3.77/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

594 Subaru Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My first purchase, the one that instantly catapulted me into adulthood was my purchase of a brand new 2015 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited. I had researched the car ad nauseam. I had gone to many many dealerships around my state (MA) until I found the dealership that was able to make all this work come to fruition, Singer Subaru in Plaistow NH helped me sign on the dotted line and now I was the proud owner of a blue 2015 Subaru Impreza Sports Limited with black leather interior. I adored her. As it happens though a million devils follow the thing you love most, so a highway pothole claimed my first tire, so back to the dealership I went needing to replace the tire and the disk. And these past 3 years have followed suit with issues, a recall or two and more money spent on this love of mine. My dealership was bought by AutoFair and relocated to Haverhill MA.

This past August I took the car in for a heck up and aside for the regular filter replacement and oil changes, it also needed its CVT transmission changed. Today, 3 weeks later I wake up to a check engine light on. And I was beyond upset and worried. I bought a brand new car however I feel like the money I have spent for maintenance and fixes has taken a toll. Facing another bill in the hundreds for a pressure valve, I called Subaru Customer Care at 800-782-2783 to just voice my frustration and basically have someone hear me out. The lady was AMAZING, I wish I had remembered her name. She was beyond patient and kind and UNDERSTANDING. She said she would look into the issue and see if she could help me. I was happy to hear that I could be getting a discount but honestly having someone on the other line hear you out was amazing.

An hour or so later someone from customer loyalty department called me back and informed me that they had reached out to my dealership and would be helping alleviate the burden. I am glad I chose Subaru 4 years ago, and I will gladly be their customer for many years to come. I will pass this vehicle on to my father so he can finally retire his 98 Ford Windstar. Thank you Subaru!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

We bought an '18 outback last year October. It was in the shop nearly every month for various things that was wrong with it but mainly the radio unit wasn't working properly. After about 6 months of taking it in and them trying everything to fix it, they replaced the radio unit. Still had problems. The service manager told me that the best thing to do is set up a claim with Subaru of America. They were incredible. They offered me either an even trade of the car or a buyback. We chose the buyback. It took a while, but that was my fault as we were out of town a lot. They were patient with me and today they took the car back after inspection.

I would buy another Subaru because the car drove well, there was just other issues that couldn't be fixed with that particular vehicle. But mainly I would buy another one because of the way we were treated by them. They were so nice and helpful, it would be worth it just for the customer service. I hope they treat everyone like this.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

2000 Legacy Brighton (Wagon). I brought this used for $5500 with 96,000 miles in 2010 or 2011. I currently have 201,800 miles. I did have a spark plug blow out. The mechanic used helicoil instead of replacing the head and it seems to be holding (wood-knock), fan relays failed once causing overheating. Just recently replaced a failed valve cover gasket (by myself in about 30 minutes). My hood release cable failed a while ago. Trunk latch is sticky now. The rear "bonnet" leaked until I replaced the entire rear deck lid. This used to cause the light sockets to fill with water during rains. I went through 3 light bulb wiring harnesses before replacement. Also, a victim of their infamous rear wheel well rust patterns. I've replaced the exhaust once since I've had it too. I love this car. It's quiet as a mouse and 100% beast in the snow. I'm nervous about getting about getting another RU, as I've seen some pretty negative reviews.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Charlie ** was referred to me, because my brother and all his family by all their cars from Milea Dealership on East Tremont Ave, Bx, NY. Charlie was helpful as I turned my old Forester in, for an excellent trade in value - while they had a new one ready for me, with exceptional new safety features, and everything I needed in a car. Thank you for excellent professional timely service!! Everything was perfect and I am grateful for such an A+ experience with everyone I encountered, who could not have been more helpful!

Original review: March 19, 2019

My third Subaru - 2009 Outback > 2013 XV Crosstrek & now 2019 Crosstrek Ltd. Extremely impressed with reliability, dependability, performance and comfort. My only tweak = bring back additional lumbar support for driver and passenger front seat and a more powerful engine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Purchased my Subaru Forester in Greenwood, IN, a little more than three hours away from me. I didn't mind the distance because I thought I had found a good deal on a vehicle that I could depend on and would last me a long time. In the beginning of being a proud Subaru owner, I had all of my maintenance done at Gurley Leep Subaru in Mishawaka. When I brought up the excessive oil consumption of my car, I was told it was common for Subaru to consume more oil. They would always try to sell me unrelated maintenance whenever I was there. Eventually I stopped going there because I simply didn't like them. I brought up my oil consumption again at the new mechanic. They did a consumption test. Eliminating other causes, they determined it was something internal and were unable to perform the repairs because they didn't have the special tools unique to Subaru. So I went back to Subaru Mishawaka with the information.

I took my car in as soon as I figured out transportation while my car was in the shop for the day. A shuttle bus to town was the only option Subaru provided for me. I received the call with the expensive diagnosis. Fortunately, I had added an extended warranty on my car when I refinanced. They covered some of the work. A new cylinder head gasket was the primary diagnosis. This time-they had a courtesy car for me. The tech was also kind enough to call and ask me if I wanted them to replace my plugs, wires, timing belt, ball joints, etc. while they were at it. He told me it would only cost me parts and not labor because they were already in there doing work, "you'll have a whole new setup under there". I agreed. I asked him about my sway bars. He told me they were fine. Ironically, this is one of the parts they told me needed to be replaced when I was in for my oil change.

When I got my car back, nothing seemed different. I contacted Subaru again- I was told (again) that oil consumption was common in Subaru. I had a check engine light come on, I took it back to Subaru Mishawaka. They hooked it up to the machine, and said my catalytic converter starting to go bad. This was not under warranty. They changed my headlight and I was on my way. I returned to my local mechanic for maintenance. My car was driving funny and the light came on. The machine indicated I had a bad plug. I explained that I had recently had them change. The mechanic told me that it was the original spark plug to the vehicle, according to him, there is a marking on them when they come off the assembly line. This threw up major flags for me. I decided to go the Subaru Portage (which is just over an hour drive) and pay to have them check the head gasket to see if it was even replaced.

I explained my situation, oil consumption, etc. They determined the head gasket appeared to be new. I returned for them to diagnose my car. They found another $2000 worth of work that needed to be done in order to stop the excessive oil consumption. The tech replaced: oil pump, crank seal, a/c belt, idler pulley, time belt tensioner, and PVC valve. My warranty was out by this time. I pick my car. I don't even make it through an oil change cycle and my oil light is on. I check my oil- nothing on the dipstick. I call Subaru Portage right away. I add oil as directed/ take my car back. They find oil pressure sensor and leak behind Lh camshaft seal front cover. I asked why this wasn't fixed when my car was in there 3 weeks prior. They did the repairs. I pick my car up again and AGAIN my oil is extremely low- I, again, hadn't even made it through an oil change cycle. I called, and went back.

The tech wanted to do another consumption test. He wanted me to contact him in 1200 miles. During this conversation he asked me, "what color is your exhaust smoke?" What? I have no idea. I don't look at the back of my car when I'm driving. My car has been here 4 times, and you're asking me what color my smoke is. I didn't understand this. He told me that I would either need to get a new motor or a new car. He didn't tell me why.

I called him once my oil started getting low, which was before the 1200 mile mark. He restated that I would need a new motor or new car- that I wasn't leaking oil, I was burning it. I informed him Of this the very time first took my car to Portage Subaru. He said the piston rings sometimes go bad on these things, allowing the oil the slip through. So all this money that I spent fixing around the problem, I should of spent to pay off my car. Instead I owe on a car that is worth nothing. Instead, I have a car that failed to be dependable and last a long time. I feel that I was completely taken advantage of by Subaru.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I don't think I will purchased car Subaru again after I had a bad experience with Subaru located in Troy, MI. They had an advertisement said that if you had a test drive at their location, you earned $50 gift card, no purchased necessary. So I and my husband decided to go to have a try with this brand name at their location instead the dealership on Hall Rd. We went there, did a test drive, even purchased their car. After 1 hour, I asked them about the $50 gift card. They said they would mail it to my house. It has been 2 months now after I made the purchase, I received nothing. I called the salesman, emailed him, left voicemail, nothing, no response. I called his manager and left a voicemail, no response either. I think we did purchase the car, they don't care about what they promised and their customer anymore. I should never trust them. Worst service ever. Never come back.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I own a Subaru XV sport. Bought in 2016. Performance is good. Bad experience and disappointed. Recently found that the air cond Cooler Coil leak and the music player shorted. Spend large amount of money to replace both at the same time. Never in my life I have such an experience after owning about 10 cars throughout my 20 years. What a let down. I check with the sales guy and found out that I am not the 1st. Means there are flaws. Both is out of warranty. Also.. I Cannot imagine that major problem could have occurred in a Japanese car with a short period of time. Even Proton which is famous of problems does not have such major problem. Sincerely hope that the management to seriously look into such problem. What a let down.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I purchased a 2019 CrossTrek two weeks ago. The first time I drove it in the dark I was afraid the entire time. The headlights are weird and the high beams have a mind of their own. DON"T BUY A CROSSTREK!!!! I took it back to the dealer, who looked into it and said it is factory specs. I don't like it, but it is what it is. My problem is SUBARU!!!! I called to talk to them about it, and they said they would escalate it to "Resolutions." The woman from resolutions called and basically accused me of not returning the dealership's loaner car. You can imagine my surprise, when I have been talking with the dealership, and they hadn't said anything.

This woman (who is a poor poor excuse for customer service) started the conversation with "the dealership has been trying to get ahold of you for three days." What a liar (and what a wonderful way to start the conversation). I had talked to the dealership yesterday and the salesperson was supposed to call me and hadn't. He never had any trouble getting ahold of me - they have my work number, home number and cell - NO CALLS and she had the nerve to ACCUSE ME of not returning the dealership's property???? What????

I have never been so poorly treated, never less by a supposed "resolution" person. I have spent a lot of money with Subaru, this is my fourth (AND LAST) Subaru. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER THING FROM SUBARU, I HATE THE CAR AND AS FAR AS THEIR "Customer Satisfaction" that is BS, they don't care. I will bad mouth them until the day I die!!!! DON'T BUY A SUBARU, they won't support it, and they are awful people to deal with a problem!!!! And I have to live with a new car (two weeks old) that I HATE!!!! WATCH OUT FOR THEM!!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

300 thousand and most reliable car I have ever owned. 1997 Subaru still going with less in shop time of any car I ever drive/owned/seen before. Maintenance only including the big stuff. Love my Subaru.

Subaru Company Information