Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.84/5
Based on 1,797 ratings submitted in the last year

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Reviews

Original review: March 24, 2020

I've always hated the 5 star system, because to me you either love them (5) or not (1). That is how I see it. If I am a longtime customer of a company and I have been a good consumer, then of course anyone would expect for that company to help out in a sitch like ours, today. I talked with Steve at the call center today regarding my 2 open accounts and the APRIL payments that I WILL have a problem paying, due to being laid off work. I appreciate the consideration and help that they offered to me. I thank the company as a whole, for taking it on a case by case basis when determining assistance. GREAT JOB Steve and CAP1!

Original review: March 24, 2020

You should be ashamed, providing a credit card after a clean record making all payments ahead of time and more than expected, then pay it off, get the up to the increases of credit, then you send an email stating the system made a mistake, and shouldn't had given me a credit card, btw I have 3 that provided three times as much credit as yours did. So you restricted my card, with no real reason, then I get a letter several weeks later, which I kept, stating you owed me a refund for my rewards then today I get another letter stating you made. Another mistake yet another mistake and owe me nothing, have all emails and letters!

Original review: March 23, 2020

I just called 2 days ago because I have a restaurant that I needed to close due to the virus and it’s only temporary until we are allowed to reopen. I asked what can they do to help with my 4 credit cards and the response was, "I’m sorry there is nothing we can do at the moment. We are monitoring the situation." I cant believe they are still monitoring it since everything is closing and 500,000 + are out of work but my co-worker has had his payments suspended temporarily. Why not mine. DO I NEED TO GO TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL IN RHODE ISLAND.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I paid off my Capital One credit card and they still charged me interest, On zero balance, They are crooks, When I called they explained I had a balance for 3 days, The 3 days it took them to apply my payment.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I understand that the world is in crisis with the virus. But my own crisis in my home is trying to get ahold of Capital One, I waited today for 3 hours and 40 minutes with no one answering. I’m very frustrated. Unacceptable. I am pulling all my accounts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: March 20, 2020

My experience with Capital One 360 banking today they reminded me that I’m a ** man in America. A customer wrote me two checks in a week from their bank. Cap one contacted me and force me to give them the customers number to verify if they wrote me the check. That was embarrassing that the bank I do tons of transactions they had the checks for over a week to verify it thru the customer account.. Please share. We keep America moving.

Original review: March 20, 2020

During corona times, I got laid off from my job, I called auto finance in Capital One to defer my payments for 2 months, they give me one month with INTEREST. I told them guys why you wanna charge a guy who is setting home an INTEREST. They said: it's a system. I think it's a shame and shame and shame to charge a client an interest during hard times. So I asked him what's the interest 15 dollars a day( 450 a month) haha. Plus 707, so once I finish with corona, I will pay them 1150, really haha..never deal with you scumbags again, and make sure everybody knows that.

Original review: March 19, 2020

Good day, A few months ago I forgot my Visa card at home but I had the Capital One Master Card in my wallet. I was purchasing laptops for work which totaled $3500. The Capital One card was declined multiple attempts even though I knew I overpaid the card and had $9000 to $1000 available credit. After a 1.5 hour wait on the phone and more than one agent, my card was unblocked and the purchase went through. It was an embarrassing experience and painfully long wait, all because of prior major Capital One breach and tougher measures were imposed.

Later that day I made a second stop at a cell phone repair store. It closed at 7:00 pm and I was there at 6:45 pm. Again I attempted to pay a $550 bill but it was declined. I called but ended up on hold for another 1.5 hrs and I didn't get my cell phones as the store closed. I canceled my card when I finally went to an agent as I had enough.

Unfortunately, my experience doesn't end there. My wife ordered something from Costco just a few days before, but it didn't hit the Capital One statement until later. I paid off my bill in full (so I thought) and was done with Capital One. However, because of the one small purchase, I unknowingly missed one bill payment by a month. Yes, I didn't open the Capital One mail. Why would I as I told them I don't wish their services? Once informed, I again paid the bill in full, however now it affected my credit score. After multiple departments, they wouldn't reverse the negative credit review.

In summary, Capital One, due to your breach and unrealistic protective measures and snowball ball of bad experience here is my parting gift, a black mark on my credit score. Your system is broken and this would have never started if you had a viable solution like other companies that text or call you for unusual purchases. A copy of this review is being mailed to their top tier department as well as to the appropriate credit bureaus, but I am sure it will hit the shredder. Farewell Capital One, I would lie if I said it was bittersweet, it was just bitter. Legally you are in the right but professionally you have left a terrible impression.

Original review: March 19, 2020

Not there for you during a pandemic. We live in an area of high tourism. Called to ask them to waive the annual membership fee just for a few months. That money can be used for groceries while we wait for unemployment. After having this card for a couple of years and paying on time, they said no. Asked for a credit line increase in the amount of $200... oh that decision will take 10 business days. What a poor company during this time. When all is said and done I will pay this card off and never use them again....

Original review: March 19, 2020

I've been a very, very long time Capital One Credit Card holder, 18 years to be exact. I've ran into two times in my life where I became financially distressed and today is one of them. I am a very engaged customer and am always on top of my payments and usage of the card. Once I was diagnosed with Renal Cell Carcinoma, working full time became difficult. I even got laid off a few months back and have been practically begging Capital One to be understanding and work with me so that I can not continue to get drowned in interest charges while accruing driving up the actual balanced owed.

Rather than truly empathizing with my situation of being sick, being laid off, having two children to raise and just asking for some REASONABLE help to keep up with payments which would still turn them a profit, I was told nothing can be done. I was offered a few late fee waivers but continue to see my balance rise as my my 25% interest rate requires an almost $300 monthly payment.

I've asked for a hold on interest payments (declined), a lower interest rate just for a few months (Declined), stop on reporting late payments to the credit bureau to not continue to destroy my credit (denied), a lower payment amount (approved) BUT with a catch as the lower payment amount is still considered a LATE payment and still is being reported to the credit bureau at late / payment not received, so what exactly is the point there?

I am being drown in interest and finance charges and continue to see my card balance grow without making any purchases as its all interest and finance charges. Over $1,500 so far and not a dime from me using the card. They say we are here to help you, Really Capital One? I even reached out today due to this pandemic to see if I could get any help this time as I am basically quarantined home due to my compromised Immune System from dealing with cancer for several years and lost a job opportunity because I just can't be out of my home during this time.

Again, stop lying and acting like you want to help and work things out with your customers. As a big billion dollar business in which I worked for in the past, your only concern is you bottom line even during a World Wide Pandemic where many are actually suffering first hand. I am still trying my best to keep up with this card but if this pandemic doesn't boil over both myself and Capital One loses as the account gets charged off and they wont get paid a dime until much, much late. Sorry excuse for a company. I think all those millions of dollars they pay ACTORS to say "What's in your wallet" would be better served for reserves to help during times like this! Thanks Capital One for absolutely no help at all and literally making things worse!

Capital One Company Information