Subaru

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

January 2017, I decided it was time to upgrade my Subaru. I went to Dick Hannah and found a 2015 Subaru WRX (certified Preowned) still under the factory warranty. Sold. The car was wonderful... for about three weeks. Then it was downhill for the next 6 months. The check engine light came on and was of course taken to Dick Hannah's service department to be repaired. They claimed to have fixed it and a week later, light comes on again. So I go back and forth about 8 times (about 3-4 months, same light same problem) and I finally go to the general manager and see if this is a lemon.

Apparently I missed that by about a month. Okay cool. Now what? I am treated poorly by them and there is nothing they can do. I moved on to Gresham Subaru, and at this point I get Subaru of America involved. Gresham claims to fix the car... same light, same problem a week later. Now we are at 9 visits to the shop for the same problem. As if I'm not frustrated enough... I cannot get a hold of anyone at Subaru for probably two weeks. Their customer service reps would say "okay 24-48 hours and you will get a call from a supervisor." Never happens and I continue to call and wonder what is going on.

So it doesn't qualify for a lemon OR a buy back - no explanation, just "no it doesn't qualify" - I'm wanting a collateral exchange at this point... 7 months later, 10 visits for the same check engine light issue, the techs are literally scratching their head at my car. And everyone at Subaru of America is beating around the bush. Won't answer my calls, keeps saying that they won't know anything until their engineers take a look at my car, they keep ordering and replacing and testing parts and I feel like I am a victim of a scam. This is the most awful experience and Subaru is showing their true colors and do NOT stand behind their vehicles when there is a problem. Clearly the 1 and half stars by everyone else explains enough. I HAD to rate this as one star but it doesn't even deserve that.

I live on a gravel drive about 1/3 mile long and my Subaru keeps getting gravel up in the undercarriage. It is easy to remove but of course you need to take it to a dealer to do it and thus a service call of about $100. I have never had a car where living on a gravel road is a problem but Subaru says there is nothing they can do. I am selling my car and getting something else because I can't keep going to the dealer to get rocks (gravel) removed from my undercarriage. PS - the rocks sound like the car has a loose exhaust system.

I've been into Subaru 5 times for the same problem. Finally they figured out it is a Software Update, but that won't be "rolled out" for 6-9 months, after the lease is up. I had planned on keeping the car, as I drive for a living, and this was the car I picked up that met my work needs. I am over the mileage by 3,000 and will be much more at end of lease. I want to keep the car but not if it isn't repaired. I have reached out to Subaru and they are "researching" my options and now won't return phone calls or emails regarding the issue. Our family of 3 each own a Subaru. We are loyal to this brand, but not after what has happened. I believe I've reached the point now that I need a lawyer to get out of this lease.

Purchased my 2017 Subaru Outback in May, 2017, and rear power liftgate has worked only intermittently since then. Dealer fix in June (Don Beyer Subaru, Alexandria VA) didn't help, and problem continues. Contacted Subaru USA about power liftgate problem, and they said that I had probably "inadvertently" disturbed the liftgate height control on the dash, and should fix it myself by consulting the Subaru manual, which I did, and the steps suggested in the manual again resulted in a continuation of the liftgate operating only intermittently, or not at all.

This is not acceptable in a brand new vehicle. Subaru USA's answer shows that they are aware that there is a power liftgate switch problem and they don't have any corrective action, other than to fob off their problem on the unfortunate buyer. An inoperable rear liftgate is a massive inconvenience, since the rear storage/carrying area is rendered useless. Don't love a Subaru, will never purchase another or recommend to anyone.

I drive 2017 Legacy, leased. Three times I have had blowouts in 5 months. Car only has 4000 miles on it and I drive it only locally. Not at high speeds. The first flat they said I must have hit a pothole. I didn't remember any. The second one I pulled up to a curb in front of a friend's house, hit the curb lightly and blew the tire. The third one I was on my own block and went to turn right. Hit the curb barely moving and tire blew. I haven't had a flat forget a blown tire in 30 years. I can't believe it is me. That last one I looked at tire and it was the sidewall that had a 6 inch hole in it. How does that happen going 2 miles an hour. 3 tires in 6 months. Something is going on!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

I own a 2013 Subaru Impreza. The car is currently undergoing work for a SECOND CVT transmission. With the first transmission, I was at 55,000 miles, and there were audible queues. I was lucky enough to bring the car into the dealership to be diagnosed. I was informed I would need a new transmission and it would be covered under my extended (60,000 mile) warranty. The car was fixed and I believed everything to be fine.

Last week, I was on vacation with my two small children (2 and 5, both requiring car seats) and driving from St Augustine FL to Atlanta along I-75. I was just outside of Macon, GA, and in the far left lane, when the car jerked violently and then stopped accelerating. There was a transfer truck to my right, and a few vehicles came up very quickly to my rear. I was able to coast off to the left hand side of the road. The vehicle was stripped of all gears and no longer even had a "park". The emergency brake had to be utilized to keep it from rolling.

I called Subaru roadside assistance and the car was towed to Macon (about 40 miles north) to a dealer there (with me and my two kids in the front with the driver, a very nice man). Once I arrived at the dealership, I was treated with a "we can't look at it today, what do you want us to do about it" attitude. I called Subaru Customer Care and Lisa arranged a rental car through Enterprise. I was not allowed to take a dealership loaner since I live in Hickory, North Carolina and would be taking the car over state lines. The car broke down at 11:00 AM and we were not back on the road until 5:30 PM.

Since then, this was over a week ago, I have expressed my worries with Subaru. They have assured me that the extended CVT Transmission warranty issued by Subaru last month would cover my car, even though it is at the 88,000 mile mark, but would anyone want a car on its second transmission that essentially stalled while going 70 mph on the highway???

I have asked Subaru to do the right thing and either pay off the loan or allow me to trade in the vehicle, but they refuse. Now they are stating that the rental car will not be covered for the entire time of the repair and that I will have to travel back down to Macon, GA (6 hours from my home) to pick the car up once it is fixed later next week. That's over two full weeks in a rental car and a whole lot of a headache to pick up a car that may or may not work for another 30,000 miles.

If this was my first transmission, if this had only happened once, I would not be writing this. If my kids had not been in the car when it stopped accelerating on the highway, I would not be writing this. I, like everyone else, need reliable and safe transportation. I have neither of these things and Subaru refuses to right the wrong.

For those looking into buying a car with the CVT Transmission, please don't. I would hate for someone to get seriously injured by this. It's dangerous and something Subaru should not ignore. A recall should be issued. My first transmission gave me a warning sign with a noise, the second one just stopped... there was no warning.

I actually recorded the issue this morning and again will be back at the dealership. The Dealership is great. However, my new Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring is not. I loved my 2013 Outback 3.6R and want it back. Never had these issues and it’s not like I can just run the vehicle down the street for issues but have to drive over 30 miles one way. I bought my 2017 in December and the screen freezes up; now a total of 6 times. The camera won't work right and there is a too long of a hesitation from reverse to drive and no one can find the problems. Dealership reset and again the same problems.

The scariest was this past Saturday. Mapping, clock everything froze, literally had to pull over and stop the car and then restart it in order to make it sync and work again. If they can't fix this issue someone better be finding my 2013 Outback and getting it back for me since I never had any issues with that one. The 2017 since I have purchased has had one issue after another. It seems others are having these issues as well so why isn't this being recalled or fixed.

Subaru Outback 2016 - I am unable to change radio stations from the steering wheel when my screen is in "Phone" mode. In order to change the stations, I have to hit the "Home" button on the screen, thereby defeating the purpose of the steering wheel button. Has anyone else had that issue?

My 2012 Outback just got a new transmission after 75,000 miles. I'm very dissatisfied. When I shift into park it's rough, makes like a clunk sound. Makes me wonder how long this one will last!? I'll never buy another Subaru. Makes me wonder if it was done right? Of course they say it's fixed and better!! What a joke! I think a bunch of us should get together and place a class action lawsuit.

On my 2012 Legacy, the "check engine”, "flashing Brake" light and the "traction light" all come on at odd intervals. The dealer has been able to fix this on a temporary basis by changing plugs, checking the compression, and cleaning the fuel injector system. All of these work for a short time but not permanently. Subaru America refers me back to the dealer that has not been able to solve the problem. Anyone have a similar problem and what was done to correct it?

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester with no problems and the older engine. As you know, they switched to a newer engine in 2011 models, which have a piston oil control ring that wears prematurely and there have been a successful lawsuit which extends the engine warranty to 100K and 8 years with the stipulation that you have a Subaru dealer oil consumption test. I bought a 2013 Forester and the oil pressure light started coming on around 45k. I replaced the sensor 2 times based on Subaru's recommendations because they pretended they didn't have a clue. How many thousands of complaints has Subaru had, and they act like they are innocent. To get a new engine, you have to get a TSB oil consumption test. I've had 2 oil consumption tests. The first one the dealer overfilled and then filled up and told me it was normal. I complained to BBB and got my money back.

I went to another dealer and this time I made them show me the oil level before I left, however, they also filled the engine back up, and told me there was no problem and they would never lie because they have newborns and they are honest. Right. Because I'm a girl who has 42 years of experience working on cars, and I couldn't possibly know how to pull out an oil stick and check the level. So... the moral of this story is that unless you can get the dealer to admit you have low oil, you won't get the new engine. Which means you have to make them check it in front of you. Preferably with your camera rolling. Take pictures, get witnesses, and don't let your car out of your sight until they have the dipstick in their hands. Sound crazy? Try talking with the Subaru of America customer service reps. You'll be hanging up on them, guaranteed. You'll be so pissed off, you will wonder what the hell is wrong with this company. And it never ends.

It's like a nightmare merry-go-round where your car is the POS. Plan on losing thousands along with these nasty ass people. I have now started documenting every time I check my oil and have to add it. I plan on posting on Youtube. It's very inconvenient. I carry two quarts in my back door. The 1st time was in Canyonlands, the second in my parking lot, which the 2nd dealer said laughingly, OMG a parking lot... Everyone knows a parking lot isn't level. So my next documentation oil check will have levels. I still love my Subarus, but it's absolutely DISGUSTING that this corporation does not stand behind their vehicles. They knew about the problem and are letting their customers eat the costs. Problems that are documented by unhappy customers all over the web from 2011 to at least 2015. I'm sure the 2016 and 2017s will have the same problem based on my dealings with this company.

Can we say stick your head in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem? I've NEVER had a car that burned oil at 45K!!! And from that point on, your peace of mind is OVER. Everywhere you go, you better remember to check the oil and put some oil in. Two quarts fits perfectly in the rear door... Just an FYI. That'll get you down the road 2400 miles. Then you need some more oil. I'm burning a quart every 600 miles, but Subaru tells me I'm a dumb bunny... How would I know where the level is on an oil stick??? Dumb Bunny. Oh yeah, but the camera can see it... Really, the camera can see it, but the dealers can't? Now isn't that odd. Subaru consistently says there isn't a problem, but I have to keep adding oil because if I don't, I'll ruin my engine. And Subaru hopes that will happen.

Subaru, you need to do right by your customers. You might be going strong now with sales of cars... but if everyone of those customers have the same problems with shady lying people that work in your dealerships, you'll be lucky if anyone ever buys another car from you. Subaru is losing their loyal fan base. I have two Subarus right now. Will I buy another one? Not on your life. Because I don't buy new cars to open bug covered hoods, check burning oil sticks in 100 degree weather, crank open the hot oil cap and then add a half quart to go 400-600 miles. And then do it all over again and again and again. And then deal with a bunch of crappy liars. Camping?? Taking your relative to the Mayo Clinic 2000 miles away? Don't forget your quarts of oil, a funnel, plastic bags to put the oil in, something to wash your hands with because of the dirt and oil, some paper towels, and a hot pad. And a lot of patience.

Don't waste your time with dealers or Customer Service. You will be much happier. At some point you will have to unload the oil burner. Who do you choose? A dealer or an unsuspecting person. I have the paperwork from Subaru to back up that my car isn't burning oil. How disgusting is that??? But you've got a Subaru's dealers word for it. Does that tell you something? If it doesn't, it should. Buy a different brand. Because this is part of the Subaru culture when you buy one of those cool Subaru cars. Not to mention how unbelievable it is dealing with all the BS with the Customer Service people and Dealers. Mind boggling to say the least. And how many people have they screwed over??? I'm one of them.

I have a 2003 Honda Accord with 103,300 miles on it. No problems, and it doesn't consume oil. I've had Toyotas who have rusted out, but the engine still wasn't burning oil and a Toyota RV that I drove all over the place with humongous loads on it, it never used oil. My POS 2013 Subaru burns oil like a sieve. It's a PZEV, which means it's zero landfill. What about all that oil burning into the atmosphere and the extra oil every 600 miles? So for a 5000 mile oil change, it's 5.5 quarts of synthetic 0W20, new oil filter and gasket for $39.99 and a quart of oil for every 600 miles at approximately 6.95/quart, which is 8.33 quarts of oil, at an additional cost of $57.92. Don't forget the aggravation of making sure you know when your oil is going to be low... like around 600 miles. Now this is me changing my oil using Mobil 1 synthetic.

If you have them change it, it's $58 to $116, and then add the $57.92, plus the aggravation, the BS and the absolute nothing that Subaru will admit to. Then you get to repeat, and repeat, and repeat. My advice, buy a Honda or Toyota or some other reputable brand. I've had Hondas my whole life and Toyotas for over 20 years. No problems. My 2013 Subaru? The car itself is nice, but well, the engine is messed up. The main part of the car, and Subaru sells it to you that way. Some people pay $37K and get a bad engine. What? Huh? Read all the reviews you can. Because they aren't liars. I love my car... I hate the engine, the dealers, and the car maker. Unless you want to pull the engine and put some decent oil control rings on the pistons, but Subaru didn't even care enough to do that and people are getting screwed. It's a really bad thing. The government should get involved. Maybe if there are enough complaints to congress.

Last week I took my 2012 Subaru Forester in to the local dealership repair shop for my 90,000 mile service, annual state inspection, and to find out what the noise was that I had started hearing from the engine compartment. I was told by my customer rep that there was a problem with the lower end of the engine so no point in doing the 90,000 mile maintenance since the small engine block would need to be replaced. He advised I could either spend about $5000 for the repair as the 60,000 mile warranty had expired, or trade my vehicle in towards the purchase of another. He did not mention that my vehicle actually had an extended warranty of 8 years or 100,000 miles, but did tell me that 90,000 miles is pretty low for an engine to go bad and suggested I contact Subaru customer service to see if they could offer me any help.

After following this suggestion, I went online to see if there were any other complaints about these Subaru engines and discovered a class action suit had recently been settled with Subaru about excessive oil consumption causing the engines to fail, resulting in replacement of the short block. Hey, sounds like my problem! Today Subaru of America's customer service rep called me back to say that they would pay $3500 toward my expected $4800 cost to replace the engine block. I told them I wanted them to pay for the entire cost since it appeared my problem was caused by the excessive oil usage. They asked if I had the oil consumption test done. No, I had not - I did not know I needed to have one done because I didn't know I had an oil consumption problem. There is no indicator light in my vehicle that tells me the oil is low and we always took the car in to the dealer's repair shop for scheduled maintenance and oil changes.

So I asked if I could have one done now. Nope, can't do it - car is not safe to drive the 1200 miles needed to do the test because the engine is that bad already. So, catch 22 - can't do the test because the car is not safe to drive, and they won't approve full cost of repair unless an oil test is done! But, by the way, the repair shop at the dealer did pass my state inspection. So is it safe to drive or not? All I want is for Subaru to cover the full cost, not just partial. It's pretty obvious the early engine failure is a result of a problem with their engine since I the scheduled maintenance on the vehicle done. They're already willing to pay $3500 - what's another $1300 to make a customer happy? I will never buy another Subaru and recommend no one else do either if this is how they treat their customers.

When I bought my 2015 Subaru Forester, I had my doubts. I even told the salesman that when I lived in Bermuda, Subaru had the nickname Subarust. He said he'd never heard that one. I figured that maybe it was the sea air and that in Canada, everything would be okay. After all, I loved the look of the car and the way it handled. However, soon after I purchased it, I noticed that my Subaru was surging when I was breaking from time to time. It didn't happen (of course) when I took the service attendant out for a drive at my last visit, but it does happen. Very disturbing. What's even WORSE is the RUST that started 18 months after I bought the vehicle.

The morning I was supposed to bring in my car for service I was going to clean it, then bring it in. Aside from writing, I walk dogs (much like in the numerous Subaru commercial, implying that the cars are for active lifestyles and dog lovers and the car gets pretty dirty sometimes. Unfortunately, that morning I discovered that my battery was dead and had to call roadside assistance (ironically) on the day of my service appointment. I spent a lot of time on the phone with these people, and when the guy boosted my battery, I drove it up to the dealership without having the time to clean the car. The service attendant was disappointed, as this would probably show that my battery was fine, rather than being able to test if it was faulty. Luckily, it still failed, so they replaced it. I showed the attendant where rust spots had started to form on the inside of the hatch. She took pictures and sent them off to Subaru Canada.

No one contacted me. I called and got no answers, but plenty of people saying they would get back to me. It took 8 phone calls before the service manager at Barrie Subaru told me that the company felt it was not a manufacturer's defect, but rather dirt that caused the rust, and that they were "happy" to pay for half of the repair. Reminder, this is 18 months after the purchase of the vehicle. There was also no way to talk to the person who had made this decision but I did call customer care and gave the lady there an earful, without purpose, really, as I asked if the call was recorded or if she wrote anything down. The answer to both was "no." So here are a few things I want to point out:

1- Of course, they are "happy" to pay for half. They should be paying for the whole thing. A friend of mine had the same problem with her Toyota truck. They said the rust was caused by sand. However, the clear coat was intact. 2- What would they have blamed the rust on if I had had the chance to clean my car that morning? 3- I didn't have the chance to clean my car because of Subaru's faulty battery. 4- The car still surges forward when I'm stopping. 5- This is a crooked company that does not care about their customers. If you disagree, try reaching a human being who has any authority to make a decision. 6- What kind of sport utility vehicle can't handle getting dirty without immediately getting rusty? Again, see their commercial. They should definitely NOT be marketing to dog owners. Please, don't trust the car awards. This is not a reliable car or a consumer-friendly company. They want you to buy, then wash their hands of you.

I have a new 2017 Subaru Outback. The dealer has already replaced the "radio/GPS" hardware. But still the GPS is too slow to react to drive instructions. It tells you to exit a ramp after you pass the ramp. My wife noticed it too. You would think every company offering a GPS would have mastered a GPS system by now. After they replaced the unit, it is still too slow. Interior is very cheap too.

Buyer beware. It seems Subaru has a long standing manufacturer's issue with the head gasket that should have been addressed via recall. Instead they are piecemealing the issue with small repair discounts. My car has only 66k miles (6k miles outside warranty) and been well-maintained. I am discovering that this has been an issue since the mid to late '90s. Just like the class action for heavy oil use, it seems Subaru will wait for the lawsuit to finally be forced to address the problem. 4th family Subaru and I will tell everyone I know of my experience and never to buy a Subaru again.

I have found many things I hate about my Subaru. The biggest is you can't use any of the devices unless the car is running and you are burning gasoline. You can't listen to the radio or charge your phone or use your gps or talk on your phone through the radio. I used that for 10 minutes and my battery was dead. The heater does throw heat on your feet. There is a tube about an inch wide that comes down beside the console and that is all the heat you get. If you are in a hard rain storm, you can't see because the wipers do not run that fast. I have an SUV and the back hatch is so difficult to open or shut, I have to put everything down to open or shut it. I bought this vehicle due to Consumer Reports data.

They apparently do not look at things like this. I hate it. Anytime I ask Subaru, they say that is just the way Subarus are. Now my radio screen has squiggly lines all over it. So bad I cannot see to back up or see the channel on the radio if the sun is shining on it. They said, "Well, the radio works, doesn't it." If we were talking about a 57 Chevy, yes, I can hear the radio. But this vehicle radio is supposed to do other things and it does not because you cannot see them. This item I believe cuts into resale value. Anyone thinking of buying a Subaru should check out these items. If they are ok with them, fine. But I was not told nor did I think to check them before I purchased and Subarus do not come cheap.

Subaru is one of those Teflon companies like Apple that seems to have a loyal consumer base without any regard to their conduct. For example, their advertising suggests that they are good corporate citizens but they are one of the very few auto companies with not a single hybrid or electric model. (When they once experimented with a hybrid Impreza, it added precisely one mpg to its fuel efficiency). But what really surprised me is how, at the corporate level, Subaru is extraordinarily unlike the image it projects. After experiencing a significant mechanical problem with just 34,000 miles on my Impreza, I brought the car in for service. The service department tried six repairs, all making the problem worse. When I informed Subaru of America, they offered me two options: a $500 credit toward a new model (the type of incentive routinely offered to new customers), or a return visit for a seventh repair.

I asked a supervisor I spoke with in Consumer Affairs, "What would you do if this were your car?" She refused to respond. I asked why she would not answer and she became angry and told me to call the attorney general's office. (This was someone who trains others in how to interact with consumers). Another Subaru of America representative echoed her invitation and told me not to bother reaching out to anyone else -- that he, a middle manager, was the last word. Even if I was satisfied with the car, the experience with the company was enough to make this Subaru, my third and last.

I purchased a Subaru Legacy 2008 Special Edition after my Toyota Corolla was totaled in an accident, 5 years ago, as I hear it is SUCH a great car, great safety etc. I felt better buying a newer vehicle for hopes I would have to only do basic maintenance and not have any major repairs for at least a few years as my other car was 15 yrs old. EVER since I purchased this vehicle, it has been nothing but a money pit! It got sold to me with unbeknownst to me a faulty wheel bearing. I had NO idea and rode with a humming noise for several months thinking my car was fully looked over by the technicians and car dealership selling it (I paid 15k for this car mind you!) It needed tires also... so after $700 worth of tires and $300 for a wheel bearing on top of the 15k I paid for it, fast forward to I am now needing MY THIRD WHEEL BEARING!!! IN 5 YEARS!!!

I don't do ANY heavy driving whatsoever, do not beat the car, I drive locally on sideroads 35-40 mph or less and sometimes a small drive on the highway to visit a friend. 3 wheel bearings needing replaced on a 9 year old car in the last 5 yrs of owning it???! I presume the 4th is about to go too... Not get past the wheel bearings failing, the car eats gas like no tomorrow. I eat a half a tank of gas in 3 days. Yes 3 days. Ever since I owned the car, (it's an automatic) it constantly shifts rough and jerks hard sometimes shifting gears. Or is very sluggish (I have had the transmission checked and everything after I bought the car). It's like the car is choking on itself.

I will NEVER buy another Subaru again! It has been costing me so much money. I cannot afford it. And for a safe reliable 4 door vehicle the insurance on it is as much as a BMW or Audi. I should have bought one of those because the parts are just as expensive as a expensive luxury vehicle! That's another thing parts are EXPENSIVE! Now I took it to the shop and there is oil on the oil pan dripping out (I only have 88k miles mind you and get the oil services every 6 mos). And the entire dual mufflers and cat back is shot and rotting out and needs replacement (it costs over 600 bucks for that). I don't know at this point, but I feel like selling this money pit expensive mess of a junk by Subaru and finding a more quality vehicle that will not need CONSTANT repairs and attention.

The Subaru Outback 2010 has been trouble from day 1. Constantly worrying about what will happen next. Uses oil, all lights replaced, AC and radio quit working, torque converter, and on and on and on. Worst car I have ever purchased by me or anyone in my family.

We bought a 2012 Subaru Forester because of their reliability and safety. We bought it from a dealer used with only 114,000ish miles on it. After one oil change it now has gone through 2.5qts of oil in half of the oil's life. After calling Subaru they said that there is nothing they can do to fix the problem without me paying several thousand dollars because it has more than 100,000 miles. This is completely unacceptable! I have been a mechanic professionally for 16 years and the last time I had a customer that had a vehicle that went through that much oil they blew their engine. Subaru needs to man up and fix this issue and fix it correctly, no band-aid on a bullet hole.

Bought a 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 on Jan 2015. Never had a car like this before. To think that they supposed to be reliable. On its 30 month or about 40k miles the engine went dead, on a warm morning weather. Attempted to jump start but to no avail. Road service responded and attempted to jump start but unsuccessful. Finally towed to Bill KOLB SUBARU, ORANGEBURG, NY. BATTERY AND MASTER FUSED CHANGED. Gregg of service dept said, maybe an interior light was left on. But could not be, once alarm was pressed it shuts everything off. Charge - $524 - 180 for battery and 300 for labor for finding the problem - a blown master fuse. Were supposed to be computerized now but it took them 3 hrs to diagnose the problem. I'm very very disappointed with Subaru. Thinking of trading it off before it act out again in peculiar situation with my entire family on it.

I certainly like my Subaru but... Over a year ago, Subaru notified its owners of an airbag recall and warned us not to have anyone sit in the front. Having a large family that proved to be a big problem and inconvenience. Months later, we received a note that the airbags were now available and to schedule an appointment for the replacement with the nearest dealer. Upon calling the dealer, we learned that there is a two months waiting list (and that's within less than 24 hours of having received that note in the mail). The dealer took our information and informed us that we would be contacted in the order our name was received.

Fast forward three months later, we never heard back from the dealer. So we called again, they said "can you bring it in a week time because they only receive 4 new airbags at a time." At that point, we weren't sure if they simply forgot to call customers back or they're overwhelmed with this whole recall thing. We probably would have never heard back had we not called (In the meantime, Subaru had sent another note urging us to get the airbag replaced.). And when you eventually get an appointment, they cannot tell you how long the work will take given that they have so many appointments. Overall, I find that Subaru has not been on top of this recall issue and is not acting swiftly. Given the safety risk associated with the faulty airbags, they need to act with a greater sense of urgency since people lives are at risk. And the customer service end has not been any better either.

Have a 2015 Subaru Forester and can't stand driving it bc the Bluetooth rarely pairs and/or works. Once it does pair, it drops calls as soon as I start driving faster (like on the highway) and then pops back on once I slow down (exit the highway). It's the craziest thing! I've brought it to the dealership and it seemed 'fixed' when I left, but then the next day it started acting up again. Apparently, it's a software issue. Apple says that Subaru software is outdated and need to be updated. C'mon, it's 2017... update your software. I swear more accidents are going to be caused from jacking with this bluetooth! So frustrating and time-consuming.

Subaru - love the car, hate the company! This is just the latest issue I had to deal with on my wife's 2014 Outback Limited with the special appearance package, a car that stickers for close to $37,000. In hindsight, I should have bought a Lexus NX for that price! I have had countless issues with stupid things in this car. The AC broke and the first time they fixed the car, they pulled a part off another car on the sales lot (really?). Every wheel molding installed by the factory fell off. The rear storage plastic covers all fell apart. I have had multiple sensor issues including the one described below. The list goes on. And the closest dealer is an hour away so if they never take your word for anything and they never stock parts in house, so every fix requires a minimum of 4 trips. My last experience was actually four trips to a dealer 2 hours away.

In fact, I was right the whole time every time and in this last experience, dealer tested the issue using a tire pressure gauge, one who he admitted was faulty. A simple, cheap TPMS troubleshooting tool would have avoided everything listed below. Why? Because one of the sensor batteries was low, but they were incompetent in finding it. Perhaps this email sent to the dealer says it all:

Just as an FYI... I just responded to the Subaru of North America survey with the following statement: "Dot was the WORST representative you can hire to help your customers. She is adamant about protecting Subaru's resources than solving a customer's safety issue, regardless of "policy." If leaving your customers high and dry with a valid safety issue that causes frequent distractions to whether my wife is low on gas, TPMS, etc. is UNACCEPTABLE!! I had to sneak around DOT in order to get to a manager of the team who is now at least providing the resource of time towards my issue."

"I DEEPLY fear my issue will not be resolved, despite my photographic proof of the issue that is FALSELY causing safety alerts during my wife's driving of the vehicle. I explained this inexcusable behavior by Subaru has now put my future trust in Subaru in serious jeopardy. This is my second Subaru, my first being a Saab 9-2x, which makes this car my first with Subaru directly. With a car being allowed to travel on the roads with a serious safety issue is unquestionably irresponsible of your company. And Dot makes sure I do not get the help needed. She was yelling at me and a disgrace of your organization."

"REPLACE TPMS sensors immediately under warranty. I am at a loss at what else there is to do. This is the position I am now in. If there is any way we can escalate this within the Subaru executive organization, it would be greatly appreciated. I cannot fathom giving my wife her car back with this serious safety issue questioning her constantly whether or not her tires are safe based on the continued false TPMS sensors, only because you are unable to reproduce the issue, despite my three documented and photographed incidents SINCE leaving your service center on my last two visits. Despite the policy, I am seeking replacements of the TPMS sensors to give my wife the safety and security she needs as safety is our number one concern when purchasing a vehicle."

"Whatever we need to do, please let's continue to push for escalation wherever possible. Subaru has a responsibility to stand behind the safety of their vehicles under warranty. While my wife's car is in your dealership service center right now for the third time in three consecutive weeks, you have the opportunity to make this right. You have the proof it happened three times after leaving your dealership, that is all that should be required for replication of the issue."

I have owned 4 Subarus but I must say, I am done with the company. My 2002 Outback had the leaking head gaskets but was not part of the recall. Subaru paid for the repair (as they should have) and I was told the head gasket issue had been resolved on the newer model Subarus. When it was time to purchase a new car I bought a 2007 Outback thinking I would be OK because SOA promised the head gasket thing was resolved. Imagine my shock when I was told I had oil leaking from my head gasket. Then soon after the antifreeze started leaking. I wrote to SOA and was told this was normal wear on a car with 139000 miles. Shame on you Subaru. I have since found many people with the same leaking gasket issue on different model/year/mileage of Subarus. A google search will show you or just ask any mechanic or your Subaru owning friends. I wish I had done better homework. I love my AWD wagon but never another Subaru.

2014 Outback- Until now I have done all my oil changes at the dealer (Tom Wood Subaru). On 3 occasions the oil light came on and I had to add one quart of oil. This occurred about 3000 to 4000 miles after the oil change. When I brought this up with the service rep the first time he told me that apparently during assembly, one of the three piston rings had not been installed in some vehicles resulting in excessive oil consumption. Consequently, Subaru had instituted a usage test involving retesting for loss of oil after 1200 miles (loss of 1/3 quart). The dealership has run this test twice and reported no excessive loss of oil in either case. I believe that the test being used by Subaru is not precise enough to detect the problem after 1200 miles and should actually be done between 3000 and 4000 miles. The other possibility is that excessive oil consumption occurs under certain conditions. If this is the case, Subaru needs to share this information with the vehicle owners.

I bought my Outback new and have taken meticulous care of the car, religiously changed the oil and all of the customary tune ups. I do quite a bit of driving, having put 149k in less than 6 years but have tended to every update or replacement so to avoid any unforeseen major issues. Last year, my oil light came in which confused me since I had 2k miles to go before the next oil change. Went to check the oil and it was boned drive. Since then, I have carried extra oil - just in case this happened again. Did not think much of this fluke. Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I felt a noticeable decrease in performance. Took it to my mechanic and always got "it's fine".

A month ago, noticed that my acceleration was compromised so my mechanic changed the engine filter and then the battery, which improved the acceleration slightly, but thought it was in my head. The car started to make a "rattling sound" after trying to accelerate over 60-80MPH; it felt that the engine was choking. I would not even pass other cars for fear of the car stalling; no lights came on. Then the next day, the dashboard went haywire with the lights (cruise control, solid engine light, traction control, and another light that I can't remember right now). Took it to another Subaru dealership in North Attleboro, MA and they hooked it up to the "machine" and told me that I needed OSV Valves for both side, code P0028. The cost of the valves were 235.74 and labor was 600.00, totaling $835.74, which I paid since I thought it was going to resolve this issue once and for all.

I asked if the tech took the car for a test drive and they could not confirm this. I picked up the Subaru and drove off, the car had a slight improvement but not for the 835.75 repair. Called Subaru the next day, and drove the car back to the dealership. Had the general manager drive my car, and he felt that the car had no power to accelerate and that the transmission felt like it was slipping. This was Saturday morning. On Tuesday, the Subaru manager said that they were still working on it; they could not find the source of the problem and was on the phone with another Subaru department trying to figure this out. A day later, we got a text message stating it was my transmission leaking down internally. The cost to replace was $6040 and that did not include other parts and fluid. I wrote to Subaru since I feel that the Class Action Lawsuit of the excessive oil consumption may be related to the transmission.

In addition, Subaru had replaced OSV valves and did not test drive the car to see if they remedy the issue. Lastly, why did the diagnostic machine pick this up? I purposely asked the tech, if there was another nested issue underneath the OSV valves; she answered "no". The POO28 code was correct diagnosis. I will contest the charge for the valves on my Visa and have written to Subaru Corp about this issue. Between replacing timing belt, fuel pump, tires... this transmission would have set me back well over 10k. If I can't get Subaru to fix this for under 2k, I will trade it in. This car was great in the snow, but the seats were uncomfortable, poor visibility from the side of the car (blindspots were bad). Headlights are constantly burning out and Subaru response is to go to the dealership to get them replaced. Next car will be a Honda or Toyota.

I can not believe that Subaru refuse to fix a warranty issue with a new vehicle. Subaru have dodged the issue for 18 months. They refused to admit there was an issue; operator error. Now they admit there is a fault but only want to fix half the problem. Looking at international websites, there are quite a large number of complaints about the 2015 Outback and also the tailgate function. The tailgate has malfunctioned since now and they make up plenty or reasons not to repair the car. I thought this sort of deceptive practice stopped in the last century. So much for buying a new vehicle.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Subaru of America resolved this issue.

Jack of Las Cruces, NM on

Original Review

I purchased a new Subaru Forester 2017 manual. At approximately 2300 miles the oil light came on and I had to purchase 2 quarts of oil to get the light to turn off. I took the car into Dellenbach Subaru in Fort Collins, CO and was told that they would need to run an oil consumption test which requires me to drive the car for 1200 miles. I was not happy. The service manager, Jerry, agreed that they have had issues with the Forester and oil consumption. A salesman informed me that they had to "buy back" another 2017 Forester model because of the oil consumption. I told them that I did not think that it should be the customers responsibility to drive a car 1200 miles in order for Subaru to determine if there is an issue. I purchased a new car and should not have to put oil into it this early on. That's why I purchased a new car, in order that I wouldn't have to return to the dealership with any issue(s) or have any issues to deal with at all.

I told them that I was not happy. I would like to trade-in the car for another car that they have not had any problems/issues with previously. I was told that this is the only way for Subaru to determine if there is an issue. Obviously, there is an issue here. Subaru customer service needs to listen to the customer. One does not pay the money for a new car to have to return to the dealership 3 times to deal with Subaru's problem.

I bought my 2014 Subaru Forester new, I even had to wait for them to make it. I was excited until driving home from work one day and my oil light comes on, so naturally I add a quart of oil. Then I have my oil changed and told them to put in an extra quart because of it using up a quart before my next oil change, but lo and behold the oil light came on again. I am so afraid that I am going to have major issues after I reach 100,000 miles. They have done 2 oil consumption test and they come back fine per the dealership. I don't understand how they come back fine and halfway through my oil change my oil light comes on.

Subaru Company Profile