Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.22/5

Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

551 Subaru Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

While on vacation our 2018 Crosstrek with 1900 miles stalled while driving 4 times. I was driving my daughters car and almost hit Crosstrek husband was driving because car kept stalling. When we returned car went to shop. 1st time it did it on service tech. They could not find out what was wrong, it is in shop after a week for 2nd time, Subaru is aware and we have had loaner for 2 weeks now, car is unsafe, Subaru did not like when I said Class action and asked that I would not call an attorney till after they look at it the 2nd time but I made the call and he is looking into legal action. These cars are a danger to all that drive them, I owned 6 Subaru’s and will not buy another from them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Never notified of CVT issue. Told me they sent letters regarding the issue but I never received anything. Once issue started on my car, they told me they couldn’t do anything because my car was outside of warranty date/mileage. My car is stalling while I’m driving, they claim it’s not a safety issue. They offered to pay 50% of my 2,000$ repair but I declined stating that these vehicles need to be recalled because of it stalling while driving. They declined and said it’s not a safety issue on them to deal with. Basically doing whatever they can to get around handling this situation. From what I’ve seen, when they started with the CVT transmissions back in 2012, those issues are still continuing to happen even on brand new vehicles.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I bought my car new from Schumacher of Delray, The purchase experience was the best I ever had, however I now have the car approximately 5 months and the radio head unit went bad. The safety features of the car were inoperative, and the gas gauge didn’t work. I took the car in immediately and they took it and loaned me a Forester. It is now 8 days and counting and I still don’t have my car back. I was planning to go out of state but they told me I couldn’t take the car out of state. We had to cancel our trip. I called Subaru of America, they told me they would get back to me and to date haven’t. This is my fifth and last Subaru.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Absolutely horrible customer service. Been working with both a dealership and with Subaru of America and both have been utterly horrible and useless. I have a continuous issue with my head unit (Google 2015 forest Bluetooth issue) and you’ll see I’m simply one of hundreds if not thousands of people dealing with this issue. Subaru refuses to acknowledge it and will not help with the fact they have placed a faulty head unit in my car. I will never buy Subaru again and I’m telling everyone to avoid them due to their extremely poor customer service. They do not care about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

CVT transmission failure. 9,597.70 plus tax for repair. Driving appx. 40 mph. Car shuddered, dash lights come on and car stalls. Took to dealer. Needs new transmission and torque converter. Car just past the extended warranty that Subaru offered. Subaru has known about this problem for some time... it is definitely a safety issue and the car should be recalled. Contacted Subaru headquarters with no success getting them to help with repair cost. Repairs should not cost as much as blue book value of car. I bought a Subaru because of years of hearing about their stellar reputation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I purchased a 2013 new Forester in 2014. Almost from the start my oil light was on. The service department told me it was my imagination so that should have been a red flag. After complaining at every oil change for months they finally replaced the sensor. Oil light still was on. Fast forward to 2017 replaced sensor again and the light is off. However, now it seems I have no oil ever! I always bring my car in for service exactly when it's scheduled. Every time now for the entire 2017 and 2018 period I have been out of oil. They did an oil consumption test and happily said all was good. Last time it was in they put a statement on my invoice that says I need to check my oil at least twice a month! I have 50,000 miles, the car is 4 years old and Should not have to do that! I have gone 900 miles since the last oil change and I'm out of oil! Plus the light hasn't come on. I think they just disconnected it. I'm done!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I just bought a 2014 Subaru Impreza from Subaru of Burlingame 9 months ago. I never bought a used car before but I figured I would be safe buying it from Subaru dealership as is. I was so wrong. 17,000 miles later I have blown head gaskets about the car at 45,000 miles. It is currently at 60,114. After taking it into the dealership and being diagnosed I called Subaru of America right away, explained my situation. I had a Subaru representative tell me he was advocating for me but in the end they told me, "Sorry not our problem." Only owned this car for nine months. I am devastated. I still have a very large loan on this car I’m paying for and have no car to drive. I’m going to do everything I can, to fight these people through social media platform, through the city of Burlingame, to anybody who will listen to me. This was my first Subaru and my last!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Please, please, please STOP recommending Subaru cars as being reliable. I have purchased two of them based on Consumer Reports recommendations and both have had major expensive repairs. I am old, have had all the routine maintenance done and still have had lots of problems. The 2010 Forester (that was said to be a very reliable car) needed to have its head gasket replaced at 95K (turns out they had lots of head gasket issues) and the 2011 Outback's CVT just went out, 3 weeks after the extended warranty expired (expired on July 31, 2018).

As I stated earlier, I am old (retired) and cannot afford a costly fix on a car that is only 7 years old. I have contacted Subaru of America to see if they would help me and all they do is say that they are waiting to be contacted by the local dealer (where I took the car to be repaired) but the local dealer called me to tell me that they have called Subaru of America twice and no one ever responds. Does this sound like a reputable company? Shoot, if they are not going to help me, can't they at least tell me? Maybe they used to be reliable but that time has passed.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

This review only refers to the Service Department of Koeppel Subaru in Queens, NY because I purchased my Subaru in another state so I do not have any experience with their car sales. However, I generally do have good experience with Subaru dealership service centers so I was surprised that Koeppel felt like going to a mechanic shop instead. Online it appears that you can schedule a drop-off of your car but when I arrived they had no knowledge of the appointment. They hassled me about every point including the problem with the car, the price, why I didn't want to stay with the car when I had to go to work, why I didn't pick it up sooner, etc... It would have been fine if they had not followed up with an email about my complaints to continue to badger me and blame me for my bad experience. There was never once an apology.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Two accidents with 2016 Forester. No. 1. While sitting in my car at a drive in restaurant in park position, my car suddenly moved backwards across the parking lot before hitting another vehicle. Several diners saw this happen. Police were called and wrote a report. I got no ticket. I contacted McGovern Subaru and told them what happened, They said that they would call the Subaru headquarters. A few days later, I was told that they had never hear of this. The dealership never contacted me again.

No. 2 June 16 2018: With the keys in my hand, ready to get out of the car, it suddenly started moving forward as if driven by its battery. Before I could do anything, it went through my fence, knocked over two full 100 gallon propane gas cause one to spewing to spewing it in the air and hit my screen house, destroying it. Estimated damage: $13,000. There is a witness to this. The fire and police departments were on the scene in minutes and traffic was routed to other streets. I immediately reported this to McGovern Subaru. It took five days wrangling between the towing company and the dealership before it was delivered. Two weeks later no work has been done. Excuse: Waiting for an expert from Subaru using a computer to analyze the problem.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The CVT shift simulator (Ascent) is constantly out of sync and shifting up and down. This is especially noticeable during initial start. This needs to either be disabled or at the very least a user selectable option.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Hit a deer one week after purchasing. Had to wait OVER TWO MONTHS for parts and Subaru would only give loaner car if we had vehicle repaired at their dealership which is over 100 miles away! Battery was bad, finally got them to replace it. Tilt steering wouldn't stay locked. Wheel bearings went bad, no notice sent out. Numerous problems with driver information center touch screen, software only updated once, now other information has disappeared! Driver's seat developed a split, dealer said to call the 800 number since it's not warrantied. My Ford seats lasted over 15 years! If it wasn't for the comfortable ride, I'd get rid of it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I own a 2012 Subaru Outback with 120k. We paid it off at the beginning of the year and are now being told it may need a new transmission. It has been in the shop for weeks trying to diagnose the problem. At the very least it needs a torque converter. I have called Subaru to ask for help but they are not willing to do anything because it is out of warranty. I won't buy another Subaru.

Original review: July 20, 2018

The car is a 2017 Outback and has served us extremely well for almost a year. We travel a good deal and the car has always gotten us to where we are going; in spite of the navigation system. The navigation system, which I have nicknamed "Miss Direction" keeps trying to kill us. It consistently tells us to enter I84 in Ontario, OR on the off ramp. On our way to Sun Valley, it tried to route us on cow paths and insisted we turn around or turn right into a river. The system said the direct route (ID 75) was blocked by a rock slide (which kept moving ahead of us) and would take three hours to traverse. I took it anyway and arrived in twenty minutes without difficulty. The entire time, the system kept trying to divert us and finally relented when the motel was within sight. The car is superb but I can't trust the navigation system.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium with 82,156 miles, the car was in perfect condition, always checked by experts, all maintenance on time, nothing aftermarket. I was driving yesterday and I pull over to make a phone call when I started noticing that smoke was coming out of the hood, and from the under dash, when I tried to get out of the car the doors locked up and was impossible to open, by then the flames were very high, I burned my legs and arms. I manage to break the windows with a metal piece I had in the back seat and escape from the vehicle me and my occupant. When fire department arrived they extinguished the fire and was able to take pictures and video of the incident, according them it might have been caused by a electrical issue. I'm glad to be alive but I'm still in shock because I Subaru is a very good car.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I bought the Legacy L with 320,000 miles on it and after putting another 3200 miles on it, the car still runs great. I did not purchase the vehicle from a dealership, I purchased it used from a private owner that I knew from the store I worked at. The asking price was $1500 which was great. He knew that I needed a reliable vehicle to get me back. I like that it is an AWD and is an excellent car to do road trips. Climbs mountains & rocks like a 4WD, but can still drive in the city and neighborhood like a RWD. It can go over anything and has power windows, 5 speed and cruise control. It is very roomy, & comfortable. The back seat comes out giving extra room for everything or everyone that you need to travel with you.

The #1 thing I dislike is the automatic seatbelts. They choke me every time I start the car. I would take out that feature and just put in the manual seatbelts. But other than that, the Subaru Legacy L has probably been the best car that I have ever purchased and would definitely purchase again, when this one decides to die on me, lol!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have the Subaru Forester. I love that model because it's an all terrain vehicle. I like to go camping a lot so it's useful on those old dirt roads. Usually it is terrifying to drive on them because it's so bumpy and you feel like the car could turn over any second but with my Subaru it is smooth and I feel safe! I really like my Subaru. It is dependable and safe. I have children so it makes me feel better driving with them in a car like that. I have actually gotten into an accident in it, just myself, but it wasn't that bad! I credit it to the safety precautions I got on it. It's also very pretty. I got it in blue which is my favorite color. Just seeing the car makes me really happy! The seats are a nice creamy white leather. And I got a flower scented air freshener!

I would improve however, the battery life. The battery in my car has a very short life span and I constantly find myself having to fix it. Granted, my kids do tend to turn the light on the car and we leave it on overnight. So maybe a fix could be an auto turn off on the lights after a couple of hours? That would be really useful since my family always forgets to turn the lights off.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I love my Subaru BRZ! It is perfect in every way. Only 500 were made in 2016! I didn't mean to buy a brand new car but am so glad that I did. It is my baby. Kick ** engine and spot package. However, I would like to have the windows tinted and all wheel drive option.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Great vehicle. Runs great and has good gas mileage. I love the heater and air conditioner. Also, I have friends that have bought the same model and they spoke highly of it. I definitely would not want to trade or sell it. Would recommend it to a friend and would definitely purchase another one.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Experience is well. It's a used 1999, so it has its fair share of problems, but runs overall pretty smooth. There's not many other features built into the vehicle because it's so old. I am still working on getting a few minor things fixed on it. But it's a basic car that will get you around. The car has a CD player that was installed into it and has been kept up in pretty good condition.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am very pleased with my Subaru. The gas mileage is great and for a four-cylinder engine it has enough get up and go. The car has room for five people and plenty of storage room in the rear of the vehicle. I also like the comfort. I have owned one before this one and was happy with it also. However, I would have gotten one with satellite radio. It only has AM/FM and I live in a rural area and stations are hard to get.

Original review: June 21, 2018

It is a great all around vehicle. It is unique, all wheel drive, excellent gas mileage, very comfortable, really fun to drive, handles well, very durable and dependable. Also, it is only a four cylinder but had a lot of get up and go. Love the all wheel drive and the excellent gas mileage as well. However, it is on the small side and is not as easy as some cars to get in and out of. Sometimes the maintenance can be costly and timing belt change every 80,000 miles is a must as well.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I like the Subaru Legacy because it has a lot of power. The color is look like an elegant color. All I need is in there and all in the navigation especially the most important. But I don't like it looks so old.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The car is very reliable and I have owned it for 6 years. I for the typical maintenance on the car and have had no additional problems. It drives very well and handles the snow well. After owning a car with cloth seats, I would consider leather. While the cloth cleans up well, it's just not practical with kids and dogs. It's an older model and did not come with Bluetooth. It would be a nice benefit to have it. But price was a strong factor when choosing this car and it was affordable in comparison to competitors. I have a huge sunroof which I love. I love the large trunk space in my Forester and how the seats fold down flat in the back.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Subaru is nice, safe, comfortable. I feel safe in it and I love the small perks like the backing up camera. The sunroof is nice to have, but I don't use it much. The rear seat heating seats was a plus, as well as the side view mirror defrost. The 4 wheel drive is something I really wanted too. However, even though the trunk space is bigger than my old Pontiac Vibe, it's still not big enough to fit my dog and stuff we need to carry on a family vacation.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I like the car's performance in bad weather like rain, snow and ice. The car keep me comfortable. I also like the all-wheel drive and heated seats. But I am disappointed with my Subaru in the cost of repairs. They are very expensive. Also, the windshield has been a bother and has broken numerous times. Rocks hit it and instantly put holes in the window. We have replaced the window five or six times.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Nearly killed four weeks ago visiting grandchild in Tamworth. 2010 WRX Impreza overheated and steering went outside Ebor NSW. Towed to Armidale. Now sits needing new engine as did not have new front drive belt at 48 months. Subaru mechanic thought was 125,000ks. Only done 100,000!!! Bought from Geoff King Subaru, serviced at Geoff King, believed their experience, who is to blame, not us. Have eight yr old WRX, immaculate, no engine, is cooked and nobody is taking blame!!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

The Subaru Impreza has been fairly reliable. I appreciate how great it handles in the snow and rain and other extreme weather conditions because it makes me feel safe. I chose this car because it was affordable in price and great qualities for its price. However, I wish it were easier and cheaper to maintain. The maintenance required to keep up the car has been very pricey and annoying. I also wish I had a higher more upgraded model that has nicer interior parts like leather seats.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I read about the Imprezza in Consumer Reports as it was their top car of the year 2016. It is an average car. It drove nice and at the time I was looking for an inexpensive car. I've had it for 2 years with some minor problems and I will be looking for a better car this year. It doesn't have all the features I would have liked and can't expect more. I also had a poor experience with the dealership. Also, I don't like that when I unlock the car it only unlocks the driver side door. I saw in an ad that they changed this for the next model year and you can now program it to unlock whatever doors you want. Lastly, I don't like that it doesn't have rain sensing windshield wipers.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was looking for an SUV that had all wheel drive or 4-wheel drive options. This one fits both of those requirements. It is reliable, peppy, looks nice, easy to travel in (and mostly comfortable), and large enough to haul things. It is easy to install roof racks for sports items like kayaks and paddle boards. It easily goes from highways to off-roading. It also has more than enough features like heated seats and heated mirrors. I love the vehicle and the versatility that it provides. However, I dislike that there's a known oil issue with the engine.

Subaru Company Information