1.26/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

618 Optimum IO Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had an appointment scheduled for a technician to come in between the hours of 5-8pm and received a confirmation e-mailed the day before. The day the technician is supposed to arrive rolls around and no one ever showed up! I waited for hours before finally giving Optimum a call at 8pm. I really tried giving them the benefit of the doubt. The woman told me my appointment was 2 days from now and that someone had called in at 2:49pm to reschedule my appointment. Mind you - I live alone and no one even knew about this appointment.

So basically someone at Optimum decided to reschedule my appointment and made it look like I did it. I have a confirmation email with proof stating that I had my appointment scheduled for when I stated I did and no emails past that. It's just absolutely ridiculous that they decided not to show up at the only time I was available. I would give them negative stars if I could.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have been a customer of Cablevision/Optimum/Altice for many years. I had the Altice One installed because I had issues with the internet and was promised a great WiFi with the new system. Three technicians later, the system was connected and I was looking forward to a great experience. However, this system while providing me with a great WiFi coverage, is not working as well as I was expecting. The DVR is not working most of the time and that affects the quality of the service I was expecting for the price I pay. I called customer service and after a “short” wait of about two hours, I was told that the interruptions in service are due to the fact that I don’t have smart TVs. This is ridiculous because they sell the Altice One by stating that it makes your TV smart. I guess not. She said my option was to go back to the old system, but not get my installation fee back, or buy smart TVs. I am considering the option to move to Verizon.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I switched from Fios to Optimum in mid-2018 in order to reduce my monthly charges, but I'm beginning to think I made the wrong move. They initially were installing traditional cable equipment but the technician arrived with Altice boxes. I have had nothing but trouble with these and would not recommend them to anyone. Internet has been spotty and the wifi extenders are like a different wifi address. So when you move from one end of the house to the other you have to sign off one network and sign into another.

Horrible design and not true wifi extensions coming from the Altice minis (the boxes attached to other TVs in your house). So not that it's enough that I have had internet issues but now I had to place my 3rd service call in 3 months today as my televisions can't be viewed due to extreme pixelling. The switch to Optimum to save a few bucks each month wasn't worth the hassles I've experienced. A switch to another provider I'm afraid is imminent.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had my Samsung cable boxes upgraded to the new Altice service. The tech was running late but called multiple times to let me know. They then sent a different tech. He was excellent! Our conversion was not simple as the primary modem was being relocated to the other side of the house. Our TV and wifi was up and running very quickly. We kept the old modem until I could run a telephone line to the new location. (now complete). The one thing I never took into consideration was that by changing to a new WIFI ALL of our smarthouse components and computers, printers, thermostats cameras etc. connected to our WIFI had to be re-educated. This took me a few days.

Fortunately I have some techno knowledge because I don't believe that Optimum would do all of that. Finally the last bit was switching the phone line to the new Altice box. I did this via a chat line with one of their techs. All is well at the moment. The network is significantly faster than the old one. The only reason I did not give them 5 stars is it would have been nice to have a heads up about the changes I had to make.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I've had nothing but headaches with their service. 5 different technicians and 5 different lies. Not to mention the lies customer service tells you just to get you off the phone. I've had nothing but trouble with my internet. Every night no service... It's very frustrating. Again having issues tonight and been on hold now for over 2 hours and still waiting and will not hang up until I get a live person. While holding for them I've done some research and I think I will give Frontier a try. Optimum is very UNPROFESSIONAL and full of wasted time on the phone and long waits for a tech to come check the problem.

Always in a rush when they are here except for 1 who was trying hard to resolve my issue and his boss called him to tell him of was after 8 pm and he will not be getting paid. He told him he could not leave until my equipment was working and issue resolved and then I heard the technician say, "Well then punch me out." He was very nice and had everything working prior to leaving and that lasted 3 days before going down again. Still waiting on phone for a rep and it's been 2 hours and 15 mins. I'm refusing to hang up...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I went to pay my bill online as I do every month on time. Not remembering that I had closed an account that was a funding option to pay my bill, I submitted and realized my mistake immediately. I searched for a cancel button but it is not offered. I paid bill again with correct account to be ensure payment made. I chatted with agent and he helped by indicating that it could not be reversed and not to worry about any fees since I had paid. Lo and behold, I got a fee notice for $20 for a return check. Called and could truly care less and would not issue a courtesy refund after 18 years with them and never a fee reversed or late payment. $20! Wow. I felt like a true valued customer Optimum. You did great! The first chance I get I will close my account.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been a customer for over thirty years and I am absolutely disgusted with the service I have been dealing with since Saturday of last week. I currently moved to a new home and obviously wanted to keep doing business with Optimum. However it’s been impossible to get a technician to come to my current home to fix my phone and internet service. However I have been without service since Saturday. I was first set up for a 5pm-8pm appointment and no one ever showed up. Never even received a call or message regarding the no-show or rescheduling information.

The level on irresponsibility and rudeness I received was horrific. I called customer service once again to book another appointment for today from 11am-2pm and again same situation happened. The technician even told me I would be charged $80 penalty if no one is home... While on the phone with the person I'm told the appointment was never set up. I’m done with this company and will be taking my business to Verizon.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Optimum internet service was installed at my home. I did the request online and got the service installed but immediately the wifi was almost non-existent. I called Optimum to complain and downgraded my service from $60 something of intermittent wifi to $55. After a week of been aggravated I got other service installed. I called Optimum to disconnect my service and they refused to do so. I spoke with Nisha who refused to disconnect my service, when I asked to be transferred to a supervisor she transferred me to billing. Billing transferred me back to disconnection where I got Vonetta employee number ** who was rude, arrogant and brash! A simple disconnection because the service sucks but I had to endure such awful service from their rep.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Updated on 01/15/2019: In my previous review I wrote how I was quoted one price of $114.95 by 4 different Optimum Representatives this past December including a supervisor but received a bill a couple of days ago for $120.84. As I said I would I called the next day I and explained the problem and was put on hold. The rep apologized and said that I would only have to pay $84 on my next bill and get a $15 discount for $99 a month for a year after that. I was shocked! I said 'you're telling me I'll only need pay $84 January 29th?' He said yes. I asked to be sent an email to confirm this offer. After hanging up I thought 'man this is too good to be true,' and it was.

The Email reflected the $99 discount but not the $84 offer. Their website had the original $120.84 but neither the $84 nor the $99 discounts. Their phone menu also had the $120.84 balance. I called and talked to yet another agent. She said 'yes you'll receive the $99 discount but it won't take effect until the $120.84 is paid.' I said Oh no! I told her about the $84 offer. She said she didn't know where the $84 came from stating I had to pay the $120.84. I said "I will not."

Before I could ask for a supervisor I was put on hold. She came back and said they would investigate and speak with the agent I spoke with. I told them to also look at the Dec 7th bill is paid for $114.95, with no taxes. They're supposed to call me within 24 hours. I told them I will pay no more than the $114.95 originally agreed upon. If they say no I will cancel. I'll post another update as soon as I can. As I'm writing this, I also I was thinking is it possible that I misheard the rep say $120.84 and mistook hearing the $0.84 as $84? If so I'll own up to the mistake but I don't think that's the case. Even if it is I still will not pay more than $114.95 per month. We'll see.

Original Review: Where do I start? Well first let me say that the old saying 'those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it' is so true. I had been a customer with Optimum for 16 years and 8 years before that when I partnered with someone else so about 24 years in all. The trouble started when I came back to Optimum around the first week of December 2018. After having financial problems in 2017 Optimum terminated my cable.

It took me a year to pay it off. For over a year I used an over-the-air antenna. It was good but it wasn't like cable. When I decided to get some type of TV and internet again I checked out many other providers: Sling TV, Dish Network Skinny Package, DirecTV Now Fubo, YouTube; you name it. All of them cheap. But I decided to go with the one that I knew.

I opted for the $74 package because it has the channels that I like to watch. With taxes and fees it came to $101. After talking with the representative they tried to get me to go with Triple Play for $124. I said, "No. I couldn't do that because it's too much." So they dropped it to $114.95. I said no again but after talking with them for a while, I said okay. It's only $13 more. I'll pull my purse strings tight and try to see if I can swing that. I asked them over and over again, "Would my monthly bill ever be over $114.95" because their website said if I ordered online installation would be free.

They tried to tack on the installation fee but after the rep spoke with the supervisor the fee was waived. I then asked again "unless I get add-ons or pay-per-view can you assure me I'm not going to ever be charged more than $114.95 a month, next month or six months from now?" They said "that's right." Two weeks later I get a $32 Bill! I called them and they started talking about billing cycles and whatnot. I said, "Okay. I understand that but I was reassured numerous times that I would never have to pay more than $114.95. I felt like I was being deceived."

I said to the representative the previous rep should have told me I would receive a $32 bill or if not that a bill would be coming before my first or next month payment when I asked him at least 3 or 4 times. So finally I said, "You know what? It's close to Christmas and I don't want anyone getting into trouble for not being upfront with me so I'll go ahead and pay the $32" but I asked "are you sure after I pay this $32 bill I won't have to pay more than the monthly amount of $114.95?" He assured me that I would not. Fast forward to today January 13th 2019. The Wi-Fi goes bad. I can't cast my phone to the TV. So I call in and tell the representative the problem and he does analysis on my box from the office, resets it, factory resets it, you name it and he did it.

After about 15-20 minutes or so without any success he tells me that I would need a new Altice One box because it is faulty. It has to be replaced. (Here's something else. Initially I never knew that I was getting the Altice One box until the installation guy came. I was under the impression I was getting a Legacy box. After calling in about it they said, "Try it and see if it works" and if not they will replace it with the Legacy box. I did for about a month but I digress). Now the phone rep specifically said that the box needed to be replaced not that it MIGHT need replacing when the technician arrives to check it out.

I asked the rep on at least 3 separate occasions, "Will I be charged?" He said no all 3 times. Again he stated the box must be replaced. We say our goodbyes and I hang up. Okay later that night I get an email and a voicemail from Optimum saying that if their technician comes out and doesn't find a problem with the box or the wiring outside but it's from inside the house there's going to be an $80 charge! I called again and spoke with someone and she told me the technician has to do a Hands-On analysis of the equipment to see if there is a problem.

I say to her but "what if he doesn't find a problem after the rep on the phone specifically said that the problem is the box and must be swapped with another one?" She tells me 'then you may be charged $80." I said "no, no". I was told over the phone that the fault is, not could be with the Altice One modem and will be replaced. I said he should have told me that it was going to be a $80 charge if they don't find a problem with their equipment. We went back and forth for about a half an hour. So at the possibility of them finding a problem even if it is only a 1% chance I canceled and said I'll go with what I have and if the problem persists maybe in a month or so if I have $80 I'll get the situation remedied because the Wi-Fi is still working and so is the TV. We hang up.

Okay so later that night I'm finally able to view my bill online for next month and it's $120.84! What! I checked my bill online and see that there's $5.89 in taxes. How can this be when I specifically asked 4 different representatives will my monthly bill "Ever" be over $114.95 and they all told me NO? So I feel I've been deceived on 3 or 4 different occasions. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out what's the deal with these taxes that I was never told about.

I tell you I've had more problems with billing in the last 5 weeks with Optimum than I've had the entire 16 years that I was with them before. I'm going to find out when the billing cycle begins and ends and for all intents and purposes I may cancel and go back to over the air TV. I didn't get near the channels that cable has but I had no headaches, or bills. Or if not back to OTA try and get a cheaper provider, contract or no contract. I didn't get near the channels that cable has but I had no headaches, or bills.

I must say though that these last 5 weeks were fun and I enjoyed the cable shows but if I have to go through this every month, being told one thing over the phone about my bill and then something completely different happens is unacceptable. When I was with Optimum all those years before I had a few technical problems and yes, the bill was high but I was working then but I paid it every month. However there were a few lean years where I had to scrape to meet that cable monthly payment. And I knew that I couldn't afford it but I kept right on paying it when I had other necessities that needed paying for. Which made no sense. Obviously I didn't remember that lean period when I got cable this time.

Just like I said in the beginning of this review 'those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it', it looks like that's just what I did. I came back to Optimum because they had no contract. Now I see that many people are having cancellation problems. So I'm very upset with Optimum. We'll see what happens when I call them tomorrow. I hope I can resolve this.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I had a contract with Optimum for $69.99/per month, they changed my bills every month, first month they charged me $145. I called them and told them that my confirmation email showing the price is $98, why charged me $145. They told me that that includes taxes and another three days service. After that my bill came to $98, $104, $109, $114. And when I complain that, the bill service supervisor hang up my phone.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I called to get internet for my house and they offered different speeds. The person who took my order said that if I went with the 300 speed that the installation will be waived. So I agreed and paid $64 prior to that installation with the agreement that it would be the first month payment. He also said that if I provided my own router that the total would be $54 per month and also gave me a website to find a router that would work with the speed and the provider. 20 days later I get a bill telling me that I still owe them for the installation.

I called them and they first said that whoever took my order charged for the installation and now I have to pay. So it turned into a he said I said deal and in the end I still have to pay for the installation. I don't mind paying just don't lied to me. Consumers shop around and go with the best deal. If you lie just to get me to buy your service that's unethical. There is no way to prove the original agreement and they are not let the consumer make a informed decision.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We just started the service last month and supposedly they upgraded to new technology. Well it never seems to work!!! The internet works one day and off free next 5 until we call and stay on the phone for over an hour!! Or wait for an all day appointment, the guy came out twice to fix the problem but it’s never ending!!! They don’t care about the trouble we’re going through, representatives even managers are rude. Never offer any credits for the absolute disaster they created.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

First off, the customer service department is located in another country of course. Representatives are rude and over talk the customer. They don’t give you a confirmation number or proof that they did what they said they would. Please, if you can help it, DO NOT use Cablevision/Optimum. I called on behalf of my elderly mother who tried doing what I just did. They were not patient with her. Bring jobs back to the US.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Called to cancel my service and told me I am going to get billed for the rest of the month even though my service is disconnected. They have no problem pro-rating a bill when I join the service but canceling it the need to bill me for the rest of the month. Representative are rude and unhelpful. I will never use their service ever again. Buyer beware and if you try to cancel it is not cancel anytime with no penalty.

Resolution response: Jan. 9, 2019

The called me back and gave me the credit.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I called three times. Every time for half an hour for installation credit, which they only gave partial. Every time they disconnect with no solution. Same time when I asked for supervisor which never shows. I think I’ll move back to Verizon.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have been a FIOS customer, and decided (foolishly) to switch to Optimum to save few bucks. I faced sequence of issues and had to return back to FiOS. Router was very bad and had poor signal at the home. I called customer service, technician came and told me I had to replace all my laptops (4) and phones (4) and iPads (2) because they are all bad. The router is good. I told him to get out. Technician, charged me $100 for his visit. I told him, "I will return back to FIOS." He said, "It does not bother me." I said, "That's your customer care, thanks."

I canceled Optimum and returned back to Fios. I returned all equipment, boxes, sealed, bubble wrapped, and protected. Optimum, 3 months later sent me a bill, and claimed I did not return a router. I called their customer service and told them I returned all equipment and nothing was left. They still charged me for a missing router lost at their side. The package I returned had 3 set boxes, with cables, router, remotes, everything. I am sure they are punishing me for canceling their service and having an issue with their stupid technician. I am glad I left this horrible company.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have been a customer of Optimum since 2000 and I have to tell you the customer service is horrendous to say the least. I received a bill from them saying I owe 427.00 and that no payment has been made since October of last year, I tried calling and was kept on hold for about 45 minutes before someone just hung up the phone. On top of that I cannot talk to anyone about this, recording says my account is overdue and sends me directly to some pay module, BUT NO PERSON!!!! All of this aggravation has caused my credit score to drop two points because of their late account status. This is ridiculous, I will never have a bill for two months without paying!!!! I am seriously considering going to another company right now I do not wish to do business with these unprofessional people ever again... AND THE ONLY REASON I GAVE THEM ONE STAR IS BECAUSE I COULD NOT GIVE THEM A COMPLETE ZERO!!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Only been back with Optimum. Well technically Altice for a short time now and it's been a disaster! The set top boxes are famous for going into standby mode and shutting themselves off. But wait that's not the worst of it. Now in the middle of watching TV the screen goes white and states, “Please wait while we set up your services” and the box goes off and will not turn on for nothing until you unplug/disconnect power then reconnect/plug back in and reboot the box! Or the box flat out goes off and won't turn back on.

There's even been times after turning off the TV ourselves and later on go to watch it again the box doesn't come on. It's just nonsense and quite annoying too! Other than that things are darn near just as good as Fios and cheaper. Already considering going back to Fios to avoid this box issue. Just be aware if you go to Optimum there's a good chance of the above happening. That's all I really want to get out there. Not saying not to but just do so at your own risk if you do lol.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I’m disgusted with Optimum. Horrible customer service and the managers are even worse. Extremely rude, and have no compassion for errors that the company had made. If I could give negative stars I definitely would. I have been on hold for over 2 hours. I just got the service yesterday when I was supposed to get it on Monday! I work from home and the internet is not working. The soonest appointment a tech can come is on Saturday! The manager said for my troubles I can be credited $5.00 for this month's bill... Are you kidding me?!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I tried to cancel my service with these people 3 times over the phone, they said they would, but still kept canceling my cancellation request!! I had an outstanding bill, paid it, and they told me that if I paid it they would finally cancel and I would owe nothing. I paid the bill, and then they undid the cancellation request AGAIN. I spent an hour on the phone being transferred to 5 different departments, they said they would finally actually cancel it and that they would investigate why I was still being charged $90. Not only did they NEVER call me back and investigate it, they charged me ANOTHER $20 DOLLARS on the bill with no explanation as to what it's for! I'm so sick of dealing with them I am considering paying the whole thing and just doing EVERYTHING I can to never use optimum again. I'm going to use Fios or just anything else. Worst company on earth. I hope they crumble and burn.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I called to cancel my internet service with Optimum. We had been with them for 28 yrs. My bill was $85.00 just for Internet. Each time a bill came it was higher and higher. Fios Finally came into our area, so I took it for $51.00. Called Optimum to cancel my service after Fios was installed. Spoke to a man Stephen (ID # **) asked to cancel my service. He proceeds to ask why, I tell him I got it cheaper. He asked how much, I told him. He then says I can give it to you for $49.95. I said no thank you, I already had it installed, please cancel mine.

He then starts arguing with me “don’t you want to save money. I will give it to you cheaper!" I said "no thank you, please cancel my service. It’s already installed". He tell me “you have 30 days to cancel it, so just call Fios and cancel". I told him again, "please just cancel my service, I do not want to argue with you". He said “well I need a valid reason". I told him "I gave you one, please cancel my service". He is still arguing with me. This went back and forth for over 1/2 hr. We were on vacation at our cabin so my family was with me, I had the man Stephen on speaker so my children (all adults and married could hear this man). He kept arguing, “I need a valid reason and none you are giving me are valid". I told him again, I got it cheaper! What I did not tell him was that my son and son-in-Law both work for Verizon, this was none of his business. Fios finally came in my area and I wanted it.

Finally my one son took away my phone and spoke to the man Stephen (ID # **) and asked him politely to please cancel our service. The man starts in again on the same arguments, my son had enough, he told him to please cancel the service, and we wanted to speak to a manager. He said he was the manager (highly doubt it). He argued again, "I need a valid reason", my son again said "I gave you one", he said "that’s not true I will give you a cheaper price". My son finally said “put down what you want, we are canceling our service" and hung up. That conversation took 43 minutes of our time just to cancel a service with an arrogant man!!

I called customer service back to put in a complaint on this man. It was an automated service to get you to the right area, they used my phones to match up our account. Would you like to know what the man STEPHEN (ID **) wrote, it told me our service was suspended because of nonpayment! He listen to my son and figured he would get us back for canceling my service saying “We were disconnected because of nonpayment." Thank god I went on my account and screened shot my who bill before this conversation. So, I have proof this man is a lair. The new person in the complaint department DARON (ID **) took my complaint and said he would send it to the head of the Department. Will anything happen? I doubt it. But I am sending my own complaint to the head of the company.

Now the saga continues... Returned my modem to the optimum store today, she asked where is the router? I told her I only had this, she said "no, you also have a router". I said "maybe when we first started with you 26 yrs ago but you updated us about 16 yrs ago and we owned our own Apple router". She said "we need it back or it’s a $80.00 fee". Guarantee when the tech came and updated us he saw we had an Apple router and took the new router back along with the old. But never wrote it down.

I would of known if we owned a piece attached to our computer that had a Blue flashing dome light attached to it with blue lighting all around the box. We never had one. Another way to rip us off! Also since our new billing cycle had started 5 days when we switched to Fios, optimum does not "PRORATE" your bill, they want the full month even when you are not using them! Small print they say! Don’t get sucked in by them, please read all the reviews on this site. These people are telling the truth. Also read ALL their fine tiny print, they do that on purpose just to screw you. I know I learned.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I always thought all cable companies were the same, but I was wrong. We had Optimum in 2 of our homes over the last 25 years and in Manhattan prior to that. The window for a service appointment was way too long and sometimes they wouldn’t show it all. Sometimes the original guy doing the service wouldn’t have the proper equipment on the truck so someone else had to come back. Sometimes the equipment wouldn’t work and you have to be on the phone with tech support for an hour and a half pressing different buttons behind your TV.

But I thought that was just how it is. Then we moved and only Comcast was available! I wasn’t excited at all. But I have to say they come when they say they’re going to come. They call if they are five or 10 minutes away and they call if they will be late! They let you know what the driver's name is. They let you know ahead of time what your choices for equipment are so you know exactly what you’re getting before it gets delivered. I did have a problem once and I just had to press the reset button on my remote control and they sent a boost signal and everything was fine. Netflix is already included on my remote and included in with my charges that was a bonus too! (And you are automatically signed in). I hope our next house is a Comcast Zone. Comcast is user friendly and the equipment is top of the line. Love it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I called for technical help regarding the HBO GO app. and a message I was receiving stating my carrier could not verify my log in. In short, it took one hour for my problem to be resolved. The staff is not trained and they are rude. There was so much noise in the background when I was transferred to a "level 2" tech and he kept telling me I was breaking up. I was on a landline. They don't listen to what you say. He did not understand what my problem was and he was making me go through all kinds of unnecessary steps (i.e. serial number on my box - not even relevant to my problem) until he disconnected me. I had to call back (after telling my issues twice and each time my husband took the phone he had to verify his identity again). When I called back, I once again explained my problem. The person on the phone was about to go through the same steps again.

I had to insist I be transferred to an internet technician who actually understood what the problem was, although she too was rude and spoke in a condescending manner when I asked her to please stay on the phone until I was sure I was able to view the app on the TV. I'll be changing my service first chance I get. This is not my first horrible experience with their customer service since they changed over to Altice.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

No prorating when disconnect - Note that if you stop your service they still bill you up to the next billing period which clearly a scam. I hope a lawyer can bring a class action lawsuits against them. I'm paying $80 a month for a measly 60mpbs.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Go to any company but Optimum. I have been a customer for 13 years and never had problems. I just moved and transferred service and have had nothing but problems. The customer service is horrible, employees are clearly unskilled, undertrained and just plain rude. The next opportunity to move service, I will never sign up with Optimum again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I paid my bill online as I've been doing for the past 2 years yesterday. As everyone may know they give you the option to push whether you want the whole amount paid or just the past due. I proceed to hit the past due amount. When they sent the receipt it was for the full amount (which I knew I could not afford at this moment). I called as soon as I seen the receipt and was told they would request a refund for the difference and gave me a referral number. I called this morning to check on the status and was told no refund will be given because I owe that money to them (which I'm not Arguing). My point is I AUTHORIZED one amount and they took double!!! Is that not stealing? Even my bank is confused as to how their customer service can be so poor. Will definitely will be looking for a different cable provider!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This is my second year with Optimum triple service. I purchased additional speed of 300 to insure adequately service. Even though it worked fairly well to begin with, I started to realize something was not right. Then my internet service went out. When I called they told said my Netgear router was the issue. So I goes to store and get their router. While it restore service it was still slow. On Thanksgiving Day I lost all phone and internet wifi service. After several visits by technicians, one of them was confronted by several neighbors. He admitted it was a problem outside the homes and he would request an engineer. Also, there is a leakage in the line and we are not getting full service. That's when I realized why my computer and electronics would freeze up sometime. Also phone calls was going straight to voicemail. I have been paying for 300 service for over a year and not getting the basic service. Verizon Fios is looking better. Very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

It works for two days, then you wait a week for repairs. They come out to fix problem. The tech is ready to leave in 3 minutes, he leaves when internet comes on but then the speeds are so low nothing works, I been fighting with them over a year to fix it. Still nothing works for more than 10 minutes, their product is garbage! But hey living in mafia Jersey you don't get a choice on another provider, Optimum is the only one allowed in my area.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Too much for too little & they own everything and the rights around here on Long Island Suffolk County, NY. They charge us 209.00 a month for a very few extras. Yes channel, phone and internet. They have the same movies over and over again too...

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Firstly, I moved into a new home and after about 4 months, I finally got Altice installed. It’s only been two billing cycles and all of a sudden I get charged $62 for an ultimate fighting champion pay per view. No one in my family watches pay per view and especially not a fighting show since we have a 6 year old. I tried to dispute saying that we did not watch it but Optimum continues to say that since someone had ordered from our cable box, they cannot return the money. I takes to multiple Customer service personnel including a supervisor where I would be willing to pay if I watched the show.

One customer service person lied to me saying that I watched the show for 15 minutes so I have to pay. Then the supervisor changed the story and told me that due to the privacy issue, there is no way to verify if we had watched the show. At this point I am annoyed as they are lying to me but actually calling my family and I a liar. Firstly, this pay per view was purchased at 1:40 am for a show that won’t start until 9:30 pm that night. Pay per view is not like a movie theater where the show runs out/maximum capacity where we need to pre order. I understand for a popular movie, I would preorder the tickets so that the show is now sold out when I get to the theater. But it’s not like buying a pay per view changes if I purchase at 1:40 am or 9:30 pm as there is not a single incentive for me to purchase 12 hours before.

Optimum continues to say that someone in my family has gotten up at 1:40 am just to purchase this pay per view on the cable box but who would even do that? They are really unprofessional. It took me days to talk to one supervisor who changes their story anyways. As people mentioned below, I never had problem with Verizon FiOS so I’ll be changing to their service since I’m done with their lying.

Optimum IO Cable expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs