3.69/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My first purchase, the one that instantly catapulted me into adulthood was my purchase of a brand new 2015 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited. I had researched the car ad nauseam. I had gone to many many dealerships around my state (MA) until I found the dealership that was able to make all this work come to fruition, Singer Subaru in Plaistow NH helped me sign on the dotted line and now I was the proud owner of a blue 2015 Subaru Impreza Sports Limited with black leather interior. I adored her. As it happens though a million devils follow the thing you love most, so a highway pothole claimed my first tire, so back to the dealership I went needing to replace the tire and the disk. And these past 3 years have followed suit with issues, a recall or two and more money spent on this love of mine. My dealership was bought by AutoFair and relocated to Haverhill MA.

This past August I took the car in for a heck up and aside for the regular filter replacement and oil changes, it also needed its CVT transmission changed. Today, 3 weeks later I wake up to a check engine light on. And I was beyond upset and worried. I bought a brand new car however I feel like the money I have spent for maintenance and fixes has taken a toll. Facing another bill in the hundreds for a pressure valve, I called Subaru Customer Care at 800-782-2783 to just voice my frustration and basically have someone hear me out. The lady was AMAZING, I wish I had remembered her name. She was beyond patient and kind and UNDERSTANDING. She said she would look into the issue and see if she could help me. I was happy to hear that I could be getting a discount but honestly having someone on the other line hear you out was amazing.

An hour or so later someone from customer loyalty department called me back and informed me that they had reached out to my dealership and would be helping alleviate the burden. I am glad I chose Subaru 4 years ago, and I will gladly be their customer for many years to come. I will pass this vehicle on to my father so he can finally retire his 98 Ford Windstar. Thank you Subaru!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

We bought an '18 outback last year October. It was in the shop nearly every month for various things that was wrong with it but mainly the radio unit wasn't working properly. After about 6 months of taking it in and them trying everything to fix it, they replaced the radio unit. Still had problems. The service manager told me that the best thing to do is set up a claim with Subaru of America. They were incredible. They offered me either an even trade of the car or a buyback. We chose the buyback. It took a while, but that was my fault as we were out of town a lot. They were patient with me and today they took the car back after inspection.

I would buy another Subaru because the car drove well, there was just other issues that couldn't be fixed with that particular vehicle. But mainly I would buy another one because of the way we were treated by them. They were so nice and helpful, it would be worth it just for the customer service. I hope they treat everyone like this.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

2000 Legacy Brighton (Wagon). I brought this used for $5500 with 96,000 miles in 2010 or 2011. I currently have 201,800 miles. I did have a spark plug blow out. The mechanic used helicoil instead of replacing the head and it seems to be holding (wood-knock), fan relays failed once causing overheating. Just recently replaced a failed valve cover gasket (by myself in about 30 minutes). My hood release cable failed a while ago. Trunk latch is sticky now. The rear "bonnet" leaked until I replaced the entire rear deck lid. This used to cause the light sockets to fill with water during rains. I went through 3 light bulb wiring harnesses before replacement. Also, a victim of their infamous rear wheel well rust patterns. I've replaced the exhaust once since I've had it too. I love this car. It's quiet as a mouse and 100% beast in the snow. I'm nervous about getting about getting another RU, as I've seen some pretty negative reviews.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Charlie ** was referred to me, because my brother and all his family by all their cars from Milea Dealership on East Tremont Ave, Bx, NY. Charlie was helpful as I turned my old Forester in, for an excellent trade in value - while they had a new one ready for me, with exceptional new safety features, and everything I needed in a car. Thank you for excellent professional timely service!! Everything was perfect and I am grateful for such an A+ experience with everyone I encountered, who could not have been more helpful!

Original review: March 19, 2019

My third Subaru - 2009 Outback > 2013 XV Crosstrek & now 2019 Crosstrek Ltd. Extremely impressed with reliability, dependability, performance and comfort. My only tweak = bring back additional lumbar support for driver and passenger front seat and a more powerful engine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Issue with headlight freezing, building up while driving when it is snowing. Not suitable for long driving or out of state especially when it is snowing (I mean not even continuous snowing). Very dangerous so do not ever do that. Gas tank keeps freezing, again when it snows, just a little cold temp outside and it always happens every time. Very inconvenient and unreliable as you have to fix that before you can put gas. Snows build up underneath. This snow should clear up or melted away already as the car's been driven 40 miles 2 way already. I have 2 2004 cars and one is a 2005 Subaru STI and never experienced any of this issue with the WRX LTD.

Contacted dealer when it happened a month after driving it in October and was just advised to just pour water or use credit card to take out the ice build up around the gas cap and put w40 or wipe with it on both headlights when driving in snow or when you know it will be snowing later... The headlight I can figure that out because it is all LED and it was flushed inside and not mounted so this should be recalled and fixed. It just like the stoplight here in Illinois that they have so much issues when they all get replaced with LED. Not enough heat to melt the freezing snow (snow and wind), it caused accident because drivers could not just see it.

I wrote Subaru like 5 times already about this. All they said is check with the Dealer??? They are both incompetent dealing with the customers once you purchased the car but they will answer all your questions when you are still buying it... Just buy something else. For reliability I have a 2004 Subaru STI and a 2004 Toyota Sienna LXE LTD AWD that are still on the road. Probably cars built in the past last long than newer ones. I'll trade this overpriced car and will just start leasing...

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

We bought a new 2019 Subaru Crosstrek it has the Worst gas mileage we have ever seen in a vehicle. It's getting 13mpg. We have owned it now for 3 months. Now the dealership has says it will get better the long we own it!! We would like to file a lawsuit against Subaru and the dealership for false advertising this product. It does not get Nowhere what they are advertising. Maybe we bought a bad one. If so we would try another Subaru.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Today I dropped my 2019 Subaru Sport off at Subaru in Turnersville, New Jersey for a second time and for the same issue. The tailgate stops working completely. The tailgate latch will not open the back and neither does the button on the starter key or the inside automatic button. There is no way to open the tailgate unless you have a screw driver and can crawl into the back to open up a manual switch. This exact problem occurred in the summer too.

My appointment was for 11 AM. After contacting Subaru for updates a couple of times I finally got a text stating at 4 PM someone was just now diagnosing the problem. Why bother to make an appointment if Subaru service doesn't plan on looking at my car for 5 more hours. I still have no car and no answers. To top the matter off the service department CLOSES at 5 PM which is in 15 minutes. At 4:55 PM I got a call that my vehicle was repaired and Subaru had already contacted service departments regarding this issue, so they actually had the part they needed to make the repair. So if purchasing a Subaru Sport keep this in mind as well as the disappointing service experience.

In speaking with the service man who signed in my Subaru, he told me that 11 AM was my drop off time, but they have all day to work on the cars. If I had opted to stay and wait for the repair I seriously doubt I would have had to wait 6 hours. Moving forward the lesson I learned when having your vehicle serviced at this Subaru would be to always tell them you are staying and waiting rather than leaving. You likely will have a better chance of getting your vehicle serviced in a more efficient and timely manner. Better yet how about if this Subaru just honors actual appointments.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Bought car from a Subaru dealership that had very bad dealing with taking care of my vehicle, contacted the dealership. It took about a week to to finally get the car repair, when it was repair I notice I could still smell oil burning, I contacted both Dealership and Subaru of America. Made several complaints but nothing was done about it, I was assured that the problem was fixed and it was done right.

I have maintain and service that car, I was told by the dealership and Subaru of America that all was repairs was done correctly and I did notice that the car was losing oil every 3,000 miles but I was told by the dealership that was normal and nothing to worry about. But I was told to maintain the proper oil changes approximate every 3000 miles and since it was a new car and there was free oil change for 2 years I did just that.

Recently I learn that it was not normal about the oil leaking and that this engine in this model car. The Company knew of this problem and had tried to hide it from the consumers to keep a better profit for its shareholders, a class action suit took Subaru of America to court and the details was disclose about the engine losing oil and that the company knew and tried to hide it. The court order them to fix it but I am seeing they are not really living up to the deal made to the courts. What they have done is put in place a scam that makes the consumer to pay for repairs to be able to take the test showing that the engine is faulty which cost about 2500 dollars, but if you fix the problem then the test they want to run dealing with the oil consumption will pass cause the leaks is fixed.

But that not the end of this nightmare, I also found out the Subaru of America sued the Dealership that I bought the car from for filing out positive report that the customers said how great the service and how please they were with this car when they were not please at all, and the owner of at this dealership, made people to lie about the engine and the car by filing reports. With the bad experiences they had received like me. This dealership close its doors and the records of how many times I was there for service was lost along with how many times I complained.

Do you think that when I came back to Subaru of America since I had found a honest mechanic which told me that I needed a engine repair and point all of this problem to me and also told me that this was a common problem with this engine. So the mechanic advise me to return to Subaru dealership and let them know and see how this was going to be handle. I made several call. Got different quotes just to bring it in to be looked at. But finally the dealership of Irvine where most of the repairs and really I am very happy about most of their service but Subaru of America customer people in charge that I was put in contact with has lied to my face over the telephone that there was nothing wrong with these vehicles 2012 to 2016 I think I was told.

But later after a few days the person came back with a offer of 1000 dollars off to help in the repairs of this vehicle, which I was told they was doing me a favor. I was also told that my car never had any reports about oil engine leaks by the person I was dealing with to get this matter resolve and I found out that was not the truth. He was telling me cause the Dealership of Irvine underline that their computer show that the right side was repair for a engine problem and the codes were on the papers showing it needed to be repaired again. But the person never shared that with me and the Corporate America knew of the bad dealing of this dealership where I bought this car and why they went out of business and that they had sued them in court and won.

This is what big company do. They find ways not to hold up to their responsibility or try to find ways to appease the consumer by either showing they have little concerns and honor, so they give as little as possible to maintain higher profit. I wrote back to the gentleman which I was assigned but also email Subaru of America my concerns and I know they should fix my car for free instead of paying a small portion or the other offer was 1000 dollars off of a purchase of a new car from them. Now don't you find this to be a real big joke and insulting to anyone who has been scam by dealerships selling their product telling you that they maintain the highest standards and guarantee doing business as well as warranty of excellents.

I'm still waiting. It's been over a week and no reply from the emails I have sent to all parties not even a phone calls. What is sad is the hours and time spent, researching and being frustrated by employees that are told to lie, not to have compassion, and find any possible way to not honor their commitment. I live in Fountain Valley, I was at the dealership on 10/25/19 customer no. **.

Now that is if Subaru of America or anyone want to check but I feel what needs to be checked is the class action suit claims what was discovery first and the outcome which was addressed and then find out there is a charge by most dealership for about 137.00 dollars just to check to find out and you can't get the consumption test until the repairs are done, which is about 2500 dollars. And that cost is also at the consumer dime, even if the test shows that it is a problem you are still out this large amount of money, but what even more funny is the Company has extended the warranty of this engine to 8 years but the cost is still on the consumers.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I have owned a 2014 Outback since 12/2013. I am the only owner and have kept the car meticulously maintained. It is really a nice ride and handles well.

Two weeks ago I had a “rumble”. I thought it was a tire but tires were fine. I called a tow truck and had it taken to my local mechanic, a Subaru trained mechanic. Turns out that the VALVE SPRING BROKE!! Damaging the rocker arm and camshaft. $2455 and two weeks later I have the car back. Subaru of America will do ABSOLUTELY nothing for me. I have 124,800 miles on the car and planned on driving it for quite a while longer. This damage happened due to no fault of mine. There is a defect in the 2014 Outback engine.

Subaru Company Information