Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.6/5 (1842 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Great television ads but that’s the only thing positive I can say about Capital One. I used them before and experienced high interest, late fees and a general unwillingness to work with customers. I remember calling them to try and see if they could lower my interest rate. The manager said she was (a) familiar with my account and (b) not going to lower my rate. So glad I eventually paid them off, closed the account and tore my card up.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I made a overpayment before I closed my account and never received it. Even with excellent credit their rates are extremely high. Also whenever they raise your limit they raise your interest even if you did not ask for a higher limit.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

It has been nearly a week and Capital One has failed to resolve an issue with their software. I paid off my credit card with them and received no credit for my payment. I’ve been given the runaround on the phone. I found out when I received an email saying my account is delinquent! I’ve talked to 3 people and sent in proof that my payment posted to my bank account. Terrible service. I’m so disappointed that I may need a lawyer to sort this out.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Their computer system generates just about everything for them and it is very difficult to be treated like a human. Their customer service department is merely a bunch of zombies reading from a script therefore is almost impossible to have a real discussion. I've had this card for two years and never had a late payment. I paid this months after 8 pm ON THE DUE DATE online, which apparently didn't doesn't through until the next morning. I received a late fee. I called customer service and even talked to a supervisor. Neither one could or would, waive the fee. They do not humanize any situation or help rectify a situation, you are just merely just a number. I closed my card as did my husband. What a joke of a company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

To process a bill payment online must choose date to mail so it will be received by due date. Funds are withdrawn from account date sent not due date received. Should be withdrawn on actual date cashed. Also date to be received is late.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Have been a customer for a long time but they lost my business when my credit card number was stolen by a merchant and was used fraudulently. Capital One told me it would take a week for them to send me a new card to my apt. They would not overnight it to be on the safe side instead of sending through regular mail and I told them mail gets lost in these apts. They told me I could pay them $16 and they would send it in 2 to 3 days and I told them that's stupid. I shouldn't have to pay for my card to get here safely after it the number was stolen. Will be closing my account. BTW my credit score is 780 so I have great credit

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I have been working on my credit and was offered a Quicksilver card and promised 200 after I spent 500 in 3 months. After several calls I was finally told that I did not qualify for this but was clearly told that if I qualify for the card I would get this $200 credit. I canceled immediately and paid my balance.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

CapitalOne charged me a $59 membership fee for a card we do not use and do not want. We did not see the $59 charge. We did not receive a bill. Then, they charged me $25 as a late fee and $1.11 interest. Finally, we received a phone call to notify us of a delinquent account. I spend $30,000 to $50,000 per month with CapitalOne Credit cards for my business. We pay off EVERY balance... EVERY month and pay no interest.

I called them to request that they refund the charges. They refuse to refund the membership fee, even if we close the account. They are very rigid and will not budge. They should be ashamed of the way they are treating fantastic customers while charging between 19% to 29% interest. We spend half a million with them every year... and they are 100% unmovable with the membership fee for a card we have not used for over 18 months...and we have no intention of using it. Horrible experience. Terrible inflexibility and short-sightedness by a company that is ravishing low-income Americans with VERY high-interest rates, 0% forbearance policies, predatorial practices and annual membership fees...even if the account is dormant. Shame on you CapitalOne!!! Shame on you!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

We have small business account with Capital One for many years. Recently we received incoming wire transfer to our Capital One account. It is surprised to me that I found Capital One bank still charges fee for the incoming wire transfer nowadays. I have business account at other banks that have no such charge. I feel I have been robbed. I went to branch asking the manager to waive the fee, the manager told me Capital One doesn't give branch for the fee adjustment. She gave me the customer service number to call. I called the number and spoke to the supervisor. The supervisor told me that he doesn't have the option to waive the fee either.

Fed up with the rip-off, I decided to close the account. Then I experienced extreme hardship to do so. The supervisor said he couldn't help me to transfer the remaining balance out to my other Capital One account (I am sure the telephone banking has the capability). I had to log in online to transfer the fund. Now the account balance becomes 0. I thought it would be easy thing to close the account. Instead the supervisor told me that he has to text me some code to do so. However, he told the number that I have on file is ineligible to receive the text. I gave him another good number to use, he told me that same. Capital One sucks, I think it is tactics they set up to rip off their customers. Now with 0 balance in the account, and they don't allow me to close the account, I would be expected to hit with the monthly maintenance fee from Capital One bank.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I've been a customer of Capital One for a few years now and, overall, my experience with the bank (re: 360 checking and savings account) has been very positive. This review is exclusively about their credit card department, as it involves my recent experience with their Venture credit card. I recently needed to make a money transfer with Wise and the system didn't allow me to verify my Capital One checking account for the transfer at the time, so I decided to use the credit card (Wise offered a free transfer and there were no fees for that option either).

To my surprise, a few days later I encountered a $60 fee for the transaction, as it was registered as a "cash advance" by my bank, when it actually wasn't (even Wise confirmed that point). The people I talked to in that department were not only unwilling to consider the circumstances of my case, but also quite rude. They simply lectured me like I was an 8-year-old, in a demeaning tone that I think (at least in the case of the second supervisor) was in part due to my Spanish accent.

I have already submitted a complaint to BBB and I'm phasing out this credit card (welcome, shiny Apple Card I never really used until now). If they don't resolve this issue satisfactorily, the 360 checking and savings accounts will be closed soon as well. To me, it is essential that my bank treats me with respect, and that they stay away from shady/dishonest tactics like the one they just pulled on me. PS -- Just today, I got another charge of $13.67 for interest on the cash advance -- speak of adding insult to injury. I am done with this company.

Capital One Company Information