Cox Cable

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I haven't had cable in a couple of years. Decided to get it for the house. Cox very high overcharged customers so much money. Bill was high as 500 dollars. Then the bundles don't seem to be the prices they falsely advertise never tell you billed a month in advance. Customer Service are very rude. Everyone tell you different answers to get you off the phone. I wish we had another cable provider besides Cox. They overcharge the customers. There are no bundles. Your bill never the same. Different each month. Why do we have to pay such high bills to watch tv? Cox are a very bad cable company. I don't understand 15.99 each month for DVR box 8.50 for each contour box. I have 2 boxes was being charge for 3 15.99 for HBO. Can't afford it. You pay one bill the next one they're due to a month in advance. Are this legal?

I called Cox to discuss my insanely huge bill for just internet & phone, they ended up talking me into contour tv. The guy has wires going across my house leaving them out for my pets to bite into or get hurt with. I had a lot of things in the way but still he could of tucked them behind the things or hung them up. I can't even find the 150 channels I was promised. Most the shows are double or triple repeats. I can't find any of the shows I like or channels. HSN is about the only thing to watch and their prices are through the roof & un-affordable to the average person. When I was watching the news, they were on the previous day, yesterday's news and it was 5 am and they said 9 am on previous days news. What in the world? Box was left where it blocks some of my view to see tv. I canceled my netflix when I ordered this service and really wish I had not as this is a complete rip-off.

When I do find a show to watch it's X-Files from the 1990's or shows that are really old. Get with the current years' movies people. My internet modem constantly shuts off & has to be reset in the middle of my work online. Not to mention the bills are through the roof for these services and when I mentioned it they talked me into adding another feature which increases the bill even more. I was given no paperwork to show how to work tv shows or what shows I have, or no instructions besides "here's the remote, here's the on & off button". I am very unsatisfied and wish I had just stayed with Netflix.

Before I start, is there a "NO star option"? Satisfaction isn't an option with this company. Scale of 1-5, this company is a -1 with a sad face emoticon. The subject say it all. This is a terrible company. The service is terrible, their customer service is terrible, the prices and fees are terrible. We pay for pretty high end internet speeds, we have a high end router, the two computers in the house are both new with excellent hardware, one computer is direct connect, and we still have terrible internet. My roommate is direct connected and still gets terrible lag, we get disconnected all the time from the internet, our wifi stays up though (our hardware actually working). We are told we get a certain speed but any speed tests reports FAR FAAAAR below what we pay for. Our download speeds come in at a trickle. If someone turns on netflix on one computer the other computer is teleported to 2001 AOL speeds.

Our account keeps getting messed up because Cox managed to establish 2 separate accounts for my roommate, one he can view online and pay for (don't worry, that isn't the one that matters), and one that we have NO access to that he has to call in to make payments on that we receive no information on. Apparently it takes an act of congress to remove an account that NO ONE USES but somehow shared all his information and billing info. I would go with AT&T but they are not much better.

If you had an option to go with Cox or not, I suggest creating your own company with whatever knowledge you current posses about establishing a internet service provider and do it, because you will probably do a better job than the people at Cox. Also, let me know when you start up because I want to be your first customer. HAND TO GOD, SWEAR ON THE BIBLE, THE CONSTITUTION AND MY MOTHER'S LIFE. While trying to hit submit on this, my internet went out.

We are so over Cox Communications. They pretty much have a monopoly on service in Wichita, KS. No other internet in our part of town is available yet. Been Cox customers for over 20 years and never missed a payment nor even been late on one. Every year we get rid of more and more services, less channels, slower internet but every year our bill keeps increasing. You can't get on their website and see prices per service/equipment to actually see what else you can get rid of to lower your bill. Nothing is listed separately price wise and they make you call if you want to lower or get rid of services. New customers pay 1/2 of what existing, long-standing good customers pay.

The reason they don't list cost for services separately is they have so many bundles and tiers and plans that everybody pays something different. We don't use 1/4 of the lowest internet service so we are paying for those who use too much. We watch 4 or 5 channels of TV but these of course are available only in the higher cost packages. We're older and on a fixed income; we don't need the "contour" junk, home phone, special equipment or any of the other bells and whistles but they've still just about priced us out and they don't really care. Guess it's time to "cut the cord" like others are doing. Cox can set these prices just as high as they want and no one regulates it and no one can compete with them. The City of Wichita gets their cut though so they aren't going to regulate it either. Wish they'd come up with a plan for people like us but I guess they figure they don't have to.

Shortly after my husband, John, passed away, I called COX to change the account to my name. Later in the day, when realized I hadn't received expected call backs, I checked my phone and the line was dead. I called COX on my cell phone and spent about an hour with a young lady & her supervisor doing everything in their power to reconnect me. Finally, it was decided a technician would have to come out the next afternoon. That morning, I wondered if I was going to be charged a Service Fee for the technician's visit. I called COX, again, and spoke to Christian and he said "Yes, there will be a Service Fee". I didn't feel that I should have to pay for what I felt was a mistake on COX's part. Christian and his supervisor were able to give me a temporary line & put in a request to get my phone # of 30 yrs back.

Christian said he should have the information back on Mon, Nov 15th and he would call. I have to admit, the Doubting Thomas did rear its ugly head, several times! I wondered if I'd hear back from Christian and or get my old # back. When the phone rang, Mon morning & Christian identified himself with the Good News about my old #, I could hardly talk! I was so overwhelmed that Christian had followed thru and was a man of his word. It's more than obvious that Christian has excellent work ethic & his Customer Service is definitely 5 Star. You do not meet the caliber of people, like Christian, every day! Be grateful COX that you have such an outstanding employee representing your company! KUDOS, Christian! Thank you for renewing my Faith!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

We moved into our new home on 11/7/16. I called Cox residential on or around 10/7/16 to set up a Cox installation appointment hopefully prior to 11/10/16 so I could have all Cox services installed and ready for an 11/11/16 Geek Squad tv/printer/internet appointment so all services could be tested. I was trying to be proactive so Cox services would be in my new home shortly after moving in. Three ticket numbers, 5 weeks, and 5 people later, ** with Mike at 405-607-6767, ** with Angela at **, Brittany ** (contacted directly by the developer of the new subdivision, and a conversation with a technical supervisor related to the first ticket number referred to me by Mike mentioned above, who never called me back just like Mike who also never called me back over a two/three week period until he picked up directly this past week.

The bottom line problem as I see it is that your engineering contact, Steve, for this new subdivision (North Ridge Estates in Southington, CT 06489) is not putting the new street addresses in your system so sales can set up the new service appointments. As I went thru this process it seemed very clear to me that this new construction/no address issue is a common occurrence and well known by the sales staff in your organization. You also have a problem with your staff returning phone calls and e-mail status update requests. This problem is very frustrating since other people in this subdivision do already have Cox services and it also took them 4-8 weeks after moving in to get an installation appointment.

I am retired but during my working career I was a COO and a CFO in two different companies. If sales told me that this problem existed and new revenue dollars was not being realized and even jeopardized because engineering was not doing their job, I would have addressed this condition immediately and rectified the problem quickly and effectively. To be fair, I must also tell you that I called again today and was connected to a Rebecca @ 757-224-9391 ticket # **. She was outstanding in trying to rectify this problem for me. She gave me her direct line and e-mail address and told me to check with her on the status of this situation anytime I wanted to. She said she would try to get my problem resolved because she has had experience dealing with several similar situations.

In my opinion, Rebecca is someone Cox does not want to lose because she has outstanding customer service skills and she can easily and effectively relate to the customer and their concerns. I felt for the first time, in this month long process, that someone in Cox is really trying to resolve this problem. As an fyi, I was a Cox customer for over 25 years prior to selling our previous home in September, 2015 and this experience has completely changed my opinion of Cox services. Thank you in advance for your attention on this matter.

I am so tired of monthly increases when I am told that I am locked in since I call to complain the month before. I have been with them for over 13 years. Now having to pay an extra 2.99 per month per tv for HD. I feel that they can give those boxes as a good gesture and not charge for them. I am retired and it is getting to the point where I am going to have to cut them off and go somewhere else. Cox has no consideration for its customers and it is all about money. I wish they would take notice of all these reviews and make it right.

I do not like writing bad reviews but I am extremely upset with Cox and decided that I should share my experience with others. I have been a Cox "valued customer" for 3 years. In May of 2016 Cox contractor tech came to my house to install a cable TV for my and while he working by the cable box out the side of my house he left a 3 cable splitters on the grass and left the next day. I cut my grass and when I got to the spot where he left the splitters which is I didn't see them until one of them went inside my lawn mower deck and damaged my lawn mower engine so I called Cox and made claim. NO one called.

I called them 6 times. Nothing until October I got called from some sorry women who work for American Cable (Cox sub-contractor). She asked me if I still have the lawn mower. I told her “No I throw it away because I was tired of look at it.” First she offer me $50. I told her no because I paid $350+tax at Home Depot for this lawn mower so she said “Let me call you back and I will let you know.” Then she called me after a week saying that she denied my claim because I don't have the lawn mower but I told her I have the pictures and the splitters. She said no.

We have one mini box already and just wanted to add a second one. You would think that would be easy enough but the Cox web store is pathetic. After logging in and going to the 'add TV equipment' tab, the store shows the option to add everything but a mini box. This is different than what I was told by the chatroom rep.

On Thursday November 3rd I called the Cox residential service department in Casa Grande, Arizona to cancel my current service. The representative I spoke to is named Rob. I informed him of my desire to cancel my service and as expected he gave an effort to keep me as a customer. I politely declined and told him that I would just like to cancel. Rob continued to ignore my request at least 3 or 4 times even after I explained that I had already decided and wanted to cancel service. I believe Rob was intentionally trying to upset me with his refusal to perform my request and I admit that it worked. After 5 or 10 minutes of Rob talking in circles I asked to speak to his manager/supervisor and he transferred me to her. I forget her name but she was very helpful and immediately honored my request. Employees like unprofessional employees like Rob are the big reason people leave Cox and never come back. I won't be back.

Last night our services were cut off because of another error by COX. I am ticked off and tired of interruptions in programming. Not only do we suffer programming disconnects, but now they don't even get things straight in their office/management department. From errors in the package, to mistakes in receipts of payment, enough is enough. We missed the last part of the World Series due to their mess-ups!!! And I had internet work to be done which I had to do over my phone which meant I could not photoshop images to be worked on. GET it together COX. You surely charge enough!!! And watch out everyone. Make sure your billings are correct and they don't overcharge you fees that should not be charged!

I do not like writing bad reviews but I am extremely upset with Cox and decided that I should share my experience with others. I have been a Cox "valued customer" for 4 years now, 3 of which I liked Cox for the most part. Today I was told that I signed some kind of 2-year contract which I was never made aware of. Also, promotion ended after 1 year and my bill goes up which is not communicated to me.

Customer service is absolutely useless, rude and does not let you talk. Sales team fails to inform of all details and consequences on purpose just to get you signed up and get paid commission. It is absolutely pointless to talk to supervisors on different levels because all you here is that you must fulfill contract or pay cancellation fee and there is nothing they can do! They will give you the discounts and promotions to get you signed and yet will not care if you are not happy after 4 or 6 years as I am reading reviews. I will disconnect my services and never want to know or hear again about Cox Communications! Worst company ever!

Our building was destroyed by a drunk driver and they rep on the phone explained that we did not need to return the damaged equipment and that they would write it off as a loss since we were moving locations and continuing our service with them. 10 months later when we had to officially close our business, they wanted us to return the damaged equipment of which we clearly didn't possess. So they charged us a huge fee! They were always nice over the phone and made lots of promises but then we would get a follow up email that basically negated everything they had agreed to over the phone. What cowards! Our service with them wasn't THAT great over the 5 years we were customers, lots of outages and internet issues and then they stabbed us in the back in the end. Buyer Beware!!!

It took over an hour and four customer service representatives to set up COX internet; more importantly, they overcharged me by $21.72. The first representative that entered all of my information and got me set up first, told me over and over that my bill would only be $39.99 for the first bill and later bills. The first bill I got was for $61.71 because they added an internet self activation kit, which is not tangible and it does not materially exist. Also, they never told me about the $20 kit, and that they would charge me for it. I discovered this charge only when I received my first bill.

Secondly, COX told me they needed my social security number just to verify my identity, and after I asked the representative if it would show up on my credit, he lied and said "no." When I checked my credit report later on I found out that COX lied to me, blatantly, because it showed up as a hard pull on my credit, and subsequently lowered my credit score. I believe that the people or sales people who sign you up are taught to tell you what you want to hear, and even lie, just to sign people up for their services. I also believe that they think that they can get away with it because they are such a huge business, and they know that the average person does not have the money or time to sue them for lying, lowering people's credit scores, and ripping people off.

I have internet connection problem with my computer and tablet today and the problem persisted the whole day. Then I called the Cox customer service. The representative tried a few things like refreshing the connection and reconnecting the power of the modem. However, the problem was not solved. Then he started to question my modem as it is not owned by Cox. He told me that if the modem is not owned by Cox, he cannot provide any deeper service and if he send the tech over my home, it will be charged. He indicated that the loss of internet connection is highly due to the modem is not a Cox owned modem. The ironic thing is that when I handed off the phone disappointedly, I reconnect the wire with the router, and the internet seems back to normal again.

I feel so frustrated that the company would not help the customer patiently to solve the problem but only accuse the customer not following their rules of using their expensive modem while I have this so called outdated modem for half a year and there is rarely any problem other than today. And I am 100% sure it is not due to my modem. I think the company is not clearly separate the sales department from the support department and they would assume the problem they are incapable of solving is the fault of the customer, which is frustrated me the most. And it seems like if you buy their service and you want a good support, the only thing you can do is to buy or rent their modem no matter you like it or not.

I have been told the price lock for 2 years, first 6 months was ok then my price is going up every 3 months. When I called customer service, first customer representative says something wrong with the current bill and she connects to second level. They will start telling some reasons and one of the promotion is expired. How do I know this promotion is expired? Nowhere in my bill is showing something is going to expire and I have been told this price is good for next 2 years. They started saying it is showing in their system. What is the point if I am not seeing. Some of my friends also told the same things is happening with them also. It looks like they are cheating everyone. This is one way of cheating. I don't understand what is the meaning of price lock? I got frustrated with COX Communication. I am planning to pay early termination penalty and move on.

Just cancelled Cox cable and Internet. The past two months my bill has gone up by $52. When I call all I get is "Well your promotion ended." The customer service reps I talked to are all rude. I have had Cox for 6 years but am moving to DirecTv and AT&T Uverse. How can you offer a deal to someone who has never paid you a dollar before for services but offer nothing but rising prices for someone who has paid their bill every month for 6 years? Family who has Cox is also having problems with rising bills every month and looking to cancel also. We've also had the Internet go out twice in the past month, but I never saw a credit on my bill for the times I was without service. Don't even have a physical house phone but am made to bundle with cox so I have to pay for phone every month that I don't even have. I will never have services with them again.

I'm done with Cox Cable. I don't mind the haggle of getting a lower rate bundling my cable TV and Internet before my contract expires, but charging me $75 to have a support technician come out and fix the cable box from resetting on its own because your system is not configured properly was the last straw for me. Not only was I not told that I would be charged for the visit, but I have to pay YOU to fix YOUR crappy television service? How absurd! Furthermore, it took another technician to come out to try and fix it again in which case the problem still isn't fixed, so I have to look at my bill next cycle to see if another $75 charge is going to be applied or not. Goodbye Cox, goodbye Cable TV. You definitely know how to turn off millennials over to the cable cutting dark side.

I've had Cox cable and Internet service for 16 months and the price increased three times. The service is poor. I can't even say how many times I've had to call about the cable box not working, error messages, extremely slow Internet, and web pages not loading. I upgraded my service and picked up a new box yesterday morning, but because of one mistake after another, problems with the box, and over two hours spent on the phone with tech support, I still don't have cable. A tech is scheduled to come to my apartment today after 3 pm. I hate Cox but am stuck with them for now because of where I live. I'm looking forward to the day when I can move out of this apartment and switch to another cable and Internet provider.

We closed our Cox account and returned all equipment. At that time we were told we were all paid up. They later sent a bill for $47.25, but to a BOGUS ADDRESS. Later COX sends this to a collection agency with the wrong address. They sent notices to the wrong address. We found out about this when we were denied credit for an auto purchase for something. We paid the bill immediately to at least get the 'late' payments stopped, however, since this is apparently a valid bill we can't say we didn't owe it. COX refuses to do anything about this. Our perfect credit rating is now destroyed for the next 10 years. COX won't give us a copy of the bill unless we pay for it. Apparently I can pay for credit repair also.

My bill increased by more than 6% in March and then by more than 7% in October. Every year this is an issue, but this is the first year that the "loyalty" department has flat refused to do anything. The response was "yes, we had a price increase. There's nothing we can do about that." Unfortunately my only other internet option is Verizon, so I'm stuck. Who authorizes TWO increases in a 7 mo period???

Price increase every 6 months. What's wrong with these **? The piece of ** CEO is not making enough money. This monopoly of Cox cable has to stop. Internet service has become a luxury that most people can't afford any more. As soon as another reasonable option comes up I'll tell Cox to go ** themselves!!!

Constant billing errors, causing distress and aggravation. Poor service quality. Never achieved advertised Internet speeds, but yet they charge more than Comcast, TW or Verizon. Ended service because of military transfer to a non Cox state and they bill me for disconnecting service. The most arrogant, intransigent and greedy company I have dealt with. I hope they disappear!

After having our box go out a good 25-30 times in just a couple of days and having two different service technicians come out... one of which changed the box, it still didn't work. No one told us they were going to charge $75 for that! Not only should they have not charged us but they should have paid us. Needless to say, they are no longer our cable company!!!

I really don't get how come this kind of companies still survive and can make money. The so-called customer service is one of the worst I can say. My bill went up to $20 per month and I figured that I was on a 'promotion' that I didn't even know, and that promotion is over now. I tried to contact to them, after waiting 40 mins on the phone, the agent mention that she cannot do the cancellation, cause I gotta call ** number. WTH. She can do everything but cancellation. I tried to contact them through live chat. But guess what... Only the "cancellation" department does not have live chat session. Then I contacted them through Twitter, the guy asked me all the question to verify my account. Once I provide all of them right away, after 15 FIFTEEN hours later, he sent me a link which was about "how to decide speed selection". WTH!! This is like a joke. I swear. I will NEVER EVER will use their service anymore. I was with them 6 years!! This is so ridiculous.

I have never received a email or Cox rep ever explained to me that this was coming. The need to have a digital box to watch my basic cable with them. Then I come home from work one day and my channels start to disappear and being told to call Cox for a new Mini Box to view the channels that were lost. Now they want to charge me $186.00 instead of my normal bill of $86.00 that my contract state because of this new Mini Box program. ** Cox!!! I have been with them for 4 years never late on a bill. This is how you treat loyal customers. I cancelled their Ass. Never again Cox... bye bye.

Cox Cable internet is great... when it's actually working. However, service is SO intermittent, particularly during peak hours. It's almost more aggravation than it's worth. In the evenings, wifi is very slow, and sometimes goes off every few minutes. If we had another internet provider option, we would take it. I wish they could improve their service overall.

After 4 years they then decided that some equipment from a rental house we owned wasn't returned. So why not just screw up our credit score with snohux claim. I called the tenant and they swear they returned both pieces. $945 for an old cable box and an old modem that they keep advising that we should be upgrading because the older modems can't handle the new speeds. Then after an equipment review, they found the cable box had been returned. Amazing how one piece magically appears and the other is still missing. Everyone knows COX never makes mistakes. They said "$420 and we will mark your acct as paid. No negotiation. Just pay or we will screw your credit score up."

I called Cox services yesterday 9-30-16 and automatic service says even they are having issues themselves. Got hacked last week as well as a number of local Cox users. I have been a long time loyal customer of 18 years and recently have noticed my bill has been going up these past two months. Was told because I used the directory assistance three times is why my bill went up this month. Last month calls were being dropped, messages could not be obtained, e-mails would not open and yet still had to pay for raised prices. I feel when Cox are having issues they should not be charging customers for their own issues! Told the lady I'm thinking of switching to another provider if one can be found reliable. Thank you.

After having cable for 19 years I am just about done. The service changes very little over time and I don't watch any more or less TV than I ever have. In 1989 Cable was $24/month. Now I pay over $216 for cable and internet (not top tier packages either). Yes there are more features but the value has not increased 8x like the price has. My Cox bill eclipses my electricity bill every month. If Cox wants to convince customers it costs as much to provide Cable and Internet as it does to generate and deliver electricity to my home I am all ears...

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.
  • Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.
  • 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.
  • Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.
  • Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.
  • Best for Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers