TracFone

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had TracFone for about 7 years. In February, my phone stopped working, and I bought a new one on the TracFone website. It was much larger than my old one, an LG, 4G, but I got accustomed to it. Then 2 weeks ago, the glass somehow got cracked, so I went on TracFone's website hoping to buy the same phone. It wasn't available, so I selected a Samsung 3G, which was like the one I had in February that stopped working.

It arrived via Fed-Ex a few days later, and I went online to TracFone to Activate it. I Deactivated the old phone at the same time. I waited about 3 hours, and tried to use it, and got a voice mail that I had to use a credit card to make a call. I then make the mistake of calling TracFone. All reps were busy, but someone would call me back within 10 minutes. 30 minutes went by and no call, so I called again and got a live person whose English was very hard to understand. I finally asked for a supervisor, and she replied that she was a supervisor, so I said then let me speak to your supervisor. She refused, and then I got rather irate. She responded by just setting her phone down, and let me listen to all the background noise in her office.

I hung up, called again, and got a different person, who still didn't speak English. We went through the same thing, and I hung up and called again, and got yet another of the same. Apparently, the only voice you will hear at TracFone that speaks clear, unaccented English is the man on the voice mail who instructs you to chose 1, 2, 3, or 4 for help.

I asked this person I finally reached why my phone said I had no minutes. I had checked my balance on the other phone right before I deactivated it and there were over 1200 minutes on it, because I rarely use my TracFone, only when I am away from home. The woman put me on hold (again) and came back about 10 minutes later and told me she could only put 310 minutes on my new phone. I asked what happened to the other 900 minutes. I hadn't had any problem transferring my minutes and data with the phone I bought in February. Her answer was that she wasn't sure, but it MIGHT be that I had downgraded from a 4G to a 3G phone, and -- that I didn't understand.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, she told me she was one, and I said then let me speak to YOUR supervisor. She said her supervisor was busy if I wanted to hold. I said yes, and then proceeded to wait at least 30 minutes while this woman came on every 3 minutes to tell me that the supervisor was still busy with other customers.

Finally, I couldn't take anymore, as I had been at this for almost FIVE HOURS, and told her to just put the 310 minutes on my phone so I could use!!! She did, saying she was so sorry for any inconvenience, Blah, Blah, Blah. To top it all off, the final icing on the cake? I went back on the website to look at available phones, and the LG 4G phone for $80 that I had wanted in the first place was back on the website as being available for my zip code!!! Ugh! This is the most miserable company ever.

I went on their Facebook page customer comments and there are many others who have had horrible customer service AND some have had 3,000 or 4,000 minutes stolen from them when they bought a new TracFone! They say they transfer all your minutes, text and data to your new phone but that is a flat out lie! They require you to put $20 on your phone every 90 days, and if you're like me, and have a landline phone at home and rarely use your TracFone, you will build up minutes.

Well I learned my lesson. I WILL use up all my minutes, instead of saving them for an emergency, so that when my phone stops working or gets a cracked glass, TracFone will not be profiting from my unused minutes. And for low cost, TracFone is fine, IF you are willing to put up with non-English customer reps and horrible service when you need assistance from them. Oh, and I didn't get a receipt from my online order this time. Again they were "sorry for the inconvenience".

I came onto this website due to multiple issues with TracFone "Help" line, "customer service". I started calling TracFone on a Wednesday to re-activate two TracFones. I was told that I would need new SIM cards and to expect them in two days. They did not arrive until the following Monday, which was fine. The TracFone nightmare began the moment I started re-activation. I called approximately 2:45 in the afternoon. My wait time to speak with anyone was 30 minutes or more, so I opted for a return call. I was called back approximately 40 minutes later. When I was called back I could barely understand what the person on the other end of the phone was saying. I asked where the call center was and I was told in the Philippines.

The conversation was filled with "maam", "thank you", and "just a minute, just a minute, just a minute", "my system is slow", "my system is not working", "just a minute, can I have the number again", "I missed the first part of that, can I have the number again", etc. I was having trouble understanding her and she was having trouble understanding me. After about an hour of being on the phone, repeating the SIM numbers multiple times, repeating the IMEI number several times, answering a multitude of questions like address, zip code, credit card number to purchase minutes, repeating myself and repeating myself, turning the TracFone phone off then on, then off then on, being told that I needed to give it a few minutes, then turn it off then on, being told that I needed to text the word "Balance" to 611611, no reply. OH! It needs to be all caps. BALANCE, no reply.

I was again told to give it a few minutes and it would be working. I explained that I had two (2) phones to set-up, one for each of my granddaughters. Her reply was "I can only do one, you will need to Call Back". I said I have to go through all this again to set-up the second phone. She politely said "Yes, thank you" and hung up. Approximately 4:00 the first phone was still not working. I called back and had another 30-minute wait. I spoke with a representative who was unable to get the second phone to work, after the same questioning, etc. as before. Approximately 6:00 p.m. I decide to use the online chat rather than go through what I did before. I initially got a notice that they were having "high volume" of chats, so I was surprised when I received a response about 60 seconds typing. I explained what had taken place, that I needed both phones set-up, and gave both IMEI numbers. He graciously started working on the phone.

After another hour one of the cellphones was set-up and working. He starts setting up the other cellphone and says it is ready to go, and that I needed to add minutes, but he couldn't do that so Yes, you guessed it. Call Back. Approximately 7:15 p.m. Yes, almost 5 hours after I started. I call back and it is now a 19-29 minute wait. After the same routine I'm told the phone is set-up, I purchase minutes and turn it off then on. Nope! Turn it off then on. Nope! Can't get it to work. After much trial and error I ask to speak with a supervisor. The agent didn't want to give up and continued to say "I can help you". I said "Obviously not, please let me speak to a supervisor." The supervisor answers. I repeat the entire story and at approximately 8:30 I am still on the phone with the supervisor. He is asking all the same questions. SIM card numbers, cellphone serial number, my information, etc.

Finally the supervisor tells me that both cellphones have been assigned to the same SIM cards, that the initial agent gave me inaccurate plan data information (Smart phone plan instead of a TracFone). He has now de-activated the one phone that was working, that he will need to send me two new SIM cards that should arrive in 3 days. I will need to get a refund on the money I have paid for the service plans, and he can't do that, so he will transfer me to that department.

At approximately 10:30 p.m., I had been on the phone trying to get a refund for both phone plans for well over an hour.

I was disconnected 3 times, spoke to one person who transferred me to another, and then spoke to two different people and finally have (I hope) a reversal on my credit card, but guess what. Still no phone service. I was told "When you get the SIM cards call us to set them up." This is ridiculous!!! One of the agents said "When the cards come we can set them up. So don't worry." I told him this is more about my time at this point, and I don't have another 8 hours to try to get two TracFones set-up.

I been paying my cellphone bills on time since I acquired My Family Mobile/T-Mobile for almost 5 years. Had no problems with my cellphone services. In late May 17-17 I began getting a text message telling me my bill due on May 23, I thought my bill not due until 26th of each month although I paid my bill 2/3 weeks before due sometime twice a month. I got tired of getting the text so I decided to pay my cell on May 23. I dial T-mobile 611 to pay my bills with my debit card as always with T-Mobile. I thought I dial the wrong number and hung up. I call back the usually the recorded message stated "Welcome to my Family Mobile/T-Mobile". I listen to the message as always if I want to pay my monthly bill using my credit or debit card. Ok paid.

In June 1, 17, all of my unlimited services went from excellent to poorly. In June 2017 when I begin to pay my cellphone bill I dial 611 as always. Not know exactly what was going on until I heard a different record naming so many phone companies say. I had password for all features and all of I no longer have password for all features on my android. My phone begin running slower, when I turned on my phone. I can no longer access my screen, I now get lots of advertising and paid apps asking me to download. I refused. On the 7/3/17 TracFone refused to let me access my features unless I purchased it paid apps. I had a medical professional I need to contact and couldn't. I had to go outside to use someone else computer. I spent the entire day trying to access my phone to make calls.

I recently found out My Family Mobile/T-Mobile had sold company to TracFone without notifying it customers. I see lots of diversity people's complaints about how bad cell phones services have gotten. I try to find out why my phone service went from excellent to poorly and why My Family Mobile/T-Mobile transfer it customers/me to TracFone company without notify me. I don't TracFone it serves. I spent most of 7/10/17 trying to resolve the issue. I got nowhere. A representative from TracFone call me on Saturday 7/8/17 asking me to return the call on a non toll free number 305-715-6500 leaving no extension and I couldn't not reach her. I call again, TracFone operator ask me if the representative leave her extension. It the only way she know which representative called me. I stated no because TracFone rep didn't want me call her back.

I call again trying to talk to a rep, the operator kept transfer me a different managers. All I go was loud music in my ear and left on a long distance non toll-free phone number 305-715-6500 each time I try to communicate with TracFone rep managers. I call the TracFone operator answering phones upset, stated she getting lots call/complaints and that she the only person answering the phone. Around 12:15 I received a call from from a male thuggish unprofessional staffs person who started, "This call may be recorded." I then stated to make rude, disrespectful, Rep. I hope this phone calls is recorded because I was TracFone to hear my complaints/issues. I then stated all the above issues. The male rep became rude, asked me for my phone number; I stated to TracFone male representative, "You call me, you have my phone number. I am not giving my phone number to you again."

TracFone male representative became very hostile telling me I should never chosen TracFone company for my cell phone company. I couldn't believe these words came out of TracFone rep mouth. Asked the TracFone male, thuggish what planted he is on! The male rep became even rude and hostile. TracFone rep begin telling me if I had cable. The cable company can change my cable to any cable companies it wants to. I stated to TracFone rude, disrespectful rep "This problem is not about a cable company, it about My Family Mobile/T-Mobile sold it company and didn't notify it customers and this why I don't have cable." I pull the plug years ago because cable companies is a rip off like TracFone.

I also stated to TracFone disrespectful male, thuggish rep, "You don't know customers begin pulling and cutting the plug on their cable companies. They are bad just like your company TracFone!" TracFone male rep became very loud, rude and disrespectful. I stated to the rep he doesn't know how to talk to customers and he shouldn't be allowed to assist customers. I stated to the disrespectful, rude, thuggish TracFone rep I am hanging the phone up on him and I did. Thanks for your time and consideration.

I purchased a new phone from TracFone, and after 3 weeks I could not make a call. When I called the other party could not hear me. I called TracFone and they told me that after 3 weeks, I was not eligible for a replacement phone. So I asked them point blank ,"So you are telling me TracFone does not stand behind what they sell", "No ma'am, you can go out and purchase another phone." Absolutely the worst customer service ever. I would never do business with them again or recommend them to anyone. Buyer beware!

I began trying to activate my "smart" phone at 7 am this morning. It was after 4 pm when I finally had it activated. The LIES -- outright LIES I was told on the QVC presentation about this phone are so numerous, I don't even know where to start. When I got my old TracFone -- which I've had for YEARS -- it was so easy. You activate by punching in your serial number, your SIM number and -- voila -- you're activated. Took SECONDS. I chose a plan that was $12.91 per month. They have never cheated me. Just get their auto-pay each month. I have never even called them. So I thought this would be the same. Same company. and a "SMART" phone. Phooey.

I went online like before. This time -- per everything they said on the Q and everything my written material says -- I followed instructions and began by putting in my SIM and Serial number. Then, they pulled the rug out from under me by instructing me to turn the new phone off and then on again and then make any phone call.

As instructed, I turned the phone off, then on. Then before I could do ANYTHING, it refused to let me onto the call screen till I set up an account with Samsung -- this took over an hour. Then I had to pull up my Google account before I could do anything else and authorize them to do everything imaginable and give them access to tons of private information. So I got that part done -- about an hour and a half. I tried to make the call. It refused to accept it and said I don't have a phone.

I went back to the screen on my computer to see what to do next, how to get help, and discovered tracfone had activated the phone and assigned a number -- AND took away the 1500 minutes, texts and 1.5 GB of data I had paid for. AND they did not transfer my old number -- I still have the $12.91 a month old phone -- and they did not transfer my accumulated minutes to the new phone.

I began calling their so-called Customer Service. It was now closing in on 1 pm. Called seven times and there was NO WAY to get a human being. Called QVC. They didn't know either. Said I could return it. But by now, I've put in a day's work. I wanted answers. They gave me a different Tracfone service number. I called that one. SAME robot voice. I finally started screaming into the receiver for about ten minutes. I called them every foul name I could think of.

By some act of high magick, the robot man finally said: "I can't understand that response. Hold while I get an agent." An actual human voice however, this human being had no clue how to speak or understand the English language. So this person said not only said I'm stuck with what I have -- but if she gives me the left over minutes on my old phone and cancels it, I will lose the 1500 minutes, 1500 texts and the 1.5 GB of data I've already paid for. Then she tells me to check my screen and look at my account. Oh joy. NO MINUTES AND NO PHONES LISTED.

Another happy trip through the lower regions of Hades -- this time ending around 4:15 when I gave up and just accepted my fate. I then went back to my smart phone after supper, and began setting up contacts, etc. It says plainly in the manual and online and on the phone itself that as long as I'm on WI-FI there is no data charged against my account. It's only when I'm out of range of my wi-fi. Well, that's a lie, too. I checked my Wi-Fi. The little symbol assured me I am ON wi-fi. Put in my password and everything. But the jerks debited my account so that instead of 1.5 gigs, I have 1.46 gigs. So it ate that much doing NOTHING that wasn't on my Wi-Fi. It also debited 7 texts from my account when I had texted NO ONE. Didnt even know how. This is my first smart phone. AND in addition to this piece of garbage Samsung, I still have the old phone, the old phone account with the monthly payment and no way to cancel it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Okay, I thought I would order a phone since I had the money to finally upgrade my phone to a nicer 16gb with Marshmallow and Samsung phone from their website, since they never offered the phone to Walmart or Best Buy to buy it. My mistake. Because after all this trouble, which I am going to explain, is why I will never purchase another phone off their website ever again. Live and learn from it. Okay, now for the problem and still waiting on it. I ordered the phone 3 weeks ago, and it was free overnight shipping. Cool I thought, until I got it and opened up the package and turned it on to setup the smartphone and all of a sudden the display had vertical lines and flickered. I was like WTH is this? So I called up TracFone, and they told me to charge it for the first time for 8 hours and it would fix this.

What the hell? So I did that and it was exactly the same. I decided to call again and then they did an RMA. I had to wait 4 days to receive a box prepaid label to send the phone back for a replacement. Guess, what? They were out of stock of the phone. WTF? So I said okay then, I will wait. I called after a week and was told they never receive them yet. I told them that it was an emergency phone and if I have an emergency without the phone, then what is the point of having an emergency phone, without the phone? All they would say is they understand and it is pending. This is two weeks after ordering the first place. Okay, and after calling about 3 to 5 more times, they told me they would escalate it and it would be 3 to 5 days to hear anything.

I never heard a thing and they also said not including weekends and holidays. I did not include weekends and July 4th holiday. It was the 5th day yesterday when I called and they told me that the warehouse had them and I would be getting a tracking number in 24 hours via email. I waited and waited, and looked at email, to no response or email from them with a tracking number. I said screw it and tired of talking to broken lies from them, called again today to find out the person that told me I would be getting a tracking number lied. They have the phone still on back order. They told me they escalated the ticket. 3 to 5 days. How the hell is escalated still on back order? They have no clue what escalated is. So after 2 transfers today, I finally thought I got a smart employee at TracFone.

I was wrong. She told me that it was on back order, but she also said I would receive phone by next Tuesday. Okay, here is this one problem. She said if I get the tracking number tomorrow, it would be delivered on Tuesday. Tomorrow is Friday. They do two day shipping. I had the first box to send my phone back sent on Thursday and did not get it till Tuesday after, but they say they ship on Friday I would get it Tuesday. That is a day difference from the other time. How does two day shipping go one day faster now? Calling BS here. So as of today, it has been three weeks now waiting for a replacement, and each time I call, the staff over their keep giving me broken lies, and saying different things to me each time or transferring me because they do not want to deal with me at all. I wonder if I am really going to get a replacement at all.

People say in their reviews that their plans suck but it is the only thing I could without work and not using the phone a lot that is the right prices for a plan. TracFone only does well for me at this time. As for customer service or technical support, that is the worst on the planet. They are not worth spit picked up off the ground and put in the trash to clean up. I totally regret ever thinking to purchase that phone off their website at all. Another thing is I saw the Samsung Galaxy Sky restocked twice while waiting for my phone Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro being on back order, and of yesterday is shown on their website for sale but no tracking number or indication that they will ever send the phone to me. They told me on the phone that even if it shows on their website does not mean they have it available. So that means people are buying phones and not receiving them because they are selling unstocked phones to people.

What kind of crappy company is this? They are all liars. They have no clue what the hell they are doing at all. Do not trust anything if you call them. I am going to try to patiently wait for the replacement but I think they want me to forget it and lose my money and have no phone. They are thieves. Not sure if I will ever get the phone. I am going to try to hold out but I do not think I will get it under a month’s time because it is getting close now. They are bastards that do not care at all for customers. They have no clue what it means that customers come first. Sure there are companies besides TracFone like this but TracFone in my book is one of the worst or the worst to me. No more buying off their website, and buying from Walmart or Best Buy only from now on. Screw TracFone since they are trying to screw me over.

Customer service is unwilling and/or unable to solve even the simplest problem online or on the phone. They have created the "human shield," a (reportedly) human who will tell you (1) they cannot solve your issue, (2) they are unwilling to transfer your call to anyone, and 3) the "do not have" ANY number for customer service complaints. You are told to send a snail mail (not an email) to this (reportedly) cell phone company.

1st the good... For 4 years I spent very little money while being a SafeLink subscriber. With SafeLink they receive money from the government thru the Lifeline program. At first they sent me a crappy phone. It worked ok but it was very uncomfortable to use so I bought a :feature phone: that didn't clear out the minutes for about $75. All went well. When I activated the phone it gave me like 4000 minutes and didn't add any minutes every month. Now the bad... As I got close to the end of them I called and was told to call later. They dropped me months before without telling me. I had to re-enroll which I tried and finally succeeded after the 3rd time. Apparently they go by the enrollment number so I went thru 3 applications. In the meantime I had to buy minutes. BADDER.

Then I got the bright idea after 4 good connection years with SafeLink/Tracfone that I wanted a smartphone. The SafeLink site says bring your phone or buy a phone "Now you can upgrade your current SafeLink phone to a phone of your choice, even a smartphone! Choose below to bring your own phone or to buy one of our available models and we'll guide you through the quick and easy process." Yeah... Thinking SafeLink and Tracfone are the same network because they pretty much are... So I buy a refurbished unlocked Samsung S6 like my granddaughter so I can see how cute she is on Musicly. Call, ask to transfer my number and minutes telling them the brand etc. Buy the BYOP kit. One by one I tried the sim cards. One by one they failed. No network, no bars. My old phone had 2-4 bars.

I spent hours talking to them, chatting with them. They would send another sim and another ticket number, buying minutes and data, losing 1000 minutes about 8 sim cards later I send the phone back thinking it was broken. I put my old LG 306g feature phone on but they transferred no minutes. A week later 6/1/2017 I buy a Samsung Galaxy Luna from the Tracfone site. Figuring, it's a unlocked phone and a Tracfone. So I try with the Sim in the box, buy more minutes and then they send me another sim and that fails. Then a bright girl at Tracfone pipes up and says "Oh! you need a GSM phone!" (Then they have me return it thinking they MIGHT do a technology exchange despite the computer refusal.) I get THE SAME MODEL PHONE back from STRAIGHT TALK??? And I put the sim in and it starts to download a lot.

I get a email from Google saying I signed in from a Samsung Galaxy J1 (which is a GSM SafeLink phone) so I think they did something to it and can't figure out why again it doesn't work. So I am sending it back for a refund that will take 30 days. BUT EVEN the $200 or so it cost them. WHY the hell does a HUGE company like Tracfone/SafeLink/Straight Talk/Net 10/TelCell and more WHY are the so inefficient!!! On the back of the Samsung Galaxy Luna package which is a Tracfone it says it's not for SafeLink Customers! Why doesn't it say anything on the Tracfone online shop? And in the Tracfone chat it says that their chat options is on all their sites but it's not on the Safelink site!!! This all started the beginning of May, 6/1 I bought the Luna and will have to go back. Have gone back to my feature phone and I'm waiting for another sim from them. All in all 8 weeks and I still have no working phone. FUN.

Spent all day on phone being transferred all over the world to get the lost phone cancelled and to seek a refund on the autoload pulled from my checking. Not a chance. Everything you would expect: electronic menus, fake computer voice guy, and then finally a real person in chat if you are lucky. Zero stars and a big lesson learned. You won't be able to understand anyone and they will cut you off everytime if you ask for a refund. Finally, you just give up, which is what they want you to do.

I requested if they would unlock my phone, but was informed that it did met the requirements, but she was unable to do so, and when I asked why she said it would not take the code. I asked if anything else could be done, and she said NO, when I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was informed she was the only one that works in the department and then she hung up. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! THE DEALS ONLINE AND ON TV SOUND GOOD, UNTIL YOU NEED THEIR SERVICE.

The first problem is that you are forced to give at least one star - they deserve less. I have spent the last three hours trying to reconnect my phone with new minutes. The moron with broken English did was change my phone number, connected an LG phone (mine was a Motorola), told me to disregard no connection available, and try to connect later in the day. IT DID NOT WORK. I then was told by technical services after a 15 minute hold and one hour of working to correct the error that they could not fix it, but I would be transferred to billing who will offer a credit and then install service on the correct phone. Fifteen minutes of hold later, they said they could not offer a credit because they did nothing wrong. HUH... Putting bill in protest, and sending phone to the bottom of the canal behind my home. Worst customer service and people I have ever run into.

So I bought a TracFone and used my debit card for the payment. Talking to a live operator, whose accent was so thick from the middle east you cannot understand them, and was talked into upgrading my plan and doing autopay. This is the only place ever to use autopay for not only the first 3 months of payments, but the next 3 months also. I was told at the end of each month, my text messaging and data plan would be restored to the monthly plans purchase... But it has not, this company will talk you into plans that they do not fully provide all that was purchased, they will rip you off. I've had to change my debit card to keep them from charging me autopay and switch service where I actually get what I pay for. I will never use TracFone or buy its products ever again.

Phone minutes have been depleting QUICKLY. TracFone minutes = 1 minute = 1 minute in SAME Zip Code. TracFone minutes = 1 minute = 2 to 3 minutes outside of Zip Code. So if you made a 10 minute call outside of YOUR zip code (not area code) 10 minutes = 30 minutes. TracFone will tell you it is stated in their terms and conditions. It does not indicate zip code. It states roaming coverage area. They do not define on their website roaming coverage area as outside your zip code. They will ONLY verbally tell you that. This is HOW TracFone will continue to deplete service minutes.

Let me start off by saying THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE AND BAD BUSINESS ALL THE WAY AROUND!! My 73 year old stepfather paid for an over a hundred dollar Galaxy S3 from TracFone sold as a TracFone. It is written three times all over phone even when starting it up! So I have spent 6 hours on and off with customer service being told, “Oh yes. It will work. Give it an hour.” So I did that 3 times then called back again after calling from local Walmart so they could instruct on proper items to buy. Gave them pin number for time card. Again wait an hour. So did that then called back. Got a guy from customer service that sang the whole time and talked in another language and laughed to his friends. I had to remind him that I was still on phone after 10 minutes. Then he said in a rude tone, “Your phone will work” and then hung up in my face.

So I waited 2 hours this time, phone still not working so I called back and was told, “Oh that is a Sprint phone. We don't cover that phone.” Wait. Didn't this phone have TracFone written all over it sold from their company as a TracFone?! I ask for a supervisor. Transferred to 2 different ones because the first one didn't want to deal with it. Now on phone with second one. Again push problem off on somebody else. Won't pay for phone purchase and I again have to use my time to take air time back to Walmart for refund. Mind you Walmart is 30 minutes from home. Horrible horrible business.

I bought and paid for a phone from QVC. It came with text minutes and voice minutes. When they ran out I called to purchase more minutes and they were outrageous. I am 65, live alone with a small income, I need a phone. TracFone is refusing to unlock the phone so that I can get an affordable plan. The customer service is horrible. The last person I talked to said it didn't matter if I was old disabled and poor. They will not unlock the phone for 1 year. They said I could call BBB, an attorney and still won't unlock it.

I own this phone. I paid for it but they believe they do and are holding me hostage. This company is horrible, I won't give them another dime. They got paid for the phone and I can't help it. Their plans are so expensive. Please can someone help me. Why are we allowing this treatment. Where are the laws protecting us from this usury violations?

When my existing phone would no longer charge I ordered a new one through my service provider, TracFone. When it arrived it had no battery. TracFone's response was that they would send me a mailer to return the batteryless phone which I would then have to return. Once they received that phone they would ship me a replacement. Total time 5-10 days. The logical response would have been to ship a battery, overnight problem solved 1 day, regular 3 days, instead they choose to leave a customer without service for at least a business week. Then they have the nerve to thank me.

I used TracFone for YEARS. In 2016, they forced me to give up the phone I had for all that time and accept a replacement - Not much better than the original - Because of something related to cell tower coverage. I had more than THREE YEARS worth of airtime service! They took all that away. They replaced it with 500 minutes. I'd rather have the airtime service. In late 2016, I let the airtime expire for over 60 days, and now, TracFone has deleted ALL of the 500 minutes that they gave me. Now, I lost more than three years of service THAT I PAID FOR, and the 500 minutes THAT I NEVER ASKED FOR. I don't plan to ever buy another TracFone again!

TracFone customer service sucks! I have spent over 8 hours of live chat and phone calls with them. They speak very broken English, and are hard to understand. I still have a phone that I can't use. They have sent new sims twice that don't fit my phone. I bought this phone on QVC with 1350 minutes. I have purchased TracFones before at Walmart and activated them myself with no problem, or complaints. They all had good service where I live. This one only gets 1 bar, and is not WiFi calling capable, which they don't tell you this. Now they said they will send me a different phone, not the same phone, but just a different one. I asked them what model they will send, they said whatever the warehouse sends me! What a ripoff! From now on American Made, American service on everything!! Verizon and AT&T doesn't work here either.

One month after my husband received his phone, we noticed there was a discrepancy regarding how many minutes had been used. We added up all the minutes, seconds and text (only 3) that was on his phone. There was a difference of 25 minutes and some odd seconds. I chatted (online) with customer service and shared this info. I didn't get anywhere with the rep, so I asked to speak w/ a supervisor. He said they don't work on Sunday and to call back Mon-Fri. We decided not to deal w/ this company and when his service term was completed, we would get another service.

My husband rarely uses a phone. About a month goes by and he has 26 days left on his plan w/ 4.55 minutes left. He unknowingly answered a call from a telemarketer. As soon as he realized it, he hung up. Exactly .8 seconds was used, yet it took 2 minutes off. Although we had decided to get rid of Tracfone, for the principle of the matter, I felt compelled to call again. I yet again told them the entire story. How he initially had 120 minutes, yada, yada, yadda. They said there was nothing they were willing to do about it. Except give us 1 free minute!! This is clearly consumer fraud. Not only am I writing this, but I plan to make a complaint.

THIS IS THE WORST PHONE COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!! Their phone cards are so overpriced it's ridiculous!!! Most overcharged phone cards!!! Use another company and look at the phone card prices before choosing a phone, so you know what you're going to spend every month. I was so ticked off, that after I bought another phone, after only having the TracFone for only a week, I broke it in two. Sure, I could have given it away, but I wouldn't give that phone to my worse enemy! Why put someone else through the hell I went through with their overpriced cards and TERRIBLE customer service!! DON'T BUY THIS PHONE!

My father is 90 years old and very careful about monitoring his use of his cell phone. The last time we checked his available minutes he had 244 minutes and today he has 0. We know for a fact my 90 year old father has not been chatting the phone for over 4 hours. I spent over 2 1/2 hours on the phone with their inept, lying service reps and was continually lied to and given the royal run-around. I was told I'd be transferred to a person on two different occasions and got a recording; a third time I was disconnected instead of being transferred.

After the 7th phone call I was told by a so-called manager they were adding 500 minutes to his contract and sat on hold for 15 minutes for this to supposedly happen. Well guess what---the minutes never materialized and when I called back they could find no records that this conversation or transaction ever occurred. I only wish I could give them a -99 rating instead of a 1! If you value your time, money and sanity; DO NOT buy a contract with TracFone!!!

I was surprised to read so many negative reviews about TracFone. I have been a subscriber for over 13 years, and have honestly not experienced any of the issues reported by consumers. I've fallen into a pool, ruining a phone, and they helped me transfer my phone number and existing service over to a new phone with no problems. My spouse had awful T-Mobile service and transferred his phone number to a new TracFone and has been equally satisfied. I know things don't always go as one hopes, and understand the frustration that must be occurring, but I can only provide positive information. I think it is a great value ($100 a year is cheap!) and they give me triple minutes for my particular phone every year when I renew. This is standard, not because I am a return or long-time customer. I know this will sound like I am an employee of TracFone, but I am just a retired guy who is happy with his TracFone service.

I've traveled from one side of the US to another and have found very few areas in which I am unable to receive a signal for my Tracfone. I initially bought it as I would be traveling M-F with 2 children under my care over 15 miles into the countryside. I chose Tracfone not only because of the price, but the ease of not having a contract. Adding minutes every month is easy and the service lasts for 90 days, adding up to longer periods of service time whenever you add minutes and are using your phone. A great way to keep in touch with family and friends.

I purchased two Rebel smartphones from Trac in late December of last year. One smartphone was to be for me and the other for my father. We have used TracFone for years problems with only occasional problems dealing with technical support. I transferred an active TracFone number to the new Rebel smartphone. It took five calls to technical support for them to finally get the Rebel activated correctly. Once the snow melted I took the phone with me to our house in the mountains where I always have been able to use my other Tracfone. The Rebel showed a signal strength of between one and three bars depending on how the wind was blowing. This is a mountainous area so trees swaying with the wind always affects connectivity.

I would call Trac and get technical support and they would fumble around supposedly changing something and then when I got home I had to do the power off and back on to get the new updates. This has been going on for months with no change. The people in the technical department could clearly see that the phone that would not work was a smartphone. While reading the terms and conditions of Tracfone use tonight I found Item 10 Roaming.

THE IMPORTANT PART is that last sentence as Trac does not advertise anywhere else that if you purchase a smartphone or transfer a smartphone through the Bring Your Own Phone program that phone is useless outside a select calling area because it is not allowed to roam by Trac. If you are considering Trac DO NOT purchase a smartphone because it will not work when you need it the most when you are outside your authorized zone calling for emergency services.

This is a warning against the unscrupulous practices of TracFone Wireless Inc. In November 2014, my husband and I purchased two cell phones and connectivity through the Walmart Family Mobile Plan. Recently, Walmart apparently contracted their phone services connectivity to Tracfone Wireless without notice. We only received a text demanding to pay by May 25, 2017, 3 days earlier than our plan called for, and we are being converted to pre-pay.

Upon going to the Walmart store, trying to pay on the 25th, Walmart personnel could not take our payment. We were then advised of a Tracfone Wireless take-over. We are now on a fixed retirement income and after also learning of proposed rate increases, we chose to discontinue and change our connectivity through Consumer Cellular, advertised thru AARP at about 1/3 the cost.

In response, Tracfone Wireless disabled our phones sometime before the 25th, claiming they “own” the phone numbers. Internet was mysteriously “offline” 7-10 days prior to that. In essence, they totally disabled our cell phones and are not capable to be used by any other provider, even though we own our phones, We were told if we choose any other service plan our Walmart purchased phones will be useless. Then after many hours wasted communicating with Walmart and Tracfone representatives, resulting in lies given by them, telling us the phones would later be unlocked on June 1st, has been a total fraud.

They have not unlocked the phone and we were forced to purchase two new phones being a strain on our budget and starting over with new phone numbers. This “slamming” has been a major inconvenience, not to mention, per more research, ILLEGAL. They are cyber thieves, and “Slammers”. If anyone else has encountered this horrible experience, or can be of service in this situation we would appreciate hearing your reviews.

TracFone deleted more than 1000 minutes and data I accumulated for more than 3 years. The phone I got from them died, then they sent another one but my minutes were not credited. I'll NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN, dishonesty a galore!

TracFone has the most illiterate, untrained, unprofessional, and inept millennial Hispanic CSRs anywhere including AT&T. For 2 weeks I have been fighting to get service reinstated on an Android ZTE phone. We went from new SIM card, to standing outside, to being by a double window. Nothing worked as the entire problem was from their own failure to connect the number to their system. Then, they wanted to charge more money for minutes that I had already paid on May 17. You almost have to threaten them with a lawyer to get them to move. TracFone is the most frustrating service provider I have ever dealt with. The time to cancel with TracFone cannot come soon enough.

Okay. TracFone is a complete rip-off. Getting an unlimited service plan for probably a whole family would be cheaper with *any other* carrier. $20 for a couple hundred texts and a few hundred and a gig of data... really? As far as I know, it's not even possible to get an unlimited plan with these hooknosed ** who don't even speak English. Not only that, but even after a purchase of "airtime" one must wait extended periods of time for it to come through. I got this phone as a Christmas gift, and for that I am grateful, yes. I would never have purchased a phone through them.

They call it TracFone because they want to track you. Duh. The prices are absolutely ridiculously high. Their slogan is a complete lie. "Do everything for less." Then why is it so much more expensive than any other carrier? Luckily, I've not had the pleasure of having to speak with their great customer service... not yet, at least. (darn!) Don't ever get a phone with them... ever. You'll find yourself spending 3x more money than any other carrier for unsatisfactory everything. I *should* be able to get the "air" time (what a horrible name for minutes, texting, etc) right after purchasing it. Nope, it takes forever. These Shylock, Red Sea pedestrians have outlived their usefulness. Perhaps they worked well and had good prices for the 90's, but every single carrier, even the brand new carriers, have prices 10x better with service 10x better.

With paying for a card to add minutes, I specifically called TracFone, to add these minutes to my TEXTING only SPECIFICALLY. The card purchased does not specifically note on it ANYWHERE, that we must call their 800 phone number, with debit card payment, to add minutes to TEXTING only! For us customers that have need to add minutes for TEXTING only, and not phone or data, this is UNFAIR that speaking directly to a Customer Service person, requesting that this card purchased was for TEXTING needs only, yet they put it thru for phone and data, that isn't needed, and had to pay for!

TRACFONE SUCKS! On 23 May I ordered a iPhone 5s from the TracFone website for $129.99 and also paid for overnight shipping. On 24 May, I logged into the TracFone website to check the status of the order and found the very same phone was now being sold for $79.99... a 40% discount. I opened an online Chat and explain to the representative the situation and ask for a refund on $50.00 on the original purchase. I was told that in order to get the discount I would have to return the original purchase, wait up to 30 days for the refund of the canceled purchase, and re-ordered the very same item for the new price. NO ONE seems to know who can authorize such a refund.

On 30 May, I called the number listed below and after 30 minutes of the representative searching they told me that they were Straight Talk and I would have to be transfer to TracFone... the numbers are the same!!!! After explaining yet again the situation I was then transferred to another department about refunds. I have no less than 10 times explained either online chat or on the phone the situation and have yet to find anyone who can provide any remedy aside from sending back the phone and reordering.

THIS AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE! Its remedy is a simple line entry in your accounting forms/programs to provide a refund to my bank. End of problem. Instead, you have in place a convoluted process whose sole purpose is to confuse and aggravated the complainant to the point of total frustration causing them to just give up. You're not serving your customers... you're torturing them!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.
  • Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.
  • Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.
  • International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.
  • Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.
  • Best for TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones