Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.8/5 (1925 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: June 3, 2021

NEVER move and change your phone number. Disabled, veteran, 70 years old, Leukemia, spinal cord injury, homebound,. Locked out of my 3 accts because they require state id. I can't leave my house. I have what I need for id not good enough.

Original review: May 31, 2021

The Capital One online and app systems are comprehensive and easy to navigate. Checking, savings, and credit card accounts are all right at your fingertips and easily viewed either comprehensively or individually for more detailed info. Big thumbs up!

Original review: May 30, 2021

Capital One has closed most of our local branches which requires me to drive about 10 miles for their ATM or in person banking. They have mixed up my checking account with that of my son's causing his account to be overdrawn. They withdrew money from my savings account by mistake with no apology when I spoke with the teller...just basically said it was no problem to fix. Their customer service was so bad I wrote a letter to their CEO.

Original review: May 29, 2021

The longer I do business with Capital One the more I distrust the company and question its ethics. I have been a Capital One Card Holder for four years. I've always paid my bill on time and in that timeframe I've only filed three or four disputes and I am very active with my card. Each time I filed a dispute I had overwhelming documentation that the company was in the wrong, or that the charges were fraudulent, and each time Capital One's dispute department made it clear to me that the charges would remain and that opening up the dispute was a mere formality. It's like a kangaroo court. The decision is already predetermined and the dispute department is just going through the motions. I booked a hotel room in Atlanta, GA while I was in Dallas, TX. I went off the pictures on the website.

When I made it to Atlanta, the room was totally different. It was in such a deplorable state I could not sleep one night there. Also, it was unsafe. The cabinets were yellow with peeling paint and they were hanging from the hinges, the stove did not work, the green carpet was so soiled and matted it was black and unsafe to walk on barefoot. Some of the lights did not work, the room had a terrible roach problem, the bed was broken and not steady, the comforter on the bed had stains and holes as well as the curtains, the door had a huge gap between where it met the paneling and bugs from the outside could crawl through plus it was so flimsy it could be pushed open with a good shove and there were mysterious, very nasty looking brown stains and smudges smeared on the wall by the tv.

When I saw the room I immediately went to the office and requested a refund. Of course like most slum hotels they said no. I had paid for the entire week off of a bait and switch. The pictures shown on the site did not depict the room accurately. So I took pictures of the room for documentation and left. I called Capital One to tell them about the room and I encountered a very rude, snide, condescending and dismissive agent. He kept stating "well you booked the room" and he did not care that the room that appeared online looked nothing like the room I was given. He also made it clear that if the hotel refused to give my money back there was nothing I could do. He refused to look at my photos and Capital One temporarily removed the charge but as soon as the hotel responded. They placed the charge right back.

Even Though I left the room the first night. I was only given my money back after I posted the room photos online. Then that's when the hotel refunded me. I had also had several instances of hotels placing phantom charges on my credit card long after I had left the hotels for rooms I was no longer staying in. Capital One disputes was no help. They allowed those charges to also remain and I had to threaten to sue the hotels to get my money back. I also had instances where service I paid for was never rendered. Capital one allowed those charges to remain as well.

Capital One has never fairly investigated a dispute. They take the Company's word, or the scammers word - time and time again. It doesn't matter what proof you have, or whether the scammer or business lacks proof - Capital One allows the charge to remain. Capital One breaches their own contract, their own covenant, with their card holders by failing to fairly investigate disputes and by overlooking documentation provided by the card holder. Last, just yesterday I called the dispute department and spoke with Kiana a dispute manager. She also stated that Capital One will only refund if the business agrees and provides documentation stating they are refunding. So that basically says if the Business does not agree - the capital one card holder is on their own.

Capital One credit cards offer no protection. They are just debit cards with high interest. On top of this I had a 700 credit score and very low debt and a I made over $50K a year and my credit limit was a paltry $3,000.00 with a 24% interest rate. For the four years I've had my credit card I have an excellent payment record and I've received no credit limit increase. So Capital One is stingy as hell too.

Original review: May 8, 2021

There was an order for food made and quickly cancelled with the merchant. The merchant proceeded to charge my card after the order was cancelled. I called Capital One to dispute the first time. The representative said all take care of and credited. I was checking my account and noticed the charge reappeared on my account without any notification, call or letter. I called and the automated answering service does not work. Plain garbage. I was on the phone for 23 minutes to dispute an error. Completely unacceptable from Capital One. The charge should have never been added on. The order was cancelled and I was under the impression as my credit card and representative Capital One would be on my side. It looks like you're not. Paying off my balances and will use my other cards effective next month. No more business with Capital One.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Very Poor Customer Service. They do not value the customers and are only interested in their bottom line. I would not recommend using a Capital One card. Their customer service has extremely long wait times and they do not care about their customer satisfaction.

Original review: May 5, 2021

This was the worst banking experience I've ever had, and I've had some pretty bad ones. With Capital One, I started an account. It took weeks to get funds transferred in - failure after failure, and when all that finally got worked out, I couldn't use them for everything. They put a hold on the account and held my money hostage. I called night after night. They'd put me on hold and just leave me there, after transferring me from department to department. There's no other way to get ahold of them other than snail mail. The situation is currently ongoing. If you're going to bank with any organization, I highly encourage you to pick a neighborhood bank, and whatever you do, don't choose Capital One! Terrible service! Totally incompetent. My next report will be to the Attorney General of my state to just try to get my money back.

Original review: April 26, 2021

In this time of Corona Virus, I missed a payment. It is hard to keep up. I was given a fee which Capital One refused to waive. I have paid regularly and called to have this twenty five dollar late fee assessed. I was not given notice to my recollection of a late fee. I feel Capital One should exercise moral character during this economic hardship we find ourselves in. Truly saddened money is replacing morals for Capital one.

Resolution response: April 21, 2021

Talked to them today. Issue resolved.

Original review: April 20, 2021

This Company is gone downhill fast. Worst CSR's I have ever dealt with. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. They are not honest. You have to jump through hoops to get information. Rely on Menu Robo options.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I had fraud at my bank! They were suppose to put a hold on future payments from March 15! They did not do that!!!! I had to change to my good credit card!! They sent my a new Capital one credit card in the mail!!! Which I did not activate! To double the trouble that put it online which they knew everything was hack and that credit card number could be used by the hacker!!!! I told them send me a bill in the mail with the old number. I will pay what I legally owe them!!! I don't want them anymore. They're not honest in my opinion!!!! I pay my bills always. They're not sending me a paper bill so as to add up late charges! My advise get a better card than Capital one! It's bad enough to get hacked then have to fight with your credit card company!!!!

Capital One Company Information