Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5
Based on 1,443 ratings submitted in the last year

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

BOTTOM LINE

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

PROS

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Top Optimum Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered so many new features ... It is easy to use and I love the Netflix button and voice command on the remote control.

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call the disconnection department, which is not visible in the papel statement and the web page …

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
    • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
    • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
    • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
    • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
    Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
    Contract length24 months24 months24 months
    Channels220340420
    HD channelsNone110140
    Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
    *Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
    Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
    What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
    Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
    Can you pay Optimum bills online?
    Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
    How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
    Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
    Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
    Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
    Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
    Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
    Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
    No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
    Who owns Optimum?
    Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

We are with Optimum for well over Thirty years. Everything is just fine. Did not look beyond Optimum and recommend it. Its additional features includes: (1) Optimum WIFI helps you stay connected for free with convenient hot spots. (2) Optimum store provides great deals on brand-name electronics. (3) Parental controls. (4) Pay per view programs. (5) It's easy to store and surf one's favorite channels. (6) On demand selections.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

I transferred service from a previous location. The installer was great. He was there early and had everything hooked up and ready to go quickly. Customer service has not been great. I had to call as the the price and serviced quoted me to keep service when I moved was not what was charged. They tried to charge me $50 a month more and they still did not get me to what was quoted. When I moved I was asked if this would be my monthly for 2 years and was told yes. That has not been the case as I have to call multiple times.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I have been an Optimum subscriber over 25 years and love the service especially the fact that I pay one price for internet, phone and cable service as a bundle. Also I have Flix and premium stations and can get weather and traffic whenever I want to.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I had a very difficult time dealing with several people at Optimum in the Tech department. I first want to say reaching Optimum by phone is very difficult. Waiting time is so bad they call you back in more than 45 minutes. Only half the time they actually call back, the customer must keep calling. I dealt with 3 tech people on the phone and 2 over online help for about 3 weeks. A tech person was scheduled to come out and did not show up. I waited 8 hours. I did not receive a call to cancel. From September 3rd I had no Home phone service until today September 23rd. Finally I got someone on the phone through the billing department that also knew how to fix tech issues. Jameel was able to help me solve the problem completely and phone service was restored. He did in minutes what 5 other people could not solve in weeks. This is my first time writing a review but I felt compelled to do so. Thank you Jameel.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I used to have Optimum standard boxes with separate modem and router but I decided to switch to Altice One to help others to understand the product. The guide is simplified and with an easy to access remote that lights up in the dark. It has a voice command to use if you were cooking in the kitchen but wanted to hear your favorite songs or shows. It also includes streaming services such as Netflix, for those who wants a break from commercials. Let's just say, cable is not dead!

With technology evolving, so are we. Yes, it was once owned by Cablevision and I am familiar with that brand at my Grandmother's house. Now, we all seem to be afraid of change but no need with the Altice One. I have noticed faster speeds and the picture quality is amazing! My Fiancé loves to come home and watch his games and shows better than anywhere else. We both experienced all services so, this is one to compete.

My initial reason to get Altice One installed is because I have a smart TV so, if the box does not work, I have backup. Surprisingly, it is the best system I could have ever installed! They now have Altice mobile with connectivity all around the world. Let me repeat that, all around the world! If you are a traveler like myself then, you can send one to your family outside the country with unlimited talk, text, and data. You get even more connectivity within the tristate area. It is a new device, but it is one that is expanding rapidly. With such low rates you get the Altice One and now mobile for $20. It includes modem and router to give better wifi signal and if you need signal outside, it expands as far out as a football field.

I highly recommend the Altice One to anybody. We have so many devices for backup such as Smart TV's, cellphones, and tablets to turn if we need to connect. Plus, technology is not always anyway so, it does not hurt to try it out yourself. I have an active son as well and he can control it better than I can! I have no idea how he found the Youtube channel before me, but he did. Sometimes, we need that break and we find movies together (well he finds the same ones) and chill during days that I am off. Now, I mentioned cable is not dead because the commercial breaks give me time to bond with my family, cook, clean, or even read to him. I like to save Netflix for the weekends and weeknights with my Fiancé when we are resting from work, which is also included in the Altice One.

Throughout my childhood, I have experienced power outages and everything else you can think of going wrong but do not forget about the landline to add for just $5! I would recommend this product to anyone. Well, let me rephrase... I recommend this product to everyone. They are surely the ones to compete with Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint and all other major telecommunications. Check out the latest Altice One, it could change your life.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Can anybody believe that after more than three weeks, Optimum is still using a temporary cable line which is on the ground and passing by my neighbor's garage? I asked many times and but Optimum sill cannot give me a firm date when they can fix it???? I tried to call the customer service several times and the guy said yesterday my problems was marked fixed!!!! They schedule a technician today for 11am -2pm timetable and at 12:40pm the gentleman just called me that he knows the problem but will need another company to fix??? He even couldn't give me a firm date but said can be months! I wish I never use the company again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Buyer Beware. Optimum boasts having the fastest internet, but it's really just a technicality of their best package (1000mbps vs competitor speeds of 940mbps), rather than a humanly perceptible difference maker. Optimum advertises great rates, often including cable and internet packages for under $100 a month, but those rates are incredibly deceptive "promotional" rates for new customers only, that change drastically after the promotional period ends (usually a year).

After the promotional period, we were paying $95 a month for basic cable (no premium channels), $90 a month for basic internet (100mbps, which is slower than anything I believe they advertise anymore), plus $30 a month or so for a landline phone. After all the equipment fees and other hidden costs, our total bill was $301 a month.

Worse than that, their over the phone customer service is more like calling sales reps than customer service reps. Two separate representatives tried to convince us that the only way to resolve a connectivity issue we were dealing with, was to upgrade our plan for $30 a month, and wouldn't even listen to the problem we were trying to describe. After commenting on Twitter, someone eventually reached out after looking into the problem, and found the issue was indeed a technical issue that could be fixed, and not a reason to upgrade. Needless to say, I've been very unsatisfied with Optimum and would highly recommend new customers to read the fine print of any promotional deals, and ask questions about what their rates will be after the promotional period ends.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Optimum had no problem canceling services on the first day of billing period (service was unavailable within a half hour), but also still billed for the FULL month to follow. GOOD customer service would have advised on this practice so the consumer could make an educated decision on the cancelation date. Good customer service would also have had a supervisor call back as requested at the time of cancelation to possibly remediate the need to cancel altogether. Good customer service would make their customer a priority, particularly when the company admitted error resulting in the need to cancel. None of this happened because Optimum has Bad customer service practices. I suggest exploring streaming online TV services and other internet providers before signing up with Optimum.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

In addition to be being VERY expensive, this company will only allow customers to speak with a bot or a very non-local service rep. In trying to speak with someone local to verify their hours and services provided, I was disconnected by the bot, and then spoken to in what I found to be a condescending tone by someone who was NOT local. When I asked for a local phone number so that I could get my local question answered, he first read to me from the internet, and then gave me the number I had called to reach him! None of this is surprising. Optimum is a very difficult company to deal with. They do not even have an email address. They simply do not want to hear from customers. They are not concerned about meeting customer needs or providing even the most innocuous information. Unfortunately, right now they are the only show in town for my area.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Initially their service plan would look value for the money. But this is just to make you fall into their trap. After that they will increase the price every year more than 30% without proper communication. Service is also not that reliable. You will see the frequent connection drops. Not worth it.

Optimum Company Information