1.95/5
Based on 43 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

99 Isuzu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 28, 2018

Isuzu Rodeo - This car has been very reliable. We bought it off of a guy. The price was amazing. It's a good sized vehicle and fits my family of 5 comfortably. We love it and it has lasted a long time! The only issue I have had is with the suspension was in a car accident so now we are currently rebuilding the suspension. Also, the heater keeps going out.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I loved my Isuzu Rodeo. It was a bright green with glitter in it. The previous owner had it custom painted. It was also a stick shift and was 5 speed. I always have preferred stick shift to automatic. There was room for me, the 4 kids and then some. But it didn't have any extras other than your usual heater and air conditioner. It was also an old truck and needed a lot of upgrades. It was getting rather worn and would have looked great had I been able to re upholster the interior. I also had a nice stereo system installed, because I love to listen to music.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Isuzu Trooper is reliable, long lasting, spacious, safe, comfortable, practical and good for road trips or helping someone move. A very useful car all around. My husband's family has owned a number of Troopers and they seem to last a long time. But I dislike how much gas it takes. It's expensive to keep up with and not great for the environment. I also don't always need as much room as it provides.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have an Isuzu Trooper 4x4 (2003). In recent days, the its engine stops when driving by itself, and it takes time to work again. I'm living in Turkey, and the service couldn't fix the problem, and we have no idea the reason the engine stops when working. What could be the problem? Is there any idea? Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I bought 2000 Rodeo in Dec 2015 not knowing the frame problem the vehicle had. I have put more money in it after I bought. Had about 55000 dollars in it. In Dec 2016 driving on highway the starting pulling viciously. In the end I managed to get it under control. It was a fight on steering wheel. The lower link bracket trust off the frame. I put another 480 dollars in getting welded back together. Why was I not I formed about frame when I bought the Rodeo. They can tell they did not know had bad the frame was. The Rodeo at this point should have not been sold without fixing the frame. I found out the Rodeo had recall about the frame problem. This never get fix on my Rodeo. The other side is getting bad. What I need is these reinforcement brackets so I get the other side fix!! Isuzu company should send me some because they fixed the problem the first time!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Isuzu?

Original review: March 19, 2017

I'm up to date with all the services. Last week March 15, 2017 I was driving my truck (Isuzu NQR 2010 diesel) and show the check engine light. I called the dealer and took the truck right away. This problem happened 4x since I bought the truck. It's 76,000 mileage. Bought new on October 2010 and I'm the only one driving and very careful. I already spend a lot of money on this truck ever since I bought it including the aircon fan that cost $1500 at 2 years old. 5 months ago I had an oil change, they found a lot to repair again and paid $1,600. Now the repair that needs to be done cost $10,285.00 and the next scheduled oil change is not due yet. Why are these ISUZU trucks doesn't last anymore. It is not worth the cost if the damages cause these much. Stop buying Isuzu trucks especially diesel. How can the Isuzu manufacturer company be address with this problem. This is too much to spend for the repair.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I purchased my Isuzu D-Max LCV 30/10/2015. When I am purchased the vehicle the sales executive said I can get the mileage of 15 km/litre without ac, with load I can get 12 km/litre. But I am getting 8 to 10 mileage per litre. And they told you can carry 4 ton load but I am carrying only 2 ton. Within 17500 km my clutch plate and flywheel and freewheel and bearing got damaged. Even Tata Ace is carrying 2 ton and got no problem and Ashok Leyland carrying 3 ton and Bolero carrying 3 ton after 30000 km or 40000 km only we are changing clutch plate but the Isuzu is worst than any vehicle. Please people don't buy the Isuzu vehicle. The Tata Ace Mega is carrying 3.5 ton load and not got any problem. I prefer to buy Ashok Leyland or Bolero or Tata Ace.

Original review: June 24, 2016

I purchased my Trooper with 64,000 mile on it. It has always guzzles oil. I have had the EGR valve cleaned out several times and replaced once. The starter is replaced and many other parts. I have had the transmission replaced in the last three years twice! On about 8,000 miles total Ye Ah! Now they say I need another one!!! After it supposedly went out four months after being replaced at Las Vegas Transmission. They say it is the power drive that coursed the transmission so now it is even more money out the door. Both need to be done even though I had a warranty on the transmission the second time!!! Don't go to Las Vegas transmission, they don't honor their warranties or their other shops by different names. Isuzu is such a bad brand, the mechanics can't figure out how to fix them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

I just bought a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo and in 3 days of driving it my fuel pump hanger went bad. I've tried to find a reasonable one and there's new ones for 524 dollars but I'm on a limited income. Does anyone have any ideas email me at ** or call me at ** please. TY.

Original review: July 21, 2015

In reply to every negative review of Isuzu Vehicles. Take note of the dates posted against the years of the owners vehicles. All Isuzus in NA are now between 15-25 years old. That is old for a car. Because Isuzus were so competitively priced, they were often bought for high usage and daily driving. You will be hard pressed to find any Isuzu with less than 150,000 miles on it. In fact, most will have over 200,000 if it's 1995 or older. For anyone who knows anything about cars, that is a long time for any car to be functioning. You see so many 80's and 90's Isuzus on the road today as a testament that they are GREAT and RELIABLE cars. Now, to address the complaints on this website. ANY car that's old NEEDS maintenance or it WILL fail! The complaints about failing brakes on the 2001 Troopers are results of negligence to the vehicle's braking systems.

To anyone who today claims that a 1994 Isuzu is the worst car ever made, is calling a 20-year-old car poor quality. If it was poor quality it would not be on the road today. It would have given up years earlier. That's why you don't see many older cars of other brands. They just don't last like Isuzu. As to the complaints on rust. Look at any Japanese import from the 80's and early to mid 90's, they all have rust. Isuzu, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, all of them. It will vary depending on where you're living, but yes, after 20-30 years, things rust. Sometimes also due to owners negligence in keeping the frame clean after trail riding.

Cars need maintenance. I have owned many Isuzus, and it's nearly the only car I will buy. I have a 1984 Isuzu Pickup. It has 300,000 miles and it's NEVER needed an engine rebuild. I challenge you to find me an American made car that can claim that. I do keep very good maintenance, but regardless, it is so durable. They last forever. That's all I have to say about that.

Original review: May 30, 2015

Four wheel drive not working properly when shifting. Hearing noise if though gear is not locked in place. Car park until problems pinpointed.

Original review: April 27, 2015

I am a mechanic and study automotive technology of past, present and future. It is a labor of love and a hobby of mine. Anyway I have currently been helping out a friend of mine figure out what is wrong with her 1994 Isuzu Trooper. She is disabled and on a fixed income and cannot afford to pay tons of money to have a shop do diagnostics on her vehicle. She recently bought this vehicle for a couple grand and decided to buy it because she needed a vehicle with plenty of seating and storage space and was told by friends and family buy it because of the quality industrial products and diesel engines Isuzu produces. I am not one to complain about a 21 year old vehicle or many cars in general. I understand the world economy and how cars are produced with world parts from many different automobile manufacturers in the last 35 years.

I do not know the quality of Isuzu vehicles before 1994 or after 1994. I have only worked on a couple of their diesel engines in the past. But in my opinion I must say that this has to be one of the worst vehicles I have ever worked on and seen period. I have tried to do a recall search to make sure that this abomination is not a total death trap and I cannot find anything out even with a vin number search on this vehicle. I have never seen a electrical system that is poorly engineered and I have worked on 1960's British cars that run on reverse polarity. The whole frame and drive train is just one clump of rust. The 3.2 v6 motor is underpowered and one of the worst designed I have ever seen just to name a couple things and believe me I can go on.

It breaks my heart that the msrp price of these when they were released were almost the same price as a Land Rover Discovery but the only difference is that you can still see 1994 Land Rovers still in operation and on the road. I have done test after test to find out what is wrong with it and a ton of repairs after reading forums and other consumer complaints I am sure it is not just with the model and year I am working on. After working on this vehicle I will never buy a Isuzu product or recommend any Isuzu industrial equipment to any company I work for due to how Isuzu released this to the United States public and how they have not stood behind their consumer automotive products in the United States.

Original review: March 4, 2015

January 28, 2015 I was in a serious car accident with my twin girls in my 1999 Isuzu Trooper. I came to a stop at the stop sign pushed the accelerator slightly to move forward and my accelerator punched. I could not stop the vehicle, or move the gas pedal at all. My brake and my hand brake could not stop the vehicle. I was 7 months pregnant at the time. Luckily my twin girls, my baby and I made it through the accident. My Trooper flipped 4 times and continued over a concrete wall and into a creek, where all tires that were not toughing the ground were spinning uncontrollably.

We contacted Isuzu so they could help us figure out what were our options. I did research and found out that my accident was only one of many that have occurred from the year models of 1994 up to 2001 for the exact same issue. I told the Isuzu representative this over the phone and he said that he would get back to my husband and I. A couple of weeks later with the information I had given he gave us an offer to by the totaled vehicle out right for $2,200 and change for "research" by Isuzu engineers. I asked him when they found out exactly how and why this happened would they let us know. He stated that once they've purchased the vehicle then it's out of my hands and what they do and do not do with this information is not my problem or up to me anymore.

I denied the offer for the money because peoples lives and that of my family are more precious and more important than any dollar amount offered by the company. It seemed a little shady that after all the information of cases similar to mine Isuzu offers a dollar amount to keep consumers quiet. So it leaves me to think how many other people have had similar issues and have been quieted with money from Isuzu.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

2000 Isuzu Rodeo - To date the frame rot caused the spare tire mount to break free while motoring down the highway, the spare tire slowly dropped and was dragged un-noticed until slower residential streets gave enough audible noise to hear the tire being dragged by it's mounting cable. The vehicle was purchased used in 2013, and I had asked about the recall by the seller's mechanic and was told it looked okay. This is my son's vehicle, luckily nothing worse happened while driving this death trap. We had it repaired by a local mechanic, he ground out rusted portions and welded new metal to replace the rotted metal.

There should be no time limit on a recall, granted once repaired there could be a limit since nothing lasts forever but a vehicle that hasn't been repaired, or an owner not notified should still be able to claim damages and or reimbursements for something as dangerous as this. I will do my best to avoid driving anywhere near one of these since the older these get the higher the odds that an accident will happen and I don't want to be anywhere near them when it does. Realistically, there should be a class action lawsuit filed for anyone affected by an accident related to someone driving one of these that has not been repaired by Isuzu.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2015

I had some electrical work done on my rodeo and was told that my drive shaft was rubbing against gas tank. Had it looked at for repairs and was told that it cannot be repaired. Frame is cracked. Nothing to weld to. Have yet to contact Isuzu. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

Can anybody tell me the causes of rumbling roar at the front of the engine? Before when my Dmax runs at first gear this roaring noise appears and when I run about 40 kph it just return to a calm sound. This time the roaring noise just don't stop, making driving very uncomfortable especially on expressways.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2014

So in December I bought my 2001 Isuzu Trooper from a person and I was told it has transmission issues so I didn't drive it, I had it towed and spent 4500 on a rebuilt transmission. Yes this vehicle does lose oil and as most people commented previously it's about a quart every 700 miles. When I bought it it had 150650 miles. It is great for long drives. I know to carry oil and always check before, during and after. I have put over 20000 miles on it in 6 months. I've had to in the last 6 months replace other things like the starter and the egr valve and basic maintenance I know have an issue with it. It keeps stalling and sometimes I get reduced power light and can't go more than 20 miles an hour.

So I plug in the computer and 5 codes come up. Talking to the gentleman in Advanced Auto he told me he had a similar situation and after many repairs found out there is a sensor in the gas pedal, lol. Who would have thought changing the gas pedal would fix what a mechanic would have no doubt charged me thousands of dollars? The pedal from a scrap yard cost me 20 bucks. I paid a friend 40 bucks to put it in. The total was less than just a tow to my mechanic. You can order them online for roughly 200 bucks or Advanced Auto quoted me 329.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

I was duped into buying a 1999 Rodeo from a private owner. Being disabled I did not check the frame, and later came to find out it was totally rusted out. I was told a recall had been issued but that I was too late for that. Being that this a major safety issue how can a company free itself of any liability. I'm disabled on a fixed income and can't afford another vehicle. After 75 operations I've had this seems to be the most painful of all. Does anybody care.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

Rear bumper rusted off. All metal is flaky and totally rotted.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

At this point we are unable to use it off road. Our 2013 D-Max has only seen bitumen, because after 4 attempts to fix the locks on the Isuzu canopy the rear door still does not stay closed while driving down the road let alone dirt roads, letting dirt, water and dust into the tray and luggage. We have been told 4 times that there is no problem with it and it only needed adjustment. On the second occasion they claimed to have replaced the rear window latches but the problem has still not been resolved. We lost a suit case out the back of the canopy the other day and it crack the tail light on the way out, which has now filled with water, because the rear window doesn't stay closed. What if that was my dog?

We have made countless phone calls and complaints and have had people in the service department tell us that it has been fixed. IT CLEARLY HASN'T!!! 28000 kms in and there is a small oil leak starting to show on the inside of the front left hub. For no off road use yet I feel this is pathetic and they don't seem to care less about helping their customers, when it should be fixed under warranty they still can’t get it right! Hell they can’t even reset the computer system after a service, it’s still flashing up at us every time we start the ute saying it is now 12000 kms past due on oil change. We are at wits end with our 2013 Isuzu D-Max because now it is costing us in damages for jobs that should have been rectified almost a year ago now.

Original review: July 9, 2014

I purchased a used 2000 Isuzu Rodeo that had been polished and cleaned to the point it looked like a diamond. After purchase, a few small things came up, but I was able to repair them quickly (front disk brake shoes, leaking radiator hoses, brake bulbs). I discovered some chronic rust on the roof under the back cargo rack supports. I'll fix that eventually. I discovered it had a prolific oil leak at the engine that seemed impossible to locate. I read up on it and came to the conclusion it was the valve cover gasket. This is no ordinary gasket. It snakes and runs all over the engine. It was leaking oil at an overflow point on the back of the cover and also through the sides onto the exhaust manifold.

I bought a new cover gasket and repaired it. I used red high heat silicone on both sides of the gasket and the leak cleared up. By the way, this is the only way to get to the plugs! Oil had leaked all over the inside top of the engine. I cleaned out all the oil that had been pooling under the cover. Ran good, didn't leak. It looked sweet and ran sweet. That's when I discovered the clicking sound coming out from under the hood. Never a good feeling. I tried every trick and additive known to man. Synthetic. Regular. Every weight you could think of. Then, I read and tripped across a recommendation. I read that using some diesel crankcase oil might fix the problem. I was skeptical. The engine did not smoke, but was losing about a half quart of oil a week. I waited until it was time and added some 10W30 diesel oil to it..... about a half quart.

The change was phenomenal. Just that little bit of the diesel oil and the engine clicking noise quietened up about 90 percent. I do still get a very weak tick at highway speeds going downhill with the engine rpms equalized with the speed of the car (no load). I plan to use this oil for future top offs. The engine has 100K on it and I believe I'll get a lot more out of it. I like the design, utility and soft ride of the vehicle. I keep the oil level about a half quart high on the dipstick. The four cylinder is under-powered but is enough unless you are towing. It will carry a full load inside.

This year and many other Rodeos were considered lemons that dealers would keep when you brought them in for servicing because releasing them back to you could cause liabilities due to a chronic rust problem that would destroy the stability of the vehicle. The Rodeo pretty much crashed Isuzu. Honda put out a similar product with the Passport. They also come with a V-6. My strong recommendation is that if you are thinking about buying one, you whisk it in to Isuzu and get the factory-identified problems check out before buying it.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2014

Well, this vehicle is actually my friend's but I'm trying to help him find the problem. The problem is something within the transmission, it may be the device as a whole but I just want to see if there's something specific that we can fix instead of spending the money on a swap, or if we should even keep the vehicle because there seems to be a lot of bad things that happen at the Rodeo. Anyways, the car starts and shifts into drive/reverse fine, but when you start driving it hits 3000 rpms and instead of shifting like a normal automatic it just continues to push rpms. It doesn't want to leave 1st gear. Again, any feedback helps, whether we should by a rebuild kit, plug/unplug something, replace it, or sell the car. Thanks.

Original review: July 27, 2013

I got my 1995 Isuzu Rodeo/Passport when it was just over 10 years old with 150k miles on it and it's been super reliable for the things that matter and easy to work on for those that needed fixing. The combination switch (for the turn signals) is prone to carbon buildup as are the power window switches. The window regulators themselves have had several failures. It tends to eat tires on the outer edges if you drive hard and does get poor gas mileage for an import SUV. However it drives very sporty for what it is if you get the 5 speed 2wd version. The best thing I can say is it always starts, runs, and gets me there. That's all I expected out of it. I paid $500 for it!

Original review: July 11, 2013

We have continued to have problems with these vehicles' performance and downtime. We have one now that has been over at the sellers being worked on for several days now. They want to replace 4 Injectors. Craig in the service dept can verify what I'm saying. We are so completely unsatisfied with these vehicles from the standpoint of their performance. I am at my wits' end. I believe the service people at both dealerships have tried but it's really not their fault. Is there any help I can get from Isuzu because of all of the downtime we have had? Is there any help at all you know of to make up for this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2013

I purchased a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS from a dealership in 2005 that was in perfect condition. The problem with this particular model is that the car frame doesn't last! The frame now is rusted, cracked, and consequently inoperable. After contacting Mike at Isuzu, he said this was not part of the recall problem, and that this rust and crack in the frame was because of all the salt on the roads during the winters in the Midwest (I currently see older vehicles of the same model on the roads). I don't know how a company can get away with this! I'm hoping I can get satisfaction from the BBB. Perhaps they can put pressure on this company to rectify the problem.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2012

My mother has a 2004 Isuzu Rodeo. When the check engine light came on, we took the vehicle to Quality Tune-Up. They ran a diagnostic test on the vehicle and told us that the problem was the catalytic converter. They suggested that we take the vehicle to the Isuzu dealer, because that part was still under warranty. The Monday morning, Sept 17, 2012, I took the vehicle to the Isuzu dealership, met with the service. He ran the vin number on the vehicle and told me that the warranty have expired on Sept 12, 2012 and that there was nothing they could do. I said that it has only been a few days, he said that there was nothing he could do and that I need to contact the corporate Isuzu office. I contacted the corporate office that afternoon and spoke with a representative there. The representative ran the vin number in the computer told me when the warranty had expired and told me that at this time there was nothing else they could do for me. He also said that there was no one else I could speak to about the issue. The warranty for the 2004 Isuzu Rodeo in California is 8 years/80,000 miles. At the time, the vehicle had only 40,000 miles and 8 years.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2012

Hello, Isuzu company. I bought a 2001 Rodeo 4 cylinder model and the mechanic changed the fuel pump and changed the oil but because of the sound, he poured diesel engine oil inside petrol engine. We traveled 100 km. and we changed the thermostat too, making the fan to blow very well because of the hot weather we have in Nigeria. I went to wash it in a car wash. So they washed the engine with water and we parked the jeep at home until we got a number for it. When I started the engine, it was making a sound and when it moved, it would be vibrating and later the engine stopped working. And since I bought the Rodeo, I have not used it at all. Please, Isuzu company, help me out. All the mechanics are not getting it in Nigeria. Please, what can I do?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2012

I purchased a 2002 Isuzu Axiom from Woody Buick GMC in Elgin. I was told they were a reputable dealer and they had a good deal on the vehicle I was looking at. I purchased the car and 32 days later, I stopped at an oil change location due to an engine noise I knew to be likely low oil. I was told there was no oil on the dipstick, a very small amount in the oil pan and a valve, possibly piston and/or lifter was bad. I contacted the dealer. I appealed to their sense of decency and presented the facts as I knew them to be true. The only solution they offered was to tow my vehicle to them for about $500 and to pay for a new engine and installation for about $6500. The only thing the dealer offered me was a discount on labor. I was expected to pay the entire cost even though I had the car for 32 days. I am now out $8000 for the cost of the vehicle and need to find an engine and someone to install it which will cost me approximately $5000.

Original review: June 4, 2012

I own a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo that was financed through Wells Fargo. I owed $3,600-$3,800 (interest, so it's between those figures). The car was in great shape, brand new tires, the body was in good to excellent condition, the engine was well-maintained, etc. The Kelley Blue Book for this car with the mileage and condition was valued at $5,600. The car was recalled for "rear suspension corrosion". This could cause the lower link bracket to detach (this was exactly what happened and it caused the frame to snap). I had the car towed to an Isuzu dealer in Massachusetts (Cornerstone Isuzu, Wilmington, Massachusetts, 978-657-3939). They deemed the car as a non-fixable total loss. They then informed the Isuzu corporate office, sent photos and completed the process informing the corporate office of Isuzu of their findings.

A man named Lee at number 1-800-255-6727 informed me that the car would not be fixed and that Isuzu would buy the car back, not payoff what I owed $3,600, but would buy it back for $2,000. I did everything he told me to do, in good faith. I paid off Wells Fargo over $1,600 and they were satisfied that the rest would be paid off by Isuzu which Lee agreed to do. Wells Fargo has tried to do everything this Lee has requested, but it seems like it changes from week to week. He wants things that they do not provide, proof letters, etc. This has dragged on for 1 month and 1/2 back and forth. The last thing happened today, when this Lee called me and threatened to stop the process he agreed to. This whole thing started because of a factory defect, I have lost my car, had to buy a new one, pay out more than I should have and have gotten nothing form Isuzu who is responsible for the problem in the first place.

I would like to have this problem resolved (I am not too confident that it will) ASAP. I do feel that Isuzu is dragging their feet so I will just say "it's not worth it". If your company is an honest company, then you will do the right thing. Everyone I have talked to said I should get the full value for the car because it was an Isuzu problem, not Mike **'s fault. I am not asking for that, I just want what Lee (Isuzu representative) agreed to do and pay the buyout amount to Wells Fargo. I have notified the Attorney General's office here in Massachusetts, but I have not followed through as of yet. Thank you.

Original review: June 4, 2012

My son and I purchased together a used 1998 Isuzu Rodeo for his first vehicle. Long story made short, the rear end of the frame completely broke due to faulty metals and design by Isuzu within 4 months of us purchasing the vehicle. He was lucky he didn't have it happen on the highway or at high speeds as his rear axle came completely detached. I took it to have it repaired and they said there isn't even enough frame to weld mounting brackets back on and informed me there was a recall on these vehicles and gave me a phone number. I called the number and was informed by the representative that there was a deadline on the recall, so there was nothing they would do to help us.

If you are considering buying an Isuzu of any make, I strongly recommend against it. Through my experience, they do not stand behind their products and intentionally use inferior materials in the construction of their vehicles. I suggest you look into their recall histories before you make your decision. We are two unhappy ex-Isuzu customers.

Not sure about Isuzu?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Isuzu Company Information

www.isuzu.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business