Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.51/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

The Optimum brand, available in the New York tri-state area, provides a full in-home connectivity and entertainment experience through high-speed Internet, digital TV, and voice services, plus Optimum WiFi, the nation’s most robust WiFi network. Through its strategic partners, Optimum also offers a

variety of enhanced service and technical support options as well as smart home products to meet the connected home needs of today’s consumer.

View More View More

Optimum Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2020

I have a second home that is unfortunately serviced by Optimum. They have worst customer support. For starters everyone they employ in their service dept barely speaks English. They have such a heavy accent it's near impossible to understand them. Eventually if they ever pick up the phone they are ill prepared to answer any questions.

How they continue to stay in business is beyond me. There is no competition out on the east end... unless you are prepared to enter into a 2 year contract.. There is no other cable provider that offers TV, internet (and phone). They don't care about their customers. Last month I needed to return the modem.... I waited an hour in the cold before I could even get into the store. And then some more before getting an assistance. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE... SHAME ON YOU OPTIMUM. YOU don't get better.... You just get worse!!!

Original review: March 25, 2020

I've been with this company for only 3 months now and by far the worse decision I've made. Every other day I'm having issues with my service and nothing is being done. Someone came out. Same issues happened couple days later. So today after speaking to a representative which she was very helpful I asked her about my $100 gift card. She stated it was placed as ineligible so I asked her why she stated something with my bill. Mind you I've never paid my bill late. I've only had them for 3 months as I stated before so I asked to speak with a supervisor and she said not a problem. So here comes Bob the supervisor so he says.. I don't believe that was his name I believe he lied to me. He basically told me that the balance on my account was wrong and it was my fault because I didn't pay the bill on time. I asked him how is it my fault if it's showing a credit on my account of 0 balance. How do you pay 0 balance.

Mind you it had a credit of $184 at one point. Not balance but credit.. Anyway he goes to say it's not the company responsibility to let me know if an issue occurs with my bill so I won't be receiving my gift card. He was very rude and compared me shopping at Walmart which made absolutely no sense. I hate this services. The quality is terrible and after this pandemic is over I will be changing back to my previous provider. I repeat do not come to Optimum. They aren't willing to help and regardless of whether you're right you are wrong to them.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Optimum cable service provider. Worse cable service provider. I called Optimum to let them know, I'm having issues with internet. Due to the current situation with COVID-19, I really don't want no technician to come to my residence. They were able to see at their end that I truthfully, I'm having issue with the box. I asked if they can send me a new box and/or I pickup one of their local facilities, they said NO. I asked to speak to a manager--no one was available. They said in order for me get a new box a technician have come to my residence. OPTIMUM is not willing to work with their customer during this hard times. Please save the aggravation and search before selecting a service provider.. Optimum is the worst.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Love seeing $20 for a new movie for on demand. Complete ** with the stay at home order. This is price gouging. I would like to see ONE entertainment company helping people Instead of doing this crap during the Covid pandemic. Dollar signs in their eyes. ** sons of **.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Stay with Verizon! We switched and this is the worst product EVER! Most of the time we can't get the DVR to work, you click on a recorded program and it won't play. You have to click on it over and over and over until you get lucky and it finally plays! In the meantime you have to go out and back in many times which is a hassle. Fast forward and rewind are clunky like something from 1990. Today I tried to click on "On Demand" for over an hour and it said "not available" so I finally gave up! You'll be watching a channel and suddenly the screen goes blank, you have to change channels to finally get the original back!

The best one, we had to get a new TV for my son's room because we couldn't find his TV remote. Now we discover that his new TV won't work when the dining room TV is on! When the Dining room TV is off his TV works! This is the worst product ever. Total and complete garbage. I guess the best part really is that when they installed the whole thing they disconnected our connection from our solar panels to the PSE&G meter. We connect to them via internet so we get credit for the electricity we make and we didn't get credit for 3 months!!! We are going back to FIOS as soon as we can!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: March 24, 2020

I have been with Optimum on and off for years. This is the first time I have called them regarding cost increase and the rep put me on hold and then hung up. Most time, Optimum would try to help lower the amount. Don't know if the corona situation have Optimum now refusing to help with price reduction. I was offered $5 price credit for $86 increase. Thank you Optimum for nothing, as soon as I can get another provider we will be parting ways.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Having services installed in my apartment has been a nightmare. After setting up an appointment to have services installed tech never showed up after calling and stating they would arrive within 10 minutes. Technician also falsely stated that a payment with debit/credit card would have to be made prior to his arrival. Meanwhile in any email sent does it state such. Since I was the one needing the service, I went ahead and called to make the payment over the phone so it could be annotated into my account prior to his arrival this way he can begin installation.

After waiting 30+ minutes, I decided to call the technician back for an E.T.A. Tech never answered. Calls went to voicemail. When I called the company aka customer service, I was told that they couldn't get in contact with him either. I was then told that should the tech not arrive by 7pm that night someone else would come the next day. Of course the tech never showed up. I called the next day Sunday at about 11am to find out when the tech would be coming out. I was told told that the tech that was supposed to show on Saturday never notated the account and that there was nothing scheduled for that day. The closest date now available for installation would be Wednesday. I asked for it to be escalated to a Supervisor because clearly this is all too frustrating and needless to say unprofessional.

As far as that representative was concerned it was escalated by her and I should be receiving a call within an hour of that call. She also stated that do to the Covid virus going the earliest I could get someone to go and install anything would be Wednesday. I asked if I should be calling back to confirm anything and she said no. Here we are Monday and nothings been done. I've called 4x in a span of 1 hour and a half because every time I've asked to speak to a Supervisor, I've been left on hold for at least a good 30 minutes and then hung up on. When I've asked whats going on none can give me an accurate answer. You would think the account has been annotated from all the times I've had to call but no.

Every time I've called I've had to repeat everything over and over again, I've never been able to speak to a Supervisor and nothing has been annotated into the account. It is so crazy how horrible this company service is. I've never really needed the service put into my home until now because of the COVID virus and I truly regret it 100%. Optimum/Altice is supposed to be one of those essential companies which means that they should be providing the service regardless. I myself work for one of these essential companies as well and I provide the service to the best of my ability and I expect the same.

My children unfortunately due to the Virus have to do remote learning but because of companies like this is why they are behind. This is outrageous!!!! Should I have to work from home, I wouldn't even be able to that because of this poor service. After first being told that the company due to the virus was unable to comply with the installation (by a rep which by the way hung-up on me after asking to speak to a Supervisor) I was then told that they could probably have someone come out on Thursday. All after I explained that they should be able to because they are considered one of those "ESSENTIAL" companies because of the service they are providing. Internet in the homes are an essential service needed for school work and people who need to work from home.

How is it that these employees don't know the difference and not only that.... How is it that a company that provides service to the entire tri-state area could have such poor manners and professionalism when dealing with customers? This is by far the worse experience I've had with any company my ENTIRE LIFE and that's a lot to say when I am only 36. My advice to anyone.... if you can avoid the service and go with any company, my suggestion is that you do. If I could have given zero stars I would have but unfortunately you're required to at the very least give one SMDH!!!!

Original review: March 23, 2020

I have been trying to reach Optimum for the last 3 days to see if they would work with me on reducing my bill at this time during the coronavirus due to not working. Day 1 - I called and left a call back number. No return call. Day 2 - I spoke to someone who was so unhelpful. Referred me to their website and told me they could not help me because I had a discount and if they removed anything my price would go higher than what I am paying now. Day 3 called and just kept getting a recording. I have never asked for a bill reduction. Made my payments on time. First time I needed help I cannot get anyone to talk to me. I know everyone is calling and having issues but at least return a phone call. Very Unhappy.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I’m genuinely appalled by your lack of judgment, which has led to a lack thereof customer service. At a time when people rely on services the most, Optimum/Altice has failed miserably in this area. It took me all day to get this letter out as I spent the majority of my morning trying to get back online with Internet Service.

I woke up to internet services suspended as a result of an overdue balance of $14.70. "Really" optimum at a time like this, you chose to neglect a customer. I’m more frustrated because I wasted my time. You obviously needed the $14.70 more than I did to keep your business going. It took an entire hour to get back online because I couldn’t search for your customer service number, and their system kept forcing me to log in with my ID, etc. which I didn’t have at that point. Not to mention the re-booting process. Then I tried to speak to someone, which was a whole another journey that I didn’t have time for since I had to get online for work and needed to get my daughters' school assignments online. All of my other service providers have been supportive, and no, I’m not overdue on a bill. Yes, I owed $14.70 to get my balance up to date, but to interrupt my service at a time like this with no warning is uncalled for.

Original review: March 20, 2020

First off, after Optimum was acquired by Altice, they closed the customer service office near my home. So now I would have to drive for over 35 minutes to get to the next nearest customer service office still open. People who work there are RUDE (Nanuet NY). My remote control (the one they provided with their Cable TV box) stopped working. I called the Call Center to see if they could mail me a new one. 3 times over 4 weeks they told me it would mailed and it NEVER came.

Finally, on the 4th call I threatened to switch to Verizon and then they said they would FedEx a new one to me. We shall see if they delivery on their promise this time. Finally, their call center is in what country? Bulgaria or somewhere like that? The people in the contact center can hardly speak English and have a very heavy accent that is difficult to understand. And there is so much background noise with people speaking in a foreign language. Sounds like they are running a call center in an eastern European country at a bus station. What a mess!!!

Optimum expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team