Cox Cable
1.37/5

Cox Cable

1199 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

Sometimes deal with rude and not very knowledgeable representative. I speak very politely but yet feel sometimes they are being a smart-** in return towards me. Why? I been polite? And being transfer from one person to another until I finally find someone who can give me the correct answer to my question. No longer a Cox Cable customer :)

Original review: March 17, 2019

I signed up for a "promotional" package. The total cost, including taxes and fees was supposed to be $70 less than the bill I received. The customer service indicated it was incorrect and said the next bill would reflect the lower charge. The next bill was still $50 over. I called again and was told that I misunderstood the taxes and fees were added later, which as I stated to them, I had the initial price in writing, including taxes and fees. After 5 months of calling and spending average of 2 hours on the phone with them, I have decided to cancel my service.

Then I receive an email stating if I come back, I will receive a 40% discount off my original services. I called and guess what, it is off the "non-discounted" price which would save me between $10-$20/month. What a scam! I have dealt with numerous companies over the United States, as I move frequently, but I have never encountered such a crooked company as Cox. Even when speaking with the customer service people, they say they know it is wrong and wish they could change the way Cox does business. It is sad, but consistent with the way things are now regarding customer service.

It is never about the customer anymore, just the fact that once you are a customer, you get no savings, only new customers and only if you sign your life away. This industry will learn that they will fail without customers and with all the apps and other options for internet out there, they will be losing customers because the technology world does not need to be connected via wires anymore and these companies will soon learn how "valuable" customer service and customer retention is to the viability of their bottom line. I have never written a review before, but I felt mistreated, lied to, and never was I, the customer ever put first.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 17, 2019

Unfortunately, there is no other cable company to compete with Cox. I understand the others are even worse. Can't depend on their WIFI. COX WIFI is most unstable. It stops working at the worst times... In the middle of a movie or during an online class, like right now. Customer service reps are nice and they do all they can, which is always just to "send a signal" that disconnects you from everything. They send technicians who do nothing other than to "send a signal". The box in front of my house is so old and deteriorated, that cannot possibly work well. COX will not replace it, they just patch here and there. It is so frustrating that I am always in tears when I need to do something important that requires COX wifi. And I pay an obscenely high sum every month for this crap. Over $300.00 for bad service.

Original review: March 16, 2019

The only reason I have Cox Cable is the complex I live in will not allow ANY other provider in. I know that will be the ultimate reason I move. There are always ongoing problems, from billing, to internet access, to tv issues - there are too many to list. Pick a problem, they’ll have it. If not, they’ll create it. Also, they MAKE you have a landline so they can give you better rates. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has a Cox landline that isn’t used and is therefore useless. If I could have anyone else, it would be DirecTV and LV.net for internet services.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have been a satisfied customer with Cox for 20 years, here lately that HAS CHANGED. 3 1/2 weeks ago we were experiencing 1/3 of the internet speed we are paying for, Cox's solution upgrade to "Panoramic WiFi." Result = same as before... So after 5 service calls to my home, changing parts, missed work for reschedules, and countless service reps. on many levels, INCLUDING Corp. "Executive Escalation Team" here we are with no internet (1.9 Mbps. download speed).

I was assured a week ago that on the next scheduled appoint my issue would be resolved. Guess what? Tech. couldn't handle it so...reschedule as "CUI" & I was assured once again we will resolve it then because a "Supervisor" would come out. Well a "supervisor" did not come out just a tech. again. He conclude modem is defective which confirms the previous tech. I know what the problems are, and have relayed that info. many, many times. Result/Reschedule and assurance of correction.

I AM SICK of BS! Results NOT Appeasement are required! Cox Get it together. You're better than this. Here is a quote concerning Cox CEO Pat Esser, "Customer service excellence is a Cox hallmark under Esser’s leadership..." REALLY! Snap out of it! If you really gave a care I wouldn't be writing this. I want to stay with Cox however under these circumstances? What would you do?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: March 13, 2019

Raising costs monthly after agreeing to a one Year fixed rate. 2.5 hours on the phone with 4 very rude reps in the loyalty department. One supervisor completely deleted our premium package after I hung up. On a lighter note, I rang just a straight up representative who totally was helpful and friendly and completely straightened our account out. I am making a move to encourage ALL Cox customers to join in to start a class action suit against Cox Cable. Also, do not forget to file a claim against them with the BBB! We all need to fight back against unfair billing practices!

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have visited 6771 Quail Hill Pkwy. Irvine, CA 92603 location last month. I wanted to return my COX TV. They said that if I return it my monthly payment going to increase. They said I have a promotional rate of up to 2 years. And This month I received my bill $37 more. I contacted customer service and explain the situation. The customer representative was worse than the actual Cox Rep. in the store. They "DO NOT CARE" about customer's problems at all!!! Please stay away from them. I am going to cancel my service tomorrow.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have had COX since November 2018 and my service was disconnected in error at my townhouse complex where all residents regardless of apartment number all share one main address. My service was disconnected and after speaking with rep #1 (of 6 or more reps over time) I was told that someone else was identified as beginning service at my residence so therefore mine was disconnected. Mind you each resident here 50+ families do have the same main address but different names and different account numbers.

I got over this error and the same day of the disconnect I was reconnected and told that the only way I could reconnect is with a new account number in which my payment from the previous account would apply to the new account since Id never missed a payment and never asked for this service interruption. This was not the case. The previously disconnected account remained in my name and no credit was applied. After receiving a notice that my account was heading to collections it triggered a long series of me calling being lied to and calling again after finding the previous account balance is still being identified as unpaid. Long story short the reps are either undertrained or simply dont have the competence to be in the ropes they are in. Even after speaking to a supervisor I was treated as though a favor was being done by the fees I didnt accrue being removed. There is no seriousness of customer retention and it shows. AVOID AVOID AVOID!

Original review: March 2, 2019

I always had a horrible experiences with Cox Cable incompetent services reps. These reps never provide correct information dealing with these hidden cable fees. Cox communication has been over charging customers for decades. On top of that their WiFi services is horrible. Cox communication is definitely a rip off and care more about money than making sure their customers are receiving quality service.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Unstable internet for several weeks. Call Cox they encourage using their 'text' system. Call for credit after several outages and I am told there are no complaints on the account so no credit. I ask about the texts I have and they tell me to print them and prove I have them. Really? The entire neighborhood has been out on SEVERAL occasions. The neighbors got credits. I don't because I used the texting option offered by the company. I wish there was another option in my town.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I've been a customer of Cox for a very long time (mainly because of where I live) otherwise I'd go somewhere else because of their customer service. So there's a horrible wind storm in Ohio and my cable line gets pulled off my house and is dangling between the pole, the ground and my house. I need to leave at some point and it's mainly a safety concern too! I called customer service and the lady couldn't just open a ticket for it - she said she had to "reboot my modem" to trigger a ticket. She tries that and it works, but she can't submit the ticket she gets errors.

So she sends me to advanced tech support, I explain the problem and he says he can't help me. It's not my fault the first level support couldn't open the ticket - just get me to the right place. I get redirected back to the original line where Customer Service isn't open on weekends and it tells me to Text a number for 24/7 support. I get that far and explain my situation and they state the earliest service appointment is Tuesday. Are you joking with me? Why isn't this an emergency or at least of high level? It's hopeless. They said earliest would be me calling in on Monday at 8 AM.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

My cable box recently expired, refusing to turn on. I called Cox, and we set up an appointment for 10-12 on Thursday, Feb. 21 to replace the box. No one came. At 12:15, the service guy called me, stating he was running late. He said he would stop by at 1pm. At 2pm, I noticed an email rescheduling my appointment from 1pm to 3 pm. Again, no-one showed up, and no phone call. I called the Cox customer service line at 4:46 pm. I explained the lack of service, and was assured someone would be here in approximately 30 minutes. It's now 7:05, and again, no-one called or showed up.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

They'll rope you in with a promised promotional rate. You won't get that rate. I signed a 2 yr contract stating something in the neighborhood of $129 a month, for cable, internet and free phone service. My bill has never been lower than $179. When I called to inquire about it, they told me the additional charges were surcharges and taxes. $50 worth? I already had Cox internet, before adding the TV and phone, so spoke with the Customer Service Loyalty program, and was basically told me, "Too bad!" When I threatened to leave, they told me there would be an early termination fee, even though I feel like THEY are the ones who broke the contract with not sticking to the original price in the contract. THEY'RE A SCAM! RUN!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I absolutely am frustrated with the COX technicians because I went to let out my dogs in the backyard. Then I heard my dogs barking, which is rare, so I figured it was the cats bully them so I went out there to chase the cats away. Next thing I see is something blue at the right corner of my backyard. It suddendly stood up and was about 5'11 to 6' tall. My dog yelps and runs back to me after I seen him kick it. I thought this was a robber so I grabbed my dogs and quickly walked inside. While I was walking quickly back to the back door, I asked him who are you. He replied, "I'm with Cox." I said to him, "I was in the house all day, why didn't you ring the doorbell or call me if you are coming."

I also asked him to PLEASE DON'T KICK MY DOGS, I HAVE SIGNS. "WHY DID YOU COME HERE WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME?" I was so scared because when I went into the house when I looked outside the window, I didn't see any Cox cable cars. I decided to look from another window and see that there was a Cox car about two houses down. Regardless, this is UNACCEPTABLE and I felt so VIOLATED considering I am a small 5'0 woman and 115 pounds. I was so scared and afterward upset because my dog is like my child and he kicked my dog.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I called Cox Communications to dispute a notice that I had agreed to the Cox Care program. I was switched from technical support to the Royalty department. The technical representative was extremely pleasant and said that she would switch me to the Loyalty department which she did. Unfortunately the Loyalty representative had overdosed on unpleasant pills and was immediately confrontational. She told me that I would either pay the Cox Care fee or a technician service or lose Cox service. After a short while of getting upset, I asked to speak to someone else and she told me that she was the authority and there was no one else to speak with. The call ended with her demanding that I make a choice about paying the Cox Care fee or a technician service call fee. I hung up before getting more upset with this person poorly representing Cox Communication.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

If there is any way you can use another provider I would do so. These people are all about money and not at all about service. We transferred service to another address for our business and kept getting billed for the old address as well as the new address. After three phone calls it is still not straightened out and I have been on hold for 25 minutes to speak to a supervisor after being mistreated by the first customer service representative. Additionally when the gentleman came to install service we were told it would take up to 24 hours before the service started. After 48 hours and two calls we finally got someone who knew what they were doing and it was not working because someone in the "back office" forgot to turn on some switch and you guessed it we did not get credit for being without service. AWFUL COMPANY. BEWARE. DO NOT USE UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Customer Service is HORRID at this company. When I signed up as a new customer, I was quoted a price and was read a list of channels I would have with my cable/and internet service. I was pleased. The quotes and sign-up were done by an outside agent AUTHORIZED to do this by Cox Cable. I even explained that I did not yet have my TV; it would be delivered in a few days, hence my asking for the channels I would have being read back to me. Flashforward 4 days, I get my TV, hook it up, and NOT one channel I asked for was available. I called Cox, and was given a complete runaround, and quoted a much higher price for what I "wanted".

Three representatives later, and three supervisors later, I am told they will not do anything and will not honor what previous supervisors said they would do. "No, you are not going to get anything..." direct from the last supervisor/mini-dictator I spoke with. I was even told by this individual that she was the highest authority. Even after I mention district managers, her direct boss/supervisor she reports to, and even the CEO...she said, "Yup, I am it."

The hubris and arrogance was overwhelming. I have read news stories about how horrible companies like Comcast are, and only shudder because if they are so bad, how much worse are they than what I and dozens on this review site have gone through? Needless to say, I am cutting that cord with Cox, and am going to spread the word to all my friends and family... Their commercials say one thing and brag about their customer service, but the reality is they suck.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

NO NOT USE COX. Upon moving service addresses with cox I was told one price and have continually been charged and told another price. Calling customer service is no help. Each time I call I get a different story, a different process and a different reason for the price differential. They lock you in a contract you cannot get out of and treat their customers terribly. The company should be ashamed of itself and its business practices. When my contract is up...I am OUT and will be telling anyone who listens what a bad company Cox is.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I moved to town and was searching for the local channel the hockey game was on. Due to blackouts I could not watch the game on the subscription I have through the NHL (much cheaper than Center Ice, but I digress). After calling the representative for help finding the channel, which she was of no help, we were subscribed to Center Ice and didn't know until we got the bill with the $50.00 extra charge. 4 calls in and the problem is still not fixed. We have gone from a conversation where a representative that insisted I ordered Center Ice and says there was nothing he could do, to being told it would be removed and we would be refunded.

Turned on the TV today and they removed the package that has the NHL TV channel and the Science channel, but not Center Ice. I have spent a total of 2hrs and 15 mins trying to resolve the situation. I know their products better than they do, and the problem seems to be the lack of training and knowledge product on their end. Unfortunately the complex I live in is contracted with them so if I want internet I need to use this customer. Luckily I have a 6 month lease. They are so bad I will move not to give this company money.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Cox Cable is easily the worst cable company and probably the worst company I’ve ever dealt with. Their customer service is terrible— the people working there are shockingly rude and noticeably apathetic to your issues. Sometimes my services will just stop working out of nowhere with no notice, text, or email from Cox and I won’t know the issue until I call their main line. They also randomly hike up fees— again without any notice. They have a virtual monopoly in the area which is very unfortunate for the customers who just want a good service at an affordable price. If you are considering joining Cox, I would strongly advise you to consider any other option first. I would not recommend that anyone give this company their business.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

No access to online viewing outside of home is utterly ridiculous. I will switch as soon as possible. They've never been any good at much anyway, least of all services. The Cable/Internet Monopolies will end, and they will have nothing.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have Cox internet only I pay for 300/30 speed I never have buffering watching Fubotv. My bill is always correct. I have read other reviews people stating Cox is slow probably are poor people who cannot afford 300/30 speed and they probably use a Dell. I use my Apple MacBook Pro. Cox is great. Now if you want no buffering dont be poor. Pay for 300/30 speed and purchase a device that can achieve 300/30 speed. A lot of devices cannot. ALSO make sure your connected to the 5g not the 2g. The router modem has both signals. The 5g is the fastest but you need a device that can handle 5g.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

2 INCREASES IN CHARGES IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS. All these folks want to do is rip you off, they are not interested in anything but their bank account, very expensive service, wish we had more cable companies in this area to select from. I did look into satellite but, they cannot guarantee me service where I live. I know people that do not have internet services and they seem to get along just fine. I think that I am just addicted to the service, maybe I should try to go without it for a while.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Since the required switch to digital mini boxes we have experienced loss of audio, pixelization and loss of picture. Since June 2018 the above issues have gotten worse to the point, at times, it would be impossible to watch television with any continuity of a show. The efforts by Cox has been to send technician after technician to interrupt my day to say they found nothing even after sitting in my home, on occasion for two hours, watching the issue happen and sending numerous time and date-stamped videos to corporate showing the issue. It seems their mode of operation is to try and wear the customer down to the point they just give up. There is no good second alternative, it appears there is no real competition, just “service monopoly”. And, Cox has the gall to bill as though they are providing a 100% releasable service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Recently, my roommate and I left for vacation and we turned our internet level down. When we got back we went through 2 different people before we got someone that could actually help us with our troubles. We were unable to connect to the wifi, but when we talked to Emmanuel we dived right in resetting the modem for us which the other person did not do. They just told us they would send a signal and if that didn't work to call customer service. Emmanuel helped us solve our internet problem and made us laugh at that!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Cox is the most bogus company on the planet, they overcharge for ** services and treating their customers like garbage sending out subcontractors and not communicating the entire issue. Thanks to these useless **, we had no service for over a week, got stood up on two appointments and to ice the cake, when they finally sent out a subcontractor for an appointment they scheduled on their own after screwing us over countless items, he disconnected my business line costing me an entire days worth of work. This is not the first time Cox has pulled some crap like this because they are never held accountable and they are the worst company on the planet!!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We went from DirecTV to Cox in hope that we would get quality service at a better price. WRONG! We have had nothing but problems with Cox from day one. We had our WiFi box fried out in the first day. It was replaced at Cox’s earliest convenient of course. Next our cable boxes started to freeze up at random times when watching shows. It would freeze up to 30 mins at any given time. They sent a tech out to look at it but there was nothing he could do. He did suggest to have the box in an open area so it could breathe. We had it in a entertainment center - odd to me but ok. If that doesn’t work we would need a new box. We did what was suggested and it seemed to help.

Now the shows are stopping and this time completely restarting the shows. In some cases stopping at the same point of the program. So we need a new box. However they can’t transfer the programs on the DVR so we can lose them or watch them and exchange the box. Not a whole lot of convenient on Cox at all. We have now decided to pay the discounting fee and going to Fire Stick and other options for our programs. BTW DirecTV is better in service to a point. Not saying much when it comes to Cox. But DirecTV is way overpriced. With today’s available in the technology world save your money and utilize the other options.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have been a Cox customer for years. I recently moved, and did a transfer of services. I set up my transfer of services a month before I moved, and was reassured that everything was set up and was good to go. Once I moved to my new house, Cox proceeded to charge me on my closed account for 3 months (previous address). They were charging me for BOTH addresses. We have now been going back and forth for two months, and Cox has decided to NOT reimburse me for my $182 that they currently owe me. They have told me "the check is in the mail" twice, but it never arrives. The worst part is, they will lie to you. They are literally trying to tell me that there is "no evidence of past communications".

They are basically telling me I never called, never cancelled my other account, never did a transfer of services... ALL OF THEIR PHONE CALLS ARE RECORDED! If they never received my phone calls, how did I even get Cox Cable set up at my new address? How is that even possible? They treat you like you are stupid, and you just have to accept it. I just recently cancelled all my services with Cox, and they will most definitely never be getting my business again. I urge you to look at more reviews of Cox Cable, what happened to me, happens to a lot of other people. Do not give this horrible business your money! This is a common occurrence with Cox Cable.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I ordered Cox internet online and upgraded with a lure of a $100 prepaid card. They never sent code to my email as the checkout suggested, and I got the runaround instead when I tried to call 3 times about getting it. I took screenshots of the info as I checked out showing the $100 gift card promise. Also, my speed is now down to 15 Mbps instead of the 30 Mbps in my package. Purchased 10/7/17. Norman, OK.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I wish that I could write this experience less than one or zero. I signed up for a bundle with Cox Internet and Contour Cable. My insulation was on November 7, 2018. I was told that I could add the premium movie channels for $20 plus per month. At the insulation time I decided not to do this but take advantage of it on 12 November. The so called customer service person said at first he couldn’t add that on for the amount with my agreement then he said that he could. Then I received a bill through my email on December 11 that was $535. Of course I question that bill and I was so nervous. I could not stand it because companies basically can do what they want to do if you value your credit. I called many occasions and finally I got down to 259 and then I paid it right up on the due date but it should’ve been $190 including the movie channel package.

Finally they put it on another package but then I was charge for something that should have been free. It was Cox Homelife which I did get free until they changed the movie channel package to the correct amount then they started adding the Cox Homelife which was free with the original package. At this point I was fed up and I just went down to the original package but they still wouldn’t reimburse me for the amount I paid which was $259 instead of $190. I am also an elderly woman but that shouldn’t matter. They are not customer service oriented. They are just worried about their bottom line. I am so frustrated and upset that they took my money and didn’t care about the service. FYI I have four grandchildren living with me also. Sign frustrated.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs