3.51/5

Formerly GMAC

977 Ally Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2019

Buying a car can be irritating experience by itself. No need for third party to make it even more stressful. Ally Bank does not think so. It is my bank, online only but they will make money order as a normal bank would and mail it as a free service. I decided to make use of that service I even took expedited overnight service. So it arrived two days late. My mistake for not checking it before mailing it to a dealer in Texas, I was in a hurry. To make story shorter below is a picture of the check with innovative way of writing innovative. Needless to say they could not cash it. So I am calling my bank and they are very sorry and apologetic. They waiving expedited costs and at no charge sending overnight delivery with a replacement check. It arrives two days later and all appears to be good but...

Two weeks later I noticed that my account balance is too low to pay off my monthly bills. One glance and is clear that they made another mistake, instead of using a check tracking number that allows canceling off old one they made new one from my remaining money and old one is in a check limbo. They cannot fix it because department responsible is already closed but they are still apologetic. Next day my time on call waiting hits 5 hours. They not apologetic anymore. They are demanding. I should fix their mistakes, ask my dealer in Texas to mail me check back then I have to send it to them. So I answer that the only reason they would hold this check for three weeks would be if they realize comic value of it, frame it and laugh at it at the times when knowledge that there is someone more stupid out there is needed. If it's lost you must make them create notarial forms of losing this check and send it back to them..

So I answered that check was never lost, it was misspelled and abandoned by Ally Bank somewhere in a check limbo. And that they are making me extort false documents about “lost check” from a dealer so they can satisfy some kind of bureaucratic needs at my and car dealer cost. So I ask for higher management. They will call you within two days. Three days since that was said. There is no check limbo of course. They have that money and make profit of it while I pay minimum payments on my credit cards. Maybe they think that I did not spend enough time on waiting line? Well I decided to spend my time more creative. Case **, **. No pictures here. Oh well according to Ally you spell innovative like that “INNOWVEATIE”

Original review: May 21, 2019

I made over payments to pay my car off early. After two years I noticed my balance was not going down. I call, they said my car would be paid off months early. I asked them to apply the extra money to the principal. They said they would fix it. Now almost 5 years later on my last payments they say a payment of $500 and one more payment of $900.00. Guess what? Not early at all. Sending my info to my account for him to figure out. Never again. I'm out hundreds of dollars thinking I was paying off early.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Having seen an ad for Ally bank and being quite interested in taking most of my business away from brick and mortar, I signed up for an Ally bank account. A week down the road I sought more information on how to make my first deposit since I had not yet received my "welcome packet" which I did not receive within the time I was told I would.

I called the "customer service" number and the recorded message said my wait would be about ten minutes. Always wise to have something to do on the computer so no problem. Ten minutes later the recorded message STILL said my wait would be about ten minutes. (I am convinced they have a VIP program that large business customers can use to bypass the queue).

Until you are a customer there is no way to chat or communicate in any electronic method other than the 800 number so I wrote a snail mail letter to their headquarters asking that they call me and I even promised I would not make them wait 20 minutes. No answer and in the meantime I received notices that if I did not make a deposit by a certain date they would close my account. I did not and they did. So, the customer service line is worthless and the headquarters will not reply to complaints. It is useful to have discovered the horrid customer service before I became established. In the meantime I am looking at other on-line banking opportunities.

Original review: May 15, 2019

In January 2019 I opened an online checking account with Ally Financial. For my initial deposit I mailed to them my IRS tax refund for $7889.55 which was in the form of a Department of Treasury check -- from the Internal Revenue Service. I received my new account number and debit card soon after. When I attempted to use my new -- activated -- debit card to withdrawal $400 at an ATM machine, it was declined. I immediately went online and checked my account which said "denied access". I called the number as instructed and was told I needed to email the "Fraud Department" a copy of my driver's license, utility bill and social security card. I ensured them I am who I claim to be but went ahead and emailed them all three items they requested.

That was almost 6 months ago and I still have NOT HAD ACCESS TO ANY OF MY FUNDS! I have made 57 phone calls to every phone number I can find for Ally Bank. I have left messages with every department including "loss prevention" and their "Corporate Headquarters". Nobody will return my call -- Nobody will help me. This has been an absolute nightmare. I have filed complaints with the BBB and left negative reviews warning people to avoid Ally Financial. I never thought that in this country that a bank would engage in this type of obvious criminal behavior. I pray that this letter finds a person in power who can retrieve my money. Thank you. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Respectfully, victimized American citizen by Ally Bank.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I installed a brand new running boards that I purchased from the dealership and the dealership said that it would be OK for me to have them installed on the vehicle. I return the vehicle with the running boards on there figuring I don’t need them and I did them a favor when they did the inspection they told me that the running board was damaged and I old them for it. They also told me that the side panel is dented which it was not. I had just picked it up from my collision shop. Now they’re telling me if I don’t pay the bill it’s going to go on my credit. They also charge me for a tear in the seat which I do know was there and I am willing to pay that. Never leased a vehicle through Ally. They're a rip off con artist.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: May 14, 2019

They have tried multiple times to charge me a late fee after I actually made my payment early. They say their system didn't receive the payment in time, and that's why they charge me. It's not my fault their system doesn't work correctly. I also found out that all the spam calls I get to my cell phone are because Ally sells your personal information.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Stay away from this underhanded bank!! I leased my truck through Ally. The lease was 39 months. Final payment being made via auto pay April 9th. To my surprise I get an alert that the bank withdrew a 40th payment May 9th truck being due back to dealer May 15th.. I called them and ask for an explanation. Their reply was, "Oops sorry, but unfortunately we will not refund you until you return the truck." They said I should of cancelled auto pay. My reply was it’s a 39 month lease, why should I worry about auto pay.. It’s a 39 month lease, why would you, and what right did you have to take 40th payment out of my account and then hold it hostage..

I felt like I was dealing with criminals. This was no oversight. They knew exactly what they were doing. It was intentional. Also, tried getting an extension on the lease from them. ** crooks. They double your payment. Would of jumped from $340.00 to 680.00. Take a hike ** thieves.. Toyota and Chevy are great to deal with.. No probes on extension, same payment. Stay away from this bank. Do not lease with them. Trust me.. Thanks!!

Original review: May 12, 2019

The initial process was 100% until it went to the loan section. The person working on this screwed everything up. Didn't know how to handle trust documents/ never had before. Cost me $45 in FedEx overnight - wouldn't refund. Was told I would get copy of Deed of Trust after it recorded DIDN'T! Had to call the title co. and have them send me copy. 1 month after it all was paid and closed. Should have been done as soon as I paid the final closing cost. Then tried to cover his **, afterwards by telling false statements about what really happened. Because of his negligence and improper training left bad feelings.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Opened an Online account with Ally Bank. For my initial deposit I sent them my $8000 IRS Tax Refund which was a US Department of Treasury Check. Probably the highest guarantee of funds check that exists. After a week of not having my funds available I contacted Ally who informed me that they are investigating "Fraud". As instructed I emailed my Drivers License, Social Security Card and Utility Bill to them -- to prove that I am who I claim to be.

Fast forward 6 months later and I still do not have access to ANY OF MY MONEY! Nobody will return my calls -- and customer service connects me to Loss Prevention who never picks up the phone and NEVER returns my voice messages. Ally Bank is a scam. I am currently in communication with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Reserve who I hope will bring these thieves to justice and return my money. You have been warned. Do not trust any positive reviews. They are from Ally Staff.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I did a mobile deposit of my federal tax return to Ally Bank on 4/29. Two days later when the money was in my account, I wired it to my bank in Hawaii because all of my bills including my mortgage, solar, cars, etc. are paid out of Central Pacific Bank. I received a call Wednesday 5/1 from the Ally Bank Fraud department saying that they froze my account dues to suspicious activity. I was told that the verification of funds would take 24 hours. On 5/4 I called and was told to call back Monday 5/6. I called back on the morning of 5/6 and was told that there was nothing that could be done pending the US Treasury Department.

I then attempted to call back twice directly to the fraud department where I was hung up on after 2 calls waiting for 20 minutes each. I then called back to the regular customer service number where I was transferred by the customer service agent to the fraud department after 1 hour on hold. I spoke to someone there briefly and I asked for a manager. I was put on hold and approximately 4 minutes later I was hung up on again. I called the treasury department and was told that the funds had been released to the bank on 5/1. It's 5/6 and my money is still not available to me, and my Ally bank account is still locked including my other savings account. They are choosing to hold my money that has already been released to them 5 days ago by the federal government. I am now being told that the review would take until 5/10. This is 9 days after the funds were released to them. DO NOT USE THIS BANK.

Original review: May 5, 2019

My car was totaled and I had Gap insurance. I called Ally customer service to find out what I needed to do. The customer service rep. informed me that my insurance and Gap would handle everything. She also told me that I no longer had to keep paying on the car because the Gap insurance would pay the remaining balance on the car from the insurance company. This conversation was recorded.

A month later, I was told from Ally that information was false. This was one of many wrong messages from customer service. Ally Bank would send me emails from their Gap insurance division requesting information needed to complete paperwork for the insurance company. Afterwards, I realized that they were not the GAP insurance company for my car and they never sent the paperwork to the (REAL) GAP insurance company. I have the emails to prove this as well. Ally is good for taking your money only. If you ever have to use Customer Service for any reason, it will be time out of your life that you can never get back. I sent a letter to Ally regarding this situation and they did nothing. So I am posting this complaint in an effort to save at least one person from the problems of bad business practice. They do not deserve your money. Go to a credit union instead.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I awoke to find Ally had closed my account. I looked and saw an email thanking me for completing the sign up but it showed I had closed my account and withdrew what was in it. Upon calling they couldn't tell me why at first then checked with the back office that said that they discovered I was using my account for business. What rubs me is that they never said I could not get some funds from a business and I called once and asked if I could open a business account and they said they didn't offer one. They never said I could not have deposits from a business. The woman offered to open another account for me but I told them that I also do eBay selling off some personal items and Poshmark selling off some of my clothes and jewelry I don't wear and trade with others.

I asked if that would throw a red flag and get the account closed because they see it as a business. She put me on hold and went back to the "back office". After about 5 minutes she returned and said they considered Facebook, eBay and the like as businesses and that they don't allow that. I responded that until you make 20k you aren't considered a business and don't get a tax document and that she could look at my account and see that I hadn't made that much and it wasn't a business but she didn't care. That's their policy. I told her that if I went to a flea market or had a yard sale and deposited the money into my bank account she would have no idea where it came from so why did it matter that due to it coming from online they consider it a business. No response. She asked what she could do for me and if I still wanted another account but I said that neither she nor Ally could ever do anything for me again.

This is the worst nightmare because I have deposits that are in route as well as a hefty return that I needed to do at a store where I used their debit card. She said it would just have to bounce back and then I could deal with it. Is she stupid? If I did a return at a big box store and they mark it refunded and the money comes back I would never see those funds. What I will do is check the fine print and see if they specifically limit you to "no business" funds and if not I am seeking out an attorney. They could have called me or emailed me to ask me to cease and desist but they didn't allow me that courtesy. Just a cold hard slap in the face, thank you very much!

Original review: April 28, 2019

Won't let you pay to principal. When making payment you have to call in to be able to apply anything to the principal. Calling in sucks and if you don't they just roll over till next payment holding your money for their own profit. They rob you.

Original review: April 23, 2019

The fees are ridiculous and the first time you have a problem, the only way to solve it is by calling in but what happens when customer service gives you wrong info, Ally will blame you and hold your $$.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I requested to have my car payment lowered and the customer service told me they would call me back in 2 days to inform me of the change. Days and weeks have gone by and no response. I called back and haven't been able to get a hold of anyone from the finance department. I no longer receive payment updates through emails. My Ally account is completely empty. I can't review my payment history. The only thing that I can review is my bank information on the Ally account. It is going on 2 months now with no update and I need help. I'm not sure what I can do at this point. Can someone give feedback?

Original review: April 18, 2019

No way! I requested a re-write for a monthly reduction. They said 'Sure, we can work with you, we will be in contact within the next 2 days'. Promptly my car went offline and off access in any way. I figured they were doing the rewrite. Days went to weeks, a month later and numerous phone calls (all saying 'they're in meetings'). It came back over my due date, full amount and penalty. Cannot reach them no matter how hard I try. They will not respond. Operator says 'they're very busy'. That's cool, can someone address their clientele? At all?

Original review: April 18, 2019

Opened joint account online on 4/7/19, after entering all my personal info, I received a message that "DUE TO HIGH VOLUME" response time would be 3-5 business days or longer. WAIT, WHAT? I'm giving you money, and I need to wait a week? OK, deep breathe, I will wait for the 2.2% rate. I ended up waiting 6 business days, then went online and started an online customer service chat, gave my app ref # and they said my information was not on file. WAIT, WHAT? What happened to my data? My SSN, personal info, not on file? Online rep took my cell and said someone would call me within 1-2 business days. UGH, ok I waited.

Today, 8 business days later, I call in and speak to a rep who says my information could not be authenticated? WAIT, WHAT? I had to call Ally Bank to find this out? NO WAY, but yes it's true. The rep also said they could not delete my personal information so my data is out there. I went online tonight on Marcus by Goldman Sachs, took me 5 minutes and application was approved, and we made our initial deposit of $25,000.00 at 2.25% interest. 100% TRUTH AND UNBIASED REVIEW.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I've had this account for a few years and could not not have had a more awful experience. I only have a savings account mind you. I transfer money from my Golden 1 account to this account automatically. Last month my phone was stolen and I had a family emergency. There were no funds for the automatic transfer. I lost my password due to the stolen phone so called to reset it. The women in customer service said she can't help me and I needed to wait for a callback in two business days. I explained the situation and that an automatic transfer would happen in two days. She told me she could not help me and would not explain why. I told her I'll call back in an hour and she said they will not help me until two days from now.

Two days later it attempts to pull from my bank and my bank charges me overdraft. In a few days Ally calls me back. The person doesn't know anything and explains he cannot stop transfer, he cannot assist me online, and said another transfer would not be attempted. Well they tried again and my bank charged me again. They then suspended my Golden 1 account.

Now I do not have access to transfer funds at all. I called today and spoke with Penny. She told me that my account will be suspended for 6 months due to too many failed transfer attempts! She said the "back office" would not approve it. She refused to relay previous notes, dates, or the first name of anyone I spoke to. I also work in a call center and have never heard of such a thing. Now I have to request a check to empty my account. She told me it would be overnighted and later said 2-3 business days. She repeatedly ignored my questions and seemed ignorant of how their processes worked. She kept saying umm and did not make me feel confident in her abilities. I would never recommend this bank to ANYONE.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Ally is a good bank with competitive rates. However lately when you call them you will experience an extremely long wait time. It is usually over 10 minutes. In the past they had very short wait times 2-3 minutes. They must have more business than they can handle or have reduced the number of customer service representatives. It's a shame as I use to speak highly of Ally. However, now I no longer recommend them and am looking for another bank.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Paid off my car loan. The guy on the phone said I would get my release quicker (4 days) if I use Western Union. Four days later no release. I call, they now say 7-10 business days. Still nothing, chat online. Now they say 13 days. Said they would fax a copy, of course that ALSO takes 1-2 business days. Still never received it. Contacted them again, they will FedEx it to me... in 1-2 business days! I am not going to hold my breath. Lip service while I'm sure the president of the company laughs to the bank. I will never use them or recommend them.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Attempted to transfer my maturing CD from my bank to Ally Bank because of their higher interest rates. Downloaded appropriate transfer form and faxed it to Ally after which they were to send fax to my bank requesting transfer of funds. My original bank never received their fax. Called Ally (after spending more than 1/2 hour on hold). Was told fax went out that evening. My bank never received it. Again called Ally--was told fax went out. Again my bank never received it. Again called Ally--was told fax never went out because I was to have filled out another form about which I was never told. I cancelled my transfer as, I had no faith that, after spending hours attempting to reach Ally by phone, Ally Bank was capable of handling my funds. I would give them 0 stars.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Was looking for a new checking and savings account that would provide good interest and low rate. I did pretty extensive research and came down to deciding between a Fidelity Cash Management Account and Ally. At the last minute, I decided to go with Ally because I heard in the savings, you can create different buckets or goals, and I liked the color of their debit card. A big mistake. I just got a message that I'd hear back in 3-5 days. There was no email, no decision pending message in my current Ally investing account. I wanted to know what to expect so I called. I was starting a joint account and spouse just completed bankruptcy. They checked on status on application and said they couldn't approve because of that.

I would totally understand if I was trying to open up a credit card with them, but they do realize that I wanted to open a checking and savings...two accounts that would be funded with our own money. I said, "Why do you need to do a credit report anyway for a checking account (not to mention I'm already a customer, have a an auto loan with them as well that I pay on time)," and they said it's for identity. Clearly not about identity if they are rejecting for this reason. I said fine, no skin off my back, there are literally hundreds of other banks that would love to have my business and for me to give them MY money. There are plenty too with high interest rates, no fees, free arms. I by no means need Ally with all the other options out there. And I'm more upset about the days I wasted waiting to hear back. Poor communication. Poor service.

As soon as I hung up, I finished my application with Fidelity (also a joint account) and was approved instantly. Fidelity, a name that's much more reliable and trustworthy than Ally, was able to approve us for a checking and brokerage account in seconds. And they will probably be gaining a customer for life. Had to call customer service right after for a question and I was blown away with how much more helpful they were than Ally. They were literally happy to have a new customer and easily answered my questions with half the wait time on the phone.

I am actually thrilled that Ally rejected us at the start so we didn't get stuck living with the mistake of choosing them. Would've been much worse to have started using them only to have switch all accounts down the road. Stay away from Ally. There are much better options out there. Fidelity for one, and I also started an account with Aspiration, who doesn't offer joint accounts yet, but seems to be a good choice so far.

Original review: April 2, 2019

If you are getting a lease, walk the minute Ally Auto comes into the conversation. I hope all dealerships know not to go through them. They do not provide many of the normal services that others do such as pre turn in inspections. My dealership doesn't even seem to be aware of this because they were the ones who told me to contact them for an inspection. Overall, I am disappointed and will never take a lease through them again.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I was in an auto accident where some kid hit me. Their insurance did not cover all of the costs so I had to rely on my Gap Insurance. I thought the reason we paid for Gap Insurance was so they covered the rest of what is owed. But apparently not because I still had to pay out of pocket so my car was paid off.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Alternatively titled, I'm your customer, not a criminal! I have been with Ally for a couple years and until today would have given them a 5 star rating. I called in to change my phone number as my ex decided it would be entertaining to shut off my phone without warning. While on the phone with Ally, they tell me that without being able to text my old number they can't change the number and have to submit an incident report, they'll contact me in 1-2 business days (keep in mind, I'm calling in Saturday at 10 am) to get it fully verified. What they fail to mention to me is that the "incident report" is a fraud report that will block access to your account immediately! I find out via e-mail, thankfully while still on the phone with the bank.

This leaves me without access to my only funds for a minimum of 3 days, to include the last and first days of the months, when auto pay accounts are due and I have no access to fund the appropriate accounts. At this point I've been on the phone (mostly on hold) for a full hour and a half and counting trying to get access to my account again. Treating customers simply trying to change a phone number as if they're criminals is not the way to treat long term customers. Your 2.2% interest rate isn't worth it.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have been with Ally for over three years. I make my payments on time, for the full amount or over the amount, every single month. In February, my credit card was stolen and I canceled the account. I thought I had updated my payment information for all online bills but forgot Ally. That was my mistake. However, I received no calls, no emails, no one telling me my payment was declined. I keep very good budget records and rarely check my bank account (I know what's coming and going and assumed the payment had been taken out of the account).

Payment was due February 12th. On March 8th I received a call that my car was out for repossession unless I paid Ally $200 by the end of the business day. Panicked, I tried giving them my credit card or bank account. No, I had to go to a Walmart and make a certified payment. (Why Walmart? I have no idea. The operator instructed me to go to Walmart to do this). So I left work in the middle of the day to make that payment. I then made additional payments after the repossession was "called off" and got caught up on what was owed- even overpaying by $98.79.

It is now March 29th and I am still getting harassing calls on my cell phone as well as at my work. They offered me a 60-day extension on my loan. I stated repeatedly that I do not need an extension - I can pay my bill just fine every month, but they processed the extension anyway. I still received a call this morning stating I owed $852.17 by the end of business day today and how would I like to pay that. Considering my monthly payment of $352 was already paid AND I'm caught up on my missed payment as well as additional fees (totaling $804.21) in March alone, I was livid.

I pulled up my online account and no, I do not owe anything. This company harasses their customers and lies about what is owed. Had I not been so on top of my budget and finances, I would have panicked and paid them whatever they asked, just out of fear of repossession. Will be paying off this loan immediately so as not to allow them any more of my money through interest and fees. Absolutely terrible - do not recommend for a loan of any kind. And always keep your own records.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I had an automobile loan through Ally Financial. The automobile was totaled. Right from that point the nightmare began. It took them three weeks to find the payment from the insurance company to pay off the car. Then they sent me a letter saying that the car was paid for. 20 days later they sent me another letter saying that they had made a mistake and had applied Gap coverage to my account that did not belong to me.

They then called my account in arrears and within days hit my credit report. I immediately called the company upon receiving their letter and spoke to about 10 different people. I finally got one woman to figure out what the mistake was and no one at all knew what the mistake was. It is now one month later and I am in a dispute with this company to clear my credit and my co buyers credit.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I returned my leased RAM 1500 to the dealership on 01/31/2019 and leased another (through Ally as well, unfortunately). The truck was in perfect condition when returned with no noticeable scratches. Three weeks later, I got a letter form Ally requesting $283 for an alleged scratch on the side of the truck. I called them to investigate, and I found that the inspection was done on 02/15/2019, i.e. more than 2 weeks after I returned the car.

I informed them that this scratch did not happen while I had the car and I offered to give them a picture of the truck taken just prior to returning it, but they didn't care. They also threatened to report my lease loan as in default on my credit report in case I don't pay promptly (although the lease loan was paid in full, so I am not sure how legal is that). The customer service was extremely rude and unprofessional. Ally is definitely a third degree bank, or even worth, that is not worth anybody's respect. I don't recommend it to anybody.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Very poor service. Called 5 times regarding a gap insurance refund and received 5 different answers and they have no clue and very hard to understand. They have a written speech and won’t let you talk to a supervisor. Poor excuse for a company. Go elsewhere.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I opened a online savings account in 2017. Said to give 1.5% to this day. They tell me I only have $2.83 in interest on my $1000. Because they closed my account without telling me because I didn't send them my driver's license and home bill. No emails to me to say they closed my account. So I called them and said I want to get my money back and end this account. I sent them the information they requested online, email to their fraud department which they said they received and now to wait for a phone call Monday from a person named Tara. The fraud department said it takes 24 hours to process this, I'm still waiting, it's going on 2 weeks. I will post more info. After the phone call they say they will give me on this Monday 3/25/2019.

Ally Bank Company Information