Tesla Motors

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had Tesla P90D. I totaled it out doing 20 mph. The Battery is completely unprotected. Anything on the road will destroy the battery. They cost $45000.00 for the battery alone. They are complete ** and will not take my calls now. ** TESLA. The world needs to know!!!

$130000 car selling place looking like a used car dealership. Service/delivery/showroom/waiting - all are area in the same shabby tiny area with very limited seating. Limited car parking. Delivered me a model X car with white discolored spots on all four plastic trims over tire. Service manager told me, "would replace them." When took my car there today- they lied. They said, "would polish them." Denied and said, "never said to replace them." I was very upset about that. Then I was told it was known issue and the plastic trims were back-ordered. Agreed to replace them when available. This Tesla Dealership address is 4651 Dyer Blvd, Riviera Beach, FL 33407. All knows this is a high crime dangerous area. Just driving fully charge car to Miami from West Palm Beach (about 75 miles) to attend a wedding reception depleted all the charge and could not drive back home before finding a super charge station 25 miles away in the middle of the night.

At the start point, it was fully charged showing 185 miles driving distance. This $130000 car is still in primitive phase, not in the luxury range at all. It has a fancy looking extra large Galaxy Tab mounted on dash. Regular Sunpass will not work, you need to buy a special transponder which needed to be drilled in the front license plate area. If you have issues with sunlight (migraine, sensitive skin) - do not buy this car. Sunshade (sun visor) is a joke. In the rain rear camera floods with water and you will not see anything. Making charging arrangement in my home costed me over $3000. I do not know how expensive the repair cost would be when warranty would expire. Just a piece of pricey toy I bought. I regret.

I am coming up on a year anniversary with the vehicle. Meaning a year without gas stations. The delight has still not worn off of being inside this machine. You appreciate it more when you are in other vehicles, and then go back to your non existent transmission. The smoothness, the velocity, the quiet operation, all to be missed. As is the entire notion of the car of the future. 17" touch screen will always make you feel like James Bond. Literally. The door handles that greet you when you walk up to it. The fact you can get out of the car and it will park itself for you.

Electric vehicles, have virtually no maintenance. This makes their reliability, paramount. As if this was not enough, that mere legend behind Tesla alone will be. A new automaker, that produces sustainable, clean energy, zero emission vessels. Not having a tail pipe belching filth into our atmosphere that can/will kill us is the number one point of understanding. This company not only made history in its short span already, but it will continue to rewrite and light the future for us to be brighter. Tesla is nothing short of incredible, and something to be experienced.

Model X headrest is electric and cannot be adjusted by the user. When seat is back The headrest is at its highest. When seat is forward headrest is that its lowest. I plan to ask Tesla to disconnect the electric. The reason is that passengers in the second row seats are completely blocked in by the headrest practically reaching the ceiling. Very unsatisfactory.

I spoke with at least 3 T advisers to tell them I had no icon for an a.m. radio station. They suggested I bring it in for repair. I scheduled the repair and that adviser said there is no a.m. radio available on the Tesla Model X. I found it interesting that they're only advisers did not get the training to even know there is no a.m. available. The reason they gave is it causes static. The driver side window is scored by something touching it down in the door panel. Tesla will replace the window if I bring it in the 28 mile trip I must make from my town to the nearest repair location.

It's worse than you can possibly imagine... I've owned a Tesla for 3 months and was hit going about 2 mph - scratched the front bumper and wheel and tire went flat. My good friend owns an auto body shop and has done my car repairs for 3 cars for 15 years. But, I learned that I have to use "Tesla Approved" and can't use him anymore. Tesla Centinela connected me to DC Autocraft. I asked for an estimate. They said they couldn't, as they had tow charges (tire flat), costs of storage, and other charges. I texted them notifying them that I'd pay for tow if they provided an estimate. They agreed. It's been two weeks, I still don't have an estimate but they're indicating that it would be more than $10,000 to fix - crazy ripoff.

So, I began to dig in. I spoke to my Allstate agent and filed a claim (never had filed a claim on any car in 37 years of driving). The Allstate adjuster said that Tesla's are a big problem. The lowest estimate that he'd approved is $7,000 and it takes weeks or months more to fix a Tesla - the "approved" body shops are all backed up and have no parts. DC Autocraft took a check from Allstate (something like $5,500), but DC Autocraft continues to ignore my approval. Now, they indicate that the repairs won't be done for weeks and the supplement is over $10,000. I asked for list of parts being used, it's virtually nothing - wheel and tire ($550 combined - I checked), a sensor ($30) and some body work.

In addition to the lack of service (DC doesn't have the parts, no one communicates with transparency), I feel (don't have proof) that there is corruption between Tesla and, at least, one of their "approved" auto body repair shops. To prepare for electric, I've spent $8,000 rewiring my house, putting in a Wall connector and getting ready to put in $70,000 of Tesla solar panels. After this experience, I'm selling this Tesla and getting a real car on which I can depend - not a toy. Disappointed Soon To Be Former Tesla Owner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla?

We got the delivery of Model X yesterday. The process from ordering to delivery was quite smooth, they cooperated with us. Good Point: No Bargains means one price for all. Car runs great. When we placed order it we were showed white leather type perforated seats and we chose the same and selected them BUT Discrepancy in the order: upon delivery they mention now it is part of the premium package and also discontinued, which was not inform to us and there wasn't any price adjustment.

Car was incomplete: My family, obviously kids were so excited so we took the delivery but did record our concern. First drive to home, car was pulling towards left and I order with the Tow Package which was not installed and now I have to take appointment with service center and get it done. Software Issues: Autopilot was not working due to software upgrade and driver door was not able to open due to software issue that was told my Representative Mr. Michell and Mr. James. Hopefully it will be fixed after software upgrade.

Model S - Prior to the purchase - I thought I had done all my homework. But after recently reading and viewing photos of some Tesla vehicles in minor accidents -- I now realize that the car is anything but durable as so many posters unknowingly here refer to it as. Durable means strong and long-lasting. What they don't know is that the chassis is made of Aluminum, which is very light weight compared to Steel, (outdoor painted aluminium will eventually fade) and when your vehicle hits or is hit by something, even a very minor rear-end tap may cause the liftgate, liftgate window, both rear panels and the bumper to crumple into an awesome mess, which is extremely costly to repair.

And since Tesla makes their own parts, and is busy making the parts to meet their new delivery numbers - a simple 1 month accident repair with another car -- can and does take up to 6 months for Tesla to supply the parts to their own authorized Body Shops; you can only use their authorized Body Shop. So now I'm more worried than the average person of becoming involved in an accident. And that takes all the fun of owning a Tesla.

I have purchased a total of 4 Tesla's (3 Model S and one model X), after the first car the sales support has become a nightmare. They don't give a crap about fixing your problems. Example... one week after we got the Model X the window was leaking. We called them and they gave us a date ONE MONTH later to bring our car. After me talking to the management they finally moved the date.

I just bought a P100D three months ago, they messed up on the price of the Auto Pilot, four week after we took delivery they called and informed me that I owed them money and if I don't pay it they will remotely remove the feature... which would be a safety issue. There was no remorse from any of their employees. I even talked with the District Manager. Their basic response was... "screw you. We don't care if you are a customer, pay the $ or we will shut off the feature." Mind you I paid them whatever they wanted at the time of delivery.

Additionally, we paid for the additional $8600 two weeks ago, we called them today to inquire why our number plates had not arrived and their answer "We did not submit your registration until you paid the additional $8600 for the auto pilot. WTF!!! I paid them over $120,000 and they held the registration hostage. These people are ** thugs. DO NOT BUY A TESLA FROM COSTA MESA. THEY WILL SCREW YOU!!! These people are arrogant and treat you like CRAP once you buy the car. I WILL NEVER BUY A TESLA AGAIN.

Tesla is great when you want to purchase a car. They will even roll out the red carpet for you!! But once it is damaged there seems to be no accountability and everyone passes on the buck. Good luck getting any help when you need the help. Our car was damaged in an accident (I fully believe it was a car malfunction versus "driver error" even though they refuse to accept responsibility) and has been in one of their approved auto body shop for over a month and a half for repairs. The auto body shop says they have received 2 parts so far and hasn't started work.

I call the service center repeatedly and each time answered by new people and looking over the requested parts guide for the first time. I hear yesterday that they were able to source all but 2 parts and yet no one has an answer as to why it never reached the workshop for over a month. We are not only paying money on it while it sits in the garage waiting for parts but also for a rental car and medical bills as a result of the accident. Thanks Tesla for NO help!!! We were all for Tesla but not anymore. I pray that none of you have any problems with your TESLA but if you do good luck getting any help from them.

I have a 2015 Model S and have been waiting 6 weeks for Tesla to send the parts to repair the car (which are only number parts). Tesla reports that it will be at lease another 2 weeks. I could have ordered a new car in that period of time. I have read other posts with the same issue. This has really scarred what has been an otherwise good experience.

Updated on 12/08/2016: I just over a month ago on the problems you may encounter when you attempt to repair your Tesla. At that time I had been waiting 6 weeks for the parts to repair my front bumper. It has now been over 10 weeks. The shop informed me that they were only waiting for the spoiler for the front bumper over a month ago, it has still not arrived. I called and left messages with Tesla and received absolutely no response. I emailed Tesla and received no response. The odd thing is, I could have ordered and received a brand new Tesla Model S by now so obviously this is a very real service problem Tesla needs to correct.

I had an accident with my Tesla Model S about 2 months ago and to date still have no car. Tesla cannot get parts for it and no one from the corporate office can resolve. Personnel do not even call back and I am still paying a lot of money for a vehicle I cannot use. How would you feel?

The speed gas mileage is not as good as I thought it would be. Other than that I love it. Is good car and drive it everywhere. I would buy it again. Good car that last forever and family can all fit, and have room also. Good gas mileage is the most important. I love a good car that fits my needs to travel. Radio and comfy sitting in the car. WiFi is nice in a car for traveling. DVD player are awesome for the long car trip with a baby and the family. Me and my family travel everywhere all summer. We go to concerts and other long trips, and also always need to get around in the day to shop. Cars are important to the family and doctor's appointment... are important in life.

Absolutely reliable, saves so much money, requires so little upkeep, very quiet, has honestly long since paid for itself. My husband is hardly careful with it but nevertheless we haven't had any issues. Met and even exceeded all expectations. I was worried that it was too different from anything I'd had before and would carry its own set of problems, but other than the expected power trade offs, everything has been smooth sailing. Gorgeous, you feel like an astronaut in a spaceship. Sleek, stylish, unique, draws everyone's attention. You really feel like you're in a whole other world, in the future. As I said before, the money saved has already made the additional cost worth it. When you consider the massive decrease in small particulate matter it's even more worth it.

I had other cars but this one is top of the line. I'm talking omg good. It is quality and I'm talking great. You can tell it gonna last just by the look and feel. This car drives so well. I'm not a get in my car and go fast kinda guy but car makes me feel like I wanna be. I love how it pick up and it so smooth. The sleekness of this car is like future sleek. I'm talking I love how this car is designed in and out. I got it in the exact color I want and like I said inside and out. The price was great for the quality of car. This is you get a great deal and the options are great too. I know you think it like all companies but you really get looked out for here.

Very durable compared to others in its class. Can handle the workload of any job that is thrown at it. Very rarely breaks down. It can handle small jobs and large as easy as pie. Performs significantly better than the competition. No job is too large. Very rarely do you have any technical issues. The final product is of the highest quality for its class. Its appearance is exceptional. It fits in with any setting. Many times you don't even know it is there. Expertly made to blend in well in its surroundings. Excellent value compared to the competition. The price is right on point for what you get elsewhere, but this has more muscle and looks better than the competition.

It was a very positive buying experience. Thus far, the car has held up quite well. Tesla makes a very fast and performance savvy car. It performs better than a BMW or Mercedes. Tesla is known for its quality and unique look. It is unlike any other. You cannot compare it to another brand. I would recommend Tesla, but it's not cheap by any means. Buying experience was good and positive, but this is not a car for the average man. Price tag isn't cheap.

This car was made to last and I haven't had any problems with it since I bought it last year. The car doesn't have engine problems and I feel that in the long run it will actually save me money even though it was an expensive purchase and investment. The car performs so well. I am very pleased with it and many people are jealous of the car and my experience with it. The engine is amazing and the interior of the car is beautiful. I am scared it will eventually get messed up due to wear and tear but I love it.

This car is so sleek looking and looks as expensive as it is. The leather is beautiful and the car smells amazing. It has smelled brand new for a long time. Everything looks high end and expensive in the car. I feel as though I am sitting in the lap of luxury. In the long run this car will be a good value. However it was a huge investment and I had to carefully think about if my decision was worth it. I just hope the car is dependable and lasts for a long time like it has up to this point.

The best brand for my car. Very efficient and top of the line. I couldn't see myself using anything else. Long lasting product and the durability is the best of its kind. The performance is excellent and I'm glad I chose this product. The best there is out there. It goes very well with what I was looking for and much more. The performance and appearance is very professional and is rich in quality. The product matches the brand and is worth every penny. I could not have asked for anything else. The value is way less than I thought I would have to pay for. It is very affordable and convenient for what I had been looking for all this time.

I own a body shop in Arvada, CO. A repeat customer brought in his 2013 Model S to repair a scrape on his front bumper. We repaired the damage, but when it came to ordering the 3 small parts we needed for the vehicle the service department would not return our calls. They seem to be telling their customers that only their service centers can repair their vehicles and are making it impossible for my business to buy their parts. I know that it is illegal for an insurance company to tell you where to have your car repaired, they call it "steering". Allowing only Tesla repair centers to repair their vehicles is a type of "steering" and is not a good thing for the consumer. It promotes price gouging and is unfair to other businesses.

I do not know what to do. We will charge our customer for the painting we did and give him his car back in pieces to take to a Tesla center. The one center located here in Colorado does not do auto body and paint. So I guess he will have to ship it out of state. That is not the customer service I want to provide to my customers. Tesla should be ashamed!! I can reach a live person if I want to buy a car, but not if I need to purchase parts. Tesla buyers beware!

I find the durability to be wonderful. It's very durable. I have hit it by a mistake and it didn't even scratch. What a wonderful today to have the innovation we have now. Works amazing. You should feel it. How amazing the ride is. Nice, peaceful, smooth. You truly couldn't ask for anything more. Anything!! What a beauty!! Definitely top notch in the looks department. Something that people will look at and be like... "Woah. I want one of those!!" I find the value to be outstanding. Obviously a little on the pricey side. But you pay for what you want!! This to me is absolutely worth it. It's worth your money.

The durability is amazing. It is the best car on the road. It has amazing speeds and very light. Tesla is the car to have. It's super fast and economic pinks and saves for driving. No need for gas because it's electric. Great car for price. The appearance is beautiful. I have a black one. Everyone loves it and it's a great wonderful car. We love the car. Please buy it. It has saved me tons of money by being electric. It's amazing and wonderful and great and wonderful. So very good.

I have had service issues from the day I put down my $2500 deposit. The Newport Beach sales team - 3 different associates at different times - told me one thing reinstalling the plug (any electrician) & corporate told me different (need city permits) & apologized. Then there was a discrepancy about the order & I got a nasty email from a delivery associate. I still bought the car. I went for service a week later because the seat belt cut into me & subsequently realized the radio didn't work. The service guy wouldn't check the antenna light - even though I had an appointment (which he said was scheduled for 4 hours) and said I had to come back. The car is great but there are NO grown ups servicing the company. DO NOT BUY this car in Newport Beach/Costa Mesa CA unless you have the patience of a saint. Their customer service consists of smiling & say no.

I reserved one of their roadsters in May '07 and paid a $50,000 deposit for the privilege. I received reservation number ** with an estimated delivery of June 2008. The base car cost $92,000 and had a 100,000-mile 5-year warranty including the battery. The total price with warranty, options and destination charge was $101,425.

On May 15, 2008, I received an email from Tesla stating that Tesla had established a comprehensive warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles, which covered all aspects of the car for defects in materials and workmanship. The battery pack was part of this comprehensive warranty. Also the email said, "Tesla will offer an extended warranty option at no cost to the 2008 Roadster Club members, extending the coverage to 4 years/50,000 miles (emphasis theirs).” The email also announced, "We recently announced pricing on the 2009 Tesla Roadster in the U.S. The base price is expected to be $109,000. With all factory options, the Roadster will cost about $120,200. This price increase does not affect any member who has already reserved a 2008 Roadster."

Per the original agreement, the deposit was refundable at any time until I "locked in" my options. Once I locked in the options in late November '08 with an estimated delivery in April 09, the deposit became non-refundable and I was obligated to accept delivery and pay the balance of the $101,425. The estimated delivery per Stephen ** was the end of April 2009. That sounded to me like we had a contract for a car with my selected options, warranty (including battery) and firm price.

In January '09, I received an email from Doreen ** that the price and available options for my vehicle had been changed. To make a long story short, if I wanted the same options and warranty the cost went up from $101,425 to over $130,000!

I have talked with Tesla and their attorney Craig **. My attorney has talked with Mr. **. Tesla and their attorney assert that they are free to change the price and options on the vehicle at any time while I am locked in to a non-refundable deposit, paying whatever they wish to charge and accepting whatever changes to the vehicle they wish to make. I believe (after having consulted with my attorney) that there was a firm contract put in place once I "locked in" my options. I am inclined to take them to court to force them to honor our contract. However, I am having second thoughts about owning a car manufactured by a company that is so quick to cheat its customers like it has. I can just imagine the way they would treat me after I took delivery of what is (based on their continued diminished warranty) likely to be a car that is troublesome and expensive to maintain.

Those who are thinking about ordering a roadster or their model S and sending them an interest free deposit ($5,000 for the model S and $9,900 for the roadster) should think twice.

Tesla Motors Company Profile