3.47/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Merrick Bank Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 30, 2019

I'd never heard of Merrick Bank before I received a pre-approval offer in the mail. The promotional offer was too good to pass up, so I applied. I could not be more pleased with this card. Started out as a reasonable and generous credit limit and have been given several increases automatically with no hit to my hard inquiries. Has served to increase my credit score. Monthly FICO scores are ACTUAL FICO scores and not just bureau scores. It took me a little while to adjust to the new website design, but it is straightforward and tells you EXACTLY how much interest will be charged and how long it will take to pay off your balance if you make only the minimum payments. The minimum payment amounts are manageable if you need to use your card for emergencies.

OUTSTANDING customer service. I've never had a problem, so I've never needed to call anyone, but I receive friendly emails and letters when they need to communicate information regarding my account. Merrick Bank provides you with the resources to build a solid credit foundation and they reward responsible credit use!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Highly recommend this credit card for someone who is starting to build credit or trying to repair a bad situation. I’ve never had any issues, unlike other cards out there (credit one I’m looking at you). They are good about increasing your credit automatically for consist on time payments. And I know having a Merrick account helped me get 2 other cards later one. There are no rewards and the annual fee sucks, but so did my credit so it’s worth it in the long run. They do free FICO score check, online/app friendly, and have great customer service reps if you ever have to give them a buzz. Overall, I’m very happy with Merrick Bank and I look forward to being a happy customer for many years.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am happy to be a Merrick Bank customer and have been for over a year. When I was in college I had more than one credit card and didn't use them wisely. Now in my 30s I wanted to start rebuilding my credit. Merrick Bank constantly reviews my account, and has increased my credit limit on multiple occasions. This means that a card that started out as a small builder card is now a card I could use in nearly any emergency and know that I'm covered! It's amazing to have a company willing to build on the customer/bank relationship in such a way! Customer service is also generally polite and incredibly helpful. I would recommend Merrick Bank to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have had a Merrick Bank credit card for over two years now. It started with a $700 credit limit when I first got it and I have had regular increases in my limits to now be up to $1900. The card is great. I can check my balances and make payments online and set up regular recurring payments so that I never get charged a late fee. I originally got the card when I had not so great credit. Since then not only have I had the regular credit increases, I’ve qualified to buy a house, and continued to use my card wisely.

My only complaint is the annual fee on the card. I paid the fee and fall as part of my balance when I first got the card in my first year. Now I get charged a fee every month as a partial payments towards my annual fee. In some ways it’s nice to spread out the annual fee, but I have also found out about people who have the same card and don’t pay any fee at all. I understand that my credit was not great when I first got the card but with all of the increases in my credit limit that I’ve gotten you would think that there would have been an offer to waive my annual fee by now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Just writing to say I had a pleasant, prompt, thorough experience with customer service representative Rita today, she was able to answer and assist me with my questions & concerns... in the future I know I can feel confident if I have any other concerns of which I may be calling... thank you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Never really had an issue, the only time was my cards chip did not work, they actually sent me a new card within 48hrs. Definitely recommend them to anyone. I wish I could use it with Samsung pay, otherwise 5 stars.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

In February 2019 I had received my credit card statement from Merrick bank. Upon review I had noticed a charge that I did not make. It was a charge for $578.99 via Walmart.com. I immediately contacted Merrick bank to open a dispute for this fraudulent charge. Talking with the representative on the phone I was told not to worry about this and this will be taken off my account. I was a bit taken back by this statement but thought what the heck they know more than I do even though when i had issues like this many years before with America express they had opened a dispute and sent me documentation on that dispute with full updates, in this case Merrick bank had not sent me one piece of document confirming an ongoing dispute or investigation. During this call I was told that in the coming days my account will be updated and I should see this charge disappear from my account.

After a few days indeed the charge disappeared from my account, but no info on an investigation for a dispute was sent to me which was weird. As the months went by I got my normal billing statement and made payments. On or around my May statement I log into my account and noticed the same charge had appeared on the statement again. I called the bank again and asked why I was seeing this charge again.The rep over the phone told me that there was an investigation done and it was not closed in my favor and had no other details for me as this was a different department and I needed to call back Monday when they are open and speak with them.

The following Monday I received a letter from Merrick Bank dated May 16, 2019 stating that and I quote: "RE #: (My Credit Card Account) Dear Sergey: When we received your report of a possible billing error on the above referenced credit card account, we issued a for the disputed transaction to protect your payment record. Since that time, we have obtained a copy of the charge, which is enclosed for your records. Accordingly, we have rebelled your account for $578.99 to remove the credit we previously issued. In the event you still feel this charge was not authorized by you, please send us a signed letter indicating this charge was not authorized. Sincerely, Merrick Bank 1-877-364-3507". I followed up with a written statement informing them that this purchase was fraudulent. I did call them in advance to get their fax number and faxed this letter over to them.

Since that time I get a minimum of 4 to 6 calls a week with threatening tones telling me I need to pay the balance off, that I am a delinquent. These calls do not stop ever. These people are acting in a visions manner. When I explain that I have opened an investigation and I have sent a letter via fax and I have spoken to the dispute department about this matter and that the investigation is ongoing and while it's ongoing I will not be making any payments. They tell me that it takes 90 days for the investigation to be completed and it’s a different department and I need to make a payment regardless. It has now been 120 days since I have sent them the letter they requested to reopen the investigation. I have yet to receive any information from them about this, Furthermore I have never received any type of proof from them showing that indeed this was my purchase that was made by me.

I have made several attempts to request written proof that this charge was indeed made by me, to which I get a verbal over the phone reply that Walmart has my addressed and the address where the Item was shipped but again they do not provide that in a written form. I have a Walmart Credit Card and when I shop there I use that credit card only because of the perks I get such as points and such. They also started to charge me late fees of $83.00 a month and the new total balance they are now claiming is now over $770 dollars.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I just want to let everyone know that I have always had great customer service whenever I had to call!! I am so glad that they speak English...and oh so very pleasant.. Thank you Merrick!! I was also told they keep raising your credit limit!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

High interest rates. No late payments in 2 years. My interest over last few months was in the 40’s.. 41%, 44%, 43%???? That’s double what I pay on my other cards. I closed the account to just pay off amount owed in payments and the customer service told me that even with a closed account that I would have to STILL pay a monthly fee and an annual fee!?!? I have never heard of that before!! I feel like it’s robbery... and do not recommend them.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information