ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

The Optimum brand, available in the New York tri-state area, provides a full in-home connectivity and entertainment experience through high-speed Internet, digital TV, and voice services, plus Optimum WiFi, the nation’s most robust WiFi network. Through its strategic partners, Optimum also offers a

variety of enhanced service and technical support options as well as smart home products to meet the connected home needs of today’s consumer.

View More View More

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Optimum Reviews

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Started Optimum 9/26/19. Was promised an Amazon gift card for $100.00 after having the service for 90 days. It's now 1/16/20 and I still have not received it. I Called the customer service representative who said it was sent out in the mail on 12/26/19 and that it takes 30-45 days to receive it - RIDICULOUS - Are they serious, that it takes 45 days for the mail to get delivered! I also have Optimums so-called paperless billing. The URL for their paperless FAQ is as follows, https://www.optimum.net/FAQ/#/answers/a_id/311 It states "...you will receive a monthly email notifying you that your online statement is available." It should state you won't get an email regarding online statement availability, so Optimum can squeeze you for late fees.

Since joining Optimum on 9/26/19, I've never received a single email from Optimum regarding any statement availability! On 1/16/20 the billing service said I have to change my email to have the billing statement sent to me through the email - REALLY - I don't think so! I also have AMC, but when I try to view missed episodes on my TV or mobile device it says I need to fork over an extra $4.99/month/series. I like Walking dead, Talking dead, NOS4A2, The terror. In total that would add an additional $20.+ a month on my bill. If Spectrum was available in my area, I would without hesitation drop Optimum and go back to Spectrum which I had in Brooklyn. Never had an issue with them since their inception. A suggestion to the shareholders of Optimum, unload Dexter Goei as CEO and get someone who knows how to run a quality Cable service. I would also suggest getting someone to review their billing practices and Website.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I signed up with Optimum 8/2019 and was promised a $100.00 gift card after keeping & paying for service for 90 days. It's now January 2020 and after 10 plus calls I still do not have it. They claim it was mailed on 12/5/19 but I still don't have it and they tell me give it time. Are they kidding. It's over a month in the mail??? I just called for the last time and cancelled the service after they refused to let me speak with a supervisor.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Optimum or Altice is selling the Wifi, TV and Phone service in a bundle with enticing promotional gift of $100 Amazon gift card. After a few months, the gift card never came. When I asked customer service, I was told that I was disqualified due to a late payment on the first bill. In truth, they never sent me the bill until after due date. The customer service agent apologized for the "frustrating" experience. What a scam! Do not trust them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

12 midnight - customer service here always sucks after 7pm. —-Part of my tv service has been cut off—- Can never speak to a customer. The automated system OBLIGATES you to reboot and also go thru different tech format without having a tech issue. After all this unnecessary technical nonsense, I speak to a tech person who repeats everything i already discussed with another rep. It ends up that I owe money - which I already know, but my letter give me 3 more days to pay? This whole bs last too long and is too much to write. My issue wasn’t resolved even after I read them the letter.

One rep said she would restart everything and to try it. I tried it and it worked. BUT AFTER HANGING UP, I change channels and go back to my on demand and another channel and the same ** problem again. This has to be intentional. I’m switching tomorrow to Verizon. My wife and I have been considering going full streaming- EVERYBODY hear me- that’s the way to go. I was a previous Spectrum employee 7 months ago but Spectrum is not in this nhood. They can suck sometimes too.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Spent over 6 hours being shuffled back and forth by Manny and now Christina at the Main Office. They fully understand that I am angry that brand new customers are paying 1/2 what they charge me, a customer for over 20 years. They "say" they can't do anything. That is just bull. Of course you can. You ARE giving better prices just not to long time customers. I hope you all get unemployed real soon with people leaving in droves and using streaming without you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

At first, everything was fine, however, after just 2 hours it became apparent that if a device disconnected from the wifi and attempted to reconnect it would be unable to do so. I now have no wifi. Yay!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I had Spectrum before, used my own modem and router for just internet service and I never had an issue. I moved to Brooklyn, NY into a building where Optimum is the only internet provider, well I did not have any other choices than going with them for internet service for the same amount of money and speed I had with Spectrum.

Let me tell you guys: They want their customers to exclusively use their equipment (rent their modem...), thus they will sabotage your internet service every now and then and blame your own equipment for their failure. Every time I call their customer service, they will tell me that they cannot troubleshoot an equipment that is not there, I have to rent the Optimun modem and if I insist that my modem does not have a problem, they will try to convince me to have a technician come to my place to check the issue but it will be at my own pocket $200.00 for the visit. I directly connected my laptop to my modem using the Ethernet and still not internet.

I told their rep that I never had these types of issues when I was with Spectrum, it is only with them every now and them. After I say that, the rep will do something on their end and my internet will magically start to work again. My boyfriend switch his internet from Verizon Fios to Optimum just to get the Amazon gift card. Now he regrets it as his internet is slow and very spotty for streaming. I wish I have the choice to switch to Spectrum or Verizon because OPTIMUM is not good at all.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Call center seems to have gone to India. It was never good here. Many communication problems, noisy line, dropped calls. Seems impossible to drop a service. Can't do it online. They allow you to watch TV on an iPad or similar device. But there is always buffering or another problem. Not nearly as good as Google TV. Had a tree fall on my cable line, so it's been on the ground. Optimum guy said they won't cut the line and put a new one up. The State Highway department says they won't pick up the tree as long as it's on a line. Been that way for six months. It all appears to me that Optimum doesn't care about good service. I'm ready to cut the cord.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

We are currently paying $130 for cable, internet and phone. With a newborn at home, we would like to cut down some expense. So I called to find out how much we would be paying if we cancel cable. The lady told me that we would be paying $190 for just internet and phone. How does this math work????

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I don’t even know where to start.. The rep came to my house spent about an hour and a half saying how great the service is now and how much it has changed. So we decided to sign up for since I would save a couple dollars from Fios. Good I stated to search for reviews That night and saw that it wasn’t great and all complaints about tv and customer service. The next morning I called to cancel the service (not even 11 hours later from talking to rep). I still haven’t back about my refund.. I called to get my refund and they told me I’m not entitled to a refund but I have a bill for following month services services that I do not have because I canceled in 12 hours and they never set up services in my house.

To date it’s been three weeks. I’m still trying to get a refund or phone call back and every time I call the customer service rep is at his barely speak English and does not understand what I am saying and telling me they cannot issue my refund because the ticket in their system is telling them if they can not. I have sent 12 email so far. 4 phones and several text messages to the rep that came to my house and still no response. The customer service are so unprofessional, rude and not educated on their own computer systems. So run far far away.

Not sure about Optimum?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right satellite or cable TV provider for you.

Optimum expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team