DISH Network

DISH Network Reviews

3.4/5 (1261 ratings)

About DISH Network Reviews

DISH Network Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

DISH network's customer support is just a tactic to sell you upgraded services for a temporary, usually 30 day, discount. Then, the increases start coming at increasing frequency and amount. Too expensive for poor channel choices!! To get sports or "premium programming" is way too costly. I am "cord" cutting!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

Do not do business with this dishonest company. They will trick you into paying for contracts you never agreed to. I contracted with DISH network for satellite service. Part of the agreement was that I was hooked for two years. I even added a service arrangement with them that stipulated I would not be charged their ultra high service fee if they had to send a technician to repair their defective product when it broke. When I experienced an interruption in service that could not be solved working with one of their phone operators they sent a technician to my house. The technician was very pleasant and discovered that the DISH receiver was not functioning properly and was in fact outdated and he replaced it. By doing that DISH extended my contract for another two years. Their excuse was that when I agreed to have the non functioning receiver replaced I was automatically agreeing to the extension of my contract.

The alternative was to continue to pay for a service I was no longer receiving. Use HULU or NETFLIX, or any service that is internet based instead. No hidden equipment rental fees or fake extension of any contract. DISH is simply fundamentally dishonest. They will steal your money and they have interruptions in service very frequently. They offer minimal assistance when this happens.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

The salesperson promised a Hopper3, voice remote, and that it would accommodate the 4 TVs that are in my home. The installer informed me that the Hopper3 isn’t operable and that it may never be. He installed a Hopper2 which will only accommodate 3 TVs. The system that was installed doesn’t offer voice remote. One of the TVs goes into sleep mode regularly while I am watching it and the technician who came out to bury the cable in my yard said I would have to live with it since that is common with the system they installed. I gave a poor review to DISH in response to their request for a review and have not received a response. I would recommend people to avoid DISH Network. This is one of the worst decisions I have ever made.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I signed up with DISH in May of 2021. I got their basic equipment, which seemed to be very buggy. But I figured it was just the nature of the beast. After a few weeks of pixelization, and interruptions in DVR programs I called DISH. They sent out a the same technician who installed it originally, and he quickly came to the conclusion that leaves on a tree were causing the problem. Hmmmm....I thought there were leaves on the tree when he installed the dish. But I accepted his foolishness and cut down offending limbs about two weeks later. No leaves....same problems. But as it was summer, and I spend little time watching tv in the summer I was recording quite a bit on the DVR though.

After about three months the satellite box was barely able to provide an hour of programming without audio and video cutouts. I called DISH again....and they sent the same imbecile out again. He said he could swap the box out, but that I would lose all of the premium programming I had recorded (3 months free pay channels). So I kept the box in order to keep the programming I had recorded.

After about a year the box had become so unstable that pixelization and audio/video cutouts were like part of every tv show. I had enough. I called DISH and demanded a new box. I asked them if they were able to transfer programs saved on DVR and they said they now could. Great!! The same knuckle dragging technician showed up with a new box, connected it to my old box, and quickly deleted every single recording. Ooooops. And to add insult to injury the box that they replaced the old box with was nearly as bad as the original. Now that box has failed completely (with a full DVR), and with 4 months left on the contract. They are sending out a new box (and TRIED to charge me to replace their defective equipment), but I know again everything on the DVR will be lost again.

There's a few things people should know about DISH. They do not honor the promotions offered when you sign up. I signed up for the 55+ plan, which offered a free movie every month. They have refused to honor that. They provide substandard equipment. The boxes I have received have great difficulty streaming, are not capable of recording one show and watching another, have a nasty habit of shutting down and rebooting while I am watching television, and lack the basic tool of a screensaver to prevent burn in on flat screen tv's when programming is paused.

If you call their "customer service" you will spend hours on hold and usually be connected to the Third World. Once reaching someone they will blame everything but their own equipment for problems. It's the weather (cloudy)....your internet isn't working (it's working fine)....the box needs to be reset(I've done that while suffering through waiting for a customer service non professional), etc, etc.

Once the problem isn't resolved you will be transferred to a different customer service non professional and the process repeats itself. And expect calls to be frequently disconnected, allowing you the pleasure of wading through their hellish automated answering system. Expect to listen to a noxious diatribe of DISH propaganda while waiting for an indifferent customer service non professional, most of that propaganda centered around how to pay your bill and how to buy additional services (even though they aren't providing the ones you've paid for).

Unless you rent their more expensive box many of the services they claim to provide don't work. You cannot remotely access programming on your DVR, the DISH anywhere app is limited to a small amount of programming, and Android devices cannot be used as a remote. That last thing is a real problem, because if your remote doesn't work the entire system is essentially useless. That happened once with me. My response was to get a new remote and then claim it doesn't work, prompting them to send you another. They will try and charge you for this, but if you refuse to pay they'll send it anyway.

Having DISH has been the most unpleasant video provider i have ever had. They are a dishonest business that tries to bleed the customer for every dollar possible once you are locked into a contract with them. I will be done with these dregs this May, and I am already sharpening up my streaming skills. Streaming does have a few disadvantages to satellite to be sure, but at a little over half the cost, no garbage equipment to fail (a backup FireStick is cheap) and far less time spent on the phone with the Third World. I'm sure those disadvantages will be more than outweighed by the wonderful feeling of being liberated from DISH network.

Oh, and one more thing. I haven't had my local Fox affiliate for months. When asked about this DISH tells me the only option is to get a streaming service or a roof antenna. I'm too far away for a roof antenna, but the streaming suggestion was very helpful. DISH pointed the way to their own replacement. DISH has been an excursion in hell for this customer.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

Extremely wasteful regarding environment--endless unwelcome mailings with lots of paper and plastic. I've told them repeatedly, over years, that I do not own a tv and do not intend to, but they refuse to stop the mailings. They once referred me to a company through which they said I could stop the mailings, but the company insisted I give my social security number which I saw no good reason for so declined. Dish absolutely does not care about their customers or potential customers. not an ethical company

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

We signed up with DISH about four months ago. A few days ago, we lost our streaming services. The tech team said the failure point was the modem. It was outdated and unable to handle the speed of the incoming signal. Dish refused to replace the modem. They said the 45 day warranty had expired. (It seems to me that a 45 day warranty is enough to cover a failure due to manufacturing defects. But DISH installed (and thereby vouched for) a modem that they knew, or should have known would soon be obsolete because of technology advances.) Dish stonewalled me. They suggested I take the matter up with the router's manufacturer. I could not get past tech support to talk to a supervisor. I paid $400 to the technicians for new routers to restore my streaming services.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

We've had Dish service for close to 3-yrs now, approximately 3-4 months ago our bill increased by $70-$80 a month so we started looking for a cheaper service. We located an alternate service that was significantly cheaper than Dish. I contacted Dish on 01/13 to cancel service and was told it would cost $220 due to an early termination fee. I questioned the early cancellation fee since we've had Dish for close to 3-years, we only signed a 24-month contract? The Senior Resolution Rep (Maria) stated that when we moved to North Carolina from Florida in November '21 that I requested an extra Joey Box for our Den, the other Dish equipment was brought with us from Florida.

I did request an additional Joey box for the Den and Maria stated when doing so it automatically renewed our 24-month contract. I never agreed to a 24-month contract extension, I was never informed of an extension and would have NEVER agreed to an extension for just adding another receiver? Contract extensions generally occur when the customer is getting a special rate or something similar and NOT because the customer is paying more a month for an extra receiver.

I found it EXTREMELY suspicious that on (2) occasions Maria stated the reason our monthly bill went up was because our contract ended cancelling our "special rate." I stopped Maria twice and questioned why the cancellation fee if our contracted ended as she mentioned TWICE. Maria quickly corrected herself and said the contract was renewed when we requested an extra box, if we use the renewed scenario, we should still be receiving our special contract rate, correct?? I got no response...

We NEVER agreed to a contract extension and Maria stated TWICE our monthly bill went up because our contract ended? There are WAY too many customer complaints on BBB that revolve around a shady business practice severely lacking in ANY sort of transparency! There are too many alternatives to be treating customers in this manner. Based on other reviews from this site and many other sites, Dish has a reputation for being dishonest with their customers, this isn't just a one-off from a lone disgruntled customer...

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I tried to cancel my mother's account and besides it taking 45 minutes to finally get them to stop trying to sell me more crap, I had told them we needed to cancel because my mother was dying and we had to move her to a nursing facility and they told me multiple times they were going to charge her $250.00 cancellation fee because she had a 2 year contract. Really? I am a pretty calm person but I could not hold my cool over them telling me multiple times about her cancellation fee.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

DISH has screwed us over with lies and no help. Countless hours on the phone chasing equipment and false charges. My father passed and they charged us a 400+ termination fee. No one knows anything when you call and it's so frustrating. They even charged my dead father's credit card. They intentionally hassle you until you give up. What a great thing to do to someone who lost someone.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

If you are considering Dish's product. Please be aware of the automatic two-year term of the contract. Once you sign up, you must pay for it for two years, even if you dislike the service or pay a $500 fee. This term is set automatically upon signing up. We bought their product, disliked the quality and quantity of the available content and wished to cancel. The first time we called, they recommended that we put the service on hold for six months as we were "too new to cancel." Being on hold requires a monthly fee of approximately $18.

When we called back several months later to say we were not interested in the service and wanted to cancel, they told us that the two-year term would start when we started paying for the service again (e.g., two more years) or we could pay a $500 termination fee. Nobody mentioned this in any of our other calls. Tricking customers into delaying their ability to exit and announcing fees when they actually want to cancel is a very poor customer experience. We recommend that you select another cable or satellite service that is more forthright in its dealings with customers and provides a higher-quality product.

DISH author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

DISH Network Company Information