Disclosures
Capital One

Capital One Reviews

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts
Cons
  • Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Capital One Reviews

Stars Rating

• 2%
  • 0%
  • 1%
  • 6%
  • 91%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?
    Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed May 22, 2024

Capital one is the absolute WORST credit company. Their service is simply horrible all across the board. I have 8 cards (Amex, Chase, Capital One, etc). I decided to close one of my 2 capital one cards after deciding to end my relationship with them after continuous horrible experiences with their services. The card had a - balance of $1300 because I always pay my cards of immediately and often over pay them to keep my balances low. After closing the card I noticed capital one blocked my access to the account showing a nice “this account has been terminated” warning in the app XD and after a month I realized they never send me the back the funds they owed me or added it on my other account with them.

I spent 2 hours on the phone before finally getting connected with someone in India to discuss the issue; he then said they would “send me a check”. Now, another month later they still haven’t send me anything, and I’m again on the phone with someone in India who claims that I never requested the funds back so they haven’t send it yet. XD

Profile pic of the author.
    Price

Reviewed May 21, 2024

Terrible card/company!! A total rip off. How is this legal? This company is charging excessive fees on a low limit card. Worst mistake ever getting this card. I would NOT recommend Capital One to anyone!

PriceStaff

Reviewed May 20, 2024

WARNING FOR ALL SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS- DO NOT USE CAPITAL ONE FOR YOUR BUSINESS BANKING! You cannot count on them. Capital One hates single working mom entrepreneurs! Or at least the way they act harms us. I am a realtor in the Chicago area and have a Capital One business checking account. They are closed it without telling me why- because according to them, they don't have to. If there is anything they find out of compliance, I would be happy to provide them documentation, but they won't let me do that. Capital One has decided that my account isn't compliant and closed it WITHOUT notice! I will get the funds mailed to me in 30 days. I wonder how they would operate without any business funds for 30 days!

I am an honest, hard working person with two beautiful sons and I can't believe they would do this. I guess I don't make enough money to interest them? I wish I had known about this before I made the switch. I thought this would be great, I have the cafe to meet clients and they are a national bank that must operate well. HA! Joke's on me. STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL HAVE A MAJOR HEADACHE WITH THIS BANK TOO! And, of all people, we can't afford institutions that do greater harm than good to small business owners. Please heed my warning.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 20, 2024

These people are absolutely horrible. I paid thousands off my card and the payment processed and was posted 4 DAYS before my Statement closing date and they still charged me interest on the amount prior to my payment! I called and was told lies as to why they did that, spoke with a "supervisor" who even agreed that shouldn't have been done and she said she'd call me back the next day. Never happened. Called and spoke with another supervisor and he was extremely rude and literally hung up on me. Stay away from these unprofessional people! Use Citi, I've never had anything but good experiences with their credit cards!

Reviewed May 20, 2024

Capital One is extremely greedy. They charge a super high interest rate. I am trying to pay off my balance and I pay more than the minimum each month, but the interest rate adds $138.00 my credit line is $6,500 and I owe 5,200. I can't pay it off with such high interest from 27 to 38 apr.

PriceStaff

Reviewed May 20, 2024

I am a long time good standing Capital One customer with 3 cards. I thought they were great until I paid off one of my cards.. I got a bill for $4.21. I called them. They said it was interest on the balance I paid off and I should have called to get a the real balance before pay. I was outraged. It's not the amount. It's the idea that I'm charged on a balance I don't even have. I asked to speak to a supervisor. They refused to refund the charge for a long time on-time customer, with great credit and with 2 other cards. I will will be paying off all my cards and giving someone else my money from now on.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed May 15, 2024

I would give it a zero if I could. DO NOT do business with this bank. Especially for a credit card. They will close your account and claim you did not provide income or employment verification even after you have on their website. When they close your account and you ask them when the last update was made to the information they requested they cannot tell you because they do not track it. They will then refuse to reopen the account and will report it negatively on your credit report. This is the most dishonest, worthless customer service bank I’ve ever dealt with.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 14, 2024

If you want to save yourself aggravation DO NOT do business with Capital One. I won't be ever again. The customer service is awful, In previous conversations they would not put a supervisor or manager on the phone. It was a complete run around. When I finally got one (who knows if it was even a real supervisor or manager) on the phone the connection was so bad it was ridiculous. I mean it's very clear Capital One does not care about their customers with such poor customer service. I'm so relieved my bill is paid off and account cancelled, I couldn't do it fast enough to get them out of my hair.

Price

Reviewed May 12, 2024

The card is a rip off. I got it to help my credit but it charges you for the dumbest stuff. I paid my car note with the card and they charged me $15 and some change as a cash advance payment that doesn’t make any sense and will not give me my money back. Pay my car payment with the card is not a cash advance, I don’t even have a pin number for the card. That’s why I have the bank account in the cards with them but my money is elsewhere. I’ve been a long-term customer of Capital One since 2014 and that is ridiculous. $15 to use your card to pay your car payment, that’s ridiculous. Well, it won’t happen again.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 11, 2024

This "credit" card should be illegal. Their tactics are vile. They will hound you will emails, calls, and text messages until you cave. Then the payments will be endless, because no matter how much you pay, you will never get ahead! I went from a 715 credit score to 515 after opening this SCAM of a card. I made on time, over minimum amount payments and my score decreased. I want to pay it off and close the card, but actually speaking to a human is impossible! DO NOT get this card! Go through your bank. T

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 11, 2024

Terrible customer service. I tried to dispute a charge for a service that had been canceled. They paid the vendor anyway. I would give a 0 if possible. Don't use their cards. They don't care about their customers.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServiceOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed May 7, 2024

Capital one straight up STOLE the $250 promotional offer that it “gave” to me for opening a Credit Card with them after 4+ years I had my truck loan with them, I FINALLY opened a CC with them after receiving offers for one over those 4+ years. I paid my USED vehicle with them (that was offered through the dealership at the time) and when I actually needed another CC and they had the $250 promotional offer, I applied and opened the CC account. I had almost perfect credit with them and had almost no debt. They required to spend “X” amount in 6 months time to get the $250 promotional offer. I needed building materials for a large job and I only spent about $1,200 for everything I needed which was about double their required amount for the offer. Note I still had about $6,000 left to use on this card after the $1,200 purchase!! The next time I tried to use my CC less the. 10 minutes away from my home they had locked my account!!

They said that it was to ensure I was the account holder using the account. I sent them the two documents they requested—>drivers license and social security card pictures. I sent them right away. THEN they wanted my bank account number and I raised hell with them. Reluctantly I sent it to them to take care of this so I could use my account and redeem my $250 + the now the extra $7 I had from using my account. $257 in total now. THEN they still were not satisfied and wanted all my bank statements for the past so many months!!!

I called their customer support MANY times to take care of this and all I got was screwed by Capita One!!!! I raised so much Hell with them I demanded to talk to whoever was in charge of their organization crime syndicate and got put on the phone with Jovaniik in the Philippines “Fraud Protection Specialist-Disputes Manager” (and he did NOT want to even give me his name, nor would we supply me an employee number or anything else.” The guy laughed at me and had this smug and snarky/funny laugh twitch with every thing he replied back to me. I asked him why this was still going on, OVER ONE YEAR LATER!!!! My $1,200 was paid off, and so was my vehicle, and had done business with them 7+ years now and what is the problem!!

So they were trying to be sly at this time and asking me to close my account and forfeit my $257. I told them NO, SEND ME MY CHECK FIRST, they owe me this before my account was closed. So they did not close it OR send me the $257 in my account. I sent MULTIPLE letters. I called again and was threatening them with a lawsuit, they would not talk to me and clammed up. I FINALLY did what they asked and tried to send them my bank statements they requested, but their website link did not work to upload the documents (not the first time this happened) and they closed my account the next day saying “you did not supply the required documentation” thus STEALING my money!!! SCUM, GREEDY SCUM!!! Now they have every celebrity they can find advertising for them. Samuel Jackson, I hope you read this!!!!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed May 6, 2024

I had this card for 18 years and had to close it. Customer service is horrible and when the card was paid in full they attempted to charge interest on it so now there is interest on the interest when that bill is paid to? I will never do business with Capital one again. Horrible company!

Customer ServiceContract & Terms

Reviewed May 6, 2024

Just be careful, I find this credit card company to be very deceptive. They're charging a membership fee when the contract said zero fees. I called customer service and they were of no help. The fee is not my problem, as I can get it back and more with cash back, but it's the deception from Capital One that bothers me.

Reviewed May 3, 2024

Would give lower if possible. Poorest customer service we have ever had. Overdue charges on account already paid. Late charges payment on an account with over $100 balance. Extremely rude response… locked account, threats, you name it… and today a check for $50+ overpayment. Never in a million years would I recommend this card. Poorest service I have had with any card.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupSales & MarketingOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed May 2, 2024

Have had a business card with Capital One for over 20 years. Plenty of nonsense over the years, but not too much more than you get with any of the other sleazy credit card companies. And then while I'm out of the country, they mailed a snail-mail letter to my mailbox saying that if I didn't provide them with my company's EIN within a week, they're going to suspend my account, and close it a few weeks after that. No notice online, no text message, no email, no account document, no account request, no push notification in the app... nothing.

The letter didn't even give any instructions on how to provide the EIN! If I didn't happen to send someone to open any letters looking for my new credit card (because mine just happened to be expiring and the new card was on its way), business critical subscriptions for over a dozen of my customers would've failed to charge and brought hundreds of users of software to a screeching halt in the middle of a business week.

Then when I call them to give them the information, they tell me that they can't accept the information (which they could just look up online anyway!!) not make changes to the account, not get a cash advance, not apply for a new card, not add a cardholder, not get a replacement card, not authorize a charge.... JUST TO GIVE THEM INFORMATION THEY CAN GOOGLE... They say they can't accept the information without verifying my identity. "Fine" I say. They then ASK me what my phone number is... the same phone number that's been on the account for 20 years, the same phone number they send a text message to EVERY time a charge is charged on my card... like they don't know it... then say they can't send me the verification text message if I don't authorize them to pull all my account data and device information from my cell phone provider just to send me a text.

When I (obviously) decline that drastic overreach, they threaten to hang up on me... so I ask for a manager. The manager says the same thing and then puts me on hold for 10 min only to say that if I want to EMAIL a copy of my drivers license to them, that will work. EMAIL. My Drivers License. That has my signature on it and all my personal information and my picture... the signature that people who knew my credit card info would use to commit credit card fraud and/or identity theft. When I decline that offer, they say they can call me on my phone number... the number we're already talking on (caller ID was invented in the 80's)... to verify me. Then they say their system is broken and they can't make outbound calls.

I finally give up and consent to them pillaging my account and device data from my cell phone provider just to get the ball rolling while warning them that if they can't do anything else that I'll be taking my business elsewhere... they have to do the process twice, having read me their disclaimer about getting to steal my data over 12 times in one phone call... and then they have to leave me on hold for 20 minutes because they can't verify my company's EIN number (which can JUST BE LOOKED UP) for the company that they've been doing business with for 20 years... I guess I'm the world's most prolific scam artist. I've been running a phoney business and paying its credit card bills for 20 years, going for the long con I guess... anyway, I digress. But still, they say that they couldn't verify the number because his system updated in the middle of him trying so now he has to start over...

What a clown show. And they did all this... pillaging of my data and asking me to transmit sensitive information in an insecure way... in the name of "protecting my data". The only people my data needed protecting from today was Capital One. It's 2024. They've known my number for 20 years. I get more texts from Capital One than all my other contacts combined. Literally. But they don't know how to get ahold of me. And when I call them... they act like they've never met me. Well screw them. Treat me like a stranger, then a stranger I'll become. Bye, losers.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed May 1, 2024

If I could give it a ZERO I would. They reported me LATE for two years while doing a debt financial aid program. Ruined my credit although I was paying ON TIME! The. I called directly to dispute them and they told me I have to write a letter to dispute. I asked the representative on the phone what to include in the letter and she said she will mail me what to Include instead of simply emailing it! Then she says they have no way to email the simple instructions to me. I am disgusted! Worst company ever

Reviewed April 28, 2024

Capital One capitalized on people that are struggling with their finances. The high interest rates Capital One charges compares to the bill itself. I feel like I’m being double charged. With all the fees my daughter car loan is now much more than what we started. I would never recommend this company. They charged us $267 to move the due date. Jobs change and so does payday. Why charge for moving the date. Also, late fee $65.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed April 20, 2024

Capital One Reps/Managers. JC- **, spoke to on 03/16/24, very polite very empathetic but did the best she could) had to escalate to escalate to supervisor Mary- **, who also did a great job with helping me follow the process on the things I need to send in and set proper expectations. 03/26/24 Ivy (lied on call to tell me what wasn't there when evidence was provided and she looked at nothing), then when escalated to Manager Sam (was very argumentative on call, did not look at anything before giving me proper evaluation and gave me no options to address concern) (Before 10am).

03/28/24 Sherri (verified evidence and supervisor that validated evidence) (415pm), Manager Mel (took over an hour to review evidence just to not resolve anything or honor my request to dispute my charge as requested. Ridiculous amount of time wasted while being at work when it seems like he was purposely dragging along the time until he got off of work (430pm). Kat, lied on call to tell me I never spoke with a manager but never took a look at any notes until after the fact and then escalated call since it was evident she wanted to do the bare minimum (830pm)

Adis, Manager (855pm) **. What a huge disappointment to have this many working for such a company. Refused to give me any information about the time frame of notes on file and was very combative, argumentative. Extremely unprofessional on the call and he should be investigated and/or fired after you take the time out to listen and review the call that took place as he painted me out to be someone who was trying to get over when that is not the case. The call felt very targeted and discriminated through his tone. He was extremely aggressive with his tone which is unnecessary and disappointing to have with the company when as a customer I was trying to work with someone to get my issue resolved

Ricky, **, this man should get a promotion. He handled himself with professionalism and was empathetic. He knew exactly what to do and provided me with vital information as to how we can try to make the issue try to work out for me in my favor. Was told by multiple agents and mgrs (including Ricky) that my evidence was validated on the 16th and on the 19th of March which is also why I received the provision credit twice. So I do hate that I have to write to the corporation of the matter but I am trying to make sure I stick around to be a customer with Capital One because how this experience has been going for the people who have lacked, now has created tension with me as a paying customer and this is mainly with your management team.

I need this to be rectified as I have even decided to stay with this company when upgrading my card to the QuickSilver card and was looking to upgrade again but if this issue is not resolved and your company is not willing to be on the same page since one set of people are doing the work to help their customers and the others are not alongside of handling their customers in an extremely unprofessional and uncomfortable manner then we have a huge conflict of interest. Feel free to give me a call or email me at the contacts that will be listed below. Thank you and have a blessed day

04/02/24 Eman, (8:30pm). Once again another agent asked me to provide documentation that I have already implemented into the system/link that the company asked me to provide. I am very unsure why we are back to square one with this situation. As when addressing the concern, the agent did not provide any sound information as to why. He stated I should resend in my documents when he seen everything that I've sent in as the company has asked for me to do

Eman warm transferred to an unknown manager and the manager did not state his name nor did he say much on the call.

The call magically disconnected and that was my last straw with the company so as a reference to the corporation I genuinely hope you resolve this matter as I will no longer be a customer for Capital One. You can go back and forth with RIU Palace Pacifico as they will not get any money from me and Capital One will NEVER attain business from me in the future as this matter was handled poorly and the company has a lot of work to do as their frontline workers and management team are not following the same policies and procedures. Please look into the calls on the days listed with the front line workers and managers that I've spoken with.

The company is welcome to alleviate me from the potential charge that I am disputing that I did provide substantial amounts of evidence for as the dispute department did not do their job to fight for their customer. It says it all. I cancelled my card and they will be looking for a payment that will never be received by Capital One nor RIU. I've explained to the company why I was disputing charge and even reached out to corporate and they are all sorry but never rectified issue

Reviewed April 18, 2024

When I found out a guarantee dispute charged back to my credit card, due to I didn't check my account on line documents click to find out the form I need to submit. Which there's no any notice to my email or call or text. There's $0 fraud liability is not real for their more than 30 years customer. There's no protection to their card user. There's no protection to alert if it is SCAM company. There's no justice and no judgement.

Reviewed April 18, 2024

This is the worst credit card you can get. I mean, it is great when you are going through a hard time and they give you a chance. But I haven't used this card in years. And they still charge me $8.34 consistently, every month. ($100+ per year) No balance on this damn card in 5ish years but still pay an annual fee. And let's not talk about how difficult they make it for you to cancel the darn thing. Biggest regret credit card of my life. Just don't do it. Plus, no one seems to care that my card has been expired for 3 years. Not that I would have used it, but you would think SOMEONE would notice and send me a legit card. Horrible company.

Reviewed April 17, 2024

Account was closed for returned payments however my bank has verified that I had sufficient funds to cover each payment. The bank provided information to me to submit however Capital One said I was not eligible to have my account reopened. I have never missed a payment and had never had a balance not paid in full. I paid off the entire balance 100% of the time within 3 days of using the card for any payment.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed April 15, 2024

I urge caution to any prospective Capital One customers, especially those looking to manage both personal and business accounts. My recent experience has been nothing short of a bureaucratic nightmare, marred by poor communication and unnecessary delays. After smoothly opening personal checking and savings accounts, I proceeded to establish my business accounts with the same institution. The process should have been straightforward; however, it turned into a prolonged ordeal when I applied for a business credit card. Despite providing all required documentation—multiple times and in various formats including in-person submissions confirmed as satisfactory—Capital One's internal processes faltered.

The communication during this period was confusing and inconsistent. Representatives confirmed my compliance and the adequacy of my documentation repeatedly, yet there was no progress. Calls were met with platitudes and dismissals, with no substantial information provided. The climax of this frustrating experience was the unannounced closure of my personal accounts, which I discovered only through a generic email, followed promptly by the actual closure—all this despite reassurances just a day before that everything was in order. This abrupt action has not only restricted my access to funds but has also impacted my business operations severely, considering the accounts were interlinked.

Capital One's handling of this situation reflects a stark lack of transparency and efficiency, leaving much to be desired in customer service. Their practice of seeking feedback only during positive interactions further underscores a selective approach to customer satisfaction and demonstrates a lack of transparency and manipulation of the feedback system. I strongly advise looking elsewhere if you value clear, reliable, and respectful banking relationships.

Sales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed April 10, 2024

I have had their credit card and bank accounts for years. No more, after what they did to me starting in 2019. Clever TV advertising and initially they were very good, but then they gave a duplicate credit card to a hacker WHILE I was charging every day in Germany on a long vacation (and he charged $16k...). Their Zelle is atrocious and when I tried to transfer $ to my sister it kept saying the transfer was fraudulent, even though I had 9x the amount in my bank account. The agents over 2 days (because I retried it numerous times, given the vague message "try later") said that they don't tell customers the principal about when they can retry/resend, even if in the daily limit, because it is too risky!!! Finally, I have had enough and am moving banks & only using my other credit cards (and Venture never did give Trip Cancellation, which my Sapphire card does).

Reviewed April 8, 2024

Terrible. Closed my accounts. Both were in good standing. 20% below usage. Talking about not complying with credit card. It really affected my credit score. This is the worst credit card company I ever dealt with. If you're really serious about your credit score this company not recommended to anyone.

Reviewed April 6, 2024

I signed up for automatic payment from my checking account but unfortunately it didn't work. I followed up the day after it was due with a phone call. Customer service said it shows automatic payment was set up. Unfortunately they still charged me late fees. About 7 months later I disputed a charge because I was charged twice at a restaurant. I answered all of their questions regarding the charge. Unfortunately they decided my dispute without contacting the merchant. I have now closed my account and will never use Capital One again.

Reviewed April 5, 2024

Capital One is crooked institution who will rip you off if given the chance. I paid them thousands over a period of time prior to paying off the card in full. A year later they acted as though I never paid them even after providing receipts proving I had.

Reviewed April 5, 2024

So If you give Capital One a 1 star review they won't allow you to make a post but if you give them a 5 star they allow it. This credit card is a joke. Steer clear of this company. Go to a reputable bank.

Reviewed April 4, 2024

I recently applied for this credit card with high hopes for making significant purchases, considering its advertised benefits. However, despite boasting a stellar credit score and minimal inquiries, my application was summarily rejected. The reason? Apparently, having just two cards in the past 24 months, one of which was at the 23-month mark, was deemed excessive by the company's standards. When I contacted their customer service in hopes of reconsideration, I was met with indifference and told there was no policy for such cases. Though offered a chance for a reprocess, it seemed futile given the stringent acceptance criteria. My advice to anyone considering this card: proceed with caution and thorough research. Numerous individuals with impeccable credit histories, myself included, have faced unwarranted denials, highlighting a glaring flaw in the company's evaluation process.

Laura Jane

Be Happy they denied you...trust me you don't ever want to deal with this joke of a company

Customer ServiceOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed April 4, 2024

The worst customer service I have ever experienced. I've been trying to payoff the credit card debt I owe them but they won't accept any type of payment with a debit card. They want my bank account information for a 1 time payment. I also tried to get help with updating my phone number through the app so I can login to my account but I couldn't. They just kept transferring me to other people who kept trying the same verification methods that wouldn't process for whatever reason. They basically said just keep trying same methods that don't work because there are no other options. I am still locked out of my account and unable to pay the one time payment to settle. I will never do business with Capital One ever again. Horrible company. Stay away!

Capital One Company Information