Call toll free
4.34/5
Based on 608 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Mediacom Communications offers best​-​in​-​class technology across rural America.​ ​With the fastest in-home WiFi, TiVo® DVR, 1 Gig Speed and so much more - customers are guaranteed to have a superior in-home entertainment experience. One of the fastest internet speed providers across their footprint; Netflix® has ranked Mediacom one of the top internet providers in April 2016. As the world becomes more technologically advanced so does Mediacom, investing millions into a nationwide fiber optic infrastructure so small town America will get to enjoy the most advanced Digital TV, High Speed Internet, and Digital Phone service for years to come. Hop on the super speedway and visit ​Mediacomcable.com​ to get the best in TV & Internet service today!

2527 Mediacom Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

I attempted to downgrade my service and I have gotten the absolute run around from Mediacom. After having spoken to now 5 different representatives I have been told 5 different things. Mediacom charged me over $30 more than was stated on my online account as due and will now not refund me. I was even told by one of the representatives to 'keep my receipt' for one of my transactions because I would be charged for the equipment regardless of my having returned it and would need the receipt to fight the charge at a later date. I have upgraded service before and have not been charged an additional fee. Yet, downgrading includes a nearly $30 charge, which every single representative I spoke with failed to mention to me. I wasn't even told that a technician would be on my property.

I am being punished for not requiring the services I originally signed up for and wish so much that there were another viable option for internet in my area. Honestly, the amount of time I have spent to keep Mediacom from stealing my money is getting ridiculous. All I want is to be charged for the service I am using. Why is that so difficult? I am constantly having to scrutinize my bill to assure that Mediacom hasn't slipped me a charge that should not apply to my household.

I'm even being charged taxes on services that I do not currently have! I just don't understand why the company's customer service is so horrible. Just having my own modem makes my life difficult. I'm having to constantly remind the company of this fact to avoid the $10 monthly modem rental fee, then I never have my bill amended, they just credit my account which further complicates my bill and makes it ever MORE difficult for me to keep up with what I'm being charged. If I could live without Mediacom, I would. Hopefully someday, I will have the option to use another carrier. For now, a poor review will have to do. Something's gotta give, Mediacom. You're abusing your customers and it needs to stop. My internet service is good, I don't have connectivity issues, but I'm certainly paying for it.

Margaret,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. We will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Don't forget to download the Mediacom Mobile Care app. It is available on both Android and iOS devices. On the app you can check on outages, troubleshoot service issues, set up a service call, check and pay your bill, and view your internet usage just to name a few things.

Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to help resolve your issues. We appreciate your business!

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I got Mediacom in 2003 and back then, it was the only cable company here in Moultrie. And I’ve been with them ever since. When I’m getting ready to pay my bill, I speak with their customer service representatives and our interactions go well. They talk nicely, they're respectable, and whatever I call them about, they try to handle it and work it out for me. Mediacom is doing good, and I’ve already talked to other people to go with them. It’s a good cable company.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I made a mistake in believing that Mediacom knew what they were doing. I talked to the people in our local office here and that's when I got the original pricing. We agreed on a price but the first bill I got was $8 or $10 higher than that. I just got a second bill and it's higher than the first bill. I don't know if it changed, so I'm not a happy camper.

The installation process was nice and while the quality of service was good, it only works fine when it doesn't go out. One of the reasons I changed was because I had satellite and it was going out every time the weather was bad. And Mediacom went out the first time we had a storm so I'm not real happy about that either. Also, the remotes don't work fine and are not conducive to use. If I wanna flip back to the previous channel, I can't just hold the thing in my hand. The button is not by the channel button like it is on every other remote in the world. It's down on the bottom right. It doesn't appear to be ergonomically designed. All in all, my experience with Mediacom is iffy at best.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I lost my cable 6/14. I called to set up a service call for 6/18. The customer service representative kept saying she would get me in sooner. I specifically told her no as I will not be home. Apparently she changed it and they arrived while I was at work. No one from Mediacom contacted me about the change. So I call in today to find out where the repair person is and was told my appointment was canceled. Now I cannot get cable until this Thursday. I have gone a week without TV. Unacceptable.

Cristy,

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2018

Easily the most terrible internet/cable company I’ve ever had the misfortune of being a customer of. My area only has Mediacom for cable, so we got service. I'm not even a month into my service yet, and I’ve already had to call tech support SIX TIMES because their service messes up so often. One of the six technicians was helpful... the other five were clueless and made it clear they could care less about my satisfaction. One “customer service” rep even promised me a credit since my service wasn’t working, and supposedly scheduled a technician to come to our home and resolve the issue.

Five days later when the supposed appointment was set, no one showed up. Why? Because the rep not only didn’t schedule the appointment, he didn’t give me the credit either. If you’re looking for a cable/internet company that will give you constant frustration, who won’t provide the service you were promised, and who will LIE to you, Mediacom is your company. One of the most unprofessional and pathetic companies I’ve ever encountered. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Taylor,

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Original review: June 16, 2018

My cable box/Tivo just died. Soonest they can send someone is 2 weeks. Can't send a new box. Can't swap it with one from a local office. Nope, they MUST send someone out. 2 weeks is the soonest. I told them that I could get Dish out here in like 2 days with new service. They couldn't change anything.

John,

Original review: June 16, 2018

I've had Mediacom's cable service and its quality and features are good. When I have a problem, I don’t have to wait a week or two to get it solved. Their customer service representatives always try to solve my problem without sending anyone. And then if they can’t, they send me someone right on. And the person that comes is always very nice and helpful. Also, somebody came out to put a different box in for my TV, and he was fine, too, and I couldn’t ask anybody to be any better. Everything’s good but I’ve got channels that I don’t need, and all I get are news channels, talk channels, and sports channels. I am an elderly lady on a fixed income and I was trying to get my cable bill downs some, so I'm on the package that they have put me on. And I really would like to have different channels, but I can’t afford to go up another package. Other than that, I'm satisfied with Mediacom and I'd tell somebody to go with them.

Original review: June 15, 2018

After 11 years using this company for internet I moved... with which I then spent the last EIGHT months trying to get service to my new house... being sent letters saying line was laid and having to call for a person to come out to which on all 3 accounts was told no such line was laid... then call back. Then to be told to come back in the Spring and we will set up time to bury a line... never done!!! Can they return my 2 hours a day for eight months... noooooo! But they can finally tell me, FINALLY with no sorry for your inconvenience or anything, that, "Your address is unserviceable!!!" Thank you for wasting my time for 8 months and the not accounting my 11 years I used you prior! Horrible company and customer service. Never has a clue as to what is going on at all! Wish I owned this type of monopoly to which I could do as I pleased!

Sandy,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. We will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you.

Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to help look into your issues. We appreciate your business!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I got cable through Mediacom and they provide good service. The Mediacom rep answers our questions when we go in there.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I like Mediacom. Whenever you call them, they're right there for you and they'll try to help you as much as they can. I've been with them for a long time and they get the job done. I used to have internet, but I got it cut off because the cost was just too high. I currently have the cable and the phone, and I like the service. I got it all into one and it's a reasonable price.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We had an appointment scheduled for Friday the 15th. Mediacom called yesterday the 12th and offered to send someone today the 13th. They called today, the 13th to say they can’t make it and our next earliest appointment would be the 19th, 4 days after our original appointment that we didn’t ask to be changed. We have never had good service nor customer service with Mediacom, our internet goes out several times a day, sometimes for long periods of time.

Anthony,

Original review: June 13, 2018

My mother has Mediacom for her phone, internet, and cable. This company is a joke!!! My mother’s phone has not worked properly in weeks. I called this company yesterday and spent over an hour on the phone with them trying to get this issue resolved. I explained to the person I talked to that my mother is on hospice and is dying and they need to get someone out there to fix it pronto. I tried calling my mother again today to see how she is doing, and as usual the phone still doesn't work. I called the company back again today and let them know. I was furious that they aren't taking this issue seriously.

The gal I spoke with today told me they had scheduled something 8 days out. Are you freakin kidding me? My mother is dying and this company thinks it is OK to make her go 8 more days without a phone? The gal I spoke with today put me hold and checked on me about every 5 mins for the 1st 20 minutes, while she was waiting on her end to hear any resolution for our problem. It was taking a while, so the gal took my number and said she would call me back instead of me waiting all day on hold, once she heard from her people. It has been 3 hours and I still have not heard anything from them. Not good service at all!!! I would not recommend this company to anyone!!! Go to a company that cares about its customers, I sure don't see it with Mediacom...

Susan,

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have to pay $69.99 per month for the lowest speed internet. I was told they didn't have anything cheaper. I've had internet only in another state with Frontier for $35 a month. Mediacom has one of the highest internet services around. Do they really need money that bad? They know they've got you over a barrel and they take full advantage.

Mara,

Original review: June 13, 2018

Every year we have start up troubles with Mediacom. We got the phone and the computer line and the installation is always a bit shaky. It works for two days and doesn't. And then a guy comes out and he goes, "Oh, this wasn't done right." He gets it fixed up and we're good as gold for the rest of the season. We use this only on a temporary basis. We live in the US for six months of the year and then we resign or cancel or do whatever and then in October when we get back here we start up again. So we're not a full-time subscriber.

I wish it didn't cost so much to put it on vacation, like with the monthly fee to keep it active but not use it. We would certainly go that route but it's so much money just to have it sit there that we cancelled it every year and then have to go through this initial start-up troubles again the following year. But the overall quality of service is absolutely perfect. And the Mediacom people are perfect to deal with. They came out and fixed our problems. I just wish we could skip the problems right off the bat. If we can get past that start up thing they're as good as gold.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2018

I got basic TV and a telephone with Medicacom and I'm paying $175 a month. When I first started out back in the 60's, it was about $20 a month. But now it's getting out of hand. I'm retired and the bill is too much for what I get. I called them and asked if they could do anything about the bill and all I was sent was a TV schedule for the prices. So, I wasn't satisfied with my experience.

Other than that, I've been with Medicacom for 37 years and over the times, my interaction with their reps have been pretty good. I had a lot of trouble with my phone for a while and I was a month and a half or more without a phone. So, all I had was my cellphone to get hold of them to get somebody to fix it. Finally, when I got somebody, they had to change or put some newer parts in, so it's okay again. Once you get a hold of their customer service reps, it's not so bad. They're up in Virginia now and the number they gave me was a runaround to finally get somebody that I could talk to besides getting a machine. So, that part was hard. Finally, I had to go through billing to get to talk to somebody and once I called billing, they talked to me and set me up.

Bill,

Original review: June 11, 2018

I ordered Mediacom internet on a Monday for my new home. That Friday they were to come out and install it for me. They never showed up. Apparently the person who took down my information got my address and number incorrect. So I rescheduled the installation for the following Monday. The service tech shows up and says I should have gotten a package in the mail with my equipment...never did. I called and apparently it was never shipped...their only option to help me, "oh, we can schedule another appointment." How many appointments and time off do I have to take for you to get stuff done right? Why should I take another day off for something else to go awry due to Incompetence?

Ashlee,

Original review: June 11, 2018

I moved from Iowa to Minnesota about 1 year ago. I live a very small town (pop: 2500) and have 2 choices for internet: Mediacom and CenturyLink. Since CenturyLink thinks that 12MB is "fast" these days, I chose Mediacom. What a mistake. I bought a "package deal" even though I didn't need a phone and I dislike cable's double dipping of charging me monthly AND showing the same ads I get on free TV. I signed up anyway.

For 4 months, my internet service sucked. Some days I'd get a whopping 12kb/s download speeds, other times I'd get my paid for 200MB/s speeds. It was very erratic. I had a technician out to my place 4 times, tried 2 new modems and the problem persisted. I FINALLY got the tech to check my physical lines and found where the problem was. Since, I have gotten consistent internet service. However, I was charged each and every month the full price for service not provided. Then, my year was up. I found I now had "basic cable" and lost channels I had been watching for a year. I called and was told that I should have never gotten those extra channels.

I went to their website to see what exactly I was supposed to have. No information whatsoever could I find about what my account was supposed to have. My bill went up $30 for even less service. Well, I promptly called them and cancelled my phone and cable, keeping my internet, since they have a monopoly here (12MB/s vs 200MB/s is NOT competition). Of course they charge me some more money to flip a switch. $30 worth. They have yet to pick up their TiVo box and I can just see my bill running up even more.

Mediacom talks about "customer service" yet every move they make screams "business first." You call for anything and get the business preferred auto-recordings (has any customer anywhere said, "I want to answer a bunch of asinine questions before ever talking to a live human being!?"). Then, when you hang up, get the business preferred "take a survey" callback. If you don't answer, or immediately hang up, you get another ring in 5 minutes. Mediacom assumes that everyone has unlimited on their phones, I guess. I don't. I pay for each and every minute on my phone. All in all, since Mediacom has no competition, they can do whatever they wish, and they do. Another company where customers come last. Less than 1 star for me. I am glad to see that others have had better service. Not me, though.

Alan,

Original review: June 11, 2018

I was using Charter when I was in North Carolina and I was happy with them. When I moved up here, I chose Mediacom since they are with Charter. Their sales team was fine but the installer kept getting phone calls while he was here. Then somebody came in and said they had a meeting and he didn’t hook up the cable to the TV. He hooked up the three different color plug in things, so that was kind of weird.

I have cable service with Mediacom and their service has been really great. I got the box and HDTV. My mom's 81 years old and I've done the Favorites because she has favorite shows that she likes to watch. Sometimes my phone doesn’t work, so I have to reset the cable and sometimes it won't reset until the next day. Also, there are times when I am watching a show and the picture freezes, but the people are still talking. Otherwise, I'm happy with the service.

On the 28th, I'm also going to go get the Wi-Fi. Their salesman, Terry, came to my door and that was when I decided to do it. He was very friendly and he explained things to me. I'd tell others that they need to do Mediacom because if they have a problem, Mediacom's reps would be there to fix it. It's better than having the satellite where you'd lose everything if there were storms or bad weather and you'd be paying for something you couldn't see.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Internet service has been good so far with Mediacom and they are the cheapest for as many gigabytes as I can get. The guy who hooked up our service was really nice and professional. He was really fast and I was very happy with him.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Our TV and phone are hooked together with Mediacom. However, the TV wasn't working and it wouldn't turn on. I called MediaCom and told them that somebody should come because there is no sense to turn the TV on if there is nothing on. Their technician fixed it and now it's doing okay. Still, if one goes out, so does the other. Mediacom always sends a nice and helpful person. They fix it and they're on their merry way.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I needed internet and Mediacom happened to be one of two companies available where I live. They installed the cable which I could have done for myself as I'm a maintenance man, but they did it for me and it seems to work fine. My complaint is where I live, I'm the maintenance man for all the rentals. Every time somebody moves out and moves in where they get Mediacom, dish or whatever, the techs always run a new coax and don't take the old coax out. They take the old satellites in but don't take down the post. If anybody comes along with one satellite again, they leave the old one there and put a new one next to the old one.

My other trouble is with the router as the Wi-Fi tends to drop a lot. But overall, the service is all right. I have plenty of upload and download bandwidth to do things I do online and everything seems to go pretty well on par for what I can figure. The internet speed and the helpfulness of everybody I interact with on the phone and in person seem to go just fine. Everybody's professional and they worked out good. It's also economical for me just having internet as it's about the same price what I plan to have internet service on my cellphone but with Mediacom's internet I can do a lot more. The price could be a little bit lower but it's definitely not the most expensive service out there. It's still pretty reliable, so economically speaking, it's not a bad deal.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My other family members had Mediacom so I also got them, and I like their service. The sales team was very attentive. If I have a question, I could call them. I wasn’t used to calling the 1-800 number that they gave me because I wasn’t sure it was a real number. But through their explanation and being patient with me and walking me through, I found that it was real.

A young man came in to set up the cable. He answered any questions that I had, and he even showed me how to operate the remote control. He was a big help. I'm on a limited income so I'm not experiencing all the channels that they have to offer, but for the ones that I do have, I'm satisfied. I have experienced some blackouts, but when you call them, they get on it and they take care of the problem. I'm very satisfied with the quality of service that I received.

Resolution response: June 15, 2018

They explained the situation better than the rude customer service representatives I have been dealing with via phone, Facebook, and Twitter While I was still charged for services I did not receive, I will never deal with this company in ANY capacity.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I was a Mediacom employee from June 2014-July 2015. I left on my own accord for a better career opportunity that is when the issues started. I grew tired of the constant phone calls I had to make where I could only ever deal with an automated computer. So finally on August 21, 2017, I contacted a competitor and had their services installed. My account with Mediacom was past-due because I did not pay the bill. So on August 22, 2017, Mediacom "soft" disconnected my services by disabling my equipment, but, it didn't matter because the services were disconnected from my house when the new company came in. I never thought much about it. Recently my husband and I began the process of purchasing a house and when I pulled my credit there is Mediacom reporting to all three bureaus so I'm like okay... let me pay them. So I call with every intention of paying the full balance of my account to settle it out.

They read out my balance of $495, I ask them to explain the bill to me. I do not argue ANY charges prior to August 22, 2017, WHEN THEY DISCONNECTED MY EQUIPMENT - This has been admitted to me on numerous occasions on various forms of communication with the company. The company continues to charge me up until September 22, 2017 for services I DID NOT RECEIVE. They do not care, they claim services were still running on the line that did not work outside of my house. When my current company installed services they disconnected Mediacom's line and put their own. While I worked there I learned that two cable companies cannot provide service to one house. Mediacom wanted NO part of that and ignored my statement.

So in short, Mediacom billed me despite the fact they admitted (via Facebook Messenger and various recorded phone calls) that my services were disconnected and interrupted due to non-payment. Last time I checked the Water and Power company do not charge you for services after your services are interrupted for non-pay, Mediacom believes their powers allow them to do that. So believe me when I say this company is unethical, They do not care about their employees, and they do not care about their customers. They care about the money. So good job Mediacom! I hope however much I was robbed of was completely worth it to you. I will tell everybody I know about your unethical and probably illegal billing practices!

Dale,

Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to help resolve your issues!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I went back to Mediacom for cable and internet because DISH didn't work here for me really well. Mediacom's service is a lot better and it has been in years. And dealing with them has always been good, though I want to find some way to get my bill down. Other than that, I’m satisfied with them. My daughter used to use the internet. And then I’m having some medical problem and so I enjoy a movie, though for a lot of times I do get tired. But I like weekly programs like CIA and Code Black, and I also watch Home and Garden TV.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Mediacom was available to me and when I moved here and I've been happy with them. A lot of my friends insisted that we could get a lot cheaper through the Dish and DirecTV, but one of the nice things about cable is we don't lose our signals in the air as quick as Dish, satellite or DirecTV people do. Their reps have always been prompt and they help me over the phone when I have a problem. When they're here in town, the tech comes in and fixes things right away.

However, I've been having trouble with certain channels in my TV. Sometimes the picture isn't perfect even though they're all high def channels. Also, my bill is too high and I have more coverage than I need. I got channels that I don't watch. I got my phone with them, though it started out at $5 month and it was supposed to go to nine, but it's at $31 now. And I got a Wi-Fi system in the house but I don't have a computer. I'm gonna go talk to them and see if we could get a plan. Overall I'm satisfied with the experience and I'd recommend them.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We received our 3rd billing statement and the monthly balance had increased by about $10. We called customer service and we were told that the increase was because one of the TiVo receivers had been free for all this time. We did not know this. Also the Switch & Save promotion was good for 3 years. We did not know this either. Other than these we have been very satisfied with Mediacom tv service over DirecTV whom we had been customers with for about 12 years.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We decided to switch to our local utility company since our rates were going up by 50%. Our service was changed and new phone numbers were switched 6 days after our billing. Since I did not “personally“ call and let them know, even though I returned their equipment, I was being charged! Now I am being charged $562 for not canceling service even though I did not have Mediacom service! Buyer beware, this is the way they do business and I will never recommend or use their service in the future. If they were the last telecommunications place on earth, I would go without!

Len,

Original review: June 6, 2018

Mediacom is local and I've always wanted to try them. I got their Basic Family and their team has been so helpful. The people I've spoken to were very good as well. I added the Hallmark Mystery channel but I really don’t watch Hallmark that much and really haven't called to make any changes. I have also gone to Netflix but just use it periodically.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Was assured would receive two weeks credit for intermittent services from customer service from the time of the first call until repaired. Repairman was courteous, still waiting on credit on account. I am owed a credit, please reflect this on future bill.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Hi. I'm pretty satisfied. However the wifi feature stinks. It always freezes my tv and it drops calls and when we use our cells or tablet it takes forever to load. Improving your internet services would be wise. I also think you should have smaller priced packages for seniors who live on fixed income. Over 100.00 is difficult for people on fixed incomes to pay these leg payments. You don't tell people about all the other charges like, surcharges, and all fees included for 104 bill turns into 153 a month. Big difference! Otherwise service is ok.

Roschelle,

Mediacom Cable expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Mediacom specializes in bringing the same high level of digital services that residents of major metropolitan areas enjoy to small towns and cities across the United States. They currently serve over 1,500 communities in 22 states.

• Find your local office: Find out if Mediacom is available in your state and locate your nearest office on Mediacom’s website. If there isn’t yet availability in your area, Mediacom can find your local provider for you.

• Xtream: Mediacom’s Xtream home service combines the fastest available in-home Wi-fi with a TiVo® DVR, which allows you to record up to five shows at a time, watch your shows in any room of the house and on any device and set your DVR remotely.

• No contracts: Sign up for service from Mediacom without signing a contract. You can cancel at anytime without paying high early cancellation fees.

• Speed Boost: Supercharge your Internet by adding 100 or 150 Mbps to your Internet for only $10 or $20 per month.

• Free HD: Mediacom’s extensive HD lineup is available for customers to enjoy at no extra charge. In addition, if you already own an HDTV set, then Mediacom will automatically upgrade your Mediacom receiver to an HD receiver.

• Best for: Mediacom is best for families and individuals who live in rural areas where Mediacom offers service.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs