2.03/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 21, 2017

2022 TracFone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Purchased refurbished LG Treasure smartphones through Tracfone to upgrade to from okay but cheap Pixies Glitches over a year ago. Service was okay, the best part was the phones worked from Omaha to armpit of OK where we visit family 6 times a year. 3-4 months go by and we visit again, a roaming triangle comes up on phone and when we attempt to call a recording tells us to enter credit card number to purchase roaming pin. Online states no roaming fees with smartphones. No notification of any coverage area changes. Nothing but tough luck from cust. service rep via chat since 4G still works fine. WTF!?! Does not make any sense with 5 bars service to be roaming with working 4G. No longer worth having.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Because I only use a cell phone to call home occasionally, I bought a TracFone. I've been a customer for over 10 years with several different phones over that time period. After over 10 years of TracFone experience, I just lost all my accumulated minutes over 5739 minutes, over 5 GB of data and 7339 texts. After over 7 hours of arguing with customer service over a 3 day period, I received about 2282 minutes but no data or texts. I notice number complaints of people losing their minutes and I wanted to add my story to the many. Be careful if you have a TracFone and you are transferring data, you may want to take a date stamped photo of your info before the transfer.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I purchased an new TracFone LG cellphone with a few amenities from Walmart only to find that 90 days after purchase the voicemail account was still active from the previous owner of the tel. no. I also purchased a 120 minute TracFone minutes cards that cost somewhere around $30. I could not get the unhelpful CSRs at TF to take off the old password because I didn't have another phone number so they could call me back on?? I have since taken the phone back to WalMart for a FULL refund but TracFone WILL NOT reimburse me or refund me or give me a TF credit for the lost minutes that I never got to use but paid for!

The CSR told me that since I purchased the phone card from WM TracFone will not issue any partial or full refunds. In other words in order to receive a refund for the unused minutes I paid for I had to pay for the minutes with a CC from the TF website. I hope that TF goes out of business or bankrupt due to their unscrupulous business tactics.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I use them because they are cheap but I had difficulty enrolling more than 1 phone. Customer service is probably a call center, accents make understanding the person very difficult.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Great provider and cost is very low compared to other cell companies. I am more than happy with them and phones are either free or low cost. Smartphones are also fairly up to date and you can use other phones with this service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have been a Straight Talk/Tracfone customer for a long time. As a rule I have always had a hard time connecting to a tower from my house. To call or text I would have to walk out to the driveway to get 1 bar. This last year I haven't been able to get a signal at all. When I deer hunt I will get 1 or 2 bars and at least make an emergency call if needed but their service seems to be going downhill.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Ordered and paid for on Weds, Nov 1. FedEx delivery overnight. Email to me: Estimated delivery Nov 3rd. Email to me with tracking number that didn't work. No delivery. Had to contact customer service who finally told me delivery would be on Nov 6th. Don't believe their Fedex promise. Will not buy from them again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Have had TracFone since 2003. Reliable, great service til 9/2017. Had to get new phone cause I lost power cord to old phone. Wanted to keep old phone # that I have had forever and transfer the substantial remaining time I have with old phone and number. There was an English speaking person with very heavy foreign accent who assured me that my phone number as well as my time would be transferred to my new iPhone within 24 hours. And this is a TracFone iPhone.

FORGET IT! NOT DONE!!! BEGINNING OF THE END FOR TRACFONE! They dont care about their American consumers whose English is their FIRST and ONLY language. Consumers who have been with them from the beginning. Either they will learn what PC brands learned long ago after transferring tech help to foreign countries and then back to USA or they will go down the drain of collapsed out of business companies of the past. What a shame. Think I will go back to a wired home phone only. They had no one who could help me who spoke regular (no foreign accent) English and I was transferred to 5 different people.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

TracFone is a great cell phone company. Never have I had any problems with TracFone. I would tell everyone how great it is. Get away from AT&T, or any of the other cell phone companies and go to Tracfone and save.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Excellent 24 hr customer service. Easy to use and great to keep up with minutes and data left, so that you won't run out of them. Can wirelessly add minutes.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I cannot believe that these guys deduct calling minutes whenever I receive a phone call or text - it's daylight robbery. I've chewed through almost 60 minutes in one night with only 6 calls totalling less than FOUR minutes, and only 11 texts. I will not be using these clowns again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

They need to provide larger phones with a larger keyboard, especially for the elderly who have a difficult time with the buttons that look like a home telephone, takes twice as long to respond because you have to punch 3-4 buttons just to get the letters.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I kept a TracFone for emergencies. My regular phone died today and since I had purchased this Tracfone the last time I had problems with my phone I pulled it out expecting to simply have to buy more minutes. Not that easy. I reached some person that English was not their native language who was going to help me 1. log into my account, 2. activate my phone. Though it was difficult to understand him after a series of questions he finally told me my Sim card was expired. He placed me on hold several times and then came back on the line and told me that he had requested a new Sim card for me. How nice. He told me he created a ticket and that when it resolved I would be able to activate my phone. I was OK with that. He hung up and did not help me log into my account, which they sent me the password for and I still cannot log in.

That was midday. At 5:30 I began to try to activate my phone. Long story short, I still cannot log into my account and when I got someone on the phone this time I was told that the sim card would be mailed to me. I was in shock and asked for a supervisor. He did not help, and none of the three people I spoke with have great skills in speaking English. They cannot activate my account nor can they help me log into my email apparently until I get this Sim card. This is my first and last experience with Tracfone. I knew it was a cheap phone when I bought it. I was correct, it was a cheap phone and even cheaper customer service. It is true that you get what you pay for. I will be traveling using someone else's phone tonight but never again will I spend a cent on Tracfone. A total waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

TracFone has been the best provider for me cost wise. Usually $20.00 every 3 months, and they have great plans, including an unlimited yearly plan for $200.00. Verizon wants too much for the same service and requires a service plan with an enormous security deposit. Virgin Mobile is not worth the trouble because when you contact them, no one understands or speaks English. I purchased a new smartphone from TracFone for $20.00, have not had a problem, and because I purchased the phone from them, the minutes I purchase on the cards are tripled for as long as I have the phone. No other requirements needed. I highly recommend them for everyone.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I save a lot of money by using no contract plan. Coupled with computer use and some savvy for my particular phone use, high prices on phone and contract is no benefit for me.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have not only an LG Rebel new smartphone but I also was able to buy a year’s prepaid service plan. I have been very pleased for several reasons. The first reason is that this smartphone is so very easy to use which is great as this is my first smartphone. Secondly with its operating system being Android, it recognized my tablet and downloaded everything from my tablet. I was so relieved that I did not have to do all of that work on my smartphone. I still have plenty of data left as needed, my minutes are satisfactory as I only use minutes in case of emergency or if the electricity were to go out. I did need to add more text use, but it was an exceptional price as is adding any extra data or minutes. I would not recommend this plan if one needed to use this plan for work or if one needs/wants to use it to talk or use an excessive amount of data.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

For the limited amount of use of my cellphone, TracFone well suits my needs. TF allows purchase of only time needed and used, and also has a reliable phone purchase system. Would recommend if you use cellphone sparingly.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

TracFone is by far the worst company that I have ever dealt with. I’ve spent countless hours on the phone and wasting hundreds of TracFone minutes (that I paid for) dealing with issues regarding my TracFone problems, always needing to repeat myself over and over again and answering the same questions over and over again. The foreign people that are TracFone’s customer service, speak English, but do not listen well and seem to not understand English. It’s beyond frustrating. I have spent hours waiting for them to check something, “process” what needs to be done (which rarely works) or being dished off to a supervisor that I need to go through the whole grueling process, always from square one.

“Notes” from your last phone call, seem to be non-existent with your follow-up call about the same issue not being resolved. TracFone is never more efficient or effective whenever I call or whomever I speak with. Nothing but headaches... This company should be investigated. DO NOT BUY TRACFONE OR THEIR MINUTES... otherwise you’ll regret it.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I've been with Tracfone for about 10 years and have never had a problem. A couple months ago I decided to updated from a very simple Tracfone to a Tracfone Smartphone. In activating and setting up the phone there was a problem. After several "chats" they decided the phone was defective. They sent me a prepaid Fedex envelope to send the phone back to the warehouse and then they were to resend me a replacement which I assumed would be the same model phone. "Someone" canceled that order. This is what it took to finally get me a phone:

Different reps talked to: 23. How many times I called them: 16. Time spent on those calls: 15 + hours. Times that I was told a phone was sent or to be sent: 9

Phones received: 2 that were cheaper by 33% when NEW, but these were used refurbished phones. 1 that was a different model but at least of equal value. I finally talked to "T" @ the Corporate Office who actually knew what she was doing and cared about my dilemma. It took some doing and several phone calls, but she is the one that got me a phone and helped me with the activation.

She gave me her direct phone number so I didn't have to keep talking to a different person, each time having to explain the problem all over again. What I don't understand is how the phone I ordered is still available on Amazon, but not in the Tracfone warehouse. Tracfone needs to realize that while it may have a reasonable cell phone service, it has a long ways to go in improving its customer service. The reps need to be better educated in the process, and to speak English more clearly.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Called to get some support with my Sunset Plaza LG TracFone. Had to speak to 3 agents, but they did not fix my issue. Now, it's worth noting their support is routed to the Philippines, I usually have great rapport with these wonderful people, but this time was different; 1st girl was slow to respond when spoken to, lacked empathy, had NO sense of humor & spent the majority of our time on the phone making excuses that she was limited in her ability to help me, had very little resources but would do her best. (She said that 4 or 5 times) Hum! Her best was pretty pathetic! 20 min into the call I realized I would get nothing from that sad, poorly trained employee.

I didn't give up, and called again; hoping for someone a bit more experienced & perhaps with a better disposition. Frankly; the next girl was no better & wasted more of my time by giving me the runaround, on top of that; she was also a mumbler, I could understand maybe 2 out of 5 words she spoke, she didn't enunciate and barely had an accent! She knew even less than I do and gave me the same go nowhere frustrating runaround the last girl did! She pretended to pass me onto a supervisor... but instead I was on INDEFINITE HOLD!!! In a vortex of wasted time for over 15 min, almost an hour spent with dealing with sub-par communication. I hung up and tried again!!! 3rd time; not a charm! The next girl sounded like I just woke her up! They all had an attitude problem like a total lack of confidence in their ability to do the job - she was just as frustrating as the last 2.

I don't believe TracFone is even training their employees to help with routine issues, it's a shame; because their product isn't terrible, it's not great; but for these rates, I can't be too mad. Their phones don't last, so they need to be replaced yearly, but you wind up only paying for the minutes. By the time I hung the phone up; my issue had still not been resolved. TracFone ONLY PROVIDES MINIMAL TECH SUPPORT WITH THEIR PHONES BECAUSE THEIR EMPLOYEES KNOW A LOT LESS THAN WE DO! The company has been in business long enough to have made strides & should have progressed & evolved by now; but nothing has improved at TracFone, as far as tech support; my experience was far below expectations. Luckily; a half hour later; I had figured things out on my own & finally succeeded in downloading my sound files to my hard drive & was able to play them. Huge relief!!! No thanks to TracFone support!

TracFone; please train your overseas team to be more knowledgeable about your products, and help them loosen up a little, they all sound so tightly wound up, the 1st one was overly submissively polite and "maamed" me to death! Pet peeve! I hate to be called Maam a bunch of times in a row! It was constant in every sentence, I told the girl, talk to me like we're friends ~ She went silent & was having none of it! Loosen up ladies, being friendly doesn't make you less professional, take some pleasure in your work! In America; it's a requirement!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

It's cheaper (pay as you go) than monthly plans, but the phone is horrid, difficult if not impossible to download app's, using the internet is difficult & SLOW.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

It seems TracFone has unilaterally discontinued their triple minutes for life program effective 6/1/2017 which I paid for several years ago... I rarely use my cell phone. More like a lifeline when traveling. I am 65 and disabled... I recently renewed my service dates for another year, but was given only double minutes. It was only when I called them and spoke to a very professional and apologetic CSR that I learned of the change. She even spoke to her supervisor and told me there is nothing they can do. They even upped their yearly charge for 400 minutes which used to be automatically tripled from $79.99 to $99.99. Still cheaper than a monthly plan from a traditional carrier. I just don't like how underhanded they were about it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

TracFone prepaid contracts with carriers, such as AT&T and Verizon, but this whole concept is very misleading! One would expect the phone to work off of whichever network that's available in the area, but not so. It depends on the particular Tracfone-branded phone that you buy (and the info on what network that phone used may not be known to you until you get the phone). Example: I had the Tracfone Alcatel flip phone model, which used AT&T. Worked great in my mountain area, and I could usually use it when traveling. Phone had no WiFi, so I bought Tracfone-branded Samsung Galaxy Sky. That's when problem began.

It used Verizon 4G/LTE. Their maps are misleading. NO BARS EVER at my house. Signal reception in town okay, but then South of Chatsworth, GA, all the way to Cartersville, GA, zero bars! That's a 1 hour drive. Map disclaimers imply there may be small "pockets" of no reception, but clearly this is large area. Tracfone Customer Service turns a deaf ear to this complaint. If you happen to get a phone that utilizes a viable network, then I have no complaint w/ Tracfone contracts. Very affordable. Sometimes it's hard to know which card is best, but they do have many affordable options.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I bought a new TracFone in May. At that time it was fairly easy to send photos to my e-mail. When I tried to send some photos yesterday, the phone would not send. I went online to chat section of TracFone help. The technician basically said that this function is no longer available. It is impossible to transfer photos from the phone to a computer.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Have been with TracFone for 20 years. They are connected to more towers than any other. No dropped calls. Other people's expensive phones cannot be used sometimes where my phone can. I use my phone for the purpose it was made. No games etc.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I purchased a Samsung phone from HSN 1 yr ago. The phone does not charge. On 10/3 I received a new battery and charger, it still does not work. They said if that doesn't work, I am eligible for a new phone because it is still under warranty. Well, when I called on 10/4 I spoke to a girl named Cynthia, she said a new phone will be sent to me next Tues or Wed. I asked for a confirmation # or track #, she did not have it, she said it would be emailed to me. I called today and a new phone was never ordered. They have the worst Customer Service dept. They lie to you, keep you on hold for hours, and even disconnect your call if they can't resolve your problem. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS CO.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

If there is "0" on the scale, that is what I gonna rate. I won't recommend TracFone to anyone. The service plan is so disappointing. Where did you see any service like this, BOTH OUTGOING AND INCOMING PHONE CALLS AND TEXT MESSAGES WERE BEING DEDUCTED FROM THE BALANCE. I am into 1 year plan, SO UPSET. Just surprised, only sent 5 messages and 25 were deducted, no phone calls made and minutes were deducted too.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I just bought a very nice, brand new TRACFONE cell phone, which is service provider locked. So, I call my service provider, TRACFONE, and they tell me that they can't unlock my TRACFONE cell phone, and offer me 5 bucks for it. With their shady business practices and crappy customer service, I would give this company 0 stars if I could. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I was happy to return my phone when it stopped working BUT after much and MANY calls to get it returned to me was a trip around the world with many miscommunication with different people. I never got all my minutes back and was told because of the problems I would get extra minutes which NEVER happened. Most disappointment was my phone was DOWNGRADED!! They gave me very OLD phone. UGH!! I went from a 2015 model down to a 2004 model and this is not right... Since my phone was a gift from my sister who live out of state, it seem to be too much trouble for me to continue to complain to TracFone and I'm nearly 70 years old... I don't have a receipt and even less MB storage for photos.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We used TracFone successfully for two year as a phone our child could use when they needed a ride or if there was an emergency. When we purchased a second phone, the relationship went south. TracFone was more than happy to collect money but less likely to provide useful service and a refund when the phone and minutes didn't work. I wasted hours of my life trying to make the phone work by entering long strings of numbers provided by TracFone tech support. If I had the endurance and could outlast the TracFone tech support, they would pass me off to the next level of tech support for another night and more hours of mindless number entering.

The piece de resistance was when I finally outlasted all of the TracFone tech support and the final tech support person / manager who was suppose to give me a credit placed the phone down on the desk with the phone still on and walked away. As I sit here approximately a year later, I have no credit for a non functioning phone and useless minutes but TracFone has sent me two e-mails requesting a review and letting us know we need to add more minutes to the phone.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs