1.05/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

651 Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

Barclay Card Loan Offer is fraudulent. I received an offer in the mail for pre-approved online loan. Offered great interest rate and payback options. Stated it was easy to apply with no hassle and an answer in only a few days. I provided all of the personal information they requested and even had a few phone calls with them (taking longer lunch break to do so). They continually called me maam instead of sir even after I told them I am a sir (and as it appears on the information I sent to them). I have a hypofunctioning adrenal gland, so I do sound more feminine than most men. They stated they could not prove my identity (I sent them my SS card, driver's license, copies of bills mailed to my home, gave them previous address information that I could remember (I've lived in the same house for 21 years), my W2 and a copy of my latest bank statement.

I asked what else they needed from me to prove I am who I say I am and they would not give me any other options. While I am glad they want to ensure the identity, I gave them everything they needed and was still insulted. They even called me by my wife's name and the only information I gave them with her name was our bank statement. Now they have all of my personal information to do with as they please because I, in good faith, gave it to them. Please beware of these types of mail offers.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had an LL Bean credit card through Barclays. I set up the automatic payments to have the balance of the credit card paid in full every month. I thought that arrangement would prevent any late payments. Wrong! I just received a statement with a late fee and past due notice. I looked and saw that the arrangement to pay the balance automatically was still, I thought, in force. At least it showed up that way on my account on the credit card's website. I called customer service to find out what happened that the bill wasn't paid. I was informed that the automatic payments are only in place for 12 months!! I certainly don't remember being told that when I set up the automatic payments and I know I never got a notice saying that my automatic payments had expired. I was charged a $27 late fee.

Since I did catch the problem during the very next billing cycle, I asked if it would be reported to the credit bureau; they told me that it was their policy to report late payments after they were 30 days late! In my opinion, this is a scam to collect $27 from unwitting consumers! I have several other accounts that are paid through an automatic payment system and none of them stop the payments after a random date -- they stop when I tell them to stop. At the very least, I should have been informed that the automatic payment arrangement was terminating. It's one thing if I don't make the payment, but when I use a payment system that is set up by Barclays, they should be more forthcoming about the payment arrangements! Thankfully, LL Bean will be issuing a new credit card from another financial institution! Barclays will stick in my mind and I will not use another Barclays product!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Barclays attracted me because of their savings rate and also they are supposed to be an international bank! The savings rate is one the competitive rate in the US; however, when I tried to open account it was horrible experience. The Company did not contact regarding my application, I contacted numerous occasion over a week and I was asked to send in verification documents which I promptly sent. After a week of back and forth I was told to reapply with my full name! When I called the call was dropped and never to be heard from this bank! To me this is absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional ways to do business. I will keep my money with American Express Savings as they are much better professionals to deal with and also highly competitive with their savings rate.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I kept logging into my computer to see when my $5,000 balance transfer was going to happen. It finally happened but to my surprise there was another balance transfer for $5,205 and transfer fees for both. One Transfer fee was $150.00 and the other $156.15. I called Barclay credit card on May 16, 2018 at 2:23 pm Mountain Time, to inquire about this and they tell me that it came from my computer. I assured them it did not. I asked to keep it the way it was because I spent the entire day figuring out how to make it work. I only asked that they take away one of the fees since I did not make the one balance transfer. I got nowhere with the first gentlemen I spoke with then I spoke to the manager and he repeated the same thing. They said, that they can send the $5205.00 back and I said, why would you do that, doesn't it cost money? I told them it was ok to leave it just do the right thing and take away one of the fees.

They said, they could not take away the fee but could send the money back. I again, asked, "Why would you do that? It will cost again to send it back." We just went around and around and we both kept repeating myself until the manager asked, "Is there anything else I can help you with." The only thing I said, was put in my file that I am in protest of this and I am not happy. I only wanted to transfer $5,000 originally because I wanted it paid off during the zero APR. I have never had this happen and I have done balance transfers before. Also, they had an offer that if you get their credit card that you would get 500 points for American Airlines. Then I did not get the 500 points. I called and they told me I had to pay the membership fee and buy something with a certain time. I did that and paid the balance immediately. Now, they told me it will take a month for it to show up. I am feeling that this a shady company at this point.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Due to the predatory lending policy of Barclays Bank, they are lowering the credit ratings of innocent credit card holders. With a due date of the first of every month, if the payment is made early during the final days of the month before, the payment is not credited to the month of the current bill, thus incurring a late fee and report to credit rating companies.

For example, my payment due on February 1, received on January 25, was assessed as a payment for January and not applied to the February bill and a late fee was assessed. Thus January had two payments and February was noted as not paid and late fee applied. This is predatory and intentional. They state the payment must be received in the month of the statement and not earlier. This has caused fees of $27 to be charged multiple times and has lowered my credit rating many points. I have moved the pay date to the 21 of the month because my Social Security check comes the week of the 17th of each month and that is why I was paying it before the first of the month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial?

Original review: May 6, 2018

I have had this card for over 5 years. I would charge several hundred dollars a month to sometimes over a thousand and would always pay the balance in full. I recently purchased a home and my credit utilization has skyrocketed. I paid the balance off of 7500.00 then charged it back to 3500.00. They then LOWERED the limit down to 3500.00 without warning, trashing my FICO score. As if that was not bad enough they even closed the account!

I would never use this company again because they are very unprofessional and do things without warning or concern for their customers. I have never had these problems with Capital One and even the so called "Sub Prime" accounts I have had for years. This company out of 12 creditors was the only creditor that decided to pull this trick. I paid off the remaining balance and will NEVER trust this company again. Imagine this was your only account and you needed it for an emergency and out of the blue they CLOSE it leaving you stranded!!! I would recommend people to look elsewhere for a credit card!!!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have been with Barclays credit card through L.L.Bean (they really need to rethink who they are using) for 10 years at least. Even though I have paid my bills on time and have an excellent credit rating, the APR shot up to 22%. It is outrageous. I have been thinking of switching to another bank company and transferring the amount which isn't a lot actually but I need to lower my monthly payments. They have recklessly increased my available amount without even confirming if I want to. I just hung up now from asking a rep (Cheryl) who did not have any time of day and immediately said no. I am utterly incensed by this lack of concern for their customers which also reflects on L.L.Bean. Until now I have been a dedicated customer of L.L.Bean but no more. Shame on them for doing business with Barclays who clearly has no concern for the customer. I will be looking into other options.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I contacted them in regards to fraud on my credit report by my brother and now they are trying to pin the fraud on me and their so-called investigator said they will make me pay for all my brother's charges.

Original review: April 8, 2018

They cut my available credit right after I paid it completely down. I've been with them for YEARS and have always been on time and paid more than what's due!!! Despite being a loyal customer, they refuse to increase my limit which does not help my score. I will keep this card ONLY to avoid hurting my credit score but if I could turn BACK the hands of time, I would throw their offer right in the TRASH!!! BARCLAYS SUCK BIG, BIG, BIG TIME!!! Consumer beware...

Original review: March 30, 2018

On 2/19/2018 I got my free credit report from TransUnion and under soft inquiries I saw Credit Shop and had no idea who they were. I called TransUnion and they said that Credit Shop was associated with one of my accounts. I called all my accounts and every account holder including Barclays card and everybody said they were not affiliated with Credit Shop. I got so angry I called Credit Shop. I spoke with Karen ** and she informed me that they bought 700,000 credit card accounts from Barclays in March 2017, and that customer service reps wouldn't know and I even spoke with supervisors who also didn't know. Karen ** at 877-203-7444 Opt #** told me that Barclays was servicing my account and they were receiving the money.

Karen ** said they wouldn't be notifying anyone until July 2018 and that their new Mercury card would be going out in September 2018. I woudn't take the word of Credit Shop when Barclays was saying my account wasn't sold. I called Barclays Bank Delaware headquartered in Wilmington, DE on 3/28/2018, Office of the President and was told my account was not sold by Tom. On 3/29/2018, I requested a letter from Barclays through the CFPB as to whether they sold my account or they didn't. I got a phone call from Nicole from this same office and she assured me that my account had not been sold.

On 3/30/2018, I spoke with Amy **, Team Manager, Office of the President, Phone number 866-750-6031 Ext **. Amy ** informed me that my account had been sold to Credit Shop in March of 2017. Barclays has made me look like a jackass for over a month. I made two complaints to the CFPB against TransUnion in one month, I have gone through the CFPB to get letters that my other creditors were not affiliated with Credit Shop, and got a police report. Barclays should be ashamed of themselves. If you find Credit Shop on your TransUnion credit report under Account Review Inquiries it means that Credit Shop had bought your Barclays credit card account in March 2017. There are approximately 700,000 accounts that have been sold and consumers that it affects don't know about it yet.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I closed my Barclays card because I had too many cards open and it affected my credit score which is in the 700s since I pay my cards off in full. When I closed my card, I was under the impression that I had a zero balance and cut up my card. There was a payment due from that month that I tried to pay off but then bounced due to the fact that I had fraud on my account and therefore my account was frozen. Here's the problem. Barclays didn't call me to resolve the problem once the 2 payments I tried to make bounced. Secondly, their system sets clients up for late fees by not zeroing out the balance prior to closing the account. There are too many cards with better service than Barclays card. Go with a card with better service, integrity and rewards.

Original review: March 16, 2018

For the last 3 months my Apple Rewards have been disappearing from my Barclay Visa account. Every time I call customer service they have not been able to provide any answers as to where my points have gone. I have called the "Office of the President" at Barclay Visa card and they are useless in providing any information. It is my belief that my Apple Rewards are being taken by someone on the inside of Barclay Visa.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This is the worst card I ever had. Waiting for a call from Lisa from their so called president’s office since forever. Card does not work abroad (even after informing them of travel), refused to give me copy of my statement, employees rude and disrespectful. Will cancel card. Also have several thousand charge a months and always pay it off at due date. Kept a reversal for 13 days until it was posted to my account. Borderline criminal.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I use this card for emergencies only. They have started charging a fifty cent "minimum purchase" WITHOUT MY CONSENT then hitting me with a $24/mon late fee for not paying the 50 cents on time! This is a scam and shouldn't be legal. IF they need to charge a maintenance fee on the card then do that -- but they are counting on no one noticing that 50 cent charge.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have an above 700 FICO, and I've had this account open for over 5 years and have never missed a payment or been late. My initial limit was 12k, and somehow they have managed to decrease my limit every couple of years. I received a message from my credit monitoring this weekend, 2/17/18, that my limit was decreased again from 5300 to 4800. My balances aren't high on my other cards, most of my CL are above 30k and yet these guys somehow seem to decrease me. I have NEVER had a credit limit after 5 years of perfect pay history. Incredible. And of course when I call in to have them review on Presidents Day, they discussed my whole account, but chose to tell me I needed to update my phone number with Experian "whom they don't pull btw in Texas" and until then they can't process the review. Don't use these guys and if you do, this is what you're in for.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

On Feb. 19, 2018, I used automated system like I have in the past make my husband’s credit card payment. I was not allowed to make the payment this time. Is this a new policy that a spouse cannot make the payment from our joint checking account? I have been doing this since day one but can no longer make the payment. This is just ridiculous!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Barclays is the worst banking company I have ever dealt with. In December I finally acquired my card after sending in a scanned copy of my social (not secure). In January Barclays withdrew my remaining balance of $2,884 on my new 15" Macbook Pro. The money withdrew from my checking account even though I had previously setup automatic recurring payments. My wife and I were perplexed as to why our checking account had suddenly dropped. We have a new mortgage, car, and other monthly payments and can't afford to just drop nearly $3,000 here and there.

Monthly payments would have worked fine, but Barclays withdrew the remaining balance. I called them this morning at 8:00 am MST and am still on hold at 8:45 am. It's been 45 minutes and I'm still waiting to talk to a relationship manager who probably won't do anything about the error. I'm going to close my account with Barclays and rip up their card ASAP. This is the worst customer service I've ever had in my life.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

In June of 2017 due to the hurricane I was left with a roof issue. I had a leak and contacted my insurance co. They sent people over that caused mold to grow throughout my house. I got so sick and was harmed. I am a disabled veteran. My house is a VA loan. I can’t live there due to the mold. Going on 4 mo I have had to live and pay somewhere else. I’m still paying my mortgage and bills. Both places. I’m not behind and I’ve never been late. Not on anything. It is getting to be too much. I have MS and autoimmune issues. I called Barclays and Melinda let me know she was sorry. They can’t help. They shut my card down a couple of months ago. I’ve never been late. I asked to please lower the rate from 25% down or make a plan or perhaps a payoff of something less. I offered 2000. On a 3000 Card. She said, “No sorry can’t help you.”

I have had a very hard time. I don’t want to lose my home and I’m waiting on mediation. Barclays was heartless. I asked for a letter stating what she told me. Basically no help no matter what. She would not provide it. She also would not give me a physical address to send certified letters to. Until I begged and after 15 min on hold. This company is horrible. I don’t want to not pay but I can’t crawl. My funds are depleted. I served my county and earned my loan and I’m afraid I’m going to lose everything. I just need some help. Not a handout.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Received a letter stating that my 10,000 credit card had decrease by half because of a derogatory report on my credit report. I have had this card since 2008. Never late, always paid double what my payment is due. Call and told them this on my credit report has should have nothing to do with this Barclays. Explain that I am and have always been in good standing with them for 10yrs.

They stated they have the right to review my account anytime and do whatever they want to do with my credit line whether I am in good standing or not. Said they will reconsider and ask if I wanted a review. I said yes. They began asking me personal question on what do I need to spend the card on and why I guess the answers didn't satisfy them. Said they will not reinstate the my full credit line at this time. Told them, “So this how you treat your customers who have been with you 10 yrs?” They said, “Sorry," (sarcastically). "We have that right.” I will pay this card off. They are a very sorry company. Would not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I've had a Barclaycard with Apple rewards for over 3 years now. I ran up a hefty balance and became delinquent due to Hurricane Maria - I was stuck in the Caribbean unexpectedly for about a month. I reached out to Barclaycard for help to no avail while Capital One put me on a program to help me get back on track. A few months later I paid my balance in full when I got my bonus. The day after I paid in full Barclaycard lowered by credit line by two-thirds and gave me no option to challenge their decision. I see a lot of bad reviews on this credit card company and I now know why. Please beware!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was approved for a credit card with Apple Rewards from this bank back in October and I still have not received the card. I have already called 3 times. For the third time, I requested to talk to a manager and he is the worst person someone can be on the manager position. Does not seem to care the inconvenience customers experience. I said, "Can you check on the postal service," his answer was it is my responsibility and not the company's. I asked, "What if I don't received the card within the next 7 days," his response would have to order a new card which is another 7-10 days which makes no sense at all coz if I don't receive again they might ask to wait for a year.

Stupid company, stupid people. If we can't provide the service you offer, I don't understand why are you still functioning. Apple seriously needs to get another company for credit card. Wants people to undergo credit check but still can't provide a credit card. I feel pity on these people. Poor company, poor customer service, never dealing with this BS company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I contacted customer service on card to report damaged chip on my card. It was frequently refused in NYC stores at which I had frequently used it. Customer service was below horrible. But Barclays is the only card which awards Miles and More directly each month. Awful nasty phone call.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

To improve my credit score I generally always keep low balances on my credit cards. From time to time we all need to utilize our available funds for emergencies. Right after I paid Barclays Bank credit card to reduce the balance to be under 50% on my credit card, they reduce my credit limit to equal my new Balance. This action destroyed my credit score, hurting my chances of getting a new house. That $4500 dollars I paid them, could of went somewhere else to help my family after our house got destroyed by Hurricane Irma. Instead this bank took my money, cut my credit limit more than half, and without warning. Poor company practices.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Calling this bank a scam could be an understatement to me. I’ve no proper phrase to use to describe my disappointment. I got a credit card through Apple, purchased a phone under their interest free policy for 12 months which was supposed to close on 3 December. I paid off the balance in July. After paying off the balance, I purchased another phone under the same interest free policy since we’d agreed that they won’t charge interest if I make a purchase over 400. All of a sudden, my payments have been paying interest. I pay over $50 a month but the credit balance keeps growing.

When I called them for an explanation, their rude customer rep. told me I owe deferred interest on my first phone of almost $100. I explained to him that I cleared that amount in July way before the closing date and he told me that’s what he sees and will keep growing if I don’t clear my debt. I tried to explain the agreement of the deal but all seemed to fall on deaf ears. It’s been affecting my credit too, and I really feel extremely pissed. Decided to transfer the balance and once that’s complete will call them to close that card and trash it eventually. Don’t fall for their scams.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

This company is horrible. The customer service is the worst. Someone fraudulently used my card. I've been trying to resolve this for months. Every time I call Barclay, they say the last person that helped me didn't remove the fraudulent charges and they do not know why. Investigations take 5 to 7 days. Reported the Fraud in Oct. It's now Dec and it's still not resolved. They call me every two days telling me to pay the bill. This card was closed and people still are trying to use the card. 12/6 - Cameron ** is the last person in the Fraud Unit to help me. Barclay 866-408-4070 customer service stinks!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I fell behind on my Barclaycard account, and later agreed through its designated attorneys to a settlement. It is now more than three months since that time, and my credit report still shows I owe the balance, less the settlement. When I called to complain, I was told it is this horrible bank's policy to keep hurting former customers in this way. My loan officer (not for Barclays; for a legitimate, honest lender) tells me this is illegal. I have sent a formal complaint to the Delaware Banking regulators requesting that the bank be ordered to follow the law and that economic sanctions be placed on it. Here's the bottom line: DO NOT EVER, EVER DEAL WITH BARCLAYS BANK IN ANY WAY. It is an unethical, criminal organization. Avoid it as you would the mafia.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I originally opened this card as a Travelocity Visa. I kept it on hand and hardly used it. I just kept it in case of emergency. I used it every few months just to keep it going. Because I barely used it, I would pay it off right away after using it to avoid forgetting. I did not opt for paperless billing just for a backup. Last year I received notice that my account would be Barclaycard services Mastercard. I had hoped this would be a good company... But, BOY WAS I WRONG!

Wednesday November 22nd on Thanksgiving Eve I received a call that my account was past due and I needed to make a payment. So I freaked out! I had not received a statement in quite some time and I thought it was because when I used the card in October I had paid off the balance, but, apparently my payment did not go through. When I called to see what was going on, they said they could not access my account "the system was down and to please call back in an hour."

Well that was 10 account managers and 3 business days later. I have begged to speak to a supervisor or someone that can actually access my account, but, to no avail. I am now awaiting a phone call from a supervisor... Hmmm it's been since Friday and it's now Monday, and I called again and what do you know the system is still down and they can't access my account, they can of course transfer me to someone else and I can wait on hold with my cell phone minutes yet again so I can be told they can't access my account. I have honestly never heard of anything so dang crazy. This company is horrible and I will never use my card again. The calls keep coming and now today an email that I am past due, but yet, they can't access my account. STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Barclays Bank sucks!!! I open an account with Barclays through Apple years ago to purchase a computer for my daughter. It was the only time I ever used it and I paid it off in a couple of years. Eventually the account was closed. About 3 years ago my ex-wife applied for and opened a new account in my name and without my knowledge. I'm not sure how she did it, probably online. Of course she would have had knowledge of my name, SSN, and address.

Barclays apparently does zero verification on applications as they sent her a credit card with a $2K limit which she immediately maxed out. I only found out about it a few months later when the account showed up on my credit report as late. Barclays policy appears to shift the burden of proof on to the consumer, guilty until proven innocent. I disputed the account numerous times and all I ever get was boilerplate letters saying the account is mine and I am responsible for it. Their view is since they have my name, SSN, and (former) address it must be my account. I obviously flat refuse to pay the account, if I do it would mean I am covering their losses for their lack of due-diligence. I will not do this.

Eventually they turned the account over to Midland Credit Management, a scumbag collection agency. Midland also does business as Midland Funding LLC, Asset Acceptance LLC, Encore Capital Group, Midland Acquisition Corp, Midland Acquisitions Corp and MRC Receivables Corp. This should tell you something about them right there. I have disputed this account with Midland at least 10 times but their view is the same as Barclays, I am guilty until proven innocent. These two are doing absolutely NOTHING to combat identify theft! They are the worse, avoid Barclays like the plague!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I was booking a flight on the internet through Priceline, just before pay off tickets I was offered 100 discount on current booking getting the Priceline MasterCard Barclay. After they got me to input all the personal info requested it just bounce me right off. Never got the discount but they already got me with the Barclay Card. Called Priceline about the issue. They referred me to Barclay bank. It was a nightmare to get in contact with a live person at Barclay customer service, they would put on automated system forever and when finally got a live person, they were the most rudest, most disrespectful customer service ever. When tried to explain the situation some would even hang up on me. Finally I said, "Look, I just want to cancel this card because I don’t need it." Well to this day trying to cancel the card has been a nightmare. They tell is cancel but I’m still receiving emails of it being active. Stay away from this trap.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Received an alert from credit agency. Barclays Bank made a hard inquiry under management name on all 3 credit companies, which lowered my credit score. Definitely did not apply for any credit with this bank and have called them repeatedly on toll-free number to no avail as cannot get live person. Did not leave message on recording as felt this is not protocol for most reputable banks. Believe this bank or someone is fraudulently trying to open credit under my name. Have alerted all credit reporting agencies, but am upset there is no resolution nor can talk to someone there and after reading reviews here, appears they operate unethically at best.

Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Company Information