U.S. Cellular

U.S. Cellular Reviews

3.7/5 (453 ratings)

About U.S. Cellular Reviews

U.S. Cellular Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: May 12, 2022

Do not switch out go to U.S. Cellular. The company is terrible. They do not honor promotions or upgrades for the devices. When you purchase a new device you are charged astronomical prices of $100 for activation fees. The customer support (1800) number every single person I spoke to was rude. U.S. Cellular is a terrible company. If you want to be charged outrageous prices and lied to them go to Us cellular. The Internet service is not 5g. Not capable of being used nationwide anywhere. This company (us cellular) is a scam.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I switched 4 lines from Verizon to US Cellular. Since the start (11 months ago) of service, we have experienced horrible cell reception from home and throughout Omaha. Sometimes it will take 15 tries to send a simple text message. After numerous calls to customer service trying to come up with a solution for our inadequate cell service. Their solution was I could purchase a signal booster for $200.00 per Device. This is not a solution. When I asked if they could compensate our bill for the unreliable service I was offered a 25.00 dollar credit. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2022

We decided to add internet to our new US Cellular plan! We got the highest plan they have since we watch Roku. They said it’s unlimited until you get to 300 then it supposedly throttles! Well within 5 days somehow our 300 were used up! And now we can’t watch anyting! Now mind you of the 5 days we were in Iowa City for our son's diagnosis with autism! So how for the love of God could we have used that much in 5 days! And when I called customer service, they didn’t help at all! Told me I had to wait till next month or think about going somewhere else!

Do NOT get scammed by their unlimited family internet plan! We are so mad! And I don’t have time to deal with them giving me the runaround while trying to raise and watch my 4 yr old autistic son! Who uses the internet to help him with his verbal skills! The salespeople lied right to our faces! Who would buy this internet when it’s only good for 5 days and now we have to pay 80$ a month for a piece of plastic that works 5 days out of the month! Worst scam artist company ever!

Original review: April 24, 2022

First and foremost, the actual phone service is horrible. I had zero bars in a lot of areas and less than 2 bars almost everywhere I was in the midwest to include KC. I had to Hotspot off my work phone for nearly 6 months until I could get the customer service to finally let me out of my contract. That's where the troubles only get worse. I was told to first try switching from 5G to 4G LTE which didn't change my service at all. I finally got through to a manager after a week who told me my fee of over $750 per phone would be waived for early termination due to no service. I was also told to turn my phones into the store by a certain date to not be billed for the next cycle. I did that only to be told at the store that I had to mail the phones in.

I did that only to be told my 3rd phone was not cancelled and my bill would go through. I called and got that changed to where I would no longer owe anything. When I asked for confirmation, because I can no longer trust this company to follow through, I was told that notes were out in the system and they can't email me confirmation or even give me any proof that this is how it was handled. Skip forward 2 weeks. I get a bill for $1600. I call customer service again, where after 2 calls and 1 1/2 hours they tell me that they already received the phones and to go ahead and have me pay the $1600 and I will be credited. Are you serious? Do I look like someone that would believe you after all this?

Finally got them to again tell me everything would be waived and this time I have it all recorded, because it is against their policy to send me their notes confirming all of this. I hope this is the last of my business with US Cellular. This is my fair warning to stay far far away from them. Do not fall for their cheap introductory prices. If it is too late for you and you already are customers of this dreaded company, may God have mercy on your soul.

Original review: April 10, 2022

I've been with US cellular for 11 months. When I got my service plan last May the rep in store lied to my face 3 times. Now I'm not receiving a service I pay for. Can't open apps due to no internet connection. I pay for unlimited data! This has been an issue for over a month. Chat..calls..in store..no one has come up with one more quick fix that actually works. I've wasted so much time..effort..gas..for absolutely no positive results. They don't care. I'm still paying my bill in full and that's all that matters. I'm sure if I skipped a month..boom I'm done. Too bad I couldn't do that to them.. Didn't solve my problem? Boom..you're outta here..go home..no job. So I continue to pay..I continue chat..calls and going in store to seek the help they won't come thru with. Today may be the day the ** inside me comes out when I enter their store once again! I'm sick of all the run around I'm getting from us cellular!!!!

Original review: April 4, 2022

They would receive 0 stars but you can't leave a 0 star review. They don't deserve a single star. I cannot seem to get out of their billing cycle. I'm stuck paying for service I no longer have and for my new service. They cannot help you. You are first on hold forever, then transferred from department to department with no one able to provide assistance. Since I canceled and was on a prepaid plan I can no longer log into my account online. But when I call in they say it isn't prepaid and that's why I continue to be billed. I'm going to have to stop payment through my bank if this continues. I would avoid them at all costs.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I sent a detailed chat asking questions about my service and why if I'm not the primary, is their information showing up on my phone. This includes their email and payment information. My questions went unanswered.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I decided to go with U.S. Cellular because a family member had service with them. I got the offer for a free phone and got things started. I bought the screen protector, but it started bubbling in a week. Went to another store and had to get a better screen protector that's done the job, no complaints. I also got the back protector. No biggie. Lately I haven't been able to make some calls that are even in my area code and the call states that this service or number is vacant. Vacant? What does that mean. I called the 611 number and they tried a phone with a different company to see if anything was different. Nope number is vacant. I usually try to look at reviews first, but nope didn't do that. So I'm so not happy. I can't afford to go out and get another phone. I wouldn't recommend US Cellular.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I had an issue with a promotion credit on 2 phones being charged to may account in full. 1st time I called they told me no problem they would take care of it. They didn't so I called back or take care of it so 2 weeks later I called again. I was told, "Sorry there's nothing we can do." When I told them, "I'm sure there is, you told me you would take care of this." I was transferred to a "manager" who told me he was very sorry he would have to take some time to work on it and call me back. Of course he didn't call me back. Why lie to me? I've never had worse customer service by any company I've ever dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

This company wishes they could compare to even Straight Talk in our area. They definitely are the worst local cellular provider in the State of Maine. Having tried this experiment for the past 8 months, I thought I would give them time. If you go to the border of New Hampshire, you get zero service whatsoever. When I asked why, they told me, verbatim, "You are a month by month customer and your data does not have a priority when you are not in the state".

Dropped calls, all the time. Rarely have internet when not on a wireless wifi network, data is garbage. Customer Service, all about sales and commission, if you ain't buying they ain't trying. I have enough, I had to switch to Verizon. I feel like I got robbed and stolen from by this company. If you don't have guarantees in writing with this company, find any other provider. Again Walmart Straighttalk will give you better phone coverage and service than US Cellular. They need to do better or they will fold and be a memory to everyone, not just me.

U.S. Cellular author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

U.S. Cellular Company Information