ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Request Information
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.84/5
Based on 1,232 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Cox Cable Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

So when moving here in 2005 I contacted Cox for services. Kept them for 2 years and then canceled due to apartment complex not allowing them to do service at their complex. Anyhow moved and got a different service. Cox begged me and conned me with a $200.00 dollar gift card. Upon going back to their company they promised me that I would only pay $120.00 for the entire time in which I would be with them. Well they lied, the 1st month yes $120.00 then 2 months later, $133.00, 2 months later $145.00. My bill has gone up to $255.00 a month. I refuse to pay this company almost $300.00 dollars to look at TV, they do this thinking we need them.

I have decided to go with Sling, Hula or anyone else for $40.00 bucks and get internet for $40.00 bucks a month than to pay these people $300.00 dollars. I hope everyone would cancel their services with this company so that they can file bankruptcy and go out of business. This is so unfair and unacceptable how they prey and treat customers. They are at home looking at TV for free and treating paying customers any kind of way that they want thinking since this is a necessity they can take advantage, well sorry COX you will not be getting any more monies from this person.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Advice, when considering TV cable service, take your time and explore other options first, Netflix, or other cheaper svcs first, if you sign up for cable/TV svc with these shysters and dont keep the service for 2yrs, you're charged a hefty $250 or more cancellation fee, also outlandish Bills, that will forever increase, buyer beware.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I had Cox Communications basic cable in West Warwick Rhode Island. It was $41 a month but my package came with zero cable channels. All of the channels were basic antenna TV from around the nation. The last month of service the cable box didn't work half the time. All the channels were very boring. After 11 months of dealing with this fake cable company. I decided to go the old-fashioned way and plug my radio in and listen to that. Cox Communications cable is very expensive and not worth the money. You would be better off buying a radio.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Persisting problems with TV signal box suddenly going dead losing programs, internet going dead, phone going dead; personnel failing to remedy problem, refusing responsibility, unqualified techs....

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I will not be able to put enough words on here to say how much I hate this company. Our modem goes out at least 4 times a month for the past year. This is just about when they started building a Google Data Center nearby. Before we would have outages as well. NEVER have they been willing to help. We even had to pay for them to do something that worked temporarily. The actual service and the customer service are nonexistent. I am forced to use Cox because of the shady business tactics that leave a monopoly for internet service. I hate this company more than anything on earth (even more than an HOA). Pure evil how the use leverage. Every person who is employed by them and the owners are horrible people. I just hope I get a chance to NOT help you with whatever it is that could make your life normal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

On principle I won’t support this company any more, they’ve become morally bankrupt, I’ve had nothing but problems with Cox, they play a lot of dumb games with cutting services if you're a day late on your bill even, I didn’t really notice how shady it was til a friend that did tech for cox started pointing all the BS out, I just thought their service was garbage but it turns out they’ll go as far as corrupting your top priority recordings, specifically things that won’t air again and aren’t available on demand, they’ll also restart your DVR box in the middle of prime time or when you're recording on all tuners so it ruins as many recordings as possible, there’s about 30 other things like freezing and glitching etc. they do, it’s pretty ridiculous, they marketed the new DVRs as an upgrade but they have way too much control over your services now and it only benefits cox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

Cox has so far been a horrible experience. We initially signed up for internet only. $108 for what I would call basic internet for minor streaming and internet access. Then we added cable for what was supposed to amount to 154 with the bundle. First bill was $451!!! We went ahead and paid out to a zero balance after repeated call ins and chats with representatives, after being clearly advised that it would be 154 monthly moving forward. They still have not come out to bury the cable lines that are strewn across the front yard three months later. I called to inquire when that would be done. They did a service request for that only to have someone come out and say that they do not handle that and they they would send someone else out to do it. Then charged me another $55 for that!!!! Just got out next bill for 265!!! This has been a horrible experience. I would not recommend to anyone looking for cable or internet to do business with them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

So why who's on first? Simple you call Cox on Monday you get answer "A". Call Tuesday you get answer "b" and so on. My mother was told her bill would not go over *** amount of dollars. Well it was that amount for one month. The excuse that was given was that, "Are you ready for it?" That she called on August and the new plan went into place till the next yearly cycle. Yep the that happened in October and bill went up over 60.00. What get me is the person knew this and yet promised her a lower price. In two years her bill has increased over 70%. Frankly I think cox is a joke with poor service, poor attitudes and a monopoly. I'd rather do without than use cox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Today, December 28, is the Peach Bowl. We are 3 plays into the game and my cable goes out entirely. I call the technical desk and they are totally unaware of issue but can text me when service is back up. I pay $254 a month for cable tv and internet for this horrendous service.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I switched to Cox from Verizon about a month and a half ago. I did my homework I thought. The real nice but lying sales people at Cox quoted me a price of $129.00 a month for a year. I specifically asked if that included all taxes and other charges and was told yes. So here we are a month and a half later and I get my first bill. It is for $164.00 plus taxes and fees. I called Cox and was told there is nothing they can do. If the sales person lied then so be it, the fee is 164 plus. Not sure how long I'm staying with them. Verizon is looking a lot better.

Not sure about Cox Cable?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right satellite or cable TV provider for you.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team