Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.78/5

Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

584 Subaru Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

We bought our Subaru Outback brand new, with about 10 miles on it, we got it because we wanted a reliable car and we loved the fact that it was a dog car. Within a few months I started noticing a vibration when accelerating, I brought it to the dealership no less than 20 times and it could not be duplicated by the technicians. Finally around 38,000 miles we bought 4-new tires, YES, FOUR! This did not help. 40,000 they replaced a rear wheel bearing (felt like vibration was in the front?), I thought this might fix it, but it still shakes.

NEXT issue, which is probably far worse! The battery. The first time we had a dead battery we had just shopped at Costco, the entire back of the car was filled with groceries, the car wouldn't start. We called the Subaru tow service, they started it but it promptly died. We had to have someone come and get our groceries, then have our car towed to the dealership. Yes, we got a loaner car for the weekend, but on Monday they said there was nothing wrong. Repeat this 2, 3, 4, 5 TIMES! I would be stuck in the garage, the car wouldn't start, my husband at work, wouldn't start. Would take off after a sluggish start, stop at a stop sign, then boom, it dies right there. Dealership response- "Hummm, looks fine, must be because you are not driving it enough, or you are leaving the lights on, or the hatch open."

We just had our 4th NEW battery put in, the last brand new battery was exactly 3-months ago. This car is a lemon. I started researching online, WOW, we are not the only ones out there with this problem, Subaru has a real problem, the battery has got to be an electrical issue. The vibration is a mystery. I used to love my Subaru, now I really dislike it.

Original review: May 14, 2019

My cousin recently bought a car at the Brunswick Subaru Dealer. She got everything she wanted. The next day the dealer called back and said they accidentally sold the car to her at too low of a discount rate and they would like her to come back and resign a new purchase agreement $5000 higher than the original agree amount. I would love to see the contract in writing with highlighted areas where the said mistake was made and a full explanation of the numbers as to how it was a mistake along with the highlighted areas in the contract that give them the right to cancel the previous agreement for a new agreement. I also referred her to my attorney hoping he can find her a good consumer protection attorney.

After complaining about the experience on Google reviews I received a response to contact the Sales Manager Mike **. I relayed the message to my cousin. You had the privilege of talking to Eli ** who was rude demanding that she return the car or re-sign a new purchase agreement. Personally this whole thing sounds shady to me. How do you mess up your own purchase agreement when spending half a day with the buyers only to let them take the car home and call two days later demanding more money for their own failure of properly reviewing their own agreement.

I'm not sure what will happen or if this will be resolved at the dealer. I just want people to be aware of this dealer in Northeast Ohio and the tactics being used. Maybe a word of advice to the dealer if they ever read this negative experiences. Get around much quicker and to the owner hire customer centric Sales Managers who are willing to own their mistakes and meet the customer half way instead of losing a customer for life and for the brand cause we definitely do not feel the love.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I purchased my 2008 Subaru Legacy in 2016 and absolutely love the car. I have never had a better car but when the airbag recall took effect that's when I found out the recall on the dashboard for melting and causing the reaction of not being able to see when the sun was shining on it. So when I called to get the dash done under the warranty they would not honor it. I just recommend when you do buy a Subaru make sure to actively check for recalls because on the airbag recall I have received over 100 notices but none for the dash. Thanks.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I bought Outback 2017 in Sept 2017. 3 mos later GPS froze then hatch flew open while I was parking & my dog jumped out. Dealer said electronics needed reprogramming & done. A year later, GPS froze again, hatch slightly jammed on rubber mat, hatch stuck closed. AAA to the rescue, dealer said needed reprogramming & done. New battery. 4 mos later, I used radio while car stopped for 10 min, drained battery, needed AAA again to jump. Told I was using too many electronic features like the radio! Now 3/2019, GPS froze, hatch stuck shut, AAA jumped. Dealer said rubber mat jammed - NOT, it was 1 mm over the space, I am careful, but yes dog jumps in & out. Told interior light of hatch was on because it jammed & drained battery overnight.

Extremely unreliable and unsafe in my opinion. Have spent hundreds of dollars in time, Ubers, taxis not to mention lost doctors appointments etc. Internet has websites of hundreds of Subaru owners with identical problems with 2016 - 2018 Subaru outbacks and foresters. Complaints of similar parasitic battery drainage for numerous reasons. They need to redesign the electronics, especially the malfunctioning sensitive hatchback and interior lights, size of battery and hatch rubber mat. Will it take a class action to get them to do this? For sale: 2017 Outback, 19,000 miles, all the bells and whistles, then some. CHEAP. (getting a Volkswagen).

Original review: March 26, 2019

My 2014 Subaru Forester was amazing when I first purchased it in Nov of 2013. I loved it. That loved was short lived. This vehicle burns SOOO MUCH oil. It's not even funny. I complained every time I took it to the dealership and they just said it was normal and to keep watching it. I recently went into the dealership and found out that back in 2015 Subaru issued an extended warranty for the oil consumption issue, however, I was WAY over the mileage. Why did no one mention this to me??? Why did I get no communication through the mail???

I emailed the corporate customer service area and they wanted to argue with me over this, saying they had sent communication and they would not honor the warranty since I was over the mileage. The ONLY assistance they wanted to provide was $500 off a new purchased or leased vehicle. Ummm, excuse me but I don't have a car payment and no way in heck I'm going to get one because of another Subaru. So, instead I'm spending $6,000 to get the engine rebuilt and never purchasing another Subaru. Reading all these reviews just confirms that Subaru has AWFUL customer service and they don't care if they lose customers or not. I'm sorry but I'm going to purchase my next vehicle from a car company that cares and works with their customers. Sorry Subaru but you guys suck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: March 17, 2019

Positives: Roomy interior. Excellent cargo space. Negatives: Poor fuel mileage. I think company overstated MPG intentionally. Touch screen disappears in direct sunlight. Uses oil badly. Poor radio quality. My first and last Subaru.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I bought a new 2019 Subaru Impreza Sport. In the 5 months of ownership I have had to replace the windshield twice already and now I have to replace it again. Subaru has the worst windshield in cars. Subaru has lost a loyal customer because they cannot install a decent windshield in their cars. I will never buy another Subaru ever. I will buy either Toyota or Honda from now on.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Needed CVT transmission at 125,000 miles - Subaru headquarters offered $1000.00 as loyalty towards the purchase of brand new Subaru! Was quoted $7500.00 at dealership for new CVT transmission on a 5 year old car! Had a used CVT transmission installed and broke down after 2 weeks driving on highway at 65 mph and car bucked and lost speed - very scary but luckily no one was behind me so I could get off the highway. Now at the transmission mechanic getting diagnosed but now I am afraid to drive it due to the sudden loss of power. This is a major safety issue.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I bought a 2015 Subaru brand new thinking it will last forever. Just told I need a new transmission and it'll cost 7000 dollars. I still owe 10000 on it. What a joke. This car should last 300,000 not 130,000.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Major transmission issues within the first 25000 miles, 2 years. Brought my manual 2017 WRX in due to noise in transmission area. They said some parts need to be replaced (bearing, etc) and they installed plate, cover, spring, fork, bearing, flywheel and the whole thing. Picked it up on Wednesday and on Thursday while driving on the freeway something popped in the transmission area and the car was towed back in the shop (Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City California) in less than 24 hours from the time I had received it. This is absolutely unacceptable. I have been driving transmission manual cars for 30 years and to get this kind of performance at such low miles is scary.

Subaru Company Information