2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5
Based on 1,376 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I have two Cap One cards that I've had for years. They are always paid on time and early in the cycle. I haven't had problems with them until recently. Earlier this year 3 fraudulent charges were made on one of the cards, 3 charges at fast food restaurants between Pensacola, Florida and Texas, all during the worst time of the pandemic this Spring. Called Cap One and these were remedied. They sent me a new card to replace the one with the fraudulent charges. I tried to activate it and the nightmare began. They were wanting me to prove who I am by scanning documents and sending them to them over my cell phone. I said "no" that I'm not putting myself at further risk.

They said my account would be fine restricted until I was ready. They kept trying to contact me to get these scanned personal documents again. Finally, I called them and found one reasonable person in the fraud department who checked my account and couldn't find a single reason why I was being asked for personal documents. He fixed the situation and everything was fine. Now 3 months later, I go to pay my bills for the two cards and both of the cards have been restricted. Again I call the Fraud Dept and I'm asked to do the same thing, to scan personal documents and send to them. Again, I said, "No." I told them I was willing to answer any questions, but I was not putting my personal documents at risk for something that wasn't necessary.

I asked them why my accounts were restricted and they refused to tell me. I spoke to one more person who was supposed to be a manager, and got the same answer, that he couldn't tell me. We went round and round for several minutes. I asked him for the next person about him and he said I'd reached the top. To which I said, "I know you're not the CEO of Cap One so I definitely have not reached the top!" We went round and round for a few minutes. He said that he couldn't tell me who was higher up than him, it was against policy. So, Cap One is wanting me to do prove who I am when they were not willing to prove to me who they are. It works both ways.

Finally I just told him I was going to pursue it further, but my relationship with them was definitely over, that they just lost a customer. I told him someone could call me back if they wanted to, but it wasn't going to make any difference to me keeping a relationship with them. The biggest problem I have with the situation is that they were stonewalling me; they refused to help, so I refused to answer. I'd stay away from this company. The credit cards seemed to be good over the time I had them, but they are not worth the trouble now.

I have other cards, a very good one with my credit union, which is far more reliable and safer for me to have. It's difficult to connect with Cap One now; so many things have changed. No secure messaging, no email for customers, no notice of anything unusual happening to the customer, no communication period. My advice is to find another credit card company. And for those with the good reviews... just wait until something goes wrong and then you will find out.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I had agreement with WCJ, Inc. of Woodand Hills, California that for $75 fee they would give me address or email or phone number for Michelle Ann **, born 04/28/1951 in New Rochelle, New York. Dino only gave me address and phone for Ricard **, who was her ex-husband from Garden City, Michigan. They divorced in 1975 and Richard said he talked with her in 1985 when she told him she was moving to San Diego with her mom and sister Marlene. Dino failed to give me any direct info on Michelle so he violated the agreement for $75 fee. Capital One has denied my dispute twice with no reasons given.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I have dealt with Capital One a few times - twice before to pay for bid purchases and currently set up through Walmart. I have never had any issues with them and therefore content with this company.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Capital One was one of the first to provide me with a credit card with just so so credit so I could re-establish my financial future. Rates are reasonable. Customer Service excellent.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Do not get this card. After 3 years of every payment on time balances paid off would not give increase and did not specify to me that my credit would be run again after inquiring about them raising my limit. The inquiry I had no knowledge about. If I had known that when I asked for higher limit my credit report was going to pulled I would not have requested for higher limit. I got this card because it said it could help build my credit. So if you pay on time and pay off balances after 3 years no increase. All credit counselors suggest asking for increases of spending limit. This card will not help you. I wish I could go back in time and have applied for a different card that would have given me limit increases over time. My card was blocked at a very crucial time when I needed gas. I was cut off from using it.

Leaving me stranded far from home with no way to purchase gas. Then later I get text asking if I was trying to use my card for gas. I said yes and they said, "Ok you can access your card for use." Not good at all!!!! Timing terrible. I was dependent on that card to pay for my trip. I was embarrassed, humiliated and disgusted when it was declined for no reason. I had already been using that card in that area. So its system is flawed. I bet if I had purchased a different card I would not be left in dire position and would have received proper credit limit increases over time. Terrible card!!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I have had this card for more than 10 years. Their customer service has been wonderful. They always go to bat for any customer dispute. The rewards are very generous and I have gotten so many free things with the rewards.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I love my Capital One credit card. They are easy to work with and accepted everywhere it seems. Their customer service is also top notch!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Great card especially for traveling internationally as there are no foreign transaction fees. Plus being a Mastercard branded card, it gives loads of benefits such as auto insurance for rental cards.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

It offers the convenience of quick check out without the hassle of counting out your money and checking your change after completing your transaction.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I don't use the GM Card very much so forgot I had a transaction on it. I never got a bill in my email or a paper bill sent to me. I also did not get anything that said I had a past due statement. I look up my accounts and my credit report on occasion just to check on them as a fraud prevention thing. Lo & behold, there was a billing late statement over 30 days late. Capital One reported this late statement To the credit bureau without even notifying me I had a late statement. So, I immediately paid for the bill and late charges. I then called Capital One. They did not care that I didn't get a bill.

I told customer service rep to look at my history as we have had this card for over 30 years and not once have we been late. She refused to do anything about it. My credit was penalized by 100 points. This card will never be used again in my lifetime. It was totally uncalled for that they would not even consider removing this from my credit report when it was Capital One's fault to begin with.

Capital One Company Information