Shop on FYI
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

BOTTOM LINE

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

PROS

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Top Optimum Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered so many new features ... It is easy to use and I love the Netflix button and voice command on the remote control.

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call the disconnection department, which is not visible in the papel statement and the web page …

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
  • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
  • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
  • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
  • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
Contract length24 months24 months24 months
Channels220340420
HD channelsNone110140
Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
*Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
Can you pay Optimum bills online?
Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
Who owns Optimum?
Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Whoever the technician was who install a cable in my building left a mess of wires hanging from the ceiling in the hallway of the building. It is the sloppiest job I've ever seen. The wall was freshly painted and he left the dirty fingerprints all over the wall but that can be painted however he left all the wires hanging out of the sleeve that the wires go into in a very sloppy manner. I was going to get cable but after seeing that I changed my mind.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

Optimum is terrible. They are falsifying claims and and trying to get away with. They claiming that a service agent came to my home, when they are not and are playing hardball cause they have building monopolized. Now my internet is super slow and never had this problem before. Gonna push board to change that for next contract. Terrible!!!! They are trying to rip people off in the middle of pandemic, when trying to keep up with bills.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Worst company I have ever worked with. Would join ANY OTHER internet vendor who comes to Jackson New Jersey! Tried to change services this week and called in 5 times to the 'retention department'. Put on hold for 2 hours on each call, and ultimately the call disconnects at 2 hours. Finally got thru to change services today and they had the gall to try and upsell me before making the changes I asked for. I asked to speak to a manager, she joined on a clear line, suddenly there was static on the line, out of the blue, she yelled 'hello' 'hello' and also hung up on me. This is not an unusual interaction with this company. This has happened continually in our 20 years of being a 'valued customer' here.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Being a long time internet user/ cable/satellite subscriber I've witnessed the decline of customer service by companies that should be striving for good service/more customers. Instead, the business model is raise prices and provide service in all areas that is so bad the intention is seemingly to drive away its customer base.

The reason for this approach can be found in taking a gander at the consumer reviews for Optimum (the hated Altice) Direct, Dish TV and Fios. All have dramatically increased prices ended or curtailed promotions and changed to bottom of the barrel technician home visits and appointment time frames. There seems to be collusion between the companies to all be as bad and cost-efficient as possible therefore preventing a dissatisfied customer from going to a company with higher ratings. Altice/Fios/Dish and DirecTV all get one-star ratings. This is the new America in which values are gone and profit rules. The government sucks, companies suck and this country sucks corrupt from top to bottom. Optimum is part of the new world order which is collusion and lies make America great.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

The call is routed to Timbuktu. Background noise of everyone talking make it impossible to hear the rep much less understand her. I called because TV reception was not good. After an HOUR on the phone, I had no TV at all. Despite the fact I was on the phone at 1:30 PM could not get a technician to my house for another two days. We pay a lot of money for TV these days, and now they're going to expect me to pay to fix the problem they created. Cablevision come back! All is forgiven.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

For the past 4 months I have been calling them about the interrupted service and incorrect billing items with no resolution. You have to wait hours upon hours to get to the right department before you can even be in a queue for a callback for your issue. After that you may or may not get a callback. And then you can start the entire procedure all over again the next day. Eventually once you get to the customer service rep. they say, our manager will call you back in a week or two. Are you serious! No resolution. I'm sick of this! I don't believe this company actually exists.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Optimum is a complete scam company. Our Internet has been down for 2 months now, company could care less about fixing it WHILE CHARGING US FULL PRICE. Have called numerous times, and not once have they bothered to come out. They claim there's an outage. Have visited the physical store, they tell us to call. We call, they don't care. Well if you don't care about your customer we will be taking our business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Optimum received the rental modem Ubee on June 23 and still charged me for $10+tax each month claiming that my privately purchased modem Arris TM1602 belongs to them. I called customer service today at 11:11am and Optimum called me at 12:36pm and got disconnected then call me again at 12:51pm. During 40 minutes communicating with the representative Nicole and was being put on hold for 30 minutes, at the end, she told me that her supervisor told her that my modem belongs to Optimum and she couldn't do anything. I told her again and again that I purchased the modem on my own and requested to speak to the supervisor. She said that the supervisor couldn't speak to me. I then asked for the supervisor's name who told her the wrong information. She said that she couldn't give out the supervisor's name.

I had one time purchased one modem that couldn't get registered with optimum, I returned that modem. Then I purchased this Arris TM1602 and optimum technician at the time at my home called his optimum internal representative and set up the modem for me. That's the reason I returned my rented Ubee back to Optimum. Please reversed my $10 monthly rental charge fee because the modem I have it is my personal property. If you Optimum thinks that it was yours, you shouldn't have registered my modem to be acceptable.

After my complaint to BBB on September 4, on September 10, Ms. Anna from Optimum called me and claimed arrogantly that her rank was higher than a manager. Then, I explained to her that I purchased Arris 1602 refurbished modem in June 2020 Amazon (Actually I checked again that it was from an Ebay wholeseller). I explained to Anna that at the time I had purchased another modem prior to Arris 1602 and previous modem couldn't be registered with Optimum because it was registered with Optimum before. So, I returned the first one and I got my Arris 1602 this time. I confirmed with Optimum representative at the time that the Arris 1602 was valid and was accepted by Optimum.

After confirmation, I returned my rented optimum modem/router "Ubee" back to optimum on 6/23/2020. Optimum credited me back the rental charges subsequently. Two and a half months later, I received a new bill and stating there was a $10 rental fee again and all the credit were reversed back to my bill. No one from Optimum has called me to explain what happened in between. I then called in and waited for 55 minutes to speak to an optimum representative, which constitute my initial complaint through BBB.

I explained to Ms. Anna that if Optimum thought that my modem belonged to them, they needed to tell me at the time when I set up the modem with them, not 3 months after. Ok, if that was a mistake by the Optimum, they should've called me within a week or two to correct their mistakes. NO, THEY SILENTLY "Correct their own mistake" TWO AND A HALF MONTHS LATER. I informed Ms. Anna that I was not able to return my purchased modem after 3 months especially this is Optimum's responsibility to let me know at the time I set up the modem with them. She refused my request with no empathy and remorse.

It is Optimum's responsibility to guard their modem. If their modem were claimed by a third party, they should have detected it right away and inform the consumer at the time they found the issues, not after accepting customer's modem then claimed it was Optimum's. How could I know if it was Optimum's scam that they sold their used modem to a third party then after consumer purchased them, they said the modem was theirs? Some authorities need to come out to cease and desist this unscrupulous and greedy company's behaviors.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

They mistaked my address for someone else and canceled my service. I never called to cancel my service. Their mistake. I call and no one knows what they're doing. I had to go to the actual office and still don’t have my service back. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Optimum sells a router that does not work wirelessly and yet I am paying Optimum for wireless internet. It does not work w/ my time capsule to back up my computer periodically, automatically. I have placed 7 calls to Optimum 'service representatives'. Of those 7, I could only understand 2. Only those two helped by recording my case and telling me I would hear back in 48 hours. Needless to say, no one returned my call. My problem was never corrected and never properly addressed. The last (7th) 'serviceperson' said they could do nothing.

Optimum has possibly the very worst customer service and will offer no assistance (understandable or otherwise) to help you or direct you to someone who can. When you ask for a supervisor, you are always told "they are busy". Meaning: There is no supervisor. If I had a choice of another provider, I would take it in a heartbeat. But I am captive. And I must manually, periodically back up each computer because Optimum is still in the dark ages.

Optimum Company Information