Ally Bank

Formerly GMAC

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They messed up our account in the beginning for our car loan and truck loan to the point we ended up owing 2 thousand in late fees and penalties and they wouldn't fix it. We ended up losing the car. They're forcing us to pay the difference on the car after they auction it off and threatened to sue us if we don't. We had a small accident recently with the truck and cracked the bumper and were told by the shop we want to use if we buy the parts and take it in to be fixed then we don't have to worry about coming up with the deductible. Ally Financial made so we can only go to the shop and then buy the parts and do all the repairs, they're forcing us to pay the deductible if we want the repairs done. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. They will make your life hell and rob you blind. Worst mistake ever to go with them!!!

My account was hit with a "Fee for Overdraft Item Returned" of $25. I've never come close to a zero balance, so I contacted Ally Bank for an explanation. The first person (Taylor) couldn't explain the charge, so he told me to expect a call the following day. Two days later, the call did come, and it was explained the fee was for an attempted charge that would have exceeded my balance.

The only problem is, I made no such attempted charge. In fact, there's no record of the "attempted charge". The woman said she would try to get the $25 charge waived as a courtesy, but I elected to close the account instead. I have a zero defect policy for my financial institutions. They totally lost my confidence in handling this - first for the error, and then for the nonsensical manner in which they tried to explain it.

I asked to lower my payments! After 12 successful payments, because I was told I just had to make 12 payments when I called back she told me just reschedule my payments and they won't tow my car unless it's 90 days late. I literally had to get on the phone and SNAP on them, ask for managers and everything to even "apply" for a rewrite. And I was told I will receive and phone call. We all know how this story ends! Save your time. Don't even consider making business with these non-trained customer service representatives!

I set up my car loan for auto payment on the 27th of each month, as the website said. Now, every month, I get a threatening letter from ALLY that my payment is late and they will be sending information to the credit bureau. On the website, it says the payment hasn't been made on one page, whereas the payment history shows it was done on another. DON'T TRUST THESE CLOWNS WITH AUTO-PAY.

Ally has put false information on my credit report. They report late on different months for each credit report. Also they reported "Early Termination". If my car was due to be turned in BY 10/19, ALL payments made on contract, I turn the vehicle in a 10/13. How is that early termination? They refused to refinance and wanted car back. You got it! Also, I OVER PAID since these people lose/discard paperwork I had signed and notarized for "Business Use" taxes in Texas. I leased the car in my name. Used it for my personal transportation. They refused to correct or help me with it. I sent it certified mail! I sent them copies of the receipts. Once your lease is over, they erase everything! Time for suit. Anyone else wanting to start a Class Action Suit let me know!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

So I just bought a car and I made my first payment on time with my account and routing number... according to Ally my payment was reversed by my bank (which is ** because I have other loans that come out from the same account) so I went to this bank to make sure my account info hadn't changed... AND of course my info was still the same... I feel like they are doing this on purpose just so they can get more money out of me. When I first made the payment the finance charge 363. Now after I made a 2nd payment the charge is 395 with only 60 dollars going to the principal. WTF. Stay away from this bank man.

Harry Green sold my son a car that was wrecked as a Certified Used Car. They charged 5000.00 more than it was worth just because it was FAKE certified. Ally just bends you over and breaks it off. I got totally screwed by Both companies. 2 yrs later you can tell I made 2 payment. 2011 Malibu is still 14000. It was 14999. When we bought it and my son put 1600.00 on it 2 years to get it down to 14000. My payments are 360.00. Looks like interest rates are eating everything. They all need to go to hell. I hate them all. Bunch of thieving greedy bastard.

I paid my payment as always through my bank account. I seen where the payment was taken from my account but Ally never applied it. I have spoken to rep after rep. Finally after a month I was told they didn't know who to apply it to and it was going to be sent back to my bank. I waited and it a few weeks and no money. I called to speak to the rep that gave me that info and was told she no longer had my case. Someone else did because they change every month. So once again I had to explain everything again. This rep wanted a copy of my bank statement showing it cleared my account.

I sent it to her and when I called her the next day she no longer had my account, someone else did. I have not spoken to that person because no one knows who I am supposed to talk to. No manager will call me back. I get 10 calls a day. Wanting to know when I am going to make another payment. I told them I want my money first and then they hang up on me. I can't get anyone to talk to and my late fees have become a crazy amount. Why should I have to pay all the late fees when they hired an idiot that didn't know how to apply a payment and it's their fault.

They are the worst company to work with. My car was totaled. It has been a month and they still haven't sent my ins. company what they need. BUT they still want me to pay my loan. If they would just give them what they need. I have called them. Either I get put on hold and forgotten or they transfer me and get hung up on. They tell me they are waiting for paperwork from my ins. co. when I have proof everything was sent. They are just trying to collect more interest. Rip off. I will be telling everyone that will listen to me not to use them. I have three kids to get car loans for. They just lost my business. I just I would have looked at all the reviews before I went with them. BUYER BEWARE.

On March 27th we paid the entire payoff amount on my wife's Jeep Cherokee, according to what our account said at login. To the penny. It is now late May and we've never received the title (nor any email or mail notifications we owed them anything additional). I logged in and saw that it said we still owe $33.89. I did the chat thing with 1st, Nick, then 2nd Ray. Both told me we hadn't paid off the amount in full, but according to the system we had. Apparently Ally keeps tacking on additional charges arbitrarily even though the account has been paid in full. Wasted 45 minutes in chat with them, no resolution was offered. They just kept saying we owed more.

So, I paid the $33.89 and told them I expect to see the title within 10 days. "Ray" suggested AFTER I paid it that I use "certified funds"... but the account was tied directly to my bank's checking account. We used Ally for our last 2 new vehicles but never again will I do business with them. Nor will our family. I told the reps this during chat - they didn't care, nor would they refer me to their supervisor when I specifically requested it. Seems really bad business to lose customers over $34. But they did. Bye Ally.

After leasing a truck through Chevrolet, Chevy used Ally Lease for transaction. 6 months before the lease was up, Chevy offered to payoff the balance of lease and lease another truck. A few months earlier we had a loan on hold for a new inflatable boat. The credit union had to re-run my credit score since the 60 days were up on the current loan offer. Upon running a credit check on me again the score dropped over 100 pts and Alley lease added into my credit report the truck was a repo. This action caused my previous interest rate to double since Ally ruined my credit score with inaccurate information. I have requested a letter of explanation and a monetary value sent to me for the difference in the interest finance charges over the duration of the loan. I did receive a letter stating the removal of the repossession but no letter of apology or a check for the difference of the interest.

I did talk to a Mr Ronald ** with Ally, he assured me of both, when my husband called to ask where the letter and the check was Mr. ** said "That's all the letter you are getting and the "check" must be hung up in accounting." The dollar amount difference is $381.94 but since having to endure sleepless nights and stress over Ally I am now seeking $1,000.00 in reimbursement of interest difference along with damages in my credit score and stress over this incident.

Recently I returned my leased vehicle in very good condition and with near 6k miles under the agreement. I was sent a notice for wear and tear that did not exist. A windshield was listed as replaced for over $200.00 when I know at auction if it was replaced the cost would be less than $75.00. The glass was finally dropped from the request yet an interior part that was not damaged on my part and most probably a normal design flaw was listed as replaced. This left $104.00 ALLY stated I owed them. This was offensive to me and to make it worse I was contacted by harassing collection agents. One was extremely disturbing.

I have stated from the first request that I would not be making payment and continue to receive harassing calls, my credit report is being documented with an unreasonable charge and I recommend to anyone to take full vehicle photos before you turn a vehicle in as this company takes advantage of you and handles their business in a harassing manner. I had been a six year customer of ALLY never missing a payment. Shameful based upon my experience.

I filed bankruptcy in 2009, yet Ally reports activity on this account as of 2010, a year after it was discharged. They say the activity on my account was that they sold my car at that point, so they call it activity on my account. When I've called on two different occasions about the information they are reporting the initial people who take the calls barely speak English, and don't understand how to answer my questions. When I've asked to speak to a supervisor they were both rude and short with me. The supervisor I spoke to today starting speaking over me, raising her voice, cutting me off, refused to explain why they were reporting after my discharge. I have never dealt with such a terrible company, with terrible customer service, I'm just thankful that was my first and only auto loan with this company!

I opened a 24 month CD account and after reading the T&Cs, which stated that funds could be transferred. I was interested in a CD account that we could deposit to during the CD period. (Rare finds, but there are some out there). After reading all legal docs, we opened the account and had two different deposits on two different days. When we set up an automated ACH transfer, it was refused by Ally.

Their customer service dept referred me to their FAQs as reference, which I missed at the bottom of the page. I disagree that FAQs are as legally binding as T&Cs. Since continuous funding was not specifically stated in their T&Cs, I feel strongly that Ally should return the original deposits, less interest, with no penalties. They are refusing to do so and I do not want to pay the early termination fees. I have never been more disappointed in a bank.

Ally Financial has refused to remit over $200,000.00 for one week, citing an array of reasons. It is evident that they will make getting your funds from them as hard as possible. I will contact FINRA to request their assistance. Since they have a one star rating, I suspect that their customer abuse may be standard policy. If you have had similar problems, please e-mail me **. If you are an attorney interested in forming a class action, please contact me.

Crooked Finance Company -- Don't trust them. My partner financed a vehicle from this company. Because of hours being cut at his job he got behind on payments. They would call and harass him constantly to where it was almost considered harassment. He would call to make arrangements but they wouldn't stop calling even though an arrangement was set up. When he would pay the arrangement then they would tell him it was for a different amount or that wasn't the agreed amount. They kept saying he owed more and more than he really owed.

Eventually when he couldn't pay b/c they kept raising the payments that weren't owed they repossessed the car. He never received notification that the car was repossessed, he just woke up to find it gone. Once we found out the car had been repossessed he found out he owed all these extra fees and they would keep changing. One day it would be one amount the next a much higher and etc. Within about a week of it be repossessed we made arrangements to get the car. We were told it still had a week before it went to auction.

We called the next day to get the car and they said the car had been sent to auction already so the fees now went up even more... Note we were just told less than 24 hours earlier the car still had a week before it went to auction and that they would hold the car since we were reclaiming it. Now the original repo fees included towing to auction, price to make another key, and etc. After coming up with $2500.00 to cover 1.5 months of late payments and well over $1000.00 in fees we got the car back. At this point things were missing from the car and of course no one owned up to it so that was more lost money.

At this point we thought everything was good until all the sudden more fees showed up which Ally couldn't explain but we were obligated to pay which meant we were automatically owing close to $1000.00 the first month when the payment was only supposed to be $450. They would not budge. That money was paid against our best wishes. We thought everything was OK. Payments were always made early at this point.

Then came tag renewal... What a nightmare. Went to get the tag renewed and the tag agency says we can't renew the tag b/c the car was not in our name. Unknown to us, Ally changed the title into their name and never back to ours. Well now we can't get a tag b/c it is not in our name. Called Ally and couldn't get anyone that spoke english. They didn't understand what was being said and kept making excuses. When asked to speak to someone that speaks better english we were transferred to another that didn't speak english. In the end we were told they will not transfer title back into our name.

At this point we called the State Insurance Commission who referred us to the Oklahoma Tax Commission office. They looked up the vehicle and said the tag agencies were correct and the title was never reassigned. According to the Tax Commission Ally was supposed to reassign the title within 30 days of the repossession which they never did. Now the only resolution to get the tag renewed is Ally needs to fill out a form to reassign the title and then we will have to pay excise tax and everything on the vehicle like we are purchasing it for the first time. So on top of the over $2500 we paid to get the vehicle back now they are saying we will need to pay about $700 more to tag the vehicle.

Called Ally again regarding this and they flat out refuse to reassign the title so we can get the tag either. We are completely and utterly stuck at this point. Ally refuses to help in any fashion to resolve this issue and they won't tag the vehicle. Not their responsibility they say but they won't correct the paperwork so we can either. Now we have a vehicle that isn't in our name and according to the insurance we can't even insure b/c the title needs to be in our name. Can't get anywhere at all with this company and they are not willing to budge. Spoke to an attorney who basically said just let them have the vehicle back. Ally totally and completely swindled us out of thousands of dollars and now our last option is to let them repossess the vehicle.

Don't deal with this company. They will rip you off for thousands of dollars then come get the car anyway. I'm sure once they possess the vehicle again they will come after us for more money but there isn't anything we can do. If we drive a vehicle with an expired tag then we get pulled over and have to deal with tickets and etc. not to mention we won't be able to insure it. Wish there was an out but unfortunately the attorney said we would never win in a situation like this most likely. DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE CROOKS PERIOD!!!!

I bought a car from them three years ago and now they're saying I was three months behind which wasn't true. I went to the store today. Came out with my four month old and my car was gone. They repoed it and left me without a car and took my son's car seat with them! Don't go with them!

They took over TradeKing. In order to get your money, you must sign a new agreement with them, and answer many questions. Then if you complain they send you an email saying that your money is being held for 10 days at their clearing house. All of this is illegal. Someone should sue these people or start a class action suit against them.

Ally auto is a real joke. They continue to harass everyone I know. We have a vehicle loan through them. Example we pay our payment on time each and every month and I have every confirmation number, every bank statement, everything. They want to charge you late fees when it's their fault then draft it out of our account then put it back into our account then two days later re draft it. Don't know how but they have found family members numbers to call and harass them 24/7. I'm sick of this company.

2014 I leased a Buick LaCrosse for 39 months. GM had a program that if a leased vehicle was turned in for a new one before 5/30/17, GM would pay off the balance of the lease. This I did on 5/9/17. Letters from Ally dated 5/11 began pouring in 3 a day. One demanded I pay $339.88 due for property tax. I visited tax collectors office on 5/19 and was told there is no tax due. I wish I could rate Ally as a minus star!!!

I cosigned for my daughter with this company. What a mistake that was!! Not only were they rude and incompetent they tried overcharging my debit card over 500.00. Naturally my bank froze the account because 2 charges were put in! When I contacted Ally about this they had the nerve to say to me they didn't understand the problem!!! Overcharging your account over 500.00. What a bunch of unprofessional people!! I'll be also making a complaint to the BBB! They need to be held accountable!!!!

After being notified (as I live in Los Angeles, and I work for the County) that a virus/Wanna Hacking was affecting locations around the world - was notified on Sunday May 14 by work - I chose to contact and ask for certainty that Ally.com was safe. I called three times. First time calling TradeKing on Sunday (older phone number) resulted in the person working as customer service hanging up the phone when I asked about Wanna/virus affecting Ally.com. He didn't bother to listen, nor respond to my question. He simply just hanged up. Ok, I called again.

I called the second time - it took about 8 minutes to wait. When the person responded, I mentioned what had occurred on my first call and my desire to speak with a supervisor: to talk about Wanna affecting locations, and about my person experience with customer services in which I was hanged-up on. I requested (in my second call) that he (customer services - second call) please write down, in my case file (within Ally Investments), a quick note of what had occurred on my first call. The guy I spoke with said ok, he would write down my complaint and my concern. He mentioned that he would pass me to a supervisor - just hold. Ok, he placed me on hold. Within 4 minutes, my phone was disconnected.

Again, my third call: I had to wait on phone for 34:04 minutes/sec. Someone did answer the phone - I explained why I was calling - I was upset. I mentioned that I wanted assurance that Wanna (as it was stated and shown in Media) won't affecting Ally.com (a new service). I explained how rude it was that I called twice before, and now a third time to speak with someone.

Instead, I was told that there were no longer any supervisors, they had gone home for the day - to call tomorrow (Monday). I said fine. They said that a supervisor would call me at 9 AM (western time). Just note: I had been waiting for 34:04 seconds on phone before someone answered, and then I was placed on hold for another near to 10 minutes to be told that all supervisors had gone home. I requested that a supervisor call me on Monday then. No one within Ally.com bothered to call me. Or even consider leaving me a message.

I called Ally.com today (Monday) to explain what occurred yesterday, Sunday. When someone did answer my call, Monday, I attempted to explain how rude it was that no one from Ally.com bothered to followed up with my requested call back. Instead, a supervisor said: "What do you want, forget about yesterday, what do you want now". That is rude. As a customer, I want to explain that what occurred on Sunday was bad, and I want to make a complaint - Shane, his name, didn't feel like listening to my complaint. I attempted to explain my concern about Wanna/virus and about customer services from yesterday. He didn't feel like listening to any of my complaints. I try to explain how upsetting customer service was, and he apparently, by his voice, attempted to ignore that.

As I attempted to explain to Shawn (supervisor) how I felt, and what should be clarified, he appeared bored. I told him clearly: CHECK MY NOTE from yesterday, the one I requested to be written by customer services, and in which I requested to have a NOTE written there - what occurred on Sunday. Shane SAYS THAT THERE WERE NO NOTES written FROM YESTERDAY. I ASKED, "LISTEN TO MY CONVERSATION from YESTERDAY" (recordings), HE SAID, "I'll do that later." Look, he was rude. He attempted to ignore or avoid my complaints and concerns.

Because we just received a notice from LA County that there was a virus in the web, and to be careful, all I wanted was to ask my new account with TradeKing (Ally.com) whether it was safe within Ally.com. Instead, they reacted Rude, they INTENTIONALLY LIED TO ME. On my third call, the person I spoke with assured me that he had written my requested note for Monday. He did not. The supervisor Shawn says, "If you continue to attempt to complain, I will close your account with Ally.com."

This is my first complaint to Ally.com, and yet Shawn attempts to threaten me, and follows by (without me knowing) closes my account after I hang up. It is terrible that in Ally.com there is no office or department to which I can complain to, and no one to be passed to, and nothing to do about customer services. What about those I called on Sunday, what about their terrible services? Does anyone care about customers at all? No, no one appears to do so.

I won't bother myself with Ally.com (TradeKing) investment again. They are just terrible employees. (Yes, I did speak with other employees and they were fine, only this specific day, Sunday and Today (Monday) did I witness a terrible and cheap action within Ally.com.) I won't bother with them again. To those who might consider joining in - be careful. Be very cautious with Ally.com.

Ally Bank, formally GMAC Financial, is the worst bank ever. They will stop at nothing to screw you over! I had a 2010 Charger and was late on ONE payment. With no past due notice. Unbeknown to me they sent that info to the credit bureaus to ruin my credit and have been for 7 years! I just found out about it and I have since financed two other brand new vehicles with them. So they don't mind ** up your credit while they have their hands in your pocket. Don't finance anything through them... EVER!

Withdrew 3 payments without authorization. Recently I scheduled my car payment to be withdrawn from 2 separate checking account, $300 from one account and $75.50 from the other. However, when the payment were withdrawn they took the $300 from the one checking, but withdrew about $768 from the other. When we called to see what had happened all they could say was "the amount was authorized" even though I had the email showing it was not. They told us the only way to get the money back was to contact our bank and let them know that the amount was not authorized - but that this process could take 2-3 months and in the meantime we would be expected to continue making our car payment each month. This has set us back on our bills and other payments.

It has literally turned our financial world inside down and there is nothing that can be done. Yes, we don't have to make a payment for 2 months because they charges us for a total of 3 payments, but that doesn't help us NOW. I've heard from an acquaintance that this happened to them twice and have read other reviews from people saying this happened to them too. How can a company do this to people. If I could, I would move my car loan to a new company right away and I warn others to really watch what this company is charging you.

1st, they repoed my car after the payment was only late 1 WEEK! 2nd, they say I'm 3 months late, 3rd the repo service damaged the car. 4th - before repoing the car, THEY DIDN'T EVEN CALL TO TRY TO COLLECT THE PAYMENT, which I had. Don't go to these idiots.

My daughter has a car loan thru Ally about 2.5 weeks ago. My wife was in a car accident with this car. The car it got deemed a total loss. 1.5 weeks ago our insurance which is going to payoff loan has found Ally saying no faxes sent for payoff not true. All they want is $3.65 interest a day slowing the process. They are a joke. This bank nickels and dimes you to death. Shop around for other banks. Ally Bank a ripoff.

I cosigned for my grand daughter's car. Payments were on time for about 2 yrs. Then Wells Fargo Bank began having payments pending. First time Ally took partial payment. (Reason unknown.) I received a statement dated day after due date, for late payment of balance of payment and late charge. I sent total amount on statement. I then received a statement of past due late charge. When I called their customer service I was told late charge I had paid was credited to future payment, because I had not put on payment to credit late charge. They did finally credit to late charge.

The next month Apr/2017 Wells Fargo again showed payment pending on due date. My granddaughter called Ally and was told they were having computer problems and could not accept payment from her bank at that time but late charge would be waived. Statement I received dated Apr 13 for total payment plus late charge. I paid total amount owed. I then received a statement I owed late charge. I spent about an hour on phone with SO CALLED Customer reps, and supervisor getting same (Added to future payment). Would not transfer me to anyone else because all higher ups had stopped taking call for the day. I will be calling back daily until someone can tell me why they do not apply payment as their statement says is owed. Will never do business with Ally again and walk out if anyone offers me financing through them.

I have called several times and have to asked for a supervisor in regards to my account, that's after asking to speak to someone in the States. I feel they are RUDE, DISRESPECTFUL, HEARTLESS, and forget that customers are the reason that they have a job. I have never missed a payment nor have I ever been late, so to be treated like this is uncalled for. I will never get a loan from Ally again.

I financed a vehicle through this company. I made payments for over a year and then ended up having surgery. I tried explaining to them the hardships and got nowhere. They demanded payment and would call me multiple times a day. I looked on my account on the website and noticed all the payments I made did not even hardly reflect the price going down. I feel like their practices are outrageous. After a year it should have went down more than what it did. I then noticed everything went to interest in which you get charged for everytime anyways. So I feel that after my term would have ended I still would have a big payoff. And customer service reps are so rude and yell at me all the time. So I finally told them to come get the car as I will never do business with them ever. And it's wrong and unfair that you make payments and it does not even really affect what you owe.

My auto was totaled; Ally bank instructed me they would open claim but sent in the wrong installment agreement to GAP. When I found out and called them, which takes more than 30 mins, and representatives that don't understand English and deny sending you to USA for help, I attempted to get time to correct, twice week and week they kept sending wrong agreement. I finally got help from the dealership and sent; GAP sending additional payment, but now I can't get anyone at Ally to admit their wrongdoing and stalling the payment. I will have over $250 still outstanding, it's their error, but they don't care. It's wrong that no one holds them accountable for their lack of customer service or caring.

Ally Bank Company Profile