1.21/5
Based on 377 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Last updated: May 23, 2018

4075 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am not getting a bill and I am getting charged a late fee and interest. I have requested the bill several times and received the wrong bill. Today I spoke with a supervisor and she was not very interested in resolving the problem.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Stay away. Have had this card for years. Recently I have been getting late fees even though I’m making payments on time. I pay them the day is due but they don’t process it until another day. Then they refuse to waive the late fee. Last March 23rd called several times to make a payment. Was on hold for 2 hours. Got them on the phone. I made my payment on the due date. Was told that I was getting a late fee. Spoke to supervisor Page. She told me that I had to pay a late fee. I asked, "Why? This is my due date." The answer I got was they had no offers to remove the late fee. Will never use this credit card again. Don’t recommend Capital One. Use Chase. It’s a better credit card.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have had this card since 2004. I have had Black status (>$25,000 per year) for many years. When it was owned by World's Foremost Bank the customer services was exceptional. With the acquisition of Cabela's by Bass Pro Shops, the credit card business was transferred to Capital One. Now the customer services is unbelievable poor. I am working on scheduling international travel and my card continues to get blocked as suspected fraud for simple transactions. I have called customer service three times in the last two weeks in an attempt to resolve this. Each time I am told the problem is fixed but it has yet to be addressed at all. Seriously considering canceling card. I like the cash back for Cabela's purchases and also like keeping card turnover to a minimum but need at least D minus customer service commitment and see Capital One as a long way from even getting there or caring about getting there.

Original review: April 17, 2018

On 4/7/18 I paid off a large credit card debt to Capital One credit card. I looked up the balance and paid it off according to what the balance showed. On 4/18/18 I made a payment of $1.00 because I was short by $1.00. On 4/16/18 I get a bill from Capital One for $62.00 for interest. I called them and told them I paid it off according to the balance and they told me that the 62.00 was interest that was accrued that wasn’t included. I ask them to waive in and they refused. They said there were no offers on my account to allow them to waive it.

I have had the account for at least 12 years. Never missed a payment. Great standing with them. I spoke to Supervisor Joy who told me she could not waive it. I asked for management and she said they don’t take consumer calls and you have to write to them. I will definitely be doing that. I am closing the account with this company and I would not recommend them to anyone. I had the same situation with Discover card and they were a awesome and waived the interest charge. This was interest not a purchase. DO NOT USE THEM. THEY ARE AWFUL TO WORK WITH. They are very robotic with their answers... no flexibility or willingness to work with the consumer.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I really needed to repair my credit... I did some damage with student loans. Within 5 months of using my Capital One credit card, my score improved so much that I was able to apply for a Scotia Bank Visa online with no problem! Within 5 days I had a new Visa with the limit I requested. Great card to rebuild credit!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: April 17, 2018

I made an agreement with Capital One for payments to bring my balance down. After I paid a certain amount, my card would be unrestricted. I made the first payment. Then, I was able to make a payment to bring my balance down a considerable amount, more than the agreed amount to get it unrestricted. They told me once I did that my funds would be available the next day at 8 am. That morning they weren't available so I called. The person told me they would be available the next day at the same time. Well, they weren't! So, I called again and the person told me of course the next day. I must have asked him 10+ times if he was positive and he said yes. What do you know they weren't available! For six days I've called them and every single time they say the next day at 8 am and the funds aren't available.

I called my bank and the payment went through, they took the money out of my account. I called today and went ballistic. The guy said because of my past payments they were checking to see if the payment would go through, but the money is gone from my bank account!!! Also, all of my past payments have gone through with no trouble. It doesn't make sense!! Also, on the Capital One app it says the payment went through and my balance is down. Most of the things they say to me don't make sense. Again, the guy said the funds will be available tomorrow at 8 am!! I'm so sick and tired of being told one thing one day and the next another and different reasons each time. It's also frustrating talking to the people. Either they speak horrible English and are not very bright or they have heavy accents. I've NEVER been lied to so many times from a company. The worst customer service. They obviously do not care about their customers.

I needed my funds to be available today for a very important reason!! I've never been this angry. I got into a horrible car accident yesterday on top of what's going on with these complete jerks. I'm having the worst 2 days!!! Also, seeing the complaints on this website shows me they don't care about their reputation. They just want to keep scamming and ripping people off. How do they get away with this crap?!?!

Original review: April 16, 2018

DON'T TRUST CAPITAL ONE - QuickSilver - ZERO STAR - BAD EXPERIENCE. They are a liar. They said if I open my account and spend $500 on purchases within 3 months, they will give me one-time $150 cash bonus and cash rewards for every dollar I spent. I did, I met the spending and time requirement. They decided to close my account and said my cash bonus or cash reward was forfeited because the account is closed. They lost their credibility with me. How can a big company do such thing, no integrity. They are FRAUD! I called them, they said there's nothing they can do about it. They said it states in the user policy that they can forfeit anytime, knowing that most consumers don't read or understand them when they read the policy. They set us up so they can fraud us. Please pass this along to your friends and family to educate them for being taken advantage of.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Recently after paying a credit card balance in full to these people, I was contacted by their fraud division. They couldn't tell me what it was about until I jumped through their "hoops". As I live in a cell phone "dead zone" and have limited computer capability, I could not comply with most of their requests. They settled for a FAX of driver's licenses. The following day we were notified that this was inadequate and they needed repeat faxes of identification, social security card and proof of residence. For several days now, my account has been frozen. I just want to them to return any overpayments and close my account, but they refuse to do so. I have an impeccable credit record and I am not used to being treated like a criminal. Stay away!

Original review: April 15, 2018

My debit card dated 05/19 as expiration was declined when I tried purchasing goods and Capital One bank is telling me the card expired about a day or two ago, when I called nothing could be done, the only Capital One bank in my area is closed, so am supposed to wait for 5 days before I could feed my family.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Very bad customer service. About 4 years ago when I was rebuilding credit I got a card with them with a very low credit limit. It was about $300. I kept it for months charging a few things on it and making payments. My credit rating had jumped way up since I got the card and I was getting offers for cards with much higher credit limits. I called to ask for a credit line increase. They declined saying my balance on the account was too much based on my credit limit. I had about a $75 balance. Since my credit limit was $300 they considered my balance too high. I thought I was doing good keep a balance to make payments and keeping it low. So then I kept my balance at less than 10% of my credit limit or $300 so I had to keep my balance below $30... ridiculous.

After about a year I asked for an increase again. They then said I was not charging enough on the card. I couldn't win. I no longer needed this card and canceled it. Within a few months they sent me an offer with a credit line of $7000. Made absolutely no sense. Recently I called their customer service regarding another credit card offer I had from them. They had me go thru all kinds of voice prompts to get to the correct dept. When I finally finished making the choices from their many menu options, they informed me that they were closed and to call back during regular business hours. How about telling customers that you are closed upfront Capital One? It's very inconsiderate to have people waste their time going thru all the menu options only to inform them you are closed.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I've been a loyal customer of Capital One for years and have paid a substantial amount in interest and have not scared because I love them; however, I reached out to try and get a little assistance and three different people one of which was a supervisor lied to me saying they don't provide the type of help I asked for. This completely blew my mind with frustration and just cannot believe that they were not able to help in any way, shape or form and lie about the whole situation. Just completely unprofessional and makes me don't even want to utilize my Capital One account any longer or recommend this to anyone again. I really hope that someone might be able to take into consideration and maybe at least reach back out to me and maybe trying to explain why I was lied to and just treated like a un-valued customer. Truly sad!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I have informed Capital One I am not working but plan to return in early May. Apparently this is not enough. Relentless calling even after 9 PM. I am at my wit's end with these people, but I guess that is what they want so as to break you down and even borrow the money to pay THEM. Also they have totally destroyed my credit rating.

Original review: April 13, 2018

How awful to just throw a good customer away simply because they entered their payment incorrectly. First, I live with & share expenses with someone. I told them NOT to touch the $ in my bank because I had paid an extra payment to CO to generate reward. It was returned because they did remove money. Then, this month my income tax was coming in so I hurried and paid off both of my cards. I selected the wrong day and it didn’t clear. As SOON as I found out I resubmitted and it cleared. Now... That being said, my payment was NOT even due, I have NEVER been late, and I almost always pay it off or above minimum. Well... They closed both of my accounts. I am brand new to credit. I only got my first card in June of 2017. I didn’t know it was a big deal. I looked at it like an extra payment to help establish credit and if something went wrong and it didn’t clear then I could just re-do it.

Things happen, but no, I get lumped in with people that intentionally miss payments or use bad checking practices etc. and now I have had both of my cards with CO closed. Thanks a lot CO for not even giving me the chance to get even a warning shot. Banks make mistakes. I make mistakes. I live in FL where we went through hurricane destruction. Etc. Etc. They lost a good customer because I have PERFECT credit. No “baddies” and 000 late payments. My TOTAL CC debt is $1,700. I’ll be applying for a REAL CC as soon as my very new credit gets better established.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I made a payment this evening, during the call the automated system said my payment wouldn't post until tomorrow but it's due today. I spoke with a csr who informed me that there was no late fee already posted to my account but there may be one in the morning. Wtf?! My bill is due the 12th, paid the 12th and on the 13th, I'll have a late fee. Great way to treat your customers!

Original review: April 12, 2018

My husband passed away in January 2018. My husband received a bill from Capital One. I called and they said I was not responsible for the bill, my name was not on it. Because of this bill Capital One put a lien on my husband's motorcycle that I am trying to sell. They told me I would have to make some payment on the credit card. I offered 500.00 (having just lost my husband, many medical bills and a mortgage, it would be tough.) They refused my offer and said I had to pay half the bill. I asked them to send me a letter per our conversation, that if I sent them half the money I would get the title. They refused. It's not their policy. I was advised by my attorney not to send the money. I tried to work with Capital One and they just wouldn't work with me. They won't even repo the bike. I was willing to make a payment on a bill that is not mine, and you guys wouldn't help. I hope to hear back from someone, if Capital One cares at all. Thanks.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My experience with this company has been like the majority of other reviews left by their other dissatisfied customers. Capital One recently sent me an email approving new car financing. This is a new tactic. Up to this point they were just wasting paper by sending me these loan offers. Most of these offers were sent with postage paid envelopes that I promptly filled with all the paper they sent me, not filled in of course, along with the envelope they sent it to me and mailed it back to them. I don’t care how much it cost them in postage. I am so disgusted with this company. You see about 7 years ago my mother passed away unexpectedly. I needed an increase of my credit limit as my limit is a low 1500.00. My interest rate is so high and it has been very hard to pay more than the minimum amount each month. I only asked for the amount of a plane ticket. That’s it. Nothing more.

I wasn’t surprised at all when they said they couldn’t help me. I was even in tears as I was trying to ask to speak to a supervisor to see if they might be able to help me. I was promptly told, “no”. I’ve had an account with them for a very long time. They have never lowered my interest rate when I ask either. It’s very hard to talk to anyone because communication is hard. I’m sorry but, if I became your customer while living in the United States you should provide me with English speaking customer service reps. They don’t understand me and I don’t understand them.

They have the worse customer service I have ever had. They are not caring, do not show sympathy, empathy, or reward loyalty. They are all about the money. I’m so dissatisfied with this poor excuse of a company. They wouldn’t help me go to my mother's funeral but approved me for car financing. What a damn joke. I will never apply for anything with them again. This card will be paid off soon and that’s it.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My normal credit card payment was posted March 23rd. Decided to pay off the amount on the 28th; with a post date of March 29th. Between March 29th when I paid the balance in full; I was charged $90.26 interest AFTER I paid the balance. The customer service Rep., Kevin, stated that since it was my first time paying it off (which it wasn't - I did pay it off in a large lump in 2008/2009) that I was required to pay another full month's interest. The interest was as of April 5th (one week after I paid the balance in full). I had been a member for decades. Thank you Capital One for making it easy to use a different company.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Capital One is a terrible credit card company. I had a zero balance at the end of the billing cycle. When I called to inquire why, I could not understand anything the representative was saying. The dialect was horrible. I asked to speak to a supervisor and explained that I had a zero balance and was still being charged interest. The bill was actually paid almost 2 weeks prior to the end of the billing cycle. Mind you, I have never been late and I always paid double and sometimes triple what the amount due would be. I was told that the interest was from the prior month.

I still am quite confused, but nevertheless they have received the last $34.12 from me. I am only keeping the account open because I have excellent credit and the available credit is fairly large. But you best believe they will NEVER get any more interest from me. I will only charge less than $5.00 once a year, just to keep the account open. This is very bad business practices at its best. I would never recommend this sham of a company to my worst enemy.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Capital One Quicksilver card - Capital One has extremely awful customer service. I have been given misleading information multiple times, outright lies & falsehoods. The Outsourcing to third world countries to answer the phone is unacceptable in Today's Times. You don't understand what they're saying & they don't understand what you're saying. That's Awful. I have nothing against the Hindu Indians from India but I am a United States citizen & we speak English here in the great old USA and if you want my business I expect more when I'm calling in to ask question.

First and foremost someone I can understand what the hell they're saying. I have been a customer since September 2015 & I have made over $30,000 + on payments & never once have I received a credit line increase. Yet they had the nerve to tell me, "We give out credit line increases to customers that don't even ask for them" & they had the audacity to say, "We even give customers that are currently over their credit limits/credit line increases". Totally outrageous. I filed a formal complaint with executive customer care & all they did was apologize & credit my account a lousy $100 bucks.

All Capital One is good for is high interest and low credit line. That's the bottom line. They will straight out lie to you over the phone and they will tell you falsehoods. There's no light at the end of the tunnel at Capital One. If you have decent credit I highly recommend you take your business elsewhere. This is a predatory outfit like Wells Fargo Bank modern-day snake oil salesman. It's all about the money and smoke & mirrors to achieve maximum profits. They don't give a rat's ** about their customers.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Capital One Bank customer service has gone from Great to horrible. Last 3 phone calls I made to their customer service team has been horrific particularly with employee number **. His manager Henry employee number ** act like he was helpless, no empowerment and no demonstrated no real remorse. I guess this is their norm now treat customers like they don't really matter.

Original review: April 7, 2018

You idiots updated my account address 5 months after I asked you to and now you're telling me I can't change the payment date 3 days after you guys chose one for me. I'm paid Friday 2 and you chose a Tuesday. Who the hell is that convenient for? I get direct deposit and no way will I ever be paid on a damn Tuesday. Stop ** up everyone's credit and help. No one wants a creditor out to get you, you idiots. You don't even have cashback and perks on this damn card and I had it for over 5 ** years! Treat your customers with care idiots.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have been with Capital One for a year, and they keep denying a credit line increase due to a returned payment they say I have on my account. I have never had a late payment posted to my account, and have had a 35,000 car paid off through them. They have also pre-approved financing for another new car. This is so ironic because there is no returned payment and you can approve a new car but deny a request for a credit line increase. You cannot speak to anyone who can review account to resolve this issue. I am so disappointed in Capital since I have two credit cards with them.

Original review: April 6, 2018

In 2015 my father passed away. My mother who is now 93yo had only one credit card (VISA) she wanted and we worked to get her set as the primary on that card. My folks had several other credit cards, many of them expired or dormant. My sister and my wife both returned those cards cut in two to the respective card companies. One of them was a Capital One GM World Mastercard, that had been dormant since 2010. I remember that card because my folks got it specifically to use points to buy a GM car. When they were told it could not be used to buy a Saturn they stopped using the card. I am the POA for my Mom as she is 93 yo and has vision and hearing problems and cannot write checks or pay bills. I now pay all her bills, they come to me, I live 250 miles from her. We both live in Florida. She barely leaves her condo.

Flash forward to Feb 2018 and imagine the surprise when I am forwarded a statement for this Capital One GM card that is now suddenly reactivated and has a charge for Origin Energy Holdings Adelaide in the amount of $19 AUD. She did not reactivate the card, nor make a purchase in Australia. So I contact Capital One straight away to dispute the charges and inquire how to get a POA filed on the account. My concern is how this happened so that we can prevent other fraud. I am given a "secure web portal" to upload the POA documents, which I do, I have sent a similar packet successfully to several other banks with no problem. Nothing missing from my package. In return I got a confirmation number and a manifest showing that all the files in my packet were received. I was told it would be acted upon in 24 to 48 hours.

By Florida state law, a bank has 4 business days to approve or deny a POA request. To make a long story short, I have sent this request to three different locations at Capital One and no one can find it, nor has anyone called me. I did send a reminder letter to "general correspondence" and they did not bother to read it, they simply sent a form letter back requesting information already sent plus questions irrelevant to a POA like my citizenship and income, employer and such. I have made dozens of calls, spent hours on the phone and no one will help me close this account and restore my mother's credit standing.

This is a terrible company that seems to have a business model to provide credit to lower income and minorities (we are neither). The comments I see by others reflect a similar level of frustration and folks being denied money that was hard earned. Capital One should be shut down. I think it is operating like Wells Fargo in that someone reactivated my mother's account surreptitiously. It is an organized crime operation.

Original review: April 4, 2018

They recently closed my BuyPower card because there were a 2 or 3 payments that got returned, right? I was pissed about that because I had been making payment successfully and on time for over a year. Wrote a review about that card and I won't get into it because it'll just make me ever more upset, cause they obviously care nothing about your loyalty. But when I spoke to them about it, I SPECIFICALLY asked, "Will my other card be affected by this?", they said "no". Then, much to my surprise, I wake up this morning to find that my other card has been closed. When I asked about it, they said that if one card is closed, so are the other cards as well.

I have been jerked around and lied to so much in a month time span by this company that it is actually ridiculous. Do your self a favor, don't get this card. They don't care anything about you as a customer. All they care about is figures. Doesn't matter if you're loyal or not, in the end they screw you over and say "sorry, for the misunderstanding". I made the mistake of getting one of their cards when I was on my own for the first time but it's not too late for you. Don't do it. If you REALLY want my suggestion, go with a credit card from Bank of America. THEY actually care about you and work with you, at least in my experience.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Terrible card. Customer service is all scripted. You have to pay your card earlier than the due date. You get late fees for paying the day of. Customer service can't help you because they are only allowed to read their script. I'm so frustrated!

Original review: March 31, 2018

I got this card to build my credit, instead, they cost my credit points because they wouldn't replace money on my card that was stolen by a criminal company. Four times over four months they allowed another company to take $25.00 out of my account. My card was MasterCard Canada; the company that kept on taking my money out was MasterCard U.S. Go figure!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Thanks for taking a small chance on me as your card holder! I wanted a card that could help me build trust and credit at the same time. Keep up the thoughtful customer service Capital One, always good to know y'all have the customer in mind when developing products. Yes! I’m loving the APP, and how easy you can personalize it, I’m all about customization!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I called Capital One for assistance in January for a charge I was disputing for a camping reservation I canceled. Never received my credit. Have called back 8 times since January 16th only to be told today they need me to submit my original charge of which they should have since I can access it online. If you needed that information, do not wait 3 months to ask me for it. Still going around and around over a charge that should be super simple to take care of. Capital One does not have your back or provide the consumer with the protection we deserve. Everyone should cancel their cards and pick another service provider that cares about their customers.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Back in September of 2016 I lost my job and became unemployed and did not receive unemployment benefits. I expressed this to Capital One being that I had a credit card with them with a 500 credit limit and they insisted that my account will be fine. I missed December & January 2017 30.00 payments and once I got a job and paid them on 1/28/17 I realized my credit score went from 680 to 450! So I called all three credit agencies and they told me there is nothing that will bring my score up to 680 besides Capital One removing those 2 missed/late payment of your credit report!

So I called Capital One and spoke with over 20 supervisors who told me they cannot removed negative remarks off my credit report until I stumbled across one STUPID supervisor who told my Capital One does removed negative remarks off people credit reports. It just depends on the situation! The manager then refused to explain why my situation did not apply and became argumentative! There is nothing you can do in America with a 457 credit score not rent, take out mortgage auto loan nothing and they are quite aware of this!

So I kept calling and finally got a supervisor who told me she would have the two late payment removed from my report so I waited 30 days. After 30 days Equifax updated my score back in the 600's and the Capital One late payments remarks were gone! So I check TransUnion and Experian only to see my score with them was still 457. So I called back AND ASKED WHY WAS THE LATE PAYMENT REMOVED ONLY FROM EQUIFAX?

The manager then told me she will resend out to TransUnion and Experian to remove those negative remarks making my score 457. You should guess what happened in 30 more days!!! Yup! All 3 agencies now have my score at 457! Yup even Equifax who just had my score at 680! So the manager keep lying to me from 1/01/2017 until 5/5/2017 saying they will removed the score after at first they said they couldn't but still haven't and giving me the runaround! I have wrote numerous letters to corporate which they said were abusive after ruining my life lol and now they saying none of these 1000 existed!

I am permanently not able to do anything because I missed 2 30.00 payment with Capital One due to me being unemployed which they already knew and still told me I was fine! They are the only ones that can fix this situation yet they refuse to! I even contact 5 lawyers who refused the case because the payment were only 60.00 $ and the credit card max is 500.00 which shows how disgusting they are! Had someone score dropped 300 points for 60.00$ and measly 500.00 credit limit! May all people who work for Capital One burn in hell! They are a evil satanic company! May their kids, kids, kids, kids kids suffer! Still not resolved. SCREW Capital One. Spoke with someone on 3/28/18 who said they will not fix it!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Called Capital One to request a lower interest rate as every few months they are increasing my credit limit. 7 years a customer, never a missed or late payment, paid off over 8,000 and carrying a zero balance when I called. Their offer? 20% APR for 7 months... Then back to 24.9%. They have raised my lines of credit to almost 10,000! Would charge any significant amount on a 20 - 24% rate? My credit union is offering 7.9 - 14% Thanks for the insult Capital One! I closed both credit accounts, am transferring my Roth IRA and closing my Capital One investment account and will close my Kohl's account that is also through Capital. I won't appreciate any company who doesn't appreciate my hard earned! My credit union thanks you too... They're getting the new business!

Capital One Company Information