TracFone
1.49/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

TracFone Reviews

2326 TracFone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Over a month of time dealing with service people to get mim trans from one phone to another. 3 or four SIM cards later finally got some of the time and mim. but lost my number. The reason I wanted to keep number was it is tied into several accounts. They said I could keep my number but by the time all the hoops got jumped through they said they have given my phone number to someone else. This is not good to say the least. Zero stars.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I transferred the phone from TracFone to another carrier because their data plans were outrageous/terrible. 2 1/2 hours after the number was legitimately transferred to the new phone/carrier, TracFone charged my card for another 30 days when Verizon notified them about the transfer WHEN I WAS THERE TO WITNESS IT! Those hypocrites (who could barely speak English), completely denied that the transfer even occurred and denied a refund. Also, earlier I had talked to TracFone about having airtime without having to add minutes because I had 6000 minutes which I didn't need.

Their system was so dysfunctional, they didn't offer any flexibility whatsoever. If you want my advice, pick Verizon, T Mobile, Sprint... Anyone else except for TracFone because how they treat their customers is disgusting. They should be taken to court for customer fraud! If I could have given it -5 stars, I would have, and I'm sure many people feel the same way.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Buyer beware. Their consumer services are useless to say the least. Wasted a lot of time and money with them. NEVER AGAIN!!! Horrible! Not to mention, the people on the other end of the phone have a hard time comprehending American language. Frustrating and infuriating to deal with only to get nowhere.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I decided it was time to upgrade my TracFone. At this point I had over 1000 minutes, 700mb of data and 2000 texts in my account. When I tried to transfer my phone and telephone number the fun began. My time transferred to the new phone but I couldn't make or receive calls. After spending hours with customer service they could not fix the problem. They sent me a new phone but the same problems occurred. I switched back to my old phone but my minutes disappeared. Went back to customer service and they could see my minutes in the account but could not be put back on my phone. Beware of the line. It takes 24 hours to update. That is just their way of getting rid of you. Spent about 4 hours on the phone with them and they fixed nothing.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I bought a Samsung (TracFone) Galaxy J7 Crown and within a month the screen would display colored lines across the screen. It would be an intermittent problem that could last days or hours. The screen wasn't cracked and would correct itself on its own. Restarting the device didn't change anything. I contacted my extended warranty which referred me to contact the manufacturer, so I contact Samsung, and they refer me to contact TracFone. I contact TracFone online and explain my issue and they ask me to return my mobile phone to them for a replacement. They sent me a large FedEx envelope with insufficient packing for a loose phone and charger. Nine days later I get my replacement USPS in a well packed box.

I open the box and discover they sent me a Samsung (TracFone) Galaxy Sky Pro. I checked the specifications for the J7 Crown and the J7 Sky Pro and noticed the J7 Sky Pro processor has 4 less cores than J7 Crown and the J7 Sky Pro has a 5 front and 8 rear MP camera while the J7 crown has 13 front/rear MP camera. I contact TracFone and let them know I am displeased with the replacement phone they sent me and it isn't equal to the J7 Crown that I sent them. They reply that it is the same value. I find that unbelievable. I go to their website and check the prices of the J7 Crown and it sells for $119.99 and the J7 Sky Pro $79.99. How is that equal value besides the obvious number of cores and picture MP? At the time of discussing the return of J7 Crown phone; At no time was it discussed that it could be replaced with a different phone model. I expected the same model, but was floored when it wasn't when it arrived.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Tried to buy texts, and increased the number selected after I had entered my CC info. It billed me for the increased amount, but didn't grant them to me. After a long online chat I was eventually able to get the missing texts, but was not compensated for all the trouble. TracFone never does that, in my experience.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had been pretty satisfied with TracFone for a few years-- only $15 a month. However, I recently bought a new Samsung smartphone for my daughter, and trying to get the darn thing activated is a nightmare. We have been on the phone with customer service four different times, for hours. (My landline ran out of battery today.) They have you jump through impossible directions and hoops each time, with no different results. She can get on the Internet, but can't make calls or texts! And they just can't seem to figure it out, even though I see several other reviewers had the same issue.

Today, I went on chat and demanded they just send a replacement phone, as we are not willing to spend any more time on this useless exercise. I got a ticket number and they said it has gone to "corporate" and they will call me within 24 hours. I am not holding my breath. I also threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau, but, again, not expecting much. They should not be in business if they can't even solve what seems to be a recurring problem.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Over the past 5 years, I have had to contact TracFone Customer Service about 3 to 4 times. Each time is like a terrible nightmare. The hassle one has to go through is inexcusable. One of the most dreaded areas I have is the problem of speaking to a representative with virtually no skills regarding speaking the ENGLISH language. You cannot speak to any natural English speaking people. The other area is that the representatives always assumes the customer is computer and cell phone savvy and knows exactly what to do.

Yesterday was my last go around with them over a new phone I purchased. No more will I buy a TracFone phone, but instead will visit in person a company who actually has a location of business. I guess the old saying, "you get what you paid for" is 100% true regarding TracFone. You pay little so you should expect to receive a little, not what they imply via their promotional advertisements.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Be aware of TracFone's "warranty" policy. I know from experience that if you have an LG product and should happen to need warranty service or repair during the original one-year manufacturer's warranty period, you will end up getting a refurb phone back from TracFone that comes with a 90-day warranty attached. It doesn't matter how much of your manufacturer's warranty year may be left, you will end up with 90-days. Not only is this completely unethical and immoral, it can't possibly be legal. I sent them a 2-month old phone and now I'm stuck with a refurb that is only warranted for 90-days. TracFone's customer service is useless, they just tell you "that's our policy, sorry there's nothing else I can do."

I've contacted LG about this issue, but it appears they are completely complicit with this scam and don't really care that consumers with their product are getting ripped off. They just cite "an agreement" with TracFone and defer to them. I believe Apple handles their own warranty in-house, and I don't know if Motorola or Samsung or any other brands would be more protective of their consumers with this issue or not, but I would definitely steer clear of LG products with TracFone.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have been a customer for well over ten years. About a month ago I switched to a smartphone from a flip. Everything switched over just fine without incident. About 2 weeks ago I dropped the phone and the screen shattered. Totally my fault. So I went to TracFone website and bought the same phone again. Once I received it I switched everything from my broken phone to the very same model (refurbished J7 Sky Pro). All my contacts, pics and apps switched just fine. But the phone wouldn't make or receive calls or texts. Contacted tech support 4 days ago. Nothing. They tried solved the issue. Spent over 6 hrs online chat and phone with them. They sent me a new Sim...put that in today...still have exact same issues. Called tech again. On phone for over 3 hrs...still not solved. They even factory reset my phone...losing all my contacts, pics, apps...which I was willing to do, if in the end my phone would work...but it does not.

They have had me turning it off and on more than 2 dozen times, removing and reinstalling sim, etc. Nothing is working. Then they said take card out for 30 min and they will call back. Waited over an hour and they never called back. Got a new person when I called them back again. Began same idiotic process all over again. I live in Indiana and the phone says it's in Arkansas...it's insane. I've spent days trying to just get a working phone. Not to mention half of the tech people I had to speak with barely spoke English. How hard would it be for them to send me a new phone and sim and start the crap over? This is insanity.

This is a Saturday and I've been on the phone and or waiting by the phone for them for almost 4 hours. Not how I want to spend my day off. This should not happen. This is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I have been a customer of TracFone for sooo many years and there have been hiccups along the way for sure...but this is by far the most ridiculous crap I have ever dealt with. They need to change how they deal with these issues...as passing me alone to 5 different techs, all following the same canned speech and "fixes" are totally not working at all. Turning ** off and on over 400 times isn't fixing a thing.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have been a customer since June 2018 and established auto pay in August. No problems until Jan. 2019 when I received notice that my activation would expire yesterday. I called and they had no record of me being on auto pay so made a one time payment with my debit card. Today I received an email that my service was deactivated because my bank declined payment.

I called my bank and they said they did not receive a payment request so they did not decline any payments. The rep I talked to yesterday said they were having system problems so it is logical that they made an error. I had to reconnect through their call center this morning which meant they treated me as a new customer. I had to pay the higher price and they could not re-enroll me on auto pay until the end of the month. Their service reps are very unhelpful with solving problems or answering questions so I went to their website to chat online with management and they were equally unhelpful.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

They "lost" or "can't see" my transactions in total amount of $113.72 (950 minutes, 1500 texts, and 2.5Gb of data). I can see these transactions in my account on their website in "history of payments", and also in my bank statements, but they "can't". Imagine you paid $250 for service. You are asking to transfer that service from one phone number to another (your carrier claims that they'll do this no problem and for free). However, only about half of that service transferred, another half is gone. They can't find records, that you paid $250 in the first place.

Manager Jorje ** claimed that "it's impossible to fill up benefits partially" while transferring them from one phone to another. Yet their system did fail. Yet about half of the "benefits" (the $113.72) lost during the transfer. I spend 6+ hours trying to reason with them, telling them that $250 is $250, not $125. When I asked Jorje ** of a contact information of somebody in the company who is accountable for issues/errors like this, he said that he IS the highest person in the company. There is no one above him. When I asked what I have to do he said "I understand your concern".

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I thought activating my new TracFone was going to be a simple process since this is what I was told by the Walmart associate which assisted me in selecting a phone and carrier. This could be the farthest from the truth. TracFone was unable to activate and provided me with 3 options to try an navigate a process to get it activated. One of the options was to return to the store and have them re-scan the package. The second option was to take pictures and email verification to them. I don't recall the third option.

I opted to email my proof of purchase and serial numbers etc. 1st problem, the service rep did not provide me with an accurate email and ALL the requirements needed. I had to call back to get the accurate email and info. Once I took my photos and emailed everything, it took 2 days to get a reply only telling me I was missing info. I sent it again, they came back 24 hours later to tell me I am still missing info. This time they said they needed the serial number photo from the setting of the phone. This was the first I heard of this. I had provided them the serial number on the red card that comes with the phone, but now 2 phone calls in, and 3 emails later, I am finding out they need more detail.

It doesn't help that NONE of the representative speak fluent, unbroken English, thus making communication nearly impossible. Their reps do not care about you, the consumer. It is my belief they go out of their way to inconvenience their customers and make doing business with them a total nightmare. I should note this was my second TracFone I purchased and similar experiences were encountered on both occasions - 3 years apart.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I use my TracFone when travelling in the United States from Canada a couple of times a year. I pay a yearly contract then add International calling minutes and data when needed. On October 28th, 2018 I had over 900 minutes of international calling available. On October 30th I had none and did not make any phone calls. We contacted a representative and we were on the phone for over 90 minutes trying to sort it out. We ended up buying another International calling card and chalked it up to a glitch in the system as we were getting absolutely nowhere with the representative. International calling minutes were once again topped up and we were good to go.

I made a couple of calls to Canada on October 31st prior to crossing the border and arriving home. The phone was shut off and put away awaiting our next trip. We went south this weekend and I went to make a call to Canada and had 30 seconds of international calling time available. This was super confusing since we had topped it up on the 30th of October prior to returning home. I called customer service and was on the phone for over 3 hours trying to sort this situation out being passed from pillar to post with no one really caring about what my problem was. Finally, I was told to call back the next day when the "supervisors" were in the office to assist me. What they did tell me was that my International calling minutes were used up when I called the Mali Republic on November 3rd. I told them that this was an impossibility because the phone was turned off and I was back in Canada as of the 31st of October.

I called back to the office the next day and was on the phone for over an hour explaining my situation and at the end of it all was told that they couldn't help me and that I should report this to the police. The "supervisor" then hung up on me and said there was nothing they could do! All I wanted them to explain to me was how my International minutes could disappear twice for calls that I didn't make. I reviewed my calling log on my phone and the last call made was October 31st. I explained this to the representative who said that I was wrong. The last call I made was on the 3rd of November to the Mali Republic and that is where I used up all my calling time. I have now googled Mali Republic... It is in Africa. I have no relatives or friends living in Mali. This company is so shady it is incredible that they are still able to operate!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I got this iPhone SE last week or so with 1300 minutes on it. I already had 2 older TracFone flip phones. One with 600 min. and the other one with 1100 min. I asked if I could transfer the phone number from the 600 min. phone to my new phone. No problem, switched over, although nobody told me the older phone would now be deactivated and I would lose the 600 min. But wait! There’s more! I asked if I could transfer the 1100 min. from my other flip phone and was told "yes, but you will lose the 1300 min. on your new iPhone SE"!! But I already paid for those 1100 min!? I just wanted to use the new iPhone SE and get rid of the older flip phones. They were no help at all... Been with these monkeys a good many years too. Needless to say they are losing my business AND my family’s and my friends too. Talked to two (supposed) supervisors, no luck. Going with a better outfit. You know where you can stick the 3000!! mins. TracFone!!! I could care less!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Had phone a month, then failed. Returned under warranty. Have called service 5 times, (each time talked to an agent in India/Pakistan). Had to repeat my information each time, then on hold for 20 minutes each time! Finally talked to a manager in Miami office, I did better with India! I am out a $120 phone, have lost my phone time, and probably lost my old phone #. The phone was my primary unit (no longer have a landline). Every doctor, business, and personal uses that #. I feel I have been abused by this company!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Why would anyone ever in their right mind purchase minutes TracFone service when they can get unlimited phone calls, unlimited text and at least 2 GB of data for only 15 to $25 at any other company? Plus they could have unlimited data starting at $35 a month. Check around this company is ridiculously priced ($120 for 1500 minutes talk, 1500 texts and only 1.5 GB data.) For $25 you get only 500 minutes, 1000 texts and a measly 500mb of data! Shop around. You can even get unlimited everything including data without throttled speeds for $35 a month. This company is laughable I don't know who would ever purchase a plan from them at these outrageous prices for very little service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Everything about their service is fine... as long as you don't have a problem. I bought a smartphone from their website and it arrived with physical defects. I called 9 people to get it activated and receive calls. Then spoke to a lady who tried telling me my warranty didn't cover defects I didnt cause. Finally get to a manager about replacing my phone and she couldn't tell me whether or not I would receive a phone or an empty box (to send my phone back). It's been 3 days, waiting for the box or phone and magically my service has been deactivated. No records of my phone number or SafeLink even though SafeLink says I'm still enrolled. I don't even have the box or new phone yet! I need a working phone for work. I'm so upset!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been a TracFone user for 5 years while visiting the US. Since we are not resident in the US for more than 3 months we only purchase 3 months worth of time. Each year we have to obtain a new SIM card as the old one expires unless you keep active minutes. I purchased a new phone from TracFone last year, used it in 2018 and now want to use it for travel outside the US. The phone is locked and TracFone will not unlock unless I take a year contract. This is ridiculous as I own the phone.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I purchased a smartphone with the triple minute addition. I am not getting triple minutes. Recently, when I ran out of minutes, I could not get my phone to accept the minutes I bought and paid for and TracFone's customer service was not service at all... They are useless. If you want bad service and to not get what you pay for, by all means, use TracFone...

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

While on a trip to Arizona recently; I could not use my TracFone. I was unable to make or receive calls even though I had 5 bars. When I returned home I called them and was told that because I was out of my zip code that is why I was unable to make or receive calls. The only way to remedy this is to have contacted them while I was on vacation and have my zip code and phone number changed. As far as I am concerned this is false advertising.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

On 12/11/18, I purchased a gig of data for my phone. By 12/20, it still had not appeared on my account. I chatted with a very rude and condescending agent but he asked for the transaction ID and at the time, I was on my phone waiting to pick up my granddaughter so I told him I’d have to try again. When I got home, I chatted with a guy named Nestor. He was much nicer but not much help either. He was difficult to understand but said I had to give them 24 hours to ‘update’ their system. I was to contact them again after the 24 hours and they would manually add the gig.

I called in today approximately 26 hours later and spoke with a woman. I was unable to get her name as she had an accent and I couldn’t understand the name she gave. She said she was doing some calculations and checking daily use and stuff. Went off to talk to her supervisor, came back and did some more calculations and checking and then told me there was no way to prove what my balance was before the purchase so there was nothing she could do. Ok, so what calculations and checking was she doing? If she was looking at my daily usage, why can’t she see that I had a little over a gig on 12/10 and still have a little less than a gig on 12/21 therefore the gig I bought on 12/11 was never added!

What really makes me the angriest, though, is that I had proof and deleted it. I have had a ton of trouble with their app. When I try to check my balances to see when I need to buy, I keep getting stuff about how it’s taking too long to get it and I should try again later. So although I can’t say for sure when it was, within a week or two before my purchase, I texted for my balance to 611611. I saw I was getting low (low to me would be below 1 gig) and resolved to make a purchase soon. Unfortunately, after I made the purchase, I deleted the text.

There needs to be a different way of doing these purchases from the web. There should be an actual redemption step. Or it should show up immediately. Or a counter that takes inventory of where you are when you make a purchase so both sides can prove their point because, believe me, it is 100% possible to make a purchase and not have it show up on your account automatically. On other purchases, it has taken quite a bit for it to show up which is why it took me so long to contact them. I kept waiting for it to show up automatically... like it's supposed to.

I’m a senior on a fixed income which is why I use TracFone, so this $10 loss is a big deal to me. I prefer buying from the website because I also use Ebates and can get a little cash back but going forward, I guess my only alternative is going thru the hassle of buying a card from the store so I have proof you messed up. Or maybe switching carriers altogether.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I purchased two LG phones (one for me and one for my wife) from HSN last August. The deal was you received one phone, 1500 min. talk time, 1500 min. text, 1.5 GB data. We’re retired and very seldom use them. After three months they turned our phones off, they said our contracts were up. I called and that was resolved. After six months we can’t download text messages. As a grandparent that is important for pictures. I called again they told me I needed more data time for $10.00 per phone. The girl on the other line was so hard to understand I finally gave up. Hello Sprint, good riddance TracFone. DO NOT DO IT.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have been a loyal and very happy customer with Tracfone for roughly 8 years and I am still keeping my account. On 12/30/2018 called customer service to ask what I had to do to switch my 2 daughters phone numbers to Sprint to be on my wife's plan. I was given the account numbers and when I asked about switching their remaining data and minutes to my phone the customer service rep told me it would be no problem. Fast forward 12/31/2018 at the Sprint store, one of the account numbers was incorrect and the information about transferring the Data to my phone was also incorrect.

When I called to question this I was greeted with very pleasant representatives that could not provide any resolution other than to say that they were very sorry. I will ultimately keep my phone because it is the cheapest alternative for me. However I can't continue to give glowing endorsements about this company. It is a shame a company is willing to lose customer satisfaction over 3.86 GB, 6419 Texts and 10,415 minutes of talk time.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Every time you call it is a new hoop to jump through. Service, knowledge and help rate a zero. I would dump Tracfone but I have over 2,089 minutes, etc. built up over several years that I don’t want to lose on my iPhone 5s. Here is my experience: Bought a new iPhone 7 with service from Xfinity Mobile. I had the Tracfone iPhone 5 number ported over. Was told by Tracfone just call after port done and a new number would be assigned. Called TF for a new number and was told they could not do that with the current “5” phone’s sim card. They would instead send me a new card.

Got the card days later, installed and called TF for the promised new telephone number. They kept having problems with the process on their end. Then they said the sim card they sent me wouldn’t work and to go purchase a $10.00 sim card kit at Walmart. Did that and now they want a service minute card to activate. I told them I had done that 5 days ago with their wrong sim card. They claim they have no knowledge of that credit transaction. Told them I would dispute the credit charge in question if I get double billed for a service card.

Next the service card to activate would be a $15.00 card for only 30 days, not the 90 days with the basic $19.00 card. They would not reactivate the “5” phone and would end the call unless I purchased the 30 day card right now. I could go about all the time getting back my 2,089 minutes, 2,450 texts and 2.32 GB that required hours that they then said it was impossible because they deleted on the old sim that they deactivated. I told them I want those minutes as promised and I wasn’t putting up with “it's not possible.” Then they put me on hold again for half an hour, but came back would add just 2,000 minutes.

Next on their app it shows a telephone number I never had and none of the 2,000 minutes. Call again. They said it needs to be changed and another 25 minutes on the phone for them to get the correct phone number installed. What a bunch of crooks just to get a new number for the “5” phone. Tracfone is a bully company that lies as they jerk you around for hours. They are as truthful and dishonest as Trump. You have been warned! PS: I’m just now decided nuts to TF and the minutes accumulated. Just going to buy a different phone and include an additional line with Xfinity and be done with TF for good!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

If you only use a phone a few times a day this is the only way to go. Best way to save money at least half the cost of that of the standard cell phone companies. Best way to go is the $100 prepaid plan.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have been a TracFone customer for more than 10 years. When texts with photos would not go through to my email I called 3 times! Twice I was disconnected after 30 minutes while the service rep couldn't fix my problem. Their scripted conversation only adds to the frustration of them not being able to fix the problem. The call center back noise of the other employees. It's very distracting when you are trying to follow directions from a heavily accented service rep. They have lost me and my 3 accounts as of today.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have had my phone a week. After adding minutes and airtime I could not make or receive calls. I have made several calls to get it fixed and was placed on hold. I could hear talking and laughing while being told NUMEROUS time, "Please hold a minute." I finally asked for a replacement phone and they gave me a got a ticket number. Then they cancelled my ticket number and said phone was out of warranty. I have not made the first call with it. I have had it less than 2 weeks. Customer service is worse than HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

You'd think there would be an option to speak with a human after the phone system gets stuck in a loop, but no. You just have to keep entering the same numbers and being ignored like an idiot. Getting onto chat isn't any better. After they get your problem completely wrong, they basically tell you to bug off. I must have Stockholm Syndrome to be staying with them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

TracFone has very poor customer service and inability to fix or help with equipment and connection problems. When you talk to customer service about the problem, they literally laugh and tell you to get another phone and laugh: literally.

TracFone Company Information