TracFone
1.55/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

TracFone Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2295 TracFone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I have had TracFone for 10 years and loaded phone with 120 minutes which doubles with my phone but did not double. Called "customer service" to resolve problem but got their talking points and would not double. Asked for manager and was told same, won't double and hung up on me. Called back and asked to be transferred to U.S. customer service and was refused and hung up on me. Goodbye TracFone and 1 star is too many!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have been using TracFone for several years now and have not had any issues with them. I originally purchased a phone from HSN and have updated my phone every year with a new one and minutes thru them.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have never had a problem with TracFone, very helpful. When I ran out of minutes I was able to buy more airtime and add it in right on my phone with no problems at all. But some of their customer support representative have an accent which makes them hard to understand, frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Been w/o my cell for a month, trying to transfer landline to my TracFone. 4th call & 55 mins waiting for supervisor because I can't understand rep's bad English. 45 mins waiting for supervisor who never answered. S/B 0 rating.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I bought a new phone, didn't work, customer service was a joke. Exchanged it for another, didn't work. After hours on the phone with customer service trying to work out an exchange of mins. Decided to forget them and went somewhere else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I called and asked if my phones were compatible. I was told they both were. I called Sprint and got them to unlock the phones. I purchased the necessary kit to transfer service and the problems are still continuing months later. Randomly, phone service doesn't work unless you restart the phone. Data has to constantly be turned off when you have wifi access and off when you don't, very annoying. Picture mail doesn't work (although it did work very briefly). I'm now told my working, activated phones are not compatible. Live chat kept threatening to disconnect if there was no response after 60 seconds although I was responding and doing what I was asked, like restarting the phone which obviously takes a few minutes.

When I requested a call, I was promised a callback. When I got the call, I spoke with the rep for a few minutes, explained the issue and was told to hold for 2 minutes. 30 minutes later, I hung up. I was never given a follow up call. I've been to Walmart at least 6 times over the past few months, there is only one person that that is helpful. The others have no idea what they are doing and they just tell you to call customer service. Walmart is also like a fort so there is no reception in there.

Overall, it's been a really bad experience. I have this service for my children because I don't want to commit to a plan for children and even in the situation, it's unbearable. I really don't believe the networks are an issue. They are working with the top 4 networks, it's the uneducated staff. They're borderline rude and aren't the least bit concerned with helping to resolve the customer issues.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

TracFone fits my needs. I buy 120 minutes (they triple that amount) for 29.00 every three months and I have lots of data and texting. Although I still have a landline, I take my cell with me and use it a lot outside my home.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Original bought my TracFone when my parents (both in their 80’s) so that they could get in touch with me. It was a basic cell phone. Every year I would buy the one year service card for $100. I didn’t use the phone much and the minutes (200 I think) lasted me an entire year.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After buying a TracFone from my local CVS in Columbia SC, I tried to activate it for TracFone to tell me there's no service coverage in my area. Question, why is the phone being sold in this area then? So now I'm out of my money for the service plan (because it's non refundable) and I'm returning the phone. I would give it a no star rating but I had to chose one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Got an email from TracFone of 30 bonus minutes if I renewed with a 60 minutes card. It said it was good for 30 days. Entered my PIN and the bonus number, it would not accept the number. Called TracFone and was told the number had expired. Asked about another bonus number I got on my phone one day earlier. They told me it was used 5 day ago. This also happened last year when they sent me bonus code - it was no good. TracFone bonus minutes are fraudulent!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I recently had to call TracFone customer service about unauthorized charges on my card and had a very awful experience. I was transferred four times and was told they can't help me and hung up on me. They double charged me without my authorization and then they claimed that I did it on my phone app. I couldn't renew it on my phone, that is the reason I had to call the customer service and they made the charges. I didn't realize until a few days later when I called my bank that I was charged twice, but they told me I did it on my phone app and since there was usage already on my phone, they couldn't refund me, how absurd!

I use my phone every day and I did not authorize anyone to charge my card twice. The last customer service who claimed to be a Senior Manager was very rude. I will not renew my service after my minutes run out, will find me another company. NEVER TRACFONE AGAIN, they need to learn some manners and learn how to provide better customer service.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I transferred my land number to my TracFone that I hardly used and had 4629 minutes plus 3.27 GB of data and SMS: 5455. And after transferring my number they only gave me 1280 minutes and 1.25 GB data and SMS:1280. I have spent hours over this week trying to remedy the problem... Have been promised the return of my minutes but they have not done so. I am so angry with TracFone company. They have stolen minutes and stolen my time and wellbeing. I am over the top angry with how they have handled this and so easily dismiss my concern. I want my minutes and data RETURNED!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

After paying for a year of service, I wanted to port my cell number to another phone and get a new number for my Tracfone. Customer service told me to port the number and then call back, which I did. They had deleted my service, my account and wiped out 3 years of minutes. After 4 reps and 3 hours no one at Tracfone could recover anything for me. I disputed the charge with my credit card company and they lied, essentially stealing my money. The last rep told me to call my credit card company to reverse the charges because there was no way he could refund me.

This is a third world cell service with third world coverage and non existent rip off customer service. RUN from this company. While I had it my friends frequently thought I had my phone turned off. The coverage is horrible. Really the worst thing is they robbed me of my service and then lied to my credit card company. This is a criminal organization, not a company.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

After purchasing this phone, already pre-loaded with Tracfone service for a year, from a cable shopping channel, I was so thrilled with my choice!!! Until I began using it, that is!!! Data was drained right from the minute I activated the service! Finally learned how to stop data drain. Then, out of nowhere, the screen tells me no SIM card installed, and now have an hour of time and some data that I can't use. Customer service no real help! All they've done is subtract minutes from another cell I have. Also, when I had voicemail waiting, it took a good 3 minutes, subtracted from total of course, to hear the actual voicemail! I'd bet that's done on purpose! How this service would last for a year, as the cable channel said, is beyond me!!! Forget the SIM, just going to let it go, and will NEVER use Tracfone again!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I live alone and just carry my phone around in case of an emergency in my home and as an alarm clock. I've had 3 LG flip phones and two broke over the years. The last one I bought at Walmart had a T-Mobile card and couldn't be used from my home, but worked fine when I was about a mile away. What good is a phone that has no service at my home. I contacted TracFone and they sent an AT&T Sim card. I could call out but couldn't receive incoming calls. I called at least 10 times and one tech referred me to another who referred me to the "upper department" I talked to at least 18 people and each gave me about 5 codes to try. Finally it was decided that I needed a new phone. Now this is going on over a total of a month and a half. I received a new phone that was not to my liking and tried one last time and this time one of the codes made the phone work.

I sent the replacement phone back and added more time and days with three days to spare. A few days later out of the clear blue sky they sent I get another phone in the mail that was exactly like the one I had returned 4 days before. In addition they had deactivated my flip phone the same day without notice. I called to get it reactivated and found out it couldn't be done without a new sim card. In addition they lost 1500 minutes that I had accumulated. They may speak English, but they don't understand it. More run around and more bouncing around as I was once again referred to one tech after another. I'm done with TracFone. Screw them and the horse they rode in on. I paid for my phone with American money. Why can't I call someone in America to fix my problem. I want to send the government money to build the way and keep these Columbians out.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Waste of time and money - Unfortunately I learned the hard way. TracFone has terrible customer service. I had the plan for two months and never had voicemail. I wasted many hours with chat and voice help - all the while TracFone was draining my minutes and data from the plan I paid for. Voicemail was never able to be fixed. I asked for a credit to my account then spent a few more hours on hold and chat since I was told by three different customer reps to call a different number to get a refund. In the end, they said, "We do NOT issue refunds or credits" but you can be sure they subtracted my voice minutes and data that I wasted contacting their customer service.

Also I have a feeling they are not being honorable with voice minutes as they would often slowly leak from my account without calls being made. Unlike other carriers there is no detailed accounting of calls, texts and data usage. It seems like they use this to their advantage. Finally I was either really really stupid or they set up a plan to try and trick people - I purchased an extremely expensive yearly plan and found out in short order that the minutes were not renewed monthly for a year. I am a fairly savvy tech user so am certain seniors would easily get tricked by this. Very shady. I have moved on to Unreal Mobile. Their system is very detailed but easy to use. They are upfront about everything and their customer service is awesome.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Began receiving non stop ringless voicemails on my TracFone. No message, just a beep. As soon as I would delete one another would come within 15 minutes. This went on for days to the point I wanted to smash the phone because of the aggravation and cost. Called TF customer service and told them I wanted to deactivate my voicemail. The first rep I talked to kept me on hold for 1/2 hr and at the end she told me it was now deactivated. The voicemail was not deactivated, but this idiot changed my password so I couldn't even access the still active voicemail.

I called two more times, both times I was told they had successfully deactivated my voicemail and that someone calling my number would hear the message "the subscriber has not set up a voicemail account." It never worked. All this burned up about an hour of my time, ruined my afternoon and left me really pissed off. Either these people have very poor training or purposely like to ** with customers because they hate their low paying jobs and hate Americans. Done with TracFone.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I bought the prepaid phone card which even after activating the card did not work. I called customer service 4 days consecutively to get them to fix the problem. Each time they said the problem was fixed but after an hour the card would stop working again. On the 5th day I called to cancel the service and get a refund. They deactivated the service but refused to give me a refund even though I had not been able to use the card even once to make calls. The WORST customer service experience ever.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I ordered a phone and have never been able to receive it, no one is ever willing to help resolve the issue. They charged my card and still haven't delivered the phone. I've made numerous calls and contacts with NO resolution. Go with Anyone else, any other company would be better... If I would give a negative star rating I would. Even my attempts to speak with a manager/supervisor only resulted in them hanging up on me.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

TracFone LG/Alcatel quit working after about 40 days. We are 6 months into 1-year plan, and have no idea if the phone replaced actually works. This is about the incredibly poor phone service - not unkind, but completely erroneous notes on account. We finally got a ticket # to return phone. 2-1/2 months later, we called to find out what was going on. TracFone personnel couldn't recognize our phone number, finally using the ticket # to discover that the replacement phone had been sent to unrelated name and address! No refund on service paid for, even though transferred me to "corporate" and to "refund" dept. I suspect these "depts." are not any different, from the lack of information and authority of each person I spoke with.

About a week later, I received an empty box with air bill, to ship our broken phone! Since the broken phone was sent and received on 8-7-18, my phone call on 10-16-18 (with 7 different people) was all about receiving a replacement phone, not sending in a phone! I was transferred to 4 different people, and each time I had to repeat my story and information - additionally annoying!

Received replacement phone on 10-26-18 (which should've been sent sometime in August). So the follow-up email that "...the make/model of the device returned, is not available in our inventory to be shipped..." and "At this time we are shipping a comparable device..." reveals the lack of departmental communication that began this incompetent transaction that failed to send a replacement phone in August 2018! We have no trust or further desire to activate the replacement phone received on 10-26 (nor certainly a second replacement phone received!), and only desire to be rid of this contract by means of refund of 8 months of unused credit.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

First, constantly ran out of minutes every month even after buying 1,000 minutes. I think the company is charging two or three times the minutes actually used. Second, on two occasions I submitted a credit card with the wrong address and the credit card was initially declined so I tried a second credit card which went through. Only to find out a day later the first charge went through as well. I called customer service to complain and get a refund on the second card and on the first time I called the customer service agent put me on hold and after 20 minutes I hung up.

I called back an hour later and the customer service agent put me on hold again and I waited patiently and unexpectedly got the "we are closed, call back during business hours" message. I called back the next day and demanded to speak to a supervisor. I demanded a refund and complained about the customer service I received. The lady said a refund would be issued and I demanded a refund for the first card purchase for the rude manner I had been treated in. The lady said, "We don't refund on minutes once they are purchased," and hung up. Needless to say I moved to another cell company. Do NOT do business with TracFone. The minutes you purchase will mysteriously disappear rapidly and if you ask for a refund you will be placed on permanent hold. Terrible customer service and fraudulent service.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I’m going to try and make this short! I bought a TracFone this past February and NEVER activated or used the phone. The only reason I bought the phone was for my mom when she goes to Thailand. Well the other day, I take the phone out of the packaging to get ready to activate it. I type in the IMEI number and then scratch the card with 200 minutes for the pin and it says the SIM card is deactivated. So I called TracFone on 11/09/2018 and I speak to a female representative and explain the situation. She tells me that the phone was activated and that the minutes were gone because the phone was deactivated after 30 days. I then asked, what was the phone number and no one activated the phone because I have T-Mobile. She keeps repeating the same thing over and over! I then asked for a male manager ID **. He then repeats the same thing as her and I keep explaining my situation.

So we finally got to a resolution that he said he would credit me the 200 minutes and send me a new SIM card. So FedEx calls today to try to deliver the package, but they didn’t put the apt. number after this was already verified. So back and forth with FedEx and TracFone for about 4 hours today. Got another male representative and he took 28 minutes to figure out that he had to resend another SIM card. I asked to speak to another manager because that doesn’t make sense to send another SIM card instead of contacting FedEx to just add the apt. He says, "We can’t do it like that!" Then he asks why they were sending the SIM card? I explained the same thing and he wants to debate! I couldn’t get inside the phone without a pin that he had to give me. Then I ask about my minutes and he asks me for a confirmation number.

I asked him to listen to the previous phone call and gave that manager’s ID number listed above. He refused, so now to the next manager! I explain everything and then some about the situation, and this lady tells me that they’re not charity and if I couldn’t afford the minutes! I cut her off quick and told her, "Don’t put words in my mouth," and that they can keep their piece of ** phone. I then asked for her name 3 times and she hung up! So beware when dealing with these companies that can barely speak English or pronounce their names! They’re legally scamming people here!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I had bought a sim card from TracFone but didn't activate it and a month later received an email from TracFone about a promotion for activating my sim card between Sept. 28, 2018 - Sept. 30, 2018 and I was going to receive a $25 gift card. I activated the sim card in Sept. 29, 2018 and it's been more than a month already and haven't receive anything and I've been calling TracFone explaining this situation and they ended up telling me that the promotion was going to be like a lottery and the chosen customers were going to receive the gift card which the email never said anything about that. So I’m so disappointed with TracFone customer service. They are liars.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Spent an hour on the phone with a customer service representative that I could barely understand trying to correct the fact that my elderly mother was being billed monthly on top of paying for a year long plan already. I asked for a supervisor who then explained that they could not refund the charges that were billed incorrectly because "that is not an option". I asked for her supervisor and she informed me that she would be the last person I would be speaking to regarding this matter. I have never been treated in such a rude and dismissive manner. Deeply disappointed. I'll be reporting this incident to the Better Business Bureau as well.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I'm in my 70's, doing great, but never have had a need for a cell phone except when on vacation or perhaps an emergency. About six weeks ago I decided I'd better charge the phone. A pop up appeared on the LG phone saying that the 2G phone I had (which I bought new a year ago and used about twice), would no longer work in my area.

So I purchased a refurbished Samsung Sky Pro 7. It came and I spent almost 40 minutes with a Tracfone Rep trying to get it going, removing the battery, resetting a few times. The rep concluded I should send it back and gave me an address to send it to. I had to pay $7.45 to sent back a dud phone. I made it clear to the rep that I did not want a replacement. But not only did a prepaid FedEx envelope show up a few days later after I had already sent off the first dud phone, I then received a replacement phone (#2) a few days later.

Again, after over 40 minutes trying to activate it, the rep said to send it back. This time I requested a prepaid envelope and received one. Then I received the THIRD Samsung SkyPro 7. This time it took from 4:35 pm to 7 pm until the customer rep determined that I should send this dud back as well. I asked for a prepaid envelope and said I would not be replacing the phone (no more Tracfone for me) but she said that if I was not replacing the phone that I would have to pay for sending it back. (!) So I paid $7.20 this time and send it back. I made it very clear I did not want a replacement phone and I also included in the package sending back the phone dud #3 that "I do not want a replacement - just please, oh please just refund me what I paid." I'm afraid I also mentioned that I had never had to pay to be tortured before.

So that was three days ago. This morning a box arrives from FedEx with a prepaid envelope to send dud phone #3 back that I have already sent back. So your prayers are welcome that I will not receive another phone from this company and will be refunded what I paid. I am now convinced that what I really need is just a burner phone for emergencies. I just know you good people reading this wish me all the luck in the world. :)

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I was given this phone as a gift because I am a DV victim. They do not have unlimited minutes nor text messages. My family paid $125 for a plan and told it was each month for a year, well yeah it was an odd price. However, I'm only using the phone for 2 weeks, out of messages, and out of minutes! All other prepaid companies offer unlimited text and talk, TracFone does not and charges far more than big name prepaid services! ATT offers unlimited talk and text for as little as $25 a month. Stay away from TracFone!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Phone doesn't ring when I am called even when calling myself! Voice mails come 3 days late and many important work calls have been missed. Customer service from Pakistan. Only resolution they give is to reboot.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I bought a TracFone SIM card for my unlocked cellphone 2 years ago and a one year phone card. When I replenished this card for the second time for another year, my phone calls all of a sudden displayed a caller ID at whoever received the call. This caller ID was a totally strange name and included a location that had nothing to do with where I live. I spend hours upon hours on chat and phone with the TracFone company. Their answers were ridiculous; 3 times they advised me that I have to take that issue up with my landline provider.

Finally I had been transferred apparently to the highest department in their business and the person just simply told me, that that happens because.... blah, blah, blah and that there is nothing they can do about it. I'm now stuck with this wrong caller ID and the only way out is to buy a new phone number and minutes. But since this is an unlocked phone I will go to another provider. Bottom line: You get what you pay for and TracFone is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The phone I received did not work from the day I got it. Spent over an hour with several representatives trying to figure out the issue of not being able to send/receive calls and texts. The phone itself worked fine hooked up to my wi-fi but not anywhere else. They blamed the issue on the device and said I could either get a refund or swap the phone out. I only purchased this phone to use while my other phone was being repaired with Samsung, so swapping it out would be pointless with the time it would have taken with shipping. I requested a refund and was told I would only receive a refund for the device and not for the plan EVEN THOUGH I WAS NEVER ABLE TO USE THE PLAN BECAUSE THE PHONE DID NOT WORK! There is a reason people stay with companies like ATT and Verizon. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We've used Tracfone for many years. My daughter's Rebel LTE got a cracked screen so we took a chance on a refurbished Rebel 3, purchased on Tracfone's site. Problem 1: The rep told me that the 2 day FedEx does not deliver on Saturday & you have to sign for it. Knowing that nobody would be home Monday during the day to sign for it, I had them ship it to my work. However, then I got an email with the delivery date: Saturday!!! Well nobody would be at my office Saturday, so instead of being able to have the phone Saturday (If the rep had known what she was talking about) or even Monday, they attempted delivery on Sat and then said they wouldn't be back til Tues! And you can't change the deliver address once it's ordered. So we get the phone and it has issues almost immediately. Screen won't turn on until you try multiple times.

Then it shows a weird black and white stripe on the left side of the screen and nothing else. So I called Tracfone for a return label. Told them I wanted it emailed to me instead of mailed (who mails a return shipping label anymore?) They said no problem. 2 DAYS LATER I get an email stating my airbill will arrive via FedEx 2 days after that! Why FedEx instead of email? I call again. Supervisor gets involved and assures me they will reissue a return label and send it via email. This was yesterday.

Today I get ANOTHER email telling me when FedEx is going to deliver the airbill. I call again. The supervisor tells me both previous reps "tried" to request an emailed label but it didn't work. How does it "not work?" The computer just says nope? At this point, I'm just going to wait until the airbill arrives tomorrow. And then we have to wait for the phone to arrive to Tracfone. And then they have to see if they even HAVE a replacement Rebel 3 (the website currently shows unavailable... awesome). If not, we get some random substitute phone. Tracfone is great when everything works properly. When you have to get customer service involved, you might as well give up before you even call.

TracFone Company Information