3.1/5 (2210 ratings)

About Pure Talk

Pure Talk offers nationwide coverage with no contracts and no hidden fees. We make the process of switching as simple as it can get. No need to buy a new phone or get a new number; with Pure Talk, you can keep both! Our customer service team is located in the US & is ready to help you at any time. Contact us today to learn more about plans available and how you can switch & start saving!

Pros

• Affordable plans
  • No hidden fees
  • Ideal for seniors
  • Reliable coverage

Cons

• Service lags once data caps
  • Does not operate its own network

Bottom Line

Pure Talk provides cellphone coverage at an affordable price and a variety of discounts. The company offers and services designed for older adults with no hidden fees.

Top Pure Talk Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was tired of paying too much for cell service… I took the jump from a big carrier to Pure Talk and won’t be going back. The service is absolutely all I need, works as I expect, ...

Verified

My family had Sprint for many years and we've always thought the price was not worth what we were getting… We made the switch to Pure Talk and we couldn't be happier! We are savin...

What is Pure Talk?

Pure Talk is a cellphone service that uses AT&T’s network (which covers 99% of America) but offers much cheaper coverage. It’s a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) and has no contracts or hidden fees. While all Pure Talk coverage plans are unlimited, data speed slows notably once you’ve reached your monthly allowance. You can cancel at any time or talk to the company's customer service representatives if you have questions.

Pure Talk plans

Pure Talk plans are pretty economical; typical plans start at $10 monthly for unlimited talk and text with a high-speed data allowance of 2 GB, and prices peak at $22.50 for unlimited talk and text with 20 GB of high-speed data. It’s important to note that though there isn’t a data cap, service slows down once you surpass your cap for high-speed access.

Pure Talk is suitable for seniors because of its affordable plans and low data allowance. It offers a risk-free guarantee for the first month, so you can try it out and get a refund if you’re not satisfied.

Pure Talk costs

Pure Talk offers several monthly plans based on its 4G LTE data allowance, which is ideal for streaming video and audio. At the time of publishing, prices are:

• 2 GB: $10 a month
  • 4 GB: $12.50 a month
  • 6 GB: $15 a month
  • 10 GB: $17.50 a month
  • 20 GB: $22.50 a month

Pure Talk also provides family plans. One additional line garners 10% off the total bill; discounts for two extra lines run up to 20%. The company’s friend referral program offers existing customers $20 account credits for referring new customers.

Pure Talk FAQ

Is Pure Talk any good?
Pure Talk is a solid option if you don’t need a lot of data or if you’re looking for an economical family plan.
What cell towers does Pure Talk use?
Pure Talk is on the AT&T network, and its coverage is widely available.
Can you keep your number with Pure Talk?
Yes, you can use your existing number with Pure Talk. All you need is a PAC code from your previous provider.
How do I activate Pure Talk?
You can activate your Pure Talk account within minutes by selecting “Activate Service” on their site or bfollowing instructions included with your purchase.

Is Pure Talk legit?

Pure Talk is a legitimate cellphone service provider that offers no-contract phone service. If you’re looking for more affordable mobile coverage, Pure Talk could help you save on your bill. It’s probably most ideal for senior citizens and those who don’t require large data plans.

Pure Talk Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pure Talk?

Original review: May 6, 2022

When I first came over to PureTalk for cell phone service, it was my wife and I that both ported over our cell numbers to PureTalk. Previously my wife was with Spectrum and I was with Straight Talk through Walmart. Within just a matter of days my wife was not pleased with the "number of bars" she had while sitting in our own living room, and of course she was naturally comparing the PureTalk service to Spectrum. She was so displeased with the PureTalk reception in our area, i.e., Montgomery, Alabama, that we changed her service over to Verizon within a week's time. Overall I have been satisfied with PureTalk. Further, our initial order with PureTalk included a new phone, an iPhone 12 for me. I also took advantage of the PureTalk 30 month financing with 0% interest.

This order was placed around February 22, 2022 and I enrolled in paperless billing and automatic payments via my credit card. To-date, PureTalk has not debited my credit card for any of the 30 monthly payments. I find this extremely odd. I called PureTalk last month (April) and I called today asking when is PureTalk going to start debiting my credit card for the payment for my new phone? Both times the customer service person sounded surprised that the payments for my new phone have not begun yet.

Pure Talk response

Greetings, Thomas! We regret to hear of the experience you and your wife have had with PureTalk thus far, and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have been caused. A private message will be sent regarding your iPhone payments, as we are in need of additional information. Thank you for your feedback, as it always helps us improve the PureTalk experience.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

#1 Pure Talk isn't afraid to say MERRY CHRISTMAS! (I was THRILLED to receive an e-mail from Pure Talk wishing me a MERRY CHRISTMAS! There are few companies with the fortitude to say "Merry Christmas" anymore.)

#2 Customer service is THE BEST and IN AMERICA. (I can understand the person on the other end - no difficult accents)! Every time I've called Pure Talk customer service, the person on the other line was patient, cheerful, and super-friendly! I NEVER dread calling customer service when it's Pure Talk! Imagine that!?

#3 Truck-Driver APPROVED! Excellent Coverage! --- My husband is a trucker, and he drives from New York to Minnesota straight down to Texas and over to Florida! He covers the entire eastern side of the USA, and he is SO HAPPY with Pure Talk's coverage! Our family left AT&T to switch to Pure Talk. We had heard wonderful things about Pure Talk, but we were hesitant to switch. SO GLAD WE DID NOW!!!! Wish we would have switched to Pure Talk sooner!

#4 Pure Talk is PATRIOT approved! The reason we heard about Pure Talk was because of all the patriot, underground news sources advertising Pure Talk (Dave Ramsey also)! WE LOVE SUPPORTING THE USA! And we are so happy to be a part of the Pure Talk family which shares our values of our beautiful AMERICA!

#5 We are saving money with Pure Talk! As if all the aforementioned points weren't good enough, Pure Talk's service cut our cell phone bill in half! I'm not exaggerating. Pure Talk's service is 50% cheaper than our former service with AT&T, and, NOT ONLY THAT, but we're getting more data per month than we did with AT&T! So literally, we are paying less and getting MORE with Pure Talk!

THANK YOU, PURE TALK! WE LOVE YOU!

Pure Talk response

Welcome to PureTalk, Donna! We are thrilled to hear about your experience thus far. Our Customer Service department is always eager to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have. Be sure to let your family and friends know about the great service we provide as we offer a referral credit that benefits both parties on your monthly service bill. We will be sure to list the link below to our referral program so that you know how it works! Thank you for your feedback!

Please visit https://www.puretalkusa.com/customer-referral-program to learn more about how our referral program works. Thank you for choosing PureTalk!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

When I first called Pure Talk after hearing the commercial on the radio, I was with Sprint/T-Mobile and paying too much for my service and was looking to upgrade to a 4G phone before January 1, 2022 before losing service due to my Kyocera DuraXTP 3G phone becoming incompatible with the 4G requirement. I did not know much regarding the great offers available online for new iPhones, but talked with a salesperson who directed me to get a SIM card to switch to Pure Talk. That would’ve been a great opportunity to sell me a new iPhone, including a new iPhone SE with 256G. There was a fantastic deal at the time and would’ve been better than the iPhone SE 64G I ended up with.

The SIM card didn’t work, and left me without service with my new PureTalk plan for two weeks. I found out later that I missed many calls and texts during that time. I was on the phone with Customer Service with 10 different people total and nothing could be done. Finally, a customer service representative helped me to purchase the iPhone SE 64G I have now, although no longer at the fantastic price available to new customers, which I no longer was despite having no service during my first two weeks as a Pure Talk customer. I settled with my current phone instead of getting the phone I wanted because it was now out of my price range without the new customer sale.

I chose the “happy” rating because the service is good and the price I pay every month is more than half of what I was paying before, which is fantastic. With a long history and training in sales, I can say that I am disappointed with the salesperson who prompted to sell me a SIM card for a phone that would only work for one more month anyway and not try to sell me on a brand new phone at a great price. That, to me, is a poorly trained salesperson.

Why sell me a temporary solution (that didn’t work anyway) when the obvious long-term solution is right in front of you? I had to buy a new phone anyway, and I did, but no longer at the sale price. And why? Because I had already been a member for two weeks. A member without service or solutions, but a member nonetheless. Missing out on an white iPhone SE 256G for $149 still bothers me.

Pure Talk response

Hi, Daniel! We regret to hear about your experience with PureTalk thus far. Please accept our apologies for any issues you may have experienced. We will be sending you a private message regarding this matter. Thank you for your feedback, it always helps us improve the PureTalk experience.

Resolution response: Jan. 12, 2022

Thank you. And I'll take the longer hold time over higher prices every day!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I 100% recommend switching to Pure Talk USA. Pros: Cost, quality, coverage, customer service associates. So pretty much everything is a pro. Cons: Hold time. The pros, however, far outweigh this one con. Star rating: Overall 5+ stars. Hold time when calling 1 maybe 2 stars. So 4 stars because the hold time might be off putting to some people with no patience.

We have only been with Pure Talk USA for a short time now. Absolutely love the service. The quality of the calls is fantastic. We only had one problem with transferring the iPad and the tech person solved that very easily. The reason for the 4 star rating isn't because of the actual phone service; that is a 5+ rating as far as I am concerned. Since we have had our service we have not had any issues, other than the one stated above, to need customer service, which is fantastic.

You have been requesting a rating on customer service and that is what this is about. The customer service is actually very good, and I am very grateful that I am speaking to someone who is in this country and we do not have a language barrier to contend with. The person we speak with is always polite, knowledgeable and patient. They are always able to help without another call being needed (when calling for transfer of mom's account then later upgrading her phone).

The only issue with customer service is the hold time to actually speak with a person. We have had two people transfer to Pure Talk from other providers on our recommendation. While they are very happy with the switch because the quality is higher than they were getting, they were less than impressed with the hold time. The hold time to speak with a person is usually 15 to 20 minutes or longer. For me that isn't a problem because I have plenty to keep me busy while holding. So yes, I still highly recommend switching to Pure Talk USA for high quality service and coverage at a very low rate.

Pure Talk response

Hello, Colleen! We are thrilled that you made the switch to Pure Talk and are delighted to hear about your experience thus far. Regarding the hold time, please accept our apologies. Our goal is to always provide an optimal customer experience, including minimal wait times. Be sure to let your friends and family know about the great prices we provide as we offer a referral credit that benefits both parties on your monthly service bill. We will be sure to list the link below to our referral program so that you know how it works! Thank you for your feedback!

Please visit https://www.puretalkusa.com/customer-referral-program to learn more about how our referral program works. Thank you for choosing Pure Talk!

Original review: June 26, 2021

So far we are pleased with this arrangement with PureTalk. Your advertisements on Limbaugh and Hannity work! The price we are paying with you is about 45-50% less than what we were paying previously with Verizon. I am already considering the option to add two more lines because of the awesome price. However, I must say a few things:

* The set up process was a bit technical.

* Voice mail was not automatic and had to be requested.

* Mobile hotspot is still an issue. Even though my ticket indicated the service was enabled on your end, there is preference given to iPhone compatibility and I exclusively use droids. The only way to get this to work is to add ",dun" to the APN type under APN settings. So whatever automated updates you send to the phone when this is installed, there are missing parameters.

* Finally, there are some text messages that simply do not arrive that we find out about later on both of our phones.

I'm not griping about this, I just wanted to give you some straightforward evaluation of my experience. I'm a technical person so the extra steps are just something that I can do and file for future reference if needed. Overall, I would say this is a somewhat comparable service to what we had but at a greater savings.

Pure Talk response

Hi there, Chuck! We regret to hear abour your experience with Pure Talk thus far. Regarding the hotspot issue, this feature is compatible with iphone 6s and above but it is not guaranteed for all android devices. As some software version are blocked on our network, while others are not capable of using the feature. Regarding sending and receiving text messages, It seems that the APN settings within your device may need to be reset. Listed below will be the instructions if you would like to reset them yourself. You may restart your device and test to see if this feature is available. Overall, we are delighted to hear you are enjoying our services. Happy Savings! An agent will be reaching out to you shortly to provide further assistance. Thank you for your feedback as it always helped us to improve the Pure Talk experience.

Android APN Configuration
    1. Settings
    2. Connections (Mobile Network)
    3. Access Point Names OR APN
    4. 3 Vertical dots (Reset to default)
    5. + OR new APN OR add
    Fill ONLY these:
    Name: PT
    APN: RESELLER
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy OR Multimedia Message Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port OR Multimedia Message Port: 80
    APN Type: default,mms,supl
    5. Save (More OR 3 Vertical Dots)
    6. Reboot Phone
    7. Select "PT RESELLER"

***to ensure data is working: turn off Wi-Fi AND data on***

Updated:07/02/2021

Greetings, Chuck! We attempted to contact you via phone and email but were unable to reach you. If you are still in need of assistance, please reach out to us at 1-877-820-7873.

Original review: May 25, 2022

The service is excellent; much better than I had with my previous carrier. And it's saving me almost HALF of what I was paying to that carrier. We recently took a trip to the other side of the country and I had 5G service most of the time!

Pure Talk response

Hello, John! We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your PureTalk service and that you are saving money on your monthly service bill by making the switch. Be sure to let your friends and family know about the great prices we provide, as we offer a referral credit that benefits both parties on your monthly service bill. We will send you a private message with the link to our referral program so that you know how it works! Thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Very Happy with your service. Spotty sometimes but I live in the country and way better service than Verizon. Customer care is very important to me and y'all have the best I've come across. When I switched it was painless and took about ten minutes. The price for this kind of service is amazing.

Pure Talk response

Hi, Brandon! We are delighted to hear about your experience with PureTalk thus far. Our Customer Service department is always eager to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have. Thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Original review: May 22, 2022

I glad I found Pure Talk. I used my existing phone. It was very easy to sign up, easy to use, great signal, affordable price. I have already recommended Pure Talk to 2 family members. I will continue to recommend it to others!

Pure Talk response

Hello, Sandra! We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your PureTalk service. Be sure to let your friends and family know about the great prices we provide, as we offer a referral credit that benefits both parties on your monthly service bill. We will send you a private message with the link to our referral program so that you know how it works! Thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Really love Pure Talk! No contract hassles and if there is a problem, a customer rep is there to help! YOU make the choice in a matter of minutes to change anything on your account AND the price is right!

Pure Talk response

Hello, Nancy! We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your PureTalk service. Be sure to let your friends and family know about the great prices we provide, as we offer a referral credit that benefits both parties on your monthly service bill. We will send you a private message with the link to our referral program so that you know how it works! Thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I am old and very uncomfortable with this new technology. I switched my service from ATT because they have gone "woke" and Puretalk was recommended by AMAC (alternative to AARP). I found the whole experience very difficult and frustrating, but the staff at Puretalk were very patient and understanding and helped me every step of the way until I finally got it all figured out. Since then I have had no problems and am very comfortable using the service and the new phone.

Pure Talk response

Hello, Judy! We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your PureTalk service. Our Customer Service department is always eager to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have. Be sure to let your friends and family know about the great prices we provide, as we offer a referral credit that benefits both parties on your monthly service bill. We will send you a private message with the link to our referral program so that you know how it works! Thank you for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Pure Talk Company Information