Ally Bank

Formerly GMAC

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1st, they repoed my car after the payment was only late 1 WEEK! 2nd, they say I'm 3 months late, 3rd the repo service damaged the car. 4th - before repoing the car, THEY DIDN'T EVEN CALL TO TRY TO COLLECT THE PAYMENT, which I had. Don't go to these idiots.

My daughter has a car loan thru Ally about 2.5 weeks ago. My wife was in a car accident with this car. The car it got deemed a total loss. 1.5 weeks ago our insurance which is going to payoff loan has found Ally saying no faxes sent for payoff not true. All they want is $3.65 interest a day slowing the process. They are a joke. This bank nickels and dimes you to death. Shop around for other banks. Ally Bank a ripoff.

I cosigned for my grand daughter's car. Payments were on time for about 2 yrs. Then Wells Fargo Bank began having payments pending. First time Ally took partial payment. (Reason unknown.) I received a statement dated day after due date, for late payment of balance of payment and late charge. I sent total amount on statement. I then received a statement of past due late charge. When I called their customer service I was told late charge I had paid was credited to future payment, because I had not put on payment to credit late charge. They did finally credit to late charge.

The next month Apr/2017 Wells Fargo again showed payment pending on due date. My granddaughter called Ally and was told they were having computer problems and could not accept payment from her bank at that time but late charge would be waived. Statement I received dated Apr 13 for total payment plus late charge. I paid total amount owed. I then received a statement I owed late charge. I spent about an hour on phone with SO CALLED Customer reps, and supervisor getting same (Added to future payment). Would not transfer me to anyone else because all higher ups had stopped taking call for the day. I will be calling back daily until someone can tell me why they do not apply payment as their statement says is owed. Will never do business with Ally again and walk out if anyone offers me financing through them.

I have called several times and have to asked for a supervisor in regards to my account, that's after asking to speak to someone in the States. I feel they are RUDE, DISRESPECTFUL, HEARTLESS, and forget that customers are the reason that they have a job. I have never missed a payment nor have I ever been late, so to be treated like this is uncalled for. I will never get a loan from Ally again.

I financed a vehicle through this company. I made payments for over a year and then ended up having surgery. I tried explaining to them the hardships and got nowhere. They demanded payment and would call me multiple times a day. I looked on my account on the website and noticed all the payments I made did not even hardly reflect the price going down. I feel like their practices are outrageous. After a year it should have went down more than what it did. I then noticed everything went to interest in which you get charged for everytime anyways. So I feel that after my term would have ended I still would have a big payoff. And customer service reps are so rude and yell at me all the time. So I finally told them to come get the car as I will never do business with them ever. And it's wrong and unfair that you make payments and it does not even really affect what you owe.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

My auto was totaled; Ally bank instructed me they would open claim but sent in the wrong installment agreement to GAP. When I found out and called them, which takes more than 30 mins, and representatives that don't understand English and deny sending you to USA for help, I attempted to get time to correct, twice week and week they kept sending wrong agreement. I finally got help from the dealership and sent; GAP sending additional payment, but now I can't get anyone at Ally to admit their wrongdoing and stalling the payment. I will have over $250 still outstanding, it's their error, but they don't care. It's wrong that no one holds them accountable for their lack of customer service or caring.

We paid off our auto loan early. Have now waited over six weeks to receive the title. I have spent a couple hours on the phone being routed from the Philippines to a third-party title vendor. Here's what I have been able to ascertain: an online payment is subjected to a 2 week hold before Ally "requests" the title be released (the payment cleared the bank 2 days after I submitted it to Ally). The request is handled by a third party that Ally contracts with to handle the titles. They say it was sent 2 weeks after I paid the loan off, but I found a somewhat forthright rep that advised the "sent" date in the computer was just Ally advising that it was okay to mail the title and it could take another 10 business days before it was actually mailed. I waited 2 more weeks. Still nothing.

Apparently Ally cares so much about their customers that were never late with a payment that they send the titles out USPS regular mail. WHAT?! Have never experienced a title being sent regular mail. The Philippines advised that they could send out an Affidavit of Lien Release that I could take to the state DMV and get a duplicate title. So a good customer of Ally must expend my time to wait in the DMV line. If I want Ally to get a duplicate title I have to wait until 30 days after their computer says the title was mailed to request a duplicate title and start the whole maddening process over again. Finally got in contact with a rep in Corporate Accounting (yes, I was given that number as Corp Customer Relations). She has been the only one demonstrating any diligence in trying to get me the title.

Conclusion: Ally may offer decent rates and seem like a good lender, but when it comes to Ally demonstrating any amount of good faith once the loan is paid off you can forget about it. GO TO A LENDER that takes their obligations once the loan is paid off as serious as they take the customers' obligation to make timely payments.

There is so much wrong with this company's practices. I got a new bank account, and set up the payments to come out of the new account. Ally still kept taking payments out of my old account resulting in over $200 in overdraft fees. Every time this happened I called. Every time I called I was told the account information was updated. Clearly an error on their part but still I have no compensation for their mistake. After this I try to refinance. And they mark my account as late even though I am current 100%. My sure date isn't until the 28th. They were saying I'm past due and it's the 24th. If you have no option but to go with this company I suggest you lawyer up.

I purchased a 2015 Chrysler 200 in August of 2015. I originally went to the dealer because the Jeep was under mandatory recall. The Jeep was old and needed to be replaced. I was offered $800 for the Jeep. Also, the dealer presented me with the 2015 Chrysler. I was not working, but had a little money saved. I gave the dealer an additional $500 toward the down payment, totally $1,300.00. I was approaching graduation with a Master's degree in October and was hoping to be employed with a good job shortly after graduation. The salesman swayed my decision to purchase the vehicle by stating that I could have the contract rewritten in a year. I struggled with making $469.00 per month payment. Therefore, I was in constant contact with customer service. Throughout the year, customer service representatives assured me that I could have the contract rewritten to lower my payments after twelve payments were made.

I found a part time, low paying job to help with making the payments. With difficulty, I made twelve payments and requested a rewrite. I was told by a customer service representative that I would have to make twenty-four payments, an additional twelve, in order to get a rewrite. Subsequently, the car was repossessed in February of 2017 and Ally sold it for $12,000. I paid close to $6,000 in twelve payments. Now, Ally wants me to pay them an extra $8,000.00 because they said I broke a promise. I would argue that they broke a promise to me. Ally sold a 2015 vehicle with no accidents, and (in excellent condition) with only 4,000 miles on it for $12,000.00. Does that make sense??? I am a minority and I think they used predatory lending practices in my situation.

If I could give 0 stars, I would. That's how horrid this bank is. I had to get a deferment recently and someone screwed it up, so I got relentless harassing calls on my cell because my payment was "late" in their system. Even though I had supposedly gotten a deferment. After speaking to FIVE people I spoke to a supervisor who basically called me a liar and said that I didn't call and get a deferment for that month. It was the most stressful process I've ever had to deal with. The calls if you are late even after notifying them that you will be late are borderline harassment. The second I am able to I will be refinancing through a different company, never have I ever dealt with such insanity with a bank for an auto loan. DO NOT FINANCE YOUR CAR WITH THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

This company keeps calling my cell and home phone. I am not the person they are asking for nor do I know who or where they are. THIS is harassment!!! I have returned call and no one can help me. One person is as ignorant and rude as the next. I have picked up and asked them not to call me. This has been going for one almost a year!!! THEY don't get off phone. PLEASE help! Tell Emelda and Briana ** to stop calling. Take me off their list. Be better detective.

We called to get a payoff on a car and we needed a release of lien right away so we could get plates on the car. They gave us the payoff amount and said to send a cashier’s check. We did that. After 2 weeks of mailing it to them they could not find it and said it would take 10 business days to post it. So we had the check stop payment and had the bank reissue the check. It took 5 days for that one to be posted.

Every time I talk to someone I don't believe they were in the United States. And of course they told me they sent the release of lien letter on the 12th out in the mail. This is the 21st and we still do not have the release of lien letter. But on the 14th they sent out a letter to us stating we stop payment on a cashier’s check that they finally found. We received the letter dated on the 14th on the 20th but yet to receive the lien. I asked if they could fax to me. They gave a reference # and told me to call back in and give a fax #. When I called again she could not take a fax # to send me the lien letter. This has been going on for 30 days and I need the release of lien letter. How do I get it?

Ally "agents" gave me bad information that ended up costing me hundreds of dollars towards my auto loan. When I presented proof that I was given bad information, they still didn't fix the issue. TERRIBLE business ethics, I would never trust my money with Ally. I will NEVER use Ally again. They are dishonest and only care about taking your money at any cost. DO NOT USE ALLY!!!

If it would let me pick 0 stars that would be too many -- we had a loan with Ally. The loan was paid off. We received a satisfaction and lien release from them yet every day they call and harass us with past due amount today they came to repossess our vehicle - there is no loan no money owed. We have sent them a copy more than 5 times of the lien release to them although they sent us the release - you cannot speak to anyone that understands or can help. It is like speaking to robots - we have had unneeded mental anguish and no one can help us. Another account was always up to date and yet now although it states online they received our payment on time we are now past due -- they are the worst finance company ever they cannot understand anything and no one can help.

The change of total loss department in 2016 has caused me continuous problems. I had a accident in March 2016. Didn't know until March of 2017 that there was a balance (after having Gap). Numbered Ally phone conversations where I have been hung up on! It's easy to take my money but hard to get any sound cooperative results from workers at this company. I would not finance anything from this company again!! Poorly run company. If they can't help you they will transfer you or just hang up on up!!! But they'll call you I bet if you late on payment.

My son wanted to buy a car, his first. We found one and he wanted it but because he showed no credit history they said I had to cosign. They said he would be primary owner and I would be co-signer. For two years he has made all of his payments ON TIME! I now am eligible to buy a house but because I was lied to and made the principle owner this shows on my credit record as my debt and lessens my chances of home ownership. Called Ally to ask to make this loan my son's alone. Reading from a script they told me it could not be done. My son has made every payment, never been late, now has a credit card, a personal loan all paid on time and Ally said they couldn't help me. They told me to find another lender. What idiots would lose a good paying account and get negative grief such as I am about to dole out every which way but lose, ALLY that's who!

My payment sat for 2 weeks and eventually bounced because I was lead to believe an online payment is applied in a few days. Silly me, right? This happened several times before I realized the issue was on Ally's side. Ally decided too many of my payments were bouncing and closed my account. They didn't give me a free car. I still have to pay them but now I am being forced to spend 20.00 to Western Union the payments.

I can't access my account online nor can I see how much I owe. Ally took this ability away from me simply because I assumed their antiquated system would charge my payment to my bank account within a few days. What's the excuse here? I was paying on time but Ally dragged their feet. This is a tactic so they can repo my car. They have done this to more than one customer. They cripple or put obstacles in the way of paying. Delay the debits so you assume they took it out a few days after paying. Sneaky scum!

If I can gas my car and it debits my account right away, why can't the same be true when I pay online like I always do? So with no ability to see how much I owe, they force me to call and speak to this lady with a Russian accent who can barely pronounce simple words. Anyway, to go through their long, intentionally annoying questions to authorize the review of the account. This dingbat at Ally asks every single time, "Why are your payment late." I have to then tell her the story. Since I now call to report a payment, I reminded this dingbat to check her notes for the answer. But in an effort to annoy me, she pretends she did not understand my instruction and asks again and again.

This is Ally's way of upsetting customers. They do not like us. They know their systems are antiquated but they want to have bloated bank accounts of money, money, money. I will never use Ally again. Oh and Ally changed their name from GMAC. They did this because of the negative rep GMAC had but since Ally has idiots for employees, their reputation simply carries over under the new name. Ally Auto is run by idiots!

I opened a interest bearing savings account with Ally bank. It was a recurring acct. Then, I get an e-mail stating my account was cancelled! However, I didn’t cancel it, but had to re-do everything online again, because they claim they don’t do recurring accts. on their end. OK, so I open another recurring savings acct. and I just so happened to log into my bank to see if the payment went through, and I almost have a heart attack, because it said the amount they were transferring was $6,000 dollars! WTF! This cannot be happening!! It was suppose to be $60!

I call the bank and talk to a rep., who had no empathy, skill or care of what a huge mistake this was, and how it would impact the customer. I asked for a Supervisor, but she was even worse, and said that I made the error! Excuse me, hell no! I know damn well I did not do this! There's obviously a glitch in your system that adds zeros to the equation! I cancelled my acct. and thank God, my bank saved me and said that I would not be out the $6,000! BEWARE! OF ALLY BANK!

It's been many years since I have had the level of frustration I just experienced with Ally Financial. I am marching off to the bank right now and getting as far away as possible from Ally. The customer service reps are like robots incapable of thought.

I had the worst experience with Ally as far as the customer service. I tried to get a pay off letter for almost three weeks and never did. I requested it to be sent over the fax and also to be mailed. They said that they faxed it each time I called back, but never did. The fax number was from the bank that I am refinancing with. Even the bank manager was on the phone with them, waiting by the fax machine. They kept saying that the letter was faxed, later they admitted that they needed more info, so on and so forth.

I mention that the fax machine that I provided the number belongs to the bank that I am refinancing with and it is always on and I confirmed the number multiple times. They dragged it so I can make another payment to them. After many conversations and requests, one customer representative said that they are answering from the Philippines and they cannot send faxes from there, and that it would be sent from the US. I understand it is my right to receive a pay off letter, so I can refinance the loan for my vehicle.

I have had the worst experience with Ally. I returned my car freshly painted and was charged over $600 in exterior damages, that, by the way did not show up in the tiny images posted. I will NEVER use Ally, or any car company that uses them ever again. I submitted my payment and it was removed from my bank account and I was harassed for weeks, even though it apparently posted 3 days after it was removed from my checking account. I was also charged $35 that was automatically deducted from my bank account without my approval after my car was returned, and then charged another $35 in the $600 again. NEVER AGAIN.

My husband is going out for surgery in a couple of days in which he will be on medical leave for two months. He only gets 60% of his pay. Last week he called Ally and spoke to a female customer service agent to see if we could get lower payments on his car loan for the two months he was out of work on leave. She looked into it and put us on hold to speak to her supervisor. She comes back on the phone and tells us that we got approved for smaller payments and for this month and next to only pay a partial payment in which she gave us the exact amount to pay. We were unsure of how to go about paying this amount if it did not show online through Ally's website and she WALKED us through how to pay the amounts given. The rest of the amount we owed would be tacked on to the end of our car loan as an extra monthly payment.

Fast forward to the next week. We have been getting harassed by Ally for the extra $200 we did not pay on our car loan because we were told by the young lady to only pay partially. We told the first person this and they said ok and hung up. Today we get a call and they were telling us that our payment was delinquent. We call customer service for Ally. Apparently we were supposed to be told that there was another approval step to go through and if we were approved we would receive a letter in the mail with various information for us to make payments. We were never told this. They demanded us to pay the extra $200 and we tried to tell the gentleman that is not what we were told and that we previously spoke to a lady regarding our account and this is what she told us.

We were getting nowhere so we asked for a supervisor. She proceeds to tell us that everyone is trained in the same manner and follows the same steps. We asked her why this other lady told us that we were approved, gave us the ACTUAL PAYMENT AMOUNT to pay and even walked us through how to pay it. She had nothing to say for that, she kept saying over and over that there are steps that they take and everyone takes the same steps and that there was a second approval process to go through. We were getting nowhere for a half an hour so we ask for another supervisor. A gentleman comes on and we tell him the same thing. Nothing. He said that we need to make the extra $200 payment.

We asked him if this first lady did not have the authority to approve our request then why did she say it was approved, how did she come up with those two payment numbers, and why did she walk us through the steps to go through to pay it. So now our account shows that we're late because we didn't pay the full amount, the first time we've ever not paid the full amount, and we told them that because of my husband's surgery it will take a couple of weeks before he sees a check from disability from his work. Can we be guaranteed that our car will not be repossessed? 'We can't do that sir'. So now Ally, whose commercials focus on great customer service, is penalizing their customer for something an ALLY EMPLOYEE did. We only paid what we were told to pay by an Ally employee, but yet we are at fault.

So essentially she lied to us according to what we've been told by the customer service supervisors. We asked for another higher up supervisor and the gentleman would not give us one. He said he was the manager. We know he has a boss, but he said he could not give out that information. I asked for a corporate e-mail address to write to and he said they didn't have one. What corporation does not have an e-mail address? He could give us a mailing address and that was it. Yeah, so my letter can mysteriously not arrive at Ally? So it can take months to be read and replied to? No thanks. He said he would send our request to an escalation service. How long will that take? A week or two.

Thanks Ally for such GREAT customer service. I will never do business with them again. They lie to their customers and then turn around and make it to be their faults. We are getting penalized for something THEIR employee told us to do and even said she had supervisor approval to do. Apparently she lied to us, the customer. A customer in great standing with Ally. When they answer their phones, they claim their calls may be recorded. If that is true, then why can't they go back and play back the tape or read a log of what was said during that call. Ally has the worst customer service I've ever seen and your commercials are false advertising because you care nothing for your customers.

I truly believe the devil himself runs Ally Financial auto division. They have outsourced the division to the Philippines who are poorly versed in the English language. I had all of the exact same experiences that the other people have had. I wasn't able to get my car title for over a year, had to make numerous calls to their 800 number trying to speak to the pretend supervisor, calling some place called the registration department to get a number and it still took an additional 6 weeks to get a title in which they had registered in Virginia while I lived in Florida. Only to find out that they had never changed the title into my name.

I have made my payments on time which is automatically debited out of my account from Wells Fargo bank and they are trying to charge me late fees each month. When I overpay by 1-200 dollars they still say I am late and that if I want it applied to my principle only I will have to wait and call back in 48 hours to have it applied to the account. This type of fraudulent activity should be illegal, but because they are outsourced we the consumers are held hostage. Writing and complaining to their headquarters is a waste of time.

Purchased a vehicle in January 2017, first payment due March 2017, I paid three payments in February, and two so far in March... Apparently ALLY charges 2.97 a day for finance charge, currently my next payment is due in August 2017. That just seems a li'l different to me... With all of the payments I have made, 15% has gone to finance charges. Seriously, WTF.

BORROWER BEWARE!!!! Ally Financial are a rip off. Please read up on auto financing companies before signing any paperwork with this lender. Their APR is ridiculous! Customer service is horrible. I am leaving them for much better company. Better rates, and faster payoff.

I leased a Chevy Malibu through Ally Financial. When I turned the car in I knew that the back bumper had a scratch from a runaway shopping cart. I further understood that I was responsible to pay for that ($180). There was no other damage to the car. The Ally rep waited 6 days to pick up the car from the dealership. Pictures taken by that rep show the car had been sitting for those 6 days, backed into a parking slot with the front bumper exposed. I received a bill from Ally for $360. I spoke with Dave, an Ally rep, and explained that there was no front bumper damage when I turned the car in. His telephone behavior was rude and disrespectful. He did admit that there was a 6 day delay in Ally coming for the car.

I filed a dispute and he told me I would have an answer in 24-48 hours. I did not hear from them until 15 days later when, of course, they denied my dispute. Ally called me 4-5 times every work day since then. I have now paid the full payment even though I am continuing to dispute the additional $180 claim for the front bumper. Ally is not to be trusted. I feel they are fraudulent. The car dealership has stated that they have discontinued all business contact with Ally after receiving multiple complaints from customers.

An fraudulent attempt was made to get money out of my account. Ally blocked my debit card and online access. I called the third party company that had contacted me and they cancelled my debit card but that was all they could do. I called the main Ally number and was able to order a new debit card, but they couldn't unlock my online access so I had to call the fraud dept. The person in the fraud dept. was able to unlock my online access, but a week later it was again locked. I had received, activated, and used my new debit card but then that became unusable.

I am once again on hold on the main number as no one is answering the number for the fraud dept., but they can't help me. I talked to some sleazy woman in the fraud dept., which is a different number, and located on the East Coast, and only open until 5:00 EST, and she was asking me the standard "security" questions, but then she said I didn't answer fast enough, and that I would have to email pictures of my driver's license, social security card, and a utility bill to prove who I was (note - I answered the questions correctly but her fat filled ears didn't hear me I guess). As soon as (or if) I can get my account access back I am transferring all money to another bank. I thought Ally was a good idea when they first opened, but it has been all downhill with them for me.

Ally Financial has found a loophole in fair debt and credit practices act in which they harass, abuse consumer leaving virtuously helpless and at their illegally obtained mercy. Paid seven (7) payments. Sent bank verification of same and yet Ally refuses credit for these payments, won't acknowledge there is legitimate dispute and Ally threatens repo. HELP ANYONE! ATTY GENERAL worthless. Consumer financial protection agency pretends to try to help... BOTTOM LINE ALLY IS GETTING AWAY WITH NUMEROUS CRIMES!!! That's right, crimes. It needs to stop now! Anyone out there who can help.

I financed a jeep last year and paid all of my payments on time up until I was involved in a car accident, not my fault and my jeep was deemed totaled in June. I notified Ally that my insurance would be contacting them for a payoff amount. My insurance paid and the remaining balance was sent to my gap insurance. Months later I get a bill from Ally for what they call a finance charge. When I call, the reps just repeat that I have a balance with late fees assessed because my payment for January and now past due in collections. I have a copy of the exact amount submitted to my gap insurance and the copy of the check for that exact amount. The temps just tell me the amount left is what the gap insurance didn't pay on, but how is that when the check was written for the exact amount that was sent to them to pay..?

I just get transferred to diff depts and yet apparently no one has a supervisor because when I ask for one they just transfer me. I have never in my life loathed a company with a passion as much as I do Ally Financial. After 9 phone calls and hanging up on them because I get nowhere, no one can still tell me what this charge is for and instead of contacting my gap insurance to resolve it, they expect me to play middle man to ask why my gap insurance didn't pay... Are you kidding me? They didn't pay it because you didn't include it in the total you sent them, I just deal with. Bunch of ** morons! I don't recommend anyone to this company.

I moved to Oregon and tried registering my car for OVER A YEAR but Ally would never send the title to the DMV. Over many months I called and spoke to numerous associates who said they were sending it, but when I would call they would tell me that it wasn't sent (and that they would send it). I'm having to change financiers to get my car registered. I've spent hundreds of dollars on temporary registration fees because of Ally. Stay away from this inept company!

Ally Bank Company Profile