Cox Cable
1.54/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Cox Cable

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 21, 2017

944 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Had Cox Cable for two months and experienced poor service. In this time two remotes and two receiving units have been replaced over the two month period. Today our service has been inoperable. No TV reception. Best response I could receive is they would visit tomorrow afternoon between 1-3PM. We are considering going with DirecTV.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

They skyrocketed prices, we lowered our speed from 50Mbs to 15Mbs to keep paying the same money. Since that change we have a real speed of 1.4Mbs. We have a 97℅ slower connection now which is also 90℅ slower than what we pay for! This is a greed infested company that does abuse their monopoly in my area.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Why must every year be like buying a used car. They play the shell game every time. If you try to renew early they charge you a cancellation fee. Then you have to call to have them take it off. If you miss your renewal date they jack the price up and you have to pay it for that month. Oh they will lower it the next month but they already have your money so what's the difference? If I want to downgrade my services I cannot do it without calling and being badgered to keep the service I have.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Cox lies to their customers promising them bundles that will not go up for a year or two years then boom every month the bill increases until it reaches what they admitted on the phone as the retail price. They admitted on the phone that they are taught to lie and make promises to customers to sell their services. So every month you notice a added tax and you call them and they say, "Sorry we cant remove anything."

Half the time their service is out. When you call them about it they tell you there is an outage in your area or they see nothing on your end it must be on our end and to return your box and modem for a fee for a new one. Then it still didn't work we returned our box five times and was charged every time and it still didn't work. The wifi was always out. My bill started out at a little over 100 for phone, internet and cable at the beginning of the plan and not even a year in is up to 190 and when I told them I wanted to cancel services they said they would sue me that I have to continue to pay what they bill me until the end of the year. I would not recommend them to anyone! They cannot be trusted.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

A while back I called to see if Cox could change my payment date. I was told that if I did that I would lose the discounts I was receiving, so I could either pay a higher rate or keep a payment date that was annoying for my budget. They were completely unwilling to work with me. So, I called back about a month later to cancel my account. I was told by a guy that I would receive a reimbursement of $5. Then, I received a bill for $38. When I called to ask about it, I was given no explanation and I was really angry. The girl was super hateful. I ended up paying it because I'm a sucker and didn't want to get turned over to collections.

The website accepted my payment and two days later I received a collection notice. (Between cancelling my account and today, it's been between 2-3 months.) I called Cox to ask about it and once again talked to a smug person, who explained to me that I was paid up and ok but when I asked a follow up question, he sarcastically said he just clarified that for me. I did tell him as I hung up that they are the worst. I used to have no issues with Cox or their customer service. Something has changed over the years. I'm so relieved to be done with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was a Cox Communications customer for a few years in college, and it was by far the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Aside from the terrible service, the outages that happened almost nightly, and extreme fluctuations in internet speed, they were also a nightmare to deal with administratively. Multiple times throughout my service with them, my bill would unexpectedly be "upgraded" to a higher plan, meaning that I was getting charged more for a service I had never requested. Multiple times this took several months and many, many, phone calls with representatives who clearly had no idea what was going on to resolve the problem. Each time I thought I was getting the payment schedule resolved, only to be confronted with even more problems.

The next problem I encountered was in moving addresses, they completely messed up all of my information and their solution for dealing with it was by having me create an entirely new account. This account was created over the phone, and the representative didn't even spell my name right. I tried to get this spelling error corrected at least 5 times and each times the representative would tell me it was fixed, only for my next bill to also have my name spelled wrong. Multiple times I had elected to enroll in automatic bill pay, only to find out that the representative never completed the steps necessary for this and I was late on a couple payments as a result. The absolute worst thing that happened was upon another address change. At the new address, they double charged me for a professional installation fee. I didn't even want to have professional installation at all, but they assured me it was necessary (lie).

Well, I was willing to pay the fee just to get this over with as by now I was well seasoned in how phone calls with this company are more frustrating than talking to a wall. But what upset me was how they somehow managed to screw up again and double charged me the installation fee. This double fee got paid by my automatic bill pay, and I called them once again to dispute this payment. They apologized and credited my account with the refund, and I continued making my monthly payments for the rest of the year. At the end of this year when I was moving out of state and jumping for joy that I was moving to an area where Cox Communications doesn't have a monopoly over the neighborhood (which was literally the only reason I kept using them), I was told that I had a payment due in the amount of the installation fee that had been previously refunded to me.

I disputed this once again, talked to multiple representatives, and even in the billing department no one was able to tell me what this charge was even for! It certainly wasn't a normal monthly bill and I was positive it was some residual mistake from the refund. After wasting many more hours talking to the morons at Cox, I was assured this charge would be removed from my account. Sure enough, a month later I called the bill pay number and was told I had no balance. I checked online and it displayed I have no balance. Three days ago, I get a call from a collections agency saying I have an amount in collections due. This was a total shock as I am extremely good about making payments on time, and I instantly knew those morons at Cox had found a way to continue tormenting me across the country.

I investigated further and sure enough, the amount that I had previously been told I owe had been transferred to collections and my credit is now being affected. I am so upset over this, I was fighting this charge on principle but I decided that the small amount of money was never worth the headache of dealing with this company. I paid their remaining balance so I hope they enjoy their small payment they wrongfully got out of me in exchange for losing a customer for life. As well as how I am now adamantly committed to making sure no friends or family of mine make the mistake and keep funding the cesspool that is Cox Communications.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I've had Cox now for less than a month. Their Contour TV service or streaming service I should say they lied to me when I signed up for it. To say that you could stream on your TV but that is not the case. You can only stream on mobile devices and or computer which I find is horrible. I got it so I can stream local TV and HBO onto my TV and customer service was very unhelpful about it and when I try to cancel my service all they wanted to do was upgrade me to a cable box or charge me more money to get rid of the service because I also have internet through them. So I would strongly suggest do not go through Cox go through any provider other than Cox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I been with cox for about three years, and all the sudden I've being charge for equipment that I return back through the three year period. It wasn't on my account this morning and now all of the sudden it saying I still owe the $553.00. First it was I had owe them for four cable boxes and three wifi boxes, now it only two WiFi boxes and to cable boxes, the beginning of last month, I paid my bill and got a confirmation number and my services didn't come back on, they even told me my the confirmation number I gave didn't exist. My discounting my service with and suing them cause I feel liked I'm being scammed.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have had Cox services for several years and I upset and disappointed in Cox service because they keep going up on the price and I'm not on a contract. I pay my bill on time and have order movies from time to time so they are getting extra money on top of the high bill I have to pay. A long time ago people could rely on Cox but every time I call about my bill going up, they have an attitude and saying I'm on a contract I didn't even sign and that, "We are raising your bill." This is not right how they are treating customers that have been with them for years and pay on time. To be continued.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

10/27/31 I contacted Cox about my internet going down. The next day a contractor came and said the issue with my signal is my line needed to be buried or something like that. I asked Cox months ago to bury the lines and they never had. He dug a 1/2 inch hole and put the cable in it and covered up with rocks. To no surprise the cable found themselves free and my internet was down again. I called the same day, and the agent of the phone said, "I will have someone out to your house 10/31/ 1-3pm." I later received the email that it was actually 11/1 1-3pm. It's now been down for 4 days. They credited my account measly 6 dollars. I had to use 2 sicks days from work because I work from home. This service is unacceptable. I'm crossing my fingers that they fix the issue tomorrow but Cox has lost all my faith.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

In my area, Cox is the only cable company available. They recently set up a cap that would charge us a great amount if we go over the cap. They want the cable bill to be set up like a water bill or electric bill in the way that you pay for what you use but this is ridiculous because once you use data on the internet, it is not consuming that data! It also doesn't cost COX any more money if we use more data so they are just ripping the consumers off. Not to mention, the speed is so slow, it is infuriating. We are looking to move out of here and one of the reasons is because of COX and we will make sure COX is not the internet service provider! It is a sad day in America when COX has a MONOPOLY of the cable service in certain areas and the only way to be free of them is to MOVE.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The service is good when it works. I have never had the internet speed I pay for, but it is usually faster than the grade below mine. I pay for 100Mbps the next grade is 50Mbps. I average 70 even though I have newer hardware. Around two months old. The issue I have with them is during peak usage time I seem to have intermittent service. They will not cut you a break relative to the amount of time down. I have tried contacting them and they will send someone out to fix their service but they charge you. I have used a multimeter to check the lines are receiving signal right up to my modem. They are, but if they send someone to check it you will be charged.

It is less expensive if you pay for their extra service monthly, but then you are paying them extra to fix their service which may not be needed. Unfortunately you cannot switch in my area due to the next available company having worse service outages, but they are less expensive. Their rates also increase more often than not while not seeming to increase value to the customer. They use a lot of vagueness in promises so as not to be held accountable.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My sister has stolen my SS number AND has been using it for opening new Cox Cable TV and internet accounts in my name and Cox Cable doesn't care. I had spoken to one collection representative and she told me that social security numbers could not be put on a blacklist. This isn't the first time it's happened and I am so very unhappy about it. If I didn't live in another state I'd be out there suing Cox Cable.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I paid my bill through my bank, a paper check arrived at the Pensacola location but was never cashed. I called the store 12 days after check arrival only to be told to send a copy of my bank statement. I began receiving automated calls telling me my services would be disconnected so naturally I called again only to be told to send my bank statement again showing proof that the funds had been removed from my account. They disconnected my services and sent me to their collections department where I was finally told a freaking month later that the Pensacola location doesn't process paper checks. They don't return to sender or forward them somewhere that will process. I went 2 days without services while my bank cancelled the check. Worst customer service I have ever had.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We have been good customers for almost 12 years. The Internet is very reliable which is the only reason we keep it. We have the bundle pricing and if we drop the TV and phone then the internet price will go up. Over 200 a month for 140 channels no premium like HBO or Starz. Nickle and dimed an additional 3.99 for two additional TVs just to be able to watch something. Then I see ads for 129.00 for 240 channels including premium Internet and phone. To say I am super disappointed in Cox is an understatement, this is the reason people are cord cutting and telling cable Bye Bye. BTW I was also told that if I kept only the internet then I would need to get EVEN better internet with more data. Code for it's gonna cost you!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

More than a year ago my internet was very slow or in and out. So I called Cox Cable and find out what was wrong with it. They sent out a technician whom did a temporary fix and stated that he was a house technician and he is going to put in a ticket for as a pole technician. The technician indicated that the node in my area was bad therefore I was not getting the internet service that I was paying for. This went on for a while. I will constantly call Cox they will send a technician who would say same thing. He's a house technician and the problem is with the box that serves the community that requires a pole and bucket truck technician.

Just this weekend technician number 8 came out and stated the exact same problem and that a bucket truck technician needs to be sent out. A year and 5 months later I am still dealing with the same issue. If Cox did not have a monopoly in this area I would have switch a long time ago. Every time you call customer service they can never find the previous notes that was added to your account. The same notes that was promised by the last customer service rep will be added to your account. Now when my wife and I shop for a new home one thing we look at is who is the internet provider and if it's Cox we turn down the home.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have free cable at my apartments, but I have to pay $6 a month for digital boxes or I can't watch TV. I have their high-speed internet, it always goes out and is not that fast, I'm suppose to be paying $70 a month for internet only but my bills are always about double that and that's paying my bill on time. Customer service is useless, but at least they're American.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Cox was an excellent provider. I just moved to an AT&T area. I never once had downtime with Cox. Their customer service rep was extremely helpful when I had to call to terminate service.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

They keep going up on their prices. Every year they go up and soon I will no longer be able to afford paying for their service. The service is not that good.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My services were interrupted due to nonpayment, I made a payment of the past due amount which was $245.16. I tried twice to pay through the automated services but it could not pull up my account. So after two fail tries I spoke with a rep, the rep said that she would waive the $6 fee. So I told her that I was paying the past due of $245.16, the rep repeated the amount to me and processed the payment. When I checked my account later that night I saw that I was charged $539, I called Cox right away but they were closed. The next morning at about 5 am I began calling Cox so that I could get this taken care of.

I spoke to several individuals who all told me something different. I then called my bank and tried to have a stop payment but this did not work. My bank then told me to do a dispute letter, I called yesterday and Cox now says that I can't get a refund because my account will be in default. My light bill is $500. I need lights more than cable, how can they take money from me that was not authorized. I only authorized $245, how can they take more than that. Then tell me there is no way for me to get my money back. I would like for them to listen to the recordings and see that I only authorized $245.16. This is stealing and I want my money back!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I called at least 10 times about my internet not working, they sent someone out and no one could fix it. I asked to be let out of my contract and they said no! I will never use Cox again!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Cox told me that will charge me MORE if I discontinue their phone service and they are the only service where I LIVE! I also hate their service - it took them over 2 weeks to get my service right when I just moved from one apartment to another in the same complex. HELP!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Reliability regarding the Cisco box is just fair. The TVs are turned "off" on an average of once every two week while the box "reboots". Have never noticed this with my daughter's televisions in their home but, they have DirecTV and no apparent problems.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have a lot of problems with TV connection, phone and internet. I think their wiring is old. The TV pixelates and stations stop working and the phone goes to answering service when I try to pick it up. The internet randomly becomes as slow as dial-up and I have the fastest service.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have a problem with my contract starting at a reasonable price and the steadily going up. When questions as to why, I'm given some vague incomprehensible answer.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We are always having internet issues, the modem has to be reset a lot. They are very slow & we are paying way too much for such bad service & such expensive prices. They always have an excuse like, "Oh I see your special program had ended..." just to jack up the prices & lower your internet speed.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Cox control this area. No other company can provide what Cox provide. The cost is high however the quality is good. The INTERNET is strong and secure. They give you McAfee internet security free.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

The service works well but EVERYBODY HATES THEM! Why? Rate creep. They raise your rate nearly every month without notice. Boom. It just appears on the bill. I cancelled my phone service to save $35 and they raised my cable $35. I cancelled my TV and they raised my internet. Now they put in data caps - $10 per 50 GB per month over the cap. Google Fiber - please! Are you listening?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Expensive, bundles that are available not to our liking and age group, Would like to have more individual selections on tv stations. Charter members and excellent payment records should have lower rates and options.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have been a Cox customer on and off for over 30 years and have hated every minute of it. I have been too lazy to make the switch. I only use Cox for internet speeds and now those prices are outrageous, AT&T fiber optic is not available where I am at.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs