1.47/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

514 Subaru Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

This is the real review of this car and others the same year. To start off, I have the fully loaded premium 2.0. I now have 6,500 miles on my car in a year of ownership. This is because it has been in the shop for months of my ownership (starting with problems at 500 miles). Between my car not starting, the bluetooth not staying connected, the radio having its own mind, and the Eyesight turning on and off on its own and slamming on the brakes by itself... I am unable to drive this vehicle due to the safety concerns. I contacted Subaru many times, and never got a callback and they kept giving me the cold shoulder, even though I was beyond nice about everything. I eventually had to get a lawyer, which was an easy thing to do since the car was a complete lemon.

After everything got settled and I got my money back for that terrible experience, I called Subaru and was willing to give them a second chance, even though their customer service was horrible and their vehicle was garbage. Subaru would not give a loyalty discount, a deal to keep a customer (that was not my first Subaru... I have had many and referred friends and family to them). Their products have declined as well as their customer service. Not worth putting your money into these problem vehicles until they get themselves together and back their customers.

Next thing... my sister owns a 2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0 in stick. She has 9k miles on it and it has been into the shop MANY times for similar issues. However, the biggest issue is that her BRAND NEW car burns oil so badly that she needs to fill the oil reserve every month because the low oil light indicator comes on. They keep telling her, "Cars burn oil, its normal." Ummmmm, no Subaru... I have had many cars and have a truck with 180k miles and never need to add oil between changes. Anyways, she is using my lawyer and will as well win against them. Please keep all of this in mind while deciding on a new Subaru.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Purchased a new 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport from Flow motors in Winston Salem. Check oil light came on at 2500 miles. Failed 2 oil consumption tests and had 2 engine rebuilds before 13,000 miles. Using an appalling 1.5 qts oil every 1000 miles. Not repaired. Dealership cheated on oil consumption test by starting with 6 qts of oil in an engine spec’d for 4.7 qts. Going back under NC lemon law. This company gets a 5 turd??? Review.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 10, 2018

Paint defects on new 2018 Forester. Took to service dealer, told the paint chips were caused by rocks hitting car. How do rocks hitting a car at different times create the same consistent size chip on ALL paint chips? Plus how come the passenger side shows no paint defects while the driver side is constantly cropping up new "rock hits"? The hood is showing paint chips is getting ready to lift again, perfect little tiny circles, no dents, just paint gone to the bare metal. I had a 2006 Nissan, NEVER ever saw problems with the paint. When heavy debris hit my Nissan, it dented the car but left the paint intact, had my Nissan for ten years and never ever saw paint chips exposed to the metal.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had talked my mom into a Subaru Legacy 3017. I took it in with less than 2000 miles saying it shows the oil is really low. The tech looked at it and said oh it's fine and I could not believe it but it showed full at the dealership. The next time I checked it in the drive it showed low again. I thought well there is a slight slant to the drive. That must be it. We had the battery go dead 4 times over the winter. I mean to the point that my jump box that will start my pick up that someone hit in the rear end. I only drive it when I have to haul something so it's usually pretty dead. It will start it right up it took forever on this one. Today I am totally lost as to why I called several places and I just get told each place, "Oh you need to call here or there." I called about the maps part of this on a 2017 Subaru Legacy that just came from being serviced at 3100 miles and it does have problems they cannot duplicate.

I was a Service Manager for GM for years and a service writer. I LOVED the job, but I could at least answer some questions. I have yet to get one question answered. I was going to buy a used Subaru from the same dealership but at this point, I think I will stick with a GM car... I can at least get an answer. I first started to ask if I need to PAY for Starlink to be able to use the maps as every site I look at says with Starlink and maps it's so nice. I have not once been able to get the maps to go anywhere by voice commands if I do get a response other than being told she did not understand.

Then I would get other states coming up... It took 15-30 minutes to manually get one time the map to work right and every other time I just grabbed the Garmin and said well they have always been my choice of GPS and very easy to get to a location. I asked this girl where the SD card is in the vehicle. She said well didn't I go to that site. The one I am at now and I said YES and have already downloaded the toolbox but on a video, it said they could be located in several different spots. She said call toolbox as she only deals with Maps. I said isn't this all part of it. She said no. Is there anything else she could help me with. I said, "I guess not. You did like every other Subaru Phone number I called... telling me to call someone else. They had no idea about Starlink or Sirius or what I was talking about."

