1.92/5
Based on 203 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1420 Cricket Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I hate their customer service. They stole money from me during the bridge pay. I went to pay the remainder balance and the system was down. They basically said I lied and kept my money. I hate the out of country customer service. They absolutely don't care about the customer. I will be leaving and talking everyone I know to never go with Cricket.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I was convinced by my parents and by the price to switch from Sprint to Cricket. It was the worst mistake I could have made. Even with their top plan, and it saying the area where I'm in has great coverage, a good phone (not cheap) the services is slow. I'm in sales, and can't use my phone at work... Just great.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have been told so many different things. I got a refurbished phone in April that has not worked since. And the supervisors do absolutely nothing. I have no cell service and have been told I have to upgrade my phone... or I need a new Sim card and that I have to pay for it. The cell towers are down. "I am sorry Ms **... Let me send a signal to your phone again."

And I don't know why your apps don't work right. I was even deceived by a supervisor that said I could go to a store and he would call me and talk to the clerk behind the counter about my phone and I took time out of my day to go and he never called, so I called and got a whole different story about why my phone is not working. I am so disappointed that not one person can help me, without my spending more money. Or the deception and lack of service! And it's all recorded eh? Can we play it back? I would love to hear the bs.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have had this phone service for 3 years on this account. I have never complained when my 4g was not working or I had a phone on my account turned off and they did not immediately take it off my account. I was charged for the next month. I just set up a bridge pay payment where I had my bill split into 2 payments. When I went to pay my last payment we had bad storms with hail and I could not get on the internet nor use my phone because of these storms. I called the very next morning to pay the remaining balance and they wanted to charge me my full bill $107 again instead of the payment of $67.

I have been a customer for years and never complained. The first representative I spoke with spoke with her supervisor and was going to adjust my payment so the representative was in the process of transferring me to have this done and I was disconnected. When I called back and finally got to speak to another supervisor he said he was not going to help me. I went thru the whole conversation with what was going to happen but the phone was disconnected me on transfer and he then told me he was not going to help me and it did not matter how long I had been a customer. I have had it with this company, the customer service sucks and they do not care on taking care of their customers!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

It's more like dial up than anything. For those youngsters unfamiliar with dial up, imagine this: You pull a your favorite frozen pizza out of the freezer (because we all love a good frozen pizza) and placing it on a pan in the sun and waiting for it to cook. Yeah, it's that slow. I drive a lot of work. I'd love to listen to Pandora or iHeart Radio or any other app that provides audio satisfaction. But, instead... I get to watch my screen as it buffers more often than not. Full bars, and LTE... still can't listen to an entire Bon Seger song without buffering. As far as cell coverage goes... Don't go down a hill or into a building either. You won't be able to load pictures on any social media app. Nor will your phone receive any calls. I regret making the change to Cricket. I'll be going back to my previous provider ASAP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cricket Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I purchased a Motorola phone and Cricket prepaid services. Within 3 weeks the phone had a software issue confirmed by the Cricket store manager in Latrobe, PA. I refused to pay shipping charges to return something I did not damage--it was a defective phone. Kim the store manager told me Motorola would release a new phone when they could confirm the phone was shipped using their shipping label. Which it was.

After having no phone service for 5 days I stopped at the Latrobe Cricket store. Kim insists it is all my fault because I refused to pay for shipping. She told me to call Cricket and Motorola which I did. The Motorola rep confirmed through FedEx that it was shipped but never received--still in a pending status. Furthermore they stressed that they would not release a new phone under their warranty policy until 3-5 business days after receiving it. I insisted on a new phone from the store because I need a phone and have no to other to use to get updates on my grandson who was born premature and life-flighted to Children's Hospital. Also I have a critically ill sister and elderly mother to check on. Can you live without a phone for weeks?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I called customer to find where a payment that I had thru their phone pay system that had not posted to my account. I gave my credit card number and amount. They said they see the payment. It was posted to the wrong account by one digit. I said, “Great. Please move the payment to my account”. The rep told me no. That they cannot remove money from another customers account even if the payment was made in error. They acknowledged the error! BUT REFUSED TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM! I asked them to reject the payment, cancel the transaction, or call the other customer to get their ok to move my money off of their account. THEY AGAIN REFUSED! They said it's a privacy issue. I asked them how was my money applied to another persons account without that customers permission. They didn't have an answer.

The phone service is great. Calls are clear and my bill is low. But whenever I have a problem and I have to dial 611, IT IS A NIGHTMARE!! Yes, I called my bank. I can't claim my card was stolen. I pay Cricket every month. I told my bank. They that Cricket needs to cancel the payment but would start an investigation. It's been Four Days. My money is still not in my bank account.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

It's the end of the day on a Monday, I started to try as and order 2 phones and the required data plan. I started on my PC I got that I entered the wrong address. After calling the bank after I talked to Cricket with them saying it was my bank my bank says no it was their system reversing the transaction before the bank could approve it! I called Cricket again and they keep saying it's the bank, I found that they were in Facebook so I wrote them there. They responded to please try again and tell them at what time I tried so I did that and posted what they wanted. Well it's now been days and I've posted like 5 times. No answer, found their forum and posted on that with no answer.

I called and talked to a manager who said just go down to a store and pay the $50 bucks to activate that I would not have to pay if their system worked! I've tried again on 2 different phone and the PC using two totally different cards and two different addresses. Still the same thing and they seemed to care less. Now the promo ends today so I can no longer even get the phones we wanted. What a waste of many hours and they could care less. Just a warning to anyone thinking of using their service, go to Metro PCS where you can make payments on the phone. Can't imagine how many people they have lost! I am a web developer and could have fixed this in 5 minutes!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I signed up for and purchased a phone from Cricket Wireless at the Miller Hill Mall location in Duluth Minnesota. One month had lapsed and I paid in full to reactivate the account and for another month of service. All of a sudden the phone did not work. I was told there was a problem with the sim card possibly and was online with an agent for 2 hours to get the issue resolved.

It never was and I was left hanging with the only suggestion to go back to the mall and have the phone tested and if it did not work to repurchase a new sim card or a new phone or both. It had been only two months since signing up and no warranty was offered at the sale point and no other options given. I was left hanging and the technical support/expertise was more than lacking when on the phone with them two hours. So, I paid a total of 90$ for one month worth of phone service and a defective phone. Never received any feedback or follow up about the issue. It was not in my budget to repurchase a new device or component for it.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Selling defective phones - Cannot update Android systems due to defective programmer of the phone's internal system. Now causing malware to disrupt apps and most apps not responding because of the old OS in place. Phone is updatable according to manufacture and Cricket site but phone rejects all updates. No customer service can fix the problem. Phone for three years kept responding no updates from. Found out there are several.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Cricket knew the ZTE Grand X Max 2 phone had issues. They only stand by the warranty for one year. I spent $239 for this phone two years ago. I take great care of my phone and have been a loyal customer. The camera and gallery functions stop working. Rep. At the store spent 2 hours trying troubleshoot. She gave me customer service number. Said they would warrant this phone due to all the issues. She was aware it was almost two years old. Called and was told one year warranty only. I'm not someone who can afford to buy a new phone every two years. Seems that is how long these phones seem to last. What a scam. The company will not stand by the products they sell.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have had a Cricket phone for two years and planned to give the phone to a person in need so that they could use it for work. The phone has been used on wifi as I have only needed the phone for one month. I called customer service for assistance as I was directed to do so by the website. Customer service had me on the line over 45 minutes and still did not help me. I need a Network Unlock Code to give the phone to another person BUT because I did not have my phone on Network for a minimum of 6 months customer service would not fulfill my request for the unlock code. So even though I purchased this phone at full price I am unable to use my phone with any other network other than Cricket or gift it to someone in need. So I do not actually have control over my own phone.

Cricket customer service states that this rule is on the website and that I agreed to the terms. The only location for this rule is on a page when you request to transfer the phone and the manager was unable to find any proof that I signed this ridiculous rule. Be warned, now you know that there is a rule for this, do not purchase from Cricket!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Cricket Wireless is a scam! They do not have the same service as AT&T. They claim to be the same; however, after you switch and sign the contract that says you accept the service, you find out that when you get home and you have no service, you just gave your money away. Internet scams; yeah you get what you pay for. However, when a service representative states that it’s the same coverage as AT&T, what we currently had, and that we are making a wise decision to switch over to Cricket because the monthly charge is $40 less, they are lying!

We switched, when we returned home, less than 25 miles, and no service. I spent more than 3.5 hours on the phone with Cricket service techs during the next two days. Switched my phone off more than 18 times, only to have them tell me we'll move it up the technician chain. After two days we asked for refund because they couldn’t provide service. You would think they would have said, "Sorry, it’s on us, here's your refund." Nope!!! $150 dollars. Nope! Spoke to 4 service representatives all stating the same thing. I’m not sure I was speaking with anyone in the US. I had to ask them to repeat themselves many times. Granted, this was after 8 pm at night. The last one said, "Why don't you dispute it with your Costco Citi card that you made the purchase with." Great Idea, thank you, you have been most helpful.

Why didn’t I just do that? Clearly a credit company that I do thousands of dollars of business with each year would choose to protect my rights after seeing that I disputed this charge 2 days after I enlisted this business. Hmmm, maybe they don’t care about the customers they have??? Costco Citi Card looks over the information and observes that the store gave me credit for two sim card activations, yes, after two days of no service, but refutes my dispute. Cricket supplies them with their written contract, but they have no integrity and cannot back up their ethical service contract. Costco Citi card gives Cricket the money and notifies me 10 days later of their decision.

This is a great example of predatory gimmicks, Cricket Wireless preys upon us, those who feel like $150 a month is too much for poor cell service, only to find out that you can be misled and guided to pay $$$ for no cell phone service. Why is it that this can happen on a daily basis? Where is the integrity in our salespeople, why is lying so prevalent? How can so many people work for a company that doesn’t have the best interest of their clients? Is it greed or complacency?

Original review: July 25, 2018

I changed cell service companies the DAY my payment transferred/occurred and Cricket STILL accepted it. I went to my bank and saw it and US Cellular ported my number and told me Cricket knew I changed companies. Cricket's Cancellation Policy is to STOP paying and in 2 months your service would be suspended. Why would I want to ruin my credit that way! They encourage auto pay and even offer a discount. I don't think it's right to accept a payment knowing a customer ended service with them. I live .7 mile outside of their service area - this was checked when I checked into their program or mentioned. I was only allowed to make Emergency calls from my home with Cricket - this is unacceptable. Now I'm out $62.00! Buyer beware!

Original review: July 20, 2018

Trying to do a online chat with Cricket Wireless just kept sending me back to the home page. After I had 9 webpages open, I gave up and called. Then I got a support person who didn't know what she was talking about, extremely frustrating. The back and forth with her was like a catch 22. I will go to the store to see if I can get better service there.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The other day my Cricket phone bill was paid via auto pay. The same day the battery in my Cricket phone completely died (it was only a year old). I went to the Cricket store and was told that Cricket doesn't sell batteries but was given a laundry list of stores that might. After putting 83 miles on my car and still with no battery I decided to switch to a different provider and when I arrived home with my new working phone I called Cricket to see about getting my money back and the first customer service rep I spoke with said I would need to go to my bank and have them dispute the charge.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and when he got on the phone he said, (exact words) “Cricket is not a company that does refunds.” So I asked him that Cricket has my money for a service they are not going to provide and he said yes. Are you kidding me, it's as if a robber stuck a gun in my face and while smiling just took my money. This can't be legal and I will be looking into it. Cricket is a thief. Plain and simple.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I had just paid my bill which was 152 dollars and they cut my phone off today talking about a chargeback and have to another 123 dollars. They are full of ** and take your money. I'm switching today from this Cricket company.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have been a customer of Cricket Wireless. Am faithful every month plus brought numerous people to them. After 3 years I am experiencing a hard situation with a domestic partner. Resulting in my phones being stolen, my home, money and so forth. My son who is 15 was trying to suspend my 3 other lines and pay the 50 for mine. I’m assuming that he really didn't understand how to and did a BridgePay. Which they took 50 buck out. A week later no service. When I called they broke down what BridgePay was and I assured them he must misread it. At this point they want another 100 and said they couldn't give me a one to forgiveness. With that being said let’s not forget I have a PFA living in woods and have 2 kids to keep safe. I know this isn’t their problem but shouldn’t being a good customer and bringing numerous people to them account for something. No it doesn't.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Dishonest company with hidden fees and the worst terrible service in the history of the wireless business. False advertising in their small print and fees, fees, fees. Don't even bother. I purchased a prepaid phone to use a few times a year and they informed me after activation that they charge an additional cancellation and reinstallation fee if I don't buy monthly cards to keep service going every month. No mention of this in the fine print of the card or with the phone and associate I purchased it from assured me this wasn't the case. The company refused to deactivate the card 60 seconds after we learned of this.

Original review: July 6, 2018

When trying to add a second line for my wife, the order went through, then was canceled. I tried to contact customer support, but there was no way to get a hold of a live person, so I tried chatting. They were unable to tell me why the order was canceled, other than they "couldn't verify my information". I told them I had just upgraded my phone two weeks before, and everything was fine then. They told me to place the order again. I did, and it was canceled again. So I tried again, with no luck, to find a real person, and then did the online chat again. They recommended I go to a Cricket store. Thanks a lot Cricket, I'm a disabled vet with no vehicle, and their nearest store is about 60 miles away. Unfortunately I'm stuck with them or AT&T because of my location, but I recommend anyone else, if you have a choice.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Happy with Cricket Wireless. 2 GIG for $ 30.00 is all I need. I use very little data when on the road. At home I use WI-FI. Have an LG Fortune works well, but the phones is larger size than I wanted, but needed 16 GIG. This was the best deal. Got the phone for free by switching my number. Have great coverage almost everywhere... Switched on 2/23/2018. I had T-Mobile for voice and text only for $ 25.00 per month. Their lowest prepay plan was $ 50.00 per month. Not going to spend that much for what little data I use. I use about 1.6 GIG per month.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Love Cricket Wireless. We have had them for over 6 years now and I would never switch to anyone else. We always have service no matter where we travel. We have 4 lines on our plan and we all get unlimited talk text and data and my total bill a month is $100. They always have the newest phones the moment they come out. But customer service when you call the 1800 number is not the best. But don't be discouraged if you call the local store near you the customer service is great! It's a wonderful company.

Original review: June 27, 2018

OMG you guys! This customer service phone representative lady named Shaun or Shawn... I can't begin to tell you how helpful she was! She spoke through the phone with so much comfort in her tone. Assuring me that everything was going to be fine, and what I needed was going to get done. It was like being on the phone with a good friend. I hope her boss/supervisor or manager sees this and gives her a raise or promotion because she deserves it! Thank you once again Shaun (or Shawn)!

Original review: June 24, 2018

As much as Cricket says that they will support user devices that are non Cricket devices, moment there is an issue, they will blame the device. In my case text messages were not going through for certain numbers, changed SIM, swapped devices, used Cricket provided devices and spent numerous hours with support, Cricket kept on blaming the device and was not interested in a resolution. They kept telling me that I need to go to a store, even after telling them numerous times that we had been to the store and have tried swapping SIM with a Cricket device. Time to switch. Hope this incident helps others that are planning to switch to Cricket Wireless, yes it's cheap but there is a reason too. Service is horrible and basic functionality does not work.

Original review: June 23, 2018

This company is not helpful to their customers at all. I am leaving their service due to their lack of concern for the customer lousy service and the fact that they turn your service off at a drop of a dime even when you paid for your service already and try to collect additional fees on top of your bill is ** and I'm done. I would NEVER RECOMMEND THIS CARRIER TO ANYONE. I signed up with a new carrier. CRICKET WIRELESS SUCKS!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was formerly on AT&T and was able to reliably make and receive calls with very few issues. But AT&T was too expensive and I read that Cricket uses the same towers so figured I could switch to their service and save money with one of their pre-paid plans. After signing up with Cricket, bringing my own unlocked iPhone, and having my number ported over, when I got home, I discovered that I couldn't get a strong enough signal to make or receive calls from my house. Additionally, although I could send text messages, I could not receive the replies people were sending. I tested this with coworkers to confirm that was happening. I also was no longer able to stream Spotify.

I contacted Cricket customer service through their website and their support person tried to help me via their chat program by taking several troubleshooting measures and ultimately "refreshing my network". But, unfortunately, that did absolutely nothing to improve my reception. Cricket's coverage map reports being good to excellent in my area which is definitely false as I began to lose the signal even when blocks away from my house. While they're supposed to be using the same towers as AT&T, there is obviously a big difference as I could easily make and receive calls from my house with AT&T prior to the switch and could not at all once I went to Cricket. So anyone switching who expects the same reliability from Cricket as AT&T will be very disappointed.

As I don't have a landline and live alone, it's absolutely imperative that I have a working cell phone in case of emergencies. So once I saw that Cricket's tech support couldn't help me with my issue, I was forced to switch carriers again after only 4 days on Cricket. I'm now on a different discount carrier that uses a different network and my reception is much better so the problem was definitely with Cricket.

Aside from the fact that their offering is inferior, at least in my area, my primary complaint is with their policy of not issuing me any kind of refund whatsoever. I paid in advance for a full month of wireless service. I was never able to successfully use their network from my home. Although there is no contract, there is an implied understanding on the part of both parties when any agreement is entered into. I agree to pay them for cell service; they agree to deliver cell service -- not the concept of cell service, not the rumor of cell service, not the belief in the existence of cell service -- but actual, usable, cell service. That didn't happen and therefore, they didn't hold up their end of the bargain. I went into the Cricket store where I signed up and was told -- quite dismissively and disrespectfully -- that there's no way I'm getting any sort of refund for the unused days.

I understand that I legitimately should be billed for the 4 miserable, frustrating, and ultimately worthless days I was still on their network, but their service never worked for me, they didn't deliver what they promised, and I absolutely had to leave their network at the earliest opportunity. There should be some accommodation, if not a law, that protects consumers when the company can't deliver on what they promised even if it's a pre-paid plan.

It's not like they let you try it out first to see if it's going to work where you live. And, if they're truly using AT&T's towers, there's no reason you'd expect it not to work when it always did previously. Bottom line is, if it doesn't work, you should get a refund. So, I'm writing this to at least make others aware to avoid this company. Cricket may have a policy of no refunds even in the face of unacceptably bad service but I have a policy of making sure that companies who treat consumers that way are called out on it.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I do like the 4gb for 40.00 and get a 5.00 discount when enrolled in auto pay. But I don't like that it is necessary to dial the area code before each call even if calling local.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Cricket Wireless is perfect for me, in that, I spend $50 mo., for unlimited phone and data. Great reception; coverage; plans. I came across this plan after Defense Mobile decided to call it quits. Highly satisfied!

Original review: June 14, 2018

This is really great service for $25.00/month. The phone configuration is different from my previous phone and took some time to get used to, but at this price, I figured I could learn!

Original review: June 13, 2018

All the incentives to get started with this company were great. Then they just quit with rewards all together and service started going down hill. My bill is decently cheap but my service isn't awesome.

Cricket Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Cricket Wireless was founded in 1999 and became a subsidiary of AT&T in 2014. It offers only prepaid unlimited plans and has over 5 million customers.

• Coverage: Cricket Wireless offers 4G LTE across most of the United States. Interested consumers can see a coverage map on the company’s website.

• Rewards: Cricket Wireless customers can sign up for mPLUS rewards and earn points for downloading apps, playing games and other activities. Rewards points can be used to purchase gifts cards and other merchandise as well as to make charitable donations.

• Plans: Interested consumers can choose from multiple plans from Cricket Wireless. Plans are available for basic mobile devices and smartphones. All plans have unlimited talk and text, and some have unlimited data access.

• BridgePay: Cricket Wireless offers consumers the chance to break their monthly payments into two bills when they need to do so with the BridgePay program. Customers may use this program as frequently as once per billing cycle.

• Free phones: Cricket offers new customers new phones at discounted prices when they switch from another carrier. Phone types and discounts vary, so consumers should check the company’s website for the most recent offers.

• Best for: Cricket Wireless is best for budget-conscious consumers, business owners and parents.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Cricket Wireless Company Information

www.cricketwireless.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business