beginning of January and nothing is taken care of. My fee they charge still comes out every month yet 99% of the time I cannot use my account and obviously cannot pay Bills or memberships with it. I plan on paying off balance and canceling. This company is HORRIBLE!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was pre-qualified for this card and tried several times as the annual fee would vary from $75 first year (then $99 year after) to $39. When I saw the $39 flat rate I decided to submit my application. I was then denied due to 'We found unusual activity'. I called them right away to verify it was me who submitted the application and they said there is nothing they can do and I should reapply from a secured computer on a secured network. I am using my home laptop (2018 Apple MacBook Pro) on my home network and never had an issue.

I asked to speak to fraud department and was placed with supervisor and she said the decision is computer generated and she cannot make any adjustments regardless if I verified. What's the purpose of a fraud department if they can't even have the ability to adjust and verify information? What a BS excuse to deny an application. Possibly the worst experience I ever had with a credit application.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Pure trash! Every time I would either use the card or make a payment my account would get suspended. Then had to wait to get my account unlocked. Now I have a derogatory mark on my credit cause I needed to get away from them. There is a special place in hell for companies like this. People want to build credit not ruin it.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My experience has been very unpleasant. They have close my account without consulting. I still have a balance and credit available and was making my payments regularly and without any notification as email, phone calls or regular mail they just close my account. I think they do not care about the client's loyalty. They simply close your account without prior authorization or consultation with customers. They should notify their customer before making those decisions. Now they do not want to reopen my account nor open a new one and still I have to make payments to the account closed.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Honestly, I will admit that I made a few mistakes early in life. Like most, I tried to find ways to get by and ended up with this lovely card. The fees are ridiculous, customer service stinks (as others have mentioned have individuals with think accents which makes it hard to understand). I just closed my account, but I am getting daily emails trying to get me to come back. I also think that I may have overpaid on my final balance but I am afraid to log in as the last email I received from them, (just minutes ago) said that it I login again before 2/27/19 that they will reactivate my account!!! Gah!! Do not get an account with Credit One! Go move back in with your parents, do not get this card!

Credit One Bank Company Information