Optimum IO Cable

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Called in to cancel the service on the 10th of a month, where the billing cycle starts from the 1st calendar day of a month. Optimum refused to refund for the unused 20 days of service. They changed the terms & conditions sometime in 2016 and never notified customers in a meaningful way. They said the new T&C is in the bill sent to customers, but why should customers be expected to read the T&C every time they receive a bill? Ditched them, and will never return to Optimum.

We moved here recently from California, had Comcast there (thought it was so-so), and didn't have the option to continue with them here. Optimum has been nothing but disappointing--from initial billing issues, the inability to ever get someone live on the phone unless I "trick the system" and act as a new customer, to the multiple times we lose WiFi, and have to simply unplug the cords in order to reset it. So annoying, and can't imagine the issues I would encounter if I worked from home, or was always watching TV, or trying to use the internet. I feel sorry for those folks. Again, Optimum sucks and stay clear!! Bring Comcast (never thought I'd say that) to our area!

As many have complained, I am having the same issue - being charged for a month of services even though I have disconnected the services. I disconnected on 05/04/17 and is expected to pay for the entire month of May. I will not. I have filed a complaint with the NYS AG. I suggest everyone to do the same. Here are the links to file a complaint: https://ag.ny.gov/complaint-forms, https://forms.ag.ny.gov/CIS/consumer-complaints.jsp.

Just as many have mentioned, I am being billed for an entire month even though I cancelled my service at the beginning of the month. Optimum billed me for the month of March 1-31st, when I cancelled and returned the equipment on March 7th. They pro-rated my telephone part of the bill, but not the internet and TV. They claim it is stated on the last page of the bill that I am responsible for the entire month. I have spoken to them several times and get the same answer that I am responsible for the bill. This is outrageous and something needs to be done to stop them from stealing from people. I told them one reason I signed up with them was because there was no contract and I could cancel anytime. Well they failed to mention about their billing practice. I don't know how to solve this and don't know if there is a class action suit against them, but I'd appreciate any advise on what to do now.

My bill cycle ended yesterday April 30. I called customer service today just to see if there was a promotion since I am paying too much for Internet (60 Mbps) for $74.00 and I was told that the current promotion didn't apply in my case. The current promotion is 89.99 for the 3 services. They couldn't lower my bill but they tried to sell me the 3 services for $ 125.00. Crazy. I told them that I prefer to cut my service and yes they do that but I have to pay them the next month because the bill was done already. Even though I have returned the router and modem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

Call CS due to some channels disappearing that I had for years and years, was told "Oops sorry" for most 1 or 2 said "Sorry we changed your package. If you want you need to upgrade." Then they say "I can give you a year of free DVR to ease your pain," of course I say ok. Fast forward 18 months or so I look at my auto pay history and see they started charging 15 bucks a month. After 12 months I call to complain.

I NEVER AUTHORISED IN ANY WAY AN UPGRADE. So reimburse me, told no can do, I ask to speak to management and again told no can do... "THIS IS NOT AN ESCALATABLE ISSUE" makes you DESPISE AND WISH EVIL ON THIS COMPANY. OMG what dirt bags, they get away with murder. Unbelievable. PS While I'm at it... Was late on the bill one time way back, did not even know it so rather they notify me of the oversight. After like 20 years of never missing a payment for 2 or 3 different accounts they turn off my video, turn off my Internet Access, charge me $15 for each service to turn it back on. Unbelievable!!!

THEY ARE STEALING HARD EARN MONEY FROM CUSTOMERS!! I called several time to inquire about terminating my service because of the outrageous fee which continue to increase. I was informed to cancel at any time with no fees charges because I had no contract. The representative never offered a better rate. Now Optimum is continuing to BILL me for a full month's worth of service after I told then I switched. They now offered me a deal which I refused and for 3 DAY later into the month I have to pay a full month of service... How sad that you cannot keep customers and have to rip people to survive. It was very unethical not to informed the customers about the ending deadline to cancel service and then expect them to pay for a month of service not provided. I had them for over a decade and will never use them again. I spoke with the supervisor, Omar to tried to rectify the situation, no resolution at this time.

This people are literally the worst I have ever seen. I have a 2 family house and requested the service one year ago for the first floor apartment, but it was installed in reality on the second floor. I then rented that unit to another person that also opened an account. What they did was to immediately cancelled my service just because another account was opened. They didn't call me to ask any question, didn't ask my tenant for proof of residency. My account was in good standing and there were no reason for cancellation. I had to call numerous time to find out what was going. They charged my account $180 for equipment and disconnected my service with the excuse that two accounts can't be open in the same address. Instead of them confirming with me what was going on if I moved, if there were a mistake with the address, etc. they just went ahead.

After numerous calls and hours wasted on the phone, they were supposedly going to fix the problem. What they did now was to transfer my tenant's account to my name in the first floor and leave my real account disconnected. Now, I was going to be responsible to pay my tenant's service while I didn't have any. This is retarded and ridiculous, no call to confirm these changes and no proof of tenancy requested. How you can simply disconnect a current customer because someone else call? Without asking for any proof or not even calling your current customer?

I cancelled my Optimum Triple Play on 3/22. I had previously paid my bill for the time from 3/14-4/14. I returned all my equipment on the 22nd of March at their service center in Nanuet. I explained to the customer service clerk that I was changing to FIOS and I asked how the company handled their refund since I had paid for the time up to 4/14. I was told they credit me a prorated amount after charging me for the days I used which would have been through the 22nd. Well a few days later I received an email saying my account would be credited $12 for the prorated portion of the phone part of the bill but there is no refund for the TV or Internet portion and they bill me the full month. I asked how can they be charging me for the TV and Internet when I returned the equipment and can't access these services.

They told me they sent out a notice to all customers in October of 2016 telling them they will be billed the full month even if they end service prior to their month being up. I spoke to customer service 4 times and was told this is how they do things so I said again how can you charge me for something I dont have ability to use due to fact you have all my equipment that I returned. They are ripping off the customer and charging everyone for full month on TV and Internet but crediting the phone portion of the bill. I was told by supervisor that when returning equipment the customer service rep is suppose to tell the customer they will be billed until end of their billing cycle. First off that doesn't make it right and secondly I was told by the customer service rep that I would be credited the prorated amount for days not used. The whole process is rip off of the customer.

I have had cable TV (Optimum) for 5+ years and I only have the basic package paying $160.00 and now they want to raise it to $175.00. Their explanation to the price increase is due to my package deal expiring. Which I think is absolutely ludicrous, why? Because they're raising the price and there haven't been any improvements made to the service. So what's the price increase for? Optimum along with all the other cable companies will soon be obsolete, because there are so many other options out there, so if they were smart they would start figuring out a way to re-invent their services. Cable TV is dead!!! I will soon be cancelling my cable service only keeping internet service. All other services like movies or sports etc. Can easily be acquired through the Internet, it’s easier than most think.

Optimum charged $80 for the faulty splitter provided by Optimum. We pay monthly fee for using Optimum devices. Optimum says it is customer responsibility and should take have taken protection plan. Before scheduling the service appointment same question was asked - if it is Optimum related there is no fee associated with it. Later after service, service charges are send to customer. It is insane.

I'm done with Optimum. Their DVR feature never worked when you needed it to. I couldn't use their free wifi hotspots (for whatever reason... too slow). I had enough. I canceled my service today 4/20/17. I asked what my pro-rated bill would be? My bill of $153.46 would have been for service for 4/16-5/15. Since I cancelled service on 4/20 (5 days within billing period) my bill should be pro-rated. They told me, "NO!" They said it doesn't matter, I would still have to pay for the advance month. Who in their right mind pays for service they don't have anymore? This is clearly illegal. I am willing to pay a prorated rate for the 5 days of use. But if Optimum insist otherwise, then that's legal action. I've noticed several people on their forum share similar complaints. I plan to file a class action lawsuit if anyone would like to join me, if Optimum insist in charging people for services they no longer have.

My mother was scheduled today for a tech to come out to bring a new cable box. The time was from 11-2pm. No show. Then she got a call saying the tech will be out between 2-5. No tech. Then I called and they put in again from 5-8pm. No tech. Then someone calls and tell my mother she needs to reschedule for tomorrow because the tech lied and said he came and never did.

They are very unprofessional. I asked for credit and they gave me a hard time. I took off from work for no one to show up. I think it's very sad how they treat people. It's outrageous how they charging sky high prices without notifying they customers. Something needs to be done about them because it's really out of control with them.

For internet service I purchased my own cable modem. Regardless Optimum is keep charging me for cable modem rental fee. Now they think the modem I paid for is their property. Horrible, rude and useless support. Be aware.

I called ask about a rate increase I received a letter about. The letter said my promotion was about to end. First, I do not have a contract. 2nd, I never signed up for a promotion. They said my bill will increase by $15/mo. They told me I called in Feb and added on-demand channels, which is untrue. They said I ordered Disney on demand, TMC on Demand and some other on Demand channel. I did not order anything. I am a 70-year-old who has no interest in Disney on demand. When I tried telling the associate that I was not on "a promotion" she keep cutting me off and got very snotty and rude with me. I am looking for a new cable/phone/internet provider. I am not going to pay $200/mo to be abused!

I opened an internet account and they provide me with phone service for free, but I am not using. And one day I see I got charged from it, I called them to cancel and ask back my Money but they don't want to refund me.

Similar to many other reviews here Optimum raise my bill by $50.00 a month. When I called to cancel they told me I was one day late and missed the cut off of the billing cycle. I canceled, contacted the BBB and requested to have the bill prorated for service used. They told me there was nothing they can do. I proceeded to make my February and March payments ($50) because I was upset about being billed $280 for one day of cable. It is outrageous and unfair. Today I got a call from a collection agency telling me I'm in collects for not paying the bill in a timely fashion??? I would not recommend optimum and will never go back...

Same complaint as many others. We cancelled service on February 2nd, and returned all equipment on February 3rd. Optimum is still trying to charge us until the end of the month! Charging for services not rendered. Isn't this illegal?

Optimum increased prices for their services and when I called to cancel they refused to cancel until a month later (on 04/15/17 to be exact). I do not want their service for the amount of money they asking for (I am simply don't have it) and do not want it anymore. I do not have any contract with them. What should I do to make them cancel the service that I am not able to afford and do not want? Is it lawful that they trying to force me to stay with them and pay for the service I don't need and want to cancel?

Stealing money for services that were never used. Optimum is continuing to BILL me for a month's worth of service that I never used because I went into the store a DAY later than when I should have. I have been on the phone with customer service and have been to optimum myself. BOTH were very unpleasant experiences. I was on the phone CRYING at one point. Yes, it was only $70 dollars BUT I am currently homeless and do not have these funds, especially for a service I was not using for that last month.

THEY ARE RAPING PEOPLE OF THEIR MONEY! No credibility, no reasoning, no empathy! Like many of the people on this review blog, if I could give Optimum a NEGATIVE review I WOULD! They deserve NO STARS! This should be reported to every news station and Optimum should go down for this. I feel so sorry for the sweet reps they have working for them over the phone. If I was one of them, I would contemplate suicide at the end of every shift because the number of customer complaints is SERIOUS! I WANT MY UNJUST BILL CLEARED.

This new cancellation policy is completely wrong and unfair. I moved out of my apt and attempted to cancel my internet service. I was informed that I was 2 days after the billing cycle so I must pay for another FULL month. Apparently a letter was sent out notifying customers of this change and it was my responsibility to know my billing date and cancel prior to that, otherwise pay a full month for 2 days of service. Problem for me is I work online, so I needed my service up until the day I left. So my only choice is to pay for a full month service to get those 2 days...

No pro rating? How is that legal? I am no longer using your service. I want to cancel and be prorated for the month I'm not using. Sorry this is no longer possible... I wonder how much extra revenue this company is getting from this tactic. How many customers actually know that they must cancel before the billing date or be billed for an entire month? It can't be that many...

I have a similar story as many of the previous posts. After raising my rate by 25%, I cancelled my service and switched to FIOS. Unbeknownst to me was that Optimum unilaterally changed their billing policy after the Altice takeover in Oct 2016 to make their customers responsible for the entire month's bill, regardless of when in the cycle the customer cancelled. I was only 4 days into the next billing cycle and am being billed for the entire month (they did however, prorate only the small telephone portion of the bill, probably because of local laws). I got nowhere pleading my case to two different Optimum reps on the phone and one was very sympathetic, but said that they are forbidden from doing anything about it. I even wrote a letter appealing to their sense of fairness and got back a very impersonal form letter just reiterating that the charges are correct.

I was not disputing whether or not they were correct. I was questioning if they were fair and reasonable! I contacted the NYS Public Service Commission, which is jurisdiction over cable TV providers and they told me that since deregulation, there is nothing they can do about it. I am very tempted to not pay them and let it go to collections. Has anyone done this? If so, what was the outcome?

Lousy product, incompetent service. Basically, the internet cuts in and out all the time. We've taken time out of our weekends and/or work schedules to have techs come out to fix the issue, and nothing changed after their visits. Over the last month or so, the problem has gotten so bad that having a consistent internet connection without losing service for 10 minutes or so is an anomaly. Their response: "Your internet connection is fine, but if you'd like we can schedule a tech to come out and test your connection."

Brilliant idea, that worked so well the last couple of times. While internet service in general is fairly expensive, before my experiences with Optimum, with all of them at least the service was reliable. With Optimum, not only is the service terrible and inconsistent, they lack the ability to provide the service they are charging me for. They simply don't know what to do/how to fix it, other than to give a scripted, apathetic response. I have done as much as I can myself, reset the router, unplug everything and plug back in, etc. to no avail. Anyone that is considering internet service and has another option, whatever it is, go with it. Otherwise, you risk throwing your money away on an unreliable service to a company that doesn't know how to correct it.

If I could give them negative stars I would! My billing cycle ended 12/22, I called and cancelled my services on 12/22. I returned all equipment on that day. Fast forward to 2 months later and they have sent my account to debt collection for unpaid services. The unpaid services are for 12/23-1/22 when I didn't even have the equipment/services in my house! How they can just decide to charge you a full month for services you do not have is beyond me and then send it to collections is ridiculous. And when you call them everyone is an idiot and cannot explain why this is. They told me had I called a few days earlier then I wouldn't have been charged... Does this make sense to anyone? As far as I'm concerned I paid through the time I had the services... story done. They are crooks and I refuse to pay them a penny more for goods/services that I did not use.

I recently switched cable TV, phone and internet providers. I returned all of my Optimum equipment on 2-22-17 and asked the woman to terminate my service. She said ok and asked me if I was moving or switched providers. I stated that I switched providers. She handed me a receipt for the equipment and I asked if my service was cancelled and she stated "yes", never mentioning the end of cycle policy.

The following day I received an email from Optimum stating that my service was cancelled effective March 15, 2017 and that I would be billed until then. I reached out to Optimum customer service who stated that this was their new policy that they only cancel service at the end of a billing cycle. I stated that I was unaware of this new policy and that I shouldn't have to pay for something for an additional 21 days that I wasn't using. Basically I was told there was nothing I could do about it and nobody could help me further. I will prorate the bill and pay them what I owe and nothing more. They can take me to court for the rest. Optimum/Cablevision was recently purchased by Altice USA and since then prices have increased, customer service decreased and policies changed that adversely affect the consumer. Be aware folks. Be very aware.

I've been a customer of Optimum/Cablevision for 20 years and called today to get my service disconnected and was told I will be charged through the end of my billing cycle of March 14, which is 3 weeks from now. Optimum does not service my new house and I will be unable to use my billed service through March 14, 2017. Obviously being a long time customer means nothing to these people. And I quote from Jeff in Retention and two other representatives as we were transferred from one department to another "it's like rent, you have to pay through the end of the cycle, just like a month's rent." Well OPTIMUM we are done and I will never use you again and hopefully I will get this information out to as many people as I know, and maybe just maybe this company will be reminded of what customer service is about and stop ripping off ex-customers to make profit.

Last year they turned off my cable service without notice because they said "there was a leak in the cable". Cut me off right in the middle of a video conference with clients. I even saw the techs out on the pole. They never came to the door, called me, or emailed. Just cut the line and left. When I contacted customer support they had such a "Who cares about your business" attitude. It took 3 days to get techs back out to fix the "leak". The techs told me they were surprised since it was so marginal... they even showed me the meter reading. It was barely a blip. A few weeks later they rewarded me for being a long time loyal customer by raising my rates. You get to pay ~$50/month more than a new customer. DirecTV, here I come. I warned you Optimum, and you told me there was nothing you could do. Until after I called to disconnect. Too late! They didn't learn.

Leo **, an Optimum sales person came to my house on numerous occasions to try and sell us a cheaper package. My wife wisely sent him away. When he came back I decided to hear him out. Leo outright lied to me about the rate I'd be getting. I was reasonably happy with my other provider and would only switch for a much cheaper deal. He sold me on a cable package with less channels than I had previously because of the rate. I specifically asked him if that included all taxes and fees and he said that it did. It was a lie. I'm now paying one dollar per month cheaper for fewer channels and slower internet. I called to complain and they won't honor the deal we agreed on. Leo ** is a creep and I can't even get a supervisor on the phone. The grass isn't always greener.

My husband completed an online application for Optimum 200, Gold TV and Phone. The price quoted was cheaper than what we are already paying with Optimum. Nowhere on the website is it listed for "New Customers Only". We were emailed an order summary, confirmation number and Cart ID number as well as a time when the service would be performed. After 30 minutes past the 3 hour window given, I CALLED THEM. Only then was I informed that we did not qualify for the deal. 4 service reps, 57 minutes later I was told that the order confirmation was generated automatically but no one could answer why we weren't Flagged as existing customers and received no email or phone call to alert us the service would not be performed.

Waited 3 and a half hours for a guy to show up, wasted another 57 minutes on the phone and as far as customer loyalty is concerned, they HAVE NONE. Their attitude is "we'll take $10 a month off your bill but you'll still not get the deal for Optimum 200, Gold TV and Phone", despite the fact that I have an order confirmation number etc for the package offered. So don't waste your time thinking they give a ** about customers. THEY DON'T.

Unfair and shady billing practices. I have dealt with Optimum for several years and they have no problem prorating services when you are starting with them but to leave their region, they hold you basically hostage. I gave them a date to end our service but since it was 3 days past their billing cycle, I was charged the full month. They also did not get the correct date and cut my TV, internet and phone service a week early. They also refused to allow me to take my home phone number with me to my new service because it was technologically impossible. I have to pay the remaining 3 weeks because I am liable due to a change in their billing cycle that was announced to all customers on the 3rd page of the Oct, 2016 bill. Customers should have been notified of this change by a separate letter or put the announcement on the first page of the bill, not hidden on the 3rd page. People, READ your BILL.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.
  • Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.
  • Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.
  • Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.
  • Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.
  • Best for Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers