TracFone

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am done with TracFone. They have stolen money from me one too many times. I have been using them for years and were very happy with them until they have changed their ways and practices. A year ago I decided to switch some of our phones to an AT&T plan but keep TracFone. I was told that I could switch minutes to a different number and how I would be able to do it. Problem is, they were wrong and I was not able to do it. I ended up losing over a thousand minutes. Money in TracFone's pocket. Now they are telling me that when I purchase airtime for my card, because of the type of phone that I am using 1/3 of minutes goes to talk, 1/3 goes to data and 1/3 goes to text. So if you don't use all of the services you will lose all that money.

I currently have a phone that has 1000 minutes of voice, 800 minutes of data and 0 minutes of texting. Guess what we use more and guess who gets to keep all of the money? I have had a smartphone with them for over 4 years and it was never this way. You could use the minutes the way that you wanted to. I would never recommend this company again to anyone. They are crooks and I am done. If you are thinking about using them... stay away.

Nightmare basically. An afternoon on chat and phone calls for a phone that can't be used to make a phone call and they state that my phone number can't be ported for up to 2 days. Not true. I had changed carriers 2 months ago to Ting (incredible customer service, just inadequate coverage) and it took minutes. I don't believe their excuses. They obviously don't know what they're doing. Every chat and call required repeating data (oh... if we can't complete setup, the information isn't saved). They're incompetent to state it nicely. "We need to escalate to another department and their hours are: ???" No contact info the 'special department'. You have to contact the idiots who couldn't resolve the issue. Nowhere to turn...

They gave me a number used by a **. I received a lot of texts nasty. I now have to use my mins to call family and friends with new number. Mine time is worth money also. I am SSI disability. I can only afford so much. Not fair. The person I talked to was rude.

I had no problem with Tracfone at first. But, customer representatives were not helpful. I reset my phone after I followed the instructions from Tracfone representative, the phone never worked again. Screen freezes. After that happened, I broke my phone and never be able to use or somebody could use it. My phone is gone. I threw away. Two week after I checked my account balance. Even though I never use the phone, my balance was left in half of what I had before. I could not believe what happened or accepted. How could my talk time and minute reduced to more than half? I chatted with customer representative, and he told me I used it or someone used it. It's nonsense. That phone is not exist anymore.

What happened to my balance? They have deducted my time, texts and data. I can't not see or access how or when I used my phone. No information about activities. There is no way I can prove it,too. They are not clear about usage. Just show you the number of min, text, data, left. I totally ripped off. I will never used this Tracfone. I strongly not recommend to use Tracfone. You will not save any money. I started using Tracfone for 2weeks. It a hassle and not worth wasting your money and time. I already switched to different carrier. In addition, their plan looks good but Data is very expensive. They are tricked so you think talk and time is good price. Not too long later you will realized you made a big a big mistake. I joined Tracfone to save my utility bill. However Tracfone company is not trustable. Their account balance is not fairly calculated. No statement, no activities record for you. You can not get help from anybody and anywhere.

Crappy product, super horrible experience! The story is so long & the experience so completely ludicrous, I'll spare you the details. My sister who bought the TracFone for me actually laughed belly rockin' hard as she listened in on the service call tonight. I've been trying to get the proper SIM card for my LG since Jan. 16th. Ohhh the many hours that have been wasted with customer service reps who seem to not know their butts from a hole in the ground.

After 2 wrong size SIM deliveries, the last dingbat decided to disconnect my working phone number because he preprogrammed the new SIM being delivered by mail. That was Friday. All weekend I tried to have my # reinstated. Many hours more with various other dingbats... no luck. One supervisor told me I just had to wait for the new SIM card to arrive Monday. Guess what? It's Monday & no card arrived, so I am LIVID & without a phone! Worst product ever! One is better off getting an unlocked phone or going with the no contract offers by the other greedy companies. TracFone is CRAP!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

While I have never 'liked' Tracfone due to the abysmal service I have tolerated them because of the low cost of the phone time and infrequency of contact needed. In my latest encounter I bought a new phone to replace on old one that I had dropped and damaged. I called their 'customer service' (not really) number and made my way through all the prompts in my efforts to have my number transferred to the new phone. In the end I was given an estimated 30+ min wait time to talk to someone who could help. Over an hour later, no help.

Purchased 5000 mb on my android. When went to check whether they were added all my minutes and texts were gone. Did live chat with reps. Nothing solved. No phone service since Thurs night. Continual excessive call volume every time I logged into TracFone site. Called Fri night and was told to call back 2 hrs later because system down. Really? Chatted with live text this morning, Sat, and was told I have to wait another 72 hours for the system to update. What kind of crap is this? I know will have no phone service or texts since 6pm Thurs night, since I was on phone for over 2 hrs after that. One more thing, I was told they have no reps in the United States.

I'm 71 years old. I lost things and I forget stuff. I have been a TracFone customer for years. I really like the LG flip phone because I don't want a cell phone with a lot of bells and whistles, and you really can't beat the price. I basically use the cell for my personal safety - in case there's an emergency while I'm out of the house. But the service TracFone offers is abysmal and I think it's a bit shady. I have lost a couple of the flip phones, and have had to replace them. When that happens, no matter how many minutes I had on the lost phone, Tracfone keeps telling me that I can't have those minutes back- even though I have paid for them. In my book that's a form of stealing. I'm talking about hundreds and hundreds of minutes they won't let me have back. They have told me that the minutes they are taking back are "bonus" minutes and that I can't have them back for the new phone. I wonder how they can tell which minutes are which.

I recently lost my flip phone with 259 minutes left on it. I deactivated it, purchased the Alcatel Android and found it to be an EXTREMELY inferior product and terribly difficult to use to say nothing about how fast the battery discharged. I had charged the android for the recommended length of time, left it on the kitchen table and in 2.5 hours the phone was dead. I had not used it at all except for transferring my phone number and buying minutes. It just sat there pathetically dying on the table. In the meantime, I FOUND my lost (misplaced) flip phone a few days later. I wanted to reactivate it and transfer my number back. I also asked about how I can get my old minutes back, but first they told me that I had to buy new minutes. WHAT THE HECK?

In the last several days, I have been told by EVERY CS rep that those minutes will be sent to my phone within 15 minutes. Those minutes have NEVER been sent back to my phone, although when I bought NEW minutes, they showed up on my phone almost immediately. I keep getting messages on my flip phone telling me to call Tracfone to complete the transaction. So far today I have received 6 of those texts. I did call them back, talked with one CS rep, then she transferred me to someone in another department who told me that my phone was defective. REALLY? I can make calls, receive calls and texts, take and send photos and buy minutes but they can't send back my old, unused minutes. Something's rotten in Tracfone Land.

I even tried to contact their CEO, but he died. It would seem that if Tracfone wanted to keep me as a customer, they would do the honorable thing -- but do they know what that might be? Naaah. They're too busy giving customers the runaround, stealing minutes from customers and being rude and completely useless as far as help goes.

Worst service ever!!! Sat on the phone for two hrs trying to put minutes on a Tracfone. Then was told to call back after 24 hrs and I would have no problem adding the minutes. Well guess what?? Went through the same thing again and I finally am just out the money and done with tracfone. Boost mobile is the best!!

This company is horrible, 1st off yes their "home" office may be say they are located in Miami, FL, but when you call their C/S # (which there are a lot of #'s) you may get someone from the Philippines, or Guatemala City, etc. You never know. I have a defective device that was not caused by me and they are telling me that they will send me out a "mailing package". I then send my device back and then I will (may or may not) get a replacement device in 30 days. I can understand 5-7 days, but not 30 days. In this day and age we live with our phones (work). Then the "manager" tells me, "Well then go buy a new one." This is not how you conduct a business and "assist and satisfy" your customers as well as the company. The happier the customer, then they will tell others to use that vendor!!

I read any reviews on this company only one was good. I can relate to all the negatives. They are honest and well deserved. I personally would give it zero stars. While I give the same to this "President" elected? I am in agreement with one of the many negative reviewers who finds benefit in the fact this company will be subjected to tariffs because they operate outside the United States and will go out of business. We are subject to an unprecedented overload of lies in this country today beginning at the top.

My first phone of which I was very comfortable with just stopped. Everything, pictures, contacts, etc... lost. I bought an android and additional minutes. They transferred my 900 minutes to 90 minutes to my android. Any opportunity to cheat they will definitely do it. They assured me they no longer had time limits or I would not have renewed. They will lie at any opportunity to retain business. There is no recourse for the consumer. While they "claim" to have "something" in this country; they say "There is no phone number".

I am very involved with animal activism and my computer serves me superbly for these causes of which I am so very passionate. Otherwise I am out with my four rescue dogs enjoying this paradise called California for as long as she lasts with this administration. I only use the phone for pictures and emergencies and/or convenience. I may be using it more but not with TracFone. I am going to look into Consumer Cellular. TracFone is untrackable... Consumer Cellular is just that... For The Consumer.

First off, no one speaks English very well! Second, I was on the phone today for over 2 HOURS after being on hold, transferred several times just to be told they could not help me. I have a couple of phones through them for my kids because the monthly bill is cheap. Well, my son needed a new phone so I ordered it. FedEx came to deliver it today but I wasn't home, and they wouldn't leave because it requires a signature. I called FedEx and asked if they could hold so I could pick up because I would not be home for the next two delivery attempts. They informed me, I would need to call Tracfone and receive authorization from them because they are the ones requiring the signature. Well, that's where the drama began. Called Tracfone and as I stated at the beginning they ended up not helping at all.

The Supervisor said they can not call FedEx and it's their policy someone be home to receive the package. And I said, that's a stupid policy! After 3 attempts it goes back to FedEx anyway, so why can't I request to pick it up before then. And last year, my other son lost his phone and I wanted the minutes transferred to his new phone. They told me I needed to physically have the phone so I could get the serial number from it before the minutes are transferred. But how can I have the phone if it was lost! They said they didn't have the phone's information. However, when you get the phone, you have to set up all that information so I find it hard to believe, they did not have that information anywhere in their system. It was another time I called and same thing, so now it's been a total of 3 times I called and they have not been helpful at all! Well, 3 strikes and you're out! Sick of TracFone! As soon as I find another carrier for my kids phones, they are gone!

Three months ago my credit card was hacked. I got a new credit card (new number). For the last two months, I have attempted to get this changed on my account and to enroll in auto-pay. The person answering the (with poor English skills) doesn't seem to understand each time I have called. I have talked to their supervisor both times. I get the reply that they will change it and it never gets done. Though it's not much, it costs me an extra three dollars a month and fifteen minutes on the phone to reactivate my Tracfone. Very, very irritating.

WARNING: I bought a new TracFone LG Rebel LTE LGL44VL phone from Walmart and only had it 2 weeks. When I took it out of my shirt pocket to make a call the screen was spider webbed, it hasn't been dropped or any abuse to cause the issue, it was a flawed screen. Tracfone says I have to buy a new phone and they will transfer my info to the new phone. So they expect me to buy another phone to replace their crappy phone, they are bat ** crazy, I'll never buy another phone and use their service period. Take my advice, never buy anything from Tracfone!

I recently left my Verizon carrier with my Note 4. For a whole year I paid over $100 for 1 line. Very stupid. So I sign up at TracFone. I buy a BYOP sim kit. Talk and text is all this phone does. No internet access whatever. I called to see if anyone could explain why. They could not. Now the thing is the phone with the BYOP sim is unable to call the TF help number. Not suspicious enough yet? I call from my other $19 TF cell and they swear up and down that it should work. Finally someone leveled with me that Tracfone doesn't have enough towers to support any internet access. Basically, I wasted my money.

I have had Tracfone for over ten years now and if you are not a techy you can get a simple flip phone but they also have quite a selection of smart phones. No matter what your need Tracfone is the cheapest.

I have had this phone for about 6 months. [I also got one for my secretary and my wife]. I switched from T-Mobile. I now think that was a BIG mistake. I paid a little more at T-Mobile. With them I got answers and service. I could not figure out why I wasn't getting messages. Then a customer tells me he has left several messages. I can not get in to retrieve them. SO SEVERAL times I called your 800# and kept getting excuses [You need your serial #. You aren't doing things right].

My last call was the worst customer service I ever experienced. She kept telling me to wait a minute then said to try this then said wait again. This went on for 20-30 minutes. I told her, "If this is the best I'll get another carrier." She had the nerve to say that since we were on the line so long she has to get her supervisor. She kept saying wait not me. So I hung up. She had the nerve to call me back and say she has it straight but hold on for a minute.

Is this what I am to expect? Due to being in the hospital I haven't used my phone a lot. Now I find out your people can't even get my voicemail to work. Is it time for me to get a different carrier? I should also inform my customers about your service or lack of. If any of the people that work for me act like this I would fire them on the spot. We still believe in customer service.

I've had great experience with TracFone for years. I don't buy minutes through TracFone but instead through PinZoo. Support is excellent. Can't understand why so many bad reviews, but they don't seem to be about the LG phones. I had an LG for years and last year they contacted me and said my old phone was becoming obsolete and were replacing it free of charge. It came and I sent my old one in as instructed and my minutes and everything rolled over. The new phone - an LG 237C CDMA HANDSET - is much like my LG441gb and so far works just fine. Rolled over her double minutes and everything. Perhaps we're an exception, but I'm staying with TracFone as it seems the best deal around.

I kept getting a message saying "call restriction 34" when I tried to make a call. I contacted TracFone and they said that they had upgraded the service in my area and that my phone was now obsolete and that I had to purchase another phone. I questioned why I had to pay for a new phone when it was their decision to upgrade. The only reply I got was that I had to purchase a new phone. They said they were giving free phones to customers but they had stopped at the end of December 2016 (19 days previous to my call to them), I was never notified that my phone was going to be obsolete and was never offered a replacement. I told the customer service person to tell her manager that if I didn't receive a new phone free of charge that I was going to cancel my service. Still no satisfaction. I will never do business with TracFone again.

Customer service is horrible and phones are crappy. It's even hard to understand them because it's always someone from another country. What they tell you to do on your phone doesn't work. It's not worth the money.

The customer service is staffed with people from a different country, who do not speak English very well, making communicating difficult. Also, they are very inconsistent when it comes to their policy. Any question or problem you have will be handled differently, depending on which representative you get. This becomes quite bothersome when you have an ongoing issue. When you have to speak to a different representative each time and they all interpret their policy differently, it's next to impossible to get anything resolved. The service is acceptable. I get unlimited texts and don't get charged for the majority of people I call. My monthly rates are also very good. I ordered my 1st phone from them and for whatever reason, they could not get it from their warehouse to my house. They mailed it more than ten times before I actually received it. Which took over a year.

After many years as a Tracfone user and relatively satisfied, I now find the customer service is less than adequate. If you are content with talking to someone in India that may or may not be trained and may or may not be able to communicate in American Language (not queen's English), then by all means stay with Tracfone. I called their technical support to have a voice mail issue corrected. During my 30-45 minute phone call, all of my minutes were deleted. After some time, minutes were added back only for voice.

Later that day, I received texts that I could not receive or the phone # that the text was from. The texts were to inform me that my sister had died. I finally called Tracfone the following morning and they claimed that a technical error prevented text or sms minutes being added. When I called back this morning to question why I could not text, I asked their Indian representative that I wanted to speak to a supervisor in America. I was transferred and to my dismay, I had to speak to a gentleman who was not American (at least spoke in Queen's English). I am irate and disappointed. Guess it may be time to buy American!

I had a TracFone for five years and then the service became undependable. TracFone sent me a new phone (unsolicited) and said my old phone was outdated. The new phone was not the same at all as the old one that I liked. It was supposed to be a smart phone and I was to be able to get internet (Google). When I first set it up, it worked. Then the next day I could not get on Google (thru gmail) and all of my contacts I'd entered were gone. I called them and talked with three levels of supervisors, managers and they could not get me connected to Google. Manager offered to send me another phone when she discovered that it was probably a reconditioned phone since it had entries from 2014. I returned the first phone and they sent me another but I could not get a connection to the internet with that one either. One rep told me "to familiarize myself with the phone." But I'd read the only brief booklet they sent me and they couldn't make a connection either.

Also, I don't like the tiny keyboard that you have to punch just so to get it right. I bought mobile minutes for internet that of course I cannot use now. So I'm very disappointed in it. I will probably use it until I need new calling minutes then look for another one. The old Tracfone worked fine for me but apparently that is over now. Now you can't even find your minute balances unless you call the company, whereas, it used to be displayed on the home page. No longer a satisfied customer.

I have receive very poor customer service with this company. I purchased a new TracFone Android ZTE from Walmart. The phone I had before was a TracFone flip phone. It was AWESOME. I loved the price and it worked great. I only replaced it so that I could have a camera and to use the internet. That was the only reason. I turned on my new phone. No service. I called the company, 3 technicians and 4 plus hours later it was decided that the SIM card in the phone was the wrong one for the phone. This was a factory sealed phone. I was told it would take 3 days for the new one. Nope, over 2 weeks later I call.

I was informed the SIM card was on back order. I talked to 2 people and many hours later they decided I did need one. And for some reason this SIM card wasn't on 'back order'. It arrived after a week. I had no internet and could not text. I sucked it up. I could make and receive calls. My minutes ran our 3 mos later. I was on automatic renewal (they had my credit card number on file). I called to add minutes and to be put on auto-renewal (again). The lady informed me my phone didn't show internet compatibility. I told her it hasn't worked since I bought the phone in August, this is the end of November. She said “You need a new SIM card.”

So, yet again I am without a phone and the card arrives a week late. I was told to call customer service before I put the card in the phone. I call and the gentleman told me I needed to add my airtime card before he could do ANYTHING. I told him nicely that I had on 12-1-16. He said I didn't. So, I give him the credit card number (where's the auto-renewal I am wondering?). He tells me “I don't think this is going to fix your problem, this new SIM card.” Now, I have already put 9 hours into calling this company and 'waiting on the line' while I am switched to different people. So, the good news is after about 40 min. after he tells me it won't work, the phone is working correctly for the first time since I bought it.

The guy then says “I really didn't think it would work.” This was after 9:00 p.m. The next day I notice that my phone number is not the same. He never told me he gave me a new number. I never asked for a new number. At this point I was NOT going to call back and waste more time on the phone. Last night I receive my credit card statement. There were 2 airtime card charges 11 days apart for the same amount. I call customer support. They said I was wrong. I was transferred twice. There was NO apology. The last guy even read to me out loud that my account had been charged twice and said that I wouldn't get a refund, that their tech hadn't read the last persons notes and wanted to know if I wanted to buy more bonus minutes.

I abruptly said “No I am calling for a refund and have been charged twice in 11 days and I want my refund. I don't want more minutes!” I was then finally transferred to billing and he took about 5 minutes and refunded me. I never once received an apology. I have NEVER had anyone say “Gee you must be frustrated.” or “Boy this has been a mess.” Nothing. I am a professional with many patients. I believe in customer service in my field. I have taken pay cuts for my services in order to satisfy my patients. All I wanted was a working phone and a sorry. Is that too much to ask? Instead I received the run around, weeks without a phone, no compensation and charged twice, lost my phone number and I still don't have auto renewal for my minutes. I guess I'm just really PICKY.

MotoX 2nd Gen (2014) to TracFone. Decided to switch from long time provider to TracFone to save money. I read the numerous bad reviews, but concluded they were primarily concerning customer service. However, in that I am computer literate, and technically savvy, I anticipated I would not require customer service; rather, I'd be able to complete porting of my number to my own smart phone using TracFone's website. Not the case. Purchased and received their activation kit containing 3 sim cards - but not until subject to lots of inconvenience and cost. TracFone is unable to provide - even at my cost - overnight service. Lost a work day waiting at home to sign for delivery which did not occur. Received Email with FedEx tracking number. Checked with FedEx, and tracking did not exist in their system.

Next day, same thing. Turns out, replacement sim card was sent via USPS. Yet most of yet another day waiting tracking number was Received Email with FedEx tracking was unable to pay for overnight d. Activated my number, and inserted the nano sim card. Activation failed many times with the message "activation incomplete". Messages indicated that upon a power off and back on, activation would be attempted again. When I contacted customer service via chat, waited approximately 23 minutes before an agent entered the chat. Agent either did not understand what I explained, or chose to ignore, because I was asked what I already explained many times. Further, when I mentioned that I'd tried calling the number contained in my activation kit "if activation failed" I was scolded, and asked why I'd done so, and told that I could have damaged my phone by calling that number!

Overall, agent was obviously following a script, and offered nothing in the way of meaningful assistance. Worse yet, he indicated that I needed to remove the battery from my phone. I explained that I couldn't figure out how to do so, reiterated the make and model of my phone, and was told he'd wait for me. Turns out battery is glued into case, and is not intended to be removed at all. This resulted in minor damage to my otherwise perfect condition phone. I ended chat, and started another one. Another lengthy wait, another long convoluted chat, which ended by the agent indicating that the sim card sent to me was faulty. He either didn't know, or would not explain what was wrong. Solution was to send another sim card. This time I received a "combo sim card(s)" - standard and micro sized, even though I was specific about requiring a "nano" sized card.

At this point I contacted my prior provider with the intent of purchasing another month of service from them due to being without service for over a week, but found that due to my number having been ported to TracFone, I was no longer a customer, and was unable to do so. Solution was yet another replacement sim card, which I was told would arrive Wed or Thurs of following week. Didn't arrive. Another chat, and was told that it would be longer - I was misinformed, "processing another sim card can take up to five days".

It is now exactly five (5) days later, and yet another chat results in my being told my 3rd sim card may have a tracking number by tomorrow - a full week to put a sim card in an envelope, and place in the mail?! Attempting to save a few dollars has cost me over two weeks of service, considerable time, and anguish to family and friends wondering why my cell phone is "disconnected". I strongly recommend that anyone reading this review avoid porting a phone to TracFone. Most reviews indicate customer service is bad; In my experience, I can't think of any way it could possibly be worse. However, giving this last comment further consideration, I will add that in my experience, all agents were courteous.

We had used TracFone for several years the usual number of glitches and issues that one has with phone companies. This year they sent us a new smart phone, saying our older model was obsolete. We had purchased $100 of coverage until about 2018 and had almost 1000 minutes remaining on our account. The new phone worked fine for about 3 weeks, and suddenly it had a message saying no service. We contacted customer service, who identified a faulty SIM card and then sent us a new one. The new SIM did not work either.

After going through several layers of technicians and supervisors, it was determined that our phone number had been changed, and it was not linked to our phone. We did not ask for a number change, and they had the gall to insist that this new number had been our number attached to this phone. We tried to explain that we had had this same number for several years, and did not want to change to the new number they said was now attached to this phone They told us our old number was no longer available. We told them to cancel our service because we had wanted to keep our number and give us a refund of our money on our account. They refused, saying this was their policy no to return pre-payments.

To me, this is incompetence and theft of our money. Not only did they change our number without asking and failed to resolve our no service issue, they refused to refund the money we had paid for a service that no longer worked. So buyer beware... TracFone service is less than competent and they will steal your money. What other company refuses a refund for a mistake that they made and for a service they cannot provide... fly by night outfits. BEWARE.

I contacted Tracfone with a phone that had no service. The first person I spoke to said it was a problem with the service from the tower, till I pointed out my husband who has the same service did not have a problem. The second person hung up on me. The 3rd person I talked to said I needed a new sim card. It was mailed out Jan 2nd to the wrong address, it is correct on my account. After recontacting them on the 6th Jan when it didn't arrive it, I was told a new one would be here in 2 business days. With the weekend I confirmed it would be Tuesday. Talked again Monday night, again promised Tuesday. It's Wednesday, no sim card, and by tracking it, it is still in Florida. So today is day 9.

Updated on 1/12/2017: I was told my replacement Sim card had been shipped and would arrive Tuesday Jan 10th. Not here today, Jan 12th. Was told twice it had been delivered on the 11th to me and I should have it. On following up and being very insistent that it was not delivered yesterday, I find out it was never shipped.

I purchased a TracFone and a 60 minutes card for a relative for Christmas. The relative could not get cell service where they live and I tried to get a refund at Walmart and they refused due to the purchased date being over 30 days. I called TracFone directly to get a refund, they too refused me a refund on the phone and $19.99 card saying it has been over 15 days from purchase date. So now I am out over $40.00 and TracFone really doesn't care. Walmart customer service advised me that TracFone would give me a refund. But I guess they just wanted me out of the customer service line. Never again will I buy nor will I recommend a phone from Walmart or TracFone.

I've been a TracFone customer for about 17 years but my last experiences have been HORRID. I bought a Smart Phone and it took 3 days to get it working. It will not work on anything except local calls. I bought all their packages so there is no excuse for what I've gone thru. They have people outside the U.S. and no American Operators. What happened to them? All they have are morons that read from scripts. I'll be glad if our new president can arrange to charge a 35% tariffs on companies like these and put them out of business.

I have been using TracFone for the past 15 years and had zero problems with them. They are not like the other carriers out there. The best thing about TracFone is you only pay for the minutes you use and they care about their people not like the other carriers. It's for people that don't live on a phone but only use it to keep in contact with people.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.
  • Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.
  • Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.
  • International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.
  • Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.
  • Best for TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones