1.99/5
Based on 255 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

TracFone

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 14, 2018

2078 TracFone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Ordered a phone in December. Phone was received. Did not work. Needed a new SIM card which they sent to us. That SIM card did not work. They couldn't decide if the phone needed a SIM card or not. Told him we would ship the phone back if they would send us a new one. We should phone back he said. It'll be 8 months to get a new phone. We call them to say, "Don't bother." They said we could get no money back. Do not deal with TracFone!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

This company TOTALLY ripped me off, I have a plan that allows me to triple my minutes when I add them to the phone, it also X amount of text messages and also X about of GB access to the internet. I noticed my text messages were going down very quickly and wondered why, I'm not a teenager texting a massive amount of people, I normally text only one person a day and that may be an exchange sending 5 texts to them and receiving 5 back. When I looked at my quantity of text before and after ONE day I noticed something odd, the amount of texts went down considerably, more than 5 text or even 10 text, confused I looked to talk to someone at TracFone.

First of all, this company does NOT make it easy to talk to a human being, you call and have to go thru a bunch of number pressing to get a human being, once you do you feel like you're calling a foreign country where the English there isn't as spoken if you were born in the USA, the customer service is inferior, I believe this is done on purpose, as if you're calling on your phone, you are burning up minutes you paid for, trying to get help. First they told me I get charged 30 cents a minute for TEXTING, then I said, "What? Never heard of paying per minute for texts." Then she said she made a mistake. At a certain point all confused by talking to an employee that really didn't seem to have any clue why I was calling and what they were talking about. I asked to speak to a supervisor, she transferred me to an automated system that clearly wasn't a supervisor picking up the phone to assist one of their PAYING CUSTOMERS.

I then went to their website hoping I could chat online with customer service, it showed it was available, but when I clicked the icon to chat online, nothing happened. They say chatting online is available, but do not give you the ability to actually do so. Total scam there. I then thought, maybe I can send them an email for assistance. No emails. This company wants you to handwrite or type them a letter and mail it to their address in Florida. This is 2018 and they want me to type a letter and mail it to them instead of sending an email??? What would be the purpose of not offering the ability to email??? DELAYED CUSTOMER SERVICE, INCONVENIENCE SO YOU DROP YOUR COMPLAINT AND NOT COMPLAIN.

This company does everything it seems to take my money, especially extra minutes off my phone for phone calls I never made. Then I thought, maybe I can just go to a physical location, I'm in the Chicagoland area, that shouldn't be to hard right??? WRONG. There is no physical location in Chicagoland area. You can not talk to an employee that works for TracFone, they do not exist. So I am left with a phone that is taking my money more quickly than it should, customer service that doesn't speak and understand fluent english well enough to assist be efficiently so I'm not burning through minutes I am paying them to call them on their phone.

If I had this to do again, with the experience of disappearing minutes, disappearing text quantity of texts I never made, I would never have done business with TracFone. It is a scam, lack of proper efficient assistance and no ability to send emails, no ability to chat online, only way to really contact them is by placing a stamp on an envelope and sending them a letter... This is 2018!!! No real way to properly communicate with them without burning big time on minutes because the employees are horrible. Maybe this is the whole plan, which is why they do not offer online chat or accept emails. Avoid this company, once my minutes disappear I will be going to a company that is more reputable, unless they fix their ways and start offering the ability to talk to employees online and via email, where I am not paying them to communicate with them about my account.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have contacted TracFone twice to fix a situation with my son's TracFone regarding the updating of minutes and service days. My husband just told me our son's phone has 6 service days left. How the heck is that possible when we are on a family plan and all 3 of our phones are supposed to get added service days and minutes? Now I am going to have to contact TracFone yet again to get the information corrected on our son's TracFone. I asked them the last time if his phone needed to be updated to a new phone and I was told no because it was still a good phone for the TracFone services. So why is it still not updating the service days?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I am a man 78 years old who spends my winters in AZ. Purchased a prepaid phone from TracFone 8 years ago. This year my phone became unreliable so I upgraded to a Samsung android phone 5 weeks ago. Over 25 hours and 5 weeks of pure hell trying to get my phone programmed absolutely failed even by TracFone's own supervisory tech's that this phone is not programmable. Will not honor any warranty and refuse to refund my money.

Today I contacted Samsung and they will not do anything as they have a contract with TracFone to sell all their defective products and then the purchaser I hung with $100.00 + to make the phone operational. I can't understand how the USA Government allows importation of defective products and then allows the purchaser to pay for the repairs making the cost of the item more than the original price for a fully functional item. This phone was my lifeline to my family and to my medical facility as I am coming out of a 7 year battle with cancer and I soon have a 29 hour drive to get back home with no emergency protection or help. I have asked TracFone to transfer back my 1950 minutes and expiry date of 11/02/19 back to my old phone and they refuse.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My daughter wanted a phone so we ordered a cheap flip phone off of TracFone. Since we work and are at school during the days, delivery was impossible because TracFone requires a DIRECT SIGNATURE for every package, meaning I couldn't leave a note with my signature for delivery. (Our nearest FedEx office is an hour away and road conditions are not optimal for that drive right now in the snow so we can't pick it up either. And ONLY I can pick it up. No one else.) We had to return the package to sender because their ridiculous shipping requirements made it impossible for us to receive their delivery. For a $20 phone! So disappointed. Done trying to do business with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Tracfone is awful. The customer service reps are parrots who simply use scripts. They are based in the Philippines and most have poor English and/or thick accents. Each rep does their job differently and no one seems to know anything for certain, I have been trying to activate my phone for a week. First they sent the wrong sim card so I had to order a Verizon compatible one and was told it would work, it still doesn't. I am without phone service until it is fixed or I give up and go back to Verizon, which although expensive does actually work.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy a phone from them. I returned a phone on December 22 that they received on January 1, 2018. After numerous phone calls and just as many disconnects here it is February 9th and still have not received a refund. Now they tell me it will take another 7-10 days to process the refund and another 30 days before I receive my refund. This company is nothing but scam artists. They must be STOPPED!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Not sure why everyone here had such bad luck with T/F. Just switched my mother from AT&T GoPhone to the $15 TracFone plan so she can text and use WIFI in stores. TF is almost 1/2 the price. Sim card (.99 cents) came in 2 days and the phone switched over with no problem. Only drawback was we couldn't port her old AT&T number she had in Florida. Don't know why, it just didn't happen. Only one dead zone so far (inside a building) but it worked next to the window. Used the chat feature on their website for set up and the chat feature worked great. Completely satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I ordered a phone on Feb. 4th. I'm lucky I didn't get an expensive one. They told me it would go out the next day. In 24 hours I'd be able to track my order after I get the email with a ticket number. I got no email. I called the next day. I got hung up on once. I called back. I was told the phone was shipped. I'd get it the next day. Still no phone. I called back. They said it wasn't shipped. They would not tell me why. Just kept lying with excuses and I got hung up on 1 more time. They claimed they couldn't give me any information. I called again. This is the 6th by now. They claimed they were shipping it this eve and I'd get it tomorrow. I'm sure that's another lie. My gut told me not to fool with them. I wish I had listened. Now they got my money and I don't know what to do. I'm on disability. I gotta budget my money. I'm gonna try to take legal action including seeing if I have a lawsuit. I'm so frustrated.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

13 years using TracFone; service is good, adding minutes, data, and text easy; new phone set up easy. Transfer old cell phone to new one is not easy. Live chat link doesn't work; no email feature to send a question; Help 611611 multiple tries, and get same answer, it doesn't recognize keyword; on hold over 13 minutes, rep answers in a very low volume, mumbles so fast I don't understand all the words. In the past, customer service was excellent.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I have had a TracFone since the days of Nokia handsets. 2002. I purchased Triple Minutes for Life and when I added minutes last October, the triple minutes didn’t appear. I contacted TracFone to get my full minutes applied and was told I didn’t have a triple minute plan. Since then, I have been hung up on, put on endless hold and my e-mail complaints have gone unanswered. It is too bad that I will have to change my service because TracFone does not honor their service plans.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I have used TracFone since 2008, usually purchasing one-year service with approximately 650 minutes. My usage of the phone is minimal because it is used for emergencies only; therefore, most of my yearly minutes rolled over every year until I had accumulated over 4,000 minutes by 2016. In 2016, I purchased the 2-year service with over 600 minutes. On December 19, 2017, I went to place a call and all of my minutes had been deleted!

When I called TracFone, the representative was difficult to understand, very rude and insisted that there was no record of my payments except the 2-year service in 2016. She practically called me a liar when I insisted that I had been paying for one-year service every year since 2008. Finally, I decided to write a letter to the CEO of Tracfone in Miami, Florida explaining everything to him, sending copies of my credit card invoices for every year showing my payments to Tracfone and requesting an explanation as to why they had no record of my years of payments. Also, that I wanted my 4,000 minutes reinstated. This was on January 16, 2018 and I have yet to receive a response from the CEO or anyone else at TracFone. If I do not hear from this gentleman or his representative by March 1, 2018, I will refer this matter to the Federal government agency to which TracFone is responsible.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Received a phone that did not work. Charged battery according to instructions. Phone was returned 3 months ago. No refund has been made. No communication from TracFone as to why no refund. The customer service staff cannot speak English. They will hang up on customer when asked to repeat. Do not buy anything FROM TRACFONE. THEY WILL STEAL FROM YOU.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

So I get a new phone. I want to keep the number but they "can't" do that. No reason, they just can't. So I try to log in to my account and it won't recognize my password. So I ask for a reset link. They don't send it. 2 WEEKS LATER, I request it again. Now, THREE WEEKS LATER, they finally send it to me. Except it doesn't work! I'm done. Do not do business with these people.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased a new phone for my husband. He had been using TracFone service. I just wanted to switch service to the new phone. Kept saying invalid sim card. Called customer service. They sent a new sim card. That one didn't work, called again. Sent another sim card that didn't work. They ask me to send my phone. I said, "I didn't buy the phone from you". They said, "That's ok. We will replace it." I sent my phone. Big mistake. 1 month later they will not return my phone after numerous calls and discussions. I have been hung up on. Spoke to 4 supervisors. They say, "Your phone will arrive in 3-5 days" and I call to check and the order is canceled. Spoke to corporate for 1 hour. They could not correct the ticket to send me a new phone. After 1 hour of "I'm working on the ticket, I'm working on the ticket." They want to transfer my call to someone else. I hung up... As far as I'm concerned they stole my phone. Worst company ever.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I ordered a sim card and a 35.00 plan card on December 21. They will not work on my phone. I called them and they told me to send it back and they would refund me for the both which comes to $39.55. I sent this back on January 2. I was told that they would refund me 3 to 5 days after receiving. I have not received a refund as of January 15. I called them back now they say I have to wait 30 days for a refund. I paid them but now they do not want to send me a refund. I would not recommend this company which is TracFone to anyone. Service is lousy.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I went to buy a refill card for my elderly father because his service days were up. I bought the only TracFone card I could find at Wal-Mart. When I got home to put the card on his phone it was not adding any days or minutes. I called the customer service number and they said the refill card I had bought was only for a smartphone. I had no idea there were specific cards for specific phones and asked for an exception to please somehow activate this card on his flip phone. They refused and said to exchange it. You can not return or exchange these types of things at any store. The card is for a TracFone so it is beyond me why they couldn't add it to any type of phone. They would be making out on the deal as my dad never uses texts or data which were included in this card. I will tell everyone I know never to go with TracFone service. Their policies and customer service are terrible.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I received a Galaxy J3 Luna Pro as a Christmas gift. As I had many minutes on my old phone and very few problems, I wanted to stay with Tracfone. Last month, a message come up "safe mode is on". When I called Tracfone, the rep took a long time to remove this message. Now, this month (Jan.), the same message appeared. I called and the rep took over 1/2 hour and had me doing numerous things to remove it. Finally, the message was removed.

Today, I turned on my phone only to see the message again. I called and April, the rep, could not help me. I asked to speak to a manager. The manager had me on the phone over 1/2 hour and said the only solution was to remove everything off of my phone - the contacts, pictures, etc. I told her I was not given that information yesterday. I said that is not an option for me and I wanted to speak with her manager. She said she is a manager. I told her she must report to someone and I wanted to talk with them. As others have stated, she would not transfer me and said the phone would have to have everything removed. I told her I will go on the internet and see if others were having this problem. Her answer was to have a nice day. I told her I couldn't have a nice day when I had wasted my time and did not receive a credible answer from her.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased a TracFone Airtime Card from Walmart. Because the PIN was unreadable, the card was worthless to me. Because TracFone labels the card as non-refundable, Walmart would not refund the card even though I never left the store with it. TracFone will not refund the defective card because I do not have a TracFone number. I have lost the cost of the card with no refund help from Manufacturer OR Retailer. I would not buy this again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I purchased a new phone to replace my old TracFone and take advantage of the BYOF program. After I got new phone working I noticed that the minutes and data that I had on my old phone did not get transferred. I called TracFone customer rep and spoke to them about the problem and even after explaining what the simple problem was they refused to transfer my minute and data to my new phone and could not give me a good reason for not doing so. The rep just kept rambling on about phone was not compatible but yet the new phone was working and a few minutes had gotten transfer to new phone.

I really think he didn't know what he was doing and when I ask to speak to manager or someone who had more experience he refused too. If it was just a few minutes I would just let it go but they are refusing to give me approx. 1.5 GB data 1500 minutes and 1.5 text messaging. This is not exact number because I had not written down information before changing phone but it seems that TracFone would be able to retrieve this info if they didn't want to keep the time I have paid for. I also ask the rep how I was to pay for more minutes since TracFone was unable or willing to give me mine and he told me to buy a TracFone card or log onto web page to purchase more??? So they are keeping my minutes and want me to pay them more money to get them back! This is a very bad business practice and is outright stealing from their own customer. Shame on TracFone.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have their autorefil service and they keep double charging my credit card. 2 times now. If I dispute, they turn off service. Their customer service rudely says they cannot see problem and do not seem to believe me. Very frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Purchased two phones because of the feature of triple everything for life. I have had these phones for less than one year and they no longer are triple anything. I am told that was a promo that they have done away with. How can they do this? This has to be illegal! I have written to the Co but do not expect a response. Is there a lawsuit going on about this issue? If not there should be! I am certain I am not the only one who purchased these phones because of this promotion. They are LG Premier LTE android smartphones. I am beyond angry. This should not be allowed to happen. To advertise Triple Min & etc for life and within 6 months discontinue-how can that be? Anyone out there have any luck with contacting the Company? As I do not even expect a mail response from them as it has been weeks since I mailed them a letter outlining all this. If anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed would appreciate hearing from you!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I bought minutes and activation days from TracFone. They couldn't get them onto my phone and when I asked for a refund they gave me the business # which I've called many times and always get a fax squeal and quick disconnect. The other TracFone # gets a rep who cannot handle refunds so it feels very much like a scam.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

The only way a person can use TracFone is if they never have to call customer service. I tried to add minutes to my mother's cell phone as a Christmas gift. My credit card company erroneously marked it as fraud. I called customer service for both companies several times to explain that it wasn't fraud. I had called once or twice before TracFone decided to totally deactivate my mother's phone rather than deduct what I added. They made it impossible for either of us to reactivate since they added the minutes and service time and claimed they couldn't get their money or deduct the minutes. They gave me the option of purchasing the exact same card at a store or sending a money order. I don't trust them to reactivate.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I purchased 2 phones from TracFone. This was the prepaid service, no contract! I got tired of the rude customer service and constantly running out of data or minutes or texts. In August I disconnected the service on one phone, no problem. Ported my number with no problem. December I attempted to cancel the other phone. TracFone denied the request for porting 6 times, they then locked my phone. I called customer service and was told that I had to use the phone for 12 mths. I explained that this is a prepaid service and that it's month to month service and that I am not in a contract. I was told that I still had to keep their service for 12 mths. This is an attempt to keep me with their company. I refuse to use them ever again. I have had to file complaints with the FCC and the BBB, and if I have to I will file a small claims suit in civil court, because I had to buy another phone. Do not ever use TracFone service. It's a scam!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Had an iPhone for 3 years and we are trying to save money so we purchased an Android from HSN. Called TracFone to transfer the phone number and they gave me this line of garbage that it takes 2-3 days to transfer. After 3 days I called back because it was not working. They told me to wait another 48 hours. Finally after about a week to transfer the number, I cannot receive e-mails from anyone who has an iPhone.

I called TracFone 5 times and they told me that That's because it's an iPhone, I told them to stop playing games and that's nonsense because I have a personal Android and have no problem whatsoever. With that said I called for the 6th time and they would not tell me that there are issues. Tech support referred me to their supervisor, whom I explained again what the issue was and she hung up on me. I'm done. This is a rip off to customers and something should be done about it. I look online and there are many complaints. Live and learn people.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

After 7 years, I plan to consume my minutes and leave Tracfone. Since they didn't have the technical savvy to get my BYOP Samsung operational, I ordered a Tracfone phone on Dec.21st, shipping overnight with a delivery date on the FedEx site of Dec.22nd. On the 23rd and (today) the 24th, it is parked in SA with a delivery date of Dec.28th because TF put in a note for the phone to be delivered on a week day. Unless you like going 9 days without a phone, find another provider.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I received my TracFone as a gift on Dec.17, 2017. It is my first and I needed help activating it. I had a difficult time understanding the people in India. They kept telling me to do different things to the phone to make it operate. I could not understand them. Two of the agents hung up on me. This all occurred Monday. Tuesday the 19th, I tried again. After 3 tries, I got a woman who determined that my SIM card was not valid. I saw this on the screen but did not know what it meant. Since my gift was ordered from Amazon, I couldn't go to the TracFone dealer here in Houston as the SIM card had to come from the factory.

My new SIM card was ordered Tuesday. It is now Saturday and still no card. I am phoneless. The service people are horrible. They may as well have been speaking Russian. Since this is my first ever iPhone, I knew nothing about it and I could't get them to understand that. This should not be that hard. Why can't there be an American to help us newcomers. I'm so frustrated.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I'm new to TracFone and was trying to get help via Facebook messaging. The agent was trying to reset my password and said it would show up in my email in 3-5 minutes which I thought was a long time, but...okay. 30 minutes later...not there. :( After more than an hour there was no resolution to the problem. The one thing that also stands out to me is that when I use Facebook messaging (which I do on purpose as opposed to phone so that I can get a hard copy of the exchange), there's a huge lag time between asking them a question and their response...usually between 3-5 minutes. Haven't figured out what that's all about.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have been dealing with TracFone for a few years now. Well I decided to upgrade my phone to 6" ZTE lever 936L. That was back in August. After the first few days the phone begun to go crazy. It wouldn't power off, the charge port didn't work, the CPU started overheating and the battery being built in the phone could not be removed. So I called them explaining that the phone has many defects. Little did I know it was constantly eating up my data. They send me a FedEx envelope to send it back and then will replace it with another device.

That exact same thing happened, again and again. 3 different times. Finally I called ZTE USA to find out this phone had been recalled in 2015 because of these exact problems. We got Tracfone on a corporate call and ZTE explained to them this phone should not be sold. But destroyed. After they ate all of my data because the phone wouldn't power off or reset. They still haven't resolved the problem. I wish I could get out of Tracfone. But I have too many min, text, and exhausted data because the phone will not cut off. So I'm stuck and lost 36.1 GB of data.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

TracFone Company Information

www.tracfone.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use