Tesla Motors
  • 1 star
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Tesla Motors

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

33 Tesla Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I’m 63 and I’ve owned several high end luxury cars in my lifetime. But there is no experience as amazing as my new 2017 Model S. The ride, the build quality, the radio and sound system all are amazing. Charges super fast and the ride is so quiet. I’ve only had it about 6 weeks but not a single problem. Comfortably seats my family of 5. Can’t believe how much I am enjoying this car. The experience from order to delivery is absolutely first class.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

In 2016 my Tesla Model S delivered with paint defect (front hood), missing side panel, only the latter was addressed at delivery but the former requires full repainting of hood. Noted in delivery but was asked for accept delivery as-is. During 2017, multiple door seams started coming off from the sides and had to be repaired in the shop. While it was being repaired as part of the first annual service, service center staff damaged front side door leather panel (scratched and cut) and left dried glue on the back body.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Ordered Tesla X and requested all season tires. Salesperson assured that the car will have all season tires. Got the order - did not say all season tires anywhere. Asked again that car will have all season tires - was assured of the same. A week later, salesperson called that they had an existing car with the specs we want for a better deal (it was a demo). Asked again about all season tires. Salesperson said "they could not confirm since car was on train". Got contacted 2-3 weeks later that car arrived. Asked again if the car has all season tires - the delivery center said they did not know (I presume the car was in the delivery center since they wanted us to come pick it up). Asked to please confirm that car has all season tires - 2 days later; got note that the car DOES NOT.

Asked if they could please put all season tires on the car. 1 day later message back that they do not have them in stock. Manager called to explain that "they don't know what tires are on the car until it shows up because that is how Tesla works". I have been buying cars for more than 25 years - even 25 years ago a salesperson could tell me what type of tires were on a car and would at least try and help me get the tires on. Tesla response - we don't have them, why don't you get them after market. I asked for credit, and they said no and that if I don't want the car I lose the $2,500 deposit. I will talk to my attorney about that.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Bought in May 2017 --- in shop for creaky motors, trunk does not open properly, creaks when braking. It was in the shop for all these reasons just a couple of months after purchase. When it came back, the trunk still did not open properly, the creaking lessened to a loud wheeze and then a new problem - the sensors in the doors are not ready for market - they are not smart - just robotic - so if I had something blocking me in spot A today, it resisters spot A as someplace it won't open -- stupid application of what was originally a smart idea. The manual override works but not all the time. The creaky motor and the rest of the experiment that is Model X made me wonder if I had bought a LEMON for all of $125 K. I realized we had when I had my first experience of what is known as "Sudden Unintended Acceleration" as I was slowing to a halt very nonchalantly at a signal.

The car SUDDENLY accelerated to a spooky pace and crashed into the Toyota truck in front. There was less than a car length between the 2 cars and the acceleration while dangerous resulted in a collision and nonlife threatening injuries. Tesla of course denies anything wrong with the car. They obviously can't admit anything wrong with their experiment. Both my husband and I have changed our cars. We both had Teslas. Mine is in the shop but we don't plan to get behind that wheel again. We may buy an electric car when it is tried and tested by a real car manufacturer and the technology is set in. No one wants to be in a car that just accelerates on its own. My first accident and it is NOT of my doing. Where are the institutions that are supposed to insist on better quality control and testing! I want my money back. I was sold a LEMON and this car is a public menace. Drivers beware!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Bought my Tesla S on September 30th 2017. Have not driven it much since I got it. Had problems installing my charger. So drive it for 300 miles and noticed the passenger front door and back passenger door did not line up. Then the passenger door behind the driver side the door handle stayed in unlock position while in the drive mode. Kept on hearing a grinding noise. Noticed the door handle was popped open. When placed in park, the door just pops open. It happened like this more than once. Then water moisture built up between the two doors. I called service and no one responded until a week past. Then it was too late and drove it to where I bought the car. No service manager or store manager on duty. Dropped off my car and they called me in a day that the car was ready. Not happy with car. Still have to pick it up and inspect it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Tesla style Navigation for Mustang 2016 – Very cool, intelligent GPS navigation, and big screen for enjoying movie. Much more luxurious than other navigation. Android 6.0 system and use wifi, it looks like a small iPad, but can also calling and navigating and back view. Very nice. Good!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Tesla has the worst customer service I have ever experienced when it comes to cars. The few Tesla stores they have in Atlanta or its suburbs is only about selling their car but little help thereafter. Incompetent roadside service for emergency. The car does not even give the projected miles. It only gives 60 or at best 75 percent of the projected miles.

Superchargers are not readily available as they say when they sell the car. In remote areas you are lucky if you can find a regular Tesla charger that will take 8 hrs to fully charge your car. You have to be very careful with your mileage if planning long distance drive. I ordered online a touch up paint for a scratch on the door. They charged me right away online for the order but no word on the order or product even after a week.

I emailed them to check on the order twice but did not get a reply. I called them a few times to see if someone can help me for my online order but they kept transferring me from one person to another- ultimately to a voicemail that was full or to leave a message that no one calls you back on. I would not buy Tesla again and do not recommend it either unless they improve on their customer service and car mileage!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Purchased the Model X at the end of last year. Was a mistake getting the car, because the autopilot is a hazard to all drivers on the road, not just Tesla drivers. It has swerved in and out of lanes for no reason, slowed down abruptly for no reason, can't drive in a straight path on a straight road which causes car/motion sickness even for the driver, and the damn doors just don't operate properly.

Consumers are being used as data collection lab rats for autopilot. Tesla is not ready for public use of autopilot (AP), which is why their version of AP is "beta." If this is the case, consumers should NOT be charged for AP. There is no software or product that collects money for "beta" versions. Additionally, it should be deemed unsafe for public use until the FULL version is ready and available. I just hope no one dies from using AP. Then maybe, Elon will finally realize that no amount of money was worth saving to stop using Mobileye. What makes it worse is when the service rep is a complete ** who doesn't look to solve problems and instead wants to argue with you. Don in Buena Park is that guy, and he shouldn't have a job in any service related field. I wish nothing but hell for that guy as that's how he's treated me and that's the type of person he is.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I am disappointed that my 2015 Model S 70D does not stop on its own when it detects front end collision possibility. It just warns you with a dashboard STOP flashing. My Tesla does not have the drive itself option, but I feel this is a small piece of updating that should be standard. I have a 2017 Lexus RX 350 and it does stop on its own when I drive in the garage too close to something in front of it - standard safety feature. Sorry Tesla. Need to catch up.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I leased a Tesla S 60 2 months ago but before I picked it up they added new deal for less, they upgraded to 75 battery and included a glass roof and auto tailgate lift free. So I tried to cancel my order which by law was ok. So I told them to just upgrade to a 75 battery that was already in my care and mechanic said it would take only 5 minutes but Tesla said no. I said that all I want is a battery that is already in car. I emailed 5 big people in Tesla including Elon Musk they never responded and so called and then and they were very rude to me and said no, I AM VERY UNHAPPY so I will leave Tesla ASAP. Tesla needs to treat people much better.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I had Tesla P90D. I totaled it out doing 20 mph. The Battery is completely unprotected. Anything on the road will destroy the battery. They cost $45000.00 for the battery alone. They are complete ** and will not take my calls now. ** TESLA. The world needs to know!!!

Original review: June 2, 2017

$130000 car selling place looking like a used car dealership. Service/delivery/showroom/waiting - all are area in the same shabby tiny area with very limited seating. Limited car parking. Delivered me a model X car with white discolored spots on all four plastic trims over tire. Service manager told me, "would replace them." When took my car there today- they lied. They said, "would polish them." Denied and said, "never said to replace them." I was very upset about that. Then I was told it was known issue and the plastic trims were back-ordered. Agreed to replace them when available. This Tesla Dealership address is 4651 Dyer Blvd, Riviera Beach, FL 33407. All knows this is a high crime dangerous area. Just driving fully charge car to Miami from West Palm Beach (about 75 miles) to attend a wedding reception depleted all the charge and could not drive back home before finding a super charge station 25 miles away in the middle of the night.

At the start point, it was fully charged showing 185 miles driving distance. This $130000 car is still in primitive phase, not in the luxury range at all. It has a fancy looking extra large Galaxy Tab mounted on dash. Regular Sunpass will not work, you need to buy a special transponder which needed to be drilled in the front license plate area. If you have issues with sunlight (migraine, sensitive skin) - do not buy this car. Sunshade (sun visor) is a joke. In the rain rear camera floods with water and you will not see anything. Making charging arrangement in my home costed me over $3000. I do not know how expensive the repair cost would be when warranty would expire. Just a piece of pricey toy I bought. I regret.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I am coming up on a year anniversary with the vehicle. Meaning a year without gas stations. The delight has still not worn off of being inside this machine. You appreciate it more when you are in other vehicles, and then go back to your non existent transmission. The smoothness, the velocity, the quiet operation, all to be missed. As is the entire notion of the car of the future. 17" touch screen will always make you feel like James Bond. Literally. The door handles that greet you when you walk up to it. The fact you can get out of the car and it will park itself for you.

Electric vehicles, have virtually no maintenance. This makes their reliability, paramount. As if this was not enough, that mere legend behind Tesla alone will be. A new automaker, that produces sustainable, clean energy, zero emission vessels. Not having a tail pipe belching filth into our atmosphere that can/will kill us is the number one point of understanding. This company not only made history in its short span already, but it will continue to rewrite and light the future for us to be brighter. Tesla is nothing short of incredible, and something to be experienced.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Model X headrest is electric and cannot be adjusted by the user. When seat is back The headrest is at its highest. When seat is forward headrest is that its lowest. I plan to ask Tesla to disconnect the electric. The reason is that passengers in the second row seats are completely blocked in by the headrest practically reaching the ceiling. Very unsatisfactory.

I spoke with at least 3 T advisers to tell them I had no icon for an a.m. radio station. They suggested I bring it in for repair. I scheduled the repair and that adviser said there is no a.m. radio available on the Tesla Model X. I found it interesting that they're only advisers did not get the training to even know there is no a.m. available. The reason they gave is it causes static. The driver side window is scored by something touching it down in the door panel. Tesla will replace the window if I bring it in the 28 mile trip I must make from my town to the nearest repair location.

Original review: April 6, 2017

It's worse than you can possibly imagine... I've owned a Tesla for 3 months and was hit going about 2 mph - scratched the front bumper and wheel and tire went flat. My good friend owns an auto body shop and has done my car repairs for 3 cars for 15 years. But, I learned that I have to use "Tesla Approved" and can't use him anymore. Tesla Centinela connected me to DC Autocraft. I asked for an estimate. They said they couldn't, as they had tow charges (tire flat), costs of storage, and other charges. I texted them notifying them that I'd pay for tow if they provided an estimate. They agreed. It's been two weeks, I still don't have an estimate but they're indicating that it would be more than $10,000 to fix - crazy ripoff.

So, I began to dig in. I spoke to my Allstate agent and filed a claim (never had filed a claim on any car in 37 years of driving). The Allstate adjuster said that Tesla's are a big problem. The lowest estimate that he'd approved is $7,000 and it takes weeks or months more to fix a Tesla - the "approved" body shops are all backed up and have no parts. DC Autocraft took a check from Allstate (something like $5,500), but DC Autocraft continues to ignore my approval. Now, they indicate that the repairs won't be done for weeks and the supplement is over $10,000. I asked for list of parts being used, it's virtually nothing - wheel and tire ($550 combined - I checked), a sensor ($30) and some body work.

In addition to the lack of service (DC doesn't have the parts, no one communicates with transparency), I feel (don't have proof) that there is corruption between Tesla and, at least, one of their "approved" auto body repair shops. To prepare for electric, I've spent $8,000 rewiring my house, putting in a Wall connector and getting ready to put in $70,000 of Tesla solar panels. After this experience, I'm selling this Tesla and getting a real car on which I can depend - not a toy. Disappointed Soon To Be Former Tesla Owner.

Original review: March 31, 2017

We got the delivery of Model X yesterday. The process from ordering to delivery was quite smooth, they cooperated with us. Good Point: No Bargains means one price for all. Car runs great. When we placed order it we were showed white leather type perforated seats and we chose the same and selected them BUT Discrepancy in the order: upon delivery they mention now it is part of the premium package and also discontinued, which was not inform to us and there wasn't any price adjustment.

Car was incomplete: My family, obviously kids were so excited so we took the delivery but did record our concern. First drive to home, car was pulling towards left and I order with the Tow Package which was not installed and now I have to take appointment with service center and get it done. Software Issues: Autopilot was not working due to software upgrade and driver door was not able to open due to software issue that was told my Representative Mr. Michell and Mr. James. Hopefully it will be fixed after software upgrade.

Original review: March 9, 2017

Model S - Prior to the purchase - I thought I had done all my homework. But after recently reading and viewing photos of some Tesla vehicles in minor accidents -- I now realize that the car is anything but durable as so many posters unknowingly here refer to it as. Durable means strong and long-lasting. What they don't know is that the chassis is made of Aluminum, which is very light weight compared to Steel, (outdoor painted aluminium will eventually fade) and when your vehicle hits or is hit by something, even a very minor rear-end tap may cause the liftgate, liftgate window, both rear panels and the bumper to crumple into an awesome mess, which is extremely costly to repair.

And since Tesla makes their own parts, and is busy making the parts to meet their new delivery numbers - a simple 1 month accident repair with another car -- can and does take up to 6 months for Tesla to supply the parts to their own authorized Body Shops; you can only use their authorized Body Shop. So now I'm more worried than the average person of becoming involved in an accident. And that takes all the fun of owning a Tesla.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I have purchased a total of 4 Tesla's (3 Model S and one model X), after the first car the sales support has become a nightmare. They don't give a crap about fixing your problems. Example... one week after we got the Model X the window was leaking. We called them and they gave us a date ONE MONTH later to bring our car. After me talking to the management they finally moved the date.

I just bought a P100D three months ago, they messed up on the price of the Auto Pilot, four week after we took delivery they called and informed me that I owed them money and if I don't pay it they will remotely remove the feature... which would be a safety issue. There was no remorse from any of their employees. I even talked with the District Manager. Their basic response was... "screw you. We don't care if you are a customer, pay the $ or we will shut off the feature." Mind you I paid them whatever they wanted at the time of delivery.

Additionally, we paid for the additional $8600 two weeks ago, we called them today to inquire why our number plates had not arrived and their answer "We did not submit your registration until you paid the additional $8600 for the auto pilot. WTF!!! I paid them over $120,000 and they held the registration hostage. These people are ** thugs. DO NOT BUY A TESLA FROM COSTA MESA. THEY WILL SCREW YOU!!! These people are arrogant and treat you like CRAP once you buy the car. I WILL NEVER BUY A TESLA AGAIN.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Tesla is great when you want to purchase a car. They will even roll out the red carpet for you!! But once it is damaged there seems to be no accountability and everyone passes on the buck. Good luck getting any help when you need the help. Our car was damaged in an accident (I fully believe it was a car malfunction versus "driver error" even though they refuse to accept responsibility) and has been in one of their approved auto body shop for over a month and a half for repairs. The auto body shop says they have received 2 parts so far and hasn't started work.

I call the service center repeatedly and each time answered by new people and looking over the requested parts guide for the first time. I hear yesterday that they were able to source all but 2 parts and yet no one has an answer as to why it never reached the workshop for over a month. We are not only paying money on it while it sits in the garage waiting for parts but also for a rental car and medical bills as a result of the accident. Thanks Tesla for NO help!!! We were all for Tesla but not anymore. I pray that none of you have any problems with your TESLA but if you do good luck getting any help from them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

I have a 2015 Model S and have been waiting 6 weeks for Tesla to send the parts to repair the car (which are only number parts). Tesla reports that it will be at lease another 2 weeks. I could have ordered a new car in that period of time. I have read other posts with the same issue. This has really scarred what has been an otherwise good experience.

Updated on 12/08/2016: I just over a month ago on the problems you may encounter when you attempt to repair your Tesla. At that time I had been waiting 6 weeks for the parts to repair my front bumper. It has now been over 10 weeks. The shop informed me that they were only waiting for the spoiler for the front bumper over a month ago, it has still not arrived. I called and left messages with Tesla and received absolutely no response. I emailed Tesla and received no response. The odd thing is, I could have ordered and received a brand new Tesla Model S by now so obviously this is a very real service problem Tesla needs to correct.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

I had an accident with my Tesla Model S about 2 months ago and to date still have no car. Tesla cannot get parts for it and no one from the corporate office can resolve. Personnel do not even call back and I am still paying a lot of money for a vehicle I cannot use. How would you feel?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

The speed gas mileage is not as good as I thought it would be. Other than that I love it. Is good car and drive it everywhere. I would buy it again. Good car that last forever and family can all fit, and have room also. Good gas mileage is the most important. I love a good car that fits my needs to travel. Radio and comfy sitting in the car. WiFi is nice in a car for traveling. DVD player are awesome for the long car trip with a baby and the family. Me and my family travel everywhere all summer. We go to concerts and other long trips, and also always need to get around in the day to shop. Cars are important to the family and doctor's appointment... are important in life.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Absolutely reliable, saves so much money, requires so little upkeep, very quiet, has honestly long since paid for itself. My husband is hardly careful with it but nevertheless we haven't had any issues. Met and even exceeded all expectations. I was worried that it was too different from anything I'd had before and would carry its own set of problems, but other than the expected power trade offs, everything has been smooth sailing. Gorgeous, you feel like an astronaut in a spaceship. Sleek, stylish, unique, draws everyone's attention. You really feel like you're in a whole other world, in the future. As I said before, the money saved has already made the additional cost worth it. When you consider the massive decrease in small particulate matter it's even more worth it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I had other cars but this one is top of the line. I'm talking omg good. It is quality and I'm talking great. You can tell it gonna last just by the look and feel. This car drives so well. I'm not a get in my car and go fast kinda guy but car makes me feel like I wanna be. I love how it pick up and it so smooth. The sleekness of this car is like future sleek. I'm talking I love how this car is designed in and out. I got it in the exact color I want and like I said inside and out. The price was great for the quality of car. This is you get a great deal and the options are great too. I know you think it like all companies but you really get looked out for here.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Very durable compared to others in its class. Can handle the workload of any job that is thrown at it. Very rarely breaks down. It can handle small jobs and large as easy as pie. Performs significantly better than the competition. No job is too large. Very rarely do you have any technical issues. The final product is of the highest quality for its class. Its appearance is exceptional. It fits in with any setting. Many times you don't even know it is there. Expertly made to blend in well in its surroundings. Excellent value compared to the competition. The price is right on point for what you get elsewhere, but this has more muscle and looks better than the competition.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

It was a very positive buying experience. Thus far, the car has held up quite well. Tesla makes a very fast and performance savvy car. It performs better than a BMW or Mercedes. Tesla is known for its quality and unique look. It is unlike any other. You cannot compare it to another brand. I would recommend Tesla, but it's not cheap by any means. Buying experience was good and positive, but this is not a car for the average man. Price tag isn't cheap.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

This car was made to last and I haven't had any problems with it since I bought it last year. The car doesn't have engine problems and I feel that in the long run it will actually save me money even though it was an expensive purchase and investment. The car performs so well. I am very pleased with it and many people are jealous of the car and my experience with it. The engine is amazing and the interior of the car is beautiful. I am scared it will eventually get messed up due to wear and tear but I love it.

This car is so sleek looking and looks as expensive as it is. The leather is beautiful and the car smells amazing. It has smelled brand new for a long time. Everything looks high end and expensive in the car. I feel as though I am sitting in the lap of luxury. In the long run this car will be a good value. However it was a huge investment and I had to carefully think about if my decision was worth it. I just hope the car is dependable and lasts for a long time like it has up to this point.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

The best brand for my car. Very efficient and top of the line. I couldn't see myself using anything else. Long lasting product and the durability is the best of its kind. The performance is excellent and I'm glad I chose this product. The best there is out there. It goes very well with what I was looking for and much more. The performance and appearance is very professional and is rich in quality. The product matches the brand and is worth every penny. I could not have asked for anything else. The value is way less than I thought I would have to pay for. It is very affordable and convenient for what I had been looking for all this time.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I own a body shop in Arvada, CO. A repeat customer brought in his 2013 Model S to repair a scrape on his front bumper. We repaired the damage, but when it came to ordering the 3 small parts we needed for the vehicle the service department would not return our calls. They seem to be telling their customers that only their service centers can repair their vehicles and are making it impossible for my business to buy their parts. I know that it is illegal for an insurance company to tell you where to have your car repaired, they call it "steering". Allowing only Tesla repair centers to repair their vehicles is a type of "steering" and is not a good thing for the consumer. It promotes price gouging and is unfair to other businesses.

I do not know what to do. We will charge our customer for the painting we did and give him his car back in pieces to take to a Tesla center. The one center located here in Colorado does not do auto body and paint. So I guess he will have to ship it out of state. That is not the customer service I want to provide to my customers. Tesla should be ashamed!! I can reach a live person if I want to buy a car, but not if I need to purchase parts. Tesla buyers beware!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I find the durability to be wonderful. It's very durable. I have hit it by a mistake and it didn't even scratch. What a wonderful today to have the innovation we have now. Works amazing. You should feel it. How amazing the ride is. Nice, peaceful, smooth. You truly couldn't ask for anything more. Anything!! What a beauty!! Definitely top notch in the looks department. Something that people will look at and be like... "Woah. I want one of those!!" I find the value to be outstanding. Obviously a little on the pricey side. But you pay for what you want!! This to me is absolutely worth it. It's worth your money.

Tesla Motors Company Information