1.64/5
Based on 77 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

522 Subaru Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

Nearly killed four weeks ago visiting grandchild in Tamworth. 2010 WRX Impreza overheated and steering went outside Ebor NSW. Towed to Armidale. Now sits needing new engine as did not have new front drive belt at 48 months. Subaru mechanic thought was 125,000ks. Only done 100,000!!! Bought from Geoff King Subaru, serviced at Geoff King, believed their experience, who is to blame, not us. Have eight yr old WRX, immaculate, no engine, is cooked and nobody is taking blame!!!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Please, stay away from the dealership in Richmond, BC...I wish I would give less than 1 star for this dealership. My friend help me gave the car key to the receptionist to have my car stored there while I was out of the country. A few days later, my friend called to ask whether he could come to have insurance canceled; but they couldn't find the car key at that time. Then, only until I came back to pick it up 2 months later, they found that my car was stolen??? What the heck!!!

My Subaru Outback 2016 was found abandoned in Vancouver after only a week it was found missing??? Someone had been driving my car more than 5,000 km. And what is more ridiculous is that the items left in the car was belong to their receptionist who was given the car key, which caused me wonder who actually stole my car??? I am very disappointed about how they handled the case, especially from their management, the guys named Tim ** and Mathew **. I have seen none of them said any words of sorry to me, never followed up with me, and kept asking me to deal with my insurance as if they didn't have any responsibilities. I am the fan of Subaru, but would never buy or recommend anyone to buy car from ANY OF SUBARU DEALERSHIP AGAIN.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

In March of 2017 we purchased a brand new 2017 Subaru Impreza and we had 4 free oil changes. And a month or less before the each oil change the oil light comes on and on the last free oil change the light came on 2 wks afterwards. They kept the car for 3/5 days to find out why the car was consuming so much oil. When we went to pick up the car, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. They then wanted to do an oil consumption test. Never heard of this until it was done on my new car. They filled the motor with oil and said bring back at 1200 miles or more! Anyway we took it back and we were told, that we were going to check the oil level together after about 10/15 min. They came after 5 min to get us, (when we went outside they had already pop the latch the hood, not after,) that we were going to check the dipstick. I was suspicious.

Now... not trusting this routine at all. Or the technicians. (Plus they said it was the way the driver was shifting and driving, which affects the transmission and not the motor). After talking to the person who sold us the car, and their finance person? The dealer will not take the car back, they want to give us a new one. We don't want a Subaru anymore. We have tried contacting the Subaru manufacturer to no avail. I look up fuel consumption test and Subaru popped up. Never heard of fuel consumption test. I am afraid of owning a Subaru after this happening to a new car. I have heard good things about Subaru but now I am not so sure.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We have owned 2 Subarus, one 2002 where at approximately 67000 miles head gasket blew, we traded the car in for 2010 Subaru Forester, and now again the head gasket is leaking at 47000 miles. I'm retired and on social security, was told 2400 dollars to repair leak. Complained to Subaru. Said my warranty was over which I knew. I cannot afford to do repair. Also driver's seat has collapsed will cost 700 dollars to repair. Again no money to fix. This car was suppose to last us a good 14 yrs, now I'm stuck with a piece of junk and not very happy about it.

We were told when we bought 2010 Subaru that the head gasket problems had been resolved by Subaru, and this would never happen. Well lucky me it did. we only drive less than 10 miles a day, no excuse for this to happen. Will never buy a Subaru again. My daughter has a Outback also and her head gasket blown too, she will not buy a Subaru again, cheap car. I have a 2013 Toyota with 46000 miles, no leaks whatsoever, will definitely buy another Toyota, I have owned 3 and never had major engine problems like the Subaru.

Original review: May 16, 2018 We purchased a Subaru Outback new in 2013, after many oil changes our car started using a quart of oil in between every oil change. Subaru says, it is normal

to use a quart of oil in between oil changes. As time goes on, we have had it in numerous times and they cannot figure out why it's using oil. Subaru has known that there is a problem and they offered an extended warranty for this issue. Again, I️ keep working with the dealership and they now say, we need a short block. Interesting that now we am completely out of warranty. They are willing to give me 1,000 toward fixing the issue. The completed bill will come to $4,400. I will admit the car gets around beautiful in bad weather but that is the only happiness we have seen in this car so far. We were hoping to get 250,000 miles on this car but at this point we will have to get a new one soon. Just a fair warning, read all reports before you buy a Subaru!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: May 12, 2018

Bought 2018 Outback last October. Have had continual issues with the radio console software rendering the car unsafe for navigation and destinations. They replaced software on 3-18-18. After 2 months same problem occurred. Navigation sent me to several wrong locations and console froze in back up camera mode all day. They installed additional software 5-11-18, but said there is no guarantee this would correct the matter and admitted that at least 20% of all new Subaru's are experiencing this problem. I have one car and a handicapped wife. If this continues I will have no option other than to seek remedy under the Ohio Lemon Law.

Original review: May 7, 2018

2016 Subaru Forster is ok. But compared to the Rav4 it is not as comfortable. There is not enough heat in the winter and the cabin floor needs more installation.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Subaru B9 Tribeca sounds like time when you shut any of the doors, or the close the hood, or the back door. Does not sound like it a good quality vehicle. It jumps into drive when you go from park to drive or even reverse. The CS players in the car go out after only a few times of use, and then it will cost you around $2.000 for a new one.

Original review: May 5, 2018

2014 Suabaru Outback Limited automatic CVT - I bought the car brand new April 2014. March 2015 check oil light came on while on vacation. Spent three hours at the dealership in Tallahassee Florida, changing the oil. Ever since then every 1200 to 3K miles the oil light would come on. I have repair ticket after repair ticket with them checking it tell me nothing is wrong, that the oil is low and they would either add oil or change it. I was never told that similar vehicles without a CVT were part of a class action suit. I was told the oil level being low was usage. Then I later find out that this is not normal and start demanding something be done. They did nothing, I have ticket after ticket where I complained about this while the car was still under warranty. They never mentioned anything about an oil consumption test.

After I researched online I found out about the engine issues. Took to the dealership where they put me through 4 oil consumption test in one year, due to not documenting the test, losing paperwork, technicians leaving, or overfilling the oil. Now the car is out of warranty and needs a new short block. Subaru does not want to replace it because it is out of warranty. I have my documents where this was an issue under the warranty period and they don't want to fix it. The technician and dealership should have contacted Subaru corporate about my car immediately when I started complaining about the issue instead of brushing it off as not part of the recall.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My car is a 2008, I bought it in November 2007. I have never had a problem with this vehicle and it has never left me on the side of the road. When I buy a new car, it will definitely be a Subaru.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Love the maneuverability of Impreza and how it grips the road! Great gas mileage! The price is great for what you get and I tell all my friends what a great car it is!

Original review: May 4, 2018

Need a AWD car for ease of operation for my wife. Need it to be able to function well on icy and snow covered roads. Need power since we live in a mountain region and sometimes pull a tent trailer. Subaru with the 6 cylinder engine fits these criteria very well. I own 3 six cylinder Subarus and one 4 cylinder model. All are lasting quite well and get good gas mileage compared to our friends with various makes and models of cars. I would and have purchased Subarus again and again.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2017 Subaru Forrester (manual transmission): My oil light first came on at 3000 miles and I have been fighting Subaru for the past year to address the excessive oil consumption. Subaru lost a class action lawsuit for oil consumption problems and continues to sell cars without changing the design. I would not recommend a Subaru to anyone as you never know if you will buy a defective one. My passenger seatbelt alarm also goes off when no one is in it and the paint is pitting. Subaru lacks integrity and I will never buy another one.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I own a Subaru Forester. Bought for a vacation to AZ. It handled great at top speed and was very good on gas. The auto is very comfortable on a long ride. It doesn't tire you.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We have been loyal Subaru customers for 20 years. We have always kept our Foresters well maintained and garaged. However, I can say that after the head gaskets going bad at 77,000 in our 2010 Forester we will never buy another Subaru again. Our last Forester did not have bad head gaskets until nearly 200,000 miles! After rounds of discussions with Subaru, they are only offering $1,000 toward repairs. Apparently this is a good deal from what I have seen them offer other customers with similar issues. Ridiculous. We will still be on the hook for repairs that equal half the cost of the vehicle. I am waiting on a class action for this issue. Subaru, you are losing your loyal customer base!

Original review: April 21, 2018

This is the real review of this car and others the same year. To start off, I have the fully loaded premium 2.0. I now have 6,500 miles on my car in a year of ownership. This is because it has been in the shop for months of my ownership (starting with problems at 500 miles). Between my car not starting, the bluetooth not staying connected, the radio having its own mind, and the Eyesight turning on and off on its own and slamming on the brakes by itself... I am unable to drive this vehicle due to the safety concerns. I contacted Subaru many times, and never got a callback and they kept giving me the cold shoulder, even though I was beyond nice about everything. I eventually had to get a lawyer, which was an easy thing to do since the car was a complete lemon.

After everything got settled and I got my money back for that terrible experience, I called Subaru and was willing to give them a second chance, even though their customer service was horrible and their vehicle was garbage. Subaru would not give a loyalty discount, a deal to keep a customer (that was not my first Subaru... I have had many and referred friends and family to them). Their products have declined as well as their customer service. Not worth putting your money into these problem vehicles until they get themselves together and back their customers.

Next thing... my sister owns a 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0 in stick. She has 9k miles on it and it has been into the shop MANY times for similar issues. However, the biggest issue is that her BRAND NEW car burns oil so badly that she needs to fill the oil reserve every month because the low oil light indicator comes on. They keep telling her, "Cars burn oil, its normal." Ummmmm, no Subaru... I have had many cars and have a truck with 180k miles and never need to add oil between changes. Anyways, she is using my lawyer and will as well win against them. Please keep all of this in mind while deciding on a new Subaru.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Purchased a new 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport from Flow motors in Winston Salem. Check oil light came on at 2500 miles. Failed 2 oil consumption tests and had 2 engine rebuilds before 13,000 miles. Using an appalling 1.5 qts oil every 1000 miles. Not repaired. Dealership cheated on oil consumption test by starting with 6 qts of oil in an engine spec’d for 4.7 qts. Going back under NC lemon law. This company gets a 5 **??? Review.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Paint defects on new 2018 Forester. Took to service dealer, told the paint chips were caused by rocks hitting car. How do rocks hitting a car at different times create the same consistent size chip on ALL paint chips? Plus how come the passenger side shows no paint defects while the driver side is constantly cropping up new "rock hits"? The hood is showing paint chips is getting ready to lift again, perfect little tiny circles, no dents, just paint gone to the bare metal. I had a 2006 Nissan, NEVER ever saw problems with the paint. When heavy debris hit my Nissan, it dented the car but left the paint intact, had my Nissan for ten years and never ever saw paint chips exposed to the metal.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had talked my mom into a Subaru Legacy 3017. I took it in with less than 2000 miles saying it shows the oil is really low. The tech looked at it and said oh it's fine and I could not believe it but it showed full at the dealership. The next time I checked it in the drive it showed low again. I thought well there is a slight slant to the drive. That must be it. We had the battery go dead 4 times over the winter. I mean to the point that my jump box that will start my pick up that someone hit in the rear end. I only drive it when I have to haul something so it's usually pretty dead. It will start it right up it took forever on this one. Today I am totally lost as to why I called several places and I just get told each place, "Oh you need to call here or there." I called about the maps part of this on a 2017 Subaru Legacy that just came from being serviced at 3100 miles and it does have problems they cannot duplicate.

I was a Service Manager for GM for years and a service writer. I LOVED the job, but I could at least answer some questions. I have yet to get one question answered. I was going to buy a used Subaru from the same dealership but at this point, I think I will stick with a GM car... I can at least get an answer. I first started to ask if I need to PAY for Starlink to be able to use the maps as every site I look at says with Starlink and maps it's so nice. I have not once been able to get the maps to go anywhere by voice commands if I do get a response other than being told she did not understand.

Then I would get other states coming up... It took 15-30 minutes to manually get one time the map to work right and every other time I just grabbed the Garmin and said well they have always been my choice of GPS and very easy to get to a location. I asked this girl where the SD card is in the vehicle. She said well didn't I go to that site. The one I am at now and I said YES and have already downloaded the toolbox but on a video, it said they could be located in several different spots. She said call toolbox as she only deals with Maps. I said isn't this all part of it. She said no. Is there anything else she could help me with. I said, "I guess not. You did like every other Subaru Phone number I called... telling me to call someone else. They had no idea about Starlink or Sirius or what I was talking about."

My next call is going to be to the Attorney General since NO ONE wants to help at all... but boy they were sure there to sell the vehicle. I honestly was going to get a Subaru until I seen how hard it is to get 1 question answered and I had several to ask and was cut off every time... I do better calling DirecTV or my Insurance Co. and they get me to my boiling point after all the BS. I think they need a Class Action suit as we just had the oil changed they said they had to do an update for the battery. The next time I go to drive it the Nav system kept telling me it didn't understand or would send me to other states. I tried to put it in manually and had trouble.

I called and got that run around. I have the feeling if we don't pay the Starlink yearly they will even lock you out. I read about that on other sites. One being the piXXed off the page. I am VERY VERY dissatisfied the way I have been treated so far. I just drove the car without the radio on and think I had better check the oil myself as it does not sound right at all... I think I will stick with GM and not get a Subaru like I was going too... Best wishes to all Subaru owners. I did talk to a guy at the after-hours place and I said I would just wait until they are open Monday since he said he could not help at all with why nothing was working.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We have owned three Subarus. The 2017 Forester being the latest. I was very excited about my new Forester until I was driving and it kept dying on me. Then a light showed up showing low oil, had only had the vehicle two months, called dealer they said bring it in they will check it out they stated nothing showed up about low oil, again two months later same problem while we were on our way to vacation again. Dealer said bring in. Same response, my husband talked to them and explained the other problems about it dying, transmission not shifting properly, rattling in motor. They told him to bring it in. They test drove it and told him nothing was wrong but did say they would charge us $95.00 an hour to fix it, now again same problems no response.

The only reason we had stayed with Subaru is because we purchased a 2003 Baja and it has almost 300,000 miles on so we decided to buy another one in 2014. We purchased a Crosstrek. Had so much trouble with that car. Traded it in for a Jeep which by the way is fantastic, guess if we can't get my Forester fixed we will be trading it in also. Wondering if anyone else has had so much going on with their Subarus.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Subaru Tribeca 2010. They need to give me a new vehicle - I bought my car use at dealer for 12k. Problem appear right always but dealer said it nothing wrong with the car. Lack of knowledge about auto I trust them. 1 year later when all the warranty expired, that problem start to expand, I just got my car towed to auto shop because engine won't start, fuel pump need to be replace, air system need to be replace, bunch of stuff need fix due to the recall and engine noise is very weird. I didn't know Tribeca is a discontinue model. If I had know earlier I won't bother to buy the car. I have spend more than 2000k to fix the car and the value I got for it now is 8500, they really need to take back the car. I don't care about the payment I made in that year, I just want to be free from this nightmare.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Bought a 2014 Subaru Outback from them that was a Subaru certified used car. I’ve had nothing but issues with it. I reported to them that there was a loud screeching sound intermittently the day after I bought it. They said they drove it and didn’t hear anything. I brought it up multiple times and they said they inspected everything but couldn’t find an issue. Brought it in for the same reason recently and they called back and said that rust on rotor made grooves in the brake pads. I asked if they could replace just the brake pads and they said no we have to replace the rotors. I wrote their service manager asking for the $65 inspection fee to be waived and honestly I want a full refund for the work. $550 for rotors that I didn’t need or want is ridiculous and I’m not sure it's legal. The rotors cost around $70 each and the brake pads $20.

Original review: March 11, 2018

2012 Outback Subaru loaded, 1st new car brought ever. Took exceptional care of my car, kept up on all maintenance and care schedules. Kept my last 2 cars, 2001 Toyota Highlander to 250,000, and 240 Volvo x 350,000 miles +. 2012 Outback head gaskets blew while driving at 50mph, owned 3 years (mainly highway driving, 140 miles to work and Back 4 days a week), Subaru of America paid for half cost of repairs, as said in good faith, $2,25.00. 2018, 141,000 car stalling out, shaking, transmission (stalled out in rush hour traffic, highway as car slowed, very dangerous), there turn out to be problem with the transmission that was not fixed as recall, only if your car has a problem, very dangerous, should be a recall, if you do not drive your car a lot, this chance of having the transmission fixed for free, as it should be ends 7/31/2018.

4 weeks later, driving beautifully, engine seized while driving. My oil level was fine, my coolant level was fine, the dealership stated they could not know the reason unless they take the engine apart, probably something in the block. VERY DANGEROUS! Need a new engine. Subaru will not help, they stated they already help me out in good faith. Granted my car has 141,000 miles on it, how many engines that are taken care, regular maintenance, follows Subaru maintenance plan should go through 2 engines and transmission!

Here I spent $30,000 on my 1st new car ever, in my 60s, loved the car when it ran properly, handle great, gas mile great, all the bells and whistles I choose.

But to have your car die after 5 years when it was well maintained and having no $0.00 value for trade in is not right. Obviously, I have a problem car, a lemon that these kinds of repairs should not have happen once, never mine twice! Never mind how costly an engine is. Being able to have no reasonable recourse. Although I am trying, at least should get bluebook value for the worth my car if it did not have engine issues which is between $6,998-$7,667. Never mind the dangerous situations I was put in, that thank goodness caused no serious accident, Shame on Subaru customer service for putting hardship on their customers that are only looking for a fair outcome!

Original review: March 11, 2018

My 2010 Outback that has always been garage kept is rusting from peeling paint on the fender. Totally unacceptable for a 8 year old vehicle, as my old 2003 Outback that I still have in my family has had no paint peeling and has no rust... and that vehicle is twice the age as my 2010 that's rusting! Also have had numerous problems with the CVT transmission in my vehicle. Did I mention that my 2010 is always kept in a garage at my home and in a covered parking garage at my work?!

My Subaru dealership's body shop was shocked at how thin the paint was on the fender of my car from the factory, they called Subaru of America to inquire about this and to see if anything can be done about this issue on their end. Subaru brushed it off as "not being a problem". Shows the quality of newer Subarus are lacking, and that they are not what they used to be and don't want to stand behind their product. I'm sure my 2003 Outback will continue to keep on going in the years to come. I know my 2010 will be dead long before my 2003 is. Sad, as Subaru was a great company with a great product. Not so anymore!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

In 7/2015 we purchased a 2014 Sub Outback w/ extended Gold plus package warranty (an additional $1,295.00). In 11/2016 engine began to slip, stall & burn excessive oil. Took to 3 Sub dealerships in our area. All completed "oil consumption test" acknowledged "excessive oil burning" but cannot duplicate customers complaints of "slipping" or "stalling." We continued to complete all recommended services through Sub dealership. At each time Techs would perform "oil consumption test" acknowledge "excessive oil lost but cannot locate source. Customer should add oil every 2000 miles." At each visit we complained about slippage and stalling. At each visit they claimed vehicle was fine other than oil consumption. Side note our coolant was always overfilled...

The kicker is we were in so much, we began to develop a relationship with the techs, to the point some of them would tell us that our vehicle needed a new transmission and we were right!! Then one visit to our surprise, The cust. serv. MGR approached us, apparently he had been going to bat for us and had obtained CORP approval for new Transmission. The dealership kept our Outback for 10 days. Came to pick up our vehicle. To our surprise the vehicle wasn't touched. Apparently the owner of the dealership felt he needed to look things over but couldn't do so because he was out of town. CANT MAKE THIS ** UP. He then told us he wanted to drive the vehicle to verify it did in fact need a new transmission. Keep in mind we have the GOLD PLUS WARRANTY package which covers the transmission!!!

We took our Sub back and were told by the owner if we felt any foul play to contact corporate. So we contacted Corp and opened a case, spilled out all of our past issues and waited. During the wait our Outback began to make a weird noise from the wheel area. Well back to the dealership we go. Car inspected. Were informed the noise is from the tires. Supposedly tires were not "fit" for the car. So the vehicle, which we bought from them, had the wrong tires on it... OK so we buy new tires, noise remains. CORP. calls us back after their "investigation" found nothing wrong with our vehicle. Also tells us nowhere in their system did he see the dealership have our vehicle for 10 days?!?! So we then had to prove that was incorrect with rental car paperwork as well as receipts etc... Apparently after that CORP still found no foul play or issues with vehicle.

On 2/17/18 we take our Outback to a certified 3rd party mechanic. Mechanic found transmission is about to give out, wheel bearing needs replacement, oil low (but they found the leak) and additional problems that were never revealed by the dealership. We have now composed a letter with our findings to Sub of America consumer complaint division in hopes someone will address this rogue dealership and assist us with our issues. If any of you have some useful information that will shed some light or assist us in our battle with this Behemoth it will be gratefully appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Driving on the interstate, my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek's transmission utterly locked up. Without warning, the car ground to a halt in the middle of the freeway and would not move, either in forward, reverse or neutral. Other cars swerved to avoid me. One car hit mine from behind and spun my car 180 degrees, placing me directly in front of oncoming, high-speed traffic. The car has only 18,100 miles. Anyone else experienced such a problem?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Blown head gaskets at 27,400 miles. 2012 Outback, top of the line version, so granted, it's not a new car, though we don't drive hard, have aged out of teen drivers, and follow service schedules. We live on a public transit line and this car has never, ever been used in rush hour traffic. Has anyone ever heard of any car, Subaru or otherwise, blowing head gaskets at mileage this low? Truth be told, this is our 3rd -- and no doubt last -- Subaru. None have made it to respectably high mileage. They're junk for high traffic suburban and urban driving. RIP, Subaru.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

2016 Subaru Outback limited - As my first Subaru and all the serious hype about how great this car is, I was personally very disappointed. Initially I was disappointed the limited had neither a panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel and power folding mirrors. The interior pocket room is very minimal. Glove and center compartment very small. I did not find it works for me as a parent of young kids. The backseat is small. The spacing barely contains a convertible reverse facing child safety seat. The materials are cheap and feel cheap.

MY MAJOR COMPLAINTS and reasons I am offloading my Subaru are: THE BATTERY my car came with a 325 amp battery out of the factory. I live in NE. It's cold. The car is high electronics. The crank power of that battery was not sufficient. Imagine my amusement when the day before Xmas eve in a snowstorm. I am stuck at work because my car won't start. Upon replacing the battery in my practically brand new car the passenger side window stopped working. Easy fix at dealer but still the inconvenience of getting to the dealer. THE STARTER the remote starter is AWFUL.

The range is very poor and it only works 50% of the time. Dealer refuses to replace. THE ACCELERATION Sometimes, when it's cold the car does not accelerate as it should. It seems to really struggle. THE SOFTWARE UPDATES my car started stalling and chugging. It turned out to need some software fix. Yet another trip to the dealer with a brand new car. THE BLUETOOTH extremely finicky. Sometimes it just drops connection mid call and won't reconnect. No idea why.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

On May 27, 2014, we purchased a 2014 Subaru Outback. We have complained multiple times about a leak in our roof and were told that the roof tracks had to be cleaned out regularly. The first leak occurred when our cup holders filled with water. The second leak occurred at a car wash which filled a cup with car wash fluid. Again, today while going through a car wash, my husband witnessed the leak from the corner passenger side vanity mirror. We have also complained about a chronic moisture issue to no avail.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I would give negative stars if I could. My family has owned 3 Subaru vehicles because we believed their lies about it being a safe and reliable car. We have young children. Never have I entered a car thinking there is a possibility that the engine will suddenly die and then burst into a raging fire. It is a miracle I am alive. It is a miracle our 3 year old is alive. Subaru and their lawyers are only offering credit for a new car. Seriously? Never will we buy another Subaru. Buy a Subaru if you’re okay with dying and your family dying just by driving their car.

Subaru Company Information