TracFone

TracFone Reviews

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

2368 TracFone Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 30, 2019

My husband and his mother have used Tracfone for YEARS very successfully!! Great value!!! I live in Colorado and She lives in Missouri. She is 88 and recently WASHED her cell phone in the laundry, so I ordered her a very basic phone again. When it arrived it insists for her to SHOW PASSWORD. She has never had a password. So, I am calling tech support trying to help her figure it out for two days. They talk in circles and are as helpful as a sponge. They insist the phone is activated. They insist she set up a password, but all she did was turn the phone on!

I Wanted to continue the conversation on my land line and call her on my cell to do a three way call and the tech support lady said she could only be on the line for 2 minutes. So, I guess I need to drive 900 miles to set up a cell phone or have her ship it to me so I can do a master reset because the call center can't stay on the line for 2 minutes??? I will pay more in postage than I paid for the phone and an 88 year old is without a phone for the two weeks that may take. VERY UNHAPPY with tech support!!

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bought an iphone at Target in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was a discounted phone because it was an older version (SE). I never used it as a cell phone. I then moved overseas and tried to use a SIM card but the phone was locked by Tracfone. I called tracfone and they tell me that the phone I bought required a 12 month contract with them (again news to me). I offered to purchase 12 months of service (that I would never be able to use since tracfone doesn't operate overseas), just to have them unlock my phone. They refused and told me that my concern has been addressed and hung up on me. Now I have a phone that I will never be able to use unless I move back to the US and use tracfone service for at least a YEAR.

Original review: May 29, 2019

We bought a Tracfone and it stopped texting and we filed a ticket ** and requested a replacement phone. They said they would send us a new phone, we got it and we couldnt' activate it. They informed us the phone number my wife had gotten was deactivated and that we had to choose a new phone number and also forfeit previously accrued minutes. Working with the call center was frustrating. One representative hung up on me, another left the line open. Two first line representatives falsely claimed to be supervisors. No one could help, everyone was awful. An abomination against customer service.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I have been a TracFone user since about 2011 to current, 2019. I sent many people to them because I thought it was a good system. Now, however, I have had two long bouts with them. The first was when about a thousand minutes and almost two years of phone service time were transferred from my account and it was wiped out. They initially said "I'm sorry, we can't help you. We've given your phone number to someone else and you authorized the transfer". NOT! About 3 hours of talking and going up the line to corporate management I finally got all the minutes, data, text and service time back along with my original phone number. (Never give up). I see a review below that makes me think the larger accounts get hacked.

This week they have robbed me of minutes again, during a transfer of new minutes from a new card. Due to some mistake I did not make they erased over 350 of my original account minutes and docked me 13 more minutes to put the new minutes I just bought on my account. It's now about another 2 and a half hours of phone time again wasted, but I'm not done trying to get all the lost minutes back. I'm at 300 returned so far and only 63 to go. When my service time runs out I will be leaving TracFone and pointing others away from them, too.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I've had Tracfone for years. No problems until 5/23/19 when checking my account balance & discovered all zeroes! On Jan 19, 2019 I added a new prepaid card. Because I owned a triple min phone, my balance at that time showed all rollover min, and the new min. (6,10 gb data, 3874 min, 3584 texts). Purchased a new phone 4/24/19, activated through Tracfone, & my acct showed 3818 min, & 3239 texts.

Upon discovering my zero balances, called Tracfone, CS told me phone was deactivated! By who, I asked....they didn't know! Asked to have reactivated and minutes restored, they said, "Hold on. I have to check with another dept who has the authority to do that." When CS came back online, they said as a favor they would restore 3.0 gb data, 1533 min, & 3000 texts!!! Wait! What! They absolutely will not reinstate my minutes. How is this legal to take away my prepaid services?!! As soon as my contract is over and I use all the min they so kindly (lol) reinstated, I will NEVER USE TRACFONE again, Beware!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I've been a TracFone customer for over ten years now; and all is good as long as you keep buying into their plans. But if you need to make changes or add another phone, like in my case, you shall suffer. Any changes is asking for trouble.... so far without fail. I have spent, literally, over an hour on the phone with their supervisors or managers, no less...never mind a sales agent. I'll make this review short. I can hardly understand what they're saying. They have screwed up my account all of the time and it takes much convincing and arguing on my part to straighten things out.... But this time they have gone too far.

They have overturned my much cherished phone number and replaced it with a strange number that I never asked for. And it's taking them hours, until this very moment, and they still cannot correct their mistake. They are liars and have hung up on me again and again. They will sell you stuff and then offer you the service. What fools we are! They dare to keep you waiting and waiting and then hang up on you! I hate them. But I digress. Please, good folks, don't be fooled by Tracfone. Find something better or suffer.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I purchased a new LG phone from TracFone in July 2017 (less than 2 yrs ago) and I needed to renew my time/data. I went in last night to purchase a 1 year plan, and immediately was notified that changes were being made at TracFone and I would have to purchase a new phone!! I am happy with my phone and the phones they currently are offering don't appear to be any better than my current. I have 4G service, and when I asked what update was taking place that required a new purchase, they wouldn't tell me specifically. Just "sorry for your inconvenience". How about giving me a free phone if you're really sorry? I don't have any issues with my phone. Maybe they don't make enough money off of us light users, so now we will have to buy a new phone every 2 years. NOT HAPPY....

Original review: May 13, 2019

TracFone representatives either will say anything to get you to purchase or they are simply incompetent. I was forced to update my phone because of their network. After conferring with their customer support, I selected an iphone being assured that the double minute plan I'd paid for would transfer to the new phone. It did not! I attempted to buy minutes and was told that as a new smart phone user, the minutes would triple. They did not. Supervisors simply told me that these plans didn't transfer to the phone I selected. The fact that I'd selected the phone based on their customer service representatives assurances mean nothing. All this is exacerbated by reps who speak heavily accented English over dreadful connections. Stay away from this company. You can't believe anything their reps tell you no matter how pleasant they sound.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Don't buy this bully phone company. You think their 1 year plan is great. NO it isn't. Once they figure out who you calling the most or you answer to whom the most. They will start to making your phone automatically disconnect from it. And also, they only think the world only have AMERICAN PHONES! So they will claim a restriction and NOT SUPPORT on the types of PHONE, WHEN IT ACTUAL WORKS. Therefore, their technical team is ** and no more than a jerky in the **. When there IS NOT BETTER proof than a working phone EVEN THOUGH the specs SAYS DOESN'T SUPPORT IT.

So shame on them, and don't expect a renew from me. Also, I highly recommend move away from this lying company. And NOT of no courtesy from the tech support team, saying, "Sir, actually your phone is not supported, even though your phone was LUCKILY WORKS as of right now." So AM I suppose get a pro-rate if In the very FORMAL way? So ** you little rat. I even have a record to proof it. My number is **. Just don't use it to spam my calls. But that's the best I can do to back up my experiences. Little jerk company.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Tracfone is offering a $99.99 plan for 365 days. It offers 1,200 minutes, 1,200 texts and 1,200 MB of data. Noted above this information is "3X airtime for your phone". What it doesn't explain is that some phones like mine do not qualify for this so I only received 400 minutes, 400 texts and 400 MB, a 1/3 of what is advertised. There isn't even an asterisk directing consumers to more information about exceptions. I spoke to an agent prior to purchasing this plan and he never mentioned my phones did not qualify. So $199.98 spent for only a 1/3 of the service provided. I asked to be switched to their $125 plan for 356 days that offers 1,500 minutes, 1,500 texts and 1.5 GB but they said no. The manager wasn't helpful at all. This is clearly a scam.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have with TracFone for years, I still have a phone that gets triple minutes. I bought 2 phones online, neither would make a call. I worked with people at TracFone for 2 hours trying to get them to work. They told me to send them back. I did at my cost. It's been over a month now. I have no phone, no money and am on the phone again with them now trying to get something done. I'm on hold again for the third time to get a supervisor which I asked for in the first place, on hold again didn't get a supervisor but they're going to get one now. Finally got a supervisor. She said they sent me a refund last month. I and my bank don't see one in my account. I guess I'll call back again. Don't buy TracFone. Service sucks.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have been a very happy customer for years THEN I purchased a Galaxy J3 Luna Pro. The phone came and after two days three hours each on the phone they said, "Sorry send your phone back. It is defective." I followed directions and my phone arrived 90 day warranty reconditioned phone no owners manual. After all I had been through I was really upset. So they said sorry again and sent another phone reconditioned 90 day warranty. I couldn't win. so I gave in kept the last reconditioned phone with a new phone price. TracFone does not treat prople fair.

They lost records to the phone that was inactive and I lost two thirds of my time text and data. I had purchased a year card but had a lot of existing time data and text. I even talked to corporate offices. I might as well saved my breath. No manual lost time text and data and one tech even screamed at me on the phone during these transactions. My advice chose TracFone at your on risk. Ask lots of questions before you make a purchase. Find out their policies on everything. As for me I am no longer a customer. Unhappy and cheated.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I agree with some of the other comments – Tracfone is a good alternative to more expensive plans if you don’t use your phone much and just want to have a phone for emergencies and occasional use. However, I would like to caution user who may want a bit more out of their cell phone. I have been a Tracfone user for many years and have recently been one who wanted a little more out of their offered services. I have been travelling internationally and Tracfone does not offer any sort of international roaming plans.

This may be OK, but there is another catch. I’ve recently upgraded my phone to an iPhone 6s but have found that I should have not done this through Tracfone. The phone is locked and they are unwilling or unable to unlock the phone. They claim that this is some government regulation but whether that is the case or not, I wish that I would have just purchased an unlocked phone on my own and then had it activated through Tracfone. At least this way, when I travel outside the country, I would have the option to simply purchase a local international SIM card and then have a means to use my phone while on travel.

There are many places to buy unlocked phone – My recommendation is to buy a phone on your own and then if you're interested in activating it with Tracfone – do so separately. I now have 4 other older phones that were all purchased through Tracfone. They claimed that they cannot unlock them either being that they are now too old. Sounds like a catch-22 to me. I guess I will be in the market for a cheap travel phone on my own to use internationally. Live and learn! I hope this helps some of you avoid the issues that I have experienced.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have been a TracFone customer for several years now and from my perspective, TracFone is only worth it for a select few people. During my first year of use with TracFone, it was beneficial due to my low call volume, few text messages, and non-existent use. I basically paid a little over $100 dollars per year for a phone that I used for a few text messages a day and some calls every once in a while.

Once I transitioned into using my phone a lot more due to more friends, more traveling, a long distance relationship, and more responsibilities it became an expensive and time-consuming. It costs $10 for 1 GB of data which I would use 2-3 per month so that's $20-$30 dollars, about a thousand texts per month which is another $5 dollars and a decent amount of minutes which divided out is another $5 dollars a month. In addition, service days are about $100 dollars for a whole year, which is about $10 dollars a month. Total that's about $50 dollars a month. Combine that with a data connection that would drop about 5-10 times on my 30-minute commute and having to wait anywhere from 1-6 hours for any data or minutes I bought to actually show up on my phone I would say that if you text, call, and use data more than a few times a day this service is not for you.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Me and my 3 friends were in USA for 3 weeks so we decided to buy a SIM cards from TracFone. Each $1 SIM kit which we bought contained 3 cards, AT&T compatible, T-Mobile and Verizon (which is probably CDMA). For the best coverage while traveling thru Arizona, Utah and Nevada I've decided to use AT&T compatible card.

I spent several hours on chat and phone trying to activate the service with credit card. We've tried a couple of credit and debit cards but this company can't charge from European cards. My suspicion is that they don't know about 3Dsecure but not everyone is using this security so probably more problems on the TracFone side. Lame!

After I've bought and used $15 activation coupon, the service was just partially working. Voice and SMS without problems but no data. I spent several hours on chat with another dumb operator. They are still asking irrelevant questions and ignoring all the facts. Our host in USA is using TracFone on AT&T compatible card for some time and I did a test with his card which was instantly working without further config in my phone and my card was not working in his phone where his card was working. I was telling this for a dozen times and telling his number also but operator was still asking me if I have 3G or LTE enabled, if my phone is unlocked, etc.

After next several hours I've decided to come with some solution (not TracFone), I've asked to move my service to another card but T-Mobile compatible. After that data has been accessible in a second. But outgoing SMS was not working anymore and on my Android tablet is not possible to dial so I wan't able to fix the SMSC number (BTW. Asking for that number on chat takes cca 30 minutes because operators are very ** and they are asking a many nonsense questions).

BTW. They said their data service is not working and is not supported on tablets. Lies, lame, stupidity, because it is normally working. I've asked for some extra data because of lot of problems and lost time they have caused to me but nothing ... They said "we have no record here about your issues". My friend which was also traveling with me decided to activate his SIM card too. The same problem, voice and SMS working, no data. We also did the same test with other SIM cards. We decided to lose $16 bugs and save our nerves because calling or chatting with brainless support not worth the time and nerves. The rest of friends declined to try it after this.

Beside this story ... You CAN'T activate/add more data without internet connection, in other words they are too stupid or lazy to configure the proxy and firewall to allow just the activation portal. So if one will run out of data the WiFi is all we trust in. Their portal and app itself is terrible, their support chat ... Operator is asking for everything even the phone number, why the application itself is not telling the phone number to the operator? At the end, they have no contract with ComNet so I was out of service in most locations. I'm traveling to different countries over the world and I never meet that ** service like this one.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I recently purchased a refurbished J3 Galaxy smartphone for my friend who is in a nursing home. There is a 90 day warranty on this phone - it was a refurbished phone. When we received it it would not work. We could not get past setting up the Gmail account. I called for their support and was walked through the same thing over and over again without any success. I asked for a supervisor, who did the exact same thing and I finally she said that the phone was defective. THEN they said that this phone was not eligible for replacement - I was not given any reason so I asked for a corporate person. After waiting, I was disconnected conveniently. I called back and asked again for a supervisor and got someone who was going to have me do the same thing that I had been doing for the past almost 2 hours! I said I wanted a reason this phone was not eligible and they could not give me an answer or would not give me an answer.

I have tried to call their office in Florida 305 513-4390 and there is no answer. If I call their other number 800 867 7183 I just get the same old menu and there is no customer service there. I am going to file a fraud claim to my credit card company so I will get my money back. I am also filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

This is my take on this particular thing: I bought the phone for my friend who is on the state program - TracFone is also the one who manages getting the numbers linked. Because this phone was going to my friend, even though I purchased it, they don't feel they have to honor any warranties. It was not a FREE phone. It was purchased by me. I am going to call the State of Illinois and file a complaint with their state aid department about this company. My friend is in a nursing home and she could never have done any of this without my help. She doesn't have the money to buy phones and the ones they provide she is unable to see the keys as she has eye problems. I would NEVER purchase a TracFone at Walmart or anywhere because I feel they are a bad business.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I recently was FORCED to buy a new phone because Tracfone has decided to cut off support/service for older 2G phones, but now the new phone I bought FROM THEM, is not working right... So, I tried to contact Tracfone Support using their Chat option, but was instead informed that they could not troubleshoot my problem because 'the system is not responding', and they gave me a number to call instead.

This is getting just STUPID now, I mean pretty much ANYTIME I try to get some help from their so called "Chat Support" line, there is always a problem, and I am given a number to call. This leads me to ask, 'WHY DO THEY EVEN PRETEND TO HAVE CHAT SUPPORT?' It seems that Chat Support is only there to give you phone numbers to call, instead of helping you fix an issue. So then, why not just cancel the Chat option completely, and just offer phone support number to call? I am one step away from getting rid of Tracfone as my carrier, because they are altogether too inept to help you with anything!

UPDATED 04/23/2019: I have recently purchased a new Android smartphone from TracFone, because they plan to discontinue service for older 2G phones, and I am seeking an unlimited data plan, for my new phone, but TracFone will not unlock the device until I am with them for 12 months.... This seems like it MUST be illegal, to hold someone's phone hostage for a years, before allowing them to change carriers. Every time I try to get some assistance with my phone over the Chat Support ('Support' yeah right), I am instead given a number to call, which is frustrating because I cannot seem to understand exactly what the Chat people do, besides providing numbers to call....

I want out of TracFone, mainly because they do not offer an unlimited data plan, and because their service/support is so sad, but as I said, I am trapped for a year unless I go out and buy a brand new smartphone.... HOW can they do this?? They will not even provide me a refund for the phone they sold me. That company, if you can call it that, is Draconian, and should not be allowed to stay in business. I have never seen another carrier that does that, forcing you to stay with them for 12 months before they will unlock your device.... I am okay with not being able to keep my current number/minutes really, but I want a way out, and there is none with TracFone. Once they have you, they do not let go. STAY AWAY from TracFone people, they are not only incompetent, but they are criminal in their practices!!

UPDATED 05/07/2019: I have written scathing reviews of TracFone previously, and my lack of love for this company continues still.... I checked my minutes balance this morning and it was 168 minutes / 647 MB data. Then about a half an hour ago, I made a phone call to a friend, she did not answer, and I was forced to leave a message. The phone call lasted 48 seconds total, and deducted 3 minutes from my balance, as well as 1.5 MB from my data. So now, after a 42 second phone call, I am left with 165 minutes / 645.5 MB data. I did not understand this as I thought data was not subtracted just to make a phone call, and they did not deduct a single minute from my minutes balance, which would have still been rounding up, but instead deducted 3 minutes??

So, just for stupid I guess, I tried contacting Tracfone 'Support', to ask about this. After explaining what happened, the obvious foreigner, with the ridiculous accent, responds that he checked my account and did not see the deductions, like I was lying for some reason, and that my account was active. I told him that I did not care what his screen was saying, there WERE deductions from my account, to which he just repeated the same thing again.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I've been a TracFone user for maybe ten years. Service has been usable until the last few years. A year or so back out annual prepaid service was terminated with no notice halfway through the year, with over 3000 minutes of unused time. After two hours on the landline they finally got service restored, but I had to have a new number, lost about half of the accumulated minutes, but did restore prepaid time, with no reason for the termination given.

Two months ago we updated to a new ZTE Smart TracFone that included 1500 minutes and 1 year use. Transferred old number to new phone and ended up with 4000 minutes and 1.5 year of use time. We mainly carry the phone in the car for incidental, or emergency use so it doesn't get used a lot. Went to use it last week and we got terminated AGAIN!!! Checked TracFone online and was notified that SafeLink was terminated, online chat said call the hotline, hotline said call SafeLink, Safelink said they had no record of me and the number was now registered to someone else. BTW - if you don't use the phone every 30 days, you will be terminated by SafeLink. NOW THEY TELL ME! WE NEVER HEARD OF SAFELINK! Wrote a letter to TracFone Executive Resolution Dept and waiting for a response.

In the meantime we've purchased a phone from **, whose online reviews are OUTSTANDING, and IF TracFone does anything, which I highly doubt, we'll have use of the new phone for normal use the next 1.5 years before trashing it, since the ZTE phone is a POS anyway, but at least it can be used to call 911 regardless.

Name of the tune: AVOID TRACFONE!!!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I purchased a brand new phone, an LG Fiesta 2. It was charged to my credit card on 2/24/19. By 3/2/19 I contacted the Customer Service Rep (CSR) at 1-800-626-4883 ext. **. Note: All phone numbers for Tracfone eventually are forwarded to this number. The CSR agreed that my phone was "defective". They would send me an envelope, I was supposed to return my phone with all of its packaging in the envelope and they would replace it. It all was to take place in 3-5 days. I followed their instructions exactly and returned it on 3/6/19.

My phone's original price was $79.99 but since I bought a new Phone Plan at the same time I received a 25% discount and was able to buy it for $59.99. They did not send me a new phone; instead, they replaced my new phone with a "refurbished" phone that in the last month they have sold for $19.99 or $29.99 on their TracFone Store site. The price depends upon their specials.

I made a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I continued calling the phone number telling them that I wanted a new phone not a refurbished phone. The CSR(s) agreed that I am entitled to a new phone since mine was defective within fifteen (15) days. Three times they tried to send me a new phone but the order kept being changed to another refurbished phone being sent to me.

Finally, on 4/9/19, the Corporate Representative in reply to the BBB Complaint told me that I should have followed the instructions that were sent with my new phone, I should not have listened to the CSR who told me to return the phone for a replacement. I should have returned the defective phone and asked for a refund not a replacement. "ALL requests for replacements will be replaced with a "refurbished" phone no matter how many days the customer has it before it is found to be defective. A new phone will NEVER be replaced with a new phone even if it was found to be defective when it was received." Another important thing to know is: if you return a new phone that is found to be defective when you received it - they will "process" your refund which may take 30 days and not show up on your credit card for 1-2 cycles per information on the TracFone Store site.

Bottomline: Within seven days of purchase my brand new phone was determined to be defective by TracFone. I have received four refurbished phones and not a brand new phone to replace the one I purchased. I have not been able to use my phone for 36 days even though I have a paid 60 day plan. TracFone has not offered to reimburse my credit card for the defective phone nor the days on my plan - UNTIL - I return the phones they never should have sent to me. As soon as they get them - they will "process" a refund. How many more days do I need to go through before I receive my refund credit and am able to purchase another phone and finally have cell service? Another 30-60 days?

Original review: April 11, 2019

Live in Florida and during a hurricane. When we lost power my only connection to internet was my data connection as cable was out. Needed to check status of storm and also status of power restoration. My data speed was slowed by Verizon (the carrier my Tracfone uses) so much that I couldn't load any pages. When I called TracFone I was told that carriers like Verizon could slow TracFone data connections speed in areas where data usage was heavy to benefit their Verizon customers. She said it was in the Tracfone terms and conditions which nobody reads but I pulled it up and sure enough it is in there. I still have have TracFone but now I know what to expect during emergencies and will make other plans.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have been using TracFone for over 4 years, and recently found out that they were planning on cutting off the towers that serve my phone, forcing me to buy a new phone, which I did, but those less than intelligent 'agents' at TracFone, cannot transfer my minutes / phone number, or anything else to my new phone.... I got in touch with them through Chat Support (my first mistake), and was asked to retrieve several numbers from the new phone.

After this, I was told that the transfer was in the works, and would be completed within a few hours. That turned out to be just another TracFone lie, and at 2 am in the morning, the phone still says Inactive, meaning they have not managed to complete a simple transfer yet. This transfer was initiated at around 9pm the night before, and by 2am, it STILL was not finished.

As well, OF COURSE, by the time I realized they did not do their jobs, it was too late to reach them for support, so I have to wait until tomorrow, and then TRY to get ahold of someone who actually knows something at that sweatshop company, to complete the transfer. I have to say that my satisfaction with TracFone has declined exponentially, since I became acquainted with that farce they try to pass of as Support. For once, I would like to speak to someone, who actually knows something, and not just some simple, call center moron, just trying to get a paycheck, and reading scripts, and FAQ pages. If I hear, "I am happy to assist you with this issue", one more time, from some broken-English foreigner, I am going to have a STROKE, I swear.

It would be different if any of these people actually DID help, but they seem completely inept to how the network functions. Meh, I guess I will go to sleep, and hope & pray that the transfer was actually done, by the time I wake up, but I am not confident, which is the trademark of anybody trying to get assistance from TracFone 'Support!!'

Original review: April 7, 2019

Can't get the phones (2) activated with the triple everything. I have gone through the phone system with no help, gone though the instant messaging system and sent letters to two consumer affair addresses in Florida and they just don't respond. I am going to go to the BBB and FCC if this isn't resolved in a satisfactory way by May 1st, 2019. Very unhappy with Tracfone and wish we'd never bought these phones with triple everything attached. It was a great deal until they weren't activated with what was sold.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have had Tracfone for several years on my own Galaxy J7 phone. I renewed for another year with an early promo discount one month before expiry date. Four days before regular end of service, I received an email saying I would be charged for another year on auto-refill. I responded to the email saying I already bought another year, did not want my credit card charged again. I had cancelled auto-refill and their own website said I had no card on record for auto-refill. Sure enough they charged another year so now I’m paid 2 years in advance. I just spent 56 minutes going up the food chain of managers and they refuse to refund the extra year because they have NO record of my cancelling the auto-refill. They acknowledge that there may be a problem with their website but I’m still on the hook for the last charge. What a waste of time with a dysfunctional service dept.

Original review: March 30, 2019

We've had Tracfone for years and every time minutes needed to be added it has been a nightmare. Yes, I have a flip phone and they really don't provide service for that anymore (although this has been the same for about 8 years). Tried to activate a new Tracfone smartphone but you have to call them even though they say you can do it online. Got the phone and spent over 4 hours on the phone trying to deactivate my old phone and activate the new one. Finally they figured out the new one was no good and we had to send it back, of course the old phone is now deactivated and won't work either.

Received the new phone and tried online to activate. "Do you want to keep the old number?" Yes. "Then enter your previous carrier." Use the pull down screen and Tracfone is not listed! How **! Try to use the online chat and move the cursor over it but the online chat icon is not active - once again how **! If you're going to offer online chat then it should be active or you're really not offering it in the first place. Overall their customer service when calling them is going to take at least one hour to add minutes or get help. Overall rating a minus 10 on a scale of 0-10 with 0 being the worst. They SUCK!!!!

Original review: March 27, 2019

I got a TracFone for Christmas to replace my old one. They put the air time and minutes on the old phone. The new phone was defective and will update the same update over and over again. I contacted customer service for about 2 weeks with this problem until finally they offered to replace the phone but I would have to send it back to them before I got the working phone. Dealing with these people is an absolute nightmare and honestly I don't recommend getting service through TracFone because if anything goes wrong it's not their problem.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Have had a TracFone for close to two years. Rates are very reasonable and I can carry forward unused talk time, text and data. Customer service it top rate if you need to talk to a customer representative.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have used TracFone for at least 5 years, historically using an LG phone. Service was fair, contacting help on TracFone was a joke. I recently upgraded to iPhone7 via TracFone website. The phone is great but service via TracFone not up to par with this phone. So, my son had an extra T-Mobile chip (unlimited data, text, phone) for basically free. Contacted TracFone to unlock phone (no service plan, of course, phone was paid for, 2000 phone minutes and 4000 texts) left, but the idiots won’t unlock it so that I can switch providers because I didn’t have the phone for 12 months. Really, although I spent lots on TracFone the previous 6 years AND my wife is currently a TracFone LG phone user. Well, not for long!!

If they allowed me to switch, they still have all the money I am going to spend, yet they have to be ** and not allow a switch for 6 months, even though they are allowed at any time to change the basis for their unlock policy. Pointing that subtle fact to them had no effect, but I hope many people dump them or choose other carriers based on my unhappy experience.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I bought a Tracfone one year contract, it felt good at first, but after few month I found a problem, the 2G airtime is gone without much use, I only use the airtime for GPS navigation few times or check some information I need. I contact customer service and bought $20 2G airtime. One day, I need GPS navigation, and there is no internet, so I check the airtime balance, the balance is zero. How it‘s gone so quick without use? I feel so weird. I contacted customer service, and to ask why? The answer is I have to turn off the “mobile network” button if not use. So I turned off the ”mobile network” button, and bought $20 2G airtime again, I‘m paying attention at this time. And after couple of weeks when I check the airtime balance, the airtime balance is zero. I feel so bad, and I‘m so mad, I feel like I‘m being cheated. This Company is not reliable!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Updated on 03/29/2019: 3/29/2019 Tracfone Update. Tracfone did release my cell phone number, but only after I filed a complaint with the FCC > Better Business Bureau in their Corporate office hometown > I wrote a review for a TV station here where I live, > I asked others on Twitter about their TracFone treatment > I documented every email, letter, phone call to whomever, even Consumeraffairs > I contacted WalMart complaint dept. the store where I purchased my TracFone cell and PrePaid cards. I made a list of every store that sells TracFones anything, where I reside, and I made BIG list for the entire USA > which is very easy to do, because TracFone has 'Find A Store"; enter your Zipcode and it will give you every store in 'your' Zipcode. On 3/25/2019, I received an apology from their Miami Corporate Office.

But things had already started changing in my favor, because my cell number was Ported out prior to their email. I learned a lot because I was determined they were not going to keep my cell number. And I was prepared to take them to court. So, I hope you learn from my experience. I've shown you step-by-step how I handled this frustrating situation. I created a Form letter for my contacts, which helps you remember everything in detail. Thanks for listening.

Don't forget, keep a copy of everything!

Original Review: I have read online that hundreds of TracFone customers were unable to Port their number away from TracFone to another Provider because TracFone customer service did not give them the correct account number or Rejected the verified acct info they provided. Is this the way they treat customers that want to leave? I would not recommend this company for your Cell Phone needs.

Customer service does not know what your cell phone account number is, neither will they verify the information you give them, nor will they expedite the Porting of your number. Simply because they want you to keep on dragging out the time it takes to Port the number so that you can run out of minutes and have to pay again and again while the process is going on. They have no problem Porting your number in and setting up your account. Even if the Ported number was yours originally. They will try to make you stay by holding on to your original number. I will never use this company again or any of their Affiliates. So, Buyer, Beware!!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I ported my number to TracFone years ago from Verizon. I wanted to port from TracFone to Google Fi and they have made it impossible. TracFone is so stupid that they don't know the account number required for them to accept a port request. Over the past few months, they have supplied at least ten account numbers that I supplied to Google Fi, and then TracFone refuses the port request. You read that right, Tracfone refused the account numbers they supplied me for the purpose. They will not open a ticket because they only open tickets with a successful port request. They absolutely refuse to let my number go. It's heartbreaking because it is the number my mentally impaired husband uses and remembers, and we are going to lose it. I will never do business with them again. Incompetent and unethical. Do not port a number you wish to keep forever to TracFone - you can check out, but you can never leave!

TracFone Company Information