2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.27/5

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: July 15, 2020

I was trying to have access to my online banking because I was locked out my account so I contacted Capital One's customer service to regain access to my account; I was put on hold for more than an hour and then spoke to a representative who could not fix the issue so transfer me to her supervisor whose name was Joshwa. Mr. Joshwa provided me with the worst customer service I ever had in my life, he was rude and not helpful at all and told me I have to wait 10 business days to just have access to my online access even though I was willing to provide them with any form of verification they asked for and even offer to stop by one of their branches, but still the answer was NO.

I was denied my basic right as a customer to have access to my online baking, Moreover when you tried to pay your balance it keeps giving you error message so you will give up and try another day and eventually you end up paying the late fees easily without any error unlike the error message that you get when you try to pay the original balance without late payment fees. Out of all the credit card companies Capital one is the worst.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I wish I could give this bank negative/ZERO stars!!!! I hate it so much!!! I do not know how they keep preaching the same BS of helping people during this pandemic when in reality they are NOT!!! They tell people "oh sure, not a problem we can deferred your credit card payment until next month." What they DO NOT tell the consumer is that your interests are still accruing during that "grace" period and guess what? When the time to pay your cc comes around they charge interest for the entire balance. What kind of ** help is that?

Besides my $20K savings account, I HAD a credit card with Capital One for about 2 years with a credit line of over $14,000 my highest owed balance was around $5000 and always ALWAYS paid off the entire balance, like most Americans during this pandemic I lost my job, I made the sacrifice to pay the full balance of my credit card BEFORE the billing cycle closed to avoid interest charges, guess what? Capital one charged me over $50 on interests, I called and they could care less if I had paid off my balance or my unemployment status, they are a BANK and they are in the business to make profit! PERIOD! The next month came around and guess what?! They charged me interests AGAIN!!!! WHAT THE F??? I had ZERO balance on my credit card!!!!

I wish I could but I am not in a financial position to enter into legal action with this ** bank, and I hope Mr. CFO is enjoying looking at his "other miscellaneous income" on the P&L - you are now $100 richer capital one! CONGRATS!!! Needless to say, I am very disappointed with this bank, I am a world traveler and have always used capital one for their "free foreign fees" products, NOT anymore, I refuse to give my business to this bank, they could not stand by me when I really needed them, I closed my credit card, that cost me a drop of over 125 points on my credit score!!!! (Read that again, 125 POINTS!!!! THANK YOU CAPITAL ONE!! I closed all my accounts with them and took my savings to an online bank with a higher APY!. There is a reason why finance gurus always recommend to try to make business with small credit unions, these big brick and mortar banks do not give a ** about people!

Original review: July 10, 2020

Updated on 07/29/2020: I/we have never been late 4 years, always paid above and beyond balance, several times. Capital One Refused to work With me. Capital One report to all my credit bureaus that I was delinquent April/May/June/July.

Once I received a full check I gave them and all creditors a little bit. Again I also paid them a 2nd time in June (2nd full paycheck). I called them every step of the way, explain no income, covid 19, pneumonia, world shut down. I applied for unemployment in April, that taken me up to June for a response. 3 months to be denied because I went back to work full time. No back pay. No workers comp, No care acts, nothing, now waiting for a fair hearing. So every other company worked with me, Car Payment company, Car Insurance, Landlord, Everyone, and I mean everyone, except capital One, it's like they were living under a rock!! They I have been on the phone with them 23 times, also from March to June they were calling me for collection, 2 days after I spoke with them, collection calls. I was getting calls 2 to 3x a week from them April, May, June.

Spoke with People who ID themselves as Supervisor/Managers, etc. But still, for some reason they could not get these payment arrangements and calls right. I also get calls, then they would hang up. I am still dealing with them, was advised no payment due until August 21, they have reported me delinquent for the month of July, they received payments in June. It's been a HORROR dealing with Capital One. I do not want to deal with them any more. I FEEL HARASSED, LIED TO, TAKEN ADVANTAGE, ABUSED. I do not want to deal with a company that is so cold and inhuman. I wish someone would investigate them for their practices. I have requested for copies of my cell phone bills and proof of hospital records and payroll stubs to prove my case, they have not responded. Now I am looking for Corporate information to submit to them also, and whoever else will listen.

Original review: March 27 to May 2020 I was hospitalized and quarantined. I called Cap One day released from hospital. Was still on oxygen. Explained was told not to worry hauled customer. My pass 4 years history was excellent. During this crises in my life (whole world also) you would think they would have some protected guidelines set up. They reported me later 60 days. Called several time to let them know what was going on. Employer would not allow me back. When they did it was 3 days every other week. I still had breathing problems. 3 weeks later they gave us one week every two weeks.

End of June I got my full time hours back. Call cap one to tell them. They told me full balance on all three cards were due. $3000.00. Every arrangements seem to keep falling off my account. They reported it to credit report. Cap one was out to destroy my credit history. I asked where are the guidelines for help. The world was shut down. Told it's was a month to month. Advice unemployment denied by employer fair hearing. Workers comp paid only during hospital stay. Etc etc. Called so many times told accounts was not documented. No notes no call into office. Around and around back and forth. All my creditors worked with me never reported me later and have begun to get paid even my landlord was patience. But Not Capital One. They will not get any more of my business.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Had previously disputed late payments and the fact that one of my accounts has not been inserted or reporting to all 3 credit bureaus for MONTHS now I have called numerous times and made several complaints a representative from Capital One's executive office contacted me back in May and I have never heard from her again. I called customer service today and asked Justin ID: ** to transfer me over to a manager and was told it was impossible for me to speak to one. I also asked him to transfer me over to the executive office and was told that was impossible as well. How is it possible that in these tough economic and overall difficult situation we are all facing it is impossible to get any type of help from an institution I've had a relationship for over 10 years.

When I spoke to the representative that contacted me months ago, I explained how being able to move to a safe location being that there were people ill with the virus was dependent on this issue being solved as it was hurting my credit and no one would write me a lease because of it, I was told I would receive a callback and we are now in July.

I would think that Capital One would have their consumer's best interest at heart being that we bring them business especially a long term loyal consumer as myself that has been banking with them for such a long time. I ask that someone please fix this issue once and for all, I have been going through this for months and especially under all these times we are all going through it is unacceptable for someone to contact you months ago and never hear from them again and the same issue remains during a pandemic. I have a weakened immune system because of medications that I take and I have been at risk barely being able to leave my room as a precautionary method I cannot get sick. I have been patiently waiting for this to be resolved but cannot wait any longer.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Our business shut down by state due to coronavirus mandate. Capital One continued to charge late fees and only took requests for payment deferrals if you called in during a specific timeframe. Nationally and statewide millions of people had lost their jobs, forced to close their businesses, and many people without paycheck or never receiving unemployment. Not to mention tens of thousands of people hospitalized, ill or dead. The behavior and policy of Capital One during this crisis is reprehensible and cruel. Loan sharking at this best.

Original review: July 7, 2020

Capital One has without notice changed their interest rules. They are now charging interest on brand new purchases, where in the past they charged Interest on past 30 days charges. So in order to avoid interest, you have to pay off the whole card by the due date. Better cards out there.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I Used Capital One credit cards for many years running fairly high balances and paying a lot in interest. 35,000 to 40,000 out at one time. Capital One began restricting my card accounts and locking them down for only one reason I can figure. I am a state licensed ** grower paying very high taxes to both state and federal governments. If you are a ** producer, retailer, consumer or medical ** user or just believe in fair business practices I encourage you to boycott Capital One and all of its affiliates. I paid my bills on time and they discriminated against me for no reason other than how I make a legal living. If that is not the reason then they should of gave me a reason. They are complete spineless pieces of garbage for treating a loyal paying customer like that. I run a business also and if I treated my customers like that I would be ashamed of myself and out of business.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I've had an okay experience with my card up until this point. My husband and I having been working hard to pay off our debt and of course like so many others it has been super hard during COVID-19. But yeah, we did it and paid over $4K in June to pay off our card. Well just like all cards, the interest accrued during the time from the previous bill until we paid the card off have to be paid which is totally valid and I'm not disputed those charges. I called to see if they could waive the interest charges of $67 which is a drop in the bucket compared to the $4K I just paid in June and since I've been such a great card holder.

I have had so many other credit card companies to help before when we do this, and Capital One just isn't one of those. I even spoke to a supervisor and he couldn't help help me or direct me to someone that could. The supervisor was very nice and I know only doing his job, but to waive only $67 when I paid over $4K last month doesn't seem like a big deal. Not a fan as the customer service isn't helpful nor are they able to help with situations like this. Don't recommend.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I have had a Capital One credit card for over 10 years. My credit score is over 800 on all credit all three credit reporting agencies. I have almost zero debt. I requested Capital One increase my credit from $12,500 to $15,000. The following is Capital One reason for not increasing my credit. - Your financial obligations reported to us by the credit reporting agency are too high. - But all three credit reporting agency show me using less than $50 in credit. Blank Capital One! I will stop using my card.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Capital One just send a standard e-mail that they don't have enough information for a scamming provider. As per my conversation with the Capital One representative today, Iā€™m providing a brief summary of the process I have experience as it relates to my request for a REFUND from Viagogo. I purchased tickets from Viagogo for the Penn Relays on January 24, 2020. Order Confirmation # Cost: ** $131.00, ** $108.00, ** $208.00

On March 26, 2020, I contacted Collin ** (Manager, Tickets Sales & Services concerning the Penn Relays Event April 23 ā€“ 25 2020 at Franklin Field, Philadelphia, PA). He informed me the event was CANCELLED as of March 16, 2020 and I had purchased my tickets through Viagogo. They were a not affiliated with Penn Relays and were a third party. POLICY: "If an event is cancelled ā€“ you do not have to do anything. We will contact you. You will be entitled to a full refund or a 125% voucher." (See Attached) On March 30th I called Viagogo a spoke with a representative. He informed me that a refund would NOT be a problem and I would hear from them soon. I did not receive a response. So I sent an e-mail on April 9th concerning the refund for the tickets.

Summary: I contacted Viagogo via phone and e-mail on many occasions. The following represents correspondence from Viagogo and myself. Below represents a brief summary of phone calls from me to Viagogo followed by e-mails. (See attached)

1. Initial call: Requested a refund from Representative, He indicated that Viagogo had not received notification from the Penn Relays that the event was not cancelled.
2. I sent Viagogo customer with a link form the Penn Relays that the event was cancelled. He confirmed it was cancelled and said he would change the status on the tickets to CANCELLED.
3. Contacted Viagogo again and the representative informed me they had no notification that the event was cancelled.
4. Contacted Viagogo again and requested a supervisor to confirm they have received the information provided. I was informed it was received and would be sent to another department for review. I would be contacted soon.
5. Contacted Viagogo again and requested to escalated this refund request. She reviewed the account and informed me she had received the e-mails and would process the request.

6. Requested supervisor for follow up, Supervisor indicated they have the information, but the event has been postponed to 2021. Not True!!

Not once did receive a phone or response that was NOT a generated e-mail. At this point I contacted Capital One and requested the charges be reversed based on Viagogo refund policy. I was informed by the Capital One representative to save ALL correspondence for 90 days and I would be contacted about my request. I did not receive any correspondence from Capital One concerning this matter. I just checked my account and discovered that my account had been REBILLED 3 tickets. To date. Capital One keep telling me I have not provided enough information, but they don't tell what information is missing. I sent the the better business reviews and the cancellation policy of Viagogo. They ARE NOT ON THEIR CUSTOMER SIDE.

Robert L **

NOTE: Provide a copy of the e-mails. If you provide the original, I can forward to you.

Capital One Company Information