My next call is going to be to the Attorney General since NO ONE wants to help at all... but boy they were sure there to sell the vehicle. I honestly was going to get a Subaru until I seen how hard it is to get 1 question answered and I had several to ask and was cut off every time... I do better calling DirecTV or my Insurance Co. and they get me to my boiling point after all the BS. I think they need a Class Action suit as we just had the oil changed they said they had to do an update for the battery. The next time I go to drive it the Nav system kept telling me it didn't understand or would send me to other states. I tried to put it in manually and had trouble.

I called and got that run around. I have the feeling if we don't pay the Starlink yearly they will even lock you out. I read about that on other sites. One being the piXXed off the page. I am VERY VERY dissatisfied the way I have been treated so far. I just drove the car without the radio on and think I had better check the oil myself as it does not sound right at all... I think I will stick with GM and not get a Subaru like I was going too... Best wishes to all Subaru owners. I did talk to a guy at the after-hours place and I said I would just wait until they are open Monday since he said he could not help at all with why nothing was working.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We have owned three Subarus. The 2017 Forester being the latest. I was very excited about my new Forester until I was driving and it kept dying on me. Then a light showed up showing low oil, had only had the vehicle two months, called dealer they said bring it in they will check it out they stated nothing showed up about low oil, again two months later same problem while we were on our way to vacation again. Dealer said bring in. Same response, my husband talked to them and explained the other problems about it dying, transmission not shifting properly, rattling in motor. They told him to bring it in. They test drove it and told him nothing was wrong but did say they would charge us $95.00 an hour to fix it, now again same problems no response.

The only reason we had stayed with Subaru is because we purchased a 2003 Baja and it has almost 300,000 miles on so we decided to buy another one in 2014. We purchased a Crosstrek. Had so much trouble with that car. Traded it in for a Jeep which by the way is fantastic, guess if we can't get my Forester fixed we will be trading it in also. Wondering if anyone else has had so much going on with their Subarus.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: April 1, 2018

Subaru Tribeca 2010. They need to give me a new vehicle - I bought my car use at dealer for 12k. Problem appear right always but dealer said it nothing wrong with the car. Lack of knowledge about auto I trust them. 1 year later when all the warranty expired, that problem start to expand, I just got my car towed to auto shop because engine won't start, fuel pump need to be replace, air system need to be replace, bunch of stuff need fix due to the recall and engine noise is very weird. I didn't know Tribeca is a discontinue model. If I had know earlier I won't bother to buy the car. I have spend more than 2000k to fix the car and the value I got for it now is 8500, they really need to take back the car. I don't care about the payment I made in that year, I just want to be free from this nightmare.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Bought a 2014 Subaru Outback from them that was a Subaru certified used car. I’ve had nothing but issues with it. I reported to them that there was a loud screeching sound intermittently the day after I bought it. They said they drove it and didn’t hear anything. I brought it up multiple times and they said they inspected everything but couldn’t find an issue. Brought it in for the same reason recently and they called back and said that rust on rotor made grooves in the brake pads. I asked if they could replace just the brake pads and they said no we have to replace the rotors. I wrote their service manager asking for the $65 inspection fee to be waived and honestly I want a full refund for the work. $550 for rotors that I didn’t need or want is ridiculous and I’m not sure it's legal. The rotors cost around $70 each and the brake pads $20.

Original review: March 11, 2018

2012 Outback Subaru loaded, 1st new car brought ever. Took exceptional care of my car, kept up on all maintenance and care schedules. Kept my last 2 cars, 2001 Toyota Highlander to 250,000, and 240 Volvo x 350,000 miles +. 2012 Outback head gaskets blew while driving at 50mph, owned 3 years (mainly highway driving, 140 miles to work and Back 4 days a week), Subaru of America paid for half cost of repairs, as said in good faith, $2,25.00. 2018, 141,000 car stalling out, shaking, transmission (stalled out in rush hour traffic, highway as car slowed, very dangerous), there turn out to be problem with the transmission that was not fixed as recall, only if your car has a problem, very dangerous, should be a recall, if you do not drive your car a lot, this chance of having the transmission fixed for free, as it should be ends 7/31/2018.

4 weeks later, driving beautifully, engine seized while driving. My oil level was fine, my coolant level was fine, the dealership stated they could not know the reason unless they take the engine apart, probably something in the block. VERY DANGEROUS! Need a new engine. Subaru will not help, they stated they already help me out in good faith. Granted my car has 141,000 miles on it, how many engines that are taken care, regular maintenance, follows Subaru maintenance plan should go through 2 engines and transmission!

Here I spent $30,000 on my 1st new car ever, in my 60s, loved the car when it ran properly, handle great, gas mile great, all the bells and whistles I choose.

But to have your car die after 5 years when it was well maintained and having no $0.00 value for trade in is not right. Obviously, I have a problem car, a lemon that these kinds of repairs should not have happen once, never mine twice! Never mind how costly an engine is. Being able to have no reasonable recourse. Although I am trying, at least should get bluebook value for the worth my car if it did not have engine issues which is between $6,998-$7,667. Never mind the dangerous situations I was put in, that thank goodness caused no serious accident, Shame on Subaru customer service for putting hardship on their customers that are only looking for a fair outcome!

Original review: March 11, 2018

My 2010 Outback that has always been garage kept is rusting from peeling paint on the fender. Totally unacceptable for a 8 year old vehicle, as my old 2003 Outback that I still have in my family has had no paint peeling and has no rust... and that vehicle is twice the age as my 2010 that's rusting! Also have had numerous problems with the CVT transmission in my vehicle. Did I mention that my 2010 is always kept in a garage at my home and in a covered parking garage at my work?!

My Subaru dealership's body shop was shocked at how thin the paint was on the fender of my car from the factory, they called Subaru of America to inquire about this and to see if anything can be done about this issue on their end. Subaru brushed it off as "not being a problem". Shows the quality of newer Subarus are lacking, and that they are not what they used to be and don't want to stand behind their product. I'm sure my 2003 Outback will continue to keep on going in the years to come. I know my 2010 will be dead long before my 2003 is. Sad, as Subaru was a great company with a great product. Not so anymore!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

In 7/2015 we purchased a 2014 Sub Outback w/ extended Gold plus package warranty (an additional $1,295.00). In 11/2016 engine began to slip, stall & burn excessive oil. Took to 3 Sub dealerships in our area. All completed "oil consumption test" acknowledged "excessive oil burning" but cannot duplicate customers complaints of "slipping" or "stalling." We continued to complete all recommended services through Sub dealership. At each time Techs would perform "oil consumption test" acknowledge "excessive oil lost but cannot locate source. Customer should add oil every 2000 miles." At each visit we complained about slippage and stalling. At each visit they claimed vehicle was fine other than oil consumption. Side note our coolant was always overfilled...

The kicker is we were in so much, we began to develop a relationship with the techs, to the point some of them would tell us that our vehicle needed a new transmission and we were right!! Then one visit to our surprise, The cust. serv. MGR approached us, apparently he had been going to bat for us and had obtained CORP approval for new Transmission. The dealership kept our Outback for 10 days. Came to pick up our vehicle. To our surprise the vehicle wasn't touched. Apparently the owner of the dealership felt he needed to look things over but couldn't do so because he was out of town. CANT MAKE THIS ** UP. He then told us he wanted to drive the vehicle to verify it did in fact need a new transmission. Keep in mind we have the GOLD PLUS WARRANTY package which covers the transmission!!!

We took our Sub back and were told by the owner if we felt any foul play to contact corporate. So we contacted Corp and opened a case, spilled out all of our past issues and waited. During the wait our Outback began to make a weird noise from the wheel area. Well back to the dealership we go. Car inspected. Were informed the noise is from the tires. Supposedly tires were not "fit" for the car. So the vehicle, which we bought from them, had the wrong tires on it... OK so we buy new tires, noise remains. CORP. calls us back after their "investigation" found nothing wrong with our vehicle. Also tells us nowhere in their system did he see the dealership have our vehicle for 10 days?!?! So we then had to prove that was incorrect with rental car paperwork as well as receipts etc... Apparently after that CORP still found no foul play or issues with vehicle.

On 2/17/18 we take our Outback to a certified 3rd party mechanic. Mechanic found transmission is about to give out, wheel bearing needs replacement, oil low (but they found the leak) and additional problems that were never revealed by the dealership. We have now composed a letter with our findings to Sub of America consumer complaint division in hopes someone will address this rogue dealership and assist us with our issues. If any of you have some useful information that will shed some light or assist us in our battle with this Behemoth it will be gratefully appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Driving on the interstate, my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek's transmission utterly locked up. Without warning, the car ground to a halt in the middle of the freeway and would not move, either in forward, reverse or neutral. Other cars swerved to avoid me. One car hit mine from behind and spun my car 180 degrees, placing me directly in front of oncoming, high-speed traffic. The car has only 18,100 miles. Anyone else experienced such a problem?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Blown head gaskets at 27,400 miles. 2012 Outback, top of the line version, so granted, it's not a new car, though we don't drive hard, have aged out of teen drivers, and follow service schedules. We live on a public transit line and this car has never, ever been used in rush hour traffic. Has anyone ever heard of any car, Subaru or otherwise, blowing head gaskets at mileage this low? Truth be told, this is our 3rd -- and no doubt last -- Subaru. None have made it to respectably high mileage. They're junk for high traffic suburban and urban driving. RIP, Subaru.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

2016 Subaru Outback limited - As my first Subaru and all the serious hype about how great this car is, I was personally very disappointed. Initially I was disappointed the limited had neither a panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel and power folding mirrors. The interior pocket room is very minimal. Glove and center compartment very small. I did not find it works for me as a parent of young kids. The backseat is small. The spacing barely contains a convertible reverse facing child safety seat. The materials are cheap and feel cheap.

MY MAJOR COMPLAINTS and reasons I am offloading my Subaru are: THE BATTERY my car came with a 325 amp battery out of the factory. I live in NE. It's cold. The car is high electronics. The crank power of that battery was not sufficient. Imagine my amusement when the day before Xmas eve in a snowstorm. I am stuck at work because my car won't start. Upon replacing the battery in my practically brand new car the passenger side window stopped working. Easy fix at dealer but still the inconvenience of getting to the dealer. THE STARTER the remote starter is AWFUL.

The range is very poor and it only works 50% of the time. Dealer refuses to replace. THE ACCELERATION Sometimes, when it's cold the car does not accelerate as it should. It seems to really struggle. THE SOFTWARE UPDATES my car started stalling and chugging. It turned out to need some software fix. Yet another trip to the dealer with a brand new car. THE BLUETOOTH extremely finicky. Sometimes it just drops connection mid call and won't reconnect. No idea why.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

On May 27, 2014, we purchased a 2014 Subaru Outback. We have complained multiple times about a leak in our roof and were told that the roof tracks had to be cleaned out regularly. The first leak occurred when our cup holders filled with water. The second leak occurred at a car wash which filled a cup with car wash fluid. Again, today while going through a car wash, my husband witnessed the leak from the corner passenger side vanity mirror. We have also complained about a chronic moisture issue to no avail.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I would give negative stars if I could. My family has owned 3 Subaru vehicles because we believed their lies about it being a safe and reliable car. We have young children. Never have I entered a car thinking there is a possibility that the engine will suddenly die and then burst into a raging fire. It is a miracle I am alive. It is a miracle our 3 year old is alive. Subaru and their lawyers are only offering credit for a new car. Seriously? Never will we buy another Subaru. Buy a Subaru if you’re okay with dying and your family dying just by driving their car.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

So we bought our 2013 Outback new and I live in FL so the car doesn't see snow and salt. You people that live in those conditions know the salt will tear up a car in no time. I just had to change both rear bearings due to excessive noise coming from the rear. With the new bearings installed, nice and quiet. But that should not have to be done at 60,000 mi. It started making noise at 60 and of course it is out of warranty at 60. Defiantly not impressed with Subaru. The engine uses oil, will not run smooth until warmed up, the rear upper brake light leaks water in a rainstorm and the paint is not a very tough paint.

The Fl love bugs have eaten through the paint on the front. My wife liked the car so we bought it on the past reputation for Subaru. Big mistake. I am a mechanic but mostly on older hot rods and when I bring up the issues with the service manager at Subaru they claim to know nothing about this being a problem. From reading the other complaints it seems that all the service locations say the same bull. Won't buy another Subaru.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I bought a 2013 Crosstreck in January 2013. I have had nothing but problems with it since about 65,000 miles. I have had to replacement dash sensors twice, two front axles, engine burns oil uncontrollably. (Have to put a quart of oil in every two weeks.) Wheel bearings have had to be replaced twice already. I would not recommend a Subaru to anyone. They are expensive and horribly built cars.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Just 3 years after buying our Subaru Outback 2014, the electric parking brake device failed, locking our car down and making it unable to shift gears. We had to manually release the parking brake using the extremely poorly written advice for a labor intensive cranking process (turn 250 times but not 300 or you'll break something!) with a terribly designed device. Repairs to this piece cost $1050 ($660 parts replacement). Big waste of money for a feature no one wants (electronic parking brake). I'm sure Subaru doesn't mind making money on the replacement parts, though. Will not buy Subaru again.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We were very happy with our 2015 Outback until at 33k miles we dropped the transmission. Now we are in a fight with Subaru (Corp & dealer). Three hours after we tow into dealer, get a call that the rear differential caused transmission failure. We proved that wrong with 3rd party review of diff. Next they say front differential caused transmission failure - BULL. I was able to turn ring gear, rotate planetary gears, bearings. Now a tech from HQ is coming out to dismantle transmission. Subaru says this type of trans failure is not normal - smelled like smoke and still does almost one month later. Did this happen to you?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I leased a new Impreza from Ganley Subaru of Bedford, OH, three weeks ago and have been there for service four times already with still more safety issues hovering over my head. I discovered (the hard way) that all Imprezas have at least these problems: 1) The wheels are wobbly causing shakes and vibration. I have been to service three times to get them fixed, though it got better, it is still shaky. 2) The automatic unlock switch cannot unlock any door if the lock key at the door is in mid-way position. This is a severe safety risk in case of accidents if a person has to exit the car quickly after fire or flooding.

3) The information gauges for gas mileage and distance of travel are practically useless and are off by 50% or more which means you can run out of gas if you rely on these gauges. 4) The advertised gas mileage of 32 MPG is questionable, since all information gauges give you the wrong readings. 5) After parking, the steering wheel gets jammed and locked and requires some wiggling effort to unlock it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I bought a used 2016 Subaru Forester with only about 20k miles on it, still under warranty. I was okay at first, now I notice how harsh the ride is. I can feel every bump in the road! Is there something wrong with the shocks? Are the shocks adjustable? Is there someone with the same vehicle experiencing the same thing?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My vehicle is out of warranty and software on my head unit is out of date. There is a TSB to update it and fix multiple major bugs and in addition to allow mobile devices to connect. Some bugs can even be considered safety issue (e.g. backup camera lag - it takes 8 seconds for camera to turn on when car put in reverse). Based on "Exemption to Prohibition on Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems for Access Control Technologies" act passed in 2014 car manufacturers cannot block car owners from updating their car's software on their own. I understand that such updates are done at my own risk and can possibly void warranty, which I don’t have any longer, so warranty coverage is unrelated to this case.

3 other makes I own since 2014 allow owners to update head unit software and make all of the update downloads public. Subaru of America also had updates published and available to public until they removed it few month ago. I sent multiple inquiries to Subaru HQ and received a reply that I MUST go through authorized retailer service in order to receive updates. When I contacted retailer they stated that such updates can only be done for a fee and they can’t provide update media to a customer even when I agreed to pay for it.

This is direct restriction of customer’s rights and it is done only for the purpose of making it impossible for customer to update their software on their own, forcing people to go through retailer services so Subaru can make more money. I love the company and this is 2nd Subaru vehicle I own, but this new business model is just unacceptable. It shows how Subaru as a company cares less about laws and its customers.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

My 2016 Subaru Forester's CVT transmission failed catastrophically at 42,000 miles with no prior warning. Vehicle would not move and made grinding sounds. Had it towed to the dealer and was told it is still under warranty. I asked about the failure and was told by the service techs that they had never heard or had a problem with the transmissions before. When I told them that Subaru has had numerous problems with the CVT over the years I was told that I did not know what I was talking about and that they never had a problem. I had researched the CVT problems quite a bit beforehand and was upset by the way I was treated. I now have a vehicle that I no longer trust and a dealer that will not ever get my business again.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The 2017 Outback is a comfortable, roomy, economical and attractive vehicle for daily use and trips. When you add its bad weather and off-road capabilities, it becomes in a class by itself!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX consumed excessive oil, resulting in bearing pieces being circulated throughout the engine ruining it. This was my first Subaru and my last. I called Subaru but was told the car was out of warranty. Even though the engineering was defective the company would still not stand behind its product. I am currently having to pay over $8,000 for a new engine & labor. Have never been more disappointed in anything that I have bought ever. If a company knows its product is defective you would think they would have an obligation to offer pay for at least part of the engine. Awful, awful experience. I'm going back to my German built autos, never one problem with them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I bought my 2017 Outback in May of 17 and for two weeks worked good. Almost no problems. Then all of the sudden EyeSight started malfunctioning and then the anti collision auto braking started up when no other vehicles were even around or in sight. The blind spot detection started going off and lighting up both mirrors. Again no vehicles around within at least a mile on a two lane road, at the same time it would suddenly brake with no alarm or any sort of notification. Then eyesight would turn off and not allow me to switch to cruise control (not adaptive cruise control).

Then almost two weeks to a month after that I started getting noise from center console/front of vehicle area. So I took it to the dealership and they said it was bad tires. So I went and bought a new set, well that didn't fix the problem. Took it back in immediately and they continued to look over it and came back that they transmission, transaxle, and wheel bearings were all bad, so after almost two weeks in the shop I got it back and it worked fine for about a month. Then the infotainment system went bad, then blindspot again, then it started stalling out with AC on coming to a stop, which brings me to now. Now the noise at the beginning is coming back and the blind spot is acting up again and this time only near railroad equipment.

I forgot the windshield broke a month after having it, not due to any rocks or anything of that sort. Just randomly popped and cracked all the way across staring from the passenger side. I bought the car with 4 miles on it. Now it has 56k and is always highway driven and never driven hard at all. The fastest the has ever been pushed was 85 mph passing semi trucks. I have started to notice GPS seems to constantly lose connection, but that could be because of the area I live in. There seems to be a lot of GPS problems up here so not that big of a deal.

I have been in contact with Subaru of America throughout the whole ordeal and all they say is take it to the shop. Seriously no **. I thought I might try to fix it my self and void the freaking warranty. Subaru fan base seems to be loyal to the company no matter what even if they absolutely are freakin terrible. They have offered no solutions to the problems but besides take it to the dealership's shop and they will have to recreate the problem. Most times they fail to do so because it's either not driven far enough to recreate it or it's just not looked at that in-depth.

Now I am seeing if Subaru will either compensate for time out of my work and having the car constantly in the shop and them selling a lemon, or just filling for lemon law. I am currently looking for options. I will never buy another Subaru ever again. I am done with being treated like an idiot from S.O.A. and being told to just take it to the shop. It's already in the shop once a month for oil changes which are outrageously expensive and tire rotation.

When people tell you they are reliable don't believe them. Also when you drop almost $37k on vehicle you expect it to work, and on top of that I drive for my job and if I don't have a reliable and safe vehicle for work I won't have work for long. Anyway be very careful buying a Subaru and I advise if you do stay away from eyesight systems. Pretty much the only thing decent about the car is the looks somewhat. The only reason I bought the damn thing is because I trusted what people said about them being reliable and the amount of interior room and interior cargo space it had, but never again.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We have owned the Forester for only about 8 months so I have tempered my ratings accordingly. I am favorably impressed with the overall performance of the Forester. It has enough "get up and go" for me even though we do not have a turbocharged model. With more than 6000 miles of driving, we are averaging almost 29 mpg combined city and highway. Leg and headroom are ample. Customer service, at least at our dealership (Sangera, in Bakersfield, CA) has been extraordinary, so far - we have only been there once for scheduled maintenance but they went above and beyond our expectations to accommodate us.

I have had the vehicle off road once and was quite impressed. While not a "rock crawler" it handled the ups, downs and sand easily. We have very few complaints and they are minor: Air conditioning fan is loud, but we live in the desert so it is operating in the top three speeds most of the time. Visors are on the small side. While front to back legroom is ample, side to side is a little tight. Bottom line, we are satisfied with our purchase, though if I had to do it again I think I would opt for white instead of silver and I might look a little more closely at the Outback.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I am having a terrible issue with my 2011 Subaru Outback paint rusting. It is only on the top of my car and the top of the hatchback. I have owned many cars for this long and never ever had an issue with paint. I have spoke with the dealer and Subaru and they will not do anything about it. I live in the south where the weather is mild.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was sold on Subaru after spending time in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana and seeing so many Subarus on the road. I traded my LR3 for the Crosstrek. Small, simple, sporty little car. I had been drawn in to the commercials selling love and tradition and warm and fuzzy emotions. I was told at purchase that the powertrain/drivetrain was lifetime. Besides the incredibly loud road noise and lightweight size of the vehicle it got great gas mileage. It was easy to zip around town and fit in any parking space. The look was sporty and cute.

At 58000 miles both rear wheels had bearings go out, the alternator had to be replaced, the battery had to be replaced and I had just put new set of nice tires on it. Contacting dealer I purchased from I was told all under warranty except for battery. Upon taking to Subaru, told nothing under warranty. When purchased I was told this car would hold its value like a Jeep. I traded it yesterday and I owed 18577 on payoff and multiple dealers valued at 11,000. This was the most costly vehicle I ever owned and the most stressful. You do not want to drive near large pickup trucks or 18 wheelers. I was suckered in like a Hallmark card on a cold winter day.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Okay, first off I'd like to comment that generally the 2017 Subaru Outback is an excellent vehicle. Now on to the real subject. The Fujitsu-10 navigation system Subaru installs in these vehicles is Dysfunctional and pretty much AWFUL. I purchased two 2017 Subaru's, one Outback and one Crosstrek, in the later part of 2016; both have the NAV system and I think they are both the same. Shortly after purchasing the Outback I began to notice that the nav system, which I use all the time, tends to provide inaccurate directions. I first picked up on the inaccurate directions because no matter what address I plugged into the nav system, 95% of the time the system tells me I have reached my destination when, in fact, I could be 3 to 4 blocks to as much as 1/8 mile from the final destination. So I began to watch more closely.

To my amazement I realized that some of the directions, not all but maybe 20%, given by the nav system were–I cannot say this in a politically acceptable manner–not intuitive, stupid and dysfunctional. Two examples are 1) it tells me to exit a major highway, go through a toll booth, then get back on the same highway, and 2) to make a right hand turn it told me to go around the block in a counterclockwise direction when, in fact, there was nothing preventing me to simply turn right.

I first reported the erroneous navigation performance to the Service Manager at Bath Subaru in Bath, Maine in May 2017. They took a look and reported the Service Tech could not find anything wrong. The Service Manager asked that if happens again I should document exactly what happened. The issue continued so I documented almost each and every occurrence, some including pictures of the nav screen. In June the Service Manager sent an email asking that I bring the Outback in on June 22, 2017, so a Subaru Field Service Engineer could take a look and provide a remedy. Vehicle went in on June 22 and it was reported per Subaru’s Field Service Engineer, “I am ordering you a new radio head unit. There seems to be a hardware failure making your navigation fail intermittently." Great… or at least I thought so at the time.

At the end of July 2017 the new Head Unit was finally installed. The Service Manager said the new head unit will resolve the nav failure and asked that should any further incidents of erroneous performance occur I clearly document them and email them to her. The new head unit did not resolve the defective nav performance and a week later, on August 8, I sent 5 different examples to her. Thereafter, I continued to send her 3-5 different examples for several more weeks. Fact was, the new head unit made the problem worse.

Here are two examples: 1) I needed to travel south on Route 95. This is a major highway, not some obscure road in nowhere Maine. The nav unit directed me to enter into the Rt 95 northbound exit, against exiting traffic, drive over both the northbound and southbound lanes on an imaginary overpass that clearly didn't exist, then travel on an imaginary Rt 95 southbound entrance ramp that also did not exist, and get on Rt 95 south. Quite dangerous! 2) In order to get to my final destination the Subaru nav system instructed me to turn right into a field having no road, travel off-road for 2 miles across this roadless field, and meet up with another road on the other side of the field. The Subaru handles different terrains fairly well, but not that well.

On or about August 15, 2017 the Service Manager at Bath Subaru asked Subaru of America to step in. I received an email from Subaru of America in which a Subaru representative apologized for my navigation "concerns" and asked for some time to review the problem. On September 20 I received a follow-up email stating "At this time, our Quality Assurance team is still in the processing of reviewing the concerns you are experiencing with your navigation unit with the units vendor, Fijutsu-10. There is no updated feedback that has been provided."

It is now October 16th. I took the Outback in for routine service during which time I spoke to the Service Manager about the nav issues. I was told by the Svc Mgr that she has a number of other reports of the same problem, all waiting for Subaru of America and/or Subaru's Quality Assurance team and/or Fujitsu-10 to identify the cause of the dysfunctional navigation system and re-mediate the problem.

Six months in passing and Subaru cannot provide an answer to the AWFUL and sometimes dangerous performance of the Fujitsu-10 navigation system. Although the performance of the 2017 Subaru Outback is very good, I would never purchase another Subaru, not only because the navigation system is defective and/or dysfunctional and/or dangerous from time to time but because Subaru seems unable or unwilling to fix the problem with the navigation system which I paid upwards of $2,000 for. Buyer beware!

Subaru Company Information