1.91/5
Based on 218 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1395 Cricket Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was formerly on AT&T and was able to reliably make and receive calls with very few issues. But AT&T was too expensive and I read that Cricket uses the same towers so figured I could switch to their service and save money with one of their pre-paid plans. After signing up with Cricket, bringing my own unlocked iPhone, and having my number ported over, when I got home, I discovered that I couldn't get a strong enough signal to make or receive calls from my house. Additionally, although I could send text messages, I could not receive the replies people were sending. I tested this with coworkers to confirm that was happening. I also was no longer able to stream Spotify.

I contacted Cricket customer service through their website and their support person tried to help me via their chat program by taking several troubleshooting measures and ultimately "refreshing my network". But, unfortunately, that did absolutely nothing to improve my reception. Cricket's coverage map reports being good to excellent in my area which is definitely false as I began to lose the signal even when blocks away from my house. While they're supposed to be using the same towers as AT&T, there is obviously a big difference as I could easily make and receive calls from my house with AT&T prior to the switch and could not at all once I went to Cricket. So anyone switching who expects the same reliability from Cricket as AT&T will be very disappointed.

As I don't have a landline and live alone, it's absolutely imperative that I have a working cell phone in case of emergencies. So once I saw that Cricket's tech support couldn't help me with my issue, I was forced to switch carriers again after only 4 days on Cricket. I'm now on a different discount carrier that uses a different network and my reception is much better so the problem was definitely with Cricket.

Aside from the fact that their offering is inferior, at least in my area, my primary complaint is with their policy of not issuing me any kind of refund whatsoever. I paid in advance for a full month of wireless service. I was never able to successfully use their network from my home. Although there is no contract, there is an implied understanding on the part of both parties when any agreement is entered into. I agree to pay them for cell service; they agree to deliver cell service -- not the concept of cell service, not the rumor of cell service, not the belief in the existence of cell service -- but actual, usable, cell service. That didn't happen and therefore, they didn't hold up their end of the bargain. I went into the Cricket store where I signed up and was told -- quite dismissively and disrespectfully -- that there's no way I'm getting any sort of refund for the unused days.

I understand that I legitimately should be billed for the 4 miserable, frustrating, and ultimately worthless days I was still on their network, but their service never worked for me, they didn't deliver what they promised, and I absolutely had to leave their network at the earliest opportunity. There should be some accommodation, if not a law, that protects consumers when the company can't deliver on what they promised even if it's a pre-paid plan.

It's not like they let you try it out first to see if it's going to work where you live. And, if they're truly using AT&T's towers, there's no reason you'd expect it not to work when it always did previously. Bottom line is, if it doesn't work, you should get a refund. So, I'm writing this to at least make others aware to avoid this company. Cricket may have a policy of no refunds even in the face of unacceptably bad service but I have a policy of making sure that companies who treat consumers that way are called out on it.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I do like the 4gb for 40.00 and get a 5.00 discount when enrolled in auto pay. But I don't like that it is necessary to dial the area code before each call even if calling local.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Cricket Wireless is perfect for me, in that, I spend $50 mo., for unlimited phone and data. Great reception; coverage; plans. I came across this plan after Defense Mobile decided to call it quits. Highly satisfied!

Original review: June 14, 2018

This is really great service for $25.00/month. The phone configuration is different from my previous phone and took some time to get used to, but at this price, I figured I could learn!

Original review: June 13, 2018

All the incentives to get started with this company were great. Then they just quit with rewards all together and service started going down hill. My bill is decently cheap but my service isn't awesome.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Original review: June 13, 2018

Paying $30/month for unlimited talk and texts and 2gb of data is a good deal. I was paying $35 for 5gb, but I don't need that much. I had to upgrade to the $50 plan for a trip to Canada, but I was able to switch back when I returned, so it was only extra for however many days I was there for. Unfortunately they have no service at all in Bermuda. They only have service in certain countries, so if you are taking a trip somewhere and want to have service, it could be a problem.

Original review: June 12, 2018

No plan to join. Auto pay saves you $5 a month. Cheapest plan available aside from corporate, senior deals. Great selection of phones and discounts on accessories when purchasing a new phone.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have been with Cricket for as long as I can remember and I thought I would upgrade my phone so I bought one on the Cricket website and when I got it I transferred my sim card and then put the phone together and they sent the wrong battery with the phone so I called customer service and was transferred to the warranty dept where I was told that someone from management would call me because this has happened a lot.

Well I transferred my sim card to the phone that has no battery so I asked how they were going to call me when my phone does not work, had to give them my daughter's number so then was told someone from management would call me in 24-48 weekday hrs. That was Saturday. Today is Monday. No call and still no phone. Paying for a service I cannot use. If they know this has been happening then why can't you just send me the right battery or a new phone kit. I have been thinking of adding two additional lines for my Son and Daughter in law but I am having second thoughts. I went to the corporate store and was treated rudely so I am thinking of switching service providers.

Original review: June 11, 2018

You don't have to have a contact and that's the best plan. I pay $77 dollars a month. Unlimited everything. Now their prices are a little high but it's at least it's your phone and if you leave there's no extra cost.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Went to a local Cricket Store to switch to their services with a active phone. The manager assured me that this something they could help me with. Paid for sim card, activation and plan and during the activation process they locked my phone. The store I originally purchased the phone from can't understand what they did. So, I have no phone, didn't offer any time of credit to my account and supposedly no longer eligible for a free phone even though this all happened within 24 hours. Also, called their corporate office and they wouldn't help either. Wouldn't recommend no one using their services.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I recently moved and discovered I did not have Wi-Fi dialing on my phone. I went back to Cricket to get a phone that had Wi-Fi dialing. Little did I know a month later I found out the phone I had was actually made Wi-Fi dialing able the same week I had to buy a new phone. Of course Cricket would not refund the money or take the phone back. They waste just as much money as AT&T and Sprint if you don't keep an eye on them. My coverage has been great until I moved into an area that has all kinds of problems with TV and cell phones. But besides that area coverage Cricket Wireless has been pretty good.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We are pleased with the Cricket service. We are paying less and getting more than we did with AT&T. The fact is that AT&T took over Cricket and so we have basically the same as we did with AT&T paying less.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Cricket is low cost, high value, good coverage. Good phones. Personnel are knowledgeable. Overall a good value which performs as advertised. Can't ask for more.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Love that Cricket Wireless covered where many carriers do not have coverage. Great price. Does say wifi not available but I hit back button it is fine. Good pics. Sometimes I touch my cheek on phone lost my call. Way to lock so does not do that but I have yet to figure it out.

Original review: June 7, 2018

For the money, Cricket Wireless (AT&T) is very good. Only when I get into rural areas does Verizon outperform Cricket. Customer Services seem to be all out of the country so it may be an issue with agents speaking English clearly.

Original review: June 6, 2018

When calling to discuss an error is the ported number, questioning how to fix it without canceling my order. They ported the incorrect number anyway, no phone was even shipped yet. So now I'm without any phone, they ported an important business number that yes was mistakenly inputted during the ordering process. But handled correctly they could have easily canceled the order and avoid this stress. Then hung up on me, waited to get on the phone with someone else, they flat out said my fault, um no, I have no phone here to ok the activation, this was a mistake on the CSR. They had me on the phone for 45 mins, with this excuse and that excuse and still again said it was all on me. Finally was able to reconnect the ported number and told them to take the Cricket phone and shove it up their **. Never have I ever as a CSR been told it was even close to ok to blame the customer...

Original review: June 6, 2018

Live in Cullman, Ak. The Cricket store is awesome and so very helpful. They take really good care of their customers and I GET AWESOME Coverage. LOVE MY Cricket.

Original review: June 5, 2018

After having Sprint, Verizon and AT&T I switched to Cricket. Never any issues. Always helpful. Amazing reception too. All the rest want to lock you into contracts and stick it to you! The only reason AT&T bought them was to try to buy out the competition. Just like Sprint is trying to do with T-Mobile. Corporate Greed at its finest. These companies are as bad as Big Pharmaceutical!!!

Original review: June 4, 2018

If you need customer care the wait time is very prompt. I almost never have any phone problems with service. Been a Cricket customer since I left Sprint years ago for poor overall service.

Original review: June 3, 2018

$30 a month, including fees and taxes for one line. I do Facebook, Twitter, shopping and news sites on a 5 year old Samsung Note 4. Everything works fine; no data caps or slowdowns that I'm aware of.

Original review: June 2, 2018

LTE Data plan is 60 dlr. 23GB high speed but it’s not fast as it used to be. Customer service and their retail stores are never in the same page when it comes to resolving issues.

Original review: June 2, 2018

When get calls from a landline the other person can't hear you after a while. When I'm in my place you can't get calls. If pick up phone call in my place it drops all the time.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I love my phone. I wish it had unlimited data though but no complaints. Don't get dropped calls and love the games that I downloaded. I love the Zello Walkie Talkie app because I can stay in touch with friends during hurricane season to make sure they are alright.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Cricket wireless service is really terrible, I purchased a new ZTE Blade X $129.00 plus screen protector, $15.00 plus case for phone, $15.00 plus various charges even though I have been a customer for over a year, no upgrade was offered, I purchased this unit on 4/28/18 today is 5/28/18 the phone no longer operates has a black screen or flickering screen, unit never did receive signal at my home after several calls to support, no improvement, finally today the phone no longer operates, but you can bet I am still paying for service... No real Warranty offering you can send in the phone to a claim center, as long as you pay for the full cost of the phone in the event "they" determine that your new purchase is "not covered"...

Additionally the terms state that if "they" determine that the phone is not covered no return of the deposit will occur, this is wrong folks... If the phone is covered you have to pay a deductible? We're talking about a defective phone... Where is the FTC, where is the DOJ, defective phones with no warranty? We need a Class Action Lawsuit...

Original review: May 24, 2018

Customer service is HORRIBLE! Your 5 min call will turn into a 5 hour call. You can't understand the agents, and they are so RUDE! They will hang up on you and block you from getting through after so many calls to them to resolve an issue or mistake on THEIR end. They do not care about their customers AT ALL.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I recently purchased a Cricket SIM card and am attempting to transfer my number from my old wireless provider (Metro PCS) to Cricket. I have been working on this for three days now... Day 1 - I purchased the Cricket BYOD SIM Kit and installed the SIM in my unlocked GSM phone with no problems, the SIM was immediately recognized by my phone, and I received an automated welcome message from Cricket. I went to the Cricket website and input the information they asked for in order to activate my phone and port my old number to my phone. This is going to be easy I thought... WRONG!

Day 2 - Still waiting for my number to port so, I checked the order number in their "Tracking System" and got a vague message saying my request to port my number had been "delayed". I checked back several times over the course of the day and evening and still got the same vague message simply stating that my request had been "delayed".

Day 3 - Still no number port and my phone still not working so, I found the Chat window on their Support page and explained my problem to "Ralph". After providing Ralph with my order number and some other info he requested, he told me that my Port Request had failed and that he would need to cancel my request and have me put in a new request. This was followed by another message from Ralph that said he was unable to cancel my request at that time and I should try back in a "few hours".

So... I waited a few hours til after lunch and tried their Chat window again. Amazingly, "Ralph" answered my chat request again. Once again I went through the same series of questions with him and provided him my Order Number. His response? He is still unable to cancel my failed request and I won't be able to enter another request until the current failed request has been cancelled... His final message to me before I signed off the chat window was "I request you to raise another Port Request". I would recommend that you stay away from this prepaid wireless provider.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Bought 4 phones in March 2017. One phone is not charging at all, tried 3 different chargers. Called warranty department. Was instructed to take the back of the phone off and check the expiration date of the battery. It is 2017-11-07. Which is my math is correct is 4 months prior to the purchase date of the phones. Went back to Cricket Dealer on Route 6, Scranton, they stated there was nothing they could do, that I had to call LG warranty department. The manager on duty even denied the fact that batteries have expiration dates, that I had to call LG.

Check 2 of the other phones, they also had either a Nov. or Dec. expiration date. (My brother-in-law has the 4th phone so I could not check that expiration date). Called customer service, all they would do is file a complaint against the store. Asked for a refund for the line I cannot use, was informed that service is nonrefundable. Went online to Cricket customer service chat, was informed that this is an issue with the store. There is nothing they could do to help. So, in short, bought 4 phones, with at least 3 of the phones having expired batteries months before purchase and the store has refused to help.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I've been a loyal customer for ever since I can remember. I upgraded to a new phone which didn't work three days after having bought it. Company refused to refund upgrade fee. I had just paid one month in advance and used services for less than a week when I found a better deal with another carrier. Cricket stated I forfeited the monthly payment and refused to credit me a total of $105. Loyalty means nothing as they didn't even try to get me to stay.

Original review: May 18, 2018

My husband phone was stolen on May 4th. He used my phone to report his phone stolen. Why some fool cut my phone off instead of my husband's phone. I called Cricket because when I log in to my account it says I reported my phone lost or stolen. I told them I did not. They said a company Asurion (phone replacement insurance company with Cricket) reported my phone stolen instead of my husband's. I have called every day since May 4th with no answers to why my service is suspended. Then had the nerve ask me to pay a $60 bill for a phone I cannot use. I have talked to Natalie, Sergio, Alejandro (the one I think made the mistake) Luis, and Shawn from Asurion.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Earlier today I walked into a Cricket Wireless store and wanted to transfer my current service to them. I was interested in the Galaxy S8 but they were out of stock, so the store manager told me to order the Galaxy S9 online because it was on sale and I would save money. Upon trying to complete my order for a new phone, phone number port, and service, my CitiCard fraud prevention sent me a text. I confirmed that the charge was intended and attempted to purchase the order again. All of a sudden my address was "wrong". No other excuse, just "wrong". After attempting to contact customer service via chat I received a 'tech support ticket number'.

I later received several calls from an unlisted number, which ended after half of a ring meaning I could not answer them. Upon calling Cricket Wireless customer service back directly I was sent on a wild goose chase until I talked to someone who "saw my tech support ticket" and told me I could not be transferred directly to tech support. Sounds sketchy, right? Apparently because my address was "wrong" their only suggestion was to 'use a different browser to attempt to complete my checkout.' Well, as of right now I'm sitting on top of FIVE pending transactions for 556 dollars. No thank you, if your supposed 'tech support' has menial suggestions like that I would very much prefer NOT to transfer to this service.

From my understanding of this situation, this company OBVIOUSLY doesn't want any new customers. Suits me fine, I ended up finding a comparable phone on Amazon and will be sticking with my current provider. All I can say is that these pending charges better clear and I hope never to hear from or have to deal with the most atrocious "customer support" I've ever encountered. If you are thinking of becoming a new customer here, I would suggest you look other places. It's not worth the headaches or hassle.

Cricket Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.

• Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.

• Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.

• BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.

• Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.

• Best for: Cricket Wireless is best for budget-conscious consumers, business owners and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs