TracFone

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

TracFone Reviews

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

2388 TracFone Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My husband and I purchased a TracFone and plan as a starter phone for our daughter. We brought it home and I immediately began activating and setting it up. All was going well until I tried to make a call from the phone, as per instructions. It wouldn't work. Tried again, nothing. Did an online chat with support to fix the problem but when that didn't work, I ended up on the phone for 4 HOURS with tech support being transferred around numerous times, being asked for the same information every time and constantly asked if I would complete a survey. After determining that the phone was defective I was told to return it to the store where I bought it and get a replacement and call back for them to activate it. This was after I called in a third time. My husband was put on terminal hold (45 minutes). I was told NOT to wipe the phone but return it as it was. Who leaves all of their personal info (or worse yet, their child's info) in a phone and expects Walmart employees to wipe the phone after you leave???? So, we went and exchanged the phone, wiping the original phone at the service counter.

We get home and start over with the new phone. However, the minutes plan that we had attached via PIN to the original defective phone could not be used again for the replacement. Back on the phone to tech support. They finally get it transferred over to the new phone because now they can't find a record of the old phone in their system (from an hour earlier). But, surprise, this phone doesn't work either!!! No calls, no texts. It will make one phone call but will not hang up and has to be rebooted every time. Will not receive texts. Another hour of checks for the tech operator and we are told to go exchange it again. NOPE!!!! Going to go get a refund on the phone. I'm screwed on the plan since it's non-refundable and I refuse to get another TracFone.

So my lesson for the day after 5+ hours online and on the phone with tech support, fighting language barriers and bad attitudes, two trips to Walmart, dealing with Walmart staff to make the exchange, and ending up with no phone and $$ lost: DO NOT EVER USE TRACFONE!!!! Save yourself the aggravation and time and money and go a different route.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

We purchased a phone for my grandmother who needed to be able to stay in touch when she drove. We decided to get her the plan that had 1,500 minutes, 1,500 texts, and 1.5g of data. This way she could google things if need be. It’s been six months since we’ve bought the phone and she has only used it to call and text very few times. We were unable to access the internet so we called TracFone to get help. We spent an hour on the phone and they did not help and told us that she used all 1.5g of data. When we asked to hear the data report they told us that they don’t have any records except for August. So we were cheated out of 1.5g of data and were asked if we wanted to buy more. I would not recommend TracFone to any friends or family in the future.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

This is what happened. 1. Checked my account and I had 59 minutes and good until late Feb 2020. 2. Purchased a card showing 90-days 600 minutes. 3. Got the 90 days and 200 minutes. So had 259 minutes and May 2020 as the service end date. 4. Checked the purchase record and it says 200 minute card. 5. Refunded the card as the 3X does not work for my phone and I could get a 60-day card and 750 minutes for less that wasn't a 3X card. 6. After the refund the minutes came off so I bought the 60-day/750 minute card. 7. Checked my account and the service end date was in 60-days, instead of the nearly 210 it should have been.

8. I called to have this fixed and the guy I spoke with just kept arguing with me that the card I just bought only added 60 days so I should have 60 days time. I explained the entire situation to him 3 times. It was good until Feb 2020 before the first purchase, it went to May of 2020, and then after the refund and purchase of the 60-day card I only had 60 days left. He kept saying I only had 60 days of time. I then got angry and explained it a 4th time. He finally reset the end date to late April, which means he had to have a reference to a prior expiration as it was within 1 day of the date I think it should have been. Even after doing so he continued to be argumentative. I have bought many TracFones through the years, but never again. Once the time or minutes are used up on my current one I am done with them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Bought a card to add minutes to my parents phone and called the company beforehand to ask if that certain card would work on their phone. They told me it would so I bought it. Turns out the card was not compatible with the phone. I called customer service and spoke to managers and other people and they pretty much told me there was nothing I could do except spend more money on a different card that would work with the phone. They couldn’t issue me credit or an exchange. They were absolutely no help. Please save yourself time and money and go with a different prepaid phone company. One that works with their customers and doesn’t mislead them.

Resolution response: Aug. 22, 2019

Technical Support has addressed the issue.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I have bought a new phone from Tracfone. I have transferred the plan from the old phone and renewed the service until November 2019. The phone worked well until August 17, 2019. The phone plan stopped working while my son is away and I have no way of contacting him. He can't make or receive calls or send text messages. He is still in California, in a town where he always had service. The plan on the old phone was ending on 08/17/2019. Coincidence they messed that up and didn't realize this is a new phone, plan was transferred and new plan added until November? Tracfone technical support and Customer service it is absolutely useless. The company is ripping off customers and they have no idea how to address any technical problems.

Their support center is located in Philippines and their English does not seem to be that great. You get transferred from department to department and nothing gets addressed. A total joke and waste of time. I talked to Katherine (ID **), Joan (**), Angelo (**). Angelo was patronizing and rude. When asked to be transferred to US department, he stated, quote: "You understand my English, don't you?" So this company doesn't have an office in United States? How do they operate in US then? Meanwhile the service has not been restored and my concern is how to get this addressed dealing with so much incompetency.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

We bought TracFone service, paying $25, through TracFone and tried to port our telephone number from our former service provider. The service did not work. After at least 5 telephone calls to TracFone over 3 days, I was told that my phone was defective. I asked why my phone worked perfectly well with the other service but not with TracFone. After being transferred twice, I was told I could get a refund. I was transferred again to a woman who refused to process a refund, first because I hadn’t offered an IMEI number. When I gave her the IMEI number, she changed her story to I could not have a refund because they couldn’t verify that I had purchased it from them. I hung up in disgust and then, magically, my service began working. After three days of complaining, I finally have service. Hopefully, there will be no more problems since I now know how terrible their customer service is.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have been a loyal customer for TracFone for years. I recently ported my number to GoogleVoice and got a new number for my TracFone account. They would not transfer my minutes to my new number even though I purchased an annual subscription two months earlier. They did not care and told me I was out of luck. Now I realize my number had an account at TracFone, not me. I never thought I would see the day my telephone number would get more respect than me.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

This is by far one of the WORST phone companies on the face of the earth. I have tried many, many times to add minutes to my plan talking to 3rd world people on the other side of the world who can barely speak English. Every single time, they tell me the card is declined instead of fixing their website to be able to accept international credit cards to make the payment. I have complained and complained and complained over 10 times, and to this day, they STILL have not resolved their problems to accept international credit cards to make the payment. There is something seriously wrong with these people. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY AND SAVE YOURSELF THE NIGHTMARE.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Purchased a TracFone with 400 min text, 400 min calling and 400 "min" of web data, 1 year plan, 3 weeks ago. A single word texted counts as one minute/unit (stupid me for believing what the card said). However, I called 3x (ended up in India) and the service reps' English accents (all of them) was horrible. I had to ask 4x with every phrase to repeat (I speak 4 languages fluently and this has never happened). Beyond frustrating. Worse: sending less than 10 pics ate 400Mb of "web" data (though my data usage on my phone shows 12M) and once that happens, you are locked out of the option of purchasing another web data add-on service card online. They all kept steering me to the same Tracfone.com page location and the more I repeated that I only see three options that did not include buying web data, the more they would put me on hold and contact a supervisor on speakerphone in the background.

Just with one representative I was on the phone for an hour. I even suggested that because the data minutes shows as 0 on my phone, that it now will not allow me to purchase more, but they had no idea. They kept suggesting I give them my credit card number and they can purchase the card for me. That was a total no. I finally found a card through Amazon.com and hope that it will work once it arrives. It was a three and a half hour highly frustrating process. This may be a cheap service, but the customer support is non-existent. Shame on you TracFone!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

My family are not big phone users. Calls and texts only. So we don't need anything fancy, which makes TracFone perfect for us. I've had good experience with TracFone for about 15 years. 4 TracFone in my house. I transferred everything over from very old phone to a new one. I bought a phone on July 11, 2019 from TracFone.com. I could not get that phone to work. After over an hour on phone with customer service I was told he would send us a FEDEX prepaid envelope. Phone was returned. Keep in mind over 1400 was put in new phone but then deleted because phone doesn't work. Now no phone has my minutes. They sent me a new phone. Keep in mind I paid $80 for new phone. They sent me a refurbished $40 phone to replace the brand new one that didn't work! I was so mad. I was told to just return it. 2 weeks later no phone! And my original old phone don't work either! I've been with NO phone for a month.

When I called TracFone a week ago I was asked for tracking numbers. Numbers? There is no receipt with the phone and phone #2 went through US postal. She told me she has no record of me in her computer since 2017. OMG! She can't, she go back and at least see a phone was sent to my house a month ago? One was returned? Another returned? Apparently not! She said I can expect a new phone in another week! Just by going by what I told her, and not being able to look me up. Even when giving her my TracFone number. Oh..,c'mon! I have never had problems. But if you get a phone that don't work! Good luck! Every call I've made there is a different operator. Nobody knows a thing and information don't get recorded in their computer properly. It's a mess. I have NO phone. I'll never get reimbursed for my $80 phone. And maybe my 1400 minutes, just lost? Disgusted!!

TracFone Company Information