Formerly GMAC

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

Ally Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Last April I walked into local Kia dealership and my credit score wasn't that great and Ally did approved me for no money down. And I was able to drive off the lot within a hour and much better than experience I had with Credit Acceptance 24 years ago. And Ally interest rates are much lower and I have it set up for automatic payments on due date through my bank account. And I make sure that I have more money in my bank account before the due date and haven't missed a payment. And Ally keeps reporting to the Credit Bureau as on time payments. So I recommend that call new and used car lots and ask if they do business with Ally before you do credit applications.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Buying my first car was a big deal so I researched for months, both for my car itself and for the best loan offer. My credit was not the greatest (fair) so I did the best I could to clean it up in order to qualify for a loan. I learned that buying a car at the end of a quarter, or even better at the end of the year was the best way to get great deals so that's what I did.

I decided to get pre-qualified for a loan so I took the plunge into the 'no turning back' zone that puts the credit scare into all of us and allowed loan companies to start clicking into my credit for a loan. Several companies wanted my business and the loan amounts offered to me were all within the range I was looking for. The difference was that only one company, Ally, was willing to give me the best interest rate with my 'fair' credit score, and in fact, they also allowed me 3 months deferred payments on my first month. I easily set up direct deposit and voila' I am in my new car and my payment is $20 lower per month than I was planning on spending. And, I also wanted to say that I bought my car through Carmax and am really happy with both Ally and Carmax. I would recommend them both to anyone looking to buy a car, and being the end of the year you will get your best deal yet!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Very customer oriented. Excellent services. Quality product; operationally superior... Best on-line Bank ever. Easy of use stands out... Great menus.. Easy to find what you seek... Good access to prior statements online.

Resolution response: April 16, 2021

Edit: I have received an email from Ally Bank with a receipt for the full payoff on my vehicle. So whoever informed me I could NOT pay if off online was wrong.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Purchased a 2017 Buick Encore from a dealership in Kernersville, NC in August of 2018. The dealer got my loan through Ally at a great rate. All has been fine until I moved to Arkansas. I am old school and prefer a statement in the mail, write out my check and mail it in the same day. For some reason, Ally can't seem to get my statement to me on time, usually receive it two days before the payment due date, which means I have to go online and make the payment. Frustrating enough to make me want to pay off the vehicle and be done with them. Tried to call three times and discovered they have outsourced their customer service department to the Philippines, which means you will reach someone who doesn't speak English and will NOT understand you. I asked for someone in the United States, and was transferred to someone in Texas. Yah! Only to be told I CANNOT PAY OFF MY AUTO LOAN WITH THEM ONLINE.

I have to get a cashier's check from my bank and mail it to them. Which means I will end up getting a statement from them for finance charges still owed for the days between when the check was mailed and when they actually deposited it. Amazing for a bank that prides itself for being completely online vs a brick and mortar bank. They will NEVER get my business again.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Refused to honor a statement they made about allowing an emergency use of a debit card I was canceling. "All you have to do is call and we'll let you get gas," etc. Refused three times. I have no money, no gas and a trip to get Covid shot on Tues. that is over 30 miles one way. How does one live for 5-7 days with NO cash?

Original review: April 8, 2021

If you have an Ally account, close it. They didn't have any problems or raise any issues for the past five years while I gave my money to Gemini, but as soon as I get money from Gemini, they have a problem with using it for a mortgage!? I sold cryptocurrency on Gemini and transferred the money to my Ally account. The cash money was in my account for two months, and the cash money in their Bank was the asset I was going to use. Their underwriting team said since the money was sourced from a cryptocurrency exchange, they are unable to use them those funds in my checking/savings account to be put towards the closing costs and/or reserves for the home loan. There was no one I could talk to you and customer service and no one I could raise this as an issue to. I ended up closing my accounts and transferring my money to another bank.

Original review: April 2, 2021

When I returned my lease to Ally with fewer miles than allowed, the recovery department charged me $400 to replace two tires that still had 40,000 miles left on their warranty. According to their office clerk, they sold the car with those "unsafe tires" (which in itself is illegal), the $400 tires should have cost less than $200 (obnoxious price gouging), they could have used a tire warranty had they simply contacted me, and they charged me for tires that they didn't replace simply because they could. I addressed my concerns verbally and in writing, but I was ignored and the money taken from my account without permission. This is why large corporations are creating positions for ethics officers. Amazing that Ally's name can be compromised for a mere $400.

Original review: March 25, 2021

The customer service is beneath contempt. They charge absurd and exorbitant fees that they seem to make up to suit the occasion. If you want to sort it out, expect a forty-five minute wait to talk to a human. If you need to escalate the call to talk to someone who can actually be helpful, expect that person to be busy. Their so-called live help is an internet chatbot you wait half an hour to talk to and spend half an hour further getting nothing done. I suspect this bank was started by a pharmaceutical company looking to create a demand for high blood pressure medication. They are intensely, knowingly frustrating. Get your money away away from them forthwith, whether it is ten million or ten cents. Hide it under a mattress. You'll be better off.

Original review: March 15, 2021

Ally Financial is by far, the most incompetent and frustrating company I have ever dealt with and I am in my early 50's. My son leased a car with them in May 2017, got a few payments extended due to the pandemic in 2020, then was due to turn in the vehicle or purchase it in Dec. 2020. He decided to purchase it due to the excessive overage on miles and he was behind a few payments (his fault because he forgot all about them after he had them deferred). So we contacted Ally, made two back payments so he wouldn't get repossessed, then sent them a cashier's check for over $15,000. That was Jan. 22, 2021. Still waiting for the title almost two months later. Then he just received a letter in the mail last week thanking him for turning in his leased vehicle and that they needed an odometer statement.

They are such a horrible company to communicate with. I make call after call, get put in hold for hours at a time, only to find out that the number I called wasn't the right dept or whatever the excuse so I get transferred and put on hold again. I've requested supervisors to call me back and they never do. I've given up on this company and am currently seeking legal counsel to handle this. Since I sent the $15,000 to them, I have yet to have any acknowledgment that they received it. Then they informed the dealership that we sent the money incorrectly although they were the ones who told us to do so. I feel that we have been robbed of our $15,000 and I'm just curious with this company! Do not do business with Ally Financial! You will regret every minute of it!

Original review: March 10, 2021

I’m an essential worker. I drive from store to store and check to ensure companies aren’t jacking prices or becoming desperate with empty shelves and try to sell expired product. I work 14 hour days. Honestly, I lost track of what day was what. Evidently, auto payment didn’t happen for whatever reason, and I fell behind. Ally offered assistance, so I took it. Three months later I find out they didn’t actually take it. I make a payment and try again. Again I was told I was approved. Today I woke up to find my car was repossessed. The car I need for work in order to pay the bill.

I call and their customer service is very unsupportive. They make it clear they don’t want to be on the phone, they don’t care about my situation, and I’m not their problem. I literally had two people hang up on me, though I remained polite the entire time. They want a couple thousand for me to get my car back. If I had a couple thousand, I wouldn’t be behind! Without my car, I lose my job, which also means I can’t afford to pay their bill. I’ve had several issues with Ally over the years, but this ensures I will never use them again. Do not apply for extensions! It’s a trap to get your car!

Ally Bank Company Information