1.23/5

U.S. Cellular Reviews

686 U.S. Cellular Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 25, 2019

I had been with US Cellular for 19 long years. With a single plan I was paying over $65/month so I looked into ** and decided to make the change (now paying HALF of USC cost), doing so about 3 days prior to the end of the billing period I had already paid for. NOW I GET A "FINAL BILL" FOR OVER $62. When I called they said, "We bill and you pay a month BEHIND." I said NO ONE does that with cell service. Later I scoured my user agreement and it said I'm billed a MONTH in ADVANCE. These folks are crooks, avoid them at all costs!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I must say, they sold me very quickly with all these "benefits", "feature" and "promises" of amazing quality, I just couldn't believe it! And I shouldn't of. Unfortunately, they were real promises made behind fake obstacles. A small fee here, a fee there, now the plan price, no biggie.. Turns out I'm paying over twice as much for the plan than the phone itself. Suddenly I don't want to pay for someone else's free full course meal, EVERY DAY. Now I feel like a fool, stuck in a contract, so I can't switch my phone to another carrier and I understand that. But wait... there's more.

Apparently, I also do not own the number that I am SEPARATELY paying for, who knew it also had a balance that needed to be filled before owning it. That's right, I can't switch my phone because it's locked but I also can't have the phone number that I've been paying ownership of. I can't tell which one is worse now, ATT or this.. thing of a company. Customer service can't help you since they're more than likely minimum paid Jacks and Jills who are told to "just deal with it" whenever they answer a call.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I live in the mountains of NC and internet speed is an issue here. I was told by my neighbor about a high-speed internet they had got from US Cellular. I was told that, if I signed up and referred them, we would both get a $50.00 rebate (which we never received). I went down to the local US Cellular store and told them I have a digital marketing business and that I need a reliable high-speed internet connection. They told me they had an "unlimited data" plan that would give me reliable high-speed service where I live. I found out after the first few weeks that their "unlimited" plan was only high-speed up to 160GB of data. After that, it goes down to a 2G signal which is basically useless. I have talked to many people at US Cellular and they turn a deaf ear to my complaints that they falsely advertised this plan as "unlimited data."

Original review: May 23, 2019

It was the best experience I had when opening my contract. Then my first bill came and they said it would be larger than Normal so I was fine with that knowing the new activation charges and all could do that. Then I got my first bill on the 10th of 114.62 for 1 line. I paid it just thinking normal fees and all. Then 3 days later they charged me $30 fee from my bank on the 13th and then about 7 days later, charged another $30 fee on the 20th. Now they are saying my bill is overdue and was not paid which now is the 22nd. Now I’m sitting at $143.62 plus the 2 $30 fees from my bank. I called customer service and talk to 2 different people and then talked to senior sales associate named Jessica, tried to tell my me or my bank reversed the payment on 22nd when I already processed and paid my account balance of 114.62 on the 10th. I canceled out my service and will never step foot into another US Cellular again. Worst ever, I recommend Sprint before them.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I am so fed up with US Cellular. Company sucks in every phase of business. Website - terrible, customer service terrible, everything about this company sucks. I added a new phone line under a promotion of get a new phone. I asked if I had to get the device protection for three months to be eligible and was told no. I got the new phone, never say any credits and called customer service. GUESS what. I have to get device protection for three months and cancel the device protection to be eligible for the free phone. I called customer service = nothing they could do. I called local store - nothing they could do. So I paid $700 for new Samsung 9. When I upgrade son's phone to latest Apple in December - I got $200 gift card for doing so. After the fiscal with the "free" phone I paid off all outstanding balances for phones purchased. Now my $200 reward is not valid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: May 12, 2019

Coverage is horrible & they say that they have 15 excellence, you can return the phone & get your money back if you do not like it but they make it very hard & almost impossible to return the phone...do not waste your time....not worth it!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I’m certain switching to U.S. Cellular and taking advantage of their amazing deal on the iPhones is the best solution for our fam's cell needs. I appreciate Natasha ** knowledge, and friendly willingness to go over all of our options with patience and a smile to make sure we got the exact package that’s right for us, and fit our budget. Our experience has been excellent. I wish I could’ve given 4 1/2 stars instead of just 4, but I reserve the perfect scores for something like being the lucky twenty millionth customer and winning free lifetime service, or a free one week trip to Las Vegas for the wife and I????

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been a US Cellular customer since November 2016. I have never had a problem with the service, however they are no longer a service provider in Illinois- they don't have any towers there. We live on the border of Illinois and Wisconsin, my fiance works in Zion right across the border and gets very little if any signal. Dropped calls, inability to get online, slow data all occur in this area, as well as several areas in our local zone (including our home). We have been to the store several times to discuss the issues, have been advised to have tech support "troubleshoot" the signal towers by having someone else call them so the phones in question can be diagnosed. There is no solution for providing service where we need it and at the time we acquired new devices we were told we would not have an issue since they use other towers.

US Cellular has advised me that we still have to pay for the phones: remaining balance of almost $1400 to leave with no bill. When we bought the second phone there was a promo for $600 off the price of the phone which is also not being deducted because you have to keep the phone for 30 months to get that in full. This was not shared either. I asked for a copy of the contract and have been told it will take up to 2 weeks for them to get that. I asked for escalation to a department that might be able to come up with another solution and there isn't one apparently. I consider myself to be an educated and intelligent consumer, however we were lied to by the company about what they offer. I am sure we are not the only people that feel swindled by false representation of the product offered.

Original review: April 3, 2019

You should pay more, let me tell you why... My husband and I went to our local WalMart and signed up for US Cellular service. Shortly after signing up our phone was destroyed. Teenagers!!! We tried to go back to the WalMart in Ankeny to purchase a new phone and was told that the only phones that were compatible with our service contract were the REALLY expensive ones that I don't think many people could afford straight out of pocket and due to the fact that our plan was a plan through WalMart we could not obtain a phone on payments. The only choice we had was a "camping phone".

Apparently WalMart was no longer going to be doing that kind of service contract through US Cellular. We went to both of our local US Cellular stores and was just given the national number for customer service. Upon calling I got a very uncooperative man who advised me I could not shut off our service without paying a early termination fee (even though we had just paid our bill and had a $0.00 balance on our account). I tried to ask him if we could purchase a phone through them that we could use with our service contract or something. He advised me that no, I could not. They had NO phones that would be appropriate for our contract.

At this time I told him we would no longer be doing business with US Cellular, he advised me that they would not shut off service and would continue to charge us a monthly plan fee until me paid off the contract and early termination fee to get it to stop. Now, according to the last correspondence I received owe more than $200.00 for service we have NOT used due to not being able to purchase a new phone and to get them to stop we have to still pay the early termination fee. DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this ratchet company. I am considering contacting the Polk County Attorney. This has got to be illegal on some level.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Billing department can't put me on autopay. And the app does not work. What is the point of a billing department? They could click one button and enable autopay but they won't because that would cost them an extra penny to have customer service lift their hand to press that button. And now I have to pay them $10 a month more because I'm not on autopay. Class action lawsuit...? Sign me up.

Original review: March 8, 2019

They charged me double my bill over $1240.00 - They screwed me and said it was my problem. The service does not work very far. I'm a contractor so if I can't talk to my customers or my workers it makes us make more trips for supplies and lost customers. Customer service was rude and did everything but curse me out. Very unprofessional. So if you want to be treated like ** buy your phone from U.S. Cellular.

Original review: March 8, 2019

This phone deletes my photos and puts stickers in my gallery. The service is slow and disconnects a lot. I tried to log in. My password was right but I clicked forgot password twice. It never sent a code either time. I would rate their phones and service 0 stars. I would like them to fix their service. Plus you have to pay a day early. A BIG RIPOFF!!!

Original review: March 7, 2019

I'll be blunt and to the point. Whatever you do if you're at a USC store, you best get the contract in writing... Why? Because by the time you get your first bill, you're screwed. Then when you try to get the billing resolved, explaining everything you discussed and were promised at the store, they will blow you off. They even removed our corporate discounts and said they don't apply to our plan. We've been stuck paying a $165 a month bill for 2 phones and 1 GB of data each. We are 1.5 years into this nightmare and are about to pay off the phones and leave since we don't have a plan contract, just phones. Heed our advice!

Original review: March 6, 2019

During our recent big storm in Roseburg, Oregon my phone could not receive service for 10 days, yet they deducted a full payment from my account! It is ILLEGAL to charge for services not received! I am going to go to their office and speak in a VERY loud voice about this!

Original review: March 2, 2019

My husband and I have had U.S. Cellular for 20 years. EVERY TIME we change plans or get a new phone the billing is messed up. Funny how it's NEVER in our favor. They like to add an insurance protection plan even if you decline it. No wonder they are struggling to keep up with Verizon!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

For 2 years (since the beginning of my plan) I keep getting extra charges! When I try to reconcile it I get the runaround. Eventually they are adjusted and then start up again. Also BEWARE of the FREE PHONE SCAM! My phone was suppose to be free and then I started to get charged for it. When I called US Cellular once again the runaround, then the story, "Oh, it is free but..." So in the end it is not free. Got a phone that was suppose to have a hotspot then two months later software update erased it. Called again...same story. Runaround and then the, "Oh well if you leave before the contract is over you have a fee and then you need to pay extra money for ABC..." Terrible company. Buyer beware. Stay away from US Cellular!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I spent 10-plus years with U.S. Cellular with spotty service. Strange charges would show up on the my bill, and when I'd call, the representative admitted the charges were unneeded. Since the amount was usually minimal, I usually paid the entire bill. During that time I was never late with a payment. Then, late last year, I moved to Chicago. U.S. Cellular doesn't offer service in Illinois, so I switched over to Sprint on Friday, Jan. 25, 2019. Upon arriving home, I immediately contacted U.S. Cellular to cancel my contract. The lady on the phone was pleasant and prompt, and told me that all was taken care of as of Sunday, Jan. 27. The last 2 weeks of my service would be prorated. So I powered off my old Android and put it into storage.

Then I receive yet another bill for February service and after I contacted Customer Service, they said I had never canceled the contract. So I found my old Android and, sure enough, the old phone number was still operational. U.S. Cellular simply dropped the ball. It is a small amount (less than $100) we are speaking of here, but I am fed up with U.S. Cellular and am fighting the unfair charges for service that I had discontinued three weeks earlier. I will be filing a complaint with my state's Attorney General's Office to dispute the charges. Still, I likely will have to contact U.S. Cellular Customer Service yet again to close the account. A customer should not have to do this twice.

Thus ends more than a decade of erratic customer service with the company. I had simply stayed with U.S. Cellular because I was on a family plan. Whether or not I end up paying the charges for service I had discontinued nearly a month ago, I figure I end up ahead because I no longer have to deal with the inconsistent and shoddy service at U.S. Cellular. I highly recommend going with another carrier if you have the opportunity.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I've been a long time customer of US Cellular but due to their poor customer service I will be finding another carrier as soon as I get this phone paid off. EVERY time I've upgraded and/or changed plans I have months of billing errors and have to spend countless hours on the phone with rude incompetent so called customer service personnel who finally end up saying they've fixed the problem only to have the same issue resurface the following month. I even had one person, McKenzie, tell me that I needed to pay the charge because it was just a hick-up in their system and then it would go away!

US Cellular is great in their NEW custom service but blatantly abuse long term customers. They are totally focused on sales. I strongly recommend reviewing your bill MONTH and don't take their word for anything. I've been fighting this last battle since August of last year. AND IT STILL ISN'T RESOLVED despite being told every month that it has been. BOTTOM LINE, GO WITH ANOTHER CARRIER IF POSSIBLE.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have had US Cellular as a carrier before, but canceled them. Unfortunately, I live in Maine and have limited choices, with US Cellular having the best coverage. I find they continually make policies that do not make sense. In this case, I need to use my cell for business and would like call forwarding. Because I have a prepaid plan, they will not give it to me, even if I pay for it on a monthly basis. Just a flat out "no". I will be going out of the country to work. Instead of paying my monthly prepaid bill and something extra for call forwarding, they will lose my business for a month while I'm gone as I will not activate my phone for that month.

They also will not let me use a CDMA phone unless they have it on their list (read, a phone that they sell). They are not customer friendly and far too rigid for their own good. If I had any other choice in this area I'd use it in a second. Also, their prepaid customer service is in the Philippines and just getting their customer service to understand what I was talking about was laborious. Altogether, a continuously bad experience.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

US Cellular in Edenton, NC has the nastiest rudest employees I've ever seen. They hang up you. They treat customers like crap. They ignore customers when they enter the store. I've experienced this myself. Some needs to contact the customers that go to that location. I assure you would not believe how many of your customers that are/Have been mistreated at this location.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I switched to US Cellular under the promise of a great promotion. I would be using prepaid services since I own a perfectly good unlocked device, but the experience went downhill after the first few weeks. I got a confusing bill that seemed to be only for my first few days of service that was twenty five dollars more than what I had been told I would be paying monthly in person at a store. The representative I talked to had added up several discounts and told me I would be paying about 50 dollars a month but this seems to be a lie because corporate offices have no idea what this is and have not even listened to my problem.

They also seemed to have several different stories as to why I would have the charge that came before my first expected charge at the end of my billing cycle. Needless to say I will be switching providers as soon as I determine when I can end service without being charged an extra month. Their service is Okay though, however their prepaid plans are egregious. They only have a 2GB or an "unlimited" that slows to 2g speeds after 12 GB. I can get other plans that have 8GB of high speed data for less than 40 dollars a month.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I got my bill and it was much higher than it had been so I called to find out why. The guy went step by step through the charges and I discovered they are charging me $10.00 just so they can see what plan I have. REALLY?? I told him they can SEE what plan I have by the BASIC PLAN DESCRIPTION AND CHARGES that appear on my bill every month. I have $96.00 of hidden fees for basically NOTHING added to my bill every month. I argued but Of course, I got nowhere. So my thoughts would be BEWARE!! They will add charges after senseless charges to your bill after they have you 'hooked' with their special offers.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have not had any issues with coverage. When the storm came, I was the only one in my house that could get service... Everyone was using my phone... My husband is thinking about getting a phone and I told him can't go wrong with US Cellular. #Winning

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had phone service with U.S. Cellular for over a year. l had prepaid phone. When I went to cancel my order They took out a payment anyway for the next month knowing full well that my account was no longer with them. Now they're refusing to give my money back I would not advise anyone to deal with U.S. Cellular especially the prepaid. You're always roaming. I never have signal anywhere except for in town. All those wireless towers are bogus.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have been with US Cellular since 2000, I have purchased almost all of the new phones that they come out with. I have 4 lines on my account and have always paid on time. I have a situation with one of my lines who was used by my son's ex-girlfriend who stopped paying me a few months ago. Unfortunately, I am stuck paying 60.00 extra dollars for the next 23 months. After speaking with the solutions dept and giving me a great deal that I could not pass up, I decided to go to the US Cellular store today to make the changes to my account. Of course though, if it sounded too good to be true - it probably was. They changed the deal on me and quoted me another 150.00 on top of $200.00 that I already had to pay for the deal to go through and took away a monthly credit which was offered.

Needless to say, I walked out of the store extremely irritated and not getting the deal they offered. I contacted the corporate office as well and they wouldn't change the deal back either. This is how they treat customers that have been with them for 19 years. When I get the chance to change services, I will be doing so but I am sure it doesn't even put a dent in their pocket book. They do not care about their customers - they are liars!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Switched to US Cellular 9/1/18 only to obtain a BOGO on new devices. We had their coverage years ago and had no problems other than price for services at that time, this time I have had nothing but dropped calls when out “roaming “ as it’s referred to. Now when you are roaming you are on their partner network, that really isn’t a partnership. It simply means that they “the other network” has allowed you to use their towers. US Cellular states they can’t guarantee coverage when roaming but put on their coverage map, “Wherever you go, we’ve got you covered.” Well I go right outside of US Cellular network area and I’m roaming on their not so covered area. Very misleading!

Sprint is the partner tower and will only fix a problem if there is multiple complaints of this issue and US Cellular tells you that the other network is known to boot you off for the sake of their own customers, SERIOUSLY?! My suggestion for anyone considering US Cellular, only if you live, work, and play in their network area, by all means the coverage is good. If you travel or work outside of their network coverage, STAY AWAY! If you want out of their service because you don’t have coverage, well they recommend to pay your BOGO devices, in FULL or have another network buy you out of their coverage by buying the devices in FULL! Way to go US Cellular- put the lack of truth on your advertising and service on your customers and other providers!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

US Cellular scam people out of hundreds of dollars. They will randomly change due date for bill and overcharge you then disconnect service without any warning. Your billing cycle is the same but they will change the due date and you will have to pay your bill before your cycle is even up and to try to change your due date they will charge you extra for the month you have already paid. They will state its always been the same due date even though it hasn't. They are worthless and just steal money from people. Do not go through them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I was with U.S. Cellular for 11 years, and moved to Wyoming where they did not have service. Ended up canceling my service, but when I tried to do that they told me they could not do that until I paid off a phone, even though my account was not under contract. So I just stopped paying the bill to see if they would cancel it then, and they did. They also sent the account straight to collections asap. You would think that with being a long time loyal customer they would work with you or even just let you walk away after eleven years of service with them. The total is only 322.00.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

About 2 months ago I purchased 2 Galaxy Note phones off the internet with unlimited plan. I received one and other one was stopped in the middle of being transported and sent back to company b/c fraud department wanted to verify it was me before sending (problem 1). Then I called US Cellular to have phone that I did receive, to be turned on and acquire why I haven't received other phone.

I was told to go to my closest store (problem 2). Then the store said I could not activate phone there and couldn't find out why other phone wasn't received and to call back 1-800 number (problem 3). Then I call to 1-800 # to decline service and send back the phone I received and to get a refund. I was convinced we would get it all figured out and to go back to the store and customer service rep would call me when I got there to help. She never called (problem 4). Then I was told other phone didn't arrive because fraud department needed to verify me so they can send it out. That was done and everything ok'd.

Person at store was going to get me my phone but after putting out 2 payments of $54, wanted me to pay another $54 to give it to me that day. And the phone I did receive was in limbo and they would figure it out next day (problem 5). After breaking down in store, I called 1-800 number to cancel and return the other phone. I've talked to like 15 people and can't get a refund b/c it was going to happen but now it's been declined for some reason. Everyone says the company they need to get in touch with is closed and call back or husband needs this and this or they can't find me in the system. So fed up. I just want my refund and never deal with this company again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I switched to US Cellular due to a great promotion they were offering. After months of hour+ calls to customer service and being told not to worry, it takes a few months for the corrected promotion to kick in, I was told, "Oh! you were put in the wrong promotion and now it is too late to switch you into it!" I am paying almost double what I was at the last cell company, my service is mediocre at best and I am stuck in the deal with no way out other than to pay off $750 per phone plus early termination fees. I can't afford it, but also can't afford to get out of it! They lied to me and tricked me. Run as fast as you can from US Cellular!!!

U.S. Cellular expert review by ConsumerAffairs

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

• Best for: U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs