Consumer Reviews and Complaints

When I first moved here, Mediacom was what they had in the building. I just had two people come in and got Mediacom and I've been happy with it ever since. When the installers first came though, somehow the box that connects my phone and the TV weren't working right. So they brought me out a smaller box, put in, and I haven't had a bit of problem since.

I always get a lot on TV with Mediacom since in order to get the channels I want, I had to get a specific package. There are channels on it which I don't watch, but I do watch the channels that I like. I get a lot of sports. I also want my music channels, Western channel, and History channel. I also watch the biblical channels. I usually watch TV a little bit in the morning, from 7:30 sometimes up to 8:39. Then in the afternoon, if I'm up there, I'll turn it on and I'll listen to something while I'm doing something else. But usually my TV is mainly in the evening, from 7:00 up to bed time.

Most of their people have been very friendly and down-to-earth with me. The only issue I had was with one guy when I called the company a while back. My bill went up quite a bit so I called to see if I could lower it somehow. The guy said that they didn't have any programs at that time. So I then called one of the company's top women and they got it settled for me. I still got the same program but I had to sign a new contract for two years. But other than that, I have not had any problems with Mediacom's people. I still have my Mediacom because they always work with me. I'm very satisfied and I'd recommend this company to anybody.

Mediacom Cable

Thank you for your feedback Margaret!

We greatly appreciate your longtime service. It's customers like you who have made everything we've done as a company possible. Thank you. Hopefully we can have another great 20 years!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

A number of years ago I had DIRECTV and I didn't have television for a couple of weeks. I was thoroughly disgusted, dumped it and came to Mediacom. I have them for 20 years now. Their reps were great and very professional. Any of the repair people that I’ve called for some kind of service over the years have done their job, explained whatever was wrong and and left within a short period of time. I'm happy and satisfied with the service. However, I got a little problem right at the moment. When I'm switching channels, the number eight does not want to come up on the handset. I have to jock it around a couple of times to get it to come in. I would really appreciate if somebody could look at it. It's irritating.

Mediacom Cable

Thank you for your feedback Jonathan!

We truly appreciate the 40+ years of service you have had with us. If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

The service men were thorough and capable. They diagnosed the problem and had to do the job in more than one day because the lines were all old and needed to be replaced. They were efficient and respectful. Thanks for a job well done and improved services at my home!

Nathan,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and services, and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I have never dealt with a company with customer service this bad. You call in to get help and the representatives know about 7 sentences and those are the only responses that they have. I have had nothing but bad service with this company since signing up. Calling in what seems like every month with issues. Have had multiple DVR and modems replaced. I find it funny when a tech comes out to check on service and says the guy before this visit did this and that wrong and that's the problem. Service works a few days and then I'm calling in again. This week alone 6 times. Have been waiting for 5 days to get service fixed. So it seems that the problem all along has been outside on the pole down the street. And I have been suffering through this for over a year and I had to demand a refund yesterday when I called was never offered to me.

When I call no one can tell me when someone will be out to fix it. Only that an service order has been placed. If I handled my customers at work the way I'm handled by Mediacom I would be fired. Forget about asking to talk to a manager, you get put on hold and then mysteriously disconnected. They ask for your number and email, not once has anyone called or emailed about my concerns or phone surveys I leave. When my contract is up I'm done with this horrible, horrible company.

Kendall,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I recently moved home after college and needed to cancel my Mediacom Internet subscription. I had the company for 3 years because there are very few choices where I live. Apparently throughout the years and many moves, a modem that I had been renting went missing. I still do not know what happened to it, but needless to say, I did not know it was missing or that they thought I had it. I turned in the one we had hooked up in the last house I lived in. Without trying to contact me, Mediacom sent my account straight to their collection agency, immediately affecting my credit. I, again, had no idea about the modem.

I contacted Mediacom to figure out what was going because the collection agency only knew what I being charged, not why or how. The person at the call center told me "We assume you know you have the equipment." In my opinion, that is no excuse to not contact a customer. Moving is hectic and things get misplaced and forgotten about, this is not a reason to pass off customer accounts. I will never go back to Mediacom and I encourage others to stay away from the entire company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Hello Oscar,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. I've looked at your account and it doesn't look like you've made contact with us in almost two years, and we haven't had a service appointment in that time either. I will start working on getting things corrected for you right away. Thank you for letting us know about the issues you are having. I will be contacting you shortly.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

When I moved to this apartment, I had Mediacom installed because there was no other service available. The guys who installed it looked like a couple of dope-head hoodlums, and the DVR box had mud all over it like it had been run over by a truck. The DVR box quit working, finally.... just died. I have called Mediacom before and when talking to the person on the phone, they do line checks and tell me I have bad or low signal strength. But when the smart-ass field tech comes, he says there is nothing he can do about it. He has somewhere else he has to be, goodbye.... My cable box has been dead for over a week now, and my internet is messed up, as usual. I am going back to DirecTV as soon as I can... 200.00 a month is crazy for the service I get from Mediacom.

I looked around to get a better price and it's hard to get the internet in our area even if close to the antenna. The companies say I don't have internet service so I went to Mediacom and they tell me they can install everything to get the service. I had a really good experience with their sales team and the installation team did good as well. I asked if I could get the cheaper service but they said they don't have it in my area so I pay $60-something for the internet service. Still, Mediacom is a really good company and has a really good service.

Martha,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your services and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Mediacom was the only one in my neighborhood. I was happy with them until the internet kept going in and out. I had somebody out here five or six times within two weeks. Their repair people are nice and friendly, and they replaced everything they could think of. So going through all that frustration, I finally asked one of the guys to go up and check the wire between the house and the box. And that was it. But I still have issues with the connection.

I don't stream and just do online teaching, and it's so slow sometimes. Mediacom would say it's really slow and they'll send a guy out. Then the guy will come out and say they've been experiencing some problems and trying to update their dishes, and I should have faster service. But I don't. I can't even play Pandora without it going in and out. I would call them again and would get the same story. I even asked to be reimbursed for the times that I couldn't use it, which they did. But I'm still not running up to where I should be and it's been a month. I'm paying more to have a faster connection.

I signed a two-year contract which was up in 2016. I negotiated for a lower price 'cause I don't watch that much cable TV and I didn't even want the landline. It's the internet that I really need. But I had to get the package deal 'cause otherwise if I pay the internet by itself and just go with the lowest possible cable, it's more expensive. I negotiated and they got it down. But I just got done paying the bill for this month and it's creeping up $2 at a time. If there was another outfit coming through here that I could use, I would drop Mediacom because it's too expensive and I can't rely on the internet speed I'm paying for.

We have been with Mediacom for 35 years. We have our cable, internet, and phone from them. We never had any problem but all we get are reruns and we're just tired of them. But, we always have good service from Mediacom.

Kimberly,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Alright first let me start by saying I have been with Mediacom for going on 3 years now. I recently had to switch my contract over to a new service. I went with TiVo. Ever since my internet has been dropping randomly throughout the day every day. I finally got tired of not being able to watch on demand so I had Mediacom remove me from that contract. I was within the 90 day agreement and was able to successfully be placed into a different contract.

I have had 4 techs that I recall come out to the house each one try and fix my internet. None of them were able to fix the internet. The last tech that was out here said it was the connection coming from the pole. I was told I would have someone out here Monday, February the 6th to fix my connection for good. It still has not been resolved and I am seriously getting about ready to drop Mediacom altogether after being a loyal customer for 3 years. I have never had this much trouble out of any cable company I have used in the past. I am also not getting anywhere near the speed I am paying for, that is also a major issue that I have been trying to get fixed for a while now. I will give Mediacom till Friday, February the 10th to have this problem resolved before I drop them altogether.

Mediacom's what we got in the area and that's what I've had for nine years. I only had the family basic and I upgraded the services when my daughter moved in. We got the internet, wifi, DVR, and home phone. The TV here is on for 24hrs a day. I watch two channels and my daughter does the rest. I've had a great experience with their sales team. Dean was the one who originally put it in and Dover Mike services all. Everybody knows him here in the senior complex. We've had a hiccup and they were able to get back out three weeks later, which I understand because that happened over Christmas. They've always made everything right.

I love Mediacom because it's the best. I've been a client for a while and they did the installation almost a year ago. I picked the box up in Clinton but I live at Mest Manor in Savanna. I got my own cable but I'm paying a little extra to get a box so I could get the guide and several different things. I also got The Smithsonian which I really like. I pay $8 a month for the service. I'm very happy with the service and I love the quality. Every once in a while, the service screws up but it only goes out for an hour one day out of a year. It's been a very excellent service.

I had problems over a year ago with Mediacom's service because I kept dropping. The modem was the issue so they replaced it and the problem got fixed. Also about two months ago, when the weather got real cold, I kept losing the connection but the technicians came and one of them explained that they have a lot of problems because of the cold weather. They fixed that too. On the other hand, I'm paying too much now. I live in Bettendorf and I have someone here who lives in Iowa City. He's paying about half what I pay and he has the same service. I dropped my cable so I just have phone and internet now. But other than the pricing, Mediacom's service is great.

Mediacom is the only cable around here and we have them for more than five years. However, I do not appreciate the people who I call wherever they're at. They tell me one thing and they don't do it. My husband has a defibrillator pacemaker and the last time it went out, we could not use his machine to check the pacemaker because we didn't have a telephone service. I told Mediacom about it and it was over seven days before we got it back on and I don't like that. Otherwise, the techs that come out to the house are nice and wonderful - you couldn't ask for better guys.

My sisters told me about Mediacom and helped me to get going. I've been using them for about six months now. They're better than the dish I used to have in Texas. That one was always going out and I got tired of that. On the other hand, Mediacom uses cable and I'm glad it's always on. I don't have to worry about the weather or anything going out. However, I have a phone with them and at first, when I'd be talking to someone, the call would just disappear. I couldn't hear the person on the other line but he could hear me. They said they were trying to get something worked out between the box, the computer and the phone because they weren't jiving together. And so far that hasn't been happening for about a month and a half so I'm pleased with that.

Also, I had questions about what the first rep did when he installed the system but it was all resolved fast. After that, the persons that came out were upfront and straight. Then when a man had to come out because the system wasn't updating, he showed me how to do it so I'll know what's going to be on the channels. He even wrote down the steps so I could do it on my own. I also have that $4 extra in case they come out and I don't get charged anyway. Overall, I really like Mediacom and at this point I'm pretty happy with them.

Resolution In Progress

My service with Mediacom is down too frequently. In the past, I have been working with the Total Care Team (Supervisor Corporate Relations/Escalations). This department WAS "my knight in shining armor" as they would square me away and get a technician to me quickly. However over the months that I have been calling. The service from this department went from great to awful. It seems as if they have moved around some of their employees to different departments. They seemed to have moved all the rude reps to the Total Care Team. I am not even sure why it is called "Total Care" anymore as they could care less. I called today thinking that someone would assist me and all I received was rudeness from 2 different representatives. Jamie and Robyn both talked over me so badly that I called in to cancel the service.

I would like someone to pull those calls that I made to Mediacom today and explain to me if this is the type of service they would want to receive. I spoke with Clay who had no regards to me cancelling my service and then I thought about it. Let me at least find a company to switch to before cancelling so I disconnected the call. Mediacom service is always down. When I call technical support, I do not expect, neither appreciate, a representative who cannot be compassionate for my concerns. After all, I am paying for a service that I am not receiving as I should. I have had service for less than a year and I have had at least 10-15 techs out for issues. I cannot even count the countless calls that I have had to Mediacom. Mediacom needs better customer service as well as a more reliable service.

I have no one to reach out to anymore and will just switch my service as I was told by the representatives in Total Care, there is no other department at a higher level that has customer interaction. So what I got from that is, customers do not matter. They do not deserve to speak with the executives. To the recipient of this complaint, the customers are the only way Mediacom can thrive. If all of the customers get together and boycott this horrible service and customer service, where would that leave you all, Mediacom? A higher regard should be held for customers as that is the only was you make profit and thrive. Without customers, Mediacom could not stand. Therefore, there should not be a limit. I should be able to follow the chain of command as high as it goes as my issues are not being taken care of. So I am being forced to take my business elsewhere. Myself and my neighbors all feel the same. Some of them have already started to switch.

I've been using Mediacom on and off for the last 15 years and I enjoy their programming. I haven't had any issues and the customer service representatives have been excellent.

Megan,

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I have been a Mediacom customer for the past 8 1/2 years mainly because there has been no other major competition. I pay $200/mo for HD cable and Ultra50 internet. Neither of which seem to work half of the time. HD channels cut out and you have to switch over to regular cable. The cable box freezes up while trying to change channels, exit from the DVR, etc. It's frustrating. I work from home and my job requires that I have reasonable internet connection. It cuts out all of the time. Sometimes for 4 hours at a time. Businesses and other residences nearby have also been impacted. I have contacted customer service numerous times to get an answer and they tell me that everything looks good with my speeds and that they see no interruption, so they'll have to get a tech out to check the lines. This has been the response 3 different times.

Techs have checked the lines and the pole. There are no leaks or bad connections. The modem has been replaced and I have new lines inside. The issue is this... it goes out consistently at the same times throughout the day. It works fine the rest of the time. If it were an issue with my lines, my modem, my router, etc., then it would not work at all. The last tech that came out could see there were 2 problem homes nearby that could be causing everyone's internet disruption. They were going to go check them or disconnect them. That was Friday, 1/27/17. They were supposed to follow up over the weekend or by at least today, 1/30/17.

This morning, I go to log in and start working and not even an hour into my shift, my internet is worse than it has been. I call customer service AGAIN and talk to Josh to ask when the tech is going to follow up because he was supposed to follow up on this either over the weekend or today. I have explained to him that my job is being impacted due to the disruption again to my internet and that if it's not fixed I'm either going to lose my job (which is not an option) or switch service providers. He tells me there are no techs available to assist until Wednesday, Feb 1st. I tell him that's not an option and that someone either needs to come out today or I'm switching providers. He immediately raises his voice and gets an attitude, to which I tell him to forget it and hang up. As of this afternoon, I'm getting DirecTV and will save nearly $100/mo just by switching. Goodbye Mediacom. You can take your awful service and stick it where the sun doesn't shine!

I got my internet through Mediacom because of the speed. The sales team has been okay except when we were trying to get the modem set up at our apartment. The salesperson who I spoke to in person in one of their offices told me certain information that wasn't true, unlike the person I spoke to on the phone who was fine. It was just sort of a minor inconvenience, though.

There was a miscommunication with their technical people. The first time around, we had the tech person come in and according to him, there was an issue with getting a signal into our apartment. He figured that the issue was inside the building so he suggested that we need to contact the owner and see about getting it fixed. And so, we did and the owner said they can do whatever is needed to be done. There was a little bit of going back and forth and Mediacom finally sent out a different tech person and it turned out that there really wasn't anything wrong. The first tech guy just forgot to connect something on the outside of the building. The whole process took about a week or so. Since then the service has been fine and I'm satisfied. It was just the initial setup and I'm not sure if I would, in the future, confide with the people at their local office as opposed to just calling the 800 number.

Bertha,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and billing, and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I thought Mediacom was cheaper than DirecTV because every time I got a bill from DirecTV, it is always raised. However, this month's Mediacom bill is $99.23. My son was home for Christmas and he ordered two movies to watch on TV but I don't know why the bill raises so much. My other bill was $79. I can't really afford this but I have to have a TV. Sometimes, I have to call in because the stations go out. I have some, but some of them that I watch most of the time don't come in very often. They Mediacom reps give me a runaround and I don't know if they were telling the truth or what they were trying to do. I don't like that but this is the only thing I can have in this apartment because it's hooked up for Mediacom Cable. I wouldn't recommend it to any friend of mine. That's the honest truth.

Sondra,

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

Had break in service and poor response for action. After threatening to cancel service, our internet and cable miraculously was restored. Paying extra for sports but find most games blacked out. VERY frustrated!

I felt like I was paying taxes twice because I pay the phone and TV bill separately with another company. So I decided to switch to Mediacom and got the TV and the phone services. Everything was okay with their sales team. They've been there to explain things to me when I needed them. However, we had to call back the guy that did the installation. He came and fixed everything but I was charged for that even though it was a problem with the thing about putting up the TV and I didn't like that. But the last time I needed somebody about a problem, the man was real good about explaining everything to me. I haven't been with them that long, but so far it was okay.

Jason,

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

We contacted Mediacom Dec 14 to sign up for one of the bundle packages. They sent us the TiVo hardware and internet hardware for install. We thought. The earliest appointment for installation was Jan 13. I thought that's a really long time but it's the holidays. A contracted technician comes and hooks up one tv and the internet. He said he didn't have the digital boxes for all the other tv's. He said, "You can drive to the Mediacom 45 min away to get them". So after he leaves, I drive to get the boxes just to get to the store to find out they are closed on a Friday at 2.

I called Mediacom's 800# and they don't know why they are closed. They mailed us the 4 boxes needed for the rest of the house. I hooked them up and called to get a signal. They don't work because the installer didn't hook up cable outside. So on the phone again to get a installer out to hook the rest of the tv's up. Keep in mind I have one tv working in our bedroom while no other tv is working in the house. This past Sun another installer comes out and says the first guy was lazy and didn't do anything he was suppose to. He was going to have to run wire and he will be back to finish. He came back Mon for 30 min and haven't seen or heard anything thus far. It's Friday. I called Mediacom to get another installer out here Tuesday. I've never had this much trouble getting cable service ever. I guarantee they will want to charge the full amount on the bill when I still don't have cable. Dissatisfied to the fullest. Never again Mediacom.

I've been using Mediacom's s services for internet, TV and telephone for several years and the quality is alright. I would recommend them.

I have Mediacom as internet and cable provider for the last six months. The installation process was great and the services were good.

No response received

Mike,

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I come home after work to find no internet and no cable. I call in and walk through the whole automated tv reset process and nothing works. I get routed to a sales rep who tells me there is a "signal issue" and that there was an open order on my account, meaning NO ONE was going to contact me or come to my apartment building to fix it until I called.

So, someone is coming by tomorrow, between 5-7 pm. I will be at work then and live alone in a studio apartment. When I ask how they are going to get into the secured building, she tells me I should contact my landlord to let them in. The landlord will be leaving at 5 pm and it's now my responsibility to arrange everything to work around Mediacom's schedule. Or, I can wait another day without service when someone can come two days later in the morning. I have work projects that I have to do this week when I get home and now I have to deal with this. This company sucks. I will be cutting the cord soon and going with another service provider for internet.

My daughter and grandkids have been using the internet from Mediacom for almost a year but I'm going to disconnect it when they move out as I don't need it and I don't have a computer but the service has been good.

At the time, only Mediacom was offering cable where we live so we went with them. We had them for about 12 years and sometimes I'm disappointed with the internet because it's so slow. I suppose that's probably what we're paying for but I'll check with somebody to see if that's my computer or if we need a better program. For our cable, usually if there's a problem they come right out and take care of it. So far we've been satisfied. When we're dissatisfied we'll let them know.

I've been using Mediacom since last year. I heard about them through word-of-mouth and went with them because of the special they had. Their services are alright and I like it. I have no complaints about it and the quality is sufficient.

Chris,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and usage, and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I've been a Mediacom customers for almost 10 years. I check my Internet usage almost daily. I live by myself. I checked my usage last Friday, and according to Mediacom, I have watched over NINETY 2-hour movies in 2 weeks (almost 400GB). Seriously??? I've actually watched only 6. I don't know where you are coming up with your figures, because they certainly don't match mine! I'm considering going with CenturyLink!

Mediacom Cable Company Profile