2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.0/5 (770 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Subaru Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: March 10, 2021

My son bought a 2016 Subaru WRX STI from a Ford dealer. He had problems with it right after buying it. Fast forward to a year later and it needs a new transmission. The warranty that was sold with the car was actually void because the person who traded it to Ford had put aftermarket parts on it and a "tune." We contacted Subaru about the problem and they are going to honor the warranty and pay for the repairs. I am happy to say that Subaru is a great company. There are not many companies that stand behind their products these days. Thank You Subaru!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

These guys don’t care about you, your car, or your experience. Not at all supposed to see the low rating. Thankfully before I submitted my application to be a Subaru of America ambassador, they showed me their true colors and let me know that they were not at all concerned with their customers or with having integrity. I hope I never have to call them for any reason ever again.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I used to be a loyal Subaru customer, but will never consider buying a Subaru again. After attempting to purchase my leased Subaru, Subaru Motor Finance could not confirm for over 3 weeks whether they ever received the check in the mail. I called for weeks, always being told that someone would get back in touch with me in 48 hours - no one ever called me back. I have spent over 4 hours on hold over the past weeks without any resolution.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I called Subaru Care team last week after my Son who is in the military 2011 Subaru with 112,000 miles CVT Transmission failed. The car is in my name due to it being purchased when he was seventeen 2 years ago. Also because he has been gone the last year and not driving it due to training in California. The cost for a Transmission to be repaired is close to 8,000. dollars. The part itself costs 6,640 dollars. I called Subaru because my son is only home for 2 months for additional training close to home before he deploys, I asked Subaru being so close to the extended warranty could they assist me in any way with replacing the transmission. Outside of this issue the car is in excellent shape. Subaru America said they could not help me and could only offer me a $1,500 towards a brand new vehicle even though Subaru would not even take the Outback as a trade in and told me to take it to pick in pull.

With my son deploying he won't be home for a few years so a brand new vehicle is not necessary which I told them. $1500 towards the repair and a Subaru staying on the road instead of being totaled due to Subaru's known CVT issue I think would be more beneficial to me and their brand. Incredibly disappointed with Subaru America Care Team for One charging such an astronomical dollar amount to fix a Subaru transmission, Two not caring about rare circumstances like a military individual deploying in two months and not needing a new car but assistance with the repair of their current car so they can drive it until they leave! The Subaru America Care Team obviously follow the corporate log book and do not look at each induvial situation. Their Branding definitely needs to be updated. They obviously don't love to Care the Military!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Extremely disappointed. I purchased a 2010 Subaru Forester from Bloomington in October of 2020 for nearly $9,000. 9 months later it broke down on the road and requires an engine replacement. I spoke with the manager and was told "Sometimes used cars break down. There's nothing we can do." I emailed Subaru directly and received no reply. There are no laws to protect consumers from faulty used vehicles, but good customer service, I think, dictates a $9k vehicle should last more than 9 months. I will not be going back to Bloomington Subaru nor will I ever purchase a Subaru of any kind.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Hi, we have a relatively old Subaru, about 8 years but very low mileage and the a/c failed with a projected cost of $2,500. Seeing as the vehicle has been used very little, the repair amounts to $3 for every hour it has been driven. I asked if this was normal from Subaru and they simply explained that it was out of warranty. So if you want a reliable car that is going to last for years, and you have low mileage, maybe best to look elsewhere, as they appear unconcerned that there are failures despite low usage. Warranty should be time or mileage-based. My first and last Subaru, oh well.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

To say I have had a bad experience is an understatement. Week one, battery dies leaving me unable to open the rear hatch to access my dog crates. Month 2, my AC dies (in the summer... I live in Texas). Battery continuously dies, replaced multiple times. Advised that battery drain has been addressed, pure lies. Tailgate latch breaks (remember dog crates mentioned before?) 17 months, Transmission goes out- even though multiple sources prove that the 2019 has multiple tranny issues, dealership tried for 2 weeks to make me pay for the entire new transmission. These are just a few of the issues I've had. ***Not a dog friendly car!!!

Original review: March 2, 2021

Our first experience at Subaru City was great, we loved the car and we decided to buy the new Forester Sport, the cars sale representative was amazing and helped us with everything we needed to feel comfortable, which unfortunately due to covid they didn't have stock, so they ordered the car for us with all the modifications we wanted (as per Subaru website), we signed some paperwork and waited.

Everything Was okay until yesterday, the pick up day! The day you should expect will be a great experience picking up the new car. When we arrived the employees we dealt with to get to this day were amazing with us, great customer service! We then signed (SIGNED) all the paperwork to finalize everything, they get our car keys and went with us around our (new to be) car to show us all the specifications, functions, etc... Until one of the employees came to us and said we wouldn't be able to get the car! (When the keys and paperwork was already in our hands).

Continue to explain due to a problem that our car was having (since day one we stepped on Subaru) they would need to review with the mechanics to know if the market price would have to change or how much would be to fix (which in the employees words could be up to 10k) - we were looking for cars for months, all the dealers first question was about this problem with the computer in the car which doesn't affect the car engine performance at all - and all of them also said, we can't give you a market price for the trade in until we know how much it is to fix this problem, and JUST THEN start a contract. However at Subaru was different, one of the staffs saw the problem, went to next door to ask what would be the market price, and came with 30k WHICH WE SIGNED IN THE CONTRACT. The employee said they would understand if we didn't want to follow with the contract after knowing how much the cost would be.

This morning my partner received a call saying that the problem was going to be 3.1k to fix, and possibly more to pay for repairs if it wasn't the cause, my partner needed to pay it upfront as they couldn't put in the contract due to all the arrangements already done. My partner decided to walk away from the car deal as the employee explained to myself and my partner yesterday that it's understandable, which my partner wanted to get his car back, to fix the issues (yesterday we didn't pick up the new car, we had to leave ours there, and get a loan car which they gave us a near empty tank car which my partner had to put fuel in), and this same employee then said that "it's a little bit more challenging than that" to break the contract now after mentioning we can back out of the deal due to the inconvenience.

So now, we are currently without our old car, without our new car and without knowing what is going to happen. I also remember really well, during our first paperwork signing that one of the employees said that the market price for our car would change ONLY if we had an accident during the period of waiting for the new car or something that WAS NOT reported at that day happened to the car. The experience my partner and I encountered with the experience customer manager was terrible, Unprofessional, disrespectful, careless, not trustworthy, non loyal to the contract we signed. We were in contact with SUBARU City for at least 2 and a half months, since day one they knew everything about our trade in car, and their employee wanted to do all this in the minute of the key handling. Congratulations, you ruined what should be an amazing experience for a couple.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

My recent experience. Went to local tire center to replace tires. During process tire pressure sensor was damaged and required replacing which tire center did. However after several attempts the warning light would not extinguish. Tire center was told new sensor has to be recalibrated/registered with Subaru costing $160 and requiring the vehicle to be booked into their service center (more than 2 weeks wait) to be corrected. If you want the convenience of choosing how much and who services and repairs your vehicle without being held to ransom this may not be the company for you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Subaru advertises free map updates. However in Canada you have to try and download from a website as the vehicle option is disabled. So the map downloader has glitches and the customer service has no clue. If you go to the dealer he will charge you labour but does not have a clue as well.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Sorry to say this is turning out to be the worst car buying experience that either of us has ever encountered in over four decades of driving. First off the sales person lied to us about the accessories options available for our vehicle, and the finance guy was condescending. So I went to the parts department and began ordering the accessories that I was told were not available. The L E D side view mirrors were installed by the supervisor of the service department. He admitted damaging the inner workings of the mirrors and ordered replacements. Another trip back to the dealership and the problem was even worse. He tried to convince me that it was normal to see through only half of the mirrors as they could not be adjusted properly to be able to see the lanes to either side of me. He eventually got frustrated with my insisting that they be fixed to the way they originally worked, and told me to go home to my wife.

I called the corporate office and it has been over two weeks with no resolution in sight. A week ago I try to remote start before I left to work. The STARLINK system would not connect. When I went out to the car to start it. The dashboard and ignition lights were blinking and it would not start. I had it towed to the dealership, they gave us a small dirty loaner car and yesterday, a week later, they called to say it was fixed and ready to be picked up. We made the trip there to find that it was not true, the vehicle was not ready as the STARLINK was still not working. We're back in the loaner vehicle, it's the next day and we have not received another call about the status of our car. This car is two months old and it's their top of the line SUV. Do I have a lemon? More to come.

Subaru Company Information