TracFone
1.85/5
Based on 255 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

TracFone Reviews

2166 TracFone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

We have been TracFone patrons for 15 plus years. Today, both mine and my wife's phone got no service. When going to Customer Service chat room, we were told by 2 different agents the reason we could not get phone to work was because we had left the area code phone was registered. How stupid is this? Each agent told us to troubleshoot phone we had to be back in the area code we purchased from. I can understand my phone as we are 250 plus miles from where we originally bought it, however, we are in the same area code for wife's phone. Again, they could not fix without factory resets and losing all data, phone numbers etc. LAST TRACFONE EVER... BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. What a joke, no help unless you are in original area code. First agent said you are not supposed to travel outside area code... WHAT A JOKE.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Always TracFone user- ordered for friend no cell -added 15mo+700min as gift. The phone doesn't work in his area but works in mine were active for him. Called twice & they can not replace nor refund. They did issue new # once. Now that one locks up w/ voicemails contin Calif not legit - like someone access to new phone. Also can't access VMESSAGES. Called twice - phone hours - pass me here / there - then nothing we can do about it. Don't get phone & expect it to work. My confidence zilch. Side note - my old one has worked long time. Apparently the new ones & system junk. You pay for service to use get month's service & find it is useless/defective.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I accidentally ordered two cell phones and plans from TracFone. I tried to cancel one by calling customer service within 3 minutes of the mistake. I was advised to simply "refuse" one of the boxes, that USPS would notify them and that a refund would take 2-7 days for a refund. On June 8, 2018 I refused one of the boxes (which IS noted on the tracking information on the USPS system) and am still waiting for my refund. I call DAILY asking when I can expect my money to be credited back my money and each and everyday I am given a different answer, anywhere from 2 to 30 days.

TracFone charged my account within less than 1 minutes, but THEY need 30 days to return my money? It takes only 1 key stroke, less than a minute to resolve this issue, and for TracFone it takes 43,200 minutes to clear this matter up. I am not unhappy with the phone and services I purchased, I am EXTREMELY unhappy by their lack of respect for their customers, their lack of honesty, and their poor customer services. I would NEVER recommend that you purchase a TracFone online. If it is your only option for cell phone service, BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I can no longer access my messages from another phone. Due to extremely bad hearing I hear much better on my landline phone so used that to access my cell messages. Suddenly TracFone blocked that feature! I called customer service, 3 times...the first time rep said he would "troubleshoot" and call me back. Nothing! Second time, rep said call my landline provider, their fault. Nada! Third time, rep said TracFone "update" they are having technical issues with that particular feature. Still no resolution. They cannot speak English, they lie, and they most certainly are NOT customer service. This is not the first time. I am switching!

Original review: June 16, 2018

Excellent coverage and assistance if needed via phone call or chat, standard service is $45 a month but you can get it much cheaper, $30 a month is all it costs me. BYOP is best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: June 16, 2018

Economical for old people who don't need all the bells and whistles. You never lose minutes and a year is only a little over $100.00. Signing up is easy and smartphones are cheap.

Original review: June 15, 2018

For $90 a year you get 2500 minutes, texting, internet, all the bells and whistles. No contract, can add minutes anytime you like. You actually speak to a human if you need help and no waiting.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I don't spend a lot of time on my phone - so Tracfone plans - which lets me pay as I go - work perfectly for me. They have different plans. I usually add about $49 worth several times a year. Bought the phone on QVC.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I enrolled in the auto-refill offer for a discount. When I saw they had charged me $20.99 instead of the advertised $17.99 on my credit card I called the company. They said they had only charged me $17.99. I then called the credit card company, they said they would look into it and I noticed I was refunded $3. I figured the problem was resolved.

Three months later they charged me $20.99 again. I called the credit card company again, and at that time was told Discover had just eaten the $3. I know it is just $3, but it is the principle of the thing. I took print screens of the offer, the window that showed me enrolled before I cancelled and then I cancelled the auto-refill online and then called TracFone for a confirmation of my cancellation. I was told I was no longer enrolled, and I said yes, I just cancelled it. I was told there was no record of me ever being on TracFone. When I tried to bring up the printscreens, they had never completed. I thought I could recover the e-mail informing me of the upcoming autorefill charge, but they had been deleted because AOL only keeps the deleted mails for a certain period. If they think this is a great way to keep customers they are mistaken.

Original review: June 13, 2018

There is no contract & you can do the pay as you go plan but every time I go to renew I get about 250 min for either 60 or 90 days depending on what their offering at the time of renewal unless you want to pay more for more time. I like to keep my cost down to eight dollars a month.

Original review: June 12, 2018

TracFone plan is 99.00 a year with 1200 carry over minutes which comes to less than 8 dollars a month if get bonus. Can get additional year for half price so comes to 5 dollars a month. I have 5,000 total minutes saved that rolls over every year and I'm using phone for emergencies or when travelling... as have landline why accumulated so many units and texting is half unit charge.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I do not recommend this at all. I used the TracFone website to check and see if my Verizon HTC was compatible for me to transfer service from my existing TracFone. The website said it was. I ordered the BYOP kit from them which I did receive super quick. In a previous experience with TracFone customer service, I already knew that calling them to do the phone transfer was a bad idea. The customer service reps will transfer you from one person to another to "better assist you." You have to explain the same thing to a half a dozen different reps. They speak way too quickly for you to understand them, too. I chose to do the activation online which seemed simple enough. Three days later the phone was not activated. I spent almost two hours on the phone with customer service at this point.

I was told everything from the phone was not compatible to Verizon didn't service my area, which is not true, to I owed Verizon money and therefore Verizon wouldn't let them activate it. I've never had a Verizon account until a few days ago. They had me walking around the yard trying to get a signal on a phone that was not activated. Then to beat all, they deactivated the phone I was using saying they had transferred the minutes and the service days to the Verizon phone that they supposedly could not activate. Told me I had to call Verizon and work out my problem with the Verizon phone (I still haven't figured out exactly what Verizon was supposed to do) or wait for a new SIM card to come in the mail to reactivate my old phone. I blew up. I cancelled the service. About three hours later they activated the Verizon phone after they had claimed they couldn't activate it to begin with.

To me this whole ordeal was just plain ridiculous. No way was I going to keep the service after all that. Having to deal with their customer service is too much of a hassle. I removed the TracFone sim and threw it away. Called Verizon (as they suggested) and now have Verizon prepaid service with no problems. Then a few days ago, TracFone sent me an email and asked me to review my BYOP SIM card purchase with them, and then refused to post my review today saying it didn't meet their guidelines. They just didn't want to post it because it was negative. Shame on them. TracFone needs to invest in some employees who are better able to assist their customers and have better communication skills. Plus if they're not mature enough to handle the negative reviews, then honestly they shouldn't ask for someone to give them their opinion, especially after they provided them with such a bad experience in the first place.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Cheap phone and it does everything on ask it to do. Works on the version network. Use as much or little as you want, never pay for what you don't use.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I was fortunate that when I upgraded to my present Samsung Phone, I also benefited from triple minutes for the life of the phone. I purchased the phone for $89 and received an equivalent of one year of service included. The second year, I paid $99 for a fill up card, which duplicated the same minutes, texts and data I received when I purchased it. What is not used within the year rolls over on the next year's card.

Original review: June 9, 2018

This is not a smart phone since I do not want access to the internet. It is a pay as you go plan and is quite cheap. I only use it for texting and short voice calls. I am not addicted to phones.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Even the most minor problem takes an hour or more to resolve. The customer service reps barely speak English, have no idea what they are doing, and insist on keeping their customers on the phone while they muddle through the unending process of "writing a ticket." I have 2 TracFones, and I just added time to one of my phones, but it was credited to my other phone. After wasting an hour (which is about 25% of the time I just bought), I decided it was cheaper to just buy more minutes instead of trying to get these incompetent fools to correct their mistake. I swear, they are intentionally wasting my time - no one could truly be as stupid as they pretend to be...

Original review: June 8, 2018

Spent over 27 hours on phone still not resolved - Could not sign into account online, the staff had an IQ of maybe a 2 yr old and I am referring to managers also and I was told I would get more time and more minutes for my inconvenience and they offered me 10 min LOL, I would hate to have them to address an envelope for me for I am certain, they are not capable to do so. I have dealt with ignorance however they take 1st prize plus I was hung up on for 9 times. I will be seeking service elsewhere, I was in total shock at how dumb they were. Do not deal with them for they are brain damaged!!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

For people that don't need to have a phone in their hand continually Tracfone provides affordable service. We don't use data and just occasional text, we maintain a landline for most communication. Our cost is slightly over $100 annually to maintain the convenience of cell service when required. Service areas seem comparable to most others, no complaints there.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Whenever I have had a problem, it is like no rush to help me. Once they shut down my husband’s phone instead of transferring my phone no. This time my Sim card is invalid. I called. They said it would take 3-5 days. Called after 5 days and now they say 4-7 days!!! To be without a phone is scary. I will look into another carrier.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Love phone! Received 2 invoices. Called Customer service. Was told they would cancel one order. DID NOT! Received 2 phones. I HAD TO PAY to ship back. I chose 1yr plan with auto refill. Was told by Customer Service price was 118.75. Was billed 125.00 plus tax. Questioned why and was told by Customer Service 118.75 was after 1yr service. Would highly recommend phone but would not do business with TracFone again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

As someone who rarely uses a cell phone the TracFone is a perfect deal. I got a cell phone, 1500 minutes talk time, 1500 text, and the same in date. For me that last a whole year and the total cost was $99.00. Since I only use my phone when I travel this is ideal for me.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I pay $100 for the year. I will have to add maybe $20 for more data. I may have to add for more talk time but not necessarily. I have way more texts than I can use.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I purchased a new TracFone and activated it during Jan 2018. The phone came with 4,500 minutes and 4,500 texts. In addition to those purchased items, my plan allowed me to carry forward any unused minutes and texts from my older phone. I carried forward in excess of 500 minutes and 1200 texts. When my new phone was activated in Jan 2018, I had the following balances over 5,000 minutes and over 5,500 texts. Everything was fine until two weeks ago when the new phone stopped working.

I called customer service, which was in the Philippines. I could barely understand the guy and it took almost an hour what it would have taken an American 15 minutes to understand and do. He agreed the phone was defective and would be replaced under the warranty. He told me it would take four days to receive the box from Fed/EX to send back the defective phone. It has been almost two weeks and I haven't received the box. During my conversation, I explained I still had my old phone that use to be on my TracFone account. And I asked if I could re-activate and use it until the new replacement phone arrived. He said it would be no problem. Prior to activating the old phone, he looked at my account and we agreed I had approximately 4,300 minutes, 5,400 texts, and 2.6 GB of data. I gave him the activation info he requested and he activated the phone.

I tried to make a call using the activated phone and I was told I needed to add minutes to my account in order to make calls. I told the TracFone representative this and he checked his files. Ten minutes later, he told me I didn't have but 300 minutes. I told him that's absurd. I reminded him not more than ten minutes ago he confirmed I had in excess of 4,300 minutes. In a dumbfounded manner, he tried to tell me those were the only minutes loss assurance would put on the account. I told him that was totally unsatisfactory and that the TracFone database had showed (only minutes earlier) I had approximately 4,300 minutes, 5,400 texts, and 2.6 GB of data. He said he couldn't explain it but I was only to be given 300 minutes no texts and no data.

After additional calls to TracFone customer service in the Philippines and Honduras, someone told me to call a Miami, where TracFone's corporate headquarters is located. Over several days, I pleaded with several people. They eventually restored to my account: 3,600 minutes, 5,000 text, and 2.6 GB of data. They thought I would jump up and click my heels. But I was just as pissed as before. By giving me back 90% of what they stole from me, they wanted me to say "thank you." Instead, I was even more enraged. They continued to tell me some department said I was only entitled to what they gave me and they could find no record of me having the balances I said were on my account prior to activating the phone. I told them that was a lie; that for purposes of regulatory compliance they must track in their records customer balances or deposits.

Within their database are my accurate account balances and they refused to access this info to correctly restore my account balance. I told them this is nothing but theft and I won't stand for it. In good faith I purchased minutes from TracFone. In bad faith, they are attempting to steal from me by restoring part of what I am entitled. I reminded them that several entities with oversight over this matter: Attorney General of Florida, Miami-Dade Consumer Affairs, Better Business Bureau, Florida Dept. of Professional Regulation, FTC, FCC, etc.

What I will do is collect as many complaints against this company related to stealing minutes from customers. And I'm going to send my data to the agencies noted above as well as find an attorney who believes a class action suit can be brought against TracFone. I believe TracFone routinely does this to customers because 9 of 10 will just angrily walk away. Remember, they initially restored only 300 minutes to my account. If I had not raised hell about it, I would have been stuck with only that.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I'm happy with the convenience being I can add minutes when the phone is low on them. Cards for 200 minutes (total) are only just under twenty dollars.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I ended up with this plan through another phone service I was with. As long as I've been with this plan, I really have no complaints. Really good coverage, good service, and a really good phone.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The phone I have satisfies all my needs. I don't need a cell phone with all the bells and whistles. Only for emergency and connection with my husband.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Remove 10 minutes from my account and tell me you'll call me!!! On May 31st I tried to add 30 minutes to my phone account. I used the Smartphone App MyAccount. I got card declined message. I tried a second time thinking the CVV code was wrong. Normally this is automatic in my App. I call my bank card to see why they were declining the transactions. They said my card was charged twice one right after another (?). I used the online help in the App to ask why? After a long wait and no explanation I was give a code ** and the number 866-806-1840 to call. I asked for the charges to be reversed. I was passed over to another Customer support person. He reversed the transactions with the confirmation #s **. And told it would be 3-5days for the credit to my credit card account.

All this time and effort because your App and servers don’t work? I called 800-867-7183 to ask why the delay and why it happened. By this time my account balance was updated, the two 30 minute charges were removed but my last 10 minutes of voice call time was gone as well. So here I am with no voice call units left and the support person finally offers to upgrade the complaint and “someone will call me”! I pointed out that my phone won’t work because you have removed the 10 minutes from my phone? Today, Friday, I try to log into my account on my phone with the App and the Apps says I don’t have an account. Are you trying to “dump me” because your App does not work? Am I supposed to trust you, your company, in the future? I would like my 10 minutes back, please, before our relationship continues.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I'm not a big cell phone user so I use a TracFone to carry for emergencies, or to call home if I need to check on something. I had minutes every three months for $20.00. The minutes accumulate if not used. It's good for long distance calls.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I've been a long-time TracFone customer and have rolled over minutes, service, and phone numbers multiple times. Today I went from a smartphone to an older slider phone and lost nearly 3000 minutes. They 'CANNOT' give me those minutes back for no apparent reason other than they can't. This is crap - bought and paid for those minutes and it's not indicated on the website that you will lose minutes with certain transactions. The big selling point for TracFone is that the minutes never expire and can be rolled over - I guess not. Very poor customer service!!!

Original review: May 25, 2018

In addition to having only two bars of signal despite living in a big city (Mpls/St.Paul) area, I've already got a laundry list of complaints in the two days I've owned this TracFone. All I wanted was a cheap phone for work purposes, but what I've gotten is a headache which can't be resolved by calling their robotic, nearly automated sounding customer service staff. I followed the phone prompts, entered my credit card info, and was told by their recording that I had purchased 200 minutes of talk time. I tested this TracFone out and even made a few calls. It worked just fine. Then suddenly it I could no longer make calls.

I called customer service using a different phone, waited on hold, and eventually got an agent who told me that my phone wasn't working because I still needed to buy minutes, to which I replied, "I already bought minutes with my credit card. A recording had told me that I had purchased 200 minutes, used 5 of that, and that I was now down to 155 minutes. So yes, I HAVE already paid. In fact, the phone was just working a few minutes ago." She couldn't understand what I was saying. She continued to repeat more and more emphatically, "Sir, you NEED to pay to activate your phone." After making two more attempts to explain in the simplest way possible that I had already paid, I thanked her and decided to try calling again in hopes that I might get someone else who'd understand. To no avail. Different agent, same misunderstanding.

I then attempted to find some other phone number where perhaps a native English speaking person who's paid more than $2 a day could help me, but was told there is no other customer service number for the TracFone Company. After learning that I finally just gave up, and have now decided to try to return the phone.

I'm just hoping I can get a full refund, and that this unprofessional company won't get any of my hard earned money. Hopefully the 30 minutes it took me to write this review will help someone else make a more well-informed purchase. Thanks for letting me share this.

TracFone expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone offers prepaid unlimited and pay-as-you-go plans to customers in the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. It was established in 2008. América Móvil, a Mexican telecommunications company, owns the company. The TracFone family of brands also includes Net10, Straight Talk and SafeLink.

• Refer-A-Friend: Current TracFone customers can earn cash when they refer friends who purchase and activate a phone from TracFone.com. When new customers use the link sent to them by an existing customer to make a purchase, the existing customer can receive up to $30.

• Text support: Both existing customers and interested consumers can get answers to their questions about TracFone via text message. They can simply text HELP to 611611. They can also get fast answers by texting specific words, listed on the company’s website, to that number.

• Value Plans: TracFone’s Value Plans are monthly plans that automatically bill customers and add a certain number of minutes to their phone. Customers do not pay an activation fee to set up these plans, and there is no charge for canceling their service.

• International: Customers can receive up to three local, Mexican numbers that will call through to TracFone customers in the United States. This feature means international callers will not be charged long distance fees for calling friends and family in the United States.

• Accident protection: TracFone customers can add an accident protection plan to their phone so they can replace it if it is accidently damaged. The company offers two protection plans.

• Best for: TracFone is best for temporary users, non-cell phone users and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs