2. Automotive

Tesla

3.9/5 (449 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Tesla

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Tesla Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla, Inc.?

Original review: June 26, 2021

Excellent customer experience. Smooth installation. Very happy with the professionalism of the onsite staff. Finished their work within a day for a complex installation. Would recommend to others without a doubt.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I had issues with my Tesla Wall Charger and had previously called twice for assistance and neither one resolved my issue. I called a third time and spoke to Hannah. From the second she answered the phone I knew she was eager to help. She went through the notes that were written from my previous calls and told me we were going to get everything taken care of that evening. And guess what, she did. After being placed on hold for a brief minute, she came back with what I needed to do to take care of my problem. After a few minutes I received a confirmation e-mail that my replacement was being sent. It was such a pleasure to speak to someone that I could not only understand perfectly, but was knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I was lucky enough to purchase a 2019 S Modal Tesla and though I often dreamed that I would live long enough to see a society progress to imitate the Jetsons Tesla has come very close to achieving my dream, what a car!!!

Original review: July 27, 2021

As my lease was coming to an end I was eager to get into a Tesla model Y, the perfect SUV in my eyes. I went forward and did my research. Finally, I went on their site and placed the order for the car. I spoke to an online representative that guided me through the process. Although there was an incentive to the car which was coming from the state I reside in the representative reassured me I qualified for about $2500 in incentives. To me it was like music to my ears, I placed the order that night. Two days later I received a call from my sales representative now telling me about my order and that I should apply to the Tesla finance to see where I stand as far as credit line and monthly payment. They ran my credit and I got approved.

She then tells me that if the vehicle is under a certain price I would get the $2000 incentive and also $500, so I did as she said. When the lease agreement came in none of what we spoke about was there. I then wrote her an email and she said she'll look into it. Since that day I haven't heard anything from her. I tried to go online and chat with another tesla representative and he gave me the same information in regards to the $2000 incentive, assuring me that yes I do qualify and that it will all show in my contract. I then received a call from a manager and he also told me the exact same thing.

So at this point I feel like I was sold a dream. The customer service is terrible. It's been a month since I've heard from my sales representative. I then finally get to schedule a test drive with a model Y to get the feel for the car. Entering the Manhasset Tesla was so dull of an experience. They took some information gave me the keys and said be back at this time. When I got back from the test drive with my wife we arrived about 10 mins earlier than what we was given because we had questions about the car. As soon as we arrived they rushed us out of the car and started to enter the building not answering any questions. This whole entire experience has been quite unpleasant. I'm starting to regret ordering this car.

Original review: July 21, 2021

We bought our model x in 2016. As soon as the warranty was up in 2019 the car seemed to fall apart. The backseat winged doors stopped shutting properly and I was told there was no fix, that the doors sometimes didn’t close properly in hot weather!!! Then the door handle on the driver’s side door started malfunctioning and when you press the handle it takes about 30 seconds for the door to open. I was told this was a $800 fix. Then the driver's side window stopped working and would get stuck down. I had this repaired for $300 and since then have had Tesla back 4 times to repair the same problem. The latest issue has been with the air conditioner in the car. If the temp outside reaches 95 or above the ac only blows hot air. I took it in to be repaired and found out I need a new compressor for $1,400. So I would think twice about this purchase.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I visited the Sunnyvale location twice with my parents to purchase a Model Y. First time we went there to test drive a the Y and 3. Steve helped us out and was polite and incredibly helpful. We came back a week later to place an order with Steve since he had helped us out the first time and we wanted to make sure he got credit. We then asked him to enter a referral code to ensure we got the free 1,000 free supercharging miles. After we received the car about 2 months later, we learned that the referral code was never entered on our behalf even though we were ensured the referral code was entered. Since we placed the order in person, we didn't have any documentation that we requested the referral to be added prior to delivery.

Avoid this place at all cost. Do a test drive, and order at home. Incredibly disappointed with Steve and his team. Hopefully others can learn a lesson from our mistake and make sure to enter the referral code yourself using the link provided by the referrer. My trust in Tesla has definitely diminished. Especially given sales advisors are impossible to reach after you place an order and build quality isn't the greatest. Thanks Steve and Sunnyvale Tesla for ruining our experience.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I ordered my Tesla at the end of April 2021. I was told that I would take 6 to 8 weeks for me to get my vehicle. I’m at the end of June and I receive an email, with contracts, insurance purchased, and extras purchased, all 2 days prior to my arrival date. I signed papers, I got a Vin number and the number of miles (15) on my odometer. The night before my car is supposed to be delivered I get a phone call telling me that my car will not be arriving and they have no explanation as to why. I sold my own car that same day thinking I was going to have a new car the next day and now that car is not arriving as stated in the contract. I have no way to get to work and does Tesla care? No. They even stated that they do not have any idea when I will see my Tesla. They said it could take another 9 to 13 weeks before I get a car.

This is all at the end of a very bad relationship. To begin with my representative never calls me back, the insurance quote I got before I received the Vin number was about $200 more than originally quoted and truly I wish I didn’t enter this relationship with them. Now I am stuck with no car, and no delivery in sight. I truly just don’t understand why they can’t offer me a valid explanation as to what happened to the exact car that I purchased insurance on that had a Vin number and a mileage count on it and now it’s suddenly disappeared and they cannot explain to me why. It’s just not acceptable and I have no words to describe how helpless it feels to be sitting at my end right now.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Tesla has a serious communication problem. My project manager got changed, and I cannot get a hold of him or her. Scheduled for installation on Thur and Fri, and they couldn't finish the project due to poor planning. A supervisor was supposed to text me for a following-up. I never received a phone call or text message when I called Tesla; I was told that they schedule themselves on Fri without communicating with me. Very bad communication, and I do not recommend it.

Original review: June 23, 2021

We bought a Model X 2020 brand new. We noticed rattling when driving a few months later and took the car to Tesla dealership. They blew us off and said there was nothing wrong. The problem got worse and we then noticed the car pulling badly to the right. I had to use both hands on the wheel to center the car on the road. Checked the tire pressure and all ok. Tried to make an appointment to take the car in and they wouldn’t accept it until they did their own diagnostics over the air. You can’t talk to a human on the phone. Only text through Tesla app. It took 4 weeks to finally getting an appointment and we stopped driving the car since it felt incredibly unsafe with excessive rattling and pulling to the right. Basically had the car in the garage for 4 weeks waiting for an appointment. Tesla dealer is an hour and a half from our house and to get there you have to get on I-4 which is a crazy dangerous Interstate very busy and a ton of construction.

On the day of appointment I drove the car to the dealership and half way there on I-4 I get a red alert “stop the vehicle and pull over“. I’m surrounded by 18 wheelers and managed to get off the road and the front passenger tire had blown out. The car only had 24K miles on it and those were original tires. Had the car towed to the dealership. They texted and said the front tires were bad and back tires were good and the car is ready. We texted back and asked about the rattling. They tried every way possible to convince us that there was not a problem and to come and get the car. We finally texted that if the car rattles we won’t take it back. They then looked and texted that axle in front was bad and was replaced and the car is ready. We again asked whether rattling was gone and they said not completely but it’s better. Again told them that we won’t pick the car up until rattling is gone.

They then texted back and said some sensors for speed had to get replaced and they have ordered them but it’ll be a couple of days. The next day they texted and said good news: it wasn’t the speed tester. It was something else that we didn’t need a part for and the car is now ready. I’m writing this on the day going to pick the car up, but am nervous as hell whether the car is actually safe to drive. Never going to buy another Tesla and may actually trade this one in if we can.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I did a $100 deposit for a Model X in February, early March with a delivery date of 6 to 8 weeks. I expected to get my by the end of April.... Maybe mid May. It is almost the end of June and I have yet to get my car. I requested my $100 refund since Tesla was not able to deliver the car and they have no clue when they will able to do so. Both Matt and Andrew from the Boca Raton site told me that I will not get that money back because they will eventually deliver a car to me. Just imagine, if Tesla gets $100 from a million customers and does not deliver any of those cars, that is $100 million dollars they get to keep in their pocket.... Why would they need to sell anything? Also, why should I wait indefinitely for a car that was promised within 6 to 8 weeks? If they do not have a car available at the time of purchase, I would not recommend purchasing anything from Tesla.... Buyers Beware!

Original review: June 21, 2021

I purchased Tesla Model X earlier in 2021 with the expected delivery date of March 2021. In March the delivery was pushed back to June. I contact Tesla and the representative, Mario, told me that for sure, it will be June. I told him that I have a rental car and this is not cost effective, if they delay further and I have abide by my contract, and Tesla has not. Now, it is June and the delivery date is pushed back to October. I contacted Tesla three times. I was told that someone will reach out to me within 24 hours and no one has.

On Saturday June 19, I contacted Tesla again and someone named Ashley from Houston talked to me and assured me that she will call me back. Today, is June 21st and again, no one has called. I e-mailed Tesla support staff early in June and today, I received an e-mail that my deposit is non-refundable, even though the car is not available. I am supposed to stay put and pay for the rental car and pay 100K for a car that I do not know when it will deliver to me. I advise people, not to purchase Tesla and go for other EV that are more reliable. For 100K, you can get any car that they will even roll out red carpet.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I am leaving this review in hopes that I can prevent anyone considering a Tesla from purchasing their product. My husband was BADLY BURNED when his Tesla charger BURST INTO FLAMES! On May 31st at around 3:30am, I was searching the house for my cat and when I couldn't find her, I decided to open up the door to the garage just in case she might have gotten out there. That's when I discovered that my husband's Tesla charger that was plugged into the wall was on fire! The flames were licking the wall and I was afraid a spark would fall and set the boxes that we had on the floor aflame.

I ran and got my husband who hurriedly removed the charger from where it was plugged into the wall and beat the flames out with a shoe. Unfortunately, when he grabbed the charger, some of the molten plastic from it got splattered onto his hand, giving him painful 2nd degree burns that required a trip to the emergency room and a burn specialist. He will be out of work for 2-3 weeks as a result of this injury.

We had a licensed electrician come to the house afterwards to make sure the electrical system was okay (which it was). Upon seeing the charger, he told us that the adapter on the charger (an original Tesla product) was a 60 amp but the cord it goes with (also an original Tesla product) was only a 20 amp cord. He said that this setup was inherently unsafe because the incompatibility can easily cause fires such as the one that occurred. Whether this was the true reason for the fire or if it was simply the internal components of this particular charger being faulty, either way it should not have burst into flames from normal use. I shudder to think of what may have happened if I had not been awake at that early hour looking for my cat. My mother and husband were upstairs, sound asleep. Our house could have caught on fire and we could have been badly injured or even burnt to death.

My husband and I went to Tesla that Thursday (June 3rd around noon) to talk to someone about what happened and to get some answers. We were hoping that they would make things right by helping us get our wall fixed, providing us with a safer charger and/or compensating my husband for 2-3 weeks of lost wages. Not asking for much considering what happened! At the very least, we were expecting to get an apology and some show of sincere concern for his injury. NOT ONE PERSON we spoke to asked my husband "Are you okay?" or even inquired about the extent of his injuries.

The first man we spoke to (Steven, I believe), when we showed him the charger and told him what happened, said something along the lines of "Oh yeah sometimes the pins inside the adapter go bad/loosen over time and this can cause this to happen". Essentially, he verbalized that this was a known problem for their chargers (which was never disclosed to us at any point, and for which there is no active recall out for this product).

We asked to speak to a manager so he went in the back and about 10 minutes later another man came out to speak to us. He did not tell us his name or title so I cannot provide that here. This man proceeded to give us every excuse in the book as to why this was not Tesla's fault and why it may be our fault. He said perhaps we had the wrong kind of outlet, perhaps the outlet we had was faulty....and even "maybe you were plugging it in wrong". Really? How many ways are there to plug something into an outlet? He was dead set on blaming the problem on us (with no evidence, just his conjectures) and to basically get rid of us.

We are absolutely disgusted by Tesla's careless response to their consumer and to a safety issue they should be addressing. I'm not sure what was more upsetting, my husband getting injured by the fire or this man's insulting and callous attitude regarding that injury...which was caused by their faulty product! If the people we talked to that day (at Tesla Service Center in Portland, Oregon) had shown even one iota of concern for my husband, I may have been able to chalk this up as just an unlucky incident but their response has left me absolutely disgusted with their company and their product. My friends and family are disgusted as well, they have vowed to never buy a Tesla after hearing about our terrible experience. Please don't buy Tesla, they do not give one crap about their consumer!

Original review: April 25, 2021

I just wanted to share my experience with fast loss of range of my 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range. My Model 3 is now 3 years old and when I recently, April 2021, completely charged my Tesla I only got 270 miles of range. That is a loss of more than 40 miles in 3 years. I contacted customer service and was told that nothing is wrong with my battery and they tried to explain that the on board computer is not precise and underestimates range. I drove until my battery was almost completely empty and was able to drive exactly 270 miles as predicted by the Tesla computer. I usually never charge more than 90% and discharge below 50% during my regular daily commute. A loss of more than 40 miles in only 3 years is pretty disappointing. Need to think twice if I would buy an expensive Tesla again.

Tesla Company Information