1.35/5
Based on 148 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Optimum IO Cable

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

367 Optimum IO Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Optimum is an unreliable company. I have been without service for 2 days so far and they tell me they can't come until Wednesday. They finally said they will come tomorrow. This makes 3 days with no phone, TV or internet. I called many times yesterday and they said it was inside the home. I then called my electrician. He checked everything only to find out the cable is hanging from the connection in the back. Optimum wouldn't send anyone out to fix the problem when I first called and now knowing their wire is hanging they can't send anyone out for 2 days. They don't care about their customers.

I called numerous times yesterday and was told they did a test and everything is working. It has to be inside. I was also told they would only come out if many people were affected. I guess one household doesn't matter to them. I don't know what kind of test they did if no signal is coming into the house. This company is unreliable and they don't care about their customers.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

So basically I called Optimum to disconnect my services. They told me that they will price match with Verizon and I asked them I have to think about it and I asked them I have a billing cycle coming on 16 Feb. They said it's fine I can call her back. I would not have to pay the full month penalty. I trusted them and said ok. Then I call this morning and said I want to discontinue they first explained me, I should remain here and all and then I said I no longer want their services. They said ok and now I still have to pay for this billing cycle even though I haven't used it for a single day this month. Very dishonest company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I am so distressed with Optimum I will give 0 stars if I could. They are charging me for the full price of a modem and a monthly service for it that they never provided me with. I wanted to cancel my services immediately when I had to speak with Jessica from Corporate, a very rude assistant that incredibly works for Optimum. She insisted that I must return the modem to Optimum or she is going to charge me an additional $80 for the modem that optimum never gave me. I don't understand why I have to give back something that is mine to them and I don't understand why I have to pay a monthly fee for my own modem. Jessica kept on saying that the modem belong to Optimum even when I purchased it from a third party company.

She insisted for me to bring back the modem to Optimum. I told her I must return it to the company that sold it to me so I could have my money back. She insisted that she will charge me for the modem no matter what. Now I am out $90 for purchasing the modem plus $20 for monthly charges to Optimum plus $80 that Jessica insists I must pay for a modem that does not belong to Optimum. Now I cannot return the modem to the company that sold it to me and now I owe Optimum for something they never provided me with. This is outrageous, they are stealing from me and I don't have a way out or a solution to it.

Jessica should be fired for her rudeness and for not escalating this to her superiors. She emphasize that no one else will look into my problem, I told her to be careful how she speaks to me and I even recorded her. She said that she is the only one that is taking care of my issue and after her no one else could help me. I could not believe what was happening to me. Are we in a third world country?? If any higher executive from Optimum reads this I hope they look into the way Jessica treats clients. If anyone is having this same problem we must get together to complain and follow a lawsuit against this injustice. I bet I am not the only one having this issue. Imagine how many people are being scammed by Optimum.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I've had Optimum for the past 4 years. I called to cancel our account because we are moving to an area not serviced by Optimum. I was surprised to learn that I will be charged for a month of service even after disconnecting because we are moving a couple of days into the start of a new billing cycle. That's about $240 of cost, and I can think of no other company that bills for services not delivered. Then, I was told to return the equipment and the nearest location was 3 hours drive (literally) from my house. Seriously? I told the rep that he must be mistaken, and he said I was free to mail the equipment back. Then, another rep calls me to set up service in our new location without checking to see if Optimum offers service in the new location (they don't). Overall, the experience left me determined never to use Optimum again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We have new business internet services with Optimum. The service is exclusively Optimum... Their line and equipment. In the first 2 months of services we have experienced intermittent issues, which we have reported. After the third service call to our site, the technician swapped out the equipment. Since the swap-out, service has been consistent. However, we were charged for the service call! I spoke with their support personnel and was told we were charged due to the fact we did not troubleshoot their poor service on the phone! When I ask the support person to review the ticket and observe the issue was persist and their issue, I was told we would still need to pay a service charge. Poor service and no customer relations...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

The worst service ever. Time Warner Cable is so much better. Optimum services is very pricey they charge me for the same movie I rented and lied and say they never did. When I got my bill it was clear as day. If you can go with a different service provider please do. Don't break the bank for ** customer service and plan service. I gave only one star and even that's being generous.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I recently took over bill payments in my household and discovered with the help of a billing representative that Optimum has been fraudulently charging my account for 4 cable boxes and 4 remotes as of December 2013. I have only 2 of each. It is Optimum's policy to credit no more than 30 days. The total overcharges incurred exceed 1,000. Optimum saw it fit to credit these fees as far back as August 2017 (120 days). As per the sales rep, it was out of generosity and caring for its customers that the supervisor saw fit to risk his/her position with the company and credit that far back- which is unheard of.

However, it seems that fraudulently charging their customers for equipment that they do not and have never had is not unheard of. When asked if they would be willing to adjust the rate of my current service, since they were unable to credit my account, I was told that there are no promotions that are available to me and that new customers are being charged more for internet service than my grandfathered fee, so I should consider myself lucky. Thank you Optimum for my good fortune and for taking over 1000 of my hard earned dollars in return for nothing.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I had an installation scheduled for about 2 and a half weeks ago. The technician said there was "leakage" in the signal and thus the cable would need to be repaired. It should take 2-3 days he said. Since then I contact the company every single day to find out what is going on. Every time the same answer: "Matter has been passed on to the engineering dept, what is the best number to call you, we will call you back within 24 hours". And of course I never get any calls. No explanation. No idea how long this will take. It's a total joke. They can get away with it because it's a monopoly in the area. Regulators should be on it, the company certainly doesn't care.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

They got rid of Starz, a premium channel I pay $9 per month for. However, after being told we'd get a refund Optimum then decides that replacing Starz with crappy movie channels is worth the same. So no refund. How can that be legal? It's a disgrace. I cut several premium packages to reduce the cost and now my internet will intermittently reset. So it looks like Optimum will also engage in revenge tactics. I'm about ready to get rid of this terrible company.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Three strikes and you're out. 1. Monopoly, you have no choices. Where I live this is the ONLY TV you can get. It suck! Premium channels cancel without notice but you get billed, internet has to be reset by them once a month and it's slow, movies freeze up or are "unavailable". Service goes out often. 2. Moving the service was a nightmare. A month before a scheduled move I went through their "easy moving" online site. A month after move in and after they cancelled an appointment we still did not have service. We were told that "NEW" equipment would be installed. Never happened. We still have the tired old equipment.

3. This is a positive. I am moving again and the area DOES NOT have Optimum. I am finally free. But, Optimum still needed to prove that they are the worst. It took an email, web request, and three phone calls to cancel service. The last phone call I finally spoke to not one but three live people for over 45 min. I must have been so wonderful that they wanted to share me. The third person grilled me, "What's your name? Account? Phone number? SS#? Address? Landlord's name? Landlord's number? Why are you cancelling? Is anybody else left behind that can start service? Why are you moving? Can we move your service?..." It was never-ending. The final comment was, "You need to return the "NEW" equipment." I said "you did not give us new equipment". Best day ever... I am free of Optimum.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Avoid if you can. They have the worst customer service. I was hung up on several times. I also do not appreciate the game they play with their pricing. Typical cable company but worse customer service.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have been an Optimum customer when they were only a cable company called TKR cable. I've continued to be a loyal customer when other ISPs came into my area. Optimum suspended my service for 2 past due bills which I had no problem with but they tried to send an additional bill after they already cut my services and collected their equipment. The worker who came to get the equipment was very rude even after realizing the mistake. I called Optimum about my bill and they tried to say that the bill was already sent. I owed the past due bills on Jan 15. That's when they cut my services. How can I be charged for a third month when I had no service after 2 months? I am very angry and I refuse to pay for a third month when I had no services. I should only pay for the 2 past due months with late fees minus the cost of the equipment!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

They were suppose to come and install an internet Saturday 11-2. No one called. They came at 4 and the guy could not find the place to install internet and left. They came again on Sunday and installed. Then now I called again (two days after) while I have no internet and was told I got disconnected. I waiting and am actually writing this review right now being on hold since 6 PM (9:15 PM). Ask for a manager they bring you to another department. Feels like I am a peasant in this internet kingdom which they ask me now to bring back the box because apparently no interment is possible at any apartment (?!). If you want to feel like you work in a company - I am With them already 12 hours New York time. It’s a lot! No one to talk to and then ask you to go to post office - get them there so bad and no manager!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have been a loyal customer for over 10 yrs. My cable bill is 240 dollars a month for phone and Internet. I don't think it is fair that they can switch up packages and are downgrading premium channels such as Starz for old movie channels nobody wants. I think we should get a refund on Starz and they can keep the movie channel off... How can you put non H.D. channels and charge premium prices. They never said anything. Just dropped Starz off the network. I think they should give us Cinemax instead of the garbage channels that nobody wants. Bring back Starz. Every other cable network worked it out for the money Optimum charges. I find it hard to believe they couldn't negotiate

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I recently cancelled my Optimum tv and internet service, and returned the modem and router equipment and got receipts for the returned equipment. Yet Optimum keeps claiming I never returned the equipment and keeps sending me bills for $80.00.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I have been a customer of Optimum (Cablevision) for well over 30 years... My bill continues to increase substantially every year... I've recently called the retention department and they told me to go ahead and cancel. They will not work with you at all. I guess it's time to switch to Fios.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

First they connected me but put in the wrong address. Then when I call Optimum customer service says they are unable to fix the address in the system and they have to send a tech out. Then they charge me 110 for service I already had. I call customer service. They said they'll credit it on my account. It's been a month already. They basically stole $110 dollars from me. I don't recommend Optimum to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I have been a loyal customer for many years, and I feel Optimum should offer special pricing deals for loyal customers and those on fixed income. After Starz was no longer part of the Optimum package, I felt Optimum had to find something (useless) to put in its place. My Starz channels (311-358) are now filled with messages from Optimum announcing losing Starz as part of their package.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Called Optimum to discuss my bill, customer service was extremely rude. I was told and I quote, "Mam you were not paying for Starz, so there's nothing to complain about." When I asked if they were going to give me additional channels to make up for the lost of Starz, I was told there was nothing they can do for me right now. I was also told I was being transferred over to someone who can help me further and I have been on hold for 20 minutes. Extremely disgusted with the poor service from this cable company!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Optimum has breached their contract agreements. I am retired and unfortunately disabled at 67. When I moved three years ago after having Optimum Cablevision for more than 30 years, I would receive a letter every year that my triple play silver would be going up. They would state "only 15.00 more a month- for the entire year" that was a lie. This year of 2017 I received 3 increases and when I would call to ask, I would get some kid from Wisconsin who knew nothing, would not take my complaint and was about as useful as a rock in my shoe. I even asked about their well advertised senior citizen discount plan and was refused!

Now on new year's both Starz and Encore were removed with no forewarning, I find that my high cost silver multiple movie channels are gone, along with chiller t.v, a standard channel and favorite to older people like me who missed the good t.v. of the 1990's and 2000's because we had to work 16/7 and they replaced the many other removed channels with h.s. local girls volleyball or someone selling something. Let's not forget the electronic preachers either. All because Optimum sold out to a foreign company that won't negotiate with Starz group because of the ability to greedily cheat the American people.

For the record, I started out in 2014 paying approx 132.00 now it's at 190.00 plus and is going up again in January! They act like 15-20 more every month is reasonable. Maybe for them and their sky high salaries and lets not forget the stock options that's in the millions - for doing nothing. We pay an F.C.C. fee when are they going to regulate and do their jobs. I remind all of you out there that they did the same thing once in Boston. Revolution is sometimes the only answer to slavery. And we are talking about unconstitutional monopoly, no matter the legal loopholes and special interest groups. President Trump is right. American built companies should stay in American hands.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have been having problem with one of TV connection so I called Optimum to resolve the issues. They went and found out that the cable was not connected which was not my fault so now they are charging for them to go up on the pole outside which they claim I went got a ladder and disconnected.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have already complained repeatedly to Optimum/Altice, and they have offered me a refund of $10, based on several years now in which I've spent a combined thousands of dollars and never until last week received the service level for which I was paying. Optimum/Altice has admitted to me that the source of the problem was never in my apartment, that the connection was faulty since the account first opened, and that they are considering changing the way their technicians handle complaints based on the service disaster I've experienced.

My problem was a terminally slow internet connection and frequent gaps in service. Altice/Optimum is the only company I've ever dealt with that routinely refused to admit that outages existed or were their responsibility. Their current process forces the client during each and every call to test equipment that is perfectly functional over and over again, and to check wires that are properly connected over and over again, never admitting or addressing the real issue.

In all my dozens of phone calls with their technicians and customer service staff, they always refused to send someone to examine the problem outside my home. After their pointless 30-45 minute routine of plugging and unplugging, they said my only option was to skip a day of work and wait around in my home for a representative to come to my home and re-check all the perfectly functional connections I'd already checked repeatedly.

This has led to a few years of wasted time, disrupted entertainment and communications, lost work time, buying food and drink in cafes when I have no connection to work from home, increased cell data use charges because my home wifi is not connecting, etc. For this, they offer me $10! I've given them several times that amount every month, for years. I was a customer over 3 years ago. The same account is still active today. The problem was repaired on December 5, 2017. The order number from my Optimum profile says it is for my Cablevision account. Perhaps they are all the same company?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Because my wife and I are medically disabled we cannot check our various statements on a monthly basis. When I did look at an Optimum statement this month I saw that we had been charged for Showtime since June. It began as a 3-month introductory which we never know about now totalling $83.65. I called to ask for the charges to be removed. The rep said he could only credit 1-month. I assured him that Optimum will lose a customer--he didn't care.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I got Optimum service last year I think. the 10 service on internet. Was a hair slow so I got the 20 service. As of then I had nothing but problems. They sent someone out who told me I had a virus. Numerous virus scans proved it wrong. Then they told me they could see there was a problem with the router and sent me a new one. It got worse. It takes 12 minutes sometimes to load a page. I called there umpteen times and just get switched from department to department and have to tell the story over and over and over and no one helps.

THEN they tell me I need a 5G laptop even though Ive tried 2 different laptops with the service. Whoever heard of a 5G laptop? This has been going on for 9 months and tonight a looong Facebook messenger chat with a rep was ridiculous. He told me there was too much interference from other buildings. I said there are no buildings over 2 stories here. He was useless. $66 a month for $4 dollars of service. Insane and no one can give you a real answer. And yet my internet service is the worst. When I was trying to message the rep I had to reboot my laptop just to reply!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I had Optimum (Altice) install their equipment on Nov 19th. Within 2 weeks I began to have problems. They scheduled a 3 hour window for their technician. No technician, no phone call. I called 1 hour after the window had expired and they told me he would arrive between 3:08-4:08 - no show. I called at 4:38 and was told there were no technicians available till the next day (in the meantime I waited 5 hours). A new window was set up for the next day 2-5. No one showed or called to say they were running late. A tech showed up at 6:30. He replaced the mini box but could not get the remote to work properly. He became frustrated and a little testy and said he would talk to his supervisor to find out how to fix it. He left at 7 because his shift was over leaving me with a remote that wouldn't respond to voice commands. My son came home and figured out how to match it to the television model with info he obtained online.

Four days later I had more problems with the box he replaced. I rebooted the box and called the service line for help. The first person couldn't help me and I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor couldn't correct the problem either. They set up an open appointment for a tech to visit sometime today. The first time I dealt with the "phone help" I was on the phone for 90 minutes. The tech couldn't correct the problem and put me on hold numerous times so he could talk to his supervisor to find out what the next step would be. When I suggested he put the supervisor on I was told "they don't get on the phone".

This is a new system and one can understand there may be a few bugs to work out but the lack of training (I was told about 1/2 hour) speaks volumes. I regret ever changing providers at this point. Altice is a French company and doesn't seem capable to do business in America. The service dept including technicians, supervisors and dispatchers need to be managed at a much higher level. Needless to say I would not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Unfortunately, since Installation of Optimum Triple Play, we are not happy for services that we are getting. We cancelled the TV and cable services within one month of installation since the quality of the picture was so blurry compare to Dish and giving everybody in the home headaches. WIFI also giving us hard time since installation in regards to the speed and availability of internet. We have called Optimum repeatedly multiple time. But was not fixed till beginning of November. On September 09, we bought Modem online (we have receipt) to avoid recurring charges of the modem and returned the Optimum original modem to Optimum store, Centennial Ave, Piscataway, NJ.

1. I am still getting modem charges on my bill, even if I am using modem which I had purchased on Amazon.
2. I am getting Charges for international calling even if there is no international call record on my account (taken off since last bill after repeated request).

3. I am getting invoice for $ 80 for service to fix my WiFi, which they says is because of some problem outside my home. Until then my internet never worked when someone really needed to use it. Kids always complained they cannot finish their project on time because it doesn't work in evening. We were using the Optimum WiFi with our business account ID and pass to all the device when we really needed to use in our home.

I had called Optimum repeatedly for my concerns, you can check notes on my account, and call record with Optimum Customer service. I am tired of Optimum and charges I am getting from Optimum. I had already requested to cancel my services and account with Optimum immediately. I have Business account with four telephone lines and WiFi, I am gone Cancel That account also. We have suffered so much that I am looking for the site where I can leave dis-satisfaction review for Optimum services and also plan to go to consumer service to get credit for the nonsense charges.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I stopped service with Optimum on Oct. 14, 2017. I paid my bill at the end of previous month for $171.79 for service from 11/01 to 11/30. I brought back all equipment on same day. My credit is $9.05. This is so hard to believe. No service but must pay rest of month. This is bull. Be very scared to hire this company for any service. You will pay for what you don't use.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Called in to make a simple change on my telephone service (disconnecting one of our two phone lines). Automated service sends me to four different persons, each of whom asked for name, address and tel number and then referred me to yet another person who might be able to help me. Dreadful!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

On Nov 30th I reached home late from work, then I tried to call Optimum to disconnect my service, nobody picked the phone, because Optimum has phone customer support til 8 pm so, I tried to talk with someone on chat service from their portal. Customer support guy said they can not disconnect service, so I tried next day Dec 1 2017 early morning. The customer support guy was rude and said service will be disconnected on end of month only i.e. Dec 31st 2017. Today (Dec 2nd) I returned their equipment and called again, but in vain, they want me to pay whole month of December, even though I didn't use their service in Dec at all.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I canceled my account today and was advised that I am responsible to pay for the rest of the billing cycle. How is legal? If I don’t want their service anymore, I shouldn’t have to pay for it. This has happened to many people and we should not have to pay for any service after we terminate service.

Optimum IO Cable expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Optimum IO Cable Company Information

www.optimum.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use