TracFone

TracFone Reviews

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

TracFone Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My husband and I currently have service with Verizon Wireless and I am just sick and tired of paying their fees for things we use very little. We have unlimited service with them for two lines are were conned into taking a couple of tablets from them with the assurance that we could drop the tablet lines in 6 months. About a year later we called to drop them and are now informed that we have to keep them for 2 years! These are about $50 tablets and of course we should have read the 10 page agreement before signing but as idiots do-we believed the salesman. So now we pay about $175 a month for just the two of us to use maybe 2 gb between us. We make and receive about 20 calls a month between us and the only texts we make are between the two of us and we are seniors so you can imagine that we don't go wild with selfies!

ANYWAY.... Due to this, I recently dug up my last phone which is a Galaxy Note 4 and decided to figure out if I could use it with TracFone and see if that system might work for us if we decide to abandon Verizon. I purchased a TracFone sim card at Walmart and easily replaced the one in my old Galaxy. Called the number on the card. The walk thru asked if I had service with them, No I said, it asked if I wanted to bring my own phone, Yes, I had to enter the IMEI number and I was asked if I wanted to purchase a smartphone package and I chose the least one because I am just testing things out. I think it is 30 days unlimited talk and text with 1 gb of data. It came to $22.48.

They then asked me to try to make a call to see if it worked. I did-it did work and that was that. It was working immediately and my cell number given immediately. I have emailed and texted just to make sure it works. I have also used the internet just to see if it work and it does. I will say that it seems slower but this could be my older phone or it could be because I only purchased a gig. The main thing is that it works fine. Most of our phone time is using wifi at home and I can still do that. In closing I will say that if I continue getting the service I am getting I will be dropping Verizon after 20 years as a customer and going to TracFone. If worse comes to worse and I dislike them later, there are other companies to try.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I ordered a TracFone because my iPhone with T-Mobile was not allowing me to make calls. And I truly love this phone. I almost always have service and the calls are crisp. Texting is good because they always go through. I am tempted to switch over from T-Mobile completely and just use my TracFone primarily. I would say the only problem is the internet is slow however I only have 1 GB a month so that is probably why it's so slow. Either way I like the TracFone service and they are a good alternative to the expensive big brands.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: May 30, 2019

After paying a lot of money to Verizon for a dozen or more years, I decided to try TracFone with my Motorola Play Z Droid, a CDMA phone which can only use Verizon's cell towers. My coverage with TracFone has been identical to my being with Verizon because my CDMA phone uses the same Verizon towers. After a few weeks using TracFone, I switched my wife's Motorola Moto G6 (also CDMA) from Verizon to TracFone with the same great outcome. Our total monthly cost is less than one-third of what it had been. BTW, neither of us is a heavy data user. We each use less than .5G per month.

While I strongly endorse TracFone's cell service using CDMA devices and necessarily Verizon towers, I have no basis for evaluating using GSM devices and their use of non-Verizon towers. I would give TracFone 5 stars, but their chat and phone support need some improvement. Some of their reps are very hard to understand and need to learn to express themselves more clearly.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have had Verizon for years. When I found myself in the market for new cell phone, I decided to look outside the box. Wow, I am so glad I did! I bought my own phone, found a bargain on Moto G5plus Gold that I love. I tried TracFone for a month (no contract), and was so happy with it that I bought the 1 year plan. A one time payment on my phone and then a one time payment on my service for the year. I'm done, no monthly payments, yay :). When you do the math and you realize this saves SO much money. And I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything - except the high monthly bill that I never understood. The customer service, both online and by phone, is great. The reception when talking on the phone is exceptional. Texting, etc... all works perfect.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I’ve had Tracfone for 20+ years and continue to love them. I don’t want all that other stuff, no smartphone and cameras, and such. Just a good old handy cell phone... and they deliver. I would like a QWERTY keypad, yet I’m not trading this phone for one that has camera, internet, games... Let me have my phone and text and I’m a happy camper. I especially like prepaying and not having to pay a monthly charge when my usage varies greatly from month to month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Purchased a phone and plan. When activated could not get a signal at my location. Immediately called and then chatted with TracFone reps for over two hours over two days. Could not get a refund. Customer reps rude and uncaring. Seems just like stealing to me. Highly recommend use of a different company.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I bought a new LG with 1500 minutes. They were to roll over my unlimited plan. I called customer service twice to make sure my 1500 minutes would take effect when my unlimited plan ended. Both reps said my unlimited plan was in effect and yes my minutes will roll over. I could not call out yesterday and called customer service. I was fed up and asked for a supervisor who told me my unlimited plan did NOT roll over and I was using my 1500 minutes. In addition, I kept checking my balance and it continually said I was using my unlimited plan. All paid plans are advertised to roll over. This is a new phone so will continue to use if for a while as I look for another carrier. Dishonest company with clueless staff.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Got a phone and a service plan through their website, went a month with no issues. Bought a card to extend it another month, no issues. A week later I am abruptly unable to call/text anyone. I call customer service (which I am defaultly routed to due to being disconnected). I talk to the automated line and get told my issue has been resolved. It was not. I repeat this process four times, still not resolved. I call and get an actual person and am told that he can't do anything because I'm not in their system. I will not be purchasing a new phone plan from them anytime soon. On the only silver lining I am at least coming out the other side with a phone that effectively cost me $40.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

This is by far one of the WORST cell phone providers in the United States. I have used them for months and it is coming to an end. They have RIPPED ME OFF of minutes on my phone plan when I updated my phone plan online. I was supposed to get 584 minutes with the updated purchase, and instead it only gave me 530 minutes when I updated ripping me off of 54 minutes that just literally disappeared. They use 3rd world people on the other side of the world to answer the assistance line, and they are of no help at all. This company should be shut down by the FCC and investigated for the ripoff shams they are pulling on the public. STAY AWAY FROM THEM AND SAVE YOURSELF THE NIGHTMARE OF THEIR CONSTANT PROBLEMS.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

It seems like you need to run a marathon first before you get anywhere with these service people from Tracfone. Who is doing the hiring and who is doing the training? I am absolutely convinced they are picking these people off the streets of 3rd world countries and giving them a phone to answer. You wait and wait to speak with someone and then when you do their knowledge level is near zero!

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs