Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.80/5

Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

575 Subaru Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 20, 2018

The car is a 2017 Outback and has served us extremely well for almost a year. We travel a good deal and the car has always gotten us to where we are going; in spite of the navigation system. The navigation system, which I have nicknamed "Miss Direction" keeps trying to kill us. It consistently tells us to enter I84 in Ontario, OR on the off ramp. On our way to Sun Valley, it tried to route us on cow paths and insisted we turn around or turn right into a river. The system said the direct route (ID 75) was blocked by a rock slide (which kept moving ahead of us) and would take three hours to traverse. I took it anyway and arrived in twenty minutes without difficulty. The entire time, the system kept trying to divert us and finally relented when the motel was within sight. The car is superb but I can't trust the navigation system.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I bought the Legacy L with 320,000 miles on it and after putting another 3200 miles on it, the car still runs great. I did not purchase the vehicle from a dealership, I purchased it used from a private owner that I knew from the store I worked at. The asking price was $1500 which was great. He knew that I needed a reliable vehicle to get me back. I like that it is an AWD and is an excellent car to do road trips. Climbs mountains & rocks like a 4WD, but can still drive in the city and neighborhood like a RWD. It can go over anything and has power windows, 5 speed and cruise control. It is very roomy, & comfortable. The back seat comes out giving extra room for everything or everyone that you need to travel with you.

The #1 thing I dislike is the automatic seatbelts. They choke me every time I start the car. I would take out that feature and just put in the manual seatbelts. But other than that, the Subaru Legacy L has probably been the best car that I have ever purchased and would definitely purchase again, when this one decides to die on me, lol!

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have the Subaru Forester. I love that model because it's an all terrain vehicle. I like to go camping a lot so it's useful on those old dirt roads. Usually it is terrifying to drive on them because it's so bumpy and you feel like the car could turn over any second but with my Subaru it is smooth and I feel safe! I really like my Subaru. It is dependable and safe. I have children so it makes me feel better driving with them in a car like that. I have actually gotten into an accident in it, just myself, but it wasn't that bad! I credit it to the safety precautions I got on it. It's also very pretty. I got it in blue which is my favorite color. Just seeing the car makes me really happy! The seats are a nice creamy white leather. And I got a flower scented air freshener!

I would improve however, the battery life. The battery in my car has a very short life span and I constantly find myself having to fix it. Granted, my kids do tend to turn the light on the car and we leave it on overnight. So maybe a fix could be an auto turn off on the lights after a couple of hours? That would be really useful since my family always forgets to turn the lights off.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The car is very reliable and I have owned it for 6 years. I for the typical maintenance on the car and have had no additional problems. It drives very well and handles the snow well. After owning a car with cloth seats, I would consider leather. While the cloth cleans up well, it's just not practical with kids and dogs. It's an older model and did not come with Bluetooth. It would be a nice benefit to have it. But price was a strong factor when choosing this car and it was affordable in comparison to competitors. I have a huge sunroof which I love. I love the large trunk space in my Forester and how the seats fold down flat in the back.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was looking for an SUV that had all wheel drive or 4-wheel drive options. This one fits both of those requirements. It is reliable, peppy, looks nice, easy to travel in (and mostly comfortable), and large enough to haul things. It is easy to install roof racks for sports items like kayaks and paddle boards. It easily goes from highways to off-roading. It also has more than enough features like heated seats and heated mirrors. I love the vehicle and the versatility that it provides. However, I dislike that there's a known oil issue with the engine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: May 14, 2019

My cousin recently bought a car at the Brunswick Subaru Dealer. She got everything she wanted. The next day the dealer called back and said they accidentally sold the car to her at too low of a discount rate and they would like her to come back and resign a new purchase agreement $5000 higher than the original agree amount. I would love to see the contract in writing with highlighted areas where the said mistake was made and a full explanation of the numbers as to how it was a mistake along with the highlighted areas in the contract that give them the right to cancel the previous agreement for a new agreement. I also referred her to my attorney hoping he can find her a good consumer protection attorney.

After complaining about the experience on Google reviews I received a response to contact the Sales Manager Mike **. I relayed the message to my cousin. You had the privilege of talking to Eli ** who was rude demanding that she return the car or re-sign a new purchase agreement. Personally this whole thing sounds shady to me. How do you mess up your own purchase agreement when spending half a day with the buyers only to let them take the car home and call two days later demanding more money for their own failure of properly reviewing their own agreement.

I'm not sure what will happen or if this will be resolved at the dealer. I just want people to be aware of this dealer in Northeast Ohio and the tactics being used. Maybe a word of advice to the dealer if they ever read this negative experiences. Get around much quicker and to the owner hire customer centric Sales Managers who are willing to own their mistakes and meet the customer half way instead of losing a customer for life and for the brand cause we definitely do not feel the love.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Charlie ** was referred to me, because my brother and all his family by all their cars from Milea Dealership on East Tremont Ave, Bx, NY. Charlie was helpful as I turned my old Forester in, for an excellent trade in value - while they had a new one ready for me, with exceptional new safety features, and everything I needed in a car. Thank you for excellent professional timely service!! Everything was perfect and I am grateful for such an A+ experience with everyone I encountered, who could not have been more helpful!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I purchased my 2008 Subaru Legacy in 2016 and absolutely love the car. I have never had a better car but when the airbag recall took effect that's when I found out the recall on the dashboard for melting and causing the reaction of not being able to see when the sun was shining on it. So when I called to get the dash done under the warranty they would not honor it. I just recommend when you do buy a Subaru make sure to actively check for recalls because on the airbag recall I have received over 100 notices but none for the dash. Thanks.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I bought Outback 2017 in Sept 2017. 3 mos later GPS froze then hatch flew open while I was parking & my dog jumped out. Dealer said electronics needed reprogramming & done. A year later, GPS froze again, hatch slightly jammed on rubber mat, hatch stuck closed. AAA to the rescue, dealer said needed reprogramming & done. New battery. 4 mos later, I used radio while car stopped for 10 min, drained battery, needed AAA again to jump. Told I was using too many electronic features like the radio! Now 3/2019, GPS froze, hatch stuck shut, AAA jumped. Dealer said rubber mat jammed - NOT, it was 1 mm over the space, I am careful, but yes dog jumps in & out. Told interior light of hatch was on because it jammed & drained battery overnight.

Extremely unreliable and unsafe in my opinion. Have spent hundreds of dollars in time, Ubers, taxis not to mention lost doctors appointments etc. Internet has websites of hundreds of Subaru owners with identical problems with 2016 - 2018 Subaru outbacks and foresters. Complaints of similar parasitic battery drainage for numerous reasons. They need to redesign the electronics, especially the malfunctioning sensitive hatchback and interior lights, size of battery and hatch rubber mat. Will it take a class action to get them to do this? For sale: 2017 Outback, 19,000 miles, all the bells and whistles, then some. CHEAP. (getting a Volkswagen).

Original review: March 26, 2019

My 2014 Subaru Forester was amazing when I first purchased it in Nov of 2013. I loved it. That loved was short lived. This vehicle burns SOOO MUCH oil. It's not even funny. I complained every time I took it to the dealership and they just said it was normal and to keep watching it. I recently went into the dealership and found out that back in 2015 Subaru issued an extended warranty for the oil consumption issue, however, I was WAY over the mileage. Why did no one mention this to me??? Why did I get no communication through the mail???

I emailed the corporate customer service area and they wanted to argue with me over this, saying they had sent communication and they would not honor the warranty since I was over the mileage. The ONLY assistance they wanted to provide was $500 off a new purchased or leased vehicle. Ummm, excuse me but I don't have a car payment and no way in heck I'm going to get one because of another Subaru. So, instead I'm spending $6,000 to get the engine rebuilt and never purchasing another Subaru. Reading all these reviews just confirms that Subaru has AWFUL customer service and they don't care if they lose customers or not. I'm sorry but I'm going to purchase my next vehicle from a car company that cares and works with their customers. Sorry Subaru but you guys suck.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My third Subaru - 2009 Outback > 2013 XV Crosstrek & now 2019 Crosstrek Ltd. Extremely impressed with reliability, dependability, performance and comfort. My only tweak = bring back additional lumbar support for driver and passenger front seat and a more powerful engine.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Positives: Roomy interior. Excellent cargo space. Negatives: Poor fuel mileage. I think company overstated MPG intentionally. Touch screen disappears in direct sunlight. Uses oil badly. Poor radio quality. My first and last Subaru.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I bought a new 2019 Subaru Impreza Sport. In the 5 months of ownership I have had to replace the windshield twice already and now I have to replace it again. Subaru has the worst windshield in cars. Subaru has lost a loyal customer because they cannot install a decent windshield in their cars. I will never buy another Subaru ever. I will buy either Toyota or Honda from now on.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Needed CVT transmission at 125,000 miles - Subaru headquarters offered $1000.00 as loyalty towards the purchase of brand new Subaru! Was quoted $7500.00 at dealership for new CVT transmission on a 5 year old car! Had a used CVT transmission installed and broke down after 2 weeks driving on highway at 65 mph and car bucked and lost speed - very scary but luckily no one was behind me so I could get off the highway. Now at the transmission mechanic getting diagnosed but now I am afraid to drive it due to the sudden loss of power. This is a major safety issue.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I bought a 2015 Subaru brand new thinking it will last forever. Just told I need a new transmission and it'll cost 7000 dollars. I still owe 10000 on it. What a joke. This car should last 300,000 not 130,000.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Major transmission issues within the first 25000 miles, 2 years. Brought my manual 2017 WRX in due to noise in transmission area. They said some parts need to be replaced (bearing, etc) and they installed plate, cover, spring, fork, bearing, flywheel and the whole thing. Picked it up on Wednesday and on Thursday while driving on the freeway something popped in the transmission area and the car was towed back in the shop (Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City California) in less than 24 hours from the time I had received it. This is absolutely unacceptable. I have been driving transmission manual cars for 30 years and to get this kind of performance at such low miles is scary.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I really believed that Subarus were reliable cars. I still owe $11,000 on my 2013 Legacy that's now worth $5,000 now and my transmission went. Since I have 121,000 miles on it, I'm out of luck. Subaru is aware of issues they have with their CVT transmission and in 2017, extended their warranty to unlimited miles. That extension expired on 7/31/18. Their response is that they can offer me a $500 coupon off of a new car. I completely lost faith in them. I thought that my car would last until 300k miles at least.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Do you want an engine with that car? That is my feeling towards being charged about $1200 to replace my bumper. It was a minor fender-bender and I went to a reputable collision repair shop. The $700 cost they originally estimated seemed reasonable, but when the bumper came in the cost jumped another $463, because it had to be painted!!! Seems like a rip-off to me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have been a loyal Subaru owner. I have owned 4 Subarus. In the last 6 years I have leased 2 outbacks and am planning on leasing my third. I have called and asked for my $500 Loyalty Reward which I used on my 2016 lease. I keep getting the runaround, transferred from one department to another with no results, how much more loyalty is needed! I will continue to try for another week, but I will lease a Toyota and become their loyal customer! Shame on Subaru!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

On my 3rd Subaru lease. I won’t go into details with their previous Mirror Link issues (lots of them). This review is regarding their Starlink Service. Big shout out to Maria at the Danvers location who was awesome while I waited FOR SIX HOURS AT THE DEALER DUE TO SOMEONE’S MISTAKE. We got through that. I’ll spare the details.

Purchased the Starlink Service. Took the time to set it up, registering, etc. Worked fine. Then out of the blue without warning, the services stopped. My car profile was wiped from the MySubaru app as well as the service. Someone made an error and must have confused it with the previous lease. Well after literally about a dozen calls and false promises, no one could figure out how to fix the issue. I called Subaru (not the dealer) and they couldn’t figure it out either. After more escalation, wasted time and apologies that do nothing, a supervisor got my credentials back into the MySubaru app and reinstated the Starlink services. All looked good until I went to start the car remotely, ERROR—you must have a subscription. Yet the app says I have a subscription.

Place another call to Starlink, they have no clue as to what is wrong. Pissed off is an understatement. If you want to deal with people that are clueless, can't figure out issues and make random mistakes, Subaru is your go to. I am literally too busy with a job, business and two little kids to be dealing with foolish errors and incompetent BS.

Also, please don’t leave me a regurgitated message saying you are sorry and to call you. You don’t answer the phone, I already tried that. Fix the issue is all you have to do. My sorry jar is already filled up with apologies that are useless. Lastly, no---you don’t understand. If you did, the issue would have never happened. Should you waste my time to have to go to the dealer—a major inconvenience—I will not sit there for hours while you figure out the issue. My time is extremely valuable and I hate wasting it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was involved in an accident on November 9 and took my 2018 Crosstrek into a good body shop in town to get fixed. It is still there 6 WEEKS later because the body shop can’t get parts from Subaru to fix it! The last part they need is back ordered until Jan. 3! I've tried calling Subaru of North America and my local dealer (Bob **, Fort Wayne, IN), and they keep telling me there is nothing they can do! My insurance only pays 80% of my rental, so I've been paying 20% of the bill this whole time! I will NEVER buy another Subaru.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Hi this is Subhkarmanjit **. I’m from Barrie Ontario. I bought Subaru Impreza WRX 2015 pre-owned certified hardly 4-5 months ago. I maintained my car properly did services on time. I got it on 95,000 kms and driven it all way to Vancouver hardly 4400 km one way. I heard some weird noises. I checked everything. I thought it was just driving it too much then after everything was ok I kept driving it until I driven back from Vancouver again 4400 kms all the way to Barrie Ontario then it’s also my daily drive car and I work in Brampton so I drive it from there to Barrie daily. Like 2 months ago I started having issues with my car. The engine lights started showing up and then my car started smelling like something like burning rubber and out of nowhere. And the rpm was like going up and I felt like clutch was slipping on 100 kph and high rpms and my gears were little stiff.

It’s not like that I never driven standard car before. I know how to drive standard. This is my third Subaru. I had 2001 Subaru Legacy before twin turbo then 2004 WRX and this is my 4th manual car. I sold my Jeep and got this WRX. I have this extended warranty from Subaru dealership when I bought my car for almost $3400 and I took it to dealership as I was told everything is covered in warranty so I went there. They diagnosed my car and after an hour service department told me it was just faulty o2 sensor and my clutch was started roasting and gears were stiff. When I asked them will they fix everything they said no they can’t fix o2 sensor until it completely dead and clutch is not covered as bumper to bumper warranty or my full warranty says everything is covered and they did nothing.

They just erased my all the faulty lights and charged me $121 for just looking at car and I had to pay ask them to fix my clutch in few days because they asked me to pay either for parts or labor and they told me they will give me appointment for another day so I can come and show my car again and get estimates. I waited. They never contacted me or called me. Then on 3/12/2018 I was on highway 400 at midnight around 12 am. I was coming from Toronto back to Barrie when I was changing my lane from right to left suddenly there was big blast under hood and my whole motor was blown and it was big black smoke on whole highway. I couldn’t see anything and also smoke was inside car. I was on 100 kph and suddenly motor started making weird noises.

I was so scared and was alone. I pulled it over to side and opened my hood. Saw big crack in engine near the alternator and everything was hanging even belts pulleys and was big crack in motor and oil spills coolant everywhere. I called my brother and other friends because I inhaled smoke and then my car was broke and I was alone. I called tow guy had to pay him $200 to tow it back. Next day I Went to Barrie Subaru dealership and they told me they will cover everything as I have full warranty and they will take report to SPP and they said they will contact me but they didn’t. I took all my tools and stuff from my car and got rental car.

Since then they didn’t contact me. I had to contact them and now the thing is they said spp checked and they approved my repair and said motor will be replaced. I checked everything online did research and asked my friends as new WRX motor cost from $6500 to $10000 and with transmission and used ones from $4500 to $7000. I called Subaru dealership on 22/12/2018. They said they can’t fix the car. The repair cost they is gonna be $23000 and if I pay $6000 from my Pocket they are ready to fix it.

They told me my car market value is on $15000 and that’s wrong. I got my car valued before and from Barrie to Oakville dealerships. My car still value still stands at $20,000 to $22,000 and I’m so pissed hearing it. At this point that it’s been almost 23 days my car is standing at same spot. It’s not neither getting fixed or took cared. It’s snow season and my car is almost started catching rust and other things is how can a car repair cost $23000. I’m mechanic too. I know everything I have 3 yrs experience too worked in 2 different countries.

This is my biggest mistake. I bought Subaru. I wish I would’ve never bought it. It’s not getting fixed anytime soon almost gonna be month. I’m moving soon to other province. I tried to reach everyone. No one is ready to hear me so I’m writing this email. Please help me up with something or I will take this to court. I’m already so stressed about my life and then my car. I already have so many problems to deal with. Please do something soon or replace my car or something. I’m totally tired to going to dealership and contacting them again and again. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I had protective trim molding installed on my new Subaru Forester as part of factory accessories. A few months after receiving the new car, the passenger door molding came loose. The problem was caused by an admitted poor design. This piece on both sides was attached only with 2 way tape. Although Subaru replaced the molding, because of the poor 2 way tape design, it continued to fall off every few months. Subaru did keep its word that it would continue to replace the molding if it fell off again, due to the poor design, even after the warranty period, as it had not been permanently fixed from the beginning.

After a dozen repairs over the years, Subaru has now decided they will no longer honor the warranty, and will no longer fix their poor design. I had to drill holes and put bolts into the trim to make sure the last repair now held. I see that Subaru "Love" only is temporary. And I see new Subarus at the dealer also use two way tape to hold protective molding. The dealer has repeatedly said the molding is likely falling off because I drive on some gravel and dirt roads. If you plan on taking a car off paved roads and want an honest warranty, I would not recommend a Subaru, that is a taped together vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We have taken our 2017 Subaru in 5 times to fix this problem: while driving the check engine and other warning lights come on and safety features like lane change turn off. We are losing faith in Subaru. This didn't happen with the car right away. We've been told it was related to fuel issues, computer issues, something different each time. I don't think they know what is causing the problem.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Car brakes for no reason. Lane assist does not work properly and is dangerous. Fuel gauge recall left my wife and 2 young children stranded. The worst part of my experience was with Subaru corporate. They are slow at responding to my concerns. I opened a ticket with them a month ago and they are still moving slowly. I waited 2 weeks with no response until I finally complained. Finally, they provided me with a 2019 Outback rental and it was not comparable to my vehicle at all. It had no GPS, no push button start, no leather seats, bad rearview mirror, no sunroof. I'm still in the process of dealing with corporate regarding that, and I was told by my dealership that I would receive a call from corporate. I was never called. I loved my first Subaru Forester but Subaru has officially killed their reputation, not just with vehicle quality, but also with customer service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I was in love with this car until starting to hear strange noises, mostly on bumps. Took it in for the first 10,000 km service and found out that the front passenger side strut failed. I only drive on highways and a bit around town (Toronto). No dirt roads, no impacts during these first 10,000 kms. Use it mostly for commuting. I am pretty disappointed with Subaru, expected more. Customer service said that this was not a quality issue... first and last Subaru I will ever have.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I stupidly believed the marketing and didn't do my research. This is an unsafe vehicle. The head unit says 60 miles left. Drops to 40. Then runs out of gas. Never let this car get to a quarter tank. Ran out of gas at midnight coming home from work. I had to leave my car in the middle of road. And bonus! Had to deal with a creepy dude harassing me! Fun. Luckily a nice couple scared him off. Subaru finally recalled this car for this specific issue. They need to replace the head units but won't do that. We had this gas issue fixed before the recall. Be aware. It took two weeks and was messed up. Xmode stopped working which we didn't find out until we needed it on a gravel road in the mountains. Also the software didn't match the features of the car. It is a messed up situation and I feel like an idiot buying this expensive car. I will never buy another and never recommend this car to anyone. The marketing is great. The car is not.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Subaru "MADE" good vehicles... But, then they went cheap. My 2013 Forester burned oil worse than an old WWII airplane... "It's normal", Subaru said. Traded it for a 2015 Forester, no more oil burning issues, but now a crappy CVT transmission that bucked, stalled and hesitated upon acceleration all the time... "It's normal" Subaru said. Well, no more Subaru's for me. No more CVTs for me. Got me a Toyota Rav4 with a "normal" automatic transmission and ZERO problems in many miles ever since.

All of these CVTs are junk and causing problems, just Google CVT Problems with Nissans, some Toyotas, Subarus, etc, etc., and be ready to read pages upon pages of negative reviews. Many manufacturers like Subaru and Nissan have current class action suits pending. What a joke! To gain maybe 1-MPG, they jeopardized the goodwill and loyalty of their customers. Good to know that many other companies have not gone this way. Maybe that's the reason they have top sellers like the Toyota Rav4 with a normal automatic transmission. Do yourself a BIG favor, avoid headaches and stay away from CVTs at all cost!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Subaru has had a history of head gasket failures due to the flat, boxer-style engine design! I heard from a local mechanic that the issues from around 1999 to mid-2000's had been addressed and corrected. No way! This will always be a chronic, ongoing issue with Subaru engines! I am the original owner of a 2010, 2.5 4c Subaru Outback. I have babied my car and had all maintenance done on time, including oil changes and 60,000 mile service at a local Subaru dealer. It is low mileage at approx. 94,000 miles, purchased in May of 2010, so just over 8 years old as of October, 2018.

Please also note, if you are in the market for a used Outback, that with the new body style starting in 2010, Subaru removed the engine temperature gauge from the dash and didn't reintroduce until 2015! There is "no way" to monitor if your engine temp is running "high normal" or not, especially when there is a head gasket or A/C issue during hot, summer month! Buyer beware!!!

My coolant started to boil out of the reservoir and the only way I was alerted to this problem was due to the low coolant light flashing on and off for a brief moment at a time, twice over two days. It turns out, this was the beginning of a head gasket failure... at slightly less than 94,000! When contacted, Subaru corporate did not stand by their product, even knowing that hg issues are a built-in weakness/ongoing issue due to the shape/configuration of their flat boxer engine design vs the "V" configuration of say a more reliable Toyota SUV. Their staff dismissed my issue and would not help out in any financial or emotional way. They were actually aggressive, non-empathetic and accusatory!

I ended up paying well over $2,500 to get my car back on the road, not including a $400+ tow to my nearest dealer, in another state. It is interesting that Subaru advertising works so had to convince buyers that there is "longevity" to their product as in "98% of Subaru vehicles are on the road 10 years later." They fail to mention the cost to the owners to keep their cars on the road for that amount of time!

So, bottom line, if you are considering a new, newer-used or used Subaru, I would highly recommend 1) you do your research, 2) consider a different, more reliable brand such as Toyota, Lexus or Acura and 3) don't expect Subaru to stand by their product if you "do" have a major mechanical issue in the future, regardless of age and/or mileage! My entire family used to drive Subaru vehicles. They now all drive Toyota SUVs. I was the last holdout. I guess I am a slow learner, lol. Please save your hard-earned dollars and buy something much more reliable than a Subaru product! Happy car shopping!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

While on vacation our 2018 Crosstrek with 1900 miles stalled while driving 4 times. I was driving my daughters car and almost hit Crosstrek husband was driving because car kept stalling. When we returned car went to shop. 1st time it did it on service tech. They could not find out what was wrong, it is in shop after a week for 2nd time, Subaru is aware and we have had loaner for 2 weeks now, car is unsafe, Subaru did not like when I said Class action and asked that I would not call an attorney till after they look at it the 2nd time but I made the call and he is looking into legal action. These cars are a danger to all that drive them, I owned 6 Subaru’s and will not buy another from them.

Subaru Company Information