TracFone

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought this phone in end of 2013 or beginning 2014. I had free minutes for the first year. According to the sales pitch at that time everything you bought got tripled. Data, minutes and texts. Very first time I called I had to argue about everything. Finally I was able to get the minutes tripled but had to buy the texts. It is the same situation every time I have to call customer service to get the minutes tripled. This is my last trip out with them. Not worth the bs. They act like they're the only ones who have phones.

I purchased a real nice flip phone that is a combination of old and new school. I received it 11/30/2016 in the morning and knew I needed to activate it so I called Tracfone to get started. What a flipping nightmare!!! I would speak to a representative briefly and sit for a half hour or longer waiting to speak to a tech. Now it is approaching 48 hours and still haven't spoke to a tech. This is NOT proper customer service by any means! Phones are not cheap as it is and I wanted to eliminate a bill so I thought a prepaid would be great.

TracFone, you all better get things right with customers before you all have no more customers or a business to run. The aggravation alone and people spending money that they don't have is a disaster in the making, like a law suit from everyone who has been done dirty!!! TracFone, you started out a good company. I just don't understand your ignorance towards potential customers. Such a damn shame for a wireless phone company.

The following has happened twice: I go online to the TracFone website to add airtime. My payment information has changed so I need to update a credit card before checking out. I get to the edit screen and cannot enter any information in any of the areas provided. Frustrated, I start a chat with a representative and relate that I have tried two different browsers Chrome and IE. He responds that I may try FireFox. I ask if he is saying that FireFox will work. He says "no", but that I may try it. I give up and spend airtime minutes on the phone providing all my new card information (and getting a sales pitch at the same time).

I have many, many online accounts where I have changed payment information countless times using various browsers with NO problem whatsoever. I suspect there is an unwritten policy that TracFone is not telling me about. Could it be they want me to burn airtime doing something that could be done online without a sales pitch? Regardless, this is extremely irritating and time-consuming. TracFone should be more transparent about this issue so that customers who currently have an account don't have to conduct business via phone.

Don't use this company. They are a scam. Sounds really good but after 3 chat calls and one regular call I wouldn't recommend them to a third world country. We purchased two Tracfones from Walmart. Paid $200.00 for a year's worth of minutes for two phones to replace our AT&T phone because of numerous fraud attempts on that iPhone... I decided to use the byop and transfer the number to the iPhone. I don't know what happened, but the chat line set up an entirely different phone number and when I called to find out about this, the customer care line said that the incorrect number was the number they had. They would not transfer over our minutes, total of 760 on one phone and 789 on the second phone.

So there we are with two dead flip phones and minutes that cannot be used. I'm not will to pay an additional $200.00 for more minutes on a number that can't be used. So there I am back to looking for a phone provider. My suggestion to anyone is do not use this company. In the long run you'll save money if you go to a carrier without a contract.

I liked my 2 g dumb phone and they forced me to change. I lost over 900 minutes after giving up after 2 weeks and 4 phone calls. The new phone is a smart phone, all I want is a stinking phone. I don't need a stinking computer on my phone. After my time expires I am going to another brand as far from TracFone as I can go. Customer service was polite.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Unbelievable bad. I work in customer service and theirs is the worst ever! I bought a ZTE-Quartz phone which is a cheap android. It started randomly resetting. I called their Cust. Serv. and for some reason the rep. I got on the phone reported I said it was damage which it is not. It is in pristine condition. Three calls and 2 1/2 hours later they finally routed me to 'corporate' (which really wasn't at their Corp. off. anyway. Still in the Philippines). On my first three calls I had to repeat too many times to count that the phone never was or is now 'damaged'. I was told by 3 levels of management that it would be impossible to repair/replace because it was 'damaged'.

After gently explaining that what they were doing is illegal and breaking a contract and that I would sue them if they didn't replace it... then forwarded to 'corporate'. The woman at 'corporate' finally agreed to replace it but that I would have to send my bad phone in and wait for a replacement so I'll be without a phone for more than a week. (Thank you Tracfone!) One can only assume they have a policy of incorrectly reporting phones as damaged on the first call and then proceeding to refuse to replace bad phones under warranty.

Completely and utterly unhappy with the experience I had with my phone. The phone (ZTE Valet) was becoming very slow and laggy. So I decided to perform a factory reset and what happened when the phone had turned back on was there was no service even though there was service bars. I could not call anyone or send messages at all. I ended up on the phone with support for an hour. Both of the people I spoke with hardly understood what I was saying and it was clear that english was their second language. Long story short, after an hour, they told me that they were doing a system update for the phone and that it should be all set in an hour followed by a "Have a nice day." No update happened on the phone and even after turning it on and off I still had no service. Now the phone is junk. Not okay.

Tracfone doesn't work! None of your people can explain why! They waste more than an HOUR of my minutes BECAUSE they don't know what "RESTRICTION 56" means!!! And it is your policy to not reimburse me for my spent 60+ minutes because I did not have access to a land line! Your phone was a USELESS piece of ** at a time when I had no alternative to get back in touch with someone at an IMPORTANT time! The people in the Philippines and Belize cannot be of ANY assistance because they don't seem to know their jobs. And they apparently have sub-standard equipment/headsets/phones on inadequate networks, in crowded, NOISY rooms, where their heavily accented English as a second language can hardly be UNDERSTOOD!!!

I bought few phones from them with service that I need just for a emergency so that means I am not going to use my minutes or service for long time, but they cut me off every time my service was up. That means I did not use like 10 minutes or even less so that means taking my money for free. And I was thinking they did make mistake so I bought another phone with another service. It happened again. For me they are the worst cheaters that one could find.

The design of the phones combined with service encourages leaving the browser button on with inefficiency and perhaps even fraud. A user assumes they have ended the phone call and the browser automatically goes on wiping out thousands of minutes. The company knows that no browsing has gone on during that period. I will never purchase TracFone minutes or use one again.

New TracFone customer. Activated it online, but it never asked me what phone # I wanted transferred so issued a new one. Called tech support. Not sure what country they are in, but English was fair to good. They got the phone # transferred from Verizon and we made 1 call without a problem. Two days later message said minutes were all used up. There was 1,300 minutes remaining. Called tech support. Explained that when they cancelled the original activated # number apparently all the minutes did not transfer. Huh? After 12 minutes, they dropped the call. I waited 3 minutes for a call back, none came so called them and was explaining what happened to a new tech support person. They did call me back on the other line. After a total of perhaps 20 minutes they had it running. So far so good, but we'll see.

This is the worst experience I have ever had. I had to spend almost an hour of my minutes while the foreigner got all the info from my phone. Waiting on hold and transferred 4 times giving each person the same information. I kept getting my calls interrupted even after my new phone was ordered. They did not keep any promise they made and I don't know that I will continue this after the end of the year. If you are here getting opinions, you don't want to deal with TracFone!!!

Bought a new Tracfone to upgrade and can't get some features to work. When I call for customer service I get someone who doesn't speak English and tries to run me around. Never getting anywhere with the problem.

I had used TracFone for a couple of years and was reasonably happy. My phone got damaged and couldn't be repaired, so I ordered a replacement phone from their internet site. A few days later I get a notice from FedEx that I was going to have to wait at my house all day long to sign for it. This was an inconvenience I wished they had mentioned when I ordered it. It finally arrived about a week after ordering it, but when I tried to activate it I couldn't get it to connect. I was surprised since they had said it was supposed to be easy to activate/transfer. I consulted their tech people and after about 3 hours of them trying to set it up they finally got it to connect (Thank goodness my phone had a good charge). I noticed a little while later that the new phone had almost no signal and it would go in and out of service every few minutes.

I called their tech people back and they worked on it for another hour and then claimed that they had fixed it, but nothing had changed. I called their customer service people, and the lady there told me that they had sold me a phone that wouldn't work in my area. She said it was the wrong technology and that was why the old phone worked, but new one didn't? I don't understand how that could happen since I had bought it off their list of phones that are supposed to work where I live. She said I could return it for a refund and to "Put it in the mailer with the invoice that was in the box" and send it back to them. That would be fine except they didn't include any mailer or invoice in the box. Now I will have to return it at my own expense and hope that I get my refund. Now I've found out that I am going to lose 2,000+ roll over minutes and will also have to buy even more minutes to activate the next phone. What a scam.

Before buying a phone for the first time, ask your neighbors which cellphone service gets best reception in your area and jot it down. Buy a BYO phone or a Tracfone from Walmart, or Amazon (which has the most choices). Make sure it uses the service that gives you best reception. (If it has choices, you should be safe). Do as much as you can without calling for support. Use the online site to register the phone, input the activation code that comes with the phone, and buy minutes and service time. Buy the most minutes and service time you can in a single purchase; that is how to get the cheapest price per minute. If you do more texting than phone calls, buy extra text minutes.

Don't expect quality customer service. When you get someone who doesn't speak worth a hoot or understand you, ask for their supervisor, put phone on speaker, and wait. Supervisors know more English and have better understanding of the product and the context of your questions. Regular help just reads from scripts and do not know what else to say. I get better service without talking to someone. If I have a technical question, like who gives best service for my address, I ask for Tech Support. You wait for it, but get better service and likely will get correct answers.

My experience with this company has been terrible. They outsource to the Philippines. They don't know English, and they are very dishonest. If I didn't have so many minutes I would cancel my service.

After running out of data on my Bring Your Own Phone, I added more only for my phone to tell me I have no data plan at all. I talked to several representatives both by phone and chat, none of them could give me an answer. One even told me I needed to have my phone serviced. I finally found a solution online, the answer was on TracFone's own website! Who trains these idiots?

When I crossed into Canada, I received the error message (invalid SIM card). I read online that this has happened to others. TracFone customer service said they never heard of this but they would send me a new card. A week later, I called looking for the SIM card. They must have lost the first request even though I had a tracking number. I was told a card would be sent and that a SIM card purchased elsewhere (Wal-Mart or Amazon) would not work, it had to come from TracFone. It's been 3 days and no card yet. I believe the death of SIM cards should be researched by TracFone and customers warned if this is a regular issue. I purchased the Samsung Grand Prime from QVC. I'm satisfied with the phone but the Canadian travel is an issue.

Lost air time and "Active" (use of) my Tracfone. I have been using Tracfone since 2006 and never had this happen before. I used my LG 329G Tracfone to talk to my brother on 10-30-16. After I finished, I had well over 200 minutes remaining and my expiration date was 06-05-17. On 11-05-16, I turned on my Tracfone to find out the exact number of minutes I have remaining. I was SHOCKED to see "Unregistered SIM" on the display. According to tech support, this phone has expired back in September!!! The tech person said I need a new SIM card and probably will be getting a different number!!! Also, I have to pay for airtime!! (I lost everything). Tech person said, my phone number was given to someone else!!!

I got a rebel LTE phone ordered from TracFone online. Received on OCT 28th, the phone only has signal strength of 0 to one bar. Could not make or receive calls. Tracfone placed a call to my phone and I did not receive it till I was 5 miles from my house. I called 800 8677183 to get a refund on oct 29. They WOULD NOT return my money. I went to Walmart and purchased the same phone Rebel LTE with code on box of (GSM). Now I have 2 to 3 bars signal at my house. But I'm also out $60.00 because you bastards wont refund my money on a phone that will not work at my house. I will NEVER purchase another phone online from you bastards again. And when you look at Tracfone's website, on reasons to buy online, on Tracfone's website (it says 30 day return policy). You liars.

Didn't re-up overpriced minutes for a few months, (less than 6), then bought more, and they told my to reactivate my phone, which was purchased less than a year ago, and kept active until 5 months ago. I would need to buy a new sim card as well as the minutes for the phone. I understand if I couldn't keep the same phone number, but it's hilarious they want me to buy a new sim card. This company is a joke and overpriced. Customer service was rude, and they don't fear the bad reviews because that is all they have.

I have an old Samsung phone & wanted to switch to a new phone & take my # with me. After 3+ hours over several days and a lot of double talk, I found that I can't. Had bought a new TracFone and found out TracFone & Straight Talk are same company and they make it impossible to switch. Customer service ran me around in circles & switched me to 7-8 different tech people over a 7 day period, ordered a new sim card, all to no avail.

I purchased a TracFone and airtime card together from Walmart. I was unable to unlock screen to get into defective phone. Several calls were made to customer service (India) who activated minutes card but no tech assistance with phone. Returned phone to Walmart for a refund. No refund on $30 airtime card from Tracfone or Walmart. Minutes were never used but card had been activated.

I bought a no contract TracFone from HSN. It came with a year's worth of minutes. It seems to only work if I stay in my zip code. I recently had to evacuate my home due to hurricane Matthew and the phone was useless. I could not make any calls and if my phone rang it would drop call before I could pick it up. It was a good thing I was with a friend who had a phone that works. I still have like 750 minutes on this thing and the phone itself sucks. It is the Pixi 5.5 by Alcatel. Hard to use and just flat out won't respond when you try to answer a call.

I have had service with TracFone for the last yr and a half and have had nothing but problems. Agents speak poor English and difficult to communicate with. Agents are not trained properly to answer customer's questions accurately and consequently the customer makes costly choices. Minutes are lost, there are overcharges, calls are dropped. Will be looking for another provider and cross my fingers that Donald Trump gets elected president so we can keep jobs in US and not shipped to other countries. If you are going to outsource your customer service calls to other countries, you need to make sure the agents can speak English and comprehend it. YOU HAVE VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

A463BG BIGGEST P. O.S EVER ENCOUNTERED. Navigation is bs. Can't connect to home wifi, phone shows either obtaining ip address, connecting or avoiding poor connection. Nothing about this phone or system is simple. The biggest problem is normal phone and text usage. What type of person would approve this format??? Sad part is these idiots a probably pulling down ten figures (really). At the speed of love and god help us, die with our boots on, if you're going to die. It is ashamed that the more advanced we become, the lower intelligence becomes. (Really)!!! ** me! Tracfone go away. You are a thorn in our side!

Inept customer service. Have to actually ask them to spell what they're saying, can't be understood. Try to use website & constantly malfunctions. Purchase airtime cards at Walmart and they will not accept their own cards ("we don't accept, can't recognize", etc). Try to text for assistance, they respond in Spanish stating they don't understand the problem.

3 times have let time expire because they wouldn't accept or enter card #, so I have to call to get service turned back on - have to use someone else's phone or computer. Unnecessarily long delays on the phone and internet. If you can still use your phone, they delay so your time gets used up. If you have problems with their devices they are condescending, repeat same remedies you told them you already tried.

I wanted to transfer service over to my own phone. I was told to buy a BYOP SIM Kit. I did exactly that. Went 2 weeks without a phone, back and forth with Customer Service, only to find out that the SIM was for AT&T not T-Mobile phone. Was told they would send me a new SIM for my phone. Waited over 2 weeks, ended up buying the correct one myself. Another 2 weeks without a phone, back and forth with Customer Service to finally get my phone to work. After about a week the phone then stopped working, went round and round back and forth with Customer Service, and was told somehow phone was deactivated so they fixed it after several more days without a phone.

Now all of a sudden I have been unable to make or receive calls for another 4 days. Told me they are going to send me a new AT&T SIM card. I said, "NO that will not work, been there done that." Now they are telling me to send them my BYOP phone that I bought and then they will send me a replacement phone. They will not tell me what they are sending me, supposedly their warehouse handles that and they can't tell me what it is. I don't want to send in my phone that I bought and own, not knowing what they are going to send me as a replacement.

I would never do business with this company ever again. Customer service reps are rude, uninformed, untrained, and unsympathetic. They could care a less that you are inconvenienced and they truly act like you are bothering them. You will be told 5 different things from 5 different people, I can not express enough -- DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE!!! HORRIBLE!!! THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

Only in the details will you discover this cannot be done...the smartphones TF puts out are garbage (big surprise) and nearly unusable. We gave up on one (bought it when caught in the 2G-3G upgrade silliness) to return to a simple model as those have worked OK over the years -- but in the fine print you'll note that minutes don't transfer that direction (new phone to older models). TracFone has for a number of years been a cheap and marginal solution to the absurd costs of the big contracts...but they really seem to be falling apart (read the reviews) and spending anything more than the bare minimum with them for a back up phone seems inadvisable. This "we can't (won't) transfer your minutes back to a simpler phone" certainly seems like a scam to me.

We bought a TracFone, minutes and service days for my elderly mother. We discovered the phone repeated deactivated for no reason. I would need to call the company and reactivate it for her. After numerous times, I complained of the danger for my mother. They decided to send her a new phone. After several days of unsuccessfully moving her lifelong telephone number to a new phone, the company told us the phone only worked with AT&T--a service not available in our area. (A quick look at her zip code would have told them that) They agreed to send a new phone. None arrived.

After several weeks, I called again. They quickly agreed to send another phone and had me speak directly to their "shipping" department. No phone ever arrived. We lost about 6 months of service time, 500 minutes of call times a useless phone, and the hours of time I used in dealing with their tech support. I am sorry I can only give them one star. I would like to give them a minus 10 rating because of the lying.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.
  • Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.
  • Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.
  • International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.
  • Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.
  • Best for TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones