Disclosures

3.6/5 (470 ratings)

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Top Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Verified

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juni...

I was recently married and while changing my last name, Barclays was the easiest, fastest card to do so with no hassle. I also appreciate they give me a monthly FICO score as I ha...

What is Barclays Bank?

Barclays Bank is a British multinational investment bank and financial services company that specializes in retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, credit cards and wealth management. Barclays’ online banking services allow account holders to manage payments, check statements and transfer funds between accounts, and the mobile app lets customers check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.

Barclays rates and account options

Barclays Bank’s financial products include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards.

Barclays’ online savings accounts
Barclays’ savings accounts offer competitive rates with an annual percentage yield (APY) that starts around 0.40%. Through the Barclays savings account app, account holders get 24/7 online access to funds plus the ability to view statements and deposit and transfer money.
Barclays’ online CDs
You can select online certificates of deposit (CD) with terms that range from three to 60 months. Current Barclays 12-month CD rates start around 0.25% APY. You can open a series of CDs with varying maturity dates, which provides faster access to funds or limits monetary penalties should you choose to close the account.
Barclays’ credit cards
Barclays offers several credit card products, including cards in partnership with JetBlue and Wyndham. Barclays Bank’s credit cards feature a variety of benefits, including rewards points for travel and retail, entertainment perks and cashback programs. Barclaycard is a multinational credit card with extra benefits like purchase assurance and price protection.

Many of Barclays’ credit cards have an annual fee ranging from $0 to $499 depending on the card you choose. The company determines your interest rates based on your creditworthiness. Cardholders can pay bills, check balances and track transactions through the Barclaycard app, which is available through the Apple App Store or Google Play.

Barclays Bank FAQ

Does Barclays have checking accounts?
No, Barclays does not currently offer checking accounts. Barclays offers savings accounts, credit cards and certificates of deposit (CDs). However, the bank has plans to add a digital-only checking account feature in the future.
What is Barclaycard?
Barclaycard is a credit card issued by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Additional Barclaycard benefits include deferred financing, ID theft protection, fraud liability protection and the ability to check FICO credit score reports for free.
Is it hard to get approved for a Barclaycard?
The Barclaycard requires good to excellent credit. Applicants with a credit score above 700 will most likely be approved, and those with a score below 650 may qualify depending on their current income, existing debt and additional credit history.
Is Barclays Bank FDIC-insured?
Yes. Barclays Bank is a member of the FDIC, so all deposit accounts are insured up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
How much can I withdraw from my Barclays savings account?
The maximum amount you can withdraw from a Barclays savings account is $250,000 per transaction.
Where is Barclays Bank located?
Barclays Bank is headquartered in London, England, and has locations across Europe, Asia, Africa and the U.S. Barclays Bank currently has 11 branches in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, California, Washington, New York and Texas.

Is Barclays legit?

Barclays has low fees and good rates, making it a solid option for investors. With a 0.40% APY, it’s particularly ideal for customers looking for an online savings account. It also requires no minimum balances, so it’s great for small investors. Barclays also offers a decent rate for a year-long CD at 0.25%.

However, with few branches or ATMs currently in the U.S., it might not be a great choice for traditional transactional banking or money that moves around often. Although Barclays advertises 24/7 customer service, users can only speak with a live representative from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. Overall, Barclays is enticing for U.S. customers who are interested exclusively in savings and investments, but those looking for other services should look elsewhere.

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Barclays is clearly now the worst Bank in the UK, recently I lost my bank card and I Don't have a phone that supports the app, It was impossible to freeze my card over telephone banking which is diabolical, it took over 40 minutes to get through to customer services to freeze the card. This isn't acceptable at all. I could off lost all my money very quickly. Secondly it was impossible to get onto my online account with my card or the app so again this is not acceptable and it's not my phone that is rubbish because I can install all the apps from all the other banks! And lastly they are blocking transaction for Crypto purchases which is also diabolical as Barclays have no right to control what I do with my money period, first they blocked Coinbase and when I asked why they DENIED it, even though coinbase said it was clearly Barclays, and now they have blocked Binance and Binance just told me all other card issuers allow it except Barclays,

I have had a Barclays account for almost 37 years and they were brilliant but now they are crooks and just damn right awful. The bank staff (of whats left of the branches) have terrible manners and rude and don't even follow set procedures in verifying me when I had to get money out from when I lost my card which is down to poor training, they were all asking each other how to verify and none used the same steps!! And when I lost my card they ordered me another which I waited for over 2 weeks and I sent a complaint to the royal mail only to find out they didn't even order it in the first place!.

This bank has become so incompetent and dictate where my money can be spent which is a big no, no, you do not tell me where I can or can not spend my money PERIOD. This is why I have now decide to swap banks for a much better more competent building society. NO more dictatorship banks for me especially Barclays

Resolution response: Jan. 2, 2023

I received a call from the President's office of Barclay's Bank and finally got a refund check for the disputed charges.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

Worst customer service in the world! I lost my card and put it on hold on 8/6/22, it's 12/16/22 and I'm still dealing with the charges made to my account after I reported the card stolen. I've sent numerous messages detailing the credits needed, and spent hours on the phone. I was even told that the balance on the account was zero and then I got an email the next month saying my account was overdue. In addition I paid for some of the fraudulent charges when my automatic payment was made in August and I'm not getting the money back for those. Since it's a small amount I'm now giving up. I've been told today that they're crediting my account for the balance due in the next few days. We'll see if that actually happens.....

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

Barclays bank accepted a charge from a company that they warned my as possible fraudulent. This particular transaction was valid, but 4 days later same company put a charge on this card that wasn't authorized nor were the products they told the bank that I ordered were never received. I am now being transferred between the fraud reporting unit, and the denial of claims department and they do not give me a way to solve this problem.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

I just recently made a transfer to another bank that is paying a higher interest rate. Since things have gotten so expensive my partner and I are attempting to maximize our earnings safely (FDIC insured). Barclays put a block on my accounts two days ago and will not allow me to transfer funds to this new bank until they get a bank statement from this new bank. Oddly enough my partner just a week prior transferred a majority of his life savings to this new bank (which he banked with 8 years ago so it's legit). My partner is co-owner of the account that is being blocked, so why did he not need to provide a bank statement to move his funds.

Barclays knows exactly what is going on and they are losing deposits, so they are fraudulently putting a hold on my funds. Now they are telling me I have to wait up to 48 hours to speak to a manager so they can release funds. Wow, really....how did we get here? Where are the so called politicians that are looking out for our interests.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

Probably one of the absolute worst credit card experiences I've encountered (and I worked for one of the top card issuers in the country for 15 years!). I applied for the Barclay's American AAdvantage Business Card online. I was told I'd hear something back in 10 business days. After 10 days, I called to inquire, and after being on hold for nearly 2 HOURS just to speak with someone, I was told they were "backed up" and advised to just wait.

I waited another week and the website status still said "processing", so I called again. I finally reached someone in the credit department who told me their department approved the credit and it was sent to Card Services to finalize. I was even advised the credit limit that they suggested I be approved for. I was then transferred to Card Services to speak with someone to try and expedite getting my new card, and again was on hold for over 90 minutes with no one answering. Today, almost 30 days after I applied, I log on to the site and see that I was rejected. No call. No email, and so far, no letter.

I have very strong credit (830s), low debt to income, and no adverse credit history for myself or my business. In retrospect, I feel like I dodged a bullet. If reaching someone takes hours, what would it be like if I had an issue later. 30 days to review an application is ridiculous. Barclays clearly is understaffed and out of touch with the needs of today's consumers. I simply wanted to get a new card for my business with airline perks. The hoops I needed to jump through to even talk to someone was ridiculous, and I'll be flying to another issuer who knows how to better take care of their customers. Stay far away is my advice, no matter how good the promotion seems to be.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Someone or an organization needs to do something about this UK bank mistreatment of its USA customers, horrible customer service, and overall poor mishandling of funds. I was trying to do a balance transfer. It took 3 tries as they had inaccuracies within their departments. I had to call to find out what was holding up the balance transfer, even though I'd spoken to their security team and confirmed the transfer within a 24hr period to be posted, it still wasn't posted. I've decided to not go ahead as I don't use the Gap/Barclay card, they seem very disorganized with extreme rudeness, I will not be using this card after reading everyone's reviews here, and look forward Barclay cancelling my card, this is really poor service, and I take this as a sign from the universe to not move forward with the balance transfer, as this bank cannot be trusted. Thank you God - Just a disgrace to the banking industry.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I've used Barclay card to finance a few Apple products over the last several years. The zero interest financing was appealing and I paid it off each time, long before the due date. I didn't encounter trouble until 2021 when Apple started auto charging random small purchases to my card, monthly, which, unbeknownst to me, added compounding interest. Eventually this showed up as a late payment. While I thought my account had been paid off for over one year, these $3/mo charges ended up reducing my credit score by 100 points! I appealed to Barclay in writing and they refused to correct the credit bureau report. They are NOT to be trusted.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

We never asked for the Barclays AARP Credit Card. It has been nothing but trouble. Started out by sending us emails about not being late with our payment; which has never happened. We then get an email stating our payment was late when all along it was in their office. The worst event was their taking two payments for one month from our bank and when we notified them of their mistake they charged us a $29.00 fee for the transaction! We still get emails about not being late with our payment. We have excellent credit and have never been late with any payment whatsoever. We had enough of this nonsense and closed out this card. One advice- do not use this card!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

This company are crooks. I made a 0% balance transfer in which they charged me a 3% fee. I didn’t notice they were charging me interest on my balance transfer until a couple months later. When I questioned it they told me the offer I took was for the same interest rate as my everyday purchased. I said really?! Then why did you charge me a 3% fee??? They would not credit back the fee or interest charges until I showed proof of the offer. Well how was I going to do that when they are the ones who get the cancelled checks?!? Very convenient. They are crooks. So I paid off the card and closed my account. Total crooks this company is. I don’t recommend Barclay or any of its officiates.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

“I have had a Barclays Mastercard for many years and have spent $10’s of thousands of dollars on it and I was always- always a good paying client. I have never made a dispute once about a payment until recently. I dealt with a very dishonest, manipulative website company to help me with a website for an e-commerce business I was opening. Long story short, the web company was very dishonest with me and forcefully persuaded me into buying in unnecessary add ons. I was well within the time frame to ask for a return as the warranty clearly reads before website is finished I can get full refund. My website was never completed! Well the web company keeps lying to Barclays and as much I have communicated and show evidence, Barclaycard sides with the web company.

I will be closing my Barclays credit card soon as they do not have the best interest of their credit card holder. It’s very sad that a company a Barclays can’t see through the dishonest side that lied and manipulated me and I explained this to Barclays. I also filed a separate complaint with AMX for a different refund and they are excellent customer service to their card members and stand behind their card members.”

Barclays Bank Company Information