Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

DISH Network
3.17/5
Based on 2,174 ratings submitted in the last year

DISH Network Reviews

6158 DISH Network Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2019

My mother's television was showing no signal and so she called for tech support. The first person who answered, she didn't get his name, didn't listen to her and kept saying there was nothing he could do to help because it was obviously a problem with her TV. I called back for her and spoke with a lady named Joy and, yes, it did turn out out that the TV was on the wrong setting, but she took the time to listen and helped us figure out what the actual problem was. I don't know if this will get back to her employers but I really appreciate her patience and her taking the time to help with kindness.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have to say after reading so many bad reviews on here I was really hesitant to have Dish installed at my home, but I decided to go ahead and sign up for service and make the switch from cable and I am very glad I did. I have 1 hopper 3 and 2 joey 3.0s installed in my home and they work extremely well with no issues. The technician arrived promptly on time right at the beginning of my appointment and he did an excellent job on the installation. He was highly experienced. Not to mention he did the install on a very cold day, about zero degrees outside with 30 mph winds. I did not want the Dish mounted on my brand new roof and he was able to accommodate my request. He was able to install on a pole in my yard with clear line of sight and strong signal. He was also able to connect to the existing coax ports in my house which was awesome.

Overall the Hopper 3 and Joey receivers are great with excellent picture quality. Since the install, we've had heavy snowstorms and ice storms and very high 40 mph wind gusts in Michigan (here the weather is terrible 90 percent of the time) and have not had any issues with my picture. The service hasn't even blinked one second and my TVs run 24/7 in my home. The technician really made sure I had great signal, and I guess it also helps that I do not have many tall trees in my yard. I was really reluctant to get Dish after reading about the many problems people have the signal, but I've had none and customer service was great as well.

I made the switch from AT&T U-verse and I'm glad I did. The U-verse TV would go out frequently on a weekly basis for me. I could have gone with Comcast or WOW for cable, but I've had them both before in the past and both were bad experiences for me. The only one I've never had until now was DISH and so far it's the best experience I've had so far and they have the best technology in my honest opinion compared to what I've had so far. Honestly before I made the switch, I thought I would be taking a step backwards switching from cable to satellite but that is not the case as service is very reliable. I am just an honest customer. I am not paid for this review. I had many bad experiences with AT&T, Comcast, and WOW. I've had them all and neither were good.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Would love to just have channels I want without having to pay for packages and foreign language channels. It is pretty bad when we have to pay Dish to watch tv and Comcast for internet cause we can't bundle so my cost is well over 200.00 a month and I have to pay for 2 packs to get 1 channel on each. And now we don't get HBO my main channel we watched. If not by April I will change co. I don't want to miss GOT or continue missing John Oliver and Bill Mahr. Very disturbed about having to pay, my other option is go cableless and check out movies in library.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Dish has kept its prices stable and has great follow up on customer questions. They also stand up to the network’s demand for higher costs. The signal is rarely interrupted in my experience and the picture quality is great. I'm not happy with ESPN forcing you to buy their package to watch most of the football bowl games. What happened to competition?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Dish. They offer good deals, from time to time you have a few days in which you have access to subscription channels for free. The bill does not go up like it used to do with Time Warner Cable. If you ever have a problem, they fix it fast and efficiently. Customer care is excellent. If I go on vacation, I get to put it on hold easily. I have had Dish for 5 years and love them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: July 21, 2019

In my opinion Dish thinks it’s their own country with binding rules and demands. I signed up with Dish two weeks ago, excited to be leaving another provider who was purchased and their decline in customer service finalized my decision to move the Dish. I soon discovered one was no better than the other and am sorry I moved the service. I was aware they blacked out HBO prior to my move but was dismayed, now mind you within a two week period, lost Channel 4 KMOV, Fox Sports where I can no longer get the Cardinals and Blues games, FX, FXX, FXM, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild and Nat Geo Mundo. When I signed up they agreed to provide me with these channels and I pay to have them. I’d like to know why their contract is so binding that they can drop channels as they feel necessary but I’m still expected to pay and adhere to a binding contract they altered just two weeks later.

They cite they are not at fault as they fight rising cost for us, the consumer but, net 13 Billion annually. Their contract say I’d have to pay $480 max to get out of a contract they are not honoring. How is this a mutual contract when the advantage is binding to just one side. Consumers beware. Dish is not what they appear. They don’t care. They only serve themselves. One last thing. Isn’t it odd you have to pay a service agreement to service their equipment you lease if something goes wrong. Since when did this become acceptable to the consumer?

Original review: July 21, 2019

We will no longer be able to watch St. Louis Cardinals Baseball on Fox Sports Midwest. They also have taken away HBO and CBS. We can't even watch our local news. This sort of bad business practice and just getting away with it, has gone too far. This company needs to be held accountable for the customers sake. No business should be able to give you something then just take it away immediately and without explanation. Customers deserve better. Dish should be ashamed and honestly just get out of the market. No one wants you here anymore.

Original review: July 15, 2019

To start my monthly billing was 97.00 a month. Recently my house was broke in to. My TVs were stolen. Dish told me I could my account on hold which I did then when I went to restart my service they told me my bill was going from 97.00 to 142.00. I never told this and never was was discussed then without notice they started taking money out of my checking. These people are legal crooks. When ordering there’s no contact signed. The customer service people lie. Even when I tried to restore service I couldn’t even get anyone to come out.

Original review: July 14, 2019

We have had Dish Network for over 15 years and had basic service we could afford then. All of a sudden the bill increased 4 fold. Wow. I guess the new players (employees) want more profit and don't need us anymore. We tried to negotiate with them but no dice. They say take what we offer or leave it So we just have been disconnected by Dish. We still get 22 digital channels with our outside antenna at no cost.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I was one of the first Dish retailer installers. I installed many systems and serviced them for years. Dish started as a very reputable company, but as the company grew they lost contact with the people who helped build the base company. After several years as a dealer Dish contracted an outside company to do upgrades on all their systems. The contractor upgraded most of my customers without me even knowing it. The contractor did a very poor job an Dish was flooded with complaints of service loss etc. Dish would contact me and tell me that it was my duty to take care of the customers who had botched upgrades. The contractor had been paid for the upgrade and Dish wanted me to correct their mistakes. In fact they demanded that I correct the mistakes. This upset me and I resigned as a Dish Network dealer. I have continued subscribing to Dish services for years as the cost of programming has gone up and up.

I just recently looked into internet tv and was shocked at how much more I could get for a lot less. Things like unlimited dvr at no charge, many of the channels that I had to pay for on Dish are free, local networks free. The list goes on and on. For $50.00 dollars a month I am getting more tv than I was getting with Dish for $144.00 dollars a month. I think the days for satellite tv like Dish and DirecTV are limited.

Original review: July 9, 2019

We had terrible service from DISH. Our service would be interrupted approximately 2-3 times every hour. We had at least 3 people coming to our home attempting to repair the service but they were not successful. In addition, I called the company on several occasions. Although the equipment was returned, the company continued to bill me. When I called, the person on the phone, Edna, asked if I wanted to have the service disconnected. At that time, I had no equipment. Even though I had such terrible service, I had to pay a few hundred dollars to have it disconnected.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I have been a DISH Network subscriber for 14 years. I wanted to cancel my subscription with the company because after the promotion ended, the prices were increasing and there were no more discounts. When I went to cancel it in 2019, they told me that I would be breaking a two-year contract that I supposedly agreed to. In November 2016, I called to upgrade my equipment to the Hopper and Joey and they put me in a two-year contract which I knew about and agreed to. But in 2017, I called to add a TV but customer service did not tell me that it would be putting me in a contract. Even when the technician came to install the Wireless Joey for the additional TV, he did not tell me about a contract and told me to sign on an iPad which I thought was to confirm that he came and did the service.

Recently when I called to end my subscription, they told me that I was breaking a contract that was supposed to end in October 2019. I don't recall being told about a contract and when I asked for proof of my permission, they emailed me the contract with my signature. I realized that the signature was from when I signed when the technician came but even he didn't tell me that I was signing for a contract. They also proceed to tell me that if I want to end my subscription, I had to pay $20 for each month that was left (5 months) and $15 for returning the equipment.

As a subscriber for DISH Network for more than a decade, I'm disappointed and disgusted at the way they treat their customers. I always paid my monthly bills on time and never missed any payments. I'm writing this review to warn others of DISH Network's horrible service for customers. So if you are planning to subscribe to DISH Network, I advise against it because in the end, you will feel cheated of your money. Again, stay away from DISH Network. They are not a trusted company, I do not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I cancelled my Dish account this week after fulfilling my 2 year agreement. I found out today it has been mysteriously reinstated. Trying to pay final bill and be done with it. Trying to stop auto pay. The girl was ridiculous. I finally told her I was recording her. She refused to answer any more questions. I said, "So, you can record me but I cannot record you?" She said, "That's right." I wasn't recording her. Haha. Showing her true colors. One of the worst customer service experiences over these past 2 years. Moral: STAY AWAY FROM DISH NETWORK!!! I cancelled bc of bad signal; frequent pixelation and lost signal. And too expensive for the 2 or 3 channels I watch (all in different packages). The a la carte program is not a la carte.

Original review: July 4, 2019

This company is not worth it. Have been lied to all day by employees - many of them not in our country so you have to tell them the correct time. I'm in Texas and paid for prior and have been waiting since 8 am. Now 3:44 PM still no technician. No TV - same excuse. Tech is busy with the 1st job of the day... Guess this tech is not good at what he is expected to do because it's almost 8 hours. So again BUYER BEWARE. I have personally been lied to ALL DAY.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I call DISH Network last week around the 27th or the 28th because I was told by Frontier that DISH Network want me to sign up for a flex package. I don’t know what a flex package is, and that I needed to call Dish so I did and you know it’s not a good start when the first person to answer isn’t even English but from India or some place that’s not America, and doesn’t even listen to you when you tell them the reason for calling. Seriously what is the deal?!?

He then transferred me to someone else whose first language isn’t English and I tried to ask that same damn question but he ignored my question and processed to go through what hell ever was on his screen and after doing the credit check told me that I would have to pay $120.07 deposit to have their basically their ** package or $400 for their best package, I know my credit. They lie. Even when I was with DirecTV I didn’t have to pay nothing like this, is it their goal to financially ** people who are on a fix income? To be honest I am actually surprised that a shady company like DISH hasn’t sued and put out of business, they have no morals or standards like other companies that are 100% times better them. I was going to sign up for Dish Network today but seeing as there are mixed reviews on this company I will just go back to DirecTV. At least their customer service is here in the USA.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Dish TV stole $99 dollars out of my bank account without my permission after I cancel service. Got money back. 2 years later they sent it to a collection agency, filed with FTC, beware of Dish TV. Go with Sling or Pluto best choice.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I called a week prior to having installation set up. I set up a new account and an appointment for June 27th between 8-12. I received a phone call the night prior to remind me of the appointment and an email as well. At 12:30 I called to see what's up since no one ever called or showed up. They were so apologetic, offered more discounts and said someone from their local hub would call shortly. No one ever called. By 4 o'clock I called for the last time because I received an email for an appointment made for me for the next day. Mind you I took a vacation day prior. I was very unhappy. They showed up the next day at 10:45...an hour before I had to leave for work. I had to cancel everything. I will never deal with this company again. Very poor service and unapologetic!

Original review: June 28, 2019

The customer service representative was nice and went through all the necessary steps. However, my problem requires a service call to my home. This is Friday June 28th, 2019. The soonest service I can get is Wednesday July 3rd, 2019! Really? Six days is the best they can do? Looking for new provider ASAP.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Will not show where NEWSMAX NETWORK is on the channel guide 216 because they don’t want you to see it. They hide it so you won’t subscribe to it! I don’t think they should be treating the public this way, sounds very bias to me. When you push the guide button and bring up channels in red and yellow that you don’t get it won’t show NEWSMAX CHANNEL 216!

Original review: June 26, 2019

I moved a week ago. DISH told me there would be a $20 charge to move. I assumed it would be added to my next bill. I was watching TV this morning before work, and all of a sudden my TV picture froze. There was a notification on my screen that I was not subscribed to these channels, to unplug it, call customer service, etc. I pressed OK. Nothing happened. I checked the MYDISH app and it said restore services. It wanted the $20 right then and there or my services were interrupted. Are you kidding me??? Never had this happen with any other service. Why isn't it just added to your upcoming bill? I have never even been one day late paying my bill in over two years!!! And this is the way you do your customers??? I think this is absolutely appalling.

Original review: June 25, 2019

After receiving our promotional cc we had 24 hours to activate. We did as request. Made two retail purchases under $200.00 total. Third purchased a Walmart tire. Card was denied stating insufficient funds. Within 8 hours our free much needed card had been hacked. $200.00 in games and iTunes were stolen. The card didn't leave my pocket. I reported it and was given a run around. I expected nothing less. The guy who was explaining my overusing the card couldn't shut up long enough to understand me. English damn it. Not Arabic. I don't think I was ever intended to receive the full $400.00. Prove me wrong. I already hate DISH as much as the other. I'm out.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Called to cancel my service because I am moving. Tried to lower the bill, how come I have to cancel to get my bill lowered? Second, I’m moving to a rental for a few months and don’t need the service. Was satisfied with them up until this point and would have used again once I bought the next house. Instead they charge $15.00 a box to ship their old equipment back. I need 5! It would all fit in one box! Last time with DIRECTV. I dropped them off at a Verizon store. Easy and no fee! Sorry Dish Network. I won’t be back!

Original review: June 21, 2019

Signed up for Dish at my new home/state and had to do a 2 year contract, not once did they say getting a service appointment in my area would be an issue. Have problems today, call and I’m told due to where I live I can’t get a service technician out until next Wednesday. No tv service. Asked how I could cancel due to no service or customer service - pay the two years and then I can get out of their service. What a crock. Trust me - don’t go with Dish.

Original review: June 20, 2019

My 82 year old mother lives in a rural area, satellite TV is her only option. We cancelled the 3 month Showtime preview on their website and were still charged. They also say she ordered a $45 WWE Show PPV and refuse to remove the charge. This is all part of the scam for the elderly. I am very unhappy and can't get Dish to resolve these issues. If you don't scrutinize the each month they slip in a charge. NOT happy and Dish customer service says nothing they can do.

Original review: June 18, 2019

At the completion of my DISH contract I called to reconfirm the cancellation date and was told it would be May 25 instead of May 22. When I called on the 25th, I was told I was being billed 72.98 Which I objected to due to the fact that I had been given incorrect advice however it made no difference to DISH. They had billed my credit card on May 23 even though I had called to cancel on the 22nd. Upon receiving my credit card statement June 18, I actually had to call DISH in order to demand a credit to my card.

My reason for canceling in the first place is that, after five years of being the customer, they raised my rate from $40.50 to almost double. The same thing has happened to two of my friends concerning double billing. I now have and indoor antenna which I purchased from Best Buy and it works beautifully. Basically, I was paying DISH to provide me with Fox News and Hallmark movies. I do not recommend their services.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Do not sign up for DISH Network. They will promise you anything and lie to you to get you to sign up with them, and then the monthly fee just keeps on increasing and getting more and more expensive. Their customer service is the worst and they just do not care about their customers. It is impossible to get out of their contract and you will end up paying a monthly fee for the rest of your life!! Stay away from them and please go with any other cable provider - just NOT DISH!!

Original review: June 14, 2019

When I called to have Dish installed they told me one of my local channels would be CW. When it was installed their KNHL was MeTV, but the guide shows the Jimmy Swaggart network! The installer told me to unplug the DVR and wait and then plug it back in. Didn't work! I called customer service, she went in on the tv and did a bunch of trouble shooting and said there all fixed. Didn't work! She said she would refer it. I called back a week later, went through the whole thing again, no change. And when I insisted on talking to a supervisor they actually put me through to one!

DirecTV will say they are putting you through and then hang up on you. The supervisor said they had never gotten a flag from the previous call I had made and said there was nothing they could do, I should call KNHL! Face it, there is no reputable tv service anywhere. They are out for the money and if you don't like it though, you signed a 2 year contract and as soon as it expires you have to change again or you will end up having the price increased $10 a month every month till you have to go somewhere else where they get you locked into another 2 years of bad service.

Original review: June 14, 2019

My tv service was interrupted many times and when I'd contact them I was told probably weather related. I told it was a beautiful calm sunny day. Finally told them I wouldn’t pay a bill for such lousy service. They turned my service off, including internet and had the nerve to send me a bill for close to $400 for their equipment. A TOTAL RIP OFF!!!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

DISH Network is the epitome of why satellite service is going the way of the dinosaur. Shady unethical business practices, won't let you cancel service, then nickel and dime you to death about climbing on your roof to mail them their decade old equipment. Only an idiot would pay these people every month.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I sold my summer house December 2018 and the new owner was going to have the account transferred when they moved in March. In April I started receiving bills from Dish for 129.00 that was being directly charged to my credit card. I disputed the charge and in May received another bill and charge to my card for the month of May. When I called DISH I was told 3 different things from 3 different reps.

Rep 1: The new owners never transferred the account and therefore, the account was still active and under my name. DISH could not set up another account while it was still active under me. I would need to pay a $310 early termination fee and the past 2 months owed even though I have not owned the house since December. The new owner could not set up a new account until I closed mine and the new owners were using the service under my name. I ask to speak to a supervisor.

Rep 2 Supervisor: The supervisor informed me the rep I spoke with was new and in fact there was an account active under another name at the same address but there was also an active account under under my name as well. I ask how there could be 2 accounts for 1 Dish and a private home. She replied "DISH doesn't monitor that" and even though they are billing another account I would still need to pay the past 2 months and the early termination fee. I ask why they should be profiting from 2 accounts, she said it was not Dish's responsibility to monitor. She then told me my early termination fee was now $420 not the $310 told to me 5 minutes earlier by the first rep. I ask to speak to someone in the resolution department.

Rep 3: I was told that DISH can indeed bill multiple parties in the same home for the same service. Even though DISH was already paid by the new owner for the monthly service I would also need to pay because there was an account under my name. In summary, Dish is getting paid twice for the same service and also is receiving a termination fee from me. In total DISH is requiring I pay over $800 for a service being billed and paid for by the new owner. When they activated the new account DISH could see there was already an account active, but made no effort to investigate why there were 2 active accounts for a private home. Instead DISH was happy to double bill and would not even consider crediting me back the 2 months that they had also been paid by the new owner. This demonstrates unethical and very poor business practices, DISH clearly doesn't care at all about the consumer. People BEWARE and use Use DirecTV instead.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs