3.3/5 (780 ratings)

About Cricket Wireless

Cricket Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I decided against another lengthy commitment and, after some research, decided to give Cricket Wireless a chance. Cricket is a subsidiary of AT&T and having had service with the latter for many years, I knew what to expect as far as coverage, data speeds, etc. I wanted a flagship device which is not something offered by Cricket itself, but since they use the same SOC (System Operator Code, 89014) it is possible to use an AT&T device with Cricket service. I subscribe to the $60/month Unlimited Cricket More plan, using my AT&T Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.

I have used the service for over 6-months now and continually exceed the 22GB usage threshold. Many reviews I have read state that there are maximum download speeds which may be true on other plans, but not the aforementioned. I have never been "throttled" or slowed-down and get consistent LTE download speeds of 100-200Mbps and am able to stream full HD video. I am still in a 4G market as of writing this review but have noticed my phone switching between 4G/5G for the last few weeks and expect that 5G will be deployed soon. This plan is not for someone who is just going to do basic web-surfing, email, social media, etc., but for someone like myself who uses a large amount of mobile data and expects day 30 to be the same as day 1 of the billing cycle, the Unlimited Cricket More Plan is perfect...

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I've been with Cricket for a year in November and they've been a good company. I gave 5 stars because I've not had any issues with them. They have good service, they have hotspot data that you can replenish if you run out, they have the newer phones so you're not stuck with an older, cheaper phone but they also have cheaper phone options, you can bring an unlocked phone over without having to pay to register it, and there's much more. I've only had one issue with them last month, but aside from that, they've been amazing.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

After being gone from my residence for a couple weeks due to Domestic Tranquility issues and not having my phone with me. Rex, in the Fairmont shop, was a Magician. He was able to recover approx 90% of the apps I had been using. Like everyone else, my world was in my phone. Finances, contacts, my Calendar, etc. He was able to recover most of the data. At least enough for me to work with. I just happened to go to the Cricket shop when Rex was working. I don't believe anyone else would have been as understanding, willing to help, and compassionate given my situation. I would highly recommend this local Cricket Shop to anyone who needs help with a new phone or retrieving lost data due to whatever reason. Rex will be my "Go to" guy from now on!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I have had very few dropped calls within the ten plus years that I have been with Cricket. My monthly payment has never gone up, no hidden fees and no contracts. I don't use my phone the way most do, I am pretty simple and do not need a lot of data and their plans fit perfectly in my budget. They also have great plans that will fit in your budget if you use a lot of data, like my daughter. The phones they offer are good, but would be nice to see more of a variety. I have done some comparing with other mobile companies, and their phones that are the same brands are a lot less expensive. I have had no problems with the phones I have purchased through them. The only thing I do not like about them is I cannot block spam emails sent via text, only phone numbers.

Original review: July 31, 2021

If you are in the market for a cellular phone plan of any kind, I highly recommend you check out Cricket Wireless. Currently, their cheapest plan gives you unlimited calling, unlimited texting, and 2 GB of high speed data, all for $30/month. After you have used up your high speed data, it will be slowed down, but you will absolutely never be cut off. This is amazing because it ensures your phone will always be working 100% of the time no matter how much or little you use it. Cricket runs through AT&T's cellular network, so you get great coverage almost no matter where you are. There is also absolutely no contracts. You pay month to month and are able to cancel at any time you please. I have been using Cricket Wireless for over a year now and their service just keeps getting better and better.

Original review: May 20, 2022

A guy, sold me a $20.00 dollar, piece of junk, Cricket cell phone, at the cricket store, in Bulverde Texas, that as some problems with it, when I bought it 2 days ago, and a guy named Alex, that I talked to, that works in the cricket customer service department, told me on the phone, that I had 7 days, to return this defective cricket cell phone back, to the cricket store, I bought it from, if, I'm not satisfied, with it, I can get my money, back on it, but it's got to be at the same cricket store location, that I bought it from, so I took it back to the cricket store, that I bought it from, and all the sales lady, wanted to refund me back, on this defective cricket cell phone, return, is the price, I paid for this defective cell phone, not give me back, the $25.00 I was charged on, to have this cell phone activated, so I told the sales lady, at the cricket store, in Bulverde Texas location, to swap it out, for the same exact cricket cell phone.

And this same cell phone, is doing the same exact thing, as the other one, I return back to them, not working right, people, be smart, go to Walmart, Target, or other retail stores, that sell, cricket cell phones, you want get charge $25.00 dollars, for a activation fee, you can activate it, yourself, online, through cricket customer service, and for now on, I will not buy another cricket cell phone, in a cricket store again, because they will rip you off, and charge you $25.00 dollars, just to have your cricket cell phone, activate, just for, putting a battery in it, in the cricket sims card, on a defective cricket cell phone, they sold me, for $48.12, with activation, and State taxes.

With this total, of $48.12, on a cricket cell phone, that's no good, it's defective, in a piece of junk, no wonder, there were selling it, it so cheap, when the retail price, is $79.99 for it, they know, this cricket cell phone, is no good, and they ripped me off, pretty good, but they will never rip me off again, for now on, I will buy it, at a retail store, and not get charge, $25.00 dollars, to activate the cricket cell phone.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Texts don't download. Calls don't go through. Operators ALWAYS try to make you think it's your fault. TONS of wasted time calling 611 and being told "it's not a problem. You see, just call us and we'll fix it". I'm not supposed to have to call you every day. I am super frustrated with this very bad cell service.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I called customer service for help. My account had 2 lines. I wanted to separate them into to separate accounts and the guy had that was helping me I could hardly understand and he didn't understand English that good. He ended up cancelling the other line and had it turned off. I still have a few days left until I have to pay my bill. Why would I want it turned off? Doesn't make sense. Now they want me to pay to turn the line back on.

I tried to tell them this and they said they listen for some code that I told them. I said, "I don't even know a code. Why would I say a code?" Something about their computer listening for a code. I don't know what they're talking about 'cause this person that helping me also doesn't speak English that good so I said, "I'm cancelling my account 'cause you guys are not helping me" and they didn't care. I hope this helps people when making a decision to what company you choose. This Cricket Wireless sucks!

Original review: May 14, 2022

I think what Cricket Wireless does to customers is ridiculous and should be illegal!!!! They are a prepaid cell service but can charge a late fee. With every other single prepaid I've had never once was I charged a late fee the next morning. At&t prepaid-no late fee. Straight Talk prepaid- no late fee. Verizon prepaid- no late fee. Cricket wireless you are nothing but a crook!!!! 125 dollar phone bill paid 6 hours after midnight cost me 145 dollars. Which the late fee is only supposed to be 15. Don't add up. Plus it is unethical and should be illegal. I hope and pray there is a class action brought against you people and your stupid ridiculous fees.

Original review: May 4, 2022

The young man Ron at the Cricket store was absolutely wonderful to me on buying the best phone.!!! If you live in Memphis Tenn. You need to go to the Cricket store on Thomas St. and make sure you ask for Ron.!!!

Cricket Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.

• Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.

• Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.

• BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.

• Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.

Cricket Wireless Company Information