1.23/5

Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4236 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I opened a credit card with Capital One a few months ago. Got a call about a claim that I never filed. Called back and spoke with a “supervisor” at the fraud department this morning and she told me my account has been closed due to fraud. Is this for real? Closed my credit card without any notice and the worst part is they can’t even tell me why!! This will wreck my credit report and I’m currently looking to purchase a car and was thinking of using them. Thank God I have not. I had no balance on this card and always paid in full. Never carried a balance. This is beyond ridiculous. I filed a complaint with the BBB and will leave this review on every credit forum.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

For over 5 years when I have used my Capital One Credit card I have never paid past the due date. Today 10/18/2018 my payment is due. After a long day at work I come home, sit down to relax and pay my bills. I logged into Capital One to pay both my Capital One cards only to find out that they have added a late charge because my payment was not made before 8pm EDT! Since when is this a requirement that I have to pay before 8pm EDT!? Really!?? So I looked at my payments going back a full year and I never received a late fee for paying on the due date. ** Capital One! Shame on you for scamming your customers!!! So, I paid off both cards one with a balance of 2,200 and the other with a balance of 253.00. Not huge balances so no biggie and I will gladly wake up an hour and a half early tomorrow two close both! I will go back to my USAA and Navy Federal Credit Union cards and I will NEVER use civilian banking again!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Offers zero customer protection and support. I filed a credit card disputes after receiving a defective item and they did not reverse the charge. Horrible. Will be cancelling my card. Uncaring, rude customer service, including managers.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was a loyal customer of Capital One credit card holder for many years. I made them money. Then out of the blue for no reason whatsoever they restrict account access to my platinum card. I called and that's when the games began. I wasted over 2 hours talking to their fraud department and the problem has never been resolved. They will not release the restriction until I go through 1001 hoops, which I refuse to do. Everything is great until this sort of thing happens to you. Just remember that. They will get you too - eventually.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

When this was the GM MC it was a pretty decent card. You could use up 6 thousand towards a new car. In some cases they would double your amount. All this without a yearly fee. Now you can only use 1500 towards a purchase and there is a 39 dollar yearly fee. They clearly don't want anybody's business as there are a multitude of cards out there that pay more & you can redeem for CASH or about anything you want! Capital One **!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Prior to the latest changes. I could see my pending transfers between accounts and I could modify the amounts or change the dates. With the current system I am unable do any of that. I called customer service and was told that was the way the system now works and nothing can be done. Capital One online system is no longer user friendly. They need to fix it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The customer service staff, Maxwell told me they do not have supervisors and hung up on me. He was so arrogant and unhelpful. I talked other staff but they told me different informations. They are so disorganized and didn’t take enough training.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Straight to the point: My payment is missing. I mailed my payment off on October 4th. It isn't due until October 16th, but I wanted to get it out earlier so it would be on time. On Saturday, October 6th, I checked my balance but the payment had not posted. I called customer service and spoke with customer service rep who assured me that they had my payment. In fact, he said, it was on his desk as we were speaking. I checked again on Monday, the 8th, but the payment still had not posted. Again, I called customer service but was told to contact Western Union to see if the money order had been cashed. That was offensive because it seemed as if she was implying some misappropriation on my part. I mean, I'm trying to rebuild my credit and she's implying that, maybe, I didn't send it in but was trying to pull one over.

My wife and I mailed our payments out the same day. I went paperless and do not have an account that I can set up for auto drafts, so we mailed our payments in her Capital One envelope. We were told that her payment posted on the 6th but my payment was nowhere to be found. She then gave me the address to contact their Payment Investigation Department and told me to send a copy of the money order. I don't think it'll do much good. But I'm now out $140. AND my credit will take a hit. However, she assured me that a thorough investigation will be conducted. In the meantime, my payment will be late, if it's even found at all.

Afterwards, I was told that a machine opens the envelopes, removes the checks or the money orders, places the payments into another machine, then posts the payments (no lie, people, that's actually what I was told). But then the rep says that my payment was likely shredded by the machine. So I spoke with a supervisor, who assured me that "a thorough investigation into the matter would be conducted." In the meantime, she would place a "provisional credit" to my account. However, if the Payment Investigation Department decides to do nothing, or determines that it is MY fault (one of which is likely to happen) then the credit comes off and I'm out $140. My wife can keep her card, but after I pay off my balance, Capital One won't be in my wallet. And neither will the $140 I lost.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Capital One accused me of fraud on my account while 1400 miles from home. They canceled my credit card after I proved I am the one using the card. Currently I am now stranded on BLM land with no money, food or water thanks to the fraud department completely getting their facts wrong! If I die in this desert, the lawyers will be coming! Capital one is absolutely unaccountable and negligent!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been with Capital One for almost 2 years now. I have three open accounts in good standing for the past year, meaning I've never missed a payment and never been late on a payment. My husband, is an authorized user on all of my accounts. He also has his own Capital One card where he is the primary cardholder. He applied for another Capital One card a few months later and was approved. When we got his card in the mail however, it was a totally different story. We tried to activate his card online, and was redirected to a representative who accused my husband and I of fraud.

They said that he was not who he said he was, with no reason given! Then, they required all these documents which take time effort on our part. They said they needed a copy of his driver's license, something with his address on it, and something with his social security number on it. I uploaded all the following documents, his driver's license current, a current registration with his address clearly on it, and a copy of his last year's tax returns which clearly shows and states his social security number. When they called to verify the information, they again called my husband a liar and a fraud committed. And told him he would have to submit all documents in person. What a joke this company is!

Are you telling me we have been with this company for over a year now with four accounts in good standing and now all of a sudden we're being accused of fraud?? I cannot believe the audacity of this company. When I have been so loyal and a wonderful customer. I would never recommend Capital One to anybody. Never apply for this credit card. I plan on closing all of my accounts and I will never reopen with Capital One. And to top it all off, when I explained to the employee how frustrated I was she decided to cop an attitude and tell me it was my problem! Like I said, the worst credit card company ever!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I spoke to Sammy (employee ID **) and inquired about my interest rate. It became immediately evident that the answers to my interest rate question she provided to me were WRONG, because they did not match the amount of interest I have been paying monthly for years. I was very polite, and asked further questions about my interest rate, at which point she became EXTREMELY RUDE and CONDESCENDING. This was a red flag for me to terminate this conversation, as it seemed to me, Sammy got ANGRY and FRUSTRATED with me simply because I asked a question that she did not know the answer to.

I asked Sammy to speak with a supervisor, Toshara (employee ID **) got on the phone and I was immediately greeted very rudely, so I didn't waste any time and asked Toshara for ANOTHER representative to help me. Toshara let me know there was NOBODY else I could talk to. I HUNG UP. Called Capital One back and asked the automated system when prompted for "customer complaint department". The person who answered the phone asked me about my experience and I gave them the details. Afterwards they asked me if they could help me with the original question I called in about.

The representative provided me the CORRECT information about my interest rate, and confirmed my belief that the first agent, Sammy, was completely WRONG. Sammy was not even close to providing the correct information. Sammy told me I needed to pay off my entire balance for two consecutive months BEFORE I would not be charged the "cash advance interest rate" monthly. This immediately made no sense to me because the cash advance interest rate I pay is a smaller portion of my entire balance. Horrible customer service by representatives who have NO CLUE what they are talking about.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Capital One credit cards state that they have fraud protection. What this means is that they decline every charge from an unknown vendor and freeze the customer's card. Other than very large, well-known companies, I cannot use my card. Every charge at a restaurant, boutique or salon is declined and the card is frozen until I call and go through several hoops. This has nothing to do with credit. My credit is stellar and I pay my bill off every month. Capital One is the worst credit card company I have ever used. They also have no mechanism for registering complaints.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I use my Capital One card on a regular basis for day to day purchases and pay my card off every month. I just bought a new house and wanted to buy my appliances at Costco using my Capital One card. I called Capital One to get a limit increase so that I could buy the appliances and was told that, despite the fact that I have amazing credit, my card usage was too low and was declined. I tried talking to a customer service rep, an account specialist and a manager and had the same useless message repeated to me. Nobody attempted to work with me as an individual and nobody offered any form of customer service. They essentially read from a script and said that they couldn't help me. I will be canceling my card with them and letting everyone I know NOT to use them for credit.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

This company is really bad. They are super money hungry and they don’t care at all about your desires. They get so happy when they can charge you a fee. They could be really good company but they don’t seem to care to try to be care about people. Fees are super bad. I’m broke because of their annual fees and monthly fees.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

They are not interested in customer happiness. I have multiple other cards, all from different companies and I haven’t had an issue with any of the others. However, I have had MANY issues with Capital One. One of my first credit card accounts and it is absolutely the worst one by far. If it wouldn’t hurt my credit, I would close my account with them.

DO NOT open an account for any other reason than to improve your credit score by having another open account. Also, DO NOT expect them to approve a credit line increase. I’ve requested increases several times to raise my total credit limit and reduce my utilization rate. They always give a BS reason for denying the request. The last time I requested an increase, I had just got a large salary increase, I had about a 5.7% utilization rate on my Capital One account and about 28% total utilization rate across all accounts.

They said my request was denied because the usage of my existing credit line was too high. This has happened at least 5 time and none of my requests were ever approved. I’ve had this card for 10 years and the only increase I’ve received, (from the ridiculous initial $300 limit), was automatically done by Capital One, only a year or so ago. Save yourself the frustration and apply for another card to avoid dealing with Capital One altogether.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Received an email telling me that Capital One would be there to help its customers that were impacted by Hurricane Florence. When my wife called to talk to them about deferring this month's payment to help us out since we lost all our food and had storm damage and didn't have very much money to work with, they told her that they needed to talk to me to get my permission to speak to her. I got on the phone and gave them all my information and gave them my permission to speak to my wife, because I was having problems understanding her because I don't hear very well and she was talking 90 miles an hour.

When my wife got on the phone, she was told by the woman that she had to speak to me. I again told her that I could not understand her and she would not stop talking long enough to hear what I was trying to tell her. I got really upset and just told her not to worry about it and that it was obvious that Capital One was not interested in helping their customers. I will not refer Capital One to anyone, because it is obvious that they really don't care about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I spoke with Adrianne a supervisor and she didn't try to meet me halfway with a 3 day payment extension. She told me that I am receiving a late fee and she could not help me. My card was cancelled due to no resolution. I now have to pay on a card that I have no access.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I am a member since 2007 and I have never failed to pay single time. I forgot to pay the monthly bill just this time and paid the full current balance the day after. Yet they charged me over $50 as the interest for two months and when I called them and asked they said there is nothing to do. When I insisted that there must be something you could do, they easily said go off of the Capital One if I want to. What a customer service! I feel very disrespected and disappointed as a customer. They have no respect or value for their customers.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Everybody needs to read the Credit Card Act of 2009 which I just discovered. I am primary and I have two authorized users on my account. I contacted Capital One because on my Experian credit report they reported the wrong amount. It was $235 more. I told customer service that on my other reports and authorized users that everything was correct. They tell me I can dispute it with them. I did and what a mistake that was. They changed all credit bureau reports to the $235 more.

I spoke with them and it was explained to me by a customer service rep and an account specialist (If it actually was an account specialist) and was told that is what they do. I spoke to a supposed Supervisor and he said, "No. We don't do that." Well they did it. I wrote a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and I have made two more after that to protect myself.

They did not report what they said they were going to report to the credit bureaus and they changed my first reported dates during the process increasing the years from the original date. Had to dispute with two credit bureaus and am waiting on a report from another bureau because they can't see date first reported. What a mess. I would like to say that I called before all this happened and explained to a customer service rep that one of my authorized users applied for credit and couldn't get a credit score from Equifax. His response is, "It is not our fault if the credit bureau doesn't report the information we provide them." Well Capital One did not provide enough information. The credit bureaus are regulated the FTC and they have to report everything provided to them.

Then I find out that Capital One never reported my authorized user to Experian. In one Consumer Financial Protection Bureau complaint I ask them to report my authorized user to Experian and upload his Experian credit report to show they never reported them. I also ask that they make sure all information is updated on my other authorized user. Come to find out my other authorized user can't get an Equifax report which tells me that Capital One has either not reported him to Equifax or has not given enough personal information.

Got a call from Executive Offices, Resolution, she left a message. Call back and never receive call back until I make another complaint to the CFPB. She calls and I'm so tired of the whole situation I don't call her back. I get a call on September 20, 2018, from Executive Offices, Resolution, he left a message. I called back on September 24, 2018, had to leave a message.

The same person from Executive Offices calls on October 1, 2018, and leaves a message. He talks as though he never received my message from September 24th and wants me to leave on voicemail basically as to what I want done. I call back 23 minutes later and leave a message that I called you last Monday and I can't leave a message as to what I want done on a voicemail. We all know how long a voicemail goes and then you get cut during mid-sentence. I asked him to call me back. I have dealt with resolution specialists before and they never answer their phone.

February 28, 2018, called Capital One and asked to speak with an Account Specialist. I have spoken to supposed Account Specialists before. She says they don't have a phone number but she has an address I can write to. I said, "Why should I have to write a letter." Told her I'll dispute and make a complaint to the CFPB again. I believe they have me flagged now. I'm just waiting for them to close my account. I also decided after discovering it existed and reading the Credit Report Act of 2009, that took effect February 22, 2010, I would download all my statements that are left on the Website.

I found a discrepancy where my interest rate was raised 7% from a variable rate after the Credit Card Act went into effect. Didn't notice the increase until after I moved to another home and I specifically remember talking to a Capital One customer service rep and he could not tell me why my interest rate went up. So while the prime rate goes up so does my variable rate interest plus that extra 7% interest. According to the Credit Card Act, after February 22, 2010, if you are at a variable rate they can only increase your interest rate when the prime rate changes. There's a really big issue here for me because the prime rate at the time never increased. This may be a legal issue.

I started reading about credit cards last year and about how you can try to get interest rates reduced. I didn't even know you could do that. So with Capital One I did it last year for first time and they would only reduce rate for 6 months. Said they would not lower my interest rate. Sorry for the book, but I have found that dealing with Capital One is a nightmare from customer service, account specialists, and supervisors. You can't get a straight answer from anybody. I would like to add that it's not the overseas customer service reps it's the American customer service reps and American Account Specialists and Supervisors.

I always wonder when I call and they say they're transferring you to somebody if it is actually the department you want or if it's just another customer service rep. Beware when you ask a customer service rep a question and they put you on hold. That means they don't know the answer and they're asking another customer service rep.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I would like to rate my experience MUCH higher. My nightmarish financial situation started spiraling downhill two years ago. I've had my Platinum MasterCard card for over 5 yrs and had maintained an excellent payment history until just about a year and a half ago. Medical costs started piling up, my husband went on FMLA and lost 40% of his income, then went on SS Disability and lost another 20%. Through it all, Capital One had my back. Sure, late fees and finance fees started piling up until it wasn't long until I was over my credit limit. I was PROACTIVE and called them as the signs of trouble with being able to meet my payments FIRST began.

I did not wait until they started calling me!!! I truly believe this helped salvage my situation with them. They were kind, understanding and one representative even sent me a gorgeous lightweight blanket filled with words of hope and encouragement! It has taken over 8 months to get to the point where I am UNDER my credit limit now though my balance is still too high for my liking. My payments are now "normal-ish" but doable. Their payment assistance program and department employees helped us with no doubt. Yes, I highly appreciate the opportunities they gave to save my card, help me through, and help to start rebuilding my credit again. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... If you are good to them they will most definitely be good to you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

6 months of late fees from Capital One, bank sends payment on their due date doesn't mean they get it, always got paid one day late. Capital One did not process payment even though bank sent payment on due date. Capital One did not even remove one late payment. Been a business customer for 15 years with 4 different cards, had several problems with this company. This will be my last. Stay away from their business, too many other good banks you can do business with.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

8 weeks ago both mine and my spouse's checking accounts were hacked into. Via fraudulent phone call pretending to be Capital One fraud department. However, I did not give the scammer any account info. As a result, over $1,000 was stolen from my Capital One checking account. After a week or so Capital One informed me that the money will be refunded. I asked them to close my account due to the fraud as well as the fact that I moved to an area where they do not have branches. Immediately after the fraud occurred I updated my account with my new mailing address.

After a week waiting for the refund check, I contacted the bank - I was informed by Capital One representative that the check was mailed to my old address. The rep stated that she will stop the check and issue me a new one which will be mailed to my new address. Another week wait - calling the bank again inquiring where is my check. Speaking to a supervisor at this point I was told that no-one can stop my check without an affidavit which I have to sign and mail back. So you have incompetent or poorly trained reps who gave me completely wrong info. Bank rep said - "We can do the affidavit over the phone Capital One rep will call you within 24 hours. 48 business hours..." no call.

Calling again - supervisor - "we are sorry for your trouble"... "I will escalate this." "What is your phone number and your email?" I already gave you that info 3 times... No email no affidavit in the mail several days later. Calling again... where is my money? Can you confirm via email or text to my phone that we spoke and you promised that the affidavit is on the way? Reply from the rep... no we cannot do either of those... So why the hell did you ask me for my number and email??? What company is unable to confirm in writing any information.

At this point, I am recording my calls. Another weekend goes by... no affidavit in my mail, no check. Another conversation with yet another supervisor - ... where is my check? Answer... "I don't know" - where is my affidavit? Do you have any record that it was mailed? Answer: "No." Am I dealing here with a national bank or bunch of thieves? Question: Are you aware that even if the check was mailed due to your negligence to my old address - all my mail from that address is being forwarded to my new address? But month later - there is no check?? Forwarded or otherwise... At this point I consider my money stolen or illegally held by Capital One Bank... Spent hours waiting for their reps to be available in the first place. Please DO NOT USE CAPITAL ONE - sooner or later you will get screwed!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My account has been set up on auto pay for years. All of a sudden, I log in and the account is overdue. No payment was deducted from my checking account. When I reached out to Capital One they said that they did not try to send me an alert because my email was old. WHAT??!! So instead of picking up the phone and calling, they did nothing - except charge me an overage fee.

Good luck getting ahold of these people. For reasons unknown they actually don't have an email function (yes, in 2018, no secure email) or a chat function and they try to dump you in 1-800 hell. After spending 20 minutes trying to find a way to get ahold of them I messaged them on Facebook (so sad that anyone should have to resort to that) and they sent me a link for a chat. The representative was very unhelpful and transferred me to an equally unhelpful, unapologetic manager. When I voiced my concerns about the damage to my credit report his response was that the account has been late 14 times since it was opened. Are you serious? It was opened when I was in college over a decade ago, so yes, since then I have cleaned up my credit. How is that an appropriate response?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I recently closed my accounts after have them for over 10 years! I zeroed them out but to my surprise I was charged a fee of .31 cents! I called to let them know I have closed that I wanted to close the account, I was then informed that I wouldn’t be able to do so until I paid it! I now have to send in a money order for less than what it’ll cost to close my account! Disgusting! So glad I left this poor excuse for a bank!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I applied a new credit card online and got approved for 0% interest for purchases for 15 months. After 9 months, I received my bill with interest charges for purchases. I called and asked why I am getting billed with interest charges and Capital One said that I was only got approved for 9 months which I never saw on the letter when I received my new card. Plus there was no indication on the billing statements that my 0% will be expiring in 9 months.

As soon as I got billed for interest charges I paid all of my bill more than the statement balance & before the due date. Now, I got the next billing statement & I still get billed with interest charges. I called again & said that I need to pay off my bill in 2 consecutive billings. All of my credit cards as long as I paid the statement balance I never get charge for interest for the next billing. This is the worst credit card I ever applied. I have an excellent credit, almost 800 and yet the purchase rate I have with this "shady" credit card is 24.99%. NEVER APPLY FOR THIS CARD... IT'S BOGUS!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I pay my bill 3 weeks ahead of time and also pay extra on it every month. I have called Capital One many times to ask to have my interest rate lower and every time they say no. I have asked repeatedly why not and also have stopped using their card. They seem to have no respect for their good customers. All they want is to ** you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I have excellent credit and pay this bill off every month. Checking my statement I noticed the last digits of my cc number were wrong so I called to find out what happened. I was told my Visa had been converted to a Mastercard and my new card was on the way. Not one of the 5 agents there could tell me why except it was a 'business' decision... aka "You pay in full every month so we don't make money off you so screw you." The Mastercard sent 9 days ago is still not here and as soon as it gets here I'll cut it up and cancel my account. I've applied for a Visa from another company, not as many rewards... I so loved my Capital One Visa!! BUT, if I'd wanted a Mastercard I would have applied for one. I spend a lot at Costco and they don't accept Mastercard.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Had a Union Plus credit card for 15 years, never missed a payment. Capital One took over and I stopped receiving statements via mail and email. I complained but they said they are sending email and Yahoo accepting. I looked through all my mail and found nothing. This company is disgusting. I was on the phone with the representatives and requested a manager, the rep was far better spoken than the manager. They easily cancelled my 15 year account without any fuss. Because I am a responsible consumer and do not incur late fees? They charged me a late fee of $3! Will not break the bank but they would not explain their billing system and how everything was fine until they took over. I no longer carry their card.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have never really had an issue with this card till this month. Every month I get my statement on the 19th in the morning. When I wake up, it is available to view. This month it was very important for me to get it the same time as I am trying to apply for a mortgage next month and needed my score to go up a lot, I even took out money from my 401k to make sure my balance would be very low for when the statement comes out on the 19th, however this month it did not come out until the 20th. I am very upset, I called customer service numerous times and no one can give me an answer as to why it came out a day later, so all my pending transactions came out on the new statement making my balance higher than It would have been had it come out on the 19th as it was supposed to. No one there can help nor did they care.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Stupidly missed a payment. Very good about making payments with them on time, as I have two credit cards and a 360 car loan. They wouldn't reverse the $25 late fee. So I had to pay that. Before that, I got a $49 yearly maintenance fee for the honor of having their card. LOL! The $49 extra fee threw me off, things were tight, and because I didn't make a full minimum payment (my normal payment is $25, and that's what I always make, but due to the $49 fee, I was supposed to have made more). They then charged me $38 "underpayment fee." That made it so my payment due was $111. Couldn't afford it, they said they'd work out a schedule with me. Great. But that schedule included late fees as well. Crooks. I regret doing business with them. Disgusted.

Capital One Company Information