3.3/5 (1911 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Subaru Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

The safety features and it's so fun to drive! I really liked how it handled and reasonably priced. They have several models to choose from, but I am partial to the Crosstrek Sport, it has all of the things I am looking for and then some!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

I have had 5 new Subaru cars since 2006, all 5 cars were a pleasure to own, 2 Foresters, 2 Outbacks, and 1 Ascent. The cars are all comfortable, easy to drive and come with many extras as standard equipment. Great resale and trade. Highest rated for safety and insurance.Other

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Love my Impreza--it's my second one. Comfortable, feels safe, lots of well thoughtout extras. I researched a few dealerships before buying/servicing--some do it better than others. All in all, would buy another and recommend.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

With a 20+ year old Subaru and a 3 year old one I have unbelievable confidence in this brand. Other than an alternator failure there have been no issues. The number of winter situations they have gotten us through is a start, but the new one's safety features instill security and confidence.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

2019 Subaru Forester. I receive emails 3x week from Subaru touting how eco-friendly they are. The rubber blades of the windshield wipers wore out and I went to the parts department to get them replaced. Have to buy the entire blade even though I only need the rubber insert. If Subaru was REALLY eco-friendly, they would sell just the rubber inserts. I checked with the company and they told me they don't know where to get the rubber inserts, even though the new wipers they sell (for about $25 per side) come with the rubber blades. I finally found new rubber inserts online for a total of $4.50 (total for both sides). If you buy a new Subaru just be aware that they are NOT as eco-friendly as they try to portray.

Original review: July 21, 2022

When I bought my brand new Crosstrek almost 2 years ago, the salesman sold me an $1,485 "Equity Shield Optimum Vehicle Protection Plus" plan for any body damage that happens within the first 3 years. As it happened, some jerk in a parking lot swiped the front quarter panel and did some minor damage. The plan (from a 3rd party company) would not cover any of it. What a waste of money! I can't believe that Subaru would sell such a thing to their customers. But, apparently their salespeople get paid extra to pretend that the coverage comes from Subaru and to lie to their customers about what it would cover. The Equity Shield plan is an absolute rip off! Subaru should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: April 2, 2022

While getting out of the driveway in reverse, the car suddenly accelerated. Subaru after two months' "investigation" decided that the car was OK and even refused to fix the small damage to the body car.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I was disappointed to learn that Subaru would not cover the cost of replacing the engine in my car that is burning excessive oil. It currently has about 69,770 miles on it, but the oil burning started around 40,000 miles back in 2018. It was still under warranty when this problem started but it didn’t fail the oil consumption test, and we had a baby so my wife wasn’t driving it much. Then we had another, so the car was only driven some weekends, especially with the pandemic there weren’t many places to go. Fast forward to now, the past year and a half the problem is getting worse because I started driving it daily. I found out some engines have an extended warranty because this is a very common problem with Subarus, but since my car isn’t a manual it’s not covered. I called them a couple weeks ago, and after not calling me back when they said they would or emailing me I called again and and found out they agreed to pay $5,000.

Who agrees to pay more than half unless they admit their engines don’t hold up? The customer advocacy manager who called me (she must be the CEO of Subaru because she doesn’t have a manager above her) just went around in circles with me while refusing to acknowledge that this was a problem in 2018. She didn’t say I was a liar but pretty much she said it didn’t fail the test then so just because the oil light came on and there was no oil doesn’t mean it was burning.. O.. Ok? Even though the problem started 20,000 miles before the warranty was up it doesn’t matter. Subaru did offer to pay more than half of the $8000 engine replacement, but even $3,000 is a struggle for us being on one income, with only this one car. Even 70,000 miles is way too low of mileage to have this kind of problem.

It seems this problem is very common and this is all very disappointing. Even being on hold with them you hear recordings boasting about “the Subaru family” and how much they care. Well I must be the black sheep of the family. We loved our 2010 forester and traded it in in 2015 for This one. We still thought we would get a new one after this one but if we have to pay for a new engine 10,000 miles past the warranty because of a common problem like burning oil that started during the warranty period (there’s cars 20 years old that don’t have this problem) then no thanks.

We will not buy another Subaru again, not so much because of the problems, because hey problems happen, but we will not buy one because they are not willing to stand 100% behind their products (only 62.5% apparently). The car was burning oil at 39,000 miles and they admit that but it wasn’t burning enough to fail the test. Now it’s burning 23oz every 1200 miles. For a 2015 with 70,000 miles. I know, ridiculous. So anyways it’s a little more sentimental for us since we loved the car, but if owning a Subaru means needing a new engine at 70,000 miles then we will buy a different brand, and I recommend you do the same.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I have owned three Subaru's and just recently purchased my fourth which was a 2019 Certified Pre-owned Subaru Ascent Touring. I have had the car for a month when the transmission starting acting up. Upon taking it to the dealership twice to look at it the second time they have had it going on two weeks. Randy Marion Subaru technicians have been very helpful and they are just as aggravated as I am with how Subaru is handling my situation. The technician states he knows exactly what is going on with my car as he has witnessed it and I have provided them with videos of what is going on. The technician states that the chain is slipping on the transmission. Having a two year old in the car I find this extremely unsafe and if not fixed and something happens I will sue Subaru for all that they are worth.

My car is still under warranty having only 32,000 miles on it. I am still paying a payment on a car that I have not had in two weeks because Subaru is stating that the technician has to catch it on their computers for them to replace anything. Subaru has all these ratings for being such a good company that cares about their customers but I am highly encouraging people to stay away from Subaru after this incident which is not resolved. I have contacted the customer care line only to be told the support specialist would reach out to the dealership and get back to me which has yet to happen. I am so beyond irritated at this point. I just want my car back and I want it fixed.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I purchased a Subaru Forester in 2016. Five years later I’ve been told I have to replace a valve body for the CVT transmission. This is going to cost me $1700. Subaru knew they had problems with the CVT. They should’ve issued a recall, instead they extended the warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles. that means that you are at risk of having to replace your entire transmission after 100,000 miles. In addition Subaru is the only place you could have it repaired. They do not issue approval for after parts. A new transmission is $7000. THEY ARE A FRAUDULENT COMPANY.

Subaru Company Information