Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Cox Cable
2.86/5
Based on 1,262 ratings submitted in the last year

Cox Cable

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Cox Cable Reviews

Original review: June 11, 2019

We have been with Cox, always good service. Now another family went with Cox bundle and if it wouldn’t have been for Brian ** the rep. we would cut the cable off. Problem with wireless system, the company couldn’t come for 4-5 days!! He came out, replaced problem, up and running!! Billing needs some help to don’t mind paying for what I get but it was a a bit high. Brian straightened it out, thank goodness!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have Cox internet only I pay for 300/30 speed I never have buffering watching Fubotv. My bill is always correct. I have read other reviews people stating Cox is slow probably are poor people who cannot afford 300/30 speed and they probably use a Dell. I use my Apple MacBook Pro. Cox is great. Now if you want no buffering dont be poor. Pay for 300/30 speed and purchase a device that can achieve 300/30 speed. A lot of devices cannot. ALSO make sure your connected to the 5g not the 2g. The router modem has both signals. The 5g is the fastest but you need a device that can handle 5g.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Recently, my roommate and I left for vacation and we turned our internet level down. When we got back we went through 2 different people before we got someone that could actually help us with our troubles. We were unable to connect to the wifi, but when we talked to Emmanuel we dived right in resetting the modem for us which the other person did not do. They just told us they would send a signal and if that didn't work to call customer service. Emmanuel helped us solve our internet problem and made us laugh at that!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Cox Communications (Cable) is the only highspeed Internet provider in the Las Vegas Metro area and their Cable TV runs off Comcast’s Xfinity fiber optics platform - “the top rated in the US!” Cox’s, also has voice activated remote controls. Moreover—like Comcast’s Xfinity—you can watch TV anywhere with Cox’s “Contour” mobile app for smartphones, laptops, PCs, and iPads, etc. In addition, you can bundle cable TV, home phone, and Internet (or) switch out the home phone for Cox’s home security and bundle (home security, Internet, and cable TV).

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

The first line staff is good to work with, but it is clear they have policies and guidelines that prevent them from offering good choices to customers. Also pricing is high as there are no good alternate choices, especially when it comes to high speed internet. I am finding that over the air TV is a real good option and will save a lot of money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I have completed my first year with COX as a new customer. I am under contract for two years at their introductory price. However my bill went up $20. I called to discuss and was told that my introductory only last a year. I feel need to write this review because original salesperson lied and the company would do nothing to help solve my dilemma. I am used to dealing with XFINITY which was an excellent company. Very disappointed with the customer service provided by COX. When I spoke with COX today, the first person said there would be something that could be done and told me he was sending me to another customer service rep who could make the adjustment. However, he sent me to another person who knew nothing about why I was calling. Again, they lied. Beware of this company if you are looking for TV and Internet service in the Las Vegas area.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I recently had connection issues and went to the residential page to reset my modem. There was some error saying “I was not a customer and wasn’t able to access this function”. After a chat with customer service they eventually reset my connection and proceeded to attempt to persuade me to purchase “the great Ultimate” as the representative called it. I said no and was promptly fed more incoherent, grammatically incorrect, nonsense about how “an huge promotion” would decrease my high cost. I had to check I was on the correct website as I was led to believe I was being scammed. I was so disturbed by the blatant unprofessionalism by the representative and am very concerned about the standards of their customer service team.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I was a customer of Cox for over 8 years. They gave me their equipment and we used it for the time we had the service. My wife and I moved from an area they serviced and I was advised on the day a called to disconnect that there was no equipment that needed to be returned, so I discarded the equipment. Lo-and -behold I get a bill 45 days later with an equipment charge applied. I called their support center and told them what I was told on the day of disconnection. The young man advised he would escalate the issue up and I would get an email or call to let me know when the case was settled. Well, 90 days later I get an alert from my CB advising that I had a collection account for $130. I called Cox to address the issue and they advised it was my problem and pretty much I could go pound sand. If this is your last option, then by all means, use them. If you have other options, I would go with the alternative.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

The first few months was a battle to get them to charge me the proper amount. Then they came into my backyard without my notification to remove equipment off my house. I know they don't need permission being a utility company but I requested notification because of my dog, they said they didn't have to do that. When they removed their equipment they left a mess on the house, wires going all different directions and they bolted them to the wall. I called about cleaning it up, first they said they would have someone call and remedy the issue. They never called back but marked the problem as solved in their system. I called again and they said that they will not take care of the mess and I would need to hire an electrician to make it look appropriate again. If I required them to come to fix it, they would charge me.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

This review is based on Cox Cables failure to honor or abide by their own promotional pricing. At the time of this writing I’m sure my account with Cox Cable has been or will be turned over to collections and this is yet another attempt to straighten out my account with Cox Cable for being charged an early termination fee of $170 plus tax.

Beginning in January 2019 through April 2019 I received a total of four promotional mailings from Cox Cable advertising “Best. Offer. Ever. Great price. 3 years.” This promotion advertised that “You deserve peace of mind when it comes to your monthly bill. Know exactly how much your going to pay for the next 3 years.” “Take advantage of our best offer ever.” “Until 2022 with no contract”. The promotion included “Free Equipment Rental. No Contract.” “Stable pricing. No annual contract. Includes FREE pro install, FREE Panoramic WIFI Modem rental and FREE HD receiver rental”.

In March of 2019 my tv/internet contract with AT&T was up and I thought that it would be the perfect time to try Cox Cable since I did not know how much longer I would be at my residence in Oceanside CA. I felt that the promotion offered by Cox Cable couldn’t have come at a better time. Biggest mistake I’ve ever made.

As advertised I could sign up for this promotion either by calling (855) 816-7384 or online at cox.com/best offer. I signed up online and chose the Internet Preferred & Contour TV advertised at $114.99 per month. I did opt to add two mini set top boxes for a rental fee of $2.99 each per month bringing my monthly charges to $120.97 monthly before taxes. I took screenshots of the order showing the cost before taxes as well as the promotional information. Upon receipt of my first bill dated March 6, 2019 my services with Cox Cable had been bundled with a 24 month agreement. In addition I was charged for the “FREE Pro Install, the FREE Panoramic WIFI Modem as well as the FREE HD Receiver rental”.

I called Cox Communications immediately and voiced my concerns with the charges. I spoke with three separate Cox representatives and although the charge for the pro install would be removed none of the Cox Cable service representatives I spoke with had any clue as to what promotion I was talking about. I was told that a request would be put in to review the account and/or promotion and to wait until the next billing period.

Upon receipt of the second bill the charge for the pro install was removed however the charges for the equipment rental remained the same as well as bundled with a 24 month agreement. Month after month the bill remained the same... all services bundled, a 24 month agreement and charges for the Panoramic WIFI modem rental and the Contour HD receiver rental.

Eventually I went into the Cox Solutions storefront with copies of my screenshots, a copy of my first bill as well as the promotional mailings. I spoke with Carolina who was a “Solution Specialist”. Once again this person had no clue with regards to the promotion I signed up for. She told me that the charges were correct whether bundled or unbundled. She said that the only problem was that my services were bundled with a 24 month agreement. She took copies of all my documentation and said that she would submit a request to have my services unbundled and to once again wait until the next bill. Ironically, I received the fourth promotional advertisement from Cox Cable in the mail when I returned home after speaking with Carolina at the Cox Solutions store.

After receiving yet another incorrect bill, being fed up and frustrated I called Cox Cable on September 23, 2019 and canceled my services. I spoke with Mark. In all my dealings with Cox Cable since March of 2019 through October 9, 2019 Mark was the only representative with Cox Cable that I spoke with who was familiar with the promotion which I had signed up for. Mark said that it was actually cheaper to have the services bundled and that if I were billed correctly with the promotion I would have paid $5.00 more per month. It was more important to me that Cox Cable stand behind their promotional mailing, unbundle my services, no contract and no fees for equipment rental than to be concerned over $5.00. Mark did say that I most likely would be charged with an early termination fee and would I consider keeping Cox Cable if he gave me one month free.

I also received an email from Cox Cable offering me 40% off certain services for one year if I would reconsider coming back to Cox. I declined because from day one I was being charged for something I did not sign up for which had been brought to Cox Cables attention numerous times since receipt of the first bill.

Knowing that I was required to return all equipment within 30 days of cancellation I used Cox Connect to communicate online with a Cox representative at which time I asked for a free box as advertised to return the equipment and was advised that I would receive the mailing box within 3-5 days.

As of today’s date November 19, 2019 I have yet to receive that mailing box. Needless to say the last thing I wanted to do was to have to go back into the Cox Solutions store to return the equipment. On October 9, 2019 I returned the equipment to the Cox Solutions store and attempted once again try to solve the issue of the early termination fee. I spoke with Sr. Sales & Operations Specialist; Danielle. I explained the issue, showed her the original four promotional ads received in the mail, copies of my first bill, screenshots of the initial online order as well as all my notes. Danielle did confirm that the request from Carolina to unbundle my services with no contract was submitted but subsequently denied. How can Cox Cable deny their own promotion?

Danielle then proceeded to advise me that if my services were unbundled I would have paid $11.00 more per month. So... would the charges be the same, $5.00 more per month or $11.00 per month? She then reiterated the fact that a person can “make changes to their Cox services without paying an early termination fee within 30 days of your Agreement or 7 days from the date of the bill statement, whichever is later”. Danielle did not acknowledge the fact that I did call upon receipt of my first bill. The Pro installation fee just isn’t removed from your bill by itself. Danielle was very indignant when she asked me why I did not accept the offers for one month free or 40% off certain services for a year. Either way it would still have required a contract or agreement which defeated the sole purpose of my signing up for Cox cable to begin with.

Lastly, Danielle proposed that I meet her “halfway” with the early termination fee. Once again I declined. This entire situation has taken up so much of my time, created a tremendous amount of unnecessary anxiety and frustration and simply could have been avoided had Cox Cable backed up their own promotional advertisements and pricing. If that’s not false advertising then I don’t know what is. For the record and whether my calls were recorded or not I have spoken with the following Cox Cable representatives: John, Jamie, Jenna, Monica, Carolina, Angelica, Mark and Danielle.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs