TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.5/5 (433 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

Top TracFone Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using Tra...

Verified

What is TracFone Wireless?

TracFone is a nationwide prepaid cell phone service. It lets customers keep their existing phones and numbers. Customers in the market for a new phone can browse the large inventory of name-brand phones, including LG, Samsung, Motorola and Apple. TracFone phones can be purchased at a discounted rate, and shipping is free.

Some plans can be set to refill automatically, while others require manual refills online or at a TracFone location. Customers can add extra features to their plans, such as global calling or additional minutes, text and data.

Other features that can be added to a basic plan include lost and stolen phone coverage and mobile protection. These services act as insurance in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

TracFone offers a wide selection of name brand phones, many of which are great for kids and seniors.

TracFone Wireless plans

TracFone Wireless offers a variety of plans at different price points. Some of the most popular plans are:

Length of planMinutes/textDataMonthly price*
30 daysUnlimited3 GB$30
30 daysUnlimited2 GB$25
365 days1500/15001.5 GB$125
60 days750/10001.0 GB$35
30 days500/500500 MB$15

*At the time of publishing

Many plans are $5 to $10 cheaper than the listed price when you sign up for auto-refill. If you want to add global calling or more minutes and texts, you can purchase add-ons. TracFone Wireless also offers student discounts.

TracFone Wireless has plans for smartphones and basic phones and plans designed for people who talk and text more than they browse the internet or stream music. Basic phone plans range from $10 to $100 a month, and smartphone plans range from $15 to $125.

Customers can use their compatible phones with TracFone Wireless or purchase one through the company. Customers can purchase basic flip phones for $20, older Galaxy phones for $30 and iPhone 7s for $240 along with many other phone options at different price points.

How much does a one-year TracFone card cost?

The one-year smartphone plan costs $125 at the time of publishing. This is a one-time purchase that covers your wireless service for 365 days. The auto-refill price is $118 at the time of publishing. With this plan you receive:

• 1500 minutes
  • 1500 texts
  • 1.5 GB of data at 4G LTE Speed
  • No contracts

Customers can purchase refill cards at Walmart and Target, over the phone or at one of the 70,000 TracFone locations nationwide.

TracFone Wireless FAQ

What network is TracFone?
TracFone Wireless uses a mobile virtual network operator that includes Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation and U.S. Cellular.
Is there an unlimited plan for TracFone?
Yes. The StraightTalk service offers 30 MB of data and unlimited calls and texts for $45 per month.
Does TracFone Wireless charge for Wi-Fi?
No. As long as your phone is active and has Wi-Fi capabilities, there is no charge.
What is TracFone Wireless compatible with?
TracFone Wireless will work on GSM Unlocked phones, AT&T-compatible phones, T-Mobile-compatible phones, Verizon-compatible phones and some CDMA Technology-compatible phones.
What is TracFone’s coverage area?
TracFone has extensive coverage on the East Coast of the county and central states, with less coverage in the mountain states and on the West Coast.

Is TracFone legit?

Yes. TracFone Wireless is a trusted and reliable cell phone provider that lets people stay connected without signing long-term contracts. Its affordable monthly plans offer basic features and are ideal for those who do not use their phones all the time.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I like this company because I can pay as I go and what I do not use it gets rolled over for the next time. I do not have drop calls or any kind of issues with that. The other thing is they will notify you when it is time to renew.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

This phone is much less expensive than the big names, but it has all the features that I need/want. It takes nice pix and it is generally easy to operate. I use the speaker feature regularly to make the sound loud enough that I can hold the phone away from my ears. I use the flashlight when I move from the living room to the bedroom at the end of day. I like this LG phone and would recommend it.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I love TracFone Wireless. I pay $30 for 3 months of service. The TracFones I usually purchase costs less than $75 and lasts about 3 yrs. The voice and connectivity coverage is great locally and nationally and I don't call internationally so I don't know about that. I get enough talk/text to last more than 3 months. The internet and camera functions are pretty good and voice calls sound is great. This is "the David communication" in a land of Goliaths. Great deal.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I like having a person to talk to with any service needs. Very helpful. Great service. Reasonable. NO CONTRACT. Always complete resolution of issue when service required. I have never had dropped calls or loss of service. I chuckle when I hear of the multiple problems others have and their complaints about poor service from nationwide big carriers.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

With TracFone wireless you don’t have to worry about contracts or hidden fees. You pay as you go. They have plans that fit every budget. Add ons like more airtime, GB are reasonable too. I like the fact you can bring your own phone and number. You can’t beat that.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

TRACFONE REVIEW. They tried to play me for a fool. They have lied to me constantly. They have become unreliable. They have stolen my data without reason. No more promo's or birthday promo's. I never had to call them before, but then it became constant. Reliable KEVA **, has become unreliable KEVA **. Does not answer her emails, does not return calls. I remember Keva from my first tracfone almost 20 yrs ago; CDMA. She was always on point. That Keva is dead. Tracfone has become an unreliable, tired old man. When tracfone was a vibrant youth, it was great and nothing but love. I left and even returned with delight. Now... STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY! Stay away from all tracfone products. DO NOT PATRON!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

No contract...Reasonable rates...Reliable service...Who could ask for more? Was fortunate to purchase with an LG phone and triple minutes every time I ordered. Liked it so much...Went back and purchased for my husband.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I wanted to purchase a phone that was not a smart phone. Salesman advised the LG K31 Rebel would be the phone for me. Purchased but found out that it is a smart phone and thus needs a smart phone plan. The return label was damaged and unreadable. Called Tracfone. After explaining all this to the agent, she said so you want to buy air time (what the?). Tried again and finally ask to speak to a supervisor who didn't know the return procedure either. She told me to take it to my Tracfone dealer to get it set up. I don't want to set the phone up, just want to return it. I see now that Tracfone just doesn't want to communicate. Their customer service is the worst!!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Can not trust them with anything. They would say their system does not let as if they here for you but really don't care about you. STAY AWAY!!!! I'm not talking about their customer service that's known for a real bad one (if that's could customer service....)

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

These two companies; Safelink and Tracfone, have literally the dumbest people working for them. For something that should take a minute, they will take not weeks but months and 100 to 200 hours of your time. Stay away unless you want to get a early heart attack from their bad service.

TracFone Wireless Company Information