Shop on FYI
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

BOTTOM LINE

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

PROS

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

CONS

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Top Optimum Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered so many new features ... It is easy to use and I love the Netflix button and voice command on the remote control.

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call the disconnection department, which is not visible in the papel statement and the web page …

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
  • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
  • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
  • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
  • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
Contract length24 months24 months24 months
Channels220340420
HD channelsNone110140
Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
*Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
Can you pay Optimum bills online?
Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
Who owns Optimum?
Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

It’s unbelievable. After 10 phone calls troubleshooting, I still don’t have cable service. I had cable in August then I downgraded to a seasonal service that they offer for when you are not using your vacation property that much. 20 local channels nothing special. They shut my service off completely. And now every time I call to turn it back on they put me on hold for 20 minutes and nothing gets resolved. Worst Trouble Shooting Phone a service ever.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I started a new deli business and needed and phone and internet company for the deli. I call Optimum sales and the salesperson clearly told me they have a promotion for new customers for free install. I accepted the terms and proceed to schedule a install date. No email was sent to my account to notify me of my new account charges and breakdown. After the install was done I received a work order email that stated that they were charging me $179 for install fee. Right away I called customer service. They told me I have to wait for the actual bill to come in and they will waive the install fee. The bill came in. I called billing and they transferred me to a supervisor. He told me he had to look into the matter and most likely will refund me the install fee.

After that I waited almost 2 weeks for the supervisor to call me back only to tell me that he would not be refunding the fee. This is where it hits the fan. He called me a day before my bill was due and told me either I paid the bill or they would shut off the service tomorrow and my business would lose the new phone number that they gave me. He told me I can close my account anytime and they would find a way to get their money. Clearly this company has zero regards for a new business owners or their customers. This is clearly a very greedy and money hungry company. When I went to pay the bill at their local office two customers were having a verbal altercation with the customer service representatives at that location. And they were all talking about billing and how they had been overcharged and customer service over the phone would not help them with the bill.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

So this is the 3rd time in the last month I had an appointment with Optimum. Half our channels don’t come in. We have had 3 appointments. All of those appointments the technicians no showed, no call. Unacceptable! They keep giving us new appointments and the same thing happens. They need to hire new independent contractors cause the ones they have no are not worth the money they are being paid and neither is my service. It’s not worth what I pay.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I moved to Ulster County and requested Optimum/Altice to be my provider. The experience has been more than horrendous. Wifi service in the area is terrible. I've been charged in excess of 100$ to have someone troubleshoot and rectify phone issue with no satisfactory result. My grandson is on remote learning because of covid and he can hardly stay on because the wifi kicks him off constantly. They have come to the house to try and fix telephone service which is very much needed because of elderly parents and they still cant fix whatever problem they think it is. Bottom line They continue to promise in fixing this issue with phone for last three weeks with so called troubleshooting (fancy way of telling you they cant fix the problem) and still no results. Utterly frustrated with this company. Unfortunately there is no other service available in my area.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I've read other reviews and that was my experience too. I don't know how they are able to continue without being looked into. Something is very wrong with this company from customer service down to equipment that doesn't work. It feels like they are customers' money with no repercussions. I would highly recommend you not use them. I don't know what has happened to them from the past. A couple years ago they seemed okay.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I was without TV for 10 days because that is how long it took Optimum to send out a technician. The problem was outside the house and due to poor workmanship during installation. Optimum is obviously not in the customer service business.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Internet constantly drops, equipment was replaced with no improvement. I pay $97 a month for internet only. Offered $74.99 a month to add cable (supposedly a deal for existing customers), but was quoted $129 when I called. Clearly a bait-and-switch. There is no other internet or cable available in our area so I have no options.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I was taking care of my mothers account at her home on Long Island after she passed away in May 2020 and got the billing in my name. I called sometime in August to disconnect the service and the customer service agent was terribly rude and wouldnt help me because I didnt have the serial # of the equipment as I live in MA which is 4 hours away. The equipment has been disconnected for months as the house is vacant and being prepared for sale. I myself had/have health issues that prevented me from getting to the house so I could get the serial # and return the equipment. I'm a fair guy and want to have the bill reduced to 1 month service from the $483.00 and even that is too much for what you get. Seems this company is way too big and feels they dont have to help their customers.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Constant drops in internet services, which is and has been happening for 2 decades of dealing with this same company and I have lived in several locations with different, neighboring zip codes. Biggest problem is, they have monopolized almost the entire Borough of Brooklyn, NY and are literally NOT allowing other companies to move in. Charging a fortune again because they have no competition in the same area for over 20+ years and provide a terrible service in every aspect. The sooner there will be competition the better. Will leave Optimum 1st chance I have and never look back. Overpriced and terrible, terrible service!!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Horrible experience. Wifi was always dropping, not good since I am working from home. My tv box would always shut off and have to reboot. Called Optimum multiple times, but they always wanted to do a reset from their location. Every morning I wake up instead of my box showing the time it would always reconnecting. When signing up for Optimum, you are informed about a $100 Amazon gift card but not told you must be with for 3 months first. Just overall not informative and helpful. I have signed up with Verizon and they have been great! Fast internet and strong. Would not recommend Optimum to anyone, especially if you are working from home and need efficient internet service.

Optimum Company Information