Cricket Wireless

Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a new phone and subscribed to the service. This totaled $177. The phone came the next day and couldn't be activated. I tried calling customer service and could immediately see that this was the worst company I have ever dealt with. No ability to get the phone working properly. Customer service agents that tormented me for nearly two hours while I tried to get a refund. Now I am still on hold waiting for an agent to get me a return label for the phone. This is theft!! Do not use Cricket Wireless. The service agents are sadistic. They are refusing to refund my plan fee, telling me it was activated, while I keep telling them it was never successfully activated. Also, I read the agents pretend to be each other's supervisors. I experienced this as well along with hang ups. I just lost $177! How can this company still be stealing money from people like this after all of these reviews. I am not the only one who has experienced this obviously!!!

I paid my daughter's phone bill because she wound up being homeless with 2 toddlers and on the street. I needed to make sure I kept in touch with her. Cricket payment center applied the payment to the wrong acct. I called and was told they would not turn off her phone and they would correct the problem in 24 hrs. They turned her phone off! I called and spoke to a supervisor and he said they would turn it back on for another 70.00 which I could not come up with. This has been going on since 3/17/17... It's now been 4 days and they have not corrected the mistake... My child is in danger due to Cricket's negligence!

I have been getting harassed, with the number that was given to me, I have been getting calls from random people at all times of the day and night. I call Cricket to get my number changed for free since this has become an issue. I have had Metro and had this issue once a few years back, and they were able to change my number, no problem, with no fee...

I call Cricket, which is very similar to Metro... and they want a police report (which will take so much longer) and is very inconvenient... Or to pay a $15 fee, it's only $15 dollars but I was told by one of their representatives that the fee would be waived because it's harassment. They're not all on the same page. The Customer is always right and failing to notice this. I ask to talk to the manager, and here I am, on hold for almost 20 minutes now. Absolutely ridiculous. And of course they don't want to refund me my bill that I just paid today. I do NOT recommend this service to ANYONE. THE WORSE EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD WITH A PHONE COMPANY.

Thought I was doing a good thing by switching my husband and daughter's phones all to one company. Figured I chose Cricket and I get scammed out of money. I went in a store and call the main number to them and they told me my daughter's phone is comparable with their company. They didn't have the phones me and my husband wanted so I told the lady "if I ordered online would we have any problems? She asked me did I buy the phone from a Sprint store. I said "no. I bought It from a 5miles app. She said "Ok. I will be fine just buy a 'UNIVERSAL SIM'." Again I went to the store and called Cricket's main number to ask if I would have any problems they said "no buy a 'Universal' sim card kit and it will be fine." SMH.

I get home from work and ask my daughter why she has not been calling or texting. She tells me her phone is off. I spent two hours on the phone with Cricket begging for my own money back and nope I still don't have nothing and now my daughter is without a phone and Cricket tells me they can't do anything. Well so much for being a new customer. Now I'm out of money and my daughter is with no phone for me to get in contact with her when she was fine with Sprint but I had to go to scam artist like Cricket... Wow what a good way to treat new customers.

I spoke with 3 sups and two reps and 2 people said "ok I'll refund no problem" only to come back on the line to say never mind. When ask to even just credit my account the rep had the audacity to say she will credit me 5$. SMH. This is a bad business choice and I will never do it again. Beware of this low life A scammers... They told me my only option was to call my bank and tell them to refund me for the amount I paid for. For the third line now tell me what do I look like to tell my bank. I authorized a fraudulent payment and only want half back? That is crazy. Then the Cricket rep replied and said "don't worry. This happens all the time believe me. The bank will give you back your money." SMH. I bet it does happen all the time Cricket. I bet it does you scammer. #cricketsucks

I was not able to send out text messages. It kept saying "failed". Contacted Cricket Wireless multiple times and submitted 3 tickets to higher tech support team. It has been over a month now and they can't find what the issue is and kept closing the tickets. I complaint to their supervisor. Another ticket was submitted. Still the same, they can't find the issue. One of the rep. told me "We can't fix it. You can just cancel your service." I never had this issue with previous carriers. Cricket SUCKS. They don't care about their customers. I will give zero star if there is one. Horrible experience with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Cricket service is unstable at best! Continual service interruptions without billing adjustments. Cricket reps are ALL Mexicans with chips on their shoulders! I called to cancel a line of service and the Mexican rep refused to cancel the line. I requested a partial refund due to cancelling the line 10 after prepaying for the service. The rep was very rude and refused to credit my account.

I have experienced problems with Cricket for 5 months. I spent 100's of hours in the phone with Mexican reps that don't know anything, but how to make excuses and waste my time and money! I found Cricket reps to be racists and discriminating against me. I just spent $600 in their store to be treated like garbage! Consumer beware!!

On March 4, 2017, I purchased a cell phone for my grandson's 11th birthday. Before I had a chance to give him the phone his parents informed me that they had bought him a phone a few days before his birthday. March 12, 2017, I went back to the Cricket store to return the phone. I was told that they do not accept returns after 7 days, but they were willing to make an exception and allow me to return the phone. Then I was told that they would have to charge me a $25.00 re-stocking fee. I only paid $20.00 for the phone.

My complaint is, nowhere on the receipt do they disclose their return policy, or the stocking fee charge. I called customer service to complain, and they apologized for not disclosing this pertinent information on their receipts. I asked for the corporate phone number and was told by customer service that the number is not available. I was thinking about switching my phone service over to Cricket but have changed my mind. What else do they not disclose.

How the hell can you walk into a place that activates phones all day every day and ask if your phone is compatible and be told "YES" spend 2 hours with them charged 80.00 only to be told "no it's not compatible" and be told they CANT refund your 80.00!!! How the hell is this legal??? They said I should have known! Ok that's WHY I CAME TO ASK PROFESSIONALS!!! You can't tell me there isn't a way to know PRIOR to charging someone and then REFUSING their money!!

I was sold a phone by Cricket that was to have a Mobile Hotspot capability that I paid for in advance. The link was not available on my phone. I called up for assistance and the representatives were not knowledgeable. Talked to Samsung who manufactured the phone and they mentioned that the provider can lock Hotspot capability. After contacting Cricket about the phone and that it was not as advertised, they told me that I would have to return it that day with a deposit for $129 even though the phone only cost $19.99. Cricket customer service did nothing for the customer, no apology, no offer to send a replacement immediately, etc. even though what they advertised and sold was misrepresented and entirely their fault. Don't count on Cricket for anything. Steer clear of this company.

Don't work, only call and text, and I pay 60, 70 for service and plus paid for phone. This is a waste my time and money. I'd like a refund or money back. I want a better service. Thought I did but should stood with Metro.

I recently ran into some family issues and didn't pay my bill on time. I called to arrange a bridge payment and explained my situation to the supervisor. The supervisor I spoke to and the representative were very caring and understanding of my situation so they advised me they could help me out with the bridge payment by crediting my account half of what is required for the bridge payment and I pay the remainder. This all happened on a Sunday night so all Cricket Wireless retailers, and authorized stores were closed.

My only resort was to go to a payment center like Acme, Wal-Mart or CVS to make my half of the bridge payment. I contacted the first payment center ahead of time and explained what was going on. The employee advised me I should be fine making the payment there, but didn't explain that there is a FEE whenever you make payments at a payment center. This obviously wasn't the employee's fault but Cricket Customer Service because they didn't mention the fee once during the thirty minute phone call I had with them.

I ended up having to go to Wal-mart and spend money on a prepaid Visa since that was the cheapest option I had. I felt very relieved that I was finally going to be able to get this paid off so I called the customer service line and explained myself again to the Cricket rep so they can check the notes and credit the account. BUT, here's the BEST PART, the Cricket rep somehow couldn't credit the account and claimed that it's not possible to. Keep in mind that I was supposed to be on a bus to see my father in the hospital and had to cancel my trip to deal with this issue because I needed to have my phone reactivated before I left for familial, and work related reasons.

I was livid at this point because I was driving around town for over an hour and a half trying to get this issue resolved and had to cancel my trip because of this as well. I demanded to speak to a supervisor because I was told by the everyone of the reps before the last one that I would be credited on my bill. The rep puts me on hold for over 15 minutes then all of a sudden they hang up the call. I tried calling back immediately and it turns out they hung up on me on purpose because they close at 10:00 PM CST. The first rep advised me they're open until 12 AM but I was unaware of the fact that they're in another time zone.

At that point I was speechless at how they've been handling their customer service calls. I am going to call the next day to straighten this out and if they don't credit my account like they promised then I will make sure to write not only to Cricket corporate office in Atlanta, but to every single site I can review the company on along with spreading my experience with Cricket through social media.

I am joining the Army in a month which is why I switched to Cricket. I was just going to toss the phone and get a new plan with T-Mobile after I am finished with basic training, but because of what I've been through with Cricket I seriously, wholeheartedly REGRET switching to Cricket. I'll be sure to write a follow up here the moment I'm done dealing with them the next day, but I honestly do not recommend switching to Cricket unless you really have to which shouldn't be a problem for anyone out there because there are other prepaid services with much better rates and better customer service. Just like their parent company AT&T, Cricket FAILS to meet customer expectations!! STAY AWAY AT ALL COST.

My bill was due on the 20th Jan. On Jan 21st made a bridge payment. Called to the store #5113 & asked to have my ongoing payment every month come out on the 1st. She said, "Wait & then come in." OK I DID THAT. When I got there I paid my bill $47 +$5 activation fee =52 which it is now FEB 1ST. So that means I shouldn't have to pay again till MAR 1st. IT EVEN SAYS THIS ON THEIR AGREEMENT. And I still don't have it. They said if I don't pay by Feb 28thy by midnight my phone will be shut off!!! I AM SO UPSET OVER THIS. IT'S RIDICULOUS THEY CAN'T DO A SIMPLE PROCESS.

I would and have sent customers to Cricket for mobile service. They have great customer service, prices and are very helpful and no contract or hidden fees. I have been with them for 9 years and very satisfied and a happy customer.

My phone broke and when I chatted with Customer Service at Cricket, I was told that I couldn't transfer my old Cricket number to a new Cricket phone, so I got a new plan. They never cancelled my old plan, so I got billed for an account I can't use. When I contacted Customer Service again, he said that he couldn't find my old conversations, and that all fees are non-refundable, non-transferrable. I told him exactly what happened, and that they should have let me know that the old account was still active, or at least ask if I wanted to keep it, but nobody did. They never let me know that I was going to still be billed for a useless account, and refused to give me my money back.

I found Cricket's customer service is very sub-par. But, ultimately, fulfilled their obligation. It was very difficult to talk to someone who spoke anything close to even broken English. Warranty dept continued telling me phone issue was a Google problem, not the phone. Phone was reset and then would not accept my Google sign in. After several days (About 6) and 25-30 calls, I got lucky and spoke to an English speaker. Stated my issue, she immediately stated, 'sounds like the phone is broke, send it in'. She explained unless a virus was found, they would replace. I sent it in on a Friday & received, what appeared, a new replacement by Wed.

Took a while, but I am satisfied with end result. The coverage is better than I had with Verizon or Tmobile, similar to AT&T. The cost is very reasonable.

I have only been with Cricket for a little over a month. I have no bars half the time. I have to walk around the house to get bars. My wifi constantly kicks on by itself. The online service is slow as snail's and no i do not have the $30 low budget package. Their so called service technicians have no idea how to help you. Worst decision I've EVER made. Going back to Sprint.

The bridge payment is helpful for some to get an extra 7 days of service, but at the same time when you don't pay the other half of your bridge payment they make you pay the whole bill. I feel that is ripping people off why make me pay the whole bill instead of the remaining Balance. It's like I'm really paying $110.00 when I should be paying $42 then they say my bill cycle starts over. That should be revamp of how that bridge payment should be.

How many employees does it take to swap out a SIM card? No really, this is a serious question! Because amongst the three so-called experts that were working at the Cricket Wireless location in Crestview, Florida, on Wednesday, 02/15/2017, not a single one of them could figure it out. That is unless you count ramming it into the slot with reckless abandon, which was the store manager's (aka "Tattoo Nightmare") idea of a good way to handle my brand new phone that I purchased from a third party vendor for use with Cricket's services, rendering it broken and worthless.

Any responsible business that cares about their customers would offer up a replacement phone or at least an account credit for the inconvenience, right? Not so with Cricket. "There is nothing else we can do for you" is not an acceptable answer in today's competitive business environment, that coming from both store management and Cricket corporate clowns. I will NEVER use Cricket services again and I would recommend all wireless users searching for an inexpensive cell phone plan to shop elsewhere.

I would give them zero stars if I could. Dealing with their customer service team is the most grueling, mind-blowing experience I've ever had (and not in a good way). I've literally never met people so stupid! I made an online order on their website for a phone, and 15 minutes later found a better deal so I immediately called them to cancel my order. Not only did they still charge my credit card for the transaction 2 days later, but 10 days later the money is still not in my account, and I had to file a fraud claim through my bank.

I spent a total of 2 hours (3 separate phone calls, and 5 different people) trying to resolve the issue only to be told they thought the money was being refunded but weren't sure. When I double-checked this information with my bank, I found out this was a lie and there was no refund being processed. All I have to say is they are really dumb, super shady, or both. My bank's fraud dept is dealing with them, but I warn everyone to beware of this company and steer clear. The hassle just isn't worth it!

One year a Cricket customer, NEVER have been able to log in. I have called Cricket a half dozen times and gone into a store twice to just get a username and password to login online. No one with Cricket has successfully resolved this. Bottom line--IF YOU GO WITH CRICKET, KNOW THAT THEIR ONLINE WEBSITE HAS PROBLEMS.

I can't send and receive picture messages half the time. My phone says AT&T instead of Cricket. Half the time my 4g turns to h+ and I can't dial out a regular number. It always puts a+ in front and then tells me I'm not signed up for international calls.

I received a text today to do a brief survey on the service I have been provided. By Cricket. When they asked for my feedback I was happy to give it. Although it would not let me send the text. I have been a cricket customer for about 2 years. I had never needed customer service before the past week. So here is my feedback on my past weeks experience with cricket... Every time I try to log into my account I have to reset my password. Very inconvenient. I had one customer service person who was rude and interrupted me when I would try to answer questions he had asked me. I had another one not know how to help me. Another who couldn't help me activate the phone I ordered. The last one a very nice girl helped me. Told me to go to cricket.com/activate. I worked so fast. Why don't the other customer service people know that?

I tried to order 2 phones. The website would only let me order 1. I placed that order and went on to try to order another one since I wasn't able to order 2 at a time. It wouldn't let me order another one. The customer service guy didn't know why it wouldn't let me order an additional one. I figured it out and told him. Then when the phone came and after 8 phone calls I got it activated. 8. Because your prompts are an endless loop of entering your phone number. So pictured to order another phone. The website said my card is invalid. The same card I ordered the other phone with and my auto pay is on. So I was unable to order an additional phone. So over All cricket has been great for the last year until I needed customer service. Will NO longer recommend. Cricket to my friends or family.

Regardless of the poor reviews, I am rating Cricket a five star (so far). I have had the LG Stylo 2 for 6 weeks now and have had no problems whatsoever with coverage or the phone. I switched from AT&T because they use the same towers guaranteeing me the same coverage, and saving me $20 per month. And a new phone for very little.

I didn't mind paying the $25 activation fee in the store because the gentleman set up everything for me and transferred all my info from my Galaxy Note - I was aware that I would not be charged activation if I purchased the phone online but I would never purchase any electronics without trying it first. I use my phone for GPS, calls, texts, apps, games, emails & YouTube with no problem! Just a heads up, I do not do any streaming on my phone.

Log into my account needs to print a call log for the previous month to current. A rep. told me I had to have a subpoena order or a lawyer request. In order to obtain a copy because to protect my privacy??? Really... I am not hiring an attorney and not spending time in court. This is STUPID... I understand by protecting privacy but not from the own customer itself. Changed back to Boost. Way better.

I switched from Metro PCS to Cricket wireless over a year ago. Their customer service is awesome and the cell coverage is awesome. I will never switch my service. No fees, you pay same amount every month.

Pros - The service (signal coverage) provided by cricket is wonderful, AT&T's network has excellent coverage in my area. Cricket provides the option to bring your own phone... If you are considering cricket purchase an unlocked phone from ebay or amazon or direct and then bring it to cricket... DO NOT BUY A PHONE FROM CRICKET!!! READ BELOW. The pricing at cricket is unbeatable.

Cons - The customer service is horrible. Cricket has a 7 day (6 days, date of purchase counts against you) return policy, after that you are sold. Cricket does not stand behind its products... I purchased a ZTE Grand max x 2. This phone is horrible it constantly freezes and crashes. Cricket provides a warranty service for 1 year, so I sent in the phone. They sent me a replacement. Well the replacement sucks too. Not only does the replacement exhibit the same problems but they placed it in a bubble wrap sleeve and put it in a box. That's the only protection they provided for shipping... so they obviously don't care about the product.

The customer service representatives in the store need serious attitude adjustments, they do not make you feel welcome nor care about any complaints you have. I'm currently stuck with a "$150 dollar phone" (yes it's in quotes because it isn't worth $5 bucks in my opinion...). I'll be using an unlocking service and selling this phone... hopefully to recuperate some of my loss. I have chosen to stick with cricket even if the customer service and products they sell are complete trash solely because the prices provided can't be beat... But I strongly advise everyone to BRING YOUR OWN PHONE!!!

Cricket has the worst customer service EVER!!! The reps barely speak English and you have to repeat yourself a million times to still not get anywhere. They tell you one thing then change when you call back. The managers are customer service reps pretending to be a manager. My son broke his phone and they will not allow me to cancel his line without making a full payment?? Why would I pay for a phone that cannot be used? I'd rather go back to Metro with not so great service but has really good customer service than stay with Cricket that has a decent service and HORRIBLE customer service. I don't think no one cared when I told them that they're losing two customers. So sad, so sad!

Cricket is probably one of the best Wireless companies out there. They are owned by AT&T so Cricket works on their towers. Been to Mexico and get 5 bars. Pricing is very reasonable as well. If you do autopay they knock off $5.00 a month. I have $50 plan, just bumped me up from 5gb data to 8 a month and I pay $45... Awesome!

I have 5 phones with Cricket Wireless and when I went in to my local Cricket store to pay my bill I asked to upgrade my account. After upgrading I asked to pay my bill and I did so with my debit card. When I woke the next day I realized my phone and all my children's phones were turned off. I contacted customer service and asked, "Why my phones are off when I paid my phone bill in full?" I was directed to a supervisor Mazzie that informed me that I was not charged for my 9.99 upgrade and that even though it was the employee's fault that the correct amount was not charged. When I swiped my card my service was suspended. I informed her that "Fine you can remove the upgrade since I have yet to receive anything and you have cut off all my phones even when a hundred and twenty dollars and change was paid yesterday."

Mazzie informed me that NO CHANGES could be made while my account was suspended so I would have to now pay for a upgrade I no longer wanted (because I was angry and did not want to give them anything more) before my phone lines would be working!!! I asked for someone higher Mazzie's boss and was informed that no one higher takes calls! She informed me that she did not have to give me a employee number or a last name and that there was no one that would care to help me that was higher up than her.

I paid the 9.99 because it was the only way to get my lines that I had already paid for back on and then again asked that "Now that my phones are not suspended can I speak to someone else?" and she informed me that no she was it and if I had a problem with the 9.99 upgrade that I could take it up with my bank. I now see why Cricket Wireless is affordable. Because they do not care about their customers they only take our money and refuse to even speak with their customers when there is a problem that was wrong and not of their doing! When someone representing your company does something wrong you should be able to have it fixed!!!

I have tried over several times to change the date my auto pay bill will be charged to my account. I keep calling but they keep telling me what day I should call back to have change process because of some bull about their billing system. So last January on the 11th, 2017 I called and it was confirmed that they will start autopay on the 9th instead of the 7th. I originally asked for the 10th because I get paid and have direct deposit on the 10th but since my account is posted on the 9th, I didn't mind.

Well to make my story short, this morning (Feb 6th at 9:10 a.m.) I received an automated text reminder that they will be taking $65 from account tomorrow. Immediately, I called Cricket (611) on my cell only to go through hours of bull and run arounds with the first representative only to hung up on me. I asked them since they claim they record the conversations, they needed to review the recording.

The funny thing is before this lady hung up, she repeated what notes the last person I spoke with back in January and clearly it said to be taken out on the 9th and yet she continues to tell me repeatedly that I need to call them back on the 11th of this month because some crap about their billing. So she hung up and tried to block my calls. I finally got through after six attempts or so to be told by another lady the same garbage the first one told me. So now I am back to square one, they will try to take money from my account tomorrow when I do not get paid until the 10th.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.
  • Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.
  • Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.
  • BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.
  • Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.
  • Best for Cricket Wireless is best for budget-conscious consumers, business owners and parents.

Compare Prepaid Phones