1.13/5
  • 1 star
Based on 147 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 11, 2017

1173 Credit One Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

You can't get in touch with them most of the time. And you can't email them or do an online chat with them. They sometimes answer when you call but sometimes not even a recording, it just rings. Something definitely wrong with this company. The customer service representatives don't even sound trained.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have had a Credit One Visa for 2 years. I started with a 250 credit limit. I immediately up an online account which was challenging. Upon successfully completing the setup I linked my bank account. This was all in the first 2 days of being approved. I have been using and paying the bill online since approval and to date have had 1 issue with their site being down. I always pay early so this was not a problem, I was still able to pay by the due date. After about 4 months I received a modest Credit increase, then another in a few more months, and again several months later. At some point the yearly fee was changed to a monthly fee which almost made me late as I had a zero balance but was charged the monthly fee that I was unaware of.

I then accepted a Mastercard from them as well. It was easy to link to the online account already set up so all went smooth. They somehow added credit protection to this account without my knowledge which I still haven't been able to remove. That is more me not taking the time to sit and figure out how to remove it. I had one other card at the time a Capital One and a 570 credit score. In the 2 years since I have raised my score to 780 and now carry just over 40k of available credit. Yet Credit one still only gave me an increase to 1300. The only reason I still use Credit One is the effect of closing the 2nd and 3rd oldest recent accounts on my credit. I was thankful to even get a card at the time and it really helped me build my credit back up. Just be diligent about paying early and it could work for you also.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I am absolutely not able to speak with anyone from the company. There are 7 numbers listed, and none of them ever being answered. No email whatsoever. What's wrong with simple communication with the customers!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

There is no need for me to write a review, read the reviews that have been posted and believe them. To add it is the only credit card company that does not accept automatic payments (RED FLAG) and you cannot contact via email (another red flag) most likely so there is no Text/paper trail to any communication. I cannot believe that there has not been a lawsuit filed against this company. I’m sure the lawyer would be able to make some money. I have been trying to contact them for 2 days to close my account, website shows 6 different phone numbers and called all 6. Got the same menu choice on all 6 and not able to get a real person. I understand it was Friday and now Saturday but "customer service" list available hours, maybe the two employees are out to lunch?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

My husband had applied for this card about 2 years ago when we recently moved to a new state knowing we would need a few essentials before his first paycheck. I kept receipts as I do for everything for taxes, and my own records. I attempted several times to set up online account access as to make it easier, and even called their customer service line SEVERAL times to assist in this process, but to no avail. I gave up and chose to wait for my paper statement in the mail... NO SUCH LUCK THERE EITHER. I would pay weekly on the card for what my receipts said I charged. When my husband's job came close to ending, about 6 months after receiving the card, I called and updated the address to mother-in-laws back home. After that move, and one more a month later, we still had not received a bill.

In March of this year, my husband had received papers via the local sheriff's office. Credit One had served my husband in order to get fees from the card upwards of $1100. I contacted the agency handling the case and explained the situation and had asked for paper statements from their client. Within 3 days, much to my surprise I had received some of them. I then contacted the credit card company asking how they ensure that the statements were sent out for those who opted into paper statements like we had. I was informed they are computer generated and mailed, but not checked or verified to actually be sent out by a live person. I took a few days to go over the statements and contract they so willing sent of their own accord. In the contract it states that they’re obligated to ensure we the consumer can access our statements either electronically, or with paper billing.

(Upon the first billing cycle of not receiving a paper statement, they had broke their own contract.) I was able to account for what was spent and paid off on the card, highlighting and all made copies and wrote out a letter explaining we had no issues paying what we charged and showing them where we had attempted to pay even without receiving a bill. I sent it back through the courts and waited a few days. I then called to ensure they had received it, which it had been filed and that the judge was not accepting it. I then informed them that I have full financial power of attorney for my husband.

The courts were not changing the ruling. I decided to go back through the statements, in which the dates and the several addresses that were on them didn't match up. I called the attorney's back, and explained this and informed them that I had rental agreements as proof and still offered to settle out of court for double what we charged. Still no word back. Now today another sheriff served my father another set of papers with a court date in January 2018. I intend on getting a lawyer and fighting them. This company are scam artists, DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS CARD!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit One Bank?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Cancelled account with balance. As soon as you cancel account you can not pay online. Must mail in payment or pay by phone with an additional 9.95 charge. Not explained when you open account. Very hard to cancel account. Would not deal with this company for anything.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I'm a customer. I'm a Credit One. I'm so disappointed to you. You guys are the worst one and is worse company of business card customer service online service. I give or I don't know how you guys couple years after. What is a problem after problem you guys don't result anything. Always charging me money for everything. Thank you for nothing. This is my rating. You are the worst one. You are the worst one.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have tried to pay my bill on their website since I have had this card. I pay almost ALL of my bill online. You can't pay on their site! I have changed my password and username several times- no luck. I call them- you can't get a person. They want to charge you a fee to pay through their automated system. NO real person = no one to grant you a free way to pay by phone. I wish I had researched this bank ahead of time. I am going to get rid of this thorn in my side. So that is why I am posting this. I don't want others to go through what I go through each month. This is a horrible credit card.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

THIS CARD IS BAD NEWS! From the beginning I have had so many problems. Making a payment is crap. They said payment accepted to find out later they rejected it and did not notify me so while I'm think payment done it was rejected. Then by the time I make another payment it was late and the sites are always down or suppressed??? I HAD TO GO TO MY BANK and get a letter that they were actually my bank and send it in the mail before they unfroze my account. They wouldnt let me make a payment over the phone. They just said I have to verify my bank and until they receive it in the mail they cant process my payment. They also want to charge for taking a payment. They charge $100.00 annually for a card without you knowing. I was trying to rebuild my credit and this card is actually dropping it. I was also warned it will lower my score if I close it. THIS CARD IS A FRAUD!!! RUN RUN RUN!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Horrible service... Garbage bank. My credits score decreased up to 40 points just for opening account with this bank. I have applied credit card to make good credit score but while opening the account they do hard inquiries which affect on credit scores (TransUnion: 40, Equifax: 46). Moreover, this GARBAGE BANK charge $75 for their horrible services.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

When my mom first got her card, she hadn't used it yet and we were in the grocery store walking around when she began receiving phone calls. She finally answered it and talked to a woman for about 10 minutes with the woman telling her that her payment was past due and she needed to make a payment over the phone. When I found out what was going on I told my mom to hang up as I remembered that she had received mail from them the day before which happened to be her bill. She ended up getting off the phone and not even two minutes later the same woman called back and kept telling her the same thing. When we got home I got my mom's mail from the day before which had the envelope in it and when we opened it, it showed her payment wasn't due for another 2 weeks.

I got one not long after that and every time I make a payment and don't use my card for the month then get back online the next month to make a payment I only had 3 or 4 dollars on my card even though I made a 25 dollar payment the month before and never used it. Once taxes come in this time we're paying the cards off and canceling them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I rate Credit One Bank less than one star. They will scam you out of money and charge you a monthly and annual fee even if you never use the card. So in the long run it ended up hurting my credit score instead of helping it. I had no idea I had two separate accounts and had a late fee. So needless to say paid what I owed which was ridiculous and cancelled all accounts with this scam of a bank. You're better off not having any credit cards than having one with this outfit. Beware!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

It is not good at all or transparent this card or bank. Listed several of its many deficiencies: 1- You are going to pay and they ask you for a charge to post your payments before or free and it takes 6 days... 2- For the increase of the credit they invent a rate of what they want... 3- Charge a charge of 60 usd for the mobile app and to top it off if they have annual payment and if something happens to you the payment in one day they burn the phone in calls. I do not recommend it at all, I give a star because there is no other, so it costs me what it costs me in my credit. I close it.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I am going to stick with the facts of my issues and concerns with the Credit One Bank. On Monday, October 16, 2017 I received an email from Credit One confirming the address change to my account. Red flags, I didn't make any changes. I immediately called into Credit One Bank told them about my email I received and the address change. The representative started to review my file, she looked into a few things and also went through my charges. She indicated someone called in over the weekend and made the address change. I immediately said, "It was not me", she didn't provide me with the new address but indicated she would place a hold on my account and I needed to verify with my family member who is also on the account. I made a quick call and verified there were no changes made by us and called back and talked to another representative who went into a little more detail.

