4.21/5
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

19 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

The auto repair place had just finished going over this 2002 Subaru Outback, and I got it for $1,000 off the asking price. I can see over the front end as to where it is, so I don't have to just hope I know where it is. There is a fin on the trunk in the back, and it is difficult to see through when backing up, so I would rather it not be there. But the rest of the car works well and has many features I have never had before.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Overall I have been happy with my Subaru Outback. It works well in snow because of its all wheel drive feature. I don't need to put chains when conditions are bad as long as I have studded traction tires on all four wheels. I chose this model for this reason. I have not had any trouble with it except for having to top off the oil more often compared with other cars I have owned. This seems to be a disadvantage that cannot be solved as I have tried having it fixed without success. With other cars I have owned, I have not needed to top off the oil between oil changes.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I did not go out looking to buy a Subaru, but after test driving everything else it changed my mind. Great gas mileage, good value, reliable, we are all tall and it is comfortable, use it for going to our cabin and it does great in the snow. While we do not regret buying the Subaru Outback, there are things that aren't perfect. The metal of the body dents really easily. I have to be very choosy about where I park. The headlights are foggy and the paint job on my car was not a good one. But overall it is a good car. I like the price, the looks, the ride and the reputation.

Original review: June 13, 2018

When it was time to replace my Honda Accord with 266 k miles on it, I thought I wanted a Volvo so I went to their showroom. Subaru's showroom was being refurbished so they were displaying their models in the same showroom. I test drove both makes and then I investigated other makes and models. And I chose the Subaru Outback for its safety and dependability record.

I LOVE the EyeSight features: lane alert, blind spot alert, and auto stop when cruise control is on. You don't realize how often you drift out of your lane until you experience this alarm option... especially when you reach around looking for something in your care or changing radio stations, music, or answering your phone. As I age I know I will appreciate all the safety features of the EyeSight option even more. Love the Bluetooth phone feature as well. But I HATE the way the headrests push your head forward. I know the insurance industry succeeded in having stricter headrest standards but it hurts my neck muscles & messes up my hair. But overall, the Subaru Outback is so far so good. I would purchase again.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The Subaru Outback is durable, comfortable, reliable, and can get through just about any kind of weather you can imagine. The car is also really spacious both in the seating area and in the trunk, making the car great for long trips in which people in the car are going to want to get comfortable. I also like the interior design. As a musician, the large trunk and ample storage space is awesome because it makes transporting instruments (especially the big ones like my drum set) to and from other locations for practicing to be a hundred times easier than it has been with the cars that I've had access to prior to this vehicle. It takes a bit too long for the heaters to warm up though and additionally for the back seats to heat up. I also don't LOVE the material that the seats are made out of and the exterior design feels like its kind of similar to other models of Subaru.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Outback?

Original review: May 9, 2018

The 2016 Subaru Outback is a reliable, comfortable (not luxurious) vehicle with outstanding safety and utility features. It has large cargo space, seats fold offering more, roof rack is functional for anything you might want to carry (I have a kayak) and great heated seats in back and front. I added a sunroof and side moldings; very satisfied. An outstanding value for the money. Subaru is also responsive to the feedback of drivers. But the Bluetooth function for phone use and apps is one of two disappointments; the phone quality is fair/poor for the listener, phone does not chime when texts come in while in running car, texts made by dictation into the phone while in running car are jumbled and do not reflect what was dictated. The other disappointment is the factory installed remote start; you need to be close to the vehicle for it to start and it turns off when you open the car door. I would recommend a Viper as an aftermarket purchase by a reputable installer.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have owned my car for over 2 years and often -- and still -- spontaneously think "I love this car." I like the size for my lifestyle, I like my upgraded interior, I like the price I paid, my dealership, the independent repair shop I use with this car, how comfortable it is one long trips (eg Salem to Seattle)...and I like my Subaru Outback.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Subaru Outback - Two things I would change, where the driver keeps your feet is cramped, the tranny forces you to keep your right foot at an angle instead straight ahead. This becomes a big problem on long trips, in fact downright painful. I find my ankle and heal start to hurt around 5 hours. And the little engine is a little under powered. I'm used to something a good deal more powerful, but am enjoying the cheap gas consumption. I have to go over the Pocono mountains a lot, and all told they aren't all that large, and I find the motor strains a tad on the steeper slopes.

Original review: May 4, 2018

One can appreciate the sure-footedness of the Subaru Outback's all-wheel drive in both mountain driving and in rainy sub-tropical regions. The Outback is also reasonably comfortable for longer trips, and is as comfortable as any vehicle for all-day driving and much more comfortable than many, including luxury vehicles costing twice as much. This is our second Outback (Subaru Outback 2013). When its day is done and it's time to replace it, we may opt for a third Outback.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I could not had wished for more from a vehicle. Subaru Outback does not look like a pregnant cow or a square obtuse rectangle like most SUVs. The design lines are really clean. It has wonderful seats that are truly comfortable with adjustable lumbar and heated seats that is wonderful in the winter. The seats can be programmed to remember the different drivers too. The rear back up warning sensors and cameras along with the viewing screen are awesome. It is spacious enough for a very tall person to be comfortable. The StarLink online diagnosis capability is wonderful to have for constant diagnosis and in the event of a breakdown or accident someone will know quickly. The sound system is perfect. The rear seats are comfortable with air and heating and they lay down for additional cargo space if needed. The rear automatic hatch and the cargo area is a plus and has plenty of room. Gotta Love My Subaru!

Original review: May 2, 2018

Outback answers needs for reliable and spacious interior, plus legendary Subaru quality and service! Self driving features are great additions to an already competent design!

Original review: April 30, 2018

2 big disappointments on Subaru Outback: 17" spare tire doesn't match 18" tires sold with the car, and the "power locks" DO NOT lock automatically in gear or when rolling.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The safety aspect assured me this Outback was the right car. Great mileage and most Subarus bought 10-15 years ago are still on the road. All wheel drive and you can haul things too.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Subaru Legacy Outback - This is my second Subaru. The first one had 200,000 before it was time for a new car. This one has 118,000 miles and still going strong. But I had to replace an axle, exhaust and wheel bearings, at different times. I will definitely buy another Subaru when the time comes.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I purchased my 2008 Subaru Outback in 2011, after it was turned in from a 3 year lease. It had only 20K miles on it and was in perfect condition. Gas mileage isn't great, but the trade-off for that is that it has gotten me through several harsh Montana winters with nary a problem. The car is so well made that I'm sure it will still be going long after I have left this mortal coil. I have never regretted buying it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The 2017 Outback is a comfortable, roomy, economical and attractive vehicle for daily use and trips. When you add its bad weather and off-road capabilities, it becomes in a class by itself!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

We are Seniors and have bought cars since 1960. Bar none. Subaru 2013 Outback is the BEST and most dependable car we have ever owned. The car is 4 years old and looks like it just came off the lot! Also, after 4 years of ZERO care other than Maintenance and tires and a battery there has been no additional cost. After driving Cadillacs (2 at a time) for years we never knew it was possible to have no repair costs. Other family members are now purchasing their own Subarus for themselves based upon our rating.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I think I got one of the few troublesome Subarus made. I have it serviced at the dealer. I complain. They say everything is fine. I call it the gutless wonder. Other friends who have 4 bangers are surprised at the poor handling and slow to accelerate car. It is very noisy inside, lots of rattles, very disappointed. I have read owners' complaints and comments online. Apparently there are major problems down the line with the Outbacks. I have the start of the said problems. I am just hoping the problem can be fixed before my extended warranty expires in 2017! I also don't get better than 23 mpg combined in the base model, and I am careful because I am cheap. I wish it was better.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

I'm 63 years of age and suffered a stroke but can still drive. The safety features, i.e., Eyesight, back up, area and blindside cameras are a great help. The power lift gate very useful in loading and unloading items. Very comfortable seats for long distance drives and great convenient features like navigation, bluetooth phone, siriusXM radio and much more for a very competitive price. Value, All wheel drive, reliability and fuel economy were major considerations for selecting a Subaru Outback.

Subaru Outback Company Information