Formerly GMAC

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

Ally Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Buying my first car was a big deal so I researched for months, both for my car itself and for the best loan offer. My credit was not the greatest (fair) so I did the best I could to clean it up in order to qualify for a loan. I learned that buying a car at the end of a quarter, or even better at the end of the year was the best way to get great deals so that's what I did.

I decided to get pre-qualified for a loan so I took the plunge into the 'no turning back' zone that puts the credit scare into all of us and allowed loan companies to start clicking into my credit for a loan. Several companies wanted my business and the loan amounts offered to me were all within the range I was looking for. The difference was that only one company, Ally, was willing to give me the best interest rate with my 'fair' credit score, and in fact, they also allowed me 3 months deferred payments on my first month. I easily set up direct deposit and voila' I am in my new car and my payment is $20 lower per month than I was planning on spending. And, I also wanted to say that I bought my car through Carmax and am really happy with both Ally and Carmax. I would recommend them both to anyone looking to buy a car, and being the end of the year you will get your best deal yet!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Very customer oriented. Excellent services. Quality product; operationally superior... Best on-line Bank ever. Easy of use stands out... Great menus.. Easy to find what you seek... Good access to prior statements online.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

Re-financed in 2018 with Ally Bank. The process online and phone was great with all personnel with the application for loan. They paid off Bank of America and their other loan company immediately within 20 days. The process then went to Ally's Loan processing in Colorado, other than the NEW person handling the loan, didn't know how to process a Trust, everything was PERFECT! The new person, had to give the Trust I faxed to them, don't have text ability and told them that several times, his supervisor took the trust and in 1 day it was processed. Once thru the Loan Process, they ordered Appraisal on home here in Calif. Man and his son came and did thorough investigation. Home appraised at much more than thought it would. Funded. All done in 30 days.

My NEW LOAN is with Ally: their financial institute that takes the payments is SLS out of Colorado. Superb company I have dealt with before. I pay under $900 mo. for 15 yr loan. and can call and raise how much more I want to pay on principal anytime. SLS is a great company. Thanks to ALLY I got rid of B of A and their horrid company they sold the loan to no notice to me, was in BK! -

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Have been a customer using their banking products for 7 years. I never overdraft or pay silly fees. Had to use them for a wire transfer to pay off a loan. They called me to confirm my form details and made some corrections to ensure it would be accepted by my lender. It went through without an issue. Simple customer service interactions like this are always quick and completed by well-trained, polite folks. They used to have more competitive rates for savings, but it's been beat by others like Citi as of late. That's the only reason for 4 stars instead of the full 5.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I’ve been an Ally customer for over two years and I love it. I use it only for a savings account and regulate send money to my checking account at another bank and vice versa. What I really love is while it would cost money to transfer money from my other bank to ally, if I initiate the transaction from ally, it’s free. Also the interest rates are super high!! Of course that varies so it’s always changing but it’s still way higher than most other banks. Also, anytime I’ve called I’ve immediately spoken to someone and they were super helpful. I love ally and would use them anytime. I highly suggest it for a savings account.

Resolution response: Jan. 6, 2021

Someone finally corrected the issue. It just needed the right person.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I have tried for several days to see and print my account information. I need it for a home loan I would like to get. The websites have all been down for ALLY. I have called their only number given and it routes the call to a foreign country. The operators do not speak very good English and could not help me at all. They said that techs were working on the website, but for over a week???? I am beginning to be very concerned. They have all our personal information and the ability to really screw up our credit. It would be extremely helpful if someone from this company that has any idea what is going on to contact me....PLEASE!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

After reading all the other reviews about Ally Financial, I also have had the exact same issues with them. So after fighting with them on the phone I stop payments through their auto pay, Don't set up auto payments with them because if you do they will illegally withdraw multiple payments in a month's period then refuse to reimburse you. Instead send them a money order from your bank each month or cashier's check with the date of payment etc. This is the only way to pay them and be in CONTROL with this financial establishment aka fraudsters.

I recently also tried getting my payments lowered because of the Pandemic, ALLY Bank offers NO help but instead asked me for $2,000.00 in order to get my payment lowered. If you can avoid Ally bank, Ally financial, Ally car loan I WOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT USE THEM. I WISH I could have given them 0 stars. That what they deserve.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I took a personal loan with Ally and after setting up a one-time payment in advance decided to set up recurring payments. I assume I mistakenly did not change a start date and the recurring payment was taken out of my account one day after the one-time payment. Luckily I had enough money in the account to cover it, and I have enough financial resources that the mistake would not devastate me, but there was a time when it would have. Ally provided no assistance, telling me they could neither return the payment nor move it to the next month. They suggested that I call my bank to try and get the payment returned somehow and my financial institution was appalled that they suggested it as they knew it would be impossible unless the money was stolen to get a return. Needless to say, not a great first impression. I canceled the auto-pay and will never use this company again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Never will I ever lease through this bank again or ever use them. They do nothing but steal your money and good luck trying to speak to someone who knows what they are doing. The dealership had me lease through them in May of 2017. This July 2020 I extended my lease due to covid 19 and dealerships not being open. I am also over miles so I figured that could give us some time. Which luckily I had another vehicle so this sat parked since March 2020. What they didn’t tell me which they claimed they did was my buy out from July 2020 would freeze and all my payments from then on out didn’t matter! It was a way for them to make more money on the vehicle longer. It was their fee to have the vehicle longer. They said they sent me a letter I received nothing. I nearly lost it.

I’ve been paying $289 on time each month for nothing! Then a dealership is interested and they are charging them $4000 more than my buyout! I’ve never heard of such thing and I’ve never heard when extending your lease your payments wouldn’t go towards it! I’ve leased many other vehicles and extended and never have I’ve ever had such problems like this! Their customer service is downright rude too! These people are very unhelpful as you can see in many other posts and they lie. They will not negotiate buy out price either I’ve tried! Please stay away from them at all costs! Horrible bank!

Update I was finally able to get a dealership to buy the Jeep but I had to pay $3000 to the dealership because their buyout was much higher than what the car was worth. The dealership did give me $14,000 towards their buy out which was $17,175. I’m glad that headache is gone and a lot cheaper than buying it out myself for $15,253.60 or financing that out or turning it in and getting hit with .25 mileage overage and any ding or scratch.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I've been with them for over a year and I'm soon going to be refinancing with a new bank because of awful experiences with them. They double charged several times, getting ahold of someone is difficult, a lot of the calls break in and out and are just super confusing. They can take money directly from your account for payments, but cannot deposit money into your account when they overcharged. Instead you have to wait over a month for a check to come in the mail (of course it never comes).

Ally Bank Company Information