DISH Network

DISH Network Reviews

3.6/5 (1932 ratings)

About DISH Network Reviews

DISH Network Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH Network?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Fox Sunday NFL game was in Spanish. Tonight I’m locked out. Automated message tells me we were canceled. Customer service rep says we’re working. Last tech removed our more modern equipment for older equipment that doesn’t work well. Can’t wait until our commitment is up!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Waited an hour to get through customer service to tech support. Once I got to a the tech support person they became very agitated and blamed me for the issue. The Dish tech started talking over me that it was my fault for the state I was located and hung up on me. I don’t think I was rude or nasty to the person, just asking questions to fix the issue. If I can change my dish network satellite on the motor home to Directv, I’m doing that. Bad customer service and support.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Every month I see a new charge on my bill. I'm sick of it!! DISH tells you all the things you want to hear. I get useless channels that would never watch. If I could give them a zero I would. What's sad is the other companies are just the same. When you live out in the Country and the only thing you can get is Dish or DIRECTV they got you by the balls.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

We signed up for Dish under a 2 year contract. 6 months in I was put on social security. A fixed income. With the high inflation and now fixed income we had to make some cuts. We called dish to cancel with hopes they would wave the early cancelation fee of $360. They refused. All they cared about was making sure they get their money. We cancelled and will never use Dish Network again. They lost a 15 year loyal customer for life.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

We were loyal Dish Network customers for many years, but we noticed that new customers were getting better more advanced equipment with lower rates. We spoke with their retention department and that if we wanted the most up to date equipment that we would be paying twice what we were paying at the time. So we elected to cancel our service. We asked them where we could drop off their equipment and they said since our equipment was so old that they did not want it returned to them, but we could take it to Best Buy and they would recycle the items. We did just that.

Now fast forward to today. We called to re-establish service with them to take advantage of their special offers, plus, we were unhappy with our current provider. The Dish Network representative checked our old account and history and said we would not be considered for a returning customer since we never returned our equipment to them 2 years ago! WOW! Not only did they not want to retain us as customers, but now they don't want us back. Think TWICE before signing up with these YO-YO's.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

For the last several months, Dish has been doing more than necessary updates (refresh) during Prime Time viewing. Almost daily lately between 7-9 PM CT. It happens in the middle of a program or even when it's something I have recorded. Why can't these update be done at 2,3,4 AM when most people are asleep? It is most frustrating when you are in the middle of a program to have it go off.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

To begin... My fiance had become frustrated with AT&T/DirecTV and I suggested Dish (since we live in the boonies, in my father's childhood home/rural Minnesota). When we reached out, the sales department gave us the 'full court press', so to speak; we were TOLD we wouldn't lose any channels, all would be the same, we would receive a $200 gift card, free install for two years, yada yada yada... Not a single thing proved true...

We were placed on a 'prepaid account' (admittedly our credit was limited, we paid cash for 90% of our purchases, no loans, no credit cards, etc, inherited our house, soooo... Understandable) -- but we were told that after 2 years of on time payments it would AUTOMATICALLY TRANSITION to a traditional postpaid account (but we could not make payment arrangements, the day the bill was due, we would get a 48-hour window [in actuality it's roughly 36-hours] before the service is shut off, with a LARGE reconnect fee would be added)... ***And were told that we would be notified before each price hike by 30-days.***

We did so, to no avail... After enduring the 2 year gauntlet, nothing happened... Apart from a rate hike... The IMMEDIATE issue was the lack of HBO. We were PROMISED HBO/MAX and no changes to our service... Lies... They were "in litigation" with HBO over a rate hike that lasted the length of our contract... But we were 'locked in", so we zipped our lip and endured... Then, after waiting around 6 months, I reached out regarding the $200 gift card that didn't arrive (which would have been WELCOME because in that window 3 of my vertebrae exploded... I underwent emergency surgery and when I awoke, I was wholly unable to bear weight from the waist down and became trapped on my side in a hospital bed in my living room, awaiting further surgical interventions, to present)...

We were given a handful of PPV vouchers in exchange... I informed the person on the phone that internet service ends 2 miles away from our home, so if PPV is contingent upon internet/WiFi, they would be useless, he claimed that internet service was unnecessary... So we accepted the vouchers. We attempted to use one a few months later, to no avail... Internet service was INDEED required to utilize the vouchers, so there they sat, useless and unused for the duration... We held our breath for the two years, waiting out the final promise from the company, which [surprise, surprise] was NOT honoured...

Recently, we discovered our bill jumped from $165 to $212, which is a MASSIVE increase (with ZERO NOTICE) and were rudely informed that that was the price of service at the close of the 2 year contract. The account TYPE never "automatically" transitioned. We were informed that the ONLY way to do so was to cancel the service, wait anywhere from 30-days to a year (depending on who you speak to, the duration changes), and RE-ENROLL as a client (which is asinine). I was aghast... The KICKER is that I WORKED for Dish Network out of high school, out of the corporate offices; rising through the ranks in customer service and eventually becoming a team lead for Customer Service and Retention... And I would NEVER treat a customer/client the way we've been treated...

As I said to countless reps: Clearly, one hand does not know what the OTHER is doing (between Sales and Service)... This situation is SNAFU/FUBAR... And if I have to climb up the ladder, to corporate, in order to rectify the countless lies, inaccuracies, and missteps, I most certainly WILL. I may be disabled... Crippled... But I have a mind like a steel-trap... They will NOT be getting over on me ... One way or another, we will hold them to account...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I was going to cancel Dish last month but was told that I would get a $25 credit every month for 2 years on my bill. I get my bill today and it was only $6 less than I was paying. So I called to get an explanation of why I was not getting $25 off my bill. I was told that I was getting $35 off the new promotion going on at this time. Thinking my bill would be $25 less each month I stuck with Dish for 2 more years. Beware of these false promises by Dish and ask exactly what the price they offer you is really what you are getting. If they had explained this and I would be saving a whopping $6 per month I would have for sure cancelled Dish. Don't trust what they tell you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

My 83 year old mother signed up with DISH 4 months ago. She was not aware of a 2 year contract or being cognitively challenged at this point in her life she did not understand or remember that should she cancel before the 2 years is up she will be charged $400. She lives in a rural area in NY and had lots of technical issues. When she would call for assistance she repeatedly spoke with technicians who she could not understand and they would try to walk her through fixing her issues. After a few attempts to fix her problem she got frustrated and cancelled her account.

We have sent the necessary equipment back and when I called to ask if they would rescind the $400 charge they said the only thing she could do is reinstate her account and they would waive the fee. Otherwise, she is to pay the full $400. I explained that she does not have $400 to pay and at her age she lives social security check to social security check with barely enough to get by let alone pay such a substantial amount of money. I'm just putting this out there so if others sign up, please check on the termination fee and read your fine print.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

We had been a long term customer who paid our bill promptly every month. Service was spotty - went out often. Sometimes with just a few raindrops. Prices increased exponentially as channel options decreased. Finaly straw was a 50.00 per month increase and a request for yet another two year contract. Cancelled service. Had to jump through hoops to get the boxes and labels to send equipment back. Finally received. We immediately boxed everything up and returned it.

Two weeks later UPS shows up asking if we have a box for DISH. I explained that equipment was already returned. Driver advised that this happens all of the time. In addition, he warned that they will probably try to claim some or all of the equipment was not returned. Sure enough, six weeks later, we get a bill for unreturned equipment. Supervisor informs me that one Joey was missing. (It was not.) Terrible company. Terrible customer service. The only good thing I can say is that their terrible service led me to a streaming service that is much better. And $100 per month less expensive.

DISH author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.

• Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.

• Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.

• No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.

• Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.

DISH Network Company Information