U.S. Cellular Reviews

U.S. Cellular
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.47/5

U.S. Cellular Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

My family lives on the outskirts of Des Moines, IA and we are new customers of US Cellular. We signed up for the promotional plan 4 lines for $30 each. Got our first bill and it was higher than quoted. I was upset when I first saw it and finally called in since the online login system is down and couldn't sign into my account to get the issue resolved. I spoke to Brandon in billing and he was GREAT! The first thing I said was that it appeared our bill was incorrect and that we are new customers. Brandon was very patient and calmly stated he would take a look and see what was going on.

He then proceeded to go through every line item of my bill, indicating which page I should go to and what cost to look at. It was almost like he was standing right next to me looking at it too. I told him I didn't understand where some of the summary charges were coming from on the front page and he directed me to each of the pages where those charges were coming from and added them up for me to get the total on the summary page.

I also let him know what we were quoted at the store and there was one discrepancy that the sales person didn't explain correctly. We were told if we signed up for auto pay we would get another $10 off our bill each month, but I learned from Brandon that that is actually already built into the promotion plan of 4 lines for $30 each. He said he always tries to err on the side of misunderstanding instead of thinking the sales person is trying to be deceptive. He himself used to be on the sales floor so he has a diverse perspective and is more understanding. Great quality to have.

He named the sales person we worked with and said he would provide that feedback to make sure this person understands the promotion correctly and is quoting customers correctly going forward. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Every customer service person should be just as patient and communicative as Brandon was with me. I was a US Cellular customer 15 years ago and always had a great experience. For me, it is still the same great experience as it was many years ago. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I had such a great experience with my sales rep Arber **! I live in Whitewater and I came in tired of paying so much to AT&T with all their hidden fees and horrible reliability and Arber took me through all my options with U.S. Cellular. He didn't pressure me to get the newest phone or go with the highest bill but he showed me all the different options and let me know the choice is mine to make. I came in with a cell phone I already owned and showed me actual price differences between if I went with my phone or went with one of their phones. He was very patient and was even able to make my bill lower with a special promo. I will be a long and valuable customer. Your loss, AT&T.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I don’t quite understand all the bad reviews. I have had nothing but fantastic service for years. I travel a lot for my work 300 + miles a day on average in 3 states. I very rarely have dead zones. We have three phones and a tablet and iPad on our account. We live in rural area in Kansas and other carriers cannot provide service other than Verizon which is much higher priced and lower quality service. I recently upgraded my Galaxy S8 plus that I got 2 years ago. It was a great phone but was ready for an upgrade. I especially like the finance option. They let you pay for the latest phones in monthly payments. We also got an iPhone for our daughter free after bill credits. We are on the unlimited data plan and receive a discount on it because we have multiple lines.

I upgraded to iPhone XS Max and could not be happier. Love their specials on phones and tablets. I also got a $600 iPad for under $200 at only $5 a month plus $15 a month for data plan. Also every time I call or chat to customer service they are always very nice and helpful. They even gave me a credit on my bill because I was thinking of changing carriers. As long as they keep the customer service as it is now I will be a customer for life.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Spoke with Jessica in customer service and was extremely delighted with the service. She gave us and addition 1 GB for our Data plan. The only time we use more than our current 2GB is during our summer vacations. Jessica appreciated that we were long time (over 24 years) customers so she gave us the additional 1 GB at no charge. Not many companies will you find that will do this. Especially Cable companies. We were delighted and surprised at her kindness. This kind of service is what has kept us with US Cell for all these years. Thank you Jessica and US Cell.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I’m certain switching to U.S. Cellular and taking advantage of their amazing deal on the iPhones is the best solution for our fam's cell needs. I appreciate Natasha ** knowledge, and friendly willingness to go over all of our options with patience and a smile to make sure we got the exact package that’s right for us, and fit our budget. Our experience has been excellent. I wish I could’ve given 4 1/2 stars instead of just 4, but I reserve the perfect scores for something like being the lucky twenty millionth customer and winning free lifetime service, or a free one week trip to Las Vegas for the wife and I????

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I have been a customer of US Cellular for approximately 7 years, carrying up to 6 lines for a while, but usually 5 lines. During that time, US Cellular has offered free phones repeatedly for people to switch to their service. Not one single time have they offered their current customers a similar deal. So, for those of you switching, beware that the new phone you get when you switch will be the last one you get.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

We live in Maine and travel throughout New England. We have all have the IPhone XS and service is horrible. We have dropped calls or no service throughout The Bangor area.. Little to no service in Portland and south (we lost all navigation for example until off I95). Worst move we every made was away from Verizon. I am not sure if their network doesn’t work with IPhones or they just aren’t big enough to offer reliable service. Stay away from this carrier if in the northeast!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

My experience with US Cellular is that people DO NOT LISTEN TO YOU. The US Cellular Prepaid website is a piece of crap. And I do not know where they hire these people from. They don't understand English and they are rude. Had my phone disconnected several times even though I set my account for automatic payment.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

For the past few months I've been unable to get signed into my US Cellular account online to look at new plan prices, pay my bill, review my bill or anything else. For how much I spend per month for one phone & for such a huge company, you would think they'd get this taken care of already! It's ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

A quick guide from three years of “service”:

1) None of their plans are as advertised. Agents will outright lie to you, and you will end up owing three times the money, locked in a three year contract.

2) The company has, on FOUR separate occasions, discontinued service for “non-payment,” even though the bills were auto-paid, and proven to have been withdrawn. This happened twice to my elderly, handicapped father on his emergency phone. The only tower in our rural area is US Cellular, so they would, of course, take no responsibility for a “system glitch”—and we cannot switch providers. Four times is not a glitch. It’s customer harassment.

3) False promotions and contests. I tried to use the hotel discount promotion they sent for being a loyal customer. After trying several reservations with no discount, representatives at USC tried to tell me that the promotion was not officially from their company. A promotion with my USC account information, traced back to their official ISP address. Officially a scam. How many of you have tried the recent Christmas game, and, when you attempt to type in your email address for the second time, have been shifted to a title card with Christmas greetings and nothing else? 90% of my friends and family. Nothing says Christmas like a giveaway scam!

4) Slowest hotspot data around.

5) Rudest, slowest, nastiest customer service in every location we’ve been to. One woman swore constantly, and talked to her teenaged kids on the other side of the store—never actually helping else with our service problems. All of the others constantly left us to take payments from pay-as-you-go customers.

6) Everything about the website, from top to bottom. If you need anything at all, from a data inquiry to an upgrade, you’d have better luck with an employee’s teenaged kids.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

U.S. Cellular expert review by ConsumerAffairs

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

• Best for: U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team