TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

2.8/5 (185 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

Top TracFone Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using Tra...

Verified

What is TracFone Wireless?

TracFone is a nationwide prepaid cell phone service. It lets customers keep their existing phones and numbers. Customers in the market for a new phone can browse the large inventory of name-brand phones, including LG, Samsung, Motorola and Apple. TracFone phones can be purchased at a discounted rate, and shipping is free.

Some plans can be set to refill automatically, while others require manual refills online or at a TracFone location. Customers can add extra features to their plans, such as global calling or additional minutes, text and data.

Other features that can be added to a basic plan include lost and stolen phone coverage and mobile protection. These services act as insurance in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

TracFone offers a wide selection of name brand phones, many of which are great for kids and seniors.

TracFone Wireless plans

TracFone Wireless offers a variety of plans at different price points. Some of the most popular plans are:

Length of planMinutes/textDataMonthly price*
30 daysUnlimited3 GB$30
30 daysUnlimited2 GB$25
365 days1500/15001.5 GB$125
60 days750/10001.0 GB$35
30 days500/500500 MB$15

*At the time of publishing

Many plans are $5 to $10 cheaper than the listed price when you sign up for auto-refill. If you want to add global calling or more minutes and texts, you can purchase add-ons. TracFone Wireless also offers student discounts.

TracFone Wireless has plans for smartphones and basic phones and plans designed for people who talk and text more than they browse the internet or stream music. Basic phone plans range from $10 to $100 a month, and smartphone plans range from $15 to $125.

Customers can use their compatible phones with TracFone Wireless or purchase one through the company. Customers can purchase basic flip phones for $20, older Galaxy phones for $30 and iPhone 7s for $240 along with many other phone options at different price points.

How much does a one-year TracFone card cost?

The one-year smartphone plan costs $125 at the time of publishing. This is a one-time purchase that covers your wireless service for 365 days. The auto-refill price is $118 at the time of publishing. With this plan you receive:

• 1500 minutes
  • 1500 texts
  • 1.5 GB of data at 4G LTE Speed
  • No contracts

Customers can purchase refill cards at Walmart and Target, over the phone or at one of the 70,000 TracFone locations nationwide.

TracFone Wireless FAQ

What network is TracFone?
TracFone Wireless uses a mobile virtual network operator that includes Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation and U.S. Cellular.
Is there an unlimited plan for TracFone?
Yes. The StraightTalk service offers 30 MB of data and unlimited calls and texts for $45 per month.
Does TracFone Wireless charge for Wi-Fi?
No. As long as your phone is active and has Wi-Fi capabilities, there is no charge.
What is TracFone Wireless compatible with?
TracFone Wireless will work on GSM Unlocked phones, AT&T-compatible phones, T-Mobile-compatible phones, Verizon-compatible phones and some CDMA Technology-compatible phones.
What is TracFone’s coverage area?
TracFone has extensive coverage on the East Coast of the county and central states, with less coverage in the mountain states and on the West Coast.

Is TracFone legit?

Yes. TracFone Wireless is a trusted and reliable cell phone provider that lets people stay connected without signing long-term contracts. Its affordable monthly plans offer basic features and are ideal for those who do not use their phones all the time.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I had just become one of the top sellers for the company I worked with and thought I could get by without having to have a cellphone. I was tired of making sure no one stole the cell antenna off the Mercedes... It was ridiculous and costly, monthly bills sometimes would run well over a $1000 bucks. And if you weren't on time with your payment, your service was off the very next day. If you're a salesman, or anyone in any profession and you value your reputation and business, the sound of a sterile robotic female voice stating "sorry, but this number is temporarily disconnected" can be a devastating one. It could kill a sale, or cause a major client to brake off that first appointment you finally scheduled. You may never get a second chance.

I was going to let that happen to me. I saw where Tracfone offered a prepaid plan that involved only a few hundred minutes, but the main thing was that the prepaid card also gave you 365 days of service. Back then I listened to a lot of talk radio while I was in the car. I mostly made my calls from the office, so even if I ran out of minutes, I would still have voice mail to pick up any calls from anyone trying to reach me, and I would know they had called because it still showed up on the phone. If I was out of minutes, I would just return the call as soon as I could, and the best part was that once you bought another card you would 90 days, not just thirty.

Right now, today, as I write this one of my Tracfones will remain in service, even if I run out of minutes, and make no calls, I would still have service through the rest of 2022, and I think until April of 2023. So if you're starting out in your professional life, you couldn't have a better partner in business. Every time I have had to call customer service they were ALWAYS able to handle my problems, and did so politely and expertly. My only problem with them is that they haven't asked me to do a television commercial for them yet. Good luck out there... join Tracfone.

Sincerely,

William **
President

ECommerce California, Inc.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

Started with Tracfone back in the day when everyone had limits on their accounts. Was afraid about running out of minutes on a weekend and the store would be closed. Saw a Tracfone card/chip in a 24-hour convenience store and thought it may be a solution. Put it in my phone and never looked back. I like the roll-over, I use the year plan. I also like when I get a new phone, I just move the chip from my old phone to the new phone and don't have to change my number or start over. I presently have the Tracfone sim chip in my Apple 13 Pro Max. I have not had any problems with dropped calls or loss of service. A rep from one of the bigger companies tried to sell me service and I told them what I have and the price they said they couldn't beat it.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

This is a reseller of AT&T service so it's very good service. BUT... When you switch or update your cell phone you start over. They say they carry over your minutes but it NEVER works out that way. Your data resets to ZERO. So you have to start over and if you have bought a yearly plan then you just have to buy it again. But it still is the cheapest yearly plan I have found.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

This phone is much less expensive than the big names, but it has all the features that I need/want. It takes nice pix and it is generally easy to operate. I use the speaker feature regularly to make the sound loud enough that I can hold the phone away from my ears. I use the flashlight when I move from the living room to the bedroom at the end of day. I like this LG phone and would recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I love TracFone Wireless. I pay $30 for 3 months of service. The TracFones I usually purchase costs less than $75 and lasts about 3 yrs. The voice and connectivity coverage is great locally and nationally and I don't call internationally so I don't know about that. I get enough talk/text to last more than 3 months. The internet and camera functions are pretty good and voice calls sound is great. This is "the David communication" in a land of Goliaths. Great deal.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Twenty five year customer from the start of this service, now for the last two weeks attempting to contact the company about a phone that was supposed to be sent to me due to the 3G service shutdown. Every call over five hours on hold, being transferred from one person to the next only to be disconnected multiple times and have to begin the process over again. No issues with this service till now, and feel there is a coupe that is beginning to steal all airtime from their customers and shut down the company and file bankruptcy. No response on any channel for customer service, chats, website, or customer service, Today alone over four and a half hours on the phone to no avail, Still no satisfaction, taking my business elsewhere. After all my years of loyalty to this company, this is how I am treated. I would run for the hills from this company, Totally unprofessional and nontransparent. Use another service, this is a scam at this point.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

For years I was happy with Tracfone, until they made me give up the flip phone and get a smartphone, which they sold me super-cheap. BUT I found out there isn't enough signal strength where I live for a smartphone, so it only works if I'm in a city half an hour away. I tried to switch to another provider, but I need Tracfone to unlock my phone... And they've given me one delay and excuse after another, blaming it on the manufacturer. In the first place they should've verified that the smartphone would work in my area, and now they should expedite the unlocking. Beware, consumers!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Hacked phone number taking seven days plus to get back. (Still waiting.) My phone number was hacked and sent to metro PCS. My carrier is TracFone wireless which I went through Simple mobile. It’s been seven days now and no one seems to be able to contact MetroPCS to have my phone number released so I can use my phone again. This is very frustrating and simply not acceptable. My email was also hacked through my Yahoo. It took them approximately 30 minutes to get this straightened out. I would never ever ever recommend TracFone Wireless or Simple Mobile Service. It just seems like they don’t care. Horrible customer service.

I call every day. Tell me they’re working on it and most of the time when they go to send me to a different part of the company they end up hanging up on me. I’ve called approximately 10 times to get this resolved with no results. This company is totally useless. I signed up with simple mobile because they had a good payment plan but it looks like you get what you pay for no stores in the area for simple mobile or tracfone. This is just absolutely horrible.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I sent a Samsung 5G back to Tracfone because it died. (Screen showed an odd checkered pattern and then went completely dead.) I bought the phone in Sept and it died in Dec. Using the UPS tracking number, I can see that tracfone has received the phone a week ago. I have called them four times and they have the same story. "You will receive a new phone in 3 to 5 days after receiving an email with the return tracking number." BUT I NEVER RECEIVE THE EMAIL OR PHONE. (I can see from other reviews that this is a constant theme with tracfone. It is obvious that they will not replace their guaranteed phones in any kind of timely manner.)

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

TracFone made it easy to upgrade from our AT&T GoPhone ZTE "for medical use only" Snail whose signal was weak even inside an "AT&T service" hospital tower in Houston. EX was important that day, since changing the battery resulted in a fire but contacts had been saved off-phone. All upgrades in phone & AT&T are impressive at first but soon the One Year deal began to reveal its ugly side. Pay me more for texting, then data. We were in ER when texting ran OUT! No Notice! No gas gauge! NO ACCOUNTING HISTORY to shop a better plan, just PAY ME MORE ... YOU RAN OUT. Even the paranoid that checks BALANCE/"USAGE" (the only watchdog they offer 611611) weekly or monitors the phone usage counts will be SHORTED "benefits" when in dire trouble (e.g. our ER experience).

BTW when I FINALLY got a real person on the phone, he found the TracFone office mistake and fixed it, since we really did have plenty of "benefits"!?!? When data ran out yesterday, their website was flooded and an hour down the drain trying to buy more data, new plan, whatever. No human on phone and finally got done via the phone itself!?!? The hurdle asking for a PIN (look back of card insanity) was cause for murder, since I had already changed that PIN and confirmed it many times prior = NOT WORKING. Leaving some minutes & texting behind, I prematurely changed plan to the $199 = $220.20 w/TT&L to gain unlimited texting & minutes. I see some criticism of the 12GB data limit for this year plan but data for me is only emergencies or no convenient WiFi nearby in a pinch, so not a problem - data I get on desktop.

Throughout this saga, I was routed to the Philippines for "support" UGH. Mario decided to eat a sandwich to slow up this typing to worms' pace, then made his job easy by changing the topic, sending me somewhere else (that was not working), limit his solutions to 2, then hung up on CHAT. The next one "A" was more in tune with my cause but no usage history, no contact to get one, no history to prove a) I was shorted again, b) the plan I selected will serve well with no outages for the full year. I hate cell phones, medical needs force me to carry one so am not the prudent shopper of such like my buddies. I'll find a better deal someday if not blessed with being able to throw all cells in the ocean.

TracFone Wireless Company Information