Cox Cable
1.50/5
Based on 177 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Cox Cable

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

972 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I was with Cox Cable since 2007 - over 10 years. I had Internet and cable TV with two connection boxes for two TVs. For over 10 years, I paid "rent" on those two connection boxes, pieces of plastic, old technology, since outdated, never replaced. I canceled cable TV last year and went to satellite, but kept the wireless service. It didn't occur to the rep to tell me that I had two pieces of equipment I being charged rent on, and needed to return. Maybe because I was still a customer???

I just called to cancel service because I am moving out of the area, and was informed I owed them $500 for those two worthless plastic boxes they'll simply throw away after charging me rent for a decade. I found 1 box and returned it, so now I "only" owe $250. They will not negotiate. "No one" - literally no one at Cox - can review the complaint and write off the charge. It cannot be done by God or human, I'm told. NO ONE AT COX CAN REVIEW THE COMPLAINT AND RESOLVE IT. No one. Sorry. She even refused to transfer the call to a supervisor after multiple requests (which became demands) "BECAUSE NO ONE CAN HELP YOU," and just left me on hold for five minutes.

It is not up for discussion with Cox at all. No supervisor. No escalation of the issue. I should just file a claim with my homeowners' insurance, they said. (Really?) If I don't pay them $250, they will turn me over to collection. Never mind that they never told me to return the boxes until a year later when I have no idea where the second one is anymore (Goodwill?). Never mind that they've been raking in money for two boxes for over a decade. Never mind that the equipment is worthless and outdated. So keep that kind of customer service in mind if you consider them which, quite frankly, I would not. They're literally helpless if you dispute a charge. They cannot resolve your complaint. They will not assist you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Worst company ever. 254 a month for services. You call to see what you can do to get the bill lower. Not very much help. You cancel your service then you get a call from rude customer service. They wouldn't work out a payment plan on a 196 balance until I returned my equipment so I did and what happens!!?? I make payments every week to pay it off so they send me to collections. Adds extra charges for their awful service that I am not even using anymore and screw my credit score and send it to collections with an extra added $41. LMAO. Company is the biggest joke. Rudest people. They rip people off. I will go with no service before ever going back to that company. Unreal.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My family and I moved to a smaller town where it appeared that Cox was the only internet and TV provider. We paid for their service in a bundle as they always try to sell and at the beginning it seemed like a good deal 50 Megs internet, hundred channels and a phone service I didn't really want for $80 is a month. Then after the first couple of months I started to receive more and more gouges in my monthly bill. After several months of trying to get a reason and paper billing so that I could go over each charge they finally shut us off because we refuse to keep paying what was now a hundred and fifty to $175 a month without reasoning.

The last time we attempted to contact them the rep told us that somebody had put a note in the computer saying that we were the ones that were aggressive and he shut us off because of the way we talk to him. Do not use their service. It will not cost what you think it will and it is more of a pain than it's worth. I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Terrible, greed oriented company that rips off the consumer any way they can - devious deception, extremely poor service, does not allocate a fair amount of their huge profits towards customer support or product maintenance, slips in unrequested upgrades on the bill, has deceptive information practices to mask their agenda of gouging the consumer. The list goes on & on. Monopolies are supposed to be against federal law but they hold a monopoly in my area and continue to exploit it to add to their revenue base. In a nutshell, they should be investigated and indicted by the FCC - Maybe even be subject to a class action civil suit!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

My wife and I moved from GA. last year. We were customers of Cox Cable for 20+ years before moving. We returned our cable equipment before moving and then 9 months later get a bill for the equipment. I tried and tried to resolve this with these people only to get the run around and turned over to a collection agency. Then after paying these jackoffs their money, dinged my credit with this crap!!! So I called again to ask questions and file a complaint, never to hear a word form any one. In my opinion, Cox Communications is a rip-off and has THE SORRIEST service of any provider I’ve had to deal with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I own vacation rentals. It appears that when they come out to work on the box in our complex it takes down our service in some of our vacation rentals causing renters to be disgruntled and costing us money as we have to reimburse our renters for the inconvenience due to Cox not taking care of the issue, they caused by not responding to the issue immediately. This has been happening for years. We cannot switch to DirecTV due to wiring in our buildings. So unhappy with not having constant dependable cable and NOT getting a quick service response!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Cox sent me equipment I did not order, did not disclose fees for the equipment I did order, and charged me to repair defective equipment they sent me. They are refusing to remove the $97.99 in fraudulent charges from my bill. I contacted them 2 days ago, and they attempted to negotiate with me to pay only some of the fees. Unacceptable. All lines were busy when the call was escalated, and was promised a callback within 6 hours. It has now been over 48 hours without a call. My service is being held hostage and they are threatening to suspend it if the fees are not paid.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Lost cable service on Friday afternoon. The attempt to reboot remotely failed. The fastest service call was five days later. I have been a loyal customer for 28 years and this is very poor service especially on Super Bowl weekend. I have been considering DirecTV. Maybe it is time!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I was calling to move my service to my new address and I kept getting transferred around - I’d been transferred seven times and everyone was telling me something different, (my local store is closed at this point so I couldn’t just go in for help). One guy on the phone told me that my area isn’t in the service range (it’s literally a street over from my old address). Then he told me I had to cancel my account and he transferred me to a lady to take care of that for me. when I asked her to cancel my account she told me I had to call a different number, so I called the number she gave me and it wasn’t even a real number. I didn’t want to be unreasonable, so I emailed the company first to explain my situation and the person was like, “Hi Deena, we can look into this for you. Respond back with the full address of your current address and the address you would like to move the account over to.”

So I told them my old and new addresses. and then she sends me a link and tells me to use that to transfer my service. But it’s a link to PURCHASE NEW SERVICE. By this point I’ve wasted 6 hours and I couldn’t deal with any more stress so I went to bed and left it to deal with the next day. Fast forward to my lunch break. Day 2: I log into my Cox account and it’s telling me that my service has been canceled. So I call the local Cox store and no one answers the phone. I feel justified in posting this review as I’ve tried reaching out several times for the company to fix the issue and it only gets progressively worse.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I called them because they cut my cable off because they said I have interference in my lines. They have had my internet and phone off for 7 days even after I called a million times. They are not professional at all. I wish there was another provider I could use. They are very rude and the service guys look like they come straight out the projects with no idea about **.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

COX provides the speeds they advertise, which is great when it works. The problem is the constant outages. In just 3 months of service with COX I have had more than 10 outages lasting multiple hours. Many of which are, according to COX phone support, planned outages. I can understand if occasionally there is something beyond their control. However, multiple times a month shows incompetence and terrible infrastructure. Even worse is when an outage is planned and yet the paying customer is not even notified of this planned outage in advance. COX implies that by purchasing internet services from them, you can expect to access that service at any time. Instead, with all the outages, this is a service that is only occasionally available and cannot be counted on.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Horrific experience. After being overcharged for many months without notifying me that my bill will increase, I tried to contact Cox. Had to look up the phone number because the phone number is not in the emails it sends to me. Finally got ahold of Lou in the loyalty department after being transferred three times (Caleb in billing was very helpful in providing info but wasn't able to change my package). Lou was very unhelpful and appeared to not understand, requiring me to explain many times the simple overcharge. Received many conflicting statements making me wonder what the truth is in what. After much unproductive conversation and long unproductive pauses, I decided to completely cancel with Cox. I will not deal with a company that requires me to deal with this type of harassment every time I try to find out why my package/bill has changed without me being notified and how to change it.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

My mother has been a COX customer for 27 years. She was told she could lower her monthly payment by $10, she would just need to upgrade her cable box. What should have been a simple procedure quickly turned into a 3 hour long debacle where my mother was on hold 4 different times, with several different people, trying to resolve her issue.

First of all, she was sent a new, Rovi cable box AND a Cox Contour. That was a mistake because all she should have been sent was the Contour. Second of all, when we went to install the Contour to access her cable, we were slapped with a “Sorry, a subscription is required to access this channel”, for every channel that she should have been receiving. No one we spoke to seemed to know what to do about the issue, no one was able to figure out what was going on. This should not have happened and is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable. Buyer beware. Think twice about using Cox services. They’re a joke.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I went from a simple internet fee and upcharged to a silver bundle. The technician, charged me and came early (before I was there). He took my personally owned Cox modem that I recently bought from COX. I want it back btw! He put the new modem that was to cost me anywhere from $7 per month to $21 per month (take a guess which one Cox hit me for). All to get higher internet - which he did not turn in until 2 week later - at a cost to me. My bill is now 90 approx dollars more and I feel cheated. I want my modem and I WILL CALL THE COMPETITION. Cox is dishonest. I was told my final bill (before switching would be $133 ish -counting taxes); then the nice technician came before the alotted time and stole my modem. The one I just paid Cox $175 for a few months previously.

So after getting my phone and internet actually switched on - it was off for 10 days - I get charged an activation fee. This technician should not be paid anything - what a ripoff. Oh and the $ approx $133 went up to $145 per month because of the new fancy modem. Only problem is that after my call to Cox to ask for my modem - I am now told my monthly bill is appx. $155 per month. YES, I feel ripped off. This supposed deal will expire next January. As principle - I will look around. Cox is an okay company but they rip people off and have lied to me. I am extremely disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have noticed big change in customer service, & overall performance as a company. Latest issue: Cox recommended laying new cable - has resulted in a wait of 3 months. They contract a company to paint where water, electric, etc. are located (neon colors in the street as well). They pull permits before digging. From initial contact with Cox (Nov. 2017) to Jan. 1, 2018, I have just found out, someone wrote "cancelled" by mistake on the work scheduled. Then I was told work would be done Jan. 2. When no one showed up, I called to find no permits had been issued & work moved to end of month. I had cancelled other appointments to be here which "would take all day". No call to inform me of the change. Completely fed up, this time I cancelled everything. I was told that I had to call the contractor to clean up the neon paint. Since it's their contractor, I told Cox to call; not my business to clean up their mess! I'm still waiting. Will look for other provider!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have Cox service for 1 month. Since then my cable has bad reception. Channels don't work and the waiting couple minutes to show, internet keeps disconnecting, my first bill was $125 dollars. It is terrible service.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My experience with Cox Cable is not good. First of all, I did not approve to get Cox in the first place. They must check their computers and see that there is NO ACTIVITY GOING ON. I sent back the box back in March when it mysteriously showed up at my home. And now they sent me to collections. Also they are messing up my credit score. I'm not going to give in and pay for something I freaking don't have. Come to my home and see for yourself. I will NEVER sign up for Cox Cable. I will NOT recommend them to anyone. Thank you. Unhappy non-subscriber. P.S. I have a picture of Cox saying that they unsubscribed me. And they will not bother me anymore. Yet they are still harassing me and sent me to collections. Cox is a bad company.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I paid $100 for the serviçe & installation. Made an appointment for Tuesday. When the day arrived, the guy didn't know how to install because he said he couldn't find the wire. However, I installed the service my self when I was Verizon. They only shipped the equipment and I was the one who installed. So how couldn't that dumb ** not do it? He called to his office and offered to come within 7 days, I told him I wanted to cancel the whole thing and I wanted the money back. He left without even saying anything.

When I called to customer service to know when I was getting my money back, they hung up on me. Overall, I called 5-7 times just to get someone to really talk to me. They promised to call me back the next day and they didn't. I called again and they told I was scheduled that day at 7 which I didn't even rescheduled. I gave them one more chance and said I was okay with that, they could come & they said the only day they have available was until next week... LIKEEE WHATTT? You just told me I was rescheduled for today... THAT COMPANY IS A JOKE.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I called Cox to discontinue Contour. I spoke with Josh. I was told that by adding Contour TV App, I would have a discounted rate on my bill. I also would have HBO, Starz, and Showtime if I downloaded their apps as well and entered in my Cox username and password. I downloaded that app and have local TV’s shows on my iPad/phone. None of the other apps worked. I called and was told that was incorrect information. Not a big deal as I have several other movie apps. Looking over my bill I see that I have now been downgraded to slower speeds which I didn't agree to.

I called to get back to my faster internet I had before and now I’m told that package is no longer available. I will have to pay $20 more per month to increase my package. The Retention Dept. said sorry, nothing they can do. He said that everything was explained to me according to Josh’s notes. Apparently, I am unable to speak to Josh to discuss this unless I call in randomly and he answers. The retention department then said to keep the cheaper plan and go buy a better router. Great! So in essence I now have slower speeds and have to spend $130.00 in order to get what I had before. Ridiculous!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Called Cox Cable 12/7/17. Said mail or go pick up boxes. I went picked up from Cox store Charleston & Rainbow. Reps Mary & Freebies said just plug in wall. Found out no cable thru Christine. No cable on since 5/17. SAID send out technician put hole in wall blk cable cord. Vendor Co. name Prince 12/11/17. Tech Abell ** cable on 1 TV hooked up other. LEFT for Dr. Appoint. Came home. Turned on. No signal. I called Cox for next 5 days. Sent another tech. He asked me what guy did you hear used blk cord. They don't use them. He left. Didn't come back.

I call Cox. Gave me Sales technicians. 11 different ones promised. Send another guy but kept putting me on hold. 5,10,20,30 mins then hang up for 2 hrs until I got tired & mad. Decided to call channel contact 13 news tomorrow 12/13/17 @11 am. Win accept calls. I'm scared. Have both debit card numbers my social security number. Is this something fraudulent behavior or other people experience. This some needs to FCC or reporters investigate. We are both older women inviting strangers into your house makes anyone nervous. Also with your info???

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

On my second contour cable box now and the picture quality changes from great to lousy constantly. I only had two Motorola cable boxes in 10 years prior and never had this problem until they started to go bad. Getting sick and tired of it and will look at other options next year. Yeah I've had the contour box refreshed several times and also checked all of my connections.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I got a new BUNDLE package for TV+Internet and Phone calling and was paying 124 USD in the month of August 2017 (Account # **). I was told unlimited overseas calling by the sales team as part of this BUNDLE Package. After 2 months of usage (Please note not the first or second month):I received around 350 USD charges to make calls for country Kenya. The reason which was told to me was interesting: I was told that I was saving 2 Dollar less than another BUNDLE package hence this country was NOT free. I said ok revise my plan and I started paying 126.62 USD. Despite several followups and tickets raised the charges never got reversed. Today on 12/11 finally I ordered for cancellation. My FEEDBACK: This BUNDLE package is having lot of hidden things which salesperson will never tell you. Please AVOID COX or be double careful while purchasing any Bundle plan.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Cox needs to step up their game. I get OUTAGE EVERY WEEK! And I’m so tire of Cox always having outage every week!! And no they’re not 1 hour or 2 hour long. They are 3 hours!!! Like are you serious? I didn’t pay $$$ bucks for a damn outage every week. You only have one job!! Do it right!! I don’t understand why there is ALWAYS an outage every week!!! I’m about to cancel Cox if they wanna continue doing this.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have had Cox for over 10 years and in those 10 years I have had my bill go from 89/month to 161/month without adding any services. About a 6 months ago I dropped my TV package, which lowered my bill to 78/month but just last month I received a notice that since I don't bundle multiple services there was going to be a $5 fee added to my bill... so since I don't pay Cox enough already they decided to add a fee. This company is ridiculous and is a perfect example of a monopoly! I'm getting ever closer to sucking it up and switching to the ** DSL alternative just to avoid giving more money to this horrible company!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

In 7 years time our bill has gone from a $100 to $300 for basic internet and cable. That is nothing special, customer service sucks, a greedy corporate company that doesn't care about keeping customers.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I was moving to Virginia, and the recommended cable provider was COX. On November 17th (two weeks in advance) I scheduled an installation. The Cox technician was scheduled to arrive on Monday 8:00 am November 27th. The technician arrived, attached a device, messed around with the wires for a few minutes and claimed he could not get a signal and he would get another technician. He stayed while we scheduled the technician for the next day, Tuesday afternoon, November 28th. Tuesday came and went, with no technician.

I called Wednesday, and they said, "Sorry, we couldn't make it, we rescheduled you for the following week, NEXT Wednesday December 6th". I said that was unacceptable, and they rescheduled it two days later, Friday December 1st 8:00 am. It is now Friday at Noon, and the dispatcher tells me that the technician was at our residence at 8:15 am and there was no answer at the door and no one answered the phone. This is unbelievable. I was sitting in the front room by the front door, the doorbell works and my phone works. No one ever came. I have been home all week waiting for these guys to show up, and the dispatcher didn't care and said he couldn't make another appointment until the following week. If this is how potential customers are treated, I can only imagine how bad service is for paying customers.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I am in the process of moving out of state and called Cox to disconnect service. To my dismay, I was told that I owed back two modems. The first one I've been using. The second one is from six years ago when I lived in an entirely different city. Not only is the modem 6 years old, but they are charging me $122 for an equipment fee. My question is why didn't the tech take it when he replaced it? Or maybe he did and didn't return it. I have no idea what happened with this modem. I can't remember what happened 6 months ago, let alone 6 years. Customer service would NOT allow me to speak to a supervisor. Why wasn't I sent a reminder? They sure enjoy sending me non-stop mail at least once a week trying to get me to buy further services. This doesn't seem fair to me to charge that much for an obsolete modem that is probably worth about $20-$30 tops. There should be a time period where this type of thing is written off.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I was a Verizon customer and was dissatisfied with the pricing. I responded to the Cox Bundle promotion of $79.99 for phone, internet, and cable. This package came with one receiver. Since I wanted to connect 2 televisions, I was advised to add another which was an understandable additional charge. The internet connection was sporadic for the first week. They came and repaired the problem. When I asked for some compensation for not being able to consistently use the internet for 1 week I was awarded with free HBO for 3 months. Here is where the problems began. My next bill had a charge for HBO which was of course paid by their auto pay bill payment service. Once I had the HBO removed, I lost the $79.99 promotional rate. My monthly bill was then $145.88.

I tried to reinstate the original agreement but was denied since I made a change to my account. After several additional months of dealing with the pain of being taken advantage of, I reluctantly returned to Verizon. Although the savings were minimal with Cox, I will no longer patronize any business that refuse to put the customer (me) first. When more consumers protest with their dollars, we will get companies to respect our power.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Had Cox Cable for two months and experienced poor service. In this time two remotes and two receiving units have been replaced over the two month period. Today our service has been inoperable. No TV reception. Best response I could receive is they would visit tomorrow afternoon between 1-3PM. We are considering going with DirecTV.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

They skyrocketed prices, we lowered our speed from 50Mbs to 15Mbs to keep paying the same money. Since that change we have a real speed of 1.4Mbs. We have a 97℅ slower connection now which is also 90℅ slower than what we pay for! This is a greed infested company that does abuse their monopoly in my area.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.cox.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use