Cox Cable

Cox Cable
Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Cox is a digital cable, telecommunications and home automation service provider. Cox offers packages and deals that you can customize based on your needs. Bundle prices start at $89.99 a month.

BOTTOM LINE

Cox offers several cable-only and internet-cable bundle packages suitable for most customers. Costs can get high on bigger bundle packages, but Cox has many attractive introductory offers.

PROS

• Multiple plan options
  • Compatible with streaming apps
  • Bundle cable, internet and home phone

CONS

• Rates often increase after intro period

Top Cox Cable Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Our research of various providers found that COX has the best cost, reliability, service, programs and voice-activated program selection. Their follow up service is exceptional and leaves nothing to guess for customers. Without a doubt COX has been the best overall reliable provider that we have eve

Have had very few TV issues over the 30 years of service. Customer service has been great helping me resolve all issues with most of them being resolved with a reboot. The only issue I have is the cost. At $196 per month, I feel this is very high. I wish they had a discount for seniors and long time

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Cox cable packages

Cox offers several options for cable TV, including cable-only options and plans that bundle cable with internet, home phone and smart home automation. If you’re looking for television service, you can choose between traditional cable TV and Cox Contour, which includes additional integration for streaming apps.

Cox Contour

Cox Contour offers a more robust channel lineup and additional features not included in Cox’s basic TV plans.

With Cox Contour, you can use apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube to stream additional content. You still need to have an account with these services to access the content — the subscriptions are not included in the price of Contour. Contour simply allows you to access the apps from your cable TV connection and standard remote instead of switching to an external app like a Fire Stick or Roku.

Cox Contour subscriptions also include popular channels like ESPN, Discovery, History, A&E, TNT and HGTV.

Cox cable plans

For cable-only plans, customers can choose between the TV starter package or the Cox Contour TV package. All packages include local channels, free HD programming and access to the Contour and TV Everywhere apps.

Cox TV StarterCox Contour TV
Starting cost$25/month$69.99/month
Channels75140+
On-screen apps including Netflix
Voice remote with universal search
Cox TV Starter$25/month75
Cox Contour TV$69.99/month140+

Cox pricing

Prices for Cox Cable start as low as $25 a month but can exceed $200 a month depending on the package you select. Cox offers two basic plans:

• TV Starter is Cox’s basic cable package. It includes around 75 channels and costs $25 a month.
  • Contour TV is Cox’s highly customizable cable package. You can customize it with premium channels, channel packs geared to your specific tastes and DVR recording for up to 24 shows at once. Contour TV starts at $69.99 a month.

Cox cable bundles

If you’re looking to bundle service, you may be able to save some money. Bundle packages start as low as $75 per month and have introductory rates ranging from $75 to $180 per month. Plans can include cable, internet, home phone and home automation.

Cox cable and internet bundles

Bundle CostInternetPhoneHome Automation
Cox Bronze, 140+ channels$109.99Up to 150 MbpsUnlimited long distance
Cox Silver, 170+ channels$129.99Up to 500 MbpsUnlimited long distance
Cox Platinum, 250+ channels$179.99Up to 940 MbpsUnlimited long distance
Bundle Cost$55.98$75.98$135.98$64.99$89.99$159.99$109.99$129.99$179.99
CableContour StreamContour StreamContour StreamCox TV Starter, 75+ channelsCox Bronze, 140+ ChannelsCox Platinum, 250+ channelsCox Bronze, 140+ channelsCox Silver, 170+ channelsCox Platinum, 250+ channels
InternetInternet Essential 50Internet Preferred 150Internet GigablastUp to 10 MbpsUp to 150 MbpsUp to 940 MbpsUp to 150 MbpsUp to 500 MbpsUp to 940 Mbps
PhoneUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distance
Home Automation

Cox Cable FAQ

Is Cox Cable available in my area?
Cox cable is available in Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Virginia.
Does Cox charge late fees?
Yes. If you make a late payment, you are subject to a fee of up to $25.
What premium channels does Cox offer?
Cox’s highest-tier plan offers more than 250 channels. A full list can be found on the company’s website, but popular channels include ESPN, A&E, Discovery, History and HGTV. Cox also has premium movie channels included in some packages, such as HBO, Showtime and Starz.
What are Cox TV bundles?
A bundle is when two or more services are combined into one package for a customer. Cox lets you bundle cable with internet, home phone and/or home automation. Bundling services together often comes at a reduced rate.
Are there ever Cox TV deals?
Cox regularly offers special introductory rates. These special rates usually last for the first 12 months of your service and typically require a contract commitment. Prices can, and usually do, go up after the lock-in rate term expires.

Is Cox Cable good?

Cox is one of the nation’s leading providers of cable and internet. It’s widely available in many states and can be a solid choice for your TV needs. We recommend looking at all the packages available to decide what level of package you truly need or want before signing a contract. Snagging an introductory deal is a great way to get affordable service for a 12-month period, but be aware that this price will change. Don’t be afraid to call and renegotiate your bill after the introductory period has ended.

Cox Cable Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Cable?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Resolution response: Aug. 6, 2020

I finally reached a customer service person with COX. Both the reconnect fee and late charge were reversed. That's good news! Still doesn't excuse the poor customer service and lack of responsiveness from Jeremiah!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Working with our Knights of Columbus COX business account. We had to do a seasonal shutoff due to COVID-19 and being closed. We were told we could hold on to the boxes until we turned cable back on. We did maintain phone and internet. Had a rep call and say boxes needed to be returned, which was different that what we were originally told. We then began receiving a bill for $1125.00 for the 5 boxes we had in our possession and were told we could hold on. I then spoke with Jeremiah from COX at 1-757-222-7632. We agreed that if I turned the boxes back on by July 6th, we would be OK and not owe the $1125.00.

We turned the boxes on and received a $35 electronic reconnect fee, which is ridiculous. Didn't realize it was that difficult for COX to flip a switch!! Also received a $30 late fee - assuming for the boxes?? Cannot reach anyone at COX and Jeremiah is not returning my calls; I've left him several messages. Terrible customer service - not the way a non-profit should be treated! I want the late fee removed and the reconnect fee subtracted from our next bill.

Original review: July 28, 2020

So I return to Florida after a five month contract assignment in Phoenix where I used Cox Cable. I returned my cable box and requested that both my TV and internet service be cancelled at the end of June. In later July Cox charged me $294 whereas my normal monthly cost was around $136. I contact them and they tell me I was charged an additional $190 for "early termination" and this could not be reversed. No one at Cox had ever told me about this fee. And then I find out that they never cancelled my internet service as I had requested. I communicated all this thru their online chat where their representatives were somewhat rude but definitely of very little help. If you can avoid Cox, do it!!

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2020

July 16 2020 I returned my equipment to COX because I finally cut the cord after 14 years. The representative told me I still had two mini boxes on my account that were not returned. I told him I returned those last year when I downgraded my service and I distinctly remember doing so because there was a line when I arrived. He said he would complete a form that would have them look for the mini boxes in their warehouse but if they weren't found I would be charged $57 for each of them. The person I returned the boxes to obviously didn't apply them to my account and now I may be charged $114. Are you kidding me? They are so screwed up I'm no longer surprised by their shortcomings only more furious with their lack of completion. Don't sign up with COX.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Lady name Yvonne was rude, disrespectful and continued to call me ma’am when I’m clearly a man. Did not help resolve matter. This continued to tell me the wrong information and decided not to fix problem. Never use their service. They said they would help people during pandemic and just demanding the payment and pretty much. Yeah right. My explanation on why my bill was not paid.

Original review: July 14, 2020

1. When I signed up, my modem package was "pending" for two weeks, and when I finally called them to inquire what's happening they told me it was some error in their system, and I must come collect it in person. 2. The first two weeks of service I had disconnections every day at the same times, for 5-10 minutes. Looked like planned works or something, but I got no messages about planned outages.

3. Finally, my service just got deactivated one day with no messages or calls. I had to spend three hours going through 5 people in chat and 2 in a call. Apparently there was some mix-up with the previous tenant in the rental house I moved to, who also was a Cox client. What happened, and how, I never learned. But evidently my name is not even in their system, my account number I got in email during registration is not my account number, and how I managed to get a modem with my ID, in person, in the store, they have no idea. All that in the space of less than two months. Never again.

Original review: July 7, 2020

When the internet is working, it's usually going at a fast, steady pace. That's the caveat though... it has to be working. At least 2 to 3 times per week on average, there's no internet. The time before this current 8+hour outage, the internet stopped working on Thursday (4 days ago). After holding on the phone for 22 minutes, I was told a technician would hopefully be at my home Monday to look at the problem. Monday!? Is their bill reduced to reflect the numerous outages? Of course not. That would be ridiculously fair and would indicate a smidgeon of integrity. One never has to worry about being treated in a manner that could reveal that dreaded "I" word (integrity).

Cox appears resolute in its stance against ever working under the veil of honesty, fairness or financial integrity. I suppose when your business is as large as Cox, there's no need to make sure customers get what we pay for. In fact, they seem to only ensure that customers never get what we pay for. It would be the same as ordering a burger, fries and a drink at a fast food restaurant. You pull up to the first window and pay, then you proceed to the next window to receive your order. The woman opens the window and hands you a note that reads: "Dear customer, we're sorry but we do not currently have any food at this location. Please return in 2 days to place your order again, pay again and we'll let you know after paying if we have any food at that time. Thank you, chump. What are you gonna do about it anyway? Sincerely, Youm E. Nottintous"

Original review: June 26, 2020

They tried to upgrade me to a higher plan and threatened they will charge me 100 a visit to fix the service. They couldnt explain why I'm only getting 9.1 down and I'm paying for the 150 down plan, just said to get faster service or send a tech out at 100 a visit to fix the problem. Absolute rip off company.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I have been with Cox for over 25 years, as I was being lazy and stupid. Do not go with Cox in terms of Cable/ internet. Sorry to tell the review writer who got the $89.99 for cable and internet, I got that one, a year ago, now it is up to $189, all I did was add one TV. I moved last year so I got a lower rate, but if you are loyal to this company, you will be paying a lot of money. I have Cable and internet. With every thing going on, it is not affordable, but Cox will suck you dry. A lot my colleagues are leaving Cox, I guess I will have too. If you sign up, read the fine prints as I did not, so I can not change any thing for another year. They said I agreed on a contract that I don't recall. Just be very careful with Cox.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I'm not going into specifics. Get rid of TV service. You'll save a lot of money and have a much more awesome selection to watch by streaming (you will need to set up non wifi by using an ethernet connection). Just keep internet service and you can stream Hulu with access to tv, movies-add Disney& Espn bundle, Netflix-must pay $9.99 a month and many other services you won't pay for. You may need to set up your own modem router since you may be paying for theirs on a monthly basis. Good luck and enjoy 100's of shows you're missing out on by using Cox. I Love it and am saving over $110. a month.

John L

Original review: June 16, 2020

I’ve had Cox cable/internet since college (15+ years). I realized it was more expensive than other providers but there was initially convenience and familiarity each time I moved so I stuck around. Over the past few years, cost and needing repair services has increased considerably. I was frustrated but talked myself into staying with Cox.

Recently (9 days ago), my cable service was interrupted and the initial repairman was unable to fix it (5 days after it stopped working). I was given an “expedited, high priority” ticket number and was told later that day the guy nearby would come to fix it even if I was gone. That was 4 days ago. Each day I’ve called to ask where we were at/when is a tech coming/why hasn’t anyone contacted me etc. Each time I was given bland, ambiguous responses and apparently no one knows anything about anything even with a ticket number. When I called today the representative said he didn’t show anyone scheduled to help me. I asked why no one had conceded that and fixed it days ago when I called in and he didn’t know.

I asked for the loyalty department and explained my frustration. The loyalty representative was hardly present and once again had no idea what I should expect. I told him I don’t need an appointment from him - I needed him to convince me to stay as customer paying 270$/month after getting pushed around, ignored, avoided, and insulted. I said if you don’t want to do that please transfer me to a supervisor or someone that will... he said okay and hung up. I called back and was disconnected again. Pretty awful. There are so many ways to get television services and it’s time I will be exploring them.

Cox Cable Company Information