TracFone
1.54/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

TracFone Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2282 TracFone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I got this iPhone SE last week or so with 1300 minutes on it. I already had 2 older TracFone flip phones. One with 600 min. and the other one with 1100 min. I asked if I could transfer the phone number from the 600 min. phone to my new phone. No problem, switched over, although nobody told me the older phone would now be deactivated and I would lose the 600 min. But wait! There’s more! I asked if I could transfer the 1100 min. from my other flip phone and was told "yes, but you will lose the 1300 min. on your new iPhone SE"!! But I already paid for those 1100 min!? I just wanted to use the new iPhone SE and get rid of the older flip phones. They were no help at all... Been with these monkeys a good many years too. Needless to say they are losing my business AND my family’s and my friends too. Talked to two (supposed) supervisors, no luck. Going with a better outfit. You know where you can stick the 3000!! mins. TracFone!!! I could care less!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Had phone a month, then failed. Returned under warranty. Have called service 5 times, (each time talked to an agent in India/Pakistan). Had to repeat my information each time, then on hold for 20 minutes each time! Finally talked to a manager in Miami office, I did better with India! I am out a $120 phone, have lost my phone time, and probably lost my old phone #. The phone was my primary unit (no longer have a landline). Every doctor, business, and personal uses that #. I feel I have been abused by this company!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Why would anyone ever in their right mind purchase minutes TracFone service when they can get unlimited phone calls, unlimited text and at least 2 GB of data for only 15 to $25 at any other company? Plus they could have unlimited data starting at $35 a month. Check around this company is ridiculously priced ($120 for 1500 minutes talk, 1500 texts and only 1.5 GB data.) For $25 you get only 500 minutes, 1000 texts and a measly 500mb of data! Shop around. You can even get unlimited everything including data without throttled speeds for $35 a month. This company is laughable I don't know who would ever purchase a plan from them at these outrageous prices for very little service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Everything about their service is fine... as long as you don't have a problem. I bought a smartphone from their website and it arrived with physical defects. I called 9 people to get it activated and receive calls. Then spoke to a lady who tried telling me my warranty didn't cover defects I didnt cause. Finally get to a manager about replacing my phone and she couldn't tell me whether or not I would receive a phone or an empty box (to send my phone back). It's been 3 days, waiting for the box or phone and magically my service has been deactivated. No records of my phone number or SafeLink even though SafeLink says I'm still enrolled. I don't even have the box or new phone yet! I need a working phone for work. I'm so upset!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been a TracFone user for 5 years while visiting the US. Since we are not resident in the US for more than 3 months we only purchase 3 months worth of time. Each year we have to obtain a new SIM card as the old one expires unless you keep active minutes. I purchased a new phone from TracFone last year, used it in 2018 and now want to use it for travel outside the US. The phone is locked and TracFone will not unlock unless I take a year contract. This is ridiculous as I own the phone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I purchased a smartphone with the triple minute addition. I am not getting triple minutes. Recently, when I ran out of minutes, I could not get my phone to accept the minutes I bought and paid for and TracFone's customer service was not service at all... They are useless. If you want bad service and to not get what you pay for, by all means, use TracFone...

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

While on a trip to Arizona recently; I could not use my TracFone. I was unable to make or receive calls even though I had 5 bars. When I returned home I called them and was told that because I was out of my zip code that is why I was unable to make or receive calls. The only way to remedy this is to have contacted them while I was on vacation and have my zip code and phone number changed. As far as I am concerned this is false advertising.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

On 12/11/18, I purchased a gig of data for my phone. By 12/20, it still had not appeared on my account. I chatted with a very rude and condescending agent but he asked for the transaction ID and at the time, I was on my phone waiting to pick up my granddaughter so I told him I’d have to try again. When I got home, I chatted with a guy named Nestor. He was much nicer but not much help either. He was difficult to understand but said I had to give them 24 hours to ‘update’ their system. I was to contact them again after the 24 hours and they would manually add the gig.

I called in today approximately 26 hours later and spoke with a woman. I was unable to get her name as she had an accent and I couldn’t understand the name she gave. She said she was doing some calculations and checking daily use and stuff. Went off to talk to her supervisor, came back and did some more calculations and checking and then told me there was no way to prove what my balance was before the purchase so there was nothing she could do. Ok, so what calculations and checking was she doing? If she was looking at my daily usage, why can’t she see that I had a little over a gig on 12/10 and still have a little less than a gig on 12/21 therefore the gig I bought on 12/11 was never added!

What really makes me the angriest, though, is that I had proof and deleted it. I have had a ton of trouble with their app. When I try to check my balances to see when I need to buy, I keep getting stuff about how it’s taking too long to get it and I should try again later. So although I can’t say for sure when it was, within a week or two before my purchase, I texted for my balance to 611611. I saw I was getting low (low to me would be below 1 gig) and resolved to make a purchase soon. Unfortunately, after I made the purchase, I deleted the text.

There needs to be a different way of doing these purchases from the web. There should be an actual redemption step. Or it should show up immediately. Or a counter that takes inventory of where you are when you make a purchase so both sides can prove their point because, believe me, it is 100% possible to make a purchase and not have it show up on your account automatically. On other purchases, it has taken quite a bit for it to show up which is why it took me so long to contact them. I kept waiting for it to show up automatically... like it's supposed to.

I’m a senior on a fixed income which is why I use TracFone, so this $10 loss is a big deal to me. I prefer buying from the website because I also use Ebates and can get a little cash back but going forward, I guess my only alternative is going thru the hassle of buying a card from the store so I have proof you messed up. Or maybe switching carriers altogether.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I purchased two LG phones (one for me and one for my wife) from HSN last August. The deal was you received one phone, 1500 min. talk time, 1500 min. text, 1.5 GB data. We’re retired and very seldom use them. After three months they turned our phones off, they said our contracts were up. I called and that was resolved. After six months we can’t download text messages. As a grandparent that is important for pictures. I called again they told me I needed more data time for $10.00 per phone. The girl on the other line was so hard to understand I finally gave up. Hello Sprint, good riddance TracFone. DO NOT DO IT.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have been a loyal and very happy customer with Tracfone for roughly 8 years and I am still keeping my account. On 12/30/2018 called customer service to ask what I had to do to switch my 2 daughters phone numbers to Sprint to be on my wife's plan. I was given the account numbers and when I asked about switching their remaining data and minutes to my phone the customer service rep told me it would be no problem. Fast forward 12/31/2018 at the Sprint store, one of the account numbers was incorrect and the information about transferring the Data to my phone was also incorrect.

When I called to question this I was greeted with very pleasant representatives that could not provide any resolution other than to say that they were very sorry. I will ultimately keep my phone because it is the cheapest alternative for me. However I can't continue to give glowing endorsements about this company. It is a shame a company is willing to lose customer satisfaction over 3.86 GB, 6419 Texts and 10,415 minutes of talk time.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Every time you call it is a new hoop to jump through. Service, knowledge and help rate a zero. I would dump Tracfone but I have over 2,089 minutes, etc. built up over several years that I don’t want to lose on my iPhone 5s. Here is my experience: Bought a new iPhone 7 with service from Xfinity Mobile. I had the Tracfone iPhone 5 number ported over. Was told by Tracfone just call after port done and a new number would be assigned. Called TF for a new number and was told they could not do that with the current “5” phone’s sim card. They would instead send me a new card.

Got the card days later, installed and called TF for the promised new telephone number. They kept having problems with the process on their end. Then they said the sim card they sent me wouldn’t work and to go purchase a $10.00 sim card kit at Walmart. Did that and now they want a service minute card to activate. I told them I had done that 5 days ago with their wrong sim card. They claim they have no knowledge of that credit transaction. Told them I would dispute the credit charge in question if I get double billed for a service card.

Next the service card to activate would be a $15.00 card for only 30 days, not the 90 days with the basic $19.00 card. They would not reactivate the “5” phone and would end the call unless I purchased the 30 day card right now. I could go about all the time getting back my 2,089 minutes, 2,450 texts and 2.32 GB that required hours that they then said it was impossible because they deleted on the old sim that they deactivated. I told them I want those minutes as promised and I wasn’t putting up with “it's not possible.” Then they put me on hold again for half an hour, but came back would add just 2,000 minutes.

Next on their app it shows a telephone number I never had and none of the 2,000 minutes. Call again. They said it needs to be changed and another 25 minutes on the phone for them to get the correct phone number installed. What a bunch of crooks just to get a new number for the “5” phone. Tracfone is a bully company that lies as they jerk you around for hours. They are as truthful and dishonest as Trump. You have been warned! PS: I’m just now decided nuts to TF and the minutes accumulated. Just going to buy a different phone and include an additional line with Xfinity and be done with TF for good!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

If you only use a phone a few times a day this is the only way to go. Best way to save money at least half the cost of that of the standard cell phone companies. Best way to go is the $100 prepaid plan.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have been a TracFone customer for more than 10 years. When texts with photos would not go through to my email I called 3 times! Twice I was disconnected after 30 minutes while the service rep couldn't fix my problem. Their scripted conversation only adds to the frustration of them not being able to fix the problem. The call center back noise of the other employees. It's very distracting when you are trying to follow directions from a heavily accented service rep. They have lost me and my 3 accounts as of today.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have had my phone a week. After adding minutes and airtime I could not make or receive calls. I have made several calls to get it fixed and was placed on hold. I could hear talking and laughing while being told NUMEROUS time, "Please hold a minute." I finally asked for a replacement phone and they gave me a got a ticket number. Then they cancelled my ticket number and said phone was out of warranty. I have not made the first call with it. I have had it less than 2 weeks. Customer service is worse than HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

You'd think there would be an option to speak with a human after the phone system gets stuck in a loop, but no. You just have to keep entering the same numbers and being ignored like an idiot. Getting onto chat isn't any better. After they get your problem completely wrong, they basically tell you to bug off. I must have Stockholm Syndrome to be staying with them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

TracFone has very poor customer service and inability to fix or help with equipment and connection problems. When you talk to customer service about the problem, they literally laugh and tell you to get another phone and laugh: literally.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I purchased TracFone because I rarely need a cell phone. It was a few years ago and at the time had roll over minutes. Even on high the sound was low. It came with an earbud, but it was not comfortable and didn't help much outside.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I have had TracFone for 10 years and loaded phone with 120 minutes which doubles with my phone but did not double. Called "customer service" to resolve problem but got their talking points and would not double. Asked for manager and was told same, won't double and hung up on me. Called back and asked to be transferred to U.S. customer service and was refused and hung up on me. Goodbye TracFone and 1 star is too many!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have been using TracFone for several years now and have not had any issues with them. I originally purchased a phone from HSN and have updated my phone every year with a new one and minutes thru them.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have never had a problem with TracFone, very helpful. When I ran out of minutes I was able to buy more airtime and add it in right on my phone with no problems at all. But some of their customer support representative have an accent which makes them hard to understand, frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Been w/o my cell for a month, trying to transfer landline to my TracFone. 4th call & 55 mins waiting for supervisor because I can't understand rep's bad English. 45 mins waiting for supervisor who never answered. S/B 0 rating.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I bought a new phone, didn't work, customer service was a joke. Exchanged it for another, didn't work. After hours on the phone with customer service trying to work out an exchange of mins. Decided to forget them and went somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I called and asked if my phones were compatible. I was told they both were. I called Sprint and got them to unlock the phones. I purchased the necessary kit to transfer service and the problems are still continuing months later. Randomly, phone service doesn't work unless you restart the phone. Data has to constantly be turned off when you have wifi access and off when you don't, very annoying. Picture mail doesn't work (although it did work very briefly). I'm now told my working, activated phones are not compatible. Live chat kept threatening to disconnect if there was no response after 60 seconds although I was responding and doing what I was asked, like restarting the phone which obviously takes a few minutes.

When I requested a call, I was promised a callback. When I got the call, I spoke with the rep for a few minutes, explained the issue and was told to hold for 2 minutes. 30 minutes later, I hung up. I was never given a follow up call. I've been to Walmart at least 6 times over the past few months, there is only one person that that is helpful. The others have no idea what they are doing and they just tell you to call customer service. Walmart is also like a fort so there is no reception in there.

Overall, it's been a really bad experience. I have this service for my children because I don't want to commit to a plan for children and even in the situation, it's unbearable. I really don't believe the networks are an issue. They are working with the top 4 networks, it's the uneducated staff. They're borderline rude and aren't the least bit concerned with helping to resolve the customer issues.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

TracFone fits my needs. I buy 120 minutes (they triple that amount) for 29.00 every three months and I have lots of data and texting. Although I still have a landline, I take my cell with me and use it a lot outside my home.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Original bought my TracFone when my parents (both in their 80’s) so that they could get in touch with me. It was a basic cell phone. Every year I would buy the one year service card for $100. I didn’t use the phone much and the minutes (200 I think) lasted me an entire year.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After buying a TracFone from my local CVS in Columbia SC, I tried to activate it for TracFone to tell me there's no service coverage in my area. Question, why is the phone being sold in this area then? So now I'm out of my money for the service plan (because it's non refundable) and I'm returning the phone. I would give it a no star rating but I had to chose one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Got an email from TracFone of 30 bonus minutes if I renewed with a 60 minutes card. It said it was good for 30 days. Entered my PIN and the bonus number, it would not accept the number. Called TracFone and was told the number had expired. Asked about another bonus number I got on my phone one day earlier. They told me it was used 5 day ago. This also happened last year when they sent me bonus code - it was no good. TracFone bonus minutes are fraudulent!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I recently had to call TracFone customer service about unauthorized charges on my card and had a very awful experience. I was transferred four times and was told they can't help me and hung up on me. They double charged me without my authorization and then they claimed that I did it on my phone app. I couldn't renew it on my phone, that is the reason I had to call the customer service and they made the charges. I didn't realize until a few days later when I called my bank that I was charged twice, but they told me I did it on my phone app and since there was usage already on my phone, they couldn't refund me, how absurd!

I use my phone every day and I did not authorize anyone to charge my card twice. The last customer service who claimed to be a Senior Manager was very rude. I will not renew my service after my minutes run out, will find me another company. NEVER TRACFONE AGAIN, they need to learn some manners and learn how to provide better customer service.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I transferred my land number to my TracFone that I hardly used and had 4629 minutes plus 3.27 GB of data and SMS: 5455. And after transferring my number they only gave me 1280 minutes and 1.25 GB data and SMS:1280. I have spent hours over this week trying to remedy the problem... Have been promised the return of my minutes but they have not done so. I am so angry with TracFone company. They have stolen minutes and stolen my time and wellbeing. I am over the top angry with how they have handled this and so easily dismiss my concern. I want my minutes and data RETURNED!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

After paying for a year of service, I wanted to port my cell number to another phone and get a new number for my Tracfone. Customer service told me to port the number and then call back, which I did. They had deleted my service, my account and wiped out 3 years of minutes. After 4 reps and 3 hours no one at Tracfone could recover anything for me. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and they lied, essentially stealing my money. The last rep told me to call my credit card company to reverse the charges because there was no way he could refund me.

This is a third world cell service with third world coverage and non existent rip off customer service. RUN from this company. While I had it my friends frequently thought I had my phone turned off. The coverage is horrible. Really the worst thing is they robbed me of my service and then lied to my credit card company. This is a criminal organization, not a company.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs