DISH Network
1.69/5
Based on 444 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

DISH Network

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

5487 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Don't get Dish!!! Or their Sling TV service!!! The corporate office is a joke and you can't get in touch with them and they deny they own Sling. This company is dishonorable in that they do not provide you with the contractual service you signed up for (due to problems on their end), but they still charge you for the service. They underhanded in that they won't give you a refund for charging for the service you've requested but don't get due to malfunctions on their end. It is deceitful by trying to get you to buy more of their services by crediting you into additional months after your contract (instead of refunding you).

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

THE WORST... DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!! I was a customer for 8 years. Paid my bill on time. 6 years into my contract, I added internet. It DID NOT WORK. I called to complain several times. They ultimately admitted that their service in my area wasn't as good as they thought it would be. When I canceled, they charged me $184.00 for 'early cancellation fee'...I HAD BEEN WITH THEM FOR 8 YEARS!!! I ended up switching to Comcast, and their Xfinity system is WAAAY better, and their internet speeds blow Dish away! Don't say you weren't warned.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Called Dish Network to cancel the service. After a long time on the phone, finally connected to a person. Questions started - Why are you canceling it? Are you moving out? Are you selling the house? Can't you afford the service? Are you telling the truth? Have you audacity to lie to me? Is this how you treat me? You told earlier agent that you can't afford it and now you are telling me you are moving!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I was with Dish for nearly 3 years. Have not called to renew contracts, only change I made was packaging which was clearly stated that there is no new contracts with a change in package. I decide to change my service and Dish customer (not) support says I renewed price lock in August 2017 via automated messaging!? Now I am responsible for $198 early termination. Who the heck renews a contract with a machine?! Super unhappy right now.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I just moved from DirecTV to DISH with a 190 channel package deal for $59.95/mo. I watch Turner Classic Movies - TMC channel all the time. I didn't think that it wouldn't be included in this basic package. They never asked me what channels I watch, like they've done in the past when I've signed a 2yr contract. I had basic packages with DISH and DirecTV before and TMC was always included. So DISH put TMC on a more expensive package in order to charge more for the contract and for those of us who like TMC. They wanted $20 extra per month just so I could have TMC, but after haggling with them they reduced it to $10 per month or an extra $120 per year. I am not satisfied with DISH and will go back to DirecTV as soon as my contract expires. One last thing DISH did not post my order number for the 2 year contract. They did post an order for a 4K HDMI cable so I had to reference it the order number.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Canceled service with DISH Network on Jan.11th 2018. Paid ending bill and just received a brother bill. Called DISH. Was transferred to account representative (Jacob). Was told I never canceled on the 11th and I owed invoice, told him he was incorrect and he agreed. Why would I cancel with DISH, let him know I had sold home and no longer needed service. Still argued with me what I wouldn't continue at another date and just hold account open since I had been with them for twelve years. Explained to him that after listening to him argue with me for this long I'd never do business with DISH again. He then abruptly put me on hold and let me know I didn't owe anything and had a credit of $48.00. Found out from some different friends who also canceled with DISH Network, they had the same tactic done to them. BAD CUSTOMER RELATIONS! WON'T USE THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I have Dishnet internet service and have had Dish network as a TV and internet provider for 12 plus years. As of lately within the past 6 months my service has been terrible for download speed. I recently switched to a bigger better plan and still have found the service is terrible. Have had two techs come out and check equipment and everything checks ok. I have called DISH several times and always get the run around about it. Last time I called I told them I wasn't paying $80 a month for service that they can't provide. After numerous speed tests I receive between .55mbps and 2mbps depending on the time of day which is pathetic. I'm paying for a service that is supposed to be between 9mbps and 15mbps. As you can tell it's not even close to what it's supposed to be. This internet sucks and I would never tell anybody to get it.

Dish will not change anything to make it better and should be sued for not be able to provide a service they are selling. I am told it's too much traffic on the satellite and that may be but if Dish has too many customers on their service then they need to fix that problem. I also have noticed that my service drastically decreases when I try to stream video from devices which tells me Dish knows what I'm looking at on my internet and is filtering or blocking my ability to stream anything. Legally I'm sure Dish would not like for this to be known that it's happening and when I prove it is I'm sure my legal representation will notify Dish of their wrongdoing.

Dish needs to remember that customers don't need Dish network to make money but Dish network needs customers to make money. Dish if you don't fix my internet problems I'm cancelling my TV and internet after I prove you are filtering or blocking my service and I know you have the ability to give me whatever mbps service you want but choose to give me a slow connection speed due to the fact that you know I stream video and companies like Dish network and many other internet companies don't want streaming to be a thing of the future. So they try to choke out these free streaming websites so that they can sell their TV service and not lose customers. Dishnet you are fraudulent and counterfeit. My advice to people is never buy Dishnet service until they fix their issues with trying to serve 100,000 people on a satellite that is made to serve 10.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Dish's claim of no hidden costs is a lie - We had DISH for 2 yrs, when we moved out of state we notified them and they saw the abrupt non use of service. According to the phone rep I spoke to at that time, instead of paying early termination we could save money by going idle on the service until the end of the term which was October 2017. His words, not mine, so I agreed. We sent their electronics back in December, 2 months after the agreed 2 yr term. Now they keep harassing us for an early termination plus late fees that seem to change every time I speak to someone else. I've spoken to 3 different reps on the phone and none of them will listen. I refuse to pay for service I'm not getting and I didn't terminate early.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Every year for 6 years Dish Network put the receivers at my friend’s Airbnb on seasonal suspend for Jan, Feb and March. 14.95 per month per receiver. When the senior couple returned to reopen the Airbnb April 1st the account was once again charged per month per receiver. Hundreds of dollars per month in business to Dish. The receivers were rental units. This past December Dish agreed to same exact deal. Receivers would go into seasonal suspend. 14.95 per month. I spoke with Dish as well as the owners. Yep seasonal suspend, ok from manager. Nothing was said in ANY year including this one about returning receivers or being charged for them. Suddenly a bill arrives for $99 each receiver due to not being returned. Wtf one might say? So calls to Dish ensue. Dish shuts down entire systems with all receivers going inactive. Dish managers then lie to my face and say, “We never said this?” What I say. "Get out your recording."

They say, “Nope. We don't have.” Horse manure. They say they are recording calls. Then I bounce up to what is supposedly corporate. What a joke naming any of these people customer service. Manager says, “Well yeah. These receivers are so old, we really don’t want them back, we will waive the return fee but you cannot reactivate them come April 1st.” I say, “But this is not what either of us was told.” She says, “Tough. It is our policy.” I said, “Well you do not stand by what your employees tell your customers?” “Nope. Not our policy.” I say, “Look just send me an exact copy of our conversation so I can keep track.” “Nope. We never do that.” Ok. I get why now. They lie to your face, say they never said what they clearly agreed to, all so they can rip these senior citizens off.

I request to speak with upper level management because clearly Dish does not understand the ramifications of shafting people and lying to them repeatedly. “Nope. No management above me.” YEAH RIGHT. Way to go Dish. Greed rules the world now. Wonder which politicians they bought to allow them to shaft people. This is fraud btw. So if anyone wants to joint class action PM me. Any company where you cannot reach the upper levels of management has a lot to hide from customers. Management (meaning VP level and above) has zero intention of actually giving a damn about any of their customers.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I've been a customer for close to 20 years. Ran into a financial hardship. Ask them to lower my bill. They did not. As promised I canceled my service which I only had installed because I had to finish six months of a contract that I was in. But I was not informed that if I chose to cancel my service that returning their equipment would not be an option for me because they did not provide a return label for someone less than 2 hours away from me. So not only did they lose my business after almost 20 years and the bragging I have done on them because they could not adjust my rate to that of a new customer but I'm not going to go through this crap to try to return the equipment when they can't have a shipping option that is available to everyone.

My closest UPS station was 2 hours away to drop off. If they can't make things more convenient they shouldn't offer their service here. Just saying. I have paid out a lot of money to them over the last 20 years. I will not pay another dime. Even though I used to say I despise DirecTV because of their menus and all of this stuff well guess what. They now have an option through my Roku $35 a month for everything I watch through my internet service. No disconnect. No contract. No equipment to install or anything else. I don't have to return anything and I can have it when I want it and suspend it when I don't. Write online. So there you go. Make it easy on yourself folks.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have had Dish for 7 years now. I have contacted them and recorded each call as well as pull all emails from the last two years where they have charged me double and for equipment returned to them on May 17, 2016. Today I called to cancel and have been told to pay outlandish termination fees and again trying to charge me for a Joey that we have email confirmation they received May 17, 2016 from their technician. I have not signed ANY agreements with them since September 2015, of which ran out September 2017. I have now been on the phone trying to get this canceled for 1 hour and 14minutes and keep being passed around and put on hold. The last gentleman proceeded to argue with me as to why I should not cancel with what great savings they will give me and I'm not a "smart woman".

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I called Dish Network customer service to have the Dish Network service disconnected (2/1/18), customer service rep spent 1/2 hour trying to talk me out of this placing me on hold 3 separate times. Received box to return Dish equipment on 2/7/18. The note received from Dish was to return equipment including LBFN which is located on the dish and on the roof. Again I called customer service and informed the customer service rep of this. I requested that a service installer be sent to my home to uninstall the unit. Dish wants a service fee to uninstall equipment they were more than happy to install for free. Do not subscribe to Dish Network, I have had Dish Network service for eleven years, to disconnect service has been nothing but a fight with customer service and the account rep.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I got Dish Network in June 2016. I never signed any contract so I thought. I got Dish through an Infinity agency who promised me that I was never signing a contract. Within 5 months in between my price begins to changed without warning. Dish Network boldly went into my account to withdrawing money monthly from the account I used with Affinity, while I am mailing in my monthly bills to them. When I called them and demanded explanation, they never assume responsibility for stealing and that was when I learned that I have a contract with them through Affinity.

On 2/6/18, I received an email about a $5 increase in my account. I asked them why I am getting the increase. The guy called Brain said "It is for program increase". I asked which program? He said the "local channels". I have the basic channels from Dish. IT IS ONLY LOCAL CHANNELS. I told him I don't have $5 to pay, he said "I will take out your local channels and your bills will be $56.73.00." If he take out the only channels I am paying for what is the $56.73 for? I asked. He also wants me to acknowledge that he took them out but refuse to send me an email confirming our conversation. Why is Dish Network getting away with stealing from people. This is a crime. This company needs to be investigated and be shut down!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

When initially ordering DISH, did not receive correct channels we were told. Then told they weren't in our package. No copy of contract or agreement. Called multiple times on no service and constant interruptions. Over the next few months 3 different Dish receivers sent to house and two techs out to house besides initial install. Dish receiver keeps shutting down and rebooting. Called Dish to inquire about cancelling due to poor service. Cust service rude. Never told them to cancel or authorized a cancellation fee. Yet they took it upon themselves turn off service. So we canceled our payment card and will never do business with them again.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

6 months ago our bank account was frozen for suspicious activity, so I called all of my creditors and explained their payments would be late. The DISH rep said, "No problem. I will put a note on your account." Next thing I knew my service was disconnected for nonpayment. Well I still could not access my accounts so my son in law paid the full amount and it was turned back on. When the new bill came there was a charge for almost $200 on it, when I called Dish again I was informed it was a reconnect fee and due to human error it would be taken off. Never happened. I had also spent over 3 hours setting up a new service contract that would lower my bill to 1/2 of the $150 I was paying, guess what, it never happened. Don't bother to sign up for Dish Network. They only want more money and don't care about customer service. I will be looking for a different TV service.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I believe that when you sign a 2 yr contract for Dish service, you are obligated to pay the agreed upon price for service on time. That being said, they are obligated to provide that service and all channels agreed upon, throughout the 2 yr contract, whether or not they are going through Contract Negotiations. When they cut off Fox News to their customers due to a contract feud when I was under contract, I felt they broke their contract with me. Now they spring this five dollar increase a month, and once again they blame it on their contract negotiation increases. This right after their tax rate went from 35% to 21%. I'm a free market conservative. But this is bad business, shady contracts, and bad customer service.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I am beyond tired of the ** partial monopoly satellite tv providers have over "public television" programming! We paid for the NHL package as an addition to our already excessive and expensive programming from Wish Nutwork (their new name, amongst other derogatory ones I have for them), and recently have had nothing but problems from the antiquated equipment they've had us using. When we call, we get to enjoy 30-120 minutes of our lives being stolen from us, only to get to the part they should've figured out in 5 minutes, that they need to send a tech out. This last visit from a tech after one of our Joeys went south got us a replacement Joey, mind you we have 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys in our system, all of the same generation (old). The next day our #2 Hopper basically goes out, we get to reset power between 3 and 10 times to maybe get it to work, for a bit.

So we call (79 total minutes of life vanishing before us), to get a tech out-who could've guessed-and while doing so, they finally offer to upgrade our equipment, something that should've been done when it became available-do you people even know what marketing is!? So I get home from work, and no shock, my NHL package is gone! Are you effing kidding me?! So, who can guess the next part, we call, as 97 minutes grinds off the back end of life. The CSR, and I use the acronym very loosely, decides after going through his arduous protocol to argue with us that we ever even had the NHL package. Seriously?!?! Eventually he finds it, no **, and informs us he can't turn it back on until our equipment is replaced, and there's nothing else he can do. Here's a suggestion, close your doors and NEVER EVER think about trying to operate a business again! You are horrible!

If anyone else operated a business in the manner you do, they would close within days of startup. I don't expect anything will ever happen, nor will anything improve, nor will we be given any courtesy for any of the crap that has transpired. And yes, in the big picture (no pun intended) we all have much greater problems than the immense frustration and anger generated by such a worthless company. But some days you come home from an already frustrating day at work and expect that the things you spend your hard earned money on earned at work to actually do what they are supposed to do.

Apparently Wish Nutwork didn't get the memo. And to be clear, if rating sites would provide us the opportunity to give honest feedback entirely, they would add the zero star option for us to give certain reviews what they truly deserve. ZERO STARS for you, Wish Nutwork! Somebody please start a satellite network that actually cares about their customers and the service they provide!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Dish Network is such a rip off. Never have them come out to service your equipment because they will put you in another 2 year contract with this scumbag business. Don't ever trust anything they say. This company does not hold up their end of the contract but say you have to. I have never received the full service I was promised.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I never got any of my free gifts. The channel selection sucks unless you're twelve. I only get about 20 channels for $70.00 monthly. Two years is a long time to pay for something I don't watch. My choices are to either pay them $1,680 in $70 installments or about $350 in fines. Unless you like my choices stay away from DISH!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I tried to estimate what the cost of Dish would be as a new customer. I could not get the actual price without giving them all my information for them to do a credit check. What a piece of malarkey. I just wanted to know the monthly price difference between a Duo Hopper and a much extensive Hopper 3. After several chat sessions, I was told anywhere between $0.00 and $350 Monthly. Nice way to lose me as a customer. I could only view this as blatant dishonesty. Good going Dish. Now I will always view you as dishonest.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Have 3 tv's and can't watch any of them. The picture and audio keep going out on all 3 tv's. Called Dish and they want to charge me $95 dollars to come out. Not happening. If it was a problem that I caused I would gladly pay for it to be fixed, but it is a problem with their network, so am not paying. Will cancel my Dish when it gets down to $200 as I have 16 more months of this crap. They told me if I cancelled now that I would have to pay $325, that's not happening either. Do not sign up with Dish Network.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Since the fatal software update by DISH in early 2017, its services sunk to a new low. I am joining millions of customers, who curse DISH on a daily basis. My most recent experience (today) was finally calling DISH about inability to access Internet or stream movies on demand over the last 5 days. It just happens that today, unlike the last 5 days when I simply did not have two hours to waste on DISH Customer Disservice, suddenly everything works. The CSR refused to issue a refund for the five days that I could not use their services while paying for it. Instead she offered to connect me to an account rep, which is really an account rip-off, whose only intent is to upsell you instead of offering any refunds, and claiming that allegedly that new set up will resolve my problems. I am not dumb, I did my online research, and even their new, more expensive setup is not working with this awful software update.

She also told me I should have called them when I have experienced these problems. At 4 AM, when I suffer from insomnia and the last thing I need is to be aggravated by their incompetent Customer disservice?! I am finally done. DISH used to be a good company, but they got cocky, and I hope they die soon as there are plenty of extremely unhappy customers leaving them as I type this. I am joining the mass exodus, and advise everyone to dump this horrible greedy company that cares nothing about their customers, forgetting that we are the ones paying their salaries and exuberant executive packages. Let's cut them greedy executives at their knees, and send them to unemployment lines. They are the ones that make decisions to screw the customers, they deserve our wrath!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I was notified by email that DISH NETWORK are raising their prices by $5.00 a month. I am still under a 2 year contract. This is a breach of contract on DISH NETWORK! If I choose to breach my contract with DISH NETWORK I have to pay the remaining months left in my contract with them! This is not fair to the consumers that use DISH NETWORK as their cable provider! Something needs to be done!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I moved so I had to cancel my service after being a faithful customer for four years. I have a credit on my account which they say they are not required to give me back. Then they charged me $16 so I can return my equipment to them and have to return it to them within a certain time period or I'm fined more money! This has been over a week and I still haven't received my box to return it! Took my money out of my account right away though! This company is scam artist and I can't believe they are still allowed to be doing business! Please don't ever go with Dish Network, you will regret it!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Dish is unable to provide 100% service that is expected... Too many problems with signal and customer service is the worst... will recommend to all to go with somebody else other than Dish... they make it sound very good but is not. Now they are advertising with the Latinos because they can get nobody else.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with Dish Network. When we signed up a little over a year ago, we were promised the best of everything, the latest channels, best hardware and software, come to find out over a year later we were given the most bottom line hopper or DVR, it has extremely slow service because of how outdated it is. Dish Network refuses to fix their mistake so now they want to charge me and my family 350.00 to upgrade our service. The technician that came to our home today even stated off the record of course he thinks it is b.s. we were given the equipment we got being such new customers.

Our DVR was supposed to offer everything a Smart TV would that is what we were told it would also play Netflix, guess what out of the 3 DVRs Dish has to offer ours is the only one that is not compatible with Netflix. I only found this out recently because my family now has internet so I tried to hook up the Netflix that Dish said would play through our hopper and guess what it won't work. But that is my fault for not checking Dish Network's promises to make sure they were true. We pay 164.00 a month to have service through them and they can't even give me their basic promises.

I have never been so disappointed in a service before. My TV is currently black because my outdated DVR is not working tonight. There is nothing they can do. I can't get out of my contract early unless I pay almost 500.00 to terminate it before the time is up. I would never recommend this company to anyone and if you do end up going through them make sure any and everything they promise you have in writing so they can screw you in the ** later with no lube.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Trying to cancel my mother's Dish TV once she was unconscious on her deathbed was impossible. Over the course of two months, six phone calls from me to Dish as well as a letter both from hospice and her doctor to Dish and they still wouldn't stop charging her. Even upon her death, with proof of her death certificate, they still continued charging her account. Unbelievable. DO NOT ENTER A CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

After software "upgrade" DVR became very slow and unreliable. Menu selection response inconsistent and extremely slow, almost like browsing the Internet with a dial-up connection. Dish says they can't help and that it's because of where we live. But, this problem arose AFTER a software upgrade.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I ordered and received Dish TV service in January 2017. After 8 or 9 months I noticed that one of the receivers was rebooting very often. I called Dish and explained the situation, went through various troubleshooting steps over a period of days, until finally a customer service representative agreed that a replacement was needed. The replacement box came and worked well for a few weeks.and then the rebooting issue started happening again. I again called the customer service number and reviewed what had been done before. This technician said the earlier representative should not have sent me out a replacement as the software wasn't updating as it should. He went on to explain that my house may have older RJ59 wire and the standard is RJ6 and this required a technician visit. He also implied that the software version in the receiver was faulty and that could be causing the issue as it couldn't be updated.

While I knew there was a new single line from the Dish to the working TV, I wasn't sure about the other line to the second non working receiver. The technician explained that the service charge is $95, or if I would subscribe to their insurance of $8.95 a month, it would be covered. I disagree with his proposal and I was transferred to another representative. Basically I was told that I have two options; pay the $95 for a service charge or purchase the service contract. I explained that there is a third option, that being I ship all the equipment back to you and we part ways. At this point she starts reading out a long list of charges I will be incurring totaling in excess of $300.00. In the end I decided that I will return the non working Wally Receiver to them and honor the contract till the end of the term.

After the call I decided to take a look at the installation wiring and this is where I determine that the original installers did not run a full line to the tv where I am having the rebooting issues. Instead, he spliced in the line about halfway between the dish and the TV, instead of replacing the whole line. I believe this is the cause of my problems. It was a bad installation and now I am being asked to pay for the corrections. On the subject of rebates and promotions, I have noted others reporting problems getting their debit cards and promotions. I too had to fight for $50 that was promised to me. After a few months I was finally able to get the money owed me. Additionally I was promised a full year of HBO service.

After six months the service was terminated and I had to fight to get it reinstated. They reinstated it for 3 months and though I said it should be for 6 months and 3 months are still owed me. It looks like I will be making some more calls to get my remaining 3 months of HBO service. To summarize I do not recommend Dish to anyone. They are deceitful and cannot be trusted.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Don’t ever go to DISH for service. They don’t care about their customers satisfaction. They tell you that a tech will be there to help or be by to uninstall your satellite and boxes but never send them. They tell you they will put your services on pause during the move but never do so and then charge you for the time instead of admitting their mess up. They state they log all of your calls but then once you have a problem they tell you no log was recorded and try to make you look like an idiot. They mess up and you pay for their mistakes. I will NEVER say a good thing about DISH services again and I will NEVER recommend them to anyone again. Thanks again for the terrible service.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.dish.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use