3.33/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1630 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 30, 2019

I'd never heard of Merrick Bank before I received a pre-approval offer in the mail. The promotional offer was too good to pass up, so I applied. I could not be more pleased with this card. Started out as a reasonable and generous credit limit and have been given several increases automatically with no hit to my hard inquiries. Has served to increase my credit score. Monthly FICO scores are ACTUAL FICO scores and not just bureau scores. It took me a little while to adjust to the new website design, but it is straightforward and tells you EXACTLY how much interest will be charged and how long it will take to pay off your balance if you make only the minimum payments. The minimum payment amounts are manageable if you need to use your card for emergencies.

OUTSTANDING customer service. I've never had a problem, so I've never needed to call anyone, but I receive friendly emails and letters when they need to communicate information regarding my account. Merrick Bank provides you with the resources to build a solid credit foundation and they reward responsible credit use!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have had a Merrick Bank credit card for over two years now. It started with a $700 credit limit when I first got it and I have had regular increases in my limits to now be up to $1900. The card is great. I can check my balances and make payments online and set up regular recurring payments so that I never get charged a late fee. I originally got the card when I had not so great credit. Since then not only have I had the regular credit increases, I’ve qualified to buy a house, and continued to use my card wisely.

My only complaint is the annual fee on the card. I paid the fee and fall as part of my balance when I first got the card in my first year. Now I get charged a fee every month as a partial payments towards my annual fee. In some ways it’s nice to spread out the annual fee, but I have also found out about people who have the same card and don’t pay any fee at all. I understand that my credit was not great when I first got the card but with all of the increases in my credit limit that I’ve gotten you would think that there would have been an offer to waive my annual fee by now.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was a Merrick Bank customer for several years. NEVER late on a payment, NEVER missed a payment, NEVER failed to pay at least the minimum amount due, and 99% of the time paid more than the minimum, usually rounding it up to the next hundred. Never had any issues. I paid my account off in full last September 2017, and due to having received a Discover IT card, hadn't been using the Merrick Card.

Well, yesterday I received a letter from them stating they had closed my account because I hadn't used it in a year. That wouldn't really matter to me other than, credit scores are based on a credit ratio. The amount of credit you're using out of your overall available credit. That's fine and dandy until one of your cards just up and closes down, leaving you several thousand dollars short in the "available credit" column. That plays hell with a credit score. It happened to me with another card, too. Barclay's. Same thing. I never missed a payment, never late, and never failed to pay minimum amount due, usually rounding it off to the next hundred. It's as though these credit card companies and banks are punishing you for being a really good, responsible customer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have many credit cards and honestly think this one is my favorite. The interest rate is a little higher, but the way they have it set up makes paying and viewing your bill simple. I can pay my bill the day after a charge and do not have to wait for 30 days or until processing. I prefer to keep my card low, but show activity so paying it within a few days of use is what I like. Many other cards do not allow you to pay days after a charge or you are unable to make multiple payments per month. Merrick Bank is easy to work with and fair. I’ve received multiple credit line increases and am notified by a simple email and have electronic bills. Perfect card for beginners, too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: June 19, 2019

I am thrilled with the Bank, the Credit Card and the service from the representative I spoke to in early May. I like the look of the credit card. I recommend the Bank to my friends. Keep up the good work.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Of all the many credit card companies I have worked with over the years, Merrick Bank is definitely the best. They have been fair and accurate from the start in the presentation of their offerings. Their phone system is superb for those of us who still prefer this to online tracking. I give them an A+ in all their communications with customers. Thank you, Merrick Bank!!

Original review: June 15, 2019

Bunch of PIMPS! Watch because they will not give you payment alerts. Had some info compromised, called to check. Payment 1 day late, 35$ and "WE CAN TAKE PAYMENT FOR 10 EXTRA DOLLARS." NEVER missed 1 payment. My fault, my responsibility. Just like getting this card paying off, cutting up.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Application was easy. Received the card in a timely manner. Credit line doubled after 6 payments as advertised!! Received another CLI a few months after that. I love the card because of the higher limits! Website is easy to navigate. Payments always post on time.

Original review: June 5, 2019

They have always been fair, friendly, professional and honest, I use my card often, pay my bill on time or mostly early and would recommend Merrick Bank to everyone needing a great credit building card.

Original review: June 5, 2019

When I had fraud on my account (across all of my bank accounts from a case of identity theft), the account rep and security department all but point-blank accused me of lying and neglected to take my account seriously, causing a severe delay of rectifying my situation. Given this mistrust, I will be closing my account as soon as my card is paid off.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Merrick Bank has been good so far! This is my first credit card, and the experience is going well. The app is really helpful for keeping track of everything and making payments. My only complaint is how long it takes to process everything, but I can't really fault the bank for me being impatient.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I have been a good customer, and I never received my double my credit limit. I called to speak to a representative, and she said that there is nothing she could do about that. She never offered any solution.

Original review: May 25, 2019

OMG. I keep a ZERO balance on this card. Decided to use it to purchase a plane ticket. Card was declined!! Went online and saw a past due payment of $4.00!!! WTH! Allen and they said "That's correct ". Asked why don't they take the annual fee out yearly. Response: "We can't do that". Once again. Wth!!!

Original review: May 25, 2019

Bad Customer Service for RV Loan Department. I called Merrick Bank to let them know that I sent a check out for payment. The guy on the phone was rude and not very cooperative. I asked him to notate my account and told him how much I sent. He got mad that I sent total payment to the payment address and pretty much was a jerk about me sending it. I would not recommend this company. This was the only company that the dealership used in which I did not know who it was.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I have had nothing but good experiences with Merrick Bank. They helped me re-establish my credit after a divorce. Their website is easy to use. The phone payment service is very up to date and convenient. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Absolutely, unequivocally the worst experience with any company I've ever had. I tried to make several payments over the course of a month and they continued to get declined which did not make sense to me as I knew the money was in my account. After several calls, they figured out and admitted that there was an error made by their app that made my bank account show as all zeros. Even after we found out what the issue was and that it was an error on there, they still refused to fix the negative reporting to my credit. On top of that, I spoke to 5 different people and finally someone told me that they would remove a late fee charge AND a NSF charge due to the error on the app. I told her I wanted to speak to someone about getting the negative reporting off my credit. To which she said "My shift is over and I can't wait for a supervisor so I'll transfer you to an answering service." (Now the THIRD time I had been transferred to management answering service).

I called in a week or so later after never receiving a return to ANY of my messages to the supervisors. This time, the lady tells me they understand that it was an error as to why my payments didn't go through, but they were still refusing to remove the negative reporting on my credit. ON TOP OF THAT, she tells me "Sorry that you were promised a NSF and late fee charge being refunded, but we can only do one." So even though the previous representative promised both of those to be removed on a recorded line, they decide to retract that. She then tells me she got a supervisor and will transfer me after I insisted. She did not transfer to a person, but just to the answering machine for me to leave YET ANOTHER MESSAGE - (MY FIFTH). Absolutely, the worst customer service I've ever experienced in my life. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from this crooked company.

Original review: May 17, 2019

My experience with your Bank has been average. The positives would be:

1. GoScore
2. Periodic offers
3. Fingerprint login
4. Account alerts

5. Quick Freeze

Needs improvement:
1. Give good customers more generous limit increases.
2. Your best customers should be offered lower interest rates.

3. Provide an email address for Customer Service.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I was initially interested in the credit line doubling after 6 months... which did happen on time. After, they have treated me well with another incremental line bump (without asking) and no hassle payment system. The website has gotten MUCH better over time as well.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I’ve been with Merrick Bank for over 15 years. They were one of the first credit cards that I qualified for after my bankruptcy with no annual fee. Their rate still remains one of the lowest that I have to this day.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I registered for online banking so I can check on line my balance, my due date for payment, my available credit etc.. so at first I was able to see my bank statement and was able to pay online without delay.. then all of a sudden I can’t access my account online no matter how I tried so it is difficult for me to pay or transfer money online.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I’ve been with them for almost a year now and I absolutely love them. I’ve had no issues whatsoever with this credit card company. I’m hoping to keep building a relationship with them and for my credit limit to continue going up. Everything from the startup to now was laid out plainly for me. I’m not understanding all the people saying they misread or misunderstood before they signed up. It’s kind of rude to leave a negative review because you read incorrectly. The app is great, payments are easy. They are very generous with their credit line and credit increases. Don’t see where you could go wrong unless you're not a responsible person.

Original review: May 7, 2019

This bank was the only bank that would issue me a credit card after having bad credit a few years back. Things change in people's lives and since my bad credit I have done much better thanks to Merrick Bank. There are no fees which I love. Would like my APR reduced however I can't have everything.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Merrick Bank has been wonderful! They are helpful in building/rebuilding credit and are fairly lenient. They reward good habits and don’t overly punish mistakes in the hopes that they won’t add more stress or debt to your life! I highly recommend!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I am new to having a credit card I believe the Merrick app is easy to use. Everything is all there. You can use it to view statement and pay your bill. It’s nice to be able to monitor all your activities and when your bill is due all on the same app.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My experience with Merrick has been excellent. I feel informed, and feel more " in charge" of our financial well- being. Merrick also gives us the most current information on our account 24 hours a day.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I applied to them after they sent me a pre-approval letter to my previous address. I updated my address and submitted the application. I never heard back from them. I just called them today because my credit was hit from them but I never received a response. I talked to a very rude rep from the credit department named Julio who admitted that they sent a request for more information to the wrong address - neither the old one or the new one. He said the offer has expired. I told him I certainly would not want to have given my authorization to pull my credit for an offer they sent me and not even be considered because they sent a request for more information to the wrong address, so I'd like to provide the information.

Julio arrogantly told me "That's not how it works. You gave us permission to pull your credit regardless of what happens happens after that." I said I'd like to apply again. He said the offer has expired. WOW!!! I wish you could hear his attitude. He sounded like a frustrated bill collector and I didn't even owe them anything yet. The ironic thing is that my wife and I are proud to have never missed a single payment for any advancement of credit and I had to feel what it must feel like to have a debt collector talk to you with absolutely no respect or value from a company I don't owe a dime to. I wouldn't want to do business with them and I'm going to dispute the credit check.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have an account with Merrick. I am Very Very pleased with the use of this card and the online ability to view my account, make changes and make payments. I am also set up for account alerts, which gives me peace of mind.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have been trying to reach a rep at Merrick Bank via phone for several days now and cannot get through. I am on hold for an extremely, exaggerated period of time. I’m on hold for 3 hours and then this company disconnects the calls. This is very unprofessional. I have to call back, and then again on hold for another 3 hours, then the call is disconnected. It doesn’t matter what time of the day, early morning or late morning, this happens every time. It is a waste of time and the whole day is wasted. This issue should be fixed. This issue has been going on for several years with no resolution. This is preventing our clients’ accounts in receiving resolution. So after trying to reach them for several days, they finally picked up. I called Merrick bank at 9:02 am and someone finally picked up at 11:50 am (that is ridiculous). In the middle of discussing the account, they disconnected the call at 11:59 pm. REALLY! This company is the worst.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Merrick Bank issued me a credit card with a $2000 credit line, no other banking coops would extend me a credit line of $500, very grateful. I believe Merrick uses their own judgement on credit issue not third parties info. Thanks.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information