TracFone
1.76/5
Based on 267 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

TracFone Reviews

2208 TracFone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I ended up trying to transfer a phone #, that I was charged for to 'restart' the phone and lose all my minutes, etc. 3 days later I ended up moving to another cell carrier because TracFone reps told me that I would have the same plan on a new phone as the one it was with. They lied. It was with fewer benefits. I also didn't get a refund for any of the minutes and the month I had paid for. So figure I lost about $80. Sorry not worth the hassle or being lied to either.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

TracFone is offering 1 year service for $125 or $118.25 for agreeing to set-up auto-fill. I selected the auto-fill option and a new screen appeared with the $118.25 amount as expected. I proceeded providing usual billing information and the transaction completed with the statement that auto-fill was established. A few days later I checked my CC posting and noticed it was higher than I expected. I accessed my TracFone account and displayed the billing details which showed that I had paid the usual price of $125 instead of the promotional price of $118.25 but auto-refill was set-up.

I was told by several customer service people that the promotional price is only offered once you have auto-refill established and they claim that I added the time before I subscribed to auto-fill. I tried to explain to a chat rep and a phone rep and their supervisors that once I selected the promotional offer I had no control over the order of each step. Their claim is that I first added time and then applied for the auto-fill, which is incorrect. They refused to discuss it further and would not look into the matter of how the promotional steps were programmed, placing the issue squarely on my actions. This is either a process issue or a bait and switch. My impression is that customer service has no intention of issuing credits for any reason.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I had been using TracFone cell phone service for months and everything was fine but then one day after I had just renewed my service for another 30 days with 1 GB of data I couldn't get on the Internet. I checked my balances online and my data balance showed as -54603 MB. I used their online chat service and also called their customer service line but no one could tell me how this had happened and how I could have negative data, especially that much! On a prepaid phone plan where each GB of data costs $10, it makes absolutely no sense. I have wifi most of the time and so don't even use excessive amounts of data. This company is a scam and their employees not being able to explain how this happened is even more frustrating. At $10 for every GB of data I would have to pay $540 just to get my balance back to 0!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

After dealing with major medical issues for several years, I finally reached a point where I needed the "free cell phone service" funded by the government. I would be very grateful for such a service if I actually received it. Every single month since activating this service, either my calling ability or internet access stops working only a few days into the month. I call in and of course they say I have reached my limits. I rarely even use this phone. No one, other than my doctors and such, even has this number.

Every time I call customer service I am told that I can buy more service. However, I cannot even get a printout of my calls so I can verify that I am actually using as much as they say. I am told that their system is not set up that way. So they can say that you use whatever they want to say, but they don't have to document it? No one at the customer service center seems interested in helping with anything UNLESS you say that you want to go ahead and pay for more service. Then their tone changes right away.

The FCC website gives the Lifeline service requirements (as of 12/01/2017---750 minutes of talk time and 1GB mobile data) but the Safelink reps say they only provide 350 minutes and 500MB data. They freely admit that they only provide half the service required... but you can buy more service if you need it. Isn't this government fraud? Their "defense" is that when you activate their phone, you automatically agree to the terms of service, which is the lower amounts of service provided. TracFone should be removed from the government program immediately. They provide only half the mandated service. I wonder if they only bill the government half the amount. I think not. They are using the Lifeline Program so they can get people to reload 10 or 15 dollars at a time to keep the phone on. Yes, I have written complaints to the FCC as well... but the public, especially vulnerable low income groups, need to be aware of TracFone's game.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

This company's service is unacceptably poor. Cust. svc. reps very difficult to understand due to foreign dialect. It seemed as though they couldn't understand my simply stated problem as any "corrective" data they input to solve the problem made the problem worst - to the point of account numbers being entered wrong, thus my attempts to access my account online gave me 'no account' messages - so I couldn't access my account to add minutes (I'd used most of 60 minutes on calls to them!).

I'd been hung up on during my explanations, repeatedly quoted back wrong issues, couldn't access my account online to add more minutes and the final straw today was receiving a new message giving me the bank account balance and a partial number of an unknown-to-me person! An earlier message I'd received was directed to "David" - not my name or gender or addressing my issue! This was a new TracFone and first time used! It took 6 days for it to be activated! I talked to 3 different service reps with very poor English over 3 days, last rep yesterday hung up on my call, poor website 'help' access and inability to access my account, wasting minutes on calls to their service desk and money wasted on purchasing 120 more un-refundable minutes I couldn't add due to inability to access my account (that apparently didn't exist although I was able to call them)... Unbelievable! This TracFone has become trash.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I stupidly bought one of these TracFone LG's from Walmart to use as a backup phone. They assigned me a number that was previously used by some idiot who had bill collectors chasing him down. The number rang all hours of the day and night with collections agencies looking for "Steve". They did not believe me when I said this wasn't his number anymore so the calls increased. Called TracFone and complained. They said they could assign me a new number "but we can't guarantee it won't happen again as a lot of people use prepaid phones to avoid collection agencies." So, I shut down service, threw the phone out and "Susie from Texas" with her heavy Indian accent said I would have to forfeit the 400 minutes and "chalk this up to a bad experience." Lousy customer service and terrible company policies assigning numbers that were only abandoned a month earlier.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I received my new TracFone on-line July 23rd from Walmart.com after several frustrating calls to TracFone attempting to verify it would work in my ZIP Code area. I was finally assured it would work. After several attempts and a failed callback on TracFone's part I was told service was initiated. I paid 45 dollars for initial minutes but my on-line account said I had $0.00 in it. Nearly every phone call I made to family resulted in the people on the other end saying they couldn't hear or understand me. Last week, I was told I was being transferred to another "dept" for assistance and after 10 minutes I was disconnected.

Today, when I tried again, I was again "transferred" and after 15 minutes of dead air time I didn't know if I was still connected or not. So, I hung up and went to ATT to switch back to ATT for prepaid cell minutes. They are 25 cents/min while TracFone is 20 cents/minutes, but what good is a nickel if people can't understand you due to severe digital pixelating? TracFone customer "service" has a practice of passing you off to another department by asking you to call a different number.

I get the impression if a problem is not immediately solvable, they want you to call back, hoping someone else in Customer Service will answer the phone. Terrible public relations. For a brand new customer I felt I should be entitled to a refund of my prepaid minutes. But they said I should have asked for a refund BEFORE I terminated the service. The Cust. Rep. did admit that if I had done that I would not have been able to transfer my cell number back to ATT. Stay away from TracFone!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am planning a trip and wanted to add minutes to my TracFone. I purchased the phone card and SIM kit. I spent over 2 hours trying to follow the directions in the SIM kit. I finally called the company and talked to a robot for quite awhile and he told me that my SIM number belonged to another phone. Later that day I went to the local Target store and the technician spent another hour trying to do the same thing, with no luck!

Today I returned to the store and another technician spent another 2 hours trying to upgrade with a new card that I purchased today. She had no luck and finally gave up in disgust, and so I spent another $36 to buy a different cell phone. Altogether I spent $40 on trying to add time to my TracFone. Target will not refund my money, saying it is not their problem. The persons we spoke with could not understand us and we could not understand them. It seemed to us that they were deliberately trying to sabotage what we were trying to do. The technicians said that they would never try to sell another TracFone. Maybe Target should not carry them either.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I purchased a TracFone for my son for college along with $150 worth of minutes. The minutes were never credited to my account in spite of my having followed the instructions given me instructions to a "T". I spent 7 HOURS! over several days trying to resolve the problem on the phone with having experienced numerous hangups, customer service people with poor English skills, and several complete runarounds, without a modicum of an attempt to provide me any information on solving my problem. This company is by far the worst I have ever dealt with. The last individual I spoke with promised to have a supervisor contact me. That promise was made over a year ago and I concluded a long time ago that this company is not reputable and has no interest in solving customer service complaints or in providing a reliable service. I have recommended to all my friends not to deal with this company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

It is day 20 for trying to resolve a problem. Every phone call will ask your problem and then not be able to help and will transfer you. The transfer will not answer. You waste 30 minutes of data each call. We have made several calls a day. The operators are being timed so they transfer you. Day 17 spoke with 2 managers, one just hung up at 31 minutes in. The other claimed to refund us and transfer us to “Refund Dept” for details, that person said she lied to us. No one will help us. Day 20 I am out $120 for new smartphone that they fried the SIM card too for NO reason. We have proof we received it, yet they claimed it was stolen. BY WHO? They can’t tell. What can we do? Help please.

Updated on 08/10/2018: We ordered from Walmart.com and have proof of order sales and delivery. We can't get past customer service to get info on what to do. They blamed Walmart.com for saying it wasn't delivered. On day 18 someone said we needed to return it, but gave no address. Since we didn't pay them, we paid Walmart.com we took it back there. They said no returns after 15 days knowing he has had problems with the phone and told him it was TracFone's problem. Now Walmart says they will fire my son if he gets mad and argues with them. NO ONE will take responsibility. We need help please.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

BEWARE!!! TracFone shut down my service even though I had LOTS of minutes on my existing contract. I received no notification of this action and only discovered it when I went to use the phone. I then spent countless hours on the phone trying to get assistance from their customer service staff. I was repeatedly told I would receive a replacement phone in 3-5 days. I went over a month without a phone. No one could ever explain why my service was disconnected On my old phone, I had data, calling, and text within whatever amount I purchased.

I now find the replacement phone has only calling. I have been trying to get an answer from TracFone as to what happened to my text and data but keep getting the runaround…again. I am totally frustrated with this company. I do not use the phone a lot which is why I went with this product in the first place but even with minimal usage, it’s just not worth the aggravation you encounter if you do have a problem. Their customer service is the WORST on the planet!! BEWARE!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Customer Service is a must for any company selling online! Tracfone needs a complete overhaul in all venues. No direct email for any reason causes so much wasted time as their guidance with their phone prompts leads us into Never, Never Land! Understaffed with young foreigners trying to do the best they can with broken English and a prepared guide to aggravate the most tolerant of us mere mortals. Lost order numbers and phones that only be activated after a 45 min. session with their Ace, and removing battery, SIM card, and other moves which defy the Laws of Physics! I personally bought a phone online with usual misgivings, I must admit my shopping Ego has taken a major plummet into the abyss! Please correct this nonsense Tracfone, or put the cat out and lock the doors!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I placed an order for a new phone from their website on Monday. I was promised the item would arrive by Friday. Fifty three hours after I placed my order, it finally shipped. I will now be receiving my phone on Monday. After TWO HOURS on the phone, I have been hung up three times while being "transferred" to a supervisor and they were completely unable to find my order despite me giving them the exact order number provided in the emails.

When I finally spoke to a supervisor they offered me 5 days of extended service on my phone. Needless to say, this level of incompetence astounds me in today's market. I required that phone this weekend for my daughter. Otherwise, I would have ordered from a much more respectable and reliable site like Amazon or eBay.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Before attempting to switch to Tracfone I called customer service to see if it was possible to port my existing phone # over to the Tracfone phone and service plan. I also asked if my current StraightTalk service needed to be active when I do this. I was told no it did not need to be active. I repeated the question just to be sure, I got the same reply. When my new phone arrived a few days later and upon trying to switch my existing phone # over to the new phone I found that the old StraightTalk device had to be live for it to work. So customer service lied to me and I had to reinstate my StraightTalk service to be able to switch my # to the new phone. A waste of both time and money, why don't these offshore service centers know how these things are supposed to work?

Original review: July 31, 2018

Purchased phone. Got number with it. Number not given to anyone. Day later got calls from solicitors and health insurance companies. Constant calls. Annoying. Their response was to I must have given the number out. (which of course cost me minutes). Cannot wait to afford another phone. RUN TO ANOTHER COMPANY.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The sim card they send is for an old phone. The customer support is not able to understand simple English. The problem is that they need to be able to port an old number to the new phone. However, they keep activating the card even though activating the card prior to porting the number renders the card useless. I am on my 4th card and they just cannot get it right. The customer support is miserable and cannot do simple things relative to local number portability. Also, when you try to write a review they refuse to publish it. DO NOT TRUST reviews from TracFone, they are "moderated" to include only positive reviews. What a waste of time and money.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I purchased a flip phone for my 90 year old aunt June 1, 2015. The phone number was recycled and she received about 50 junk texts per day. Worked with TracFone and got a new number. Service seemed fine. Aunt complained that the phone was too complicated. I showed her how to use it again and again. I tried to use the phone at her apartment in Seattle. Phone said "No network, emergency calls only." I called the phone from my cell. Got voice mail in Spanish. I am English. Took the phone home to get on the website and see if something was wrong. TracFone website said I had a bad login or password. Hit recover password and got message that the system was down. Called customer service. They said they would fix the voicemail issue, but could not get me into the website... password problem. Tried phone again. Worked perfectly sending and receiving.

Took phone back to my aunt. It called out and received calls no problem. Ten minutes later she could not call out and when I called in I got Spanish voicemail. Called customer service. They said I needed to get a 4G phone. I have been using cell phones since 1984... I am an EE. I help develop telecom devices... that was pure BS. TracFone is on the T-Mobile network and although T-Mobile seems good, the TracFone interface is very inconsistent and TracFone service is high on polite, but low on knowledge. If you get similar results to what I have experienced, let the world know. TracFone is a marvelous marketing machine, but the system works poorly. Problem with system interface... not T-Mobile backbone.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I've been up Walmart Family Mobile member for over 5 years and ever since TracFone is taking over I've had nothing but problems with them. Everything from timeliness of billing to not standing behind product warranties has made me spend many hours trying to resolve problems with them. Their help desk is abysmal and nobody speaks English. Their phone system is always breaking up and you constantly get disconnected.

I had an issue with my LG Fiesta phone USB cable and they refuse to stand behind the warranty which is their agreement with Walmart Family Mobile and LG Electronics consumers. They have out and out lied to both myself and two representatives of the LG company as far as how they're going to stand behind the warranty. I wouldn't recommend their service to anybody. By the way I like my Fiesta phone and the only problem is is the USB cable is defective and still under 12 month warranty. I've always had good relations with Walmart Family Mobile up until the time TracFone to get over.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I waited until today to write this review, the first review I've ever written because yesterday I was too upset to attempt this. I've been a TracFone customer for over ten years and never had a problem. That is until I was forced to upgrade because my phone was too old. On October 24 2017 I purchased a new phone with a year's service and 1200 minutes and I also transferred over 1700 minutes from my old phone. My new phone stopped working June 2, 2018. To make a long story short, I ended up with (1) a reconditioned phone, (2) lost all my minutes (3) lost 90 + days of service. This company's provides no domestic customer service, clearly their call center is located in a foreign country. Do yourself a favor and go to any other company and avoid TracFone. This has been the worst experience we've ever had with a company so we decided to get rid of all our TracFones and go with another company.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Every 90 days, I buy a card and add minutes to the phone. I only use it occasionally and keep with me for emergency, etc. To date, I have over 700 mins. I got a notice on the screen saying I had 10 days left till expiration so went and got a card. For some reason, I could not add the minutes and received the message that my SIM card had expired. I don't even recall ever having one of those. The only thing I can think of is last year, my TracFone got moisture inside and the phone died on me so had to buy another one, which I did.

I remember using the same number and transferred the minutes I had to this phone and kept the same number. I am now told that a SIM card will be sent to me and I should get it within 5-6 days at which time I will have to call Tech Support and they will set it up for me. I was told that I might lose my minutes. Today, I decided to try to enter the Pin number indirectly on the cell phone and once done, the screen became black and when it went back on, the minutes I had were still there but the 60 mins. that should have been added didn't. So will assume I will have to go out and buy another card. Additionally, the model (LG 328BG) that I have is no longer being sold so perhaps that is another reason why I had the problem.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Got kicked off SafeLink first, even after snail mailing to them paper proof my family and I are still on assistance! Then, these arrogant liars sold me a "plan" for my new LG Rebel which they refuse to activate voice service for. Their so-called "Customer Support" is a SICK JOKE which features ** who DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH but simply PARROT REPEAT certain phonetic responses from cue-cards. Their "online chat" only works with telephone web browsers by their design to prevent customers from printing the sessions.

After buying 2 months of service from these thieves, they again cut me off. I foolishly bought another 2 month Plan, but now they refuse to turn the voice service on at all!!! One of their thieves even advised me to dial *22890 to activate the SIM card, which I then was informed by another support rep will destroy the sim card! This thief then gloatingly offered false apologies and as soon as I demanded a refund, signed off the chat session. I intend to try getting this filth to vomit more of their hate and malice into one more chat session if I can find a means of capturing, so I can show the world what kinds of criminal scum, from top to bottom (if they have one)! INFEST TRAC!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have been with TracFone for years. My phone broke, they sent me a return envelope to send my phone FedEx back to them. Told me it would be two days after they got the phone to send me a new one. It has been a week since I mailed back their phone. I spoke to 4 different people today, the first 3 said they had no record of my cell # nor my phone, the 4th person said they did have record of receiving it but the new one might not go out until the 27th. He said he would connect me to shipping.

ALL 4 people had told me they were forwarding my call to someone else and ALL 4 hung up on me after I literally begged them not to hang up on me. So rude and unprofessional. I have hundreds of minutes and about a year left to go with them and I do not know what to do. This has taken almost an hour of my time and I have gotten nowhere. No wonder they get so few stars. Will be looking for new service for sure. I have not been this frustrated with any company in years!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have never owned a "real" cell phone. I bought my TracFone at Walgreens years ago for $4.99 just to keep in the console of my truck for emergency purposes. I do not want to be constantly connected by phone to the world. This phone has served me well. It works great, and it came with the feature of doubling the minutes that are purchased. I had to use the service department for the first time this morning, and they solved my problem within 5 minutes. I had purchased a plan last night for 200 minutes, which meant that I should have received 400 minutes on my phone with the double the minutes plan. When the minutes appeared on my phone, I had been credited with only 200 minutes. It was too late for me to call the customer service department last night. I called this morning, and the nice young lady on the phone put the other 200 minutes on my phone within 5 minutes. You can't ask for better customer service than that.

Original review: July 18, 2018

In preparation of an upcoming temporary move, Verizon could not port my landline due to the distance and exchange. My only option was to port it to a mobile phone carrier. In the process of porting the landline to TRACFONE, I asked to speak to a representative in the USA as I cannot understand many of the other call center representatives. I was polite and respectful in my request. After three calls I ended up again with a representative in the Philippines who quickly disconnected my existing cell number and added a new cell number. He refused to tell me what the new number was.

When I told him my objective was to port a landline and asked to speak to a supervisor, he erased my entire file with all of my data. It has now been six days since I attempted to port the number. I have spoken to 8 different representatives in 3 different countries, and have 6 ticket numbers. At this time, my landline has been disconnected also, so I have in essence lost two of my contact phone lines. Six days ago I wrote to the Corporate office in Miami Florida. No one has contacted me as of today...but since my lines are gone, the only way to communicate with me is via US mail. I was a customer of TRACFONE for 9 years. If you are considering them as a vendor and reside in the USA, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Purchased Tracfone and minutes. Activated so I thought it never worked. Then I went around and around with customer service. They made me complete 20 steps over and over and transferring me to ever more rude people and disconnecting me. So then I go to chat. That was worse. Lady you should return the phone to store. I have been calling and chatting since June 18. I just had another unproductive chat about why there is no connection. She says, "Sorry. I don't know. Anything else I can help you with." Yeah you could make this phone work or credit me.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Bought a LG Rebel 3 TracFone from HSN. Started the old to new transfer process and got to where my old phone shut down service but the new phone did not pick up service. Instead I got an "Invalid SIM Card " note and the new phone and I cannot connect to phone service. Now both phones are useless. I called TracFone "Customer Service" and they ran me through procedures of removing/reinserting the SIM card 3 times and agreed to send me a new SIM card if I pay $10 for expedited shipping for 3 day delivery!

They were not able to reestablish my service on my old phone in the meantime and I do not know if I will lose my purchased minutes and data if/when a new card arrives. HSN could do nothing other than accept a return of the phone. They could not say if I would lose my accrued time and data. And they no longer have the Rebel 3 so all they could do is give me a credit. All in all this transaction with TracFone and HSN has sucked. This is my 3rd and last TracFone and HSN purchase.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I have been with Tracfone for 15 years with no regrets until my last two smart plan cards. The cards stated 200 minutes, 500 text & 500 MB data, I only received 200 of each. Two Tracfone customer service reps said 200 was correct! I could not get them to understand that I was short 300 MB and 300 text. How hard can it be? I think I have been a customer long enough. I have very much enjoyed no contract but will not tolerate being ripped off.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I purchased a 400 minute plan which was suppose to double minutes. The customer service person said I purchased a 200 minute plan that was doubled. The site is misleading stating 400 minute card was what I was purchasing, if it was the case I was purchasing a 200 minute card it should clearly state that I am purchasing a 200 minute card not a 400 minute card and the picture beside my purchase showed a 400 minute card. This is so misleading. Totally wrong, customer service was no help. I will not be doing business with TracFone after my time runs out.

Original review: July 12, 2018

While they boast they have no contract requirements, they fail to tell you they have virtually no customer service. Absolutely deplorable! Placed on hold for 82 minutes! Their phones are totally junk and are set up to frustrate the operator more than assist. I would guess that any other provider would beat their service by three stars. Avoid the frustration and pay a little more upfront for a real service provider.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Called in a dozen times for the software updates, had the technical support take me to a manager who didn’t know what the ** she was talking about and this phone was paid for service for one year and still doesn’t work!

Not sure about TracFone?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Phones for you.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

TracFone Company Information

TracFone
    www.tracfone.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business