1.6/5 (182 ratings)

About Optimum

Optimum provides in-home connectivity and entertainment through high-speed internet, digital TV and voice services. Optimum also offers a variety of enhanced services, technical support options and smart home products through its partners.

Pros

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • $500 contract buyouts
  • No annual contracts

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not transparent about fees

Bottom Line

Optimum offers cable and internet services in the New York tri-state area. Customers get a locked-in price for life, though some complain about hidden fees. The company offers a money-back guarantee.

Optimum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optimum?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

All I can say is that Optimum online has the worse customer service. From yesterday I talk to at least 20 different representatives and none solve the issue and in the end all I was asking was to add basic tv channels to my internet which I sign on online. They keep turning me to next representative and the next and then next one of them was talking to my husband, man I got you, I got you, stay with me, I got you, in the end he hang on one of them told us he can't help us. He need to couch sales unbelievable what I experience. Then I told them, "Can you cancel and then I will do it online all over again." then they told me sorry that's the issue. They can cancel it's still pending the service once again. I said, "Ok can at least you try to add cable?" Nope. Then he ask do I need they have good deal on cell service. Again he wanted to make sale. I said no help me with this issue. All I can say to optimum is that they have to change custumer service

Optimum response

Hello Amela. Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for any bad experience you might have had, and we would like to help! Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account information.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

At first, I thought that I had chosen the right company for my Home Phone Services and Internet, but little by little they started planning this game, by stating that I had to change for Paperless billing, but I didn't have fax services and I called Optimum for another line for my fax services, and I did cancel it at the same moment I mean after 10 minutes because I wasn't pleased with the price, today I was checking my online account because someone from Optimum called me as a Preferred customer by offering me faster internet services then I realized that they have been charging me $40.00 each month for the fax line that I had canceled, they told me that I lied about it, that I never called to cancel it since they have access to my credit they keep on charging me for a line that I had never used.

I spoke to Altice at **. She told me that she cannot reimburse me for my full $480 + dollars since they worked on the commission. They don't care how they are going to make money from you, they will try anything. Their services are stinks, PLEASE DO NOT SUBSCRIBE WITH OPTIMUM NOR VERIZON. THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT.

Optimum response

Good Morning, Esther. I apologize for the poor experience. Something definitely doesn’t sound right there, and we’d like to help and address any problems that you may be experiencing at this time. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account information.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Hard to give enough emphasis to what terrible customer service Optimum has. The timeframes of their technician appointments are meaningless to them. We have had 3 scheduled technician appointments over the last ten days that were simply blown off, rescheduled without notice, and in some instances they outright lied that the tech came to the home and no one answered (my home security camera show that they never came). Their phone reps don’t do anything other than apologize pretentiously for their poor service and offer to set you up with a new appointment that they won’t honor. They know that customers have limited (if any) choices for internet service, and they bundle other unwanted services so as to take advantage.

Their own staff admits that you are powerless to do anything about their indifference to your inconvenience or life disruption. Miss work, wait for them for 8 hours, no courtesy calls or ability to narrow down the timeframe, unhelpful technicians - it’s literally the worst-run customer service department you can imagine. It should be illegal to take advantage of paying customers the way that they do. Their chat bot service is basically a digital version of the same rotten inept culture. Shame on you Mr ** and your team for taking advantage of people. Can’t wait to ditch your service for good.

Optimum response

Hello Michael. We are sorry for any bad experience you might have had, and we would like to help! Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account information.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

HORRIBLE SERVICES. NETWORK ALWAYS DISCONNECTS. COMPLETELY unreliable!! Every time I'm in a meeting disconnects, disconnects, disconnects, disconnect. Horrible experience!! I can't wait to quit. Done.

Optimum response

Hey Wale. I apologize that you are having a service issue. We will be able to take a look at this for you. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I’m a new customer who signed up for fiber internet. Optimum no showed for 4 out of 5 appointments over six weeks, and ultimately gave me cable internet. I haven’t received any of the $80 no-show fees as credits that they charge customers who aren’t home at the time of their appointment, and I’ve lost countless hours on the phone. We’ve been locked in an unvirtuous circle where the customer schedules an appt, the company fails to show, the employees of the company have no answers nor accountability, managers are nonresponsive, and the issue continues unresolved. This month’s excuse is that the fiber in the street is damaged, which is an odd claim since they haven’t been here since December. At least they are consistent in also no showing for street repairs.

It blows my mind that a company can operate like this in 2022. They have tried to upsell me twice for mobile, which is comedic since they can’t, or won’t, provide the service I requested and am paying for. Customer service is the absolute worst. Unfortunately, they currently seem to have a monopoly on high-speed internet in Fairfield County.

Optimum response

Hi Tom. Thank you for your feedback. I understand how it would be frustrating to deal with issues like this and we will happy to look in to this for you. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I have made numerous calls, had service techs out and been told the problem is with their outside line. No attempt to repair and I have been paying for a service I am not receiving in over 3 months. They will not do anything about it.

Optimum response

Hello Anthony. Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry for the poor experience. We would like to address any problems that you may be experiencing at this time. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

Tech Support told me that my Router and Modem needed to be checked to find out why I had Cable service and no Internet or phone service. After spending 30 minutes with Tech Support, disconnecting and connecting the devices nothing changed. I was told a service call was necessary. Tonight, 4 hours later, WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING - the internet and phone was back in service. Optimum, train your employees better so that customers won't be wasting time working on a problem that doesn't exist. I am tired of "tech support" following a script instead of looking for the real problem. If Optimum cared they would do a better job.

Optimum response

Hello Ira. Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the poor experience. I understand how it would be frustrating to deal with service issues. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info, if you are having any issues.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Updated on 02/03/2022: One Wednesday afternoon, we were without cable tv, Wi-Fi and phone. We were told the next available appointment was the following Wednesday. I asked to speak to a supervisor, her name was Thalia who spewed policies and procedures and there was nothing she could do to help me and proceeded to HANG UP ON ME. Yup, she’s the supervisor. Fast forward to the problem being fixed by a very pleasant tech, he said it was Optimum's fault, the previous techs (who were there to fix the buzzing in the phone lol) hadn’t wrapped the wires properly. We will be leaving for Verizon who has great packages. My dream is to get an apology from optimum, specifically Thalia. Shame on you.

Original: Came home today to find no phone tv or internet. Dealt with customer service they wanted us to wait a week, I asked to speak to someone higher up, the “supervisor” Thalia ID# ** hung up on me after she spewed their procedures. Bye Optimum, your procedures are not my problem. Thalia and you do not have a way with people.

Optimum response

Hi Janice. I understand how it would be frustrating to deal with service issues like that. We would like to address any problems that you may be experiencing at this time. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Optimum customer service is HORRIBLE. They tell you one thing, and do another.... I contacted customer service via chat on January 11th to confirm a cancelation that I had set up for January 16. I was told by a SUPERVISOR, that since my billing cycle runs 1/1 to 1/31 and my billing date is 1/15, that the bill would be paid on the 15th and then the retention department will prorate a credit for the 16th-31st, since the billing cycle wasn't completed.

Today, 1/19/22, I called and asked why I haven't received a credit yet, and was told "we don't do that". I explained that I have a transcript of the conversation that took place on 1/11. I HAVE IT IN WRITING. I have proof! If that person made a mistake, that is not MY problem, that is theirs. I was sent from retention, to billing, back to retention all just to get nowhere. I am extremely dissatisfied with the way I was treated not to mention the fact that I was lied to and no one wants to resolve the situation. Not to mention that fact that I am pregnant and my blood pressure got so high that I felt faint after. Optimum, if something happens to my unborn child, THAT IS ON YOU!

Optimum response

Hi Gloria. Thank you for your feedback. I understand how it would be frustrating to deal with billing issues. We would like to review this for you. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I moved to an apartment in 2019 and I decided to have Optimum as cable TV because I was sure they were honest, fair and professional, to find out that they are not at all!!! When I first started, I called the customer service and the lady on the phone told me a price to find out a month later that I had to pay over 100 USD more for the first month, something that she deliberately avoided to tell me. After one year paying 134, they raised my monthly payment to 177 without even to inform me. I had to find out while checking my account.

I called the customer services and I asked to have only the basic channels, and so I should have paid 77 USD, but while my account still had the bill of 177, the balance on the phone was 77. I called again and again and this problem has not been fixed. Now I paid on the phone the actual full monthly payment, but now in the account, my balance is still over 90 USD to pay, which it will result in me also to have to pay for later due payment. The customer service suck and don't chose OPTIMUM, it is what I am going to do now, trying to find another cable TV.

Optimum response

Hello Loredana. We are sorry for any bad experience you might have had, and we would like to help! Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account information.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Please look at the bill. It is certainly not what their advertisement tells us. To get the 300 Mbps internet I was forced to buy the Broadcast Basic, which has only a dozen news channels and I almost never watched. The internet speed is not 300 Mbps as well. Most of the time it is around 80 mbps. $141 per month for just internet? They are too greedy. I finally have some other high speed internet carriers in my area. Switched without any hesitation.

TV 01/08 - 02/07 Broadcast Basic $35.00. 01/08 - 02/07 1 Cable Box(es) (At $11.00 each with remote(s) included) $11.00. 01/08 - 02/07 Box Discount Incl. $5.00 Promotional Savings -$5.00. 01/08 - 02/07 TV Credit -$10.00. Total TV$31.00. Internet 01/08 - 02/07 Optimum Online (Incl. FREE unlimited access to Optimum WiFi) $89.99. 01/08 - 02/07 Optimum 300. Add-On $20.00. 01/08 - 02/07 1 Modem Rental Fee(s) (At $10.00 each) $10.00. 01/08 - 02/07 Network

Enhancement Fee $3.50. 01/08 - 02/07 Internet Credit -$21.00. Total Internet $102.49.

Phone 01/08 - 02/07 Optimum Voice (Includes over 20 features, certain taxes & fees) Incl. $29.95 Promotional Savings $5.00. Total Phone $5.00. Taxes & Fees 01/08 - 02/07 State and Local Sales Tax $1.05. Franchise Fee $0.70. State Reg Fee $0.04. FCC User Fee $0.09. 911 Surcharge $0.90. Federal Universal Service Fee $0.20. Total taxes & fees activity $2.98. Total amount due $141.47.

Optimum response

Hi Charley. I understand how it would be frustrating to deal with billing issues like this. We would like to review the account with you. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I've been repeatedly/inaccurately charged for the last 9 months. BLATANTLY LIED TO by no less than a dozen employees, that matter will be corrected...month in & month out! NOT, CORRECTED! Incompetent!

Optimum response

Hi Gregory, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for any bad experience. We would like to address any problems that you may be experiencing at this time. Please reach out to our team at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com and provide your account info.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I have been with Optimum over 10 years. Relocated to Florida canceled my service and Company refuses to prorate my monthly payment. They are charging me the full month of $160 without using the service. Dealing with customers this way causes companies To lose their integrity. My suggestion to new customers is don't use Optimum. Stay away.

Optimum response

Hello Jaime. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I will send this over to our feedback team, if you would like to provide us with any additional details, please email us at BrandReviews@AlticeUSA.com

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I ordered Internet service in January 2021. I moved in February 2021 and called them to cancel the service. In September of 2021, I noticed that a charge for $49.39 from Optimum. I went back to statements since February and found out that I was being billed every month. I called them and after 4 hours on the phone with 4 different people, this lady told me that she was sorry for the inconvenience, and that she was going to refund me the money within two weeks. I was waiting for the refund but it never came. I called again after two months and I was told that no money was going to refund because they have no record that I called to cancel the account in February. They are horrible at customer service and the company is not to be trusted. I would think twice before signing-up with them.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I had an issue and spend hours talking to them more unprofessional incompetent representatives who just got me upset and didn't even sold my issue. I wish I knew they were that horrible I would never have signed up and I will never use this company or anything related to them again!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Really the worst cable company. Don’t even bother calling them over the phone they’ll give you the runaround and transfer you to the wrong department and tell you the wrong info. Nobody knows anything. They’ll charge you for equipments that’s been returned and when you call for your refund… Good luck even getting your hardworking money back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

First off the lack of internet is awful. It constantly stops working and I never once got the speeds I paid for. I paid for a gig and never saw speeds over 200 the entire time. Secondly they really don’t care about their customers. I canceled the service and apparently I owed the last month's bill which is ok. I don’t mind paying. I didn’t know I owed it until I got a call from a Collection company. No calls from Optimum whatsoever. Just send me to collections while I’m in the middle of buying a house. How little do you care for people when you send a young couple into collections while they’re trying to buy a first house after not even telling them they owe money? The only reason to choose them is if you have no other choice in your area. I will never be using them again.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

Horrible customer service. Only 1 person to help around 300+ people to return or pick up or buy. This company should be shut down. It’s a disgrace that they operate. You have to drive to the facility and then wait more than 1 hour to just be seen. Someone should regulate how they do business!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

One of the worst experiences. I signed Up for internet access in mid Nov 2021 and have experienced at least 10-15 drops in service per day. Multiple techs have visited my apt to say that my in home setup is working but that there is an issue with the external wiring outside of my apartment building. They were supposed to schedule a visit from an external tech to look at the external wiring but that has not happened. I called support and now have another tech coming to visit my apt to check my internal setup and then will need to schedule an external tech. This is completely ridiculous and I would completely stay away from Altice. They literally give you the run around. I plan to leave the service and go to another provider asap. All who are having issues should do the same because they are just going to continue to bill you monthly and not resolve any issues.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

The ONLY reason I use them is because of their monopoly in my area. They hit me with 3 rate increases in one year at one point. I average 20 spam emails a day which is very annoying, especially when you PAY for the service. I pay almost $100 per month for 100mb internet only where others are paying $30 p/mo for much faster speeds. I have been using them for 23 years and look forward to the day where I can tell them to "pack sand"!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

They kept charging me after they cancelled my account. When I called them, they put me on long holds. Their agents always have stupid reasons. But once you talk to them, eventually it comes to a point that they have no choice but accepting that they have over charged you. But then they say I cannot do anything about it. Worst big company that I have ever dealt with. No exaggerations. Regarding their service: it had ups and downs. Sometimes faster, sometimes slow.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

They used to be comparable or at least cheaper than Verizon. What a waste. I had to go to the premium select package because my son wanted DisneyXD. They upgraded me but was unable to provide the channels. Every feature in my cable box didn't work besides changing my channel. Terrible customer service. I don't think I have ever been this frustrated. They cut my verizon fios wire so now I have to pay for someone to fix it. They can't schedule a technician during the hours that I am available. Whatever you do stick with Verizon Fios.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I just moved into my apartment and called Optimum to have my Basic cable turned on and they were here a week and a half ago and never hooked up the cable for tv. He only hooked up the internet. I spent 8 hours with many Customer Service people and they finally figured out the guy didn’t know what I had requested. Next guy comes and has the wrong work order and didn’t have any cable box in the truck. So today the third guy came hooked up everything and said it would be activated in an hour and he left. I knew something was wrong and started calling and 4 hours later they told me the guy never activated the system!

I called him and said I need this fixed by tomorrow. He mumbled something and hung up on me so I don’t know what the result is going to be. I’m 67 and disabled and this is the way they treated me and I tipped each one of them for absolutely nothing! I would never recommend this company to anyone else in case they have the same problem as I am. And I guarantee you that I’m not going to be compensated for all this time that I don’t have the cable activated. Thieves without a gun! This is 100% true.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

It is difficult for me to comprehend the level of incompetency I encountered with Optimum while simply trying to have my 12 year old cable boxes and router updated with the new Altice products. In Mid November, I contacted Optimum and scheduled an appointment for new cable boxes and router for November 24th between 8:00 am- 11:00am. The morning of the 24th I confirmed that I was on the schedule via my online account. At 10:40 a.m. that day, my cable was shut off, which was not a major concern because I assumed the technician was on his way. Between 11:00 am and 8 pm that day I called at least 5 times and each time was assured the tech would be there. I also had to call to have my cable service restored.

Shortly after 8pm, I spoke with a representative who told me that my original order was processed incorrectly, but he would fix everything and guaranteed me that a tech would be at my house between 8:00 am and 11:00 am on the morning of December 6th. Sure enough, they did not how up during that window. I called multiple times, and tracked the appointment on my online account, and, once again I was repeatedly lied to and told the technician would show up. From 5pm-8pm my online account stated that I was next appointment and that I would be contacted shortly. Naturally, the end of the day came and the technician did not show up...AGAIN. To top it all off, they shut off my cable at 10pm, forcing me to call to have it restored. I missed two days of work, waited around all day both days, and they never showed up nor had the decency to call me to explain that they would not make it. You almost have to try to be this bad. Bye bye Optimum, hello Fios.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

Internet continuously has to be rebutted. Cable channels are constantly not working. Customer service only answer is, "I understand. Let me troubleshoot." Works for a few times. Call back same mess. Many times can't communicate or understand the representative.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

DO NOT CONSIDER SERVICES FROM THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT CONTINUED FRUSTRATION AND LIKE TO DEAL WITH ON-GOING INCOMPETENCE. Never have I ever had such a miserable experience with a cable/phone/internet provider (and that's saying a lot). It took 3 home service calls for them to even get the order straight. When I requested the problem be escalated to a manager, they say the manager will call back. I have tried this a minimum of 5 times and have NEVER received a returned call. They will not supply the name of a manager or supervisor to speak with. It has been 10 days since services were supposed to be installed/connected and they have yet to get it right. They are unresponsive and the support/phone staff is unbelievably incompetent, repeatedly giving incorrect information and outright lying about what they are doing.

This company should be ashamed of itself and the leadership, including CEO Dexter Goei, Vice Chair- Lisa Rosenblum, EVP Consumer Services, Matt Marino need to take a serious look at how their company is run because the customer service and inept handling for this CONSUMER is wholly UNACCEPTABLE! It should not take 30 phone calls and hours on the phone only to be told that in order to escalate an on-going issue due to the company's ineptness that a manager will call you back - and then never does and the issue is never resolved unless you make multiple calls, spending way too much time. As a side note: Line installers 2 and 3 were very nice and competent. Line installer 1 had serious uncalled for attitude.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

Have the unlimited service offered as a promo. Cell coverage is gradually increasing but still misses large chunks of the Belt Parkway and LI Expressway. Also, for a long time customer service was text only and they now have phone support. Recently had an issue dialing Europe. Was taught a geography lesson where I learned that the service allows call to the UK but not England. :( You can't make this stuff up.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

They are impossible to contact. I was cut off from a chat. Finally started another after resubmitting the same information 3 times. No help. Phone call after much holding. Make you unplug and plug even though you did it already. Still no help. Said they would send a technician. Then I got a call telling me to unplug and plug again. Then I got a call saying they think it's fixed and will charge me for the technician (I will not pay) of course it was a recorded call not a human. The technician did come and checked all the connections. Nothing's wrong. Tv still doesn't work. He said the problem is from outside. But Optimum told me there is no problem. In the meantime the problem is getting worse and worse. As soon as I have time to deal with this I'll switch to Verizon and hope they're not as horrible.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

Over this past summer (2021) I signed on for Optimum internet service in New Jersey. I was promised a $200 Visa gift card as a new customer. I never received the card after several months of service. They claim that it was mailed out to me on a certain date, yet it was never received. They referred me to an 800 number which only allows you to leave a message. I left 5 messages over a week's time and never received a callback. I complained to Optimum and they said they could not do any more for me than to refer me to that same 800 number that doesn't call you back. How awful to not stand by their incentive offer. They couldn't care less. I honestly feel like canceling the service this has left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Absolutely the worse service provider. Unreliable, dishonest, and difficult to work with. For years I've been having issues with the WIFI. They send numerous technicians and never resolved the issue. At one point they even suggested to get a third party router instead of theirs. I did and it still didn't resolve the problem. Once the technician didn't even show up. They never called to let me know he cancelled. I will not use them even if they pay me. Stay away!!!

Optimum Company Information