Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Tesla

Tesla
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.40/5

Tesla Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Ordering my Model 3 was exciting, and I felt in control for most of the process. I felt the initial customer service person was excellent... very respectful and seemingly knowledgeable. Then a week before our agreed upon delivery date, I got a call from a pushy inventory guy in Portland (the car had to be shipped there first). He said they will deliver it the next day. This would have been great had it not been that I was out of town for another five days (they knew that). They wanted me to change my plans so they could get it off their lot was the reason I was told. It's a long story, but luckily my wife was able to be home from work to receive the car two days later.

The option of delivery for our area is a wonderful thing, and was a huge relief even though things that I was told would happen didn't actually happen: 1. The driver didn't call to say his arrival time. 2. No registration documents included with car. 3. No bill of lading from the driver. 4. No instruction by the driver on how my wife could drive it if necessary, but nicely, he drove it inside the garage for us. When I got home, I emailed the other customer service guy in Portland and explained our dismay with the delivery process, and asked for the registration documents. He seemed empathetic.

The DMV registration process worked out fine. One little note: do not stick the temporary registration over the defogger elements on back window. In conclusion, I love my car (no gas, quiet, comfortable, high-tech, hauls ass, helping people breathe easier). However, there is a lot to learn... read Tesla's website, watch YouTube tutorials by them and Tesla owners, and see if you get rebates/tax credits. The latest thing I'm doing is getting a ceramic coating on the exterior (the original finish seems soft and scuffs too easily).

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have just picked up my new Model3 from the dealer. The entire precess has been amazing and flawless. However when I got home one of the first things I tried to do was program my garage door opener. After considerable time online with Tesla I was informed that I need to spend $300 to purchase an additional add on and to add insult to injury this has to be installed by Tesla at their service center.

This has soured my entire experience. How can you sell a $50,000 vehicle with all the most amazing technology but without the ability to open your garage when you get home? The salesperson did not even mention this or offer it to me when i purchased the car. So in addition to the $300 garage door opener I need to waste two hours of my valuable time taking the car back to Tesla.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Tesla Model X, more Maglev than a Car. I live in France and our Model X is my 23rd car as our large family always had multiple cars. I initially did not want to buy a Tesla because of (-) media coverage and Musk's various unprofessional comments. I ordered a Volvo XC90 hybrid that Volvo failed to deliver on time so having multiple kids we desperately needed a family vehicle. I had test-driven most 7 seaters including Citroen C4 Picasso, Ford S-Max, Renault Espace/Grand Scenic. Having owned a 7 seater LR Discovery in a different country and not liking this car, I went to the Tesla showroom as a last resort and took a test drive because ... I had nothing to lose.

The test drive dropped my jaw as the Model X was simply fantastic so we ordered one. I had multiple questions and some worries about buying an electric car such as the charging concept and whether Tesla would be a reliable car. Thus I first bought a used Ford S-Max as a backup/utility car that our gardener also drives around and afterwards I ordered a Model X. I would rather prefer to buy a used Model X but I could not find any reasonably priced Model Xs, all were rather expensive indicating a significant demand. My Model X was delivered in Aix-en-Provence on 27 September so the car is still pretty much new. My review is limited to the first two months of ownership and it is not a long term, multi-year review. I would gladly rank my Model X much higher than any cars I have owned. My rating would be 20 out of 10.

The car is astonishing. Let me tell you why:

1. The design philosophy is totally original so the interior but especially the front panel is super coolly designed. The car is probably the best ever UX design among any car, any time. I would definitely rate my Model X as the "Best vehicle UX design of all-times".

2. The car has far superior performance and range. I was worried about how and where to get the car recharged and so on but these have been no issues. The driving is super cool, silent and feels like you are floating. This car is so advanced that I feel I have my own silent, super fast and comfortable "magnetic levitation" maglev train. I often see Bentleys and Rolls Royce's in Cannes and I feel sad for the owners for spending so much money into those dinosaur vehicles.

3. Tesla has no dealers and you buy directly from the company. There is no haggling or the act of being sold unnecessary accessories at high costs.

4. As you probably know, Tesla cars are awarded the highest safety ratings of any cars, ever built. In France, it is legal to use autosteer on highways and I regularly use this feature with my kids in the car. No one has ever honked at me so far. It has been almost perfect. The autosteering once made an error on the safe side. It braked slightly when I saw no need for it. Autosteering is great not only at high speeds but especially during very slow traffic.

5. The car is expected to have much less maintenance work than ICE cars. Time will show.

6. Tesla has given me good after-sales support. They called me directly to ask if all was fine and I could reach them directly if I have any needs.

7. If you love even a bit of tech, Tesla will make you so happy. The car is tech-wise perfect and offers multiple jaw-dropping features. I have a pin code so my kids can’t accidentally drive the car. If I lose my key, I can start the car with my mobile phone. I can choose how many amperes to charge my car with. The car even has a ‘biological attack protection feature’ explained on its website. Tesla says Model X is “hundreds of times better” than other cars in terms of its ventilation system so they were curious if the car would protect against a military biological attack. So they test it and found that it really does due to the super quality ventilation system. Your Tesla can open and close its doors without you touching them… if you want. This car is the epitome of tech and still it succeeds in giving you a perfectly usable UX with so easy menus. There is so much offered tech wise with zero frustration.

My Model X is two-generations ahead of any other vehicles including my old 2017 Land Rover Discovery. One extra remark, we did not have any problems but still feel a bit cautious about the falcon doors that are rather easy to use especially in tight spaces. Many public garages in France have low ceilings so it is not very easy to use these doors. My overall two-month experience has been fabulous. I have one simple suggestion to potential owners: Have your own test drive and see for yourself. Be cautious with the media coverage. I am grateful to Volvo for delaying their delivery by two months and making me a Tesla owner. Thank you all at Tesla, you have literally created the future of the automobile. Just for information purposes, Tesla has no automobile competitors. Its next target should be to beat the MagLev train :-)

Original review: May 3, 2019

We just bought a Tesla Model 3 by delivery service to our home. However, the person who delivered the car was so rush and did not help us much to know the car's function. On the second day, we decided to drive the car to the Tesla Centre in Dublin CA, because there was charging problem with our exist home charging system, and many questions about auto parking and auto driving etc. Fortunately, we met Suzanne in the sale department of centre. She was very warm and tried hard to solve the charging problem, and also patiently show us how to use the auto parking functions and to teach us the auto driving on freeway. Previously, we read many negative reviews about Tesla service. Thus, we did not expect such helpful person in the Tesla Centre. I would not hesitate to recommend my friends to buy Tesla from the Dublin Centre in the future.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Purchase process was a breeze. Ever since then the car has been getting better and better. Every couple weeks there's a new feature out that makes the car even better than before. Have not have any quality or reliability issues. You're getting a lot for what you pay. If you're going to complain about a 1 mill difference in panel gaps, then go buy a Mercedes. But if you want the most fun to drive car with the coolest tech imaginable, then Tesla is for you. You don't realize you need it until you are in one and then it's game over. No other car comes close. It feels like it's from the future. Just smarter, faster and more convenient than any car I've driven before. While also being the cheapest to operate and maintain. It's been almost a year now and we've spent $0 on maintenance. Also, we estimate our electricity cost is 1/3 of what gas would cost for the same miles driven.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla, Inc.?

Original review: March 11, 2020

Alliant is the finance company that the Tesla order form takes you to. They require a huge amount of documents which most of us can do. Tax returns, Personnel Financial statements, Utility bills, driver's license etc. The problem is they have to have our Social Security Card! I haven't used the card in 50 years, They will not take a birth certificate, medicare card or ANYTHING but that card. The Social Security office takes 2-3 weeks to get a duplicate card. In the wait time Tesla wouldn't hold the custom ordered Model X that had come in. Can't believe Tesla won't sell a new $100K car because of a ss card.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Since December of 2019, my 2015 Tesla Model S has been mostly sitting broken. First a little bit of snow popped out the wheel liner exposing all of the internals of the car, Tesla was pretty quick to get this fixed. Then the 12v died; nearly two months of scheduling appointments, having Tesla not bother to show up, reschedule, repeat, over and over and over and over again.

Now, the center console died. The roadside people said to take it in to a local service center before it dies and needs to be flat-towed. We took it in, the people in the back made comments about another center console dying after the 12v battery went (so this is going to be an extremely expensive fix due to some known problem Tesla has and has done nothing about?).

The repair center said they would call us on Tuesday. Tuesday has come and gone, and no word from Tesla. Attempts to call them results in "use our app to schedule appointments." Attempts to leave a message for the service center result in either NO RESPONSE back, or a message about the voice mailbox not accepting calls.

Sending e-mail results in, "I'm in sales, not service." So we're SOL. No car, no way of getting it back from Tesla, no way of getting ahold of Tesla, no idea when or if it'll ever be fixed, no idea how much they much charge us for any of this. Nothing. No car is worth this hassle. Clearly Tesla is not ready for prime time! Simply answering the phone and answering a question would be a fantastic first step, but instead you get NOTHING. You get a car that you cannot drive, no idea if it can be fixed, and no idea how to even get it back. Terrible!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

There is essentially no way to talk to a person when you have an issue with your Tesla. Mine is 18 months old, and if I have an issue (like a warning message that affects the power train), my only option is to schedule service. At that point, you get sparse text messages that are days apart and don't answer your questions. If you live hours away from a service center (since there's so few of them), you'll just have to risk taking off a day from work and hope that they fully understand the issue and have the parts.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I got an alert to replace the small 12 V Battery. Took the first available appointment using Tesla App (which is the only option), got an appointment or a date week later 02/05/2020- 11.30 am. It was a Wednesday, I took off from work, Wednesday morning I received a text saying your appointment is rescheduled on 02/28/2020 - since they did not have batteries in stock. I took mobile service appointment for 02/12/2020, again Wednesday, I took off from work, I got another message that the appointment has to be rescheduled, with no future date. All this time I am renting a car because of the alert. All my gas savings is gone in car rental. I asked the tech, whether I can drive the car, he said usually there is no issues for a month or 2 but do not drive below 20% charge, I am stuck with this situation. I would not recommend to buy Tesla, they have parts and after sales service issues.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

My wife leased her Tesla Model S for 36 months. For 9 of those 36 months she experience a recurring problem. The main display would fail causing the air conditioning, radio etc to not function. During this time, the vehicle was brought in for this same problem 8 times. We live in Arizona and on two occasions this problem occurred during the summer when the temperature was over 105 degrees. My wife is a top Realtor in Arizona and on one of these two occasions she had clients in the car. That was enough for her, she vowed to get a different vehicle once the lease was terminated.

The week before our lease termination we purchased brand new tires and had the car detailed. Our final invoice charged us $1,654 for mileage consumed over the lease amount. I contacted Tesla Finance to get some relief on the over mileage charges and was told that's a Service Department problem not a Finance Department problem. Hmmmm. Seems to me they are the same company. The Finance and Service personnel were all very pleasant but it's frustrating to have to deal with software glitches with no compensation for the customer's time and inconvenience.

Had these problems occured within the first six months of the lease, the lemon laws would have applied and we would have been entitled to a new vehicle. Unfortunately they happened in the second year of the lease. As vehicles contain more and more software, which gets routinely over time, the lemon laws will need to be adjusted to account for bugs in software releases to provide the consumer with effective protection.

Tesla Company Information