DISH Network

DISH Network Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

5991 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was told I could sign up for a 30 day trial, NOPE! After the first 30 days I decided I didn't like it, tried to cancel it and they told me I signed a 2 year contract that I don't remember signing, and it will cost over $400 to cancel! Asked them to suspend the services and they did... for $5 a month and guess what, the months that it’s suspended do not count toward the 24 month contract! So after the suspension is lifted it starts ware it left off! I have several reasons for wanting to cancel it besides the outrageous cost and poor customer service! I hope this prevents at least a few from getting sucked into this scam! If I could rate 0 stars I would, but this won't let me!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been with Dish for 18 years. But I am getting older and am on disability. I tried to get a less expensive package and got talked into the Hopper with Sling and a Super Joey. I have had nothing but problems for an entire year and they will not give me back the 722RViP DVRs I used to have. Now they say if I pay extra money out of pocket to upgrade to the Hopper 3 that all will be well, but that's what they said about the Hopper with Sling and Super Joey. I think they lost all of their programmers for some reason and have had to hire from some vo-tech school in some foreign country. The glitches on this DVR should be an easy fix, but I'm afraid I am not dealing with the Dish Network of 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago.

This is a new animal that has no respect for individual customer and people in general. They respect how much the board members make off of us. It is time to gather some young people around us and looking into streaming services like Amazon's Fire Stick combined with whatever service gets me the network channels. My brain doesn't work as well as it used to, but it works well enough to know Dish Network doesn't care about me as a customer anymore and doesn't care enough to hire and train competent customer support representatives or even adequate software programmers.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

3 international channels are eliminated and no longer on the Dish network programming, therefore, $10.00 was credit. Now they do not want to process $10.00 but roll over my bill. They increase the price the way they want. No government barriers!!! On top of that if I don't upgrade I will not get this credit. Therefore, the company is forcing me to upgrade if I want this $10.00 credit. This point is not mentioned anywhere in the contract. This is not fair to the consumer. I am urging to government bodies to please look at this company so consumer can get fair treatment. instead of ripping us off all the time.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have just 8 more months to go with this 2 yr. contract. I spent over 2 hours on the phone when I signed for this 2 yr agreement with DISH. I was PROMISED a set price 163.00 a month. 3 months later the price went up by 10.00. I called customer service and was told the "FREE PROTECTION" ran out. (Kind of like insurance for the equipment). Oh hell no, I never agreed to this. This should have been said in the beginning, included in the price quote. Again a month later ANOTHER ADDED CHARGE!!! I have been fighting with billing this whole time.

They NICKLE and DIME you, with these petty charges. 2 hours on the phone comparing, phone, internet and cable. I just found out I have no long distance calling ability! There is no way I would ever accept this - I rent rooms of 4 them. It's my source of income!!! With all these cell phones and out of state area codes. DISH is NOT GOING TO MESS WITH MY INCOME! I CUT the phone and internet with DISH. This packaged deal was not working. Since Nov and the cut in service of phone and internet. Monthly billing is CRAZY. Nov. I was billed 46.00. Mid Nov I went back to check my billing. The ADDED - 64.89. so I paid it. and called billing.

They couldn't SEE why this happened. Nor could they tell me what my new bill would be with just the cable part??? In Dec. 2018 - I am given credit! 4.37. No way in hell! I called. Yes!!! It's a credit! I overpaid in Nov! The billing department overcharged me! I don't TRUST THEM! Questioned them about this credit. What? NEXT MONTH you're going to OVERCHARGE ME!!! I was promised my bill Jan. Bill would only be about 70.00 because of the credit 4.37.

WRONG WRONG!!! On the 7th of Jan, I paid the bill of 105.00. I just got an email stating I owe another 80? This has been going on since Nov. 2018. 3 months no one knows what to charge me. I get these charges and I PAY THEM! GET CREDIT! And GET OVERCHARGED. Don't TRUST THESE PEOPLE. They have these agents, who just read off the computer screens. They can't tell you WHY these charges are happening. They give you promises. They CAN'T SEE the source of the billing problem. Yes, we are in the billing department area. They are just customer service folks reading off a screen - CLUELESS to fix any problem, to even look into the problem. They expect me to pay my bill after month whatever charge they decided. Get YOUR CABLE from some OTHER COMPANY!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have been with Dish a long time. They liked to increase their prices at times in my service and I have to call and they reduce their fees. Today broke the camel's back, I always pay on time. Sent their check in 12/17/18 say they never got. They should notify you. All I saw was on screen service interrupted - "Contact your provider". Very impersonal especially if you have people at your home watching tv while you get this message. Their service reps are hard to understand and programs available are not worth the monthly fee. We end up renting movies from Red Box. I cancelled my service today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My mom signed up for Dish. She just wanted some cable but they don't tell elderly people what's in the contract knowing that the elderly is on a budget and the bank was no help. They say they send you a letter 10 days before take the money out but they did not send that letter. Crooked and underhanded. How low and dirty will they go along with the bank.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We have been with Dish for almost 20 year, and have never had any problem, except when the system gets too old and they won't support it anymore, but the new systems always worked like they were supposed to, till my wife got talked into this latest system, constant pixelization, even when the sky are clear, and frequently the audio isn't in sync with the video. Very annoying, and then sometimes you lose audio completely, and the only way to get it back is to reset the unit. Usually it does this after you have time saved up so you don't have to deal with all the stupid commercials, which is the only reason to have the hopper. Anyhow, so you lose all the time you have set up, and their stupid nightly updates.

I'll leave it paused to save up time and go get online and come back to find they updated the system and I lost all the time I had saved up. We have called the numerous times about these problems and each time they tell us to unplug the receiver, which helps for a couple days then all the problem come back. I never had these problems with any of our other Dish units. There is supposed to be a technician coming out tomorrow to look at. If it isn't done right I'm going to send it all back. I'll close my account if I have to so they can't steal my money for their POS system!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I called to have them come out to my new residence to remove a dish from the previous owner. The first time I called them and went through the whole number punching menu and when I explained what I needed they gave me a number that was no longer in service. So I called back and after several individuals I was connected to a customer service rep who after hearing what I was requesting told me they could not assist me. He stated that the previous owner was the only one who could request that the dish be removed. When I asked him to pull up the address he did and then told me to give him the 4 digit code. Then he said, "See there is nothing I can do to help you." He told me to call a local outlet so I did and they told me that it would be a charge of 100.00 to come and remove it. I felt that they have terrible customer service and now I would never use them or their service.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have the regular Dish receiver. I’ve always used the timers. The timers don’t work now. I’ve reset it over and over trying to fix it. I set the timers but they don’t work. When they do, they say unknown. They want me to pay for the new smart receiver.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

MUST READ: this is absolutely the worst service ever! I ordered 3 boxes for every room. I get home and realized that I had only gotten one for the living room. Next I noticed I didn’t get the channels that have asked for. I spoke with a representative and still got charged to switch to the channels I asked for. Ridiculous! Then...few months later they removed some channels that I actually watched. I don’t have a year with Dish and my box receivers stops working. I GET CHARGED again! Don’t waste your time. They do a lot of things without your authorization!!! And still want to charge you if you want to cancel if it’s not within the 24 months. WORST SERVICE IN MY LIFE.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Was tricked into a 2 year contract for programming that was not what I requested. After being treated rudely by service rep form company I canceled my service. Was charged penalty. Don't believe anything these people tell you. After you are in their so called "contract" their attitude completely changes. Was told to get a lawyer if I wanted to hear their recorded phone calls. Beware!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Please do not sign up for this service! I was offered this service through Dish. Was told by the Dish representative that I had a 30 day free trial and I could disconnect if not satisfied at anytime during the 30 day period. This guarantee was also reiterated by the guy doing the installation. Well guess what??? Was told by the HughesNet rep that no such 30 day trial existed and that if I wanted to cancel the service it would be a $400 early termination fee. Was completely deceived by dish and by HughesNet about this. So now I'M stuck with crappy speeds to do my work from home with. My hotspot with AT&T is way faster. Do not waste your money with this company!!! I wish I would have paid more money with a local service than 'bundled' my service with them through Dish. We live in the country and cannot get cable or DSL or this wouldn't even have been an option. Good luck!!! Use someone, anyone else!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I received email that I signed up for some sort of premium support. I did not ask for this nor do I want it but saw addition $10 on bill. Also was charged for a movie package I did not ask for nor did I want! In fact I told them from day 1, "DO NOT ADD ANY SORT OF PROMOTIONAL CHANNELS AT ALL as I heard it can be tough to remove them". Keep an eye on your bill people!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I called customer service 5 time to get help with the damage done by the install tech. Each time I called and explained the situation I was transferred back to the customer service number and put back into the queue. I tried the chat function on the website and was told that my only option was the customer service number that had already failed for me. I give this evaluation only one star because I have to give it one star in order to give an evaluation. I would caution anyone thinking of Dish to go elsewhere. This company is NOT worth your business.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

This is the worst ABSOLUTE WORST TV service. I sadly have 11 more months or I would have canceled months ago. After service call after service call, our DVR cuts programs in half, so you only get to see half of the programming, every single time. If that’s the case, I should pay half the service. Not something I want to deal with after a day of work, all I want is to be able to watch the whole episode or movie I RECORDED. Also, it will randomly cut to live TV while I am watching DVR. At least 3 times each movie or show. This is a joke of a TV service company. You won’t be receiving my business after these 11 months. I’ve called several times and they “solved the issue” when in reality, it stopped for one day then continued again. Please, save your money. And no, I don’t live in the woods or the country area.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

After only having DISH for a little over a month I called customer service. First I was on hold 46 minutes. Selected new service. Was transferred being assured I'd get a person, held for 12 minutes. Called new service again. Was on hold 6 minutes then given another number. Finally talked to customer service. I asked why I don't have a channel. I was told I would have, they don't carry the channel. Question 2 where is the Google mini I was promised that would ship 2 weeks after installation, it takes 6/8 weeks was reply. Asked where is the 100.00 gift card, "You'll need to call another number for that." Bottom line if you're thinking of getting DISH my suggestion is DON'T!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I did research and decided I wanted to switch my tv cable service to Dish. Upon calling the sales dept, we went thru all of the steps to set it up. When the salesperson tried to pull my credit, he wasn't doing something right and attempted to pull it numerous times. He was never able to get my score which is 813. I spoke to a supervisor named Shawn and someone named Eddie in the resolution department and I was told because he attempted to pull it too many times I am locked out of their computer system for 90 days. I find it very hard to believe that there isn't someone in the IT department or someone who cannot override this computer problem or do something to resolved this issue that was created by their employee! When you have excellent credit you expect to not have any issues, but when it comes to Dish - Wrong! I am very disappointed with their customer service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I had to wait over a half hour to cancel my service. That's a ridiculous amount of time to spend on hold. They wasted more time trying to talk me out of canceling. They make it very difficult to cancel your service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Yes I receive my bill on the first. I guess it was due to the shutdown of the government or at the holidays and this morning my cable went off. I received some mail in the mail on the 1st. I looked at the mail and it said my bill was due on the 2nd so they really didn't give me no time to even pay the bill and I call and explain it to them and they told me they would not return it back on until the $96 and something was paid. I don't think that's where you treat a customer. I had nothing to do with the mail or the shutdown and no one seems to. I want to work this out. Can I file a complaint with the with customer affairs see if I can get some justice?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I give this review a 2 stars only because the Dish system is far better than DirecTV which I dropped after 11 years. I signed up with Dish under the guise that I would get many free things, like HBO. NO ONE said while I was signing up that they no longer offered HBO because of a dispute. Isn’t this considered a bait and switch? I asked for some added compensation, maybe offer Starz for an additional few months... No go! I feel this is extremely unfair, thus the review.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I wanted to save some money by using this company for my entertainment service. Man was I shafted! Service was installed summer of 2018 after moving into a new home. A week later found out that the receiver needs to be restarted daily and if you don't use the remote that comes with the receiver it will ask you where the heck is the remote. DirecTV does not restart daily but does things in the background just like service is suppose to be not interrupt the customer from watching TV.

Ok on to the next couple of weeks after the second service call and same darn thing tech said it was fixed but got same garbage over again. Then the next service call same thing. This time the service tech replaced just about everything minus the dish and the cable. So long story short I called customer service twice after those service calls and talked to a manager to terminate the service without a fee. Now I am sitting on a freaking bill that was sent to a collection agency. So stay far away from this company very far.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

The customer service is shotty too. We only been with Dish 2 months. They don't want to fix ** so we are done waiting on our boxes to send this crap back and we will not pay for crap. They refuse to help with anything. No help at all. ** you Dish network.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We were using Dish for over 20 years with a 1 year gap. Called initially to see if we qualified for any incentives, we were more or less told to pound sand? I then called back to cancel and spoke with Derick ** after attempting to interrogate me being extremely rude. I asked to speak to supervisor, no such luck. A transaction that should have taken a few minutes dragged out for 28 minutes. He apologized at the end of our conversation for being aggressive. Please think twice before signing with them. There are better options.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The hard drive in my Hopper box stopped working. This was obvious as I continually received that error. I called customer service and went through all of the resets with them, even though it was obvious what the outcome would be. The person from the call center was not interested in assisting with my technical issue. He just kept pushing that I needed to “upgrade to Hopper with Sling.” I was not interested in upgrading but he wouldn’t allow me anything else. “It’s free... We’ll it's only 3 dollars more... so it’s free.” I told him I wanted another box like the one I already have and he said I’d just have the same problem. Oh I will? Cool, then you’ll just send me another one.

He asked for my credit card to verify... which felt fishy and I hung up based on the guy just being really pushy. Basically it took me a few minutes to realize this guy was just pushing a new service by saying I would have to upgrade. “It’s basically free and only requires an additional 3 year commitment.” Went online today and opened a chat window. I have a new box coming in a few days. I didn’t have to give them a card number (I knew that was wrong), and it took 2 minutes. Don’t call if you don’t have to.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

This is one of the worst companies to deal with after you have closed your account. Everything that has happened to me since I closed the account, is due to Dish themselves. From Me having to call 4 times to get the boxes they promised to send me, so I can return their equipment, to having a credit on my account & not being given that credit now, due to them reopening my account without my permission, to begging them to send the boxes because I knew they would try to charge me for the equipment, and then the email came stating exactly that.

Every time I had to call and talk with customer service, you could tell Dish trained them well in apologizing, but not ever correcting their mistakes... They literally told me they could not override their computer, and thus, brought me to their internal collections for nonreturned equipment. Let me tell you folks, that when I finally received the boxes, it took only two weeks turnaround time for me to ship and them to receive, but they still managed to turn me into collections.

Let me be perfectly clear here folks, they took my money, every month, I was never late and had this account for several years, & then they managed to turn my name into mud due to their lack of not knowing what the right & left hands are doing. I am beyond frustrated and sad that this is how things ended. I wish Dish's Executive Team members would really read those surveys that they send out... P.S.If I had more space to tell you all the horror I went through, but don't let the 2 star rating fool you, I believe in being honest, and for the good TV I received, they get that rating!!! Only for the TV, Nothing else!!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I signed on Sept 20th. The remote worked great for 1 week then wouldn't shut off tv at night. The tv's been on 24/7 ever since. I call nightly to complain and they've tried to fix it without much luck. Once in a while it works, but regularly. The only way to turn off tv is to cut the power. Why have a remote then? Mgmt said just go out and buy a remote. Why. I'm on fixed income and can't do that. Remote’s design is flawed with important button on side that if pushed screw up the tv also. Pay good $$ for their service and get treated like crap. Shouldn't have to call daily for tech support, if it's broken fix or replace it.

Also they keep cancelling stations due to contract issues and because they put in their contracts with consumers that they’re not responsible and can do whatever they want without recourse by us were screwed legally too. Can't sue for breach of conduct cause they tell you upfront they can do whatever they want. If you get fed up and want out they punish you by charging $20 mo for each month left on your contract. For me that's $440 to get out and find a better service. The moment I'm closer to only having to pay $60 I'm quitting and getting a streaming service and to hell with Dish. DONT EVER SIGN UP WITH DISH. Keep what you have or stream it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I feel that Dish goes up every time it can, regardless of what it says. We are over 70 and on a budget. We have certain channels we like and unfortunately most of them are only carried on the most expensive package. There are about 250 channels that we are not interested in. If we could only pay for the ones that we like, it would be ideal. I know that is not possible. I wish we had a way of getting the channels we like and get rid of the junk programs.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Great customer support and programming. Could be a little less expensive but you get what you pay for. I have been a customer of Dish Network for over 13 years and will continue to be for many years to come.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Cable is expensive. Period. We love Westerns and sadly the ONLY option is Dish Encore Western Channel which requires a minimum purchase, plus several misc. charges. Hubs likes College Sports. We added two action packs to our service only to find that the Games we THOUGHT would appear were sporadic at best at an additional $25 per month! We feel like we are stuck. Pay for Dish or NO Western channel. If someone has an alternative we would be willing to listen.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Too many repeat channels, too much sport t.v., same movies all the time, needs to fix weather channel so we can get information on weather like Cable tv has. But Dish has wonderful western shows, all the shopping channels.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs