4.18/5

Pure TalkUSA Reviews

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Pure TalkUSA offers nationwide coverage with no contracts and no hidden fees. We make the process of switching as simple as it can get. No need to buy a new phone or get a new number; with Pure TalkUSA, you can keep both! Our customer service team is located in the US & is ready to help you at any time. Contact us today to learn more about plans available and how you can switch & start saving!

362 Pure TalkUSA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 23, 2019

Two months ago we switched our two lines (using GSM iPhones) from AT&T to PureTalk. We now pay half as much for the same level of mobile service and are completely satisfied with its performance. Have already recommended it to our friends.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I was told about this Cell Service by a patient in the place I work. I was skeptical at first about inquiring because I just knew AT&T was the best (price/service). I did call and inquire and viewed the details online. I couldn't believe my eyes what a deal!!! I owned my phone so all I would need was a Sim-Card. I ordered it, applied for the service and have been surprised! My cell service has improved, my price can't be beat and I just wish everyone knew this secret!!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I was unable to view my credit card information on the website in order to make sure that it was correct. The credit card was rejected, because of outdated information. As a result I was charged $5 to make my payment. After that experience, I phone customer service to correct the extra charge. Instead of fixing the charge your representative gave me the stonewall treatment.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Pure Talk is amazing! We switched from AT&T and our bill went down by 75%! The service is just as good but the customer service is 100x better! I recommend Pure Talk to everyone I know! It is great to know there are good options out there for cell service!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I primarily switched to PureTalk because PureTalk supports AMAC (a politically conservative association). I had a series of difficulties in getting the service set-up (e.g., neither my e-mail address or physical address were recognized by the PureTalk system), but after the very helpful assistance I received from PureTalk personnel (fixing the problems within PureTalk), it worked fine. And every extra feature I needed (e.g., visual voicemail) required another phone call to PureTalk. I think that PureTalk may have unhappy customers because they're unaware of the extra features available to them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pure TalkUSA?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Getting new sim in hand is a slow event in this day of 1-day Amazon delivering. Takes 4-5 days with the 2-3 day paid delivery. Then you can port a preexisting number. Keeping your number is easy, but porting takes at least a day. Have the prior account# and pin ready. And then you need to set up that new SIM in the phone. Takes some doing and if you are not tech savvy it's tricky, a bit. After that all is good and lower cost. Coverage is excellent.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I’m so pleased with Pure Talk. I’m glad to be saving money and I’m away from AT&T. I wish I had done it years ago. I love that I was able to bring my own phone, I recommend Pure Talk to everyone. When my husband's contract is up he will switch to Pure Talk as well.

Original review: March 19, 2019

When looking for a carrier I found you on AMAC lucky for me. The price is right, the service is good, questions answered promptly and accurately, even if some are less than tech savvy on my part. Got a line for my wife also. Keep up the good work and thanks for being who you are.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I recently contacted customer service due to a loss of data throughout. I was not able to even open a webpage or run speed test. I had been on the throttled data rate for most of the month, but this problem was just in the last day. The representative reset my data on the system and I was back up and running. She did not say specifically what had happened, but I am guessing the system turned me off because it thought I had abnormal usage. I pay for 500MB of data each month but have managed to use around 6GB, so I am not overly surprised. I just wish I had received a message to inform me what was going on. Overall experience the last 2 months has been excellent!

Original review: March 17, 2019

Whenever I swipe my screen to make a call, an ad pops up before I can get to my contacts. There's audio & video for 5 seconds before I can tap the X in one of the upper corners to get rid of the ad. Then when I get a notification that I received an email or message, an ad will start playing before I even read the message or email. I find this to be extremely annoying, and even though the monthly fee and no contract for Pure Talk is more satisfactory, I'm going to investigate other carriers & fees just the same.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Purchased 2 PureTalk USA plans, 500mb and 5GB. The sim cards that go in the phones did not come labeled as to which one was 500mb and which was 5GB. Long story short, I loaded the Sim cards in the wrong phones. Well, I thought "no big deal, I will just go online and switch the amount of data associated with each card." When I lowered the 5GB plan to 500mb plan, there was no refund but when I raised the 500mb plan to 5GB I was charged for the additional coverage. After debating with customer service for some time... they agreed to issue me a credit for the amount charged on my first bill.

After starting to use the service, I could not connect to data anywhere using their network. Also, I could not receive text messages that included pictures. I called and cancelled the service and switched. The company never issued me the credit promised as they are claiming that I never made it to the first bill cycle. They are claiming that they could only issue a credit and not give me a refund. I explained that I cancelled my service due to poor connectivity, so... I can't exactly do a credit. Was told repeatedly, "Sorry sir, that is just our policy." I asked to speak to a manager and was told they are too busy. I implore you not to use this company. I am an avid Dave Ramsey listener and that is how I even heard about and tried this company. Big mistake. Other companies Dave recommends have been great, but this one I don't see lasting long. Hope this helps.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I had been a customer in good standing for many years, enjoying the most cost-efficient cell phone service, then it happened; My credit card was compromised in July 2018 and was cancelled and new one issued by my bank. Trying to sort out all the problems and get my money back was a nightmare. Determining what businesses I had reoccurring monthly payments to was also extremely difficult.

So I missed updating PURE TALK with my new card number so after 30 days they CANCELLED my account, losing approximately 2,000 talk minutes and any history of my account. I was told "it's gone" and cannot be re-established. I'll bet if it was the FBI trying to gain access to my history and validity of account there would be no problem. I was told there was an email sent notifying me of the problem but I never received it. I did not receive a call or text either. With these type of business practices I would shy away from PURE TALK, no matter how good they seem on the surface. I am being very vocal about the lack of customer service PURE TALK exhibits. BG Ocean View, DE.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I like your service so much that I've referred several clients to use it too. However, I don't see where I've ever received your promised credit for them signing up. Sherry ** of Russelle, AR would be the most recent.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I decided to give Pure Talk a try after ** became way too expensive after the initial "new customer" rate. (I'll refrain from naming carrier) - I am an AMAC member so I got a better deal than non members and figured no contract so all I have to lose is $3.00 for a SIM card. My experience could not have been better (except with **) - on hold for 40 minutes with ** to get my account number. They gave wrong number so number couldn't be ported by Pure Talk. Called ** again - on hold for 20 minutes.

Was given the CORRECT account number. Pure Talk said NOW the pin was wrong. Called ** again. On hold for 20 minutes. Tried to talk me out of cancelling. Offered me more than they did the first time. I refused. Tried to sweeten the deal with an upgrade. I refused. Finally gave me a new pin because they could not understand why I couldn't be texted my pin as I had switched SIM cards to Pure Talk (and every time I called I spoke to someone who barely speaks English). Called Pure Talk AGAIN. Instant conversation with an ENGLISH speaking rep. Ported my number with no problem. So I am now paying $25 for the same minutes and data I paid $68 with **. Very happy!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They charged me 2x for the same plan, customer service didn't want to do anything about it. The customer service was rude and they said that they couldn't refund me and if I didn't like what they had done I should leave their service.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had been with 3 other Big Service Providers off and on for several years until I finally got fed up with worsening bad service, outsourced nightmares, horrible pricing and contracts; tried a couple of the better known little places too but they could be a fiasco as well as pretty generic. I decided to try Pure TalkUSA after reading a little about them on a forum. I've been using their services a little over 2 years now and have never had any problems with them, other than getting my phone settings correct the 1st time I tried setting my phone up with them. But it was MY ERROR and he was very patient and nice, and once I calmed down a bit, things went fine. ;-)

Tech support has been immediate and is all in the USA. Nothing was outsourced the times I contacted them. I think their service has gotten a little better, as I have purchased as well as switched phones back and forth a few times and never had any more setting problems, or any other. As soon as I switch the sim card, I immediately get the new settings and instructions sent to me without having to do anything on my end.

I pay $20 a month for my service instead of 40-100+ a month from everyone else. They have several plans to pick from, and they will grandfather you in if you are on one you like better if they change plans. (But make sure you ask if everything is still included compared to their new plans.) And, they do seem to try and come up different plans and prices fairly regular. They have decent prices on their phones they sell. Samsung, LG, Alcatel They all seem to have a 1 year manufacturer warranty on them. I have not bought any phones from them. I've always purchased unlocked elsewhere when I buy a new phone. You can bring your own phone, providing it's unlocked and GSM, and you can check on their site to be sure it will work. They will also port your old number and it's done really fast.

They use AT&T's lines which I have no problem with, and I live in a small Podunk town now where cell towers are sorely lacking. I have never lost service with Pure TalkUSA, yet I have with AT&T on its own. Now that is weird. You can go to PureTalkUSA's website and see your records of minutes called and amount of texts and data for the month, as well the numbers called, etc which I did miss that the bigger Providers furnished. The only thing that Pure TalkUSA didn't offer was wifi. But I do use wifi for most of my data and when I have checked on Pure Talk's site it says I have used only a couple of MB in a month's time, so wifi with my data seems to be working fine for me. Of course, it's unlimited talk & text so it really doesn't matter if I use WiFi for that.

They also have a referral program where their customers can get $20.00 credited on their account for everyone they get to sign up, as well as the new person will also receive $20.00 off. So to me, it's a win-win situation. No contract to have to worry about either, and they have auto-pay (debit or credit) with $5.00 off compared with if you make one-time payments each month yourself.They also have multi-line discounts too. They don't over their service outside the USA so you have to do something else if you travel to another country, but you can call Internationally from the USA if you call them and get an International PIN from them.

Customers can visit their Support page, there are several FAQ's. I think that those who have had a problem, probably didn't read through the Support section to see what they DO offer and what they don't at this time. I am glad I found them, and hope their service stays great! (And NO I am not an employee or getting paid to say this. LOL) For a small company, I think they are doing very well, and pretty well offer almost the same or exceed the services the large mega providers do. I know I am sure tired of hearing people constantly complain about lousy service from other providers; and here is a place that still seems to put customer satisfaction first. Hard to find nowadays.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

This is my husbands phone. I signed him up for PureTalk after researching phone providers because PT had the best rates. My husband only uses his phone to communicate with me when needed. A few people have his number. This is perfect for him. I definitely would recommend PT to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I didn't have a cell phone for many years, I was undecided, and I really researched which cell phone was best for hearing loss before even deciding getting this cell phone. That's how I found that the Alcatel Idol Pop 3 had high ratings, compatible w/ hearing aid, and clear strong dual speakers. I bought it 3 months ago and I found out how Pure Talk is a great user friendly provider and always helpful when you call, and beyond affordable, absolutely best experience with them. The new phone sounds just great too!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I was not getting connection to internet or receiving texts on a timely basis. Called and found out my GB were all used up. I would like a way to track my usage so I know where I am during the month to prevent this. She told me to set up an account. I have no idea how to do that. She did not take the time to help me do that so I do not have it set up yet.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

On PTUSA website I discovered that my phone model would work on PTUSA network, so I ordered their SIM card. Went through all the hassle of porting my number to their service, only to find out my phone would not work on their system. Their website lied! Then went without service until the number could be ported back to my old service provider. Don't trust their website: Call customer service to find out if your phone will work on their system!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Shortly after receiving my Smart Phone, from PureTalk USA, I had an amputation of my right leg. (Vietnam Service!) I was in and out of Hospitals and Health Care facilities, and my instructions for the phone had been misplaced. Still haven't found them! PureTalk USA has been very helpful with me, and it's worth the price, big time!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I first learned about PureTalk from my brother. Upon investigating the various plans both my wife and I decided to give it a try and we are glad we did. Pure Talk offers the flexibility we want along with great service and value.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I like the price and the plan. If someone was asking me about a recommendation I would recommend Pure Talk. The reason for only four stars is as follows. The voicemail feature needs improved. When I check out my voicemail there is never a DATE/TIME stamp. With my previous service I always knew when the message was received. This is provided for text messages, but not phone voicemail. I hope you add this feature soon. The rating would be higher!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I am disappointed with the service coverage because the map(s) say I should have signal in my hometown of Iowa Falls IA 50126, but whenever I visit, the service is not available. I even purchased a 4G phone from PureTalk USA, which was supposed to fix it, but it did NOT.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I was a customer of a big contract company for years. Limited talk, text and data. Several years ago I found Pure Talk and I have been very happy. Good customer service, better plan than the company advertised on AARP!

Original review: July 29, 2018

Every time I use your website to order something I end up having to call customer service, which is cool because y'all have some super people working for you, and they have always helped me 100%! Your website, not so much. Still love Pure Talk though!!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I was very happy with the $10 a month plus $5 for the two lines, but have since gone up to over $35 for two lines... but it is still better than most. Just wish we still had the option for the older program.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I switched from Verizon to Pure Talk USA mainly because of price. I was paying $60 per month and I did not need the various services provided. I make a few phone calls a month and use my phone primarily for emergency purposes, like golf tee times and such. I have been able to do everything I wanted to do on Pure Talk USA at 1/3 the cost of Verizon. Thanks for a good cell phone experience.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Would definitely recommend to friends and family. Already have recommended to many. This is the most affordable and reliable plan ever. Especially when you are on a fixed income. Thank you Pure Talk. I have only had to contact pure talk maybe twice in a really long time. Very friendly and extremely helpful every time. Am very pleased.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We love the service. It's convenient, a great deal in the world of expensive phone plans, and it's easy to add more data on the go if needed. I love being able to adjust our plan online easily. Thanks for bringing our cell phone bill down by over 50% and saving us hundreds of dollars a year!

Pure TalkUSA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Pure TalkUSA was established in 2004 and offers both pay-as-you-go and unlimited prepaid plans. The company is headquartered in Covington, Ga.

• Referral program: When a new customer activates a Pure TalkUSA line and lists the phone number of an existing customer who referred them, the existing customer will receive either a $10 or $20 bill credit, depending on their plan.

• Family plans: Those who want multiple lines can set up a family plan with up to four lines. The account owner can give each phone an allowance of minutes so users who need more minutes can have them. Minutes on the family plans roll over from month to month.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for Pure TalkUSA online or by purchasing a refill card at Kmart or Sears. They can also enroll in autopay.

• Social media: Interested consumers can learn more about Pure TalkUSA by following the company on Twitter or Facebook. The website also features blog articles.

• Customer service: Customers with problems or questions can reach a customer service agent or technical support specialist during extended business hours seven days a week. All customer service is based in the United States.

• Best for: Pure TalkUSA is best for temporary users, budget-conscious customers, parents and business owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs