1.88/5
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

U.S. Cellular Reviews

Last updated: May 19, 2018

621 U.S. Cellular Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had US Cellular, I ported over to Sprint because they are lower and unlimited means unlimited!!! I paid off the final of bill of 2000.00 5-7-18! I even asked the representative if that was it, he assured me yes it was. I wouldn't receive another bill. My account balance was 0.00! On 5-19-18 lo and behold I got another bill for a past due amount of 49.72! When I called no one seemed to know anything, I was switched from this person to that person, then they hung up on me! That's cool though cause they are getting a call as soon as I get off, and they thought I was pissed before. They haven't seen ** yet I promise!!! #DO NOT USE US CELLULAR. THEY ARE A RIP OFF AND DONT KNOW ANYTHING#.

Original review: May 10, 2018

When I upgraded to smartphone #1 the salesman was an idiot who knew nothing. He told me there would be no extra charges. The bottom line I'm paying $20 per month more and they tried to add tons of extra fees which after hours on the phone some were waived and all they did was apologize for the idiot salesman who still works there but told me I had to pay the extra fees. After 15 years with U.S. Cellular I'm switching to T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular can kiss my butt.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I'm sick and tired of these crooks, I pay for UNLIMITED service and then nobody tells me that really the "unlimited" is on my 22g of data. So now my phone is literally entirely useless. I can not do anything on it without it crashing and turning off. Right now I'm literally paying for an overpriced paperweight and it makes me angry!. Then I call and the woman who "helps" me is so dang rude! I've worked in customer service my whole life and the number ONE rule: you DO NOT treat your customers like crap!!

I was continuously interrupted as I was trying to explain my issue, she kept talking over me with an incredibly bad attitude, and then refused me when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I'm so sick of these people and their lies!! Unlimited data my butt, no tricks or hidden fees and no surprises on your bill is what is advertised and is NOTHING BUT pretty worded lies!!! I literally hate with every fiber of my being this b.s. company and their terrible customer service phone reps. You should be ashamed U.S. Cellular. Shame on you!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I started service with US Cellular in February 2018. They were running a special on data. One line service should’ve been $35. The other line should’ve been $20. With the phones and before taxes my bill should’ve been around $137. For two brand new phones and unlimited data that was a steal and I couldn’t pass that up. So I started my contract. I got $100 per line to spend on cases which was awesome. Until I got my first bill in April, I was billed for two months of service at one time. I wasn’t happy about that. Because I wasn’t excepting to pay $400 in just a few days.

Then my May bill comes out and it’s over $200. The line charges are correct $20 for unlimited total plans, the price of the phones and the price of the device protection. Which added together is what they claimed my phone bill would be. But I’m also being charged an extra $85 for my total plan and other charges. It’s advertised as a plan with no hidden fees. But clearly there are $85 worth of hidden fees that no one at US Cellular can tell me what they are for because I’ve asked multiple times. It’s just ridiculous. I wish I would’ve never went with US Cellular. I’ve been a customer for 3 months and I hate their service so much. I’ve been lied to. I can’t wait to be able to switch to a better company that won’t lie.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I had 4 phone numbers (family plan, me, son, daughter, and uncle) with US Cellular, for over 8 yrs, paying over $260 per mo. which was way OVER costs of SAME services with other companies. At $35 cost per mo. X 4 phones = $140! I was NOT under any 2 yr contract with them to keep all 4 numbers. So I turn off 2 numbers (son & daughter) 1st, then couple months later, my uncle said he could SAVE MONEY, getting a new phone number with same services and told me to shut off his number, he was NOT going to PAY FOR THE number. When I tried to turn OFF uncles number they refused, they said: "When I bought my iPhone 7 Plus, they, THE PHONE COMPANY attached my payment plan to WRONG NUMBER. They attached the new phone to my uncle's number, not my number, they are sorry but it can NOT be switched to correct number, they have NO WAY TO FIX THEIR ERROR."

They refused to correct the ERROR THEY made. The only way for me to keep MY number (I've had since 2007) was to pay in full for phone THEY agreed to sell me on a payment plan. I only agreed to buy phone BECAUSE of payment plan, I did not nor do I have over $600 (left to pay off the phone.) I was ONLY using ONE number. They were forcing me to pay for 2 numbers for 26 months till iPhone was paid off. (phone bill over $160 per mo. X 26 mos. = $ 4,160.00,) this does NOT include the iPhone payment OR $8.99 per month insurance ($8.99X26 mo=$234.00 more) they also force customers to have insurance (costs over $175.00 deductible and then you continue to pay for lost or broken phone) so new phone ONLY really cost them $175 from factory! I did everything I could to work with them to solve their error, they refused to correct.

I was told by their customer's service employee on the phone that she put ALL of this complaint in the 'notes' of my number/account. I asked her to also give her manager a suggestion "THIS IS WHY US CELLULAR IS LOSING CUSTOMERS" and then I gave up on them. My own solution was to switch to a different provider and get a new phone number at a cost of $32.00 per mo. with an AARP discount. ($32.00X26 mo=$832.00) I saved over $3,328.00 (4160-832=$3328.00).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U.S. Cellular?

Original review: April 23, 2018

Both I and my friend were customers of separate accounts at US Cellular for more than 15 years. When we decided to combine and switch to Verizon 3 years ago, we both went to the local USC store to close the accounts. All contract requirements had been met. Both accounts were closed and paid in full. I was fine but my friend received a bill for the next 2 months for $136. Explained the situation to various reps. of USC by phone, in person and in writing. We assumed they understood their mistakes and made the corrections. Then after 3 years, my friend’s FICO score took a 100 point hit because of a $136 unpaid USC invoice. We no longer need credit or care about a FICO score but we wanted to warn others to be aware of US Cellular’s accounting tactics.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I was a US Cellular customer for near a decade. Service and cost was the reason for signing up. Then their costs started going up and they started to act like a one of the large cell providers like Verizon or AT&T. No more small town relationship and customer service went downhill. So I decided to shop. I found a new carrier with better options and monthly cost saving of $80. That's a lot when you consider I have a family of 6 and 5 lines of service.

After starting my new service and closing with US Cellular; I of course thought my final bill was my final bill. Wrong!!! I started receiving monthly final bills ranging from $43 to $56. I would call for an explanation and they could not figure out why I had this continuing bill. This continued for 6 months. Then out of nowhere and without a customer service call from US Cellular, I had a credit collector contact me for a final balance of $220. With no reason except to collect on the unpaid balances for the last 6 months that "US Cellular could not explain" to me the reason for the charges. So I paid the bill to relieve the burden and anxiety. 6 months later, I was sent a new letter from a collector asking for $42. Need I say more. Still not resolved. Needless to say, stay away from US CELLULAR and when you close your account with any company get a letter stating you owe them nothing more.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Don't trust US Cellular or anything they say. Me and my wife re-signed up with them for new phones back around November and we have had only one billing that has been accurate so far. We were told on an email that we could get the S8 for $10 a month and a gift card. When we arrived to the store we were told if we took the cards it would be $13 a month apiece for the phones. A few weeks later after paying our taxes for the phones we were supposed to get a bill for around $170 with tax, instead it was over $220. We called and were told it would be 90 days before we received the credits to make our phones $13 a month and until then we would pay $25 a month for them. 90 days later I get a bill for $170 but that is only because I have 90 days worth of credits.

A couple of weeks goes by and all the US Cellular customers get a weird text about receiving no phone credits because our old phones weren't turned in. We called and were assured that there was a glitch in the system and that our account could be fixed. They blamed it on a major system malfunction that affected many accounts. I received our last Bill which again was $205, a far cry from 170 but again they are telling me we must WAIT ANOTHER 90 DAYS! WHAT! That's 180 days with no promo credits and a very overpriced bill! I'm going back to Verizon where they own the market and the latest technology, not this OVERPRICED junk. Please do yourself a favor and never sign up with such an incompetent company such as this who can't even control their own billing!

Original review: April 1, 2018

So like a lot of people I shop for the best deals. Got the best deal on a then too phone, (11/2016 iPhone 7) with that I got a tablet for a penny. Yup. Samsung 2 to be exact. Well the iPhone took a nice deuce (wouldn’t read the SIM card) on 1/2018. 1 year 2 months. Garbage phone, have to go to an Apple store to get it repaired. A week out... no thanks. "Can I trade it in on the new iPhone 8." "Nope. It’s a nonworking phone." "Ok. "Oh and I had payment plans on it too. 10 more months." Ok. "Cancel my plan. I go elsewhere." I finally received my final bill. 3/12/18 633$. They tell me not to pay until I get all the credits. Get the final revised bill 3/31/18 at 955$! That was unexpected. Call them for an explanation.

The only reason the tablet was a penny was because I financed it. News to me... so I was conned into it by the salesman when I got it. Fine. "This is more than I expected. Can we make some sort of payment arrangements to take care of this." "Pay this right now, x amount per month." Nope. Basically they wanted all of their money or they were going to send me to collections. Offers to make very reasonable payments. No again. Paid what I could afford at this time but they gave me 30 days to pay the rest... I’m sure I’m not the first and doubt I’ll be the last. Read your contracts and go over them with a fine tooth comb people. These salespeople are only out to hustle you for every dollar.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Went to get service from US cellular. They gave me a price quote and assured me there were no hidden cost. Spent three months trying to resolve this and no one wanted to resolve the issue! Now I am stuck with a bill $20 more than quoted as I am in contract. Do not buy business from this company. You will be sorry you did!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have been with U.S. Cellular for 20 plus yrs. My old phone died and I needed a new one for a business trip. I walked into the Portage, WI store and was told that I was able to get a free phone. I thought sure why not. After all free is free... Right? Wrong, my free phone cost $125.00, I was in a hurry and had to go. By the way they also changed my billing cycle that was another $150. I will never step into a U.S. Cellular store again. Ever. 20 yrs of service that they care so little of their loyal customers.

Original review: March 2, 2018

This carrier started with me at a low $15 a month rate. The more minutes and data I used the greater the price I paid for talk minutes and data, except the rate went up exponentially. A data and talk minutes rate increase much much higher than another cell company would raise the rate. In addition, I cancelled my plan with them before it was set to expire and renew for a new month and they insisted on charging me for the new month anyway for services I had cancelled and didn't want.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I was a customer with AT&T. My contract ended and I wanted to try something new. My wife and I went to US Cellular and we had decent customer service. They had told me that my bill will be around $138.00 with 2 phones and a tablet every month. About 4 months in my contract my bill went up around $162.00. I called customer service and complained about my bill. They had told me that they changed my Data. I was shocked because they didn't notify me of any changes. For 5 months they have been rearranging my bill. They told me that I was back down to $138.00 and the next bill would be $162.00 again. I went as far as paying off one of the phones and taking off protections off both phones which, they told me that the phone bill would be $103.00. My last bill was $127.00. I am sick and tired of the lies. I will never go back again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I called to cancel my account on January 17, 2018. Because of some 'problem' that occurred on their end I was not able to cancel at that time. One of their service reps finally got the problem fixed. He told me that they needed to credit my account back to January 17. U.S. Cellular will not do that.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

U.S. Cellular's customer service is horrible and they have prepaid cards at Walmart for $45 6G and then after puchase I was contacted and told that plan is no longer available and couldn't get my money back. I was expected to spend an additional $5 for the next plan available. I paid for the $45 plan because that's what I wanted. I lost 4 days of my previous month due to internet being too slow. I was told by a supervisor that they no longer had the $45 plan I bought and paid for so asked to speak to a.

This woman came on the phone and acted like she couldn't give me that plan because it was no longer available and went through the whole thing with her again until she finally, after trying to get me to spend more money, and telling me that plan wasn't available, said, "Oh well. I see I can give you the plan you paid for" and acted like she was surprised that she was able to and that I should act grateful to her for giving me the plan I bought. Somehow, magically, it was available, hum? I think this is a very poor way of treating customers and I will never do service with US Cellular again or will I ever recommend this company to anyone else.

I know that if a company is going to get rid of something they let other companies involved (Wal Mart) know that months in advance. The only reason I changed from Straight Talk in the first place was because we are getting ready to move and our son has US Cellular and did get some service in the middle of nowhere, that's where we are moving.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I signed up with US Cellular and terminated my contract with Verizon. I was hesitant, I had been with Verizon for 16 years. However, I would save a small amount each month now that I was adding my son onto my account. I was told when I signed up they would reimburse me my final bill from Verizon due to terminating early. I asked for extra clarification on this and was assured I would be reimbursed in approx 8 weeks. I wasn’t going to switch if I was not, because the benefit in cost would not make any sense and I knew I liked Verizon’s service for the past 16 years.

I sent my final bill notice into US Cellular. In a couple weeks time I received an email stating I had been given a promotional credit when I signed up and therefore was not eligible for reimbursement. I was now responsible for this 450.00 bill from terminating my contract with Verizon. Needless to say, I do not recommend anyone to US Cellular. It was not a pleasant experience and I regret signing with them. I was misled into signing a contract and quite bluntly I was lied to regarding the incentives. This is not the experience I was expecting and it is most certainly not something I experienced with Verizon the previous 16 years. When I am able, I will be switching back to Verizon and I will stay with them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I had a US Cellular account, cellular data plan for an iPad, which I purchased and paid the service for on behalf of my Grandfather. I moved out of state, US Cellular would not send me a statement out of their regional service area. (They offer nationwide coverage, what would stop me from purchasing US Cellular service and never using it in their territory?) Their solutions were that I use the device to make payments and track usage or set up an online account. I don't have the device in my possession, as it was a gift, so option one is out.

Ok, I'll set up an online account, but you also need the device to set up an online account as it sends a request for verification to the device. All this was occurring while I was on active duty orders and had minimal access to phone service and almost no access to the internet. My spouse was finally able to convince US Cellular to set up a login to the account. Which had to have broken all their confidentiality rules, because she was not affiliated with the account and did not have power of attorney at that time.

When I came off orders the account and contract had only a few months left. I called in and requested to stop service and make a final payment. I paid the remaining balance for the device and the remaining months of service in advance. Now three years later I am getting calls from a creditor about a remaining balance left at US Cellular. A balance I never received notice of because they will not send a statement out of their region. Every interaction I had with US Cellular left me feeling frustrated as well as the situation being unresolved. They can get away with this poor customer service because they are the only ones to offer reliable cell service in the rural areas of the Midwest.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Never again. We used and got a hardline phone service in our home in Maine. After a few months, we decided to discontinue the service. When I tried to return the modem, I was told by a service rep in one of their stores that she couldn't take possession of the phone nor could I pay the bill ("it's illegal"). When I told her that was ridiculous - it's THEIR modem and THEIR service! - she called their customer service number. They told her I needed to call a separate number. I called the number and they told me they couldn't take it either. I told them I am NOT going to pay for their modem. So here I am, with a modem I don't want and an outstanding balance (because they charged me). I am still waiting to hear from them. Unreal. Never, never again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

They tricked us into switching to them without giving us all the information. They said no contract but there really is a contract if you finance a phone with them. My phone was not working properly and they refused to let me finance a different phone. I had only had it a month.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Continuously calling customer service because monthly bill is always different. Sales representatives will lie right to your face showing what your bill will be after maybe an upgrade or change in service and seems it’s always more than first told. Advertisement saying no hidden fees. Haha. I’m switching to a prepaid company and pay for my phone upfront.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

First, I get no reception. FB never loads, cannot download games & if one should, it doesn’t work because no reception! Also, I am being billed erroneously - never got my refund for a “free” phone with new account. Spending a fortune every month for a phone that doesn’t work, and where I live, can only get us cellular because they won’t share the tower with anyone else! We’re all trapped by their greed. Can’t even call for help! They need to be investigated! Totally unfair business practices!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

They make too much error. I was once charged for an extra phone that I did not purchase, recently I received a bill for over $1000. I try to explained to them that I was not the person who use up my data, as I left my phone at my fiance's store when I am at work, as I work in corrections and can't take my phone to work.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I switched to U.S. Cellular in 2011. I was impressed with the service and the coverage. The people in the stores were knowledgeable and friendly. Fast forward to 2016-2017. I go online to pay my bill, the website is down for seemingly no reason. Strike one. I had a job with a sales company briefly and there's no coverage anywhere north of Marshfield. Constant roaming and dropped calls up there. Nowadays I enter the stores and people aren't friendly, and most of them have no idea what they're doing. Strike two. Back in August I increased my data plan from 1GB to 2GB. I was told my bill was only going to go up about three dollars. I got the bill and it went up over ten. I went to the store and asked, and all the woman could do was shrug and tell me that's what it was, and there wasn't anything she could do about it. So they outright lied to me. Strike three.

My contract ends next month and I'm not going to renew, most likely going to switch to a more honest company (if there is such a thing). When I bought my first contract phone back in 2007 I was with Alltel. To this day they were the best provider I've ever had. It's too bad they're gone. Today the store put another nail in the coffin when I went in there for a simple screen protector for my Galaxy S5. They claim they no longer carry stuff for the S5. You'd think a store/company would continue to support their products while they're on contract. This company has become very dishonest and unprofessional in the last five years or so, don't waste your time.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

How can you say you’re unlimited when you still limit us on data. You’re liars. And how come you people still check our credit report every time we want a upgrade or new line and you overcharge everyone. I think West Union Iowa U.S. Cellular need to be investigated. Waste of time. Don’t get robbed from these people.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

They don't have the "country coverage" they advertise. More dropped calls than AT&T. They will not provide a booster for bad areas and want to charge 400$ for a booster! Good bye US Cellular!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

We have been a customer of US Cellular for about 20 years. We have found that we receive reception in areas that everyone else has trouble. Our phones have lasted longer and seemed more durable than others. We have very clear connection when others have static. Anytime we considered changing companies we found that we could never get as good of plans than the one we already have. So we highly recommend US Cellular hands down. And nobody in our family or our friends work for or have any stock in US Cellular. I wish we did. I heard their benefits are really good also.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I recently switched to US Cellular and absolutely loved it the first month. I had great signal and data zoomed right along. Watching videos wasn't a problem whatsoever. Today is 11/08/2017 and my data starts over on the 1st. On November 01 my data slowed down drastically. It shows I've already used over 6 GB of data. There's absolutely no way. I have likely used more than normal due to it being extremely slow. Either way I'm extremely disappointed and wish I had never switched.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Automated and recordings, people like to talk to people. U.S. Cellular does a great job. In Iowa, their phones are pricey and they are always changing plans and there is not enough perks for staying with the same provider.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

This company took my minutes and refused to reimburse me. The only reason I continue with them is because they alone pick up in my remote area. But the rates are pretty reasonable.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Great people, but our phones received better signals when we were with Verizon. We had virtually no service in Central California!!! So we are going back to Verizon.

U.S. Cellular expert review by ConsumerAffairs

U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless carriers in the United States. It was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company offers traditional plans and no-contract, unlimited prepaid plans, called Simple Connect Plans, for basic phones and smartphones.

• Canada and Mexico: U.S. Cellular customers can make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to individuals in Canada and Mexico for a single additional fee each month.

• Included features: All of U.S. Cellular’s Simple Connect Prepaid Plans come with several features, including three-way calling, call waiting and voicemail. Some plans also have caller ID.

• Refer-A-Friend: U.S. Cellular customers can earn up to $550 when they refer individuals who sign up for a U.S. Cellular prepaid plan or contract plan. Both the new and the existing customer receive $50.

• Plans: All Simple Connect Plans for smartphones come with unlimited talk and text. Consumers can decide how much high-speed data they want and choose a plan that provides more or less data, depending on their needs. Additional data is free but is not 4G LTE.

• Refill options: Customers can refill their minutes online, by phone, in person or by purchasing a refill card at major national retailers. Customers can also sign up for automatic refills.

• Best for: U.S. Cellular Simple Connect is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs