3.3/5 (1914 ratings)
Find a Car Brands partner

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Subaru Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

I have been trying for days to get a hold of someone via the customer service line to ask a simple question. I've been hung up on a few times upon answering and the call back system either simply doesn't work or they actively don't return calls. I was interested in continuing my ownership with Subaru and I'm in the market for a new car. But if I can't even get even minor customer service support how are they going to treat me if I ever need real support in the future.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

I purchased a brand new Subaru Outback in March this year (2022). As I was traveling in my Outback in October 2022, I noticed that a crack in the windshield had appeared. I did not see or hear any kind of object that might have stuck the glass. I pulled over and inspected the windshield and did not see any evidence of an impact. There were no chips in the windshield. When I got home I researched the web and found out that new Subaru Outbacks have an issue with defective windshield glass. These reports are available at **, **, ** and subaruoutback.org.

I made an appointment with Fort Wayne Subaru to bring the car in for repair of the cracked windshield. When I arrived at the dealership, Fort Wayne Subaru ran a ballpoint pen over the cracked windshield and they claimed that there was a very tiny chip, not visible to the eye, on the windshield by the wiper blade. They put in a warranty claim to Subaru America and said I must wait for them to approve the claim before they would repair it under warranty. I waited two weeks, calling them back periodically and eventually they did not approve the claim. I was told by Trevor in the service department that they probably wouldn’t approve it since it was taking so long. I do not blame Trevor. Trevor was quite helpful throughout this whole ordeal.

I decided to go through my insurance to get the repair done and I had to pay a $500 deductible since I had no glass coverage. The repair was done at Fort Wayne Subaru on November 23rd by Mike who is the owner of Autoglass MD. Mike inspected the windshield and his expert opinion was that the crack was a stress crack due to a defective windshield. He took photos to document this. I personally visited the dealership during the first week of December and I spoke with the General Manager Connor ** who acknowledged the Subaru windshield issue and Connor promised me that he would investigate this and get back to me. As of today, December 23rd I have still not heard from him or anyone at Subaru.

I like my Outback but I will not buy another Subaru. Subaru America is an unethical company that does not stand behind its products and does not honor their warranties. I also feel that the dealership could have and should have done more for me. They were unwilling to go up to bat for me to get Subaru to honor my claim. It was explained to me that Subaru America and its dealerships are separate entities, and the dealership is not responsible for warranty issues with Subaru America. I completely disagree with this philosophy; they are both Subaru. The bottom line is that I am very disappointed in the way this situation was handled and I expected better service and more ethical behavior from a prominent Fort Wayne car dealership business and a large automobile corporation. I will probably not bring my vehicle into their service department unless I need to get something repaired under warranty.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

I bought a 2022 Subaru Legacy a few months ago from McCurley Integrity Subaru in Pasco WA. I have taken the car in to the Subaru dealership for service twice for the same issue: the head (the screen and brain for your safety features, music, maps, phone calls, etc.) experiences multiple glitches. For example, it often freezes, which means safety features are not available, phone calls are disrupted, and the map is not accessible. When the head is not freezing, it often completely blacks out. All of this happens randomly, on a daily occurrence, and when my phone data has full service.

Both the McCurley dealership and the Subaru manufacturer have said, in order to assess the problem, the glitches need to be duplicated. In my dealings with the McCurley dealership, they have not been able to reproduce the same problems that I’ve been experiencing, which means the issues have not been resolved.

I have sent videos and pictures of some of these glitches, freezes, and shutdowns to the Subaru manufacturer to help them understand the electronic failures. I offered these same videos and pictures to McCurley but they are not interested because they claim they need to see the problems themselves. The service department has not taken the time it needs to determine the cause of the glitches.

I have spoken with employees in the McCurley service and sales department who have told me the troubles I’m experiencing with this head failure have been a recognized problem with Subaru vehicles. Apparently, the electronic failures I’ve identified are not an isolated matter. I have taken time off work to bring my vehicle to the dealership service department during their regular hours, Monday through Friday, when the service department handles these kinds of issues. If I were offered a loaner vehicle, I could leave my vehicle to be assessed in the time needed without missing work.

I feel as if I’m getting the run around from both McCurley and the Subaru manufacturer. Both parties have different ideas of how to determine the cause of my car’s problems. When I call the Subaru manufacturer, they say they are waiting on McCurley. When I call McCurley, they say they are waiting on the Subaru manufacturer. I have not received follow-up calls or emails about next steps. I bought a brand new car, with a warranty. I would like my car to be fixed. The process to get it repaired seems like a broken one. Nobody has a solution or has taken ownership of getting it fixed.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

2019 Subaru Forester. I receive emails 3x week from Subaru touting how eco-friendly they are. The rubber blades of the windshield wipers wore out and I went to the parts department to get them replaced. Have to buy the entire blade even though I only need the rubber insert. If Subaru was REALLY eco-friendly, they would sell just the rubber inserts. I checked with the company and they told me they don't know where to get the rubber inserts, even though the new wipers they sell (for about $25 per side) come with the rubber blades. I finally found new rubber inserts online for a total of $4.50 (total for both sides). If you buy a new Subaru just be aware that they are NOT as eco-friendly as they try to portray.

Original review: July 21, 2022

When I bought my brand new Crosstrek almost 2 years ago, the salesman sold me an $1,485 "Equity Shield Optimum Vehicle Protection Plus" plan for any body damage that happens within the first 3 years. As it happened, some jerk in a parking lot swiped the front quarter panel and did some minor damage. The plan (from a 3rd party company) would not cover any of it. What a waste of money! I can't believe that Subaru would sell such a thing to their customers. But, apparently their salespeople get paid extra to pretend that the coverage comes from Subaru and to lie to their customers about what it would cover. The Equity Shield plan is an absolute rip off! Subaru should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: April 2, 2022

While getting out of the driveway in reverse, the car suddenly accelerated. Subaru after two months' "investigation" decided that the car was OK and even refused to fix the small damage to the body car.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I was disappointed to learn that Subaru would not cover the cost of replacing the engine in my car that is burning excessive oil. It currently has about 69,770 miles on it, but the oil burning started around 40,000 miles back in 2018. It was still under warranty when this problem started but it didn’t fail the oil consumption test, and we had a baby so my wife wasn’t driving it much. Then we had another, so the car was only driven some weekends, especially with the pandemic there weren’t many places to go. Fast forward to now, the past year and a half the problem is getting worse because I started driving it daily. I found out some engines have an extended warranty because this is a very common problem with Subarus, but since my car isn’t a manual it’s not covered. I called them a couple weeks ago, and after not calling me back when they said they would or emailing me I called again and and found out they agreed to pay $5,000.

Who agrees to pay more than half unless they admit their engines don’t hold up? The customer advocacy manager who called me (she must be the CEO of Subaru because she doesn’t have a manager above her) just went around in circles with me while refusing to acknowledge that this was a problem in 2018. She didn’t say I was a liar but pretty much she said it didn’t fail the test then so just because the oil light came on and there was no oil doesn’t mean it was burning.. O.. Ok? Even though the problem started 20,000 miles before the warranty was up it doesn’t matter. Subaru did offer to pay more than half of the $8000 engine replacement, but even $3,000 is a struggle for us being on one income, with only this one car. Even 70,000 miles is way too low of mileage to have this kind of problem.

It seems this problem is very common and this is all very disappointing. Even being on hold with them you hear recordings boasting about “the Subaru family” and how much they care. Well I must be the black sheep of the family. We loved our 2010 forester and traded it in in 2015 for This one. We still thought we would get a new one after this one but if we have to pay for a new engine 10,000 miles past the warranty because of a common problem like burning oil that started during the warranty period (there’s cars 20 years old that don’t have this problem) then no thanks.

We will not buy another Subaru again, not so much because of the problems, because hey problems happen, but we will not buy one because they are not willing to stand 100% behind their products (only 62.5% apparently). The car was burning oil at 39,000 miles and they admit that but it wasn’t burning enough to fail the test. Now it’s burning 23oz every 1200 miles. For a 2015 with 70,000 miles. I know, ridiculous. So anyways it’s a little more sentimental for us since we loved the car, but if owning a Subaru means needing a new engine at 70,000 miles then we will buy a different brand, and I recommend you do the same.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I have owned three Subaru's and just recently purchased my fourth which was a 2019 Certified Pre-owned Subaru Ascent Touring. I have had the car for a month when the transmission starting acting up. Upon taking it to the dealership twice to look at it the second time they have had it going on two weeks. Randy Marion Subaru technicians have been very helpful and they are just as aggravated as I am with how Subaru is handling my situation. The technician states he knows exactly what is going on with my car as he has witnessed it and I have provided them with videos of what is going on. The technician states that the chain is slipping on the transmission. Having a two year old in the car I find this extremely unsafe and if not fixed and something happens I will sue Subaru for all that they are worth.

My car is still under warranty having only 32,000 miles on it. I am still paying a payment on a car that I have not had in two weeks because Subaru is stating that the technician has to catch it on their computers for them to replace anything. Subaru has all these ratings for being such a good company that cares about their customers but I am highly encouraging people to stay away from Subaru after this incident which is not resolved. I have contacted the customer care line only to be told the support specialist would reach out to the dealership and get back to me which has yet to happen. I am so beyond irritated at this point. I just want my car back and I want it fixed.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I purchased a Subaru Forester in 2016. Five years later I’ve been told I have to replace a valve body for the CVT transmission. This is going to cost me $1700. Subaru knew they had problems with the CVT. They should’ve issued a recall, instead they extended the warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles. that means that you are at risk of having to replace your entire transmission after 100,000 miles. In addition Subaru is the only place you could have it repaired. They do not issue approval for after parts. A new transmission is $7000. THEY ARE A FRAUDULENT COMPANY.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I bought Subaru Ascent 2021. It’s my biggest mistake I did the wrong decision. My SUV have issues with seats. My driving seat is shaking while driving especially when you stop on signal or stop signs. When you move driving seats is shaking feel me be. I fell down backside so it’s scary and my SUV 2nd row right side seat is give bad noise when you are driving bumpy street like rough road. It’s only 10000 miles and feel I drove old car.

I take my SUV on Subaru service center twice. They are not able to fixed that issue. I guess they don’t have experienced technicians. They tried to fix and said it’s manufactured fault. Right now I am confused. What I gonna do. This SUV is not value to money so I decide to give review about my experience for helping people be careful before buying this suv make sure first check the seats in this SUV. After buying no one take responsibility. My car is under warranty but they didn’t fix. I go every week in service center and request them please fix my car.

Subaru Company Information