She said the address was changed to a PA address, I indicated I had NEVER lived in PA and only in MN. She deactivated my cards, updated the address and said she would send out new cards for both my Visa and MC account. It would take 7-10 days. And she would remove any charges for needing duplicate cards (Which I told her I would not pay for.) On Thursday, October 26, 2017 (10 days later) I receive in the mail two documents from Credit One. I put them aside and finally opened on Friday, October 27, 2017. The letters were dated on Wednesday, October 18, 2017, two days after I cancelled my cards AND updated my address, they once again changed my address back to the PA address.

I logged onto my Credit One account and was SHOCKED to see over $1000.00 of charges on my account. My old card was deactivated and I hadn't received my new cards yet. Sure enough even after I called in and changed my address, canceled my cards, Credit One once again changed my address back to a fraudulent address AND sent them my new cards AND activated it for them. I asked them why they would change it back when they asked me back on October 16 if I had ever lived in PA. They didn't have an answer and did say Credit One made the errors. The charges occurred under my MC account. I asked them to review my VISA account.

The representative from Credit One wanted to verify some information, I started with last 4 of SSN and then was asked for my address, I gave them my correct address, in MN. He said I need your prior address, I said, I have lived here 3 years, I don't have a prior address with you, he said you changed the address 2 weeks ago. My response "Are you kidding me!?? Are you talking about the address in pa, which isn't mine but the individuals who stole it, their address?" He said "Yes, what is your address" I am completely dumbfounded at this point. No charges were made yet, (except for charges for me to order new cards) and the card had not been activated, I told them to cancel the card, DO NOT ACTIVATE IT and send me new ones to my CORRECT address and remove all charges for new cards, I WILL NOT pay for them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

10.27.2017 it is now 11:41 AM. I have called this business over 4 times. Every single call was a new answer. The Bill is due the 24th. I had attempted to make online payment 10.23.2017 but was returned to "insufficient funds" (which I have my statements and is inaccurate on their end). But ever since August when they tried to "verify" my bank card that I have been paying with since I FIRST got this card over 2 years ago their "small deposits" were not going through to my bank (I never have this issue with any other credit cards I have or any issues with my bank). The 25th was not my first time calling in and making an over the phone payment. When I do complain they wave the fee. You would think ever since they've been "trying to verify" my account they would notice something on their end was wrong or they would try to fix the situation instead of just trying to avoid it.

Anyhow, on 10.25 I called was on the phone with the their "supervisor" (a title thrown around loosely there). She had waived the "late fee" and waved the over the phone payment fee and waved the previous months late fee (since it was the same situation last month) NEVER INFORMED ME OF ANY DELINQUENCY ON THE ACCOUNT OR INFORMED ME MY ACCOUNT WAS TO BE SUSPENDED. 10.27 I check my email and I have an email saying someone has changed information on my account that if it wasn't me to call (email and phone numbers) I call and they said they had made the changes and "temporarily suspended my account" due to too many "insufficient fund payments".

Two insufficient payments that is their own system's fault because every time I make a payment OVER THE PHONE it goes through with NO PROBLEM but if I use their online system to make a payment all the sudden it's "insufficient funds" come one. They want their late payment fees. I have informed them of this problem since August. Meanwhile I've been in contact with this bank numerous amounts of times since August when they kept trying to "Verify" my bank account with their "small deposits". Every time I went to make a payment online after this verification didn't work it would override my payment and keep telling me to verify their small deposits!!!

I call today they want me to send them transaction verification from my bank because they had closed my account that this would not hurt my credit. After the 4th time calling them back today I was connected with a supervisor in the Investigations unit who was extremely rude and did not take into consideration everything I have been telling her that has been happening since August. I don't care if they needed to freeze the account I just didn't need my credit score to be affected by something that is THEIR fault. The best part is the "Investigator" told me there would be NO CHANCE my account could reopen that I could try and send in the statements for review but it is not guaranteed and that I am out of luck because they are going to report this to my credit.

I told the "Investigator" that maybe she should do her job and review all the previous phone calls I have placed since August about the small deposits and about not being able to pay this account online. Credit One Bank is SHADY and they're just trying to play anyone anyway possible. If there's a way to prevent this from my credit report please let me know.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

This is the only credit card account that I have out of 8 that charges $25.00 or even a fee at all for a card replacement after a name change (mine being due to divorce). That seems absurd to me. I would understand if it was because I lost the card or it was damaged due to my error but not for a name change.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I received my Credit One card in August. I used my card the same day and was declined so I called. They told me I had a fraud alert and I needed to send my ID and As number in. I did just what they asked and now when I call they never have my information. I don't believe them. Before I was approved they already needed further information. I'm going to call fraud department today and I'm not getting off the phone until someone give me answers to why is my card still locked.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

One day I started getting calls from my vendor stating that my payments were not going through, as I use this card for my business and advertising. I went to log into my account and was not able to. I called the horrible customer service line for help. They would not listen to my story. They stated my account was blocked because hackers tried to pay my balance back up and it was declined too many times. With a completely different account than I have ever used or a checking account from a different person. My account was disabled, not because it was hacked, but because hackers "tried" to pay my card balance back up with another stolen card too many times.

After asking for a supervisor and disconnected, I called back. The next person, ruder than the last, did some digging for me and turns out that the hackers called them up and changed my address online. They did not even have to use my password that I had set up. They were able to do this over the phone, all the while I have a password for my account specific for this reason! They completely disregarded the fact that I #1 had a password and #2 was not paying from an account from a complete stranger when there was not other users qualified to use my account.

So I cancel my account and get a new card. I asked for an immediate credit because the company that they tried to purchase products from even admitted that it was fraud, but did not ship the orders. It made no sense to me that they did not ship the product, yet my card was still charged the $576.00 on it and it will remain on there until I sign an affidavit.

At this point, it will take up to 90 days to get my credit back. If that is not bad enough, I went to pay some of the balance so I can use the new card and continue my advertising and business practice. THEY WOULD NOT LET ME! The hackers tried to pay 4 times in the last 30 days, and that is their limit. The 4th customer service person that I spoke to, 3 days later STILL did not ask me my password when I was speaking with them, just wanted my social security number. AVOID THIS COMPANY! Not one person that I spoke to was genuine or even cared. Not one person that I spoke with actually wanted to help. They apologized a lot and 2 people could not understand my English, which is my primary language.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

They say no annual fee, but it's not true, it's $100. Charge lots of fees, horrible customer service, never increase credit even though you've made every payment and pay off balances. Unless you HAVE to get this card, I don't recommend it. It only helps your credit if you only use 30% of the entire amount available and you pay it off every month.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

After dealing with Hurricane Irma in Florida we called Credit One Bank on September 30th, 4:06 pm to request a grace period for extension of payments as we had loss of power for 2 weeks resulting in income disruption and unexpected costs. On that day a Credit One Bank representative told us that the company will allow for a grace period and that no payment will need to be made until November 9th and no late fees will be added.

Unfortunately, for the past week we have been getting harassing phone calls, today we spoke with Credit One Bank who told us they assessed a late fee and we must pay now in full. When we asked about their system notes the rep said they have no record of our conversation of September 30, 2017. Be wary with this company. They do not honor their word, they do not recognize that people in disasters have legitimate need for help nor seemingly are efficient in documenting. Credit One Bank is a terribly bad company towards consumers.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Never had any issues until today to pay my bill online. Called the toll free number to speak with a "incompetent agent" who could barely speak English. Had to give this person all my info, ss #, mailing address, might as well say my DNA. Long story short, I advised the agent, "I can't make a payment online today since your website is down." "Well it's up on our end." What a complete lie. My husband works in IT and he couldn't even access it from his end. Then I contacted my girlfriend who lives in Orlando, FL and she had the same issues. The agent said, "We can allow you to make a payment on the phone, but you need to pay a $10 fee for this option." Said, "I shouldn't have to pay anything, zero, nada, since your website is down." I hung up and will check back tomorrow to see if website is up. Very disappointed with the service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I made a payment on my account in the amount of $375.41. I made this payment on October 5, 2017. Today is October 15, 2017 and I still do not have access to my funds. The company Blocked my card because they said I made a large payment. Now on the same day I made a payment to my Capital One credit card in the amount of $525.75 and didn't have any problems, my funds were available the very next day. Credit One always told I have to get a letter sign and dated from the bank showing I made a payment on Thursday. Please do not use them as a credit card company, consider using ANYBODY BUT CREDIT ONE BANK CARD.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I received this offer in September and was granted a card with $300 limit. Which is fine as I am rebuilding my credit. I used the card and decided to make a payment shortly a week later. I used the express pay option, using my checking account on October 2nd. The funds came out of my account on October 4th. On October 3rd I saw some of the funds were available. On October 6th I attempted to check my account to see if the remaining funds were available and received a message that my account had been temporarily suspended. I contacted customer service and was informed that I needed to send a bank verification letter. I initially agreed and asked for the name of the person, the department I was sending it to and the fax number. I was told a fax number and to send attention customer service and that my information wasn't going to anyone in particular.

I then stated that I would not send my banking information to a general fax machine, where anyone has access. I then asked why they needed it and I was told that because I used my checking account they needed to verify it was my banking information. It's not that they blocked my access to use the card as I have other cards, but they literally blocked my ability to see my account. It is now 11 days later, they received their funds and my account is still suspended. My bank did not alert them there was a concern with fraudulent activity, they are now saying this is standard practice for Credit One. It is fine if this is their practice when customers use their checking account to pay, however customers should be informed PRIOR to making a payment that even though the check clears, and they receive their funds, the customer's account will be suspended and the customer will no longer have access to see their account or to use the credit card.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

After not being able to log on to their website I resorted to making my payments over the phone. They required 10.00 dollars more for a fee. When I lost my credit card they required a 30 Fee to replace. I closed my account on May 2017. Continued to make payments, after making my final payment on Oct 3, 2017 of 79.49 I had called them the day before to make sure there will be no late charge for being a day late otherwise I would be glad to pay 10.00 processing fee. They said, "Your account is closed. There will be no fee." Payment was made. Account should have been closed. Now they say there is a 25.00 late fee owed and annual fee owed. And refuse to close account.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Very frustrating. Every time call to get answers to charges does not belong me and everyday I have been calling, every time I called at least 45 minutes. They will put me on hold. They cannot answer to my questions. However, if payment is late they're very quick to call.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I can't access their website and now their app no longer works. It always times out. When I call them, they tell me I have to pay a fee to pay by phone. At their behest, I went paperless. So now I have to pay $10 to pay my bill by phone. Because their online and digital platforms don't work, it's my only option. They are scamming their customers!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Worse credit card company EVER! I recommend Not even my worse enemy to get this card. Made a payment on my account 9/21. 4 days later went to login to my account and found out it was temporally suspend. Called to find out telling me they need a letter proving it was me who made the payment, today is now 10/3 and my card has still yet to be able to use. Mind you I paid $200 for it and the extra to come out the next day. When I call customer service to speak to a manager he cant tell me why the bank (them) would do that?! Bottom line if you're thinking about getting this card save YOURSELF and the frustration. Their customer service sucks also. Not very servicey.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have had the worst experience dealing with this company. I have had their card for over a year. I have always paid on time and even paid the card off on several occasions using the online phone app. About 45 days, I went to the online app to make my payment and noticed that my Visa card wasn't visible anymore. So I paid my MC bill then called to inquire about the Visa. The CSR on the phone informed me that my card had a fraudulent alert placed on it. I asked for details, they refused to expound and treated me like I was crook. The CSR told me to send them a copy of my Driver's License, Social Security Card, and any bill that displayed my address as long as it matched the address on my driver's license. I mailed these items to PO 98873, Las Vegas, NV 89193 as requested and waited 2 business weeks to be contacted by phone or mail. I never received any communication so I called to inquire.

The CSR informed me that she had limited system access and apologized because she couldn't help me. I called back a couple of days later to inquire again, I was informed the same thing and that the data I sent to Vegas was being handled by that office. I had to continue to wait until the system updated. I become even more frustrated, at this point my bill coming due again and I do not have any online visibility nor am I getting any bills in the mail. So I called back to inform them of this, the CSR gave me the amount over the phone, I instructed her I needed a bill sent to me so I can pay it and see what's going on with my account. Then I received notification that my card has been deactivated and closed by them because of card abuse.

CARD ABUSE! They refused to send me a bill. At this point I have lost all faith in this company and certainly wasn't going to take their word for it. As far as I know, they are the FRAUDSTERS! Weeks went by up until this morning, they called me for a payment. REALLY! I have yet to receive an invoice via mail. After 3 transfers and 20 minutes of being placed on hold while I am at work, I get Winston who informs me that now they need me to send a utility bill with my address.

This is crazy to me. I still have MC with them that can be used to validate data for whatever reason. It's been 30 days and they are just not informing me of status and that additional data is needed. Now I have to wait another month before it's resolved! BTW, I was informed they are still charging me late fees and other charges but I never received the bill I've been requested. I HIGHLY recommend CAPITAL ONE to anyone that's looking for a credit card. CREDIT ONE has HORRIBLE Customer Service and loads you up with unnecessary fees. It takes them months to resolve a simple issue THEY created but it's MY FAULT. They do not mind inconveniencing their customers for nonsense! Angry Customer!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

First, I have no account with Credit One Bank but they have called me 13 times in the last 4 days. I have received several applications in the mail recently from them which I ignored so they proceeded with continual annoying calls. I don't know how they got my cell phone and other info but I am one of the people breached by Equifax so I suspect Credit One is in on that deal. I checked my credit report and it shows no inquiry from this company so they must have got info illegitimately. Now here is the most frustrating part. Since they called from same number 7 times in 24 hours, I blocked the number. I refuse to answer any number I don't recognize. I will call the number back to see who it is.

After I blocked their first number, I received 6 calls from 4 different numbers. I called all 4 and recording said, “Welcome to Credit One Bank.” They must have an endless list of numbers they use to call from so that you cannot possibly block all of them because if you do, they just use a different number. I am glad I did not fall for the application they sent in mail and give them any more of my info as that would have been an even worse nightmare. I am just writing this to warn others and hoping Consumer Affairs can find out who is behind this scam that pretends to be a legitimate bank but is really some scammers in some other country unfortunately preying on innocent people all over the world. I feel sorry for those who do have account with them. I can just ignore the calls that constantly disrupt my life but these people may never be rid of them indicated by the number of negative reviews.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Unexpectedly, Credit One Bank on 09/20/2017, decided in the middle of the billing period to change my MasterCard number. The billing period for my MC closed on 9/4. I had an extremely low balance of 2%. The problem that I have with this is, instead of changing the card number, they transferred the entire balance to a brand new account, with no notice so that I could pay the balance since they reported the new account's balance. I went in on 09/21/2017 to make a routine payment and found this out. I also have a Visa account that they did not change out due to the Equifax breach even though they both report to all the Credit Bureaus. The dropped my hard earned credit score from 732 to 662. I went from a Good credit risk to a Fair credit risk through no fault of my own OVERNIGHT. I literally was going to apply with my Bank for a new car loan today. I am hereby and officially screwed for about another month now. Thanks C1B!

Credit One Bank Company Information