Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I would take Mediacom hands down because I've dealt with the other ones and they totally have it. I have their cable service and quality of service is great. I've used their service before and then I ran out of employment and money. I got a past due balance to pay them today. I got no problem with them. They have the best service in town because, if the wind is blowing or it's snowing, or raining too hard, their service is not interrupted. The installers did a good job and took them probably 45 minutes. I'm happy with Mediacom.

My daughter has Mediacom and every time she's had problems they've been right out there to fix it. The sales team was very good but the rep must have been new because she didn't quite explain everything, which was, nevertheless, fine. When they installed it, the service and everybody that I talked to there were very nice. Then I got like a pamphlet about faster internet service and it was only $79 a month for the first year. I wanted to change to that but I didn't want to pay the installation fee and so I left it the same.

Christine,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mediacom. I sincerely apologize if our service did not meet your expectations and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: April 25, 2017

Many trips to get the speed of the internet up... still not up to the 100 speed I am paying for. Telephone line kept dropping and when my dr. called said no service. Hopefully the tech got it working right now.

Jennifer,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I have previously had service with Mediacom. I was disconnected for nonpayment because I refused to pay them for a service I wasn't getting. My cable box was about as big and old as an 80s VCR. Repeated calls to replace. Even the technician made fun of it. Said the box I was paying for was a lot better quality. Never received. The Wi-Fi. That was another joke in itself. My kids called it "Walmart Wi-Fi." Service out 50-60% of the time. Fortunately, we had a neighbor with an open guest connection that she let us use. Ridiculous, right? $125 some odd dollars a month for absolute garbage. The technician called and said she was coming to disconnect. Please come get your stuff, I'm done with this company!

Fast forward a year and half later, and Mediacom wins. Once again, getting substandard service from a local provider, I succumbed and called Mediacom very hesitantly. Sales call went well (I had to pay the money I owed them for a service they didn't provide). The box will come via UPS on the 21st. The 21st was the ship date, not the arrival. So installation date comes (4-24), and there's no box here. Technician (who was great, by the way #**) calls office and says I have to go (an hour away) and get a box. I'm OK with that, as I decided to take a personal day for cable installation (it shouldn't take an entire day of the technician running around looking for parts). Then he calls and says they don't have the box, so we need to reschedule. When? In two weeks when I can take another day off? No.

I called CS, and they would do nothing about it. I asked for a supervisor and was disconnected, and my work order cancelled. Called the technician and asked him if he could just do the internet, and the TV later. He said sure, just call them back and have it put back on my list for today. Easy fix. Why did the customer have to be the one to figure it out?? Called back, spoke to Henia #**, who was very helpful. I told her what we needed to do and she made it happen. Still waiting to finish internet installation (7 hours later, due to the company not the technician). Not off to a good start AGAIN, Mediacom. If it wasn't for the technician, and Henia I would not be a customer (Pam... fire her). Hope this is the last of the runaround. Still think I shouldn't have had to pay that money, though. I paid for a service I did not get. I seriously doubt anyone just read all that, but I had to get it out!

Jackie,

Original review: April 20, 2017

I have called multiple times over the last year for my 90 yr old mother who lives alone. Just called again today and they are sending "another" tech out to her home??? Her phone and internet are intermittent and not reliable. They have done things several times over the last year and always say it is fixed however, it continues to do the same thing. Internet works off and on and when you call her on landline you often get a message that says "The party you are calling is not available". You would think after a year someone could find a fix. I am worried she will have an emergency and won't be able to call for help. Seems extremely unacceptable to pay for a service that only works 1/2 time, but you are at their mercy while the monthly bill continues to gouge her.

In Diamondhead, I had Cable One for 10 years but before hurricane Katrina, I had Mediacom in Bay Saint Louis for 10 or more years. I got equal time using the two of them and I had excellent results with Mediacom and prefer it over Cable One. I moved back to Bay Saint Louis and it came down to choosing Dish Network or Mediacom and it was a no-brainer. The sales representative of Mediacom was also super friendly, sweet and helpful. Her name is Paula and she's been working there for a while. I had to bring back a remote control and she gave me another one. She went above and beyond the call of duty.

I've only had one bad experience with them. About a month ago, a bolt of lightning struck across the street and it messed up the cable reception coming from the power poles and into the house. It took about a week where I could get all the channels again. But a bolt of lightning is an act of God and you just can't control it. But they finally figured out what it was and I was glad that I could pick up all the channels. They were also knowledgeable and explained to me that HD channels are 500 and above and you get that much better quality picture than the lower channels like Channels 4, 6, and 8.

