TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.4/5 (542 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

Cannot connect to Basic International. On phone this weekend for over 7 hours to several representatives with no solution. Three even said I needed to buy a global plan to dial overseas. (Not true. Yearly plan includes Basic International.) Who can you contact in this company to solve problems? Tracfone used to have acceptable customer service but not anymore. Avoid.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

I bought a Tracfone in August and in just 2 days it stopped working. I immediately returned it, but every time I call customer service to get an update as to when I will get the phone or a comparable replacement I get lied to. "It's being shipped tomorrow." "You will receive it in 2-3 days." "I will have someone from our executive resolution department contact you within 12 hours." Etc., etc. On and on. I mailed the headquarters in Miami a typewritten letter with all the phone info and my contact info and I didn't even get the courtesy of a response. It's now October and still nothing. I guess if you get a phone from them and it works, you're in business, but if you get a dud like I did you're beat. I would rate at zero stars but system does not allow you to rate below 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

We have been Tracfone customers for 16 years, and it has gone downhill since then. Since Verizon bought Tracfone, there is no flexibility in service. We bought new annual plans, and they insist that we change sim cards to Verizon... It doesn't work at our residence. ATT did. When you call Tracfone, now you get people trying to speak English and they are difficult to understand. Time to leave.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

1) Purchased phone with "what's in the box" description including a charger. None was in the box. 8+ calls over 2+ months to TracFone's numerous "customer service" agents resulted in many promises of "it will arrive in 3-5 days." It never did. Final call ended with agent saying that I would have to buy my own charger and that "there is no record of those conversations"!!! That's possibly true since there seems to be no documentation/record kept of the conversations -- I had to repeat the same story every time I called. The same agent asked me for any phone #s that I had contacted (possibly to validate the "will be sent" promise), and when I provided one with an extension, I was told "that's not a viable number" even though I had made contact with an agent using it. Several Tracfone-initiated call-backs put me on hold to "wait for the next available agent"!!! Was also provided with incorrect "ticket number" for the item.

2) Returned from trip overseas (the phone worked fine) only to find NO connectivity: phone, Gmail, internet. Again, numerous calls over 2 days to resolve the issue. Varying results from varying agents: phone works but no internet connection, internet connection but no phone connection, nothing works after phone is turned off and then on. Final agent was able to resolve the problems. Among other issues, one of the previous agents had cancelled my service plan!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I bought this Tracfone with a service card. Did all I was asked but the phone will only call out and not receive incoming calls, tried customer assistance. Got this girl who was less than useless asking me the number I was calling from time and time again, asking me what my last 4 numbers of the credit card I used and saying I was wrong, asking my last 4 numbers I had used and saying I was wrong! Saying she would send me a SMS and what is the code number that came through AFTER the call ended. I asked to talk to someone in the USA and was informed I would be called back within 2 minutes....2 hours now and no call. I will never use this company again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I have been a Tracfone customer for 20+ years. Throughout the years I have upgraded phones with them. Recently my phone stopped making or receiving calls so I decided to get a new phone through Tracfone so I could keep my minutes. The new phone arrived in 2 days and then I spent the next 2 days trying to get it activated. Tracfone customer service is horrible, polite but incompetent. I was on the phone for a total of 4 hrs, transferred to eight different people, none of which could fix the problem. It was very hard to understand many of them and if you ask to be transferred to a US based call center they refuse. You cannot self activate your phone as the directions imply. Long story short, I will be using a different cell phone provider from now on - they have lost a long standing client.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

My husband bought a new phone. He called them to set it up. Two hours later it was still not set up then they hung up on him. He called again and again. They couldn't set it up. He asked to speak to a manager. They said no and hung up. The 3rd try was a hour. The phone still not activated so we are switching to Straight Talk.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Tracfone? Total systemic incompetence, complete lack of accountability or follow-up, and a severe language barrier with all customer service representatives--if you can comprehend one word of a sentence you're doing well. Over the past week I spent more than 20 hours attempting to activate my new Tracfone and get it working reliably, much of that with "high level" technical support. They were incapable of addressing my problems. I'm now attempting to return the phone for a refund and cancel my service, and that is turning out to be extremely difficult. Avoid them at all cost.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Tracfone was okay for the past few years. But I had read some things about their mediocre customer service getting worse after Verizon bought them out. I recently found some unexplained activity on my account that I never requested, including a "device upgrade" with a ticket number. My phone has never been replaced. There were a couple of other things that never happened. Did they put another customer's transaction on my account by mistake? My service still works, but I'm going to find another MVNO.

Original review: July 29, 2022

On July 21, 2022 online with a Tracfone Customer Care person I was told I could buy a SIM card to use on my own cell phone for wireless service and was assisted with the purchase of the card. After receiving the card and installing per instructions I attempted to activate but was not able to as it was indicated as not a valid sim card. After three days with chats and telephone calls being disconnected with both at least twice Tracfone was not able to have my phone work. One of the Customer Care persons offered to sell me a service plan indicating my sim card was active yet no matter what I was told to do by subsequent CC persons the phone still will not work!

I have requested a reversal on the credit card account via my Bank and await further information from them. This situation has been going on for 3 days and has caused me great frustration and inconvenience as I have closed my account with a previous wireless provider. Every time I communicated with Tracfone CC people I would get different information. This is the worst company on Earth!

Original review: July 21, 2022

I signed up for TracFone's auto pay plan and was billed. The online page tells me my service will end on 8/17/22! I can't use my phone to make a call or get one because the thing tells me I'm out of minutes! How can I be out of minutes when I buy unlimited? I waited on 611 almost 30 minutes for a customer service person that told me I had minutes on my phone but couldn't seem to do anything about the problem! I suggest that everyone avoid TracFone unless you just really like headaches!

Original review: July 14, 2022

Have used TracFone for years but may not for much longer unless things change for the better. TracFone has gone from a good company to bad in terms of service and customer support. They can be great for non contract phone service but their customer support is atrocious and the website for the company has become devastatingly unusable following an update to the TracFone website which has made it difficult to add time, activate/re-activate phones, or get customer service harder than before the major overhaul of their website.

Was far better to do things before the change and getting any form of customer support with clear English speakers is very difficult. Depending on which network towers they are using for their service you can have good to non-existing service and not all zip codes in the United States are recognized such as the zip code where I live which puts me constantly into roaming when at home which costs more minutes than it should.

The company NEEDS a serious overhaul from top down where they put the customers and service connectivity first as it used to be. The problems they have now need to be dealt with so the usability of both the phones and their own website are corrected and made more engaging again as it was before the overhaul which destroyed the usability of the website to unmanageable levels.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I had this service for 8 years. I recently signed up for the ACP program and was given free minutes. As the minutes were expiring, I called to be sure to extend my service. The rep stated I was not in the ACP program???? I was then going to be disconnected for 7-10 business days and the rep stated I had to reenroll??? I stated I still have my enrollment number and I should not have been cancelled. I stated I could not lose my service due to important calls, etc. due to disabilities. The rep reassured me he wouldn't disconnect me, but he did!

I had to buy minutes and then I decided to switch carriers. I have had nothing but issues with their service. Their reps are unknowledgeable and told me the phones are not locked. When I tried the new carrier's SIM card, I found out they are locked. After calling to make a request for them to unlock my phone, I noticed they disconnected my service! So now I am without service for another 4 days! Unbelievable! BEWARE of the information they provide! I have moved forward with getting refunds and they are refusing that too! Terrible terrible service!

Original review: July 2, 2022

Bought a TracFone that did not work. Contacted customer service to return phone. They sent me return mail label which I used. But no refund. Now they say they know nothing about a refund!! Good thing I kept all my documents because I plan to rock their world until they refund my money. Staff have no idea how to answer questions and have no clue what they are doing. Have spent hours with them on phone, either getting transferred or hung up. Lovely company!

Original review: June 30, 2022

I called them with a problem. First I was on hold for around 10 minutes. The person I spoke with said they would gladly help me with my problem, but he had to transfer me to another department. While on hold with that department a recording said I could have a call back instead of holding on. I chose that. About 45 minutes later I got a call from a recording and again was put on hold for another 10 minutes. They should clean up their act or hire more people. Very annoying service.

Original review: June 29, 2022

My wife and I are octogenarians. We've had a pair of Tracfone flip phones for years, primarily for emergencies, and we usually renewed our airtime service a year at the time. Recently, I obtained an iPhone and am still trying to learn to use it. Meanwhile we still maintain our Tracfone service. A while back Tracfone we learned that Tracfone's 3G service would end and that we had to upgrade our phones to continue usage, and Tracfone offered a free replacement phone. I obtained an updated flip phone and activated it for my wife and transferred her remaining service time to it. And I obtained a compatible smart phone for myself but did not attempt to activate it or transfer service time to it at the time as I was busy playing with my iPhone.

A couple of days ago I decided to activate the Tracfone smart phone and transfer my remaining minutes and service days to it. I found the Tracfone website vastly changed from my last visit, virtually unusable. I did, however, succeed in transferring my phone number to the new smart phone, but I was unable to transfer service. A screen message informed me they could not complete my request and that I should try later or call a number that was provided. Next night I tried again with the same results, so I called the number prescribed.

Long story short, I was connected with a service rep who seemed willing to help, but, unfortunately, I could not understand his foreign dialect. In the end I simply gave up and hung up. After ending the phone call, I checked the new smart phone status (by texting BALANCE to 611611) and a reply text message showed that my remaining minutes had in fact been transferred to the new phone BUT MY APPROXIMATELY 8 MONTHS OF REMAINING SERVICE DAYS had not. To the contrary, the report stated that my service ended 6/28/22, which is the date of our conversation. In other words, the rep activated the phone for the one day we were talking, and, as it stands, I am cheated out of about eight months service time.

I tried the chat function on Tracfone's website - so as to maybe get around the language barrier - but it would not work at all. I filled in the chat form with the requested information, but there was no automatic response and no 'send' or 'submit' button. I sent an email to an address I found in Google search results but have not received a response (and don't know for sure if the email address is valid tho the email did not bounce). I've given them a lot of money over the years, and I've had emergency phone service until now. But the website and the customer service have, in my opinion, gone to pot.

Original review: June 27, 2022

I like the low cost but I don't have service everywhere and I just got a new phone and didn't get a SD card with it when it should be included ready to activate. It's a pain in my ** to be completely honest.

Original review: June 26, 2022

Been with them for yrs, old phone broke. Bought a new phone and plan, they are giving me a song and dance about account # and pin #. Always bought a pre paid card or added minutes on line, no account or pin. Use the phone for calls only, so it was good enough. Will not activate new phone. So I am out money for the new phone and plan. Not Happy.

Original review: June 25, 2022

My wife and I each had our own phones and numbers. My phone died. Soon after my wife's failed to function properly. We decided to switch carriers. In the attempt to carry forward our phone numbers we spent roughly eight (8) (THAT's EIGHT) hours working with the new carrier to accomplish with Tracfone what should have taken maybe ten minutes! Countless "verifications of identity". Questions like "What credit card did you use to make payments with?" "What were three of the last phone numbers you called? "VERIFY YOUR STREET ADDRESS." "WE HAVE TO PROVE IT IS REALLY YOU."!!! What were your pin numbers? ON AND ON over a period of SIX (6) (THAT'S SIX) DAYS. Utterly frustrating. Utterly aggravating. WORST company we have ever dealt with. Horrendous customer service. Looking for a phone service and carrier? You could do much much better than Tracfone.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Tracfone has dragged my grandpa out now for over 3 months and are now refusing to give a refund. They claim he used a 3rd party to renew his 1 year plan, which HE DID NOT. They don't want to verify his account because he's been without a phone and there's been no activity (CAN"T ACTIVATE THE PHONE THEY FORCED HIM INTO) in over 90 days. I have spent countless hours trying to get him a WORKING phone and they do nothing for him!! DO NOT USE!!! They take advantage of elderly people and do nothing to assist you other than follow their bogus "SCRIPTED" ** and if you ask for a manager, more times than not, they will hang up on you after you've been on hold for a half hour. BIGGEST FRAUD OUT THERE!!!

Original review: June 16, 2022

Moved and needed new phone number, mobile data stopped working. Was told to buy new SIM. Bought SIM, they disconnected old phone number and never activated new SIM with new number. Now they cannot find any recorded of old number, chat is useless, had just paid for full month with old number, now no data carryover, 38gb lost and no phone service. Keep away from this company, their customer service is awful.

Original review: June 15, 2022

Trying to call Tracfone customer service is a real headache. I called and of course these days there are no live people answering, so I get all of these voice recordings trying to get to a person who could help me load minutes on my phone and it took around 15 minutes. I was on hold and then disconnected. So again I wasted 15 minutes for nothing. This isn't the first time I have had problems with the customer service. So angry this time I had to leave a review. Tracfone is a joke.

Original review: June 12, 2022

First, I had a phone for my son and he broken the phone. My dad came and I got him a another Tracfone while trying to keep the same number. That didn't work and I ended up getting a new number. Then I cancelled the old number. I started getting billed twice in a month for 2 months. I called about the issue and expected to be fixed. They said they can't do anything. I ended up going to my account and canceled the auto-paid but still get billed for one line.

Another month passed, online automatic transaction was done and still got an inactive line. And after talking with a customer for almost 20 mins, he was not able to see that my tracfone statement shows that they got a payment from me. Apparently, he talked to his supervisor and he also was not able to see that my online tracfone statement shows that I paid money. How is that possible? Your bank account shows money is taken by tracfone and also your online tracfone account statement shows that tracfone got paid from you and they still can't see that in the system. So far I lost $60. And as they can fix the issue, I will be better off with another service. Very sad.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I recently found a better phone deal with another company, so I decided to switch. I opted to port my number from TracFone to the new provider, or tried to anyway. Tracfone chose to ignore my online porting request, so I ended up calling them after a couple of days. I spent close to 7 hours on the phone (mostly on hold) and talked to a dozen or so customer service representatives who conveniently dropped the call every time I said I was switching providers and wanted to port my number to the new provider. I eventually filed a claim with the FCC and it took Tracfone another two weeks to respond to that. I ended up just having to get a new number because I didn't feel like dealing with their incompetent support anymore. If you need support of any kind, don't choose Tracfone.

Original review: April 23, 2022

I have been trying for a week to add days to my plan. Tracfone won't let me into my current plan to do that. On-line chat was no help. It will put you into an endless loop of windows. I have lost hundreds of minutes and texts because of this. I am dropping Tracfone.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I have used TracFone for over 20 years and until now have been very happy with the phones I have had over the years and the service. Tracfone is promoting 6 months free service ($25 plan) with a purchase of a iPhone SE. For the past several years I have been buying the yearly plan with unlimited text & talk with 12 g of data. I have never used all of my data and carry it over when I purchase for the next year.

I bought the phone, never received a confirmation when it would arrive. I called. A rep was on the phone with him for 1 hour and 4 min. All I wanted was a tracking number so that I could know when to expect it. I have no idea why he took so long to find it. When I purchased the phone I noticed an additional $25 was added on to my bill for 1 month service (remember this is suppose to be free). I called a rep he told me once I activate the phone to call back and ask for the refund dept..

I now have my phone, activated and call the refund dept, they tell me that they can only give me my free 6 months after my current service expires. This means I will lose any data I have remaining on my phone. I asked for the Supervisor and he said the same thing. I was on the phone for 50 min. I can’t believe how tracfone has changed. I will be switching unless tracfone rectifies this, so far I have not heard anything since I wrote to them several days ago. They are losing two (husband and I) 20 plus year customers.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Elderly gentleman who lost a refurbished Tracfone since was only used for emergencies. No Imei # was provided. Replaced lot phone with another refurbished phone. Had to pay for a month service. Contacted Tracfone for the courtesy to transfer my unused minutes from lost phone. Was advised they needed an Imei# even though they had all info in front of them and I was calling from my landline phone. Wife has been with Tracfone for 15 years and has received the courtesy in the past. Now we were jerked around & said it could not be done without IMEI #. How can you provide something that wasn’t provided? RUN. DO NOT BUY A TRACFONE. Can never speak with anyone from the United States. Poor rapport with its customers.

Original review: April 10, 2022

I ordered a new phone from Tracfone. Didn’t receive a confirmation of the purchase. Called Tracfone to check on the order. Was told there was no record of the order. I then got another phone. Then a phone was delivered to me. I immediately called Tracfone to tell them I needed to return the phone. They agreed to send me a return label, which I still have not received. I’ve been on the phone with them now for 33 minutes being given the runaround. I’ll give an update if I ever get the return label. Won’t hold my breath! Buyer beware!!!

Original review: April 6, 2022

So I have 3 lines with Tracfone. You don't get a lot of data for the money, so I decided to Port the lines out with Cricket Wireless, the phones should be unlocked I assumed I paid for them full price with a debit card, I did not finance them nor sign a contract. All 3 were ordered online. Well assuming I owed the phones since I paid for the phones, that's a joke.. You have to pay 150 dollars per line to unlock the phones. Hmm.. Phones I paid for upfront, no contract on a month to month service? Odd because my AT&T phone once it was paid off was mine and I ported it so how is it that this company owns your phone even though you pay for it upfront..

Apparently when you buy a Tracfone you have to keep it for a year before switching which is absurd for a prepaid non contract company to do. The plans cost more with less data. Sure there's unlimited talk and text the max gigs is 2-5. That's not very many for the price of 40 dollars. I now have to buy 3 new phones to port my numbers which I'll gladly do over ever having to deal with this company ever again.

I told the customer service representative that I will go ahead and mail back the phones because tracfone owns them they stated they don't and there is no contract and yet I still was unable to unlock the device because I didn't have service on a phone we just purchased for my son for his Birthday, my account however and phone numbers have been active for years but since the device itself was new I was unable to unlock it. I am super disappointed in this company and will never ever, ever, ever recommend them to anyone ever again. I just can not believe how they could still "own" my prepaid no contract phone I purchased full price.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Tracfone has upgraded their service to voLTE, or to HD voice. Apparently, many customers received notices that their phones were not compatible with the new upgrade. So, Tracfone offered some of these customers new voLTE phones while supplies lasted. My phone did not meet the new service requirements, so I attempted to secure a new phone through the Tracfone chat line by talking to a service agent. The agent attempted to order a phone but she was stopped in her tracks by a computer message that said all of the phones I was eligible for were "incompatible with my zip code." Therefore, she could not process the order. While I was negotiating with this agent the stock of phones was depleted by other customers. So I no longer qualified for any free phone offers.

Later, I talked to several "resolution" experts who told me my only option was to purchase a voLTE phone. So I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S9 fully GSM unlocked phone with a Android 10 operating system. The phone was LTE, voLTE, capable and worked fine with the ATT tower I was connected to. I got excellent HD voice, texts, and data. I used the phone with my old Tracfone sim card from my previous phone for three months without a glitch. Then, as my service was nearing the expiration date, I decided to contact Tracfone to have the service transferred to my new phone. Then I hit a roadblock. Even though the phone worked without a glitch, Tracfone said the Galaxy S9 was not compatible with their "upgraded" towers, even though it was fully GSM unlocked.

When I used the Galaxy S9 it was fully provisioned. The voLTE switch was toggled on. The IMS status was fully registered. There was no excuse for the Tracfone computer to say that the IMEI number and SIM card number was incompatible with the system. Basically, I think Tracfone Wireless was only going to accept fully carrier locked phones. The service agents were paid a commission to sell these phones. So the agents fabricated tales to prevent other phones from being registered in the system. Apparently, older customers, had no options but to upgrade to a carrier locked Tracfone. The only option I qualified for was a very expensive iPhone XR, costing $400.

Any other phone I offered as a replacement for my old obsolete phone would have been rejected by Tracfone as incompatible with the system. So, I told the agent that Tracfone obviously no longer desired my business and that I would be seeking cell phone service elsewhere. I had a huge surplus of call minutes, texts, and data, which I paid for in good faith, which will go to waste, simply because Tracfone no longer desires my business. Verizon Wireless who owns Tracfone is making a gigantic error by driving the old faithful customer base away from their carrier. I have never been so frustrated with a company and have never been treated with such disdain. I wish Tracfone well, but as a customer, I am through.

TracFone Wireless Company Information