3.2/5 (439 ratings)

About Cricket Wireless

Cricket Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Original review: July 17, 2021

He got my phone to working. He told me about open sites and wifi. He told me about 2g. I felt comfortable asking this young man everything I wanted to know about my plan and service. I am a older woman in my sixty + and he took time to explain everything to me and show me how to find stuff on my phone. Good job Julio. I am going to refer people to your store. I am in a grandparent group of 100+ members.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I expected to be met with a smile that didn’t quite reach the eyes and gift of gab that flowed like honey. A memorized verse filled with empty promises and strategic omissions. And I was also armed and ready to deflect and dodge. So I can’t begin to describe the dumbfounded look I must have had on my face nor the gibberish I responded with. When I wasn’t met with the typical sales routine! WHAT A CONCEPT!!!! These guys pretty much explained how the entire network of connecting & communication worked. What I would need, and what their service could and could not help me with. AND WHICH PROVIDER COULD further help me. I will be launching my business in the next couple weeks and because these guys character and wisdom my connectivity is set! Thank you! The experience was a pleasure!

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I cannot believe how incredible Cricket Wireless is. I have been a customer for 2 years now and have saved hundreds of dollars (at least) using a service that is 100% reliable and I've NEVER had a connection problem. And, Cricket has excellent customer support if there's ever any question about billing or plans. I almost never give excellent ratings on Consumer Affairs...I usually have complaints to express, but Cricket is the only service/company I feel deserves this rating from me.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I have had been a customer of Cricket for about 5ish years now, I pay 80 for two lines. (Unlimited) Never had any issues with them. Upgraded a few times with them as well. And I plan on continuing service with them as long as nothing changes. Overall pleased with their service. Better than paying a 180 bill that fluctuates at T-mobile. I have a same set payment every time and I have never gotten any random charges.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I've been a customer for 1 year now and I'm in love with my service. I live in the Desert and get perfect service. Cricket does have downsides, like no tablets or watches or fun things like that, but their phones work fairly well. I've had the iPhone 7, Stylo 5 & now the Stylo 6. My upgrade is coming up and I'm getting the iPhone XR! :) I recommend this company for someone who is on a budget. If you use hotspot data as much as I do, you'll love Cricket because you can add as much hotspot data as you want! I have 75gb of hotspot data each month! It's a great company!

Original review: July 25, 2021

I’ve been a customer of Cricket for approximately one year. Have my account set up for auto pay as well. Reps at cricket have done nothing but lie to me the entire time I’ve had my account, by telling me the problem with my service was being addressed. Now I find out the problem with my service is due to the towers being more than five miles away! I've paid these people all this money for over a year and never got to enjoy any of the service I’ve been paying for. Why????Word of warning to anyone considering using cricket for their mobile device network! They Will lie and misguide you. Have you checking your device and be told that your device is the problem when all along it’s CRICKET'S fault not anything to do with your device! Very dishonest group of people and when you call for assistance it's somehow the customer's fault and not theirs! Bad company. Cricket will get no more of my money!!!!

Original review: July 20, 2021

I've been a loyal and happy customer of Cricket for a while now. That is, until last week when we went to Iceland for a week and discovered that Cricket phones don't work there. Not only that, but I couldn't even access my Cricket account online--it just kept saying I was locked out. We managed to call customer support using another phone. The guy on support repeatedly put me on hold and kept coming back and saying that we can call 37 other countries but cricket phones only work in the US, Mexico and Canada. I told him that I thought Cricket was part of AT&T and that surely it should work but he just kept putting me on hold and coming back and saying that same thing.

When I asked why I was locked out of account he said he could put in request to unlock it but it would take 3-4 business days. Because of all this, I daren't use my credit cards while abroad because they often send a text asking me to verify transactions. The only way I could use my phone for internet was by hooking onto hotel (or coffee shop) wifi. And when I tried to use WiFi calling feature it just kept saying "access denied". So all my phone was good for the entire week was to take pictures. Otherwise, it was a brick. So if you travel or ever plan to travel, you might want to pass Cricket up! Needless to say, I just switched to Sprint/T-Mobile and ported my number over.

Original review: July 14, 2021

So first and foremost, I would like to advise that I have been a Cricket customer since 2017 after having been with Verizon for many years and have been very happy with their service up until this last year. I have very seldom had to use the customer service. However, it was great when I did. I have noticed this year that our service as far as signal is not as good as it had been in the past. Again, I have been with them 4 years with 8 lines and on auto pay throughout those 4 years. Also, buying all my devices cash, May 2021 being the last time that I purchased 2 iPhone SEs for my parents for Mother and Father’s day. I paid $609.74 with BOA debit card and did not request new SIM cards as again we already had ours.

So, here I am now shopping around for cell phone service providers as our phones with Cricket no longer work in parts of other countries that they used to work in. I got a good deal from T-Mobile and called cricket to make sure that all phones are unlocked so that I am prepared when the SIM cards come in this evening. Well, it turns out that I cannot unlock mom and dad’s phone due to the device itself not being active 6 months. Why does that matter if the line has been active for over 4 years and I paid cash for the phones? I spent all morning, 7/13/21 on chats and my lunch break on the phone speaking to reps and supervisors asking for an exception even after asking myself how this can even be ethical. You buy a phone cash, it’s yours.

I finally got to speak to a supposed supervisor by the name of Gabriela ** whom preferred to give me her name rather than her work ID which is the total opposite of what is normally provided, being totally fine with as it makes this complaint even more detailed. She advised me what every other associate is programmed to advise. That the device itself has to be in use for 6 months. Again, why if I paid cash??? She asked if those terms had not been shared with me by the associate that sold me the phones at the Cedar Hill, TX store on Pleasant Run. I advised that I was not advised of their 6 month stipulation. You pay for something, it should be yours. I would always go to them for business and even referred them a lot of business. I had a total of 8 lines for heaven sakes.

Anyhow, Gabriela then advised that she would have to fill out a form and contact the store to see what she could do but wouldn’t make any promises as to when she would be getting back to me as it would have to be when she had time to get to it. She stated that it would be when she was able. I expressed that I have the T-Mobile SIM cards already and would like a resolution today. She then only gave me a time frame because I advised that I would be reporting her and Cricket to the BBB. She advised that she would give me a call by 1:30 PM central time and changed her demeanor right away.

Mind you, I was approved by T-Mobile for up to 15 lines. I am assuming that I can probably get a deal on a phone. However, it is the principal. What am I supposed to do with 2 iPhones that I purchased cash less than 2 months ago and that Cricket does not want to unlock even after unlocking my other 6 lines, just because the phone itself hasn’t been active for 6 months, yet the lines have been active 4 years plus? How does that benefit them in any way if regardless, they will be losing 8 lines either way it goes at this point and I would have lost $609 and will possibly have to spend more on 2 other new phones? Beware to all consumers, as they do not tell you, they are a prepaid company, yet you have to theoretically stay with them 6 months, if you plan on keeping your phone. Just ridiculous.

I cannot believe that I was loyal for over 4 years referring friend after friend. NEVER AGAIN AND I WILL BE SURE TO LET EVERYONE KNOW OF HOW THEIR 6 MONTH NEW PHONE PURCHASE STIPULATION WORKS. (Phone may be restricted to Cricket network until completion of 6 months of service after activation.) This is what their stipulations states which I just now looked up. Do not use the word May as that is not a firm must. Also, it states service activation and not the device itself.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I used to absolutely love my service with Cricket Wireless but now after dealing with my boyfriend getting his phone stolen I had insurance paid that the phone has been suspended for 3 days. They told me I had up to 30 days before I got charged, now in order to reactivate his phone, I'm getting charged another $46 even though I just paid my bill last week. They will not reimburse me for the money I spent on the bill for the month of July that I paid a week ago. But expect me to pay another $46 on top of it for the remainder of the month.

This is some ** and as soon as my service is up at the end of the month I definitely will be switching to another company. Obviously, they do not care enough about their customers anymore. Definitely not customer appreciation from these guys. The customer service guy and the supervisor was extremely rude, would not listen and kept saying, "Oh well you still have to pay the $46." To me that's a crook, stealing money. After this month I will no longer give them anymore of my money. Be careful out there.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Every aspect of Cricket Wireless service has been worse than disappointing. I bought a phone for $50, with some kind of fee waived, but I spent $180. The phone hasn't functioned well since the day I got it. The call volume can't be turned up high enough, even with the speaker on, the screen just randomly does its own thing, I miss MANY IMPORTANT calls with not even a record of the call ever coming in, the callers don't even get voicemail, even though it is set up and active, so I tried to use my warranty. What a fiasco! I think it's a straight racket, actually.

It's been 6 days since I sent it back, I haven't heard anything, and the tracking site tells me no more than I already knew, which was basically, what date I sent it back. The clerk at UPS gave me some kind of label that I suspect was not supposed to be given until much later, because although she didn't look at the phone at all, it reads that the liquid damage sensor has been tripped, so I can't use the warranty service. I know for a 100% fact that my phone has never been wet- unless I unknowingly spent almost $200 on a refurbished (poorly) phone. Phone support is nearly impossible to reach because they're dealing with "extremely high call volumes", I wonder why!! (NOT) The online chat is a ridiculous, highly annoying waste of time, and billing- ya never really get to know until.... Ya know?

Cricket Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.

• Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.

• Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.

• BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.

• Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team