2.24/5
Based on 72 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

U.S. Cellular Reviews

636 U.S. Cellular Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

I had a great experience when I first went this carrier and went back 2nd time at the end of the month. I want to change my plan. Told them what I need and they did not give me what I ask for. Ask for a refund. Never got and I went back to my old carrier. Glad I did.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I had US Cellular while living in SE Kansas. I bought a Samsung Note 4 on eBay (after checking with US Cellular TWICE to make sure it was clear and they could activate). They activated it and collected money from me for 3 plus years. When I moved to Lawrence I wanted to change providers but still use my Note 4. US Cellular said it was unlocked, yet I could not get it activated with any provider. I called US Cellular and was told that they had no record of me using that Note 4 and that it was blacklisted.

We went back and forth and they are insisting I never used it with them and they cannot take it off the blacklist. They keep saying I must have another Note 4, like calling me a liar. I have only owned one Note 4, and you activated it. Now I have a phone I cannot use or sell because you refuse to correct the blacklisting error. I am now with Cricket, paying $20 a month less and getting better service. I had to buy another phone, thanks to you. You have lost a customer for life and I will share my experience with others.

U.S. Cellular 636 Reviews (with Ratings) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 27, 2018

I have had US Cellular for 10+ years...I have lived in the same area all of this time. Over the past 6 months, my service is going from LTE to 3G and 1x and dropping calls left and right. Both my mom and dad just switched over and my dad drops EVERY call he makes. They are in the same area as me. I have a friend who actually called to complain to US Cellular and they told her it must just be a fluke. Really. A fluke. My battery starts out at 100% during the day and with minimal usage is at 30% by noon- this is a NEW phone with no applications running in the background...it's just searching for tower signals constantly! I have spoke with my boyfriend and we are switching to a different carrier, it's not worth the hassle and dismissiveness of the carrier.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Their coverage service is great. However, if you have a billing issue, cross your fingers, hope, and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Watch your billing if you don't have unlimited everything. They will bite you if you travel outside your area, or roam outside. I was in the middle of nowhere Nevada - between Elko and Wells. Had great service, however I was surprised with nearly a $1000 cellular bill... because of the 'late roaming' charges... and claims I was 'over my minutes.' When the calls were put on a spreadsheet, and sorted by actual date of the calls, I was 'within' the limits. But because of the delays in their 'out of carrier' minutes reports, they calculated them at 'when they were reported' rather than when the calls were made. The first time they credited without issue, the second and third time, despite knowing I traveled all over the USA, they refused to apply the math correctly. It was a huge fight...

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have been with US Cellular ever since they had the bag phone and I have been ok with their service. There has been many issues but we continued to stay with them. But now for the last three years their coverage areas that they say gets good signals has consistently gotten worse. They advertise on television that they can make a phone call from the dessert. If that’s true why can’t I make a call from my home. I have most of the time no service or 1 bar. My calls won’t go out and they won’t come through. Text messaging is extremely slow sending with call failed constantly. Sending a picture is a joke.

For the past year we have been so discussing along with 1,000’s of customers in our area. It is not only at our homes but on the highway, in a building, at church in the store that we absolutely cannot use our phones. Something needs fixed or the company needs to quit lying about the coverage. We live in Stigler, Enterprise, Porum, Whitefield, Longtown areas, all in Oklahoma where the service is hard to get. Aggravation does not even describe how we feel. Yet they have one of the only services for cellphones in our area. Upset customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: June 13, 2018

This wireless carrier is good on monthly price for unlimited services but their service is hit and miss when out of town or out of state. Was recently traveling to SC and didn't have good reception through TN, KY, IL and SC. There was a cell tower right outside where we were staying in SC and still we had no service, had to go several miles up the road to get service/reception. Contacted U.S. Cellular when we got back home to MO and was told we had to contact them from where we were not getting service, this was not possible, we had no service to contact them with. Very disappointed in their service.

Original review: June 9, 2018

6 GB of phone data, 1 GB of tablet data for less than $55/month. Good customer service either in store or on phone. Coverage sometimes puts you in roam mode, or low signal strength depending on where you're at. Not always 4G service.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Been with U.S. Cellular for over 15 years and never been really happy with them. I should switch but never did. Should switch to Verizon.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I first told the rep who assisted me that I did not want to pay a lot of money initially maybe $30-$40 and that my credit was bad. He ran my credit and said it went through for the phone and he said I qualified for the Samsung Galaxy J3 (6). Then after I initialed or signed stuff he comes back with they are requesting $80. There is a catch in the terms deposit and downpayment where these are apparently two different things. I told him I didn't even know if I had $80 on my debit card but he just swipes it and it goes through. Then he tells me I have a credit and overpayment of $40. He could not seem to explain why but he said it will come off my first bill.

When I get my first bill it was for over $170 and no $40 credit was taken off. I was told that my bills would be $40 or under if I signed up for direct payment from my checking account otherwise they would be $50 month. Thank goodness I had not yet signed for that direct payment to be taken. The phone alone was supposed to be only $3.00 per month, the service was supposed to be prepaid. I never paid the bill, after receiving the 3rd bill they were only asking for $40 and then it went to a collection agency. I got one month of service and the phone for my $80. I did call a few times and was only able to reach someone one time who denied everything I accused him of saying but yet at the end of the conversation we determined that I had spoken with a different Brian. It's sad because the reception with US Cellular is good where I live and I like the phone very much. I still have the phone, the contract and receipt.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Have been with U.S. Cellular since 1996 never had problem with coverage or service. Compared data plans with others and U.S. Cellular does well by our plans and getting new phones.

Original review: June 2, 2018

You have to almost threaten them when you want to make a change to your program. I spent hours with them to add a member to my group. At first they were unwilling to make the changes I was promised when I started the plan I am with but after letting them know that I would be contacting the FCC and Ombudsman and reporting false advertising, they were more than willing to help me make the changes that I requested.

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO THREATEN A COMPANY TO GET THE SERVICE I WAS PROMISED? If I had not done my research, I could have been taken advantage of. Do a little legwork if you feel you are right. It will pay off in the end. I received excellent service after the threat/promise was made to make the contacts if they didn't honor their agreement.

Original review: May 31, 2018

For two lines, for my daughter and myself, unlimited data and texting, I only pay $140 a month, ALL fees included in that price. No dropped calls, anywhere either of us goes, it's what a cellphone plan is suppose to be like!

Original review: May 30, 2018

My experience begin in 2005, w/ U.S. Cellular. They were the only cell phone provider that gave me cell phone service so I appreciate being their customer. In 2018, my phone service is great and my bill monthly is always the same. Could not ask for better company.

Original review: May 26, 2018

U.S. Cellular has fantastic customer service. However, their reception leaves a lot to be desired. And their data reception is from the Stone age. The price is good with no contacts. I guess I get what I pay for.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Right now the cost is prohibitive but TracFone and their gradually worsening Customer service left me on a search. I might have tried Verizon but I had tried them before and found their cost was said to be one thing but ended up about 30% higher. AT&T had the towers for my TracFone and reception was horrendous. I would stand outside with the speaker on and wave it in the air trying to get a signal. T-Mobile made an offer on the phone so I drove 50 miles to get there. They told me they would never make an offer like that but they could offer me an outrageously high cost. I expressed my disgust with them and walked to my car in the rain. Yes, I drove fifty miles each way to be screwed by T-Mobile. I should have checked Verizon a little closer but now I have two years with U.S. Cellular!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had US Cellular, I ported over to Sprint because they are lower and unlimited means unlimited!!! I paid off the final of bill of 2000.00 5-7-18! I even asked the representative if that was it, he assured me yes it was. I wouldn't receive another bill. My account balance was 0.00! On 5-19-18 lo and behold I got another bill for a past due amount of 49.72! When I called no one seemed to know anything, I was switched from this person to that person, then they hung up on me! That's cool though cause they are getting a call as soon as I get off, and they thought I was pissed before. They haven't seen ** yet I promise!!! #DO NOT USE US CELLULAR. THEY ARE A RIP OFF AND DONT KNOW ANYTHING#.

Original review: May 10, 2018

When I upgraded to smartphone #1 the salesman was an idiot who knew nothing. He told me there would be no extra charges. The bottom line I'm paying $20 per month more and they tried to add tons of extra fees which after hours on the phone some were waived and all they did was apologize for the idiot salesman who still works there but told me I had to pay the extra fees. After 15 years with U.S. Cellular I'm switching to T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular can kiss my butt.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I'm sick and tired of these crooks, I pay for UNLIMITED service and then nobody tells me that really the "unlimited" is on my 22g of data. So now my phone is literally entirely useless. I can not do anything on it without it crashing and turning off. Right now I'm literally paying for an overpriced paperweight and it makes me angry!. Then I call and the woman who "helps" me is so dang rude! I've worked in customer service my whole life and the number ONE rule: you DO NOT treat your customers like crap!!

I was continuously interrupted as I was trying to explain my issue, she kept talking over me with an incredibly bad attitude, and then refused me when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I'm so sick of these people and their lies!! Unlimited data my butt, no tricks or hidden fees and no surprises on your bill is what is advertised and is NOTHING BUT pretty worded lies!!! I literally hate with every fiber of my being this b.s. company and their terrible customer service phone reps. You should be ashamed U.S. Cellular. Shame on you!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I started service with US Cellular in February 2018. They were running a special on data. One line service should’ve been $35. The other line should’ve been $20. With the phones and before taxes my bill should’ve been around $137. For two brand new phones and unlimited data that was a steal and I couldn’t pass that up. So I started my contract. I got $100 per line to spend on cases which was awesome. Until I got my first bill in April, I was billed for two months of service at one time. I wasn’t happy about that. Because I wasn’t excepting to pay $400 in just a few days.

Then my May bill comes out and it’s over $200. The line charges are correct $20 for unlimited total plans, the price of the phones and the price of the device protection. Which added together is what they claimed my phone bill would be. But I’m also being charged an extra $85 for my total plan and other charges. It’s advertised as a plan with no hidden fees. But clearly there are $85 worth of hidden fees that no one at US Cellular can tell me what they are for because I’ve asked multiple times. It’s just ridiculous. I wish I would’ve never went with US Cellular. I’ve been a customer for 3 months and I hate their service so much. I’ve been lied to. I can’t wait to be able to switch to a better company that won’t lie.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I had 4 phone numbers (family plan, me, son, daughter, and uncle) with US Cellular, for over 8 yrs, paying over $260 per mo. which was way OVER costs of SAME services with other companies. At $35 cost per mo. X 4 phones = $140! I was NOT under any 2 yr contract with them to keep all 4 numbers. So I turn off 2 numbers (son & daughter) 1st, then couple months later, my uncle said he could SAVE MONEY, getting a new phone number with same services and told me to shut off his number, he was NOT going to PAY FOR THE number. When I tried to turn OFF uncles number they refused, they said: "When I bought my iPhone 7 Plus, they, THE PHONE COMPANY attached my payment plan to WRONG NUMBER. They attached the new phone to my uncle's number, not my number, they are sorry but it can NOT be switched to correct number, they have NO WAY TO FIX THEIR ERROR."

They refused to correct the ERROR THEY made. The only way for me to keep MY number (I've had since 2007) was to pay in full for phone THEY agreed to sell me on a payment plan. I only agreed to buy phone BECAUSE of payment plan, I did not nor do I have over $600 (left to pay off the phone.) I was ONLY using ONE number. They were forcing me to pay for 2 numbers for 26 months till iPhone was paid off. (phone bill over $160 per mo. X 26 mos. = $ 4,160.00,) this does NOT include the iPhone payment OR $8.99 per month insurance ($8.99X26 mo=$234.00 more) they also force customers to have insurance (costs over $175.00 deductible and then you continue to pay for lost or broken phone) so new phone ONLY really cost them $175 from factory! I did everything I could to work with them to solve their error, they refused to correct.

I was told by their customer's service employee on the phone that she put ALL of this complaint in the 'notes' of my number/account. I asked her to also give her manager a suggestion "THIS IS WHY US CELLULAR IS LOSING CUSTOMERS" and then I gave up on them. My own solution was to switch to a different provider and get a new phone number at a cost of $32.00 per mo. with an AARP discount. ($32.00X26 mo=$832.00) I saved over $3,328.00 (4160-832=$3328.00).

Original review: April 23, 2018

Both I and my friend were customers of separate accounts at US Cellular for more than 15 years. When we decided to combine and switch to Verizon 3 years ago, we both went to the local USC store to close the accounts. All contract requirements had been met. Both accounts were closed and paid in full. I was fine but my friend received a bill for the next 2 months for $136. Explained the situation to various reps. of USC by phone, in person and in writing. We assumed they understood their mistakes and made the corrections. Then after 3 years, my friend’s FICO score took a 100 point hit because of a $136 unpaid USC invoice. We no longer need credit or care about a FICO score but we wanted to warn others to be aware of US Cellular’s accounting tactics.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I was a US Cellular customer for near a decade. Service and cost was the reason for signing up. Then their costs started going up and they started to act like a one of the large cell providers like Verizon or AT&T. No more small town relationship and customer service went downhill. So I decided to shop. I found a new carrier with better options and monthly cost saving of $80. That's a lot when you consider I have a family of 6 and 5 lines of service.

After starting my new service and closing with US Cellular; I of course thought my final bill was my final bill. Wrong!!! I started receiving monthly final bills ranging from $43 to $56. I would call for an explanation and they could not figure out why I had this continuing bill. This continued for 6 months. Then out of nowhere and without a customer service call from US Cellular, I had a credit collector contact me for a final balance of $220. With no reason except to collect on the unpaid balances for the last 6 months that "US Cellular could not explain" to me the reason for the charges. So I paid the bill to relieve the burden and anxiety. 6 months later, I was sent a new letter from a collector asking for $42. Need I say more. Still not resolved. Needless to say, stay away from US CELLULAR and when you close your account with any company get a letter stating you owe them nothing more.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Don't trust US Cellular or anything they say. Me and my wife re-signed up with them for new phones back around November and we have had only one billing that has been accurate so far. We were told on an email that we could get the S8 for $10 a month and a gift card. When we arrived to the store we were told if we took the cards it would be $13 a month apiece for the phones. A few weeks later after paying our taxes for the phones we were supposed to get a bill for around $170 with tax, instead it was over $220. We called and were told it would be 90 days before we received the credits to make our phones $13 a month and until then we would pay $25 a month for them. 90 days later I get a bill for $170 but that is only because I have 90 days worth of credits.

A couple of weeks goes by and all the US Cellular customers get a weird text about receiving no phone credits because our old phones weren't turned in. We called and were assured that there was a glitch in the system and that our account could be fixed. They blamed it on a major system malfunction that affected many accounts. I received our last Bill which again was $205, a far cry from 170 but again they are telling me we must WAIT ANOTHER 90 DAYS! WHAT! That's 180 days with no promo credits and a very overpriced bill! I'm going back to Verizon where they own the market and the latest technology, not this OVERPRICED junk. Please do yourself a favor and never sign up with such an incompetent company such as this who can't even control their own billing!

Original review: April 1, 2018

So like a lot of people I shop for the best deals. Got the best deal on a then too phone, (11/2016 iPhone 7) with that I got a tablet for a penny. Yup. Samsung 2 to be exact. Well the iPhone took a nice deuce (wouldn’t read the SIM card) on 1/2018. 1 year 2 months. Garbage phone, have to go to an Apple store to get it repaired. A week out... no thanks. "Can I trade it in on the new iPhone 8." "Nope. It’s a nonworking phone." "Ok. "Oh and I had payment plans on it too. 10 more months." Ok. "Cancel my plan. I go elsewhere." I finally received my final bill. 3/12/18 633$. They tell me not to pay until I get all the credits. Get the final revised bill 3/31/18 at 955$! That was unexpected. Call them for an explanation.

The only reason the tablet was a penny was because I financed it. News to me... so I was conned into it by the salesman when I got it. Fine. "This is more than I expected. Can we make some sort of payment arrangements to take care of this." "Pay this right now, x amount per month." Nope. Basically they wanted all of their money or they were going to send me to collections. Offers to make very reasonable payments. No again. Paid what I could afford at this time but they gave me 30 days to pay the rest... I’m sure I’m not the first and doubt I’ll be the last. Read your contracts and go over them with a fine tooth comb people. These salespeople are only out to hustle you for every dollar.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Went to get service from US cellular. They gave me a price quote and assured me there were no hidden cost. Spent three months trying to resolve this and no one wanted to resolve the issue! Now I am stuck with a bill $20 more than quoted as I am in contract. Do not buy business from this company. You will be sorry you did!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have been with U.S. Cellular for 20 plus yrs. My old phone died and I needed a new one for a business trip. I walked into the Portage, WI store and was told that I was able to get a free phone. I thought sure why not. After all free is free... Right? Wrong, my free phone cost $125.00, I was in a hurry and had to go. By the way they also changed my billing cycle that was another $150. I will never step into a U.S. Cellular store again. Ever. 20 yrs of service that they care so little of their loyal customers.

Original review: March 2, 2018

This carrier started with me at a low $15 a month rate. The more minutes and data I used the greater the price I paid for talk minutes and data, except the rate went up exponentially. A data and talk minutes rate increase much much higher than another cell company would raise the rate. In addition, I cancelled my plan with them before it was set to expire and renew for a new month and they insisted on charging me for the new month anyway for services I had cancelled and didn't want.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I was a customer with AT&T. My contract ended and I wanted to try something new. My wife and I went to US Cellular and we had decent customer service. They had told me that my bill will be around $138.00 with 2 phones and a tablet every month. About 4 months in my contract my bill went up around $162.00. I called customer service and complained about my bill. They had told me that they changed my Data. I was shocked because they didn't notify me of any changes. For 5 months they have been rearranging my bill. They told me that I was back down to $138.00 and the next bill would be $162.00 again. I went as far as paying off one of the phones and taking off protections off both phones which, they told me that the phone bill would be $103.00. My last bill was $127.00. I am sick and tired of the lies. I will never go back again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I called to cancel my account on January 17, 2018. Because of some 'problem' that occurred on their end I was not able to cancel at that time. One of their service reps finally got the problem fixed. He told me that they needed to credit my account back to January 17. U.S. Cellular will not do that.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

U.S. Cellular's customer service is horrible and they have prepaid cards at Walmart for $45 6G and then after puchase I was contacted and told that plan is no longer available and couldn't get my money back. I was expected to spend an additional $5 for the next plan available. I paid for the $45 plan because that's what I wanted. I lost 4 days of my previous month due to internet being too slow. I was told by a supervisor that they no longer had the $45 plan I bought and paid for so asked to speak to a.

This woman came on the phone and acted like she couldn't give me that plan because it was no longer available and went through the whole thing with her again until she finally, after trying to get me to spend more money, and telling me that plan wasn't available, said, "Oh well. I see I can give you the plan you paid for" and acted like she was surprised that she was able to and that I should act grateful to her for giving me the plan I bought. Somehow, magically, it was available, hum? I think this is a very poor way of treating customers and I will never do service with US Cellular again or will I ever recommend this company to anyone else.

I know that if a company is going to get rid of something they let other companies involved (Wal Mart) know that months in advance. The only reason I changed from Straight Talk in the first place was because we are getting ready to move and our son has US Cellular and did get some service in the middle of nowhere, that's where we are moving.

U.S. Cellular expert review by ConsumerAffairs

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

• Best for: U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs