1.52/5

1522 Cricket Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

I receive at least ten "robocalls" daily with this new "service". None of these calls are for me - they are for the previous person who had the Cricket phone number. Pretty crappy if you ask me. Canceled the service in 60 days. OH, and the only way to cancel the Cricket service is to just stop paying (wouldn't this put you at risk of Collection?) This is straight from Cricket's website and the Rep's mouth. How **. So long.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Decided to give Cricket a try as it was more affordable than AT&T. A few things they don't tell you are. -When you bring your own Android you can't use wifi calling. Apparently Apple will work but not Android. -My mobile data would be working flawlessly with 2 bars of signal and when I hit dial the bars disappeared and it would not call out. As soon as the call dropped the bars came back. My opinion is this was probably due to the fact that I had brought my own phone. -To refer a friend and get the credit you must bring a code given you by said friend so get the code before heading in to switch or you WILL miss out. The other thing is you have to keep service for 60 days to get the credit. This is probably all in fine print but it would be nice to know up front.

I also had a LOT of dropped calls. I also blame this personally on bringing my own phone as my friends do not seem to have this problem. When I talked to customer service they said there was a tower having issues and it should be better by the next day. This was most definitely not the case. Back with AT&T and problem solved.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I bought a phone from Cricket on 3/14/19, once I got home I wiped off the phone before putting it in the case. There was what looked like a piece of hair on the side. It didn't come off when I wiped the phone so I tried getting it off with my finger, only to find out that it was a crack! I bought a Galaxy S9 for $609. So, I went to return it on 3/15 and was told that I couldn't exchange the phone or get a refund because it was damaged. I explained that it was damaged when I purchased it, as I hadn't even had it for 2 hours when I saw the crack.

So, now I'm stuck with a cracked phone and out of $609. I even called customer service, I asked to speak to a MANAGER, I was transferred to a supervisor, again I asked for a manager. I got Mike, who claimed he was a 2nd level manager, I explained the situation, he was of no assistance. I asked to speak to his manager and he kept saying, "I'm not allowed to transfer you to anyone else, I'm a 2nd level manager." This went on for a while, I eventually hung up. Obviously, I'm not paying another $609 for another phone and they refuse to make it right so I'm stuck with a cracked phone. Their phone plans are cheap but in the end it really isn't worth it.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I recently ported my Samsung Note 8 from Verizon and I am having issues sending picture messaging. All of a sudden I can no longer send picture messages messages via wifi. I have to enable data in order to send pic messages which is pointless. I've never had to do that with any carrier I've had. No one can seem to resolve my dilemma.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I've been customer for years but this month, the day after I paid my bill my service quit working...calls & texts. Called 1800 Cricket and was told upgrading tower... Well that was 9 days ago and even after calling every single day and numerous trips to local Cricket store I STILL have no service and I'm sure the support people are running out of excuses because think I've heard them all but basically they have no clue what they're doing. So guess it's an ok company until you have a problem and then you're just out of luck. Would definitely not recommend this service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Original review: March 10, 2019

I bought a Cricket Wireless SIM card at Best Buy, installed it, went to activate it and at the point of sale for my new number and account, it was flagged as fraudulent by my credit card company. No problem, just push the transaction through again. 2 hours later I have been transferred four times without being told, each person has no idea what is going on, and am told I have to call back in the morning because they can’t activate it. No tech support case was created for my account, and so the next morning it’s the same thing. Finally in the morning I’m told there is a tech support issue that requires elevating my case and that I’ll get a call in 24 hours. I asked to speak with a manager because my now three hours of trying to get a phone number isn’t worth the $10 I spent on the SIM card. They put on hold for 20 more minutes and dropped the call. I will never do business with this company or its partners again.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I've been a Cricket customer for 2 years. I upgraded to a Motorola Cruise 7 months ago, which simply quit charging 8 days ago. I was without a phone for 7 days. Cricket's customer service/warranty programs/insurance program is all about passing the buck. At day 7, I'm at 13 service calls on borrowed phones, 10 hours wasted, 3 trips to a Cricket store an hour away, out 75 dollars as I had to purchase an upgrade phone and pay an activation fee (even though I had warranty and paid for insurance) out of desperation, and it's still not over.

Buyer beware. The Cricket stores and online/phone sales operate separately. No one in the stores knows what's going on, and they do whatever they want and tell you whatever they want and force you to pay whatever they want. Cricket phone customer service will openly tell you that they have nothing to do with the stores, and you're at their mercy if there is a problem with the phones or service you purchased in store. To put it in perspective, I recently purchased a 40,000$ truck in two hours this week,no problems. I also tried to replace a faulty Cricket phone under warranty and with insurance, and 8 days later I'm still in customer service Hell. Good luck.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Background: My phone was lost, I filed a claim, I got a replacement phone, my phone was recovered, I mailed back replacement phone. NO ONE, not even the senior account manager at Cricket or the manager at Asurion (the insurance Co who handled the claim) was able to re-activate my phone as NO ONE knows how to get my phone off of the national blacklist. I spent more than 5hrs today working my way up the chain of command & 3 way calling the 2 companies only to be told I would have to BUY a new phone. I've been without a phone for over a month. I've received no compensation for the series of mistakes made by Asurion that has delayed this process & I'm still out my $40 deductible. I'm now in the process of seeking legal counsel because this is literally the WORST customer experience I've ever had with any company. And I am a supervisor in a call center. I would have been fired if this the of interaction occurred at my company.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I went to branch at Meadowbrook mall in Bridgeport WV to return phones and cancel service. Salesmen told me I needed the box for the one. I drove 45 minutes home and 45 minutes back, with the box. Next they said I needed the little books that were in the boxes. Again I drove home and back to bring books. Then he stated I brought the wrong plug in...ugh!!! They should have told me all this the first time. Mall was getting ready to close while salesman was closing account and stated he couldn't do anything cause his district is closed. Geez, I was there from 2:30 to 9:15! Went back next morning to get refund of $183 and received 49.99. Plus waited 1 hr to get that!!! This company is very misleading and poor employees as salesmen. I absolutely would not recommend them. Wasted $40 in gas alone. Also quotes on phones and plan were not what I was told they would be.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I had been a Cricket Wireless customer for more than 4 years... until now. I came to you with 3 BYOP phones, a Nokia, a Galaxy S8, and most recently a Galaxy S9. The problem starts with plan options with adding Mobile Hotspot to BYOP phones... You don’t offer it. And if you use it, Cricket sends you threatening messages about using it without paying for it. But when you call and try to pay for it, you refuse to take my money, then you cancel my service and refuse to refund the half month I had already paid for.

On top of that you block me from reactivating my phone and insists that I purchase a Cricket Galaxy S9 in order to have the hotspot service. Same phone except one is yours and the other is my Byop phone. I decided to walk. I when to Metro PCS, showed them the nasty text you sent me regarding the issue, and they GAVE ME A FREE GALAXY PHONE AND A ALCATEL MOBILE HOTSPOT DEVICE WITH 45 gigs of hotspot data between the two. All I had to do was pay for service!!! Now that’s good customer service. I walked out very satisfied. Bye, bye, Cricket.

Cricket Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.

• Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.

• Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.

• BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.

• Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.

• Best for: Cricket Wireless is best for budget-conscious consumers, business owners and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs