Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.80/5
Based on 1,832 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Reviews

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Have had the card for the past year and have had nothing but issues since about the second month. Problems came about when I paid the same bill twice and had requested to have the amount credited back to my Capital One account. All was well for about 2 weeks, I faxed them the required bank statements and worked with them. They credited me back the amount and then about 3 weeks later, without warning, took the amount back causing my card to go way over balance.

They never had any issue accepting my payments before this incident. Even after authorizing a payment to be made over the phone (which is what they told me needed to be done), my account still showed a returned payment. I always had sufficient funds in my account to cover any payment, so balance on my end was never an issue. On top of all this, the 4 people I’ve spoken with over the phone calls were extremely short with me and rude. This incident has since ruined my credit score, the account has been closed, is 4 months delinquent, and has severely changed my outlook on this company for the worst. Definitely would not recommend CapOne.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

This bank is the worse when trying to talk to anyone on their service department and ones you do get a hold of someone they will click the call and you will have to waste more time to get a hold of someone just not to be help, and do not ask to speak to a supervisor. They will immediately click or they're not available.. I used other banks for car loans and never had to deal with so much stupidity to make a payment or to fix a late payment in my life.. First and last time I'm using this bank. Stay away....

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I had a problem where my account was restricted. I called up their customer service line and the girl mispronounced the street names which led me to get the questions wrong. Now I was sent to the fraud department where they ask me for a copy of my state id, my ss card and a bank statement. I do not have a state id or a driver's license as I have a passport. I included a photo of the passport and the ss card. I tried to include my bank statement but they refused to accept it. They were complaining because of the bank account number is blacked out.

I use Ally Bank and they do this to all my bank statements. I cannot understand why they need my bank account number if it is simply to verify my residency. If there are any questions they could have simply sent a letter to the address on file and ask me to provide them with the word or series of numbers printed on the paper sent. Regardless they have refused to allow me access to my account. I am working overseas in China as a teacher and do not need this type of stress. This card is great for those who reside in the USA but for someone who travels like I do it is a complete nightmare of a company to deal with.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I had an issue with Capital in December 2015, where I promptly paid off my outstanding balance and asked them cancel my card and close my account. My card was then charged in November 2016 - almost a year later. I called and was told my account was closed. My card was then charged in November 2017...and November 2018...and November 2019. Even though my credit card was closed in 2016. Each year it’s charged by a different vendor, gets declined the first two times the vendor tries to charge my card and gets put through the third time the vendor charges the card. Capital One has been unable to explain how they can decline payments twice and let them go through the third time and also are unable to tell me how a card that was closed years ago still continues to be active. I have the same conversation with them every year and am on the hook every year for a payment I didn’t authorize with a credit card I do not own.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Riddle me this Capital One - If I take advantage of PROMOTIONAL OFFERS - Where the CONSUMER has the understanding that they need to pay it off by a certain time frame - Why do you then get to determine how MY PAYMENTS are being applied?? Why why why do you have the right to apply MY MONTHLY PAYOFF FOR PURCHASES? Why the hell DO YOU GUYS SPREAD THAT PURCHASE PAYMENT to the balance transfers??!!

I'll tell you why! To rob people and get any penny you can get! Every month for months I have been dealing with an hour plus on the phone with these thieves. I have taken advantage of balance transfers and ensure if I have a AN ACTUAL PURCHASE where I actually use my credit card - that I pay off indeed WHAT I ACTUALLY PURCHASED!! But guess what these thieves like to do.... They take this "PAYOFF" that you think you did and yield it across the balance transfers first, leaving your "payoff" for the month... SHORT!!!

So guess what? Next thing you know - (and worse if you don't even use your CC) and just have it on auto pay for the "balance promotional transfers" - you start getting hit with interest cause they state "you didn't pay off their INTEREST SAVER" payment" - ???? Which includes a portion of the balance transfers?!!! Which also angers me cause YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL ME I HAVE A PROMOTIONAL OFFER then expect to tell me WHAT I need to pay off on it monthly!!! Just like the freaking government - taxes and all this matrix hell - they keep you misinformed just to keep on robbing us blind. Shame on you Capital One!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

On October 28, I found out that Capital One switched my Essential checking account out for a Simple Checking Account without my permission. Their excuse was that it was upgraded to a online 360 account. My direct deposit prior to this migration to an unwanted would be deposited on Saturday. I was informed by my employer, a Capital One Rep, and an FAQ on the Cap One Bank website that nothing should change but that was untrue. Three deposits later I am still getting my deposit according to my employer on Saturday but Capital One has changed their tune. I spoke to a Capital One bank manager name Ms. **, who thought it was a great idea to be patronizing, to explain that not only will they not resolve this issue but my deposits will come in between Monday and Friday.

This manager Ms. ** continuously spoke over me throughout our conversation as if I made the decision to switch my checking account when I did not. For this I will be moving my account to my old banking institution which was not much better but at least I could count on them not making unnecessary changes to my accounts without my permission.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Capital One sucks!!! The hateful unprofessional woman who answered my call when I called to find out why my above the minimum payment was not reflected on my card tried to tell me that it was normal for them to hold a payment for 7 days after they released the funds from my bank. When I told her that it wasn't normal and no other bank or credit card did this, she then proceeded to say that it was a Federal law to hold access for 7 days. I told her that she was a liar and that I should know because I worked for Bank of America for several years and that neither Chase or Wells Fargo does that and they're both major banks. She then said that she was just following the rules. I told her that I was going to pay them off and send them back the card in pieces!!! If you apply for this card prepare to be treated like Dirt, which is what this company and card is worth!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I had card for a year. Need to change phone number to my account. After 5 calls to customer service was finally told they couldn’t do it. Spoke to supervisor. She was very rude so I was locked out of my phone account And my computer account so I closed my account. This customer service department sucks. Worst card I have ever had. Don’t call customer service. They can’t help you. Full of excuses.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

On 11/8 my bank sent a certified cashier's check to them to pay my entire balance as part of a loan. They received 11/18. On 11/23, I tried to make a purchase for well within my credit limit. It was declined. Called. They wouldn't release the credit for 8 days (until 11/26) unless they verify check cleared. I was an hour away from home so I didn't have check number to provide the bank. So lady basically tells me too bad so sad. "You will get your credit on the 26th" since she couldn't see the check number in their system supposedly. Ridiculous. A certified cashier's check is like handing them cash. To get declined when I know I have a zero balance is unacceptable. Seriously considering canceling the card.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I applied for a Capital One business card no problem, received the email to tell me it was on the way, no problem. The credit card arrived and I put it away for safe keeping and lo and behold, I received a call from the fraud department asking me to upload some documents online, no problem. I never received the email link the lady said she would send and I called them back 7 days later to get it. I finally upload the documents they requested and I received another phone call to tell me on a Sunday when nothing is open they will call me back on Monday to verify the utility bill. No phone call was received so I called them back twice over the additional 7 days and now they want more documents.

If they had cold feet they should not have issued the card in the first place and they still have not called back or emailed me expressing what they are looking for.

If anyone one knows about business how on earth can you ask a sole proprietor for a certificate of incorporation? Absolute nonsense, A sole proprietor has a business name, a tax EIN number and a business account. I got a larger line of credit elsewhere. Goodbye and good riddance Capital One.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Got an email offer: open a Cap One 360 Performance Savings account, get a nice bonus. Tried to do this on-line. Form wouldn't let me use a middle initial, which I always use. There was no provision to make this a joint account with my wife. Phone number offered little or no help, as all they wanted me to do was to use the on-line application process again. Was told that if I went into a Cap One Cafe to open the account in person, I'd just be helped to use the same on-line application process. But, the form was quick to ask me to fund the account. Why would Cap One bombard me with mailings and emails, and then make it so difficult, if not impossible, to do what I wanted? I have their credit card, and am very happy with that service, but this banking thing is a total disaster.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

On Oct 5 I contacted Capital One to have them deny a payment for a purchase I had just made over internet. The supplier advertised buy 3 get 2 free at a discounted rate. After purchase made I was charged full price, no discount price from Website nor free bottles advertised on their website. Although supplier has return policy they refused to give me an RMA on two occasions. I called Capital One & asked they deny charges because supplier were charging me more than advertised. To me that is a fraudulent charge. I don't speak Capital One-eese so I didn't know that I should never mentioned the word fraud (even though that is the crime that went down.) I didn't know which department to send the claim. Since the pricing charged versus what they advertised were different it seemed fraud was their game.

Capital One folks sent me to fraud department. I thought they knew the right department. I've since learned that employee training is not valued. I was notified that fraud wasn't found. That is based upon the fact that I had given supplier my card information, didn't matter I reported the incorrect pricing. According to Capital One supplier can charge whatever they like, even if you notify them of the incorrect pricing. Since they sent it to the fraud department (called Fraud & Dispute how as I suppose to know there is a high silo dividing the 2 and if customer gets the wrong dept or Capital One directs you to wrong group, customer eats the cost because Capital One doesn't take responsibility for their errors.

I also learned that no supervisors or managers can be named. No one can tell you where Corporate Headquarters are. There is NO WAY TO ELEVATE ERRORS OR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Watch your wallet. Or better yet, keep Capital One out. They are not a customer advocate and even if you contact them within minutes of a fraudulent charge they will let pass because supplier has your card number (that's been cancelled) & can charge when and where they want. No supervisors or managers take calls or make calls. Apparently no one is in charge of Customer Service.

Now I learn that once Capital One identifies a claim as fraud they can't change it to dispute (I didn't know that was the magic word). I spoke with 3 different account managers and got the same answer. Bottom line, supplier screwed me by charging me more than advertised and Capital One screwed me because they sent me to wrong department to handle complaint. I have to find a way to get my money back because I don't have the $198 for Capital One. They couldn't get customer to issue a credit. They are totally INEFFECTIVE dealing with crooks. I wouldn't recommend Capital One to anyone. If you have a card from them, use the scissors and save yourself grief when dealing with customer service at Capital One.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I looked into doing a balance transfer because of the interest. I researched on a few websites that compared different credit cards, looking into 0% balance transfer offers. I went with Capital One & that was a horrible decision!! It says on their own website & 3rd party websites that they have 0% APR on purchases & balance transfers for 15 months. I signed up, got approved, & transferred my balance from my old CC to the Quicksilver card.

I realized later on my monthly statements I'm being charged 21.74% interest! That is much higher than my previous interest rate. Capital One tells me I agreed to these terms and there is nothing I can do & they refuse to refund me for the interest charges. Why would anyone switch over to a higher interest rate?! Then they even tried to tell me I do have an offer of $150 cash back if I spend $300...why would I make more purchases if you already took my money?! Do not go with them!! THIS IS A BAIT & SWITCH SALES TACTIC & FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!! They do not even care that I am going to close this account & let people know that they are a horrible company (maybe because they already scammed me out of a few hundred dollars for nothing).

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

For years Capital One has been harassing me with email and mailers to join their bank services. So, when I finally cave in and submit an application for a credit card with my excellent credit I might add, they apparently couldn't process it because one of my identification copies was "identifiable" which could have happened copy machines can be faulty at times, however that's not the reason my application was dismissed apparently Capital One forgot to notify me, just like that, that was their excuse literal excuse "Oops we forgot to let you know" no email, no letter or anything and my application was cancelled. So, now they're harassing me again to re-apply. Well pardon my French but SCREW YOU! Worst bank ever!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I am using Capital One Walmart credit card. I set up my automatic payment for card balance. And also check out statement that it shows only due date Dec 2th for payment. Capital one never demand for payment before due date. I got a notification for I didn't pay balance on Nov 17th. My credit score dropped down 6 points. I have checked out everything that I may overlooked for payment. But no. Capital one only says that Dec 2th is payment date.

Capital one experience almost 30 point decreased my credit score in total. I have another bad experience with capital one. I just wanna understand that if credit bureau payment earlier than capital one payment then why I don't see any notification or anything in my mobile app or mailing something from customer support or any way to help before my credit score down. Shame on you!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

The take advantage of people in need of credit with insane interest rates. I paid my balance off expecting to have a zero balance, and I did. I checked back a few days later and it said I owed like three dollars. No big deal. I figured extra interest as my payment in full took a few days to post. So I paid the three dollars. This all paid before the due date. So I was at zero balance.

So now like three days later I check back to make sure all is good and I find they just added an additional charge of like $150.00. I call them they tell me it’s additional interest. I tell them when a balance is paid in full that should be the end of that. That’s not how Capital One works. They screw you when you owe them and screw you when you don’t. DON’T LET THEM SCREW YOU. I had no choice but to pay them the $150.00 so I could close the account as when I called them they had no interest in helping me. They lost me as a customer. My wife just canceled her card. I am now going to pay off my three daughters Capital One cards so they can and will close their accounts. They just lost five good customers over their poor business practice and terrible customer service.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I actually opened a Capitol One quick silver credit card in 2015 which has an annual fee of $39 and APR of 24.7%. I then went on to obtain another Capital one card and financed a Infiniti SUV and a Acura sedan within the past 2 years in which I've made all payments early. I contacted them to see if they would remove the annual fee or cut the interest rate and was to no! That they do periodic analysis and had no offer for me. I explained that I can open another quick silver card with $0 annual fee and was informed that it possible I would be approved but they can't help me at this point. I informed the representative that within 6 months I'm trading in the Infiniti SUV for the bigger one and will not use Capital One which is sad because they've been good to me in the past but I will move on.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

For over a month they've been told that when you click to edit the payee account #, the link comes up with a blank Recaptcha box. The feature is completely unavailable and it's obviously a glitch in their web page, but they insist all we need to do is clear the cache, use a different browser, or log in Incognito. None of this works.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I have had questions regarding my account and when you talk to a representative they never answer questions. They always seem to have to talk to a manager and can not think for themselves. I will never use Capital One ever again. Closed my account forever and they still send me offers even though I told them to never contact me again...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I cancelled my card after, 12 years, Sept 30 because of their poor customer service. Since then I have had 2 questions regarding their breach of security and the fact that when I call I am told that they have multiple accounts associated with me. Capital One refuses to engage me after 6 weeks of being lied to, promises of calls returned not kept, being left on hold for literally hours and writing a letter and getting no reply. ANY POSITIVE REVIEW IS A LIE AND WRITTEN BY A FRIEND OR EMPLOYEE.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I applied for a card back in March of this year... The amount of times I’ve had to call because I never received my card is a gong show! It is now November and I’ve had to call over 5 times and each time you cancel the card and send a new one out, or tell me to wait a bit longer for my mail to arrive, your timeline is 7-10 buisness days... This is the worst service and experience that I’ve ever had with a credit card company. I’ve been needing this card and the fact you can’t provide me with one after I’ve gone through all the steps and post office trips to verify myself and still can’t be mailed to my address is **. I’m very disappointed with Capital One and their service and I will not be recommending them to anyone I know, Because of this. when it shouldn’t ** take 8 months to get a card... I’ll be calling them AGAIN today because I’m fed up and ready to go elsewhere and ** your services!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Capital one bought my account from Walmart without prior approval. I do not wish to do business with Capital One. When I refused to activate the card because they told me I didn't qualify for the %5 bonus program, my Credit card score dropped 42%. The most rude person I have ever talked to at a business. Not my first bad experience with Capital one. Thankfully, I have been keeping records and I believe I have a case with the FTC. However, my advice to anyone thinking about opening an account with Capital One, think twice. They are very unfair in their actions about your accounts.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

NO NO NO! There is a huge scam going on...either Capital One is paying off writers to give good reviews or I don't know. This is NOT a real bank, they do NOT comply with standard banking practices. Let me explain: Paycheck/Salary direct deposits take 1-2 days to clear with any other bank. Capital One will credit your electronically deposited salary (direct deposit) after 5-7 business days - how is that even legal? Manually deposited checks or mobile check deposits can take easily 7-10 days to clear. Their app and web interface is terrible, confusing, it uses non-standard language making it often impossible to figure out what is actually going on and what your real balance is.

For example....if you make any deposit it is represented with a beautifully designed square icon and among other information will display the line "Send on: With a date in the future". So I deposited a check, then I made an electronic transfer into the Capital One checking account both on November 2nd. Both deposits eventually showed up as the above described icon with the line: "Send on November 15th".

Now of course I am not sending any money. I am waiting for the deposit to be available. So I called customer service and it was explained to me that the term "send: followed by date" is Capital One's way of telling you when the deposit will clear (is available). When I asked whether they understand that sending money is the opposite of depositing money and that a line stating my deposit will be "send" with a future date is totally concerning I was told "well we use the term "send" to tell you when your deposit clears". Come again? I could go on with similar issues with their credit cards. This is the worst bank ever. Luckily I didn't yet close my Chase accounts and so I am spending tomorrow to get everything switched back to them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I have a Capital One Credit card for 3 years and I do have another credit card from different bank. I do have the highest Interest Rate on my capital one credit card which is %26 and I basically paying interest on this card and I probably cannot pay off my 4000 dollar credit card soon because I pay $150 interest on it every month for 3 years so I call the customer service and I talked to Marine ** ID: ** and talked to her to see if they can lower my interest like my other credit card which is %16 and she didn't even listen to me and said no. That's it, that's the way Capital One customer service is. I'm not happy with them at all. People using the credit card because they sometimes need money and I have a great credit score and it's not fair to pay %26 APR for me.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

On my previous review I was reviewing Synchrony Bank. They offer 36 months interest free, but start charging interest at 24 months. No notice, and added late fee. Capital One let me transfer to them. Capital One has the best cards and service!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

No other bank is as secure as Capital One. Hands down. Unfortunately it is so secure that even I can't access my money. I spent 8 hours verifying I am me, then gaining access to my accounts but finally gave up when I was unable to add my fiance to my account. Their online system has more bugs than the Smithsonian entomology exhibit.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I complain about a bill of a service I did not received. They returned me the money and then rebilled me again after few months even after providing them the letter and proof they requested. Very unsatisfied.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Capital One Credit Cards are the worst. This company has the worst customer service. They want to fight and argue with customers. I have made my payments on time. When I paid my account in full they put a 7 day hold. They called my bank and the funds were verified and Capital One still held the account. I had to call the bank and Capital One 5 different times in 2 days to get the issue resolved. Beware of this company. I would have gave them 0 for the stars but it would not let me. Do not waste your time with this company. They are the worst.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

This is the worst most unprofessional experience I've ever had with a company. I applied for a card (with excellent credit). I received a letter saying they needed more information and that I could fax it to them, which I did. Four weeks passed and I called and got a recording that said I would hear something in 10 days. Today I got a letter saying it was denied because they didn't have all the information.

When I called, they said the information was distorted and not readable. When I asked, "Why couldn't someone send me a quick email?" They said they cannot contact everyone! They said I would have to re-apply because they could not re-open a case, the first time was a hard pull on my credit and the second application would be too, so she suggested to wait 4-5 months! Are you kidding me? You can send a email saying it was denied but you can't send an email saying they couldn't read my information? I am completely sick with the unprofessional experience of this company.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My son is stuck in the middle of India right now with his Capital One debit card locked because of one fraudulent charge. He can text, but cannot make phone calls while traveling. I have a join account with him and access to his account, but there is no way for him to authorize me to call on his behalf to temporarily unlock his card so he can withdraw funds to buy himself a bus ticket. He tried to chat with bank agent and borrowed somebody else’s phone to call collect the bank, but guess what, that’s for credit card holders only. I am very frustrated and worried for my son, who is 21 and does not deserve this. Capital One does not have the customers’ back at all as they boldly claim!

Capital One Company Information