3.5/5 (831 ratings)

About Optimum

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

Pros

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Bottom Line

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

Top Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Verified

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered ...

Verified

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call...

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
  • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
  • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
  • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
  • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
Contract length24 months24 months24 months
Channels220340420
HD channelsNone110140
Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
*Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
Can you pay Optimum bills online?
Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
Who owns Optimum?
Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

They need to allow customers to only pay for the channels we need. Please sell each channel individually and at a fair price, so we can select them, not forcing us to purchase channels in packages, thusly paying for channels we do not want and waste our money. It's very annoying and disappointing we are paying a lot of money for channels we don't want. Optimum needs to allow and promote freedom of channel selection and be more customer service oriented. By now with all the technology available they ought to know us better by now and automatically make regular suggestions that we cut off certain channels that the system recognizes we rarely if ever use and add other channels we'd more likely watch and enjoy. Please contact me if you need more clarification and understanding of what I'm saying. Thank you.

Optimum response

Hi, Segein! Thanks for commenting. We are here to help and would be glad to take a closer look at your channels to see what can be done. Please message us back directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

In November they offered me to try Optimum internet for 30 days cancellation free. After many years with another company I decided to give them another chance as they told me that the service had improved and it was a good price. After 30 days, around December 22, as the internet service was not as fast as the one I had, I called to cancel. After they took me through different departments, they told me that I had to call on December 29. On December 29 I called and after they had me on hold for about an hour they canceled my service and told me I had 30 days to return the router. On January 10 they sent me a text message saying that on January 15 they are going to withdraw $100 for January service.

Today I called to complain and they told me that my service is still active and there is no record of my call on the 29th. In order to disconnect my service, they took me to different departments again, hung up the call twice and spoke to 4 different people. At the end of all, they are charging me this month even though I am not using the service and they told me that they were going to send me a confirmation by email and I have not received anything yet. Now I remember why I stopped doing business with them years ago. They are garbage.

Optimum response

Hello, Claudia! We appreciate you taking the time to share what happened. We are here to help and would be glad to look into this. Please feel free to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include her full address or account number

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

Called in and canceled our internet/cable plan as we were moving to an area in which Optimum did not serve. I was told on the call, "okay we've canceled your plan". Found out roughly 1 month later that it was not canceled and was charged for 2 additional months. Called back in to try to get this resolved and experienced the customer support reps playing call tag, tossing me around and no resolution or refunds being issued. I would rather go without internet than use this company as a provider. Horrific customer experience...

Optimum response

Hello, Nevin! Thanks for commenting. We are here to help and would be glad to take a closer look at this. . Please message us back directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

They lie. Intentionally mislead. Overpriced. Horrible customer service. Just trying to get someone on the phone is a task in and of itself. Managers will talk down to you and then refuse to give their names or extensions so you can’t report them to anyone. Back when they were like the “only show in town” they were just something burdensome you dealt with. You’d think that now that they really aren’t needed at all anymore that they would step up the other parts of their game… like … being kind to customers… being transparent about savings opportunities… At a minimum you’d think they wouldn’t flat out LIE and treat their customers terribly. CUT THE CORD. Explore other home internet options. Never get involved with this terrible organization.

Optimum response

Hey, Josh! We appreciate you leaving a review and sharing what happened. Please feel free to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include her full address or account number. We are here to help and would be glad to further address this

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Decided to go with Optimum. Sales rep over the phone told me I could get internet, basic tv for $70 a month. I said okay, and went with Optimum. They send out a kid (he said he was 25). Took him about 45 minutes to hook it up. He was to be at my house between 8 and 11. Didn't get to my house until 11:30, and once he hooked up internet, he said "okay I am done." I said what about my basic tv? He then hawd around, went outside and came back in and said, "Your area doesn't support tv." Then he left and the internet just went out. Umm. I then spend two hours on the phone to talk with someone- finally a woman answered and talked me through getting the internet back up. (Temisha. She was friendly). I then talked to her about tv and she said I would get a Altice mini and the appt date would be Thursday between 2 & 5 and I need to be at my house at that time, or they would charge me $60.

WELL now since the kid was 30 minutes late hooking up internet would you think they could at least $30 off my bill, but no since I now have to have a altice mini I now have $10 more added to my bill. Now I checked about my cell phone. Told me I just need to change the sim card and I would be good to go. NOT. It took me three days to get my phone up and going, and if someone text me on Wednesday I get the message on Saturday. The sales rep guaranteed me a two years price lock and I sit here thinking Oh boy I bet I messed up. And not one Optimum person has called and asked me anything, and you sure are not going to call them. The 2 hours I waited on Saturday just to get through made me not ever want to call them again. 01/09/2023.

Optimum response

Hello, Gloria! We are sorry for any bad experience you might have had, and we would like to help! Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I have this service for 2 months and I spend 50% of my time trying to get the internet to work. It is a joke of a service. Their customer service reps are just as bad as the internet service. They are completely oblivious to the policies and how the service or billing works. It is a different answer each time you can get someone to speak with. The best part is-it is always the customers fault as to why the service is not working!!!! You spend forever on the phone with no resolution. The first month I had to have a service call because the box was installed on the floor of the back bedroom and the service could not reach the rest of the house. Who does that! Idiots. I know have to pay for a extra box to get service to the rest of the house and guess what it still does not work!!! If you have a choice go with Spectrum. I am stuck with this horrible company until Spectrum get here and then I am gone!!

Optimum response

Hi, Carol! We are here to help and would be glad to further address the intermittent connection you are experiencing. If you are still seeking assistance with your internet, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we can take a closer look from our end. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

This review was hard to write because I’m currently connected to Optimum internet, the most embarrassing excuse for an internet connection in America. Not only is Optimum way more expensive than it deserves to be, it will constantly cut out. Rain? It’ll cut out. Wind? It’ll cut out. It’s Tuesday? It’ll cut out. And don’t bother trying to fix it, their customer service is awful and they’ll make you pay to fix THEIR product. I’m not convinced Optimum doesn’t mess your service up on purpose so they can charge you $100+ to fix it. And remember not to have any pets or kids, or they’ll blame it on them.

Please do not ever waste your time with this company if you have the option. Unfortunately, they make shady deals with apartment complexes so you’re probably forced to use it. But if you do have the option, literally any other ISP is more worth your money than Optimum. I’ve been forced to be a customer for 10 years now and it just gets worse and worse. Optimum takes all the joy out of the internet.

Optimum response

Hey, Rennie! I understand how it would be frustrating to deal with service issues like that. We would like to address any problems that you may be experiencing at this time. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

We moved 5 months ago to another state and returned all our equipment at that time. Since we moved we have continually gotten billed $70 for the equipment. Have called customer service on numerous occasions and on the few times we actually got through they confirmed the equipment was received and we should no longer be billed. Despite this we are STILL getting bills for the equipment every month in. Tried calling again just today - put on hold and then disconnected!

Optimum response

Hello, Lori! We are here to help and would be glad to further address the equipment charges for you. Feel free to message us back directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number if you were still seeking assistance

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

I cannot do anything in my house when the internet drops at times and doesn't come back for a few minutes. I stream and play online games so this is just a horrible internet option for me considering the amount of games I lost because the internet randomly drops. I'm stuck with this horrible provider since it is the only one here. If you have a choice, Do Not Use This One. I'd rather have slightly slower internet than faster internet that randomly drops.

Optimum response

Hey, Gabby! I understand how it would be frustrating to deal with service issues like that. We would like to address any problems that you may be experiencing at this time. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

So first off if you are looking for a good internet provider go to Verizon! If you are a student, please stay away from Optimum. I’ve been out of service for a whole week, missing out on work etc. so I realized my internet wasn’t working and I called the customer service and they sent someone to come and fix it and the tech did nothing than to flirt with me and told me he can’t fix the internet, it needs the specialist. And I called again and they told me someone was coming the following day and that I had to be home. And no one showed up, the never called and I missed work.

I then called the again the following day and they told me they’ll send someone and the person came and didn’t fix the issue and told me they’ll send the specialist and I was like I thought you are the specialist and again he didn’t fix my internet. I had to cancel the internet because it’s **. Optimum is horrible. Please stay away from it! I wish I could not give any star. It’s a bad company. If you are a student go to Verizon! I had to switch they give you a discount and their internet is good and very fast!

Optimum response

Hi Rosemary! Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the poor experience. Please message us at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we can take a closer look at what might be causing your issues.

Optimum Company Information