TracFone

TracFone Reviews

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

2367 TracFone Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 30, 2019

After paying a lot of money to Verizon for a dozen or more years, I decided to try TracFone with my Motorola Play Z Droid, a CDMA phone which can only use Verizon's cell towers. My coverage with TracFone has been identical to my being with Verizon because my CDMA phone uses the same Verizon towers. After a few weeks using TracFone, I switched my wife's Motorola Moto G6 (also CDMA) from Verizon to TracFone with the same great outcome. Our total monthly cost is less than one-third of what it had been. BTW, neither of us is a heavy data user. We each use less than .5G per month.

While I strongly endorse TracFone's cell service using CDMA devices and necessarily Verizon towers, I have no basis for evaluating using GSM devices and their use of non-Verizon towers. I would give TracFone 5 stars, but their chat and phone support need some improvement. Some of their reps are very hard to understand and need to learn to express themselves more clearly.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have had Verizon for years. When I found myself in the market for new cell phone, I decided to look outside the box. Wow, I am so glad I did! I bought my own phone, found a bargain on Moto G5plus Gold that I love. I tried TracFone for a month (no contract), and was so happy with it that I bought the 1 year plan. A one time payment on my phone and then a one time payment on my service for the year. I'm done, no monthly payments, yay :). When you do the math and you realize this saves SO much money. And I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything - except the high monthly bill that I never understood. The customer service, both online and by phone, is great. The reception when talking on the phone is exceptional. Texting, etc... all works perfect.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I had just one problem about a year where I could not get into my online account, but I called for help and it was cleared up. Right now I just buy some cards for 90 days at a time and key in the code to add it to my account. This seems to be the best value for my phone dollar.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I’ve had Tracfone for 20+ years and continue to love them. I don’t want all that other stuff, no smartphone and cameras, and such. Just a good old handy cell phone... and they deliver. I would like a QWERTY keypad, yet I’m not trading this phone for one that has camera, internet, games... Let me have my phone and text and I’m a happy camper. I especially like prepaying and not having to pay a monthly charge when my usage varies greatly from month to month.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have never owned a "real" cell phone. I bought my TracFone at Walgreens years ago for $4.99 just to keep in the console of my truck for emergency purposes. I do not want to be constantly connected by phone to the world. This phone has served me well. It works great, and it came with the feature of doubling the minutes that are purchased. I had to use the service department for the first time this morning, and they solved my problem within 5 minutes. I had purchased a plan last night for 200 minutes, which meant that I should have received 400 minutes on my phone with the double the minutes plan. When the minutes appeared on my phone, I had been credited with only 200 minutes. It was too late for me to call the customer service department last night. I called this morning, and the nice young lady on the phone put the other 200 minutes on my phone within 5 minutes. You can't ask for better customer service than that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: July 11, 2019

I have had TracFone for many years and it's been generally 'OK'. About a month ago I got a new LG Rebel android phone which was ok for a couple weeks, then it started to put a green box around anything I tap on, then when that comes up there is another green box I have to tap on twice more to access. I called TracFone and they said it's built in and can't change it. It's a major pain to do that tapping and often it takes a few tries to get where I want to go. Also, the computer voice is quite garbled. I cannot recommend TracFone at this time.

Original review: July 10, 2019

This is the hardest phone I ever had. Very difficult to navigate. By the time I get it right, it will be time to buy a new phone. Paid 60 bucks for it. Took a week to get and a day to activate. I would love to talk to someone NOT from India named Chuck. Can't understand them half the time and have to hang up and call back to get someone I can understand. Whole experience was stressful.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I had a Samsung Galaxy TracFone, I bought from HSN. I loved the phone, I was told I had to upgrade because of network changes, TracFone said they would send me a replacement. I had already bought the $125 plan for my Samsung from TracFone on 4/01/2019. They sent me a recondition TCL LX. I was not happy with it, It wouldn't hold the charge, picture taking was terrible. Called TracFone, they sent me an envelope to send the phone back. This I did, and received another TCL LX. I called to have it activated, They couldn't find my account. This took place on 6/23/2019. They said they will set me up with a new account, and give me a new phone number, which I didn't want.

Since they deleted my account, I had no min, text, or data...after numerous calls and rude customer service, they gave me 488, 488, 488, I am so furious. I don't know who to complain to..I actually believe the agents deleted my account. How can a company be so rude to their customers. They took my money and deleted my account. And all the agents will tell you the same thing because they are reading from a sheet of instructions in front of them. When my time runs out no more TracFone for me....so BEWARE. My 125.00 was plus tax came to $140.00 and was authorize by TracFone on 3/26/2019 at 10:41 AM. But they lost my account.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I was told recently that the older LG phone I had would not be compatible with the newer 4-5G speeds. I order two, new Samsung (older styles) phones. One came in defective. I called and spent about 4 hours on the phone trying to explain my problem. I was told to send the phone back in a 'prepaid' envelope they would send me. Received it the next week, return the defective new phone. I, about a week or so later got a replacement phone only to find out that it was a refurbished unit with a 90 day limited warranty. I call them to request a credit for the difference in a new phone and the refurbished one I received. Kept getting 'Escalated', (their term) to another customer service rep. I did not get any satisfaction regarding a credit, etc. but was told to send the refurbished unit back and they would send me a new phone. I suggested their website indicated they did not have any new phones of that model.

Now, the past week or so I've spent about 10-12 hours on the phone with them trying to get this problem resolved. Sorriest customer service of any company, phone, power, etc., I've ever had the misfortune to do business with. When my minutes and/or time runs out I will switch to a company that respect and appreciate their customers. I suggest to anyone that is thinking about doing business with TracFone to search elsewhere and forget about doing business with a company where the customer service is in Guatemala, Columbia, or the Philippines when their home office is in Miami, Florida. On a ranking of 1 to 10, I give the company a minus 100.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I had an issue transferring prepaid service for one phone to another. Customer Service was completely unwilling to solve my issue even though it was possible that they could have. I DO NOT recommend Tracfone to anyone!

Original review: June 22, 2019

I was with Tracfone for 10 years. They sent me a letter saying I would need to upgrade my phone by the end of the year or I would lose my service. I purchased a new phone, after I had it all activated I found out the phone was defective. They sent me a new phone. The letter that came with new phone said if my other phone was activated I wouldn't have to activate new one. Went to make a call and couldn't. Call Tracfone and they said I would have to have a new number and pay for activation. I said I want my money back. They told me to take the phone back to where I bought it. Took the phone back to Walmart and they said they couldn't refund my money because I had a replacement phone and the serial number didn't match with the receipt. I called Tracfone several times to get my money back with no luck. The customer service is terrible and no one can speak very good English. I no longer will do business with them.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I bought a phone with a TracFone prepaid card (1 year plan) of 1200 min call, 1200 text, and 1200 data included. I have used 800 texts out of the 1200 texts. Recently, I got a message telling me that I have spent all the 1200 texts and it is not true; they want me to buy more texts; I called customer service requiring the records of my text usage and they (TracFone) rejected to send it to me. I do not trust this company.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I bought Tracfone A502DL from Roswell Walmart in Roswell, GA, with a view to upgrade from my Alcatel One touch. I am a long time customer of Tracfone. This phone was defective - no sound, no ringing, and nothing could make it work. Sent a few days trying help from Tracfone and was suggested that I need to return the phone for Tracfone to send me a replacement. I followed their suggestion, got a prepaid FEDEX bag on May 28. I sent the defective phone and it was delivered to Tracfone by FEDEX on May 31 at 10:50 am. I thought I will get my replacement in a few days.

On June 18, 2019 (the day I am writing this) I have not received the replacement. I have chatted, called and talked over phone several times during these 3 weeks and I am yet to get any positive response. Every time I go through the same drill and get the answer that the replacement is being sent; I am supposed to get a notification within 24 hours (since early June!) but no indication yet. Even if the phone is being shipped direct from China, I should have gotten it by now. I have already paid for the service but am yet to get the phone.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Here is my advice for all Tracfone users, log in to your Tracfone account often and keep records of your minutes, service end date and auto refill dates. If you haven't run into problems yet, you will at some point. Take a photo with your phone of the screen w/ your minutes and record on paper/spreadsheet. You will need this information. Service can go fine for awhile without issues.

But should anything change such as updating credit card, or simply calling CS, etc. all your minutes/auto refill and service end date can change and or be wiped out totally and all this while attempting to get help from their CS that will keep you on the phone for hours upon hours, only to screw things up more, all the while assuring you that everything is fine, they have fixed it and your minutes will be restored & to check back later, or have no explanation as to why your minutes were wiped out, but they can only reinstate you under a new plan. Meanwhile their auto refill didn't go through and cancelled your plan for no apparent reason even though their system showed the auto refill date and you were reassured beforehand that everything is on schedule.

Whatever the case may be I see this happening a lot with others and there is a running theme here, this company is unscrupulous and has unlawful practices. I suggest everyone consider gathering their similar experiences and join a class action lawsuit, We cannot be taken advantage of, then simply say we'll switch plans, with all the money and time invested, along with complete and frustration at receiving no real assistance from corporate. It's unacceptable.

Original review: June 15, 2019

6 months ago I noticed the signal strength to my 4G smart phone was declining and now it isn't enough to just go outside, I have to drive to a spot 2 miles away to get any bars at all. I used to regularly get good signal in higher population areas but this has changed as well. Now I pretty much have to connect to the internet with WiFi and use an Internet app to make calls.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I went on TracFone to basic plan & ordered 1,000 texts for $5.00, I received 200 minutes. Two hours later I went on basic plan & ordered the same & received service days for $10.36. I have tons of service days - certainly did not need anymore, so I called TracFone & they don't seem to know what they are doing, took me forever & still didn't do it right. This is probably the 5th+ times I have had trouble. They change what they offer after your 1st order so you can't get it again & lucky if you get it right the first time, beware & watch everything you order. Have been a long time customer but guess it's time for a change, so BEWARE!

Original review: June 14, 2019

Use another company if possible...issue after issue with the Pre-Paid card, never was able to use the Data and they refused to extend the expiration time. I would never use them again! They cancelled my existing contract when they reinstated my original phone number then made me buy a second contract to retrieve the original minutes that they should never have deleted. Horrible!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I have had a one of their phones for a couple of years now. I bought it with the triple plan. I have the apps that keep up with your minutes-data-text and they also send you messages to purchase minutes - plans and the app has the minute-text-data plans that they supply with the pricing. When you check out, it doesn't give you what you pay for. I called customer service the first time about it and they wouldn't refund it. I just purchase enough to keep the phone active for back up usage. I only did the 30 minutes plan that their app shows. It shows ON THE APP and says "Actual benefits 30 days service 90 minutes 90 texts and 90 MB of data" and it lets you check out that way. It doesn't give you any of that. The only thing you get is 30 minutes and 30 days.

The next month I renewed again. I bought the 19.99 plan which says it's the 60 minute airtime card .. It says on the app "ACTUAL BENEFITS 90 DAYS SERVICE, 180 MINUTES, 180 TEXTS, 180 MB of data" .. It cheats you out of those also. It only gives you the basic 60 minutes and 90 days. Those prices aren't competitive even if they gave you the actual benefits described in the ad but for them to only give you 30 minutes for $11.00 plus dollars and 22.00 plus dollars for 60 minutes and think that anyone would intentionally purchase at those ridiculous minute prices with all of the other much cheaper companies out there, well it's ridiculous. The only reason I kept it was for the phone and a back up.

Now they won't even do the right thing and give their customers what they pay for. They told me it was a "glitch" that they "smart phones can't get those benefits".. What kind of mess is that? You sold it to me. You let me check out. You are instructing your online people to steal from customers something that we bought in good faith and then when we call you on it, you refuse to give us our lousy minutes, text and data and put us through this? I even told them I was going to do it and they don't even care.

These companies don't care how they treat people these days. They just steal from consumers and then refuse to do the right thing because they know that there's little to no chance of us getting our money back without going through an act of Congress.. It's consumer - seller fraud and theft. If they're doing it to me over and over, I know they're doing it to other people. My own sister says they did it to her too. Why can't you just do the right thing when you make a mistake and give us what we pay for without us having to go through this? It's not like it's costing you anything but you are stealing from American consumers and you shouldn't get away with that. You've done it to me 2 times in 2 months.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I never received the 35 dollar gift card as promised even though when I bought it it said you were supposed to activate a new line and I did it. I Even sat on hold with them a whole hour while they said they were going to send it though the mail and they actually admited it they didnt a week later after they said they would. They said I activated the phone too soon which does not make sense. When I purchased the phone it did not say you had to wait until a certain day to activate it.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My plan quit because the card on file had expired. No one on the chat line could tell me how to update the card. I tried using another card and although the site said the transaction was approved, it gave no indication that the order had gone through. I went to the chat line and was told it might take up to an hour to go through. SIX hours later it had not gone through. Chat line person said adjustment was made and to wait till it went through. Today, over 24 hours after I put in the order, still NO PHONE. Getting very frustrated.

Original review: June 6, 2019

A few years ago I gave this a good review. It is now necessary to amend it. Nowadays many companies require users to receive a "short code" as validation. You then use that code to validate that you and the phone number are the same. After being cut out of several sites because I didn't receive that "short code" I finally discovered the truth. TracFone does NOT support "short codes". I was required to get a new service. TracFone did not even see this as an uncomfortable problem for their customers. It was especially uncomfortable because I had just renewed my service for a year. It had to be tossed.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Because the service was so awful I decided to switch phone service company. TracFone first would not give me my account number because they claimed I didn't have an account--which was a lie. I had one day left with which to change my provider. When I went to another company they said I had to get another SIM because mine was attached to the TracFone number, even though it could be ported to another company, which turned out to be nightmare. So I decided that i would simply get another number, which meant that TracFone would have to release my number. They refused saying that I had to be a customer---all these things were not mentioned when they wanted to sign me up as a customer. And this is the SHORT version. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: June 2, 2019

TracFone sent me a text where I was told if I bought a new phone and added a new line I would get a $35 gift card. After getting the new phone I called to ask whether I could port my old phone number and data from my old phone to the new and activate my old phone with a new line and was told "yes". The customer service rep did it all on their end. After not getting my gift card I called again and was told the new activation had to be on the new phone. Even thought the text and their own customer service said the contrary. I spend 6 hours elevating the issue. The company would rather commit fraud than keep their written and spoken promise.

Original review: June 1, 2019

My phone stopped working immediately after one of their updates. I was unable to use the phone for calls, texts and internet. Called TracFone from a cellphone that used a different provider, and as soon as they heard that, they immediately became belligerent. I was told that all the minutes and data that I had paid for were gone and none of it could be retrieved. They told me that I had to buy an activation card and then contact them again in the hopes of getting the phone to work again. They were very rude, and would simply repeat, “You need to get an activation card, then we’ll see about fixing the phone."

When I asked them if it made sense to spend more money on a phone that might not work, again they would parrot the phrase “get an activation card...". Then I asked if I get a card, and the phone is fixed, will I get my old minutes, data data, and service time back, they responded with wordplay. They didn’t want to simply say “No, all the minutes, data and service time that I had recently paid for were not coming back." They wanted me to throw good money after bad.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Have used TracFone for years and when I bought a phone from a rep from the company was sent a defective phone. Person to person and they were reading from the same cheap book I have.... Came with phone...would not send a return label as they said they needed the phone first...sounds real logical right? Would not do anything so I have a worthless phone 199.00 and no satisfaction on how to replace it. Stay away from this company or you too will lose time money and get nothing in return but a headache.... Be warned it at some point happen to you.... It just took having a return problem with a client who for 5 years was always singing their praises' will take the loss and find a new company with people who speak English and not just push you from dept to dept and know less about their product than you do. You have been advised....don't use that loser company for anything and for sure do not give them your C.C. Number.

Original review: June 1, 2019

While adding minutes to my phone the screen popped up saying I needed to upgrade my phone. I had my phone for about 9ys. Went to walmart to purchase a newer phone. Came home and activated it. Screen showed over 2000 min and 2000 texts due to my years of rollover. 2 days later phone shut off. Went to Walmart to get a new one thinking something was wrong with the phone. Get home, call TracFone to get it situated and they tell me cannot help because my number has been deactivated and they cannot pull up my account because of deactivation. Spend hours trying to get it fixed then finally when asked to speak to headquarters was told they were closed and to call back tomorrow... Never again!!!! Get a better phone company before going here...

Original review: May 31, 2019

Let’s take a moment to talk about TRACFONE.... I purchased a phone for Steph in January from Walmart. Paid $100 that I don’t really have JUST so she could have something. (Most of her other family now lives out of state.) Problems came when I went to refill her texts. I had to call in February. To me, she still had texts left on her phone (she doesn’t use it much) and so I knew she still had about 100 of texts to use before she ran out. Suddenly, she couldn’t text. I called TRACFONE and at first they kept saying she used them all. I was transferred 3 times, till I reached someone who dug into her account further and found she still had 80 texts to use. I paid for an additional 1,000 texts. I was on the phone for 45 minutes.

Had to call again in March. She had no texts again when she should’ve had texts. Again on the phone for 45 minutes with them claiming she used her texts until I reached someone who looked into her account further and told me that she hadn’t. The man I spoke to was apologetic, and let me know TRACFONE is having issues with their computer system automatically voiding out airtime and text units.

Since Steph needed a phone, I paid at that point for additional 1,000 texts to be added on. (Shouldn’t have done it...) She probably used about 200 of those texts, then shut off her phone and didn’t use it again. Today I had to call to add airtime minutes. Added another 1,000 texts because she will be leaving for two months to see her grandma. The lady, again, told me she had no other texts. When she should’ve had 800 texts left to use. They refused to either reimburse me or put the texts on her phone. They won today, even after I asked for a supervisor. (Which she refused to send me to, claiming she was the only person I could talk to).

Since I already paid for the next few months so my daughter can contact me while she’s gone, I’m not discontinuing her service, but this is the last time I am ever paying for this phone. I am furious. Repeatedly they have tried to steal from me, and today they have successfully been able to. Please share this, to warn others about TRACFONE. They will steal from you, and have no problem doing it. I have no doubt in my mind that I am NOT the only one they are doing this to.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Today, I just happened to look at My Account Summary (not a text that I would see every day) and found a notice from TracFone that my phone I have only had one year will be impacted by upcoming network changes and soon will not work. They are offering new phones at discount rates. On my present phone I have a lot of minutes, etc. built up, plus I have paid for the month of June, but nothing will be rebated. I wonder what would keep TracFone from doing this every so often. In addition, when I got this phone, a year ago, I spent 7 hours during 2 days trying to get my telephone number and trying to get my phone to work. I don't think I could go through that, again.

Original review: May 31, 2019

After being a satisfied Tracfone customer for a number of years, Tracfone ported my number out to Cricket without my permission. I spent a week calling Tracfone Port Escalations unit nightly. They reported they were trying to return my number, I finally gave up. I lost 10 months of service and all my units. Tracfone would not refund my unused service or units.

Original review: May 30, 2019

My husband and his mother have used Tracfone for YEARS very successfully!! Great value!!! I live in Colorado and She lives in Missouri. She is 88 and recently WASHED her cell phone in the laundry, so I ordered her a very basic phone again. When it arrived it insists for her to SHOW PASSWORD. She has never had a password. So, I am calling tech support trying to help her figure it out for two days. They talk in circles and are as helpful as a sponge. They insist the phone is activated. They insist she set up a password, but all she did was turn the phone on!

I Wanted to continue the conversation on my land line and call her on my cell to do a three way call and the tech support lady said she could only be on the line for 2 minutes. So, I guess I need to drive 900 miles to set up a cell phone or have her ship it to me so I can do a master reset because the call center can't stay on the line for 2 minutes??? I will pay more in postage than I paid for the phone and an 88 year old is without a phone for the two weeks that may take. VERY UNHAPPY with tech support!!

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs