1.21/5
Based on 346 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

3962 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

If I could give them zero I would. I've been doing good building my credit and I feel like I made a major mistake getting this card. I paid my bill my early checked the account to make sure everything was paid. It said paid off. 0 balance. I check my bank. No withdrawals so I'm like what the heck. I call. Can't speak to anyone but it still says paid so I'm thinking maybe they take a long time to deduct the cash. Long story short they later posted overdue balance and return check. My bank said no payment was never issued from them. I'm hit with a late fee on my first bill and I can't talk to anyone. I enter in another payment and they're doing the same thing. I'm so hurt right now.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Your total balance due on your account is paid off in full by due date, but you still get another interest bill. That is wrong, something I have never had on any of my credit card bills, ever! Capital One manager I spoke with will not accommodate addressing my concern at all. Be careful in accepting and using their credit cards. This was a promotional transfer balance that was paid-off by the due date. I am filing a complaint with the BBB. They do not address this type of concern by anyone that works for Capital One.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I had a zero balance for 30 days. I had a charge for $21.11 on the 2nd of January, I paid it off on the 11th of January which is 4 days before my due date. I was charged over 13.00 in interest. Now I have to go back and make sure I wasn’t overcharged interest the past 18 years I have had this account. I have also tried getting my interest rate lowered with them and have been in good standing for several years. They will not budge, they don’t have a problem increasing my credit limit regularly, but won’t lower interest or even cancel the annual fee. After over 18 years, I guess I have to rethink my options.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I use the app to make my payments. It does not allow me to make my payment on the 1st, the 2nd or the 3rd. Only on the due date of the 4th. I pick this and it gets paid on the 4th every month. Capital One then charges me a $35 late fee every month for over a year for making my payments on time! I feel this is criminal, but when I called them there is nothing they can do! Sounds like a Class Action?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I called Capital One today again! (This would be the 3rd Year I have called.) Issue: I've had the Capital One Platinum Card for years, with an annual fee at inception and wanted to know if this annual fee could now be taken off my account! Because for the past 2 years I noticed that the card no longer has an annual fee and I am in good standing to have my credit balance increased. Why is it that I am not in good standing when it comes to removing the annual fee? I spoke to a supervisor today, bc I was tired of hearing so many different explanations from other reps.

He also informed me that there are no criteria to be considered by Capital One for this request and that there were offers that could potentially have this fee removed but that as of now - (after several years of me paying this fee!) - the offers available for me were not to my liking? Really? So all I could think of were all of those customers paying this fee millions and millions and how convenient it is for this institution to not want to give it up! These were the options I was given: Apply for a NEW card with no annual fee, which would not help someone like myself who is trying to build credit/since opening too many accounts or closing accounts would only hurt my credit.

And ultimately yes the offer not to my liking. LOL. To upgrade to another card Quicksilver One with same high-apr 24% same annual fee $39 and a rewards program of 1.5. Do the Math! while I agree this is a good card to start with, Capital One should also take into consideration the removal of the annual fee upon their credit increase review! Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Capital One has an account that is not mine. For the specifics #** for $500. I am citizen of the United States of America, would like to make a complaint against Capital One for account & amount above. They seem not care about consumers' rights for identity theft. I have made several attempts contacting the agency disputing fraudulent accounts. They refused to delete & consider the (FCRA) FAIR CREDIT TRANSACTION ACT CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU OF CALIFORNIA CREDIT LAWS Sections 605B, 615(f), 623(a)(6).

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Limited use of English by reps, background noise on reps' phones, website difficulties resulting in late payments, fees not refunded as promised by rep, payments not processed accurately, inaccurate information from reps, inaccurate information on website, use of script obvious and irrelevant resulting in prolonged time on phone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Well I just got the account, paid deposit $49 $200 credit, 30 days to get card was told 7 -10, no problem. I got the card but could not use the card anywhere in my city. The card has a chip which means you have to have a pin, I contacted Cap One who said they didnt send one as courtesy, I explained they should have sent me one with the card to save time, the rep explained I could generate one on their site to use the card right now!! I spent hours trying to do this just for the site to tell me to call back in the end.

Called back. Spoke to a rep who could not figure out was wrong with my account. She had me run through their steps to make a new pin after I explained I just did this. She wanted me to do it again. I laughed and said no. I explained in detail what the site was going to say and do. She asked me to do it anyway, to be nice I did, she could not explain what was happening so she had to transfer me to another rep. The next rep explained that I had to have account more than 60 days to create my own pin but she said they would send a generated one in 7 -10 days for this pin. I told her I was on hold for almost a hour half just to be transferred and told that. I explained that if the first rep had access to proper account info she would have been able to tell me and save us all time. I waited for pin almost month, finally I have my pin. The card works fine.

I lose my card. Around 100 bucks is used. I file claim within seconds with the site. “Site states I'll receive new card in 7-10 days and dont worry cause they'll replace what was stolen from me”. About three days they put the funding back. Perfect. I'm happy. About 72 hours later HAHAHAHAHA! THE TRICKS KICK IN!! THE MONEY IS GONE AGAIN!!

I called. They explain it was my fault for not using the money within 72 hours, I explained their rep did not tell me that when I called to verify a card was on the way, they apologized for the first rep not explaining that part to me, I said, "Ok. I understand." Hung up, walked to my room and was like, "Wait. What??" I called back laughing. Explained how would I have used funding without a card? How would anyone use the account with no card?? And now you're telling me 90 days before I get it back? HAHAHAHA! When I added things up, "looks like they use dirty tactics to slow you from using your account after they got your money".

Why have I concluded this, one the fact that a credit card company sent a card no pin, I'm sure you are aware 1000's of times over we need pins in CA. And not sending a pin slows down your customer. Keep funds in your pocket Cap One! I'm sure you know "by not telling the first reps what they really need to know, makes things look like mistakes by a person who doesnt know too much, but it's only intended to look this way. Cant lie if you really dont know all the facts. I'm sure you know by limiting the time" to before a person can realistically access their account!! Again benefits you locking funds with you 90 days Cap One, dirty tricks that are obvious when you add it up and look at it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I've had Capital One credit card for over 10 years and for a while I was in school with a part time job and couldn't make the payments. They decided to restrict my account and I thought it was temporary. By this time I graduated, got a better paying job and started making bi weekly to monthly higher payments to lower my debt and make the account good standing again. I call customer service after six months of payment and ask when "will they unrestricted my account?", I was told "I'm not sure but soon or when higher ups decide to make you an offer."

Year passes by and nothing yet. Called again and got the same story and on top of that they still charge all their member fees, interest and other charges. If I don't have access to my card or any services they shouldn't charge other fees. I'm so disgusted with this company. Finally going to close my account with them because it's obvious they are ** me and want me to pay all the fees for nothing. People make mistakes and at times go through bad patches in life where they can't even buy food. Now that I'm in a better place and making payments they refuse to give me service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I had placed an order for merchandise and notice that my card was charged then it disappeared. I called the merchant and they could not find my order through email, name, phone number or item number. I placed another order. After I received my first order and that was charged on my account another charged showed up. I disputed it as I should have. Wrote a letter explaining what happen. They removed the charge again. They just put the charge back on b/c UPS said they delivered it to my front door... no signature. So now I am charged $500 and Capital One Master Card said "Oh well." You have to prove you didn't receive it and even then they can't do anything. Four months later I am suppose to contact the police to find my box. How do you prove a negative??? Sorry... I have extremely disappointing and will never use Master Card or Capital One again. I've decided to write a review on every site I can find.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

For every since I had my auto loan I have been getting my payments either delayed or flat out rejected/refused even when I had the money for the payments. I had myself set up since last October of 2017 For automatic payments and now I'm finding out that that I am in default on my loan. Even worse when I called them. They yelled at me for being a ** male and called me all kinds of derogatory things and hung up on me. I'm going to lose my much-needed car for sure.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My boyfriend and I recently traveled to Italy and had an issue with a $150 charge from a taxi service we never took in September 2017. Fast forward to Jan 2018 and we are still no closer to resolving the issue than we were when it arose. Back in Sept, my boyfriend called Capital One and disputed the fake charge as soon as he noticed it back in the States. We ended up getting a letter back from Capital One saying they sided with the merchant because we didn't send any documentation! How could we send documents over the phone?? So we called again and they suggested appealing the decision with documents over email.

So we did as they told us and we just got correspondence back for our appeal saying they already determined their decision to rule with the merchant... Nothing about how it was an appeal and nothing about all the documents we attached trying to prove we did not receive any service from the merchant. Overall, this has been the worst experience I've ever have had with a dispute!!! I've never had any other one of my credit cards side with a merchant when the customer NEVER RECEIVED A SERVICE whatsoever!!! Wake up Capital One! I'll be cancelling my card ASAP!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

For the eighth time a payment has been declined! Extremely embarrassing when standing in a line at the checkout. Each time I phone Capital One to find out what is wrong with my card... (I pay full amount owing each month, NEVER carry a balance, always pay on time) I'm told that it's been used "FRAUDULENTLY"!!! Like Fry's, CVS, my insurance company, my internet/cable supplier, my home security company, - regular monthly payments, Safeway, etc. would be considered questionable places of business! NO ONE that I'm able to contact has been the least bit helpful. I'm always told that the 'warning' would be removed, but it hasn't! I'm completely fed up with Capital One Costco!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Capital One Bank for credit cards is very disgusting, terrible and horrible service! Do not Bank with them or get a card from them. They are very inconsiderate people & they do not waive any late fees for no reason. My credit card bill was due on the 8th of every month and they would not consider the fact that I didn't pay it on Eastern Time like they said it was due. Well I explained to them that I paid on the 8th at 7:50pm my time. They still wouldn't waive my late fee and they upcharged my minimum up to $35 from $25 These people don't play. YOU MIGHT WANT TO SWITCH TO REGIONS OR CHASE BANK. THEY ARE AWESOME!!! I switched over and had no issues with them.

I told Capital One that I have been a customer of theirs for over 6 years and still didn't care. The supervisor had a disgusting attitude I would hate to work for her. She had the nerve to tell me have a great day! after all the issues I had with them. I said, "And you have a nice ** day". Oh! and by the way I am putting A BADDDD review up of you’ll in ConsumerAffairs reviews. She said, "You don't have to tell me that". I told her, "I thought I should let you know". Please don't bank with this dumb bank. IT IS The worse!! Plus not too long ago they had worldwide mess up everyone’s accounts overdrafting them and making people have negatives in their accounts. This is not great PROFESSIONAL Bank. They get 0.2 % of stars for my rating if that even counts.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have three cards with Capital One. Never been late once then one day they closed my accounts for no reason. No explanation. Nothing. I’m beyond frustrated and I’ll never go through this company again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have been with Capital One for about 10 years now, over the years I have tried to get them to lower my interest rate which is very high, probably the highest rate they give. I have excellent credit, pay my bill on time, and don't deserve to pay such a high rate. If anything you would think that I would not have a yearly fee considering how long I have been with the company and the interest rate that they continue to screw me over with. I recently asked for them to remove the yearly fee and was told that because they waived it last year that would not be possible. Really, they aren't taking enough of my money with their bloated interest charges, give me a break. I am so done with them and will be taking steps to leave them forever and telling every person I come across not to do business with these foreign thieves.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I attempted to pay my bill while away on vacation. I was told I needed to do a 2-step verification process that I was unable to do without my phone that was not with me. As a result I was unable to log in and pay my bill. Immediately upon returning home a few days later I attempted to login and was able to do so after several frustrating attempts. I contacted customer service as my bill was paid a few DAYS late and thus had incurred late fees. I was told that I was lying and had not attempted to access my account and that I was responsible for the late fee. Apparently now they can prevent you from logging in and then can charge you a late fee and interest charges? Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I’m stuck with a negative balance due to a “glitch” wherein debits have been posted twice. Their little giggles about the situation, paired with their “I know, I know. It’s bad.” is ridiculous and unacceptable. They should NOT leave people with no access to funds because they screwed up.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have been a long time customer of Capital One and paid my card off in full on December 5, 2017 and now I see an interest fee of 79.14. I requested a courtesy one time credit (which I have NEVER requested before) and they said that they can't. I asked for a reason and they stated that no one would be able to provide anything specific as there are several different factors that go into play. Seriously? I asked are you willing to lose a long time consumer not to help? They then provided me with instructions on how to go about closing my account online. What kind of customer service is this? There are A LOT of reviews from people having this same issue. Why is no one doing anything about this? My account is now cancelled with Capital One and I certainly hope there are a lot more that will stand up.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I opened a secured account with Capital One in March of 2017. I made the deposit over the phone using my ach. The transaction was successful. I made my first payment also using the same ach account. The payment was successful processed but was returned because Capital One entered the wrong ach transaction. This happened on my account over and over again. I would always have to call Capital One and have a Supervisor handle the payment process. When I first contacted Capital One to open the account, I was told you would receive a increased credit limit after making 5 payments on time. My first payment was made on time but returned due to the payment being applied wrong. I was told by a Supervisor in April that since Capital One Process the payment wrong, it would not affect the status on my account.

I checked my credit report and it showed all payments being made on time. In October of 2017, I contacted Capital One to inquire about the increase on my card. I was told because I missed a payment that I would be review in the 8th month from when I open the card provided I made all payments on time. This is not what I was told when I opened the account, but I was willing to wait. In December of 2017 I was given a increased credit limit. Now two weeks later, Capital One closed my account. They stated I had repeated returned payments, I stated that is because they process my payments wrong. Don't use their card. They are like robots and don't care about the customers at all only making money...

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Had a new card sent in May. Good through 2022 as I was going to start using it as my primary on 1/1/18. Just called and found out they permanently closed the account in September! The excuse... Had been too long since the last transaction, yet they issued a new card with the understanding it was going to be my primary card.

Why would they do this??? Twice they told me how incredibly good my APR was. Hmmm... Oh, and I have an OLDER card that has never been used that is still open with a much higher APR. Coincidence? I was even told today that no manager or anyone could do anything about it. Horrible customer service and business ethics. They have lost a customer for personal and my business needs, as well as all my close contacts. Well done Capital One.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I rarely write reviews but Capital One has me so frustrated I am writing. I am serving as an administrator for a small estate and have been trying unsuccessfully to get the account details for the estate and have hit nothing but frustration, long phone hold times, broken promises on call-backs and changing requirements. I have carefully followed all rules for Estate execution, have appropriate documentation and have successfully resolved all other accounts with other banks. Capital One has been unique in their obstruction and difficulty. I will never bank with them and urge others not to either.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Capital One deserves NO STARS!!! Now that I am retired and on a fixed income, I contacted Capital One about lowering my interest rate which is close to 25%. I contacted them one year ago and the answer was NO. I wrote to them on Facebook several months ago and they were unwilling to reduce my rate. I applied for one of their lower interest rate cards and was declined. This is the only credit card I own. They are total bastards. I absolutely DESPISE this banking organization. I have never been late for ONE payment. I have a very good credit score. So, screw them. They are not going to win this one. My husband will pull the money from his 401K and this will be paid off. I cannot wait to close this account.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Don't get this card unless you want every vendor in your city to think you don't pay your bills, or if you actually need to rely on a card. We've been card members for over a decade and they continue to randomly deny charges and/or put a hold on our card, for things we've purchased before, for amounts that are well within our limits and spending patterns. When we call them, they tell us "Just call before you make big purchases." Here's a shocker - we don't want to call you every time we buy something. And, on an account where we regularly rack up thousands of dollars a month in purchases, a $300 appliance is not a "big purchase". They've also screwed up our account to the point where we now need "extra security measures" every time we call them.

These measures are necessary for a problem that they admit they caused. It's also clear that even though this card includes an annual fee, don't expect decent service. The first line of folks who answer the phone, while usually friendly, can't actually do anything, and most often don't have English as their first language, making the discussion excruciating. Capital One *does* make it easy to cash in miles for travel. They just make it impossible to actually use the card. I guess all of their profits went to Sam Jackson ads rather than improving the product.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I opened a Capital One bank account for a few different reasons. They just built and opened a new branch near me and there were a few other branches not far from my residence. I already had a credit card and wanted to maximize earning points towards travel. They were offering a one year free safety deposit box. Things were okay for a while. Then they decided to start closing the branches around me. The customer service reps don't know bank policy. You call up three different times with the same issue and you get three different answers. Finally the third time the issue gets resolved. They left one branch opened like 20 minutes to half hour away depending on traffic. Since it's the ONLY branch in the whole region, I can never get a bank manager. There's none available. I don't have an hour to wait.

They did away with when I bank I get points toward travel. Which was my number one reason for opening a bank account with Capital One. In addition, the Venture card used to take off all travel expenses if I had the points. They changed that as well. Only air, Car rental and hotel. Which when I came back from Portugal vacation with over $500 in travel expenses they refused to apply the points. They instead rolled out a cash card. Never having warned loyal customers of the change in policy.

And now they want you to do all your banking online. I'm assuming that's why they closed down the branches near me. Well, a lot of the time when I try to bank online, the system is down and having problems. I'm just waiting for my children to return home from college and I plan to change to Chase. They have many close branches and I do my father's banking for him. There never seems to be a problem getting online. Capital One dropped the ball in customer service and banking services.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

When signed up for paperless statements, they never send you a bill via E-mail. You are expected to go to their website to view your statement. Once you are 30 days past due you finally get an E-mail.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I had some unauthorized charges from Lyft. I have called every day this week since the charges posted on Monday. When I originally called on Saturday a representative told me to dispute online. I called Monday once charges were posted and confirmed there was nothing else to do. I called last night and a supervisor told me he can escalate the claim process if I called back during claim business hours. After wasting 2 hours of my time this morning I'm still being told I have to wait 10 business days. I can only imagine if I had all of my money with this bank. Capital One is horrible!!! I do not recommend, I wish I would have known beforehand. They inconvenience you and act like they can't do a provisional credit while the claim is being processed. I will be contacting my lawyer if this isn't resolved. I will never deal with them again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have had a credit card with them for 20+ years and a second card for about 10 years. They had always been great. They changed their websites and combined my business cards with my personal cards into one online site. I had major issues logging into their new set up. Long story short I missed a payment and they dinged my credit for a $25 missed payment. My credit score dropped 100+ points. I was promised by a Capital One senior supervisor that they would dispute and get the negative ding removed. I received a letter a couple weeks later stating that they would do nothing. I again called to inquired about fixing this issue and was told that they would not help me. With a heavy heart I cancelled both of my credit cards accounts with Capital One. A 20+ year relationship destroyed for $25. Whats in my wallet, NOT Capital One!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have a good credit score and always paid in time; still, my interest in purchases is 22.99%. When I contacted the bank, I was told: there are a lot of factors that go into factoring the rate; I just could not understand why the higher rate and the way these people want the most of your money; other than they really are loan sharks. A wise person should avoid them at any rate. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I just paid off one of my Capital One credit cards IN FULL and BY THE DUE DATE and couldn’t believe it that I was charged additional interest after the fact. I have always been made to understand that if you do not pay the total balance by the due date, then you will be assessed interest. Not HEY! PAY IT OFF AND WE WILL CONTINUE CHARGING INTEREST!

It may seem silly to be so upset over $6.40, but this is absolute highway robbery. I then call in and was met with hostility after being told that there were no current "offers" to remove fees from my account. Seeing as I have had 0 late payments and have ALWAYS paid well above the minimum, I was baffled by what it would take for someone, like myself, to merit an "offer" to remove an interest charge that I never deserved! I first dealt with the chat line for several minutes. Next I was transferred to a customer service rep (and I use that title very loosely because definitely no customer service was provided) that person couldn’t help me and transferred me to SR Supervisor Julia in the VA office. If she is representative of your SR SUPERVISORS, that’s very alarming. Very poor customer service and refused to help or transfer me to someone who could help. She informed me that I didn’t have any offers available to waive this erroneous interest charges.

What LAW states you cannot remove a ridiculous interest fee?? I then insisted on speaking with her manager. She literally argued back and forth with me that her manager does not speak to customers, she refused to contact her manager on my behalf and then sat there in silence while I stated I would hold to speak to her manager. She refused to help waive this ridiculous interest!

In what world does a credit card company treat a customer with such hostility over a $6.40 interest charge. I am so livid with this company and cannot believe how unimportant I was made to feel and how unprofessional they are. I will not use any of my Capital One credit cards again. Hope it’s worth it to them to lose a customer over $6.40 erroneous interest charge.

Capital One Company Information

www.capitalone.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use