Find the Best Card

Learn More
3.39/5
Based on 1,749 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

4468 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 2, 2019

I was wrongly charged a late payment that Capital One insisted I pursue extensively with my bank payment provider before they would investigate. Bottom line, Capital One finally acknowledged months later that they received the payment on time but only after considerable efforts on my part, both with my bank and Capital One. Despite my contacting and discussing the investigation with Capital One's executive offices they could not answer directly what error occurred in their process. I conclude that other customers are subject to the same dismal treatment from Capital One.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I was getting Comcast Cable. Had to pay a deposit. Paid it then they called and said my house is not eligible for Comcast after they took my money off my Capital One. Well I disputed it told Capital One what happened and we did not get service. So they gave me a credit. Well a month later I got a rebill charge for that same one. Now put my card over the limit. How did they reverse that again when I don't even have Comcast. Never received service and paid money for nothing. Don't get Capital One. I am going to pay them off and throw the whole card away. I wish I would have did research before going with this company!

Original review: April 1, 2019

Spent a week at the bank trying to open a 360 online CD which could not be completed online. In short, nothing worked and the problems continued with the assistance of the employees who tried to help. Kept calling the people in charge for assistance, no resolving the problem. While working online one account was allocated to the wrong family member (multiple accounts were attempted) in closing this account a day after, a penalty of 6 months interest was charged, why? (And this after being told that penalties under one year are 3 months interest,), BULL! Bank demanded all children, beneficiaries, trustees and sharers of the accounts be physically present at the time of opening the account/s. Ridiculous!

My 9-year-old had to be there in order to get her name on my account! Opening accounts for all under 18 years of age - not permitted without parent signature and tax responsible. Business or corporate CD accounts are not allowed. CDs for family trusts, not allowed. There is not enough one can do to fully comprehend the fine print and manipulation that goes on here. Also, accounts were opened using Military ID, could not be closed using the same military ID?!!! It's another rule. My advice, Do not invest here, use friendly non-commercial enterprise, Credit Union is much better and rates are just as good.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I made the hundred dollar payment. The online showed, on time. Got a receipt. Showed paid properly. Then I was charged a $38 late fee and damaged credit because Capital One somehow decided the proper amount was one hundred and five dollars. I wasted a lot of time on hold and punching their 40,000 question drill to try and reach a human. When I eventually did, each time that person was powerless to do anything about correcting the error. It appears Capital One may set up such a scenario often, then makes it impossible and time-consuming to get it corrected. All to steal a large late fee while damaging my credit rather than their own. Multiply that fee by millions of people and it means Wells Fargo isn't the only large bank that deliberately steals from its customers.

Original review: April 1, 2019

My card was suspended. They say my account is past due of the amount of 244.00 that was due on April 23rd 2019. Ermm, humm... We are April 1st 2019. I have tried to ask to speak to a manager. Rather than to place me on hold for the manager. The rep place me back on queue. That was confirmed by the second rep. I tried with the second rep and again she refuses to let me talk to a manager. The 3rd lady, finally told me that managers are not available before 10:00 am.

I called back and talk to a supervisor. I have asked for a manager and he says that he is a manager rather than to tell the truth that he is in fact a supervisor. I talked to him and explained to him that I am being penalized by payments of my cards being declined because of this error. His answer was, "There is nothing we can do about it." That was his answer.

Rather than see that there is a real issue and this is causing penalties to me. He simply did not care. I tried to call this morning and asked again for a manager and I got him again. Lying to me saying he is both. Manager and supervisor and refused without a doubt to let me talk to a manager to resolve this issue. This is very bad service from Capital One. No one is willing to see there is an issue. I have threaten lawyers and the supervisor advised me to contact my lawyers to solve this issue. Seriously??? This is how Capital One is handling your account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: March 31, 2019

I was in Los Angeles when I lost my card on March 17th. I reported my card lost on March 26th. There were over $1,000 in charges made in Los Angeles while I was in Utah and New York by vendors I've never even heard of (and should have been flagged) with my actual card (which has my name and there was no signature, such that the cardholder was clearly not me). First, I spoke to a Capital One representative who indicated the fraudulent charges would be removed from my account.

Today, I still can't use my card because the available credit does not reflect the fraudulent charges. I offered to provide my flight confirmation and itinerary, but was told it will take 30-90 days to be fixed regardless of MY proof that these charges COULD NOT have been made by me. Thus, the onus should be on Capital One and the vendors and I, as the account holder, should not be inconvenienced and penalized while the vendor and Capital One dispute the issue. I am closing my card unless it is taken care of immediately as customer service was of no help because it is "Sunday" (Saturday, Friday, Thursday, Wednesday, and Tuesday were not Sundays....)

Original review: March 31, 2019

Their website is so bad that I feel strongly enough to tell everyone I know to not use Capital One credit cards. Worst online experience I have ever had with anything! I used the card for a balance transfer & cannot wait until I pay it off so I can burn my card. Capital One is saying "We here at Capital One will only give access to our website during normal business hours. So we do not care about anyone who does not work normal business hours." Normal business hours are whatever Capital One says. I am writing this after I could not access my account online. This month alone I have not been able to access my account at least 5 times. Pretty bad for a company whose entire business revolves around computer related transactions.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My husband made payments on my credit cards on March 26th. I have three accounts with them and only one was updated. They are trying to tell me that they placed the payment on hold because it came from his bank account. I explained to them that one of my accounts were updated, and they were all paid on the same day from the same account. They were no help so now my other two accounts are not updated and they keep saying they place the payments on hold which I know is a lie. They are horrible and don't care about their customer satisfaction.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Capital One gave my account to a law firm after I was told that I could either continue payments or make a large payment!! Then they lied and said they called me but didn't get an answer!! Bunch of bull! I paid my Quicksilver card off and was in the process of paying my platinum card off once I went back to work and they were well aware of it! Now I am receiving threatening garnishment letters from my county municipal court, and the law firm they sold my account to won't even return my calls! I hate Capital One, and I am going to fight this! They will not bully me!!!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I called to let Capital One know that I will be in Tokyo on these dates and where I will be using the card. I went to Tokyo and the card was declined. I was not able to go to the show because of no credit cards. I have three Capital One cards. I am back in the States now and I called Capital One to inquire as to why. They said it will always be declined out of the country then Capital One will send you an email and you have to respond to the email and or call Capital One and they have the merchant call Capital One. Customer service states that is how they do it and that other credit cards are easier to use out of the country but just not Capital One.

Original review: March 28, 2019

First, I purchased merchandise online. After not being able to communicate with the merchant I became suspicious. I found the merchant's phone number was from California and their place of business was in New Jersey. Hmmm. I called Capital One to not only report my suspicion of fraud but to also cancel the card I used for the purchase. I was credited with the $72.00 and was told the case will be closed. To my surprise 2 days later I was again charged the $72.00. I was told by Capital One that is was a "Dispute", not a "fraud" and Therefore I was liable for the charge. I spent 2 hours on the phone explaining that I neither received a shipping confirmation # or have been able to reach anyone at their customer service dept. This company was a shell that did not exist. How is that not fraud.

It was sometime during the third hour with Capital One fraud "experts" That someone was able to confirm that YES, I was charged again, but now they needed to send me papers to open another case. I must have spoken to more than 10 people today bouncing me back between fraud and dispute. Most even had the nerve to suggest I was not overcharged at all. I have been the victim of fraud twice. Once by a fraudulent merchant, and again by Capital One. What`s in your wallet???

Original review: March 28, 2019

I am also finished with my loan paid 21,000 and they pick up my car. Yes I was behind and been in contact with the Department however they pick up the car and asking me to pay 1,500 in fees! Now I have to find extra money to retrieve my car and if it goes to a auction I have to pay those fees too. I would not recommend Capital One to anyone.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have 2 cards from Capital One and as I usually pay online, I mistakenly clicked on pay the full amount which I didn't want to do so I called customer service immediately and they told me since the payment was processing they couldn't help till the next day when the payment hit my account, so as what customer service told me to do I called back the next day as told to now that the payment hit my account and now Capital One has my money so I called them back and they said there was nothing they can do.

So not only did they lie to me on the first call they took the full amount and told me my money could not be refunded and pretty much I'm screwed. So they knew what they were doing on the first day I called they just were waiting till they got my money. They also sent me an email saying that my payment was cancelled even though it wasn't and when I asked them about that they told me to refer to their terms. So I have canceled all services with them and will never get a card from them again. Horrible service all the way around!!

Original review: March 27, 2019

I've had the worst customer service I've ever experienced with Capital One. I spent hours on the phone with them and found them to be generally incompetent, give you the wrong information, they say they'll do things and then don't do them, etc. It's extremely frustrating to deal with them and I hope I never have to do so again. My account was suspended and I couldn't get it unsuspended for about 3 months because they kept giving me the wrong information and were generally incompetent. They also didn't seem take notes as every time I called I had to explain the situation all over again. They put me on hold for long periods of time. Sometimes hung up on me while I was on hold. A manager gave me her employee ID so that I could get back in contact with her if I called again. And when I tried to do that the rep on the phone said he couldn't put me through to her. Just. Utterly. Useless.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Purchased a car and could not get Capital One to send the loan information to us. When we finally got it and I sent the payment in they said we were two months behind. I called and the gentlemen said he would move those two payments to the end of the loan so it will not cause a negative effect to our credit. Once the agreement was made Capital One would not honor it. I would not recommend that anyone get a car loan through them. The customer service is horrible.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I can't stress this enough. Do not bother paying your card on time and for godsakes do not pay it early. This company simply cannot handle that!!! I have paid my bill on BOTH cards either early or on time for over a year. I only get paid every two weeks, so most of the time it's early. So on Feb 23rd for March which was due March 20th I paid my $30.00 bill, on March 23rd. On March 23rd I get a notice saying my bill was overdue. I quickly sent $30...thinking that I must have forgotten to pay it. Later when I had time to follow up...they took $30 out of my bank account on Feb 23rd. So I call them.

First thing I get told is, "Well you pay your bill with your mobile phone so we didn't do this." Then I get told they can see I am a great customer, pay on time or early, they appreciate that so much!! Then I am told I paid it too early and it was like a double payment in Feb. As THE CONVERSATION Goes On I Am Told THE $27 Late Fee Would Be credited Back. They CAN ONLY Do THIS Once AND ONLY FOR good customers. Yada Yada yada. Furthermore the 30 I had just paid would've applied to March because of MY mistake. Basically kept blaming me for paying them early. Sorry TOO early.

After speaking to a supervisor I was informed I needed to pay $88.00 to bring my not late bill current. So these idiots had the $30.00 I paid on Feb 23rd. The additional $30 I paid on March 24th were going to credit me 27.00 and of course the one payment for $30... However I was going to be bill $88.00 BUT I SHOULD REALLY PAY JUST $58.00 TO BE CURRENT. Their math not mine!! Now my math... You want me to pay you the 27 bucks that you are going to credit back to me. Cause the 27 is not payment. It can only be credited. Plus of course the 30 for April's payment.

My math say that is 57 buck not 58 or definitely not 88. With no one can tell me how they get 88 and they admitted I did not pay my bill late, but I need to pay a late fee so they can give me said late fee back plus pay nearly a double payment to bring the account current when truthfully March and April's payments were made. By their standard though only March has been paid. Even if I go for that BS one payment should at least count, but they want 88 bucks more because I paid my bill early.

No one can tell they want 27 plus 30 and 58 or as the bill says 88. 88 minus 27 minus 30 is 31 more bucks. No one knows why but apparently they think I owe it. Even though I've paid both cards early for over a year, without any problems. I Pretty much told them shut the card off. They will get 30 a month until it's paid off. I will only be using my other cards that appreciate customers who pay on time or early. Capital One here is a math lesson for YOU... YOU NEED CUSTOMERS MORE THAN WE NEED YOU. To everyone else pass this company by. There are many great credit card companies, but this isn't one of them.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I've been a card holder for years. Within the last 6+ months I've asked them to waive all yearly fees and crappy interests. Yet... The person over chat told me there're no new offers to do this. I then told them, I am done with Crappy One and done making payments. I'll start paying the $140+ a month towards my other credit cards or loans I've. This is the worst credit card company! DON'T APPLY FOR A CREDIT CARD THROUGH CRAPPY ONE!!

Original review: March 25, 2019

My Phone was hacked and my information stolen recently, including the login to my Capital One account. I called Capital One customer service. They locked my account right away. But everything else about the experience was a disaster. The worst customer service experience you can imagine. I'm trying to explain phone "Porting" hack to non-native English speaker with just a basic comprehension of English.

So I'm bounced back and forth between agents; trying to get them to understand they need to remove my compromised phone number and email address from my account. I went through their verification process repeatedly with each agent. Eventually after an hour and 40 minutes on the phone I asked them to close my account and send me a paper bill. LOL, but the poor girl I was talking to, her English was so terrible, I have no idea if that is what she meant. I'd never do business with this company again.

Original review: March 25, 2019

After being a loyal customer for over a decade, I made a horrible mistake and overpaid my account by $17,500.00. They just kept applying charges against it and refused to send a refund until I closed the account. It's been OVER 3 WEEKS!!! I need my money back. I've spent hours on the phone with them. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH CAPITAL ONE.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I'm a small business owner. I opened a checking account with Spark Business Capital One. It has been nothing short of a nightmare, I can't access my funds -- they are holding them and indicating I need to change a form. I submitted the form now over four times to which they've given me the response that it wasn't legible and needed to be resubmitted, however, they are behind on reviewing forms from over two weeks so I'll just have to wait. And even once they do review, they have a 7-10 day waiting period for me to receive my funds and close my account.

This process started on the 7th of the month. Today's date is the 25th and still nothing from them in regards to communication. My funds are still there and I cannot access them. I've filed complaints with FDIC. This is horrendous and their customer service is beyond poor. I wouldn't' open a bank account here if you are a small business owner and need your money -- it's fraudulent and they don't understand small business.

Original review: March 25, 2019

This is by far the worst encounter I had with a bank. I was assist by Valerie **. Worst experience of my life, unprofessional and snotty attitude. I’ve been with Capital one for many years, business account and personal account and I will be moving my business to another bank. Client service is everything. Capital one can do better.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I called because they charge me an annual fee on the day that my credit card was reporting and I wanted it to report at 1% but it ended up reporting higher than that because of their annual fee. I asked them if they would waive the fee or if they had a different option. The guy on the phone was so arrogant and said fine, "I'll just cancel your credit card" like he was actually threatening me so I told him, "Fine go ahead."

He was so rude and arrogant I'm basically just told me to go ** myself. He said there is nothing he could do and he said he would can gladly cancel my card for me. Which I didn't even ask him to do he just decided that was what he was going to do. So he canceled it. Worst company ever. The worst customer service ever. I literally hate them. And because I'm in Canada it takes like 5 days for my payments to post on to my account which is ridiculous.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I make monthly minimum payments as of my income now and with the finance charge less than the payment I receive no available balance. Every time I call I get a foreign person with no knowledge of subject. It’s disturbing of getting foreigners instead of someone who speaks English basically knowing the questions better. I’ve had this account for about 15 years with better results then as now. The interest rate is astounding, I’m trying to buy a home and my card balance is high. I am trying to fixing this so my credit score goes up but as of reading reviews I’m very questionable. I want to close this card but it might affect my credit score, every time I call I ask to speak to a manager for better understanding of the subject. Any help would be very appreciated.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Capital One is a fraud!! My wife and I have had a Capital One Venture card since 1992 and have never been late on our account. We recently paid our balance of $8,385.27 in full three weeks before the payment due date and still received a bill for $37.48 the next month. I spoke with several representatives and two supervisors and no one would waive the fee. They call this trailing interest even if you pay your entire balance. What a ripoff!! Needless to say, I can tell you what card WILL NOT be in my wallet. James **.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have had a Capitol One Sparks Business Card for many years and had accumulated 280,000 miles. Sunday evening I booked a flight for a business trip that I was taking in two weeks. Monday morning when I got to work and checked my email confirmation somehow they had the traveler name as our company name. I called the travel center to get it changed and they told me that the only thing that I could do was to cancel the ticket and rebook at the current rate. The ticket price had gone up $140 overnight. I told the lady that I was not going to pay the difference as it was not my mistake.

I went back onto the booking site and when I click on the dropdown list for traveler information my name is the only one in the list so it had to have been a computer glitch that somehow pulled in the company name for the traveler. The CSR would not budge on making me pay for their mistake so I asked to talk to her supervisor. Same BS from her. So I went back online and used up the rest of my points then called and canceled my card. Of course it was all an automated system so I didn't get to explain to a person why I was canceling so that is why I am writing this review. I ended up calling Delta Airline and the CSR was very pleasant and helpful. I did end up paying a $50 fee to get the ticket fixed but that was better than the $140. When I go to trade shows the credit card companies always have booths set up to try and get you to use their products so I am going to give them an earful at that time.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I give Capital One the worst review of any CC company. Paid off my account in full, took them almost a month to report it and then charged interest after account was paid off. When I paid account to zero balance (almost 5k), they were barely willing to help where other companies were more than willing to help. Have been given poor service by their reps, had to call multiple times just to get accurate information. I would never recommend them to anyone and would advise any potential consumers to look elsewhere.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Capital One close my Menards account due to incorrect information that was through one of their departments. I was told that I had a Bankruptcy and they closed the account. I told them that I had NO Bankruptcy. They told me to get in contact with the Credit Bureau and I did and pulled my credit. There was no Bankruptcy on my report. I just wanted them to correct their mistakes and straighten out my Credit Cards and fix my Credit Report to not show these mistakes they made. Thank You.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I was in car crash in mid July 2018 leaving me without a income for nearly 9 months. I fell behind on my bills. My account fell behind. When I return to work this month first thing I did was call Capital One. My first check back I paid my balance in full. After speaking with the agent taking my payment they told me my account would be back to normal status once my payment cleared - to call back tomorrow to verify. This morning called requesting why I had a new balance. Yesterday I told the agent to run a full payoff and they did and it cleared. I ask to speak with the supervisor. She refused to assist me in any way stating my account wasn't paid off although we were on a recorded line with their agent stating, "Your account is in good standing and zero balance." This company has no integrity, and very shady. Stay clear of this company.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I cannot believe how horrible CO is! I went to my diabetes Dr yesterday. I have to take insulin several times a day now. I called to try to work with you to get an available amount put on my account. I was told I had a few dollars with rewards. I was told it would be applied as an available amount and would be done in a day or two. I called tonight to find out where it was and was told it was applied to my balance instead. I asked the rep yesterday to confirm that it would not be applied to my balance. He said that it would be an available amount. I needed that money for my diabetes supplies. You LIED TO ME! I can't use the language I'd like to because it could get me booted from Facebook.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Horrible website updates. All changes have interrupted all feeds with accounting software. Locked out of all accounts and can't get a "by when" I'll be able to access my accounts. Never had these problems with ING!

Capital One Company Information