3.66/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Merrick Bank

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

1302 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I was excited to receive my credit card, I am very responsible when it comes to rebuild my credit after recovering from a trained. Everything was going great. I mail the payments for all my bills at the same time. The 3rd of each month, my due date for Merrick is the 17th. Somehow all my bills are credited no later than the 7th. Merrick claims to receive my payment on the 18th but does not post it until the 22nd of each month. Therefore I get a late fee every month. I was credited back 35 once but they have not given me a response on my request. I also sent in a 65 payment they claim was never received. I am now dealing with the money order company to find out if they were cashed. I am cutting this card up and sending it back to them.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I got my monthly statement and found a 38.00 late. My bill is due by the 27th and I paid that bill at 5:53 Eastern Standard Time. Technically it should have been credited on time. My bank shows paid, but they are claiming it wasn't credited until the 28th. My bank statement also shows it actually wasn't received until the 29th. Spoke with customer service and they say, it wasn't paid until the 28th, so you know. You gotta pay us. I've caught them in a lie, T-Mobile shows phone contact with them on the 27th at 5:53 pm. Go figure, Federal Trade Commission complaint time!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've been a member since May 2008 - nine years. I've never been over 60 days late on payment yet Merrick has been reporting negatively on my credit report. I requested that my credit limit be increased and the rep read off some nonsense that customers cannot request a credit increase; that Merrick periodically reviews accounts for increases. Well... it's been 9 years... No increase. My guess? They've been erroneously reporting my account as negative so they automatically passed me over for an increase without confirming whether the account is really a negative one. I hate them. I am closing my account as soon as they fix the drama on my credit report. BTW I've already contacted all three bureaus and launched an investigation. Merrick is a waste of my time and money. I want a credit card that actually has perks and doesn't make 9 years of mistakes in reporting customers' accounts. They have been doing me dirty for years and I'm sick of them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have had a Merrick credit card for over 4 years. I used it for exactly what their purpose was. Rebuild/establish my credit. All was fine. I charged it up paid it off. Established a good history with them. I have had it completely paid off for almost 2 years. I only used my credit card when needed and not by living above my means. Today I received the ONLY form of communication from them through the mail stating they had closed my account due to INACTIVITY.

Now I check my online account monthly to make sure I don’t owe any yearly fees and to make sure there has been no fraudulent activity. No communication from that mode either. So since this was one of my oldest accounts it has now affected my credit in a detrimental way. When I called customer service they told me some states don’t require any notice. She said I should of read that in my cardholder agreement. Yeah I’m sure we all do that. So BEWARE! I feel scammed and will advise anyone I know to not go with this company. Oh by the way I can reapply for a fee of course and another hit on my credit. SHADY!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I set up recurring payments and they submitted 3 times, I called them about this as they reversed the payment and came to say my payment was delinquent and reported it to the credit bureau.They Ignored the issue. For anyone having issues with the bank report them to the "CFPB", apparently this is common and they continue to get away with along with charging late fees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Merrick bank payment due on the 17th which I been paying on for the last three years. I got my mail on the 19 that month. Call the bank, talk to Mary **. She said, "Make the payment on the phone with us now and you won't get charge late fees." Well just got my bill on 9/30/2017 with the late fees!!! See you later Merrick Bank.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have never experienced such friendly service when it comes to credit cards. I use this card the most, after 7 months just like the offer said "after 7 consecutive on time payments, we will double your limit" and they did. Just amazing.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I'm on SS and get paid on 3rd of each month. I send out check on 1st or 2nd with all my other bills. Other creditors post payments no later than 8th. Why you don't post till 20 something is just a way to charge more interest. I know I'm only 1 little account but if you do this to all your customers 1 or 2 cent times the millions of customers is a LOT OF FREE MONEY. I'm not late on my payments. Last month I made elec. payment so not to give you more than was due by your representatives dragging their feet posting payments. I know that I'm not the only one you’re doing this to so clean up your act.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I will never use my Merrick Bank credit card again. I've never disputed a charge before and the one time that I did Merrick Bank made me jump through so many hoops to dispute the transaction and never refunded the money after telling me they were going to. Instead they mailed me a letter asking for the same information I had already given them twice already and they said that if I did not respond by a certain date that they will assume the merchant has taken care of the issue. The problem is by then the time frame had already gone and passed by the time I received their letter in the mail. This is a very low-end credit card and only good for beginners trying to build credit. Definitely not a credit card to be using once you are established.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

So far, so good. Merrick Bank has held up their end of the contract and has done what they said they will do. The offer was to make on-time payments, of course, and they will double the credit limit. This was done with no issue or even before I knew it was time. The interest rate is a little higher but that's to be expected. This is a rebuilder credit card. I have not had any problems with the use or in payments posting so far. Their website could be simplified as it's not as user-friendly as it could be. Overall, I am still happy with Merrick Bank and its product.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Start at 700 credit available, nearly max but I keep paying on time got raise. This is Good credit bank no complaints, felt this Merrick Bank is far better than a well known Captial One. Glad they approve me. If anyone asked me which branch they should apply for credit card, I would recommend them Merrick Bank, thanks.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have had a card with Merrick for about 9 months now. Everything has always went smooth and there have never been any problems. They told me to pay on time for 6 months and they would raise my limit. As soon as that had happened they raised my limit, I didn't have to even remind them. I would definitely recommend Merrick Bank.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Since opening my account with Merrick Bank, I have had nothing but positive experience with them. I find their pages easy to use, questions are answered easily. It is not difficult to find out my balances, my payment, dates due, my limits. Everything I need to know about my account is right there.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I really appreciated that fact that I was able to have advanced cash back within a short period-of-time. That meant a whole heck of a lot. I was able to pay what I had to pay and in return pay Merrick back in full. Thank you for such good services!! More than satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I not had any problems with this company, you live up to your end of the agreement and they will live up to theirs. I called customer service a couple of times. Was easy to get through and the representative was friendly and helpful.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I've been pleasantly surprised with how much I've enjoyed doing business with Merrick Bank as a credit card Customer. The website is easy to use. I can service my account efficiently. When my card number was used fraudulently, it was caught immediately. I was thankful of how quickly this issue was resolved.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I don't have any complaints about Merrick. I enjoy having them as my credit card company. I will say the app/website seems not very modern. I'm used to doing everything online and the experience there seems a little clunky compared to others like Citi or Bank of America. But it still has what I need and is easy to navigate.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I appreciate my credit limit being raised recently. While it reflected positively on my husband's credit score instantly who shares the account, it has not shown on mine. I called Merrick Bank customer service to request assistance with this discrepancy but was told they couldn't help. Discouraging when I am trying to build my credit with this account yet it's actually not helping while my credit availability to limit ratio is not accurate.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I would recommend to anyone. They are a very good company and I love my card. Easy to access my account. Really love that. Have not any trouble with them at all. Have had my card for a few months and no issues. Paying your bill on time and before really pays off.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have been trying to dispute a charge on my card. A rep at Merrick told me I need to fax a written document. I have faxed 5 times in last week and not once has it gone through. When I call Dog in disputes is rude and has no advice on how to get them to you. Maybe I will close my account and go with a company who has working machines. Very disappointed with customer service and attitude.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

The only problem I have with the bank is that you mail your payment 12 or more days earlier and they still ends up charging you for late fee. I can you be late mailing your payment in that much time earlier. Apart from that to me one of the best bank.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Merrick has allowed me to rebuild my credit. It takes a long time to repair your damaged credit and they gave me a chance. I have not let them down and they have not let me down. Thank you for the opportunity.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Your $95 'acceptance' fee for merely *receiving and using* the card, should have been in BOLD at the top of the offer letter. Instead, it was buried in the body. Had I known there was this fee upfront, I would not have accepted your offer for the card. I already HAD a credit card, given freely without fee by my Credit Union. I only now accept card offers WITHOUT this fee.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Getting my Merrick Bank Card has been of the best experiences. They have been exactly what they said they would be, with promised Limit increase and accurate reporting to the Credit Bureaus. I like them because they don't have all the crazy fees.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Charges and no rewards program. That sucks, being loyal customer and making the payments in full does not drop the Monthly/Annual Fee. Encourage more and more people to write reviews, who are in the same boat. They don't even have a rewards program so, we can use card and earn points and claim rewards. There is no purpose to spend using this card...

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

When I received my card from Merrick Bank it was a five star company and just today I received a letter stating that my account will be closed due to not using the card for the last year. This is not due to my credit history with them or others. Which my credit is perfect, no late payments of any kind. All bills are always paid in full. It also states that even if I use the card in the next 30 days the account will still be closed. They dropped my card from 1200 to 300 already. So if you want to have a card for a rainy day this is not the one...

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Website really easy to navigate and make payments. Love credit score update. Satisfied with periodic credit increases. Wish for automatic interest lowering review semi annually or quarterly. Would like to eliminate annual fee.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I applied for a business loan today. All my credit cards are paid off. I am do proud of myself. Only to get a denial for excessive late payments. Apparently there is a 2.00 monthly charge applied monthly to my Merrick credit card and my last month's score was 740, today I checked it's 657. I called to find out why didn't get a courtesy call for the 2.00 monthly charge. I would be glad to pay. Her response was an email was sent to an old email address. When I checked I felt so violated I cancelled the card. It was only 2900.00 credit limit. But to ruin my life for 6.00. And technically it was 4.00, the 3rd 2.00 was due later this month. Morally I believe this is wrong, and this report should be rescinded. I felt so helpless I just sobbed for 5 minutes. I am usually a strong woman. This incident just shook me to my core.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I have had only good experience with Merrick Bank. The website is easy to use and all actions with Merrick have been very pleasant. My card is accepted everywhere and have had no issues with the use of it. I would recommend Merrick to any of my friends.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

This bank offers a line of credit increase if with 7 months no late payments are made. Yet when you make your first payment over the phone through the automated system it apparently sets your payment up to be pulled the next month's due date therefore making your payment late. I noticed that the payment had not been pulled from my bank account after a week so I called them and questioned why the payment had not been pulled. And they said, "Your payment shows pending to be pulled out on the following months due date." I told them, "No. I had made on the due date and the phone system said payment has been processed." So I then told them to reverse that payment that shows pending and process my payment immediately.

I then further explained why would accept an offer and void my possibilities of a better offer the very first payment. The error was due to your automated phone system. It seems very fishy that this all happened on the very first month and yet I was not charged a late fee nor does it show on my credit reports as late. I strongly believe these people are falsely advertising and not honoring their agreement or offers so I suggest to all to sue this company under the Federal law because they are not doing anything by the codes. As for me I will report to the bureaus and continue with my federal investigation on this Bank. I have all my proofs with me. I will also report to Business Bar for investigation.

Merrick Bank Company Information