Cox Cable
1.60/5
Based on 213 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Cox Cable

1082 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Wow! What a bunch of crooks! All of the remotes for our TVs stopped working so we called the support phone number displayed on the TV. Spent about 1/2 an hour on the phone with "Latrisha". She tried rebooting the main cable box with no success. So she decided that we needed to have a tech come to our house which happened the next day. He concluded that our remotes were no longer paired to the TVs. Here was the solution: Press and hold the setup key on the remote until green light comes on. Then punch in 981. That little trick wasn't in the manual and the helpful support person on the phone didn't suggest that we try it. I guess that we were suppose to intuitively know it. Took him about 10 minutes and later we got a bill for $75. When we protested the bill they basically told us to ** off. But, what are we supposed to do? Here in Tucson AZ Cox is the only show in town unless we go to a dish. Weasels!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have been suffering from internet and Phone outages since last 3-4 weeks. I have called tech support multiple times but no resolve. Today the tech came and said my modem needs to be replaced. Guess what - he did not have any replacement modem in his truck. He said he will come back next Saturday. While I am paying their crappy services - my woeful tale goes on. I am ready to switch.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Billing is ALWAYS changing! Nearly every month I need to call Cox billing to fight with them about my FIXED billing amounts being changed. After 20-30 minutes on the I always get the same "Oh, we're sorry, blah, blah, blah" crap about why my billing is not what the last person said it would be and so on. I HATE, HATE, HATE the damn games Cox is always playing and wonder why our taxpayer supporter consumer protection agencies continue to do nothing. If you have a choice other than Cox take it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

It does not surprise me in the least that I had to scroll through 30 or so reviews to find an even mediocre one. I have been a happy Cox customer for about 17 years until recently. For the past 21/2 months I have been experiencing long time outages every day. I am unable most of the time to call tech support for frozen pictures, being kicked off channels I pay to have, internet outages, and home security disruption due to the fact that my phones are also Cox and are down constantly.

I spoke with tech support almost daily for 21/2 months and they told me, "The issue cannot be resolved or fixed." Customer service told me I was lying, and they would not say that. I assure you, they did. Customer service also told me they could, and would not do anything to resolve the issue. When I tried to change my services (because again, I rarely receive them), I was told I have a contract and would have to pay a substantial penalty. I have ten more months of having to deal with this company, and I would rather live completely off the grid than ever pay them another cent. Did I mention my monthly bill is $335? You are severely penalized for being a long time customer, and the Loyalty department is in no way interested in hearing that you have been a long time loyal customer. They offer big discounts the first year for new customers to lull them in, but buyer beware! They are by far, the worst company.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Cox has the worst customer service of any cable company I’ve ever dealt with. I moved to Orange County last August from the East Coast, so went into the Cox Store to sign up for services. I was upsold by a salesman for home security who offered a “deal.” I was reluctant to agree when I read there was a $344 fee for early cancellation. We were only there for the school year and headed East in May. He told me not to worry about as long as I was moving out of state it was no problem. We were Cox customers for 8 months and I paid my bill on time each month.

I canceled the service beginning of May, returned all the equipment, got a receipt and I was told at the office I had a zero balance. Since then I’ve been harassed by a collections agency and the Cox team with multiple phone calls and letters. I have called multiple times only to get the runaround - transferred to at least four people and put on hold for at least 30 minutes total. Each time they tell me not to worry about it; they’ll remove the charges. Today, I just got off the phone after 40 minutes of the runaround with four different people, only to be told those charges cannot be removed and I still owe the money! I asked for a supervisor and was told I would get a call back. Ugh. I’m calling the Better Business Bureau.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

So Cox Cable didn't want to work with me on adding TV to my service package - I currently have internet only. I'm paying $100 a month for internet. I want TV added. "That'll be $140 a month" Cox says. Meanwhile, Cox is offering new customers a TV, internet package deal for $89 a month. I mention that fact, acknowledge I'm not a new customer eligible for an introductory promotion deal, but you Cox, need to come down from $140 a month... "Nope" Cox says.

Not even the escalation department at Cox would work with me. I could only get a 'deal' @ $127 a month but ONLY if I added a phone I don't want or need, or if I added a security camera which I don't want or need... Hey Cox, if you can afford to give me $127 a month by adding equipment I don't want, can't you afford to give me JUST internet and TV for the same price? Nope, that phone or security camera HAS to be installed and in use (a.k.a., equipment rental fee, additional taxes, rate goes up after one year and I have to sign a two year deal). Cox Cable needs some cable competition in this town.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have had Cox Cable on and off for years (unfortunately their internet seems to be the fastest in town), so I could not possibly list all of the fraudulent charges over the years, not enough time or space to write them all. So I will sum it up like this of my experience with them over the years. They consistently charge me for services I have not ordered. Have to invest time to call them, explain to at least 8 or 9 different operators, usually over a span of a week, the same story over and over to have the fraudulent charges removed. They always apologize and sympathize with me, so I can tell this is part of their training, but playing this scenario out over and over throughout the years gets really old.

When a company consistently overcharges for services never ordered and the mistake is ALWAYS in their favor, I have to conclude that they are deliberately doing this. Just once I would like to see a mistake in my favor, but so far it has never happened. The problem is that they get away with it much of the time with many of their customers who take it for granted that the billing invoice is correct.

I can imagine how many millions and millions of dollars over the years they have fraudulently stolen from their customers by overbilling them. Of course their practice is always to act like it was an innocent mistake or miscommunication. Also, when I order a product/service, they refuse to send me an email with a list/description of charges to confirm my order. What type of business does this??? So when I do call them back to complain, I have no proof of the original order other than my word and what I wrote down myself during the call. In order to minimize their deceptive business practices, I have canceled all my other services and only use their internet. It is too bad there isn't better competition in town.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have had nothing but issues with Cox Cable. They rip customers off like no other company on this planet. I will try to make this short. I have had non stop equipment issues. A bill that keeps rising. When you try and lower the bill they send you to a salesman that just feeds you total garbage just to get his commission check. They reversed one of my bill payments to refund me 100$. This was supposed to help me. Then they say I never paid the full bill for that month and sent my account to collections. This was after only one month! They tell me I never paid the full bill amount for that month when they refunded it!

When I call them of course they tell me there is no records of the refund and that I only paid some of my bill. I have never dealt with bigger criminals in my life. Do not get Cox Cable unless you want to pay for equipment that doesn't work. Fake internet speeds and go through crazy all around problems and disappointment. I wish I could get Verizon in my area. Never had one issue with them.

Original review: July 24, 2018

When I moved out of town, I dropped my cable box to their office. They sent me an invoice for the box for not returning the box. I called them back with a receipt showing it has been returned. They did not follow up with me and put my account under collection agency. Now this is on my credit and lost point because of that. They finally called me to say they tracked the return box and that I was right. They said they would take care of the invoice but refused to send me any receipt, letter of apology and a letter showing it was their fault.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I wish I could give them no stars, but that isn't an option. We have a restaurant and upgraded to a new web-based POS system. Prior to having the system installed we contacted Cox (our internet provider) to let them know the requirements so they could do the upgrades prior to the installation of the system. They came out and did some work in preparation for the installation of the new system however it was inadequate as we did not have full functionality. When we called tech support they sent someone out a few weeks ago and that technician replaced the router but that did not appear to improve anything and he stated that what was needed was a new drop and that would require two men and he was alone.

The work was rescheduled and the second time only one technician showed up and he was told that he was there to replace the router. We explained that had been done already and he was supposed to be there to pull a new line. He stated that required 2 men and he was alone. The appointment was rescheduled yet again for Friday, July 20th between 8 and 10. The manager was at the store early to meet with the technician. The technician called when he was on his way. The manager asked him if he had a helper with him and he stated that he was alone and yet again canceled the appointment.

I spent 4 hours on the phone speaking with various customer service personnel. Every one of them gave me a different story. Every one of them saw different information on the work orders. I was even told that the technician had come out on Friday to do the work. NOT. Rescheduled again for Monday the 23rd. No one came. Called and spoke with supervisor and waited while he entered a new ticket explaining what had happened in the past. He rescheduled for the 25th but said he would contact dispatch and ask them to fast-track us. I received an email this morning at 9:30 that someone would be there today between 1 and 3. Then I received an email at 10:30 am canceling that appointment. Called again spoke with one of their other 9,000 supervisors.

All I get is "I'm sorry about that" or "I understand how you feel" accompanied by "I will place the order and a dispatch person will call you" (they never ever call) followed by "Once I place the order it's out of my hands". Clearly Cox Communications provides no customer service. Very maddening when you're trying to run a restaurant business and don't have full functionality. Not only did they cancel today's appointment via email from Northern_Virginia_Do_Not_Reply@cox.come, but they cancelled tomorrow's appointment when they scheduled today's appointment. In short, they have no intention of fixing the problem. They are incompetent and there is no one in charge of anything, no coordination - kind of like "sleeper cells".

Original review: July 23, 2018

Scheduled a technician to come out on Sunday between 8-10am. We were told to be the first appointment. Received a text that tech is on the way at 9:52 am and seconds later, "your technician has arrived at your Home". We see NO-ONE!!! We called trying to figure out what's going on. "We understand your frustration and the inconveniences", we can reschedule at a later date. We insisted Sunday PM. Dispatched called and confirmed 3 pm. Received a text again, your "tech will arrive between 3-5pm at 10:11 am, 11 mins later, "your appointment has been cancelled". We called as soon as the message came in and was already pretty upset about the situation and rest assured arrival would be at 3 pm. At 4:30 pm, no one was here. Called again, "we understand your frustration and the inconveniences"... What a great way to prison at home on a Sunday to believe in this business LIES!

Original review: July 18, 2018

We moved 5 miles away from our old address. Called beforehand and updated our new address and received a work order number and a phone number to complete a self install due to the fact we only have internet with Cox. Too easy right? Wrong... I tried to log on to pay our Cox bill today, but I can't, because for some reason we no longer have an account. There's actually three I was told by one agent for we have no Internet access due to human error. Yet not one tech or supervisor can fix this issue. I was also contacted by a supervisor via phone call and was told there was a discrepancy with our account on Monday. They had the address completely wrong and disconnected someone else's service because of the issue with our account. WTF???

However she informed me that everything would be taken care of and we would have service. Which today is not the case at all, it has been phone call after phone call talking to representatives, supervisors, and technicians. Someone really needs to listen to all the RECORDED phone calls that have been made between myself and Cox and vice versa. This has been the worst experience ever and is still ongoing. I attempted one last time to speak with a supervisor and the agent transferred me to another agent when I asked specifically for the highest ranking official he could find. I will be leaving a bad review on every site I can so no one ever has to go through what we have gone through. On a good note the internet service from Cox is standard service and works just fine when you have it. It's the customer service that makes this a ** company. And it is quite unfortunate for my family that they are the only company available for service in our area.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Very unhappy experience. Apparently COX COMMUNICATIONS has not learned from the recession. Balloon payments are a horrible business practice even on the smallest scale after what happened in 2008. COX wrangles you in with promises of great service and prices, but forget to inform you that after one year your bill will go up $30. After 2 years your bill go up another $100, totaling an increase of $130. Who in their right mind would agree to that? The excuse given by the phone representative was: "Well all the companies do it" which makes no sense to lose customers out of this shady practice, you would think that they would want to keep loyal customers.

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that these companies do not want our loyalty because if we keep hopping companies for a better rate, they can keep raising their rates and hurting customers on the ballooning payments. Conspiracy theory aside I will never recommend COX COMMUNICATIONS to anyone, or any company that promotes balloon payments in any form.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We finally gave up with Cox Communication after I really got angry yesterday when 3rd technician came to house yesterday, had totally wrong work order and we still don't have TV (after being in AZ 4 weeks). When I called then to Cox to want to get to know why they can't do their job and my call had been transferred to 5 different people (one was for Spanish speaking people) and I didn't got any answer just excuses. I told them that, "Thank you. We don't want Cox anymore." and hang up.

First technician came already on June 22nd, looked around and told that we need to lay cables first, and that Cox don't do it. We called Cox again and came out that they will lay cables. We asked them to send technician who knows what he has to do. So second one came, he didn't know that he needs to lay cables, but went to attic to see what we need, came down and told that we need to reschedule the work and it has to be the first thing in the morning as attic getting hot. Understandable, it's AZ. We rescheduled for yesterday. 3rd one came yesterday, had totally wrong work order, he didn't know that he needs to lay cables, that we have 3 TV-s (2 recorders and 1 just a box) and told us ridiculous price what Cox asking to lay cables for 3 TV-s.

It was all, I got really mad as we have had 3 different people here, heard 3 different stories why we need to reschedule again and many different prices to finish this job, during 3 weeks Cox couldn't do their job and we still don't have TV!!! We called to different company and they scheduled us for the next day, all installation is free and monthly price much better than Cox has. It shows which company cares about customers and which don't!!!

Original review: July 11, 2018

The story of what my husband and I have been through is very long so I will do my best to shorten it. We moved 11/2017. The Cox agent tried to talk my husband into a bundle that would only be $15 more than our internet only service. With hesitation I told my husband ok. The $95 bundle deal never happened. We were charged $230 the first month. I commented on how high it seemed and then thought maybe it was because they installed new cable at our home. That wasn't it. We were charged $230 (making it $135 MORE a month) than we told. I called, got told it was a mistake and they would correct it, I called again when the money hit my account, I called again and again and again.

Long run, they owed me around $540. Then they credited my account and rearranged numbers until I couldn't see straight. Today I chatted with an agent to see where my $288 refund is (that's the total after crediting my bills and so on). They "processed" it two months ago and it's in my account! Nope. No it isn't. I even called my bank and there has been nothing from Cox since I left in April. Now a "Refund Research Request" has been put in and it will take 72 hours to have someone research the invisible refund I haven't gotten. I solidly and wholeheartedly believe that this company is an overall scam. They suck customers dry until they are tired of fighting with them. I wish they wouldn't be the monopoly in the cable internet industry.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I was recently contacted by a Cox sales promotion for existing customers about an opportunity to 'upgrade' my two cable boxes which were working fine to their snazzy Contour 2 junk with the voice activated remote at no extra cost... I had to agree to a 2-year contract extension and they would upgrade my equipment and freeze my (already too high) rate for that 2 years... it sounded okay, so I agreed - and that's when the Cox nightmare began. They used to have a solutions store about 3 miles from my home - that's now closed (which I didn't know at the time), and learned the next closest store was over 15 miles away...so much for convenience - and it's not like I live in a rural area either - they've left a huge portion of a populous Washington DC suburb (tens of thousands of people) stuck without a nearby store.

I disconnected all of my old equipment and drove to their store and swapped it all out for this Contour 2 garbage. I took it home and hooked up the host box....it took about 20 minutes but I got it up and running - the voice activated remote worked, but sketchy and half the time couldn't recognize words like "guide"...so I used the keypad most of the time - that should've been my first warning...next, I hooked up the client box. It didn't work at all. It told me my cable connection was bad, so I swapped out the client for the host to test the cable with a known good box and it came up... that cable segment was fine, so I called their support and after getting bounced around and spending an hour on the phone, they told me my client box needed to be swapped out.

So the next day I drove back to the solutions store in Fairfax, Virginia on Lee Hwy, and got to work with an obnoxious, rude, arrogant piece of trash petty ** clerk who gave me another piece of garbage client box. I took it home, hooked it up and got the exact same error again. I called their support and once again was told my client box was bad... Ever since agreeing to that BS upgrade and swapping out my good equipment for bad, my cable has been down in all but one room... and I've jerked around, insulted by an obnoxious idiot in their Fairfax store, and given the runaround, ruining what had been a gorgeous weekend I had planned with my family...

I've resorted to 'downgrading' my equipment now to get my old working equipment back... I lost all my recorded shows, got jerked around and treated like trash by Cox this weekend only to be left with partial service... one of the worst, mishandled customer experiences ever... if you get that promotional call...just hang up - don't do it... because if you like getting buggered by rude obnoxious incompetent uncaring corporate pigs, just save yourself the drive and time and go sit on a sharp stick instead...it'll be less painful and save you time in the long run...

I wish I had other service provider options but I don't. Cox has a monopoly where I live - if I had alternatives, I'd dump Cox like a rotting dead rodent... and now that the current administration eliminated net neutrality rules, Cox gets to screw their monopolized population and there's not squat anyone can do about it.... this is just wrong and Cox is too... they got you by the short and curlies and don't give a damn what you think about it or how they screw you over.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Cox Communications has the most incompetent group of people working for them. We have been contacting them for 7 weeks now to get service extended to our new home. They have sent numerous techs out to the house and they all say the same thing (there is not a box close enough to pull service from). They claim to have sent an engineer out that said there was service close enough to pull from but clearly they did not come out or they would have realized they need to add a new box. My wife and I have spent hours on the phone trying to get this resolved and nobody seems to know anything. If there was another provider in our area I would definitely be using them instead. This has been the worst experience I have ever had with a service provider of any kind.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have had the worst experience of my life with a supposedly reputable business with Cox cable. I was moving to a brand new home in Norman so I went the solutions store to transfer service a week in advance thinking that should be plenty of time. They assured me it would only be a few days before they did it. After 5 days I contacted the store and the runaround begins. Since my address is new and not listed on their records or whatever, they have to send the request through their "back Office". Well nobody at the store can give me a clue as to when they will be able to install. So I keep calling and paying personal visits to the store because I run a business from home and have to have internet, So one person after another feeds me some line about how they are handling it and nothing ever happens.

Finally after 8 days of this crap, I get contacted with a hard time set to install. They will be out in two more days. They say, "Between 1 and 3. The tech will call you before they come out to assure someone will be there." I say, "Great, finally getting something done. I cannot wait any longer, it is getting ridiculous." We Friday rolls around and I never hear from anyone so I call and get someone at the solutions store telling me the tech is on his way. So after another hour I call back saying nobody ever called or came so they give me another line of BS about, "That guy should not have told you that, Call this other number."

Anyway, this is a very long story so I am trying to be brief. I find out after being on the phone for an hour with the main Cox number that the tech came to my house and nobody was home. Well they never called and thus nobody was home. So I am beyond furious now and they only say, "Well we can get someone out there in 6 days from now at the earliest." REALLY!!!! That is the best you can do? I immediately called AT&T and have someone coming in two days. So now I have to suffer through another weekend with no internet or TV after two full weeks of BS from Cox. They are so big that they don't care about my problems, but I am now on a mission to tell everyone I possibly can not to use them ever. I am a consultant to new home buyers, so that will be substantial. If I could give them 0 stars I would.

Original review: June 28, 2018

When our Modem gave up the ghost, a service tech said, "Just exchange the modem at the Cox store, it's free, as you rent the modem." To my amazement, the backup battery for the modem is an extra $50, or your phone won't work when the power goes out. We would have NEVER EVER signed up for Cox VOIP with service that goes out when the power goes out! That was part of the original phone service! The old modem came with a battery! Why should the battery for the new modem cost $50? We legally do not own ANY of that equipment! THAT IS BAIT AND SWITCH! Now their email server is down, and all my accounts (credit card, banks, etc) are linked to that, and they claim the email is free, so no refunds for service outages? Really? So they can F up my credit rating???

Original review: June 18, 2018

Cox Cable doesn't care about their existing customers. They call it "Retention" but the truth of the matter is they couldn't care less if you stay with them or not. All they care about is the number of new customers that they get but they have no interest in keeping those of us who pay our bills!! They offer a $89.99 special that is for new customers only, and they say it doesn't include installation (which the promo says is free) or the equipment, or the credit report! The entire thing is bogus. And they don't offer it to existing customers who ask for it! I've been with them a long, long time. And they couldn't care less if I stay or go. I'm going to go. Thanks, Cox, for nothing.

Original review: June 18, 2018

When we signed up for Cox, we bundled and we saw on tv that there is no contract. The joke is on us! The minute you sign on with them you are stuck in a 2 year contract and the rate keep going up. The service is poor, many time the channels freeze, the sound isn't working, but what irritates us the most is they still keep advertising no contract which is a lie.

Now we are stuck with them until the end of the year, terrible channels, constant re-runs, and I don't get half the channels I got with Dish, internet keeps going out-and how does that happen with the cables running underground, we never had a problem with dish going out unless a very big storm came in. We want to drop cox so bad but can't due to their no-contract contract. I guarantee we will go back to Dish, there must be some way to get out of the no-contract contract now so we don't have to deal with them anymore-HELP! High speed internet? Not A CHANCE-THEY SAY WE ARE GETTING THE FAST INTERNET BUT IT'S SO SLOW, WELL, I DON'T WANT THEM ANYMORE.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I didn't realize my contract was over for a month and originally sign up for basic internet for 45.99 last year and they jumped to 82.99 this year. Cox didn't warn or notify us the price change would be double! And then I immediately request to cancel since they try to give me the runaround. WARNING: When last year we did sign up with unlimited they now have changed to 1TB. Any additional usage they'll charge additional. (2 months ago I was warned with almost over usage! Which is incorrect because all I do is stream YouTube and data entry on the computer. Make sure you have a meter on how much you use data because they'll just boost your overage.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Called for help on our account, got transferred 3 times before actually speaking to someone. The representative I spoke too was very rude and could not help. I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager and he pretty much said there was no one else I could speak to. It was the worst customer service!!! My husband and I will be canceling our service and going with another provider.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I was hospitalized with my lung disease. From my hospital bed I called and spoke to a very nice guy and told him of my situation and he said that he would note my account. I asked if I could try and lower my bill and was transferred to another dept. and was told that if I tried to redo the plan that I was on for 160.00 a month that it would cost me over 200.00 a month. I came home from the hospital and called today after I made a 100.00 payment and spoke to a Salia who was worse than ANY customer service person that I have EVER spoken to. She would not work with me in any way that I could afford at this time. This has been a really stressful time for me and DID NOT need the extra stress from Cox Cable. I am seeking other avenues.

Original review: June 7, 2018

North Scottsdale. Many communities posting internet issues and cable box issues. Lasts a few minutes. Back on for a few. Repeat all day everyday. Call Cox - well it's an outage they say. Nobody can do a service call. Nothing. 8 days and counting. All day everyday. Come to find out - through various outlets of friends - well it's Cox doing their own crap to their own network for upgrade purposes but will not actually tell anyone. Outage - that's the corporate directive. And we are left holding the bag still. If you see a few Cox trucks in an area all of a sudden - get prepared. They are such liars.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I was told that I would need to be on a 24 month contract to get the special pricing and that I had 30 days from April 19th to cancel. I called back on May 17th and spoke with rep named Ebony and informed her I wanted to cancel my service due to not wanting to be contract with Cox. Ebony stated that I was not on a contract. She is not sure why the last rep stated I would be on contract and there was no need to cancel... Well fast forward tonight I went online and paid my bill and seen I am on a 24 month contract. Cox is now beginning to look a lot like Wells Fargo by letting their call center reps lie to customers to keep customers hostage vs. providing the best service possible and letting us stay due to that reason. Shame on you Cox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Right at the end of my cycle you guys throttle and big my network to the point where it drops every few minutes. It's such a disappointment. It doesn't matter how loyal you are, big corps that control ISP's will continue to rob the working class and they could care less. Even after taken to court time after time again you still continue to beg the network at the end of the pay cycle. Distasteful move. One day you will get sued for this, if you're not already.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We were loyal Cox customers for many years. But as you well know, Cox keeps increasing the bill for long term customers, so when it got up to $300 a month we just could not afford Cox anymore. So we switched to AT&T-Uverse and got a great deal, paying $200 less for the same product we had been getting from Cox. Right after the AT&T technician installed our new Uverse package, I called Cox to cancel our tv/internet/phone package. It's astonishing the attitude difference you get when you call to cancel versus when you call to sign up or order additional services. Like night and day.

In the process of talking to the Cox cancellation agent, it was very obvious that he was very irritated that I was calling to cancel Cox after we already had the AT&T installed. Because I think these cancellation agents probably get a bonus the more Cox customers they talk out of cancelling. So here is the crucial point. I asked the cancellation agent if there was a grace period after cancelling the internet whereby I could still access my email to get important emails forwarded to my new AT&T email acct, notify people of my new att email address, etc... HE SAID ABSOLUTELY NOT, that the minute he hit the cancel button, I would have no access to my Cox email. He said that to continue to have access to my Cox email account I would have to keep paying for my Cox email.

And since I was breaking up the "package" deal of tv/internet/ phone, by cancelling the tv and phone, from that point on I would have to pay even more to keep the Cox internet going (to have access to my email). He said it would cost me $89 month. Since I thought he was telling me the truth, I had no choice but to keep the account open. Of course, with that price, I was intending to deal with my old Cox emails and notifying people of my new AT&T email address ASAP.

But after thinking more about what he told me, I decided to go online and "chat" with another Cox customer agent. Boy, what a difference. This agent totally contradicted what the phone cancellation agent had told me. He said there was DEFINITELY A 90 DAY GRACE PERIOD TO ACCESS YOUR COX EMAIL AFTER CANCELING YOUR COX EMAIL ACCOUNT. He went on further to say that the guy I talked to in the cancellation department told me there was no grace period because he was trying to get me to keep my internet account open at $89 a month.

Needless to say, I am outraged. In my opinion, this is fraudulent behavior by Cox Cable. Since I now still had to call the cancellation department to cancel my internet, I let them have it. But guess what happened? This time the agent I got said she could not find our account on her computer to access it to cancel the internet. I KID YOU NOT. Even when I gave her the account number, she claimed she could not locate it. I asked to speak to a supervisor... She said she could not refer me to a supervisor until she had located our account. After she put me on hold for awhile (I had been on the phone over 20 minutes at this point) she came back on and said she finally found our acct and that she would cancel the internet.

I then told her I wanted to file a complaint against the agent in the cancellation dept that had given me fraudulent information. I do not believe that this guy did not know the policy about the 90 day grace period. I think he purposely gave me incorrect info to scare me into keep paying $89 to keep my internet account open. So she said that she was filling out an incident report on this agent. Still not satisfied that any action would be taken against this fraudulent agent, I asked to speak to a supervisor. The agent said that it would do no good to talk to a supervisor, that all the supervisor would do is to tell her (the agent) to fill out the form she already filled out about the incident.

I kept demanding to talk to supervisor and after a long while one got one the phone. I told the supervisor the whole story again and told her I wanted this incident to be passed on to the supervisor's supervisor, and up the chain of command until my complaint reached the highest up it could go. I also told her I was contacting the corporate office. I sincerely believe that other Cox Internet customers are being purposely given fraudulent information by Cox's cancellation department to increase Cox's profits. By this posting, I am hoping to keep other Cox Internet customers from being lied to when they call to cancel their Cox Internet.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Ever since I upgraded to the contour 2, my service has been very spotty, intermittent at best. Cable television constantly freezes up then reboots itself. Can’t go ten minutes without this happening. Had multiple technicians out, no help. Just called Cox again to complain and I was “disconnected”.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I started my journey to try and lower the price of my monthly bill of my internet about a month ago. I went into the store nearest me and spoke to a couple of employees who tried to help me lower my bill. I went in with a bill of a little over $100 hours for 300 speed internet and left paying $70 with the promise that my next bill would be about the same. Well a month later I get a bill and it states that I owe $117 and some change. I go and look at the bill and somehow I have a late statement as well as my regular bill which was about $90. So they must have charged me the wrong price in the store just to satisfy me and make me have a late charge. I then call today and spoke to a representative who advised me that I have something called Contour for my app or tablet that I didn't even know about. I tell her I don't want this and the whole point of going in before my last promotion was even up was to try and lower my bill.

I went down to 100 internet and my bill went up $30. It was ridiculous. Well she tells me that there is a promotion on there and that we can get the Contour taken off and my bill should go down to about $58 which sounded good to me. She then transferred me to someone who didn't even realize they were getting a transfer call. I explained to her the situation and she then informs me that the discount I was getting was for a bundle and that I had no other options to save money that I should just keep the Contour but she could save me about $2 hours for a modem discount. I specifically asked her if I would have to change modems in order to get this discount and she stated no. I was so upset that I just told her not to change anything and I was tired of being lied to and told different things and I disconnected the call.

I then went ahead and pay $120 bill even though I think it's ridiculous that I should have had to pay that so that my internet wouldn't get interrupted. After I calm down for a minute I downloaded the Contour app to see what it was about and I couldn't get it to work. I went to the chat on my Cox app and ask for help. The agent sent me a link on how to work it and that was great. I also asked about the modem discount since I had thought about it and $2 savings is better than nothing. I was informed that I would have to downgrade my modem in order to get this discount. Which I had specifically just asked not even 30 minutes ago. I am so tired of talking to 20 different people and getting 20 different stories. I would just like to get decent internet at a decent price.

I was also told to look into Cox Connect which apparently is internet for $10. This is something I should qualify for as my daughter gets free lunches at her school but then I am also don't qualify for it because I've had this internet in the last 90 days. I don't understand obviously. I'm struggling and my daughter gets free lunches so I don't understand why I wouldn't qualify. I'm so frustrated with Cox right now. I am tempted to just leave and go over to AT&T. Cheaper internet and I wouldn't have to deal with this BS. I have been a loyal customer with Cox for probably about 7 years now. I have changed addresses a couple of times and I've never had any problems. I even had two accounts at one time one for me and one for my father. This is so crazy to me that I cannot get a straight answer from a representative and that everybody has a different story. Totally unacceptable Cox.

Not sure about Cox Cable?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Satellite and Cable TV Providers for you.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Atlanta
GA
www.cox.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business