TracFone

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Tracfone will not let me transfer my phone number to Verizon to use with my new iPhone. Agents told me how to do it but when I did what they said, Tracfone would not release my number. Bad, Bad company.

I bought a new phone directly from their site for my zip code so I knew I wouldn't have any problems with it. Very wrong, in spite of being told every phone on that site would work in my area it did not. I agreed to have it replaced since it must have just been a lemon. Wrong again, the second phone didn't work either. Then I was told to return it and they would credit my charge card. Lied to again, since it was now over 30 days since I actually purchased the first phone, no refund could be given.

I spent hours on several days trying to get the phone(s) working. Calling them and doing everything they asked, carrying the phone all around town looking for enough bars on it to get it activated. Inside, outside, code this, try this, return phone. Go though the whole setup routine again, return the phone and all they can now do for me is send me a cheaper phone, say "sorry you went 2+ months without a phone but we aren't going to compensate you for that at all," and no we don't refund you your costs of returning the second phone and we are still going to leave the phone that will not work in your area on the page for your area so we can try to make money off the next person that wants one.

This is not a reliable company, does not care about their customers, and I hope this will stop someone else from going without a phone when they need it most. They couldn't even reset my old phone during the time they left me totally hanging. And just for added information, I can see the cell tower from my windows and deck.

For the last 3 months I have been having a problem staying connected to their network. Multiple calls to the customer disservice have yielded no assistance. When the service returns, it is hit or miss if/when I receive notifications of texts or voice mails while I was disconnected. Each time the response was, "Turn it off and on again." I explained, "Most of the time I don't know when I lose service since I am not one of the people who stares at their phone most of the day." I was told by one person, that there was a problem in my area, and that the problem would be fixed in 24-48 hours. NOT. One person even suggested that I just step outside my house to connect.

One person suggested it might be that my phone is "outdated". When I told him that my friend has the exact same phone without any issues on a different network, he began stuttering. I think he may have gone into a temporary coma when I suggested that since I bought my phone directly from TracFone, they should replace it, if he really thought it was the phone. He was silent for quite a while. When I explained to her that the current temperature was single digits Fahrenheit, she giggled.

I attempted writing to them, but have not received a response. I notified the BBB and just received an email from them. Tracfone has not responded to multiple attempts to contact them. I like their plans and have been a customer of theirs for about 15 years. However, I am out of work now and when I need my phone the most, it doesn't work. And as for their customer disservice staff, I can't understand most of them. But I will admit, I do think it is hilarious, the number of people named Ann, Frank or Bill that live in New Delhi.

Company changed their website and the new website messed up and charged my account twice. I called them immediately and couldn't hear the person on the line. So I called back and then they couldn't hear me. I spoke with three people who were very difficult to understand. They spoke very fast and all had different accents. They could see that they charged twice and also admitted they were working on the website changes. However they did not refund my money because they were going to text me a number to give them. The phone is used in another household by a child then they said they could still help if I had the serial number to the phone. YES because we all memorize our serial numbers to our products. I gave up and will have to wait until I can get the serial number to call them back for my refund. I like the phone for the child and has worked fine but the customer service department and website are awful.

TracFone sucks! I currently have a Samsung smartphone (TracFone). It is 2 mos old. Won't maintain a charge and when it is charged it seems to overheat and shut off in middle of phone call (not dropping calls). I bought a new phone. Tried to activate new phone and transfer # from old phone. I keep getting recording. I need to speak to customer service rep. It offers to puts me on hold for 30+ minutes, or a callback. I have spent the last 3 1/2 HOURS waiting/trying to reach customer service... Really they can't call back in 3 1/2 hrs!!! This company and phones SUCK!!! USE THE PHONE WHEN TRAVELLING... DOES ME NO GOOD IF I CAN'T STAY CONNECTED.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

I recently purchased two phones for my parents. I add minutes using the website for better deals and such. Last week I was charged twice for one of the phones after adding minutes. I called them up and they were quick to rectify the issue. I was not issued a refund but I was given the minutes that I had supposedly purchased. That wasn't exactly what I had wanted but I had no other options as the representative didn't leave me much else in the way of choices and he sure as heck didn't offer me a refund. Today I went through the same issue, a double charge on my credit card. This particular representative who didn't seem to have a care in the world had me on the phone for damn near an hour and continued to let me know that this double charge was in some way my fault and there was nothing that could be done about it. Needless to say, I am very unhappy and disappointed and not only that, out $27.46.

Not worth the money saved - you will spend hours on their customer service line with incompetent people if you have any problems like your SIM card just goes bad and trying to have them send you another - after hours on the phone and waiting weeks they send you the incorrect SIM card! Or if you want to transfer phones and all of a sudden lose all your minutes/SMS/data in the transfer and they throw you in a loop claiming their systems are down and to call back - again after hours on the phone with them - NOT WORTH the headache!

I have bought the $99.99 one year plan for several years using the TracFone as an emergency phone to carry in my car. I just discovered that it doesn't work. After getting the message "no network coverage" I called the 800 number and was told that my current phone does not work on the new network. I have several months left on the plan and was not notified of this change so I am left without service.

I purchase an airtime card every 3 months for my 80 year old mother as her TracFone is the only means of communication that she has in the event of an emergency. Every time I go to add the airtime card (before the service days have expired) I get the message that it is unable to be added for technical issues. So I then have to call TracFone and hassle with a representative that are never fully and clearly fluent speaking and every time the rep gives me the same run around excuse that the number has been deactivated due to expired service days. I then go thru the hassle of explaining to them that my service days are current and that my phone number has not expired as I had just used it to call someone before trying to add the card. Then I get transferred to 2 or 3 different reps because the one before couldn't diagnose and/or fix the problem.

By the time I reach the third rep I have spent well over an hour out of my day and they haven't even resolved the problem yet. I called just this morning with the SAME problem I have each month and explain again my airtime card won't add to my phone. After putting me on hold 4 separate times the rep comes back on and tells me I need to provide a credit or debit card so I can purchase ANOTHER airtime card! I ask why should I need to purchase another card when I already purchased one and am trying to add it! She hummed and hawed over it and never did give me a straight answer as to why my airtime card wasn't working then she ended up hanging up on me! Great customer service right there! I am beyond disgusted and mortified at their lack of professionalism and assistance in resolving my issue.

I have reported the company to the Better Business Bureau in hopes of making more people aware how downright deplorable the TracFone company really is! This phone and system is NOT user friendly and it would be impossible for my 80 year old mother to EVER be able to navigate through all their hoops, instructions and processes that you have to go thru every 3 months just to add airtime! I strongly advise any current customer or customer considering going with TracFone to search and check into other wireless carriers/options because this company is a joke with absolutely ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS!!!

If you want just talk and text, they're great! But don't buy a phone from them because if you have a problem, you're up a creek, even if you can understand them. They can sell, activate, and refund, but don't know how to solve a problem when it comes to the phone. I hope I get my refund, we'll see! I bought a reconditioned phone and spent 3 days trying to get it to work right, spoke to many customer service agents, a couple even stopped talking to me and stayed on the phone, I guess just waiting for me to hang up. Very aggravating, then they tried to tell me that the notifications sounds for no reason was normal and to keep my phone on vibrate. So much for emergency calls, if I should miss them. That's not normal, sorry!

I bought a TracFone card for $19.99. I thought I activated it successfully - well I did, but it went to a different phone number! The numbers were very similar and I made a mistake. I called quickly but it was too late. Someone else got my 60 minutes. I can't afford to be so generous. It's not fair that they would not honor my minutes, or at least cancel out the other person's 'bonus'. I don't understand how they can treat a customer that way. I will never recommend them to my friends and they lost a long-term customer. They don't care evidently! Sad commentary on our times. Thanks.

10 year happy customer. I like TracFone very much. I am lucky to have an AFFORDABLE OPTION like Tracfone. There is no other affordable option for me. I typically text and have it on me for emergencies. The triple minutes they now offer are fantastic and they last the three months for me. So for about $7 a month, thank goodness, I have exactly what I need in a cellphone. Customer service has always been very patient and kind as well, they do not hang up until you are comfortable and happy.

We have a 4 phone value plan. The service/reception is thru Verizon and I have no complaints with that, it works fine. The problem is TracFone takes your money every month but you don't always get the mins added. The app and online account do not have a log so you can't see day to day how much time you have had only what they say you have on that particular day. TracFone reps are hit and miss. The engineers need to seriously change the app to keep a running log file of mins, text and data so that they don't end up in a class action lawsuit. The data has to be available so they need to apply it to the app and make it visible. I suspect the problem is very lucrative to the company.

I had Tracfones from when Tracfone was made in 1990s. I had a b/w screen first I had and barely fit in my pocket. I had to call a number to add the time I think. The phones are cheap and work for me. I love that the phones come with 20 minutes on a new activation. I called their number and couldn't understand what they are saying, mostly. I like to add a card from the prepaid menu and takes few seconds and a minutes I think. The 'live chat' is also nice. English and very helpful. I use it to transfer numbers and other help like getting a new SIM card. I read how awful people think Tracfone is, but give them one more chance, please they are getting better.

I will say that do NOT order a refurbished phone from them, not work. I called up Chat and they said water damage. The mouth piece was not working and I could send it back for a replacement phone free. Used. I got a new phone at a store and I am happy with it. Please stay with Tracfone if you chat or mess with ringers. The only problem with my phone is hitting the browser and going online or about to. (Press back real fast.) Nothing will happen and no missing units. I love that $20 air time card and 90 service days. All I need and NO hidden fees or monthly bills.

I bought TracFone in Jan 2017. I had 180 min. So far I have used about 60 min. I have been cut off so many times. Calling Canada took 4 or more times. Either number does not exist or check number. Do they think I am stupid? I wasted all my minutes either dropped calls or retries. I had 74 min left. Called a friend 200 yards away. Cut off, cut off. I now have 10 mins left. Where did all that time go?. Will I use TracFone again? Not a hope in hell.

For 4 months in a row, that I've noticed, I've been charged the monthly plan fee but didn't receive the talk, text, and data. I have called every month for 4 months that this has happened, and been told the problem was fixed. Who knows how many times I've been charged and not caught it. Since being a customer I've had many issues with this company regarding reliability of service and now I'm having an issue with being charged and not receiving what I paid for. I can't afford other plans. I'm constantly looking for better companies to do business with but they are more expensive.

I pay on the monthly plan. The few times I have had to get a replacement phone, there is very little problem. I am totally happy with the service I have, and plan to continue with the same service for the future.

So it was time for a new phone. I paid $53.49 for my phone and $100 for a year of service. I called and told them my phone wasn't working in Jan 2017. They said I would have no problem, they would send me a new phone. Well they didn't want to send it to my address so they sent it to the post office and it got sent back. I fell down the stairs and couldn't call 911. AFTER I PAID IT FOR A YEAR. So I called back then they tell me I should have called. I told them I did. Then they told me I had to send them my old phone. I said well it's been well over a month and no one told me I had to send the old 1 so I threw it away. I'm not even supposed to pay for a phone. I am on welfare, but again Tracfone with the addresses so I couldn't get the free phone THAT I QUALIFY FOR. So I was basically FORCED TO BUY A PHONE THAT I CAN'T HAVE. Treated like garbage.

I needed to add Data to our phones. I had to add my new credit card info. After entering the info, and hitting Submit, it came back with an invalid billing phone number. I used their live chat. She said I would have to talk with a customer service rep. Called and CS said my card was no good. I used two more cards and they were rejected too. I got the same message no matter what I tried. The credit dept rep with Tracfone asked me to get my CC company to call them to fix things and even gave me a reference # and special phone number to call. Tracfone insists no charges were made because the card was declined but I have 16 charges to 3 different credit cards.

Capital One says they are all authorized for payment. Tracfone insists the credit card companies do not know what they are talking about. When the credit company called the special number they kept passing us around from person to person. She finally gave up and said they will have to dispute the charges. My account credit card like others listed here also displayed an incorrect phone number. I talked with several representatives at Tracfone. Each gave a different answer. One said she could reverse the charges if the CC Co called the special number. Nobody did anything. The last agent said my account must be locked out and I cannot use any payment method for 24-48 hours. Now I have all these charges to fight for a service Tracfone says never happened.

In Oct 2016, I was reinstated to California SafeLink/Tracfone. I have researched this company in and out and I still have no working cell phone from Tracfone. They have sent 2 cell phones, 3 sims card. Please if you're looking for a cell phone provider under the free government program, do not go with Tracfone or its sister company NET10. SafeLink is also with Tracfone. All 3 companies are owned by America Movil out of Mexico owned by the richest man Carlos Slim. I am still waiting for them to give me a working cell phone. It has been 3 months. I think summer will come first. The government program for free cell phones would be a good program. But no one is really overseeing the providers to consumer. I would love to testify at a Congress hearing. I have keep dates, names and emails of my nightmare.

For low use cell phone it is a great bargain. You pay as you go... and if you can snag one of their triple minutes for life phone your refills are tripled every time you buy more airtime. Reliably easy to get a signal for calls when you need that.

Hi, I just wanted to know what phone calls I'm having minutes deducted for, like a regular phone bill would show you. That's what you might think the TracFone app does. Nope. It shows you the minutes from another day, and when you try to refresh, it doesn't show up-to-the-minute information. So I called them, after they emailed me, and the call was dropped. Then they called me back, and they wasted 10 minutes of my time to patronize me and act like I don't know how to use my phone, then they said there was a setting I could change, but I have to call from another phone to get the information. I told the lady that I rated that call 0 for helpfulness and I didn't want to talk to her any more, so I hung up. Immediately after that, she blew up my phone with a series of 65 texts all saying that she had resolved my issue now, so I had to click on them and used up my texts, probably. Rage much?

Despite having Home Depot scan the phone three times, TracFone continues to insist that it was not scanned so they won't activate it. I sent them the receipt, along with the serial number and bar code, but that still was not good enough. Now they want the serial number to show up on the receipt. So apparently, you buy their product and they never have to provide you with service. What a scam!

My phone died within three weeks. I was promised a new phone in two days and received an envelope to send the dead phone back. I will not get a new phone until they receive the dead one. Being without a phone for nearly two weeks. Never again.

TracFone has stolen my calling minutes 4x since I opened the account 1/22/17. The first 3x they reinstated the minutes and even gave me a complimentary additional minutes. However the store then again today, after reinstating 350 minutes on 2/12/17. I only make calls that last seconds and according to my phone account I had 999 minutes when I went to bed and then they stole them again this morning and refused to provide any help. This is illegal, who can I contact to get help and get the company to cease and desist with the theft and unfair and deceptive business practices?

TracFone told me 3 days before the service in my area was changing and my phone would no longer work. They said they would send me a new phone. In about 2 weeks I received my new phone that didn't work. I called the company and they said they would send me a new one as soon as I sent back the one I had. I have now been without cellphone service for 3 weeks and it looks like it will be at least another 10 days before I get my new and I hope working phone. The new phone they sent me was a piece of junk, it worked, but was not like the original phone I purchased from TracFone.

Received a notice per cell phone saying I had to update my flip phone (I only used for long distance). I call and was told they would send new phone. Never did, in the mean time my husband purchased two phone from HSN. You were suppose to be able to transfer your old number and add those minutes to your new number. Never happened. The old phone was to be up on 02/12/2017. I lost over 1200 minutes, and now the new phone which never worked has lost the 1250 minutes, data and texting that I received through hsn.

I now have two TracFone's that don't work with minute lost. I am trying to be patient in this endeavor with tracfone. I've been going around in circles since 06/14/2016, 08/05/2016,11/26/2016. I didn't complain because the old flip phone worked sometimes and every time I called their customer service I was told the minutes were transferred, which they were not and I am out of over almost two hundred dollars spent on minutes (for the old phone) and the cost of a new phone, plus minutes, data, text on the new tracfone.

I get a free government phone because I'M disabled. This phone from safe link totally sucks! Drops calls. Goes out 10 times a day! Don't get my texts! When I call them for help they don't help! They tell the same stuff I have already done! Don't recommend at all!!! They are not a good company at all!

I have had a TracFone for many years. I used to live in the mountains in NY where there was no coverage, but I wanted an emergency phone and their pay as you go plans worked fine. I used little time and the balance kept rolling over. I now lived in Raleigh and near my daughter and am using it a lot. And I can't seem to use up the 4000 minutes that I acquired earlier. Triple minutes on my smart Phone and now it's talk, text and data. Can't beat the price and the service is good.

I've been a TracFone customer for 3 years mostly because, being 21 and living on minimum wage, it is the only thing I can afford. Recently got my tax returns and wanted to spoil myself and get the renowned Samsung Galaxy S7, available for $629.99 on tracfone.com. I ordered it with 3-day shipping. It was shipped through FedEx, and since it was a pricey item It required a signature upon delivery. I work 9am-5:30pm Mon-Fri. FedEx made 3 attempts to deliver it which I was never home for unfortunately, but after the 3rd attempt I got a call from FedEx letting me know they'd hold the package for 1 week. The 3rd attempt was made on a Friday and I went out to the pickup location the next day, Saturday.

Upon arriving they told me Tracfone requested the item be returned, even though they already took my $650+. I contacted CS wondering what the hell was going on and when I'd get my money back. First of all, their phone service is terrible because 9/10 times it'll be someone who barely speaks English. Had to repeat my email to a woman 6 times before I hung up. Then spoke to online chat people who then told me it may take up to 30 business days to refund my money. Really? I told the guy I consider that theft, if they will not resend the phone or return my money within 4 days as is usual with online purchases. I asked how I could contact anyone with more authority but was given the ** CS number that only gives you foreign people.

Finally when my money was refunded about a week later, I attempted the transaction again, this time setting the shipping address to my parents' house so one of them could sign for it. Upon submitting the order, an error appeared saying my card was declined probably due to my bank, funds, or incorrect information. I called my bank, they said they did not block anything and that it was Tracfone rejecting my card. What the actual ** is going on here.

So I try calling Tracfone CS one more time and was on the phone for over an hour having the foreign guy enter all the same information I did in the same online form I filled out myself. He got the same error, told me to call my bank. I told him I already did, then we went through at least 3 more tries to make sure my information was correct. Each time he got the same error, I then asked to speak to someone with more authority who could maybe unblock my card. I was then transferred to someone with an even heavier accent and gave up. I have decided to just get the phone unlocked from Best Buy or elsewhere and put my sim card in it, hopefully that will work, who knows, but I am sick and tired of this ** service and if the sim card thing doesn't work out they will lose my service for good.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.
  • Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.
  • Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.
  • International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.
  • Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.
  • Best for TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones