Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.96/5
Based on 1,846 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I want to thank Capital One and all employees for giving a good guy a chance to rebuild. Thank you!!! And may all y'all have the best New Year!!! I will be sure to give credit where credit is due!! Awesome!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

Paid off billed balance online. I realized that account would have accumulated additional interest. So I called to get the payoff for the interest. They could not calculate the interest nor could they accept an estimated payment amt from me as they repeatedly told me that I must wait until the billing cycle ends in order to pay off the interest. So I said, "No I want a payoff as of this date, so that I get no additional interest."

Repeatedly told by senior account manager, reading from a script, No they could not give me a payoff, that my balance is zero. I said, "So you want me to continue to wait until the end of the billing cycle so that you can continue to accrue interest on my account rather than quote a payoff thru today's date so that the following month you can charge me additional interest on the interest that you are refusing to quote a payoff on until the end of your billing cycle. When I have asked you for a payoff as of this date and you are refusing to give me a payoff amount or allow me to make an additional payment that would more than satisfy any interest."

So since she has refused to give me a payoff, refused to accept payment for any interest that may have accrued and repeatedly told me that I have a zero balance, I finally said, "So my account is paid off in full because you keep telling me it is zero." She proceeds to tell me, "No, it doesn't work that way," but she can't calculate and give me a payoff nor can she close my account but she will put a restriction on it. So I said, "Basically I have a zero balance that you want to allow to accrue interest so the following month you can access additional interest on the interest only balance and repeat over and over again," then oh no she didn't. Yes she speaks down to me and tells me, quote "Let me educate you...."

Ok, now I am angry so I tell her the one that needs educated is her. She needs educated on her customer service skills. She proceeds to tell me she is quite educated. But apparently not educated enough to calculate a payoff amount. Phantom debt is what I told her she was creating on my account. Call eventually has ended. Still not resolved so next month I will get another bill for interest only and when I pay that, will get another bill the following month for interest on the interest they have refuse to calculate and quote me a payoff. Not happy. This should be illegal. Actually I am not sure that it isn't illegal.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I was told by Capital One customer service that they would be able to lower my APR if I call back after my past due payment was caught up. I called back and they said they would not be able to offer me a lower interest rate, but that they would "leave a note" on my account and to call back in 6 months when they may offer this deal again. I call back and am given the same "no" and run around. They tell me they can waive my late fee if I have a problem with making payments on time, but continued to evade when I brought how I was told several times that they could lower my APR and even got a notification that this option became available for my account. This company wants to keep customers in debt instead of have loyal customers.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

My Husband is traveling in Bulgaria. I went to log in on our laptop to make a payment at my Grandma’s home. CapitalOne’s server must have noticed that the I.P. Address was different from our homes and asked for verification via one of three options. Each of the options, however, required a smart phone’s texting feature. Unfortunately, he was not able to perform any of the options due to very limited service. There is a tollfree number for this situation posted on the bottom of the webpage’s verification page.

When I called the tollfree number, they asked for him to send a photo of the front and back of a government issued I.D. However, they also placed a hold on the card making it unusable. So, he is stuck traveling in Europe with no Credit Card for two weeks. This is horribly upsetting as we informed CapitalOne prior to his departure that he would be traveling to Bulgaria and made certain that the account was noted for travel outside the US. We provided verification via the telephone that it was indeed him traveling to release the hold with no success.

I fail to understand why they would place a hold on the card, making unusable after all of the precautions have been made and after all of the verifications have been performed. This is not only a major inconvenience, but a safety concern. CapitalOne is negligent in jeopardizing the wellbeing of an American traveling overseas who was depending on their services. Monies will now have to be sent via a service at additional costs and hopefully will be accepted at locations to provide him a safe return. There are so many other credit card options that offer better interest rates and rewards and would never consciously jeopardize the safety and wellbeing of their users. Be warned, stay far away from CapitalOne!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

This is to lodge my complaint against Capital One in regards of allowing repeated identity thieves’ attempt to open credit cards and my repeated calls made into Capital One to the Fraud Dept. Over a course of 2 months, I have had 6 hard inquiries of individuals trying to open a credit card application; each time the application was denied due to suspected fraud. While I’m relieved an account never opened, I'm beyond belief there were no attempts to review internal records to if a submission was previously denied and reason why. Had it this been flagged, more vigilant questions could have been posed, perhaps it would have stopped BEFORE you submitted a hard inquiry for that application.

The operation is grossly laxed that allowed continue attempts. Capital One may have stopped the account(s) from being created, but miserably failed to stop the hard inquiries which has an immense impact to the victim: credit score, my time of repeated calls to your Fraud Dept, and my mental state. I’ve made several calls the Fraud Dept to report this is a fraudulent attempt and that I had reported to each Credit Bureau (all 3) that I disputed the hard inquiries. The last incident with Capital One finally compelled me to voice my complaint as loud and far as it could be heard. 5 of 6 hard inquiries were removed – small victory. But, the 6th hard inquiry that was submitted 10/31/19 was still lingering on the credit report.

I called into the Capital One’s Fraud Department today (12/16/19) to discuss why #6 hard inquiry was still lingering… The representative was curt and abrupt. She saw that I called into the department a couple of times. The first call is 10/28/19 and last call was 11/26, with the representative indicated an account didn’t open and that an investigation was opened and it’ll take 60-90 days to investigate. Only to discover today (12/26/19) when I called that Capital One just started the investigation… TODAY!

There is something truly lacking that it’s taking Capital One three (3) months from the first time I called… or, one (1) month from the last time I called to open an investigation. And, why would the remaining 5 others dropped from my credit report... All I know, this is on my credit report and each week I see the other vendors drop off and my score inches up again, while Capital One stubbornly remains. For a company who got breached and supposedly takes fraud seriously, the actions shown of delaying investigating the 10/31/19 hard inquiry submission and 1 month from the last date that I called to today to start the investigation - this is outrageous. I'm more anxious and angry that it's a 60 - 90 days process to investigate. For this reason, I’m moved to offload my anger as a complaint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I’ve been a Capital One patron for about 10 years, and was very happy with their service until recently. Capital One’s changed the due date on their customer's Credit Cards to the first week of the month when most pay their mortgages/rent. This caused my bank account to overdraw, then when I called to complain they said it takes 2 or so pay cycles before it would adjust, in the meantime I would still be responsible for paying on the conflicting date, and they would not waive the fees they caused, they said I received emails in advance telling me this was going to take place...some people don’t check their emails every day, I never seen it, and I never received a letter. Their policies on fees are so strict, they are willing to sacrifice veteran customers. I’m very disappointed in Capital One. C. **

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

My husband was gravely ill and in ICU. I did not know if and when he would recover. Twice I called Capital One to see if they could give me a temporary reduction on my interest rate until my husband was well. The first time I called the agent informed me that I still had $500 credit on the account that I could spend and she could not help me. When I called back to speak to a supervisor, they put me on hold for an hour and then hung up on me. I have since applied for a credit card with another company and will be transferring my balance. Other companies waived service charges etc to help me out during my husband's illness but Capital One would not even talk to me. I recommend taking your business to MBNA.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

This company is terrible. I was buying a Christmas present across the street from my house and the card was declined for security, for a $70 charge. I had to use a different card. ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE ADDRESS I HAVE ON FILE AT A MAJOR RETAILER. Then the agent hung up on me for being upset about the incident. I cancelled the account immediately and will never use this company again. The agent tried to manage my "feelings" rather than solving the problem, typical lousy customer service.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I wouldn't even rate Capital One a "1 star", I would rate them in the negatives a hundred times over!!!! I called the customer service line 4 times and was left on hold and then disconnected when I was to speak with a customer service representative. I have been on hold for over an hour and still haven't had my issue resolved. When I tried to connect online through Chat the representative could barely write in English. I am not impressed with Capital One right now and am considering cancelling my card. This is very frustrating and a waste of time. I pay my bills on time and am a valued customer. Don't get a Capital One card, opt for a different company, as this one does not stand behind their product.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I spoke to ** agent ID. This boy never understood the reason why I called. He kept on cursing and arguing with me. This was the issue "Maybe people reading can understand and help me." I have always been charged overlimit fees. Before I called to dispute this overlimit charges, I was told to pay 78:40. So I called. Spoke to an Account Manager, she understood why I called. Then she gave me a credit of 120 dollars. But she also instructed me to pay the minimum amount owing - which I did pay on that same day.

The 120 dollars is a year overlimit fee Capital One charged me but she refunded me the money to my account. And I also paid the 78.40 dollars. Since then, I have not made any payment to my account. But they keep charging me for overlimit fees. So I called and I was transferred to this boy **, this boy kept on saying rubbish. Won't let me say a word. I only called because I had a payment due and I am very sure if I made the payment they will still charge me again for overlimit fee. I asked him to refund the charges back and find a solution for this overlimit fees - IT reoccurring month after month but this boy will curse me and argue. I requested to be transfered to another Account Manager. This boy refused and finally he hanged up the call.

It was a very sad experience for me in my life. I called back when he hanged up on me. The customer agent I spoke to keep me on hold for longer than enough and then she said they don't have a Manager tonight for me. So I said I will come online to report this. Maybe the Digital SUPPORT ANALYST for Capital One can help speak to this boy to understand why I was calling instead of cursing and arguing with me on phone. Worst and ridiculous moment.

Capital One Company Information