4.9/5 (54 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Jon Bortin

About nbkc bank

Nbkc bank is an online bank with physical locations in the Kansas City area. The bank offers home, personal, auto and bridge loans, as well as checking accounts and credit cards. Home loans include conventional, VA, FHA and new construction loans. Refinancing and home equity lines of credit are also available. The mortgage process can be completed online. Nbkc bank has been helping homeowners for over 20 years, according to its website.

Pros

• Lends in 50 states
  • Apply completely online
  • Helpful website resources

Cons

• No branches outside Kansas City
  • Limited fee information online

Bottom Line

Nbkc bank is an online bank that offers VA and FHA home loans in all 50 states. Apply online, by phone or at a branch in Kansas City. An online loan calculator lets you see estimated rates and fees.

What is nbkc bank?

Nbkc bank is an online bank with locations in the Kansas City area. Its products include home loans, home equity lines of credit, personal loans, auto loans, bridge loans, checking accounts, money market accounts and credit cards. The bank promises competitive rates and personal service.

nbkc mortgages

Nbkc bank offers several types of home loans. Customers can handle all aspects of obtaining a mortgage online, working with an nbkc representative along the way. You can also apply by phone or at a physical location in the Kansas City area. Mortgage documents are delivered electronically or via overnight shipping. Nbkc arranges for the appraisal and title work prior to closing.

Some of the home loans nbkc offers include:

• Conventional loans
  • VA loans
  • FHA loans
  • Home construction loans
  • Refinancing

nbkc mortgage rates

Nbkc bank promotes “always-competitive” rates. To get rate estimates on your home loan, use the “View rates” button on its homepage to navigate to its rate calculator. Then enter the estimated home value, your down payment amount, the state where the home is located and your credit score category, and indicate if you have served in the U.S. military. You’ll see interest and annual percentage rate estimates for different types of loans, including VA loans if you qualify.

Nbkc bank offers both pre-qualification and preapproval. Pre-qualification is a preliminary step that shows you how much you can afford to borrow, while preapproval requires more personal financial information and shows you how much you can borrow from nbkc bank and your rates.

nbkc bank FAQ

Where is nbkc bank located?

Nbkc bank is based in Kansas City, Missouri. Even though it only has branches in the Kansas City area, it offers an online process for home loans to people in all 50 states.

What does nbkc bank stand for?

Nbkc bank was formerly known as National Bank of Kansas City.

What kind of loans does nbkc bank offer?

Nbkc bank offers home loans, personal loans, auto loans and bridge loans.

Where are nbkc VA loans available?

VA loans from nbkc bank are available in all 50 states.

Is nbkc bank legit?

Nbkc bank is a legitimate option if you’re looking for a home loan. The loan process is easy to navigate and can be handled entirely online. Nbkc promises competitive rates, but as with any lender, you need to apply for preapproval to see your offer. Overall, it’s worth connecting with nbkc bank if you’re looking for home loan or refinancing options.

nbkc bank Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about nbkc bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about nbkc bank?

Original review: May 4, 2022

My husband and I were 1st time homebuyers so we did not know much about the process. I found NKBC through the Costco Mortgage program, researched the reviews of the 4 providers and ultimately went with NKBC rep Cheryl **. She's a very patient and knowledgeable loan processor. The loan process itself was painless for us. She let us know that we didn't need an appraisal, explained why it was waived, and gave us clear instructions as well as time to gather documents.

Everyone introduced us to their own trusted loan (realtor, attorney) but ultimately we went w NKBC because 1/ rate was the lowest 2/ pleasant experience throughout the process. We received the approval, then due to NY law allowing sellers to close within 30 days on the contract, we had to extend our rate. This process was also pretty painless and thankfully we were able to lock rate because rate almost doubled in 2022.

Get buying tips about VA Loan Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

It's always a pleasure working with Ryan ** of NBKC. We've used Ryan and NBKC for two home purchases and several refinances. He is exceptionally knowledgeable and provides great advice that really helped us to make the right decisions. Ryan went above and beyond and really enabled us to purchase a home in a highly competitive market. I don't think we could've done it without the quick service and guidance of Ryan and NBKC. When the seller's realtor, and even our own, tried to strongarm us into using a local lender we refused and insisted on Ryan and NBKC. We won't use anyone else.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I went online to compare interest rates for a non-owner-occupied rental property loan. Initially it was nbkc's low rates which caught my eye. Upon inquiry I was immediately in touch with a loan officer who stayed with us through the whole journey. And it was a long one! Pretty much everything about our loan was complicated. We were doing a 1031 exchange from one rental property into another so had proceeds from that, and the loan was the balance to get us up to the asking price of the new property. This was a new build which creates many more moving parts to pull off. Then add to this the fact both my husband and I are self employed so verifying our incomes is challenging, and we had to push the close date back about 4 times.

It has been a long time since we took out a loan and underwriters these says leave nothing to chance - we had to send in a vast amount of "proof" of our circumstances. But - although this Maggie (our loan officer) was attentive, kind, calm and reassuring. Indeed - it all came together and even with one final hiccup along the way which Maggie sorted straight away - we pulled off the loan amount we needed; the interest rate we'd locked into and bought a rental with sweet ADU over it in Hailey ID. We could not be happier! Thanks Maggie and the nbkc team.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

We've been working with Dan over the last few months; we first touched base two years ago when we first planned on buying our first home. The Covid context made us pause our projects, but we had a great customer relationship, so I called him back when we were ready again. Dan has been thorough, available, educational, and flexible on all our requests. He was able to break down numbers whenever I needed and provided guidance on rates; we managed to lock ours just before the inflation! And so happy all the process went smoothly. Great ally and down-to-earth bank. Love it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

It was a great experience with NBKC. I could not recommend them enough to other people. I worked with Kati and she was amazing. We wouldn’t consider switching to another lender because of her. It was a very competitive rate and I didn't feel I had to negotiate with her. She was constantly bringing me the best that was available. One of the best things about her was that she was available at any step of the process. There was coordination that needed to take place and I could call her anytime. Whether we were bidding or negotiating, she was there to kind of lend the support and expertise to the whole process.

Original review: May 6, 2022

We have used Kurt several times and he never has disappointed us. He is a pleasure to work with. The application process went smoothly from the beginning of obtaining the appraisal to getting the final closing documents to the signing process. I would highly recommend Kurt to anyone.

Original review: May 4, 2022

My previous experience with NBKC had always been excellent, 3 refinances. In the past NBKC sold the mortgage, no problem.. Not this time, instead they are servicing the mortgage internally under the name of Devonshire, beyond awful. I have automatic withdrawals from my checking account for the mortgage payment. 1/06/22 the mortgage withdrawal was nearly double**. Calling the Devonshire was a complete waste of time, NOBODY knew anything. I spent 3 hours on the phone with no resolution at all. I was dumbfounded. Determined not to be robbed, I have been on the phone with Devonshire for a total of nearly 23 hours.

Here is what I learned—Through my insurance agent, I consolidated my insurance policies which changed carriers for the mortgaged home. At no time was I without coverage. All was done through the same agency. Devonshire took upon themselves to set up an escrow account charge me for insurance, and withdraw the amount from my checking account., citing lapse of insurance coverage. I did get the insurance company involved to verify that I never had a lapse in coverage. My agent has been in the business for over 30 years and never in her experience had such a terrible dealing with a mortgage carrier.

A 5 minute phone conversation and a quick fax usually suffices. Multiple faxes followed with mailed hard copies just got nothing accomplished. She has indicated she has over 10 hours of her time involved. It is now 05/05/22, and I still haven’t received a refund check from Devonshire (NBKC). I pray every day they will sell my mortgage. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: April 4, 2022

We have now worked with NBKC twice while buying homes. They consistently lock in the best rates and have the best customer service. They are very thorough and professional with their work. They are prompt with responses and easy to work with, would recommend them to anyone!

Original review: April 2, 2022

It was my first time working with CJ of NBKC, third time refinancing and I would say he is the best loan officer I have ever worked with. He made the processing so much easy, stress free, explained everything in details and always ready to answer questions despite the time difference. Highly recommended.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I am first time home buyer and always heard how daunting it could be. I have to say working with NBKC and in particular my loan officer, Brett **, was anything daunting. All my questions were answered in a timely and professional manner, Everything was processed quickly. I was referred to NBKC and in particular by a friend and I would absolutely refer them to anyone I know who is looking to buy a home. First Rate!

nbkc bank Company Information