Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

DISH Network
3.03/5
Based on 2,183 ratings submitted in the last year

DISH Network Reviews

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

DISH Network Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2019

My mother's television was showing no signal and so she called for tech support. The first person who answered, she didn't get his name, didn't listen to her and kept saying there was nothing he could do to help because it was obviously a problem with her TV. I called back for her and spoke with a lady named Joy and, yes, it did turn out out that the TV was on the wrong setting, but she took the time to listen and helped us figure out what the actual problem was. I don't know if this will get back to her employers but I really appreciate her patience and her taking the time to help with kindness.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have to say after reading so many bad reviews on here I was really hesitant to have Dish installed at my home, but I decided to go ahead and sign up for service and make the switch from cable and I am very glad I did. I have 1 hopper 3 and 2 joey 3.0s installed in my home and they work extremely well with no issues. The technician arrived promptly on time right at the beginning of my appointment and he did an excellent job on the installation. He was highly experienced. Not to mention he did the install on a very cold day, about zero degrees outside with 30 mph winds. I did not want the Dish mounted on my brand new roof and he was able to accommodate my request. He was able to install on a pole in my yard with clear line of sight and strong signal. He was also able to connect to the existing coax ports in my house which was awesome.

Overall the Hopper 3 and Joey receivers are great with excellent picture quality. Since the install, we've had heavy snowstorms and ice storms and very high 40 mph wind gusts in Michigan (here the weather is terrible 90 percent of the time) and have not had any issues with my picture. The service hasn't even blinked one second and my TVs run 24/7 in my home. The technician really made sure I had great signal, and I guess it also helps that I do not have many tall trees in my yard. I was really reluctant to get Dish after reading about the many problems people have the signal, but I've had none and customer service was great as well.

I made the switch from AT&T U-verse and I'm glad I did. The U-verse TV would go out frequently on a weekly basis for me. I could have gone with Comcast or WOW for cable, but I've had them both before in the past and both were bad experiences for me. The only one I've never had until now was DISH and so far it's the best experience I've had so far and they have the best technology in my honest opinion compared to what I've had so far. Honestly before I made the switch, I thought I would be taking a step backwards switching from cable to satellite but that is not the case as service is very reliable. I am just an honest customer. I am not paid for this review. I had many bad experiences with AT&T, Comcast, and WOW. I've had them all and neither were good.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Would love to just have channels I want without having to pay for packages and foreign language channels. It is pretty bad when we have to pay Dish to watch tv and Comcast for internet cause we can't bundle so my cost is well over 200.00 a month and I have to pay for 2 packs to get 1 channel on each. And now we don't get HBO my main channel we watched. If not by April I will change co. I don't want to miss GOT or continue missing John Oliver and Bill Mahr. Very disturbed about having to pay, my other option is go cableless and check out movies in library.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Dish has kept its prices stable and has great follow up on customer questions. They also stand up to the network’s demand for higher costs. The signal is rarely interrupted in my experience and the picture quality is great. I'm not happy with ESPN forcing you to buy their package to watch most of the football bowl games. What happened to competition?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

The only problem I see with this provider is the same as DirecTV. They are always wanting to increase billing rates. I feel like the price is too high already. They go up without providing anything new. I would like to stay with one provider from now on without having to negotiate a lower fee every few months.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I was given the Old outdated equipment at installation. System didn't even work for the first week. Tech had to come back to exchange for the new updated equipment but didn't take the old with him. So now I have to pay to ship it to them. They didn't disclose that it would be sep bill for Earthlink and that I was paying a $50 activation fee which is apparently not included in the free installation. I asked several times if $169. would be my monthly bill and he said yes every time. The second you sign their contracts you are locked in. There is no grace period to decide if you like it. They don't tell you that either.

As bad as my other company was they at least gave you 30 days to change your mind. I should have known when their own agent warned me not to cancel my current service until I was completely sure that theirs was working right. But since you don't get a chance to change your mind now it's $435 or so to get out of it and that was after only day 2 of it not working. I called and the nice lady convinced me to give them another chance to make it right and I did but it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. I was locked in and even she failed to disclose that information. It was only after having my bank account overdrawn by Earthlink and I called to just cancel the whole fiasco that I was informed I'm stuck with it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Dish Network sent a sales person out to my mom's home in Nebraska. My mom is 81 years old and spends the summers in NE and lives in Arizona in the winter. She had Directv before a DISH sales person came to her door. He told her he could save her money on her TV service. She explained that she lives in AZ in the winter and with Directv she would just call and pause service in NE and they would turn on her signal in AZ. In the spring she would call and do this again when she went back to NE. The salesman promised her this would not be an issue. My mom could do the same thing with Dish as she was doing with Directv but the price for service would be less and it would be locked for 2 years. She agreed to switch to Dish and contacted me so I could meet the Dish Network installer to install there equipment in her AZ home.

My mom arrived in AZ on 11/12/19. I called Dish to tell them to pause her service in NE and to turn on her service in AZ. The person I spoke to on 11/12 said he would turn on service, but that my mom’s price for service would go up since she was putting her NE account on "pause." I explained to him about what the Dish door to door sales person had told my mom. He said he would put a ticket into the loyalty department and for me to call back in 3-4 days to see what they could do about this situation. I called them back on 11/15/19 and again on 11/19/19 going to their loyalty department and finally a senior resolution specialist. I was told that because the NE Dish service was placed on pause all discounts go away and the price would go up even though we were promised by the sales person that this would NOT be the case.

The only thing the senior resolution specialists could do is to put a code on the account so we could cancel service without any penalty and she put the discounts back on the account, but as soon as my mom goes back to NE and pauses service in AZ the discount will drop off and the price will go up. I filed a better business bureau complaint and DISH called me and said that since it was door to door and they have no recording of the conversation they can’t verify what was said, so they could do nothing but allow us to cancel service in both locations without a penalty.

A door to door Dish sales person came out to an 81-year-old woman's home, got her to switch to Dish and promised the price would be guaranteed for 2 years and that going back and forth between NE and AZ would not be a problem. Based on every level of service person I have spoken to at Dish moving service from one location to another is not possible without all discounts going away. This door to door sales person lied to my mom and DISH Network doesn’t care. In fact, when they called me, they claimed that they had no association with this third-party vendor that was selling their services. This is wrong and I would never use DISH Network.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

We have been a loyal customer for 14 years and we are being charged a cancellation fee. We called to downgrade our service since we no longer have children in our home. The service was changed and had issue with service so they sent a technician out to resolve issue? They needed to change the control box to get service resumed, since they did this there stating we upgraded or service when in fact the day before we called to downgrade????? This is a SCAM of all SCAMS!!!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I paid for a month and they shut my services off 2 weeks later. Said that I still owe money bc how their system works. They do this all the time. They told me I have to pay $56 to turn it back on so I would be paying for services I didn't have.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

They've had me stay at my home 2 separate entire days this week. First day they show up missing equipment to do the installation so I have to reschedule. I reschedule 3 days later and they don't even show and call 6 hours after the appointment time and say they can't make it and reschedule again. It's hard to put into words without using foul language how annoyed and frustrated I am with this company. They just love screwing you around. I can't imagine how they treat existing customers if this is how they treat new customers ... HA!

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs