2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

BOTTOM LINE

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with excellent rates and no required minimum balances. Online account options are limited, but navigating the website or app is easy.

PROS

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

CONS

• Limited customer support
  • No ATM network

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Top Barclays Bank Reviews We Found

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial, if you can locate them, are helpful but more often than not, conspicuous by their absence.

I was recently married and while changing my last name, Barclays was the easiest, fastest card to do so with no hassle. I also appreciate they give me a monthly FICO score as I have been in the process of rebuilding my credit for the last 5 years. I appreciate the quick service and lack of red tape

What is Barclays Bank?

Barclays Bank is a British multinational investment bank and financial services company that specializes in retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, credit cards and wealth management. Barclays’ online banking services allow account holders to manage payments, check statements and transfer funds between accounts, and the Barclays mobile app lets customers check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.

Barclays account options

Barclays Bank’s financial products include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards.

Barclays’ online savings accounts
Barclays’ savings accounts offer competitive rates with an annual percentage yield (APY) that starts around 1.8%. Through the Barclays savings account app, account holders get 24/7 online access to funds plus the ability to view statements and deposit and transfer money.
Barclays’ online CDs
Consumers can select online certificates of deposit (CD) with terms that range from three months to 60 months. Current Barclays CD rates start around 0.35%. You can open a series of CDs with varying maturity dates, which provides faster access to funds or limits monetary penalties should the account holder choose to close the account.
Barclays’ credit cards
Barclays offers several credit card products, including cards in partnership with Uber and Wyndham. Barclays Bank credit cards feature a variety of benefits, including rewards points for travel and retail, entertainment perks and cash back programs. Barclaycard is a multinational credit card with extra benefits like purchase assurance and price protection. Cardholders can pay bills, check balances and track transactions through the Barclaycard app, which is available through the App Store or Google Play.

Barclays Bank FAQ

Does Barclays have checking accounts?
No, Barclays does not currently offer checking accounts. Barclays offers savings accounts, credit cards and certificates of deposits (CDs). However, the bank has plans to add a digital-only checking account feature in the future.
What is Barclaycard?
Barclaycard is a credit card issued by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Additional Barclaycard benefits include deferred financing, ID theft protection, fraud liability protection and the ability to check FICO credit score reports for free.
Is it hard to get approved for a Barclaycard?
The Barclaycard requires good to excellent credit. Applicants with a credit score above 700 will most likely be approved, and those with a score below 650 may qualify depending on their current income, existing debt and additional credit history.
Is Barclays Bank FDIC-insured?
Yes. Barclays Bank is a member of the FDIC, so all deposit accounts are insured up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
How much can I withdraw from my Barclays savings account?
The maximum amount you can withdrawal from a Barclays savings account is limited to $250,000 per transaction.
Where is Barclays Bank located?
Barclays Bank is headquartered in London, England, and has locations across Europe, Asia, Africa and America. In the U.S., Barclays Bank has branches in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and Texas.

Is Barclays a good bank?

Barclays Bank is a good bank for those with large, long-term savings goals or who want to establish and build an emergency fund. However, because it isn’t a full-service bank, customers who choose Barclays for their savings accounts will have to choose another bank for other banking needs, including checking products and services.

Barclays Bank Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2020

I bought a safety face mask due to COVID-19 on EBay and and pay $120.55 by using Barclays Credit Card on March 03. Right the same day when I received them I notice that they was not exactly the same item that I bought so decided to contact Ebay and make a request for return. Return were approved by the seller and printed return label provided by EBay and send it back to seller. Tracking number is showing delivery date on March 13. Seller refund me $12.05 instead $120.55. I call and follow a dispute on EBay, Barclays and until now they don’t even care about my money I paid. I am without the item and without my money. I follow complaint on BBB with all documentation to support my point. We will see what happen. In the mean time, I am looking for another CC company who can treat peoples fairly and not just look the dollar symbol.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I upgraded my Carnival Cruise and on the very same day Carnival cancelled our cruise. I called to dispute and reverse charge and they said they could not. I am now paying for a cruise that has been Xed.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I signed up for a Carnival Mastercard that is operated by Barclays Bank with the incentive of getting a $200 credit off my first bill. Even after sending documentation of the promised credit and having Carnival customer service get involved, Barclays refused to provided the credit. I spent hours on the phone with Barclays representatives - first they promised the credit would appear on my next bill, then they promised it would be given once I sent in my documentation, then saying there was nothing they could do. This company uses false advertising to get people to sign up and then has very poor customer service to resolve issues. I've cancelled my card!

Original review: May 12, 2020

I closed this credit card account last year and yet they continue to charge me an annual fee that I did not pay which caused my credit score to go down. I never got a single bill. They said it was not their fault which is not true. This bank sucks.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I applied for this card to transfer balances on high interest cards. It's good for that. However I perfectly and as my balance decreases Barclays drops my credit limit on the card to be just over my balance causing my credit score to plummet. Insanity. Avoid if you care about your credit report. This could prevent someone from being able to make a large purchase such as a home. Somehow I feel this is a violation of fair credit reporting practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: May 3, 2020

I disputed a clearly fraudulent charge on my account. I had to file with office of State Bank Commission just to get a response from them. After being on hold over two hours on phone, emailing and writing them and getting no response at all! After their review they sided with the fraudulent company who charged my account without permission and I received nothing whatsoever in return. This is clearly within the parameters of Barclays Cardmember Agreement to dispute charges and not be liable for them. They sent me an unsigned, no name letter saying they were finished with this claim. No appeal. No further process! I’ve complained to every government and other agencies I can find about Barclays and the fraud company. I do NOT see any way I am legally responsible for this fraud charge. What do I do now?

Original review: April 19, 2020

I purchased a very expensive family trip utilizing this credit card in August 2019 departing April 18th, 2020. With the Pandemic, I tried to cancel my trip through the agent I booked with who closed its doors and took my money with them. I filed with the credit card seeking reimbursement as that I did not get what I paid for and would assume protection. My initial claim was denied. I then filed a second claim due to a back injury with all appropriate documents from my primary care provider. As stated in their customer service brochure, this was covered and reimbursable. I now again have gotten denied and when I've attempted to reach customer service, they are not taking phone calls anymore. I highly would avoid use of this credit card. They appear to be able to change what is covered and not covered at their discretion leaving us customers holding a very large bill. Terrible credit card.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I was charged a NSF fee due to a returned payment on 3/10, unknown to me, Barclays resubmits payments if they do not clear first time around... Had I know, I would not have made a replacement payment on 3/9 which contrary to what their executive office rep states, did in fact clear as I have shown a bank screenshot showing so. The rep is so ignorant and or can't see past her own ego, she cannot comprehend if replacement payment was returned as she claims, the account would show past due which it does not and did not... I even showed a screenshot proving she is wrong, still will not waive fee which is a mere $15.00!!!

Further, the return of payment is pandemic related and she should be aware that failing to refund is possibly illegal, given the current situation we are all in. There is already a class action investigation into companies unwilling to offer payment assistance, fee waivers, extensions, etc. I can bet Barclays card will have either an investigation launched against them or even a class action lawsuit... Failing to waive the fee, I'll simply pay off the account less the $15.00, I doubt any collection agency will attempt to collect on such a low amount. Even so, I'm sure any collection agency will send account back to creditor once explained the fee is questionable and pandemic related. This executive office rep, Lashanda **, should be fired.

Original review: April 17, 2020

For the fourth month in the past six, Barclay has been unable to post my monthly payment to my Mastercard account. I do not carry a balance and pay my account balance in full each month. However, due to their incompetence I keep needing to spend my time trying to speak with somebody at their call center -- I'm aware of the pandemic but other national and international firms seem to not have a problem. They take over a week to answer messages left on their website, as well. I am cancelling my card as soon as they straighten this out and have expressed my concern with American Airlines and am so frustrated that I'm considering moving all of my travel needs to United.

Original review: April 14, 2020

I was informed yesterday that credit limit was reduced because I currently have high CC debt and my score is now 690 as a result of it. However I own multiple businesses and travel frequently which I use my cards for. I generally pay bills weeks before due date and always more than minimum. I have never paid the bill late nor have I asked anyone to wait on a payment - even in our current situation. In fact I moved funds out of my savings to ensure all bills were met in a timely manner. Furthermore in view of the current state of affairs they should be helping their customers not adding to their hardships. This is NOT a company that cares for their customers or has their backs in a time of need. It's no different than a utility disconnecting service in the middle of a disaster. No longer a fan!

Barclays Bank Company Information