Get a Free Quote
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.51/5

Mediacom Communications offers best​-​in​-​class technology across rural America.​ ​With the fastest in-home WiFi, TiVo® DVR, 1 Gig Speed and so much more - customers are guaranteed to have a superior in-home entertainment experience. One of the fastest internet speed providers across their footprint; Netflix® has ranked Mediacom one of the top internet providers in April 2016. As the world becomes more technologically advanced so does Mediacom, investing millions into a nationwide fiber optic infrastructure so small town America will get to enjoy the most advanced Digital TV, High Speed Internet, and Digital Phone service for years to come. Hop on the super speedway and visit ​Mediacomcable.com​ to get the best in TV & Internet service today!

Mediacom Cable Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

In the beginning, we bundled everything – the TV, the internet and telephone, and CenturyLink with DIRECTV was getting so expensive, plus the fact that when it rained and when it snowed, we would lose our signal. So, we decided to switch to Mediacom and their service has been good. They’ve always been very helpful if I call with an issue. If they can fix over the phone, they’ll do that, and if not, then they'd send somebody out quickly. Installation went fine except for the young man that put it in. I’m not a technician, so I just assumed he knew what he was doing. When he put the modem behind the television, I said to him, “Well, the modem has always been upstairs. What about our computers?” He said, “Well, I don’t have anything to do with computers,” and he left. So, we had to hire a friend of ours to come over and we spent another $170 to have him jerry-rig something so that our computers would work. That was fine and everything worked.

And then, all of a sudden, we started having trouble with our phone. It would drop calls. I called Mediacom and their rep tried two or three different things. Finally, a man came out that seemed to know what he was doing. I told him what the previous kid said and he said, “He just didn’t wanna run the wires. The modem should be upstairs, by your computer because these little boxes (whatever that our friend had put on), sometimes will interfere with your phone signal, and so it dropped calls.” He was so nice and he came back in a couple weeks. He put the modem upstairs, ran a wire outside, up on the roof of the house and back in to where the computers are, and we haven’t had any trouble since.

Our modem speed is better, which we weren’t getting before because it was downstairs and it was going through so many connections. However, the bill just went up $30 a month, which I didn't like. I said, “Why did it go up $30 a month?” And the rep said, “Well, your contract, your special rate is over.” Now, the rate is getting back up there to where it’s almost what it was when I had DIRECTV. I wasn’t very happy with that because we're retired, we're on a fixed income, and the price was one reason I switched to Mediacom, to get our monthly bills down. Other than that, our experience with Mediacom Cable has been fine. We’ve had some issues with the TV but they’ve come quickly and resolved them.

Good Afternoon Carol,
We want to thank you for your year of patronage to our company and taking the time to review your rating on the Consumer Affairs website. The only reason I would think the technician would say he doesn't do anything with computers is we guarantee internet connection but do not set up every device with WiFi in your home. We would provide you with your WiFi name and password if you are using our WiFi and not your own. We would also want the modem to be in a central location in your home to support WiFi through the home. Did your friend set up a WiFi Adapter for your computer? Mediacom Appreciates your business.

Beverley Hiett

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

We were with Frontier Internet and we were told that Mediacom was the best in our area. We went with them and got the 100-megabyte internet. But last night, I was on Amazon Video and it was acting up. I was watching a thing on the Blue Angels and about a fourth through the show, it quit streaming for me and I don’t know what caused it.

The installation process was quick and simple but we had a plug-in that was a 220 and we turned it into a 110. It was working fine but as soon as the installer drilled it and went outside, it quit on us. That was one of our main circuits that we use a lot to plug in our phones and stuff, but we just shut it down. We thought maybe the electrician could find out and he thought it was nicked because it just happened right when he was drilling a hole. We have talked to Mediacom many times about it and they said it wasn’t their fault. The guy that installed it said he had a regular drill bit detected wiring, so he didn’t think it was them but when we called Mediacom’s office in Effingham, they said they didn’t think that they had spatial drills that showed that they were getting close.

Also, there was no help. So, we had to call a little bit to figure out how to set it up because we’re in our late 60’s. I didn’t care for that because when DISH comes and sets anything up for us, they make sure all the stuff works. We’re not as computerized sometimes so, it took us a lot to figure out, and they said they don’t have to do any of that. We finally had it figured out, but it took us about all night and day to get anything done. And so, I’m glad I don’t have their TV.

Good morning Bill,

Thank you for your review and valued Mediacom business as it is greatly appreciated. We do want to apologize about any service issues that you might be experiencing and for the initial installation experience you had. If you need a service call, we can always set that up for your so our tech can check any variables that would be causing any intermittent internet service and try to verify the setup integrity. We look forward to hearing from you if you need any assistance at all, have a good day!

Christian

Original review: March 13, 2019

Mediacom was what we’ve always had in my house. Me and my hubby separated, and I called and got it turned back on in my name. I had some issues with them that I wasn’t happy with at first but we finally got that resolved last month. When the guy came, turned it on and hooked it up, it was $180. So, I gave him $80 in cash, and then I used my debit card from my work that my paycheck was on. They lost the debit card payment and they couldn’t find it. So, they kept billing me for three months and I was getting frustrated with them. Finally, I found some of my paperwork from when the guy came and installed everything. I found the reference number and they still couldn’t find my payment. I don’t know if they ever found it but it was taken out of my account.

I have no way of getting any printout with my debit card. I can get online and see the payment was taken but there’s no information to tell them what number they applied it to. Last month was the first one that didn’t have that extra payment on it. Everything was good with their customer service. They were nice to me whenever I called and asked them why it was still on my bill. They were professional and friendly with me whenever I talked to them so it wasn’t bad a deal where I had to scream at them. They promised they were trying to find it and they would get it taken care of, and they did. I got the Wi-Fi from Mediacom and installing it was easy. All the rep had to do was bring me a new box, put it in, activate it and he was done. It didn’t take him 10 minutes, so it was an in and out deal. I had to reset my box one time but other than that, I didn’t have any issues.

Good morning Becky,

Upon looking at the account, it looks like all issues have been resolved since 01/24/19. If you need more detailed information you can always call in, we can private message you, or we can call you when you’re available. We do want to thank you for your valued Mediacom business as it is greatly appreciated. It is always great to hear that our customer service representatives have been nice and professional since that is what we strive for. If you have any further questions, concerns, or service issues please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Have a great day!

Christian

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I’ve been with Mediacom since 2001. All the other cable and internet companies here suck and Mediacom is just the better of the worst of all evils. I have usage issues every single day. My son is in high school and he has a tablet to do his homework so when the internet is down, he has to go to other people’s houses to do his homework. I've called and I’ve had them come out four times this year. And usually when the techs come in, they don’t tell me what’s going on. They'd just go down and say that everything is fixed and then they leave. They made me feel like I’m in the wrong. They made it seem like they’re coming in for no reason and I don’t know if they’re putting that on the paperwork.

Initially, the techs said the problem was the box. So, they kept swapping out boxes saying that was the key, but it wasn’t. The problem is outside of my house in the cable somewhere and it is getting jumbled up. The problem is usually the wireless internet, not the cable. We get Netflix and we can never get on Netflix because our internet’s down. We don’t even watch Netflix anymore because when my kids watch a TV show, the internet would drop halfway through so they'd get pissed and then they'd blame me. One tech told me that I had to get rid of my TVs so that my internet would work better. But we only use three and I only have one box. So, I only get the stuff that I pay for on one one TV only. The other two only get the basic things. I went to the office and told their rep what their tech said and she laughed. Those are the kind of techs that are sent into my home. They have no clue what they’re doing. There are some really good ones though.

Nevertheless, they have really good people that work for them and they really help. They know that there are issues and that the service is not always perfect. When you go into their office, they are super understanding and they would say, "We get it." I know it’s not their fault. I just don’t like paying money for things that should work properly but aren’t being fixed. The cable is just too expensive. I’m a single mom and I’m paying 150 a month for both internet and cable which is crazy. I wouldn’t mind paying it but it consistently have problems and I got tired of calling so I just left it. If it works, it's okay, if it doesn’t, it's okay too.

Good morning Jennifer,

Thank you for your review and longtime valued Mediacom business as it is greatly appreciated. We sincerely apologize about any service issues that you might be experiencing. We are not seeing any completed service calls this year. The last one that we see was completed on 08/15/18. Would we be able to setup a service call for you to diagnose the issues you’re experiencing? We look forward to hearing from you.

Christian

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We’ve been a customer of Mediacom Cable for a long time and our experience with the company has been good throughout the years. Back at the time, I didn’t think all of the other internet or cable providers were available and I didn’t know anything about them. My husband is 89 and I’m 86, we don’t have a computer, our phone is with AT&T, and we have just the regular program for the TV that we watch, but the cost of the service has just gone up to $110 for us. On the other hand, my son and his wife have a computer and they have the TV, their phone, and the internet on the same program with Mediacom, but they only pay 130 something. So, it seems to me that for what we get, it's is getting to be very expensive for us.

The cost has gradually gone up. Also, one thing they do that I don’t agree with is that the service fee went up to $105 and there was no notice that it was being raised. Then just recently, with the last bill, it went up to $110. I don’t think it’s a good practice to raise a person’s bill with no explanation. Other than that, the customer service interactions that we’ve had with the representatives were good experiences. Everything was fine and everything went well.

Good morning Connie,

Thank you for your longtime valued Mediacom business as it is greatly appreciated. We are glad to hear your experience has been good with us. We do apologize about any rate increases. We try to keep our rates as low as possible but it is difficult to do so because of programming costs, re-transmission fees, maintenance expenses, and the increases of taxes/surcharges. Rates will step up annually until a bundle or package reaches full price rate. Any other increases should have been noted in the last 1-2 billing statements. Also, when you bundle with more than one base service, service rates are lower for a 12-month period but after that it will increase. We hope this information helps and please reach out to us to see if we have any available offers to help lower your service rate. Have a wonderful day!

Christian

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

The installer was courteous and friendly. We appreciate the time he took to answer all of our questions and give us advice on the placement of our new unit. He ran cables in a clean fashion and was conscientious about how they looked in our house... to our satisfaction. I would recommend this installer to another customer.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

We live on a street in the middle of Apache Junction, AZ. My service goes out daily and multiple times through the day. I am not exaggerating. Between new wires, new equipment, new taps, new burial wires, and etc; the problem is still existent to this day. I know at least 20 technicians by their first name. Other than November, we usually have a technician visiting our home weekly. They will lie, create these elaborate theories, and so and so on. The only reason half their lies do not stick is because I used to be a cable guy for a long time. So, I know when I am being lied to. Anyways. THEY ARE HORRIBLE. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS. We had to have CenturyLink installed so that my wife would have a consistent working internet source from home to do her job.

Good Afternoon Matthew,
    I do apologize about the service issues you have had. We do want our customers to be satisfied with the services we provide. I do show we did do a lot of work as you had mentioned from the equipment in your home to the tap. I show we had issued adjustments for your service issues. We do understand that having working service is important. We hope you have a better experience with your new provider. Mediacom appreciates your business.

Beverley Hiett

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

We are a bundle service customer (tv, phone, internet). Called and used automated service to reset modem today and a few days later. Overall, pleased with the automated service just would like to have this happen less. May be in need of new modem as this happens too frequently. Thank you.

Good Afternoon May,
    Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy day to review our company. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please never hesitate to call and speak to one of our customer care specialists. We would be happy to schedule an appointment if necessary. Mediacom appreciates your business.

Beverley Hiett

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

We’re snowbirds out of the north. We have Mediacom on a temporary basis. The installation went smooth. I just have internet and so far it's fine. We’re happy.

Good morning Perry,

Thank you for your review and valued Mediacom business as it is greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear that the installation went smooth and that you're happy with the service. We hope your experience continues to be positive. If you have any issues at all, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Have a great day!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

The internet still messes up and I don’t know why...just stops working. There is no way I am paying for service that I can’t use. Why isn’t it working like it is supposed too? Everything else seems to be fine, except cable sometimes pauses and won’t show list but then comes back.

Good Afternoon Natasha,
    I am sorry to hear your internet has been intermittent. I show overnight in the early morning hours on January 7th we did do some maintenance in your area. If you have not done so could you please reset your modem by the coax cable and power. You can do this from the back of the modem. If this does not help your service problems, please return a call to our customer service department or you can text Molli at 66554. We would be happy to schedule a visit with you to work on resolving you service issues. Mediacom appreciates your business.

Mediacom Cable expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Mediacom specializes in bringing the same high level of digital services that residents of major metropolitan areas enjoy to small towns and cities across the United States. They currently serve over 1,500 communities in 22 states.

• Find your local office: Find out if Mediacom is available in your state and locate your nearest office on Mediacom’s website. If there isn’t yet availability in your area, Mediacom can find your local provider for you.

• Xtream: Mediacom’s Xtream home service combines the fastest available in-home Wi-fi with a TiVo® DVR, which allows you to record up to five shows at a time, watch your shows in any room of the house and on any device and set your DVR remotely.

• No contracts: Sign up for service from Mediacom without signing a contract. You can cancel at anytime without paying high early cancellation fees.

• Speed Boost: Supercharge your Internet by adding 100 or 150 Mbps to your Internet for only $10 or $20 per month.

• Free HD: Mediacom’s extensive HD lineup is available for customers to enjoy at no extra charge. In addition, if you already own an HDTV set, then Mediacom will automatically upgrade your Mediacom receiver to an HD receiver.

• Best for: Mediacom is best for families and individuals who live in rural areas where Mediacom offers service.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team