Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
3.36/5
Based on 28 reviews that contain star ratings

Subaru Outback

The Subaru Outback is an SUV. Older models are station wagons. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

28 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

2011 Subaru outback CVT failure at 114 miles. Expensive fix equivalent to blue book value of car. Other than that the car has performed very well. Due to expense I would have given the car a 1 star rating except the local dealer (Subaru of Nashville) has bent over backwards to help. Personally I think the early CVT transmission should be recalled... certainly a safety hazard... and no repair should be so expensive. I will be trading my CVT transmission for manual transmission but stick with Subaru, because at 60 years old I've never has as good experience with dealership as I have with Subaru of Nashville.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased our 6th Subaru, an Outback, new in 2013. In 5 years we’ve put 126,000 miles on it. It’s maintained scrupulously by the dealer. After 2 years the oil light began to appear about halfway through the oil change interval. I learned to keep a bottle of oil in the trunk. The dealer tried to assure me it was normal for cars to use up oil between changes. This week a clicking noise started while the car was in motion. The dealer said the noise comes from the transmission and will cost $7,400 to replace it. An independent garage in town confirmed the diagnosis and will replace the transmission with a Subaru factory rebuilt transmission for $5,500. Needless to say I’m disappointed with Subaru. We normally drive our cars for 8-10 years or about 200,000 miles. I have not attempted to contact Subaru because the car is beyond their new extended warranty.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My wife's 2013 Crosstrek has used a quart of oil every 1,000 miles since it was new. Now it's out of warranty and there is a class-action lawsuit regarding the issue. I bought a new 2018 Outback with a 2.5 liter engine, not the smaller 2.0 liter engine that the Crosstrek uses. And it's been in the shop 5 times for the same "popping" problem and it's still not fixed. I've contacted Subaru of America four times and they just string you along hoping you'll give up. No resolution from them, either. I should have spent a bit more and bought a Honda CRV or a Toyota RAV4. What a mistake buying another Subaru was. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We bought a new 2018 this year and have had nothing but problems Bluetooth radio defective... Radio blares, can't shut off or turn down Blue tooth system defective. Have gotten nowhere with dealership. (Burke Motors in Cape May county NJ) or Subaru! Now we need to call lawyer. This is a lemon and we found out Subaru KNEW about issues and sent cars to dealerships anyway. I thought Subaru was a reputable company but they are HORRIBLE to deal with.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

2016 Subaru Outback began idling rough about 6 months ago. It would vibrate violently when stopped at a stop light or any other stop position. The 2016 Subaru Outback is still in warranty and the car spent 16 visits to the dealership for review and diagnosis. They took my money and Subaru couldn't contribute any assistance as they rely on dealership for diagnosis. The experience was exhausting reaching out to corp then to different dealerships. Subaru corp offer $1000 toward a new vehicle, which doesn't cover a fraction of damages and expenses or loss on vehicle. I sold the 2016 Subaru as it was not reliable and took a $10k loss on the car. Subaru warranty is of no value if they can't diagnose the issue. I realize this is a lemon but Subaru didn't care. Subaru could work on customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I bought my 2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i 6 months ago from a used car dealership. I have been so impressed with this vehicle and have been so excited driving it through Montana. But now, I am started to have transmission issues. I took it to a shop and they stated it was an issues with the CVT transmission. He's seen this issue a lot with these vehicles and there is currently an extended warranty on the transmission. MY car falls right out of the mileage range by 20,000 miles.

When I called Subaru to get my case started the lady on the phone was rude and laughed at me when I was pleading my case. I'm a new professional in a field that doesn't pay much, and a recent college graduate. I cannot afford a new transmission. I bought a Subaru because they are reliable cars and my family has had them before and drove them to about 400,000 miles without significant issues. This CVT transmission is a huge significant issue and does not need to be just an extended warranty, this needs to be a total recall since it affects 2010- 2015 models of Outbacks.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I am (now was) an owner of a 2012 Subaru Outback with the 2.5L boxer engine. I was a very enthusiastic and loyal customer and meticulous about maintenance of this vehicle. I started to notice once the Outback hit about 80K miles, it started burning oil, about 1 quart between oil changes. I then started using synthetic oil and changing every 5K mi vs every 7.5K per the owners manual. When it hit around 115K miles, when you started it, it sounded like a box of rocks tumbling around inside the hood for the first few minutes.

At 125K miles it blew a head gasket. I was very taken aback not only for having to spend the $2K to fix it, but for being suckered into all of the advertising about Subaru reliability, folks passing the car down to their kids, etc., etc. I started asking around and discovered at least 4 other people I knew or friends of friends that had the same issue- one poor guy at 80K miles! I went straight to a Honda dealer and traded it in on a new CRV. I don’t know what happened to the Subies but in researching this issue it seems even the newer model years are still having oil consumption issues, so Subaru- better get your act together or you risk losing your small but loyal following.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Tomorrow is my daughter's first day to college in second year. I bought her a 2010 Subaru Outback from a Gilman Subaru dealer for her use in college, she was very excited. Last Saturday she drove the Outback to school from Houston to San Antonio, at a point about 30 minutes to her college on the freeway, the Outback made an explosion sound, stall with a lot of steam coming out of the car. She pulled over to the side on the freeway, called roadside assistance in tears. A tow truck came over in about an hour towed the car to a Midas shop.

The shop said the radiator is broken, and some other parts need to replaced. Total cost to repair is $9950, and the shop don't have the radiator part, need to wait for the part to come. She don't have a transportation to go the college for her first school day tomorrow, and don't know where to get the money to have the car repaired. She called me in tears, said Subaru is her first car, and it is the last! Quite a tragic experience for a young college student. I am sure it will scar her for her whole life.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We purchased our 2017 Outback brand new last year The Bridgestone tires that came with the car list as a 40 thousand mile tire The tires were worn out at 24 thousand miles. We have the full maintenance program through Subaru and the tires were rotated with every oil change. Subaru dealership said this was a common complaint but it was Subaru corporation's problem, not the dealership's. If this tire is a 30 thousand mile tire then Subaru should list it that way.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The auto repair place had just finished going over this 2002 Subaru Outback, and I got it for $1,000 off the asking price. I can see over the front end as to where it is, so I don't have to just hope I know where it is. There is a fin on the trunk in the back, and it is difficult to see through when backing up, so I would rather it not be there. But the rest of the car works well and has many features I have never had before.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Overall I have been happy with my Subaru Outback. It works well in snow because of its all wheel drive feature. I don't need to put chains when conditions are bad as long as I have studded traction tires on all four wheels. I chose this model for this reason. I have not had any trouble with it except for having to top off the oil more often compared with other cars I have owned. This seems to be a disadvantage that cannot be solved as I have tried having it fixed without success. With other cars I have owned, I have not needed to top off the oil between oil changes.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I did not go out looking to buy a Subaru, but after test driving everything else it changed my mind. Great gas mileage, good value, reliable, we are all tall and it is comfortable, use it for going to our cabin and it does great in the snow. While we do not regret buying the Subaru Outback, there are things that aren't perfect. The metal of the body dents really easily. I have to be very choosy about where I park. The headlights are foggy and the paint job on my car was not a good one. But overall it is a good car. I like the price, the looks, the ride and the reputation.

Original review: June 13, 2018

When it was time to replace my Honda Accord with 266 k miles on it, I thought I wanted a Volvo so I went to their showroom. Subaru's showroom was being refurbished so they were displaying their models in the same showroom. I test drove both makes and then I investigated other makes and models. And I chose the Subaru Outback for its safety and dependability record.

I LOVE the EyeSight features: lane alert, blind spot alert, and auto stop when cruise control is on. You don't realize how often you drift out of your lane until you experience this alarm option... especially when you reach around looking for something in your care or changing radio stations, music, or answering your phone. As I age I know I will appreciate all the safety features of the EyeSight option even more. Love the Bluetooth phone feature as well. But I HATE the way the headrests push your head forward. I know the insurance industry succeeded in having stricter headrest standards but it hurts my neck muscles & messes up my hair. But overall, the Subaru Outback is so far so good. I would purchase again.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The Subaru Outback is durable, comfortable, reliable, and can get through just about any kind of weather you can imagine. The car is also really spacious both in the seating area and in the trunk, making the car great for long trips in which people in the car are going to want to get comfortable. I also like the interior design. As a musician, the large trunk and ample storage space is awesome because it makes transporting instruments (especially the big ones like my drum set) to and from other locations for practicing to be a hundred times easier than it has been with the cars that I've had access to prior to this vehicle. It takes a bit too long for the heaters to warm up though and additionally for the back seats to heat up. I also don't LOVE the material that the seats are made out of and the exterior design feels like its kind of similar to other models of Subaru.

Original review: May 9, 2018

The 2016 Subaru Outback is a reliable, comfortable (not luxurious) vehicle with outstanding safety and utility features. It has large cargo space, seats fold offering more, roof rack is functional for anything you might want to carry (I have a kayak) and great heated seats in back and front. I added a sunroof and side moldings; very satisfied. An outstanding value for the money. Subaru is also responsive to the feedback of drivers. But the Bluetooth function for phone use and apps is one of two disappointments; the phone quality is fair/poor for the listener, phone does not chime when texts come in while in running car, texts made by dictation into the phone while in running car are jumbled and do not reflect what was dictated. The other disappointment is the factory installed remote start; you need to be close to the vehicle for it to start and it turns off when you open the car door. I would recommend a Viper as an aftermarket purchase by a reputable installer.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have owned my car for over 2 years and often -- and still -- spontaneously think "I love this car." I like the size for my lifestyle, I like my upgraded interior, I like the price I paid, my dealership, the independent repair shop I use with this car, how comfortable it is one long trips (eg Salem to Seattle)...and I like my Subaru Outback.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Subaru Outback - Two things I would change, where the driver keeps your feet is cramped, the tranny forces you to keep your right foot at an angle instead straight ahead. This becomes a big problem on long trips, in fact downright painful. I find my ankle and heal start to hurt around 5 hours. And the little engine is a little under powered. I'm used to something a good deal more powerful, but am enjoying the cheap gas consumption. I have to go over the Pocono mountains a lot, and all told they aren't all that large, and I find the motor strains a tad on the steeper slopes.

Original review: May 4, 2018

One can appreciate the sure-footedness of the Subaru Outback's all-wheel drive in both mountain driving and in rainy sub-tropical regions. The Outback is also reasonably comfortable for longer trips, and is as comfortable as any vehicle for all-day driving and much more comfortable than many, including luxury vehicles costing twice as much. This is our second Outback (Subaru Outback 2013). When its day is done and it's time to replace it, we may opt for a third Outback.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I could not had wished for more from a vehicle. Subaru Outback does not look like a pregnant cow or a square obtuse rectangle like most SUVs. The design lines are really clean. It has wonderful seats that are truly comfortable with adjustable lumbar and heated seats that is wonderful in the winter. The seats can be programmed to remember the different drivers too. The rear back up warning sensors and cameras along with the viewing screen are awesome. It is spacious enough for a very tall person to be comfortable. The StarLink online diagnosis capability is wonderful to have for constant diagnosis and in the event of a breakdown or accident someone will know quickly. The sound system is perfect. The rear seats are comfortable with air and heating and they lay down for additional cargo space if needed. The rear automatic hatch and the cargo area is a plus and has plenty of room. Gotta Love My Subaru!

Original review: May 2, 2018

Outback answers needs for reliable and spacious interior, plus legendary Subaru quality and service! Self driving features are great additions to an already competent design!

Original review: April 30, 2018

2 big disappointments on Subaru Outback: 17" spare tire doesn't match 18" tires sold with the car, and the "power locks" DO NOT lock automatically in gear or when rolling.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The safety aspect assured me this Outback was the right car. Great mileage and most Subarus bought 10-15 years ago are still on the road. All wheel drive and you can haul things too.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Subaru Legacy Outback - This is my second Subaru. The first one had 200,000 before it was time for a new car. This one has 118,000 miles and still going strong. But I had to replace an axle, exhaust and wheel bearings, at different times. I will definitely buy another Subaru when the time comes.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I purchased my 2008 Subaru Outback in 2011, after it was turned in from a 3 year lease. It had only 20K miles on it and was in perfect condition. Gas mileage isn't great, but the trade-off for that is that it has gotten me through several harsh Montana winters with nary a problem. The car is so well made that I'm sure it will still be going long after I have left this mortal coil. I have never regretted buying it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The 2017 Outback is a comfortable, roomy, economical and attractive vehicle for daily use and trips. When you add its bad weather and off-road capabilities, it becomes in a class by itself!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

We are Seniors and have bought cars since 1960. Bar none. Subaru 2013 Outback is the BEST and most dependable car we have ever owned. The car is 4 years old and looks like it just came off the lot! Also, after 4 years of ZERO care other than Maintenance and tires and a battery there has been no additional cost. After driving Cadillacs (2 at a time) for years we never knew it was possible to have no repair costs. Other family members are now purchasing their own Subarus for themselves based upon our rating.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I think I got one of the few troublesome Subarus made. I have it serviced at the dealer. I complain. They say everything is fine. I call it the gutless wonder. Other friends who have 4 bangers are surprised at the poor handling and slow to accelerate car. It is very noisy inside, lots of rattles, very disappointed. I have read owners' complaints and comments online. Apparently there are major problems down the line with the Outbacks. I have the start of the said problems. I am just hoping the problem can be fixed before my extended warranty expires in 2017! I also don't get better than 23 mpg combined in the base model, and I am careful because I am cheap. I wish it was better.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

I'm 63 years of age and suffered a stroke but can still drive. The safety features, i.e., Eyesight, back up, area and blindside cameras are a great help. The power lift gate very useful in loading and unloading items. Very comfortable seats for long distance drives and great convenient features like navigation, bluetooth phone, siriusXM radio and much more for a very competitive price. Value, All wheel drive, reliability and fuel economy were major considerations for selecting a Subaru Outback.

Subaru Outback Company Information