Formerly GMAC

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Ally Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Ally Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Sharon in Repairs Check Department..."She is Perfect Customer Service". Sharon is there with you all the way through. If she says she will call you back- "She will". Also she will personally investigate and handle your issues from beginning to end! She has excellent phone etiquette and very professional. Because of her, we will continue to do our banking business with Ally Financial. Thank you Sharon.

Original review: June 6, 2021

I am having a very positive experience with Ally Bank. Their customer service is very good, and the Web interface is easy to understand and fast. Interest rates are much better than brick and mortar banks. They have plenty of ATM locations. Ally Bank is perfect for anyone who doesn't require a physical bank to satisfy their banking needs. I highly recommend Ally Bank.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I use Ally Bank and the only bad thing I can honestly say is the daily limits on what I can send aren't enough. If I have a $2000 transaction or transfer to make, I have to do it over a several day period. It's a great online bank that does everything my corner bank does and I don't need to leave to send money, make deposits, or purchase anything online.

Original review: June 3, 2021

Ally makes every online transaction easy to find and easy to complete. They consistently offer the best interest rates, as well as bonus rates for loyal customers. Customer service is always available without waiting on hold for extended periods of time. They are helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. I couldn’t ask for anymore in a bank.

Original review: May 31, 2021

Been with Ally for 13 years now and they always seem to have my back. Some transfer speeds needed upgrading and a bit frustrating but I think they are working on this. Good customer service and fast response times as well. Best online banking to date. I highly recommend ALLY Bank to most. Minimal fees if any as well.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I was with this bank for over 10 years. They offer a decent interest rate and that's the only reason to bank with them. Other than that, they're terrible. Their policies are restrictive and they want to control how you manage your own money. Transfers are based on how they value you as a customer. If they value you as a customer you get faster transfers. If you make even the slightest mistake, they will put you on their longest transfer times. They will even restrict how you use Zelle which is an instant transfer service.

When you call customer service, their representatives will give you incomplete and inconsistent information and answers. In my case, I sent an email to their executive team. Someone named Bill called my work number and left a message. I called back, it went to voicemail. No one ever returned my call. This happened 3 times.

Here's a tip, the money you deposit in banks is yours. It doesn't belong to the bank. Banks like Ally don't want you to know this. They want you to feel like they're doing you a favor by giving them your money. You're not. You're doing them the favor and honor of having your hard-earned money for them to invest and get wealthy off of. Think about this when you decide which financial institution you deposit money with.

Original review: May 20, 2022

There are lots of high reviews for this bank from financial writers. But they do not use the bank and everything that glitters does not prove to be gold. The bank looks good on paper. I actually really liked them. I had four accounts there for several years. Although there were a few red flags in the beginning, I ignored them and kept using them. That was a mistake.

Although there were no issues with my accounts, they decided to close the accounts. They lied to me twice as to the reason and finally said they would not reveal the reason - but "they had a right to". Fine. But what ethics do not allow is to close the account not giving a person the time to get all the payments (including Social Security) moved to another bank. It takes time. I had 3 days. They I moved the majority of what I had in the account to another bank I had linked so that at least I would have my current money in the account to use for bills and so forth. They stopped the transfer and closed the account, sending me a bank check for the balance.

So what could have been accomplished had they just left it alone, required me to wait additional time for the mail to be delivered (and then for their check to clear). This is a really, really, really, unethical bank. I do not know why they closed my account, and only mildly care, but they doing so in the manner they did it. Beware. Trust me, there are better banks no matter how good Ally may look on paper.

Original review: May 16, 2022

It was probably just incompetence that their representative assured me that my Autopay had started, then failed to take my payment. Maybe also just incompetence that they report my non-payment to the credit agencies. But malicious that although the mistake was on their part, they refuse to correct the credit agency reports.

Original review: May 14, 2022

My debit card was canceled because Ally thought it had been compromised. No call, no email. I found out when I attempted to make a purchase and it was summarily declined! That was only the beginning of the debacle! The first set of replacement cards were never rec'd. A second set sent expedited to a mystery address 700 miles from my home. I was assured the third would be sent expedited. Really? The bank has no record of a third attempt. This pattern conforms with all my experiences with ally. I would add that one is on the phone 1.5 hours before the next ally clown finally comes on. They don't have branches and yet they also don't answer the phones. I'm wondering how much the CEO takes home for being such a failure??? RUN FROM ALLY BANK!!!

Original review: May 9, 2022

Despite the huge # of bad reviews for Ally Bank here, still awarded 4 stars. Why? Your disclaimer (top of this site) tells: ConsumerAffairs is not a government agency and *may be compensated by companies displayed*. Horrible experience with Ally. Many others have, too. Read about the 1 star rated Ally Bank on the BBB site: **.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Ally Bank Company Information