Optimum IO Cable

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This company does not send out any bills, so they also charge you a late fee which is a result of their mistake. They also raise their charges when they already have an agreed amount for two year. Extremely bad company and stay away. They are thieves.

I signed up for Optimum's package deals because they promised a good deal. I called customer service, asked in detail about their bundle services. I asked for SPECIFIC channels that I watch. The customer service agent told me that the deal includes ALL the channels I asked for. Fantastic! We sign up and the cable, internet, and TV are installed. Guess what? None of the channels I asked for are available. I was forced to upgrade to get my channels and they had the nerve to lie to me EVERY TIME I called to ask about their billing information. They tried to blame it on me, that I was hearing them wrong, that my phone connection might be bad. They kept offering me deal after deal, discount after discount to make me stay as their customer. But the bill prices kept increasing and each offer they offered me? Gone! Never existed! We cut our services with Optimum.

I emailed them to find out how to disconnect cable TV, if I could bring the box to the Optimum store and take it off my bill going forward. I have been an Optimum customer for 20 years. I am streaming TV now on my internet and no longer need Cable TV. They told me to call a disconnect service line. I did for over 20 minutes on hold. Meanwhile I called customer service to add new service to see how long it would take to get them to pick up the phone. They picked up the line in 30 seconds. If that isn't shady I don't know what is. They make it EXTREMELY difficult to shut service off, and they keep charging you. How is this legal?

Optimum has come up with a genius way of robbing people. I couldn't get through to a rep over the Holiday weekend over the phone on 12/30 or 12/31 so once I was done with my move I took the equipment in person. Now I'm being billed for 26 days of service that are not available to me (last day of my cycle is the 31st). When I finally got to a "team leader" he kept repeating that optimum sent out emails notifying customers that if they canceled they would be billed through the end of the billing cycle: all because of the lagging hot-spots they provide. When I asked to change my account to internet only through the remainder of my billing cycle, I was told they couldn't do that either "it's the policy".

After I asked for the information to their corporate office I was put through to a supervisor that just kept repeating the same thing about their policy and the refusal to make any adjustments to my final bill. I was willing to pay for internet through the end of the month but they wouldn't even make that adjustment. I don't have the equipment anymore but they are charging me for 26 days of phone, internet, and cable. How is that even legal? I will be looking for open lawsuits about this. Optimum should not be allowed to operate under such unethical business practices.

Am joining the rest of the dissatisfied customers who canceled their Optimum account in the middle of a billing period, not realizing that the bill would not be pro-rated. After two carefully worded letters to the Melville, NY office, two unsatisfactory letters of denial were received. Cablevision apparently does not care about their reputation and is hurting their "goodwill" which has been tarnished by many customers. We had been loyal customers for over 20 years, but they are rigid penny wise and pound foolish. So much easier to pro-rate a bill than to have so many complaints.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

Optimum IO cable is a perfect example of highway robbery. Everything is one sided. They can jack up prices as and when they wish, change terms of the contracts without getting customers consent, etc. After having multiple rate changes (always prices going up), I decided to cut the cord and move over to FIOS. I called them on December 15, 2016 to discontinue my services. First they gave me a run around, they call it customer retention department who put undue pressure on you and make false representations, they informed me that even though the services are being terminated as of December 15, they will keep billing me until January 7, 2017! They tell me that it is a new policy and I was informed in one of my prior bills (with a fine print!). What a scam!!! Be aware of these con artists! They will get you one way or the other!

Just like any other service provider, they nickel & dime you for every little thing - even charges that customer service can't explain. God forbid you have to move, make sure you cancel the MONTH BEFORE so you're not paying for service that you don't have. Moving or canceling is a very difficult process, but customer service refuses to work with you because "the computer calculates your charges" even if they can't explain it. I did like this company, but now I refuse to ever use them again due to their sheer refusal to work with me when I had to cancel. Customer service and finance charges aside, their internet and cable are good.

I am paying for 100 Mbps but not getting more than 60 Mbps. I called the Customer Service but nothing happened. I feel that I am getting ripped off and this is an excellent case of false advertisement. I am in the process of filing complaint with FCC. I see similar complaints by other consumers but don't see any lawsuits brought against them. I am providing the steps here to file complaint with the FCC which will help other consumers who are the victims of the false advertisement.

You have multiple options for filing a complaint with the FCC:

File a complaint online. By phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322); TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322); ASL: 1-844-432-2275. By mail (please include your name, address, contact information and as much detail about your complaint as possible): Filing an Informal Complaint | Federal Communications Commission: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/filing-informal-complaint.

Prices have continued to rise over the years which is disappointing. In the process of switching to FIOS as Optimum could not match their deal. Biggest disappointment is their new policy not to prorate your bill if you cancel your service before the next billing cycle. Very disappointing policy change by the company.

I disconnected Optimum about 4 months now. There were many reasons why I switched, bill got higher, when speaking to customer service it was the worst (guess they make too much money to pay any attention to customers' needs). So 4 months later, they decide that they will come to my house to disconnect the line from the pole (now because it's on the street, I don't mind) but why come into my properly. Why come to the back of my house. It's now considered trespassing, disrespecting someone's household. When I called, it stated I had a scheduled appointment, who called me to schedule this appointment and with everything happening and people getting rob why wouldn't I worry? So I call them and guess what they don't care about past or future customers. They are making money with our without you!!!

Canceled optimum October 8th. Got a past due bill in November. I called to tell them that I had canceled and they actually owe me money. When I got another bill in December I called again. When I finally got thru because I called on my cell phone as they don't let you out of automatic payment I explained again that I had canceled over 2 months ago and was still getting billed. This guy starts going on and on about the great deals he can give me. I told him that the deals are a little late since I turned in the equipment after I canceled in October. At that point I asked to speak to a supervisor. It was a woman who seemed like she would solve this problem but I just got a call from the Sunrise collection agency lol.

Requested increase in speed for internet. The rep told us he increased in and out bill reflected the increase. Service still seemed slow. Figured out that we should run a "speed test." We were only receiving 25 out of 100 mbps. So when we called to ask what was going on they said they have to send someone out and couldn't refund us anything because it isn't part of their compensation policy. Why are they not checking for their customers after telling us we are getting a certain service? Why don't they run a speed test for you?

What kind of company is this is? How many people are being ripped off thinking they are getting something and they aren't because the average person doesn't know about these things and know about speed tests and just trust the company they been paying. I wish that there was another cable company that provided my neighborhood.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Signed up for cable, after having phone and internet for quite some time. Explained to the sales rep. what services I had elsewhere and what it would cost to have comparable with their company. I was quoted a rather competitive price so I went with it. Install day comes and I discover I don't have any premium channels or DVR services. Called and spoke to a CSR and they said, "You should've checked your email which goes over everything that was discussed on the sales call, before installation was completed." Hung up and immediately checked email, but nothing found. Oh wait a minute, I just received it an hour after the installation was complete.

Ok, here I go again, second call. CSR states that they will pull the recording and get back to me, (still waiting for that phone call) but meanwhile I should just get the services I want and if I'm still not satisfied with the product I can cancel within 30 and get a full refund. Researched other providers in the area and end up going back to old provider. Cancelled cable within that 30 day window but kept phone and internet with them as before. Called back and discussed this 30 day money back guarantee, and wait for it, denied. You have to cancel all services to get the money back, even though that is not what I was told.

But the bottom line is, this company doesn't stand by anything their employees tell you even though you make decisions based upon the information they give you. It's absurd, they have the capability to pull the recordings and stand by what an agent of their company told you but just refuse to do so. In making their decision on the refund I ask him if pulling the recordings is part of that process, and he says "No, that's not our company policy." Just a ridiculous experience and now I will be hunting for a new phone and internet provider as well.

In addition to Optimum's expensive rates and average service, Optimum no longer prorates service. I'm moving and have to cancel my service a week before my move or will have to pay a full month of service when I am no longer in the residence. This means that for a week, I will have no TV, home telephone, internet or wifi service. I have moved many times with different cable companies and have NEVER encountered this ridiculous policy before. There is no legitimate reason they cannot prorate service other than to rip people off. Moreover, I have paid for the NHL sports package which I will not be using from January through May and was told that I would not be receiving a refund for the time periods after my service is cancelled!!! Basically, they are keeping my money for a service they will not be providing. I call that theft. Do NOT pay for Optimum. They have terrible policies and customer service.

They do not stop increasing fees. They tag team the fee increases. Sometimes internet, sometimes cable boxes, sometimes their broadcast packages. They are never at a loss figuring out how to charge you more. They ARE at a loss (actually they just don't care) providing their customers with consistent, fast, affordable service. I'll be moving on. No TV would be better than any relationship with these failed used car sales people.

When I called in to cancel my service, the representative was pretty rude and said that I will be billed for the entire month as they do not prorate the charges. Most of the companies in the industry prorate and give you credit back based on the cancellation date.

Disconnected my internet, phone, and TV service today only to find out they will charge me for the entire billing cycle which is an additional 15 days; no prorating!!! Seriously? I have used other cable and satellite services in different states and this is the only THIEVING company that has done this. I filed a complaint with the FCC. If there is any attorney out there reading this, let's start a class action lawsuit against OPTIMUM. This is unconstitutional!!! I will NEVER be using them again, EVER!!!

I called today to cancel my Optimum service since I now have Verizon FIOS. The price of my Optimum service was going higher and higher and the internet was ridiculously slow. The rep offered to suddenly give me a promotional rate which would take $50 off my bill and double my internet speed. I declined since that would still be half the speed I have with Verizon. Then he informed me that I still owed them to the end of my next billing cycle, which is three weeks from now. They apparently have a policy and they don't prorate months. I've been a customer for over 20 years and this is how I get treated. I told him this is a perfect example of one of the reasons that I'm cancelling my service.

I am constantly getting dropped with their internet service at home and at my business location. Compared to Fios, you'll be getting higher ping with your internet service and this ** is getting ridiculous. I call support and I have to wait 30 mins or longer to just to speak to someone. At the end of the day, all I get from them is, "It is your equipment issue." However, I never had this issue with Verizon Fios.

I terminated my Cablevision service Nov 2, 2016 and was told I had to pay Nov 1-30, 2016 even though I am no longer connected or receiving services, due to a new policy started Sept 2016. They no longer prorate your bill. I filed a complaint with the NYS Public Service Commission that regulates utilities including cable. According to them they do not regulate corporate policies, therefore it is legal for these companies to rob us. I got a call from the corporate complaint dept at Cablevision who explained that I still could use my mobile app!!

Have been a customer of Optimum for many years. We have a seasonal home and shut off service every Fall. Bills have always been prorated. Optimum changes their policy and tells us on the day of shut off. Now they expect me to pay a month ahead for service I don't have. We shut off 5 days into the month. That's all they are getting and they are losing us as a customer.

I didn't realize that you can't call Optimum after 8 PM about billing questions. I try to explain four people died in my family and I said I'd be a day or two late to pay my bill. About 15 minutes ago they cut my service. I never had a problem in 23 years.

I signed up for Optimum Internet but not the cable or TV package. At the time of signing up apparently I was offered a 1 month free trial of HBO GO. I was not aware of the free offer, never used it and of course was not aware it was my responsibility to cancel the HBO GO service. I have been charged $14.99 now for several months. Optimum are not prepared to refund the charge so I am burdened for the cost of the HBO GO service for 3 months. This is a marketing scam and both Optimum and HBO should be embarrassed that they need to resort to these types of scams to drive business.

If you have Optimum as an internet provider you should know the following. If you pay for Ultra 50... good luck. You will only get 40mbps or less in a good day... Reason number 1, Optimum saturates the node (too many customer in the same node). They will tell you it's an issue with your cable lines in the house. When they know exactly where is the problem. They send a technician to replace the modem or router. That doesn't fix the problem and they know it. Same for Ultra 75 or Ultra 100. WITH OPTIMUM YOU WILL NEVER GET WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR!!! This year they replaced the modem and router 4 times in my house... same problem. Optimum is the worst internet provider.

I want this company to stop it with their unfair business practices. When the heck are you able to order a PPV wrestling event without calling them. They are out of their minds if they think that they can have minors in a household charge up a customer's account. Never in the 16 years at this address had I EVER ordered any PPV event. How dare they tell me they can't prove it. I shouldn't have to being a good honest customer with history of not ordering live events. Besides I feel my right have been violated. And now they told me I have to wait for a credit since I complained. Had I just taken a 1 time lifetime credit for just 1 of the unauthorized items I would have received it already but since I failed to take a partial credit I have to wait extra long for a refund. I mean really WHO DOES THIS TO PEOPLE? WTF is that representative telling that me BS.

These people are using childish unprofessional behavior to try and say they can bully their way to charge you for services NOT rendered and then MAKE YOU WAIT A LONG Time since you couldn't just settle. I had a minor in my home who is just a child. Have the ability to order stuff. This is unethical bad business. I want a large petition for reimbursement to all immediately. Everyone who got scammed from these con artists let go get our money back from these corporate crooks. Anyone who had unauthorized charged PPV events or movies purchased without Household owner approval... Join in the petition. Come now.

These cable corporate crooks... Can make you call to add a service. They can make you call to order PPV events. I will not yield to these crooks. I am looking to stream my TV elsewhere, because it is highway robbery to be paying $169.00 every month for TV. Which used to be FREE. They devised this plan so one day all had to pay. Okay but when you charge me for something that we did NOT order, DID NOT watch, and ESPECIALLY did NOT get any consent from me you will not charge me. Crooked cable company. You're going down!!!!!

I had to call Optimum to ask for old wire removal from previous owner (and new service after that). I called 4 times and first time they said they will call back and never did. 2nd time, person transferred to "the department in charge" after half an hour wait. That person made an appointment within 2 days, I was happy when he set the appointment 11-2 pm. He told me I have to be at home during that time and they will call us before they come so I waited staying home for half day waiting but nobody showed up nor called. At 7:45 pm on that night, there was voicemail left by "unknown" number saying they couldn't work because nobody at home. That is clear lie. Also they should call with caller ID of Optimum, at least number showed up. Who would like to pick up "unknown" especially at night!

I called back the number immediately. This time (3rd) that person (customer service in Connecticut) also lied they came today but nobody was home and phone call was not answered. He said there is a report that the service person called my number even though he knew the call was made 7:43 pm for 11-2 appointment. Then, the person rescheduled me on Sunday 10-8. Excuse me, 10 am to 8 pm? He said yes and told me if I don't pick up the phone and if I'm not at home (from 10-8), they don't work (even though it was removal of the wire outside). I waited. I was there all day waiting. Then again, Nobody called, nobody ringed the doorbell.

Obviously I was so frustrated (who wouldn't?) so I called next day (Monday) and the customer service Maggy. She said somebody was already there and took care of the job (it wasn't) and they had no need to call us or ring the doorbell as it was outside. Thank you for wasting my whole Sunday for you guys! Btw I had to repeat all the information and situation from the start as she couldn't pull out the information from phone number nor address. After I talked with 5 people at Optimum, I concluded everybody at Optimum was so incompetent, unprofessional and dishonest. They say different things every time! They ruin and waste customer's time and don't even care. Even though we need new cable, we would never ever use Optimum. Optimum lost a new customer due to incredibly poor management.

On Monday (10/17/16) I switched to Verizon FIOS as my cable bill kept rising and Cablevision/Optimum was unwilling to offer discounts when I called a few months back. Today I called to cancel services as I needed to wait 3 days from 10/7 to allow time for the porting of my phone number to my new provider. Apparently on 10/10/16 (7 days ago) Optimum changed their billing policy to not issue credit for unused days remaining in the billing cycle. I'm sure people often switch back to a prior provider for various reasons (as I have done twice before) but by their greed of not stopping services immediately and issuing a credit for unused days, they assuredly will not see me returning as a customer. It's amazing that a company can get away with this without the customer signing something to acknowledge and agree to it. Greed gets you nowhere Optimum. Shame, shame, shame.

After being an Optimum TV/Internet and Phone customer for 8 years I cancelled my subscription due to fee hikes that were intolerably large and too expensive for my budget as well as rude customer service. When cancelling my services, 5 days into the billing cycle, I was told that I would still be charged for all services for the remainder of the month regardless of disconnecting all services, cancelling my account and returning all hardware.

In all prior instances, with other providers I have been pro-rated for the usage of the month while my account was active, and once my service was disconnected I was no longer billed for the month. I think after all these years of loyal business relations with Optimum that being charged for 25 days of usage after cancelling my service is unacceptable and should be illegal. How is it fair for a corporation to charge you for something when you are not even using it?! I do not want to pay for services that I am not using any longer and neither should anyone else, ever. FRAUDULENT AND UNSYMPATHETIC TO LOYAL CUSTOMERS!

I am a customer of Optimum that has chosen paperless billing, which is encouraged, in efforts to "go green" and reduce the amount of paper used. I receive two emails a month. One that notifies me of my available statement, and one that notifies me when my payment is received. In the first email is a link to my statement. I can see my current statement, and any previous statements. I can see full account details, and even important notifications, such as the one listed on my August statement. When I click on the notification, it takes me to a PDF of recent changes to channels and pricing. Nowhere in any statement does it indicate that there has been a change to policy that affects my rights.

I only learned of this change when I called Optimum to cancel my service, as I am moving on October 31st. After a very long conversation and going through my statement line by line, the assistant on the phone still could not understand why I was not seeing the policy change notification. I then clicked on the upper right hand button that says "to save or print bill as PDF". PLEASE NOTE that nowhere, on my statement does it says that this is necessary. In addition, nowhere does it say that there is VITAL INFORMATION ON THE PDF VERSION THAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE ELECTRONIC VERSION. This is where I discovered that Optimum keeps information from its customers. Optimum includes information in a printable version of the bill that is purposely NOT included in the electronic version, nor is there any indication that I should print a version of my statement because of this additional information.

When I did click to print my statement, I saw the policy change notification. I also noticed an included LINK within this notice that takes me to: https://optimum.net/billingchange. This important link describes how my rights are affected as a customer in nowhere to be found, anywhere else on my profile. If I were to "print" out my statement, there would be no need for a clickable link... so it is deliberate that a link is provided in a PDF version of my bill that is only intended for saying or printing... meaning that a customer who uses paperless billing and online billing would have to somehow KNOW to click on "print" then see a link provided and click on that link to get information that affects their rights. This is the most inconvenient and intentionally suspicious way to notify customers of this kind of information. Unfortunately, this is not the only cause for my complaint.

I also wish to complain about the policy itself. I refuse to pay for a service that I cannot even use, which is what your policy does. I need to move out of my current home on the 31st of this month, October 2016. I am forced by Optimum to pay for service through November 22nd, but I will be unable to USE THIS SERVICE after the 31st, because I will not be LOCATED in the location that I am paying service for. Forcing customers to pay for a product or service that they cannot and will not use is abusive. The only option I would have had is to change my billing cycle, which I am unable to do at this short notice. In fact, for the entire year of using Optimum, my billing cycle had nothing to do with my need to cancel my service, until now. I was "notified", i.e. information was hidden from me and then used against me, since now I am unable to make the appropriate changes to save me from paying for a service that I cannot use.

If Optimum was a company that cared deeply for the satisfaction of their customers, they would see the error that was made on the company's part, and would do everything possible to rectify this. For our situation, we would be given the opportunity to ONLY pay for service used, i.e. from October 19th to the 31st. We would not be penalized by having to pay for a whole billing cycle. Please note that I will try to take the necessary action to make our experience with Optimum publicly known and will seek local legal assistance with this matter. Optimum has a choice to help us to avoid a much longer and tedious process by simply allowing us to pay for only the service that we will use.

Especially, that was the reason why we signed up in the first place for Optimum. Allowing customers as all providers do, to cancel their service whenever they want. You always pay for the service you use. We understand if they first ask you to pay the entire monthly bill and receive a later day the credit for the days we couldn't use the service. But unfortunately that is not the case. We unfortunately don't have the option of such choice. The choice we had when we signed up for Optimum.

TO RECAP. We only can cancel our service based on our billing cycle. A billing cycle we have no option to change. Our installation date was October 16th, 2015 but because of their internal system, they moved us to the 21st of each month. Without notifying their customer of this CRUCIAL change of policy by email or alert in the account profile, we have no option that to go by their change of rules. This cannot be justice. Even if we found the hidden notification on the bill, we still had to wait 2 months before we can effectively change our billing cycle to the first day of the month. Current customer or customers who thinking to choose optimum... BE AWARE WHAT KIND OF COMPANY YOU ARE ABOUT TO DEAL.

We have been calling and complaining for months now about losing dvr service at night, constantly being kicked the Internet and losing phone services. After months of going back and forth, them changing the lines in the house, each one saying it was the previous tech fault, changing the lines outside my apt and down the entire block, changing out our router to their router, having the electric company come out and repair their wires etc, etc, etc. Now I'm being told that the reason it doesn't work between midnight and 4 am is that is when they run maintenance. I asked if they run it every night. "Well no the other times are probably just outages in your area again almost every night". Well no.

So I found a website to file a complaint with the FCC (you can do this as long as it is a bundle). So anyone having a problem with service at Optimum can go on to consumercomplaints.fcc.com go to phone TV Internet file complaint. Fill out your info/complaint form. They contact Optimum corporate and follow up to make sure the issues are handled. I Never knew this before so I will be posting this on whatever social media pages I can think of.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.
  • Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.
  • Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.
  • Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.
  • Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.
  • Best for Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers