3.37/5
Based on 206 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1461 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY. I HAVE ALREADY NOTIFIED THEM MANY TIMES OF A FRAUDULENT CARD IN MY NAME AND THEY are doing nothing about it. They will let people keep fraudulent cards open and Merrick Bank does not care about the person this is hurting. Their representatives are extremely rude!!!! It's time to start filing a lot of consumer complaints about this company and I am starting today!!! Don't trust Merrick Bank. It will be your worst mistake. Merrick Bank is the worst company ever! Anyone who wants to file a complaint against Merrick... Go to www.Consumerfinance.Gov/complaint. And make sure you report them to the BBB.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Is decent card that does what it says. As with everything make sure you read the small print. Credit increases are given for keeping your account current. They have an easy-to-navigate website and multiple options on there.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Merrick gave me a chance to be a credit holder which allowed for so many more opportunities for me! Also they said my line would increase after paying on time for 6 months and they weren’t lying. Not only did my line increase but it doubled at the 6 month mark exactly! Thanks merrick!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

The new website sucks. What was wrong with the old one? It's spread out all over the screen - harder to read. Info spread from one page to another. What was wrong with nice compact, easy to read? Home Depot went to a format like this and I complained to them too. A lot of good THAT did! Wasted space and going "here and there" to get all info in one place. Your web producers are DEFINITELY NOT users.

Original review: July 31, 2018

This bank took a chance on me... Single mother recently divorced needing to build her own credit up. Easy application. Intuitive App for Phone. Came through on the double CLI after 6 mos good payment history. I have never had to call customer service. Completely happy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: July 30, 2018

Thanks Merrick for the fairness you have shown as I have managed my account responsibly you have increased my line of credit. I look forward to taking advantage of other services Merrick offers for years to come.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick Bank is wonderful... With my credit history being in not so good standards due to me losing my job then becoming disable Merrick Bank gave me a chance of obtaining a credit card with a credit limit that is within my budget to help me rebuild my credit. Thank you.

Original review: July 30, 2018

They are the best bank I have felt with in a long time. They gave me a visa when others had turned me away. They took a chance on me so I am proud to say for my credit card needs Merrick is my choice of banks.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I really find the app useful and helpful. It’s easy to look at statements and to pay the bill. And the card works every time. I use it for online transactions most of the time. I find the card is a good card for me. I like that it saves me time and is always updated.

Original review: July 30, 2018

This was one of the first credit cards I applied to rebuild my credit and up to now it has been fantastic, it did help a lot to build my credit rating and they doubled the credit line after 6 months. Great card???

Original review: July 30, 2018

Merrick Bank helped me quickly regain some financial stability. Through on time payments I was also quickly able to raise my credit limit which boosted my credit score. Great online website. Easy to make online payments. Recommend them for anyone looking to open a new credit card account.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I've had this card for over a year now after receiving an offer in the mail for a $700 CL. Was approved immediately and have not once had a bad experience since having it. The CSR's are always so helpful and friendly. I use this card sparingly with keep my debt ratio 30% or less and have received two increases since then. I'm currently at $2100. I must say for those of you complaining and posting bad remarks on MB, I was at a 624 Credit Score and they offered me this card. Can't complain and have no regrets whatsoever. They gave me a chance to where your other top dog exclusive Credit Card Companies do not. I'm very pleased and Thank you Merrick Bank!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have had the Merrick Visa card for over one and a half years now and never saw a credit line increase to $1400 like they promised because I was three days late on a payment and they have no grace period. There are many other companies out there that give much higher limits such as Capital One and Credit One that offer better terms. DON'T SETTLE FOR THESE LITTLE BANKS THAT MAKE BIG PROMISES!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I received a pre-APPROVED card offer in the mail. I responded online with the approval code only seconds later to be Declined. And immediately following I received a email from Experian letting me know that my score was impacted by a HARD INQUIRY from MERRICK BANK. There has been no change in my score since the date I was effectively PRE APPROVED. WHY NOT JUST SEND A PRE QUALIFIED NOTICE? I am checking into this further. It’s certainly not over.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have always paid this card on time even making large purchases being responsible paying them off within a reasonable amount of time. Never a late fee etc... This is my emergency card with a “zero” balance and also thinking I’m being responsible for not using it for every little thing and I get the letter today. It’s closed due to not being used in over a year and cannot be reopened. It had nothing to do with my credit report. I called and said the above and was told a repeat of the letter. I stated I was being responsible and wanted my card reinstated that it was my emergency card. What would I have to do reapply? I was informed online you can only apply for secured cards that unsecured was by invitation only. The July’s invitations haven’t been sent out yet. He verified my address etc... not a happy camper! No warning! Nothing and it will impact my credit score!

Original review: July 5, 2018

I opened this account, more than a year ago. Used the card one or two times. Paid off the total owed. Went to use the card again online. My card was put on hold for inactivity of more than a year. Seriously? The card has an expiration date on it. If it is inactive up to the date on the card, then that would be reasonable to deactivate. My card's expiration is in 2021, three more years. I will NEVER be a customer of Merrick Bank, ever again.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have had a card from Merrick Bank for 3 years now. Never late on payment and have received several increases. So far so good. Lately they have restricted my account for access for various reasons. The first time was that they felt that the merchant I was dealing with was a fraud. Note he is a good friend and never took advantage of anybody and has a good reputation. The last time was because I paid off my balance in full from my checking account. Yes that's right. I even put them on speaker phone so a friend could hear them and know I wasn't making this up. Merrick Bank accused me of using someone else's money. They even made me go to my checking account bank and have that bank send them a fax to assure them that I had the authority to pay my bills. Really? I have to prove I can pay my bills? My wife just died and I have some money from insurance payments. Really? Froze my account because I have to prove I can pay.

I made several payments on my balance in full and I fully believe Merrick Bank does not like this since they can't make any interest charges off me. Please note that I am disabled, I had a stroke. I'm also a diabetic and used this card for my meds and supplies. Every time I call Merrick Bank I have to go through level one before they will send me to the security dept. where I have to end up anyway. Once on hold waiting for the security dept. to pick up they will terminate the call and I have to call and start all over again. I did this six times in one night. I applied for and got approved for a Master Card, with a lower limit but I guess I have to start all over again. Merrick Bank has the worst customer service I've ever encountered and uses every flimsy excuse to hold your payment and freeze your account so they can make a lot of dollars from your "interest" charges. Lawyer time.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I received an offer and accepted it. I got my card and started to use it. Sometime in 2014 Merrick decided to close my account and also my internet ability. The last payment I made was in June 2016 and I never received another statement from them. I think the balance due at that time was less than $100.00. I recently received a letter from a collection agency that said I still owed Merrick a little over $400.00. Having received no new statements from Merrick I have made no additional payments since my June 2016 payment. Because they have not sent me any statements and because I have not made any additional payments they have probably be accumulating late fees and interest charges on the late fees. I am going to try and call customer service and write a letter to the collection agency with a copy to Merrick and see what happens.

Original review: June 6, 2018

For years I had perfect credit. Loss of job caused me to ruin my credit. Merrick approved a low limit credit card with 6 months of good repayment and raised my limit. I am very thankful for giving me the chance to restore my credit. Thanks Merrick Bank.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I’ve had the Merrick Bank Visa card for 3 weeks. Terrible experience after I made my third payment. My payment was held for no legitimate reason. Keep in mind, my previous payments cleared. I received an explanation saying that the reason behind the held payments revolved around the computer matrix, and the only way I could have my funds were to have my bank fax over a payment confirmation. Keep in mind, I never had a derogatory action against my account. The customer service representatives were ill equipped to answer my questions. So, I made my final payment and closed the account. Stay away from this bank and card. It’s terrible.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I recently applied for a card with Merrick Bank after receiving a mail offer saying I was pre approved. I was approved and waited for my card. After almost 2 1/2 months I noticed I never received it. I called. Explained the scenario and had another one shipped to me. After another almost 2 months still hadn’t received the SECOND card either. I called and cancelled the account. Then when checking my credit report I was hit with a hard inquiry on the application and then my credit went down because I opened then closed the account all within the first year. Ridiculous! My credit shouldn’t be affected by their inability to get their product to me when given TWO chance with a five month window. Especially when there are so many better companies out there, they should be striving to be better and at the very least efficient at their job.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Thank you Merrick Bank for providing me with a tool, and instructions, for rebuilding my credit after my divorce. An easy to use card with a great online tool to manage it helped me go from deep in debt to over 700 on my credit score. Starting off slow was smart, using the card and paying it off every month. Then, a few months in, after reliable performance from me, you raised my credit limit and that bumped my score. Thank you for what you do.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Very user friendly. I can get to all of my information easily. The card has helped me to increase my credit score and I would recommend this card to my friends. Merrick Bank has done well by me and I am very satisfied.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I feel that the card should have more of an option to better serve all type of consumers. Once the consumer who was once working in fixing credit or establishing credit has done so they should be able to have a product that suits their credit as it grows without having to close the card and go to another company to get that.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I purchased a tablet at Walmart.com but the box arrived empty, I even have the proof (the box) and a note from the mailman saying that the box is empty to contact their office which I did but they told me to contact Walmart.com and then follow with a claim from my credit card. Until now they have not credit back the amount of $169.99 plus taxes. Very bad customer service.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Firstly a charge of $4.00 a month really! Secondly I noticed on my statement that I am being charged finance charges from the day the charge was made. What the heck is that! Finance charges should not be incurred after the statement date hits and if there is a balance then finance charges are assessed. I have paid both cards off and I am cancelling them and writing to every media online company I can that Merrick Bank are thieves.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I want everyone to know that I am so pleased with Merrick Bank. They are an efficient company. The one aspect I want to bring out is that they are a extremely fair company. I worked to keep my account current as well as paying more than required. They recognized my efforts and increased my balance allowance. Thank you Merrick Bank!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I notice on this statement it was two charges of $119. Back in October 2017 there were a charge of $146 Miracle Healing formula. The merchant credit my account in November or December of $119 and Merrick Bank credited my account $27 and some changes under my last account. So I received another card ending in #** so I was that Merrick Bank credited my account three times when they didn’t have to. The only credit from Merrick Bank was $27 so now five months later Merrick Bank wants to tell me that they just now taking the three credits back. $238 was taken out of my balance. Please look into this. I’m very disappointed.

Original review: May 31, 2018

After filing for bankruptcy the only cards I was able to get had a annual fee which I understood but then I got an offer from Merrick Bank without an annual fee and was able to prove I am still trustworthy and deserve a second chance.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I am an ordinary consumer that has had this card now almost a year now and have had great success with this card. I've gotten an increase and as long as you pay your bill on time you will see great success with it. My credit score has improved tremendously. I believe that it is a great card to have that will help you improve your credit, to get you back on the road if used correctly.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information

1997
Draper
UT
800-253-2322
onlineoffer.merrickbank.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business