3.55/5

Formerly GMAC

1000 Ally Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 22, 2019

When I went to the dealership for the loans they found for me, my first 2 options were in the 20%s. I told them no and proceeded to get up out of the chair very surprised. Then he stated they found one at 8%, why he didn't say it in the beginning is beyond me. I went with Ally and have been pleased with everything.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Ally handled my first ever car loan. They were easy to work with, and the online payment center was a breeze to make monthly payments with. I definitely recommend them for those new to having loans or buying a car. To boot, their interest rate was 1.1% lower than the one for my Wells Fargo loan on my new car (which I will be refinancing).

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2019

When it comes to personality, courtesy, professionalism, reliability, patience, and dedication to customer service, Ally excels. No long waits on customer calls, if you need a loan extension, payment problems, they're a phone call or website away. These are people like you and I, not actors or automated voices. I would recommend them anyone.

Original review: May 12, 2019

The initial process was 100% until it went to the loan section. The person working on this screwed everything up. Didn't know how to handle trust documents/ never had before. Cost me $45 in FedEx overnight - wouldn't refund. Was told I would get copy of Deed of Trust after it recorded DIDN'T! Had to call the title co. and have them send me copy. 1 month after it all was paid and closed. Should have been done as soon as I paid the final closing cost. Then tried to cover his **, afterwards by telling false statements about what really happened. Because of his negligence and improper training left bad feelings.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Terrific company to work with for both savings and stock trading. Great APY, fantastic app, reliable customer service. Their APY started competitive and just keeps getting better. Their cost per trade and sign up promotions were great, but their app is what clinches the deal. Forward looking company - recommended.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: July 21, 2019

Easy to work with. Willing to work within your budget. Has auto pay option. Very happy with their service. Would finance another vehicle with them. Good customer service skills. Payment amount is within our budget.

Original review: July 16, 2019

They helped when I was buying my last car, nothing spectacular. Most of the interaction has been through the website, no personal contact as of yet. It was more transactional than a relationship. I may use them again, but might not.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Quick response to phone calls and questions, excellent interest rate on car loan. Got me a 23% reduced to a 12% loan. Easy to work with, fast response on phone and on emails so that you know where you stand on the loan very quickly.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Rates too high and they aren’t a supportive lender, bought a vehicle without a extended warranty offered by dealership so decided that wasn’t correctly so decided to trade into a vehicle that I could purchase one, they declined my loan.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Liars, cheaters, scam artists. They tell you one thing and do another. Also, I was told I could refi within 6 months to help lower monthly, they flat out said not gonna happen without ever starting any process and I had not missed any payments.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I wish I could give the company negative stars! I bought a car last year through a dealership. They chose the financing to be done through Ally Bank. What an awful experience this has been. Anytime I call, I was always put on hold for a long time. Whenever I made my timely payments online, I paid extra so that the money would go towards the principal, but that never happened. The payments were always delayed so I would then have to pay more interest. Buyer beware, choose another company to do business with.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Not much to say really. They were no hassle. Competitive rate (lowest). Never had an issue and never had the need to contact customer service with a problem. Currently on my 2nd loan through Ally. Will definitely use again.

Original review: July 10, 2019

This company frequently shuts down its own website and forces people to make payments over the phone and charging a hefty sevice fee. This has been happening for weeks with no explanation. Customer service does a terrible job of explaining matters. It’s insane how a bank. A BANK, cannot afford to fix its own problems. Please disregard the fake positive reviews. Avoid this bank at all costs.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I have been a customer of Ally Bank for 2 years. All of my experiences with them have been poor. My struggles began just after 6 mos of paying on time for my 2017 Jeep Cherokee. I signed up for their app and after the first payment, this company reported me to the credit bureaus as late. I used their app for the second month and they reported me as late again. I had to dispute the late payment with them; they said they were going to remove it from my credit report but still 1 year later the 2 late payments are still there. They have on multiple times tried to charge me “misc” fees, late fees and such. After asking for detailed information about my account and all payments received they agreed to remove the late fees.

Recently I tried to make my auto loan payment on their website and it was down for at least 2 days. I called the customer service line and they were unable to help because they can’t take payment over the phone. This is suspicious because I’ve paid by phone several times. The agent instructed me to go to a third party site to pay my bill at a $10 fee to me, even though their site is down. The agents will give you the runaround, tell 1/2 truths or lead you to believe outright lies. Their rates are not that great and not too competitive either. This bank is for people with compromised credit and other credit issues. It’s best to choose a different lender. Please stay away from this bank!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I have had my loan through Ally for over 2 years-not once had any sort of an issue. I am extremely pleased. My payment is taken out of my account automatically each month, never early. I receive an email each month thanking me for my payment.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I made a double payment in June 2019. I called the Monday after I realized that I made the double payment. It was confirmed that the double payment was made, therefore, I should be sent a check in the mail within 7-10 business days. I called ALLY on 7/9 and was told over and over again that the 2nd payment did not get processed through MY bank and the transaction was reversed so the money should be in my account. The representative kept repeating herself as if it was rehearsed. FINALLY, she put me on hold and double checked to confirm if what I was saying was true. She comes back on the line and told me that the payment DID go through and they are issuing a checked within 7-10 business days, AGAIN!!

Now I have to wait another 7-10 days. I feel like I have been patient enough. As quick as institutions are to take out the money, why is it so hard for them to put it back? I don’t get it. At this rate, I am not sure if I will ever see that money. I cannot believe the treatment that consumers get when it comes time to be paid back/reimbursed. How is this fair??

Original review: July 9, 2019

Super easy to complete the application. Everything was paperless until we got to signatures. Competitive rates and great customer service. I had never considered Ally as a competitive force in the auto loan industry until this recent experience.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Anytime I try to make a payment online I have to call them to get my password reset and it’s been like that from day one. I find it terrible. I also have a hard time understanding what they’re saying because their foreign accent is hard to understand.

Original review: July 7, 2019

It was a seamless purchase until I got to the question; what if I refinance in a year, will I be able to keep the extended warranty? No was the answer. I love the web interface and ease of payment with Ally. I have had no other issues.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I signed up for personal banking and got assessed an overdraft fee, simply because I cancelled an external transfer. Good thing is I didn't have any money deposited in the accounts, yet, so the fee took away from nothing. Since I'm definitely not paying that garbage, I just opened a new account elsewhere and dumped this place. They also completely lied about when I'd receive my debit card. It was sent out on the 11th, and I was told I'd receive it by the 20th. I received on the 24th. They have no idea what they're doing.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I've been waiting for a refund check from this company for 3 months. They claim they have mailed it. As of June 12th, I haven't received anything. Keep in mind they first mailed the check to me on March 6th. In addition to not receiving my check. I have called customer service to find out the status of the refund. The customer service department is the worst. All they do is lie. Every time I call them I spend an hour on the phone trying to track down the money they owe me. I've requested the refund to be sent out FedEx overnight, I've been told the refund will be sent overnight and what ends up happening they send the check regular mail and mysteriously the check disappears. If you have any choice on who you do business with, I would avoid this bank at all cost.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I was a few days late on payment and they claimed to have called me multiple times. I’ve never gotten a call from them that I can identify as them calling, and the only contact that I can confirm was from them is ONE voicemail I got from an unknown number stating it was Ally. The day after they left the one voicemail, they called several of my family members/non-family members stating they were calling looking for me. I called back Tori, who was the one leaving everyone voicemails and she was incredibly rude.

She would not answer any of my questions that I asked on how they were able to get those people’s information and she would only answer with “we have tools and system that we can see who you referenced as contacts” and would not answer any of my other questions with anything other than “we have nothing further to discuss if you’re not going to listen to me” when I attempted to ask for specifics and not the generic answer I kept getting over and over again. They called people I have never had any legal relation to and had numbers I myself didn’t even have for the people they called, and to call their customer service line and have that terrible experience made me regret financing with them. Their practices are borderline illegal and I will be refinancing my loan elsewhere as soon as I am able. Do not recommend them to ANYONE.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I received a auto loan from Ally in Feb of this year. Since May I have requested 3 times for a complete statement that shows all my payments and interest charges. Each time they send me something that does not add up. I tell them this and they say they are going to send me the correct one and I just keep receiving an incomplete information statement. This has happened 3 times already. I have an extra $1,000 that is not accounted for in interest or payments and they are not sending it to me. They just keep saying, “Sorry we will send it to you this time,” and then they can’t send it right away. They say it will take 3-5 business days each time (probably hoping I will forget about it) then after a week they send me the wrong thing again. Watch out for this company. I have the chat history from each time I talk to them and it is ridiculous. I don't even know who to report them to.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Please beware when leasing through Ally! They will seriously pull one over on you. I recently tried to get out of my lease a year early and the payoff amount they gave me when I called was a completely different amount when I went to sell the car to a dealership. They raised the payoff by $1200 that I had to eat. I have never had this happen with any other lender in my life. It was almost like a bait and switch and I will never lease another car through them again. You are better off getting a different bank to finance your car than trusting Ally. My guess is if their lease department is this shady the bank itself can’t be any better.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Due to a bank error, my payments were denied (funds were available, this is another story). Ally claimed I could no longer use this account to make payments, which is my ONLY checking account. I was told I could use a third party phone service to pay so the payment is not late. There was a charge for this. I was told my account would be reset and I could start making online payments again. Another month went by, my account does not accept my payment, now my credit report has a negative mark, despite the fact that I have the funds in my account and Ally will not accept it.

I was told again to pay from a third party phone service and charged for this again as well. After hours on hold with various departments, I was told my online account would be reset and I would receive a phone call within 72 hours with new information. This was 2 weeks ago and I have received no call. I have 0 interest in supporting this company in the future and would advise against signing up if possible.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Buying a car can be irritating experience by itself. No need for third party to make it even more stressful. Ally Bank does not think so. It is my bank, online only but they will make money order as a normal bank would and mail it as a free service. I decided to make use of that service I even took expedited overnight service. So it arrived two days late. My mistake for not checking it before mailing it to a dealer in Texas, I was in a hurry. To make story shorter below is a picture of the check with innovative way of writing innovative. Needless to say they could not cash it. So I am calling my bank and they are very sorry and apologetic. They waiving expedited costs and at no charge sending overnight delivery with a replacement check. It arrives two days later and all appears to be good but...

Two weeks later I noticed that my account balance is too low to pay off my monthly bills. One glance and is clear that they made another mistake, instead of using a check tracking number that allows canceling off old one they made new one from my remaining money and old one is in a check limbo. They cannot fix it because department responsible is already closed but they are still apologetic. Next day my time on call waiting hits 5 hours. They not apologetic anymore. They are demanding. I should fix their mistakes, ask my dealer in Texas to mail me check back then I have to send it to them. So I answer that the only reason they would hold this check for three weeks would be if they realize comic value of it, frame it and laugh at it at the times when knowledge that there is someone more stupid out there is needed. If it's lost you must make them create notarial forms of losing this check and send it back to them..

So I answered that check was never lost, it was misspelled and abandoned by Ally Bank somewhere in a check limbo. And that they are making me extort false documents about “lost check” from a dealer so they can satisfy some kind of bureaucratic needs at my and car dealer cost. So I ask for higher management. They will call you within two days. Three days since that was said. There is no check limbo of course. They have that money and make profit of it while I pay minimum payments on my credit cards. Maybe they think that I did not spend enough time on waiting line? Well I decided to spend my time more creative. Case **, **. No pictures here. Oh well according to Ally you spell innovative like that “INNOWVEATIE”

Original review: May 21, 2019

I made over payments to pay my car off early. After two years I noticed my balance was not going down. I call, they said my car would be paid off months early. I asked them to apply the extra money to the principal. They said they would fix it. Now almost 5 years later on my last payments they say a payment of $500 and one more payment of $900.00. Guess what? Not early at all. Sending my info to my account for him to figure out. Never again. I'm out hundreds of dollars thinking I was paying off early.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Having seen an ad for Ally bank and being quite interested in taking most of my business away from brick and mortar, I signed up for an Ally bank account. A week down the road I sought more information on how to make my first deposit since I had not yet received my "welcome packet" which I did not receive within the time I was told I would.

I called the "customer service" number and the recorded message said my wait would be about ten minutes. Always wise to have something to do on the computer so no problem. Ten minutes later the recorded message STILL said my wait would be about ten minutes. (I am convinced they have a VIP program that large business customers can use to bypass the queue).

Until you are a customer there is no way to chat or communicate in any electronic method other than the 800 number so I wrote a snail mail letter to their headquarters asking that they call me and I even promised I would not make them wait 20 minutes. No answer and in the meantime I received notices that if I did not make a deposit by a certain date they would close my account. I did not and they did. So, the customer service line is worthless and the headquarters will not reply to complaints. It is useful to have discovered the horrid customer service before I became established. In the meantime I am looking at other on-line banking opportunities.

Original review: May 15, 2019

In January 2019 I opened an online checking account with Ally Financial. For my initial deposit I mailed to them my IRS tax refund for $7889.55 which was in the form of a Department of Treasury check -- from the Internal Revenue Service. I received my new account number and debit card soon after. When I attempted to use my new -- activated -- debit card to withdrawal $400 at an ATM machine, it was declined. I immediately went online and checked my account which said "denied access". I called the number as instructed and was told I needed to email the "Fraud Department" a copy of my driver's license, utility bill and social security card. I ensured them I am who I claim to be but went ahead and emailed them all three items they requested.

That was almost 6 months ago and I still have NOT HAD ACCESS TO ANY OF MY FUNDS! I have made 57 phone calls to every phone number I can find for Ally Bank. I have left messages with every department including "loss prevention" and their "Corporate Headquarters". Nobody will return my call -- Nobody will help me. This has been an absolute nightmare. I have filed complaints with the BBB and left negative reviews warning people to avoid Ally Financial. I never thought that in this country that a bank would engage in this type of obvious criminal behavior. I pray that this letter finds a person in power who can retrieve my money. Thank you. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Respectfully, victimized American citizen by Ally Bank.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I installed a brand new running boards that I purchased from the dealership and the dealership said that it would be OK for me to have them installed on the vehicle. I return the vehicle with the running boards on there figuring I don’t need them and I did them a favor when they did the inspection they told me that the running board was damaged and I old them for it. They also told me that the side panel is dented which it was not. I had just picked it up from my collision shop. Now they’re telling me if I don’t pay the bill it’s going to go on my credit. They also charge me for a tear in the seat which I do know was there and I am willing to pay that. Never leased a vehicle through Ally. They're a rip off con artist.

Ally Bank Company Information