1.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

686 Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I received a Jetblue credit card that I did not request and when I called the number to have it deactivated I was told I had to give them my social security number which I refused. I asked them how they acquired my social security without a request and was disconnected. This is a form of identity theft since I never gave them my number.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I've had the Barclays credit card for three or four years. Never missed a payment, never late & always paid more than the minimum. Yet they reduce my available credit twice. Why? They give me an excuse that my balance is too high. I have not used their card in over a year, yet always made monthly payments. They gave me a credit line of over $4,000, it's now $2,200. I now owe them about $i,800, never owed more than about 2,500. Can't wait to pay them off.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Been with Barclays for 5 years, only used the card for a year as they would not lower the APR. I only keep the card cause it’s free and the length of time for the credit is good to have. Their customer service sucks and the interest rate is double my other cards. Barclays doesn’t compare to most other cards or competitors.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I made a payment on October 31 of over $10,000.00 (we were paying for our wedding). This company cashed the check on November 14th and still has not applied the funds to my account. My credit took a hit because I am not willing to send them more money. I own a home and just recently got married, and HAD perfect credit. This company is bad bad bad and the people running it should be in jail. I am so mad I ever opened an account with this company. Be smarter than the rest of us here and get a credit card from somewhere else. ZERO STARS.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

0 is what they deserve from me. They have been a nightmare. They are a ripoff. They accrued some type of interest which they will not remove even though it was their fault for making a mistake with my payments which are always on time and I always pay more than the minimum. They will lie to you and tell you that they will take care of it and in the end they will waste your time. I also tried using the card for a small payment and they have been giving me a hassle for about a week. They have given me so much trouble that I had to order a new card in the mail which I already received for them to put a block on the card for no reason. I called them to find out what is going on and they just tell me the same thing, that it should be working fine. They are ridiculous. A big 0 for them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Don't bother signing up to get your "50,000 American Airlines" points because it’s a big fat lie and a rip-off. They find every loophole they can to avoid giving you your points. I never got mine, even though I paid my fee and bill in the first 90 days like they required.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We made a claim on an item we ordered and was stolen at the mail box. We jumped through hoops with endless documentation’s and then denied. Our other credit cards would of been easy to work with and would of covered this loss. Their “perks” are all for show. Disappointing. If you have not open an account with them... don’t bother!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

A “school” helped us get business start up $ with 3 banks. Credit card company “A,” “B” for Barclay, and “C” each extended credit. When the school was sued and closed by the FTC for fraud, we filed a dispute. Credit companies “A” and “C” (their company names start w/ those letters) credited our accounts within 30 days. BARCLAY HAS STALLED, dodged, & repeated same dead end script for 8 months. I concur with others: STAY AWAY from Barclays!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I received an email from Barclaycard that If I enroll in the automatic credit card payment then I will receive $10. After enrolling, I received three statements and three automatic payments have conducted and it has been more than two months still I did not receive the promotion offer. I called the customer service two times and they always say blah blah ball but could not give me an exact answer why did not I receive the promotion. I think they just expect customer will eventually forget or ignore because of the small amount, however, they will make the profit.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I Was purchasing tickets to travel with my family and got the promo ad offering to apply for the CC and get a better rate and two round tickets. Long story short was not approved when my credit is above 750 and requested to mail my Social Security Card, Driver licence and passport or third form of ID... WTF??? Signing my life away if my documents get on the wrong hands!!! Call them and asked if I could provide the information in a different way and there was none. FYI I have an account with them currently.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Had a dispute with a merchant. Reported to Barclay Aviator Red Card. Provided them with 2 people to collaborate my statements. After 2 months, they never contacted my provided contacts. Then, stated they could not do anything because I provided my credit card. Dispute department and process was worthless.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had a Barclays card for 4 years with a perfect payment history. In August 2018 they sold my account to Mercury Card. When I called Mercury Card they told me I was 30 days late. So I made a payment. They made an error, I made another Payment. They said they were going to fix the error. Today I found out they charged my account off at 60 days. There's nothing I can do. I just want to warn other people of Barclays. They seem great until they sell your account out... They Ruined my credit and it was perfect. Awful experience. Beware. NIGHTMARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have had a few problems with Barclays over the years, but here is the latest. I submitted an online payment on 9/2/18. In the past, they have always taken the payment out of my checking the same day or the next day. I assumed that September was no different and that by the middle of the month, they had already received the payment. However, they decided to wait until the money was no longer in the account at the middle of the month before trying to take it out. This caused me a bank fee.

They then tried again, causing another bank fee and also a fee from Barclays. When I received the credit card bill for the next month, it only included October. I made the payment again on time and it was taken out the next day. Now after the October payment, they tell me that I still need to make the September payment. Why wasn't that included in the October bill? I called to talk to support and all they did was call me a liar. They have now removed my access to check my account or make payments online. This has been nothing but a headache. When I pay the card off, I'll be done with them forever and will be telling others to stay away.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

The Estate's probate attorney sent notice to Citibank regarding her death and stating that, per the law, they would need to file a Creditor's claim against the Estate in the timeframe permitted by law. Barclays FAILED to file the claim or respond to the legal notice filed in the local paper in the timeframe required by law. Barclays, due to their failure to respond to the notice and legal notice, no longer has any right to request payment. While they are VERY aware of this, they send the family member's threatening notes.

Not only this, they have sent this "collection" to a company that takes pride in running the family of dead individuals for money Barclays no longer has a legal right to claim... EVEN after the probate attorney re-sent all the documentation to Barclays and the dead account holder predator! Every time I, as the PR of the Estate, receive one of their mailing, which is two or more times a month, I am reminded that the sister who I loved dearly is dead... MAKE THEM STOP!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I consolidated my cards with my credit union and Barclays cashed the check on Oct 2nd. The money was never credited to my account. I called on Oct 5th. They said they would investigate it. I got a letter on the 12 that said I needed to go to my bank and get a copy of the front and back of the canceled check and fax it to them and I need to make my payment to avoid late fees on an account that is already supposed to be closed. I did both. On Oct 29th I called Nate they said they are investigating it still and I need to make my payment on Nov 2nd or I will get late fees again. This account should have been paid off and closed on Oct. 2nd when they cashed the check. They said I should call back on Nov. 8th to check on it. This is the worst company ever. If they can't keep up with my money they won't be able to keep up with yours either. I'm at the point of just using them now. Take your business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I've had a Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard for years. My complaints about this company don't relate specifically to problems I've encountered with my credit card account, but relate more to what a joke this card issuer is. They consider themselves a big player, but when you compare their operations to other national card issuers, Barclaycard is in the stone age. Their "account alerts" (i.e. Security) is a total joke. I signed up to be notified every time there's a transaction over $50. One would think in this day and age that would be instant, but not with Barclaycard... Their idea of notifying you means you get alerted 2-3 days after the transaction has occurred. Now think about that... 2-3 days... If I lost my card and didn't catch the fact I had, I wouldn't know someone was using it for 2-3 days after the fact. What a pathetic shameful joke of a service to offer their customers... Obviously they hire only the best technology people!

As to customer service that's a joke as well. On the phone they are hard to understand and obviously not US based. In writing they are slow to respond. When I wanted to change from a Mastercard card to a VISA card they said no, but they've increased my credit line substantially over the years. They are a good credit reference but nothing more. They should stop pretending to be a major player amongst major players, because they aren't.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Bad idea Barclays for switching one of my cards over to Mercury. Mercury is horrible. They don’t care about their customers. I spent two hours on the phone today getting transferred around being left on hold for such a long time that a recording came on that said my allotted time on hold was up so I need to hang up and please try again and then Mercury hung up on me. They kept transferring me to different people. I wound up with six different people and no one would help me. Bottom line is I made my payment on time with Mercury the first payment I had since it switched from Barclays. I received a confirmation of my payment. A few days later I get a notification from my credit report stating that there was a derogatory mark from Mercury which stated that I did not make my payment on time which I did and have a confirmation number.

Finally getting someone they said it looked like I may have put my bank information in wrong which I did however I told them it was their responsibility to inform me and notify me since I have notifications on my credit card account to inform me something went wrong especially since this was the first payment I made since Barclays switched to Mercury. They said they were so inundated with phone calls because of the changeover that they didn’t have a chance to contact me. And then three other different agents tell me something different than three other agents already told me that they apologize for not getting in touch with me about this matter before my payment became late. So they waited for it to be late and then reported me to the credit bureau without even giving me a chance.

It was my fault that I put in one wrong bank number. I missed it by one number but it was Mercury’s responsibility to inform me. They showed I did make my payment and gave me a confirmation so how would I know something was wrong? All they did give me a derogatory mark on my credit which I don’t have and I’ve never made any payments late ever. Their customer service is horrible everything about this credit card is horrible!! Especially their customer service who just kept passing me around to different people and leaving me on hold without coming back. That is not acceptable at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Have repeatedly had to reset mobile app password because they have some internal issue. In fact their service people acknowledge that many people complain about the poor mobile app design and use. Yet they have done nothing to correct their problems or improve the app. They are the worst bank to deal with and I would never open any account with them. JetBlue made a serious mistake changing to this bank and it has been a problem from the very beginning. If you need a credit card do not get a Barclays card no matter what they offering.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I open a credit card at American Airlines offer and they charge me a 95 dollar fee and I never got the credit card and they refuse to give me the money back. They charge me 95 annual fee and I never use it. I close the card. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I reserved a room online. I was told if I open a Barclay Credit Card I would save $25. I did so. To my surprise I COULD NOT use the card because it had not been mailed to me... 14 days to mail. Since I could not use the card I attempted 4x over 2 days to cancel the card. I was on phone an average of 40 minutes each time and was told to call back as the department I needed was not available. Stall tactics? Anyway when I actually got someone to deal with situation they asked for the account number. DUH. I have not received a card. Anyway after some brow beating I was able to close the account. NEVER will do business with this bank. Customer service terrible and the stall tactics unacceptable. Be wary before you utilize their services. I gave a 1 star but really wanted ZERO.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I was with Barclays Mastercard for 3 years. Now they sold us out to some sideshow company called Mercury Mastercard. Every time I paid my Barclay bill, my credit was always available the very next morning... Well I look to charge on my card. No credit available... 3.00 available... just paid 700.00 the early am on Wed Sept 26th. I called 4 times. Finally someone answered. I said I wanted a supervisor or manager to talk to... they said no one available that they would call me back. That didn't happen... called again they said you have a 3 to 5 day waiting period before your credit shows up available **!! It didn't take them but a couple hours to take it out of my bank account!! If this continues I will cancel this card whether it means my credit score is affected doesn't matter. I never missed a payment for 3 years not one... I'm just totally disgusted and a very unhappy Mercury customer???

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I've been with Barclays for 5 years, never missed a payment, never been late. They sold my 2 cards to Mercury. Their customer service line is overloaded and unable to take calls or the wait is over 30 minutes... that's as long as I've waited with no help. If you call the Mercury lost card/fraud number they pick up immediately. They cannot help with your account at that number. I was unable to establish both cards when setting up the online account. It required me to use another email account to set up the second card.

The account online did not show the payment I established to be paid on the due date. There was no confirmation of the payment being established by email or in any place on the website. You must make a recurring payment for your payment to be viewable. You cannot cancel a nonrecurring payment because there is no option on the website. The website is a joke that looks like it was built in 1989 using DOS. Very little functionality. Mercury Cards is a horrible institution and I will end my relationship with them as soon as possible.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Had a dispute where I was charged by a merchant for a service I did not receive. The merchant agreed it was an error also. 6 months later and I am still trying to Get American Airlines Barclay to correct it. They are horrible with disputes.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I have had an account with Barclays for 3 years now with a $3750.00 credit limit. I got close to limit, and stopped using for a few months, and only made minimum payments. I finally after 6 months got a bonus, and paid $2500.00 on account. After payment cleared, Barclays decreased my credit limit to $1200.00. I called them about it, and they basically told me to go fly a kite. I told customer service rep how I did not appreciate how I had been done, and he said there’s nothing they can do. I will pay them off, and never use again. They are a TERRIBLE company.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

It all starts with a merchant I ordered from who did not send ALL of the order. So naturally I filed a dispute when the merchant ignored my requests for the rest. Barclays basically just added a note to my account and it went on my credit report (just the dispute note, which can harm you if you’re trying to buy a house)! They also said I still have to pay the disputed amount and if they rule in my favor then I will get credit (Luckily the merchant made good so I paid it). LOL. Go ** yourself! Secondly, to get a limit increase, which I’ve had this card for a couple years now with a 1500 limit, they put a mark on my credit again by checking. None of my other cards do that and I have a lot. They still turned me down for an increase.

Thirdly, which doesn’t have anything to do with me, but still, My friend’s husband had an account opened in his name by his ex wife unknowingly and she maxed it out. Barclays is still making him pay for it! He obviously won the case against her in court and she has to pay it but c’mon, do you think she will? He’s still responsible and still has to pay it off. So with all of that, and maybe it's petty to you, but there are other cards out there that are on the customer’s side. Discover, the best at customer service, Chase, Citi, Capital One, they’re all 10 stars better than this hunk of crap Barclays and as soon as I buy my house in the next few months, I am cutting them off. I have stopped using it completely.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

12 members of my family recently sailed on the Carnival Valor (2-6 August 2018). On 2 August, there was a table set up for people to complete a Carnival credit card application and get lanyards and bags for free. I (and many others in my party of 12) began to complete the application and I told the representative that we didn't want the card and asked if we could get a lanyard. I offered to give her $5 for a bag and a lanyard. She said, in order to get a free gift, you had to do the application but she said, "If you do not want it to be processed, then you do not use the correct information and it cannot process." I said, "You mean use random numbers for the SSN and DOB?" And she said "Yes, just numbers and then sign".

She said, "It cannot process, but you get lanyard and bag." She said when they are processed and the name doesn't match the numbers like the SSN and DOB, then the application will not process and will be destroyed. I asked her if she was sure and again, she said yes. Several of the 12 people in my party and others standing around did as she suggested and she gave us the lanyards, Carnival bags, water bottles and we left. There were several other people standing around and she continued to suggest the same thing while my group was completing the application. It was never my intent to do anything fraudulent or to cause harm to anyone else. When she told me the application would not process but we could get the bag and lanyard, it seemed harmless and it made sense that it would not process if the name doesn't match the numbers.

On 7 August, My husband (Willie **) and I BOTH received a Carnival Credit Card issued by Barclays in the mail. On 10 August, I called the tollfree number on the card and inquired on how I could have been approved for a the Carnival credit card. I explained what happened and the rep asked for the last four of my SSN and my DOB. To my surprise, the correct SSN, DOB and address are on file for the card that was sent to me but the incorrect SSN was on file for my husband. Additionally, there are excessive charges on the card that I did not make.

In fact, I didn't make ANY of the charges. The card has not been activated. Additionally, the charges are also on the credit card that I had on file for my sale and sign. I don't know how my personal information was obtained for this card, but however it was obtained, it was fraudulently done. I have cancelled the card and reported it as FRAUD. I have contacted the rest of the people in my party and told them to contact the Barclays Card Fraud and Security department. My husband and I have both requested a copy of the applications used to process these cards. I can assure you that I put random numbers and did not put my correct Social Security Number on that application. I am also reporting this as fraud with the credit bureau(s).

Update: I have been in touch with Carnival representatives who have been in touch with Barclays. They told me: #1. The rep that was on the ship, denied telling people to put incorrect information. #2. Although my husband's SSN was incorrect by each number being off by two numbers, SOMEONE at Barclays still approved and issued him a credit card. How did they know his credit score rated him getting a CREDIT card? He too has a credit card through Barclays. Did someone use the info that is on file for the card that he already has with Barclays? Barclays executive Devin stated that sometimes they use public records to complete the applications. That certainly doesn't seem right.

#3. I did not put the correct information (SSN, DOB or address) on that application on the Carnival Cruise. I do however have another card issued by Barclays. Did someone look my information up based on a portion of the correct information that was on the application and match it to what's already on file? #4. Barclays has stated that the applications were destroyed even though they told me that they would send me a copy in 7 to 10 days. When I called back, they told me they did not have copies because they destroy them after they put the information in the system. So in other words, anyone with anyone else personal information can fraudulently apply for a Barclays credit card in someone else's name and Barclays will not only approve it, but will also put charges on it before it is activated. This seems like a recipe for an identity fraud case.

#5. I received a letter from Barclays stating that a thorough investigation had concluded that all charges were valid and the investigation is closed. SOMEONE at Barclays did something fraudulent for my husband and I to obtain credit cards. My children also completed applications but did not get credit cards. Why? Because their credit is not established...but my husband and I put incorrect information and had cards mailed to us and coincidentally, we have other cards with Barclays.

#6. Why would the applications be destroyed? Anyone could have filled out this application using someone else's name and information. There were no forms of IDs requested or anything. I don't know how to prove that I did not write my correct information, but I did not. #7. Carnival was told that everyone that was approved or disapproved got a letter on the cruise. Neither I or my husband received anything. I have talked to my other family members and none of them received any type of notification while on the cruise. Had we received anything while we were on the cruise, we would have addressed it while on the cruise. DO NOT SAIL ON CARNIVAL AND DO NOT USE BARCLAYS CREDIT CARDS.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Barclays Letter feels like a SCAM. I applied for the JetBlue Credit Card. My FICO score is 839, so who would think a problem would occur? They sent me a letter asking for copies of my driver's license, bank statements and SS card. Who does this? They can keep their card.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

First off, I want to start by saying I don't have a lot of credit cards but being a new business owner has put me in a money crunch. I've dealt with all the other companies in putting me on a payment plan in which to help me, a tax paying American. However, when I had a late payment last month, Barclays advised I needed to make my payment in order for them to offer me a payment plan. Ok, done. Then when I called back to make a payment plan they tell me my account needs to be in past due status in order for them to put me on a plan. The complete opposite of what I was told!!!

The manager advised that "technically they can't put me on a plan". Well "technically" I should have been given the correct information and he, JOSEPH the manager should have assisted as I KNOW he could in putting me on a payment plan. STAY AWAY from this company, they have high interests and nothing useful comes out of their stupid rewards points. It only helps IF you go on a cruise and it doesn't even cover much. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Reported a double charge from a travel company to Barclay. Started an investigation in May. Sent in all the required documents they requested. As of now, 3 months later, all I get is lip service. Tells me the charge is still under investigation... When asked when the investigation will be over or any such time frame, nobody can answer that. Have spoken to managers, and now they tell me if I want to go further I will have to write a letter to the office of the President... THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! As soon as this is over, I will be cancelling my card.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have been a credit card client with Barclays for almost 12 years. Today I received a letter from an obscure credit card issuer stating that Barclays had sold my account to them and as of September 2018 my Juniper Card would convert to a Mercury Mastercard. Barclays did not notify any clients and doesn't provide any information through customer service other than to state that, "your account has been sold". To be clear, my account is in good standing and has been for the entire time it's been open. It currently has a 0 balance. Essentially what Barclays has done is force many of its clients into a business relationship not of their choosing. Your only options are to continue with a company that you know nothing about or close your account, which would be detrimental to your credit score. This entire action shows what a lack of regard Barclays has for its clients. It will be a very long time before I ever consider doing business with Barclays again.

Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Company Information