Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I would take Mediacom hands down because I've dealt with the other ones and they totally have it. I have their cable service and quality of service is great. I've used their service before and then I ran out of employment and money. I got a past due balance to pay them today. I got no problem with them. They have the best service in town because, if the wind is blowing or it's snowing, or raining too hard, their service is not interrupted. The installers did a good job and took them probably 45 minutes. I'm happy with Mediacom.

My daughter has Mediacom and every time she's had problems they've been right out there to fix it. The sales team was very good but the rep must have been new because she didn't quite explain everything, which was, nevertheless, fine. When they installed it, the service and everybody that I talked to there were very nice. Then I got like a pamphlet about faster internet service and it was only $79 a month for the first year. I wanted to change to that but I didn't want to pay the installation fee and so I left it the same.

Larry,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Don't forget to download the Mediacom Mobile Care application. It is available on both Android and iOS devices. On the application you can check on outages, troubleshoot service issues, set up a service call, check and pay your bill, and view your internet usage just to name a few things.

Christian

Original review: June 17, 2017

I was contacted by Mediacom and told that I needed to switch out my modem in order to upgrade to a newer, more reliable model. I took four hours off work to be home for this to happen. I waited from 12 noon to 8:30 PM but no one showed up or called. I called twice during this time and was told the ticket was still open. The next day I again took off four hours from work and the tech did show up but had the same identical modem that I already had. He said he knew nothing about any hardware upgrade. I had him go ahead a switch it out since I had now missed eight hours of work for nothing. I called Mediacom and was told I would receive a $20 credit for the missed appointment. I make $20 per hour at my place of employment. $20 for $160 does not seem like a fair trade. It would not have been so bad if I had indeed received a new piece of hardware.

Cory,

Christian

Original review: June 16, 2017

We have been connected now for almost two months after agreeing to switch to Mediacom. I was to receive the $500 Amex gift card offer I received in the mail and is included in our signing agreement. I was asked to send snapshots of this card offer to the agent who contacted me.

When I first called to get information about services the employee was very friendly, gave complete and correct information, and informed me of specials I was eligible for. I liked that I did not have to sign a contract for a specific time. The installation of my service was timely and the employee was friendly. The internet connection was consistent and the signal was good. When I called to cancel (due to move) the employee on the phone was very nice and provided me with all the necessary information. Dropping off the equipment after cancellation was quick and painless as well. I would use Mediacom again.

Carrie,

Original review: June 15, 2017

Been a customer for over 2 years with nothing but horrible experiences. Service issues numerous times but today was the final experience which prompted my review. I work at home and need my internet cable moved to another room. Service tech was rescheduled a week ago for unknown reason to yesterday. My window was after 3 pm. Tech calls at 12:30 and I was working and told him he could not interrupt my internet until 3. Had to reschedule to today. 45 min before my appointment a CSR calls to reschedule again saying tech was now unavailable.

They can't get any techs to my residence. What?? They gave me the appointment. How do they make an appointment and then decide it's not in my area? I'm so aggravated. They want me to wait another 5 days! I pay for cable/phone/ and the fastest internet for over 2 years and its horrible customer service. I'm ready to drop this company and forever be done with them. I've had enough!

Debbie,

Don't forget to download the Mediacom mobile care app. It is available on both Android or iOS devices. On the app you can check on outages, troubleshoot service issues, set up a service call, check and pay your bill, and view your internet usage just to name a few things.

Original review: June 14, 2017

My internet keeps going out. I have no service right now. And I switched from AT&T for Mediacom. Which might of been a real mistake. Always having to reset it. I'm NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!! If this doesn't change I'll have to switch back. Hope to hear from you soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your previous account.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I had Mediacom service for a year (from roughly 2015-2016). The service was lacking from installation on. The workers left a mess for me to clean up after making more new holes in my house, insisting they could not use the prior wiring. Then the "deals" they promised with contract were a constant source of contention. I was on the phone with customer service continually regarding my billing, I wasn't given discounts and was charged inappropriately for service I either did not consent to or did not ask for. For instance, I had cancelled my service with them in May of 2016, I was then billed for an additional month of service so I called to question why. It was found that they had never canceled my service as I requested the month prior.

I had sold the house and no longer lived at that address and was still being charged for service!! After being transferred to multiple representatives and waiting on hold for over an hour, they transferred me to a "customer retention" representative. I was livid. I was calling to have charges reversed and questioning why the service wasn't disconnected, as requested a month prior, and you waste my time transferring me to see if you can now retain my business? I felt as a customer they were intentionally giving me the run around- constantly. The customer service was horrendous. I can't imagine how much money they would have charged me for and taken had I not been the type of consumer to watch my billing. I will never shop with Mediacom again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

He got the job done. Had to come back to get it connected to the internet but he gladly did that. Explained things well. He was respectful and spent a lot of time on the project. Arrived on time. Stayed until the job was totally done.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: June 23, 2017

Customer service reached out shortly after this review was published. They immediately offered a satisfactory solution, so I want to rectify my earlier feedback. Thank you customer service agent!

Original review: June 13, 2017

I had called in because there was a charge on our invoice that I couldn't identify. It turned out it was for an appointment with a technician, which we allegedly cancelled at the door. We had made this appointment, however, we did not cancel it. By the time he arrived, we had already found out that a road maintenance crew had cut a cable. My husband drove by the place where the cable was hanging loose, and met the Mediacom technician (by chance). He stopped, explained who he was, and they both confirmed that this is probably causing the outage. The technician then stayed in the area, while the maintenance crew repaired the damage.

After a while, the service was back and the Technician checked in with us to confirm the router started normally. We have no idea why he reported this a cancelled appointment, even though he was here and met with us. Customer service refused to make any corrections, because their records did not show an outage (outages are not reported as such if they don't affect at least 10 people, as we were told before by the technician - if they were, he would not have come out to meet us because he would have known it's not something he could fix).

Ted,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Don't forget to download the Mediacom mobile care app. It is available on both Android or IOS devices. On the app you can check on outages, troubleshoot service issues, set up a service call, check and pay your bill, and view your internet usage just to name a few things.

Original review: June 12, 2017

Literally THE worst experience EVER with a cable company. ALL of them are AWFUL but Mediacom wins the grand prize! 3 service appointment thus far and NO CABLE TV! First guy came too late to enter our development's control box. Next guy could only hook up Internet (which is actually ok service). 3rd guy, today, NO ID and NO CLUE! Came with some used old digital box, could not connect it. HAD no idea what he was doing!

Called Cust. Service. Apparently they HAVE NO HD BOXES but sell you the service they cannot provide! Spoke to someone named "DAN" offshore. A woman, named Dan. Yeah ok! She tried to send us to some address in Dagsboro DE for a digital box but said she had no name of location or phone number (they just get emails and message from them, they are anonymous people -- at this point I was like "What am I dealing with? The mafia? Is this even a real company?").

I tried to set up new appointment (4th one) was told that NO DIGITAL BOX WAS GUARANTEED. I asked "when will you HAVE DIGITAL BOXES?" She had no idea! It was the strangest most frustrating conversation I have ever had! She kept saying she can send someone to connect cable but they had no digital boxes! What does that even mean? How can you sell a service and NOT have the equipment and NOT know when the equipment will be in? They use the most unqualified subcontractors I have EVER seen! And their outsourcing to God KNOWS where in Bangladesh or Timbuktu yields NON ENGLISH speaking rude folks with no CLUE about anything!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Love Mediacom!!! We recently upgraded to the tivo system and we love it. Our tech was fast, efficient and quite knowledgeable about all the issues with the setup. We have always enjoyed good service and follow-up from you with prompt attention. Always good doing business with you.

Had problems with TIVO rebooting 4 or 5 times a day for over a month. Service came out but problem persisted. Finally on week prior to the last service call the system went down altogether. Even the TV itself would not turn on. Second service call replaced the TIVO box. So far the unit seems to be working out fine. Mediacom issued a credit for the first month so all is good.

Outside of the fact that I need my internet coaxial cable replaced - the internet is fast and reliable! Upload and download speeds are pretty quick. Much better than Century 21! I wish Mediacom would move to Vermillion so that I could enjoy their services there.

Elizabeth,

Our commitment is to provide an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I signed up for auto bill pay when I got my first bill. I then got a late payment warning. I called customer service and they said no worries as I was signed up for bill pay. Then another warning that my service was going to be turned off. I called again and was assured that everything was fine. Then my service was turned off and then my credit card was charged and I still have no service. I will call a third time, but I'm looking into other options.

Daniel,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your previous account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Lousy service, noisy internet signals, daily drops in internet service, poor customer service, technical support is done by clueless amateurs. Now we have satellite TV. Don't use Mediacom ever! You will be disappointed.

Linda,

Original review: June 9, 2017

My April statement was sent in your envelope and mailed to Carol Stream Illinois. Evidently, it was lost somehow and I did not get credit. Then I get a bill showing the late amount and the next month's bill. I called in to find out what I should do. Because I did not want to use my banking number I sent a check for the total amount in a plain envelope. It was cashed but not credited. Customer rep Lynn finally helped me and the issue is cleared up. Not happy with other reps attitude.

Joe,

Original review: June 9, 2017

I am not satisfied with the internet part of your service. I was on basic service with internet service that was slow. I went to a bigger package for more channels and better internet, of course at higher cost. Internet still is slower than it should be for what I am paying. Being pretty much the only cable company available, there is no computation for holding the high cost of services.

Albert,

Original review: June 8, 2017

So, nowhere in the ads I've received mentioned a data plan, so imagine my surprise when I suddenly get a MASSIVE pop up telling me I am over my data limit of 400GB after 13 days (???). Which is strange to me considering the only large items I downloaded were 33 GB and 50 GB respectively. Now that overage charge, another thing Mediacom will fail to tell you, they are "kind" enough to drop it this one time, but its $10 per 50GB! Which is ludicrous. This whole data cap system is nothing but a money grab, and once I move I will be canceling my service permanently and will be signing up for my local utility companies 1TB fiber, which is only a little more expensive, but worth avoiding Mediacom's greedy data cap.

Randal,

Original review: June 8, 2017

Was sold a TiVo, faster internet bundle. Installed 2 weeks ago and have had more days with zero internet or slower than dial-up. 1st, told them we had no use for phone, they agreed to take that off. 12 hours after install, had slower than dial-up speed and no Starz package access as in our bundle. Called and was told it would be a week before they showed. After they had me reboot the system, lost all internet completely and was told the Starz not working was on my side and tech would fix.

Called again after holiday and managed to get someone out next day. The Tech arrived and said he found nothing wrong with internet after fiddling with box and that we couldn't have Starz because we didn't have phone option (even though every other person, including the one who sold us the bundle, said we could). Speeds were fast enough until next day, still couldn't stream a movie without buffering every couple minutes (our "old internet" rarely had a problem streaming anything).

Sunday night, had no access to Netflix, YouTube or Hulu. Called, they said they'd send another tech out. Tech just left 10 min ago after replacing wires, WiFi works, TiVo/Live TV doesn't. Call and told to schedule ANOTHER appointment and wait more days... OR pay more money for business support to guarantee service same day. So now we are expected to pay more money to have service that doesn't work? Then was told we'd be charged for canceling the service. Mediacom reps are so uninformed it's criminal.

I am happy with my service for home, computer, tv, phone. When have any problems, service is quickly done... do not have to wait for days. Problems quickly solved without question or excuses. Would recommend your service to anyone looking for reliable connections and service. Mediacom is very reliable and convenient.

I was with CenturyLink and it seemed like it would take hours to get to a live person if I had a question. Also, my grandson was having trouble with YouTube. He would get started doing it and all of a sudden it would just shut him off and he was getting frustrated. But we’ve noticed a big difference since we've switched to Mediacom. The only trouble was when I first signed up, I told the person who was taking down my information how to spell my name several times and she still misspelled both names. And so, when we were trying to hook up a new equipment, we could never get through it because they had a different password type name than what we were using. Nevertheless, Mediacom is a lot cheaper than what I was paying before. And though our internet kind of goes down all of a sudden once in a while, my grandson isn’t complaining like he was before.

They arrived promptly and was thorough and very courteous. They tracked the problem to a coax in the attic. They were very knowledgeable about how to do the repair. They explained what was done to fix the problem. They were good employees that know how to treat a customer.

Customer service was great, helped to connect signal booster for us. Thank you. Time on the phone was short once we were connected to a real person. The wait time was about 30 minutes. We are very grateful for the assistance. I have no problem recommending others to use Mediacom.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

TV signal was out for some time, but it did came back off and on. It never was any good receptions for weeks. Now after they replaced the connecting box outside line from the pole, it works perfect again. Thank you Mediacom.

Dena,

Original review: June 7, 2017

I have too much equipment in driving area of my driveway. I have requested it to be updated and buried but no response. Also I have cable that is still not buried. My relatives and children have fell over these pedestals and almost hit them with cars. Please take care of this. I pay a lot for your service.

Gary,

Original review: June 7, 2017

Think it is too costly for what channels we get - maybe some more that don't have the same programs such as all advertisements or movies on one channel then a week or so on another as they have been for several weeks.

Marvin,

Original review: June 7, 2017

Terrible service. Unannounced doubling of my 90 year old father's monthly bill. Called customer service twice. Put on hold numerous times, transferred to different departments and after 25 minutes on the phone each time Mediacom said the same thing, "We will not lower the price". I was told if I did not like it I could cancel the service. What a shame that this is the best Mediacom could do!!

We have been users of MC for a very long time. Our past monthly bill for three services was 198. I called and complained about the cost and was reduced to 135. Why do I have to call and complain to receive a lower rate? Not a good way to treat long-time customers and retain their loyalty.

I've always had Mediacom, off and on, and I’m happy with them. I watch cable all the time when I'm upstairs and I'm at home. If it goes out, I call and after a while they fix it and then it comes back on.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our HOA has been trying to speak about having one single account for 560 unit owners for a few years now. No Luck! Mediacom is dropping the ball. We have been waiting for Mediacom to take away those big green crooked leaning utility boxes all over our property. It's been at least three years now. Can you please do what you said you would do and put them flat with the ground. The service is most of the time good. No complaints about the service. It's a good selection of broadcast channels. The price is way too high. I am watching more and more on the internet with smart TV. Sooner or later I will be cutting the cord because of price. I have and pay for four accounts in four units. Again, Your service is good. Your price is way too high. Your road crews for the ugly green utility boxes are a no show. They can do better. Well, It's good and bad. That's my two cents.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have really good experience at Mediacom whenever we call and always get expert help. Several times when we talk with technical representatives they guide us beautifully as we are very old-senior people not computer-savvy and it would take us a while to understand the IT jargon.

Mediacom Cable Company Profile