Optimum IO Cable

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Disconnected my internet, phone, and TV service today only to find out they will charge me for the entire billing cycle which is an additional 15 days; no prorating!!! Seriously? I have used other cable and satellite services in different states and this is the only THIEVING company that has done this. I filed a complaint with the FCC. If there is any attorney out there reading this, let's start a class action lawsuit against OPTIMUM. This is unconstitutional!!! I will NEVER be using them again, EVER!!!

I called today to cancel my Optimum service since I now have Verizon FIOS. The price of my Optimum service was going higher and higher and the internet was ridiculously slow. The rep offered to suddenly give me a promotional rate which would take $50 off my bill and double my internet speed. I declined since that would still be half the speed I have with Verizon. Then he informed me that I still owed them to the end of my next billing cycle, which is three weeks from now. They apparently have a policy and they don't prorate months. I've been a customer for over 20 years and this is how I get treated. I told him this is a perfect example of one of the reasons that I'm cancelling my service.

I am constantly getting dropped with their internet service at home and at my business location. Compared to Fios, you'll be getting higher ping with your internet service and this ** is getting ridiculous. I call support and I have to wait 30 mins or longer to just to speak to someone. At the end of the day, all I get from them is, "It is your equipment issue." However, I never had this issue with Verizon Fios.

I terminated my Cablevision service Nov 2, 2016 and was told I had to pay Nov 1-30, 2016 even though I am no longer connected or receiving services, due to a new policy started Sept 2016. They no longer prorate your bill. I filed a complaint with the NYS Public Service Commission that regulates utilities including cable. According to them they do not regulate corporate policies, therefore it is legal for these companies to rob us. I got a call from the corporate complaint dept at Cablevision who explained that I still could use my mobile app!!

Have been a customer of Optimum for many years. We have a seasonal home and shut off service every Fall. Bills have always been prorated. Optimum changes their policy and tells us on the day of shut off. Now they expect me to pay a month ahead for service I don't have. We shut off 5 days into the month. That's all they are getting and they are losing us as a customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

I didn't realize that you can't call Optimum after 8 PM about billing questions. I try to explain four people died in my family and I said I'd be a day or two late to pay my bill. About 15 minutes ago they cut my service. I never had a problem in 23 years.

I signed up for Optimum Internet but not the cable or TV package. At the time of signing up apparently I was offered a 1 month free trial of HBO GO. I was not aware of the free offer, never used it and of course was not aware it was my responsibility to cancel the HBO GO service. I have been charged $14.99 now for several months. Optimum are not prepared to refund the charge so I am burdened for the cost of the HBO GO service for 3 months. This is a marketing scam and both Optimum and HBO should be embarrassed that they need to resort to these types of scams to drive business.

If you have Optimum as an internet provider you should know the following. If you pay for Ultra 50... good luck. You will only get 40mbps or less in a good day... Reason number 1, Optimum saturates the node (too many customer in the same node). They will tell you it's an issue with your cable lines in the house. When they know exactly where is the problem. They send a technician to replace the modem or router. That doesn't fix the problem and they know it. Same for Ultra 75 or Ultra 100. WITH OPTIMUM YOU WILL NEVER GET WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR!!! This year they replaced the modem and router 4 times in my house... same problem. Optimum is the worst internet provider.

I want this company to stop it with their unfair business practices. When the heck are you able to order a PPV wrestling event without calling them. They are out of their minds if they think that they can have minors in a household charge up a customer's account. Never in the 16 years at this address had I EVER ordered any PPV event. How dare they tell me they can't prove it. I shouldn't have to being a good honest customer with history of not ordering live events. Besides I feel my right have been violated. And now they told me I have to wait for a credit since I complained. Had I just taken a 1 time lifetime credit for just 1 of the unauthorized items I would have received it already but since I failed to take a partial credit I have to wait extra long for a refund. I mean really WHO DOES THIS TO PEOPLE? WTF is that representative telling that me BS.

These people are using childish unprofessional behavior to try and say they can bully their way to charge you for services NOT rendered and then MAKE YOU WAIT A LONG Time since you couldn't just settle. I had a minor in my home who is just a child. Have the ability to order stuff. This is unethical bad business. I want a large petition for reimbursement to all immediately. Everyone who got scammed from these con artists let go get our money back from these corporate crooks. Anyone who had unauthorized charged PPV events or movies purchased without Household owner approval... Join in the petition. Come now.

These cable corporate crooks... Can make you call to add a service. They can make you call to order PPV events. I will not yield to these crooks. I am looking to stream my TV elsewhere, because it is highway robbery to be paying $169.00 every month for TV. Which used to be FREE. They devised this plan so one day all had to pay. Okay but when you charge me for something that we did NOT order, DID NOT watch, and ESPECIALLY did NOT get any consent from me you will not charge me. Crooked cable company. You're going down!!!!!

I had to call Optimum to ask for old wire removal from previous owner (and new service after that). I called 4 times and first time they said they will call back and never did. 2nd time, person transferred to "the department in charge" after half an hour wait. That person made an appointment within 2 days, I was happy when he set the appointment 11-2 pm. He told me I have to be at home during that time and they will call us before they come so I waited staying home for half day waiting but nobody showed up nor called. At 7:45 pm on that night, there was voicemail left by "unknown" number saying they couldn't work because nobody at home. That is clear lie. Also they should call with caller ID of Optimum, at least number showed up. Who would like to pick up "unknown" especially at night!

I called back the number immediately. This time (3rd) that person (customer service in Connecticut) also lied they came today but nobody was home and phone call was not answered. He said there is a report that the service person called my number even though he knew the call was made 7:43 pm for 11-2 appointment. Then, the person rescheduled me on Sunday 10-8. Excuse me, 10 am to 8 pm? He said yes and told me if I don't pick up the phone and if I'm not at home (from 10-8), they don't work (even though it was removal of the wire outside). I waited. I was there all day waiting. Then again, Nobody called, nobody ringed the doorbell.

Obviously I was so frustrated (who wouldn't?) so I called next day (Monday) and the customer service Maggy. She said somebody was already there and took care of the job (it wasn't) and they had no need to call us or ring the doorbell as it was outside. Thank you for wasting my whole Sunday for you guys! Btw I had to repeat all the information and situation from the start as she couldn't pull out the information from phone number nor address. After I talked with 5 people at Optimum, I concluded everybody at Optimum was so incompetent, unprofessional and dishonest. They say different things every time! They ruin and waste customer's time and don't even care. Even though we need new cable, we would never ever use Optimum. Optimum lost a new customer due to incredibly poor management.

On Monday (10/17/16) I switched to Verizon FIOS as my cable bill kept rising and Cablevision/Optimum was unwilling to offer discounts when I called a few months back. Today I called to cancel services as I needed to wait 3 days from 10/7 to allow time for the porting of my phone number to my new provider. Apparently on 10/10/16 (7 days ago) Optimum changed their billing policy to not issue credit for unused days remaining in the billing cycle. I'm sure people often switch back to a prior provider for various reasons (as I have done twice before) but by their greed of not stopping services immediately and issuing a credit for unused days, they assuredly will not see me returning as a customer. It's amazing that a company can get away with this without the customer signing something to acknowledge and agree to it. Greed gets you nowhere Optimum. Shame, shame, shame.

After being an Optimum TV/Internet and Phone customer for 8 years I cancelled my subscription due to fee hikes that were intolerably large and too expensive for my budget as well as rude customer service. When cancelling my services, 5 days into the billing cycle, I was told that I would still be charged for all services for the remainder of the month regardless of disconnecting all services, cancelling my account and returning all hardware.

In all prior instances, with other providers I have been pro-rated for the usage of the month while my account was active, and once my service was disconnected I was no longer billed for the month. I think after all these years of loyal business relations with Optimum that being charged for 25 days of usage after cancelling my service is unacceptable and should be illegal. How is it fair for a corporation to charge you for something when you are not even using it?! I do not want to pay for services that I am not using any longer and neither should anyone else, ever. FRAUDULENT AND UNSYMPATHETIC TO LOYAL CUSTOMERS!

I am a customer of Optimum that has chosen paperless billing, which is encouraged, in efforts to "go green" and reduce the amount of paper used. I receive two emails a month. One that notifies me of my available statement, and one that notifies me when my payment is received. In the first email is a link to my statement. I can see my current statement, and any previous statements. I can see full account details, and even important notifications, such as the one listed on my August statement. When I click on the notification, it takes me to a PDF of recent changes to channels and pricing. Nowhere in any statement does it indicate that there has been a change to policy that affects my rights.

I only learned of this change when I called Optimum to cancel my service, as I am moving on October 31st. After a very long conversation and going through my statement line by line, the assistant on the phone still could not understand why I was not seeing the policy change notification. I then clicked on the upper right hand button that says "to save or print bill as PDF". PLEASE NOTE that nowhere, on my statement does it says that this is necessary. In addition, nowhere does it say that there is VITAL INFORMATION ON THE PDF VERSION THAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE ELECTRONIC VERSION. This is where I discovered that Optimum keeps information from its customers. Optimum includes information in a printable version of the bill that is purposely NOT included in the electronic version, nor is there any indication that I should print a version of my statement because of this additional information.

When I did click to print my statement, I saw the policy change notification. I also noticed an included LINK within this notice that takes me to: https://optimum.net/billingchange. This important link describes how my rights are affected as a customer in nowhere to be found, anywhere else on my profile. If I were to "print" out my statement, there would be no need for a clickable link... so it is deliberate that a link is provided in a PDF version of my bill that is only intended for saying or printing... meaning that a customer who uses paperless billing and online billing would have to somehow KNOW to click on "print" then see a link provided and click on that link to get information that affects their rights. This is the most inconvenient and intentionally suspicious way to notify customers of this kind of information. Unfortunately, this is not the only cause for my complaint.

I also wish to complain about the policy itself. I refuse to pay for a service that I cannot even use, which is what your policy does. I need to move out of my current home on the 31st of this month, October 2016. I am forced by Optimum to pay for service through November 22nd, but I will be unable to USE THIS SERVICE after the 31st, because I will not be LOCATED in the location that I am paying service for. Forcing customers to pay for a product or service that they cannot and will not use is abusive. The only option I would have had is to change my billing cycle, which I am unable to do at this short notice. In fact, for the entire year of using Optimum, my billing cycle had nothing to do with my need to cancel my service, until now. I was "notified", i.e. information was hidden from me and then used against me, since now I am unable to make the appropriate changes to save me from paying for a service that I cannot use.

If Optimum was a company that cared deeply for the satisfaction of their customers, they would see the error that was made on the company's part, and would do everything possible to rectify this. For our situation, we would be given the opportunity to ONLY pay for service used, i.e. from October 19th to the 31st. We would not be penalized by having to pay for a whole billing cycle. Please note that I will try to take the necessary action to make our experience with Optimum publicly known and will seek local legal assistance with this matter. Optimum has a choice to help us to avoid a much longer and tedious process by simply allowing us to pay for only the service that we will use.

Especially, that was the reason why we signed up in the first place for Optimum. Allowing customers as all providers do, to cancel their service whenever they want. You always pay for the service you use. We understand if they first ask you to pay the entire monthly bill and receive a later day the credit for the days we couldn't use the service. But unfortunately that is not the case. We unfortunately don't have the option of such choice. The choice we had when we signed up for Optimum.

TO RECAP. We only can cancel our service based on our billing cycle. A billing cycle we have no option to change. Our installation date was October 16th, 2015 but because of their internal system, they moved us to the 21st of each month. Without notifying their customer of this CRUCIAL change of policy by email or alert in the account profile, we have no option that to go by their change of rules. This cannot be justice. Even if we found the hidden notification on the bill, we still had to wait 2 months before we can effectively change our billing cycle to the first day of the month. Current customer or customers who thinking to choose optimum... BE AWARE WHAT KIND OF COMPANY YOU ARE ABOUT TO DEAL.

We have been calling and complaining for months now about losing dvr service at night, constantly being kicked the Internet and losing phone services. After months of going back and forth, them changing the lines in the house, each one saying it was the previous tech fault, changing the lines outside my apt and down the entire block, changing out our router to their router, having the electric company come out and repair their wires etc, etc, etc. Now I'm being told that the reason it doesn't work between midnight and 4 am is that is when they run maintenance. I asked if they run it every night. "Well no the other times are probably just outages in your area again almost every night". Well no.

So I found a website to file a complaint with the FCC (you can do this as long as it is a bundle). So anyone having a problem with service at Optimum can go on to consumercomplaints.fcc.com go to phone TV Internet file complaint. Fill out your info/complaint form. They contact Optimum corporate and follow up to make sure the issues are handled. I Never knew this before so I will be posting this on whatever social media pages I can think of.

It's like they just hiring these people and throw them on the phones. I've been hung up on 4 times now over a stupid remote setting that isn't working when I try to do the online tutorial. 32 mins on hold with one rep over a remote! I ask to speak to a manager. She gets defensive and hangs up on me. I'm sick of garbage customer service when I need it. Do you think I want to be on the phone on my day off arguing about a remote setting?

Had one month overdue. One month. Sent out the check few days ago. AND THEY CUT THE SERVICE!! Like wth. Since when do any company do this. Over one month. Tried talking to customer service agent. But guess what, everything is automated. Their customer service is the worse.

I have been a satisfied customer of Optimum for the past 6 yrs until recently in May 2016 when I moved my account from my old apartment to my new apartment. When I moved I had optimum come and do my installation on the day I moved into my apartment. There was no lapse in service. 4 month later I am being billed $100 for a router that I do not have. When the tech came to do the installation he took all three boxes but supposedly not the router. The statement I recently received did not state $100 for equipment. I assuming it might have been a prorate of services. I had spoken to several people at optimum regarding my account since May including supervisors on other matter. At not one time did someone ask me if I still had unreturned equipment. It was only when I ask to speak to a supervisor I was advised that I was being billed for unreturned equipment.

I explained I gave everything to the tech who did the installation back in May. The representative a supervisor said I had to pay the $100 while they will do an investigation for the equipment and if it turns up then they will credit my account. I asked "why am I being held responsible for equipment when all of the other equipment was returned and not the router. Shouldn't that be on the responsibility of the optimum tech?" Her response was "well Ms. ** what usually happens is if we look for the equipment and we don't have it then its in the customer home." I offered them to come out to my home to check. I said to the rep "so you already found me guilty if you don't have it? How about its just lost. How about you do an investigation and then once it's done if not located then we move forward from then." She said "that's not how optimum works." We went on and on until I advised I would be filing this complaint.

At that point she said she would get the higher ups to call me back because I also said I would file a corporate complaint. So a gentleman called me at 10 pm on a Sunday night at first from a unknown number but left a voice message on stating his name was Ray. He left no rep ID number but he left a callback number. I called the number twice and got no answer. I called customer service again to see if they can connect me to him but I was told they were unable to and that he might have gone for the evening.

As of today 9/26 I have not received any calls from anyone at optimum. While I will pay my bill for my cable, internet and phone services. I do not feel I should prepay for missing equipment that I do not have prior to optimum conducting a full investigation. I am not sure what is going on with the company but I also had an issue since my move regarding false salesmanship regarding their electronic insurance. I was misled about a product. Once I was aware that I was misled I asked for my money back but yet I was still billed. I had to fight for a credit that I should not have been billed for as I stated I no longer wanted the service.

You'd think after this company got sued and settled they change their ways. No they have gotten to be bigger scumbags than ever. Optimum's new scam is to deliberately change your cable modems IP address every 2 days so that every financial site you have such as your credit card, bank, etc, keeps changing your password, asking you for your security questions. Optimum technical support gives every lame excuse into the reasons of why they change your IP address every 48 hours. It's not that they change your IP to the same town, one day your IP address is on town, and the next its 15 miles away then 2 days later it's back in the same town as the first and this happens ever single 48 hours. And it's not like we live in the sticks, we are in a medium populated area. They do this purposely so that they can get you to upgrade to a static IP address shell out another $20 and 3x more than what you're paying for internet.

Usually IP addresses change when you reboot your modem, that's the way they've always been. Now Optimum plays their BS games in rebooting your modem on you every 2 days so that you get calls from your financial firms you do business with, get locked out of your credit card and bank accounts online because they think they are getting hacked by someone. This is all Optimum's fault and when you call support, they try to lie to your face and give you BS excuses. Time for another law suit.

Like everyone else here, I too loathe Optimum & hate that I had no other choice as far as a provider. Their services cost a mint & the Internet especially I have nothing but problems connecting. After 10 mins of waiting to get a live person on the phone, I get a different story every time as to why I have so many problems connecting to the Internet: there's too much traffic, I need a new router, restart the new router, let's set up a 5G connection, get closer to the router, I need to buy a network booster. No. I'm not taking money out of my pocket to buy additional hardware, I shouldn't have to!

I noticed these connectivity issues coincided with the end of my 2-year contract -- so it even costs more now per month on top of it! The customer service is awful, these reps don't know the products, don't know what they're doing, they're glorified salespeople. And it's next to impossible to bypass the automated menu to get an actual person! I previously had FIOS & was so much happier with that service. I don't understand how these monopolies are allowed to exist & consumers aren't allowed their choice of provider. If a dish were allowed in my complex I'd go with DirecTV instead. Horrible!

I have noticed on many occasions that I don't get service after 9 pm. This is happening more than 4 times a week. For $172 a month they should not be withholding services. On the website it states they are doing maintenance. I'm sure this is just some lie they maintain while they charge you for something you're not getting. They will prorate your bill if you begin the service after the bill cycle but they don't prorate when you're not receiving the service. Only in America is it ok to pay for something and not get it!

I went to the optimum store in Norwalk, Ct to exchange my broken remote for a new one. I have a service dog and went in with her, she is a 14lb terrier that I was carrying her. The security guard was so rude and, "said you can't have your dog in here." I explained she is a service dog and I had already saw the customer service representative and exchanged my remote but the security guard was very rude and asked what I need a service dog for. The discrimination was not necessary. I was only in the store for 15 seconds.

I am extremely dissatisfied with Optimum. I made a deal with them for 79.99 a month. Last month my bill was 83.31. This month it is $115.32. I called. They act like I'm getting a bargain. I had Verizon. I was receiving at least 13 more channels including movie channels for only 15 dollars more a month. They gave me a DVR I don't want or use. I'm so angry right now. Do not deal with them. They are thieves. At least with Verizon if you call with an issue they will try to give you something to keep you as a customer. Do yourself a favor and use Verizon if you can. You also get better uninterrupted service.

I pay for upgraded internet access and yet the service is spotty and requires constant support. Every time I call for assistance, I get stuck in the automated service loop. Only direction is to reboot and get a signal resent. Finally worked through the machine to get a tech support agent "Byron" who just decides to blame the Wi-fi router even though the cable modem has the orange lights. Luckily he is as useless and painful as the automated support loop. Only willing to send info to an optimum email I don't have access to. This monopoly has to end.

I have been a customer of Optimum for over a decade and have paid them faithfully, well I recently had a hardship where I was not able to pay them for a month, I called them and told them of this and said I would pay something on my bill but they told me that they do not do payment plans. I went into their place of business and paid 150.00 towards my bill and they still sent me to collections which will damage my credit score even after I told them that I would pay the remainder of my bill. I have also filed a complaint with FCC letting them know that Optimum is in a contract with my housing complex and has monopolized this complex and the residents of my complex cannot choose another cable provider. Optimum robs its customers, and has no empathy for anyone. My next complaint will be going to Albany.

I live with my dad and I am responsible for paying our cable bill. The cable is in his name because living with him in temporary. Back in December, I decided I wanted to add HBO on demand and the other movie channels. I called and without an issue, easily upgraded the package and added about $30 to the monthly bill. They never asked for his authorization or anything of the sort. Today, September 2nd, I called to remove the upgrade because I can no longer afford to pay the extra cost.

This time, they denied my request and told me he needs to call in and add me as an authorized user. It's not an issue for him to call. However, I find it hilarious how no authorization is necessary to ADD money to my father's bill but it requires authorization to take away from the bill. It's okay to spend more money but not okay to spend less. Someone needs to retrain their employees. If it was an issue when I added the package, we would have fixed it then. No big deal. They clearly don't want you spending less money for their services. FIX YOUR POLICIES.

They charge 59.95 for service appointments. Next month it increases to 80. They even offer service plans, like it's a car or toaster oven I'm renting. One of my channels has been out for the past two days. I contact customer support and do the usual "what is the message", which now states a lie stating that "the technical teams are working to fix the issue"; and then reboot. Of course that doesn't do anything; it never does. So the representative says he needs to schedule an service appointment. Then comes back and says it'll cost me 59.95 for the service. I ask him/her if this is a joke.

I'm paying for Optimum's service which doesn't work and now they want to charge me to fix it. He/she says it's a standard charge, but there is a service plan of 4.99 per month. Does this make any sense to anyone? It defies all logic! It's like purchasing an airline ticket, and if there's a problem with the plane, every passenger needs to pay a service fee to fix it so we can get off the ground.

Optimum keep increase the wireless internet connection rates, saying some story on promotion offer got expired. When spoke to customer service there is no proper response and gives diplomatic replies. I am sure they are running their business as monopoly in my area with no satisfaction for many with respect to service and rates.

I literally lose my Internet connection multiple times a day... They went in my house already 3 times to fix the problem. The last schedule was for today between 2-5 pm. My luck that I call them at 4 so they told me that I reschedule appointment for tomorrow... What? I record all me conversation, when I told them that I work and it has to be today not tomorrow, but of course they don't care, they just want you to pay bill even if you don't have Internet...

I began using Optimum cable Internet service when I moved several months ago to a building with nothing else except Verizon copper line service. I previously enjoyed FIOS. After several months of assuming my outgoing mail was being swallowed by recipient Spam filters, I discovered that my IP address is on three major blacklists and has been so for more than a year. In other words, Optimum assigned me an already-blacklisted IP number. They insist they have no way to request a white-listing of the address and that the only solution is to throw out a rather expensive router and install a new one, which they could well assign another blacklisted IP address. It should be a federal crime to assign someone an IP address without first verifying that it is clean. Telling the customer to keep buying routers until one of them is assigned a clean IP address is unconscionable.

So I pay is $85.23 for the G5 internet ONLY!!! No TV, no phone, nothing else... So I called so I can get cable TV right... So they said they can upgrade and give me TV for $170 extra on top of my $86. So that's $260 just to add TV. They said they had to give me the phone. If not it will cost more. So then he says "Ok. I can do it for you with a discount and it will be $102.53." I said "Ok now we talking triple pack." So he puts me on hold because he has to talk to his Manager to give me the discount... You know the whole Bull Crap scheme... They put you on hold, come back 3 minutes later saying "Ohh man it was hard but I begged my Manager to hook you up." All the time it's bull crap. They don't talk to NO ONE.

Then he says "I got you with tax. It's going to be about $110." So I say "My new bill every month not going to be $85 no more. It's $110 right???" He says "No. It's the $85 plus $110. More roughly like $215." I was like "WTF. You said $110." He said "No. It's $110 added..." SO PEOPLE LISTEN CAREFULLY CAUSE OPTIMUM WILL ROB YOUR BUTTS WITH YOUR PANTS UP TO YOUR NECK... and they say all the deals is only for new customers. HELLO. So they say you have to cancel your account for 30 days right then call back. Well stupid people. When customers cancel they don't wait 30 days. They just call another cable company and lose out on millions of customers with their bull crap scheme... Why not just satisfy the customer and give them what they want instead of lying and stealing and scheming us.

So now I rate OPTIMUM #1 BUT #1 BIGGEST CROOKS. I say to all leave Optimum and go with Verizon even though it sucks because you have to wait 5 minutes for the channels to change. It suppose to be faster but when you change the channel you can go take a bath, come back and it still loading... So next best thing everybody go buy a digital powered satellite and have all the free cable in the world. No payments. Shut all these legally criminal cable companies down...

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.
  • Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.
  • Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.
  • Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.
  • Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.
  • Best for Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers