Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.7/5 (278 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: March 12, 2021

Used the Barclays card to put a down payment on a pole barn, the business called Behrs buildings would not give me the barn prints so I could get the permit from my county. I asked for a refund after 3 days of nothing but a run around, discovered 27 BBB complaints and multiple complaints with several District attorney's offices and 17 people on Facebook marketplace I had connected with about them never receiving their orders. They wrote in on the bottom of the docu sign, "No refunds on deposits" which by law is forgery. I would have never given this company 2683 dollars had I thought at minute one I would lose that money by canceling an order that was never put in progress. I immediately contacted Barclay to do a charge back which they did, then a month later the charge was back on there. Contacted them again and they said the merchant met the criteria for the charge, I said, "What criteria and why wasn't I involved in that discussion?"

Of course they never sent me the letter then made the decision on. I spent a day gathering all the scamming information about that company including stories from 12 of the 17 people who were scammed on Facebook marketplace, copy of the 27 complaints on the BBB and copies of the Michigan and Ohio District attorney's office Complaints along with a CD where I taped every conversation with Zach Pryers the owner of Behrs buildings and his constant lies. None of any of that changed their minds.

I simply told them "you are in violation of the Consumer protection laws and I'm going to pay the balance of my card with exception of the 2683.50, close the card then send a copy of the information I sent you to all 3 credit bureaus so when you try and ruin my spectacular credit others will see what a fraud you are as a credit card company." So far I have not heard anything back, Behrs buildings ads were taken down on Facebook marketplace as a scam and Barclays can kiss me as a 6 year perfect paying customer GOODBYE.

Original review: March 9, 2021

Opened account a year ago, app stopped working, I lost sight of the account which was my fault. Annual charge hit, without an email or phone call they turned it over to the credit bureau. Poor banking in my opinion. Closed account immediately.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

As I continue to pay down my card, they continue to LOWER my credit limit. I am paying the card down to reduce the outstanding balance AGAINST the credit limit. I had over $1000 of credit availability and now I have LESS THAN $200, effective immediately. What if I had an ER and relied on THIS card for relief? I would have been STUCK. This reduction is the SECOND inside of 6 months. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? I don't okay late. I pay more than the minimum. I'm confused. If someone is actually REVIEWING my credit report they will see that I am PAYING DOWN MY CARDS. There was a "dip" in my score was because I PAID OFF my car note, the ONLY installment account I had. The PAYOFF actually INCREASES the amount of CASH ON HAND of about $400. This makes no sense to me. I asked them to please NOT respond with a canned message but to actually LOOK AT MY INFORMATION. We'll see. Mm.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

This is the worst bank. The customer service is absolutely terrible. I was kept on hold for an hour when chasing a complaint I had made only for them to refuse to uphold the complaint and when I told them I was on hold for so long costing a lot of money for the call they just said sorry. It's just one problem after another with Barclays and as soon as I'm able to open an account elsewhere I will be closing this one permanently.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

Do not use them. Made a payment and my next payment was in March and they charge me a late fee in Feb even though I just made a bigger payment to knock it down. This is why people don't pay off their credit cards cuz shady companies like this keep putting on their ** fees to keep you paying their interests. Never use this bank or their credit cards. You will get screwed over by their lies.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I have been good standing consumer for many years. I am very unhappy with my APR I recently requested a lower rate and was flat out denied! They keep increasing my credit line without me asking. I called today spoke with Janet a manager, and she informed me that they do not honor consumer request for lower APR. They do not care about the consumers!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Since I stay in Hotels multiple times per month I applied for Barclays Wyndham Rewards Card. They approved me and I requested to have the card send to me ASAP which was a charge of $15.00. The card was send to me very quickly. Needless to say after receiving the card I Activated it, set up online account and sign up for paperless billing. Within few days I received a letter from Barclay requesting various pieces of personal documents in order to verify my identity. I refuse to send this kind of documents over any kind of mail or fax since this can be easily used by anyone to steal my identity. The bottom line I requested Barclays to close the account and wanted to pay $15.00 for the shipping fee, which they refuse to accept since my account have been locked.

Next thing I get is email notifying me that I owe $30.50. I called again. They said they cant take a payment over the phone because my account is locked. The only way I can make a payment is through mail. So I wrote a check for the amount of $30.50, send it to the address listed for mail in payments on their website. The check was never cashed. Next I received email now I owe $61.59. Called Barclays again was told there is nothing they can do since my account is locked. I was advised to keep making payments until this clears. I hope they wont ruin my credit because of all of this. I never used the card and I cant even make a payment. By the way I did received a letter from Barclay that my account was closed. All I want to do is make the payment and get them out of my life. This is by far the worst credit company I have ever dealt with. In the last 12 years I have never made a late payment on any of my financial obligations.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

The credit card purchase protection for the Barclay card is the worst I have ever dealt with. I was scammed by an online merchant in France. I filed a transaction dispute with Barclays. They are very uncommunicative with the cardholder during this process. They don't ask for any details or information about the dispute from the cardholder until the initial review is already decided. Then 10 days later I got a letter that they were declining my dispute and I could finally respond with more evidence. I submitted the details of the communication and confirmed that the service had not been provided. Over a month later I got a letter again declining the dispute with a simple reason "The merchant has not violated the terms and conditions of the contract", which is untrue. They clearly don't care about actually providing purchase protection to their cardholders, it's just a front to make them look like they care.

If you are looking for a Safe option for online or International purchases I recommend strongly against any of the Barclays Credit Cards. The Alaska Airlines Visa Card has been very honest and good in resolving purchase protection issues for me in the past and also offers No Foreign Transactions Fees on International Purchases.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I received a notice in the mail from Barclays credit card, that if I did not use my credit card it would be closed, and I would lose my points. Since I have about 91,000 points that I did not want to lose. I used the card. Well I was in dispute with a vendor who charged me an excess of $42. I provided proof that I made the payment to Barclays and was charged an excess of $42.00. This occurred in Oct 2020.

I was informed that my case was assigned to an agent on Dec 22. Since then I have been charged a late fee of $40 plus interest of $1.00 by Barclays while the case is still open and in dispute. But what is egregious is that Barclays have reported me as being delinquent in my payment. So instead of my outstanding balance being $42 the disputed amount, the outstanding balance reflected in my account is now $83.00. The original $42 plus Barclays late fee of $40 and interest of $1.00. My credit score has decreased by 38 points. I have emailed Barclays to right the wrong.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

DO NOT give this company your hard earned credit to play with! Like a number of other reviewers, I was extended a large amount of credit. My payments were always on time and always more than the minimum. Out of the blue they dropped my credit limit to just above the balance I was carrying. Between the interest that was charged before I received the notification of the change and an automatic payment that came through, I went over the new limit. I made a couple of larger payments to try and prevent that situation from happening and both times they dropped the limit to where I was in danger of going over. My credit rating has dropped like a stone! Don't make the same mistake that I did. Stay away from this company!

Barclays Bank Company Information