Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

Cricket Wireless Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I love Cricket because I used to have AT&T. Now that’s a pain in the neck and charge me 125 a month and not much service. And prepare to wait until you going into labor if you are pregnant. AT&T is the worst of the worst and they were about to go bankrupt until iPhone use their only company to Apple phone buyers and boy were they cocky. And I hate AT&T and I would use payphone before I use AT&T. Is really a ridiculous company SO I SWITCH to CRICKET and was I grateful. And still now I pay 95 for 2 lines and unlimited internet use. And sometimes it will slow down a little when overused so no worries as long as I get there.

And AT&T offers 4 GB for 125. If I don’t use it it will not roll over and still pay the same price. I freaking hate AT&T. And I had cricket for 3 years now and never have issue with payment to connection to customer service. Always very short wait and the people at cricket was helpful and patient especially to Edwin who had helped me reset my network when I suddenly lost internet connection on my phone. CRICKET love and all of you should give it a try. But yet I afraid if cricket getting too big it will become another AT&T SO CRICKET don’t change. And I like cricket just the way it is and always.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

My most recent experience was on October 7, 2019. Unfortunately, I had just lost my phone. This was the first time. I went into a local shop located at 30-29 Steinway Street, Astoria (Queens) New York. There I was greeted by **, the store manager. I explained my situation and ** assisted me in ing another phone. The phone I had was a Samsung S9. I was not looking for any particular brand this time, I just wanted one that would prove reliable. ** showed me a LG Stylo 5 which he said was being offered through Cricket for considerably less than what it was being offered for in a larger store, Best Buy.

I was not familiar with the LG smartphones, although I actually have other large LG products at home: refrigerator and television. He showed me the stylus (hence, "Stylo") feature which was attached to the phone. I think that was the feature which made me particularly interested in purchasing the LG. In addition, the price was reasonable and price, of course, was the number one factor. ** was efficient, professional and quite pleasant. He took time to get the new phone set up with a new SIM card. He was able to retrieve and restore my contacts, texts and photos from the lost phone. I was very happy about that because I had been concerned that they may have been lost as well. I was quite satisfied with the customer service I received from ** and left feeling content with a new phone.

As for Cricket itself, I have had no issue with the service. I switched to Cricket when it was just moving into my neighborhood, the store I went into was just being put up. I wanted to switch from other carriers with the main problem being that other carriers I had were not able to provide service where I traveled often, about 4 hours outside of New York City. I decided that if the service from Cricket functioned in that area then I would gladly switch and become a customer.

The pricing was good and I was able to save $5 per month by using the automatic payment. This works well for me because I do not have to be concerned with going into a store or mailing off a bill to make a payment and there is no chance of having my service terminated should I forget to do so. I have told many friends and relatives to consider switching to Cricket when they have told me about problems they experience with their providers. I cannot understand why anyone would choose to sign a 2 year contract and have high monthly payments.

Actually, there is one change that has been made since Cricket has expanded and now has many more customers. This is an important subject. The thing that really stood out and impressed me when I was new to Cricket was that when I called for information, there was an ACTUAL PERSON who answered the call! I used to tell folks about how nice that was and that it made me really want to continue as a Cricket customer. Sadly, that is not the case anymore. Cricket has, unfortunately, gone the way of most others by having an automated answering system with a menu. However, I continue to recommend Cricket as a good choice for a cellular service provider.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

This company has never raised their price on me. I was told my 5 phones would be $125.00 with unlimited data. Although it does not have service in some areas that Sprint which is overpriced and steals your money even having proof that you paid them the bill they still take your money from you and God help if you ever pay Sprint with a credit card. Getting out of Sprint is almost impossible. They keep taking your money even after they send you a Zero Balance forward bill.

Thank God for attorneys. Sprint is making a settlement offer to me at this time not sure how much I'm going to get. But Cricket also has phone service in places that you don't get with Sprint. I believe that Cricket has a bit less service but where you get it you also get internet. With Sprint just cause you may have phone service you don't always get internet and they consistently raise the price of your bill. With Cricket I've never had a bill any different than what I was told I would pay. The price of Cricket is well worth it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I have been a Cricket customer for over 3 years. I have not had any problems. Their service is the most reliable prepaid service I have used, even when I go to rural areas. I didn't like that they cap your data at 8mbs. But since they came out with the Unlimited Extra plan last year that isn't the case anymore. I am constantly getting speeds well over 60mbs. I don't have any experience with any of the phones you can buy from their stores or online. I have always used my own phone that I buy unlocked. Autopay has always been the way to pay for me. I've never had a problem with them not taking a payment. I know when it's coming out and to make sure the money's available. In the 3 years I've been a customer I've only had to call customer service a handful of times and my problems were resolved quickly. I would highly recommend Cricket to anyone looking for prepaid wireless.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I'm using Cricket for a year, with the unlimited calls+2GB data plan for $30 a month ($35 without auto-pay). I'm very very happy with Cricket. No signal issues (of course it depends on where you live, like with every company in the world), great customer service! I leave Cricket to a cheaper company (Good2Go mobile), only because they are cheaper! If Good2Go won't provide a good service, I'll probably go back to Cricket. I'm a very demanding and technological customer (not the average customer), and if Cricket was good enough for me, they will probably be good enough for 99% of the people! I told Cricket that I got an offer for 3GB for $20 a month, and they said they can't go that low for 3GB. Kudos Cricket! We're breaking up only because I found something cheaper.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

DO NOT USE CRICKET WIRELESS!!! I am so upset that I TRIED switching to CW, it has been nothing but trouble. I was never able to even activate and use the four phones I purchased from them. There is apparently an internal error which is prohibiting it. I am now fighting to receive the $750 dollars for the phones, and the plan price refunded. What an awful experience!!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My husband is 79 and not a techie at all and all he wanted was a basic flip-phone with voicemail. We have had an account with Cricket for almost 2 years and their hasn't been any problem with the reception of the phone. Today, I wanted to update billing info so I tried to log into his account and it said it didn't exist. I tried using the phone number... Again, it said it didn't exist. I got on chat and the Rep. told me his account has been erased due to lack of activity on their site. What??? Why would I need to go to their site if there's no problems? They haven't had a problem taking our money every month...and how is that even possible if the account has been erased??? She said he would have to set up a new account. This doesn't make sense to me. He likes his phone but I'm thinking we need to ditch Cricket and I need to put him back on TracFone (which we've had since 2001 and no problems whatsoever).

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Customer service is terrible! I had a phone that failed after a couple of years and purchased a new one, They automatically put insurance on new phones which is free for the first month and then the bill hits. When calling to cancel, the customer service reps talk right past you, presumably in an effort to confuse your message. Not a good experience. I finally had to tell the rep to shut up and listen.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I have been with Cricket since April 2017. Generally satisfactory. At different points I added both of my sons and there was no problem. This week 1/11/2020, I replaced my phone because the microphone had failed. I kept my number and thought everything was fine until I heard from a coworker that the company was upset as I was not answering my phone. I tried to call and received a message that I was cut off for non payment...I had been on autopay since April 2017. My option now is to check out consumer cellular to switch all three numbers. If it was possible to give a minus 10..I would do it. Given the spotty coverage and now the miserable billing andd customer service I hope they collapse.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Bad experience. My husband put me 2nd line. 4 days later I get a text, "You owe $36". How? When I got my 2nd line I paid a prorated amount and told me it was due the next month. Now phone turn off and it's store fault and nobody want waiver it. Cricket ain't no good in customer service.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Cricket Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.

• Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.

• Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.

• BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.

• Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.

• Best for: Cricket Wireless is best for budget-conscious consumers, business owners and parents.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team