DISH Network
2.00/5

DISH Network Reviews

5868 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Dish unplugged my DirecTV Satellite when providing neighbor's installation. Contacted Dish and first gentleman said it's impossible and that in his ten years has never had that happen. Second gentleman hung up when I was trying to explaining. Third was a lady and said our neighbor would have to call and inform them of what happened. So now I had to contact DirecTV and wait 5 days for reinstallation because Dish mistake and refuse to acknowledge they interfered with my service. Seriously what were the chances of mine having issues the same time and day Dish installed my neighbor's. This is why we left Dish Network. They do not listen to the customers. DirecTV has been amazing and are working to correct this at no charge.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Switched from DirecTV because they were over-charging and service was horrible, well Dish is no different! They lied and now I have a bill for $172.87! Keep in mind that I paid an upfront activation fee already. I spoke with the agent at length about where we would like our bill and we were quoted a price of $66.99 I asked are there any hidden fees and of course they said no, that was a lie!!! Total Price with tax $69. & change. We have multiple hidden charges that we've just been billed for and we've only had the service for 2 days! I'm pissed!

I'm calling them now to have them turn off service & come and get their equipment out of my home. : ) I would also like to mention that this is not the first time I've had to contact them or been lied to... When I called to have the service hooked up I was told the main channels I watch were included in the package they gave me and that was a lie! 3 of the channels that I specifically told him that we watch and asked THREE times if they were included were not in the package we received once the services were installed! I have been lied to three separate times in less than 3 days. This is not a good start if you are trying to have a business relationship.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Was told they would not issue gift card because we sent auto pay information instead of bill. Would they not have the bill? They clearly do everything possible not to pay you what was promised. Buyer beware. This is a scam.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was not disappointed with the service at all. It was just what was promised but what pissed me off about Dish is they promise a 100 dollar gift card when signing up and then they give you a 25 dollar gift card and when I went online to find out why they told me they don't offer a 100 dollar gift card.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I had Dish network service for 6ish months when I moved into my new place, completely happy with the service I was provide. When it came time to move into my new apartment I was told there are not dishes allowed to be mounted. I called Dish Network to tell them I needed to cancel my account cause I can not have a dish at my new place. The representative had told me no problem we will get someone out to verify there is no line of sight.

Two weeks goes by and nothing, I figured someone came by and checked there is no place to put a dish and no signal, I call dish and they tell me my service is on hold due to no payment and I owe $80. I tell them I called two weeks ago for a technician to come out and check line of sight and I was told I need to pay the $80 for the service I was not using before the can send someone out to my new place.

So to get this straight, I called to cancel was told someone would be out to verify and nothing happened. Now Dish wants me to pay $80 for non used service just to send a technician out to verify I can't use the service, is it just me or does this sound like stealing for a customer. The customer service over the phone was horrible, I could barely understand the women due to her lack of English. When I asked to speak to a manager I was told NO every time. I do not recommend DISH to anyone, they do not care about their customers or the reviews they get as a company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been a happy, loyal customer with DISH for many years. Unfortunately, I needed to find a new internet provider and received a better deal bundling with another company. I have been trying to cancel with them for many months, each time a representative notifying me I have hundreds of dollars in credits that I will lose if I cancel. They insisted it would be better if I put the network on pause so that I do not lose the credits and I can return or transfer the credits to someone else opening an account. So I put it on pause and was told I would be notified when the service will be restored. However, I was never notified.

I called today to finally have them cancel the account no matter if they asked me to pause again. My representative told me the account was closed on his end and then stated that I had a balance since services was restored in September much to my disbelief. He asked for my email and stated that this was the email on file that was sent out and that I'm lucky I was given a reminder that most companies don't do that. Most companies don't offer a pause scam either!! So I let it go and went to search my email. Checked everywhere possible, in spam, trash and everywhere in between and did not see this so called email anywhere.

I'm more than certain they can pull up the history to see that I have not used their service in months and they can easily remove this charge. Instead, I'm sitting here wasting my time going from department to department trying to get them to remove the fee. They are extremely dishonest and thieves in my opinion. The last manager I spoke to said "SORRY BUT WE READ YOU THE NONDISCLOSURE AGREEMENT." I did not get an email and I did not know they restoring service. The least they could do is remove the last charge, but as I cancelled the account they are unwilling to help, even though I have been a customer with them for years. I am very disappointed and feel cheated.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

DISH sent me a email for what my bill would be for. It was wrong. I called to resolve the mistake and the thought it was. 2 weeks later they overcharge me $80. I call again and they tell me I have to wait up 10 day before I get my refund. Now this is 1 1/2 to 2 hours of my time wasted because of their screw up. Tried to get some compensation for my wasted because of their mistake. Waste of time. Would never recommend Dish network to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I signed a contract because I wanted to watch an international channel. They stopped showing that channel and now they want to charge me to close the account... VERY DISHONEST company. They can't charge if they change the conditions of the contract. Stay away!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I order Dish Latino for my wife. I searched online and found an offer for Dish Latino with Galavision (Which is what my wife wanted) I ordered and it got installed. When I got home I noticed that there was no Galavision or Univision (the sole reason I ordered). I called Dish to cancel (less than 24 hrs) and they told me that the advertising had not been pulled because they were still "negotiating" with Univision but it was unlikely that Galavision was going to be available, but they were offering a $5.00 discount for not having it.

I told them that I did not want the service because that was false advertising. They told me that I had signed the agreement (I did not) and that they were going to charge me $480.00 for "breaking the agreement". This company clearly advertises Galavision but does not have it, that is wrong and constitutes false advertising and deceitful tactics to hooked consumers into contracts that the consumer does not want.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Dish RV works well when connected but total confusion on their part as far as turning on the system and turning off the system stinks. You talk to someone and half do not have a clue on what you want to do. You get no confirmation numbers (like every other business on the planet) to reference. When you call up to cancel because people in RVs do not live in them 12 months out of the year and you only want to use this when you travel you get no reference number just a person and you wind up getting a bill in the mail because of their lack of procedure. Then you have to talk to someone else who has no clue, can't get hold of the billing department. Very frustrating. In this modern world you would think they could separate RV from the main network. VERY VERY poor business model. We have been dealing with since its innovation of mobile Dish.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The reason I chose Dish Network was because they were able to receive a signal in the middle of nowhere where I was buying my new home... Fast forward I was scammed and paid out to someone that was not authorized to even sell this home to me... Upon leaving I needed to cancel a month after installation. This was not possible without a hefty cancellation fee... It was more cost effective to continue paying on a service that I could not even utilize so I paid until I got into another home. Fast forward two months later I had an incident occur and was charged for a two year period of inactivity. I called to get some kind of reimbursement anything considering 3,600$ is a lot of money to pay on an inactive account but instead I was charged an additional 250$. The first time I wanted out I could not get out. No one cares what is going on and if you sign with them. You are trapped.

I have not had to cancel contracts prior to this. I just had met with some unfortunate luck. It does not matter to them and you do not matter as a customer. That was without mentioning having to ask twice for a supervisor during this conversation the first time the man insinuating he was the supervisor the second time asking getting attitude and then attitude from Peter (if memory serves) that is supposedly a supervisor. He did not have any better customer services skills than the first man. I feel they were both blatantly rude but after this significant loss of mine I got a whole 15$ waiver to get return boxes for equipment.

I have dealt with other internet providers as well as television providers. I have not ever received such poor customer service. I only signed with them because my trusted providers could not get a signal at my original. I regret the decision to ever give them my business and I will not ever make this mistake again. I would rather go without than use their services. Please do not make the same mistake as me. Consumers there are such better providers with better customer service.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have been with Dish Network for well over 12 years. I have been in contact with them about charging me 12.00 a month for local channels that they ARE NOT EVEN PROVIDING because they can't come to an agreement with ABC, NBC, etc. I refuse to pay it, they won't credit it to me, I told them this is considered FRAUD and I told them I will credit my account for the 12.00 when I send my payment in. There has to be something that can be done, DISH NETWORK is always raising rates, DIRECTV IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER TO ME!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We have been Dish customers for 13 years. Last year for a better price we signed a contract of two years, in one year we had to call the technician 3 times and 2 times they never fixed the problem. When I decided to disconnect the service because they were not bring a channel my family watched the supervisor treated me very badly. After 13 years they treated me like they were doing me a favor. Never again will I go back to them. They could have found a compromise.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Our account was overbilled on 27 Sept. 2018. The current month was paid online. Dish then recharged us (without consent and automatically) for the same month as well for the next month, which was 2 1/2 weeks in the future. We were billed twice for the current month. I called Dish and advised them we are on social security, and they would put our bank account in overdraft. They said there was nothing they could do. After many phone calls, over several days, they have said they will refund the next month's amount, as well as one of the double charges. I was misled on several of those phone calls, none of which agreed with each other. The refund process is to take 17 days, and will not begin until it is approved, which takes 4 days.

We have an overdrawn bank account and it is reflected in our credit score. We are now unable to pay other, budgeted, bills. Dish does not care. It is my intention to pursue them legally for the overdraft charges. I am also looking for others who might have had similar experiences, to initiate a class action suit. They are not a reputable business, in my estimation, and I will help that be publicly known. They have committed theft. For resolution, I want full and immediate refund of the overcharged and unauthorized amounts, as well as restoration of my credit rating, along with an explanatory letter accounting for their actions.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I had the hopper upgrade today. The TV works but the HDMI 2, 3 etc do not work. My VCR cannot connect and neither can my fire stick, Wii or iPod dock. They all worked with the old system. Disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I hate the updates every day. Now they are updating both the guides and the network so minute a day they are stealing from every customer every day. How is that legal? If I took an extra ten minutes break at work I would be fired. That's how it should be. At Dish we should be able to fire them due to them stealing our time. We paid for of watching tv. I will never suggest Dish TV to anyone ever. The worst company in the world.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I called to cancel my service because 1) the bill continues to go up, 2) there are two local channels that I haven’t been able to access for almost a month and 3) my equipment is outdated and constantly has to update or load and it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes for me to be able to watch television. The gentleman that I spoke with offered me two different packages that didn’t include the main channel that I watch regularly (Investigation Discovery) even though I had told him at the beginning of the conversation that ID was the main channel that I wanted to keep.

He also stated that he was unable to offer me updated equipment to try to correct the technical problems that I’ve been experiencing... even though I’ve had this same equipment for over five years. When I finally asked firmly what I needed to do to cancel he asked me to hold but after two minutes of being on hold the call was disconnected. I haven’t had a chance to call back in but I plan to call and cancel as soon as I get a time.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I purchased a Polk surround sound system from Dish. After 2 months it stopped working. Dish refused to warranty the product because it had been more than 30 days. My advice do not buy any extra products from Dish. They do not stand behind their product. The Polk literature gives a 3 year warranty and recommends returning defective products to the selling vendor. Dish does not honor the warranty. Very poor business practices.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Had to terminate my contract early because I moved to an apartment complex that charges a huge deposit to have a satellite installed. I can't afford it. I mailed back the equipment in the box and label provided and now they are saying they never received it. If UPS lost it, that's on them -- nothing I can do. Now they are constantly sending me threatening emails saying they are going to automatically deduct all these charges from my debit card and/or bank account. They have no right to do this; I NEVER signed up for automatic payments or agreed to use automatic payments.

Now they are holding my information hostage and I am unable to delete it. This is ILLEGAL. If they want to report this on my credit, then they should have done it. They have no right to steal money out of my account for a service I am no longer using, nor want. I paid for my last month of service and that is enough. Don't do business with these crooks -- they steal your personal financial information and hold it hostage so they can steal money out of your account when you are done with their services. RUN -- don't walk away from DISH TV.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

It is impossible to cancel service. Aunt passed away after several months in assisted living. Numerous phone calls with long wait times to get to a rep. Every Rep. refused to help as we were not on the contract. I would not recommend this company to anybody based on the issues of cancelling simple service. Finally, I got ahold of the installer who informed me to just not pay them. I spent a long time on the phone trying to get them to do the right thing. Nobody should ever use this company for any products.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I had Dish Network for 9 years, was never late on my bill, once. I moved in July of 2016 and put a hold on my service. I actually called to disconnect and they convinced me to keep my service and to put it on hold. Once I moved I found there were trees in my view for the satellites so I could not get service. My service was only on hold for 9 months so they started billing me for service I didn't receive. I called to disconnect and once again they put my service on hold. Now I have a bill for 239.17 for service I never received.

I've called and called and I only get someone that barely speaks English and I was told they would credit my account and they put my service back on hold. I found the outstanding amount on my perfect credit score today. I called and they told me to pay the bill and that was the end of the conversation. I'm being charged for service I never received. ** Dish Network! After 35 years of perfect credit Dish has ruin my credit score for service not received.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have been with Dish for over 8 yrs now and never have I been so disappointed on this corporation, they convinced me to sign a 1 yr contract in order to get a discount, but it was all a task because shortly after they discontinued Univision on the Latino package. I will be leaving them as soon as my contract is up, transferring to DirecTV or Comcast!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

It is very disgusting to have Dish Network service right now if you live in the Madison, WI area and are unable to get the local ABC service, through Channel 27. Because they can't come to an agreement on pricing, their customers suffer. Wondering why they don't give us a credit while they don't provide the service. Very unhappy.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I have had Dish for a year and regret it. Price has went up and now you have removed local channels. I pay my bill on time every month so how about you guys honor your end of the contract. I hope someone sues you greedy big shots for not honoring you contract. I just bought a $59.00 outside antenna at Wal-mart and picked up local channels and the picture is better. I can't wait to cancel when my contract is up.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Have had DirecTV for past 8 years and prices went up so decided to try DISH Network to save money - HUGE MISTAKE!!! The picture quality was so bad I canceled DISH one week after it was install and paid the $480 early termination fee and went back to DirecTV. The DISH Network picture was unwatchable on my new 65" SONY OLED AE1 4K TV - warning to others - if you have a new high quality 4K TV DISH sends their signals using lower bandwidth than DirecTV so picture quality suffers.

BEWARE!!! DISH Network doesn't have a screen saver built into their Hopper like DirecTV so if you pause the program and leave your OLED or Plasma TV turned on, DISH will burn the image into the screen in about 20 - 30 minutes. UNBELIEVABLE INCOMPETENCE - When the DISH technician SAMY ** employee ** came out in first week and said he couldn't improve the picture, that's when I cancelled on the spot and HE TOOK ALL THE EQUIPMENT WITH HIM - including the antenna from the roof.

NOW a few weeks later after I already paid the $480 early termination fee DISH just charged my credit card for the equipment not being returned, SAMY what did you do with the equipment you took from my house? BOTTOM LINE - DISH Network is the worst company to deal with in decades so if you want to waste your time, waste your money, and get REALLY FRUSTRATED, just go ahead and try DISH NETWORK! Needless to say I'm back with DirecTV after throwing away over $500 with DISH Network.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I ordered service because I received a flyer in the US Mail. I was not able to get service due to "no line of site". Dish partnered with the company who mailed out this flyer nationwide. I was charged 49.99 as a fee, which I was promised would be refunded if I was not able to get a satellite signal. The Dish techs came to my home and determined I had "no line of site" and cancelled my order. Now Dish and their partner company do not want to refund my 49.99. Credit card dispute is the only way to get my money back. Disreputable company that partners with disreputable companies.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

A year ago I would have given DISH a 10 star rating. Now... BLAH. This ignorant feuding with our local channels is absurd and unnecessary. Keep our DISH the way it was and offer us to pay for that. Not just "shut off" our local TV stations. We went with their Antenna idea and it brings back my childhood for sure. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Holding the antenna and walking around the room until the picture comes in and then realize you have to stand to watch TV. At least my dad paid me a quarter to hold the antenna as a kid. We live maybe a mile from all of our local TV stations so location is not the issue. The "menu" is really screwed up now also. It shows 3 ABC's, 3 NBC's and no show listings so you have to guess if you want to DVR anything. VERY disappointed... I used to brag and talk so highly of them. Not anymore. Time to figure out what to do next.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Dish. They offer good deals, from time to time you have a few days in which you have access to subscription channels for free. The bill does not go up like it used to do with Time Warner Cable. If you ever have a problem, they fix it fast and efficiently. Customer care is excellent. If I go on vacation, I get to put it on hold easily. I have had Dish for 5 years and love them!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Really disappointed with the way Dish does business. They give you a rate which you agree upon ave then they raise after your "lock in date" ends, not just a little increase like a BIG increase without any notification. Then you all tell me that there's nothing you can do about it until I tell you I want to cancel. How about you all just be upfront about the cost and teach your employees to have better customer service. Then to top it off I get a notification that I will be charged to return my equipment, without being told ahead of time. Extremely bad experience considering I have been an awesome customer that has been with them over 2 years and never late on my bill. Good luck staying in business with the way you treat your customers and the other options that are now available.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I can't believe that the Fall premiere season is starting and I have no local channels because the bigwigs at DISH and CBS/NBC can't negotiate a contract. Really? And by the way, why am I still being charged $12/month for local channels that I don't have. What a rip off! So unfair to all of us stuck in the middle. Hope you're happy corporate giants as you both point the finger at the other guy rather than solve the problem.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs