2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Subaru Reviews

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Well I finally got to drive my 2019 in a descent storm that came through the Sierra Mountains on Saturday the 12/7/19. We started in a downpour and ended in a downpour and snowing in between, I am talking approx 1" of rain per Hour and heavy snow going over the Echo Summit. I have been living in the snow area for about 40 years so I considered myself kind of an expert with snow driving. What I dealt with so far -- First of all the car itself handle excellent on the snow didn't even have to put Crosstrek in XMode.

Know for the downfalls -- 1.) Headlights kept getting blocked by snow accumulation. I had to stop twice during the 80 miles through the snowing drive part and clean them off. 2.) Eyesight stopped working which didn't affect the car driving. 3.) The temp gauge was stuck on one temp probably due to the snow build up on the front of vehicle. 4.) the Fog lights were not an option due to snow accumulation on the front of the vehicle. 5.) Right side of windshield got snow build up due to the wiper wasn't built to clean that far over to the right.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

This is the best car I've ever owned. Although it's an SUV, it rides very well - not hard like my Jeep Renegade did. Passengers in the back seat tell me it is very comfortable. I have the "Limited" model, so it has some great features like Subaru's Eyesight. That feature is a game-changer for driving. I will never own another vehicle without that. I feel much safer since it keeps me from drifting into another lane, can brake quickly in an urgent situation and, best of all, driving on the highway with cruise control, the system adjusts your speed so that you never creep up too close to another vehicle. It's a must have for long distance driving. I love the fact it's all wheel drive. I feel much safer driving in rain and snow. Traction is awesome.

I'm super happy with my gas mileage, too. Average driving around town is usually upper 20's. On the highway, it's always in the mid to upper 30's. I tested it one time on an open flat interstate -- no hills, steady speed of 63 mph with the AC on. The computer readout showed 44 mpg. I've compared the computer read-out to the old-fashioned way to determining mpg's and it's usually off by about 3. That means I got over 40 mpg with the Crosstrek!

The Crosstrek has a CVT transmission (continuously variable, not gears) and, although a good number of people in Crosstrek social media groups complain about it, I've never had an issue. It's smooth and even feels like a regular automatic. The other typical complaint is that the engine doesn't have enough power. Is it the fastest car I've ever driven? No. Does it have incredible pickup? No. But it gets the job done. I've never had an issue, for example, pulling out onto a highway. Overall, 5 stars for this vehicle.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My first purchase, the one that instantly catapulted me into adulthood was my purchase of a brand new 2015 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited. I had researched the car ad nauseam. I had gone to many many dealerships around my state (MA) until I found the dealership that was able to make all this work come to fruition, Singer Subaru in Plaistow NH helped me sign on the dotted line and now I was the proud owner of a blue 2015 Subaru Impreza Sports Limited with black leather interior. I adored her. As it happens though a million devils follow the thing you love most, so a highway pothole claimed my first tire, so back to the dealership I went needing to replace the tire and the disk. And these past 3 years have followed suit with issues, a recall or two and more money spent on this love of mine. My dealership was bought by AutoFair and relocated to Haverhill MA.

This past August I took the car in for a heck up and aside for the regular filter replacement and oil changes, it also needed its CVT transmission changed. Today, 3 weeks later I wake up to a check engine light on. And I was beyond upset and worried. I bought a brand new car however I feel like the money I have spent for maintenance and fixes has taken a toll. Facing another bill in the hundreds for a pressure valve, I called Subaru Customer Care at 800-782-2783 to just voice my frustration and basically have someone hear me out. The lady was AMAZING, I wish I had remembered her name. She was beyond patient and kind and UNDERSTANDING. She said she would look into the issue and see if she could help me. I was happy to hear that I could be getting a discount but honestly having someone on the other line hear you out was amazing.

An hour or so later someone from customer loyalty department called me back and informed me that they had reached out to my dealership and would be helping alleviate the burden. I am glad I chose Subaru 4 years ago, and I will gladly be their customer for many years to come. I will pass this vehicle on to my father so he can finally retire his 98 Ford Windstar. Thank you Subaru!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

We bought an '18 outback last year October. It was in the shop nearly every month for various things that was wrong with it but mainly the radio unit wasn't working properly. After about 6 months of taking it in and them trying everything to fix it, they replaced the radio unit. Still had problems. The service manager told me that the best thing to do is set up a claim with Subaru of America. They were incredible. They offered me either an even trade of the car or a buyback. We chose the buyback. It took a while, but that was my fault as we were out of town a lot. They were patient with me and today they took the car back after inspection.

I would buy another Subaru because the car drove well, there was just other issues that couldn't be fixed with that particular vehicle. But mainly I would buy another one because of the way we were treated by them. They were so nice and helpful, it would be worth it just for the customer service. I hope they treat everyone like this.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

2000 Legacy Brighton (Wagon). I brought this used for $5500 with 96,000 miles in 2010 or 2011. I currently have 201,800 miles. I did have a spark plug blow out. The mechanic used helicoil instead of replacing the head and it seems to be holding (wood-knock), fan relays failed once causing overheating. Just recently replaced a failed valve cover gasket (by myself in about 30 minutes). My hood release cable failed a while ago. Trunk latch is sticky now. The rear "bonnet" leaked until I replaced the entire rear deck lid. This used to cause the light sockets to fill with water during rains. I went through 3 light bulb wiring harnesses before replacement. Also, a victim of their infamous rear wheel well rust patterns. I've replaced the exhaust once since I've had it too. I love this car. It's quiet as a mouse and 100% beast in the snow. I'm nervous about getting about getting another RU, as I've seen some pretty negative reviews.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I have had Subarus since in college, and find them the best option for tough terrain and reliability. But hearing about the design and promotion of larger and larger cars, I have to choose with my conscience. The planet I love to explore in my Subaru cannot sustain these giant cars. Get real and get a clue. Bring back the Justy...or the Baja. These were cars that got the job done. I would buy a Justy in a heartbeat...mine got 39 miles per gallon. What is the matter with the world? Don't we care?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

We purchased a 2019 Ascent and love many things about it. The one thing we DO NOT is the MPG. We have carefully monitored the MPG in all sorts of circumstances, even trying to drive at the speed limit on cruise control for several hours in 8th speed in the manual mode. That is where we got the best MPG at 19.2. At no other time have we been close to the quoted number. Our average has been 17.2 city and 18.8 highway, which are very different numbers from what the window sticker numbers showed. We have tried endlessly to work with Subaru of America and have had little to no help as they are not taking ownership of the discrepancy and they just keep trying to put it back on the dealership. Clearly this is a corporate issue as they build the vehicles and the dealership just sells them!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I leased this Impreza 3 days after my wife got her Subaru Ascent. I've been having issues since December with multiple warning lights showing up on my screen. Car was in the shop, they couldn't replicate issue so gave it back to me. Car went back again for same problem, even showed video of the warning lights, still couldn't figure it out and car was at the dealer for a week. Picked it up and next day lights came on again with all the warnings. Brought it back to the dealer again and it was there over a week. Just got it back on Saturday. I am requesting Subaru buy this lemon car back from me.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Due to limit of words everything in detail cannot be told. Car has had issue upon issue since new. Subaru knew this car was a lemon offered warranty. Now it has an internal engine PROB CLAIM BEING DENIED.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

First of all, I love my Subaru Crosstrek. Since it is an all terrain vehicle I was surprised to hear the vibrating and rattling in the unit. Subaru replaced the unit once, but unfortunately the rattling noise came back. Wondering if anything else can be done with the unit to stop the noise. It even rattles on the open highways. Please let me know.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Subaru Company Information