1.98/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 12, 2018

43 SoFi Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2018

Please DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH SOFI.COM. With an excellent credit and all the required documentation, I had to wait for almost four weeks only for them to decline my application. I applied to LightStream (a subsidiary of SunTrust bank) and I was approved for a higher amount and lower interest rate within 24 hours. Their customer services is really poor as well.

Original review: April 15, 2018

After several frustrating phone calls with SoFi, they have decided to decline my application. Initially, I was offered only 10+ year terms at rates much higher than the average of my current student loans. They have the most awful customer service, and I feel like I've wasted a lot of time dealing with them. I'm paid ahead on my student loans by over a year and a half and have never missed a payment on my credit card. They've had to request extra documents on several occasions and can't seem to get past my commission-based income, as I'm a general dentist. They also asked me to consent to a hard credit inquire 3 times, blaming technical issues for not seeing that I consented twice at the end of March.

My representative called me earlier today (after never responding to the message I sent him on April 6) asking to consent yet again and said they have not yet completed a hard credit check. After sorting out their technical issues (realizing that I had consented and that they had run my hard credit check back in March), SoFi (not my representative) sent me an email about being declined. I would not recommend SoFi for anyone looking to refinance their student loans or any other loans.

Get expert buying tips about Student Loan Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2018

All of what I’m about to say are facts and no exaggerations or emotions involved. Doing this to save others. I recently applied to refi my student loans. Was told I’m the perfect candidate. Went through the pain of getting them all the documents they needed to prove I’m salaried at over 250k/yr (pay stubs and w2s prices this) my Experian FICO was 741 and I had over 190k in liquid assets (they don’t take this into consideration apparently which seems absurd as it's relevant to risk assessment).

A few days later no call. Just an email saying I’m denied for the most insane reason. Too many credit inquiries. I kid you not. Called in and was put on hold 7 times before a “manager” came on. This manager's name was Dan from customer service. He was terrible. Would not give me his phone number, full name, or his boss’ name after my repeated attempts. He kept trying to pawn me off by saying, "We will look into it and give you a call. I promise sir." I know how they work and was confident they wouldn’t. I was promised to get a call and emails within 48 hours from Dan himself. Never got them and it’s 5 days later. Think about that... They try to be a millennial based business with their marketing platform, community events etc but failed the most important aspect... good service and intelligent employees. Don’t waste your time. Was approved same day with Earnest AND better rate.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have been receiving invitations in the mail from SoFi to apply. So I finally applied for a personal loan. 796 credit score, College grad, Good income. 7 years on the same job. Own my home. No debt. Last salary detail, and state ID uploaded along with the application. SoFi pre-approved me with a 7.5% interest rate. Three days later, I get an email that my application was denied.

So I called their customer service to know why. I was told that they could not verify my income. How is that possible? The company I work for is not small. But all their representative could tell me was that they use external service to verify income. Nothing else I said mattered after that to try to establish why, or to try to help them get the info they need. People work hard for their credit history. SoFi should not be denying a perfectly qualified applicant, based on some flimsy reason.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Decided to consolidate and refinance 3 separate student loans that my wife and I have been paying for loans taken out to pay for our boys college tuition. At first the online application process look easy enough. But after 3+ weeks of back and forth repeated requests for the SAME financial documents, I have given up trying to work with these folks. I have a good income, a 800+ credit score (my wife is even higher than mine), yet this firm is unable to articulate what it is they need to complete this application. I have spend HOURS on multiple calls with their support line (always friendly people but apparently unable to answer even the most basic questions).

Every call has resulted in a different documentation requests (which we have followed to the letter), requests asking for the SAME financial documents, and we keep going round-and-round with no resolution. We have given up at this point, and are going with a competitor. Buying a house was less of a hassle than this $60K loan consolidation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SoFi?

Original review: April 5, 2018

Where do I even begin. Over the 15 years or so that I’ve established credit, to include at least 5 credit cards, 3 personal loans, 10 auto loans, and a mortgage, I have never experienced such a ludicrous credit application process. Between mass confusion over the dates of my paycheck, an inability to understand the nature of overtime pay, and myriad other issues that have never cropped up in any other credit application I’ve made, I am completely fed up. In the end, after 13 days of insanity, I was “conditionally approved” for a fraction of my preapproval since they “couldn’t verify the income stated on my application”. Why has every other lender I’ve ever used understood my income? Stay far away from this company if you value your sanity.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I was fully under the impression that my loan was Simple interest. My customer service representative could not answer any of my simple questions, she had to continue to place me on hold and ask someone else. I wanted to know if my loan was Simple interest or Compound interest. This is not a good loan. It is frankly another Credit card to pay off your current credit cards. Compound interest is simply put INTEREST ON INTEREST and is the worst type of loan. DO NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I started my process for a personal loan of 77k on 3/19/18. Sent in the 3 required documents and was asked for my last pay stub for 2017 which I provided on 3/20/18. 3/21/18 I was notified that my loan was approved & on 3/22/18 my documents were ready to sign but I waited to sign them because the process seemed too easy and I was concerned so I checked into SoFi a little deeper. After reading more about SoFi good & bad I decided to proceed and signed my docs on 3/23/18. On 3/24/18 my status changed and said I’d get a call from SoFi before funding took place. I didn’t get a call so I called them on 3/25/18 & was told that the loan was already in the funding process & in my case a phone call wasn’t necessary which I’m not sure why but went with it. Today on 3/27/18 I have received my funds. Very simple & easy for me.

Original review: March 23, 2018

There was an error with my processing paperwork. Not filled out by me but by my previous servicer and SoFi. My loan did not disperse for 7 weeks and SoFi charged me interest on my loan which means I got doubled charged from both loans. How can that be? I shouldn't be paying double interest on both loans if the money has not been moved. I talked to reps, they gave me a ridiculous explanation. I foresee paying double interest for up to 5 days, but not 7 weeks. I wrote the CEO. I got one phone call from a rep. Attempted to call back and got the main line. I don't want to talk to a new person each time.

I am also waiting for my outstanding balance to be moved since I made 2 payments to my previous loan servicer. Look, it is 4 months since "transferring my loan" and I am still waiting on my extra payments to be moved to my loan. I am still paying interest on that principal since it has been applied. SoFi is ridiculous. They should have rectify the situation. How many people are they making money off from doing this? $250 may not be much to one person, but if they do it to 200 people... Then it adds up. I look forward to transferring my loan asap.

Original review: March 16, 2018

SoFi has sent me mailer after mailer encouraging me to apply for a loan with them. I applied online for a personal loan (they have a $10,000 minimum loan amount) which I was pre-approved for. After that, I took a two-week vacation and left my app pending. During that time I received numerous text messages and emails from them reminding me that I had been pre-approved and encouraging me to complete the application process. I did so around the end of February of 2018, providing the documentation they required. Last two years tax returns, last 5 pay stubs, and a copy of the front and back of my driver's license. They also required employment information such as my supervisor's name and contact information, which I provided. After that, they asked me for more pay stubs as well as some sort of employment verification code "employer name and code and salary key" which I guess is linked up to ADP.

My company did not use this service. After that they contacted my supervisor twice via phone and twice via email, all asking for confirmation of employment and gross income. He confirmed all four times. My loan app was then under review for 2-4 days, supposedly. One week later I began contacting them to hear the status (3 total contacts from me). Their only reply was that they weren't sure the status as it was still under review. After a total of two weeks (14 days, March 16, 2018), I was finally emailed that they were unable to grant my loan and they were sorry. Their reasoning was that my ratio of balance to credit line on my current accounts was too high and my credit score of 691 was too low. I understand this is an issue, however, I was pre-approved even with those factors in mind. My point is that if those are the limiting factors that prevented my approval then why did it take so long for them to make a decision.

It was no sweat off their backs but it was a waste of time for me. Here is my response to their denial email. It's very sarcastic but I believe it gets my point across and sums it up: "Great, well thank you for wasting so much of my time and effort in asking me to provide you the information and documents that you needed. And thank you for hassling me about completing my loan application for weeks after I initially was pre-approved. Thank you for the dozens of fliers that you sent to my mailbox encouraging me to apply. Thank you for causing me to reach on numerous occasions to find out the status of my loan as I was left in the dark. Your company is bogus. People who meet the "requirements" for your loan approval likely don't need a loan in the first place.

I'm not sure what your company's motivation is but perhaps you can refrain from wasting peoples time in the future. My experience with SoFi matches a majority of the reviews posted online about your company: Strongly selling your product to people and then requiring a significant amount of documentation and investigation, only to deny. Again, thank you for nothing. I'll be sure to write a review."

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I applied for a mortgage very small on a large home that I own free and clear. I've never seen such incompetence in finance. Took more than three weeks and they couldn't get it done in time of the rate lock. Now rate's much higher. Not worth it. Very very inexperienced on all front. Same paperwork three times.

SoFi response

Hello Pat, thank you for telling us about your experience. We recognize that we did not meet our customer service goals with your interactions and application. We regret any inconvenience and hope you'll reconsider SoFi in the future.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I am an owner in several businesses and SoFi is constantly marketing to me so when I needed to purchase some new equipment for another venture I decided to try them for financing. This process was humiliating and embarrassing. I submitted years of documents for both businesses as well as my personal info and at a certain point was in too deep to stop so kept providing info even when they asked for items I submitted earlier. In spite a credit score just below 800 they declined the loan... This was after 3 weeks of back and forth with new documents they requested. Finally received a call from customer service apologizing for requesting documents that were not even available for a business. Declined the next day. Thanks. I turned to Marcus from Goldman Sachs which has also marketed to me and was approved in less than 12 hours with very little documentation. Would definitely not recommend SOFI.

SoFi response

Lorin, thanks so much for sharing. SoFi does not offer business loans at this time. We regret any frustration or inconvenience that may have occurred during your application process and we will let everyone know if we are able to expand our loans to businesses.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My husband is part of a professional organization that received a special offer for refinancing student loans and chose to go through this process for his last remaining student loan because the offered organizational bonus would have saved between $200-$300 on the remaining life of the loan. I signed as a cosigner to get an even better rate (we both have credit scores in the high 800s, and the loan amount was less than $7K).

To make a long story short, this company is a good idea in theory, but needs substantially better-trained employees and better clarity about various policies. They repeatedly communicated on the phone that they had all materials they needed to process the loan, but then failed to process it within their unpublicized 60 day time limit. A customer service person acknowledged we had been given bad information and the failure was their fault, but that we would have to start the application over from scratch (and thus have a 2nd hard credit pull for each of us), with no guarantee that they would process things correctly this time.

I don't know if this place is so new that they just don't have their act together, or if they decided they wouldn't be making enough $$ of my husband's refinance and decided to not process it or what, but it was a giant, unprofessional waste of time. I cannot imagine working with this place over the course of a loan would be better or a positive experience in general.

SoFi response

Hey Amy, thanks for sharing your experience. Here at SoFi we strive to provide exceptional customer service, and we did not meet our goal during your application. We are investigating this further to make sure this does not happen again. We hope you'll give us another chance soon.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I read all the reviews, and while thinking I probably wouldn’t qualify because my CC debt is so high and have only decent credit I decided to try anyway. I needed to consolidate about $40K into a lower interest rate. To my surprise- I was approved and now there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 9 days from initial application to funds in my bank account and am delighted to say am now saving $700 a month in payments. I’m ecstatic. :)

I read a lot of reviews saying they made 6 figures with credit in the 800s and didn’t get approved. I have a score of 711 with income less than $80K/yr with $40K in debt and my experience was SUPER positive. I have never (and I mean NEVER) been late on a payment so I think that has a lot to do with it. Don’t let negative reviews stop you from trying. With the wealth management, unemployment insurance, and no fees involved I am overjoyed to have gotten a loan with them. Nothing but super great things to say about them. They are my financial saving grace!

SoFi response

Thanks so much for sharing Rachel! We're so pleased to have you as a part of the SoFi community.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Be careful that you would get tricked by their initial low interest rate. After sending after application, they will increase your APR by some "reasonable" reasons. Also, their refer program is to get more people in to pay more interest costs by sending you some low bonus. Say, you use a refer link from your friend from their website. So you apply for $10,000 loan, and they would give you $100 as bonus since you are referred by your friend. But then your interest rate would jump to 11%. If you do not use their refer link, you could get only 8% interest rate. By such a program, then people could get tricked to pay extra $1200 due to the higher interest rate.

SoFi response

Hey Hogan, thanks for sharing your concerns. When someone first starts an application with SoFi, they receive a pre-qualified offer based on some basic information stated and a "soft" credit pull. This offer is not affected by how someone is introduced to SoFi. Once an applicant chooses to move forward, SoFi will verify the stated information from the pre-qualification stage. If we are unable to confirm this information, a rate may change. Hope this helps.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Applied for a personal loan was denied. My credit score was over 700. Was told I had too many obligations... Ok SoFi, I understand, but you have a lot of negative reviews which you should be aware of...it will affect you in long run. I will apply somewhere else. Goodbye SoFi.

SoFi response

Hey Eddie, we recognize these frustrations. When SoFi considers offering a Personal Loan, we do consider all other credit obligations and the cost of living in your area. Sometimes those considerations result in the decision that SoFi is not the right fit at the current time. Thanks so much for your interest in SoFi.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Complete waste of time for nearly six months of submitting and resubmitting documents - when they asked for 5 years of back income tax statements - had enough of this process as stated by others' comments on this site that it would have been easier to get a $10 million commercial loan. Absolutely ridiculous experience and each person I talked to said it was being processed but nothing ever happen. I too now believe it is just a front to get as much personal data collection as possible.

SoFi response

Hey Jolyn, thanks for sharing your feedback. We're sad to hear about your experience. We strive to provide a quick and easy application process, and did not meet our goal this time. We appreciate you reaching out and will work to improve. We hope you'll reconsider SoFi in the future.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I submitted an application through SoFi after getting bombarded with offers via email and snail mail from this company. I provided my personal identifiable information - PII (e.g., driver’s license and proof of income) as requested. My application was declined, because couldn't verify my income. I asked to speak with a manager and I couldn’t even get a reason why I was declined. I provided numerous paychecks and yet can’t verify my income. No one called me asking, "Can you provide a letter from HR???" NOTHING!!!! Is this the customer service you give? Even the Manager said, "I should have qualified”! I provided enough documentation of past two years and current of income and yet couldn't give me an answer except "We apologize for this inconvenience".

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I highly recommend refinancing your student loans with SoFi! Great rates, incredible customer service, awesome community events so you can hang out (for free!) at great restaurants and venues with other people in the SoFi network, killer benefits and lifetime job placement, etc. We met the stringent requirements - high credit scores and high income (low 800s and $160K+). Took three tries to get the right package so we could be approved - call and they will walk you through it. We did end up going with a variable rate, and it has gone up about 1% in two years. There is a cap. After refinancing November 2014 (total of $187,000), my husband and I saved hundreds per month and for the first time, our balances actually went down the last two years - we paid off $20,000 instead of slightly increasing annually. They are outstanding!

Resolution response: Dec. 27, 2017

Before this was published I was contacted again by SOFI via the office of the CEO and that actually resolved my issue and were very apologetic about the process and how they plan on improving things moving forward. I tried to delete the review as I think its only fair they owned up to their failures and explained why it was a more difficult application to process. I would totally recommend them based on the fact they cared to go the extra mile to resolve the issue.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have nearly 800 credit score, insanely great verified income via my job and real estate holdings which was verified every which way they could have asked. I gave them so many documents. You'd think I was applying for a $10M loan. I actually think a $10M commercial loan is easier to obtain. I was still asked to re-submit docs that were irrelevant to my loan. I e-mailed the CEO via the website and was called back within an hour by basically another Customer Support rep who claims he's from the office of the CEO. This is just a really good sales tactic for people who are frustrated. Nothing was done or accomplished. In the end I'm pulling my application as they are only collecting your data.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I submitted a credit application to SoFi after being referred by LendingTree. I provided all the documentation requested right away and I got a turn down, even though when talking to their so called credit analyst before the turn down they said they don't see why it would go through. It all looks good. After the turn down I was told my income did not add up even though my mortgage company, bank, and other lending institutions have and do say that my pay adds up. I asked the person on the phone how they calculate it and what was the number they came up with, he said, "I can not tell you that and I am not sure how they calculate the number. All I know is you are way way off."

That is completely BS and my pay does add up. Maybe they don't know how to count, add or subtract. The fact they could tell me how much I was off or how they calculated my income is crazy, especially since they are saying I fraudulently filled out the ad with my income. I would not recommend my worst enemy deal with a company this shady.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was refinancing & consolidating student loans of our daughter's and get 22 days into the project and were told that they cannot do that type of loan because of the style (Sallie Mae & Navient) they are. Over the 22 days I talked to 3 people at SoFi who never once stated any of that all the while they were wanting more & more information because we are a small business owner of 34 years and they needed tax returns, income verification, etc. They are clueless in the communication aspect with a client and until I demanded to speak to a manager never really got the whole story. Then I got the corporate B.S. line of "we apologize and will look into it". And we have a flawless credit report and a credit score hovering around 800!

Word to the wise; Do not use this company, especially if you are a small business owner. They are clueless, inadequately trained & managed. I do not blame "the front line people" rather the management of this poorly run company. Do not be sucked in by their commercials & advertising speaking of ease of use! They are nowhere close to easy to deal with & should not be trusted.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

My issue with SoFi is very similar to other complaints on this review board - I submitted an application through SoFi after getting bombarded with offers via email and snail mail from this company. I provided my personal identifiable information - PII (e.g., driver’s license and proof of income) as requested. My application was declined, but I haven’t received a solid reason why.

I’ve contacted them twice; the first time I contacted SoFi (after the loan was decline), customer service put me on hold, then they hung up after 30 min. The second time I contacted it, I was put on hold for 30 minutes - I finally decided it was wasted effort. Prior to this loan application, I HAD a FICO Score of 761, which may be impacted by the hard credit pulled by Sofi.

I could've easily received a loan approval from other lenders but decided to go with SoFi based on the low interest rate advertise. However, feel the company has misled me and many others. I'm curious if it's profiting off the information (PII) it's collecting from all its applicants. SoFi appears to be operating under deceptive practices - hopefully, an investigation is open against them soon to prevent them from impacting others.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Don't apply if you had a bankruptcy - 8 years ago I had a fiance, massive credit, and soon massive debt. Luckily my relationship blew apart and I pulled the ripcord. Chapter 7 allowed me to see in HD again, and getting rid of the woman, but anyway 8 years ago I BK'd. Solo or whatever their name should state. Don't apply if you had a BK ever. Waste of time.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

So everything was great when I first consolidated my federal and private loans. SoFi could not wait to cash in on my business. A year later, I needed to refinance unfortunately. Oh yes, refinance. I call them and they give me the runaround - spoke to 6 people all telling me something different and it led to me having to go back online to refinance through their website. Did that - yes it's over right? Wrong. Did not hear from wonderful SoFi so gave them a call. Their customer service is more concerned with me having verifying old and new addresses and a second email address they have but that I have no knowledge of than helping me to refinance my loan to a payment I can afford.

Where is the awesome customer service they brag about in this behavior? I'm told I need to go back online and apply a second time to refinance - I said, “Hell no. Let me speak to a manager.” Waited about 10 minutes - shocker a manager is not available to take your call. The child from customer service asks me, “What do you want to do?” I said to myself - "You are going to stop wasting your time and refinance with a company that treats you like a person and not a money tree or a number or an idiot." And I haven't looked back. Eat my dust SoFi!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

If you don't have a credit score of over 800. Don't waste your time with this company. I applied for the minimum loan amount of 5,000 to consolidate (4) high interest Capital One accounts after receiving a pre-qualified/pre-screened offer in the mail. The Company strung me along for weeks asking for additional documents and proofs like utility bills, statements and acknowledgments I had to obtain and send them. This high tech loan processing? I spoke to customer service over this time period and they indicated to me that the application would have been declined after the credit report was pulled if it did not meet certain credit worthy standards.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

My Granddaughter applied to refinance her student loan with me as the co-signer. I was rejected so I called and learned that despite my income, excellent credit score, and lack of debt, they determined that I had a high debt to income ratio. They could not tell me how they calculate it or what the number is. I then used three different online calculators and my front end and back end DTRs ranged from 11% to 15%. So SoFi's secret formula is a mystery and I am unable to assist my granddaughter, keeping her locked into a high interest rate.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I currently work abroad. Before I applied for student loan refi, I contacted SoFi and described my circumstances in detail and that I have foreign income. They purportedly double-checked all the requirements and encouraged me to apply. I did. Then, there was a glitch and their standard documents requests didn’t fit my profile. SoFi amended the documents list for me and requested I attach the documents that fit my foreign address and income. I did. They hard pulled my credit. And then denied me based on my residency abroad and foreign income. Not only did they waste my time but I am angry they hard pulled my credit and there is a credit denial on my record now.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I applied with SoFi because they had good rates and great reviews (see the ratings on this site). My experience, however, was the polar opposite. It started with income verification. The initial request was to upload pay stubs. I did so, and got a notification that my pay stubs weren't accepted since it had orientation listed as part of my pay. As I was a newly licensed RN, I had no other kind of pay. After calling to let them know this, they said I needed an income verification from the employer. I went and got this and uploaded it.

A few days later, I got notification that my original loan statements were now too old and I needed to upload new versions of those. I did that. Then notification that my co-signer's pay stubs were too old and we needed new versions of those. Took a few days to get those (got notification on a Friday) and those were uploaded. A week later, I got notification that I needed to upload my W2 from last year. It took a phone call to clarify what they already knew based on a previous conversation with them that I did not have a W2 as I was a newly licensed RN who just started working. They put me on hold and looked over my paperwork. Turns out, the income letter they already had was good enough.

Shortly thereafter, guess what... They need new pay stubs from me since the others were too old. And so the cycle started over and repeated and repeated. I finally pulled the plug after 5 months of running around in circles. I called and told them to pull my application, that I was no longer interested. I was politely told that they were sorry I was not going to continue and that they would close my application. This was in July 2017.

Fast forward to September 2017. I receive an email that SoFi is closing my application after 60 days of no action. Obviously, I am livid. I called them and they said they have not received any request to cancel the application. I checked my email history and I stopped receiving requests for additional documentation at the time that I canceled my application. Obviously, someone got the message as they stopped sending those messages. The real kicker, is that they pulled my credit and now I have a hard credit request on my record after I told them to stop the process. If you are doing a simple refi, they may work for you. If you are newly employed, look elsewhere as they will make the process a never-ending nightmare. As a footnote, I started with another loan processor and have already completed the process in one month as opposed to the six months of run-around I got with SoFi.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I tried to refinance Parent Plus student loans. They only ask you for a little bit of information when you first apply. Then - after they made a hard inquiry on your account, they start asking for more information. Most of what you upload - they won't accept because they want certified or official documents - where they won't accept a scan or upload. Also - they ask you for one document at a time instead of telling you upfront exactly what you will need. It is the worst loan application process I have ever experienced. I will never do business with them again.

SoFi expert review by Barbara Friedberg

SoFi is a modern finance company with a suite of money solutions including student loan refinancing. SoFi strives to provide the best tools for the individual.

• Services: SoFi offers a streamlined process for consumers to refinance their federal and private student loans in as little as 15 minutes. The student loan consolidation process starts with online pre-approval. Next, the consumer compares the loan plans and finally uploads and signs the documents.

• Refinancing: To select a loan consolidation plan, the member compares payments, rates and terms. In 2016, variable rate consolidation loans interest rates start at 2.22 percent APR and rise to 6.02 percent (with autopay). Fixed rate loans are available from 3.5 percent APR to 7.74 percent APR (with autopay).

• Education and Resources: SoFi also offers unemployment protection so that if a member loses his or her job, the company will temporarily pause repayments and help the consumer find a new job with their career support center. The company’s massive resource center includes a variety of calculators as well as unique tools to help potential students understand the return on the degree. Their blog and FAQ offer answers to a variety of personal finance and student loan consolidation questions.

• Best for: SoFi is useful for individuals looking for student loan consolidation plus broad financial guidance, former students who wish to refinance their student loans, people who are seeking a mortgage, people who want to refinance their mortgage, people looking for a simple way to begin investing, graduate students who want to save on their loans and those seeking a network for career advice.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg