Shop Now

3.2/5 (2579 ratings)

About Pure Talk

Pure Talk offers nationwide coverage with no contracts and no hidden fees. We make the process of switching as simple as it can get. No need to buy a new phone or get a new number; with Pure Talk, you can keep both! Our customer service team is located in the US & is ready to help you at any time. Contact us today to learn more about plans available and how you can switch & start saving!

Pros

• Affordable plans
  • No hidden fees
  • Ideal for seniors
  • Reliable coverage

Cons

• Service lags once data caps
  • Does not operate its own network

Bottom Line

Pure Talk provides cellphone coverage at an affordable price and a variety of discounts. The company offers and services designed for older adults with no hidden fees.

Top Pure Talk Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was tired of paying too much for cell service… I took the jump from a big carrier to Pure Talk and won’t be going back. The service is absolutely all I need, works as I expect, ...

Verified

My family had Sprint for many years and we've always thought the price was not worth what we were getting… We made the switch to Pure Talk and we couldn't be happier! We are savin...

What is Pure Talk?

Pure Talk is a cellphone service that uses AT&T’s network (which covers 99% of America) but offers much cheaper coverage. It’s a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) and has no contracts or hidden fees. While all Pure Talk coverage plans are unlimited, data speed slows notably once you’ve reached your monthly allowance. You can cancel at any time or talk to the company's customer service representatives if you have questions.

Pure Talk plans

Pure Talk plans are pretty economical; typical plans start at $10 monthly for unlimited talk and text with a high-speed data allowance of 2 GB, and prices peak at $22.50 for unlimited talk and text with 20 GB of high-speed data. It’s important to note that though there isn’t a data cap, service slows down once you surpass your cap for high-speed access.

Pure Talk is suitable for seniors because of its affordable plans and low data allowance. It offers a risk-free guarantee for the first month, so you can try it out and get a refund if you’re not satisfied.

Pure Talk costs

Pure Talk offers several monthly plans based on its 4G LTE data allowance, which is ideal for streaming video and audio. At the time of publishing, prices are:

• 2 GB: $10 a month
  • 4 GB: $12.50 a month
  • 6 GB: $15 a month
  • 10 GB: $17.50 a month
  • 20 GB: $22.50 a month

Pure Talk also provides family plans. One additional line garners 10% off the total bill; discounts for two extra lines run up to 20%. The company’s friend referral program offers existing customers $20 account credits for referring new customers.

Pure Talk FAQ

Is Pure Talk any good?
Pure Talk is a solid option if you don’t need a lot of data or if you’re looking for an economical family plan.
What cell towers does Pure Talk use?
Pure Talk is on the AT&T network, and its coverage is widely available.
Can you keep your number with Pure Talk?
Yes, you can use your existing number with Pure Talk. All you need is a PAC code from your previous provider.
How do I activate Pure Talk?
You can activate your Pure Talk account within minutes by selecting “Activate Service” on their site or bfollowing instructions included with your purchase.

Is Pure Talk legit?

Pure Talk is a legitimate cellphone service provider that offers no-contract phone service. If you’re looking for more affordable mobile coverage, Pure Talk could help you save on your bill. It’s probably most ideal for senior citizens and those who don’t require large data plans.

Pure Talk Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pure Talk?

Original review: June 26, 2021

So far we are pleased with this arrangement with PureTalk. Your advertisements on Limbaugh and Hannity work! The price we are paying with you is about 45-50% less than what we were paying previously with Verizon. I am already considering the option to add two more lines because of the awesome price. However, I must say a few things:

* The set up process was a bit technical.

* Voice mail was not automatic and had to be requested.

* Mobile hotspot is still an issue. Even though my ticket indicated the service was enabled on your end, there is preference given to iPhone compatibility and I exclusively use droids. The only way to get this to work is to add ",dun" to the APN type under APN settings. So whatever automated updates you send to the phone when this is installed, there are missing parameters.

* Finally, there are some text messages that simply do not arrive that we find out about later on both of our phones.

I'm not griping about this, I just wanted to give you some straightforward evaluation of my experience. I'm a technical person so the extra steps are just something that I can do and file for future reference if needed. Overall, I would say this is a somewhat comparable service to what we had but at a greater savings.

Pure Talk response

Hi there, Chuck! We regret to hear abour your experience with Pure Talk thus far. Regarding the hotspot issue, this feature is compatible with iphone 6s and above but it is not guaranteed for all android devices. As some software version are blocked on our network, while others are not capable of using the feature. Regarding sending and receiving text messages, It seems that the APN settings within your device may need to be reset. Listed below will be the instructions if you would like to reset them yourself. You may restart your device and test to see if this feature is available. Overall, we are delighted to hear you are enjoying our services. Happy Savings! An agent will be reaching out to you shortly to provide further assistance. Thank you for your feedback as it always helped us to improve the Pure Talk experience.

Updated:07/02/2021

Greetings, Chuck! We attempted to contact you via phone and email but were unable to reach you. If you are still in need of assistance, please reach out to us at 1-877-820-7873.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2021

Phone works well. Has problems with data sometime. I still like the system. It's much cheaper than Verizon so I'm pretty happy. That needs to be repaired. If you could get a better signal for your data that would help a lot. Other than that I am pretty happy. One other thing would be when you are going on to your billing account it does not seem to accept autopay for some reason so I would like you to check that out too. I tried to set it up at auto pay could not.

Pure Talk response

Hi there, Timothy! We are pleased to hear that you are enjoying your Pure Talk service! Regarding your issues with accessing your data, it seems that the APN settings within your device may need to be reset. Listed below will be the instructions if you would like to reset them yourself. An agent will be reaching out to you shortly to provide further assistance. If you would like to update your payment method, please log in to your account portal via our website online at www.puretalkusa.com. Once you have logged in, click on the "Billing" tab and select Autopay Enrollment. You will need to enter new card information along with CVV and expiration date, then click submit. It will take up 24 hours to process the payment. Your card information must match the billing address. Please note, you will not experience any disconnection within your service. Thank you for your feedback as it has always helped us to improve the Pure Talk experience.

Updated: 05/26/2021

Greetings, Timothy! We attempted to contact you via phone and email but were unable to reach you. If you are still in need of assistance, please reach out to us at 1-877-820-7873.

Original review: March 6, 2021

We have never been able to get this new phone to download text message photos. I contacted Nokia and they reset the phone, but it still won't work. The system we need for my wife's pacemaker monitor, over the phone, won't work on this phone for some reason, but it still works on the one phone we have left over from Verizon. Still, we wish we could get the Nokia fully functional. Thanks.

Pure Talk response

Greetings, Gary! We regret to hear of the issues you have experienced with your MMS messages. It seems that the APN settings within your device may need to be reset. Listed below will be the instructions if you would like to reset the APN settings yourself. An agent will be reaching out to you shortly. Thank you for your feedback!

Edited: 3/12/2021

Greetings, Gary! We attempted to contact you via phone and email, but were unable to reach you. If you are still in need of assistance, please reach out to us at 1-877-820-7873.

Original review: March 5, 2021

This is my honest, heartfelt review on my experience with a wireless service provider named PureTalk USA. They are a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MNVO) providing prepaid wireless service to customers anywhere in the United States. Their website can be reached by going to https://www.puretalkusa.com.

I am a disabled (service connected) United States Army veteran on a very fixed income. I am proud to have honorably served our great country in uniform and would do it again if the call came. Having spent nearly 15 years in telecommunications, one of the things I strive for is to find the best wireless service provider that meets some very basic requirements. Here are those requirements I have when searching for a wireless service provider:

1.) U.S. based customer service. Unlike AT&T, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, Verizon and all Mobile Virtual Network Operators under the Tracfone umbrella, PureTalk USA earns a mark on the board because their customer service is 100% based in the United States of America and I do not have to press 1 for English! I am a firm believer if you are going to be giving your personal information to a company for a service to be rendered, my information is safer by keeping it in the same country I reside. Giving things such as address, telephone number, credit card number or a social security number to a foreigner sitting at home with chickens squawking or dogs barking in the background is NOT what I would define as being trustworthy, let alone honest. For those wanting to keep it within our borders, PureTalk USA fulfills that requirement graciously. Everyone speaks English and it’s even with a little southern twang! (grin)

2.) Reliable coverage. I am one who travels a lot for various reasons. One of the things that bothers me more than anything is not being able to use my telephone when I need it most. I am very particular about testing a provider’s service in areas most people don’t venture. Having been in nearly every corner of this great country of ours with PureTalk USA service, their reliability is equal to being a postpaid subscriber of AT&T. Not to mention, they also support Voice over LTE (i.e. VoLTE), commonly referred to as HD calling. It does wonders in clearing up audio during a phone call. PureTalk USA service has not dropped a call and it works in rural America. You can’t beat that with a stick.

3.) Mobile hotspot and USB tethering. Let’s face it. Most people these days are constantly on the go. We live based on our ability to stay connected while traveling and some of us rely on that connectivity for lots of reasons. One of the things that had turned me away from PureTalk USA before was my ability to actually use the data I paid for in the form of a hotspot.

As of this writing, their service supports wireless and USB tethering on iPhones. For those who are Android users, this isn’t something you want to hear but I give my personal assurance it is being worked on. Being a person that uses both iOS and Android daily, I can tell you that investing in an iPhone for the sake of having full network functionality is a small sacrifice, considering the long term value. Another caveat of PureTalk USA is the ability to use their service over Wi-Fi anywhere in North America. It does work well, provided you have an iPhone to do it. The service does need to be enabled by customer service and it doesn’t cost anything.

4.) Price for service. For some, this would be at the top of their review. For me, I put it close to the bottom. To consider using a service, I want to be 100% sure the three previous requirements are met to my personal satisfaction before giving a stamp of approval. My financial investment is ultimately important being on a fixed income. To ensure my investment is being used wisely, I want to thoroughly try it before making a long term commitment. That is not too much to ask. When it comes to the price for PureTalk USA service, it is safe to say that I am saving nearly $30 per month to have the same features that are being offered by the major wireless service providers. To be specific, most all wireless service providers offer a discount to active duty military or veterans.

With GCI in Alaska I was paying $63 per month to have unlimited talk, unlimited text and 15GB of mobile hotspot data. With AT&T I was paying $63.25 per month to have unlimited talk, unlimited text and 20GB of mobile hotspot data. With T-Mobile I was paying $70 per month to have unlimited talk, unlimited text and 30GB of mobile hotspot data. They fail to tell you upfront that if you are roaming domestically on an AT&T, GCI or U.S. Cellular tower, you will be limited to 5GB of high speed data for the entire billing cycle. Pretty sad when you have to call your wireless service provider and tell them you are switching because a disabled veteran was counting on their service to speak to their doctor over video at the VA hospital.

The plan that I am subscribed to with PureTalk USA costs me $48.54 per month and it gives me unlimited talk, unlimited text and 30GB of high speed data, hotspot capable. Mind you, as mentioned before, an iPhone is required to use the hotspot. Best of all, I am not limited to using it in certain parts of our great country! As long as I have coverage, the sky is the limit! I must mention that PureTalk USA does offer a 15% discount for active duty military and honorably discharged veterans.

My closing remarks are as follows: PureTalk USA is owned by a brother who has taken an oath to protect and uphold the United States Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and domestic through honorable military service. PureTalk USA is owned by a brother who stands for our flag, stands for our founding principles and works tirelessly to provide a service to those who appreciate keeping their financial investment within the borders of our great country. I encourage you to understand that others have complained about their customer service being subpar. I would inform you those who have complained are of the mindset seeking instant gratification.

When dealing with PureTalk USA, you must understand that everything is shipped from their facility in Georgia. They have no storefronts. As with all things, it takes time. Further, they are always training new customer service representatives. If you ask a question and don’t get a satisfactory answer immediately, I promise you will definitely get one soon enough. If you are willing to exercise patience, humility and be willing to support a 100% American owned and based wireless service provider, then everything you have read up to this point should come together and make sense.

My experience dealing with PureTalk USA in getting my wireless number ported over was definitely challenging, but after several phone calls with some incredibly dedicated individuals it has all been sorted out. My previous wireless service provider doesn’t do anything automatically and it was an act of humility to get the right information submitted in the initial port request just to make all of this happen. Their customer service representatives will take care of you. They enjoy going above and beyond the call of duty to help someone better their life just a little bit. I can sense that in my dealings with them. They are focused on quality, not quantity.

I promise you this. I personally stand behind this company to the point where I would be honored to work beside them and assist in providing quality customer service because their core values represent the moral fiber that started our country. If you love America and appreciate having customer service that speaks the English language, look no further. PureTalk USA is it!

Pure Talk response

Greetings, Brandin! We are pleased to hear of your satisfaction with Pure Talk and the service in which we provide. Our Customer Service department is always eager to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have. Thank you for your feedback and for your service. It is greatly appreciated. Happy savings!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

We're *thrilled* with our switch to PureTalkUSA! This switch included multiple & significant upgrades for us-- from very simple LG models (years old & definitely not "smart"!) to iPhone 7's (so many bells & whistles & we're still learning the devices). But in addition to a GREAT deal on the phones themselves, the BEST things are the excellent coverage & reliability AND the great plan price options with PureTalkUSA.

The representatives with whom we've dealt were knowledgeable & professional. After decades with our previous carrier/service provider, we anticipated lots of "issues" & problems. There were NONE! Additionally, we're thrilled that PureTalkUSA doesn't "redistribute" any portion of our payments to institutions or causes that we don't support morally, nor would we support financially. For us, that's a HUGE benefit.

Shortly after acquiring my phone, I drove through the mountains of "wild, wonderful West Virginia" where service can drop at any time. My conversation, lasting well over 30 minutes through the middle of nowhere, never faltered. I'm not saying there's total coverage state-wide, but I was duly impressed with the reception through the areas I was travelling. I'm sure I sound like a commercial script but we truly have had a terrific experience and only regret not switching WAY sooner. We've been telling friends & family about PureTalkUSA & hope to hear that some (ALL!) of them have made, or will make, this smart move soon. We'd tell everyone to switch ASAP!!

Pure Talk response

Hi there, Andrea! We are pleased to hear of your great experience with Pure Talk thus far! We are happy that you are enjoying your new iPhone 7 and that you are receiving great coverage. As you have experienced, our Customer Service department is always eager to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have. Be sure to let the friends and family you refer to Pure Talk know that we offer a referral credit that benefits both parties on your monthly service bill. We thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Very good reception and the price is GREAT! We were with the company that says they are #1 in 5G, was not our experience. Very pleased with Pure Talk! We camp and travel quite a bit so getting good service was a must. No proposal far and no regrets.

Pure Talk response

Hello, Bill! Welcome to Pure Talk! We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your Pure Talk service since making the switch! Thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I like the customer service being American. Great friendly service. I'm new to this company and so far I really like the service. It would be nice if this service picked up better in the rural areas. There are too many places that you can't get a signal.

Pure Talk response

Greetings, Lowanda! We regret to hear that you are experiencing service issues within your area. Outdoor coverage may vary from indoor coverage, and may be impacted by local terrain and structures. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. Overall, we're happy to hear that you are enjoying your Pure Talk service! Thank you for your feedback as it always helps us to improve the Pure Talk experience.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I wanted to switch iPhone carrier service to Pure Talk after hearing information about Pure Talk on the radio. I ordered a new iPhone and a new sim card for my husband's phone. The deal was terrific and the plan for both my husband and myself is money saving and the service is still terrific. We are both very happy with Pure Talk.

Pure Talk response

Hello, Claire! Welcome to Pure Talk! We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your Pure Talk service and that you are saving money on your monthly service bill by making the switch. Thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

It was very easy for the transfer, and we saved $95 a month and it was all done within 45 minutes. No change in anything other than the price. We are very happy and we would recommend anyone to make the change.

Pure Talk response

Hello, Scott and Cheryl! Welcome to Pure Talk! We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your Pure Talk service and that you are saving money on your monthly service bill by making the switch. Be sure to let your friends and family know about the great prices we provide as we offer a referral credit that benefits both parties on your monthly service bill. We will be sending you a private message with the link to our referral program so you know how it works! Thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

It is too early to tell now but so far the service has been good. It started slow due to foul up experience getting my wife's cell phone switched over to Pure Talk service. There was a long delay in getting the correct "SIM" card, after receiving a second SIM card for my Apple i-phone instead of the card for my wife's android based phone, then another long delay before receiving the correct card. Since those experiences, the service is good and I would prefer to respond further after another 3-4 months. Continued good service is important.

Pure Talk response

Greetings, Hal! We regret to hear that you experienced delays when activating your Pure Talk service. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Overall, we're happy to hear that you are satisfied with your Pure Talk experience thus far as our goal is to always provide an optimal customer experience! If you have any further questions or concerns, our Customer Service department is always eager to assist you. Thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

Pure Talk Company Information