2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Find a Dealer Near You

Subaru Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I genuinely like the idea of warranties but have always found they cover next to nothing. As a woman with little mechanical background, warranties offer the false promise of safety and help where none is likely to be found.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I bought this low- mileage 2019 Forester used and admittedly have only 4 months experience with it. Most things seem fine except for one BIG issue: from time to time there is no response when I press the accelerator. After 2-3 seconds it picks up again, but by then I could have been rear-ended! This is the same issue described by Margaret of Harrisburg and is not new. I found other websites dating back to 2015 with dozens of complaints about this same problem. This is a clear safety issue and should be the subject of a recall. I bought a Subaru because it used to be highly rated but, as I research this problem, I now find more and more complaints about this and other issues.

Other things I don’t like include the auto-shutdown at stops. I had to turn it off because it caused a hesitation and was annoying. And the drivers manual is a mess — 550 pages with supplements and I can’t find how to, for example, dim the dash lights. It seems there’s never one spot that fully describes a function. Pages referring to other pages, referring to other pages that eventually come full circle. And the index is almost useless. Think “dashboard light dimmer” is there? Nope. This is only one function for which I find Google much more helpful.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Never a problem; however when term was up; but, miles still okay. I called and talked to warranty rep. and asked if I could extend it until the 100.000 miles was up. He, rudely, advised that I was 2 days late and could not apply.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I had to buy a new vehicle after my other paid off car was totaled by a person who ran a stop sign. I heard great things about Subaru so Just bought a 5-door Impreza with less than 15,000 miles on it. Did not notice it was a “base model” really as it had the Bluetooth and parking camera. The speedometer/tachometer cannot hardly be seen AT ALL except for a red arrow during daylight driving in sunlight. Can appear totally dark in bright sun! Very bad situation. Car does not have “auto” headlights but even turning parking or lights manually on in daytime does not help (as manual said could be done). This really is a unsafe design flaw. The higher option models have a better set up with the lights with lane assist. If you have a base model you are just stuck; cannot change the speedometer light level per the dealer. I wish I would have known this flaw before I bought this but I am happy with rest of car.

At night all the speedometer lights and tachometer turn on red and can be seen easily but forget it during the day. I have vision issues and wear contacts so this sure doesn’t help. If I could have spent more for the higher option vehicle I would have now but was trying not to have a car payment still after I unexpectedly lost my other car and stay within my insurance payout. I may have to trade this in For the higher option later if I continue to like the rest of the car, we will see. I think Subaru needs to change this basic safety issue on its base models!! On Google there were other people who had complained about this. I noticed now too. I have only had this car 2 weeks and wish I would have test drive longer as I didn’t notice in the short test drive.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I currently own a 2015 Subaru WRX that I CANNOT DRIVE. I had an issue where the pitcher stopper mount. Literally tore itself off my firewall. I came to find out that is was a design error from manufacturing date. I called them to get this claim settled so I could go on about driving around and enjoying my vehicle. Well as of January 2020, they denied my claim stating "the air struts installed on my vehicle were determined to be the problem". Well... that's weird; I put those on 5 days prior to even going into the dealership. Well I went on about seeking ways to get this repaired until around late August of 2020 I saw a TSB posted by Subaru in 2017 showing that this repair was to be fixed under warranty no matter what.

Well, I was lied to by the first rep who was taking care of that back in January, let me call again with this new info and see what they would be able to do for me. And so I did. I was told by this new rep that this TSB expired in June of 2019 (which I was not even mentioned or told about) and basically said, "Good luck, that isn't our problem to deal with." I can't drive my car without having any drivability issues and I am currently looking at my options because I can't afford a $2000-3000 bill for a problem I didn't do. Honestly, I am beyond upset with how Subaru handled this and wish they let their customers know when there is issues that have to be looked at before just kicking us to the curb. I've been a loyal customer for 10 years but this will be my last Subaru I ever own.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Bought this car brand new and am meticulous about maintenance. Cvt transmission was advertised as "no maintenance". Now they say it needs to be replaced at 150,000 miles and that this is a known defect! There was a horrible whining that started very quiet on and off in 2017 and became louder this year. We drove into a city intersection to turn, and the car stalled. We were lucky that we didn't get hit by another car. We took it to the dealership as we do all recommended maintenance and something was really wrong to make it stall like that. The dealership said that it is a CVT transmission, and they are known to have this problem. Told us to call Subaru. There was an extended warranty offered in 2018, but we never were notified of that and are the original owner. If we had the notification we would have had this fixed as it occasionally made the noise but it did not repeat when at our service center.

We would have had the dealer check it if we knew about the problem and warranty. I expected a Subaru to last longer than this before needing an $9,000 repair. Called Subaru and they offered me $1,000 toward a new Subaru. I paid $36,000 for this car. I don't think $1,000 off one now is going to help me very much for a known problem with this transmission that put us in a very dangerous situation.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Spent a great deal of time looking for a car. Have had Hondas and one Toyota in the past- usually bought when two years old and kept till 200,000 miles- all still running when sold and great cars. This is a new car, too many electrical gadgets and little education on how to use them. Now major replacement is needed that was not caught before the car was on the market- poor quality control. Now I know why they tried to sell me repair add on insurance and sign something about lemons- I’ll have to review that.

A new screen or computer: music, phone, etc is needed, supposedly affecting the battery. The “eye” (car correction) doesn’t work if there’s a little frost or snow on the upper shield covering the camera (the dealer says it’s fine- why have it if you can’t rely on it in storms?), occasionally doesn’t turn over first time and struggles the first time especially if the temperature is below 30 degrees (I live where it gets much colder), it’s kept in a garage and outside temp is 20-30 degrees and struggles starting. The restarting when stopped at lights feels like the starter will be run down in no time and sometimes it sounds like the transmission will fall out and there’s a grinding sound. The Subaru app says all is fine on its check up- not reliable or accurate.

After several hours diagnosing at the dealer, they ordered a part (the screen) of which they failed to call me to schedule a time when it came in... After waiting over two weeks, I emailed. No words of confidence or apology about this. The purchasing was simple, but after the sale, this is a different experience with them. I’ll take my simple, reliable Honda. (I dislike Honda's dealerships usually- high pressure, but the used car dealer’s owner passed away and closed- where I purchased my cars in the past, so I thought a new car would be the best choice and I liked Subaru’s low selling pressure.) How do I get rid of a new car (now almost two months old) with a history? I thought it was a great car when I bought it- first new car in 30 years, but who knows what will happen next, I don’t feel safe driving distances in it and I travel a great deal, so this is a serious concern.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I have had Subarus since in college, and find them the best option for tough terrain and reliability. But hearing about the design and promotion of larger and larger cars, I have to choose with my conscience. The planet I love to explore in my Subaru cannot sustain these giant cars. Get real and get a clue. Bring back the Justy...or the Baja. These were cars that got the job done. I would buy a Justy in a heartbeat...mine got 39 miles per gallon. What is the matter with the world? Don't we care?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

We purchased a 2019 Ascent and love many things about it. The one thing we DO NOT is the MPG. We have carefully monitored the MPG in all sorts of circumstances, even trying to drive at the speed limit on cruise control for several hours in 8th speed in the manual mode. That is where we got the best MPG at 19.2. At no other time have we been close to the quoted number. Our average has been 17.2 city and 18.8 highway, which are very different numbers from what the window sticker numbers showed. We have tried endlessly to work with Subaru of America and have had little to no help as they are not taking ownership of the discrepancy and they just keep trying to put it back on the dealership. Clearly this is a corporate issue as they build the vehicles and the dealership just sells them!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I leased this Impreza 3 days after my wife got her Subaru Ascent. I've been having issues since December with multiple warning lights showing up on my screen. Car was in the shop, they couldn't replicate issue so gave it back to me. Car went back again for same problem, even showed video of the warning lights, still couldn't figure it out and car was at the dealer for a week. Picked it up and next day lights came on again with all the warnings. Brought it back to the dealer again and it was there over a week. Just got it back on Saturday. I am requesting Subaru buy this lemon car back from me.

Subaru Company Information