Cox Cable

Cox Cable

Last updated: April 23, 2018

996 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

If you deal with them, you have to ask a ton of questions because they won't tell you all the ins and outs. We had Dish Network but $150 a month just to watch tv less than an hour a day was too much, especially considering our internet is another $80 a month. So, we talked to Cox and they gave us a bundle price for TV, internet, and cable, and total it came up to $135, plus $35 for install.

In that $135 we were paying for (3) of the "satellite" boxes so we could watch tv in our room. They installed our new cable this past Saturday, and after they left, we attempted to use the tv in our bedroom. You couldn't pause, rewind, or anything. When you tried to, it gave you an error stating you needed a subscription to be able to do that. So we called customer service, and they said "Yes that is correct, on your current service you cannot do that, so you have to pay extra". What??? Then why I am paying extra for every one of these "satellite" boxes???

So I called them back this morning to cancel the service, and found out they'd charged me over $200 for the install and NOT $35 like they said. They now state that running cable isn't part of the install. Ummm, no one told me that when I ordered it. Is this like a surprise party or something? And now, in the process of trying to cancel this crap and just go back to basic internet, they're trying to tell me it is going to cost MORE ($140/mo) for just the internet and basic local channels than this crap they had me on. HUH??? WTF? This is ridiculous. This is why I left Cox over 15 years ago and went to Dish. I knew better than to give Cox another shot... I friggin' knew better. Every experience I've ever had with them has ended up bad.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I am a Cox customer for 6 years. These two recent months they increased my bill every month. I called them to ask what's going on. A very rude and aggressive agent replied my call and tried to sell me another package. When she realized I am not a buyer (and she will not get her commission), without confirming with me and explaining what will happen next, she hung up on me when I was talking and disconnected my service without permission!!! This is the most awful customer service experience I've ever had. Unbelievable! Hiring people like her is the main reason COX will lose the competition to Verizon and AT&T very soon.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

After a year, Cox suddenly massively raised the price of our tv/internet service. We are retired and were absolutely shocked it was nearing $200 a month with few extras. We tried in vain to get them to reduce the cost significantly but got nasty customer service instead (and higher blood pressure). We cancelled the Tv part, paid a penalty and went with Cox internet only. Now THAT's gone up to around $134 a MONTH (and it's not even their highest speed). The reps have lied repeatedly to us (now they say we are also using too much bandwidth and must pay extra for that as well!) We have few choices here in Las Vegas, but neighbors really like CenturyLink so our install is this week. We NEVER go back to Cox. Buyer beware!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am not at all happy with COX, every time I call I have to spend 15 minutes to 30 minutes to get to a right person to help. I called the first time spend 15 minutes and given a phone number to reach to loyalty department. Then I called the given number spend 15 minutes described the whole situation and said she will now transfer me to the loyalty department, finally I reached to loyalty department, and waited 15 minutes to get the person and then I explained my situation 3rd time in detail to which she was not able to resolve.

COX increased the price of my bundle package in 6 months from $105 to $139 saying that what I received was a promotional offer. I was not informed about this "promotion" which only would last 6 months. This is absurd practice to FOOL customer and waste the valuable time of your customer. I would not pay 35$ increase in this package which is a lot. Right now I am looking some legal help to understand that how COX customer service informs its customer with more clarity. I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPY WITH COX and unlike other customers, I won't sit down until things change and are more transparent!

Original review: April 12, 2018

So I took the day off for the whole install works for the safety of my children. After arguing with my tech he failed to install two of my services - he set up my cable boxes in all the wrong rooms causing them to come back (when they do) and drill my holes into my home - then the supervisor sets my appt for a day I can’t even take off. Like this is the worst cable company ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: April 9, 2018

No cox agent has been able to resolve my issue and I am beyond upset at the inconsistency of their promises together with the continuous deceiving messages I've gotten from your agents. I am looking to resolve this quickly especially because I don't understand why it's taken 8 months to solve. I had my phone number ** with AT&T but decided to port it over to Cox. Our billing cycle began in August 2017 and the manager of Telegraph Canyon Cox Cable Chula Vista, CA told my brother and I our number was ported the day we were at the store. Few weeks later we noticed it had not been ported and we spoke to an agent over the phone again in September 2017. The agents continued telling me it would be ported in 10 days. Later we came to find out that the agent needed to submit a new form because this number had originally belonged to Cox in the past.

In December 2017 the agent from the Telegraph Canyon location told me it was their fault the phone line hadn't ported because they submitted the wrong form. He said it would be again "ported in 10 business days." In February 2018 I emailed the agent and he said they were still working on porting it. In the meantime I cannot go to the Telegraph Canyon store because I currently live in another state. This was the reason why I wanted the phone line to be ported in August 2017 to avoid this. I am also still getting bills from AT&T for the line that has not been ported. I have been receiving bills since August 2017. I asked the agent via email to cancel the process of because I cannot be paying two bills and having this financial stressor is disturbing. The agent does not cancel the porting and does respond to my emails. He had responded once to my email and stopped responding after I asked for the cancellation.

I call again in March 2018 and the agent tells me that the cancellation of the porting will happen in 8 hours. The confirmation number is (please email me) and his name is Joseph. Every time I attempt to cancel or port the phone I try to cancel my account with AT&T but AT&T tells me that they cannot cancel the account because the number is porting. This number has been porting for 8 months and I am exhausted of making phone calls, driving to Cox locations and dealing with this issue that could easily be resolved. I don't understand why they haven't been able to cancel the porting or even port the phone line to begin with. I also want the money I've been paying AT&T since August 2017 to be reimbursed.

Original review: April 5, 2018

It appears that once or twice a week Cox internet service is out. Their servers are down on a continuous basis and I do not want hear that Cox is updating their servers because even if that were true that still shouldn’t affect customers much. I pay good money for internet and my service, as well as others, should be reliable. I should not have to use cell phone data at home.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Even when you ask a lot of questions, you don't get "all" the correct answers. Found out the hard way but just in time. I just became a new resident in RI. Once a week I was getting tons of literature/advertisements regarding their different packages. Myself and my kids wanted their Cox Gold Bundle for 119.99 Including their 400.00 prepaid card (after 90 days of on time payments) and FREE installation... Ok Nice!! I finally called their sales department 866-961-0190 on 03-31-18. I asked for their package and they also tried selling me their Automation piece too. Monthly payment together was 209.00. Not Nice... Negotiated to drop down to 173 and change with all their promotions if I bought my own Modem/Router with FREE insulation right? 173 and change including taxes and their equipment right? Sales rep... "This is correct!!"

Well After 5 calls (and this is only 04-04-18) starting with the Cox tech not showing up, miscommunication, not getting deal like stated on first phone call, Now up to 355/month (how did it get to 355?) which should have have been 209 before negotiations. After 3 more calls (one of the Free instal. not included-Not disclosed during original phone call). Was told by different reps I should have read the fine print, or the sales Rep probably read the wrong numbers on his end of the computer, etc... and it went on and on like I was a moron. This is all before I was even connected!!! So if I didn't call again and they sent the techs to do the installation I would have expected a bill of 173 and change (this was supposed to include taxes and additional equipment on top of the equipment I already bought to save money) instead I would have received a bill for 355 and change and I would have had to pay it by law.

A total of 3 Customer Service Reps said I was all set and 3 more Customer Service Reps stated it was all different prices so even the Cox staff have no idea what I was supposed to pay. (Hours on the phone) Trust me, I ask a Lot of Questions so there was no misinterpretation issues on my part. Shouldn't be this difficult or costly to watch TV. If I would have disconnect the other service provider I would have had no TV and been screwed. I need to save money this is why I was going to Cox. Not now. Don't wait to see a different Price on your bill AFTER installation. (355 dollars is a car payment.)

Have them submit a contract on what you spoke about on the phone. I'm sure they can email it to you but they won't. All this before I was even a customer of theirs. Cox should have honored the original quote of 173. Instead they wanted the 355 which I thought was ridiculous and I just hung up. Maybe more people should drop Cox because of the dishonesty and poor representation of a local company. Not a Customer, DENISE.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Cox advertises bundles that are intentionally much less expensive than what your bill will end up being. They know this is true which is why their billing is set up the way it is. They claim you pay in advance for your service however that would mean that made a payment at time of contract signing. Since they know you'll be unhappy with your actual bill they wait 30 days to bill you and then bill you for 2 months and claim that you pay in advance. By definition, if you bill me 30 days later I am paying in arrears. But to get around that they double bill you. The online account services only shows the last 30 days of billing activity so in order for me to review the data I have to call in and sit on hold. I had this conversation with two people, both told me they bill in advance but couldn't explain how billing in advance results in billing 30 days later. I was transferred twice, finally to a supervisor who never came on the line.

After 30 mins on hold I hung up. I then tried online chat where I asked how long my contract was. He says it's up in 2020...pretty good scam if you ask me. So I ask for a copy of my contract which conveniently isn't attached to my file in the "My Agreements" section. He says I'll have to go into a store to get that. I haven't even started on the installation process. When we moved and had services moved the tech apparently knotted all of the lines in the box and only 1 TV would work. We spent several hours on with customer service to no avail. They finally sent another tech out who said it was so bad he needed to take pictures to send to his boss and then said "I promise this tech won't be working for us again." So to sum up, they advertise a rate that is considerably lower than what your bill will be.

Knowing that people wouldn't sign up if they see the real price they don't take a payment when you start service, they simply bill you for 2 months to make up for it and claim that you're paying in advance. Best part is they charge high late fees so if you dispute the double billing they get to bill you again. Installation is a complete nightmare and if you call customer service about any of this you sit on hold and get transferred around. Of course they don't care because you're in a 2 year contract.

Original review: April 1, 2018

In 2002, Cox sold HD cable set top boxes. I purchased one. Now, in 2018, Cox states the box is restricted and will not register the box. Bad Cox. They sold it, they should allow it on their system. BBB next...

Original review: March 28, 2018

Every single day there is a problem with the service Cox charges for. Every day, sometimes multiple times a day, I have to reset the signal to my box or modem just to connect to their server or get cable TV. If there is a program on TV I have to watch it while it airs. If I record it the playback is pixelated so bad the content is lost. But, not for the commercials. Commercials are always perfect. For over 2 months now there are blocks of time when I cannot open my email. These blocks like the one now last for about 6 hours. When creating my account for this site I was prompted to confirm my email; I can’t do that. I hate Cox. I will be looking for a better way. Just want to warn other people to stay away.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Cox claimed that an upgrade to HD TV was free. When we asked for the upgrade we were told that it would cost an additional fee of $2 per month. That's chickenfeed but nonetheless the basis of a lie. Recently they told us that their modem had to be replaced because it was so old that parts were no longer available to repair it. What a bunch of malarky. Modems aren't repaired. They're replaced and thrown away. Next they told us it would be free, followed quickly that if we want to have our phone work during a power outage we would have to pony up $30 to $50 for a battery.

When I asked what model battery I would be buying the three representatives that I talked with, including a tier 1 tech who otherwise seemed quite knowledgeable, danced all around the question telling me, "Well, that depends". I am not using a Cox modem at this time. When I asked why my modem, which is not their decrepit model, needs to be changed I got the same song and dance about needing a battery. I'm not worried about telephone functionality during the very rare power outages that we experience in this area. I refuse to be conned.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Horrible place. I would never recommend to any. They shouldn't even have one star. They tell you one thing over the phone and another. Said they were coming out and never came. Told me I didn't need a deposit and then I didn't. Wasted my time on the phone for two hours.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have had a business account with Cox for about 6 year. I accidentally made a payment for $ 1000.00 over what I owed on my current bill. After 8 weeks I called to see why they had not sent me a refund at this time. They told me I would need to email a copy of my bank statement to them to prove that the bill pay had cleared my account though they showed a $-900 account balance. It is terrible that they are treating small business this way. I have since switch to Verizon Fios and wish that I had done so many years ago!

Original review: March 19, 2018

SCAM SCAM SCAM, I got service with Cox a little over year ago. All I needed was Wifi. Nothing else. They offered me a rate of 48$ a month. After 12 month it doubled to 83$ just for wifi. When I called they told me the price was only for 1 year. They offered me a new rate of 58$. 3 month later was still paying 83$. Customer service sucks. All they tell you is this how they work and they can give a phone number to their loyalty department. I just found out that CenturyLink offers the same service for 48$ and it doesn't end after 12 month. It's unlimited. I wish I would have read some reviews before getting the service with Cox.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Does COX have any IQ standards for the accounting support personnel? Perhaps they select for low IQ? I went on their automated pay. Using my COX app, it showed that my bill for February was paid by autopay. But then I got an email saying it was 3-days until it was due, and not paid yet. Mixed messaging from COX, so I called an account rep, who looked it up and assured me that February's bill was paid. But the email was correct and the app and the rep were incorrect. So COX dunned me an $8 late fee.

I protested that I had done my due diligence, but that their software and their rep gave me bad information. The rep who took my call never did figure out that I was protesting the late fee. She just kept explaining that the $8 was because the payment didn't come in on time. I was ready to cancel my account, but decided to ask for her supervisor as one last try. Thankfully I got a bright bulb on the last attempt. Promised a credit. We'll see if they can follow through on it.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I called customer service when I noticed my bill increased. Told them I was promised a particular rate, including taxes and fees, for a one year period. Asked the agent (a supervisor in the Loyalty Department) if I would have to sign a contract (back in November 2017). He said “no”. When I called to complain about the price increase, the customer service agent told me that unless I had signed a contract, I would be stuck paying the higher cost. Left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing at Cox. The customer service sucks!! I’m discontinuing service with them.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My mother-in-law recently had a problem with her Cox telephone service. She is 90 years old. The phone display was saying that phone was in use although it really was not. This left the phone unusable. So she scheduled an appointment with Cox. I went to her home and found that the phone power supply was plugged into an outlet that was on a switch. Yes the switch was turned off so no power to phone. I corrected this and the phone was fine. We then called to cancel the repair appointment. Later that month we received the Cox bill. Well there was a $75 dollar service charge for no services rendered. We called customer service and they said the technician did fulfill the appointment. Huh! So they fixed NOTHING! Too bad a big company like Cox feels the need to take advantage of a 90 year old woman. Shame on them. So if you read this and are contemplating using Cox please don't.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Not getting what I was told when it came to the Bundle. I was told 89.00 a month for the bundle. With taxes and all the fees it is 129.54 a month, I have have the service for 4 months and have increased the rate. Now I am paying 134.92. This company has the biggest scam going!

Original review: March 9, 2018

Totally frustrated with Cox. I have the bundle and it's a bundle of crap, no internet, no phone and no streaming. This happens a minimum of 3x per day. I'm so frustrated because I'm still bound to 2 year contract.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Cox contacted me in Nov to upgrade to their fancy Panoramic wi-fi at no extra cost to me, so I said okay. I was told download speeds up to 100mg, or whatever it is. After we got it, we were not seeing those speeds and were told that items not plugged directly into the modem might only see 1/2 that speed. We were not even getting 1/2, we were in the 30's. We started streaming some TV shows and it was constantly buffering, it was so annoying. I called early Feb. to complain, again,(on a Saturday night, spend 2 hours on phone with Cox vs. watching a tv show I really wanted to watch) and it was determined we must have a bad modem, they would send a new one. Waited a week, nothing. Called and spent another 2 hours on the phone with them, and was told the 1st modem never got sent out. Person ASSURED me that she will get new one sent out, I should have in 3-5 days. Day 5, no modem.

I called and was told it was in fact sent out, but it really takes 5-7 days to arrive. Day 7 arrived, no modem. I called Cox yet again (due to I have nothing better to do in my life than to waste my time calling them) and after a long period of silence with the agent was told that she could send a technician out at no cost to me to install a new modem. I said, in other words, what you are telling me is that a modem was in fact not sent out to me, correct? Yes, that is correct. So now I've been lied to 3 times by them, and I now have to sit and wait on a technician to come to my house and come into my home to install something I could install myself because they can't seem to be able to mail it to me! The minute you bring up suggesting that some sort of refund to my bill for services that I'm paying for but not getting is not even acknowledged by the agents, they completely ignore me. They are a monopoly, in my area, not like I can go elsewhere, as I would if I could.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Cox cable is so bad... the contour box freezes up daily. After they changed it, it took one month and started all over again. The reps are clueless... they may be better than Dish but they suck just the same.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I requested for an upgrade and get a good discount. Tech supposed to arrived from 8:00am-10:00am. I waited and actually took a time off from work just to have somebody at home. 10:00am arrived and tech still not there. I checked with Cox thru Chat and Ana ** (Cox Customer Service) told me my schedule was not confirmed because I failed my 3rd party verification. I was shocked!!

First I verified with the third party and it was already confirmed before the schedule. No calls no emails sent advising me that the schedule will not happen. They wasted my time and money (for not being paid 1/2 day at work). After talking thru phone and chatting online for hours, I decided to cancel my upgrade. This company has NO CUSTOMER SERVICE at all. I wanted to cancel everything (but tied up with contract). They need to start looking to all the customer complaints and put actions to improve their services. We are paying huge amount of money here for crappy services!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We have been Cox customers for over 14 years. During that time they set up a home networking for us. When we had problems with it, the first thing they said was, "We don't deal with home networking". I told them that you set it up and now it needs to be fixed. After them coming out a couple of times and not fixing it, we gave up. Then, I lost my job. We went down to Cox and explained that we needed to downsize as I had lost my job. They said no problem and we dropped some channels to lower the bill. When all was said and done, our bill was higher than it was when we went in the door. We were then told that we had a special package and that when we changed it we no longer got the deal. We asked to get the deal back and they said no. Needless to say, I was very unhappy. Then, a few years later our computers died. We decided not to get more computers as we could do everything on our phone.

We wanted to keep our email addresses so we told them we wanted the lowest speed as we did not have computers anymore. Well, over the years the bill kept getting higher and higher. When I finally went through it with a fine toothed comb, I noticed we were paying 52.99 per month for internet. We went down to Cox again a couple of weeks ago and the girl said she would switch it and it would be 29.99 per month. Well, I saw my bill today and it says 42.99 plus taxes and fees per month. We had already canceled our tv with them when the said they were raising prices yet again. Hopefully I'll get everything out of my email by this weekend so I can tell Cox to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Unless you like doing business with rattlesnakes I suggest you avoid Cox at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I was with Cox Cable since 2007 - over 10 years. I had Internet and cable TV with two connection boxes for two TVs. For over 10 years, I paid "rent" on those two connection boxes, pieces of plastic, old technology, since outdated, never replaced. I canceled cable TV last year and went to satellite, but kept the wireless service. It didn't occur to the rep to tell me that I had two pieces of equipment I being charged rent on, and needed to return. Maybe because I was still a customer???

I just called to cancel service because I am moving out of the area, and was informed I owed them $500 for those two worthless plastic boxes they'll simply throw away after charging me rent for a decade. I found 1 box and returned it, so now I "only" owe $250. They will not negotiate. "No one" - literally no one at Cox - can review the complaint and write off the charge. It cannot be done by God or human, I'm told. NO ONE AT COX CAN REVIEW THE COMPLAINT AND RESOLVE IT. No one. Sorry. She even refused to transfer the call to a supervisor after multiple requests (which became demands) "BECAUSE NO ONE CAN HELP YOU," and just left me on hold for five minutes.

It is not up for discussion with Cox at all. No supervisor. No escalation of the issue. I should just file a claim with my homeowners' insurance, they said. (Really?) If I don't pay them $250, they will turn me over to collection. Never mind that they never told me to return the boxes until a year later when I have no idea where the second one is anymore (Goodwill?). Never mind that they've been raking in money for two boxes for over a decade. Never mind that the equipment is worthless and outdated. So keep that kind of customer service in mind if you consider them which, quite frankly, I would not. They're literally helpless if you dispute a charge. They cannot resolve your complaint. They will not assist you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Worst company ever. 254 a month for services. You call to see what you can do to get the bill lower. Not very much help. You cancel your service then you get a call from rude customer service. They wouldn't work out a payment plan on a 196 balance until I returned my equipment so I did and what happens!!?? I make payments every week to pay it off so they send me to collections. Adds extra charges for their awful service that I am not even using anymore and screw my credit score and send it to collections with an extra added $41. LMAO. Company is the biggest joke. Rudest people. They rip people off. I will go with no service before ever going back to that company. Unreal.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My family and I moved to a smaller town where it appeared that Cox was the only internet and TV provider. We paid for their service in a bundle as they always try to sell and at the beginning it seemed like a good deal 50 Megs internet, hundred channels and a phone service I didn't really want for $80 is a month. Then after the first couple of months I started to receive more and more gouges in my monthly bill. After several months of trying to get a reason and paper billing so that I could go over each charge they finally shut us off because we refuse to keep paying what was now a hundred and fifty to $175 a month without reasoning.

The last time we attempted to contact them the rep told us that somebody had put a note in the computer saying that we were the ones that were aggressive and he shut us off because of the way we talk to him. Do not use their service. It will not cost what you think it will and it is more of a pain than it's worth. I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Terrible, greed oriented company that rips off the consumer any way they can - devious deception, extremely poor service, does not allocate a fair amount of their huge profits towards customer support or product maintenance, slips in unrequested upgrades on the bill, has deceptive information practices to mask their agenda of gouging the consumer. The list goes on & on. Monopolies are supposed to be against federal law but they hold a monopoly in my area and continue to exploit it to add to their revenue base. In a nutshell, they should be investigated and indicted by the FCC - Maybe even be subject to a class action civil suit!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

My wife and I moved from GA. last year. We were customers of Cox Cable for 20+ years before moving. We returned our cable equipment before moving and then 9 months later get a bill for the equipment. I tried and tried to resolve this with these people only to get the run around and turned over to a collection agency. Then after paying these jackoffs their money, dinged my credit with this crap!!! So I called again to ask questions and file a complaint, never to hear a word form any one. In my opinion, Cox Communications is a rip-off and has THE SORRIEST service of any provider I’ve had to deal with.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I own vacation rentals. It appears that when they come out to work on the box in our complex it takes down our service in some of our vacation rentals causing renters to be disgruntled and costing us money as we have to reimburse our renters for the inconvenience due to Cox not taking care of the issue, they caused by not responding to the issue immediately. This has been happening for years. We cannot switch to DirecTV due to wiring in our buildings. So unhappy with not having constant dependable cable and NOT getting a quick service response!

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs