TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.5/5 (423 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

Top TracFone Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using Tra...

Verified

What is TracFone Wireless?

TracFone is a nationwide prepaid cell phone service. It lets customers keep their existing phones and numbers. Customers in the market for a new phone can browse the large inventory of name-brand phones, including LG, Samsung, Motorola and Apple. TracFone phones can be purchased at a discounted rate, and shipping is free.

Some plans can be set to refill automatically, while others require manual refills online or at a TracFone location. Customers can add extra features to their plans, such as global calling or additional minutes, text and data.

Other features that can be added to a basic plan include lost and stolen phone coverage and mobile protection. These services act as insurance in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

TracFone offers a wide selection of name brand phones, many of which are great for kids and seniors.

TracFone Wireless plans

TracFone Wireless offers a variety of plans at different price points. Some of the most popular plans are:

Length of planMinutes/textDataMonthly price*
30 daysUnlimited3 GB$30
30 daysUnlimited2 GB$25
365 days1500/15001.5 GB$125
60 days750/10001.0 GB$35
30 days500/500500 MB$15

*At the time of publishing

Many plans are $5 to $10 cheaper than the listed price when you sign up for auto-refill. If you want to add global calling or more minutes and texts, you can purchase add-ons. TracFone Wireless also offers student discounts.

TracFone Wireless has plans for smartphones and basic phones and plans designed for people who talk and text more than they browse the internet or stream music. Basic phone plans range from $10 to $100 a month, and smartphone plans range from $15 to $125.

Customers can use their compatible phones with TracFone Wireless or purchase one through the company. Customers can purchase basic flip phones for $20, older Galaxy phones for $30 and iPhone 7s for $240 along with many other phone options at different price points.

How much does a one-year TracFone card cost?

The one-year smartphone plan costs $125 at the time of publishing. This is a one-time purchase that covers your wireless service for 365 days. The auto-refill price is $118 at the time of publishing. With this plan you receive:

• 1500 minutes
  • 1500 texts
  • 1.5 GB of data at 4G LTE Speed
  • No contracts

Customers can purchase refill cards at Walmart and Target, over the phone or at one of the 70,000 TracFone locations nationwide.

TracFone Wireless FAQ

What network is TracFone?
TracFone Wireless uses a mobile virtual network operator that includes Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation and U.S. Cellular.
Is there an unlimited plan for TracFone?
Yes. The StraightTalk service offers 30 MB of data and unlimited calls and texts for $45 per month.
Does TracFone Wireless charge for Wi-Fi?
No. As long as your phone is active and has Wi-Fi capabilities, there is no charge.
What is TracFone Wireless compatible with?
TracFone Wireless will work on GSM Unlocked phones, AT&T-compatible phones, T-Mobile-compatible phones, Verizon-compatible phones and some CDMA Technology-compatible phones.
What is TracFone’s coverage area?
TracFone has extensive coverage on the East Coast of the county and central states, with less coverage in the mountain states and on the West Coast.

Is TracFone legit?

Yes. TracFone Wireless is a trusted and reliable cell phone provider that lets people stay connected without signing long-term contracts. Its affordable monthly plans offer basic features and are ideal for those who do not use their phones all the time.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

Original review: July 5, 2021

I have had nothing but problems with customer service, they seem to have a script and if you jump in with question, they go back to the script. My questions never got answered and I am tired of trying to deal with them.

Original review: July 5, 2021

They had me on the phone for 4 hours talking to eight different people trying to get my minutes switch to another phone. I ended up losing 5400 mins. data and text. They do this a lot. Switch operators a lot.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2021

I stuck with Tracfone with at least an emergency phone since 2002, at least 6 times updated phones. The last few months I have had trouble adding time to continue my smartphone plan. Last month I finally just went to the store and bought a card to put time on. This month was my last straw. I could not add time online, and the cards at local store had a glitch so could not purchase one. I again reached out to Tracfone Customer Service and was told the best way to stop it was to sign up for auto pay, tried that and was informed that the same credit card they have used for past 3 months could not be used for this.

It is a Master Card, they kept insisting it was a Visa number....I even tried to plead my case on longevity....The answer was so funny. He said, "Oh I understand why you might be upset. We Do Value you being a customer, but I cannot help you," and he Promptly left the Chat. So if you want a phone for a short time Tracfone is Good, over time you will regret it. I have changed providers and I am hoping my number is with me. I spoke to 4 different reps and finally just told them I am Done, there are more phone companies that have offered better services for many years now.

Original review: June 28, 2021

I would like to say thank you Tracfone. The 2 phones arrived today. Thank you again. Somehow the phone came in from another company. It arrived without fedex knowing it was on their truck. How I don't just thankful to have both new phones.

Original review: June 28, 2021

I have been with this company for a year now and I am fed up! I have had numerous issues dealing with Tracfone: data that disappears, lack of signal in covered areas, device system resets without consent, unknowledgeable, unhelpful and/or unreachable service staff, reimbursements that never seem to make it back to my device and having a "suspicious activity" label placed on my account after complaining. I've been willing to put up with many things due to the cheapness of their plans; however, this latest episode took the cake. When my plan expires in mid-July, I will not be purchasing another.

For months now, each time I pay for extra data to add to my account (that is, any in addition to my original pay as you go monthly), Tracfone puts it into some sort of holding cell rather than adding it to my phone as they should. The result of this, after discovering my bought & "successfully" added data is still not on my phone, is that 2 or 3 times a month I get to spend between 2 and 5 hours on the phone trying to locate & recover my legal property. Two days ago, this happened to me yet again. While normally, after hours upon wasted hours of repeated conversations, transfers & much aggravation, I achieve my purpose; this time proved to be not only the exception, but the straw that broke the camel's back.

Once on the phone, I waited through the normal automated drivel until I got through to a real, live human. I explain to lackey #1 the issue. Being a low level employee, they usually: argue with me briefly before transferring me to another lackey, don't know how to help me, pretend to fix my issue in order to end the call quickly, don't speak enough English to understand what I'm saying or spout useless scripted jargon at me between placing me on "a brief hold" 5 or more times.

After 30 or so minutes of this, I request to speak to their supervisor. I'm then read a word for word, scripted goodbye and transfered over to lackey # 2. This process will be repeated anywhere from 4 to 15 times, each transfer resulting in my having to begin my explaination a new as Tracfone apparently does not keep records of calls or practice interdepartmental communications. After supervisor/lackey #15ish also turns out to be unhelpful, i get transferred to corporate manager #1 to repeat the process all over from A to Z several more times (Please don't think I am exaggerating here, I'm not! It is that ridiculous!).

Sometimes, about every 5th call or so, I get lucky. I only have to spend a little over an hour on the phone before reaching manager #4 (a.k.a. someone who actually knows what the heck I'm talking about and can fix my problem. Unfortunately, when this occurred during today's phone call, we were disconnected halfway through troubleshooting my phone. That means, you guessed it: starting all over again from point 0 on a new phone call).

Usually though, I'm just transferred back & forth until I finally speak with an employee who knows the computer system & knows where to look to find my info. They will then manually add however much data I have purchased onto my account, tell me to restart my phone & have a safe day! Sometimes. Other times, the manual addition doesn't take (for some reason unbeknownst to me and 90% of Tracfone's staff) and I get the happy chore of spending yet another frustrating half day on the phone with Tracfone trying to fix it.

The last time I actually had the pleasure of speaking with a competent employee there (a manager in the corporate tech office), I asked them why this happens to me each time I add extra data. I was told that it was "due to an error in their system update concerning the older type of pay as you go plan that I had on my account." I was assured that they would be fixing the issue real soon.

Not only is is issue still alive and ruining my day as of today, as an added bonus the lovely people at Tracfone just informed me that they would not be "giving me" any more data! Since I have never been given anything I haven't paid full price for, I was naturally confused and so asked what the heck was going on. Of course the current lackey on the line did not know why this was, only that it was noted on her screen. 4 transfers and 2 hours later I finally had someone who could, partially anyway, answer my question.

Turns out that each time my data had to manually added, it was considered by their system to be data they gave away. In those instances, there was no way for the Tracfone employee to note that the added data had actually been paid for and not given for free. After 5 manual additions to one account, that account is automatically red flagged in the system for "suspicious activity". When I asked for further clarification, I was told that data can no longer be manually added to my account; including the 1 gb of data I had just bought! While the current lackey was "very sorry", he told me "there was nothing he could do as [he] was not allowed to give [me] anymore data."

There was that word again, "Give", and it angered me. I requested another supervisor. Ten minutes later, when the "Corporate Supervisor" finally came on the line, I unleashed my frustration. I told him, first, that they (Tracfone) had never given me anything! I have bought and paid for everything I have ever received from them with the exception of the twice monthly headaches I am forced to endure from the repeated phone calls. He sympathized and understood.

Second, I told him it was no fault of mine that his employees had been "doing things the wrong way" when adding on my purchased data. Also, if he realizes this, why doesn't he take the time to fix it, rather than allowing his associates to remain ignorant and his customers to be branded as dishonest? He replied that he did not know and that it was outside of his department. He stated that he would try to get to the bottom of it and placed me on hold for several minutes. When he returned, his entire demeanor changed and he no longer sounded as though he wished to help me. He rudely told me I had to verify my purchase, which I had already done no less than 10 times.

I told him that not only had I already given all the required info to the lackey I had spoken with the day before (the who assured me that they had fixed my issue & put my data on my account), but to many more people present day, during this very same call! This verification included the Tracfone card's scratch off pin #, store receipt particulars, activation code # and my debit card info. Being as how they made a "full report" on each occasion I gave these numbers, I did not see why it was necessary for me to have to resupply my debit information another 15 times to prove the legitimacy of my claim.

The supervisor proceeded to argue with me for several more minutes, near the end shouting through the receiver at me and calling me an "American Swindler". He said that while they would "love to give every customer the benefit of the doubt", that "in this case it was written in black and white". I told him I wished to speak to his boss. He replied, "They will tell you the same thing." I repeated my request to speak to his supervisor. He said, " No. They are all busy at now." I told him I would be happy to wait. He said, "No. No," and then hung up on me!

I have now called back 14 times since that call ended. Each time, I am guided through the normal automated system then placed on a 30 second hold; after holding, a prerecorded voice comes on line and says, "A representative will need to assist you". There are then a series of beeps before the call gets disconnected. I have even tried calling from another phone. As soon as I type in the number I am calling about, I get the same message, beeps and disconnect. Now, not only do I get insulted by these crooks, but I basically have no choice but to take it as it would cost way more than a mere 10 bucks to sue their ** in court for false business practices.

I have yet to be given either my $10 back or my 1 Gb of data; therefore, I can only conclude that they have been stolen. After this episode, I began to look online for a possible solution. Though I did not find an answer, I did find a number of stories that were similar to my own. All of these were instances where Tracfone has behaved in a manner that is less than upstanding and totally dishonest. It makes me sick to think that this company has made it to the top of the food chain not by being the best or offering the best products, but by ripping off it's clientele, many of whom cannot afford to go elsewhere for cellular service.

Personally, I've had enough. I am finished allowing this multimillion dollar, greedy AT&T subsidiary to take it's profits by sneakily pinching them from my wallet! The minute my current plan expires, I will be canceling my Tracfone account and would have already done so if not for the fact that I have already paid through July and I sincerely doubt I would ever see any sort of refund. I would rather FREELY pay a bit more for cell service than pay Tracfone another cent! And though my departure will certainly not matter in the grand scheme of Tracfone's bottom line, I urge anyone else who feels this way about this shady company to do the same. Perhaps if "I" becomes "We", Tracfone will one day be held accountable for all its dubious practices.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Tracfone user for 18 years. I sure am a very upset Tracfone user. I have had tracfone since 2003 when it was a good company to deal with. A person answered my call about not having service in the mountains where I live and he spent a long time finding me an LG phone which I did get service and have had LG phones every since.

I have an LG Rebel 3 and could not make calls on it as it was not loud enough to hear the other person but I used it all the time for texting. I am 84 and needed to notify my caretaker daughter that I was OK morning and night. On May 21 I ordered a reconditioned Rebel tracfone 4 which included a service card to activate it from Tracfone store. I did not receive a new service plan with it so in order to activate it I had to buy a new service plan and somehow they gave that phone the same number as the Rebel 3. I have spent $90.31 getting it activated, etc. I still owe $17.14 which I just added on 30 more days on June 21. I wanted to make sure they didn't shut it off.

My daughter called them and after many attempts she spoke to a human person. Anyway after she gave him the serial numbers of both phones he said they would now be on the Rebel 3 that does work good here. I found neither phone worked so my daughter called them again and found out he had deactivated both phones by using the phone number. So now I have lost all my service time, data, minutes and spent many dollars on this cheating company. My daughter finally set me up with a new service plan and my same phone number, another many dollars spent.

They say they cannot reimburse me. It was their fault in the first place giving me two phones with the same number and the technician who deleted the phone number which deactivated both phones. I am sending this letter to BBB and also the corporate headquarters of Tracfone and New York State Attorney General and posting on a website so they will know how people are getting cheated out of their money. Thank you for reading this.

This is the last information I got on the usage on my Rebel 3 phone. (Rebel 4 never did work.) As of 6/23/21 13:38 PAYGO PLAN BAL Minutes:5504, SMS:751, Data:1.71GB, Service until: 12-APR-22, UNL PLAN BAL, Data: 6.87GB, Exp: 22-JUL-21. Terms: http://tf-w.co/datatc. May 21st I paid $33.61 for the Rebel 4 and was supposed to get a service card with it but didn't and had to buy one to activate it. (order number **). May 24th I paid tracfone $33.78 for the service plan I had to buy to activate it. May 28th I Paid tracfone $22.92. (Don't even know why I was charged that.) These were all posted on the following dates on my Bank America Card May 22, May 25, and May 29. I paid them $90.31 and they took it all and refused to make it right in any way.

I also have a new charge on my July statement for June 21 for $17.49 which I used to add on 30 more days of service time so they would not shut my phone down until I got everything transferred onto my Rebel 3 phone. June Bank of America already paid. Transation Date Posting Date 5/21 5/22 Tracfone Phones $33.61, 5/24 5/25 Tracfone Airtime $33.78. 5/28 5/29 Tracfone Airtime $22.92. On July statement not paid yet 6/21 Tracfone Airtime $17.49.

Original review: June 17, 2021

On 06/16/2021 I filed a 2nd complaint with the FCC and the BBB. Know that Tracfone customer service is in the Philippines. They have scripted responses that they have to say. You will never get a correct answer. After filing a complaint they have to respond to me in 30 days. My 1st complaint they did however (because it's the law) after repeatedly emailing and leaving voicemail the person (Trumaine **) never got in contact with me. I gave him my schedules when I would be available and yet no response. They will send you a email to show they are in compliance with the FCC. After that nothing. After doing research well known companies are offering affordable plans. If you go w/ them don't say you weren't warned.

Original review: June 10, 2021

Purchased Phone 6/2/2021. Activated that day and requested phone # port from previous cell carrier. Old carrier texted 6/3/2021 saying request complete, however TracFone stated 2-5 business days to complete. Finally on 6/11/2021 I called Tracfone Customer Service and asked for a new number as my request was "lost" in their system. Issued number at 12:18pm EST...was still on the phone with tech support (4 reps later) at 4:10pm EST when I was finally told to leave my phone off and that it should be fixed within 24hrs. Fixed within 24hrs after not working for over a week? I give them a zero. Horrible and unacceptable as now I have a phone I am either stuck with or have to pay a restocking fee for, not to mention the monthly service fee I already paid for. Use two tin cans and a string as it's more useful than their tech support.

Original review: May 20, 2021

We had a simple Tracfone for 13 years. We had to turn it in at one point and get a new one, but recently Tracfone told us they were no longer supporting that phone. So we foolishly decided to get two new, inexpensive smartphones which had what we needed (not a lot of fancy gizmos). Oh my lord! I spent nine days and many hours trying to get the phone to work with no luck. Then my husband tried to get his phone to work, no such luck. Now they want me to sign up for some smartphone service (never sign up for any monthly charges online for anything!), so my next request will be for a prepaid return label. This company is not able to help you get your phone working, though many of the people who work for them are pleasant (one assured us there is coverage in our area). I wish we could get **, but they don't have coverage in our area.

Original review: March 10, 2021

Yesterday I bought a sim kit and a 500 min. card. I have an unlocked phone that they said was compatible with their network.. After 4 hours working with them it still did not have a working phone. They said they would fix it and give them 15 min. / restart the phone and they would call me back in an hour... No callback. Did not work so I called them. They said the sim and min. were being used by another phone and for me to go buy another set of cards. Big ripoff.

TracFone Wireless Company Information