Cricket Wireless

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Regardless of the poor reviews, I am rating Cricket a five star (so far). I have had the LG Stylo 2 for 6 weeks now and have had no problems whatsoever with coverage or the phone. I switched from AT&T because they use the same towers guaranteeing me the same coverage, and saving me $20 per month. And a new phone for very little.

I didn't mind paying the $25 activation fee in the store because the gentleman set up everything for me and transferred all my info from my Galaxy Note - I was aware that I would not be charged activation if I purchased the phone online but I would never purchase any electronics without trying it first. I use my phone for GPS, calls, texts, apps, games, emails & YouTube with no problem! Just a heads up, I do not do any streaming on my phone.

Log into my account needs to print a call log for the previous month to current. A rep. told me I had to have a subpoena order or a lawyer request. In order to obtain a copy because to protect my privacy??? Really... I am not hiring an attorney and not spending time in court. This is STUPID... I understand by protecting privacy but not from the own customer itself. Changed back to Boost. Way better.

Pros - The service (signal coverage) provided by cricket is wonderful, AT&T's network has excellent coverage in my area. Cricket provides the option to bring your own phone... If you are considering cricket purchase an unlocked phone from ebay or amazon or direct and then bring it to cricket... DO NOT BUY A PHONE FROM CRICKET!!! READ BELOW. The pricing at cricket is unbeatable.

Cons - The customer service is horrible. Cricket has a 7 day (6 days, date of purchase counts against you) return policy, after that you are sold. Cricket does not stand behind its products... I purchased a ZTE Grand max x 2. This phone is horrible it constantly freezes and crashes. Cricket provides a warranty service for 1 year, so I sent in the phone. They sent me a replacement. Well the replacement sucks too. Not only does the replacement exhibit the same problems but they placed it in a bubble wrap sleeve and put it in a box. That's the only protection they provided for shipping... so they obviously don't care about the product.

The customer service representatives in the store need serious attitude adjustments, they do not make you feel welcome nor care about any complaints you have. I'm currently stuck with a "$150 dollar phone" (yes it's in quotes because it isn't worth $5 bucks in my opinion...). I'll be using an unlocking service and selling this phone... hopefully to recuperate some of my loss. I have chosen to stick with cricket even if the customer service and products they sell are complete trash solely because the prices provided can't be beat... But I strongly advise everyone to BRING YOUR OWN PHONE!!!

Cricket has the worst customer service EVER!!! The reps barely speak English and you have to repeat yourself a million times to still not get anywhere. They tell you one thing then change when you call back. The managers are customer service reps pretending to be a manager. My son broke his phone and they will not allow me to cancel his line without making a full payment?? Why would I pay for a phone that cannot be used? I'd rather go back to Metro with not so great service but has really good customer service than stay with Cricket that has a decent service and HORRIBLE customer service. I don't think no one cared when I told them that they're losing two customers. So sad, so sad!

I have 5 phones with Cricket Wireless and when I went in to my local Cricket store to pay my bill I asked to upgrade my account. After upgrading I asked to pay my bill and I did so with my debit card. When I woke the next day I realized my phone and all my children's phones were turned off. I contacted customer service and asked, "Why my phones are off when I paid my phone bill in full?" I was directed to a supervisor Mazzie that informed me that I was not charged for my 9.99 upgrade and that even though it was the employee's fault that the correct amount was not charged. When I swiped my card my service was suspended. I informed her that "Fine you can remove the upgrade since I have yet to receive anything and you have cut off all my phones even when a hundred and twenty dollars and change was paid yesterday."

Mazzie informed me that NO CHANGES could be made while my account was suspended so I would have to now pay for a upgrade I no longer wanted (because I was angry and did not want to give them anything more) before my phone lines would be working!!! I asked for someone higher Mazzie's boss and was informed that no one higher takes calls! She informed me that she did not have to give me a employee number or a last name and that there was no one that would care to help me that was higher up than her.

I paid the 9.99 because it was the only way to get my lines that I had already paid for back on and then again asked that "Now that my phones are not suspended can I speak to someone else?" and she informed me that no she was it and if I had a problem with the 9.99 upgrade that I could take it up with my bank. I now see why Cricket Wireless is affordable. Because they do not care about their customers they only take our money and refuse to even speak with their customers when there is a problem that was wrong and not of their doing! When someone representing your company does something wrong you should be able to have it fixed!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

I have tried over several times to change the date my auto pay bill will be charged to my account. I keep calling but they keep telling me what day I should call back to have change process because of some bull about their billing system. So last January on the 11th, 2017 I called and it was confirmed that they will start autopay on the 9th instead of the 7th. I originally asked for the 10th because I get paid and have direct deposit on the 10th but since my account is posted on the 9th, I didn't mind.

Well to make my story short, this morning (Feb 6th at 9:10 a.m.) I received an automated text reminder that they will be taking $65 from account tomorrow. Immediately, I called Cricket (611) on my cell only to go through hours of bull and run arounds with the first representative only to hung up on me. I asked them since they claim they record the conversations, they needed to review the recording.

The funny thing is before this lady hung up, she repeated what notes the last person I spoke with back in January and clearly it said to be taken out on the 9th and yet she continues to tell me repeatedly that I need to call them back on the 11th of this month because some crap about their billing. So she hung up and tried to block my calls. I finally got through after six attempts or so to be told by another lady the same garbage the first one told me. So now I am back to square one, they will try to take money from my account tomorrow when I do not get paid until the 10th.

Texting suddenly stopped functioning. Could not fix problem and was not given due credit. After my third call to CS and what they claimed was only my second, I was happy I only had a month to month plan and could easily cancel service after less than a few months. Terrible customer service, period. 1/4 star and that's no joke. Beware of this seemingly wonderful service.

The way in which I use my phone has changed. I use to watch movies on Hallmark and free movies from YouTube and never ran out of data from month to month using the $50 plan!! I say it has changed because I no longer watch movies, only Shorts YouTube videos here and there. My billing is on the 25th of every month and paid in full, never late and for some reason directly after I make my payment on the phone using Cricket bill pay by phone and directly after I received the confirmation of payment it put me back into the system telling me I still owe the money for my bill but I receive a text message confirming that they received the payment and a confirmation number!

On Monday January 30th (5days into my new billing cycle) I received this text message from Cricket... "Cricket here! We're so glad you're part of Cricket Nation, and hope you'll be smiling because our promotional 5GB to 8GB increase to your monthly high-speed data is now permanent for your $50/mo plan at no extra cost. Click www.cricketwireless.com/moredata to learn more." SO THIS ALMOST DOUBLES MY DATA!!! And yet today which is only February 1st, only 7 days into my plan and I received this text message from Cricket... "A heads up from Cricket! You've used 75% of your high-speed data for the current month. Once you reach your plan limit, your browsing, downloads, etc., will slow down significantly until the end of your monthly plan cycle. You can reduce data use by using Wi-Fi hotspots, visit cricketwireless.com/wifi for info."

THIS IS COMPLETE B.S.!!! I have an Android phone which is not capable of taking a screenshot otherwise I would have sent a picture. Therefore, I only have the option to cut and paste either the actual text received or the date of the text (not both).

I have just recently switched from Verizon where I was paying a ridiculously amount of money for service. I chose Cricket because of the coverage area and the fact that they use AT&T towers. I use GPS often and have had no problems with it in the areas I have used it in for GPS or phone service. I have spoken with customer service with an issue for friend and man they helped me so much. Impressed at this point and hope to continue with Cricket for a long time. I have the $70 unlimited plan. My wifi went out the other day and the unlimited data worked awesome was still able to watch Netflix and surf web.

I was paying over $58 per month for only 2 GB of data with T-Mobile, and after switching to Cricket, I now get 8 GB of data for a flat $45 per month! Being on the AT&T network (which they piggyback off of) also gets me far better reception and fewer dropped calls. Switching was easy, being able to use my existing unlocked iPhone 5. Granted, they don't have any decent international plans for making calls outside of the country, but this will be changing soon. Don't see myself ever going back to another provider.

The company just raised my plan's data from 5GB to 8GB, that's awesome. I did and have found their billing practices to be a bit shady however and when one calls there is a bit of back pedaling. The service where I live is really decent, no dropped calls or very few if any. Overall, the company and service are pretty darn good probably better than most.

I switched to Cricket wireless today at one of their retail locations. I was charged $25 for an activation fee. I was told I shouldn't have to pay it because I was coming from a non-ATT service and would have to contact the 800 number. The first CSR I spoke with said "no problem", she would waive the fee. Then she said I hadn't been charged the fee. This is all coming from a CSR who has a VERY limited grasp of the English language. My bank acct shows I had been charged the fee. The second CSR said I had not been charged the fee.

Finally, a manager got on the line and said I had to pay the fee and she couldn't waive it. So, I was told four different stories and was basically told tough **. If you would like to do business with a company whose employees all tell fictitious stories, in a language that is profoundly hard to understand, and be made to feel like you have no value as a customer, then Cricket is the wireless company for you. Charlatans, liars, and people with low principles are the Cricket family. Enjoy your stay with this intellectually disabled company. Oh, and they're owned by ATT, the same folks who destroyed Directv. Might want to do some research before switching.

We went to Cricket Sunday 1/25/17. They offer 8GB for each phone and giving free phone, $50 phone too and they have discount 2nd phone $10 off, 3rd $20 off, $10 addl for int'l call, pretty good deal. We cancel our Verizon because of promotions. The employee knows our place. She got our address, when we are at home excited to use it, IT'S NO SIGNAL, dead spot. So next day we come back to Cricket, they said no refund. We pay total $275. The other girl said if she's there, she will tell us that our place has dead signal, so they lie, employee should know things around. So we go back to Verizon. They gave us a good deal.

I attempted to upgrade my Cricket service using my Cricket app. The initial notice I saw on the app advised the upgrade occurred without an issue. However, I woke up the next morning and my service was completely suspended. No data, no text, no phone. I was baffled as I was in the middle of my billing cycle and wasn't due for another two weeks. I called "customer service" and they said that my payment had actually declined the night before. I told them that was fine, but didn't explain the suspension in the middle of my billing cycle. When that occurred, rather than just leave me as I was since no payment posted, they still upgraded my service to the more expensive plan, but then suspended my account for non payment of that service.

Additionally they gave me a $36 balance that needed to be paid, instead of the initial $6 asked for the upgrade. That suspension then changed my billing cycle from the 7th of the month to the 20th, without my request or knowledge of that. What?! The woman on the phone, and her supervisor, could not change the billing cycle back to the 7th. They could not explain the reason Cricket would still process an upgrade on a declined payment. They literally could tell me nothing and continually repeated their script over and over. I asked for the supervisor's manager and of course there was no one else to talk to. They offered me the physical address of Cricket to MAIL a complaint.

I requested a phone number or an email address given the year in which we live, and they did not have either to provide. Actually, the saddest part of this entire experience was that this was an offshore call center of Cricket's that they use to avoid paying Americans a living wage. Not only were these employees entirely ill equipped to actually resolve any issue, they were being used by Cricket for cheap labor. The entire situation was pathetic and absurd. Do yourself a favor, find a carrier that doesn't have deceptive practices and will not exploit cheap labor in the process of exploiting you (good luck).

Their website offered a discount on a phone with a qualifying monthly plan. I ordered a phone, paid for it and the plan and was supposed to get the phone overnight. Five days later, I called to find out where my phone was and was told the "order had been dropped". They were to continue the order and send out overnight, again. I received my phone 5 days later. As soon as I accessed the phone, it got so hot, I couldn't hold it. After taking it to the local store, I was told it was defective and needed to be returned for another phone. I returned the phone and didn't hear from them for a week, so I called the warranty dept. to find out the status and was told they would not replace the phone since it was ordered online and I would have to lose the monthly plan I had paid for, but they would refund the money for the phone within 10 days. It has now been 15 days, no refund and 30 days without a phone. BIG SCAM.

I had just switch my service 2 week ago to Cricket Wireless, and I already have a bad service from Cricket Wireless. Cricket is bad service among the all the wireless service provider. Very bad relationship with customer, doesn't try to help out customer. One of the sale rep reactivate one of my line without my permission and ask me to pay the fee for reactivated.

My phone has an error message: No Service/No Network. In the last 48 hrs I have been told a tower was down wait 3 hrs, go to a Cricket store they change the sim and contact customer service, they reset & refreshed the phone. 48 hrs later everything still works except for the issue that cannot be resolved. I still can't accept/make calls. Brand new phone. Terrible. Do not recommend Cricket.

I ordered a phone from Cricket on December 30th 2016 as a new customer. On January 3rd I was notified by UPS that Cricket requested the shipment to be sent back to them so I called Cricket to see why in the hell would they request the package to be sent back and these ** gonna tell me that it was something dealing with fraud with my card or address and I froze and was like "WHAT THE ** ARE YALL TALKING ABOUT, FRAUD HOW???"

THAT MAKES NO ** SENSE and they didn't even have an answer to that. All they can say was they was sorry and I told them they were ** stupid and should have never done that. So I told them I wanted my ** money back and they tell me it will take 3 to 5 days so I said "OK I'll wait" and then come the 5th day no refund so I called and another person told me it takes 7 to 10 days so I'm like "WHAT THE **, why did the last person tell me something different." And all Cricket said was "I'm sorry. I don't know why they would give you the wrong info."

So I got extremely mad and cussed them the ** out because it is ** ridiculous. So I hung up and called again and the last person told me it actually takes 15 days so after I heard that I just gave up and stop calling. Cricket has the worse and the dumbest customer service EVER. One customer service rep actually hung up on me on purpose when asking about my refund. They're very rude and they do not give a ** at all about your problems and they barely speak ** English. I will never EVER EVER do business with this fraudulent ** company ever again in my ** life.

7 days ago I ordered a SIM card, cost $10.69, to transfer my number from a different company over. I also paid a month of service which is $40. UPS said they left the order in the front door 6 days ago. However, I was supposed to sign for the order, which I never did. I called Cricket four times got transferred to four different departments, wasted 3 hours with no resolutions.

Cricket blame UPS for not letting me sign for the package and UPS advice to call Cricket for a refund. Cricket refused to refund the $10.69 for the lost SIM card or the $40 prepaid monthly service. If I can't have the chip I can't use their monthly service so my $40 is stolen. I asked to speak to a manager and I waited on the phone for 36 minutes then cricket hang up the phone. I just called my bank to dispute the charge from Cricket. I hope I can get my money back from this HORRIBLE company.

I just had very bad experience with Cricket Wireless and lost 60$ within a couple of hours activation trial. I have a new phone purchased elsewhere with a built in hotspot feature. I just need a service plan that can work with my hotspot in my phone. I checked both local store and online store. I was suggested to purchase the 50 dollars plan and give a try. If not working, I can just cancel. One local rep also told me it should work... I did online service plan order and tried to activate it, but the hotspot didn't work. I called customer service and wanted to cancel, but I was told Cricket didn't refund service plan.

After cycling several calls, one rep told me I could try dispute this charge with my credit card company. My TD bank credit card staff did open the dispute but told me very shortly that they regretted that they could not get the money back. I just lost 60 some dollars within a couple of hours of activation and a few button clicks. I feel I have been schemed. Don't trust Cricket Wireless. Be careful when you sign up service plan especially.

On January 7, 2017 - I went to a Cricket Wireless location to start service. WORST MISTAKE EVER!!! I received the free phone when I ported over from Metro PCS. However, the phone (Lumia 650) did not charge or work properly, it kept blacking out; I had to take out battery to restart phone just to shut it off again. I went in the next day to switch out the phone. The person went in the back and came out with another phone. This one not only did not charge as well; it also blacked out during phone call and I had to take out battery to reset phone. Instead of booting up properly it automatically started on Google with an open web page. How is that possible - the battery was out of the phone for 3 minutes.

When I went back to location at 10829 Olson Drive in Rancho Cordova CA. ** - the rep in charge at the time said that he could switch out the phone. He made all kinds of phone calls just to find one - on the 12 (mind you I was back at their store every day since purchase with issues with this phone) - the rep that was there that day said no I couldn't switch out phone. He even went so far as to call his manager ** whom I have never seen or met (I have been in store for over 2 to 3 hours a day since the 7th to get phone to work). ** told him "absolutely not - she must purchase a phone at full price, pay a reshelving fee of 25.00 for the defective phone, and pay another 40.00 for service fees for new phone."

Wait for it - I paid 40.00 on the 7th (I only had service for 5 days) - they refused to refund my money. They were adamant about keeping the 40.00 I already paid for in their back pockets and charge me another 40.00 on top of that for 1 month service for a phone that does not work. Here's the grand finale - 1-800-Cricket said I have a 7 day window for complete refund and that all locations are franchises so they do their own thing and do not follow company policies. I also informed the rep about that issue and he and his manager ** said "No way. That is not the way it works here with this company." So the grand total to get a working phone from Cricket would be 200.00. The phone listed as 99.99. I will find someone else.

Now, here is why when my service fees run out I will be quitting Cricket. They kept my SD card - it is missing since last time I was there. However, the phone I am using is stating that there is data on an SD card - there is none. He set up the cloud as auto save device. He did something, there is no SD card (pics gone) and it shows that the SD card is being used. I wonder what he did to the old phone. (Yes I am stuck using my piece of junk phone from Metro since Cricket refuses to give me a working phone.)

Now for the icing on the cake - My husband is a manager of a dealership. We are spreading the word about Cricket and that it is a living nightmare. If you value your sanity don't use this company. Maybe if I had done more research before switching over it would've stopped the heartache. There are other issues, but I think that the gist of it was stated. Poor service and they lie about everything.

I am so unhappy with Cricket switched over. First of all we have to have pin # to make a bridge payment. My phone was cut off. My friend tried to pay my bridge payment so they could get my phone turned on but wouldn't let her pay my bill because she didn't have my pin #. Then they are ripping customers off cause they charge a $20 for a bridge payment that used to keep your phone on for a week and then you would have to pay rest of bill on that 7th day or they would cut your phone off but you would still get that $20 toward your bill when you go in to pay it. Now when you pay bridge payment if you don't have it by the 6th day they cut your phone off and they keep your $20. Obviously if I'm only paying bridge payment I'm already having trouble coming up with my payment.

This month on the 6th day I had to put money on a prepaid credit card to pay bill cause store was already closed. When I called to give them card number they said the card was being declined. I was highly upset and couldn't figure out why. Well come to find out they charged me $5 to call in payment on credit card. Well my phone got cut off. I lost my bridge payment. So instead of my phone bill being $56 this month I paid $86. I have been with Cricket for 12 years and they couldn't give me one more day before they took my $20. I wish I could afford a deposit with another carrier cause I would drop cricket like a bad habit but that's the problem. They know people with credit problems and low paying jobs have no choice but to let cricket take advantage of us.

I switched to Cricket Wireless 5 days ago and have 2.5 gigs of data. Yesterday get a message saying used all my data up. I call customer service and ask them to explain to me how I used all my data when I am disabled and connected to my wifi at home. No clear answer from them. Tried to send some photos to my brother and they won't send. I look at my status bar and have no data. Call Cricket Wireless customer service and she pulls up my account and says I used up all my data and I have no data left. I questioned her about this and said unlimited data plan they are selling is not unlimited. She said that is correct. It limits you to the things you can do. So they do offer unlimited data!

The worse service provider out there. I've been with Cricket for 5 months now and haven't been able to have one good month of service. It seems like every month a tower is degraded. It causes for me to get bad calls and slow internet. I call all the time to customer service to complain and it's always the same process of refreshing my phone. They won't credit anything on to my account for the bad service but they sure take my $70 every month. I'm going back to Boost Mobile where I was for 12 years. Before I transferred to cricket I had $150 on my Boost Mobile account. Cricket offered to deposit that on to my Cricket account if I left boost. They only deposited $50. I called them asking for the rest of the money but they didn't have anything on file about that and that all that they are allowed to give is $50. So after I got screwed on that they continue to do it with the bad service. Cricket is a crooked company.

Buyer Beware! I paid $169 cash for the terrible ZTE Grand Max 2 and Cricket refuses to take it back. The phone has a severe firmware and software problem (see many reviews all over internet), that causes it to crash 50% of the time when I receive a call. Imagine having to call back everyone who calls, after waiting for the reset. Imagine if some of those calls are essential, like doctors calling you back, or a job interview. I dropped the phone and cracked the screen slightly. I did not make a claim on this as everyone knows no one covers screen repair.

The problems continued with the crashing and freezing because this phone has severe firmware and software issues. I called their warranty and customer service lines many, many times, including being persistent about getting a supervisor and a supervisor's supervisor, and they continued to stonewall on repair or replacement EVEN THOUGH THIS IS COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE SCREEN, and consumer laws and their own warranty state clearly that unrelated damages should be covered. This is like refusing to honor a drivetrain warranty in my car because of a scratch on the door. There's plenty of case law on exactly this issue and the law is clear that the firmware/software issue should be covered.

Cricket is a soulless company that doesn't care about its customers. I know, because I have been calling their reps and trying to find a solution for some time. Not only that, their offshore call center is notably undertrained, just following a rote script. If this is what has become of the once grand AT&T, I am very, very sad. If you plan to use a discount carrier, take my advice: Buy an unlocked phone from a dealer that will stand behind it, and leave the discount carrier the second they disappoint you.

When I asked to pay my phone bill I was charged $5 extra. Ok no big deal but I would like an explanation why. When I ask I'm told she will not take my payment due to this being the second run in with this employee. The district manager has done nothing and as my husband comes in to pay bill she's laughing on the phone with her boss about how she had treated me. Yes I did as I left told her she needs to learn how customer service works!!! I called the customer service # but knowing this company nothing will happen. Well we will see. If not, I will make this company known to anyone that will listen!! I would score you at a 0000000! Do not recommend!!!

Cricket Wireless is useless if you need customer service. I am a prior customer of 5 years. I tried contacting customer service both from the phone number posted on my credit card billing and the number provided on their website. Both numbers were not in service. I tried chatting but the chat was terminated by the service person before issue was resolved after they said they would leave chat open. I did another chat and that person just quoted the company party line and did not provide service or resolution. As result I am no longer a Cricket Wireless customer and do not recommend them.

Verizon revoked all unlimited plans recently. I chose Cricket because of prepay, sales guy assured me I will not be disappointed. It's really worst service ever, not even compare to Metro PCS. Was traveling from Chicago to Shayne WY, after to Denver CO, from Denver to South and North Dakota and back to Chicago. It took me 7 days, guess what... There was a phone service for about 18 hours in total. Beside that I faced problem with my device, Samsung Note 5, it stop to work properly like used to be, so took off simple card, connected via WiFi and my phone works with no problems. Don't even try this b.s. service.

Ordered and paid for 5 lines and 5 phones with Cricket. Cricket never shipped the phones. Cricket refused to fix the problem after they charged my credit card and promised 2 day ship. Never got the phones or service. Spent 5 days & 40 hours on the phone to no avail. Went to Cricket store. Called Cricket Corp store. No one would fix or escalate issue. Horrible customer service and no integrity or character with this company and employees. Cricket breaks all professional etiquette and laws and screw the customers.

I tried to get a second line added to my account. I attempted to have the number transferred 6 times with no success. Customer service has no clue what they are doing. My grandson was without a phone for over a week, dangerous situation. DO NOT USE CRICKET WIRELESS.

Compare Prepaid Phones