U.S. Cellular

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My family and I took a trip hiking in the Smokey Mountains out of Gatlinburg, TN for a number of days. We used our phones often. When I got home, I called US Cellular customer service to see if I went over my data package, I was told "no". Then the customer service representative said, "Let me look at your plan to see if I can make it better", she then said "I can add 6 GB of data and save you money monthly." I asked, would this change any of my accrued credits on my account (connectivity credits accrued over 10+ years of service with US Cellular) and she said "no it won't change anything but the data".

The first month was pro-rated so I didn't see the actual effect of her changing my plan but when I was billed the first whole month on the new plan, I had lost $30 of connectivity credits ($10 per phone on 3 phones). I called them and they said "there's nothing more we can do except give you a 30% discount for 1 year". They basically reimbursed me what I lost for one year. I lost $360 per year in connectivity savings per year because I trusted the customer service representative to actually know what she was doing. After this year, I'm changing companies.

I use my phone for work. I told the sales girl that I needed unlimited as I travel around the state for work, and that the service was all over the state. Service around the state is roaming and you only get 500 mbytes that's not unlimited... This reminds me when companies hide your time just to get you to overpay, worse damn company ever. It goes roaming as soon as I leave town and won't get back to network until home, garbage.

I have been with U.S. Cellular for over two years now. I had been cheated since day one. When I switched my services from Verizon to U.S. Cellular, they promised to pay off my contract from Verizon. But they never did. I contacted them and they told me that I should have bought some kind of services for the phones in order to qualify for it. I swear the sale representative never mentioned anything about it. It take us almost a whole year to get this resolved.

The second problem was that my services was being cut off. Again the sale rep never mentioned anything about paying your bill on time or else they will charge $25 per line for reconnect. This is ridiculous!!! This year of 2017, I have been contacting them every month since March until today. I just had enough of this ridiculous game. For future consumers, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN ANY CONTRACT WITH U.S. CELLULAR. They are nothing but liars!!! SO FRUSTRATED WITH THEM!!!

I have had nothing but problems with this company for about a year now. It has been a nightmare but this latest blunder was pure stupidity. U.S. Cellular had a promo going where they would give you an S8 if you turned in your S6 or S7. I went into my local U.S. Cellular and was told that yes they could do that and it would be no problem, but I wanted an S8+ which, they just happened to be out of but they would be getting more in.

I informed them that I had to leave that day and would not be back from my out of state work until the 5th of May to which I was told that would not be a problem and I could just stop in when I get back which I did, only to be informed that the promo was over and now they would have to handle it as a regular upgrade with monthly payments, activation fee, etc. The thing is I had my heart set on that S8+ and why was I told that I should just drop in when I got back in town when obviously the promo was ending on the 30th of April. U.S. Cellular customer service is the worst and although I will rate 1 star, I would much rather be rating 1/2 a star because that's all they deserve.

I have been with US Cell for 2 years and had never gone over in my data. The month that my contract was up, I went over in data and was shocked with my bill. I should have known better than to use their cell service to begin with. Prior to signing this contract 2 years ago, my experience with them... I had to call them EVERY month because they could not keep the monthly service rate correct. I should not have had to babysit a cell provider like that! I literally had to call monthly and they had to adjust the bill each and every month. I switched providers tonight and will NOT go back to US Celluar. Two strikes and you are out!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Been with the US Cellular 35 days. I am on the $60.00 unlimited plan. I been charged $134.?? now and fighting... The unlimited does not mean UNLIMITED. AFTER 22 GIGS THROTTLED. WHAT THAT MEANS = PAGE OPENED 1/16 OF 100% OR NO SERVICE AT ALL. DONT FALL FOR THIS!!! Any new or old customer waits min. of 35+ minutes in line to talk with CSR. CSR are busting their **... MY EXPERIENCE on a Friday night around 4:30P only two CSRs in Muskogee, OK on Shawnee. 6 customers walk out!!!

NOW EVERY TIME I HAVE BEEN IN THE STORE SEVERAL PEOPLE GET TIRED OF WAITING AND WALK very mad. What is wrong with you guys. People dying to give you money for your services and you can't provide them. Just hire people for the flow! Tons of people looking for jobs. In return you get customers. Who's making business decisions for the company? THE CEO's 8 year old CHILD? Get a clue U.S. Cellular! AT&T had lost so many customers and totally lacks at customer service. People are leaving and they are dropping in your lap. DUHHHHH.

Have a signed contract with this company. Been with them over a year. Review was done on my account. They cheat me out of part of my employee discount which was agreed on when I signed up in contract. Customer service jerk tells me "if we don't raise rates how do you expect us to stay afloat." These were his exact words. I was suckered into a contract with a tablet and the rep told me "we will increase your employee discount by 5 percent if you accept the tablet". So I do. Now they review my account and say "we cannot give you this discount".

Now this last month of course my taxes go up monthly. More money less customer service. You guys are crooks and breach contracts. You should be run out of business and I am turning you in to Better Business Bureau. This is all out deception. I pay my bill on time every month. You breach contract more than once. Very dishonest crooks. No customer retention. All you care about is what's good for US Cellular. Well guess what. Can you hear me. Now I am fed up with you. And your cheating customers and the BBB will love I am sure my complaint. At least they will listen unlike your crappy customer service department.

US Cellular phone which is on auto pay thru bank did not work one day and was puzzled. Four calls later and with elevated blood pressure learned that they did not process my charge thru bank since my credit card was outdated. I asked why that made a difference and just told that is policy. That credit card I have not used for about 10 years and did not realize it was even listed on the account and since it was coming out of my bank account why does it make a difference??? For goodness sake. Do NOT get a prepaid card from them and by the way had lots of trouble understanding the foreign born personnel I talked to. Canceled prepaid phone.

Since I started with this company 8 months ago I have had nothing but problems. Started out with 3 months to even get them to look into why my service was dropping in the middle of multiple towers. 2 months later had to reset network due to being on Canadian network when in southern Maine. I have yet to receive an accurate bill and multiple times have had account suspended couple hours after due date expired including 3 times while I was paying the bill.

The customer service is horrible and always getting different story depending on who you talk to and bill for everything. Their bill reducer app was using 11-12 gigs of data and month which you get charged for and they push for automatic payments offering $10 discount but can never tell you what your bill will be. Worst cell phone company I have ever dealt with. Smoke signals are preferable to dealing with this company. If no improvement in service am leaving contract for breach of contract and fraud. Rude, incompetent, and thieves.

I purchased two pair of Beats headphones for my son for Christmas from US Cellular. Today he informed me that the sound just stopped so I said "well it's only been 3 months. They should be under warranty." I contacted Beats and they informed me that they would NOT uphold their 1 year warranty because we did not buy them from a Beats Retailer. They suggested I contact the retailer. I called US Cellular and they said they only offer a 15 day warranty on ALL accessories which they never bothered to tell us about and they made no effort to help remedy the situation.

I have never written a review for any company but I thought people should know that if you spend hundreds of dollars on accessories at US Cellular be prepared to take a loss if your product stops working on day 16 or beyond. I will never purchase anything else from US Cellular or Beats and just as soon as my contract is up at the end of the summer I will be switching carriers. Seriously what happened to companies doing the right thing by their customers?

I have been with US Cellular for over 10 years and the last few months have been nothing but problems. I had a Galaxy S5 and had it replaced. Within 3-4 months I had a charge port issue. I was offered either to get another replacement or upgrade. I went ahead and upgraded even though I did not want to. The agent in the store advised I will get a visa gift card for 100.00 I could use anywhere. The agent gave me misleading info and the card is only good in US Cellular stores. I paid my bill and asked for them to refund money so I could use promo card. The money was refunded and shows pending in my account. I have to wait up to 14 days to get money back. I extended my bill out longer to make sure the funds come in.

I'm glad all the associates I spoke with were able to feed their families and had food in their cabinets. While my family has literally nothing. Your customer service empathy sucks. You don't understand what I'm going through. How will I get gas, groceries, and pay other bills? Oh guess I'll have to wait the 14 days to get my money. I'm switching because you don't play with my money and make me wait to feed my household while all your employees get to eat. Total negligence and did not really have a solution to give documentation to my bank so they could return fund. Advised financial services does not do that. This is how you treat a 10+ year customer. Good job US Cellular!!!

I'm writing for my mother-in-law. She paid week ago. She only owed 75 dollars and her phone was shut off owing only 75 dollars that she was going to pay on the 1st. My mother-in-law is blind. She needs her phone on and they shut it off without any notice. Shame on U.S. Cellular... Better Business Bureau will get a report. People don't get U.S. Cellular you'll regret it... Will be filing complaint. You ** shut off a blind lady's phone.

We have had US Cellular for probably 10-12 years & the biggest problem we have is little to no service at home, in city of 80,000. This is a huge college town & I can get 1 tower in my home. I have called & called talking to many customer service personnel & when they check into the problem they come back with the same response. Oh Yes! We know that is an area with problems but they will tell us flat out that have no plans to make changes in this area! In trying to tell them about the issues I have the call dropped 4-5 times is nothing new. So the advertisement that has the "you can get service Way.. Way out here!" Is so ridiculous. I want to change services, but problem is this is the provider my husband's employer provides discounts. So we are stuck!! Now once I drive 4-5 blocks out of our neighborhood way, way out there we have all kinds of service. Poor Service!!

US Cellular Rocky Mount, NC lied about contract end date. Management is unprofessional and don't take responsibility for their employees. Their monthly fees are not competitively priced. With so many other phone carriers options I highly suggest avoiding US Cellular.

How can you have a service for two actual months and pay twice what they said it would be and then get a bill for $300 something. You try to talk to them and they say that's for your data that had a cap on other I might add... then have no service for the third month and I owe them over $400. Crooks.

I live in central Maine, so when it comes to cell reception, US Cellular has it all over all other providers. HOWEVER, in September 2016 someone in Maryland managed to buy almost $3,000 of equipment (iPhones, iPads, etc.) at a Maryland US Cellular store and put it on a payment plan on my account. I immediately contacted the US Cellular fraud department and they "took care of it".

Fast forward to Feb. 2017, and my monthly bill STILL is wrong as it has been for every month since September 2016. There are constant (and varying) equipment charges, errors in service billing, and device protection charges - all of which came from this fraud. The local US Cell store has refused to let me open a new account (without ANY fees), but my monthly bill is still a mess. They cannot seem to clean this mess off my account. I think they are incompetent!! If there were any other company that had reception here, I would change! BEWARE US CELLULAR!!!

I have been dealing with US Cellular for almost a year now and have had problems since day 1. We switched from Verizon because the salesman ensured us we could Keep the same coverage for less money than we had with Verizon so we spent about 2.5 hours in the store switching over services. The first bill came in and it was about the same as it was with Verizon with half the coverage as we had before. As the months went on we kept seeing unusually high data usage but keep in mind we kept our Verizon phones.

After the first couple months of complaining they ended up giving us 5 more gigs a month to help offset the overages we were being charged. None of our data usage has increased since we moved from Verizon nor has our phones. So we continued with the spotty service US Cellular was giving us and I ended up calling and complaining about it every other month and was told each time I'm not having a problem and to continue on.

Well now tonight we are almost a year into service and I have had enough. Service is going downhill and nobody wants to do anything about it. When I asked about leaving and if I would be charged a cancellation fee I was having to argue with the customer service agent for over a hour just to get transferred to the department that could tell me how much I would have to pay. Stay away from this company. They are nothing but liars and just want you to keep paying your bill but not help with concerns you have. I am leaving Us Cellular and going to find another carrier ASAP.

I have found this provider to have above average coverage in areas that are known to be weak. Excellent coverage on a regular basis. Their customer service is also very good and choice of phones is excellent. All in all a classy company.

Paid my bill and phone off in October in November my bill should of been $45 and I paid 20.00 of it which left 25.00 and I get a bill for $112.00. I have had nothing but outrageous bills about every other month never got my deposits back after phone's paid off! Stay away from this rip off company!

Switched from Verizon because US Cellular would pay fees... not! You get debit cards some of which are good at their stores only. Takes forever to get cards. By the time I got them Verizon took me to collections dropping my credit score 50 points. Bad reception in Minneapolis for my son. Forget to pay bill they will cut you off no notice. Also when switching over which took two hours in store at the end you get a $25 per line activation charge. Horrible. Awful. Don't switch. The ads should be classified as false advertising.

Although I have been with them for 2 years my prices have gone up and up. Every plan I have tried no matter what either my data is not enough or something else.

They have rewarded my loyalty many times, and never gave me even the tiniest reason to switch. US Cellular has been very good to me and deserve my loyalty after 15 years. I know family members who had many other providers and felt they had to switch every year or so, because they were not satisfied. US Cellular has great service, plans, and phones. Their website is easy to navigate, and to make payments on.

I went in to US Cellular in Wytheville VA a few times and the workers in there are so rude. Especially the fat girl and one of the guys that works in there. They need to teach them how to greet their customers. Also I noticed that if you're making a big purchase they are nicer. If you're having problems out of a phone they don't want to help you. Very rude. I think they need to clean house and get friendlier worker. I guess I will have to drive farther and go to Hillsville US Cellular where they are friendlier and they don't act like you are a bother. The 2 workers I had to deal with was talking to each other while trying to wait on me about something being so funny and they couldn't quit laughing. They didn't act to professional.

Customer Service is excellent by phone or by person. Overall it's ok. Wish the tower would put out more juice. Gives us at least 1 to 2 bars depending where you live I guess. Live in a Rural area.

They have met all my expectations. Customer service has answered all my questions and been readily available. Connectivity has never faltered. Very pleased. My last cell phone from consumer cellular was a disappointing experience. Being in a more rural area I was expecting some problems, but since I've switched to US Cellular there haven't been any. All is well with this company.

First of all let me say I have been a US Cellular for 20 years. In August I received a flyer through the mail advertising for 50% off a new Smartphone. I went into the US Cellular Store on Patton Ave in Asheville, NC and showed them my flyer and was there to take advantage of the offer. The sales associate was not familiar with the flyer and said that there was a misprint on my flyer and it should have said that it was 50 % off if you switched over from another courier. She called a manager over, who read the flyer, made a copy of my flyer, and said the same thing but said they had to "honor" the 50% off since it must have been a printing error.

I purchased my new Samsung 7 that day and was told that I would received a credit on my account within a couple of months. Today, 4 months later, I went in to see why I have never seen this credit. I spoke with a different manager who told me that there was no way that they would have honored that flyer (otherwise, calling me a liar). The saleslady who sold me my phone was there with another customer. I told him I would wait and speak with her. After waiting 2 hours, and having the manager take her in the back and talk to her, she was ready to speak with me. She would not even look me in the eye and proceeded to say that she didn't remember any of conversation with the manager from the previous visit and that she couldn't do anything about my $350 loss.

I feel like I have been lied to and cheated. I told both the sales associate and the manager that I would switch over to Verizon if they didn't follow through with what they had previously told me. They did not seem to care and didn't offer any way of making this right. I would never have purchased the phone if I had known that I wouldn't be getting the $350 credit. After being a customer for around 20 years, I feel like I should have been treated better than this. Goodbye US Cellular... Verizon here I come!

I have been a customer of theirs for quite a while and my experience with their customer service has always been the best. I wanted to purchase an iPad for facetime with my granddaughter in California and went up to the store in Orange City Ia (Cellular Authorized Agent - Digital Plus). We went over the plans and decided to cut back my data and add an ipad to my service, set up in the form of payments. I was going to buy the ipad outright but it seemed after talking to them it was a better idea to just pay it over time. I asked the clerk three times what the bill would be costing me a month. I said I needed to know as I wanted to make sure I didn’t go up a lot in my payments per month.

Well 30 days later I received my bill and it was at least $50.00 more than I was told. I immediately drove up to the store and they said they couldn’t help me at the time. They said the other amount was taxes and I reminded them I had asked for the complete bill. I wanted to return the ipad but they said I was over the 14 day return. (Well add this up I wouldn’t have known what they were charging me before 30 days but their policy is 14 days. Seems kind of stupid to me.) I then went home and called US Cellular directly and spoke to a lady that said she would set up a discount for me and brought my bill down. She at no time said this was a discount for one year and so this is the second time this company has lied to me.

I then just received an email stating my 20% discount would be up and my bill would be going up to the large original amount. I was not happy and called US Cellular and spoke to a nice representative that said she needed to pass me on to her supervisor. His name was Rudy and he had an attitude immediately and I knew I was not going to get anywhere with him. I brought these taxes up and said why they didn’t tell me what they would be. He said there is no way they know that amount but that is not true as my landline phone company could give me the total amount when I raised my internet speed right on the spot.

I feel they have lied and are the most deceptive company I have had contact with. I asked Rudy to speak with someone above him and he said there was no one there. He said they would contact me within 24-48 hours and that time has gone. I feel at this time I have to let anybody that is considering this company to run because they could care less about their customers and it’s upsetting to me. I have been doing retail and customer service for 40 years and a good company does not treat you this way.

I was on a trip to attend the funeral of a relative. The day of the funeral I tried to use my phone and received a message that there was no service at this time. This continued through the day and for the three days that followed until I got home and contacted US Cellular. I was informed that my service had been cut off because the last payment they received only had the $170+ for the regular phone bill and did not include the $15 charge for the data overage the previous month. During this trip the people we were in a relatively remote area where medical services are also remote. With me, I had one person who has a serious heart problem and two people who had previously suffered strokes. (One of these is partially paralyzed and needs a lot of assistance.)

When I contacted US Cellular I told them this was a error on my part, but I thought they would have contacted me via voice or text prior to cutting off my service. They stated that it was not their policy to do this. I talked to several of their representatives concerning this and was given the same answer every time. I thought each of the representatives was very rude. I told them I would have the additional $15 paid in 4 days so they agreed to turn my service back on, but made sure to threaten me stating that if it wasn't paid my service would be cut off again. I even sent a letter (return receipt requested) to several of the top managers of this company. Each response was that it was not their policy to warn people prior to discontinuing their service. I informed them that come the end of my contract I would be selecting another carrier. They didn't seem to care.

When I first started doing business with US Cellular I had an unlimited contract. The lady working there told me never get rid of that contract, it was no longer available. When my phone went bad like they all seem to do after a couple of years, I was told that I had to change my contact. I argued for a little bit telling what I was told not to get rid of my contact. The representative kept up "sir you cannot keep your contract." Lie, I now know people who held their ground & still have unlimited service. I was told that if they left unlimited it would pull down the system with everyone having that.

Legalized theft, robbed me of what I had, $150 + a month 7g doesn't last very long. Have to sit and not use it so it doesn't shut down, or go somewhere for Wi-Fi, getting real close to just going back to a regular phone. US Cellular needs a competitor to knock 'em in the ass & come up with an unlimited plan and watch 'em squirm to get back people's business. Want to watch YouTube, it doesn't take long to eat up your plan.

Maybe it's time to just get rid of the damn thing. Didn't have one years ago & got along just fine. Granted it is nice if you want to look up laws or any information on the internet, or do shopping etc. $1,800 a year adds up, can't imagine a multi-phone package for a family sure could use that money for some nice things. Give me back my unlimited contract, LIARS never give in to their trained staff! DO not send me junk messaging just because you have my information. It's not your right.

Bought a new lg4g phone and within 2 weeks the phone would not pick up service 3 miles away from the place I bought it from and the internet would not work. So I took it back and paid 35 dollars to be sent another. They sent me a refurbished phone and still charged me the same amount as a new one. I was charged for roaming 3 counties from my home. Don't go to these guys. It's a scam all the way around.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.
  • Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.
  • Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.
  • Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.
  • Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.
  • Best for U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones