3.69/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I have owned a 2014 Outback since 12/2013. I am the only owner and have kept the car meticulously maintained. It is really a nice ride and handles well.

Two weeks ago I had a “rumble”. I thought it was a tire but tires were fine. I called a tow truck and had it taken to my local mechanic, a Subaru trained mechanic. Turns out that the VALVE SPRING BROKE!! Damaging the rocker arm and camshaft. $2455 and two weeks later I have the car back. Subaru of America will do ABSOLUTELY nothing for me. I have 124,800 miles on the car and planned on driving it for quite a while longer. This damage happened due to no fault of mine. There is a defect in the 2014 Outback engine.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I bought a new 2014 Impreza in Richmond Hill. Paint defects appeared within 5,000 km all over my front bumper and hood. Both the dealer and Subaru Canada stepped back from repairing the defect under warranty and I had to file a claim in small claims court against both the dealer and head office. They eventually settled and paid. The issue is clearly experienced by many people all over the internet who also claim Subaru denied them any warranty. They lost me forever as a customer. They also asked me to sign a non disclosure prior to settlement that I declined. If I had then just writing this review would have landed me back in court. I have this entire disgusting experience fully documented. Shame on Subaru. Beware!!!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Bought a 2019 Impreza Sport with manual transmission from Granite Subaru (Hudson NH) in April of this year. The car was great until I took it to the dealer for its first service on 07.13.2019. Once I left the dealer the car started bucking/stalling/losing power in any gear at 25,000 RPM. Suspicious, I checked the oil and found it to be overfilled way past the fill line. After draining it the dealer said the car wasn't right and had to keep it for a few. The service manager called the next day and said it was magically fixed.

Next day the problem comes back but worse. The salesman I bought the car from says call SOA. Subaru of America then asks me to take the car in multiple times to have it looked at. I comply, only to be denied there is an issue and Virgil at SOA offers me $700 to drop the case. After having to beg SOA to give me a loaner because the car is unsafe, they have me miss more time off of work to meet with their field engineer. This guy seemed to be more on the lookout to find something to accuse me of rather than actually diagnose the problem. He agrees that something is wrong. A few days later they tell me that that added 93 octane gas from a "IRVING" station and that is was fixed.

As expected it was not. After more of a headache, SOA agreed to repurchase the car... but of course they are now trying to take $2,500.00 from me (originally $9000) for using the car for three months, claiming that they can not refund the loss from 3rd party warranties that the dealer sold. Granite Subaru is claiming SOA is responsible and SOA is saying the dealer. Neither the dealer or SOA are good at communication.

I am now fighting for the rest of my money to be added to the settlement letter, and in the meantime the service manager from the dealer keeps calling to say he didn't make a mistake. The owner of Granite Subaru is also the GM and refuses to reply to requests for a call or meeting. This is 2nd BRAND NEW Subaru that has been junk. I purchased this Impreza after my 2015 decided to die after a faulty dealership short block exchange. Please look into other brands and stay away from Granite Subaru in Hudson NH.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Outback owner since 1995. Purchased 2013 outback in February of 2013. Began burning oil at 50,000. Dealer told me was normal due to thin oil. Now using a quart of oil every 2000 miles. Just found out there was a class action lawsuit in 2016. Too late for me to join and receive compensation. Called Subaru and asked to be compensated for excess oil usage and was denied. Never notified me of this manufacture defect. No longer trust this company.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I bought STARLINK at a promotional price when I purchased my Outback. I received an email saying it would auto renew unless I called to cancel. I called to cancel because it was too much money for something that I had not used even once. I was told I would lose the last 45 days of service unless I called the day before it renewed. Really? This must be the only company that can’t figure out how to cancel auto renewal and fulfill the remainder of the paid contract. After having that conversation and canceling because I don’t want to deal with a company that can’t figure out how to fulfill a contract and cancel a renewal, the agent offered me the service for half off. Why not just offer this in the first place? If I hadn’t been so angry that I was losing the last 45 days of the contract I probably would have paid half price. Oh, he did give me a refund of the unused (forced out of) promotional price—$5.00. Really too little, too late.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

As soon as my 2016 Subaru Legacy reached 28k miles it began to consume oil. The new dealer has done oil consumption test 3 times. And agree there is a consumption problem. But based on Subaru 1 quart consumed every 1200 miles is acceptable. They can't do anything unless my vehicle fails the consumption test. Interestinly that the threshold is 1200 miles when my car burns a quart of oil approximate 2k miles. And getting worst. I have lost all faith in Subaru... I wouldnt buy their products or recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Purchased my Subaru Forester in Greenwood, IN, a little more than three hours away from me. I didn't mind the distance because I thought I had found a good deal on a vehicle that I could depend on and would last me a long time. In the beginning of being a proud Subaru owner, I had all of my maintenance done at Gurley Leep Subaru in Mishawaka. When I brought up the excessive oil consumption of my car, I was told it was common for Subaru to consume more oil. They would always try to sell me unrelated maintenance whenever I was there. Eventually I stopped going there because I simply didn't like them. I brought up my oil consumption again at the new mechanic. They did a consumption test. Eliminating other causes, they determined it was something internal and were unable to perform the repairs because they didn't have the special tools unique to Subaru. So I went back to Subaru Mishawaka with the information.

I took my car in as soon as I figured out transportation while my car was in the shop for the day. A shuttle bus to town was the only option Subaru provided for me. I received the call with the expensive diagnosis. Fortunately, I had added an extended warranty on my car when I refinanced. They covered some of the work. A new cylinder head gasket was the primary diagnosis. This time-they had a courtesy car for me. The tech was also kind enough to call and ask me if I wanted them to replace my plugs, wires, timing belt, ball joints, etc. while they were at it. He told me it would only cost me parts and not labor because they were already in there doing work, "you'll have a whole new setup under there". I agreed. I asked him about my sway bars. He told me they were fine. Ironically, this is one of the parts they told me needed to be replaced when I was in for my oil change.

When I got my car back, nothing seemed different. I contacted Subaru again- I was told (again) that oil consumption was common in Subaru. I had a check engine light come on, I took it back to Subaru Mishawaka. They hooked it up to the machine, and said my catalytic converter starting to go bad. This was not under warranty. They changed my headlight and I was on my way. I returned to my local mechanic for maintenance. My car was driving funny and the light came on. The machine indicated I had a bad plug. I explained that I had recently had them change. The mechanic told me that it was the original spark plug to the vehicle, according to him, there is a marking on them when they come off the assembly line. This threw up major flags for me. I decided to go the Subaru Portage (which is just over an hour drive) and pay to have them check the head gasket to see if it was even replaced.

I explained my situation, oil consumption, etc. They determined the head gasket appeared to be new. I returned for them to diagnose my car. They found another $2000 worth of work that needed to be done in order to stop the excessive oil consumption. The tech replaced: oil pump, crank seal, a/c belt, idler pulley, time belt tensioner, and PVC valve. My warranty was out by this time. I pick my car. I don't even make it through an oil change cycle and my oil light is on. I check my oil- nothing on the dipstick. I call Subaru Portage right away. I add oil as directed/ take my car back. They find oil pressure sensor and leak behind Lh camshaft seal front cover. I asked why this wasn't fixed when my car was in there 3 weeks prior. They did the repairs. I pick my car up again and AGAIN my oil is extremely low- I, again, hadn't even made it through an oil change cycle. I called, and went back.

The tech wanted to do another consumption test. He wanted me to contact him in 1200 miles. During this conversation he asked me, "what color is your exhaust smoke?" What? I have no idea. I don't look at the back of my car when I'm driving. My car has been here 4 times, and you're asking me what color my smoke is. I didn't understand this. He told me that I would either need to get a new motor or a new car. He didn't tell me why.

I called him once my oil started getting low, which was before the 1200 mile mark. He restated that I would need a new motor or new car- that I wasn't leaking oil, I was burning it. I informed him Of this the very time first took my car to Portage Subaru. He said the piston rings sometimes go bad on these things, allowing the oil the slip through. So all this money that I spent fixing around the problem, I should of spent to pay off my car. Instead I owe on a car that is worth nothing. Instead, I have a car that failed to be dependable and last a long time. I feel that I was completely taken advantage of by Subaru.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I don't think I will purchased car Subaru again after I had a bad experience with Subaru located in Troy, MI. They had an advertisement said that if you had a test drive at their location, you earned $50 gift card, no purchased necessary. So I and my husband decided to go to have a try with this brand name at their location instead the dealership on Hall Rd. We went there, did a test drive, even purchased their car. After 1 hour, I asked them about the $50 gift card. They said they would mail it to my house. It has been 2 months now after I made the purchase, I received nothing. I called the salesman, emailed him, left voicemail, nothing, no response. I called his manager and left a voicemail, no response either. I think we did purchase the car, they don't care about what they promised and their customer anymore. I should never trust them. Worst service ever. Never come back.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I own a Subaru XV sport. Bought in 2016. Performance is good. Bad experience and disappointed. Recently found that the air cond Cooler Coil leak and the music player shorted. Spend large amount of money to replace both at the same time. Never in my life I have such an experience after owning about 10 cars throughout my 20 years. What a let down. I check with the sales guy and found out that I am not the 1st. Means there are flaws. Both is out of warranty. Also.. I Cannot imagine that major problem could have occurred in a Japanese car with a short period of time. Even Proton which is famous of problems does not have such major problem. Sincerely hope that the management to seriously look into such problem. What a let down.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I purchased a 2019 CrossTrek two weeks ago. The first time I drove it in the dark I was afraid the entire time. The headlights are weird and the high beams have a mind of their own. DON"T BUY A CROSSTREK!!!! I took it back to the dealer, who looked into it and said it is factory specs. I don't like it, but it is what it is. My problem is SUBARU!!!! I called to talk to them about it, and they said they would escalate it to "Resolutions." The woman from resolutions called and basically accused me of not returning the dealership's loaner car. You can imagine my surprise, when I have been talking with the dealership, and they hadn't said anything.

This woman (who is a poor poor excuse for customer service) started the conversation with "the dealership has been trying to get ahold of you for three days." What a liar (and what a wonderful way to start the conversation). I had talked to the dealership yesterday and the salesperson was supposed to call me and hadn't. He never had any trouble getting ahold of me - they have my work number, home number and cell - NO CALLS and she had the nerve to ACCUSE ME of not returning the dealership's property???? What????

I have never been so poorly treated, never less by a supposed "resolution" person. I have spent a lot of money with Subaru, this is my fourth (AND LAST) Subaru. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER THING FROM SUBARU, I HATE THE CAR AND AS FAR AS THEIR "Customer Satisfaction" that is BS, they don't care. I will bad mouth them until the day I die!!!! DON'T BUY A SUBARU, they won't support it, and they are awful people to deal with a problem!!!! And I have to live with a new car (two weeks old) that I HATE!!!! WATCH OUT FOR THEM!!!!

Subaru Company Information