DISH Network

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

DISH SUCKS. In my opinion they are liars and legal crooks. DO NOT get their service. They will screw you any way they can. If you want to cancel be prepared to get the Royal Shaft with no grease! Even the Office of The President of Dish are not honest! BEWARE!!!

Ever since I changed to the hopper 3 the service has been crap. Goes out all the time. Nothing but a black screen. I call in and they say it is because of the weather. I call **. I did not have these issues with the prior system even on the snowiest of days. I believe it is their new hopper. It's crap and they don't want to have to spend the money to replace them. So until someone steps in and sues them or slaps them with a big fine. I will be contacting an attorney to see if I can sue for breach of contract.

I have had dish for over two years, due to signing a two year contract, otherwise I would've cancelled service much sooner. Their customer service is terrible and they scam with refer a friend coupons. I was referred to them and never received my discount nor did the people who referred us. More than half of our channels didn't work and after several phone calls and countless time spent attempting to fix the situation, it only worsened. They wanted to charge me $95 to have someone come fix the problem which was we couldn't acquire signal. Now mind you we don't live in a rural area. After refusing and telling them they could just come get their equipment they agreed to send someone out at no cost.

Basically, just telling me what I wanted to hear because when I got our bill we were in fact charged the $95. The tech who came out only got 7% signal. He was very apologetic and understood our frustration seeing how we were paying for services not rendered. I called and fought with them some more and they finally removed the $95 but refused to credit our account and said we would not be credited due to them only receiving one phone call. That was when I lost it because they had apparently 'lost' every 'recorded' conversation I've had about this problem and refused to make the situation right. Why should I, the consumer, be responsible to pay for services I couldn't watch. No way, so I said, 'fine, cancel our service. I am done giving you all another dime.' They were completely happy to do so and thought they were going to charge me to have someone come out and remove their equipment from my home.

Over my dead body would I consent to giving Dish Network another dime ever. When I asked the manager for his work ID as well as the gentleman I'd spoken with prior, he refused and said he wasn't allowed, which is untrue. I immediately hung up and called DirecTV, saved $40/mo, received more channels, and NFL Sunday ticket through 2017 at no additional cost as well as a $100 visa gift card. Good riddance Dish, HELLO DirecTV! Save your time, money and efforts and go with DirecTV. You'll be thankful you did!!

I was a customer for 3 years on auto withdrawal. I canceled my service with Dish 2 days before they were to withdraw funds from my bank account since 2 employees said there would be no deduction as long as I canceled before the withdrawal date. 6 days after canceling my account with Dish, and not even on the usual auto withdrawal date, they withdrew funds from my account. I called to ask why they withdrew funds and was told I have a credit with Dish now. A credit does me no good since I canceled my service! I was told they would refund the money to my bank account in 7-10 business days. When the money wasn't there after that time I called back and they said 19 business days. This is not acceptable! I spoke to managers who could have cared less that they illegally withdrew funds without my permission. I am still waiting for my refund. There needs to be a class action lawsuit filed on this company!!!

I have had Dish network for since last April and the problem I've had with Dish network is the customer service department. They tell you one thing in one breath and then they turn around and do something opposite in the other breath. Usually send that cost you more money not to go into all the details of every problem I've had with Dish network since last April and it's only January. The latest problem is I got my Bill this morning and it was higher than it supposed to be. I have a two year contract with them. Called. It look like on my bill they charge me for a receiver I'm have to get for free. Then I turn around. Said no it's because I wasn't on auto pay and that's reason why they charge me and said just simply correcting it.

They were first wanted me to pay the bill. I told him I'm not gonna pay the bill until it's corrected and then I said "What. Will give you one time credit but you have to manually pay your bill and back at auto pay." Their custom and then that was the third person I agreed to do that. The second person I had was try to talk over me and argue with me about what the bill was. Then the first person wasn't able to do anything at all so like I said I've been on the phone for over an hour. Cannot get anyone of a managerial position even after you ask. Like I said worst customer service ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Like many other reviews I have read I originally signed up for what was supposed to be a 1 year contract and at that time I was looking for another place. I asked them if I moved to a place that didn't allow a Dish or for whatever reason dealt with another provider what would happen then and they assured me that as long as that was the case I could get out of my contact. Well that happened and of course they lied and I couldn't get out of the contract so my sister did me a big favor and used Dish and paid me the monthly payments. Then after the year they tell me I agreed to a 2 year contract and they raised the price $50/mo. When I complained about the whole situation and what I was told at the time I agreed to everything they said that they didn't manipulate me it was an outside source (which says Dish network when you call). They have the absolute worst customer service I have ever dealt with and I would never recommend them to anyone!

Dish has a habit of listing false programs on Chanel 393 prst Gun tv. They list shooting programs and you get infomercials. This is a total rip off. When I contact them they say they have no control of what's on the Chanel But they have no problem raising my bill.

DO NOT GO WITH DISH NETWORK!! I went with Dish due to the fact that I could record 6 cable channels at one time. This worked well for nearly a year, then my recorder wacked out and today I can only record two shows at a time while watching another. I contacted the support people and they kept telling me I had to upgrade my box to record more channels. Then they said I could record 6 channels at a time using PrimeTime Anytime, which means you can record your local channels ONLY. I tried to explain that when I was set up I was able to record 6 different channels at a time. They would not listen. My only option was to upgrade. This company is a ripoff, and I will never use them again. I would just dump it today but it will cost me over $200.00 for an early term fee. Either way they screwed me.

Contacted Dish TV about a $5.00 additional fee that I was protected against with my contract. Regardless of what the contract I had stated, they said it was wrong and they had undercharged me for something and I had to make up for it. Their mistake. Not mine. Spoke to 4 representatives. Have to say they were the most unpleasant reps I have ever talked to in my life. They would not even listen to me when I read the contract they sent and agreed to. It made no difference. They were going to get their 5 bucks no matter what; even if I cancelled. In all good conscience I cannot recommend Dish TV for any reason. Their programming is no better than any others. If you are thinking about going to them, be forewarned you are dealing with less than an reputable business.

Today I logged into my account to view my contract and was unable to find it anywhere. I called the customer service number to request my company and the guy said he would email it to me right now. I waited and still did not receive a copy of my contract so I called them again. I got a new person on the phone and explained to him that I requested a copy of my contract from the previous representative that I had not yet received yet. He told me, "that's the thing each customer is different because some can get it right away and other 24-48 hrs later". I told him that this should be something a customer could view right now on their profile but does not exists anywhere under my profile.

His reply, "well I'm sorry but that's that way it is with Dish and I will just have to wait to receive it and it will be there at some point". This is not how customers' contracts should work for at any point a contract is needed to be viewed it should be done at any given point under the profile; not the case!! I requested to be transferred to a manager and got a floor supervisor (customer retention supervisor), and explained to her what I need. She said that contracts are not viewable online and I would just need to wait until I receive it. Not to mention she was unable to provide me with my contract.

I have been with Dish for 6yrs or more and maybe I should have looked at this many years ago. If Dish Network wants to hold me to a contract then this contract needs to be provided upon request or viewable at any point needed!! Not to mention I was told that they will need to request my contract but yet told me they were able to email it to me; still have not received it.

I had Dish service in Oregon. I discontinued my service in February of 2015 and returned their equipment. Today I got an alert from my credit agency that there was a $640.00 amount reported to collections from Dish. I called and they are claiming that they didn't receive their equipment back and are just now reporting it. I received nothing from them and I have been out of stat for 2 years. Leo, Badge ** admitted that there has been no activity on this account for 2 years but that they didn't show the equipment was returned. I was required to pay the $640.00 for a 5 year old modem and cable box which was definitely mailed to them and on top of that they caused my credit score to go down by 47 points. This is so wrong on so many levels. Even if it costs me money I will pursue with a legal suit. It is the principle!

We canceled our DISH service on 11/28/16 and they told me they would be sending me a final bill and boxes for our equipment. I received the boxes and sent back the equipment. I then received the final bill with a $400 ETF!!! What the Hell!!! So today, 1/6/17, they automatically pulled $400 from a card I had on file without my authorization. I now have $15 in my bank account until next Friday to put gas in my car for work and buy groceries for my 4 children... again What the Hell!!

I called them up and disputed this charge and the fact that I did not consent to them removing any money from my account. They told me there was absolutely nothing they could do for me... even a supervisor couldn't help me. What kind of company can't help its customers out??? A really awful one!!! They are claiming they had my consent to do it back when I opened my service with them. I never signed any contract or gave verbal consent to a contract... they are liars!!

When I called to cancel the service they never said anything about pulling an ETF out of my account automatically!! I would have put a stop to that fast!! So now I will have to dispute the charges through my bank, all the while will be out $400 dollars until it is rectified. DO NOT GET THEIR SERVICE. THEY ARE CROOKS!!! THEY ARE LIARS AND THEY HAVE NO SOUL OR COMPASSION!!! If you have their service beware of their shady tactics and their taking your money without your consent!!!

We switched to Dish over a year ago to try because they guaranteed better server with a better price. It took 2 weeks for them to get it working correctly and then it went out. I called and cancelled because in the paper we signed it stated we had 30 days to see if we liked it and if not there would be no charge. I just looked at my credit report and it is on there for over $400 in collections. This is terrible. We had nothing but issues and never got to watch their TV. We have moved almost a year ago and have Directv and have never had a problem. Sickened that they are ruining my credit.

5 years ago a sales rep contacted me and talked to me for over 40 minutes trying to buy me an offer for a cheap price. Finally I got the deal. When the technician came to install it he showed me a screen with the signing place so I signed. I received my first bill with almost double the price. I contacted the same number and the whole number (did not exist)!!! I contacted the customer service and they told me the price is on the tablet with the technician (which he did not show me). I continued paying for almost 2 years. At this point I had to leave the country. I contacted them and DISCONNECTED the services and PAID the termination fee. I returned the device and left the country.

They contacted my family and asked for payment (ANOTHER PAYMENT). My 75 year old mom did pay them AGAIN. Now 5 years later they continue contacting my family and referred me to a COLLECTION AGENCY which is calling my mom with threats on a daily basis. I contacted their customer services and she kept on repeating the same thing over and over (your account shows no payment) no matter what I try to explain!!! Never ever sign up for their services.

After acquiring Dish TV, I have had to call them 3 times because they keep trying to bill me for promotional items they advertise for free. After each phone call, they assure me it has be fixed. I am sure another phone call is in my future. Also with every call I ask to speak to a supervisor, but that never happens. I wholeheartedly DO NOT recommend this company.

So I have had Dish service for 3 years. I moved to Alabama and had my services transferred down with the move. I added a box to my bedroom. When I wanted to cancel my account with them because my bill was constantly different they told me I had early termination fees. Wasn't sure how that was possible since I had been with them for 3 years. They told me that by adding a box it automatically renewed my contract for two years and my total balance to turn off my services was about 800$. I told them I never signed a new contract with them. They said it was over the phone. I requested my contract be sent to me via email. They did so. My signature was indeed NOT on it. They had no choice but to refund the termination fee. They told me that contract was just for tv. So I requested a copy of the Internet one as well. And my signature was NOT on that one either.

Both early termination fees were reversed and all I owe now is about 240$ which is 2 months worth of bills I refused to pay. When I receive the statement I will be contacting them again to make more adjustments because they refused to let me terminate my account and their contracts were not valid. In hindsight take the time and stress to request your contract. Go over it and make sure your signature is on it. If it is you have to pay it. But their contract via paper requires a signature. The phone terms you agree to are not enough to hold you. It saved me roughly 600$ and possibly more. Feel free to contact me if you want to be walked through it more. Screw this company and never go with them.

When I originally contacted a Dish Network salesperson via telephone, I was told that I would have a 12 month contract with a 24 month price guarantee. The installer instead of simply following the wiring from previous DirecTV installation, ran an enormous amount of cable across an entire side of my brick home which looks like crap, but threw the DirecTV satellite dish in my backyard where it was left damaged until I cleaned it up, then using a small smartphone where it was impossible to read the contract they had me sign, only to find out I was locked into a 24 month contract and our service is terrible, the HD is terrible, every time a cloud passes over we lose the signal and if it actually rains it goes out for lengthy amount of time.

The price goes up after a year and if you try to get out of the contract they charge you $20 a month for the remainder of the time left. I will never use Dish again. We received multiple harassing phone calls from them for several months until I basically had to threaten them to have the calls stopped. They are LIARS, CHEATS, and THIEVES. Never use Dish. Worst company out there.

I just got off the phone with Dish and I'm rating this company 1 star because it's crazy the lady said I can't get internet in my area. It's like 12 people over here with Dish. I doubt all of them has no wifi & I know cause I checked. Got to do better. I recommend DirecTV or Time Warner cable honestly.

I have been a long term Dish customer. However, every time I moved or upgraded my equipment, it has been a nightmare dealing with customer service. The latest and final episode was when I upgraded to take advantage of the two year price guarantee/one year free Netflix promotional offer. I ordered a new HD DVR and 2 Joeys that allowed reception for two additional TVs. Dish agreed to provide the promotion under a new two year contract.

When the bill arrived in March 2016, they did not honor the promotion. I called and was told they had no record of the agreement. They said the promotion was over (not true) and the best they would do was to discount my bill by $15 a month. However, they could only lock the discount in for one year: I would have to call in at the end of December 2016 to have the discount continued. I agreed due to the high termination fee but was upset that I was lied to and would not receive Netflix.

I called in late December 2016 to ensure my discount would continue prior to getting my January 2017 bill. They said they had no record of the agreement to continue my discount for an additional year. I am tired of the lies and price gouging from Dish. I now have to pay the termination fee and return postage for the equipment. Dish is now history and I am relieved to never having to deal with this sorry company again. Lesson learned: Get everything in writing because they do not record anything that favors the customer and will blatantly lie to you.

So I have had this for almost 7 years now. They really have very crappy customer service. They never try to help me with anything. They do help me somewhat but not what they should be helping me with. They're always adding things to my bills and not keeping my bill the same so it's constantly going up so I'm thinking about switching to DirecTV. I hear great things about them.

BEWARE! BEWARE OF DISH NETWORK SCAMS!!! Want to warn all my friends and family about Dish Network practices going on. We have not had Dish Network in over 3 years. Two days ago Dish Network somehow was able to get our checking account number and make charges to our account. Deena has been on the phone with them for a hour trying to get our money back. They are telling her they want our banking information so they can check to see what happened. They should have all our banking information since they made charges against our account. They can't even tell us what the charges are for. Everyone that has ever had Dish Network beware of their underhandedness. Dish Network are outright thieves.

I will never ever recommend DishTV to anyone. *DO NOT SIGN UP WITH DISH TV* The service that I just got was unacceptable. I had to cancel my service due to my moving out of the state and they could do nothing to help me with the remaining contract. I had to pay an early termination fee ($220 charged to my credit card) and being charge to send equipment back, have to wait 10 days though for them to send the boxes, if not back in 30 days from the time of cancellation a charge of $49 to possibly $349 if the equipment is not returned in that time frame. Please do not sign up with Dishtv. Respectfully, Not Pleased customer.

Long story short my hopper box needed to be replaced for a 3rd time due to hard drive failure. I wanted to upgrade to the hopper with a sling because I refuse to get the same box that has failed in the past basically got the runaround. The only way I could upgrade is with a two-year contract which I refuse to do because I have been a loyal Dish customer for 10 years now. The only thing they could all from me was to waive the 2-year contract fee and give me $5 off a month on Starz. So when I told them I wanted to cancel because that offer wasn't good enough they just cancelled it and didn't even care that I was a long-time customer. The customer service is horrible. I don't know if they have recently gone through the whole company and change things because this used to have excellent customer service and now it is just awful and I would not recommend it to anybody!!

Service for 8 years or more. Bill kept going up & Less channels for the money. Rural America so this was the ONLY thing available. Part-time Residence so service rarely used. Numerous times it was difficult to get customer service help!! Decide to shut OFF service. Get charged $18.41 for shipping equipment back when they provide the boxes! Couldn't believe they had NO local drop-off spot, but they NEVER mentioned that fee!!! NEVER use them AGAIN!!!

My mom got DISH Network service almost a year ago. She moved. Service was cut off. Because I paid one time bill with my card they waited 7 months later without my authorization took 260 out my account saying she had a verbal agreement for early termination that can take the money. No authorization from the account holder. No notice. Just take it. I'm pissed. She don't remember signing nothing contract. Beware and I can't get my money back.

This company is a joke, I should have remembered that my husband had a horrible experience with this company, consisting of endless time on the telephone addressing over charges, false and incorrect information provided by this company. This company locks individuals in with a 2 year contract, meaning that they can lie and do whatever they want and you can't leave. If you choose to disconnect service they charge you a $400.00 cancellation fee. I feel like I am being held hostage by my cable company, this is completely unbelievable.

Here is my experience. I called today to get a payment extension, my bill is due today. I only needed an 8 day extension. I have never been late on this service. I was informed I was not eligible for a payment arrangement due to the fact that I am on a pre-pay account. I didn't even know what that was, I was never informed of this program nor would I have agreed with it. I paid a $300.00 deposit as a normal customer would pay a deposit. It is important for you to understand that I had previous service with sudden link and disconnected to come to this company for 2 channels that sudden link did not offer.

I was on the phone with 3 supervisors this morning for an hour, taking time away from my employer. These supervisor absolutely did not care of the incorrect information I was provided and they all stated they did not have to legally tell me they were putting me on this plan. I am now writing this review and holding on the line with corporate office, again taking time away from my employer.

The only solution is for me to pay a $400.00 cancellation fee. This is so unbelievable, do not use this company. You will be very disappointed and very saddened that companies can treat their customers like this. They state this is a family owned business, the man that created and built it would be disappointed and saddened. I just spoke with the highest department in the corporate office. I was informed the same exact information. I have tried every attempt to allow this company to correct their mistakes and make them right. I will be moving forward with choices I did not want to be forced to do. I will calling the Better Business Bureau and writing this review, something has to be done by this company. I am total confusion.

After being with them 2 months my receiver went out, I called they told me it was an obsolete receiver and they would send me a new one. The new one came in the mail. I opened the box. It was the model received that went bad. I called asked them why they sent me another obsolete received, they said it wasn't obsolete. Someone told me wrong; 2 months later same thing - I called; they said it's obsolete received. Enough Changed to DirecTV; got 2 rooms for what Dish was charging for 1. Great service, nice people, great reception, 8 months and running.

I signed up w/ Frontier about a two month ago w/ a two year contract. In the process I have had nothing but problems after problem. At one point I didn't have no phone service for two weeks, then they charge me $365 twice, and etc. I called Frontier last week to have my service transfer due to I moved to a new location. Frontier had schedule me an appointment on 12/18/2016 to have my service installed at my new home. Dish Network showed up to install their service. When the gentleman arrived I asked him who sent him because I had an existing contract w/ Frontier. He stated Frontier sent him out. So he went ahead and installed all his equipment. After he installed his equipment he stated I need to sign a contract.

I informed him I am not signing no contract and he can take his equipment with him. He stated he would leave everything there and let the office know. The next day I called Frontier and informed them of the situation. Frontier informed me they never sent Dish Network out and the transfer was never done. At that point I told Frontier to cancel all my service with them and that I was not paying a cancellation fee due to I have had nothing but problems with their service since day one. The rep agreed and closed the account and voided the contract. She gave me order # ** to verify my contract was canceled. I then called Dish Network to inform them of the situation. I s/w Frank ID #** and was informed that I could not cancel my service.

I informed him you can not hold someone hostage. I informed him of the situation and let him know I didn't call to set this service up. I didn't sign no contract. That I need to cancel this service. He placed me on a brief hold then came back and stated if I cancel he would charge me $400. I asked him for what if I never signed up. He stated because they installed the service. I told him I could see if I didn't call the next day of operation to report the situation. He stated it didn't matter. So, I requested a copy of the contract I signed. They stated they didn't have one. I said "if you don't have one then you have to cancel." He kept giving me the runaround. So, I just informed him do whatever he needs to do to cancel my service without a charge.

I then call Frontier 12/20/16 and informed them of the situation. Frontier then called Dish network while I was placed on hold, informed Dish Network that they did not request the service and my contract has been voided with me. The rep at Frontier then transfer me to Dish Network and informed me that they would take over the call. I was transferred to Christian ID #**. I explained the whole situation to her again after the rep from Frontier explained everything to her. Frontier then disconnected after she explained everything to rep. Miss Christian then went on to explain that I refused for them to pull the contract when I s/w Frank last night. I then explained to her I told Frank to do whatever he needed to do to close my account without a charge.

Christian stated she would try to pull the contract but I still will be charge for this day until they locate the contract. I informed her why would they charge me and I'm calling to cancel. They are the one's leaving it on. At this point I don't think I should be charge for anything. I'm trying to return the equipment and they don't want to take. I even suggest they suspend the account until they can come up with a resolution. Christian advised they couldn't do that either. I truly needed some assist because I feel like I am being taken advantage of at this point.

I had been with Dish for nearly 10 years. Recently we needed to do some changes to our account. I wanted to decrease the amount of channels that we had to save money. However, in order to do so I had to have an upgraded receiver because the current one I had would not allow the upgrade. I did so, not knowing that this new receiver would mean that I had to fulfill a new contract term.

When Spectrum came to me and offered me better service for less money I could not pass it up. Spectrum also offered me a payout option for the new contract that Dish was sticking to me. I called to specifically have the automatic payment stopped, a total of $492.83, as I was waiting for the payoff check. Also, the day that Dish wanted to charge me for the early termination was earlier than my normal billing. I spoke with a representative who assured me that he would stop that auto pay. The company did not stop the auto pay and have pulled the total amount from my bank account. Hopefully, I will receive the payoff check before other auto bills are pulled so that my account does not overdraw. I cannot believe how terrible this company has been to such a long term customer. I am terribly upset and disappointed.

In September, I referred a friend to Dish Network. She signed up immediately. Neither of us saw the discount that we were to receive in our Oct. or Nov. bills. She received her discount in her Dec. bill, but I did not. We both contacted Dish in Oct. and Nov. In Oct., I was told that I would see the discount on Nov. bill. In Nov., I did not see the discount and called again. This time I was told that they had to submit a form to corporate office. I gave them the referral number that I provided to my friend.

When I called today, they told me they needed the referral number. I told them that I no longer had it and that I gave it to the representative that I spoke with last month and it should be in their system. They are refusing to give me the discount stating that my referral number wasn't used and without the referral number, they can't verify anything. I believe they are giving me the runaround. I was supposed to get a $10 discount for 10 months and they offered me $5 for 6 months. What kind of scam are they running? I got a different excuse each time I've called. I live in the country and Dish is the only choice I have. DirecTV wasn't able to help us. I HATE DISH NETWORK!!! I heard nothing but bad about them and now I know it first hand!!! Don't fall for their refer a friend program. It's a scam!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.
  • Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.
  • Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.
  • No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.
  • Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.
  • Best for Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers