3.98/5

Pure TalkUSA Reviews

Pure TalkUSA offers nationwide coverage with no contracts and no hidden fees. We make the process of switching as simple as it can get. No need to buy a new phone or get a new number; with Pure TalkUSA, you can keep both! Our customer service team is located in the US & is ready to help you at any time. Contact us today to learn more about plans available and how you can switch & start saving!

427 Pure TalkUSA Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

I am generally happy with AMAC affiliated Pure TalkUSA, having come over from ** with their liberal AARP hookup. Now I get unlimited talk and text plus 600MB of data which is way more than I got from ** for a similar monthly cost. However, last Friday I tried to send a text with a photo and found it would not go. Then I realized why, for the initial 2 months of my PT service, I had used 0MB of data: my APN was never set up.

I Googled for the required parameters and found them helpfully posted by BestMVNO along with this interesting sales pitch: "You need help! You're not happy with your carrier because they couldn't even do a simple thing like tell you the right APN! Subscribe to BestMVNO and be happy by getting the latest deals and carrier promotions delivered to your inbox!" OMG, they're right! Beyond transfer of my phone number, I don't recall much introductory help from Pure TalkUSA and certainly no directions w/r/t setting up my APN. As a result, for 2 months I had no access to my 600MB. Better take care lest someone eats your lunch.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I recently contacted customer service due to a loss of data throughout. I was not able to even open a webpage or run speed test. I had been on the throttled data rate for most of the month, but this problem was just in the last day. The representative reset my data on the system and I was back up and running. She did not say specifically what had happened, but I am guessing the system turned me off because it thought I had abnormal usage. I pay for 500MB of data each month but have managed to use around 6GB, so I am not overly surprised. I just wish I had received a message to inform me what was going on. Overall experience the last 2 months has been excellent!

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I like your service so much that I've referred several clients to use it too. However, I don't see where I've ever received your promised credit for them signing up. Sherry ** of Russelle, AR would be the most recent.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I decided to give Pure Talk a try after ** became way too expensive after the initial "new customer" rate. (I'll refrain from naming carrier) - I am an AMAC member so I got a better deal than non members and figured no contract so all I have to lose is $3.00 for a SIM card. My experience could not have been better (except with **) - on hold for 40 minutes with ** to get my account number. They gave wrong number so number couldn't be ported by Pure Talk. Called ** again - on hold for 20 minutes.

Was given the CORRECT account number. Pure Talk said NOW the pin was wrong. Called ** again. On hold for 20 minutes. Tried to talk me out of cancelling. Offered me more than they did the first time. I refused. Tried to sweeten the deal with an upgrade. I refused. Finally gave me a new pin because they could not understand why I couldn't be texted my pin as I had switched SIM cards to Pure Talk (and every time I called I spoke to someone who barely speaks English). Called Pure Talk AGAIN. Instant conversation with an ENGLISH speaking rep. Ported my number with no problem. So I am now paying $25 for the same minutes and data I paid $68 with **. Very happy!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had been with 3 other Big Service Providers off and on for several years until I finally got fed up with worsening bad service, outsourced nightmares, horrible pricing and contracts; tried a couple of the better known little places too but they could be a fiasco as well as pretty generic. I decided to try Pure TalkUSA after reading a little about them on a forum. I've been using their services a little over 2 years now and have never had any problems with them, other than getting my phone settings correct the 1st time I tried setting my phone up with them. But it was MY ERROR and he was very patient and nice, and once I calmed down a bit, things went fine. ;-)

Tech support has been immediate and is all in the USA. Nothing was outsourced the times I contacted them. I think their service has gotten a little better, as I have purchased as well as switched phones back and forth a few times and never had any more setting problems, or any other. As soon as I switch the sim card, I immediately get the new settings and instructions sent to me without having to do anything on my end.

I pay $20 a month for my service instead of 40-100+ a month from everyone else. They have several plans to pick from, and they will grandfather you in if you are on one you like better if they change plans. (But make sure you ask if everything is still included compared to their new plans.) And, they do seem to try and come up different plans and prices fairly regular. They have decent prices on their phones they sell. Samsung, LG, Alcatel They all seem to have a 1 year manufacturer warranty on them. I have not bought any phones from them. I've always purchased unlocked elsewhere when I buy a new phone. You can bring your own phone, providing it's unlocked and GSM, and you can check on their site to be sure it will work. They will also port your old number and it's done really fast.

They use AT&T's lines which I have no problem with, and I live in a small Podunk town now where cell towers are sorely lacking. I have never lost service with Pure TalkUSA, yet I have with AT&T on its own. Now that is weird. You can go to PureTalkUSA's website and see your records of minutes called and amount of texts and data for the month, as well the numbers called, etc which I did miss that the bigger Providers furnished. The only thing that Pure TalkUSA didn't offer was wifi. But I do use wifi for most of my data and when I have checked on Pure Talk's site it says I have used only a couple of MB in a month's time, so wifi with my data seems to be working fine for me. Of course, it's unlimited talk & text so it really doesn't matter if I use WiFi for that.

They also have a referral program where their customers can get $20.00 credited on their account for everyone they get to sign up, as well as the new person will also receive $20.00 off. So to me, it's a win-win situation. No contract to have to worry about either, and they have auto-pay (debit or credit) with $5.00 off compared with if you make one-time payments each month yourself.They also have multi-line discounts too. They don't over their service outside the USA so you have to do something else if you travel to another country, but you can call Internationally from the USA if you call them and get an International PIN from them.

Customers can visit their Support page, there are several FAQ's. I think that those who have had a problem, probably didn't read through the Support section to see what they DO offer and what they don't at this time. I am glad I found them, and hope their service stays great! (And NO I am not an employee or getting paid to say this. LOL) For a small company, I think they are doing very well, and pretty well offer almost the same or exceed the services the large mega providers do. I know I am sure tired of hearing people constantly complain about lousy service from other providers; and here is a place that still seems to put customer satisfaction first. Hard to find nowadays.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pure TalkUSA?

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 2, 2019

I have been unable to get my hotspot to work with my iPhone. When I was with AT&T I had not issues. So far, Pure Talk support has been less than helpful and continues to kick the can saying they are waiting on AT&T and that everyone is having this issue. I don't see myself renewing for another month and will probably go back to AT&T.

Pure TalkUSA response

Hi Aaron we definitely understand your frustration in trying to resolve your hotspot issue. We'd like the opportunity to look into this further. Would you please send an email so we can access your account and see what the issue is.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 25, 2019

I went to Pure Talk from AT&T. I figured if I got at least as good (not so good from AT&T) for half the money no great loss. When I first signed up my service was actually better and I was pleased. Many of the black hole issues had cleared up, no cut off calls, I was pleased. then after my first month it started all over again. All the black holes are back. I get "call failure" regularly. In certain spots, and I mean spots, while driving I just get cut off. One spot is about 1/8 mile long between our Harbor Freight and Lowes stores on RT 72.

I do not like the voicemail system at all. I used to be able to see who left voicemails and choose to respond. With all the spoof calling a good feature. Now it dials in old fashion style and I have to listen to the whole queue. I guess those features are how it's less expensive. So, overall, service is as bad as AT&T. At least its less expensive. I understand Pure Talk gets service from the AT&T system. What I don't understand is why my first month was like having a found paradise and now. So. Overall, I'm neutral on my experience but I am happy not to be paying AT&T nearly $100./month for less data than Pure Talk at around $46.00. I have recommended Pure Talk though with reservations.

Pure TalkUSA response

Hi Stanley we're disappointed to hear your service has not been as great as when you first signed up. We'd be more than happy to take a look at your account and service area so we can see what is going on and provide you with any applicable assistance. Would you please send an email and we can begin to take a look at your account and assist you from there. Thank you

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 21, 2019

Just to let you know that we actually have three orders as a family and none of our data options work. And I have tried calling the 611 number and after being on hold for more than 20 min was finally connected and told to wait as the person I was connected to could not help me. So our data still does not work and have needed it several times. Also on my number I cannot get any MMS files. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but could somebody help?

Pure TalkUSA response

Hi Dale we definitely want to make sure all your services are working to their best ability. Would you please send an email and we can begin to take a look at your account and assist you from there. Thank you

Original review: June 21, 2019

I heard about Pure TalkUSA from Dave Ramsey! Pure TalkUSA is the BEST cell phone service I have ever had! There is a monthly plan for everyone and they are all affordable compared to the competitors. Thank you Pure TalkUSA!

Original review: June 19, 2019

My husband's phone is a Rugby IV. He's unable to set up his voicemail because he can't call the SMS service from his phone. He's unable to receive photos or long texts or texts to multiple people. He can only get simple text messages. We haven't been able to get a live person to fix this. The Phone was an AT&T phone and is unlocked. I set up my Samsung phone ok (920-917-5923) after googling instructions from a 3rd party website, but we can't get the data files downloaded to his Rugby to make it work. Please help! Thank you.

Pure TalkUSA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Pure TalkUSA was established in 2004 and offers both pay-as-you-go and unlimited prepaid plans. The company is headquartered in Covington, Ga.

• Referral program: When a new customer activates a Pure TalkUSA line and lists the phone number of an existing customer who referred them, the existing customer will receive either a $10 or $20 bill credit, depending on their plan.

• Family plans: Those who want multiple lines can set up a family plan with up to four lines. The account owner can give each phone an allowance of minutes so users who need more minutes can have them. Minutes on the family plans roll over from month to month.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for Pure TalkUSA online or by purchasing a refill card at Kmart or Sears. They can also enroll in autopay.

• Social media: Interested consumers can learn more about Pure TalkUSA by following the company on Twitter or Facebook. The website also features blog articles.

• Customer service: Customers with problems or questions can reach a customer service agent or technical support specialist during extended business hours seven days a week. All customer service is based in the United States.

• Best for: Pure TalkUSA is best for temporary users, budget-conscious customers, parents and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs