3.8/5 (472 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Barclays Bank

Barclays Bank offers financial services including access to personal loans, CDs, savings accounts and credit cards. It doesn’t offer checking accounts. Its credit card, called the Barclaycard, ranges from $0 to $499 in cashback rewards, travel benefits and annual fees. The company serves U.S. residents from its locations in 11 states.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • Free mobile app
  • No monthly fees

Cons

• Limited customer support
  • Small U.S. ATM network

Bottom Line

Barclays Bank offers fee-free accounts with reasonable rates and no required minimum balances. The company provides an easy-to-navigate mobile app and website. It’s available in 11 states.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Barclays Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Barclays Bank?

Original review: April 19, 2020

I purchased a very expensive family trip utilizing this credit card in August 2019 departing April 18th, 2020. With the Pandemic, I tried to cancel my trip through the agent I booked with who closed its doors and took my money with them. I filed with the credit card seeking reimbursement as that I did not get what I paid for and would assume protection. My initial claim was denied. I then filed a second claim due to a back injury with all appropriate documents from my primary care provider. As stated in their customer service brochure, this was covered and reimbursable. I now again have gotten denied and when I've attempted to reach customer service, they are not taking phone calls anymore. I highly would avoid use of this credit card. They appear to be able to change what is covered and not covered at their discretion leaving us customers holding a very large bill. Terrible credit card.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I was charged a NSF fee due to a returned payment on 3/10, unknown to me, Barclays resubmits payments if they do not clear first time around... Had I know, I would not have made a replacement payment on 3/9 which contrary to what their executive office rep states, did in fact clear as I have shown a bank screenshot showing so. The rep is so ignorant and or can't see past her own ego, she cannot comprehend if replacement payment was returned as she claims, the account would show past due which it does not and did not... I even showed a screenshot proving she is wrong, still will not waive fee which is a mere $15.00!!!

Further, the return of payment is pandemic related and she should be aware that failing to refund is possibly illegal, given the current situation we are all in. There is already a class action investigation into companies unwilling to offer payment assistance, fee waivers, extensions, etc. I can bet Barclays card will have either an investigation launched against them or even a class action lawsuit... Failing to waive the fee, I'll simply pay off the account less the $15.00, I doubt any collection agency will attempt to collect on such a low amount. Even so, I'm sure any collection agency will send account back to creditor once explained the fee is questionable and pandemic related. This executive office rep, Lashanda **, should be fired.

Original review: April 17, 2020

For the fourth month in the past six, Barclay has been unable to post my monthly payment to my Mastercard account. I do not carry a balance and pay my account balance in full each month. However, due to their incompetence I keep needing to spend my time trying to speak with somebody at their call center -- I'm aware of the pandemic but other national and international firms seem to not have a problem. They take over a week to answer messages left on their website, as well. I am cancelling my card as soon as they straighten this out and have expressed my concern with American Airlines and am so frustrated that I'm considering moving all of my travel needs to United.

Original review: April 14, 2020

I was informed yesterday that credit limit was reduced because I currently have high CC debt and my score is now 690 as a result of it. However I own multiple businesses and travel frequently which I use my cards for. I generally pay bills weeks before due date and always more than minimum. I have never paid the bill late nor have I asked anyone to wait on a payment - even in our current situation. In fact I moved funds out of my savings to ensure all bills were met in a timely manner. Furthermore in view of the current state of affairs they should be helping their customers not adding to their hardships. This is NOT a company that cares for their customers or has their backs in a time of need. It's no different than a utility disconnecting service in the middle of a disaster. No longer a fan!

Original review: March 30, 2020

Asked for cash advance checks. Was told I didn't have enough available balance. Said I will EVENTUALLY. Finally mailed checks. Now they are holding a $500 payment I show cleared my bank. NO cust. svc.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Accepted offer Barclays promoted for Carnival MasterCard on recent cruise for $200 statement credit. Spent many hours with customer service but they said ‘no reward exists’. Unwilling to honor brochure.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I am slowly getting my balance paid off and will be closing this card because the interest rate is so unbelievably high! I assumed it was high because we had been a credit risk when we first became your customer, but having proven we are not a risk for the past 2 years, I called customer service to ask for a reduction. I was told that it was normal and wouldn't be reduced because "the Fed can't make up it's mind and leave the interest rates alone."

Now, with COVID-19, and all the financial troubles this country is having, I don't even see any mention of Barclays offering a life line at all to their customers! The taxpayers in this country bailed out the banks when the economy when in the toilet during the economic downturn, but the banks are just going to leave us hanging out to dry now?!

Original review: March 9, 2020

If you don't use their card your credit limit all go down.. And I signed up for online..or I thought. Saw my payment wasn't taken out 2 days after. I should of called and paid off my whole $ 5.00 balance plus the $7.00 fee... And they still hit my credit report. Was never late for the 2 years I've been with them. STAY AWAY CONSUMERS. NOT A GOOD CARD OR COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I had this card for yrs. I kept it after my divorce because they always kept the payment steady and low. I never paid it late, sometimes paid it twice a month for yrs. One month I was late by 10 days after loyal payments and they not only hit me with late payments. They didn’t care why when I called. Then reduced my credit amount by 2000. Three yrs goes by. I made it an absolute point never to make a payment late again to them.

My ex husband hurts my credit by having something repossessed and they close my account for serious delinquency. Mind you. Not their company. It had nothing to even do with them. Unbelievable. I worked my butt off trying to survive after my divorce and still get punished for something that had nothing to do with their card happening elsewhere. I would understand if I had been delinquent and not been paying their bill. That would have been appropriate. Even when you are doing the right thing with a company you still get punished. So stay away from a company like this. You should be judged on how you perform with the company you are working with.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

My wife was in a coma, and Barclays wouldn't let me pay her account to avoid late fees. After we closed the account they accepted and paid additional monthly charges to the account by Apple, and then charged us for their error. On appeal they insisted. DON'T GET A BARCLAYS OR JET BLUE CREDIT CARD unless you agree to be mistreated and cheated.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I got this card to earn miles. I have multiple items that I charge to the account every month. I made a purchase and went into my account to find the charge had a temporary hold as usual. The next day went in a noticed the charge had been posted but the temporary charge was still there, but wasn't too concerned as I figured it just fall off by the end of the day. Few days later I went back into my account to find that the charge was still there and some of my regular charges had not been processed, causing fees. I contacted customer service and for 2 hours got the run around, from the temporary charges don't affect the available balance or it is the other company that put 2 charges in. Needless to say the other company did not put a hold or a double charge.

I finally got a manager and was told that their system randomly decides when and for how long it will leave a temporary charge on your account after they have posted it your account. So in other words they can choose to fraud you out of your money whenever they choose, by posting a your original charge and still hold a temporary charge against you. The manager told me that they have no contact with corporate, that they have to mail a hand written letter to corporate when they have a problem. Needless to say they could not calculate the total available balance correctly. They were sorry, but offered no compensation for the fees that I am charged because of their error. I am in the process of switching to a better company with better customer service and honesty. Hope I can find one.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I got credit card. The money inside is $1,500 from Barclays since 2017 and I been paying $55 monthly or more than that since 2017 until now and never use the card for 3 years. But I just noticed I checked my acct. everytime I checked nothing changed to the number. Still the same from $1,500 that I owed from credit card, now $$1,600 and never used the card for long. They closed it and where did my payment go? I feel like I got rip off. I even paid off or almost paid off my other credit cards but I noticed this Barclays getting my payment monthly and it's not deducted to what i owed?!! I kept paying and it did not reduced to what I owed???!!! Scary Barclays Bank making me shocked!!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I disputed a charge for flowers for a friend's mother that pasted away. The flowers sent we not as described or pictured on vendor website. Sent pic of website and what was received. Barclay's supervisor agreed completely different. Vendor wrote back with 7 pages of their policy to not refund and Barclay's charged me back. In all my years I have never experienced a card that didnt go to bat for a customer. The Vendor never addressed the issue but wanted the dead flowers back. Never sign up for this card if at all possible.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I made a monthly payment online and it was put through twice. I called the next day and was told it should be refunded to me in 5-7 business days. I waited and was not provided a refund. I called back and was told it could take up to 21 days for them to "investigate"; this is a ridiculous amount of time to be out my own money for their mistake, especially since there was nothing to investigate - it clearly showed a double payment from the same transaction on my account on both ends. Yet, after 21 days I still did not receive my refund. So I called again, and after waiting 30 minutes on hold for customer service, I was told it was still pending and could be another week. I STILL have not received my money back.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My husband and I have had this card for a few years, originally with Barclaycard but now the company is called Mercury Mastercard. In November I made a purchase online but never received the product, and was promised a refund. It never came, so in December I tried to dispute the charge. The Mercury customer service representative said she would transfer me to the dispute department, but instead I was transferred to the customer service number of the company that wouldn't refund me. I waited a couple of weeks in case a refund showed up -- it didn't -- so I called back. This time the Mercury Mastercard service rep told me she couldn't talk to the wife on the card, it had to be the husband. Er, what? I have my own card, I have spoken with them before without problem, but this time they refused to talk to me.

I asked if there was any way this could be disputed online or in writing, because my husband works second shift and calling during normal business hours is often impossible for him. The Mercury service rep wouldn't even answer me. I have an account with them and they literally would not tell me how to dispute a charge I made on their credit card. Why? Because I'm "just the wife." That is a direct quote. I am still in a bit of shock about this, I don't think I've had anyone say anything like that to me since the 1990s and even then it was a very rude, old-fashioned thing to say.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I bought 2 phones from Apple for 2500 and apple employee asked me to open a Barclays card so I can get points. So I did and I received 50 points. And I was told it would interest free for a yr, thereafter regular interest charge will apply, however today after a year they charge me 900 in interest because I failed to read the fine print saying if you don't pay off the full amount in a yr you have to pay interest of full year. Long story short, stay with cards that you know, Cards from Barclaycard are total scam. STAY AWAY FROM BARCLAYCARD.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Barclay should get no stars. After applying for their card thru Apple.com (who said I would have 12 months interest free when I buy an Apple product, and I could easily apply online and get approved in an hour, which never happened. After complaining to apple, they told me I had to call Barclay to see what happened.

1. Barclay told me I had to fax them my driver's license, 1090 tax, and bank statement.

2. After faxing me the information, they told me that they couldn’t read my driver's license, even though I faxed them a large scan of my license at 8.5” x 11” of front and back.

3. After arguing with them, they finally sent the card to my home address. When I realized it had been longer than they said, I called them and they told me they left it on the porch at 8:30am. A ring video showed that they never arrived on the date of 15th of December. So they lied.

4. Then when I told them that I have a mailbox, why didn’t they put it in the mailbox, they told me it was FedEx’s problem.

5. When I told them to resend it, but to a business address as I didn't want them leaving it on the porch again, they proceeded to ask security questions relating to my past. There was so many questions, that I began to object. Then they sent me to talk to security and the security was even worse. After telling him I was in Mexico on vacation he put me on hold, proceeded to call my Kansas City address and then he accused me of fraud and hung up on me.

This ordeal was of almost 2 weeks long and I have no card and my credit has been spoiled as every time you apply for a credit card it is a mark against you when credit checks are done. I have excellent credit, no debt and I am not a criminal. But they sure make you feel like one.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Ridiculous payment hours make it nearly impossible to make payments “on time” if you don’t set up auto pay. You’re bound to have late fees because they don’t send out any reminders or notifications. If you set up auto pay they always take more than the limit you set. Here’s a screenshot of one late payment, my due date is the 5th of every month.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Exceptional credit score. Made payment online, no evidence, I did not get a verification number, I'm sure I'm the only one ever this has happened to. By the time I knew it did not really go through, 75 points on the credit score lost. 1 late payment 11 years, 20 plus accounts, probably 1,400 payments, 1 vendor says I did not pay over a 27.00 pay. No recourse, no fix, "sorry", mountaintop to pond scum in a day. I tried real hard to discuss with Barclays, they said call Transunion, damage done.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I truly hate this bank! When I got to about 40% of my credit limit, they reduced my limit to just above my balance, so the limit went from $7k to $3500. This made it appear to the credit bureaus that I had maxed out my card. At the time, my credit score was over 700 and my OVERALL balance-to-limit ratio was about 35%. I have never been late on a payment to any creditor and my income actually increased a couple months before Barclays did this. Plus, I always paid at least double the minimum. After inquiring and being told that basically, they would not reconsider, I started paying down the card with intention of cancelling the account. Lo and behold, After paying it down to half, they decreased my limit again, so yet again, it looks like the card is maxed out. Meanwhile, several of my other cards have increased my credit limits.

Needless to say, my credit score took another hit because of Barclays. This seems like a very unfair practice. I can understand that they want to safeguard against being burned, but it would be better to keep the credit limit the same and just block further charges so the consumer's score is not affected....especially if there has NEVER been a late payment and the card is not being used. At the very least, give a warning that if the card is not paid down, the limit will be decreased.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

This card was paid off by the title Co after a refi. It has been over 2 weeks and they have no record of my $5400 payment. The worst service EVER!!!! They opened a case for payment research that is a complete FRAUD. Where is Barclays and why did they turn me over to this sham company. Get another credit card provider and RUN far away from this company: Mercury Mastercard.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Absolutely insane for a credit card to do this. If I was months behind, sure. I was 8 days late (mind you, you don’t get email/text reminders because they take in a killing from their weird hours of accepting online payments, so why bother?) and they actually shut the entire card down so all my automatic renewals are what alerted me. I actually thought I had paid it, so I went in and paid the balance in full. The purchase, which was large, was a normal transaction for the account as I only use it at the Apple Store.

Anyways, I just called their call center in India and had to ask if it was true they turn the entire card off if you are past due 8 days, with less than half utilization, with purchases historical use of the same card. After she apologized several times, I firmly stated “it’s a yes or no question, answer and stop being “sorry.” She meekly replied that yes, yes they do.

What in the actual eff? Since the card is paid off and I’ve no idea what closing it would do, this card is being retired straight into a wood chipper. Had I of needed the card for something important, I’d be so hosed even with a long credit history with Barclays minus a few payments late only because their stupid cutoff for accepting payments the same day. Terrible card. The Apple Rewards are cool, but not that cool. Adios, Barclay.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

On September the 23rd, 2019 I sent Barclays Credit Card a pay off check in the amount of $7,148.00 with my full name and account number on the front of the check. And as of this date October 28th, 2019, my account has not been credited these monies. I have had to make an extra payment in order to keep my credit card from being charged any extra interest. I have called every two days since the 30th of September and have spoken to a different person with a different lie an/or different story to tell me about how they are investigating my case, except they have already cashed my check and the money is in their so called general funds account, “in the back room” wherever that is, but they do not know how to credit my credit card account so I can close it.

This is what I have been told every time I call. They always say the same thing, “that they are expediting the investigation of my case to find out where the money is, so they can apply the money to my credit card account to close. They say they do not know where my payoff money went. I have filed a complaint with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) because I have not gotten any results, but just the run around from this crappy company, and I advise any and everyone to STAY AWAY from Barclays Bank Credit Cards. If anyone has experienced the same treatment and problems Please contact the Federal Trade Commission online and file a complaint and just maybe this will start an investigation into the poor business practices and theft of this company.

I am sure I am not alone in how Barclays has misplaced funds sent to them to pay on personal credit card accounts and has not been investigated for this crime. You can file a complaint with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) online and they will give you a case number and a phone number to speak to them about your formal complaint. If anyone has filed a suit against Barclays please let others know!!! This company needs to be shut down so other consumers are not lied to and treated so poorly. Fancy Gap, Virginia Customer

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I was recently the victim of employment offer scam fraud/identity theft. When I first called Barclaycard when I realized what happened, the CS man that I spoke with said that he understood my situation, but that I would have to call back the following day to file a complaint with the fraud dept. However, when I called the next day, the CS woman with the strong foreign accent, that I spoke with was irritated and said that she wasn't going to allow me to file any complaint/disputes because the transactions were made in my name so she didn't see any evidence of fraud. DUH, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT A SCAM IDENTITY THEFT FRAUD IS!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

This is the worst sign-up process I have ever experienced in my entire life. First of all I keep getting information in Dutch. There is no where that I can put in that I want it in English. I correctly put in all my information and it keeps going back telling me something is incorrect. How would they know? I can’t wait till my phone is paid off so I could drop this horrible horrible card.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

This is the worst ever credit card that you could have in your life time. They charged me more than 1,000 dollars for having balance of 500 on my account which I wanted to pay it off today! And once I get in to my account I saw they had charged me for that damn interest! I’m student and got this credit to buy a laptop from Apple which I needed for my school work and because of all other expenses and an accident I couldn’t pay that off in 18 month but I just owed 500 dollars and now they charged me like I didn’t pay anything!!! I don’t recommend it to anyone, because with any reason if you could not pay completely in 18 month they don’t consider any other payments you had done before and you will get a large amount of interest charge on your account! I am about to cry and I hate this credit card...

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Today:

< My card was rejected from a purchase.
< The phones were down at every CS toll free number.
> Could not access through APP.

> I was able to send an email to CS but got no confirmation.

Something about this company stinks; this is not the first time I've had trouble with them. I would like to freeze the card due to the above, bad press them. At and opportune time, I'll close the account. At this moment in time, I couldn't close it if I tried to.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

They request a copy of Social Security or Driver License to be mailed for application to complete. Worse experience ever, I will not move forward with application process. I have a credit score of 818 and do not need to give them my business.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

This is is the worst bank to deal with. They charge 50 on interest that was paid in the month about the amount I owe. Please Please think twice before using this bank. I agreed to the mistake but they they charge until they bleed you to death. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. THEY ARE CROOKS AND CONGRESS WRITES THE LAWS TO LET THEM BE CROOKS.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I don’t know if JetBlue cares, but they picked a loser when they dropped American Express and went with Barclays! Since it is almost impossible to speak to a human being these days (and one that can understand and speak English), we spent three phone calls and about an hour trying to get replacement cards for our compromised credit cards.. They are totally confused and unorganized. They sent my wife her card separately from mine and then when she tried to activate it, they said that it was compromised! How could this be? They didn’t know. We asked to speak with a supervisor.. he transferred us to a recording that instructed us to call back later!!! In my opinion, JetBlue needs to get a new provider for their credit card. These guys are bad news..

Barclays Bank Company Information