1.12/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 8, 2018

635 Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Barclays is the worst banking company I have ever dealt with. In December I finally acquired my card after sending in a scanned copy of my social (not secure). In January Barclays withdrew my remaining balance of $2,884 on my new 15" Macbook Pro. The money withdrew from my checking account even though I had previously setup automatic recurring payments. My wife and I were perplexed as to why our checking account had suddenly dropped. We have a new mortgage, car, and other monthly payments and can't afford to just drop nearly $3,000 here and there.

Monthly payments would have worked fine, but Barclays withdrew the remaining balance. I called them this morning at 8:00 am MST and am still on hold at 8:45 am. It's been 45 minutes and I'm still waiting to talk to a relationship manager who probably won't do anything about the error. I'm going to close my account with Barclays and rip up their card ASAP. This is the worst customer service I've ever had in my life.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

In June of 2017 due to the hurricane I was left with a roof issue. I had a leak and contacted my insurance co. They sent people over that caused mold to grow throughout my house. I got so sick and was harmed. I am a disabled veteran. My house is a VA loan. I can’t live there due to the mold. Going on 4 mo I have had to live and pay somewhere else. I’m still paying my mortgage and bills. Both places. I’m not behind and I’ve never been late. Not on anything. It is getting to be too much. I have MS and autoimmune issues. I called Barclays and Melinda let me know she was sorry. They can’t help. They shut my card down a couple of months ago. I’ve never been late. I asked to please lower the rate from 25% down or make a plan or perhaps a payoff of something less. I offered 2000. On a 3000 Card. She said, “No sorry can’t help you.”

I have had a very hard time. I don’t want to lose my home and I’m waiting on mediation. Barclays was heartless. I asked for a letter stating what she told me. Basically no help no matter what. She would not provide it. She also would not give me a physical address to send certified letters to. Until I begged and after 15 min on hold. This company is horrible. I don’t want to not pay but I can’t crawl. My funds are depleted. I served my county and earned my loan and I’m afraid I’m going to lose everything. I just need some help. Not a handout.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Received a letter stating that my 10,000 credit card had decrease by half because of a derogatory report on my credit report. I have had this card since 2008. Never late, always paid double what my payment is due. Call and told them this on my credit report has should have nothing to do with this Barclays. Explain that I am and have always been in good standing with them for 10yrs.

They stated they have the right to review my account anytime and do whatever they want to do with my credit line whether I am in good standing or not. Said they will reconsider and ask if I wanted a review. I said yes. They began asking me personal question on what do I need to spend the card on and why I guess the answers didn't satisfy them. Said they will not reinstate the my full credit line at this time. Told them, “So this how you treat your customers who have been with you 10 yrs?” They said, “Sorry," (sarcastically). "We have that right.” I will pay this card off. They are a very sorry company. Would not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I've had a Barclaycard with Apple rewards for over 3 years now. I ran up a hefty balance and became delinquent due to Hurricane Maria - I was stuck in the Caribbean unexpectedly for about a month. I reached out to Barclaycard for help to no avail while Capital One put me on a program to help me get back on track. A few months later I paid my balance in full when I got my bonus. The day after I paid in full Barclaycard lowered by credit line by two-thirds and gave me no option to challenge their decision. I see a lot of bad reviews on this credit card company and I now know why. Please beware!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was approved for a credit card with Apple Rewards from this bank back in October and I still have not received the card. I have already called 3 times. For the third time, I requested to talk to a manager and he is the worst person someone can be on the manager position. Does not seem to care the inconvenience customers experience. I said, "Can you check on the postal service," his answer was it is my responsibility and not the company's. I asked, "What if I don't received the card within the next 7 days," his response would have to order a new card which is another 7-10 days which makes no sense at all coz if I don't receive again they might ask to wait for a year.

Stupid company, stupid people. If we can't provide the service you offer, I don't understand why are you still functioning. Apple seriously needs to get another company for credit card. Wants people to undergo credit check but still can't provide a credit card. I feel pity on these people. Poor company, poor customer service, never dealing with this BS company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I contacted customer service on card to report damaged chip on my card. It was frequently refused in NYC stores at which I had frequently used it. Customer service was below horrible. But Barclays is the only card which awards Miles and More directly each month. Awful nasty phone call.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

To improve my credit score I generally always keep low balances on my credit cards. From time to time we all need to utilize our available funds for emergencies. Right after I paid Barclays Bank credit card to reduce the balance to be under 50% on my credit card, they reduce my credit limit to equal my new Balance. This action destroyed my credit score, hurting my chances of getting a new house. That $4500 dollars I paid them, could of went somewhere else to help my family after our house got destroyed by Hurricane Irma. Instead this bank took my money, cut my credit limit more than half, and without warning. Poor company practices.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Calling this bank a scam could be an understatement to me. I’ve no proper phrase to use to describe my disappointment. I got a credit card through Apple, purchased a phone under their interest free policy for 12 months which was supposed to close on 3 December. I paid off the balance in July. After paying off the balance, I purchased another phone under the same interest free policy since we’d agreed that they won’t charge interest if I make a purchase over 400. All of a sudden, my payments have been paying interest. I pay over $50 a month but the credit balance keeps growing.

When I called them for an explanation, their rude customer rep. told me I owe deferred interest on my first phone of almost $100. I explained to him that I cleared that amount in July way before the closing date and he told me that’s what he sees and will keep growing if I don’t clear my debt. I tried to explain the agreement of the deal but all seemed to fall on deaf ears. It’s been affecting my credit too, and I really feel extremely pissed. Decided to transfer the balance and once that’s complete will call them to close that card and trash it eventually. Don’t fall for their scams.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

This company is horrible. The customer service is the worst. Someone fraudulently used my card. I've been trying to resolve this for months. Every time I call Barclay, they say the last person that helped me didn't remove the fraudulent charges and they do not know why. Investigations take 5 to 7 days. Reported the Fraud in Oct. It's now Dec and it's still not resolved. They call me every two days telling me to pay the bill. This card was closed and people still are trying to use the card. 12/6 - Cameron ** is the last person in the Fraud Unit to help me. Barclay 866-408-4070 customer service stinks!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I fell behind on my Barclaycard account, and later agreed through its designated attorneys to a settlement. It is now more than three months since that time, and my credit report still shows I owe the balance, less the settlement. When I called to complain, I was told it is this horrible bank's policy to keep hurting former customers in this way. My loan officer (not for Barclays; for a legitimate, honest lender) tells me this is illegal. I have sent a formal complaint to the Delaware Banking regulators requesting that the bank be ordered to follow the law and that economic sanctions be placed on it. Here's the bottom line: DO NOT EVER, EVER DEAL WITH BARCLAYS BANK IN ANY WAY. It is an unethical, criminal organization. Avoid it as you would the mafia.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I originally opened this card as a Travelocity Visa. I kept it on hand and hardly used it. I just kept it in case of emergency. I used it every few months just to keep it going. Because I barely used it, I would pay it off right away after using it to avoid forgetting. I did not opt for paperless billing just for a backup. Last year I received notice that my account would be Barclaycard services Mastercard. I had hoped this would be a good company... But, BOY WAS I WRONG!

Wednesday November 22nd on Thanksgiving Eve I received a call that my account was past due and I needed to make a payment. So I freaked out! I had not received a statement in quite some time and I thought it was because when I used the card in October I had paid off the balance, but, apparently my payment did not go through. When I called to see what was going on, they said they could not access my account "the system was down and to please call back in an hour."

Well that was 10 account managers and 3 business days later. I have begged to speak to a supervisor or someone that can actually access my account, but, to no avail. I am now awaiting a phone call from a supervisor... Hmmm it's been since Friday and it's now Monday, and I called again and what do you know the system is still down and they can't access my account, they can of course transfer me to someone else and I can wait on hold with my cell phone minutes yet again so I can be told they can't access my account. I have honestly never heard of anything so dang crazy. This company is horrible and I will never use my card again. The calls keep coming and now today an email that I am past due, but yet, they can't access my account. STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Barclays Bank sucks!!! I open an account with Barclays through Apple years ago to purchase a computer for my daughter. It was the only time I ever used it and I paid it off in a couple of years. Eventually the account was closed. About 3 years ago my ex-wife applied for and opened a new account in my name and without my knowledge. I'm not sure how she did it, probably online. Of course she would have had knowledge of my name, SSN, and address.

Barclays apparently does zero verification on applications as they sent her a credit card with a $2K limit which she immediately maxed out. I only found out about it a few months later when the account showed up on my credit report as late. Barclays policy appears to shift the burden of proof on to the consumer, guilty until proven innocent. I disputed the account numerous times and all I ever get was boilerplate letters saying the account is mine and I am responsible for it. Their view is since they have my name, SSN, and (former) address it must be my account. I obviously flat refuse to pay the account, if I do it would mean I am covering their losses for their lack of due-diligence. I will not do this.

Eventually they turned the account over to Midland Credit Management, a scumbag collection agency. Midland also does business as Midland Funding LLC, Asset Acceptance LLC, Encore Capital Group, Midland Acquisition Corp, Midland Acquisitions Corp and MRC Receivables Corp. This should tell you something about them right there. I have disputed this account with Midland at least 10 times but their view is the same as Barclays, I am guilty until proven innocent. These two are doing absolutely NOTHING to combat identify theft! They are the worse, avoid Barclays like the plague!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I was booking a flight on the internet through Priceline, just before pay off tickets I was offered 100 discount on current booking getting the Priceline MasterCard Barclay. After they got me to input all the personal info requested it just bounce me right off. Never got the discount but they already got me with the Barclay Card. Called Priceline about the issue. They referred me to Barclay bank. It was a nightmare to get in contact with a live person at Barclay customer service, they would put on automated system forever and when finally got a live person, they were the most rudest, most disrespectful customer service ever. When tried to explain the situation some would even hang up on me. Finally I said, "Look, I just want to cancel this card because I don’t need it." Well to this day trying to cancel the card has been a nightmare. They tell is cancel but I’m still receiving emails of it being active. Stay away from this trap.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Received an alert from credit agency. Barclays Bank made a hard inquiry under management name on all 3 credit companies, which lowered my credit score. Definitely did not apply for any credit with this bank and have called them repeatedly on toll-free number to no avail as cannot get live person. Did not leave message on recording as felt this is not protocol for most reputable banks. Believe this bank or someone is fraudulently trying to open credit under my name. Have alerted all credit reporting agencies, but am upset there is no resolution nor can talk to someone there and after reading reviews here, appears they operate unethically at best.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

On October 28th 2017 I was notified by Credit Karma that an account had been opened in my name. Credit Karma provided me with a phone number to call the creditor "Barclay Bank" and investigate this account which I did immediately. It turns out that Barclay Bank allowed a Fraudulent account to be opened in my name even though I live over a thousand miles away from the application information provided by the suspect. Barclay did not call me to confirm this fraudulent account or notify me in any way. I had to pay TransUnion to freeze my credit, Called the police, called the FBI, drove all over town to fax papers, reports, filed statements at the local police department and now suffer the feeling of being victimized.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

For the second time in one year Barclaycard has started charging me for late charges and extra interest on payments they had already received from my bank. According to my bank, Barclay only accepts check payments from banks as opposed to electronic payments. I have my bank automatically send my payment every month by the due date. Every month Barclaycard calls me to say they haven't received payment and late fees have been applied. Every month I check my bank account to find that not only was the payment made but the check was cashed!

Then I have to go through all the hoops to get proof to them that they were paid and to have fees reversed. Their excuse: the processing of the payment takes 5 to 10 days and if I sent my payment in at least 7 days before the due date I could avoid the late fees! We go around like this every month until the bill Is paid off. Just another way for them to steal money from people who don't pay attention to their accounts! I will be canceling this card.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I had not received a Barclays statement for one month and was charged $27 late fee. Then it happened again one month later and was again charged a late fee plus interest. I have been at the same address for 15 years and took this up with the USPS and they said they would be extra careful that the statement was delivered. Well, when it happened the second time I knew it was Barclays wanting to make $$ on me. I am paying off my balance and will not use this card again as I feel Barclays is the fault here and not the USPS.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have had this card for at least 5 years, never been late, always pd over the minimum except for a couple of months this summer when I changed jobs. They reduced my credit limit causing my credit score to drop. This is the second time they have done this to me. I have no late payments ever, anywhere. When reading the reviews I discovered they are doing this to others as well. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this card. I'm paying it off and dropping it.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Called Barclays Credit Dept: I was approved 9/17 for the 30-day offer of free credit for 1-year on the purchase of the iPhone 8X. When I couldn’t take advantage of the free interest offer before the 30 day offer period was up because the iPhone 8X wouldn't be available for pre-order until 10/2, I asked if the offer was being extended. The response was no so I asked that the acct be closed because I only opened to take advantage of the iPhone 8 interest/free offer.

The iPhone 8X is now available so I re-applied last night to take advantage of the 1-year interest free offer & was immediately turned down. I contacted the Credit Dept to find out why I was approved 5 weeks ago, didn’t charge anything on the card, & closed the acct as I only opened it for the iPhone purchase. The Barclays Credit Dept Rep explained that my previous request had automatically been approved by computer & my recent request was denied by computer because I had already been approved for a card 5 weeks ago & it didn’t matter that I closed the acct without ever using the card.

She said she’d manually review my request & my credit report. She looked at my credit report & started listing credit cards & their balances & that she couldn’t approve my application. I commented that my ratio of credit card use in relationship to available credit is high but I am currently paying my bills & have an excellent credit history.

She then started asking me why my balances were so high, what was I charging, why was I charging, etc. I told her that she could decide the fate of my application but what I charge & my reasons why I carry balances is none of anyone’s business but my own. She repeatedly asked her questions & I continued not to answer. The ironic thing is that I have Juniper/Barclays credit card with a balance & have had the card for years. I finally got so angry at her line of questioning that I told her to close my Juniper/Barclays credit card acct, I would pay off the balance & I wanted to speak with a manager.

The manager gets on the phone & basically said the Rep’s questions were standard Barclays’ procedure when reviewing a credit application. I told him that I had never been grilled over my finances by any company when applying for any type of credit. In fact, I had just been approved for a used car loan at a low rate of interest without any type of interrogation. When we ended the called he gave the perfunctory, “Is there anything else we can help you with today? No, okay then. Have a nice day.” I almost screamed before I hung up.

Is insulting, angering & questioning a person’s integrity Barclays’ idea of good customer service? Not that they were making millions of dollars off me & my credit card interest but as I pay down my Juniper/Barclays card & the balance decreases, they will be collecting less & less interest on what I currently owe &, of course, will not be collecting interest on what could have been future charges. Bad business, Barclays, especially since I’ve now posted a detailed account of my experience.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Applied online for an LLBean VISA card offered through Barclays Bank. Got rejected within a few hours. I have excellent credit and haven't moved in years so I was surprised. Called customer service and they informed me that there was an identification issue and that I needed to snail mail to them a copy of both sides of my social security card, drivers license and a utility bill. Not something I wanted to do for security reasons. I asked what the issue with identification was and they (spoke to 5 different people at different times) told me there was no way they could tell. Their only solution was to mail in the documentation forms. I asked if I could attach copies of the forms to their secure website but that was not acceptable. Mail was the only way. I inquired whose attention it went to and the answer was simply a PO Box. I asked how I could trace the status of my application and they said you can't.

Others have already spoken to the fact that paperwork gets lost or documents are deemed unacceptable - and you have no recourse. I would suggest LLBean find an alternate credit card company to associate themselves with. Barclays is anything but customer focused. They act like they're doing you some huge favor. I gave up on the application. A friend of mine applied online and their application went through instantly, so something triggered my rejection. I guess I'll never know since Barclays seems ignorant of why also.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We made an overpayment to this company and instead of them refunding the money overpaid, they did some type of payment adjustment and are giving us non exact information as to where the money went. They never contacted us regarding the overpayment. However there is a "payment adjustment" on the account but they cannot give us any information... Account number, name, place where this money was sent to. It's been over 2 months now and we still have not gotten the overpayment refunded. And no answers as to where it was applied.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I've read more than a dozen reviews of Barclay Rewards MasterCard, and each one describes a similar issue I've had with this company. Although I've always carried a monthly balance, I've never missed a payment in the five years I've had this card, and always pay double the minimum due. Because of a recent illness in which I was hospitalized, my balance due increased to about 30 percent of my $10,000 credit line. As a result, Barclays immediately reduced my credit line more than 50 percent, causing my credit score to tumble. It's clear to me that this company lures in folks with fairly decent credit scores, and then drops the hammer in times of need. CS is helpful but powerless, and supervisors extremely rude. Even with a high interest rate (26.99) I counted on this card in times of need, and Barclays didn't give a damn. I wouldn't recommend this card to my worst enemy.

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2017

on Wednesday I have sent them color and black & white copy of requested documents again to see may be on ewill work for them and next day I have received a call that every thing is clear now and I can use my credit card. And I was able to pay my card online after few hours. Thanks but I think they should offer just prepaid cards credit card seems too much for them to offer.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have applied for this card and application was accepted. First month I had just 20 dollars balance. Next month I shop online and there they block my account. Asking me to call them. When I call they asked for bank statement OR Utility bill and Identification card copy and social security card copy. I was surprised. Never any credit card company asked me for these documents ever. And they told me, “We do not have any fax number. You have to send us via regular mail.” So I spend 7 dollars to send these documents through trackable mail. No one called me after 10 days. I call them and they told me ID card copy and social security copy are not readable. I have to send again. This time she told me a fax number So I sent right away and fax through my computer. So scan id card and social security card to my computer and fax them.

After waiting for 10 days again I call them and this time same thing. “Your id card and social security card numbers are not readable." I told them not only me second time. Other family members also saw those copies and were able to read. She said, “You must go to Walmart. Buy a new ink cartridge and make better copies. Then I recalled I did not print. I just scan both things and there must be something wrong on their side of printer. Which was not able to print faxed pages well. So now I am sick and tired feeling they just do not want to continue their services to me. If instead of me they see a ** woman in id pic they might not say to submit same documents again and again. Now I just can send them the originals if copies are not readable for them but ID and social security cards are normal card not Braille cards, so they can feel and read with touch. They are saying they can not read name and number on my copies. I am feeling they have problem with sight. Maybe changing eyeglasses will work.

It cause me too much frustration because I have 100% payment record and since they are not sending me paper statement I am not able to see what is the balance and I can not pay online. When I say this thing to that customer service lady she said, “You can go to the bank and get a checkbook and mail us payment.” I said, "Why should I spend money to buy checkbook and postage when I can do online for free?" No apologies for inconvenience or any other word of empathy. Just treating customers with humiliation. I will not recommend this card to anyone. Poor and cheap credit card company which has no respect for their customers.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I regret opening this Barclaycard account! After many years as a loyal account holder with another bank I decided to take advantage of a balance transfer offer from Barclays to save on interest charges with my other credit accounts. Barclays botched the transaction in a major way, essentially doubling it and putting me about $10,000 over my credit limit of $10,000. Now you would think they would have realized that doubling a $10,000 transaction on a $10,000 credit line would put the borrower $10,000 over the limit, but they did it anyway.

I called Barclays less than 24 hours after the botched transaction expecting a helpful representative to take care of the mistake right away without any problem and was essentially told in a very rude way that there is nothing they can do. This is not a good start. They botched my first transaction and now I'm being treated rudely. I asked for a supervisor and was told by rep that supervisor would just tell me the same thing. Well she was right. Instead of apologizing for the problem and offering to correct it, the "supervisor" rudely told me there is nothing they can do. He kept interrupting me and talking over me. I'm not used to being treated like this by "professionals." Stay away from Barclays! Wish I had seen the 1 star online rating before opening this account.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Currently I am seeking an attorney interested in going after this completely unethical company. I would appreciate any comment to help with this effort. They have single-handedly ruined my credit. Every few months they lower my credit limit which pushes me to the limit of my credit and causes my credit score to drop. I have never missed a single payment, for that matter always pay way over the due amount but still they lower my score. When I started with them my score was 712, now it is 686. It was going up but since Barclays started hitting me with the credit limit it has been steadily dropping. Sure, they have a decent interest rate but get ready, it is as if they are intentionally trying to ruin my creditworthiness. Horrible company.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Applied for card for JetBlue purchase and to get the benefits... 4 months later still couldn't get approval or card despite having perfect credit. They asked for copies of SS card, Driver's license, Passport, utility bill, bank statements to issue a credit card despite the fact that they KNEW exactly who was applying. Name, SS and address on application, credit report, and JetBlue account, employment all matched. Phone # is listed and verifiable. With some effort spoke to office of the president customer service, they were as incompetent, uninformed and useless.

NO ONE could or would process my application and they said for the rest of my life they would not process an application until this one was denied or approved. NEVER been denied a credit card and have a perfect credit record (820 rating). Absolutely the WORST customer service ever, no one has the authority to do anything, all decisions are computerized with no common sense used.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Tried to make a charge. For no reason they blocked my card. Called Customer Service. They are argumentative, not helpful, 40 minutes for a supervisor, and I am still talking to them without the issue being resolved. I even went through there text verification process, but to no avail yet. Their excuse is that the website that I was placing an order at was questionable... bottom line my card is still blocked. I'm not a new customer and have never been late on a payment with anyone anywhere. For the record I am now on hold with a supervisor who said she would just be a moment. Heading towards an hour now...

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Customer service varies from excellent to indifferent. Very few staff visible in the bank premises. Everything is automated and therefore impersonal. Staff from Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial, if you can locate them, are helpful but more often than not, conspicuous by their absence.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

What can I write that hasn't already been said? During the application process for a card there is ZERO communication from Barclays via e-mail, phone, etc. On their website, there is no customer service number for applications, only current cardholders. When they eventually send information via the post office, they are not specific with the documents required and what will be accepted. When I submitted a utility bill, they informed me that wouldn't be accepted. Eventually they said I could send in a copy of my lease to verify my address. After calling back, the next customer service rep said a lease would not be accepted. I cannot stress how horrible communication is at this company. I would highly recommend applying for a credit card with a company that actually knows what they're doing.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I stayed at Best Western Plus during busy season. Loud neighbors. Bed wasn't fixed. Opened dispute and Ring made it sound like I was the issue. My account was in good standing, 750 score, all bills paid. They sent me threatening letters to pay all interest! Wow. Zeroed my BALANCES out and cancelled both Barclay Ring and CashForward cards. No interest for them!!!

Barclays Bank/Juniper Financial Company Information

www.barclaycardus.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use