1.09/5
Based on 147 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Formerly GMAC

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

773 Ally Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

While driving on the interstate our tire blew. We called VehicleOne because we have a contract with them that we bought for 2700.00. We wanted a tow truck and our tire changed. While on the phone with them asking about receiving help a semi sideswiped us and took our mirror off so the agent wrote that down too. Because that happened during our call they would not cover us because it was considered an accident. I was on the phone for almost an hour and a half arguing with them because I didn't call for a tow truck because my mirror is off... I called because my tire blew, who needs a tow truck because of a mirror being blown off?! And the fact that I called because my tire blew and they argued with me forever that "it's an accident claim now" even though they were two separate events and the semi just happened to do that while I was asking for a tow because my tire had blown and the rim is bare and we are on a dangerous interstate.

They put 2 lives in danger for 2 more hours than what should have been, by letting us sit on the interstate for longer than needed because "my mirror was blown off during the call". I am a RN and help save lives for a living and my significant other has been deployed overseas for 3 deployments to fight for our country and you'd think we could get some easier help than what we received. We paid for this 2700.00 dollar contract and finally after getting a tow free through someone else they called and accepted us to get 100 dollars off our tow. No thank you, I will be calling corporate and requesting a contract cancel and refund. VehicleOne is terrible! I don't recommend even dealing with them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Paid off my auto loan on 2/8/2018 and got a confirmation number. A week later on 2/15 and they have not posted my account. Now they claim I owe them additional finance charges! No ability to actually speak to anyone. Only options were email and chat. Customer service is horrible!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I had a 72 month auto loan with Ally Financial. I paid my last payment and didn't get my title in the mail. When I called them, they said I owed one more payment. Went as far as to have them count payments and she counted 72 payments!! Asked to talk to a supervisor, she said one would call back, they never did. A few months passed, now on my credit report. Called again and now they want the amount of 2 payments!! Asked to talk to a supervisor again... again said they would call me back... never did. Called again, made the lady count payments again... 72 months. No answers as to why they are holding my title. Just pay or they keep it. Can hardly speak English. I think this is some kind of scam. At a loss, don't know what to do.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

After trading in my 2012 Ford Fusion for a 2018 Ford Escape, Ally stated that they never received my car payoff from AutoNation Ford. But I have proof of the check being cleared on Jan. 8, 2018 for the entire amount. They put two damn late payments on my credit report which dropped my score 46 points!!! They are the worst, most incompetent pos people that I have ever had the displeasure of doing business with. I have already initiated disputes to TransUnion and Equifax and will be contacting the BBB. I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS BANK TO A SICK DOG!!! FOH.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Be aware that Ally holds deposits for an unusually long amount of time. My deposit is from a nationally recognized company and they will not release funds for 6 days. Also most banks will at least pay checks and other transactions off of the deposit, just not let you withdrawal cash, Ally will not even do this for their customers. They will return the check or deny the transaction and charge the customer with a NSF fee, even though the deposit is there. Then they hold future deposits even longer. I know they have received the money, they are just holding it along with thousands of other people's money so they can accrue as much interest as possible. Terrible way to do business and I will close my account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I paid off my Jeep in December and after calling them today to let them know I did not receive my title yet they informed me I still had a balance of $42.95. I was so upset cause when I called I got a pay off good for the next 10 days and they got it four days later and it cleared my bank the next day! Customer service is someone in the Philippines that you can barely understand! Shry the supervisor told me that it was worth the money for her to lose my business. Claims she listened to previous call when I called yet would not let me listen to it!! Then I pushed two to take survey at the end of the call and told her this. Suddenly the line went dead!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I received a 10-day payoff from Ally and went to UPS on a Thursday to overnight a cashier's check. I called ALLY from UPS to get a street address to send my check and confirmed that the payoff amount would be the same even if received the following Monday; I was told “yes.” Ally received my payoff within 24 hours but didn't process it to my account until the following Wednesday. I was told I owed an additional $77 and if I wanted to make a payment online, they would have to give me another 10-day payoff and would charge me an additional $7 Western Union charge for paying over the phone. I sold my RV and now the process to satisfy the lien and get registration will take up to 4 weeks! I'm so FRUSTRATED!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I recently decided to move from the big banks that pay 0.01% interest to an online bank. I chose Ally Bank. I completed the online application form and was accepted quickly. They required verification so I uploaded my drivers license. All seemed well. As I was looking over their website they also offered an investment platform which very affordable rates, so I completed the application and provided them with the same verification. Once the account was open I transferred $5000 to the account. Again they asked for verification in the form of a voided check, which I supplied. The transfer went through and they put a 3 day hold on the funds before I could trade. Two days later then froze the account as they need more verification. I called their customer support number and waited and waited and waited...25 mins passed and I had to hang up. I sent them an email and was told I needed to call.

I tried again...20 mins later still no answer this went on 5 times before I finally reached a human who was virtually no help. My account is still frozen and I am unable to get my money back for another 5 days...apparently another one of their rules. This company is run by idiots. If you want an online bank, go to DISCOVER BANK. I went to them a few days ago and I am set up, no problems. No stupid rules. They actually have more than one employee answering the phone.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

The worst Customer service EVER! & that's looking past the barely English speaking Incompetent staff... If you're looking for an idiot to Narrate every stupid Little thought inside their stupid little heads... Just called his number: 888-925-2559.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I've had several leases with GM. The last one with Ally Bank. Prior two leases resulted in zero fees for wear and tear, one a two year lease and a four year lease. Being charged over 900 for mostly petty wear and tear. Waiting for a response back to fight these excessive fees. But as of now I will never give any further business to Ally Bank. They no longer have a relationship with GM and now I know why. I suggest you find a different lender when it comes to an auto lease. I was a big believer in Ally but this left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

6 years ago I was sold what I was told was a 5 year CD. It was what I asked about and wanted. We put $1970 in it. We withdrew it this past year (2017). We received our 1099R from Ally and it stated our disbursement was $2125 and taxable. I called because it should have be $155 taxable interest. I was told, "No it was a IRA CD" and we took early withdrawal (less than age 70). I explained that was not what we asked for nor were we told it was IRA. They did nothing except keep telling me I received statement and should have known.

I am NOT an accountant. I saw the interest update and filed the statement. When I explained that I would never have taken an IRA at age 61 for 5 years knowing it would be dealt with as penalty withdrawing it at age 67, I received nothing but not their fault. I feel I was misled by salesman. I would NEVER do business with this Bank again and urge anyone to avoid them. I now have to pay taxes on the money I put in rather than just interest. Fixed income here and it hurts. So I made $155 but will pay tax increase of $226. Thank you ALLY.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have been a member of this bank since 2004. I have had ONLY ONE good experience with this bank. All with my transfers! They offer no atm cards. Debit card only. The tellers that I have endured were all politely RUDE with empty apologies. I would not recommend this bank. Mailing in deposit offer no business accounts. I do like the "idea" of 24 hour customer service. Again member since 04 and ONLY ONE POSITIVE EXPERIENCE. 3 day transfers-like SERIOUSLY! Then they have Zelle. AFTER the inconvenience they don't mention it as a solution. THIS BANK never takes initiative. As I said POLITELY RUDE. They say things to you that are rude POLITELY...as if you do not have common sense or a brain! My account doesn't have to be confidential. My name is Abim ** AND YOU GUYS SUCK! straight up???

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have a loan with Ally, been making payments for 3 years. Now on a 5 year loan. Starting in 9/2017 I have had a $35-$40 late fee every month. Grace period ends on the 16th of each month and I make my payment on the 1, 2, or 3rd of the month depending on whether the what day of the week the 1st falls on. It appears that they hold payments for just long enough to be able to charge the late fees. Absolutely awful experience with supervisors on the phone that are condescending and arrogant. I'm 42 yrs old and have financed with 5 different banks on other loans over the years and have NEVER experienced anything so horrendous. I am an Investigator for the State of Florida and I will be contacting the Attorney General's Office and would encourage anyone else to do the same. Worst company I have ever dealt with, even worse than Comcast.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

This company has misapplied THREE of my car payments to the wrong vehicle account and are now threatening to end my contract. I reported them to the BBB and asked that their negligent accounting be investigated. Their system is ludicrous and I cannot believe what I am reading! How are they getting away with this? I shouldn't have to worry about them applying the payments to the wrong account and then threatening to take my vehicle. This is a disgraceful company and they need to get it together.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My father has added me to manage his account 100 times and they keep saying, "Oh no problem, next time you call there will be no issues with your daughter managing the account" but this never happens. It's always hard to understand representatives since they ALL sound like they are in India. They put you on hold for so long. They have no quality care. If you are thinking of getting a loan with them DO NOT! You will regret it. I'm an older adult, been around long time, and this is the worst company I've ever dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This bank has a serious problem when it comes to transferring my funds. I had to request the transaction from Ally twice to get my transfer transaction completed. This bank failed to complete my transaction when I completed it online approximately four days ago. I had to call in to the bank again this morning to complete the transaction once again. I did receive confirmation numbers on both transactions, so I know the transaction should have been completed on my first request. This is not why online banking was created!

My request is now taking seven days, versus three days and I am not at all satisfied with this institution. I needed the funds in a timely manner, therefore, I vow to never ever do business with this institution or any other institution who have problems adhering to my requests, when it comes to my hard earned funds. Lastly, it appears Ally low ratings speaks for itself and not just me complaining. I assume others have had unpleasant experiences with this institution. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been trying to reach Ally Bank customer service for over a week to change my IRA required annual distribution. All I get is a recording stating my wait could be up to 30 minutes (the websites a shorted wait time). After waiting over 45 minutes more than once, I gave up. I cannot wait to move all my accounts away from this bank which used to have superior customer service. I even tried to contact the CEO in Charlotte, got a recording and the call never returned.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I was a customer of Ally Financial for almost 2 years. Sadly to say in April 2016 I had a wreck, I hit a calf, & totaled my vehicle. The owner of the calf's insurance paid a portion of my car off but left a balance of $800. When I learned of the balance, two months later, I contacted Ally attempting to make payment arrangements. Mind you, I had just had a baby, Hurricane Harvey was in full effect and my disability was down to 75%, however I took the initiative to contact them in order to make payment arrangements. Needless to say Ally Financial cared less about all of the above & advised me, "The ONLY way we would be able to help you is if you made a payment of $439.60." The representative explained to me that because my account was past due, the only way they would make payment arrangements is if I made a full payment of $439.60 and brought my account current.

I explained to the representative that I was currently on disability, & paying another car note, & I couldn't afford to pay $439.60. I asked if they could lower the requested amount & allow me to make payments until the balance was paid in full. The representative told me no & reiterated that the only way Ally would allow me to make payments is if I paid $439.60 & brought my account current. Well I wasn't satisfied with that so I asked to speak to a supervisor but speaking to him was equivalent to speaking to the previous rep except he added that if I didn't pay the $439.60 then it would be added to my credit report & guess what...

Every month they've been faithfully putting a missed payment on my credit report. A week later I called back to speak to a different rep and she told me the same thing. Therefore, my dissatisfaction is I can see my credit report being affected if I made no effort to pay a balance or even ignored the fact that I owed Ally $800... However I acknowledged that I rightfully owed the money & attempted to make payment arrangements. I don't think that it's fair when the customer makes an effort to set up payment arrangements & their efforts are declined.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Ok soooo it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one having issues with this finance company. These crooks make Hillary Clinton look good! They take forever to accept payment for my truck loan and then suspend my Ally mobile app profile for being late?! Somehow it's my fault though. Then start paying through my online banking bill pay and they take 2 WEEKS TO ACCEPT PAYMENTS even though it shows in my bank that they have the money but really they take 2 weeks to process and by the time it's all said and done you're considered late.

They keep stressing me to send them MoneyGrams and money orders. Absolutely not. This is 2017. I'm not paying a service charge for a money order every month. To my knowledge I should be ahead of my loan according to my bank account but they think differently. I made two vehicle payments this December but they don't have those records. Surprise surprise. Ridiculous! Not to mention you can't understand anything they say. It's always somebody with the worst broken English you ever heard. Never again with this so called “finance company”. THANKS OBAMA!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Here is a summary of what happened today: This is why I hate finance companies. I am very disgusted with Ally Auto right now. I hate writing this email as well, but because your system screws people fees are applied and they don't even say it on your website. On Monday 1/2/18 I set up the final payment of $871.08 for withdraw from the bank on 1/3/18 because that was what the full amount showing on Ally website showed was due. Ally took payment out of the bank on 1/4/18. This was the final payment with this account. Today I sign on to get the phone number so I can call to find out how long it will take to get the title returned to me. I notice it says there is a $99.08 balance.

I called and spoke with Michael and he said it was late fees, but I paid the full amount that was listed online which included the late fees or so it said. Payment is always due around 18th or 19 of each month, I sent last payment on 1/3/18 over 2 weeks early. Even after all of this I even offer to pay the $99.08 because I have someone that wants to buy this vehicle in about 10 days. I asked him if I can go ahead and set it up online again first making sure that was the entire amount and there would be no other hidden charges. He tells me I can't do it because on his end it says the $871.08 payment is pending. Funny how on the Ally website it says payment received on 1/3/18 and payment cleared the bank on 1/4/18.

So, I offered to make payment then and there over the phone since they claim this was a late fee (as in the past a few payments were late). Michael says he can't do that with a payment pending. He suggests I try to schedule a payment using tomorrow's date (website won't allow me to do that either). After about 10 minutes of getting nowhere with Michael I ask to be transferred to a supervisor. Michael instead transfers me to customer relations and I didn't catch that guy’s name but after about a minute I knew I wasn't getting anywhere with this guy. I hung up the phone. First issue I have is no-one could explain to me where this $99.08 charge was no on the website showing it needed to be paid.

Second issue (not that I expected it) I didn't even get a thank you or congratulations for sending your last payment. All I feel like I got was you owe more money. Third issue (again not that I want something for free) after all the runaround I didn't even get offered "we can waive that fee since your account is paid in full". Fourth issue is customer service is supposed to help people not what service I received. I will never buy another vehicle using Ally. If they have fees that need to be paid in order to get the title why were they not listed or listed correctly on the Ally website. I feel you're holding the title hostage and I can't even pay the required amount to get it because your online website won't allow it due to your slow processing payments.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I am coming up on my lease end on a GMC Sierra. Contractual residual buyout was 31,239.63. Now they're stating the buyout is $36,631.19. Absolute worst move I've ever seen in my 35 years on this planet. I wish I could give 0 stars. They always allowed me to call for a buyout price up until about 6 months ago and now I know why!!! I WILL NEVER EVER USE ALLY IF IT WAS THE LAST BANK ON EARTH.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Always ask who is your car loan with, If told its ALLY BANK... DO NOT DO IT. Very, poor customer service and you never get an American on the phone that can help. It is all corporate and you will have difficulty communicating with the anyone. After only falling behind 3 months my car was repossessed. I spoke with someone that Friday and was told to call back next week to arrange payment. Well Monday my car was out for to be repossessed. Worst thing is the way they treated my 83 year old mom about this. They came into private property to have car towed. Any regular credit card company gives you 4 months before they consider cutting off credit. So why repossess when it only 3 months. I explained I had financial difficulty after hurricane Irma, not even "sorry to hear" reply.

On top of that they are adding all these fees that make it impossible to get my car back, not even flexible to work with me to pay that amount. Next time around, I will try to work with smaller loan company, even if I have to pay more. I rather have the extra customer care and assistance than suffer this way. I read they went through bankruptcy very recently. I hope they shut down soon. The way this was handled was very poor and unfair. Not even when I had an issue dealing with Ford motor Credit 10 years ago did I ever go through such a thing, and I was nearly 5 months behind.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Ally Financial is by far one of the worst banks I’ve ever dealt with. Their customer service in the collections department is terrible. The people are rude and arrogant and don’t care one bit about helping their customers when they’re in any type of bind. I will never deal with them again nor would I recommend them to anyone!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I have been paying off a 2014 vehicle for the last 2 years and the dealer connected me with Ally. Never thought twice. But when your balance is $15,880 and in 3 months you made $1,300 in payments and your next statement is $15,553 still owed with a minimum payment of $403.00 due. Not exact amount. But I'm no Math expert but I'm paying 900 in finance charges? Anyone have information on how to get in on a class action suit on these guys? They have been sued before for shady practices.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Ally Auto is HORRIBLE! Since January of 2016 I have been with Ally Auto and every single month of my experience gets worse! It began in March that I had AutoPay and they took twice as much as they should have. It began to happen every month a little more each time. Then a couple days ago we had to call Ally to ask about what’s really going on. They said the account was past due which to start with was not true at all! We just allowed them to take the payment and still they keep on taking out more. I called just now and spoke to the most rude representative I have ever come across in my life Jasmine. She would not let me speak at all, she kept cutting me off and just would not listen to anything I had to say. I definitely understand why this business now only has one star! Ally Auto is a scam & this business needs to get shut down!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Once you pay off your loan it is a nightmare to get them to release your title or lien!!! Even if you pay with guarantee funds they still will not release your title or lien in a timely manner. Plan on WEEKS before you get your release. HUGE problem if you've sold your vehicle. Very UNACCEPTABLE way to do business. Also, if you complain they will place an even longer hold on your release. Very petty and childish company!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

January of 2016 I purchased a 2015 Chevrolet Traverse $4000 down from Franklin Chevrolet with my first payment due around March 5 2016. This was the start of me rebuilding my credit, and I am a single mom on a budget so I sent $1546.62 on February 10, 2016 (which covered up until May 2016). On May 4, 2016, I made a payment of $5420 certified mail.

That same night while coming from revival I was in a wreck that totalled my vehicle. The next morning I called Ally to let them know that I would need to cancel my payment because I was in an accident and the truck was totalled. I also informed her that I had full coverage insurance and a $695 gap policy that I had purchased with Ally. She informed me that she could not do anything because the payment had not been received and that I should call back. It was a Friday so I waited to call back after the weekend. Once I called back I informed them that the payment needed to be stopped.

On March 7 the company received my money orders and added the payment to my account, which I found out via online. So I called and asked why would they add the money to my account, paying for the vehicle up until June 2017 when I had informed them the vehicle was totalled? They said something about needing to wait on the insurance company, which puzzled me because I had full coverage and a Gap policy through Ally!! May 11, 2016 Progressive totalled my vehicle and sent a payout to Ally for the total vehicle's cost. Assuming everything was straight I went back to Franklin and was allowed to get another vehicle with no down payment but around $100 more a month. It wasn't a concern at the time because Ally still had $4500 of my money. I preferred Ally to finance it so they could just transfer the money onto my new account...

Long story short the people must have believed me to be ignorant. I talked to one woman who kept giving me all kinds of lame excuses as to why they couldn't give me my money back to which I would just give an educated answer... then she would try to go another route. This went on for 3 months when they threatened to take my vehicle. The sole thing I was using to build my credit was making it worse. I was stubborn at first but realized I had no choice but to keep making the payments. I talked to a lawyer and even believed that the company would do the right thing, but I see that will never happen.

All of the grammar mistakes may make you doubt it???? But I have $65000 in student loans which was spent on a MBA based mainly on ethics. I cannot understand why a company would want to take advantage of a single mother who makes prepayments!! Who tries to do the right thing. You all have no idea how rude and nasty the woman was not to mention that they took down all history of the other account once I complained. As you see it is December of 2017, Ally never had any intention on doing the right thing!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

As I was using their online Ally Auto website to make automatic payments, I scheduled payments due on a certain date for auto deduction. On the day of the deduction, they do send a confirmation that the payment has been made, but then repo your car without any notice. I notice that my car is gone and report it to the police, they advise to call my finance company. They confirmed the repo due to non payment for 3 months and 90 days overdue.

They like to argue with you saying that they have made several phone call attempts, but they do not. Now, If I am to get my car back, even with confirmation and bank proof, It will cost me $3,400, and if I do not pay by the 7th then there is another charge which is my car payment is added on to the $3400. This company is very shady. They do not accept cc payments, just bank drafts only and if by credit card, you use Western Union. Again, I never received any warning of a repo, letter, certified letter, or telephone call.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I bought a new car this year. My loan was process incorrectly due date for pay dates. Before I signed the car agreement the representative told me that my first payment was due the 5 of the each month. I told him, "I can’t do the 5th of each month. You have my paycheck stubs and you know I get paid the 10th and the 25th." I am constantly getting late fees. I have called them to change it because it was their mistake. If they had proof of my pay dates and they said I had to pay 90.80 and extra amount each time this is very ridiculous. I am requesting a phone call from this people to get my correct pay dates.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My girlfriend had her car finance with Ally and it has been a nightmare... They repo her car after her being 45 days late and after she had sent in the payment... Then when we have call to try and ratify the situation they want her to pay her next payment in advance of the due date and pay for the repo service before they release the car... My advice don't deal with these individuals. If she had read the negative review prior to her buying the car she would have tried to finance through another lender.

Ally Bank Company Information

www.ally.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use