Tracfone

TracFone Wireless
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.59/5

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

BOTTOM LINE

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

PROS

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

CONS

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Top TracFone Wireless Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using TracFone for 12 years now and it is just what I need. They have never failed me and I plan on using for a long time.

What is TracFone Wireless?

TracFone is a nationwide prepaid cell phone service. It lets customers keep their existing phones and numbers. Customers in the market for a new phone can browse the large inventory of name-brand phones, including LG, Samsung, Motorola and Apple. TracFone phones can be purchased at a discounted rate, and shipping is free.

Some plans can be set to refill automatically, while others require manual refills online or at a TracFone location. Customers can add extra features to their plans, such as global calling or additional minutes, text and data.

Other features that can be added to a basic plan include lost and stolen phone coverage and mobile protection. These services act as insurance in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

TracFone offers a wide selection of name brand phones, many of which are great for kids and seniors.

TracFone Wireless plans

TracFone Wireless offers a variety of plans at different price points. Some of the most popular plans are:

Length of planMinutes/textDataMonthly price*
    30 daysUnlimited3 GB$30
    30 daysUnlimited2 GB$25
    365 days1500/15001.5 GB$125
    60 days750/10001.0 GB$35
    30 days500/500500 MB$15

*At the time of publishing

Many plans are $5 to $10 cheaper than the listed price when you sign up for auto-refill. If you want to add global calling or more minutes and texts, you can purchase add-ons. TracFone Wireless also offers student discounts.

TracFone Wireless has plans for smartphones and basic phones and plans designed for people who talk and text more than they browse the internet or stream music. Basic phone plans range from $10 to $100 a month, and smartphone plans range from $15 to $125.

Customers can use their compatible phones with TracFone Wireless or purchase one through the company. Customers can purchase basic flip phones for $20, older Galaxy phones for $30 and iPhone 7s for $240 along with many other phone options at different price points.

How much does a one-year TracFone card cost?

The one-year smartphone plan costs $125 at the time of publishing. This is a one-time purchase that covers your wireless service for 365 days. The auto-refill price is $118 at the time of publishing. With this plan you receive:

• 1500 minutes
    • 1500 texts
    • 1.5 GB of data at 4G LTE Speed
    • No contracts

Customers can purchase refill cards at Walmart and Target, over the phone or at one of the 70,000 TracFone locations nationwide.

TracFone Wireless FAQ

What network is TracFone?
    TracFone Wireless uses a mobile virtual network operator that includes Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation and U.S. Cellular.
    Is there an unlimited plan for TracFone?
    Yes. The StraightTalk service offers 30 MB of data and unlimited calls and texts for $45 per month.
    Does TracFone Wireless charge for Wi-Fi?
    No. As long as your phone is active and has Wi-Fi capabilities, there is no charge.
    What is TracFone Wireless compatible with?
    TracFone Wireless will work on GSM Unlocked phones, AT&T-compatible phones, T-Mobile-compatible phones, Verizon-compatible phones and some CDMA Technology-compatible phones.
    What is TracFone’s coverage area?
    TracFone has extensive coverage on the East Coast of the county and central states, with less coverage in the mountain states and on the West Coast.

Is TracFone legit?

Yes. TracFone Wireless is a trusted and reliable cell phone provider that lets people stay connected without signing long-term contracts. Its affordable monthly plans offer basic features and are ideal for those who do not use their phones all the time.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: April 9, 2020

TracFone is not for everyone, but is ideal for those of us who do not stay on our phone constantly. With WiFi everywhere internet is almost always available. And for the price it can't be beat. I get the yearly plan and it gives me more minutes, data, and texts than I ever use. And they roll over.

Original review: April 7, 2020

Both my wife and I have used them for many years. I'm able to roll over unused minutes and sometimes my wife does have to buy more data, but their pricing on a one year plan for people who don't spend their entire life on the phone, is extremely affordable with a one year plan. We average less than $10/month for each line.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2020

More reasonable pricing than the other cell phone companies. I have my own I6S phone and pay for 1 Year service with 400 minutes plus for less than the others charge for a month. I presently have over 9000 minutes in my account which is more than I use in a year.

Original review: April 2, 2020

The phone selection is a little weak but the customer service is excellent. You really can't beat the price for what how much the phone is used. There are few dead spots if you travel a lot but other than that the service is fine and I have never had a problem with any of the phones I have had with them.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I couldn't rate customer service correctly because I haven't needed to use it- trouble free. I had ** touted, as a good deal for seniors but I'm playing less than half as much for a TracFone yearly plan and have plenty of service for my limited need to use a cell phone. Got a really good deal on the phone, too.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Wanted to replace my old iPhone, thought I'd try a Motorola from Tracfone Wireless. They sent the phone. The online sign in and activate wouldn't work, so I called... it seems that it was loaded, by TracFone, with the incorrect SIM card installed which was only discovered after 2 hours and three 'tech' people. They finally returned my phone # to the old phone and promised a replacement SIM card in 7-10 days. Very apologetic, very polite, hard to understand. I'll go with a real telecom in the future.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I had been happy for years with Tracfone. Mostly use it for texting. They removed the add-on feature that let you buy 1000 additional texts for $5....Now, if you use all your texts in your plan year, you must buy a monthly service plan that costs a minimum of $15 or $20 per month. This change was made in the middle of my current annual service term.. Believe me, texts go quickly, and I've used all 1500 texts four months into my annual term. Be very careful what you pay for with Tracfone. Hidden costs make this $100 phone now cost over $300 for the year..

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I signed up with Tracfone because a friend had it and liked the service. However, I've had nothing but problems. I signed up on January 11 and purchased a SIM card and 2 service plans. The agent said that my phone was compatible with the IMEI # I provided. I paid $36.00. When I inserted the SIM card, it was NOT compatible. Then I needed to spend another $57 to purchase a new phone and you could not purchase a new phone without purchasing another service plan. I tried to get the 2 service plans transferred to my phone, but they said they couldn't do it nor could they refund the $36.00. Unreal. Tracfone told me to cancel my service provider to port my phone number. I canceled and was without phone coverage for 5 whole days because Tracfone took that long to port my phone number.

When my number was finally ported 5 days later, I could NOT receive incoming calls. I had to use someone's phone to call Tracfone so that I could receive incoming calls. I spent a total of six hours over 4 days and I still could NOT receive incoming calls. When you call my phone it goes straight to voicemail and the call doesn't show up under recents. When I go to check my voicemail and put my pin number in, it says, "wrong pin!!!!" I've had the same phone number and pin for 21 years!!!! So currently I cannot receive incoming calls and I am so frustrated.

Yesterday I was on the phone with an agent for 1 and one-half hours. He had me reset my phone to factory settings, which I did and he tried calling me and it didn't work. He told me if I got disconnected he would call me back. We did get disconnected and he didn't call me back. So here I am with a phone but I still CANNOT receive incoming calls OR check my voicemail. When I called Tracfone about my pin, she said, "You need your old pin number to change it!!!" I am so frustrated. Please be aware of this company... I am definitely getting a new phone company. This review was written on January 25, 2021.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Tracfone is the first and only cell phone service I have ever had up to today. I have had it!! I have 4000 minutes but I am leaving. They have disconnected me 3 times. I give them a good cc #, they use it for a few months and then for some reason the computer goes back to an old cc#, they do not get paid and then without notice they disconnect me. No one speaks English. This AM they said their computer was not working and I was unable to get any customer service at all. I am tired of being an abused customer. I will lose my 4000 minutes but it is worth it. I wonder if because I am a low use customer that maybe they want me gone.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

My cell phone suddenly began to show another person's name on the recipient's caller ID. I called Tracfone's chat line, and after several minutes and rebooting the phone as suggested, the rep said I needed to talk to a "higher department" and she scheduled a callback for 9:00 pm tonight. As I suspected, the call never came. This same thing happened at least three times when I called on another issue several months ago. This is a serious issue. If I called someone during an emergency and they saw a name they did not recognize, they would probably not answer the call.

TracFone Wireless Company Information