Cox Cable
1.32/5

Cox Cable

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1137 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This company has been a nightmare to deal with. For years I only kept the internet service which was fine for good reason because they have always been horrible but was happy at the internet service I was receiving. The moment I upgraded it went smoothly. I got a decent bundle. Great price. They honored it. Then I had to move. They kept my same service agreement and waived the installation fees.

This is where all hell broke loose. My bill went from $200 to $1000 then to $800. 3 months it takes them to fix my account at the same time unable to get the appropriate department to fix it. Instead I’m put through a gauntlet of inept untrained reps, clueless “supervisor” who have no clue about their products or services.

Their customer service is so poor a supervisor is always busy. The worst customer service reps ever who have no clue what their services are or what they provide. They are clueless robots who brow beat you with scripted responses and insincere apologies then when it gets too out their depth they hang up on you and you get put through the gauntlet again or worse put you in hold limbo. The worst company and customer service ever.

I’m filing a FCC complaint and contacting a lawyer. Based on all these poor responses there should be a class action suit on this company for unethical fees and charges. They sell you movies, digital copy movies at the same rate as Apple Or Amazon. Only you don’t really own the movies you supposedly purchase. What they don’t tell you or warn you about is that once you don’t have Cox service you don’t have access to the movies you purchased and supposedly own!!! God forbid you're relocated or move to an area that Cox doesn’t have service. Well they took your money and the movies you purchased. That’s fraud. They make the customer think they were sold something they really weren’t. This is the worst company ever.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Today at 20:20. Currently the internet charges for my account total at $109.98 per month. 100mb download speed, modem rental and unlimited data. The EXACT same service from Spectrum (a few miles from my service address) the EXACT same services cost a total of $44.99. Next year when my introductory rate increases to the standard rates my charges will go up to $144.98 per month. A difference of $99.99 and TRIPLE the cost of the nearest competitor. Additionally, Cox requires a 2 year contract in order to receive the discount. Spectrum requires no contract, has no additional charges for modem rental and no additional charges for data caps. That is in no way providing service comparable to that provided by competitors. Data caps have been imposed merely as a means of increasing profit margins in an industry that currently exceeds even the most greedy of corporate excesses.

I am requesting that I be provided with the contact information for the franchise authority in my area. I intend to contact my senators and representatives in both federal and state governments and urge that cable and internet providers be regulated as public utilities. I intend to state my case to the franchise authority and request that the Cox franchise be revoked in favor of another provider. I am considering a lawsuit for price gouging. I have contacted Cox directly, and the response was "this is what you signed up for." You have finally acquired the enmity of an educated consumer. Fix it or face it. Your decision.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Absolute Nightmare! The incompetence is baffling! The tech came to the house we're moving into AFTER it started raining so he can't work. Gets rescheduled for 4 days later, I call on the day, CANCELED w/ NO EXPLANATION! They have no idea why it was canceled and we're now stuck for 2 more days without service!! Lose now, 3 days of work, plus I had to pay rent at the house we're moving from for 2 more days to be sure we're not stranded w/o services and we are going to be ANYWAY!!! I am so fed up with the ignorance of these people!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have been with Cox since 2005 for internet, phone and TV. They continually raise the rates without improving service. At the suggestion of one of their resolution agents last year, I took 3 of my tvs off the system to try and get my bill back to a reasonable rate. They quoted me one rate and then when the bill came it was a higher rate. After talking with a retention supervisor, my rate was slightly reduced. The retention supervisor also informed me that I would need to call back this December to get the promotion discounts reapplied and that it would be no problem. My rate would remain at $165.30. When I called back this December, I was told my bill was going to increase to $183.15 instead. I asked for this to be escalated to a retention manager since that is clearly not what I was informed by their retention supervisor.

I was told to call Cox corporate in Atlanta. I did this on the 7th. I provided Cox corporate with all the details including each agent, and supervisor's name and ID, date and time of conversations, and what I was promised. Cox corporate was very professional and told me she would call the Executive Retention Team here in Las Vegas as soon as she hung up with me. She said they will get back to me to hopefully resolve the issue and retain me. I have not heard back from the Executive Retention Team and noticed that my bill changed today without any notification to $212.47! A $47.17 increase per month, or $566.04 per year with no change in my service. It is very frustrating to get mislead/lied to by Cox retention supervisors. Obviously Cox doesn't see the value in retaining long time loyal customers.

Cox response, was not to call me as they said they would. I filed a BBB complaint, and Cox in their response had the audacity of stating that "It is always our goal to provide our customers with exemplary customer service. As a customer service oriented company, we know that our success largely depends on our customers' perception of our employees, as well as our company. Upon review of our customer's account, it has been determined at this time our customer currently has the best available discounts." This in spite of the fact that their own Customer Retention Supervisor told me I was qualified for and would receive a lower monthly bill than the 29% monthly increase they just hit me with.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Make sure you remove all valuables. Their tech will steal. Cox will not acknowledge the thief or reimburse you. Tech told them he didn't, they said all my complaining more than six months they didn't find anything in his truck. What criminal would have what he stole still on his person?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

This company have worse customers Service ever. Seriously!!! I mean the internet is good you know good but helping customer nahh!!! They're not good. Worst ever! Seriously! They make promises they don't keep. Today it's 3rd time. 3rd time they said they made a form to get my refund but they never made the form. They not planning to give me my money back. They charge me twice for this month and they did not wanna refund the money... You it is okay to keep it for next month monthly payment but then I have other Bills and I have budget. Get it... Budget... Money is tight... Anyways I decided to cancel this service. I can cancel it cuz I don't have any contract with them anymore.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Internet and TV have been experiencing difficulties for 3 weeks. Problem is persisting inside the neighborhood and nothing has been fixed. Multiple techs and the same old story. Company's customer isn’t even in your area so they can’t do anything. Would be my last option if I had a choice!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I called customer service to downgrade the service, they told me they will give me a discount if I keep my current services without modifying anything, later on I found out they change all the services on my account without my consent. I was very disappointed with this business practices, they should be ashamed of themselves for lying to their customers.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Do not do business with them, they are "not loyal" to customers, or their families. I have been with them since 1980. One account until late 2018. I never had a problem with them. Now they are very rude with inexperienced employees. I hope one day a cable company will come out and take all of their business. They talk you into leaving your phone company. Verizon "do not do it" and your security people "ADT" or etc "do not do it". They charge high surcharges and bill in advance. They steal from the consumer. It's really sad.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

COX services in Las Vegas. I really hate this cable company and all of their fees. Worst experience I've ever had and this is why I don't like cable companies. Cox corporate office is in Atlanta which sucks because of the different time zone. Their customer service sucks especially when your operator is laughing in the background to other operators while on the phone with me. None of the supervisors can answer questions as I asked them. It was so frustrating to the point that I am in here crying and upset. I am going to return their equipment and I don't ever want their services again. My bill says one thing but when you call them they give you a higher charge. When they say they will credit your account it never goes on your bill right away. I would never refer anyone to this company. I am very upset and pissed off. I would say more but right now I just want to be done with them. DO NOT GET COX. DO NOT!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Cox Cable is the only available high speed internet provider in my area in Rancho Palos Verdes. We have recently moved there and are trying to connect to the internet. On the appointment date the technician came and found out that there is no cable between the street and the house. He ordered a "bury drop" top pull the cable under the sidewalk. He told us that this will be an expedited order which should take just a couple of days.

It has been more than two weeks ago. I have been calling the Cox dispatch every day to find out why the delay. They keep telling me that the work order has been placed, but it is not scheduled because they are waiting for the permit from the City to start the dig. I called the City myself, and they told me that they don't have any permit requests for my address. I called Cox again, and they told me that there is no way for them to give me the contact information for the company which does the "bury drop". The only think they can do is have someone call me and explain what is happening. Obviously, nobody called me.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Cox Business Internet customer since 2015. Disconnected service after no resolution to billing issues since day 1. Upon moving my home business I was sent over a contract by a slick talking Cox rep who arranged my move of services. And my former service to the old address was never disconnected. My account had been accruing late charges from the address I moved from and I called numerous times to get this remedied. It seemed to be resolved but here comes my bill after moving from Mesa to Chandler in August.

The bill was now over $200/month and after calling them, billing tells me I have late charges attached each month. Which is crazy because I paid the bill in full. Another phone call to Cox and no changes and now I'm told that they have a signed contract agreeing. What? I only moved and asked for services to change address, no new services or changes, just an address change. Beware - Do not move or your bill be totally messed up.

After numerous attempts I finally cancelled all services. Now I receive a bill that states I owe over $6900! After calling them again today, they informed me I owe $525 in actual service charges and over $6400 for cancelling a contract for dissatisfaction. Apparently Cox penalizes customers who do not want to continue being dissatisfied. Please understand it is not the customer service people or billing employees that are the issue. Each person spoke with had their hands tied to what they could do for customers. They explained this is Cox contracts and they do experience many customers having the same issues. Disgusted and Discontent. Will NEVER do business with this corporation again. Bad bad experience Save yourself the frustration and stress and hit to your credit, avoid this company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Cox’s business plan is to get you signed up and then without notification it’ll start charging you a higher rate after a period of time. About a year ago I canceled my Internet, cable, telephone for this reason. I did however request to maintain my email service with them for $10 a month. I recently learned Cox is completely eliminating this customer and not honoring their agreement once again... just another tactic to get unsatisfied customers back that chose to keep the email option should they ever decide to return to Cox. They have once again proven the customer is not their highest priority.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

We have Cox Cable bundle that includes television. The box in our master bedroom got so hot it cracked the box and melted the corner of our TV. The box was replaced same day, but we have been getting the runaround on getting the TV replaced. Every call receives a new excuse with no answers as to how to replace the TV aside from us just buying another one. Claim has been in review for months! Would switch providers if more were available where we live.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Cox loves to bundle products into free promos and then suddenly start charging you retail. Today I called them and ask them when these so-called promos were put in place and when they decided to charge me retail for these channels I've never heard of nor would I have ever signed up for. Cox could not even tell me when the pricing went up or when the promo was placed. They are unethical, dishonest and a bunch of scammers.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

This review has been a year in the making. The first year was fine. Then our bill doubled overnight. Not just a few dollars. DOUBLED. It has continued to go up. When I call there are no lower packages for us. I was put in package prison and they came by once a month to ** me. When I called to cancel suddenly they CAN lower the rates a little bit. I still want away from this company, so I said no. I wanted to cancel it effective one week. Now they can only cancel it immediately. So I said I will call back Monday. He argued with me! Said it WOULD be canceled immediately. No supervisors were taking calls. Managers never take calls. I HATE COX! I can't get away from them fast enough.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Cox is probably the most unethical company I have ever dealt with. I have been financially ** for over a year under the threat of increasing my rates even more if I change anything on my account. Every effort to be civil with them was returned with arrogance and manipulation. I'm done with threats, I'm done with package leveraging, and I'm done with Cox. Try literally every other option before allowing them to abuse you.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was a customer in Phoenix, AZ of Cox off and on for a few years. First, I started with internet only. First off, I didn't know internet services was not unlimited and anything used over your plan you were charged $10.00 per block (ridiculous). When I finally realized this was happening, I called to see what I can do to avoid this expensive overcharge. I was advised to change to unlimited internet and was upselled to include cable. I was promised to have the service fee and the installation fee waived. The fees weren't waived and I end up having to call to have fees waived but the rep. claim to not see the fee waiver notes and wouldn't waive them. Finally they agreed to credit the account for what was promised.

My other concern, I contacted Cox on the 7th and set up a promise to pay payment arrangement for the 17th and was told my services were not be in danger of cutoff because of the arrangement. Well it was all a LIE. The services were cut off on the 14th and when I contacted Cox on the 14th to ask why this had happened, when I had made arrangements, they told me there was no trace of the conversation on the 7th or the promise to pay. I asked what I should do and was informed to make the payment and services were to be restored. I confirmed with the agent no promise to pay was ever set up for the 17th and agreed to make the payment on the 14th.

Services were reinstated as informed but Cox still want ahead and tried to take the payment on the 17th, that they told me was never set up. The returned payment on the 17th caused them to put a block on my account where I can only make cash payment and disconnected my services. I called and spoke with numerous reps at Cox who pretty much told me it was their mistake for not seeing the payment on the 17th but they can't remove the block and in order to restore services I would have to make the payment in full and in cash (I was due 1 payment and the other payment wasn't due until the 4th of following month) and that would be the current months payment plus the payment due the 4th of next month (really!?!).

They also informed me I will have to pay reinstatement fees. They informed me my services would have not been disconnected if the 17th payment wouldn't have been returned. My concern, the return payment wouldn't have happened if Cox wouldn't have lied and told me there was no payment in the system for the 17th and prompted me to pay on the 14th instead. I was stuck with no services and no way to set up a promise to pay and needed to come up with money to make 2 payments at once and one of those payments weren't due until the 4th of the following month.

Cox is a inconsiderate, unapologetic, inconsistent, unprofessional, untrustworthy, misleading, dishonest and above all, one big corporate scam artist. A piece of advice for you Cox; don't say and promise one thing but do another and then not offer a resolution to rectify. YOUR WORD SHOULD BE YOUR BOND. SHAME ON YOU. I will be trying to break the contract and leaving Cox to never return.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I wish I had read more reviews before I signed in with this company. When I called to ask for the detail of their services, I was very specific in terms of which channels I want, which is Disney Junior for my son. But after everything is set up, money been paid, I realized that there isn't that Channel. So I called again, the first time I was put on hold for over 45 mins then I gave up because I have better things to do than calling COX! The second time finally someone answered but came with a very inconsiderate and rude person. It's like they don't give a ** about your problem, never made an apology! Even the manager was rude, such a horrible experience. I am going to find some other alternatives, I hope they start to train their staff to learn to treat customers with respect!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I called to tell them their prices are too high and I need to eliminate some services so I could reduce my monthly bill. They told me I had a bundle and my price would increase by $100 if I changed anything. I was a customer for 24 years. No customer service. Just trying to rip people off. I will be changing providers. Stay away from Cox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I had Comcast in Colorado (same company) and it was a good experience. I moved to Arizona and decided to get Cox. Huge mistake! I signed up in a store and signed a 24-month agreement (an actual physical contract, with signatures of mine and the Cox representative with all the details printed and/or penned in ink, then entered into the computer, and kept my signed agreement) with Cox, locking in my rate of $130 for 24-months. My service started 11/01/2017. Everything was fine until I transferred my service. I moved to a new house and scheduled my transfer of service for 9/20/2018; they came out, made sure everything was good. Good to go. No bill ever arrived. No emails. My access to my online account was gone. Six weeks of absolute hell going back and forth with Cox. The representative deleted my account instead of doing a transfer of service. Accidents happen, let’s get this fixed.

I had to constantly call and remind them to do their job and fix my account. Six weeks later, 5 customer service reps, 1 IT rep, and 3 managers later, I finally get it all resolved. I was assured everything was fine, everything has been restored. I got my bill this week and it is for $160. Also, a section of this month's bill says they are raising rates in December by another $25. I call to ask why (I have a 24-month agreement at $130). Customer service said Cox reserves the right to increase rates at any time. I explained that I have a signed contract that says otherwise. She transferred me to Loyalty. The Loyalty representative called me a liar, they have no record of an agreement. I have only been with Cox for two months (since 9/20), my rate should be $275 so $160 is a great deal and I should be grateful. He refused to listen to me, kept speaking over me and constantly interrupting me. I asked to speak to a manager.

The “manager” Cody refused to listen, kept interrupting, telling me the same thing as the previous representatives (I don’t have an agreement, I haven’t been with Cox for a year, they can raise rates at any time, I’m already getting a great deal so he isn’t going to help me). Cody refused to listen, told me this was my problem and I should take it up with the store, refused to help me (literally said he isn’t going to help me), and offered to cancel my service immediately after I paid the balance of this month’s bill $160. I said thanks for nothing and hung up.

Cox refuses to honor their agreements (a contract is binding and now I have to go back to the store to sort this out if I want any resolution). They will not take accountability for their mistakes, and their customer service is absolutely horrible. I’ve already spent 6 weeks of back and forth phone calls, hours on the phone, and now I have to drive and spend more of my valuable time fixing a mistake by Cox that I was told was resolved? I am going to find a new provider and move on. Please do not get Cox!!! It isn’t worth it. And I find it is ridiculously more expensive than other providers in my area. Do yourself a favor, avoid Cox!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We had signed up recently and was told the cost was $180, which is totally absurd itself but it gets worse. I call support today to find out what I'm paying so much money for exactly. I was told that I'm actually saving money because the package would regularly be $354 but I got a deal with $180. I'm stuck with a phone line and phone I never even wanted. I asked to take the phone off and if I did that it would actually cost me more money. I have no premium channels and no they were unable to tell me what channels I have in this $180 plan. IT is basic channels and I was referred to their website like 6 times for every question asked. I am going to be cancelling my plan with this horrible company. I have never experienced such horrible customer service and just service in general. This should be illegal what they are doing; robbing customers for limited services that barely function.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

ALL premium channels with Spectrum, landline plus high-speed internet...$157/month. Cox...$250/month w/ only HBO and their sports package to get SDSU games. With Spectrum I received all sports channels without a frigging extra charge! It’s a California monopoly. I frigging hate Cox! Greedy frigwads. $100 more for many fewer premiums. Customer loyalty...3+ decades. Sure thing. I’ll go with AT&T or better yet Charter!??

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Cox is the only supplier in our area Williamsburg VA. We decided to cancel our Cable. We returned our Equipment have the receipts. Equipment was returned to our local offices in Williamsburg. They signed a receipt. This was months ago. Now we are receiving bills and statements from them stating no equipment was returned. We contact the Cox offices they promise to take care of it. We furnish receipt numbers. They cancel the amount then reinstate it the next month so we have to do this again and again. Hours wasted is unbelievable. Now they double the amounts. I wonder how many customers this happens to. POOR SERVICE.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have had Cox for many years. Went to basic TV 2 years ago. Weather channel was included. Two days ago, puff, it was gone! No warning, no "we will need to charge you more for a plan that includes the channel." The management at Cox is pathetic. You have made an adversary of a good customer. Not long until I am on a dish.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Have had COX off and on since 2002. Living in NW Arkansas, we had ZERO competition for cable providers until recently. I HATE COX but... I have all our email accounts (business and personal) tied to their cox.net address. I have tried and tried to find an alternative to COX but to no avail. My latest "complaint" is that they "moved" the WEATHER CHANNEL to a higher tier than we subscribe to with no advance warning. I called CUSTOMER SUPPORT and was told that it is "...not available thru my current package." In other words, TOUGH CRAP MR. CUSTOMER. You will have to PAY for the upgrade to receive the WEATHER CHANNEL. Did I mention that I HATE COX? This is addition to our ongoing issues with emails, outages, and on and on... Oh, by the way I HATE COX!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I originally only wanted to sign on for internet so I did not gut the bundled discount even though I added TV the same day. I was told my price would not go up if I decided to drop TV since I was not given the bundled discount. The tech did a horrible job. The cable ends fell off when I barely moved the cable so I had to buy new cable ends and crimp them on myself. Then the bare bones TV service with one added premium channel went up to nearly $80/month. I asked again if my internet price would go up if I dropped TV and was told no. I dropped TV and my cable price not only went up $10/month, it went down from 150Mbps to 95Mbps (tops). CenturyLink will be installing their 120Mbps service at my home this week for $55/month for life. Cox is such a ripoff. I had Comcast before I moved and they were great. They always offered free upgrades. Cox charges higher prices and downgrades service. They should change their name from Cox to Sux.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

No customer service and charges are through the roof. The homelife equipment is faulty. Even the technicians that come out to "repair" confirm that it is. Then they charge $99.00 to send a technician to disconnect/remove their fault equipment. Worst customer service I have ever experienced along with hidden fees/charges. Also beware of the lengthy contract.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Was paying $71 until August 2018 for my contour flex starter package that included premium channel. End August I decided to add Starz for a promotion of $5.62. Was told bill will come up to $76 instead it came for $79. I continued to pay until I received today the bill in the mail for my 2nd year asking to pay $103.86. They increased internet prices by $5 which I can understand but TV charges has doubled from $17.50 to $43.49. I called and had to explain to three different departments (Cancellation Department, Billing Department and Loyalty Department) beside the original customer service rep that I talked to first. These people have no shame. Basically Showtime was free for one year which I only know about now so I said remove it and Keep Starz. They said, “If we remove Showtime will have to double the price of Starz to $10 instead of $5.42 because that promotion is only in case you have two premium channels.”

So I asked to remove Starz as well. They said the bill still comes up to $81 which they call estimation, in 2 months I have to pay $10 extra on my original price without any premium channels. Why??? The problem every time I ask to be transferred to a manager they put me through to another department. They finally said, ‘Will put you through to the loyalty department because they will make changes that other departments can't do.” All false. They are liars. The cold lady (Account Manager) in loyalty department was the worse of them all. She was like a machine repeating all what the others have said without offering any solution like I was promised. Stay away. I am looking for another service in Fairfax County that can help me better than they did.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I live in large apartment complex with over 100 units and, obviously, many internet users. Cox Communications installed coaxial cable in this complex 30 years ago. Since mid Sept, we have had problems with our internet service and our MagicJack VOIP phone service that we have had for over 9 years. Re internet service, we have trouble connecting or have continual disconnects. Re phone service, we have heavy static on all outgoing calls which we never had before (so that telephone banking prompts don't work and persons that we call either cannot hear anything at all or our conversation fluctuates so that the other party only hears every few words of what we say. Needless to say, they cannot follow our conversation. I ran speed tests on our internet service and results were all over the place including packet loss. Removed and reconnected cables in room where internet is located, but problem continued.

I called Cox to discuss problem and they offered to send a tech at a charge of $75 if problem is not theirs. I booked appointment, but canceled it so that I had time to try to resolve problem without a Cox service call. Changed router channel, had laptop serviced to remove any viruses. While internet connection problem improved, VOIP phone problems continue.

The day after I spoke with Cox Cable, I learned from the complex Maintenance Supervisor that users in other buildings were having internet problems which Cox failed to resolve. These customers work at home and require internet service. So, they called Cox every day about their lack of internet service until Cox fixed it. What happened? Cox re-wired two buildings (4-6 apts. in each building). When the complex rental agent asked Cox to re-wire the entire complex since they have an "exclusive" contract (Satellite or other ISPs are not permitted). Cox refused, saying they only do it on an ad hoc basis. In other words, when Cox deems re-wiring is necessary. I plan to call Cox to reschedule service appointment.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs