TracFone
1.60/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

TracFone Reviews

2241 TracFone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Phone doesn't ring when I am called even when calling myself! Voice mails come 3 days late and many important work calls have been missed. Customer service from Pakistan. Only resolution they give is to reboot.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I bought a TracFone SIM card for my unlocked cellphone 2 years ago and a one year phone card. When I replenished this card for the second time for another year, my phone calls all of a sudden displayed a caller ID at whoever received the call. This caller ID was a totally strange name and included a location that had nothing to do with where I live. I spend hours upon hours on chat and phone with the TracFone company. Their answers were ridiculous; 3 times they advised me that I have to take that issue up with my landline provider.

Finally I had been transferred apparently to the highest department in their business and the person just simply told me, that that happens because.... blah, blah, blah and that there is nothing they can do about it. I'm now stuck with this wrong caller ID and the only way out is to buy a new phone number and minutes. But since this is an unlocked phone I will go to another provider. Bottom line: You get what you pay for and TracFone is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The phone I received did not work from the day I got it. Spent over an hour with several representatives trying to figure out the issue of not being able to send/receive calls and texts. The phone itself worked fine hooked up to my wi-fi but not anywhere else. They blamed the issue on the device and said I could either get a refund or swap the phone out. I only purchased this phone to use while my other phone was being repaired with Samsung, so swapping it out would be pointless with the time it would have taken with shipping. I requested a refund and was told I would only receive a refund for the device and not for the plan EVEN THOUGH I WAS NEVER ABLE TO USE THE PLAN BECAUSE THE PHONE DID NOT WORK! There is a reason people stay with companies like ATT and Verizon. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We've used Tracfone for many years. My daughter's Rebel LTE got a cracked screen so we took a chance on a refurbished Rebel 3, purchased on Tracfone's site. Problem 1: The rep told me that the 2 day FedEx does not deliver on Saturday & you have to sign for it. Knowing that nobody would be home Monday during the day to sign for it, I had them ship it to my work. However, then I got an email with the delivery date: Saturday!!! Well nobody would be at my office Saturday, so instead of being able to have the phone Saturday (If the rep had known what she was talking about) or even Monday, they attempted delivery on Sat and then said they wouldn't be back til Tues! And you can't change the deliver address once it's ordered. So we get the phone and it has issues almost immediately. Screen won't turn on until you try multiple times.

Then it shows a weird black and white stripe on the left side of the screen and nothing else. So I called Tracfone for a return label. Told them I wanted it emailed to me instead of mailed (who mails a return shipping label anymore?) They said no problem. 2 DAYS LATER I get an email stating my airbill will arrive via FedEx 2 days after that! Why FedEx instead of email? I call again. Supervisor gets involved and assures me they will reissue a return label and send it via email. This was yesterday.

Today I get ANOTHER email telling me when FedEx is going to deliver the airbill. I call again. The supervisor tells me both previous reps "tried" to request an emailed label but it didn't work. How does it "not work?" The computer just says nope? At this point, I'm just going to wait until the airbill arrives tomorrow. And then we have to wait for the phone to arrive to Tracfone. And then they have to see if they even HAVE a replacement Rebel 3 (the website currently shows unavailable... awesome). If not, we get some random substitute phone. Tracfone is great when everything works properly. When you have to get customer service involved, you might as well give up before you even call.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

So I'm talking with a polite woman from Guyana where TracFone's Customer Service Dept is apparently. Took a half hour to determine the phone was dead and needed to be replaced. I'm on hold now so she can do who-knows-what but she keeps coming back to tell me she needs another two minutes. She's returned to the phone to tell me she needs another additional two minutes at least five times now. Not sure what she needs to do. I haven't given her my address yet. When I asked her whether they would extend the expiration date on the minutes purchased she said 'no.' Does that sound fair to you? You'd think that would be an easy thing to do, right, especially since my mother won't be able to use it (for emergencies). Still on hold... but she keeps coming back to tell me she needs an additional two minutes. Wow, just horrible. This is a Third World company folks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Poor English speaking salesperson. Trying to add another phone (iPhone 5) took close to an hour having to spell out name and numbers over and over again. The rep was polite but they need "rosetta stone" class. It reminds me of the credit card ad... "my name is Peggy"!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Alright I bought a plan of 350 minutes with them, and 10 days before my expiration day, my phone was blocked. They said I already used my minutes. However, this is NOT True! It is their system, a broken system, which made the mistake. They actually realized it is the system's fault, but refused to give me those 234 minutes back. It feels like being wronged and cheated by them! Worst experience!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

When changing from old TracFone to new phone I had problem, it was my fault, I went to their help site chat and they promptly helped me with error, again my fault, they talked in manner a 68 year old could understand.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

WOW, I cannot believe this one. I have had an account with TracFone for over 10 years. Last year 234 days ago, the phone was shot and they sent me a new one. No problem there, but I travel out of the country every year and I have to have my phone unlocked so I can swap out sims while out of the US. No biggie right? Wrong. Even though I have bee a customer for 10 years and they issued me a replacement phone, I cannot get this phone unlocked because it (the new phone not my account) has been active for only 234 days of service. Their policy states you need 365 days before they will unlock the phone.

No problem I thought, the service person had a matter of fact attitude and I politely requested to speak with his supervisor. This person proceeded to tell me that the issue was already resolved and then hung up on me. Honestly, I was polite and did nothing to deserve this treatment. Yet another example of a company that has more money then they know what to do with and showed that attitude to me today. Wow wow wow, I still can't believe this. I have too many minutes to leave them but I might have to in any case now. I would have stayed if they gave me this minor request but for all of you thinking of going with TracFone, stop, turn around and RUN the other way. Please do NOT give this company your business.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

They billed me for me than what their summary showed. After talking to 4 levels of support, none of them were willing/able to change the amount, acknowledge that their system caused an issue, and did not want to see a copy of the billing summary that their system provided. I felt like they were treating me as a liar or a fool because I clearly have detail to defend my side and yet they kept telling me their system didn't have that information. Wasted 1 hour and got nowhere. Called my credit card and the transaction was canceled in less than 5 minutes on their side.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I was in the market to purchase a new phone, one that's capable of using wifi calling. I researched phones talked to at least 3 different customer service staff asking them specific questions related to an iPhone I was interested in. I asked each one, is this phone capable of wifi calling. I was told each time, "Purchase it, activate it, check your network, if it's not a T-Mobile network we can send you a T-Mobile Sim card. Insert it and you will be set to use wifi calling." Wrong! Purchased the phone, activated it this morning, spoke with Tracfone asking about my network, I was told this phone is not capable of wifi calling. They offered me nothing, only, "Sorry just can just return it."

I tried to post a review on Tracfone site related to my experience with this phone detailing that I asked numerous times and being very specific about what I needed in a phone. My review was denied probably because I said Tracfone customer service needs to know what a phone can and can't do instead of telling customers a blanket, "Yes of course you can change your network," when in fact I couldn't. I returned that phone earlier today. I will go with a different provider. I don't have any faith that I can ask questions and receive correct guidance.

I relayed to Tracfone today. I even took screenshots of my last conservation knowing I might miss a step. All I was offered from them, sorry. I don't make purchases like this without making sure the phone I want will be able to work as I need it too. And then Tracfone tells me, "Sorry here's a number you can call, nothing we can help you with." Called that number, told, "Sorry again, you can return the phone. That's all we can do for you."

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I live overseas, and when returning to the US previously used a TracFone for local calls. It is expensive, but fairly convenient. Last trip back (2017) they said the actual phone was no longer supported, and sent me a new one. We loaded it up with minutes, but despite spending an hour on the helpline with them it never got working. Now I don't have a lot of time to spend ** around with a stupid prepaid handphone, so I left the US without getting it working, despite the fact that the phone now had 240 minutes on it. This year (2018) I get back and they say I need a new sim card, which I get, and re-up another 60 minutes of credit, only to find that my previous 240 minutes were deleted. Subsequently I spent over 2 hours on the phone with heir "helpline" explaining that I could not use the previous credit (as the phone never got working) so it should be refunded, or rolled over.

Their line is that it is their "corporate policy" is to NEVER REFUND ANYTHING. Even after talking to everyone in their Philippines call center, then later in the Honduras call center (still using Filipinos) and then (allegedly) Miami, the answer is "Yes we can see that you bought credit in 2017 and were never able to use it, but our policy is that because it is more than 60 day, we erase all your credit". Now I don't know for certain, but I am convinced that they also try to drag out as long as possible and "helpline" interactions, so the customers just give up in the end. This is a similar approach insurance companies take: all claims are denied upon the first submission regardless of validity, as many clients simply give up. I was even told that the 10$ spent the previous day to get the new sim running could not be refunded.

A few strong words and 2 or 3 people later, and it magically got refunded. So essentially I believe that TracFone is a company that actively practices fraud in 2 main areas:
    1) Via a policy of consuming outstanding credit after a certain date, EVEN IN THE EVENT OF EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES.

2) Deliberately dragging out "helpline" interactions with customer complaints in order to get the customers to simply give up.

I thus recommend to any an all 2 things:
    1) Never use TracFone.

2) Help improve the equity of the situation by extracting as much value (financially) from TracFone as humanly possible. Using purely legal manners, of course.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy from TracFone. I upgrade my phone. I could not return my Samsung Galaxy. Call TracFone to see if I could get it unlock. They wouldn't, I ask to speak to a manager who came on and said, "You have already been told what we are not going to do. Have a good day."

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

If you have plenty of minutes and run out of days, too bad; you lose everything. Who cares how many minutes you had or how many people will not be able to reach you and not know what happened to you; no days, no phone number, no service. Most companies let you buy minutes or blocks of time; TracFone requires you to buy both minutes and days. If you have lots of minutes and run short of days and short of money... too bad... you lose all your minutes and your service and your phone number. The phone is not good either; just cheap unless you have a lot of money and if you do... take it to a better place.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I went on my Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro and chose "My Account Downloader." I needed minutes for a full year and they offered 3 options. One was $99 for 1,000 minutes, 1000 text messages and internet time. The other was for $150 for 3,000 minutes, 3,000 text messages and internet time. And the last package was for $199, but I cannot remember what the numbers were for that. The first time I chose that option for the $150 package, it said an hour later that there was an error. My internet went out and I thought maybe that had something to do with it. I went back in through my cell phone and chose the $150 option again. My minutes finally showed up, but not all of them, and I only received 2,000 text messages.

I called their support number and was told that 2 payments went through, so they canceled one for me. However, They told me they do not offer any package with 3,000 minutes or 3,000 text messages. They also told me to wait 24 hours for all the minutes and text messages to show up. I did and the next day, the numbers did not change. I called again. This time the lady treated me as a nutcase because I told her that I bought the $150 package for 3,000 minutes and 3,000 text messages.

She told me they never offered a plan like that. I went to bring it up on my phone, and the 365 day option plans were now gone. So I have no proof as they removed it. She was rude when she said, that she already explained why I was not going to receive my minutes and goodbye. I like TracFone, but their service people leave a lot to be desired. I should have just bought a new phone with the minutes already included. It would have saved me at least $80 and also be so much cheaper!!! I will do that next year.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

First of all, these people are in India or South America, so their accent is really thick and they speak really fast, making them extremely difficult to understand. When I ask them a million times to slow down, they always stretch their words out for the next few words (sounding sarcastic and condescending) and then go right back to talking fast again. In fact, they talk so fast that I have to keep saying, "waitwaitwaitstopstopstop" because when I just say "wait" one time, they don't even hear it because they don't take a breath. I have to constantly repeat things, and they are constantly answering questions that I am not asking, while not answering questions that I *am* asking.

They put me on hold for a long time, but what is most annoying is that every 2 minutes, they say, "Okay, ma'am, I am still working on your account", like a broken record. Just work on it and shut up! That might not seem like a big deal if you are on hold for 5 minutes, but when you are on hold for an hour it makes you want to scream. Just when I am getting calmed down with the music, or just starting to nod off, they come back and say, "Okay, ma'am..." making me think they have solved the issue, so I get my hopes up, but then they say, "...I am still working on your account." Then, it takes me another 2 minutes to calm down, at which time they come on again to tell me they are still working on my account. When they have figured out that they don't know what to do, they either hang up on me or transfer me indiscriminately to another person, or department altogether.

The other person has no idea why I have been transferred because the customer service rep didn't my account, and I have no idea why I have been transferred because I wasn't even told I was going to be transferred. So me and the new rep are sitting there like, "um, why am I talking to you?" Then, I have to go through the whole thing all over again. Give my number, verify this and that, explain my problem, get put on hold, get told they are still "working on my account", ask them to speak slower, and get hung up on. So, that's first of all.

Second of all, all I wanted to do was change my payment method. I was on 50min/mo with triple minutes for $11.48 per month and I had accumulated over 3,000 minutes. I paid automatically on a credit card each month. Well, I had to cancel my credit/bank card for other reasons, so I went online to change my payment method directly from my checking account. I tried to delete the CC method, and I got an error message. There was an option I clicked on to add my checking account information, account number, routing number etc. I entered all of that and got an error message. So, I called customer service. "Jacob" went in on his end and deleted the cc, which enabled me to process the checking account method.

I thought everything was fine, but after I hang up with Jacob, I get an email stating that I canceled my value plan (50min/mo, Triple Mins, $11.48, All 3000 mins accumulated). Mind you, I'd been on the phone for about an hour already, and online for 2 hours. I call them back, explain everything, and they keep telling me that I cannot use a checking account as a payment method and that this has been the rule since August 2018. They said that I have to have a credit/debit/check card to purchase a plan, and that they would restore me to my old plan and accumulated minutes when I call in or go online and enter a cc number.

So I have to go to the bank and get a new card, which I had not planned on doing because I wanted to avoid getting a card after another event happened that has nothing to do with Tracfone. All of this information is just the latest information I have. See, with Tracfone, information changes depending on with whom I am speaking. That is to say, one person says *this* is the reason/solution, and another person says *that* is the reason/solution. It took me 4 hours and at least 3 different times calling (after being hung up on) to get this last reason/solution, and being told that I can get put back on my original plan and have my minutes restored. Now, understand that I currently have service and those 3,000 minutes are still on my phone for me to use now, but at the end of this service date, unless I have re-newed, they will be lost. I have to renew before the end of service.

But here's the thing, separate from the payment method, they kept saying that I cannot be put on another (same) plan (to restore what Jacob cancelled) because there is a block...because their "system" shows that I am already on a plan. LOL OMG Y'all! I can't even, anymore. THIRD, and last, before all of this started like two days ago, I had decided to upgrade my little tiny LG phone to an iPhone 6s. They had them on sale for $299. It's supposed to arrive today, and I am supposed to be able to transfer everything over to it from my LG, but so help me God, if I have any problems with doing that, I think I am going to send the phone back, not renew my plan, and ask for a refund on the 3,000 minutes that Jacob will have deprived me of...which I paid for.

That being said, I've had the same Tracfone for about 15 years and never had a problem with the phone or the service. For $11.48/mo, 150 minutes, rolling over, it's a great deal. HOWEVER, the customer service is absolutely, 100%, all day, every day, terrible, horrible, make you want to pay $45 to Verizon directly JUST so that you can speak with an American with half a brain, bad. I figure one of the reasons Tracfone is so cheap is because they farm out their customer service for the cheapest they can get it, which means poor service.

So, if you can get through it, and maybe even lose a little money now and then when they screw you over, then Tracfone is a good deal. I'm shopping Verizon and iPhones today because I am thinking about not even opening my new Tracfone/iPhone, sending it back, and being done with them. But, my mom keeps telling me that I'd be saving a lot of money by staying with Tracfone, even if I end up losing my 3,000 accumulated minutes. She's right, but I'm so mad I can't think straight right now. Just know this, if you KNOW that you are going to have to call their customer service, be prepared. Pray and seek the Lord because it will test your salvation.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Kevyn of TracFone Technical Support Chat would not answer the questions that I asked him and was EXTREMELY rude. He treated me as if I should already know the answer to questions that he intentionally tiptoed around. Right from the start with each question he would avoid answering me and then he would say over and over again, before I could respond, quote "Is there anything else that I can assist you with" (trying to get rid of me), instead of waiting for a couple SECONDS for me to respond.

And then while I was typing trying to get him to answer my question instead of waiting for me he waited 20 seconds and then said, "I haven't heard from you in a while, ending chat". I couldn't believe it. He then continued to do it until I told him he was rude and needed to give me a few seconds to respond. It went on for a while like this until I just told him I was going to report him. There is more unbelievable rudeness from him that I just don't have time to get into now, but I have never been treated so rudely and disrespectfully in all my life and I am 54.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Calling customer service is like dealing with a Middle Eastern country, unable to understand them and they are clueless in assisting you. They refused to unlock my phone so I could switch providers which cost me $100 to buy a new phone but no regrets other than using them in the first place. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I wanted to transfer minutes from one TracFone to another TracFone. I was on the phone and on computer all morning. I answered all questions but the one phone had a wrong zip code. I don't know why but I gave serial numbers and VIN numbers. I told them how many minutes I had left and the zip codes for the same home. One in my husband's name and one in my name. I lost 497 minutes besides what I wasted talking to them. I am not happy about this matter.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have a TracFone LG800G mobile phone, that I have been using for about 2 years now, and this last few months it has begun to act strange... It randomly changes settings for no reason, and most recently turned off the ringer, so when I get a call it does nothing but vibrate. I wanted to set it back right, but the phone is more complicated than a Rubik's Cube to figure out, so I ended up having to settle on doing a master reset, which erased all of my contacts. This is a serious problem for me, and I tried contacting TracFone Support, stretching the word support to its limit, and was informed that they no longer could retrieve personal data from phones.

So basically, I lost all of my contacts, both personal and business, because I got sucked in by the Triple Minutes thing. I swear, God himself could not figure out these unbelievably complex phones, and how to reset them. This would not be so bad, if the phone did not just arbitrarily change settings for no reason, but I guess that is what you get from TracFone. Stay away from these phones, the triple minutes is not worth grief!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Dreadful experience with TracFone! We have a TracFone, and since their policy is that the service expires every year, but if you renew they add minutes to your minutes, we called to renew. Their customer representative by mistake, after we paid by credit card, instead of adding minutes, wiped out our old minutes (4,438). So we were put on hold and told to call back in 24 hours. We did and we were put on hold again and told again to call back in 24 hours and again for 3 times. Tonight after being put on hold forever they told us they cannot do anything about it! So wiped out our minutes instead of adding minutes, got paid for it, and did not resolve the issue.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I got an inexpensive smartphone for my daughter with a 30-minute-per-month plan, and it worked for a while but then it stopped giving access to voicemails. People could leave a voicemail, but there was no way to retrieve it or even change the settings (like you couldn't make a recording saying "Please don't leave any voicemails on this line"). I called CS repeatedly over a period of months, and they would just have me do the same process of resetting the phone over and over. I would spend an hour or more on the phone with them and they would just have me do it like 7 or 8 times, transfer me to someone else who would then have me do it again a few times, and it would never make a difference.

So I finally called them and said they needed to do something or I would report them to BBB. They sent a new SIM card, which did nothing. Then they made me reset it over and over. Clearly the thing would never work. I asked for a new phone... and they said "The warranty is expired - so no". And I said, "If you hadn't wasted months telling me to reset it and sending me this SIM, it would have still been under warranty." So I complained to BBB.

TracFone then decided they would replace the phone and said that when I got the new phone all the minutes I had accumulated on the old phone would automatically be put back on. Of course, they made it as difficult as possible to get the new phone - didn't give me the ticket number, said it got "delayed" because they didn't have the same model for replacement, then sent it to the wrong address even though the address on the account was up to date. When I got the new phone after almost 3 months, I tried to activate it according to instructions, but it wouldn't activate. Called CS and they said they needed to set me up with a new account and that my old phone number couldn't be restored. WHAT??

My account was fully active when I sent in the phone for exchange. I never cancelled my recurring payment plan, never removed the phone from the account, nothing. But they deleted all my information and now claimed they couldn't restore any minutes/data (I had over 24 hrs of minutes - over $100 worth). I would have had to restart a new plan with no minutes. YEAH, RIGHT!

So I made a new complaint with the BBB. Finally got another response from TracFone corporate saying they are going to be restoring the phone number and minutes. Ha! I'll believe that when I see it. Even if they do, it shouldn't have taken this kind of effort to get it done. There is no excuse. Most people would have given up but I don't like it when companies try to get away with this kind of blatant consumer fraud. Everything has been very intentional, especially the CS that purposefully sends you round and round in circles to tire you out rather than letting you use the warranty while it's still good.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My phone was fine until 5 days ago. When I swiped to open the screen, I was presented with a diagram that I was supposed to figure out. Well, I've tried about a zillion times with no luck. When I called for help, I was told I had to re-boot - there was no other way! What??? If I do that, I lose everything in the phone, most importantly my pictures! I've called pros, customer service, anyone I can think of to no avail. This is a very poor design to say the least. I don't want to re-boot!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Service for my small TracFone was no longer available so they sent me an Android. My plan is running out and I asked to have the phone unlocked so I could go with a plan for Seniors that I selected thru AARP. Customer service will NOT unlock the phone because I haven't had this "device" for 160 service days. I didn't ask to have this phone sent to me nor am I responsible because the old phone was no longer supported. I had my old TracFone for 5 1/2 years, the time for that they do not have to honor--because it is no longer "the device in question." They indicated this condition is within the FCC regulations and will not make any exceptions. I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was on hold 9 mins and the supervisor agreed that they would not unlock the phone.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I bought a TracFone many years ago. I got the "Triple Minutes and Triple Service for Life" with it. Every time I would refill airtime, everything would triple, including service time. Now they no longer offer the "for life" plans and have. When I bought a 1 year 1500 minute/texts plan it didn't triple. I called in and was told I bought the wrong card. That the one I bought was for smartphones only. Well I have a smartphone and it came with Triple for Life. So I said I wanted a refund and they told me no refunds. After 6 hours and 10 calls and many supervisors I got so upset. I threatened to call my Attorney General and they finally gave me a refund. I will never deal with them again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I only use the phone for texting and it does a great job... However, it is not the best phone to use to call as it does deplete the battery and it is not worth it to have any phone!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

After years of lousy service on 3G I "UPGRADED" TO A 4g smartphone WITH TRACFONE. SO FAR, AFTER FIVE DAYS AND ENDLESS FRUSTRATION AND ANGER, IT STILL DOES NOT WORK. [unregistered sim is the focus of the moment]. The online chat is either a robot or a geek that seems to be like a robot. It's hard to tell and I don't believe anything it types at me, as it has not resulted in CONNECTIVITY!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Went to use my TracFone, and the phone display stated that my sim card was unregistered. My phone indicated that I still had 1306 minutes and 120 days of service left. I called customer service and was told that the sim card was deactivated. They said I had no time or minutes left, however my phone status display indicated otherwise. They could not explain how their records stated I had no time or minutes, but the phone display said I had time and minutes. I was also not notified of any pending cancellation by them. They said that I would have to buy time and minutes to reactivate, but I would lose the 1306 minutes and 120 days. I read a review on this site that had the same problem.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I needed to purchase more minutes and was delighted to receive a promotional email offering 300 bonus points with the purchase of a 400 minute/1 year card for $99.99. Prior to that offer, I had planned to purchase a 450 minute card for $79.99. (I needed more minutes, not time. I have a surplus of time.) 700 minutes for $99.99 was a good deal. However, I did not receive 300 bonus minutes after plugging in the promo code. (I've never had a problem plugging in promo codes previously.) I called the 800 number AND chatted online with service representatives. Both times they insisted I had misunderstood the promotional offer. Nope-- that is not true and I have the email right here in front of me proving it. I don't understand how I can have documentary proof of the offer and no hope for accountability or redress, yet seeing all the bad reviews online, I do understand my situation is likely hopeless. Don't trust TracFone.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I own a TracFone, it say's "TracFone." The airtime card I bought say's "TracFone", my receipt say's "TracFone", however, I tried to activate it and couldn't. Customer service is telling me, I bought a Safelink card??? The store will not refund my money, Tracfone will not help me. Very dissatisfied with the thought that I am out $18.00 by a multi million dollar corp. SAD! Never again will I purchase a TracFone or allow anyone of my customers too. I will let them know they can get better service from another dealer.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs