Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.14/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

2522 Credit One Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was really in the negative comments on this site about Credit One, but I have to say I have never had any issues with that and I’ve been with them for about two years. People have to realize they are a small company and although I don’t necessarily agree with some of their fees they have to charge these fees for the company to grow they are not some huge company like Capital One or Chase. One thing people need to realize is they give credit cards to people with bad credit like myself. After my divorce my credit was ruined and nobody would give me a credit card except Credit One.

My only issue is every time I have called customer service it is someone with a heavy accent that I have a hard time understanding but they’ve always been able to handle my problem. They raise my credit limit out once and did not charge me for the increase. It’s only $450 but I came into this card with really really bad credit. Yes they are expensive yes they charge high interest but all this is explained in their terms and conditions. I love how people accept these terms then start blasting the company or year later like it’s the company‘s fault if you don’t like the term’s donuts up the card if you didn’t read the terms that’s your own fault. I’m happy with Credit One.

Original review: April 4, 2019

When I started to rebuild my credit, Credit One was the third card I applied and was approved for. They started me with a decent credit limit - for someone with very limited credit - of $500. After being with them a little over a year now, no missed or late payments, keeping a fairly high utilization rate, paying more than the minimum each month, and then paying it completely off with my taxes in one chunk and then leaving it be for the last month - I signed in today just to check on things, I was surprised to see 2 more offers than normal. Curious, I checked to see what they were and one was for a credit limit increase (which was approved immediately for another $200, raising my limit to $700) and the other was a pre-approved offer for a MasterCard because of my "good behaviour".

I was a little unsure at first, knowing it would be a hard pull (which actually hasn't shown up yet, but we're still less than 24 hours in) and I've worked really hard to get my credit to where it is now (started this credit repair journey around 550 or so and am now at 702 with 14 mixed accounts) I decided to take a chance and submitted my application... Within 30 seconds I was congratulated and approved for an $800 MasterCard! That's up a $1000, for a total of $1500 between both cards! (On a side note - I also got approved for a Discover It card with a $2500 limit - my biggest yet - just prior to this for a total of $4000 in less than 24 hours!) Overall I'm very satisfied with Credit One, and very grateful they took a chance on me when not many others would. So, Thank You Credit One! And to everyone else -YES, I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS CARD - if you're serious about rebuilding your credit responsibly, Credit One can help you achieve that goal! :)

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Just about any time I have had a problem, Credit One bank has fixed it in a timely manner. They also do the right thing before I ever have to ask. Thank you for being available and for being friendly!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Credit One gave me a credit card when no one else would. I admit, their rates are high, but if your credit is bad, what do you expect. If you pay on time, they WILL NOT bother you. I have nothing bad to say about them, because they were there for me. I pay it off every month and now my limit is at 1700. By doing this, the high rates never affect me. So please, STOP! Pay your bills, get your scores up and THEN you can get rid of the card since it's so bad.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have had two credit cards from Credit One Bank for 3 years now. Yes, I am using it to rebuild my credit, and it's working. I have never had a problem, to date, with any of my cards. I always use the website to make my payments, or I use the App on my phone. I am sorry so many people are having trouble with this company, but like I said before; I have never had an issue. I knew what I was getting into, and I don't like some of their features on the card, but knock on wood, it has been a good experience thus far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit One Bank?

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have had Credit One Bank for a few years, and I don't know when they decided to send over their customer service to the Philippines! So hard to communicate with them and they don't ever know how to answer simple questions. Also, beware of this card!! In 3 different occasions my card was being used in other countries, took almost all my money available. Also for some reason my billing address was completely different than what I submitted. This card was easy to commit frauds and charges! Stick to a bank that is well known, this one will cause problems!! Also, I don't know how hard it is to close an account. I called and it was a nightmare to close it!!!

I have had Credit One bank for a few years, and I don't know when they decided to send over their customer service to the Philippines! So hard to communicate with them and they don't ever know how to answer simple questions. Also, beware of this card!! In 3 different occasions my card was being used in other countries took almost all my money available, also for some reason my billing address was completely different then what I submitted. This card was easy to commit frauds and charges! Stick to a bank that is well known, this one will cause problems!! Also, I don't know how hard it is to close an account, I called and it was a nightmare to close it!!!

Original review: July 13, 2019

This bank is fraud they apply false service charges late fees and lie. I caught them then they removed the charge but that is not good enough. These unfair lenders need to be stopped. I was charged 60 annual fee the same day I paid off any balance on the card then 10 days later I was charged a 28 dollar late fee but before that they suspended my card. They said due to non payment but the card was paid in full. Then customer service proceeded thru 3 managers and in the end the guy was yelling at me. I told him to cancel the card and they back tracked. Finally I got it cancelled but they still charged me an annual fee even though I paid the fee in the beginning because they gave me 600 credit but charged the fee to the card so my available credit was only 510 dollars. What a freaking burn.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I was approved for a credit card with Credit One Bank almost three years ago. It was great to be able to qualify for a credit card after being declined by almost every other bank due to my low credit history. However, I am dissatisfied with the level of customer service. You are unable to call in and reach a live agent who can assist you with your account. Their online portal is very outdated and has limited functions. When making payments, it can take an entire week for your available credit to increase. You are charged interest regardless if you pay your balance in full!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I would not recommend this card, there are other cards that are similar that I got and have no problems. Fairly easy process to get the card, and very useful to have a card to rebuild credit, but after using it for months and making payments, once I used my bank account to pay instead of their high-fee debit payment option, they froze my account and require a bank verification letter to prove I am authorized to make payments from my own bank account? Keep in mind there is no problem with my payments clearing, but for some reason they said they think another family member is making the payments?

That makes NO SENSE because I don't have family members, and the account is in my name, so who else would make the payments, ridiculous! 72 hours before they will answer me if they even received the fax, and then 7-10 business days to validate my letter before they will lift the suspension on my account? When I told my bank what this credit card company is asking for, they said it is shady because there was no problem with the payment from my own account. I read other people's internet posts about this same problem, and I hear that after the 7-10 days they will close the account and mark it as "Bank closed card". We shall see.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I will be paying my card off as soon as I can. First, the customer service stinks. I don't understand why you can't communicate via email or their website. Also, make sure you read fine print. They sent me a check for a credit increase and when I cashed it, they now charge you a separate interest charge on that.

Original review: July 8, 2019

You can have a zero balance with all of your credit available and your card can still be unauthorized at the POS. That is ridiculous. When you call, they may offer an explanation of "There was a temporary hold for suspicious behavior", however they can't tell you why it was suspicious. It's difficult to understand some of the reps' dialect which makes the call even more frustrating. If I am in my hometown trying to make a $30 purchase and have over $2000 of available credit, I need to know why my card was declined, in detail. Not just that they will now remove the hold. This card sucks. I will be paying it off, closing it and cutting it up. Save yourself the embarrassment and do the same.

Original review: July 8, 2019

On May 28, 2019, I received a call from the collection dept of Credit One Bank saying I need to pay 59$. I told the representative I would be paying it by June 4. I put money into my bank that pays my bill for Credit One then proceeded to take another 59$ on June which in turn gave my other bank insufficient funds which billed me 36$. I contacted them on June 12 about this. I spoke to a supervisor he told me to send in documents from the bank which I did to received a refund check so I can send back to my other bank to cover the fee. They claim they never received it so again I sent a fax on the 3rd of July to them. They received the fax today about the issue yet spoke with a supervisor named Janet. She told me they do not cut refund checks yet 2 other supervisors said they would. I'm done with bank.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Anyone who has a Credit One bank account should note that when you make an express payment, you are charged a $9.95 fee. But, what you didn't know is that the bank then charges your account again the same amount. Credit One has not released a statement yet but all cardholders need to look at their statements immediately.

Original review: July 7, 2019

My account says automatic payment when I log in and look at past payments, yet I was told by the representative that they don't offer automatic payments. Now I am past due and get literally 10+ phone calls a day. I told the representative that the fact that they don't offer autopay makes it seem like they intentionally want consumers to be late. She had nothing on that one.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I made 2 payments in the same month and Credit One blocked my card. They forced me to go to my bank and provide a verification account letter. They are unscrupulous and provide poor services. They said the reason it was blocked was due to their anti-laundering policy. When I provided everything to them I told them I wanted to cancel my card. They said if I did not wait for the validation to complete they would put on my credit report that the account was closed by the bank. I have to now wait for validation to complete before I cancel. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They appear to be quite shady in their business dealings.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I went out to Credit One website to make a payment today. I then got an error message that I have made more than 4 payments and I cannot make another payment this month. I called and said I want to make a payment. After talking to a manager I was told to send it in via Western Union. I am paying this off (as soon as I am allowed to make a payment again) and closing the acct. Is it even legal to not accept a payment???

Original review: June 26, 2019

I’ve been with the company for a while now, trying to build my credit but there seems to be a problem every time I make a payment. I made a payment on 6/21 with a positive balance, the payment was taken off of my bank card on the 6/24 all to end up with a negative balance because a payment from May “did not clear.” This is a scam, save your money and get a credit card with your actual bank. You will spend ridiculous amounts of money trying to build credit, when there are better ways.

Original review: June 21, 2019

We got this card to build my husband's credit. They charge you an annual fee but they break it up into monthly payments so you'll never truly carry a zero balance. Not to mention they charge you interest on that fee. A couple months ago my husband lost his card and it was found and used at a local gas station. We disputed the charges, got our money back and all was good. Until we got our new cards in the mail. I activated them only to discover that our cards were used again at that same gas station for the same amount as the first fraudulent charge.

So here we go again, calling Credit One to get things resolved. They credited us back the charge and sent out new cards once again. But this time I never activated them. I left them in the envelope and put them in a desk drawer. Today I saw that those same charges from the gas station appeared again but twice! How could these fraudulent charges keep following us from card to card if the company supposedly took care of it? Bunch of bull. Can't wait to get rid of this card!

Original review: June 20, 2019

I have 2 cards thru this bank. Had no problem until I made a second payment on one this month, I thought that would be a good thing? But since I had already made one online, pay all my bills online. It said that I could not make another payment until I verify my checking acct. again? I thought this was strange but it gets much worse. So I entered the 2 small deposits they made in my acct. And it said my acct. was verified. Now I can make another payment so I did, it just so happened that I had some extra money this month and wanted to pay down some debt. So I made the 2nd payment. When I checked my checking acct. I saw that they took out 3 payments instead of 2. So I call them, always get the same man I can hardly understand and it seems like he's the only 1 who works there.

Anyway I told him the problem and he told me, "Sorry the payments have all posted, nothing I can do." So I called my bank and told them I made 2 payments and they could see that there were 3. I told them that I only made 2 payments so they said they would investigate and reversed the 3rd payment. Went to log into my visa acct and it's frozen, no access. Then get an email from Credit Karma that an acct had been closed. I called and tried to reason with this guy, told him I have a 2nd acct. that I'm locked out of and he had to get his supervisor who sounds just like him and had me do a 3-way call with my bank to verify the other acct and payment.

But that didn't cover both cards which I pay from the same checking acct. So they want a letter from my bank on their letter head saying the acct is mine and so many other things he wanted from me I couldn't keep up writing it all down. Gave me a fax # for the bank, I'm not ok with faxing that and it cost me $10 to get the letter. They also want me to write a letter explaining what happened even though I told him and his supervisor! Everything they put on my credit report was wrong, date closed, didn't show the 2 payments they got. I have every bill set to electronic delivery. I asked how am I suppose to see my acct, how much I owe due date. He insisted that I get a paper bill or I have for the last 2 months, false. They are harassing me with letters that they are going to ruin my credit all over making an extra payment!

I'm so upset and stressed out, I don't know what to do. I need help! This is awful to do to someone trying to better their credit. If I had the money I would get an attorney, this is a crime what they're doing to people! So I started looking over what statements I had downloaded wondering how these cards I haven't had long are maxed out! A $60 annual fee turned into $120. So who knows what all mistakes there are when they freeze your account but have actually closed it without notice and all for nothing. Had I known I would have never ever chose this card. I'm at a loss, I have no idea what to do. I'm just sick over this. Throwing away money I don't even have. Someone seriously needs to investigate this company and shut them down. There should be a big law suit for all they've done to innocent people.

Original review: June 18, 2019

This card is easy to get approved for, then it's a nightmare. High rates and if you pay too much they lock you out of your account and make you pay by phone and try to charge you a ONE TIME FEE every time you pay by phone. You cannot set up a automatic withdrawal. Customer service just reads off a script and cannot help solve any problems. Will not lower interest rates. This is a BUYER BEWARE card. Go with another company.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I have been a customer for over 6 months. Never missed a payment. Even paid twice a month. Received advertisement when I applied that stated line increase After 3 on time payments. I have paid 6 on time payments and denied increase. Spoke to manager John who called me a liar and said the computer tells them when to give increase.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Worst ever. We sent our payment in 4 times and they keep rejecting them. I called. They said it was our bank so I called our bank. They never got anything nor seen a declined transaction so I called them back to explain to them and all they keep saying is "It's not us. Call your bank." So I then asked for management. Was told no one was available. So I said I would wait. I waited over a hour for one call to get disconnected. Called back. Waited 45 mins to be disconnected.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Credit card protection is not worth the money. I have paid it for many years got layoff and didn't call the day after the layoff. If I had called it would only pay the minimum balance for 6 months. However, they will continue charging an annual fee, interest and credit card protection fee and your card will be frozen so you can't use it. It cost me about $15 per month for 3 years ($540,00). The only benefit is about $60.00, not a good purchase.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I received this Credit One Bank credit card the first week of May 2019. I have had nothing but problems! I made 4 "express payments" which they charged $9.95 for each and now that I want to pay off my balance, I cannot not do an express or standard payment. Because according to them, I have made "too many payments in 30 days." I have now been on the phone with them over an hour battling to pay my account! I have spoken to 4 people and was supposed to get transferred to "a manager" and instead got hung up on! I'm beyond furious! I can't pay a balance of $395.11 either from my bank account or using my debit card! The last guy told me to Western Union the money or mail it! What??? Who the hell sends money Western Union? Let alone write a check to be mailed?? They have my bank account info on file & still I cannot make a payment until after June 12th? Stay away!! Still on hold waiting for a manager!!!

Original review: June 5, 2019

So unprofessional. Please go for the capital one card!! I Paid my account online line before the cut off time. They charged my card a 25.00 late fee. I asked them to look into the time posted. I always pay on time. They would not remove the late fee. Please stay away from them.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I was reviewing my account (which I am actively working on paying off as this credit card company is nothing but thieves) and noticed a second card was on my account... Weird... I never applied for any card. Then, that card has a $60 fee on it just because. I have never seen this card nor do I have this card in my possession. I informed the company and they say they are escalating it to their fraud department. I refuse to pay for a card I do not even have and did not want. This company is not reliable and not trustworthy. Save yourself a lot of time and effort and avoid Credit One like it is the Plague. One of the shadiest companies I have encountered. Save yourself time and money and if you see "Credit One", run away as far as you can. If a card can just be activated without my knowledge, their security is a little more than lacking.

Original review: June 1, 2019

This card is a scam! They charge you a monthly fee of $6.25 (Even if you never use it) AND they charge you a yearly fee. It may be an easy card to get to rebuild credit but if in the long run you will wish you never added it. Additionally, I had over a year with of these monthly fees and no credit card charges that carried over from month to month. Customer service LIED to me and said that instead of closing my account she would give me 6 months of not monthly fee. Next month came around and I got charged. Interestingly, the company had NO record of this conversation and stated there was NO offers on my account. I paid my last 6.25 and closed the account. NOT WORTH IT. SCAM!!

Original review: May 30, 2019

At first, this credit card was amazing. We got the card, used it, paid it, all was great. Then, we had some financial issues that prevented us from making payments in full and we got a month behind. This is when the harassment started. I'm not talking several letters and all, I'm talking 15 calls IN ONE DAY. No voicemail was left, nothing was ever said about who this random number was that repeatedly called me. I was checking Google, reading reviews, nothing.

Finally, I picked up the phone because I just couldn't deal with the harassment anymore. She tells me thank you for taking the call and that her name is Cynthia **. I had to pull teeth to even get her to tell me what company she worked with. Then, I go to contact Credit One Bank to tell them to please get this under control. The only way to contact this company is through the phone or snail mail. What company in 2019 won't allow their customers to even write them an email or submit an online inquiry? I own the fact that I missed a payment but that does not warrant 100 calls in 7 days. It just flat out doesn't. I will be closing my account as soon as I can.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I applied for the card and was told to expect the card within 7-10 business days via email. Upon calling, I was told it would take up to 4 weeks by an offshore employee. Why would any card take that long?

Original review: May 29, 2019

The card has the worst online services, rate and fees for any card I've experienced. In the end, the card isn't worth the time. Discover and Capital One provide better options for new users looking to build credit. Credit One (C1) charges fees because of non-payment, but they'll block online payment access days before your payment is due. This allows them to charge the fee. It's just a game to them. They'll also have "unexpected" online site issues around the time your payment is due. In the end, you can call and get the fee credited off but they activate these quirks to take advantage of suckers who are looking to desperately build credit. I honestly think this is the worst card with such limited options and perks, in addition, the stress isn't worth your time. Look elsewhere when building credit, even your local bank can assist. Zero Stars! JM.

Credit One Bank Company Information