Cox Cable
Based on 219 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Cox Cable

1063 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

Cox Cable doesn't care about their existing customers. They call it "Retention" but the truth of the matter is they couldn't care less if you stay with them or not. All they care about is the number of new customers that they get but they have no interest in keeping those of us who pay our bills!! They offer a $89.99 special that is for new customers only, and they say it doesn't include installation (which the promo says is free) or the equipment, or the credit report! The entire thing is bogus. And they don't offer it to existing customers who ask for it! I've been with them a long, long time. And they couldn't care less if I stay or go. I'm going to go. Thanks, Cox, for nothing.

Original review: June 18, 2018

When we signed up for Cox, we bundled and we saw on tv that there is no contract. The joke is on us! The minute you sign on with them you are stuck in a 2 year contract and the rate keep going up. The service is poor, many time the channels freeze, the sound isn't working, but what irritates us the most is they still keep advertising no contract which is a lie.

Now we are stuck with them until the end of the year, terrible channels, constant re-runs, and I don't get half the channels I got with Dish, internet keeps going out-and how does that happen with the cables running underground, we never had a problem with dish going out unless a very big storm came in. We want to drop cox so bad but can't due to their no-contract contract. I guarantee we will go back to Dish, there must be some way to get out of the no-contract contract now so we don't have to deal with them anymore-HELP! High speed internet? Not A CHANCE-THEY SAY WE ARE GETTING THE FAST INTERNET BUT IT'S SO SLOW, WELL, I DON'T WANT THEM ANYMORE.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I didn't realize my contract was over for a month and originally sign up for basic internet for 45.99 last year and they jumped to 82.99 this year. Cox didn't warn or notify us the price change would be double! And then I immediately request to cancel since they try to give me the runaround. WARNING: When last year we did sign up with unlimited they now have changed to 1TB. Any additional usage they'll charge additional. (2 months ago I was warned with almost over usage! Which is incorrect because all I do is stream YouTube and data entry on the computer. Make sure you have a meter on how much you use data because they'll just boost your overage.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Called for help on our account, got transferred 3 times before actually speaking to someone. The representative I spoke too was very rude and could not help. I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager and he pretty much said there was no one else I could speak to. It was the worst customer service!!! My husband and I will be canceling our service and going with another provider.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I was hospitalized with my lung disease. From my hospital bed I called and spoke to a very nice guy and told him of my situation and he said that he would note my account. I asked if I could try and lower my bill and was transferred to another dept. and was told that if I tried to redo the plan that I was on for 160.00 a month that it would cost me over 200.00 a month. I came home from the hospital and called today after I made a 100.00 payment and spoke to a Salia who was worse than ANY customer service person that I have EVER spoken to. She would not work with me in any way that I could afford at this time. This has been a really stressful time for me and DID NOT need the extra stress from Cox Cable. I am seeking other avenues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: June 7, 2018

North Scottsdale. Many communities posting internet issues and cable box issues. Lasts a few minutes. Back on for a few. Repeat all day everyday. Call Cox - well it's an outage they say. Nobody can do a service call. Nothing. 8 days and counting. All day everyday. Come to find out - through various outlets of friends - well it's Cox doing their own crap to their own network for upgrade purposes but will not actually tell anyone. Outage - that's the corporate directive. And we are left holding the bag still. If you see a few Cox trucks in an area all of a sudden - get prepared. They are such liars.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I was told that I would need to be on a 24 month contract to get the special pricing and that I had 30 days from April 19th to cancel. I called back on May 17th and spoke with rep named Ebony and informed her I wanted to cancel my service due to not wanting to be contract with Cox. Ebony stated that I was not on a contract. She is not sure why the last rep stated I would be on contract and there was no need to cancel... Well fast forward tonight I went online and paid my bill and seen I am on a 24 month contract. Cox is now beginning to look a lot like Wells Fargo by letting their call center reps lie to customers to keep customers hostage vs. providing the best service possible and letting us stay due to that reason. Shame on you Cox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Right at the end of my cycle you guys throttle and big my network to the point where it drops every few minutes. It's such a disappointment. It doesn't matter how loyal you are, big corps that control ISP's will continue to rob the working class and they could care less. Even after taken to court time after time again you still continue to beg the network at the end of the pay cycle. Distasteful move. One day you will get sued for this, if you're not already.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We were loyal Cox customers for many years. But as you well know, Cox keeps increasing the bill for long term customers, so when it got up to $300 a month we just could not afford Cox anymore. So we switched to AT&T-Uverse and got a great deal, paying $200 less for the same product we had been getting from Cox. Right after the AT&T technician installed our new Uverse package, I called Cox to cancel our tv/internet/phone package. It's astonishing the attitude difference you get when you call to cancel versus when you call to sign up or order additional services. Like night and day.

In the process of talking to the Cox cancellation agent, it was very obvious that he was very irritated that I was calling to cancel Cox after we already had the AT&T installed. Because I think these cancellation agents probably get a bonus the more Cox customers they talk out of cancelling. So here is the crucial point. I asked the cancellation agent if there was a grace period after cancelling the internet whereby I could still access my email to get important emails forwarded to my new AT&T email acct, notify people of my new att email address, etc... HE SAID ABSOLUTELY NOT, that the minute he hit the cancel button, I would have no access to my Cox email. He said that to continue to have access to my Cox email account I would have to keep paying for my Cox email.

And since I was breaking up the "package" deal of tv/internet/ phone, by cancelling the tv and phone, from that point on I would have to pay even more to keep the Cox internet going (to have access to my email). He said it would cost me $89 month. Since I thought he was telling me the truth, I had no choice but to keep the account open. Of course, with that price, I was intending to deal with my old Cox emails and notifying people of my new AT&T email address ASAP.

But after thinking more about what he told me, I decided to go online and "chat" with another Cox customer agent. Boy, what a difference. This agent totally contradicted what the phone cancellation agent had told me. He said there was DEFINITELY A 90 DAY GRACE PERIOD TO ACCESS YOUR COX EMAIL AFTER CANCELING YOUR COX EMAIL ACCOUNT. He went on further to say that the guy I talked to in the cancellation department told me there was no grace period because he was trying to get me to keep my internet account open at $89 a month.

Needless to say, I am outraged. In my opinion, this is fraudulent behavior by Cox Cable. Since I now still had to call the cancellation department to cancel my internet, I let them have it. But guess what happened? This time the agent I got said she could not find our account on her computer to access it to cancel the internet. I KID YOU NOT. Even when I gave her the account number, she claimed she could not locate it. I asked to speak to a supervisor... She said she could not refer me to a supervisor until she had located our account. After she put me on hold for awhile (I had been on the phone over 20 minutes at this point) she came back on and said she finally found our acct and that she would cancel the internet.

I then told her I wanted to file a complaint against the agent in the cancellation dept that had given me fraudulent information. I do not believe that this guy did not know the policy about the 90 day grace period. I think he purposely gave me incorrect info to scare me into keep paying $89 to keep my internet account open. So she said that she was filling out an incident report on this agent. Still not satisfied that any action would be taken against this fraudulent agent, I asked to speak to a supervisor. The agent said that it would do no good to talk to a supervisor, that all the supervisor would do is to tell her (the agent) to fill out the form she already filled out about the incident.

I kept demanding to talk to supervisor and after a long while one got one the phone. I told the supervisor the whole story again and told her I wanted this incident to be passed on to the supervisor's supervisor, and up the chain of command until my complaint reached the highest up it could go. I also told her I was contacting the corporate office. I sincerely believe that other Cox Internet customers are being purposely given fraudulent information by Cox's cancellation department to increase Cox's profits. By this posting, I am hoping to keep other Cox Internet customers from being lied to when they call to cancel their Cox Internet.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Ever since I upgraded to the contour 2, my service has been very spotty, intermittent at best. Cable television constantly freezes up then reboots itself. Can’t go ten minutes without this happening. Had multiple technicians out, no help. Just called Cox again to complain and I was “disconnected”.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I started my journey to try and lower the price of my monthly bill of my internet about a month ago. I went into the store nearest me and spoke to a couple of employees who tried to help me lower my bill. I went in with a bill of a little over $100 hours for 300 speed internet and left paying $70 with the promise that my next bill would be about the same. Well a month later I get a bill and it states that I owe $117 and some change. I go and look at the bill and somehow I have a late statement as well as my regular bill which was about $90. So they must have charged me the wrong price in the store just to satisfy me and make me have a late charge. I then call today and spoke to a representative who advised me that I have something called Contour for my app or tablet that I didn't even know about. I tell her I don't want this and the whole point of going in before my last promotion was even up was to try and lower my bill.

I went down to 100 internet and my bill went up $30. It was ridiculous. Well she tells me that there is a promotion on there and that we can get the Contour taken off and my bill should go down to about $58 which sounded good to me. She then transferred me to someone who didn't even realize they were getting a transfer call. I explained to her the situation and she then informs me that the discount I was getting was for a bundle and that I had no other options to save money that I should just keep the Contour but she could save me about $2 hours for a modem discount. I specifically asked her if I would have to change modems in order to get this discount and she stated no. I was so upset that I just told her not to change anything and I was tired of being lied to and told different things and I disconnected the call.

I then went ahead and pay $120 bill even though I think it's ridiculous that I should have had to pay that so that my internet wouldn't get interrupted. After I calm down for a minute I downloaded the Contour app to see what it was about and I couldn't get it to work. I went to the chat on my Cox app and ask for help. The agent sent me a link on how to work it and that was great. I also asked about the modem discount since I had thought about it and $2 savings is better than nothing. I was informed that I would have to downgrade my modem in order to get this discount. Which I had specifically just asked not even 30 minutes ago. I am so tired of talking to 20 different people and getting 20 different stories. I would just like to get decent internet at a decent price.

I was also told to look into Cox Connect which apparently is internet for $10. This is something I should qualify for as my daughter gets free lunches at her school but then I am also don't qualify for it because I've had this internet in the last 90 days. I don't understand obviously. I'm struggling and my daughter gets free lunches so I don't understand why I wouldn't qualify. I'm so frustrated with Cox right now. I am tempted to just leave and go over to AT&T. Cheaper internet and I wouldn't have to deal with this BS. I have been a loyal customer with Cox for probably about 7 years now. I have changed addresses a couple of times and I've never had any problems. I even had two accounts at one time one for me and one for my father. This is so crazy to me that I cannot get a straight answer from a representative and that everybody has a different story. Totally unacceptable Cox.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Cox shuts down our internet Everytime I download a movie. They say it's copyright infringement. If it's on the world wide web I should have access to it. If Cox doesn't want me to download it, then Cox needs to go after those people who are uploading these movies. Stop the source not the person wanting to watch these movies that are no longer at the box office. It's like putting a cake in a room full of fat people and tell them they can't have any. Ok Cox, Quit putting out the cake. Take that step. Or quit shutting down my service for just trying to watch a movie.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Cox cut all my services off. Took 3 hrs to restore only to cut it back off after 1 hour, they needed to send a tech out to verify my equipment. Then on 4/30/18 I paid $275.00 then 5 days later they mention I owed $100.03 then the next day send me a bill for $188.00 after they mention my bill is $226.00 per month. Today was the last straw. I paid $515.87 Today. I had just paid $568.00 on 2/09/18 Which the tech promised to call me 2/12/18 which he never did to give a extension, so I called yesterday 2/21/18 and Cox said my services wouldn't be interrupted until 3/11/18 = Total $ 1084.00 this Month. I spent a total of 5 hrs. on the phone today, spoke with 18 reps/ 2 supervisors only for them completely shut my account down.

I have been with Cox for over 30 yrs. 8 yrs with this account. I'm a Veteran. My personal bank account was hacked and I brought this to Cox attention around mid January which I explained I never missed a payment of $300.00+ per mo. for over 3 yrs. In 2016 they sent me a coupon to bundle my services and I did and all Hell has broken out since. I was paying $121.00 per month and upgrade to more equipment because I have 23 TVs, (8) CABLE BOXES, 12 MINI BOXES. Cox mention my bill would be around $ 226.00 per mo. and when I received my first bill it was $248.0. A week after the upgrade they sent out a Sub-contractor. He mess up everything. His worked knock out 286 houses in my neighborhood. They sent out 6 techs, 2 Bucket Trucks and it took 2 days to rewire my home.

A few weeks later all the equipment started acting up in different areas of my home. So without my permission they upgraded to Contour which my bill went up another $40.00 For the past 2 yrs. 7 days out of the week I have had to call Cox 5-6 days spending avg. 3-4 hrs on the phone. Cox sent a total of 16 wrong cable boxes, 3 wrong modems. They use to have a office within 1 mile of my residence, now closed, I had to drive over 20 miles for the closest office, but the distribution center is only 3 miles from my home.

I know I have lost a minimum 2 months of work. ($5000.00) in lost wages, driven over 1000 miles back in forth, had over 25 techs in my home. Spent over 2000 hours on the phone trying to fix issues. Over 18 tech appointments never showed up or call and or reschedule. My bill suppose to been around $265.00 which the last 6 month it's been over $300.00 which I know they have been overcharging me for years and I just could not take it and would even call to dispute.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Horrible in store customer service. Guys who come to your house are often not employees of Cox, but employed by a company that Cox contracts with. Too pricey. Cannot get the channels we want without paying sky high prices.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Pay too much for channels that I do not watch. It would be nice if You ask what we like to see. Give us a choice as to what type of programs we would like to watch. I know you have to broadcast something for all your viewers.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Their service is good, no problems with reception but they are too expensive. They do have an app so you can watch TV on your tablet or phone, I love that. But they don't have enough stores, so the wait is very long if you have to go in. I don't like the way their DVR screen looks, when you're looking for movies you've recorded. It also doesn't tell you if you're trying to record the same show twice, it lets you. That is a pain and take up time looking to see if you've recorded something twice, especially if you record a lot of shows.

Original review: May 13, 2018

The continued increases for cable TV will soon force me discontinue using this provider. I'm a 100% disabled veteran on a fixed income. Any increase affects my life considerably.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My cable bill has gone from 64.00 in 2010 to 92.00. I have cancelled the extra channels like TCM, the SportsChannel, Encore movie channel, etc. When I did that a year and a half ago, I was able to bring my bill down about $20.00. Since then they have raised the prices so that once again my bill is over $90.00 and is scheduled to increase at the end of the month. All of this and service is the same, no extra channels, nothing to substantiate the increase in cost. I don't want MTV, HBO, SHOWTIME, ETC. I have to subscribe to premium service so I can watch HGTV, and the Hallmark channels and Fox News. That is what I can view for my $90.00. Highway Robbery!!!

Original review: May 12, 2018

They give so many sports stations yet no person in my family watches them. If you bundle they give you calling to Mexico which you pay for but if you ask to remove it you can't afford their service.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Really it's terrible, every few months they increase the price, it's ridiculous, like we are retired, fix income. And we cannot get Any other companies because only Cox in our area.

Original review: May 11, 2018

They charge way too much and don't provide any quality customer service and due to their "gentleman's agreement" with other companies, there is no alternative.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Always willing/flexible to help in making changes to my service when needed and very few disruptions in service. Great channel selection and easy to understand packages.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Many problems with their service. I had trouble pressing buttons on remote. To turn on TV required many tries of on, off, on, off, unplug, disconnect, reconnect. Then playback of a show I had recorded made TV go black. The new box came without power cord. Then reconnecting box was not set properly to have any sound. Cable guy was no show at first day's appointment. Maybe I can do without recordings and just use On Demand for a series show I missed.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The rates are really high. It was a lot better when we had free service. They keep increasing their cost for everything. They charge for each TV you have connected to their service.

Original review: May 10, 2018

This Cox company is the only cable co in our city so they can charge whatever they want because no competition. I wish that their monopoly were cut off so there will be more affordable for senior like myself that they are on a fix income.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have been a Cox subscriber for 2 weeks and I could not be more disappointed. I know, 2 weeks isn’t that long and even seems to weaken my case, but check it out... I am 51 years old. I have been around for the entire ride; seen it all. Yep... early 80’s wall-mount phones, VCR’s and TV’s you changed by hand! Late 80’s on-shoulder VHS camcorders. Early 90’s, 20lb, 2 hand “cellphones.” Late 90’s beepers & early 2000’s dial-up when it would take 12 hours to download a movie... “streaming”?? Forget. About. It!

I have seen it all! And in a mere 2 weeks Cox Cable has proven to be THE WORST internet service provider I have ever experienced! We’ve been in the Chicagoland area our entire lives and have ALWAYS had to choose between excellent providers (comparatively speaking) and none of them were as bad as the crappy, 2003-era internet service that Cox Cable has “provided” in our FIRST 2 weeks. If you have a choice... choose ANYTHING other than Cox Cable in the Phoenix, AZ area unless spotty, 2003-era dial-up is your thing!

Original review: May 9, 2018

I received the new contour box Friday. The box would not function correctly, then finally it started working til Saturday am. By Saturday pm working again. Sunday am box would not turn on. Sunday eve it turned on. Monday and Tuesday the same issue. Even the WiFi is equally as awful. Stay away from Cox TV. When TV becomes frustrating instead of relaxing due to lousy cable companies it's time to move on and try something new. Cox customer service is a waste of time. My entire 2 years with Cox has been simply awful. I'm done with Cox permanently.

Original review: May 9, 2018

They keep taking away channels and putting in a higher pay rate package, and raising the prices of the basic access. Plus when talking to Cox agents - one does not know what the other is doing. Some are more informed than others and nothing consistent. If I had a way to watch the few TV shows I watch (old sitcoms) and the local news. I HATE COX CABLE because of this. FIOS not available in our area or I would look into those reviews. I have too many huge surrounding trees to be able to use an antenna or I would.

Original review: May 9, 2018

They ruined my family’s Christmas Holiday. Had no internet or tv service from Dec 16th 2017 until Feb 10th 2018 due to an undisclosed field service issue.

Original review: May 9, 2018

My Internet speed has slowed terribly since Congress repealed the net neutrality law. A Cox technician promised that wouldn't happen. Liar! I also wish my Basic Plan would give me the choice of which channels I can watch. Just a few channels is all I need.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs