DISH Network
  • 1 star
Based on 488 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

DISH Network

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

5422 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Buyer beware. DISH is not living up to the promo they are offering for the holiday. They will cancel out order the day before and when you call back in the promo is over and will not honor it. I talked to 3 managers and none would honor it. They told me they have to run credit again and told me I had to pay for the Hopper 3 in which my promo was included for free. They are scamming people during the holidays. Do not fall for their holiday promo.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We Signed up a DISH Network almost a year ago. Everything was great good service until we had a charge on our account that we did not place. I call DISH Network to dispute the charge. Representative implied that PPV view events cannot be refunded because lots of customers take advantage By ordering pay per view and disputing the charges. They pretty much implied that I was a crook Even though that we paid every month for bill on time. Never ever had an issue with them before. When I told them happy for letters and you at the end and cancel my service they transferred me to a completely Different department. I knew representative by the name Irene Looked over my account and apologized for the previous representative's behavior and the supervisor's behavior told me that there will be a review and She will be more than happy to refund charges that we did not make. I honestly don't think I'll be continuing my service.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I've had Dish services for about 3 years. The connection would get interrupted with the slightest wind and rain. However I never really watched TV so I decided to cancel services. They charged me because I had went a week into my next billing cycle. This was Oct. 30. Then they said they would send a box for me to send my cable box & remote in but NEVER RECEIVED IT. I believe they never sent it so Friday Nov. 25 I call to say I didn't get it so they say since it's still in my 30 day limit to return it they will not charge me and start my 30 days over and send another box. Then I receive it Thursday November 30.

I send it Monday Dec. 4. I check my account and Dish has charged me $161.73!! I've called five times since Nov. 30 and each time someone has told me I won't be charged. Now I'm waiting for them to receive and process everything before I can get my money after another 72 hrs of processing... Dish are THIEVES AND ONLY TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR TO GET YOU OFF THE PHONE INSTEAD OF TELLING YOU THE TRUTH FROM THE BEGINNING. Just trying to make an extra buck.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I specifically asked about the channel cancellation of network channels used by Dish and was told they don't cancel network channels. I agreed to their adhesion contract. Service was spotty, constant breaking up into pixels, not recording on-time, ordinary programs in the last minutes. Calls to correct were only temporarily successful and then within 6 months they cancelled CBS and attempted to use consumers as leverage in their negotiations with CBS (over Thanksgiving to cause as much distress as possible). So when I called to cancel service for their breach of contract they charged me $540. I would never do business with Dish again and think you should be aware of how they take advantage of consumers to the consumer's detriment.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Company charged my account after assuring me they wouldn't tried charging my account again. 6 days after I cancelled scheduled installation. Poor customer service, refund takes up to 17 days but they can send you $100 gift card in less than a week. Reason for review is they have cost me to miss work and cost me money and I consider them to be thieves lacking honesty and integrity.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I have Dish Tv, I moved from Oregon and had it reconnected in Montana. After 2 months of arguing about my system finally a manager contacted me and gave me a new one. I purchase a Polk sound with the new installation through Dish. Paid Dish for the system. The Polk system now doesn't work (Remote) and Dish states I have to call another company. I have several time tries to call them, Try to go through 9 prompts and then they say, "Sorry. Closed." I paid Dish for the system and David a Dish rep said, "Nothing I can do. Call Polk." Sorry I paid Dish for the system!! You call. I paid you not POLK.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I canceled my DISH account after being a customer for several years, and closely followed their instructions for returning all equipment. Then I got a bill for nearly $250 for "unreturned equipment". I spent nearly an hour on the phone with one rep who said "you'll have to wait at least another 1-2 hours before I can get you an answer", so I hung up. Then called again and got another rep, told her what happened with the first call, and she immediately said "Oh, sorry, it looks like we did received the equipment" (I had proof via UPS tracking numbers). Then about 3 weeks later I get a bill that was the same amount as my former monthly subscription. Called to complain and the rep said, "Oh it's because you haven't returned your equipment." This is either a) horrible, incompetent customer service or b) fraud. Stay away from DISH.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I had a technician come out and install services for me today and once he was finished setting thing up I noticed that picture on my TV was fuzzy so I ask him why and he said that my TV??? are HD... And I said I know that what I ordered. Dish assured me it would be HD in all rooms and the technician explained that he installed old cable boxes that only supports 780 megapixels??? So I asked him to just cancel service and I'll go with another provider that provides better quality TV??? He told me it was too late and that I cannot cancel. I'm locked into the contract? Mind you I haven't even signed the contract and this was just installed... Dish told me I can pay an additional 150.00 on top of the 200.00 I had already given them to get a upgrade on the cable boxes... This was such a disappointment. I would never go with Dish Tv. Buyers beware.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I called the people at DISH TV looking to get a new service provider. I spoke at length with one of their representatives about the cost of the services I wanted. I was quoted $69.99. I repeatedly asked them about any additional fees. I was told there were no additional but would be $69.99 + tax for the first three months. Again I repeatedly asked if there were any additional fees and I was told no there are not.

When I received my first bill I was stunned to see that there is a $20 monthly fee for the appointment. Call them up and told him that I have been told there were no fees. They promised to listen to the recording and will get back to me. No one got back to me and when I called they said, "Oh we had listened to the recording and you were told of those fees."

When I asked to listen to the recording I was told I could have a copy when I got a subpoena. I said, "Don’t send me a copy. Let's just listen to it together on the phone." I was told we can’t do that. Then I said cancel the account and I was told there would be a $400 cancellation charge. I had similar experiences with ?Spectrum and I find that everyone in this industry seems to be lying through their teeth.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Dish Website promised a full year of HBO free, along with other offers. I confirmed this with their customer service rep, then signed up. Found the year was only 3 months and the offer had "expired" in October (I activated October 6). They said they would contact corporate to see if my HBO could be extended, but I hold little hope of this. Just another of many reported rip-offs.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I call DISH Network about 2 weeks ago about my bill after paying it because they disconnected my services. I showed them proof of receipt of payment where it was paid November 11th 2017 my services was turned back on. Then as of last night 11/27/2017 my services was turned off again. When I call them last night they told me that they did not get my October bill. I told them that I did pay my bill and that I just went through this a couple of days after I paid it. They went on to say that they did not receive my payment where it was paid. Then said that they took the money from my account then a couple days later my bank took the money back from them and charge them for it. My bank said they do not do that and that it was on DISH Network.

DISH Network begin to say again that my money was returned and which it was not. I have them called my bank several times about this matter. The bank again tells me that this is not on them that it is with DISH. I have been with you all for years now and I paid my bill every month. I have not had any problems with y'all until now. I am a loyal customer that is being treated unfairly.

I am very upset that you all have taking my money and have turned off my services and are repeatedly giving me the runaround about it. I am to the point to where I want to return my equipment and no longer have services with you. I work hard for my money to have it taken and to be treated this way. My two children could have used that money if I known it was going to be taken and my services be disconnected and I've been lied to over and over again.

When I have recordings to where I've recorded phone calls from DISH customer service telling me lies after lies I have a recording of my bank telling me that the money is not in my account and that they do not do a reversal of taking money back once a payment is being processed and taken. I would very much appreciate someone to call me on this matter and get this resolved as soon as possible. My number is **. In regards to this I will be calling corporate and the way I feel I will no longer refer anyone to you and I will also let them know how I was treated with DISH Network.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

So my wife and I were in the process of moving from New Mexico to Nebraska, but hit a snag in selling our home for now. So we dropped DirecTV and went to DISH when we found out we had to stay put for the time being. Took the Tech 6+ hours to get everything done and get the hopper and joey to sink. Mind you this was almost 3 months ago. Took me 8+ calls to tech to get someone out to look at the hopper, it got replaced fine. Works great now. Now I'm not stupid when it comes to what a receiver is and mind you this is an ongoing problem from day 1, the joey on at night, hopper off at night because I am a service connected disabled Vet and need the background noise to sleep. So the joey is freezing up on live TV and Netflix and they are telling me it is a software issue and they are working to fix it.

This has been the case now for 3 months. I tell them if this is the case why is it this does not happen with the hopper yet only the joey? Their reply is the joey has its own software, ok I buy that because it is a receiver yet it gets all of its information through the hopper, so 3 months now same problem and now when I try to watch Netflix on the joey I get error messages saying my network is not hooked up yet. I know it is and I have a strong signal. So I call tech again and they tell me there is a problem with an update Netflix did which is causing this error, yet I have no issues with the hopper watching Netflix only the joey. Why is it people don't get it I ask myself, this joey is bad, it took the original tech 6 hours to get it to synch with the bad hopper it was off for 5 days still no fix and to think I came back to DISH after 14+ years. I'm finding this might have been a big mistake.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

It is Thanksgiving, and I am not able to watch the Dallas Cowboys game because Dish Network has refused to realistically negotiate with CBS. While it is accurate that CBS can decide to pull programming from a provider, Dish Network is using the tactic to attempt to strong arm CBS into a poor position. I dislike that my family tradition was interrupted. I now HATE DISH NETWORK.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Initially when I started their services they overcharged me over $300 from what was originally in writing and I filed a complaint with the BBB which did resolve it after multiple phone calls and weeks of stressful communication with people who did not seem to know what they were doing. Now at termination because I moved out of their service area I was told to pay $72 and return the equipment and everything would be zeroed out because it was a bundle and the Internet service was not offered in my new residential area. After multiple phone calls after getting a bill for 461$ And trying to explain to the loyalty customer rep she would not hear that I had already been told the bill would be 0 x 2 different people and insisted that I pay $360 for cancellation fee of Dish Network which is available in the area which is the opposite of what I was told.

Again had to file with BBB to try to resolve this issue because they have now turned me into the collection agency. And my credit rating is 816 FICO score so needless to say I pay my bills on time. They have been the most unprofessional incompetent company I have ever dealt with and apparently incapable of emailing you a Summary of the case numbers and or conversation that has taken place so every time you call you have to start over. If I could write them less than a zero I would. Also the Dish Network service went out every time the wind blew or we had a storm.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Dear DISH customers, what sorry service they have, I just cancelled my account and told them to take autopay off, was told that the early termination fees of 200.00 and 24.00 to return two receivers would be automatically taken off my debit card, told customer service not to debit my card at least 3 times, stated I consented, was just laid off my job and have no money coming in, but yet they debited my checking account 250.66, I received an email stating would debit on 11/24/17, but came off on 11/20/17, have gotten all sorts of runaround and different stories, filed fraud charges with bank, spoke to legal and stated they would not reverse, filing complaint with FCC and will sue!!! BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have been using DISH for international channels - but I am watching more advertisement than real programs, it is really frustrating after paying this much of money. I suggest not to use this and find something better - in which we can enjoy real programs.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We have been a customer of DISH Network for 9 years. We pay a monthly equipment charge with the understanding that is the equipment has any issues, they will take care of it. We have been told that a $99 service call fee, shipping charges for returned equipment, will be assessed to our account. This is after we have been dealing with their Technical Dept for over two months trying to figure out what an error message is that stops our service from working. Terrible customer service!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

So my experience with DISH was OK during the time I had them. I never like dealing with these companies but hey if you want good TV what's the choices. So I am with them for the 2 year contract and at the end of the contract decided to go with cable since I already have phone and internet with Time Warner, Cable saved me 50.00 a month and no contract. These slugs now want money to return their equipment. First they hassle me once I tell them I want to terminate the service and now they charge me a fee to return their equipment. Folks don't give them your business. These people are low life scum.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I've been a Dish TV/Dish Net customer for a little over a month now and the first couple of weeks my internet worked perfectly. I've had to call numerous times over the last 2 weeks due to Dish Net connectivity issues which they told me to disconnect the power cable and reset the system. Dish has replaced my modem and I continued to have issues. After calling for the 5th time they agreed to send out a technician and the best they could do was send out a tech a week later! I then asked if this was a continued problem and there was no solution if my contract would be null and void, to which their response is I'm contracted for 24 months. I asked to speak to a manager twice on the last phone call and was ignored. DO NOT CHOOSE DISH TV. You will potentially have to pay for crappy service and even worse... SUBOPTIMAL CUSTOMER SERVICE. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I've been a Dish TV/Dishnet customer for a little over a month now and the first couple of weeks my internet worked perfectly. I've had to call numerous times over the last 2 weeks due to Dishnet connectivity issues which they told me to disconnect the power cable and reset the system. Dish has replaced my modem and I continued to have issues. After calling for the 5th time they agreed to send out a technician and the best they could do was send out a tech a week later! I then asked if this was a continued problem and there was no solution if my contract would be null and void, to which their response is I'm contracted for 24 months. I asked to speak to a manager twice on the last phone call and was ignored. DO NOT CHOOSE DISH TV. You will potentially have to pay for crappy service and even worse... SUBOPTIMAL CUSTOMER SERVICE. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

After more than a decade of being a Dish customer - I had to disconnect due to moving to a new location with another provider. Not only was it an extended hassle to disconnect, but they disconnected my service a week before I requested. With everyone cutting the cord, it's so sad that loyal customers are treated so poorly.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

When sales person tried to get your info and promised you all the good, at the end you declined the deals they should have no business to check credit report? Not on my case, I refused since the very beginning to go beyond few questions that I needed but sales person ignored my requested just kept trying instead. I found out later on that my credit report was inquired! My question was why? This is unacceptable practice, poor management, I will never again deal with such scams!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017
I have been with Dish for over two years. Nothing but bad service, lies, pushy salesman. I put the account on hold last November and they restarted service without my knowledge. They said I agreed to it. I never signed anything or ok over the phone. They have been constantly calling. Always at the worst time, at work, driving, shopping etc. They are wanting over $400.00 for services I did not get or even Ok. The equipment is still with the girlfriend in Oregon and I have moved to southern Nevada. We were going to put the service in her name when she was able to afford it. The Equipment has not been hooked up since last year.

Another worker told me it would only be $139.00 dollars and said to call when I decided to change things.

Well the next day calls started from them. No one there seems to know what the other workers have set up to work things out. After the calls started I decided to send their equipment back and pay the $139. Even though I feel I shouldn't have to pay that either. I had internet through them also and that was a nightmare also. It would take over 3 hours on the phone or more sometimes getting countless transfers to different departments just to pay the bill. My time is very valuable to me and they could have cared less. After I get all this taken care of I will never ever use their services. There is a lot more to the story that I will tell about later on how I was talked into putting service into my name from my Girlfriend's name. No good deed went unpunished with the whole ordeal.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My daughter called DISH network to sign up for their service. They told her they couldn't do it unless she had a credit or debit card. I okayed them to use my debit card, and was assured several times, that my card would not be used, just needed to be on file. My daughter missed a couple of payments on her account. It was discontinued, and bills were sent to her PO Box in my name, which were probably returned. They called her home phone number looking for me. After six or seven years of her paying the bill, with a card, they all of a sudden decided that I was responsible for the bill. I contacted the State Attorney General's office for Minnesota and filed a complaint, since they had turned me over to 2 different collection agencies. The collection agencies dropped the collection process, but not before the collection went on my credit report.

There has been no resolution with DISH network at this time, since they insist I owe the bill. The service was set up in Oklee, MN, with my daughter's phone number, po box and other information on the billing, until it came time to collect, then my name, with my daughter's po box and other information, became the billing and collection.

I am disabled, have tried numerous times to get them to contact my daughter at her home and speak to her or her husband and to have them send out a box to get their equipment back, to no avail. I get the nasty, "this will remain on her credit report until she pays the bill in full." I can't tell you how many times the collection agencies tried to call me, before 9 am most of the time and after 9 pm. Thanks to the harassment by the collection agencies and DISH's refusal to take it up with my daughter, my depression has become a concern to me.

My recommendation: Do not use this company at all. Their customer service reps will lie through their teeth to get you to sign up. You may give them information and be promised and told several times, it will never be used and will be on file only, and you will end up with a hell of a bill, no resolution to the problem and even with them getting contacted by the State Attorney General's office, they dig their heels in and say you are wrong and responsible for the bill. They do not go back and check who paid the bill for six or seven years before shutting off the service. They go by what they have, because there is no leg work or research to do that way.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

My ex husband had account with Dish and he had it turn off and I had let him use my debit card to pay his bill awhile back. Just a few days ago I go to bank to withdraw money off my card and they tell me Dish network took 248.00 off my card without my knowledge to pay a bill he owe. By all mean that theft. Stealing money from someone else is just not right. I don't even have hope account with Dish and I see why they are a ripoff. Hope everyone read this. DISH NETWORK IS A RIPOFF.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This service loses signals when it rains or snows or the tree is dew laden. When football and basketball are at their peak DISH loses signal for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Not able to watch the games or programs you want when the weather outside is bad is a big ripoff. Avoid signing Dish Network contracts because they will put your neck in a noose and only tighten it if you squawk. NOTE: IF you cancel because the signal is not reliable they still charge you 20 bucks per month for the remaining months as a separation RANSOM for them to go away!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Just so everyone knows, order you ppv movies online or with a representative if you have certificates. THEY DO NOT LET YOU KNOW THIS VERY CLEARLY. I am now paying 7$ for a movie I only ordered because I had these free certificates, well I ordered on the tv... So now I'm stuck paying for this movie. They said they will not cancel my order, will not refund me, will not do anything to fix this problem. I'm very disappointed in their poor customer service. And want everyone to know how to order these ppv certificates properly.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

They lied about their products. You do not get internet, only Dish TV. They take your debit card number, bill you for something you didn't get. I put a stop on my bank. They lied. I wanted internet. I took a screenshot of the living they are delivering. Shame on you. You do not deserve to be in business.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My first three weeks of having DISH I continuously had issues with it. I spent roughly 9 hours of my personal time on the phone with their customer support and finally they sent out a rep to look at my system. He stated the boxes weren’t set up properly and reinstalled them. I had no issues for a few months and then I got a bill for $113 instead of my normal $69.99. I called to see what the issue was and DISH stated that I didn’t call to cancel HBO, STARZ, Showtime, and Cinemax after my free trial, even though when I initially signed up for DISH, I told the representative that I didn’t watch or want any of those channels in my package.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I've had the service over 4 years - signed up under a contract for 24 months at 29.99/mo for 120 channels. My bill has more than doubled since, to $77/mo, while the actual content has diminished; we've lost channels including both network and local programming... This on top of the fact that we've NEVER had anything like a real 120 channels of content - my "channels" include the DISH Preview Channel, roughly 25 HD TV duplicate channels, about 15 home shopping and infomercial channels, and dozens of channels which stream different playlists of music (ie. 80s, 90s, classic rock, classical, jazz, etc) but don't have ANY video programming. In total there are less than 24 channels that I actually watch.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My boyfriend decided to go with DISH Network after he received a phone call from them with a deal. He gave all his information and then they needed $25 Deposit. So I told him he could use my debit card. I got a text about a $250 purchase on my card while on the phone with them. I asked her about it and she said no it’s $25. I said I have an alarm on my account. She hung up and they wouldn’t answer the phone. Now my credit report shows me owing them money??? This is insane.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs