2.47/5
  • 1 star
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 30, 2017

602 U.S. Cellular Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

First, I get no reception. FB never loads, cannot download games & if one should, it doesn’t work because no reception! Also, I am being billed erroneously - never got my refund for a “free” phone with new account. Spending a fortune every month for a phone that doesn’t work, and where I live, can only get us cellular because they won’t share the tower with anyone else! We’re all trapped by their greed. Can’t even call for help! They need to be investigated! Totally unfair business practices!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

They make too much error. I was once charged for an extra phone that I did not purchase, recently I received a bill for over $1000. I try to explained to them that I was not the person who use up my data, as I left my phone at my fiance's store when I am at work, as I work in corrections and can't take my phone to work.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I switched to U.S. Cellular in 2011. I was impressed with the service and the coverage. The people in the stores were knowledgeable and friendly. Fast forward to 2016-2017. I go online to pay my bill, the website is down for seemingly no reason. Strike one. I had a job with a sales company briefly and there's no coverage anywhere north of Marshfield. Constant roaming and dropped calls up there. Nowadays I enter the stores and people aren't friendly, and most of them have no idea what they're doing. Strike two. Back in August I increased my data plan from 1GB to 2GB. I was told my bill was only going to go up about three dollars. I got the bill and it went up over ten. I went to the store and asked, and all the woman could do was shrug and tell me that's what it was, and there wasn't anything she could do about it. So they outright lied to me. Strike three.

My contract ends next month and I'm not going to renew, most likely going to switch to a more honest company (if there is such a thing). When I bought my first contract phone back in 2007 I was with Alltel. To this day they were the best provider I've ever had. It's too bad they're gone. Today the store put another nail in the coffin when I went in there for a simple screen protector for my Galaxy S5. They claim they no longer carry stuff for the S5. You'd think a store/company would continue to support their products while they're on contract. This company has become very dishonest and unprofessional in the last five years or so, don't waste your time.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

How can you say you’re unlimited when you still limit us on data. You’re liars. And how come you people still check our credit report every time we want a upgrade or new line and you overcharge everyone. I think West Union Iowa U.S. Cellular need to be investigated. Waste of time. Don’t get robbed from these people.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

They don't have the "country coverage" they advertise. More dropped calls than AT&T. They will not provide a booster for bad areas and want to charge 400$ for a booster! Good bye US Cellular!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

We have been a customer of US Cellular for about 20 years. We have found that we receive reception in areas that everyone else has trouble. Our phones have lasted longer and seemed more durable than others. We have very clear connection when others have static. Anytime we considered changing companies we found that we could never get as good of plans than the one we already have. So we highly recommend US Cellular hands down. And nobody in our family or our friends work for or have any stock in US Cellular. I wish we did. I heard their benefits are really good also.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I recently switched to US Cellular and absolutely loved it the first month. I had great signal and data zoomed right along. Watching videos wasn't a problem whatsoever. Today is 11/08/2017 and my data starts over on the 1st. On November 01 my data slowed down drastically. It shows I've already used over 6 GB of data. There's absolutely no way. I have likely used more than normal due to it being extremely slow. Either way I'm extremely disappointed and wish I had never switched.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Automated and recordings, people like to talk to people. U.S. Cellular does a great job. In Iowa, their phones are pricey and they are always changing plans and there is not enough perks for staying with the same provider.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

This company took my minutes and refused to reimburse me. The only reason I continue with them is because they alone pick up in my remote area. But the rates are pretty reasonable.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Great people, but our phones received better signals when we were with Verizon. We had virtually no service in Central California!!! So we are going back to Verizon.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Other than when we travel out of the country the service is great. We have service when we want it. The billing is what everyone is looking for and never a overage.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I have been with U.S. Cellular for over 8 years. Would never change as they have been excellent. I have had other providers that have not been satisfactory. Way to go U.S. Cellular. Highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We have been with U.S. Cellular for 20 Years, always had great service and wonderful people to work with, would Not go anywhere else! Almost never get a call dropped too.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have been with this company for several years and overall I am satisfied with them. They all suck regardless of what anybody thinks. I really hate the new tech this days. JUST WISH WE COULD GO BACK TO THE OLD DAYS. JUST MY OPINION.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I've used the top 3 over the years and I love the quality, price, and customer service of **. Their website is very user friendly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Stealing money from college freshman when no bill is owed - Roughly 2 weeks ago her phone was turned off. When she called customer service all she got was "make a payment". Repeatedly!! She knew there was no amount due but she transferred funds to get her phone on. First week all we could get from anyone was it could take 20 days to get it back and now someone finally contacted her from corporate and said "Now it's on your account. Too late. Sorry." WHAT A SCAM!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I have had an employee partner discount for 6 years. Recently, I received an email to renew my Partner Employee Discount (PED). The email said I could "stop by one of our retail locations to verify that you meet the program's eligibility requirements." I did so on August 3, 2017 and the customer service rep, Josh at the LaVale, MD location said I was "good". Then, on September 27, 2017, I received a "final notice" email. I attempted to call the LaVale location, but was transferred to customer service, who directed me to a web address I could not find on the U.S. Cellular site.

So, on September 31, I went BACK to the U.S. Cellular store in LaVale and spoke with Sandy. I was there for 45 to 60 minutes. She assured me that my discount was "good to go". Today, October 10, 2017 I received TWO (duplicate) letters that I do not qualify for the PED. I drove to U.S. Cellular in LaVale AGAIN (for the 3rd time). I queried about the PED and, in fact, my company is a partner. I handed the rep the two letters and told her to "fix it" as I have spent hours attempting to remedy this confusion. I was told if I do not wait for another customer service rep to help me, I will not get my PED. I am currently looking into other providers.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

As 20 year customers of US Cellular, we remained on the same family plan for over a decade. When we finally moved to smartphones, we were paying about $150/month for 4 lines and slow network speeds. A few years ago we changed plans to get up to 10MB between 3 data lines, and 2 non data lines. I did not want our payment to exceed $200, and was assured it would not. The first bill was $228. I learned that in addition to the wrong plan amount, my discount was removed and not reapplied.

This summer we were over our data limit, and elected to move to an unlimited data plan. AGAIN, I was quoted $210-220/month, and we were charged $355. After review, I was being charged additional fees, and non data lines had data connect fees, basically $140 in overcharges that were not authorized. In conjunction with these errors in billing, I scheduled an online payment on August 1. At the end of August I was notified my account was past due. After checking my account, the payment showed completed, so I was confused how I was past due. It was that review where I found the errors on my billing. After reconciliation of my checking account, the payment showing "completed" never came out of my account which had more than enough funds. The routing and account info had not been changed in the 20 years I had my US Cellular account, so it was not a entry error.

When I brought US Cellular's attention to the issue it was September. They promoted me to pay online. The attempt to pay was met with an error that said my account was locked. I notified US Cellular and they said the lock was removed and to try payment again. Now, mid September, again the payment was rejected. I notified them the payment was still not enabled online. My service was suspended without notice. I had to email a customer service rep I dealt with previously, and he restored our service and agreed to provide requested paper statements to enable me to review the statements and pay by check. That correspondence and payment agreement was written in email.

The record shows a rep called, named Sarah who was extremely rude and acted like a bill collector. She had no concern for my issues, simply wanting payment. I repeatedly told her it was taken care of with Joe. I'm customer service via email, and she persisted. She ended the call by disconnecting and noted I agreed to pay by October 1. It took 2.5 weeks to get the statements and mail payment. On October 3, without warning, my service was suspended at 5:30 pm. I called at 5:46 pm, and the automated system said I would be called back in 4 minutes. No call. At 6:20 I called again and stayed on hold. After 3.5 hours with 3 departments, 7 representatives, and 2 calls, I was met with different stories and different amounts necessary to restore service.

At no point did US Cellular ever acknowledge the error on their website, the billing issues, the bait and switch tactics, the failures in service or consistency, or their reneging on the written, agreed payment plan, let alone did my 20 years of being a customer come into play. In fact, at no point did my 20 years of being a customer have any impact.

When I asked if they would simply restore my service, and trust that check in the mail to arrive based on my 20 years as a customer, I was told they simply wanted payment. It didn't matter that the problem was caused by US Cellular. It didn't matter I was overcharged or proactively reached out to resolve the issue. It didn't matter that I asked what I should get for being a 20 year customer with 5 lines, and plenty of family as customers. My $600 was immediately required, and they didn't care if they lost me as a customer or anyone I associated, just $600. Not a blink of an eye at that. They tried to rip me off. They preferred to lose me as a customer than restore service and wait a few days. What's the point of being a customer with a company like this?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Sometimes long wait or hard to understand on phone when need customer service. Often get different answers depending on who happens to receive the call.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

We use U.S. Cellular in our small business and we have 22 cell phones for our employees. Service is great with reception and reliability for our employees and our clients as communication is a very key factor in our business. We deal with doctors and other health professionals daily.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have a prepaid account so my monthly payment doesn't change and data doesn't stop, just slows down when I go over which is great. Price is good for what I get.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I'm hiding my real name for this review so as to prevent retaliatory action by this company. About a month ago, my girlfriend, her mother, and I all went into U.S. Cellular to change our plan and get new phones. It was the first time in four years we had done so. We had been living under an absolutely horrendous data plan that allowed a maximum of 2GB between the three of us. For many months, we had been exceeding that data allotment and incurring large overage fees. We always paid our bills, but these fees were crippling to our finances. When we went into the U.S. Cellular store to get the plan changed, the salesman promised us that the new unlimited plans offered no hidden fees. He quoted our monthly bill at $230 a month, which isn't bad for three lines and the payments associated with three high-price phones. He charged us the taxes on the phone purchase up front and told us they would not be double-billed.

First month bill comes, and it's for around $325. Almost a hundred dollars more than we were quoted. I noticed the tax charge was on this bill as well. I called the customer service line and was told that the tax was on the bill but the credit for the amount we paid was also on the bill. I asked why the bill was so high then, and the rep chalked it up to the remaining overage charges from our previous plan, plus prorating the two days we were on that old plan for the month. This seemed logical, though I haven't been able to verify her numbers. However, she then told me my next month bill would be about $250 before taxes. Still $20 more than we were promised when we changed plans (and this is before tax). And she told me she'd be crediting $45 on that bill because of our efforts to switch to a data plan that better fit us. At the time, I was pleased as punch, though still confused about the higher cost than what we were promised.

I then called back later in the day (actually just got off the phone) to pay my current bill of around $325. After I paid it, I asked the rep what my next month's bill would be. She told me "$308 including taxes." I fail to understand how I'm paying $60 more than I was promised less than six hours earlier. Even with the credit, this only reduced my bill to $263, still $33 more than the rep promised us our bills would be. I asked her where the increase of $58 had come from in a matter of six hours, and she couldn't give me a straight answer. She just repeated, "The bill is totaled at $308."

I don't know what the legal definition of "no hidden fees" is, but to me it implies that the amount I'm quoted is the amount I pay. Apparently this is not the case with U.S. Cellular. Treat them with extreme prejudice. I highly advise another wireless carrier - after our new phones are paid and our contract is up, we will certainly be switching companies. We have been customers of U.S. Cellular for over 15 years and this is not the first time they have promised something wouldn't happen that later did. How unfortunate that companies like this are just allowed to lie outright to people.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have been with University Town Center US Cellular for many, many years, I called ahead of time to see if I could get 2 more devices and see what my bill would be after I added. I understand they can't quote taxes. I was told by the sale associate my bill would be 340-360. I agreed to this and she also stated that my next bill would be higher since I had connection fees and others. So in August when I got my bill it was higher. I got my statement the next month still high. I got my October statement and it's 186.00 more than the others. I called the store and Brian the manager hung up on me twice, then just brushed me off and said what was done couldn't be changed.

So I tried one more time and got Maranda, she told me it was several times it's not Miranda. She is the one that I dealt with and she remember me, until I told her what was happening then she tried to tell me it was just data charges she quoted. So after Brian would not speak with me again, I call the customer service and got a nice man that took my complain and spoke with for over a hour and a half. Then he connect me with resolution where I got Carl and he assured me he would fix this, customers come first, and he was glad to see all the years I had of the service. After talking to him for almost another hour he said he was gonna contact the store, he literally called me back in 5 min and told me that Maranda did not remember any of this and she doesn't quote prices....

So they want me to return the 2 phones I added which are over 2 months old, and get lightly used phones that they guarantee are less than 15 days old. I said I did not agree why not let my children keep the phones they already have and just adjust my bill. So Carl sent me to Antonio, which told me very short that, they could not help me. And also told me there is no way of contacting the corporate office of US Cellular just a email, which I found not true also.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Say they have partner coverage in an area but then give you grief. Checked in before going on over a month trip... Advised they would limit or disconnect service in the partner area if they decided to. Paying top rate for their service for a family... Time to look elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Very reliable phone & WiFi service!! Have never had a dropped call. WiFi is steady & fast. We live in the mountains and our visitors have mainly Verizon & Sprint. They both have poor reception here!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

They have great reliability, but they are ever increasing costs to customers. I have been a continual customer for 25 years, without ever receiving any perks for loyalty.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I can't afford regular subscriptions so I had to get prepaid service at a price of 38.00 a month and it's great service. I would recommend the prepaid service because I can't think of anything I'm missing. But even though it's just 38.00 including taxes it's still hard to meet the payments 'cause of being on disability.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have always been impressed with the distance with which I can get service while others around me no longer have contact. Customer service by phone is good but employees at stores are not always patient... Especially with older clients who need extra explanation.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

On Sept 9th I left Klamath falls OR helping some friends move to Wisconsin. On Sept 11 I could make a call out on my US Cellular phone. The computer voice prompt me to dial the area code and # I was trying to reach. So I did just that and the Voice prompt repeated itself. 5 more tries same thing over and over so I dialed 611. Same Voice prompt me to dial the area code and #. Now I'm lost. There is no area code for 611#. This went on for 4 days. My bill was due on Sept 14. Then I couldn't call and pay because I had no service fun after they turned my service off for none payment on the 15th. I got 611 to work so they could get their payment and I told them about not being able to make calls out for three days. They refuse to credit my account. After they got my payment at 8 am I couldn't use my again until 4 pm that day. I'm on my way home when the payment service ends Me being a consumer of their service will end!!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

They were helpful when I was trying to decide on a phone. Great service on my phone, and I am able to pay my phone bill online every month. I would highly recommend them to everyone.

U.S. Cellular expert review by ConsumerAffairs

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

• Best for: U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs