Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.29/5

BOTTOM LINE

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with excellent rates and no required minimum balances. Online account options are limited, but navigating the website or app is easy.

PROS

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

CONS

• Limited customer support
  • No ATM network

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Top Barclays Bank Reviews

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal ...

… They give me a monthly FICO score as I have been in the process of rebuilding my credit for the last 5 years. I appreciate the quick service and lack of red tape ...

What is Barclays Bank?

Barclays Bank is a British multinational investment bank and financial services company that specializes in retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, credit cards and wealth management. Barclays’ online banking services allow account holders to manage payments, check statements and transfer funds between accounts, and the Barclays mobile app lets customers check balances, freeze cards, earn rewards and transfer funds.

Barclays account options

Barclays Bank’s financial products include savings accounts, CDs and credit cards.

Barclays’ online savings accounts
Barclays’ savings accounts offer competitive rates with an annual percentage yield (APY) that starts around 1.8%. Through the Barclays savings account app, account holders get 24/7 online access to funds plus the ability to view statements and deposit and transfer money.
Barclays’ online CDs
Consumers can select online certificates of deposit (CD) with terms that range from three months to 60 months. Current Barclays CD rates start around 0.35%. You can open a series of CDs with varying maturity dates, which provides faster access to funds or limits monetary penalties should the account holder choose to close the account.
Barclays’ credit cards
Barclays offers several credit card products, including cards in partnership with Uber and Wyndham. Barclays Bank credit cards feature a variety of benefits, including rewards points for travel and retail, entertainment perks and cash back programs. Barclaycard is a multinational credit card with extra benefits like purchase assurance and price protection. Cardholders can pay bills, check balances and track transactions through the Barclaycard app, which is available through the App Store or Google Play.

Barclays Bank FAQ

Does Barclays have checking accounts?
No, Barclays does not currently offer checking accounts. Barclays offers savings accounts, credit cards and certificates of deposits (CDs). However, the bank has plans to add a digital-only checking account feature in the future.
What is Barclaycard?
Barclaycard is a credit card issued by Barclays Bank. The Barclaycard can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Additional Barclaycard benefits include deferred financing, ID theft protection, fraud liability protection and the ability to check FICO credit score reports for free.
Is it hard to get approved for a Barclaycard?
The Barclaycard requires good to excellent credit. Applicants with a credit score above 700 will most likely be approved, and those with a score below 650 may qualify depending on their current income, existing debt and additional credit history.
Is Barclays Bank FDIC-insured?
Yes. Barclays Bank is a member of the FDIC, so all deposit accounts are insured up to the maximum amount allowed by law.
How much can I withdraw from my Barclays savings account?
The maximum amount you can withdrawal from a Barclays savings account is limited to $250,000 per transaction.
Where is Barclays Bank located?
Barclays Bank is headquartered in London, England, and has locations across Europe, Asia, Africa and America. In the U.S., Barclays Bank has branches in Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and Texas.

Is Barclays a good bank?

Barclays Bank is a good bank for those with large, long-term savings goals or who want to establish and build an emergency fund. However, because it isn’t a full-service bank, customers who choose Barclays for their savings accounts will have to choose another bank for other banking needs, including checking products and services.

Barclays Bank Reviews

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I got this card to earn miles. I have multiple items that I charge to the account every month. I made a purchase and went into my account to find the charge had a temporary hold as usual. The next day went in a noticed the charge had been posted but the temporary charge was still there, but wasn't too concerned as I figured it just fall off by the end of the day. Few days later I went back into my account to find that the charge was still there and some of my regular charges had not been processed, causing fees. I contacted customer service and for 2 hours got the run around, from the temporary charges don't affect the available balance or it is the other company that put 2 charges in. Needless to say the other company did not put a hold or a double charge.

I finally got a manager and was told that their system randomly decides when and for how long it will leave a temporary charge on your account after they have posted it your account. So in other words they can choose to fraud you out of your money whenever they choose, by posting a your original charge and still hold a temporary charge against you. The manager told me that they have no contact with corporate, that they have to mail a hand written letter to corporate when they have a problem. Needless to say they could not calculate the total available balance correctly. They were sorry, but offered no compensation for the fees that I am charged because of their error. I am in the process of switching to a better company with better customer service and honesty. Hope I can find one.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I got credit card. The money inside is $1,500 from Barclays since 2017 and I been paying $55 monthly or more than that since 2017 until now and never use the card for 3 years. But I just noticed I checked my acct. everytime I checked nothing changed to the number. Still the same from $1,500 that I owed from credit card, now $$1,600 and never used the card for long. They closed it and where did my payment go? I feel like I got rip off. I even paid off or almost paid off my other credit cards but I noticed this Barclays getting my payment monthly and it's not deducted to what i owed?!! I kept paying and it did not reduced to what I owed???!!! Scary Barclays Bank making me shocked!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I disputed a charge for flowers for a friend's mother that pasted away. The flowers sent we not as described or pictured on vendor website. Sent pic of website and what was received. Barclay's supervisor agreed completely different. Vendor wrote back with 7 pages of their policy to not refund and Barclay's charged me back. In all my years I have never experienced a card that didnt go to bat for a customer. The Vendor never addressed the issue but wanted the dead flowers back. Never sign up for this card if at all possible.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I made a monthly payment online and it was put through twice. I called the next day and was told it should be refunded to me in 5-7 business days. I waited and was not provided a refund. I called back and was told it could take up to 21 days for them to "investigate"; this is a ridiculous amount of time to be out my own money for their mistake, especially since there was nothing to investigate - it clearly showed a double payment from the same transaction on my account on both ends. Yet, after 21 days I still did not receive my refund. So I called again, and after waiting 30 minutes on hold for customer service, I was told it was still pending and could be another week. I STILL have not received my money back.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My husband and I have had this card for a few years, originally with Barclaycard but now the company is called Mercury Mastercard. In November I made a purchase online but never received the product, and was promised a refund. It never came, so in December I tried to dispute the charge. The Mercury customer service representative said she would transfer me to the dispute department, but instead I was transferred to the customer service number of the company that wouldn't refund me. I waited a couple of weeks in case a refund showed up -- it didn't -- so I called back. This time the Mercury Mastercard service rep told me she couldn't talk to the wife on the card, it had to be the husband. Er, what? I have my own card, I have spoken with them before without problem, but this time they refused to talk to me.

I asked if there was any way this could be disputed online or in writing, because my husband works second shift and calling during normal business hours is often impossible for him. The Mercury service rep wouldn't even answer me. I have an account with them and they literally would not tell me how to dispute a charge I made on their credit card. Why? Because I'm "just the wife." That is a direct quote. I am still in a bit of shock about this, I don't think I've had anyone say anything like that to me since the 1990s and even then it was a very rude, old-fashioned thing to say.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I bought 2 phones from Apple for 2500 and apple employee asked me to open a Barclays card so I can get points. So I did and I received 50 points. And I was told it would interest free for a yr, thereafter regular interest charge will apply, however today after a year they charge me 900 in interest because I failed to read the fine print saying if you don't pay off the full amount in a yr you have to pay interest of full year. Long story short, stay with cards that you know, Cards from Barclaycard are total scam. STAY AWAY FROM BARCLAYCARD.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Barclay should get no stars. After applying for their card thru Apple.com (who said I would have 12 months interest free when I buy an Apple product, and I could easily apply online and get approved in an hour, which never happened. After complaining to apple, they told me I had to call Barclay to see what happened.

1. Barclay told me I had to fax them my driver's license, 1090 tax, and bank statement.

2. After faxing me the information, they told me that they couldn’t read my driver's license, even though I faxed them a large scan of my license at 8.5” x 11” of front and back.

3. After arguing with them, they finally sent the card to my home address. When I realized it had been longer than they said, I called them and they told me they left it on the porch at 8:30am. A ring video showed that they never arrived on the date of 15th of December. So they lied.

4. Then when I told them that I have a mailbox, why didn’t they put it in the mailbox, they told me it was FedEx’s problem.

5. When I told them to resend it, but to a business address as I didn't want them leaving it on the porch again, they proceeded to ask security questions relating to my past. There was so many questions, that I began to object. Then they sent me to talk to security and the security was even worse. After telling him I was in Mexico on vacation he put me on hold, proceeded to call my Kansas City address and then he accused me of fraud and hung up on me.

This ordeal was of almost 2 weeks long and I have no card and my credit has been spoiled as every time you apply for a credit card it is a mark against you when credit checks are done. I have excellent credit, no debt and I am not a criminal. But they sure make you feel like one.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Ridiculous payment hours make it nearly impossible to make payments “on time” if you don’t set up auto pay. You’re bound to have late fees because they don’t send out any reminders or notifications. If you set up auto pay they always take more than the limit you set. Here’s a screenshot of one late payment, my due date is the 5th of every month.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Exceptional credit score. Made payment online, no evidence, I did not get a verification number, I'm sure I'm the only one ever this has happened to. By the time I knew it did not really go through, 75 points on the credit score lost. 1 late payment 11 years, 20 plus accounts, probably 1,400 payments, 1 vendor says I did not pay over a 27.00 pay. No recourse, no fix, "sorry", mountaintop to pond scum in a day. I tried real hard to discuss with Barclays, they said call Transunion, damage done.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I truly hate this bank! When I got to about 40% of my credit limit, they reduced my limit to just above my balance, so the limit went from $7k to $3500. This made it appear to the credit bureaus that I had maxed out my card. At the time, my credit score was over 700 and my OVERALL balance-to-limit ratio was about 35%. I have never been late on a payment to any creditor and my income actually increased a couple months before Barclays did this. Plus, I always paid at least double the minimum. After inquiring and being told that basically, they would not reconsider, I started paying down the card with intention of cancelling the account. Lo and behold, After paying it down to half, they decreased my limit again, so yet again, it looks like the card is maxed out. Meanwhile, several of my other cards have increased my credit limits.

Needless to say, my credit score took another hit because of Barclays. This seems like a very unfair practice. I can understand that they want to safeguard against being burned, but it would be better to keep the credit limit the same and just block further charges so the consumer's score is not affected....especially if there has NEVER been a late payment and the card is not being used. At the very least, give a warning that if the card is not paid down, the limit will be decreased.

Barclays Bank Company Information