3.43/5
Based on 252 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 12, 2018

1422 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2018

Back in November I was notified that my credit score had dropped significantly, I am in the process of building a home to be finalized soon, I contacted Merrick and they said it was their mistake and sent me a letter. Today I received the same call from my bank (1 week away from closing) Merrick reported that I was late in March paying a $4 service charge and it dropped my score 50 points. I called to ask and they told me too bad. Really? Now because of $4 I may not be able to provide my kids with a home. I have auto payment set up so how can I be late?

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I received a very curt letter from Merrick Bank today stating that they were closing my account just because I hadn't used my credit card in a year. My limit was immediately lowered to $300 and it would be closed in thirty days, regardless of whether or not I used the card, and the account would not be reopened. I've had the card for a few years, I used it previously when necessary, and paid off my balance with no late payments or penalties. The letter even stated that it was based ONLY on the fact that I hadn't used it.

I really only have it for emergencies, so I wouldn't really care much except that it's going to lower my available open credit, and therefore my credit score. When I called the customer service rep said there was nothing she could do about it, and that it was in the fine print when I got the card (and I got her to admit that she never read the "fine print" herself). When I read the letter to her, she was shocked by how rude her own company was being to a good customer.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I had a Merrick Bank Master Card for 2 years. I rarely used the card and decided to close the account because of the annual service charges. I closed the account in January 2018 and had no balance or payments due. 3 months later they put on my credit report that I was delinquent in my payments and took a 60 point hit on my credit score. Now I have to go through a bunch of hassles to get it corrected. Their customer service was useless and had no explanation for the delinquent reports. I will never do business with Merrick again. Capital One is a much better company with no annual fees and great customer service.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have never had anything but positive experiences with Merrick credit card services. I have had my had for almost a year and they have been a dream to work with. I am sure I will rebuild great credit after my bankruptcy in no time. Thanks to Merrick Bank!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I was disappointed in seeing that my credit line looked to be increased on the website. I went to make a purchase & it was declined. I spoke to an agent that was completely professional, friendly and helpful. The online information was incorrect & the embarrassment it caused me was significant but the agent smoothed things out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have truly enjoyed the relationship I have with Merrick Bank. The policies were clearly explained and access to additional information is readily available. There's no "hidden" language which makes this an even better choice for financial services.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have nothing but high marks for Merrick Bank. For me, they have been a good company to work with. However, I do think it's mostly on my part... I make my payments on time, and usually pay more than the minimum. In response, Merrick Bank has indicated their trust in me by raising my limit, which has helped my credit rating. I've had no customer service issues with Merrick Bank. Overall, I rate them highly.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Huge late fee for five days past due. Never been late prior. Was a complete mistake on getting days mixed up. Every other card I have has a 7-10 day grace period. So I paid off the whole $650 balance and have no intention of using the card again. I understand it’s my fault by not complying with your particular policy. Also, my choice to no longer engage my finances with your absurd policies though.

Original review: May 1, 2018

If Merrick Bank was a person instead of a company, I can say that I would like to be their neighbor. They seem to be concern with their consumers and so prompt in fulfilling their promises. Prompt in responding to consumer concerns.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have had no problems. I appreciate the opportunity Merrick Bank has given me to improve my credit score. I would recommend this bank to anyone. The people having problems having learned the importance of paying back what they spend. This is a good bank. Customer service is very polite.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The people are very professional, good manners, very helpful and knowledgeable with all the offers your company give. The employees understand your needs and they try their best to make sure you understand.

Original review: April 30, 2018

It's a credit card account! No complaints! I'm not being hit with massive interest charges after ALWAYS making payments far & beyond the minimum required so no complaints. Now if Capital One worked this way I wouldn't be back in debt so deeply!

Original review: April 30, 2018

Merrick Bank has very easy to use online account. I love that they send me alerts and they stay in touch with customers through their online site. This is a card I definitely want to keep! Thank you Merrick for being there!

Original review: April 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick Bank has been top notch from the first interaction, to their customer service, to standing fast to their promises, to the credit line increase that literally made my day! Thank you Merrick Bank. I am quite impressed, quite pleased and would recommend this product (Credit Card) and Merrick Bank.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I tried Merrick Bank in an effort to better my credit as it had been damaged when I lost a home to foreclosure back in 2010 during the recession period. It was difficult to get any type of credit and Merrick Bank offered me a small line of credit to help me rebuild my credit score. Part of their plan was to increase my line of credit after six months of on-time payments. I made sure my payments were made on time and right about the sixth month they increased my line of credit without me having to ask for a review. A couple of competitors also offered the same but failed to review my performance. When I called to ask, they said they didn't do that and I could request a line increase with a fee. I was very disappointed by this and really praise Merrick Bank for their commitment to honesty, transparency, and for doing exactly what they said they'd do. Keep up the great work!

Original review: April 30, 2018

April 12, 2018 called customer service and found out I had a block on my account. I went through several different questions and they said based on my answers I needed to give them 3 things by fax. I complied and according to them after 3 attempts to find out if my information that was requested was received and the runaround from it takes 24-48 hours to it takes a while. My account is still blocked. I'm just going to pay out my account and no longer deal with the credit card.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Since they changed their new look I had to go change my password because I couldn't remember it and I followed their guide in doing it and it was very simple. This time I wrote everything down so in case they change again I will be prepared. Thank you for making it so easy.

Original review: April 30, 2018

A bit of confusion when first opened, but has been a pleasant experience since. Great customer service agents, willing to aid in any way possible, and easy to navigate website. Overall, very happy as a customer and have recommended.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I opened this card almost 2 years ago. They started my account with a paltry $600.00 CL. After almost 2 years, I have never missed a payment and I normally adhere to the 0-30% card utilization max rule across all of my accounts. They increased my CL to $1200.00 after a year approx. Since then, nothing. Since I use my credit wisely, do the math. I can safely use $360.00 on this card. I opened an American Express Blue Cash card a year ago and got an $11,300.00 CL which has already been increased to $17,300.00. This card and this bank is a joke. I'll keep it open for account age only, and maybe a fill up at the gas station every once in a while, but otherwise, it only takes up space in my wallet with no real use. Thanks Merrick.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have been on the phone 3 times with them to allow a charge from a hotel chain in another country to run my card. I've also authorized it via email for the charge to be allowed. The card has been "reset" twice... whatever that means, and I'm told it should go through. Each time (all 4, now), the card still gets declined. Then they have the audacity to tell me to not use strong language while on the call - here's an idea, DO YOUR ** JOB AND I WON'T HAVE TO... They complete morons and can't think past the end of their own noses to realize how frustrating it is for a CUSTOMER not to be able to use their card not to mention the countless hours spent on the phone with them and the hotel chain trying to figure out why it isn't working - and you wonder why I'm cussing???? **, SINCERELY. The good news is I have $83.00 to pay off my current balance and I will canceling this card and never using them again.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My Merrick Bank Card is my favorite credit card and the only one I really use for large purchases. I haven't had any inconveniences with it and my online account has been easy to navigate and make payments on. The only issue I've run into has been not being able to figure out how to add a family member onto my account or if that is even possible. Everything else had been great.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I pay my bills by mailing checks 9 to 10 days before they're due, and 99% of them arrive and clear my Bank within 5 to 6 days. These crooks at Merrick Bank seem to sit on their incoming mail for a few days before they even post your payment, and how convenient for them that in more than one occasion they have posted my payment the day after the due date, after which they hit me with a $27.00 late fee. And when you call them, they refuse to refund the late and tell you to next time mail your payment 12 days before the due date. Gee I'm sorry but it doesn't take 10 days for a letter to travel from SC to wherever the hell they are, and since I have zero tolerance when it comes to dealing with thieves, scammers, and crooks, this is one account that I will soon be closing. This is the one and only credit card company that I have this problem with.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have held a Merrick credit card for over 15 years. Always in good standing. However, I seldom use the card. The reason being is a simple issue I once addressed with their customer service department turned into a nightmare and went unresolved. I login to the account monthly to ensure no fraud on the account. Today I found it was not able to be accessed and it advised to immediately call their CSD. I spoke with several different ladies (I was hung up on multiple times. I suppose the issue was too complicated for these reps), and finally spoke with Shamira (SIC?), what a joy, as she sang da-da-da-, placed me on hold, then fiddled about and finally said she couldn't help (though this was the number I was advised to immediately call, and that a department that could help refused to take the call but I could try back in 48 hours and they might take the call then.)

I am assuming the account was closed due to not being used often... though Shamira believes it was being charged off (with no balance I explained that would not be applicable). All said Merrick Bank's service is extremely poor. I wish that as consumers we had a way to criminally charge a company's CEO when their employees waste and abuse their customer's time. I bet a miraculous improvement in service would occur!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I received a mail offer from Merrick Bank for a credit card. Said that I was pre-approved!! I got it in the mail yesterday!! There is NO way that my credit rating changed from the time that they sent it to me. Seemed like a good offer and would give me a chance to replace a card that I wanted to pay off and get rid of. So I got online and applied. Now I know that it says that I could be denied BUT here is my problem with that. There is now a hard credit inquiry on my credit report!!! They should not send out these offers if they are not going to honor them!!! It's not fair to the consumer!! If I made a mistake and entered something incorrectly or didn't check all the boxes then I should be able to go back and fix those mistakes. So they don't need to send me any more offers!! Don't waste my time!!! Just remember when you accept one of these offers it affects your credit score!! Thanks Merrick for nothing!!!

Original review: April 12, 2018

After many years of a good experience with Merrick Bank I paid off my card. Never late, good customer and without warning sends me a letter that my account closed for non usage in a year with no balance. In the past year I had an accident and did not work and helped a family member in hospice. I cannot believe this bank's attitude that they will not reopen it. After all the bank made from me from being a good customer without any issues ever. I contacted customer service and spoke with a supervisor Tom. He told me they do not reopen nor advise in advance that there would be action for non usage. I have other bank's cards and if you forget for whatever reason they will advise their customer rather than dump them. This will no doubt affect my credit score and I will say to you to stay away from this bank. Seek other options. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU OR THE BUSINESS YOU GIVEN THEM!!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Got a letter in the mail, "Please apply. We will help fix your credit" which really isn’t that bad. Denied in one second. Thanks so much for lowering my credit by applying for your card. Stop sending me things in the mail. You really don’t help people. It will take me months to fix the damage done to my credit score by trusting your false advertising.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have had this credit card for a few years, and I reserve it for emergency use. I haven't needed to use it in a while. I received notification from Credit Karma that my account was closed, so I called customer service to ask why I didn't receive notice that this action would be taken. I was told that notice was sent and returned as undeliverable. I have lived at the same address the entire time I had this card. They will not reopen my account because "we don't do that." Even when I told them that I needed to use the card for a medical procedure, they wouldn't do anything, and told me I should have updated my address if I wanted to receive notifications from them. I want to know what address they had (the customer service rep wouldn't tell me).

This was my second, very bad experience with them. The first involved a dispute with a hotel that I never stayed at. They asked me to prove to them that I didn't stay there in order to successfully dispute the charge. The only thing they would accept was a bill from the hotel. I didn't have a bill from the hotel because I didn't stay there. These morons couldn't understand that, and I ended up having to pay nearly $600 in fraudulent charges. I do not recommend this card to anyone. If you have poor credit, go with another company that specializes in that. Merrick Bank's "customer service" is terrible, and in my opinion, they are a shady company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Got credit card things worked fine. Limit was doubled as promised in amount of time promised. All payments made on time, no over limit. Then after a year by December 2017 credit card account not reported to credit bureaus. Called and got no help at all. This affected my very good credit score. When I do have to do and dispute about charges to credit card. They are ignored 100%. Told not responsible for charges but I pay them off because Merrick Bank does one things only cancel my credit card and send a new one. It takes time and during that time I can’t use my credit card. Useless to call and try to fix any issues with Merrick Bank. Charged annual fee that is way too much and can’t stand. They wait until last day of statement to charge it. Never shows up as charge to pay off.

Plus charges too much monthly annual fee and even their mistake after many calls hasn’t been fixed. My credit score is very good to excellent and don’t use this credit card anymore. Have credit cards with 7x the $1000 limit on this card. No annual fee and better rewards and customer service. This card helped me after not using any credit for 10 years and having zero debt. Good income for 33 years as USPS employee after divorce and Great Recession. I didn’t use credit or borrow any money after Great Recession and way banks messed up economy. I can still pay for everything without borrowing money or using credit and only have credit cards and borrow to increase credit score. Credit cards with $0 balance and always in good standing canceled during Great Recession for no valid reason.

Paid off all my houses and autos and bills having zero debt and steady good income. I didn’t use credit or borrow money for 10 years. After 10 years good credit falls off credit report and credit score goes way down from not using credit or borrowing money. Only reason I got this credit card. Honestly feel I am very responsible paying for everything always have been. No bankruptcy or charge offs or other problems not even late payments in my entire credit history. I feel Merrick Bank could do a much better job and that I pay monthly annual fee that’s too high, customer service is poor and no benefits in using card to charge anything.

Basically I use card monthly maybe $5 a month pay it off and just have constant small usage reported to credit bureaus to help my credit score go to excellent and stay there. Closing card would lower credit score. Merrick Bank paying attention to my excellent credit score offering me better benefits would make me use Merrick Bank credit card more. They could do better if they catered to people who excellent and very good credit scores. Not just a poor credit scope people to help them rebuild credit. Merrick Bank Too Difficult To Deal With & No Benefits.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Merrick Bank received a Power of Attorney from National Debt Relief. As a result they blocked my card use. I have paid the card down considerably and did not authorize NDR to contact Merrick Bank. I have placed seven phone calls trying to resolve this issue. The Card Services Department that handles this type of issue is only open for 2 hours, between 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. (ET). I have called this department three times and have been on hold for the duration of 2 hours, only to hear an automated message stating, "We are closed. Please call back during normal business hours between 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Monday - Friday." Here is the direct number, 877-487-5598. I also sent a letter asking to reinstate my charging privileges.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I did electronic bill pay to add more money to my account because I was renting a car and I didn't want any problems getting the rental. I currently have a credit on my account for $78 that I was told couldn't be credited to my card until the $200 hold that Hertz placed on my card was released... The supervisor told me to call back once the hold was released. One day after the hold was released I call back to Merrick Bank and speak with a supervisor to get MY $78 placed on MY account so I wouldn't have to mail a payment out. The supervisor tells me they would have to mail me a check that I SHOULD receive in 7-10 business days. I explained to her that, "The check you're mailing me will only be sent back to you as payment, why can't you just keep it and deposit it into my account..." She said they can't. :-( What an unbelievable experience. DON'T WASTE CUSTOMER'S TIME... JUST STOP IT!!!

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information