DISH Network Reviews

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

DISH Network Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH Network?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

After years of being with this company my husband and I decided to cut the cord. We called to disconnect our service. We were given a bad time and argued with for an entire 45 minutes about leaving.....

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I moved and decided to try Dish because my previous cable company dropped a sports network (Altitude). I called Dish to find out if they carried a sports network that had Altitude. I was told yes they do have Altitude. I even asked again to verify and was told YES they carry Altitude (Lie #1). I signed up and of course when I looked thru the channels no Altitude. I called again and was told they don't have Altitude and are in contract negotiations but negotiations aren't going good. I asked why I was lied to when I signed up (Nov 2020) and was told that they probably had Altitude when I signed up but had probably dropped it within the week after I signed up (Lie #2).

I researched and found that they dropped Altitude in 2017. I called to cancel my subscription because I had been given misinformation when I signed up. I wont go into detail of the conversation. It wasn't pretty. The rep told me she would listen to the original conversation over the phone. She called me back a few days later and told me she had listened to the phone conversation and that Altitude was NEVER mentioned (Lie #3). So now I am stuck in a 2 year contract after only 2 weeks in. I realize I should have researched about Altitude before I signed up but it never crossed my mind that they would lie to me and then lie about their lies. Stay away from this pathetic company who will knowingly lie to you and stick you with a 2 year contract.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I’ve had Dish network for years. I’ve had numerous problems out of them. Every time I try to get out of the contract it was always some kind of something. Finally got out of it. Call them to pay my remaining balance to close my account back in August. I just received a collection where they say I still owe them money. This company is very very unorganized and the training is not there. I WOULDN'T Recommend dish network. Go back to black-and-white TV with rabbit ears on top.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

We have been loyal customers to Dish but when our roof started leaking and dish approved the repairs they decide a week later to say no. When doing my homework to find out they make you take them to court. Don’t believe them because yes really means no. Know we need to take them to court and we still have a horrible leak. Run fast from them. Go with Hulu live.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Before we moved, I called Dish to request the account be closed. They tried to get me to agree to have Dish TV at our new address. I finally got them to understand after twenty minutes of saying no. This was in June 2020. We paid the balance owed on August first. They keep calling to tell me I have a past due amount, even four months later! I keep calling them to tell them the account was closed just to be told their records don’t reflect it, then they ask for payment! I was told that the account was reopened! I told them I didn’t authorize that and to close it ASAP, which never happened. I’m still fighting them, I’m sure they will turn me into collections. Bottom line...DON’T get tangled up with this slipshod outfit.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

Only gave one star because I had to. They should put negative ratings on the star chart. I moved, told Dish I would no longer need them because new house has cable. After a long winded response from the rep, who obviously didn't understand what I was saying, or more likely didn’t care because another customer was cancelling, and dish will do any sort of devious act to keep a customer, I agreed to be placed on “pause”. I had a credit, so $5 bucks a month seemed ok, since I was in the process of moving and didn’t have an hour or three to argue with someone who had the intellectual capacity of a toddler. Sorry toddlers, no offense intended.

After nine months, I was informed via email that my account would be reactivated. I was again going round and round with a rep who only listened to respond, not understand my situation. It was at this point I was informed that while on pause, it doesn’t go toward the time you have had the account, so I was still locked in and would have to pay an early termination fee. So after thirty minutes of nonsense, I agreed to “pause “ for another three months. It seemed they wouldn’t consider a cancellation, or even a break on the fee, and I’ve been a customer for eight years! So fast forward, and now I am in the process of buying a house. I kinda forgot about dish, as I haven’t received any emails. Midway to closing, a collection agent calls me, with a balance owed to dish. So I pay it, because I don’t want anything to affect my purchase of a new home.

Dish Network is the worst. They swindled me into an upgrade once, saying I had to upgrade, my equipment before they could go forward with an internet package. I agree to upgrade, installer does his job, call back for the internet, and, "Oh sorry, we don’t provide that in your area. But thanks for locking in on another two years." If we normal people were to practice business this way, we’d be in jail. I will buy a DVD player and watch Sanford and Son reruns for the rest of my life before ever dealing with dish again. I take comfort in the fact that streaming apps and businesses are pushing these lowlifes out. And of course all the bad reviews will amount to nothing, because dish pads the pockets of whoever they need to so they can keep swindling and conning we the people out of money.

So I leave with this, why don’t the head honchos of this piss poor company at least try to acknowledge the unethical practices they perform, and respond to these reviews? What are they afraid of? Man up dish, your customers are trying to tell you something, and you lack the balls to respond, and all the money in the world will not buy you integrity, honesty, or courage.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Installation was by a third-party contractor. They left trash everywhere and left cables hanging out unsecured. Very unhappy. Then I received two different emails with free movie certificates. The emails say order blockbusters and new releases. No need to input certificate number, just order and it's that easy. NOT. It's false advertisement! When I was billed for the movies I called. I was told I needed to click on one of the dozen links in the email to learn that their new releases and blockbusters limit is $6.99. This company is shady, deceitful, and rude. Save yourself heartache. Don't purchase Dish.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I sold my home, so I called Dish on 10/14/20 to terminate services and arrange for the return of the equipment. I was told there would be an early termination fee of $280 and was asked if services could be transferred to my new residence, I told the Dish rep that was not possible. The rep said it was not necessary to close the account if the new homeowners would just transfer my account to them and assume the equipment and perks that came with my account after being with them for so long. I asked how that worked and was told that a notation would be made on my account that the new owners only needed to call Dish to assume my account/equipment.

The new owners contacted Dish to set up the account at their new residence in their name, which resulted in a Dish tech being dispatched to their home on 10/21/20. When the new owners told the tech that they just wanted to transfer my account to them and keep the existing equipment at their location, the tech called the Dish office and was told that was not possible. A new account was opened in the new owners' name and new equipment was installed. The old equipment was left at their home.

When I called Dish customer service on 10/21/20 just after the Dish Tech had left the new owners' home to try and remedy the situation, I was asked to conference the new owner on the call, which I did. The new owner told the Dish rep what happened and that they just wanted to transfer my account to them, but they were told that was not possible and they were required to open a new account and install new equipment. The Dish rep told her that she no longer needed to be on the call, so she hung up.

The Dish rep then told me there was nothing Dish could do since a new account was created and the I would be responsible for a $280 termination fee and for returning the old equipment. I asked to speak to a manager, but he told me that he could see the notation on my account, but they have no idea what the new owners told Dish, so there was nothing he could do. This is very wrong at many levels. I did everything the Dish rep told me to do on 10/14/20. But there was no accountability from Dish Network for what happened. None!! I will never do business with Dish...ever!!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Activated my service with Dish on top package with local channels. When tech installed my service I didn’t have ABC. Asked tech about it and he said it was currently blacked out. Why wasn’t I told this to start with? Called customer service back and asked why I wasn’t told about ABC channel being blacked out? I was told they were in contract negotiations and In the meantime I could download the ABC app to watch it live. Well not a perfect solution, but I was willing to try, although still not happy.

Download the app and followed the prompts to watch live TV. Tried multiple times before calling DISH back again. Spoke to 2 different people this time before I found out ABC is blacked out from watching it live in my area as well! What the heck? Seriously get your ** together! I should have been told this upfront and not 3 phone calls and several people later. Needless to say I’ve had dish for under a week and already not a happy customer! Great start DISH!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I am stuck in a contract or I would have already canceled. I always have to reset the receiver because it's frozen or giving error messages. I have no idea why it needs to update 3 times a day either. It won't let you watch live TV if more than 2 things are recording. It's been a series of hassles from the beginning. I'm just waiting out the contract.

DISH author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team