4.16/5

Pure TalkUSA Reviews

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

This company pays a monthly fee to participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program and we may receive compensation for any referrals.

348 Pure TalkUSA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I decided to give Pure Talk a try after ** became way too expensive after the initial "new customer" rate. (I'll refrain from naming carrier) - I am an AMAC member so I got a better deal than non members and figured no contract so all I have to lose is $3.00 for a SIM card. My experience could not have been better (except with **) - on hold for 40 minutes with ** to get my account number. They gave wrong number so number couldn't be ported by Pure Talk. Called ** again - on hold for 20 minutes.

Was given the CORRECT account number. Pure Talk said NOW the pin was wrong. Called ** again. On hold for 20 minutes. Tried to talk me out of cancelling. Offered me more than they did the first time. I refused. Tried to sweeten the deal with an upgrade. I refused. Finally gave me a new pin because they could not understand why I couldn't be texted my pin as I had switched SIM cards to Pure Talk (and every time I called I spoke to someone who barely speaks English). Called Pure Talk AGAIN. Instant conversation with an ENGLISH speaking rep. Ported my number with no problem. So I am now paying $25 for the same minutes and data I paid $68 with **. Very happy!

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They charged me 2x for the same plan, customer service didn't want to do anything about it. The customer service was rude and they said that they couldn't refund me and if I didn't like what they had done I should leave their service.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had been with 3 other Big Service Providers off and on for several years until I finally got fed up with worsening bad service, outsourced nightmares, horrible pricing and contracts; tried a couple of the better known little places too but they could be a fiasco as well as pretty generic. I decided to try Pure TalkUSA after reading a little about them on a forum. I've been using their services a little over 2 years now and have never had any problems with them, other than getting my phone settings correct the 1st time I tried setting my phone up with them. But it was MY ERROR and he was very patient and nice, and once I calmed down a bit, things went fine. ;-)

Tech support has been immediate and is all in the USA. Nothing was outsourced the times I contacted them. I think their service has gotten a little better, as I have purchased as well as switched phones back and forth a few times and never had any more setting problems, or any other. As soon as I switch the sim card, I immediately get the new settings and instructions sent to me without having to do anything on my end.

I pay $20 a month for my service instead of 40-100+ a month from everyone else. They have several plans to pick from, and they will grandfather you in if you are on one you like better if they change plans. (But make sure you ask if everything is still included compared to their new plans.) And, they do seem to try and come up different plans and prices fairly regular. They have decent prices on their phones they sell. Samsung, LG, Alcatel They all seem to have a 1 year manufacturer warranty on them. I have not bought any phones from them. I've always purchased unlocked elsewhere when I buy a new phone. You can bring your own phone, providing it's unlocked and GSM, and you can check on their site to be sure it will work. They will also port your old number and it's done really fast.

They use AT&T's lines which I have no problem with, and I live in a small Podunk town now where cell towers are sorely lacking. I have never lost service with Pure TalkUSA, yet I have with AT&T on its own. Now that is weird. You can go to PureTalkUSA's website and see your records of minutes called and amount of texts and data for the month, as well the numbers called, etc which I did miss that the bigger Providers furnished. The only thing that Pure TalkUSA didn't offer was wifi. But I do use wifi for most of my data and when I have checked on Pure Talk's site it says I have used only a couple of MB in a month's time, so wifi with my data seems to be working fine for me. Of course, it's unlimited talk & text so it really doesn't matter if I use WiFi for that.

They also have a referral program where their customers can get $20.00 credited on their account for everyone they get to sign up, as well as the new person will also receive $20.00 off. So to me, it's a win-win situation. No contract to have to worry about either, and they have auto-pay (debit or credit) with $5.00 off compared with if you make one-time payments each month yourself.They also have multi-line discounts too. They don't over their service outside the USA so you have to do something else if you travel to another country, but you can call Internationally from the USA if you call them and get an International PIN from them.

Customers can visit their Support page, there are several FAQ's. I think that those who have had a problem, probably didn't read through the Support section to see what they DO offer and what they don't at this time. I am glad I found them, and hope their service stays great! (And NO I am not an employee or getting paid to say this. LOL) For a small company, I think they are doing very well, and pretty well offer almost the same or exceed the services the large mega providers do. I know I am sure tired of hearing people constantly complain about lousy service from other providers; and here is a place that still seems to put customer satisfaction first. Hard to find nowadays.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

This is my husbands phone. I signed him up for PureTalk after researching phone providers because PT had the best rates. My husband only uses his phone to communicate with me when needed. A few people have his number. This is perfect for him. I definitely would recommend PT to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I didn't have a cell phone for many years, I was undecided, and I really researched which cell phone was best for hearing loss before even deciding getting this cell phone. That's how I found that the Alcatel Idol Pop 3 had high ratings, compatible w/ hearing aid, and clear strong dual speakers. I bought it 3 months ago and I found out how Pure Talk is a great user friendly provider and always helpful when you call, and beyond affordable, absolutely best experience with them. The new phone sounds just great too!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pure TalkUSA?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I was not getting connection to internet or receiving texts on a timely basis. Called and found out my GB were all used up. I would like a way to track my usage so I know where I am during the month to prevent this. She told me to set up an account. I have no idea how to do that. She did not take the time to help me do that so I do not have it set up yet.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

On PTUSA website I discovered that my phone model would work on PTUSA network, so I ordered their SIM card. Went through all the hassle of porting my number to their service, only to find out my phone would not work on their system. Their website lied! Then went without service until the number could be ported back to my old service provider. Don't trust their website: Call customer service to find out if your phone will work on their system!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Shortly after receiving my Smart Phone, from PureTalk USA, I had an amputation of my right leg. (Vietnam Service!) I was in and out of Hospitals and Health Care facilities, and my instructions for the phone had been misplaced. Still haven't found them! PureTalk USA has been very helpful with me, and it's worth the price, big time!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I first learned about PureTalk from my brother. Upon investigating the various plans both my wife and I decided to give it a try and we are glad we did. Pure Talk offers the flexibility we want along with great service and value.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I like the price and the plan. If someone was asking me about a recommendation I would recommend Pure Talk. The reason for only four stars is as follows. The voicemail feature needs improved. When I check out my voicemail there is never a DATE/TIME stamp. With my previous service I always knew when the message was received. This is provided for text messages, but not phone voicemail. I hope you add this feature soon. The rating would be higher!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I am disappointed with the service coverage because the map(s) say I should have signal in my hometown of Iowa Falls IA 50126, but whenever I visit, the service is not available. I even purchased a 4G phone from PureTalk USA, which was supposed to fix it, but it did NOT.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I was a customer of a big contract company for years. Limited talk, text and data. Several years ago I found Pure Talk and I have been very happy. Good customer service, better plan than the company advertised on AARP!

Original review: July 29, 2018

Every time I use your website to order something I end up having to call customer service, which is cool because y'all have some super people working for you, and they have always helped me 100%! Your website, not so much. Still love Pure Talk though!!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I was very happy with the $10 a month plus $5 for the two lines, but have since gone up to over $35 for two lines... but it is still better than most. Just wish we still had the option for the older program.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I switched from Verizon to Pure Talk USA mainly because of price. I was paying $60 per month and I did not need the various services provided. I make a few phone calls a month and use my phone primarily for emergency purposes, like golf tee times and such. I have been able to do everything I wanted to do on Pure Talk USA at 1/3 the cost of Verizon. Thanks for a good cell phone experience.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Would definitely recommend to friends and family. Already have recommended to many. This is the most affordable and reliable plan ever. Especially when you are on a fixed income. Thank you Pure Talk. I have only had to contact pure talk maybe twice in a really long time. Very friendly and extremely helpful every time. Am very pleased.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We love the service. It's convenient, a great deal in the world of expensive phone plans, and it's easy to add more data on the go if needed. I love being able to adjust our plan online easily. Thanks for bringing our cell phone bill down by over 50% and saving us hundreds of dollars a year!

Original review: July 28, 2018

Good service, but could improve coverage in certain areas and indoor spaces. No connectivity in common places even though other networks are available. Pretty affordable and worth for the money spent on the plans offered. Data plans are also good enough with sufficient speeds.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I've been with PureTalk for a number of years now and have never had any problems with the service. I upgraded my plan and phone about a year ago and found the PureTalk associates to be very helpful and well informed allowing for a very smooth and easy transition... Oh Yeah and it's hard to beat the pricing as well.

Original review: July 28, 2018

1) With each new phone (s7 Samsung for 2 yrs) if I remove the chip, data turns off, have to call you guys to get it started again. I travel for business to Asia/So Am/Europe where I buy a short term chip for the two to five weeks I'm there. On returning I Always find a new chip from PT is needed and I have to pay $$ to get it. 2) Your hours are too short and nothing on weekends. Currently PT is cheaper than the next guy... but frustrating.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Great Service and never a problem when traveling. We travel a lot and sometimes to remote areas of the Country. When driving always feel comfortable that somewhere there is a tower that our service will connect to. Would recommend this service to all Seniors. Can't beat the package price.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Overall we are happy with our service, but have limited signal strength at our home location as well as other select areas locally. Would like to see this improved as it can be very frustrating at times. Makes text messaging slow and sending photos all but impossible.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Really enjoy y'all as my cell phone provider. Would and have recommended to my friends. Y'all are good for people looking for decent service at a decent price. Keep up the good work. Y'alls unlimited talk and text plans are just what people need. Thank you.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have enjoyed using PureTalk USA for years and truly enjoyed the customer Service and the connections PTUSA has given us over the years. It just gets better and the prices are great and competitive. Thank you Pure Talk. I have recommended this service to a lot of my friends and I believe it is overlooked as being a great service by many. They seem to want to stay with one of the big three and don’t realize how good PureTalk is.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have never had any issues with my service ever since I began using PureTalk 3+ years ago, and the cost has pretty much been the same ever since. In the past when I used AT&T wireless I always experienced drop calls, and it seemed like my bill would increase over the months without me even changing my plan.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I've used this phone company many years. If I've had a problem customer service is right on it to help out and solve the problem. Very affordable, no contract unlimited call and text. When we took a vacation we took our phones to Mexico and had no problem or extra fees.

Original review: July 25, 2018

For the price we pay, we get enough data, text and talk for the amount of usage we both need. We never have dropped calls and the calls are always clear. Getting a discount for multiple lines is also a bonus.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have had Pure Talk for many years now and have been very happy with their service. I have recommmended to friends and family as well and they too have been happy with lowering their monthly bill. I once had issues with my internet service, and Pure Talk was always there for me and fixed the issue right away. I cannot see myself changing services anytime soon. Thank you Pure Talk!

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have used Pure Talk since December of 2014 and the service has been perfect. I have always connected with my calls and fount when there has been an issue the customer service agents are always helpful, friendly and solve the issue.

Original review: July 24, 2018

You should have a two gig option since one per month is often too few and three is usually too many for the sort of use I put my phone to. Otherwise I really do not have much to complain about, unless it’s the occasional though rare problem of getting service.

Pure TalkUSA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Pure TalkUSA was established in 2004 and offers both pay-as-you-go and unlimited prepaid plans. The company is headquartered in Covington, Ga.

• Referral program: When a new customer activates a Pure TalkUSA line and lists the phone number of an existing customer who referred them, the existing customer will receive either a $10 or $20 bill credit, depending on their plan.

• Family plans: Those who want multiple lines can set up a family plan with up to four lines. The account owner can give each phone an allowance of minutes so users who need more minutes can have them. Minutes on the family plans roll over from month to month.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for Pure TalkUSA online or by purchasing a refill card at Kmart or Sears. They can also enroll in autopay.

• Social media: Interested consumers can learn more about Pure TalkUSA by following the company on Twitter or Facebook. The website also features blog articles.

• Customer service: Customers with problems or questions can reach a customer service agent or technical support specialist during extended business hours seven days a week. All customer service is based in the United States.

• Best for: Pure TalkUSA is best for temporary users, budget-conscious customers, parents and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs