TracFone

TracFone Reviews

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

2390 TracFone Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I ordered a TracFone because my iPhone with T-Mobile was not allowing me to make calls. And I truly love this phone. I almost always have service and the calls are crisp. Texting is good because they always go through. I am tempted to switch over from T-Mobile completely and just use my TracFone primarily. I would say the only problem is the internet is slow however I only have 1 GB a month so that is probably why it's so slow. Either way I like the TracFone service and they are a good alternative to the expensive big brands.

Original review: May 30, 2019

After paying a lot of money to Verizon for a dozen or more years, I decided to try TracFone with my Motorola Play Z Droid, a CDMA phone which can only use Verizon's cell towers. My coverage with TracFone has been identical to my being with Verizon because my CDMA phone uses the same Verizon towers. After a few weeks using TracFone, I switched my wife's Motorola Moto G6 (also CDMA) from Verizon to TracFone with the same great outcome. Our total monthly cost is less than one-third of what it had been. BTW, neither of us is a heavy data user. We each use less than .5G per month.

While I strongly endorse TracFone's cell service using CDMA devices and necessarily Verizon towers, I have no basis for evaluating using GSM devices and their use of non-Verizon towers. I would give TracFone 5 stars, but their chat and phone support need some improvement. Some of their reps are very hard to understand and need to learn to express themselves more clearly.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have had Verizon for years. When I found myself in the market for new cell phone, I decided to look outside the box. Wow, I am so glad I did! I bought my own phone, found a bargain on Moto G5plus Gold that I love. I tried TracFone for a month (no contract), and was so happy with it that I bought the 1 year plan. A one time payment on my phone and then a one time payment on my service for the year. I'm done, no monthly payments, yay :). When you do the math and you realize this saves SO much money. And I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything - except the high monthly bill that I never understood. The customer service, both online and by phone, is great. The reception when talking on the phone is exceptional. Texting, etc... all works perfect.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I had just one problem about a year where I could not get into my online account, but I called for help and it was cleared up. Right now I just buy some cards for 90 days at a time and key in the code to add it to my account. This seems to be the best value for my phone dollar.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I’ve had Tracfone for 20+ years and continue to love them. I don’t want all that other stuff, no smartphone and cameras, and such. Just a good old handy cell phone... and they deliver. I would like a QWERTY keypad, yet I’m not trading this phone for one that has camera, internet, games... Let me have my phone and text and I’m a happy camper. I especially like prepaying and not having to pay a monthly charge when my usage varies greatly from month to month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

This is by far the WORST mobile phone service on the face of the earth. I have had COUNTLESS bad experiences from the mobile data not working to long hold times to 3rd world people on the other end of the line who are CLUELESS what they're doing making you hold long periods of time to fix issues. STAY AWAY from THEM. YOU will be SORRY to ever USE THESE PEOPLE. What a TOTAL and COMPLETE NIGHTMARE.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I called to activate a phone, it asks you to enter the gift card #. I was able to activate however the phone would not complete phone calls, I was transferred to the I.T department which I stayed on the phone for 1 hour 32 minutes with no success for the phone issue. She stated to me to return the phone where I purchased for a refund. I later called TracFone on how to get a refund for the $25 gift card that I used to activate the phone which did not work. Was told they don't give refunds for gift cards, which I understand but under these circumstances where they could not get the phone to make calls is clearly not my fault and now I am out $25. This company gave me the runaround every time I called.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I ordered a phone online which was to be shipped by FedEx. Two day shipping. 3 weeks later and still no phone. At this point I blame FedEx. Phone was finally received back to TracFone. I am then told by TracFone I have to wait 30 days before refund can be issued. Why? They have my money and the phone I never received. Thirty days go by and no refund has been issued. Customer service is nonexistent. They are rude and definitely not helpful. Scripted responses over and over.

Spoke to a supervisor who told me the refund would be issued on a specific date. But No, he lied. They pass you back and forth. If you are thinking of buying from TracFone Just DON'T DO It. They don't stand behind anything!!!! Maybe they hope you will get frustrated and give up then they can keep your money and the brand new phone. I won't give up. I will call every day several times a day as well as reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I recently renewed my yearly TracFone service, paying for 1.5 gb of data. However I only received 1.411 gb (89 mb short of 1.5 gb). This can be verified by screen captures I made of my account on TracFone’s website during the process. After chatting with “Jade” of TracFone’s customer service for nearly an hour (and having a request to speak with his or her manager denied) he or she agreed to credit my account with the additional data, to take place on the following day. As of two days later my account is still not credited. I again contacted TracFone’s customer service, speaking this time with “Russell” with basically the same results: no credit to my account. Not only did TracFone fail to deliver what I paid for, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, being either unable or unwilling to rectify the problem. If product misrepresentation and poor customer service are among your concerns, I strongly recommend against dealing with TracFone.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I needed a replacement phone quickly, so I placed an online order with the assistance of a chat representative. The only free shipping option was 2-day FedEx, everything else was weirdly $7 and up. I should have seen the signs then. FedEx is unable to deliver packages to my address, but usually this isn't a major problem as delivery updates can be made.

After speaking to FedEx after the tracking was generated, I was basically told that TracFone's contract with them doesn't allow the recipient to: 1) Change the address, 2) Hold for pickup, 3) Refuse delivery. I can do absolutely nothing to get the package or have it return. I even left a note for FedEx to either release the package or call me to complete it and the driver ignored it.

So, I'm left without a phone that I paid for. I called TracFone and spent over an hour, spoke with probably 10 representatives to come to this final conclusion: "No, we can do nothing for you. You will have to wait for the package to be in scanned at our warehouse after being returned before we issue a refund. This can take a minimal of 2 weeks and extend to 30 days before you see the money back." Until then, I'm out a phone, I'm out my money, and I have to keep removing door tags from FedEx. This is bad customer service and I hope the demographic that this company targets really considers their choices.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs