Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.29/5
Based on 1,852 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

4636 Capital One Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have been with Capital One for over 15 years and have a credit line of over $12000 on this card. In a matter of days my trust in this company has vanished completely. I have been traveling abroad and using this card almost daily for 3 months without issue. I attempted to book an Airbnb room and the purchase was suddenly declined. Keep in mind I have booked rooms with Airbnb with this very card 3 times in this country already.

I called Capital One to ask what was up and they said there was a fraud attempt on my account with Airbnb. I assured them that there was no fraud and that it was me who attempted the purchase. What followed was about 3hrs of phone conversations, holds, transfers, and an ever increasingly Byzantine set of verification procedures. It reached the point where I was told that I must text Capital One photos of the front and back of my ID in order to use my card. This must also be done using a phone number I no longer had access to due to being abroad.

All of this and I never reported a single incident of fraud. I felt as though they subjected me to all the checks imaginable until finding the one I couldn't complete. Once found, this was the only verification they would accept. It's like they are scrambling to mitigate risk after the huge hacking scandal. My advice: DO NOT RELY ON THIS CARD WHILE TRAVELING. You will not be able to fix any issues that come up, and you WILL be stuck in a foreign land with no money.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have been a good customer for about 20 years. They have increased my interest rate. I have not had a credit limit increase in over 17 years even though I have a good record with them. I have brought at least 2 customers to them. I am highly disappointed with this company. They say that my account will be reviewed but never is.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

BEWARE of not having ONLINE access to your ONLINE Capital ONE 360 money. Today Capital ONE deactivated my credit card WITHOUT notifying me . After a call to Capital One credit card section and getting no satisfactory answers, I wanted to transfer money out of my other Capital One account, my Capital ONE 360 ONLINE account. Now mysteriously, ALL of my Capital One 360 ONLINE account functions work EXCEPT the TRANSFER money out function. I am now blocked from using the TRANSFER MONEY OUT function of my account. I can see all charges, deposits, all history in my account so I know the account is working quite well, I am just BLOCKED from transferring money. Is this against banking laws? Are they changing their name to WELLS FARGO?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Beware of this company, pure scam on their miles reward program! Here is the truth everyone, that mile you earn is not a real mile, it is only $.01. That's 1 cent 1 penny per mile, so in all reality you are not earning 1 real mile, you are earning one one hundred of a mile that's 1 percent of a mile. So when they lie to you and tell you "Sir if you spend $3000 in a period of 90 days you will earn 50.000 miles." You are only earning 500 miles, that's it, yes what a scam.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I spoke with Hezekiah a billing manager about some fees added to my account and he refused to remove said fees and or let me speak with his superiors. Poor service that should be addressed asap. What a mess.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have never had a real problem with this bank as an online bank. They don't have very many branches but I have been able to do most of what I need to do online. My only issue has been that I could not apply a DBA to my personal account. I don't make enough money to have a business account. It was easy to sign up. When my son was in college, I was able to share an account with him and quickly transfer money to him. There were times when I needed a second account, as an example to put my rent money into escrow or to save money for a vacation.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Wanted to close the account but was not able to do so online. Needed to call in where I was asked to say my full social security number to the rep more than once. Would not need to do that if they'd allow cancellation by logging into account. This is after the data breach incident. Does not appear they take your information seriously still.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Online banking for me is more convenient, flexible, and more straightforward to manage than traditional banking (walking into the bank and doing everything at the counter; deposits, withdraws, bank account balances, etc.). I can transfer money between accounts, pay bills from the comfort of anywhere. I use my bank's mobile applications, which allow me to scan and deposit checks wherever I happen to be. Online banking also allows me 24/7 anytime access to my balances and transaction records, and they will at times send me text message alerts of possible fraud, or a purchase that exceeds my preset limit amount, and much, much more.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I’ve used ING from before it was acquired by Capital One. It has a good interest rate and is easy to use. Now that it’s part of Capital One it is just as easy to use. It allows me to connect to my bank accounts and earn high interest. I like how they verify that your bank account is yours; by giving you two small deposits and asking you how much they gave you. It seems like such a hands on workaround but it makes so much sense. I will keep using ING for keeping my money pretty much out of reach.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

When you try to order a new card and they ask you to sit on the phone for over an hour just to ask you for more info (SSN) and any info to deal with your identity. There should be no reason they need all that info to send you a new card. They worse credit card company out there. Just looking to steal identity for people living in foreign countries....

Capital One Company Information