Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.5/5 (280 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Barclays sent convenience checks to me without them being requested (I had never even heard of a convenience check before this issue). They did not make it into my mailbox and I ended up with someone writing a check to cash for $900. I called Barclays to report it as fraud. I called back a week later to check on the status and they said the case had been cancelled - I was not notified. I filed another fraud claim with customer service and once again called back weeks later to find that they had marked the charge as "valid" without notifying me of any of the details of the investigation. I finally got a hold of the fraud department and they reversed the charge and said they would open a case. I was sent a photocopy of the convenience check that was clearly not my writing or signature and had some weird writing on the back that didn't look like English.

I called back 3 weeks later when I got a notification that my account was past due and late fees were accruing. The rep had no idea what she was doing and told me the case was closed and it was valid. I asked to speak with a manager and she said no... Once this is resolved I will close my account. Not a single representative has been helpful or pleasant. One even told me "you need to calm down" in a very abrasive tone when I said "I just want to get this resolved because it's affecting my credit". Barclays is the WORST bank I've ever dealt with!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

A few years ago while booking a cruise I applied for and get the Carnival Fun Points Mastercard issued by Barclays with an initial credit limit of $5000.00. I use this card almost exclusively for cruises. I have always paid the card off within the promotional period for each cruise. In August I booked a cruise starting September 26th. I've already paid 1/2 of the cruise and only have a $900 balance. I have not missed or been late on ANY credit card for 30+ years. My oldest credit card is AMEX issued in 1993. I have multiple bank cards with high limits (24K, 12K, 15K, 10K), some of these do not have balances. Yes I do have cards with balances and I recently refinance my home to cutoff 9 years of payments.

Tomorrow is the date the on-line check-in opens and I was planning on using the Carnival card for the entire trip. I received an alter from Credit Karma that my credit limit was lowered to $1100 or by 78% leaving me with only $200 to use for the upcoming cruise. I spoke to 3 different customer service "managers" who refused to re-instate the original credit limit. This is a horrible way to treat a customer that has the means and proven track record of 30+ years that has NEVER had an issue with paying any credit card, car payment or mortgage.

I have other cards to use for the trip, but I won't get the 4X points they promised when I made the reservation. I have one other card issued by Barclays - I can't wait to see how long it takes for them to lower that credit limit. One final thought: AMEX Blue just increase my limit by $3000 last month, BOA approved me for their new rewards card, initial credit limit was $11,500. Barclays should be put out of business. They are horrible.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

This is the 2nd card I received and I am unable to activate it or reach anyone via phone. Plus I paid $15 for express mail but took 2 weeks to receive it via regular mail. Marcelle **. Ps I have been unable to get a response or anything resolved. Lock Marcelle **. Account ending in: **.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

In a world in which all big corporations deliver more or less the same mediocre, impersonal level of outsourced customer service, Barclays wins the award for ... WORST customer service EVER. I opened an account so that I could earn Wyndham Rewards points for purchases and used my credit card whenever I traveled for several years, until suddenly, I found out, on my own (without warning or notification from the company) that my account had been closed due to "inactivity."

I was never particularly fond of Barclays or its customer support, so it was easy to live without them. However, after COVID has subsided, and I began to travel again, I decided to re-apply for a new card in order to earn points. Boy, was THAT a mistake. I didn't think a company could sink from a two- to one-star rating in less than a year, but Barclays has once again exceeded my expectations.

In what should have been a relatively straightforward process, my application has been subjected to a familiar series of delays, oversights, and missteps that I have come to expect from Barclays. There was no communication whatsoever by email, phone, or U.S. mail as to the status of my application, and as my departure date drew near, I finally ended up calling customer service and spending the next two hours being shuttled back and forth between customer service and the fraud department (for some reason) before a series of hapless associates managed to put the broken pieces back together again.

After I had received and registered my card, I discovered, to my utter delight, that several websites denied my new card as a form of payment and in one case, cancelled an order I had placed after the fact. Nevertheless, I have managed to make about a half dozen purchases with it, but upon logging in for the first time to view my activity, I was greeted with a friendly WARNING banner and a request for me to call customer service to resolve a "discrepancy." NOTE: I started writing this lengthy review over 20 minutes ago, while on hold for the second time today, waiting to speak with a Barclays "relationship manager," but all I have received so far is a dangerous dose of bad elevator music and frequent interruptions from a helpful computer voice, assuring me to PLEASE HOLD.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

My automobile service company accidentally charged my Barclay Credit Card for its yearly membership fee; normally they send me an invoice. About a month later Barclay sent me a bill. I was surprised because my Barclay account was supposed to be closed and not usable. I didn't expect Barclay to send me a bill. Nevertheless, Barclay received the charged and I immediately disputed it because the account was closed. I paid my automobile service company with bank funds, and asked them to remove the charge from Barclay...They removed the charge from Barclay. Barclay, however, did not remove the charge. I called them multiple times and had them speak with my automobile service company that the charge was already paid.

Barclay refused to remove the charge. Barclay then damaged my credit score because they didn't receive payment within 60 days. I ended up paying Barclay the charge, so my credit score would not be damaged further. Barclay gladly accepted payment. In Essence, I paid twice for my automobile membership. One to my automobile club, and the other payment to Barclay for absolutely nothing! I'm upset about the situation, but there is little I can do against a giant financial institution like Barclay; except write this review. It's just like stealing. Barclay stole that transaction! My only hope is someone else will be warned, and not have to live through this very frustrating experience!

Original review: July 28, 2021

I unluckily agreed to their marketing material for Easy Pay Enrolled Transactions. I found out after I signed up, there isn't an Easy Way to pay off those transactions early. There are only 2 options: 1. Cancel the card; 2. Stop using the card. Even if you pay your statement balance, that will not pay off the Easy Pay Enrolled Transactions.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I have had a Barclays card since March 2016. My credit limit was $3600. Within the past three months I paid my credit card down to a $200 balance. Today, I noticed my credit limit was reduced to $700. I contacted customer service and was informed a letter was mailed. I should allow 10-15 business days and the letter would explain why my credit limit was lowered. I will pay the remaining of my balance ($200) and close my account with Barclay. They are horrible!

Original review: July 23, 2021

I was a Priceline rewards cardholder. During the pandemic period, they closed the account/loot rewards points without any proper communication or consent. I lost many hundred dollars worth of points. I connect to the customer service, even worst experience. Please no one go for this company again.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I have had this card for over 5 years. In the last several months they put on an interest charge even though it is paid in full on time. I call them and they remove the charge. I will stop using this card since this is terrible overcharging.

Original review: July 18, 2021

This is truly the worst credit card I've ever had even through hard times made my payments still drop credit limit several times hurting my credit score. This company doesn't care about you. Please do yourself a favor. Don't get this card or anything from Barclay. And besides that customer service is really hard to get in contact with.

Barclays Bank Company Information