Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.5/5 (276 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Top Barclays Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juni...

I was recently married and while changing my last name, Barclays was the easiest, fastest card to do so with no hassle. I also appreciate they give me a monthly FICO score as I ha...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

What is Barclays Bank?

Barclays Bank is a British multinational investment bank and financial services company that specializes in retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, credit cards and wealth management. Barclays’ online banking services allow account holders to manage payments, check statements and transfer funds between accounts, and the mobile app lets customers check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.

Barclays rates and account options

Barclays Bank’s financial products include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards.

Barclays’ online savings accounts
Barclays’ savings accounts offer competitive rates with an annual percentage yield (APY) that starts around 0.40%. Through the Barclays savings account app, account holders get 24/7 online access to funds plus the ability to view statements and deposit and transfer money.
Barclays’ online CDs
You can select online certificates of deposit (CD) with terms that range from three to 60 months. Current Barclays 12-month CD rates start around 0.25% APY. You can open a series of CDs with varying maturity dates, which provides faster access to funds or limits monetary penalties should you choose to close the account.
Barclays’ credit cards
Barclays offers several credit card products, including cards in partnership with JetBlue and Wyndham. Barclays Bank’s credit cards feature a variety of benefits, including rewards points for travel and retail, entertainment perks and cashback programs. Barclaycard is a multinational credit card with extra benefits like purchase assurance and price protection.

Many of Barclays’ credit cards have an annual fee ranging from $0 to $499 depending on the card you choose. The company determines your interest rates based on your creditworthiness. Cardholders can pay bills, check balances and track transactions through the Barclaycard app, which is available through the Apple App Store or Google Play.

Barclays Bank FAQ

Does Barclays have checking accounts?
No, Barclays does not currently offer checking accounts. Barclays offers savings accounts, credit cards and certificates of deposit (CDs). However, the bank has plans to add a digital-only checking account feature in the future.
What is Barclaycard?
Barclaycard is a credit card issued by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Additional Barclaycard benefits include deferred financing, ID theft protection, fraud liability protection and the ability to check FICO credit score reports for free.
Is it hard to get approved for a Barclaycard?
The Barclaycard requires good to excellent credit. Applicants with a credit score above 700 will most likely be approved, and those with a score below 650 may qualify depending on their current income, existing debt and additional credit history.
Is Barclays Bank FDIC-insured?
Yes. Barclays Bank is a member of the FDIC, so all deposit accounts are insured up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
How much can I withdraw from my Barclays savings account?
The maximum amount you can withdraw from a Barclays savings account is $250,000 per transaction.
Where is Barclays Bank located?
Barclays Bank is headquartered in London, England, and has locations across Europe, Asia, Africa and the U.S. Barclays Bank currently has 11 branches in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, California, Washington, New York and Texas.

Is Barclays legit?

Barclays has low fees and good rates, making it a solid option for investors. With a 0.40% APY, it’s particularly ideal for customers looking for an online savings account. It also requires no minimum balances, so it’s great for small investors. Barclays also offers a decent rate for a year-long CD at 0.25%.

However, with few branches or ATMs currently in the U.S., it might not be a great choice for traditional transactional banking or money that moves around often. Although Barclays advertises 24/7 customer service, users can only speak with a live representative from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. Overall, Barclays is enticing for U.S. customers who are interested exclusively in savings and investments, but those looking for other services should look elsewhere.

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: April 27, 2021

I am an inveterate global traveler and a no-foreign-transaction-fee credit card provides great advantage. Barclays Uber card is additionally no-fee and gives cash back I can use for Uber trips, which comes in handy now that I am in Ecuador. I had a Capital One card before which has similar features except that I had an issue with a merchant which to-date remains unresolved.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Overall rates are comparable. Linked to American Airlines with good communication between both. There has been good communication when I have called with questions or requests. Good communication between the two. Have had very good communication between the bank and myself with things.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I have had a Credit Card with Barclays for 5 years. I have not used the card in 4.5 years. I no longer have the Barclay credit card. I wanted to pay off my account. I called, the person that answered (Representative) could not speak English and it was horrible. I wanted the credit card number so I could set up an on line account and review it before I paid it off. I was transferred to another department. I was left on hold for 61 minutes. I hung up and called back. Person (Representative) said I had to order a new card then I could cancel my account! I knew my last four numbers of the card from the statement. No use. All they wanted to do was send me a new card, he said they can not see my card number and I would have to order a new card, no if and buts about it. Just the worst experience ever!!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Everyday in America I’m sure it’s fine but the moment you travel it becomes a disaster. Spend hours calling customer service raking up a huge bill and getting no help. Use Chase or Amex and save yourself a headache.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I have had a Barclays Bank Mastercard for several years. What a litany of problems! First they lost my regular payment, and I paid overdue charges. Eventually they found my payments and refunded some of the charges by check, but then they put a stop payment on the check without informing me so I paid a bank penalty when I deposited it.

The latest problem was when the card number was hacked and obvious daily fraud perpetrated--but totally missed by their fraud scanning (Chase Visa would have found this in a flash). Then I cancelled the card with their Customer Service, except she forgot to tell the account so I continued to be dunned for the $17,000 in bogus charges, and no record of cancelling the account could be found. Eventually I got to the fraud dept again, after being given the wrong number by Barclaycard, only to find the computers were done, so call back some time in the future. In my long life I have had many credit cards, but nothing even close to being as terrible as Barclaycard.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Customer service is terrible. I had to call about fraudulent charges on my account that they had already told me were resolved and spent 37 minutes on the phone, mostly on hold, only to be told that I had to be transferred. I contacted the office of the president and finally got it resolved with the help of Jonathon **. A couple weeks later I had a charge for an order that I cancelled because the shipping date was delayed and my refund was shorted. I wasn't allowed to dispute the charge online and had to call customer service AGAIN. After 22 minutes on the phone with Casper, I was told that I had to be transferred. I was put back into a menu only to have it end with "this mailbox is unavailable right now, please call back". I again contacted the office of the president and NEVER heard back from them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Barclays sent convenience checks to me without them being requested (I had never even heard of a convenience check before this issue). They did not make it into my mailbox and I ended up with someone writing a check to cash for $900. I called Barclays to report it as fraud. I called back a week later to check on the status and they said the case had been cancelled - I was not notified. I filed another fraud claim with customer service and once again called back weeks later to find that they had marked the charge as "valid" without notifying me of any of the details of the investigation. I finally got a hold of the fraud department and they reversed the charge and said they would open a case. I was sent a photocopy of the convenience check that was clearly not my writing or signature and had some weird writing on the back that didn't look like English.

I called back 3 weeks later when I got a notification that my account was past due and late fees were accruing. The rep had no idea what she was doing and told me the case was closed and it was valid. I asked to speak with a manager and she said no... Once this is resolved I will close my account. Not a single representative has been helpful or pleasant. One even told me "you need to calm down" in a very abrasive tone when I said "I just want to get this resolved because it's affecting my credit". Barclays is the WORST bank I've ever dealt with!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

A few years ago while booking a cruise I applied for and get the Carnival Fun Points Mastercard issued by Barclays with an initial credit limit of $5000.00. I use this card almost exclusively for cruises. I have always paid the card off within the promotional period for each cruise. In August I booked a cruise starting September 26th. I've already paid 1/2 of the cruise and only have a $900 balance. I have not missed or been late on ANY credit card for 30+ years. My oldest credit card is AMEX issued in 1993. I have multiple bank cards with high limits (24K, 12K, 15K, 10K), some of these do not have balances. Yes I do have cards with balances and I recently refinance my home to cutoff 9 years of payments.

Tomorrow is the date the on-line check-in opens and I was planning on using the Carnival card for the entire trip. I received an alter from Credit Karma that my credit limit was lowered to $1100 or by 78% leaving me with only $200 to use for the upcoming cruise. I spoke to 3 different customer service "managers" who refused to re-instate the original credit limit. This is a horrible way to treat a customer that has the means and proven track record of 30+ years that has NEVER had an issue with paying any credit card, car payment or mortgage.

I have other cards to use for the trip, but I won't get the 4X points they promised when I made the reservation. I have one other card issued by Barclays - I can't wait to see how long it takes for them to lower that credit limit. One final thought: AMEX Blue just increase my limit by $3000 last month, BOA approved me for their new rewards card, initial credit limit was $11,500. Barclays should be put out of business. They are horrible.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

This is the 2nd card I received and I am unable to activate it or reach anyone via phone. Plus I paid $15 for express mail but took 2 weeks to receive it via regular mail. Marcelle **. Ps I have been unable to get a response or anything resolved. Lock Marcelle **. Account ending in: **.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

In a world in which all big corporations deliver more or less the same mediocre, impersonal level of outsourced customer service, Barclays wins the award for ... WORST customer service EVER. I opened an account so that I could earn Wyndham Rewards points for purchases and used my credit card whenever I traveled for several years, until suddenly, I found out, on my own (without warning or notification from the company) that my account had been closed due to "inactivity."

I was never particularly fond of Barclays or its customer support, so it was easy to live without them. However, after COVID has subsided, and I began to travel again, I decided to re-apply for a new card in order to earn points. Boy, was THAT a mistake. I didn't think a company could sink from a two- to one-star rating in less than a year, but Barclays has once again exceeded my expectations.

In what should have been a relatively straightforward process, my application has been subjected to a familiar series of delays, oversights, and missteps that I have come to expect from Barclays. There was no communication whatsoever by email, phone, or U.S. mail as to the status of my application, and as my departure date drew near, I finally ended up calling customer service and spending the next two hours being shuttled back and forth between customer service and the fraud department (for some reason) before a series of hapless associates managed to put the broken pieces back together again.

After I had received and registered my card, I discovered, to my utter delight, that several websites denied my new card as a form of payment and in one case, cancelled an order I had placed after the fact. Nevertheless, I have managed to make about a half dozen purchases with it, but upon logging in for the first time to view my activity, I was greeted with a friendly WARNING banner and a request for me to call customer service to resolve a "discrepancy." NOTE: I started writing this lengthy review over 20 minutes ago, while on hold for the second time today, waiting to speak with a Barclays "relationship manager," but all I have received so far is a dangerous dose of bad elevator music and frequent interruptions from a helpful computer voice, assuring me to PLEASE HOLD.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

My automobile service company accidentally charged my Barclay Credit Card for its yearly membership fee; normally they send me an invoice. About a month later Barclay sent me a bill. I was surprised because my Barclay account was supposed to be closed and not usable. I didn't expect Barclay to send me a bill. Nevertheless, Barclay received the charged and I immediately disputed it because the account was closed. I paid my automobile service company with bank funds, and asked them to remove the charge from Barclay...They removed the charge from Barclay. Barclay, however, did not remove the charge. I called them multiple times and had them speak with my automobile service company that the charge was already paid.

Barclay refused to remove the charge. Barclay then damaged my credit score because they didn't receive payment within 60 days. I ended up paying Barclay the charge, so my credit score would not be damaged further. Barclay gladly accepted payment. In Essence, I paid twice for my automobile membership. One to my automobile club, and the other payment to Barclay for absolutely nothing! I'm upset about the situation, but there is little I can do against a giant financial institution like Barclay; except write this review. It's just like stealing. Barclay stole that transaction! My only hope is someone else will be warned, and not have to live through this very frustrating experience!

Original review: July 28, 2021

I unluckily agreed to their marketing material for Easy Pay Enrolled Transactions. I found out after I signed up, there isn't an Easy Way to pay off those transactions early. There are only 2 options: 1. Cancel the card; 2. Stop using the card. Even if you pay your statement balance, that will not pay off the Easy Pay Enrolled Transactions.

Barclays Bank Company Information