3.7/5 (816 ratings)

About Optimum

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

Pros

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Bottom Line

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

Top Optimum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered ...

Verified

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call...

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
  • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
  • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
  • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
  • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
Contract length24 months24 months24 months
Channels220340420
HD channelsNone110140
Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
*Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
Can you pay Optimum bills online?
Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
Who owns Optimum?
Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I have spent 4 hours with Optimum Customer Service. I have been a longstanding customer and their customer service continues to be poor. When I moved the technician took my old equipment and installed new and now I have to prove he took it before they refund a charge of $421.27! So frustrating! Still no resolution.

Optimum response

Hello, Siobhan! We are here to help and would be glad to further address the equipment charges for you. Feel free to message us back directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number if you were still seeking assistance

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

The Yankee Red Sox game (where Aaron Judge could have set the HR record) was not on YES Network (Yankee Network) which I pay additional money to Optimum. Instead, all of a sudden the game was on Apple TV which I do not get, This along with the fact that Optimum farmed out most Friday night games to Amazon Prime throughout this entire season (which I also do not get). For years, I paid for YES Network and got all Yankee games (once in a while a game would be on channel 11 WPIX which everyone gets). I called Optimum to complain that I was getting much less games but the cost has gone up so I wanted some sort of credit. I told by Nazeem the supervisor that there would be no discount or credit because this was their policy, Optimum should not be allowed to get away with this. Signed Sean **

Optimum response

Hi, Sean! We appreciate you leaving a review. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I applied for new service on 9/15/22 I was very happy to get an install appointment for 9/17/22. I made sure that I was at home and the installer arrived on time. After completing the inside work I was informed that outside wire work was needed, the service call was being requested and someone would be out to repair the outside wire by the following Monday at the latest. Monday I call customer service, was informed no ticket was in. Created a work request and waited, Wednesday a technician came out and said wire work is needed and said a tech would be out today 9/23/22 still no service and I work from home.

Optimum response

Hello, Terry! Thanks for taking the time to comment and I apologize for the poor experience. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Paid for 1 Gig Internet for over a year, didn't receive 1/10th of that. Kept charging me for a modem I never used and returned every month and charged me for internet service when my internet service was shut off. After all that, 92V operator (Cheryl) told me that would take back all those charges, but only if I stayed with them. I said "So you are going to bill me for services you never delivered if I don't stay?" and the answer was "unfortunately yes, unless you stay with us".

Optimum response

Hello, Christopher! We are here to help and would be glad to further address the intermittent low speeds you are experiencing. If you are still seeking assistance with your connection, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we can take a closer look from our end. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Someone called me from Optimum offering a line for $5 a month on the first year. I believed them and requested two lines for my kids. They said my old IPhone is not good and they can send me new phone for $5 a month for 3 years. I believed them. When my kids checked the phones online, they found that they are very very basic, and they refund to have them. I called Optimum the second day and asked them to cancel the order (24 hours or less). They said I need to wait until I receive my order then send it back. I asked them for a return label and send them back without opening the box. They did not return my $82 that I paid as a start. They charged me $50 restocking fee on each phone and charged me for one month on each line. I tried to speak to managers but no one care and they sent $128 for collection. I paid $210 for nothing and I had to deal with scam from a trustful company. SHAME ON YOU OPTIMUM.

Optimum response

Hi, George! Thanks for commenting. We are here to help and would be glad to look over your account. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I wish I could give this company 0 stars. They are the absolute worst company to ever deal with in every way. It takes 5+ minutes to get to a human. They turned off my internet resulting in a missed deadline and now I am facing possible termination at my job. I came home at 8 pm to find my internet and all services were turned off because they installed new service in my 2nd home. I was never made aware that services would be terminated after installation. Not a single call, email, letter, nothing. I asked them 20 times to play the recorded call when I requested the additional services at the other house because I know I specifically told the girl that I DID NOT want to cancel anything and I would pay for both accounts and call them when I was ready to deactivate. They won't play the call. I called at 8 pm to see what was going on and their "tech support" told me there was nothing anyone could do until 8 am the following day.

I called and spoke with someone at 8 am who said no one could help me until 9 am and they would call me. They never called so at 9:15 am I called them and took until 9:30 to get someone on the phone. The manager reset my internet, had to reregister all my stuff and when I asked him to credit my account for the inconvenience, after being a customer for 10+ years (along with my entire family and my husband's company, which they make thousands off each month) they told me it was too bad and I have to pay for the services or they will cut them off again.

I am canceling all services with them and the rest of my friends, family and my husband's office will be terminating their services. This has been years of issues built up and always giving them another chance because I did not want to switch to Verizon. Well, Verizon, here we come, all 10 accounts will be moving and I will continue to tell everyone I know to cancel their Optimum services. Absolute garbage company with 0 customer support, 0 care for the clients / retention. Just an all around greedy, disgusting company.

Optimum response

Hey, Nichole! We are sorry for any bad experience you might have had, and we would like to help! Please message us at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we can take a closer look.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I wanted to switch to Verizon Fios and when I called to cancel Optimum I was offered 500 mpbs for 39.99 a month. I was sent a new router and when I went to set it up there were issues that the woman on the phone couldn't resolve. A tech came and told me the router I was sent couldn't handle 500 and to return it to the store and that my old router could be set up for 500. I noticed a week later I still had 300 mpbs so I called Optimum and they said the tech was wrong and he would be written up and I would not be charged for the visit. Well I was charged for the visit and they would not take the charges off my account. I am disgusted and got the runaround.

Optimum response

Hello, Mary! We appreciate you taking the time to share what happened. We are here to help and would be glad to take a look at this. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

We moved to our new home about a year and half ago. It has been a nightmare with optimum since. The initial install was a mess (because they used private contractors) nothing worked. I spent months trying to get issues resolved. I'd set appointments and no one would show up (twice) and they have the gall tell you if you're not there they will charge you $80, or once they showed with the wrong work order and "couldn't fix the issue" because it wasn't on that work order.

I consistently have week signal and pay for faster service. During covid they subbed out their customer service to India and I dealt with the rudest customer (lack) of support I've ever experienced multiple calls for same issues. We did not have cable for 3 months and we still don't have credit. They charged me for 4 boxes when I only had 3 for a year. I still don't have credit. I just don't understand... Their own technicians tell me that the equipment is not very good... I've been begging for service and for issues to be resolved for a year and a half. At this point we just want our credits and we will move on. It's disgusting that they charge such prices for a really poor service but it makes sense when they have to send service reps out 3-5 times for a issue that should be fixed in one try. They don't even deserve the one star.

Optimum response

Hello, James! We appreciate you taking the time to share what happened. We are here to help and would be glad to look over this for you. Please feel free to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include her full address or account number

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I had Optimum at my old address for about 10 years. It was Suddenlink at that time. We had some trouble with it going out but nothing like what I'm dealing with now. We bought a house 20 minutes away that needed renovated. We couldn't get a cell signal so we knew we needed phone service. The broadband provider is was Suddenlink. They were already transitioning to Optimum. No landline phone is available so I went online and tried to schedule setting up internet and phone. When the technician arrived I questioned why it says only internet was available. He said they are making improvements. I provided my own router/modem combo.

He attached an existing cable that ran from an old satellite TV provider and said they would come back later and do a complete hookup. I was only able to make calls using my cell phone to make Wi-Fi calls. No one ever came back. I have frequently called about getting phone service. All the neighbors that have internet also have digital phone service but I am told it isn't available.

About 6 weeks ago it started going out more often. It is out some days for hours at a time. I demanded they send someone but all he did was adjust the signal, lowered it. Said that I would have to ask for a new installation which I guess they want me to pay for. I asked why I can't have digital phone and he said he had no idea, there is no reason he couldn't but it would have to be approved and they just tell me it's not available. That was Wednesday. Today, Friday, it was out most of the day.

I had several deliveries scheduled and they couldn't call to verify. I don't know if they will be able to reach me tomorrow either. Sunday's it's almost always out so it's certainly not because they are working in my area! If I have a medical emergency, I have no way to call anyone. I am ready to just cancel it. I am paying for a service I don't have. I printed out the forms to file a complaint with the West Virginia Attorney General. I am also going to ask the Public Service Commission of they can help.

Optimum response

Hey, Debra! We are here to help and would be glad to assist you with your connection. Please message us at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we can take a closer look at what might be causing your issues.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

From the official website of Optimum Mobile, I bought an iPhone 13 along with unlimited plan and paid in full. They provided me an invoice/Order ID: ** on 9/04/22 and a phone number along with a guarantee of a two-day shipment, but when it took longer than a week, I repeatedly contacted customer support and they were informing me that, "We are preparing for shipment" and that they would shortly give me a tracking number. But a week later, I got a call from a representative informing me that, "We were out of stock of the iPhone." I was shocked to learn what this is. I begged him to connect me to a manager or supervisor, but he said he was unable to do so and said, "We will repay you in two days.."

I waited for many days, but no one responded. However, when I contacted the Optimum customer care number today, the representative said that, "Your refund will be issued in October." That's crazy. I begged him once again to put me in touch with a manager, but he refused. It was a fake advertisement, to start. The credit card refund should not take more than two days. It likewise appears to be a hoax. Firstly, they failed to ship my purchases, and secondly, they are refusing to refund the money I previously paid in full. Fraud as well as scams.

Optimum response

Hi Sayyad! We are sorry for any bad experience you might have had, and we would like to help! Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info

Optimum Company Information