1.57/5

U.S. Cellular Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

670 U.S. Cellular Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I spent 10-plus years with U.S. Cellular with spotty service. Strange charges would show up on the my bill, and when I'd call, the representative admitted the charges were unneeded. Since the amount was usually minimal, I usually paid the entire bill. During that time I was never late with a payment. Then, late last year, I moved to Chicago. U.S. Cellular doesn't offer service in Illinois, so I switched over to Sprint on Friday, Jan. 25, 2019. Upon arriving home, I immediately contacted U.S. Cellular to cancel my contract. The lady on the phone was pleasant and prompt, and told me that all was taken care of as of Sunday, Jan. 27. The last 2 weeks of my service would be prorated. So I powered off my old Android and put it into storage.

Then I receive yet another bill for February service and after I contacted Customer Service, they said I had never canceled the contract. So I found my old Android and, sure enough, the old phone number was still operational. U.S. Cellular simply dropped the ball. It is a small amount (less than $100) we are speaking of here, but I am fed up with U.S. Cellular and am fighting the unfair charges for service that I had discontinued three weeks earlier. I will be filing a complaint with my state's Attorney General's Office to dispute the charges. Still, I likely will have to contact U.S. Cellular Customer Service yet again to close the account. A customer should not have to do this twice.

Thus ends more than a decade of erratic customer service with the company. I had simply stayed with U.S. Cellular because I was on a family plan. Whether or not I end up paying the charges for service I had discontinued nearly a month ago, I figure I end up ahead because I no longer have to deal with the inconsistent and shoddy service at U.S. Cellular. I highly recommend going with another carrier if you have the opportunity.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I've been a long time customer of US Cellular but due to their poor customer service I will be finding another carrier as soon as I get this phone paid off. EVERY time I've upgraded and/or changed plans I have months of billing errors and have to spend countless hours on the phone with rude incompetent so called customer service personnel who finally end up saying they've fixed the problem only to have the same issue resurface the following month. I even had one person, McKenzie, tell me that I needed to pay the charge because it was just a hick-up in their system and then it would go away!

US Cellular is great in their NEW custom service but blatantly abuse long term customers. They are totally focused on sales. I strongly recommend reviewing your bill MONTH and don't take their word for anything. I've been fighting this last battle since August of last year. AND IT STILL ISN'T RESOLVED despite being told every month that it has been. BOTTOM LINE, GO WITH ANOTHER CARRIER IF POSSIBLE.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have had US Cellular as a carrier before, but canceled them. Unfortunately, I live in Maine and have limited choices, with US Cellular having the best coverage. I find they continually make policies that do not make sense. In this case, I need to use my cell for business and would like call forwarding. Because I have a prepaid plan, they will not give it to me, even if I pay for it on a monthly basis. Just a flat out "no". I will be going out of the country to work. Instead of paying my monthly prepaid bill and something extra for call forwarding, they will lose my business for a month while I'm gone as I will not activate my phone for that month.

They also will not let me use a CDMA phone unless they have it on their list (read, a phone that they sell). They are not customer friendly and far too rigid for their own good. If I had any other choice in this area I'd use it in a second. Also, their prepaid customer service is in the Philippines and just getting their customer service to understand what I was talking about was laborious. Altogether, a continuously bad experience.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

US Cellular in Edenton, NC has the nastiest rudest employees I've ever seen. They hang up you. They treat customers like crap. They ignore customers when they enter the store. I've experienced this myself. Some needs to contact the customers that go to that location. I assure you would not believe how many of your customers that are/Have been mistreated at this location.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I switched to US Cellular under the promise of a great promotion. I would be using prepaid services since I own a perfectly good unlocked device, but the experience went downhill after the first few weeks. I got a confusing bill that seemed to be only for my first few days of service that was twenty five dollars more than what I had been told I would be paying monthly in person at a store. The representative I talked to had added up several discounts and told me I would be paying about 50 dollars a month but this seems to be a lie because corporate offices have no idea what this is and have not even listened to my problem.

They also seemed to have several different stories as to why I would have the charge that came before my first expected charge at the end of my billing cycle. Needless to say I will be switching providers as soon as I determine when I can end service without being charged an extra month. Their service is Okay though, however their prepaid plans are egregious. They only have a 2GB or an "unlimited" that slows to 2g speeds after 12 GB. I can get other plans that have 8GB of high speed data for less than 40 dollars a month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I got my bill and it was much higher than it had been so I called to find out why. The guy went step by step through the charges and I discovered they are charging me $10.00 just so they can see what plan I have. REALLY?? I told him they can SEE what plan I have by the BASIC PLAN DESCRIPTION AND CHARGES that appear on my bill every month. I have $96.00 of hidden fees for basically NOTHING added to my bill every month. I argued but Of course, I got nowhere. So my thoughts would be BEWARE!! They will add charges after senseless charges to your bill after they have you 'hooked' with their special offers.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have not had any issues with coverage. When the storm came, I was the only one in my house that could get service... Everyone was using my phone... My husband is thinking about getting a phone and I told him can't go wrong with US Cellular. #Winning

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had phone service with U.S. Cellular for over a year. l had prepaid phone. When I went to cancel my order They took out a payment anyway for the next month knowing full well that my account was no longer with them. Now they're refusing to give my money back I would not advise anyone to deal with U.S. Cellular especially the prepaid. You're always roaming. I never have signal anywhere except for in town. All those wireless towers are bogus.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have been with US Cellular since 2000, I have purchased almost all of the new phones that they come out with. I have 4 lines on my account and have always paid on time. I have a situation with one of my lines who was used by my son's ex-girlfriend who stopped paying me a few months ago. Unfortunately, I am stuck paying 60.00 extra dollars for the next 23 months. After speaking with the solutions dept and giving me a great deal that I could not pass up, I decided to go to the US Cellular store today to make the changes to my account. Of course though, if it sounded too good to be true - it probably was. They changed the deal on me and quoted me another 150.00 on top of $200.00 that I already had to pay for the deal to go through and took away a monthly credit which was offered.

Needless to say, I walked out of the store extremely irritated and not getting the deal they offered. I contacted the corporate office as well and they wouldn't change the deal back either. This is how they treat customers that have been with them for 19 years. When I get the chance to change services, I will be doing so but I am sure it doesn't even put a dent in their pocket book. They do not care about their customers - they are liars!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Switched to US Cellular 9/1/18 only to obtain a BOGO on new devices. We had their coverage years ago and had no problems other than price for services at that time, this time I have had nothing but dropped calls when out “roaming “ as it’s referred to. Now when you are roaming you are on their partner network, that really isn’t a partnership. It simply means that they “the other network” has allowed you to use their towers. US Cellular states they can’t guarantee coverage when roaming but put on their coverage map, “Wherever you go, we’ve got you covered.” Well I go right outside of US Cellular network area and I’m roaming on their not so covered area. Very misleading!

Sprint is the partner tower and will only fix a problem if there is multiple complaints of this issue and US Cellular tells you that the other network is known to boot you off for the sake of their own customers, SERIOUSLY?! My suggestion for anyone considering US Cellular, only if you live, work, and play in their network area, by all means the coverage is good. If you travel or work outside of their network coverage, STAY AWAY! If you want out of their service because you don’t have coverage, well they recommend to pay your BOGO devices, in FULL or have another network buy you out of their coverage by buying the devices in FULL! Way to go US Cellular- put the lack of truth on your advertising and service on your customers and other providers!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

US Cellular scam people out of hundreds of dollars. They will randomly change due date for bill and overcharge you then disconnect service without any warning. Your billing cycle is the same but they will change the due date and you will have to pay your bill before your cycle is even up and to try to change your due date they will charge you extra for the month you have already paid. They will state its always been the same due date even though it hasn't. They are worthless and just steal money from people. Do not go through them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I was with U.S. Cellular for 11 years, and moved to Wyoming where they did not have service. Ended up canceling my service, but when I tried to do that they told me they could not do that until I paid off a phone, even though my account was not under contract. So I just stopped paying the bill to see if they would cancel it then, and they did. They also sent the account straight to collections asap. You would think that with being a long time loyal customer they would work with you or even just let you walk away after eleven years of service with them. The total is only 322.00.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

About 2 months ago I purchased 2 Galaxy Note phones off the internet with unlimited plan. I received one and other one was stopped in the middle of being transported and sent back to company b/c fraud department wanted to verify it was me before sending (problem 1). Then I called US Cellular to have phone that I did receive, to be turned on and acquire why I haven't received other phone.

I was told to go to my closest store (problem 2). Then the store said I could not activate phone there and couldn't find out why other phone wasn't received and to call back 1-800 number (problem 3). Then I call to 1-800 # to decline service and send back the phone I received and to get a refund. I was convinced we would get it all figured out and to go back to the store and customer service rep would call me when I got there to help. She never called (problem 4). Then I was told other phone didn't arrive because fraud department needed to verify me so they can send it out. That was done and everything ok'd.

Person at store was going to get me my phone but after putting out 2 payments of $54, wanted me to pay another $54 to give it to me that day. And the phone I did receive was in limbo and they would figure it out next day (problem 5). After breaking down in store, I called 1-800 number to cancel and return the other phone. I've talked to like 15 people and can't get a refund b/c it was going to happen but now it's been declined for some reason. Everyone says the company they need to get in touch with is closed and call back or husband needs this and this or they can't find me in the system. So fed up. I just want my refund and never deal with this company again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I switched to US Cellular due to a great promotion they were offering. After months of hour+ calls to customer service and being told not to worry, it takes a few months for the corrected promotion to kick in, I was told, "Oh! you were put in the wrong promotion and now it is too late to switch you into it!" I am paying almost double what I was at the last cell company, my service is mediocre at best and I am stuck in the deal with no way out other than to pay off $750 per phone plus early termination fees. I can't afford it, but also can't afford to get out of it! They lied to me and tricked me. Run as fast as you can from US Cellular!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have been looking for a way for me, an 18 year old, to try and get the newest iPhone. I make enough, the only problem was that I didn't have credit yet. One day I finally managed to get a decent credit score. U.S. Cellular had a deal going on, so I went ahead and signed a contract with U.S. Cellular. I would completely wish I had not if it weren't for this new phone. My coverage is completely and entirely garbage. I can get online sometimes, and others, well, I might as well stick to phone calls.

Their app is completely unprofessional, it's basically their mobile version of their website, in an app. If you go to their mobile website, then download the app, it looks exactly, and I mean exactly the same. I would also like to state that I was misadvised, I thought my total per month was going to be $40 less than what it was, then was advised it would be only $20 extra per month until the discount kicked in. It is $40 extra monthly, and I am not happy. I am completely unsatisfied with my contract with U.S. Cellular. I love my new phone, but I do not like the service I get with it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We were planning a trip to Italy so I went to US Cellular to check if my Samsung S6 would work there. I had been exploring using a Sim Card purchased through Tim (Italian Company) and needed to know if my phone was unlocked and if it was capable of utilizing the Tim Sim Card. I went to on US Cellular store who told me that my phone was locked and I needed to go to a corporate store to get it unlocked but that it would work in Europe. I then went to the corporate store and was told it was unlocked but they could not help me regarding my phone working with a Tim Sim Card. I purchased the Sim card online and when I went to have it activated in Italy, it would not work.

I was told by a Tim representative that the phone was locked. I did a online chat for support and was told that the phone unlocked but was not capable of working in Italy. After doing some online research, I learned that US Cellular works off of a CDMA network and Europe does not use or support that type of network. I found that I could change the settings for the type of network needed in my phone "settings" to a LTE/GSM/UTMS network and everything worked great. I would also like to mention that US Cellular prepaid plans only work well in your home area, even when they claim you have nationwide coverage.

I have found that when making calls in the northern part of my home state, I have to manually enter the area code and phone number I am dialing a second time. This really creates problems since I don't have the numbers memorized. I called US Cellular to report this and was told that their regular plans work properly in those areas but this is the way pre-paid plans work. My guess is that this is the way they get you to convert to higher priced plans. I would suggest that if you are looking for a new cellular company you find someone other than US Cellular.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Stay clear of these liars!!! I was promised my bill would be 170 a month. I have been with them since July and I haven't seen a bill close to 170.00. I just found out a couple weeks ago that I was on a two year contract. They tell you what you want to hear to get your money and business. Customer service is awful. This is one company I wish I had stayed away from. I have reported them to the BBB and my next step is the FTC. I'm going to try and go to another company and I'm not paying them any more money.

They lied to me so I'm going to lie to them about paying my bill. You would think they would try to work with you to keep your business but I guessed they have scammed so many people out of their money they don't need your business. READ YOUR FINE PRINT. BUT THE BEST ADVISE I CAN GIVE IS TO STAY AWAY. I don't even have 4G coverage. I have to use my internet to make a phone call. A lot of times I don't have a signal and have to restart my phone a lot. Stay away!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

The service that US Cellular offers is garbage. They blatantly lie to get your business. I am in Columbia, Mo, a town of over 100,000 people, and they still don't offer VoLTE although that is one of their major selling points. The call quality is trash. I switched from Verizon and I couldn't be more disappointed. If I wasn't in a contract I would go straight back. Proceed with caution.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

US Cellular lied to us to get our business. They offered unlimited data. Which is a lie! The service area is literally only in our small town and that service is awful at best! We are paying $330 a month for 4 phones which do not work properly! You can't look at the internet while on the phone. If someone calls me, the calls are usually forwarded straight to voicemail without a single ring. We are small business owners who are forced to pay for additional phones that need repaired. The insurance company which we pay for is a joke! If I am out of town I can't use the internet for directions because it's out of the service area. This company is the absolute worst! If anyone wants to join me in a class action lawsuit. I am game!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have been using U.S. Cellular for 10 years, and I don't know why I have this long. Their signal has to be the worst in the industry. I get multiples of the same texts if someone is texting me and sometimes mine don't ever send even if it says sent. I miss calls all the time because I'll go from having full bars when I'm not using my phone to no bars as soon as you try to use your phone. They are literally the worst phone company.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I tried to set up an account with them in July. After not receiving my SIM cards and receiving an email saying they were sorry I cancelled my service. I called them and they said they had closed my account due to billing issues. What billing issues? Supposedly I had a prior outstanding bill. Disgusted I just kept my crap phone service. Then a month later my sister living at the same address is eligible for service. Turns out the prior owners had an outstanding bill that they never paid when they moved out of state. OK maybe now that this is cleared I can try again, sure I get service and hey I am eligible for the first month free. Cool!

I get the sims and set the phones up - no go. I have to pay for new phones since my last carrier has locked features on my phone that would allow me to use data, so $400 later for 2 new phones that work with another carrier's plan I get an invoice for my first month of service. Confused I call customer service and am told not to worry that it will be prorated since I just started my service. OK and now I get another bill, confused I call in and am told that because my account was started (and canceled) in July - PRIOR to the start of the first month free promotion, I was not eligible.

The best they could do was give me $15 off per line. Mad I ask for a superior who says the exact same thing except he will only give me $15 off, not PER LINE like the prior person had said. I told him every time I talk to someone I get a different story and how could they pride themselves on customer service when I have been getting the worst service from the get go? He didn't care and stood firm with his HUGE $15 discount. Bunch of LIARS. I am looking for another service. This is an awful phone service despite their claims to have won customer service awards.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

This company is not even fit to be in business. I just recently opened an account less than a week ago - was approved for 3 lines then the customer service representatives screwed the account up. Now I’m not eligible for three lines when I had purchase the other two devices. I had put AppleCare Plus on both phones and for some reason the AppleCare Plus disappeared from the account! I don’t recommend this company and it’s so frustrating that I depended on them to make this phone buying and service an easy process but I was wrong and very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We have been a customer for 20 years now and the first 15 years had been smooth but we started running into issues around 5 years ago with our billing and account. The updated billing system caused our bills to be marked as paid without the money being automatically deducted by our autopay agreement. They then realized their mistake and sent a us a bill with 6 months of unpaid bills. Once we got this resolved we again had issues with our online account. For a time in excess of 2 years we were unable to make any changes to our account online, this includes upgrades and ordering new devices, adding lines, or even ordering accessories. In addition, there was usage information available, so we couldn’t see our current official data usage. This was just recently fixed this July (2018).

9/12: New iPhone Xs and Xs Max are announced by Apple to be available for preorder on 9/14. 9/13: US Cellular online support says device preorders will go live at 2:01 AM CST on 9/14. 9/14 @ 2:01 AM CST: No preorders open (finally opened at 3:45 AM). After we placed our preorder at 6:45 AM CST on 9/14 we get a confirmation with the details of our order and think all is good. Fast forward one week later to delivery day: no sign of order delivery or even order shipment. We contact USC support and are told that devices will be shipped in the order that the orders were placed and to expect up to 8 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY. Nowhere was this 8 week timeframe listed in the advertising before preordering.

We then contacted the support again after waiting a few days and were told that the promotion that was offered for preordering was as compensation for them shipping devices to retail stores rather than to preordered customers (not advertised with the promotion). This practice is not only unfair but deceptive, US Cellular and you should feel ashamed that you have treated so many paying, long time customers with such disrespect. My advice is to stay away from US Cellular and definitely don’t preorder a device and fall for their deception.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

For over 10 years I have been bragging about the excellent coverage we had with US Cellular. Expensive but still reliable for 3 smartphones. Even for the week in the Northwoods of Wisconsin where I could tether my tablet and use it for the week. Dec. 2017 added a 4th phone with all “Unlimited Data.” But this year, 2018, coverage is Extended in all areas farther than 50 miles from home. At home our phones now vary hourly from No Service to 1x to 3G, even dropping calls. And this year coverage was horrible by Eagle River, same phone, same place, same week as previous years. We could not use the Personal Hotspot because the Data was throttled because we used TOO MUCH unlimited data! Unfortunately I still have 3 phones under contract, will wait them out and look for different coverage. Over $250 a month is a lot to pay for unreliable coverage!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

On 09/14/2018 I applied for a cell phone through U.S. Cellular, gave out my private information, paid w/ cc $27.02 as good faith. They sent me 3 emails, two emails were thanking me for choosing U.S. CELLULAR as my new cell phone provider along w/ acct information acct # **, amount of $27.02 was paid, plan was total plan unlimited plus, said it would take 72 hrs for order to be process. After order is process it will then be another additional 3-5 business days for shipping after order is process.

Then today 09/17/2018 I received email saying they were sorry because they don't service area w/ 73068 as zip but there are many people who has US Cellular as their service provider. If they claim not to provide service in my area they need not to have false advertisement saying they provide service no matter where you live. I'm tired of company's not backing up their word & do as they say they can do then turn around and take your money and drop you.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Signed up for the $60 unlimited plan in Maine, because it was essentially all that worked in my area. Now that I am in Alabama, the service is even worse here than in N. Maine! They claim good coverage, but the partner coverage they provide is terrible - actually, worse than that. Calls continually dropped; constantly required to verify the number; spotty quality when connected; throttled data. Do yourself a huge favor: buy two cans of your favorite beans (empty cans, eat the beans and then wash thoroughly), get some decent thread or small rope, string the cans together, pull tight and talk. Your call will be better than this sad, sorry excuse for cell phone service, otherwise known as US Cellular.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

This has been a horrible company to deal with! We have been customers with U.S. Cellular for 13 years now and the monthly bill has gotten outrageous!!! We are paying them, over what we are paying on our mortgage payments just to keep our phones turned on! We are absolutely sick of it and are no longer going to stay with them. We are disgusted at how they treat their customers and do not recommend them to anyone. Our advice would be to find a better company to go with!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I would give them zero stars if possible. First they refused for two years to remove a dead person from the account. Even though my partner had come in with the death certificate, and a power of attorney. Two years it took to remove him. Next they TAKE FOREVER every single time we go there. The latest insult is a continuing plan by the company to make extra money off our account. Because they will charge us an extra $10 to receive a paper bill, we opted for automatic bill pay. What could go wrong?

When, Asheville Savings Bank, was purchased by, First Bank, they sent everyone new cards. Now, not changing the card info was our fault. We forgot so the phones were turned off without warning because the bill was not paid. Why they don't send a nice text message, or email telling us we missed a bill I have no idea. If they can automatically take money from a bank account I assume they can automatically drop you a note when you forget to pay. So, we pay the late fees, reinstate the lines, and go through the motions to change the card information to make sure they will deduct money from the correct bank account.

A month comes and goes, and the phones are turned off without warning again. Why would that happen when there is plenty of money, and a fixed automatic bill pay? Because somehow US Cellular is attempting to remove money from the canceled card which they assured us had been removed from the automatic bill pay. We yet again have to go through too many hours at the store while they fix their mistake. Well, it happened again. Another month has come and past where the wrong card info somehow was used to take money, and of course it is canceled, so no money to be had.

Our phones were yet again turned off without any warning. Every time we have fixed the problem they assure us it is safe. "Don't worry. IT'S AUTOMATIC BILL PAY FF SAKE!" We are taking our business elsewhere. If US Cellular is a respectable company they will remove all late fees, and charges associated with this screwup. We will pay our final bill, and never be customers again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Long time customer (mainly because this is only company that works in our rural area). Received email stating $250 off ANY new iPhone. Went to store and purchased new iPhone SE, only to find out the next day that phone didn't qualify. Nothing in email stating it had to be an iPhone costing at least $650, absolutely nothing. So be very very careful if you receive an ad from them!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

The data throttling on my device is horrible even before the high speed data cap is gone. It still throttles itself. I can be sitting with a thousand yards of a cell tower and it makes no difference. I've tried talking to customer service on the matter and they pretty much just read off a script and say something along the lines of, "Oh well the cell towers are being worked on in your area," which is a lie because I went directly to the US Cellular store in town and asked them about cell towers being worked on in my area their reply was, "There isn't any being worked on." My speed jumps from 4G LTE to 3G and then to 1x in that order. Shortly I start getting on Facebook or watching YouTube and my wife has the same phone with the same issues. It's not the phone. It's the carrier that's to blame and they simply won't do anything to rectify it.

U.S. Cellular expert review by ConsumerAffairs

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

• Best for: U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs