Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.92/5

Optimum

The Optimum brand, available in the New York tri-state area, provides a full in-home connectivity and entertainment experience through high-speed Internet, digital TV, and voice services, plus Optimum WiFi, the nation’s most robust WiFi network. Through its strategic partners, Optimum also offers a

variety of enhanced service and technical support options as well as smart home products to meet the connected home needs of today’s consumer.

View More View More

Optimum Reviews

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered so many new features. I’m glad I did not listen to the other reviews because this is a very good product. It is easy to use and I love the Netflix button and voice command on the remote control. I also love that the remote lights up when I am near it or touch from the motion sensor. Aside from that, the picture quality is excellent and there are never any freezing or delays like I had before. I spent years with other services but once I tried the new Altice One, I wish I did it sooner because it’s definitely faster internet and easier to use. The router being built into the cable box is beautiful too since I hate the mess of wires. I normally don’t write reviews but I am very happy with the New Altice Optimum and felt like it is deserved.

Original review: April 17, 2019

In lieu of Taking $113 (I think that’s the amount now) out of my Social Security every month for Medicare, with OPTIMUM, they only take out about $25 a month and I get $35 a month over the counter from their brochure, free. I have had x-rays, Dr. visits, blood tests, etc., and for every single thing I had I only paid $20 for an ultrasound of my stomach trying to find a kidney stone. There were no other charges at all. I am very satisfied with OPTIMUM.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had my Samsung cable boxes upgraded to the new Altice service. The tech was running late but called multiple times to let me know. They then sent a different tech. He was excellent! Our conversion was not simple as the primary modem was being relocated to the other side of the house. Our TV and wifi was up and running very quickly. We kept the old modem until I could run a telephone line to the new location. (now complete). The one thing I never took into consideration was that by changing to a new WIFI ALL of our smarthouse components and computers, printers, thermostats cameras etc. connected to our WIFI had to be re-educated. This took me a few days.

Fortunately I have some techno knowledge because I don't believe that Optimum would do all of that. Finally the last bit was switching the phone line to the new Altice box. I did this via a chat line with one of their techs. All is well at the moment. The network is significantly faster than the old one. The only reason I did not give them 5 stars is it would have been nice to have a heads up about the changes I had to make.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I am pleased with optimum. CS is great. But price is too high. And too many shopping channels and Spanish channels that I just don't use. More sports! What a waste.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

To start off- it took 5 different technicians to set up my cable. I have never experienced such inadequate service. Then fast forward a year and my remote stopped working. I called cs for help. They tried to help but ending up cutting off my service and finally indicated I needed a new remote and would send me one. When they cut off my service they also disconnected my internet that was connected to all my smart home devices. What a major inconvenience.

Two weeks later I still didn't receive a remote. I wrote a letter to the executive team and received a call. It took me calling them MULTIPLE time to get a remote- Finally received the remote three weeks later from the executive team- BUT NEVER FROM MY INITIAL CONVERSATION! After having no remote and no internet for THREE WEEKS they offered me $19 CREDIT! Besides customer service being incompetent- the service is terrible with remotes rarely working and service. Very disappointing overall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

For two weeks our cable has been rebooting and finally all service was interrupted with an "Err" message. We repeatedly called the support number for assistance. All boxes were missing channels from our package and we had no service on one of our three boxes. We decided to spend the day to resolve the issues. I called Optimum early today and after several attempts to reboot and restore service, I was advised to return the old cable box for a new one.

A return call to assist with the new box was done with no success. However, I was advised that it may take up to two hours for the issue to be resolved. Three and a half hours later with no success and a second box now out of service, I called again, explained the situation and was informed that since there are disruptions in the area, there is nothing that can be done. I told the support person that one of the boxes that was working is now out of service since it was rebooted for missing channels earlier today. She (Colby) repeated that nothing can be done since they are working in the area.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and Colby asked, why. When I explained that I've had limited service, missing channels, repeated attempts to restore a nonworking box and being told that nothing can be done, she said that it was not necessary to speak with a supervisor. I insisted and Colby hung up the phone. Uncooperative, Unprofessional and limited knowledge.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

First I want to review the actual product. While the Altice box is nice and sleek, the interface isn't the friendliest to navigate through and the apps are incredibly limited. You still have to buy a Fire Stick or Chromecast or something if you want to access anything other than Netflix. Next to customer service. When I signed up for the service I was told that taxes and fees were included in my price and that if i signed up for auto-pay I would get a $5 discount on my monthly bill. Well guess what, taxes and fees were not included and I didn't not received a $5 discount for signing up for auto-pay.

And this is where the story gets painful because of course, customer service is a pain if the spoon to deal with. The first time I called up, the customer service rep told me he had never heard of such a discount so I asked to speak to a supervisor. He told me they weren't available and that he would have one call me back. This was the first red flag. I told him to have a sup call me back which one never did. I called back and get a different rep that put me in touch with the retention department as they were the ones to issue the discount. When I talked to this rep I was told that I was already signed up for auto-pay, which I did myself, and because I had signed myself up there was nothing he could do and he couldn't issue me a discount. Even though the sales rep didn't specify this at all.

So I figure this out, I have to cancel my auto-pay and call them back up again, wasting more time on the phone going through all the auto-prompts and robo voicing, to sign up with them for auto-pay. So I finally do this and get confirmation twice now that i'm signed up for auto-pay and everything is all good but guess what, I get my next bill and no discount. I don't even know at this point how to address this issue as every time I try and get in touch with customer service to address these issues, they can't escalate and i'm not getting straight answers. The only good thing is that I am not subject to a contract and can leave whenever but I would not suggest going through the hassle of even signing up in the first place.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Don't let them fool you. Horrible Wi-Fi, glitchy cable, and rude offshore representatives. They will hang up on you if they don't have an answer. Just stick to Hulu and black market stuff. Amazon box, Apple tv, etc.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

No help provided, left to dry. Had to figure out things myself. Insane amount of charge every time someone visits and they don't even fix anything. Multiple times I have called and told them about constant issues that keep occurring, yet it has never been fixed. Just move on over to Verizon or something with way better service than this.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I would recommend avoiding Optimum at all costs. The company cut off my internet service at my home / home office due to a mix-up in their computer system. When I called customer service, it took 5 days of repeated calling for someone with any level of competence to look into the matter and call me back. 5 days. Then, the following month, I received my monthly bill, which included a $150 instillation charge. They actually charged me as if they did a new install at my house when in fact my service was disconnect by their error. I have still been unable to resolve the matter. Their customer service representatives are among the least competent I have ever dealt with and when you ask for a matter to be escalated, they promise a 24 hour call back. No one ever calls back. Again, absolutely horrible - avoid using this provider at all costs.

Optimum expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs