TracFone Reviews

TracFone
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.15/5
Based on 1,079 ratings submitted in the last year

TracFone Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My husband and I currently have service with Verizon Wireless and I am just sick and tired of paying their fees for things we use very little. We have unlimited service with them for two lines are were conned into taking a couple of tablets from them with the assurance that we could drop the tablet lines in 6 months. About a year later we called to drop them and are now informed that we have to keep them for 2 years! These are about $50 tablets and of course we should have read the 10 page agreement before signing but as idiots do-we believed the salesman. So now we pay about $175 a month for just the two of us to use maybe 2 gb between us. We make and receive about 20 calls a month between us and the only texts we make are between the two of us and we are seniors so you can imagine that we don't go wild with selfies!

ANYWAY.... Due to this, I recently dug up my last phone which is a Galaxy Note 4 and decided to figure out if I could use it with TracFone and see if that system might work for us if we decide to abandon Verizon. I purchased a TracFone sim card at Walmart and easily replaced the one in my old Galaxy. Called the number on the card. The walk thru asked if I had service with them, No I said, it asked if I wanted to bring my own phone, Yes, I had to enter the IMEI number and I was asked if I wanted to purchase a smartphone package and I chose the least one because I am just testing things out. I think it is 30 days unlimited talk and text with 1 gb of data. It came to $22.48.

They then asked me to try to make a call to see if it worked. I did-it did work and that was that. It was working immediately and my cell number given immediately. I have emailed and texted just to make sure it works. I have also used the internet just to see if it work and it does. I will say that it seems slower but this could be my older phone or it could be because I only purchased a gig. The main thing is that it works fine. Most of our phone time is using wifi at home and I can still do that. In closing I will say that if I continue getting the service I am getting I will be dropping Verizon after 20 years as a customer and going to TracFone. If worse comes to worse and I dislike them later, there are other companies to try.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I ordered a TracFone because my iPhone with T-Mobile was not allowing me to make calls. And I truly love this phone. I almost always have service and the calls are crisp. Texting is good because they always go through. I am tempted to switch over from T-Mobile completely and just use my TracFone primarily. I would say the only problem is the internet is slow however I only have 1 GB a month so that is probably why it's so slow. Either way I like the TracFone service and they are a good alternative to the expensive big brands.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2019

After paying a lot of money to Verizon for a dozen or more years, I decided to try TracFone with my Motorola Play Z Droid, a CDMA phone which can only use Verizon's cell towers. My coverage with TracFone has been identical to my being with Verizon because my CDMA phone uses the same Verizon towers. After a few weeks using TracFone, I switched my wife's Motorola Moto G6 (also CDMA) from Verizon to TracFone with the same great outcome. Our total monthly cost is less than one-third of what it had been. BTW, neither of us is a heavy data user. We each use less than .5G per month.

While I strongly endorse TracFone's cell service using CDMA devices and necessarily Verizon towers, I have no basis for evaluating using GSM devices and their use of non-Verizon towers. I would give TracFone 5 stars, but their chat and phone support need some improvement. Some of their reps are very hard to understand and need to learn to express themselves more clearly.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have had Verizon for years. When I found myself in the market for new cell phone, I decided to look outside the box. Wow, I am so glad I did! I bought my own phone, found a bargain on Moto G5plus Gold that I love. I tried TracFone for a month (no contract), and was so happy with it that I bought the 1 year plan. A one time payment on my phone and then a one time payment on my service for the year. I'm done, no monthly payments, yay :). When you do the math and you realize this saves SO much money. And I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything - except the high monthly bill that I never understood. The customer service, both online and by phone, is great. The reception when talking on the phone is exceptional. Texting, etc... all works perfect.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I’ve had Tracfone for 20+ years and continue to love them. I don’t want all that other stuff, no smartphone and cameras, and such. Just a good old handy cell phone... and they deliver. I would like a QWERTY keypad, yet I’m not trading this phone for one that has camera, internet, games... Let me have my phone and text and I’m a happy camper. I especially like prepaying and not having to pay a monthly charge when my usage varies greatly from month to month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Original Motorola G6 crashed under factory warranty. The replacement phone was defect right out of the box (camera added a rainbow strip through every photo.)I had second thoughts about the model and was (ill) advised by one of the customer representatives to refuse the second replacement phone to get my refund. I did as advised. However, I never got my refund. Every time I call about this, my call gets dropped by the refund department. They have my number as it is part of the identification process. I am very happy with the international calling plan, but I would not recommend purchasing a phone from Tracfone.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

They are thieves. I bought an Alcatel from them, and ran into financial difficulties, so I couldn't afford service for a few months. When I could, I tried to reactivate the phone. Nope. You have to buy another. So, being a sucker I did, and had the same experience with this one. Trying to reactivate it, they tell me the last 4 digits of my sim card don't match. There it is on the red info card, I pulled it out and there it was on the Sim itself. Nope. You have to buy another phone. Well, here's a one fingered salute to you TracFone. I'll never bother with you or your service again. And I will make sure anyone who asks about your service gets the whole story. Thanks for nothing, you thieves.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I activated my partner's phone online. I bought it for him as a Christmas present. I purchased minutes and got a phone number all set up, but when I tried to make a call, which is the last step of the activation process, the phone asked me for a PIN number in order to unlock the screen! It's a brand new phone--we never locked it, nor did we set up a password for it.

Customer service was on the phone with my partner for over an hour, trying to unlock the phone, and was unsuccessful. So I asked for a refund for the phone and the minutes I paid for. I was told that since the phone was delivered on 12/02, and it was 1/13, I exceeded the 30 day refund policy, and nothing could be done. So I am stuck with a completely unusable phone and a minute-plan for an unusable phone. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in an effort to get a refund. It's not my fault that they are selling locked phones. It was probably refurbished and never cleared, and they falsely sold it as a new phone. The packaging was new, so no one would suspect.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Did not know at the time TracFone bought Page Plus I guess anyway I purchase (4) phones on separate times 2010. It was a flip phone still have Kyocera Huawei (2). Had to return the Huawei is less than two years old. It powers off all by itself!!! Filed a complaint regarding the Huawei I now have but first I called page plus for months then recently I am told it is TracFone. Get transferred to them. No idea what I am talking about. According to them I am not in the system.

Also all the order history from my page plus acct gone so when I filed the complaint Better Business in Florida they did nothing but all of a sudden I get a call from some person who works for TracFone. Had the nerve to say, "You probably purchase a defective phone" in which I was told it was new. I am done. Also contacted our attorney general. They need to be held accountable for their defective products and hiring people are rude, unprofessional, don't care, and lie about selling new phones online. I don't care who they are oh stop when you ask for a manager it is just another employee.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Always takes at least 3 hours on the phone to get a resolution from this company! When you ask for a manager and they can't figure it out they say "LET ME TALK TO MY MANAGER." EVERYBODY IS A MANAGER BUT NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING HERE! 2 days and 6 hours of being on hold just to be told, "Call back again to see if we will send you a replacement phone" for the phone that worked for less than a year! So done with this worthless company!

Not sure about TracFone?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Phones for you.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team