1.70/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 16, 2018

1358 Cricket Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 16, 2018

Spoke with Chelsea ** who thought it was appropriate to start the professional email to follow my complaint "GM!". As well Shakib ** emailed me today, it is not a customer based company, I lost data, had to pay to have my first malfunctioning phone sent out, never received a credit for the days missed, time spent, now the replacement has the same issues. I've only been a customer of Cricket 6 months now, this company really treats you insignificantly. This would not have been as difficult if the leads in Atlanta that contacted me had an ounce of tact and professionalism but customer care is not their priority. AT&T truly has better service. #ImOut.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I barely got two new phones in their promotional plan 80 for two lines unlimited so they said. First issue I went back two days because mine and my son's phone kept shutting the windows we were viewing or taking a while to load. I swear when I get there it didn't act up. They were looking at me like I'm lying and don't have nothing to do. So they said it has to act up in front of them. And I only had three days to return a defective phone. Came home. It started doing good until data ran out... Yes come to find out it was not unlimited data. And it started acting up. If I play Youtube it stops after 1 min. I gotta keep pushing play. Then if I'm viewing something online it shuts the window out within seconds. This is two weeks later. If I'm on a call it keeps hanging up. So I'm thinking ok I guess because the data ran out they gonna hang up my calls so I can add more. I will not.

They gave me a damn defective phone mine and my son. They already got our damn money by falsely saying it's unlimited. The three day window period is over so no luck for me on a phone. I will be switching back to MetroPCS soon or some other company. I already read several reviews that others as well have problems with phones acting this way. I know exactly what it is because I work in cell phone repair industry. Since several people have had the same problem with phones it comes down to one conclusion. They have their phones do that so you can go buy a new one. Which I will not. I thought Cricket would provide better service but their phone sales are bad. Defective ** phones. I am furious I switch from Metro to Cricket and get this.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 11, 2018

I was looking for a new phone with hotspot capabilities. In February I purchased the LG Harmony. Cricket website describes that the LG Harmony is hotspot capable. After receiving the phone I went online to try to activate the hotspot. I was unable to do it myself so I contacted Cricket for their assistance. They informed me that my phone was not hotspot capable. I informed them that the description stated that it was and still to this day states that it is. They informed me that there was nothing they could do. It was suggested that I purchased a new phone and I could get the list of capable phones off their website. So after spending the money on the phone that was described to me as hotspot capable I am stuck with a phone that I cannot activate as a hotspot phone. It doesn't matter if I pay extra or not. It is unavailable to do.

I called Cricket back. I informed the attendant that I was recording the phone call and I asked them if there was any way that I could do something about this phone. Explain the situation that happened in February. The man name John said that this was not a problem. He will set it up for me. He informed me that sometimes during this process we would be cut off but not to worry. He will call me back. He even stated what phone number that he would call me back on. It was correct. Unsurprisingly we just happened to get disconnected. After waiting an hour I called back to see if the process could be continued. And unsurprisingly again I was given completely different information.

Everything that John told me I was informed was incorrect. When I told the second attendant that I had recorded everything John told me I was basically informed it didn't matter that it was wrong information and he didn't even apologize of everything that I had been through. Again suggested to go online and research the list of compatible phones and purchase another one. So I am still stuck with a phone that in the description stated it was hotspot capable but can't be activated.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I left the US to Europe for 2 months. Unfortunately my phone was stolen from the Miami Airport. Since I can not dial a toll free number from Europe I have tried calling local stores asking for help and everyone has been very rude specially the Manager at the Merritt Island office. I'm trying not to lose my number and the only way is continuing making payments. They don't have a way to contact them if you are out of the US and have to deal with the frustration and runless.

Original review: April 9, 2018

We have two Samsung AMP 2 phones, and they have been defective since we got them in 2016 to where we have had to have them replaced 4 times. This last time we said, "Forget it. We deal with it." The phones act like they are being controlled remotely. It's very odd how it can be doing things and as soon as I get off of live chat where they say "nothing is wrong with it" all of a sudden it stops doing what it was doing. This last time my AMP 2 was charging up in the middle of the night. I woke up to shattered glass on the phone. The chips were actually coming OFF the phone. 1 FOOT from my head!!!

Cricket says "Sorry nothing we can do about it. You got no insurance," even though we did pay for insurance. THEN I get told by a live agent..."We are not responsible for Damage." I said, "Excuse me? It SHATTERED while it was charging. YOU are responsible..." I keep getting the runaround. They don't mind giving NEW people phones free but they won't replace MINE. IT'S BS!! And it NEEDS TO STOP!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Original review: April 4, 2018

Switched to Cricket, and Alcatel phone purchased from Cricket had numerous advertising and unnecessary apps that could not be deleted. These apps had constant pop-ups and false "warnings" as notices to download other apps. Customer service tried to help delete them without success, and finally reset the phone. The apps were gone for a few minutes, then came back after the phone automatically synced up with Cricket. Even the built-in calculator had an ad. Quit Cricket after a month. Stuck with the Alcatel phone. So glad to go back to MetroPCS and a Samsung phone that allowed all the initial bloatware and ads to be removed.

Original review: April 3, 2018

When we 1st got Cricket Wireless they told us they don't charge you fees for anything. We had been with them since 2013. Bought new phones in 2015. They told us, "buy them online you won't be charged a fee". I went to buy a phone online this year and they wanted to charge us a $25 fee plus the money for the phone plus we would have to pay our bill. You can change your plan at any time without paying a fee. We changed our plan this year 2018 and they charged us a fee. Every time I turn around they charge us a fee for something.

Original review: April 1, 2018

When I signed up for Cricket back in December one of my PRIORITIES was a hotspot. I communicated this to the sales associate and he guaranteed me that it would be included. Fast forward 4 months later when my phone gets disconnected, while I was traveling with my young children, even though my service was prepaid for another 2 weeks. Their reasoning, I was violating their terms by using my hotspot. And as I have seen in above reviews, no one in customer service speaks understandable English and there was NO time during my conversation when they seemed concerned about my business.

It is no wonder we end up with Verizon as a monopoly. Anyways, after a couple of very frustrating 1/2 hour phone calls, they tell me that neither of my phones (including one I bought from Cricket because I was told it was comparable with hotspot) was eligible for hotspot service. Now I am STUCK waiting for my 6 months of service to unlock my one phone... and in the meantime I have NO hotspot. In addition, since I've had my service turned back on my "high speed, 4g, unlimited" service is not functioning. I will be waiting for the class action for this.

Original review: March 29, 2018

So it's been 20 days. Have had to service I try. Came from another carrier Transformer lines over to Cricket Wireless. Since day one the store that help me out located in Santa Ana California in the shopping center of Bristol and McFadden. The associate goes by the name of Brenda. She clearly gave me a horrible service. One of the worst I've had in my life. I was previously running retail stores and I know what a consumer is for a business. I'm a business owner myself and the first thing I value is my people who is under my responsibility and of course my consumer for this reason escalating this review sayings customer support from Cricket Wireless was unable to help me and the store was unable to help me as well.

It's not a big thing. It's not a oh my God. I'm going to lose a billion dollars because it's not and it's not about the money. It's about the value. It's about you promise something you must comply especially 3 consumers. I was promised and I was given a certain plan which I was told very different of what customer support is telling me. For this reason I'm continuing with this review and I hope that Cricket Wireless president or CEO gets this message and that's the reason they're only a one point five star reviews of service and they ain't going to go anymore unless they changed the whole infrastructure all the way from associates from training to customer support.

They maybe have they might have a different policies and other carriers but so far they're the worst so here's my case. All I ask when it comes to network especially in Wireless I know it like the back of my hand. I know when a associate mentions its unlimited internet and they wash their hands off when a customer comes complaining that they were told unlimited internet because they respond as an associate. It's going to say, "Yes we are offering unlimited internet. We just didn't told you if it was going to be for G LTE Unlimited." But this is my case. I was promised unlimited 4G LTE. All they have to do is go back on my account with my two lines change the plan and credit me as the consumer for their mistake. No more than $10 that I would not mind paying those $10 of difference but the way I was treated the way I was given the options without being helped is the with its why it's a reason I'm declining and I don't want to pay that difference.

If I was told, "Yes. I'm going to help you. Yes. Imma do this for you. Yes. I'm going to take care of you. Yes. Don't worry about it. Yes. You don't have to go back to the store because that's what they're doing to the retail store so they had they just have us back and forth." I know it's not your mistake so you won't have to worry about it... I know when a associate mentions it's unlimited internet and they wash their hands off. Damn service. Not even using microphone for text works. This is not all of what I said...

Original review: March 29, 2018

It seems every month my data goes faster and faster, I am not using it any more than normal. Also their customer service is a complete joke, no one speaks English very well, they don’t understand you and the customer is always wrong and they will not accept any responsibility for the problems you are having with THEIR service. Their billing is ridiculous and they had a reward system which has now been taken away with very little notice and I lost all my points which were not many because there were not many ways to collect them. Do yourself a favor and stay away. I too will be leaving this carrier. Don't believe they will survive much longer.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I went to Cricket on March 6th to get a phone. The phone I wanted, the one they advertised was out of stock so I got a less popular brand which died the next day. I called the store and corporate and they said as long as I returned the phone within seven days it would be no problem. I brought the phone back in six and they had no phones in stock. I returned after twelve days and they said I waited too long. So I went to Metro PCS and got a better plan with a free phone. I never liked crickets and now I hate Cricket Wireless.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy S8 from Cricket on Monday 3/19/2018 for $350 on sale brand new and received it through the mail on Thursday 3/22/2018. When I turned the phone it seemed like everything was fine but I noticed that every five minutes the phone reboots itself. I tried to factory reset the phone and that didn't work. I proceeded to call Cricket to send this broken phone back so that I could get another new one that worked. The warranty and customer service section said I have two options to either accept a full refund or they can send me a refurbished phone. I don't understand why I should be getting a refurbished phone when I paid the sales price for a new S8. I can't get into touch with any manager and just keep getting pushed around. This is extremely unprofessional for such a simple solution.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I started using Cricket about 2 years ago. At first I started out with just one line and a month later I added 2 more lines. I started to notice that I wasn’t getting reliable service in my home and after a lot of calls being missed and not receiving text messages I switched my number over to AT&T which I know is their sister company. Left the other 2 lines with Cricket for the main reason wanted to see if there was any difference with AT&T. Service was a little better. Started researching a little more and discovered that Boost had some amazing deals and was A WHOLE LOT cheaper with their family plans. With Cricket and AT&T I was paying over $175 for 3 phone lines.

I switched 2 lines over from Cricket to Boost and immediately noticed that the service, customer service, and the price was unbelievable. I went today to switch over my last line from Cricket to Boost and let me say (on Cricket's end) it was a complete nightmare!!! I was on the phone for over an hour refusing to pay them another $55 just so I can transfer a simple 10 digit number. The service had gotten so bad that it 911 needed to be called from that one line ya you wouldn’t be able to due to the service being so bad. The customer service is awful. The plans are awful and the coverage is awful! I would strongly suggest do not use Cricket. Yes at the time it might seem like a good idea but honestly it’s a rip-off and a huge headache in the end.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Bill payment accepted, now no service. I paid my payment two days early, bill was due the 19th. I got locked out of my account and spent an hour and a half on the phone to correct the matter. While I was speaking with the representative he noticed that I was on autopay. I told him to take me off, I hadn’t asked nor given permission for them to auto debit my account. Today’s 03-20-2018. My service is disconnected, I’ve gotten a few text letting me know that the bill was due, but if I had paid already to disregard the messages. I called the 1-800 # at 6am, but they don’t get there until 7am. Buyer Beware!

Original review: March 17, 2018

My wife and I have had Cricket for nearly 4 years. Everything was fine, until a few months ago... All of a sudden at random parts of the day usually evening/night my wife, and myself can't receive calls, or text messages for hours at a time (usually 3-6 hours). It's almost as if the network is completely down, and at first I thought it was. We have our own business and travel all throughout the country for work for months at a time. This issue started in Nevada, and since has remained an issue in 7 different states, and at first was not a big issue at all, hardly ever happened, but now it is every day.

When talking to other friends and family who have Cricket we're not the only ones with these problems!! When the network does come back, I receive sometimes 15-20 text messages all at once. Customer service is next to useless/clueless. They're often very hard to understand, and hardly able to speak English at all. Each time I've spoke to customer service, they're not only uneducated, lack common sense, and completely unaware of basic network fundamentals, they blame the phone. Another time they said it was because my wife's phone and my phone were connected to two separate cell towers, and therefore were unable to communicate correctly. I didn't know what else to do but to throw my arms up in complete and utter exhaustion and frustration, in complete shock that this was the response from customer service.

They also recommended we just buy new phones (we had ZTE's at the time, also a bad decision), so we did one better, and I recommend anyone purchasing a phone on a Cricket network do this. My wife and I went to Best Buy and actually purchased phones we wanted, UNLOCKED (so that when Cricket's customer service solution of purchasing new phones didn't solve our issues, we could leave the network without eating the cost of a Cricket phone that wouldn't work on any other network. We could just take our new unlocked phones with us).

Well Cricket's solution did not work, it's not the phones, it's their network, or lack thereof. My wife and I will be leaving Cricket and be going back to Verizon. You pay more, but their network actually works and is extremely reliable, their customer service is actually competent, and when there are issues their first solution isn't just giving them more money. Do yourselves a big favor folks, stay away from Cricket, Boost, Metro, etc... I've had every single major prepaid carrier and every single one of them ends up being complete garbage after the first few months. Pay the extra money and go with a real carrier, it is more, but it works. You get what you pay for holds up in this case.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Each morning when I try to use my phone from my house, I get a message saying, "cellular network not available for voice calls." This has been happening for, 5-6 months. Never had the problem before. I downloaded an application to test the signal strength on my phone and my husband's. The signal strength on the 4G network is barely there if at all. I am paying for something I am not fully getting or not getting at all.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Absolutely disgusted. I tried to purchase a hotspot for my phone a couple weeks ago. I made a 10 dollar payment online because that was the requirement to start the service. I had to call the company to find out why the purchase wasn't allowing the hotspot to work. Turns out my phone wasn't compatible. I was slightly upset about this but the guy offered to refund my money back to my card. I originally told the guy just to leave it on my account. But before the end of the call I told him that I'd changed my mind as I'm fed up with their service and will be going to a different company at the end of my billing cycle, and he said that was fine. As it turns out he never refunded my card and only documented the part of the call where I said to credit my 10 dollars. After the call I assumed the money would be back on my card. Well it's not there and as of yesterday I left Cricket and went to MetroPCS.

The money wasn't put on my card and when I called in to tell them I'd like my 10 dollars back she refused me telling me there is no way to refund my money even if it is an error on their behalf because the guy only documented the part of the conversation when I said to credit the money for my bill and not the part when I changed my mind. I will never go back to Cricket again and I will do everything in my power to get my money back. I don't understand how any company can refuse you your money that you paid for a service not being used. Especially the fact that the guy only documented part of the conversation. It's my money and it's not a contract but they don't have to pay me back? Never again!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I called Cricket Wireless to check if my phones would transfer to Cricket from Metro PCS. I was assured that they were transferable by their online representative. I then purchased two SIM cards in two months of service from Cricket Wireless. And when I went to activate them there was nothing. I called Cricket back and I was told my phones are not transferable to Cricket. I was told that I would not get a refund because they do not give refunds for purchases made through Cricket Wireless. So they refused to give me my money back for a product I did not receive. I think that is wrong.

Someone needs to be held accountable for the crap Cricket is doing to people. There is not much that little person can do other than what I am doing file complaints with the Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission, and consumer. Now I have to hope that my bank will do a chargeback for the money Cricket stole from me and wait till 45 days to possibly receive my bunny back. How is this legal. How does Cricket take money from consumers provide no product and no return.? That is a rip-off. Am I right?

Original review: March 11, 2018

If you pay for any international minutes to other countries at the end of your cycle your whole account will shut off and you will not have phone service until you call customer service and pay the $15 it takes to have 70 international minutes. After that you still won't be able to have those full 70 minutes of talk because whatever you used before the end of the cycle is what you got whether it was 30 or even 5 minutes. THEY WILL NOT give you those minutes you paid for because it was at the end of your cycle. Plus your phone service in the USA got cut off even though you paid it 2 days ago. Then they will hit you up with another $3 fee and not even inform you of the fee until they processed it and won't give it back to you until the next billing cycle. The fee by the way is for calling them to fix it rather than using the automated system. They may be cheap phone service but they suck at customer service and giving you what you paid for.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I call them Crooked Cricket. The lack of respect they portray on the consumer by trying to fast talk about "motherboard" being the reason your phone isn't working (when in fact it was the bad charger they sold me). I asked the rep to try to charge the phone (the phone was less than 1 month old) and see if that was the problem. He wouldn't even attempt, stating that if you use a different charger on your phone than the one it came with "it messes with the motherboard which destroys your phone".

He then informed me that my phone was "a disposable phone", which the sales rep at the time I bought the phone advised me "we don't carry disposable phones". I was so frustrated that I said "I will just buy the same phone again"... The rep then charged me an UPGRADE FEE. What?? On a disposable phone that he said it was??? Crooked Cricket...NEVER AGAIN!!! BTW...the issue ended up being that my phone only needed a new charger. TRUE STORY.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Cricket Wireless service was very bad in our home, so I opted to change it to T-Mobile. During the change at the T-Mobile store, the sales guy helped me so I could get my phone number "ported over" and become active, being sure I said exactly the right thing in the request. However Customer Service people "Betsy" and "Janice" who have heavy Hispanic accents at 1-800-274-2538 decided I needed my phone number cancelled instead. Since it has been delayed in "porting over" I called Cricket back. They said I told them to cancel it (NO I DID NOT) and there will be a $55 charge to correct this mistake. I told them NO I'm not paying for a mistake THEY made. Janice talked down to me telling me, "I already told you that" several times. I ask to speak to a supervisor and they put me on eternal hold -- 30 minutes and still waiting. STAY AWAY from Cricket Wireless. Very unprofessional and playing games with customers.

Original review: March 9, 2018

So my mother has the cheapest plan you have on your market. I gave her the LG Stylo for Christmas and already is experiencing issues with the phone. Been to a store where a manager said "nothing we can do, next" like, "What the hell, help me, it's your job." He said my wifi was on which is a damn lie. I want my issue resolved or my family and are changing providers asap.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Cricket customer service is horrible like everyone else on here is apparently reporting. They cut your service off understandably but to deactivate your phone is another. It's like they don't encourage you at all to use their service. Then there's the extra fees... And never do bridge pay. And to speak with someone who could actually speak well enough to understand forget it. Horrible is the nicest word I can come up with.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I was with Cricket for about 3 to 4 years. I had a $40 phone, that I loved that worked great, that is until 2 Cricket reps got ahold of it, long story short I was told Cricket would NOT replace the phone they destroyed due to stupidity and negligence. 6 months went by, during that time I was denied 3 upgrades due to their bait and switch tactics, they display $100 and under phones, but only sell $100 and up phones... I even had one rep laugh at me and turn her back on me. Another person who claimed to be from corporate, a search of his number proved he was not. Landline nowhere near the corporate offices...listed as a residence.

This Einstein told me if I paid $100 for a phone it would last 100 years. I told him about a woman who paid $600 and her phone stopped working 6 months later, yes Cricket refused to make it right. Cricket wanted me to pay $375 to keep their service, my roommates and I instead went to Metro PCS and paid a little over $150. Our $160 phones were free. 160 per phone we needed 3...so all we paid was $90 for our service plus taxes and fees. Btw the final straw came when my sister tried for nearly 2 weeks to call and text me about our mother, I found out two days before her funeral that she died. Good riddance to a rubbish carrier.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I was somewhat gratified to see how many others are as pissed off as I am at Cricket's "customer service" department. What a nightmare. For the past several days I've been trying to reach Directory Assistance in another state, but when I dialed 411 I got a recording saying "the service you dialed isn't currently available". So I dialed "0". Same message. Then, extremely reluctantly, I called 611. Like others who have posted, I reached someone whose first language is NOT English. So frustrating.

After I explained my problem, he actually asked me which number I was trying to reach. I said that I was trying to reach Directory Assist. because I DIDN'T HAVE A NUMBER! He gave me an 800 number for Directory Assist. which I called. It's all automated and it didn't understand the last name I was giving it. I called 611 again, re-explained my problem and tried, once again, to explain what the hell I was trying to do. I finally asked if I could speak with someone whose first language was English and he argued that he WAS speaking English. I wound up hanging up on him.

The next day I actually went to my local Cricket store and they told me I should be able to dial 411 (I wanted to reach a live person). She even dialed it from their own personal Cricket phone and got through just fine. Then she said that I'd have to, shudder, call Customer Service because there was no reason I shouldn't be able to get through. I went home and called C/S again and they again insisted on giving me the 800 number and said there was an option to speak to a live person. So I hung up and tried it again. Well that was a lie - there is no option for a live person or I would have opted for that in the first damn place! I had to go to my Dad's house and use his landline in order to speak to an actual live person. I guess you get what you pay for with Cricket.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I got my first Cricket phone and was pleased until... I paid for my next month's service one day late. They deactivated my account because I didn't pay on time and slapped me with a fat Fee to get it reactivated.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

After being frustrated with the lack of memory and the expenses I was shelling out with my current phone, I looked at my options. Cricket and Metro PCS seemed to be about the same ratings-wise and price. I ultimately went with Cricket because I had read about their phone recycle program which Metro did not have. The two guys at the store I went to were great. I ended up spending an hour there. Much longer than I had anticipated. I had no issues on that end. However, when I looked at my bill, it showed that the amount due was the 8th of March even though I got the phone on the 9th of February. The built-in application made it seem simple to change the due date. All I needed to do was move the day one forward. I tried doing it through chat but I was told to do it via the phone.

I called the phone number, bypassed the option to speak Spanish and got someone who had a thick accent and apparently did not understand English too well. It also sounded like she was chewing gum. She told me they were unable to move the due date and I would be dropped from the program and suggested I try another program. All I wanted was to move it from the 8th to the 9th. How was that so difficult? I couldn't understand all that she was saying and got annoyed. I mean I only signed up because of the reviews. I could have easily gone with Metro. I said "Thank you" and hung up. However since then, I have been getting multiple text messages from Cricket in Spanish. My call with them ended at 1:20 and I have gotten over fifteen messages in the span of four minutes telling me it is not necessary to respond. This seems like spam to me.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

According to the Ralph the c.s. supervisor he is now the person who signs everyone's paychecks at Cricket. He refused to let me speak with anyone else above him, stating he was the highest. So I asked him if he signed the paychecks because if not then there is someone else I can speak with. Then of course crickets... He disconnected the call. Signed up for new service and order was cancelled because Cricket won't take symbols in the address that matches credit card billing and they won't take orders over the phone and told me to use a different card or try it again after they just took out 409.00 for a new phone and service that I now will have to wait to get credited back to me. I was told by the supervisor because of my address that I would not be able to ever have service with them unless I change my address. I just want my money back and never deal with them again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018 I was with Cricket for nearly a year and up until a couple days ago I had nothing bad to say about them. Now I have canceled my service and am selling my phone. I needed a new phone because my old phone would not receive phone calls in my basement, yes it was a software issue and not an issue with service.

I went into a physical Cricket store near me and was wanting to look at the LG Stylo 3. They had a replica on display, it was a dummy phone that I couldn't actually test out before I bought it. I went online and the reviews for the phone were phenomenal so I decided to go with it. When I got back home to check out my new phone I liked some things about it but there were a few things that I couldn't live with for the next 2 years which is how long I typically keep my phones. It was a "cheaper" phone so I wasn't sure what to expect.

So I wanted to upgrade my phone, I wanted a better camera, sound, screen, etc. Than the Stylo 3 had and something I was used to. Don't get me wrong the Stylo 3 was nice. So I decided to return the phone a day later. Upon returning the phone I was told that I would be charged a $25 dollar restocking fee which was not listed on the return policy posted on the checkout counter... What was posted was a policy of being able to return merchandise within 7 days if returned in like new condition. The lady said that it was printed on the back of the receipt that was printed out after I had already purchased the phone. Now this one I was not really upset about even though it seemed unethical. She then tells me my total that would be refunded to my card and it was $50 less than what I had paid a day earlier.

I asked her about it and she said that I was charged an "upgrade" fee and it was non-refundable. I told her that that didn't seem right as in ethical, and she assured me that it was a policy set by corporate. Mind you, I actually downgraded my phone. Now I know $50 dollars isn't a lot of money, especially for Cricket Wireless after taking in all that dough from unethical business practices, but it was the idea that I wanted to continue service with them and change phones and was hit with unnecessary fees. I called Cricket and they said that it was non-refundable. So now I'm voicing my opinion. I understand that fees may be necessary but I think $50 dollars is a little absurd especially on my $130 phone.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

In December 2017 I left Verizon Wireless due to billing and service problems. A friend of mine recommended Cricket wireless and after talking to a few more of my friends and how they love the service I decided to go with Cricket. When I signed up I had to buy a phone from Cricket because I still owed money on my Verizon phone. So I bought a phone for 10.00 because I knew as soon as my Verizon phone was paid off I was going to put on my Cricket service. Upon signing up with Cricket I told them what I was going to do with the phones. They told me that it wouldn't be any problem. Well that was a big lie.

A week ago I switched phones on my account so that left me with my 10.00 phone I purchased from their company. Thinking that since I paid for the phone it is mine to use however I wanted to. Well that was not the case. Yesterday I tried to put the 10.00 phone on my friend's TracFone account because she wanted to upgrade her phone and since I had this extra phone I didn't see why she couldn't use it. Well to find out the phone is locked I cannot use it for any other provider except Cricket Wireless even though it is paid for. I spoke to four different managers. Well at least that is what they told me but they all was foreign so who's to say, with one Cricket wireless company and I got from them telling me I have to have my account for 6 months before they could unlock my phone.

Then they read the terms and conditions and policies to me. So I got another Cricket phone number. The company is located in Georgia and I spoke to a customer service and she told me the same thing. I could not get the unlock pin until I been on my service plan for 6 months. So after arguing with her and listening her reading the policies and terms and conditions to me over and over I asked speak to a manager. Oh dont let me forget the woman said she could not bend the policies because she would lose her job.

I told her, "As a customer service person you should lose your job for not helping your customer and trying to keep your customer happy." After she put her supervisor on and again I was read the terms and conditions and the policies. And on top of that I was told that the 10.00 phone has to be on my account for 6 months for it to be unlocked.

My reply was, "I have a 600.00 phone which is better than the 10.00 phone and I was told upon signing up with your company I could use my Verizon phone with no problem. Now you're telling me I have to use the phone I bought from your company for 6 months to have it unlocked and leave my 600.00 phone lay around and not use it" and her reply is yes. I told her that I was going back to Verizon. At least they will work with their customers and help them and her reply was, "Well am sorry but that is your choice. There is nothing I can do for you." So again she read the terms and conditions and policies to me again. Their Customer service sucks as well. They are liars.

Cricket Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.

• Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.

• Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.

• BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.

• Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.

• Best for: Cricket Wireless is best for budget-conscious consumers, business owners and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs