3.78/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru Outback

The Subaru Outback is an SUV. Older models are station wagons. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

38 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

We have a 2017 Subaru Outback that we are having to replace the engine in. We live in NC and the car broke down in UT on the side of the road. Had to have it towed 125 miles to dealership. They wanted $7500 to repair. Had it towed again to another shop and they suggested replacing motor. Still $4500, plus shipping the car back to NC. This car has 80,000 miles on in and needs a new engine? I thought they were supposed to last 200,000 miles! What a joke!

Original review: June 8, 2019

When my wife asked me what car she should drive to replace her 2012 Toyota Corolla S which lack clearance and power, I suggested a 6 cylinder Outback. Subaru stood behind my 2013 Outback when an oil consumption problem developed. It has been two months and my wife has been very happy with the overall performance of the car. An added bonus, the driver assist features are making us better drivers! Happy wife=happy husband.

Raul

Bakersfield California

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I've taken in my 2016 WRX cause it wants to stop when slow down to an idle. The tech said it was cause my oil was 3 months old. So I changed my oil prematurely. As it was synthetic that did little but cost early oil change. It still wants to stop. I'll take it in again. He will probably tell me my carpet is dirty, it's gonna cost me $100 to diagnose. Will see.

Original review: March 9, 2019

My CVT transmission starting failing at 117K miles on my 2013 Outback. Subaru wants $7600 for a re-manufactured transmission. Book value on the car is only $7500. Subaru's Customer Care response is "Too bad for you. We'll give you $1000 to use toward a new Subaru." No thanks. Never again. They obviously know there are 1000's of issues with these transmissions, but they extended warranty to 100K miles instead of doing a recall. The average failure was projected at 94K miles and mine was on the higher end so I'm out of luck. The fix will cost more than the car will be worth if I got it repaired. I guess a return customer (or any other customer) doesn't matter. Looks like my Subaru is worthless at 118K. Russ. Connecticut.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I am writing to express my concern regarding the quality of the Subaru Outback windshield. On December 21, 2018 I purchased my first Subaru. It is a 2019 Subaru Outback Limited. On January 11,2019 a rock hit my windshield and immediately cracked beyond the point it could be repaired. Because it was obstructing my view I had to have the entire windshield replaced.

On February 15,2019, four days after the windshield was replaced, another rock chip that immediately cracked to a size larger than a dollar bill, beyond repair. I had expected better from the Subaru brand. I decided to purchase a Subaru Outback for the quality and reliability. However after experiencing the poor windshield quality, I may not purchase another Subaru.

For a little background, I have had the same commute for over ten years. With other vehicles I have experienced rock chips, which I have been able to get repaired and never had to replace the windshield. I have driven lesser quality and less reliable vehicles and have never had to incur the out of pocket cost that I have with the Subaru Outback with 3 months of ownership. To put this in perspective, the cost of one windshield replacement equals the cost of one month of daycare for a toddler, one year of auto and homeowner’s insurance or two Epi Pens. This expense goes far beyond the annual routine maintenance I expect to pay on any vehicle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

2019 Subaru Outback 3.6r limited - The navigation systems has not worked since I bought the car. They even replaced unit in order for me to get directions to an addresses in Arizona from my home in Minnesota. It takes over 45 then the system times out. Have done all the updates etc. Still no good. Don’t waste your money on the Subaru navigation system. Worst thing I have ever seen. Per dealer and Subaru this is the way it works.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Was at a stop light when two cars crashed into each other forcing one car directly back into me severely damaging my hood and front grill. Fortunately my airbags did not employ but now I wish they did so they could potentially deem the car totaled. Had my 2011 Outback repaired then one issue led to another. Constant variable transmission (CVT) problems (could have recalled if I had less than 100K miles but I had 120K) after then radiator and overheating issues now a head gasket. All to the tune of $5500 within one year! And this was after I just paid off the car! With this experience, I will not buy another Subaru.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

We purchased a new Subaru Outback and although the car is nice the problems just keep on coming. First the hatch would not close. I am sure most dealers wouldn't have believed me, my dealer said he wouldn't if he didn't see the problem with his own eyes. The hatch would get close to closing and then raise back up. The problem kept happening until finally they replaced some sensors. Then the sunroof wouldn't close until you held your hand on the button all the way. Again it would get close and then open back up. Finally they fixed that problem.

Now water is draining into the passenger floor. Took to the dealer and they tried to say it was debris in the reserve or something. Regardless of what it is have never had the water actually drain INTO THE CAR, with any other vehicle I have owned. There are trees in the world and Subaru knows they have a design flaw and are leaving it to the dealerships to develop bad relation with their customers over this. I can probably fix the problem on my own but, my 75 year old mother couldn't. One hundred and fifty to fix each time?? This is my first and last Subaru I will own.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This is a beautiful absolutely wonderful car, except, it is getting about 15 mpg city. After driving less than 100 miles, I've used almost a half tank. It seemed a little poor at first, but now it's just awful. Dealer says nothing is wrong. I have a lemon. I have never been so conscious of how much gas I'm using. Even my 2013 Volkswagen gets better mpg.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have a Subaru Outback (2011). It got to 101000 miles and started acting unusual (shuddering, jerking when shifting. It is a CVT really, and when it does that shifting thing there is what seems to be a belt squeal). I called Subaru. They were aware of the problems of this type but refused to do ANYTHING ABOUT IT. I was told that it was out of warranty. Warranty expired at 100000. They have made sure of two things, 1 I will NEVER buy a Subaru again, 2 I will avoid any car with a CVT transmission. It would be easier to take this treatment if it weren't for the $8000.00 price tag to get it fixed. I think I will trade it in and make it someone else's problem.

Subaru Outback Company Information