Cricket Wireless

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Phone model ZTE X 4. This Cricket has the worse customer service EVER. They sell you a $150 phone that never has mobile network. Won't make calls. Won't text. I have been with Cricket for years. Same phone number. 4 lines... They act like you have to mail it in to get a new one. The manager did not offer me a refund. Which is an option if you are within 7 days. I had to find that out by calling Cricket not from them. I was also within my 7 days. He said I had to file a claim and mail in my phone. Wait up to 10 days to get a new phone. WTF. The dumbass girls they have working there are even worse.

I spent over $175 for a phone. A case... Screen cover and Activation. Got the phone on Friday. It worked all night then all the sudden the phone says no mobile network. Of course I do the basics. Turn the phone on and off. Try to call it from another line on the same service. It won't go through. Won't receive text etc... So I call. Of course that was a nightmare. Spent an hour just to hear they are working on the system and will call me back. WTF. Then they call and tell me to wait until 1 pm the next day or try to return the phone if it doesn't start working. Then about an hour later it works. Worked all night and half a day. Then it starts again.

After more calls to the CRAP tech support we decide to go into the store which didn't open until 4 pm. There it decided to Work again. But we still wanted to replace it etc. She had the nerve to tell us there will be a restocking fee of $25 if I return the phone and get a different phone. Even though the phone should not be RESTOCKED. It is broke. I spent 4 days trying to let Cricket fix the problem through the tech department. Which when you call there is NO option for tech support. So you have to go through the spiel about 3 times before you ever get to tech. Then the tech is a joke. Elementary. Who owns this company? Horrible in store. Horrible on phone. Horrible tech support.

I ordered three phones, but only received two. I checked the tracking number and it said "delivered". I called customer service and got a representative that did not understand or speak English very well. I spent 20 minutes explaining the situation to her. She said she would have to transfer me to the warranty department. I waited another 15 minutes on hold. I finally got someone and had to explain everything over again... Giving account details and phone numbers and pins again.

The warranty representative decided the phone was stolen and that I would need to be transferred back to customer service for a refund. I said I didn't want a refund, I wanted the phone, because I already paid the service fee and didn't want to pay it again. She said that I would need to discuss that with customer service. So again... I waited 20 minutes and had to give All of the details again. I asked to speak to a supervisor. I waited 36 minutes and finally got a supervisor who said I would need to call UPS. UGH! WHY? I bought a phone. I paid the money. It said two days shipping. It's been five days. Shouldn't THEY call Ups and just send me a new phone!? Any other company I have dealt with always takes care of issues. Cricket customer service sucks!!!

I ordered service and a phone. Neither one worked. I had the phone for one day, returned it. Called to cancel service which I never had since I couldn't get more than one or two bars and they refused to credit my account for the $40 even though I never had service. They told me since I had activated the phone I had to pay for the service. How are you supposed to know if you don't have reception if you don't activate the phone. Customer service is TERRIBLE. DO NOT GO WITH CRICKET! Very deceptive company. I would give it zero stars if I could.

Received the phone, it didn't work properly and had a lot of static. Signed up for auto-pay for a $5 reduced monthly fee, was then OVERCHARGED for several months. The auto-pay is a scam. It took me several DAYS to first try to get another phone, that never happened. It took several DAYS to get my money back from the overcharges through auto-pay. Now, the site kept rejecting my password. So I had temp passwords texted to me. The site rejected all of them. I spent hours in online chat with CSRs that have no idea how to help anyone. Not one CSR had an answer to anything. Each time I tried to cancel my service and have them delete my online account, they tried to stop me.

I have now found out that the reason they don't want you to log in to pay your bill on time is because they charge you a fee to restore service. After over an hour again today, I think I finally have this crappy service canceled. However, they gave me no confirmation number or confirmation email and since my password does not work and can't delete my credit card off the account!

My phone only 3 weeks old. I call Cricket service. They won't give me another phone. This phone I didn't have it long. Camera broke and won't download. What I mean is my family send me a picture I what save it won't download. JUNK!! Another thing I did autopay get 5.00 off. That's a lie. My bill still 30.00 so Cricket can still service up their ass. I think I will try Boost mobile service. Think twice before you go with Cricket Wireless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

I had Cricket service and about 4 days before my new month of service started I paid my bill. I decided to go with a better cell phone provider and called Cricket to cancel. They refused to give me my money back. I stopped their transaction with my bank. They still took my money from my bank account 2 days after I transferred my service to the other provider. They refused to give me my money back and I have had to go to the BBB and start a lawsuit to get my money back. They are horrible lying people who don't care who they take money from and don't care that they take money and never give services.

I will never go back to them and will tell everyone I know how much of a piece of ** company they are. What have we come to in society these days. Crooked companies like this should be run out of business. This is morally not OK and they don't seem to have a conscience about anything wrong they do. Horrible, horrible, horrible company and their supervisors won't do anything about it either and also don't care. As well as charging you for things you don't use and didn't order somehow coming up with excuses for why they are correct. Pathetic.

I went in to change my android to an iPhone. I asked the associate if my data could be transferred. He told me "Yes it would be real simple." I purchased the new sim card. He worked on the phone. When he handed me my new phone, I once again asked him if he transferred my data. The sales associate said, "No, it's too late." I questioned him more as to what that meant. His response was "Wasn't all your data synced in the cloud?" No it was not. I am not a tech savvy person. I take my old phone and my new phone and leave the store very upset that all the business contacts stored in my phone were lost. When I opened up my old phone my sim card is missing, the sales associate threw it away.

I have been charged for 2 cell plans for 3 months. Now I'm sitting here an hour, and they don't know how to fix it. And this is one of the many screw ups in the past 6 months. This company is not worth all the trouble.

I have had Cricket Wireless since Feb 2015. I always passed my ending account period by 2 days and would apply $40 to activate it, but in the last past 4 months I was charged an extra $5.00 every month to activate my account which at end cost would be $45.00 to turn my phone on. When I requested an explanation for this I was hung up on 3 times. The last time I missed my payment date my phone was off for a week. I then applied money to my account and my service usually would turn on quick but this time it did not. I received emails, my hot spot worked, and I was able to go on the internet but I was unable to make or send phone calls and text messages.

I was told my phone does not work and given promotions for a new phone. I then requested a refund and to have my account closed and support stated that will not happen after I spent 4 days trying to have them fix it... I have saved the chat conversation on my email for future observance to whom will ever like to view Cricket stealing my money.

I had been with Cricket for years. I left 3 months ago to try another carrier, but I decided to switch back. I got my sister (also on Cricket) to refer me and we'd both get $25 in 60 days. I even got a confirmation email about the referral. I signed up for Cricket a few days later (new account, same phone #). I told the employee I was being referred, and that I was a previous Cricket customer - would the referral still apply? "Yes" she said.

The next day (after they got my money) the link on the referral email will not accept my new account # or phone number. Customer NO-service states that I needed a new phone number to get the referral. If the employee had told me that as I was signing up, I would have gotten a new number. But they claim it was in the "Terms and Agreements," so don't bother asking about something, they'll just say "Yes" until they get your money, then say "No." And they won't credit my account back for the fees I paid just yesterday (even though I don't expect money back for having to purchase a new SIM card). I'll just stay with them through this payment and then switch -- all over their flat out refusal to honor their $25 refer-a-friend deal in 60+ days.

I been a Cricket Wireless customer for over 2 years and have had 2 lines the whole time and 3-4 lines at times. I just found out today 11/8/16 about hotspot feature. Of course last week I was talked into the $70 plan for both my lines and now that plan can't add hotspot. I've been trying to add it for 2 years. It's like they changed my plan so I couldn't get it plus my phone that has hotspot settings (at&t galaxy s5 active) isn't compatible with Cricket's hotspot add on feature!!! #PISSED OFF #SWAPPING CARRIERS!!!

I pay over a $120 mo for service for two phones. I also pay insurance on top of the reg mo payment. After paying insurance on our phones for two years, my son drops his phone. Initial claim process no problem, did all on phone. Cost me $130 to purchase (called a deductible) the replacement phone. Claim #**. Next day (Wednesday) received a 'refurbished' phone. The screen did not work! They sent me a broken phone for $130! I tried to call Asurion (Saturday, because I had to work and cannot call during Thursday or Friday), but the phone tree sent me to customer support. Customer support phone tree sent me back to Asurion.

After 15 minutes of trying to get someone, I used my other number to get through. Customer Service agent on phone kept me on hold for 15 min 41 sec then came back online saying she was trying to get in touch with Asurion (Insurance People not warranty). At 30 min 27 sec (waiting on the customer service phone line) she came back on line and said she needed my pin number to talk to the warranty people. This is a blatant lie! She could not have spoken to Asurion without my pin number. She was just THEN getting to the Insurance people! At 46 min 28 sec (waiting on the customer service phone line) a claim agent came on and asked me for my pin number! After telling me they would email me a return UPS shipment ticket (Confirmation #**) I asked about the credit to my account since Cricket would take over a week to resolve my issue with the broken phone and she transferred me back to customer service.

At 54 min 14 sec (waiting on the customer service phone line) Customer Service (or whatever number she sent me to) hung up on me. I text with a chat representative that told me they could only do a credit with a claim #. Gave him the most recent one. He came back and said to contact Cricket after I have gotten the refurbished/broken phone shipped back to them. These people charged me $130 for a broken phone. They are charging me for service on a broken phone they sent me. They kept me on the phone/chat for over one hour. I cannot do this again during the week.

I bought a phone from them online from their website 2 months ago and the Indian non-English speaking guy said they couldn't activate it and I would have to call back the next day and he said it happens all the time. Then I switched the phone SIM card to T-Mobile and have been using it. But Cricket ported my number without my permission and never asked me to ATT they said - I have never even done business with ATT. So the phone would not work at all, even on T-Mobile's system.

The phone is not working, turned off and in a drawer and today I noticed they billed my card again, without my permission another 35 bucks. They have charged me 2 months now for a phone I never got to use on their system at all. Worse company I have ever tried to deal with - they stole 70+ dollars from me and now I have to cancel my credit card because they are using it without permission. I will get even for sure because it will now cost them a lot more than 70 bucks!

Paid my bill with the Cricket app yesterday. The window kept spinning, then said there was a problem processing my payment. But I received a text saying they received payment, then another, then another & another. I swiped the app off. Today I get ready to pay bills and find out they took my payment 4 times. I spoke to my bank and they informed me that they could reverse the payment today if Cricket faxed a confirmation to them.

I got on Cricket chat online to speak with them. They can't send a fax! They can only submit a ticket that will take 24-72 hrs. to process. I asked them if I could be compensated at least a month service since I am incurring late fees on other bills because they have my money tied up. I went back and forth with them for 3 hrs. They were trying to mislead me into thinking I could get this credit. But when I pressed for straight answers I got a no! Then I pressed a button on the chat window to have the conversation emailed to me... Never got it.

I got on chat again, once again after requesting an email that I never got! I have chatted with 5 reps today and was either disconnected or had the conversations disappear. I called them and asked about all of the above... Still no fair resolution. Any stand up company would compensate for their mistake. There is so much more that I am leaving out but bottom line... you are not better off with Cricket. Their plans are cheaper but they still get you in the end. I have been with Cricket for years and I have had to buy a phone every year. Insurance does no good... deductible is as much as a new phone. You can go somewhere else and lease a phone, upgrade in 2 yrs. I will soon be ditching them. As long time customer I can tell you they are LIARS & SCAMMERS!

I was making my payment on my Cricket Wireless phone through the link on my phone. I got the payment made, but when I went to finish the transaction, I got an error saying I needed to retry or abort. I clicked on retry and I had 2 different payments deducted. I called to get a refund of the second payment but was told it would take 72 business days to refund me the second amount even though the so-called customer service rep could see the double payment. I live from check to check and can't afford them to take so long to refund my money. If I want it now, I have to go through my bank. Cricket has been less than anything good for me to use. Time to go to another company. Don't ever do business with Cricket Wireless. They are a ripoff collecting interest on my extra payment for 72 business days.

They took two payments in one month. Total of 260$. I am on disability so very fixed income. I called and they said they are cancelling one payment but never did. So now I disputed it with my bank and have to wait up to 45 days for the dispute to finish. All this after last month with 4 lines not working only getting $20 credit back. This is a cheat. They take advantage of people. You would think being owned by AT&T they would be better. They told me something completely different today as well, and refused to escalate the call. And when I told them they were on a recorded line as well got very quiet. Do not go with Cricket which is now nation wide.

Summary: You are sure to get angry, frustrated, and probably scammed. I purchased a simple phone for temporary use for visiting friend. I signed up for auto-pay because it saves you $5. When my visiting friend left the their phone is never used and I did not remember to cancel the service. After they took two rounds of bills from my card, I called in, canceled the service, and asked to refund the last two payments. Unfortunately, they pulled out a "Terms & Conditions" argument and stated, "Cricket has NO refund policy." I argued, "Had I paid with cash, you would not be able to do so and this is close to illegal scamming". After telling me same thing repeatedly, I lost the argument and $70. Additionally their shop in Lansing Mall is a joke with new faces every week and they have no idea of what to do except selling you a thing for a list price. Protect your money, time, and gut from this vultures!

Do you love losing business by not being able to send or receive texts and phone calls? Then you are in luck - this service provider is for you! 3G LTE my butt. I had week long outages. Couldn't hear people on the phone. Calls dropped constantly or never went through. Couldn't send texts, photos, or anything, and never did receive them, either. Lost work because of it. This provider is full of it, horrible service. The worst. Just don't. The price is too good to be true. The coverage is a lie. A liiie!

Easy switch and I got 5 free phones on a deal. They always have some phone that is reasonably priced or free - if you want a fancier one they are still so much cheaper than Verizon, even the "so called free or phone credit" deals - never free. Customer service is OK - could improve some but able to speak to someone. Company store not great here but there are great Cricket dealers. When I left Verizon - paying $260 for 4 BASIC PHONES_NO INTERNET, NO SMARTPHONES AT ALL. Limited calling time, unlimited text - now with Cricket unlimited everything and all smartphones - 5 of them - for $100/mo (I add insurance so $135/Mo). There are never any of those "hidden fees", or bogus charges - your bill amount is always the same. Even with the very slight dip in service and minor, infrequent issues, just having a consistent, honest bill makes them well worth it in my eyes.

I switched to Cricket in 1999, after trying a few of the other services. They all required 2-year contracts at that time. I heard about Cricket, which was pretty new then, tried it out and was satisfied. Coverage was limited (back then), but was fine for my area. Over the years the service and coverage have improved, BUT the customer service has stayed the same - superior. I have never received less than great, expert, more-than-necessary service. Of course, I have always gone to the same store, and I have always been prepared and very friendly. And I have always been treated the same way in return. In light of all the complaints, maybe it does pay to be polite. Ya think?

Bad services Cricket. I pay $400 for my cellphone and $107 for fees and my plan and I don't have services and my houses ** Cricket you stolen my money. If you Cricket can't give good services to customers go out of business **.

Every time I've referred a friend or family to Cricket they find a way to weasel out of paying. They claim the account was not in good standings. I referred my mother and when she signed up she went with auto pay. She never missed a bill due to them always taking it out. Of course when she inquired about the referral fee that had not been applied they tried to say she was late on a payment so her account went into bad standings. She got her Cricket account in December and signed up auto pay that day. However they claimed she didn't sign up for auto pay until Feb and in the time from Dec to Feb she went into bad standings...

Another case was with my account. I've had Cricket for over a year at the time when I decided to add the feature Hotspot. (note: I've also had auto pay since I signed up with Cricket and never missed a payment either due to autopay). Anyway I didn't like the feature and called Cricket the next day to have it removed. They removed the feature and the idiot on the phone made a mistake somehow and when I went to use my phone the next morning there was no service. Of course I wasn't happy about it and complained that I didn't ask them to remove my service and asked them if their mistake was going to affect the status of my account. Due to the fact I was in the process of receiving a referral fee they calmly told me how it was their mistake and they would make a note on the account explaining the situation so it wouldn't affect it. Needless to say I never got it...

I was an AT&T customer and decided to move my service to Cricket where my wife already was. The day my contract went out with AT&T, I called to make sure it was ok to move my number to Cricket as there was a $95 early out fee I wanted to avoid. The AT&T rep told me I could switch over and she understood I was rolling the number over because I told her. She put my number out of service that I was going to roll. I went online to activate my phone with Cricket and got error messages telling me to try again later. I called Cricket and they told me they could activate my phone so I went through the process, and they told me I would have to wait 24 hours. I waited and tried again staying on the phone altogether that day about 4 hours.

I called AT&T to try and get my number back in service long enough to get my new phone a Samsung Amp 2 I bought from Cricket activated. The lady told me the phone could be activated. The number was in holding status and would be removed after my Galaxy was activated. Cricket put in another ticket and told me 24 to 72 hours. This was on Sunday evening. I called Monday to check on the case and they took me through the song and dance again, even told me they could give me a new number without a new SIM card. Another hour on the phone and still no activation. They said they could not cancel the previous case. I would have to wait.

I called back on Wednesday to check on it and got to Customer Service, and wanted a refund. They couldn't refund me only send another phone. They could not activate. They sent me to another Customer Service that told me my phone was in service. It showed in service in my settings but had no phone number showing and was showing no network connection. I was talking on that phone because it's the only call you can make until you get activated, so I asked her just to check and see if she would call me back in 10 minutes to see if the phone was working. She never called back. I had another supervisor suppose to call me and he never called back.

I left some of this out. It's too long and really pathetic. I'm so angry I could bite nails and they don't give a damn. I purchased a phone that is good for nothing but playing games or using WiFi to check email. I worked for a contractor for Apple for 3 years, I was a supervisor and as bad as Apple is this is much worse. These people would have been fired. I am having to go to another carrier and get service but I'll be damned if I'm letting them get by with it, if it cost me some more money. Very ticked-off man.

I have been a Cricket customer for a few months and have traveled the U.S. east coast and the signal is just as good as Verizon. I got a LG Stylo for less than $200 dollars. I love it. I pay $30.00 a month for service and it was the best choice I have ever made. I am saving a lot of money and service is just as good as Verizon.

My underage son stole my credit card information and I was trying to find out the address that was used to prove that it was him that did it, BUT the stupid ass cricket wireless told me they cannot look up any orders pertaining to the issue that I told them about, by using my credit card number and my name. I went back online and they told me the same **, and I cursed and said, someone used MY ** credit card number and they can't give any information on where the items that were ordered are being mailed to or anything. Are you ** kidding me? And they had the nerve to warn me about cursing at them. Bottom line, their customer service sucks major ass and when my son is ** arrested for credit card fraud, the police and/or an attorney will be contacting them to obtain all of their ** records to find out what the goddamned mailing address that was used.

Paid my bill but kept telling me I still owed money. Any other company you pay online it shows you paid. How can they give a confirmation number and not apply to your account. This company is the worst!! Can't dial out but I can use data. Stupid. Don't switch to them. Stay where you are at. It is not worth the trouble.

Because I use unlocked phones with SIM cards, I chose Cricket after the AT&T merger. Having been a former customer of AT&T, I believed I'd get the same data experience with Cricket. I was such a fool! Now my job is less than 2 miles from the main AT&T data transmission center in Charlotte, NC and STILL have the worse data connection speeds I've ever seen! Zero bars, no connection... Oh wait, came back, see a web page loading then POOF! Fooled ya, no connection. And regardless of what other posted comments claim, this is after the bill is paid. I honestly believe data is capped on Cricket customers to give more bandwidth to regular AT&T customers. Customer service only gives one explanation- I should purchase one of their locked, bloatware filled phones for better speeds. Nice option.

Download speeds are so slow, I could walk to my local library (5 miles away) before a video loads enough data to actually play. It's just a rotten experience from the data end. Calls and texting works great, but my smartphone isn't very "smart" until I get home and use my own WiFi. Why offer any data plan at all when you can't make it a consistent experience?

Ridiculous Hidden Fees - Even though I have a month to month, no contract plan, there is a $5 "suspension" fee if you don't pay for your next month before your current service end date. Bad Customer Service - Rude service representatives that have a weak command of the English language.

One star rating because that is as low as allowed! On Friday my wife order each of us new phones through the Cricket Wireless website so that we could continue to use the AT&T tower. The process seemed simple enough other than you could only place one phone in your cart at a time which I thought was odd. But the process is complete and I receive an email confirming the order, another confirming shipment, and then a third with the link to transfer my phone number to the new phone. So everything is great right? Well my phone doesn't show when it should (Monday) and my wife has yet to receive her set of emails confirming the purchase of her phone.

Tuesday morning she call Cricket Customer Non Service and is told they had cancelled her order from Friday because both orders were made from the same browser and she would need to reorder which she did on the spot. After which she asked Customer Non Service about the status of my order, which began a three hour transfer from one to another talking head marathon in which we found out that after shipping my phone out they had told UPS to return it to them, and we could not be told any reason why this was the case. At this point my wife decided she didn't want to deal with them anymore, and truthfully neither do nor will I ever again, and asked to cancel the order she had placed.

They responded that it could not be cancelled but she would need to return the phone to them for a refund that would take approximately ten days. We chalked that up as them being a shady business with a complete lack of concern for customers, but then my wife checked the balance on our checking account. It was at this point that we realized that we had been charged for the phone that they decided I would receive after shipping it out, for the phone they decided to cancel because she had used the same browser and for the phone that she had reordered this morning because of their faulty website design and horrible customer relations. Not sure what the monetary damage would come to out of this adventure but I do know that Cricket Wireless and their Customer Non Service is little more than a con man selling snake oil to the sick and elderly and should not be used by anyone under any reason!

I ordered a replacement phone online 9/29/16. As of today (10/2/16) I have not received the phone (Via ups) despite the advertised delivery of next day delivery. Also unable to track past 10/1 7 am. So I'm waiting for 2 days to receive a phone that will not be delivered until 10/3 (maybe). I notice my check cleared within the 24 hour timeframe. No trouble with that portion of the transaction!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.
  • Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.
  • Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.
  • BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.
  • Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.
  • Best for Cricket Wireless is best for budget-conscious consumers, business owners and parents.

Compare Prepaid Phones