1.92/5

U.S. Cellular Reviews

646 U.S. Cellular Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

On 09/14/2018 I applied for a cell phone through U.S. Cellular, gave out my private information, paid w/ cc $27.02 as good faith. They sent me 3 emails, two emails were thanking me for choosing U.S. CELLULAR as my new cell phone provider along w/ acct information acct # **, amount of $27.02 was paid, plan was total plan unlimited plus, said it would take 72 hrs for order to be process. After order is process it will then be another additional 3-5 business days for shipping after order is process.

Then today 09/17/2018 I received email saying they were sorry because they don't service area w/ 73068 as zip but there are many people who has US Cellular as their service provider. If they claim not to provide service in my area they need not to have false advertisement saying they provide service no matter where you live. I'm tired of company's not backing up their word & do as they say they can do then turn around and take your money and drop you.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Signed up for the $60 unlimited plan in Maine, because it was essentially all that worked in my area. Now that I am in Alabama, the service is even worse here than in N. Maine! They claim good coverage, but the partner coverage they provide is terrible - actually, worse than that. Calls continually dropped; constantly required to verify the number; spotty quality when connected; throttled data. Do yourself a huge favor: buy two cans of your favorite beans (empty cans, eat the beans and then wash thoroughly), get some decent thread or small rope, string the cans together, pull tight and talk. Your call will be better than this sad, sorry excuse for cell phone service, otherwise known as US Cellular.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

This has been a horrible company to deal with! We have been customers with U.S. Cellular for 13 years now and the monthly bill has gotten outrageous!!! We are paying them, over what we are paying on our mortgage payments just to keep our phones turned on! We are absolutely sick of it and are no longer going to stay with them. We are disgusted at how they treat their customers and do not recommend them to anyone. Our advice would be to find a better company to go with!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I would give them zero stars if possible. First they refused for two years to remove a dead person from the account. Even though my partner had come in with the death certificate, and a power of attorney. Two years it took to remove him. Next they TAKE FOREVER every single time we go there. The latest insult is a continuing plan by the company to make extra money off our account. Because they will charge us an extra $10 to receive a paper bill, we opted for automatic bill pay. What could go wrong?

When, Asheville Savings Bank, was purchased by, First Bank, they sent everyone new cards. Now, not changing the card info was our fault. We forgot so the phones were turned off without warning because the bill was not paid. Why they don't send a nice text message, or email telling us we missed a bill I have no idea. If they can automatically take money from a bank account I assume they can automatically drop you a note when you forget to pay. So, we pay the late fees, reinstate the lines, and go through the motions to change the card information to make sure they will deduct money from the correct bank account.

A month comes and goes, and the phones are turned off without warning again. Why would that happen when there is plenty of money, and a fixed automatic bill pay? Because somehow US Cellular is attempting to remove money from the canceled card which they assured us had been removed from the automatic bill pay. We yet again have to go through too many hours at the store while they fix their mistake. Well, it happened again. Another month has come and past where the wrong card info somehow was used to take money, and of course it is canceled, so no money to be had.

Our phones were yet again turned off without any warning. Every time we have fixed the problem they assure us it is safe. "Don't worry. IT'S AUTOMATIC BILL PAY FF SAKE!" We are taking our business elsewhere. If US Cellular is a respectable company they will remove all late fees, and charges associated with this screwup. We will pay our final bill, and never be customers again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Long time customer (mainly because this is only company that works in our rural area). Received email stating $250 off ANY new iPhone. Went to store and purchased new iPhone SE, only to find out the next day that phone didn't qualify. Nothing in email stating it had to be an iPhone costing at least $650, absolutely nothing. So be very very careful if you receive an ad from them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

The data throttling on my device is horrible even before the high speed data cap is gone. It still throttles itself. I can be sitting with a thousand yards of a cell tower and it makes no difference. I've tried talking to customer service on the matter and they pretty much just read off a script and say something along the lines of, "Oh well the cell towers are being worked on in your area," which is a lie because I went directly to the US Cellular store in town and asked them about cell towers being worked on in my area their reply was, "There isn't any being worked on." My speed jumps from 4G LTE to 3G and then to 1x in that order. Shortly I start getting on Facebook or watching YouTube and my wife has the same phone with the same issues. It's not the phone. It's the carrier that's to blame and they simply won't do anything to rectify it.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I've had U.S. Cellular for at least 4 years. I never had this issue until we moved everything into my husband's name and now they're saying they've been doing this for a few years which is untrue. I've never had it happen while it was in my name. It started off with our new plans we didn't know when our new bill cycle ended and when the bill was due yet since we didn't receive the paper copy so we got disconnected. Okay no big deal. I called to find out how much we owed paid it and moved on with reconnect fees. I also found out that when we signed on we were supposed to be on an unlimited plan and they only put one phone on the plan and the other phone was not unlimited so they corrected that for us and I was expecting to have a fluctuating bill for that reason for the next bill or two.

So when it came time to pay I asked how much was owed they said this amount was past due and I paid it. And the next bill I hadn't figured out quite when her due date was and got turned off and call them right away and paid what they said was past due. I also asked why my next bill would be so high and that's where the problem began. I was supposed to be billed approximately $247 a month and my next bill was showing $362. I knew I had to reconnect fee which would total $50 hours but the extra 65 I was unsure where it came from. I was told that since my line was suspended before they automatically assume that I needed more time to pay and moved part of my bill to the next bill without me asking. So when I thought I was paying off my past due I wasn't really paying off what was all past due they were taking a portion and adding it to the next bill so then the next bill is higher without me realizing it.

I just thought that it was because of the plan change. This billing practices should be illegal. If I cannot make my payment I can call and make an arrangement to pay a portion of it at a time. They should not be assuming and taking some of my bill and moving it to another bill without me knowing because when I believe I'm caught up and the next bill comes I'm assuming I'm going to have to pay $247. And then surprised I actually owe 362 and then I may not have that amount and I may get disconnected and have another $50 reconnect fee and they're going to just move some of my bill over without me knowing again so that it happens again the next month.

And of course their responses I should just look at my bill and I would see that some of it would have gotten moved over. At that point it would be too late when they take a portion of your bill and move it to the next bill without telling you. You don't find out until that next bill is billed and then it is too late to do anything. If I call to pay my bill and they tell me my past due is this amount that should be the amount that I owe not what I owe minus what the computer has decided to move to the next bill and surprise me with. They're acting like I should be grateful that it's trying to help me in some way as if I get disconnected maybe I can't pay my full amount. That's fine ask me I will tell you and set up an arrangement but if I do not don't just assume and move a portion of my bill without me knowing.

And to top it off when they were explain this to me and that I had no choice in the matter if I were to get disconnected it would just assume I can't pay my whole bill and tell me to only pay a portion and move the rest to another bill. I stated that “I don't think that's right and I know other companies don't do that as well” and the lady actually was very snotty and said, “You don't know that.” And when I did tell her that I do know because I used to work for another cell phone company and had friends that worked at other cell phone companies she still wanted to be snotty and say, “You don't know that all the other companies don't do this.” I said, “No I don't know if all of them don't do it but I can tell you a majority of them don't.” I just love it when they say, “Oh you don't know what other companies do so I guess what we do is okay.” I don't think so.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I want to help people to not make the same mistake my family and I did. If you are thinking about switching to US Cellular, JUST DON'T! I had my prior phone carrier for over 15 yrs but sadly they didn't have towers in our current town. So I had no choice but to give US Cellular a try. It has been nothing but a living nightmare. They tell you one price but then charge you whatever they please. They will not help you either, they're just money hungry. I have never in my life dealt with such rude and UNPROFESSIONAL people! They are thieves and will TAKE every penny they can get. Please do some research on reviews with them before you choose them. They are HORRIBLE! I AM ACTUALLY MOVING OUT OF THIS TOWN JUST SO THAT I CAN SWITCH PHONE PROVIDERS... SMH. If I could give them a -10 stars, I most certainly would! Totally disgusted with US CELLULAR.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I purchased 2 iPhone X's, 2 phone cases, 2 glass screen protectors totaling $2252 at the US Cellular 33 Hogan Rd, Bangor Maine location. My complaint is simply that the salesperson told me that this phone would charge on my wireless charger that came in my car from the factory. I told him that the vehicle is a 2016 GMC and he still said (with conviction), "Yes. It will charge." The phone will not charge as the vehicle does not have the Qi technology. I called and spoke to the Manager at this location and all he would do was say that any one of his salespeople would have told me the same exact thing and none of his employees would know any different. He also went on to tell me that he will stand behind all of his employees.

It was a very simple situation and all I wanted to hear was... "I am so sorry that my salesperson told you that and if you are unhappy you can return it at any of our locations" (which he did say that I could return it). All I was asking him was to "own" it and all he would do was defend his salesperson. I would not have purchased this phone if I knew at the time that it would not charge in my car, I would have purchased a phone that would. I have been a US Cellular customer for 20+ years and that obviously does not mean anything to this company. I understand that you need to support your employees, but without customers, you won't need employees.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have had my cell service for almost 2 years. In those two years we have had nothing but trouble. I guess you could have said this is my fault because my instincts said do not do this. I put down a 250.00 deposit that I was told by the gentleman who sold my daughter and I the phones that I would get it back in 6 months. That did not happen. Have not paid my phone since April. My phone is broke. I cannot see the screen, get my info off of it or retain any of my items on the phone. I have called several times and all I get is the runaround. As soon as I am back to work I will be switching phone companies. I am sorry to say I will not recommend this phone company.

Resolution response: July 21, 2018

They refund me the full amount and I can now say could recom this service.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I had a great experience when I first went this carrier and went back 2nd time at the end of the month. I want to change my plan. Told them what I need and they did not give me what I ask for. Ask for a refund. Never got and I went back to my old carrier. Glad I did.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I had US Cellular while living in SE Kansas. I bought a Samsung Note 4 on eBay (after checking with US Cellular TWICE to make sure it was clear and they could activate). They activated it and collected money from me for 3 plus years. When I moved to Lawrence I wanted to change providers but still use my Note 4. US Cellular said it was unlocked, yet I could not get it activated with any provider. I called US Cellular and was told that they had no record of me using that Note 4 and that it was blacklisted.

We went back and forth and they are insisting I never used it with them and they cannot take it off the blacklist. They keep saying I must have another Note 4, like calling me a liar. I have only owned one Note 4, and you activated it. Now I have a phone I cannot use or sell because you refuse to correct the blacklisting error. I am now with Cricket, paying $20 a month less and getting better service. I had to buy another phone, thanks to you. You have lost a customer for life and I will share my experience with others.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have had US Cellular for 10+ years...I have lived in the same area all of this time. Over the past 6 months, my service is going from LTE to 3G and 1x and dropping calls left and right. Both my mom and dad just switched over and my dad drops EVERY call he makes. They are in the same area as me. I have a friend who actually called to complain to US Cellular and they told her it must just be a fluke. Really. A fluke. My battery starts out at 100% during the day and with minimal usage is at 30% by noon- this is a NEW phone with no applications running in the background...it's just searching for tower signals constantly! I have spoke with my boyfriend and we are switching to a different carrier, it's not worth the hassle and dismissiveness of the carrier.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Their coverage service is great. However, if you have a billing issue, cross your fingers, hope, and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Watch your billing if you don't have unlimited everything. They will bite you if you travel outside your area, or roam outside. I was in the middle of nowhere Nevada - between Elko and Wells. Had great service, however I was surprised with nearly a $1000 cellular bill... because of the 'late roaming' charges... and claims I was 'over my minutes.' When the calls were put on a spreadsheet, and sorted by actual date of the calls, I was 'within' the limits. But because of the delays in their 'out of carrier' minutes reports, they calculated them at 'when they were reported' rather than when the calls were made. The first time they credited without issue, the second and third time, despite knowing I traveled all over the USA, they refused to apply the math correctly. It was a huge fight...

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have been with US Cellular ever since they had the bag phone and I have been ok with their service. There has been many issues but we continued to stay with them. But now for the last three years their coverage areas that they say gets good signals has consistently gotten worse. They advertise on television that they can make a phone call from the dessert. If that’s true why can’t I make a call from my home. I have most of the time no service or 1 bar. My calls won’t go out and they won’t come through. Text messaging is extremely slow sending with call failed constantly. Sending a picture is a joke.

For the past year we have been so discussing along with 1,000’s of customers in our area. It is not only at our homes but on the highway, in a building, at church in the store that we absolutely cannot use our phones. Something needs fixed or the company needs to quit lying about the coverage. We live in Stigler, Enterprise, Porum, Whitefield, Longtown areas, all in Oklahoma where the service is hard to get. Aggravation does not even describe how we feel. Yet they have one of the only services for cellphones in our area. Upset customers.

Original review: June 13, 2018

This wireless carrier is good on monthly price for unlimited services but their service is hit and miss when out of town or out of state. Was recently traveling to SC and didn't have good reception through TN, KY, IL and SC. There was a cell tower right outside where we were staying in SC and still we had no service, had to go several miles up the road to get service/reception. Contacted U.S. Cellular when we got back home to MO and was told we had to contact them from where we were not getting service, this was not possible, we had no service to contact them with. Very disappointed in their service.

Original review: June 9, 2018

6 GB of phone data, 1 GB of tablet data for less than $55/month. Good customer service either in store or on phone. Coverage sometimes puts you in roam mode, or low signal strength depending on where you're at. Not always 4G service.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Been with U.S. Cellular for over 15 years and never been really happy with them. I should switch but never did. Should switch to Verizon.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I first told the rep who assisted me that I did not want to pay a lot of money initially maybe $30-$40 and that my credit was bad. He ran my credit and said it went through for the phone and he said I qualified for the Samsung Galaxy J3 (6). Then after I initialed or signed stuff he comes back with they are requesting $80. There is a catch in the terms deposit and downpayment where these are apparently two different things. I told him I didn't even know if I had $80 on my debit card but he just swipes it and it goes through. Then he tells me I have a credit and overpayment of $40. He could not seem to explain why but he said it will come off my first bill.

When I get my first bill it was for over $170 and no $40 credit was taken off. I was told that my bills would be $40 or under if I signed up for direct payment from my checking account otherwise they would be $50 month. Thank goodness I had not yet signed for that direct payment to be taken. The phone alone was supposed to be only $3.00 per month, the service was supposed to be prepaid. I never paid the bill, after receiving the 3rd bill they were only asking for $40 and then it went to a collection agency. I got one month of service and the phone for my $80. I did call a few times and was only able to reach someone one time who denied everything I accused him of saying but yet at the end of the conversation we determined that I had spoken with a different Brian. It's sad because the reception with US Cellular is good where I live and I like the phone very much. I still have the phone, the contract and receipt.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Have been with U.S. Cellular since 1996 never had problem with coverage or service. Compared data plans with others and U.S. Cellular does well by our plans and getting new phones.

Original review: June 2, 2018

You have to almost threaten them when you want to make a change to your program. I spent hours with them to add a member to my group. At first they were unwilling to make the changes I was promised when I started the plan I am with but after letting them know that I would be contacting the FCC and Ombudsman and reporting false advertising, they were more than willing to help me make the changes that I requested.

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO THREATEN A COMPANY TO GET THE SERVICE I WAS PROMISED? If I had not done my research, I could have been taken advantage of. Do a little legwork if you feel you are right. It will pay off in the end. I received excellent service after the threat/promise was made to make the contacts if they didn't honor their agreement.

Original review: May 31, 2018

For two lines, for my daughter and myself, unlimited data and texting, I only pay $140 a month, ALL fees included in that price. No dropped calls, anywhere either of us goes, it's what a cellphone plan is suppose to be like!

Original review: May 30, 2018

My experience begin in 2005, w/ U.S. Cellular. They were the only cell phone provider that gave me cell phone service so I appreciate being their customer. In 2018, my phone service is great and my bill monthly is always the same. Could not ask for better company.

Original review: May 26, 2018

U.S. Cellular has fantastic customer service. However, their reception leaves a lot to be desired. And their data reception is from the Stone age. The price is good with no contacts. I guess I get what I pay for.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Right now the cost is prohibitive but TracFone and their gradually worsening Customer service left me on a search. I might have tried Verizon but I had tried them before and found their cost was said to be one thing but ended up about 30% higher. AT&T had the towers for my TracFone and reception was horrendous. I would stand outside with the speaker on and wave it in the air trying to get a signal. T-Mobile made an offer on the phone so I drove 50 miles to get there. They told me they would never make an offer like that but they could offer me an outrageously high cost. I expressed my disgust with them and walked to my car in the rain. Yes, I drove fifty miles each way to be screwed by T-Mobile. I should have checked Verizon a little closer but now I have two years with U.S. Cellular!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had US Cellular, I ported over to Sprint because they are lower and unlimited means unlimited!!! I paid off the final of bill of 2000.00 5-7-18! I even asked the representative if that was it, he assured me yes it was. I wouldn't receive another bill. My account balance was 0.00! On 5-19-18 lo and behold I got another bill for a past due amount of 49.72! When I called no one seemed to know anything, I was switched from this person to that person, then they hung up on me! That's cool though cause they are getting a call as soon as I get off, and they thought I was pissed before. They haven't seen ** yet I promise!!! #DO NOT USE US CELLULAR. THEY ARE A RIP OFF AND DONT KNOW ANYTHING#.

Original review: May 10, 2018

When I upgraded to smartphone #1 the salesman was an idiot who knew nothing. He told me there would be no extra charges. The bottom line I'm paying $20 per month more and they tried to add tons of extra fees which after hours on the phone some were waived and all they did was apologize for the idiot salesman who still works there but told me I had to pay the extra fees. After 15 years with U.S. Cellular I'm switching to T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular can kiss my butt.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I'm sick and tired of these crooks, I pay for UNLIMITED service and then nobody tells me that really the "unlimited" is on my 22g of data. So now my phone is literally entirely useless. I can not do anything on it without it crashing and turning off. Right now I'm literally paying for an overpriced paperweight and it makes me angry!. Then I call and the woman who "helps" me is so dang rude! I've worked in customer service my whole life and the number ONE rule: you DO NOT treat your customers like crap!!

I was continuously interrupted as I was trying to explain my issue, she kept talking over me with an incredibly bad attitude, and then refused me when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I'm so sick of these people and their lies!! Unlimited data my butt, no tricks or hidden fees and no surprises on your bill is what is advertised and is NOTHING BUT pretty worded lies!!! I literally hate with every fiber of my being this b.s. company and their terrible customer service phone reps. You should be ashamed U.S. Cellular. Shame on you!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I started service with US Cellular in February 2018. They were running a special on data. One line service should’ve been $35. The other line should’ve been $20. With the phones and before taxes my bill should’ve been around $137. For two brand new phones and unlimited data that was a steal and I couldn’t pass that up. So I started my contract. I got $100 per line to spend on cases which was awesome. Until I got my first bill in April, I was billed for two months of service at one time. I wasn’t happy about that. Because I wasn’t excepting to pay $400 in just a few days.

Then my May bill comes out and it’s over $200. The line charges are correct $20 for unlimited total plans, the price of the phones and the price of the device protection. Which added together is what they claimed my phone bill would be. But I’m also being charged an extra $85 for my total plan and other charges. It’s advertised as a plan with no hidden fees. But clearly there are $85 worth of hidden fees that no one at US Cellular can tell me what they are for because I’ve asked multiple times. It’s just ridiculous. I wish I would’ve never went with US Cellular. I’ve been a customer for 3 months and I hate their service so much. I’ve been lied to. I can’t wait to be able to switch to a better company that won’t lie.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I had 4 phone numbers (family plan, me, son, daughter, and uncle) with US Cellular, for over 8 yrs, paying over $260 per mo. which was way OVER costs of SAME services with other companies. At $35 cost per mo. X 4 phones = $140! I was NOT under any 2 yr contract with them to keep all 4 numbers. So I turn off 2 numbers (son & daughter) 1st, then couple months later, my uncle said he could SAVE MONEY, getting a new phone number with same services and told me to shut off his number, he was NOT going to PAY FOR THE number. When I tried to turn OFF uncles number they refused, they said: "When I bought my iPhone 7 Plus, they, THE PHONE COMPANY attached my payment plan to WRONG NUMBER. They attached the new phone to my uncle's number, not my number, they are sorry but it can NOT be switched to correct number, they have NO WAY TO FIX THEIR ERROR."

They refused to correct the ERROR THEY made. The only way for me to keep MY number (I've had since 2007) was to pay in full for phone THEY agreed to sell me on a payment plan. I only agreed to buy phone BECAUSE of payment plan, I did not nor do I have over $600 (left to pay off the phone.) I was ONLY using ONE number. They were forcing me to pay for 2 numbers for 26 months till iPhone was paid off. (phone bill over $160 per mo. X 26 mos. = $ 4,160.00,) this does NOT include the iPhone payment OR $8.99 per month insurance ($8.99X26 mo=$234.00 more) they also force customers to have insurance (costs over $175.00 deductible and then you continue to pay for lost or broken phone) so new phone ONLY really cost them $175 from factory! I did everything I could to work with them to solve their error, they refused to correct.

I was told by their customer's service employee on the phone that she put ALL of this complaint in the 'notes' of my number/account. I asked her to also give her manager a suggestion "THIS IS WHY US CELLULAR IS LOSING CUSTOMERS" and then I gave up on them. My own solution was to switch to a different provider and get a new phone number at a cost of $32.00 per mo. with an AARP discount. ($32.00X26 mo=$832.00) I saved over $3,328.00 (4160-832=$3328.00).

U.S. Cellular expert review by ConsumerAffairs

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

• Best for: U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs