1.6/5 (181 ratings)

About Optimum

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

Pros

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Bottom Line

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

Top Optimum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered ...

Verified

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call...

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
  • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
  • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
  • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
  • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
Contract length24 months24 months24 months
Channels220340420
HD channelsNone110140
Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
*Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
Can you pay Optimum bills online?
Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
Who owns Optimum?
Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: June 15, 2022

The service sucked, I would call to complain constantly, no change and no technician was sent (I work from home & the internet would go out in middle of the day). $200 gift card that I was supposed to receive, fought with them for 5 months. To cancel? THE WORST. Still waiting on a refund regarding overcharging my account. I’m disputing the charges with my bank at the moment. Customer service had me hours on end and did not resolve the issues regarding the billing, I even had to report a few for being rude and sarcastic. Forget escalating the situation, they even hang up on you after being transferred a few times because they can’t even get that right.

Let’s not forget they “offered” better deals to “resolve” the issue 5 times for them to send me an email the next day stating the charges were higher. I would call back and they would say the promotions offered were not approved by the back team. I have all the emails to prove with all the changes. They literally SUCKKKKK! Save your valuable time & money. DON’T get this service. Moved on to Verizon. WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Original review: June 14, 2022

This company refuses to take responsibility for their own errors. They are a million dollar company and yet they were their Penny Pinchers. They won't take a partial payment and restore service. They won't listen. They won't pull phone calls from the past with recordings to prove the customer is correct. They won't listen. They do a lot of, "I'm so sorry" and try to get you off the phone and they're full of garbage. It's disgusting. It's absolutely disgusting. They make me sick to my stomach.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I run a few businesses for years. Was on auto pay and the bills would be mailed to my corporate office in another state. I had to change the bank and now if you have auto pay you cannot get the bills mailed! They have to be emailed. I explained to Optimum that they need to be mailed and yet they cannot do not. You would think they would accommodate their customers that pay on time and yet they do not care. I also had entered the new bank account in January, yet they kept taking the money out of the old bank. Took me 5 months to get them to stop. Their prices are insane and the service is so bad. They know the people need internet so they do not care what we think. I am go glad I do not have them at home. HORRIBLE.

Original review: June 10, 2022

The actual service wasn't all that bad but I get a better service and price elsewhere and called to cancel my service. My gosh! I closed on my house faster than it took for me to cancel service with them. First 2 service agents disconnected the call after hearing why I was calling. Finally on my 3rd attempt they bounced me from department to department each one trying to convince me to stay with them. Over and over I said no thank you and they wouldn't stop. "I'll give you this promotion" or that promotion and would not listen to me saying I'm not interested. When all was said and done the phone call took 42 minutes to complete the cancellation. Don't start with them. There are better services out there and you will pull any hair you have let on your head out if you try to cancel the service.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Optimum always does these annoying 1 year promos, so every year I have to call to get the price I'm already paying. This year they said they will give an increase in speed for the same price. I wanted to just keep my speed for cheaper price, but they insisted. Techs come install and leave before it's fully connected. Says I'll be good to go in twenty minutes. Modem never connects I have to spend over an hour on the phone with a completely clueless customer service agent. Says it's my fault and I have to pay to have a technician come out. Now I'm stuck with no internet till they arrive and if it's not the equipment I have to pay them for not having Internet at their insistence of an upgrade I didn't want or need. All because they can't just charge you one price as a loyal customer but play stupid games with one year promotions every year.

Original review: June 3, 2022

After hiking the rate double to the promotional rate and getting subpar internet service I decided to switch service, little did I know that Optimum uses all tricks in the book to suck out money from you. When I canceled I was told that a technician will come by to pick up the modem. Something that never happened, sometime later I received a $100 bill with no explanation on it, but I couldn't sign in to my account because I was not a customer any longer so my bills are not available for me to see. And then I see that there was a charge on card for the $100. Before I had a chance to call the company I received a collection letter for the same $100, now Optimum cannot explain why I being charged and put through collections for something that is paid. Corp will make it hard for you to comply with their rules so most people will end up paying those small fees. WHAT A SCAM.

Optimum response

Hi Yuda, We are here to help and would be glad to further address the equipment charges for you. Feel free to message us back directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number if you were still seeking assistance

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 2, 2022

I am a 78-year-old disabled female on SSI and all I have is my TV & Internet for enjoyment. Optimum gives me 15 channels (My Amazon $10.00) antenna gives me more stations, but I need the DVR because some of my shows are on late and I need to tape them. I pay close to $99.00 and I have to pay $10.00 for 200 speed, which I did not order, but I was told I had to have it. I am not a game player, and I don't need that speed, I only check email & pay bills. Every month my bill goes up and they tell me it's taxes. Right now, I am fighting with them to get the ACP program of which I am qualified. This has been going on since 2/10/22. It's a shame what they do to the disabled elderly. They have absolutely no empathy, I feel the older you get the more advantage they take of you. I am trying to get another company because I am so tired of explaining things to them, everyone has a different story and none to my advantage. They will probably punish me in some way because of this review.

Optimum response

Hello H, Thanks for leaving a review. We are here to help and would be glad to take a look over your current services and rate to see if anything could be done to help out. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number.

Original review: May 29, 2022

Updated on 06/12/2022: Grrrr!!! Spoke with Erma R., Altice "Corporate" about my "cable/bill retaliation issue!" First Through Email (see attachments 6 and 7)

The woman was LESS THAN helpful, attempted to get Antsy with me and received the same energy she gave to me! She appeared to be annoyed with my questioning, didn't have my account in front of her- which she admitted to-was NOT knowledgeable and tried to offer me a "Promotion!" The "Promotion" would take me back to 11/30/21 (see attachment 1) when I was dropped from the ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program) and to top it off... the channels I had WILL NOT BE added back which means I will have basic tv which I had already requested on 4/30/22 (see attachment 2)! She said I was dropped from ACP in June and I told her, No...it was in November 2021(see attachment 1)!!

I told her I received an email from OPTIMUM stating I was still enrolled in the program (see attachment 3). She did absolutely NOTHING-as her TV blared in the background-I'm sure she was watching her favorite show while sitting at home with NO IDEA on a resolution! I don't get that luxury! She told me that she would get in touch with ACP to find out why I was dropped. I told her they didn't drop me! I read to her the email from OPTIMUM that says, I'm still enrolled (see attachment 3)! At this point she's annoyed that I can counter everything in her "Script!" She puts me on hold and says, "she reached out to ACP and will call me back when they respond!" Our "conversation" was on 6/8/22 (see attachment 4).

The very next day 6/9/22 (see attachment 5), she calls back and I'm thinking she has an answer for me... NOPE! Instead, she starts reading from her "Script" NEVER REALIZING that I'm the same person she spoke to the day before!! And this is Corporate?? This was UNBELIEVABLE to me! I had to repeat portions of our conversation from the day prior to refresh her memory!! She then says, "Oh, let me reach out to them again," speaking of ACP. My belief is that she NEVER reached out to anyone, otherwise she would've known to whom she was speaking as it should have been documented on her end... EVERYTHING is documented on mine!

She also told me that my bill is now $132...WHAT???!! That's a $7 increase since my complaint! Please See All Attachments, In a year's time my bill has gone up almost monthly either by dollars or cents! After ANY complaint, return of equipment or lowering of services...my bill is RAISED! My next step will be LEGAL!! They've taken SO MUCH Money from me and I'm only speaking of the last 7 years but, it's been going on MUCH LONGER!!

Attachments LEDGER (See Pictures)
    Blue Dot= COMPLAINT

Red Dot= RETALIATION

Original Review: I'd Give No Stars Of Applicable! Optimum has made my financial issues worse than they are! Retaliating against me by CONSTANTLY raising my bill whenever I made a complaint, lowered my services and returning their equipment after buying my own! How does a person's bill get raised if they're using their own equipment and has the lowest "package" available? THEY also removed me from the Affordable Connectivity Program...Meanwhile, their own information as well as ACP states I'm still enrolled!! Each time, I complain my bill is increased! I'm tired of paying this "RANSOM!" I've been going through this for DECADES, since they were CABLEVISION! This is the LAST STRAW...The amounts to follow have been for the past year, keeping in mind the different monthly fees, after I made complaints...ALL BECAUSE I CHANGED SERVICES AND BOUGHT MY OWN EQUIPMENT! They also took away a channel they promised to give me for 6 months!

Here are my bills for one year from April 2021 last year to now May 2022 (in that order) $187.02, $113.40, $127.43, $86.91, $127.42, $127.47, $127.50, $177.50, $125.25. Clearly the fluctuations in my bills are obvious! Something needs to be done about this ABUSE!! I would have long ago gotten rid of Optimum but, my phone number and other things are attached to them and they surely take advantage of that fact! I'm seeking legal options!!

Optimum response

Hello B, Thank you for your feedback. We are here to help and would be glad to further address the billing issue. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number so we could take a closer look from our end. Thanks!

Original review: May 28, 2022

Over three hours on a Friday evening! And still my cable is not working! They gave me a new box two Weeks ago which is defective, they sent me a new one and it is over three hours and this issue is still not resolved! And yet they charge a fortune for this ridiculous company! And nobody's accountable there it's disgusting and disgraceful

Optimum response

Hi Suzanne, Thanks for leaving a review. We are here to help and would be glad to look at your current services. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number.

Original review: May 21, 2022

On April 11, 2022, I returned a qty of 5pcs to the Optimum Store located in Elizabeth, NJ. I started receiving calls from a collection agency approximately a week later, which prompted my call to customer service on April 23, 2022. During the automated call, the automated system stated that I owed $228.19. After providing the necessary info to verify my account, I explained what the automated system said and asked if I had a balance on my account. The rep (I think his name was Justin) informed me that I didn’t have any other charges on my account and it is due to the merchandise that has not been updated on the account.

The rep that I spoke with also informed me that there was no proof of a merchandise return in the system. I provided all of the necessary details from my actual receipt, which clearly reflected my in-store return. I was asked one by one to verify the the equipment numbers. I was provided with confirmation # ** and instructed to call back after 7 days to ensure that my account reflected the returned equipment. He informed me that he would be issuing a ticket to have this matter escalated. During this call, I explained to the rep that I moved and no longer had access to my on-line account as it was closed after I called to have my service suspended due to the move. I also explained that I asked the rep if I had any charges on my account before notifying him of my move and was informed no.

In the meantime, this collection agency has been continuously calling from **. I called Optimum again on 5/19/22 (after another collection agency call) at ** at 4:39pm, explained everything all over again to Keyah and requested to speak to a supervisor. I explained how furious I was that my account info was endorsed for collections for equipment that I returned. I demanded to have the negative remarks removed completely from my credit. Keyah stated she would review my account and get back to me. I was left on hold for about 10 mins and then the call conveniently disconnected.

I immediately called back again at 4:53pm, demanding to speak to a supervisor while explaining everything again. Kelly then advised me that my account had a zero balance, however the equipment was not showing as returned. After being placed on hold I was informed that I would receive a call back from the supervisor in approximately 20 mins. I was also told that the automatic system was incorrect and she assured me that she would try her best to correct that. Which never happened.

I called on 5/20/22 at 5:52pm and spoke with Jenny. Once again, demanded to speak with a supervisor while summarizing the nature of my complaint. I requested that she read back the notes, which detailed the reasoning for my numerous calls. Jenny stated there was a ticket created on April 26, 2022 requesting a escalation as well as a supervisor call back. She then put in another request and promised to get a supervisor on the phone.

Shortly after placing me on hold, I was connected with a supervisor that had no knowledge of why I was calling. Jason sounded disinterested and stated “I have no information about your call. I thought you were the representative. I don’t even know how you got through.” I explained everything to him. He informed me that the equipment was received (according to him screen) and that there is a close-out charge to the account. I asked if he had different screen access than the reps as I was assured there was no other balance.

I also, requested to have all of the calls reviewed as I was informed by several agents that the balance was no balance. I explained that I provided my forwarding address during the initial call to inform Optimum of the move. I received no notifications by mail, email or text. I demanded to know how I was I notified of this so-called bill, which he couldn’t provide an answer for. According to Jason, this bill was due on March 22, 2022. He informed me that my account had been written off and they can’t remove anything my credit at this point. I requested the number for corporate and was instructed to go online to retrieve it. I requested again and was informed they don’t have a number for corporate and was advise to write corporate at:

Altice USA
    Attn: Shared Service
    1111 Stewart Ave

Beth page, NY 11714

Please stop supporting these deceptive, incompetent scammers!!!

Optimum response

Hi Hadiyah, We are here to help and would be glad to further address the equipment charges for you. Feel free to message us back directly at BrandReviews@alticeusa.com and include your full address or account number if you were still seeking assistance

Optimum Company Information