Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.61/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

719 Barclays Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

Have been a client of Barclays Bank Visa Priceline for 10 years with good service. Starting in January 2019 the bank is experiencing severe internal issues resulting in duplicate charges on my statement. Barclays never brought it to my attention and I discovered it while reconciling my statement. They tried blaming the Merchants and performed disputes against the Merchants resulting in past due and late charges to me. Barclays finally admitted to internal problems. The issue continued as the credit and refills created more charge backs to Merchant. When you call you are sent to a Dispute Department that is outside of the USA and this department does not have ability to revered Barclays Bank systems in Delaware which results in communication issues and confusion. Managers never called back and you have to wait 90 minutes to speak with a Manager that tells you the problem will be corrected in 7-10 days.

6 months later and 15 documented recorded calls it was. This is a public company and regulated by a federal consumer agency. Also filed a complaint with the BBB in Delaware. The are listed as an A rating by BBB but need to have rating adjusted as the complaints are considerable. Do not do business with a Visa that Barclays Bank handles. If you have one monitor closely as errors will not be fixed.

Original review: July 17, 2019

First of all, I applied for this card but did not the issuer was Barclays Bank! First time I tried to used to purchase a ticket on JetBlue. I was duped to believe I was talking to JetBlue, but turns out I was speaking with a crooked online site. They did processed the charges for the ticket and another charge I was not aware of. Once I found out, I called JetBlue to dispute it, and they said I had to call the Barclays. Only to hear that "Madam, you did give them your credit card information", yes I did because I was lead to believe I was speaking with JetBlue reservation center. I had to insist for her to at least try to get the unauthorized charge disputed, just got a letter saying they could not help me.

** I am their client and they cannot help me? I am telling them it was a FRAUDULENT charge and they CANNOT help me?? Run the other way if you are applying for a credit card and the issuer is Barclays bank. They suck in customer service and fail to deliver the minimum! Anyways, I will pay the balance on my charge... The rest they will have to go after the merchant! ** Will never use it again and will review both (Barclays Bank and JETBLUE Airlines) in every platform available! Sol.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2019

DON'T USE THEM! No matter how hard you try to pay them off, they keep reducing my credit line. Always pay them way more than minimum payment and pay them early, have had them for at least 8 years!! Never been late on my payments!! Then they reduce my credit line and no notification, until it's done and 3 weeks out!! Worst credit card I've ever had. Now I'm going to get rid of them! DON'T RECOMMEND THEM!! And see from others that they do this stuff to many people!! No loyalty in this company!!!! Stay Away!! You will eventually have the same experience!!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

I made an agreement with the bank to make monthly payments. Someone had run the $5,000 limit on my card and the bank could not tell me who. $48 a month til the balance was paid off at 5% interest. Payment due the first of every month as I don't get Social Security until the 4th Wed of every month. Come Nov 2017 the bank decided to revert back to the old due date which of course would make me late every month... That's why when I set up this payment plan I advised them I could not make payments on that due date and we agreed upon the first of each month. I paid $48 and they claimed I was late again in Dec, again in Jan. I thought this is now going to be $96 a month, not $48 as agreed upon. I continued making faithful $48 payments each 4th Wed of every month. Almost a year and a half later Barclay now decides to terminate that agreement, raised my percentage rate from 5% to 27.49%. Banks do not seem like good paying customers!

Original review: June 24, 2019

Do not get this credit card. I authorized a charge for Freeway Insurance for a buddy of mine. Freeway Insurance charged my card again several weeks later in a fraudulent transaction. I attempted to have the charge reversed but Barclays said that the merchant can make subsequent charges without my authorization and they can do nothing about it. Do not do business with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: June 22, 2019

I went to pay my bill (early) & had an old bank account on file & as well as my new one I did not realize & when I paid it took from the old one, my bank informed me and then I called Barclays credit card services. He said made me believe no problem that there was no bank fee yet and he would credit it back and make notation of that. And because I transferred money into the old account quickly so that it did cover and it did the second time I also made another payment from another account just to make sure they were fine so I doubled up payments. When I called back after getting paid return bank fee, they said, "We can’t do anything about it."

I called back to talk to management because I said, "The first gentleman I spoke to said that he would make notation of all of that and what I did, and told me if I did see a charge to call you." They made me feel like I was trying to get something for free, and just treated me very poorly. I wasn’t asking for anything just what he had talk to me about, so after all of that within a few days they decreased my credit line! After I called and complained, I Have been a customer for years!! Many many years, credit history of 25 years!

It’s crazy to me that all this happened and just very very disappointed. Very sad because I was just trying to make sure everything was good and to my account would stay in good standing once I knew what happened accidentally and quickly went into action to fix this immediately. So they did get two payments. Both accounts cleared and they decreased my credit line when I had called to complain. Sad & crazy. Sad Because I’ve been a fantastic customer!! Crazy how Much nobody cared.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Barclays decreases your credit limit to below whatever your balance with them is, damaging your credit, because they will report to the Bureaus that you are over the credit limit usage with them. Did that make sense? Your balance is $3000, your credit limit is $3200... They review your account, lower your limit to 2800 making it seem like you've gone over the limit they granted you. Not only does this damage your credit rating but they also get to increase the interest rate on you due to your over-the-limit status with them. They make this change based on your accounts with other creditors. It's not even based on your relationship with them. Even if you have all your payments on time, they will continue to do the above, time after time, based on your credit usage with other creditors, even if your other accounts are in good standing. Wrong. Run away from this Barclays.

Original review: June 17, 2019

When my debit card was expired a year ago, I was expecting to receive a new one. However, it never arrived to my address. I thought it happened because they messed up with my address since I moved from UK, even though I reported my new address before moving there. Then I talked to help desk, they suggested me to file some documents and send it to them. However, even though I sent them exactly the what they suggested, they rejected. Then I called help desk again, they suggested to send them another extra document, so I did. Few weeks later a lady called me to authenticate my identity. After they understood the situation they said they’ll send me a new card to my US address. However, the card never arrived.

Then I called them again and the guy who took the phone explained that my card might have been missing at some point. So he said he’ll send me an another card but it’s never arrived too. If anybody in Barclays see this post, you need to contact me immediately. This is a serious problem. I’ve been calling you multiple times but none of them helped my situation. I asked the last guy what if I still didn’t get my card? Then he said “call us.” THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING BUT NONE OF THEM WORK!!!! Seriously, if you have choice, never choose this company. They’ll ** up and I don’t even know if my money and account still exists.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have applied for a Barclays credit card from an invitation I received. With a credit score of over 800 and a member of Amex Platinum for over 20 years

I have Applied for the card online and received a message instantly that they will let me know the decision in a mail. Received a mail after two weeks asking to mail copy of SSN, Driver's License and utility bill. The mailing address is a PO Box and there were no Phone Number on the letter. Reading all the horrible reviews here made me feel lucky not to get the card approved right away when I applied. Who on Earth will mail their SSN, Driver's license and a utility bill to a PO box?

Original review: May 23, 2019

Barclays Bank said, if apply a new card and will get $100 credits back after first purchase. They cheat customer and don’t return $100 back. When I received a new card and called for activation, the customer service asked too many stupid questions make you can’t answer their questions. On the phone about 30 minutes with them. They make you give up then they said fail. They close out my card, so can’t purchase anything to get $100 credit back. They said, if I want an active that card, I have to Submit many many documents to them. They make you more complicates and make you give up to get $100 credit back. They are super cheater and liar. You will regret If you apply a Barclays Bank Card. If they have 0 star I’ll give them zero star instead 1 star.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Over 30 minutes on the phone. Customer service person pleasant but knew NOTHING and gave me WRONG info on Jet Blue upgrade. Asked over and over for Mngr. Finally, one came to phone. Manager was belligerent, "sorry", she gave that info. Took NO RESPONSIBILITY. Lousy service and took over 30 minutes with no resolution as to why I was not approved for email promo for Plus card. I have excellent credit and credit standing. Zero confidence with them. Beware.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I recently was in China and made two purchases using this credit card. The conversation rate on those two dates was 6.6 yuan to the dollar. The credit card company/bank converted the amount at a 6.2 conversion rate on an amount of $9670.00 thereby securing a profit/fee of $422.58 and billing me $10,092.58 on my statement. That is a little over 4% profit. This company claims they charge no international fees to use their card. BEWARE!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I had to move to another country and left my savings account with Barclays open in case I returned to the country. Had I known how horrible Barclays telephone banking was I would have never left my account open. Apparently the account I had didn't have an option for internet banking so I got stuck having to phone their international line anytime I needed something or some information. I don't know their hiring procedures but I never spoke to a native born, not once in all the years I've dealt with the bank (since 2013). I'm a foreigner, so I understand learning a second language but when it comes to things as important as someone access to their money, you better hire people that can communicate clearly and that has never been the case.

When setting up my telephone banking the person on the other line messed up my mother's maiden name and ever since then I have had huge issues trying to even access my bank account information, all because the operator had trouble understanding what I told them and putting the wrong information down. Why am I expected to deal with the consequences of their mistake and inability to comprehand basic English?! It's ridiculous. It's been so bad that I have ignored the account for years, except to pay the tax on it in my resident country.

Finally after years of dealing with this I have called to inquire about closing the account since it's never used and to stop finally paying taxes on it, when I called the number I went through this mess all over again only to be told that the info I have given about myself doesn't match their records and I failed their security check and the only way to pass the security check now is to actually physically go to the home branch and present them with a valid ID. The ticket alone will cost me more than the account is worth, it's so stupid it's actually laughable.

I will go to the branch when I can, and I will make sure to put in a written complaint to the company for their ineptitude, and I will continue to tell everyone never to bank with this company because they don't care about their clients at all. If they cared about security as much as they pretend to, they would make sure their telephone staff could understand and write English so that they don't make mistakes that the customer has to pay for later. Ridiculous. Not once did I have a good experience with their telephone banking service, not one single time did I hang up that phone in any other feeling besides exasperation.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I owned this card for 20+ years. It was originally through Bank of America. When it was moved over to Barclays, my 4.5% fixed rate became variable without ANY notification. It was not until I noticed my percentage rate creeping up over time that I even caught this. Barclays was NEVER able to produce documentation as to why my fixed rate was switched to a variable rate proving I was never notified of it happening, but they could tell me when it happened. This is illegal and fraudulent activity on the bank's behalf. If done to me, how many others? In addition, they were making more and more interest on money that was originally borrowed on a fixed rate.

My husband still has his original credit card with Bank of America AND at a fixed percentage rate. I have contacted the bank, BBB, The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and legal agencies about this but was unsuccessful. I paid off the FULL balance early and closed the account and was billed $4.74 today! Are you kidding me? So if I were to have paid that off in full, would I get another bill in one month for $0.47? I called customer service, wasting more of my time with this bank, and got the amount removed. DO NOT do anything with this bank! Beware! They will scam you, rip you off, nickel and dime you, and waste hours of your time when you attempt to rectify it on the phone! I’m so glad I cancelled my account.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Please please AVOID THIS CARD!!!! It is the worst card I have ever owned. Their customer service is awful. They do not speak good English and they do not understand your questions. I had my monthly payments drafted each month from my bank account but they still charged me with late payments because they did not process the account properly on their end. They had problems with their program and charged my bank account over $9,000.00 and cost my bank account to be locked up (all because of their error).

The worst part of all: They caused my credit score to drop by 100 points all because of their errors. My credit has always been above average and a very high score. I am in process of trying to appeal to the credit bureaus to correct the damage they did to my credit. AGAIN THIS IS A DANGEROUS CARD AND THE PEOPLE WHO RUN CUSTOMER SERVICE DO NOT SPEAK UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH!! Avoid this card at all cost!!!

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have 4 credict cards from different companies... The 3 others they have been increasing their loan amount that started at $ 1000 because I'm a good payer and they have all increased to $ 6000... barclays is still $1000... but the worst thing that bothers me is that the website constantly is not available,,, phone numbers of the company for customer service do not work.... no one answers... I do not want this card anymore fake company... I will close it as soon as I'll can communicate with this crap company.... fa

Original review: May 5, 2019

I received a replacement card and called Customer Service to activate. I got a recording telling me Customer Service was too busy, call back in 3 hours. Enough said. I have decided to cancel the account and shred the card.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I stopped using my card in April 2013 and have made a payment of ~$70 every month for 6 years on an original debt of $2,700. I have paid them almost $5,000 in 6 years and only $600 has been applied to my account. My current balance 6 years later is $2,089. They have charged me ~$4,300 in interest in 6 years on an original debt of $2,700. At this rate, I will pay it off in another 21 years and pay them over $22,000. Customer service was useless. I have filed a complaint with the CFPB. They will not get one more dime from me. SHAME ON BARCLAYS CARD! SHAME!!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I regret applying their Uber Visa card although the cashback rate seemed good. When activating card, they locked my card and asked me to provide docs to prove my identity. But after I sent to them, they kept claiming one of the pages in the fax is missing. I sent again and great - another page missed this time. I had to keep this whole circle for almost 3 months, because I didn't want to ruin my credit by closing it immediately. The other issue is their "$50 digital credit". In the terms, it is vivid that Amazon Prime membership is eligible to get the rebate after you spend 5k in the whole year. But when I purchased the 3-month Prime membership for myself, their system refused to issue the credit. I had to contact them and fax again the proof. Ridiculously, they told me even with what I provided, they will not issue the credit without a reason, except saying this is not eligible. Please do think twice before applying any card with Barclaycard.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I never been late with Barclays then Mercury brought Barclays and that’s when all hell broke lose. This is the worst company I’ve ever dealt with. Very unorganized & inexperienced representatives. I now have a 30 day past due on my credit report after numerous of calls verifying if I owed any past dues due from transferring my account to credit counselor. Please do not do business with them!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I’ve had a Barclays credit card for over 3 years. I have never been late paying my bill and have a 100% on-time payment history with ALL of my creditors. About two years ago Barclays increased my credit line. Then about a year ago they decided to decrease my credit line which caused my credit score to drop significantly. Today, I received a letter in the mail from Barclays that said they reviewed my credit report and decided to decrease my credit line once again! I expect my credit score will drop, once again! First of all, I didn’t ask them to review my file and I didn’t ask them for an increase in my credit line! I have ALWAYS made my payments before the due date and maintain a 100% on time payments to keep my credit score up. Why pay them on time if they’re going to keep decreasing my credit line. My credit score will be affected regardless if I pay them on time or not. I would not recommend getting any credit card from Barclays!!!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I have an excellent history with them with 100% payments. Requested a simple increase for a balance transfer and they denied me and hit me with a hard inquiry on my report. Most companies don't hit your credit report especially with a hard inquiry.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I was able to accumulate points worth almost $2,000. I never used the points for cash, but for NFL experiences. Then one day out of the blue, Barclays Card canceled my card for no good reason. I was never late and never over my limit. They said I violated the terms of the agreement, and stole my remaining points. I begged them to just give me the points for cash, but they constantly refused. I said, "You can keep your card, but I earned the points..." They basically said, "I don't care. We are taking the points and screw you." What a terrible company.

Original review: March 31, 2019

First, they inundate me with email and mailing requests to move to a more expensive JetBlue Plus card. When I called to inquire about it, I was told that "there is no current promotion" to move me to the card. I would need to apply for a new card! Seriously?? I am an existing Barclays JetBlue cardholder and I have to apply for a whole new card if I want to move to another Barclays JetBlue card and pay more? But I wouldn't have to apply if a "promotion" were available, which they said wasn't and wouldn't offer it. Well then when keep sending me all the requests? The customer service was truly terrible. Was fine when I just needed to pay the bill, but as soon as I spoke to them - on an offer they sent me - I got so angry at how non-nonsensically they responded that I am looking for a new card.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I had a Barclay Priceline Visa Signature card which I occasionally use for many years, among many other credits cards. I am also the top 1% credit rated consumer. As I am getting older and sometimes forgetful, I learned the risk of caring all my credit cards in my possession all the time, so I only carry a few in my wallet and put away the less frequently used cards. I tended to rotate the use of the less used cards if I remember.

Recently, maybe a couple months ago, I received a letter from Barclay Priceline Visa card that threatened to close my account due to inactivity. I searched and dig out my card in this matter and give them a call. They issued a new card. Upon getting my new card and I called to activate. I intended to use it later to keep my rewards points, but somehow I forget where I put it. Yesterday I received my last statement and also another separate letter from Barclay informing my Visa Card account is closed due to inactivity.

In it it also stated that for redemption of the rewards points earned, I need to call the phone number on the back of the Barclay Visa Card, (which I misplaced) no phone number was given on the letter. (clue 1) I searched on the internet for their customer service number, on their statement page only a payment phone number was given (clue 2). I called the toll-free number that I found online and gone through the automatic hoops, I was told no such account info was found. Finally I got to speak to a real person and going through the same verifying info hoops again, I tried to redeem my rewards point of 1267, which was equivalent to $12.67. The rep on the other end apologized and told me I could not redeem my reward points earned due to their policy of an arbitrary imposed minimum 2500 points policy.

For their closing my account, I restated my reasons for card inactivity and I protested that I should not be punished and be robbed of my rewards earned, if 1000 other people were cancelled of their account, each person carrying a $12.67 reward credit, that could equal to $12,670. God knows how many people that they cancelled and closed their account, each with an existing rewards credits. This could amounts to millions that Barclay defraud from their customers that they unilaterally cancelled and closed accounts. This is a very serious and systematic orchestrated attempt to defraud their customers.

During my search of Barclay’s number, I also came upon several links of Apples rewards Points complaints that were also tied to Barclay Visa cards. I hope some Attorney General or any attorney reading this would help to organize and initiate an investigation of these fraudulent activities committed by Barclay in defrauding their customers, and help start a class action suit.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I acquired a Barclays card in 2015 via Apple! I started with an 800$ limit which increased over the years to $3000 and I applied for another card which had a $4,000 limit. I maintained both cards with no late or missed payment and in 2017 I paid both cards off and suddenly a few months later one of my accounts was sold to Mercury along with many other customers! They sold one account and kept the other??? and the final payment I made was never credited by Barclays...so when the sale of accounts went through many customers were showing a missed payment! And when I contacted them no one could provide any assistance since the account was sold!!!

I have my proof of payment.. luckily it hasn’t been an issue and so far I haven’t had any issues with Mercury! About 5 months ago Barclays decided to lower my limit on the card I paid off and used again for no reason.. I absolutely do not recommend anyone sign up with Barclays with these tactics of selling accounts and lowering balances. They must be having some kinda financial trouble!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have been trying to simply change what account my automatic payments are taken from. I went online, it said to do it by phone. I called, spent an hour with them telling me it couldn't be done online. Went back online, sent secure message, they wrote back saying call... I called, they said it has to be done online. This bank is a disaster, they don't know what they are doing, people are nice, but have no ability to do anything, even the supervisors.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have been a customer with Barclays for many years...always pay on time, always pay more than the minimum. Now for the 2nd time in 7 months they have lowered my limit!! This makes it look like my card is maxed out and negatively affects my credit score... Is this even legal? As soon as I pay it down, they lower my credit!!! Do yourself a favor and don’t even apply with them!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I applied for a card with a 825 credit score and no debt and was not approved and was told it would take about 30 days for review. Forget it. I'll go somewhere else that doesn't jack you around. It is almost impossible to get a live person... and when you do they are rude!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have had a MasterCard with them for over 2 years. I have excellent credit, paid every one of my payments on time, then all the sudden they lowered my credit card limit in half. They stated that my balances on other accounts was too high. This happens right after I was furloughed as federal government employee. Their lending practices are discriminatory and unfair. Now it looks like I max out my credit card. Do not use or apply for Barclays US cards.

Barclays Bank Company Information