1.7/5 (11 ratings)

About US Mobile

US Mobile is a cellphone carrier with prepaid plans and no contracts. You can choose from various plans, including unlimited talk, text and data plans, or a build-your-own-plan option. You can also switch from a different provider and use your existing phone and number by ordering US Mobile’s $3.99 SIM Starter Kit. US Mobile has 5G and 4G LTE coverage and gives you a 14-day risk-free trial. Customer service is available 24/7 by phone or chat.

Pros

• Affordable, no-contract plans
  • Use your existing phone and number
  • 5G service where available
  • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Online presence only
  • Unused base plan doesn’t roll over

Bottom Line

US Mobile offers prepaid, contract-free cellphone plans that let you use your existing device and number. Choose a plan or build your own. Its networks cover 99% of Americans. You can try a plan risk-free for up to 14 days.

What is US Mobile?

US Mobile is a cellphone service provider with pay-as-you-go plans and no contracts. Customers can choose from talk, text and data plans that cost as little as $6 per line per month or customize a plan for as little as $4 a month. You can change a plan or cancel it anytime. Use your existing cellphone and phone number with the US Mobile Starter Kit, or buy a phone from US Mobile’s online store.

US Mobile doesn’t have physical locations or sell its products in stores. You can sign up for service online and speak to customer support by phone or chat 24/7. Plans include a 14-day risk-free trial: If you are not happy with your plan, you can get a refund.

How does US Mobile work?

US Mobile is a prepaid cellphone service. There are no contracts; customers pay ahead for 30 days of service based on the plan they choose. After 30 days, you can renew your plan, choose a new one or cancel.

US Mobile says it’s easy to switch from another carrier. If you want to keep your phone and number, you can purchase the US Mobile Starter Kit and change your service in as little as two minutes (as long as you have an unlocked phone with a SIM card slot). You can also purchase a phone from US Mobile’s online store.

Once you sign up for US Mobile service, you have access to a dashboard where you can manage your phone lines and track your usage. If you’re running out of minutes, texts or data before your plan ends, you can add “Top Ups.”

US Mobile plans

US Mobile has plan options for individuals, families, businesses and more. You can choose either a specific plan or design your own.

Plans types include:

• Unlimited talk and text
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 1 GB of data
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 5 GB of data
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 12 GB of data
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 18 GB of data
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 30 GB of data
  • Unlimited All, with unlimited talk, text and data
  • Build-your-own plan, with custom numbers of minutes and text and data amount

US Mobile also offers shared data plans for multiple devices, with each line getting unlimited talk and text. International roaming plans are available as well.

US Mobile pricing

US Mobile charges the following monthly prices for its plans:

• Unlimited talk and text: $8 for one line, $7 each for two lines and $6 each for three or more lines
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 1 GB of data: $12
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 5 GB of data: $15
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 12 GB of data: $20
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 18 GB of data: $25
  • Unlimited talk and text plus 30 GB of data: $30
  • Unlimited All, with unlimited talk, text and data: $45 for one line, $30 each for two lines and $25 each for three or more lines
  • Build-your-own plan: $0 to $8 for minutes, $0 to $6 for texts and $0 to $26 for data, depending on numbers and amount chosen

Unlimited All plans include taxes and fees, while other plans have a $2 service fee and a regulatory cost recovery charge of $1 to $5 per line.

US Mobile also has shared plans, which cost $9 per line and $2 per GB, plus a regulatory cost recovery charge of 48 cents per line.

International data up to 10 GB is included at no extra cost for those on Unlimited All plans. Roaming rates vary by country for those with other plans.

The US Mobile Starter Kit, which includes SIM cards that allow you to use your existing phone, costs $3.99.

US Mobile FAQ

What network does US Mobile use?
US Mobile uses the Super LTE network and GSM LTE network.
Does US Mobile have monthly fees?
For all plans except Unlimited All plans, in addition to the monthly plan cost, there is a $2 service fee and a regulatory cost recovery charge of $1 to $5 per line. Shared plans have only a regulatory cost recovery charge of 48 cents per line.
Does US Mobile have Wi-Fi calling?
Yes, US Mobile plans come with Wi-Fi calling on the GSM LTE network.
Where can I buy a US Mobile SIM card?
US Mobile SIM cards are available for purchase on the company’s website.

Is US Mobile good?

US Mobile is worth exploring if you are looking for a contract-free, prepaid cellphone plan. You can use your current phone, keep your phone number and customize a plan based on how many minutes and texts and how much data you need. You also get a 14-day trial: If you don’t like the way US Mobile works, the company will give you a refund. Customer representatives are available 24/7 by phone and chat to provide support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Mobile?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Mobile?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

US Mobile 10gb international data false advertisement, I trusted Us mobile international data service and it's not working. Finally I purchased Local data, I spent almost hour time US Mobile customer service but it's not resolved the problem, US Mobile advertising 10GB international data is included. What's the point if it is not working.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

I have had US Mobile a few times over the past years. I'm not sure why I keep returning. This most recent time was the absolute last time. Every time I get a SIM card with them, it has problems out of the box. This time, my hotspot didn't work. I spent over an hour on chat with customer service, also emails and a phone call. Then my wife's SIM data did not work at all, even after another hour on chat. So I tried to cancel both sim cards. They only refunded my wife's fee since it had never been used. They refused to refund the starter SIM card fee. And for my phone, even though I only used it 1 week and couldn't get hotspot to work, they refused to refund anything.

The customer service is absolutely terrible. The previous time I used it, my data would turn off and on multiple times during the day. After several phone calls they were unable to figure it out. So, they sent me a new sim card which I had to wait several days for. I have switched to Mint Mobile. These 2 sim cards arrived quickly and worked immediately upon inserting them on my phone. I like their service and recommend them. Please stay away from US Mobile.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

We have been with US Mobile now for 3yrs and have not had any problems with their service. We use 30g of data each a month on the unlimited plan. The data speeds do slow down in congested areas such as big cities. Also, have not had any issues with customer service.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Data speeds are really a joke. I was on a vacation trip I did not want super fast speeds. Just browsing. And it was really slow all over Orlando metro area. Four different phones/SIM cards. Customer service is a joke. Really slow on the chat. In the end, they renewed my plans BEFORE the date and I am having trouble to get a refund. Go elsewhere. They are cheap but does not worth it!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Yesterday I just open my new phone and the new SIM card, I port my number from mobile, I install the SIM card and when I look the data said 4550mb, I pay for 5GB, ok, maybe for the install and configuration they used my data, but iPhone always ask for you connect your wifi, this morning for my surprise I had just 3483 mb left, they said I had used 1171 mb, but the iPhone have this information to, but much less!!! I used the data from US Mobile just for check the speed and connection to the tower, and I used my wifi! I'm my iPhone said than I have had used 970 mb of data between cell data and wifi!! I have screenshots to prove that, if anybody want to see, I can send to you! Don't port to this company, they are liars! One more thing, with Tmobile I never had used more the 3 GB per month!

Original review: July 14, 2021

Unlike most people, not only I subscribe to a company for their prices, but I also am looking for good customer service. Unfortunately, US Mobile is not known for that! The person that was helping me is rude! I was gonna go through with setting up my phone number through US Mobile; but, after what felt like an awful service from a horrible representative, I told them I’ll stick with my current carrier even though I have to pay more at my current carrier. It’s not worth it! If you want a cheap carrier, go through Mint, don’t select US Mobile. Don’t let the company’s name fool you! All of their representatives are telemarketers from India!

Original review: June 8, 2021

US Mobile provides an amazing price, with a very limited customer service. Be aware that service beyond a very basic phone and SMS is limited. I had to travel to Mexico, and wanted to purchase some plan to Mexico. Amazingly, you cannot use your phone in Mexico with US Mobile. If you take your phone to Mexico, you can't get calls or text messages. I'm not talking about answering calls or sending messages. In other words: if you 8 days in Mexico with US Mobile, your U.S. phone number is down for 8 days. They do provide data only plan for Mexico. Customer support spent hours with me in order to configure the data plan for Mexico. The process took a few hours, although I have one of the newest Google phones. If you will never leave the U.S., then US Mobile is for you.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

COVID has been a god awful time. Due to loss of income, we could not afford our full bill, but my partner is disabled and needs a phone for his constant doctors visits. We contacted customer service, and they helped us set up a plan with the company to at least pay something towards our bill so that the phones would stay on. We checked in with Customer Service twice a month to keep them updated of our situation, and if we were able we paid more than our minimum to get more of our balance taken care of. Everyone was nice, understanding, and worked with us. At first. We had travelled out of town for a specialist appointment, and this was a new appointment at a new place. Four hours away from home and our appointment finished, we found our phones had been shut off and we could not even access the internet for GPS to find our way home.

My partner called to figure out what was going on, and they had decided, without any notification whatsoever, to terminate our payment plan and expected us to pay in full to get our phones turned back on. All paperwork on our situation and payment agreement had mysteriously "disappeared", and they tacked on a bunch of extra charges on top of that. After two hours and three supervisors, they temporarily turned our phones back on so we could get home and said to call back in the morning to pay in full. We called in the morning to explain once again, and were told there was nothing to be done because there was "no documentation" on our hardship, even thought everything had been submitted and filed months ago and we had no issues previously.

One sympathetic representative told us that, since we own our phones and they were unlocked, we could get a pay as you go plan if we let the contract plan run out and go to collections, but that could take three months. Otherwise, with the phones unlocked, we could take our business elsewhere. So we did. My partner is in store, switching plans, and as you would called US Cellular to confirm that he was the account holder and to get the account information needed to switch companies. They claimed that if we wanted to get our account information, we had to travel to a store two hours from our house and get it in person.

EVERY other phone company I've ever done business with, if you can confirm you are the account holder, they give you any information you need over the phone. I find this company to be dishonest in their practices, and the way they spoke to my partner any time her tried to better the situation? It could even be considered borderline harassment. Run away from this company and do NOT give them your business if you value your money, for they do NOT value their customers.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Don't waste your time & money!!! After 2 days of trying to activate the Super LTE network with various reps doing different settings they said my phone was not compatible, even after their own system said it was...so I was told to activate on the GSM network, after set up completion around 8:30 pm I did a few test to ensure everything was okay, verified that internet connection was up and running, afterwards I turned my Wi-Fi back on, the next day before 9 am my internet stopped working, I called CS again and was told you guess it...I was out of data... I had used 2.5 gb in less than 13 hours, mostly overnight, in my sleep! They provided me a "report" of my data usage that showed 20mb being used about every minute...weird right????

My previous plan was 20 gb...never have I used more than 8 to 10 gb in a month...but somehow I can use 2.5 gb overnight on Wi-Fi? The best part was when I wanted to port my number back to my old carrier, I chatted with CS to get my account # and pin...CS...after a few mundane and smartly postponing remarks his answer..."I can’t give you that information, I will send you a email." So I called CS, after answering 20 questions..."I can't give you that information, we will send you a email!" So I had to move out of my spot on my carrier until the email arrive since the place was packed and I felt it was not right to keep other customer waiting... The service itself had a few dropped calls which I had never experienced with my real carrier and the phone would read "Emergency Calls Only" which seems to me it was losing network connection. If you want a Headache...Go Ahead!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Shady business practices. Offered a $400 off promotion for bringing over a new iPhone XS that by their terms was good until the end of November. By mid-October it was "sold out" even though they were still advertising it on their website. Others have reported entering the $400 off promo code only to be told later after signing up that no promo code was entered. Does not inspire confidence in US Mobile that they refuse to honor their own policies & promotions.

US Mobile Company Information