TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.5/5 (540 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: May 20, 2021

We had a simple Tracfone for 13 years. We had to turn it in at one point and get a new one, but recently Tracfone told us they were no longer supporting that phone. So we foolishly decided to get two new, inexpensive smartphones which had what we needed (not a lot of fancy gizmos). Oh my lord! I spent nine days and many hours trying to get the phone to work with no luck. Then my husband tried to get his phone to work, no such luck. Now they want me to sign up for some smartphone service (never sign up for any monthly charges online for anything!), so my next request will be for a prepaid return label. This company is not able to help you get your phone working, though many of the people who work for them are pleasant (one assured us there is coverage in our area). I wish we could get **, but they don't have coverage in our area.

Original review: March 10, 2021

Yesterday I bought a sim kit and a 500 min. card. I have an unlocked phone that they said was compatible with their network.. After 4 hours working with them it still did not have a working phone. They said they would fix it and give them 15 min. / restart the phone and they would call me back in an hour... No callback. Did not work so I called them. They said the sim and min. were being used by another phone and for me to go buy another set of cards. Big ripoff.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

We signed up for unlimited talk and text for $15.00 monthly with autopay. They switched it to 500 minute on the day we signed up without notifying us. When you call them you get someone that talks in circles, won't answer a direct question and is extremely difficult to understand. Depending on which agent you talk to there is a different reason why it happened. One of the reasons was that they have different affiliate carriers and they may have offered us something that TracFone doesn't offer which doesn't make sense. Another told to us by 2 different agents was that that price was only offered for 3 months. Two others said it was only offered for 2 months.

We only had the plan 1 month and didn't explain why it was changed at sign-up and we weren't told. They are now charging us at the higher rate and it will increase again either in 1, 2 or 3 months. It's definitely a case of bait and switch. We have all the original documentation but they said they have no way of receiving those documents from us. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Wanted to replace my old iPhone, thought I'd try a Motorola from Tracfone Wireless. They sent the phone. The online sign in and activate wouldn't work, so I called... it seems that it was loaded, by TracFone, with the incorrect SIM card installed which was only discovered after 2 hours and three 'tech' people. They finally returned my phone # to the old phone and promised a replacement SIM card in 7-10 days. Very apologetic, very polite, hard to understand. I'll go with a real telecom in the future.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I had been happy for years with Tracfone. Mostly use it for texting. They removed the add-on feature that let you buy 1000 additional texts for $5....Now, if you use all your texts in your plan year, you must buy a monthly service plan that costs a minimum of $15 or $20 per month. This change was made in the middle of my current annual service term.. Believe me, texts go quickly, and I've used all 1500 texts four months into my annual term. Be very careful what you pay for with Tracfone. Hidden costs make this $100 phone now cost over $300 for the year..

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I signed up with Tracfone because a friend had it and liked the service. However, I've had nothing but problems. I signed up on January 11 and purchased a SIM card and 2 service plans. The agent said that my phone was compatible with the IMEI # I provided. I paid $36.00. When I inserted the SIM card, it was NOT compatible. Then I needed to spend another $57 to purchase a new phone and you could not purchase a new phone without purchasing another service plan. I tried to get the 2 service plans transferred to my phone, but they said they couldn't do it nor could they refund the $36.00. Unreal. Tracfone told me to cancel my service provider to port my phone number. I canceled and was without phone coverage for 5 whole days because Tracfone took that long to port my phone number.

When my number was finally ported 5 days later, I could NOT receive incoming calls. I had to use someone's phone to call Tracfone so that I could receive incoming calls. I spent a total of six hours over 4 days and I still could NOT receive incoming calls. When you call my phone it goes straight to voicemail and the call doesn't show up under recents. When I go to check my voicemail and put my pin number in, it says, "wrong pin!!!!" I've had the same phone number and pin for 21 years!!!! So currently I cannot receive incoming calls and I am so frustrated.

Yesterday I was on the phone with an agent for 1 and one-half hours. He had me reset my phone to factory settings, which I did and he tried calling me and it didn't work. He told me if I got disconnected he would call me back. We did get disconnected and he didn't call me back. So here I am with a phone but I still CANNOT receive incoming calls OR check my voicemail. When I called Tracfone about my pin, she said, "You need your old pin number to change it!!!" I am so frustrated. Please be aware of this company... I am definitely getting a new phone company. This review was written on January 25, 2021.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Tracfone is the first and only cell phone service I have ever had up to today. I have had it!! I have 4000 minutes but I am leaving. They have disconnected me 3 times. I give them a good cc #, they use it for a few months and then for some reason the computer goes back to an old cc#, they do not get paid and then without notice they disconnect me. No one speaks English. This AM they said their computer was not working and I was unable to get any customer service at all. I am tired of being an abused customer. I will lose my 4000 minutes but it is worth it. I wonder if because I am a low use customer that maybe they want me gone.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

My cell phone suddenly began to show another person's name on the recipient's caller ID. I called Tracfone's chat line, and after several minutes and rebooting the phone as suggested, the rep said I needed to talk to a "higher department" and she scheduled a callback for 9:00 pm tonight. As I suspected, the call never came. This same thing happened at least three times when I called on another issue several months ago. This is a serious issue. If I called someone during an emergency and they saw a name they did not recognize, they would probably not answer the call.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

My 85 year old grandfather purchased a phone from someone in his assisted living facility, but did not understand that the phone is locked, and since he has Tmobile, he was unable to use the phone. I called to get the phone unlocked, and apparently since it was not active for 12 months, this isn't possible. I tried to speak with a supervisor to see if there was anything that could be done, an exception, special approval, something, and I was put through the ringer, and lied to. Worst customer service ever.

Here is what I went through: Call 1- confirmed could unlock after checking in system, but the rep said there was a long wait for the unlocking department, so I said I'd call back. Call 2- went through the whole process again, was transferred to unlocking who said the phone could not be unlocked despite the initial rep saying it could be. I requested to be transferred to a supervisor, was transferred to a line that simply rings forever, no one ever answered. Call 3- requested to be transferred to a supervisor, again rings forever, no one ever answered. Call 4- transferred again to a supervisor, line hangs up after 2 rings. Also asked the initial rep for a direct number for the unlocking department which the representative claimed didn't exist, which I later found on your website... blatantly lied.

Call 5- request a call back through chat, callback set for 10 min later, I hit 1 to accept, and the call hung up. Call 6- requested for the second time through chat, got a callback. Rep said I would receive a callback from a supervisor from the unlocking department which did not happen. Transferred to unlocking, requested a supervisor. After holding for 5 minutes, the line went to busy signal. Appalling.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

Beware of this company if you travel to and from US. You cannot access your account once you leave the US. You can't access it online if your ISP is outside of the US as well. I was trying to top up my account and they block all isp's outside the US. Last minute now I am looking to port my US number because I have it for my special needs brother when we visit the US.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I spent 15 plus hours on the phone with these jerks trying to get my new phones activated. Talked with 14 different people to transfer my phone over to the new network and new phones they had sent me in that time went through all the activations time and time again yet nothing. These morons don't know a damn thing. Stay away from them as far as you can, their customer support and tech stinks.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I was a Tracfone customer for almost a decade without issue. Recently, I needed a new phone, so purchased a (supposedly) new J7Crown for $69.99. I was sent a refurbished phone (cost $39.99). I called and spoke to a manager who agreed the phone was used. He told me to send it back, with a FedEx label they provided, and they would send me a new one. I sent the phone back. They not only sent me another refurbished phone -- which was not even in a Tracfone box, but instead a white cardboard box with a huge REFURBISHED sticker on it, with the pamphlets just thrown inside.

I called for a refund. It was the seventh time I called. And just as many other reviewers stated, I got the run-around for an entire week of having to call India and getting absolutely nowhere, with several rude customer service reps, to boot. I am disgusted with this company and will NEVER do business with them again. I guess they think because they're not in the US, they can get away with ripping us off. Well I am here to tell you to NEVER do business with Tracfone -- they are THIEVES with no business ethics and no morals -- horrendous and horrible!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

This company took my money, took my order, then sent me a message that I never placed an order. I talked for over 2 hours with call centers, so that they could tell me to call my bank. Now I have to report a fraudulent charge to my bank, tomorrow, and I'm out the money that I need to order my kids Christmas presents. They stole my money and told me it's my problem. BEWARE, THIS COMPANY IS A DISASTER!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy A20 smartphone from TracFone two months ago. Immediately out of the box the phone's software wasn't working properly. From day one I called for tech support on an average of 3+ hours a day for several days. Some of the issues were resolved and some were not. After 4 days of back and forth calls I gave up and dealt with the issues....basically, ignored the other issues. Today my phone started acting up again. Another software issue. I called TracFone again and spent 3.5 hours trying to resolve the issue, to no avail again.

I was told by TracFone that they couldn't fix it and that because it is still under manufacturer's warranty that I need to call Samsung, which is what I did. Upon calling Samsung for support I was advised that they could not help me because they have a "contract" with TracFone whereas they (Samsung) are not obligated to fix phones under warranty and that I need to call TracFone. In all I have spent over 4.5 hours on the phone making a total of 6 phone calls back and forth between TracFone and Samsung. TracFone pushes responsibility on Samsung and back-n-forth.

I asked TracFone to replace the phone since it is still under warranty. They refused. I paid $180.00 for this phone just 10 weeks ago and now I'm stuck with a lemon. No one wants to help. This is so wrong. I am a disabled senior citizen on a fixed income and cannot afford to throw away $180.00. This should not be happening with a major carrier and manufacturer. I have a phone under full warranty but no one will fix it or replace it. Shame on them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

On November 6, 2020, I paid for another 365 days that included 1500 minutes/1500 texts/1500 MB data. This plan costs $125 + tax. I used a promo code to take $50 off the $125. The order confirmation that I printed showed $80.77. Three days later I logged into my Tracfone account and it showed that they charged my credit card $134.62 And my credit card company showed a pending charge for $134.62. My mom had the same thing happen two years ago. She used a $15 promo code but ended up being charged the full amount. This sort of cheating has never ever happened with any other company. Once I confirm a purchase, the amount is always the same. I initiated a dispute with my credit card company. Tracfone are cheats. Beware.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

This is a terrible company. I accidentally paid my bill for 3mths for a 1mth plan. Can't get reimbursed. Passes you through multiple agents just to hang up on you. Representative will take your credit card information and commit fraud. They will take your monthly payment but never turn your phone back on either.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Returned an unused/unactivated phone and service plan purchased directly from TracFone. The Tracfone CS Rep. in the Philippines acknowledged the company's receipt of the phone and she told me a credit was issued to my Amer. Express credit card account. What was not credited was the NY State Sales Tax! She stated it was not Tracfone's policy to return sales tax paid for returns. This was a first for me for ANY return to any retailer. Tracfone does not make it easy or desirable to do business with them especially with their customer service group located in Asia. As always, "Let the buyer beware!"

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

As advertised on eBay, I purchased a $29.99 BYOP Sim card and combo airtime package consisting of 1200 airtime minutes, 1200 text messages and 3 gigs of data from Tracfone. Received sim card starter kit on 10/17/2020. Per instructions loaded sim card and documented all information required to activate service. During the next step of activation, I was asked, do you have an airtime pin OR do you need to purchase a plan. I never received an airtime card or pin with my package. I was under the assumption that all airtime, text and data would be loaded on sim card and automatically activate.

I researched online and I was amazed to find all the complaints that had been made concerning the same problem I had with the same purchase on ebay. I immediately requested a return and was sent via email a return slip from ebay. No way was I going to pay $30.00 for a $1.00 sim card. Normally before I purchase a product I do extensive research and look at reviews. I've never had any problems with purchases from ebay so I figured this purchase was legitimate. Failed to do my homework and got burned. I have been a Tracfone customer in the past and planned on returning but due to this scam, they have lost my business forever.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Not sure why this company advertises 'rollover minutes' when they are useless (well, to me anyway.) Tello is no longer pay-as-you-go, so I thought I'd check TracFone out. I figured I'd pay for the lowest plan ($15 for 500 min/text/data). I hardly use my phone at all, so I thought I'd pay for the plan and refill when I needed to. Nope, you have to purchase an air card every 30/60/90 days (whichever one you chose) in my case 30 days, which makes it a monthly plan. It would take me around 5 months to use the amount of service on the $15 card, which means I just rack up minutes I don't use and they expire in 6 months. What a pointless waste. I'd say this service is NOT for users with very limited needs.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

My account totals are inaccurate, balance states 0, have over one thousand minutes. Currently in dispute, however unable to use phone. So, I tried to purchase a Talk Add on Card. Currently the talk add-on card is only available on the Tracfone website in the add-on section. However it is not. My phone is in limbo. Requested customer service return a call after 20 min on hold. Sent a link to 611. My customer service experience is like a fireman trying to put out a fire by peeing on it. The analogy is spot on, they don't have a one half a star because they are not dissatisfied till you are dissatisfied! I'm dissatisfied!!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

They have website that has byop (bring your own phone). I need it through food stamps Florida access and they don't send free Tracfone to anyone except medicare and native Americans. Byop costs $59.00 to unlock phone from MetroPCS. It's not free. Or purchase a tracfone! It's not free. The government needs to drop Safelink tracfone and create a new nonprofit service provider. Ban tracfone for false advertising. Not free! From Florida Access!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

In July, I ordered a new phone for my dad through TracFone's website. The chat rep assured me that everything would transfer from his old phone to the new-to-him iPhone. When I went to set up the new phone, I had to call in to their customer service line. The person there told me that the number would NOT transfer and that his contacts also wouldn't transfer. I was on the phone for at least an hour and finally got a supervisor who was able to transfer the number to the new phone. In addition, the directions for installing the new SIM card were confusing and not accurate.

THEN, yesterday MY older TracFone locked up and I was unable to unlock it (it was asking for a Google account login). I was on the line with customer "service" for a half hour. The person kept asking the same questions over and over and clearly did not understand what I was telling him. Eventually, he transferred me to the "unlock department." On hold again. The person who answered informed me that her department was for unlocking a phone so it could be used with a different carrier! I asked for a supervisor who was able to tell me how to do a factory reset on my phone so it would work. I lost all of my contacts and texts, by the way.

The service itself is not good. It often takes three or four tries to make a call. No error or anything (system busy, etc.), just nothing. Lots of dropped calls. Texts can sometimes take up to a half hour to come through (confirmation codes from websites, for example). I live in a rural area with not-good coverage and a cell phone is useful only for texting or when traveling. TracFone is really one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with when it comes to customer service and having really ill-trained and incompetent people providing support to their customers.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

TracFone's shipping department does not follow instructions. I have request new SIM cards on four occasions. I provided the name of my agency and the address. But before shipping, they look at an address database and substitute the information in the database. The packages are now undeliverable. When confronted with the problem, their response is "we are following procedure." But the procedure is not working. "We are following procedure."

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Received notice that I need to buy a new phone on August 22, 2020 for phone purchased from Walmart back in April 2020 because of network changes they knew about for several months before April. This is wrong as the phones shouldn't of been available to be purchased knowing they would soon be obsolete.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Absolutely worst customer service ever!!! Support doesn't know how to fix any issues. Their answer to everything is turn your phone off the turn it back on. Every time they transfer you to a supposed higher level of support you get disconnected. They promise that they are sending you a new SIM card several times that never arrives because apparently everything requires you to change SIM cards. (I was with AT&T for years and never changed SIM cards once)

I signed up in May 5, 2020, the phone still doesn't work and it's August 22, 2020 and by doesn't work I MEAN NO SERVICE! I can't make or receive any calls, no internet, no text. My phone is now a brick!!! I own a consulting company and lost significant business because of this. Worst is I can't get my number back which I've had for years and is out to several hundred clients. Eduardo Corona - TracFone's CEO should have some secret shoppers investigate this. He'd be appalled at what he finds.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

Had Tracfone service for years and I replaced the phone last year. Now every time I hit the dial button, the screen goes black. Nothing, on off switch, swiping, tapping, etc will make it turn back on. Sometimes 30-45 minutes. Hours on line with customer service and the only thing they recommend is that I buy another one of their defective phones. Phones seems to work fine except when I have to make a call. But I am charged for the minutes, 20-30 at a time while I'm connected to someone where I can't disconnect, can't see, can't hear. "Buy a new phone, they say". I can't be the only one with this problem. Not on your life will I buy anything from them again.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I purchased a plan for my son, it didn't activate. I called to inquire about the failure. I was told the phone was not compatible. They told me I would receive a refund. Four calls, five chats later (All Saved) and I'm told nothing they can do to help me! They stole his money and refuse to return it! Thieves and liars! Stay away from them at all costs.

Original review: July 14, 2020

After being a Tracfone happy customer for years I had to buy a new phone after my two year old phone memory didn't work anymore. So I upgraded to a Motorola Moto G7 6.2" HD+ with 32GB of built-in memory that I bought 5/6/2020 thru HSN on sale for $99.99 including 1500 minutes. After a couple of weeks I could not make phone calls. I called Customer Service and after talking to about 7 or 8 persons during different days, waiting for a new SIM card, and losing all my data I was told I need to return the phone because it could not be fixed. When I asked if I needed to return it to HSN I was told it will be faster if I returned it to them (Tracfone) and that I will get a return label in an e-mail. That's when the FUN started! I never received a return label, instead after a week I got a FedEx envelope with instructions and I returned my $99.99 phone.

About two weeks later I received a Moto E6 with 16GB memory that is listed in their website for $39.99!!!! When I called to complain a manager told me among other excuses that WHEN YOU RETURN AN USED PHONE YOU CAN'T NOT GET THE SAME MODEL BACK EVEN IF IT STILL IS UNDER WARRANTY. Besides, she said, my model was not available, was out of stock. I insisted that I wanted at least one with the same amount of memory as the Moto G7 and she agreed to send me an XT1925. I decided to check Tracfone web page to see what model the XT was and guess what: The Moto G7 was advertised ON STOCK in the web page!!!! To make this story shorter: I managed to talk to somebody in the Corporate Office in Miami who I understood. Said I will be getting a Moto G7 within a week. Guess what did I get today: ANOTHER Moto E6!!!!

Reading some of the latest reviews here I can see that Tracfone is not the company it used to be. I wish I didn't have over 2,000 minutes paid for (not counting the 1,500 that came with the new phone) or I will be looking for another cell phone co. I will be calling the Miami Corporate Office tomorrow and I hope I will be able to update this review with better comments at some point.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I was with Tracfone for years and was perfectly content... until I tried to trade in my fliptop for a smartphone. After four days and at least ten hours on the phone with techies, they concluded the smartphone I'd bought was defective. But they couldn't transfer me back to my fliptop, allegedly because Tracfone had switched carriers after I bought it (a friend assures me that's bull). And when I tried to get compensation for the nearly 900 minutes I had left with two months to go, I got disconnected twice from the "billing department." Nor have they responded to a letter of complaint sent to company HQ two weeks ago. Needless to say, I'll never use or recommend Tracfone again.

Original review: July 7, 2020

My package was delivered to a wrong address. When I was trying to contact Tracfone using online chat, I was kicked between different departments. For each time, I have to repeat the reason I call, my phone number, and my email address. Finally, they set up a call back for me because the shipping department does not have online chat. During the callback, I have to wait for the next available agent. Then the agent tell me that the order was cancelled for ** reason. Sorry I could not understand the reasons because the guy has a very thick accent that I can barely understand. My first-time purchase from Tracfone, and definitely my last time. I don't believe that Tracfone can provide any quality service.

TracFone Wireless Company Information