Ally Bank

Formerly GMAC

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My sister turned in her Ally Lease on 1-12-17 to the dealership as required by Ally, she was not told the dealership is not considered as an authorized Ally representative. The car sat at the dealership until 1-31-17 when Ally finally had an appraiser come and take pictures, they then send a letter saying there is damage to the car that was not seen by any of us or the dealership, charging her $380 for the damage, that they are not even required to fix. I called for her as she is 79 and I try to handle things for her, the first girl was very rude and did not want to let me speak to a supervisor, but when she finally did the supervisor was just as rude. They refused to listen and was advised that they are not required to tell you that the dealership is not really authorized to take the car back or inspect it, even though that's what they tell you to do.

The supervisor did finally reduce it by $75, but she still had to pay $305 for damages we never saw. They are so rude that no one in my family will ever lease another car from them or deal with them in any way. So she had to pay for the unrepaired damages to the car and they sold the car as is, I think that's called double dipping. Do not lease from this company.

I cosigned a loan at Ally Financial for my son. He has made his payments on time. He need some relief in Dec because of his divorce. He requested his Dec payment to be rolled to the end, they told him all he had to do was pay 123.21 and they would do it. Now they are showing him past due and late payments. Then they hit my credit score 100 points for late pay.

If I could give zero stars I would! I have had Ally for a year and a half. I make my payments on my app on my phone. I was late on my last payment by eight days but have NEVER missed a payment. They took double the amount of payment out this time and now will not refund it and will not apply it to the next month, stating I was behind on payment. On my app, you can see a payment history! I have made EVERY payment. So if they took out double for February payment, it only makes sense that I shouldn't have to make my next payment until April. They just repeat the same thing. They don't even try to understand you. There is no one higher than them to speak with. They supposedly have to send email for them to contact you. I told them I wanted a supervisor from the United States to contact me. I will never use them again! Unfortunately, my family members have car payments through this company as well! Ugh!

Ally has blocked my account three times over the five years that I have been with them... All without warning. I only find out when the ATM does not give me money or, worse yet, a check bounces. Each time, I have been put on hold for long periods of time before the issues have been resolved. This time I realized that I am the fool for putting up with this type of customer service. Goodbye, Ally.

Worst experience I have had. Could not get info. and could not understand staff due to poor English skills. If I would have known that Ally does business offshore I would not have done business with them. Had the worst time trying to get car loan titles after payoff, took 24 days. Will never do business with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

My dad died. Everything is in probate. They came on my property not my dad's and took the car. I have called three times telling them "it's in probate. As soon as it's over I would like to buy the cars." "Will send you papers." Never got them... And then after you took the car with no paperwork and trespass on my property. You are selling it and I get a letter certified to my dad at my address. If you don't get what's on the rest of the loan you are going to make him pay for it. Good luck... come on it's a 2013 Chrysler 200 with one thousand miles on it and there's $14'000 left on the loan. Don't ever go with them. If anything says Ally on it walk away. I know you broke the law somewhere. I will see you in court.

HORRIBLE. Do not bank here. One of the worst banks I have had to deal with in 35 years. My car loan had been paid off since 2/5, it is now 2/20 and it has not been reported as closed to credit agencies so I can purchase another vehicle. Their excuse is that they do it "every 1st of the month" - so I would need to wait from 2/5 when they cashed their $9008 until 3/1 to be able to purchase another vehicle. I have not received a Lien Release either.

Everyone there BARELY speaks English, so if you need to get ahold of someone, be sure you have an hour and a half to wait on hold, and then barely understand them. After the one hour and a half of waiting on hold, be ready to be told different stories by customer service and then their glorified "account manager" - another non-English speaker poor person who has no clue how to do their job. I will be reporting this to BBB in the next few minutes... because since I have no car and no place to go, I have LOTS of time on my hands to leave reviews.

My account was hacked by a store swiper and Ally treated me like I was the thief. They locked down my account and wouldn't release the funds until I filled out a 6 page form that mostly had nothing to do with the theft. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General and am still fighting with them to get the remaining funds released.

These people insist on calling and harassing me, and impacting my credit, as if they opened and new acct. The car was totaled in March of 2016, my insurance company paid, gap also paid. They continued to add interest on the vehicle. And when I called and asked for a pay off when the car was totaled they told me they did not know!

I was also told the insurance payment and gap payment was reversed. So they were calling me everyday 5 or 6 times a day. I told them to cease and desist from calling me. I was so angry because they are over charging me continuing to add interest as if I have the car. And they kept asking me if I had the car when I told them the car was totaled. They started my payments over as if I had just got the car and sent me a statement saying my payment is due November 2016 for the same amount I was paying every month. Like I never wrecked the car and as I just purchased it. They are ripping me off I have a print out screen where they reversed all the payments, so they can add late charges. They are still harassing me and adding negative information to my credit even though I disputed it.

I have the worst communications with this company. They have foreigners answering the phone with not a bit of customer service in their bones. They harass you on the phone asking about payment and disregard their customer's wishes and requests. I simply called to reset my online pw so that I could pay online without their wack fees and instead the rep hounded me/bullied me/and harassed me about when I would be making my payment. I'm not obligated to answer because you are hounding me and I felt disrespected in the moment. I had to callback twice to finally get my login and paid my bill before I was off the phone with their rude asses. FYI: You shouldn't bully or harass your customers. Then they won't write reviews like this.

I've been an Ally Auto customer for almost 2 years. After my mother suffered a heart attack, I requested to defer two payments and extend my loan so I could have extra funds to care for her. They granted me the extension and took my down payment immediately, and told me they would fax the papers right over. It's now over 10 days later, and still no paperwork, despite SIX CALLS TO ALLY. Meanwhile, they tell me that if my next due date comes before the paperwork is signed and processed, they will report me as late to the credit bureau.

It's been an absolute disaster of a customer experience. I spoke with 5 different reps over 10 days time, each one telling me I'd have the paperwork within 48 hours. I made a payment on the 8th, received an email confirmation from Ally that the payment was applied on the 9th, and when I call in, the auto account info says the payment was made on the 13th.?? When I inquired as to the discrepancy, the rep rolled three different explanations as I, one by one, shared proof with her that they had my payment in their actual bank account on the 9th.

On the date they claimed to have faxed me, I instead received a different fax. It was official correspondence from a Bank of America representative, to their customer, informing them of rate changes to their account. It contained the customer's full name, contact information, phone number and account number. I'm pretty sure this is a blatant breaking of a regulation... if I was Bank of America, I'd be pretty upset to know my call center is mixing up my faxes with another bank's and sharing secure information so irresponsibly. Yikes.

I finally canceled my extension request, after reading the other complaints about extensions here on this CA forum. I can see the same thing happening to me, as has happened to others, and I don't want to take any chances with my credit rating. I am grateful for these other postings... they saved me from a bad situation. When customers request an extension, it's usually because some stress has occurred in their lives. I am absolutely baffled at how Ally actually increases the stress on you, with their incompetence and lack of honesty.

I would never do business with this bank again... even if it means never again buying from my dealer, who I absolutely love... because this is their preferred lender. I won't support any company that supports Ally. I have lost complete trust in Ally. After this experience, I really do believe their reps are simply unskilled and incompetent in their abilities. Yes, they are obviously outside the U.S., but it's more than that. They are clearly all quite young, and likely don't even have auto payments or mortgages themselves. So they have no understanding of the process they are part of. Many have poor attitudes. In fact, I would even go so far as to suggest these young people are deliberately trying to sabotage Ally's American customers.

My car was totaled and my insurance paid for most of it. I only owed a few hundred to a thousand, I've received a bill for 300$ so I paid them. A few weeks later I received a bill for 500$. I got down to my last 250$ and made a half payment and then two weeks later I received a phone call saying I owe 400$. I've talked to at least 3 people in between these two weeks and no one said anything about other fees nor were these fees on the bill. Do not I repeat DO NOT get involved with this institution.

I have a 2016 vehicle from a car dealer. Ally is the financial company that is owner so I make my payment directly to them. But the car dealer that I got my car from refuses to turn over the title to Ally even though Ally paid them for the car. My problem is when I call to talk to someone no one can help me with my problem. I can't understand the accent that just about all the reps speak, and they refuse to get the dealer to turn over the title to them. So in all this is just the worst bank I have ever dealt with.

Worst banking experience. Ally bank is impossible to get accurate and needed information, the offshore call center staff is completely worthless and the information given by them is either incomplete or just wrong. I will never do business with Ally and I hope others will read this and do the same, this company needs to be put out of business! My daughter bought a car and the dealership got her a loan through Ally. She was making payments and doing fine, but then the bank started charging late fees every month and when she called the support center would say her account was fine and drop the fee.

After 9 months the amount of time dealing with Ally became more difficult, so we refinanced with another bank. Then suddenly Ally reports 3 30+ day late payments on her credit. We have been fighting these for 6 months with no resolution because TransUnion and Equifax only believe the bank. There were never late payments and never three, yet this is what she has to live with on her credit. She is only 20 and Ally has hurt her start to life! A tough lesson for a young adult, but she can't get a loan on her own until this is removed. Ally needs to be stopped.

I spent hours on the 5 different phone calls with Ally Bank, simply trying to open and fund a money market savings account. After applying online, I got a letter in the mail saying they rejected my application since they couldn't verify my identity. No-one asked me by phone or email for more information (like a driver's license copy) which would have allowed me to assist them in verifying my identity. Instead, they rejected it outright. I re-applied 2 more times, each time calling Ally's customer service to make sure I was doing everything possible to verify my identity. Customer service told me different things each time. I finally got someone to call over to Deposit Operations to give me a fax number so I could send more information, but I still got a rejection letter in the mail with the same generic "Couldn't verify applicant's identity" response.

Finally, I call customer service once more and ask for a supervisor. He was very kind and helpful and applied for me in his system, which was immediately approved. He didn't know why mine was rejected so many times. So, I then attempted to transfer funds into my new account, but the transfer fails. The website doesn't say why, so I had to call Ally again (for the 6th and 7th time) to try to find out why. They tell me the information for the other account was incorrect, but I verified the numbers over the phone and they were correct. The customer service agent admitted he didn't know what I should do except to try re-verifying the account and trying again.

By this time, I've already spend a total of 6 hours on this account with nothing to show for it and an impending warning from Ally by email to fund my account soon, or the account would be closed automatically. So with no faith for Ally's ability to actually let me use their services, I called Ally for the last time to close my account. People, please stay away from Ally Bank. I spend way more time than I should have giving them the benefit of the doubt. Use your local credit union instead, and I promise you'll save time, and therefore money.

On 1/19/2017 I returned a 2014 Jeep Cherokee at the end of a 3 yr 30000 mile lease. The odometer had 27006 miles on it. On 1/30/2017 I received a bill for $807.00 for excessive tire wear, $201.75 per tire. The bill demanded immediate payment. No contact information was given. On 2/2/2017, two days later, I received another bill also demanding immediate payment. I phoned them and said the car was only driven by me, never on unpaved roads, or in icy or snowy conditions, and that I'm 63 years old, and the wear on the tires could only be normal or less than normal. I was told that when I signed the lease I agreed to pay these ridiculous charges. I thought Ally Financial was a respectable institution. In my opinion, they are a backroom scam operation. I have an excellent credit rating, always made payments on time, and will never do anything with Ally again.

Cannot contact by email for complaint or customer service. Online pay is not correct fields, cannot pay late charge online or make additional payment. Customer service is terrible, almost impossible to understand. Only way to pay late charge is to call them and be on hold. Will not use this bank again ever!

It's difficult to get anywhere with the personnel. They have told me repeatedly that they will call me back, they never do. I have asked very nicely for a payoff of my vehicle. They say they will call me back in a timeline and don't follow through. Every time I call it's at least 15 minutes, if you raise your voice at all they ask if they can put you on hold and come back 5 minutes later. Funny thing is I am on hold right now and wrote this whole thing in half the time I've been waiting.

So I ended up with a loan from GM Financial (who is FANTASTIC btw) and then my loan was sold off to Ally. Like other people posting comments, I had engine trouble with my vehicle and had to make the decision between making a monthly payment and fixing the car. I chose to fix the car and then get caught up. HUGE mistake. The calls were non-stop even though I called them ahead of time to let them know what was happening.

After a period of time, I was so frustrated with Ally that I told them to just come get the car. For as much as they call, you would think they would pick it up the next day. No - It took them two months to come get the car and auction it off. Honestly, I was just happy to be rid of them so I waited to see what the balance would be after auction. Total was $11k. Without any notification, the new amount was immediately sent to a law firm who then offered to settle. I agreed to settlement offer (which saved me $). Instead of sending me confirmation of the settlement, I receive a NEW letter from Ally informing me that I owe even more than the original 11k. Complete cluster. I recently received a court document from a NEW Law Firm that wants the full 11k plus interest. Whatever you do... Stay away from Ally.

Having gone through a divorce a couple years back, my credit rating was far from perfect. Initially, Ally Financial gave me a loan with a better rate than I expected. I am 48 years old, have purchased numerous cars and dealt with the "we finance" places, credit unions, and banks. This was a pleasant experience, without issues or drama. The initial set up of my automatic deduction took a little while but no longer than I expected. Once it was done, I have had no problems over the 28 months that I have been with the company and everything has gone smoothly. I recommended this company to my youngest son when he purchased his first new car.

Our new truck was financed thru Ally and was the worst experience I have had with a loan. Our first payment was due on Jan 3, 2017 with a 10 day grace period before it is considered late. One the 4th of Jan Ally started calling my husband’s cell phone and not leaving a message. It was an 800 number so we thought it as a solicitor. After many times they called we called back to ask them to stop calling. It was Ally financial collection dept. wanting to know where their payment was. I explained to them we have a 10 day window and payment was mailed on the 2nd. I told them to never call back again. I called another financial co and got approved for a loan at a lower interest rate. No one should ever use this company. They are horrible.

Let me start by saying my car payment is $145 for my car because I put a lot of money down. Like so many people, I have suffered an income loss due to the economy. I called Ally and let them know that my car payment would be three days late because of my financial situation. The due date was the 10th and I paid them on the 13th. Needless to say, on the 11th my home phone blew up! I had countless calls from them. One after the other, after the other.

I have an outstanding balance on the loan of 4k and have never been late! Let me reiterate, the payment is $145 with an outstanding balance owed of 3k. I do not have a $500 month payment with an outstanding balance of 30,000. I am beyond disgusted and I will never use them again. EVER! I was also charged a late fee which I paid so the Ally Mafia will leave me alone. You would think they would call people that are 3 or more payments behind with large balances owed. I am so glad I called them and let them know I would be late.

Extension was asked for on December 19. I got it and mailed it back in with my check. I was told that you have 10 days. They cash the check and never accepted the extension so they call and they want more money and sign another extension. How stupid do I look? Don't let Ally screw you. Screw them.

The dealer chose this stupid bank for me. I looked at my statement and am wondering why my interest payments never seem to go down. I contacted them and I get some idiot in the Philippines - are you kidding? I googled to get a USA number and it is not published. I filed a complaint with the banking commission and never heard back. I called the Findlay Chevrolet dealership and told them what was going on and never heard back. I am pissed. Now I am making copies and sending it to my local politician - oh wait - it's Democrat here in Vegas - UGH!!!

Every month Ally is stealing my money. My principal doesn't seem to be going down and it's because they are charging me interest on the full loan amount!!! OMG!!! Nobody cares that this bank is ripping off American consumers and employing customer reps overseas that can barely speak English!!! WTF!!! I am going to fight this all the way and get all my money back! Stay away from ALLY!

I have tried to reach these people about fixing my credit after ruining it. All you get is people who you can’t understand and have no clue how to help you! My car was traded in and paid off and they have yet to have the bad mark they put on my credit fixed! Never again!!!

I have lost my business, so I got behind on 2 payments on my auto loan. I have been threatened by customer service for weeks by phone. This continues even after speaking to them umpteen times in a 2 week span. My truck payments had been made on time for 4 1/2 years. Today 1/6/17 I received another customer service person with a bad attitude. He stated my double payment was returned. He said it was my or my bank’s fault. This took them 5 days to get this info to me. Now I'm over the accrued time and it's going to repossession. I personally went to the bank and the person did some research to find they never tried to get the payment. I call back and let him know this and he said it's still my bank’s fault. If you are getting a car loan through this godforsaken company, don't do it. THERE ARE THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT ALLY. WHY ISN'T SOMETHING BEING DONE ABOUT THIS ONLINE ONLY BANK?

Horrible, horrible, horrible. 12/15 – I contacted Ally regarding extend one month’s payment, which the rep approved. I paid $126+ in order to extend the payment. 12/21 – Regular monthly payment was withdrawn from my account in addition to my paying the $126+ to extend said payment. 12/22 – I called and spoke with a rep, then assistant supervisor, who told me it was Ally’s error, but that it would take almost one month to refund. I said that was unacceptable since it was Ally’s error. I was told it would take 24 – 48 hours for a scheduled call with a supervisor. I asked him to schedule and to call me back the next day with any additional information.

12/23 – The assistant supervisor called me and told me he was going to try to push the refund through quicker, but did not schedule a call with a supervisor as requested. He said he would at that point. I still have never received a call from the supervisor. 12/30– I called again and spoke with an assistant supervisor who said she would try to get this pushed through quicker, would call me back, AND schedule a call with a supervisor. No response at all.

1/5 - Posted on Social Media my frustrations, and received a public response to contact them at autorep@ally.com. Provided my information and the summary of events. NO RESPONSE AGAIN. Out of my 750+ friends on Facebook, THREE indicated that a similar thing happened to them by Ally, then I check on Yelp and ConsumerAffairs. It appears they do this all the time. DO. NOT. USE.

This is the most pathetic excuse of a bank. The motor blew on our vehicle, called on November 9, 2016, asking about refinancing the vehicle to afford the engine replacement, not an option. NO LOAN MODIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER. Asked about a personal loan, considering this was our second car with Ally, again, not an option. I told them "come get the car, I cannot afford the car payments and repairs." Was told he could extend the note, he would send me a letter that I sign and send back with the payment. Never got this letter. Called in about it on December 9, and was told I am now past due. After an hour of explaining everything over and over, finally got to talk to a manager. She said she would honor the original extension. They collected the payment of course, and told me the letter would be here in 10 days. It took 12.

Of course the entire time, receiving 3-4 collection calls every day minus Sunday. Signed it and tried to fax it back, the fax number on the letter is answered by a recording. Called for another fax number, had to spend an hour explaining the notes on the account, and was told to use the secure msg option on the website. Finally got it set up, and then the website was down. I called again, and another hour explaining the situation over and over again, was told mail it with the last part of the extension payment. Still getting the collection calls daily. Was told the entire time this account is not considered late, but guess what's on my credit report. Correct, 60 days past due.

This "bank" is 100% outsourced and you have to constantly repeat yourself because they flat out don't listen. Their guarantees are lies. You pay the penalty when they fail, and to boot, late fees all over the account. Deciding on voluntary repo as I type this. On a lighter side, Liberty Mutual fixed my bill and was more than helpful.

Whenever I contact Ally I always receive a foreign person who does not speak English well. I can't understand what they are saying and they cannot understand either. The customer service is awful. They have no sympathy for you or any situation you are in, nor do they care about what you're saying. I have been disconnected on not only by reps but also by supervisors. I have called this company over 150 times and I've only been financing through them for a year and 2 months. I have used extensions, papers have been lost in the mail, papers never received and faxed 20 times before they get it, didn't receive my extension agreement for 2 months after I placed call. Waited 2 weeks for a supervisor to call back and they are just horrible company to finance through. Told me just they recommend me pay it by a certain day when I had a hardship and they swore they understood. They are full of CRAP.

PLEASE READ!!! RUN!! DO NOT ACCEPT A LOAN FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I have never received customer service this horrific in my life. FIRST all the people who work for this cheap, pathetic company live in the Philippines, so they have all your personal information including social security number sitting in the Philippines where credit fraud is at a all time high. Nobody speaks English fluently. It took me four hours to change an address on my account due to nobody understanding how to spell my street name. If you ask to speak to someone who is fluent in English they will just hang up the phone. Because they are not in the United States they could care a less about assisting anyone that lives here. To resolve a customer service issue they laugh and hang up the phone. You call back to back and cannot get to a customer service agent/manager no matter what you do.

I ended up calling the bank directly and spoke to a woman in the United States who said she understands my frustration, she gets this call all day long, but could not help because she is not in that department. This is the most horrific experience I have ever had with a company. I do not have the time of day to worry about reviews, but honestly this is almost like being in the twilight zone when you are talking these people. Is hard to believe they are not monitored and can just hang up on you ten times in a row just because they cannot understand English properly. The owner of the bank should be ashamed of themselves. Using cheap labor and not caring about the service they are providing. Do not consider this bank. Avoid at all costs. When given this offer at the dealership decline it. There are other BANKS THAT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. THIS PLACE IS A DISGRACE.

Ally Bank Company Profile