3.27/5
Based on 33 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Pure TalkUSA Reviews

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

This company pays a monthly fee to participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program and we may receive compensation for any referrals. Learn More.

Last updated: April 9, 2018

33 Pure TalkUSA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2018

I wrote this review because I saw mostly negative reviews. I have been with Pure TalkUSA since January 3rd of this year. Yes it was a little problem getting my phone unlocked but not one problem since. My friend recommended it & she loves it. So I told my sister and she loves it too! So I tried it and nothing has changed. I still have unlimited talk, text & data! The only difference is my bill is now $40.00 less each month!!! I am retired and that is most important! I love Pure Talk and have had NO PROBLEM! I am very very happy! My sister & I still text & talk all day long like we did before. Nothing has changed! Wish I had changed sooner!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I contacted Pure Talk to make sure my phone will work on their network. Gave them the M... on my current phone. They told me, "No problem. It will work." I knew my phone was clear and not blocked by my last company as they told me so and I ran a check on my phone which told me it was clear. Paid the 26.88 for the sim and first month of service. Finally after 4 days got the sim. Called them, got that part straightened out and they gave me a phone number. Restarted the phone and it asked for a access code. PT is telling me it's a block from my previous company. My previous company said it's not and PT has to give me the unlock code.

This all fell on a Saturday near the end of the day. So here I sit with no cell and a loss of 25.88. Also when asked about porting my number I was told it was the weekend and that department was closed so I had to get a new number. So with my phone not working I went on PT and looked at their phones and there is no way I can afford any of them. A lot of your cell providers offer 0.00 phones or low cost but PT is way too expensive. On the plus side they do have good coverage and decent monthly plan prices.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have used Puretalk for about 3 years now. My company had provided me a mobile phone (iPhone 5s on Verizon) and I needed a mobile after I retired. On a neighbor's recommendation, I purchased a smartphone (Pantech) from Puretalk with their basic $10/month plan. This phone was an old model that Puretalk replaced for free when it failed after a month. A year later I purchased a new unlocked smartphone (Blu Life Plus) from Amazon and upped my plan to include data ($19/month) and then later added more data making it $29/month for unlimited voice and text and 3 GB of data. I recently replaced the Blu with a Motorola G5 Plus after I accidentally shattered the screen of the Blu. The new phone was also purchased from Amazon.

Puretalk Customer Support. I have had little issues with the Puretalk customer support. The initial setup was straightforward and took perhaps 15 minutes once the phone arrived. Getting the broken Pantech phone was simply a phone call. The replacement arrived in two days and worked out of the box once the SIM was swapped. The transition to the Blu phone was more challenging as the phone was not recognized out of the box and a call to tech support was required. Tech support had the phone up and running in about 15 minutes. The transition to the Motorola phone was transparent. I just swapped the phone and everything magically migrated to the new phone.

The closest thing to a negative experience was when I upgraded my plan online mid-billing cycle from the base plan to an unlimited plan. I did not understand a prepaid plan is billed and got upset when I found I was being charged for both the base plan AND the new plan. A call to a patient customer support person resolved my confusion AND got me a partial refund for the data plan I had with the base plan. (Do not switch plans mid-billing cycle!). Puretalk Coverage. Coverage is full AT&T coverage. Not as good as Verizon in rural coastal California, but good enough and speedy enough most other places.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I had Pure TalkUSA for two months. I had trouble with my phone right away. It was always say emergency use only. I contacted technical support with this problem. Got it fixed. The next day the same thing happen. Went through the same procedure. This was occurring every two days so on the 9th of this month I changed companies to Metro PCS. When I asked for the money that I paid for this month Pure Talk says it does not give refunds because they are a buy here pay here company but the phone that they gave me they have turned off the service too so I will be out of $ 24.00. I think that if I cannot use the phone they should refund the money that I spent on the service. So I rate them a 0 as a company. I suggest that no one use this company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

My family has 4 phones. The service is AT&T so the quality is fine, we've never had any issues in 5 years. You just have to realize that for a cheaper rate you're going to give up something. Which is acceptable for me as I have saved hundreds by now. I have always been happy with their customer service, but I am not surprised to hear others have not. I bought an unlocked phone for Christmas, ordered a sim card from Pure Talk site (I paid 3 bucks). It arrived in 3 days. I called customer service, phone was working in 5 minutes... That has always been my experience. I don't like that I can no longer add additional minutes when I run out. That was a nice feature, but the unlimited plan is only 20 something bucks... I'm cheap and try to go with lowest plans. Hope this helps.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pure TalkUSA?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Their customer service have hours of only 9:00am to 6:00pm eastern time, which are the same hours I work 7:00am to 4:00 pm mountain time. So customer service could not help me. Phone could not recognize the sim card, and their website would not recognize my account number even though I copied and pasted it from their email. What gives.

Original review: March 9, 2017

Do not waste your money on Pure TalkUSA. I paid extra to expedite the phone before my trip, but it did not work. Then I called their so-called tech support and waited for 25 minutes to talk to someone. The tech support could not help either and wanted to send me a new sim card. They said that if the sim card does not work they will send me a new phone. I told them that I need a phone within the next 3-4 days before moving to another state. They can not ship you anything FedEx or priority mail. When I told them to give me an RMA to return the defective phone they became rude and unprofessional. Do yourself a favor, save your time and money, and do not use Pure TalkUSA. It is very close to a scam.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Called to activate new smart phone. Couldn't get SIM to be recognized. The tech guy says to push the card in more. Well, I told him that I had it pushed in as far as possible. "No, you don't - you have to push it in to make the door pop up." "What door?" "I'm trying to help you." "There isn't a door." "Yes you have to push it in farther." "I can't push it farther - wait now I can't get it out." "Yes push it in farther." "Well now it will not come out!" Ended up bending the connection plate - had to send it back to manufacturer and pay $75 because of THEIR ignorance about this phone. Still have no service - still will not read the card and they are very RUDE. Why take out a bad experience on an innocent customer?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

It was a good price for the length of time that I needed it. Not many features, but I did not need them. There were several options available in different lengths, features and price ranges. I chose the phone and service plan that I needed at that time. I did not have to give any of personal information to obtain the phone. Could not lose and credit or personal information. Felt comfortable using the phone. The phone performed well. Worth the price that I paid for it. Nothing fancy and nothing out of the ordinary. If need I would use again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

The price was fair. There are options when it comes to choosing a prepaid phone and this is the best option out there. There is no use going to any other phone plan. There were good options with this prepaid phone line. You can prepay or you can choose another payment option. The options were very good for this phone service. This phone service had good privacy features. The privacy options are very good. You can choose between a variety of options that are good price. The performance of this company far exceeded expectations. I was hopeful that this could replace my previous contract phone line and it totally did.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

It was less than others sold at the stores which was a great price as I'm on a budget and worked great. I only used to receive and make calls but the sound was clear and the volume was loud. Battery life was not an issue or charger like so many phones have issues with. Everything was private. Had no issues at all with this phone. Had it for quite a while. Would recommend to friends and family as a great phone for young teens also. Very Satisfied and happy with it. Great first phone for anyone. No minutes to worry about or high bills.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

The phones are refurbished so they should reflect that in pricing. Not priced as a new phone. The plans run way too high for very little minutes and data. Not many plans to choose from and they are way overpriced for very little time and data, do not like it one bit. I never use the phone. Every spammer in the world will call you 24/7/365. It sucks. If you are on a do not call list it should work. But these phones won't work even if you port your number over from another provider. The phone works, it does not drop calls, no run into poor service at all. That is what I am pleased with.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I got the package deal but it didn't add up. Paid for phone and had to purchase min, cost close to 85.00. It was not easy trying to get the minute put on the phone, something went wrong with activation. I got frustrated with having to call customer service for help. If it would have been easier, then maybe I would have enjoyed it better. The privacy was ok. But I wished it could have been a better phone. I can't imagine having issue ever before, with a purchase, but this one just gave me a hard time. Once I got it running, I was ok with it, but I still had some issues regarding the minutes. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

At the time I did not have a lot of money so having a prepaid phone came in handy. They are good for people on a budget. Older people and kids can benefit from them. At the time many years ago they were not smartphones so the options and technology was limited. But they had a number of phones to choose from. It did what it needed to do, it made calls. So I'm happy with the phone but would not be now.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

It was more expensive than it should have been. I paid $280 for it and it was not even a smartphone. So I was disappointed and it performed at a standard to below standard rate. There weren't many plan options for the prepaid phone. And not many options to purchase more minutes. The no-contract plans that are readily available now are much better and cheaper. Privacy was fairly decent. It was safe to use and I don't think we lost any information or had identity theft stolen from the prepaid phone. It was not a smartphone but it worked well enough receiving texts and calls. It may have dropped calls a few times but nothing substantially terrible.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

The price is alright though the phone is very glitchy. You should fix all glitches before you raise the price. If it came with more free apps that do stuff it would be good. Map option. Night vision app and also a evp app so I can talk ghost. Also a locators. Like when the phone is missing it beeps and it lets me know where it is at. Privacy is number one on my list of cell phone priorities. It would be great also for online purchases. Phones need the best privacy security. The phone is alright except as I had stated before it is very glitchy. It makes calls when I am nowhere near my phone and it also deletes my contacts.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

It cost too much. And it was hard to use at first. I had a hard time hear on it. The coverage I had, had a lot to be desired. When I used it I felt like a drug pusher. The rates are so outrageous. It use to only cost 25 cents to make a phone call and now there are less pay phones around and you now have to buy a phone. You use to have to have a warrant to tap your phone. Now they can just pull your calls right out of the air. What kind of privacy is that? People use the speaker phone to talk to people and you get a lot of background noise and then you can not hear anything.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

They have a strange billing system. Not bad, just not well explained. Depending on how many minutes I have left that month, I will get charged between $25 (minimum) and $55 (maximum). You set the spending cap and you can adjust how many minutes everyone has (which I like). It did take a long time to get your sim card and/or phone once you ordered from their website. It was about 3 weeks before I received my new phone and sim card from them. They use refurbished phones and unfortunately I had to send my phone back for another one which took 2 weeks and it did not work either, it has been over 5 weeks and I am still waiting for the return shipping label to send this second phone back.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

The price was pretty good compared to most. Ultimately I ended up switching to a contract. It costs more but I like my phone much better. However, if you don't want to be tied to a two year contract, a prepaid phone like the ones from this company are an excellent option. I don't think the options are as good as the ones on a contract service. They're good for those who don't want to be tied to a contract though. I, personally, just wanted more options. The privacy features were great. I didn't feel like any of my information or anything was being spread around or leaked or anything while using this service and phone. The phone worked well enough. I still didn't like it as much as what I have now, but it worked a lot better than what I expected when I purchased a prepaid phone. I was pleasantly surprised.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

It was a good prepaid phone. Minimal dropped calls, not a great variety of phones to choose from but works well for people whose phone isn't one of their main priorities. Has good options for variety of needs, more for a person who doesn't use their phone as much and is only needed in emergency situations. I was happy with my experience. Has the ability to lock and not be seen by other people if you really chose to. It's an okay plan. Did everything I needed it to do. Has basic things like texting and calling. Not really well for people who want to use it for games or other apps because it take up way too much data for that.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

The price is comparable to others yet it pays for itself in the quality they provide. Their customer service is outstanding and any problems are truly handled quickly. The options are nice. There is something for everyone and it's easy to see why they are very popular. I would recommend them to anyone looking for this service. They are very discreet and efficient in being discreet. They care about your privacy and want to see you happy as a customer. They truly value your privacy. Their performance is very good. They are always there for customers and even go the extra mile to make sure you are satisfied, which is rare to see nowadays.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

It was inexpensive for the phone I needed. I paid thirty dollars for the phone and it was durable enough for me to make calls with and text. It didn't do anything else. It was very basic. I got a very generic phone. I was only using it to call and text. The phone functioned fairly well. I was able to make and receive calls but sometimes depending on where I was I would get service disruptions.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I think that for a non-contract phone the price was at a good range. The phone was durable and I was able to connect well with my friends and family. I'm glad I didn't have to worry about any overage charges and no hidden fees. I liked that there was a variety of plans to choose from. It ranges between $10- $24. All the plans let you know exactly what you are able to do before purchasing them. I myself did the most expensive one so I had more options on connection. I had no issues with my information getting into the wrong hands. Everything was professionally done and I was very satisfied with the product. The phone itself had a few dropped calls, depending on the area. The majority of the time it worked well unless I was camping high in the mountains and completely out there. Other than that it was fine.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I wouldn't buy another phone like that. Too expensive. I like the new iPhone. I think they aren't helpful as the old smartphones. It worked out if you needed a phone just for emergency. I personally didn't like it. The privacy was fine. I never shared personal info about it but then again I didn't know much about the phone. It did what it was intended to do. It was okay phone.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

The price in all honesty is good enough for what it needs and may be high at times but gets the job done and people will pay for what they want. They have a lot of different options to choose from. You just have to know what you want before you order anything from them and not to throw a fit about things that you can't control. They say that they won't share your information but you can never be too sure with any company, all companies say that they won't share your info but they usually do anyways. Their performance is good at times, but they can improve in a lot of places, but it can also vary at times, just have to see what they have to offer before getting anything with them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

It was comparable to other brands. I didn't think the prices were too outrageous or anything. The price was fair. No complaints. I was satisfied. I did not think there were too many options. That is usually how it is with prepaid phones. You cannot really be picky. The options are pretty standard. I was satisfied with the privacy. I felt comfortable using the phone. I did not think my security or privacy were messed with. It performed as any other phone does. I did not experience dropped calls or anything similar. All the functions performed how they were supposed to. Nothing super special.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

While it wasn't the cheapest phone on the market it wasn't the most expensive one either. I only purchased the phone to be able to make phone calls in an emergency so it didn't need to have all the bells and whistles of say an iPhone. I thought the price was fair for the quality of the phone. They had unlimited minutes and data plans available in different price ranges depending on how many mins or how much data you use. But they also had plans available with traditional pay as you go or pay as you use plans where you only pay for the minutes you talk instead of paying for a set amount of mins.

The phone had a lock screen on it as well as some parental controls in the settings but I did not have need for any of those features so I do not have much more info other than that they were there. I wasn't disappointed with the phone's performance but I can't really say that I was impressed with it like I am with my iPhone. For the reasons I purchased it for and the price I paid I'd say it performed exactly as I expected it to.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

Well this was when I was without a cell phone and I was going to be out of the house and knew my friend's cell phone number so I bought a prepaid phone to keep in contact. I remember that there were a lot of minutes sold at a great value for me and had great coverage over the city. I really loved the phone. I don't exactly remember the privacy of the phone to be honest, but I felt comfortable using it when I did. Never felt violated at all. I got it on a whim, but the phone worked great. Amazing clarity from who I called and when I got called. Crisp and clear sound from it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

If you don't use a lot of minutes, use these phones. If you do, you might want to get a contracted phone. The service and call quality was worth the price. I barely used mine so it was the best price for me. It was nice that I could buy the refill cards but the only problem was that I didn't always use all of the minutes I purchased which meant that I lost them. I was able to have a passcode which was nice but I had the least sophisticated phone offered so I'm certain that the nicer phones had even more security measures. It wasn't my favorite phone I've ever had but when you need a phone and you can't afford one easily, using a pay as you go phone is a great option.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

The price wasn't bad but I had a lot of lost signals while making calls that made me decide to stop using the prepaid device. I'm not sure if maybe I just had a bad one or not. The one I used had good plans available where you paid for the amount of minutes you used so there wasn't a lot of money wasted on minutes that would just expire at the end of the month. I never had any issues regarding the privacy of it but I did question how secure they were. I'm sure it was fine but the thought did run through my head. This was my biggest concern. I had a lot of dropped calls or calls where the other person could not hear me for some reason. again, that could have just been my device too.

Pure TalkUSA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Pure TalkUSA was established in 2004 and offers both pay-as-you-go and unlimited prepaid plans. The company is headquartered in Covington, Ga.

• Referral program: When a new customer activates a Pure TalkUSA line and lists the phone number of an existing customer who referred them, the existing customer will receive either a $10 or $20 bill credit, depending on their plan.

• Family plans: Those who want multiple lines can set up a family plan with up to four lines. The account owner can give each phone an allowance of minutes so users who need more minutes can have them. Minutes on the family plans roll over from month to month.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for Pure TalkUSA online or by purchasing a refill card at Kmart or Sears. They can also enroll in autopay.

• Social media: Interested consumers can learn more about Pure TalkUSA by following the company on Twitter or Facebook. The website also features blog articles.

• Customer service: Customers with problems or questions can reach a customer service agent or technical support specialist during extended business hours seven days a week. All customer service is based in the United States.

• Best for: Pure TalkUSA is best for temporary users, budget-conscious customers, parents and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs