3.7/5 (480 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Top Barclays Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juni...

I was recently married and while changing my last name, Barclays was the easiest, fastest card to do so with no hassle. I also appreciate they give me a monthly FICO score as I ha...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

What is Barclays Bank?

Barclays Bank is a British multinational investment bank and financial services company that specializes in retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, credit cards and wealth management. Barclays’ online banking services allow account holders to manage payments, check statements and transfer funds between accounts, and the mobile app lets customers check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.

Barclays rates and account options

Barclays Bank’s financial products include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards.

Barclays’ online savings accounts
Barclays’ savings accounts offer competitive rates with an annual percentage yield (APY) that starts around 0.40%. Through the Barclays savings account app, account holders get 24/7 online access to funds plus the ability to view statements and deposit and transfer money.
Barclays’ online CDs
You can select online certificates of deposit (CD) with terms that range from three to 60 months. Current Barclays 12-month CD rates start around 0.25% APY. You can open a series of CDs with varying maturity dates, which provides faster access to funds or limits monetary penalties should you choose to close the account.
Barclays’ credit cards
Barclays offers several credit card products, including cards in partnership with JetBlue and Wyndham. Barclays Bank’s credit cards feature a variety of benefits, including rewards points for travel and retail, entertainment perks and cashback programs. Barclaycard is a multinational credit card with extra benefits like purchase assurance and price protection.

Many of Barclays’ credit cards have an annual fee ranging from $0 to $499 depending on the card you choose. The company determines your interest rates based on your creditworthiness. Cardholders can pay bills, check balances and track transactions through the Barclaycard app, which is available through the Apple App Store or Google Play.

Barclays Bank FAQ

Does Barclays have checking accounts?
No, Barclays does not currently offer checking accounts. Barclays offers savings accounts, credit cards and certificates of deposit (CDs). However, the bank has plans to add a digital-only checking account feature in the future.
What is Barclaycard?
Barclaycard is a credit card issued by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Additional Barclaycard benefits include deferred financing, ID theft protection, fraud liability protection and the ability to check FICO credit score reports for free.
Is it hard to get approved for a Barclaycard?
The Barclaycard requires good to excellent credit. Applicants with a credit score above 700 will most likely be approved, and those with a score below 650 may qualify depending on their current income, existing debt and additional credit history.
Is Barclays Bank FDIC-insured?
Yes. Barclays Bank is a member of the FDIC, so all deposit accounts are insured up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
How much can I withdraw from my Barclays savings account?
The maximum amount you can withdraw from a Barclays savings account is $250,000 per transaction.
Where is Barclays Bank located?
Barclays Bank is headquartered in London, England, and has locations across Europe, Asia, Africa and the U.S. Barclays Bank currently has 11 branches in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, California, Washington, New York and Texas.

Is Barclays legit?

Barclays has low fees and good rates, making it a solid option for investors. With a 0.40% APY, it’s particularly ideal for customers looking for an online savings account. It also requires no minimum balances, so it’s great for small investors. Barclays also offers a decent rate for a year-long CD at 0.25%.

However, with few branches or ATMs currently in the U.S., it might not be a great choice for traditional transactional banking or money that moves around often. Although Barclays advertises 24/7 customer service, users can only speak with a live representative from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. Overall, Barclays is enticing for U.S. customers who are interested exclusively in savings and investments, but those looking for other services should look elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

We tried to open a HYSA with Barclays submitting the initial application and documentation on August 8th. Here we are over a month later and the only communication I received was to tell me they needed one additional bill with my wife's name which I provided them over 3 weeks ago. I've called their customer service line several times in-between then and now and every time am given excuses that aren't true (claims of missing info, wife's maiden name instead of current name, etc).

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Been with Barclays for over 7 years. I couldn’t make a payment for my monthly bill and somehow the auto monthly payment didn’t go through. I had 15 dollars on the card and because there was a bug that turned off the auto pay a 15 dollar payment was missed. They reported me for being 30 days late and completely destroyed my credit in the middle of purchasing a house which I had to not purchase. Mind you I haven’t missed a payment on anything for over 20 years. Customer service was rude and treated me like trash! I made the 15 dollar payment and they ruined my family’s life! My son was born with a disability so we were buying a cheaper house because of all the medical bills and after 7 years of perfect payments a bug with their software ruined everything. BEWARE OF THIS CREDIT CARD COMPANY.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I have recently returned to Thailand after 7 months in the UK. Using my Barclay card in the same way for 5 years, I attempted to draw cash out, same as previous. My request was refused and card cancelled. I am unable to cover bills and pay for medication. Impossible to contact Barclays Bank as card cancelled. Barclays told me to contact local branch! They desperately need to review their policy. I am in a situation where contemplating what to do.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

We have had 10k worth of fraudulent charges on our credit card since Dec. 2020. All to a Chinese company. We have sent statements and paperwork multiple times. We haven't received any response. Still paying 21% on this balance since 2020. Wait on hold for hours at a time only to get transferred and hung up on.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Made my first payment to Barclays Cc company that took over Old Navy. Paid 300.00 and then they took another 300.00 the next day as well. They hit me with a late fee. My first ever late fee ever I called them and they said they’ll take the late fee off and it will show on my next statement, also they confirmed that the payment was taken out twice and would be back in my account within a few days. This transpired on or around July 23/24. I had never seen the return to original payment method.

Just called again August 3 and they decided to keep the extra payment they took and apply it to my August payment after going back and forth in the phone. They said they will process the refund and it will take 7 to 10 days to be shown in my end!!! I’ve been with old navy since 2019 with no problems no late fees or double dipping into my account… I’m going to tear this card up and figure out if there’s anyone that can stop Barclays from hurting the American people! A not so happy customer April.

Original review: July 29, 2022

An absolutely horrendous experience to have as a new customer trying to open a new account. Every single thing that you can think of is wrong with Barclays from quality of service, of products, timelines. My story: I downloaded the app to sign up for a new account. It said my address is not correct, I turned on my GPS while at the address, it said I was not at the address, they sent a PIN by mail after 3 days, entered, it then said it couldn't complete the process and forced me to go to the branch.

I then called multiple times to book appointments, got one a week later, they called back 2 days prior to say they are cancelling my appointment. I then call to lodge a complaint, they do not help me at all, hang up on me, judge me for wanting to open too many bank accounts. I now am completely stuck without any way to open an account. BARCLAYS is the worst bank in the UK.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Horrible Experience! I had a very bad experience with Barclaycard customer service. Barclaycard is not compatible with e-bill through many banks which I was not aware of until my bank mentioned it so they had charge me late fee and top of it they had charge me another $30 for cashing a check that I specifically told them not to since my bank will be charging a fee for it but they did it anyway and they were not willing to waive it. So I had to close the account/card. I don't think I would ever open another Old Navy credit card/ Barclaycard or any store credit card if they are with Barclaycard. As customers be careful when opening a card with Old Navy and if they have it through Barclaycard it's going to be very challenging to deal with them if you encounter any issues.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I'm here to warn future Barclays card customers about the terrible phone service. Poorly trained employees and a bank that does not comply with what is said over the phone. Balance over 3 months fighting with the bank for charging me that it's not mine, and I haven't used the card for over 8 months. I have called 3 times with the same request to block the card and they promise to remove the fee and data and change the card number…. and next month comes the double value! Absurd how banks are taking advantage of the lack of time customers have to get in touch, as it is difficult to speak to a representative. They are a bloodsucker!

Original review: July 21, 2022

If you make your payment on time and it doesn’t post for a few days, Barclays puts a hold on your account and charges a late fee. In addition, most importantly, Barclays will rate your credit report as late and without notice change your credit limit. Worst credit card in my 50 years of bank credit cards. I closed my account and I will encourage anyone to look at their reviews before applying for any of their credit cards.

Original review: July 20, 2022

The worst experience, dragged me around for 2 months apologizing and reinsuring me that everything is going to be resolved. Never received a phone call from them I had to always call and follow up, nothing was resolved. Do yourself a favor and avoid Barclays. Absolutely worst.

Barclays Bank Company Information