1.44/5
Based on 193 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

451 Optimum IO Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

On May 1st I had moved to our new apartment and decided to stay with Optimum, they forced me to get Altice One since there was a "promotion" which really was not!!! I had 2 TV's in previous apartment and had the Value package for the same exact price, but now I only have 1 TV and less channels (core package)! No one explained this to me and if I wanted to bump to the value package I would have to pay $10 more which is ridiculous. Anyway, they installed Altice One on May 1st and later that night, most of the channels said there was an error try again later, therefore I could not watch the channels! I called Optimum and the technician tried to do a remote session to troubleshoot, but no luck!!!

They said they would send someone Saturday May 5th to fix the issue. I told them I had to be at work at 3 and they said they will put me on the priority list from 8:00 am-2:00 pm. It was 2:50 pm when I got a call saying that Optimum was at my house waiting, I told them that I was not home because I had to be at work at 3:00 pm and no one showed up at the time I was told. They told me there usually is a $80 fee for not cancelling which I told them I was not going to pay because I was told someone would arrive before 2:00 pm and they did not. Of course I had to make another appointment and finally May 10th, 10 DAYS LATER I GOT MY CHANNELS WORKING. I called to say that I want a credit for the 10 days that the channels were down and it is unfair that I am paying the whole month for service which I really did not get, the agents tells me that her supervisor will credit me and I will get a call back which I never did.

May 22nd, I called back to speak to someone about the credit, which they tell me I have a credit of $19.03 cents that will be deducted from next months bill, and I said great, that I wanted that written in a statement because I did not see it in my current bill. The agents then tells me that only his supervisor can do that and that I will get a call back which again I did not receive.

A month late it is now June 19th and I have to pay the bill in 3 days, I went online to look at bill and there is no credit of $19.03 to be found. I am being charged for full months service which I did not receive. I proceeded to call Optimum AGAIN, and the agent tells me there is no existing credit. I told her I need to speak with a manager because I have been calling to get a credit for 10 DAYS WHICH I DID NOT HAVE THE CHANNELS WORKING! She takes all the information again (this is my 3rd time explaining the situation).

She puts me on hold and tells me that she cannot get a hold of her supervisor, and that I will get a call back in 24 hours. I told her that I have heard this 3 times and I have not received a call back from no one! She tells me the only thing she can do is to pass this message along to her direct supervisor. I have to pay my bill in 3 days and I have not been able to talk to someone in regards to the credit I should have in my account! I HAVE HAD IT WITH OPTIMUM, THE ONLY reason I stayed with Optimum is because they are the only ones who offer internet in my area. Really hard to get in touch with a supervisor and the customer agents don't know anything!

Original review: June 19, 2018

Don't bother with Altice One. I was forced into Optimum when I moved. I was a Time Warner customer for years, with no issues. I would get Verizon if it was a choice. Ever since I signed up with Optimum it has been nothing but issues, and when you need support, they take DAYS to get to you. Customer service could be the dumbest, most untrained people on the planet. How does this company stay in business? This is the 3rd time they reset my account password (which then causes huge problems in my family) without asking me and STILL not fixing my problem.

They sell you the "new technology" Altice One, that fails repeatedly, the boxes don't work properly and, oh yeah, if you need another one you can't just go pick one up. You have to pay them 80$ for a "service call" to install one. As soon as something else becomes available I'm ditching Optimum. Complaints fall on deaf ears, no one gives a damn. Because they have a monopoly in my area and they know it doesn't matter. IF you are a customer and get Carlos in a chat, hang up and try again. Randy, his "supervisor" won't be much more help, but whoever you get can't be much worse.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I call BS on Optimum’s (Monmouth County, NJ) new policy on disconnecting on next billing cycle. I called for a disconnect on June 18, but being told I still have to pay until the next billing cycle of July 14. The next time, according to their customer service agent, Cameron, says the disconnect can happen. Meanwhile, I do not have a contract. Paying for four weeks of unused service is a penalty. What makes me very angry. Thinking I had a contract, I called their customer service a few weeks prior about penalties for canceling. They said, no. I can cancel at anytime. But they never mentioned the billing cycle disconnect policy. That’s a bait and switch.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I had an internet outage and tried to call Optimum on a Thursday evening. Talked to a stubborn machine for about 20 minutes which made me go through the reset-the browser routine and did not even give me the option to talk to a human being until the next morning. I tried online chat (using my cellphone as a hotspot as the internet was down) and it took at least 30 minutes, probably longer, to get somebody online, who did some remote magic. This helped temporarily, but 36 hours later, the internet slowed to a crawl again.

This time, I got somebody on the chat faster, and while he appeared to be helpful, he could not solve the problem and the first appointment with a technician is not until in three days (it would have been one day earlier, if I had accepted to sit at home for 12 hours and wait for somebody to show up). Totally unacceptable. If you have the chance, walk away from Optimum.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I canceled my phone and cable service mid-April 2018. I received partial credit for the timing of the cancelation. A one time charge appeared on my June billing statement. I spent over 3 hours (no exaggeration) on the phone and earlier, 2 hours, using online chat service to resolve a miscellaneous charge on my June account. Aside from the disconnects with the Online Chats and the calls to my office from billing without leaving telephone numbers I managed several telephone calls. Background, my June bill had a one time charge, it was called a "Refund" but appeared as a charge. I got 6 different explanations from 6 different reps on the phone. Four billing reps said I was owed a refund - the last one, Yuri, said, "Yes, we refunded you in April but now you owe us that refund in June."

I am not sure he understands accounting principles. A refund is a refund and not an amount owed. He did not change his script - "we gave you a refund and now you owe us that refund." The big issue which impacts all Optimum clients: Why is it that six people all provided different explanations? Why were two going to correct my bill and others would not? Why did several promise me a refund? Why doesn't Optimum's monthly bill properly display charges? Why can't they all have the same answer if there is only one explanation? Is this really because I canceled 2 months ago? Is it a random win or lose scenario? Is this a way to run a business?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum IO Cable?

Original review: June 12, 2018

Called to cancel my service 5 days into my billing cycle. I've moved into a new apartment where Optimum/Altice isn't available. They're now telling me I have to pay for 25 days where I'm not using their services at all before they can cancel my account. Apparently when Altice took over Optimum, they quietly changed their policy to charge you for the full month even if you cancel one day into your billing cycle. Far as I've experienced or heard, they're the only ones who pull this. The people in customer service don't seem to give a darn either. You can guarantee that I'll never go back to Optimum/Altice or recommend it to anyone else.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Cable Vision is a terrible company. Was forced to give a star, didn't want to give any! They cancel all of your service due to signal leakage??? What does that mean?? I work from home. They leave a note on your door with an appointment that they arrange alone. Just assume you will be there. I lost tons of work time due to this inconvenience. For $220.00 a month? No thanks. I NEED to cancel service A. S.A.P.

Original review: June 11, 2018

For the second time cable wires have been pulled down from the pole and have caused damages to my property. These wires should be raised here to avoid damages. Also Optimum installer should be neat and wire the outside of homes properly. Not tie cables to other cables on property. I have just replaced the siding due to these damages and your work is super sloppy!

Original review: June 10, 2018

If I could give Optimum zero stars I would. My husband decided to switch to Optimum and the new Altice One at the beginning of May. We thought it would be nice to have a new system, faster internet, etc. So we switched. It worked well for a week and then a storm knocked out power for an hour and when power restored the Altice One system never did. To make a long story short hours were spent on the phone trying to troubleshoot. It was never resolved. We had a service appointment set up and the technician had it working and an hour after he left everything crashed. Spent hours and hours on the phone and was told that nothing could be resolved and we need all new equipment. So another service appointment was set up and they stood us up. Never showed! Then they stood us up for the next two appointments! After this we had it.

We called and cancelled our service. So we had Optimum for a little less than 4 weeks and for 3 of the 4 weeks we had no service at all! We plugged in our old cable equipment from our previous provider and within a half hour everything works! Here's the real kicker, Optimum never cancelled our service, they added in extra things that they were not authorized to add and our bill was almost $300! Optimum is one headache after another. The only thing more disgraceful than their cable service is their customer service. The tech even admitted that Altice One doesn't work. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT switch!!! Even if you're paying more it's not worth the headache and the heartache. Whatever they say can't be honored because they overpromise and underdeliver at every chance.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Our cable boxes from Optimum keep shutting off and then reboot. I called service. They told me the box was bad and I had to exchange it. I installed the new box. It worked for a while then it started to do the same thing. Then my other box started the same thing, they told me to exchange it also. So now I have two (new) boxes with the same issue.

I then called for service again this time they gave me an appointment two days later with believe it or not a ** hour window. Who does that? Well I waited all day, now ** hours later I called and guess what they were not coming and not even a phone call. So after talking to some useless people in customer service, namely Eleanor, and her so called supervisor Alexander, I now have an appointment in two more days. They made this appointment for me, I thought the least they could do was come on the next day but no I called to check on the status and found out that they gave me another ** hour window for Tuesday.

What a lousy run company with the worst customer service. What I want is to get this issue resolved and I want a credit for the lost service and my time for waiting and returning equipment that was working. Any company that treats its long standing customers that pay their bills always on time like this needs to rethink its priorities and I think it's time to call Verizon.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Optimum continues to nickel and dime their customers, while providing internet speeds that are spotty and inconsistent on a regular basis. Why can't Optimum announce price increases to their clients in advance, most companies do? If Optimum wasn't the only internet provider in our area, I would switch in a heartbeat.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The internet service is very high priced, but the speed is never the same as the advertised one. I called recently because the signal was very choppy on a particular day. The support restarted the modem and everything seemed fine. However, they sent a Service Technician to check things out. The service technician said he fixed something and billed me $80. I'm not sure how it helped me anyway. The internet was working already. They also tried to sell me the monthly service technician subscription, which I think was the sole purpose of this Technician visiting. I called the customer service but it did not get resolved. I have been a customer for many years and they have no regard for their customers it looks like. Unfortunately there is a monopoly and these cable companies are taking the customers for ride.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We switched over to Altice One as soon as it became available in our area and we've had nothing but problems with the mini boxes, i.e. all the boxes other than the main box/modem-in-one. We continually experience severe pixelation on all 3 TVs which use the minis and the pixelation makes it impossible to watch anything on any station. This lasts for days and usually starts whenever it's raining. Tech support offers the same troubleshooting steps which do nothing. Every tech appointment is at least 3 days away and by then, the picture quality has returned to normal so the tech guys tell us nothing is wrong.

Also, the voice command search has stopped working on the minis and the reliability of the guide is horrible - it sometimes doesn't load at all. This is the worst service provider I've ever had. I had Comcast when I lived in FL and they had the same technology and I never had any issues like this ever. Altice/Cablevision should be paying us. Long Island is one the most heavily populated areas in the US. Why can't we get a reliable cable provider??

Original review: June 5, 2018

Altice One is awful. We switched from Fios because Fios lost Bloomberg. After watching all the commercials on TV I thought it would be ok to switch to Optimum. That was a big mistake. The price they quoted us in an email was not honored. They told us after it was just an estimate. You cannot hardwire any computers so you have to go out and buy an adapter for each computer that is not wifi. Even with doing that the computer is very slow. The main box hums all day and night keeping us away. The shows we are watching freeze all the time. We are constantly having to reboot the boxes. The DVR does not tape some shows to the end. The favorite channel switch keeps switching back to all channels. Of less importance the satellite boxes do not have clocks and all the boxes do not show the station you are watching.

An Optimum representative told us a supervisor would call us and 3 days later we still have not heard from anyone. We were supposed to have a service call and nobody showed up. After waiting on the phone to speak with someone for a half hour I was told there was nothing that could be done and I would have to wait another 3 days for a service call. A supervisor was supposed to call back. Guess what. Nobody called. Need I go on. We tried to go back to Fios but they would not give us back our old rate so unless we now want to pay $50 extra a month. We are stuck.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I've been without cable, internet and phone for 3 days now. Called Optimum on Friday night the day the services went off (service had been off all day). Was told by customer service that there is no outage in the area and my case was isolated. Was further told that a tech couldn't come until Sunday. It's Sunday and tech came 3:30pm. He went outside to check the line and I went out behind him. To my surprise, my neighbors to the left and right of me were outside too. That is when I discovered that they had the same problem for 3 days. They were also waiting for a tech to come. The problem existed on the entire block.

Of course the tech is not equipped to deal with this problem so he calls for reinforcement. 2 other trucks came with 3 additional guys. They confirmed the problem was neighborhood outage; checked something on my cable line outside, then proclaimed that there is nothing they are equipped to do and have to call it in. I asked when do they think the problem could be solved? They don't know because it is late so maybe tomorrow. I called optimum and got the customer service rep with the attitude. She immediately went on the defensive when I explained to her that I cannot do without cable, telephone and internet for so long. She condescendingly answered that the tech just left (in other words I'm not to ask her when does she think I would get some service back).

In today's modern technology era, am I to believe that Optimum couldn't see that it was a neighborhood outage and have the problem taken care of? Their service is not cheap. I am not begging for free service either. I pay close to $200 every month. Is it too much to ask for decency from them? I am over Optimum. I've been patient long enough. Every month or so I have to reboot their modem due to some part of their service not working. I will encourage everyone I know who has them to look into some other service that at least values their customers.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Optimum made promises to us when we signed up that were never met and they make all kinds of excuses each time you call. They have no intentions of fulfilling their promises and are rude to work with! The service is horrible and they are the worst customer service people I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Optimum Cablevision is the worst company with the worst customer service! This company is constantly raising their prices and they offer the worst customer service! You are better off with any other company for phone, internet or for watching television or movies. This company is a total rip off.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My fiancé and I contacted Optimum to provide internet service for our new apartment. We purchased an Optimum approved modem to avoid the Optimum modem rental fee. We gave this modem to the Optimum technician installing our equipment so that he could install our modem instead of a modem owned by Optimum. He finishes and offers no indication of any issues. When the first bill arrived, to our surprise there was a modem fee charged to us. After a long series of phone calls with Optimum customer service we learned Optimum installed their own modem and they do not know where the modem we own is. Now we are left paying the fee we tried to avoid and are out $100 for the modem they lost. We are very dissatisfied with Optimum’s customer service and installers. We will be switching to Verizon first chance we get.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I Began Service on Feb 28 2018. On March 20 ( less than 3 weeks later) I called to cancel the service. On March 26th I returned their equipment. So, in less than 28 days I cancelled AND returned their equipment. When I called to cancel however, the "rep" kept stating that the service will cancel on the next billing cycle (which was on April 7th. Two and half weeks later!). I told him I wanted it canceled today. He DID NOT cancel the service the day I called and I am still being billed - 2 months later - for services. Apparently they do not honor their 30 days cancellation policy.

A supervisor told me that notes state that I cancelled because of cost and that’s why billing continued. This is a lie entered by the initial rep who was supposed to cancel my account. It is an outright lie because Optimum service was less money than what I switched from. That's why I switched!! So why the hell would I cancel because of the cost? When I stated this to the supervisor and asked him where it states that in their service agreement, he acknowledged that it is not stated in the agreement. (This apparently is an unwritten internal rule.) Nice - right?

I was told me that customer must request wants money back (for poor service) in order to have service cancelled on day of call. Otherwise, billing continues to billing cycle. That of course, is not known to customers because they know every unhappy customer will do it. Surprise? I now have called 3 times 5/15, 5/18, 5/25. Each time I am told the situation is being "escalated" to the supervisor of the initial rep a supervisor. They freely provide their “rep ID” because they know you will never reach them when you call back.

On the last call, I was now told that it takes 30 days for the escalation. In the meantime, I have now received a letter from their collection Bureau. The date of transaction is April 9th 2 DAYS after the billing cycle and more than 2 weeks AFTER I called to cancel AND had already returned their equipment.! This is the WORST service company. Do yourself a favor and use another provider. It is worth paying more money to another provider for better service. This is the biggest MISTAKE I made.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Been with Optimum for a long time, over the weekend we lost cable, internet and phone. We called technical support to assist us, but was told that they would need to come out for a service call. The rep only seemed to care about the $80 service charge that we would be getting if it wasn't "their" problem. They gave us an "emergency appointment" for Monday from 10 am to 8 pm, we called several times throughout the day to confirm the appointment and was told by every rep that someone would be there.

At 8 pm when no one called we contacted them again, we were told that there was nothing that they could do but reach out to dispatch (via email) to see when the tech would be here and that we would receive a call back within 15 minutes. NOPE. No call at all, again we called to see what was going on only to wait on hold for 40 minutes to be told that dispatch decided at 9:02 pm that we were going to be reschedule (however we were never notified because it's Optimum "policy" to not call customers after 9 pm - interesting).

After speaking with a night supervisor we were told that they would try to get us in on Tuesday - nothing! No call back, just told that there is nothing that they can do and now we are being pushed back to Thursday. I don't think that we would be so upset if we 1- we didn't work from home, so we need to have phone and internet and 2 - we spend almost 300 per month with them to be told that there is nothing they can do. It appears that since the change they have been complete against customer service. Their reps are told to say "there is nothing more we can do". I think Optimum has one of the worst customer service I have ever come in contact with. I would never recommend them to anyone, and will definitely be telling family and friends of our horrible experience.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Since the Altice service started, this has been a NIGHTMARE for me. I had the NEW service installed on April 4. I have never had a full week of service then. Customer service has no clue what they are doing (they keep circling around the same "troubleshooting" every time you call) and they have NO RECORD of my FOUR service appointments in FOUR weeks, which I personally have work orders for. Trying to REMOVE SERVICE I DON'T EVEN GET is even worse. Their customer "retention" department basically tells you that you're on your own- pay your bill call back later to get any credits. They DO not remove service because this will make my bill HIGHER, even though I haven't been getting service I'm paying for.

This past week, I have called four times to get credits back- constantly going back and forth between Altice billing and Optimum billing- neither of which seem to communicate with each other and I have been told that I will get a response in 72 hours - that was five days ago. Terrible. My family has been Optimum customers for over 20 years. I had the service installed on my new house on April 4. This is by far the worst experience I have had with any sort of company. The technical support genuinely does not care. The billing department is even worse. I have been "transferred" over to dial tones, given information that was clearly wrong, and I have been told that my case had to be escalated because I wasn't telling the truth about how many service appointments I had - despite me having all of the service orders from Optimum. OUTRAGEOUS.

I just want some TV and Internet. Customer service seems to be more interested in "getting the caller off" by transferring out to a different department or scheduling yet ANOTHER service appointment or simply transferring you to hanging up- THEN you have to wait another HOUR before speaking to someone. All this and you have the nerve to charge $120 a month for it. Strongly considering switching. My problem STILL has not been resolved.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Very expensive service with outages and trying to get someone on the telephone to assist is a disaster. Wait time is too long and too many prompts. No other providers available in this area.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I was a customer of yours from 2/3/18 until about 3/7/18 when we cancelled service at that time because it never worked properly for one day during that time. We had 5 boxes installed at our home and there were always 2 boxes out at one time or another. During that month, I had at least 3 service phone calls, 2 for 1 hour or more. One of those was on Superbowl Sunday when the box in my den was not working at we were expecting 50 people over. Our frustration continued throughout the month where we became experts at trying to pair our remotes to the boxes but usually only lasted a short time. The service techs who came to our home as well as the initial installers were all outside contractors.

I believe this is where most of the problem lied. They were all very quick, offered me extra remotes and one even promised me he did everything and was very disappointed when I didn’t tip him. I believe he was the tech who charged me for fixing something that he did not. We wanted Optimum to work; my husband and I work long hours and enjoy our TV time. We didn’t have the time to deal with these ongoing issues and that is why we had to cancel service. I am so disappointed that I can't find anyone to speak to who will listen and understand we do not owe for that service call as nothing was fixed that day, and we should be credited partially for the limited service on our boxes. Our bill has now been sent to collections as I continue to fight this battle.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Optimum will not provide a printed channel guide, it is only available if you print it, or go to a certain channel to review it. Modem not available for sale, instead it must be rented, or bought elsewhere, cost for the service is too much, should be able to go a la carte.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Installer was new at the job. He insisted that I needed a router with my modem. I did not. Finally got him to consult a supervisor and then proceed. He chose my username without consulting me. Everything worked out in the end. This service was cheaper by far and thus worth the hassle.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We became dissatisfied with the service as the company had a feud with one of the movie suppliers - cutting off roughly half of our movie channels. Called to cancel - they argued about it for an hour - said they would do it. Hung up and no cut off - new bill in fact. Games games.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Expensive for the number of channels offered. But good customer service and contact if something goes down. They offered a good deal after damage from Sandy.

Original review: May 9, 2018

They have decent customer service but my bill has gone up by over $50.00 in the past 5 years. As much as I think they have a great selection of channels, most of the channels I don't need. Would rather have a plan where you can pick exactly the channels you want & it would be priced accordingly.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have been a customer of this cable company for about 40 years through many different company names. My husband had a landline business phone with Verizon and he wanted to switch the number to our home cable account. He was told by Optimum customer service that it would be a simple switch, no equipment would be necessary and no technician would need to come to our home. It would be a simple switch from Verizon to Optimum. The phone was removed from Verizon and “switched” to Optimum without a phone call to our home to confirm or find out if it was working.

After several days we realized that the phone was not working. When we called Optimum after several days of no phone, we were advised that a technician would need to come to the house and we needed to wait a week for that. We lost 10 days of business because of the incompetence of Optimum and now they are charging us $80.00 for home wiring. After 3 calls to customer service for which we believe is in India because we cannot understand anyone we speak to, they refuse to credit us for $80 even though we were originally told a technician and wiring fee was not necessary and we lost thousands of dollars in business since we had no phone service for 10 days. What has happened to this company? It was never run so poorly before when it was Cablevision. We are very disappointed in Optimum or Altice or whatever this company is now called!!!

Original review: May 8, 2018

Service is not consistent and customer service is an experience, make sure you have at least 30 minutes to waste waiting on hold. Not worth the money it costs.

Optimum IO Cable expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1973 under the name Cablevision Systems Corporation, Optimum continues to serve millions of customers in the New York area. The company offers television, Internet and cable services.

• Business and residential service: Optimum has a full range of telephone, Internet and TV products for the home and office, and it is a good choice for residential or commercial customers.

• Better channel options: With more than 600 HD channels available, customers in the New York area can experience a variety of programming.

• Unlimited plans: Customers can get unlimited cell phone, text and data usage, and premium TV services in one package.

• Internet-based TV: Optimum offers a digital paid TV service.

• Free package: After signing up for broadband Internet service, the company offers a 50-channel package for free.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to customers,, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs