1.30/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

DISH Network

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

5305 DISH Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I would not use Dish Network as a TV provider. They are nothing but a bunch of rip off people. They asked for three pieces of information then read the information then they tell you after. I have already told them that there is no money in the account yet so they pull $0.75 a dollar another dollar and then I get charged $96 in bounced fees after I told the guy not to pull any money then they tell me when I call back to try to make them correct it that it's not their problem it's mine and I have to deal with it. This is wrong and I will make sure I tell everybody not to use Dish because all they are a bunch of rip off people.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Been with Dish for over 2 years. Box decided to go out one day and we called them up. They said they would send us one ASAP. Asked to be credited for those days without service and they sent one overnight. The new one froze during install. Called again. Said it was our fault! Would take 3 weeks for a serviceman to come to our house. We canceled. They were rude to us. Signed 2-year contract for a lower amount and after 1 year our bill doubled. Every time it rained, we would lose signal. We tried at one point to add Internet and they gave us the runaround and said they would call back in a few days and they never did. Now I'm waiting to see what kind of bills and crap they are going to charge us. Our contract was over months ago. They give new customers good deal then you sign contract for 2 years and and after a year jack your bill way up and don't care about customer loyalty at All! Worst service Ever!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I moved in December 2016 to an apartment complex and they don't accept antennas of any kind. So I called and they made me buy the "sling" which didn't work! I gave up and put it on hold for a while since they didn't give any solutions whatsoever. I moved last September, called, and got my service working and FREE! Well I just found out that I gotta move again and I said no biggie since the ** ad that supposedly the moving was free.

For my surprise there is a charge of $100 dollars since I haven't been in this address for more than 12 months. The great customer representatives decided to help me out giving me a "discount" because how they say "It is totally up to us and we want to help you all." It sounded fishy for me and called for second time and I got the offer to cut off the cost $30.00 dollars off!!! How awesome is that? When the first one offered the half! I am about to call for third time to see if I get just $30 dollars. LOL! My recommendation don't get DISH!!! It's a trap, horrible service and totally incompetent for solutions!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I originally agreed to a 2-year contract with DISH Satellite TV service. I ordered a Joey extender several months ago to be able to view satellite TV in one of the bedrooms at my home. However, after the tech installed the Joey extender it never worked correctly. It disconnected constantly & displayed an error 404 message. I called customer service several times & they were never able to resolve the error message, so I canceled the Joey extender service & returned the Joey equipment back to Dish. Now I'm being told since I ordered extra equipment my service contract was extended. However, the Joey equipment was returned & extra service was canceled due to the service not working correctly.

I have already satisfied the original two-year commitment. I don't think it was fair to extend my contract for a service that never worked. Since the Joey Service never worked correctly and was returned this should have voided the agreement. Yet DISH is insisting I have to pay them an early termination fee of almost 300 dollars for Joey service & equipment that was canceled.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have tried other companies and came back to Dish, I have never had any problems, has great customer service I have no complaints. Go Dish go.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DISH?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

| up for 2 yrs. After about 4 months started missing local channels and new channels. Had maintainability plan and called & begged them to come out and fix it. Would not service networks. Canceled account. Cost me 295.00. Real CROOKED. LIMITED INCOME and CHARGED to my CARD. NASTY PEOPLE, DON'T CARE ABOUT REPUTATION. Ripping off old people.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The cost is way too high and they make excuses for increases and blame other local network. Their customer service is lacking in what they can do over the phone. The signal is won't stay and I lose it about 50 times per day.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

They have on demand feature and have the seasons of a series that's on TV let's. They are listed but never have The Season's episodes there. It drives me crazy. Comcast always has everything listed with all the season so you can go back to the very first time it started. Dish Network should do the same. If they claim to have on demand feature and put up the icon for the episode but don't even have all of the episode what's the point of an on demand. Even the current season that they're in they don't even have all of the episodes. They're usually missing like the first three.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We like Dish Network, but it's just ok. We pay way too much for 250 plus channels because the channels we like ONLY come in that package. Our dish loses signal very easily due to even just clouds. We live in the country where we have no access to high speed internet or reliable cell signal so Dish is about the best in that situation. We've had DirecTV, and switched because the customer service was much better with Dish.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Every month I had to call to find out why this or that charge was on my bill when I should of been on 2-yr contact at the same monthly amount. Not worth the frustration.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Satellite TV is the only alternative in the rural area where I live. I got DISH Network when they first started and had to install the dish myself. About 5 or 6 years ago they upgraded the antenna dish and re-positioned it. I had an issue with the dish last year, they sent out a service guy who replaced a part he said had cracked due to UV damage. I was charged $80, even though the dish belonged to them. Earlier this year DISH dropped my local channels due to a contract dispute. 2 months later, they reached a settlement and I have my local channels back. The dish does black out during a heavy rainstorm or snowstorm. I have had to clear snow off it a few times.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Flim-flam operation. No one ever heard of a promotion and never lives up to contract. Call several times and customer service is either clueless or just incompetent. Cannot get an answer to specific query.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We live in the boonies so do not have many options. While DISH is good for tv and their customer service is really great, we also have to use them for internet. That is lacking! We have limited hi-speed options and it is significantly slower than many providers. If we had other options, I would go with another company for internet.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I like Dish (because this is the one I use) because I can leave one room and continue to watch in another room. If you have cable you can't do this unless you want to pay or rent for another device.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Absolutely awful. Don't do it. DirecTV got pricey and I was told my pricing with Dish would be lower and with similar features. Dish lied twice to me. Said I could record and get all NFL games, no, does not work. Said they would include my Motor Home, extra box, no charge, just $7 per month. Second lie. Installer did not have the box, not on my contract, had no idea. OK, bad business. The controller and menus are not nearly as good, dislike the system. Kept for 3 weeks to get acclimated, could not. Installer polite, did nice job. When I called to cancel, I was treated very fairly. Courteous, helped where they could, was very impressed with this aspect. Went back to DirecTV, very happy I did.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Been Dish customer since June 2012. The first 1-2 years no problems. Reliable, great speed, $80 per month. NEVER went over the bandwidth limit of 15 GBytes during peak, and 15 GBytes during low times. Although, there's been no change in internet use, the limit of 15 GBytes is reached in less than a week. After which each GByte costs $10. The ramping up of bandwidth use started in about 2013. Also have noticed when nothing is connected to the modem, the bandwidth runs out. When going to websites, the streaming does not stop, and going to just a few news websites the data runs out.

As far as reliability, the internet speeds are variable, and many times cannot access the internet at all, although the modem appears to be working and the connection is lit, indicating there is an active connection. The low use time (2-8 am) bandwidth has changed from 15 GBytes to 50 GBytes alloted for the month. This usage bar never changes from the maximum value, although is being used. So, $90 per month for regular limited data, and then $10 for each additional GByte. Total at end of each month Exceeds $300. Rural area outside of Little Rock AR.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

On September 5, 2017 I opened a Dish account with the Dish company, they explained to me all the contract regulations and how it works. After all, the customer service lady said that if I decide to cancel the service, I have to make sure I do it before the thirty day and to returned all the equipment so I won't be charged for it. Now, on September 17, 2017 I decided to cancel the service cause I didn't like it, my complaint is why they charging me 500 dollars and some change Because the contract. When I apply for the Dish service they didn't say anything about any contract, therefore, I know, I didn't sign any paperwork from them. So it's not fair they are penalizing me for lies and false statements. In conclusion, I need help on this matter. It's not fair for me and my kids, I'm in a budget cause I'm a disabled person and I don't have that kind of money just because they didn't talked clear to me. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

The bottom line is consumers have very few choices so you end up with a bad provider and bad service without recourse. And the pricing is triple of what it should be.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I pay too much for channels I don't watch. If it wasn't for my husband’s sports addiction we wouldn't have sat at all. I prefer Netflix and Prime. We almost never lose connection, and while the new format is too small for my mother to see it seems to work otherwise well.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

DISH Network is overpriced, as most of these companies are. The 2 main problems I have with this provider is they came out with a software update that is absolutely terrible! Shows or recordings are dropped, in the middle of a program it will change channels without warning, and a few other issues. Also, I will receive calls from DISH Network asking me if I want to upgrade my equipment for $250! I tell them no, then I'll call customer service about this "equipment upgrade " and they tell me that they didn't call, it was someone else using their phone #. They, DISH Network, are a shady company. Buyer beware!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have been a DISH customer for way longer than any contract. Due to storm damage, I had to get my roof replaced and they took my satellite down. I had been wanting to cancel my bundle service with local phone company/DISH. I viewed this as my opportunity! I called DISH and explained I wished to cancel and was planning on using an antenna for tv. In the past, I have had intermittent reception with that method, so when the customer service rep offered to put my account on hold and would waive the fee, I thought ya I will give it a few months and see how it goes. (I do miss the DVR rewind, but not as much as the money I am saving). 5 months passed and I received notice that my account had been terminated for non-payment, and that my devices needed to be returned within 30 days or I would incur additional fees and be subject to collection.

I called to find out I owed $47.00. Money for hold on account (what a shock! not waived) and shipping to send the devices back. Conversations with both customer svc rep and then supervisor got nowhere. I then asked supervisor to confirm where return boxes were sent and what method they were shipped by. My home address and UPS were the answer. I asked to make sure it was not UPS SurePost, because I no longer receive US mail at my home. He stated definitely it was UPS. Guess what? It was sent UPS SurePost! Supervisor of what? They are shady, lying scam artists. Based on all the other reviews on here, unscrupulous practices seem to be their method of operations! I wrote this to make me feel better, but I will be contacting FCC, FTC to complain as well. They are truly the only ones that can do something about this! I also wonder with the consistency of problems if there aren't grounds for a class action.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have had an excellent experience with DISH Network in the ten years I have had them. Customer Service has been great & when I needed to reduce my monthly cost, they worked well with me.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I called DISH to have their services installed at my house and an appt was made for a tech to come out. Nobody showed up not one time but three times. When I called the company of course nobody wanted to talk to me. I was transferred 8 times then told I would receive a $100 credit on my bill. What bill?? Nobody wants to do an install.

The next day I called back the person who took my order and of course there was supposed to be a report of what transpired and then I was promised another install time and date. Two dates were set up and nobody bothered to show up either day. Called DISH again and was transferred again then told that no appt was ever set up.

It's nice that DISH can waste people's time and they are so big that they evidently don't need new customers who pay their bills. Calling and sending emails are useless because you just get the same crap about how they want feedback and they're very sorry about everything and how they want to hear how they can improve their services. It's all a bunch of crap.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We own both services Dish Internet and Dish TV. The internet Satelite service gives us 10 GB of internet access then it slow down. For $70 per month that's almost $1000 per year for this service. The profit margin must be extreme and they regulate themselves. The FCC is controlled by the industry. The DISH TV, we buy the basic service. We use it to watch our favorite TV e.g. PBS and C-Span and occasionally MSNBC. All of the rest of the programming, sales, scammers and promotion takes up 90 percent of the service. Only 10% is used to provide programming that you can call entertainment.

Our service is called local TV and we have only two channels Fox, and PBS. For that we pay $20 per month. There needs to be a better way. The system is controlled by a few dominant providers who control the FCC. We are opposed to any change in the net and we want Net Neutrality. We need to be at the same speed as everyone else. If the FCC allows this to go in the direction of the providers (Profit, Profit and More Profit) it will be Orson Welles' worst nightmare.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

They promise not to raise your monthly bill but they do, and they have no senior discount. I'm going with a streaming service very soon.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Very disappointed. 3 year Dish customer, a year ago I added a wireless access point for another TV. Dish wanted to extend my (then expired) contract another 2 years just to provide me the wireless access point, which also had an increased cost. I refused, and after long discussion they agreed to provide the access point without extending the contract. Done via chat. Fast forward a year, I go to cancel (bundled TV/internet/mobile plan saving hundred $) and they tell me I have a year left on my contract.

No, I say, you agreed to waive the requirement, where are the chat logs? We can't provide them, don't have access to them. I call ** and fight with them for 2 days. They insist I signed an extension, I say I did not. Turns out when they brought out my wireless access point, they had my wife (I wasn't home) sign the "work order". She had no idea she was also signing a 2 year extension.

So they stick to their guns as they have a signed contract. I tell them they need to do the right thing, and that I want to see the chat logs. Court subpoena... That is the answer. If I want copies of the chat logs, I have to get the courts to rule for them. Absolutely unreal. I may have had a few words at that point, I don't remember as I was so angry. I asked for the payoff amount and closed the account, assuring them that they had not heard the last from me, or my keyboard. Like they care... Stay away. Nobody does business like this and just gets away with it, long term. You reap what you sow.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Been with Dish for 3 years, bill started out at $59 for first year, increased to $125 for year 3 with no change in programming. Called today to discontinue service for a cross-country move, was told: (1) Would take 7-10 days to receive the box to send the equipment back (I thought a week notice before discontinuing would be sufficient). (2) Have to pay Dish $12 to send the equipment back. (3) Even though Dish installed the equipment (cabling and antenna) for free, I have to remove the equipment myself (take the antenna off the roof), they don't do that. Before signing up, be sure to read all the small print on the agreement, or if over the phone, RECORD their disclosure statement, which they claim includes the above conditions.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Upon ordering service from a DISH retailer, I was told I would receive a $100 VISA gift card. After several months I contacted DISH who gave me the retailer's phone number. After many days of attempting to call, I finally got through. When they checked, they said that they use a gift card company. They called the gift card company, which told them that an email was sent to me, yet I did not receive it and I had 30 days to reply. Since I did not reply, they will not reissue the gift card. This is a SCAM by DISH and their retailers. I am pursuing it further through the FCC, BBB and state Attorney General's Office.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Was promised a bundle for one amount and after they destroyed my yard by practically digging a well to install the satellite they changed the price. I called customer service and canceled my service on the spot. They stated I would have to pay $520 to cancel since the tech had completed the work. I hadn't had the service 1 full day. After calling back to speak to a supervisor (they kept hanging up) they assured me there would be no charge other than the techs shoddy installation.

I kept checking my bank account to make sure they didn't try to pull a fast one. After a full month I thought all was well as I paid the installation fee on the spot. The next month I noticed my checking balance was off by (you guessed it) $520. I called my bank and found out DISH debited my account $520 and SunTrust Bank allowed them to do so. The previous month when I thought DISH may pull a fast one I notified SunTrust Bank and requested they put a stop payment on any attempts by DISH just in case.

The fraud dept. assured me they would and that they have had many problems with dish trying to do this. After SunTrust dropped the ball they said I was supposed to call them each month to request this... wth?!? I closed every account I had with that bank and never looked back. DISH also refused to come get this eye sore satellite from my yard. Stay away from these crooks. #Will hang up on youĂ—3. #Sales give one price #tech said something different #CS said something else. #Pretend to not understand you and their English is horribly frustrating!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

The fact I am forced to watch stations that are 200 miles away and not able to watch stations that are 50 miles away is **. This is not acceptable.

DISH expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1980, DISH Network now provides paid TV to almost 14 million subscribers. The company, headquartered in Meridian, Colorado, is the second-largest satellite TV provider in the United States.

• Flexible payment: DISH network accepts Bitcoin as a payment method for those who prefer the cyber currency.
    • Fantasy and reality: Subscribers can watch a game and look at their fantasy football stats to chart their team's progress, using DISH Network Hopper.
    • Watch from anywhere: DISH Network allows access to recorded shows from anywhere, as long as there is an Internet connection.
    • No up-charge on HD: DISH Network offers free HD channels, and it does not charge extra for the high-quality imaging.
    • Promotional offers available: DISH Network sign-up promotions allow customers to get extra channels with a 24-month contract commitment.
    • Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and households on a budget.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs