Find the Best Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

693 Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have been trying to simply change what account my automatic payments are taken from. I went online, it said to do it by phone. I called, spent an hour with them telling me it couldn't be done online. Went back online, sent secure message, they wrote back saying call... I called, they said it has to be done online. This bank is a disaster, they don't know what they are doing, people are nice, but have no ability to do anything, even the supervisors.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have been a customer with Barclays for many years...always pay on time, always pay more than the minimum. Now for the 2nd time in 7 months they have lowered my limit!! This makes it look like my card is maxed out and negatively affects my credit score... Is this even legal? As soon as I pay it down, they lower my credit!!! Do yourself a favor and don’t even apply with them!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I applied for a card with a 825 credit score and no debt and was not approved and was told it would take about 30 days for review. Forget it. I'll go somewhere else that doesn't jack you around. It is almost impossible to get a live person... and when you do they are rude!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have had a MasterCard with them for over 2 years. I have excellent credit, paid every one of my payments on time, then all the sudden they lowered my credit card limit in half. They stated that my balances on other accounts was too high. This happens right after I was furloughed as federal government employee. Their lending practices are discriminatory and unfair. Now it looks like I max out my credit card. Do not use or apply for Barclays US cards.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

They really screw you in the interest. They make you pay every month full amount of interest charge. I have Discover Card. They take a year of interest and divide by 12 and charge me $16 and some change, Barclays charges. I never understood two cards 88.00 charge monthly?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have had a Barclays card for almost 6 years now. My number was somehow stolen recently and a number of charges were fraudulently made over 3 days until I caught it and reported it. After a month-long "investigation," Barclays contacted me to say that one of the charges (the most expensive, of course) was validated by the merchant, a court in Alabama of all things, for a citation. I live in California, have never been to Alabama, and have certainly never been issued a citation there. If their fraud department couldn't easily identify this as an obviously fraudulent charge - especially since it was made amongst other fraudulent charges - then they are truly, truly pathetic.

Long story short, they say they will replace the charge on my card and it will now be up to me to resolve with the Alabama court myself. Wow. They were also extremely rude and obviously couldn't care less on the phone. I would warn everyone NOT to use Barclay's services because you effectively have absolutely no protection from fraud with them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We did some research into this company and we would be concerned with people who hold credit cards with them. We would recommend closing your accounts and not dealing with them. This is what we found. Every single number you call is nothing more than an automated message that does not give you the option to talk to a live representative. They do this on purpose because they do not want to talk to you and to avoid all questions to what they are really hiding. So we had to find out who was underwriting them and contact them directly. Well it turns out Mercury Credit Cards is not a bank or any type of financial institution.

When we contacted First Bank in the Dakota we told them about the fishy business practices of Mercury Credit Card and they pretended to be surprised. They told us the "back door" on how to get an agent. Call Mercury's toll free number and press 0 at least 4 or 5 times. Every time you press the number 0 you automatically get bound back to the main recording. Mercury figures if you do 0 get the main menu, 0 again main menu, 10 - 15 - 20 times you'll just hang up. You have to press the 0 button 5 times in a row. Not zero wait for the recording. What a bunch of con artists!

So once we finally got an agent on the phone, we just got lie after lie after lie. We had a payment due on Saturday and paid it on time. Mercury had no problem taking the money out of our account instantly but didn't bother to credit our account. So red flags started popping up. Out of the 14 credit cards that we make a payment and in 24 hours the payment and credit show up without a problem, but not Mercury! So almost a week goes by and we call them up, get a representative on the line. Makes up a story on how it takes 3-5 day to show up, ok whatever. The next it doesn't show up. Call again, mysteriously the same exact agent we spoke to almost 24 hours answers. Once again another made up story, 24 hours go by. Still same thing.

Guess who we got the 3rd time we called, the same agent that lied to us purposely 2 times before. Now the red flags are going up. A so called credit card company that has only 1 employee? And there's no background noise whatsoever. Suspicions flare! So we started to question her, if Mercury was a financial institution, stutter stutter stutter, then makes up an excuse. Then we ask, "Where you're located?" she stutters, then says the South. Then we ask, "What your physical address is because we are going to mail the payments in." IMMEDIATE RED FLAG AND THAT WAS THAT, her direct quote was "I CAN'T GIVE YOU OUR PHYSICAL ADDRESS DUE TO SECURITY REASONS".

I'm sending someone money and they purposely don't want to give you their physical address. WTF. Now then it's confirmed, MERCURY CREDIT CARDS IS A SCAM! For one, the Dept of Consumer Affairs and the Attorney General's Office clearly state that all businesses that do business with the public, must disclose their physical address on their website or give it to the customer. NOT MERCURY. Secondly, they violated the Consumer Protection Act, which states that they must immediately process a payment within a specified time period. NOT MERCURY. 12 days since the payment and nothing posted to the account. On Hold.

So what is Mercury Cards trying to hide, are they running this so called business out of their mother's basement. You refuse to disclose your address, have only 1 agent for hundreds of people, calling 3 times and getting the same person, having that 1 person that works for you purposely lie and make excuses. When we traced the payment we made with our bank, WE FOUND OUT THAT MERCURY CREDIT CARD WAS NOT EVEN ON THE NAME OF THE MERCHANT ID THEY WERE USING. So now what? They purposely hide their location and the above reasons. So we contacted our bank, reversed the payments and blocked their merchant ID from making any future attempts out of our account. All this information is a first hand account of everything that happened to us, and it's the truth. Be very very careful about doing business with these cons.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I received a Jetblue credit card that I did not request and when I called the number to have it deactivated I was told I had to give them my social security number which I refused. I asked them how they acquired my social security without a request and was disconnected. This is a form of identity theft since I never gave them my number.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I've had the Barclays credit card for three or four years. Never missed a payment, never late & always paid more than the minimum. Yet they reduce my available credit twice. Why? They give me an excuse that my balance is too high. I have not used their card in over a year, yet always made monthly payments. They gave me a credit line of over $4,000, it's now $2,200. I now owe them about $i,800, never owed more than about 2,500. Can't wait to pay them off.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Been with Barclays for 5 years, only used the card for a year as they would not lower the APR. I only keep the card cause it’s free and the length of time for the credit is good to have. Their customer service sucks and the interest rate is double my other cards. Barclays doesn’t compare to most other cards or competitors.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I made a payment on October 31 of over $10,000.00 (we were paying for our wedding). This company cashed the check on November 14th and still has not applied the funds to my account. My credit took a hit because I am not willing to send them more money. I own a home and just recently got married, and HAD perfect credit. This company is bad bad bad and the people running it should be in jail. I am so mad I ever opened an account with this company. Be smarter than the rest of us here and get a credit card from somewhere else. ZERO STARS.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

0 is what they deserve from me. They have been a nightmare. They are a ripoff. They accrued some type of interest which they will not remove even though it was their fault for making a mistake with my payments which are always on time and I always pay more than the minimum. They will lie to you and tell you that they will take care of it and in the end they will waste your time. I also tried using the card for a small payment and they have been giving me a hassle for about a week. They have given me so much trouble that I had to order a new card in the mail which I already received for them to put a block on the card for no reason. I called them to find out what is going on and they just tell me the same thing, that it should be working fine. They are ridiculous. A big 0 for them!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Don't bother signing up to get your "50,000 American Airlines" points because it’s a big fat lie and a rip-off. They find every loophole they can to avoid giving you your points. I never got mine, even though I paid my fee and bill in the first 90 days like they required.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We made a claim on an item we ordered and was stolen at the mail box. We jumped through hoops with endless documentation’s and then denied. Our other credit cards would of been easy to work with and would of covered this loss. Their “perks” are all for show. Disappointing. If you have not open an account with them... don’t bother!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

A “school” helped us get business start up $ with 3 banks. Credit card company “A,” “B” for Barclay, and “C” each extended credit. When the school was sued and closed by the FTC for fraud, we filed a dispute. Credit companies “A” and “C” (their company names start w/ those letters) credited our accounts within 30 days. BARCLAY HAS STALLED, dodged, & repeated same dead end script for 8 months. I concur with others: STAY AWAY from Barclays!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I received an email from Barclaycard that If I enroll in the automatic credit card payment then I will receive $10. After enrolling, I received three statements and three automatic payments have conducted and it has been more than two months still I did not receive the promotion offer. I called the customer service two times and they always say blah blah ball but could not give me an exact answer why did not I receive the promotion. I think they just expect customer will eventually forget or ignore because of the small amount, however, they will make the profit.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I Was purchasing tickets to travel with my family and got the promo ad offering to apply for the CC and get a better rate and two round tickets. Long story short was not approved when my credit is above 750 and requested to mail my Social Security Card, Driver licence and passport or third form of ID... WTF??? Signing my life away if my documents get on the wrong hands!!! Call them and asked if I could provide the information in a different way and there was none. FYI I have an account with them currently.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Had a dispute with a merchant. Reported to Barclay Aviator Red Card. Provided them with 2 people to collaborate my statements. After 2 months, they never contacted my provided contacts. Then, stated they could not do anything because I provided my credit card. Dispute department and process was worthless.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had a Barclays card for 4 years with a perfect payment history. In August 2018 they sold my account to Mercury Card. When I called Mercury Card they told me I was 30 days late. So I made a payment. They made an error, I made another Payment. They said they were going to fix the error. Today I found out they charged my account off at 60 days. There's nothing I can do. I just want to warn other people of Barclays. They seem great until they sell your account out... They Ruined my credit and it was perfect. Awful experience. Beware. NIGHTMARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have had a few problems with Barclays over the years, but here is the latest. I submitted an online payment on 9/2/18. In the past, they have always taken the payment out of my checking the same day or the next day. I assumed that September was no different and that by the middle of the month, they had already received the payment. However, they decided to wait until the money was no longer in the account at the middle of the month before trying to take it out. This caused me a bank fee.

They then tried again, causing another bank fee and also a fee from Barclays. When I received the credit card bill for the next month, it only included October. I made the payment again on time and it was taken out the next day. Now after the October payment, they tell me that I still need to make the September payment. Why wasn't that included in the October bill? I called to talk to support and all they did was call me a liar. They have now removed my access to check my account or make payments online. This has been nothing but a headache. When I pay the card off, I'll be done with them forever and will be telling others to stay away.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

The Estate's probate attorney sent notice to Citibank regarding her death and stating that, per the law, they would need to file a Creditor's claim against the Estate in the timeframe permitted by law. Barclays FAILED to file the claim or respond to the legal notice filed in the local paper in the timeframe required by law. Barclays, due to their failure to respond to the notice and legal notice, no longer has any right to request payment. While they are VERY aware of this, they send the family member's threatening notes.

Not only this, they have sent this "collection" to a company that takes pride in running the family of dead individuals for money Barclays no longer has a legal right to claim... EVEN after the probate attorney re-sent all the documentation to Barclays and the dead account holder predator! Every time I, as the PR of the Estate, receive one of their mailing, which is two or more times a month, I am reminded that the sister who I loved dearly is dead... MAKE THEM STOP!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I consolidated my cards with my credit union and Barclays cashed the check on Oct 2nd. The money was never credited to my account. I called on Oct 5th. They said they would investigate it. I got a letter on the 12 that said I needed to go to my bank and get a copy of the front and back of the canceled check and fax it to them and I need to make my payment to avoid late fees on an account that is already supposed to be closed. I did both. On Oct 29th I called Nate they said they are investigating it still and I need to make my payment on Nov 2nd or I will get late fees again. This account should have been paid off and closed on Oct. 2nd when they cashed the check. They said I should call back on Nov. 8th to check on it. This is the worst company ever. If they can't keep up with my money they won't be able to keep up with yours either. I'm at the point of just using them now. Take your business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I've had a Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard for years. My complaints about this company don't relate specifically to problems I've encountered with my credit card account, but relate more to what a joke this card issuer is. They consider themselves a big player, but when you compare their operations to other national card issuers, Barclaycard is in the stone age. Their "account alerts" (i.e. Security) is a total joke. I signed up to be notified every time there's a transaction over $50. One would think in this day and age that would be instant, but not with Barclaycard... Their idea of notifying you means you get alerted 2-3 days after the transaction has occurred. Now think about that... 2-3 days... If I lost my card and didn't catch the fact I had, I wouldn't know someone was using it for 2-3 days after the fact. What a pathetic shameful joke of a service to offer their customers... Obviously they hire only the best technology people!

As to customer service that's a joke as well. On the phone they are hard to understand and obviously not US based. In writing they are slow to respond. When I wanted to change from a Mastercard card to a VISA card they said no, but they've increased my credit line substantially over the years. They are a good credit reference but nothing more. They should stop pretending to be a major player amongst major players, because they aren't.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Bad idea Barclays for switching one of my cards over to Mercury. Mercury is horrible. They don’t care about their customers. I spent two hours on the phone today getting transferred around being left on hold for such a long time that a recording came on that said my allotted time on hold was up so I need to hang up and please try again and then Mercury hung up on me. They kept transferring me to different people. I wound up with six different people and no one would help me. Bottom line is I made my payment on time with Mercury the first payment I had since it switched from Barclays. I received a confirmation of my payment. A few days later I get a notification from my credit report stating that there was a derogatory mark from Mercury which stated that I did not make my payment on time which I did and have a confirmation number.

Finally getting someone they said it looked like I may have put my bank information in wrong which I did however I told them it was their responsibility to inform me and notify me since I have notifications on my credit card account to inform me something went wrong especially since this was the first payment I made since Barclays switched to Mercury. They said they were so inundated with phone calls because of the changeover that they didn’t have a chance to contact me. And then three other different agents tell me something different than three other agents already told me that they apologize for not getting in touch with me about this matter before my payment became late. So they waited for it to be late and then reported me to the credit bureau without even giving me a chance.

It was my fault that I put in one wrong bank number. I missed it by one number but it was Mercury’s responsibility to inform me. They showed I did make my payment and gave me a confirmation so how would I know something was wrong? All they did give me a derogatory mark on my credit which I don’t have and I’ve never made any payments late ever. Their customer service is horrible everything about this credit card is horrible!! Especially their customer service who just kept passing me around to different people and leaving me on hold without coming back. That is not acceptable at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Have repeatedly had to reset mobile app password because they have some internal issue. In fact their service people acknowledge that many people complain about the poor mobile app design and use. Yet they have done nothing to correct their problems or improve the app. They are the worst bank to deal with and I would never open any account with them. JetBlue made a serious mistake changing to this bank and it has been a problem from the very beginning. If you need a credit card do not get a Barclays card no matter what they offering.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I open a credit card at American Airlines offer and they charge me a 95 dollar fee and I never got the credit card and they refuse to give me the money back. They charge me 95 annual fee and I never use it. I close the card. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I reserved a room online. I was told if I open a Barclay Credit Card I would save $25. I did so. To my surprise I COULD NOT use the card because it had not been mailed to me... 14 days to mail. Since I could not use the card I attempted 4x over 2 days to cancel the card. I was on phone an average of 40 minutes each time and was told to call back as the department I needed was not available. Stall tactics? Anyway when I actually got someone to deal with situation they asked for the account number. DUH. I have not received a card. Anyway after some brow beating I was able to close the account. NEVER will do business with this bank. Customer service terrible and the stall tactics unacceptable. Be wary before you utilize their services. I gave a 1 star but really wanted ZERO.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I was with Barclays Mastercard for 3 years. Now they sold us out to some sideshow company called Mercury Mastercard. Every time I paid my Barclay bill, my credit was always available the very next morning... Well I look to charge on my card. No credit available... 3.00 available... just paid 700.00 the early am on Wed Sept 26th. I called 4 times. Finally someone answered. I said I wanted a supervisor or manager to talk to... they said no one available that they would call me back. That didn't happen... called again they said you have a 3 to 5 day waiting period before your credit shows up available **!! It didn't take them but a couple hours to take it out of my bank account!! If this continues I will cancel this card whether it means my credit score is affected doesn't matter. I never missed a payment for 3 years not one... I'm just totally disgusted and a very unhappy Mercury customer???

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I've been with Barclays for 5 years, never missed a payment, never been late. They sold my 2 cards to Mercury. Their customer service line is overloaded and unable to take calls or the wait is over 30 minutes... that's as long as I've waited with no help. If you call the Mercury lost card/fraud number they pick up immediately. They cannot help with your account at that number. I was unable to establish both cards when setting up the online account. It required me to use another email account to set up the second card.

The account online did not show the payment I established to be paid on the due date. There was no confirmation of the payment being established by email or in any place on the website. You must make a recurring payment for your payment to be viewable. You cannot cancel a nonrecurring payment because there is no option on the website. The website is a joke that looks like it was built in 1989 using DOS. Very little functionality. Mercury Cards is a horrible institution and I will end my relationship with them as soon as possible.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Had a dispute where I was charged by a merchant for a service I did not receive. The merchant agreed it was an error also. 6 months later and I am still trying to Get American Airlines Barclay to correct it. They are horrible with disputes.

Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Company Information