1.29/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 21, 2017

3860 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

After being a customer of Capital One for 5 years I lost my card and my card was used for fraudulent transactions and they refused to refund the money claiming that I was involved in this fraud activity, really what kind of customer service is this? In addition they never offer credit limit increases though I pay my balance in full every single month. My advice to you never apply for it, it's a big headache.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Lying, manipulative, and unreliable. I was manipulated into believing I was applying for something I wasn't. Called multiple times per day to assure the reps to not ship out card unless matter was corrected. Was told every time they would make a note of concern and take care of the matter. Woke up today to email that card was being shipped against my wishes without resolving the problem. Top 2 worst companies I have ever dealt with. Stay clear, save yourself the trouble. Go with Discover, Chase, or any other company except Capital One.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

After 10 years with Capital One, and excellent credit, I learned today that CO doesn't upgrade to other cards! Have to submit new application! TERRIBLE company. BAD BAD BAD deal. Look for another company! AmEx has excellent customer service!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Deny a increase because I have too much credit not use. If I use too much then they tell me I overuse my credit. Damn if you do damn if you don’t. Never call me back. Waiting 5 days had to call them 5 times find out what’s up. Customer service sucks bad.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

After talking with bank representative and she confirming my account officially closed, I checked my credit report which stayed COB reported I was 39 days late on a payment. I called and was told there was $93 balance. After talking with a supervisor she took off charges, balance zero and confirmed account closed. She said COB could not redact negative reporting of a late payment! I am still furious! Avoid this bank like the plague for myriad of reasons!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

We had our Capital One Mastercard for 3 years. We never carried a balance and have excellent credit rating. In 2016 they sent us a letter saying that we could not use it for business use. Why I am not sure. However we complied. Then a month ago my husband went to get gas and his card was declined. When he called me and I looked into it, I was told that Capital One had deactivated my account. The reason was business use. I explained that we actually were just in the middle of building our personal cabin and the expenses were not for business at all. I explained I thought it was horrible that we had not received a letter or a call to even discuss this. My husband could have been left stranded.

I was literally told, that they were within their rights, not to apply again and that because we pay our account in full, they do not make enough money off us in interest and that we were accumulating too many travel credits. I have been escalated all the way to the Ombudsman and told the same thing over and over. I am happy to take my business elsewhere, however think it is important to share this experience and the lack of professionalism of Capital One.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My October statement from Capital One, Costco Mastercard showed a statement due date of the 27th of the month, 5 days earlier than previously. As a Federal Retiree, pension amts. are not deposited until the 28th of the month. This was an onerous change. I contacted Capital One and they said the new date reflected a change in their grace period from 25 to 20 days. I asked for a change of billing dates. No, they could NOT change the payment cycle. Excuses ranged from "system inflexibility" to "something may be in the works". "Sorry for the inconvenience." Not acceptable. If Costco and Capital One can't manage such a reasonable request, then I'll drop the card. Pay debit or use other cards. Here's a thought - why not get a US Costco membership and then they will honor any Mastercard?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Paid my bill 6 days ahead of due date. Used my usual bank account. Their system decided to draw from another, non-existent account (yes, really)! I called them, discussed the issue with several levels from customer service to IT. I was to get a response in 24-48 hours (hah!). To add insult to injury, they're charging ME a late fee.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I made a hotel reservation using BedandBreakfast.com after the sales rep told me he could reduce the total cost of the reservation by applying a $100 FREE GIFT card. This was declined. He then offered an additional $300 FREE gift card. I accepted. I called back 22 minutes later to cancel as this sale made no sense. 3 Minutes later I received an Email stating the ENTIRE sale HAD BEEN CANCELLED. They proceeded to bill my card $168 for the cancelled reservation and $300 for the cancelled Free "gift card." The $100 Free gift card disappeared. As requested, I sent documentation to Capital One - but they want to Accept the vendor's lies!!! They still want me to pay $300 to them when I've been obviously scammed.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Sept 29 Capital One cancelled my credit card without me asking for it to be cancelled. They claimed they sent a new replacement which I never received. It's now Oct 19. They never informed me they were replacing it. No email, no text msg, no phone call. Nothing! The worst part is I didn't realize till now it was the old card I was trying to use until it got declined. So I called to find out what the hell is going on. They gave me some sob story which I did not care to hear. This is the second time Capital One has done this. And probably be their last time to me.

I will pay them off and cancel the account completely. Completely unacceptable. I have never in my life been so embarrassed and felt so ashamed. Here you go out to eat, thinking you good and DECLINE is what you get. My thing is Capital One did not apologize for the inconvenience nor did they admit fault. Over the years I've been becoming more unsettled with Capital One. And this just put the icing on the cake. ALL CAPITAL ONE CUSTOMERS BEWARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had Capital One Venture card. Just open 2 months ago, paid my credit on time and in full. I travel to another state and use the card (of course for everything, car, hotel, air ticket, food...) and of course the card was closed suddenly due to fraud (we received no call, no email, no warning). The card is restricted at first, and when we call they said the card is closed due to fraud activity. We can't reopen the card, the reward (40,000 miles) was redeemed as cash reward ($200) instead of travel reward ($400). Just great.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Worst customer service ever. Charged me 9 dollars and refused to return it for a flaw in their system, which allowed me to submit a payment and then charged me a fee for it. The explanation from the manager on the phone is that this is how they "keep the business checking accounts free". With that logic, I wouldn't be surprised if they have employees who try to steal your wallet when you walk out of their branches, too. Because they essentially steal from their customers. Their customer service is disgraceful, and rather than refund the 9 dollars, the manager offered to immediately close my account. That's a business you definitely want to stay with, right? Wrong.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I received the Capital One Credit Card as a result of Costco switching to them and all I can say is I'm gravely disappointed with Costco and Capital One. Costco what were you thinking... I never had issues like those listed below when American Express was the credit card of choice. The credit limit provided is often too small for most families. When you ask for an credit increase it can take up to a year even when you pay your bill in full each month and have impeccable credit history. Heavens forbid you wait until the last days before the bill is due to pay off your card. We made this mistake once and it took between 5 and 10 days for our bank transfer to reach Capital One.

Recently we received our new credit cards and I've called Capital One on two separate occasions to be on hold for close to an hour. This contradicts the letter that is attached to your new credit cards which says you can activate all automated service. My wait was short compared to many customers but when you are told wait times are 5 or 7 minutes that's not okay. First time I spoke with a customer representative he took my information and eventually put me on hold so I could verify my new credit card PIN number. Additionally I was told as the primary cardholder this would activate my wife's new credit card even though their records stated that her card was already active (weird!). Guess what, neither card activated which lead me to call number two.

The second call was the same as the first, wait, wait, wait and finally an operator. The man was pleasant and apologetic and he claimed the reason things did not work was their database was missing my occupation and employer. Surprise, this information was required to obtain my first credit card and is a mandatory required field when you apply for any credit card. After providing him this information he put me back to the automatize system so I could activate my new credit card PIN number. As for my activating my wife's new card I would have to call back in and go through the same procedure. Not cool! Well when the automatized voice came on it was to enter a PIN for my credit card which was expiring in just over a month. Not the new credit card.

I hit 0 and back into the holding cue for another 25 minutes before I get another operator who refuses to put me to a supervisor. She then takes my info and explains that our new credit cards are no longer valid as they were a promotional credit card. Asking her what this means and she explained that I had until the end of August 2017 to activate. Well reading the form that the cards were attached to nothing said anything about activating immediately or about them being a promotional card. When I inquired what this promotional card was for she could not tell me.

After another 10 minutes of her apologizing and explaining that they are very busy, the letter was incomplete and sorts I was assured that I would receive my new cards within the next business week. She then instructed me if I do not have them by the end of the following week to once again call back. Great, I'll be back on hold and nothing will be corrected. Thanks for nothing Capital One. I would never recommend to anyone and hope Costco will do the right thing and find another credit card company. If not I'll use my debit or other credit cards.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have a Capital One Platinum card and when I first got it 11 years ago they charged me an annual fee of $19. Now people who get the very same card do not get any annual fee at all but they expect me to continue paying the $19 a year. How can they do that? I would get rid of the card but it will hurt my credit because of how long I have had the card. I WILL NOT USE MY TWO CAPITAL ONE CARDS AGAIN. I WILL KEEP THEM UNTIL I CAN GET RID OF THESE CARDS when they won’t hurt my credit.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Capital One On-line access to be removed. Yes, they are modernising their site security. Which means (I have one of their credit cards) that I can only go online if I can give them my mobile number. But I don't have a mobile, don't need one and don't want one. Their response? "Tough luck. We don't want you". There must be thousands in my position. I've not come up against this anywhere else.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I took credit card in 2013 and only spent 355£, paid total 480£ since 2013 and have not used the card since July 2013 only to be informed that I still owe 295£. It's a rip off to customers struggling with finances. How much profit does Capital One wish to make, it means it'll take me another 4 years to pay off making their profit triple than what I borrowed. Ripping off customers. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I've been a customer for over 20 years. In May of 2017, I overdrew my account for the first time ever. When I called to see if there was an Overdraft protection plan, the man I spoke to told me yes. And he told me I could sign up and any time I was overdrawn, the bank would pay my shortage and then let me know so I would not be charged a $35.00 overdraft fee. He explained "We do authorize and pay overdrafts for your checking account and Automatic bill payments." That was it. I was all signed up. In September, I was overdrawn again, but I was charged $35.00. I called and said that I thought they were supposed to cover the amount I was over and let me know, so I would be able to correct it.

At no time was I told that they charge the $35.00 as soon as they detect the overdraft. Why would I have signed up if they were just going to charge me the fee anyway? What would be the benefit to that? It changed nothing to protect me from being charged an overdraft fee. They told me it was written in the contract which I was supposed to have read and signed when I went into the branch to sign up. At no time, did I go into a branch to sign up for this feature and nobody told me over the phone about the conditions of the feature or ask me to sign an agreement or mail it to me to sign.

Now, come September, I made an error in my account and was overdrawn, but thought it would be covered. Then I received a letter notifying me that I had overdrew 4 checks and was charged $35.00 for each transaction. I asked them to close my account and they said they couldn't when it was in a negative balance. But I needed time to call all of my creditors to switch around my payment instructions so I asked if they could just put a hold on any transactions in the meantime. They said no to that as well. So the following week I was barraged with letters practically everyday reporting overdrafts on top of overdrafts. Of course I wasn't doing this deliberately, but they had caused my account to fall into a negative balance because they were hitting me with overdraft fees on top of overdraft fees.

I called customer service and a woman named Andrea was handling my case and explained to me that it was my fault because I signed an agreement when I went into the bank to sign up so I should have known what the terms were. I said I signed up over the phone, I never went into a branch and the terms were not explained to me over the phone nor was I mailed an agreement to sign. I don't know what she was talking about because her side of the story was completely false. So at that point, I had been charged $35.00/ 20 times and asked to please remove them so my account would go back to a positive balance. She said she would only reimburse me for 10 fees. What? I was not writing bad checks deliberately. I had no idea I was overdrawn until I received the letters notifying me of the conditions. So I put $700 into the account to bring the balance back to positive.

However, automatic withdrawals were made and the balance went back into negative and I was charged an additional 21 $35.00 fees. As soon as this happened, I call the bank and requested that they please remove the charges and it would bring the balance back to positive. They said they would have to look into it but would let me know the next day. Well, that took another week and no-one called me back so I called again and they said they were working on it and would let me know the status the next day. Again, I did not hear from anyone. So I called again at the end of the week only to get the same answer that they hadn't finished working on it.

Finally, after 4 weeks, I received a phone call from Andrea telling me that their attorneys determined that they would not be reimbursing me for the overdraft fees because according to them I read the agreement, signed the agreement and did so in the branch. This was a total lie. I don't know where they were getting their information from, but they were completely wrong. Now I am out over $300.00 and don't want to close the account until this money is reimbursed to me. I feel that the bank created this mess by refusing to accommodate me as a long standing, honest and well paying customer. This is an atrocity. Not only am I out the money, but I am totally disgusted with them as an honest banking institution. Can someone do something? Can I take them to small claims court to get my money?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have had a Capital One Spark business card for about 10 years. Never had much reason to contact them and card always seemed to work fine. I use Quicken to manage banking and credit cards and on Friday the 6th a charged of $15 was applied to the account for a missed payment. I spent more than an hour both on hold and getting cut off trying to reach someone but to no avail. By the way this was on a balance of $62. I finally got fed up and closed the account online. The total payment will arrived electronically today the 10th. This morning an interest charge of 5 cents posted to my account. Yes I missed making a payment due to an oversight but the fees charged are absurd and the lack of customer support availability is really bad. All of the ads on TV are questionable. Never again will I have anything to do with them or any company associated with them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I applied for a HELOC and provided all financial information asked for except I had one loan which is to be paid off next year in October 2018 and Capital One asked me to produce bank statements evidencing that I had more than $180,000 on account to make sure I could pay off the loan. They strung me along until the last minute and then denied the HELOC. I asked for 65K HELOC on real property worth $850,000 with a first of $415,000 and was told my account balance was too high and therefore an equity loan could not be given. They knew from day one that those were the balances, yet made me go through all their hoops and I wasted valuable time and effort and provided financial documents I would not have released otherwise but for their pre-approval.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I signed up for the BuyPower card where there was a 0% intro APR. The intro APR expired and I noticed that every month they charged an interest fee of $27.15 for 10 months. I signed up for auto pay therefore, thinking it is good that I am making the payments. When I checked the last statement I received I was in shock!! I was charged a total of $269.99 for a purchase balance of $1274. This is ridiculous!! I called the customer service and asked them if they can waive the fee- other banks that I work with does not have any issues with this!!

They told me first they can waive the last fee then changed their word. I talked to a supervisor named Dejha with ID: ** and she said we there is no fee waiver. I asked her how to earn the fee waiver or what is the criteria to get a fee waiver. She said, "We don't have the info to share with the customer." I told her this is a ripoff and I don't even know why I am not getting a fee waiver, as a supervisor she does not even know why I am not getting a fee waiver. Do not become a customer to this ridiculous credit card company!!! I paid everything online and will close the account once the payment posted. The online system they use changed so I have to re-enroll as if I was not a customer before. This is ridiculous!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Unable to access my checking/savings accounts. This is unacceptable. In light of the recent hack on another large corporation, I have decided it's not worth it to continue with Capital One online. Too risky. They have my money and I cannot get it. They need to change their online websites BACK to the way they were. All you get is a blank page. And I do not TWEET. Sorry Capital One. You lost my business.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Capital One Mastercard has the one of the worst customer experiences on this planet we call earth. I honestly don't know how they are in business. Also, they have tens of thousands of 5 star reviews on their website. Do they know it's illegal to write and publish fraudulent reviews? It can lead to jail time in New York State. I've been placed on hold day after day while trying to activate my Capital One Costco Mastercard. If I didn't like Costco so much I would have bailed. I fear Capital One is hurting Costco's reputation by offering horrid service while being attached to Costco's brand. In summary, Capital One sucks. They must hate their customers with a passion.

When I finally got to a human he sounded angry. He was a man who hates his job. His hatred for his employer, Capital One, their customers and life itself was clearly communicated through his tone of voice. Capital one must treat their employees as poorly as they treat their customers. My recommendation when applying for a Capital One MasterCard. "DON'T!!!" There are a lot of better cards out there. After days and days of calling them I still don't have an active card. Capital One Mastercard SUCKS! If I could give a minus 5 star review I would.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Cheating lying bastard. Signed up for a $500 limit credit card, approved, sent a $300 card. They wouldn't fix it, told me I had to work for what they promised. First payment goes through then two days later gets cancels by them and not even sent back, so they stole my payment and decided they were going to keep it anyway. Then they added late fee to my account because they decided my payment wasn't good enough. Definitely suing these stupid horrible people. I didn't bust my butt fixing my credit for some low life worthless scumbag to ruin it for literally no reason. Can't wait to see them in court.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

When you book a flight with Capital One Reward Miles, be very sure that your plans will not change. I had to cancel a flight booked with Capital One miles, and it took me an extra $200 and several hours on the phone (most of the time I was on hold, or being transferred to yet another person), to accomplish this. I've never had this experience with other airline miles plans. The best way to go is to keep the credit card offered by the airline you usually fly. I will be cancelling my Capital One credit card. It is not worth the "no hassle" hassle.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am preparing for a surgery that will have an extended hospital stay. I proactively called to ask if they had a temporary plan that would not negatively impact me if I was late on a payment while in the hospital. I was given a plan option as my BEST option. What I was not told was that plan would immediately negatively impact my credit report and that in taking the program my credit card would be suspended and I would have to earn it back after 3 months of on time payments. I didn't have a problem making the payment due. I just wanted to be safe while I was in the hospital IF I missed a payment due to any circumstance of complication. Again I was just being proactive in my call to explore options.

The plan that was suggested was not a suitable plan nor, in any way can Capital One support verbally or in writing how this plan was the BEST plan for the situation I proactively called about. Capital One continues to state that this was the BEST plan for my situation when factually when you outweigh the damages the presented plan created was NOT the BEST plan for my proactive call. This response from April from the Account Resolutions Center at ext ** is not only consumer hurtful. Is it downright deliberate in placing a customer in a FAR WORSE situation than if I just missed a payment and called to say I was in the hospital which I what I should have done now that I know all the hidden facts.

Not only is it irresponsible as a company to eliminate the Protection Plan they had that consumers paid for, it is Capital One's failure to acknowledge the fact of customer service recommending deceitful plans that will hurt the consumer far worse that creates such a hateful attitude of contempt for this company. This sleazy customer rep handling should be punishable by law and yet April states that Capital One did NOTHING WRONG!!!

Capital One response
Hi Tabitha,

We are happy to look into the concerns you expressed in your review. In order for us to move forward, please reply to this message with the following information:

Full name
Zip code
Phone number (and best time to reach you)

Any relevant details regarding your concern

For your security, please do not include your account number or Social Security number. We look forward to assisting you!

Capital One

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been a Capital One customer for about 5 years. The card was to help me build my credit. I always tried to make my payments on time, and occasionally, I was a day late or a day early; but did my best. This past March, I called the Customer service department to let them know that I was having surgery and that I would be off of work for 8 weeks. I asked that she please leave a note on my account, as I would miss a few payments because I would not be at work. In the next 8 weeks, I got a few bills stating that my account was behind for payments, and to pay as soon as possible. Once I was feeling better, I called and explained that I did call before my surgery, but was receiving these notices. The gentleman at their end stated that no note was on my account and I needed to pay as soon as possible. I asked for the collection department and we were cut off.

I call again, and explained again, and this time the credit department said to make a minimum payment, which I did. The next month I received another bill stating that no money was received, even though I paid online and has the Con #, so I call AGAIN, and had to go through the whole thing again with a new person. This time I asked to cancel my card. The woman said okay, it was cancelled. I asked that she send me a final bill and I would pay (minus my $75.00 deposit). No bill came for another month. Today I received a BILL stating that my account is overdue, and that my card is restricted!!! The card should be CANCELLED!!! So now I need to call again, and try to figure out why/how my card is not cancelled, and to ask them once again to cancel the card! Why is happening? Where is the business integrity?!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have been a Capital One customer for more than 10 years. I used to highly recommend them and appreciated them always being on the lookout for fraudulent activity and contacting me when necessary. However, in the last year, I have been highly disappointed. It has been a hassle to call Capital One for a variety of questions or to get answers. This was my most recent experience: I got on to pay my bill due in August 2017 on the day it was due. However, the website was down. I kept trying throughout the day and when it finally allowed me through, I was 2 hours past the closing time of 5 pm E.T.

I am on the west coast and still paid in full before 5 pm. P.T. The next day, I called Capital One to discuss the late charge and interest fee that would accompany this even though I still submitted the payment (in full) the day it was due. I could prove that I did in fact get on to pay on the day it was due and so they waived the late fee and interest fee. I again paid my bill in full in September. However, the October 2017 bill arrived and I had yet another interest charge. I called to discuss and they told me there was nothing they could do. Even though they said they could see that I had been paying in full each month. When I asked to speak to someone that could do something about it, the "supervisor" told me he was the highest level person available and he did not have the power to override the charge. However, when I called the first time, I did not need to speak to a supervisor to get an override.

I understand fully the importance of paying on-time and in full each month. I had no prior late payments and have paid in full for the past 10 years. I often over $2,000 on the card each month and pay in full. I no longer feel that Capital One values its customers that are in good standing or customers that have been loyal and have an excellent payment history. Therefore, I will take my business elsewhere and will no longer recommend them to anyone. I'm not sure what is happening with Capital One, but as a customer of over 10 years, I can now safely say they are no longer the best company to give business to.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I will make a long story short. I just needed to add my new wife as an account holder to 2 accounts. This took 90 minutes and 4 phone calls. Their common excuse was that they have a new web-site. Ever heard about testing your new web-site before going public? I have these accounts set up as alimony for a previous marriage. As soon as this support is fulfilled I am also divorcing Capital One. Try Discover bank, they are great!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

This is the shadiest credit card company I have ever dealt with and they could care less. For starters, I have excellent credit and have been a good customer for years. On Aug 25th of this year I had a balance of around $6300 and was charged an interest fee of $61. The next month I checked my balance and sent a payment to cover the entire balance plus any interest that may have accrued which gave me a negative balance on the account as of Sept 12. Now follow this! If I never used the card again they would have sent me a check for the overpayment which was around $130. I used the card 11 more times in Sept which was about $400 so if you subtract the money that was overpaid it leaves a balance of $270. Here’s the bottom line! On Sept 25 they gave me a finance charge of $29 dollars??? That is about half of the finance charge I paid when I had $6000 owing. Does this make SENSE to ANYONE?

After an hour on the phone and being put on hold every time the lady couldn't answer my questions she finally asked what I wanted. I told her to take off the ridiculous finance charge! She said they don’t have a “program” that could do that! I then explained that if it was not taken off I would cancel my account and she said fine. It meant nothing to lose a long time customer with flawless credit over a $29 fee. (Which was bogus to begin with) Well, good riddance. Very unscrupulous company. I would advise everyone to choose another company. Plus, the miles and incentives they advertise are not correct either, don't be fooled.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I did a balance transfer from Chase to a Capital One credit card using the blank check they sent me in mail for zero interest for 18 months. They never notified me to tell me I was approved. Never sent me account info or anything. They contact me via email three months later to tell me I am overdue. My credit was wrecked from this! They did the transfer and put it on my old credit card with 28% interest. $5,500!!! Horrible! I am now paying three months late fees and interest and they tell me on phone because I was set up for paperless billing that there is nothing they can do! I NEVER SET UP PAPERLESS BILLING. Now I have to pay $400 minimum payment this month and have messed up credit! All because of their errors! Company are crooks. Do not recommend to anyone and will never use again. How dare YOU mess up and tell me it's my problem! GTFO here! LIVID!

Capital One Company Information