3.6/5 (1497 ratings)

About Optimum

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

Pros

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Bottom Line

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

Top Optimum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After signing up with the new Altice One product, I am very pleased with the upgrades from Optimum. I was wary at first with other reviews but gave it a chance since they offered ...

Verified

My experience was short and very disappointing. I have to move for personal reasons … Unfortunately, the agent never told me that he couldn't process my request that I had to call...

What is Optimum?

Optimum is an internet, cable and phone company that provides services in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. The company offers bundle packages that combine services for a better value. Through the Altice One app on Apple TV, Optimum customers can access all their television channels and streaming apps in one place.

Optimum internet plans

Optimum Online is available without an annual contract. Installation charges range between $99 and $149.99. The company offers protection plans for $7.99 per month that cover standard service visit fees.

• Pricing: Optimum internet ranges from $24.99 to $69.99 per month. Taxes, fees and other charges may apply.
  • Internet speed: Optimum internet speeds start around 200 Mbps. Gig service has download speeds up to 940 Mbps. Please note that Optimum does not guarantee internet speeds — traffic, servers and your computer’s hardware or software configuration can affect your internet speed.
  • Hotspots: Optimum has more than 2 million Wi-Fi hotspots. To use Optimum internet hotspots, you need to be within range of a hotspot and have a Wi-Fi-enabled device, a current subscription to Optimum Online and your ID and password.

Optimum cable TV packages

Through Altice One, Optimum’s home entertainment platform, customers can combine television and streaming apps into one package.

• Pricing: Optimum TV packages cost between $59.95 and $109.95 per month, depending on the service tier.
  • Channels: Optimum offers three tiers of cable television: Core service has 220 channels, Select service has 340 channels and Premier service has more than 420 channels, including premium options like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Sports packages and international channels are also available.
  • Equipment and features: The Bluetooth-enabled remote control lets you control your equipment with voice commands. You can also access on-demand programming and record up to 10 shows at once with multi-room DVR.

Optimum bundle packages

Optimum cable TV and internet bundle packages typically range from $64.99 to $135 per month and include 220 to more than 420 channels. Some of the most popular bundle packages are listed below.

Optimum bundle planCore TV + internetSelect TV + internetPremier TV + internet
Price*$64.99$89.99$99.99
Contract length24 months24 months24 months
Channels220340420
HD channelsNone110140
Internet speedUp to 200 MbpsUp to 300 MbpsUp to 200 Mbps
*Not including taxes, fees and charges.

Optimum FAQ

How much is the Optimum basic package?
Basic packages with Core TV and Optimum internet start at $64.99 per month plus taxes, fees and charges with a 24-month contract. Television packages start at $59.95 per month.
What modems are compatible with Optimum Online?
Select Arris, Netgear, Cisco and Motorola modems are compatible with Optimum Online. Please note that Optimum doesn’t allow you to use retail voice modems unless purchased from the Arris store.
Can you pay Optimum bills online?
Yes, you can pay Optimum bills online through the company’s account and billing portal.
How do I speak to an Optimum representative?
Optimum customers can connect to support staff online and through the Optimum Support app at any time of day. Local numbers for Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island, Bronx, Brooklyn and Westchester can be found on the company’s website.
Is Optimum customer service 24 hours?
Yes, Optimum customer service is available 24/7 through its virtual help desk.
Can I buy my own cable box for Optimum?
Yes, as long as the cable box is certified by Optimum. You can purchase a CableCARD-compatible device (for example, TiVo) to get Optimum digital cable services.
Are Spectrum and Optimum the same?
No, Spectrum and Optimum are not the same.
Who owns Optimum?
Optimum is owned and operated by Altice USA.

Is Optimum good?

Optimum offers internet and cable TV services for a good value without annual contracts. Optimum’s bundles might be a good fit for those who need internet speeds between 200 and 940 Mbps and are also looking for cable TV services.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I moved to an apartment in 2019 and I decided to have Optimum as cable TV because I was sure they were honest, fair and professional, to find out that they are not at all!!! When I first started, I called the customer service and the lady on the phone told me a price to find out a month later that I had to pay over 100 USD more for the first month, something that she deliberately avoided to tell me. After one year paying 134, they raised my monthly payment to 177 without even to inform me. I had to find out while checking my account.

I called the customer services and I asked to have only the basic channels, and so I should have paid 77 USD, but while my account still had the bill of 177, the balance on the phone was 77. I called again and again and this problem has not been fixed. Now I paid on the phone the actual full monthly payment, but now in the account, my balance is still over 90 USD to pay, which it will result in me also to have to pay for later due payment. The customer service suck and don't chose OPTIMUM, it is what I am going to do now, trying to find another cable TV.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Please look at the bill. It is certainly not what their advertisement tells us. To get the 300 Mbps internet I was forced to buy the Broadcast Basic, which has only a dozen news channels and I almost never watched. The internet speed is not 300 Mbps as well. Most of the time it is around 80 mbps. $141 per month for just internet? They are too greedy. I finally have some other high speed internet carriers in my area. Switched without any hesitation.

TV 01/08 - 02/07 Broadcast Basic $35.00. 01/08 - 02/07 1 Cable Box(es) (At $11.00 each with remote(s) included) $11.00. 01/08 - 02/07 Box Discount Incl. $5.00 Promotional Savings -$5.00. 01/08 - 02/07 TV Credit -$10.00. Total TV$31.00. Internet 01/08 - 02/07 Optimum Online (Incl. FREE unlimited access to Optimum WiFi) $89.99. 01/08 - 02/07 Optimum 300. Add-On $20.00. 01/08 - 02/07 1 Modem Rental Fee(s) (At $10.00 each) $10.00. 01/08 - 02/07 Network

Enhancement Fee $3.50. 01/08 - 02/07 Internet Credit -$21.00. Total Internet $102.49.

Phone 01/08 - 02/07 Optimum Voice (Includes over 20 features, certain taxes & fees) Incl. $29.95 Promotional Savings $5.00. Total Phone $5.00. Taxes & Fees 01/08 - 02/07 State and Local Sales Tax $1.05. Franchise Fee $0.70. State Reg Fee $0.04. FCC User Fee $0.09. 911 Surcharge $0.90. Federal Universal Service Fee $0.20. Total taxes & fees activity $2.98. Total amount due $141.47.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I've been repeatedly/inaccurately charged for the last 9 months. BLATANTLY LIED TO by no less than a dozen employees, that matter will be corrected...month in & month out! NOT, CORRECTED! Incompetent!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I have been with Optimum over 10 years. Relocated to Florida canceled my service and Company refuses to prorate my monthly payment. They are charging me the full month of $160 without using the service. Dealing with customers this way causes companies To lose their integrity. My suggestion to new customers is don't use Optimum. Stay away.

Optimum response

Hello Jaime. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I will send this over to our feedback team, if you would like to provide us with any additional details, please email us at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I ordered Internet service in January 2021. I moved in February 2021 and called them to cancel the service. In September of 2021, I noticed that a charge for $49.39 from Optimum. I went back to statements since February and found out that I was being billed every month. I called them and after 4 hours on the phone with 4 different people, this lady told me that she was sorry for the inconvenience, and that she was going to refund me the money within two weeks. I was waiting for the refund but it never came. I called again after two months and I was told that no money was going to refund because they have no record that I called to cancel the account in February. They are horrible at customer service and the company is not to be trusted. I would think twice before signing-up with them.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I had an issue and spend hours talking to them more unprofessional incompetent representatives who just got me upset and didn't even sold my issue. I wish I knew they were that horrible I would never have signed up and I will never use this company or anything related to them again!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Really the worst cable company. Don’t even bother calling them over the phone they’ll give you the runaround and transfer you to the wrong department and tell you the wrong info. Nobody knows anything. They’ll charge you for equipments that’s been returned and when you call for your refund… Good luck even getting your hardworking money back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

First off the lack of internet is awful. It constantly stops working and I never once got the speeds I paid for. I paid for a gig and never saw speeds over 200 the entire time. Secondly they really don’t care about their customers. I canceled the service and apparently I owed the last month's bill which is ok. I don’t mind paying. I didn’t know I owed it until I got a call from a Collection company. No calls from Optimum whatsoever. Just send me to collections while I’m in the middle of buying a house. How little do you care for people when you send a young couple into collections while they’re trying to buy a first house after not even telling them they owe money? The only reason to choose them is if you have no other choice in your area. I will never be using them again.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

Horrible customer service. Only 1 person to help around 300+ people to return or pick up or buy. This company should be shut down. It’s a disgrace that they operate. You have to drive to the facility and then wait more than 1 hour to just be seen. Someone should regulate how they do business!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

One of the worst experiences. I signed Up for internet access in mid Nov 2021 and have experienced at least 10-15 drops in service per day. Multiple techs have visited my apt to say that my in home setup is working but that there is an issue with the external wiring outside of my apartment building. They were supposed to schedule a visit from an external tech to look at the external wiring but that has not happened. I called support and now have another tech coming to visit my apt to check my internal setup and then will need to schedule an external tech. This is completely ridiculous and I would completely stay away from Altice. They literally give you the run around. I plan to leave the service and go to another provider asap. All who are having issues should do the same because they are just going to continue to bill you monthly and not resolve any issues.

Optimum Company Information