1.14/5
Based on 349 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Credit One Bank

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

2185 Credit One Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I have tried to cancel this card for 8 months. I basically used the card once when I first received it--- er that I never used it. Had it just as an extra emergency card. They kept charging me fees- double billing cycles. When I tried to cancel the first time they basically blackmailed me with - "You won't have to pay the high fee if you keep your card." It was so frustrating. Still never used the card. After 7 months they charged me a fee again. I called and after 30 minutes of arguing they finally cancelled my card --- I hope --- I just got off the phone with them!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I asked for a credit increase. They denied me based on the following information credit amount, and too many current credit inquiries but they tell you that they will look at your paying standing with them. If I would known this I would have not have gotten this card.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I requested this Credit One credit card on the advice of Credit Karma as it was suggested it would increase my credit score. The initial card fee was $35.00 and then the first billing they charged $70.00 bogus fees and I had not even purchased anything. I called the company and they gave me a very hard time trying to close the account, I had to speak to four different people and I told them I would be placing a formal complaint against them. At this point the account is still not closed. I have also advised Credit Karma they are giving bad advice to consumers.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I had a Credit One card from July 2017 to January 2018. I never had any problems with payments, etc. Card was always paid on time and payment posted to my account within a day or so. I decided to pay my balance in full last month and close my account. After my payment posted, I received notification that they added a credit to my account. It was half of the annual fee back since I didn't keep my card a full year. I called and they said they will be sending a check to me for my refund. A month later, NOTHING!!! I have called twice. The people speak horrible English. The first person hung up on me, and the second one pretended to check on my check for me and placed me on hold... After being on hold for 20 minutes I hung up. This is the worst company ever. I want my money back but they are thieves.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I just got the card in the mail on Saturday, Feb 17th. My husband is disabled and I am his unpaid caregiver. I needed to pick up prescriptions and pay medical bills. My credit limit was $300.00. I just called today to find out my due date. They told me it was yesterday (Monday, Feb. 19th), and I am over limit. It seems there was a $75.00 annual fee taken off the top of my available credit. So now I am over limit and late 3 days after I received the card. I got this card to help me out, but now I just have more problems. SMH.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit One Bank?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I will be filing a lawsuit based on their illegal activity of double cycle billing. I opened this account in Dec 2017 basically for my son to have a card if needed when not with me. I paid the Dec, opening account balance prior to the due date in Jan. I paid the Jan balance on Feb 5, prior to the Feb 13 due date yet, they still charged interest for Jan charges. I called today to cancel the card, same issue as everyone else on here with them not wanting to cancel card. Finally the supervisor after arguing with him for 23 minutes said he would close the card. Then I log on to pay the balance off which the due date for is not until March 13 and it tells me that I am not allowed to make a payment at this time as I have made four payments in a 30 day period, which I have not done.

Now, they are charging me interest on the balance which I am trying to pay off and they are refusing to accept payment. $52.12 of that balance was reported as a fraudulent charge on Feb 15 that they refuse to remove. Clearly illegal practices. Federally law states "Finance charges on outstanding credit card balances must now be computed based on purchases made in the current cycle rather than going back to the previous billing cycle to calculate interest charges. So-called two-cycle or double-cycle billing hurts consumers who pay off their balances, because they are hit with finance charges from the previous cycle even though they have paid the bill in full."

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I opened this card cause my credit was down. Now I want to close it. Sounds from this site that you need to talk to BBB. I will do this tomorrow. You try to do the right thing and you get screwed. I see a long road ahead. Thank you to people who have opened my blind eyes. My credit sucks as it is from ID theft. I feel I should give up. But NO. I will fight. This is America. This company is legal???

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I should never have opened account with this company, just like other complaints on here I had trouble closing my account. They would keep harassing me with phone calls if I missed payment. Funny thing is I sent out REGULAR payment, and they said they have not received my payment. (Which I sent it out a week before.) Then they told me that regular payment takes not 7 days but 7-10 business day. What a joke, it seems like they want that $9.95 fee so you use express pay. Garbage company.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018 I thought this company was the more reputable credit card company but it is not. The names are very similar! I have been having issues for weeks trying to pay online. I call and get someone with a very heavy accent which tells me the call center is not in the USA. I also see why there is no email address to contact the company directly. But I do know this, it is illegal to intentionally flaw your website, cause the consumer to have late fees - ILLEGAL! And I will be writing them.

Ironically after I told the representative that I felt I was being scammed (after multiple calls to the company & talking with different reps) they finally fixed my online access. After reading the reviews I will no longer make a credit card payment online. I will mail it in!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Credit One Card created 2 types of payments: Express Payment with a $9.95 fee. Standard Payment: Customers can pay by debit card or credit card and it takes 7 days for this type of payment to be credited??? This is the way to rip off customers since any payment by Credit card or debit card do not take 7 days to be credited?? I will close my account soon with this ripoff businesses.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Online would never work so I could make a payment. Now I'm in collections since payment never got there on time. Late fee after late fee I'm on a fixed income couldn't afford. It so now I'm screwed in collections.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I called to close my account with Credit One on 1/26/18. I asked that they give me confirmation upon closure of my account with them...they refused. They said they don’t give out confirmation or reference numbers. I told him I needed something in writing but he kept putting me on hold a couple of times to come back with the same answer. It was a real waste of my time as I spent an hour arguing back and forth with him and telling him I know my rights as a consumer. The guy I was speaking to said his name was “Jeffrey” (hmmm...he was speaking really fast and it was hard to understand him as he sounded foreign without good English speaking skills). I asked him to slowly spell his name...he spelled it as I spelled it above. I am lost for words.

The day after I closed my account, a new cardholder agreement came up under my profile on their app. I took a screenshot of it. It said it was posted 1/30/18...but as my screenshot showed it was on there on 1/27/18 - 3 days before it said it was posted. The higher rate cardholder agreement was added to my account the day after I called them to close my account but it was posted 1/30/18...which wasn’t even that day as it was 3 days ahead. Also they added a yearly fee to my statement and post dated it the day before I closed my account. Sounds like foul play to me!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

It's 2018. This bank operates like it's run by the North Koreans in 1950. This bank operates solely as "No", "No, we have no customer service." "No, we can't do that." "No, we don't do that." "No, we can't help you." And YES, we can charge you up the ass, take your money and treat you like **. Absolutely HATE this company. Hate the way they don't have a simple way to extract the statements to CSV. They don't shake hands with any of the software that manages money, like Quickbooks, or Quicken. I wouldn't be surprised if tattooed to each of their employees is "No, I don't help anyone and customer service is a country far far away, I've never been and never want to go." This is the WORST credit card to own.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I got this card at a stressful point in my life, and thought it was another bank. I have had similar experiences to everyone else complaints. I had an annual fee that I knew nothing about. They started charging me monthly without my consent. They offered to increase my credit if I paid them $250 (to which I said "no!") and they just transferred me when I wanted to close my account. I told them I would get an attorney, and then they told me they couldn't close my account until they had a letter from the attorney. I got them to supposedly close it, but they said they wouldn't send me a letter confirming unless they had a letter from an attorney.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and miraculously as soon as they got notice they sent me a letter stating that they had closed my account and that they were removing any late fees. I checked my credit report and it finally showed up as closed. Do not give up with this company. File a report with BBB. Let's not allow them to do this to other people.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Ridiculously high interest card. Charges annual and monthly fees regardless if you have used the card at all. Credit One also conveniently neglects to tell you that they have charged any fees until it becomes late, at which point they call you immediately and several times a day. It's difficult to talk to a person and when you finally do it's some call center in India. When you ask to cancel your card they just start spouting off ** offers to keep it open and will talk over you while doing so. When I finally told them I don't care about their offers and I wanted to cancel my account immediately, they just said it was canceled and then hung up...so now I get to see if it was actually canceled or if they are going to try to charge more ** fees.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I requested a credit card after losing my original. No card was posted to me. However interest and charges for a new card were added to my account. I would like a refund. However there is no way to phone the place to query this matter.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Credit One incorrectly marked a charge as fraudulent on 12/9/17 and has not corrected the error causing a major issue with the merchant. On 11/20/17 I made a purchase for with a vendor using my Credit One credit card. The purchase went through fine. A few days later I realized that also on 11/20 there were 6 other charges made to my Credit One card that were fraudulent. I called Credit One and reported those charges. We discussed the valid purchase made that same day and I said that it was OK and did not report it as fraud.

It took Credit One over two weeks to do anything with these fraudulent charges which left a higher balance on my account, also charging me interest on them and reporting my balance as higher than it should have been, but then on 12/31/17 when Credit One finally did reverse the charges they not only reversed the 6 that I identified but also a 7th charge which was valid.

Reversing this valid charge caused the vendor to block my account. I have called in to the Credit One customer service and fraud departments (two different departments) over 10 times in the past 27 days trying to get them to reverse their error but they have done nothing. I wrote to the CEO of the company as well and am waiting to see if I hear from someone in his office. I heard back from someone within their fraud unit today (3rd time they have called in this 27-day span) and all she communicated was that the investigator is now trying to reach the vendor but cannot reach them on the phone and without reaching them on the phone the matter cannot be resolved unless it goes past 50 days.

This is the first time I have been told that an "investigator" was actually trying to do something about this so at least this is progress. Not really - just being facetious. So now I am being told that a corporation the size of Credit One Bank cannot reach a vendor - and they cannot do anything to resolve this issue that they caused with their error all the way back on 12/31/17. It is now January 25th, 2018 and they have done nothing. Supposedly this error will magically be resolved by them after the 50 days has passed. That deadline is Saturday, January 27th.

Do I actually expect them to resolve it at this time? Highly doubtful as they could have reinstated the charge at any time over the past month and they have failed to do so. All the while my rapport with this vendor and my inability to use what I have purchased from them continues to be blocked. Credit One has done nothing to resolve this. It is wrong. They caused the situation and have failed miserably in correcting it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I opened this card last year and within a week was charged with a 75 dollar annual fee. I hadn't even used the card once. Decided to pay the 75 and was charged yet again just to make the express payment. Otherwise, I would have had to wait a whole week before funds were made towards the account. Decided to call and close my account permanently. One year later I get a call from Credit One stating that I have a past due balance. After speaking on the phone with them for an hour, both on hold, and being transferred back and forth, they were finally able to close my account again. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. To top things off you can’t understand a word any of them are saying. DO NOT open an account with them!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My wife got a letter from this bank offering a credit card and my wife believed that this was from Capital One because its logo is pretty similar. By mistake my wife applied believing that this was Capital One. Next month she got a new letter charging her $75 for a membership that never was notified. Do not be unwary. This is a very fraudulent offer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Credit One Bank is very slow on customer service because of foreign speaking workers. They also at time when you're trying to pay on your account online block your usage. I reported them to IC3 because they want to charge a yearly charge and make you pay a late payment when you don't even own any money on your balance. LifeLock acts stupid when you call them and disconnect you on the phone. Acct: ** ref: http://www.creditonebank.com. Also, sometimes their website is being blocked by foreigners... They want your Social Security number when you get a call from them...

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Impossible to talk to a person. Paid credit card bill, said I was late. Finally found a way to get thru. Late payment was reversed. Was told payment should be made 7 days ahead so it would post. Doesn't make sense because when I schedule a payment it’s always out of my bank the next day. Now they say I'm over my limit, but I'm not. Phone system is down today for service. Don't get this card. I did it to build my credit which it had done in the beginning. Would close it but don't want to hurt my score. Maybe Wells Fargo owns this.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

My sister in law saw a double payment on her account last year. She called them immediately to have one of the payments reversed, and the money returned to her checking account. Simple, right? Ahhh, no. The extra payment was reversed, and the money returned to her. In the meantime, THEY had reported a duplicate payment as fraud (yes, you read that right. A fraudulent PAYMENT). So they closed first account and issued new card, number account and all that.

Then comes today. They debited her Credit One account AGAIN for the returned extra payment. So they have a payment returned for $**, and charged her account for $**. Then today, they debited her Credit One account AGAIN for $**. She got through THREE levels of people, each one more belligerent than the last. Called back one last time to speak somebody above a manager. Got sick of the awful elevator music, and hung up. She told them to cancel her account and she will pay on it to be done with them. I hope she will be.

Now for a word of advice: when you call Credit One Bank and have an option for an oral interaction, keep repeating "customer service agent:" till you get one. If you get one who can't be understood (like most of them) specify one who speaks English as their native language. You WILL eventually get one. Do not be afraid to say some of these things to them: "listen to me", "please do not interrupt" and if all else fails say "STOP" very loudly. It seems to be the only thing some of their customer "service" agents understand. I have two accounts with Credit One bank, so I have had to do this. And currently we are "peacefully coexisting". It can be done. They need to be reminded that we are their lifeblood, and they need to service us, not the other way around.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Buyer BEWARE! This card will charge you to make a payment faster than 7 days and nickel and dimes you to death. There's also no easy way to get a human customer service person for anything. Frankly... I am sorry I ever got this card. Why should I pay an additional $9 to do a 2-day payment processing and why if I pay a few days before my due date am I held up for 7 days then charge a late fee for them holding my payment when it leaves my bank the day after I pay it. This is VERY BAD business.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I paid off my card every month, had them for two years. At the time I had no choice because of a bankruptcy and they took full advantage of that. So the fee was annoying but I needed a card to build my credit so I thought. Not only did they charge that fee, I figured out after researching further I learned they charge interest multiple times a month, they drag their feet on processing fraud charges to ensure they can charge interest on those amounts, they also charge fees on those charges as well. They take over 30 days, actually more like 90 days to put any fraud charges back on your card. I realized that when I was being charged 100's of dollars on my card even with paying them off every month.

Calling their customer service is a joke. You get to speak with someone named Dave or Ryan or Charlie from India, yeah those aren't their real names. They talk over you and said this like, "Listen lady I am trying to help you save your money." Which just infuriated me further considering how much they have been costing me over the two years I had them. When you get your bill without even making a charge they also charge you a $250 connect fee just to activate your card. Like I said they cost me probably well over a $1000 in fees and sneaky charges already. Find other ways to build your credit. This is not the way to go.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

How can a credit card company/bank not have a workable website to make payments to. Their website never loads and they try and force you into calling and making an express payment for $9.95. Can never get through to an actual representative. Automated phone service directs you to a website that DOESN'T WORK.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I had no idea that this credit card was for "high risk" borrowers or those without credit. I am a Canadian living in California and they sent me offer after offer to sign up, and I wanted my own independence from living off of my husband, so I took the bait. I also signed up for paperless billing right away. This company never emailed me a statement in the 3 months I was with them. Therefore, I never thought of them. However, they started calling me incessantly recently, and I took the latest call. They told me I owed $118.93. I told them I had never used the card before, and in a quizzical manner asked how I could possibly owe that. They said this was the activation fee and then subsequent late fees for not paying the activation fee, as well as a fee for the "pretty" design of the card I chose. I told them that they never informed me upon signing up that there were any such fees associated with opening an account.

They told me that I would find this information in the Contract (in other words, it's in the hard-to-find small print). I asked them to cancel my account after I paid the $118. Strangely enough, I can no longer sign into my online account even though I am just now (finally) receiving account notifications from them. Despite closing my account yesterday, I received a "View your January statement!" email, and about an hour later, a "You have a new document posted to your account!". However, I am locked out of their system. I do not trust this company- I feel that this is their way of subtly showing me that I am not officially closed. I feel I will run into more problems with them, so I called my bank (Chase) and had them cancel my debit card and send me a new one to prevent them from dinging my account further. Unbelievable that this company is still around. It's nothing but a scam.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Two years ago I reported my card lost/stolen. They said they would send me a new card, they never did. I repeated the process of calling to report lost/stolen several times. They keep charging me interest and late fees on a card I don't have plus the yearly fee to just have the card. EVERY TIME you call, you wait on hold, get transferred. No one helps. I've had the same conversation with them for TWO YEARS. No idea how I will ever get this card closed or resolved. Seriously. They are the worst experience I've ever had.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Months ago I paid the entire balance on my Credit One Credit Card Account. It has taken months to pay off additional interest and other fees. I have not received any bills in the mail for months but received a call from a representative this weekend advising that I owe over $50.00. No purchases have been made since Nov and those were paid in full. Apparently there was .51 in interest. I now owe them over $60.00. I paid this just to get rid of these legalized CROOKS. Although I closed this account months ago, I am still being charge a monthly fee. My interest rate is 24%. Stay away from Credit One Credit Card Account. How have we allowed banks to do this to the American public? This is an outrage.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Just like all the other reviews. Stay away from this credit card. I have had this card over 3 years and unbeknownst to me another application was submitted using a different address. That account was not opened which is great but they have not blocked my current card for access. They want me to send in documentation when I called them though payments have always been made on time. They are refusing payments over the phone and on my due date will be late because they are saying you have to mail in the payment knowing it’s due today. They are a bunch of thieves and told them to eat the balance. This is how they treat good clients. STAY AWAY from them.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have tried for days to log into their website and it will not open, I have read many other people are having the same problem. I don't know what to do. I just want to pay off my card and close it immediately. They have reported falsely late payments and ruined my credit as well. Something must be done.

Credit One Bank Company Information

www.creditonebank.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use