Cox Cable
2.95/5
Based on 1,139 ratings submitted in the last year

Cox Cable

1224 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have Cox internet only I pay for 300/30 speed I never have buffering watching Fubotv. My bill is always correct. I have read other reviews people stating Cox is slow probably are poor people who cannot afford 300/30 speed and they probably use a Dell. I use my Apple MacBook Pro. Cox is great. Now if you want no buffering dont be poor. Pay for 300/30 speed and purchase a device that can achieve 300/30 speed. A lot of devices cannot. ALSO make sure your connected to the 5g not the 2g. The router modem has both signals. The 5g is the fastest but you need a device that can handle 5g.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Recently, my roommate and I left for vacation and we turned our internet level down. When we got back we went through 2 different people before we got someone that could actually help us with our troubles. We were unable to connect to the wifi, but when we talked to Emmanuel we dived right in resetting the modem for us which the other person did not do. They just told us they would send a signal and if that didn't work to call customer service. Emmanuel helped us solve our internet problem and made us laugh at that!

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Our research of various providers found that COX has the best cost, reliability, service, programs and voice activated program selection. Their follow up service is exceptional and leaves nothing to guess for customers. Without a doubt COX has been the best overall reliable provider that we have ever had. No hidden agenda, prices or guesswork as to future programs and costs.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Cox Communications (Cable) is the only highspeed Internet provider in the Las Vegas Metro area and their Cable TV runs off Comcast’s Xfinity fiber optics platform - “the top rated in the US!” Cox’s, also has voice activated remote controls. Moreover—like Comcast’s Xfinity—you can watch TV anywhere with Cox’s “Contour” mobile app for smartphones, laptops, PCs, and iPads, etc. In addition, you can bundle cable TV, home phone, and Internet (or) switch out the home phone for Cox’s home security and bundle (home security, Internet, and cable TV).

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

The first line staff is good to work with, but it is clear they have policies and guidelines that prevent them from offering good choices to customers. Also pricing is high as there are no good alternate choices, especially when it comes to high speed internet. I am finding that over the air TV is a real good option and will save a lot of money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: May 10, 2019

We've had Cox bundle (TV, Internet, & Phone)for almost two years and recently (four months+) have been experiencing service interruptions. Called for service, tech came out and said there was interference on the outside line and had to turn it over to another department. After one week, no change. Started a log and recorded 71 service interruptions (TV, Internet, & Phone) over the next 25 days. Along with this, Cox just raised or Internet rate an additional $40.00 month. So now we're getting bad service and paying extra for it. Called Cox service again, same story as the first time. Called a "Customer Retention Specialist" to see what Cox was willing to do about the bad service along with the rate increase, reply - nothing. Having AT&T services installed today.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I keep having problems. I have gone 2 store got 5 boxes & remotes from store. Techs on phones lots rude. Tell you call office says keep saying you need 2 keep letting numerous of their techs & supervisors or they can't fix the numerous problems. Fragmented pictures or frozen. Demand tv no sound, channels to see or hear. Your call repeats same script. If you don’t agree then they have excuse not honor your payment or exorbitant raises for substandard products. All these review from every state same people we don’t know each other coincidence???? Is this like airlines all big business. They have no responsibility or agencies that will protect or hold them accountable for this. Disrespect 2 senior citizen or intimidation. Only way we can watch tv. No choice must have cable to watch tv. Please respond everyone.

Original review: May 3, 2019

My girlfriend and I recently moved to San Diego and inherited our landlord's Cox account. Dealing with Cox has been a nightmare, and proof that the cable industry is outdated and on its way out. From their outrageous pricing to their absolutely pathetic customer service, you would do well to avoid Cox at all costs. I have never been inspired to write a negative online review until now. You can call them ten times and get ten different pricing quotes, and most likely you will still get billed a different amount than the 10 prices you were quoted. Their "services" are absolute garbage - we are paying $250 a month for an internet and cable bundle that doesn't even include DVR or premium cable channels.

It is 2019 and some industries are ready to die. Cable television services are on their last legs, and the only way for them to survive is to adjust to the times and price their products accordingly. Why would anyone put up with all of the problems that Cox throws your way when you can simply use a streaming service for live TV at a fraction of the cost and no annoying installation? We are also going to use a highly rated local internet company that will be just as fast for less than half the cost of Cox's internet pricing. Please, please, please....Do NOT support this terrible company by continuing to use their products. Do your part today to put Cox out of their misery once and for all. They do the devil's work, and it's about time we put the devil to sleep. Go local, stay local. Bye bye Cox.

Original review: April 29, 2019

The customer service agent I spoke to about my past due bill was Monica. She was unprofessional and extremely rude. Every month my bill goes up and every month I call and get the run around. That is why I left CenturyLink to begin with. Will not be continuing with Cox either!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

Signed up for new cable TV and Internet service on 3/23/19. At time of sign-up and picking up the cable receiver I specifically asked if there would be additional charges beyond the $89.99 that was quoted. The Cox representative stated that the only additional charges would be state/local taxes. At that time I also signed up for "Easy Pay" where payment for service would automatically be made each month. Funds would be automatically withdrawn on the 10th of each month.

The first bill was received on 4/10/19 and was for $119.99, not the $89.99 quoted. An additional $10 was added for the cable receiver, another $10 added for "broadcast surcharge" and another $7 added for "regional sports". None of these charges were mentioned, not even when I asked specifically about additional charges. To make matters worse, the auto pay system apparently didn't work, the first bill due on 4/10 was never taken out.

Now a total of $239.98 is due on 5/10/19 with the usual "delinquent account" warnings. This is a correct amount for 2 months, including additional charges that were tacked on. Calls to customer service provided no answers as to why the auto pay didn't work as advertised, and as to the additional charges, that was was the local store sales rep and "they were sorry for the confusion". There was no confusion, rather a bare faced lie.

Then to be scolded for being delinquent after doing everything require to set up automatic payments, and customer service not able to provide any answers other than "it should have been paid, you are signed up" indicates to me that despite the size of Cox, they are just a bush league, shyster cable company. Unfortunately in the area in which I live, Cox is the only game in town. If you have other options for a TV/phone/Internet provider, I would go with them and avoid the lies and incompetence you'll get from Cox.

Original review: April 28, 2019

TV and Cable off into 2nd day. Everyone repaired except our street per customer service. Per customer service COX won't send repairman to our area until they have more complaints! What??? We are a paid up customer!!! Do we not deserve any respect? NO PER COX CUSTOMER SERVICE! The commercial says COX never goes off. HAHA. BIG FAT LIE! Signed Angry Customer????

Original review: April 25, 2019

A month ago I received a notice that my credit score had mysteriously dropped. It turns out, Cox Cable randomly selected me to pay them $340. I had never heard of this company before. It turns out their collections company had reported to all 3 credit bureaus that I had not paid them and added a random name alias, email contact, and address to my credit reports as well as the $340 charge due. A month passes and the disputes I filed were rejected and even updated. Their collections agency had fraudulently confirmed the debt without researching anything.

I contacted their collections agency and explained. I live in an entirely different state and did not know the person that apparently skipped out on their bill. Failing that, I also contacted Cox directly. I was told by various phone support people the following: I should bother my local police and say my identity had been stolen, based on zero evidence. I should just pay the bill to make it go away. Rudely told that I must be a customer just trying to not pay his bill.

From what I can gather, they failed to have a proper contract with the original person and randomly googled someone with a similar name to pin it on. Your choice is to either pay the bill and restore your credit, or take time from your day to file a possibly false police report about identity theft that never occurred. This is wire fraud and extortion in its purest form, and it is illegal. Their requirement that you locate their delinquent payer or accuse another random stranger of ID theft is absurd. It is not my obligation to locate anyone on their behalf. They are the ones trying to scam me.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I had an appointment scheduled for 8 am to 10 am window, I received a call at 959 am asking for me to wait another hour as technician is running late. I agreed and waited and waited no one showed. When I chatted with customer service the person said he sat in his truck for 45 mins calling me yet I received no call. I told customer service to have him come to my apartment and knock yet no knock. So the employee left and I got no call or any type of communication regarding what the hell was going on.

Now they want me to wait around again tomorrow from 1 pm to 5 pm for another lazy tech to come do his job. Cox fails as an employer and a business. If possible they would get negative stars and an ear worth for wasting my day. Will continue to convince others to avoid Cox and any of their bs services. Worst business I've had to deal with. Oh and forget about our service. You won't be getting it ever.

Original review: April 16, 2019

It has been three (3) years since Cox started screwing things up. Some sort of migration is their excuse. Bottom line, they send you a bill every month, raise the cost every year and the service goes down. This is a company that is defrauding the consumers. They need to be investigated! They keep raising prices regardless of the poor service. Do not use Cox if you don't have to.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Service is expensive for what you get. Cox has a monopoly on most of Phoenix, so I'm not a customer...I'm a hostage of theirs is. I want to have internet access in my home. Internet and streaming lags. Poorly trained agents that give misinformation. There is no sense of customer service/loyalty with Cox. I would choose another provider but unfortunately there is no other choice where I live.

Original review: April 11, 2019

The WORST provider of Internet I've ever experienced. Don't buy into the "Panoramic" mumbo-jumbo. It's a lie. Service is slow even when connected to a wire. WiFi drops anywhere in the house at random times, only way to get it back is to completely reset the modem. I had an issue where internet service stopped. I contacted Cox (on a Friday) was told they were going to send me a modem and was guaranteed to receive it by Tuesday (3 days with no service). It's now Thursday and still no modem. I contacted customer service AGAIN and a modem was not even shipped. If you have Verizon FiOS in your area, go that route. STAY FAR AWAY FROM COX!!! THEY ARE LYING CROOKS.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had 150mb download bandwidth and 15mb upload bandwidth. I finally caved in and upgraded to their 300 down and 30 up but then my Xbox started running like crap, I exchanged the modem and still the same. I did a bandwidth test on the PC's the phones, all great but the two xbox's I have get no more then 3mb upload speed, down is great but up is horrible, it's hard to play games online with such a slow upload. I talk to tech support, they found no issue, I did however find on a forum TONS of people complaining on Cox buffering their Xbox upload speed since October 2018. Lots of them have confirmed other ISPs provide their advertised bandwidth on the Xbox just not Cox. I smell a class action lawsuit, if this is not fixed I will just get two uverse modems and accounts, one for Xbox, one for phones and TVs BOOOM, problem solved. I would be spending the same for both as I am for Cox crappy communication right now.

Original review: April 8, 2019

The customer service is an absolute joke. I was actually wanting to upgrade my service. I was met with RUDE customer service representatives. The gentleman that I first spoke with was WONDERFUL. I would like to get that clear and out. He was VERY helpful and even though it meant that he would not get the commission for the upgrade, he agreed to transfer me to assist me. The gentleman I spoke with afterwards was it for me. I asked about any deals or bundles because I’ve been a loyal customer for 7 years. He transferred me without letting me know and placed me on hold several times before that. I was a little surprised to speak with someone new but it’s happened before. The supervisor I spoke with afterward was much worse. If you are out there in the market to find a better service provider please be very cautious with this company. They absolutely DO NOT CARE about loyalty. We shouldn’t either.

This is comical. Honestly. I came to offer more money and this is the BEST that Cox could provide. I’m getting tired of calling the company and getting the same attitude. If someone is WANTING to pay the company MORE, isn’t it the wiser choice to be polite? This company was amazing in the past. Great customer service, great product. Every company starts off that way in the beginning, it’s true. You win the service and take in the money. I do see that your poor treatment of the customers has hurt the business a bit. I’m not sad to see this happen. Hopefully, they will notice the decline and start working for money again because this kind of laziness is unacceptable. The speed is okay when it works. The customer service left a bad enough taste in my mouth to leave. Check with AT&T. They’re obviously more hungry for the money.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I was a Cox customer for over 20 years. I stayed with them because I didn't have problems. Until the last two years. Account issues, ridiculous cost increases, an inability to solve problems, non-working phone systems (continually cut off), inability to get through to the "loyalty department." I had to leave. The end was almost comically bad. They sent my final bill to the old email address (that left with Cox). I didn't receive the bill until it was from a collection agency -- a nightmarish ending to an already bad ordeal. I don't understand how things could have gone so wrong for them. I will take more action if it ends up on my credit report, but for now, sharing my experience seems to be the best route. I saved thousands of dollars over three years to switch to Verizon.

Original review: April 5, 2019

TL;DR - Take your money elsewhere. Never sign a contract with this company if you can avoid it. Cox Communications is a fraudulent bunch of scam artists who have never had to be held accountable for their looong track record of horrendous customer service and frankly spotty actual service. Fortunately, all we really need now is reliable internet service to make this joke of a company completely obsolete due to the widespread availability of streaming services (and actual true competition within that market).

Meanwhile, things like fiber optic networks are increasingly available in many areas (including mine, so I will never be returning as a Cox customer) which makes cutting the cord very easy to manage. I'd encourage you to do everything you can to look into any reasonable alternatives to Cox for your internet/TV needs. They do not deserve your money. So trust me, cut the cord and let Cox keep their obsolete and rotting infrastructure that they want us to pay so much for.

Their internet signal failed regularly at all 3 of my most recent addresses and needed modem resets or central resets from their end at least every few days. This persisted through several modems and routers as well so hardware was not the issue. The TV service was somewhat more consistent but the ability to use their "On Demand" streaming service was a 50/50 proposition at best. This lack of quality indicates a major deficiency in their infrastructure and data delivery/transfer systems.

Further, their pricing model is designed to extract everything they can from each customer. For example they effectively force you to rent the cable box any TV services beyond what you can get via antenna. And they also install rental modems for internet access without communicating to the client that you don't own that modem (and will therefore be paying for it for years). Obviously if you know what you're doing you can buy your own and decline the use of theirs but many customers aren't aware of that option.

Further, they escalate fees progressively and aggressively year after year (all while you may be locked into a contract which promised one rate but delivers another). They have nothing in place to reward loyal customers - indeed it's just the opposite. "Discounts" are offered to new customers but never existing ones. That said, even those are a trap because the rates you get quoted will expire before your contract does and you'll then be locked into paying substantially higher rates for the duration. Of course they communicate none of that to the customer.

The final straw for me was that we suspended services while doing a renovation of our home. I verified at the time that there was no balance due both over the phone and in person when I returned their equipment. I got a single voicemail from Cox asking that I return the call but this wasn't possible because their automated system basically locked me out and hung up on me since my account was no longer active. At any rate there was no indication of what the call was regarding and I assumed they were simply trying to get me to reactivate my account. I got no notices in the mail. Nothing via email. No further calls (or at least no more messages - I'm a teacher and can't reliably answer my phone during business hours).

At any rate, I had always had my account set up to automatically withdraw/pay my bills from my linked checking account - which apparently ceased when I disconnected without anyone communicating that to me either. It never occurred to me that it was even possible I could owe them anything further after it was twice confirmed I didn't and while they had access to automatic payments regardless.

A couple of months later I get a hit on my credit report from a collections agency. This is the first I've heard of any of it. When I contacted Cox they were completely unapologetic and took absolutely no responsibility. I went about 15 years with them, never missing a payment or even being late on one to their sending collections after me over a small balance that they didn't bill me for. I have no issue paying what I owed, and in fact have done so but for a company called Cox COMMUNICATIONS, they're remarkably bad at it. I'll be taking my business elsewhere and suggest you do the same. Good riddance.

Original review: April 5, 2019

It became a FRAUDULENT company, they were increasing my bill every month, at some point I got 2 bill statements with 2 different amounts, so I went to talk to a manager and he refused to explain step by step what he was charging. They remove channels whenever they want and you keep paying more every month, customer service is terrible and there is no one who you can talk. They advertise one price and they add multiple extra fees so you end up paying much more. Just incredible how this company is still in business. It should be reported to any institution that protects customers.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I recently began using internet services with Cox. With only 5 months of services, Cox has overcharged me 4 times. This means that the customer is paying for services that they are not receiving. In addition, Cox will add a late fee if you pay every 30 days instead of every 20 days. IMO this is FRAUDULENT and Cox needs to be held accountable. Cox will also attach random fees to your account. This company is dangerous and all too willing to RIP Off their customers by any means necessary. Please report them to your state attorney, BBB, FTC, FTA etc. I am waiting to hear about a class action lawsuit against them.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have had Cox for 16 years and will gladly be switching providers at the end of this contract. Like other reviewers, I was quoted a "guaranteed" price for two years; and that price has increased. Cox does not make its fees transparent. My sister, who is my neighbor, recently switched from Cox to AT&T. Her bill is exactly what was quoted - fees included. I will be looking at AT&T, along with other vendors, when switching. Unless you have no other vendor choice, I would advise steering clear of Cox. Not only is the pricing misleading, the customer service is deplorable - some of the worst I've ever experience. One agent accused me of lying when I called after a technician visited my home and told me I had to rewire my house to get unscrambled service. I explained to him during that appointment that I thought the problem was at the street. He disagreed and then canceled my appointment AFTER he was at the house.

I called Cox to discuss the issue and that was when the agent accused of lying. He said he couldn't help me since I had canceled the appointment. (Another tech did end up coming out later in the day; and the problem was at the street.) I later learned, from a colleague whose spouse works for Cox, that technicians frequently cancel completed appointments when they think they will receive a bad review so the survey won't go to the customer. Cox tolerates this behavior. Sign up with Cox only if you you like to be abused by rude agents who mislead with pricing and enjoy paying exorbitant prices for substandard service. States should make cable abide by ethical standards if they which to do business with its citizens.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had Cox four years ago, got screwed around the same way and cancelled; Had no choice but go back since my city has no other competition, and I took their $89.95 bundle...which ended up costing $126.00 ($36 in taxes and fees)!! I added a 2nd TV for another $10 and was told my April bill would be $136; It came in and it was $156. Jerked around for 35 minutes with 2 different people and 'recordings' that are miserable to go through. The loyalty guy tells me that at $156 I'm receiving a 'Discount'!! At first, he told me the difference was in the taxes and fees. Wrong. The difference was in their charging me a base of $109 instead of the agreed $89. We're both on Social Security and watch our money closely. Cox agents just upset the heck out of you with their either deceit or just plain lack of knowledge. If they didn't have a monopoly on my city... I hate this company!

Original review: March 29, 2019

Do not buy their service, poor customer service, they raise your bill without any reason, they always have a promo on your account so they can raise your bill. I disconnected their cable after they raised my bill several times. Now they want to increase my internet bill for no reason, I just disconnected that as well. They deserve Zero stars. Cox needs a real competitor so we can kick them out of business.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Agreed to a package plan 5 months ago for $89. Each month I’ve watched them add fee after fee. To where my bill is up to $139.00. I’ve made no additional purchases. When I called, they couldn’t explain the charges or give a date for any extra purchases. So I told them I wanted to cancel my account, at which point they told me that I had agreed to a 24 month contract and would have to pay a early termination fee of $190. I explained that I had never agreed to any such thing and wanted them to show me where I had. At which point I was told I’d pay it or it’d go against my credit. Very poor customer service and still battling to try to make sure I don’t have to bogus charges. AVOID COX COMMUNICATIONS!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Cox will put you on telephone death hold when you try to lower your bill by removing services. They constantly raise their rates without regard to the customer's best interests. If they had any real competition, they would be out of business quickly. Cox business practices are despicable.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I set up a payment arrangement for my bill for $218. They debit my account for $476.52 without MY permission. I only authorized $218. They are crooks, robbers and thieves. I'm going to report them to the Better Business Bureau. DON'T BUY CABLE.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I will start with the first call made was ordering service. I was on the phone for 1hr & 36min to be told by a CSR "I'm sorry my computer is not letting me finish your order. I will have to cut you but I've saved your info so it will not take so long" only to get transferred to a rep that has no clue on what happened to my info or why I was transferred & that call was another 1hr. I have only had service for 7 days and my Wi-Fi is slow, picture freezing on both TVs, and I didn't get the box & remote I asked for.

Called customer service today. Rep was rude showing no sort of customer care & 26 mins for her to say "I'll transferred to the dept. that can help you with a we box & remote." When I asked why it took almost 30 mins for her to transferred me when I said what the problem was when she answered the phone she hung up on me. Then I call back I hear a rep hold a conversation then she hangs up. I call again. Rep tells me I need to pay $70 for a different box & remote. Asked for a supervisor but get a recording to leave a message. I've left msg before but no return calls and issued 2 numbers to be contacted on. Shame on Cox cable. Teach your reps real customer service skills especially empathy!!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Sometimes deal with rude and not very knowledgeable representative. I speak very politely but yet feel sometimes they are being a smart-** in return towards me. Why? I been polite? And being transfer from one person to another until I finally find someone who can give me the correct answer to my question. No longer a Cox Cable customer :)

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs