2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

The Subaru Outback is an SUV. Older models are station wagons. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Subaru Outback Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

We ordered the Outback 3.6R NEW due to its alleged reliability. When the car was delivered there were cracks in the steel on both driver and passenger front window frame posts. We found this days after we got the car home. I had to be brought back and re-welded. Now at 40K miles, we have all the dash warning lights on, including the check engine light. I have only owned Toyotas and I have never had any problems with them. I tried Subaru. Unfortunately I will be returning to Toyota.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

At only 50,000 miles, had to replace two front wheel bearings. At 105,000 miles, just out of warranty, had to replace the catalytic converter and the $8000 CVT Transmission! Then, just a bit later at 115,000 miles, another wheel bearing went bad. One of the worst vehicles I've ever owned - and I have had over 30 vehicles!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I recently hit a deer, and my 2014 Subaru Outback was totaled. Five airbags deployed, and I walked away without a scratch. A few days later, I purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback from Moe ** at Concordville Subaru. It was the best auto purchasing experience in my life; seamless and efficient. This review is twofold, first as a heartfelt thank you to the construction and safety of the Outback, and second, a big compliment to the sales department at Concordville Subaru.

Tom

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I purchased a 2011 Subaru Outback in March of last year. Upon purchase, I was not told of the impending transmission problems that almost every car of this make experiences. Now, I am up against a $1250 repair and Subaru is offering me no assistance with a problem that nearly every owner has experienced. I am disappointed to be left hanging like this with a problem that wasn’t a result of bad ownership but a faulty product. I was hoping that they would extend a good will warranty to me, or at least cover a portion of the cost, but they have stood firm against any help whatsoever. This certainly has shaken my faith in the brand, and I would suggest that everyone look further into specific problems with their make and model before buying a Subaru, because this isn’t the first time and it will not be the last.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

After much research and many excellent reviews I settled on a used 2013 Outback. After driving the car 500 miles I learned of a nasty OIL consumption issue with this model. Subaru claimed the only repair was $5500 short block replacement. This was an official recall however my mileage was just over the 125K thresh-hold. Subaru would not work with us.... not half price. Nothing. I did replace the short block issue on my own ($5000). After this major swap the puddle lights ($315) and catalytic converter ($1300) have since failed on this POS. And I'm going to have to pay for these new repairs.

I really used to love SUBARU's but there manufacturing woes and terrible customer service have swayed me to think they are a deadbeat company with no regard for its customers. I spent close to $17K on a used LEMON and could barely sell it for $10K. Yay! Super duper! Can you sense the sarcasm?! Subaru sucks. Take your time and money elsewhere. FIN.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Our 2018 Outback almost killed my husband. He was getting into the car (it was running) and just opened the door, when the car rolled back. He was pinned between the door and the garage frame and fortunately the he was able to roll into the garage. He hit so hard and landed on the side of his mountain bike (was inside the door) that it punched a hole through the wall. I came out to find him laying on the ground in the garage and the car sitting in my driveway just outside the garage. There is a natural slope and it was stopped where it levels off. The door ended up being caught on the frame of the garage and opened all the way and then some before slamming back. The door is not functional and it damaged the front quarter panel as well as the driver door.

This is my 3rd outback and I am beyond horrified of this car! We have had nothing but problems from it since we have had it and I am ready to get rid of this one! Do not buy this year! There was a recall on an earlier year outback automatic transmissions as they were doing the same thing, rolling when in park. This car could have killed him and he is fortunate he was able to get away from the car and the frame. Of course Subaru did their testing on the vehicle and it's a miracle! Nothing is wrong! I am calling an attorney and seeking further action. After researching I have found this is not the first time the transmission has done something to this extent.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

The ride height. The smooth ride. The impeccable symmetrical AWD. The luxury options. The spacious interior. What’s not to like about a Subaru Outback. It’s the best of both worlds. An SUV and a full-size sedan in one. I couldn’t be any happier with my choice of vehicle and would certainly buy another. The only downside to this vehicle I would have to say is the fuel economy, this vehicle has always hovered around the 18-30mpg marker. SAD. But overall a great car, 11/10 would recommend.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Great vehicle, handling, powerful Smooth (6cyl), mileage 28+, quiet. BUT..Concerned about the CVT transmission longevity (not made by Subaru). Understand they are made by the same maker as in the Nissan. Not a good reputation for reliability.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Reasonably good car, the issues I've had were battery failure, the dealer replaced it. The fuel gauge is inaccurate, even after a recall, I refill early to keep fuel from running out, and finally, the car cuts out after filling the fuel tank, apparently due to pressure buildup. Not a issue in the winter, just summer. Dealer could not solve.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Reliable performer in all weather conditions, comfortable, safe, holds value. Good driving position and visibility. Very good gas mileage. Roomy area with back seat down or up. Body style holds up over the years.

Subaru Outback Company Information