4.03/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Mediacom Cable

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Mediacom Communications offers best​-​in​-​class technology across rural America.​ ​With the fastest in-home WiFi, TiVo® DVR, 1 Gig Speed and so much more - customers are guaranteed to have a superior in-home entertainment experience. One of the fastest internet speed providers across their footprint; Netfliix® has ranked Mediacom one of the top internet providers in April 2016. As the world becomes more technologically advanced so does Mediacom, investing millions into a nationwide fiber optic infrastructure so small town America will get to enjoy the most advanced Digital TV, High Speed Internet, and Digital Phone service for years to come. Hop on the super speedway and visit ​Mediacomcable.com​ to get the best in TV & Internet service today!

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

1819 Mediacom Cable Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Have had a very good response each time we had a problem, and that has not been often!! Service techs have been very friendly and capable of solving our problems!!! Last tech that came was very well trained and worked hard to restore good service!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have had their service for a little while now. A number of weeks ago, the cable and internet just stopped working. I called them up, the best they could do is send a technician out a week later? Really, a week without service? After scheduling the appointment, all the guy wanted to do is upgrade my service. I stated I don't want anything changed until they fix it. For the next few days, I get calls asking if I want to cancel my appointment as if it magically fixed itself. The day before the appointment, someone does come out and fix my neighbor's house line which seemed to fix ours. I cancel the appt. then.

A couple days later it rains and everything is gone again. Call them up, and it's another week to wait. They stated I would get a call to make sure I was home. I verified the number was my cell and added my wife's cell just in case. The guy stated he would put me on the waiting list and if someone else cancelled, they would call to see if I could take it earlier. Fine. Again, I get calls asking if I would like to cancel my appointment. That is very annoying! A couple days later I get a text that my appointment was moved from Saturday to Friday night. I wasn't asked if I could even do that but I could make it work so I did nothing.

The day finally comes for the appointment. My wife and I are waiting around for a call. It's 30 minutes into the allotted time and I answer a call from a coworker and in that call I get another call. I didn't get to answer it but it leaves a voicemail. It's the automated message stating my service was cancelled. WHAT THE... I received no prior call to the automated one. I call Mediacom back. The guy hangs up on me after I wait several minutes to talk to anyone which makes me irate. I know he could hear me because he was answering me. I call back, and hear from both the tech and the supervisor that they cannot change it or route the tech back because their "system will not allow it". If it was before 3pm they could but everyone leaves at 3 and they have no way to do anything after that. ARE YOU ** kidding me?

What kind of company has no way to contact their technicians after 3pm and state they cannot help me. He states they can schedule another appointment a week later. At this point I am livid and I have never felt this way about any company. In the back and forth, the supervisor states I got three calls. The third being the automated one. I stated I did not. He states they can prove it. BS as he didn't have my account info.

I have a screenshot of my cell of all calls and there is the only call from the automated message. So Mediacom, you are full of crap. I am the one who has proof. You did not follow your own policy and are absolute liars!! If anyone wants to contact me about a lawsuit against Mediacom, I am absolutely willing to help out. Others should not have to go through this kind of pain. This is by far the worst company I have ever seen and I have seen some shady companies. I have no choice but to drop Mediacom as they are incapable of providing any sort of reasonably competent service.

Mediacom Cable response

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I had both the cable and internet installed by Mediacom. I had a choice between them and someone else when we moved. That someone else was going to charge me $30 a month and I figured that was a no-brainer. The sales team of Mediacom was pretty straightforward. I was a previous client and I wanted to know what the charge was going to be to transfer. Everything was going to stay the same. Obviously, I had to pay an install fee but that was going to be the same between both cable companies.

When the tech came, he didn't know what he was going to do. It was unfortunate for his sake because it took him a long time and threw off his schedule so, I'm not sure why he wasn't informed, but he did a fine job. And then trying to sync everything and have just one remote, we had to get somebody else out here to help with that. Also, I'm not very happy with some of those people that they employ. They're fairly stupid and their stupidity is very frustrating and the runaround that I got. On the other hand, when I call in for tech support, those people are able to help me and they're on the ball. I recommend Mediacom. There are a lot of people who have bad thoughts about them. But in the big picture, I have no complaints about them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We've been with Mediacom for 45 years. Joe and I are both older and we can't do a lot so we spend a lot of time watching TV. We use the cable at 10:00 in the morning and sometimes I turn on the news in the evening. We have the movie channels though we don't need them but we have to take it with the group we're with. Plus, there's music channel and the upper and lower shows too. Their customer service and technicians have been very polite and have answered whatever questions I have. The technicians also come as fast as they can if something goes wrong. But sometimes, I don’t like that it takes them a week to respond. But our experience with Mediacom has been great and I'd recommend it to any friend.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've been with Mediacom for years, and ever since they have been charging $10 month. I have the family deal and it's awfully expensive for no more than what they got going. I spend all my time flipping through the channels and the cable's fine most of the time. Once in a while, it acts up - it had some interference. I don't know what was going on but it seems to have been straightened out. That's one of the reasons I stayed with them. With DirecTV, every time it thunders, it goes out. When I was at Ludlow, whatever Natalie had down there was always out. There's not much on Mediacom though. They took all my soap operas off, so I hardly watch. I watch The Doctors in the morning and then at night, maybe from 7:00 to 11:00. All-in-all however, it's mainly good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am very satisfied with cable - internet and phones constantly drop out daily. On an average I have to reset the Xtream modem/router at least three to four time, sometime more. Unless I try to use the phone I have no way of knowing.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I switched from Dish to Mediacom TV service. I already had Mediacom cable. The company offered a promotion saying I had three months to evaluate the switch and if during that time I was unhappy, they would cancel the service and refund me the money I had paid them. It started off poorly, which should have given me a clue what I was in store for. Juan, a contract installer came to do the install. He said he had worked at Dish before so he knew what wires to connect and what wires to disconnect.

He also shared that I was one of the last customers he was doing an install for because he was going to work elsewhere. At the conclusion of the install he promptly left saying that Mediacom pays him a flat rate for each install so he only has so long for each install or he loses money. When he left the two TV/Tivo sets were working. My wife, who is a teacher, went to her computer to submit grades and learned that we had no internet service. I called Mediacom who said they would submit a service order to get it back in operation but could not guarantee when it would occur. As I recall, the installer, Juan, did return later that evening and made the repair to get the internet operating.

Within a week, we were without internet again and our Tivo also quit working. When I called in for repair I was told it would be 5 or 6 days before a tech would be available to make the repair. The repair was scheduled and they required a 4 hour window of time for them to be there. Either 8-noon or 1-5 were my choices. On the day of the repair, the technician called my cell phone as they are required to do 15 minutes before they were to arrive. My wife was home but when I did not answer due to not hearing the phone ring (I work in a noisy environment), the repair was canceled.

The tech did call, but did not leave a message. I tried the number on my phone and it went to Mediacom service who said they were sorry but if my call was not answered, the tech is not obligated to leave a call back number because they use their own personal cell phones. I made another appointment with plenty of harsh criticism for the policy and procedures Mediacom uses. I informed the service person that my wife had stayed home that afternoon just so she would be there when the tech arrived. The next time the appointment was scheduled, it was a repeat of the previous issue. This time I heard the phone ring and by the time I moved to a quiet place to answer, the tech had hung up. By now, we had been without service for more than a week and we had only had the system less than a month.

I stressed my frustration one more time with the service person making the appointment schedule. I told her that someone would be at the home the entire time the Mediacom tech needed to make the repairs. Once again, I missed the call and this time the tech left a curt message saying he heard that I was upset that he did not leave a message, so here is my message. "I called but you didn't answer. Goodbye." "No phone number, no I'll stop by your house to see if anyone is there." Not one bit of consideration!!!

Finally, the tech showed up and got the internet and Tivo working. He looked at the installation that was done in our basement and commented that he was going to put in for us to have a rewire because many of the wires were very old and that he felt that was the problem. That has been two months ago. Since that repair, I have had at least 3 additional service calls where components provided by Mediacom have failed and needed replaced. In each case, these were not new parts being installed, but they were components they had on their truck from some other customer. I don't know about you, but when someone finds a used part on the truck, it doesn't seem to me that it guarantees the repair will last.

On October 5 or 6 I called once again to inform them that the repair they did two or three weeks prior has left me without a tv in my bedroom. Today, October 10 they are supposed to come fix it. I'm waiting for my call and staying out of noisy areas just so I don't miss it. At the time I was signing up for this service, I also signed up to have two other properties I own converted to this and boy am I glad I called to put them on hold.

One of the properties is a rental home for vacations and I can only imagine how angry guests would be if their dream vacation did not have TV or internet service. Since the conversion to this service, we have been without TV or internet or both for more than a month. In every case, the repair could be fixed in less than 20 minutes. I would be embarrassed to be associated with a company that treats its customers as poorly as I have been treated.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I called to upgrade our service to include sports packages. Installation came out twice. Both times we had to call and complain because we still didn't have sports channels. I finally canceled because we never got what we requested in a 3 week period and I was still getting billed. Customer service was the worst. I can't think of a time in which I had service this bad! Will switch to DirecTV ASAP.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I like the offers that Mediacom had and I got the basic cable package. I get pretty good service from it and every day I use it to watch TV. It’s a really good experience overall.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We have had nothing but issues with our services. We have been with Mediacom for a year now and have a technician call made about every 3-4 weeks because they cannot get our internet to stay connected. They have plenty of excuses but no resolutions! We would switch to a new provider but no other options in our area. Since I work remotely this has caused many weeks of not being able to do my job. My current condition for work this week. Cannot get an appointment for help for 2 1/2 days.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Mediacom offered me a decent package deal that I could afford. However, it was really flubbed up the first time when I placed the order. The account wasn’t set up correctly. When the guy came out to set it up, I didn’t have all my equipment when I placed the order. It was a bad deal and it was really confusing. The first equipment that they sent me was okay, but they were supposed to send me two, one for the upstairs bedroom and one for downstairs. But when I got the equipment I only had just what they set up down here, the modem and the TiVo. I had to call back again and get another box in. So, they said, “Well, we’ll give you one box and then the second box you’ll have to rent.” I said, “Okay. I’m good with that.”

I had to call the guy back out again the second time to set up my second room. I fixed the order for three rooms, but I only got two. So, I had to reorder my equipment, wait for it to come in the mail, and had to have the guy come back out that Friday and get it hooked up. I also got the phone because it was a lot cheaper doing the bundle. The last time I did that, I didn’t do the bundle. I just got internet and the TV, and it was more expensive. But the phone that I bought (brand new from Walmart) that goes into the modem keeps getting this phone call from Rochelle, New York. I don’t even have a clue and I just got the phone. I don’t know how they would just keep calling this number. It’s just all crazy.

When I went down to pay my bill, they wanted to charge me $160. I told them I was not paying them that. That wasn’t the agreement. Because they screwed up my order, they were supposed to make the adjustments in the computer, so the first payment I paid was $44.63 and my second payment for the end of this month is supposed to be $77. They put late charge fees on me when I had already called ahead of time and made arrangements for my bill. They weren’t aware of it because none of that was in the computer.

Ever since I’ve had their services, it’s just been a flip flop. When you set up an order, you should be able to talk to the same person that set up the order. But every time I tried to call back and talk about my account, I go through seven or eight different people about my account. And everybody gave me something different. There is lack of communication. Everything was set up wrong. And nobody had any clue of what I was talking about because there was nothing recorded in the computer. It's really frustrating. It's all screwed up and I am really disappointed with the services. I still got it because I wanted some cable, but I am not happy at all. I’ve never experienced so much difficult in my life for trying to get some cable hooked up. Other than that, as far as the installation, the guy who came and set it up was all great and dandy.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

On 9/26/17 I called in for the 3rd time in 40 days because my internet was not working. Jo fixed it then told me I had earned a discounted upgrade for $8. I was taking because of the 200 to 1000g for the internet but also came with cable I had to take the whole package. I thought my bill was going up $8 instead it went from $69 to $122. She said I had to pay a $29.95 service call but she didn't anything about the other charges I have on my bill.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I packaged my telephone, my television, and my computer together into a bundle and Mediacom handled them. It saved me quite a bit of money. I've had Mediacom for over two years now and it has worked fine ever since. I spend my whole day looking at the television, the computer, or using the telephone, and I’m very satisfied with Mediacom.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My kids were using Mediacom about four years ago and so I decided on using them too. I’ve been pretty much happy with them. I have their internet service and the quality has been good. I use it to check different news stations and for looking up our Christian ministry. It’s just that every two years, I have to always bicker about the price per month again, because there’s no way, on a fixed income, that I can keep going up. I’ve been very satisfied with Mediacom.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I just bought my home in Hahira, GA. In my community, Mediacom is the only high speed service provider, currently. Before starting service with them, I read up about them since I had never heard of this company before. The negative reviews had me ready to find someone else BUT there isn't anyone else... yet. They came on time to start my services. All I wanted was internet. I had to do my order over the phone because online, they will charge you for a modem even if you select that you have your own. So over the phone I let the agent know that I had my own modem, when the installer came out we connected my own modem. Two weeks later, I get a modem in the mail. The next day I took it to their office in Valdosta, GA and returned it.

Upon starting the services, they make you aware that there does be down times in the middle of the night because they use that time to upgrade and repair their networks. I had no problem with that since my household is sleep. I bought my NEW construction house in May 2017, Mediacom put in NEW cabling in the beginning of June 2017. My community, city of Hahira and parts of Valdosta has had complete service lost at least 5 times from May till now in October.

AT&T informed us that they will have their fiber network ready in our area in about Jan '18. The whole community is looking forward to this so that we can ditch Mediacom. We have people in our community who are online students, work from home like my wife and to have a break in services as often as it happens with Mediacom is ridiculous. I have the Mediacom App on my phone. It works VERY well! Every time there is an outage, the App informs me that Mediacom is having service issues!

My home is FULLY wired from modem to router to every PC. When it's working, I get every ounce of speed that I pay for. For that they do deserve their 1 star. Because they go out so much I have to pay for a DSL account from AT&T which gives me 8 MB which is only set up as a "backup" for when Mediacom goes down. When they go down, they're down for HOURS close to a WHOLE day! For someone who works from home, that's a job killer! Since being here in this part of GA, anybody who I've met who is also serviced by Mediacom has basically the same thing to say. This company has WAY too many outages!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

For 13 years we have experienced very poor internet service. We recently switched to TIVO for cable. Internet goes in and out and so does the Tivo. We have the worst internet service possible. If something else was available we would have canceled Mediacom years ago.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

We liked what Mediacom offered us and got TiVo for all four TVs in the house. Our interaction with their sales team was a mess, though, because there were three different supervisors that told us three different things. Laura told us that our first bill was going to be $181 dollars but we got our first bill as $297 dollars. I didn't understand it. They said the reason our bill was so high is that we had to pay a month in advance. They should have told us that we were going to have that high of a bill. We were very unhappy about that. It’s a blow when you’re not expecting it financially, but we knew we didn’t have a choice but to pay it.

When their technician came, he only had three TiVos on his truck, so he had to come back to install the 4th one. The whole installation took about a week. We love the system, except for when we turn the TV on in the living room, it changes the channels on the bedroom TV. I told the technician about it and all he told me to do was that I always have to reset the box. So, that’s a pain in the butt. We’ve been with Mediacom now for about a month and a half, and the experience is fine but they need to learn to be honest with people about their monthly bills.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Unstable Internet Connection. I have been a customer for 1 month and the service has dropped for a period of over 4 hours in 3 different instances, last Sunday, October 1, 2017. I work remotely as a software engineer and I cannot afford to lose that time in my work. YOU MUST PROVIDE MORE RELIABLE SERVICE.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

The local channels in our area, which are from Savannah, have continuous interruptions all day long. This apparently is a known problem, because we had a statement for our city that they were trying to get it fixed. I want a refund for the TV I have missed for lately!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Mediacom is what’s offered in our little town and I went down to the local office to sign up. We've had them since 1991 and the technicians who installed were good. I watch the television everyday to get news and there are a few programs that I enjoy. Although not too often, there are cut-offs so I get distressed sometimes and it's difficult since we're in a rural area. I call the 800 number if I have a problem and it’s been okay. Sometimes I get extremely frustrated when talking to a recorded voice rather than to a human being. Even with a few bumps on the road, it’s been a good experience and I’m happy with Mediacom.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The internet speed has varied but overall it has been very good. Just lately we have had to reset our internet router at least twice a day. It would be good if Mediacom could send messages to customers when there are issues with the servers. Overall we are pleased with the service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I recently moved to Keokuk, IA from NJ and I selected Mediacom based on references by local customer but my experience is not par with what I expected. In three days, my service was disconnected for no reason and I need an answer from Mediacom executive and as of today, I have not heard from anybody yet!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

INSTALLMENT OF SERVICE. We were very pleased with the young man who came to set us up for three different TVs and our internet. He had a problem at first and just keep working and talking to his home base until he was able to install everything.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We were contacted by a sales representative unsolicited. She called us. Claimed she had a deal for us because we'd been such long time good customers. The plan she sold us didn't exist. The first technician to come out was very unfriendly. Didn't. Ring the equipment the saleswoman offered. Technician had no interest in helping us solve the problem and left. He was there 20 minutes, maybe. Spent a long long time on the phone waiting to speak to a human only to be told the package we were sold didn't exist, almost in a mocking tone like "how could you be so stupid to think you could get that for that." Since we'd gone to all the trouble we decided to give the BiG package a try and have TiVo in every room.

A week later another technician comes out. This one was very nice and really the only representative we'd had any pleasant interaction with. He did the best he could but he could never get the TiVo equipment to work. He said it might be old wiring. We didn't really want all of that stuff and to spend so much money every month so we opted to cancel the order and just keep our high speed internet that we have always had. It is very disappointing for Mediacom to employ dishonest sales associates who sell things who do not exist and then use high pressure sales tactics to convince people to upgrade. We never went looking for an upgrade. They called us with false offers.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Both visits with Mediacom technicians at my home were successful. I believe my problems with phone, computer, and wireless have been resolved. The technicians were very helpful and very polite. I am an elderly lady with very limited technological experience.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I spoke with a very good customer service rep to get HBO Go added to my plan. However, when I tried to access the content, it gave me a code and told me that I had to change my browsers on iPhone and iPad which I don't want to do because they work fine for everything else.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Poor service installation, installed incorrectly. When they were to return they made a call. I grab my phone but by the time I answered it it was too late. I immediately called them back and told them to go ahead and come and they refused to come. Constant problems with losing signal and service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

So we keep having internet issues, be it slow downs or just being completely disconnected. We pay a lot for gig service, but it's just not reliable. If they could just improve up that, it'd be great. It also doesn't seem much faster than the slower speed we had before.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have had nothing but problems since I started with Mediacom. Very disappointed with the service. Started off with the actual set up on the phone. I called back to ask about other deals and your reps are rude. The day of my set up of internet went ok. Employee set it up and he was friendly. I had to have a tech back because of bad wiring. I received 2 confirmation calls of which I clicked the number to verify I still wanted the service. No one showed up and I was told that I had put the service request on hold and didn't take the call from the tech. I never received/nor showed a missed call from the tech.

I was furious and got no resolution from supervisors when I called Mediacom. Was told they would have to reschedule. When I flatly refused to accept that was told they would be there sometime during the day. This total disrespect for a customer interfered with me working a few hours and getting other various chores done. Most importantly it was imperative to get this fixed asap to keep my 2nd job. Last I am still waiting for a bill or letter with a customer number. I can't even get into online account. I get no help from your reps. I find the service works well but to be honest there is nothing I really like about Mediacom.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I've had Mediacom about a month and the first two weeks didn't show guide at all. Every day since we've had it several times a day we have to reboot our modem which I feel shouldn't have to be like that!! There are MANY things going on or not that isn't right!!!

Mediacom Cable Company Information