Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.99/5

Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

570 Subaru Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

My third Subaru - 2009 Outback > 2013 XV Crosstrek & now 2019 Crosstrek Ltd. Extremely impressed with reliability, dependability, performance and comfort. My only tweak = bring back additional lumbar support for driver and passenger front seat and a more powerful engine.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Positives: Roomy interior. Excellent cargo space. Negatives: Poor fuel mileage. I think company overstated MPG intentionally. Touch screen disappears in direct sunlight. Uses oil badly. Poor radio quality. My first and last Subaru.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I bought a new 2019 Subaru Impreza Sport. In the 5 months of ownership I have had to replace the windshield twice already and now I have to replace it again. Subaru has the worst windshield in cars. Subaru has lost a loyal customer because they cannot install a decent windshield in their cars. I will never buy another Subaru ever. I will buy either Toyota or Honda from now on.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Needed CVT transmission at 125,000 miles - Subaru headquarters offered $1000.00 as loyalty towards the purchase of brand new Subaru! Was quoted $7500.00 at dealership for new CVT transmission on a 5 year old car! Had a used CVT transmission installed and broke down after 2 weeks driving on highway at 65 mph and car bucked and lost speed - very scary but luckily no one was behind me so I could get off the highway. Now at the transmission mechanic getting diagnosed but now I am afraid to drive it due to the sudden loss of power. This is a major safety issue.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I bought a 2015 Subaru brand new thinking it will last forever. Just told I need a new transmission and it'll cost 7000 dollars. I still owe 10000 on it. What a joke. This car should last 300,000 not 130,000.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Major transmission issues within the first 25000 miles, 2 years. Brought my manual 2017 WRX in due to noise in transmission area. They said some parts need to be replaced (bearing, etc) and they installed plate, cover, spring, fork, bearing, flywheel and the whole thing. Picked it up on Wednesday and on Thursday while driving on the freeway something popped in the transmission area and the car was towed back in the shop (Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City California) in less than 24 hours from the time I had received it. This is absolutely unacceptable. I have been driving transmission manual cars for 30 years and to get this kind of performance at such low miles is scary.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I really believed that Subarus were reliable cars. I still owe $11,000 on my 2013 Legacy that's now worth $5,000 now and my transmission went. Since I have 121,000 miles on it, I'm out of luck. Subaru is aware of issues they have with their CVT transmission and in 2017, extended their warranty to unlimited miles. That extension expired on 7/31/18. Their response is that they can offer me a $500 coupon off of a new car. I completely lost faith in them. I thought that my car would last until 300k miles at least.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Do you want an engine with that car? That is my feeling towards being charged about $1200 to replace my bumper. It was a minor fender-bender and I went to a reputable collision repair shop. The $700 cost they originally estimated seemed reasonable, but when the bumper came in the cost jumped another $463, because it had to be painted!!! Seems like a rip-off to me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have been a loyal Subaru owner. I have owned 4 Subarus. In the last 6 years I have leased 2 outbacks and am planning on leasing my third. I have called and asked for my $500 Loyalty Reward which I used on my 2016 lease. I keep getting the runaround, transferred from one department to another with no results, how much more loyalty is needed! I will continue to try for another week, but I will lease a Toyota and become their loyal customer! Shame on Subaru!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

On my 3rd Subaru lease. I won’t go into details with their previous Mirror Link issues (lots of them). This review is regarding their Starlink Service. Big shout out to Maria at the Danvers location who was awesome while I waited FOR SIX HOURS AT THE DEALER DUE TO SOMEONE’S MISTAKE. We got through that. I’ll spare the details.

Purchased the Starlink Service. Took the time to set it up, registering, etc. Worked fine. Then out of the blue without warning, the services stopped. My car profile was wiped from the MySubaru app as well as the service. Someone made an error and must have confused it with the previous lease. Well after literally about a dozen calls and false promises, no one could figure out how to fix the issue. I called Subaru (not the dealer) and they couldn’t figure it out either. After more escalation, wasted time and apologies that do nothing, a supervisor got my credentials back into the MySubaru app and reinstated the Starlink services. All looked good until I went to start the car remotely, ERROR—you must have a subscription. Yet the app says I have a subscription.

Place another call to Starlink, they have no clue as to what is wrong. Pissed off is an understatement. If you want to deal with people that are clueless, can't figure out issues and make random mistakes, Subaru is your go to. I am literally too busy with a job, business and two little kids to be dealing with foolish errors and incompetent BS.

Also, please don’t leave me a regurgitated message saying you are sorry and to call you. You don’t answer the phone, I already tried that. Fix the issue is all you have to do. My sorry jar is already filled up with apologies that are useless. Lastly, no---you don’t understand. If you did, the issue would have never happened. Should you waste my time to have to go to the dealer—a major inconvenience—I will not sit there for hours while you figure out the issue. My time is extremely valuable and I hate wasting it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was involved in an accident on November 9 and took my 2018 Crosstrek into a good body shop in town to get fixed. It is still there 6 WEEKS later because the body shop can’t get parts from Subaru to fix it! The last part they need is back ordered until Jan. 3! I've tried calling Subaru of North America and my local dealer (Bob **, Fort Wayne, IN), and they keep telling me there is nothing they can do! My insurance only pays 80% of my rental, so I've been paying 20% of the bill this whole time! I will NEVER buy another Subaru.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Hi this is Subhkarmanjit **. I’m from Barrie Ontario. I bought Subaru Impreza WRX 2015 pre-owned certified hardly 4-5 months ago. I maintained my car properly did services on time. I got it on 95,000 kms and driven it all way to Vancouver hardly 4400 km one way. I heard some weird noises. I checked everything. I thought it was just driving it too much then after everything was ok I kept driving it until I driven back from Vancouver again 4400 kms all the way to Barrie Ontario then it’s also my daily drive car and I work in Brampton so I drive it from there to Barrie daily. Like 2 months ago I started having issues with my car. The engine lights started showing up and then my car started smelling like something like burning rubber and out of nowhere. And the rpm was like going up and I felt like clutch was slipping on 100 kph and high rpms and my gears were little stiff.

It’s not like that I never driven standard car before. I know how to drive standard. This is my third Subaru. I had 2001 Subaru Legacy before twin turbo then 2004 WRX and this is my 4th manual car. I sold my Jeep and got this WRX. I have this extended warranty from Subaru dealership when I bought my car for almost $3400 and I took it to dealership as I was told everything is covered in warranty so I went there. They diagnosed my car and after an hour service department told me it was just faulty o2 sensor and my clutch was started roasting and gears were stiff. When I asked them will they fix everything they said no they can’t fix o2 sensor until it completely dead and clutch is not covered as bumper to bumper warranty or my full warranty says everything is covered and they did nothing.

They just erased my all the faulty lights and charged me $121 for just looking at car and I had to pay ask them to fix my clutch in few days because they asked me to pay either for parts or labor and they told me they will give me appointment for another day so I can come and show my car again and get estimates. I waited. They never contacted me or called me. Then on 3/12/2018 I was on highway 400 at midnight around 12 am. I was coming from Toronto back to Barrie when I was changing my lane from right to left suddenly there was big blast under hood and my whole motor was blown and it was big black smoke on whole highway. I couldn’t see anything and also smoke was inside car. I was on 100 kph and suddenly motor started making weird noises.

I was so scared and was alone. I pulled it over to side and opened my hood. Saw big crack in engine near the alternator and everything was hanging even belts pulleys and was big crack in motor and oil spills coolant everywhere. I called my brother and other friends because I inhaled smoke and then my car was broke and I was alone. I called tow guy had to pay him $200 to tow it back. Next day I Went to Barrie Subaru dealership and they told me they will cover everything as I have full warranty and they will take report to SPP and they said they will contact me but they didn’t. I took all my tools and stuff from my car and got rental car.

Since then they didn’t contact me. I had to contact them and now the thing is they said spp checked and they approved my repair and said motor will be replaced. I checked everything online did research and asked my friends as new WRX motor cost from $6500 to $10000 and with transmission and used ones from $4500 to $7000. I called Subaru dealership on 22/12/2018. They said they can’t fix the car. The repair cost they is gonna be $23000 and if I pay $6000 from my Pocket they are ready to fix it.

They told me my car market value is on $15000 and that’s wrong. I got my car valued before and from Barrie to Oakville dealerships. My car still value still stands at $20,000 to $22,000 and I’m so pissed hearing it. At this point that it’s been almost 23 days my car is standing at same spot. It’s not neither getting fixed or took cared. It’s snow season and my car is almost started catching rust and other things is how can a car repair cost $23000. I’m mechanic too. I know everything I have 3 yrs experience too worked in 2 different countries.

This is my biggest mistake. I bought Subaru. I wish I would’ve never bought it. It’s not getting fixed anytime soon almost gonna be month. I’m moving soon to other province. I tried to reach everyone. No one is ready to hear me so I’m writing this email. Please help me up with something or I will take this to court. I’m already so stressed about my life and then my car. I already have so many problems to deal with. Please do something soon or replace my car or something. I’m totally tired to going to dealership and contacting them again and again. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I had protective trim molding installed on my new Subaru Forester as part of factory accessories. A few months after receiving the new car, the passenger door molding came loose. The problem was caused by an admitted poor design. This piece on both sides was attached only with 2 way tape. Although Subaru replaced the molding, because of the poor 2 way tape design, it continued to fall off every few months. Subaru did keep its word that it would continue to replace the molding if it fell off again, due to the poor design, even after the warranty period, as it had not been permanently fixed from the beginning.

After a dozen repairs over the years, Subaru has now decided they will no longer honor the warranty, and will no longer fix their poor design. I had to drill holes and put bolts into the trim to make sure the last repair now held. I see that Subaru "Love" only is temporary. And I see new Subarus at the dealer also use two way tape to hold protective molding. The dealer has repeatedly said the molding is likely falling off because I drive on some gravel and dirt roads. If you plan on taking a car off paved roads and want an honest warranty, I would not recommend a Subaru, that is a taped together vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We have taken our 2017 Subaru in 5 times to fix this problem: while driving the check engine and other warning lights come on and safety features like lane change turn off. We are losing faith in Subaru. This didn't happen with the car right away. We've been told it was related to fuel issues, computer issues, something different each time. I don't think they know what is causing the problem.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Car brakes for no reason. Lane assist does not work properly and is dangerous. Fuel gauge recall left my wife and 2 young children stranded. The worst part of my experience was with Subaru corporate. They are slow at responding to my concerns. I opened a ticket with them a month ago and they are still moving slowly. I waited 2 weeks with no response until I finally complained. Finally, they provided me with a 2019 Outback rental and it was not comparable to my vehicle at all. It had no GPS, no push button start, no leather seats, bad rearview mirror, no sunroof. I'm still in the process of dealing with corporate regarding that, and I was told by my dealership that I would receive a call from corporate. I was never called. I loved my first Subaru Forester but Subaru has officially killed their reputation, not just with vehicle quality, but also with customer service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I was in love with this car until starting to hear strange noises, mostly on bumps. Took it in for the first 10,000 km service and found out that the front passenger side strut failed. I only drive on highways and a bit around town (Toronto). No dirt roads, no impacts during these first 10,000 kms. Use it mostly for commuting. I am pretty disappointed with Subaru, expected more. Customer service said that this was not a quality issue... first and last Subaru I will ever have.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I stupidly believed the marketing and didn't do my research. This is an unsafe vehicle. The head unit says 60 miles left. Drops to 40. Then runs out of gas. Never let this car get to a quarter tank. Ran out of gas at midnight coming home from work. I had to leave my car in the middle of road. And bonus! Had to deal with a creepy dude harassing me! Fun. Luckily a nice couple scared him off. Subaru finally recalled this car for this specific issue. They need to replace the head units but won't do that. We had this gas issue fixed before the recall. Be aware. It took two weeks and was messed up. Xmode stopped working which we didn't find out until we needed it on a gravel road in the mountains. Also the software didn't match the features of the car. It is a messed up situation and I feel like an idiot buying this expensive car. I will never buy another and never recommend this car to anyone. The marketing is great. The car is not.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Subaru "MADE" good vehicles... But, then they went cheap. My 2013 Forester burned oil worse than an old WWII airplane... "It's normal", Subaru said. Traded it for a 2015 Forester, no more oil burning issues, but now a crappy CVT transmission that bucked, stalled and hesitated upon acceleration all the time... "It's normal" Subaru said. Well, no more Subaru's for me. No more CVTs for me. Got me a Toyota Rav4 with a "normal" automatic transmission and ZERO problems in many miles ever since.

All of these CVTs are junk and causing problems, just Google CVT Problems with Nissans, some Toyotas, Subarus, etc, etc., and be ready to read pages upon pages of negative reviews. Many manufacturers like Subaru and Nissan have current class action suits pending. What a joke! To gain maybe 1-MPG, they jeopardized the goodwill and loyalty of their customers. Good to know that many other companies have not gone this way. Maybe that's the reason they have top sellers like the Toyota Rav4 with a normal automatic transmission. Do yourself a BIG favor, avoid headaches and stay away from CVTs at all cost!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Subaru has had a history of head gasket failures due to the flat, boxer-style engine design! I heard from a local mechanic that the issues from around 1999 to mid-2000's had been addressed and corrected. No way! This will always be a chronic, ongoing issue with Subaru engines! I am the original owner of a 2010, 2.5 4c Subaru Outback. I have babied my car and had all maintenance done on time, including oil changes and 60,000 mile service at a local Subaru dealer. It is low mileage at approx. 94,000 miles, purchased in May of 2010, so just over 8 years old as of October, 2018.

Please also note, if you are in the market for a used Outback, that with the new body style starting in 2010, Subaru removed the engine temperature gauge from the dash and didn't reintroduce until 2015! There is "no way" to monitor if your engine temp is running "high normal" or not, especially when there is a head gasket or A/C issue during hot, summer month! Buyer beware!!!

My coolant started to boil out of the reservoir and the only way I was alerted to this problem was due to the low coolant light flashing on and off for a brief moment at a time, twice over two days. It turns out, this was the beginning of a head gasket failure... at slightly less than 94,000! When contacted, Subaru corporate did not stand by their product, even knowing that hg issues are a built-in weakness/ongoing issue due to the shape/configuration of their flat boxer engine design vs the "V" configuration of say a more reliable Toyota SUV. Their staff dismissed my issue and would not help out in any financial or emotional way. They were actually aggressive, non-empathetic and accusatory!

I ended up paying well over $2,500 to get my car back on the road, not including a $400+ tow to my nearest dealer, in another state. It is interesting that Subaru advertising works so had to convince buyers that there is "longevity" to their product as in "98% of Subaru vehicles are on the road 10 years later." They fail to mention the cost to the owners to keep their cars on the road for that amount of time!

So, bottom line, if you are considering a new, newer-used or used Subaru, I would highly recommend 1) you do your research, 2) consider a different, more reliable brand such as Toyota, Lexus or Acura and 3) don't expect Subaru to stand by their product if you "do" have a major mechanical issue in the future, regardless of age and/or mileage! My entire family used to drive Subaru vehicles. They now all drive Toyota SUVs. I was the last holdout. I guess I am a slow learner, lol. Please save your hard-earned dollars and buy something much more reliable than a Subaru product! Happy car shopping!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

While on vacation our 2018 Crosstrek with 1900 miles stalled while driving 4 times. I was driving my daughters car and almost hit Crosstrek husband was driving because car kept stalling. When we returned car went to shop. 1st time it did it on service tech. They could not find out what was wrong, it is in shop after a week for 2nd time, Subaru is aware and we have had loaner for 2 weeks now, car is unsafe, Subaru did not like when I said Class action and asked that I would not call an attorney till after they look at it the 2nd time but I made the call and he is looking into legal action. These cars are a danger to all that drive them, I owned 6 Subaru’s and will not buy another from them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Never notified of CVT issue. Told me they sent letters regarding the issue but I never received anything. Once issue started on my car, they told me they couldn’t do anything because my car was outside of warranty date/mileage. My car is stalling while I’m driving, they claim it’s not a safety issue. They offered to pay 50% of my 2,000$ repair but I declined stating that these vehicles need to be recalled because of it stalling while driving. They declined and said it’s not a safety issue on them to deal with. Basically doing whatever they can to get around handling this situation. From what I’ve seen, when they started with the CVT transmissions back in 2012, those issues are still continuing to happen even on brand new vehicles.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I bought my car new from Schumacher of Delray, The purchase experience was the best I ever had, however I now have the car approximately 5 months and the radio head unit went bad. The safety features of the car were inoperative, and the gas gauge didn’t work. I took the car in immediately and they took it and loaned me a Forester. It is now 8 days and counting and I still don’t have my car back. I was planning to go out of state but they told me I couldn’t take the car out of state. We had to cancel our trip. I called Subaru of America, they told me they would get back to me and to date haven’t. This is my fifth and last Subaru.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Absolutely horrible customer service. Been working with both a dealership and with Subaru of America and both have been utterly horrible and useless. I have a continuous issue with my head unit (Google 2015 forest Bluetooth issue) and you’ll see I’m simply one of hundreds if not thousands of people dealing with this issue. Subaru refuses to acknowledge it and will not help with the fact they have placed a faulty head unit in my car. I will never buy Subaru again and I’m telling everyone to avoid them due to their extremely poor customer service. They do not care about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

CVT transmission failure. 9,597.70 plus tax for repair. Driving appx. 40 mph. Car shuddered, dash lights come on and car stalls. Took to dealer. Needs new transmission and torque converter. Car just past the extended warranty that Subaru offered. Subaru has known about this problem for some time... it is definitely a safety issue and the car should be recalled. Contacted Subaru headquarters with no success getting them to help with repair cost. Repairs should not cost as much as blue book value of car. I bought a Subaru because of years of hearing about their stellar reputation.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I purchased a 2013 new Forester in 2014. Almost from the start my oil light was on. The service department told me it was my imagination so that should have been a red flag. After complaining at every oil change for months they finally replaced the sensor. Oil light still was on. Fast forward to 2017 replaced sensor again and the light is off. However, now it seems I have no oil ever! I always bring my car in for service exactly when it's scheduled. Every time now for the entire 2017 and 2018 period I have been out of oil. They did an oil consumption test and happily said all was good. Last time it was in they put a statement on my invoice that says I need to check my oil at least twice a month! I have 50,000 miles, the car is 4 years old and Should not have to do that! I have gone 900 miles since the last oil change and I'm out of oil! Plus the light hasn't come on. I think they just disconnected it. I'm done!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I just bought a 2014 Subaru Impreza from Subaru of Burlingame 9 months ago. I never bought a used car before but I figured I would be safe buying it from Subaru dealership as is. I was so wrong. 17,000 miles later I have blown head gaskets about the car at 45,000 miles. It is currently at 60,114. After taking it into the dealership and being diagnosed I called Subaru of America right away, explained my situation. I had a Subaru representative tell me he was advocating for me but in the end they told me, "Sorry not our problem." Only owned this car for nine months. I am devastated. I still have a very large loan on this car I’m paying for and have no car to drive. I’m going to do everything I can, to fight these people through social media platform, through the city of Burlingame, to anybody who will listen to me. This was my first Subaru and my last!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Please, please, please STOP recommending Subaru cars as being reliable. I have purchased two of them based on Consumer Reports recommendations and both have had major expensive repairs. I am old, have had all the routine maintenance done and still have had lots of problems. The 2010 Forester (that was said to be a very reliable car) needed to have its head gasket replaced at 95K (turns out they had lots of head gasket issues) and the 2011 Outback's CVT just went out, 3 weeks after the extended warranty expired (expired on July 31, 2018).

As I stated earlier, I am old (retired) and cannot afford a costly fix on a car that is only 7 years old. I have contacted Subaru of America to see if they would help me and all they do is say that they are waiting to be contacted by the local dealer (where I took the car to be repaired) but the local dealer called me to tell me that they have called Subaru of America twice and no one ever responds. Does this sound like a reputable company? Shoot, if they are not going to help me, can't they at least tell me? Maybe they used to be reliable but that time has passed.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

This review only refers to the Service Department of Koeppel Subaru in Queens, NY because I purchased my Subaru in another state so I do not have any experience with their car sales. However, I generally do have good experience with Subaru dealership service centers so I was surprised that Koeppel felt like going to a mechanic shop instead. Online it appears that you can schedule a drop-off of your car but when I arrived they had no knowledge of the appointment. They hassled me about every point including the problem with the car, the price, why I didn't want to stay with the car when I had to go to work, why I didn't pick it up sooner, etc... It would have been fine if they had not followed up with an email about my complaints to continue to badger me and blame me for my bad experience. There was never once an apology.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Two accidents with 2016 Forester. No. 1. While sitting in my car at a drive in restaurant in park position, my car suddenly moved backwards across the parking lot before hitting another vehicle. Several diners saw this happen. Police were called and wrote a report. I got no ticket. I contacted McGovern Subaru and told them what happened, They said that they would call the Subaru headquarters. A few days later, I was told that they had never hear of this. The dealership never contacted me again.

No. 2 June 16 2018: With the keys in my hand, ready to get out of the car, it suddenly started moving forward as if driven by its battery. Before I could do anything, it went through my fence, knocked over two full 100 gallon propane gas cause one to spewing to spewing it in the air and hit my screen house, destroying it. Estimated damage: $13,000. There is a witness to this. The fire and police departments were on the scene in minutes and traffic was routed to other streets. I immediately reported this to McGovern Subaru. It took five days wrangling between the towing company and the dealership before it was delivered. Two weeks later no work has been done. Excuse: Waiting for an expert from Subaru using a computer to analyze the problem.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The CVT shift simulator (Ascent) is constantly out of sync and shifting up and down. This is especially noticeable during initial start. This needs to either be disabled or at the very least a user selectable option.

Subaru Company Information