Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Cox Cable
2.96/5
Based on 1,275 ratings submitted in the last year

Cox Cable

1257 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 11, 2019

We have been with Cox, always good service. Now another family went with Cox bundle and if it wouldn’t have been for Brian ** the rep. we would cut the cable off. Problem with wireless system, the company couldn’t come for 4-5 days!! He came out, replaced problem, up and running!! Billing needs some help to don’t mind paying for what I get but it was a a bit high. Brian straightened it out, thank goodness!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have Cox internet only I pay for 300/30 speed I never have buffering watching Fubotv. My bill is always correct. I have read other reviews people stating Cox is slow probably are poor people who cannot afford 300/30 speed and they probably use a Dell. I use my Apple MacBook Pro. Cox is great. Now if you want no buffering dont be poor. Pay for 300/30 speed and purchase a device that can achieve 300/30 speed. A lot of devices cannot. ALSO make sure your connected to the 5g not the 2g. The router modem has both signals. The 5g is the fastest but you need a device that can handle 5g.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Recently, my roommate and I left for vacation and we turned our internet level down. When we got back we went through 2 different people before we got someone that could actually help us with our troubles. We were unable to connect to the wifi, but when we talked to Emmanuel we dived right in resetting the modem for us which the other person did not do. They just told us they would send a signal and if that didn't work to call customer service. Emmanuel helped us solve our internet problem and made us laugh at that!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Cox Communications (Cable) is the only highspeed Internet provider in the Las Vegas Metro area and their Cable TV runs off Comcast’s Xfinity fiber optics platform - “the top rated in the US!” Cox’s, also has voice activated remote controls. Moreover—like Comcast’s Xfinity—you can watch TV anywhere with Cox’s “Contour” mobile app for smartphones, laptops, PCs, and iPads, etc. In addition, you can bundle cable TV, home phone, and Internet (or) switch out the home phone for Cox’s home security and bundle (home security, Internet, and cable TV).

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

The first line staff is good to work with, but it is clear they have policies and guidelines that prevent them from offering good choices to customers. Also pricing is high as there are no good alternate choices, especially when it comes to high speed internet. I am finding that over the air TV is a real good option and will save a lot of money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: July 19, 2019

Have been using Cox for several years. Called today to re-activate service on one account, I have two accounts with Cox. Had to call six times. Spoke with 5 different people. Four of them were completely ignorant and rude. Asked each one of them to put a supervisor since they did not know how to re-activate the account. Two did not even know how to pull up the account. One sounded like either she was high on drugs or drunk (with slurred speech). Wouldn't understand anything she was told and none of them will put the supervisor on. Most disgusting service ever. Cox maybe growing but it is losing out on providing service to customers. It took an hour and half of calling to get to a person who was able to do what was needed but as I type this I am still on hold for the last 45 minutes. Shame on cox for this type of service

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have had the same service bundle for over 25 years, and it used to be affordable. The technology has improved but the net effect is not worth the over 3x price. My bill just got bumped another $30 and I got a lot of double talk from them about why I had such a great deal and any reduction in the package would only be more expensive. Their goal is simply to trap customers and extract higher cash flow from them over time. Until 7 years ago I would have given them 5 stars, now 2 stars. Does the price reflect the value? At this point I really feel the price is not worth it, and is probably more connected to increasing executive pay and profits. What is more, is that I can only see this getting worse.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have been Cox client unfortunately for the past decades. I put up with increase and horrible service connection. However, lately they have increased my service from $155 per month to 299.00. This is outrageous. They charge new customers for the same service for $80.00 a month but for their long term client they specially reward them with outrageous price increase, fees and terrible customer service. I spent hours and hours on the phone to be only bounce from one line to another. It is aggravating that you pay and get treated like you owe them money. I will discontinue my service, this is a terrible company and horrible management. Someone needs to do something about this company as they rip off the public with their outrageous high price and terrible service.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have been a customer of Cox for 8+ years and the last year has been nothing but awful customer service, and terrible internet connection. They gave me a credit of $30 because of all the issues I’ve had and then didn’t fix my problem so I went to cancel and they wouldn’t apply my $30 credit to my final bill. Go with another company for any of your internet needs!

Original review: July 16, 2019

I was explaining to the human who finally came on the phone that I was not a slave. I am tired of having to wade through the menus. If Cox wants to get paid, they can call me! It is time for we Americans to quit wasting our time for free. We fought a war over this issue!

Original review: July 13, 2019

This company is so terrible in all areas, that we had to go to our State Attorney General to get resolved. Cox needs to go. Totally a worthless company. Adding costs that wasn't made. Customer service is a total waste of your time. Constant outages. Such an outdated company.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I quit Cox after dealing with them became too frustrating and more expensive than other options. I returned my equipment to the local store, and the clerk said that they no longer used the equipment, so she did not want it. She said that I could just throw it away. Then, guess what! Cox billed me for it! I told them what I was told, and they were "so very, very sorry," but, tough toenails, I still had to pony up the money for the old equipment. Well, I am "so very, very sorry" to write this negative review, but I want people to be aware of that breaking up with Cox Cable is a frustrating, laborious, and expensive proposition.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I've been a loyal customer for 3 decades. I am terminally ill, on SSI (pays rent only) & have children under 18 who need internet for school. I asked if I can downgrade my services I cannot afford the current payment. Britney at Cox said if I cancel even 1 thing they will immediately charge me over 200.00 per service I cancel. Then transfers me to a man in the promotion department to see if I can get a promotion. He immediately told me I was locked in a 2 year contract. And he can't help me with the bill and get me services I can afford. I was disgusted and said I will be dead in 2 years and hung up on the man! I do not understand why they would rather lose me as a customer all together than willing to work with me? It is bad business, shame on Cox Cable.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Updated on 07/09/2019: Tried Cox for a second time, this time in July. The man on the phone promised as install, plus he said it would cost $200 for professional install, he lied, installed a call recorder on my phone. When I told him I was also recording the conversation he hung up, happened twice more.

Original Review: I ordered Cox service the week before Thanksgiving. Family with 3 kids were spending the week. On Mon when install was to happen 8am-2pm they never showed. Got a letter that day at 5pm. Said I needed to pay a $75 deposit and install was cancelled and it would be 10 days before the next available appointment, needless to say that week sucked.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I have unfortunately been a customer of Cox for a little over a year. It has a monopoly over my apartment building so it is the only company that I can use down here. Firstly, I called Cox wanting only Internet. The man I spoke to stated that he was throwing basic cable in ''for free.'' When my first bill came and was more than what I discussed with the first gentleman, I called Cox to talk about my charges. It was told to me that I was not considering taxes and fees of the bundle. I stated that all I wanted was Internet, again for the second time, and that it appeared cheaper than what I was paying. I was then told that internet by itself would be more expensive than the bundle at this point because I ''accepted'' a bundle as a first-time customer.

Now, one year later, my bill increased by 12 dollars per month without warning or notice. I call Cox to discuss this issue and they state that my discounts fall off after a year (not disclosed to me) and that again, Internet by itself would be more expensive. I have never felt more strong-armed into purchasing a product that I did not want. I love my apartment, but I cannot wait to move out of my apartment so that I never have to be a Cox customer ever again.

Original review: July 7, 2019

This is not only a dishonest company but as a user, you will have no recourse. They can make any claim they want and they won't listen to reason. Here's why I say this: I signed a year contract with Cox. I'm a 55 year old man. My wife is about the same age. We use data occasionally but certainly don't sit around binge watching high def streams. In our first month, we used our internet and Cox showed us using about 350 GB of data. It seemed unusually high but far less than the 1 TB limit so I didn't give it another thought. The next month, we did nothing different and suddenly Cox claimed that we used 1812 GB of data and told us that we'd have to pay a fine for overage. They also urged us to shell out an additional $50 to get unlimited data and avoid overage fees. Sound like a scam to you? It did to me. So I decided to investigate.

I looked at the daily usage and couldn't believe my eyes. For about the first 5 days, usage was in the 2-12 GB range. Then it suddenly jumped to 25 GB or more. On one day Cox claimed that we used 192GB in a single day. That's 24 hours of 4k viewing! WHAT?! There's not 24 hour worth of 4k video WORTH viewing. On another occasion, where we did zero streaming for two days - now we'd gone over the 1 TB limit and didn't want an even bigger fine. We did nothing but browse the internet, which uses only MB of data. On those two days, Cox claimed that we used 161 GB and 165 GB of data. That was absolutely impossible!!!

I called to ask about it and to explain how ridiculous those numbers were. The first person said that he would have to escalate it to a level 1 technician. I talked to the level 1 person and she said she'd have to escalate it to a level 2. I talked to the level 2 person - who seemed like he'd rather do anything but talk to another human being - and he just said "that's what our meter says". Uh, yeah, I know Captain Obvious! That was why I was calling. I tried to get him to use his brain and think about the monstrous amount of data that 192 GB is in one day but he refused. He said that he'd have to escalate it to a level 3 person. I never heard back from anyone from Cox and an extra $100 for overage was added when my bill came in.

The crazy data numbers continue. I have a Firewalla box now that monitors usage and I pay close attention to what I use. The result: it does appear that Cox triples my usage. Where my meter says I use .7 GB in a day, Cox will say I used 2GB. If I use 10GB in a day, Cox will say I used 30+ on that same day. Don't trust them. Since the only way to protect myself from them is to get unlimited data for an extra $50 per month and CenturyLink is charging $45 per month for 60Mbps (Cox is 300Mbps but oh well), I'll soon cancel my Cox subscription and pay their fine for early termination. I'll go back to CenturyLink and will NEVER use Cox for the rest of my life!

Original review: July 2, 2019

This is the worst company to deal with!!! I have been unable to access my email for a week now and nobody seems to want to fix it. They told me that they don't know what is wrong. That's the last I heard from them. Tomorrow I'm going to see my attorney and see what can be done.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I place an arrangement/extension on the account via web for 07/04/2019 of $250. I needed the extension to on a different date with a different amount. I was not past due. When I contacted Cox to re-enter my extension to where I would not get an NSF with my bank they denied to cancel or re-enter it. Not very happy with Cox. Always having issue with them.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I moved in and had heard Cox was a bad service. Found out it's the only service in my area. Got it set up and it worked great almost a week. Since then it randomly loses signal about all afternoon every day! It is ridiculous. I've had other internet providers and never once lost signal. Cox is hands down the worst internet on the planet. I really want my money back! If I could it would get a negative star rating!

Original review: June 24, 2019

On June 12th I had to make an arrangement for my bill in order for me to talk to someone to lower my bill. So I set up the payment using my debit card then that representative transferred me to someone to help lower my bill. Ok that representative credited $15 to my account for something else I never asked for and she told me I was on a good plan and it wasn't nothing else she could offer and so she updated the $15 and told me it made my bill go down. So I guess once she updated it it overrides the 1st agreement causing now the money to come out of the account that was on file and not from my debit card that I 1st set up.

I still paid the 140.00 from my debit card and they have made my account from my bank become negative $35 then bc my paycheck has now hit my account. I'm losing 140.00 again which is ** up bc I never authorized it and I've ask for my phone conversation to be pulled and reviewed bc that wasn't my fault. It was Cox. I've also contacted my local news but they informed me they don't handle stories about community affairs. I just want one of my 140.00 payments bc I have kids to feed and doing the best I can with making payments and arrangements. I'm pissed ???? and want to speak to the top people at Cox communication. I want my money back.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I have been a long-time Cox customer, and my prices kept going up up up. I tried calling them several times to see if we could work out any kind of a deal and they shut me down. Moved to CenturyLink. Price for life and now have great service at 1/4 the price.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I called the San Diego office of Cox. I went through the following process: 1) I had to answer numerous security questions. 2) I explained that my mother recently passed away. 3) She has a Cox account that automatically bills her credit card. We would like to keep that account open, without any service interruption, because she has a renter at that location in La Mesa. 4) However, we are closing her credit card, so I would like to take over payments. I want to give you my credit card so you can bill me instead.

5) I live in Colorado. Coming to a Cox center is unfeasible. I can send a scanned copy of the certificate via email – which was adequate for Amazon, United, AA, a few credit cards, and several other companies where I also had to resolve accounts or bills after my Mom’s death. 6) I asked if they can provide an email address or other direct way to communicate with someone who can help, because I don’t want to keep going through security checks and explaining the same thing over and over. I was told that the solution is easy. Just bring her death certificate to any of our Cox offices and we can help you. I repeated: I live in Colorado, nowhere near any Cox center. The Cox agent said she could not help.

SECOND CONTACT: I tried to resolve this via live chat. Once again, I had to explain items 1-6. Especially 6. I was told to contact the San Diego office, but at a different number. THIRD CONTACT: I called that number. I explained 1-6 again. Especially 6. I was told to call sales. FOURTH CONTACT: I called sales as instructed. I explained 1-6 again. Especially 6. I was told they would transfer me to a billing specialist.

FIFTH CONTACT: I explained 1-6 again. Especially 6. The billing specialist said someone from Cox would call me. I explained that I’ll try, but I’m really swamped with work, travel and visiting family. I had four flights last week. I again asked for 6 and was told that’s impossible. I checked phone logs and had spent over 90 minutes on the phone – not including the live chat time – and barely made any progress. SIXTH CONTACT: Cox in Kansas tried to call twice on Thursday, June 20. I was giving a lecture and could not answer. Cox left a voicemail, which was just silence.

SEVENTH CONTACT: I called Cox in Kansas on Friday, June 21. This is the first time I made some progress. I did have to go through the security questions, but only some of items 2-6. I finally was transferred to a polite man who changed the account to my name, SSN, PIN, and security question. He said the account assumption was successful. Wonderful! Then, I just wanted to give him my credit card number, and be done. He said: first, I have to transfer you to tech support and then billing. I said OK. EIGHTH CONTACT: I was transferred to tech support. Yet again, the security questions. After all that, she said: How can I help you? I said: I was transferred to you. I don’t know. Is there a note in my file explaining why? Answer: No. Can you check with whoever transferred me to you? Answer: No. The call took 33 minutes, and still not resolved. That’s when I gave up and decided to write this letter.

THEN: It would have been OK, but I just learned you cut off service to my renter. As per our contract, she gets a $300 credit. Desired solution: Same as always. Especially point 6. Please provide me with an email address or phone number of a supervisor who I can contact to complete this process. I just don’t accept that I must jump through hoops indefinitely to (maybe) fix a pretty straightforward problem. You can try calling me, but I will often be unavailable. Please make sure the service is not interrupted.

THEN: WRITTEN AFTER I JUST LEARNED YOU DISCONNECTED THE SERVICE!!!! Please also provide a service credit of $300. This is not negotiable. If you say no, I will publicize this beyond your imagination and I will most definitely use my Mom’s recent demise, and will also hire an attorney. Go to a supervisor as needed. I’m still coming out way, way behind.

Please also investigate why service was shut off just ONE DAY AFTER I talked to your customer service people over and over again about the problem. They were really apologetic and sympathetic. Then, who cut off service? How was that decision reached? I AM VERY VERY ANGRY!!! I also ask that someone from BBB contact me about this issue. This entity has an A+ rating. I want that lowered and I want everyone to know how Cox screwed over a customer despite knowing his mother just died and that he already had a lot of trouble with you guys.

FOLLOW UP evening of Saturday, June 22: NINTH CONTACT: I called Cox. I provided the new PIN and my SSN and she did not recognize them. She also said there is no phone number associated with the account, so I provided my number. So, what I was told by the seventh contact was not correct. This contact also did not know I’m in Colorado and the modem is in California. So, I had to repeat myself yet again. She transferred me to a supervisor.

TENTH CONTACT: A supervisor named Jackie explained that they could not reactivate my service unless the tenant gets a new modem. She said they should not have disconnected and reconnected the service, and also agreed that at least one of the nine people I talked to so far should have checked the modem issue. She provided some options, all of which inconvenience the tenant, but said there is no other way. I emailed the tenant with this info. So, as of now, after all of this, it’s still not resolved. And, due to mistakes by Cox (which a supervisor acknowledged), the tenant not only has no cable but also has to waste time dealing with the modem issue.

Original review: June 21, 2019

4 things I would like to address: 1. Monopolized Service 2. Price Gouging 3. Data Caps 4. Disregard of Current Consumers.

1. Monopolized Service. Living in Las Vegas (particularly West Summerlin) your options for internet services above 25mbps is limited to only Cox Communications. The lack of competition in this area allows the ISP to dictate prices due to a monopolized control (especially pricing) of the market. (Verified by checking the same service costs in locations in Southern California vs Las Vegas (in Incognito Mode because doing so on your network+account logged-in will disable you to check new customer offers vs service costs in other areas). They must be heavily lobbying against having Google Fiber enter this market, cause God-forbid Las Vegas locals will get to pay "fair market rates" that would be available once competition is actually a thing.

2. Price Gouging. They love to advertise that the "bundle packages" are your best bet to get the best prices on all of your services, but quite honestly you'll get hit with enough random price increases (system errors as I'm told) and miscellaneous fees that you'll recognize you're basically paying upwards of $170+ for what should be a $129.99 package. Also, for them to expect you to pay additional fees so the Las Vegas Golden Knights games can be aired on their services is baffling to me.

3. Data Caps?! So. Faster speeds usually equal better service, right? Well, if you upgrade to a faster connection or increase the speed due to more active connections in your house, you would assume that the "data cap" (which I do not agree with what-so-ever) would increase as well. Think again. The default data cap is set at 1TB regardless of your internet speed. So if you're upgrading your internet speeds to accommodate an increase in performance you should expect to pay an additional amount on top of the increased price for the higher speed/bandwidth service.

Recently, an ISP representative pitched the "Oreo and Internet Service Analogy" to the FCC saying that consumers should not expect better services without paying more money. In a high-level summary the representative tried to argue that the purchasing services is equivalent to buying "upgraded version" of Oreos. Can't expect double stuffed when you're paying for standard, right? Don't know how that Oreo analogy wasn't rejected immediately by the FCC. (Please take the time to read and come up with your own conclusion on this argument). Monopolized services need to be regulated as it is quite detrimental to consumers (enterprise and residential) to allow for price manipulation and money-grabbing tactics on a market that literally has no other options.

4. Disregard of Current Consumers. While I cannot say that the ISP's customer support team is bad, in fact their support team is honestly quite average/above average. Their policies and business practices fail to give any insight on how they value their customers. From my understanding, valuing your customers should fall in line with offering benefits/value-adds to long time customers to maintain a life-line of supportive consumers instead of adding random price increases, only allowing advertised pricing specials to new consumers, and data caps.

All in all, I do appreciate that some of the customer support agents are actually receptive to these concerns. The speeds offered by Cox are indeed great and and their services can be so much better if they catered to the Las Vegas market in a more meaningful/less under-handed way. They work diligently to ensure that there are not too many outages and the front-line employees do what they can to resolve situations, but it is absolutely mind-blowing to me that some of these practices are in effect. I mean... Come on. If you're paying for Gigablast you're obviously going to be using more data so increase the data cap or remove it for people paying for the highest tier of internet speeds...

Original review: June 12, 2019

I am paying almost $100 for the cable and when I called they told me that they would come on June 6 to install the cable and it turns out that they came until today June 12 but it's fine, I did not bother that. What bothers me is that when I chose my package, the guy told me that the package I chose had Spanish channels and the cartoons came in English, it seemed perfect but it turns out that I only have 2 channels of cartoons in Spanish, this if not I liked the worst experience with Cox.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Cox changed their cables in our area area and send a TV notice that all area receivers are retired and that we need to update our equipment free. We contacted them asking for the updated equipment last week. An appointment was made for 5:00 PM June 11. I drove 40 miles to be sure I am home. The service young man comes with a grin on his face stating that Cox ran out of equipment due to the high demand!!! He offered us to get the more sophisticated equipment immediately for an extra charge or wait indefinitely until it becomes available again!

I countered by asking, since it was their fault not to have the free ones available if he would temporary loan us the higher end other equipment until the other ones become available. The young guy goes to the car to check with his manager. The guy after contacting his manager just drives away. One thing is to not be prepared and offer prompt service but to be rude and drive away is something unbelievable.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Glad to be dropping them. Expensive as heck for mediocre service provided. TV sound went on-off all the time and every month if it wasn't one thing it was another with TV freezing on-and-on. Service was ok but just ok.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Rena ** I know... I've been a customer for a couple of yrs now. Their service is horrible. Constantly losing the Signal/Error messages for TV...Wi-Fi always disconnecting etc. They've been out to "repair" it. What a joke! I pay $20 a month for some Protection Plan. And after taxes, $223 for the Cable & Wi-Fi. Ridiculous!!!! I don't see an option to Review them on their FB Page. They are probably afraid they'd get bad reviews!! They really do suck!!!!

Original review: June 2, 2019

I have to say Cox is an horrible company when it come to getting an agent to know what they doing when it come to your account. The supervisor are no better and they are a rip off!! You pay all this money every month for sorry customer service. I will be leaving them soon. It’s just not worth the money.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Cox is just another Monopoly running unregulated. In Las Vegas you have no other options. Every year the price increases for service and they put more restrictions on the consumer. When will we see a real class action lawsuit against Cox Communications? This is getting ridiculous. They never compensate me for the 50% of the time I am not receiving the full speed I am paying for. I would like to see them held accountable for their actions.

Original review: May 28, 2019

It's amazing that this technology company has the ability for you to go online to your account and add additional services but you have to call and speak to an agent to suspend service. I waited over 10 minutes. When I had service turned on (internet only) I had my own Modem and Had to make a telephone call to have them turn on my service which took about 10 minutes. That 10 minutes costed $75.00. I use to used their equipment but the wait time to return the equipment at a center was anywhere from 20-45 minutes. Seems like Cox should have a better online way to turn off service or put it on vacation hold and equipment return system that would be more convenient for the computer savvy individuals. I always cringe when I have to deal with this company.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs