1.21/5
Based on 346 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

3962 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

First of all I have been with Capital One over 10 years and I've been paying on time. They want you to pay the minimum. Not a dollar more so for the longest I have been paying $45. All of a I decided I wanted to pay $5 more so what they did they added a dollar on there to make me be late and pay late fees on top of that. I got that straightened out and took care of it so I had the representative to make it $60 so I can be ahead. I guess you know they turned around. Made me late again saying my minimum payment was $75 then you look again my minimum payment $100. Turn around the next night a hundred and $24 all the way from $45 minimum payment up to $124. They saying I have been late every month and I cannot get no answer from anyone. They laugh. They hang up.

When I ask them for something they tell me to spell it. I told them I record every phone call of the representative hung up on me because I was recording them no representative can tell you the same thing. I had talk to between four different ones and no one have told me the same thing. I also asked them for corporate number. They said they didn't have corporate number so the last representative tried to give me the address talking right fast and I told him that's okay because I was recording this phone call as well so at this point I am going to try to get in contact with corporate co. wherever they may be and I'm going to make my complaints and I'm going to let them know if I can't get no answer or they do something about these representing to keep changing my payments and keep charging me late fees. Somebody's in this corporation is changing information that I did not change.

Resolution response: Dec. 19, 2017

They did deposit the money back to my account but it took almost 7 days to resolve the issue that is 3 days on top what they promised and also after I called them third time. The actual issue was the rude behavior and lack of assistance by one of the rep that I mentioned in my complaint. I hope they have better people for the job!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I had an issue with the check that I deposited last week. The bank withhold my account as the check, they said came from a closed account. This was not the case though as I verified with the person who issued me the check. After talking to the representative I was told that I will get money in my account by this Friday (12-15-17). When I checked my account, I have $365.42 in my account but I still have no available balance in my account yet. Today (12-16-17) I called the customer service to resolve my issue. The lady transferred me to this number 866-399-8973.

I provided the info. (with my account number) to a lady name rep. Joslyn. She refuse to help and I asked her to transfer my call to a her supervisor and refused, was really rude for no reason and said that I need to call my branch. It was past 12 and on Saturday and the branch was closed so I insisted that, "You need to resolve it," and she said "I hear that you are talking to someone at the background and you need to call your branch". She kept saying it and I asked for her ID# and name. She provided with her first name which is Joslyn and refused to transfer me to her supervisor or even to assist me in any way. This is by far my worst experience with any customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I was overcharged on multiple "cash advance fees" for a purchase I made online, I never used the card at an ATM or requested any Cash Advance. First, they have no chat support option. The website is terrible, the contact section just loops. Called them and the first lady was nice but could not give me a refund. I asked for a manager and some really rude lady did nothing to help and did not seem liked she care, just said could not give me my money back. Told her lost a customer and she could care less. Another greedy bank with rude service.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have been a Capital One Venture Card customer for over 10 years. They sent a letter informing me that they were changing the reward system of their program from what I signed up for (from 2 points per dollar to 1.5 miles per dollar). I called the company and told them I wanted to cancel the card if I could not remain on the same program. They told me I could stay with the same rewards program and gave me a contact person and case number for my records. Four years later, I find they never made the change.

I contacted Capital One and was directed to a representative with Executive Resolutions who investigated the issue. She took more than 3 weeks to get back to me with news that they could not verify the representative's name or the case #. They offered me a $50 credit and 5,000 miles. Considering I spend over $40,000 a year always paying my bill in full, I expected greater service than this and felt like they basically said I was lying to them. I am now looking for a new credit card company who wants my business and will honor their word. I am very disappointed in a company I recommended to others. Beware.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

It's been almost close to a year and they still cannot figure out where they went wrong. I've proven it to them but having all these unprofessional youngsters working for them and laughing on the phone putting me on hold 4 hours has made this a nightmare. I have spoken to supposedly manager but to me they all seem to be high school students that really do not know how to treat matters that are very important to any consumer that has their credit on the line because of these mistakes. I have also read the other consumer complaints and I've noticed that this problem is a ongoing mistakes or maybe they're not mistakes. Maybe that's just the way this company works because I've seen other consumer reviews with the same problems same situations but in different states.

I was willing to even pay off my account 'cause that's what I always do. I don't ever make payments of monthly payments. I just paid all off so that I don't have to owe any money and I can use my credit card again. How is it that I have a $400 limit maximum limit and right now my bill is over $500. Does not make sense. I can understand if I would have like overdraft protection or if I would have a link bank account I can see that happening me going over but usually when I reached $400 it won't let me go any further. It all declined my purchase. Now they are claiming that I called for a dispute. I never called for the dispute yet they cannot tell me who entered the dispute or who created the dispute. They just tell me that I talked to spoke to manager which I did but I did not speak to the manager for dispute purpose.

I spoke to the manager to actually see what I can do because I knew that some money was going to be reversed to my account but it was going to take time and I needed that money immediately so they created they but it was going to take time and I needed that money immediately. So that manager was kind enough to give me $50 in which I quote she said it was going to be customer courtesy. I didn't have to pay it back. With that said she wasn't able to create a dispute because it wasn't a dispute. She was aware of that that money was going to be reversed so it's not a dispute. We hung up the phone. I had the $50 in my account which I am grateful for. Thank you. But then I receive my statement and it shows on the same date that the manager put the $50 into my account it shows as they had open a dispute claim without my consent nor knowledge of this dispute.

So they allegedly claimed that they reversed some cash into my account and that I was able to use it and that I used it for some purchases which is not true. Again I was never aware of this claim that they opened on their own will without my consent or knowledge. I've been on the phone with these people for hours and hours and never get to any conclusions because they're really rude and will even hang up on you. I've also requested to hear my record the recording where I requested a claim and they tell me that I will get a short notice to let me know when it's available. I've never got that noticed.

What I find really interesting is in the beginning of each phone call and let you know that you will be recorded for quality purposes and if you try to do the same for that to them they say no. They cannot take the call. They do not want to be recorded. I wonder why. Wonder what they're worried so worried about and I wonder why they will not take my call. And even if I ask him to speak to a manager that will take my call they say no that no one in this whole building will be able to take a call while they're being recorded yet they can record all your conversations for themselves.

So I think I'm going to take this to another level and let the news cast from my local news take care of this situation and make a little report on this credit card company that keeps wasting my time and never solving my issues. Maybe like this they will consider hiring more professionals rather than these high schoolers from people that are just trying to do their hours for community services because that's what it seems like they're hiring. Is she considered people that are more serious and realize that this is an important issue because it can affect people's credits which I'm sure they probably don't even care about or have. Now if anybody from the Consumer Affairs can do something about this I would appreciate it. And you can also look at my account. I'll let you authorize you to look through my statements and see what kind of payments I was making.

I'm not a person that makes late payments. I was a person that makes full amount of payments but when you have an amount that's over your maximum it puts my red flag. Oh and last but not least I can surely and most definitely guarantee that they write notes for every one of the phone calls in which the year when your number pops out they get to see all your account and notes and they automatically have an attitude without even saying hello yet they're already giggling or have some kind of attitude about whatever question you have. So do not go through Capital One especially if you're the type of person that doesn't really check your statements or doesn't have time to be on the phone for hours arguing about something you did not authorize nor were you aware of.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Paid off my bill in full. Only to get a statement in the mailbox that I owed $2.33 in interest because payments was received prior to calculation of fees. Called twice to different supervisor. Was told by one can write a letter to complain but wouldn't remove the fee. Second supervisor said, "You can only provide feedback. No complaint line or address available. Can't make complaints about bad customer service only feedback to your account." Then I was told, "All cards are different. If you had one of our better cards maybe we could waive the fee." Very bad service.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I just paid off one of my Capital One credit cards and was met with shock when I saw that I was charged additional Interest after the fact. I have always been made to understand that if you do not pay the total balance by the due date, then you will be assessed interest. Not HEY! PAY IT OFF AND WE WILL CONTINUE CHARGING INTEREST!

It may seem silly to be so upset over $10.95, but this is absolute highway robbery. I then call in and was met with hostility after being told that there were no current "offers" to remove fees from my account. Seeing as I have had 0 late payments and have ALWAYS paid well above the minimum, I was baffled by what it would take for someone, like myself, to merit an "offer" to remove an interest charge that I never deserved! I first dealt with a computer for 10 minutes. Next I spoke to someone who could barely speak English and didn't appear to even understand what he was saying. I was assured that they would take care of it and I wouldn't need to pay, he just needed to get me to a Manager.

He transferred me to LISA - ID# ** who advised that I then stated I needed to speak with a manager who did have the power to fix this. I was transferred to Ember - ID# ** in Florida. She immediately said she would be happy to see if I had any offers available to waive this and that offers were created to be fair to all consumers according to the LAW. What LAW states you cannot remove a ridiculous interest fee?? I then insisted on speaking with her Manager. She literally argued back and forth with me that her Manager does not speak to customers, she refused to contact her manager on my behalf and then sat there in silence while I stated I would hold to speak to her manager. She refused to help waive this ridiculous interest!

In what world does a Credit Card company treat a customer with such hostility over a $10.95 interest charge. State numerous times regarding "carrying a balance" like I am a bad customer for having a balance on my credit card?! Last time I checked, my life and balance have nothing to do with my paying off the balance and not deserving ANY more charges on my credit card. I am so livid with this company. I cannot wait to pay off all balances and never do business with them again!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I have experienced perfect OLS & customer service from application until active card services. Working for a bank I personally witness subpar OLS, unfortunately. Capital one’s OLS exceeds any expectation you could ever have. Prompt timelines that are not only promised but executed are simply the most appreciated & efficient “adult life” activities I’m required to maintain. Thank you Capital One for making a part of my life painless. I wish all my apps/business affairs would run so effectively.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I make monthly purchases of $5000-$6000/month (ASPIRE Travel Black Card) and I pay it at the end of every month. Some of their practices drive me crazy. Like for instance I buy a $6 lotto ticket maybe 5-10 times/year but I just found out they're charging me a $5 "cash advance fee" for making this $6 purchase... like wtf!?! Secondly they send me a card with a much lower limit than my previous card. There have been months I've tried to make larger purchases hit a roadblock at Capital One because they refuse to up my credit limit despite having a credit rating in the upper 1% of Canadians. Apparently they don't review limits like every other Mastercard company on the planet. I'm strongly considering going back to American Express.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Me and my husband share an account with Capital One and he is a primary cardholder. It's been more than few times we had a problem to access online account to see the balance and print out the statements. The system update was not working properly and almost each time we had to change password, because the previous one somehow did not work, which caused to late payments and penalties. Last time when we had to change the password again it looked liked it worked, but then another window open with note: "The specified URL cannot be found". It takes too much time just to figure out my balance??? My husband left and I ended up calling customer service for my balance.

They have voice auto attendant system, maybe it good, but only if customers are presented with a clear, natural and brand-consistent voice. If you have some background sounds it's not working, so after 3-4 attempts I was transferred to a customer rep. Due to me not being a primary card holder I could not verify my balance to pay out, only the primary card holder was able to hear this amount. Probably it was not very important that I can use the same account for spending, but definitely I can't pay the balance! Summary: Spend long time to access online account with not successful password change and calling customer service- "resolved" by not getting the balance, not able to transfer money to pay my debt most likely penalties for the late payment.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have had a 20K credit limit and have always had an excellent credit rating and paid anything owed on time. Because I haven't spent on Credit lately - Capital One lowered it by $10K! When I called them - the manager said "it's because we are a conservative company" (as if my zero balance was high risk!) The employees and management were completely clueless as to the reason they actually do things. The other line was "It's because it's our policy" - so no one knows the real reasons for the bank's decisions. I don't recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Do not get a credit card with Capital One - They don't try and help anyone. I went through Hurricane Harvey and they would not refund a late fee during this period because I wasn't "eligible". Terrible, just terrible.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Went to pay bills today and my account password isn't working. So I tried it three times and then the system locked me out. Which is weird because I know I was using the right password. I use the same password for everything. I then call Capital One who proceed to tell me that even though they have my Social Security number, my birthday and all of my information that I’m able to verify they can’t verify me unless I give them my license number, which is now different from the license I had when I signed up for years ago. Long story short without that number they are unable to verify me and I am completely locked out of my account and my money for the weekend.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I am writing to express my disappointment in how my very simple request was handled today. My request for a credit limit increase on a Capital One credit card that, for the past number of years, has been on pre-authorized debit to pay the balance owing in full each month was declined for no comprehensible reason. What a shabby way to treat customers who generate little to no revenue. Shame on Capital One Canada.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I do not recommend banking with Capital One. I went to file a BBB complaint & a note asked that consumers first contact a specific individual in the Capital One Office of the President. Going that route, Capital One ended up stringing me along for several weeks, until I gave them a deadline and said if they hadn't corrected the issue by a certain date, I would file suit. The rep, Leiah, contacted me by my deadline and stated they would be crediting my account the $300 in losses their actions cost me. One week later, Leiah went silent, and I got a call from another employee, David, who stated Capital One would NOT be crediting me the $300 they cost me.

I am not happy about the headache and time a lawsuit is going to cost me. I'd made a $10,000 transfer from my Capital One account. My account was valid, the deposits verified and confirmed. The money had been transferred. The transfer was part of a promotion from M&T Bank that would award me $250 if I kept it in the account for "X" months.

When I got my M&T statement, it showed I had 51 cents in my account. Without my knowledge or permission, Capital One reversed the transfer several days after It had already been transferred. NO NOTICE WHATSOEVER. And for 10 days, my $10,000 was totally missing from BOTH accounts due to this transfer (thank God there wasn't an emergency and I needed access to my money).

Then, to add insult to injury, because Capital One reversed my funds without telling me, M&T imposed two $25 fines for having a balance fall below $10,000. The people answering Capital One's customer service line lied to me and made up stories about the transfer, which I was able to disprove, through concrete evidence. Then, Leiah in the Office of the President strung me along for several weeks using all the right language, assuring me this would be resolved. By my deadline, she eventually confirmed they'd looked at all of information and would be reimbursing me the $300 in losses they cost me.

After a week of checking my account and noticing the funds never arrived, I received a call from someone else at Capital One (David) stating they would NOT be crediting my account the $300. David stated it was because I supposedly had the option to transfer the $10,000 back to the M&T account to avoid the $25 fees. I explained to him what Leiah had indicated she clearly understood: That I could not have re-transferred funds that I was unaware had ever been removed from my account.

One $25 fine had been imposed before I ever knew Capital One had taken my 10 grand, and by the time I found out, I was in another bank cycle, and by the bank terms, another $25 would already be imposed for that cycle (though it had not yet shown on my bank statement, since the cycle had not ended). I then hung up on David, as I am done with Capital One wasting my time. The only reason my account is still open is so that I have access to my records for the lawsuit.

Resolution response: Dec. 11, 2017

It seems that after a month of trying to resolve my issue and after them telling me that I was stuck with the bill I wrote a review here and within 24 hours they changed there decision again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I disputed a charge that was inaccurately described. I opened up a claim on both eBay and Capital One. eBay made a judgment in my favor but explained that nothing could be done due to the fact that Capital One was in the process disputing it. I called and asked for assistance from Capital One and was told to keep the merchandise even though eBay said I could return it because they were disputing it, well time passed and Capital One reapplied the charges and basically said, “Oh well we didn’t tell you that,” even after I supplied all the documentation. This is the worst company to do business with.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I paid my full balance on Dec 6, 2017 and the same day they charged me interest rates for the amount due that I had just paid off for the credit card, called twice and both representative gave me two different stories, these people are full of BS. I do not recommend Capital One to anyone. Go for Credit One that is the best credit card to build credit.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I got my card about 8 months ago and my card has been hacked twice now. My card got hacked less than 3 months after I received my card and again today (12/7/17). Both times the card was used for online purchases. At least this time they blocked the charge. But are you kidding me? Getting hacked even once is a joke. I have had cards from 10 years ago that have never been hacked. This is such a pain to have to reconnect all my accounts that I have put on auto-pay with this card. If it happens again I'm switching to a different company. Not worth having to go through this hassle every few months.

Pros: You get a lot of points (have yet to use it and see if they even honor the points), my credit limit is 15k, get alerts instantly when I make purchases. I have set this to a very low amount so if my card gets hacked I will know. Cons: Got hacked 2 times in 8 months, interest rate is outrageous at 24% even though I pay my entire balance off each month (they increased it from 20% to 24% recently).

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I booked a flight via Capital One Travel using points and also $371.00 and had to cancel due to Hurricane Irma. Their policy was that if you call to cancel within 24 hours of booking, you will get a full refund. I called within the 24 hr time period multiple times and was continually left on hold for over an hour each time. Finally, went to bed, called the next morning and they apologized but phones were busy due to Irma but will not get a refund and they would not return my points. After telling them I would have to close my account, they said they didn't care since they are not Capital One but rather a third party. HORRIBLE company and cannot believe Capital One uses them for their travel. Shame on Capital One and Capital One Travel. Will NEVER use this company for anything.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have always made above the minimum payment, paying through my bank account, all of a sudden two payments returned for unknown transaction, lol. Funny part is I have been using the same bank account to make payments for a year, so long story short, they restricted my account indefinitely and I owe more than my credit limit, which I have never gone over. I am not upset because It could have been worst. I will pay this off and good riddance, I have another account with them, so I'm going directly to the local branch close this account and never look back. This is a scam.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

This company is garbage. Stay far far away. Go through anyone else. We literally have been customers for over six years, and as soon as there is one little hiccup, these minions won't help you out. My wife forgot to put auto payment to her new bank account and they tried to take money out of our old account. The problem with this is we already paid the monthly minimum prior to this occurrence. Now, these soulless cretins won't immediately put money onto our account when our car has broke down and we need a credit card to rent the car I booked. Six ** years and we already paid! I hate this company and I hope it gets sued to death. I will jump on that bandwagon. SCREW YOU CAPITAL ONE!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Signed up for a credit card at the beginning of August 2017. Waited a month the card never showed up... I got the card issued 2 times after that and it never showed up so I kept calling for them to remain it. I cancelled the card and they were supposed to send me my security funds back and they never did so I called them at the end of September. They were suppose to send my funds then I called them October 13th cause they still were not there so I called and got them to remain it again and it never showed up in November... Then I called today December 5th and it's still not here and the person I talked to said they would reissue it... ** I want my money... The worst customer service and experience ever. Does not help that every person I talked to doesn't speak English properly and when asked to speak to a manager I got told there was none to talk to. Now I am getting a lawyer involved.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

In August, 2017, I disputed a charge by a merchant due to their failure to perform house cleaning duties I hired them to do. Initially, I sent in screenshots of text messages exchanged with the merchant wherein they admitted they failed to perform the duties, not once but twice and they even offered a free carpet cleaning service after the second incident. These screenshots were sufficient enough for Capital One to issue a "temporary" credit to my account. The merchant then submitted documentation which resulted in the charge being applied to my card again. (I have asked for this documentation twice, once was in writing, and I have yet to receive anything.)

In October, 2017, I was told by Capital One that I needed additional documents, which included a second opinion from another cleaning company. By this time, I had already cleaned the house myself and moved in so I asked the representative how I was supposed to get a second opinion and I was advised to send in a detailed letter along with date-stamped photos I had of the failed work. I then provided a detailed letter addressing each bullet point along with the date-stamped photos and the previously provided screenshots of text messages, and it was still insufficient.

I had a very uneasy feeling so I decided to pay off the entire balance owed in anticipation of Capital One not issuing a refund. I spoke to a representative yesterday (12/04/17), I was told Capital One insisted that I obtain a second opinion! I immediately closed the account. I have had this account for approximately 8 years and only 1 late payment due to being evacuated for a hurricane and Capital One sided with a merchant over their own customer. Apparently it is very simple for a merchant to charge the account but they make it practically impossible for the customer to right a wrong!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I'm going to cut to the CHASE here (ironically I'm switching back to CHASE BANK) - this is the most irritating bank account I have ever had. Every time I pay the rent or my credit cards or even swipe my card to make a purchase they take the money out, then it shows as a pending transaction, and it tells me the "available balance" but then, they put the money back into the account where it doesn't show like you ever made those transactions at all. A few days later it goes back to pending and you have a different "available balance" because we went on with your life assuming that your initial available balance under pending is what you have to spend.

THEN it finally posts. But the thing is that if you do not have the money by the time it goes back to pending, it overdrafts the account because. I have never had this type of problem with Wells Fargo or Chase. For example, let me give you my current situation: (assuming that I have 1400 on my account) On November 30th, I made a payment for rent with the total of 1200. When I made that payment, it showed on my checking account as a pending transaction, therefore, I was able to see how much money I had left in order for me to know how much I could spend (200).

So, I go about my day and spend 10 in fast food, $5 in ice cream and $20 in gas for my vehicle, which should leave me with $165. The day after that I spend $65 on at a bar with a couple of friends which leaves me now with $100 in my account for me to be able to use. Right? WRONG!!! When going to my account two days later. I had an available balance of $1300 in my account but there was no such thing as pending transactions for the drinks the ice cream the rent or even the freaking gas I put on my vehicle. Obviously, this happened to me before so I transferred $400 from my savings to my checking to use. Because I DID NOT WANT MY ACCOUNT TO OVERDRAFT.

So, I now should be having on my account $100 remaining plus 400 and rent should be taken about with no problem. Right? WRONG! Now, rent is back in pending. Everything else has been taken away and whatever transaction I did from before rent and before my ice cream and drink is taken out. So I actually don't have what they said I had from the get-go. I have less so my freaking check bounced for rent. So basically $1200 DISAPPEARED and I'm gonna be late for rent plus the check bounce fee. Obviously, they close at this time so, I cannot fix my issue.

You going to have to read this a couple of times to understand because it is as confusing for me to understand it and know how much money I actually have in my account. It is ridiculous and annoying. I do not recommend this back to anyone even if they didn't have another option. I went ahead and took all my money out of my savings and as soon I get my direct deposit, I am done with Capital One banking.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

This was my first credit card. I’ve had it for almost a year and it only has a $300 limit on it. I’ve CONTINUOUSLY asked for a credit limit increase which would go to $500. Which is more than enough for my emergencies. But every time they turn me down. It’s just funny that I can apply for a BRAND NEW credit card and instantly get a $1500 limit but I can’t get my limit raised to $500 on this one? Capital One customer support doesn’t help either. I’ve paid my bill on time every single month, my credit has even gone up almost 150 points! I am very displeased with this company and wouldn’t recommend to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

After an hour and a half on the phone trying to report a fraudulent charge, I was told there was nothing I could do and that I just needed to make the balance current. I asked who I go to next and they said, “Hold please” and left me for another half hour. Once they returned I was told there was nothing they could do. I live in the United States and the charge happened in Hong Kong. Evidence was there and they would do nothing to help.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

"Thank you for contacting Capital One about the credit card account number shown above. We looked into your claim and found that it is fraudulent." The above statement is what this stupid company wrote to me about a credit card I've been using in uninterrupted fashion for 25 years. I never contacted them to complain that the card was fraudulent, and no matter how many times I called to explain that they must have made a mistake, they in their infinite stupidity refused to believe me or re-activate my card. Eventually they told me I needed to submit a fraud form and include copies of my SSN card and driver's license. Huh?? To fix their mistake?? No thanks. If anyone from General Motors reads these reviews, this was a GM Rewards Card. Guess I won't be buying a GM car. Ever. "Capital One. What's not in your wallet?"

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I applied for the Venture Rewards card and mentioned to the agent on the phone I had a fraud alert on my credit report. When we completed the process she told me my application was on hold due to the fraud alert and that Capital One would be contacting me. Days later I get a letter in the mail saying I was denied because my consumer alert was not verified. When I called them I was told there wasn't a phone number listed on my Equifax account and they couldn't use the phone number I had provided during the application process to resolve this. I've had this fraud alert placed for years and have never an issue with anyone verifying my identity. I find it very hard to believe they're denying someone with a credit score of almost 800 because of some technicality, very poor service!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Wow, just seen the prior cases and in resolved issues. Still waiting on mine to be realized since September 2017. Take money, bill money but want it back to your account or cancel? The agents are great but it's the account specialist who will make an excuse or try to confuse you then record your request but really won't submit one. They say "It will take 3-5 business days" or "3-5 days business days is really 10 business days??? The request is passed on, let the computer deal with it or it sits in computer until account is in the rears. But your bill cycle and fees are going up daily. By the end of today if nothing is done, I will be closing my account. I will be waiting by today & "CEO OF Capital One in USA/Canada" as well Costco members. This has to be fixed and I advised all customers to CLOSE THEIR ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY and join their competition, you know who!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I had this credit card account with Capital One for a year and a half and I had no history of late payment. When I left the US, I paid off my bill in full from my bank account through the Capital One portal. My bank account was active for a long time and you know what? The payment I made from the Capital One portal got failed due to a technical error on their end and I didn't even know about it (Of course I didn't track my bank account for a while after returning to my home country). No emails from Capital One about the failure of payment or the bill amount due. It looks like they sent letters to my postal address (where I wasn't living anymore LOL). I made sure I sent them an email about my leaving the country and that I have made my payment, of course I didn't receive any response for that.

There was not a single notification about it to me over my email and these guys sent it to a collection agency. I returned to the US after 2 years and received a letter from the collection agency asking me to pay the money due (which was more than twice of what I owe). After thorough browsing of the documentation they had, I figured out that it was a problem from their (Cap One) end. Of course, I settled up the balance (and only what I owed because that was a fault from their end and they didn't notify me over email nor did they respond to my email mentioning the payment either). I have this collection on my account and will be there in the history for few more years. Crappy company! For the past few weeks, they have been sending me letters about good offers on prequalified credit cards applicable for my credit. Shameless people!

Capital One Company Information

www.capitalone.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use