Disclosures

3.6/5 (472 ratings)

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I have three cards with Barclay and the card works the way we would like. However, a few issues I have. If you carry a balance they will keep extending your credit limit. You then have to call them to get the credit limit set back down. After about a year it will start going up again. Next issue is they have a very high interest rate. I contacted them with interest rates being so low now about reducing my interest rates and they refuse to reduce it. So I will probably be switching to another company that has much better interest rates.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Overall rates are comparable. Linked to American Airlines with good communication between both. There has been good communication when I have called with questions or requests. Good communication between the two. Have had very good communication between the bank and myself with things.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Do not get this credit card. I thought I was applying for an Apple Card because I was on the apple website and needed financing to purchase a laptop. Turns out I got a card with this company and my account was opened in August. It is now October and I still have not received a card from them. I called customer service because my online login was locked out because all of my security questions were wrong and in order to do anything online I have to have my card in my possession. I can't even get online support. I had to call and the lady was rude and wanted to know why I was just now telling them I didn't get a card. She re issued me a card and wouldn't help me get my online account access back. She told me I have to wait till I get my card in the mail. which could be 10 business days. I plan on just paying off this card once I can and cancelling it. Not worth the hassle.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I have never been so disappointed in the protection I received from an unsavory retailer as I had when using my Barclay's JetBlue credit card. I had choices. Over the past 2 years, I had charged over $500,000 on my credit card. Never once did I dispute a charge. Never once did I pay the card late. As I said I had choices and I made a bad choice. Besides choosing an awful vendor, I chose my Barclay's credit card instead of my Chase credit card to put this charge on. I disputed the charge on August 12th. After never have been contacted by Barclay's, their first response was to close the claim. They never even reached out to me.

When I called them I was told someone would call me back. Barclay's is so busy, it took them 6 weeks and yesterday I received a call even though in the interim I repeatedly called and was promised a call back by a supervisor within 24 hours. DON'T make the same mistake I made. If you have an option, DO NOT USE BARCLAY'S CREDIT CARDS. They are not consumer-friendly and are awful to deal with!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Barclays Bank & Diamond Resort work in Tandem. We were told via Diamond Resort that Barclays would do the financing for our timeshare and we would get paperwork via mail...We never received anything except a Credit Card from Barclays Bank. Which we did not knowingly apply for, authorize use on, or activate. Charges were made in the amount of $399.00 via Diamond Resort on 8/19/2020 for a down deposit we never agreed to on the day we did the timeshare presentation. Upon receiving the card, which still has not been activated we called Barclays Bank who stated this should be handled as a dispute and not fraud (because Barclays & Diamond Resort have a relationship!).

It took an act of congress to get them to place a fraud alert on the account and they refused to remove the charges. I have sent a copy of our Diamond Resort contract that clearly stipulates: All charges above will be billed to a Debit Card and the number is written. (Barclays Credit Card was never discussed, authorized or activated). I also have pictures once signed into Barclays' website; requesting we activate our card immediately! This fraudulent account with Barclays has been closed! However, I was told the charges would remain in force. What a scam & truly a conflict of interest...I am bemused that this is allowed to happen.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

As I was booking a hotel through Wyndham Barclay bank has an offer that before you check out you can apply for a Wyndham Barclay credit card and get $50 off or you booking (that you were making right then) and also receive 15,000 points. I decided to apply for the card and was approved for the card. Then a notification come up saying finish book with discount, so I clicked the button and the screen went blank so I was not able to book it or see the $50 off when I tried to book it again. So I called and the reservation person told me to finish booking with another credit card and then I could change the payment and get my credit. So I booked my room and then she transferred me to the credit card department to confirm the account the transfer the payment. I got on with a Representative and after awhile was finally able to confirm my account then they were getting ready to look into the offer and then the phone call was dropped!

I found their # and called it. It turned out to be reservations so they transferred me to someone else and the phone call was dropped again! Finally found the # For the Barclay Credit card. Several times of calling the message would say ¨take a short survey before being transferred. Press 1 if you are older then 50, press 2 if you are younger then $50¨. After pressing a # the call would drop. And then when I would call back it would say this, "# does not work in your area!" It did that 5 or 6 times of me calling! VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

Finally talked to someone who knew nothing about the offer. She then said I could get the $50 off my next purchase and I would still get the points. She then said she would transfer me to someone else. At this point I have been one the phone for 3 1/2 hours! I feel like I have been totally scammed and just transferred around and Hung up on several times. I will be reporting this to the Better Business Bureau also. I will never book through wyndham again!!!! OR stay at a wyndham hotel! Or have anything to do with BARCLAY! Not sure what is going on with this company but it seems pretty shady!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I have had fraudulent charges on my credit card for 4 months. I cannot get answers from customer service. The card was never out of my possession. They continue to charge me interest on these fraudulent charges.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Applied for and received a Jet Blue credit card from Barclays Bank. It was recommended to me by Credit Karma due to my outstanding credit. I read thru the materials and they state you will be given 15.99, 19.99 or 24.99% interest rate based on creditworthiness. Imagine my surprise when the card shows up and the interest rate is 24.99% my credit scores are all in the mid 800’s 34 years of credit history, no late payments, low credit usage and no derogatory remarks. So I call, get bounced around to 3 different individuals, none of whom can substantiate or explain the high interest rate on my new account. I immediately closed the account without ever having used it. Steer clear of these thieves.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Very poorly run company. I opened an account with them late 2019 and they gave me a generous credit limit of $9k and after putting my sons college tuition on the card of $4,500 they reduced my credit limit down to $4,500. So now I'm using 100% of my limit and that hurts my credit profile BIG Time! I have never missed a payment on anything and I'm making the same amount of money as I was when I got the card. I find the practice of lowering credit limits when there the customer has 0 late payments any credit items to be malicious and only hurts the consumer. Watch out for these guys!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I have had a terrible experience with the Barclays Frontier Credit Card that I have read many other people also experience. I have a very high FICO score and I work hard to keep it that way. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, Barclays E-mails me and shows me a HUGE 30 point drop in my SCORE. I am extremely well-versed in my FICO score. I spent hours on the phone and got reports mailed to me from Transunion and there is Absolutely 100% no legitimate no reason for this drop. None of the other sites show my score has dropped. Only Barclays. The drop is unique to them. Transunion says it is not because of them. My score on there was 30 points higher, yet Barclays contends it gets the score from Transunion. This is a lie. If you call Barclays, they have someone from the Philippines who knows nothing about anything.

If all of the other numerous places from which I check my score report a score 30 points higher, and Barclays is the only one that drops it by 30 THIRTY whole points, then the problem is that Barclays is committing fraud. And the only reason I can think is that I am not using their card to spend money every month. So they punish me by dropping my score,. When I go on all the other credit card's FICO site, I see my score is high. When I get my credit reports from the 3 agencies is it high. But Barclays send me these horrible E-mail alerts "Your CREDIT SCORE HAS CHANGED." To upset me. This is intentional to upset me, and waste my time. IT is meant to shock and hurt me. It is false and fraudulent.

Barclays is the ONLY one to lower my score. It is FRAUD. Barclays should be thoroughly investigated for engaging in this matter of intimidating customers. IF you look at Barclays stock price, you will see they are financially in trouble. So intimidating customers by sending them false FICO alerts, is their way of trying to get cardholders to spend money. Barclays should be held accountable but when you call them they say to call Transunion because they get it from Transunion. My transunion score remains 30 points higher than the Barclays score. Barclays should pay penalties for fraud.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

The following has occurred several times since I opened a CD account with Barclays Bank early this year: impossibility to access my account online with my ID and PW; my account gets blocked; I have to spend hours with customer service with security questions and they still cannot help, told to wait a few days; After several days, a customer service finally truly unblocks my account and I can regain access to it online. This is totally intolerable, unacceptable. When the CD matures next Spring I will NEVER use this bank again.

Original review: July 31, 2020

They gave me a break on an interest payment during Covid-19 when I was having trouble getting a big refund from a cruise company. I appreciated that. Their website is very consumer friendly and I pay no international banking fees when I use it abroad.

Original review: July 26, 2020

I can't log in to their website and have not been able to access my online activities for 7 weeks. I can't send them an email because you have to access your account to do that, so I have to call their toll free number. Only answer I get is that they know they have an issue and are working on it. I call every week and get the same response. Totally unacceptable for a major credit card. Is this a Barclays issue or a Wyndham issue?

Original review: July 24, 2020

The card is great for Jet Blue points, interest is high but I pay it off monthly so I don't pay interest. Annual fee sucks but if you want points you have to pay. I buy everything with the card to get as much points as possible.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Let me start by explaining how horrible this CC is, they are the worst. Do yourselves favor. Don't get this card. It's run by Wyndham and don't apply... Customer Service are the worst, meaning overseas. The company sneak up on the customer with high fee after what just happen and after we overpay our bill. They didn't care or budge at all... They are not helpful and caring for that matter...

Original review: July 23, 2020

This bank hires only the most arrogant people for their customer service. They will go out of their way to not help you. I had accounts with two credit cards issued by Barclays. You would think asking them to transfer a payment from one card to another would be a simple task. Not for Barclays. They go the extra mile to make sure they will make life easy only for themselves.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Would give zero stars if that were a possibility. Predatory practices from day one. First, they reduced my limit to just above my balance, which threw my credit data out of whack. Then they pulled a hard inquiry and closed the account a year after it was opened. I've been in autopsy for two years since its closure and my balance is literally still at the limit. They don't apply your payments to principal at all. It's as bad as a student loan. They keep recalculating the payments to be higher and higher despite me paying on time, and now it's gone to where I've had a payment bounce because they attempted to take so much out. One missed payment dropped my credit by 42 points, yet they gleefully took out this month's no problem. I'm over it and about ready to turn off autopsy and let it go to collections. The damage to my credit has already been done anyhow. Worst, most predatory bank.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Due to COVID 5/5/2020 bill paid 1 day late. Customer service guaranteed removal of Interest charge of $334.44 on 6/5/2020 Bill and No interest moving forward if paid on time. It was never removed and another Interest charge of $253.01 was on 7/5/2020 Bill. I always pay my bills in full for years. Barclay customer service is a disgrace! Promise one thing and do another! Been sending messages and calling for 3 days to No avail. They don't answer messages, the phone, and don't have an e-mail. Customer service at Barclay is Horrible!

Original review: June 27, 2020

Awful, awful customer service. They are more interested in getting you off the phone vs answering your question. No sense of customer first, helpful escalation, nothing. Not clear how they measure the performance of the customer reps, but if it is about being responsive, they are not. If I could give a Zero, I would.

Original review: June 24, 2020

This company is absolutely awful. I hate them. They closed my account even though I was making on time payments. They went ahead and discriminated me; blocked my access online and have no way to communicate with anyone. Discrimination also exists at this level and they practice it, in the way they treat people. I can only call in to make a payment. Recently they were sending email confirmations of my payments and now they don't. At least you would think they would have the decency to send confirmation of my payment. I wish they would go out of business. They are horrible in all instances.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I bought leggings and a top online, it was a scam and I rec’d a piece of fabric instead of my purchase (so the merchant could provide tracking if requested). I disputed the charge with Barclays. I sent them a ridiculous amount of documentation and proof on the incident including dates, emails, etc. They responded by sending me a letter and denying the dispute- never even talking to me before they denied it. They said in the letter that they didn’t see that the merchant violated the purchase agreement.... What? You can’t get through to a person ever. No one will gives you any real explanation or lets you explain/discuss your side of the story. I thought this was rare but in reading the reviews of others I see that it common practice for Barclays!!!! DO NOT get credit from Barclays!!!!

Original review: May 27, 2020

I bought a safety face mask due to COVID-19 on EBay and and pay $120.55 by using Barclays Credit Card on March 03. Right the same day when I received them I notice that they was not exactly the same item that I bought so decided to contact Ebay and make a request for return. Return were approved by the seller and printed return label provided by EBay and send it back to seller. Tracking number is showing delivery date on March 13. Seller refund me $12.05 instead $120.55. I call and follow a dispute on EBay, Barclays and until now they don’t even care about my money I paid. I am without the item and without my money. I follow complaint on BBB with all documentation to support my point. We will see what happen. In the mean time, I am looking for another CC company who can treat peoples fairly and not just look the dollar symbol.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I upgraded my Carnival Cruise and on the very same day Carnival cancelled our cruise. I called to dispute and reverse charge and they said they could not. I am now paying for a cruise that has been Xed.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I signed up for a Carnival Mastercard that is operated by Barclays Bank with the incentive of getting a $200 credit off my first bill. Even after sending documentation of the promised credit and having Carnival customer service get involved, Barclays refused to provided the credit. I spent hours on the phone with Barclays representatives - first they promised the credit would appear on my next bill, then they promised it would be given once I sent in my documentation, then saying there was nothing they could do. This company uses false advertising to get people to sign up and then has very poor customer service to resolve issues. I've cancelled my card!

Original review: May 12, 2020

I closed this credit card account last year and yet they continue to charge me an annual fee that I did not pay which caused my credit score to go down. I never got a single bill. They said it was not their fault which is not true. This bank sucks.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I applied for this card to transfer balances on high interest cards. It's good for that. However I perfectly and as my balance decreases Barclays drops my credit limit on the card to be just over my balance causing my credit score to plummet. Insanity. Avoid if you care about your credit report. This could prevent someone from being able to make a large purchase such as a home. Somehow I feel this is a violation of fair credit reporting practices.

Original review: May 3, 2020

I disputed a clearly fraudulent charge on my account. I had to file with office of State Bank Commission just to get a response from them. After being on hold over two hours on phone, emailing and writing them and getting no response at all! After their review they sided with the fraudulent company who charged my account without permission and I received nothing whatsoever in return. This is clearly within the parameters of Barclays Cardmember Agreement to dispute charges and not be liable for them. They sent me an unsigned, no name letter saying they were finished with this claim. No appeal. No further process! I’ve complained to every government and other agencies I can find about Barclays and the fraud company. I do NOT see any way I am legally responsible for this fraud charge. What do I do now?

Original review: April 19, 2020

I purchased a very expensive family trip utilizing this credit card in August 2019 departing April 18th, 2020. With the Pandemic, I tried to cancel my trip through the agent I booked with who closed its doors and took my money with them. I filed with the credit card seeking reimbursement as that I did not get what I paid for and would assume protection. My initial claim was denied. I then filed a second claim due to a back injury with all appropriate documents from my primary care provider. As stated in their customer service brochure, this was covered and reimbursable. I now again have gotten denied and when I've attempted to reach customer service, they are not taking phone calls anymore. I highly would avoid use of this credit card. They appear to be able to change what is covered and not covered at their discretion leaving us customers holding a very large bill. Terrible credit card.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I was charged a NSF fee due to a returned payment on 3/10, unknown to me, Barclays resubmits payments if they do not clear first time around... Had I know, I would not have made a replacement payment on 3/9 which contrary to what their executive office rep states, did in fact clear as I have shown a bank screenshot showing so. The rep is so ignorant and or can't see past her own ego, she cannot comprehend if replacement payment was returned as she claims, the account would show past due which it does not and did not... I even showed a screenshot proving she is wrong, still will not waive fee which is a mere $15.00!!!

Further, the return of payment is pandemic related and she should be aware that failing to refund is possibly illegal, given the current situation we are all in. There is already a class action investigation into companies unwilling to offer payment assistance, fee waivers, extensions, etc. I can bet Barclays card will have either an investigation launched against them or even a class action lawsuit... Failing to waive the fee, I'll simply pay off the account less the $15.00, I doubt any collection agency will attempt to collect on such a low amount. Even so, I'm sure any collection agency will send account back to creditor once explained the fee is questionable and pandemic related. This executive office rep, Lashanda **, should be fired.

Original review: April 17, 2020

For the fourth month in the past six, Barclay has been unable to post my monthly payment to my Mastercard account. I do not carry a balance and pay my account balance in full each month. However, due to their incompetence I keep needing to spend my time trying to speak with somebody at their call center -- I'm aware of the pandemic but other national and international firms seem to not have a problem. They take over a week to answer messages left on their website, as well. I am cancelling my card as soon as they straighten this out and have expressed my concern with American Airlines and am so frustrated that I'm considering moving all of my travel needs to United.

Barclays Bank Company Information