1.70/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Subaru

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

484 Subaru Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My first car was a 2005 Subaru STi. I drove it throughout college, about 100 miles a day, from work, school and back home again. It never let me down, and I drove the crap out of it. I sold it right before I got married and got a brand new 2013 Crosstrek for the wife (future) and a used 2010 Outback for myself. In just about one year I began noticing how low the oil level was when changing the oil on the Crosstrek. I change my oil every 3500 miles with full synthetic oil and a OEM filter. It was never low enough to set off the oil light, but I would have to add about 1.5 quarts between oil changes, which is not normal for any low performance naturally aspirated car. I brought it to the dealer and they said oil consumption at that level was normal. So I accepted the fact that I would just add 1.5 quarts between my 3500k mile oil change interval.

At 30K miles on the Crosstrek, the blower motor started acting up, there was a hard start issue (probably crank sensor) and passenger rear wheel bearing was noisy. The dealer did not want to replace any of the parts under warranty. They did not even want to diagnose it. At that point I did not want this car anymore. Who knows what else might go wrong another 30k miles later. So I traded the Crosstrek in for a 2017 Forester Touring. Now the CVT on the Forester is acting up at highway speeds.

I am waiting to see what the dealer has to say about this issue. Whether they are going to dismiss it and say its normal, or actually look into the service bulletins issued to see if something is applicable. This is quality and service I did not expect from what-used-to-be my favorite car manufacturer. So in short, the three (3) stars is for my old 2005 STi and my 2010 Outback. Everything Subaru produced after that is and was Junk. I will never purchase another Subaru again. Back to Honda/Toyota.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I used to think Subaru is a good and reliable brand name, but I change my mind now after the transmission failed after only 6 yrs on the road. The mileage is just around 98,000. Luckily that Subaru has extended the powertrain warranty that I don't have to pay a costly repair. This failure on CVT transmission should be a recall rather than giving out extended warranty. They said that the reason for this warranty extension is that it is not a safety concern!! Really??? What if my outback got stalled on a highway, would this cause an accident. For sure in my opinion. What if my car transmission failed just after the warranty expires?

I own a 2011 Subaru Outback, by the way. I also own a 1998 Sienna van from Toyota. And the transmission is still fine. Toyota has put money in Subaru, I think they should reconsider their take. And luckily that last summer I bought a second hand Toyota RAV4 for my daughter instead of Subaru. I was looking for a used Subaru, but thank God I changed my mind for a Toyota. NEVER BUY A SUBARU AGAIN!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My 2013 Subaru Outback needs the transmission replace at Subaru's expense. All I'm getting is comments that because there are so many vehicles with this problem they do not have enough transmissions to fix the problem. At first we were told it would be 7-10 days for the necessary parts. Then we were told it would be 4-5 weeks. We have surpassed that time frame with no idea when my car will be fixed. I am not able to use it as I need. This is totally unacceptable. Pressure from various agencies needs to happen now.

Resolution response: Oct. 9, 2017

They still wouldn't fix the rust but i got a better deal on a new 2018 STI. i guess its all a number of sales verses happy customers. If the car didn't rust i would still have it.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

9/28/2017 went to the dealership that I've been to since I bought the car Oct 2014. 0 mile STI. The trunk vents are rusting, and the paint on the roof is bubbling and rusting through. SUBARU ISN'T COVERING THE REPAIR COSTS. I have 40k on the car and it's only 3 years old. GREAT JOB SUBARU!!! YOU have now lost a multi Subaru owner. Will never buy another one...

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

We purchased a used 2011 Outback with 175K miles from a private party. Higher mileage for sure, but at a decent price and we needed an AWD vehicle. We were told how great Subarus were, especially for snow. After a few months the car started sputtering from a stop, and multiple warning lights would come on... Blinking A/T temp light (even though it wasn't driven far enough, or hard enough to overheat), cruise control, & brake lights, and the CEL would stay on!!

After some research I came to the realization that this seems to be a problem with Subaru CVT's. So much so that Subaru extended the warranty on them, but did not do a recall. Great for buyers that fell within the time/mileage limit, not so much for everyone else that have these issues later on. The transmission shop is trying to find a solution that is (relatively) inexpensive. Because the price for a new, or rebuilt CVT is around $7,500, getting transmission issues on anything but a newer model (which would still be under warranty) would mean the car is basically a throwaway unless you want to buy a transmission that cost as much as the car is worth.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

On December 2017 we leased a 2017 Subaru Forester. A few months later and many trips to my dealer, I discovered that the radio system is not working. I contacted Subaru Corporate headquarters and I am getting the run around. They are refusing to fix the issue.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I have a 2016 Legacy Premium 2.5 engine. I experienced a trembling being felt on the driver seat, floorboards and on the passenger seat. I've had it in four times. This didn't happen last year when I bought the car and during the summer when using the A/C. Now this year when I use the a/c and the cooling fans go to high speed you feel this trembling. I went to the dealer for where I bought it and the mechanic said that that was normal. He even felt the trembling. He then said to switch to premium gas.

I took it to another dealer and the mechanic felt the trembling also. He then said he would look into it. He called me back and said he sat in a similar 2016 Legacy and with the approx. same mileage and said it did the same. So he even said it was normal. If it is normal why didn't it do the same thing last year. Subaru of America said that there was nothing they could do because the mechanics said it was normal. It feels like you are sitting in a vibrating chair. They say it is normal then Subaru needs to fix this problem. What you pay for the car it should run smooth. I am very dissatisfied with the car and the service. There is something wrong with the fans or engine or trans. Does anyone have this issue.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Before you decide to purchase a Subaru, be sure to check ALL areas of the car to make sure it has been COMPLETELY painted. YES I did say painted! Under the hood should NOT be just primer, it should be painted and have a clear coat on it. Look closely at ALL of the seams, inside the door jams, the bottoms of the doors, the hinges of the hatch or trunk, the gas tank lid. My Crosstrek only has an overspray or primer on these areas. For those who don't know, primer is grey and a clear coat is what makes your paint shiny.

Subaru is NOT giving their cars away, you're paying FULL price so, you should be getting a FULLY painted car! Check out other car manufacture paint jobs before you enter a Subaru dealership. The affordable Kia has an excellent paint job as does my VW beetle and my VW Sportwagen, Chevy also does an amazing job. Look under the hoods of these other automakers' cars and you'll be rethinking about the so called "quality" that Subaru delivers.

You're paying a lot of money for top quality so, why settle for less than mediocre? You know it's a bad paint job when you bring your car to have it detailed and the detailer recommends that you get rid of the car before it rusts! And I thought I was buying quality, boy was I wrong! Don't make the same mistake that I did. I am currently working with Subaru and it does not look favorable. If they do decide to help me out I will update this post.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Purchased 2015 Subaru Outback... Wonderful car!!! Except for the SCREEN on the sound system (radio). Over time, the screen becomes filled with squiggly lines (looks like ^^^^ hieroglyphics). When any bright light strikes the screen, it becomes almost impossible to view... Everything. Had replaced by dealer, but the problem returned. Dealer says it's "Common with this car." Is anyone else having this problem? Did anyone else get a 'fix'? I can definitely say that this issue will STOP my wife and I from getting another Subaru.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

We purchased a 2016 Forester in October 2015. In June 2017 we were hit on the passenger side causing our Subaru Forester to be totaled in an accident that also resulting in an emergency c-section. We paid $24,000 to buy a brand new model and drove it less than 2 years before accident. During the accident I hit my head hard against the side and no airbag deployed. I have had painful headaches since and am seeing a physical therapist for head and neck pain. The body shop that inspected our vehicle told us the airbags should have deployed based on the fact that we were hit directly on the passenger side where the side sensor was. We waited over 6 weeks for Subaru to inspect the vehicle and get back to us with an answer about airbags. They gave us a very generic response that because we were hit at an oblique side angle the airbag may not always deploy.

The next vehicle we buy brand new and spend $24,000 on will certainly have working airbags in any situation. It is federal law to have airbags in vehicles, to have a scenario in which the manufacturer can declare the airbag may legally fail is baloney to put it nicely. Before the accident we absolutely loved our Forester and I truly wanted to be able to say that the Subaru company was helpful to us during a rough time. I felt we were ignored and all of my husband's attempts to discuss our situation were handled without care. I would have liked for someone to have spoken to us on the phone directly instead of feeding us generic emails basically saying there was no answer and we had to wait. I would have liked to have known the $24,000 vehicle we invested money into might have bought us more care when being in an accident and being left without our car with a newborn.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

After driving a 2001 Forester we were so happy to get a newer version. We bought ours in February, it is a manual (2013 Forester) which we felt would only extend the life of a vehicle that has a reputation for a long life. Last week we got stranded, the clutch would not work, it would not go into gear. We had it towed to our mechanic who told us it was a "common" issue with manual Foresters where a part of the clutch breaks within the transmission and destroys the transmission. Subaru knows this is an issue because they have part that you can buy and install to prevent this from happening to the next clutch and transmission you put in your car. Wait, yes I said it... They have not FIXED THE ISSUE. They put a band aid on it and only AFTER you put a different transmission in.

The Subaru is past the powertrain warranty of 3 years or 50,000 miles and we didn't want to pay $400 to get it towed an hour away at the nearest dealer so we had our mechanic fix it... Who by the way fixes TONS of Subarus. You would think Subaru would care about the little guy that helps them sell the reputation of their brand, the customer who shares the reputation of their brand, or THEIR BRAND! I called Subaru and they told me they would not talk to me, let me write a letter, review my situation, NOTHING because I didn't tow it to the dealer 45 minutes away when I didn't even know what was the issue. "We can't do ANYTHING to help you" is what I was told.

I am thoroughly disgusted that they know they have an issue they don't fix and just keep taking our money. Instead of me telling everyone what a wonderful brand Subaru is, I will be telling them this story... You would think they would give me the money I paid for the used transmission just to shut me up and keep me as a customer.... But I guess they have enough customers and don't need me. Your loss Subaru.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

We are Seniors and have bought cars since 1960. Bar none. Subaru 2013 Outback is the BEST and most dependable car we have ever owned. The car is 4 years old and looks like it just came off the lot! Also, after 4 years of ZERO care other than Maintenance and tires and a battery there has been no additional cost. After driving Cadillacs (2 at a time) for years we never knew it was possible to have no repair costs. Other family members are now purchasing their own Subarus for themselves based upon our rating.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I love my 2013 Subaru Impreza and had no issues up to now. I know I'm part of a class action suit, and I reviewed it and saw it was not only for oil issues but also for CVT transmission problems. My car is 62,000 and I've done all of the services. After my 60,000 check up, where everything checked out fine, I heard an odd grumbling noise and was told I needed a new transmission, which luckily is still under warranty. However, there are simply no parts available in all the USA and it could take weeks or months due to back order. I was told it was "safe" to drive, but I live alone and drive country roads and was told it could stop at some point. To me that's not safe. I find it unacceptable that a car so popular should have such a serious issue. I've been in touch with the customer service hotline and someone keeps promising me he'll try to expedite getting the part, but there's been no action.

I can't even get a "guesstimate." I've been offered $500 for a rental car, but that's only 10 days and that will not even begin to cover that it could take "weeks." So, it's worthless right now until I can even get an estimated arrival date. I'm beginning to think I need to trade in the car, but after this, not sure I want another Subaru. Buying a new car is hard work and I'm not in the mood for all of that. I don't like driving around with a faulty major part of the car. I'm disgusted and angry. I'm going to write a letter to the Chief Operating Officer at their headquarters to see if I can get some action.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

We bought a 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited while it was on the train to Dellenbach in Ft. Collins, CO in Dec of 2014. My wife drove all the way up there in the snow from Littleton to avoid the poor reputation dealerships in the metro area. My wife's father totalled our old car and I talked the wife out of buying the 4Runner we both truly wanted for something a little more economical. Our teenage son was still driving my moms old 1999 Impreza Outback with 330k on it, so reliability didn't seem to be as much of a factor as much as the safety. While we lived in CO, not many issues aside from a windshield that is paper thin and cracks if you spit on it and snow gets wedged in the wheel wells just as bad as the old Subaru.

Then spring came and we started having issues with the rear lift gate. The not so friendly or helpful employees at a particular stealership on Arapahoe and Dry Creek were defensive and accusatory trying to say we had the memory set. Take it up there and get a recall on the ridiculous eyesight programming, just for them to tell us they can't duplicate the lift gate failure. Of course not! You just unhooked the battery which resets the system! We just put up with the occasional rear gate for a year, I keep the oil and filters fresh and we move to the heat of AZ. The rear gate has been getting worse to the point that it rarely ever works no matter what pattern or manual intervention you do. Now our rear gate is completely useless. The dealership in Chandler is great and has noticed the latching being brisk and misaligned. BUT of course, they can't do anything about it until their body shop opens. Enough.

First Bru purchase from us but many in the family over the years, this will be the final. All of the others have been traded or sold, we can't wait to get out of this car as well. We don't care about the electronics or the gimmicks, we wanted a reliable and functional vehicle like we had with our Camry. We will be driving back to CO to sell this car where we can get a better price for it and go shopping. Toyota quality has degraded over the years, it looks like the influence by Toyota Motor Corp is starting to show in Subaru's product lines. Too bad, we wanted to like this super ugly car, it is comfy, drives ok for a boring CVT and the mileage is amazing. Cheap parts, poor assembly and lack of customer service makes our Subaru feel like a Chevrolet. Love. Its what makes Subaru owners wish they had their old cars back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

For a long time, I wanted a Subaru Legacy car, being fascinated primarily with the reliability of the Japanese cars and also with this brand (studying the history of the brand, the beginnings, the technology, ...) and now I managed to buy one In second hand (because I could not afford a new one, though, with that money, I could have bought another car brand almost nine). I took it from a known, serious person, knowing the history of the car. It's a Legacy, a 2008, 2.0-liter, 150cp diesel boxer that has 220,000 km. Series: ** / 2008. Nr. Identification: **. Engine: Tip EE 20; Series **. I was glad that the person she bought her took care of her, he invested heavily in her (at that moment thinking he was unlucky), but it seems that bad luck continues to me and not only, But to all who have this Subaru model;

After I was interested in the Romanian specialty forums, I found out that all the owners of this model are talking about a serious problem with this type of engine and even if it had a proper use and proper maintenance, none have ever reached More than 200,000 km without total engine failure. The mechanics say there is a fault in vibrochen, which breaks and it in turn destroys the entire engine block, and the whole engine becomes unusable.

This is what happened with more than 90% of these market engines in Romania. I, even though I have not bought it for too long, have rectified the turbine, replaced an injector and it seems that I will have to replace the other injectors, including the turbine again (repair kits are not in Romania, as well The other parts, special mechanics, are no longer there, there is only one representative in the capital city of Bucharest and which does not represent the interests of the clients, let alone the authorities) and yet the engine is not heard at all and I am Afraid to go a long distance with her (I do not have the courage to leave the city), for fear of happening to me the same way, to break the vibrochen and to stay who knows where in the field... discouraging!

What is the value of the description on the official website? "This engine is not just a new evolution of diesel models - it's a revolution! It's the first time that a diesel engine with horizontal roller mounted is installed on a SUBARU BOXER DIESEL"... the revolution lies in the fact that it does not last (while other manufacturers guarantee these km) more than 200,000 km. The answer I received from the representative was that "I did not document myself before, I did not know what I was up to!" The guarantee is 200,000 km, which she does not guarantee “and we All the owners had to change their engines or give them old beasts, losing money!”

I would have liked to have sent a letter of appreciation to represent Romania or to Europe or directly to Japan (where it is impossible) and to express my gratitude for having this brand and the joy to lead it but I have spent More time in repair centers than to use it, but it seems that things will not stop here, as it is already compromised. I would have liked this mail to be sent directly to Subaru Corporation, the Customer Consumer Division, or in the worst case to the Romanian authorities, not to you, but no email address is available for you. Japan and send to the Romanian representatives, proved to be equal to ZERO. If you can help me with a Subaru Corporation mailing address, Customer Consumer Division, to find a compromise solution.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

About 5 minutes after I left the Subaru dealership I knew that my 2014 Forester that I owned for 3 years was not running properly. Eventually I found out the dealership upgraded some software because of an imaginary idle problem. Now I'm left with a car with much less acceleration and power, and to boot a 20-30% reduction in mpg. There are several other problems too. Subaru's was response was not acceptable: Nothing we can do. The person handling the case had no interest from second one. In the past they have helped with serious issues. This is their software, they are responsible for getting the car back to the previous running condition.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Outstanding vehicle. There is no better symmetrical all wheel drive vehicle in this price range. Approximately $30,000. Handles brilliantly regardless of road condition.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

January 2017, I decided it was time to upgrade my Subaru. I went to Dick Hannah and found a 2015 Subaru WRX (certified Preowned) still under the factory warranty. Sold. The car was wonderful... for about three weeks. Then it was downhill for the next 6 months. The check engine light came on and was of course taken to Dick Hannah's service department to be repaired. They claimed to have fixed it and a week later, light comes on again. So I go back and forth about 8 times (about 3-4 months, same light same problem) and I finally go to the general manager and see if this is a lemon.

Apparently I missed that by about a month. Okay cool. Now what? I am treated poorly by them and there is nothing they can do. I moved on to Gresham Subaru, and at this point I get Subaru of America involved. Gresham claims to fix the car... same light, same problem a week later. Now we are at 9 visits to the shop for the same problem. As if I'm not frustrated enough... I cannot get a hold of anyone at Subaru for probably two weeks. Their customer service reps would say "okay 24-48 hours and you will get a call from a supervisor." Never happens and I continue to call and wonder what is going on.

So it doesn't qualify for a lemon OR a buy back - no explanation, just "no it doesn't qualify" - I'm wanting a collateral exchange at this point... 7 months later, 10 visits for the same check engine light issue, the techs are literally scratching their head at my car. And everyone at Subaru of America is beating around the bush. Won't answer my calls, keeps saying that they won't know anything until their engineers take a look at my car, they keep ordering and replacing and testing parts and I feel like I am a victim of a scam. This is the most awful experience and Subaru is showing their true colors and do NOT stand behind their vehicles when there is a problem. Clearly the 1 and half stars by everyone else explains enough. I HAD to rate this as one star but it doesn't even deserve that.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I live on a gravel drive about 1/3 mile long and my Subaru keeps getting gravel up in the undercarriage. It is easy to remove but of course you need to take it to a dealer to do it and thus a service call of about $100. I have never had a car where living on a gravel road is a problem but Subaru says there is nothing they can do. I am selling my car and getting something else because I can't keep going to the dealer to get rocks (gravel) removed from my undercarriage. PS - the rocks sound like the car has a loose exhaust system.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I've been into Subaru 5 times for the same problem. Finally they figured out it is a Software Update, but that won't be "rolled out" for 6-9 months, after the lease is up. I had planned on keeping the car, as I drive for a living, and this was the car I picked up that met my work needs. I am over the mileage by 3,000 and will be much more at end of lease. I want to keep the car but not if it isn't repaired. I have reached out to Subaru and they are "researching" my options and now won't return phone calls or emails regarding the issue. Our family of 3 each own a Subaru. We are loyal to this brand, but not after what has happened. I believe I've reached the point now that I need a lawyer to get out of this lease.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Purchased my 2017 Subaru Outback in May, 2017, and rear power liftgate has worked only intermittently since then. Dealer fix in June (Don Beyer Subaru, Alexandria VA) didn't help, and problem continues. Contacted Subaru USA about power liftgate problem, and they said that I had probably "inadvertently" disturbed the liftgate height control on the dash, and should fix it myself by consulting the Subaru manual, which I did, and the steps suggested in the manual again resulted in a continuation of the liftgate operating only intermittently, or not at all.

This is not acceptable in a brand new vehicle. Subaru USA's answer shows that they are aware that there is a power liftgate switch problem and they don't have any corrective action, other than to fob off their problem on the unfortunate buyer. An inoperable rear liftgate is a massive inconvenience, since the rear storage/carrying area is rendered useless. Don't love a Subaru, will never purchase another or recommend to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I drive 2017 Legacy, leased. Three times I have had blowouts in 5 months. Car only has 4000 miles on it and I drive it only locally. Not at high speeds. The first flat they said I must have hit a pothole. I didn't remember any. The second one I pulled up to a curb in front of a friend's house, hit the curb lightly and blew the tire. The third one I was on my own block and went to turn right. Hit the curb barely moving and tire blew. I haven't had a flat forget a blown tire in 30 years. I can't believe it is me. That last one I looked at tire and it was the sidewall that had a 6 inch hole in it. How does that happen going 2 miles an hour. 3 tires in 6 months. Something is going on!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I own a 2013 Subaru Impreza. The car is currently undergoing work for a SECOND CVT transmission. With the first transmission, I was at 55,000 miles, and there were audible queues. I was lucky enough to bring the car into the dealership to be diagnosed. I was informed I would need a new transmission and it would be covered under my extended (60,000 mile) warranty. The car was fixed and I believed everything to be fine.

Last week, I was on vacation with my two small children (2 and 5, both requiring car seats) and driving from St Augustine FL to Atlanta along I-75. I was just outside of Macon, GA, and in the far left lane, when the car jerked violently and then stopped accelerating. There was a transfer truck to my right, and a few vehicles came up very quickly to my rear. I was able to coast off to the left hand side of the road. The vehicle was stripped of all gears and no longer even had a "park". The emergency brake had to be utilized to keep it from rolling.

I called Subaru roadside assistance and the car was towed to Macon (about 40 miles north) to a dealer there (with me and my two kids in the front with the driver, a very nice man). Once I arrived at the dealership, I was treated with a "we can't look at it today, what do you want us to do about it" attitude. I called Subaru Customer Care and Lisa arranged a rental car through Enterprise. I was not allowed to take a dealership loaner since I live in Hickory, North Carolina and would be taking the car over state lines. The car broke down at 11:00 AM and we were not back on the road until 5:30 PM.

Since then, this was over a week ago, I have expressed my worries with Subaru. They have assured me that the extended CVT Transmission warranty issued by Subaru last month would cover my car, even though it is at the 88,000 mile mark, but would anyone want a car on its second transmission that essentially stalled while going 70 mph on the highway???

I have asked Subaru to do the right thing and either pay off the loan or allow me to trade in the vehicle, but they refuse. Now they are stating that the rental car will not be covered for the entire time of the repair and that I will have to travel back down to Macon, GA (6 hours from my home) to pick the car up once it is fixed later next week. That's over two full weeks in a rental car and a whole lot of a headache to pick up a car that may or may not work for another 30,000 miles.

If this was my first transmission, if this had only happened once, I would not be writing this. If my kids had not been in the car when it stopped accelerating on the highway, I would not be writing this. I, like everyone else, need reliable and safe transportation. I have neither of these things and Subaru refuses to right the wrong.

For those looking into buying a car with the CVT Transmission, please don't. I would hate for someone to get seriously injured by this. It's dangerous and something Subaru should not ignore. A recall should be issued. My first transmission gave me a warning sign with a noise, the second one just stopped... there was no warning.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I actually recorded the issue this morning and again will be back at the dealership. The Dealership is great. However, my new Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring is not. I loved my 2013 Outback 3.6R and want it back. Never had these issues and it’s not like I can just run the vehicle down the street for issues but have to drive over 30 miles one way. I bought my 2017 in December and the screen freezes up; now a total of 6 times. The camera won't work right and there is a too long of a hesitation from reverse to drive and no one can find the problems. Dealership reset and again the same problems.

The scariest was this past Saturday. Mapping, clock everything froze, literally had to pull over and stop the car and then restart it in order to make it sync and work again. If they can't fix this issue someone better be finding my 2013 Outback and getting it back for me since I never had any issues with that one. The 2017 since I have purchased has had one issue after another. It seems others are having these issues as well so why isn't this being recalled or fixed.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Subaru Outback 2016 - I am unable to change radio stations from the steering wheel when my screen is in "Phone" mode. In order to change the stations, I have to hit the "Home" button on the screen, thereby defeating the purpose of the steering wheel button. Has anyone else had that issue?

Original review: July 30, 2017

My 2012 Outback just got a new transmission after 75,000 miles. I'm very dissatisfied. When I shift into park it's rough, makes like a clunk sound. Makes me wonder how long this one will last!? I'll never buy another Subaru. Makes me wonder if it was done right? Of course they say it's fixed and better!! What a joke! I think a bunch of us should get together and place a class action lawsuit.

Original review: July 22, 2017

On my 2012 Legacy, the "check engine”, "flashing Brake" light and the "traction light" all come on at odd intervals. The dealer has been able to fix this on a temporary basis by changing plugs, checking the compression, and cleaning the fuel injector system. All of these work for a short time but not permanently. Subaru America refers me back to the dealer that has not been able to solve the problem. Anyone have a similar problem and what was done to correct it?

Original review: July 20, 2017

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester with no problems and the older engine. As you know, they switched to a newer engine in 2011 models, which have a piston oil control ring that wears prematurely and there have been a successful lawsuit which extends the engine warranty to 100K and 8 years with the stipulation that you have a Subaru dealer oil consumption test. I bought a 2013 Forester and the oil pressure light started coming on around 45k. I replaced the sensor 2 times based on Subaru's recommendations because they pretended they didn't have a clue. How many thousands of complaints has Subaru had, and they act like they are innocent. To get a new engine, you have to get a TSB oil consumption test. I've had 2 oil consumption tests. The first one the dealer overfilled and then filled up and told me it was normal. I complained to BBB and got my money back.

I went to another dealer and this time I made them show me the oil level before I left, however, they also filled the engine back up, and told me there was no problem and they would never lie because they have newborns and they are honest. Right. Because I'm a girl who has 42 years of experience working on cars, and I couldn't possibly know how to pull out an oil stick and check the level. So... the moral of this story is that unless you can get the dealer to admit you have low oil, you won't get the new engine. Which means you have to make them check it in front of you. Preferably with your camera rolling. Take pictures, get witnesses, and don't let your car out of your sight until they have the dipstick in their hands. Sound crazy? Try talking with the Subaru of America customer service reps. You'll be hanging up on them, guaranteed. You'll be so pissed off, you will wonder what the hell is wrong with this company. And it never ends.

It's like a nightmare merry-go-round where your car is the POS. Plan on losing thousands along with these nasty ass people. I have now started documenting every time I check my oil and have to add it. I plan on posting on Youtube. It's very inconvenient. I carry two quarts in my back door. The 1st time was in Canyonlands, the second in my parking lot, which the 2nd dealer said laughingly, OMG a parking lot... Everyone knows a parking lot isn't level. So my next documentation oil check will have levels. I still love my Subarus, but it's absolutely DISGUSTING that this corporation does not stand behind their vehicles. They knew about the problem and are letting their customers eat the costs. Problems that are documented by unhappy customers all over the web from 2011 to at least 2015. I'm sure the 2016 and 2017s will have the same problem based on my dealings with this company.

Can we say stick your head in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem? I've NEVER had a car that burned oil at 45K!!! And from that point on, your peace of mind is OVER. Everywhere you go, you better remember to check the oil and put some oil in. Two quarts fits perfectly in the rear door... Just an FYI. That'll get you down the road 2400 miles. Then you need some more oil. I'm burning a quart every 600 miles, but Subaru tells me I'm a dumb bunny... How would I know where the level is on an oil stick??? Dumb Bunny. Oh yeah, but the camera can see it... Really, the camera can see it, but the dealers can't? Now isn't that odd. Subaru consistently says there isn't a problem, but I have to keep adding oil because if I don't, I'll ruin my engine. And Subaru hopes that will happen.

Subaru, you need to do right by your customers. You might be going strong now with sales of cars... but if everyone of those customers have the same problems with shady lying people that work in your dealerships, you'll be lucky if anyone ever buys another car from you. Subaru is losing their loyal fan base. I have two Subarus right now. Will I buy another one? Not on your life. Because I don't buy new cars to open bug covered hoods, check burning oil sticks in 100 degree weather, crank open the hot oil cap and then add a half quart to go 400-600 miles. And then do it all over again and again and again. And then deal with a bunch of crappy liars. Camping?? Taking your relative to the Mayo Clinic 2000 miles away? Don't forget your quarts of oil, a funnel, plastic bags to put the oil in, something to wash your hands with because of the dirt and oil, some paper towels, and a hot pad. And a lot of patience.

Don't waste your time with dealers or Customer Service. You will be much happier. At some point you will have to unload the oil burner. Who do you choose? A dealer or an unsuspecting person. I have the paperwork from Subaru to back up that my car isn't burning oil. How disgusting is that??? But you've got a Subaru's dealers word for it. Does that tell you something? If it doesn't, it should. Buy a different brand. Because this is part of the Subaru culture when you buy one of those cool Subaru cars. Not to mention how unbelievable it is dealing with all the BS with the Customer Service people and Dealers. Mind boggling to say the least. And how many people have they screwed over??? I'm one of them.

I have a 2003 Honda Accord with 103,300 miles on it. No problems, and it doesn't consume oil. I've had Toyotas who have rusted out, but the engine still wasn't burning oil and a Toyota RV that I drove all over the place with humongous loads on it, it never used oil. My POS 2013 Subaru burns oil like a sieve. It's a PZEV, which means it's zero landfill. What about all that oil burning into the atmosphere and the extra oil every 600 miles? So for a 5000 mile oil change, it's 5.5 quarts of synthetic 0W20, new oil filter and gasket for $39.99 and a quart of oil for every 600 miles at approximately 6.95/quart, which is 8.33 quarts of oil, at an additional cost of $57.92. Don't forget the aggravation of making sure you know when your oil is going to be low... like around 600 miles. Now this is me changing my oil using Mobil 1 synthetic.

If you have them change it, it's $58 to $116, and then add the $57.92, plus the aggravation, the BS and the absolute nothing that Subaru will admit to. Then you get to repeat, and repeat, and repeat. My advice, buy a Honda or Toyota or some other reputable brand. I've had Hondas my whole life and Toyotas for over 20 years. No problems. My 2013 Subaru? The car itself is nice, but well, the engine is messed up. The main part of the car, and Subaru sells it to you that way. Some people pay $37K and get a bad engine. What? Huh? Read all the reviews you can. Because they aren't liars. I love my car... I hate the engine, the dealers, and the car maker. Unless you want to pull the engine and put some decent oil control rings on the pistons, but Subaru didn't even care enough to do that and people are getting screwed. It's a really bad thing. The government should get involved. Maybe if there are enough complaints to congress.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Last week I took my 2012 Subaru Forester in to the local dealership repair shop for my 90,000 mile service, annual state inspection, and to find out what the noise was that I had started hearing from the engine compartment. I was told by my customer rep that there was a problem with the lower end of the engine so no point in doing the 90,000 mile maintenance since the small engine block would need to be replaced. He advised I could either spend about $5000 for the repair as the 60,000 mile warranty had expired, or trade my vehicle in towards the purchase of another. He did not mention that my vehicle actually had an extended warranty of 8 years or 100,000 miles, but did tell me that 90,000 miles is pretty low for an engine to go bad and suggested I contact Subaru customer service to see if they could offer me any help.

After following this suggestion, I went online to see if there were any other complaints about these Subaru engines and discovered a class action suit had recently been settled with Subaru about excessive oil consumption causing the engines to fail, resulting in replacement of the short block. Hey, sounds like my problem! Today Subaru of America's customer service rep called me back to say that they would pay $3500 toward my expected $4800 cost to replace the engine block. I told them I wanted them to pay for the entire cost since it appeared my problem was caused by the excessive oil usage. They asked if I had the oil consumption test done. No, I had not - I did not know I needed to have one done because I didn't know I had an oil consumption problem. There is no indicator light in my vehicle that tells me the oil is low and we always took the car in to the dealer's repair shop for scheduled maintenance and oil changes.

So I asked if I could have one done now. Nope, can't do it - car is not safe to drive the 1200 miles needed to do the test because the engine is that bad already. So, catch 22 - can't do the test because the car is not safe to drive, and they won't approve full cost of repair unless an oil test is done! But, by the way, the repair shop at the dealer did pass my state inspection. So is it safe to drive or not? All I want is for Subaru to cover the full cost, not just partial. It's pretty obvious the early engine failure is a result of a problem with their engine since I the scheduled maintenance on the vehicle done. They're already willing to pay $3500 - what's another $1300 to make a customer happy? I will never buy another Subaru and recommend no one else do either if this is how they treat their customers.

Original review: July 14, 2017

When I bought my 2015 Subaru Forester, I had my doubts. I even told the salesman that when I lived in Bermuda, Subaru had the nickname Subarust. He said he'd never heard that one. I figured that maybe it was the sea air and that in Canada, everything would be okay. After all, I loved the look of the car and the way it handled. However, soon after I purchased it, I noticed that my Subaru was surging when I was breaking from time to time. It didn't happen (of course) when I took the service attendant out for a drive at my last visit, but it does happen. Very disturbing. What's even WORSE is the RUST that started 18 months after I bought the vehicle.

The morning I was supposed to bring in my car for service I was going to clean it, then bring it in. Aside from writing, I walk dogs (much like in the numerous Subaru commercial, implying that the cars are for active lifestyles and dog lovers and the car gets pretty dirty sometimes. Unfortunately, that morning I discovered that my battery was dead and had to call roadside assistance (ironically) on the day of my service appointment. I spent a lot of time on the phone with these people, and when the guy boosted my battery, I drove it up to the dealership without having the time to clean the car. The service attendant was disappointed, as this would probably show that my battery was fine, rather than being able to test if it was faulty. Luckily, it still failed, so they replaced it. I showed the attendant where rust spots had started to form on the inside of the hatch. She took pictures and sent them off to Subaru Canada.

No one contacted me. I called and got no answers, but plenty of people saying they would get back to me. It took 8 phone calls before the service manager at Barrie Subaru told me that the company felt it was not a manufacturer's defect, but rather dirt that caused the rust, and that they were "happy" to pay for half of the repair. Reminder, this is 18 months after the purchase of the vehicle. There was also no way to talk to the person who had made this decision but I did call customer care and gave the lady there an earful, without purpose, really, as I asked if the call was recorded or if she wrote anything down. The answer to both was "no." So here are a few things I want to point out:

1- Of course, they are "happy" to pay for half. They should be paying for the whole thing. A friend of mine had the same problem with her Toyota truck. They said the rust was caused by sand. However, the clear coat was intact. 2- What would they have blamed the rust on if I had had the chance to clean my car that morning? 3- I didn't have the chance to clean my car because of Subaru's faulty battery. 4- The car still surges forward when I'm stopping. 5- This is a crooked company that does not care about their customers. If you disagree, try reaching a human being who has any authority to make a decision. 6- What kind of sport utility vehicle can't handle getting dirty without immediately getting rusty? Again, see their commercial. They should definitely NOT be marketing to dog owners. Please, don't trust the car awards. This is not a reliable car or a consumer-friendly company. They want you to buy, then wash their hands of you.

Subaru Company Information