Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

BOTTOM LINE

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

PROS

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Top Optimum Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered so many new features ... It is easy to use and I love the Netflix button and voice command on the remote control.

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call the disconnection department, which is not visible in the papel statement and the web page …

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
  • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
  • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
  • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
  • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
Contract length24 months24 months24 months
Channels220340420
HD channelsNone110140
Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
*Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
Can you pay Optimum bills online?
Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
Who owns Optimum?
Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: July 5, 2020

I reached out Optimum customer sales team to add TV service to my internet account and I was told that I will be getting everything including Showtime and HBO at 138$ including service taxes and fees. I was not even asking for showtime but the sales guy himself placed mentioned that he is able to provide as an offer. After installation I didn't find this additional channels and on calling customer care I was told that bill comes out to 143$ excluding service tax and fees and that doesn't includes HBO. Also they are saying that an email was send to my id which I don't see at all. There is a clearly a gap in the order placed by sales team and service procurement team and I would not recommend optimum tv or any of its service unless you are ready and have capacity to spend more than they deserve.

Original review: July 4, 2020

20 year (once loyal) customer/fanboy. They used to have excellent CS. Now they are as bad as every other cableTV/ISP. Hidden fees, equipment rental fee, in home service fees. Their expert Tech Support seems to know nothing of the tech, and only follow process. They can't explain anything. I have spent 3 months trying to figure out why my internet connection is spotty. Diagnostics are excellent. Bought new router, and new modem. The automated online process does not work, and after waiting over an hour, the TS rep could not get the modem to register and could not explain why or forward me to someone who could help, even though the model I had was confirmed to work with OOL. She only offered to send someone, while warning I could get hit with an $80 service charge....

I just need reliable internet while I work from home. My work PC goes haywire (due to all the security) when the internet connection goes down even momentarily. After countless hours, CS hasn't helped at all. I understand the technology well, and am confident I can sort this out. I just wish I wasn't working this out on my own. This is the behavior of a monopoly. Nothing illegal. They just know some of their customers are trapped. It takes a special kind of company to treat their customers well even when they do not have to. Cablevision/Optimum was once that kind of company.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Stay away from any Optimum services like the plague. They have the audacity to charge you a monthly payment for their really really awful modem. If you decide to buy your own modem, "conveniently" their system is not compatible with your modem so you are stuck with their bad modem and pay them a monthly charge. I was on-hold with them for 4 hours and I can even give you a screenshot. There is not a day in the world you can "try" to reach them without being on-hold. They can't even do chat messaging right....I was on hold for chat messaging! Find any other means than giving this really mismanaged and awful sub-"optimum" your business. I'm sure they are collecting their fees, paying out their management team top dollar without investing a single dollar on improving their infrastructure.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Bad service, the representatives are not trained to serve the clients, they say anything to get rid of the client, the inspectors are not professionals, they say that they are going to call to solve the problem and they never do it. I called for a simple problem on the internet, the representative could not fix it from the office and told me that a technician should come, I asked twice if there would be any cost and the representative told me NO, so accept that reason, when the technician to my house I just disconnected and reconnected and everything was fine, the next day I see a charge of $86.00 dollars for that service that they told me they would not charge, I immediately called them asking for the recordings of everything that was talked to the representative to be uploaded, that there would be no charge and that I could not solve something so simple from the office, and they told me that this could only be solved by an inspector.

I started calling asking to speak to an inspector. They respond that they will call me back, on one occasion an inspector called me and told me that what happened was unfortunate and that he would call me back in two hours, 21 days have passed since that call and I am still waiting, in total it is more than two months and still no inspect communicate with us, we are very upset not for the $86.00, but for the deception, the lies and lack of professionalism on the part of the company, I suggest that when someone calls the company they have to graver what they are told, they lie, it is not a serious company.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I am Optimum customer for many years. I paid for service $133 per month for tipple service. Four month ago I bought and installed personal modem to decrease my payment to $121 per month. This is legal. Optimum allowed to do this. I had this premium amount only 2 month. After that Optimum increase my payment to $135 per month (remove one discount) and after one month more to $161 per month (remove another discount).They removed discounts that I had before. At this time unable to get in touch with representative for discussion. If you are lucky you can leave phone number and somebody MAYBE will call back in uncertain time.

Try to contact with Head Quarters - no result. Automatic Operator went you through all options and disconnected you. All person, whom extension I have unavailable at that time and did not call back. If somebody have optimum issue, a lot of time and IRON PATIENT can call to Headquarter; Phone:1-516-803-2300 James Dolan. Fax:1-516-803-3134. So, I am not recommend use Optimum (now Altis) company as communication providers.

One more example: my bill statement for optimum online service cost for me $24.99 with $65 promotional savings. Can you show me company where internet in triple package cost $95? Optimum Value TV cost $35 with $49.99 promotional saving. Ridiculous. But they used later their "promotion" to increase premium price. This is not fair. THIS IS GAME!

Original review: June 30, 2020

Unbelievably bad customer service. They were dishonest and cheated me out of 99 dollars even though I cut off my service with them. This is the worst cable company I have ever worked with. I promised them I would trash their company to every review site in retaliation. Honestly, go with the bigger company if you are questioning whether it is worth it. Quality is more important than supposedly saving money with this garbage where in the end they will cheat you anyways. My advice to you is to never ever ever give this company business.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Look out when you have a technician come out to fix your modem issue. They’ll FIX and CHARGE whenever they feel “necessary” because they’re so called “professional” and your thoughts, your concerns don’t matter to them. The technician would tell you everything was working fine, then turned around replacing your wiring even without asking/informing you, then charged you $59.95 for the service! Yes right even though it’s not your fault they will make it like it’s your fault so they can take money from you!! Don’t even bother to ask for a supervisor, they won’t allow you!!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I used to have Optimum standard boxes with separate modem and router but I decided to switch to Altice One to help others to understand the product. The guide is simplified and with an easy to access remote that lights up in the dark. It has a voice command to use if you were cooking in the kitchen but wanted to hear your favorite songs or shows. It also includes streaming services such as Netflix, for those who wants a break from commercials. Let's just say, cable is not dead!

With technology evolving, so are we. Yes, it was once owned by Cablevision and I am familiar with that brand at my Grandmother's house. Now, we all seem to be afraid of change but no need with the Altice One. I have noticed faster speeds and the picture quality is amazing! My Fiancé loves to come home and watch his games and shows better than anywhere else. We both experienced all services so, this is one to compete.

My initial reason to get Altice One installed is because I have a smart TV so, if the box does not work, I have backup. Surprisingly, it is the best system I could have ever installed! They now have Altice mobile with connectivity all around the world. Let me repeat that, all around the world! If you are a traveler like myself then, you can send one to your family outside the country with unlimited talk, text, and data. You get even more connectivity within the tristate area. It is a new device, but it is one that is expanding rapidly. With such low rates you get the Altice One and now mobile for $20. It includes modem and router to give better wifi signal and if you need signal outside, it expands as far out as a football field.

I highly recommend the Altice One to anybody. We have so many devices for backup such as Smart TV's, cellphones, and tablets to turn if we need to connect. Plus, technology is not always anyway so, it does not hurt to try it out yourself. I have an active son as well and he can control it better than I can! I have no idea how he found the Youtube channel before me, but he did. Sometimes, we need that break and we find movies together (well he finds the same ones) and chill during days that I am off. Now, I mentioned cable is not dead because the commercial breaks give me time to bond with my family, cook, clean, or even read to him. I like to save Netflix for the weekends and weeknights with my Fiancé when we are resting from work, which is also included in the Altice One.

Throughout my childhood, I have experienced power outages and everything else you can think of going wrong but do not forget about the landline to add for just $5! I would recommend this product to anyone. Well, let me rephrase... I recommend this product to everyone. They are surely the ones to compete with Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint and all other major telecommunications. Check out the latest Altice One, it could change your life.

Original review: June 26, 2020

In my decades of experience with large companies, I've never had such a rotten experience. This is by far the absolute worst. If you don't get everything right the first, you'll NEVER straighten anything out with them. I requested that my old phone number (which I had with Verizon) be moved with my new installation at my new address. It wasn't done, although they assured me it will be done. I've been in contact with them about a half dozen times to correct this. In every contact they assured me it would be done. It was never done. I spent an enormous amount of time on the phone and interactively, but at this writing I accomplished nothing!

Then, they had the wrong address for me in their records. I went through the same rotten experience as with my phone number. In the end, the wrong address was not deleted. They now have 2 addresses for me on file, one that is not mine. If you have a weak stomach, don't get involved. The frustration is not worth it. Find another company. Optimum is the worst.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I’ve been with Optimum for over 10 yrs & all I’ve got from them is an increase in the bill! Me = 200mgbs for $150 vs $75 400 for new clients FOR LIFE! How is this fair? When reaching out to CS they cut call.

Optimum Company Information