Merrick Bank

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I fell on hard times. Was making payments, but had late fees. That's was killing me. So I called, they said I pay $207 and they would get rid of late fees. So I set the payment up. I got a letter in the mail from my bank saying the payment was returned because the agent I talked to put the money to be taken out of the wrong account. I have two accounts on file. I know I told her what account to take the payment out of and she picked the wrong one. So I called and told them what account to take the payment out of and they did went through no problem.

I was also told by the agent at the time I made this payment out of the right account I would still get my fees returned not a problem and it would be within 24 to 48 hours. Checked 24-48 hours later not returned. Called in again and talked to another agent whom again said my late fees would definitely be returned it would take 24-48 hours. 48 hours later, checked, nope. So called in again, this time wanted to talk to a supervisor, said would be put on hold. Agent came back, said no supervisor available, sent me to a voicemail, so on. Would call me back. Nope didn't hear from one. Called again, same exact thing. Was told supervisor wasn't available and was sent to voicemail to leave a message. Again didn't hear back. Called again, of course supervisor not available, said I would keep calling and calling until I spoke with one.

Finally spoke with one. She said my account was reviewed and fees would not be returned because my payment was returned. I said, "But I paid the payment as soon as I found out and it went through and was told by multiple agents I would have all late fees returned." She basically told me that's not what I was told, of course I said I know what I was told, and this wouldn't have happened in the first place if the very first agent I talked to would not have picked the wrong account to make the payment on.

She then told I had until the 19th to clear the payment up when it was returned I said my payment was paid on the 18th, then paused and kinda stumbled over her words because she knew I caught her. Then she told me to hold. She came back on and said my fees were not going to be returned I asked why after what she just told me. She said she reviewed the phone call herself and originally it was not the wrong account number and I verified the account number. I asked "I want to hear the recording." She said "no we can't do that." "Then how do I know you're not lying and you just don't want to admit to your mistakes and you totally just told me something totally different before putting me on hold."

She said all she can do is return two late fees that's it. I was so mad by this time I was telling her whatever and cussing at her and saying this is ridiculous. Finally said whatever. This is the worst credit card I have ever had and I have three others. So I still have this big Bill after already paying $207 and was told multiple times I would have all late fees returned. All the agents were pretty much rude especially the girls I talked to. They were so judgmental in their voice it's not even funny. They have no idea what has been going in in my life. I wish there was a corporate number but it's the regular customer service number. They totally screw you over. And don't want to admit when they are wrong and will do anything to cover up their mistakes. If you are thinking about getting the card don't do it. I wish I never had.

Take a deep breath before I go in on this wretched ass bank. These rip-off consumer snake ass idiots are so damn disgusting to the point they should not be in business. I have caught these idiots in so many lies until I honestly think they all are regular riders on that short yellow school bus. If you are trying to pay off their high interest visa card, they will find some grimy way to get extra money out of you with their famous "late payment" scheme. I have proven every single time that my payment was not late and that their lazy workers continue on processing the payment late to make it late not that it was received late.

If my payment is due on 23rd of each month and I mailed the payment on the 17th, it supposedly did not reach them until the 24th and processed on the 25th. However when I mail the payment on a Friday, the payment will reach them in time to process on a Sunday. How can this be if it take one month 3-4 days and in any month they choose to make it late it takes 10 or more days. I have told their supervisors that the Federal and State Attorneys General offices will be notified of their illegal practices because there are other consumers with the same issues as mine. We as consumers do have a platform against this illegal practice from these stealing banks. So everyone charged with felonious late charges contact those offices and your attorney because we all cannot be wrong. Everyone have a Happy Mother's Day despite of this stealing bank.

A few years ago my wife passed from Pancreatic cancer and I have been raising 2 kids by myself ever since. Due to medical bills and the general hardship of the situation my credit dropped significantly. I decided to try and use the Merrick Bank card to help rebuild my credit. In theory you pay on time for 6 months and they raise your limit. I paid on time every month but when it came time for the 6th their archaic website wasn't working for 4 days right as my payment came due. I called for assistance and they said they were also experiencing technical issues and to keep trying. In the end I paid before the late date but they posted one day late. I tried to get them to leave the late mark since it was due to their technical difficulties but they refused.

The damage: because of the one day, one time late mark which was their fault my interest shot up above 30%. They did not raise my credit limit and they reported the late payment to all three credit bureaus. I am now worse off. I suspect the website technical issues were staged to trip people. Watch out - They are a textbook financial predator. THIS IS A TRAP!

I was one of the account holders with Merrick Bank Visa card (Platinum) for some time, never missed payment, used their card responsibly. I was out of states for several months, after coming back today I called Merrick bank to get up to date APR info and increased line, and I was surprised to hear that they closed my account. I asked why it was closed. They stated that there was no activity and that is closed. Some of you may not know when this kind of account closing happens that affects your credit big time. So be careful dealing with this bank. THIS BANK WILL MESS YOUR CREDIT. THINK TWICE BEFORE APPLYING CARD WITH THIS BANK. I am not worried their damn card but I am worried about my credit.

This bank is only here to rip you off with higher interest rates, when you don't use their card they will close your account and send to 3 major credit bureau to mess your credit. ABSOLUTELY BAD SERVICE, I was told they can't reopen my account at any cost. I have recorded all the conversation that I had with their rep, and am going to consult with my attorney to see if I can stop them messing my credit. So be careful with so called MERRICK BANK credit card. They will MESS UP YOUR CREDIT IF YOU DON'T USE THEIR CARD TO PAY HIGH APR.

I've been with Merrick about two years. I recently called to try and get a lower interest rate. They said they never negotiate interest rates and if I wish to close the account that was okay. They did absolutely nothing to try and keep me as a cardholder.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Merrick Bank provides professional, friendly, informative, uncomplicated, quality, and helpful service that help me as I pursue my professional and family life. If I need help with finances I can go to their website and find answers to make my life easier. The website is easy to access and navigate through, plus, if I have questions about my account I get fast and quality help. I can also help my son who is a veteran as he pursues school and a career in another state. Thanks to my Merrick Bank card and its easy access. I would refer my friends and family to Merrick Bank. Thanks a lot for the professional and quality care!

I went through a divorce in a long term marriage where we owned a business. I did not get the business, so had to be released from any liability through BKCY. My credit was shot! Merrick was the only bank that would give me a credit card. I started with a $200 limit, but the goal was to prove I was financially responsible. No hidden fees or startup fees. I paid on time every month, paying off the balance. I'm now at a $2000 limit and have been encouraged along the way with every increase, which matches increases in my credit score, which is now, three years later, is in the excellent range. Being a financially responsible woman, it was hard to suddenly be seen as a poor credit risk, but Merrick helped me reestablish credit. Thankful!

I've had nothing but a pleasant experience with Merrick Bank. Paying my bill is very simple using their website period. They've always been very fair about raising my credit limit regularly. I don't really know what else I can say except they're very good company.

Merrick Bank has a good card, reasonable interest rates (although I don't carry a balance). I only have one complaint, their website is very dated feeling, it's like a site one would have used in the late 90's or early 2000's. I would like to point out that the site does have all the features necessary to view statements, transactions, and complete payments, it's just antiquated feeling. I think an upgrade would be beneficial to both the bank and the consumer, also, offering 2 factor authentication would provide another layer of security.

Merrick has been an outstanding credit card. I have been rewarded for paying on time and they are a secure card. I have been able to travel with security and know that my card is protected using the chip technology.

So far everything is great. But I downloaded the app for my iPhone. And after about a week it stopped working. I called and the man said it was being worked on. And still it do not work on my iPhone. I have to log into the full site to view my account.

About a year ago, I opened a credit card account with Merrick Bank. The application process was easy, and my experience using my account and accessing it online and via the app has been awesome. After six months or so, I have already received my first credit limit increase. I would highly recommend Merrick Bank to others!

Has been a great asset in rebuilding my credit. Couldn't get approved for other cards so "settled" with Merrick. After less than a year my credit line has increased quite a few times and each time has also raised my credit score. Interest is competitive with other cards at my current score.

My experience with Merrick has been very professional. At an event in Detroit - one of your representative called to let me know about charges on my account that was suspicious. Hotel was contacted the charges were reversed. Thanks for the call

My experiences in dealing with Merrick Bank is truly great, no problems. More than enough time to make payments on your credit card. Informative as to any policy changes. Their site is easy to manage and accurate. I have really enjoyed dealing with a great institution. Thank you.

Merrick was one of the first institutions to offer me credit as I rebuilt my credit. Their online tools are great for setting up payments and they offer great credit alert features. They also care about your maintaining good credit by offering your credit score for free. As my credit has gotten better Merrick has rewarded me with higher credit limits without a request. Great credit services. Everything you could ask for.

Very pleased with Merrick Bank. Always on time and accurate. Of the few times I have needed to call to the office I have been greeted by a friendly and informative person that is actually able to speak English. I have never had a problem left unresolved nor have I finished any communication with them that I hung up angrily. These guys are just that awesome.

Shortly after receiving my replacement credit card, I activated the card, peeled the phone number off and started using it. A few weeks later I noticed that a lot of charges I had made were now being rejected (charitable contributions). I made about 50 of them. When I tried calling and explaining what was occurring, I was brushed off with a quick, "You failed to activate the card". No, that is not true, I did activate it and made an immediate purchase and it worked. Why now is everyone saying I haven't activated the card.

I escalated the matter two levels and was told I would get a call back in 4 to 5 days. It never happened. Finally I went and reactivated the card again. No thanks to Merrick Bank. I had over 50 charges that were being processed when Merrick decided to start kicking them back. I have had to re-process all of the charges again. All I get out of this is that Merrick Bank wants to assume no responsibility for problems they create, and will not listen to their customers when they call. Under these circumstances I will not recommend Merrick Bank to any of my colleagues and I'm thinking about terminating my relationship with Merrick Bank.

Merrick Bank has been good to me. I appreciate that they were able to give me a credit card despite the lower credit score. As I paid timely, my credit limit also increased automatically. Now that my credit score has risen significantly, I am considering closing this account. These are the reasons why: 1) the annual fee of $60, 2) the monthly fee of $5, 3) the time it takes to process my payment to the card that is over $500. Another reason which is not a make it or break it reason is that the website is not up to par with other banks. Even a credit union has better graphics and security measures than Merrick Bank over the internet. Nonetheless, Merrick has been there for me when extra fund was needed and they've never charged wrongfully or reported anything incorrectly to the credit bureaus.

Since I applied for the card in December to help build my credit and buy Christmas gifts according to them I've only paid on time once. This is BS! I always send my payment a week before it's due and pay more than required. I am extremely upset about this. No way it takes more than 7 days for them to get the payment! I'm sick of being robbed and taken advantage of. Now I'm gonna have to take out a loan to pay them off and be done completely. I can't believe all the great reviews I read. Just my luck I guess! Thanks a lot!

If I could give it 0 stars I would. With all the banking laws, I don't know how Merrick skims through with their illegitimate practices. On 3 separate occasions I had to call to ask them to post my payments that I made. Not only did they not post my payments that were made 1-2 weeks in advance, but they charged me a late fee. After this happened twice I decided to pay off the card and stop doing business with this company. I did a balance transfer in the total amount, so that I could close my account and what happened?

You guessed it. They never posted it. Proceeded to charge me a late fee. Meanwhile I have the transaction posted on the credit card I transferred to, a week prior to my payment being due. I can't see that a bank is that irresponsible to "lose" payments or information, so to me this is a scam. If you pay your bill on time you should not have to harass a company to post your payment or argue about late charges. Seems they do this to see if they can get away with it. Worst credit card company EVER!

I haven't had any "real" issues with Merrick at all. Dealing with Merrick has been pretty smooth. I think perhaps their app may need a bit of revision in regards to the overall UI but it works and functional.

I am reestablishing my credit, and have gotten my credit score up to the mid 600s. I've never had a late payment and I usually pay more than the minimum payment. I called to negotiate a better interest rate, and I was told that they don't do that. As soon as this account is paid in full, I will be closing this, and finding a card with a better interest rate.

I have not had any dealings as yet with Customer Service, but so far the card has delivered on its advertised promises. My credit limit was increased automatically, and the minimum monthly payment is more than reasonable. My only issue is the annual fee.

Merrick is a good starter card. Interest rate is kinda high, which is why I rated lower. Which being a starter card you can understand, however after some on time payments they should lower it. As you've proved yourself, as well as increasing the credit lines.

I have been a card holder with Merrick Bank for over a year and a half and they have always given me excellent customer service. They always respond professionally, knowledgeable and honestly to my concerns. It has been my pleasure doing business with Merrick Bank and I look forward to a long business relationship with them.

My experience with Merrick has been wonderful, I wasn't sure the ad and offer of their invitation to apply would turn out true. The INVITATION to apply said if approved and you made the first 6 payment on time they would double your credit line. For me that was going from 600.00 to 1200.00 dollars. After making 6 payments on time I got a email saying my credit line was increase to 1200.00. They stick to their word. That a great thing today.

What's disturbing is when I call to dispute a charge, I provide all the necessary details as to why I'm disputing a particular charge, then receive a letter in the mail requesting the same information. Discover and State Farm Visa doesn't require this process. If Merrick could not have customers send in correspondence as to the same information I provided to the previous customer service agent, that would be great.

I am appreciative to Merrick Bank for the service they provide. They were the one credit card company that was willing to give me a chance at credit recovery. Their service has been professional and courteous in all areas that I needed them.

Overall my experience with Merrick Bank is good. Areas that they could improve upon are creating a better mobile app, offering some type of rewards program or cash back incentive, and removing the annual fee. Interest rates seem ok for the type of card that it is, but could be reduced over time.

Merrick Bank Company Profile