Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.77/5

Tracfone sells cellphones and cellular service. It offers phones from LG, Apple, Samsung and Motorola as well as low-cost phones from TCL. Phone protection plans are also available. Tracfone’s plans don’t require contracts, and customers can refill their accounts manually or automatically. Tracfone lets customers use their existing phone to activate one of its plans.

Tracfone Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tracfone?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tracfone?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I have had the Tracfone plan for over 8 years with four different phones. My latest phone is an LG and it works great for me. I have had no problems with the service and the phone. My previous phone was a Samsung 5 and the other two were Tracfone flip and a Tracfone plain. The plan I use is the 90 days with 90 minutes talk, text and data. The talk, text and data keeps forwarding if you don't use them all and you keep buying a card for 90 days to renew the service. If you need more talk, text or data they have card which you can add to the plan. If your usage is limited this is a great plan. However, even if you exceed the cost to add data, text or talk is very inexpensive.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

For value and reliability Tracfone can't be beat, especially for seniors or young kids. When you pre-pay for one month - if you don't use all your minutes the money is transferred for up to 3 months. IE: for one month's service I pay $20 and I never use up my talk or text minutes so it only costs me $20 for a full 3 months. They have many types of plans. I have used them for 5 years with no real problems. They use Verizon poles so I can have service almost everywhere. The town I live in has some cell phone problems that I have not incurred with tracphone. Service is the only problem I have had - it is like all other companies that have answering companies not in the USA, but if I call again I can usually get the answers I need. For cost and usability I would give them an A.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

My husband and I have used Tracfone for about 11 years now. We've been quite satisfied with them. Customer support is a bit difficult sometimes if you need to contact them because most of the time you get someone with a thick accent and it's hard to understand them. However they are always helpful and solve whatever issue you might have. We have very few dropped calls other than when going down in a dip when driving in areas without great coverage on any carrier. My husband used to drive hours every day for his job. He had the Tracfone and a company phone through Verizon. The Tracfone actually had better coverage than Verizon did. It's definitely much cheaper than Verizon or any of them and they have some great plans. They also now have unlimited calls and texts. The lowest price deal gives you 1 gig a month of data which doesn't expire so builds up if you don't use it and goes up 1 gig in increments of 5 dollars each.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

As a disabled widowed Mother, I don't have a lot of money to go around for phone services. My landline is a must for business and family members. Friends sometimes too, although I don't have many. Also Dr. Contacts and ordering pet supplies. My daughter needs a cell phone first because of safety concerns, walking to & from school, sleepovers, and just for her to keep in touch with myself and her friends. Now I don't particularly like going out alone. Since my husband passed away, I just don't feel safe without a cell phone. So, I found TracFone to have had the first inexpensive $ 20.00 per month all the talk, text & data you want.

Now my bill is the least expensive plan and the Samsung phone that originally came with this offer is under $ 100.00. It offers flashlight, Google, Facebook and so many apps. You can take pictures and send to family and friends and emergency calls too. I am very satisfied and only pay $20.00 a month. I would recommend this phone to any senior or child under 12. I also enjoy the weather updates, and Youtube. Googled medical questions and word definitions keep you educated too. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

My husband and I currently have service with Verizon Wireless and I am just sick and tired of paying their fees for things we use very little. We have unlimited service with them for two lines are were conned into taking a couple of tablets from them with the assurance that we could drop the tablet lines in 6 months. About a year later we called to drop them and are now informed that we have to keep them for 2 years! These are about $50 tablets and of course we should have read the 10 page agreement before signing but as idiots do-we believed the salesman. So now we pay about $175 a month for just the two of us to use maybe 2 gb between us. We make and receive about 20 calls a month between us and the only texts we make are between the two of us and we are seniors so you can imagine that we don't go wild with selfies!

ANYWAY.... Due to this, I recently dug up my last phone which is a Galaxy Note 4 and decided to figure out if I could use it with TracFone and see if that system might work for us if we decide to abandon Verizon. I purchased a TracFone sim card at Walmart and easily replaced the one in my old Galaxy. Called the number on the card. The walk thru asked if I had service with them, No I said, it asked if I wanted to bring my own phone, Yes, I had to enter the IMEI number and I was asked if I wanted to purchase a smartphone package and I chose the least one because I am just testing things out. I think it is 30 days unlimited talk and text with 1 gb of data. It came to $22.48.

They then asked me to try to make a call to see if it worked. I did-it did work and that was that. It was working immediately and my cell number given immediately. I have emailed and texted just to make sure it works. I have also used the internet just to see if it work and it does. I will say that it seems slower but this could be my older phone or it could be because I only purchased a gig. The main thing is that it works fine. Most of our phone time is using wifi at home and I can still do that. In closing I will say that if I continue getting the service I am getting I will be dropping Verizon after 20 years as a customer and going to TracFone. If worse comes to worse and I dislike them later, there are other companies to try.

Original review: July 14, 2020

After being a Tracfone happy customer for years I had to buy a new phone after my two year old phone memory didn't work anymore. So I upgraded to a Motorola Moto G7 6.2" HD+ with 32GB of built-in memory that I bought 5/6/2020 thru HSN on sale for $99.99 including 1500 minutes. After a couple of weeks I could not make phone calls. I called Customer Service and after talking to about 7 or 8 persons during different days, waiting for a new SIM card, and losing all my data I was told I need to return the phone because it could not be fixed. When I asked if I needed to return it to HSN I was told it will be faster if I returned it to them (Tracfone) and that I will get a return label in an e-mail. That's when the FUN started! I never received a return label, instead after a week I got a FedEx envelope with instructions and I returned my $99.99 phone.

About two weeks later I received a Moto E6 with 16GB memory that is listed in their website for $39.99!!!! When I called to complain a manager told me among other excuses that WHEN YOU RETURN AN USED PHONE YOU CAN'T NOT GET THE SAME MODEL BACK EVEN IF IT STILL IS UNDER WARRANTY. Besides, she said, my model was not available, was out of stock. I insisted that I wanted at least one with the same amount of memory as the Moto G7 and she agreed to send me an XT1925. I decided to check Tracfone web page to see what model the XT was and guess what: The Moto G7 was advertised ON STOCK in the web page!!!! To make this story shorter: I managed to talk to somebody in the Corporate Office in Miami who I understood. Said I will be getting a Moto G7 within a week. Guess what did I get today: ANOTHER Moto E6!!!!

Reading some of the latest reviews here I can see that Tracfone is not the company it used to be. I wish I didn't have over 2,000 minutes paid for (not counting the 1,500 that came with the new phone) or I will be looking for another cell phone co. I will be calling the Miami Corporate Office tomorrow and I hope I will be able to update this review with better comments at some point.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I was with Tracfone for years and was perfectly content... until I tried to trade in my fliptop for a smartphone. After four days and at least ten hours on the phone with techies, they concluded the smartphone I'd bought was defective. But they couldn't transfer me back to my fliptop, allegedly because Tracfone had switched carriers after I bought it (a friend assures me that's bull). And when I tried to get compensation for the nearly 900 minutes I had left with two months to go, I got disconnected twice from the "billing department." Nor have they responded to a letter of complaint sent to company HQ two weeks ago. Needless to say, I'll never use or recommend Tracfone again.

Original review: July 7, 2020

My package was delivered to a wrong address. When I was trying to contact Tracfone using online chat, I was kicked between different departments. For each time, I have to repeat the reason I call, my phone number, and my email address. Finally, they set up a call back for me because the shipping department does not have online chat. During the callback, I have to wait for the next available agent. Then the agent tell me that the order was cancelled for ** reason. Sorry I could not understand the reasons because the guy has a very thick accent that I can barely understand. My first-time purchase from Tracfone, and definitely my last time. I don't believe that Tracfone can provide any quality service.

Original review: June 15, 2020

I used to have a Net10 Android back in 2012 or thereabouts. The $50 plan gave me 5Gb and after that, throttled to worse than 14.4 kbps dialup. Switched to Boost Mobile and also MetroPCS (now Metro by T-Mobile) and their $50 plans are truly unlimited... Go over a certain amount and you don't get cut down to unusable speeds. 2020... Needed a new phone because I had an awesome iPhone 7 on Metro by T-Mobile but was lost on a city bus. Was on their $50 plan and I went over 30 some odd GB and got a text regarding deprioritization but wasn't slowed to 1990s era dialup speed.

As I said, I lost the iPhone (that's another story). So I had to get a phone. I thought TracFone and its umbrella of companies would have improved on this since the FTC and FCC sued the [expletive deleted] out of them in 2015 or so. Not so. Same old tactics. I bought an LG Rebel 4 (re-specced LG K7 but in a worse way) and a $50 card. Screen breaks easily. My Samsung Galaxy A10e on Boost got dropped in the same way (off a nightstand screen down) and didn't shatter all over. But a $50 plan should be competitive with other prepaid providers. If Boost and Metro can offer really unlimited data with no throttling... Tracfone should too. Offering 25GB of "LTE data then 2G" which does not disclose what the data throughput will be but just a vague "2G"... That's not unlimited. Same sneaky tactics by TracFone. I can't even use the internet I paid for.

Switching to Metro by T-Mobile as soon as I get paid. I feel that if TracFone and its subsidiaries want to remain competitive with other prepaid carriers, ditch the silly throttle on their higher priced plans. TL;DR: stay away from TracFone and all its subsidiaries (Total Wireless, SIMple Mobile, Straight Talk, and even Walmart Family Mobile).

Original review: June 11, 2020

This is a total waste of money. It seems like a great deal at first, with the lower monthly payments. I was a loyal customer for about 5 years. But then the other day I started using the wifi hotspot and needed to add more data. My phone was working just fine, but I needed more data for the wifi. I added an extra $30, and immediately the phone quit working. I couldn't make or receive any calls or texts. I contacted TracFone about a dozen times, and nobody could get my phone to work. Not only that, but it didn't give me the extra data that I paid for, for the wifi.

I finally asked for my $30 back, but they said that it's "non-refundable" so I paid for nothing. And I can't afford to throw money away like that. It may as well have been $100 because I'm a senior on a very low fixed income, which is why I got this phone in the first place. They are making a lot of money off of their customers and providing nothing in the way of customer service or even phone service. Avoid this company like the corona virus.

Tracfone author review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team