Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Cricket Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

The best part about a Cricket is the price - 3 lines for $90 unlimited everything. You can get 4 lines for $100. It’s a lot better than Sprint. I paid $189 a month for 2 lines and didn’t get any better service. I will say although I paid Sprint for 2 months after I switched to Cricket but could never get my iPhone 7 to work with Cricket. So I had to buy a new phone. I found the prices of the phones less at Cricket than at Sprint too. So as far as I’m concerned, I’m much happier at Cricket than with Sprint. You can pay online, by phone or at one of their locations. Everything is easy. I like that they don’t try to make you sign a contract to lease a phone like they did at Sprint. No more phone contracts for me- I’m very happy with Cricket.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Cricket is that company you want to turn to when you are low on cash. They have a variety of plans that are decent to chose from. They have also increased their service area of locations. They have many more telephone options to chose from now and great customer service at a low cost. I turned to them when I hit rock bottom. They were very understanding and they worked with me through my hard financial times. The phones they offer are good quality phones that are comparable to Apple, Verizon or AT&T. The service is just as good for probably half the price. I am from El Paso, TX living in San Antonio, TX. I travel back and forth by car. I always get good reception with service by Cricket in the middle of nowhere and that is what I mean by saying that they are increasing the service of area of locations. They are buying more antennas. Cricket is the way to go economically.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We have been using Cricket for over 3 yrs now without any problems or issues. If you want a no-frills carriers Cricket is the answer. Voice and data plan with automatic credit card debit is the lowest available. Just recently they are some additional plans are available such as wireless calling, unlimited data and mobile hot spot. Like other carriers new subscribers get a better deal than upgrading a existing plan just like the other carriers. If you want to purchase a phone with a plan the selection is limited so it is best to purchase a unlocked GSM phone from eBay or Amazon or the many other on-line sellers.

There are stores are geographically located near population centers so you do not have to search far to find a location. We have yet had a need to visit a store to resolve any issues. The one we organically visited to activate the BYOD. All that was necessary was change out the SIM card with a Cricket Wireless and activate our account. There are no long waits like the major carriers to pay bills, resolve phone issues and purchase accessories.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I love Cricket because I used to have AT&T. Now that’s a pain in the neck and charge me 125 a month and not much service. And prepare to wait until you going into labor if you are pregnant. AT&T is the worst of the worst and they were about to go bankrupt until iPhone use their only company to Apple phone buyers and boy were they cocky. And I hate AT&T and I would use payphone before I use AT&T. Is really a ridiculous company SO I SWITCH to CRICKET and was I grateful. And still now I pay 95 for 2 lines and unlimited internet use. And sometimes it will slow down a little when overused so no worries as long as I get there.

And AT&T offers 4 GB for 125. If I don’t use it it will not roll over and still pay the same price. I freaking hate AT&T. And I had cricket for 3 years now and never have issue with payment to connection to customer service. Always very short wait and the people at cricket was helpful and patient especially to Edwin who had helped me reset my network when I suddenly lost internet connection on my phone. CRICKET love and all of you should give it a try. But yet I afraid if cricket getting too big it will become another AT&T SO CRICKET don’t change. And I like cricket just the way it is and always.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

My most recent experience was on October 7, 2019. Unfortunately, I had just lost my phone. This was the first time. I went into a local shop located at 30-29 Steinway Street, Astoria (Queens) New York. There I was greeted by **, the store manager. I explained my situation and ** assisted me in ing another phone. The phone I had was a Samsung S9. I was not looking for any particular brand this time, I just wanted one that would prove reliable. ** showed me a LG Stylo 5 which he said was being offered through Cricket for considerably less than what it was being offered for in a larger store, Best Buy.

I was not familiar with the LG smartphones, although I actually have other large LG products at home: refrigerator and television. He showed me the stylus (hence, "Stylo") feature which was attached to the phone. I think that was the feature which made me particularly interested in purchasing the LG. In addition, the price was reasonable and price, of course, was the number one factor. ** was efficient, professional and quite pleasant. He took time to get the new phone set up with a new SIM card. He was able to retrieve and restore my contacts, texts and photos from the lost phone. I was very happy about that because I had been concerned that they may have been lost as well. I was quite satisfied with the customer service I received from ** and left feeling content with a new phone.

As for Cricket itself, I have had no issue with the service. I switched to Cricket when it was just moving into my neighborhood, the store I went into was just being put up. I wanted to switch from other carriers with the main problem being that other carriers I had were not able to provide service where I traveled often, about 4 hours outside of New York City. I decided that if the service from Cricket functioned in that area then I would gladly switch and become a customer.

The pricing was good and I was able to save $5 per month by using the automatic payment. This works well for me because I do not have to be concerned with going into a store or mailing off a bill to make a payment and there is no chance of having my service terminated should I forget to do so. I have told many friends and relatives to consider switching to Cricket when they have told me about problems they experience with their providers. I cannot understand why anyone would choose to sign a 2 year contract and have high monthly payments.

Actually, there is one change that has been made since Cricket has expanded and now has many more customers. This is an important subject. The thing that really stood out and impressed me when I was new to Cricket was that when I called for information, there was an ACTUAL PERSON who answered the call! I used to tell folks about how nice that was and that it made me really want to continue as a Cricket customer. Sadly, that is not the case anymore. Cricket has, unfortunately, gone the way of most others by having an automated answering system with a menu. However, I continue to recommend Cricket as a good choice for a cellular service provider.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I bought the Nokia EndiC5 8/8/20 and 8/15/20 all my problems started. The phone: locks up, shuts down, turns on and off by itself, in the middle of texting or search it locks up and or shuts off, not touching the phone and it shuts off and restarts, taking pictures and locks up. Cricket 7 day return was up. Their CS had 2 options: 1 I could take it to the UPS store and they have to inspect it for physical damages pack it up and send it in, 2-3 days later I have another (parent needs contact) 2nd I could pay the full cost of the new phone I hold my defect until I get another, if their tech decided that nothing was wrong, I'd send the new back and lose the full cost, non-refundable. So either way I'm screwed.

Now don't get me wrong, I've been with Cricket for over 20 years and love their service and plans. I've tried others and came back to Cricket. I still have the defective one until I can physically exchange it. Heck, the reviews on the EndiC5 are basically the same as my complaint. Lessons learned, read the reviews before you purchase, it'll save you $ and head-aches.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I tried to bring my boyfriend and his son to Cricket and they have a promo of an iPhone 7 for $49, if you switch from another service. Well, this IS a switch, however the guy (manager) said that since the phone WAS originally a $400 phone, we have to pay taxes on it, as though it’s currently $400, when we’re only paying $49!! I don’t believe this is legal and I think this guy is trying to pocket money!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I have been with Cricket for 5 years. No major problems except when I canceled my service due to moving abroad, they refused to issue a refund for the remaining unused portion of the time I prepaid. My automatic payment was processed for the full amount on the 3rd and I canceled my service on the 5th. I just want people to be aware of this, because this is quite unusual policy, and, in my opinion, a crooked one.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I was having problems with a phone I purchased 9 months ago. Scott the manager looked over my phone and fixed several problems which I have been experiencing. He was very accommodating and took the time to explain to me what he had done. Thanks so much Scott.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

On August 27th, 2020, I received a notification on my phone (SM-J260AZ) that my SIM card was not provisioned. I was no longer able to make or receive phone calls or text messages. I attempted to log into my Cricket account to see what had happened. After entering in my login information, I received an error message that my account had been cancelled. I had paid for my service ahead of time so I called Cricket Wireless to see what was going on. The rep told me that my phone number (**) had been ported to T-Mobile. I let the rep know that I had not requested to have my phone number ported and it was ported without my permission.

While I was on hold with the rep for her to look into this, I received notifications on my phone that the password to my personal email had been changed, my recovery options (an alternate email address in case I had forgotten my password) had also been changed. Within 5 minutes, my Cash App account was also hacked. The person had sent requests of $300 from my contacts and started sending text messages to people in my contact list asking for a loan of $300. The people thought that they were talking to me, but it was in fact the person that hacked my account.

Someone sent me $300 and before I even had the chance to go in and refund the money back, the person who was controlling my Cash App account immediately sent the money to themselves. I had $2.89 on my Cash App on my account at that time and the person sent themselves $2 (Cash App Name: **). (I have also opened a case with Cash app (**) to see if I will be able to get the money back.) I was still on hold with Cricket during all of this. The rep gave me a case number (**). I have been fighting with Cash App, AOL, GMAIL, and even TD Bank to gain access to my accounts again because 2 step verification was active on the majority of my accounts (having a code sent to my phone number to ensure that my login is secure).

Cricket did not verify any of my personal information or contact me regarding my phone number being ported. No email, phone call, text message. Absolutely nothing. Because of their careless and minimal security measures set in place, all of my personal information has been exposed. I have had to spend countless hours and even take a day off of work to call various companies to notify them of this and to put a fraud alert on my accounts since my SSN was also exposed because of this. Since this, I have not received any update from Cricket Wireless to check on the status of their investigation. They have not offered me a temporary phone number or any type of accommodations during this time.

I have been a customer with Cricket for more than a year and have always made my payments on time and even ahead of time. I asked them for a refund on the payments that I had made in advance and they told me that they do not provide refunds, even though my service with them is not active and I am technically not receiving any service from them right now, they refuse to issue a refund for the payments that I have already made. I am seeking legal counsel to see if a case can be brought against them because this can potentially have a lifelong impact on not only my personal information, but also my parents because my email accounts and phone number was also attached to their personal information as well. I have filed a police report as well with the Phoenix Police Department (Case Number: **). I have also filed a complaint with FTC.

Cricket Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.

• Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.

• Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.

• BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.

• Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team