3.8/5 (538 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Top Barclays Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juni...

I was recently married and while changing my last name, Barclays was the easiest, fastest card to do so with no hassle. I also appreciate they give me a monthly FICO score as I ha...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

What is Barclays Bank?

Barclays Bank is a British multinational investment bank and financial services company that specializes in retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, credit cards and wealth management. Barclays’ online banking services allow account holders to manage payments, check statements and transfer funds between accounts, and the mobile app lets customers check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.

Barclays rates and account options

Barclays Bank’s financial products include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards.

Barclays’ online savings accounts
Barclays’ savings accounts offer competitive rates with an annual percentage yield (APY) that starts around 0.40%. Through the Barclays savings account app, account holders get 24/7 online access to funds plus the ability to view statements and deposit and transfer money.
Barclays’ online CDs
You can select online certificates of deposit (CD) with terms that range from three to 60 months. Current Barclays 12-month CD rates start around 0.25% APY. You can open a series of CDs with varying maturity dates, which provides faster access to funds or limits monetary penalties should you choose to close the account.
Barclays’ credit cards
Barclays offers several credit card products, including cards in partnership with JetBlue and Wyndham. Barclays Bank’s credit cards feature a variety of benefits, including rewards points for travel and retail, entertainment perks and cashback programs. Barclaycard is a multinational credit card with extra benefits like purchase assurance and price protection.

Many of Barclays’ credit cards have an annual fee ranging from $0 to $499 depending on the card you choose. The company determines your interest rates based on your creditworthiness. Cardholders can pay bills, check balances and track transactions through the Barclaycard app, which is available through the Apple App Store or Google Play.

Barclays Bank FAQ

Does Barclays have checking accounts?
No, Barclays does not currently offer checking accounts. Barclays offers savings accounts, credit cards and certificates of deposit (CDs). However, the bank has plans to add a digital-only checking account feature in the future.
What is Barclaycard?
Barclaycard is a credit card issued by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Additional Barclaycard benefits include deferred financing, ID theft protection, fraud liability protection and the ability to check FICO credit score reports for free.
Is it hard to get approved for a Barclaycard?
The Barclaycard requires good to excellent credit. Applicants with a credit score above 700 will most likely be approved, and those with a score below 650 may qualify depending on their current income, existing debt and additional credit history.
Is Barclays Bank FDIC-insured?
Yes. Barclays Bank is a member of the FDIC, so all deposit accounts are insured up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
How much can I withdraw from my Barclays savings account?
The maximum amount you can withdraw from a Barclays savings account is $250,000 per transaction.
Where is Barclays Bank located?
Barclays Bank is headquartered in London, England, and has locations across Europe, Asia, Africa and the U.S. Barclays Bank currently has 11 branches in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, California, Washington, New York and Texas.

Is Barclays legit?

Barclays has low fees and good rates, making it a solid option for investors. With a 0.40% APY, it’s particularly ideal for customers looking for an online savings account. It also requires no minimum balances, so it’s great for small investors. Barclays also offers a decent rate for a year-long CD at 0.25%.

However, with few branches or ATMs currently in the U.S., it might not be a great choice for traditional transactional banking or money that moves around often. Although Barclays advertises 24/7 customer service, users can only speak with a live representative from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. Overall, Barclays is enticing for U.S. customers who are interested exclusively in savings and investments, but those looking for other services should look elsewhere.

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: May 11, 2022

This is the worst credit company I have ever dealt with. If you have a problem/dispute charge, you would only be tossed around "Customer Relations" team who barely speak English with no intention to help customers. It is obvious that those people are instructed not to do anything to help. Instead, they tell you they would call after investigation, and of course, you will never get a call. No matter what document you send to prove your claim, they just ignore. One of the team member told me they received all the documents but didn't even look at it. As a result, I lost $500 charged by a fraudulent handyman. Very bad, unethical company. I had more than one credit cards from Barclay but will cancel all.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I have been with Barclays since 2007. I needed a letter sent to my lender that was time sensitive saying my balance was at $0. I was told I needed to FAX an authorization form which takes 5 business days to process and then once they received it they would physically MAIL a piece of paper to my lender which took over even longer. I had called Citicards and Wells Fargo Credit Card before I reached out to Barclays and had absolutely NO ISSUE requesting this over the phone. I don't understand why in 2022 Barclays is still requiring me to write a physical letter to request for what I need.

What is the point of recording calls and verifying who I am with my birthday and last for social security if we are still operating like the 1990s??? As big of a company Barclays is they should be up to speed on how Citicard and Wells Fargo is doing to stay efficient in a DIGITAL WORLD. I am very dissatisfied and will probably cancel my credit card after this and not recommend Barclays to anyone else.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Filed a dispute about a missing refund for $5700. They held up my card for over 90 days investigating the wrong transaction. Agents are just note takers. You can't get any managers on the phone. Each agent told me something different about my status. They make you wait weeks and months for any updates. After they issue a resolve, whether right or wrong your case is closed. I have not been able to get my case re-opened, yet they keep asking me to write a request to reopen. I send letters and nothing. Now they are expecting me to make this huge minimum payment based on a balance that is in dispute. Nobody is helpful. All agents are overseas and all just reading a script to get you off the phone. Stay away from this company because if you ever have a dispute, good luck with getting your money. I'm still waiting on a resolve.

This company has made the errors, yet the customer has to suffer. I filed complaints. I requested my case to be escalated. I asked to speak with a manager who has some power. I spoke to billing. I spoke to customer service. NOBODY HAS ANY AUTHORITY TO DO ANYTHING. Their so-called "back office" doesn't even have a person you can talk to. All they say is we have have to take it through our process. Poor policy! I have been the perfect customer, never late and paying my bills on time for years and two Barclay Cards. They just lost a good customer!

Original review: March 31, 2022

Their NFL points card is a total scam. I have been saving my point since I started using the card. Now that I have over 80K in points and can get something I want. They removed all the memorabilia and autographed items. Now you can only donate your points or use them for LAST YEARs Superbowl. When I called they said they had no idea what happened... 5 months I waited. Now I get an email that says I will lose my point due to a chance over. This is a total scam. Pulling all my points as cash and will start using my regular Master Card.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I have had the card for a few years. I called and questioned the double interest charges. I was told I would have to pay off the balance of the transfer. Which I did, as well as my monthly payment. I received my monthly statement and again was charged a double interest fee after paying my transfer balance off. I called and received a run-around after requesting to speak with management. At the moment I am waiting for a callback, after spending an hour trying to settle this issue.

Original review: March 18, 2022

Very poor customer service. Do not waste your time, cannot understand customer service. Had an $8800 limit and overnight lowered to $500 with no notice. Had the card 7 years since 2014 paid off in full each month and never late including $7600 just 7 days ago. All they kept saying was I could call Transunion credit agency. No changes in income or payments just lowered. I would never use anything associated with Barclay card. I am completely confused on their actions.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I paid my card off on 2/2/22. Funds cleared my bank on 2/3/22. Barclays credit card claims that I still have the money, my bank hasn't cleared it. They also have not accurately reflected the payment, placing it on hold until 2/9/22. Of all of the credit cards I paid on 2/2/22, Barclays card is the ONLY ONE who claims not to have the funds, placed my payment on hold and has not posted the payment. This is not the first time this has happened. It is every time the card is paid in full.

Additionally, they record the conversation, but if you tell them you are recording on your end, they refuse to talk to you. Recording goes both ways and it makes me wonder why they don't want the consumer to record the conversation but they can. I believe they do in order to hide their poor business practices. My husband and I have had rude customer service in the past, so bad that he closed his card when the agent insulted me while we were on the phone and after today, I too, will be closing this card.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Got denied a Jet Blue Barclays Card. Too many inquiries? 1 in the past 2 years. My Mercury Card was formerly a Barclays Card and converted to Mercury. Not internet savvy, have to mail stuff. No thanks!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I started with them through an Apple Promotion and purchased an iPad Pro. Paid the account off and was saving my total credit allowance and my Apple Reward points to purchase the new iMac 27", when it becomes available. Approximately $6000.00. Without any notice, they cancelled my account, they said due to inactivity. I lost all my Apple Reward money and their cancellation took a heavy hit on my overall credit score. This is not a company who cares about their customers. Sorry I ever did business with them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I signed up for a Barclay's Choice Privileges card may years ago so I could take advantage of special deals through the Choice Hotels network of lodgings. Always paid the full amounts early on any balances. I just received a letter from Barclay's that they closed my account due to inactivity. I last used the card in March 2020 for $293.65. About that time we accelerated the Chinese Virus alarms and travel was curtailed. Now, less than 2 years later, they closed my account for no legitimate reason other than to save a few bytes on their computer system. It's not as if they send me any mail that costs them a tiny bit. And, their interest rates are exorbitant even though my credit rating is over 800! AVOID this company at all costs! It's their loss. They asked me to apply for a new card. **! I will never use them again. Even Walmart gave them the axe!

Barclays Bank Company Information