DISH Network
3.22/5
Based on 2,194 ratings submitted in the last year

DISH Network Reviews

6111 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have to say after reading so many bad reviews on here I was really hesitant to have Dish installed at my home, but I decided to go ahead and sign up for service and make the switch from cable and I am very glad I did. I have 1 hopper 3 and 2 joey 3.0s installed in my home and they work extremely well with no issues. The technician arrived promptly on time right at the beginning of my appointment and he did an excellent job on the installation. He was highly experienced. Not to mention he did the install on a very cold day, about zero degrees outside with 30 mph winds. I did not want the Dish mounted on my brand new roof and he was able to accommodate my request. He was able to install on a pole in my yard with clear line of sight and strong signal. He was also able to connect to the existing coax ports in my house which was awesome.

Overall the Hopper 3 and Joey receivers are great with excellent picture quality. Since the install, we've had heavy snowstorms and ice storms and very high 40 mph wind gusts in Michigan (here the weather is terrible 90 percent of the time) and have not had any issues with my picture. The service hasn't even blinked one second and my TVs run 24/7 in my home. The technician really made sure I had great signal, and I guess it also helps that I do not have many tall trees in my yard. I was really reluctant to get Dish after reading about the many problems people have the signal, but I've had none and customer service was great as well.

I made the switch from AT&T U-verse and I'm glad I did. The U-verse TV would go out frequently on a weekly basis for me. I could have gone with Comcast or WOW for cable, but I've had them both before in the past and both were bad experiences for me. The only one I've never had until now was DISH and so far it's the best experience I've had so far and they have the best technology in my honest opinion compared to what I've had so far. Honestly before I made the switch, I thought I would be taking a step backwards switching from cable to satellite but that is not the case as service is very reliable. I am just an honest customer. I am not paid for this review. I had many bad experiences with AT&T, Comcast, and WOW. I've had them all and neither were good.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Would love to just have channels I want without having to pay for packages and foreign language channels. It is pretty bad when we have to pay Dish to watch tv and Comcast for internet cause we can't bundle so my cost is well over 200.00 a month and I have to pay for 2 packs to get 1 channel on each. And now we don't get HBO my main channel we watched. If not by April I will change co. I don't want to miss GOT or continue missing John Oliver and Bill Mahr. Very disturbed about having to pay, my other option is go cableless and check out movies in library.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Dish has kept its prices stable and has great follow up on customer questions. They also stand up to the network’s demand for higher costs. The signal is rarely interrupted in my experience and the picture quality is great. I'm not happy with ESPN forcing you to buy their package to watch most of the football bowl games. What happened to competition?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Dish. They offer good deals, from time to time you have a few days in which you have access to subscription channels for free. The bill does not go up like it used to do with Time Warner Cable. If you ever have a problem, they fix it fast and efficiently. Customer care is excellent. If I go on vacation, I get to put it on hold easily. I have had Dish for 5 years and love them!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have no issues with service but I have price lock and service has never changed. My monthly billing varies by $5, $10, $15, and amounts in between every month... It makes no sense and I have to keep a total going to make sure the end amount isn't more than it should be. Nobody cares about a dollar or 2 from taxes or month length but this makes no sense to me and is the reason for 4 stars. Anyone know why this is done? My credit card company has contacted me about this because of fraud protections which is inconvenient.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: May 17, 2019

I urge you to read the reviews on Dish before committing. Picture quality is extremely poor compared to the incredibly expensive DTV. I made the switch to save a few bucks but now regret it. Dish is not worth it. Essentially rendered all of my televisions picture quality to the 80s. Blurry, lack of color, weird "artifacts". There is no detail on people's faces. Looks like half the color is missing. (On all sets). Tried adjusting TV settings like more contrast, increased sharpness and the usual adjustments with no satisfaction. I discovered that Dish compresses the formatting to save on bandwidth so no amount of adjusting the TV settings or satellite fine tuning is going to make up for data that is not there! Very dissatisfied customer with no recourse other than to put up with this for 2 years or pay $480 and go back to DTV. Costly lesson for not doing my due diligence ahead of time! I urge everyone reading this to do your research before committing to Dish.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Be warned when you cancel along with sending the hoppers and joeys back something from the dish is required too. It is up to Dish's discretion if it it safe or not to climb on the roof and retrieve it. If not returned you’re on the hook for $398. Thankfully I’m able to get it but for those who are older it could be a big problem. Also be warned about them trying to sneak in charges. I returned everything but was still sent an email saying I would be charged. When I called to question this I was told “it was a mistake that they had missed.” I’m willing to bet if I hadn’t called they never would’ve found their “mistake”. Dish was my only option for 5 years. Thankfully another option is now available and so much cheaper with unlimited fast internet. I will never have Dish services again.

Original review: May 15, 2019

$25 from Dish Network was taken out of my Billpay online without my knowledge. I do not have Dish! After many calls to Dish they say they have no record of it. I had my bank investigate and wanted to fax the information to Dish and they did not want it. They said they can not do anything about it. You would think they would want to know who is using their name to make fraudulent withdrawals!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been with Dish Network for two months. I had to have a tech to my house three times. I had to return a hopper and get a new one. Since I don't have internet I'm not able to rent movies unless I call wait on the phone then get to watch the movie I want to see and I'm not able to use the voice command on the remote. So now I'm stuck in a two year plan and I don't want to be in I should have read the reviews first before signing up with DISH NETWORK because if i cancel they will charge me 400 dollars because I am not satisfied with this service. For anyone thinking of getting DISH NETWORK DON'T DO IT. Because if you don't like the service you will be held HOSTAGE FOR 2 YEARS.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Every 20 minutes or so while watching a good tv show Wally the Dish box shuts down. It reboots or freezes up. It's continuous and very displeasing. We pay for 2 boxes and the one in the bedroom doesn't get used much but if it's not used every 30 days I have to call and re activate it which is a pain and it shouldn't have to be done. Once it's activated it shouldn't have to be done when not in use for a while. Now I have decided to. I also was displeased when certain channels were taken off after I have paid for them. So I'm gonna switch back to local cable now.

When they came to hook me up the tech told me that when Dish techs came and hooked me up they cut my old cable going to the pole. Now I have to have cable. Re come back out to install new lines which of course will cost me money. And it shouldn't. I can tolerate during bad weather the satellite dish going out for a while but all the time really sucks and I hate paying such high prices to have such bad service and being disgusted more than happy with Dish service.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I started a DISH contract for $30 under promotion and a month later it went up. A few months later I was paying $35. I had called and I was told I could lower my bill $10 of I removed the dish protection. So I did and my bill went down to $20 but one month later I was back at $30. I called and I was told the pricing changed and I had to deal with it. In other words, if you are planning to get Dish, make sure you understand they can raise your bill to $100 and you can’t complain at all. If you were to cancel, like I did, you will be paying the current amount penalty, whatever it is at the time.

Also, make sure you understand you are responsible to fix the damages where the dish was installed and to remove it. I would recommend installing it over a flat portion of the wall because on the roof you would have leaks. Overall, very disappointed with DISH. I feel like they are dishonest and once you get into that contract, you are pretty much at their mercy. I would never get DISH again, I think other tv providers are better and more loyal to customers.

Original review: May 11, 2019

We received a flyer with a pretty good deal, so I called. Partway through the call it became clear that it was not as good as it appeared, so I said I wanted to wait and talk with my family. We were charged anyway for service we did not receive. When I called Dish about the charges, they said it wasn't them; it was their "retail partners" but they "couldn't" help figure out who that company is (a company that called itself Dish Network, so you don't know it's not the actual company), so I don't even know who to contact to get my money back. Dish, you can blame your business partners for ripping off your customers all you want, but if you are willing to continue to do business with them you are just as guilty.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I wanted television service for a summer cottage that I could cancel and restart when I wanted it, so I purchased (not rented) the receiver and dish from Dish TV. I selected the pay-as-you-go plan because this is how Dish represents the plan on their website, "Month to month TV packages let you turn service on and off, easy as a TV." However, you cannot pause the service and Dish will bill you every month. You have to keep the account current in order to have service. So if we don't use the cottage and don’t use TV in January, then we still have to pay Dish TV for the entire month of January in order to have the service turned back on.

In addition, I received collection calls from Dish TV when I didn’t pay for a month of service. But I never agreed to continuously make payments and thought I signed up for a pre-paid plan. Finally, even though I paid to purchase all of my equipment, Dish TV still charged me a $7 monthly equipment fee. Customer service said the charge was a rental fee and told me that I was not really the owner of the equipment - even though I paid the full price to purchase the equipment. Stay away from Dish TV.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Dish charged a $100 fee in lieu of credit on 1st bill. The website said nothing about it.. We got a pre approval code in mail and used it. It’s for $300 Master Card rebate. The operator said I got charged $100 because they didn’t check my credit.. But they never asked to check my credit on the website. Also the installer was late.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Installer at last minute rescheduled my installation. He did a poor job!! Used a rotten board on a porch I'd planned to replace to mount Dish. He didn't connect to my high speed internet so the voice feature doesn't work. Customer service fails to correct many issues I was left to tolerate. I'm 6 months into my 2 year contract so I'm stuck with this horrible service. The day my contract expires I'll go back to DirecTV that has superior customer service and wider channel selection. I went to Dish because I was promised upgraded equipment, disappointing lie!!

Original review: May 4, 2019

After 2 long years I canceled my contract. The very day it was turned off I paid $56.45 not realizing when you sign up you pay a month in advance. Anyhow I noticed the other day there was a credit of $2.89 in my checking acc't from dish. When I checked my account online it said -$37.79. I called and after 30 minutes waiting finally talked to someone. They said I don't owe anything and that the $37.79 was theirs for a non refundable programming fee. He couldn't tell me exactly what that meant so I said that was a bunch of bull since it wasn't an early cancelation. Sure glad I kept the receipt with shipping and delivery date of their precious things they want back so they can't say they didn't get them and charge for that too! Avoid dish at all costs.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I was a 20 year Dish TV user. I paid one of the highest rates. They suck. Wind or rain - no TV. They changed the receivers twice in 20 years. I paid a fortune for them. I was disgusted over the HBO situation. I signed up with Xfinity. From when they first hooked it up - amazing. 60% of the cost. My TV looks like it is brand new. I was conned. They spend more time trying to keep you when you leave than when you are there. They give brand new customers a much better deal. No reward for loyalty. Marginal customer service. The best at excuses. Don't be a fool like me. ANYONE BUT DISH. THEY ARE THE WORST OPTION OUT THERE.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Dish has made numerous promises that they don't refill unless I call and go through exasperating time consuming calls with their rude customer service reps. If I want results I have to wait while being transferred many times and waste time on hold to get get a reasonable rep that understands the issue. They have had to listen to recorded conversations to make sure I'm telling the truth before they can treat me as a loyal customer. The final straw was when my husband rented two movies in which one wasn't available after he paid for it and the other was half over. He called for a credit or asked only to be able to watch what he paid for and the rep left him totally exasperated refusing to accommodate him.

The conversation ended with his blood pressure sky high and the rep refusing to be quiet and let him speak so he hung up. I called back and got the correct person who was very apologetic and gave him certificates so he could watch what he paid for. Within a few minutes of receiving the certificates he tried to watch the movie. We had no service. I was told 10 minutes after they shut it off that we would have to do a new contract to turn it back on and pay more than we were. I refused the offer and the rep said to keep the equipment. Now we receive calls from Dish wanting to discuss our dispute over cancelling our contract. I found there are many alternatives to Dish without having to deal with unreasonable painful customer service reps.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I called to cancel my service and spent 25 mins on the phone with TY who would not listen to me nor allow me to cancel my service. It was by far the worse experience I've ever dealt with. I had to just hang up as the conversation was going nowhere. I asked politely to just give me a confirmation number and confirm my service would end on May 18th and he refused to do it. I even explained my intentions when he answered - he kept prying into personal questions... As everyone watches TV. I've had to ask my husband to call back - it's completely ruined my day and I hope that his supervisor listens to our recorded call. Only I fear he will get a pat on the back because he didn't cancel my service. #completelyexhausted

Original review: May 1, 2019

I called Dish Network April 29, 2019 to get a price on their full package bundle with TV, internet, and phone. I spoke to their rep a long time, he asked me all kind of questions to allow me to get the best possible price. He finally gave me quotes (bottom lines) of $75.03 for the TV (DISH primary satellite television provider) and $29.95 for internet and telephone (their partners) totaling $104.98. I then asked him to send me an email with all the infos we talked about and prices, in order to show to my husband before making a final decision. He said: "I will send it to you right away, take your time because those prices are valid until May 28, 2019."

Later on that day I received an email titled “Your DISH Order and Other Important Information (including Dish agreements)”. What! I have never agreed to anything yet!!! I was shocked to see this order showing an appointment date of May 28, 2019, time of the technician arrival and showing a total fee of $96.77 instead of $75.03 for the TV only! Two lies!! I was furious!

I called the DISH Loyalty Department to complain and asked them to listen to my recorded conversation with the rep but was told that DISH records current customers only (that doesn't sound right to me!). They tried their best to re-negotiate via their supervisor to the original price for the TV only and that was acceptable. Then, they switch me to DISH Sales department regarding Internet & telephone since they are provided by their partners. The rep said the cost would be $39.95 vs the $29.95 price quoted originally. I called the partner “Wave” to find out that the amount for Internet and phone services would be $73 vs the original $29.95! Are you kidding me, another lie! We cancelled the order. DISH lying to their customer about prices is a very bad business practice! I wasted most of my day with them, disgusted, never again!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I would give them a zero (0) rating if I could. I made the mistake of having Dish installed on the 9th April and have nothing but trouble and headaches since then. The keep pixelating and I get a bright yellow screen every so often. I call and they see nothing wrong after checking the system. To solve their problem with nothing I started sending picture of what was happening. They came out a played with things for a while told me it was fixed and 2 hours later the picture was pixelating and the yellow screen pops up. Set another appt. and Dish changed the time even after telling them time restraints would not allow.

Original review: April 30, 2019

After install, DISH charges $95 plus an additional $50 to send a tech out. Yes. Their customers PAY the tech fees for the company. I had a main receiver and a Joey. I canceled the Joey because I rarely was home to watch TV. So I had the main receiver in the Living Room. I decided to move my living room TV to my bedroom (I already had the hook up there where the old Joey was). It didn't work. A tech had to come out and do 5 minutes worth of work on the satellite and charge me $145. I complained. They don't care. They argue back with me on the phone. Horrible horrible company.

Original review: April 29, 2019

So I called Dish yesterday to pay my bill which was 125.00. I always pay with my card. I only had 121.00 on my card so I asked the lady where in town I could go to pay the rest in cash. She told me no need for that some of the balance and as long as I paid the rest by the 14th my service would not be interrupted. I said, "Ok I will pay the 120 then." She said, "You could just pay half and as long as you pay the rest by the 14th you will be fine." I said, "Ok I'll pay 70.00." She took my payment and I asked her again and she reassured me that my cable would not be interrupted as long as the rest of the amount was paid by the 14th.

I woke up this morning and my cable was off. I called and talked to a guy and told him the situation and he said, "Well I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but we cannot turn your cable back on until you pay the 55.00." I asked him if I could talk to someone higher up than him because this falls back on them not me and he said no I could not talk to anyone else. He had done all he could and he was going to end the call now. Wow! Total ignorance. I would not recommend Dish to anyone!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I signed up for Dish one year ago. They automatically set you up with 6 months of their Silver protection plan but after that it is an extra $9.99 per month. I called customer support shortly after getting the account setup and asked them to remove the protection plan. The rep said they would set it up so it would automatically drop off once the 6 months was up. The payments are set up for auto draft so I didn’t notice I was being charge that extra $9.99 per month until today. I called customer service and explained that I previously called and asked for the protection plan to be removed almost a year ago. This rep now says they do not have a way to schedule that removal but they could remove it from this point forward. This is part of their scam. They hope you will not notice it so they can continue charging you for something you don’t want.

Original review: April 28, 2019

We scheduled an appointment on a Sunday for install, my husband's only day off for quite a while. Suppose to be a noon to 5pm appointment. We got called around 1:40pm to cancel appointment. Supposedly the tech called in sick. If he just wanted the day off then that's so irresponsible of him. Messed up our day. Then, we try to call to see if they have a backup. Nobody at all. Also very poor customer service. We had to reschedule for a time when my husband won't be here. I wanted us both to be here to learn the new system. They say the person whose name the account is under is suppose to be home for the appointment. He won't be here, however, they said the tech could still install. I've been reading quite a few bad reviews. Might not go with DISH. Might stay with DirecTV. DISH not getting off to a great start with us, that's for sure.

Original review: April 26, 2019

We were with Dish for almost 15 years. Price increases and watching less brought us to the conclusion it was time to shut it down. My wife called and asked to cancel. After almost an hour of arguing with the Customer CARE person, she was essentially bullied into putting it on hold as "we would certainly come back." She was sick of arguing, so said fine. What they DIDN'T tell us was they were going to bill us $5 a month for our 15 year old receiver for rental as we were not active. Come January (3 months later) we got a bill for $15. My wife called them, asking to cancel again and paid the $15.

April rolls around, they have "cancelled us for non payment" and want us to pay another $25 to close the account. We talked to two people, got one guy that was very polite and said he would send out return boxes right away, and the final charge would be waived.... then tonight, TWICE, I get a call insisting that we pay tonight by credit card. This is becoming harrassment. Pay the extra money to go Direct, or cable, or ANYTHING but these guys. They are getting desperate that so many people are leaving to go internet based that they are straight up trying to rip people off. Don't walk away... Run.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Not even going into their service. I just want to cancel and leave. They won't let me. First you sit on hold for a while; can't they have an automated 'call back' like all other modern companies? Then when you finally get a service rep, they won't let you cancel. They keep interrupting and redirecting the conversation back to another package, another discount, another option.... and WILL NOT LET YOU CANCEL!

Then I get frustrated and say "Just let me cancel!" and the service rep acts all offended and puts up fake anger at me! Says they're just trying to 'Have a civilized conversation!' THESE PEOPLE ARE SCUMBAGS. Oh, and you can't cancel online, either. In fact, once I called, I could NO LONGER LOG IN! Their site wouldn't accept my passwords, saying "System is currently unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later." Dish network is criminal. After I post this, I'm calling my credit card company.

Original review: April 21, 2019

So I’ve been with Dish Network for almost 2 years now & I have never been treated so poorly in my life by a company. I pay my bill on time, I’ve never needed help from a technician, I pay extra for protection on my devices & I’ve never used it. I come up on hard times & I needed help. Well, let’s just say you can tell a lot about a company when you are struggling. I came a rep for some help because the extension that I originally paid for, I couldn’t pay until 5 days later so I wanted to pay for another one so my service wasn’t interrupted. I told the rep about what was going on only to be met with “we’re a cable company so you have to contact your water company for help on that issue.” I just told you I was struggling which isn’t the easiest thing to do & you decide it’s time to make a comment to humiliate me? I’m not asking for anything free, I wanted to pay for the extension until I could pay it in full but they could not help me.

So rep number 2 takes 15 minutes to review my account, finally to come back to say she could do a $15 extension. I ask her how I pay it & she says, "I’m sorry I cannot do that." Excuse me? You just said I could maybe a minute ago. Well, needless to say she retracted her statement so add lying to the list. Now when I contact them, all I get is someone repeating themselves saying they cannot help me. It’s your policy not to help a customer? You lie, you humiliate & you do not reply back to customers who reach out 6 TIMES for help before their service was interrupted. We care about our customers, my **. What a laughable statement. So if you ever come up on hard times, be ready to be humiliated. Customers should not be treated that way & I'm discontinuing my service! But I have to hound the company some more because now all of a sudden, no customer service rep can tell me when that is. What a headache!

Original review: April 20, 2019

Did not live up to their agreement then would not refund my money. I had to go to my bank to dispute the charges. I've received no service or installation. They told me an original install date. When I called back to confirm. They changed the date to a time when I could not be there. Before they did that they charged my account. They told me I did not have a scheduled date. Then I asked for a refund of my money since they could not do what they told me they WOULD do. I asked more than 10 times for a refund. To no avail. The choice was easy - live up to our agreement of install date or refund my money. They did neither. Continued to argue with me - offer discounts even called me a liar saying that I never had a date set up. All the while trying to get me to take a later date.

The only reason I've chosen to go to Dish was the customer service. Now with ATT sucks since they took over DirectTV. I loved my DirecTV until ATT screwed it up. Guess I'll have to see what online tv services will suit my needs moving forward. Note to Dish - live up to your agreements, don't call your customers liars. Give refunds when asked for at least by the 7th or 8th request for one.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My satellite TV hasn’t been working right for weeks. Called and scheduled a repairman to come out, which I pay extra every month for outside and inside repairs, and scheduled for 8 am since I had to go to work around noon. Started getting calls before 8 and every time they just kept moving the time back more for him to be here. When he called he was over 45 minutes from being here if he would even be here by then and I couldn’t even hardly understand his talking. Needless to say, that time it was too late since I needed to go to work. Called Dish and they didn’t seem to care at all! I explained that I had scheduled my work around this scheduled repair and they just said I would need to reschedule. I am checking into other options for television service and will cancel my Dish as soon as I can!!! To further explain, no wind/rain/snow or anything and it’s not working right now! Poorest service!!!

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs