TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.6/5 (547 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

Top TracFone Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using Tra...

Verified

What is TracFone Wireless?

TracFone is a nationwide prepaid cell phone service. It lets customers keep their existing phones and numbers. Customers in the market for a new phone can browse the large inventory of name-brand phones, including LG, Samsung, Motorola and Apple. TracFone phones can be purchased at a discounted rate, and shipping is free.

Some plans can be set to refill automatically, while others require manual refills online or at a TracFone location. Customers can add extra features to their plans, such as global calling or additional minutes, text and data.

Other features that can be added to a basic plan include lost and stolen phone coverage and mobile protection. These services act as insurance in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

TracFone offers a wide selection of name brand phones, many of which are great for kids and seniors.

TracFone Wireless plans

TracFone Wireless offers a variety of plans at different price points. Some of the most popular plans are:

Length of planMinutes/textDataMonthly price*
30 daysUnlimited3 GB$30
30 daysUnlimited2 GB$25
365 days1500/15001.5 GB$125
60 days750/10001.0 GB$35
30 days500/500500 MB$15

*At the time of publishing

Many plans are $5 to $10 cheaper than the listed price when you sign up for auto-refill. If you want to add global calling or more minutes and texts, you can purchase add-ons. TracFone Wireless also offers student discounts.

TracFone Wireless has plans for smartphones and basic phones and plans designed for people who talk and text more than they browse the internet or stream music. Basic phone plans range from $10 to $100 a month, and smartphone plans range from $15 to $125.

Customers can use their compatible phones with TracFone Wireless or purchase one through the company. Customers can purchase basic flip phones for $20, older Galaxy phones for $30 and iPhone 7s for $240 along with many other phone options at different price points.

How much does a one-year TracFone card cost?

The one-year smartphone plan costs $125 at the time of publishing. This is a one-time purchase that covers your wireless service for 365 days. The auto-refill price is $118 at the time of publishing. With this plan you receive:

• 1500 minutes
  • 1500 texts
  • 1.5 GB of data at 4G LTE Speed
  • No contracts

Customers can purchase refill cards at Walmart and Target, over the phone or at one of the 70,000 TracFone locations nationwide.

TracFone Wireless FAQ

What network is TracFone?
TracFone Wireless uses a mobile virtual network operator that includes Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation and U.S. Cellular.
Is there an unlimited plan for TracFone?
Yes. The StraightTalk service offers 30 MB of data and unlimited calls and texts for $45 per month.
Does TracFone Wireless charge for Wi-Fi?
No. As long as your phone is active and has Wi-Fi capabilities, there is no charge.
What is TracFone Wireless compatible with?
TracFone Wireless will work on GSM Unlocked phones, AT&T-compatible phones, T-Mobile-compatible phones, Verizon-compatible phones and some CDMA Technology-compatible phones.
What is TracFone’s coverage area?
TracFone has extensive coverage on the East Coast of the county and central states, with less coverage in the mountain states and on the West Coast.

Is TracFone legit?

Yes. TracFone Wireless is a trusted and reliable cell phone provider that lets people stay connected without signing long-term contracts. Its affordable monthly plans offer basic features and are ideal for those who do not use their phones all the time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I had just become one of the top sellers for the company I worked with and thought I could get by without having to have a cellphone. I was tired of making sure no one stole the cell antenna off the Mercedes... It was ridiculous and costly, monthly bills sometimes would run well over a $1000 bucks. And if you weren't on time with your payment, your service was off the very next day. If you're a salesman, or anyone in any profession and you value your reputation and business, the sound of a sterile robotic female voice stating "sorry, but this number is temporarily disconnected" can be a devastating one. It could kill a sale, or cause a major client to brake off that first appointment you finally scheduled. You may never get a second chance.

I was going to let that happen to me. I saw where Tracfone offered a prepaid plan that involved only a few hundred minutes, but the main thing was that the prepaid card also gave you 365 days of service. Back then I listened to a lot of talk radio while I was in the car. I mostly made my calls from the office, so even if I ran out of minutes, I would still have voice mail to pick up any calls from anyone trying to reach me, and I would know they had called because it still showed up on the phone. If I was out of minutes, I would just return the call as soon as I could, and the best part was that once you bought another card you would 90 days, not just thirty.

Right now, today, as I write this one of my Tracfones will remain in service, even if I run out of minutes, and make no calls, I would still have service through the rest of 2022, and I think until April of 2023. So if you're starting out in your professional life, you couldn't have a better partner in business. Every time I have had to call customer service they were ALWAYS able to handle my problems, and did so politely and expertly. My only problem with them is that they haven't asked me to do a television commercial for them yet. Good luck out there... join Tracfone.

Sincerely,

William **
President

ECommerce California, Inc.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

Started with Tracfone back in the day when everyone had limits on their accounts. Was afraid about running out of minutes on a weekend and the store would be closed. Saw a Tracfone card/chip in a 24-hour convenience store and thought it may be a solution. Put it in my phone and never looked back. I like the roll-over, I use the year plan. I also like when I get a new phone, I just move the chip from my old phone to the new phone and don't have to change my number or start over. I presently have the Tracfone sim chip in my Apple 13 Pro Max. I have not had any problems with dropped calls or loss of service. A rep from one of the bigger companies tried to sell me service and I told them what I have and the price they said they couldn't beat it.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

This is a reseller of AT&T service so it's very good service. BUT... When you switch or update your cell phone you start over. They say they carry over your minutes but it NEVER works out that way. Your data resets to ZERO. So you have to start over and if you have bought a yearly plan then you just have to buy it again. But it still is the cheapest yearly plan I have found.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

This phone is much less expensive than the big names, but it has all the features that I need/want. It takes nice pix and it is generally easy to operate. I use the speaker feature regularly to make the sound loud enough that I can hold the phone away from my ears. I use the flashlight when I move from the living room to the bedroom at the end of day. I like this LG phone and would recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I love TracFone Wireless. I pay $30 for 3 months of service. The TracFones I usually purchase costs less than $75 and lasts about 3 yrs. The voice and connectivity coverage is great locally and nationally and I don't call internationally so I don't know about that. I get enough talk/text to last more than 3 months. The internet and camera functions are pretty good and voice calls sound is great. This is "the David communication" in a land of Goliaths. Great deal.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Moved and needed new phone number, mobile data stopped working. Was told to buy new SIM. Bought SIM, they disconnected old phone number and never activated new SIM with new number. Now they cannot find any recorded of old number, chat is useless, had just paid for full month with old number, now no data carryover, 38gb lost and no phone service. Keep away from this company, their customer service is awful.

Original review: June 15, 2022

Trying to call Tracfone customer service is a real headache. I called and of course these days there are no live people answering, so I get all of these voice recordings trying to get to a person who could help me load minutes on my phone and it took around 15 minutes. I was on hold and then disconnected. So again I wasted 15 minutes for nothing. This isn't the first time I have had problems with the customer service. So angry this time I had to leave a review. Tracfone is a joke.

Original review: June 12, 2022

First, I had a phone for my son and he broken the phone. My dad came and I got him a another Tracfone while trying to keep the same number. That didn't work and I ended up getting a new number. Then I cancelled the old number. I started getting billed twice in a month for 2 months. I called about the issue and expected to be fixed. They said they can't do anything. I ended up going to my account and canceled the auto-paid but still get billed for one line.

Another month passed, online automatic transaction was done and still got an inactive line. And after talking with a customer for almost 20 mins, he was not able to see that my tracfone statement shows that they got a payment from me. Apparently, he talked to his supervisor and he also was not able to see that my online tracfone statement shows that I paid money. How is that possible? Your bank account shows money is taken by tracfone and also your online tracfone account statement shows that tracfone got paid from you and they still can't see that in the system. So far I lost $60. And as they can fix the issue, I will be better off with another service. Very sad.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I recently found a better phone deal with another company, so I decided to switch. I opted to port my number from TracFone to the new provider, or tried to anyway. Tracfone chose to ignore my online porting request, so I ended up calling them after a couple of days. I spent close to 7 hours on the phone (mostly on hold) and talked to a dozen or so customer service representatives who conveniently dropped the call every time I said I was switching providers and wanted to port my number to the new provider. I eventually filed a claim with the FCC and it took Tracfone another two weeks to respond to that. I ended up just having to get a new number because I didn't feel like dealing with their incompetent support anymore. If you need support of any kind, don't choose Tracfone.

Original review: April 23, 2022

I have been trying for a week to add days to my plan. Tracfone won't let me into my current plan to do that. On-line chat was no help. It will put you into an endless loop of windows. I have lost hundreds of minutes and texts because of this. I am dropping Tracfone.

TracFone Wireless Company Information