Tesla Motors
Based on 52 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Tesla Motors

53 Tesla Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Buyer beware!!! Model 3 cars delivered with damages to the bottom of car and when discovered 2.5 weeks later since normal people do not inspect bottom of the car. I found huge long scratches to on passenger side of bottom of car, and ball size dents to metal trim, tears in the rubber and scratches to battery unit. When taken into the support center and showroom in Fremont, they claim nothing can be done as they stated that I could have ran over a very high-speed bump. Please keep in mind that I had about 100 miles to the car, drove it 4 times, and given it is a brand new car, nobody in the right mind would run over high-speed bump at high speed to cause such damage (ball size hole in the metal part???).

The customer service department did not even consider the possibility that it could have been damaged when car was built or during delivery. I am completely disappointed and angry that I have to pay for any repairs and live with this damage for a brand new car. Plus, there are many complaints about quality already so Tesla is not willing to fix problems for their customers? Please inspect every part of your car if you buy Tesla, or maybe reconsider buying another car!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Given the shape of the X, there's no way to look over the back and see your exact distance from an object. Unlike the excellent front warning system ("STOP" at 12"), there is none when backing up. Although you will see an object in the large center screen from the camera, there's no way of judging just how close you are. Carefully backing into a charging station, a low pole was visible but only a car 22" to the side registered in the warning system. Carefully backing in, I bumped the low pole and creating a crease in the rear door. The estimated repair cost from Tesla's preferred body shop: $8,300! I had tried to use the AutoPark function to no avail.

Here's a few things I've learned: AUTOPARK will never work unless you've turned on AUTOSTEER. That fact doesn't appear in any owners' manual or anywhere else! Once activated, AUTOPARK works if at all in very limited situations. Among other things, there has to be autos on both sides. As for the rear camera and parking guides, it won't recognize very low, old curbs. Angry at refusal of Tesla to acknowledge these problems with the X and the failure of customer literature and representatives.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Today I took possession of my Model S 100D Tesla at the Fremont location. I was deeply disappointed by the experience. I would expect some decent attention in ensuring I get the attention and customer service for buying a $125K car. I had an appointment at 12:15 PM and the car was not ready. The person who took care of all the paperwork was not well trained or educated to answer my questions. The new car had a minor spot. He promised to buff it but never brought it up before I left. So the minor spot remains on the new car.

He did not care to go through the functions. I had to ask and in 5 minutes showed me some basic functions. He never showed me the advanced features that I bought the car for. I am left to figure it out. The car was less than 50% charged. He asked me to drive to a location a mile away. When I went there, it was a normal charger which would take 60 minutes to add like less than 20 miles. It was not a supercharger. He expected me to wait for hours to get it charged before I left. I noticed that the lining (piping/beading) on the front door was not installed correctly. Poor quality control for an expensive car. Overall very disappointed with the experience. One good note, is that it drives very well.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have written to Tesla on at least two occasions and have not received a reply to either communications. I've had similar results in trying to communicate with their store. Calls are not returned. On one occasion when I did get a live person and asked to speak to a manager, I was told that they don't have managers.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My windshield was hit by a rock 3 months ago still no replacement windshield. I was rear ended 2 1/2 months ago still no replacement parts and it sits in the body shop. Tesla has a website that you can log your complaints and get a reply within 48 hours. I logged on several weeks ago and have not heard a word back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tesla?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My Tesla S100 one month new - rear camera malfunctioning. Bought this toy for $125K, already had issues with Rear Camera blackout just I was in reverse mode and hit a pole while backing for charging. Pre-delivery issues with paint blemish on door and lower panel misaligned. Took it to Tesla Service Center at Dublin as per appointment for body shop. Tesla provide me a loaner but will not give me estimated time I will get my brand new car back. I called them and was told that it may take one week to one month. WTF.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I had two Model S before, and I was happy with them both. When my Tesla was rear-ended in March, I had to buy another Model S from their in-stock inventory, and it was delivered in May. Immediately after delivery, I found 4 problems with the car. I took the car back to service 3 times in the past 2 months, and the 4 problems still exists:

1. The in-home charger that Tesla sent me when I bought my first Tesla in 2013 cannot charge the new car unless I press the 'reset' button many times, sometimes up to 30 times. All other Tesla cars are OK including the loaners that I got from the dealership, but this car cannot charge. After the 2nd service, they sent a mobile technician to check out my charger, and he replaced the cable. However, the car still wouldn't charge unless I keep pressing the reset button numerous times. It can take up to half hour to stand there to wait for the car to start charging!

2. The map shows traffic conditions on freeways that is wrong. When I zoom in and out, the same freeway would be green on one and dark red on another. One time, I drove to I-5, and the map shows green, but the freeway was totally congested. So, I entered the destination in the navigation and it actually advised me to bypass the I-5 and take SR-55 to SR-22. However, the map still showed green on I-5. This happens all the time, so I have no confidence in the map at all. Tesla's technical support staff simply said "This is a google map so we have no means of correcting it". However, my cell phone has google map and I do not see the same mistakes there. If google map is consistently wrong, wouldn't it caused an uproar in the IT world? What a lame excuse from Tesla!!!

3. My last Model S, 2016, has autopilot, and it can distinguish between motorcycles, automobiles and trucks since the dashboard displays the cars that are in front and to the sides, it could even distinguish between light color cars and darker cars as the display would show it. However, this new 2018 model cannot distinguish them all - every vehicle is a car, and while it tries to distinguish the color, it's sometimes wrong - a black car is shown white on the dashboard etc.. What I subsequently experienced is that sometimes during autopilot, the car would suddenly slow down and then speed up again despite not having any vehicles in its way. The mobile technician that came to my home to fix the in-wall charger said I need to take it back to Tesla to 'recalibrate the cameras'; however, when I made an appointment to do that, I was told that the cameras are calibrated in the factory and they cannot recalibrate it!!!

4. My 2016 Model S has HEPA biological air filter, which I really like. The 2018 model also has HEPA, but every time I turn it on, the fan speed is automatically changed to 8, and when I change it, HEPA goes off. So, every time I want cleaner air, it's blowing in my face, even in 65F weather! I took it to the shop 3 times and they still couldn't fix it. "The car comes like this" I was told! But my 2016 Model S was not like this!!! Then they said "We had an overhaul of the firmware in the 2018 model". So, Tesla is rolling out a 2018 firmware that is worse than its 2016 version! How can any responsible company do that? I have been a big supporter of Tesla since 2013. However, I have lost confidence in Tesla completely. Now, their Service Manager took my information and is supposed to check for me how to remedy them, but it's been over a week and I haven't heard back from him yet. Good luck to me!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I don't know who to talk to about the fact that I purchased a new Model 3 Tesla and the day after I brought it home a light came on saying it needed servicing. I took it in and they said it needed windshield washer service and also it was showing miles on the odometer. It was at 0 when I picked it up. It has been two weeks now and my brand new car has been sitting out in the heat. They also disabled my phone app to the car. No word on when I'll get it. I really think I should just get a different new car. The new car smell has probably baked right out of it by now!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Tesla is a great car. I love it more than my Mustang!!! I would kiss Elon Musk if I could. My car is electric but fast and stylish. It makes me feel unique when guys stare at it going down the road. I had one person follow me to the store just to get a photo. It's the most awesome feeling ever. It has lane detection, great sound system and Bluetooth.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Again our X broke down. As solution a S is offered. What I am supposed to do? Leave our fourth child at home? Even after complaining we have to do it with the S. The S does not carry 6 persons! I am so done with Tesla, NEVER again.

Original review: May 9, 2018

My Tesla accelerated while parking and hit a handicap pole. Tesla would not release the black box which contains pertinent information to me nor to the insurance company. My Tesla is still at Amatos, its authorized body shop. This is going to be 4th months in the shop, still waiting for parts. My impression with Tesla is once the buyer takes possession of the car the company would not do anything to help!

Original review: May 4, 2018

There have been two recalls on vehicle and seat rubs against console making an annoying squeak. Even so, this Tesla Model S car is a lot of fun to drive and looks fantastic.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My Tesla is a dream come true! My dog & I recently returned from a cross country road trip. It was such a joy to drive & cost $0 to operate. I felt safer than I ever have. (I have always been anxious pulling into a gas station by myself.) I have no regrets in buying my Tesla and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My wife and I ordered a Tesla Model X a couple months ago. Originally, the expected delivery date wasn’t until May ‘18 but to my surprise I received a call from them in early March saying my car was ready and asked that we pick it up by March 31, which not coincidentally is the last day of their fiscal quarter. From the very first day (mind you this was 1.5 weeks ago) we were having problems with the car from a strange rattling sound emanating from the vehicle and the sound of wind as we drove suggesting the doors weren’t properly screwed on. We obviously were disappointed that we were having problems from the get-go on a brand new very expensive car but it shouldn’t be a surprise given the reviews I’m now reading online and my friend’s own disastrous experience with the Model X (steering problems, inability to turn the vehicle on and gullwing door malfunction to name a few).

We were particularly worried whether the car was unsafe given I have a newborn (3-weeks old) and a 2 year old toddler that rides in the car with us. So when we took the car to the shop last week we were particularly shocked when the technician thought we may have a suspension problem given the noise... FYI I still don’t know what the actual problem is. After thinking for a bit, it sort of doesn’t surprise me. You see, I follow Tesla’s stock (and thus the company) so I know that given the company’s cash burn, inability to make Wall Street numbers, recent death of a Model X owner, etc. that the company was feeling the pressure to make consensus estimates for deliveries.

Press reports suggested a big push at the end of the quarter to “hit numbers” and what I suspect happened is that the quality control during production went down in the pursuit of pumping out car deliveries by the end of the quarter. My guess is I’m not the only one that was delivered a flawed Tesla vehicle. I just hope that safety wasn’t compromised in the process... After spending hours of our time dealing with Tesla, I would have to say the customer service sucks. They try to appease you by sounding nice but no one I spoke to wanted to take any responsibility and took multiple of the same conversation with different employees who just passed me onto another employee. Needless to say, this was a highly disappointing purchase from the get-go.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I placed a $1,000 deposit on a Tesla Model 3 in 2017. In February of 2018, I cancelled the deposit online. When I received nothing, I emailed Tesla and have traded emails for the last month. The agent is sympathetic, says it will take a while, but still no refund after a month.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We were offered a .99% interest rate and a price reduction of $16,800 off of a vehicle in inventory. So we agreed to it with $30,000 down and were ready to sign. What a deal, right? NO! NOT SO MUCH! After choosing an SUV and putting down $2,500 to secure our Model X P100D we were informed that even with a credit score of 740 and the $30,000 down the company didn’t want to agree to what we had previously decided. They came back with an interest rate of .99% but decided they wanted $60,000 down and were waiving our tax return requirements.

Also, taxes and registration would need to be paid additionally instead of being included. We wouldn’t agree to those terms because that’s not what we were told initially. In an attempt to complete a sale multiple financial institutions were distributed our information with no success. So after speaking with the manager we were told we couldn’t get our $2,500 back due to “company policy”. Now not only are we not a Tesla owner but our credit score is down by 50 points from multiple inquiries and we are out $2,500. WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD TRYING TO PURCHASE AN AUTOMOBILE!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have owned a Model S for just over a year, recently the ball joint broke on the front right hand wheel, Tesla were very quick to deny liability stating that the car must have been in a collision and that was the cause. Furthermore they sent me an estimate from one of their preferred body shops for just under £8000

Really!!! I'm no mechanic but that's a lot of money for a ball joint. Tesla seem to be selling a lot of cars but are lacking customer service. Great to drive but make sure you don't take it out of its comfort zone. Won't be buying another one of those in a hurry.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am in love with my Tesla S after 2-1/2 years. The look, the performance and much more is wonderful, however, there is one software problem they have not been able to fix for the 2-1/2 years. After turning off the car, when you get back in to start, the radio station changes to random things. It needs to be reset very often. It is irritating that they have not yet been able to correct the software problem. Love it, love it, love it, but it would actually fall into the LEMON category in the State of California. It seems to be problematic across the line.

Original review: March 5, 2018

From my first experience driving a Tesla at the Fremont Tesla factory & track, I was totally sold and knew I wanted to buy a Tesla. I spent a great deal of time driving both models (Tesla Model S & Tesla Model X), reading reviews and ultimately trying to decide which one would be the best for me. I was quite worried about the initial reviews of the Model X (not good!) and the Model S of course is one of the most loved cars of all-time.

It’s the big and the small details that really put Tesla in a league of its own. The responsiveness of the accelerator (no lag time) makes driving safer. The regenerative braking combined with standard anti-lock brakes allows the vehicle to stop more quickly than any other car. Overall the safety ratings for both Model S & Model X are as close to perfect as one could ask for. I’m driving my wife and baby around and safety and comfort is paramount. I love the sleek James Bond look of the Model S and also appreciate how insanely quiet the car is when driving.

If you’re reading reviews you’re already aware of how fast these cars are and how amazing it is that Tesla can “push” updates to the car, something that none of my other cars have ever been able to do. Even little things like the “frunk” (front trunk) on both cars is something that sets Tesla apart (I am often in San Francisco and having a very secure space to leave a laptop bag is very much appreciated). Other “nice to have” things like the door that opens as you walk up to your car, the music that starts playing where you left off as soon as you start to sit down, the automatic “hands-free" parallel parking feature, the hands-free voice controls that allow you to enter navigation items as specific as “the Safeway in the Marina District” without knowing the street name or address... I could go on and on and on.

In case you’re interested, I ended up buying the Model X (although the noisier cabin on the freeway was almost a deal-breaker for me). I needed the extra storage space for stroller, suitcases, skis, etc. and I preferred being a bit higher up on the road. I chose the 6-seat configuration which is strangely similar to a mini-van in terms of access and comfort… But from the outside and from the driver's seat, this car is more like a hybrid of a rocket ship & an ultra lux SUV.

One last feature that was pretty sweet was this referral link. By using referral code I was able to get free unlimited supercharging and even got $500 credit. If you are considering buying a Tesla, or if you just want a chance to race one of the new Tesla Semi’s, click ** and type in your email address. You’ll automatically be setup to get the best referral whenever you’re ready to buy your Tesla.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

This car is not made for northern climate. Although I keep my Model S in a heated garage, the windows all fog up within a few minutes of driving in the cold weather. The ventilation system is not capable of clearing the windshield quickly and have to wait 5 to 15 minutes before resuming drive. In addition, as many other owners have expressed, there is no "after sale service". Several calls and emails to the dealership are not returned and when I called and asked to speak to a manager, I was told that they don't have any managers!!! Not surprising there is no service, nobody is minding the store.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I’m 63 and I’ve owned several high end luxury cars in my lifetime. But there is no experience as amazing as my new 2017 Model S. The ride, the build quality, the radio and sound system all are amazing. Charges super fast and the ride is so quiet. I’ve only had it about 6 weeks but not a single problem. Comfortably seats my family of 5. Can’t believe how much I am enjoying this car. The experience from order to delivery is absolutely first class.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

In 2016 my Tesla Model S delivered with paint defect (front hood), missing side panel, only the latter was addressed at delivery but the former requires full repainting of hood. Noted in delivery but was asked for accept delivery as-is. During 2017, multiple door seams started coming off from the sides and had to be repaired in the shop. While it was being repaired as part of the first annual service, service center staff damaged front side door leather panel (scratched and cut) and left dried glue on the back body.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Ordered Tesla X and requested all season tires. Salesperson assured that the car will have all season tires. Got the order - did not say all season tires anywhere. Asked again that car will have all season tires - was assured of the same. A week later, salesperson called that they had an existing car with the specs we want for a better deal (it was a demo). Asked again about all season tires. Salesperson said "they could not confirm since car was on train". Got contacted 2-3 weeks later that car arrived. Asked again if the car has all season tires - the delivery center said they did not know (I presume the car was in the delivery center since they wanted us to come pick it up). Asked to please confirm that car has all season tires - 2 days later; got note that the car DOES NOT.

Asked if they could please put all season tires on the car. 1 day later message back that they do not have them in stock. Manager called to explain that "they don't know what tires are on the car until it shows up because that is how Tesla works". I have been buying cars for more than 25 years - even 25 years ago a salesperson could tell me what type of tires were on a car and would at least try and help me get the tires on. Tesla response - we don't have them, why don't you get them after market. I asked for credit, and they said no and that if I don't want the car I lose the $2,500 deposit. I will talk to my attorney about that.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Bought in May 2017 --- in shop for creaky motors, trunk does not open properly, creaks when braking. It was in the shop for all these reasons just a couple of months after purchase. When it came back, the trunk still did not open properly, the creaking lessened to a loud wheeze and then a new problem - the sensors in the doors are not ready for market - they are not smart - just robotic - so if I had something blocking me in spot A today, it resisters spot A as someplace it won't open -- stupid application of what was originally a smart idea. The manual override works but not all the time. The creaky motor and the rest of the experiment that is Model X made me wonder if I had bought a LEMON for all of $125 K. I realized we had when I had my first experience of what is known as "Sudden Unintended Acceleration" as I was slowing to a halt very nonchalantly at a signal.

The car SUDDENLY accelerated to a spooky pace and crashed into the Toyota truck in front. There was less than a car length between the 2 cars and the acceleration while dangerous resulted in a collision and nonlife threatening injuries. Tesla of course denies anything wrong with the car. They obviously can't admit anything wrong with their experiment. Both my husband and I have changed our cars. We both had Teslas. Mine is in the shop but we don't plan to get behind that wheel again. We may buy an electric car when it is tried and tested by a real car manufacturer and the technology is set in. No one wants to be in a car that just accelerates on its own. My first accident and it is NOT of my doing. Where are the institutions that are supposed to insist on better quality control and testing! I want my money back. I was sold a LEMON and this car is a public menace. Drivers beware!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Bought my Tesla S on September 30th 2017. Have not driven it much since I got it. Had problems installing my charger. So drive it for 300 miles and noticed the passenger front door and back passenger door did not line up. Then the passenger door behind the driver side the door handle stayed in unlock position while in the drive mode. Kept on hearing a grinding noise. Noticed the door handle was popped open. When placed in park, the door just pops open. It happened like this more than once. Then water moisture built up between the two doors. I called service and no one responded until a week past. Then it was too late and drove it to where I bought the car. No service manager or store manager on duty. Dropped off my car and they called me in a day that the car was ready. Not happy with car. Still have to pick it up and inspect it.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Tesla style Navigation for Mustang 2016 – Very cool, intelligent GPS navigation, and big screen for enjoying movie. Much more luxurious than other navigation. Android 6.0 system and use wifi, it looks like a small iPad, but can also calling and navigating and back view. Very nice. Good!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Tesla has the worst customer service I have ever experienced when it comes to cars. The few Tesla stores they have in Atlanta or its suburbs is only about selling their car but little help thereafter. Incompetent roadside service for emergency. The car does not even give the projected miles. It only gives 60 or at best 75 percent of the projected miles.

Superchargers are not readily available as they say when they sell the car. In remote areas you are lucky if you can find a regular Tesla charger that will take 8 hrs to fully charge your car. You have to be very careful with your mileage if planning long distance drive. I ordered online a touch up paint for a scratch on the door. They charged me right away online for the order but no word on the order or product even after a week.

I emailed them to check on the order twice but did not get a reply. I called them a few times to see if someone can help me for my online order but they kept transferring me from one person to another- ultimately to a voicemail that was full or to leave a message that no one calls you back on. I would not buy Tesla again and do not recommend it either unless they improve on their customer service and car mileage!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Purchased the Model X at the end of last year. Was a mistake getting the car, because the autopilot is a hazard to all drivers on the road, not just Tesla drivers. It has swerved in and out of lanes for no reason, slowed down abruptly for no reason, can't drive in a straight path on a straight road which causes car/motion sickness even for the driver, and the damn doors just don't operate properly.

Consumers are being used as data collection lab rats for autopilot. Tesla is not ready for public use of autopilot (AP), which is why their version of AP is "beta." If this is the case, consumers should NOT be charged for AP. There is no software or product that collects money for "beta" versions. Additionally, it should be deemed unsafe for public use until the FULL version is ready and available. I just hope no one dies from using AP. Then maybe, Elon will finally realize that no amount of money was worth saving to stop using Mobileye. What makes it worse is when the service rep is a complete ** who doesn't look to solve problems and instead wants to argue with you. Don in Buena Park is that guy, and he shouldn't have a job in any service related field. I wish nothing but hell for that guy as that's how he's treated me and that's the type of person he is.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I am disappointed that my 2015 Model S 70D does not stop on its own when it detects front end collision possibility. It just warns you with a dashboard STOP flashing. My Tesla does not have the drive itself option, but I feel this is a small piece of updating that should be standard. I have a 2017 Lexus RX 350 and it does stop on its own when I drive in the garage too close to something in front of it - standard safety feature. Sorry Tesla. Need to catch up.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I leased a Tesla S 60 2 months ago but before I picked it up they added new deal for less, they upgraded to 75 battery and included a glass roof and auto tailgate lift free. So I tried to cancel my order which by law was ok. So I told them to just upgrade to a 75 battery that was already in my care and mechanic said it would take only 5 minutes but Tesla said no. I said that all I want is a battery that is already in car. I emailed 5 big people in Tesla including Elon Musk they never responded and so called and then and they were very rude to me and said no, I AM VERY UNHAPPY so I will leave Tesla ASAP. Tesla needs to treat people much better.

Tesla Motors Company Information