Shop on FYI
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I called Optimum for the service as I was not getting a Wi-Fi to my apt. As a called the optimum to make a appointment and ask the representative that, "Am I getting charged for these services," and the representative told me, "No you will not get charged." As on September 16, the technician came in and told me that, "Your router is locked and that the reason you are not getting the Wi-Fi and you are getting to much signal in your apt," so, he installed the patch outside the building and installed the new router. Additionally, when the end of the month I got the bill from the optimum which showed $80 charged in the bill for the service.

So, On October 2, I called the optimum and spoke with the representative that I was charged $80 which should be free of the charged as the representative told me before making the appointment. So, she told me not to worry that it will be deducted and, "You will get another statement in your email within 24 hours." And I waited for 3 to 4 day to adjustment was made so, I called the optimum on Oct 6, regarding this issue. And the representative told me that they cannot do anything because according to them it was valid charged. But, the told the representative that I was told that it was no charged, and he tells me that there was no notes.

Additionally, he told me that the notes for technician says that there was inside home wire fixed but there was no wired fixed inside the home. And I told him, "I am being with optimum for 12 years and what kind of game you guys are playing." As one persons says no charged and the other person says charged. So, I told him that, "Your technician and representative are not trained properly," so, he told me that he cannot says any bad things about their technican, which was funny.

So, I would suggest please stay away from this carrier because they are robber and it looks like they do not want any more customer. And I think I was not only person who was misused and robbed by this fishy company. And I recommend that the Consumer Affairs should take action because I believe was not the only person who was mistreated by this company. Please reply to this comment if anyone else went through the same experience. As our voice need to be heard. Until they make necessary changes to the company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I’ve had Optimum for a while the service was good for customer service. Since April they are a mess. I call every week, I get a person that doesn’t know what they are doing on the phone. I had 4 techs come to my house. They rush out, they don’t fix the problem. They said they will be back and don’t. They claim that it’s a programming issue. Can’t get a hold of a supervisor. Can’t get a hold of anyone that knows what they’re doing there. It’s ridiculous, it’s frustrating, it’s a crime what they’re doing. I had no on demand, no DVR Service, no cable, can’t get the Internet to work in my sons and daughters room. They have school, it’s frustrating. Don’t know what else to do or who to call to get the specs. Will be changing to a different company. They have a whole bunch of idiots answering the phones that don’t know what you’re doing, you’re going to lose all their clientele. I don’t know what happened to them. It’s ridiculous. It’s a sin. It’s no way to run a business.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

My apartment needs wifi extenders to have internet in the whole apartment. During the pandemic, I have worked remotely. My telemedicine appointments are continually dropped because of poor wifi. Starting 9/13 the technician who came did not bring requested extenders. Next appointment, the technician said he had never heard of a wifi extender. 9/16 confirmed appointment to bring extenders, technician did not come and said he knocked on the door. Impossible since he needed to go through the doorman and did not do so. 9/21 technician did not come and said he did. Same story as last appointment. 9/22 Complained and waited to receive a call back. Never received one. 9/24 Technician came but did not bring extender. Said he would be back the next day. He did not come.

9/26 I was told Optimum order wifi extenders and that they would be delivered within a week. They did not come. 9/26 optimum said wifi extenders coming via FedEx. 9/29 technician came but did not bring extenders and said extenders on order and being sent by fedex. 10/4 called and optimum said no wifi extenders on order. They would NEVER send through FedEx. Only way to get them was to purchase them at optimum store. 10/5 drove to optimum store. Service person at optimum said an individual can't purchase them at a store. Only way to get the extenders was through technician who would bring them. No record of call on 10/4. This company has lied to me repeatedly. Don't ever use them. I am trying to find another company as soon as I can..

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

In short, none of the Optimum customer service reps seem to know what they are doing, they'll pass you from department to department (on average, they'll transfer you 4 or 5 times in one call) and they'll then terminate the call with no explanation or resolution.

1. When I moved into my new Brooklyn apartment, naturally I wanted to transfer the old resident's account into my name. There is no option to do this online, so I called them and they said I had to physically mail in a form (are we in the 1950's?!). I followed these instructions exactly and heard nothing back after months of waiting.

2. Verizon showed up at my door, offering me the same service for $120 less A MONTH. Clearly, I wanted to switch.

3. Because of no.1, they wouldn't allow me to call up and cancel. So I had to get the old resident (who had moved to a different country) to call them at a significant cost to him (a phone bill of over $460)

4. We called Optimum a total of 8 times in order to cancel the service. Every time the wait was over an hour, and then the customer service rep seemed to be completely clueless and would fob us off to another department. On average, they would pass us over to other departments 3 or 4 times in one call. The reason we had to keep calling back so many times is because they would keep terminating the call with no warning or explanation.

5. After being promised by a manager that the bill for the next 30 days after cancellation would be taken off our account (it wasn't and was still charged to us), they had the audacity to up the bill for unreturned equipment. They had given us no instructions whatsoever in how to return the equipment or even told us that it needed to be returned.

Hands down the most painful and frustrating customer experience I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I disconnected my service with Optimum, because my bill went up by a substantial amount. I called customer service concerning the disconnection, and where to drop off the equipment. The woman I spoke with was very rude and didn't know where to tell me to drop off the equipment, I was put on hold for a very long time; and then a man came on the line, who was extremely obnoxious with loud noise in the background. He was asking for more information, which they already have on file. The worst customer service ever, I think it is non existent. Stay away from this company, they are fraud.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Absolute worst company in the country. Customer service is a disaster. I will keep it as short as possible. Started from installation. Installer acted like he was doing me a favor. He was rude and unprofessional. Boxes never work properly and have to be rebooted on a daily basis. I called. Was told they would send a tech. Set appointment. Tech never shows. I give up and figure I will live with it. Not worth the hassle of dealing with them. My one year promotion ends and I receive a bill that is almost double. I attempt to call to lower package and it takes me a week to get through. Finally get someone who proceeds to flat out lie to me on new cost and what channels I will have.

I then make numerous attempts to call and continually get bounced around by people in another county. I understand outsourcing customer service is cost effective but at least train the people that are answering the phones.. When I request to speak to someone in the US they put you on hold and leave you there. I understand it's a pandemic but at least a small modicum of competence would be appreciated. You still want me to pay my bill right? I am seeking no relief and pay my bills on time. All I ask to be treated with some decency. Not a lot to ask of someone I hand $220 a month to.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Service at Cablevision was impossible the last two months. Closed my account, went to turn in equipment and office people were nasty nasty nasty yelling at each other, customers, anybody else who walked in the door. Can’t imagine what warranted this. The behavior was unacceptable. Does it cost them their salary if they are nice, civilized? Sure seems like it!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I had a very difficult time dealing with several people at Optimum in the Tech department. I first want to say reaching Optimum by phone is very difficult. Waiting time is so bad they call you back in more than 45 minutes. Only half the time they actually call back, the customer must keep calling. I dealt with 3 tech people on the phone and 2 over online help for about 3 weeks. A tech person was scheduled to come out and did not show up. I waited 8 hours. I did not receive a call to cancel. From September 3rd I had no Home phone service until today September 23rd. Finally I got someone on the phone through the billing department that also knew how to fix tech issues. Jameel was able to help me solve the problem completely and phone service was restored. He did in minutes what 5 other people could not solve in weeks. This is my first time writing a review but I felt compelled to do so. Thank you Jameel.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Whoever the technician was who install a cable in my building left a mess of wires hanging from the ceiling in the hallway of the building. It is the sloppiest job I've ever seen. The wall was freshly painted and he left the dirty fingerprints all over the wall but that can be painted however he left all the wires hanging out of the sleeve that the wires go into in a very sloppy manner. I was going to get cable but after seeing that I changed my mind.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

Optimum is terrible. They are falsifying claims and and trying to get away with. They claiming that a service agent came to my home, when they are not and are playing hardball cause they have building monopolized. Now my internet is super slow and never had this problem before. Gonna push board to change that for next contract. Terrible!!!! They are trying to rip people off in the middle of pandemic, when trying to keep up with bills.

Optimum Company Information