Cox Cable
1.49/5

Cox Cable

1106 Cox Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I recently upgraded my tv package to receive the ESPN channel. I called over the phone to do this. The man was very helpful until I received my bill. I am being changered to upgrade my package (which I understand) then I’m being charged extra because it was 10 days before my billing cycle. This was never explained to me when I upgraded. I called to explain I was not aware of this and honestly wasn’t willing to pay it. The lady I spoke with was very rude and not willing to do anything for me. She just kept repeating that I upgraded before my billing cycle. But I shouldn’t be charged 2 times for that. I then proceeded to tell her to cancel the TV. Cox upgraded my internet without my approval or consent. So if I canceled my tv, I would then be paying $120 vs. $80 for internet. I don’t know about you, but Cox is only after one thing. Money. They do not care about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Wanted to cancel service because I was moving and did not want to use Cox anymore. You have to call a special department in order to cancel and this department HAS TO get information from you or they say they can't cancel the account. We had a zero balance because they charged $19.70 on the account that they had previously told us would not be auto debited. Our first call got the charge reversed. Then, when we said we wanted to cancel the service, we got transferred to a different department.

Cold transfer... Had to repeat all the information previously provided. Asked why we were canceling. We said it was none of their business. They insisted they couldn't cancel if they didn't have a reason. Finally said we're moving. Then, they needed the address or they wouldn't be able to cancel. We succumbed and provided an address. THEN, they come back with, "We provide service in that area." We repeat, we do not want Cox service and they act like they can't believe you don't want their service. The rep insists again that they provide service at that address and want to know why we don't want their service. We say, "It's none of your business." The rep insists that she can't cancel the service unless we provide a reason. We hung up.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Called to transfer services to another address due to I was moving. Was told 2 different dates, they didn’t show on either day b/c they canceled the order for no reason. I took 2 days off for nothing. Now have to reschedule for a week later, which is another day off! We need another cable provider in the area to choose from. When I called the original rep back to see why canceled she never returned my call, but when she was getting me to add all the services I didn’t have to start with. She (Shelly) was calling me for 3 days straight with no problem, now she’s a ghost. Definitely no service after the sale.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

So as every six months Cox tries to raise my bill on my service. I have to call them to ask why and I’m told I was on a promotional rate. I explained to them that they should have told me that at the beginning and as they always do they say that they will put me back at the original price so I go ahead and pay my bill at that price. Then they send me a bill saying I’m late with late fees added to the charges so I have to call them back and tell them I was not late with my bill. They were supposed to give me a credit and they need to credit the late fee because I’m not paying it so they credit the late fee but they don’t credit the rest of it so the next month I get another Bell saying I am not only late but I all these fees if they don’t get paid.

They’re turning my service off so I call again the customer service explain this all to the representative who puts me on hold for 10 minutes and then disconnects me. So now I have to call back to go through all the button questions to get to the right department to get a different customer service rep that I now have to re-explain everything to them who puts me on hold and gives me to a supervisor. And I explained that the error was on their end that I was told I would pay a certain amount and they keep telling me I owe more and that they technically should have credit me the $22 but instead they’re telling me they’re going to turn my service off. So after talking to her for 45 minutes her only response was when can I pay the bill. Please do not go with Cox and I will be looking at alternatives as this is not the first time I’ve had issues with them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

After 9 years of being a customer of Cox Cable in Orange County California, we recently sold our house and cancelled our Cable service. I personally took my Cox equipment into the nearest Cox outlet, paid the balance of the bill, which they printed out and gave to me and got a receipt show a ZERO balance. Two months later I am notified by a collection agency that I owe COX $95.22. When I contacted Cox they said they obviously processed the wrong balance when I paid my final bill. They refused to notify the collection agency saying it was out of their hands and insisted that I pay the collection agency's fee in order to settle my outstanding balance even though the billing error was Cox's fault. Horrible, horrible service. If you have a choice go elsewhere. I would also comment that the service over the years was below par but in our area we had no other choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cox?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

There was an issue in my neighborhood regarding a bad signal coming from my line, Cox knocked on my door Wednesday so they could schedule an appointment to fix the problem but I wasn't home so Cox blocked my internet and phone service so that I would give them a call when I get home. I am a senior citizen who work from home as a phone operator, when I returned home to start working I couldn't because I had no internet or phone service. I called Cox and spoke with several people and explained to them that the internet is how I make my living and begged them to unblock my service so I could start working, they said they would have someone call me as soon as possible, long story short no one called. No one came. No one cared.

I'm a good customer. I pay my bill on time. I didn't deserve that. Cox wouldn't even come out the next day to restore my service, they restored my service two days later which cost me two days' pay. Cox has caused me a lot of anger, stress and tears because I couldn't work for two days and this is gonna put me behind this month paying my bills. I'm new to the Hampton area. I'm from Richmond and Verizon was my internet provider for 16 yrs, moving here my daughter said try Cox phone and internet service, well never again. Verizon is a little expensive but great customer service and I will be returning as a Verizon customer again because Cox has failed me, I need a internet company that I can depend on and apparently Cox Internet is not dependable. I'm gonna recommend to my family and friends to stay far away from Cox Internet and Phone Services, they do not have your best interest at heart.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We have 3 HD small boxes and 1 main HD cable box that seem to never function correctly. When we are left without any cable due to one or more boxes not working I have to take off a day of work for a tech to come out and take all day to get one or two cable boxes working. I called Cox and spoke with a rep named Nes who gave by far the worst customer service I have ever came across. She showed no respect for me as a paying customer having no tv's working due to the fact their product is failing and I'm paying monthly on time. Then she went on to chuckle and say that they will credit me $3.10 per day for each day we are without service. So I have to miss work to settle for $3.10 basically.

She then went on to say with a smart tone, "Sir you can take your boxes in to a local store and exchange them." What she didn't bother to asked was how close the store is to my location which isn't close and yet I'm doing all the work plus paying a monthly bill on time. Then I guess she realized she wasn't making this call any better she hung up. Wow... Mind blowing how you can have someone like that working in customer service. Please Cox fix your business.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have been a loyal customer for 30 years and my bill keeps increasing. I called the loyalty dept today due to the fact that I had called last WEEK and was told then that my bill will be reduced since I had eliminated one of the packages on my current bill. The new bill came and it still had the old price so I called today and was put on hold for 2 and a half hours while they tried to find out what happened with my bill. They had a record that I had called but the changes were not listed. This company has the zero customer service and they have no loyalty to long term customers. I am done with this company. I am going to tell everyone I know not to do business with them. Also I will post this on social media. There is no accountability, they just keep passing you on to the next person. I guess they think that they are too big to fail but they are not the only game in town! Sooner or later their poor customer service will catch up to them, hope it is sooner!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Cox has been one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. They are very unprofessional, rude, and not helpful whatsoever. My husband was deployed a month in a half early to the middle of the desert in Afghanistan getting shot at for everyone to live a cozy little life here and they continued to tell me to have him call to turn off our service that we haven't used in a month and a half... Little difficult to do when he's living in a tent with no service. I am on his account online but for some reason they need he and myself to come in to prove he wants me added on their end or we get to pay $100 in cable for the next 8 months. Thanks Cox Cable! Glad you support your military... or at least enjoy your freedom from those who actually do!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

If you have an alternative, change COX. Worst company to work with. They lock you in for a period saying you have the best rate and then wham! Before you know it, that period is over and new price of minimum 25% increased rates kicks in. You then have to go along with it or change your service to somebody else. This monopolizing needs to STOP. Besides the fact that you speak to a dead-sounding voice, monotone, disinterested "campaign specialist" for assistance after waiting patiently on hold for over 25 minutes. 56 minutes later, you put down phone disgusted that you are told disinterestedly that either get out or pay up.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

On hold 10 minutes. Wanted to add a package, God forbid I want to do anything with Cox. Talking for a few minutes with a rep who couldn't figure out how to speak into the mic because I could hardly hear him. I then heard silence for a long period. 5 min later I finally hung up. I called back. A person from tech support answered. I told her what happened. She spoke on top of me, raising her voice at me and transferred me to another dept. I was MAD at that point because who the ** is she to interrupt me, yell at me, then transfer me without asking or saying what she's doing???

Spent another 15 minutes with another guy who couldn't help me navigate Cox website because Cox kept sending me to another page whenever I typed in what he told me to type in to see what stations I would get with a package I was calling about. So, almost 45 minutes later and what do I have? A headache, severe disdain for the pathetic Cox Cable, angry morning, and NO NEW SERVICE! Bring it Dish! Here I come!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

My mother died and I was trying to cancel her Cox account, pay the balance and return the equipment. This process has taken 3 months and I have talked to in excess of 20 different people. At first I was given incorrect information and incomplete information. That made it difficult to finalize things. Then, when I started getting information that was contrary to what I had been told about billing I really had a problem.

In the last month I have had literally 4 phone calls where I talked to someone about the account, couldn't resolve it and was transferred to someone else who promptly told me they couldn't talk to me because I wasn't the account holder. Each time you are jumped through menus and asked to explain from the beginning. I disputed a credit card payment and they didn't answer the dispute. Instead they re-billed me, added a $25 fee and sent my dead mom to collections over $81. They won't provide back up yet they refuse to even consider splitting the $81 with me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

1st 3 techs & 1 supervisor, 2 boxes, 3 remotes. I drove to store waiting my time, money very hot. Had to set on objects to keep from burning furniture. Sometimes rude text chat phone. Lied about prices & bill dates. Remotes crap. Problems keep changing. Talking to people in every state rude unknown condescending people who work for them. How are you so inhumane to be participants in your shell game. I ask FCC, BBB. How can they not be fined or forced to be ethical business laws against open fraud & price gouging from elderly who honest people can't watch TV. No choice without cable??? Is this legal FCC or government you can change fine, fees, oversight committee to question your power. We vote you in to protect us???

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I downgraded my cable and returned my DVR to reduce my bill from $85 a month to $52 a month with a phone operator. First month's bill after the downgrade was $72. First person, using the chat online, told me I get a loyalty discount that hadn't been applied yet and the $52 would be honored and gave me a number to call. I called and the woman named "Jenny" offered me a $3 discount and HBO trial, when I said no she said she could turn off my services now then and started yelling. I hung up and called back, I got passed around then got another loyalty rep who said he couldn't give me any discount at all. I told him I'm not paying $40 for internet and $30 for ten basic channels when you can get them for free with an antenna. He said if I removed the cable all together my internet alone would be $72! I will be cancelling asap.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

They came out but needed a bucket truck. Said they would be here the next day. Never showed up. I called then they said it was actually schedule for the following day. Scheduled 8-10. Showed up after 12, without a bucket truck. Said the same thing. Still need bucket truck. Complete hacks. I pay a lot of money and they are completely incompetent. Still not fixed.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Had Cox for many years but wanted to try something different. After awhile I switched back to Cox. After paying close to $300 for new wiring and connection fees I was set. Did not find out until we received an email a few days later that we used up all our data, we had a limit on our data. Unbelievable!! Am I the only one that thinks this is an important factor on deciding to go with that company? So now on top of my cable cost (which is not cheaper than any other) I am having to pay an additional $50 a month for unlimited data. That to me is such a ploy to suck your money. Very deceiving.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Cox is one of the most horrible companies to deal with. Their representatives almost always give conflicting information. I scheduled a past due payment to come out of my checking account on 9/8/18 and called to see if they will go on and run the payment on 9/1/18 and they outright refused to run it early! What business will not take a payment earlier than scheduled?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Cox makes it impossible to cancel your service. You have to call to do so. The three different women I spoke to treated me horribly - I’m crying they were so rude. And my service still isn’t cancelled.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I waited for the tech for hours. He never showed up. I called twice. They told me that he would be there at time and he still never showed. I called again and they told me he came at a time that I was home. I never left the house or anything and I am paying for something I have not even received yet. This company is so shady.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Scheduled a new install. Had no less than 4 email and 2 phone call prior to the install reminding me to be prepared. The tech showed up and stated the nearest tap was too far away and they would have to reschedule. I can't get in touch with anyone who can correct the situation - only people who say the tech submitted the paperwork and I just have to wait. Nobody steps up to the plate to say, "We made a mistake and here is how we will correct the problem."

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Service techs want me to switch to Contour so they can charge me a monthly fee to rent their equipment. I own my Tivo DVR and mini boxes so I don't need to rent Cox equipment. They have trained all the service techs to bash Tivo so they can convince customers to switch. I finally gave up and went with Contour for a month. It was just as bad and had a worse interface and operating system. After a month, I changed back. However, I could not get their crappy tuning adapter and cable card to work again.

6 days of techs coming out and saying they don't know why anyone would use Tivo, Tivo is outdated technology, although Tivo has a 4K DVR and Cox doesn't. I still don't have TV service. Calls to Cox to have them bring out spare tuning adapters and cable cards are fruitless. They are so incompetent, they can't even type in notes accurately. I threw out a contractor who didn't even know what Tivo was. Why doesn't the FCC do something about this POS monopoly?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Cox business salespeople are some of the most shady people in the business. The associate tried telling me we were out of contract on our internet and couldn’t keep the same price. I informed her we never had a contract and she still said we had to change our internet price.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I received a copyright violation for a movie pirated by the previous tenants before activating my internet Connection. Because the torrent was timestamped to July and I activated my internet in August, one would think it would be an easy thing to remove. After calling in to customer service, Cox tried to get me to admit guilt to a crime I didn't commit in order to remove the violation.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

No internet for 48 hours. Tech arrives and cannot repair but promises to return in a few hours and never shows on Friday the 17th. Company schedules tech for later than same day and tech never arrives. Company schedules tech for 3 pm today (Aug 18) and tech never arrives and apparently lies to their customer service he was here when he was not and we're waiting all day. The problem with Cox is that they are a B.S. company. They do not hire their own staff but subcontract out their work to independent repairmen who in most cases one step up above pool service guys. Never see the same tech or service company again. Their turnover must be out of sight and the competence of their subcontracts well below part.

For myself I am order backup internet service from a competitor and will likely cancel their service altogether. I work out of my home and pay top dollar for Cox internet service and I think it is about time regulators look at the company to determine if disciplinary action is necessary. I host a national radio show and like the coverage we've been giving Wells Fargo bank for their criminal activity, it is about time we do the same for Cox and try to unravel what is really going on at this company.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Wow! What a bunch of crooks! All of the remotes for our TVs stopped working so we called the support phone number displayed on the TV. Spent about 1/2 an hour on the phone with "Latrisha". She tried rebooting the main cable box with no success. So she decided that we needed to have a tech come to our house which happened the next day. He concluded that our remotes were no longer paired to the TVs. Here was the solution: Press and hold the setup key on the remote until green light comes on. Then punch in 981. That little trick wasn't in the manual and the helpful support person on the phone didn't suggest that we try it. I guess that we were suppose to intuitively know it. Took him about 10 minutes and later we got a bill for $75. When we protested the bill they basically told us to ** off. But, what are we supposed to do? Here in Tucson AZ Cox is the only show in town unless we go to a dish. Weasels!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have been suffering from internet and Phone outages since last 3-4 weeks. I have called tech support multiple times but no resolve. Today the tech came and said my modem needs to be replaced. Guess what - he did not have any replacement modem in his truck. He said he will come back next Saturday. While I am paying their crappy services - my woeful tale goes on. I am ready to switch.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Billing is ALWAYS changing! Nearly every month I need to call Cox billing to fight with them about my FIXED billing amounts being changed. After 20-30 minutes on the I always get the same "Oh, we're sorry, blah, blah, blah" crap about why my billing is not what the last person said it would be and so on. I HATE, HATE, HATE the damn games Cox is always playing and wonder why our taxpayer supporter consumer protection agencies continue to do nothing. If you have a choice other than Cox take it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

It does not surprise me in the least that I had to scroll through 30 or so reviews to find an even mediocre one. I have been a happy Cox customer for about 17 years until recently. For the past 21/2 months I have been experiencing long time outages every day. I am unable most of the time to call tech support for frozen pictures, being kicked off channels I pay to have, internet outages, and home security disruption due to the fact that my phones are also Cox and are down constantly.

I spoke with tech support almost daily for 21/2 months and they told me, "The issue cannot be resolved or fixed." Customer service told me I was lying, and they would not say that. I assure you, they did. Customer service also told me they could, and would not do anything to resolve the issue. When I tried to change my services (because again, I rarely receive them), I was told I have a contract and would have to pay a substantial penalty. I have ten more months of having to deal with this company, and I would rather live completely off the grid than ever pay them another cent. Did I mention my monthly bill is $335? You are severely penalized for being a long time customer, and the Loyalty department is in no way interested in hearing that you have been a long time loyal customer. They offer big discounts the first year for new customers to lull them in, but buyer beware! They are by far, the worst company.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Cox has the worst customer service of any cable company I’ve ever dealt with. I moved to Orange County last August from the East Coast, so went into the Cox Store to sign up for services. I was upsold by a salesman for home security who offered a “deal.” I was reluctant to agree when I read there was a $344 fee for early cancellation. We were only there for the school year and headed East in May. He told me not to worry about as long as I was moving out of state it was no problem. We were Cox customers for 8 months and I paid my bill on time each month.

I canceled the service beginning of May, returned all the equipment, got a receipt and I was told at the office I had a zero balance. Since then I’ve been harassed by a collections agency and the Cox team with multiple phone calls and letters. I have called multiple times only to get the runaround - transferred to at least four people and put on hold for at least 30 minutes total. Each time they tell me not to worry about it; they’ll remove the charges. Today, I just got off the phone after 40 minutes of the runaround with four different people, only to be told those charges cannot be removed and I still owe the money! I asked for a supervisor and was told I would get a call back. Ugh. I’m calling the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

So Cox Cable didn't want to work with me on adding TV to my service package - I currently have internet only. I'm paying $100 a month for internet. I want TV added. "That'll be $140 a month" Cox says. Meanwhile, Cox is offering new customers a TV, internet package deal for $89 a month. I mention that fact, acknowledge I'm not a new customer eligible for an introductory promotion deal, but you Cox, need to come down from $140 a month... "Nope" Cox says.

Not even the escalation department at Cox would work with me. I could only get a 'deal' @ $127 a month but ONLY if I added a phone I don't want or need, or if I added a security camera which I don't want or need... Hey Cox, if you can afford to give me $127 a month by adding equipment I don't want, can't you afford to give me JUST internet and TV for the same price? Nope, that phone or security camera HAS to be installed and in use (a.k.a., equipment rental fee, additional taxes, rate goes up after one year and I have to sign a two year deal). Cox Cable needs some cable competition in this town.

Cox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1962, Cox Cable serves more than 6.2 million residential customers each year. As the first cable company to offer business-centric products, it also offers businesses paid TV, telephone and Internet services.

• Take control of more than just the TV: Cox offers the service, Homelife, which allows users to remotely set the thermostat, turn lights on and off, and lock or unlock doors.

• Low-cost solutions: Cox offers television, telephone and Internet services bundled at comparably low prices.

• 24/7 support: There is no scheduled downtime for Cox Cable technical support. Tech support is available day or night.

• Custom programming bundles: Instead of paying for unwanted content, Cox allows subscribers to customize their channel bundles, which includes programming like extra movie content or in-depth sports coverage.

• Bundle services: Cox bundles high-speed Internet, digital phone service and digital cable services.

• Best for: Businesses who provide entertainment to customers, households on a budget or staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs