TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.6/5 (547 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: April 5, 2022

Tracfone has upgraded their service to voLTE, or to HD voice. Apparently, many customers received notices that their phones were not compatible with the new upgrade. So, Tracfone offered some of these customers new voLTE phones while supplies lasted. My phone did not meet the new service requirements, so I attempted to secure a new phone through the Tracfone chat line by talking to a service agent. The agent attempted to order a phone but she was stopped in her tracks by a computer message that said all of the phones I was eligible for were "incompatible with my zip code." Therefore, she could not process the order. While I was negotiating with this agent the stock of phones was depleted by other customers. So I no longer qualified for any free phone offers.

Later, I talked to several "resolution" experts who told me my only option was to purchase a voLTE phone. So I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S9 fully GSM unlocked phone with a Android 10 operating system. The phone was LTE, voLTE, capable and worked fine with the ATT tower I was connected to. I got excellent HD voice, texts, and data. I used the phone with my old Tracfone sim card from my previous phone for three months without a glitch. Then, as my service was nearing the expiration date, I decided to contact Tracfone to have the service transferred to my new phone. Then I hit a roadblock. Even though the phone worked without a glitch, Tracfone said the Galaxy S9 was not compatible with their "upgraded" towers, even though it was fully GSM unlocked.

When I used the Galaxy S9 it was fully provisioned. The voLTE switch was toggled on. The IMS status was fully registered. There was no excuse for the Tracfone computer to say that the IMEI number and SIM card number was incompatible with the system. Basically, I think Tracfone Wireless was only going to accept fully carrier locked phones. The service agents were paid a commission to sell these phones. So the agents fabricated tales to prevent other phones from being registered in the system. Apparently, older customers, had no options but to upgrade to a carrier locked Tracfone. The only option I qualified for was a very expensive iPhone XR, costing $400.

Any other phone I offered as a replacement for my old obsolete phone would have been rejected by Tracfone as incompatible with the system. So, I told the agent that Tracfone obviously no longer desired my business and that I would be seeking cell phone service elsewhere. I had a huge surplus of call minutes, texts, and data, which I paid for in good faith, which will go to waste, simply because Tracfone no longer desires my business. Verizon Wireless who owns Tracfone is making a gigantic error by driving the old faithful customer base away from their carrier. I have never been so frustrated with a company and have never been treated with such disdain. I wish Tracfone well, but as a customer, I am through.

Original review: April 3, 2022

I have had TracFone for over a year. I thought they were good but then my phone stopped letting me make calls and I had doctor's office calls saying my phone was out of service when I had 5 bars. Called customer service for help. Was on the phone for an hour and 32 minutes before I got to representative. He started troubleshooting my phone. It was still doing nothing and not working. He then told me he was going to transfer me to another representative for help and I told him do not put me on hold again. Of course he said he was transfer me to a live agent. I was put on hold again and then they hung up on me. After an hour and 56 minutes total. Switching carriers.

Original review: April 1, 2022

I have been a Tracfone customer for many years and never had a problem. Now for the last month I've been trying desperately to purchase a new phone from them since mine is on its last leg. When I originally tried to make this purchase they removed the money from my account and held on to it for a week. Then tried to tell me there was a problem with my bank. They told me to try again and it should work fine. So I did. The same exact thing happened again. Once I again I tried calling them to figure out why they won't allow me to make this purchase. Yet again they blamed my bank. It is an absolute joke. I purchased my last phone with this same card on this same account. Now they are trying to tell me there is a problem. Obviously they have no interest in helping anyone if they have no interest helping someone who has been a customer for 10+ years. Save yourself the trouble and pick a different phone service.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Updated on 04/01/2022: Continued unavailability to activate a phone my mother purchased new through major online company. Spending way too much time trying to access any method Tracfone claims we can contact them. Always buffered by computerized robot that doesn't allow you to complete process. Finally found a way to possibly access a human voice by calling. Waited 40 min. on hold just to be told I would need to speak to another department. I begged him to not get me hung up on, but they hung up on me anyway!

This was after I had tried to wade through text msg. assist where I managed to wade all through the questions entering serial # and let me enter my confidential Credit Card info just to tell me my phone wasn't activated. When I clicked on the link to RE-ENTER all the info I just went through, it sent me to a "page not found" dead space. They claim they have an email address to contact them but don't provide one. Even had another cell service employee check the website & he couldn't find one either. Serious incompetent business.

Original Review: Filled in all the information and serial number to activate a phone and hoped to transfer a previously used phone number. Not hearing any response nor activation in 24 hours so trying to contact to have someone on the phone help me through activation if we can't have old number. No matter what method I try, phone, chat, text - all suggested by company there is nobody available to speak, chat nor message me back to solve my problem. Activating a phone does not take 24 hours to a week to activate. It should be automatic.

Pathetic computerized voice at phone number that says I can speak to customer service, but I need to answer questions. It leads me into a dead end to nowhere and then hangs up on me. No button on live chat to submit the questions they ask - leads to dead end contact option. Text 611611 isn't any better. Clicked on the link the message sent me and it sends me back to a screen telling me the three options to contact and nobody to message me back. Totally disgusted!!!!

Original review: March 30, 2022

Tracfone makes it virtually impossible to port out a number. In my case, Tracfone rejected a port out request from Visible but would not tell me why making it impossible for me to address the problem. Avoid.

Original review: March 29, 2022

I recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a Tracfone and could not activate the new phone over the web using my existing tracfone number. After spend 2 full days (7-8 hours each day) on the phone and on the chat (sometimes simultaneously) I was told that the brand new phone was defective. I spent about half of my time on hold waiting for "the next level" support - which NEVER answered. All "hold" phone calls are routed back to first level support -- and usually to a person that speaks less English than the previous operator! I sent the brand new "defective" phone back and had to wait almost 3 weeks to receive the replacement. The replacement phone that I received was a USED, supposedly refurbished phone.

I have just spent another 5 hours on the phone with tracfone (same as before - each operator's English was worse and still getting transferred back to first level support when I dared to ask for second/third level) in an attempt to get this one working -- only to be told that this phone is defective and that I will have to ship it back and WAIT (and wait...) for another replacement. Meanwhile, I have no service and the 5800+ minutes that I have bought and paid for in my previous years with tracfone are sitting unused. With that many minutes, I am beginning to suspect that the corporate attitude is "Hey, we already have this suckers money, why give him service?"

Original review: March 25, 2022

My 91 year old mother has a prepaid flip phone and a customer for 25 years. They changed networks and had to get a new phone, she wanted the same number and had 338 mins left on phone. Very rude people and lie to you. Told they would send a new phone and never received one. Dealt with them for a week on hold long periods and never helped us. Also hard to understand as they speak broken English. Hung up On me several times, awful customer service! Look elsewhere for a phone.

Original review: March 20, 2022

TracFone used to be good. Now they are bad. Their online chat has been down for a week. You hold forever to get through to their tech dept. on the phone... And get a person who is not able to help & only tells you it will get escalated. I have spent many many hours trying to get someone that has a clue to help... With no luck.

Original review: March 19, 2022

I was a long-time customer of Tracfone through the Straight Talk brand. Early in 2022, they told me had to buy a new phone due to their pending network upgrade. Rather than do that, I tried to switch my phone and number to another carrier. Numerous attempts failed on various errors, and Tracfone customer service was practically no help. I needed my account number; they would not give it to me. I needed my zip code; at first, they didn't tell me it had to be the zip code when I first got the number with another carrier 15 years ago. When they finally told me that, they would not give me the zip code. They hung up on me many times. My new carrier's tech support team had to get on the phone with Tracfone tech support and argue with them before they finally let my number port to the new carrier.

Original review: March 18, 2022

Like most of the other people sharing their experiences my phone was shut off due to networking issues and they promised a new phone within 1-3 days. We are now on day 12 and I am still without a phone. The customer service at this company is TERRIBLE. The chat on line doesn't work, the texting option doesn't work and I have spent 3 different days going round and round in the customer service department with people that speak little to no English for hours. I would suggest staying away from this company!

Original review: March 15, 2022

First, Tracfone deleted my review at their site. I've been a long term subscriber. The phone broke the power connection part which of course cannot be replaced without a lot of money. Got another phone, not tracfone (TF) but needs a TF SIM card. I ordered on from TF w/ 1-3 days delivery. Time had passed and called TF from another phone and got placed on terminal hold, gave up. Tried their "chat". Jerome kept telling me to do things I had already done, repeatedly. He said "just wait and maybe it will show up." Are you kidding? Tried another, "Wendy" but same thing until their "hours available" standard message popped up and then nothing. I re-engaged and after further discussion I was told to "turn off the phone, pull and re-insert the SIM." Had to remind them "I don't have a SIM card, that's why I'm, calling."

TF does everything they can, I think to keep costs down and they've cut too many corners. Hardware is cheapest possible, service availability at a minimum and help for questions beyond more than the very basic not there. If you need a reliable phone with predictable support, there's others. I am switching to another no contract carrier today. For a few extra dollars save yourself days of frustration and do not use Tracfone.

Original review: March 13, 2022

Tracfone owner for over ten years - not without glitches in customer service. My 3G flip-phone was cut off without notice - I had seen a notice that Verizon had purchased Tracfone; however the cutoff date listed was 12/2022 - not February 2022. I received nothing from Tracfone. I called Tracfone - getting to an agent took me over an hour. Agent said I could receive new flip phone or Smartphone. Do not want Smart phone. Then was charged $4.95 per phone (2) for "expedited" mailing of new phone. Told to "call Tracfone to set up your new phone". I called on March 10 - 2 hours total - "okay, phone is set up but must speak with another office to transfer your minutes - they are not responding - please call back tomorrow".

Friday, 3/11/2022 - over two hours on landline - same story - customer service must speak with another department to verify your minutes (14,949. 10minutes) and transfer them - disconnected 3 times final result - again - no answer from 'other department' Saturday, 3/12 - 5 hours on landline - bad connection - other department has 'phone problems' - can arrange for you to call new number with Ticket number - Sunday, 3/13 - called Direct Response department - this time, after over an hour - "I spoke with other department - you have NO minutes to transfer - sorry, would you like to purchase?" I obtained operator name and name of 'other department - "Loss Prevention". This is NOT a small amount of money invested - this is almost $500 stolen.

The same thing occurred in 2017 with my "only" smartphone - sudden disappearance of over 4,000 minutes, over 5,000 data items, and a year's subscription! That is over $1000! Company is listed in Florida - check with State shows multiple name changes, multiple inactives and the same address for all concerned. It is a shell company - with call centers overseas - at least 4 different accents and countries since 3/10 in my trials - plus over 8 hours of waiting for "other department" to answer! I'm notifying FTC, State of Florida, and FBI if necessary.

Original review: March 12, 2022

If you enjoy being kept on hold and listen to them telling you are next. If you are put on rotation, that was good for 4 hours. Called back because phone still doesn’t work, going on 2 hours this time. Must be me because the next available representative will be with me shortly..

Original review: March 11, 2022

When I bought the prepaid plan, I also bought their phone. The Best Buy seller spent 2+ hours getting the customer service to help him have my cell to receiving incoming calls. It finally worked, but 2 weeks afterwards the internet connection stopped working, as well as incoming calls failed again. I lost income not being able to receive calls, as it took me time to realize it didn't work. I'm thanking my lucky stars that I can soon replace both the phone and sim card. I wouldn't suggest this company to anyone.

Original review: March 10, 2022

Stay away from this company at all costs! I've used Tracfone flip phones for over 7 years because they were cheap and easy to use and carry. Occasionally I would have to replace our phones due to SIM card issues and poor reception even though I live in a highly populated area in south Florida. Sometimes the phone I had would no longer work due to changes in their operational system, each time at my expense. Dealing with CS reps was a real trial of patience as they spoke English poorly and/or couldn't resolve the problem. On one of our phones I had to call the company (vs doing it on the phone itself) to add time/days with the prepaid card I purchased. This happened every time. A real pain.

The last straw was when they didn't support the 3G phones we had. They were supposed to supply new phone at no cost. I've spent many hours on the phone to CR reps and online to do this without results. This is because to finalize the process the replacements, you have to enter a code that they send you. Only problem is that they send it to the tracfone that no longer works thus you never get the code. They have never been able to send the code to my email address or another phone that's operational. I spent two weeks trying to get this done. I now feel that it's a scam to get you to quit trying so they will never have to honor their commitment. I lose the time, days and use of the phones that I paid for.

Original review: March 4, 2022

My phone was disconnected without any warning after the latest refill. Spent two hours trying to resolve the issue just to be told that my phone no longer compatible with their network starting 2/21/2022. Meanwhile I used it on 2/27/2022 with refill on 2/28/2022. And they are refusing to refund the money since according to them the phone was in use "after disconnecting". STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: March 4, 2022

So far 5 days of 1 hour conversations w/reps on an 'escalated case'. They advised me to clear my computer's history most recently. Another escalation, another call back. Phone has not worked properly since I got it. Nonsense, a 1 is much too good for this company and its CS. Can't access Account any way at all despite reps' reassurances, wither on phone or desktop computer. No solutions - just more call backs on escalations. Stay far away from Tracfone. S*** and shino**.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

Horrible, horrible, horrible customer service. Plus they include internet time spent on WiFi against the mobile data allotment. Using Android internals AND a network monitoring app, I was able to verify I only used 1.5 Gb of mobile/cell data in Feb, with another 13.8 Gb done on WiFi. Tracfone charged all 15.3 Gb as mobile data overcharging me by $80. When I talk to customer service & tech support, they are utterly clueless (on purpose?) and switch me to a "supervisor" who then spends the first ten minutes repeating all the proof of identity questions the previous three agents asked me, and then tell me "there is nothing they know to do" about any potential problems in how they are calculating data usage. 5 years ago they were bought by Verizon. I will be leaving Tracfone and NOT going to Verizon. Way to go idiot moron executives drinking cocktails at the 19th green of the clubhouse and thinking up new ways to cheat the customer.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

In 2016 I bought a LG L33L G4 GSM phone thru QVC with triple minutes. Only literally days before Tracfone upgraded their network to G5 I received a text message that my service including 911 would be ending. Their info as was the info on national news that only G3 service was to be affected. I contacted 4 independent Techs and my son who works in I.T. for a large international company and they as well as several sales reps at companies like Walmart, Target, and Best Buy told me that there was no reason that the phone I had should not work, but that some features may not be as fast.

I contacted TF and was told that I was qualified to receive a free replacement phone and that I'd receive an email confirming when it was shipped, but no such email ever arrived. Long story short, they disabled my ability to make voice calls on February 22, but the DATA and TEXT still appear to be working just fine and I continue to send and receive text messages.

Being miffed about the situation, I set up to have my number ported/transferred over to ** and the morning after, I suppose their attempt to salvage keeping me as a customer I received an email telling me that another phone, exactly the same phone as I already have with exactly the same features was being shipped to me and my guess is that when I call in to have it activated they will simply re-activate the voice; but now they will have gotten rid of the TRIPLE MINUTES that I had. This screams to me that the Tracfone people are not the kind of people that I want to do business with any longer while I will also not the large number of others who have not had nice things to say about the Tracfone support. It is simply worse than terrible. SJ@Wausau

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

They decline to provide account number needed for porting out phone number. In their chat sessions, they don't resolve the issue and false promise to callback within 30 min and never does - happened 2 times. They give false instructions to find the account number from online account management, which failed transfer 3 times. I have whole chat session recorded. I wasted 4+ hours in 3 days and still didn't get the issue resolved. Finally filed complaint in FCC.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I was informed that my phone would no longer be supported after my service end date. I went on-line to purchase a new phone, which I did. Told that new phone would arrive in about 3 days. Unknown to me, Tracfone immediately deactivated my old phone, and I am still waiting, after 8 days, for the new phone, which Tracfone says is still waiting order fulfilment. I have talked to 6 customer service reps and 2 chats and have gone on Facebook site. No one seems to be able to do anything and the most recent call, after waiting over 40 minutes, was dropped, and the latest plea on Facebook is being ignored. Tracfone will not reactivate my old phone until the new one arrives, nor will they tell me where my new phone is. But, I continue to be deducted service days for a service I cannot use.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

They have the worst customer service. I was trying to port my number over to Mint Mobile and when I put in the details of my account it stated my zip code was wrong. I checked my contact information on their app and found it was all correct. I called customer service and was told they had a different address and I should update it on the website. I told them I'm staring right at it and that it's the one I am entering. The agent repeatedly told me to do the same and finally I asked to speak to a manager. He then hung up on me. I called back 3 more times and still never got a resolution to my problem. Terrible company and Terrible service. I would NEVER recommend them to ANYONE.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I lost my phone, so called Tracfone cust serv - on hold for over 49 min. Finally got someone who could barely speak English. I told her what had happened and that I needed to get another phone. She transfers me and on hold for another 30 min. Got another who was poor at English. By that time, I'd had enough so I repeatedly told the guy I wanted to cancel. HE WAS GOING TO TRANSFER ME AGAIN. I hung up. Went to bank to block auto pay.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I had TracFone for a number of years. I rarely used it as it remained in my car and was solely for emergencies or when I might not have access to another phone. Because of the infrequently of use I cannot complain, or really comment on, the quality of service. It was available when needed and seemed to perform adequately. However, I decided not to renew service in September and received a cancellation confirmation when I closed the account. However, the emails (spam) continued as though I was still a customer. I did an online chat, sent emails, unsubscribed and called the 800 number (numerous time) in an attempt to stop the spam. However, Tracfone continues to ignore my requests to stop sending spam regardless of how I’ve made the request.

Calling the 800 number is the worst as they have insufficient trained representatives who speak broken English, have, or say they have, no access to account information, no current equipment information and seemingly no desire to do anything but upsell you to the required new equipment. Wait time for customer service call be in excess of 45 minutes only to have them tell you that they cannot do what you want and need. I have no idea how this company stays in business with such poor customer service. Honestly I would do without phone service rather then return to TracFone.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

This is supposed to be an easy phone but they put too much smartphone crap on it and made it so complicated it is nearly impossible to use. If I wanted a smartphone I would use one. I want a phone that works. This came with a voice that took an hour to figure out how to shut it up. It doesn't get a signal where I live like my old 3G did (same ATT tower). I cannot save contacts to SIM so the first time I wash this or drop it in the creek I lose everyone. It has very difficult and complicated voicemail. Everything is nearly impossible to find that I need, and I don't need much. What I need is a PHONE, not a computer! And I cannot hear it and have yet to figure out how to turn on the speaker!

So now I have no phone to use and I wasted hours and hours of time and trouble, and money. And a 24 hour (so far) migraine from trying to make it work, which it just doesn't. Also since it cannot get a signal here where my old 3G worked it seems to drain the battery quickly so I cannot even keep it on. This is the most useless thing since they came out with useless smartphones.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I have been a Tracfone customer for many many years. Have always put up with poor customer service and lack of knowledge and training. But they have stepped over the line. They are putting in a new system that will not service my older phone. So they informed me I would have to buy a new phone or lose all service. What about my existing time and over 2000 minutes and over 1000 texts remaining? Sorry, lose them unless you buy new phone. Any refunds? Nope. None. Pay us for new phone or bring new phone or lose everything, no refunds, no adjustments except we will give you $75 off a new phone from us. Folks they do not seem to care about customers who have been with them for years. I am moving on.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

All the websites direct consumers to 1-800-867-7183 for contact with Tracfone at any level. This number goers directly to somewhere in Asia where polite young ladies with minimal English skills maneuver customers through endless mazes to nowhere. I bought a new Galaxy A32 G5 on 12-10-21. It imploded 12-14-21. I found a voice on Tracfone who said I could return it via UPS. Tracking number **. At 5 pm on the 14th, I returned the phone via UPS. I had already bought $20.00 and $38.50 in phone time. Between 12-16-21 and 1-5-22, I made 29 calls to 1-800-867-7183. Each time an automated robot tried to interfere with the call. I had to say "agent" "agent" "agent" before I was transferred to a noisy boiler room with very poor reception and a woman who said: "it was in process", "it was in process", "not sent", "it was in process", "it shipped" and on 12- 22, I was transferred to a "higher authority". Then I was transferred to the warehouse. Then disconnected.

By 12-27, I was transferred to a "higher higher authority" who said the phone would be coming from Tennessee in 3-5 days. On 1-3-22, I called and was transferred up the line to another "higher higher authority" who said phone NOT SENT. This double authority said phone would be sent in two days. NOT SENT. On 1-5-22, I called again and by demand climbed up to a triple higher authority. After 46 minutes, all calls were over 20 minutes in length, the triple authority said phone would arrive in 3-5 days. NO PHONE. Miami based Tracfone does all its business through Asian boiler rooms to get a replacement phone from Tennessee to Florida. Unlike Amazon and Comcast, there are no e-mail links to the Tracfone officers. I sent two e-mails and one letter to CEO Eduardo Diaz Corona. No reply. If there is a way to attach my letter to this form, I will. I have had Tracfone since 2017. Never had a need of their phantom services before.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Twenty five year customer from the start of this service, now for the last two weeks attempting to contact the company about a phone that was supposed to be sent to me due to the 3G service shutdown. Every call over five hours on hold, being transferred from one person to the next only to be disconnected multiple times and have to begin the process over again. No issues with this service till now, and feel there is a coupe that is beginning to steal all airtime from their customers and shut down the company and file bankruptcy. No response on any channel for customer service, chats, website, or customer service, Today alone over four and a half hours on the phone to no avail, Still no satisfaction, taking my business elsewhere. After all my years of loyalty to this company, this is how I am treated. I would run for the hills from this company, Totally unprofessional and nontransparent. Use another service, this is a scam at this point.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

For years I was happy with Tracfone, until they made me give up the flip phone and get a smartphone, which they sold me super-cheap. BUT I found out there isn't enough signal strength where I live for a smartphone, so it only works if I'm in a city half an hour away. I tried to switch to another provider, but I need Tracfone to unlock my phone... And they've given me one delay and excuse after another, blaming it on the manufacturer. In the first place they should've verified that the smartphone would work in my area, and now they should expedite the unlocking. Beware, consumers!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I had just become one of the top sellers for the company I worked with and thought I could get by without having to have a cellphone. I was tired of making sure no one stole the cell antenna off the Mercedes... It was ridiculous and costly, monthly bills sometimes would run well over a $1000 bucks. And if you weren't on time with your payment, your service was off the very next day. If you're a salesman, or anyone in any profession and you value your reputation and business, the sound of a sterile robotic female voice stating "sorry, but this number is temporarily disconnected" can be a devastating one. It could kill a sale, or cause a major client to brake off that first appointment you finally scheduled. You may never get a second chance.

I was going to let that happen to me. I saw where Tracfone offered a prepaid plan that involved only a few hundred minutes, but the main thing was that the prepaid card also gave you 365 days of service. Back then I listened to a lot of talk radio while I was in the car. I mostly made my calls from the office, so even if I ran out of minutes, I would still have voice mail to pick up any calls from anyone trying to reach me, and I would know they had called because it still showed up on the phone. If I was out of minutes, I would just return the call as soon as I could, and the best part was that once you bought another card you would 90 days, not just thirty.

Right now, today, as I write this one of my Tracfones will remain in service, even if I run out of minutes, and make no calls, I would still have service through the rest of 2022, and I think until April of 2023. So if you're starting out in your professional life, you couldn't have a better partner in business. Every time I have had to call customer service they were ALWAYS able to handle my problems, and did so politely and expertly. My only problem with them is that they haven't asked me to do a television commercial for them yet. Good luck out there... join Tracfone.

Sincerely,