Tesla Motors
Based on 44 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Tesla Motors

45 Tesla Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 28, 2018

Tesla is a great car. I love it more than my Mustang!!! I would kiss Elon Musk if I could. My car is electric but fast and stylish. It makes me feel unique when guys stare at it going down the road. I had one person follow me to the store just to get a photo. It's the most awesome feeling ever. It has lane detection, great sound system and Bluetooth.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Again our X broke down. As solution a S is offered. What I am supposed to do? Leave our fourth child at home? Even after complaining we have to do it with the S. The S does not carry 6 persons! I am so done with Tesla, NEVER again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 9, 2018

My Tesla accelerated while parking and hit a handicap pole. Tesla would not release the black box which contains pertinent information to me nor to the insurance company. My Tesla is still at Amatos, its authorized body shop. This is going to be 4th months in the shop, still waiting for parts. My impression with Tesla is once the buyer takes possession of the car the company would not do anything to help!

Original review: May 4, 2018

There have been two recalls on vehicle and seat rubs against console making an annoying squeak. Even so, this Tesla Model S car is a lot of fun to drive and looks fantastic.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My Tesla is a dream come true! My dog & I recently returned from a cross country road trip. It was such a joy to drive & cost $0 to operate. I felt safer than I ever have. (I have always been anxious pulling into a gas station by myself.) I have no regrets in buying my Tesla and would do it again in a heartbeat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla?

Original review: April 11, 2018

My wife and I ordered a Tesla Model X a couple months ago. Originally, the expected delivery date wasn’t until May ‘18 but to my surprise I received a call from them in early March saying my car was ready and asked that we pick it up by March 31, which not coincidentally is the last day of their fiscal quarter. From the very first day (mind you this was 1.5 weeks ago) we were having problems with the car from a strange rattling sound emanating from the vehicle and the sound of wind as we drove suggesting the doors weren’t properly screwed on. We obviously were disappointed that we were having problems from the get-go on a brand new very expensive car but it shouldn’t be a surprise given the reviews I’m now reading online and my friend’s own disastrous experience with the Model X (steering problems, inability to turn the vehicle on and gullwing door malfunction to name a few).

We were particularly worried whether the car was unsafe given I have a newborn (3-weeks old) and a 2 year old toddler that rides in the car with us. So when we took the car to the shop last week we were particularly shocked when the technician thought we may have a suspension problem given the noise... FYI I still don’t know what the actual problem is. After thinking for a bit, it sort of doesn’t surprise me. You see, I follow Tesla’s stock (and thus the company) so I know that given the company’s cash burn, inability to make Wall Street numbers, recent death of a Model X owner, etc. that the company was feeling the pressure to make consensus estimates for deliveries.

Press reports suggested a big push at the end of the quarter to “hit numbers” and what I suspect happened is that the quality control during production went down in the pursuit of pumping out car deliveries by the end of the quarter. My guess is I’m not the only one that was delivered a flawed Tesla vehicle. I just hope that safety wasn’t compromised in the process... After spending hours of our time dealing with Tesla, I would have to say the customer service sucks. They try to appease you by sounding nice but no one I spoke to wanted to take any responsibility and took multiple of the same conversation with different employees who just passed me onto another employee. Needless to say, this was a highly disappointing purchase from the get-go.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I placed a $1,000 deposit on a Tesla Model 3 in 2017. In February of 2018, I cancelled the deposit online. When I received nothing, I emailed Tesla and have traded emails for the last month. The agent is sympathetic, says it will take a while, but still no refund after a month.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We were offered a .99% interest rate and a price reduction of $16,800 off of a vehicle in inventory. So we agreed to it with $30,000 down and were ready to sign. What a deal, right? NO! NOT SO MUCH! After choosing an SUV and putting down $2,500 to secure our Model X P100D we were informed that even with a credit score of 740 and the $30,000 down the company didn’t want to agree to what we had previously decided. They came back with an interest rate of .99% but decided they wanted $60,000 down and were waiving our tax return requirements.

Also, taxes and registration would need to be paid additionally instead of being included. We wouldn’t agree to those terms because that’s not what we were told initially. In an attempt to complete a sale multiple financial institutions were distributed our information with no success. So after speaking with the manager we were told we couldn’t get our $2,500 back due to “company policy”. Now not only are we not a Tesla owner but our credit score is down by 50 points from multiple inquiries and we are out $2,500. WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD TRYING TO PURCHASE AN AUTOMOBILE!

Original review: March 29, 2018 I have owned a Model S for just over a year, recently the ball joint broke on the front right hand wheel, Tesla were very quick to deny liability stating that the car must have been in a collision and that was the cause. Furthermore they sent me an estimate from one of their preferred body shops for just under £8000

Really!!! I'm no mechanic but that's a lot of money for a ball joint. Tesla seem to be selling a lot of cars but are lacking customer service. Great to drive but make sure you don't take it out of its comfort zone. Won't be buying another one of those in a hurry.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am in love with my Tesla S after 2-1/2 years. The look, the performance and much more is wonderful, however, there is one software problem they have not been able to fix for the 2-1/2 years. After turning off the car, when you get back in to start, the radio station changes to random things. It needs to be reset very often. It is irritating that they have not yet been able to correct the software problem. Love it, love it, love it, but it would actually fall into the LEMON category in the State of California. It seems to be problematic across the line.

Original review: March 5, 2018

From my first experience driving a Tesla at the Fremont Tesla factory & track, I was totally sold and knew I wanted to buy a Tesla. I spent a great deal of time driving both models (Tesla Model S & Tesla Model X), reading reviews and ultimately trying to decide which one would be the best for me. I was quite worried about the initial reviews of the Model X (not good!) and the Model S of course is one of the most loved cars of all-time.

It’s the big and the small details that really put Tesla in a league of its own. The responsiveness of the accelerator (no lag time) makes driving safer. The regenerative braking combined with standard anti-lock brakes allows the vehicle to stop more quickly than any other car. Overall the safety ratings for both Model S & Model X are as close to perfect as one could ask for. I’m driving my wife and baby around and safety and comfort is paramount. I love the sleek James Bond look of the Model S and also appreciate how insanely quiet the car is when driving.

If you’re reading reviews you’re already aware of how fast these cars are and how amazing it is that Tesla can “push” updates to the car, something that none of my other cars have ever been able to do. Even little things like the “frunk” (front trunk) on both cars is something that sets Tesla apart (I am often in San Francisco and having a very secure space to leave a laptop bag is very much appreciated). Other “nice to have” things like the door that opens as you walk up to your car, the music that starts playing where you left off as soon as you start to sit down, the automatic “hands-free" parallel parking feature, the hands-free voice controls that allow you to enter navigation items as specific as “the Safeway in the Marina District” without knowing the street name or address... I could go on and on and on.

In case you’re interested, I ended up buying the Model X (although the noisier cabin on the freeway was almost a deal-breaker for me). I needed the extra storage space for stroller, suitcases, skis, etc. and I preferred being a bit higher up on the road. I chose the 6-seat configuration which is strangely similar to a mini-van in terms of access and comfort… But from the outside and from the driver's seat, this car is more like a hybrid of a rocket ship & an ultra lux SUV.

One last feature that was pretty sweet was this referral link. By using referral code I was able to get free unlimited supercharging and even got $500 credit. If you are considering buying a Tesla, or if you just want a chance to race one of the new Tesla Semi’s, click ** and type in your email address. You’ll automatically be setup to get the best referral whenever you’re ready to buy your Tesla.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

This car is not made for northern climate. Although I keep my Model S in a heated garage, the windows all fog up within a few minutes of driving in the cold weather. The ventilation system is not capable of clearing the windshield quickly and have to wait 5 to 15 minutes before resuming drive. In addition, as many other owners have expressed, there is no "after sale service". Several calls and emails to the dealership are not returned and when I called and asked to speak to a manager, I was told that they don't have any managers!!! Not surprising there is no service, nobody is minding the store.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I’m 63 and I’ve owned several high end luxury cars in my lifetime. But there is no experience as amazing as my new 2017 Model S. The ride, the build quality, the radio and sound system all are amazing. Charges super fast and the ride is so quiet. I’ve only had it about 6 weeks but not a single problem. Comfortably seats my family of 5. Can’t believe how much I am enjoying this car. The experience from order to delivery is absolutely first class.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

In 2016 my Tesla Model S delivered with paint defect (front hood), missing side panel, only the latter was addressed at delivery but the former requires full repainting of hood. Noted in delivery but was asked for accept delivery as-is. During 2017, multiple door seams started coming off from the sides and had to be repaired in the shop. While it was being repaired as part of the first annual service, service center staff damaged front side door leather panel (scratched and cut) and left dried glue on the back body.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Ordered Tesla X and requested all season tires. Salesperson assured that the car will have all season tires. Got the order - did not say all season tires anywhere. Asked again that car will have all season tires - was assured of the same. A week later, salesperson called that they had an existing car with the specs we want for a better deal (it was a demo). Asked again about all season tires. Salesperson said "they could not confirm since car was on train". Got contacted 2-3 weeks later that car arrived. Asked again if the car has all season tires - the delivery center said they did not know (I presume the car was in the delivery center since they wanted us to come pick it up). Asked to please confirm that car has all season tires - 2 days later; got note that the car DOES NOT.

Asked if they could please put all season tires on the car. 1 day later message back that they do not have them in stock. Manager called to explain that "they don't know what tires are on the car until it shows up because that is how Tesla works". I have been buying cars for more than 25 years - even 25 years ago a salesperson could tell me what type of tires were on a car and would at least try and help me get the tires on. Tesla response - we don't have them, why don't you get them after market. I asked for credit, and they said no and that if I don't want the car I lose the $2,500 deposit. I will talk to my attorney about that.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Bought in May 2017 --- in shop for creaky motors, trunk does not open properly, creaks when braking. It was in the shop for all these reasons just a couple of months after purchase. When it came back, the trunk still did not open properly, the creaking lessened to a loud wheeze and then a new problem - the sensors in the doors are not ready for market - they are not smart - just robotic - so if I had something blocking me in spot A today, it resisters spot A as someplace it won't open -- stupid application of what was originally a smart idea. The manual override works but not all the time. The creaky motor and the rest of the experiment that is Model X made me wonder if I had bought a LEMON for all of $125 K. I realized we had when I had my first experience of what is known as "Sudden Unintended Acceleration" as I was slowing to a halt very nonchalantly at a signal.

The car SUDDENLY accelerated to a spooky pace and crashed into the Toyota truck in front. There was less than a car length between the 2 cars and the acceleration while dangerous resulted in a collision and nonlife threatening injuries. Tesla of course denies anything wrong with the car. They obviously can't admit anything wrong with their experiment. Both my husband and I have changed our cars. We both had Teslas. Mine is in the shop but we don't plan to get behind that wheel again. We may buy an electric car when it is tried and tested by a real car manufacturer and the technology is set in. No one wants to be in a car that just accelerates on its own. My first accident and it is NOT of my doing. Where are the institutions that are supposed to insist on better quality control and testing! I want my money back. I was sold a LEMON and this car is a public menace. Drivers beware!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Bought my Tesla S on September 30th 2017. Have not driven it much since I got it. Had problems installing my charger. So drive it for 300 miles and noticed the passenger front door and back passenger door did not line up. Then the passenger door behind the driver side the door handle stayed in unlock position while in the drive mode. Kept on hearing a grinding noise. Noticed the door handle was popped open. When placed in park, the door just pops open. It happened like this more than once. Then water moisture built up between the two doors. I called service and no one responded until a week past. Then it was too late and drove it to where I bought the car. No service manager or store manager on duty. Dropped off my car and they called me in a day that the car was ready. Not happy with car. Still have to pick it up and inspect it.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Tesla style Navigation for Mustang 2016 – Very cool, intelligent GPS navigation, and big screen for enjoying movie. Much more luxurious than other navigation. Android 6.0 system and use wifi, it looks like a small iPad, but can also calling and navigating and back view. Very nice. Good!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Tesla has the worst customer service I have ever experienced when it comes to cars. The few Tesla stores they have in Atlanta or its suburbs is only about selling their car but little help thereafter. Incompetent roadside service for emergency. The car does not even give the projected miles. It only gives 60 or at best 75 percent of the projected miles.

Superchargers are not readily available as they say when they sell the car. In remote areas you are lucky if you can find a regular Tesla charger that will take 8 hrs to fully charge your car. You have to be very careful with your mileage if planning long distance drive. I ordered online a touch up paint for a scratch on the door. They charged me right away online for the order but no word on the order or product even after a week.

I emailed them to check on the order twice but did not get a reply. I called them a few times to see if someone can help me for my online order but they kept transferring me from one person to another- ultimately to a voicemail that was full or to leave a message that no one calls you back on. I would not buy Tesla again and do not recommend it either unless they improve on their customer service and car mileage!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Purchased the Model X at the end of last year. Was a mistake getting the car, because the autopilot is a hazard to all drivers on the road, not just Tesla drivers. It has swerved in and out of lanes for no reason, slowed down abruptly for no reason, can't drive in a straight path on a straight road which causes car/motion sickness even for the driver, and the damn doors just don't operate properly.

Consumers are being used as data collection lab rats for autopilot. Tesla is not ready for public use of autopilot (AP), which is why their version of AP is "beta." If this is the case, consumers should NOT be charged for AP. There is no software or product that collects money for "beta" versions. Additionally, it should be deemed unsafe for public use until the FULL version is ready and available. I just hope no one dies from using AP. Then maybe, Elon will finally realize that no amount of money was worth saving to stop using Mobileye. What makes it worse is when the service rep is a complete ** who doesn't look to solve problems and instead wants to argue with you. Don in Buena Park is that guy, and he shouldn't have a job in any service related field. I wish nothing but hell for that guy as that's how he's treated me and that's the type of person he is.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I am disappointed that my 2015 Model S 70D does not stop on its own when it detects front end collision possibility. It just warns you with a dashboard STOP flashing. My Tesla does not have the drive itself option, but I feel this is a small piece of updating that should be standard. I have a 2017 Lexus RX 350 and it does stop on its own when I drive in the garage too close to something in front of it - standard safety feature. Sorry Tesla. Need to catch up.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I leased a Tesla S 60 2 months ago but before I picked it up they added new deal for less, they upgraded to 75 battery and included a glass roof and auto tailgate lift free. So I tried to cancel my order which by law was ok. So I told them to just upgrade to a 75 battery that was already in my care and mechanic said it would take only 5 minutes but Tesla said no. I said that all I want is a battery that is already in car. I emailed 5 big people in Tesla including Elon Musk they never responded and so called and then and they were very rude to me and said no, I AM VERY UNHAPPY so I will leave Tesla ASAP. Tesla needs to treat people much better.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I had Tesla P90D. I totaled it out doing 20 mph. The Battery is completely unprotected. Anything on the road will destroy the battery. They cost $45000.00 for the battery alone. They are complete ** and will not take my calls now. ** TESLA. The world needs to know!!!

Original review: June 2, 2017

$130000 car selling place looking like a used car dealership. Service/delivery/showroom/waiting - all are area in the same shabby tiny area with very limited seating. Limited car parking. Delivered me a model X car with white discolored spots on all four plastic trims over tire. Service manager told me, "would replace them." When took my car there today- they lied. They said, "would polish them." Denied and said, "never said to replace them." I was very upset about that. Then I was told it was known issue and the plastic trims were back-ordered. Agreed to replace them when available. This Tesla Dealership address is 4651 Dyer Blvd, Riviera Beach, FL 33407. All knows this is a high crime dangerous area. Just driving fully charge car to Miami from West Palm Beach (about 75 miles) to attend a wedding reception depleted all the charge and could not drive back home before finding a super charge station 25 miles away in the middle of the night.

At the start point, it was fully charged showing 185 miles driving distance. This $130000 car is still in primitive phase, not in the luxury range at all. It has a fancy looking extra large Galaxy Tab mounted on dash. Regular Sunpass will not work, you need to buy a special transponder which needed to be drilled in the front license plate area. If you have issues with sunlight (migraine, sensitive skin) - do not buy this car. Sunshade (sun visor) is a joke. In the rain rear camera floods with water and you will not see anything. Making charging arrangement in my home costed me over $3000. I do not know how expensive the repair cost would be when warranty would expire. Just a piece of pricey toy I bought. I regret.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I am coming up on a year anniversary with the vehicle. Meaning a year without gas stations. The delight has still not worn off of being inside this machine. You appreciate it more when you are in other vehicles, and then go back to your non existent transmission. The smoothness, the velocity, the quiet operation, all to be missed. As is the entire notion of the car of the future. 17" touch screen will always make you feel like James Bond. Literally. The door handles that greet you when you walk up to it. The fact you can get out of the car and it will park itself for you.

Electric vehicles, have virtually no maintenance. This makes their reliability, paramount. As if this was not enough, that mere legend behind Tesla alone will be. A new automaker, that produces sustainable, clean energy, zero emission vessels. Not having a tail pipe belching filth into our atmosphere that can/will kill us is the number one point of understanding. This company not only made history in its short span already, but it will continue to rewrite and light the future for us to be brighter. Tesla is nothing short of incredible, and something to be experienced.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Model X headrest is electric and cannot be adjusted by the user. When seat is back The headrest is at its highest. When seat is forward headrest is that its lowest. I plan to ask Tesla to disconnect the electric. The reason is that passengers in the second row seats are completely blocked in by the headrest practically reaching the ceiling. Very unsatisfactory.

I spoke with at least 3 T advisers to tell them I had no icon for an a.m. radio station. They suggested I bring it in for repair. I scheduled the repair and that adviser said there is no a.m. radio available on the Tesla Model X. I found it interesting that they're only advisers did not get the training to even know there is no a.m. available. The reason they gave is it causes static. The driver side window is scored by something touching it down in the door panel. Tesla will replace the window if I bring it in the 28 mile trip I must make from my town to the nearest repair location.

Original review: April 6, 2017

It's worse than you can possibly imagine... I've owned a Tesla for 3 months and was hit going about 2 mph - scratched the front bumper and wheel and tire went flat. My good friend owns an auto body shop and has done my car repairs for 3 cars for 15 years. But, I learned that I have to use "Tesla Approved" and can't use him anymore. Tesla Centinela connected me to DC Autocraft. I asked for an estimate. They said they couldn't, as they had tow charges (tire flat), costs of storage, and other charges. I texted them notifying them that I'd pay for tow if they provided an estimate. They agreed. It's been two weeks, I still don't have an estimate but they're indicating that it would be more than $10,000 to fix - crazy ripoff.

So, I began to dig in. I spoke to my Allstate agent and filed a claim (never had filed a claim on any car in 37 years of driving). The Allstate adjuster said that Tesla's are a big problem. The lowest estimate that he'd approved is $7,000 and it takes weeks or months more to fix a Tesla - the "approved" body shops are all backed up and have no parts. DC Autocraft took a check from Allstate (something like $5,500), but DC Autocraft continues to ignore my approval. Now, they indicate that the repairs won't be done for weeks and the supplement is over $10,000. I asked for list of parts being used, it's virtually nothing - wheel and tire ($550 combined - I checked), a sensor ($30) and some body work.

In addition to the lack of service (DC doesn't have the parts, no one communicates with transparency), I feel (don't have proof) that there is corruption between Tesla and, at least, one of their "approved" auto body repair shops. To prepare for electric, I've spent $8,000 rewiring my house, putting in a Wall connector and getting ready to put in $70,000 of Tesla solar panels. After this experience, I'm selling this Tesla and getting a real car on which I can depend - not a toy. Disappointed Soon To Be Former Tesla Owner.

Original review: March 31, 2017

We got the delivery of Model X yesterday. The process from ordering to delivery was quite smooth, they cooperated with us. Good Point: No Bargains means one price for all. Car runs great. When we placed order it we were showed white leather type perforated seats and we chose the same and selected them BUT Discrepancy in the order: upon delivery they mention now it is part of the premium package and also discontinued, which was not inform to us and there wasn't any price adjustment.

Car was incomplete: My family, obviously kids were so excited so we took the delivery but did record our concern. First drive to home, car was pulling towards left and I order with the Tow Package which was not installed and now I have to take appointment with service center and get it done. Software Issues: Autopilot was not working due to software upgrade and driver door was not able to open due to software issue that was told my Representative Mr. Michell and Mr. James. Hopefully it will be fixed after software upgrade.

Original review: March 9, 2017

Model S - Prior to the purchase - I thought I had done all my homework. But after recently reading and viewing photos of some Tesla vehicles in minor accidents -- I now realize that the car is anything but durable as so many posters unknowingly here refer to it as. Durable means strong and long-lasting. What they don't know is that the chassis is made of Aluminum, which is very light weight compared to Steel, (outdoor painted aluminium will eventually fade) and when your vehicle hits or is hit by something, even a very minor rear-end tap may cause the liftgate, liftgate window, both rear panels and the bumper to crumple into an awesome mess, which is extremely costly to repair.

And since Tesla makes their own parts, and is busy making the parts to meet their new delivery numbers - a simple 1 month accident repair with another car -- can and does take up to 6 months for Tesla to supply the parts to their own authorized Body Shops; you can only use their authorized Body Shop. So now I'm more worried than the average person of becoming involved in an accident. And that takes all the fun of owning a Tesla.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I have purchased a total of 4 Tesla's (3 Model S and one model X), after the first car the sales support has become a nightmare. They don't give a crap about fixing your problems. Example... one week after we got the Model X the window was leaking. We called them and they gave us a date ONE MONTH later to bring our car. After me talking to the management they finally moved the date.

I just bought a P100D three months ago, they messed up on the price of the Auto Pilot, four week after we took delivery they called and informed me that I owed them money and if I don't pay it they will remotely remove the feature... which would be a safety issue. There was no remorse from any of their employees. I even talked with the District Manager. Their basic response was... "screw you. We don't care if you are a customer, pay the $ or we will shut off the feature." Mind you I paid them whatever they wanted at the time of delivery.

Additionally, we paid for the additional $8600 two weeks ago, we called them today to inquire why our number plates had not arrived and their answer "We did not submit your registration until you paid the additional $8600 for the auto pilot. WTF!!! I paid them over $120,000 and they held the registration hostage. These people are ** thugs. DO NOT BUY A TESLA FROM COSTA MESA. THEY WILL SCREW YOU!!! These people are arrogant and treat you like CRAP once you buy the car. I WILL NEVER BUY A TESLA AGAIN.

Tesla Motors Company Information