Cox Cable

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I'm feeling discouraged about continuing service with this company. My installation was set up for 3-5p. Why did the installer call at 430 to state that he didn't have the equipment to do the job. A pm installation and you wait until time to do the installation to say, "I don't have the equipment." If this is the way Cox does business I'm going to rethink my services and go elsewhere. With the multiple excuses I received within 15 mins. man... Cox SUCKS.

Cox is way too expensive. Very unsatisfied. Have been a loyal customer many yrs. Recently called to see about getting bill lowered and would not. The prices of tv and internet are outrageous. Will be looking around for better service with someone else.

We have had Cox going on four years now, I have had Comcast, Bresnan and Sat and Cox is by far the worst there is. We just upgraded to the contour 2 box and service and that's a joke with them, Comcast has their stuff together but not Cox. When they first came out to hook it up everything was OK for a little while, we had 2 contour, 2 dvr boxes and one client box (we record a lot). Our bill has been over 300 a month so we decided to cut back a little and try to get under 200. Well to do that we had to remove 2 boxes and only keep the 1 contour box, remove all movie channels, only local calls on the home phone (which we don't use just have it because without it our bill would be 40 higher). So basically we have the basic package they have, local home phone and internet (also a joke) and that got the bill to 212 a month. Still more than its worth for mediocre service.

Our tv constantly loses signal, we pay for the 150 mbps internet speeds and we have only ever been able to get 35 to 40 on a good day. 12 techs have been out with no solution. When we got rid of the 2 boxes I took them to the Cox store and the idiot turned off the wrong box so when I got home the box was off. I called to have it reactivated but after 6 transfers they couldn't get it activated again. (Lost all my recordings) Guy came out to replace the box, the one he replaced it with was an old contour 1 box refurbished into a contour 2 box (bs). It lasted not even a week then took a crap (lost even more recordings).

I was told that the reason Cox sucks so bad is because the lack of research and development. Comcast spends millions maybe billions on the technology but Cox takes shortcuts and spends a few hundred thousand to have old technology refurbished. He installed a new box yet again which brings us up to current. Bottom line is don't go with Cox if you have another option. They are a rip off and only care about their bottom line and do not care about their customers. We are about to move so we are cancelled our Cox and going with Directv. We are getting every channel, including all premium channels, internet for 80 a month for 3 months then after that we pay 50 more for the premium channels which is still only 130 a month compared to over 200 and having to cut back from our cable to get to that price. PEOPLE STAY AWAY FROM COX. STAY FAR FAR AWAY. I PROMISE YOU THAT YOU WILL REGRET IT DEEPLY.

Cox Communications is a major Ripoff!!! Its 2017!!! Do they not realize there are plenty other options available? People are getting better deals with no contract, no surcharges, and no ridiculous taxes & bogus ass fees! Basic cable, internet, & phone should not cost us $200 + a month! WARNING: DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH COX!!! BE CAREFUL. If you blink your eyes your bill will quadruple and metamorph into a price that makes no sense at all! I predict by 2020 Cox will be a thing of the past b/c bankruptcy will be their downfall. Cox Communications are CROOKS! We are not paying another penny, nickel, dime or quarter to Cox money hungry asses! Yall have serious issues if you think yall will continue to be successful! Ha! Ha! Cox who? Is what everyone will be saying sooner than you can say Bill due!

This has been the most unbelievable situation in dealing with a major corporation that I've ever had in my 57 years! We were in a major Natural Disaster, and was moving back into our home after losing everything, having coverage on our home, but not the contents. I say this because we were dealing with rebuilding a house and remaking a home, spending nearly our entire savings to refurnish a home. I've been with Cox for over 27 Years. I own my own DVRs (Tivos) but rent my CableCARDs and decoder adapter from COX so as to be able to receive service on my TIVOs and have access to COX On Demand. After moving back into our home we started to set up our electronics, but couldn't get our Cox On Demand to work. Tivo's have an icon for this service, and we use it nearly every night.

I will sum up the 4 weeks of dealing with Cox CableCARD Specialist for hours and hours they would send a tech out. I'd always request No COX Contract Workers, as they Never know how to fix ANY situation, but due to the disaster, we are flooded with them. They were rude, argumentative, going so far as to call and Refuse to come out because 'their' supervisor said Tivo's do NOT get Cox on Demand. Finally I got a good Cox Tech who came out on Jan 13 2017 and informed me that he decided I needed new CableCARDs and Decoders and that he would set it all up and HE would come back on Monday the 16th (Let me interject here that my TV had been sitting on the floor, because we hadn't decided where we were going to mount it, and it's SO big, that it actually covers the front of the credenza that is full of junk that we were actually considering Leaving it in front of the credenza.

This issue really has little to do with the story, as it was sitting there when every Other tech came out and there were no problems with it, and if they Thought it shouldn't be sitting on the floor, then they should Not have touched it (Just a little side point, in case someone wondered why the TV was sitting there)! Anyways, Monday rolls around and I get a call at 10:37 am from a phone with an Arkansas area code (479) (I'm in Louisiana) and the guy on the phone says "Hey your job just got dropped in my lap, because the Cox Tech is tied up at another job. I see in the notes that you do not want another Cox Contract worker coming to your home, but I just finished fixing the same TIVO issue, so if you WANT me to come Fix your problem I can be there between 3 and 5pm." Hesitantly, I accepted his offer. Oh how I wish I never made that decision!

So he called me from a Different Arkansas Cell phone number, at 4:24 telling me that he was at my front door (my doorbell isn't hooked up yet) and I showed him my 60 inch Vizio television and we went through all the channels with him standing and watching it. I showed him the on-demand icon and he saw that it was not working. I also showed him the menu which shows the CableCARD/Decoder id numbers, serial number etcetera and he needed to look at the wires coming into the house. I walked him around the side of my house, through a gate, where the line comes from the 'tap'. He said that there were all sorts of issues with the installation prior to him coming there, that there were too many staples, he said and he just was not happy with the install so he said he needed to go and get something in his truck. So he went around the house in through the gate that he had initially walked through.

I came in through the Bask door and went into my bedroom completely bypassing the living room where the TV was. I heard him enter the home through the front door and I heard a crashing sound and I heard him say **. So I went into the living room where he was standing in front of the TV and I said "What's wrong" and he said "Oh you don't get On Demand and I've already talked to my supervisor." I looked down at the TV and it was cracked and had a huge black bar running vertically with my electric screwdriver pointing to the crack that was causing the big black band!!! I asked him what did he do to my television and he said, nervously, "What do you mean" and I said "You don't see the giant crack in the TV and the black band across the TV and the screwdriver that Obviously fell when you were moving the router and the modem and the decoder around on the credenza!!!" and he said "Oh I thought you did it."

Needless to say, I became a little irate and called Cox at 4:40 PM telling them the story that has unfolded, and then the Contract Worker became irate and said that he was calling his supervisor and I said "That's fine with me!" I was told by the lady that answered the phone and took the information down that she would submit this claim and "Don't worry Cox will take care of this because you have been a loyal customer of Cox for well over 24 years!" Well I only heard from Cox two times once to tell me that the ID number and the name that I had given were not the person that came to my home and I told them that I had no idea who came to my home.

I just was given this ID number from the COX Representative that took down my claim (she Obviously was showing the COX TECH ID that was Supposed to come out, the one that came out on the previous Friday, and had promised to come back on Monday, but was unable to. So this Cox representative on the telephone who said he was a supervisor trying to 'figure out who was sent out to your house on the 16th'!!! I told him that I had the Cox Contract worker's 2 telephone numbers which he used to call me on that day!!! After giving him the 2 phone numbers, I told the supervisor that I did not appreciate the fact that Cox had no idea who they sent to my home that day, and that that seemed very irresponsible. He told me that he would call these numbers and would continue to investigate! He promised to get back with me within 48 hours. He never did.

I called Cox every 48 hours and spoke with supervisors every time, 'escalating' the issue to a higher 'level'! Always being promised that I would hear from someone within 48 hours! Never did! I went into the Cox Store, always being told that I would be contacted within 48 hours, always Shocked and So Sorry that I was going through this and that there was no excuse for it, and that Cox just needed to take care of the problem and reimburse me for the TV! (I even offered to accept a credit to my account, because, needless to say, after 9 Weeks of this, I've gone out and Purchased a Replacement TV)!!! So Finally the local office sent a 'guy' named Chuma out to my house who said "I have no idea why I'm here, but I was just told to come talk to you"! I showed him the picture of the TV, with the electric screwdriver lying on the floor, in front of the TV, pointing to the crack, and the black band that ran vertically up the TV from the crack.

(The TV was still ON) I showed him the actual TV with the crack, I showed him my Verizon Call Log, showing every time I called Verizon, the phone numbers of the TECH and the Times he called, and the phone call I MADE to report the accident TO COX 16 Minutes later! He also saw the call log showing my phone calls TO COX every 48 hours! I showed him the receipt for the TV and he left saying "Look, I can't make the call on this, but from what you've told me and from what you've showed me, I can't Imagine Cox not taking care of this. We are a multi-BILLION dollar corporation, and I can't imagine them not offering to replace your equipment or reimburse you in some way"! Of course, NOTHING!

So I filed a complaint with the Baton Rouge Better Business Bureau, and was given 2 names and phone numbers of supervisors that I could call, one being Leigh **, a man that had been a 'client' of mine and who knew me well enough to know that I am a level headed honest person. He received an email from Cox Corporate office, called me, was Shocked and Appalled at how I had been treated, and said that I would be hearing from the person in charge of dealing with accidents that occur due to Cox negligence. 48 hours later I Finally Got a Call From the Cox Rep in Charge Of dealing with damage that Cox Caused, saying "Sir I am calling about your 'concern' about an incident that occurred at your home, do you have time to talk?" I said, "Yes, Of Course!" He said "Well we just wanted to let you know that we are going to Decline your claim!!!"

I was Shocked (why????). "Why?" I asked. His response? "Well sir, because the Cox Contract worker reported the incident to his supervisor and therefore we are going to decline to replace your $749 television!?!" What the Heck does that mean?? I responded "I reported the incident to the COX Representative 16 minutes after it happened, while the Cox Contract Worker was still in my home! His response? "Well, I understand your concern..." I told him that I was insulted at that statement. It was SO asinine and basically was based on Zero facts and just Cox flippantly deciding to Not reimburse me for the damage done to my property by a Contract worker that I don't even have a Contract With. I have a 'contract' with COX, and they should be supporting and protecting my interest from a secondary company representative that COX sent into my home. He stood his ground.

I told him, truthfully that I have a Small Claims Case form filled out, ready to file with court on Monday, and I have a friend who is an attorney that is willing to represent me in court, to recuperate the cost of the Television that Cox's Contract Worker broke, the Cost Of Court, and the Cost of loss of service to this TV". The Cox Rep said he understood. I hung up! Can you believe this... Yes you can! As you all have had dealings with this company. So why don't I Switch To AT&T??? Because as you all know, they are junk! Everyone I know that switched to AT&T hates them and goes back to COX. Also COX allows the use of TIVO's and AT&T do Not! I have $3,000 tied up in my Tivo's and prefer them to Cox's DVRs! So what do we do? I have no idea. If I win this case, they will probably drop me as a customer! LOL Thanks for reading this. It always feels better to vent!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

I have been with Cox for over 5 years and I feel saddened that it has to come to this point. My bill skyrocketed to normal rate in January and now it's hundreds of dollars behind. I had to call myself to get discounts and adjustments and it's STILL TOO HIGH. I can't even get an extension on my bill. For a customer that has paid on time and this being the 1st time this far behind no one was willing to extend my account because I'm no longer working. I've even called corporate TWICE and they made sure to notate my account to not make an extension, as if I never pay my bill. Calls to Cox to get issues resolved takes hours and several talks with supervisors, and still aren't resolved. I have been lied to on numerous occasions about my bill.

I've attempted to get my bill lowered by cancelling my homelife security but I was told I was on contract but then was told I wasn't on contract. Was told I would be getting a cardboard box to return my cable box (which will not stay powered on) but I had to call Cox because they never submitted the order. Was told a supervisor would call me. He called but I hung up on accident called him right back. He didn't answer. Called cox again and he was gone for the day. They really don't care. On top of billing issues channels break up and the contour remote sucks. The batteries run out every wk because it's touch sensitive and lights up even when you don't use it. I feel like wasting my money. I will be taking my business elsewhere if this is not resolved. I feel very devalued as a customer, and feel cox is not concerned for the customer. Please help.

I kind of feel like the odd-man-out. My experience with Cox has been for over 10 years and I kind of like them. It's not that everyone knows exactly what they are doing. It is that the next person you talk to wants to/tries to help. In the 10 years I've gone from pure analog to mini-digital cable boxes and finally to cable cards. Other than analog, I've had problems with the others. However, they basically seem to want to help, to fix the problem. I guess my most negative review would be that I had a team of technicians in my house trying to figure out why my cable cards didn't work. They kept focusing on my equipment and I tried to explain that the two cable cards I have are tied into 2 separate pieces of equipment.

The problem had to be downstream. After hours of troubleshooting, they figured out that the problem was downstream, replaced the underground cable and all was well. So my only real complaint is that the technicians are following a strict procedural book. It would be nice if they explained to the customer that the "basics" had to be checked before moving on. Kind of frustrating when a person knows they are "barking up the wrong tree".

Horrible company to deal with. We signed up for a 2-year bundle 6 months ago. Then, they rendered our 2 smaller tv's in the bedrooms useless by requiring extra equipment to have them work at an extra charge of course. They have also increased the rates twice in 6 months. Service goes out frequently and half of the Contour features don't even work. Only 1 phone works in the guest bedroom and you cannot hear well. My cell service is better! Will not be renewing! Write letters, called, and filled out their surveys. No one cares.

Be very careful when you sign up for Cox services. The agent, who showed up at my home, omitted a lot of important information. For instance: Unlimited internet is not unlimited. It's 1 TB a month. Then they charge you. Cox does not have a lot of channels that Verizon Fios has. The Cox agent promised to give me international channels as part of my package. But I was billed $70 extra. The phone is VOIP - not a traditional landline as this agent seemed to suggest. Also, their Contour App will not let you play DVR-ed shows on your tablet. So make sure, you research everything before you sign up. I am still mad from all the omissions. Plan to go back to Verizon in a few months. Their customer service sucks, but their internet has a cap of 5 TB a month, better channel selections.

DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS WITH COX!!! They're out to get your money, and that's it. The only thing they're good at is misleading people with the goal of taking your money. I stopped my service a month ago because I moved to an area they don't service but instead they put 'transfer service' in their system. A week after I stopped my service I returned all the equipment to the local Cox office and that's when I found out how sleazy they are. I made sure that they terminated my service and in fact, they told me I will be credited $55 that I will receive in about 4 weeks. It's been a month now. And today, Cox sent me an email saying my auto payment didn't go through.

Well, thankfully, my debit card was stolen, that's why. Otherwise, Cox would've taken my money from me even though I stopped my service a month ago! WHAT THE HELL???!!! I stopped it a month ago and they are still trying to bill me!!! Again, do not conduct business with this sleazy company. They're awful and they suck!!!

First off all my service with COX has been HELL since I started with them. I was told deposit of 67.00 for to start service but I was told 150.00 by a rep once I called with a different issue. Cox has added fees and unknown charges to my account since I started making my bill almost 200.00 each month. I've been on maternity leave and I needed a courtesy of just a few more days to make a payment in full. The agent in collections was so nasty and rude, wasn't customer friendly whatsoever and refused to help and chastised me about not paying my bills in full but making half payments here and there, regardless bill was still being paid. COX is a horrible service I will never use again and I do not recommend. I'll be damned paying 200 a month for basic cable and internet. ** COX. COME GET THIS ** EQUIPMENT.

Cox has been monthly raising rates on every part of our bundle. Now I see that they offer the same things I receive in my so called "bundle" but call it a different bundle name for $40 dollars less and will not let me change to this package. Been with this company 12 years. How dare them? They are a very very Corp. business... "None for all and all for them."

We set up a simple internet service account with Cox in Gainesville, FL. All was good until the end of the promotion, which was NEVER discussed in the account setup discussions. The price per month doubled. We called and were told that everything goes increases in cost like that, so don't worry about it, it is normal. We also were told that we could not qualify for another promotion because we were existing customers. Since our Gainesville home is a second home, we were ready to cancel and they suggested that we put the account on "vacation" at $5.99 per month, and when we return to Florida we can simply take the best promotion and they will turn on the internet again.

We paid six months and yesterday I called to find out what the new promotional rate would be. Then, and only then, they told me that the promotional rate was $2 less than the rate they were raising it to prior to wasting the $36. And, no, we can't get another promotion because we are already customers. They transferred me to "account rescue" and I got another runaround, but not anything close to a significant discount.

I closed the account and enrolled with a competitor at half what Cox wanted, which is a promotion rate for non-customers that will last a year... then we will play their game and go another provider for a new promotion time, then switch when that is up. I refuse to twice as much because I am a "loyal" customer. Cox internet service was ok, but their customer service is slick, telling you half truths and leading you into spending more than you wanted. Don't need that. Cox is officially on my list to NEVER again do business with!

It has happened to me couple of times. Every few months, for example, before March 2016, Cox increased my Internet bill without notifying me. When I called and complained, they refunded me the difference of the months they overcharged me. Then in October 2016, they increased again. I didn't notice that until this time, they increased the bill one more time in March. I don't want to keep calling to complain and ask for a refund. I am ready to disconnect to service. There are other better companies with better ethic than this one.

In the last 3 months, my bill has gone from 289 to over 525 a month, and it is totally ridiculous that we can't get other services because of them, something with the rules that another cable provider can't come into a arena. Totally crap. I think that is what they call a Monopoly!!! Quality hasn't changed in much in over 5 years but billing has gone sky high. Internet speeds went from 250 meg to 500 meg and the bill went from 49.95 to 129.95 and for what. Still slow speeds and equipment that is 2 to 5 years old. Come on get real Cox!!!

This is total BS, but yet the Cox supplies the stadium with this big elaborate system to televise the game over the internet and yet homeowners have to put up with old equipment and slow internet speeds and same old tv service that went out in the 80's!!! I have the HD channels and yet there is no difference in the HD channels versus the standard channels. The only thing different is the price. I'm so fed up with Cox I can't see straight. So tired of the high prices and poor quality tv channels!!!

I rely on streaming movies and online gaming for my entertainment, so when it comes to choosing an cable/internet service package, I prefer 45 mbps or better without any cable channels. Anything I want to view is easily found on Netflix, or in my DVD collection. My first year with Cox was decent. When I lived in Buffalo, NY, Time Warner was far better, but Cox was a decent alternative for when I relocated to San Diego, CA. I didn't want the cable channels, but it came with the internet package with the high-speed internet at a price that I was okay with, so I stuck with it.

A year later, my monthly bill doubled. I called Cox to make adjustments to the service plan, because if I wasn't going to watch cable TV, then there was no reason to pay that much more money for it. The Cox customer service rep had explained to me that my first year with their services came at an introductory rate, and that even if I changed the plan to high-speed internet only, it would still cost a little more than what I was used to per month, and talked me into keeping basic cable in my package, seeing as how it was only a monthly difference of $5, which I was okay with. Shortly after, I suffered greatly from connectivity issues. I had to give up on online gaming altogether, after just buying a $1200 computer to enjoy it on. I was still able to stream online movies, but I noticed more buffering pauses than I did before these changes were made to my services package.

All this while, I had thought that it was simply my geographic location, as there are spots around the building in which my cell phone wasn't capable of connecting. This changed when I moved into my new residence across town just yesterday. A Cox field technician visited to get me set up, but he when he attempted to test my internet quality, he said, and I quote, that my service package "wasn't provisioned correctly". I asked if this meant that I had been paying for 50 mbps while only getting 15 mbps, at which point, he suggested that my router may require replacement. He then offered to help me move some of my furniture from the U-Haul truck outside, which basically told me that he was trying to avoid a confrontation as best he could, which I can understand.

This morning, I attempted to speak with a Cox representative via their online chat forum, and when I addressed the issue, the chat rep told me that the area was experiencing outages. When I asked if these outages can last to up to five months (since my service changed in September), the rep told me that it was best to send a field technician to examine further. The field technician was just at my new residence yesterday, and this online chat rep simply didn't have a canned response to that.

I could tell that she was filling the chat window with default text and scripts that related to my questions. She then asked if I had any other questions, and did not give me adequate time to respond. She quickly closed the chat, and I was prompted to participate in a survey. I expressed my frustrations, but at the end of the day, I'm still paying top dollar for bottom-level service, and there are no other cable services providers that operate within this neighborhood.

I don't know WHAT happened to this company, but I originally was with them in '87 to '11. When I moved back & got reconnected, EVERYTHING went wrong from day one. Was not given the correct bundle that I was promised & I called EVERY month for the 1st 3 months. Well, they ended up charging me almost $30 more than what I was promised, but then, after 3 months, the bill inches up 10.00 or so & they have no answer. I was supposed to get gift card of $200 but they had some ridiculous reason why I missed out on that. I finally was able to get that toward my bill. Then the 1st yr of promotion ends & right before, they connected me to "loyalty" dept to see about getting bill dropped.

They guaranteed it was be $158.11 for next yr & I even had them connect me to billing to make sure they were on same page, as this price ALWAYS is different... and they did, $158.11 for next yr... within 2 wks, my bill went to $204.24! These people are cruel, relentless, money hungry, dishonest, etc. I cannot wait till my next yr is up. NEVER NEVER NEVER go with these people. I used to really like them. Directv is 100% better than they are. Now here is the final straw...I had been arguing & trying to deal w/ them for 2 days. We finally agree to numerous different things, one being that the $8.50 HD box would be taken out of bedroom & replaced w/ the mini box, meaning just basic.

The guy would be out the next morning 8:00 AM. I go to bed, & no service. They disconnected it, even tho I still had my box! They refused to reconnect because that would make the deal I made w/ "loyalty" null & void & I'd have to deal with them all over again in the morning!!! I cannot believe this company. I have been on the phone w/ them at least every month about something & then it's always 45 min to an hr. How can we start a class action lawsuit with these people. I know my blood pressure was sky rocketing. I'm on a budget (retired) & they could care less. I thought I was going to have a heart attack!!!

As a 63 old retired individual went to Cox Cable and requested the basic cheapest service I could afford. They placed in a 2 year $86.00 a month. I bill went up to high $80, then low $90, then 96, then 97, and finally to $117. All within a year. After calling and visiting the store on tropical ave, in Las Vegas. They kept blaming the person that handle the account last. After putting in complaint with the BBB, a representative from Arizona called and said after reviewing the account he was going to waive the increase and that the was going to stay at $97 for the remaining of the contract.

The bill for the next month $97.00. The following month back $117. Went back to store the manager told me. "You didn't get the service here cause the store wasn't open a year ago". Lied. Even after showing him the receipt. He told me, "these are your choices channel 1 thru 19, for same money. Or keep the service you have for $150 a month". No respect. And yes I'm in the process of another BBB complaint. These is the worst cable service I had since cable TV was invented. People stay away from this terrible service. You will save a lot of brain cells.

I had Internet & phone services with Cox and was very satisfied. So when I moved on Aug 29th 2015, I was offered a 2 Year Bundle which included the Sports Package. Nowhere (I have the contract I signed) was I informed that the price would increase after 1 Year. I was paying $107.24 but after September 2015 the price went up to $128.53, was given $10 credit and told it would only be $10 extra for the package. However come October/November it went up to $141.90 and I was rudely told on the phone that "Cox could not negotiate a contract with the NFL". Really with Arthur Blank on their Board that sounds odd. Since I cannot cancel my contract I am now stuck paying $ 141.90. The reason I am filing this complaint today is that I saw an ad for a two year contract in the AAA magazine again not mentioning that the Sports package can change. There is no proper disclosure to the Consumer.

I have had nothing but issues with this company since I signed up with them. I got the cable, phone & internet bundle. I was told I would be receiving at least 20 channels that I "conveniently" never received. Had to call customer service & fix it, they tried to charge me more for it. Finally fixed it after 5 phone calls & speaking to several managers. My other huge problem is billing. I have always paid through the automated system & seemed to have no issues. January 13th I made a payment, they didn't take the fees out until 3 weeks later after sending me a confirmation number saying it had been paid. They over drafted my bank account by $80 because they tried taking a payment out 3 times. Then added other charges to my account in the meantime. Now they say I owe them $400.

They wouldn't help me out at all & all they said was that they could submit a form to have the charges taken off, but yet they want me to pay the past due amount to "avoid disconnecting services." I was in the phone with a representative, transferred several times & then hung up on when transferred to collections. Needless to say, I WILL be switching services & I'm sure anybody is better than Cox. Please think twice before signing up with them.

I have been with Cox Communications on and off for years. Off when I moved out the State or Country for work. I came back with Cox Feb 1, 2016. Always pay my bills on time. My husband passed April 27, 2016. I soon moved to another location. Again paid my bill, returned my equipment from previous location. I called to reconnect. Got me hooked up within a week. Paying my bills with them soon as I get them. I was viewing my credit report!! Bam! Says I owe Cox $62.00. No way. I brought the equipment back and called them telling them I currently am a customer. When I shut off service at last location I brought equipment in, paid my final bill. They couldn't understand why if I didn't bring the equipment back it would only be $62.00. I said exactly one point.

The next point is I called and got service in a new location. Explained my husband had passed. Everything. Told them the day I returned the equipment they were showing Muhammad Ali's funeral on their tv's as I waited for help with customer service. I even went into detail why would COX put me back on with an account if I was not in good standing. They would have made me or any customer pay if they owed a bill of any sort. Cox has been known to do this return of rental equipment to many many people. That actually return their equipment and months later find on their credit report they owe over $700.00. This has been a problem for many Cox customers. My problem is I pay my bills, I like many returns my equipment. Mine is suspicious due to the fact they are trying to claim I owe $62.00 which is very cheap for their equipment not being returned. Which it was returned.

I will dispute and fight Cox for one reason. I do not owe them. I returned my equipment. I have ask them to get their security surveillance. The day I brought the equipment back. ACCORDING to Cox they are trying to do that but it takes time!! Really 7 months, and they are in the security business???? Wow. Cox sucks. I am sorry to say I pay them between $189.00 and $203.00 per month as I speak. Every month. But why would they allow me service if I owed an equipment bill. According to them they can't answer that.

I am looking into another reputable company that can provide service. Cox sucks in billing wrong bills. Cox service sucks. Where I live there aren't many options. Soon as I can find another service. Go to hell Cox. You take people's money and lie. Oh by the way Cox has problems all the time. Tonight for example everything is on an outage. Gave me time to tell the truth about my life with Cox... Please people this company does many many people wrong. Some of us as me have no other choice at the moment. Please tell your story about your Bad experience with Cox.

BAD SALESMANSHIP - POOR zero STAR rating... MISINFORMATION.. LYING... Recently, initiated a vacation suspend service disconnect, following several days circumstance changed to reconnect original service, when the guy at the Cox onsite location advised me that Frontier phone no longer is providing phone service, and that I needed to switch to cox phones, and that package included internet, etc. Well the entire sales pitch is a bunch of lying crap... Frontier is still in business, commission sales trying to make a buck on a 93 year old... Cox your sales staff needs retraining, no longer will be using cox.

I am so sick of dealing with Cox Cable! They are money hungry and do not care about their customers whatsoever. My bill goes up every couple of months. I've asked if there's anything I can do about this and I'm always assured that I am getting the best rate possible. I don't understand why I have to pay more money every couple of months for the exact same service. I only subscribe to Internet and phone and it's now up to $125 a month and steadily rising. That's only the midgrade Internet and phone with no extra options on it. Ridiculous! What has really set me off though is the fact that we recently moved to a new address and I had the service transferred. The house we moved into was already cable ready so Cox did not even need to come out and install anything. They were able to do everything from the office with the push of a button. All I had to do was move my equipment and plug it in.

Well I got the bill today and the bill is $222. There was a one time fee of $100 plus another $25 for surcharges, taxes and fees. I was told that there would be a "small" one time fee would appear on my bill for the move, but I had no idea that it would be $100 along with another $25 worth of BS surcharges and fees. $100 is not a "small" fee to me, but I guess it is to Cox. We get our TV through DirecTV and they sent a technician out to install the satellite and set up all of our equipment completely free of charge after the move - yet Cox is charging $125 for pushing a freaking button! First thing tomorrow morning I am going to see what my other options are for Internet and phone. I am really sick of dealing with this money hungry company. They screw people out of their hard-earned money left and right and don't lose an ounce of sleep over it. I wish another company would come in and run them straight out of business!

I absolutely had to write about how Cox cable has its subscriber choking from high cost and poor customer service. I can't count how many times my service has been disrupted with no apparent reason, and what's worse, they can't seem to determine why. I've been a customer for 21 years and I can't take it anymore. My bill is steady going up! New customers pay less than I do!

I called Cox and requested assistance in lower my bill and the only thing I got in return is maybe you should turn in some mini boxes and let the only channel my husband like go to reduce cost. They really value their customers uh! I've put up with higher cost, rude workers and poor quality tv. It is my wish that people should avoid Cox cable at all cost. You certainly don't get what you are paying for. I'm going through a rough patch right now and I only wanted assistance to help cut cost - but they could care less, 20+ years customer and never miss a payment. I put a lot into them, but nothing into the customer.

Do your research before signing a contract with these jerks. I signed up for the bundle (phone, internet and cable) way back in June. Right from the start it hasn't worked right and the customer service is abysmal. I come home from work the first week to collections calls from Cox threatening to shut off my service for non-payment of the previous customer that had the recycled number. When I called them back on the Cox phone I was asked to call them back from a landline because the connection was so bad. At which point I explained it was the Cox landline. I was also informed I would need to speak to collections about having the number removed from the collections list. This process can only be compared to the Inquisition. You would think they would remove the number from their collections list before recycling the number. But alas, that would be good customer service.

The internet, cable and phone seldom all work. We have had multiple techs out and the house rewired. It still doesn't work. I called today because I am seriously tired of paying so much money to watch pixelated shows, a phone no one can hear me on and rings nonstop with collection calls for the previous customer and no internet and 2 service calls with no show technicians. Today I have been transferred 3x, got yet another guy to "reset" the box as if that is the problem. He tells me to hold on the line so he can transfer me to billing for a credit. I sat on hold for 39 minutes and the call disconnected. If Verizon were available this would have been disconnected in July. We will investigate alternatives to this abusive monopoly.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have had a terrible experience with bundling with DirecTV and am back to Cox Cable. I wish I had never left them. Their price may be a bit higher, but at least you get the services. DirecTV did not provide me with all the services.

E. of Scottsdale, AZ on

Original Review

I have had Cox Cable for 20 years, including their bundle, and I finally have arranged to switch to DirecTV bundle for approximately $50 less per month than Cox plus I will be given a $150 gift card to Walmart. When I called Cox to arrange a discontinue date for all Cox services, Chevella of Cox was polite but very insistent to keep me and try to match the DirecTV price. Couldn’t do it no matter how she did figures and deals, and could only reduce the monthly amount by $10 and she admitted she can’t offer a gift card. She immediately began to read off a script about the negatives of DirecTV (and it was obvious she was reading from a script) and I finally stopped her and said DirecTV notified me of all of that, and I have already signed a contract with them. She said oh and in a few seconds began the negative script about the 2 year fee that I would have to pay DirecTV if I canceled, and at that time I quoted her the price I would have to pay for that cancellation.

That seemed to stop the negative script. I felt like Cox didn’t realize that they also provide contracts to customers that have cancellation clauses too. She wanted to know why I was cancelling and I told her that Cox is not competitive price-wise with other companies and they should be providing better deals to keep their long-time customers. She indignantly said Cox is certainly competitive (and I had just proved to her that Cox was NOT competitive with at least DirecTV).

By that time I was just wanting the discontinuation of services and to set the date for the termination of services. I have the switch effective from both Cox and DirecTV scheduled for the beginning of next month and I’m hoping that the DirecTV bundle will work out because price-wise it is so much cheaper than Cox. I know I’m a senior, but don’t use a script about other companies as a sales trick to try to keep customers, and it is about time for Cox to be honest that they also have cancellation of contract clauses and not to be indignant when someone answers politely why they are switching from Cox.

Years ago we had Cox & seemed like every month the bill was more. So we gave At&t/U-verse a try. It was fine but the internet seemed to be getting slower so thought we would try Cox after hearing they had improved. Big mistake! Compared to Cox At&t/U-verse is like the difference between the 1st & last in a marathon. Since starting in April 2016 with Cox it has been one problem after another. The DVR will not record by "all episodes" except for about 4 programs & even then it may not record all of them. It has to be done one episode at a time & it will occasionally record a program from another channel that was not selected. Now it stops recording before the end of the show. I did double check everything including extending the time period for the start & stop, enough space & no conflicting recordings.

Did call numerous times but always get the same. Reset this, reset that. After doing the same thing each time, it obviously is not going to help the next 5 times either! AT&T would have already replaced the box the 1st time. Also the internet is extremely slow most of the time & is very erratic. Was not informed of their voice mail account but finally figured it out when not receiving all messages on the home VM. All I am waiting for is my husband to choose from other options but if not by today, I WILL choose!

As I read the other complaints about the customer service level of Cox, I realize I am not alone with the frustration I have with Cox. Back in November 2016, Verizon was soliciting for our business. We have been a customer with Cox for over 20 years. We called Cox and asked if our monthly bill could be reduced since the Verizon offer for new clients was significantly lower. They told us they wanted to keep our business and quoted us a reduced rate over the phone. My husband quoted the monthly fee back to the customer service rep and verified the amount.

Since our monthly payments are automatic it took until January to realize we were not receiving the new rate. We experienced a runaround when contacting customer service by the rep attempting to review our service and recommend service cuts to get the monthly fees down and could not reconcile to the earlier quoted fee. I talked to several reps and continued to get the same answer. We kept asking for a supervisor which they ignored the request. The rep checked the service order from Nov and said a change request of services was entered but no indication of adjusted reduced fees and that reps do not have the authority to guarantee the reduced rate. Either the Nov rep was not competent or just wanted to get us off the phone.

Finally our stress level (mainly my wife) escalated to anger and demanded to talk to a supervisor because we know the support calls are recorded. If they quoted us a price they should honor it. Of course no luck getting one to the phone. I guess they are exempt from talking to consumers. We were told we would get a callback within 72 hours but guess what? A week has passed and no response. I honestly think Cox has gotten too big and arrogant to care about their customers specifically home accounts. They need to realize people with home accounts work in corporations and some of those people are responsible to make the decisions to utilize Cox as a service provider for the corporation. We are moving to Verizon.

Every month I pay my bill at Cox. Every month the due date changes with a previous charge added after I have paid my bill then I have to call as always to talk to them about being over charged and also 2 different due dates and one in red that says account past due when I paid it and I know I paid it because I mail the bill from the post office. I have been with Cox for more than 8 yrs. now and they know this and everyone I talked to says that Cox done them the same way.

I am really mad right now so I will end this now but there is so much more I would like to add. But last I would like to say that, There has got to be some way that these crooks will have to go to jail for ripping off the elderly and disabled and the American people who work so hard for what they have and for crooks like this to create false statements should be punishable by law. I will end with this... Does anybody out there know any reasonable tv internet phone providers other than Cox or AT&T? They are another story... but Cox knows that they are the only ones in certain areas so they pull this kind of legal/illegal billing on Americans the has got to change or else.

On Friday, Jan 13 at 10 at night Cox Cable came out to my backyard to fix some problem with their box and when they did that my phone service was cut. I live with my 89 year old grandma who is disabled and during the day she is home alone while I work. We have called every day since the phone was cut and they all say that this is a top priority and it will be fixed asap. Here it is Tuesday night and still no service. I just called Cox and talked to a rude person and he said they will be out tomorrow and there is nothing else he can do. He argued with me non-stop about the phone service being cut on Friday night and wouldn't take ownership of his company's wrongdoing.

So Cox does not care about their elderly disabled people. Cox has cocky people that work for them and doesn't care that a disabled 89 year old doesn't have service. If there is an emergency my grandmother does not have a phone to use. She does not have a cell phone because she has home service. If the Cox workers had not come to my backyard on Friday to fix something, we would still have home phone service. I'm lost for words and don't know when they will come out to fix the problem they caused.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.
  • Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.
  • 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.
  • Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.
  • Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.
  • Best for Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers