1.05/5

Looking for a great Credit Card?

668 Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I open a credit card at American Airlines offer and they charge me a 95 dollar fee and I never got the credit card and they refuse to give me the money back. They charge me 95 annual fee and I never use it. I close the card. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I reserved a room online. I was told if I open a Barclay Credit Card I would save $25. I did so. To my surprise I COULD NOT use the card because it had not been mailed to me... 14 days to mail. Since I could not use the card I attempted 4x over 2 days to cancel the card. I was on phone an average of 40 minutes each time and was told to call back as the department I needed was not available. Stall tactics? Anyway when I actually got someone to deal with situation they asked for the account number. DUH. I have not received a card. Anyway after some brow beating I was able to close the account. NEVER will do business with this bank. Customer service terrible and the stall tactics unacceptable. Be wary before you utilize their services. I gave a 1 star but really wanted ZERO.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I was with Barclays Mastercard for 3 years. Now they sold us out to some sideshow company called Mercury Mastercard. Every time I paid my Barclay bill, my credit was always available the very next morning... Well I look to charge on my card. No credit available... 3.00 available... just paid 700.00 the early am on Wed Sept 26th. I called 4 times. Finally someone answered. I said I wanted a supervisor or manager to talk to... they said no one available that they would call me back. That didn't happen... called again they said you have a 3 to 5 day waiting period before your credit shows up available **!! It didn't take them but a couple hours to take it out of my bank account!! If this continues I will cancel this card whether it means my credit score is affected doesn't matter. I never missed a payment for 3 years not one... I'm just totally disgusted and a very unhappy Mercury customer???

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I've been with Barclays for 5 years, never missed a payment, never been late. They sold my 2 cards to Mercury. Their customer service line is overloaded and unable to take calls or the wait is over 30 minutes... that's as long as I've waited with no help. If you call the Mercury lost card/fraud number they pick up immediately. They cannot help with your account at that number. I was unable to establish both cards when setting up the online account. It required me to use another email account to set up the second card.

The account online did not show the payment I established to be paid on the due date. There was no confirmation of the payment being established by email or in any place on the website. You must make a recurring payment for your payment to be viewable. You cannot cancel a nonrecurring payment because there is no option on the website. The website is a joke that looks like it was built in 1989 using DOS. Very little functionality. Mercury Cards is a horrible institution and I will end my relationship with them as soon as possible.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Had a dispute where I was charged by a merchant for a service I did not receive. The merchant agreed it was an error also. 6 months later and I am still trying to Get American Airlines Barclay to correct it. They are horrible with disputes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I have had an account with Barclays for 3 years now with a $3750.00 credit limit. I got close to limit, and stopped using for a few months, and only made minimum payments. I finally after 6 months got a bonus, and paid $2500.00 on account. After payment cleared, Barclays decreased my credit limit to $1200.00. I called them about it, and they basically told me to go fly a kite. I told customer service rep how I did not appreciate how I had been done, and he said there’s nothing they can do. I will pay them off, and never use again. They are a TERRIBLE company.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

It all starts with a merchant I ordered from who did not send ALL of the order. So naturally I filed a dispute when the merchant ignored my requests for the rest. Barclays basically just added a note to my account and it went on my credit report (just the dispute note, which can harm you if you’re trying to buy a house)! They also said I still have to pay the disputed amount and if they rule in my favor then I will get credit (Luckily the merchant made good so I paid it). LOL. Go ** yourself! Secondly, to get a limit increase, which I’ve had this card for a couple years now with a 1500 limit, they put a mark on my credit again by checking. None of my other cards do that and I have a lot. They still turned me down for an increase.

Thirdly, which doesn’t have anything to do with me, but still, My friend’s husband had an account opened in his name by his ex wife unknowingly and she maxed it out. Barclays is still making him pay for it! He obviously won the case against her in court and she has to pay it but c’mon, do you think she will? He’s still responsible and still has to pay it off. So with all of that, and maybe it's petty to you, but there are other cards out there that are on the customer’s side. Discover, the best at customer service, Chase, Citi, Capital One, they’re all 10 stars better than this hunk of crap Barclays and as soon as I buy my house in the next few months, I am cutting them off. I have stopped using it completely.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

12 members of my family recently sailed on the Carnival Valor (2-6 August 2018). On 2 August, there was a table set up for people to complete a Carnival credit card application and get lanyards and bags for free. I (and many others in my party of 12) began to complete the application and I told the representative that we didn't want the card and asked if we could get a lanyard. I offered to give her $5 for a bag and a lanyard. She said, in order to get a free gift, you had to do the application but she said, "If you do not want it to be processed, then you do not use the correct information and it cannot process." I said, "You mean use random numbers for the SSN and DOB?" And she said "Yes, just numbers and then sign".

She said, "It cannot process, but you get lanyard and bag." She said when they are processed and the name doesn't match the numbers like the SSN and DOB, then the application will not process and will be destroyed. I asked her if she was sure and again, she said yes. Several of the 12 people in my party and others standing around did as she suggested and she gave us the lanyards, Carnival bags, water bottles and we left. There were several other people standing around and she continued to suggest the same thing while my group was completing the application. It was never my intent to do anything fraudulent or to cause harm to anyone else. When she told me the application would not process but we could get the bag and lanyard, it seemed harmless and it made sense that it would not process if the name doesn't match the numbers.

On 7 August, My husband (Willie **) and I BOTH received a Carnival Credit Card issued by Barclays in the mail. On 10 August, I called the tollfree number on the card and inquired on how I could have been approved for a the Carnival credit card. I explained what happened and the rep asked for the last four of my SSN and my DOB. To my surprise, the correct SSN, DOB and address are on file for the card that was sent to me but the incorrect SSN was on file for my husband. Additionally, there are excessive charges on the card that I did not make.

In fact, I didn't make ANY of the charges. The card has not been activated. Additionally, the charges are also on the credit card that I had on file for my sale and sign. I don't know how my personal information was obtained for this card, but however it was obtained, it was fraudulently done. I have cancelled the card and reported it as FRAUD. I have contacted the rest of the people in my party and told them to contact the Barclays Card Fraud and Security department. My husband and I have both requested a copy of the applications used to process these cards. I can assure you that I put random numbers and did not put my correct Social Security Number on that application. I am also reporting this as fraud with the credit bureau(s).

Update: I have been in touch with Carnival representatives who have been in touch with Barclays. They told me: #1. The rep that was on the ship, denied telling people to put incorrect information. #2. Although my husband's SSN was incorrect by each number being off by two numbers, SOMEONE at Barclays still approved and issued him a credit card. How did they know his credit score rated him getting a CREDIT card? He too has a credit card through Barclays. Did someone use the info that is on file for the card that he already has with Barclays? Barclays executive Devin stated that sometimes they use public records to complete the applications. That certainly doesn't seem right.

#3. I did not put the correct information (SSN, DOB or address) on that application on the Carnival Cruise. I do however have another card issued by Barclays. Did someone look my information up based on a portion of the correct information that was on the application and match it to what's already on file? #4. Barclays has stated that the applications were destroyed even though they told me that they would send me a copy in 7 to 10 days. When I called back, they told me they did not have copies because they destroy them after they put the information in the system. So in other words, anyone with anyone else personal information can fraudulently apply for a Barclays credit card in someone else's name and Barclays will not only approve it, but will also put charges on it before it is activated. This seems like a recipe for an identity fraud case.

#5. I received a letter from Barclays stating that a thorough investigation had concluded that all charges were valid and the investigation is closed. SOMEONE at Barclays did something fraudulent for my husband and I to obtain credit cards. My children also completed applications but did not get credit cards. Why? Because their credit is not established...but my husband and I put incorrect information and had cards mailed to us and coincidentally, we have other cards with Barclays.

#6. Why would the applications be destroyed? Anyone could have filled out this application using someone else's name and information. There were no forms of IDs requested or anything. I don't know how to prove that I did not write my correct information, but I did not. #7. Carnival was told that everyone that was approved or disapproved got a letter on the cruise. Neither I or my husband received anything. I have talked to my other family members and none of them received any type of notification while on the cruise. Had we received anything while we were on the cruise, we would have addressed it while on the cruise. DO NOT SAIL ON CARNIVAL AND DO NOT USE BARCLAYS CREDIT CARDS.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Barclays Letter feels like a SCAM. I applied for the JetBlue Credit Card. My FICO score is 839, so who would think a problem would occur? They sent me a letter asking for copies of my driver's license, bank statements and SS card. Who does this? They can keep their card.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

First off, I want to start by saying I don't have a lot of credit cards but being a new business owner has put me in a money crunch. I've dealt with all the other companies in putting me on a payment plan in which to help me, a tax paying American. However, when I had a late payment last month, Barclays advised I needed to make my payment in order for them to offer me a payment plan. Ok, done. Then when I called back to make a payment plan they tell me my account needs to be in past due status in order for them to put me on a plan. The complete opposite of what I was told!!!

The manager advised that "technically they can't put me on a plan". Well "technically" I should have been given the correct information and he, JOSEPH the manager should have assisted as I KNOW he could in putting me on a payment plan. STAY AWAY from this company, they have high interests and nothing useful comes out of their stupid rewards points. It only helps IF you go on a cruise and it doesn't even cover much. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Reported a double charge from a travel company to Barclay. Started an investigation in May. Sent in all the required documents they requested. As of now, 3 months later, all I get is lip service. Tells me the charge is still under investigation... When asked when the investigation will be over or any such time frame, nobody can answer that. Have spoken to managers, and now they tell me if I want to go further I will have to write a letter to the office of the President... THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! As soon as this is over, I will be cancelling my card.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have been a credit card client with Barclays for almost 12 years. Today I received a letter from an obscure credit card issuer stating that Barclays had sold my account to them and as of September 2018 my Juniper Card would convert to a Mercury Mastercard. Barclays did not notify any clients and doesn't provide any information through customer service other than to state that, "your account has been sold". To be clear, my account is in good standing and has been for the entire time it's been open. It currently has a 0 balance. Essentially what Barclays has done is force many of its clients into a business relationship not of their choosing. Your only options are to continue with a company that you know nothing about or close your account, which would be detrimental to your credit score. This entire action shows what a lack of regard Barclays has for its clients. It will be a very long time before I ever consider doing business with Barclays again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I primarily used them for my travel card. I booked flights to Nicaragua for me and my cousin 962 total. When I did the initial transaction they denied the charge. I called them because I know I had nearly a 10k limit and hadn't used the card. They stated they declined the charges for security reason and advised me to rebook the next day. I rebooked the next day and the charges went through; they then for reasons unknown released the funds for the original booking. Now I have 2 bookings, I dispute the charges, they deny it. I try for a YEAR to collect my 962 from the airline to no avail. I go back to Barclay figuring since this was their fault that they would correct it.

Nope, they tell me because I didn't dispute it within 120 days. It's null and void. I remind them that I disputed it immediately, They tell me, it was disputed with fraud not with the dispute. WHAT??!! So let me get this right, YOU release funds after telling me to rebook, YOU open a FRAUD case when I tell you I'm disputing the charges and YOU deny making it right and direct me to the airlines and then you tell me the time expired to file a claim. I use this card regularly and it was my main card for travel. You don't EVER have to worry about my business again. Took me for 1K at no fault of my own other than selecting you for my card. Won't ever have to worry about. It's not like your interest rate was even good, because it's wasn't.

Original review: July 21, 2018

This card does not care if you are a loyal member. I've been with them over a year with a credit limit of $3700, and out of nowhere they dropped it to $1500 without ever missing a payment. By doing that it also dropped my credit score over 75 points. The reason they gave me was due to information that was on my credit files, which was already there when I submitted my application. I'm so upset right now. Even when you do the right things you still get punished!

Original review: July 7, 2018

BARCLAYCARD REWARDS IS A RIPOFF. The few months I have had this card I get charges that I did not authorize. I went to pay my bill today at 6:01 pm CST and I am being charged a late fee because I didn't make the payment one minute earlier according to page 4 in small print of the credit card statement. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS RIPOFF COMPANY.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Have had the Carnival Barclays Credit Card 9 months now. It’s the WORST CARD I have ever used. Had my payments bank drafted so I would never be late. Barclays charged me a late fee and would not change it. Then they drafted THREE payments out of my bank account for $2,900. This caused an overdraft from my bank. They refunded $2,900 but did not refund the other overcharge. Their customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. Said it would take 30 days to resolve the problem and IT WAS THEIR ERROR that caused the problem.

VERY HARD TO GET HELP. DO NOT GET THIS CARD!!! Tried to redeem my fun points but they would not give me all my points. They kept 3000 of the points! Very WORST CREDIT CARD COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH. I have always had a great credit score, but after I started using this card, BARCLAYS CAUSED MY SCORE TO DROP BY 100 points!!! Let me say again, trust me, do not get this card!!! It’s terrible!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I received a letter with great sounding amounts, interest rates, and so forth. I was supposedly pre-selected. Immediately I went online, applied, and got a response. "We're unable to approve your application for a Barclays Personal Loan at this time." Why send me such a letter and waste my time? Certainly nothing has changed in my credit reports, balances, or anything else within a matter of a few hours or even days. I have always paid all my bills on time and usually more than the minimum. Don't waste your time with Barclays.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Barclay Card Loan Offer is fraudulent. I received an offer in the mail for pre-approved online loan. Offered great interest rate and payback options. Stated it was easy to apply with no hassle and an answer in only a few days. I provided all of the personal information they requested and even had a few phone calls with them (taking longer lunch break to do so). They continually called me maam instead of sir even after I told them I am a sir (and as it appears on the information I sent to them). I have a hypofunctioning adrenal gland, so I do sound more feminine than most men. They stated they could not prove my identity (I sent them my SS card, driver's license, copies of bills mailed to my home, gave them previous address information that I could remember (I've lived in the same house for 21 years), my W2 and a copy of my latest bank statement.

I asked what else they needed from me to prove I am who I say I am and they would not give me any other options. While I am glad they want to ensure the identity, I gave them everything they needed and was still insulted. They even called me by my wife's name and the only information I gave them with her name was our bank statement. Now they have all of my personal information to do with as they please because I, in good faith, gave it to them. Please beware of these types of mail offers.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had an LL Bean credit card through Barclays. I set up the automatic payments to have the balance of the credit card paid in full every month. I thought that arrangement would prevent any late payments. Wrong! I just received a statement with a late fee and past due notice. I looked and saw that the arrangement to pay the balance automatically was still, I thought, in force. At least it showed up that way on my account on the credit card's website. I called customer service to find out what happened that the bill wasn't paid. I was informed that the automatic payments are only in place for 12 months!! I certainly don't remember being told that when I set up the automatic payments and I know I never got a notice saying that my automatic payments had expired. I was charged a $27 late fee.

Since I did catch the problem during the very next billing cycle, I asked if it would be reported to the credit bureau; they told me that it was their policy to report late payments after they were 30 days late! In my opinion, this is a scam to collect $27 from unwitting consumers! I have several other accounts that are paid through an automatic payment system and none of them stop the payments after a random date -- they stop when I tell them to stop. At the very least, I should have been informed that the automatic payment arrangement was terminating. It's one thing if I don't make the payment, but when I use a payment system that is set up by Barclays, they should be more forthcoming about the payment arrangements! Thankfully, LL Bean will be issuing a new credit card from another financial institution! Barclays will stick in my mind and I will not use another Barclays product!

Original review: June 8, 2018

Barclays attracted me because of their savings rate and also they are supposed to be an international bank! The savings rate is one the competitive rate in the US; however, when I tried to open account it was horrible experience. The Company did not contact regarding my application, I contacted numerous occasion over a week and I was asked to send in verification documents which I promptly sent. After a week of back and forth I was told to reapply with my full name! When I called the call was dropped and never to be heard from this bank! To me this is absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional ways to do business. I will keep my money with American Express Savings as they are much better professionals to deal with and also highly competitive with their savings rate.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I kept logging into my computer to see when my $5,000 balance transfer was going to happen. It finally happened but to my surprise there was another balance transfer for $5,205 and transfer fees for both. One Transfer fee was $150.00 and the other $156.15. I called Barclay credit card on May 16, 2018 at 2:23 pm Mountain Time, to inquire about this and they tell me that it came from my computer. I assured them it did not. I asked to keep it the way it was because I spent the entire day figuring out how to make it work. I only asked that they take away one of the fees since I did not make the one balance transfer. I got nowhere with the first gentlemen I spoke with then I spoke to the manager and he repeated the same thing. They said, that they can send the $5205.00 back and I said, why would you do that, doesn't it cost money? I told them it was ok to leave it just do the right thing and take away one of the fees.

They said, they could not take away the fee but could send the money back. I again, asked, "Why would you do that? It will cost again to send it back." We just went around and around and we both kept repeating myself until the manager asked, "Is there anything else I can help you with." The only thing I said, was put in my file that I am in protest of this and I am not happy. I only wanted to transfer $5,000 originally because I wanted it paid off during the zero APR. I have never had this happen and I have done balance transfers before. Also, they had an offer that if you get their credit card that you would get 500 points for American Airlines. Then I did not get the 500 points. I called and they told me I had to pay the membership fee and buy something with a certain time. I did that and paid the balance immediately. Now, they told me it will take a month for it to show up. I am feeling that this a shady company at this point.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Due to the predatory lending policy of Barclays Bank, they are lowering the credit ratings of innocent credit card holders. With a due date of the first of every month, if the payment is made early during the final days of the month before, the payment is not credited to the month of the current bill, thus incurring a late fee and report to credit rating companies.

For example, my payment due on February 1, received on January 25, was assessed as a payment for January and not applied to the February bill and a late fee was assessed. Thus January had two payments and February was noted as not paid and late fee applied. This is predatory and intentional. They state the payment must be received in the month of the statement and not earlier. This has caused fees of $27 to be charged multiple times and has lowered my credit rating many points. I have moved the pay date to the 21 of the month because my Social Security check comes the week of the 17th of each month and that is why I was paying it before the first of the month.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I have had this card for over 5 years. I would charge several hundred dollars a month to sometimes over a thousand and would always pay the balance in full. I recently purchased a home and my credit utilization has skyrocketed. I paid the balance off of 7500.00 then charged it back to 3500.00. They then LOWERED the limit down to 3500.00 without warning, trashing my FICO score. As if that was not bad enough they even closed the account!

I would never use this company again because they are very unprofessional and do things without warning or concern for their customers. I have never had these problems with Capital One and even the so called "Sub Prime" accounts I have had for years. This company out of 12 creditors was the only creditor that decided to pull this trick. I paid off the remaining balance and will NEVER trust this company again. Imagine this was your only account and you needed it for an emergency and out of the blue they CLOSE it leaving you stranded!!! I would recommend people to look elsewhere for a credit card!!!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have been with Barclays credit card through L.L.Bean (they really need to rethink who they are using) for 10 years at least. Even though I have paid my bills on time and have an excellent credit rating, the APR shot up to 22%. It is outrageous. I have been thinking of switching to another bank company and transferring the amount which isn't a lot actually but I need to lower my monthly payments. They have recklessly increased my available amount without even confirming if I want to. I just hung up now from asking a rep (Cheryl) who did not have any time of day and immediately said no. I am utterly incensed by this lack of concern for their customers which also reflects on L.L.Bean. Until now I have been a dedicated customer of L.L.Bean but no more. Shame on them for doing business with Barclays who clearly has no concern for the customer. I will be looking into other options.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I contacted them in regards to fraud on my credit report by my brother and now they are trying to pin the fraud on me and their so-called investigator said they will make me pay for all my brother's charges.

Original review: April 8, 2018

They cut my available credit right after I paid it completely down. I've been with them for YEARS and have always been on time and paid more than what's due!!! Despite being a loyal customer, they refuse to increase my limit which does not help my score. I will keep this card ONLY to avoid hurting my credit score but if I could turn BACK the hands of time, I would throw their offer right in the TRASH!!! BARCLAYS SUCK BIG, BIG, BIG TIME!!! Consumer beware...

Original review: March 30, 2018

On 2/19/2018 I got my free credit report from TransUnion and under soft inquiries I saw Credit Shop and had no idea who they were. I called TransUnion and they said that Credit Shop was associated with one of my accounts. I called all my accounts and every account holder including Barclays card and everybody said they were not affiliated with Credit Shop. I got so angry I called Credit Shop. I spoke with Karen ** and she informed me that they bought 700,000 credit card accounts from Barclays in March 2017, and that customer service reps wouldn't know and I even spoke with supervisors who also didn't know. Karen ** at 877-203-7444 Opt #** told me that Barclays was servicing my account and they were receiving the money.

Karen ** said they wouldn't be notifying anyone until July 2018 and that their new Mercury card would be going out in September 2018. I woudn't take the word of Credit Shop when Barclays was saying my account wasn't sold. I called Barclays Bank Delaware headquartered in Wilmington, DE on 3/28/2018, Office of the President and was told my account was not sold by Tom. On 3/29/2018, I requested a letter from Barclays through the CFPB as to whether they sold my account or they didn't. I got a phone call from Nicole from this same office and she assured me that my account had not been sold.

On 3/30/2018, I spoke with Amy **, Team Manager, Office of the President, Phone number 866-750-6031 Ext **. Amy ** informed me that my account had been sold to Credit Shop in March of 2017. Barclays has made me look like a jackass for over a month. I made two complaints to the CFPB against TransUnion in one month, I have gone through the CFPB to get letters that my other creditors were not affiliated with Credit Shop, and got a police report. Barclays should be ashamed of themselves. If you find Credit Shop on your TransUnion credit report under Account Review Inquiries it means that Credit Shop had bought your Barclays credit card account in March 2017. There are approximately 700,000 accounts that have been sold and consumers that it affects don't know about it yet.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I closed my Barclays card because I had too many cards open and it affected my credit score which is in the 700s since I pay my cards off in full. When I closed my card, I was under the impression that I had a zero balance and cut up my card. There was a payment due from that month that I tried to pay off but then bounced due to the fact that I had fraud on my account and therefore my account was frozen. Here's the problem. Barclays didn't call me to resolve the problem once the 2 payments I tried to make bounced. Secondly, their system sets clients up for late fees by not zeroing out the balance prior to closing the account. There are too many cards with better service than Barclays card. Go with a card with better service, integrity and rewards.

Original review: March 16, 2018

For the last 3 months my Apple Rewards have been disappearing from my Barclay Visa account. Every time I call customer service they have not been able to provide any answers as to where my points have gone. I have called the "Office of the President" at Barclay Visa card and they are useless in providing any information. It is my belief that my Apple Rewards are being taken by someone on the inside of Barclay Visa.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This is the worst card I ever had. Waiting for a call from Lisa from their so called president’s office since forever. Card does not work abroad (even after informing them of travel), refused to give me copy of my statement, employees rude and disrespectful. Will cancel card. Also have several thousand charge a months and always pay it off at due date. Kept a reversal for 13 days until it was posted to my account. Borderline criminal.

Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Company Information