TracFone

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been trying to help a blind, disabled friend transfer her TracFone service to her smartphone since it is set up to help accommodate her. They have told me three times the number she had transferred is activated and I have replaced the Sim card. The service is still not working for her phone. ** is her Straight Talk #. She requested. It was supposed to be working within 2-4hours today. This is ridiculous. She needs her phone in case of an emergency.

Customer service does not exist with TracFone. I tried to call them and they drop the call every time I call. Can't seem to get my Tracfone to work properly. Have used Tracfone for many, many years with minor problems and could reach customer service. Guess they outgrew themselves and now only offer customer service from foreign countries. I will be using minutes I have with Tracfone and then going to a new service.

Wanted to upgrade to smartphone, and purchased the phone. When we transferred to the new phone, the coverage was diminished and unacceptable. They could not put me on a network with better coverage. Purchased another phone that the chat service rep guaranteed at least 3 times would be able to be put on AT&T server, which is what I need. When I got the phone, tried to activate it and was told it could not be put on AT&T. Will be required to pay return postage to return the phone, and have no guarantee that I will be refunded the cost of the phone. They suggested another phone to buy that will work on AT&T. At this point, why should I believe a thing they say? I have experienced nothing but lies from the customer service department no matter what route I take to contact them. Avoid this company at all cost.

No more 60 minute refill for $10... When I tried to add 60 minutes of airtime to my TracFone, I had to choose whether to also purchase a $10 international calling package or a refill pkg of some sort for $8.97. I came to buy $10 worth of airtime not be held hostage for an additional $10. At these rates, the major carriers have made TracFone's DIY BS obsolete, w/o the benefit of customer service.

Not sure where to begin. The problems with TracFone customer service and the systems they use run deep. I experience multiple and consistent issues every time I make any change to the phones on my account. Sometimes a phone will just disappear from my account, or may just quit working due altogether. Very, very poor in my opinion.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY. Many people have had terrible experiences with them, myself included! Everything was fine until one day my minutes and texts went away. Which was strange because I just purchased minutes, texts, and data a couple days prior, and I know goodness well I didn't use it all up. So I called and let me just say the customer service is HORRIBLE. I normally don't write reviews ever, but this was just ridiculous. They kept transferring me to different people and no one could figure out what's wrong with my phone. Not even tech support, nor the "supervisor".

I spoke with more than 5 different people who all had foreign accents and didn't know what they were talking about and were rude!!! Tech support kept telling me to turn my phone off and on for well over an hour!!!! Yes I was on the phone with them for over an hour and that's all they kept saying. (Of course I was on a different, working phone while I was talking to them.) And every time they put me on hold, I could hear them playing around and laughing loudly like little kids!!! Completely unprofessional! I'm disgusted with the way I've been treated. I'm convinced they stole my minutes and texts! Kinda funny that when I try to call them, there's now a 30 minute wait every single time I call no matter what time of the day it is or what weekday it is, and no one will answer!!! Whereas before I had issues with them, there was no long waiting to get ahold of someone. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. You've been warned.

I've had TracFone for the past many, many years when I gave up huge monthly expenses to Talk. I had a 49.00 phone and dropped it in the snow, I've been using a 5.00 phone that beats all smart phones with reception every where I go. Smart phones suck for reception. My 5.00 TracFone works everywhere I go no matter where I go. I currently have 182.67 minutes and 1169 service days left. My phone do nothing more than "Hello". Does not take pics, and I do not text. I will never own a smartphone. All I need is a phone I can make calls from wherever I am and this one does just that and at 5.00 works better than those 600.00 things. My co-workers have to use my phone when they have no bars and I have 5.

I will always use my TracFone. This is not an endorsement, this is just plain truth. Tracfone just works. My wife has one and we dropped our landline many years ago for another TracFone just for the house which we never answer. This is the only phone that actually has voicemail. Our personal phones do not. If we don't know who is calling, we do not answer. We google the #.

Purchased 90 airtime minutes (I usually text). Minutes gone within 24 hrs. Contacted customer support, wait for at least 16 mins., option for callback in 30 mins. Sometimes they call back, sometimes not. Finally got through to CS, put on hold for 63 mins. while the tech was "retrieving lost minutes to be put back on my phone." Disconnected, no return call. Eventually got through again, waited 16 mins. was told by a Supervisor they can do nothing. Have too many "dropped calls" to count. What if one of these calls was for 911? All CS minutes come off our total airtime. I think the techs are schooled to delay us getting through and not have enough knowledge to handle the issue. Then we all have to buy more airtime. I text a lot like most people, but there are times when a phone call with family or friend is simply nicer.

Anyone wonder why we can buy 1000 texts for only $5 and never have a tech issue? But 30 mins. of airtime cost $10? And the wait time is just always about 16 to 30 mins. when calling for support? And when is the last time any of us were able to get on their live chat? I tried for a week, and the site was never active. So then we have to call and use our minutes. Why should we have to use our purchased airtime when dealing with a tech issue which is entirely their problem? They have terrible support, iffy service areas, and they are shelling out $40,000,000 to satisfy complaints about unlimited data false advertising according to the FTC. That could be just the beginning of more settlements.

No network connection since April 13th in Danville, Illinois. Can get no callbacks from TracFone. Have chatted with at least six or seven techs and one supervisor. Have made numerous phone calls. Nothing is fixed!

I have refilled my account minutes twice since Feb 1 2017 with 1500 minutes each which is good for Feb 2019. I have called TracFone 3 times complaining my account minutes have been slowly dropping when I have not been making any calls. I told them my call duration history on my phone shows no outgoing calls. I told TracFone I have been with them for 14 years and never used up my minutes because I make very few calls since I do have a landline at home with unlimited calls. Only make cell phone calls when needed. I told them I check my minutes first thing in the morning. No calls made that day and my minutes will drop. My data and text accounts are ok.

I have got no answer from TracFone except whatever the minute account says then that is what it is and I must be making calls. They won't even look into it. Could be their equipment. They say no it is me and I am trying to get free minutes. After my minutes are up I will switch to another carrier and tell everyone to stay away fro TracFone because they do not care about their customers. They're crooks.

I have been a customer for years. My phone broke and I had to get another phone. They said I could not use the sim from my broken phone in my identical replacement phone. I then bought a new "sim kit" and activated it with Tracfone but I have never been able to connect with the network. I have been to four different Walmart's (TracFone agents) and none have been able to help me.

I then tried their online customer service to no avail. I then called, got a representative, after a 45 minute wait on hold and was told they would do something in their center and to restart the phone in 8 hours and it would work. NOT! I called back and after having them call me back in 40 minutes. The rep said, "Hold on..." and in 15 minutes I found I had been hung up on. I literally hate this company, their claim of providing customer service is a out and out lie. Do not use them or any of their affiliates. They own several companies, offering the same "service" under other names.

OK... So I decided to save some money and go with Tracfone in January of 2017. Guess I should have looked at some Reviews first... Back in January I bought a TracFone FLIP PHONE at Target. Remember the little flip phones so cute. Anyways, I bought the Minutes 200 etc. Plenty right??? WRONG. Within 2 weeks almost gone. So I called them up and they said, "OOOHHH you need a phone wi-fi so it won't run up your minutes." The rep on the phone even sent me a Refurbished one for FREE! COOL Right???

NOOO. Within 2 weeks the piece of junk wasn't working right so I called them up and said I'll pay for this phone $29.99 for a NEW one. Got it within 2 weeks. Problems with it, so I called got another phone and sent the one back for the refund. They said sent me the box. I sent back the phone. Still haven't gotten a refund. Called, they said takes 30 days to process it. Ok so March 23rd I'm on the phone and I get disconnected. Tried to call TracFone, couldn't. Said, "You don't have enough money on your phone. Please add some." I had 196 that morning and was ONLY using minutes under my wi-fi. So I called on my hubby's phone when he got home. YES. NO phone until he got home at night. Spoke to a supervisor and she said yes there was a system error and she put the 196 minutes back on my phone. GREAT RIGHT. Nooo...

Today April 14th, I'm on the phone again, hangs up on me. Tried to call my friend back - "Don't have enough money on your phone please buy some." So I waited till my husband got home and spoke to a lady (Stupidvisor) that did not know what she was doing. She said she sent my request to the people and will see in 24 hours. Would NOT put the minutes back on my phone. She said I must have used them. I told her no I only use my phone around my wi-fi. I told her about the system error and she said there wasn't one. That I would have to wait the 24hours. I said, "So I am suppose to go without a phone till then?" She said there was nothing else could do.

I said, "The other supervisor added them within a few minutes. You guys need to give me 30 minutes on my phone till you fix this." She wouldn't so I had to buy minutes. Bottom line, TracFone stole my minutes. And as soon as I get my refund, I am cancelling my service with them. I would rather NOT have a phone than to put with the crap I have put up with since January. BAD, BAD Company!

I have had TracFone for years. They sent me a promo code by email for bonus minutes with a 1 year card, and now won't honor it saying it's not compatible with my phone. They sent me a second code by postcard for even more bonus minutes, and won't honor that, either. Their customer service is terrible. They are dishonest.

I know this company has the ability to credit minutes, data, texts. They refused to transfer over my phone number and restore my plan. If I transferred my phone number, they would cancel my new package minutes. BS! I asked to talk to a manager and a woman representative refused to send me to a manager. I call back a minute later and I'm magically talking to a manager. Don't think that's coincidence. Shady company with shady practices. Avoid at all costs.

I purchased 2 iPhones from the TracFone website. One works fine, the other does not. As soon as I turned the phone on, it said, "no sim card." I could not activate the phone. After several calls to tech support, a new SIM card was ordered. 5 days later the card arrived, but the phone still would not work. Tech support told me to go to an Apple store to have it fixed. I told him I lived over 2 hours from the closest store and I wanted to exchange the phone for another one. He said that was not the policy and I needed to go to an Apple store. He refused to transfer me to a supervisor. Long story short, after 52 ugly minutes on the phone, I was finally told I could return the phone for a possible refund in 3-4 weeks. There may be a good explanation for why they couldn't just exchange the broken phone for another, but the representative did not offer one. He just didn't care. Overall, I would not recommend TracFone. I am very dissatisfied.

I have an iPhone with TracFone. Twice in the last three months Tracfone has deactivated my phone by stealing my minutes. I have talked with their customer service for hours and hours on both occasions. Customer service says the same thing - they tell me that I was the one that authorized the switch to a new phone. Of course, I haven't switched my minutes to another phone! It is an inside job. All of the minutes disappear and I am forced to get a new phone number. Who wants a new phone number every other month? I get shunted into the downward, evil spiral of customer service. The latest spiral lasted through 9 different customer service people before the department they call Loss Prevention hung up on me. I have a good paper trail, and I am filing a police report today because this is theft.

It's been a fine service to use for the price. The phones stay in service for a long time as you buy minutes. The only complaint I had was that I tried to convert the service from TracFone to AT&T and it didn't work. I have a feeling I needed to contact customer service but it's not the best customer service to use and I just didn't want to bother, so I kept the prepaid phone.

I was very satisfied with this brand although it's very bad with the communication with the company when you need services like replacements of equipment.

My daughter's account minutes was stolen by this company, and nobody want to solve this problem. We just add her minutes one month. Then all the minutes gone. Then tonight add again, then no call, no text, then minutes gone again. Somebody are stolen from this account. The only person is TRACFONE.

After buying 1 year and 400 minutes (triple minutes) refill card ($79.99) on eBay I was supposed to receive those within hours. After two days... nothing, so I went to the Tracfone Website and purchased minutes for 32.99 in order not to run out of days (had to deal with their Customer Service four years ago, two days and eight hrs on the phone before I got the problem fixed).

Approx five days later my account got deactivated. Apparently I debated those charges and received a refund (of course not and three hours on the phone). They told me to contact my bank. I did... they called TracFone and confirmed that I did not receive that refund (another two hrs on the phone). Repeatedly kept telling me in order to reactivate my phone I would have to pay $112.98. In the meantime I found out that probably I fell victim to fraud for the purchase on Ebay, but that was only for $79.99! What about the minutes I bought from their website for $32.99? That I do not understand and they just ignored that fact! Of course will switch to another provider.

This TracFone plan works fine for me. I have the phone mainly for emergency situations. I am not a frequent phone conversationalist so the prepaid plan as well as keeping the minutes I have left at renewal works for me.

TracFone needs to educate their support people. The customer service is poor. I lost over 3,000 minutes because the representative encouraged me to drop the monthly service plan because I had so many minutes. The representative did not tell me that if I dropped the monthly plan my minutes would eventually expire.

I had been with TracFone for 10 years because it's easy, that is until you have to deal with their customer service. I had 900 some minutes left and 3 years of service when my phone was cut off. No warning, nothing. When I called their customer service, the agent didn't know what he was doing. Par for the course with most customer service, especially cellular and cable. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor, which resulted in a lie, "I don't have a supervisor". Well, isn't that special. Even 4-star generals have supervisors.

I asked why my phone was turned off. Having a conversation isn't rocket science, but apparently to TracFone, it is. They transferred me to a different department, and I repeated what I needed to know. The lady launched into a yelling diatribe, in broken English no less. I couldn't understand 8 out of 10 words she was yelling. When she was done, I said "WHAT"??? To which, she hung up. This was about 35 minutes total to get to that point, so I wasn't calling back. I still have no idea why my phone is off. Apparently, me and TracFone have a different definition of what PREPAID means. So, I was lied to and hung up on in one call, with no resolution. My phone is done, and when the minutes run out on the other 5 phones in the family, they will be with my new service as well. That doesn't matter to them, let me be absolutely clear. They don't care if you are a customer, period.

I have been using TracFone for years... it has been great! But I do not use my cellphone often, it is usually in my purse, just in case. Lately though I have been using it so much more, a different job setting and lots of texting which is fine except that I have a flip phone and that is not easy lol!! So I am looking to upgrade to a (gasp) "real cell" and a plan, and they have some really good plans and phones... checking out all the phones everyone I am around uses so I can see the pros and cons to help me in my decision... it might be a TracFone or I might buy one and use it with a TracFone plan... but either way, I plan on staying with TracFone, I have been very happy.

I've been using TracFone since 2014, I've had several phones from them and so has my family without issues. I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 from them, it worked fine for around 30 days, before the wifi stopped working. I contacted customer service and they decided to replace the phone. You have to wait until you get an airbill pouch which you send in your old phone in before they send a replacement, this means you have to go usually two-three days (not including weekends) without a phone before a replacement comes. When my replacement phone came, it didn't have working wifi and it constantly restarted and was unusable, in worse condition than the phone I sent in to be replaced.

After talking to customer service again they said they'd replace the phone again, went two days without a phone until the airbill arrived, then around three/four days for the replacement to come. The replacement phone came and worked fine until I tried to get my service transferred back to it. (I transferred my service to an older phone so I had something to use in the meantime.) However, their customer support isn't trained properly and so you take a gamble with getting a support technician that knows what they are doing and one that doesn't. I've had several encounters with customer service for changing/transferring services and on several occasions they have messed my phone up to where all my purchased airtime wasn't there, the service time wasn't there and the service expired and now on my newest phone the SIM card was faulty that they sent. And now I'm going to go five days without a phone while they send a replacement.

I'm done with TracFone and giving them my business because they cannot sell quality products nor can they provide quality assistance when needed, they do not care about the customers and do not have the skills to assist in most problems that occur. After this SIM card replacement, if anything else goes wrong with my phone or service I am just going to go to a different service instead of TracFone. I am very dissatisfied with this untrustworthy company and it's a pretty expensive lesson to learn for a 300 dollar cellphone and the money I've wasted on service/airtime I can't even use due to technical failures on their end, not to mention no compensation is offered. Also, you cannot get a refund after 30 days of purchase so if something happens after that, you have to play the RMA/Exchange game until they send you a phone that does work and then you have to fight to get your service back.

If you are considering using TracFone, I'd advise against it. It may be cheaper but you get what you pay for and it's not worth it in my opinion due to the poor quality products/support offered. Also, if you exchange your phone, you don't get a new one, you get a refurbished phone. I am one very disgruntled and unhappy customer and will not give my business to TracFone in the future.

We use cellphones as a means of communication when traveling mostly and also for emergencies. We have never had a problem when traveling in U.S. or Canada.

When I last added time on the pc, it kept coming up with an expiration date of 2027, for a cost of $600! Yes they will correct it but with a lot of hassle getting someone I could understand.

I like TracFone the best because you get bonus minutes plus those you buy, so you get double. Not at first but the second time around. The minutes last as long or as short that you use them! I found that I don't use it too much, but I do text and make some phone calls, therefore it lasts me about 2-3 months! I usually buy the 450-minute one and get 450 bonus minutes. Sometimes it lasts me longer! It is better than monthly plans because you only load minutes when you need them! If you only text and make limited phone calls then this is the plan for you! I don't get the internet so that may be a problem for some of you.

My cell phone is a prepaid and I have no contract. It is a pay as you go. I have used this phone for 5 years and never had a problem with the phone or the service. Because it is a basic cell phone with no capabilities, I will have to let it go by the end of the year. My son will be turning 13 and I decided to start looking at different phones with a family plan. Also it will need to have all the extras.

I use my phone as more of a personal convenience when I'm out. For what I want and need from a cell phone, my prepaid TracFone has fulfilled for a yearly fee of approx. $100.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.
  • Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.
  • Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.
  • International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.
  • Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.
  • Best for TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones