2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

The Subaru Outback is an SUV. Older models are station wagons. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Subaru Outback Reviews

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

The ride height. The smooth ride. The impeccable symmetrical AWD. The luxury options. The spacious interior. What’s not to like about a Subaru Outback. It’s the best of both worlds. An SUV and a full-size sedan in one. I couldn’t be any happier with my choice of vehicle and would certainly buy another. The only downside to this vehicle I would have to say is the fuel economy, this vehicle has always hovered around the 18-30mpg marker. SAD. But overall a great car, 11/10 would recommend.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

We bought this 2016 Subaru Outback in January 2016 and it had all the bells and whistles as we traded in our 2012 Mazda3 which we bought new as well but wanted something with all wheel drive for the mountains so we looked at Mazda's first but all the seats would not tilt (as I have back problems) so we looked at Subaru's next and the Outback stood out for all the technology we got for a great price. We love the way it sits so high with great visibility. I like the way it handles too. The only thing I wish was different is a mouse for the GPS/Radio screen. Trying to push on it and hitting a small spot while driving is treacherous.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Our Subaru Outback is a very good, well built vehicle that we have been very happy with. It is solid and almost impossible to get stuck, especially in the winter (with snow tires). Although it is classified as a station wagon, not an SVU, it's ability to haul stuff is amazing. I will probably never buy another Subaru however. Why? First, all the dealerships I deal with where I live are poor to awful. They treat their employees poorly and are very bottom line focused to the detriment of providing good service and a positive feeling when you buy a car from them. Second, they do not have an electric, environmental friendly vehicle available nor do I expect them to be able to easily catch up enough to be able to produce one.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

RE: 2017 Subaru Outback. I was most impressed at this car's ability to climb a steep hill from a dead stop. Unlike 4 wheel drive trucks that have a low range transmission choice, this car does not have that low range but it doesn't seem to have any problem climbing. Continuously Variable Transmission & the best All Wheel Drive system are the reason I'm sure. It's a nice comfortable car too. Gets good fuel mileage too. This is a great car.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

This car is perfect for us. It is easy to get into and out of for my husband. It has a very smooth ride which spares his back. The safety features are very good in terms of keeping you informed about what is going on around you. I actually feel that if we were in a crash, we would survive. Finally, with the collision braking, I am confident I won't run into anything or anyone. The warning of things coming up behind you is particularly useful. There are so many good features of this car which is so reasonably priced that it is difficult to list them all. Finally they have Starlink for emergencies and unlike other services of this type it is quite affordable. (three years $148). There's nothing I dislike about this car and I am picky!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

After much research and many excellent reviews I settled on a used 2013 Outback. After driving the car 500 miles I learned of a nasty OIL consumption issue with this model. Subaru claimed the only repair was $5500 short block replacement. This was an official recall however my mileage was just over the 125K thresh-hold. Subaru would not work with us.... not half price. Nothing. I did replace the short block issue on my own ($5000). After this major swap the puddle lights ($315) and catalytic converter ($1300) have since failed on this POS. And I'm going to have to pay for these new repairs.

I really used to love SUBARU's but there manufacturing woes and terrible customer service have swayed me to think they are a deadbeat company with no regard for its customers. I spent close to $17K on a used LEMON and could barely sell it for $10K. Yay! Super duper! Can you sense the sarcasm?! Subaru sucks. Take your time and money elsewhere. FIN.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Our 2018 Outback almost killed my husband. He was getting into the car (it was running) and just opened the door, when the car rolled back. He was pinned between the door and the garage frame and fortunately the he was able to roll into the garage. He hit so hard and landed on the side of his mountain bike (was inside the door) that it punched a hole through the wall. I came out to find him laying on the ground in the garage and the car sitting in my driveway just outside the garage. There is a natural slope and it was stopped where it levels off. The door ended up being caught on the frame of the garage and opened all the way and then some before slamming back. The door is not functional and it damaged the front quarter panel as well as the driver door.

This is my 3rd outback and I am beyond horrified of this car! We have had nothing but problems from it since we have had it and I am ready to get rid of this one! Do not buy this year! There was a recall on an earlier year outback automatic transmissions as they were doing the same thing, rolling when in park. This car could have killed him and he is fortunate he was able to get away from the car and the frame. Of course Subaru did their testing on the vehicle and it's a miracle! Nothing is wrong! I am calling an attorney and seeking further action. After researching I have found this is not the first time the transmission has done something to this extent.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Great vehicle, handling, powerful Smooth (6cyl), mileage 28+, quiet. BUT..Concerned about the CVT transmission longevity (not made by Subaru). Understand they are made by the same maker as in the Nissan. Not a good reputation for reliability.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Reasonably good car, the issues I've had were battery failure, the dealer replaced it. The fuel gauge is inaccurate, even after a recall, I refill early to keep fuel from running out, and finally, the car cuts out after filling the fuel tank, apparently due to pressure buildup. Not a issue in the winter, just summer. Dealer could not solve.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Reliable performer in all weather conditions, comfortable, safe, holds value. Good driving position and visibility. Very good gas mileage. Roomy area with back seat down or up. Body style holds up over the years.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Subaru Outback Company Information