1.25/5

543 Optimum IO Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

OPTIMUM IS A SCAM! All they ever do is play with your service even if your connection strength is strong and usage is minimal! I cut my service off for this reason and they ended up calling me back after about 2 or 3 weeks offering me a deal that is NOT offered to the public. As I was fed up with them but this was a very strong attempt of customer service I accepted their offer which was 200mbps for $40 a month, including the $10 discount for having my own modem. Guess what - when the technician came to set it up he told me with the new higher speed my modem wasn't good enough so I had to buy another one from Optimum's ARRIS website! I went ahead and did that.

For months on end I had no issues whatsoever, 200mbps for just me, one person alone. All of a sudden the internet connection gets faulty after months of no problem! I called them and told them I'm done playing games - either they will stop messing around with my connection or I will cancel and they decided to try giving me the run-arounds of "trouble-shooting" anyway and even had the audacity to attempt to set up a service call for $80 which would only be waived if the their technician came and decided the problem came from their end.

I don't know WHO they thought they were fooling with that one. I'm sure other people have gotten those under the table deals that aren't offered to the public and if not, feel free to try it. Cut off your service and make it clear that 1] you're fed up with their games and 2] you are dead serious you want nothing to do with them and will be boycotting them and letting other people know about the games they play with your money/service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had a problem with my internet cutting in and out, so I had a technician come and fix the problem. When he arrived the cable was working and he claimed it was loose fitting causing the problem. Well that did not fix anything. I found out my whole block was having the same problem. After several calls they finally found the problem with their underground wiring. (3 weeks to fix) I got a bill for 80.00 claiming the tech who originally came out fixed the problem and it was inside the house. I have been arguing with them for months now and refuse to pay when the problem was not fixed. They have been rude and every time I call the manager is busy and says they will call back which they never do. This company is garbage unfortunately. I live in Brookhaven and can't drop them or I would.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

So Optimum internet service provider customer service are the worst people, they lie to you about the package just for you to make payment and they start saying different stories in a very rude manners like you are getting their services free of charge. If there is zero star that's what they deserve.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I couldn’t be happier with Optimum. The service is always reliable and if I have a problem there’s always great customer service. I couldn’t imagine overpaying with any other cable company. I’ve been a loyal customer since 2011 and will continue to support them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I decided to take my time and review all good business. I notice people review business only when they have a problem with that business. Most people that have good experience forget to review how good some business are. I been a customer with OPTIMUM since 1998 and they never failed me. I did switch one time. The reason was my bill went to high. I understood that most cable companies bills go high after some years due to giving other competitors space to do business. Any time I had a problem OPTIMUM helped me, TV, internet or phone. What I learned is buy protection plans from these cable companies solves a lot of problems. Such as no charges for tech showing up to your home and other benefits which I don't remember exactly. This is a 5-star business and they deserve it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

So, after VERIZON increases my bill $50/month and makes no attempt to appease me, I decide to remember why I hated OPTIMUM in the first place and schedule them for install. So, I tried to call them this morning on the WEB 866 number then the SALES number and - I GO INTO AN ENDLESS LOOP OF PROMPTS WITHOUT POSSIBILITY OF SIMPLY TALKING TO SOMEONE. 20 minutes later, I find the RETENTION# I ordered the NEW SERVICE from and lashed out to them but they are just as ALOOF. I AM SURE I NOW KNOW WHY I CANCELLED THIS JOKE OF A COMPANY YEARS AGO.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I have been an Optimum client for many years. Before they were bought by Altice, they had good customer service and good rates. When I called support for any one of their services - internet, phone or voice - I could speak to a real person in the USA. Now, I have to jump through hoops for to get any real person on the phone. In August, 2017, a tree took down my entire cable line on a Friday evening. They refused to send anyone until Sunday afternoon. I had zero connectivity at that point. If they are offering you some low, triple-play rate, don't buy it. Your price will be $220 per month when the special pricing expires. Oh, and don't count on your phone to always be available. This past week, my phone kept cutting me off in the middle of a conversation.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Internet not working. Sent out a "technician" 3 times... can't fix it and they keep trying to charge me. There are a lot of providers around... These idiots are the worst. I would rather have Goofy come out to try and fix it than keep on with Optimum.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been an Optimum customer for a little over a year now. Two months ago I received a note from Netflix saying that my subscription was going to end. I called Optimum only to be given the run around from one customer service person to another. Then a supervisor was supposed to call me back and that never happened. After 3 days of phone calls finally a supervisor told me that I should have read the fine print that it was 12 months or 90 dollars whichever comes first. I explained that was false advertising and was told that it’s company policy and there was nothing they could do.

Fast forward two months later and I went online to pay my bill. I had a past due balance and paid that and the current balance online but pushed the payment out for two weeks. Thinking I had made a payment to arrangement online. A week later my service is blocked. I called and after speaking with customer service for over an hour was told there is nothing they can do. They said it’s their policy that the past due amount must be paid in order for the service to be turned on. I asked for a supervisor and was told there wasn’t one. They said one would call back tonight but I never received a call.

This company is terrible. No customer service skills. They go by policy and say there are no supervisors to talk to. Worst company ever. Run. Don’t fall for their bull. I feel super stranded because it’s the only cable company in my area. The internet goes in and out and the TV goes black. Was told a tech needed to come to access the issue and that it could cost 80 dollars. I said I don’t want to pay 80 dollars and told them to forget it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The Optimum Cable/ Cablevision offers a new Altice One box which transmit 4k to ULTRA HD TVs and has an internet router internally connected. The new system does not provide the option to extended the internet thru your house like some router do with their extension devices. I mean if you have a bigger house and only has one tv box, your internet it won't go further than the room where your box is actually connected, also the telephone is connected to the box near your TV, so if I don't have a tv on your office, you will not be able to have your telephone there either. Also they told me they cannot turn off the router part of the tv box, so I could not keep my current modem connected with my own router, which btw is a EERO router (which transmits the same internet speed to every device without the losing speed as the new Altice One box offers).

For an example your Video surveillance cameras will stop working because they don't have any options to extend your internet elsewhere except if you have a TV nearby. They charge extra money for the new Altice One Box but they failure to resolve this issue. The customer service assistant told me that the Altice One box is not for my household and I am not going to receive 4K transmission if I don't accept the new Router/Cable box, she was a bit curt, instead she ask me if I want to cancel my service as an answer to resolve my issue. Basically if you have only one TV in your house, chances are that you will lack internet through your home. Too bad we wait so long for the ALTICE ONE BOX, is a failure in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We received a letter from Optimum stating that our current promotion is about to end and they are pleased to offer a new discounted rate for the next 12 months. The letter went on to detail the prices for the three services (TV, Online and Voice). When the next bill came, the prices were actually higher than stated. We called two times and got nowhere. Each time, we asked to speak to a manager and were told no managers were available and that a manager would call us back within 24 hours. But no one ever called us back. How can they offer us a price in writing and then not honor it? That has to be illegal, no? Customer service is clueless and the fact that they promised us a call back twice and never followed through tells you what kind of company you are dealing with.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I select to pay online either the day the payment is due or prior to the due date. Optimum states they will process on the day selected. Yet they continually delay the payment, wait until the day after due date and add on their $10 late fee. How many ways can Optimum find to SCREW the customer?? Not to mention their ONE MONTH in advance billing cycle, which makes things even MORE confusing (on purpose). We purchased our own modem, but they sure found a way to grab that extra dinero. If it wasn't for these scumbags being a monopoly, we would drop them like a hot potato.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I been a continuous customer of Optimum for over 10 Years. I have not had serious problems until 5 months ago and always pay my bills. I have had serious problems with an intermittent internet for the last 5 months. Initially it involved TV, phone and Internet but TV and phone (phone drops out at times) have been resolved. However Internet is still intermittent ie., ranges from 25 to 200+ mbps.

Five (5) visits to my home since May from Technicians and or supervisors have replaced all equipment, splitters and connections and tested everything and reset multiple times. Still have intermittent internet service with new Cat 5 cables to pc and Laptop (both pc and laptop hardwired) -iPhone via wifi also is slow to none. Up until recently Customer Service has been responsive up until now and have not returned my calls. Not a problem since Fios is in the street and my neighbors are also switching. Made a mistake using Optimum.net as my email for most not critical websites. Once I change most of my email addresses I am dropping Optimum. Great to have alternatives-maybe cut the cord completely.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My father lives on social security and they have him paying $190 a month and they want to raise it another $50. He wants to switch but he's afraid to call the cancellation line because he thinks he will lose his phone number, he doesn't understand how these crooked corporations work. He tried switching once and he got satellite and hated it. Now he's thinking of switching to Verizon. I don't even know if they have high speed lines in his neighborhood. I live 1400 miles away so I can't do much, but it's awful how they try to grind every last penny out of old people like they are preachers.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Leaving this dump of a cable company! Customer service associates are nothing but clueless, idiotic jokes! Leave you on hold forever because they do not know anything! A lot of problems with outages EVERY DAY!!! Service is deplorable! If you do not want headaches and aggravation, stay with your old company. Optimum will only make you sick!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Paying around $130 per month for cable. Includes around an $8 per month sports surcharge. One problem! No Tennis channel. No ESPN Classic. Total Farce! All of a sudden a year or more ago they take away ESPN classic, and they have been fighting with the Tennis channel for years. This is unacceptable. Might be time to get DirecTV.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

This was my worst experience I ever had with this company Optimum. I needed internet they had a great deal but what is that for if they can’t provide the service to take my hard earned money. They were quick but they never accomplished the job on the date they said they were going to arrive. I missed a day out of work and they never showed up so now they don't care of giving the customer service they said they were going to provide. Then they call that no one was home. I said, “Crazy I’m here” then they called dispatch technician was at incorrect address. So annoyed at this point.

Then next morning I received an email that they rescheduled appt for following day. Meanwhile I have to work cannot miss another day work. They are playing with my money affecting financially and anything that affect me in that way. I don't need to have moving on to another company Fios or something else. For all you out there Optimum customer service sucks big time. No care for the service they provide.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

My mother had Optimum internet for as long as I can remember, a loyal customer. She recently passed away and I wanted to then take out cable in my name in order to continue having internet. Optimum would NOT let me take out MY OWN account until my mother's balance was paid. My mom had been dead for 3 months and had a small balance. Debt such as loans, die with you, and all other medical debts are taken up with the estate, so why should a CABLE company punish me directly for having the "same last name" as my mother? These policies need to be re-evaluated because instead of "offering condolences" I was offered "the door" because I could not and did not want to pay my dead mother's balance. It's enough I had to pay so much to bury her, now I have to pay for internet I NEVER used? Heartless.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I received an offer in the mail offering me 2 years for $79.95, a free year of Netflix and a few other goodies. I have been a customer for over 25 years and they would not honor this offer to me because it is for new customers only. They refused to honor the offer, then why did you mail it to me. Customer service and a customer service supervisor were of no help and told me I probably got a discounted deal when I started. Netflix wasn’t even a thought when we started. I think it’s lousy they don’t take care of their longtime customers!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I was schedule to have my service switched over to Altice One. No one showed-up on my regular schedule date & time 2-5 pm. At 5:40 PM the technician called me and told me that they will not be coming because it's past their work day. After speaking to a supervisor (or maybe not) I had no choice to reschedule and take another day off from work. At my reschedule date a contractor from Connect One showed up to my house and told me they are from Optimum. Long story short... The Connect One technician didn't start the job because I needed to run cables and purchase other items in order for him to complete the job.

I have been with Optimum for over 20 years and to have a 3rd party technician show up for a service call when I have been paying for Optimum service is not acceptable. You should consider looking elsewhere for service. What happened to the Optimum service customer service? When I call it seems like they are working from home. No supervisor available and I give the customer service, below average ratings. OPTIMUM has lost their credibility!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Please heed my review...if I can save someone from switching to this god awful company then I have done my job. The Altice is NOT what they make it out to be. Our service was awful - pixelations, dropped wifi in the house constantly, the cloud is a joke. Finally when we had enough we scheduled an install date for Verizon. The install went well and we disconnected Optimum. (This was on a Friday) I called Monday to cancel service and they said I was past my billing date by 2 days and had to pay for the next month while not using their service.

They have no termination fees so Verizon won't pay it for me so they screw the customer by making them pay for service they aren't using. I was conned into this making it seem like Verizon was too expensive and they could sell me this grand plan for cheaper. PLEASE if you have Verizon STAY WITH THEM!!! No matter how bad you have it the extra money is worth all the headache and anger. I know it seemed like I am just venting and many will disregard me for it to their own demise, but if I can cause enough people to boycott this company then I will feel like I did justice to the thieves that run this company. Thank You!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Two months ago I discovered a charge of 24.98 on my bill for basic TV. I only use the Optimum Internet service. The agreement was 59.00 a month for internet plus fees. When I called the extra charge to Optimum attention I was given a 54.15 deal a month for the next two years and an apology. They shamelessly LIE. A month later my bill is 78.80. Optimum is telling me that my old promotion was over. Optimum failed to recognize they had given me a new promotion. However, is reflected on my account online activity and payment history.

In order for me to purchase Optimum Internet services, I must also sign for the basic TV package for 24.98 a month. That's 299.76 a year, extra for a service, I don't use. Optimum is also tell me that was my agreement with them. I never agree to such an agreement. Optimum choices are If don't pay 24.15 extra for basic TV and choose only internet service, my 59.00 dollars a month for internet service will go up over 80.00 a month for INTERNET ONLY.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

FIRST OF ALL to all readers: FILE WITH REGULATORS if you have a complaint with Optimum. File with FCC and with NY DPS or NJ DPU, and all other regulators that might help. I ordered internet service from Optimum, installed on September 2, 2018. I purchased a used modem from internet before the installation date and the Optimum field technician installed it since the first day of service. Now Optimum bills me for the monthly modem rental charge even though I did not rent their modem. So I called them September 6, 2018 and had to spend a lot of time to navigate through their IVR and wait for some real human to pick up the call. They flatly said the modem is theirs and might be obtained improperly, and asked for serial number. Because I was not at home with the modem so I could not provide such.

I called in again September 8 from home. After long wait, I spoke with their representatives. And this time they asked for MAC of the modem and they said the modem is theirs. I asked them to provide some written proof either through email or mail. And they insisted that they cannot mail me or email me any document and that the only way for me to obtain it is to personally drive to their store with the modem. At the end of the call, Optimum offered to waive the modem rental fees for the only next three months unless I switch to any of their other programs with high monthly premiums. Such offer is not satisfactory.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Optimum snuck in an $80 charge for a missed appointment that I never scheduled or agreed to. My boyfriend was at the apartment on the day of the "appointment", fully awake and they never even rang the doorbell. I tried to call Optimum about this when I came back from work and saw this outrageous bill, which is more than 3X my normal bill, but all of their agents were gone for the day. Instead I got to listen to a 5-minute commercial urging me to purchase the latest UFC fight on Pay Per View.

I work full time - I really don't want to spend breaks calling cable companies about arbitrary charges but I guess that's my only option if I want to be treated like a loyal customer. On top of that, Optimum internet connection is slow and spotty, every new tab I open takes another 2 minutes to load. And then sometimes I'll have 4 hour windows with no internet. But hey, it's ok for them to charge me $80 for not being home at a random time that I never consented to?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We had a phone issue and I called support. After a quick few minutes he said an onsite tech was needed and we will be charged. Of course we needed it fixed so we scheduled an appt. The onsite tech arrived the following week, spent a minute checking the modem and said everything was good on his end and that he does not work on the phones. Told me to call a phone company to fix the issue, but did not give me a number and said to look it up on the internet. Apparently it was a phone line issue that he did not want to do. Why send a tech if they cannot do the job. So no more than 5 mins looking into the issue, he asked me to sign the SA which I refused. I get a bill for $80. I called in for a billing dispute and was told nothing can be done to remove service charge as I signed the SA. My signature was forged. They need to be held accountable for this!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Ever since I switched to Altice service, it has been the worst experience of my life! Paying so much money for a product that never works! My DVR freezes, my remote always loses connection. It’s the worst. I hope for the Verizon FIOS can come into my neighborhood SOON!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I just tried to sign up for Optimum. Was told my bill would be 124 for a month including everything I wanted my DVR my channels and my Internet for two years. He asked for my social and started the process then disclosed to me that he made a mistake and lied to me that I only get six months free of DVR after that my bill would be $17 more month. Then I asked for a supervisor. At this point he then told me that it was gonna be $12 more for taxes after we agreed on the price and a addition 2 dollar fee for not using Altise boxes and getting Samsung boxes instead.

Then I asked if there were any other hidden fees and I was told, "Yes there is a hundred dollar install fee." At this point I have been lied to 3 times. The last straw was when he told me the 10 dollar credit I was getting was only for one year. The supervisor would do nothing to help me. Refused to do anything and said his supervisor was in a meeting he will call me back in 3 days!!! He refused to give me any reference number about the phone conversation. All he could tell me was his name was Evy and Luke was my original representative that started all the lies. So in total I would be paying 762 dollars more than what was originally quoted and agreed on. I think this is terrible business practices and now you have lost a new customer. 10 a month credit x 12 months = 120. 17 DVR charge x 18 months = 306. 12 extra tax x 24 months = 288. 2 Samsung box fee x 24 months = 48. Total = 762 in extra cost because of lies.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I moved recently, and had difficulty rescheduling an appointment to re-install at my new location, based on PSEG not having power turned on. So I called to reschedule the appointment, and that's when the nightmare began! That entire week they had no available times to re-install. Not till 10 days after, the day after Labor Day. When I and everyone else was back to work. They subsequently couldn't find an available time again the rest of 2018! For an existing customer in good standing for the past 4 years. Finally after my wife called a couple of more times, they found one a week later. Ok. The night before our move we got a call confirming the install, but we had already rescheduled it for the following week. Thankfully they took note when we called back. But the following is the real insult to this review, which I never do!

We just received our past due bill, and they only credited us for two days without service! So last evening after an hour and half on the phone trying to explain we didn't have service for a week, and we need 5 more days, the manager I spoke with said he didn't believe we had no service anymore for a week, because I never called to complain?!?! Really, you don't believe me? When we had no reason to call and complain! We waited a week patiently to get service restored, and they want us to still pay for service not provided!!! I was so frustrated that I told him we will not do business with them again.

However, we live in a corrupt village that made a deal with the devil (Dolan family) and we cannot get Verizon Fios, or any other provider in our town. Since it became Altice it has got even worse, if that's even imaginable! So after a half hour on the phone again this morning, I am now waiting on a manager to get back to me, which I have no confidence in, that will do just that, and resolve an easy situation!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

The worst company in the world!!! Please DO NOT make my mistake. I switch from Verizon think I will save some money. I wish I was reading the review before I do the switch. This is by far the worst of the worst company in the entire world. Their customer service is a disaster. You going to wait over a one hour online. They're going to move you from representative - representative. The Internet is slow. I have them for a few weeks. It is ** sucks. I wish they will GO OUT OF business.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I called on Aug 23rd, when I experience TV freezing, intermittent internet and no ring on phone. I rebooted all equipment before calling support. 45 mins of wait, then connecting tech support after another 30 mins. Then making a tech support appointment. Then, making you agree to charge $80 for visit to your home. Long story, I called everyday to tech support for 14 days as issues continued but symptoms varied. Four times, support reported "problem is reported in your area, and will notify once it is restored". No one ever called back. Made appointment three times, once appointment disappeared.

Then, last appointment, told me to stay home from 10AM to 8PM. Waiting for technician whole day, finally called back. 45 mins wait then support "no appointment". Upon insisting to look logs, finally admitted that technician came to property and fixed the issue. BUT no one called to let me know while I am sitting for 10 hours at home. Finally, I called billing to get a credit for 14 days of interruptions or lack of service, I was provided one day worth of credit $9.47. Credit is only given from last service call. What a scam? It resets your service problem to last call. I demand a full refund for 14 days and apology. Optimum must be investigated for consumer fraud. #optimumfraud #optimum #consumeraffairs #consumerprotectionboard

Optimum IO Cable expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs