Find a Credit Cards partner

Help me decide

1.2/5 (104 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

On Dec. 16th called to confirm what I owed in full to my cc. I was told an amount and was told that once I paid that amount I would not owe anything on my card. So I paid that account off. December 26th look at account. Says I owe 36.00. I called and Capital One admitted their representative wrongly told me the amount because they didn't include previous interest & was told, "Sorry that you had to call us and sit in phone for 45 mins but yeah our representative screwed up and still pay what you owe." So mad with this company dishonesty and misguidance.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

Their purchase protection and dispute department is horrendous. It's been twice now that they didn't get me my money back despite all of the irrefutable evidence I provided. For one of the purchases, I had bought something on eBay and it was damaged when I got it so I opened a return claim on eBay and also a dispute with my bank for safe measure. I returned the item and then when they return was delivered, eBay told me that a refund couldn't be issued because I had opened a claim with my bank and my bank had to resolve it now. But despite this, Capital One marked it as a valid transaction, and didn't get me my money back even though I sent them screenshots of all of the conversations with eBay.

I never had this issue with Chase Bank so I am switching back. A similar thing happened with the second one. I purchased something and it arrived defective so I opened a claim with the business and with my bank, and they offered me a partial refund but they couldn't issue a refund because I had opened a claim with my bank, and then Capital One wouldn't get my money back for this either despite showing them the conversations.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Agent Amy put me hold 30mins. As I worked mutual life insurance company for 5yrs. I never put on hold like this. I’ll simply say, "Will take longer so we will call you back." I got overcharged and they took care of 3 months ago. Now suddenly they want me to mail the record. I threw away after problem solved. Who save all your shopping record over 3 months? I’ve been loyal customer for easily 10yrs. Very disappointed their poor performance.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I had to put a lock, on my credit card, and asked customer service, to decline any transactions, from this one particular merchant. Well, I know the “fine” print, on locking your credit card states; certain transactions, can still go through; but if I specified to c/s, to decline any transactions from this company; they ignored my wishes, and put them through, anyway. Looks like, they care more about creditors, than their customers.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

The IRA representative Mary was so unprofessional, she tried to verify my ID, even after I provided my SSN, she then confirmed my home phone (landline) successful but asked further for my current phone which will accept text but filed on her side, then she needs me to upload my ID info... Why didn't she ask my DOB, mother maiden name, address, etc; but she refused to all my suggestions and insist I've to upload my ID...! Besides, I asked to speak to a manager and was put on hold for 15 minutes and got hang up by this bank! I then called back and asked to speak to a manager one more time but was transferred the call to another representative and then just before I was told a manager is on the line and got hang up again! I'm also work for a major bank and know there are many ways to verify a customer ID! I will not be a customer of Capital One any longer!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Capital One is the worst. This is the second time you guys have done this to me. I transferred money from my checking account on the 28th to my credit card and today is the 6th and still my money has not been released. However, you guys were quick to take the funds from my checking, there leave me with no access to my money. I was traveling on a grand birthday trip. I was left with no rental and had to switch to a crappy hotel because of this. I called and called to no avail. The last representative/supervisor I spoke with showed no concern and was soooo nonchalant. Basically told me call back when checking account department was opened, even though she knew I was making an overseas call that I had to pay for.

I even tried transferring money from my other account but couldn't because it was an overpay to the card. What has me sooo annoyed is if I transfer funds from an outside account it's credited in seconds but from Capital One account you guys hold for 7 days. Does this make any sense at all? I will definitely give you guys a bad review on my YouTube channel and ALL my social media accounts. DO BETTER. SMDH.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

Capital One has serviced the GM rewards card for the past several years, having taken it over from the prior servicer (GM itself, I think). Since the takeover by Capital One, services over the phone to replace a damaged card or to report fraud have been nearly impossible for someone without a smartphone and without a landline (last old-timey phone on the planet, I guess). First off, you seldom, if ever, get a native-English speaker-so, nearly impossible to understand some of them. Second, the headsets they use to talk through fade in and out depending on who-knows-what.

Third, their protocols insist on sending a text code to the old-timey phone which cannot receive text during the middle of the call. When they finally comprehend that, they claim to send a link by E-mail which can then be used to upload a copy of the driver's license. OK by me, but the link never comes and they refuse to re-send it, even though the E-mail address is recorded on the profile of the account. Then, after all else has failed, 45 minutes at the branch office is needed, with multiple holds for "no more than 3 minutes" is needed, even though the branch person sees me in person with my driver's license and verifies to the non-English speaker who she is and who I am. WOW - never had such an experience with the prior servicer of th account.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I received an alert when a purchase was made to report fraud. I've spent 2 weeks getting the run around only to be told I was liable. I advised them that me nor my authorized user made the purchase at a Walmart over an hour away from my home. Told them I had Ring video recording showing the both of us at home getting dressed for work at the exact time purchase was made, AND that we left home going directly to work AND could prove it with a letter or copy of our clock in punches at work. I asked them could they please obtain footage from the merchant of the person making the purchase since Capital One "after their so called investigation" decided to hold me liable...I asked them to provide proof, they would not.

Told me the card WAS used...after going back and forth, for days and hours on the phone, I told them I can't believe their decision when I have proof it was fraud, as also reflected on my 3 credit reports and also with another credit card company. While 300 dollars is not much to some people, (the other company adjusted my account of the $1800 fraud purchases...capital one refused). I will pay this 300 and cancel my card when done. Makes no sense how they treat their customers. Stay away from this bogus company. And they talk to you like you're the criminal...noooo a criminal did this to ME and capital one disregarded my plight... Made my credit score drop....smh. I give up, will NEVER do business with this company again.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have been the biggest salesman for Capital One for years. I advise my clients to get these cards. They have always provided outstanding customer service and been my partner. I have had this account for almost a decade. All of that said, it is clear that they are changing their ways! I made a payment of $4,727.73 (payment made weeks before the statement due date) and after 4 days they had not released the available credit. They even continued to approve charges the day they received the payment but then took the account into lockdown the day after the payment. When I called I was told that this is common when an excessively large payment has been made.

The clerk then checked the card to find that this payment was not excessively large for the history of the account. He then said during this tough times it is not unusual. When asked if there was anyone I could speak with he said no. The funds have cleared my checking account and are past the bank retrieval date. This is unnecessary and totally unacceptable. This is NOT the Capital One I have loved and supported for decades.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have had a Capital One Credit Card for over 11 years. I have always paid on time. I have charged it up to the limit and paid it off completely several times. I know my credit was not good when I first was approved for the card and I accepted that. Over the last 11 years I have not asked for a reduction in interest rate. However, I received a new 10,000 Credit Card from CITI Bank with a rate in single digits. Being a loyal customer to most brands I use, I wanted to get my interest lowered at Capital One. I figured since my credit score is now in the 700's this would be a simple request. Without any concern of me cancelling my card they said they could not change my rate. I even talked to a manager. She said rates are only changed when the company mails you something. I was really surprised, so I said cancel card. I guess I will be a Citi customer from now. I guess they do not care about keeping good paying customers.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Don't apply for Capital One master card because they are bunch of thieves who get a hold of your money. I have been very very disappointed with their service. I highly recommend any other company but them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I used to have a Capital One Quicksilver Rewards card that I used when traveling abroad. Capital One canceled it because I did not use it much. I recently applied for the same card, but Capital One will not approve me for it, even though I have an 800+ score and a high income. They won't provide the reason for rejection over the phone, so I could correct it. Instead, they will send me a letter with an unclear explanation in 7 to 10 business days.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Whoever is trying to decide in which bank to do business with do NOT chose Capital One. The reason why is that once they have your money, they will never return it when you move to a different state where there is no Capital One. You better have some extra money because it will take them months before they send you money back to you or your new bank. It happened to me, and after seven months I am still waiting to receive my $10,000. If you want to talk to me about it, my email address is **. DO NOT BANK WITH CAPITAL ONE, please.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Capital One, I think everyone has seen their commercials with the catchy slogan "What's in your wallet?" and to be honest I never thought twice, but I have to hand it to them, they have one of the best applications for cards I have ever used. Not only do they have a clean interface with perks easily displayed and purchases shown with logos of the establishments, but they have a fast response time for payments (instantaneous) and watching your limits shoot back up and the cash back rewards pop in just makes you feel so darn good. They gave me a chance when I was barely eligible, not only that, but they gave me a taste of 0% APR periods and cool perks that I never thought I deserved with my standings. In combination with other providers I have earned my Good Fico score Rating I have today and I intend to keep it that way.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I am relatively satisfied with my Capital One credit card, however recently I wanted to provide a feedback and was not able to find how to do so, even though their website has thousands of reviews. Are those all fake? The issue I was trying to bring up is credit line increase. In my opinion their policy has a flaw. Let me explain it.

My account has virtual account numbers feature for safe online shopping and the only other card I have has this feature, is Citi. I use Citi virtual accounts all the time. But it would be nice to have a backup option like Capital One. But what happened was years ago Capital One decreased my limit to a small amount, based on daily use. Which makes some sense, because we split our daily purchases between 3 different cards by category. However, if you like me, go to a "big" vacation once a year or a couple of year and this is when you need probably a few times more limit to reserve a hotel or resort and buy tickets, then you know that at the time when you need this amount, you are limited. And if you request an increase at that time, they offer you a few hundred bucks, which is not helpful.

Don't take me wrong, I have other good cards and I actually closed a couple of because I don't need so many. My credit score is perfect and I pay all my cards in full every month. But the way it looks like their credit limit policy shoots them in their foot. I would alternate Citi and Capital One virtual number for vacation expenses, and Capital One could make some money on these purchases, but due to this vicious cycle they will never give me credit limit enough for those expenses. I was trying to find how this can be communicated to the right people and was not able to. If you call customer service, maximum you can speak to a supervisor, who does not really get this situation and just thinks I was failed credit line increase and I try to complain. If besides Citi and Capital One any other bank would offer virtual numbers, I would just use that bank instead and would not even bother with this review.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Be aware of all extra fees, no warnings about fees and a "credit" "limit" isn't an actual limit! They'll permit over limit when they feel like it.. and charge you extra fees.. I pay my bills monthly and keep all bills/payments for records.. Horrible "customer" service.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I was a great customer with Capital One, and had their Platinum card. Always paid off my balance and before the due date. In July 2021, I had booked a flight with Priceline for 299.00 with their 24 hour cancellation guarantee. I cancelled with two-three hours of booking due to the reason of the trip. I was going back to my home state due to my elderly mother’s health. She had fallen and was in the hospital. However, upon speaking with my siblings they had advised me to wait later due to the fact she would need assistance when released back home. I saved the cancellation and did not receive a credit for the 299.00 charge. I contacted Priceline and they told me that I had not cancelled my flight when I had an email confirmation showing cancellation.

At that point I contacted Cap One dispute center. I explained the circumstances, they gave me a provisional credit back of 299,00 until they could investigate. I uploaded a letter in their portal explaining what had happened, Priceline’s guarantee along with copies of my email confirmations. Within 24 hours, I received a letter from Cap One saying on my account saying the information I provided was not sufficient so therefore the provisional credit of 299.00 was reversed. How could a company investigate a dispute in 24 hours? Moreover, why wasn’t my information sufficient enough? What more did they need? I also provided them the 24 hour cancellation guarantee I had on my original confirmation email.

I contacted Cap One AGAIN, told them to reconsider and asked what more did they need? This was not a Caribbean vacation I was trying to get reimbursed for it was due to a family matter. They told me to re-write my letter again explaining why I had to cancel. I did this again, only to get denied AGAIN within 24 hours! I must have went around and around with Capital One 4/5 times before I gave up. I was on the hook for a charge that I should not have been on the hook for.

In August, my mother was to have surgery I booked a flight with a car It was a package flight and rental with Priceline. Now, I have used Priceline many times and have never had an issue with them not guaranteeing the 24 hour policy. The charge was 536.00, due to my mom's health and being 86 years old, day of surgery would be contingent on how stable she was. I made sure to again keep all copies of email confirmation, etc. I received a phone call the next morning that her surgery was going to be put on hold for a few more weeks the doctor thought. I thought, okay, I’m well within my 24 hour window, so yet again I had to cancel. I kept all of my documents. Cancelled the rental car as well.

Priceline emailed the cancellation confirmation stating I would be receiving a refund, if applicable, in 5–7 business days. I never received, I contacted Priceline again only to be told that this was not applicable to the 24 hour cancellation. I HAD the documents showing same!! Why would I have booked again, if I did not think their guarantee, which showed on my booking docs would not apply?!! If I had a purchased the travel insurance like I did in July, no claim reason is applicable for these type of reasons, so that’s why I didn’t purchase the insurance for this trip.

I contacted Cap One again to dispute the charge explained the story further explaining that I was already on the hook for 299,00 but Priceline was not going to do it again. Cap One gave me a temp credit. Again, I provided a detailed letter along with all of my documents. This time I was positive I would prevail. Again, within 24 hours Cap One had conducted their investigation and they stated what I gave them was “not sufficient”. I again, re/submitted re-wrote my letter for Cap One to reconsider 5-6 times. I contacted Priceline again and their customer service rep told me that it was Capital One’s decision to give me credit. I proceeded to communicate this with Cap One too.

On October 23, 2021, after my 6th reject letter for the credit I contacted Cap One furious. Their foreign non speaking English rep told me that there was nothing they could do. By this time I’m expressing that I had given them everything that they needed. I finally asked for a supervisor. The supervisor was very nice and told me that this was unfortunate due to the circumstances. She was going to give me a credit of 200.00 just for all the trouble and being a cap one customer. Over the next week I waited for my credit to show. Guess what…my credit was never issued.

I contacted the Cap One dispute dept on 10/28, and explained the situation and what I was promised. Mysteriously, there were no notes noted in my file about the 200 credit nor could they determine what supervisor I spoke to on 10/22. How convenient isn’t it???!!! I was then told “sorry, there is nothing we can do for you because we cannot see any notes about your credit or who you spoke with”. I told them that I will pay off my balance and I want my account canceled. I am prepared to file a complaint with the attorney general’s office because I believe Cap One did not investigate my dispute nor did they want to serve their customer’s needs. I’m sorry it takes an average of 30 days or more for a company to investigate a dispute, 24 hours? Give me a break!! Run from these outsourcing foreign speaking crooks.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Got an envelope in the mail saying that I was pre selected for an offer on a Silver Credit Card with a 200 dollars one time bonus. I didn't really need another credit card since I have plenty of credit line available but wanted to accept the offer. After submitting the app they denied it. After calling them to readdress the issue they just said there was nothing they could do. Run my credit for nothing. Not a good practice.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I was hospitalized for several months in 2020 and into 2021. I had 14 surgeries and 2 skin grafts, and was in a coma induced state for much of this time. Upon starting my recovery journey, I had plans of purchasing a home and using my Venture card (with $15k limit) to purchase large items. I started using my card again to purchase some of these items, and realized my line had been decreased to $5k. I immediately called customer service. An elderly man who sounded brand new assisted me and advised that because I didn’t use the line, it had been decreased. I explained my situation but he said nothing could be done. He said it was my fault because they mailed me letters warning me. I advised I never received them.

Two days later I called back to unlock an old accounts and it turns out they had the wrong address on file, supporting my claim I never received notification. I asked to speak to management about this issue and to request a credit line increase back on my card. She was very callous to my situation. I offered to provide documentation providing proof of my hospitalization and my upcoming home purchase. She advised it was a business decision and no reversal could be made. Not only does this decision negatively impact my credit score, but it also impacts my ability to make my purchases for my new home. I’ve been a loyal customer for 7 years, and have always paid on time. I have three different accounts with Capital One. The total disregard for customer health during a global pandemic is unreal and disappointing to say the least. I will be taking my business, and hard earned money, elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

#CapitalOne are frauds & thieves. Even if you pay your credit card balance from #CapitalOne account they "hold" the payment for seven business days to make sure the payment clears "my bank". I cut the card up and cancelled the account.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Really shabby customer service. No one seems to have answers for anything. They open a claim number, and then when you finally connect with a person they have no idea about the claim. They seem baffles by what are ordinary issues, and seem dumbfounded by basic questions. Every time I call I am left concerned as to how this company is run. Do they have computers or keep records?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Capital One makes it very difficult to talk to an actual person, making issues impossible to resolve directly with them. A PPP loan was obtained through Capital One. A PPP forgiveness app was submitted to Capital One. A forgiveness confirmation letter was never received, despite their claim that one was signed. Capital One has REFUSED to provide a copy of this signed forgiveness agreement. They have been pulling payments for the interest on the amount not forgiven. However, there is no reason the full amount, which was well below $150k and used for payroll expenses in full, should not have been forgiven. Now they are saying we have to start the forgiveness application process all over for reconsideration. Capital One does not have small businesses' best interests at heart. No better than Bank of (Corporate) America.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

This is my review of my experience with Capital One and why you should not apply or bother to consider their credit card services since their customer service is horrible and they do little to nothing to protect their customers from fraud. On January 14th I bought 4 spy cameras and 5 Samsung SD carts from a United Arab Emirates website called Desert Cart. All together the stuff cost me 216.00, but while the 5 micro SD carts worked, the Spy cameras I bought didn't have a functioning scan code needed to activate them costing me 135.04 dollars for all four cameras that won't work.

I've attempted to ask for a refund for the spy cameras, but sadly, the website insisted on having someone pick up the things personally. I waited weeks and to no avail. Upon giving up hope that anyone would come and knowing that no one has come to pick them up, I had ask for a transaction dispute on February 25th and temporarily I got my money back. Then on March 20th I my refund has been reverse and I now owe 135.04 dollars despite evidence that no one is coming to pick these things up.

I tried disputing the charge, but my dispute was eventually reversed since Capital One merely because Capital One allowed this fraudulent site to dispute back. I spent the next couple months contacting and pressurizing customer service on Desert Cart and finally I reached an agreement with them to ship the items back, yet when they arrived at their destination they still refused to give my money back because my credit card number had been changed due to a suspicious charge that forced me to get a new credit number which may or may not be connected with this site.

Yet they refused to let me give them a new credit card number and not only refused to give my money back in any way, but the site won't ever let me put in a new credit card number indicating that they are trying to cover everything up. To make matters worse, they kept asking for my bank account information as the only alternative to get my money back. I refused of course since that's sensitive information, yet despite giving Capital One all the evidence they should need that I was swindled they refused to give my money back since far too much time has gone by. I had to cancel my Capital One card as a result. Stick with Discover. They at least their appeal system works from what I've experienced.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I have had my Capital One Credit card for 25 years. In years past I did not experience problems, mainly because I put the card in a drawer for emergency purposes. Recently I pulled it out and started using it as a cash back card. I ran into a problem with my balance and quickly realized Customer Service at Capitalone does not care. They are only there to read from a script and answer common questions. Difficult questions they transfer you to a different person with a broader script to read from. In the end they do not have any tools or abilities to help you in any way. If something goes wrong with your account, there is nothing anyone is going to do about it. I DO NOT recommend anyone get an account with this Bank... Again DO NOT get an account here.. It is not worth the effort.. Plenty of banks with similar offerings and actual customer service..

In my case it was a simple solution. I sent in a payment and they (whoever opened the envelope and processed it) didn't like the look of the check. So they placed a hold on it. Not surprised, banks tend to be skeptical these days. The issue is the payment was more than my current balance, and since they placed on ahold on the check, the entire amount was now frozen to the "dollar amount" written on the payment. As if there is any question on the transaction. It's not a "Charge" is not a "Fraud" thing.. It's a mailed in "Deposit" so this hold was placed was more than enough to prevent any charges, or any further deposit, even cash.. They won't NOT take cash on the account because it was in a credit from "overpayment" from a check with a hold. We had all kinds of Amazon orders already placed as we use the card for subscribe and save toiletries and all kinds of household items all of that grinded to a halt.

I called customer service and they talked down to me like a tiny person who was invading their day. Nothing could be done, the account was locked/paused, on hold and I had no choice but to wait the 8 days.... I even spoke to supervisor asking them to cancel the deposit and that I would make a payment with cash so that I did not lose a couple of purchases we had made and business could continue to flow.. They declined and didn't want to talk anymore... They actually told me that... Just know that capitalone customer service does NOT care about you or give a crap about your problems...

If it's not on their script to read they just read a different one even if it is not related... I repeat do NOT DO BUSINESS with capitalone.. My 25 year old credit card is getting cut in half never to be used again... This is not the bank I signed up with.. No one knows who they are anymore.. And I'd rather give my money to someone who does care... Someone who will try to help solve issues when it occurs and money issues ALWAYS happen... Banks were supposed to be trustworthy..

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Worst bank. STAY AWAY, have a joint account, with daughter who's in college. Every time they want to verify something, they insist in speaking with her. What's the point of a JOINT account??? People you can do better, bank elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

On September 8, 2021 my wife erroneously paid a $355.36 Capital One credit card bill by missing 2 decimal points and paying $35,536.00. I contacted Capital One the next day and they told me the bank I paid it through could take the money back. I did this and the bank was successful in returning the money to my account. I thought the issue was resolved until my bank notified me that on September 13, 2021 Capital One again took the money and used a technique that prevented the bank from getting it back again. This withdrawal was not authorized and constitutes fraud. It's now September 24th and after 6 phone calls and promises of the money being returned I am told it is under review. I have never dealt with a more dishonest and corrupt company as Capital One.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I was trying to upgrade my card to a no annual fee card. I have an excellent credit score but because I currently have a card with an annual fee, Capital One will not upgrade me to a no annual fee card that matches my credit score. They will only upgrade me to a card for people with 'fair' credit. I just paid my balance off and will be closing my account as soon as the payment posts. My family will no longer be part of the Capital One family.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Great television ads but that’s the only thing positive I can say about Capital One. I used them before and experienced high interest, late fees and a general unwillingness to work with customers. I remember calling them to try and see if they could lower my interest rate. The manager said she was (a) familiar with my account and (b) not going to lower my rate. So glad I eventually paid them off, closed the account and tore my card up.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I made a overpayment before I closed my account and never received it. Even with excellent credit their rates are extremely high. Also whenever they raise your limit they raise your interest even if you did not ask for a higher limit.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

It has been nearly a week and Capital One has failed to resolve an issue with their software. I paid off my credit card with them and received no credit for my payment. I’ve been given the runaround on the phone. I found out when I received an email saying my account is delinquent! I’ve talked to 3 people and sent in proof that my payment posted to my bank account. Terrible service. I’m so disappointed that I may need a lawyer to sort this out.

Capital One Company Information