3.9/5 (262 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Subaru Outback

The Subaru Outback is an SUV. Older models are station wagons. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Subaru Outback Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?

Original review: June 3, 2022

I'm an owner of 3 Subaru outbacks. Past 2 did not have much problem. My recent Subaru Outback Wilderness (less than a year with low mileage) Battery Died. I guess it was a lemon & took it to dealer & they did not perform any diagnostic check on why it died & simply recharged the battery. So, I contacted Subaru Customer Advocacy dept & explained all my problems. They assured me it will be fixed or at a minimum battery will be replaced. At the new Subaru dealer, my car was kept for almost a day, findings were battery was weak & they recharged it. I tried to contact the Customer Advocacy dept again but did not get a response. I'm now nervous on when & where my battery will be dead again.

A brand new car owner should not have such experiences. Based on my investigation, Subaru does have a known Battery problem & there is a pending class action lawsuit pending on it. FYI. So, if you owned a Subaru, pray that there are no issues with it, if you have one, they'll make you run around the dealer & customer advocacy dept without resolving the problem. No more Subarus for me....

Original review: May 1, 2022

UPDATED 6/24/2022: First off Subaru claims to be this great family company. They claim they donate over 140 million dollars in donation to pet homeless and a few others. I brought my brand new car in that has a weak windshield (broke at 30 mph, broke at 45 mph and third time it broke we were barely taking off from a red light and a pebble broke it again), faulty cheap parts ( coolant pump) that go out in the middle of the highway. The passenger window rolls up halfway before rolling back down automatically and my dash turning on and off at will.

When you look up issues with the car, thousand and thousands of complaints about the same issues but Subaru acts like it a one I a million thing. They tell me it never happens and I just got the one in a million car with issues. Subaru can supposedly donate over 140 million but can’t take responsibility for their cheap parts in their cars. I wish we could start a class action and have them refund everyone with faulty vehicles. I will never buy from Subaru ever again. Bad company that sold out and now has a bad product. How can you be safe in a car when the windshield will crack if you fart in its direction?

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I bought a brand new 2020 Outback in 2020. I put less than 20k miles on it and my windshield has broke twice, my dash turns on and off at will and it can’t connect or drops my phone connection even if plugged in. I have complained and took it in multiple times but they pretend I am crazy and my car is the best type of vehicle on the road. I have been reading more and more content on how poorly these cars are made and how the company treats the people buying them. Why do we need a lawsuit to get what we paid for? I just want a working car with a safe windshield.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I bought a pristine 2003 Subaru Outback for my 18 year old grandson. Subaru's reputation for saving lives does live up to its claim. He was coming home from school, went around a turn, 1/2 mile from our house, hit gravel, he overcorrected and hit a small tree which in turn the car rolled on to the driver side where it came to rest. He climbed out through the passenger side. Thankfully, he only wound up with a few scratches and a lot of bruising, and hurt pride and ego. The car was totaled but did protect him from seriously getting hurt or even worse. I have three other Subarus and will be get him another Subaru. Thank you Subaru.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

We ordered the Outback 3.6R NEW due to its alleged reliability. When the car was delivered there were cracks in the steel on both driver and passenger front window frame posts. We found this days after we got the car home. I had to be brought back and re-welded. Now at 40K miles, we have all the dash warning lights on, including the check engine light. I have only owned Toyotas and I have never had any problems with them. I tried Subaru. Unfortunately I will be returning to Toyota.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

At only 50,000 miles, had to replace two front wheel bearings. At 105,000 miles, just out of warranty, had to replace the catalytic converter and the $8000 CVT Transmission! Then, just a bit later at 115,000 miles, another wheel bearing went bad. One of the worst vehicles I've ever owned - and I have had over 30 vehicles!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I recently hit a deer, and my 2014 Subaru Outback was totaled. Five airbags deployed, and I walked away without a scratch. A few days later, I purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback from Moe ** at Concordville Subaru. It was the best auto purchasing experience in my life; seamless and efficient. This review is twofold, first as a heartfelt thank you to the construction and safety of the Outback, and second, a big compliment to the sales department at Concordville Subaru.

Tom

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I purchased a 2011 Subaru Outback in March of last year. Upon purchase, I was not told of the impending transmission problems that almost every car of this make experiences. Now, I am up against a $1250 repair and Subaru is offering me no assistance with a problem that nearly every owner has experienced. I am disappointed to be left hanging like this with a problem that wasn’t a result of bad ownership but a faulty product. I was hoping that they would extend a good will warranty to me, or at least cover a portion of the cost, but they have stood firm against any help whatsoever. This certainly has shaken my faith in the brand, and I would suggest that everyone look further into specific problems with their make and model before buying a Subaru, because this isn’t the first time and it will not be the last.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

After much research and many excellent reviews I settled on a used 2013 Outback. After driving the car 500 miles I learned of a nasty OIL consumption issue with this model. Subaru claimed the only repair was $5500 short block replacement. This was an official recall however my mileage was just over the 125K thresh-hold. Subaru would not work with us.... not half price. Nothing. I did replace the short block issue on my own ($5000). After this major swap the puddle lights ($315) and catalytic converter ($1300) have since failed on this POS. And I'm going to have to pay for these new repairs.

I really used to love SUBARU's but there manufacturing woes and terrible customer service have swayed me to think they are a deadbeat company with no regard for its customers. I spent close to $17K on a used LEMON and could barely sell it for $10K. Yay! Super duper! Can you sense the sarcasm?! Subaru sucks. Take your time and money elsewhere. FIN.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Our 2018 Outback almost killed my husband. He was getting into the car (it was running) and just opened the door, when the car rolled back. He was pinned between the door and the garage frame and fortunately the he was able to roll into the garage. He hit so hard and landed on the side of his mountain bike (was inside the door) that it punched a hole through the wall. I came out to find him laying on the ground in the garage and the car sitting in my driveway just outside the garage. There is a natural slope and it was stopped where it levels off. The door ended up being caught on the frame of the garage and opened all the way and then some before slamming back. The door is not functional and it damaged the front quarter panel as well as the driver door.

This is my 3rd outback and I am beyond horrified of this car! We have had nothing but problems from it since we have had it and I am ready to get rid of this one! Do not buy this year! There was a recall on an earlier year outback automatic transmissions as they were doing the same thing, rolling when in park. This car could have killed him and he is fortunate he was able to get away from the car and the frame. Of course Subaru did their testing on the vehicle and it's a miracle! Nothing is wrong! I am calling an attorney and seeking further action. After researching I have found this is not the first time the transmission has done something to this extent.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

The ride height. The smooth ride. The impeccable symmetrical AWD. The luxury options. The spacious interior. What’s not to like about a Subaru Outback. It’s the best of both worlds. An SUV and a full-size sedan in one. I couldn’t be any happier with my choice of vehicle and would certainly buy another. The only downside to this vehicle I would have to say is the fuel economy, this vehicle has always hovered around the 18-30mpg marker. SAD. But overall a great car, 11/10 would recommend.

Subaru Outback Company Information