Formerly GMAC

3.6/5 (617 ratings)

About Ally Bank

Ally Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I have been a customer for more than 6 years, but will be moving all my assets to another bank. Their customer service regularly takes 40 minutes to an hour to pick up the phone. At least once a month I am locked out of my account and then forced to call, which eats no less than an hour out of my day. Stay away at all costs. There are too many other banks to choose from who actually at least pretend to care about their customers.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I recently moved to Japan for a year. I spoke with a representative and informed them that I would be on an extended stay in Japan. They assured me everything was in the system. I also told her that my phone number would be ported to google voice while I am gone. She told me I could have most security issues handled through my email and I also gave her my Japanese number just in case. My card was blocked and would not work. I messaged for help on the app and they sent me to the fraud department. I called them, which costs money since I am overseas, and they took 30 minutes to answer. Then the fraud department told me there was no fraud case on my account and there was a mistake.

They then sent me to another department that took 40 minutes to go through. More long-distance charges. Then when I finally got on with someone they said they couldn't verify my identity as the texts wouldn't work with an international number or google voice. She then asked me a bunch of questions but that still didn't work even though I answered them all correctly. They have now totally locked my account and I can't even get into it to transfer the money out. Before I called them I could at least log in and now I can't do that. They have a disgustingly long wait time to call in.

I just attempted to call back and this time I was disconnected. Each time I am charged! I am now stuck in a foreign country where I can not get access to my money and they won't pick up the phone. Also, I find it very coincidental how every time they say there will be a survey after the call they hang up and I never got a survey. I also tried to review on their own website but it wouldn't let me because it locked me out of the account. I am stuck without access to my money in a foreign country! This is not ok!!!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Ally Bank is terrible. They do not know what they are doing. Missed deadlines on distributions on IRA's twice and they are horrible. Do not bank with them ever. Worst bank ever!!! They hung up on me because they knew they they were wrong!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

This company says they are an Internet Bank BUT they won't do much electronically. Five years after paying off my loan the lien is still on my car at the BMV, naming Ally as the lien holder. FIVE YEARS! BUT when I called Ally to get a lean release letter they won't email it! They will FAX it but not to me to the BMV! Who even uses faxes these days? Even the BMV's faxes are delivered electronically to their computer! SO why not just email it! I messed with Ally trying to get them to fax it for 10 days with no luck so I just called to have them mail it. I was told 7 to 10 business days! WHY! Are we in the 21st Century? Are they?

I'm telling you, this has been one of the most frustrating things I have gone through. And if I can't get what I was originally quoted for my car because I couldn't get the lien released, I am going to be even more unhappy than I am right now! If you're going to call yourself an Internet Bank ACT like an Internet Bank. Go paperless! Electronic! SO glad I didn't go through them with my new car!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Ally Bank does not stand by their fraud guarantee. I was recently the victim of fraud where someone used my debit card and pin to pay for items in France. I have never been to France and never use my debit card for purchases. I have no idea how someone could use my card and pin when I was in physical possession of my card in the United States. Nevertheless, Ally bank took the position that because the criminal used my pin, Ally was not liable for the transaction. Ally bank is a complete scam and I urge anyone to take their money out before you have the same experience. Their fraud department won't even allow me to talk to them. They will not show me any evidence, video or proof of the transaction. I am so disappointed in this bank.

Fortunately, my loss was only $96.25. But this experience was enough for me consider changing bank. Ally bank should be ashamed...If someone from Ally Banks’s fraud department would like to chat, I welcome the conversation. Respond to this review and I will more than happily send you my contact information. I am sure you know who I am since I provided the exact dollar amount of the fraudulent transaction along with the country where the fraud took place. If you do not want to be the victim of fraud, bank with anyone other than Ally Bank. I am going to make it my mission to provide negative feedback any way possible to hopefully prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I have used Ally Bank for 15 years and had no issues. I had heard some of the negative reviews but I thought that was just a fluke with other people. Just this last week I realized how wrong I was and should have moved my money out. I tried to send a wire and Ally asked me to call in multiple times "for security reasons". Not only was this annoying just to send a simple wire, but because of the inconsistency of their policies, I was locked out of my account. I called back multiple times and one agent, let's call her S, starting yelling at me, cutting me off mid sentence and just hung up on me. (The other agents were friendly and professional). Now my account is not only locked but also frozen.

End result, this bank has taken my money and refused to give me access to it, unless I give them a bunch of private information that I don't even have and I didn't even have to provide to open the account! How is that "security"? Once I get my money out, I'm closing my account. For your own sake, please avoid this company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Used them for years.. Guess they grew too big. 45 minutes to hold for a customer service representative. NO Callbacks. No answers to Emails. It's a shame used to be great. Removed all my funds.. Still no answer from them! Bye.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Updated on 09/24/2022: This is an update from an earlier post about Ally Bank shutting my checking and savings account without warning or explanation. I had reported them to BBB and they actually responded to my review. They sent me attachments of letters they sent me. Ones I never got. The only one I received was the one saying account closed, check section 35 for reason. Reason was no reason. They can close your account for any reason at any time. The letter they probably made up said there was possibly fraud and to protect myself and them. Thank you Ally for looking out for me! Oh and thanks for leaving me scrambling to open a new account and deal with direct deposits and auto debits.

As for fraud activity on my account, maybe they meant the Zelle transfer of a whole $20 to my fiancé. I know the letter attachment they sent to me about advance notice of closure was probably fabricated cause I reported them. Ally normally communicates by email. They tell you to go to your account and read mail. Never happened. All I got was letter saying my account was closed. Will update if anything else happens. I plan on reporting them to several more places.

Original: I've had account with Ally Bank for 10 years. A purchase was declined so I went online to check my account. A bold Closed notice was placed on my account and withdrawal of my funds taken. I called customer service. I was told a check for my balance and letter of explanation is being mailed to me.

I did receive check and letter of explanation.

Letter of "explanation" was to check item 35 on terms of Ally. Item 35 means Ally can cancel your accounts without notice and for any reason. They won't give you a reason. This has obviously caused a financial hardship for me. I have a direct deposit from Social Security every month. Now that my acct is closed, I have to wait to get new direct deposit set up. I have auto debits, not to mention regular bills to be paid. I opened an account at another bank. A much more successful one in fact. I would never recommend this bank to anyone. I was one of their biggest fans initially. Not anymore. Now, Ally makes you wait on hold for 30 to 40 minutes, only to get no answers. When I first opened account, all reps were so friendly and answered phone within a minute. Not anymore. Do some research before you choose this bank!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I'm a new member and each time I've had to contact customer service I've had to wait on hold 20-30 minutes!! Every time!! Doesn't matter time of day or day of the week. They froze my account, I was not able to use my card at all and had to wait on hold 30 minutes just to get on the phone with a representative who said they wouldn't be able to help me and that they would transfer me to a department that could. She transfers me and guess what? It's to the automated debit card activation line! So what do I have to do? I have to call back in and wait another 30 minutes to talk to another representative only to be told that she has to open a case with loss prevention who will try and get things sorted out within 24 to 48 hours. In the meantime my account is frozen. I have zero access to my own money. This is absolutely unacceptable! DO NOT open an account with Ally Bank!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Several years ago I moved a large part of my cash retirement savings to Ally to get better interest rates. The interest is better than my credit union and old bank, but beware. This is my third time to need to access my account to move money and a am unable to access my account. After >30 min on-hold and speaking with customer service, they were unable to get me into my account, despite giving all security info and doing "troubleshooting". I was then told it would be at least another 15 minutes to get in touch with technical support. My only option at this point was to move all my funds out to my other bank. The customer service person did this very efficiently. I will get my funds in "3-5 business days." If you want a fraction of a percent more return on your savings it might be worth it, but not for me. I Thank God this isn't an emergency.

Ally Bank Company Information