DISH Network
2.28/5
Based on 566 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

DISH Network Reviews

5759 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

The NV State Contractor Board came to my home to assess a problem I have. They informed me the installation done by DISH was incorrectly done and DISH knew better. When I contacted DISH and asked them if they would please come out to correct the WIRING situation, they said they didn’t care. They went on to say, they have no responsibility for installation whatsoever!

Original review: June 19, 2018

The DISH Network allowed someone to open an account using my SS# even though they used their own name which is different than mine. Clearly there was no process in place to check if the SS# belonged to this individual. The account that they open is delinquent and it is now on my credit report. I am trying to get this fixed but DISH has been completely unhelpful. They do not have anyone on staff that seems to be able to help.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Despite the bad reviews, at the beginning I was quite happy with Dish. However, after a couple of months the TVs stopped working and the antenna had an issue. I called Dish and they told me that a tech must go to take care of the issue since they couldn't do anything remotely. I had to pay $95.00 for the tech to come and fix the issue, soon after 3 weeks it broke again and I called and they told me that it will be another $95.00 for them to come and fix the same issue. Therefore, I decided to obtain the cheapest package and just pay a monthly fee without TV because it was less than paying a cancellation fee.

DISH SUCKS! No one on the other side apologized for the interrupted service instead they tell you. "You should have gotten the monthly tech support service" which is 10.00 every month. My contract ends next month and I am so happy that I will no longer have to talk to these guys. BUT PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE; read and do not ignore the reviews.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Subscribed to DISH in June 2011. Autopay, Mid-Line Channel Line Up. Had several equipment issues requiring returns and replacements. Never received billing credits for lost service times. Tonight waited 90 minute X 2 for disconnected calls to their customer service line, plus one online chat which took 18 minutes to connect and the foreign based agent could not offer a solution (on error code 981). Evidentially they programmed a complicated computer upgrade of services that destroyed service for all too many, no notice and support, their online support didn't fix the issues. When I did reach a very helpful agent he offered me a $40.00 credit to my bill for next 12 months. Just so disgusted and exhausted, I said no and cancelled. 7yrs never a late payment on autopay, also paid for service agreement and was treated poorly. Perhaps this is the wave of the future but decided to shop elsewhere.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with this sorry company and have, today, been on hold with tech support for hours on end with no answer. Any cable or satellite provider would have to be preferable to DISH. The minute I can get someone to answer the damn phone I’m canceling my service which is basically no service at all. Doesn’t work half the time and can’t get anyone on the phone to help. The worst service ever! There should be a law against them staying in business. Ugh!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: June 15, 2018

We have had for 2 yrs which was a act of Congress with missed appts and wrong address. Scheduled a appt today, took off work and they still had wrong address. Now they are scheduling another and refuse to do it next day! This is the worst ever! Go somewhere else! It’s one lie after another and they don’t care about the customer.

Original review: June 15, 2018

As a new Dish customer, I have had nothing but tech problems. The service goes OUT every night and stays off for several minutes (apparently for updating their programming), which they never told me about beforehand. I have tried calling customer service and always have a WAIT TIME of MORE than 35 minutes!!! Right now, I have NO picture on one of my TVs but a GREAT picture on the other! This company is FOULED UP like a soup sandwich. I hope and pray that they go out of business, and the sooner the better!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

You can't get just the channels you want. Buy a package and pay for channels you never watch. Price keeps going up. Customer service sucks. I absolutely hate dealing with them. One of my set top boxes died. I did all of the logical stuff: TV works fine with another box, box does not work on another TV. Tried different cable. Box is obviously dead. Called support; on hold for 45 minutes. Rep insisted that I try all the same stuff. Turn it off and on, try different cable, make sure the TV works with another device, try box on a different TV. Another 30 minutes and same results. Transfers me to an "engineer", on hold again. Engineer asked me to power off and on, try different HDMI port, make sure the TV works, try box on another TV... same stuff again.

Now I am almost 2 hours into this support call. "Engineer" finally agrees that box is dead. He says I can either pay $95 for a service call or buy their protection plan. I say "NO", and tell him to cancel my account. He says, "Please hold." Comes back and tells me he was able to get me a reduced service call price of $47.50. I say, "NO, just cancel the account." Put on hold again. He comes back and says he was able to get the entire service call fee waived. I say, "Ok, if they fix it I will keep Dish." Then he says first available appointment is 5 days out. Bottom line is it took me about 2.5 hours to get them to schedule a service call for a box I knew was dead before I called them.

Original review: June 12, 2018

DO NOT BUY POLK SOUND SYSTEM FROM DISH! It is a ripoff. After 2 weeks my husband called because the system would go out after 10 minutes. Dish said call Polk. We did and they told us it was a power cord -- they would send one. Three weeks later, they did and guess what -- it did not help! Now Polk said call Dish. It will never work on our TV because we cannot shut off the TV sound. Dish says their warranty is only 30 days although Polk says 90 -- so now we are stuck with 500.00 worth of crap!!!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have been with DISH since 8/18/2018. I opened the account paying 49.00 for two years guaranteed. They started billing me 60.00 shortly then it went up. I got it down to 53.00 by going on the flex pack which means I lost half of my package. I spent three hours on the phone 2 months ago with a shark trying to get it down. Now it is back up to 64.00. I am sure you know what is going on because so many people I know have trouble... MY QUESTION TO YOU IS WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I thought the salesman was nice. He offered us a great price for the same service we had with DirecTV. I asked him twice if we would have the same channels and he said yes twice. My husband also asked if he would have the Southwest Sports Houston Astros. and he said yes again. I DO NOT have any of the premium channels I had and my husband does not have his Astros channel. BEWARE! If the offer sounds too good to be true it is.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We recently canceled DISH, now for the last 2 weeks we have not been getting our favorite channels. I have called three times and all they say is, "You have to call a tech." Well I am moving in three days so why would I call a tech now? They know that we are moving then. This has never happened before, I have been with DISH for 3 years now, and all of a sudden we are having trouble getting our favorite channels. I told them that I think they are doing this on purpose and the girl said no they can't do that, but I know that they can. I used to build these boxes and they can get into your TV through these boxes. I have to pay an early cancellation fee of $255.00. I think that I should not have to pay this for the service that we have been given these last two or more weeks. We have been treated very unfairly. We are so mad that we can't watch our shows. This company needs to be investigated to the fullest. Thank you.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have had DISH Network for about 20 years. I am missing my two local channels and only thing I hear is them talking about money. They're not even bringing up the customer and the service to the customer. However after all these years I've never been hung with a crazy contract like these Jokers have now. They are not going to let you cancel one way the other they're holding a gun to their employee's head I guess. My contract is over in October I already have my box and I'm sending all their crap back to them. They're even telling you on TV to go down to RadioShack and get you a local antenna which is bull crap. Paying what you do these Jokers I can't believe that they're telling you to go get your own antenna.

I think the whole thing is a joke and ridiculous. However if my so-called contract's up I'm canceling for good. Not just with DISH but any of these Jokers. They charge too much and they're just a rip-off. Especially DISH. Draw your own conclusion. You would be better off there go to RadioShack and buy you a little antenna and get three or four channels at least wouldn't cost you but $14. On TV I hear him say this over and over and over again to go buy your own antenna. So when I get through with these Jokers that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Before signing up for Dish we asked everyone we spoke with at Dish and the installer if we should be concerned about signal loss. Everyone told us Dish did not have signal loss any longer due to signal and dish improvements. Our experience has not been up to their assurances. We have discovered that if we are in a weather alert area we will probably lose the signal. Thank heavens we have a cell phone to monitor the approaching Weather and Tornado alerts.

Original review: June 6, 2018

The two year price guarantee does not exist. They charge random amounts for their services without rationale. The customer service department bounces you around but you cannot find someone that is accountable or even has a logical answer. They require your credit card to begin service then they charge whatever they want. The company voided our agreement in the first 4 months by increasing the bill to more than the two year price guarantee amount. When I refused to pay the increase they cancelled service and charged me an early cancellation fee and immediately withdrew that amount from my account. Very expensive lesson that you can avoid by NOT subscribing to this service. Customer service representatives laugh at your predicament and transfer you to their supervisor who does the same. Do not get fleeced by this company.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have no issues with service but I have price lock and service has never changed. My monthly billing varies by $5, $10, $15, and amounts in between every month... It makes no sense and I have to keep a total going to make sure the end amount isn't more than it should be. Nobody cares about a dollar or 2 from taxes or month length but this makes no sense to me and is the reason for 4 stars. Anyone know why this is done? My credit card company has contacted me about this because of fraud protections which is inconvenient.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I am a disabled person who receives a monthly income trying to have some kind of TV services for some kind of entertainment here in my home. I set myself up with DISH Network Service in the beginning of 2018 when I spoke to the people or person on the phone they quoted me one price for 12 months of $85.75. As the months continue I was slowly getting charged extra money $0.48 here and then it jumped up to a dollar and $0.68 extra. I contacted them on the phone and they told me that that was due to some kind of taxes which didn't make sense to me but okay I rented a movie on the 20th of May. When I rented this movie the first station that I rented it from did not work so I contacted the company and explain to them what was going on. The customer service worker at that time informed me that she would refund me the money and that I needed to reorder the movie on another station which was considered as on demand

I said okay and ordered the movie. A week or two later I noticed that they had charged me for two movies so I contacted Dish Network Services again. Spoke to another customer service worker and he told me, "Sorry for the inconvenience. We going to refund you for the first movie that did not show correctly and charge you only for the one that did it work correctly." I get my bill on June 4th and I noticed that I'm being charged more money. I contact Dish Network Services and a spoke with a customer service worker. He explained to me that the move both movies were non-refundable so I asked him to let me speak with a supervisor because I explained to him the same thing that I just wrote in this message

The supervisor then informed me that she was not going to refund the money because it's non-refundable for the movies. I explained to her that I spoke to two different customer service workers and told me that that would be referred it for the services that did not work correctly. I continue to speak with the supervisor and explain to her that this is wrong. I told her I explained to her that I'm disabled. I don't have money to be paying your extra and if this was part of the services when I spoke to the two different customer service workers on two different occasions at two different times they should explain that to me.

And why did the first lady first customer service worker tell me that, "I'll refund you and reorder the movie" when she should have known that neither one of the movies were refundable so I feel like I got ripped off and I don't appreciate it. They're not the services are not good services and it's not fair especially to people who really can't afford this but trying to have comforts of home but have any services why take advantage of people. I pray for those who are on or have this Dish Services especially the ones that are disabled elderly trying to have some type of entertainment in their homes and being ripped off. This company is a rip-off. Do not get Dish Network Services because they are a rip-off.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I was charged 91.00 after cancelling my service and turning in my equipment. These people are lying thieves. They literally charged me when I did not live in the house. Had terminated service and had no equipment. I was with them for 15 years. Dont get caught in their trap. Horrible service. Horrible people.

Original review: June 1, 2018

After having to hold for 45 minutes, I was verbally accosted and had to basically argue with Patrick in Texas and defend my determination to cancel service. He went round and round trying to convince me that I should put my service on hold and use it when I move to California. I stated I was not interested numerous times and he proceeded to go on and on about $40 off and (like he knows) that the service can be used at my new location because they are a satellite service. I stated that we need to move on to the cancellation since I am not going to continue service no matter what, and he stated that he "just needs to do his job" and proceeded in trying to convince me not to cancel. Finally, he put me on hold because this is "a process", which took another 15 minutes. The customer service is non existent. If I were to get cable service again, I would definitely remember the exit treatment I had and would NEVER get DISH again.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Took me four hours, FOUR HOURS, to cancel my service. We have a new provider and I was given the run around by three different "customer service" agents who said I couldn't cancel until we 'unbundled' our account from HughesNet. I called HughesNet and they said they could not unbundle because the 'promotion was over.' Got hold of a 'specialist' who was obviously a specialist at trying to convince people not to cancel, and he warned me that DirecTV was being sued and would be out of business soon.

The second to last person I talked with literally said he "couldn't cancel my service." I said, "I am the customer, and you must." He said he would have to cancel both services. I told him, "Will call the Better Business Bureau and I will sue you." To which he said, "I will transfer you to the office of the President!!!" My did I feel special. Suddenly a cheerful woman who I'm quite sure was sitting right next to the president of DISH Network said, "Oh you want to cancel your TV service? Yes, we can do that... Lalalala... No worries, isn't life fun? Is there anything else I can do for you?" I said, "Please tell the President, who I am sure is sitting right next to you, that I am outraged at all the time I have wasted trying to get this done." Just amazing 21st century. WTF.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I called a couple of months ago to try and cancel our Dish network and the customer service lady was nice enough and I ended up just downgrading our services for by over $66. But after figuring out that we couldn’t get to our Netflix account through our Hopper we decided to contact Dish to troubleshoot. Long story short the technicians that my husband and I talked with via telephone and web chat were helpful and told us that the Netflix error was an ongoing issue that the Engineering Team was working on and we would just have to wait. They ran system checks on our Hopper and tried everything they could do to get it working. Later that evening we decided that since we couldn’t use a service that we were already paying for that we would just cancel Dish. Basically we decided that we were done. So we called customer service and after a 20 minute wait period we were connected to a representative, Robert.

After telling Robert that we wanted to cancel our services and the main reason that led us to this decision what the issue with Netflix he proceeded to tell us that all we needed was a new Hopper; not understanding that we didn’t want that he proceeded to tell me that he had never heard of the Netflix issue and that it was not Dish’s fault that it wasn’t working properly. He said that he had the newest Hopper at his house and he watches Netflix through it all the time and never has a problem. I told him that’s fine but it’s not working on my Hopper and he said that if I would just let him send a technician out it would fix everything. He continued to talk over me to the point that I had to go outside and continue the conversation because I was afraid that I was yelling at him so loudly I was going to wake up my 2 year old. He just wouldn’t or couldn’t understand that we had done everything to fix the issue and just wanted to service cancelled.

When I asked to speak with his supervisor he asked, "Why do you need to speak to my supervisor." It was the worst experience I have ever had with Dish. I was so angry I just wanted to hang up and not deal with it, but I was determined to get my service cancelled. Once I was with his supervisor the only thing he kept doing was trying to sell me on more services. They need to understand that if a customer wants to cancel they shouldn’t need a reason other than the customer wants to cancel.

Like someone else said if I would have stopped paying my bill they would have been quick to terminate my services but when I wanted to cancel MY services it was unacceptable. Robert was rude and very unprofessional, he belittled me, talked down to me and kept interrupting me. I work in customer service and I usually have the patience for their sales gimmicks but tonight they took it too far. If I want something cancelled just do it. Don’t argue with me. For being “ranked #1 in customer service in the country” they sure don’t act like it. Please save yourself and don’t even sign on with them.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been a LOYAL customer for 11 years. Recently, I called due to issues with my service... During that call I was offered a Preferred Customer deal where I can save $25.00 a month for TWO YEARS, can save $5 more for autopay, but upon checking my bill I am NOT saving the $25 I was promised. Contacting DISH is pointless due to blatant lies I keep getting told. You give your loyalty, but don't get the same in return! I'm seriously looking into joining one of their competitors, as this is INEXCUSABLE!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Been a customer since 2012 and decided to cancel my service. I can do anything online with this company except cancel service. Now am on hold going on minute 37 on an estimated 26 minute wait time. Since they want to waste my time I will spend the time writing negative reviews until they come on the phone and take care of my business. Let me not pay my bill and they can cut me off automatically but to voluntarily want to cancel and they make it almost impossible.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have never been upset enough to write a review on a company before. I just spent almost 30 minutes on the phone with an idiot. He was cruel, belittling, and just plain mean. He yelled at me, told me how dense I was for wanting to cancel Dish Network. If I would have been a timid person or challenged with anxiety, I would have cried and hung up. Nobody should be treated that way. If this is how companies that have service subscription based customers treat someone that doesn't want their service any longer, then someone needs to step in. I am beyond disgusted. Don't you people have monitoring on your representatives? If he was in an office setting, someone had to have heard his language towards me and the yelling. Where was his supervisor? Do you pay them bonuses if they can bully customers from leaving? I will never NEVER use dish again. Just disgusting.

Original review: May 27, 2018

We had Dish network for four years, simply because we are in a rural area and it was either Dish or DirecTV and we already had the Dish satellite dish. Service wasn't that great and they charged an arm and a leg for it. Service went out anytime it snowed or stormed. We are moving to an area where there are a lot better options and called to cancel... what an ordeal! It was a half hour long phone call. Turns out, we should've called to cancel a long time ago, because they offered it to us for literally less than half the price we were paying and NO CONTRACT! I kept telling the guy that I really just wanted to cancel and I don't want to hear about his offers. He kept putting me on hold for lengthy amounts of time then coming back with better offers. Bottom line, the service isn't good, it's ridiculously expensive for what they offer and they make it very difficult to cancel. I won't be going with Dish or recommending it in the future.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Moved to North Carolina in April, the 12th. Had an appt for Dish to install my furniture. Did not arrive, I was told the furniture would arrive the following week. This went on for 2 more times. Each time I called prior to my appt. Well my furniture finally showed up yesterday. And today I find out Dish canceled my appt and said it was for frequent cancellation. No warning, no phone call just a email the night before. Another large company taking advantage of a senior citizen. I am 70 years old and I slept on the floor for 45 days and now another company is pushing me aside. Their response "there is nothing I can do." Tired of these people disregarding the elderly.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I was with Dish since 2002 and very pleased. It was first installed on the right back corner of my home on a pole. After about 3 years I began to have signal problems. I called them and they sent a tech out who said the dish needed to be moved for better signal. They move it to the front center of my yard. It stayed the for 3 years and again began to have problems. They again move it to the left back side of my home. Again 3 years later we began having signal problems. Called again. They again wanted to move it. This time back to the right side of my yard to the front corner on the county line. I told them I did not believe the county would allow it and I am tired of it being moved. I wanted to cancel. They are making me pay for cancellation. DON'T GET CAUGHT IN THEIR TRAP.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I called to get pricing information. They would not give any information unless I gave my address and social security number. I politely declined and tried to end the conversation. She said she could give information with just my address. I gave it to her. She put me on hold. Another person came on the phone telling me there are special deals for first time callers, he needs my social security number. Again I explained I was just looking for information. He became very angry and rude and hung up on me. (?) Guess I'll give my money to another company.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I own a rental home and the renter call Dish Network. Dish Network installer bolted a dish to the $8,500 roof. Putting four holes in the roof. I remove the dish. Patch the holes up temporarily. Hired a roofer. Had the roof repaired. Sent pictures to Dish Network of the damage, the bill and the repaired roof. They told me that they weren't responsible. Nobody contacted me the actual owner of $189,000 home to see if it was okay for Jim**, Billy ** idiot Dish Network installer to bolt a freaking dish to the roof. I suggest Dish Network changed their policy so that they have in writing signed by the actual property owner before the installer destroys roof. Just my opinion and a person that had to pay to fix the roof.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My satellite was initially installed improperly and as I had problems I contacted the techs to inform. They detected the problems and requested a technician come to resolve, eventually, after persuasion. I had the so so services for over a year and when the system went haywire, ie guide didn't match the channels, channels completely disappeared, etc. they ran the diagnostics then told ME to look at the satellite to detect if I needed a tech. I informed I'd just looked and had no idea so go ahead and make the request. I also informed that my son was thinking about connection in his room. The tech also informed me I needed my Joey replaced in my room and that it should be the new one like my son's. He informed of the differences in function.

When the tech shows up, he installs the Joey but has no order or information about the satellite problems. He only became aware of the issue because I asked what caused the problem. (Not securely installed) Since he wasn't aware of the main concern I questioned if he replaced the one in my bedroom. Again he had no communication. I informed of previous conversations with techs, (plural due to dropped call). He inform that he could not upgrade w/o a service order even though his service order hadn't even mentioned the primary concern with satellite. Ugh!

When I called to voice the confusion I was transferred to a supervisor who repeatedly gave that stock, "I understand..." spiel while trying to add additional charges to my contract of yet another service/product that is poorly installed, not what the original agreements were, (upgrades), have no internal communications, and are clueless about the need to keep their consumer happy. Gone are the days of good products and decent services; The reasons they attempt to bind you in contracts to begin with. Maybe this next generation will recognize integrity will win their market and be a refreshing change.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs