Pure TalkUSA Reviews

Pure TalkUSA
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.30/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Pure TalkUSA offers nationwide coverage with no contracts and no hidden fees. We make the process of switching as simple as it can get. No need to buy a new phone or get a new number; with Pure TalkUSA, you can keep both! Our customer service team is located in the US & is ready to help you at any time. Contact us today to learn more about plans available and how you can switch & start saving!

Pure TalkUSA Reviews

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

After using multiple other cell phone providers and having issues such as coverage loss, bad customer service, and expensive bills for the services offered, I researched multiple providers and decided to try Pure Talk. My service was activated within 4 hours of the number port. A 20 minute phone call enabled data, with very knowledgeable and polite customer service based in the USA. After a few months of flawless service, I recommended Pure Talk to few friends. They were easily able to keep their numbers, activate Pure Talk, and any customer service call was efficient and resolved the issues.

I feel that the pricing is very fair, and competitive with any other MVNO operating on the same parent service. Some of the features they offer that I don't see offered with competitors is: unlimited throttled data once you've gone over, with no surprise overage bills; free data hotspots; and quality customer service. Would recommend this to anyone looking to switch providers and gain a good provider with quality features and support.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I am generally happy with AMAC affiliated Pure TalkUSA, having come over from ** with their liberal AARP hookup. Now I get unlimited talk and text plus 600MB of data which is way more than I got from ** for a similar monthly cost. However, last Friday I tried to send a text with a photo and found it would not go. Then I realized why, for the initial 2 months of my PT service, I had used 0MB of data: my APN was never set up.

I Googled for the required parameters and found them helpfully posted by BestMVNO along with this interesting sales pitch: "You need help! You're not happy with your carrier because they couldn't even do a simple thing like tell you the right APN! Subscribe to BestMVNO and be happy by getting the latest deals and carrier promotions delivered to your inbox!" OMG, they're right! Beyond transfer of my phone number, I don't recall much introductory help from Pure TalkUSA and certainly no directions w/r/t setting up my APN. As a result, for 2 months I had no access to my 600MB. Better take care lest someone eats your lunch.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

New Phone is very unique & nice. I think it would be more helpful for me if there were more instructions in the booklet for sending text messages, deleting any text messages, adding/deleting/editing contacts, using speakerphone, taking pictures &/or deleting pictures. This is my very first time using a Smartphone.

Hi Sheila,
          We'd love to help you with using your new phone and making sure you are aware of all the features and how to use them. Please send an email with your phone information and we can further assist.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I am a Senior and on a very limited budget. I tried another carrier an by the time taxes and etc. was added on, I was paying a month bill of $26.00 with only 250 mb. data. With Pure Talk I get 500 mb. data that I have in case of an emergency for just over $19.00 per month. No brainer on which plan to use. The service is great and I love the auto pay feature so do not have to think about paying my monthly bill. Thanks Pure Talk for great service and most all, GREAT VALUE.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I recently contacted customer service due to a loss of data throughout. I was not able to even open a webpage or run speed test. I had been on the throttled data rate for most of the month, but this problem was just in the last day. The representative reset my data on the system and I was back up and running. She did not say specifically what had happened, but I am guessing the system turned me off because it thought I had abnormal usage. I pay for 500MB of data each month but have managed to use around 6GB, so I am not overly surprised. I just wish I had received a message to inform me what was going on. Overall experience the last 2 months has been excellent!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pure TalkUSA?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I have only had service with this company for less than a month and am already thinking about asking for a refund. I have been having issues with downloading pictures to my text and receiving pictures and apps and websites are constantly saying "no internet connection". I started out with the 8MB plan for 35.00 month. After a week they started throttling videos like on YouTube. They did say this is what would happen when the cycle was near usage limit on data. But I go to the website and it said I used 93 gb; 0 MB. So I upgraded to the next plan and still have the same problems even tho I don't use much data.

This internet connection for downloading pictures doesn't even work in town when it shows full bars! I had to call tech support several times and twice asked for a call back which never happened! So I stayed on the line and after 20 min hung up. I had to call Tech support initially about this same matter! Problems with the MMS downloading pictures in text & now I am calling them again about the same matter. Very frustrating, how I wished I'd of stayed with the company I was using! How I wished I would of read these reviews!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I was checking out no contract cell companies and came upon Puretalk. Their ad said it was started by a veteran and had the phone I wanted. They also offered 2 day Fed Ex shipping. I got on their site and entered my information with a PO box and was alerted that 2 day was not available to po boxes so I added my physical address. I opted to pay rather than financing the phone. That was 12/30/19. When 3 days had gone by, added for new years, and no phone I called in. They could find not tracking info for my phone so I asked for a manager. I was told there were no managers that day so I said I would call back the next day. I asked for a manager again since there was still no tracking available and was to they were in a meeting and she would put a notice to call me back when they were out of meeting. No call back that day so next day I called again. The person said they would get a manager.

Well 15 to 20 minutes on hold I had to hang up for a scheduled call. Still no tracking. I started checking their reviews again and found a few 5 stars then it went south. Many 1 & 2 stars with the same or similar problems as mine. I sent them an email and said if and when I get the phone I would be sending it back. I explained in my email that if your first interaction with a company is bad that is an indicator that I don't want to do business with them not to mention the bad reviews. Well that prompted them to call me at appx 6:15 in the morning. The lady apologized and offered 2 months free service but by then I had already chosen a better company and would not have even considered it if I hadn't.

I chose this company primarily because it said it was started by a veteran, as I am, and the few reviews I read were good. Very few. Next time I will read more reviews but all in all if a company wants my business don't start out not holding up to the promises and don't treat your new potential customers like second class citizens.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I ordered a new flip phone, it came with a sim card installed. Contacted customer service to activate new phone. After 36hrs of the phone saying updating sim card customer service was contacted and transferred to tech dept after a 50min wait. I followed every tech command and the phone refused to call out or receive calls. I requested a new phone as a brand new one would not work. This is when the crap started, as I was feeling as I was the bad guy. One of the employees stated that the phone I had chosen has a really bad history of being JUNK.

During all this I requested a shipping label to be issued to return the bad unit at the same time the company send my replacement. This request was made cause I had been without service for several days, you had thought I had ask for Presidential pardon! I then contacted customer again and stated since my current phone had such a bad reputation I would go with an upgrade and an e-mail would be the best method to contact me as I have a non working phone. After 18+ hours, NO shipping label, NO word as to a replacement, NO word at all! After several years of service the very first time I needed some help, the feeling is YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO BOTHER WITH. This has really pushed me toward Consumer Cellular. Mike

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I was very excited to hear about this service on the radio. I called back and ordered the service and was overnighted 2 sim cards for my phones with instructions to activate online or thru customer service. I chose customer service on a Saturday and waited for activation. It never happened,48 hours later I called to cancel. They told me they needed more accurate information and that they Emailed me, I received no such email. Very poor customer service.

Pure TalkUSA response

Hi Neal we do apologize for you not receiving communication back in regards to activating service. We would like the opportunity to look into this matter further for review and assistance. Will you please send an email to social.escalations@puretalkusa.com providing additional details so we can help provide a positive resolution to this matter. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
          Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I have service with Pure Talk for a few years and the service is really good using my phone that I provided not one of theirs. I decided to give my son the phone for his first phone but need to get him a new number of his own which required ordering a new SIM card from pure talk and paying for the plan upfront which was fine. I transferred the number I had on his phone to my current carrier and had no issues and cancelled the account associated with the number I carried with me with pure talk.

When it came time to pay his bill they said I still had both accounts one of which was supposed to have been cancelled. Was told my number I transferred had not been successfully ported to my new carrier but obviously has because I’m on a completely different carriers iPhone with no pure talk sim. Anyway I was told that I had to pay both bills. Remind you this prepaid service to keep his phone active so in essence I had to pay for a # that is no longer associated with their company just to keep my son's service on. I also followed up with my carrier and my # is an active number with them. I really think I deserve a total refund of the whole amount I was charge for a # number I no longer have with them.

Pure TalkUSA response

Hi Lee Ann we do apologize for you not receiving the best customer service experience possible. We would like the opportunity to look into this matter further for review and assistance. Will you please send an email to social.escalations@puretalkusa.com providing additional details so we can help provide a positive resolution to this matter. Thank you.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Pure TalkUSA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Pure TalkUSA was established in 2004 and offers both pay-as-you-go and unlimited prepaid plans. The company is headquartered in Covington, Ga.

• Referral program: When a new customer activates a Pure TalkUSA line and lists the phone number of an existing customer who referred them, the existing customer will receive either a $10 or $20 bill credit, depending on their plan.

• Family plans: Those who want multiple lines can set up a family plan with up to four lines. The account owner can give each phone an allowance of minutes so users who need more minutes can have them. Minutes on the family plans roll over from month to month.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for Pure TalkUSA online or by purchasing a refill card at Kmart or Sears. They can also enroll in autopay.

• Social media: Interested consumers can learn more about Pure TalkUSA by following the company on Twitter or Facebook. The website also features blog articles.

• Customer service: Customers with problems or questions can reach a customer service agent or technical support specialist during extended business hours seven days a week. All customer service is based in the United States.

• Best for: Pure TalkUSA is best for temporary users, budget-conscious customers, parents and business owners.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team