2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.17/5

Merrick is an invitation-only bank that provides clients with opportunities to build or reestablish poor credit. Its FDIC-insured products include a secured Visa credit card, personal loans and certificates of deposit. Through a variety of programs, such as goScore, goSpecial and goLearn, Merrick Bank offers monthly FICO scores, shopping discounts and financial education to its customers.

BOTTOM LINE

Merrick Bank specializes in credit repair products and services for people looking to rebuild or fix their credit. Some of its credit cards come with high fees, but its Platinum Visa card has double credit limit increases.

PROS

• Cards and loans for low credit scores
  • Financial education resources
  • goScore program

CONS

• Minimum $25,000 for CDs
  • No balance transfers

Top Merrick Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

I have enjoyed being a part of the Merrick Bank consumer group. My concerns are always taken seriously. I have used the card for travel and have had no difficulties. They continue to assist me in learning how to manage me credit score with clear suggestions and answers.

I have been with Merrick Bank for a few years now. I also have 11 other credit cards and my Merrick Bank card is one of my favorite. A little higher interest rate than the rest but I have always had good customer service and absolutely no hiccups with my monthly billing. I would definitely recommend

What is Merrick Bank?

People looking to raise their credit scores have an opportunity to by using Merrick Bank’s Platinum Visa and Secured Visa credit cards. These cards offer regular credit increases and access to Merrick Bank’s free online cardholder center and goMobile app. With goSpecial, cardholders also have access to discounts and savings at participating organizations, including Blue Nile, GNC and Lenovo.

Merrick Bank also offers recreation loans and personal loans for people with discharged bankruptcies, charge-offs, collections and judgments. Its recreation loans can be used to purchase items like a boat, RV or horse trailer, while Merrick’s personal loans can be used for purposes like debt consolidation, car repairs, funeral expenses or medical and dental bills. Customers can borrow up to $12,500 in personal loans and are eligible to receive funds as quickly as the next business day.

Those looking for investments might be interested in Merrick’s certificates of deposit. These offer an annual percentage yield up to 1.05% for CDs with six-month, 12-month, 18-month or 24-month terms. You can access all accounts 24/7, including Merrick Bank’s joint accounts.

Merrick Bank also offers free financial education on its website. Through goLearn, Merrick Bank addresses how to maintain good credit, create a budget and manage money to help individuals and families build smart financial habits.

Merrick Bank credit card costs

Opening a Platinum Visa credit card with Merrick requires a $72 minimum deposit and $72 annual fee (charged at $6 monthly after the first year). With the Platinum Visa credit card, customers receive an annual percentage rate of up to 27% and double credit increases after seven months of on-time payments.

The Secured Visa credit card requires a minimum deposit of $200 and a $36 annual fee ($3 monthly after the first year). Merrick’s secured credit card includes a yearly 17.45% percentage rate, a 2% foreign transaction fee for purchases made overseas and a 22.45% APR on cash advances with an additional $10 or 4% charge on the full amount of the withdrawal. Members can purchase additional Platinum or Secured Visa cards for $12.

Certificates of deposit require a $25,000 minimum deposit.

Merrick Bank FAQ

Does Merrick Bank have a grace period?
Yes, Merrick Bank offers a five-day grace period on its loan payments. Payments made after this grace period incur a late fee.
How long does it take Merrick Bank to post payment?
It takes up to two business days for Merrick Bank to post payment.
Does Merrick Bank do balance transfers?
Merrick Bank currently doesn’t offer balance transfers on its financial products.
Can you request a credit limit increase with Merrick Bank?
Each year, Merrick Bank reviews its customers’ accounts and provides regular credit limit increases. These are offered to customers who are in good standing and pay a portion or their full balance on-time.
What is the highest credit limit for Merrick Bank?
The highest credit limit for Merrick bank is $3,000.
Is Merrick a good credit card?
Whether a credit card is right for you depends on your needs and personal situation. While there are cards on the market that have lower fees, Merrick Bank’s credit cards provide regular credit limit increases that help you build credit over time.

Is Merrick Bank legit?

Merrick Bank is a legitimate bank that specializes in helping consumers rebuild bad or low credit. We like that it offers a free monthly credit score from two out of the three major credit bureaus, Experian and TransUnion. Compared to some other secured credit cards, however, Merrick Bank’s products have high annual fees, and the cards offer no rewards on credit card purchases. Individuals interested in a no-frills credit card to build or establish their credit get the most benefit from these products.

Merrick Bank Reviews

Original review: March 3, 2020

I love Merrick but I am billed monthly for the yearly fee. I was paying off all my cards and paid off both merrick accounts I have and put the cards away in my drawer. I have had 0 late payments in 3 years but missed the monthly annual fee of 3$ over the course of 69 or 90 days which was somewhere around 9$ and it was reported to the credit bureau. I am livid about that. I know it was my oversight but I wish merrick would pull that report back. Charge yearly so people like me that have a 0 balance but have a slip up of a 3$ charge don’t have this issue.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I got the Merrick Bank credit card offer about 4 years ago. I had never heard of them before and did some researching. It seems that offer 2 different cards, one secured and one that is not. I was going to give 5 stars but took one away after reading some other reviews. I took one star away based on they are closing accounts of long time customers based on no activity without warning them. Lowering their credit tremendously and then finally cut off. Why cut off customers that should be considered as being loyal and has been a great benefit for both the business and the customer.

My experience with Merrick bank has been a good one for the most part. I was approved for the unsecured card to help establishing credit and assist with my financial situation. I have to agree with some reviews from others that suggest problems with customer service over the phone. I try my best not to have the need to call too often. When needing to call, the experience is not all that great. However, this is a Great card for people who need to establish credit, build up their credit score and also help making purchase with monthly payments. I also like the name Merrick. It is a cool name for a credit card.

I went through this site and almost read every review from this site and some on other sites. MANY customers have problems with mailing in their payments. Something Definitely needs to be done about that!! I pay online through the Merrick Bank website. I make sure I pay by or before the due date and always check to make sure the payment went through. So far I never have been late in the 4 years and have received at least 2 credit line increases. If you are going to use this card, I would suggest also adding some other cards from Capital One, Bank of America, or any type of Secured card in addition.

In my case, I used Capital One and even use a program with Finger-hunt to get my credit going. Working at the call center for this card would be very challenging. So many people calling in claiming to have sent their payment when some of them did and some of them probably did not. When other people lie it makes it hard for everyone involved. Then you got legitimate fraud cases and some that they just made up so they don't have to pay for it. With that in mind, I can look past the customer service over the phone sometimes. So far I never had a problem with fraud on this credit card. I do not let anyone else use it and careful who I do business with also. Also wanted to note that fraud is Not when you use the card and you are not happy with the Merchant. You should contact the merchant and work out the problems.

The Interest rates are high. Very Thankful I did not get a card with annual fees! I avoid any card with annual fees! If you use the credit responsibly and make payments on time then it will pay off. Based on the reviews and my personal experience, I would avoid mailing payments!! If you do not have a checking account, then that should be a number one goal to have.

Lastly, I just hate how Merrick bank is just cutting off long time customers. These long time customers may look up to Merrick bank as someone that helped them build credit and now time to throw them away! The same could also be said the other way around. The customer is no longer using the card, especially over a year. Looks like they could come up with some way to Reward the customers who have been with them for many years by keeping their account open with some kind of warning before closing. They could still make some money. Makes no sense. Or maybe a a card that is competitive to some of the other ones available.

But Merrick should give their best customers who have made years of payments with them some notice "Hey use your card or lose it!" But no, they just send out a letter saying you have been cut off not even saying thank you for being a VALUED customer. Instead words of no matter what we will not open your account again. This is VERY WRONG!!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was anxious to rebuild my credit after going through Bankruptcy 6 years ago. I was warned about bogus credit offers and sure enough I received several offers in the mail that looked pretty questionable. Merrick was the first credit card company that seemed to look fairly legitimate so I applied and was accepted for a modest credit line. I put the card to use right away with small purchases which I paid off each month and after a year or so they increased my credit line automatically. Later I had some emergency expenses that came up so I carried a balance for awhile but paid it off after about six months. The interest rate I paid was fairly high, but I figured that's what you expect from a starter credit card. I like the online account and payment system which seems to work well. I've never had to call customer service so I can't say anything about that part of it, but overall I've been very happy with Merrick.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Following my divorce in 2012 my credit got shot through no real fault of my own. I decided to get the Merrick secured visa to start rebuilding my credit. I've now had the card for about 5-6 years and have always found customer service to be super friendly and helpful. The only real downside to this card was the limited line increases which only happened after about 2-3 years and were initially quite small. However, as my score has increased over time, these have become a bit larger and more frequent. If you're trying to rebuild your credit, and are willing to make payments on time in the future, and have the patience to do so, then I would definitely recommend this card.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

In May of 2019, I was alerted by Merrick Bank that my credit card had been used in a fraudulent transaction. When I received the call, I was actually traveling to Lowe's in Delaware to use my card for purchases I needed. The representative informed me that an immediate cancel and re-issue was needed for my card; but she allowed me to use my card for the immediate purchases I needed, as long as I agreed to call in after I made my purchases and then Merrick would cancel and re-issue. Three months later I lost the re-issued card and had to call back in to perform another cancel and re-issue. In both of those situations, I was treated courteously and respectfully, and the new cards arrived in less than a week.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Please be aware this bank is all about making money and get rich fast, and no concerns about how much it'll affect the consumers livelihoods. They have no intention of help you if you're going through a financial hardship like the covid 19. They claimed they want to help you establish your credit while they made you sign a lifetime annual fees, interest fees set for a lifetime. Here's what they did to me! I did set up auto-payment they took payment out of my account every month for 2 years. Until, I started to received call from a 1800 collecting payment for Merrick Bank. I thought I was scam. I said to the caller, "Hung up. Let me call the bank myself." Surprisingly, they deactivate my auto paid just to get me to reactivated again, so by the time they already charge me a late fee and reported me to all 3 credit bureau. Regardless, how much I fought with them they wouldn't change their mind because all they care about it's what you sign up for!

They tone are so disrespectful when ask for supervisor. It's like a pleasure because all have the exact same attitude. I requested to speak to a supervisor. She came on the phone with an attitude pick up where the last rep left of... She told me that from the beginning all the try to do is to help me establish my credit, I said to her, "Don't try to insult my intelligence. I never asked for favor when I applied for the card. If you were doing me a favor, why did you reported me late to the credit report falsely?"

I now realized the reason of why they treated the consumer they way they did... The base consumers are low credit score minority therefore they set the tone of attitude and their regulations to suppress you financially, and denigrate you. There are high in bank out there with great customer service that really care about you and have a great coalition to help build your credit. They're flexible and willing to work with your situation and great opportunity of a lifetime, especially during the covid 19. Please, do your homework because you deserve better. Thanks.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I have been a member with a Merrick Bank credit card for over 13 years. Recently I discovered through Experian that they closed my account. I called them and explained that my husband had Metastatic Melanoma and passed away and that during this traumatic time and the fog of grief I had failed to use my card. They said they would not reopen my account. I inquired as to why, was I not a good customer? I was a very good customer. Always paid on time, never any late fees and generally paid my balances in full. The end result is I am being punished for the death of my husband because I did not utilize the credit card.

Shame on Merrick Bank. I have other cards with high limits but this was my oldest account and it will affect my credit score, it will not hurt it, it will only affect it slightly. Nevertheless I would choose never to do business with a company so cold and callous as to ignore my request to reopen the account due to my husband's horrific illness and death. The last thing on my mind was making sure I used my credit cards so they would not be closed. Is this really the proper way to do business and treat your customers???

Original review: June 10, 2020

I have had the Merrick Visa credit card for several years. They reduced my credit limit because I had not been using the card. I received no warning or alerts. I just happened to be checking my credit report and my limit was dropped from $4800 to $300. They said they do this just before they close out the account. I was never late with any payments and this was my emergency credit card. They did not give me any warning. If I knew, I would have used the card if I knew they were going to close it. Not a reputable company. Would stay away from this bank!

Original review: May 3, 2020

I have several creditors and during this pandemic, all but Merrick have offered deferrals. I called their number to see if I could get a deferral or at least get a late fee removed. After several years of on time payments, I was late by a few days on a single payment. I explained that I’d been out of work for six weeks and would be able to catch up within a few weeks. The operator was short, unhelpful, and distracted by kids and a tv in the background. I paid the bill including the late charge. A few days later I got a letter reminding me how important it was to pay my bills on time and, did I know that late payments would cause me to be reported to the credit bureau. Their empathy was nonexistent.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Updated on 05/05/2020: So, as I stated below, 12 days ago I believe, Merrick Bank did reopen my account after they did review the tape to hear that their associate 4 times on the recorded line gave misleading info.. But, they told the BBB that I received misguided info.. So, I've tried for 4,22 hours today after speaking with 4 different depts., and hung up on 3 times, I have decided to pursue other legal actions against Merrick Bank, as they simply refused to do the right thing. As now my credit report has a massive negative mark on it too.

Original review: So, Merrick Bank said I need to make a $315 payment to keep the account open, I BORROWED and I paid $350 the following day, as I called to confirm they received the pay I was told the account was closed last month and was lied to. I asked a supervisor to listen to the call. She did and confirmed the rep not only lied but also violated FDCPA codes on tape, I asked what they are willing to do? The supervisor said nothing.. So I'm giving no choice to hire a law firm to file a civil suit to have them stop this type of practice... SHAME ON YOU MERRICK BANK.

Merrick Bank Company Information