Tracfone

TracFone Wireless
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.30/5

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

My account totals are inaccurate, balance states 0, have over one thousand minutes. Currently in dispute, however unable to use phone. So, I tried to purchase a Talk Add on Card. Currently the talk add-on card is only available on the Tracfone website in the add-on section. However it is not. My phone is in limbo. Requested customer service return a call after 20 min on hold. Sent a link to 611. My customer service experience is like a fireman trying to put out a fire by peeing on it. The analogy is spot on, they don't have a one half a star because they are not dissatisfied till you are dissatisfied! I'm dissatisfied!!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

They have website that has byop (bring your own phone). I need it through food stamps Florida access and they don't send free Tracfone to anyone except medicare and native Americans. Byop costs $59.00 to unlock phone from MetroPCS. It's not free. Or purchase a tracfone! It's not free. The government needs to drop Safelink tracfone and create a new nonprofit service provider. Ban tracfone for false advertising. Not free! From Florida Access!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

In July, I ordered a new phone for my dad through TracFone's website. The chat rep assured me that everything would transfer from his old phone to the new-to-him iPhone. When I went to set up the new phone, I had to call in to their customer service line. The person there told me that the number would NOT transfer and that his contacts also wouldn't transfer. I was on the phone for at least an hour and finally got a supervisor who was able to transfer the number to the new phone. In addition, the directions for installing the new SIM card were confusing and not accurate.

THEN, yesterday MY older TracFone locked up and I was unable to unlock it (it was asking for a Google account login). I was on the line with customer "service" for a half hour. The person kept asking the same questions over and over and clearly did not understand what I was telling him. Eventually, he transferred me to the "unlock department." On hold again. The person who answered informed me that her department was for unlocking a phone so it could be used with a different carrier! I asked for a supervisor who was able to tell me how to do a factory reset on my phone so it would work. I lost all of my contacts and texts, by the way.

The service itself is not good. It often takes three or four tries to make a call. No error or anything (system busy, etc.), just nothing. Lots of dropped calls. Texts can sometimes take up to a half hour to come through (confirmation codes from websites, for example). I live in a rural area with not-good coverage and a cell phone is useful only for texting or when traveling. TracFone is really one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with when it comes to customer service and having really ill-trained and incompetent people providing support to their customers.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

TracFone's shipping department does not follow instructions. I have request new SIM cards on four occasions. I provided the name of my agency and the address. But before shipping, they look at an address database and substitute the information in the database. The packages are now undeliverable. When confronted with the problem, their response is "we are following procedure." But the procedure is not working. "We are following procedure."

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Received notice that I need to buy a new phone on August 22, 2020 for phone purchased from Walmart back in April 2020 because of network changes they knew about for several months before April. This is wrong as the phones shouldn't of been available to be purchased knowing they would soon be obsolete.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Absolutely worst customer service ever!!! Support doesn't know how to fix any issues. Their answer to everything is turn your phone off the turn it back on. Every time they transfer you to a supposed higher level of support you get disconnected. They promise that they are sending you a new SIM card several times that never arrives because apparently everything requires you to change SIM cards. (I was with AT&T for years and never changed SIM cards once)

I signed up in May 5, 2020, the phone still doesn't work and it's August 22, 2020 and by doesn't work I MEAN NO SERVICE! I can't make or receive any calls, no internet, no text. My phone is now a brick!!! I own a consulting company and lost significant business because of this. Worst is I can't get my number back which I've had for years and is out to several hundred clients. Eduardo Corona - TracFone's CEO should have some secret shoppers investigate this. He'd be appalled at what he finds.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

Had Tracfone service for years and I replaced the phone last year. Now every time I hit the dial button, the screen goes black. Nothing, on off switch, swiping, tapping, etc will make it turn back on. Sometimes 30-45 minutes. Hours on line with customer service and the only thing they recommend is that I buy another one of their defective phones. Phones seems to work fine except when I have to make a call. But I am charged for the minutes, 20-30 at a time while I'm connected to someone where I can't disconnect, can't see, can't hear. "Buy a new phone, they say". I can't be the only one with this problem. Not on your life will I buy anything from them again.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I purchased a plan for my son, it didn't activate. I called to inquire about the failure. I was told the phone was not compatible. They told me I would receive a refund. Four calls, five chats later (All Saved) and I'm told nothing they can do to help me! They stole his money and refuse to return it! Thieves and liars! Stay away from them at all costs.

Original review: July 14, 2020

After being a Tracfone happy customer for years I had to buy a new phone after my two year old phone memory didn't work anymore. So I upgraded to a Motorola Moto G7 6.2" HD+ with 32GB of built-in memory that I bought 5/6/2020 thru HSN on sale for $99.99 including 1500 minutes. After a couple of weeks I could not make phone calls. I called Customer Service and after talking to about 7 or 8 persons during different days, waiting for a new SIM card, and losing all my data I was told I need to return the phone because it could not be fixed. When I asked if I needed to return it to HSN I was told it will be faster if I returned it to them (Tracfone) and that I will get a return label in an e-mail. That's when the FUN started! I never received a return label, instead after a week I got a FedEx envelope with instructions and I returned my $99.99 phone.

About two weeks later I received a Moto E6 with 16GB memory that is listed in their website for $39.99!!!! When I called to complain a manager told me among other excuses that WHEN YOU RETURN AN USED PHONE YOU CAN'T NOT GET THE SAME MODEL BACK EVEN IF IT STILL IS UNDER WARRANTY. Besides, she said, my model was not available, was out of stock. I insisted that I wanted at least one with the same amount of memory as the Moto G7 and she agreed to send me an XT1925. I decided to check Tracfone web page to see what model the XT was and guess what: The Moto G7 was advertised ON STOCK in the web page!!!! To make this story shorter: I managed to talk to somebody in the Corporate Office in Miami who I understood. Said I will be getting a Moto G7 within a week. Guess what did I get today: ANOTHER Moto E6!!!!

Reading some of the latest reviews here I can see that Tracfone is not the company it used to be. I wish I didn't have over 2,000 minutes paid for (not counting the 1,500 that came with the new phone) or I will be looking for another cell phone co. I will be calling the Miami Corporate Office tomorrow and I hope I will be able to update this review with better comments at some point.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I was with Tracfone for years and was perfectly content... until I tried to trade in my fliptop for a smartphone. After four days and at least ten hours on the phone with techies, they concluded the smartphone I'd bought was defective. But they couldn't transfer me back to my fliptop, allegedly because Tracfone had switched carriers after I bought it (a friend assures me that's bull). And when I tried to get compensation for the nearly 900 minutes I had left with two months to go, I got disconnected twice from the "billing department." Nor have they responded to a letter of complaint sent to company HQ two weeks ago. Needless to say, I'll never use or recommend Tracfone again.

TracFone Wireless Company Information