Call toll free
4.36/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Mediacom Communications offers best​-​in​-​class technology across rural America.​ ​With the fastest in-home WiFi, TiVo® DVR, 1 Gig Speed and so much more - customers are guaranteed to have a superior in-home entertainment experience. One of the fastest internet speed providers across their footprint; Netflix® has ranked Mediacom one of the top internet providers in April 2016. As the world becomes more technologically advanced so does Mediacom, investing millions into a nationwide fiber optic infrastructure so small town America will get to enjoy the most advanced Digital TV, High Speed Internet, and Digital Phone service for years to come. Hop on the super speedway and visit ​Mediacomcable.com​ to get the best in TV & Internet service today!

2785 Mediacom Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

We were close to Mediacom so we went with them. We've had them for about a couple of years, but I've used them before, too. We have TV and phone services from them and I hate that Doppler weather thing that comes on. When there’s a storm coming, they want to interrupt your programs half a day every 15 or 20 minutes. I could be watching a program and as soon as I get to the good part, when a storm is coming, the Doppler weather report comes on and interrupts my station. And they stay on and they say the same thing over and over.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Never ever buy from this company. I have a full audio of how slick they are. They told me one set price for home internet phone and cable. I ask the same questions over and over before I paid for anything or before anyone came out to my house. I was told my bill will be 126.37 a month. When I got my bill it was 238.37. Keep in mind I only been with them for 1 month. Well it's not a full month 'cause the 18 not here yet. I got service on the 19. I called them to ask why was my bill so high and what happen to the 122 I put down for the 1st month bill. I was told, "Your bill is 84 past due and a late fee that was for the 11," 'cause I did not pay it plus they billed me for next month which is due Oct. 22 2018 for the month of Nov. That's why my bill is 238.37. They lied about how much I will be paying a month.

They took my 122 'cause it did not go towards my 1st month bill and on top of that we just had a hurricane and look like they will know this type of stuff and know we was out of power but do you think they care? No. My internet is still messing. Their supervisor trying to talk rude to me yelling in my ear. Can't even answer my question of why my bill high and what happen to the 122 for 1st month bill. I have the full audio from Sep. 19 and today I recommend not rent from them. If you do rent from them be careful and listening to what they are saying and ask 1000 times if you have to. Also don't let them give you what they want you to have 'cause all they doing is telling you what you want to hear so you can go with their service.

Also the guy I spoke to told me not to leave bad feedback and that he will give me $50 off my bill. I don't care anything about that. People need to know what's going on it. Rather help someone who's 1st time like me than to let them be played and whipped out their money. I will be posting audio on YouTube. These people are really scamming us and we don't know it. Keep in mind my bill should not be 238.37 for those 3 things if they have a package did. They probably going to delete this review.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I started out with a Cable/Internet bundle 10 years ago. I couldn't afford both so I asked for a better discount 5 years ago, their customer service said "We don't do that". I said, "Ok, cancel my cable then I guess". I was paying about $150 for both, internet only would bring me down to $75. So I bring my cable box back to the Brookings SD Mediacom store, and the lady asks for the HD wire. I say "What HD wire?" She says "The one for your HD service." I didn't have a HD television at the time, this was the point - I found out they had been charging me for HD this entire time. THIS IS WHERE I GET MAD.

A week later, Mediacom calls me and asks if I would like Cable for $10/month, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I just asked that question a week earlier, they said they wouldn't do that. And $10/month, that's way less than I would've expected if they had worked with me. But they didn't, and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I said no to the $10/month Cable, out of spite.

Fast forward to Sept 2018. I'm charged a $8 late fee, I know this is bogus, I do all my monthly billing on the same day, and my other bills are due before this one, so I believe they just tried squeezing some extra money out of me. I called them up, once I got past the first person, I assume she's a manager, she took the late-fee off. Glad they took the fee off, but the sour taste is getting stronger.

Oct 2018, my bill is $5 higher. Now I'm fuming. I call Mediacom Customer Services and they say, "All companies raise their rates", I say "Well isn't that a coincidence, more nickel & diming, you tried doing it to me last month too". They didn't take the extra $5 off my bill. Too bad, you could've saved a customer for $5.

So I did some digging, my town (Volga, SD) has a new Internet & Cable company being built right on Main St as I type, they'll be up and running in a few months. (Valley Fibercom I believe they're called, Google it if you don't believe me), I realized I don't have to stay with Mediacom any longer, we finally have another option coming soon.

The following day, a man from Mediacom Promotions calls me. He asks, "How many people in your home use internet?", I cut him off there, I'm not cool with strangers asking about my family, and I was busy, so I ask him to skip to the end, tell me what this is about. He says he can't. I say, "I pay you $80/month to your company, and you can't answer my question?" I probably swore at him, told him to never call here again.

The next day I called to cancel my service of 10 years, hoping they'd realize their actions lost them a customer, I was looking for an apology & them to show me they wanted to keep my business by taking the $5 back off my bill, all I got was: "We don't even carry your plan anymore" and "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" in a rude voice. Nothing was done to keep me from leaving. I'm no saint, I'm sure I left out plenty of parts where I swore at them, how I'm wired. I've thought about calling one more time, give them one more chance, but I just can't get that sour taste out of my mouth. All this overcharging me an extra $5. I refuse to pay an extra $5, what don't you understand about that? They would have to give me the deal of the century for me to stay, one of those plans they don't show on their website.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Service (both phone and internet) is very sporadic. Many outages. Questionable phone support. The repair techs who come out are competent and fix the problem, but I need to have them to do service calls OFTEN! Apparently I'm required to give a rating... Too back there isn't an option for less than one star.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Today, 0.3 Mbps download and 0.2 Mbps upload. I'm paying for 60 Mbps. It's only 200 times slower. This is a common problem whenever there is any precipitation in the area. Rain or snow, it doesn't matter. The internet slows down to a crawl. It rained yesterday so I'm dead again as usual. I wish I could upload the screenshot. The speed test was performed by Mediacom so there is no argument if it is invalid. I know it's valid because I haven't been able to stream any video for the past 2 days. I have a hell of a time just reading news because I can't even load the news sites. Mediacom sucks and it's all we have in this neighborhood. If there was an alternative, I'd use it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

For digital cable, internet and phone you have to sign a 2 year contract. The first year it's a good deal. The second year my bill jumped to over $200 a month. What a scam. My contract is up next year and I will be done with this horrible company.

Pete,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer service experience each time you interact with us. Based on your feedback we did not meet this goal. We will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Don’t forget to download the Mediacom Mobile Care app. It is available on both Android and iOS devices. On the app you can check on outages, troubleshoot service issues, set up a services call, check and pay your bill and view your internet usage just to name a few things.

Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to help resolve your issues. We appreciate your business!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I had a good experience with the sales team from Mediacom. Their service has been really great. I'm trying to figure out how to use the Wi-Fi though.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I've had Mediacom for 20 years and I usually have someone who tries to help me with my problem. I have the internet, the phone, and the cable TV with Mediacom. When I had a phone problem this morning, I called customer service and we had a pretty good interaction and my phone is working now. I've had to change the location of the Mediacom system to get the internet about two months ago. The guy that came out was very professional. He put it in, and everything was fine. The cable sometimes goes out completely, but it wouldn't be out for a whole day. Overall, I've been satisfied with Mediacom.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I had the pleasure of two techs service my account that day. So let's give them both of them due credit. Both gentlemen were very knowledgeable in their field and very courteous. I'm a new Mediacom client and am extremely pleased with my service so far. My home security service is outstanding. I will need to reschedule additional installment for one of my cameras however. It was delivered to me in record time and I'm so glad you provide that service along with my cable service. I would recommended Mediacom to anyone petitioning cable and home security services.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Quick response time when I need help... great service! Happy to help when they can and easy to work with. Sometimes I can't pay my bill in full but they don't cut internet off right away when that happens... They are willing to work with me.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I called customer service because I was having problems with my DVR, they told me they would send out a service tech with new equipment the next day. The tech arrived. Asked about the problem. I explained the problem and told him I was told he would be bringing me new equipment. I was then told he knew nothing about bringing me new equipment and that he didn't have a new box. So my problem has still not been resolved and I am not very happy about it.

Christopher,

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I like the internet. Just not the price I pay and it is not unlimited internet for what I have to pay every month. I thank it is too high for just internet. Not happy with what I have to pay every month.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I've always liked Mediacom but I switched to AT&T. But then, there were all sorts of things going wrong. Also, every time I called up to pay, they would ask me what bill I wanted to pay and I would say I had a combined bill. Then, I said I was canceling and they were charging me $500. So, I called Mediacom back and they fixed me up and the installation went absolutely fine. But we had a storm and I couldn’t get my volume up or down and switch my TV on and off. It's stuck on overtime. But the thing is the remote would switch channels with no problem. I have tried to get the screw out to change the batteries on the remote but I couldn’t get it to budge. I've also tried walking up to the TV and adjust the volume but that didn't work either. Other than that, their service is pretty good.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Typically once every 2 days we are advised that we have no cable service. We have to turn the TV off and on with the remote control before the picture and service appear. Since subscribing to Mediacom 2 months ago we have had to completely reboot the system with the assistance of the online support recording no less than 4 times... Just as my husband is having to do right now again...In the hopes of getting our service to return. We have also had periods of latency on the screen during programs. I am sorry to complain but we never had these issues with our previous provider so no. We are not satisfied with our Mediacom Cable service.

Neola,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Recently Mediacom service technicians had to come out 5 times to finally fix our TV and phone service. The technicians were pleasant, but the equipment is out of date. The second time I called, the person on the phone from Springfield, MO said she would not sugarcoat the fact that our cable box was so out of date that it was not made anymore. She ordered that it be replaced. It was and that TV problem was fixed. To fix our phone problem, the modem was replaced twice within a few days, which leads us to believe the first replacement was old and junk. Then our second TV stopped working. That problem was fixed by replacing the power cord, which was old and shot. After talking with several family and friends, the consensus is that Mediacom's basic equipment is old/out of date and needs serious replacement company wide.

Dale,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The Mediacom representative was impressive. He was competent and addressed the issues presented to him about cable service as well as additional problems related to the newly installed cable box. I was most impressed with his service. My hope is that he will be recognized for his good work.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This company should try showing appreciation for the customers they have. Instead of randomly increasing your rates!! I have been a customer with them for the past 3 years. After today. I will be finding another company! Overpriced. Poor quality of wireless internet! Find any other company!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

You released my number to whoever and my phone now rings 8 times a day or more for soliciting. I hit 2 to be removed from their list and the calls keep coming. Not to mention being over billed 100$ that was corrected but still... Had zero calls a day before I signed up with Mediacom. I'm very angry about this and wouldn't recommend them if they were the last company to provide internet.

Brian,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Internet works fine as long as I use my own modem and router. Your extreme modem I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I've tried it twice and never again. In other words your extreme modems are junk. And I tell people so.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The lady I spoke to was rude and not customer forward. I have also had my internet and cable go out twice in a month with being told I would not be able to have it fixed for multiple days which is wrong because it shouldn’t be breaking. I should also have a discount on my bill because of this. The time for service is ridiculous too! I should not have to sit at home for five hours to wait for the service people to come. I should get a heads up a half hour before so I can get home not when you are in my driveway. Also they need to get the information correct with all of their customer service people because I was told three different things each person I talked to for the same subject. Very upset with my experience.

Brooke,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I was online within two days of asking for service. The bandwidth was fine, I watched Netflix and there was never any buffering. I was able to follow the elections on YouTube, never interrupted. I got a refund for the equipment when I moved out of that apartment; no hassle.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Mediacom does everything it promises, it just doesn't do it well. As for the service, the sound goes out for 30 seconds or more, many times per day. It's annoying. As for their online customer interface tools (multiple websites, online payment tools, etc), I can't believe how convoluted and unfriendly the whole system is. They have multiple log-in credentials (some require a Mediacom email address, some don't), and often I am redirected to a website that doesn't work. Simply paying my bill takes about 5 clicks to get to the bill paying template. They need a new IT team and to start over with today's technology and not try to piece together yesterday's.

Good morning E,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer service experience when using our products and using our website as well. Based on your feedback we did not meet this goal. We will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have never dealt with a company that treated their customers so badly and could care less about you after they got your money, to start with I had to give the tech. Who installed the system a check even though the installation was not complete. He said he would return the next day and finish, but he never did. I think if you look up all the conservations that I had with the service dept and you will see that in one month I only had TV. No internet, no phone and every time I called it was a new runaround so I finally cancelled my service, I would not recommend you to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I’m new to the area. Mediacom is the only thing available to me at this time but as soon as others open up, I am switching. I’ve had to call customer service way too many times to only have had the service less than 2 months. Service cuts in and out. It’s slow speed even though I was told I got the package with the higher speed. Overpriced but I guess the price will be worth it not to be in a contract when I switch. Netflix and Hulu are always buffering. It’s very frustrating when you have kids and work from home. Too many IDs and passwords just to pay your account or view any information online about your account. I still can’t get in online because I never receive the link to reset my password and customer service cannot help with passwords. I will say that the people I have spoken with at customer service are very friendly and nice and always seem to care about my problem. I never have had an issue with long wait times or rude service reps.

Julie,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have internet and phone. It works great. The customer service has been friendly and helpful. I went to the store and paid my bill. They were also friendly. Love the service. I would recommend this service to anybody. Also gave me the best deal!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

They (Mediacom Knoxville) never sent a cable box, blamed the mail carrier and a technician Billy after canceling on October 4 rescheduled for Monday Oct 8 at 5 pm and no call no showed. We were blown off twice after waiting a whole month. Extremely horrible and unprofessional. I think someone forgot to order the parts and wrongfully and falsely accused the mail service. We will use the wifi hotspot on our phones.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I've had phone and internet with Mediacom for a year and the internet is slow sometimes or it goes out. I also wanted channels such as ITN, INSP and Hallmark Drama and they said they don't have those. However, I got good service and they always do what I look for when I call them. Mediacom is the best.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

We’ve had Mediacom for 11 years and we’ve always been satisfied with it. Recently, my daughter called the sales team for a certain issue and she asked her several questions. However, she didn’t get the answers that she felt like they could’ve given her. But then we’ve always had good luck when the boys come out and work on the TV. They would explain things and work until they find the problem. They were nice and polite too.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Years back, we didn’t have cable at the house we were living in so I got cable from Mediacom. It was way back in the ‘80s. I use it everyday since I watch a lot of shows and sometimes, I like having Showtime HBO. The reps were good and I like Mediacom a lot. I’m happy with it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I was having trouble getting internet. We were stuck with DSL for a long time and people kept promising, “Oh yes, they could get us the real deal.” I’d sign up, get ready and they would come over. And the person that would put it in would say, “Oh I’m sorry. You can’t really get that in your neighborhood or it’ll be much slower.” I was sick of that. I talked to some of my friends and they said they have better luck with Mediacom. We had DirecTV satellite and the internet that we had was really shabby. When the weather was bad, the satellite stuff didn’t work either so we switched.

My interaction with the Mediacom rep was reasonable. When we were gonna have the system installed, I was called out of town on a family emergency for a month. The installer showed up and only my wife was here but he was very helpful and handled the installation well. They called me out in Colorado and he clarified some things. He helped my wife set up a few things that she didn’t understand and I asked if he would do that since we’re not very tech savvy and he was willing to do a couple of those things that we didn’t understand.

I have a few special things like HBO and one other. They always wanna include sports packages and those are the most expensive and we don’t want them. I’d rather get rid of sports and have HBO Showtime and those kinds of things instead. So far, the quality of the reception seems to be good and the internet is definitely faster than we had before. However, there are few things about the new system that we’re trying to better understand. It’s not always obvious to us whether we have a show or not. When we try to call about the channels, sometimes they’d say, “Well, this is not available right now.” So it got a little confusing to us and we’re still trying to sort some of that out but we’re figuring it out overtime. We record some of our favorite programs and then watch them at another time. And occasionally, I order up a movie.

Mediacom Cable expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Mediacom specializes in bringing the same high level of digital services that residents of major metropolitan areas enjoy to small towns and cities across the United States. They currently serve over 1,500 communities in 22 states.

• Find your local office: Find out if Mediacom is available in your state and locate your nearest office on Mediacom’s website. If there isn’t yet availability in your area, Mediacom can find your local provider for you.

• Xtream: Mediacom’s Xtream home service combines the fastest available in-home Wi-fi with a TiVo® DVR, which allows you to record up to five shows at a time, watch your shows in any room of the house and on any device and set your DVR remotely.

• No contracts: Sign up for service from Mediacom without signing a contract. You can cancel at anytime without paying high early cancellation fees.

• Speed Boost: Supercharge your Internet by adding 100 or 150 Mbps to your Internet for only $10 or $20 per month.

• Free HD: Mediacom’s extensive HD lineup is available for customers to enjoy at no extra charge. In addition, if you already own an HDTV set, then Mediacom will automatically upgrade your Mediacom receiver to an HD receiver.

• Best for: Mediacom is best for families and individuals who live in rural areas where Mediacom offers service.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs