Cox Cable

Cox Cable

4.0/5 (608 ratings)

About Cox Cable

Cox is a digital cable, telecommunications and home automation service provider. Cox offers packages and deals that you can customize based on your needs. Bundle prices start at $89.99 a month.

Pros

• Multiple plan options
  • Compatible with streaming apps
  • Bundle cable, internet and home phone

Cons

• Rates often increase after intro period

Bottom Line

Cox offers several cable-only and internet-cable bundle packages suitable for most customers. Costs can get high on bigger bundle packages, but Cox has many attractive introductory offers.

Top Cox Cable Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Verified

Our research of various providers found that COX has the best cost, reliability, service, programs and voice-activated program selection. Their follow up service is exceptional an...

Verified

Have had very few TV issues over the 30 years of service. Customer service has been great helping me resolve all issues with most of them being resolved with a reboot. The only is...

Cox cable packages

Cox offers several options for cable TV, including cable-only options and plans that bundle cable with internet, home phone and smart home automation. If you’re looking for television service, you can choose between traditional cable TV and Cox Contour, which includes additional integration for streaming apps.

Cox Contour

Cox Contour offers a more robust channel lineup and additional features not included in Cox’s basic TV plans.

With Cox Contour, you can use apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube to stream additional content. You still need to have an account with these services to access the content — the subscriptions are not included in the price of Contour. Contour simply allows you to access the apps from your cable TV connection and standard remote instead of switching to an external app like a Fire Stick or Roku.

Cox Contour subscriptions also include popular channels like ESPN, Discovery, History, A&E, TNT and HGTV.

Cox cable plans

For cable-only plans, customers can choose between the TV starter package or the Cox Contour TV package. All packages include local channels, free HD programming and access to the Contour and TV Everywhere apps.

Cox TV StarterCox Contour TV
Starting cost$25/month$69.99/month
Channels75140+
On-screen apps including Netflix
Voice remote with universal search
Cox TV Starter$25/month75
Cox Contour TV$69.99/month140+

Cox pricing

Prices for Cox Cable start as low as $25 a month but can exceed $200 a month depending on the package you select. Cox offers two basic plans:

• TV Starter is Cox’s basic cable package. It includes around 75 channels and costs $25 a month.
  • Contour TV is Cox’s highly customizable cable package. You can customize it with premium channels, channel packs geared to your specific tastes and DVR recording for up to 24 shows at once. Contour TV starts at $69.99 a month.

Cox cable bundles

If you’re looking to bundle service, you may be able to save some money. Bundle packages start as low as $75 per month and have introductory rates ranging from $75 to $180 per month. Plans can include cable, internet, home phone and home automation.

Cox cable and internet bundles

Bundle CostInternetPhoneHome Automation
Cox Bronze, 140+ channels$109.99Up to 150 MbpsUnlimited long distance
Cox Silver, 170+ channels$129.99Up to 500 MbpsUnlimited long distance
Cox Platinum, 250+ channels$179.99Up to 940 MbpsUnlimited long distance
Bundle Cost$55.98$75.98$135.98$64.99$89.99$159.99$109.99$129.99$179.99
CableContour StreamContour StreamContour StreamCox TV Starter, 75+ channelsCox Bronze, 140+ ChannelsCox Platinum, 250+ channelsCox Bronze, 140+ channelsCox Silver, 170+ channelsCox Platinum, 250+ channels
InternetInternet Essential 50Internet Preferred 150Internet GigablastUp to 10 MbpsUp to 150 MbpsUp to 940 MbpsUp to 150 MbpsUp to 500 MbpsUp to 940 Mbps
PhoneUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distanceUnlimited long distance
Home Automation

Cox Cable FAQ

Is Cox Cable available in my area?
Cox cable is available in Arkansas, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Virginia.
Does Cox charge late fees?
Yes. If you make a late payment, you are subject to a fee of up to $25.
What premium channels does Cox offer?
Cox’s highest-tier plan offers more than 250 channels. A full list can be found on the company’s website, but popular channels include ESPN, A&E, Discovery, History and HGTV. Cox also has premium movie channels included in some packages, such as HBO, Showtime and Starz.
What are Cox TV bundles?
A bundle is when two or more services are combined into one package for a customer. Cox lets you bundle cable with internet, home phone and/or home automation. Bundling services together often comes at a reduced rate.
Are there ever Cox TV deals?
Cox regularly offers special introductory rates. These special rates usually last for the first 12 months of your service and typically require a contract commitment. Prices can, and usually do, go up after the lock-in rate term expires.

Is Cox Cable good?

Cox is one of the nation’s leading providers of cable and internet. It’s widely available in many states and can be a solid choice for your TV needs. We recommend looking at all the packages available to decide what level of package you truly need or want before signing a contract. Snagging an introductory deal is a great way to get affordable service for a 12-month period, but be aware that this price will change. Don’t be afraid to call and renegotiate your bill after the introductory period has ended.

Cox Cable Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox Cable?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I contacted Cox to look at switching my business phone to a mobile phone through my personal carrier (saving about $100/mo), they told me that my contract ended 2 months prior and there would be no fees. Now that I have switched they are charging me over $500 for breaking a contract that is on "auto renew" for my phone and another $500 for my internet.... Bad Business Cox!! Will be glad to cut your cord!

Original review: May 19, 2022

I've had COX Cable for a little over a year now, and in that time I've had nothing but Internet issues. I have their preferred 150 package with the contour box. I've gone through more than 8 technicians, one of which was a direct supervisor, had a dedicated house line put in, more calls to customer service than I can remember or count. I keep BER testing notes about readings the technicians are getting. I've triggered pole maintenance by COX and this has still not fixed my issues. Even with working I run an E-Commerce business which requires me to attend, and host many zoom meetings. Most times I can't keep a meeting going, audio/video repeatedly goes out.

As I am writing this today I am trying to watch an episode of HALO. An hour show I started an hour ago to the minute I have only managed to watch 8.5 minutes worth because my internet continues to go in and out. They push their package on you saying you won't have to pay for repairs if you add this protection to your bill. Shouldn't have to anyway since the service never works. In all honesty with this lack of service, and knowledge my service should be free for the remainder of my contract! It seems to have been good for a little under a month since last tech visit, April 16 2022, and now all this week, nothing but in and out spotty service.

A note about the customer service. They seem genuine in wanting to help but are reading off a script. It always comes down to how many devices they see connected. For them, anything more than a contour box is too much. Per their own techs, devices connected is never the issue yet they peddle this as the customers fault. Also if anyone has issues with their contour recordings, this is an issue with them however they will not disclose this. They have cloud issues and this has been an ongoing issue for quite a while now. You can do the research on this for yourself. I wish there was a better option out there for internet, but at this point, dial-up is faster IMO.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2022

My mother is 88 years old and her only link to the outside world is her internet. Her company at night are the streaming channels that we pay for. Her internet pulses on and off continuously making it impossible to access things on her computer. While trying to watch a program on Hulu or any other streaming service it freezes or goes blank approximately every 2 minutes. When we've called Cox about the problem they keep you busy for about an hour turning things on turning things off only to tell you that they don't know what the problem is. (All things we'd already tried).

I live approximately 2 miles away from her and our service is adequate, however we have friends that live near my mother who are experiencing the same problem with no resolve. There is no lapse in the bill for phone and internet sent out every month. She lives in the 85205 area. Her phone and internet had been carried by CenturyLink, but the phone service buzzed constantly and they were unable to resolve this so she switched to Cox. Her phone no longer buzzes, but the Internet won't stay up.

Original review: April 7, 2022

Cox thinks it is ok to limit its customers internet access. They "filtered" the ports on the router (which means closed the ports) and refused to reopen them. They think it is ok to do this like some kind of nanny state nonsense. I can handle MY OWN internet security. They have disallowed me access to my Brothers Plex server. This is not their concern and none of their business. We pay full price for their so called "service" but do not get full internet access. That's just loose butt hole and they can go 'ef their selves. After their little discount for the dissatisfaction, we will be switching to Century Link fiber. Century Link does not take it upon themselves to decide for their customers what they can access or not access. I'd give a big fat zero on the stars here if I could. Cox needs to add the name Suckers or Sockets to their name.

Original review: March 31, 2022

We had Cox for about 5 years. After selling our home to downsize, we rented An apartment for 7 months and supposedly transferred our Cox account. My wife received a text message with a fantastic rate. Needless to say, when the bill came it was around 60.00 more a month than quoted. We called Cox and basically received the run around. We were connected to a hospitality division, in which they adjusted the bill somewhat. That lasted for one month and again no one could help. We went back to the Manchester store and one girl told us when looking at our text that it was a computer generated mistake. I finally talked to one young man who said we were in the right, tried to fix the bill but couldn’t, so he gave us a credit for the month. (Actually the next month I called and he adjusted the invoice again) Unfortunately he left Cox.

When we moved, we switched providers due to the hassles with chasing down billing issues. When I cancelled my Cox account, the agent was very nice and offered me the price I received in the text. However, I had everything in place and decided not to stay with Cox. I discussed my balance with her as the month was prorated.

Now, after 3 different discussions with Cox and everyone passing me along, I am being hit with a termination fee…my point; I did not sign a contract as I am month to month. I was told That in one of my invoices it mentions a year contract. Again my point is that I never agreed or signed. After being a good customer for years, and being lied to, I cannot reach anyone to help get to the bottom of these issues.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I have been quoted for a price of 159.00 for the next 2 years and yet my bill is always higher. When I call I am told the issue will be resolved but that's a lie. I am not a fan of being lied to in order for you to get my business. Have been dealing with this issues for longer than I wanted.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

I thought Comcast/Xfinity was bad back east. Cox brings gouging to a new level. After the 2 latest rounds of price increases and useless non-service customer service (try wasting your time on their chat - an hour to answer one simple question) and a rude "retention specialist" that told me "Hey, these are the market prices and you are going to have to live with it" This is a real quote. I was really motivated to shop around (thank you Ryan from the "Retention Team", and now I have more and better channels, HD services on all TVs, DVR on all TVs and for about half price. Will it last? I know better and will switch again when this service price goes up, but it won't be for a while.

Of course, as soon as I returned the equipment and terminated the account, I am being bombarded with Cox offers; "we will give you the old price", "we will take 40% off", "come back to what you love"...Not falling for it. Yes, it took a little time to cut the cord, but IT'S WORTH IT. Contact me if any of you have questions. And of course, now I have to resolve billing hassles as to my refund - we always paid ahead.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

We have had Cox for 6 mos now and I really miss our old provider where we used to live. We had fiber internet with no data caps for half the price. We are a large family, work from home, and Cox’s data caps are arbitrarily restrictive. When I called in because this is our first month close to going over, the rep tried to sell me 50 GBs for $30, even though I have a month’s forgiveness and our plan only charges $10 for 50 GB. She also kept telling me to use the app to track our data usage, which is why I called in in the first place. So I am typing this review using my cell data plan and our family of 6 is rationing internet usage for the last week of the billing cycle. Shareholders must be ecstatic. I’d dump these clowns in a heartbeat if I could. :(

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I would give zero stars if I could but it is unfortunate that I have to give at least one star here. If you have any features /services on your Cox account and if you want to have any removed, they will make it extremely difficult for you to remove because they want to keep billing you. If you call or chat online to try and remove any service, ask for a confirmation# or a work order# as they will continue to charge you with hopes that you will not notice.

If it is still on your account and make another attempt to contact them and if you do not have any proof, they will insist that the request was NOT completed previously and they will NOT credit you. Unless you get a confirmation and are able to prove that it was removed, you will keep getting charged. They will NOT prorate or credit you as they are in the business of trying to get money from you. They are an unethical company and I would drop them for another provider if I had other options in my area. Beware of their dirty tactics.

Resolution response: Jan. 24, 2022

I called Cox in another attempt to get the charge removed and their Loyalty Department resolved it within 1 minute. Thank you Cox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

My whole life I avoided home internet knowing I was going to get scammed and Cox proved me right. I signed up and installed my modem/router myself. My internet didn't work after troubleshooting with Cox on the phone so they said they needed to send someone out. The person arrived and didn't touch anything and left saying I had signal according to their handheld device. After calling my modem/router company I found out it was Cox's settings on their end that were wrong. So I called Cox back and they said I was right. They needed to adjust their system and everything worked fine. Then they hit me with a $100 in person service fee that I was NEVER told about and no one ever needed to come out here in the first place. Their customer service would only give me a credit of $30 on my account which turned out to be $26.

Cox Cable Company Information