1.17/5

Optimum

The Optimum brand, available in the New York tri-state area, provides a full in-home connectivity and entertainment experience through high-speed Internet, digital TV, and voice services, plus Optimum WiFi, the nation’s most robust WiFi network. Through its strategic partners, Optimum also offers a

variety of enhanced service and technical support options as well as smart home products to meet the connected home needs of today’s consumer.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

694 Optimum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 25, 2019

I tried to move my business phone to my home phone. I spoke to three different customer service reps and still don’t have this fixed. First, it took over 30 minutes each time to get through, and I had to keep repeating the same information. Each of the three of them were not just rude but overtly hostile and my issue isn’t resolved. I requested a callback from a supervisor twice. That never happened. I submitted my concerns in writing. I finally received a voice mail follow-up. When I called back at the number that was left, they couldn’t find my account. Today I asked for a supervisor and was told that each of them has 5 hours of calls to make in response to complaints.

This is the most disorganized company, that embraces a hostile customer service approach, or their reps wouldn’t feel so comfortable attacking customers. I plan to move my service since I won’t deal with them anymore. It’s too bad that they don’t understand the value of culture training. They are hiring way too many people to deal with their service failures, and a simple directive not to be rude would save them millions.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Optimum changed billing date and now saying I'm due for disconnection. I paid them on 3/04/2019. Now they're saying the new billing to 3/15-4/15 and they do not make arrangements to with anyone. Not even for a lousy 4 days. I can't see how this is fair. Soon Optimum you will not longer be King in my town.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 22, 2019

This company will give you the runaround, refuse to fix mistakes they've made and you'll spend hours on the phone trying to reach someone, they will transfer you, hang up on you and refuse to do anything to help. I put my account on seasonal disconnect every winter. This year I called in December to put on seasonal disconnect, and they continued to bill me. When I discovered this and called in February they said they had no record of me requesting the disconnect. They have record I called on Dec 7th, but no record that I requested seasonal disconnect (that is the only reason I was calling!). After refusing to help me, and speaking to multiple people, one finally said a "manager" would review the recording of the call and call me back. That was 5 days ago. I've heard nothing.

There were downed cable lines on my property after a storm last year. Someone came out, said he needed a 2nd person there in order to fix that and they'd be back in a few weeks. Nobody came back. Nobody contacted me. Wires are still down almost a year later. The time and frustration I've spent dealing with this company makes me want to cry.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Altice is Awful. Out of all the services for a week without a reason behind why. Neighbors all migrated to another service because getting it fixed took forever. Nothing but issues since we signed up and even the techs have problems. Customer Service is useless!

Original review: March 20, 2019

I got Altice One March 2018. Had techs come many times and even told it's horrible. They can’t keep up with complaints and I should go back to a standard box or Fios. I had changed the box 3 times in a year and 6 remotes as well. 3 remotes in one week. Customer services lies. There will be a update that will fix the glitches and the issue with remote not pairing for Bluetooth speaker to speak to the box. Every day to every other day for a year and a month have to reboot the box. WiFi sucks. I open my laptop. Says the laptop's not connected. Have to wait minutes for it find my WiFi connection.

They checked my lines to the pole nothing. It’s just Altice One is garbage and they're charging a whole lot for service interruptions on a daily basis for over a year. I finally canceled the worst cable tv experience I ever had. They should be sued for all the money people are paying with this many disruptions. I really tried to hope they would fix it but it never happened a year in? Horrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: March 20, 2019

I’ve been a paying customer to Cablevision or now Optimum- Altice for about 30 years. Tv, internet and phone. This past December some stations were not coming in, MSG in particular, so I could not watch the Rangers. First I was told to bring in one of the two boxes I rent because they thought that was the problem. Didn’t work. Then I made an appointment for them to visit my home. They failed to make the appointment.

I scheduled another, they then determined it was cable outside my home from the street pole to my residence. Which they finally repaired. This started late Dec 2018 and was just fixed March 15th. I was told my internet was also compromised during this period, running slower than it should. When I asked for compensation for the failure of service and For all the time I spent on phone and chat with their service, billing and tech people, I was offered seven dollars. Seven dollars.

I’ve paid between 150 to 191 dollars a month with these folks and they offered me two free movies for the missed appointment and seven dollars for lack of full service for three months. Wow! Modem fee too went up 100% from 5 to ten dollars. Haven’t I paid for this modem already, stop making me pay to buy you more modems! It’s time for a change! The people I chatted with were always rushing to end chat cutting me off three times because I didn’t respond fast enough, when I was responding faster than they were. Folks I talked to were difficult to understand and totally useless! Cable is dead. Fiber is in... Hello Fios!

Original review: March 16, 2019

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE and cancellation "process". I called Optimum customer service on 12/07/18 to cancel services due to not living in that location. CS is unprofessional and cannot solve issues. I specified that I do not need more services. I specified that I don't live in that place for 4 months. Then I called on 12/22/18 to make sure it is canceled. They received my request and advised me to return the equipment. They also updated my new address. Then I received a bill for January and for February in spite of me calling them multiple times in January and February explaining that due to my husband disability I was unable to return equipment so soon. They kept telling me that I got charged for the equipment. I argued that they bill me for the services I requested to cancel and not for the equipment. Customer service is horrible.

The billing department is not aware of the cancellation policy. Cancellation dep. representatives could not read cancellation policy (I requested 3 times to be educated on it, but no one was able to find it fully). After multiple conversations (over 10 long demands), I finally receive a call from them on 3/16/19 crediting $90 (one month of the internet service), leaving me with balance and fees to pay. I still do not trust this company and will wait on the final bill. I used them previously it was satisfied. But this company is not the same. I will never use this company again. DO NOT RECOMMEND to anyone.

Original review: March 15, 2019

This company is terrible when it comes to customer service. I've had their service for 2 days and already I have having issues. Their email is inaccessible from my home. No router plugged in just my laptop with no firewall. The website is inaccessible and the email client fails when trying to email. Works perfectly from their wifi hotspots and other peoples houses so its obviously an issue in my area. Their staff is not only rude but forceful with their tone telling me they're not going to do anything about it. Even said they would charge me $85 for someone to come and they wouldnt be able to fix it anyway.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 15, 2019

Got the latest bill for Optimum cable TV service & associated taxes/fees when we don't have TV service (we just have internet & phone). They said there was an error in their system when the billing went out where non TV customers were charged for cable TV. Optimum will only give credit for cable TV service but will not credit associated TV taxes/fees!!!

They won't reissue bill with corrected bill to reflect no cable TV service so as to not calculate/charge TV taxes & fees. This appears to be a scam by Optimum to retain extra $ (taxes & fees) for services they did not provide. They made the mistake in billing and won't correct the bill!!! Imagine the number of incorrect bills sent out to their customers and they only credit back the TV service but retain the associated taxes and fees. It will add up to quite a lot of $ Optimum will retain for services never rendered.

Optimum response

Hi S, I have good news regarding the error you shared and the taxes involved. Accounts that have been identified as affected by the billing error, have had the taxes credited as well. When you view the upcoming statement, you will find a credit in the amount that counters the error. Let me know if I could answer any other questions or concerns for you, enjoy the rest of the day!

Original review: March 14, 2019

We have been having channel outages for the last 2-3 months - Error 23 and channels just not coming. How many time can you unplug and call them. Finally I asked for a service person to check equipment - 1st person checking inside boxes said "low signal" they have to check outside. Then 2 other people come to check wires near the house - said problem is bigger. I'm already thinking if this is a problem at main control box, this is a BIG problem that the company must have know about, and many households must be affected by these outages. We are just waiting for the day that none of the channels load up-out our "low" signal just goes out altogether. Very frustrated with this company!!!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Internet service down too often with no permanent solutions. I had a tech In home service done days before the Super Bowl because of the internet being down. The tech arrived and changed a splitter and said that the problem was corrected. Shortly after he left not only did the internet go down again but the TV and phone service went down as well. Customer service tried to help but nothing worked.

They couldn't send another repair person until after the Super Bowl. Needless to say I had to cancel my Super Bowl party. The second repair person who came said that the problem was caused by the outside cables. You would think that the first repair person would have detected that. Then they charged me eighty dollars for the first visit that was done inadequately and expected me to pay an eighty dollars charge for their incompetence. They refused to waive the fee. I have been with Optimum for 32 years and this is how they treat a loyal customer. Shame on them. Goodbye Optimum, hello Fios. Buyer beware!!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I called Optimum on 02/22 because of an increase in my bill and ended up telling them that I wanted to leave (then I called Verizon). Then on 02/25, Optimum called my home and spoke to my mother (I wasn't home) to confirm cancellation and Verizon came to install on 02/26. I received another bill on 03/07 detailing that I have to pay through 04/07 (the next billing cycle). I went to drop off the boxes and asked about the final bill on 03/08. The representative wrote the office number on the receipt and told me to call them to explain the situation.

Around 2:30pm on 03/08, I called Optimum and eventually spoke to a supervisor who is saying that 03/08 is my cancellation date and are charging me another month of service even though I don't have their service. On 03/09, I was sent another email that my last bill will get sent to me around 04/16, so I have two bills to pay according to the email. I don't believe that I have to pay past 02/22 or 02/25 because I requested to cancel.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Optimum changed their payment due by date so instead of it being before the next billing cycle it's by due date or late fee. I have been sending my payment via bank for the last five years at my current apartment. I never knew the bank two weeks to get them my payment until I saw a 10.00 late fee and I called. I said I have the payment going out well before the due date but for some reason my banks takes so long that it now crosses over to what's acceptable as late. So they gave me the 10.00. Curiosity credit. What a joke.

My next bill was already in the payment cycle sent by my bank which was going to show up late and they hit me again and when I refused to pay they tacked on a late fee on a late fee. I mean really I had to pay like ransom 20 extra dollars to stop the madness. Are there laws to protect us from this abuse. I called and called. No one would budge since I got the one time almighty Curiosity credit. Someone needs to stop this and I want my 20 bucks rather give to my St Jude charity than to those scammers. What can we do as consumers? Nassau County NY resident. and no Verizon is not in my building since Sandy.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Optimum is the worst internet service provider that I had ever experienced. The internet is so fluctuates that they tell you on your face "It's cable company. We can't guarantee the speed at all times". My bad in my area there is no other service providers and I have to go with them by force. They charge you for stupid reasons and the customer care never provides you the service you need. Service engg are the worst. They waste lot of time and always say that they can't do the service and would like to leave the home with out even fixing the issue. Have to follow up multiple times to get the service that you are paying money for. FIOS is the best which I am missing a lot.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Optimum new hidden increase is the elusive "network enhancement fee". Stealthfully hidden in the labyrinth of your online bill. Apparently no way to remove it or exclude it and these scumbags know they have you by the ** and just keep tacking on $10 a month late fee, always PRE-BILLING you for the next month, which makes it utterly confusing on purpose and now this. We want to drop them like a hot potato. They are the scum of the earth.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Wifi is the worst cable company, but of course it's the only service for my area. Good way to force people to use such a horrible service. The internet is slow, goes in and out all the time. I can barely download pictures while connected to wifi, and it's not even like I have a lot of devices connected to my wifi which is the sad part. Please be aware of this horrible service, and if anyone wants to boycott them somehow, please contact me!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 6, 2019

Updated on 03/19/2019: This a continuation of my original complaint. I replied privately: "I don't like artificial intelligence. 2 technicians arrived this morning. Said it was the coaxial cable on the roof. Said it is fixed. I still want a refund for outages. I kept a running log after 10 days/calls & being told you don't see any outage. I even took pix of screen & modem with lights out. Please advise refund. Thank you." In addition, the repairmen left the old cables, equipment. I can't put this in my regular garbage. I want them to pick it up. I still have not heard one word from Optimum. It has been a week. I received my new bill. It has not been adjusted. If I do not receive a reply within 48 hours, I am removing my bill from automatic payment & am going to remit half. I still have voice outages - have to keep Closed Captioned on. Certain channels still go out. I think I am going to have to look for another carrier.

Original review: My phone & internet service goes out almost every night around 11:30 pm & sometimes isn't restored until after 12 noon. When I call them, they say they didn't show any outage. What am I a liar now? So I started taking pix with my cell of the DVR error message. They won't give me a refund because they say my service was not down for a full 24 hours! I am a disabled senior citizen and have to look for another carrier. I can no longer deal with this incompetence.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I have cables hanging from my ceiling. Unsightly splinters handing from my ceiling. 2 guys were here and each was worse than the other. The cable could have been hidden but the chubby guy was too lazy. The 2nd guy was more of a newbie who made the job worse and said that’s the best he could do. Duh! Can you imagine a plastic surgeon who puts your nose by your ear and tells you that’s the best he could do. What the hell are you guys at Optimum doing? No sub-contractors. I WANT GUYS THAT WORK AT OPTIMUM. NOT A FLUNKY SUB-CONTRACTOR. You have 1 more shot!

Original review: March 6, 2019

Optimum is the worst company ever. Period. I’ve been a loyal customer for a while, moved and continued to be a customer. There was no other company with access in my building so I had no choice but to have Optimum. First of all, the customer service is horrible! I started to have problems with the internet speed at a specific time at nighttime, making calls several times to CS, resetting your wifi on their end then work for a couple of weeks and go back to the same problem. One time they told me to go to an Optimum Store and to change my equipment because it was old. Got there and after waiting in line finally got to the window and the lady said they don’t have more equipment and once she double check in the computer she said I don’t need to update my equipment that they were fine (yes, a big wasted of my time).

The problem continued and my bill growing in numbers too! So when I finally had the chance to switch company, I did it without hesitation. I’ve called to cut the service and was a week before “the end of the billing cycle” and that I owe $70, I asked for a final bill to be send it to me with that amount and not have surprises (sadly I knew how they are and was anticipating). I had never receive my last bill but received a collection bill for $90! And this all happened within a month I cut the service. Optimum is a joke and dishonest company. I’d never recommend Optimum to anybody!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Returned all the equipment for Optimum Feb 22, 2019 but I still received a bill for 03/01-03/31 for $240.68. I did a live chat with a rep and he tells me the "charges is not for the equipment. It's for the service". Meanwhile the bill says another charge for a late fee of $10 (I cut cable), $16.95 for Dvr (I don't have), $22 for 2 cable boxes (I don't have), and $10 modem fees (no modem). If that doesn't say they're charging for equipment Idk what to tell you. I even received a phone call from optimum about paying my balance and I said I was paying the whole bill soon. I asked what was the balance and she said $521.37 and I said, "WHAT my balance should be $511.37 for two months". Where that extra $10 come from? She says Idk but the bill will be due by 3/2 sat.

Two days later I get a bill in the mail for $752.05 and noticed they billed me for another month even after I returned everything and told the guy at the desk I cant afford it so I'm cancelling it. So even with NO equipment, and telling an optimum employee at store who took the equipment I was cancelling it, the live rep tells me that I STILL need to call the cancellation dept to let them know. Can you believe that b.s.? They're gonna keep billing you without equipment until you physically call them. Unreal! I dont have time to call and get the robot run around and deal with press 1 for this, press 2 for that. Cmon are they serious... SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I have been using Optimum services for a long time and the only reason is that there is no other option. I have a very basic cable and the internet and I am paying $138. the fees and charges keep piling up without notices. In May 2017 I opted for the very basic TV and the internet and I was paying $92 and now after less than 2 years in March 2019 the bill has crept up to $138. Any new customers, just be careful. I do not recommend Optimum to anyone.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have never felt so disappointed and disgusted by a company as I am of Optimum right now, I’ve been an Optimum customer since 2010. Usually when I have to move my service, for the most part it goes without a glitch. However now, I don’t know what is going on. I’ve been on the phone with Optimum sales/customer service since Thursday. I’ve call everyday and stayed on the phone for over half an hour, just to be lied to and deceived, no one follows through with what they said, and no one helped. I’m going elsewhere.

When I called on 02/28/19 the agent stated that she gave me an appt for Saturday 3/02/19, then I received a call that afternoon (same day) to confirm my appt. I was confused and called Optimum on Friday 3/1/19 to confirm when my appt was, they told me Friday, and said no because I was in the process of moving, they then said there was nothing available for Saturday. I felt like if the lady from Thursday messed up my order, someone should fix it and give me an appt for Saturday, as it should have been. The person I spoke to on Friday morning from customer service (Rajkar), sent an email to dispatch to seen if they had anything sooner than Sunday between 2:00-5:00. He put me on the schedule and I waited for dispatch to call me. They didn’t.

I called back this morning 3/2/19 to see what’s going on. I spoke to Maria. She stated that the dispatch team told her they contacted me, they didn’t, and not only that, dispatch cancelled my appt for Sunday without contacting me. What kind of nonsense is that? I’ve worked for customer service for over 5 years, when an agent in a company makes a mistake, the CUSTOMER DOES NOT PAY FOR IT, the manager or customer service manager try to accommodate the customer, not slap some flimsy apology on it and believes it makes it better. Oh and did I mention I was a nursing student, so is my sister and we can’t do anything without internet. Now, I hear that I’m on the schedule for Monday. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL MONDAY TO HAVE INTERNET, lots of my assignments are on BB9.

I shouldn’t be paying for your associate’s mistake or your dispatch cancelling without reaching out, have they never heard of an email, a text, a call, a smoke signal, something. Customer service need to do better, Optimum in general need to do better, either they don’t about the service they provide, or they don’t care about their customers, and in that case, just close the the whole company and make space for others which intend on doing better.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Never deal with them. First it takes forever to even talk to a rep if your bill is behind, the system will not allow you to unless you make a payment. They are billing me for a service I asked them to downgrade. And set up an appointment for a service upgrade I never scheduled.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Optimum by Altice is my ISP and beginning with my February 2019 bill they charged me $2.50 over and above my regular monthly internet charges. I called them and one of their customer reps said it's a fee to cover the costs of building out their fiber optic network. I've seen their trucks in the neighborhood working on that but I do not have a fiber optic connection to my residence. Optimum refused to remove the charges from my bill so I've filed a complaint with NYS Department of Public Services. All Optimum Broadband customers in NY should do the same. Not only do they rip us off for monthly internet charges that are way too high but now they want us to pay for their capital projects. I never signed up for that. And neither did you!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I got Xfinity from Comcast for at least 10 years before I move to an area where my only choice was Optimum. Some Initial comparisons: Xfinity: Able to watch TV and recordings on a tablet anywhere. Optimum: You can just watch TV on a table in your home (oh yes that's also where I have my TV and don't need a tablet). Xfinity: You can watch TV and recordings on your desktop and schedule or change recordings. Optimum: nope nothing works because a desktop has an external display.

Xfinity: Never got problems viewing recordings from my dvr at home or anywhere else on a desktop, laptop or tablet. Optimum: 3 out of 7 days per week my recordings are all blurry and impossible to watch because the cloud recording is send to where I live by satellite and when the weather is bad the reception is very bad. If I watch it the next day the recording might be perfectly ok. Why cloud recording. I can't watch it anywhere outside my home anyway, so just record it on the box in my house.

I pay more for my Optimum service for internet and cable as I did for Xfinity internet, cable and phone and my internet speed is half of what I got with Xfinity. Whenever I have an issue in the evening I can never get in touch with a tech from Optimum. With Xfinity I could always get in touch with a tech 24/7. And don't get me started about the remote. Yes Xfinity has buttons that light up when you move the remote, really handy during the sleepless nights but you don't want to switch on the light to see the buttons. Also the Xfinity remote is voice controlled, really great.

On demand from Optimum is a joke. Another reason why I don't understand why they charge so much more compared to Xfinity. I work from home 4 days per week and use a vpn to log on to work. On average I get disconnected from the vpn 4 times per day with Optimum. That's exactly the number of days I got disconnected in 2 weeks with Xfinity. To be honest I was always unhappy about the price point from Xfinity and the fact that they force you in 1 or 2 year contracts. Well right now I beg them to come in my area and force me into a 10 year contract. I just can't live with Optimum anymore and in the future when I move again one of my decision points will be the cable company servicing the area.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I switched from Verizon wifi to Optimum recently... WORST DECISION EVER. Once we got the Optimum router installed, the wifi speed was great but the wifi fails to stay running. There hasn't been a single day without the internet going out MULTIPLE times. My family has called, and had technicians from Optimum come to our house and try to fix the problem but they clearly don't know what they are doing. They came twice and said that they have fixed the problem. But an hour after they left the wifi goes out once again.

I don't know how Optimum has any business at all if this is how well their internet works. I don't understand how they have customers that have important things to do on the wifi because you literally can't rely on having connection. What if you had to work from home and can't make a phone call because of Optimum's crap wifi, people would lose their jobs left and right. Anyone reading this...do not waste your time and money with Optimum internet.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My 2 year contract with Optimum ended in September 2018 and prices immediately increased. I called in October after I got the revised/increased bill to ask for the charges to remain the same otherwise I would cancel service. They would not meet the old price which was approximately $15 a month difference. I called promptly as indicated by the representative to end billing service on Nov 1 so I would not have to pay part of the next month cycle. They repeatedly called to solicit me at work. I was not interested in remaining a customer nor will I ever be one again. Then I received another bill in January and called immediately. I spoke with a representative on Jan 15/2019 who assured me there was a mistake and I owe nothing.

Yesterday, Feb 27, 2019 I got a call from a Collection Agency. The harassment they put you through is relentless. They said I owe a the FULL month of November - November 1st through November 30th for ALL SERVICE AND EQUIPMENT for the month whether I used their service or not since I called on Nov 1st versus Oct 31. The representative said they can bill me since they know my name and my address. I have now had to reach out to a company that I never want to deal with again. I am not indentured nor due. I owe money to them just because, as the representative indicated, because they know my name and address, and unfortunately my number. This is an absurdity.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I signed up for the $19.99 internet for one year. It was supposed to change to $24.99 after the first year. After the first year I was billed for $29.99. After much complaining they checked the recording of the original conversation and verified I was right. They gave me $60.00 credit and started charging $29.99 a month. I just received a new bill where they started charging an extra $2.50 for "Network Enhancement fee ". There has BEEN NO NETWORK ENHANCEMENT. The last time I called tech support was because my 5 Mbps upload speed was 2.3 Mbps. Today I called billing and the girl agent said, "I will transfer you to tech support." That was over two hours ago. They have no intention of helping me today. Very poor service from an agent in a distant country.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have been using Optimum for several years. Beginning Feb 2019 my bill went up from $39.99 to $42.49 for service optimization and upgrades. I called Optimum and asked for removing this charges from my bill as I did not agree to them. They transferred me 3 times with no result. I asked to talk to a manager and was transferred to a supervisor Ewin at billing department who could not help me either. I filed 3 complaints for being put on extensive hold without a proper excuse, not letting me to talk to a manager, and for abusing my right as a customer to remove the fee from my account. I was advised by a supervisor that my call will be returned by one of his 3 managers (Clarissa, Guroa and Hose) same day. None of them have returned my call at all.

I called back 4 days later, asked to talk to the same supervisor and was put on 2.5 hrs hold without coming back to me. Then my call was picked up by a representative from a tech department who started my account verification process all over again and had no notes in their system about the representative I spoke before. He also could not find my complaints except 1 about the charges. So I filed more complaints that were not put in the system before and again for unreasonable, unprofessional and negligent wait time for 2.5 hrs without returning to me. At the end, new fees could not be taken off my account because everyone is paying them now and managers can't do anything about it. Isn't it a pure abuse of customers rights after all? Looking for a new provider now.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Updated on 02/27/2019: This is a follow up to my post on 02/25/2019 regarding my cable company and the frustration behind canceling phone and TV service. As a loyal customer for decades I still wish to continue with their internet service. As technology in the cell phone industry has grown by leaps and bounds the home phone has pretty much become extinct for many people. Why pay for a landline phone when it sits on your nightstand collecting dust?

TV live streaming, smart TV’s and other technology is now available that wasn’t ten years ago. Right now the cost for these services is a more affordable choice for some. Why pay for sports package surcharges when you never watch sports? Why pay for 220 channels when you only watch a dozen of them? We are all caught in the internet, TV, phone bundle trap. These bundles and packages claim to give you a cheaper rate but that idea has become somewhat outdated. There are other options out there now with the progression of time. Optimum needs to keep up.

Offering higher internet speeds is nice but I still don’t need a home phone anymore and I don’t need a bunch of channels I never watch no matter what package I am offered. So long story short here we are in 2019. The times and technology have changed for the good of the people. When a loyal customer calls and request an antiquated phone service be dropped why increase the cost of the internet. Same goes with the TV service.

My recent disconnect from TV and phone at Optimum was a disgrace to a longtime loyal customer. You will still receive my on time payments for internet. The only difference now is that I can afford it. There shouldn’t be the feeling of threat or entrapment through some sort of high pressure sales scheme. A conversation with customer service shouldn’t be a hundred excuses why you must charge a ridiculous higher rate. A person requesting a service be dropped should get that request filled without having to fight for it. Without undue stress and anxiety. To top things off the customer service representative should do what they say. Let the customer know if you intend to charge a one time fee of $99.00 to connect your TV even though your TV is already connected. This particular charge is one of the most outlandish and another dispute I must negotiate.

In my opinion it seems like bundles and promotions are a way to prevent the public from leaving your company. Sure they sound good when you signed up twenty years ago but try and cut back and you will pay dearly for it. Maybe there needs to be a state guideline on just how and what the cable companies can do under these circumstances. If guidelines like this already exist are they being followed? Who is overseeing this operation? Why does the consumer feel like the cable companies are holding something over our heads? If everything is ethical and legal already maybe the laws need to catch up with current times. Easier said than done I know.

Original Review: Called Optimum to cancel my phone and cable TV service as a cost cutting measure. Customer service gentleman explained that my internet only bill would increase $5 per month from $72 to $77 because there would no longer be a multi plan discount. That sounded reasonable to me and he then transferred me over to the disconnection department. A woman in this department explained that $77 was not the correct amount and that I would pay an extra $20 for a higher speed of 200 Mbps plus modem fee and other charges that were just tossed out at me. She came up with a cost over $100 for internet only. I currently have been paying $72 a month which includes the $10 modem.

After several back and forths and being put on hold a final cost of $83 per month was the lowest they would go and that is if I agreed to keep basic cable even though I could no longer view it without a set top box. My sister in a bordering town went through this same process last week and finally got her bill down to the $77 quoted by customer service. I really wish the attorney generals office would look into what is happening.

As cable becomes too expensive many are dropping it for other or no service at all. I believe cable companies may be scrambling to keep their revenue flowing but all these extra fees, surcharges, upcharges for their slowest speed of 200 mbps that you didn’t ask for in the first place. I have been an Optimum customer for decades and this is how they treat customers who still wish to use their internet service. You definitely feel as though you will be punished should you decide to exclude anyone of their options.

Optimum expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs