1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 25, 2018

644 Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 25, 2018

I contacted them in regards to fraud on my credit report by my brother and now they are trying to pin the fraud on me and their so-called investigator said they will make me pay for all my brother's charges.

Original review: April 8, 2018

They cut my available credit right after I paid it completely down. I've been with them for YEARS and have always been on time and paid more than what's due!!! Despite being a loyal customer, they refuse to increase my limit which does not help my score. I will keep this card ONLY to avoid hurting my credit score but if I could turn BACK the hands of time, I would throw their offer right in the TRASH!!! BARCLAYS SUCK BIG, BIG, BIG TIME!!! Consumer beware...

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2018

On 2/19/2018 I got my free credit report from TransUnion and under soft inquiries I saw Credit Shop and had no idea who they were. I called TransUnion and they said that Credit Shop was associated with one of my accounts. I called all my accounts and every account holder including Barclays card and everybody said they were not affiliated with Credit Shop. I got so angry I called Credit Shop. I spoke with Karen ** and she informed me that they bought 700,000 credit card accounts from Barclays in March 2017, and that customer service reps wouldn't know and I even spoke with supervisors who also didn't know. Karen ** at 877-203-7444 Opt #** told me that Barclays was servicing my account and they were receiving the money.

Karen ** said they wouldn't be notifying anyone until July 2018 and that their new Mercury card would be going out in September 2018. I woudn't take the word of Credit Shop when Barclays was saying my account wasn't sold. I called Barclays Bank Delaware headquartered in Wilmington, DE on 3/28/2018, Office of the President and was told my account was not sold by Tom. On 3/29/2018, I requested a letter from Barclays through the CFPB as to whether they sold my account or they didn't. I got a phone call from Nicole from this same office and she assured me that my account had not been sold.

On 3/30/2018, I spoke with Amy **, Team Manager, Office of the President, Phone number 866-750-6031 Ext **. Amy ** informed me that my account had been sold to Credit Shop in March of 2017. Barclays has made me look like a jackass for over a month. I made two complaints to the CFPB against TransUnion in one month, I have gone through the CFPB to get letters that my other creditors were not affiliated with Credit Shop, and got a police report. Barclays should be ashamed of themselves. If you find Credit Shop on your TransUnion credit report under Account Review Inquiries it means that Credit Shop had bought your Barclays credit card account in March 2017. There are approximately 700,000 accounts that have been sold and consumers that it affects don't know about it yet.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I closed my Barclays card because I had too many cards open and it affected my credit score which is in the 700s since I pay my cards off in full. When I closed my card, I was under the impression that I had a zero balance and cut up my card. There was a payment due from that month that I tried to pay off but then bounced due to the fact that I had fraud on my account and therefore my account was frozen. Here's the problem. Barclays didn't call me to resolve the problem once the 2 payments I tried to make bounced. Secondly, their system sets clients up for late fees by not zeroing out the balance prior to closing the account. There are too many cards with better service than Barclays card. Go with a card with better service, integrity and rewards.

Original review: March 16, 2018

For the last 3 months my Apple Rewards have been disappearing from my Barclay Visa account. Every time I call customer service they have not been able to provide any answers as to where my points have gone. I have called the "Office of the President" at Barclay Visa card and they are useless in providing any information. It is my belief that my Apple Rewards are being taken by someone on the inside of Barclay Visa.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This is the worst card I ever had. Waiting for a call from Lisa from their so called president’s office since forever. Card does not work abroad (even after informing them of travel), refused to give me copy of my statement, employees rude and disrespectful. Will cancel card. Also have several thousand charge a months and always pay it off at due date. Kept a reversal for 13 days until it was posted to my account. Borderline criminal.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I use this card for emergencies only. They have started charging a fifty cent "minimum purchase" WITHOUT MY CONSENT then hitting me with a $24/mon late fee for not paying the 50 cents on time! This is a scam and shouldn't be legal. IF they need to charge a maintenance fee on the card then do that -- but they are counting on no one noticing that 50 cent charge.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have an above 700 FICO, and I've had this account open for over 5 years and have never missed a payment or been late. My initial limit was 12k, and somehow they have managed to decrease my limit every couple of years. I received a message from my credit monitoring this weekend, 2/17/18, that my limit was decreased again from 5300 to 4800. My balances aren't high on my other cards, most of my CL are above 30k and yet these guys somehow seem to decrease me. I have NEVER had a credit limit after 5 years of perfect pay history. Incredible. And of course when I call in to have them review on Presidents Day, they discussed my whole account, but chose to tell me I needed to update my phone number with Experian "whom they don't pull btw in Texas" and until then they can't process the review. Don't use these guys and if you do, this is what you're in for.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

On Feb. 19, 2018, I used automated system like I have in the past make my husband’s credit card payment. I was not allowed to make the payment this time. Is this a new policy that a spouse cannot make the payment from our joint checking account? I have been doing this since day one but can no longer make the payment. This is just ridiculous!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Barclays is the worst banking company I have ever dealt with. In December I finally acquired my card after sending in a scanned copy of my social (not secure). In January Barclays withdrew my remaining balance of $2,884 on my new 15" Macbook Pro. The money withdrew from my checking account even though I had previously setup automatic recurring payments. My wife and I were perplexed as to why our checking account had suddenly dropped. We have a new mortgage, car, and other monthly payments and can't afford to just drop nearly $3,000 here and there.

Monthly payments would have worked fine, but Barclays withdrew the remaining balance. I called them this morning at 8:00 am MST and am still on hold at 8:45 am. It's been 45 minutes and I'm still waiting to talk to a relationship manager who probably won't do anything about the error. I'm going to close my account with Barclays and rip up their card ASAP. This is the worst customer service I've ever had in my life.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

In June of 2017 due to the hurricane I was left with a roof issue. I had a leak and contacted my insurance co. They sent people over that caused mold to grow throughout my house. I got so sick and was harmed. I am a disabled veteran. My house is a VA loan. I can’t live there due to the mold. Going on 4 mo I have had to live and pay somewhere else. I’m still paying my mortgage and bills. Both places. I’m not behind and I’ve never been late. Not on anything. It is getting to be too much. I have MS and autoimmune issues. I called Barclays and Melinda let me know she was sorry. They can’t help. They shut my card down a couple of months ago. I’ve never been late. I asked to please lower the rate from 25% down or make a plan or perhaps a payoff of something less. I offered 2000. On a 3000 Card. She said, “No sorry can’t help you.”

I have had a very hard time. I don’t want to lose my home and I’m waiting on mediation. Barclays was heartless. I asked for a letter stating what she told me. Basically no help no matter what. She would not provide it. She also would not give me a physical address to send certified letters to. Until I begged and after 15 min on hold. This company is horrible. I don’t want to not pay but I can’t crawl. My funds are depleted. I served my county and earned my loan and I’m afraid I’m going to lose everything. I just need some help. Not a handout.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Received a letter stating that my 10,000 credit card had decrease by half because of a derogatory report on my credit report. I have had this card since 2008. Never late, always paid double what my payment is due. Call and told them this on my credit report has should have nothing to do with this Barclays. Explain that I am and have always been in good standing with them for 10yrs.

They stated they have the right to review my account anytime and do whatever they want to do with my credit line whether I am in good standing or not. Said they will reconsider and ask if I wanted a review. I said yes. They began asking me personal question on what do I need to spend the card on and why I guess the answers didn't satisfy them. Said they will not reinstate the my full credit line at this time. Told them, “So this how you treat your customers who have been with you 10 yrs?” They said, “Sorry," (sarcastically). "We have that right.” I will pay this card off. They are a very sorry company. Would not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I've had a Barclaycard with Apple rewards for over 3 years now. I ran up a hefty balance and became delinquent due to Hurricane Maria - I was stuck in the Caribbean unexpectedly for about a month. I reached out to Barclaycard for help to no avail while Capital One put me on a program to help me get back on track. A few months later I paid my balance in full when I got my bonus. The day after I paid in full Barclaycard lowered by credit line by two-thirds and gave me no option to challenge their decision. I see a lot of bad reviews on this credit card company and I now know why. Please beware!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was approved for a credit card with Apple Rewards from this bank back in October and I still have not received the card. I have already called 3 times. For the third time, I requested to talk to a manager and he is the worst person someone can be on the manager position. Does not seem to care the inconvenience customers experience. I said, "Can you check on the postal service," his answer was it is my responsibility and not the company's. I asked, "What if I don't received the card within the next 7 days," his response would have to order a new card which is another 7-10 days which makes no sense at all coz if I don't receive again they might ask to wait for a year.

Stupid company, stupid people. If we can't provide the service you offer, I don't understand why are you still functioning. Apple seriously needs to get another company for credit card. Wants people to undergo credit check but still can't provide a credit card. I feel pity on these people. Poor company, poor customer service, never dealing with this BS company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I contacted customer service on card to report damaged chip on my card. It was frequently refused in NYC stores at which I had frequently used it. Customer service was below horrible. But Barclays is the only card which awards Miles and More directly each month. Awful nasty phone call.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

To improve my credit score I generally always keep low balances on my credit cards. From time to time we all need to utilize our available funds for emergencies. Right after I paid Barclays Bank credit card to reduce the balance to be under 50% on my credit card, they reduce my credit limit to equal my new Balance. This action destroyed my credit score, hurting my chances of getting a new house. That $4500 dollars I paid them, could of went somewhere else to help my family after our house got destroyed by Hurricane Irma. Instead this bank took my money, cut my credit limit more than half, and without warning. Poor company practices.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Calling this bank a scam could be an understatement to me. I’ve no proper phrase to use to describe my disappointment. I got a credit card through Apple, purchased a phone under their interest free policy for 12 months which was supposed to close on 3 December. I paid off the balance in July. After paying off the balance, I purchased another phone under the same interest free policy since we’d agreed that they won’t charge interest if I make a purchase over 400. All of a sudden, my payments have been paying interest. I pay over $50 a month but the credit balance keeps growing.

When I called them for an explanation, their rude customer rep. told me I owe deferred interest on my first phone of almost $100. I explained to him that I cleared that amount in July way before the closing date and he told me that’s what he sees and will keep growing if I don’t clear my debt. I tried to explain the agreement of the deal but all seemed to fall on deaf ears. It’s been affecting my credit too, and I really feel extremely pissed. Decided to transfer the balance and once that’s complete will call them to close that card and trash it eventually. Don’t fall for their scams.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

This company is horrible. The customer service is the worst. Someone fraudulently used my card. I've been trying to resolve this for months. Every time I call Barclay, they say the last person that helped me didn't remove the fraudulent charges and they do not know why. Investigations take 5 to 7 days. Reported the Fraud in Oct. It's now Dec and it's still not resolved. They call me every two days telling me to pay the bill. This card was closed and people still are trying to use the card. 12/6 - Cameron ** is the last person in the Fraud Unit to help me. Barclay 866-408-4070 customer service stinks!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I fell behind on my Barclaycard account, and later agreed through its designated attorneys to a settlement. It is now more than three months since that time, and my credit report still shows I owe the balance, less the settlement. When I called to complain, I was told it is this horrible bank's policy to keep hurting former customers in this way. My loan officer (not for Barclays; for a legitimate, honest lender) tells me this is illegal. I have sent a formal complaint to the Delaware Banking regulators requesting that the bank be ordered to follow the law and that economic sanctions be placed on it. Here's the bottom line: DO NOT EVER, EVER DEAL WITH BARCLAYS BANK IN ANY WAY. It is an unethical, criminal organization. Avoid it as you would the mafia.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I originally opened this card as a Travelocity Visa. I kept it on hand and hardly used it. I just kept it in case of emergency. I used it every few months just to keep it going. Because I barely used it, I would pay it off right away after using it to avoid forgetting. I did not opt for paperless billing just for a backup. Last year I received notice that my account would be Barclaycard services Mastercard. I had hoped this would be a good company... But, BOY WAS I WRONG!

Wednesday November 22nd on Thanksgiving Eve I received a call that my account was past due and I needed to make a payment. So I freaked out! I had not received a statement in quite some time and I thought it was because when I used the card in October I had paid off the balance, but, apparently my payment did not go through. When I called to see what was going on, they said they could not access my account "the system was down and to please call back in an hour."

Well that was 10 account managers and 3 business days later. I have begged to speak to a supervisor or someone that can actually access my account, but, to no avail. I am now awaiting a phone call from a supervisor... Hmmm it's been since Friday and it's now Monday, and I called again and what do you know the system is still down and they can't access my account, they can of course transfer me to someone else and I can wait on hold with my cell phone minutes yet again so I can be told they can't access my account. I have honestly never heard of anything so dang crazy. This company is horrible and I will never use my card again. The calls keep coming and now today an email that I am past due, but yet, they can't access my account. STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Barclays Bank sucks!!! I open an account with Barclays through Apple years ago to purchase a computer for my daughter. It was the only time I ever used it and I paid it off in a couple of years. Eventually the account was closed. About 3 years ago my ex-wife applied for and opened a new account in my name and without my knowledge. I'm not sure how she did it, probably online. Of course she would have had knowledge of my name, SSN, and address.

Barclays apparently does zero verification on applications as they sent her a credit card with a $2K limit which she immediately maxed out. I only found out about it a few months later when the account showed up on my credit report as late. Barclays policy appears to shift the burden of proof on to the consumer, guilty until proven innocent. I disputed the account numerous times and all I ever get was boilerplate letters saying the account is mine and I am responsible for it. Their view is since they have my name, SSN, and (former) address it must be my account. I obviously flat refuse to pay the account, if I do it would mean I am covering their losses for their lack of due-diligence. I will not do this.

Eventually they turned the account over to Midland Credit Management, a scumbag collection agency. Midland also does business as Midland Funding LLC, Asset Acceptance LLC, Encore Capital Group, Midland Acquisition Corp, Midland Acquisitions Corp and MRC Receivables Corp. This should tell you something about them right there. I have disputed this account with Midland at least 10 times but their view is the same as Barclays, I am guilty until proven innocent. These two are doing absolutely NOTHING to combat identify theft! They are the worse, avoid Barclays like the plague!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I was booking a flight on the internet through Priceline, just before pay off tickets I was offered 100 discount on current booking getting the Priceline MasterCard Barclay. After they got me to input all the personal info requested it just bounce me right off. Never got the discount but they already got me with the Barclay Card. Called Priceline about the issue. They referred me to Barclay bank. It was a nightmare to get in contact with a live person at Barclay customer service, they would put on automated system forever and when finally got a live person, they were the most rudest, most disrespectful customer service ever. When tried to explain the situation some would even hang up on me. Finally I said, "Look, I just want to cancel this card because I don’t need it." Well to this day trying to cancel the card has been a nightmare. They tell is cancel but I’m still receiving emails of it being active. Stay away from this trap.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Received an alert from credit agency. Barclays Bank made a hard inquiry under management name on all 3 credit companies, which lowered my credit score. Definitely did not apply for any credit with this bank and have called them repeatedly on toll-free number to no avail as cannot get live person. Did not leave message on recording as felt this is not protocol for most reputable banks. Believe this bank or someone is fraudulently trying to open credit under my name. Have alerted all credit reporting agencies, but am upset there is no resolution nor can talk to someone there and after reading reviews here, appears they operate unethically at best.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

On October 28th 2017 I was notified by Credit Karma that an account had been opened in my name. Credit Karma provided me with a phone number to call the creditor "Barclay Bank" and investigate this account which I did immediately. It turns out that Barclay Bank allowed a Fraudulent account to be opened in my name even though I live over a thousand miles away from the application information provided by the suspect. Barclay did not call me to confirm this fraudulent account or notify me in any way. I had to pay TransUnion to freeze my credit, Called the police, called the FBI, drove all over town to fax papers, reports, filed statements at the local police department and now suffer the feeling of being victimized.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

For the second time in one year Barclaycard has started charging me for late charges and extra interest on payments they had already received from my bank. According to my bank, Barclay only accepts check payments from banks as opposed to electronic payments. I have my bank automatically send my payment every month by the due date. Every month Barclaycard calls me to say they haven't received payment and late fees have been applied. Every month I check my bank account to find that not only was the payment made but the check was cashed!

Then I have to go through all the hoops to get proof to them that they were paid and to have fees reversed. Their excuse: the processing of the payment takes 5 to 10 days and if I sent my payment in at least 7 days before the due date I could avoid the late fees! We go around like this every month until the bill Is paid off. Just another way for them to steal money from people who don't pay attention to their accounts! I will be canceling this card.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I had not received a Barclays statement for one month and was charged $27 late fee. Then it happened again one month later and was again charged a late fee plus interest. I have been at the same address for 15 years and took this up with the USPS and they said they would be extra careful that the statement was delivered. Well, when it happened the second time I knew it was Barclays wanting to make $$ on me. I am paying off my balance and will not use this card again as I feel Barclays is the fault here and not the USPS.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have had this card for at least 5 years, never been late, always pd over the minimum except for a couple of months this summer when I changed jobs. They reduced my credit limit causing my credit score to drop. This is the second time they have done this to me. I have no late payments ever, anywhere. When reading the reviews I discovered they are doing this to others as well. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this card. I'm paying it off and dropping it.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Called Barclays Credit Dept: I was approved 9/17 for the 30-day offer of free credit for 1-year on the purchase of the iPhone 8X. When I couldn’t take advantage of the free interest offer before the 30 day offer period was up because the iPhone 8X wouldn't be available for pre-order until 10/2, I asked if the offer was being extended. The response was no so I asked that the acct be closed because I only opened to take advantage of the iPhone 8 interest/free offer.

The iPhone 8X is now available so I re-applied last night to take advantage of the 1-year interest free offer & was immediately turned down. I contacted the Credit Dept to find out why I was approved 5 weeks ago, didn’t charge anything on the card, & closed the acct as I only opened it for the iPhone purchase. The Barclays Credit Dept Rep explained that my previous request had automatically been approved by computer & my recent request was denied by computer because I had already been approved for a card 5 weeks ago & it didn’t matter that I closed the acct without ever using the card.

She said she’d manually review my request & my credit report. She looked at my credit report & started listing credit cards & their balances & that she couldn’t approve my application. I commented that my ratio of credit card use in relationship to available credit is high but I am currently paying my bills & have an excellent credit history.

She then started asking me why my balances were so high, what was I charging, why was I charging, etc. I told her that she could decide the fate of my application but what I charge & my reasons why I carry balances is none of anyone’s business but my own. She repeatedly asked her questions & I continued not to answer. The ironic thing is that I have Juniper/Barclays credit card with a balance & have had the card for years. I finally got so angry at her line of questioning that I told her to close my Juniper/Barclays credit card acct, I would pay off the balance & I wanted to speak with a manager.

The manager gets on the phone & basically said the Rep’s questions were standard Barclays’ procedure when reviewing a credit application. I told him that I had never been grilled over my finances by any company when applying for any type of credit. In fact, I had just been approved for a used car loan at a low rate of interest without any type of interrogation. When we ended the called he gave the perfunctory, “Is there anything else we can help you with today? No, okay then. Have a nice day.” I almost screamed before I hung up.

Is insulting, angering & questioning a person’s integrity Barclays’ idea of good customer service? Not that they were making millions of dollars off me & my credit card interest but as I pay down my Juniper/Barclays card & the balance decreases, they will be collecting less & less interest on what I currently owe &, of course, will not be collecting interest on what could have been future charges. Bad business, Barclays, especially since I’ve now posted a detailed account of my experience.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Applied online for an LLBean VISA card offered through Barclays Bank. Got rejected within a few hours. I have excellent credit and haven't moved in years so I was surprised. Called customer service and they informed me that there was an identification issue and that I needed to snail mail to them a copy of both sides of my social security card, drivers license and a utility bill. Not something I wanted to do for security reasons. I asked what the issue with identification was and they (spoke to 5 different people at different times) told me there was no way they could tell. Their only solution was to mail in the documentation forms. I asked if I could attach copies of the forms to their secure website but that was not acceptable. Mail was the only way. I inquired whose attention it went to and the answer was simply a PO Box. I asked how I could trace the status of my application and they said you can't.

Others have already spoken to the fact that paperwork gets lost or documents are deemed unacceptable - and you have no recourse. I would suggest LLBean find an alternate credit card company to associate themselves with. Barclays is anything but customer focused. They act like they're doing you some huge favor. I gave up on the application. A friend of mine applied online and their application went through instantly, so something triggered my rejection. I guess I'll never know since Barclays seems ignorant of why also.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We made an overpayment to this company and instead of them refunding the money overpaid, they did some type of payment adjustment and are giving us non exact information as to where the money went. They never contacted us regarding the overpayment. However there is a "payment adjustment" on the account but they cannot give us any information... Account number, name, place where this money was sent to. It's been over 2 months now and we still have not gotten the overpayment refunded. And no answers as to where it was applied.

Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Company Information