Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.68/5

Mediacom Communications offers best​-​in​-​class technology across rural America.​ ​With the fastest in-home WiFi, TiVo® DVR, 1 Gig Speed and so much more - customers are guaranteed to have a superior in-home entertainment experience. One of the fastest internet speed providers across their footprint; Netflix® has ranked Mediacom one of the top internet providers in April 2016. As the world becomes more technologically advanced so does Mediacom, investing millions into a nationwide fiber optic infrastructure so small town America will get to enjoy the most advanced Digital TV, High Speed Internet, and Digital Phone service for years to come. Hop on the super speedway and visit ​Mediacomcable.com​ to get the best in TV & Internet service today!

Mediacom Cable Learn More

Mediacom Cable Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Original review: April 30, 2020

We've been a Mediacom customer since 1994. We're pretty satisfied with the service most of the time and they’ve come out whenever we've needed them to.

Typically, the internet is reliable. We have had some kind of buffering with our sound lately on our TVs, which I don’t understand. We got one TV that’s plugged right into the connection in the wall, that one buffers sometimes. Sometimes the sound goes out on the TV, and then if you go up one channel and come back down, then the sound comes back on. I don’t quite understand why it does that. Also, we had a really bad connection into our house and that gave us some really unreliable TV connection and internet connectivity. Several technicians came out at different times and the last ones finally got it.

When I called about the TV, it's been great. When I called about my internet and any problems I'm having there, not quite as stellar. I have Outlook on my computer. That’s what I use to conduct my email business. I'm the administrative director for a non-profit and I set up a distribution list so I could send emails to all of the members. Everything was working fine until they did a high-speed internet upgrade, and that has been a year to a year and a half ago. When they did the upgrade, my distribution list wasn’t working any longer, and I was getting all these bounce-backs saying that, “This was undeliverable to Mr. X and Ms. Y,”. Before that, there was no issue.

What I had to do is I had to take my one distribution list and split it into three, 12 to 14 on a list, in order for my messages to get sent to everybody. When I do that, I didn’t get the bounce-backs. I told Mediacom that if you go to Outlook and you ask how many people can you put in a distribution list, it's up to 50. But what I found is I had to cut it down in order for it to go through. They just said, “That’s your problem. That’s an Outlook problem, not ours.” I was like, “I don’t quite agree with that because it worked before, and now, it doesn’t work, and nothing changed on my Outlook but something changed with you.”

Then, it was just weird. They created this ghost email account for me, that’s why I had Gary get on the phone with me ‘cause I couldn’t figure out what in the daylight was going on with that. I wasn’t getting some of my emails. It was just a mess. He finally got that all straightened out for me so right now, that part is working okay. I still have my distribution list split up, which isn’t ideal ‘cause it’d be best if you send one message to everybody all at the same time, but I can't do that. And I had to pay somebody ‘cause I didn’t know the right questions to ask and he did.

Mediacom has been very responsive, except with the internet thing. Also, twice I talked to a tech and they said, “I can't give you the answer. I don’t understand what's happening here, so I am going to send it up to the next higher-up person, and they will contact you within 72 hours.” I never ever got a call back from anybody at that point. They didn’t do what they said they were going to, but I just shrugged my shoulders and kept on ‘cause I didn’t expect them to call me, and they didn’t. So, that’s a disappointment. If you say you're gonna do something, you should do it. And Mediacom is a little expensive ‘cause we do everything with them: phone, cable, internet connection. It's a pricey monthly bill.

Good Afternoon Bonnie,
Thank you for the review. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with group emails. There was a company decision to limit the number of emails you can send in a group to 25. This was a decision to try control spam and fraud. What a few bad people do affects the masses. We at one time did allow a group of 50 in an email. This was only done to try and protect our customers security and privacy. I do apologize if we did not provide you with this information properly. Mediacom appreciates your business.

Beverley Hiett

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Compared to the other companies, Mediacom Cable has been better. The installation was smooth. We recently upgraded to 1 Gigabyte packet for an extender for our basement, and the speed has been great. When I upgraded to this new package for about the same price with some new TV stuff, the rep was very helpful in saying, “Hey, look, this is a better deal and it’s the same price with these options.” So, she was great. I’m glad I upgraded. There have been some hiccups where when a lot of people get on, or during the day when everyone's connection will go down for a little bit and then come back up. I’m trying to do remote work and the interruptions can be problematic during a meeting.

The home Wi-Fi interface for interacting with the modem limits your options by a lot. I’ve always been a bit of a power user and have typed in admin and password to get into my router to try and do some customized things, and so it is very limited in terms of how much I can do with the one that is provided. I understand the fact that they don’t want too many people fouling things up, but it seems like there are a couple of other features they could add in there where it makes it easier to track who is online and easier to limit internet usage.It would be nice if they could manage those types of settings, so that way I could prioritize my work computer or work programs compared to what other people are also on.

Also, it would be nice if they have some indicator for what the local network traffic is like -- the one that gives you a red, yellow, green indicator of what the local network traffic is. If I knew the local traffic was green, and yet I was still having problems, I could connect with my cellphone, like use the Mediacom app to say, “I’m gonna login,” and locally, if they see what the traffic is like, then I would say, “Oh, well, then I need to troubleshoot something with my router and actually just reset it.” So, I feel like I’ve reset my router when the problem is a little traffic is the problem, and that is unnecessary. Nevertheless, overall, I like the service. I’m a heavy internet user even without work, and it seems to all work well. I like that it works well with Macs, iPhones, PCs as well as anything else.

Good Afternoon Stephen,
    We appreciate you taking the time to review your rating on the Consumer Affairs website. I do show you have mentioned having some problems when you are doing remote work. I do show you have added port forwarding to your router. Sometimes from previous experience that can cause problems with your router. Just like when software goes corrupt. You might try deleting your port forwarding and resetting the modem and see if that helps. After you have confirmed it is working slowly add the port forwards back in one at a time and see how it goes. If that does not solve your problem and you are still having problems, please contact our customer service department for further assistance. Mediacom appreciates your business.

Beverley Hiett

Original review: April 5, 2020

I have my phone, my internet, and my TV all with Mediacom. We moved into this house in 1976 and we live close to a freeway. People on phones and the old CB radios interfered with our signal, so we went to cable tv. Before there were satellite TVs, Mediacom was the only cable company that you could use here in Des Moines. They didn't have any competition. Their name was Heritage Cable and it's been the only thing that was available in Des Moines for years. Even before we moved here, we had cable TV in the home that we lived in. We've been long time customers of this.

Six years ago, the rates got extremely high, and I called to see what we could do about that. The customer service at that particular time wasn't very helpful though, so I said, "Fine, see y'all down the road, Jack." We bundled everything and we went to DirecTV, which I loved. They had the absolutely best customer service and technicians, until AT&T took them over and it was just downhill from there. Also, they had CenturyLink internet service and it was so slow. It was terrible. I went back to Mediacom for their internet service. It has always been very good and reasonably priced. Speed is good too. Once in a while, there's a problem with the service, but all things considered, it was not very often. They've been good.

When AT&T DirecTV got so crappy, I told my husband that we were gonna try Mediacom again for a while and we would see what happened. It was hard because there are so many different things out there that you could stream, so I didn't know what we would do. When you can get practically everything for $60 a month, and Mediacom's or DirecTV's rates go up, it makes it hard to stay a loyal customer.

When I had Mediacom come out and install the cable TV service, the first technician called and said he was on his way. He was within the two-hour window and I thought he would be here in the next 20 minutes, but he didn't show. An hour and 15 minutes later, I finally called and I told them I was supposed to have a technician. I said that he called that morning, said he would come and that he was on his way. I didn't know where he was on his way from, but I looked at the phone number and it was from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. That's a two-hour drive. In the meantime, they sent somebody else who was a nice guy. He did a great job too, but some of the stuff wouldn't load. He couldn't stay here for six hours waiting for something to work though. He had to get on to his next appointment.

We thought that the problem would correct itself overnight. It made sense, but the next day went through and all the stuff still wasn't loading. We had to set up a second appointment, and the second guy that came out was from Des Moines and he is a Mediacom employee, not a contract employee. He did a great job as well. He made sure everything was loaded. He discovered that there was a problem, contacted somebody and got that fixed. By the way, the lady that I called to set up that appointment was super. I really liked her. She did a great job. She said part of my order was still held up and that she would get that processed. She said that it may fix the whole thing, but they were gonna send somebody out anyway and that's all been good.

Good Afternoon Mary,
    Welcome back, we are glad you have chosen to return to Mediacom. I apologize that we had to return for a second visit to get everything connected. I am glad you are now enjoying your services. If you ever need assistance, please never hesitate to call our customer service department. We are available 24/7. Now you can also text Molli (66554) for support as well. Mediacom appreciates your business and thank you for the feedback.

Beverley Hiett

Original review: March 23, 2020

I’ve had Mediacom cable for years with my parents and I like it except for the fact that some of the channels got taken off. I got that Disney Family Package which had the movies that we could get through the premium channel but now that’s gone. In order to get movies from Disney, you have to go to Disney Plus. There’s no Disney Junior. If they put more family-oriented, kid-friendly stuff on here, that would be more appropriate than some of these stars. I understand they have to have that for the adults but the kids need something just for them. I have had Mediacom and I prefer them, but I want them to have more programs for family. My son loves the educational channels and he’s only six. We all watch what we wanna watch. Travis watches his sports package. Troy likes his Nick Junior and Disney Junior. I’m in-between everything. But we use Mediacom on a day-to-day basis for communication and entertainment.

Some of the people who have come and hooked up the service weren't really nice or friendly. Some have been good but the one who did the hookup in my Dad’s room was kinda rude. My son, being six, was just asking questions and he got up, left and got rude. We’ve also had the box where we moved to and they didn’t even put the cover back on. I had to call. Then they left the cord out dangling within a doorway and my son fell and got a scratch. My brother who can't see also fell. But there was no compensation on those. That is okay but when I'm saying that they’re getting hurt, the Mediacom people might not have done that that way. They did come back and put it back the right way. But the guy was kinda rude. Those things aside, I am satisfied with Mediacom.

Good afternoon Casey,

Thank you for your review and valued Mediacom business as it is greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear that you and your family are satisfied with our company and the service we provide. We do apologize about any channel lineup issues and any unpleasant technician interactions that you may have had. We can always put in a channel request ticket to hopefully reacquire a network or networks in the future. I will also relay the feedback you provided about the technicians in your review. No interaction you have with our personnel should be unprofessional, unpleasant, or rude. This is unacceptable and we are very sorry. Please, if you have any further concerns or such let us know. We are always here to help and hope we can provide you with a positive experience. Call us anytime at 855-633-4226 or text us at 66554. Have a wonderful day!

Thanks,

Christian

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

In the beginning, we bundled everything – the TV, the internet and telephone, and CenturyLink with DIRECTV was getting so expensive, plus the fact that when it rained and when it snowed, we would lose our signal. So, we decided to switch to Mediacom and their service has been good. They’ve always been very helpful if I call with an issue. If they can fix over the phone, they’ll do that, and if not, then they'd send somebody out quickly. Installation went fine except for the young man that put it in. I’m not a technician, so I just assumed he knew what he was doing. When he put the modem behind the television, I said to him, “Well, the modem has always been upstairs. What about our computers?” He said, “Well, I don’t have anything to do with computers,” and he left. So, we had to hire a friend of ours to come over and we spent another $170 to have him jerry-rig something so that our computers would work. That was fine and everything worked.

And then, all of a sudden, we started having trouble with our phone. It would drop calls. I called Mediacom and their rep tried two or three different things. Finally, a man came out that seemed to know what he was doing. I told him what the previous kid said and he said, “He just didn’t wanna run the wires. The modem should be upstairs, by your computer because these little boxes (whatever that our friend had put on), sometimes will interfere with your phone signal, and so it dropped calls.” He was so nice and he came back in a couple weeks. He put the modem upstairs, ran a wire outside, up on the roof of the house and back in to where the computers are, and we haven’t had any trouble since.

Our modem speed is better, which we weren’t getting before because it was downstairs and it was going through so many connections. However, the bill just went up $30 a month, which I didn't like. I said, “Why did it go up $30 a month?” And the rep said, “Well, your contract, your special rate is over.” Now, the rate is getting back up there to where it’s almost what it was when I had DIRECTV. I wasn’t very happy with that because we're retired, we're on a fixed income, and the price was one reason I switched to Mediacom, to get our monthly bills down. Other than that, our experience with Mediacom Cable has been fine. We’ve had some issues with the TV but they’ve come quickly and resolved them.

Good Afternoon Carol,
    We want to thank you for your year of patronage to our company and taking the time to review your rating on the Consumer Affairs website. The only reason I would think the technician would say he doesn't do anything with computers is we guarantee internet connection but do not set up every device with WiFi in your home. We would provide you with your WiFi name and password if you are using our WiFi and not your own. We would also want the modem to be in a central location in your home to support WiFi through the home. Did your friend set up a WiFi Adapter for your computer? Mediacom Appreciates your business.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I never have any issues out of my internet. I am extremely happy. It never runs slow and it’s a great price. The gentlemen that hooked everything up for me was incredibly sweet and fast. I love that I can pay everything from the Mediacom app.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Router-very long involved process. Told us we didn’t need a router. Direct connected to Mediacom which messed up phone line. Phone-called to get phone issue resolved. Spent at 15 mins trying to resolve, got put on hold, call picked up by some new person. Never resolved!???

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Spoke with Hosea' from the Philippines and he reset my modem and did several other things to see if he could get my internet up and running. He was very knowledgeable in what he was doing. He was very nice, friendly and caring. He couldn't fix it but told me he was running something and should come back up in 2 hrs. Call back if I needed to. Ty

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

And I have to keep calling in to have you come out to fix it. And you won't even issue a credit for my issues during this time. I even bought a new modem/router because you originally said it was my issue and now that it is not. I'm stuck with it! NOT HAPPY!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

This is not a reflection on the technician that came to my home. He indicated that the low signal level coming to my house had to be fixed at a substation. He indicated it could take up to 48 hours. I was never notified when or if the issue had been re

Mediacom Cable author review by ConsumerAffairs

Mediacom specializes in bringing the same high level of digital services that residents of major metropolitan areas enjoy to small towns and cities across the United States. They currently serve over 1,500 communities in 22 states.

• Find your local office: Find out if Mediacom is available in your state and locate your nearest office on Mediacom’s website. If there isn’t yet availability in your area, Mediacom can find your local provider for you.

• Xtream: Mediacom’s Xtream home service combines the fastest available in-home Wi-fi with a TiVo® DVR, which allows you to record up to five shows at a time, watch your shows in any room of the house and on any device and set your DVR remotely.

• No contracts: Sign up for service from Mediacom without signing a contract. You can cancel at anytime without paying high early cancellation fees.

• Speed Boost: Supercharge your Internet by adding 100 or 150 Mbps to your Internet for only $10 or $20 per month.

• Free HD: Mediacom’s extensive HD lineup is available for customers to enjoy at no extra charge. In addition, if you already own an HDTV set, then Mediacom will automatically upgrade your Mediacom receiver to an HD receiver.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team