DISH Network

DISH Network Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

6059 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

As if we don't have enough sports channels!! First of all, we are not sports fans. Why, when we have so many sports channels, they even put sports on our other channels, and take away our shows to do this. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! I feel we pay too much already, and the reason for this is, they include sports channels that we don't even use. They won't even let you replace them with channels we would rather have. Give us our movie and shows, and leave the sports on the sport channels! This is cheating customers!! We are paying for all these channels that we don't use. Give us choices to replace them from sports, to other channels OR give us a break on our monthly bill!!! May just change from Dish, to regular cable, that carry OUR channels, OR may even check about going back to DirecTV!!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Only connected to Dish about a month ago. 2 days after it was installed it totally quit working. It was a couple of days until they came out to fix it. Ever since then it is nothing but a nightmare. I can't even watch 1 program without it going off on some message of some kind. It tell you it needs to update and you can change the time which I've done but it still does this over and over. Now with only an inch of snow the thing is out. Watching dvr and that keeps going out too. DirecTV is definitely the way better option.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 22, 2019

I have had Dish for a few months now and I have to tell you it is the worst mistake I have ever made. They lose channels every few months, just recently they lost HBO/Cinemax. A few months earlier Univision and a few others, they won't get them back. Their customer service is the worst. I recently had a signal lost so I called customer service and he told me to reset, of which I tried already, no luck, next he tells me he will send out a technician and it will cost me $95. I said, "WHAT!!?" Told him the problem was on his side, not my fault, he told me technicians cost money, so I told him, "Ok so If I were to crash your car and charged you to fix it, would that be fair?"

He went silent, I told him, "I won't pay a cent for something that's not my fault." Then he tried to sell me a silver protection package lol, I told him I wasn't purchasing anything and that I will soon cancel service and won't be paying any early cancellation fees either and changed my payment account so they won't rob me, then he says, "Ok sir I will give you 3 months free silver package so you won't have to pay for technician." WTF. Why didnt he say this from the start knowing this wasnt my fault, then it dawned on me, it's easy for them to mess with your signal. You call in to resolve problem and they either try to sell you the silver package or send out a technician to fix something they could have done over the air then charge you $95.

I'm telling you, STAY AWAY FROM these people, you will regret the day you signed up with them, and if you do and don't want them to rob you for cancellation fees, use a prepaid credit card or remove card you gave them and DON'T sign up for auto-pay, again you will be sorry you did. One poster hit it on the nail saying, "Dish USED to be good more than 5 years ago, now they're just a bunch of crooks."

Original review: March 22, 2019

Our motel has been without The Weather Channel for over six months, which is part of the package we pay for each month. After 22+ hours on the phone and via email, along with complaints to the BBB, Dish Network has now backed out of their agreement to fix the issue by providing new dish equipment to our business. They fixed 3 rooms and then just ditched us.

We actually had to show Dish Network how to resolve the issue in the first place. We did this by installing some spare equipment we had here. We sent them photo proof it could be fixed. Yes, WE had to show Dish Network how to resolve their own issue. So, now we know how to clean rooms, wash sheets, and resolve Dish Network's hardware and software issues. We have been over-billed by hundreds of dollars, which they now just adjusting (by hand) at the end of each billing cycle. They have stated they have a new commercial billing system they just can't seem to fix.

This week we filed a complaint with the FCC. Do know, ANYONE can file a complaint with the FCC over service or billing issues. Dish Network has 30 days to respond to any FCC complaint. This may help others here to get their issues resolved a bit faster. The BBB complaints also seem to work well with getting them to try to work with you.

The company seems to be going down the drain at a rapid rate. Much of this may have to do with the great number of subscribers they have lost due to HBO and other blackouts, etc... While we all sit here in the dark about what's going on with the company, Dish Network's Charlie Ergen's 2018 Pay Rises to $3.1 Million. Pretty sure he has no issues with his service, like the rest of here seem to have.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Dish TV cuts out a lot. When you pause live tv, it does not always come back on as it freezes, so you need to change the channel to get tv back, then you've missed what you wanted to see! I've recorded shows, only to find another channel recorded instead of the one I wanted. You've got 3 open spots to watch 3 different shows, but sometimes if a recording is about to start, it will change your channel to the one being recorded, as if all tv slots are full. Customer service has been okay, but they've told me to reset the boxes regularly to keep these things from happening, and when they update receivers, it does not do it automatically to yours. I've reset mine a lot, and for the price we pay we should nor need to do this! Besides, resetting does not fix all these little flaws that are very irritating! This is the worse tv service ever, and I'm almost out of the contract so I've already lined up for something much better, should have never left DirecTV.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: March 20, 2019

As of two years ago, prices have gone so high. I have no TV or internet due to the prices. Senior citizens are on a tight budget, for the most part. I am homebound and no outside contact. These companies are greedy!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I received a bill from Dish Network 3/12 for my mom who passed away November 2018. I contacted Dish Network in regards to this bill and they claim services were being delivered to her. My mom had no satellite or receiver for Dish Network or any other cable provider. I tried to explain this to the representative. He stated the bill was valid and was for January 2019. He also stated they made multiple attempts to withdraw money from a card they had on file for her, but was being declined as account closed. Instead of sending out a notice immediately for this "valid charge" they kept trying to take money.

When that proved to be unsuccessful they sat on it and 2 months later they sent out a bill. I informed this representative that these are fraudulent charges and requested to speak to his supervisor. He tried telling me he was part of the senior team and had no supervisor. I again requested to speak with the person above him and he stated he can transfer me a voicemail and maybe the department manager would return my call.

I left a message over a week ago and still have not heard from them. Not only are they trying to fraudulently bill a deceased person but they refuse to communicate with me to resolve this. I have all legal documents to show I am the executor and can handle all affairs for the estate, the representative at Dish Network said they didn't need that. No excuses other than they are frauds and are doing things illegally. My attorney will be contacting them.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I had DirecTV for 15 years, husband passed, so tried to get something cheaper, went to Cox, bad, switched to Dish, worse experience of my life!!! I had for 1 mo. had to reset every day, when I turned on, so I canceled, they are charging me $460.00, early cancellation fee. Whatever. DISH IS BAD!!!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I found a raccoon in my attic and looking for where this animal came in; I assume that when the dish was installed, the technician may lean the ladder over the gutters and twist it, which left a hole where I imagine this animal entered. I called the customer services de Dish, and they tell me that the system does not work that I call later. I have called more than 4 times, for the past 5 hours waiting on the phone for more than 10 minutes, and in the end they tell me that I have to call later because they still have connection problems... Dish should give us credit for this problem in the same way that they charge us late fee if we do not pay on time.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Why would a company of this stature that spends millions and millions of advertising dollars to get new customers. Take an existing customer that has meet all of his contract, paid their bill on auto payment, never late one time. But that customer calls in to simply update their credit card information on an expiring card so to stay completely current on their bill. And the game starts. "What a deal I have for you." Not a, "Thank you for your business." But to be told I’m paying too much for the services I have. O really? "What a deal I have for you." O boy here we go.

I politely tell the Dish employee so to save time that I’m not interested in adding any services at this time. I’m not interested in any new promotions. "No sir I understand. I’m just trying to help you???" "Ok. What’s you got." "Well sir knowing you're happy with your services I can simply lower your bill with no changes to your service if you agree to a new one year contract." "O is my contract expired?" "No sir. It will be expiring but at this time you are under contract. This will simply eliminate your bill going up when it does expire." Wow got my attention. My first thought, "Wait a minute. I’m on a call with Dish Network." This never happens. It’s always just the exact opposite. I simply say, "Why wouldn’t I take that offer. Thank you. This is a first. Please proceed. I agree to your offer." The call ended once all of their formality was completed.

At this time I’m a happy customer thinking that was great customer service. THEN the circus starts. The real Dish Network shows its real colors. Then my new bill shows up??? Not only did my bill not go down it went up by $25 and with no changes to the account at all but I had a new one year contract. O my God. Here I go into the 1-800 world of Dish Network hoping I would get someone that understands English.

After being on hold for 25 minutes thank God I did. "O sir the reason your bill went up is your 2 year contract expired and you're being charged full price." I proceeded to tell what the last Dish employee had told me he did for me. "O sir I’m sorry. We can’t do that. When you talked to that employee you were still under contract." Although I got an email congratulating me and confirming the changes to my account just like the representative said he did. "I’m sorry sir. He made a mistake. He shouldn’t of offered you that promotion."

By now I’ve been on the phone for an hour on my second Dish representative the senior supervisor. I then have to start over completely??? "O sir that offer is not available to you because you were under contract at that time. If you're willing to agree to a new 2 year contract and accept the promotions that come with that contract I can offer you a new contract." That was a higher price than my last contract. Not at all even close to what the last representative had offered me. Then telling the Senor supervisor I just wanted to cancel my account. "O sir we’d like to keep you as a customer." (Really?)

Then the Senior Supervisor tells me to go online, to get an online promotion that is only available online? The online offer is better than I can offer you? No Mr Senior Supervisor I’m not going to go online at this time. I’m in about 1 1/2 hours on the call at this time. I then said, "Either you handle this immediately or cancel my account." "Yes Sir. I’ll give you the online promotion." My suggestion to Dish Network is to spend some of those millions of advertising on getting new customers spend some of that money towards customer retention. Bottom line do yourself a favor. Go with one of their competitors. Dish Sucks.

Original review: March 16, 2019

In January 2019 I contacted Dish Network, wanting to end my 25 years as a subscriber, they proceed to tell me that if I cancel my subscription that I would be breaking a two-year agreement that I supposedly agreed to in July 2018 when I added a wireless Joey. I do not recall ever signing or agreeing to a two-year extension/agreement since I had already been a member since 1995. Dish Network continues to argue with me stating that I must have signed an agreement and that if they cancel my membership now they will charge me $300 for violating their contract, that I have yet to see after 6 requests for verification.

Being a member for 25 years, I have purchased 3 receivers, purchased one satellite dish, leased 2 receivers (over 12 years), and leased one Joey (8 months). I have paid my monthly bill on time every month and if I have averaged $100 per month that would $30,000 to Dish Network over the 25 years. Thus, I am posting this in disgust with a company that I encouraged and solicited other to use, and a company I was proud to be a part of until January 2019.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I thought by choosing Dish, I’d be saving money, at first I did save money because it was only like $60 a month then I noticed without us not subscribing to anything or adding anything just leaving it is the same plan that we been on they slowly started raising it to almost $200 and when I tried to cancel it, because I almost had to call every month to get my price back down to $60, they said, "OK. That’s fine. Just send back the stuff," and then they charged my card without even notifying me of $180. So when I called to to see what the heck is going on they said they couldn’t do anything about it. I would not recommend because these people are a bunch of thieves!!!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Pixelation, stopping and starting and unable to view programs without hesitating. I have made over ten calls complaining of the service and Dish responses range from “you need new remote control batteries” to disconnecting my call when a representative is unaware of how to fix the problem and tried to transfer me to a supervisor. Why am I paying for a service I am not receiving. Dish wants to charge me for a service call so they can physically look at the problem. Unbelievable.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I want to thank all of you for reporting your troubling experiences with DISH. I have been considering returning to DISH after being with them for many years and needing to end my contract because I had moved. My experience over those years was very positive and I believe they have the absolute BEST equipment on the market. But, after reading these reviews, I am concerned this is not the same company it once was. It appears they've become predatory and underhanded in their dealings with customers and offer little or no opportunity to resolve issues. To be fair, we had tried DirecTV for a bit and their customer service was also a nightmare. I know offshore labor is cheaper, but it can be costly when you lose business.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I ordered DISH in hopes of saving money. The service started out terrible and got worse. After 5 days I cancelled and am now fighting them because they want to charge me 540. What for horrible service and 5 days of no tv. The service kept freezing up and then no picture at all. I understand an early termination fee but should you have a certain amount of time to cancel if dissatisfied and 540. I live on disability and you really think you as DISH company deserve that money. Don’t believe the commercials. Stay far away from DISH.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I decide to cancel DISH because they don’t have Univision and they lie to me but put in my account in hold that cause me more charges and end paying more even when was their problem not mine for not have Univision anymore. Very disrespectful the way that their agent treated me. Now I don’t want DISH never in my life and if someone can give me an idea and what can I do to fight for my rights please let me know. Thanks.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Watching my program and interrupted by a Dish commercial or instruction about the control or that a program is going to be recorded and 'do I want to watch it?' Of course I don't!! Or 'are you still out there?' I sometimes watch a lot of shows on the same channel without going to another channel. Especially news channels. Then there is the remote and those irritating buttons on the side. This is such an antiquated system. One bad push of the button and all is lost for about 15 minutes to an hour while you try to figure it out or have to call customer service to help. Meanwhile you cannot record the show and all is lost. Now the cost... too expensive for the service and experiencing outage during a sprinkle of rain!! It would be best to leave it to the experts, or at least better someone with more knowledge!!

Original review: March 7, 2019

Ridiculous policy from a company that is losing customers every month. They must have your social security number to have service. Even if you buy their boxes! And if you buy the boxes you are charged a monthly rate for the boxes even though you own them! Their rates are outrageous and the constant upping of rates is not worth it. Consider that you can get Orby TV (connected to Best Buy) for $40 a month with most of the stations you want. You can stream other stations for no more than $40 a month tops for a total of $80 a month versus $130 a month at DISH (that includes a few boxes for various rooms). And Orby charges NOTHING for equipment rental (you buy the box for $100 and you own it) regardless of how many boxes you have. DISH doesn't get it. Look into streaming with Hulu, Netflix, or YouTube and use these in combination with Orby if you really need 250 stations.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I signed up for DISH originally because it was cheaper. Starting from the beginning I had a crack head (literally) install my service who wasn’t even a DISH employee. He was subcontracted out. Then I got no signal before and when it rained. When I called and canceled WITHOUT my permission they took $400 from my account all at once then as the equipment was being sent back they STOLE another $149... This company does not Care at all about its costumers!! I called several times to try and get my money back and the “manager” hung up on me as I was crying. I tried to have a payment plan put in place but they wouldn’t help me at all! From start to finish... Will NEVER go back. I’d rather pay higher prices with Xfinity or Frontier. So, so sad what DISH does to people!! They need to go out of business.

Original review: March 6, 2019

After 6 years of being a customer, I canceled my service. I can't justify the costs. So I call in to cancel and find out I have a credit on my account due to cancelling mid month. I asked the representative what happens to that credit, and am told I don't get it back. That it stays on the account in case I ever return. Here's a heads up. I'm NOT COMING BACK!!! Unbelievable! It's $28 so not the end of the world. But how can they justify keeping money owed while not providing me a service. Is this even legal? On top of that, they want me to climb onto my roof and get a part off the dish to return to them. Yeah okay... And also I have to pay $15 to ship the equipment back. There's a reason this company is looked at poorly. And you don't have to look far to find out why.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I called to cancel my Dish Network account because they dropped HBO programming from their lineup. (HBO was the reason for going with Dish) Called them on a monthly basis to inquire as to when HBO might return. The response was always "Soon Sir... Soon." But for months, nothing has happened. Dish Network insists on charging me $200.00 cancellation fee and $50.00 to ship back their equipment. So, watch out for Dish... If they got rid of a few of the lawyers maybe they could afford to get HBO back on their lineup! CUT THE CORD!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Had Dish installed and started having issues with it right away. Could not watch programs or on demand without it stopping constantly to buffer. Called multiple times and had technician out who basically said he did not know what the problem was. I went to another provider and proceeded to cancel my Dish service since it had never worked. They said since I had not had three technicians out, they would not cancel the disconnect fee. In my view they canceled the contract since I was not getting what I was paying for. My suggestion is to avoid Dish Network at all costs.

Original review: March 3, 2019

It is so hard to disconnect Dish Network and their services. They don't answer their calls. I was on line for 45 minutes and kept listening to their messages and they disconnected the call. I have been trying to reach them for three months now. I truly should just throw their receivers as I am moving out of country and not worry. They are crooks and not sure what can be done. They have million similar complaints. How come these kind of companies are still in business.

Original review: March 3, 2019

One star is an insult to most one star services. They deserve infinite negative stars. This was true before and after they dropped HBO and Starz. Dish was better (acceptable) four or five years ago but now lacks customer relations competence and lacks any technical skill whatsoever. The service calls are a waste of time. The picture is unreliable. The guide is hit or miss -- mostly miss. We frequently have to hunt and peck on channels to find the programs we want. Programs we have recorded disappear and reappear from the DVR list with no rhyme or reason. For example Mrs. Miniver -- which we had started to watch so we know it had recorded, still sometimes showed as the title of a DVR recording, sometimes not! But, two days after we started watching asking that title to resume "resumed" as "Singing in the Rain".

If you instruct the DVR to record only new episodes, it misses quite a few. If you instruct it to record one occurrence daily, it will frequently record multiple events anyway -- e.g. PBS new hour which is on in different time slots on different channels. If you complain, you might get credits to offset some of your bill. But forget about any adjustment to their almighty cancellation fee. We are counting the days until the termination fee falls into manageable.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Listing of RV show wrong. I have my DISH recorder set to record Dateline every Friday night. Often, it is skipped because they do not list the episode as new. If the New isn't on the description, the recorder will not record it. I find it extremely aggravating. I have told DISH reps about the problem repeatedly and nothing is done to correct the problem. Grrr!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

SO I decided to try them and before I get the service, I cancelled because they took money off the card they used to verify my identity without authorization. I call to get the money back on my card and they say, "Oh it hasn't processed and it will be back after midnight." No money of course, call back again told it takes 7-10 business days and I will receive an email within 15-20 mins max... no email after 2 hours, call back ask for email or confirmation transaction id #... get told they cant re-send email and there is no number to confirm!!! How is this possible??? DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR SERVICE!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

About 5 years ago I attempted to set up service with Dish Network for the very first time. I was told I already had an account and that I owed them money. They would not give me any details, only demanded payment. I finally learned that they linked me to the overdue account with nothing more than the same first name and that it had been a mistake. After months of battling, we were told that the mistake had been settled and we owed nothing. A year later the bill was sent to collections. Another few months of battling and we were told the mistake was fixed again and not to worry about it. Today, five years after the first contact, I received yet another debt collection bill from these people. As far as I can tell they are either the most poorly run business I have ever dealt with or they were lying. We never went back to cable or Dish after this experience.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

These people have treated me worse than a dog. After two or three complaints with this company I finally decided to cut the service forever and then discovered that they had extended the contract without my authorization. The person on the phone was angry and rude. At the end of the day they sent me a bill for a service I never received... Never again Dish. You all insulted me and disrespected me. It's time for someone to sue you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My DVR was scheduled to tape the Bachelor as it does every week it’s on. Well why did Hopper just stop taping and cut off half the show. The phone technician couldn’t get it to work either. Tried to watch it on Dish to go and it has skipped episode 8 altogether. This is not the first time in one of my favorite series, it skipped an episode. What did they offer me, nothing? Just apologized and transferred me to someone who could not do anything either. Same thing happened with DirecTV so they are all the same!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have to say after reading so many bad reviews on here I was really hesitant to have Dish installed at my home, but I decided to go ahead and sign up for service and make the switch from cable and I am very glad I did. I have 1 hopper 3 and 2 joey 3.0s installed in my home and they work extremely well with no issues. The technician arrived promptly on time right at the beginning of my appointment and he did an excellent job on the installation. He was highly experienced. Not to mention he did the install on a very cold day, about zero degrees outside with 30 mph winds. I did not want the Dish mounted on my brand new roof and he was able to accommodate my request. He was able to install on a pole in my yard with clear line of sight and strong signal. He was also able to connect to the existing coax ports in my house which was awesome.

Overall the Hopper 3 and Joey receivers are great with excellent picture quality. Since the install, we've had heavy snowstorms and ice storms and very high 40 mph wind gusts in Michigan (here the weather is terrible 90 percent of the time) and have not had any issues with my picture. The service hasn't even blinked one second and my TVs run 24/7 in my home. The technician really made sure I had great signal, and I guess it also helps that I do not have many tall trees in my yard. I was really reluctant to get Dish after reading about the many problems people have the signal, but I've had none and customer service was great as well.

I made the switch from AT&T U-verse and I'm glad I did. The U-verse TV would go out frequently on a weekly basis for me. I could have gone with Comcast or WOW for cable, but I've had them both before in the past and both were bad experiences for me. The only one I've never had until now was DISH and so far it's the best experience I've had so far and they have the best technology in my honest opinion compared to what I've had so far. Honestly before I made the switch, I thought I would be taking a step backwards switching from cable to satellite but that is not the case as service is very reliable. I am just an honest customer. I am not paid for this review. I had many bad experiences with AT&T, Comcast, and WOW. I've had them all and neither were good.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs