2.48/5
Based on 78 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

541 Subaru Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The CVT shift simulator (Ascent) is constantly out of sync and shifting up and down. This is especially noticeable during initial start. This needs to either be disabled or at the very least a user selectable option.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Hit a deer one week after purchasing. Had to wait OVER TWO MONTHS for parts and Subaru would only give loaner car if we had vehicle repaired at their dealership which is over 100 miles away! Battery was bad, finally got them to replace it. Tilt steering wouldn't stay locked. Wheel bearings went bad, no notice sent out. Numerous problems with driver information center touch screen, software only updated once, now other information has disappeared! Driver's seat developed a split, dealer said to call the 800 number since it's not warrantied. My Ford seats lasted over 15 years! If it wasn't for the comfortable ride, I'd get rid of it.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I own a 2012 Subaru Outback with 120k. We paid it off at the beginning of the year and are now being told it may need a new transmission. It has been in the shop for weeks trying to diagnose the problem. At the very least it needs a torque converter. I have called Subaru to ask for help but they are not willing to do anything because it is out of warranty. I won't buy another Subaru.

Original review: July 20, 2018

The car is a 2017 Outback and has served us extremely well for almost a year. We travel a good deal and the car has always gotten us to where we are going; in spite of the navigation system. The navigation system, which I have nicknamed "Miss Direction" keeps trying to kill us. It consistently tells us to enter I84 in Ontario, OR on the off ramp. On our way to Sun Valley, it tried to route us on cow paths and insisted we turn around or turn right into a river. The system said the direct route (ID 75) was blocked by a rock slide (which kept moving ahead of us) and would take three hours to traverse. I took it anyway and arrived in twenty minutes without difficulty. The entire time, the system kept trying to divert us and finally relented when the motel was within sight. The car is superb but I can't trust the navigation system.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium with 82,156 miles, the car was in perfect condition, always checked by experts, all maintenance on time, nothing aftermarket. I was driving yesterday and I pull over to make a phone call when I started noticing that smoke was coming out of the hood, and from the under dash, when I tried to get out of the car the doors locked up and was impossible to open, by then the flames were very high, I burned my legs and arms. I manage to break the windows with a metal piece I had in the back seat and escape from the vehicle me and my occupant. When fire department arrived they extinguished the fire and was able to take pictures and video of the incident, according them it might have been caused by a electrical issue. I'm glad to be alive but I'm still in shock because I Subaru is a very good car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: June 28, 2018

I bought the Legacy L with 320,000 miles on it and after putting another 3200 miles on it, the car still runs great. I did not purchase the vehicle from a dealership, I purchased it used from a private owner that I knew from the store I worked at. The asking price was $1500 which was great. He knew that I needed a reliable vehicle to get me back. I like that it is an AWD and is an excellent car to do road trips. Climbs mountains & rocks like a 4WD, but can still drive in the city and neighborhood like a RWD. It can go over anything and has power windows, 5 speed and cruise control. It is very roomy, & comfortable. The back seat comes out giving extra room for everything or everyone that you need to travel with you.

The #1 thing I dislike is the automatic seatbelts. They choke me every time I start the car. I would take out that feature and just put in the manual seatbelts. But other than that, the Subaru Legacy L has probably been the best car that I have ever purchased and would definitely purchase again, when this one decides to die on me, lol!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have the Subaru Forester. I love that model because it's an all terrain vehicle. I like to go camping a lot so it's useful on those old dirt roads. Usually it is terrifying to drive on them because it's so bumpy and you feel like the car could turn over any second but with my Subaru it is smooth and I feel safe! I really like my Subaru. It is dependable and safe. I have children so it makes me feel better driving with them in a car like that. I have actually gotten into an accident in it, just myself, but it wasn't that bad! I credit it to the safety precautions I got on it. It's also very pretty. I got it in blue which is my favorite color. Just seeing the car makes me really happy! The seats are a nice creamy white leather. And I got a flower scented air freshener!

I would improve however, the battery life. The battery in my car has a very short life span and I constantly find myself having to fix it. Granted, my kids do tend to turn the light on the car and we leave it on overnight. So maybe a fix could be an auto turn off on the lights after a couple of hours? That would be really useful since my family always forgets to turn the lights off.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I love my Subaru BRZ! It is perfect in every way. Only 500 were made in 2016! I didn't mean to buy a brand new car but am so glad that I did. It is my baby. Kick ** engine and spot package. However, I would like to have the windows tinted and all wheel drive option.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Great vehicle. Runs great and has good gas mileage. I love the heater and air conditioner. Also, I have friends that have bought the same model and they spoke highly of it. I definitely would not want to trade or sell it. Would recommend it to a friend and would definitely purchase another one.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Experience is well. It's a used 1999, so it has its fair share of problems, but runs overall pretty smooth. There's not many other features built into the vehicle because it's so old. I am still working on getting a few minor things fixed on it. But it's a basic car that will get you around. The car has a CD player that was installed into it and has been kept up in pretty good condition.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am very pleased with my Subaru. The gas mileage is great and for a four-cylinder engine it has enough get up and go. The car has room for five people and plenty of storage room in the rear of the vehicle. I also like the comfort. I have owned one before this one and was happy with it also. However, I would have gotten one with satellite radio. It only has AM/FM and I live in a rural area and stations are hard to get.

Original review: June 21, 2018

It is a great all around vehicle. It is unique, all wheel drive, excellent gas mileage, very comfortable, really fun to drive, handles well, very durable and dependable. Also, it is only a four cylinder but had a lot of get up and go. Love the all wheel drive and the excellent gas mileage as well. However, it is on the small side and is not as easy as some cars to get in and out of. Sometimes the maintenance can be costly and timing belt change every 80,000 miles is a must as well.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I like the Subaru Legacy because it has a lot of power. The color is look like an elegant color. All I need is in there and all in the navigation especially the most important. But I don't like it looks so old.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The car is very reliable and I have owned it for 6 years. I for the typical maintenance on the car and have had no additional problems. It drives very well and handles the snow well. After owning a car with cloth seats, I would consider leather. While the cloth cleans up well, it's just not practical with kids and dogs. It's an older model and did not come with Bluetooth. It would be a nice benefit to have it. But price was a strong factor when choosing this car and it was affordable in comparison to competitors. I have a huge sunroof which I love. I love the large trunk space in my Forester and how the seats fold down flat in the back.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Subaru is nice, safe, comfortable. I feel safe in it and I love the small perks like the backing up camera. The sunroof is nice to have, but I don't use it much. The rear seat heating seats was a plus, as well as the side view mirror defrost. The 4 wheel drive is something I really wanted too. However, even though the trunk space is bigger than my old Pontiac Vibe, it's still not big enough to fit my dog and stuff we need to carry on a family vacation.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I like the car's performance in bad weather like rain, snow and ice. The car keep me comfortable. I also like the all-wheel drive and heated seats. But I am disappointed with my Subaru in the cost of repairs. They are very expensive. Also, the windshield has been a bother and has broken numerous times. Rocks hit it and instantly put holes in the window. We have replaced the window five or six times.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Nearly killed four weeks ago visiting grandchild in Tamworth. 2010 WRX Impreza overheated and steering went outside Ebor NSW. Towed to Armidale. Now sits needing new engine as did not have new front drive belt at 48 months. Subaru mechanic thought was 125,000ks. Only done 100,000!!! Bought from Geoff King Subaru, serviced at Geoff King, believed their experience, who is to blame, not us. Have eight yr old WRX, immaculate, no engine, is cooked and nobody is taking blame!!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

The Subaru Impreza has been fairly reliable. I appreciate how great it handles in the snow and rain and other extreme weather conditions because it makes me feel safe. I chose this car because it was affordable in price and great qualities for its price. However, I wish it were easier and cheaper to maintain. The maintenance required to keep up the car has been very pricey and annoying. I also wish I had a higher more upgraded model that has nicer interior parts like leather seats.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I read about the Imprezza in Consumer Reports as it was their top car of the year 2016. It is an average car. It drove nice and at the time I was looking for an inexpensive car. I've had it for 2 years with some minor problems and I will be looking for a better car this year. It doesn't have all the features I would have liked and can't expect more. I also had a poor experience with the dealership. Also, I don't like that when I unlock the car it only unlocks the driver side door. I saw in an ad that they changed this for the next model year and you can now program it to unlock whatever doors you want. Lastly, I don't like that it doesn't have rain sensing windshield wipers.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was looking for an SUV that had all wheel drive or 4-wheel drive options. This one fits both of those requirements. It is reliable, peppy, looks nice, easy to travel in (and mostly comfortable), and large enough to haul things. It is easy to install roof racks for sports items like kayaks and paddle boards. It easily goes from highways to off-roading. It also has more than enough features like heated seats and heated mirrors. I love the vehicle and the versatility that it provides. However, I dislike that there's a known oil issue with the engine.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Please, stay away from the dealership in Richmond, BC...I wish I would give less than 1 star for this dealership. My friend help me gave the car key to the receptionist to have my car stored there while I was out of the country. A few days later, my friend called to ask whether he could come to have insurance canceled; but they couldn't find the car key at that time. Then, only until I came back to pick it up 2 months later, they found that my car was stolen??? What the heck!!!

My Subaru Outback 2016 was found abandoned in Vancouver after only a week it was found missing??? Someone had been driving my car more than 5,000 km. And what is more ridiculous is that the items left in the car was belong to their receptionist who was given the car key, which caused me wonder who actually stole my car??? I am very disappointed about how they handled the case, especially from their management, the guys named Tim ** and Mathew **. I have seen none of them said any words of sorry to me, never followed up with me, and kept asking me to deal with my insurance as if they didn't have any responsibilities. I am the fan of Subaru, but would never buy or recommend anyone to buy car from ANY OF SUBARU DEALERSHIP AGAIN.

Original review: June 6, 2018

In March of 2017 we purchased a brand new 2017 Subaru Impreza and we had 4 free oil changes. And a month or less before the each oil change the oil light comes on and on the last free oil change the light came on 2 wks afterwards. They kept the car for 3/5 days to find out why the car was consuming so much oil. When we went to pick up the car, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. They then wanted to do an oil consumption test. Never heard of this until it was done on my new car. They filled the motor with oil and said bring back at 1200 miles or more! Anyway we took it back and we were told, that we were going to check the oil level together after about 10/15 min. They came after 5 min to get us, (when we went outside they had already pop the latch the hood, not after,) that we were going to check the dipstick. I was suspicious.

Now... not trusting this routine at all. Or the technicians. (Plus they said it was the way the driver was shifting and driving, which affects the transmission and not the motor). After talking to the person who sold us the car, and their finance person? The dealer will not take the car back, they want to give us a new one. We don't want a Subaru anymore. We have tried contacting the Subaru manufacturer to no avail. I look up fuel consumption test and Subaru popped up. Never heard of fuel consumption test. I am afraid of owning a Subaru after this happening to a new car. I have heard good things about Subaru but now I am not so sure.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We have owned 2 Subarus, one 2002 where at approximately 67000 miles head gasket blew, we traded the car in for 2010 Subaru Forester, and now again the head gasket is leaking at 47000 miles. I'm retired and on social security, was told 2400 dollars to repair leak. Complained to Subaru. Said my warranty was over which I knew. I cannot afford to do repair. Also driver's seat has collapsed will cost 700 dollars to repair. Again no money to fix. This car was suppose to last us a good 14 yrs, now I'm stuck with a piece of junk and not very happy about it.

We were told when we bought 2010 Subaru that the head gasket problems had been resolved by Subaru, and this would never happen. Well lucky me it did. we only drive less than 10 miles a day, no excuse for this to happen. Will never buy a Subaru again. My daughter has a Outback also and her head gasket blown too, she will not buy a Subaru again, cheap car. I have a 2013 Toyota with 46000 miles, no leaks whatsoever, will definitely buy another Toyota, I have owned 3 and never had major engine problems like the Subaru.

Original review: May 16, 2018 We purchased a Subaru Outback new in 2013, after many oil changes our car started using a quart of oil in between every oil change. Subaru says, it is normal

to use a quart of oil in between oil changes. As time goes on, we have had it in numerous times and they cannot figure out why it's using oil. Subaru has known that there is a problem and they offered an extended warranty for this issue. Again, I️ keep working with the dealership and they now say, we need a short block. Interesting that now we am completely out of warranty. They are willing to give me 1,000 toward fixing the issue. The completed bill will come to $4,400. I will admit the car gets around beautiful in bad weather but that is the only happiness we have seen in this car so far. We were hoping to get 250,000 miles on this car but at this point we will have to get a new one soon. Just a fair warning, read all reports before you buy a Subaru!

Original review: May 12, 2018

Bought 2018 Outback last October. Have had continual issues with the radio console software rendering the car unsafe for navigation and destinations. They replaced software on 3-18-18. After 2 months same problem occurred. Navigation sent me to several wrong locations and console froze in back up camera mode all day. They installed additional software 5-11-18, but said there is no guarantee this would correct the matter and admitted that at least 20% of all new Subaru's are experiencing this problem. I have one car and a handicapped wife. If this continues I will have no option other than to seek remedy under the Ohio Lemon Law.

Original review: May 7, 2018

2016 Subaru Forster is ok. But compared to the Rav4 it is not as comfortable. There is not enough heat in the winter and the cabin floor needs more installation.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Subaru B9 Tribeca sounds like time when you shut any of the doors, or the close the hood, or the back door. Does not sound like it a good quality vehicle. It jumps into drive when you go from park to drive or even reverse. The CS players in the car go out after only a few times of use, and then it will cost you around $2.000 for a new one.

Original review: May 5, 2018

2014 Suabaru Outback Limited automatic CVT - I bought the car brand new April 2014. March 2015 check oil light came on while on vacation. Spent three hours at the dealership in Tallahassee Florida, changing the oil. Ever since then every 1200 to 3K miles the oil light would come on. I have repair ticket after repair ticket with them checking it tell me nothing is wrong, that the oil is low and they would either add oil or change it. I was never told that similar vehicles without a CVT were part of a class action suit. I was told the oil level being low was usage. Then I later find out that this is not normal and start demanding something be done. They did nothing, I have ticket after ticket where I complained about this while the car was still under warranty. They never mentioned anything about an oil consumption test.

After I researched online I found out about the engine issues. Took to the dealership where they put me through 4 oil consumption test in one year, due to not documenting the test, losing paperwork, technicians leaving, or overfilling the oil. Now the car is out of warranty and needs a new short block. Subaru does not want to replace it because it is out of warranty. I have my documents where this was an issue under the warranty period and they don't want to fix it. The technician and dealership should have contacted Subaru corporate about my car immediately when I started complaining about the issue instead of brushing it off as not part of the recall.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My car is a 2008, I bought it in November 2007. I have never had a problem with this vehicle and it has never left me on the side of the road. When I buy a new car, it will definitely be a Subaru.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Love the maneuverability of Impreza and how it grips the road! Great gas mileage! The price is great for what you get and I tell all my friends what a great car it is!

Not sure about Subaru?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Subaru Company Information

www.subaru.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business