U.S. Cellular Reviews

U.S. Cellular
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.17/5

U.S. Cellular Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: April 13, 2020

I have used several providers, was unhappy with all of them. US Cellular is the only one that I've been satisfied with. The service is excellent, I walk into the store with a problem and it's solved, I call with a problem and it's solved, The price and plans are something I can afford. They are always friendly and helpful and the only one I have wanted to stay with.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I had to replace my old smartphone but couldn't afford to!! I got a smartphone & am paying monthly payments for the phone. I live in a mobile home with a steel roof & the new phone doesn't work in my house!!! Facebook works, but have to go outside to make or answer calls???? That is not fun in the wintertime or on rainy days !!! They said it would be better when 5G came in, but it hasn't!!!

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

My family lives on the outskirts of Des Moines, IA and we are new customers of US Cellular. We signed up for the promotional plan 4 lines for $30 each. Got our first bill and it was higher than quoted. I was upset when I first saw it and finally called in since the online login system is down and couldn't sign into my account to get the issue resolved. I spoke to Brandon in billing and he was GREAT! The first thing I said was that it appeared our bill was incorrect and that we are new customers. Brandon was very patient and calmly stated he would take a look and see what was going on.

He then proceeded to go through every line item of my bill, indicating which page I should go to and what cost to look at. It was almost like he was standing right next to me looking at it too. I told him I didn't understand where some of the summary charges were coming from on the front page and he directed me to each of the pages where those charges were coming from and added them up for me to get the total on the summary page.

I also let him know what we were quoted at the store and there was one discrepancy that the sales person didn't explain correctly. We were told if we signed up for auto pay we would get another $10 off our bill each month, but I learned from Brandon that that is actually already built into the promotion plan of 4 lines for $30 each. He said he always tries to err on the side of misunderstanding instead of thinking the sales person is trying to be deceptive. He himself used to be on the sales floor so he has a diverse perspective and is more understanding. Great quality to have.

He named the sales person we worked with and said he would provide that feedback to make sure this person understands the promotion correctly and is quoting customers correctly going forward. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Every customer service person should be just as patient and communicative as Brandon was with me. I was a US Cellular customer 15 years ago and always had a great experience. For me, it is still the same great experience as it was many years ago. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I had such a great experience with my sales rep Arber **! I live in Whitewater and I came in tired of paying so much to AT&T with all their hidden fees and horrible reliability and Arber took me through all my options with U.S. Cellular. He didn't pressure me to get the newest phone or go with the highest bill but he showed me all the different options and let me know the choice is mine to make. I came in with a cell phone I already owned and showed me actual price differences between if I went with my phone or went with one of their phones. He was very patient and was even able to make my bill lower with a special promo. I will be a long and valuable customer. Your loss, AT&T.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

When we went to the store the male associate wasn't helpful. He suggested us not upgrading and talked so high tech. Had no clue. I was so frustrated that I seen this other associate Monica who sold our phones 2yrs ago and asked her for help. She was wonderful, assisted us with adjusting our phone plan, phones, which she knows her products in and out. We asked lots of questions and she was patient. I would highly recommend everyone to go to the Edgewood store and ask for Monica. She goes the extra mile always.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I live in WV and it used to be that US Cellular was the only carrier with service at my house. For about 3 years, it was fine. In the past 6 months both my neighbor and I can barely make or receive calls.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I live in an apartment on the 1st floor. I get better reception out in the middle of nowhere than I do sitting in my own apartment. I either get missed calls or dropped calls unless I go outside. I have done a hard reset, gone in and let them change settings but still get crappy service. I even get horrible service in the middle of my town and have dropped calls going down the road. They have a different excuse every time I go in and ask for help. I live in a major city and still can't get good service and am stuck with these people until I pay off my useless phone.

Original review: May 30, 2020

U.S. Cellular is a terrible company! They will double bill you for your account and act offended when you ask for your money back. They can only “open a case” on your account and tell you it could take at least 20 days to get your money back. They don’t refund your debit card or account, they want to send you your own money back on a money card. They have done this to me twice now and the last time I never received my “refund” it stayed as a credit on my account. I will never do business with that company again!

Original review: May 20, 2020

With the social security offices closed this company is not accepting new customers who cannot provide an SSN card. Not the number but the card. They have no alternative process. I brought ID, an original birth certificate and original 2019 W2 but that did not prove that I am who I am. They were rude and unaccommodating.

Original review: May 19, 2020

For the last 9 months you fight to get data service and you drop calls all the time. I pay for unlimited data and half the time I can’t get online. It don’t pay to call and complain. I am really close to finding another phone company because I need service and they only care about new customers not the customers they already have.

U.S. Cellular author review by ConsumerAffairs

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team