2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

3.8/5 (79 ratings)

About Merrick Bank

Merrick is an invitation-only bank that provides clients with opportunities to build or reestablish poor credit. Its FDIC-insured products include a secured Visa credit card, personal loans and certificates of deposit. Through a variety of programs, such as goScore, goSpecial and goLearn, Merrick Bank offers monthly FICO scores, shopping discounts and financial education to its customers.

Pros

• Cards and loans for low credit scores
  • Financial education resources
  • goScore program

Cons

• Minimum $25,000 for CDs
  • No balance transfers

Bottom Line

Merrick Bank specializes in credit repair products and services for people looking to rebuild or fix their credit. Some of its credit cards come with high fees, but its Platinum Visa card has double credit limit increases.

Top Merrick Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have enjoyed being a part of the Merrick Bank consumer group. My concerns are always taken seriously. I have used the card for travel and have had no difficulties. They continue...

Verified

I have been with Merrick Bank for a few years now. I also have 11 other credit cards and my Merrick Bank card is one of my favorite. A little higher interest rate than the rest bu...

What is Merrick Bank?

People looking to raise their credit scores have an opportunity to by using Merrick Bank’s Platinum Visa and Secured Visa credit cards. These cards offer regular credit increases and access to Merrick Bank’s free online cardholder center and goMobile app. With goSpecial, cardholders also have access to discounts and savings at participating organizations, including Blue Nile, GNC and Lenovo.

Merrick Bank also offers recreation loans and personal loans for people with discharged bankruptcies, charge-offs, collections and judgments. Its recreation loans can be used to purchase items like a boat, RV or horse trailer, while Merrick’s personal loans can be used for purposes like debt consolidation, car repairs, funeral expenses or medical and dental bills. Customers can borrow up to $12,500 in personal loans and are eligible to receive funds as quickly as the next business day.

Those looking for investments might be interested in Merrick’s certificates of deposit. These offer an annual percentage yield up to 1.05% for CDs with six-month, 12-month, 18-month or 24-month terms. You can access all accounts 24/7, including Merrick Bank’s joint accounts.

Merrick Bank also offers free financial education on its website. Through goLearn, Merrick Bank addresses how to maintain good credit, create a budget and manage money to help individuals and families build smart financial habits.

Merrick Bank credit card costs

Opening a Platinum Visa credit card with Merrick requires a $72 minimum deposit and $72 annual fee (charged at $6 monthly after the first year). With the Platinum Visa credit card, customers receive an annual percentage rate of up to 27% and double credit increases after seven months of on-time payments.

The Secured Visa credit card requires a minimum deposit of $200 and a $36 annual fee ($3 monthly after the first year). Merrick’s secured credit card includes a yearly 17.45% percentage rate, a 2% foreign transaction fee for purchases made overseas and a 22.45% APR on cash advances with an additional $10 or 4% charge on the full amount of the withdrawal. Members can purchase additional Platinum or Secured Visa cards for $12.

Certificates of deposit require a $25,000 minimum deposit.

Merrick Bank FAQ

Does Merrick Bank have a grace period?
Yes, Merrick Bank offers a five-day grace period on its loan payments. Payments made after this grace period incur a late fee.
How long does it take Merrick Bank to post payment?
It takes up to two business days for Merrick Bank to post payment.
Does Merrick Bank do balance transfers?
Merrick Bank currently doesn’t offer balance transfers on its financial products.
Can you request a credit limit increase with Merrick Bank?
Each year, Merrick Bank reviews its customers’ accounts and provides regular credit limit increases. These are offered to customers who are in good standing and pay a portion or their full balance on-time.
What is the highest credit limit for Merrick Bank?
The highest credit limit for Merrick bank is $3,000.
Is Merrick a good credit card?
Whether a credit card is right for you depends on your needs and personal situation. While there are cards on the market that have lower fees, Merrick Bank’s credit cards provide regular credit limit increases that help you build credit over time.

Is Merrick Bank legit?

Merrick Bank is a legitimate bank that specializes in helping consumers rebuild bad or low credit. We like that it offers a free monthly credit score from two out of the three major credit bureaus, Experian and TransUnion. Compared to some other secured credit cards, however, Merrick Bank’s products have high annual fees, and the cards offer no rewards on credit card purchases. Individuals interested in a no-frills credit card to build or establish their credit get the most benefit from these products.

Merrick Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I started out with Merrick Bank several years ago and they really helped me establish my credit. They have given me increases when I deserved them and when I have ever had a question or any information their customer service representatives have always been helpful and knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend Merrick bank to anyone looking to start their credit journey or just need a good reliable credit card.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2021

I do not like the face that you will only take off late fees once a yr. If a person calls before their due date the late fee should be waived. I has some ill family members with covid & I managed to keep working as much as I could to pay my bills & also take care of them. So my paycheck were a little short & I just needed to put it off a few days & they said no because I had already ask for them to waive 1 this yr, due to the same circumstances. Almost always paid on time.

Original review: May 16, 2021

No “order #” or request for assistance. I did receive a limit increase (unrequested). Only other business conducted has been my usual monthly payment activity. All this said, I certainly appreciated the unexpected limit increase and I always have a painless monthly payment experience. * I REALLY appreciate a very realistic and reasonable cutoff time. Some cards have a cutoff time which is actually early in the day of the date due, especially when time zones are taken into account. Seems somewhat unfair for your payment to be required made by 4pm of the date due, when it should realistically be midnight. Oh well, not Merrick. Live and learn AND read the fine print. Thank you!!

Original review: March 25, 2021

I just wanted to say with you guys you're one of my credit cards that I've had the most advancement in the most payment increases with. I'm grateful to be affiliated with your bank and hope that we continue to do business together for a long time. I thank you guys for a continuing to be a great Bank even throughout this pandemic and I just wanted to say thank you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Having Merrick Bank Visa card is been very great. In the past I had Credit card with other Bank, but they had to closed it because I was in a situation I couldn’t pay on time my bill. But when I got Merrick Application to build my scores by using their credit, I took this opportunity to use this Credit wisely and always pay on time. Ever since then, I started using it and my scores are good so far. I can recommend anyone to trust Merrick Bank.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I started my account with $600 limit with an annual fee and paid on time for 6 months and it was automatically doubled to $1200 as promised in agreement and now after another year has gradually been raised to $1900. I have not had any adverse responses from the company nor problems tracking my transactions or payments on the website account.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I applied for a cc. Was approved, however I quickly decided that this was not something that I needed- I did not want to keep this account and I wrote them to close it within a week of approval. I hadn't even received the card yet in the mail, it was never activated. Within a few weeks I was being hassled about my "payment being overdue." When I made contact via BBB for mediation, they responded telling me that I owe the "annual fee" regardless of whether or not I kept the account or even used the card. So to just get approval, I was immediately locking myself in for their "yearly fee", even after immediately closing the unused account. After my bbb report, they suddenly claimed that they had sent me a confirmation of account closure immediately after receiving the request- this was a lie as I NEVER received any confirmation letter.

After they got another bbb complaint, they quickly sent a bunch of "copies" of the statement of funds owed and a confirmation letter that they clearly typed up and put a date on that correlated with their story. But a letter that I had never actually received after requesting the account closure. They remain repugnant and insist the annual fee and now late fee are mandatorily owed. In addition to the $75 annual fee, they tacked on $45 for "overdue/late" status and some other nonsensical fees, which now put me at over $120 in debt. For nothing. Because I stupidly applied for the cc. Go ELSEWHERE unless you're sure you want to be indebted to these crooks forever.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I like to pay my credit card account on the phone rather than on computer or cell phone. A few occasions I have spoken live to your staff and everyone has been knowledgeable and polite and were able to help me solve my problem.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I like my Merrick card because your reward program is so simple and I never had to wait, or accumulate points, blah, blah, blah. I get the credit, how ever much it is immediately. The other cards kill you with complicated programs. Nuts to that!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I received an email stating that I could win a Shark or Dyson Vacuum. So I tried and they told me that I won and the amount they could charge was $2.00. Well, they charged $49.95 AND I Haven’t heard from them since. I appreciate all the help that You gave me.

Alice **