ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.74/5
Based on 2,145 ratings submitted in the last year
Visit Website

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

DISH Network Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2019

My mother's television was showing no signal and so she called for tech support. The first person who answered, she didn't get his name, didn't listen to her and kept saying there was nothing he could do to help because it was obviously a problem with her TV. I called back for her and spoke with a lady named Joy and, yes, it did turn out out that the TV was on the wrong setting, but she took the time to listen and helped us figure out what the actual problem was. I don't know if this will get back to her employers but I really appreciate her patience and her taking the time to help with kindness.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have to say after reading so many bad reviews on here I was really hesitant to have Dish installed at my home, but I decided to go ahead and sign up for service and make the switch from cable and I am very glad I did. I have 1 hopper 3 and 2 joey 3.0s installed in my home and they work extremely well with no issues. The technician arrived promptly on time right at the beginning of my appointment and he did an excellent job on the installation. He was highly experienced. Not to mention he did the install on a very cold day, about zero degrees outside with 30 mph winds. I did not want the Dish mounted on my brand new roof and he was able to accommodate my request. He was able to install on a pole in my yard with clear line of sight and strong signal. He was also able to connect to the existing coax ports in my house which was awesome.

Overall the Hopper 3 and Joey receivers are great with excellent picture quality. Since the install, we've had heavy snowstorms and ice storms and very high 40 mph wind gusts in Michigan (here the weather is terrible 90 percent of the time) and have not had any issues with my picture. The service hasn't even blinked one second and my TVs run 24/7 in my home. The technician really made sure I had great signal, and I guess it also helps that I do not have many tall trees in my yard. I was really reluctant to get Dish after reading about the many problems people have the signal, but I've had none and customer service was great as well.

I made the switch from AT&T U-verse and I'm glad I did. The U-verse TV would go out frequently on a weekly basis for me. I could have gone with Comcast or WOW for cable, but I've had them both before in the past and both were bad experiences for me. The only one I've never had until now was DISH and so far it's the best experience I've had so far and they have the best technology in my honest opinion compared to what I've had so far. Honestly before I made the switch, I thought I would be taking a step backwards switching from cable to satellite but that is not the case as service is very reliable. I am just an honest customer. I am not paid for this review. I had many bad experiences with AT&T, Comcast, and WOW. I've had them all and neither were good.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Love this network. The system is very cool and technically easy to use smart everything! The only complaint for me is only 3 things can be running at once so if you are recording 2 things only one box can change channels.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Our dish service was ok but the prices kept going up and the basic programming was not good. I called toward the end of my contract to inquire about the price I could expect to pay to continue. They "couldn't tell me". Of course at the end of my contract the price doubled! I discontinued service at the end of my billing period and got hit with junk fees. Customer service person was beyond rude and condescending. They do not value. You as a customer at all.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

You cannot cancel your service online but have to speak with a customer service rep who will be quite persistent in trying to keep you as a customer. Had to wait over 20 mins on the phone to get a customer service rep. Very fustrating experience. I canceled to go to Hulu as I do not need as many channels as they offer and the Flex pack did not have the channels do watch but Hulu does. Why can't a person cancel online?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Every few months my bill goes up 5 dollars, so sick of it!!! I don't get most of my local channels and in order to watch what I want I have to pay for a bunch of crap I don't watch! Most of their channels are infomercials!! This company does not care about their long time customers. All they care about is the $$$.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I originally got Dish 5 years ago and their leased equipment started failing. They said I needed to purchase Dish Protect to get no cost equipment exchanges or pay for new equipment. It's THEIR old equipment that I already pay a monthly lease fee! Cancelled service and they charged me an early termination fee and return equipment fee. Referred me to a contract I signed 22 months ago which I had a copy of. There is no language in the contract about termination fee or return equipment fee. I filed a complaint with the FCC.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

If you like getting SCREWED / **!!! without a kiss then DISH is the company for you, if not stay clear of ANYTHING DISH!!!! I've been with this cable TV company for more than ten years, and this year my bill went from $65.00 a month to $131.00. When I called to question why?? I was told because you're getting?!?! The representative found the only change in my contact is the AMOUNT???. I expressed to her my disappointment ???? and anger. ????

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

THEIR CONTRACTS ARE MEANINGLESS - it will not lock in prices! The contract does not serve any purpose - there are more economical options out there...do your research. They are not ethical - contract has too many loopholes. As a consumer, the main reason you enter a contract so that you know what price you will have for the period you LOCK your services in the Dish. BUT - they will RAISE your rates by as much as $20.00/month without any notice. And when you spend time with a representative on the phone, they will inform you that 'there are two parts to the contract' and nothing will protect you from service price increases. BUT YOU ARE STILL LOCKED IN>!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

DISH TV sells an inferior product. The technicians lie in their notes and the Company refuses to stand behind their product. Once they get you, you have to pay an expensive early termination penalty. It is worth the penalty to get away from them. Bad people working for a bad Company. Steer clear!

Not sure about DISH Network?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right satellite or cable TV provider for you.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team