C Spire Wireless (formerly Cellular South)

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Phone Service: Far better than AT&T mobile and I live in as rural an area as it gets. Can also seem to make and receive calls anywhere at any time. I haven't had a problem with calls dropping either. About as reliable as landline calling. 5 out of 5 stars. Internet Connectivity: The later (after 1 AM) you use the internet, the more inconsistent it is; you may not be able to use it all very, very late. Also, during the day and normal night hours (before 1 AM), it seems to stay connected almost all of the time. Plus, I haven't seen it go a day without being able to use it. 3.5 stars out 5 stars, because I like to use the internet very late sometimes. And I know I'm not the only one.

Internet/Data specifics: I still use 3G, but--the way I understand it is--.5 Mbps DL and UL both are slow even for that technology. If internet speed is important to you, make sure you ask when you sign up about what you can expect in a 3G connection compared with a 4G one. Then, choose a 4G or 4GLTE phone, if internet speed is important and be set up for it. Basically, if you need it for video (whether that be for work or otherwise) or modern gaming, then you need a REAL 4G internet connection (not one that is advertised to be but throttled down greatly). And they may lie to get your business. Perhaps, you should take a recorder with you; now, that's an idea. 2 out of 5 stars.

Policies: Our phones are under unlimited data plans. As with most, tethering (using your phone's internet for PC) requires a plan and I'm not sure they have one. I've looked online to see their pricing for tethering, but have yet to find one. If they don't have one, this will be a problem for me. Without a plan, they charge $10 or $20 for 1GB of tethering. I can't remember which. In order to update the modern PC operating system and its program files (AN INVALUABLE INTERNET SERVICE), it may require far more data than that. Then, you may need it for video use as a work-at-home opportunity, talking to relatives, and/or have kids into videos/gaming, etc.

Thanks be to God that you don't need tethering to download or save files, there are Apps and browsers that do this (may require unlimited data). Still, as you can see, tethering for the necessary things can quickly add up to 10 or more GBs (if you reside in a rural setting and have trouble getting an ISP worthy of note)! Which could add up to $200 or more to your phone bill--if there is no plan! I reside in very rural MS and have run out of options for PC internet except for scam copies like AT&T, Dishnet, DirecTV, HughesNet, Exede, unpopular scam companies, etc. Almost all have scathing reviews across the board!

Tethering has become the only option for me that I can see. And C SPIRE might not have a plan. And we're under contract! If tethering is or could be important to you in the near future, make sure they have a tethering plan that meets your needs at a price that you can afford. I rate C SPIRE'S POLICIES a 2.5 out of 5 stars, because (at least) they do have unlimited plans at a pretty fair price.

Verdict: Better for phone calls (5 rating) than Internet and not too bad with internet (2.5 rating average), either. We've never had to call CS; it's very user-friendly and "sturdy"! I would recommend C SPIRE--if you need both phone and internet (or want it very badly) after asking the above internet questions that you are satisfied.

C Spire will promise you anything for another customer. Their claims of service in my area were fraudulent. No two ways about it. When two years were up my service got worse. I enjoy 230 Kbps as a treat. Usually not that good. At their Starkville office I was told they had switched to lowband LTE in their rural areas. Told a new phone might help and there was a sweet two year deal to buy another. In West Point I asked about buying the phone I own and was told it would work fine at my house. Their policy is one of fraudulent claims. Contact your Public Service Commissioner.

I went into the Brandon MS store on Jan3rd and tried to get help but instead my 18 month old child was pushed by a C Spire employee. And then a phone was thrown back at me. I took my baby and left. Called customer service but got no results.

They have the best network for my area, good data plans, have installment agreements that don't require a contract and competitive rates. C SPIRE is innovative, has a good selection of products, a great network, and different billing options, in addition to good customer service.

I have been with C Spire for a long time when it was Cellular South. I had no problem with them but C Spire, it's customer service is bad. They try to rush you off the phone, half-help you with the problem. My bill was due on the Dec.12. I was cut off that day. I think it should be a 5 days past the due date before you are cut off, and when you call and ask about been cut back on and you will pay tomorrow. The first thing come pay your bill and it will. Every month my phone is cut off because my pay period don't fall on my due date and I'm tired of it. We are already being overcharge. For a example: data plan 100.0, phone, 27.15 per month, 17.17 for a tablet. I was told I got to pay 20.00 per month so I can use the phone, 10.00 per month to use the tablet. This is some bull. No discount for a job you work for because my job everybody get discount from all the local phone company. I'm tired. I think it time to move on to another phone company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cellular South?

This started sometime back with CSpire Wireless and will try and keep it brief and to the point. I have been a long time customer of CSpire since the Cellular South days of operation. Well, months ago my wife's phone had a cracked screen that was pretty bad. I went by CSpire Wireless store in Brookhaven Ms and they told me I did not have insurance on her phone. O really? So what is that charge for insurance I have been paying every month on my bill supposed to be along with the additional apple care that I felt pressured into getting when I purchased the phone? So, after being told that insurance didn't cover her phone and neither did the apple care, I left after being told it would cost $300.00 to replace the screen. I replaced the screen with a aftermarket from Amazon, which did pretty well for a while until it developed a crack in the corner. This whole time my wife is monitoring our CSpire Bills to confirm we are being billed for insurance.

So, my wife returns to CSpire where the rep agrees that we do have insurance and he will help handle the warranty claim. Well Great, not quite! The phone is replaced and now two months later I receive a email stating that the damage was not covered under warranty and they will be my account $79.00 for the repair. HMMM??? The money isn't so important. I will pay the charge. However look at CSPIRE. I feel as though you have damaged our trust, yours as a company, and mine as a consumer. I will be dropping all non-required charges such as insurance and apple care. Programs just don't work to the consumer’s advantage. Also did I fail to mention my contract is about to expire, and I will be researching your replacement. Thank you.

I have been with C Spire two years now. I realized that my phone had been turned off. I honestly forgot to pay my phone bill. I called and spoke to a representative to asked could I get a extension on my bill until tomorrow. I was told they could not restore my service once it was suspended. I knew this was a lie due to other phone companies I have been with in the past. I was just asking for my service to be cut back on until the next day. It wouldn't even been 24 hours. After this I will be switching back to T-Mobile. This service sucks... People have situations and I need a company that understands that.

I have stayed with C Spire for a long time now, maybe 9 years give or take, because they offered something competitors did not: good customer service. That has changed drastically in recent months and I believe it is now time for me to change service. C Spire's cell service is nothing spectacular and is not as good as Verizon or AT&T. I have had several issues since October 2015 and customer service leaves a lot to be desired. They want to force everything online for self-support yet when I walked into one store last week and one store today, the people standing around playing, throwing balls in the air, chatting, and killing time. Look like they need some work to do. Yet, I walked out last week and today completely helpless and still with a broken phone.

Self-support is fine but they need to flexible and make sure their website is adequate for self-support. I have too many issues with C Spire to bore people with the details here. My point is that they used to be good but now they aren't. I need better coverage for travelling and have tolerated C Spire's limitations because of loyalty to a local homegrown company but now that their business goals are changing, it's time for me to change services and at least get better coverage when travelling.

I was told in April, 2016 that I qualified for a FREE phone upgrade. I had been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. I went to C-Spire today (8/20/2016) to get the Note 7 and was told that I would have to sign a new contract and pay for the phone over 2 years. That WAS NOT what I was told back in April. I have 3 months left on my contract, which is ended this October. Come November, I am going to AT&T just as fast as my contract expires. This is twice I have been mislead by C-Spire. The third time is my fault.

C Spire service is awful!! IPhone drops calls and do not even try to watch a video because it stops and starts constantly!!! We have 3 iPhones with them and it's like this with all 3!! I would not recommend them to nobody!! We have called them several times and stayed on the phone with customer service for very long time periods just to have call dropped and they do not care, or even call you back!! I'm gonna find another service because I'm tired of paying out all this money and not having better service!!!

If I could give them a negative star review I would!! My son's phone was damaged after he ran over with a lawn mower. I called customer service to check on apple care. The rep said I would have to fill out a warranty claim online. I voiced my concerns and complaints with this. I had changed my sons service from AT&T for the very reason you could not get taken care of in house. I have myself been a c spire customer since early nineties when it was cellular south.

I explained to rep I was 7 hours away from my son on a work trip and I needed his phone replaced... Well no go and she said it's real easy to do online - NO, the problems go on... I had to wait until I arrived home to a real computer and do claim. I had the phone being sent to my sons girlfriends work address. Well guess what - they messed that up too!! Now the phone is at my old address that is an hour from me and an hour from my son. So I will have to drive because nobody contacted me about the address with ups and the delivery. I could go on and on and on. I would drop them over this and the fact they scammed all of us who should have been grandfathered into unlimited data etc. They have the best signal service where I work so I am stuck. Long time disappointed customer!!! Let someone else come along with better service and I'm done.

The worst experience ever. I have been with C Spire for 10 years and I can say that this is the worst experience I have ever went through with a business. They do not value their customers at all. I went into the store because my phone was broken. The customer service representative (Jimmy) did not process my claim accurately. He filed a warranty claim instead of an insurance claim, in which was not good, because the warranty claim was denied and left me having to pay $325.00 instead of the insurance deductible of $199.00. Once in the store the manager seen the error and attempted to clear it up. Well let us say a week has passed and the phone quit working. Not good, so I go back to C Spire and they inform me that they can do nothing about a defective phone.

So, what was the outcome. It was not time for my upgrade and I was forced to upgrade my phone and they moved me from my two year contract that I had been on for 10 years due to no fault of my own and I still had to spend out of pocket another $200.00 plus. Being a single mother I must say $200.00 is not easy to come by so imagine $400.00 yes that is what you all have gotten from me. Not to say that the employees do not care but I must say not even the owner or VP. It seems to me is that C Spire is ripping people off and forcing them to be in contracts and purchase phones. It surprises me that a big company such as C Spire does not have onsite technicians for problems with phones that they send out instead they say just buy a new one.

That is their way of problem resolution after customers pay insurance every month and then on top of that paid $199.00 for insurance deductible for a phone that did not work 2 months. I was not able to use my phone for over 3 days, which was a loss of 3 days of business and money and to go into the store and have to spend more money was unacceptable. The store manager was willing to do all he could to rectify the situation, however, the Esecuritel people were not helpful at all and did not care. Which is another problem because I have been paying for this insurance for 10 years and to see that it is not good makes me wonder why does C Spire still contract with them when they are obviously causing more problems with their customers than assisting them.

C Spire is unreliable, their customers services is a Zero. Whatever you do, don't trust C Spire. Take your business someplace else. They have you on the phone for hours and the people that works their store cannot help you unless you are signing a contract or purchasing a phone. They are no help with services after the sale. I would not recommend them to anyone.

My billing period was from (specifically) May 7, 2016 to June 7, 2016. My (unlimited) plan was changed May 8, 2016 with no notification. I received a letter in the mail May 21st that was dated by C SPIRE on May 17th. My plan was changed from unlimited to 1GB outside service area with overages of $100 per GB after 1GB. It is not acceptable to change a contract without notification. I don't feel I should've accrued charges until I was notified. I don't feel I owe any data overages for data used between May 7, 2016 to May 21, 2016 when I was notified. Today is June 23, 2016 (4 days before my account becomes delinquent) and I have learned they denied my claim to repeal the data charges. What a crock this company is "customer inspired" my butt.

Sitting here with my C Spire hotspot in an area that should receive full coverage and I can't upload a picture to social media. This is a daily occurrence. I'm wasting my money with these people. Texted customer service one day and they answered six hours later. Such a rip-off.

I have been with C-Spire since they were Cellular South and am considered of the "VIP Elite" status because I have been a customer since the bag phones, when C-Spire (a.k.a Cellular South) was still a little Mississippi company handled out of Meadville, MS. The customer service left a lot to be desired. One would think that since C-Spire expanded there would be an improvement with customer service. Sorry, Mississippi, I'm really not meaning to knock you especially you are my home -- borne, raised, and still living here. I just have an issue with bad customer service, period.

I called Customer Service to ask a few questions because I'm comparing providers to try to cut costs even though I have been a loyal C-Spire customer since its "birth" as Cellular South. When I would ask a question or try to make a statement, the customer representative would literally talk over me. When I stopped talking she stopped talking. When I didn't say anything she would ask if I was still there. I asked her why should I talk if she was going to continuously interrupt and talk over me. I asked the representative where she was located and she stated, "Houston." I'm thinking, "Ok, that state is still in the South so I can't use that as an excuse for her being being rude."

Back to my point... There have been very few times outside of the actual C-Spire store located in my town that I have had good customer service over the phone with a C-Spire representative. C-Spire representatives need more training with their verbal skills, not just scripted information, knowledge of products and services (which includes fees and taxes), and above all how to treat a customer no matter how aggravating that customer may be.

What a nightmare C Spire has been lately! They tell you one thing and do another. Recently my bill increased by $10.00 and they cannot tell me why and they say it is in my bill and I just do not see it and they cannot explain it. Excuse me but don't they generate the bills? I have 10 more months in my contract so to get away from the $82.00 monthly payment I was just going to terminate the contract and pay them the early termination fee of $190.00 and just go for the prepay route at $40.00 a month with the purchase of one of their phones.

Before ordering I called the customer service and not trusting C Spire I wanted to know that if I did not like the phone I ordered could I return it and I was told, "Yes you have 14 days". I received the phone. Did not like it. Did not use it at all and am now told that no returns on prepay phones! Are you serious??? They lied to me? Well come to find out I can return it all right as long as I trade it for a different phone, no getting my money back!!

I called customer service back and was told at first that I could return it under 14 days but then later they told me no that I could not. Have they gotten so low that they have to use trickery now? On top of that I really did not need to buy a phone because once I pay my fee my phone is mine to keep and I can use it on a prepay no contract $40 a month plan unless they are lying again. Do not trust anything they tell you and read the fine print. Whatever it costs I am getting away from this company and oh I almost forgot to mention that they let someone purchase over $3000.00 worth of equipment and add it to my plan? Notify me no! My phone quit working and I went in to find out whoever did this. Had my phone cut off and they let them. They credited my account back but since then my bill went up and they will or cannot tell me why! So avoid C Spire if possible!!

I have been a CS customer for well over a decade with zero complaints till I bought the G6 from them 6/2015 along with a new contract. Mistake. (Strictly Samsung as of 2003.) Purchased the Galaxy 6 along with a new 2 year contract. Over a 4ish month period, I spent more time at the Brick & Mortar (CS) than my own business, with no positive results. Yes, the Galaxy 6 is a POS (I'm on my 3rd or is it the 4th?) but after getting nowhere with C Spire, my phone still had the same problems & more!!! I gave up and decided to live with the "Smart Phone" MISERY. This evening my Galaxy died for good. I dread and can't afford to spend the next week at C Spire but I must. Also, for over 6 years, I have had the most expensive monthly plan Unlimited Everything.

I now have to buy streaming time every few weeks with my same Unlimited Plan. When I was at the store with other issues, they would take the charges off but now, I can't afford to go up there and spend 2 hours to correct the problem so my monthly 90ish bill is now 120ish. Manager at the store, worthless and unfocused. PITIFUL but nice. Actually, all of the employees that I've dealt with were pleasant. That does not make a good company, sadly. Follow through (Kelvin/manager) could help. After 3 hours on my last visit, he was going to call me with a result on Monday. Never heard from him. That's when I mentally, monetarily and physically could not take the crud from them any longer. Now that my phone has suddenly turned black screen, it looks like I will shut my business down again and spend more time at C SPIRE this holiday week... To no avail, again I am certain.

Get a pen. Write it down: NO C SPIRE. I paid a shut load for the phone, joined into a contract (again), know every employee by name, spent more time at C Spire than my own business, no results, no phone working, paying 15/20 more even though I have unlimited everything plan for over 7 years. STAY AWAY FROM C SPIRE AND SAMSUNG GALAXY 6. Yes, screaming it. I could add images off all my appointment cards with C Spire and my bills, BUT I would need a phone to do that.

I have been a CSpire customer for years, from Cellular South days. Today I tried to purchase 2 more iPhones and add my daughter and son-in-law to my account. I currently have my line and one of my sons’ on my account. The representatives I dealt with told me I had ANOTHER account that had a past due balance from TEN years ago that I had to clear up to do this. I have never had another account with them. Have always had the same account and I'm pretty sure that in the last 10 years when I bought new phones, added my son to my account, and/or went into the store to make changes to my plan, etc., that this issue would have arisen. And I'm positively certain that I would have been getting phone calls, collection letters, SOMETHING from them saying that I owed money if it’s true.

C Spire people were very nice but said they could not get me a copy of any old statements. It is hard to believe they aren't saved on a flash drive, etc. I would be glad to pay for the copies. Hope you can help me with this.

After doing business with C Spire for 8 years I called to get my number ported over and they told me and my other phone company it would be done. They turned around and cut my number off and said I told them to disconnect it. We tried getting the matter resolve and they would not allow me to speak with a supervisor. They said there is no supervisor to speak with. This is really crazy!

After moving to a new carrier, C Spire refuses to unlock my iPhone 6 plus. They lied and claimed they unlocked it on Sept. 24, 2015 and to date, the phone is still locked. Customer service is clueless and offers no help at all. $800 loss. BEWARE!!

C SPIRE promised $150 credit for each line transferred from other cellphone company in July 2015. I believed them. I transferred two lines from AT&T. They promised the credit will be available within 40 days. But they never give me the credit. I contact them, but their regional manager refused to give me the credit. Do not believe C SPIRE!

My son who is mildly cognitively delay purchased an iPhone on eBay in good faith. Initially, the phone was locked and Pew instructed him to call eBay. After calls by eBay to the owner, the phone was unlocked. We were told the seller was a female who upgraded. He has been trying to get service since then. He has purchased iTunes and yesterday he purchased a SIM card and I told him this particular phone does not use a SIM card.

While going thru the settings, I notice the mobile carrier is Cspire. I call, speak to customer service. She tells me the phone has delinquent charges therefore, Cspire cannot release its hold and I hear her utter "stolen." I speak to her supervisor at my request, his name is Solomon. He tells me he cannot release the phone because of a 2 year contract and delinquent funds. I inform him, "that is not my son's problem because he purchased this in good faith. You know who has the contract, you should be going after them."

Solomon insinuates my son may have stolen the phone. I asked for his last name and Solomon said he doesn't have one and he told me to look it up at Cspire.com, I couldn't find the address. I told him "We live in Wisconsin, how in the hell would my disabled son travel to Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana or wherever you are located to steal a phone? I want to mail the phone to you." Mr. Solomon began to laugh and told me to mail the phone to eBay. I told him he was an insensitive SOB, laughing at my disabled son. I told him I had him on speaker phone and my husband heard him making fun of my son because he purchased a phone on eBay that is no good. I was so angry.

Then Solomon tried to change the story. I told him I thought someone at Cspire would be compassionate because my son does not understand why this phone does not work and he spends all his money trying to get this phone to work. He told me he was laughing at eBay. I told Solomon I was going to go and put this on social media, his indifference to the handicaps and how he laughed at them. I told Solomon, my entire conversation has been about my son trying to get this phone to work then I gave the phone to my husband who informed Solomon he has said enough and this conversation is going nowhere. My son purchased this phone from eBay 1.5 years ago approximately.

I have been with C Spire awhile. Well they added some private charges to my phone bill that another lady owed on her phone without telling me. I feel if they knew that phone had a bill on it, they should have never allowed it to be added to my line. I now have insurance on my phone but they won't fix it until the full amount of my bill is paid. I pay almost 300 a month in phone bills and they can't fix my phone. Really? I can't continue to deal with a company like this. I'm struggling to pay this alone and my bill never seems to go down.

Too many detailed to go into. They completely messed over me and I couldn't do a thing. Lies lies and more lies. I really wish I had gotten out sooner.

I signed a 2 yr contract and they changed my plan without contacting me. They stated they didn't offer that plan no more and tried saying I used too much data unlimited. It don't matter. Recently I had to get a new phone and they didn't have the phone I had no more so I had to upgrade and they didn't tell me that I signed another 2 yr agreement when they have you to sign in the box you can't see that part. I think a bunch of us should sue the crap out of them.

After paying $500 to cancel my AT&T cell phone I went with C Spire. I took my old phone in with 1250 business contacts and had it synced to my new phone. The rep at C Spire assured me all my contacts would be on the new phone once I got it back. I get it back with 82 out of 1250+ contacts. I have wasted countless hours trying to get my contacts back and countless hours on the phone with incompetent reps from C Spire. I rely on my phone to do business and without my contacts I am unable to do my job. C Spire has offered me a $50 credit to make the situation better which I obviously refused. My contacts in my phone were worth a lot more than $50 and I also racked up an IT bill since the lady at the store asked me to call my IT company (after 5pm) to see if they could help. This company takes no blame on completely ruining 8 years worth of business contacts.

I went to the Bahamas in May, had a wonderful time. Until I got my phone bill. I used my phone to take pictures while I was there. Little did I know that the whole time I was there my phone, without my knowing it, ran up over $245 in data charges!!! I did not use the phone for anything but taking pictures. The phone had a program that was using data the whole time. They got me this time. Next time I leave the country, I will pull the battery out of the phone. In the meantime I will look for another provider!

I am not satisfied at all with C Spire! I regret renewing my service! It's the worse service ever and as soon as I can get out of this plan all 3 of my phones will be cut off and with Verizon...

C Spire Wireless (formerly Cellular South) Company Profile