1.16/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

621 Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

On October 28th 2017 I was notified by Credit Karma that an account had been opened in my name. Credit Karma provided me with a phone number to call the creditor "Barclay Bank" and investigate this account which I did immediately. It turns out that Barclay Bank allowed a Fraudulent account to be opened in my name even though I live over a thousand miles away from the application information provided by the suspect. Barclay did not call me to confirm this fraudulent account or notify me in any way. I had to pay TransUnion to freeze my credit, Called the police, called the FBI, drove all over town to fax papers, reports, filed statements at the local police department and now suffer the feeling of being victimized.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

For the second time in one year Barclaycard has started charging me for late charges and extra interest on payments they had already received from my bank. According to my bank, Barclay only accepts check payments from banks as opposed to electronic payments. I have my bank automatically send my payment every month by the due date. Every month Barclaycard calls me to say they haven't received payment and late fees have been applied. Every month I check my bank account to find that not only was the payment made but the check was cashed!

Then I have to go through all the hoops to get proof to them that they were paid and to have fees reversed. Their excuse: the processing of the payment takes 5 to 10 days and if I sent my payment in at least 7 days before the due date I could avoid the late fees! We go around like this every month until the bill Is paid off. Just another way for them to steal money from people who don't pay attention to their accounts! I will be canceling this card.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I had not received a Barclays statement for one month and was charged $27 late fee. Then it happened again one month later and was again charged a late fee plus interest. I have been at the same address for 15 years and took this up with the USPS and they said they would be extra careful that the statement was delivered. Well, when it happened the second time I knew it was Barclays wanting to make $$ on me. I am paying off my balance and will not use this card again as I feel Barclays is the fault here and not the USPS.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have had this card for at least 5 years, never been late, always pd over the minimum except for a couple of months this summer when I changed jobs. They reduced my credit limit causing my credit score to drop. This is the second time they have done this to me. I have no late payments ever, anywhere. When reading the reviews I discovered they are doing this to others as well. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this card. I'm paying it off and dropping it.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Called Barclays Credit Dept: I was approved 9/17 for the 30-day offer of free credit for 1-year on the purchase of the iPhone 8X. When I couldn’t take advantage of the free interest offer before the 30 day offer period was up because the iPhone 8X wouldn't be available for pre-order until 10/2, I asked if the offer was being extended. The response was no so I asked that the acct be closed because I only opened to take advantage of the iPhone 8 interest/free offer.

The iPhone 8X is now available so I re-applied last night to take advantage of the 1-year interest free offer & was immediately turned down. I contacted the Credit Dept to find out why I was approved 5 weeks ago, didn’t charge anything on the card, & closed the acct as I only opened it for the iPhone purchase. The Barclays Credit Dept Rep explained that my previous request had automatically been approved by computer & my recent request was denied by computer because I had already been approved for a card 5 weeks ago & it didn’t matter that I closed the acct without ever using the card.

She said she’d manually review my request & my credit report. She looked at my credit report & started listing credit cards & their balances & that she couldn’t approve my application. I commented that my ratio of credit card use in relationship to available credit is high but I am currently paying my bills & have an excellent credit history.

She then started asking me why my balances were so high, what was I charging, why was I charging, etc. I told her that she could decide the fate of my application but what I charge & my reasons why I carry balances is none of anyone’s business but my own. She repeatedly asked her questions & I continued not to answer. The ironic thing is that I have Juniper/Barclays credit card with a balance & have had the card for years. I finally got so angry at her line of questioning that I told her to close my Juniper/Barclays credit card acct, I would pay off the balance & I wanted to speak with a manager.

The manager gets on the phone & basically said the Rep’s questions were standard Barclays’ procedure when reviewing a credit application. I told him that I had never been grilled over my finances by any company when applying for any type of credit. In fact, I had just been approved for a used car loan at a low rate of interest without any type of interrogation. When we ended the called he gave the perfunctory, “Is there anything else we can help you with today? No, okay then. Have a nice day.” I almost screamed before I hung up.

Is insulting, angering & questioning a person’s integrity Barclays’ idea of good customer service? Not that they were making millions of dollars off me & my credit card interest but as I pay down my Juniper/Barclays card & the balance decreases, they will be collecting less & less interest on what I currently owe &, of course, will not be collecting interest on what could have been future charges. Bad business, Barclays, especially since I’ve now posted a detailed account of my experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Applied online for an LLBean VISA card offered through Barclays Bank. Got rejected within a few hours. I have excellent credit and haven't moved in years so I was surprised. Called customer service and they informed me that there was an identification issue and that I needed to snail mail to them a copy of both sides of my social security card, drivers license and a utility bill. Not something I wanted to do for security reasons. I asked what the issue with identification was and they (spoke to 5 different people at different times) told me there was no way they could tell. Their only solution was to mail in the documentation forms. I asked if I could attach copies of the forms to their secure website but that was not acceptable. Mail was the only way. I inquired whose attention it went to and the answer was simply a PO Box. I asked how I could trace the status of my application and they said you can't.

Others have already spoken to the fact that paperwork gets lost or documents are deemed unacceptable - and you have no recourse. I would suggest LLBean find an alternate credit card company to associate themselves with. Barclays is anything but customer focused. They act like they're doing you some huge favor. I gave up on the application. A friend of mine applied online and their application went through instantly, so something triggered my rejection. I guess I'll never know since Barclays seems ignorant of why also.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We made an overpayment to this company and instead of them refunding the money overpaid, they did some type of payment adjustment and are giving us non exact information as to where the money went. They never contacted us regarding the overpayment. However there is a "payment adjustment" on the account but they cannot give us any information... Account number, name, place where this money was sent to. It's been over 2 months now and we still have not gotten the overpayment refunded. And no answers as to where it was applied.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I've read more than a dozen reviews of Barclay Rewards MasterCard, and each one describes a similar issue I've had with this company. Although I've always carried a monthly balance, I've never missed a payment in the five years I've had this card, and always pay double the minimum due. Because of a recent illness in which I was hospitalized, my balance due increased to about 30 percent of my $10,000 credit line. As a result, Barclays immediately reduced my credit line more than 50 percent, causing my credit score to tumble. It's clear to me that this company lures in folks with fairly decent credit scores, and then drops the hammer in times of need. CS is helpful but powerless, and supervisors extremely rude. Even with a high interest rate (26.99) I counted on this card in times of need, and Barclays didn't give a damn. I wouldn't recommend this card to my worst enemy.

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2017

on Wednesday I have sent them color and black & white copy of requested documents again to see may be on ewill work for them and next day I have received a call that every thing is clear now and I can use my credit card. And I was able to pay my card online after few hours. Thanks but I think they should offer just prepaid cards credit card seems too much for them to offer.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have applied for this card and application was accepted. First month I had just 20 dollars balance. Next month I shop online and there they block my account. Asking me to call them. When I call they asked for bank statement OR Utility bill and Identification card copy and social security card copy. I was surprised. Never any credit card company asked me for these documents ever. And they told me, “We do not have any fax number. You have to send us via regular mail.” So I spend 7 dollars to send these documents through trackable mail. No one called me after 10 days. I call them and they told me ID card copy and social security copy are not readable. I have to send again. This time she told me a fax number So I sent right away and fax through my computer. So scan id card and social security card to my computer and fax them.

After waiting for 10 days again I call them and this time same thing. “Your id card and social security card numbers are not readable." I told them not only me second time. Other family members also saw those copies and were able to read. She said, “You must go to Walmart. Buy a new ink cartridge and make better copies. Then I recalled I did not print. I just scan both things and there must be something wrong on their side of printer. Which was not able to print faxed pages well. So now I am sick and tired feeling they just do not want to continue their services to me. If instead of me they see a ** woman in id pic they might not say to submit same documents again and again. Now I just can send them the originals if copies are not readable for them but ID and social security cards are normal card not Braille cards, so they can feel and read with touch. They are saying they can not read name and number on my copies. I am feeling they have problem with sight. Maybe changing eyeglasses will work.

It cause me too much frustration because I have 100% payment record and since they are not sending me paper statement I am not able to see what is the balance and I can not pay online. When I say this thing to that customer service lady she said, “You can go to the bank and get a checkbook and mail us payment.” I said, "Why should I spend money to buy checkbook and postage when I can do online for free?" No apologies for inconvenience or any other word of empathy. Just treating customers with humiliation. I will not recommend this card to anyone. Poor and cheap credit card company which has no respect for their customers.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I regret opening this Barclaycard account! After many years as a loyal account holder with another bank I decided to take advantage of a balance transfer offer from Barclays to save on interest charges with my other credit accounts. Barclays botched the transaction in a major way, essentially doubling it and putting me about $10,000 over my credit limit of $10,000. Now you would think they would have realized that doubling a $10,000 transaction on a $10,000 credit line would put the borrower $10,000 over the limit, but they did it anyway.

I called Barclays less than 24 hours after the botched transaction expecting a helpful representative to take care of the mistake right away without any problem and was essentially told in a very rude way that there is nothing they can do. This is not a good start. They botched my first transaction and now I'm being treated rudely. I asked for a supervisor and was told by rep that supervisor would just tell me the same thing. Well she was right. Instead of apologizing for the problem and offering to correct it, the "supervisor" rudely told me there is nothing they can do. He kept interrupting me and talking over me. I'm not used to being treated like this by "professionals." Stay away from Barclays! Wish I had seen the 1 star online rating before opening this account.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Currently I am seeking an attorney interested in going after this completely unethical company. I would appreciate any comment to help with this effort. They have single-handedly ruined my credit. Every few months they lower my credit limit which pushes me to the limit of my credit and causes my credit score to drop. I have never missed a single payment, for that matter always pay way over the due amount but still they lower my score. When I started with them my score was 712, now it is 686. It was going up but since Barclays started hitting me with the credit limit it has been steadily dropping. Sure, they have a decent interest rate but get ready, it is as if they are intentionally trying to ruin my creditworthiness. Horrible company.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Applied for card for JetBlue purchase and to get the benefits... 4 months later still couldn't get approval or card despite having perfect credit. They asked for copies of SS card, Driver's license, Passport, utility bill, bank statements to issue a credit card despite the fact that they KNEW exactly who was applying. Name, SS and address on application, credit report, and JetBlue account, employment all matched. Phone # is listed and verifiable. With some effort spoke to office of the president customer service, they were as incompetent, uninformed and useless.

NO ONE could or would process my application and they said for the rest of my life they would not process an application until this one was denied or approved. NEVER been denied a credit card and have a perfect credit record (820 rating). Absolutely the WORST customer service ever, no one has the authority to do anything, all decisions are computerized with no common sense used.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Tried to make a charge. For no reason they blocked my card. Called Customer Service. They are argumentative, not helpful, 40 minutes for a supervisor, and I am still talking to them without the issue being resolved. I even went through there text verification process, but to no avail yet. Their excuse is that the website that I was placing an order at was questionable... bottom line my card is still blocked. I'm not a new customer and have never been late on a payment with anyone anywhere. For the record I am now on hold with a supervisor who said she would just be a moment. Heading towards an hour now...

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial, if you can locate them, are helpful but more often than not, conspicuous by their absence.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

What can I write that hasn't already been said? During the application process for a card there is ZERO communication from Barclays via e-mail, phone, etc. On their website, there is no customer service number for applications, only current cardholders. When they eventually send information via the post office, they are not specific with the documents required and what will be accepted. When I submitted a utility bill, they informed me that wouldn't be accepted. Eventually they said I could send in a copy of my lease to verify my address. After calling back, the next customer service rep said a lease would not be accepted. I cannot stress how horrible communication is at this company. I would highly recommend applying for a credit card with a company that actually knows what they're doing.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I stayed at Best Western Plus during busy season. Loud neighbors. Bed wasn't fixed. Opened dispute and Ring made it sound like I was the issue. My account was in good standing, 750 score, all bills paid. They sent me threatening letters to pay all interest! Wow. Zeroed my BALANCES out and cancelled both Barclay Ring and CashForward cards. No interest for them!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Forget the fees, forget the higher interest rate. I can live with that. I have had this card for over one year and paid perfect. Not late, No missed payments, Nothing. I received a letter that they were not planning on renewing my card. Not based on payment history with this or any other card but based on their concern that I might be a high risk client. I have used more of my credit than usual because of a house I purchased and made major repairs to. So I used more of my credit than normal. So that actually hurts my credit because I have a balance with no available credit.

So they single handedly hurt my credit. SO I called them and actually made a little less payment than was due. Oversight as they are on auto pay. So they marked me 30 days late. Mind you I understood that I had to pay a fee because I paid less than was due that month. This is just ridiculous as they have received a payment every single month. So more of the story. They do not give a care about the consumer and are not afraid to hurt the consumer if it benefits them. Do not give them one single penny. Just look at the reviews. Horrible credit card company to do business with.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have never been late on my credit card payment. Per the credit card statement my payment posted on 27 July in the amount of $27.00. On 1 August I was charged a late fee of $25.00. I was unsure why they would charge this due to my payment being posted three days prior to the due date of 1 August. I called to discuss and was informed that I paid $1.80 too little. I requested that the late charge be reversed and was told that due to the account being closed that it was not possible to reverse. Are you kidding me? My CLOSED account can be CHARGED a fee but not REVERSED. I was a loyal customer who always paid on time. In my opinion this company is a total scam.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I've had the card for years but had stopped using it, because it was so frustrating. It declined often even though the charge was well below the $3300 credit line. Once declined a $2.50 charge??? I would have to call company while at shop or restaurant to straighten it out, embarrassing! But, a couple of months ago I was going to travel & didn't want to carry cash. Decided I would give the card another try. I called ahead to report where I would be traveling in the USA. Representative said I should not have any problems. Card declined for the first two days of traveling, even though I didn't have ANY charge on card & at that time had $3300 credit line. Had to call to get it straightened out???

When a total of $3,246 was charged over months of traveling, leaving $54 before reaching credit line, the company sent letter stating my credit line was reduced to $2,650. I had never been late, paid more than minimum payment, & had a credit score of 723. Called the company, was transferred 3 times, spent a lot of time for nothing. Credit line decreased after the fact, couldn't be ethical. This will hurt my credit score. I wouldn't recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: July 16, 2017

My card stolen and used immediately. I called and was assured it was noted as fraud. I then closed account. They then debited my checking account. I had to call 3 times to get the money back. Then they continue to bill me. They have harmed my credit. This is the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with in business. Do not open an account with them.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I have had my Barclays card for at least 10 years, one of my oldest long standing cards. They increased my balance from 1000 to 9000. This balance has been at 9K for several years, (at least about 3 years in counting). So I have several cards at my disposal, and I pay them off as soon as possible. I decided to use my card and draw up a high balance, but pay off the debt in 1.5 months. They froze the deposit and lowered my credit to 500.00. Not sure why they did this, because I have always been a good customer to them. The impression they gave me was - they weren't going to make any money from my balance, since I paid it off. So I was punished by not accepting my last payment... they want me to wait 12 days, and lowering my balance from 9k to 500.00.

Needless to say, I closed all my cards with them - the Juniper card and the extremely high APR Apple Card. I don't think people should be treated like this, when they have people that take their credit cards seriously, and pay them off. They want you to stay longer and have balances. Why else be in the credit card business. It’s a means to an end and we are just low level consumers, not big clients so we are treated like dirt. I don't need to associate with this credit card/bank. Thank you, but no thank you!

Original review: July 11, 2017

We received an offer from Barclay for 0% interest, for 12 months on transfers. We have excellent credit and decided to transfer the balance from a higher interest card. This transfer was completed during the end of June 2017. On June 30th, Barclay reported 'over the limit' to the major credit bureaus. We work outside of the US so we didn't see this on our credit until July 4th. We immediately made a substantial payment to Barclay. This caused our credit to drop by 30+ points!

I contacted Barclay and they stated that 'over limits' were reported "30 days after the closing of a billing cycle". This was not 30 days, this was 4 days and I immediately rectified the situation by paying 20 times the amount due. They recommended that I file disputes with the credit bureau, which will take a couple of months to process. There is absolutely no rationale for reporting a minor infraction, such as this, in a mere four days. They do not have an 'Alert Option' that allows for over limit or close to limit alerts. I will pay this off immediately and close this account. Not worth the reduced interest rate.

Original review: July 11, 2017

On June 16th, my Barclaycard Arrival Plus credit card was stolen and I had $974.03 fraudulent charges on my account, with a few thousand more charges declined by the bank. I initiated contact with the bank immediately after I saw the fraud alert message received on my phone, confirming through texting that I didn't perform those transactions. I was told by a customer associate that I would not be responsible for all fraudulent charges. However, after I week, I received a call from the Fraud Detection Department telling me that because those charges were cash advances so they would not reimburse me for those charges.

Even though with my police report and other supporting documents proving that those transactions were fraudulent, the bank refused to offer me help and instead put those charges with fees and interests on my account, totaling $1041.93. I have made contact with Barclaycard Fraud Detection Department several times without further progress. One supervisor called Lamar initially promised to get back to me within the same day on June 23rd. However, despite calling him leaving messages multiple times to initiate discussion and figure out the reason for rejection, the supervisor never called me back!

According to the information provided by Federal Trade Commission, under Fair Credit Billing Act, my liability as a customer for unauthorized use of my credit card tops out at $50. However, Barclaycard refused to accept my evidence of fraud, and follow the federal law to take those fraud charges out of my account. Their process of dealing billing dispute is also flawed and unfriendly. Not only that I received conflicting information from their customer associates via phone, I was also not treated with respect - the supervisor never responded to my message. Furthermore, the zip code of their address for sending a claim form is actually incorrect - one staff in the post office told me that they put wrong information on their form. I have completed lost trust in Barclaycard and Barclays Bank Delaware and am filing complaints with consumer protection agencies.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I have had a Barclays Credit Card for over 10 years and pay off my full balance each month. In the past 12 months I have charged over $70,000 to the card, so with my excellent payment history, I'm a good customer. My bank messed up an auto payment this month so the payment was several days late. Barclays charged me a $27 fee. I explained the situation and asked for a refund and Barclays repeatedly said they were UNABLE to refund the fee. The $27 isn't the issue - Barclays's response seem automated and showed no customer concern whatsoever. The card has been destroyed and patronage is history.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I was just on the phone for over 45 minutes and spoke to three reps that all gave me the worst customer service experience ever. They refused to work with me as a long time customer so I will take my business elsewhere. They have extremely unfair and questionable policies on balance transfers. My last bill had a balance transfer that expired prior to my payment due date so I paid off the amount, and lo and behold my current bill had all of the finance charges still on it! When I called they said since the offer expired interest was charged EVERYDAY!!! Who does that on a balance transfer! This was not a cash advance! Do yourself a favor and DO NOT sign up with Barclaycard because they will rip you off without even blinking! There should be a class action lawsuit filed against them!

Original review: June 24, 2017

I have Barclays Credit Aviator card. I thought I was on auto enrollment and I did that by calling customer care. It seems the person never enrolled me and I missed my payment which was around $10 by around 4 days. I called them and customer care person told me it was not my fault and also waived my late payment fee. I thanked her but after a month or so I noticed that my credit score was dipped by almost 50 and it seem they reported that to credit bureau. I called back to credit card company and they told me that as it was not entirely my fault and multiple times I have been told over phone that it will be taken care of but they never took care of. For $10, they reported to credit bureau which was not entirely my fault. They refused to help me now. I have credit cards from many other banks and never faced such problem. I would suggest everybody to keep away from such an unprofessional bank and never use their credit card.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Barclays simply practices bad business and will not stand behind their customers. After ordering a trial size skin cream for under $5 online, a bill for over $200 showed up a 30 days later on my credit card statement. When I reported the fraudulent charge to Barclays, they contacted the scam merchant who told them the trial order included an automatic $200 per month charge for "future products" and would've had to have been cancelled within the first 14 days, an impossibility of course since the unsuspecting customers aren't aware of the scam $200 charge until they get Barclays credit card bill after 30 days. I've repeatedly sent Barclays 28 pages of fraud website documents, including from the BBB, detailing the merchant's fraud scheme but Barclays continues to ignore the data, citing the merchant's bogus 14-day cancel date as a reason not to dismiss the unauthorized charge. My lawyer is on it. Barclays is not.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I recently received an offer from Barclaycard for their CashForward WorldMasterCard which offers a $200 cash rewards bonus and "0% intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers." I received my first statement from Barclaycard and what do I see? Only a $100 cash rewards bonus and a 20.49% interest charge on my purchases!

I contacted their Customer Service on May 30th and faxed them a copy of the offer I had received with a copy of my Barclaycard (to show that my card is identical in appearance to the sample shown in their offer). At the time, I was told they would have this resolved in 7-10 days. Well, I just called today, June 17th and was told to "call back again in a few days as my case is currently backlogged." This is ridiculous! As soon as this is resolved, I will totally pay off my Barclaycard and then cancel it! I advise anyone considering this offer from Barclaycard to disregard it.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I have been a customer with this company since 2013. I never requested any rate increases at any time. Through the years they have raised my limit without asking. I do not make late payments and had just recently paid it off. Charged some after the payoff and a couple of days later they called to inform me that they were going to lower my credit limit to within $300.00 of what I currently owe. My income has not gone down. It has gone up. I have had the same job with several promotions since before getting this card. Now the criteria that the credit reports us for calculating the % of usage will obviously be high, which will lower my credit score. This for a customer who is paying their bills.

Needless to say I will be paying this card off and will never use it again. I have had them place a note in this account to never raise the limit again. I would not recommend this card to anyone that asks. I could go on. This really burns me up but I know that nothing that I say will make a difference. Hoping that at least one person thinks twice before doing business with them.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I tried to apply for a Choice Privileges card and was shunted to Barclaycard. They required PRINTED copies of very sensitive information: driver's license, Social Security and bank statements. I reluctantly sent them in 3 separate envelopes to the Wilmington address. After 2 weeks I am still getting multiple letters to resend that information. After 15 min of research and dead-end phone calls I finally got ahold of a live person (with a foreign accent) who wanted me to give her OTHER sensitive information, like mother's maiden name, etc., just to talk to me. I told her to take a hike and I stopped this whole process. MY FEAR is that the first printed information is out there now. I don't know where or in whose hands.

Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Company Information