TracFone

TracFone Reviews

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

TracFone Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My husband and I currently have service with Verizon Wireless and I am just sick and tired of paying their fees for things we use very little. We have unlimited service with them for two lines are were conned into taking a couple of tablets from them with the assurance that we could drop the tablet lines in 6 months. About a year later we called to drop them and are now informed that we have to keep them for 2 years! These are about $50 tablets and of course we should have read the 10 page agreement before signing but as idiots do-we believed the salesman. So now we pay about $175 a month for just the two of us to use maybe 2 gb between us. We make and receive about 20 calls a month between us and the only texts we make are between the two of us and we are seniors so you can imagine that we don't go wild with selfies!

ANYWAY.... Due to this, I recently dug up my last phone which is a Galaxy Note 4 and decided to figure out if I could use it with TracFone and see if that system might work for us if we decide to abandon Verizon. I purchased a TracFone sim card at Walmart and easily replaced the one in my old Galaxy. Called the number on the card. The walk thru asked if I had service with them, No I said, it asked if I wanted to bring my own phone, Yes, I had to enter the IMEI number and I was asked if I wanted to purchase a smartphone package and I chose the least one because I am just testing things out. I think it is 30 days unlimited talk and text with 1 gb of data. It came to $22.48.

They then asked me to try to make a call to see if it worked. I did-it did work and that was that. It was working immediately and my cell number given immediately. I have emailed and texted just to make sure it works. I have also used the internet just to see if it work and it does. I will say that it seems slower but this could be my older phone or it could be because I only purchased a gig. The main thing is that it works fine. Most of our phone time is using wifi at home and I can still do that. In closing I will say that if I continue getting the service I am getting I will be dropping Verizon after 20 years as a customer and going to TracFone. If worse comes to worse and I dislike them later, there are other companies to try.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I ordered a TracFone because my iPhone with T-Mobile was not allowing me to make calls. And I truly love this phone. I almost always have service and the calls are crisp. Texting is good because they always go through. I am tempted to switch over from T-Mobile completely and just use my TracFone primarily. I would say the only problem is the internet is slow however I only have 1 GB a month so that is probably why it's so slow. Either way I like the TracFone service and they are a good alternative to the expensive big brands.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2019

After paying a lot of money to Verizon for a dozen or more years, I decided to try TracFone with my Motorola Play Z Droid, a CDMA phone which can only use Verizon's cell towers. My coverage with TracFone has been identical to my being with Verizon because my CDMA phone uses the same Verizon towers. After a few weeks using TracFone, I switched my wife's Motorola Moto G6 (also CDMA) from Verizon to TracFone with the same great outcome. Our total monthly cost is less than one-third of what it had been. BTW, neither of us is a heavy data user. We each use less than .5G per month.

While I strongly endorse TracFone's cell service using CDMA devices and necessarily Verizon towers, I have no basis for evaluating using GSM devices and their use of non-Verizon towers. I would give TracFone 5 stars, but their chat and phone support need some improvement. Some of their reps are very hard to understand and need to learn to express themselves more clearly.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have had Verizon for years. When I found myself in the market for new cell phone, I decided to look outside the box. Wow, I am so glad I did! I bought my own phone, found a bargain on Moto G5plus Gold that I love. I tried TracFone for a month (no contract), and was so happy with it that I bought the 1 year plan. A one time payment on my phone and then a one time payment on my service for the year. I'm done, no monthly payments, yay :). When you do the math and you realize this saves SO much money. And I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything - except the high monthly bill that I never understood. The customer service, both online and by phone, is great. The reception when talking on the phone is exceptional. Texting, etc... all works perfect.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I’ve had Tracfone for 20+ years and continue to love them. I don’t want all that other stuff, no smartphone and cameras, and such. Just a good old handy cell phone... and they deliver. I would like a QWERTY keypad, yet I’m not trading this phone for one that has camera, internet, games... Let me have my phone and text and I’m a happy camper. I especially like prepaying and not having to pay a monthly charge when my usage varies greatly from month to month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have been with TracFone since about 16 or 17. I'm now 24. I have always had issues with customer service department when trying to get my minutes from old semi working/broken phone to a new phone. Well this time my phone number was important due to many people knowing to get ahold of me based off this phone number. My phone would not hold a charge for a long time and was broken in one corner causing it to back out if I was ever on the internet or trying to look at something so I decided to get a new phone after moving. I went to try to transfer my old phone number to a new phone but the first day I called they told me there was an error and to wait 24 hours and call again. I called again 24 hours later and talked with them for 30 minutes with the same answer. No matter what I asked they told me the new phone works but they cannot transfer my number over. I recommend taking your money to another place besides TracFone.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Believe me when I say you should never Tracfone. It's an awful cellular provider and I'll tell you why. First off, their customer support is terrible. The representatives are not helpful and tell you the problem is on your end when it's in fact on their end. I've had this problem more than once. Second, their new unlimited plans are incredibly buggy. They don't auto-renew as advertised. Data does not renew. Cellular data stopped working because it didn't renew. Customer support said it was because we didn't pay, but we did. After many hours on the phone with unhelpful support, data finally started working. Then, it stopped working after two days. It's just terrible. NEVER USE TRACFONE!!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I receive one bar on my phone while standing with my head next to one window in my apt. The phone will disconnect if I move away. I can not make or receive calls without being by this window. I have a heart condition and need to be able to call if something were to happen. I have called at least ten times, I have written two letters to complain. no results at all. -Billy **

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I have lost quite a bit of money dealing with TracFone. Been with them for years and am used to their lousy customer service, disappearing talk time, etc. Now I keep getting error codes saying I have insufficient funds to receive messages. Not true. I have 7070 texts available, 8gb data and 6600 mins. They will not help! I have called and tried the chat forum. I have tried everything. Even visited their forum. This issue has been going on for five years with their phones.

Here is the forum: https://www.tracfoneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6192&t=529261&start=50#p101149. When I asked Tracfone Clint for help he typed: "I am sorry, but what do you mean by forum?" That was a warning sign right there. Where do they find these incompetent people? I spent over two hours on the phone with him. I still cannot get text messages. I am beyond furious at this point. I hate Tracfone! He tried to tell me the problem is me. Thanks Tracfone. Ruined my whole weekend.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Bought a new TracFone 2 days ago and spent 4 hours with TECH SUPPORT. Still not working. So far been out 80 dollars. Will never deal with TracFone again. And I mean NEVER. Can't get a real person and when I finally did they did not speak clear English. The absolute worst.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs