U.S. Cellular

U.S. Cellular Reviews

3.6/5 (463 ratings)

About U.S. Cellular Reviews

U.S. Cellular Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I was a customer with US Cellular for 15 years and I can't tell you how many times my bill would just change the amount that I was billed. I would call in annually to negotiate a rate for the next 12 months and see what "discounts" they could give me and the last 3 times that I did this, they tried charging me a different rate. This time was the last time that will happen. I am switching to T-Mobile and saving over $40/month from the best rate that US Cellular would give me. I gave them multiple opportunities to keep my business and they didn't seem to care. They won't send you the rate that you discussed in writing for the term agreed upon and that is shady business. I take notes every time I call them and document everything, they record the calls for their purposes but won't hold the people you talk to accountable for the rates that they agree you will get charged. US Cellular billing is shady.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

They invoice in advance for a whole month, even if you cancel the service. They do not issue you a credit for the unused portion of the month. I closed my account on the 9th, but was billed for the entire month. Don't believe that they will issue you a credit the following month (2 different people on 2 different days told me this), because later they will just apologize that you were given wrong information and add a late fee. They will prorate to their advantage if you sign up mid-month and charge you for those days, but will not prorate for the days you were no longer with them when you cancel their service. They will charge you for the whole month. It's not fair.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2023

This company has terrible support/service. They can ship a phone to you practically overnight. But it takes weeks to fix a mistake. The people I’ve talked to are nice but can’t do anything to help you. Get mailed the wrong phone and you can’t just go to the store to return it. They send you away, telling you online is the only support you can get. Phone support mails an empty box for some reason that can only be to waste paper. Then you get it in the mail and one person says you can Re-order the correct phone. But the next says it’s pending. End of day it’s nice people that are unable to provide support.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

This company will tell you anything to get you to sign on with them. They quoted me $130, and my bill was $293. They cut off my service for non-payment when my bill was paid in full. They did this after 10 pm and on x mas eve, so my whole family was out of service for two days. I have terrible service. I cannot make a phone call or text when I am in a store. People always say that they get an out-of-service recording when they call me. Everyone I know that uses this company has the same issues. They promised my sister she would save if she switched from Verizon. She pays over $600 a year more with them.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

First I would like to thank Ms. Elizabeth ** (or **) for providing an excellent service and for being so helpful and getting the job done during a phone call on December 16th, 2022. I had been a customer of U.S. Cellular since 2006, first as a contracted customer and then as a prepaid customer. Now I wanted to switch from prepaid to contracted again, but all of their customer services and sales department were either so incompetent lazy, except Ms. Elizabeth **. I made a total of nine calls and one store visit for a total of four plus hours on December 9th and 15th and 16th, but only Ms. Elizabeth was able to get the job done. The waiting time on the line was about 20+ minutes per call. Because U.S. Cellular online customer services or sales department were unable to help me with the switch, I went to their store yesterday to have the switch done, but this morning I found out my husband's line was suspended.

I called them 7 times today, but my calls were either being transferred or disconnected. One of the ladies who finally answered my call phone directly hang up the phone. I guess those people were working from home and hated being awakened from their nap. While trying my last call, I planned to change my cell phone service provider if this last call wouldn't go through. Luckily, it was Ms. Elizabeth ** answered my call and took time to solve the problem and had my husband's line activated. I hope U.S. Cellular will provide better customer services by getting rid of those incompetent lazy workers and replacing them with people like Ms. Elizabeth **.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH US CELLULAR. I have been overcharged several times, including having my family's service cut off for non-payment when payment was made in a store. I see many similar complaints.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I live in a highly populated urban area and can on only get 1 bar of data, listening to Pandora skips like a scratched record. I am happy to know this will be one of those future stories we tell about how bad cell phone service was in the 2020's.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I have recently relocated to Florida to help out with the destruction that hurricane Ian had left. The job that I thought I had didn't work out. The guy just disappeared. No worries, I will find work. However, my bill came due and funds are short from the move and the burn. I reached out to U.S. Cellular for some temporary help. I owe $91.91. Seemingly small amount compared to prior bills. They refused! I have been a customer for 11 years! I just figured out that I have 19 more payments on my phone. At $28.33 per payment, that comes to $538.27. I wasn't asking them to forget about the $91.91. Just asking them to turn my phone on so that I could find work to pay the bill. I explained that I had recently relocated and to where.

**, pay me was their response. Not verbatim. That's what I heard. So I responded with matching energy and told them that if my 11 years was worth nothing and to let that amount slide until I could pay wasn't an option, than I will never pay it and I will NEVER turn the service back on. They can take that $91.91 plus the $538.27 for a grand total of $630.18 and choke on it. All because they couldn't help out an 11 year faithful, good customer. Not their best customer but a good customer. I have always paid by bills. They strong-armed me on the wrong day! Who needs who?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

I went in and bought a phone that Jasmine said was no good I did not listen. I had nothing but problems. They have me 14 says to bring it back so brought it back the second day. I am no good with phones. Ole Jasmine went out of her way to help out at the moment mossoiri phone

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

Back in June of 2022, I contacted U.S. Cellular about their 29.99 per line even for individuals. I was told that is what my service fees were going to be. So the next month I contacted them because my bill jumped to 37.47, with the service fees being 34.00 when they are supposed to be 29.99. So they told me that my auto-pay discount wasn't working and they have had issues with this, and to give them a couple of months to try to fix it. So I waited 2 months before I contacted them again. They then told me it was because I wasn't keeping my data usage below 3 GB.

So I waited another couple of months to get my GB below 3 and I contacted them last Thursday. And I asked to speak to a supervisor. They said they didn't have one available to come to the chat, so they were supposed to set me up to be contacted via phone within 24 hours. It is now Saturday and I can't access the chat because it claims they are all too busy and to try again later. I just want what I was promised which is to have my service fees be 29.99. My family has been a loyal customer to them, and so have I for many years even before I got my own plan. So I want to know why I am getting lied to and mistreated.

U.S. Cellular author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

U.S. Cellular Company Information