4.0/5 (237 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper

About Subaru Outback

The Subaru Outback is an SUV. Older models are station wagons. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Subaru Outback Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I bought a new Subaru Outback Outdoors XT in 2020. After about 33000 km the car started to shake at braking. Their own service people said that the rotors were warped and needed replacement. However, since it was 'more than 1 year old' they refused to replace the defective parts, and quoted me over $700 for parts and labour. I am very disappointed with Subaru's quality. They are certainly not as safe as they advertise, and have zero interest in looking after their customers. I would never buy another Subaru again, and would recommend to stay away from the brand that uses low quality parts and offers no regard for their customers.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I started having problems with my 2015, 6 cylinder Outback at 75,000 miles in 2019. That's when the oil light first came on between oil changes but it "passed" an oil consumption test. Subaru assured me that 6 cylinders don't have oil consumption problems and that the tech likely only filled enough oil for a 4 cylinder. It is now 2022. The oil light has come on 7 more times. Each oil consumption test passed with the exception of the last one and Subaru kept assuring me that it is normal to add oil so often between oil changes. I took the car to another mechanic who did a smoke test and said the piston seals are leaking. I was already aware of the class action lawsuit.

I called Subaru customer service on 6/24/22. A rep called me back on 6/28/22 and told me to get an estimate to repair the short block and that Subaru would pay for part of the repair. I asked the rep if I could speak to a manager since I felt Subaru should cover the entire cost. She said a manager would call me back in 24-48 hours. I called my dealer and they said it would cost a minimum of $8,000. The manager did not call me back. I called again again on 7/11/22 and was told someone would call me back. The same rep called me back on 7/12/22 and told me Subaru would not pay for the repair because the car was out of warranty. I let her know that even though the car officially failed the oil consumption test at 111,000 miles, the first problems occurred at 75,000 miles. She said she would have a manager call me back in 24-48 hours. She stated that she didn't know that I wanted to speak to a manager. (The person that answered the phone the previous day showed this was in my file, however.)

Today, 7/20/22, I called again. I was told that my case was closed. I asked to speak to a manager and he called me back within the hour. He told me the best Subaru would do is $2,000 paid to the dealer to help cover the cost of repair. I asked if I could get the repair done at another garage since other estimates I received were around $5,500. He reminded me that it was out of warranty. I reminded him of the class action lawsuit and the extension of the warranty on 4 cylinders to 100,000 miles. He said my vehicle was not covered and some vehicles don't last as long. (Sad indeed to hear Subaru tell you this. I'd like to see them advertise this.)

Bottom line, I wish I never owned a Subaru. With the $2,000 they are offering me toward the repair at a Subaru dealer, I'll still have to pay more than if I took it to another mechanic - whom I trust more by-the-way. I am a woman and have been anxious driving my car for the past ~3 years not to mention the long hours waiting at Subaru and the frustration and anxiety of having to drive to the dealer at just the right mileage for the oil consumption test each time. I keep oil in the car and continue to check. I can't drive 1,000 miles without losing a quart of oil.

I don't wish this on anyone. If you are thinking to buy a Subaru please check online for oil consumption to see for yourself the extent of the problem. Subaru will tell you this is normal. It is not normal. They will also tell you that it is only happening with certain makes and models. What's worse is that my dealer knew about oil consumption but kept insisting my vehicle was not experiencing it. (Also, the manager told me that the rep that was supposed to call me back each time sent me an email. I checked my inbox, junk, deleted and archives. I did not receive an email from them. I share this because I am certain this is pretty standard treatment so others should know what to expect. I was actually told by an ex Subaru rep that the above events would occur.)

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I'm an owner of 3 Subaru outbacks. Past 2 did not have much problem. My recent Subaru Outback Wilderness (less than a year with low mileage) Battery Died. I guess it was a lemon & took it to dealer & they did not perform any diagnostic check on why it died & simply recharged the battery. So, I contacted Subaru Customer Advocacy dept & explained all my problems. They assured me it will be fixed or at a minimum battery will be replaced. At the new Subaru dealer, my car was kept for almost a day, findings were battery was weak & they recharged it. I tried to contact the Customer Advocacy dept again but did not get a response. I'm now nervous on when & where my battery will be dead again.

A brand new car owner should not have such experiences. Based on my investigation, Subaru does have a known Battery problem & there is a pending class action lawsuit pending on it. FYI. So, if you owned a Subaru, pray that there are no issues with it, if you have one, they'll make you run around the dealer & customer advocacy dept without resolving the problem. No more Subarus for me....

Original review: May 1, 2022

UPDATED 6/24/2022: First off Subaru claims to be this great family company. They claim they donate over 140 million dollars in donation to pet homeless and a few others. I brought my brand new car in that has a weak windshield (broke at 30 mph, broke at 45 mph and third time it broke we were barely taking off from a red light and a pebble broke it again), faulty cheap parts ( coolant pump) that go out in the middle of the highway. The passenger window rolls up halfway before rolling back down automatically and my dash turning on and off at will.

When you look up issues with the car, thousand and thousands of complaints about the same issues but Subaru acts like it a one I a million thing. They tell me it never happens and I just got the one in a million car with issues. Subaru can supposedly donate over 140 million but can’t take responsibility for their cheap parts in their cars. I wish we could start a class action and have them refund everyone with faulty vehicles. I will never buy from Subaru ever again. Bad company that sold out and now has a bad product. How can you be safe in a car when the windshield will crack if you fart in its direction?

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I bought a brand new 2020 Outback in 2020. I put less than 20k miles on it and my windshield has broke twice, my dash turns on and off at will and it can’t connect or drops my phone connection even if plugged in. I have complained and took it in multiple times but they pretend I am crazy and my car is the best type of vehicle on the road. I have been reading more and more content on how poorly these cars are made and how the company treats the people buying them. Why do we need a lawsuit to get what we paid for? I just want a working car with a safe windshield.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I bought a pristine 2003 Subaru Outback for my 18 year old grandson. Subaru's reputation for saving lives does live up to its claim. He was coming home from school, went around a turn, 1/2 mile from our house, hit gravel, he overcorrected and hit a small tree which in turn the car rolled on to the driver side where it came to rest. He climbed out through the passenger side. Thankfully, he only wound up with a few scratches and a lot of bruising, and hurt pride and ego. The car was totaled but did protect him from seriously getting hurt or even worse. I have three other Subarus and will be get him another Subaru. Thank you Subaru.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

We ordered the Outback 3.6R NEW due to its alleged reliability. When the car was delivered there were cracks in the steel on both driver and passenger front window frame posts. We found this days after we got the car home. I had to be brought back and re-welded. Now at 40K miles, we have all the dash warning lights on, including the check engine light. I have only owned Toyotas and I have never had any problems with them. I tried Subaru. Unfortunately I will be returning to Toyota.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

At only 50,000 miles, had to replace two front wheel bearings. At 105,000 miles, just out of warranty, had to replace the catalytic converter and the $8000 CVT Transmission! Then, just a bit later at 115,000 miles, another wheel bearing went bad. One of the worst vehicles I've ever owned - and I have had over 30 vehicles!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I recently hit a deer, and my 2014 Subaru Outback was totaled. Five airbags deployed, and I walked away without a scratch. A few days later, I purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback from Moe ** at Concordville Subaru. It was the best auto purchasing experience in my life; seamless and efficient. This review is twofold, first as a heartfelt thank you to the construction and safety of the Outback, and second, a big compliment to the sales department at Concordville Subaru.

Tom

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I purchased a 2011 Subaru Outback in March of last year. Upon purchase, I was not told of the impending transmission problems that almost every car of this make experiences. Now, I am up against a $1250 repair and Subaru is offering me no assistance with a problem that nearly every owner has experienced. I am disappointed to be left hanging like this with a problem that wasn’t a result of bad ownership but a faulty product. I was hoping that they would extend a good will warranty to me, or at least cover a portion of the cost, but they have stood firm against any help whatsoever. This certainly has shaken my faith in the brand, and I would suggest that everyone look further into specific problems with their make and model before buying a Subaru, because this isn’t the first time and it will not be the last.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

After much research and many excellent reviews I settled on a used 2013 Outback. After driving the car 500 miles I learned of a nasty OIL consumption issue with this model. Subaru claimed the only repair was $5500 short block replacement. This was an official recall however my mileage was just over the 125K thresh-hold. Subaru would not work with us.... not half price. Nothing. I did replace the short block issue on my own ($5000). After this major swap the puddle lights ($315) and catalytic converter ($1300) have since failed on this POS. And I'm going to have to pay for these new repairs.

I really used to love SUBARU's but there manufacturing woes and terrible customer service have swayed me to think they are a deadbeat company with no regard for its customers. I spent close to $17K on a used LEMON and could barely sell it for $10K. Yay! Super duper! Can you sense the sarcasm?! Subaru sucks. Take your time and money elsewhere. FIN.

Subaru Outback Company Information