Consumer Reviews and Complaints

When I first moved here, Mediacom was what they had in the building. I just had two people come in and got Mediacom and I've been happy with it ever since. When the installers first came though, somehow the box that connects my phone and the TV weren't working right. So they brought me out a smaller box, put in, and I haven't had a bit of problem since.

I always get a lot on TV with Mediacom since in order to get the channels I want, I had to get a specific package. There are channels on it which I don't watch, but I do watch the channels that I like. I get a lot of sports. I also want my music channels, Western channel, and History channel. I also watch the biblical channels. I usually watch TV a little bit in the morning, from 7:30 sometimes up to 8:39. Then in the afternoon, if I'm up there, I'll turn it on and I'll listen to something while I'm doing something else. But usually my TV is mainly in the evening, from 7:00 up to bed time.

Most of their people have been very friendly and down-to-earth with me. The only issue I had was with one guy when I called the company a while back. My bill went up quite a bit so I called to see if I could lower it somehow. The guy said that they didn't have any programs at that time. So I then called one of the company's top women and they got it settled for me. I still got the same program but I had to sign a new contract for two years. But other than that, I have not had any problems with Mediacom's people. I still have my Mediacom because they always work with me. I'm very satisfied and I'd recommend this company to anybody.

Mediacom Cable

Thank you for your feedback Margaret!

We greatly appreciate your longtime service. It's customers like you who have made everything we've done as a company possible. Thank you. Hopefully we can have another great 20 years!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

A number of years ago I had DIRECTV and I didn't have television for a couple of weeks. I was thoroughly disgusted, dumped it and came to Mediacom. I have them for 20 years now. Their reps were great and very professional. Any of the repair people that I’ve called for some kind of service over the years have done their job, explained whatever was wrong and and left within a short period of time. I'm happy and satisfied with the service. However, I got a little problem right at the moment. When I'm switching channels, the number eight does not want to come up on the handset. I have to jock it around a couple of times to get it to come in. I would really appreciate if somebody could look at it. It's irritating.

Mediacom Cable

Thank you for your feedback Jonathan!

We truly appreciate the 40+ years of service you have had with us. If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

The service men were thorough and capable. They diagnosed the problem and had to do the job in more than one day because the lines were all old and needed to be replaced. They were efficient and respectful. Thanks for a job well done and improved services at my home!

Ruth,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I live in an assisted living and Mediacom is what's offered here. Because my building is a secure locked building, nobody can get in unless I come down to let them in. For the first week, I gave them my number but they called my sister instead of me because her name is on the bill. On the second week, they called but it was the same thing. Now, it's week three and I'm still waiting. Their service is not satisfactory and it's ridiculous how I had to go through all that and all the last rep could tell me was he wasn't a liar.

Richard,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and services, and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

We moved in and got Mediacom on December 19th. Since then it has not worked. The Internet would go down about every 10 minutes. The television would freeze and go all pixie so you could not watch it. The tech was scheduled to come Monday January 9. He called my cell phone, it rang twice and did not leave a message. We told the service center some one would expect at the house no matter what. Well since I didn't pick up the phone fast enough they said I was not home and put me on hold. I got on the phone right away and got a hold of a customer service right away and the man told me he would check into it and he would call me back in 5 minutes.

I waited a hour and called back and got agent named Chris that was very helpful. He said he would check to see what happened. I got a email within 10 minutes from him telling me that they would have to reschedule for Thursday. Well I was very steamed by this time. Wednesday to add insult to injury I get a email that my bill is available. I bill for service I have not been able to use.

Thursday the tech showed up and went through a whole bunch of things and found that when they installed the service they had reused a DirecTV wall plate and the connector was bad. The tech replace it and there were no more issues. I was happy with the agent that did get back to Emmetsburg and the tech. I still feel I should not have to pay for service I did not get but well that can't be helped according to customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Mike,

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

I was warned about Mediacom by a professional working in a local center for independent living. He had seen too many incidents in which Mediacom would overcharge even people who were disabled and had limited incomes. I was given an amount I would have to pay to install my internet service AND pay for my first month of service. I just received my very first bill. It shows I have a previous balance of $16.20 along with a late fee of $8.50. My FIRST bill with a previous balance AND a late fee!? These additional charges very nearly DOUBLE the amount I was told I would pay for internet service. I will be terminating this service. I am also someone who has to survive on a limited income, and Mediacom obviously has no problem stealing from me. I am disgusted. Their reputation in this city of being dishonest and flagrantly overcharging customers is clearly one they have earned.

I have the three bundle service with Mediacom and it's good. I will recommend it. However, Mediacom is a big drop from ExpandTV because of all the things that we had available to us for around the same price. We also had on-demand and there were plenty of movies, but it's limited with Mediacom.

Bermele,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Internet signal output from signal splitter to in-house connector run below floor was pulled off the connector plate inside the house causing the Coax cable to drop behind the wall making it inaccessible to the technician. Because of this a new cable had to be run on the outside of the house. Signal (Internet/TV) apparently could not be found at the on-property junction box. A new (presumably temporary Drop) orange colored cable was run somewhere way down the neighborhood to attach to a working connection rather than repairing the signal connection at the Junction box on the residential property. We assume that this is not a permanent solution since we would prefer the orange cable not be buried on our property. There are irrigation lines/Water lines/and power lines buried there.

This is honestly the best service I have had with any cable provider. Your team is very awesome and yes, I would recommend Mediacom to my friends. I haven't had any problems with my service. If I have it has been resolved immediately. I enjoy it.

I have appreciated my Mediacom service since 2009. Recent service change was made in a timely fashion. The only confusion was having any clarity 1) before my change (i.e., available rate charges to choose from online and in mailings) and 2) after my change (I had to speak with Mediacom assistant via phone - at 855-633-4226.)

Mediacom's service is sometimes okay and sometimes not for the years that I've had them. I usually give them a call and they try to fix and correct things. Their customer service reps are always helpful and respectful, too.

I have had OK assistance by basically just calling on the phone. If I call later in the day - I think I get CHINA. But otherwise during the day I've been able to follow their directions. Have not needed to have them come to the house for service. Keeping my fingers crossed though. Fortunately, I can't complain.

Tangee,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your services and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

We continue to have the "pixeling" on the tv and our internet is having outages/slow speed on random basis. It is usually in the evenings and on weekends, which I assume is the highest usage times. We really need something done so it is consistent.

Eleanor,

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I've been using Mediacom Cable for 20 years and I'm satisfied with them. However, I used to get All In The Family but I don’t seem to be able to get that anymore. I don't know if they've taken that off.

I've had to phone Mediacom a few times for various reasons and have always been VERY pleased with their response, including courtesy, help and patience with my lack of computer knowledge. I have recommended Mediacom to various neighbors and friends.

We've had Mediacom at the family shop for a while for the internet. And when we applied for Charter, they were the ones that popped up. The installation went pretty smoothly. My wife dealt with the same servicemen that she deals with at the shop, so that worked out.

Judi,

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

My most recent statement had overusage charges that I am not responsible for. A stranger hacked into my WiFi connection on my modem {I didn't know I had access to WiFi.} I was told it is my fault because the account is in my name. Had it been my Mastercard that had been hacked they would have investigated and removed the charges. As it was, I received only $90 off. I am extremely displeased with the manner in which I was treated, as though it actually was my fault. If it happens in the future I will be changing my account to another company as this is the second time.

I have Mediacom's TV service and the reception is fine. I have a full screen picture, but once in a while it comes about a two inch wide blackout on the top and the bottom. It makes the picture shorter. But it doesn't happen real often and I've been told that's the way the program is. Also, I'm not happy that the payment center down the street where I pay my bills closed. Now I have to mail my bill.

Mediacom is our internet service provider. Over the past year and a half we have only encountered a couple of service interruptions. When they have occurred the service was restored extremely quick. Excellent speed and we stream music and video daily. We are very satisfied with the service and price of our account.

Mike,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your Internet and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Mediacom has just notified me that due to recent increases in their network, they are going to raise my internet speed from 50MB to 60MB and charge me $5.00 a month more with no choice to stay at my current speed/billing rate for their high speed internet services. So when I called to say I did not want the increased speeds/billing, I was told I have no choice as the 60MB speed was their new minimum speed.

Well I have used a speed test to check my download/upload speeds over the last several months and not once since August of last year have I even come close to getting the 50MB download and 5MB upload speeds I am paying for. And now, I being told I will be forced to move to a higher speed service with a higher billing rate and they can’t even deliver on the 50Mb/5Mb service I have been paying for the last year. I have the history of their crappy performance stored in my testing tool so I would sure like to know who I can go to get resolution for paying for 50MB internet service for several months while not being able to receive what I am paying for. And then to be told that I am being forced to pay for a higher speed service that I am betting will not test out to be anywhere close to 60MB as they promise.

After debating for quite some time, we decided to take the leap and add Mediacom tv to our internet. The service person never showed up. We had to call in to find out (from someone who was extremely difficult to understand) that they had rescheduled it for the next day without contacting us. I have serious misgivings about adding Mediacom tv after this experience.

Carolyn,

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Mediacom tech Mon. night, getting done. Did same thing 3 hrs. later. First man told me to maybe get a new modem...which the repair did the next day. He told me to update my computer to a newer version of Windows...still no service. I said I would contact gent who sold it to me. He was stumped I had no service. 2nd lady told me to get a new router. Called them, they said my agreement had expired 5 years prior...but for X $$ I could get it renewed. I Declined. MY niece came today, got it reassigned. Even though everything seems a bit slower than before. She was successful with Mediacom with the WiFi password, etc. Needless to say, I was disappointed with your tech support people when called upon. I have never had this type of service before. I hope when my TVo man comes I don't have this type of service after signing up.

I’ve been with Mediacom Cable for so long and the quality of their service has been all right. Their customer service is also really good and I just told them to put in a new deal for a new TV about two weeks ago.

The person I contacted on the phone was very helpful and suggested ways to improve our service. Service rep. came to swap out an old cable box for a Tivo box. Service provider was very professional and courteous. Thank you.

Jesse,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your services and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

We have had Mediacom for years but since we got tivo it has been horrible. We have not had 1 day in the last year that did not have Internet problems kicking us off tivo. Boxes can't connect and it's horrible. We have 150mb download speed but horrible service. Ask for service appt. They tell us "oh sorry gotta wait a week or two." We are about done.

The young man who installed our new receiver was very professional and did a very nice job. He also updated our customer information and took back several devises to credit our account. All of our TV's now work with perfect reception.

Robert,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your cable services and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Overall service has significantly improved over the past several years. However, recently I am encountering intermittent problems with momentarily freezing and/or pixelation of my TV picture. I am located at the end of one of Mediacom's distribution circuits. Their technicians have determined the cause is the result of an intermittent bandwidth or signal strength problem. Lines have been replaced between their curb box and my house. Any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem?

Lashonda,

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Horrible. I have had Mediacom at least 25 years and I am getting more and more disappointed. Internet constantly out. Reset router at least 12 times a day. Cable channels suck. I am simple fed up with expensive monthly payments and lousy service.

Tom,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and services, and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I thought I was getting the Starz/Encore package when I did the switch and save. Got a promotion in the mail this week which has the exact same price and Extreme Silver and the Starz/Encore package included. I called 2 different times, talking to 2 different people, the first said "Silver never comes with that package" although I read the promotion from Mediacom right to her. The second basically said "nothing can be done." I wish you would treat all customers like new customers. I can just as easy go back to my old provider with a "new subscriber" plan just as good as yours. Seems would be easier and better to keep customers.

Bob and Kris,

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Customer service rep was WRONG. I asked if I needed to be home to have the Family Channels added to our basic cable package and she said NO! Then frantic calls and messages that I wasn't home for an appointment. I never set up as I was TOLD, I didn't need to be home.

Mediacom Cable Company Profile