I have been with Mediacom since 1995. I currently have their cable services. My bill had gone up so high and called them not very long ago. Then they reduced it down so, I was happy and satisfied. Our cable service in general is very good. There was one time when it was out for three days and I called them. They were supposed to reimburse me for a couple of days and it didn't happen. But then, I'm not going to worry that much about it. I’m satisfied with Mediacom.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mediacom Cable?

Jean,

Original review: April 12, 2017

I am disconnecting due to the amount of just internet, we are doing without internet right now. My husband turned in all the equipment we have for you on April 10, 2017. So I don't think I will owe you anymore at this time. I would like to thank you for your service since I have been with the company since 1987.

I live in a complex and we have a Bolt account with Mediacom. My phone is hooked up with my TV and it's been pretty good, but sometimes my phone will go out and I don't like that because I have SafeLink. I spoke to someone from Mediacom and they came and gave me a new box one time and it works. Other than that, I like the quality of service and I would recommend it.

Sometimes it’s hard to get on the internet, but the cable is fine and I get to watch good movies. It's the first time I’ve done business with Mediacom and I’m satisfied.

I was very impressed with the technician that installed our service. He seemed to be very knowledgeable about everything except setting up our e-mail however customer service helped with that. There were problems with one of the two boxes but he didn't leave until the problem was solved. He even came back later just to make sure we were happy. We are now having issues with the modem so we will see where that ends up. As of now, we are very happy.

Mediacom has a good location and they’re handy. I have their internet service for 4 years. I’ve been using it to chat mostly. I also look up information on vehicles and all and I go Craigslist. Quality of service has been fine. They have done an update and they sent me a box to put in but I don't know anything about putting it in and messing with that. I will be talking to some of the service guys when I see one of them down the road and they would tell me how to hook it up.

Kevin,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will personally research your concerns regarding your account and services, and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: April 8, 2017

I have had Mediacom for over 2 years and I have been having major problems for the past year. We have been having problems with our TV and Internet. The cable tech has been to my house at least 6 times to try to solve the issue. They would give us a time frame when they would show up and they would never show. The Internet is terrible and we pay good money for the faster kind. It's always cutting in and out, the TV stops working at night, it terrible. As of now they ran a new cable from the outside box to the house and I have the same issue, I've been talking to my neighbors about it and they're saying they have the same issue.

Our stuff is only working half the time if you're lucky and we still get a full bill every month. It seems to me that when I call and complain they don't take me seriously. They probably think I'm trying to get free service but I'm not. I just want to be able to play my Xbox without having to get kicked off every 15 min. It seems to me that they're not holding up their end of the deal. I also need to run my small business off the Internet and phone.

We have been with Mediacom since we had TV after we moved here in '61. We have their cable service and their installers have all been very nice. We're very satisfied with Mediacom that's why we'd stayed with them for so long. I would recommend them to anyone.

Mediacom, thank you so much for such great service. I have just moved to a new house where I won't be able to have your service and I am really going to miss you! Becky in the office has been wonderful and helpful and so is the manager that she works for. I recommend your service to all the people I meet.

John,

Original review: April 7, 2017

The internet service provided is very poor. Main input signal is lost going to modem multiple times per day. I've had the same service for 4 years. Within the last 6 months my monthly charges have gone from $145 to $192 per month. I feel like I am being gouged.

Mediacom is the only one I can use down here. I live in an apartment and am not allowed to have a satellite. The sales team were very nice to me and the installation was great. I watch TV with their service and speed is fine. I’m satisfied with what Mediacom has done for me.

Hello Paul,

We strive to provide excellent service and customer service with each interaction. We are very sorry you did not experience that. I will research your account and contact you to discuss what happened.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Absolutely the worst customer service ever!! Lived in this location for two and a half years and have to call because the cable is out constantly!!! And when I call in treated to say the least poorly. For the record have owned my own business for over 30 years cannot believe that Mediacom can still be in business. Also I have never wrote a review before this one! Completely unsatisfied!!!

Duane,

Original review: April 6, 2017

I've had Mediacom for about 30 years. I've recently called them because I was putting it on vacation. They cut the charges down from around $100 to about six or seven for a minimum of two months. Somewhere along the line we went to the HD and that was a work in progress of several phone calls and trips out here, but we finally got it to work satisfactory. And every so often, I call Mediacom and somebody will give me a discount for six months. That's a pain in the rear because if you don't remember when the six months are up, then it goes back to their excessively high price. I don't see why that once you start that six months discount, it can't be continued automatically. And sometimes it takes 15 to 20 minutes before somebody answers. And for what they're selling me, it's overpriced. So what I should do is check out dishes and make a comparison on the service and the cost.

Phone is the worst of all. It just quits. The internet goes offline occasionally. I have complained but serviceman called and on his way...but told him it was working now. He said since working, he might have to charge me $70 for service call. I cancelled the order.

Hellos Charles,

Original review: April 5, 2017

I have had the TiVo service for several months now and I pay considerable amount of money for my cable and Internet however I am still having the same issues and having to call back to have the same problem resolved over and over again. Since this is the most modern package Mediacom has to offer I am still somewhat dissatisfied with the inability of the service to remain functional. It is also troublesome that it takes such a long time for Mediacom to respond with a service request usually ranging from 1 to 2 weeks before you can get a technician to get to your house. I will give them credit for prorating my bill during the downtime but the customer service that you get when you call technical support is somewhat mediocre at best. The usual response is to power down the router and then power down the cable box which has resolve the issue at times but usually I end up with the technician roughly 1 to 2 weeks after that does not work.

We’ve been with Mediacom for many years. About a year ago, we had problems where the picture would break down. But each time I call, they'd come out and replace things. A lot of people at this area are having the same problems and they stuck with it until everything worked normal. Plus, they gave us credits for the days that it wasn’t working right because it was affecting the computer too. Everybody’s been really nice, helpful and willing to work with me if a problem ever comes up. If somebody was doing something in a tablet and it would affect the computer usage and I was unaware of it, they would fix the problem and not charge me for it. So, that helped out a lot.

We've tried Dish about 15 years ago because we were told it was one of the best things, but we were very disappointed with it. Every time there’s little clouds in the sky it would bleep and it would go out. So now when people tell me that they've got Dish, I'd tell them that if they don’t have Mediacom, it’s going to go out on them and they're not going to be able to see their program even on a sunny day if there’s little tiny clouds up there. Plus, when we would go shopping somewhere and those representatives would be out walking around and saying, “Well, we’d like to sign you up.” We'd say, “No. Thank you. We have Mediacom. We’re happy with it. I’m not gonna switch. I refuse.” So, I don’t think I will ever leave Mediacom because we’ve been treated really good.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Gary,

Original review: April 4, 2017

Can't fix my internet upload speed. Problem has been going on since 10/15/2016. It may work for a few days and then it may not work for several days. Nobody seems to be able to fix it. I have contacted the FCC and the Better Business Bureau. Mediacom went ahead and closed my FCC complaint without even giving me the consideration of verifying a fix. I am now on my third FCC and BBB complaint. We don't have a second provider in our area so I have no choice to keep the heat on, not that that makes any difference. Have not been able to escalate issue to corporate. They have people in the middle that make very little effort to get resolution. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give them a negative 5.

Hello Mervyn,

That is a great question! I will research the issue and see what we can find out. I'll let you know what we find out ASAP.

Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: April 4, 2017

So far I'm satisfied with Mediacom, my main complaint is the channel layout. For example, all HBO channels should be listed together and all Showtime listed together and so forth with the premium channels. To have to jump around to find my premium channels is an unnecessary inconvenience.

Hello David,

We are very sorry they did not show you have to navigate the remote. I am going to send you some information to your email about that remote. Let me know if it is helpful and if you need anything else.

Have a great day!

Original review: April 4, 2017

Installation. Did not show us how to use the remote. Did not show us how to identify our favorite shows, remove or add favorites. The installer was polite and was careful about not tracking dirt into the house. He was polite. Wish there was a manual for using the remote.

Hello Robert,

Original review: April 4, 2017

My response is twofold. Customer service and responsiveness has been excellent. Results, not so much. After two service calls and a new modem, internet connection is still slow (dropped movies, spotty connection to remote printer, internet goes down frequently and cannot always make full use of Tivo option). If I had another option I would change in a heartbeat.

Hello Donna,

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad that they got those issues taken care of for you. Very sorry that it took multiple trips to get everything resolved. What channels are you interested in? We have recently started offering additional channels packages that you may be interested in. Al-a-carte channel packages are tough because we do not dictate how channels are sold. We don't own the channels, we only deliver service from point A to point B. So picking your favorite 20-30 channels would likely cost the same if not more for less channels that you receive now. But we are always looking for different options to give our customers what they want.

Original review: April 4, 2017

TV reception drops out and returns a few seconds later on a regular basis. Infuriating when you miss crucial dialogue in a program. Have also had multiple problems with Tivo and DVR. Each technician tells us that the previous technician told us the wrong thing. Maybe training is an issue? After about 5 service calls, things have been working for past couple of months. Would also like to subscribe to a few extra channels, but don't want to pay the outrageous fees to subscribe to each bundle they are a part of. Way too many channels already that we never watch. An ala carte channel menu would be nice! Satellite TV is looking more attractive all the time! Btw: Your telephone customer service reps are generally pretty nice when we call. Phone and ISP service have been working well with few outages. Thank you for your time!

John handled the problem we were having with great focus and understanding. His follow up was much appreciated. The tech who came out to repair the TiVo box was professional and thorough. Overall very pleased with the service both on the phone and in-person

Hello Gary,

Our commitment is to provide consistent reliable service and an exceptional customer experience each time you interact with us. Based on your current feedback, we did not meet this goal. I will have a representative research your concerns regarding your account and contact you with a resolution.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I have been having trouble with my email (Outlook Express) and have missed a lot of correspondence the last few weeks. My MCHSI acct which I am required to have by you has been listed as primary on a few sites and I have been unable to access it no matter what I did. I called around March 28th or so and was told "THIS IS NOT OUR PROBLEM." The technician did not even want to verify servers or anything to do with the acct. I was very frustrated. A good friend and IT specialist tried in vain using every setting suggested by Mediacom's website and still nothing.

I called again yesterday April 3 and was helped to gain access to webmail which I now use. The technician finally offered after many question that Mediacom has been having trouble with 3rd party mail. Just tell me if that is the case. Poor client relations. All my experience with internet related issues have been great. I am a steady customer but was not happy with the lack of good information.

Cecelia,

Original review: April 4, 2017

Upgrades in system aren't always a good thing! I've been with Mediacom over ten years. They have grown to accommodate the growing community. With every upgrade I endure outages, show interruptions and poor Internet quality. I have been given a credit once! Formats are changed making it hard to find channels so many simply weren't watched for over a year because we couldn't figure out how to find them anymore. It should never be that hard! Honestly I think it is very overpriced for what we are getting.

I had a good experience with Mediacom. My only complaint is when you need service sometimes it takes a week or more to get an appointment. We also had an am appointment, they didn't show up till 3pm, saying we have an all day appointment. I wasn't happy with that. Other than service appointments, we have been very happy with Mediacom.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Barbara & Rick,

Original review: April 4, 2017

Our service tech came on 3/16 to hook us up. Due to a lack of communication, one less box was installed that day. He said he would come back on the 20th to finish. I had our check ready for the first month and installation charges. He started to leave without it. We had to go after him to give him the check. Then, evidently, he either entered or gave to someone else incorrect routing information and/or account numbers. He did however come and install the last TIVO box.

So, fast forward a week later - the 23rd. We were watching TV and then got a message that we apparently were not subscribed to this channel. Tried another channel, same message. So I call Customer Service. That is when I was told about the misread or entered account/routing number. NO ONE called us to check things out, they just pulled the plug. I had to give the gentleman our routing and account information all over again. An electronic transfer of funds. So the gentleman restored our television service. I was told that there would not be a double payment. Well, guess what. I found out a couple of days later that both payments had been credited to my account.

Later that same day, after having the TV restored we lost internet. Had to call again. How come no one could check all of our services and restore them all??? I did send my concerns to the contact us section through the Mediacom website. I was dealing with a very nice person named Allie. I have never seen the second payment clear my bank, so I am guessing it was cancelled. She seemed to take care for our problems via the internet. Very helpful. I did receive a bill for $72.00 that I sent a check for. I truly do not understand what it covers. I am guessing for our next month service.

I left my previous service provider due to poor customer service. Many failed attempts to repair a problem, poor quality of service. Then, when there is a problem with our first payment to Mediacom, no one bothered to call, the plug was just pulled. I could understand if we were always late with payments, but I pay our bills in time, and this was our first bill due to Mediacom. I was very upset and disappointed. Allie did help. And, the people on the phone with customer service seemed nice, but I think they should have checked to see that all of our services were restored, not the necessity of more than one call. Thank you for letting me vent a little more.

Mediacom Cable Company Profile