Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.7/5 (278 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Top Barclays Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juni...

I was recently married and while changing my last name, Barclays was the easiest, fastest card to do so with no hassle. I also appreciate they give me a monthly FICO score as I ha...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

What is Barclays Bank?

Barclays Bank is a British multinational investment bank and financial services company that specializes in retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, credit cards and wealth management. Barclays’ online banking services allow account holders to manage payments, check statements and transfer funds between accounts, and the mobile app lets customers check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.

Barclays rates and account options

Barclays Bank’s financial products include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards.

Barclays’ online savings accounts
Barclays’ savings accounts offer competitive rates with an annual percentage yield (APY) that starts around 0.40%. Through the Barclays savings account app, account holders get 24/7 online access to funds plus the ability to view statements and deposit and transfer money.
Barclays’ online CDs
You can select online certificates of deposit (CD) with terms that range from three to 60 months. Current Barclays 12-month CD rates start around 0.25% APY. You can open a series of CDs with varying maturity dates, which provides faster access to funds or limits monetary penalties should you choose to close the account.
Barclays’ credit cards
Barclays offers several credit card products, including cards in partnership with JetBlue and Wyndham. Barclays Bank’s credit cards feature a variety of benefits, including rewards points for travel and retail, entertainment perks and cashback programs. Barclaycard is a multinational credit card with extra benefits like purchase assurance and price protection.

Many of Barclays’ credit cards have an annual fee ranging from $0 to $499 depending on the card you choose. The company determines your interest rates based on your creditworthiness. Cardholders can pay bills, check balances and track transactions through the Barclaycard app, which is available through the Apple App Store or Google Play.

Barclays Bank FAQ

Does Barclays have checking accounts?
No, Barclays does not currently offer checking accounts. Barclays offers savings accounts, credit cards and certificates of deposit (CDs). However, the bank has plans to add a digital-only checking account feature in the future.
What is Barclaycard?
Barclaycard is a credit card issued by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Additional Barclaycard benefits include deferred financing, ID theft protection, fraud liability protection and the ability to check FICO credit score reports for free.
Is it hard to get approved for a Barclaycard?
The Barclaycard requires good to excellent credit. Applicants with a credit score above 700 will most likely be approved, and those with a score below 650 may qualify depending on their current income, existing debt and additional credit history.
Is Barclays Bank FDIC-insured?
Yes. Barclays Bank is a member of the FDIC, so all deposit accounts are insured up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
How much can I withdraw from my Barclays savings account?
The maximum amount you can withdraw from a Barclays savings account is $250,000 per transaction.
Where is Barclays Bank located?
Barclays Bank is headquartered in London, England, and has locations across Europe, Asia, Africa and the U.S. Barclays Bank currently has 11 branches in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, California, Washington, New York and Texas.

Is Barclays legit?

Barclays has low fees and good rates, making it a solid option for investors. With a 0.40% APY, it’s particularly ideal for customers looking for an online savings account. It also requires no minimum balances, so it’s great for small investors. Barclays also offers a decent rate for a year-long CD at 0.25%.

However, with few branches or ATMs currently in the U.S., it might not be a great choice for traditional transactional banking or money that moves around often. Although Barclays advertises 24/7 customer service, users can only speak with a live representative from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. Overall, Barclays is enticing for U.S. customers who are interested exclusively in savings and investments, but those looking for other services should look elsewhere.

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: April 27, 2021

I am an inveterate global traveler and a no-foreign-transaction-fee credit card provides great advantage. Barclays Uber card is additionally no-fee and gives cash back I can use for Uber trips, which comes in handy now that I am in Ecuador. I had a Capital One card before which has similar features except that I had an issue with a merchant which to-date remains unresolved.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Overall rates are comparable. Linked to American Airlines with good communication between both. There has been good communication when I have called with questions or requests. Good communication between the two. Have had very good communication between the bank and myself with things.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

They gave me a break on an interest payment during Covid-19 when I was having trouble getting a big refund from a cruise company. I appreciated that. Their website is very consumer friendly and I pay no international banking fees when I use it abroad.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I had fraudulent charges on my credit card. So I followed instructions on the back of my card statement and reported the fraudulent charges in writing in January 2021. I then got a new card statement with late fees and interest charges in February. I would call to get a status on the fraud and the call representative did not speak English well. She did not understand me, I did not understand her, so she just hung up on me. I called back and was put on hold and then the call hung up. I kept writing to the Investigations Department because I could not get ahold of anyone via the phone. I called again and was told it was being taken care. Then another statement would arrive with more late fees and charges. So basically I was lied to as well. I don't recommend this bank to ANYONE. It has been almost 6 months of HELL dealing with them.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I have had this card for 6 years. I pay more than is due monthly. Today I received a letter that because the balance was too high they lowered my credit limit by OVER $1,000. They said my credit score was too low. Well DUH!!! I just bought a $30,000 car!!! These people don't care about the customer at all. A good paying customer is now gone. STEER CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: April 24, 2021

Once again the banks are the real enemies of the people. We all are distracted, but they keep doing what they want. I have one late payment in the middle of the pandemic's chaos (05/2020) and have tried to remove it, with no luck. I even paid my card in full. It seems that the people who work there, are computers. It's amazing how they keep getting away with it, even with the Cares Act! Thank in the new world of cryptocurrencies they have no place!!

Original review: April 11, 2021

So we signed up to get hotel credits and everything was fine until we needed to do a chargeback on a unauthorized charge. Barclays Bank (who barely speak English) first refused stating it was a signed for charge which it was not, then refused stating that the company was not a recognized company??? We went ahead and just paid it.

Then some months later out of the blue with no charges a charge appeared and when we called in they stated "interest charge" but how do you have interest on a account that was paid in full with no charges? After fighting with them and the fact they kept doctoring documents we cancelled the card. Now they have hit our credit report with derogatory remarks, checking out credit etc. and has lowered our credit score by 85 points!! How are they able to get away with fraud and lies like this!

Original review: March 31, 2021

This is the worst bank to have a credit card account. In this difficult times they lower your credit line and increase your interests and when you call customer service they tell you there is nothing to do. I have never had a late payment and I always paid more than the minimum payment. I don't recommend this credit card to anyone!!! Be careful!!! As soon as I pay it I will cancel it and straight to trash.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I received a letter from Barclays that they were going to cancel my card due to non usage. Due to COVID I have chosen to no longer use any of my credit cards. I’m just trying to keep my bills down. After 30 days of no usage they automatically closed my account. Keep in mind I have had this card for years. Always made my payments on time and paid off my card when my funds were available. Shouldn’t there be a law that credit cards can’t bully you into spending money that you don’t have OR is this what they bank on. I am truly disappointed in this company as again had been with them for years. Someone should investigate this company’s practices. I have a few more credit cards and have never had this issue with any other creditors try to bully me into spending money I don’t have.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Barclays proved to be a very transactional bank/customer service. In contrast to other cards I continue to carry Barlclays proved only interested in gotcha fees. Lesson learned. Bank here as a last resort.

Barclays Bank Company Information