Subaru

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought an Outback 2017 model on July 2016 and decided to spend more for the convenience of having the ability to set interior temperature of the car before I go in by having the remote start option. The car manual stated that if you set the A/C or heater setting the way you like it before turning the engine off, you should be able to have the same setting when you turn the engine on using the remote start. My car did not do that.

I brought the car to the Subaru of Glendale, California on January 20, 2017 and the service advisor told me that it only works for the 2016 and not the 2017 model. When I told him that it did not make sense that a newer model would be less capable than an older one and that the feature is clearly stated in the 2017 manual, he promised to call me on Monday or Tuesday of the next week because that day was a Saturday and he can't get a response from Subaru of America.

So I waited and no call came. Today (Wednesday 1/25/17), I gave them a call and was told that the advisor was busy and that he will give me a call. After a while I called again and was told the advisor was off-duty! I called the service supervisor and she said she would connect me with another advisor to help me. I was put in hold and after a few minutes, the line was cut!!! I called again and again, I was promised that somebody would call me back and as I am writing this, no calls! They were so good when I was buying the car, and you think that I was planning to buy the Impreza for the wife next month! Hell no! This will be my first and last Subaru!!!

We own a 3-year old Outback with 37,000 miles on it. Since purchasing the vehicle, we have had to add a quart of oil between each scheduled service (about every 3,000 miles). The dealership tells us that is not abnormal due to the thin grade of oil (which was never mentioned when we were considering purchase of this Outback). It gets worse. In November, without warning, the car lost all power while waiting at a red light on an exit ramp off the interstate. Because we could not get the power back, we were unable to move the vehicle to the shoulder. While waiting for the tow truck, another car smashed into the driver side of the vehicle (hit and run). After months of arguing with Subaru of America, we were told that the accident resulted from the other driver's negligence (rather than because the car was completely dead on the ramp) and, therefore, Subaru was not responsible in any way.

The Louisville, Kentucky dealership where we purchased the car finally examined it last week and reported they could find no identifiable problem with the engine. Therefore, the service department concluded there is absolutely no reason to expect this will ever happen again and suggested that we were overreacting because we fear this could occur again, without warning as before, and don't want to drive the vehicle any longer. Not surprisingly, when we asked to meet with the General Manager of the dealership to discuss our concerns, the response was that he was too busy to meet with us (but we could call him). And Subaru has the nerve to boast about its reputation for "customer service." You couldn't prove it by our experience. It would be difficult for us to say that Subaru stands behind its product.

Have 2016 Subaru Outback with serious electrical problems. Steering lockout prevents car from starting. We Have extended warranty. Dealership found and identified several codes indicating the sporadic occurrences. Bob Baker Subaru Carlsbad CA refused to fix the problem, and stated we would have to bring the car in while it was experiencing the problem which would be almost impossible. The "reason" given was itemizing and comparing the risk to a potential "flat tire" and how much money the repair would cost them. So much for extended warranties.

The Subaru flagship has terrible engine alert system. Apparently, when there is an engine problem instead of just a check engine light, all feature lights go on and the extra safety features, eyesight etc. become disabled! Subaru service says that the car does this so you'll bring the car in to be serviced and that most cars do this. I have never had this experience. Why disable any safety features! We are dealing with the all lights on, no safety features, for the second time. When I inquired about our lost garage opener left in their loaner car, that loaner was out more than two weeks because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the owner's car. I thought I was buying a good car for my son and now I'm really starting to wonder.

I own a 2013 Outback 2.5. I drive a ton for work, family and fun. Like 30k per year. Pretty quickly I realized my car was going through a lot of oil. Oil light was going on at 2,500 miles. The dealership said it was probably because of the amount of miles I drove. I would just add the oil. At 90,000 miles my transmission was making a horrible whiny noise that got worse. They said I needed a new transmission because they can't fix the CVT. It is an all enclosed unit. They said it would cost about $8,000.00 but would talk with Subaru about getting some help. It still cost me $2,000.00 and I was driving a loaner for about three weeks.

At 110,000 miles I get a letter in the mail about a Class Action lawsuit regarding the oil consumption issue. I take it to the dealer as directed. They changed the oil and I bring it back after 1250 miles so they can verify oil consumption. What do you know, my car goes through too much oil! They replaced the small block for no charge. I had my car back in three days. My point is that I was less than happy about the issues my car had, but more than happy with Subaru's and my dealer's response to those issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Bought a brand new 2016 Forester limited back in May at the white bear Subaru dealer. At 5,000 miles five thousand miles the car failed to start sitting for as little as 24 hours in a nice and warm garage. The person that jump started my car was surprised knowing that it's a brand new car... taking it to the dealer next week for an inspection... definitely not a lovely way to start a new year.

I had this Impreza on March 2016, so far very disappointed. Compare with my last car Hyundai is not that good. First the painting is not a very good quality, the front lower paint is already had lots white spot, maybe in the rough road a bit damaged, but the Hyundai never like this and I had more than 8 years, just show the painting not very strong. Second the sound system sometimes not working, still display everything on screen, just not play, like dead computer, I have to restart it. And today I found my windscreen got a crack line, not really like a stone hit as the crack very even, maybe the original fitting is not good so sooner or later will cracking. I just wondering what's happened in that day when they assembly this car in Japan? And I want to know is really Japanese care about their customer.

I purchased a new 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited in March of 2016. The interior is a light-colored leather. A few months after purchase, I found that anyone wearing blue jeans in the car turned the seats blue. I contacted Subaru official site and spoke with my dealer. The dealer stated they were aware of this and have been receiving numerous customer complaints, but have no remedy to offer. They also said frequent cleaning of the leather may cause premature wear. This wasn't something I was warned about when buying the car. I traded in a 10-year-old Honda Accord with the same color leather and never had any problem with dye transfer and no problem with previous leather upholstery, including the other Outbacks in the family. I'm looking at the option to trade in my 9 month old car on another brand, though it would cause a major financial loss. But I need to weigh this against the possibility of having to replace my interior.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Since day one I have been getting an electronic alert sound, like a "doink" sound. I think this happens when the vehicle loses communication with the satellite. It is very loud and can occur multiple times when traveling in an area where there is a weak signal. It overrides all audio sound systems. Why can’t this sound be silenced? My Subaru dealer says that nothing can be done to silence this most annoying and unnecessary noise. They said that I should not renew my StarLink or Sirius radio subscription and that should take care of the problem. What!!! I paid $35,000 and I can't use these features!! That is ridiculous. I hope someone might have a solution to this problem. Here's one. How about a line of software code that says "if communication with satellite is lost DON'T DOINK!” I would recommend any potential buyers not to purchase the navigation voice command or StarLink system. Not worth the money.

It has always been at least a two week wait for an appointment. Now it's 30 days. Really??? I was also given the option of just leaving my car there for a week. They might get to it per the person answering the phone. I purchased an extended warranty which is about to run out. Now all of a sudden my headlight won't come on. I took to a mechanic and he tests and determines it's the switch which is over $200. He says it should be under warranty. I cannot get an appointment earlier than 30 days. I travel a lot and consider this to be dangerous. Are the low beams going to go out too? Who knows, I don't. Also had a recall on the wiper motors which I cannot get serviced either. 30 days is a ridiculous time to wait for service. Especially on things that can cause you harm or injury if they go out.

What's going on? You sell us this stuff and you cannot deliver. Oh I was also told I could take it to the next county which is 40 mins away. What kind of service is this, anyway. The solution. If your auto has problems and you don't have enough mechanics to deal with the volume of customers, then Subaru needs to pay the person I get to repair it. I think that is fair. Is there a recall on the turn signal light switch? My vehicle is a 2012. Never owned a car that had so many dangerous problems so quick. My car now has 50K miles. What am I to expect in the future?? I thought this was a well put together vehicle. I'm beginning to wonder. Not being able to have the vehicle serviced in a reasonable period of time is not acceptable to me, and I'm sure not to any owner. So, I await your reply for my solution since your service dept. cannot help me. I live in Asheville, NC.

I was driving South on I-90 near Janesville, Wisconsin and noticed that my hood was not fully latched. I knew there was a Subaru dealer in Janesville rather than waiting until I got to Rockford, I'll another hour away. I pulled into the dealership and explained my problem. Soon Jim the service manger was at my car looking over the latch and cleaning it so that it now works perfectly. The entire visit took less than 15 minutes. I was then sent on my way at no charge. My wife and I both have 2014 Foresters and we love them. Our encounters with Subaru service departments have always been very positive. This latest encounter with Jim reinforces why we are Subaru owners.

Love the 2015 Crosstrek! Eyesight is great when it works. Had the car in for the recall and three additional times, in two different states. Last time, took 1-1/2 days, had a great, brand new loaner (Courtesy Subaru in Rapid City) turned out to be a right rear brake assembly. Have another appointment tomorrow, on again, off again Eyesight. This morning, car started right up, no Eyesight and stuck in park, neutral or brakes locked up. Don't know, might have to be towed in. Glad it was in the garage at home.

I'm a long time Subaru owner and enthusiasts however my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek began making a noise. When I took it to the dealership they proceeded to tell me it needed a $8,000 transmission and I'm 8000 Miles over the warranty. It currently has 68000 miles on it. How many people expect your transmission to go out at 68000 miles? Let me know if you're having the same problem. I'm currently trying to get into contact with Subaru about this problem. It has to be some sort of defect in the transmission. Still waiting for them to contact me. Everyone thinking about purchasing a vehicle like the Crosstrek should probably get a standard not an automatic. Why in the world would a transmission cost $8,000? That is crazy and go out at 68000 miles.

I have a 2014 Subaru Outback that I bought new. Until now, I loved my car. A few weeks ago, I noticed it having difficulty starting. This happens both when I use the key to start it and when I use my auto start. When it began, it wasn't cold out (I live in Minnesota). It was almost 50 degrees. The car would take longer to start and keep turning over before firing up. Other people even noticed it. I took it in for service and they tried doing a computer reset and told me that should do it. It didn't work, so I took it back.

Meanwhile, I had done some research and found that some Subarus can start doing "hard starts", which is exactly what this seemed to be. Unfortunately, the dealership I took it to did not take me seriously and tried to tell me that it was normal for my car to start that way in the cold weather (by this time it was in the teens outside for temps). They were unwilling to see it as an engine issue and told me that all cars do this, which was completely ridiculous. Prior to bringing it in, it almost would not start one night and I thought I might have to call a tow truck. If this is what my car is going to do at 3 years old, it needs to go. A Subaru dealership is telling me this is "normal" for the car and it cannot be fixed, and apparently it isn't that uncommon for this car. I need a reliable vehicle. I plan to get rid of it and get a vehicle I can trust to start. It's disappointing because I really liked this car.

I have owned my Subaru 7 years. I only have to do the manufacturer service maintenance as my Subaru runs beautifully! I have had NO major issues at all. My Subaru is dependable with Great gas mileage! My Muscatell Subaru dealership on Hwy 10 in Moorhead MN does an excellent job of also taking care of my Subaru with their GREAT service staff!

I think I got one of the few troublesome Subarus made. I have it serviced at the dealer. I complain. They say everything is fine. I call it the gutless wonder. Other friends who have 4 bangers are surprised at the poor handling and slow to accelerate car. It is very noisy inside, lots of rattles, very disappointed. I have read owners' complaints and comments online. Apparently there are major problems down the line with the Outbacks. I have the start of the said problems. I am just hoping the problem can be fixed before my extended warranty expires in 2017! I also don't get better than 23 mpg combined in the base model, and I am careful because I am cheap. I wish it was better.

Returning from a long trip late Oct. 2016, the oil light came on with over a thousand miles left to go for the next scheduled oil change. Added a quart of oil to get home and after contacting Subaru Customer Service took the car to Tucson Subaru, AZ for an oil consumption test. At the first part of the test, engine is checked for external oil leaks, oil level sensors to be in working order, and complete oil and oil filter change is performed. After 1200 miles, you return for the second part of the test which is to check oil level, add oil if necessary, and determine amount used. If a third of a quart (10.7oz) or more is consumed, engine deemed to be using excessive oil and the short block is replaced. My car is still under powertrain warranty.

Here is the problem: First part - the crankcase was overfilled (I personally checked and oil level was over the full mark on the dipstick by well over 1/2"). Second part - the crankcase was filled to the full mark on the dipstick. (Again, I personally checked) Result - Very small amount of oil consumption. Engine deemed normal.

If you look at the first invoice findings (see attached) it says 1.2qts low, add the 1qt when oil light came on during trip and that equals 2.2qts consumption in approx 6500 miles. At that rate, the 1200 miles test should have been 0.406qts consumed. Well over the one-third quart criteria. How can anyone determine oil consumption in this manner? My common sense tells me to fill the crankcase with a pre-measured amount of oil in ounces, drive the prescribed 1200 miles, return for a measured oil drain in ounces, the difference is the amount of oil consumed.

Cars are not cheap nowadays. The manufacturers and dealers should stand behind their products, customer satisfaction and not put the bottom line $$ first.

Are dealers mandated by Subaru to test oil consumption in this manner in order to save money?Is the dealer too irresponsible to do things correctly? Either way, it is very disappointing and frustrating to say the least. My daughter owns a 2014 Forester and has been having oil system problems as well as numerous other issues. I for one, and probably my daughter as well, would not recommend Subaru vehicles to anyone and definitely not consider buying again. In my opinion, Subaru's perceived reputation is just that, perceived and not a reality.

Excellently made car. Have had absolutely no issues with this car, always in top condition through rain, snow, sleet, hail, heat, etc. When I was initially shopping for cars I never would have thought that I would love my Subaru the way I do, but the moment I sat in my Forester and drove it around the block I knew I had to have it. First, Subaru dealerships also don't pay their employees on commission, so there is no need to be haggled and harassed. They state the true and honest facts about their vehicles. My Subaru has not depreciated in value, and even though it is a 4 wheel drive car NO maintenance has ever been done to it besides an oil change every few thousand miles. Worth every penny. Oh, and don't forget about Eyesight. It has literally saved my life (and my insurance premiums) more times than I can count. You won't regret it buying this extremely well made and beautiful car. I know I haven't.

I purchased a brand new 2017 Subaru WRX roughly three months ago. Upon immediately driving onward I was noticing a really bad smell shifting gears and I brought it into a shop nearby. I had the service manager come for a ride-along to view my driving habits and he told me it was OK and that the smell would go away. Now, a couple of weeks ago, I was noticing the gear was tougher to shift into first, and then eventually the gears weren't selecting properly. I'd be in gear 3 and it'd say gear 2, and so forth. Also, the biting point became completely non-existent. I took it into the nearest dealership with only 7800 km on the odometer and the clutch was completely gone.

I called Subaru of Canada about it and as they reiterated many times throughout the conversation, the clutch was not covered under warranty since it was a wearable item. The dealership also said it was due to driving error. Upon doing research into this, I'm seeing a lot of the earlier models are having the exact same issue and it's the highest complaint on record for the 4th gen wrx in both the 2015/16 models - that can't be coincidence. Anyways, I'm having to fork 1000+ out of pocket for the expenses and more for the rental I'm using since the dealership didn't have any loaners on hand.

The lady I was speaking to even said the clutch will go out that quickly depending on driving habits but I'm a spirited driver, at best. And there's no reason a clutch should go out in less than 10,000km. Hopefully this helps anyone think twice about their next big purchase, especially the wrx, to actually do some homework and check into any policies or warranty information. This is my first Subaru and probably my last.

I'm 63 years of age and suffered a stroke but can still drive. The safety features, i.e., Eyesight, back up, area and blindside cameras are a great help. The power lift gate very useful in loading and unloading items. Very comfortable seats for long distance drives and great convenient features like navigation, bluetooth phone, siriusXM radio and much more for a very competitive price. Value, All wheel drive, reliability and fuel economy were major considerations for selecting a Subaru Outback.

I purchased a "Certified Pre-Owned" Vehicle, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV hybrid, from Subaru of Orange Park 06/26/2016. The vehicle had less than 30k miles at purchase. Less than 4 months from purchase date, the hybrid system / engine went out on the vehicle. As I was driving on the highway, the system told me to “Pull Over to Safety and Turn Off Engine”. Subaru of Orange Park was unable to diagnose or service. Upon research I find that after two years of hybrid makes, Subaru no longer manufactures hybrid vehicles because of the KNOWN technical issues that deemed unprofitable to the manufacturer. I had to have the car transported to a further Subaru location that services hybrids because hybrid technicians are sparse; I can only imagine how sparse they will be 2 years from now. The servicing dealer had to fly in an expert to diagnose.

My car was in shop for 7 days. The extended warranty that I PURCHASED covered the repair, outside of a deductible, towing, and car rental. Without the warranty, the cost is estimated at $1,556. Based on research, the system is anticipated to crash every 30-40k miles. Due to faulty manufacturing, the value and longevity of my vehicle has diminished. When I contacted the manufacturer, they asked me to deal directly with the dealership, so I did. I noticed the Certified Pre-Owned checklist has a "?" in the hybrid section. The dealer was not authorized to sell me a "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle with items on the checklist not accounted for, especially the engine. Post-repair, I discovered the hybrid system was not functioning at the time of purchase.

Originally, the dealer told me they'd work out a satisfactory solution with me. However, I called today and was informed that they will not support an even trade. My option is to buy up to another vehicle, which I cannot afford, nor do I desire to lose $1823 in additional warranties that I purchased at the time of vehicle. This is not acceptable to me. The vehicle is not safe nor reliable, and the value is going to plummet as reliability becomes known and maintenance becomes extinct.

Just bought a new 2017 Subaru Forester Touring model which is now confined to my garage. We have a steep hill nearby which I use frequently. The hill is 2.4 miles in length and in parts is up to 20% decline. With all previous vehicles I simply stuck the car in low and applied the brakes occasionally. The Forester does not hold the speed down in either drive or low gear and I am obliged to use the brakes constantly which I believe to be dangerous. The car is equipped with x- mode feature but that is only effective up to 18mph and driving at that speed would make me very unpopular with other road users. My dealership has no answer but they are researching. I'd appreciate any advice.

Time proven and highest resale value of all car brands. Customer loyalty second only to Ferrari. Subaru owns the winter with symmetrical all-wheel drive, out-performs every vehicle in its class.

I purchased my new 2013 Subaru Forester in July of that year after having a 2003 Subaru forester for ten years hoping that l would get as good as run out of 2013 as l did out of the 2003. But in the three years that l have had this car (2013), l have a short motor put in at 100,000 kms which had to pull the motor apart twice as the dealership put the old shim valves back in it so they had to put it apart to put new shim valves back in. The front lower control arms bushes have been replaced twice both front CV Joints on both sides have been replace. Bluetooth unit has been replaced 3 times and still giving me problems. The HILLHOLD/ABS/ADC warning lights had been coming on repeatedly which l was told it was a faulty brake light switch. The sensor for the horn has also been replaced and all wheel nuts and hub bolts have all been replaced twice. So this experience has put a bitter in my mouth to back to buy another Subaru.

Purchased a new Outback in April 2016. Noticed the GPS map was from Q3 2014, so I asked the salesman if it could be updated. The salesman checked with the service department and told me that it could be updated by the service department just as soon as an update was available...but an update was not available at that time. A few months later after moving to another state, I asked Subaru Customer Service if my map could be updated. They informed me that the Subaru policy would not allow me to get an update before I owned the Outback for 12 months. So my map would be almost three years old before I could get it updated by a Subaru service department. I wasted much too much time sending emails to them attempting to get an update approved and after too many...I gave up and was lucky enough to find a way to update it myself.

Subaru ripped me off multiple times when the clutches (transmissions?) the sold me were defective. I've been driving manual transmission cars since 1984, but the clutch on my 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX kept going way bad for years. Only after a non-Subaru mechanic installed a non-Subaru clutch when the 5th one failed 20K miles on the odometer has the clutch on my car been reliable. Subaru fixed only one under warranty, then abandoned all warranty support for their defective product. Of particular concern was the completely crappy service done on the car by the now defunct Subaru dealership in Charleston, SC. This has been my 2nd Subaru, but I will try a Mitsubishi vehicle the next time around.

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6 liter. We purchased this vehicle new in April 2015 to replace a 2011 Outback that was totaled by a red light runner. It has been a big disappointment. The almost $40,000 total price we thought with all the options compared to a 4 Runner was a good deal, the blind spot system (SRVD) failed on the day we drove it home, took almost 6 months to have it repaired. I found a shop bulletin online that described the problem to the letter. Of course the selling dealer didn't have a clue on how to fix it. They replaced most of the electronic parts and calibrated it. That problem is fixed. There has been 4 or 5 recalls since along with over 40 tsb's. The problem that there seems no fix for is the garage door opener operates on the same frequency as does the key-fob/smart key system.

At times the seat belt alert chimes with everything off. Also the rear hatch will not open and when attempting to open either front door, placing hand inside handle, all doors lock, takes several attempts to open door, (all these problems only occur in the garage or driveway after the door clicker is pushed to open garage door). There has been no offer by Subaru to try to fix this. My Honda Ridgeline (2014) does not have this issue. This problem should not occur. The Key-fob system should not allow interference from any source. If anyone else has this problem, please write a review. My door opener is a Chamberlain belt drive with outside keypad.

I drive my Subaru Outback 2.5 for only 90.000 miles (approx 144.000 KM) when all sudden the head gasket is leaking. Replacing the gasket it's a major service that can take many hours, and cost a lot of money. I think of buying a new car, any recommendations?

On a random check of Subaru recalls I discovered the Takata Airbag recall for my 2010 Forester. I was not notified by Subaru until much later. After hearing nothing further from Subaru I called both SOA and the local dealership. They were either clueless or not interested, but in any case they knew nothing and told me I'd hear from them at the first of the month. Two firsts of the month have come and gone and no word. All I have is their advice is to not let anyone ride in the passenger seat... Today I see that another recall has been issued for the Forester for a Turbocharger problem, but that info was provided by NHSTA, not SOA. The Forester has been an OK vehicle, but not great as far as cost to own is concerned. This Forester is my sixth Subaru. It will be my last.

I was a long-time Toyota owner and after putting 210,000 miles on my 2000 Matrix without any issues I decided I wanted to replace it with something that got decent gas mileage and had all-wheel drive. Enter my 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport. I've had what could be described as minor issues with this car since day one. First, the rear hatch (it's the hatchback version) would never shut on the first try. Had that adjusted and fixed.

Second was the issue with starting the car which started happening at about 5,000 miles. After googling my issue, I came to find out that this was a common issue that the owners were referring to as a "Hard Start" and that after denying it for a while, Subaru finally came up with a "fix" which is basically flashing the car's computer. Subaru sent out a service notification to their dealerships about this issue, but when I went in to 3 different dealerships they denied knowledge of the issue or the service notification until I gave them a copy that I found online (thank you **) and suddenly they remembered this common issue and the fix. I had the computer flashed and I would say the issue is improved, but not totally remedied.

At about 30,000 miles I noticed that the oil light would come on after only about 2,500 miles after an oil change. I'm concerned that this is going to get worse as the car ages. (I'm at just over 50,000 miles now.) One thing I noticed is that a couple days before the light will come on I will smell oil burning, so I'm not sure if that's damaging the engine. I've got into the habit of carrying a couple extra quarts of 0-20 in the spare tire compartment so I can pull over and add oil immediately if the light should come on. A friend of mine had a Subaru WRX that's engine seized because of low oil and his oil light never even came on beforehand. I've been so disappointed in the quality of this car. From people I know that are die-hard Subaru owners, it seems like they just can't maintain quality with the recent rise in popularity of their cars. I'm hoping that the oil issue does not result in a bigger issue before I pay off this loan!

Subaru Company Profile