2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

BOTTOM LINE

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with excellent rates and no required minimum balances. Online account options are limited, but navigating the website or app is easy.

PROS

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

CONS

• Limited customer support
  • No ATM network

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Top Barclays Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial, if you can locate them, are helpful but more often than not, conspicuous by their absence.

I was recently married and while changing my last name, Barclays was the easiest, fastest card to do so with no hassle. I also appreciate they give me a monthly FICO score as I have been in the process of rebuilding my credit for the last 5 years. I appreciate the quick service and lack of red tape

What is Barclays Bank?

Barclays Bank is a British multinational investment bank and financial services company that specializes in retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, credit cards and wealth management. Barclays’ online banking services allow account holders to manage payments, check statements and transfer funds between accounts, and the Barclays mobile app lets customers check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.

Barclays account options

Barclays Bank’s financial products include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards.

Barclays’ online savings accounts
Barclays’ savings accounts offer competitive rates with an annual percentage yield (APY) that starts around 1.8%. Through the Barclays savings account app, account holders get 24/7 online access to funds plus the ability to view statements and deposit and transfer money.
Barclays’ online CDs
Consumers can select online certificates of deposit (CD) with terms that range from three months to 60 months. Current Barclays CD rates start around 0.35%. You can open a series of CDs with varying maturity dates, which provides faster access to funds or limits monetary penalties should the account holder choose to close the account.
Barclays’ credit cards
Barclays offers several credit card products, including cards in partnership with Uber and Wyndham. Barclays Bank credit cards feature a variety of benefits, including rewards points for travel and retail, entertainment perks and cash back programs. Barclaycard is a multinational credit card with extra benefits like purchase assurance and price protection. Cardholders can pay bills, check balances and track transactions through the Barclaycard app, which is available through the App Store or Google Play.

Barclays Bank FAQ

Does Barclays have checking accounts?
No, Barclays does not currently offer checking accounts. Barclays offers savings accounts, credit cards and certificates of deposits (CDs). However, the bank has plans to add a digital-only checking account feature in the future.
What is Barclaycard?
Barclaycard is a credit card issued by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Additional Barclaycard benefits include deferred financing, ID theft protection, fraud liability protection and the ability to check FICO credit score reports for free.
Is it hard to get approved for a Barclaycard?
The Barclaycard requires good to excellent credit. Applicants with a credit score above 700 will most likely be approved, and those with a score below 650 may qualify depending on their current income, existing debt and additional credit history.
Is Barclays Bank FDIC-insured?
Yes. Barclays Bank is a member of the FDIC, so all deposit accounts are insured up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
How much can I withdraw from my Barclays savings account?
The maximum amount you can withdrawal from a Barclays savings account is limited to $250,000 per transaction.
Where is Barclays Bank located?
Barclays Bank is headquartered in London, England, and has locations across Europe, Asia, Africa and America. In the U.S., Barclays Bank has branches in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and Texas.

Is Barclays a good bank?

Barclays Bank is a good bank for those with large, long-term savings goals or who want to establish and build an emergency fund. However, because it isn’t a full-service bank, customers who choose Barclays for their savings accounts will have to choose another bank for other banking needs, including checking products and services.

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Very poorly run company. I opened an account with them late 2019 and they gave me a generous credit limit of $9k and after putting my sons college tuition on the card of $4,500 they reduced my credit limit down to $4,500. So now I'm using 100% of my limit and that hurts my credit profile BIG Time! I have never missed a payment on anything and I'm making the same amount of money as I was when I got the card. I find the practice of lowering credit limits when there the customer has 0 late payments any credit items to be malicious and only hurts the consumer. Watch out for these guys!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I have had a terrible experience with the Barclays Frontier Credit Card that I have read many other people also experience. I have a very high FICO score and I work hard to keep it that way. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, Barclays E-mails me and shows me a HUGE 30 point drop in my SCORE. I am extremely well-versed in my FICO score. I spent hours on the phone and got reports mailed to me from Transunion and there is Absolutely 100% no legitimate no reason for this drop. None of the other sites show my score has dropped. Only Barclays. The drop is unique to them. Transunion says it is not because of them. My score on there was 30 points higher, yet Barclays contends it gets the score from Transunion. This is a lie. If you call Barclays, they have someone from the Philippines who knows nothing about anything.

If all of the other numerous places from which I check my score report a score 30 points higher, and Barclays is the only one that drops it by 30 THIRTY whole points, then the problem is that Barclays is committing fraud. And the only reason I can think is that I am not using their card to spend money every month. So they punish me by dropping my score,. When I go on all the other credit card's FICO site, I see my score is high. When I get my credit reports from the 3 agencies is it high. But Barclays send me these horrible E-mail alerts "Your CREDIT SCORE HAS CHANGED." To upset me. This is intentional to upset me, and waste my time. IT is meant to shock and hurt me. It is false and fraudulent.

Barclays is the ONLY one to lower my score. It is FRAUD. Barclays should be thoroughly investigated for engaging in this matter of intimidating customers. IF you look at Barclays stock price, you will see they are financially in trouble. So intimidating customers by sending them false FICO alerts, is their way of trying to get cardholders to spend money. Barclays should be held accountable but when you call them they say to call Transunion because they get it from Transunion. My transunion score remains 30 points higher than the Barclays score. Barclays should pay penalties for fraud.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

The following has occurred several times since I opened a CD account with Barclays Bank early this year: impossibility to access my account online with my ID and PW; my account gets blocked; I have to spend hours with customer service with security questions and they still cannot help, told to wait a few days; After several days, a customer service finally truly unblocks my account and I can regain access to it online. This is totally intolerable, unacceptable. When the CD matures next Spring I will NEVER use this bank again.

Original review: July 31, 2020

They gave me a break on an interest payment during Covid-19 when I was having trouble getting a big refund from a cruise company. I appreciated that. Their website is very consumer friendly and I pay no international banking fees when I use it abroad.

Original review: July 26, 2020

I can't log in to their website and have not been able to access my online activities for 7 weeks. I can't send them an email because you have to access your account to do that, so I have to call their toll free number. Only answer I get is that they know they have an issue and are working on it. I call every week and get the same response. Totally unacceptable for a major credit card. Is this a Barclays issue or a Wyndham issue?

Original review: July 24, 2020

The card is great for Jet Blue points, interest is high but I pay it off monthly so I don't pay interest. Annual fee sucks but if you want points you have to pay. I buy everything with the card to get as much points as possible.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Let me start by explaining how horrible this CC is, they are the worst. Do yourselves favor. Don't get this card. It's run by Wyndham and don't apply... Customer Service are the worst, meaning overseas. The company sneak up on the customer with high fee after what just happen and after we overpay our bill. They didn't care or budge at all... They are not helpful and caring for that matter...

Original review: July 23, 2020

This bank hires only the most arrogant people for their customer service. They will go out of their way to not help you. I had accounts with two credit cards issued by Barclays. You would think asking them to transfer a payment from one card to another would be a simple task. Not for Barclays. They go the extra mile to make sure they will make life easy only for themselves.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Would give zero stars if that were a possibility. Predatory practices from day one. First, they reduced my limit to just above my balance, which threw my credit data out of whack. Then they pulled a hard inquiry and closed the account a year after it was opened. I've been in autopsy for two years since its closure and my balance is literally still at the limit. They don't apply your payments to principal at all. It's as bad as a student loan. They keep recalculating the payments to be higher and higher despite me paying on time, and now it's gone to where I've had a payment bounce because they attempted to take so much out. One missed payment dropped my credit by 42 points, yet they gleefully took out this month's no problem. I'm over it and about ready to turn off autopsy and let it go to collections. The damage to my credit has already been done anyhow. Worst, most predatory bank.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Due to COVID 5/5/2020 bill paid 1 day late. Customer service guaranteed removal of Interest charge of $334.44 on 6/5/2020 Bill and No interest moving forward if paid on time. It was never removed and another Interest charge of $253.01 was on 7/5/2020 Bill. I always pay my bills in full for years. Barclay customer service is a disgrace! Promise one thing and do another! Been sending messages and calling for 3 days to No avail. They don't answer messages, the phone, and don't have an e-mail. Customer service at Barclay is Horrible!

Barclays Bank Company Information