2.45/5

Optimum

The Optimum brand, available in the New York tri-state area, provides a full in-home connectivity and entertainment experience through high-speed Internet, digital TV, and voice services, plus Optimum WiFi, the nation’s most robust WiFi network. Through its strategic partners, Optimum also offers a

variety of enhanced service and technical support options as well as smart home products to meet the connected home needs of today’s consumer.

View More View More

755 Optimum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

In lieu of Taking $113 (I think that’s the amount now) out of my Social Security every month for Medicare, with OPTIMUM, they only take out about $25 a month and I get $35 a month over the counter from their brochure, free. I have had x-rays, Dr. visits, blood tests, etc., and for every single thing I had I only paid $20 for an ultrasound of my stomach trying to find a kidney stone. There were no other charges at all. I am very satisfied with OPTIMUM.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had my Samsung cable boxes upgraded to the new Altice service. The tech was running late but called multiple times to let me know. They then sent a different tech. He was excellent! Our conversion was not simple as the primary modem was being relocated to the other side of the house. Our TV and wifi was up and running very quickly. We kept the old modem until I could run a telephone line to the new location. (now complete). The one thing I never took into consideration was that by changing to a new WIFI ALL of our smarthouse components and computers, printers, thermostats cameras etc. connected to our WIFI had to be re-educated. This took me a few days.

Fortunately I have some techno knowledge because I don't believe that Optimum would do all of that. Finally the last bit was switching the phone line to the new Altice box. I did this via a chat line with one of their techs. All is well at the moment. The network is significantly faster than the old one. The only reason I did not give them 5 stars is it would have been nice to have a heads up about the changes I had to make.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I am pleased with optimum. CS is great. But price is too high. And too many shopping channels and Spanish channels that I just don't use. More sports! What a waste.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I couldn’t be happier with Optimum. The service is always reliable and if I have a problem there’s always great customer service. I couldn’t imagine overpaying with any other cable company. I’ve been a loyal customer since 2011 and will continue to support them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I decided to take my time and review all good business. I notice people review business only when they have a problem with that business. Most people that have good experience forget to review how good some business are. I been a customer with OPTIMUM since 1998 and they never failed me. I did switch one time. The reason was my bill went to high. I understood that most cable companies bills go high after some years due to giving other competitors space to do business. Any time I had a problem OPTIMUM helped me, TV, internet or phone. What I learned is buy protection plans from these cable companies solves a lot of problems. Such as no charges for tech showing up to your home and other benefits which I don't remember exactly. This is a 5-star business and they deserve it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had the worst experience ever on the phone yesterday with customer service. I was on the phone for 1 hour and 58 minutes dealing with an issue that wasn’t resolved. There are people yelling, laughing, cheering and screaming in the background so loudly that you can’t hear yourself speak let alone the persons you're talking to.

I spoke with a woman, I have no idea what her name is because I couldn’t hear her, I was on with her for about 30 minutes. I told her I couldn’t hear her, she said “oh ok. I’ll take care of that” so she put the phone down and the cheering and yelling and clapping all got louder and she never picked up the phone ever again. I literally was screaming into the phone to get her to pick it up and she had probably walked away to go hang out with everyone in the background and I hung up after 12 minutes of being left there.

I spoke with 3 people total. Got absolutely nowhere and I have $120 fee that I have to pay because someone on your end didn’t put through a package that was suppose to be set up in March so I’ve been getting charged $40 in March, April and May. I understand that March you potentially be the $40 although it should be pro-rated because I called early in the month. Even so I shouldn’t have an additional $80 charge then.

The end result is that someone named Andy (customer service in Billing) is going to speak with Huge (his Manager) and listen to audio takes from the March phone call to see what transpired. This was the fine outcome after being on the phone with him for 1 hour and 2 minutes. Why did it have to take that long? Why am I having to pay for someone else’s mistake on YOUR end? The end result is if this isn’t resolved I’m leaving Optimum and I’m not paying the fee and I will dispute this on my credit report. I don’t understand how a customer would be treated like this. It’s mind boggling and completely utterly disgusting the way customer service is taken care of through your company.

Original review: May 20, 2019

When looking for a new cable, internet and phone provider, I came across a fantastic deal with Optimum, $139.99 for 3 years plus an Amex gift card for $200. When I called to verify the amount I was told the total monthly price was $139.99. When asked if that included tax and fees, I was told "no" - they should have mentioned that and not waited for me to ask. False advertising indicating the total monthly fee of $139.99. I told them I wanted to keep my phone number, they assigned a new number (which I called and cancelled). I asked for a Saturday appointment, they gave me a Thursday appointment. I asked for Altice, they gave me the legacy product with refurbished equipment.

Before the tech left I checked and all my phone had a dial tone and internet and cable was working. The next day I realized they had not cancelled the new phone number, and incoming calls were not going to all the phones. Plus I was now being charged for a new number. Today the tech is supposed to come and fix the phone issue. I also called to see how much my monthly bill would be and was told $161.95. I asked if this included tax and fees, and guess what they said "no", but couldn't tell me what the final amount will be. I will not be staying with them for 3 years!

Original review: May 19, 2019

I have had Optimum for 6 years since I moved in since they are the only TV provider. It is terrible. The channel guide constantly freezes or will say no data when I try to scroll the channels. Numerous times I have had to call to reset the internet because it stopped working. They raise my bill every year and offer nothing else with it. They try to tell me they are the most affordable provider but that’s only because there is no other competition in the area. I will be canceling my TV subscription because it is so terrible. There needs to be other providers in Mahwah to encourage competition and stop the monopoly that Optimum has. I literally pay $130 for cable and Internet with one cable box and the service is terrible.

Original review: May 17, 2019

You can never get in touch with a live customer service rep. Ever! My mother is paralyzed and cannot press any buttons on her box, that stopped working. I was just trying to find out what options she has. But all I get is an annoying robot recording, that refuses to understand the request to space with an operator, or representative. Shame on you, Optimum!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I was promised $150 for signing on as a new customer. Now they Refuse to give it to me. They say I missed one payment but that was because they refused to help me sign on to automatic withdrawals from my account. My password did not work on their internet screen and they would not walk me through so one payment was missed. Finally one rep helped me get a new password and I have automatic payment now. They are still refusing to give me the promised $159.

Do I have to cancel my service now because they have not done what they have promised? They would not let me or help me on the phone to get automatic withdrawal and said only on the internet but that did not work because the password did not work. The nice Rep that I found finally gave me a new password and stayed on the phone and walked me through the automatic withdrawal that I needed and now have. They are refusing to give me the promised $150 and now I have to change my service to another company.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Right now I'm looking at an Alert that says the channel is unavailable (as are many). Every time I call customer service it's a nightmare, 1st time the women left me on hold until the call center closed, second time after my line went down after a storm and the repair guy had to come in my house, they are trying to charge me $80 plus tax for their crappy work. Customer service was USELESS and when I asked to go above the supervisor the guy actually sounded scared and said "that's upper management", who shocking never got back to me. What a bunch of fools.

Original review: May 14, 2019

The worst company you can ever deal with. Don't get Optimum. You can be on hold for hours and hours and don't solve any issue. Very very very unprofessional representative and you can never ever speak to a manager. By the way they will make 20 holes on the day of insulation and don't get it right.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Worst in all aspects! Customer Service and Site techs have no knowledge of what they are to be doing. I was a Comcast Customer for 20+ years and only issue was when superstorm Sandy affected our area, otherwise no problem. I have a service appointment scheduled today from 10 am to 8 pm (some window, huh!). Stayed home and still no one! The old adage is the fish stinks from the head and no doubt this is the deal here! Their employees are probably the most underpaid under appreciated bunch and therefore could not care less about work ethic. Miserable experience from one end to other.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I called customer service to cut the cord. I was transferred to someone who, it seems, had the job of talking me out of it. She offered me a great deal, big savings. I was impressed, said I would take it and keep my cable. Unbeknownst to me, the deal involved cancelling my phone service. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the phone until I got the Optimum email confirming the "deal." No wonder the price was low. Years ago, when AOL was a subscription service, anyone trying to cancel had a hard time with their customer service. There were a lot of complaints about it. Apparently Optimum is adopting the same tactics. Whatever it takes to stop someone cutting the cord. Be forewarned.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Got Altice in Sept and since then have called ** every two days to reboot to get favorites. Only Feb had a ticket about the problem and every two days I call then get email about how was the service and I yell loud - since Feb have called ** to reboot to get favorites because they are the techs. Then they start saying I should reboot it myself. I say you I want it to work then they send to video specialist and Carol said, "Go to old system and pay more but don't have installs after 2-5 today." Chris said that they update Altice every day and it defaults to all channels back up. I said, "Could I speak to somebody that could help answer." "No." Then came the **. Sorry Chris your company really sucks.

Original review: May 10, 2019

The only reason they get 1 star is become no stars is not possible to write a review. This is the worst company. Stay away if you can. For three weeks they've lied to me, I pay almost $300 a month for cable/phone/Internet and I've had an issue with my cable service. For three weeks no supervisor ever called back, they've lied to me, I stay on the phone for hours and when the first tech came in to solve the problem he didn't.

Three weeks later, they had one competent person who finally fixed it. The customer service is outsourced, and it's awful. Although these people learned to speak English, they did not learn customer service skills. If you can help it, stay away from Optimum. No wonder they changed to Altice, to confuse people and to hide that Optimum name. It's shameful what is happening for the money they charge.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I am a single mother of 2, My bill goes up every time I call to save money. They convinced me to stay with them at a basic TV and phone and internet 200 mbps for $87.49 Altice box. Optimum wanted to increase my speed and upgrade my system, which I was surprised seeing as I just downgraded TV to basic to save $$. I come home to find 3 old boxes, a spaghetti wire mess in my home and my daughter said she didn’t understand how this was an upgrade! Then I received a email with my bill that jumped to $98.49. Liar liar pants on fire????

Original review: May 9, 2019

I called Optimum in about a gift card of 100$. I started my service in December and now it's May. They said I would've gotten my gift card after March 29, as I became eligible for it. They said I was eligible because I made 3 months payment, soon came April 29th and I call them. Again they say it should come any day. First week of May I call again. They tell me it should come around the coming Monday. Now it's been 3 days after Monday. I call again. Now they tell me I didn't meet the requirement. They say there isn't a gift card any more. So they told me I was Eligible on March 29th and made me wait all the way to May 9th, just to tell me I won't be getting it, when in that time frame they have continuously reassured me I will be getting it. Now that's false advertisement and a waste of my time. You don't tell a customer the same thing for a few months and change it all of a sudden. Bunch of thieves.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have had nothing but problems with my cable since mid Winter. We had no issues at all then all of a sudden I see Optimum trucks on our street 2 or 3 times a week and then one by one our cable boxes started to not work. We took 2 of them to our local Optimum store and replaced them and they worked for a week or so then started to go out again. Then one would work and one would not and so on. They would reboot them and refresh signal and then they would be fine then out again.

I want to know what they are doing in the lines to cause this. I called them several times and it's always "We'll send out a technician" which we would have to pay for and that is BS!! Our boxes go out after we see a truck on our street doing whatever they are doing on our lines. I also lose internet about once a week as well! I have a feeling that they are doing this so people will pay for technicians or upgrade but I am cancelling because I've had enough of paying $290 a month for cable that doesn't work. They should be investigated!

Original review: May 9, 2019

2:30pm my users alerted me that they have no Internet connection. Called Optimum and the recording said due to high volume, customer service is unavailable. I used the IVR and the ETA is 6:00pm. At 6:30 still no Internet, logged into the online portal and now the outage has no ETA. I asked for a call back from a supervisor if there is any feedback from the technician. I get a call 3 hours later and the supervisor says sorry but no ETA. A business internet that is down for more than 6 hours and still no ETA? How do they stay on business with this much lack of providing critical information? How unreliable is their field technician if they are working on this for 6 hours and still cannot provide an ETA? If you run a business, stay away from Optimum.

Original review: May 6, 2019

We switched to Altice One in February. Since then I have one box that only works part time. And two boxes I have to reboot between 3 to 5 times a week to get them to work. You also cannot get all the apps you can get with a smart TV. They preload apps and those are the ones you can watch. My Smart TV I was able to download any and all apps. Now I cannot use those apps. Also they tell you you can restart a program but when you do you cannot fast forward through commercials so you throw your whole watching off. I also cannot stop and back up on one of my boxes even though all the settings say it is set up. We initially switch because of pixelation, we were told this would help, it does not. We still get pixelation while watching.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Optimum is simply the worst company ever. Their products are inferior and their customer service (CS) is horrendous. Firstly, they have outsourced their CS to somewhere outside the US, and those representatives are not familiar with any aspect of the company or the services. It’s basically the same as speaking with an automated system, plus they claim they have no ability to transfer you to a US rep if you request such. They tell you that you just need to try calling back until you reach someone in the US, & they tell you this, while simultaneously claiming they are in the US. If you request a supervisor - there is never anyone available and they tell you they will schedule a call back. I have scheduled a call back no less than five times at different times about different issues and I have never gotten a call back.

Additionally, since the reps are inadequately trained (if trained at all) the result is they lie!!! Yes lie in order to answer your questions - it’s infuriating to get a different answer about rates, technical problems, appointments etc from each rep you speak with. In the course of an hour, I called three times and got three different answers. As for their automated service, it too is meant to infuriate its customers. Half the time, it does not even recognize the prompts you press and when it does it then sends you in a circle-back to where you started.

As for service calls - it’s a challenge. I received a 10am-8pm window which is ludicrous, and then they didn’t even show. But when I called in to report the no-show I’m told they called to let me know they where on their way but they didn’t get an answer. That may be true... because they were calling the number to the phone that was not working and the reason for the service call! Now I was also told they called the cell number I had provided when I made the appt. but that was a lie because, my cell never rang nor was there a missed call message. However 2 of the 3 reps told me there was no cell # on file, while the third said there was.

So we having calling a broken line, lying about calling a cell # that was listed and was not listed on the account, and lastly we have that despite making all these calls, the tech then claims he still came to the home anyway but no one answered when he “knocked.” Now this is an apt building so first you have to be announced by the doorman - who will buzz through internal intercom system (separate and apart from the phone line) to advice resident a repair person is on the way up. That never happened but let’s say if he successfully got past security why would he “knock” as opposed to ring the doorbell! Again different reps told me different versions of the sequence of events so all just making up lies, and as for lies if they don’t like the outcome of the call, they actually document what they want on your file - which is stupid since all calls are recorded. I later found out they wrote I cancelled the appt.

I can list a dozen other complaints but my advice if you need CS call the corporate # and file a complaint but must hit zero to get an operator and then tell them explicitly you want someone in corporate NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE (you may have to leave your number & get a call back but they will). And remember calls are recorded so if you are challenging the info you received from CS tell corporate to pull and listen to the calls. I got a $150 credit when corporate listened to the call & heard what the rep promised me. Corporate’s # is 631 846-5317. Lastly for the best rates ask to speak with Retention (not sales) & ask for current promos. Never pay what you are first quoted.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Has anybody notice that when you call Customer Service that your called is being outsourced out of the country? Support is now terrible. I called up with a minor problem and the person was unable to help me. Customer Service is now very inferior to what it was when support came from the US. For me this is a show stopper. Without Customer Service, they are worthless. I will be most likely be dropping them and going to one of their competitors.

Original review: May 2, 2019

In April 2019, I was informed that in order to keep receiving the Extra Innings package, I would have to trade in my Atlantic Technology DVR box for a Samsung SMT-5320 box. The deficiencies that I have with this new box are:

-No skip to end choice.
-Does not stop quickly. It will advance several seconds after hold is hit.
-Cannot program an early start of a program.
-Cannot adjust record time while recording.
-Cannot back-up while watching a live program.

-Cannot program a limited amount of time. For example, the last eight minutes of Jeopardy.

Original review: May 1, 2019

This company has got to be the worst company I have dealt with when it comes to cable. They are liars. They are deceivers and they tell one customer different things depending on which representative you speak to. You could speak to 3 representatives in the span of 1 hour and each representative will tell you something different about the same bill and the same account. I realize that when they cannot give you the proper information or when they are being dishonest they will put you on hold without you knowing that they're putting you on hold, then all of a sudden you hear a busy signal because they hung up on you. Optimum is full of crap. They are the worst company ever and I advise if you can find a different company to go with please go with a different cable company because this company is full of a bunch of liars, deceivers and unethical people.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Optimum quality of services has drastically declined. Customer service is POORLY informed and do not have correct answers. I spoke to 5 CSR all with different answers when my cable was knocked out. Some said it was an outage just to get off the phone, others say it was not, SO WHEN I finally asked for a service guy, they advised if the issue is outside there is no 90.00 service charge, if the issue is inside the home there will be a charge!

Ok the issue WAS outside and the service man said there will be no charge. The issue was on the side of the building, well why was I NOT surprise to see a 90.00 service charge on my bill, and customer service said I was lying about the charge...huh???? Because the service guy left no notes in the system so basically because someone did not do their PAPERWORK I'm liable for a 90.00 charge? The service is already overpriced for a silver package with so little service. I'm happy to be cancelling this service. I can do without this company. I'm paying money for such poor quality service is stressful.

Original review: April 29, 2019

If there were a rating less than 1 star I’d chose that! NASTY customer service. I was on the phone for 2 hours before I had any type of “help”.. I asked to speak with a supervisor and one representative told me, "What would you expect the supervisor to do for you..." Kept me on hold for 25 min then told me I should probably call back later...which is odd being that I’ve been a loyal customer for 9 years. On top of all that they bill you a whole page of taxes and surcharges that the employees themselves couldn’t explain what they were for. They make changes without notifying you and transfer you everywhere in the company before you get at-least one person who’s willing to hear you out and attempt to help. But by that time you’re ready to rip your sideburns off... This company is horrible.

Original review: April 29, 2019

One of my two remotes was an antique, but it worked until about 3 weeks ago. I called service. They said they shipped one... never to be seen in my mail. After that first conversation, I received an email stating I was getting a new cable box, cost $11.00, but at no charge. I called and said, “All I need is a remote.” "Please Hold". The agent checked and said the remote was ordered, but IF I get a cable box, please call them. I got nothing in the time promised by the first agent. More time passed, I called again, "Please hold," and this time was admonished and told it takes 5-10 Business days, unlike what the first agent promised. More time went by and I called again. "Please hold" I was told to give it until Friday, and was given the code number on the missing remote so I could activate it. (It was like telling me the winning lottery number, and I didn't have a ticket.) Nada.

I called Saturday. "Please hold." I was urged to be patient until today. Nada. I called today. "Please hold." Silence for 5 minutes, and I am saying into the phone "Is anybody there?" Finally, the agent reappeared and told she shipped another and it will take 5-10 business days. "Can you expedite it for me?" "No". I told her Amazon can always track their packages and tell you where they are or where they might have strayed. Cable knows NADA! Agents need the tools to help customers. Having to wait almost 3 weeks without any agent being able to track the package is very poor service, and crazy. Hey Optimum, hire Amazon to teach your leaders and agents what customer service should sound like. If I hear one more agent recite the scripted: "I totally understand," I will continue to write poor reviews until I finally leave.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I’m sad to admit I dealt with them longer then I should have. They have the worst customer service and can careless about losing a customer. In three occasions when I called to touch base about an issue they claim that THEY HAVE NO RECORDS OF ME CALLING WITH WHATEVER ISSUE. Like really?? Three time.. Not a coincidence. They are a scam. Never refunded my money for a faulty box of 6 months. I left Verizon to go to them for price savings but you get what you pay for. I am going back to Verizon and will to pay much more for better customer service. Verizon would never lose a customer over a few bucks of a refund. I do not recommend Optimum based on their customer service. Price was good but with equipment failure and poor customer service Optimum is on my ** list. This goes to show that paying more for something is better when customer service is on point. Bye Optimum and sorry Verizon for leaving for 8 months.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I lived with a roommate and we sent in a name change form to switch the account to me as she was moving out. I was downgrading from Cable and internet to just internet. A technician came out and took the 3 boxes away and installed a new modem. The next bill came and it went to my old roommate who got charged $360 for ‘equipment’. I call them and I’ve been calling weekly now for 2 months trying to get a bill for my new connection. I don’t exist in their world. There is no record of me, they say my roommate account is disconnected. However I still have WiFi. But when I call to reset the modem the other day I used her phone number & the automated system recognized her number and it was reset. But then I spoke to a person saying I still hadn’t received a bill and that the charge on the roommate's bill was incorrect.

I still don’t have an account. I’m moving next week and I have their equipment but no one to return it to. The equipment charge on her bill should be reversed but we are stuck in limbo So has a deactivated account. I have WiFi but no account. I’ve now spoken with about 15 people, been transferred dozens of times, laughed at when I got angry with them and there is no manager to speak to. Worst company ever and the most horrific customer service I’ve ever experienced in my life.

Optimum expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs