1.45/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

331 Optimum IO Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I called Optimum recently to request that the ever increasing "sports surcharge" be removed from my monthly cable bill. I was informed that this is all but impossible, unless I switch to the most basic channel package that they offer (which includes essentially no channels at all). I believe that, as consumers, we should be given the option to view the channels that we would like to pay for and not be forced to pay for channels that we do not want. I strongly feel that Optimum should devise new packages and allow their customers the option to pick and choose only the channels that we wish to pay for. Most other businesses work this way and allow their customers the option to pay only for the products and services they desire. As a long time Optimum customer, I feel that being forced to pay this unreasonable surcharge for products/services that I do not want is abusive and wrong.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I moved to an area that only offered Fios and Optimum. I have had Optimum in the past and never had an issue. They had an offer that was too good to pass up - "sign up for this package and receive a $250 gift card" - Well, that was **. I waited the full 90 days and the FULL 6 weeks thereafter. Never received it. Reached out multiple times to inquire about it and they would say "it is on the way". I call today and was told my eligibility was cancelled and that I will no longer receive it. I will be taking my hard earned money to Fios. Optimum scammed me into a bundle and didn't get what I was promised.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I started out with Fios, then when I had service call problems I changed to Cable. They have steadily been climbing up in price with no warning. I just got the bill for $192 from $171. They call it a slight increase. They told me a few months ago that they would adjust the bill in November. A big lie! Yeah they adjusted it and added $20. I will call Fios again and only wish I didn't have to play these games with them. We need other alternatives. Also, being a senior and on limited income, you would think they would give that some consideration.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

First which is important for me the rep I spoke with, hands down was very nice and helpful. But when you are hit with a 20% and I mean 20% increase there is really nothing they can do. I have been with Optimum since 1986. Service on a scale of 1 to 5. 5 being outstanding. I would give them a 1. Service issues 1 month ago took forever to correct. Had to hold on the phone 4 hrs. I was disconnect 3 times before I got someone to help me with my problems. Optimum used to be on the forefront of customer service, new owners can kiss my **.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Overpriced with awful customer service. Numerous calls to idiotic CS people, who insisted that a woman's voice needs to call, even though I was an authorized user on the account and had all the relevant information needed. Can't even reset a password online.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I am a single, retired, educated individual living on a fixed income. I canceled my Optimum TV and phone services a few years ago because the prices were exorbitant, increasing every year and I was paying for channels I didn't watch. So the only service I have through Optimum is internet. Be that as it may, my internet bill keeps increasing yearly. They inform the public about each increase on their bill a month before but that doesn't make it any better. I started paying $54.95 for the internet alone and now it's over $70.00. I also see on my bill that I pay $4.95 a month for my modem. They haven't started charging for the router yet, but I'm sure that's next. This is all without taxes, etc.

On November 3rd I received an email stating 'what a good customer' I was and I quote: "We're saying thank you with faster internet, on us. In appreciation of your loyalty, you'll be able to connect to everything you love even faster. We're increasing your internet speed to 100 Mbps, on us. There's nothing for you to do—your speed will increase automatically." Twice they said, "On us."

Then, when I went to pay my current bill online I noticed it was now over $70.00 for the month. I opted out of paper billing so I get my bill notification in an email. This prevented me from seeing their notice of increase as I don't open my bill to see charges. It's just internet so I don't need to check it out. Anyway, I called them immediately and the representative explained that this increase has nothing to do with the faster speed. She said the increase is the yearly scheduled increase and people with cable TV channel packages don't pay as much for internet. That comment was a mistake! I explained that if the price goes any higher I would have to cancel my internet altogether. The representative said there was nothing Optimum could do, that these charges would stand.

I explained I thought the email they sent me was fraudulent in an effort to gain trust with the public for something they think they're getting for free. I asked how they can say "On Us" when they are giving me nothing "On Us". I was told the internet increase is actually $10.00 so I am getting a break. Really? This statement was made to me after the fact.

The bottom line is, this company is a monopoly of the cruelest and greediest kind! They don't offer cheaper packages for people who are on fixed or low incomes, no senior discounts or discounts of any kind. They're just interested in how much they can squeeze out of Joe Public until we bleed! Unfortunately, in my area there is no alternative internet company. How does any company justify nearly $100.00 a month just for internet service? Is there an answer? I wish I had one and I wish there were alternatives to Optimum but who knows, maybe down the road. I will be writing to the CEO, not that he will ever read my letter, but at least I'll know my voice is out there. The airwaves should be free for internet use. How dare one company claims them as their own!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I had Verizon Fios in the past and for financial reasons switched over to Optimum. It was a huge mistake. From day one they lied. They scheduled the install and never showed. They had us waiting all day saying someone would come but none came. Then they rescheduled it to their convenience. The technician wasn't fully prepared. The internet wasn't installed correctly. It took about 3 tries before it was functional. I was supposed to get a gift card that I never got. They also promised to pay for my disconnection fee and never did. I was told the gift card was processing. I was told they had paid the fee.

Today I received a call from a collection agency about the disconnection fee they supposedly paid. Now it's affecting my credit. I called and tried for one last time to resolve everything but none seemed to know how to help. They did say like they always say that a supervisor would call me which they never do. I'm so upset with these people but I'm happy to be going back to Verizon Fios. They may be more expensive but at least for me they are reliable.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I was a customer of Optimum for 30 years. While they were always difficult to deal with, and seriously overpriced, the last few years were just abominable. Chronic outages and service problems. Calling customer support was an exercise in futility; long waits, transfers, incompetent tech support, dropped calls meaning I would have to start all over, sometimes long into the night. I finally started contacting their executive level customer service and I did that every time I had a problem.

They then dropped me as a customer. Refused to provide service citing "too many calls to customer service" and "abusive language," which was a lie, but I do admit I lost my temper every now and then, but the amount of downtime, the bad attitudes, the high bills, and the lack of acceptable tech support and customer service had me on edge all the time.

We do not have any alternatives to Cablevision on the east end of Long Island and they know this. They are effectively a monopoly. Somehow, Verizon Fios has been blocked from bringing their cables out; nobody knows why but I have my suspicions. This means I am effectively blocked from any internet and TV services. Why is this allowed to happen? This company should be regulated. It is unconscionable for this to be allowed. Who do you contact about this?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I recently switched from Verizon to Optimum and now back to Verizon. Optimum-the good: 1. No contracts. 2. They'll pay early termination fee. 3. Pricing is marginally better than Verizon. 4. Customer service can be good. The Bad: 1. Internet speeds are inconsistent and generally slow. Almost felt like I was back to a dial-up line. 2. Picture quality is terrible compared to Verizon. 3. Customer service can also be terrible. 4. Format of the TV guide is terrible.

I called and emailed customer service regarding picture quality and internet speeds. They ran a check and said everything is working as it should. I told them as soon as my signup gift card came in I was leaving if things did not improve. Well, I'm back to Verizon and could not be happier. 3. Rewind of live TV is very frustrating. Delays in response times are unacceptable.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

When I cancelled Optimum service in the middle of billing cycle, Optimum said they will bill me for the entire month. This seems totally unfair since I am now paying money for the service that I have not used. Also this is outside of the 2 year contract period. There is absolutely no point being a loyal customer to this company. I have been an Optimum customer for more than 10 years. I wonder why FCC does not look into the bad business dealings of Optimum Cablevision. They could be having a billing rule not to refund the customer when the customer leaves in the middle of a billing cycle. But I wonder how the business rule was even approved. I have also observed that Cablevision increases the monthly billing without even informing the customer. It is high time that such business practices brought to the attention of FCC. It looks like Cablevision is going thru an unregulated business practice.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Optimum Cable - Stony Point NY - I just canceled all of my Optimum services and was surprised to find that my billing cycle starts on the 22nd of the month and even though I canceled on 11/1 I have to pay my whole bill! Are you kidding me? This all started a week or so ago when I called to see if I could get a promotion, I pointed out to the woman on the phone that there was a special for 39.99 for Internet service and she actually yelled at me saying, “You are a current customer. Only new customers can get that.” WOW! I have been a customer for at least 20 years at different addresses. No one has ever spoken to me like that! So at that point to lower my bill I canceled TV and phone, and started looking for Verizon specials. I found Verizon Fios 50/50 for 39.99 and made the call, they installed on 11/1.

So when I went to return my modem today the woman said my bill would reflect the current billing cycle, so I asked her if that meant 10/23 to 11/1 and she said no 10/23 to 11/22. So I called the billing department (800-624-8200) to see if there was a way to pay for the period of use. They said, “No you have to pay for your billing cycle, so "if you come back to Optimum make sure you cancel at the end of your cycle."” Seriously? LMAO! First off, I am streaming everything now with HULU and SLINGTV. Second I have an app called Speedtest, get it if you don't have it.

So I constantly ran Speedtest with my Optimum 60/60 and 3 times in the last year hit 60Mbps download out of hundreds of tests and NEVER hit 60Mbps upload because cable is shared between everyone between me and the cable trunk. Fios 50/50 has been over 50/50 every time I have tested it except 1. I will never be an Optimum customer again even if at some point they become faster than Fios and cheaper. NEVER!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

This company shouldn't be in business. I cannot believe that an official company that has the worst customer service, would still be operational. I've been trying to get internet service for the past 2 months, and it seems that they're not here to do that. They've literally given me the middle finger, their system is so rigged, that I don't even blame their representatives for not knowing how to deal with customers... At one point they told me, I should go with a different carrier. They called me once arranging an appointment that they're “here waiting” at a different address. They told me on many occasions that they'll have service on a certain date, and when following up after that given date, they told me they do not service my building. I can literally write a series of books on how incompetent they are.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My billing cycle ran the 14 to 14 of a month and had to cancel service on 17th due to move to region where I do not have Cablevision/Optimum and they are charging for all 30 days. I only used 3 days. They say it is written in their bill and company policy. This is a RIP-OFF and should be reported to BBB, oh but there is NO OPTIMUM or NO CSC Holdings business. This a corrupt organization that ROBS people. THEY ARE CRIMINAL. I have used the service for more than 4 years giving them thousands and they take more. DONT use this TV, INTERNET OR PHONE service use Xfinity.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I wish Optimum had oversight from the FCC because if they did, they could pull their license. Once again they raised my rates with no explanation. It's a cat and mouse game dealing with their customer service department too. When they don't Want to put something in writing they ask you to call them for security reasons.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

After waiting and circling through computerized options for about 30 minutes to report a cable outage over the phone, I was connected with a very nice lady who assured me Optimum was working all night to restore service and could be ready in the next 2 hours but quite likely by morning. It is still out. I tried to request a credit through their website, and provided an explanation. All I got back was a very cold denial of the request. I am still without cable or internet, which we get charged an arm and a leg for. You know, you would think they could just do the right thing and apologize via a credit. Can you all believe this???

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Just signed up for Optimum on October 20th. Installation was made on the 28. The technician left and the router went. He came and replaced it with another, it failed also. We called he again and he said to call this number ask for supervisor give my employee number and tell "I said your router needs to be replaced." We followed his instructions and was told someone would there with a router in 45 minutes.

An hour and half later still no router. We called back and was advised there is no notation in our file for a "go back" with a router. She said I'll put the "go back" in now. She did and still no one showed. We called back and was advised "sorry we don't have anybody in the area right now. But someone will be there." Sunday, today, and again no calls or shows.

We contact them again and was "promised" someone would be there between 2 and 5 pm, again no one showed. We called back and was advised, "so sorry we can't do same day service calls, perhaps we can schedule you for Tuesday." It's outrageous! This is how they treat a "new" customer? After reading the reviews here, I'm thinking I should just cancel Optimum and go back to Verizon Fios. I never had problems like this with Verizon.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

So for everyone that does not know, if you cancel your #optimum bill mid cycle or starting of your cycle you are responsible for the whole cycle. So if your cycle starts on 10/24 and you cancel on 10/25 you are responsible for the whole cycle billing from 10/25 until 11/25. EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE NO ACCESS TO ANY OF THE SERVICES. #OPTIMUMISTHEWORST Customer Service. Spoke with Shelby, rep I'd (DSH) who claimed to be a supervisor and she basically said tough **. I told her I wish Robert who canceled my services at least told me this prior to deactivating the account, 2 hours back and she said yes that would have helped but there is nothing that can be done. I asked to reconnect my account, and she said well you would have to pay one month in advance, PLUS $59 reactivation fee. ARE THEY CRAZY. The attorney general needs to get involved and review how they are scamming customer of money.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I called Optimum IO Cable Vision in the middle of Aug to have my current phone service transferred to my ex-wife's new residence. It was and the phone number was ported to her new home. When I looked at my bill two months later it showed they never canceled my phone service AND they were billing both me and my ex wife for the phone service against my request not to. They have been billing me two months now after I canceled it. When asked, they said they didn't want to ruin my current promotion. I am furious. I have signed on to Sling TV at a cost of $20 a month instead of CableVision's $120. Done.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Optimum Cable and internet service ranks among the worst I ever had. The internet goes out every other week for days at a time and I have to go through the same routine of troubleshooting on the phone for over 30 minutes each and every time my service goes out… and it NEVER resolves the problem. I have lived in my current apartment for 3 months, and I already have had 4 Optimum service calls. The problem gets fixed for a few days, sometimes a week or so and then the same thing happens all over again like the movie Ground Hog Day. The customer service people are nasty and do not care about the paying customer. On the last service call the guy told me flat out that the company is being sold to Comcast and all of my equipment is over 10 years old and I will always have the problems I am having until I get new updated equipment. Yet I have to pay a full bill every month.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I have been a Cable Vision/Optimum Customer for more than 15 years. In addition to the sneaky, many times unexplained increases in my bundled package that I have experienced over the years, I have encountered a new problem with their customer service delivery, wherein to much of my chagrin I have had to get my issues addressed electronically rather than receive support through a live person. In September I made my payment through their electronic service and had received a payment code confirming the transaction. On October 11th, I made that month's payment by mail. Yesterday, October 16th I received Optimum's letter dated October 4th, indicating that my previous September payment was returned to them unpaid, that I was now responsible for two months payment plus an additional $20 returned fee, and the threat of having my service interrupted if I did not pay their bill by October 14th.

As of yesterday, October 16th, my service was taken down and since then I have only being able to interface with their electronic system accessed through various service numbers, that simply kept on reciting the two months payment owed and that did not provide me with an opportunity to speak with a live person to determine at least whether my check sent out on October 11th was sitting on someone's desk to be processed. I have since checked with my bank, that has not been able to ascertain whether they returned any check unpaid to Optimum. There was no need to do so since at the time of the September transaction I had more than enough funds to cover the payment. If I was short on cash, the Bank would have also notified me.

It should be noted that Optimum made a similar claim about a year ago that the bank had failed to process one of those electronic checks and again the Bank indicated that such a request was never received from Optimum. Under these circumstances, I am a bit hesitant to use their electronic system to pay the balance that I allegedly owe to have my service restored. Since then, I have sent an email requesting that someone contact me and I was told that this will take an additional 24 hours for some person to do so.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Channels are always going out. I get error codes and only a temporary fix when I call... Next day right back to same business. Customer service sucks. No one ever picks up, you are on hold forever and loyal customers have no rights, no deals and are treated like crap. If I had another choice I would leave them at ONCE. Unfortunately my area does not offer TWC or DirecTV, and the Dish Network sucks just as much if not even more. Way too expensive for the unreliable garbage that they both are, the minute there is a wind or a drizzle of rain it goes out. I cut my bill to basic to save some money and now the service is even worse! Then I was told that my service is unreliable because it's the smaller basic package and there is nothing they can do to fix it which is bull because it was the same thing that was happening when I was paying them over $150 a month! More money, less service is what is going on in today's world.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Their prices for television cable are much too high and practically unaffordable. I watch very few channels, mostly nature channels and home improvement channels but in order to receive my beloved "nature" channels, I'm forced to pay for a large package and receive channels that I am not interested in receiving. I am very close to walking away from television altogether if a better alternative cannot be had.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

This company has a monopoly and takes full advantage. Their service is horrendous and their charges are exorbitant. Internet service is extremely slow, tv selection is very limited unless you are a die hard sports fan, the TVs constantly freeze up and phone service dies in the middle of your conversation.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Optimum provides good service but their pricing for seniors is exorbitant. I pay $160 a month for a lot of stuff I don't use and Optimum has a take it or leave it attitude. If I could leave, I would but there is no other cable provider in my zip code. I thought monopolies were illegal.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

The channel selection and service is very good. You can't make up your own packages; you have to take the company's packages, so you end up with a lot of unwanted channels you're paying extra for. The price is too high, but we don't have much of a choice where we live.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've had "The Triple Play" from Optimum/Cablevision for several years, and have had no real problems or issues with it. The only complaints I have are with respect to their rates and "flexibility" in choosing which channels to watch! For example, they have about five options to choose from with respect to channel packages. I have the Gold Package, which includes all the movie channels, but even with the promotional rates, I'm paying $209.23 a month for TV, internet and telephone. I enjoy having all the movie channels, but not being a sports fan, I'm also stuck with all the sports channels that come with that package!

Also, if I downgrade to the Silver Package, which eliminates two of the movie channels, it does not have the game show channels that I enjoy. So, in order to keep the game show channels, I have to keep the Gold Package with all of its sports channels! I wish that consumers could pick and choose their own channels and pay accordingly. If not, at least be a little more flexible, for example, being able to eliminate the sports channels with the Gold Package, and keeping the game show channels with the Silver Package!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The prices are way too high and they continue to come up with more ways/reasons to charge us more money. It really doesn't make any sense. The value per dollar is horrible. If there's a problem with wires that they put in your house and they need to come back to fix them they charge you.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We've been long-time customers and their price kept going up but the quality of their high speed internet is going down. They need to step up and improve their service.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Getting ready to move in July, I was doing online sales Craigslist, Offer Up etc... time was Of essence. Our internet sporadic day by day. Frustrating as we were communicating with buyers. Husband thought it was some cable he touched... checked, no problem. Called co rep. Had me check few things, told him I had New box, helped me install, gave code, still not working. Said, "Can't help you... may need new pin for connection." Again worked, didn't work. Called again. Said account closed. What? After 31 years, new buyer for my house who lived in TX ordered new service... was told they couldn't reverse, over their job description, asked someone to come out, "No... you don't have account." Again worked sporadic, called again. Told service was not shut off, man never gave code of new box? Fighting for months. Now charging me. We didn't cancel in time.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We use Optimum for telephone and internet service as well as TV service. I would have preferred Verizon for a local landline, as the wiring makes for a more reliable service in case of rough weather. With hard wiring, phone outages are rare. However, Verizon did not service our area at the time we moved here, so we wound up getting Optimum for all three services mentioned above. This poses a disadvantage during power outages. Usually, the TV service is pretty reliable; once in a while, the picture on some channels pixelates. Also, when we first moved in and we're setting up our appliances, I had wanted a TV in the kitchen, but was told by the installers that they couldn't set one up because they would've had to drill a hole in the tile floor, thus damaging it. To this day, I'm not sure why they could not have drilled a hole in adjacent wall.

Optimum IO Cable expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs