2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5

The Subaru Outback is an SUV. Older models are station wagons. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Subaru Outback Reviews

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I recently hit a deer, and my 2014 Subaru Outback was totaled. Five airbags deployed, and I walked away without a scratch. A few days later, I purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback from Moe ** at Concordville Subaru. It was the best auto purchasing experience in my life; seamless and efficient. This review is twofold, first as a heartfelt thank you to the construction and safety of the Outback, and second, a big compliment to the sales department at Concordville Subaru.

Tom

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

The ride height. The smooth ride. The impeccable symmetrical AWD. The luxury options. The spacious interior. What’s not to like about a Subaru Outback. It’s the best of both worlds. An SUV and a full-size sedan in one. I couldn’t be any happier with my choice of vehicle and would certainly buy another. The only downside to this vehicle I would have to say is the fuel economy, this vehicle has always hovered around the 18-30mpg marker. SAD. But overall a great car, 11/10 would recommend.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

We bought this 2016 Subaru Outback in January 2016 and it had all the bells and whistles as we traded in our 2012 Mazda3 which we bought new as well but wanted something with all wheel drive for the mountains so we looked at Mazda's first but all the seats would not tilt (as I have back problems) so we looked at Subaru's next and the Outback stood out for all the technology we got for a great price. We love the way it sits so high with great visibility. I like the way it handles too. The only thing I wish was different is a mouse for the GPS/Radio screen. Trying to push on it and hitting a small spot while driving is treacherous.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Our Subaru Outback is a very good, well built vehicle that we have been very happy with. It is solid and almost impossible to get stuck, especially in the winter (with snow tires). Although it is classified as a station wagon, not an SVU, it's ability to haul stuff is amazing. I will probably never buy another Subaru however. Why? First, all the dealerships I deal with where I live are poor to awful. They treat their employees poorly and are very bottom line focused to the detriment of providing good service and a positive feeling when you buy a car from them. Second, they do not have an electric, environmental friendly vehicle available nor do I expect them to be able to easily catch up enough to be able to produce one.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

This car is perfect for us. It is easy to get into and out of for my husband. It has a very smooth ride which spares his back. The safety features are very good in terms of keeping you informed about what is going on around you. I actually feel that if we were in a crash, we would survive. Finally, with the collision braking, I am confident I won't run into anything or anyone. The warning of things coming up behind you is particularly useful. There are so many good features of this car which is so reasonably priced that it is difficult to list them all. Finally they have Starlink for emergencies and unlike other services of this type it is quite affordable. (three years $148). There's nothing I dislike about this car and I am picky!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

At only 50,000 miles, had to replace two front wheel bearings. At 105,000 miles, just out of warranty, had to replace the catalytic converter and the $8000 CVT Transmission! Then, just a bit later at 115,000 miles, another wheel bearing went bad. One of the worst vehicles I've ever owned - and I have had over 30 vehicles!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I purchased a 2011 Subaru Outback in March of last year. Upon purchase, I was not told of the impending transmission problems that almost every car of this make experiences. Now, I am up against a $1250 repair and Subaru is offering me no assistance with a problem that nearly every owner has experienced. I am disappointed to be left hanging like this with a problem that wasn’t a result of bad ownership but a faulty product. I was hoping that they would extend a good will warranty to me, or at least cover a portion of the cost, but they have stood firm against any help whatsoever. This certainly has shaken my faith in the brand, and I would suggest that everyone look further into specific problems with their make and model before buying a Subaru, because this isn’t the first time and it will not be the last.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

After much research and many excellent reviews I settled on a used 2013 Outback. After driving the car 500 miles I learned of a nasty OIL consumption issue with this model. Subaru claimed the only repair was $5500 short block replacement. This was an official recall however my mileage was just over the 125K thresh-hold. Subaru would not work with us.... not half price. Nothing. I did replace the short block issue on my own ($5000). After this major swap the puddle lights ($315) and catalytic converter ($1300) have since failed on this POS. And I'm going to have to pay for these new repairs.

I really used to love SUBARU's but there manufacturing woes and terrible customer service have swayed me to think they are a deadbeat company with no regard for its customers. I spent close to $17K on a used LEMON and could barely sell it for $10K. Yay! Super duper! Can you sense the sarcasm?! Subaru sucks. Take your time and money elsewhere. FIN.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Our 2018 Outback almost killed my husband. He was getting into the car (it was running) and just opened the door, when the car rolled back. He was pinned between the door and the garage frame and fortunately the he was able to roll into the garage. He hit so hard and landed on the side of his mountain bike (was inside the door) that it punched a hole through the wall. I came out to find him laying on the ground in the garage and the car sitting in my driveway just outside the garage. There is a natural slope and it was stopped where it levels off. The door ended up being caught on the frame of the garage and opened all the way and then some before slamming back. The door is not functional and it damaged the front quarter panel as well as the driver door.

This is my 3rd outback and I am beyond horrified of this car! We have had nothing but problems from it since we have had it and I am ready to get rid of this one! Do not buy this year! There was a recall on an earlier year outback automatic transmissions as they were doing the same thing, rolling when in park. This car could have killed him and he is fortunate he was able to get away from the car and the frame. Of course Subaru did their testing on the vehicle and it's a miracle! Nothing is wrong! I am calling an attorney and seeking further action. After researching I have found this is not the first time the transmission has done something to this extent.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Great vehicle, handling, powerful Smooth (6cyl), mileage 28+, quiet. BUT..Concerned about the CVT transmission longevity (not made by Subaru). Understand they are made by the same maker as in the Nissan. Not a good reputation for reliability.

Subaru Outback Company Information