U.S. Cellular

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Since I started with this company 8 months ago I have had nothing but problems. Started out with 3 months to even get them to look into why my service was dropping in the middle of multiple towers. 2 months later had to reset network due to being on Canadian network when in southern Maine. I have yet to receive an accurate bill and multiple times have had account suspended couple hours after due date expired including 3 times while I was paying the bill.

The customer service is horrible and always getting different story depending on who you talk to and bill for everything. Their bill reducer app was using 11-12 gigs of data and month which you get charged for and they push for automatic payments offering $10 discount but can never tell you what your bill will be. Worst cell phone company I have ever dealt with. Smoke signals are preferable to dealing with this company. If no improvement in service am leaving contract for breach of contract and fraud. Rude, incompetent, and thieves.

I purchased two pair of Beats headphones for my son for Christmas from US Cellular. Today he informed me that the sound just stopped so I said "well it's only been 3 months. They should be under warranty." I contacted Beats and they informed me that they would NOT uphold their 1 year warranty because we did not buy them from a Beats Retailer. They suggested I contact the retailer. I called US Cellular and they said they only offer a 15 day warranty on ALL accessories which they never bothered to tell us about and they made no effort to help remedy the situation.

I have never written a review for any company but I thought people should know that if you spend hundreds of dollars on accessories at US Cellular be prepared to take a loss if your product stops working on day 16 or beyond. I will never purchase anything else from US Cellular or Beats and just as soon as my contract is up at the end of the summer I will be switching carriers. Seriously what happened to companies doing the right thing by their customers?

I have been with US Cellular for over 10 years and the last few months have been nothing but problems. I had a Galaxy S5 and had it replaced. Within 3-4 months I had a charge port issue. I was offered either to get another replacement or upgrade. I went ahead and upgraded even though I did not want to. The agent in the store advised I will get a visa gift card for 100.00 I could use anywhere. The agent gave me misleading info and the card is only good in US Cellular stores. I paid my bill and asked for them to refund money so I could use promo card. The money was refunded and shows pending in my account. I have to wait up to 14 days to get money back. I extended my bill out longer to make sure the funds come in.

I'm glad all the associates I spoke with were able to feed their families and had food in their cabinets. While my family has literally nothing. Your customer service empathy sucks. You don't understand what I'm going through. How will I get gas, groceries, and pay other bills? Oh guess I'll have to wait the 14 days to get my money. I'm switching because you don't play with my money and make me wait to feed my household while all your employees get to eat. Total negligence and did not really have a solution to give documentation to my bank so they could return fund. Advised financial services does not do that. This is how you treat a 10+ year customer. Good job US Cellular!!!

I'm writing for my mother-in-law. She paid week ago. She only owed 75 dollars and her phone was shut off owing only 75 dollars that she was going to pay on the 1st. My mother-in-law is blind. She needs her phone on and they shut it off without any notice. Shame on U.S. Cellular... Better Business Bureau will get a report. People don't get U.S. Cellular you'll regret it... Will be filing complaint. You ** shut off a blind lady's phone.

We have had US Cellular for probably 10-12 years & the biggest problem we have is little to no service at home, in city of 80,000. This is a huge college town & I can get 1 tower in my home. I have called & called talking to many customer service personnel & when they check into the problem they come back with the same response. Oh Yes! We know that is an area with problems but they will tell us flat out that have no plans to make changes in this area! In trying to tell them about the issues I have the call dropped 4-5 times is nothing new. So the advertisement that has the "you can get service Way.. Way out here!" Is so ridiculous. I want to change services, but problem is this is the provider my husband's employer provides discounts. So we are stuck!! Now once I drive 4-5 blocks out of our neighborhood way, way out there we have all kinds of service. Poor Service!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

US Cellular Rocky Mount, NC lied about contract end date. Management is unprofessional and don't take responsibility for their employees. Their monthly fees are not competitively priced. With so many other phone carriers options I highly suggest avoiding US Cellular.

How can you have a service for two actual months and pay twice what they said it would be and then get a bill for $300 something. You try to talk to them and they say that's for your data that had a cap on other I might add... then have no service for the third month and I owe them over $400. Crooks.

I live in central Maine, so when it comes to cell reception, US Cellular has it all over all other providers. HOWEVER, in September 2016 someone in Maryland managed to buy almost $3,000 of equipment (iPhones, iPads, etc.) at a Maryland US Cellular store and put it on a payment plan on my account. I immediately contacted the US Cellular fraud department and they "took care of it".

Fast forward to Feb. 2017, and my monthly bill STILL is wrong as it has been for every month since September 2016. There are constant (and varying) equipment charges, errors in service billing, and device protection charges - all of which came from this fraud. The local US Cell store has refused to let me open a new account (without ANY fees), but my monthly bill is still a mess. They cannot seem to clean this mess off my account. I think they are incompetent!! If there were any other company that had reception here, I would change! BEWARE US CELLULAR!!!

I have been dealing with US Cellular for almost a year now and have had problems since day 1. We switched from Verizon because the salesman ensured us we could Keep the same coverage for less money than we had with Verizon so we spent about 2.5 hours in the store switching over services. The first bill came in and it was about the same as it was with Verizon with half the coverage as we had before. As the months went on we kept seeing unusually high data usage but keep in mind we kept our Verizon phones.

After the first couple months of complaining they ended up giving us 5 more gigs a month to help offset the overages we were being charged. None of our data usage has increased since we moved from Verizon nor has our phones. So we continued with the spotty service US Cellular was giving us and I ended up calling and complaining about it every other month and was told each time I'm not having a problem and to continue on.

Well now tonight we are almost a year into service and I have had enough. Service is going downhill and nobody wants to do anything about it. When I asked about leaving and if I would be charged a cancellation fee I was having to argue with the customer service agent for over a hour just to get transferred to the department that could tell me how much I would have to pay. Stay away from this company. They are nothing but liars and just want you to keep paying your bill but not help with concerns you have. I am leaving Us Cellular and going to find another carrier ASAP.

I have found this provider to have above average coverage in areas that are known to be weak. Excellent coverage on a regular basis. Their customer service is also very good and choice of phones is excellent. All in all a classy company.

Paid my bill and phone off in October in November my bill should of been $45 and I paid 20.00 of it which left 25.00 and I get a bill for $112.00. I have had nothing but outrageous bills about every other month never got my deposits back after phone's paid off! Stay away from this rip off company!

Switched from Verizon because US Cellular would pay fees... not! You get debit cards some of which are good at their stores only. Takes forever to get cards. By the time I got them Verizon took me to collections dropping my credit score 50 points. Bad reception in Minneapolis for my son. Forget to pay bill they will cut you off no notice. Also when switching over which took two hours in store at the end you get a $25 per line activation charge. Horrible. Awful. Don't switch. The ads should be classified as false advertising.

Although I have been with them for 2 years my prices have gone up and up. Every plan I have tried no matter what either my data is not enough or something else.

They have rewarded my loyalty many times, and never gave me even the tiniest reason to switch. US Cellular has been very good to me and deserve my loyalty after 15 years. I know family members who had many other providers and felt they had to switch every year or so, because they were not satisfied. US Cellular has great service, plans, and phones. Their website is easy to navigate, and to make payments on.

I went in to US Cellular in Wytheville VA a few times and the workers in there are so rude. Especially the fat girl and one of the guys that works in there. They need to teach them how to greet their customers. Also I noticed that if you're making a big purchase they are nicer. If you're having problems out of a phone they don't want to help you. Very rude. I think they need to clean house and get friendlier worker. I guess I will have to drive farther and go to Hillsville US Cellular where they are friendlier and they don't act like you are a bother. The 2 workers I had to deal with was talking to each other while trying to wait on me about something being so funny and they couldn't quit laughing. They didn't act to professional.

Customer Service is excellent by phone or by person. Overall it's ok. Wish the tower would put out more juice. Gives us at least 1 to 2 bars depending where you live I guess. Live in a Rural area.

They have met all my expectations. Customer service has answered all my questions and been readily available. Connectivity has never faltered. Very pleased. My last cell phone from consumer cellular was a disappointing experience. Being in a more rural area I was expecting some problems, but since I've switched to US Cellular there haven't been any. All is well with this company.

First of all let me say I have been a US Cellular for 20 years. In August I received a flyer through the mail advertising for 50% off a new Smartphone. I went into the US Cellular Store on Patton Ave in Asheville, NC and showed them my flyer and was there to take advantage of the offer. The sales associate was not familiar with the flyer and said that there was a misprint on my flyer and it should have said that it was 50 % off if you switched over from another courier. She called a manager over, who read the flyer, made a copy of my flyer, and said the same thing but said they had to "honor" the 50% off since it must have been a printing error.

I purchased my new Samsung 7 that day and was told that I would received a credit on my account within a couple of months. Today, 4 months later, I went in to see why I have never seen this credit. I spoke with a different manager who told me that there was no way that they would have honored that flyer (otherwise, calling me a liar). The saleslady who sold me my phone was there with another customer. I told him I would wait and speak with her. After waiting 2 hours, and having the manager take her in the back and talk to her, she was ready to speak with me. She would not even look me in the eye and proceeded to say that she didn't remember any of conversation with the manager from the previous visit and that she couldn't do anything about my $350 loss.

I feel like I have been lied to and cheated. I told both the sales associate and the manager that I would switch over to Verizon if they didn't follow through with what they had previously told me. They did not seem to care and didn't offer any way of making this right. I would never have purchased the phone if I had known that I wouldn't be getting the $350 credit. After being a customer for around 20 years, I feel like I should have been treated better than this. Goodbye US Cellular... Verizon here I come!

I have been a customer of theirs for quite a while and my experience with their customer service has always been the best. I wanted to purchase an iPad for facetime with my granddaughter in California and went up to the store in Orange City Ia (Cellular Authorized Agent - Digital Plus). We went over the plans and decided to cut back my data and add an ipad to my service, set up in the form of payments. I was going to buy the ipad outright but it seemed after talking to them it was a better idea to just pay it over time. I asked the clerk three times what the bill would be costing me a month. I said I needed to know as I wanted to make sure I didn’t go up a lot in my payments per month.

Well 30 days later I received my bill and it was at least $50.00 more than I was told. I immediately drove up to the store and they said they couldn’t help me at the time. They said the other amount was taxes and I reminded them I had asked for the complete bill. I wanted to return the ipad but they said I was over the 14 day return. (Well add this up I wouldn’t have known what they were charging me before 30 days but their policy is 14 days. Seems kind of stupid to me.) I then went home and called US Cellular directly and spoke to a lady that said she would set up a discount for me and brought my bill down. She at no time said this was a discount for one year and so this is the second time this company has lied to me.

I then just received an email stating my 20% discount would be up and my bill would be going up to the large original amount. I was not happy and called US Cellular and spoke to a nice representative that said she needed to pass me on to her supervisor. His name was Rudy and he had an attitude immediately and I knew I was not going to get anywhere with him. I brought these taxes up and said why they didn’t tell me what they would be. He said there is no way they know that amount but that is not true as my landline phone company could give me the total amount when I raised my internet speed right on the spot.

I feel they have lied and are the most deceptive company I have had contact with. I asked Rudy to speak with someone above him and he said there was no one there. He said they would contact me within 24-48 hours and that time has gone. I feel at this time I have to let anybody that is considering this company to run because they could care less about their customers and it’s upsetting to me. I have been doing retail and customer service for 40 years and a good company does not treat you this way.

I was on a trip to attend the funeral of a relative. The day of the funeral I tried to use my phone and received a message that there was no service at this time. This continued through the day and for the three days that followed until I got home and contacted US Cellular. I was informed that my service had been cut off because the last payment they received only had the $170+ for the regular phone bill and did not include the $15 charge for the data overage the previous month. During this trip the people we were in a relatively remote area where medical services are also remote. With me, I had one person who has a serious heart problem and two people who had previously suffered strokes. (One of these is partially paralyzed and needs a lot of assistance.)

When I contacted US Cellular I told them this was a error on my part, but I thought they would have contacted me via voice or text prior to cutting off my service. They stated that it was not their policy to do this. I talked to several of their representatives concerning this and was given the same answer every time. I thought each of the representatives was very rude. I told them I would have the additional $15 paid in 4 days so they agreed to turn my service back on, but made sure to threaten me stating that if it wasn't paid my service would be cut off again. I even sent a letter (return receipt requested) to several of the top managers of this company. Each response was that it was not their policy to warn people prior to discontinuing their service. I informed them that come the end of my contract I would be selecting another carrier. They didn't seem to care.

When I first started doing business with US Cellular I had an unlimited contract. The lady working there told me never get rid of that contract, it was no longer available. When my phone went bad like they all seem to do after a couple of years, I was told that I had to change my contact. I argued for a little bit telling what I was told not to get rid of my contact. The representative kept up "sir you cannot keep your contract." Lie, I now know people who held their ground & still have unlimited service. I was told that if they left unlimited it would pull down the system with everyone having that.

Legalized theft, robbed me of what I had, $150 + a month 7g doesn't last very long. Have to sit and not use it so it doesn't shut down, or go somewhere for Wi-Fi, getting real close to just going back to a regular phone. US Cellular needs a competitor to knock 'em in the ass & come up with an unlimited plan and watch 'em squirm to get back people's business. Want to watch YouTube, it doesn't take long to eat up your plan.

Maybe it's time to just get rid of the damn thing. Didn't have one years ago & got along just fine. Granted it is nice if you want to look up laws or any information on the internet, or do shopping etc. $1,800 a year adds up, can't imagine a multi-phone package for a family sure could use that money for some nice things. Give me back my unlimited contract, LIARS never give in to their trained staff! DO not send me junk messaging just because you have my information. It's not your right.

Bought a new lg4g phone and within 2 weeks the phone would not pick up service 3 miles away from the place I bought it from and the internet would not work. So I took it back and paid 35 dollars to be sent another. They sent me a refurbished phone and still charged me the same amount as a new one. I was charged for roaming 3 counties from my home. Don't go to these guys. It's a scam all the way around.

I made changes to my account in August after selling my business, such as removing a couple phones from the account, address changes, etc. Then I talked to someone about purchasing a new phone and asked with this new phone plus my husband's old phone how much my monthly bill would come to. I was told it would be about $41 for my phone (that would be, I believe, $25 for the service plus $16 for the monthly payment on the phone) plus $20 for my husband's service. I said, "In other words, about $61 plus taxes," which the representative confirmed. That sounded perfectly reasonable to me, so I signed up for the new phone.

The first bill I got from them included discontinue of service fees for the phones I took off the account, so it was high. I expected that. So this month, I got my first typical bill and it was $98. Well, $98 is a far cry from something under $70, so I called. This is what I was told: "The representative was right. It's about $61 for the two phones, plus $30 for the data." "Wait a minute," I said, "I told her I wanted to know what my TOTAL monthly bill would come to. Is this not clear that I want to know ALL the charges?" Her response was, "Well, she didn't technically lie to you."

I asked what it would take to move my service, and she said I only needed to pay off my phone, and there would be a $75 early-out on my husband's contract. (Mine is on a month-to-month contract.) So I checked with Consumer Cellular and found I can save about $45/month with them, but they informed me I would need to get the lockout code from U.S. Cellular for them to transfer my phone to their service. I called U.S. Cellular back and they informed me that my Samsung phone is not usable with any other service. I am stuck with their service unless I'm willing to toss out a phone I just got and owe over $400 on.

So, the conclusion is that they have ripped me off every way from Sunday! First, they duped me into using their service by lying to me about how much it costs. They sold me a phone without informing me that this phone cannot be used with any other service. I am semi-retired and on a fixed income, and I made room in my budget for the $65-$70/month, not for nearly $100/month. I suspect there is nothing I can do about this, but I think the FCC needs to be aware of U.S. Cellular's devious business practices, and I have filed a formal complaint. And I will tell everyone I see to RUN form U.S. Cellular!

I have been a customer with US Cellular for over 2 years. I went in and got 2 additional lines and a tablet line. At that time the experience was great. Additonal lines were approximately $30 per month. Recently my son lost his phone that he has had forever and was eligible for upgrade. I went in to get his new phone and was told my bill should be from $10 to $15 more. Got phone an iPhone6s, it was turned on, everything was great, I walked out.

I got my bill and mine was $75 dollars more than normal. I called customer service and was told it was an activation fee of $25 that they would wave. But I said that still leaves a $50 increase. I also had to increase Data to avoid overage fees and was told that would be $10 more. There was fees in doing that. I said I just want to return the phone and cut off the one line. They said "well now you're out of the 15 day period." I was like "What 15 day period???" I was again not told I had 15 days to return the phone... just 7 days outside that window and I didn't know about how much the bill was gonna be, because I was misinformed. I was told I signed a contract when I bought his phone, in which I want to seek my signature because I did not sign anything!!!! No help and no comprimise!! Piss poor customer service... hopefully soon I will not have to be a US CELLULAR CUSTOMER ANY LONGER!!

I was told by US Cellular reps that I could transfer from Verizon to US Cellular and they would cover my early termination costs up to $350 per line. I called them today, one week after getting my new phones. The rep I talked to said I couldn't get the gift card because I hadn't turned in my old phones, I didn't port my old numbers and I didn't buy insurance for $16/month.

I hadn't turned my old phones in because I was waiting for my new ones to arrive and then making sure everything was set up and working before the jump. I didn't port my old numbers because we were coming from an area US Cellular didn't have coverage in, so we couldn't use our old numbers. And I didn't buy insurance because I don't need it. No one told us any of these things. They just sent us to a website and told us we had to turn in our old phones, which is understandable. But now, today, 31 days after we ordered the phones (and 8 days after we actually got them), we are told it is too late to apply for the coverage of our switching costs. Not happy at all.

My husband and I purchased a phone September 23rd and returned it September 26th due to not getting service hardly anywhere in town much less at our home. Well I expected to get my money the same day which I was due almost $200 dollars. They said "no, we mail you a check and it should take no longer than a week." Well it's been almost 3 and they will not give me any answers. Not counting I received a bill from them for $111. For three days of service!!! Really??? I am a very very dissatisfied customer. I called customer service repeatedly and also exchanged emails. The "workers" in the store are very rude and unhelpful as well as the customer service hotline. This store is located in Shallotte, Nc. Please save yourself the hassle and go AT&T where they treated their customers with dignity and respect. Which is what I should of done in the first place. Now I'm out $200 and no idea when I'm getting it back.

My Grandmother ordered me a New 64gb Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and a 2 year contract plan through US Cellular Website because I had to move out to help her on her farm and my current service provider doesn't work here or in the surrounding area. Their web-ordering procedures seemed pretty secure, which lulled us into a false sense of security. We went through a very detailed credit check and card-authorization. After being approved and the order being processed we received an order number and receipt. We ordered the phone on October 3rd. October 4th, the credit card company fraud department called, which raised a pretty serious red flag to us. Why would they call if this had been such a secure credit check, even asking personal questions to confirm cardholder identity... Sketchy at BEST.

We got that ironed out and the payment went through, no issues on the card company's end. As of today, October 12th, we STILL have not received a tracking number or shipping confirmation for the device. We have emailed them twice, obviously concerned about being charged without any evidence of what we paid for being sent or even processed. Each time we email them, we are given a pretty impersonal answer that boils down to: "Wait 24 Hours, and if you haven't been emailed a tracking number, please contact us at (800 number here)..." We called them, and after over 2 hours on the phone, we were TOLD (pretty much verbatim) that exact same thing they emailed to us. We waited 3 more days with no information, and yesterday, after emailing them, they responded with the SAME "Wait 24 hours, blah, blah, blah..."

I ordered a Note 5 protective case through Newegg.Com on the same day, using the same credit card, and it's been sitting on my bookshelf for 3 days, waiting to be used on a phone that I have zero evidence I will even receive. From October 3rd to October 12th, we still have zero resolution after two phone calls and two emails. There is still no UPS tracking information or any notification that the phone has been (or will be) sent. I also went back to their website to research the specifications of the device. Since my order was placed, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (neither 64 or 32gb version) is no longer even listed on their website as an available device. Coincidence? The world may never know. This company is TRASH, and if you have ANY other options (which I sadly don't), do NOT do business with them.

I was a long time customer of US Cellular (over 16 years) with very few complaints. I recently switched to Verizon due to the enhanced data network which will assist me when traveling. Once my account was cancelled, I called a week later to confirm that my account was indeed cancelled and to confirm if there would be a final bill or refund. I was informed that my account was in fact closed and I had a bill of $81.34. Thing is that I normally paid about $68 as this was my original plan as well as my corporate discount. US Cellular discounted my discount about a year ago, but their store rep in my area agreed to continue it. Now, after cancelling my account the system magically removes my discount and I am charged more. It might only be a matter of $13 but the fact that I'm essentially penalized for cancelling my coverage from a carrier that offers substandard service.

I lost my Moto G phone back in May 2016. I went to the US Cellular store and bought a new Moto G for 200$. The agent gave me 2 papers to sign. The first paper was my receipt for the phone. The second one was for a new 2 year contract. Nothing was ever said about a contract renewal, and I would never renew with 6 months left on my old contract. I asked her, the agent, "Is this a contract renewal you just slipped me"? She said yes. I asked her why she didn't ask me about contract renewal and she started talking in her US Cellular shop talk language that I now believe is dualistic and manipulative. Never in my life have I experienced that level of dishonesty and deceit from a business. At first I was very angry but now I'm just hollowed out and deeply disappointed that this industry is just dishonest by nature.

Verizon is probably just as dishonest. Bottom line, the plans offered by these Cellular companies are manipulative. A square deal is not to be found. On a deeper level, I believe the practices of these companies reflect the corrupt nature of our society as a whole. The lying, parsing of words, manipulation, dualism, etc. It really is sad.

I have been a U.S. Cellular customer for about 9 years. I never really pay attention to my bill but when I checked my August statement I noticed a $19.90 roaming charge for use in Canada. My friend, who came with me on the trip, has Verizon. His charge, with unlimited use, for the same time period was $8.00. My charge, with U.S. Cellular was $3.00 per day plus $0.99 per minute. Not even comparable. I spoke to a representative who offered me a plan at $35.00 per month at $0.80 per minute. Guess who will be visiting a Verizon store this week?

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.
  • Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.
  • Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.
  • Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.
  • Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.
  • Best for U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones