Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.89/5

Optimum

The Optimum brand, available in the New York tri-state area, provides a full in-home connectivity and entertainment experience through high-speed Internet, digital TV, and voice services, plus Optimum WiFi, the nation’s most robust WiFi network. Through its strategic partners, Optimum also offers a

variety of enhanced service and technical support options as well as smart home products to meet the connected home needs of today’s consumer.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Optimum Reviews

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Optimum has horrible consumer policies that just nickle and dime you to death. The new member deals are really nice but once you are a customer all of their tricks come out. My internet often goes down and when I call to complain, they never really fix the problem and just tell me that they are looking into it. After 8 calls, I finally got someone to come out and found that they gave me the wrong router to begin with for the service that I got. They also refuse to give me any service credit when service is out for long periods of time. They keep increasing my bill every year and when I call to cancel, they insist that I need to pay for a whole month even when I only need service for 4 days. Every other company pro-rates the bill for you but it is their corporate policy to not do it. Happy to not be a customer anymore as it has been a very painful relationship.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I placed an order. Have Optimum installed in my home to provide cable, phone and internet. I was given a window for the appointment between 8-11 am. At 10:35 am I received a call from Optimum saying my technician was still at another appointment but would be contacting me when he was on his way. At 11:21 am I received another call from Optimum saying my technician arrived at 10:24 but no one was home to let him in. When I called customer service to fix this issue, I was told the technician can't come back today and I would need to reschedule. I wasted my entire Saturday morning waiting for them and they lied and said he did come at 10:24 am. I received no phone call he was on his way nor did anyone ring my doorbell or knock on my door all morning!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

A longtime customer of Optimum, passed away, and due to this, when we told Optimum about it, Optimum shafted us with his bill! Optimum stated that they could not give any credit to the deceased balance, this painted a very clear picture of Optimum, and how greedy, and how low they could go! We told Optimum that they Fail to see that without Customers they would be Nothing, and Unfortunately Customers do pass away, and Unfortunately they can’t come back and Pay their Bills and Unfortunately the deceased biggest mistake was not that he passed away, as he could not helped that, but staying with Optimum for so long as a dedicated customer and paying For Their High Cost Services! Optimum should be Ashamed for their Horrible Customer Service!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Signing up the 1st year is how they get you. Then they raise the price without warning. They raised my price $20. And I was told the price would go down next month but when called to confirm days later they said the adjustments weren't made. My bill is like another car note. I will make it my mission to spread the news about their service.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Their internet service is the absolute worst. Most of the time I cannot stream video and I have to reset the modem. When I email or call their CS is useless. I am looking into NYC mesh or Fios as I am literally throwing my money away at this point. This is a perfect example of why monopolies need to be outlawed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Optimum promises everything. Signing up is sooo easy. Getting out is endless torture. Installation leaves big holes in home's outside wall through room's wall. Modem remains after cancellation. Year later get surprise collection notice demanding hundreds of dollars if modem not returned immediately. Finding optimum's phone # to return it is impossible.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I have called repeatedly regarding the level of service that I have received from your company these last few months and it would be a overly generous statement to qualify the response that I have received as anything resembling "okay". I complained about channels missing from the basic cable offerings and got nothing but excuses numerous times until someone finally suggested that the boxes I have been paying to access the service be exchanged. To do that, I had to suffer the inconvenience of taking them to a center and getting them changed. The issue was resolved that way after maybe a year and a half.

Pardon the fact that I work long hours to scrape up the money for these services that I have been paying for for the last 12+ years, and do not enjoy the luxury of having the time to sacrifice to have your faulty equipment swapped out after numerous complaints and after having service technicians at my apartment trying to rectify the source of my complaints. Now my internet, is an issue. I complained about internet/wi-fi latency and was told that the cause was again, equipment. At the time I was grandfathered into a 100mbps service. I again went to the service after complaining and being referred there and had the equipment changed to the "Arris" ethernet box with an Optimum logoed cone for wi-fi. Why the heck did I do that to myself!?!? I even upgraded out of the grandfathered data plan to, I believe a 300mbps plan, and needless to say, it has gotten nothing but worse.

After much passive frustration, I again contacted you regarding these repeated issues, and also addressed the fact that I have been paying you over $200/month for the last 12-13 years. My son just turned 16, I started with you before he started kindergarten... you figure it out! My account was supposedly notated with a retention offer, which no one since has been able to locate. Apparently you have cheaper offerings that you save only for customers who threaten to cancel your service, but don’t automatically update the plans on customers who don’t know better than to seek actual value for their hard earned money.

I did a few speed tests to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind… the first 2 were done a room away from the wi-fi router, the last is standing right next to it and that one believe it or not came out even worse!!!. The subscription is a 200-300mbps service. I run an online investing business and this has been costing profits beyond what your service is costing and this relationship is not sustainable under these conditions.

I called again today and was told by the representative that there is an outage in my area. When I added that I have been complaining about this for months, and asked her to reference the account notation, she returned with 'there has been an outage for several months'. She was undo reading a script of some sort, which, to me, was further insult to injury. How is this acceptable whether true or not?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I am sorry to say that Optimum has the worse service and the worse customer service reps!! I have been complaining about my TV service and internet for over a year and a half. As of today it still has not been resolved!! My internet is slow and I pay for on demand service and premium channels that does NOT work, rebooting my cable box have been a 2 hour pattern daily. The tech that came out in May 2019 stating that the cable wire from the house to the street has to be replaced. He told us that he will write it up and someone will come out and change it. This was NOT done!!

On November 23rd 2019 a different tech told us that the cable from the street to the house needed changing again. When I called Optimum the ticket was closed and no notes stated that they were going to change the wiring. According to both Techs unless the cable wires have been replaced I will continue to have this issue. I am so frustrated that after 20 plus years with Optimum their service has gone down, I am going to switch to Fios. Guess what. Optimum also does not ask you for survey anymore. Why is that?? My advice is stay away from Optimum.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I paid Optimum on a Saturday late night and did not realized the option date. Per customer service even when you pay your bill they cannot help you because the automated system cannot be override. Wish I stayed with Verizon.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

The worse billing customer service I ever had in my life! They charged me for nothing without my permits on. I just called them to get to know prices and plans but instead they asked my contacts and promised do not do anything and to call me next day. It never happened. In addition they charged me $50 for nothing!

Optimum Company Information