Tracfone

TracFone Wireless
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.67/5

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

BOTTOM LINE

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

PROS

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

CONS

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Top TracFone Wireless Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using TracFone for 12 years now and it is just what I need. They have never failed me and I plan on using for a long time.

What is TracFone Wireless?

TracFone is a nationwide prepaid cell phone service. It lets customers keep their existing phones and numbers. Customers in the market for a new phone can browse the large inventory of name-brand phones, including LG, Samsung, Motorola and Apple. TracFone phones can be purchased at a discounted rate, and shipping is free.

Some plans can be set to refill automatically, while others require manual refills online or at a TracFone location. Customers can add extra features to their plans, such as global calling or additional minutes, text and data.

Other features that can be added to a basic plan include lost and stolen phone coverage and mobile protection. These services act as insurance in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

TracFone offers a wide selection of name brand phones, many of which are great for kids and seniors.

TracFone Wireless plans

TracFone Wireless offers a variety of plans at different price points. Some of the most popular plans are:

Length of planMinutes/textDataMonthly price*
    30 daysUnlimited3 GB$30
    30 daysUnlimited2 GB$25
    365 days1500/15001.5 GB$125
    60 days750/10001.0 GB$35
    30 days500/500500 MB$15

*At the time of publishing

Many plans are $5 to $10 cheaper than the listed price when you sign up for auto-refill. If you want to add global calling or more minutes and texts, you can purchase add-ons. TracFone Wireless also offers student discounts.

TracFone Wireless has plans for smartphones and basic phones and plans designed for people who talk and text more than they browse the internet or stream music. Basic phone plans range from $10 to $100 a month, and smartphone plans range from $15 to $125.

Customers can use their compatible phones with TracFone Wireless or purchase one through the company. Customers can purchase basic flip phones for $20, older Galaxy phones for $30 and iPhone 7s for $240 along with many other phone options at different price points.

How much does a one-year TracFone card cost?

The one-year smartphone plan costs $125 at the time of publishing. This is a one-time purchase that covers your wireless service for 365 days. The auto-refill price is $118 at the time of publishing. With this plan you receive:

• 1500 minutes
    • 1500 texts
    • 1.5 GB of data at 4G LTE Speed
    • No contracts

Customers can purchase refill cards at Walmart and Target, over the phone or at one of the 70,000 TracFone locations nationwide.

TracFone Wireless FAQ

What network is TracFone?
    TracFone Wireless uses a mobile virtual network operator that includes Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation and U.S. Cellular.
    Is there an unlimited plan for TracFone?
    Yes. The StraightTalk service offers 30 MB of data and unlimited calls and texts for $45 per month.
    Does TracFone Wireless charge for Wi-Fi?
    No. As long as your phone is active and has Wi-Fi capabilities, there is no charge.
    What is TracFone Wireless compatible with?
    TracFone Wireless will work on GSM Unlocked phones, AT&T-compatible phones, T-Mobile-compatible phones, Verizon-compatible phones and some CDMA Technology-compatible phones.
    What is TracFone’s coverage area?
    TracFone has extensive coverage on the East Coast of the county and central states, with less coverage in the mountain states and on the West Coast.

Is TracFone legit?

Yes. TracFone Wireless is a trusted and reliable cell phone provider that lets people stay connected without signing long-term contracts. Its affordable monthly plans offer basic features and are ideal for those who do not use their phones all the time.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I have had the Tracfone plan for over 8 years with four different phones. My latest phone is an LG and it works great for me. I have had no problems with the service and the phone. My previous phone was a Samsung 5 and the other two were Tracfone flip and a Tracfone plain. The plan I use is the 90 days with 90 minutes talk, text and data. The talk, text and data keeps forwarding if you don't use them all and you keep buying a card for 90 days to renew the service. If you need more talk, text or data they have card which you can add to the plan. If your usage is limited this is a great plan. However, even if you exceed the cost to add data, text or talk is very inexpensive.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I discovered Tracfone about two years ago at the recommendation of my partner. They have pre-paid plans that last for 365 days and when you renew your subscription they will transfer any data/minutes/texts you have remaining on your balance. I bought a phone on HSN (Home Shopping Network) that came with the Tracfone package of 1500 minutes, 1500 texts and 1.5 G data for $79.95 plus free shipping. I was able to easily transfer my telephone number via their customer service, actually I did it all on the application on the phone and did not have to call them to help me. The call quality is exceptional and I have only had one call dropped and that was because I was going through a tunnel on the highway. I highly recommend Tracfone!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

For value and reliability Tracfone can't be beat, especially for seniors or young kids. When you pre-pay for one month - if you don't use all your minutes the money is transferred for up to 3 months. IE: for one month's service I pay $20 and I never use up my talk or text minutes so it only costs me $20 for a full 3 months. They have many types of plans. I have used them for 5 years with no real problems. They use Verizon poles so I can have service almost everywhere. The town I live in has some cell phone problems that I have not incurred with tracphone. Service is the only problem I have had - it is like all other companies that have answering companies not in the USA, but if I call again I can usually get the answers I need. For cost and usability I would give them an A.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

My husband and I have used Tracfone for about 11 years now. We've been quite satisfied with them. Customer support is a bit difficult sometimes if you need to contact them because most of the time you get someone with a thick accent and it's hard to understand them. However they are always helpful and solve whatever issue you might have. We have very few dropped calls other than when going down in a dip when driving in areas without great coverage on any carrier. My husband used to drive hours every day for his job. He had the Tracfone and a company phone through Verizon. The Tracfone actually had better coverage than Verizon did. It's definitely much cheaper than Verizon or any of them and they have some great plans. They also now have unlimited calls and texts. The lowest price deal gives you 1 gig a month of data which doesn't expire so builds up if you don't use it and goes up 1 gig in increments of 5 dollars each.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

As a disabled widowed Mother, I don't have a lot of money to go around for phone services. My landline is a must for business and family members. Friends sometimes too, although I don't have many. Also Dr. Contacts and ordering pet supplies. My daughter needs a cell phone first because of safety concerns, walking to & from school, sleepovers, and just for her to keep in touch with myself and her friends. Now I don't particularly like going out alone. Since my husband passed away, I just don't feel safe without a cell phone. So, I found TracFone to have had the first inexpensive $ 20.00 per month all the talk, text & data you want.

Now my bill is the least expensive plan and the Samsung phone that originally came with this offer is under $ 100.00. It offers flashlight, Google, Facebook and so many apps. You can take pictures and send to family and friends and emergency calls too. I am very satisfied and only pay $20.00 a month. I would recommend this phone to any senior or child under 12. I also enjoy the weather updates, and Youtube. Googled medical questions and word definitions keep you educated too. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Not sure why this company advertises 'rollover minutes' when they are useless (well, to me anyway.) Tello is no longer pay-as-you-go, so I thought I'd check TracFone out. I figured I'd pay for the lowest plan ($15 for 500 min/text/data). I hardly use my phone at all, so I thought I'd pay for the plan and refill when I needed to. Nope, you have to purchase an air card every 30/60/90 days (whichever one you chose) in my case 30 days, which makes it a monthly plan. It would take me around 5 months to use the amount of service on the $15 card, which means I just rack up minutes I don't use and they expire in 6 months. What a pointless waste. I'd say this service is NOT for users with very limited needs.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

My account totals are inaccurate, balance states 0, have over one thousand minutes. Currently in dispute, however unable to use phone. So, I tried to purchase a Talk Add on Card. Currently the talk add-on card is only available on the Tracfone website in the add-on section. However it is not. My phone is in limbo. Requested customer service return a call after 20 min on hold. Sent a link to 611. My customer service experience is like a fireman trying to put out a fire by peeing on it. The analogy is spot on, they don't have a one half a star because they are not dissatisfied till you are dissatisfied! I'm dissatisfied!!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

They have website that has byop (bring your own phone). I need it through food stamps Florida access and they don't send free Tracfone to anyone except medicare and native Americans. Byop costs $59.00 to unlock phone from MetroPCS. It's not free. Or purchase a tracfone! It's not free. The government needs to drop Safelink tracfone and create a new nonprofit service provider. Ban tracfone for false advertising. Not free! From Florida Access!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

In July, I ordered a new phone for my dad through TracFone's website. The chat rep assured me that everything would transfer from his old phone to the new-to-him iPhone. When I went to set up the new phone, I had to call in to their customer service line. The person there told me that the number would NOT transfer and that his contacts also wouldn't transfer. I was on the phone for at least an hour and finally got a supervisor who was able to transfer the number to the new phone. In addition, the directions for installing the new SIM card were confusing and not accurate.

THEN, yesterday MY older TracFone locked up and I was unable to unlock it (it was asking for a Google account login). I was on the line with customer "service" for a half hour. The person kept asking the same questions over and over and clearly did not understand what I was telling him. Eventually, he transferred me to the "unlock department." On hold again. The person who answered informed me that her department was for unlocking a phone so it could be used with a different carrier! I asked for a supervisor who was able to tell me how to do a factory reset on my phone so it would work. I lost all of my contacts and texts, by the way.

The service itself is not good. It often takes three or four tries to make a call. No error or anything (system busy, etc.), just nothing. Lots of dropped calls. Texts can sometimes take up to a half hour to come through (confirmation codes from websites, for example). I live in a rural area with not-good coverage and a cell phone is useful only for texting or when traveling. TracFone is really one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with when it comes to customer service and having really ill-trained and incompetent people providing support to their customers.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

TracFone's shipping department does not follow instructions. I have request new SIM cards on four occasions. I provided the name of my agency and the address. But before shipping, they look at an address database and substitute the information in the database. The packages are now undeliverable. When confronted with the problem, their response is "we are following procedure." But the procedure is not working. "We are following procedure."

TracFone Wireless Company Information