Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
3.64/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

709 Barclays Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2019

Over 30 minutes on the phone. Customer service person pleasant but knew NOTHING and gave me WRONG info on Jet Blue upgrade. Asked over and over for Mngr. Finally, one came to phone. Manager was belligerent, "sorry", she gave that info. Took NO RESPONSIBILITY. Lousy service and took over 30 minutes with no resolution as to why I was not approved for email promo for Plus card. I have excellent credit and credit standing. Zero confidence with them. Beware.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I recently was in China and made two purchases using this credit card. The conversation rate on those two dates was 6.6 yuan to the dollar. The credit card company/bank converted the amount at a 6.2 conversion rate on an amount of $9670.00 thereby securing a profit/fee of $422.58 and billing me $10,092.58 on my statement. That is a little over 4% profit. This company claims they charge no international fees to use their card. BEWARE!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I had to move to another country and left my savings account with Barclays open in case I returned to the country. Had I known how horrible Barclays telephone banking was I would have never left my account open. Apparently the account I had didn't have an option for internet banking so I got stuck having to phone their international line anytime I needed something or some information. I don't know their hiring procedures but I never spoke to a native born, not once in all the years I've dealt with the bank (since 2013). I'm a foreigner, so I understand learning a second language but when it comes to things as important as someone access to their money, you better hire people that can communicate clearly and that has never been the case.

When setting up my telephone banking the person on the other line messed up my mother's maiden name and ever since then I have had huge issues trying to even access my bank account information, all because the operator had trouble understanding what I told them and putting the wrong information down. Why am I expected to deal with the consequences of their mistake and inability to comprehand basic English?! It's ridiculous. It's been so bad that I have ignored the account for years, except to pay the tax on it in my resident country.

Finally after years of dealing with this I have called to inquire about closing the account since it's never used and to stop finally paying taxes on it, when I called the number I went through this mess all over again only to be told that the info I have given about myself doesn't match their records and I failed their security check and the only way to pass the security check now is to actually physically go to the home branch and present them with a valid ID. The ticket alone will cost me more than the account is worth, it's so stupid it's actually laughable.

I will go to the branch when I can, and I will make sure to put in a written complaint to the company for their ineptitude, and I will continue to tell everyone never to bank with this company because they don't care about their clients at all. If they cared about security as much as they pretend to, they would make sure their telephone staff could understand and write English so that they don't make mistakes that the customer has to pay for later. Ridiculous. Not once did I have a good experience with their telephone banking service, not one single time did I hang up that phone in any other feeling besides exasperation.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I owned this card for 20+ years. It was originally through Bank of America. When it was moved over to Barclays, my 4.5% fixed rate became variable without ANY notification. It was not until I noticed my percentage rate creeping up over time that I even caught this. Barclays was NEVER able to produce documentation as to why my fixed rate was switched to a variable rate proving I was never notified of it happening, but they could tell me when it happened. This is illegal and fraudulent activity on the bank's behalf. If done to me, how many others? In addition, they were making more and more interest on money that was originally borrowed on a fixed rate.

My husband still has his original credit card with Bank of America AND at a fixed percentage rate. I have contacted the bank, BBB, The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and legal agencies about this but was unsuccessful. I paid off the FULL balance early and closed the account and was billed $4.74 today! Are you kidding me? So if I were to have paid that off in full, would I get another bill in one month for $0.47? I called customer service, wasting more of my time with this bank, and got the amount removed. DO NOT do anything with this bank! Beware! They will scam you, rip you off, nickel and dime you, and waste hours of your time when you attempt to rectify it on the phone! I’m so glad I cancelled my account.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Please please AVOID THIS CARD!!!! It is the worst card I have ever owned. Their customer service is awful. They do not speak good English and they do not understand your questions. I had my monthly payments drafted each month from my bank account but they still charged me with late payments because they did not process the account properly on their end. They had problems with their program and charged my bank account over $9,000.00 and cost my bank account to be locked up (all because of their error).

The worst part of all: They caused my credit score to drop by 100 points all because of their errors. My credit has always been above average and a very high score. I am in process of trying to appeal to the credit bureaus to correct the damage they did to my credit. AGAIN THIS IS A DANGEROUS CARD AND THE PEOPLE WHO RUN CUSTOMER SERVICE DO NOT SPEAK UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH!! Avoid this card at all cost!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have 4 credict cards from different companies... The 3 others they have been increasing their loan amount that started at $ 1000 because I'm a good payer and they have all increased to $ 6000... barclays is still $1000... but the worst thing that bothers me is that the website constantly is not available,,, phone numbers of the company for customer service do not work.... no one answers... I do not want this card anymore fake company... I will close it as soon as I'll can communicate with this crap company.... fa

Original review: May 5, 2019

I received a replacement card and called Customer Service to activate. I got a recording telling me Customer Service was too busy, call back in 3 hours. Enough said. I have decided to cancel the account and shred the card.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I stopped using my card in April 2013 and have made a payment of ~$70 every month for 6 years on an original debt of $2,700. I have paid them almost $5,000 in 6 years and only $600 has been applied to my account. My current balance 6 years later is $2,089. They have charged me ~$4,300 in interest in 6 years on an original debt of $2,700. At this rate, I will pay it off in another 21 years and pay them over $22,000. Customer service was useless. I have filed a complaint with the CFPB. They will not get one more dime from me. SHAME ON BARCLAYS CARD! SHAME!!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I regret applying their Uber Visa card although the cashback rate seemed good. When activating card, they locked my card and asked me to provide docs to prove my identity. But after I sent to them, they kept claiming one of the pages in the fax is missing. I sent again and great - another page missed this time. I had to keep this whole circle for almost 3 months, because I didn't want to ruin my credit by closing it immediately. The other issue is their "$50 digital credit". In the terms, it is vivid that Amazon Prime membership is eligible to get the rebate after you spend 5k in the whole year. But when I purchased the 3-month Prime membership for myself, their system refused to issue the credit. I had to contact them and fax again the proof. Ridiculously, they told me even with what I provided, they will not issue the credit without a reason, except saying this is not eligible. Please do think twice before applying any card with Barclaycard.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I never been late with Barclays then Mercury brought Barclays and that’s when all hell broke lose. This is the worst company I’ve ever dealt with. Very unorganized & inexperienced representatives. I now have a 30 day past due on my credit report after numerous of calls verifying if I owed any past dues due from transferring my account to credit counselor. Please do not do business with them!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I’ve had a Barclays credit card for over 3 years. I have never been late paying my bill and have a 100% on-time payment history with ALL of my creditors. About two years ago Barclays increased my credit line. Then about a year ago they decided to decrease my credit line which caused my credit score to drop significantly. Today, I received a letter in the mail from Barclays that said they reviewed my credit report and decided to decrease my credit line once again! I expect my credit score will drop, once again! First of all, I didn’t ask them to review my file and I didn’t ask them for an increase in my credit line! I have ALWAYS made my payments before the due date and maintain a 100% on time payments to keep my credit score up. Why pay them on time if they’re going to keep decreasing my credit line. My credit score will be affected regardless if I pay them on time or not. I would not recommend getting any credit card from Barclays!!!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I have an excellent history with them with 100% payments. Requested a simple increase for a balance transfer and they denied me and hit me with a hard inquiry on my report. Most companies don't hit your credit report especially with a hard inquiry.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I was able to accumulate points worth almost $2,000. I never used the points for cash, but for NFL experiences. Then one day out of the blue, Barclays Card canceled my card for no good reason. I was never late and never over my limit. They said I violated the terms of the agreement, and stole my remaining points. I begged them to just give me the points for cash, but they constantly refused. I said, "You can keep your card, but I earned the points..." They basically said, "I don't care. We are taking the points and screw you." What a terrible company.

Original review: March 31, 2019

First, they inundate me with email and mailing requests to move to a more expensive JetBlue Plus card. When I called to inquire about it, I was told that "there is no current promotion" to move me to the card. I would need to apply for a new card! Seriously?? I am an existing Barclays JetBlue cardholder and I have to apply for a whole new card if I want to move to another Barclays JetBlue card and pay more? But I wouldn't have to apply if a "promotion" were available, which they said wasn't and wouldn't offer it. Well then when keep sending me all the requests? The customer service was truly terrible. Was fine when I just needed to pay the bill, but as soon as I spoke to them - on an offer they sent me - I got so angry at how non-nonsensically they responded that I am looking for a new card.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I had a Barclay Priceline Visa Signature card which I occasionally use for many years, among many other credits cards. I am also the top 1% credit rated consumer. As I am getting older and sometimes forgetful, I learned the risk of caring all my credit cards in my possession all the time, so I only carry a few in my wallet and put away the less frequently used cards. I tended to rotate the use of the less used cards if I remember.

Recently, maybe a couple months ago, I received a letter from Barclay Priceline Visa card that threatened to close my account due to inactivity. I searched and dig out my card in this matter and give them a call. They issued a new card. Upon getting my new card and I called to activate. I intended to use it later to keep my rewards points, but somehow I forget where I put it. Yesterday I received my last statement and also another separate letter from Barclay informing my Visa Card account is closed due to inactivity.

In it it also stated that for redemption of the rewards points earned, I need to call the phone number on the back of the Barclay Visa Card, (which I misplaced) no phone number was given on the letter. (clue 1) I searched on the internet for their customer service number, on their statement page only a payment phone number was given (clue 2). I called the toll-free number that I found online and gone through the automatic hoops, I was told no such account info was found. Finally I got to speak to a real person and going through the same verifying info hoops again, I tried to redeem my rewards point of 1267, which was equivalent to $12.67. The rep on the other end apologized and told me I could not redeem my reward points earned due to their policy of an arbitrary imposed minimum 2500 points policy.

For their closing my account, I restated my reasons for card inactivity and I protested that I should not be punished and be robbed of my rewards earned, if 1000 other people were cancelled of their account, each person carrying a $12.67 reward credit, that could equal to $12,670. God knows how many people that they cancelled and closed their account, each with an existing rewards credits. This could amounts to millions that Barclay defraud from their customers that they unilaterally cancelled and closed accounts. This is a very serious and systematic orchestrated attempt to defraud their customers.

During my search of Barclay’s number, I also came upon several links of Apples rewards Points complaints that were also tied to Barclay Visa cards. I hope some Attorney General or any attorney reading this would help to organize and initiate an investigation of these fraudulent activities committed by Barclay in defrauding their customers, and help start a class action suit.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I acquired a Barclays card in 2015 via Apple! I started with an 800$ limit which increased over the years to $3000 and I applied for another card which had a $4,000 limit. I maintained both cards with no late or missed payment and in 2017 I paid both cards off and suddenly a few months later one of my accounts was sold to Mercury along with many other customers! They sold one account and kept the other??? and the final payment I made was never credited by Barclays...so when the sale of accounts went through many customers were showing a missed payment! And when I contacted them no one could provide any assistance since the account was sold!!!

I have my proof of payment.. luckily it hasn’t been an issue and so far I haven’t had any issues with Mercury! About 5 months ago Barclays decided to lower my limit on the card I paid off and used again for no reason.. I absolutely do not recommend anyone sign up with Barclays with these tactics of selling accounts and lowering balances. They must be having some kinda financial trouble!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have been trying to simply change what account my automatic payments are taken from. I went online, it said to do it by phone. I called, spent an hour with them telling me it couldn't be done online. Went back online, sent secure message, they wrote back saying call... I called, they said it has to be done online. This bank is a disaster, they don't know what they are doing, people are nice, but have no ability to do anything, even the supervisors.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have been a customer with Barclays for many years...always pay on time, always pay more than the minimum. Now for the 2nd time in 7 months they have lowered my limit!! This makes it look like my card is maxed out and negatively affects my credit score... Is this even legal? As soon as I pay it down, they lower my credit!!! Do yourself a favor and don’t even apply with them!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I applied for a card with a 825 credit score and no debt and was not approved and was told it would take about 30 days for review. Forget it. I'll go somewhere else that doesn't jack you around. It is almost impossible to get a live person... and when you do they are rude!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have had a MasterCard with them for over 2 years. I have excellent credit, paid every one of my payments on time, then all the sudden they lowered my credit card limit in half. They stated that my balances on other accounts was too high. This happens right after I was furloughed as federal government employee. Their lending practices are discriminatory and unfair. Now it looks like I max out my credit card. Do not use or apply for Barclays US cards.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

They really screw you in the interest. They make you pay every month full amount of interest charge. I have Discover Card. They take a year of interest and divide by 12 and charge me $16 and some change, Barclays charges. I never understood two cards 88.00 charge monthly?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have had a Barclays card for almost 6 years now. My number was somehow stolen recently and a number of charges were fraudulently made over 3 days until I caught it and reported it. After a month-long "investigation," Barclays contacted me to say that one of the charges (the most expensive, of course) was validated by the merchant, a court in Alabama of all things, for a citation. I live in California, have never been to Alabama, and have certainly never been issued a citation there. If their fraud department couldn't easily identify this as an obviously fraudulent charge - especially since it was made amongst other fraudulent charges - then they are truly, truly pathetic.

Long story short, they say they will replace the charge on my card and it will now be up to me to resolve with the Alabama court myself. Wow. They were also extremely rude and obviously couldn't care less on the phone. I would warn everyone NOT to use Barclay's services because you effectively have absolutely no protection from fraud with them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We did some research into this company and we would be concerned with people who hold credit cards with them. We would recommend closing your accounts and not dealing with them. This is what we found. Every single number you call is nothing more than an automated message that does not give you the option to talk to a live representative. They do this on purpose because they do not want to talk to you and to avoid all questions to what they are really hiding. So we had to find out who was underwriting them and contact them directly. Well it turns out Mercury Credit Cards is not a bank or any type of financial institution.

When we contacted First Bank in the Dakota we told them about the fishy business practices of Mercury Credit Card and they pretended to be surprised. They told us the "back door" on how to get an agent. Call Mercury's toll free number and press 0 at least 4 or 5 times. Every time you press the number 0 you automatically get bound back to the main recording. Mercury figures if you do 0 get the main menu, 0 again main menu, 10 - 15 - 20 times you'll just hang up. You have to press the 0 button 5 times in a row. Not zero wait for the recording. What a bunch of con artists!

So once we finally got an agent on the phone, we just got lie after lie after lie. We had a payment due on Saturday and paid it on time. Mercury had no problem taking the money out of our account instantly but didn't bother to credit our account. So red flags started popping up. Out of the 14 credit cards that we make a payment and in 24 hours the payment and credit show up without a problem, but not Mercury! So almost a week goes by and we call them up, get a representative on the line. Makes up a story on how it takes 3-5 day to show up, ok whatever. The next it doesn't show up. Call again, mysteriously the same exact agent we spoke to almost 24 hours answers. Once again another made up story, 24 hours go by. Still same thing.

Guess who we got the 3rd time we called, the same agent that lied to us purposely 2 times before. Now the red flags are going up. A so called credit card company that has only 1 employee? And there's no background noise whatsoever. Suspicions flare! So we started to question her, if Mercury was a financial institution, stutter stutter stutter, then makes up an excuse. Then we ask, "Where you're located?" she stutters, then says the South. Then we ask, "What your physical address is because we are going to mail the payments in." IMMEDIATE RED FLAG AND THAT WAS THAT, her direct quote was "I CAN'T GIVE YOU OUR PHYSICAL ADDRESS DUE TO SECURITY REASONS".

I'm sending someone money and they purposely don't want to give you their physical address. WTF. Now then it's confirmed, MERCURY CREDIT CARDS IS A SCAM! For one, the Dept of Consumer Affairs and the Attorney General's Office clearly state that all businesses that do business with the public, must disclose their physical address on their website or give it to the customer. NOT MERCURY. Secondly, they violated the Consumer Protection Act, which states that they must immediately process a payment within a specified time period. NOT MERCURY. 12 days since the payment and nothing posted to the account. On Hold.

So what is Mercury Cards trying to hide, are they running this so called business out of their mother's basement. You refuse to disclose your address, have only 1 agent for hundreds of people, calling 3 times and getting the same person, having that 1 person that works for you purposely lie and make excuses. When we traced the payment we made with our bank, WE FOUND OUT THAT MERCURY CREDIT CARD WAS NOT EVEN ON THE NAME OF THE MERCHANT ID THEY WERE USING. So now what? They purposely hide their location and the above reasons. So we contacted our bank, reversed the payments and blocked their merchant ID from making any future attempts out of our account. All this information is a first hand account of everything that happened to us, and it's the truth. Be very very careful about doing business with these cons.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I received a Jetblue credit card that I did not request and when I called the number to have it deactivated I was told I had to give them my social security number which I refused. I asked them how they acquired my social security without a request and was disconnected. This is a form of identity theft since I never gave them my number.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I've had the Barclays credit card for three or four years. Never missed a payment, never late & always paid more than the minimum. Yet they reduce my available credit twice. Why? They give me an excuse that my balance is too high. I have not used their card in over a year, yet always made monthly payments. They gave me a credit line of over $4,000, it's now $2,200. I now owe them about $i,800, never owed more than about 2,500. Can't wait to pay them off.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Been with Barclays for 5 years, only used the card for a year as they would not lower the APR. I only keep the card cause it’s free and the length of time for the credit is good to have. Their customer service sucks and the interest rate is double my other cards. Barclays doesn’t compare to most other cards or competitors.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I made a payment on October 31 of over $10,000.00 (we were paying for our wedding). This company cashed the check on November 14th and still has not applied the funds to my account. My credit took a hit because I am not willing to send them more money. I own a home and just recently got married, and HAD perfect credit. This company is bad bad bad and the people running it should be in jail. I am so mad I ever opened an account with this company. Be smarter than the rest of us here and get a credit card from somewhere else. ZERO STARS.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

0 is what they deserve from me. They have been a nightmare. They are a ripoff. They accrued some type of interest which they will not remove even though it was their fault for making a mistake with my payments which are always on time and I always pay more than the minimum. They will lie to you and tell you that they will take care of it and in the end they will waste your time. I also tried using the card for a small payment and they have been giving me a hassle for about a week. They have given me so much trouble that I had to order a new card in the mail which I already received for them to put a block on the card for no reason. I called them to find out what is going on and they just tell me the same thing, that it should be working fine. They are ridiculous. A big 0 for them!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Don't bother signing up to get your "50,000 American Airlines" points because it’s a big fat lie and a rip-off. They find every loophole they can to avoid giving you your points. I never got mine, even though I paid my fee and bill in the first 90 days like they required.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We made a claim on an item we ordered and was stolen at the mail box. We jumped through hoops with endless documentation’s and then denied. Our other credit cards would of been easy to work with and would of covered this loss. Their “perks” are all for show. Disappointing. If you have not open an account with them... don’t bother!

Barclays Bank Company Information