2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.0/5 (767 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Subaru Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Bought this car brand new and am meticulous about maintenance. Cvt transmission was advertised as "no maintenance". Now they say it needs to be replaced at 150,000 miles and that this is a known defect! There was a horrible whining that started very quiet on and off in 2017 and became louder this year. We drove into a city intersection to turn, and the car stalled. We were lucky that we didn't get hit by another car. We took it to the dealership as we do all recommended maintenance and something was really wrong to make it stall like that. The dealership said that it is a CVT transmission, and they are known to have this problem. Told us to call Subaru. There was an extended warranty offered in 2018, but we never were notified of that and are the original owner. If we had the notification we would have had this fixed as it occasionally made the noise but it did not repeat when at our service center.

We would have had the dealer check it if we knew about the problem and warranty. I expected a Subaru to last longer than this before needing an $9,000 repair. Called Subaru and they offered me $1,000 toward a new Subaru. I paid $36,000 for this car. I don't think $1,000 off one now is going to help me very much for a known problem with this transmission that put us in a very dangerous situation.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Spent a great deal of time looking for a car. Have had Hondas and one Toyota in the past- usually bought when two years old and kept till 200,000 miles- all still running when sold and great cars. This is a new car, too many electrical gadgets and little education on how to use them. Now major replacement is needed that was not caught before the car was on the market- poor quality control. Now I know why they tried to sell me repair add on insurance and sign something about lemons- I’ll have to review that.

A new screen or computer: music, phone, etc is needed, supposedly affecting the battery. The “eye” (car correction) doesn’t work if there’s a little frost or snow on the upper shield covering the camera (the dealer says it’s fine- why have it if you can’t rely on it in storms?), occasionally doesn’t turn over first time and struggles the first time especially if the temperature is below 30 degrees (I live where it gets much colder), it’s kept in a garage and outside temp is 20-30 degrees and struggles starting. The restarting when stopped at lights feels like the starter will be run down in no time and sometimes it sounds like the transmission will fall out and there’s a grinding sound. The Subaru app says all is fine on its check up- not reliable or accurate.

After several hours diagnosing at the dealer, they ordered a part (the screen) of which they failed to call me to schedule a time when it came in... After waiting over two weeks, I emailed. No words of confidence or apology about this. The purchasing was simple, but after the sale, this is a different experience with them. I’ll take my simple, reliable Honda. (I dislike Honda's dealerships usually- high pressure, but the used car dealer’s owner passed away and closed- where I purchased my cars in the past, so I thought a new car would be the best choice and I liked Subaru’s low selling pressure.) How do I get rid of a new car (now almost two months old) with a history? I thought it was a great car when I bought it- first new car in 30 years, but who knows what will happen next, I don’t feel safe driving distances in it and I travel a great deal, so this is a serious concern.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I have had Subarus since in college, and find them the best option for tough terrain and reliability. But hearing about the design and promotion of larger and larger cars, I have to choose with my conscience. The planet I love to explore in my Subaru cannot sustain these giant cars. Get real and get a clue. Bring back the Justy...or the Baja. These were cars that got the job done. I would buy a Justy in a heartbeat...mine got 39 miles per gallon. What is the matter with the world? Don't we care?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

We purchased a 2019 Ascent and love many things about it. The one thing we DO NOT is the MPG. We have carefully monitored the MPG in all sorts of circumstances, even trying to drive at the speed limit on cruise control for several hours in 8th speed in the manual mode. That is where we got the best MPG at 19.2. At no other time have we been close to the quoted number. Our average has been 17.2 city and 18.8 highway, which are very different numbers from what the window sticker numbers showed. We have tried endlessly to work with Subaru of America and have had little to no help as they are not taking ownership of the discrepancy and they just keep trying to put it back on the dealership. Clearly this is a corporate issue as they build the vehicles and the dealership just sells them!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I leased this Impreza 3 days after my wife got her Subaru Ascent. I've been having issues since December with multiple warning lights showing up on my screen. Car was in the shop, they couldn't replicate issue so gave it back to me. Car went back again for same problem, even showed video of the warning lights, still couldn't figure it out and car was at the dealer for a week. Picked it up and next day lights came on again with all the warnings. Brought it back to the dealer again and it was there over a week. Just got it back on Saturday. I am requesting Subaru buy this lemon car back from me.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Due to limit of words everything in detail cannot be told. Car has had issue upon issue since new. Subaru knew this car was a lemon offered warranty. Now it has an internal engine PROB CLAIM BEING DENIED.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

First of all, I love my Subaru Crosstrek. Since it is an all terrain vehicle I was surprised to hear the vibrating and rattling in the unit. Subaru replaced the unit once, but unfortunately the rattling noise came back. Wondering if anything else can be done with the unit to stop the noise. It even rattles on the open highways. Please let me know.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Because of all the driving I do (picked up my Crosstrek August 17th, 2019 as on 1-6-2020 I have 11,555 miles) I specifically purchased a Subaru. According to the website and window sticker, miles were averaged between 27/33 per gallon. Now I know that 33 is only under extreme optimal conditions. But I thought 27 wouldn't be an issue to average at all. That being said, my car has never averaged over 26.5 on any long road trip. I'd never buy another Subaru and wouldn't recommend their vehicles to anyone!!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

2013 Outback P2764 code. Dealership advised contacting corporate and I was offered $750 toward new car! Seriously, 125,000 miles, known transmission issue with extended warranty to 2022 but not mileage? Vehicles are meant to be driven! Beware of Subaru! Not so giving!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Not only do I love my Subaru, but I sincerely appreciate Subaru’s commitment to their customers. Of course I’m not talking about the dealers, but Subaru Corporate HQ In NJ. Whenever I’ve hit a snag with the dealership, HQ has been there to help. ❤️

Subaru Company Information