Merrick Bank

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My dealings with Merrick Bank have been subpar. I have had a card with them for 2 years. My account was closed and charged off with no notice or even a phone call. I have had issues with my bank which have since been resolved. A phone call could have prevented this situation. For a company that claims to help consumers they have completely ruined my credit. 1 letter and no phone calls? Would be... Could be... Might? Is no way to run a bank offering charge cards to build or reestablish credit. My suggestion? Don't do business with Merrick bank!!!

I’ve had this card about 2yrs or so. Until this year (Jan 2017) they started processing my payments after the due date and charging me the late fee plus interest! I called them. Nothing happened so I contacted the FDIC and voiced my complaint. Merrick then credited the late fee for 3 months. They told the FDIC that they had mail delivery problems due to bad weather. Bad weather for 6 months? Really? Well they did it again so I had to file another complaint. I’m on social security and I mail my bills out the same day every month.

My payment is due the 17th. I mail the check on the 3rd faithfully...but since January this year they are not cashing my checks until the 18th! And then charge me a late fee! I keep calling and they keep saying that’s when they got it! Up until this year there was no problems. They cashed my checks by the 5-6th of the month. I called the post office where my payment goes and they have not had a problem with the mail! They also said that it’s probably when they pick their mail up. Maybe they dont pick up the mail daily. I’m not paying anymore late fees to them! I cant believe the FDIC took that as a reason for them not posting payments (bad weather).

I had my Merrick Bank card for several years. I was unhappy with the very high-interest rate, but I paid the card off three years ago and just kept it on hand for emergencies. Then the Merrick Ripoff started. I had never been so much as a day late with a single payment, and I paid off my Merrick VISA card balance way early. Then, when a relative had an emergency I let her charge $1800 on my Merrick card and she agreed to make the payments. She has done this, and still never a late payment on the card. And yet, for some unfathomable reason other than corporate greed, out of the clear blue Merrick Bank sent me a notice that they were jacking up my APR to 28.45% (and 33.45% for cash advances). This is in addition to a flat $4.00/month that they charge for, I don't know, the privilege of letting them screw me over with ridiculously high-interest rates? It's greedy companies that do business like this that give Wall Street such a bad name.

I usually send a check through my bank to make my credit card payment so I have a record of the payment. Over the past two years the payment has posted to my account on the day my bank says it should be there. This time I sent a payment to pay off the credit card and the payment didn't show up. I contacted Merrick Bank on several occasions over a thirty day period to see if they received the payment. They said it never came so they suggested I have my bank cancel the payment and reissue the check for security purposes. I did just that.

The next day the check was deposited by Merrick Bank. They also hit me with a late fee and a returned check fee. I called to have them check my file to see where this whole process has been documented. They found the file and said it matches what I said so I asked if they would reconsider the fees due to the circumstances. I was told a supervisor will need to review the case. Haven't heard back yet. I'm interested to see how long they take to resolve this issue and what their answer will be.

The BEST card to have! - ABSOLUTELY NO upfront program or annual fees to pay, and as long as you make your payments on time you will get a credit limit increase!!! Even though I had bad credit and with me trying to rebuild it; I was given another chance to prove to creditors that I can and will be responsible! Thank you MERRICK BANK for giving me the opportunity and for keeping your word! :)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

I have appreciated having this credit card. The service has been very useful. I find your web page to be a bit awkward from time to time -- the dropdown menus are very sensitive. Now that I have proved to be a reliable customer, I appreciate a larger line of credit but I would even more appreciate a lower interest rate. I will be shopping around soon.

I have always been given prompt, professional, knowledgeable service from Merrick. They are courteous, patient and friendly and will do their best to resolve any issues immediately. They do what they say, when they say and follow up to make sure if customer satisfaction. I would recommend them to anyone.

I am very please with the credit card company. Everyone is very helpful and professional. Great card as well. The only thing I wish the limit on the card would be higher. Other than that perfect all around. :)

My experience with Merrick Bank online is a very good one. It is so easy to understand the layout, and maneuvering through each section is such a breeze. Also, maintaining your payments on time, has its rewards.

Merrick Bank helped me get back on my feet! After my divorce, I struggled because I had no credit in my name. Merrick bank approved me for a small amount, and over the years, after paying on time, I've been able to increase my credit limit and my credit score! They have been an important factor to my financial success!

I joined Merrick Bank because they promised to double my available credit after 6 months of paying on time. They did as promised. They also have easy to read statements and on-line payment. I am happy with this credit card company.

I made $500 payment from my checking account on 6/20/2017 that wasn't fully credited until 6/27 I was told for verification purposes. This hold seems unreasonable and will affect my likelihood of using this card in the future.

Merrick has been wonderful on helping me rebuild my damaged credit, after my husband destroying it by making me and my 11 year old pretty much homeless. It's been a struggle. Without credit it's impossible to establish yourself to obtain anything. They monitor your account and quickly pick up on fraudulent activity. They notified me right away. All I can say is thank you for a second chance.

Merrick Bank has been wonderful for myself and my wife. Given the opportunity to rebuild my credit, Merrick did exactly what they said they would do. The website is easy to use and I appreciate the opportunity to be trusted again. My wife has also opened an account.

Merrick Bank has provided great incentives for making timely payments. I appreciate the double your limit program when I made 7 consecutive payments. Customer Service team answered any question. Very pleased with Merrick Bank!!!

I use Merrick Credit Card for a lot of my purchases and have not had a single problem. If you need to contact the customer service department they have been helpful and friendly. I would recommend Merrick Credit Card to my friends and associates.

Merrick Bank has been a good resource in establishing and building my credit. They are responsive and supportive to customer needs. I had not heard of them before, so I'm so glad I was given the opportunity to apply for their card, since it's been a great and dependable one to have!

I don't like having to paying a service fee for A 2nd card or yearly service fee either with the high interest rates. Chase nor Capital One Charges me any service fees. That's why I paid the card off and stopped using it.

I have not had to contact customer service but I am able to do everything through the app on my phone. The app is a great way for me to maintain everything and pay more statement on time every month. Thanks Merrick!

I have been pleased with my Merrick Bank card thus far. I am not pleased that there was an initial set up fee, and now an annual fee. But other than those two factors I am pleased with the card. It provides for all of my consumer needs.

Just finished my first year with Merrick Bank, have been re building my credit and Merrick was my start. After this first year my credit score has gone up and they have been a great help. Couldn't ask for a better service and excellent rates. I plan to keep them as my #1 credit and can tell my line will get stronger. Thank you Merrick Bank!!!

I am so sorry I ever accepted a credit card from this bank. It does not matter how early you mail your payment. They will not process it until at least a week after it's due thereby allowing them to charge exorbitant fees. I hate this bank, I do not have a high balance and pay well within the 14 days of the due date but each payment I have sent has been processed after the due date. I use Chase bank for another account and never have any trouble. Payments are received and processed with a week. Even if they are mailed via USPS. Lesson Learned I'm closing my account with these gangsters ASAP! DO NOT USE MERRICK BANK.

I don't use my card anymore because I was making the minimum due, but wasn't getting anywhere as far as my balance going down. I paid more this month, hoping it would help. Now, for next month, they want $70 minimum due rather than around $39. Last time I spoke with them, I talked with someone in India. They are impossible to understand and I don't have the time to waste trying to talk to them. I want to cancel my card without having to speak to someone. Had I known dealing with them would be such a problem, I would have avoided them like the plague.

I was offered a credit card with this bank, only to find out the offer has ran out. I have never had a problem like this, why offer in the first place. This bank is full of crap and now I will never do business no matter how much they offer me to apply. Don't go for such a scam as this is!

I'LL NEVER DO BUSINESSES WITH MERRICK AGAIN. I paid the full balance of $ 128 and mailed it on 6/1/17. It was due on 6/5/17 now they say the previous bal. was 174.77. They wait to cash the check so you'll be late. It's a scam. I cut that card to pieces.

Merrick Bank notified me and asked me a few questions about my account and they advised me what to do and they closed that account and opened a new account with a new credit card without any charge to me and they even put back the money my account was charged before the account was closed. They also gave my account credit increases upon their review of my account. Also when my bank stopped a payment by error they didn't charge me a late fee or raise my interest fee. Their agents are very professional even when I'm locked out because my password didn't work. They walked me through the password change.

I received a pre-screen for a Merrick credit card and did quick online approval and was approved. I received card in the mail and NEVER used card, and was sent 1st bill for $155!! Annual fee and some other fee that was deducted from credit limit. It is as though you are paying for a credit card! I did not pay it and contacted them to cancel card and that I hadn't used it and didn't want it. They did… and reported to credit bureau! Now, I have negative mark on my credit for card I never used. I owe them for accepting (which I won't ever pay) on my credit! Be careful when accepting this high interest!

This place is a scam. How you gonna charge 100 to activate but then tell me I need to pay 15 just to speak with a representative. Then said rep tells you that the only way to make a payment is through my direct routing like gym memberships because you know there is no way to cancel a direct draw, but wanna be like "it's the bank's policy not ours" right...

Made bad decisions with my credit in the past and tried to rebuild with other companies. Merrick Bank accepted my application and has been great. Easy online payment arrangements. Would definitely recommend.

I am a new participant with Merrick Bank and I have been very satisfied with their explanations of their programs and expectations. I look forward to a long and satisfactory future with this institution.

Merrick Bank Company Profile