2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Subaru Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: March 10, 2021

My son bought a 2016 Subaru WRX STI from a Ford dealer. He had problems with it right after buying it. Fast forward to a year later and it needs a new transmission. The warranty that was sold with the car was actually void because the person who traded it to Ford had put aftermarket parts on it and a "tune." We contacted Subaru about the problem and they are going to honor the warranty and pay for the repairs. I am happy to say that Subaru is a great company. There are not many companies that stand behind their products these days. Thank You Subaru!

Original review: March 2, 2021

Our first experience at Subaru City was great, we loved the car and we decided to buy the new Forester Sport, the cars sale representative was amazing and helped us with everything we needed to feel comfortable, which unfortunately due to covid they didn't have stock, so they ordered the car for us with all the modifications we wanted (as per Subaru website), we signed some paperwork and waited.

Everything Was okay until yesterday, the pick up day! The day you should expect will be a great experience picking up the new car. When we arrived the employees we dealt with to get to this day were amazing with us, great customer service! We then signed (SIGNED) all the paperwork to finalize everything, they get our car keys and went with us around our (new to be) car to show us all the specifications, functions, etc... Until one of the employees came to us and said we wouldn't be able to get the car! (When the keys and paperwork was already in our hands).

Continue to explain due to a problem that our car was having (since day one we stepped on Subaru) they would need to review with the mechanics to know if the market price would have to change or how much would be to fix (which in the employees words could be up to 10k) - we were looking for cars for months, all the dealers first question was about this problem with the computer in the car which doesn't affect the car engine performance at all - and all of them also said, we can't give you a market price for the trade in until we know how much it is to fix this problem, and JUST THEN start a contract. However at Subaru was different, one of the staffs saw the problem, went to next door to ask what would be the market price, and came with 30k WHICH WE SIGNED IN THE CONTRACT. The employee said they would understand if we didn't want to follow with the contract after knowing how much the cost would be.

This morning my partner received a call saying that the problem was going to be 3.1k to fix, and possibly more to pay for repairs if it wasn't the cause, my partner needed to pay it upfront as they couldn't put in the contract due to all the arrangements already done. My partner decided to walk away from the car deal as the employee explained to myself and my partner yesterday that it's understandable, which my partner wanted to get his car back, to fix the issues (yesterday we didn't pick up the new car, we had to leave ours there, and get a loan car which they gave us a near empty tank car which my partner had to put fuel in), and this same employee then said that "it's a little bit more challenging than that" to break the contract now after mentioning we can back out of the deal due to the inconvenience.

So now, we are currently without our old car, without our new car and without knowing what is going to happen. I also remember really well, during our first paperwork signing that one of the employees said that the market price for our car would change ONLY if we had an accident during the period of waiting for the new car or something that WAS NOT reported at that day happened to the car. The experience my partner and I encountered with the experience customer manager was terrible, Unprofessional, disrespectful, careless, not trustworthy, non loyal to the contract we signed. We were in contact with SUBARU City for at least 2 and a half months, since day one they knew everything about our trade in car, and their employee wanted to do all this in the minute of the key handling. Congratulations, you ruined what should be an amazing experience for a couple.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

My recent experience. Went to local tire center to replace tires. During process tire pressure sensor was damaged and required replacing which tire center did. However after several attempts the warning light would not extinguish. Tire center was told new sensor has to be recalibrated/registered with Subaru costing $160 and requiring the vehicle to be booked into their service center (more than 2 weeks wait) to be corrected. If you want the convenience of choosing how much and who services and repairs your vehicle without being held to ransom this may not be the company for you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Subaru advertises free map updates. However in Canada you have to try and download from a website as the vehicle option is disabled. So the map downloader has glitches and the customer service has no clue. If you go to the dealer he will charge you labour but does not have a clue as well.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Sorry to say this is turning out to be the worst car buying experience that either of us has ever encountered in over four decades of driving. First off the sales person lied to us about the accessories options available for our vehicle, and the finance guy was condescending. So I went to the parts department and began ordering the accessories that I was told were not available. The L E D side view mirrors were installed by the supervisor of the service department. He admitted damaging the inner workings of the mirrors and ordered replacements. Another trip back to the dealership and the problem was even worse. He tried to convince me that it was normal to see through only half of the mirrors as they could not be adjusted properly to be able to see the lanes to either side of me. He eventually got frustrated with my insisting that they be fixed to the way they originally worked, and told me to go home to my wife.

I called the corporate office and it has been over two weeks with no resolution in sight. A week ago I try to remote start before I left to work. The STARLINK system would not connect. When I went out to the car to start it. The dashboard and ignition lights were blinking and it would not start. I had it towed to the dealership, they gave us a small dirty loaner car and yesterday, a week later, they called to say it was fixed and ready to be picked up. We made the trip there to find that it was not true, the vehicle was not ready as the STARLINK was still not working. We're back in the loaner vehicle, it's the next day and we have not received another call about the status of our car. This car is two months old and it's their top of the line SUV. Do I have a lemon? More to come.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I want to highlight 2 specific points about Subaru Finance. Reference to my purchase of 2021 Crosstrek on Nov 2020. The Finance rep provided me false information that they checked with Chase and the best rate they could offer we was 4.49 and if I purchased extended warranty they can offer me 4.29. My Credit Score > 800 and I have multiple financial relationship with Chase. I was told chase has all access to my information and based on the current market situation this is the best rate they can offer. Being a Saturday evening I couldn't verify.

On Monday I went to the branch and asked for details. I was surprised to learn that they didn't get any inquiries. So I asked for what my rate would be for new car financing. I was offered 2.39.(I have email proof of this). To add to that - Even the refinance rate which I checked with BoFa was 3.49 and Credit Union offer me 2.99 (I have proof of this as well). Over a 72 month term that would have translated to an additional $1500 in interest. To gain business, I have to believe the finance manager blatantly lied that they had checked with all the banks including Chase and based on my credit score this is the best they can offer. I did reach out to finance department and customer relations. But once the sale is done, they seem not bothered to even respond.

2. I was charged document and fees and told the title and registration will be taken care and I will get the refund for my 2019 subaru crosstrek from DMV once the transfer the title from me. I have paid $725 for 5 years registration just in April 2020 so had the prorated refund of 4.5 years to be refunded. 2 months fast forward, I checked even as of today on AZ DMV portal. They have not even notified the car as sale per my DMV website and Title was still under my and the credit union's name (have taken the printscreen of the same too). And I have not got the refund either as of today.

I was also not provided the price which I had agreed to for which after speaking the dealership person said they will speak with the GM and get back to me. Again the Finance guy provided misinformation on cost of ownership stating that it includes the interest I would be paying which doesn't seem to be true. I followed up few times since but they never got back on this. I had sent a detailed note on this as well. For any concerns/arbitration - Dealership had asked me not to reach outside till I have discussed my concerns with dealership. I have been patient enough thus far, but as I have not heard back on any resolution/remediation from the dealership I am writing this review. Based on all the above points I have to believe Subaru Finance has been provided false information and unethical practices to get my business.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I genuinely like the idea of warranties but have always found they cover next to nothing. As a woman with little mechanical background, warranties offer the false promise of safety and help where none is likely to be found.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I bought this low- mileage 2019 Forester used and admittedly have only 4 months experience with it. Most things seem fine except for one BIG issue: from time to time there is no response when I press the accelerator. After 2-3 seconds it picks up again, but by then I could have been rear-ended! This is the same issue described by Margaret of Harrisburg and is not new. I found other websites dating back to 2015 with dozens of complaints about this same problem. This is a clear safety issue and should be the subject of a recall. I bought a Subaru because it used to be highly rated but, as I research this problem, I now find more and more complaints about this and other issues.

Other things I don’t like include the auto-shutdown at stops. I had to turn it off because it caused a hesitation and was annoying. And the drivers manual is a mess — 550 pages with supplements and I can’t find how to, for example, dim the dash lights. It seems there’s never one spot that fully describes a function. Pages referring to other pages, referring to other pages that eventually come full circle. And the index is almost useless. Think “dashboard light dimmer” is there? Nope. This is only one function for which I find Google much more helpful.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Never a problem; however when term was up; but, miles still okay. I called and talked to warranty rep. and asked if I could extend it until the 100.000 miles was up. He, rudely, advised that I was 2 days late and could not apply.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I had to buy a new vehicle after my other paid off car was totaled by a person who ran a stop sign. I heard great things about Subaru so Just bought a 5-door Impreza with less than 15,000 miles on it. Did not notice it was a “base model” really as it had the Bluetooth and parking camera. The speedometer/tachometer cannot hardly be seen AT ALL except for a red arrow during daylight driving in sunlight. Can appear totally dark in bright sun! Very bad situation. Car does not have “auto” headlights but even turning parking or lights manually on in daytime does not help (as manual said could be done). This really is a unsafe design flaw. The higher option models have a better set up with the lights with lane assist. If you have a base model you are just stuck; cannot change the speedometer light level per the dealer. I wish I would have known this flaw before I bought this but I am happy with rest of car.

At night all the speedometer lights and tachometer turn on red and can be seen easily but forget it during the day. I have vision issues and wear contacts so this sure doesn’t help. If I could have spent more for the higher option vehicle I would have now but was trying not to have a car payment still after I unexpectedly lost my other car and stay within my insurance payout. I may have to trade this in For the higher option later if I continue to like the rest of the car, we will see. I think Subaru needs to change this basic safety issue on its base models!! On Google there were other people who had complained about this. I noticed now too. I have only had this car 2 weeks and wish I would have test drive longer as I didn’t notice in the short test drive.

Subaru Company Information