TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.4/5 (541 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

Top TracFone Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using Tra...

Verified

What is TracFone Wireless?

TracFone is a nationwide prepaid cell phone service. It lets customers keep their existing phones and numbers. Customers in the market for a new phone can browse the large inventory of name-brand phones, including LG, Samsung, Motorola and Apple. TracFone phones can be purchased at a discounted rate, and shipping is free.

Some plans can be set to refill automatically, while others require manual refills online or at a TracFone location. Customers can add extra features to their plans, such as global calling or additional minutes, text and data.

Other features that can be added to a basic plan include lost and stolen phone coverage and mobile protection. These services act as insurance in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

TracFone offers a wide selection of name brand phones, many of which are great for kids and seniors.

TracFone Wireless plans

TracFone Wireless offers a variety of plans at different price points. Some of the most popular plans are:

Length of planMinutes/textDataMonthly price*
30 daysUnlimited3 GB$30
30 daysUnlimited2 GB$25
365 days1500/15001.5 GB$125
60 days750/10001.0 GB$35
30 days500/500500 MB$15

*At the time of publishing

Many plans are $5 to $10 cheaper than the listed price when you sign up for auto-refill. If you want to add global calling or more minutes and texts, you can purchase add-ons. TracFone Wireless also offers student discounts.

TracFone Wireless has plans for smartphones and basic phones and plans designed for people who talk and text more than they browse the internet or stream music. Basic phone plans range from $10 to $100 a month, and smartphone plans range from $15 to $125.

Customers can use their compatible phones with TracFone Wireless or purchase one through the company. Customers can purchase basic flip phones for $20, older Galaxy phones for $30 and iPhone 7s for $240 along with many other phone options at different price points.

How much does a one-year TracFone card cost?

The one-year smartphone plan costs $125 at the time of publishing. This is a one-time purchase that covers your wireless service for 365 days. The auto-refill price is $118 at the time of publishing. With this plan you receive:

• 1500 minutes
  • 1500 texts
  • 1.5 GB of data at 4G LTE Speed
  • No contracts

Customers can purchase refill cards at Walmart and Target, over the phone or at one of the 70,000 TracFone locations nationwide.

TracFone Wireless FAQ

What network is TracFone?
TracFone Wireless uses a mobile virtual network operator that includes Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation and U.S. Cellular.
Is there an unlimited plan for TracFone?
Yes. The StraightTalk service offers 30 MB of data and unlimited calls and texts for $45 per month.
Does TracFone Wireless charge for Wi-Fi?
No. As long as your phone is active and has Wi-Fi capabilities, there is no charge.
What is TracFone Wireless compatible with?
TracFone Wireless will work on GSM Unlocked phones, AT&T-compatible phones, T-Mobile-compatible phones, Verizon-compatible phones and some CDMA Technology-compatible phones.
What is TracFone’s coverage area?
TracFone has extensive coverage on the East Coast of the county and central states, with less coverage in the mountain states and on the West Coast.

Is TracFone legit?

Yes. TracFone Wireless is a trusted and reliable cell phone provider that lets people stay connected without signing long-term contracts. Its affordable monthly plans offer basic features and are ideal for those who do not use their phones all the time.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

Eventually after a week of calling and being on hold they managed to inactivate my phone and lose all my accumulated minutes and texts. When finally the number was changed I lost the aforementioned and started over fighting with people, call after call, I gave up. Not worth the stress. I rarely use the phone thankfully so buy 60 minute card every 3 months, Profoundly frustrating company. I am sure the employees mean well and I doubt it is their fault. Awful service by polite people.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I have been a customer with Tracfone for almost 10 years. Every year in June I add $100 and get Triple minutes and texts plus my minutes and texts rollover. I currently must have about 7000 minutes and texts available to use. I don’t have much data, since I mostly use Wifi so it also rolls over. I live in Canada and since about 2015 have been a snowbird.

I have had a few issues over the years when they have upgraded to 3G and 5G networks. They did this while I was in Canada when I could not do the upgrade as the phone stops working at the border. So I would be anxious about whether the phone would work when I arrived back in the US. Some of the features I did not like, but tolerated was I could not text a Canadian phone and had to use a toll-free number to call Canada. I called this number and then needed to type in the Canadian number. It was a hassle, but it used the minutes as if I called a US number. I was able to call my friends and family in Canada so it worked.

I returned to US a few days ago and tried to make a call to a Canadian phone. When I called the toll-free number the call did not go through. After talking to at least 5 customer service people and spending several hours doing so, I became most frustrated, I could not resolve this issue of losing free access to calling Canada. I tried to explain that I have been doing this for years. The only response I got from them is that no such plan exists and I need to pay $10/month to add this service.

When I asked them to check the history, they told me they did and could find any history showing I called Canada. It still makes no sense to me. When I did ask to speak to a supervisor, I was told they are not allowed to transfer calls. When I asked if a supervisor could call me back, I was told I would hear from someone in 10-15 minutes, but never received a call. I sent some emails and did hear back from someone the next day. However, I was told the same thing - no such plan has exists or has existed and I need to pay for Global calling at additional cost of $10/mo.

I feel like I am in the twilight zone. If they told me that they had changed the plan, that would make sense. I may not like it, but it would explain why I can’t call Canada now. But to say I have never been able to do this when I know I have makes me feel like they are saying I am lying. I don’t think I have ever received such poor customer service ever. I am not sure if it is the fault of the staff I talked to. They are doing what they have been told to do. It appears to me that this is what management asks them to do. This is only speculation, though.

The good news is that once this happened, I searched the internet and found a company that has a much better plan for me - monthly cost of $10/mo, unlimited texts and calls within US and to Canada, no contract and can cancel anytime. I will not renew and hope that I will be able to unlock my phone and transfer my phone number to another carrier. Tracfone did not seem to care if I took my business elsewhere but I hope they do not make it hard to transfer. If I am able and have some new information, I will add comments about the transfer. It looks to me like there are much better options out there so I advise people to stay clear of Tracfone. They don’t seem to care to keep customers and it is not worth speaking to people who can’t listen to you.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

After a full weekend of fighting to get my number back that they took from me in the middle of the night they've offered me a month of free service then shut my phone off. It took a full week of calling everyday to get what they had promised me. Them and SafeLink are terrible.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

For the last two weeks, I asked them 3 times to unlock my old iPhone SE that I used for over 2 years. They told me I'll get a code to unlock it. I never did. I called again. They said it is already unlocked. They keep lying. They have lying, horrible, incompetent customer service.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I have been Tracfone for about 8 years. I guess they decided to deactivate my phone right out the blue. I tried to chat with these people and nothing happens. They keep wanting to send me a code to a non working phone. They are the most disorganized service I have ever encountered. They will not send a email with the code so now I'm stuck waiting for a friend to come by so I can get this resolved. I have a feeling I'll have to find another carrier.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

I have a new Motorola Android G7 cell phone that is around 5 months and a half old. This phone is covered with the company warranty. My cellular phone device doesn't have good coverage in certain parts of New York City, sometimes I'm not even able to dial calls or receive calls in certain areas. There is also something wrong with my phone screen.

I called TracFone Wireless technical support. They promised me that they were going to send me a replacement smartphone but they are not keeping their word or promises. They are not sending me the phone and the prepaid postage label. This is very wrong from this phone company. I have been calling for around 6 days, they keep telling me that the phone and the postage label are arriving but I haven't received any package tracking number or any email message confirmation. I think they are lying to me when I'm calling them.

They told me over the phone that they sent me this email message with the tracking number information around 5 or 6 times but I haven't still received anything. I got a very mean lady from The Philippines last Friday, she was providing me wrong information and she refused to transfer me to her supervisor. She was using tactics to avoid that I will talk with the supervisor. I really need my replacement phone but they don't seem to care. I always get people located overseas and I can't reach anybody in The United States by phone. I think all the agents are located in The Philippines. I read some complaints from other consumers who are also experiencing problems with this company.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

I have used Tracfone off and on for over 20 years, happily, without issue and reasonable customer service! HOWEVER, in the last 2 years things have changed and Tracfone has simply failed. Tracfone has become a customer service nightmare, problems redeeming airtime cards, the website often has issues, chat support is available 7 days a week...BUT often it's NOT actually accessible. IF you need support be prepared to be for a headache, to be transferred MANY times and stay on hold for hours upon hours WITHOUT resolution! Customer service will flat out lie to you on the phone to get rid of you: Example: "no problem, absolutely we can do that, I just need to transfer you to the correct department." Then with the next transfer or call the new representative has to tell you, "No. We can't do what you were just told." Tracfone has become a bad joke! If you need to EVER contact support don't get tracfone...even "limited" support services like Mint Mobile are better!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

I signed up with Tracfone for the lower cost, but what it cost me in stress was not worth it. Every time I tried to use the website to add data, I had problems. Often I could not complete this task. Every time I called customer service, I got someone reading from a script who could not answer questions directly. Frequently I would try to sign in and it would say my account could not be validated. Or you sign in, and then try to add data, and then it asks you to sign in again, but then it doesn't work. Customer service could not resolve this after hours on the phone. I just changed to a different company, and it took me 4 hours to get my phone unlocked and port the number, mostly because of Tracfone's obstructive policies. They don't provide you an account number. Instead, they use the phone's IMEI number. They refuse to tell you this number. They send text messages that contradict each other. I have never had a worse experience.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I had been a customer of Tracfone for over 20 years. Recently I experienced difficulties with my phone and I had to send it to them for a replacement phone. They received my phone on September 30th and I was to expect a replacement phone in 3 to 5 business days. I made numerous calls to their customer service number and was told that everything was on track to receive a phone in 3 to 5 days. More time passed and I kept calling to try and find a status of the replacement phone. Nothing had been done. All they could do was note the file and then tell me that it should be 3 to 5 days. I spoke to their Corporate office on October 13th and was informed that a step was missed, nothing had been done, but they would note the file and expect a phone in 3 to 5 days.

Hearing nothing, I called again October 18th and I was told the same thing. I asked to speak to someone who could assist me in this matter but was told that there was no one. I asked the Corporate Service individual if this matter could be escalated to the proper area so that a phone could be sent out. He said all he could do was to note the file. I wanted to buy a phone and send them the bill but that was not an option either. At this point, I did not think that I would ever receive a replacement phone from them. I enrolled in Mint Mobile. Of course, I had to purchase a new phone with them and enroll with them. All of this was at my expense. I lost over 5 months of service with Tracfone and the expense of a new phone. There was no customer service at all.

I cannot believe that no one could help me out and that the matter could not be escalated to someone who could help me. Certainly, this is a "black eye" for them. No one should ever experience what I did. The consumer should explore all of their options before enrolling with Tracfone. It is a shame and I am really disappointed with them. I did write a couple of letters to their office regarding this matter. I can only hope that Management takes this to heart and looks in to this matter. I would not want something like this to ever happen to any customer again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

My dad has been a TracFone customer for 20+ years. They tell him they can't service his old phone so they send him a new phone. Spent 3+ hours with customer service trying to get it to work and still nothing. I can't get his account verified and they have been zero help. They won't allow a refund of his minutes he can't use either. Save your money and go with a better provider. If I could give a negative review, I would.

TracFone Wireless Company Information