Optimum IO Cable

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

On 6/5/17 I called and said I wanted to disconnect from Optimum, but keep my e-mail since where I was moving to had Optimum. I was told I had to fill out a name change form... adding someone else's name and then when they received the form everything would be done. My cycle ended on 6/21. I filled out the form sent it back, returned the equipment and then called on the 21st to make sure everything was done. I was told that I and the person I was moving in with had to be on the phone at the same time. We were.

Ok, done. Last day of cycle, e-mail transferred, (could take 24-48 hrs), told original CS agent when I called on 6/5 that I wanted to disconnect. I called on 6/25 to make sure everything went smoothly, only to find that they never disconnected me and now I had to pay for the extra month. Spoke to several CS agents, transferred to different depts, finally someone says, I can have a $70 credit. Then I'm told that it should have all been done by 6/21, call when I get my next bill and it will be taken care of.

Get an email on 6/26 stating that as of 6/21 my account is disconnected. Get another e-mail on the same day stating I will be billed for the next month because it wasn't disconnected on 6/21. The equipment was turned in months ago. I have been on the phone with them countless times, they admit when I originally called I did ask to be disconnected and keep my e-mail, AND then I'm told there was no need for the letter and I could have been disconnected right there and then, (but the e-mail couldn't be transferred until later).

It's now 9/14, I'm still being billed, and they have sent my account to a collections company. I have the name, time, and phone number of everyone I have spoken to, including the account executives. They say they have recorded and listened to all of the calls and "know my voice". When I asked to listen to the calls I'm told, I'm not allowed. I have an email from them dated 6/21, saying my account was disconnected, which they claim was, "generated by mistake". So they want me to pay for the month, even though they admit their original CS made an error in telling me I had to have a name change letter, and I received a confirmation letter for the disconnection. Very, Very poor C. S. I will be continuing up the ladder. If need be I will keep going until I reach, Dexter Goei President of the Board, Altice N.V.. Chairman & CEO, Altice USA.

I have the internet service for 4-5 years. They tried to sneak in the charge for "modem fee" more than once. Every time I tried to solve the issue, I was transfer from one person to another and spent hours. I have been using my modem since day 1. I will not do any business with such company if I have other choices in my area.

I have used Optimum for years because they were the only option. For years I have had many service issues that have taken a lot of my time to resolve. I don't have time to fix Optimum! For years overtime I tried to watch a movie it would be pixelated and unwatchable. They kept coming over and telling me the service was good, they couldn't figure out the problem for 7 years. Just before I moved they sent someone who said he knew what it was. He changed things around and that was not the answer. It's very frustrating when you pay as much as I do for cable, phone and internet. Do we ever get what we pay for anymore? Nah!

I wait 5 days getting service from them. They schedule me for 8 am to 11 am. They never showed up and never called me back to inform me that they reschedule my appointment. When I called after 11 am, (3 times) they keep laying me telling me in 30 min, 20 min. And it's 2:30 pm they never showed up. Don't stress yourself. Don't deal with this terrible company. The worst experience ever. 0 STAR.

My family has used Optimum and its former incarnations for many years. We have received phone, internet, and TV from Optimum. Recently there have been problems maintaining Internet connections. We have found customer service to be inept, irresponsible, and, ultimately, worthless. Repairmen arrive hours after stated appointment window; promised follow-ups are disregarded; we are put on "hold" for an hour or more, and then are told we were connected to the wrong department. I wish we had never signed up with Optimum, and are now looking for alternative providers. I strongly discourage anyone from dealing with this company. Don't be seduced by promises. You will get nothing but aggravation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

Well I've been an Optimum customer when they used to be Cablevision. I've been paying all of the late fees and I still don't have service. I was told that my service was disconnected yet I paid over 600 dollars and I was paid. I was paying for a service and yet it was turned off for about a month and I was told I won't get back all of money I spent and this same company wonders why everyone goes to Netflix or Hulu or Sling TV. This service is way too expensive and the customer service DOES not do its job. This needs to stop and this company needs to take care of its customers not annoy or frustrate them.

In August I got an additional charge of $31. I called Optimum and they said that is a mistake happened on their side and they will fix it soon. But after one week I got another bill of $85 instead of my monthly bill $64. I called them again but this time they came up with some ridiculous explanation saying I canceled my account and reconnect it so I have to pay $85, so no change in the bill. They are misusing my credit card. I had similar experience with Optimum before so I am not surprised. Wasted my two days calling them. Calling them is a waste of time because they are trained for playing these dirty games. I will switch to Verizon. Optimum is the worse company I deal with. Optimum, please provide good customer service instead of rip-off.

I have the Optimum value package which include MTV2HD channel 55, now that channel is blocked. I called customer service today 8-25-2017 and spoke with Raul and I asked him why that channel has been blocked; he told me that channel is in Preferred Package. I told him that while talking to him I was in Optimum website and that the channel is included in that package. His response was that he doesn't understand why and the MTV2HD should not be included. So I told him that after all these time paying for that channel now is been removed? I told him that they need to revised the package and is not fair that me being a loyal customer for more than 4 years they just decided to removed the channel and still charging me the same, plus now they're charging for a modem that has been free after all these years. But that's okay cause they're losing another customer. Optimum every year is getting worse, bye bye.

On my July bill, I noticed an increase which turned out to be the modem fee of $4.95 plus tax. I later found out that this increase was buried on Page 2 of the prior months bill. Silly me... ad nauseam, I listened to the reps 'read' the response. WOW!!! Got an upgrade on the internet to 60 mbps and free service calls for the next 6 months. I scheduled a service call for Optimum to send a tech over to install my newly purchased modem/router. Hey folks... look at your bill. There is a line item for the router which reads 0.00 and for your internet connection. Mine says Optimum 60 $0.00. Can you guess what will be increased in the future???

Tech shows up 1 hr late. Yep. Wasted my whole afternoon. Has trouble getting this Arris modem/router to work. I made many phone calls to Optimum Tech support make sure this Arris model would work. A few glitches here and there. The modem/router is working just fine. Then I get my bill. Since being admonished by CS in not reading page 2 for those important rate increases, I laughed that I am now being charge $10 for the modem!!! Slick and sick Optimum. Not customer/consumer friendly at all. Waiting for the day competition arrives. May the art of streaming video change your ways. Discontinued my landline and love the savings. Change is coming with how we all view TV.

The company just gets worse and worse. I've had my remote control for 14 years at least. It's falling apart and sparks. I requested a new one be sent. I did not receive it in the 7-10 business days they promised. I called on day 14 and was told it was "approved" on day 7 and should have it no later than day 16. No remote. So I call on day 17 to be told it was sent and cannot be sent again for another 60 days due to the few dollars it would cost to send it. When I asked about the cost, he said it was reading posting another not the remote itself. "A few dollars over all of our customers results in millions of dollars," he said. This is the 2nd time I've had a bad experience with their customer service and they alone are the reason I will be switching my service when I have the money. A good company would just send a new result and not make me "contact the postal service".

I have been speaking with Optimum representatives for almost three weeks about discontinuing my service. I spoke to three different representatives concerning this issue because of their sneaky billing tactics. Two of these times they apologized and offered to give me an adjustment for the following month. However, they told me that I signed up for promotions that I did not and blamed me for billing issues despite them having made changes without consulting me. They also failed to explain that I would have to pay for one more month of service despite the fact that my boxes would be returned.

When I spoke to the supervisor named Susan she told me she's sorry and that it's a coaching moment but I still have to pay for the bill. She was very smug and unaccountable. I am glad I will no longer be doing business with this company they have left an awful taste in my mouth and I will encourage everyone who does business with them to disconnect and find a more honest provider and those looking for a provider to find service elsewhere. Do business with responsible and accountable companies! Customer service is EVERYTHING!!! Don't settle!!

Optimum is officially a broken company. You will spend 30 minutes plus just trying to get through to customer service. They will not pro-rate your bills if you disconnect mid cycle (Is this legal?). The techs they send to your home are rude and not trained to perform simple services like swap out equipment.

I was planning on returning equipment to Optimum, and they told me to go to a service center near Long Beach. That service center no longer is open for drop off of equipment. Then they told me to go to the one in Hicksville, which is about a 40 minute drive from where I live. They told me that even if I go after hours, there is a drop off bin where I can return my equipment, and my account would be identified by the bar codes on the router, cable box, and modem.

I made a special trip a long way to return the equipment and the drop off bin did not exist. There was only a drop off bin for payments. Then when I called to complain, they told me to mail back the equipment at my own expense, of course. These people are not only incompetent morons, they couldn't give a crap about their customers. I'm so glad I have Verizon as an alternate option for my service. Optimum sucks! Avoid at all costs.

I had Optimum installed last week. What a mistake. They gave me a three hour window from 11 am to 2pm. Needless to say the tech never showed. I call twice to find out the problem. I had to wait till 4:25 pm before they call me back to tell me the Tech will not be coming today. Five and half hours wasted. I made a new appointment for the next morning. Even though I requested to be the first customer.. They put in a 8 am to 11:00 am window. They showed up Twelve noon wasting another four hours plus 1 and a half hour install bringing it to a total of 11 hours of my time wasted waiting for Optimum.

I notified them that I expected some sort of compensation for my wasted time and the least they could do is throw the modem in for a year. After two days and two supervisors Donna and Julio, called back and offer me $20.00 for my 11 hour wait. I told him that was a insult and that he could keep the $20. I also notified them in about 3 months I will be leaving since your treatment of customers and customer service is that of 3rd world country.

My Internet routinely goes out between the hours of 10:30am and 4:30pm. When customer service is contacted, they tell me it's a problem with my modem... which has worked perfectly with other Internet provider. Of course, after I call about the issue, somewhere between 10 minutes and a half hour my Internet is back up... The best part is after my last call they "upgraded" me to a plan I wasn't even made aware of and billed me for it. I will be canceling my service with Optimum.

I was promised by Optimum Cable TV company, when I first ordered their services that part of the promotional package deal that I would receive a $200.00 gift card, it has been more than 6 weeks when I called customer service. There was one representative that he said that I was right I should have received it already, that he filled out a form while I was on the phone. He said I should receive the gift card by August 2, 2017.

I never received in the mail then I called again a representative of Optimum gave me a phone number to call. This is the number 877-425-8423. This is a recording stating the delay of the gift call to leave my number and they will call back. I never received a phone call. I feel this is false advertising on their part they promised this gift card so that people will sign up for their services, I have paid my bill for three months already, I am a good customer, isn't that against the law to do false advertisement. They should give me what was promised to me the $200.00 gift card.

This is the second instance when I stayed home from work all day for a service appointment that was not kept. Today a repairman was supposed to arrive between 2 and 5. At 5:30 I received a call that he was delayed and would arrive between 6:15 and 7:30. When he did not come, I called Optimum and after being on hold a long time, was told that he was rescheduled between 8:15 and 9:00. I was not informed about that delay. It is 8:30 now and I have no idea if he will indeed show up. I have remained with Optimum because of good service with the previous owners of the company. I now will inquire about alternative service companies in this area. In addition, my rates were increased without informing me.

The Internet modem has been free for years. Now Optimum has added a fee of $5 per month for the modem. Optimum is continually increasing its revenue stream by adding new fees. They added a fee for basic tv, a fee for my sports package, and now this modem fee. The modem fee was announced in the fine print of my previous month's bill. Reading and listening to the bs from their customer rep and their escalation rep Optimum is positioning itself for even more incremental increases in their service pricing. They kept me on hold for an extraordinary long time. Efforts to contact Optimum via online chat were similarly frustrating.

This experience has aggravated so much that I couldn't sleep last night. I am still extremely aggravated by Optimum and its lack of quality customer service. I have been an Optimum/Cablevision customer for around 50 years. Optimum has increased my monthly bill to $181 per month. This is price gouging by a money grubbing company. The customer and escalation reps tried to ease my pain by getting me to accept less tv channels than I currently have. Optimum has no respect for longtime, loyal customers. Please let me know if you have found a better option. Also please contact Optimum and let them know that this new modem fee is uncalled for.

Updated on AUgust 11, 2017: So Optimum retention representative gives an option to add Phone service to my Cable, and Internet services - this is the Triple Play - now, I am paying $14.95 a month for Phone service but overall because I accepted this deal - they are saving me $10 a month plus I will get a "free" $100 gift reward card some time in the near future. But I will still have to pay for the $5 per month modem fee. And I don't have to change my modem for the new 60 MBps service. Wait the story gets even better. About an hour after talking with the escalation rep - I get an email confirming my new Phone service. So now my bill will be $171.71 - $10.05 less than before. But wait - not 40 minutes later, I get another email from Optimum, telling me I can subscribe for their Phone service - wait - for $5 per month for the first year and $10 per month for the second year.

How should I respond to a company that offers so many deals - that they try to hide/confuse their customers with deceptive business practices? In the end we are screwed because they are acting like they have a monopoly. They don't care about their customers. They only care about their revenue stream. We are just more pennies for them to gather! Avoid doing business with Optimum - they are CROOKS! I also learned that they charge some folks $10 per month Modem fee. Beware of Optimum pricing. Beware the fine print!

On July 25, 2017 I received an e-mail from Optimum - "A thank you from us." The e-mail continued - "We're not just saying thank you. We're giving you some thank you gifts, starting with faster internet." "FREE 60 Mbps Internet - We're increasing your internet speed to 60 Mbps free. There's nothing for you to do - your speed will increase automatically. Please note: Your current modem is not equipment to deliver this faster speed. Please go to your local Optimum Store to exchange your current modem."

I unplugged my modem and drove to the Optimum store. Waited online and was called by a representative. I asked to confirm, how much is this going swap going to cost me? The rep said there is no charge. I took the modem home and installed it. Today I received my August 2017 Optimum bill for TV, Internet and Phone and notice there is a new charge for a modem of $4.95 plus.44 cents tax = and increase in the bill of $5.39. I called and spoke with a rep who said that on last month’s bill there was a addition in the small print on the back of the bill that Optimum was going to charge for modems $4.95 starting in August 2017. So on one hand they are charging for the modem when they e-mailed stating the modem was a gift. Beware of friends bearing gifts = Optimum is no friend to its customers using deceptive practices. Optimum speaks with "Forked tongue" they say one thing and then say another.

Looks like the next time Verizon Fios comes knocking on the door, I will invite them in to see what they have to offer. After 11 years with Optimum, I believe it may be time for a change as my bill used to be $190 and now it is $245 with no increase or additional service. It's not so much the money, even though I live on a fixed income, it's the lack of business ethics.

I had been an Optimum customer for years. I had some difficulty using the internet due to weak WiFi signal so I called the customer service to disconnect on Jul 28. The billing cycle was 23rd to 22nd and I already paid on Jul 6 for the service from June 23 to Jul 22. A rep asked me with no politeness why and said I must pay in full for the service from Jul 23 to Aug 22. Since I expected to get some refund, I asked again wanting to confirm if I wouldn't get refunded at all.

The rep didn't explain why I have to pay in full but was very rude with no care. I made a full payment on Jul 29 for the service from Jul 23 to Aug 22 and called to see if I owed them anymore before I returned their equipment to the Optimum store near me. A rep told me that the payment I made on Jul 6 covered the service from May 23 to June 22, which was rip off. All customers are billed in advance, which is their policy. When I called again, another rep corrected it. I am going to tell people to stay away from Optimum.

I had an Optimum cable service for the last 3 years. The deal was $89.93 per month for two years. The bill started to increase till $130; it was okay because we didn't want to change the company because we had it for multiple months. Suddenly, the bill increased from $130 to $170.20 so, we wanted to cancel it. We actually called them on May 28th but they told us we should wait until June 15th to cancel it but that was rude because we want to cancel it but they told us to wait to get their money; when we called them they were so rude and put us on hold for long time and didn't care about what we are saying at all. We waited and called them again but when we called them we were already dealing with another company because we don't want to deal with them again because they didn't care about the customer at all, they just care about the money that's it.

When we called them on June 15th, they told us, "Let's change the deal and all of these stuff" but we told them that we want to cancel it. They told us, "Okay someone will come and take the equipments but you have to pay the bill?" So, why should I pay the bill if I wanted to cancel it before the new month start? They keep calling us for the money that we are not required to pay because we called them to cancel it before the new month starts but they didn't cancel it till June 22nd when the guy came and take the equipments. So, it's their problem not ours? Why should we pay the money? Now, they make a complaint about us for not paying the money by the Sunrise Credit Service; they sent us a mail telling that we must pay the money or our credit will be ruined!!! Are they serious?

It's not our fault, it's the company and now the company is the complainant not us! Wow! Actually we will not pay the bill because we will not pay for Optimum and the new company. This is not fair at all and I don't want my credit to be ruined just because of stupid $170.20! It's the worst customer service I ever experienced before. If I could rate them with a ZERO star I will do it. And by the way it's not the money that bothers me. It is the bad and horrible customer service they are having. I don't know how to solve this and don't know if there is a class action suit against them, but I'd appreciate any advice on what to do now. For more details call us on **.

I had an Optimum cable service for the last 5 years. I disconnected the service on March 16th. At that time the rep said my account was up to date with payments and I didn't owe anything to them. Just the equipment that I returned 2 days later. A month passed and I received a bill for 179.00 for the service between March 16 to April 15. I called them and I said I didn't owe that month because my service was disconnected on March 16. They insist I owe them that month because my billing cycle start on the 15 of each month...??? Today I received a call from a collection agency trying to collect the money for the Optimum account. They are being helpless and rude on the phone. The worst customer service I ever experienced before. If I could rate them with a zero star I will do it. DO NOT MAKE BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!

This is quite a sad review to write. Being a third generation Optimum customer and a former Optimum employee, I can honestly say I have never been more dissatisfied with their business practices, customer relations and overall service quality over the past 3-6 months. I haven't been inconvenienced as severely as some of the other customers on this review page but nevertheless the recent changes the company has made has cause many to reconsider their service provider and I'm slowly falling into that trend.

The list goes on and on from un-prorated cancellations to over-exaggerations and lies by sales to false advertising. That’s right I said false advertising. Optimum claims to be providing 400/40 which I checked and is not available in my area. I understand that the city has access to higher levels of speed and that the outer suburbs haven’t expanded to carry more load but I really need it. The internet is flaky already. Recently, the internet has been going in & out non-stop and most of the higher-level TV channels are grainy and hard to watch. After much coax fiddling, I have no idea what the cause is and have no choice but to contact customer service. Which leads me to my next issue.

No matter what time of the day you call you must wait excess of 10+ minutes to speak to someone and normally at this point you are fuming. The automated system hangs up if you fight with it and certain calls you are forced to run troubleshooting steps. The reps who are quite nice have the patience of a saint to hear our troubles all day. I have worked in customer service and ever since one of their call centers, closed it’s been pretty much bedlam ever since and hell has been placed on its employees. Because they have downsized, it’s a whole different atmosphere and it boils down to the customers.

Adding insult to injury, after running all their tests, I must wait 9 DAYS for a service tech to arrive and possibly charge me. (And BTW no credit) I have never seen it get that backed up and quite honestly, insulting to loyal long-time customers. If I can convince my parents to drop TV and just get internet, I’d go with Verizon. Sometimes its quality of quantity. Au Revoir (Goodbye) Altice, I hope to soon get more fiber-optic in my diet.

In 10 years of being an Optimum Online customer this evening (about 5:10 pm EST) we had to call on an account where there were two billing errors, one for an installation fee that was supposed to be waived due to them missing our appointment, and the second charging us for an old account that was previously removed! Immediately the customer assault representative "Tina" from "billing" was extremely aggressive, disrespectful, and even threatened me that if I would not listen to her, and be yelled at by her, she was just going to hang up on me and not provide me the customer service I was seeking. Having no choice, I first listened to her lecture me how I owe the money, how I need to listen to her, how because the account was canceled on the first day of the new month (which it wasn't) I was still being charged for an entire month of service because Optimum charges you for the entire month of service even if you don't use it.

After trying to get a few words in and seeing it wasn't getting anywhere I asked to speak to a supervisor, which made her even more hostile, and she literally started yelling at me. To make a long story short in the end I was correct about being charged incorrectly for both fees, and she still tried to blame me for her unprofessional behavior. Another person on the planet blaming someone else for their behavior, and how they respond to someone else. She was a disgusting person to deal with and I hope Optimum calls me on this encounter (and she stated a supervisor would call me within 48 hours).

I had Optimum like 5 years ago and recently wanted to try their service again. I had an open bill that was never paid since that bill was for service that was not provided at the time I had Cablevision. Now when I wanted to open a new account they advised me I have to speak to the collections agency to pay my old balance and that's what I did. I made a settlement with the collections agency. Then I opened an account with Optimum and paid upfront the installation and first month of service. My bill arrived and realized there was a "recovery charge". When I called to find out what that charge was all about, I was advised that it is the old balance that was not paid 5 years ago.

I explained that I did pay it to the collections agency and made a settlement with them. They are not accepting my response and I never heard of a company claiming back an old bill which they gave over to a collections agency and asking for payment when I did make my settlement with the collections agency and have a zero balance with them. I am very angry and annoyed. I was on the phone with Optimum hundred of hours regarding this issue and every time I spoke to a rep or supervisor I was told they need 5 business days and promised to get back to me but never did. I had to reexplain my situation every time and finally got someone to look into this matter but he was very stubborn and kept on saying I must pay the old balance to Optimum. And by the way it is all of $43. It's not the money that bothers me. It is the bad and horrible customer service they are having.

Called Optimum because of wifi and intermittent tv failure. After waiting for 32 minutes, spoke with technician, he confirmed my home received no signal. Although it was an outdoors failure would not send technician unless we stayed home to give tech access. Both my wife and I work during day and could not hook up with proper timing... So for almost three weeks had no service 'til June 26 when my wife could schedule to be there for technician. The 27th, technician came and confirmed what we knew. The problem was 100% outdoors... Technician even told my wife he could not believe the technicians who were working on the same pole when the original problems showed up (3 weeks before) did not do anything to fix whatever was wrong...

Sorry I forgot to mention the problems with our service started the day Optimum techs were working on the pole behind my house and my wife told them the service was lost and they said they did not touch anything that could affect our service. And they were wrong and lied to her... They just did not want to get involved without a work ticket. Never mind. All of this got me upset but I just spoke with Optimum customer service. I wanted to get credit for not having service for almost three weeks... "In the invoice you can see there was virtually no wifi usage during June" - so I was told that nothing that happened prior to June 26 was in their system so she gave me the corporate line of "Sorry but unless it's in the system I can not..." That's like putting the fox in the hen house. They decide what's in their system and everything I might say is just lies... I can only say that going away from Optimum is one of my priorities in my household in the near future!!!

I have been with Optimum in the past but typically their quality of service used to be average but wasn't disappointing. Unfortunately they had crossed that threshold and graduated from average to worse. Recently I was approached by one of the sales executives from Optimum and was promised an amazing package. I was told that if I switch to Optimum I would get 100 Mbps internet, cable TV with gold package and landline phone with some international minutes for free (only for 119 per month including all taxes). Obviously it was too tempting so I switched. 15 days goes by and I come to know that I don't have gold but silver instead and then behold the bill arrives in mail and to my surprise I come to know the monthly bill is not 119 but somewhere around 150 instead.

I call the customer service and asked them check if this might be in some error but no, as per the amazingly rude customer service representative that is the correct price and I am the one who is a liar here. I thought maybe just maybe this one rep was not nice so I called up again and asked another representative about the same. This one recommended that I should just cancel the service and asked me if she should redirect my phone to their cancellation or retention department.

A word of advice to people who are planning to take Optimum, please make sure to get the details of the offer in official writing especially from that the reps that comes ringing your bell. Also, please make sure to carefully read the confirmation email with the billing and offer details. I really hope that someone from Optimum should consider these issues seriously and improve their quality and bring in good representatives who should work on getting the customer happy and bring in good rating to Optimum.

I requested my account be cancelled on May 12, 2017 because I sold my house and was moving out of state. I returned all equipment on May 11, 2017. They sent a bill requesting payment for a entire month from May 7 - June 7. I called and told them I was willing to pay for May 7th through May 12, but they refused. All other utility companies sent us a prorated bill, how is Optimum getting away with overcharging customers? I never saw anything in writing about this cancellation policy. It states in the "Billing Information" section of the bill that you are billed each month in ADVANCE for next month’s service. I did not use the entire month and am disputing these charges. I received a call from a collection company, phone # ** on May 22, 2017 and a letter dated May 20th from CBHV on May 24th. It seems there are many complaints about Optimum and hope this issue gets resolved. Please call if you need any further information.

No internet notice page on screen. Tech diagnostic via phone contact determined modem defect. Suggested service tech come. Result cut and replaced lengthened interior plug wire by cut backing then recapping wire. P.S. The cable was NEW AND SUPPLIED BY OPTIMUM. Estimated time 5 mins. 80. Charge to recap their own new cable??? I'm not convinced that was the problem!!! Recap was window dressing for 80 charge.

Had Triple Play service for 1.5 years. They increased my cost after one year. Service ok but not great. Only good thing is no contract. Fios showed up at my door one day and made me an offer I could not refuse. Same channels, much better equipment (optimum DVR functionality is horrendous), $30 per month savings, $250 Visa card, guaranteed pricing for 2 years and finally zero cost to transfer and install everything, oh and almost forgot, faster internet.

When I went to terminate my Optimum service, that is when I realize who I was doing business with. The agent kept me on the phone for an extended period of time to try convince me not to cancel. Annoying but ok. Fios install was already done. What was not ok was that they started to trash Fios with false statements like: he used to work at Verizon for years and they will increase your cost within 90 days without telling you, my utilities bill will go up 5 to 10% because of their equipment, Verizon charges for tech support, etc... Wow... Did not expect the mud slinging.

When Optimum increased my cost after one year, I called them to ask they restore to initial pricing. They refused. Now that I have actually changed service they are all of sudden willing to lower my bill $30/$50 and I am now supposed take another day off from work to have them reconnect everything. Well that ship had sailed. I could not get the guy on the phone to cancel my service so I told him I would call back to end the call. I then went to one of their stores on my way into work the next day to return my equipment and cancel. The guy there tells me I need to call this other number to cancel and that he cannot cancel from the store.

I call then and there and guess what, I get the exact same mud slinging... That tells me the mudslinging is systematic and not specific to a specific agent. They actual train people to say this stuff. I understand being aggressive to try to keep customers but lying and making stuff is completely different. I can guarantee that no matter what, I will never go back to Optimum.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.
  • Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.
  • Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.
  • Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.
  • Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.
  • Best for Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers