Mitsubishi Motors
1.65/5
Based on 102 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Mitsubishi

175 Mitsubishi Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

I HATE THIS CAR!!! I purchased this 2002 Mitsubishi Galant in 2015 with 120,000 miles. I have only put 10,000 miles on it in three years and things that NEVER broke on other cars I've owned with 200,000 miles on them are breaking on this car. The bigger problem though is that the car is so poorly designed that no one even wants to work on it. For example, one month after I purchased the car the horn broke. Three mechanics refused to work on it because THE HORN IS INSIDE THE AIR BAG!!! To fix the horn would require replacing the airbag! So I have no horn. Another thing that broke is the flywheel, which means the car won't start. Have you ever heard of a flywheel breaking at 130,000 miles???

The real problem, however, is the flywheel does not come off separately on this car like it does on other cars. Therefore, the necessary part is NOT IN STOCK ANYWHERE, and has been on back order for a week. So I've been without my car for a week!!! Also, something I did not notice when I bought this car is that there is no keyhole on the passenger side. I have dogs that ride to the park every day, so if I want the dogs to be able to safely jump in, I must park this car with the steering wheel against the curb. This means I'm going against traffic when pulling away from the curb. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MITSUBISHI!!! I repeat, I HATE THIS CAR!!!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have an open case with Mitsubishi Motors, as of today 5/22/18 it has been 30 days. 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE - The first case manager was Lupe who was helpful and responsive, but soon as issues escalated, and the case was handed over to Yafre, I rarely got a call back, and despite my asking for calls back to inform me on the status of the case, Yafre has been horribly uncommunicative and avoiding calling me. The district manager, Mr. **, with whom I spoke only once, and with a promise to call me back, never called me back at all. I asked the main customer service line to alert Yafre's direct supervisor regarding his lack of communication, they could not, letting me know that Yafre is the only one who address the situation with his superiors.

You can clearly see the problem here, I am getting poor customer service and I cannot get ahold of anyone to help resolve the case or give me an update on the matter at hand. Although no one at an area dealership is to blame for this matter, I have no confidence in the Master Technicians with 30+ years of experience who have assisted on the same issue back in February 2018, the warrantied work did not resolve the issue, it was the incorrect repair. Now that it has been in the shop again for 30 days, Mitsubishi believes that they have resolved the issue finally, but how am I to trust the work, when the same "Master Technicians" failed the fix the first time around? I do not want the car, and I do not want the responsibility/guilt/bad conscious of reselling the car to someone knowing the issues with the car that I do not trust. Asked for a buyout, and although they did not dismiss the idea, they are not moving on a decision. Horrible.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2018

The Eclipse is a great car. I bought mine brand new in 2007 and the only thing major I had to do was getting a timing belt replaced. It still runs like a champ!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Gas mileage unbelievable, very comfortable seats, and cold AC. Effortless steering and great turning radius. Some road noise and a little short on power but the trade off is well worth it. Averaging over 40 mpg. Very satisfied with Mitsubishi Mirage.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The only thing I like is that the Mitsubishi Gallant was great on gas with a 2.5 liter engine, style was pretty decent but lesson learned, right now can't stand cars. They are too low from the ground up and they have no space, they are uncomfortable and will never purchase a car again. People will wake up and stick with SUV's and Crossovers cause they are tall and high and much more comfortable and are taking the world by storm and will save your knees from bending too much as you get older. My next toy would be Acura MDX...!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mitsubishi?

Original review: April 28, 2018

Purchase brand new Mitsubishi Lancer ES 2002 and now has 260,000 plus miles on it and I'm still getting on the freeways between 30 and 31 miles per gallon. This has been the most durable car I've ever purchased. Repairs have been minimal and it's very roomy, takes turns well, and just a joy to keep on driving.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander that I purchased brand new. In December 2017 it began shaking and was taken to Hamburg Mitsubishi for service. After a week of testing the dealership told me I needed a new engine and they were negotiating this with corporate. 4 weeks later, still negotiating the issue my vehicle was sent to interstate Mitsubishi in Pennsylvania (I live in NY). After a few more weeks they told me it was fixed and gave it back. I had it a week or so before I had to return it for ongoing issues. It was “fixed” and returned to me numerous times, all the while I kept having to drive to PA. Finally, I was told by corporate to take it back to the original dealership as they had changed hands. They had it a week or two before returning it to me again. This time it does before I even made it back to my house.

At this point I was finally told I was approved for a new engine, but it had to come from Japan and would be another month or longer. Mind you it is now April. This past Thursday I was told the engine was in and it was good to go. Today, after leaving work early to rush to an apt. I got in my car and it would not start, won’t even turn over. Throughout this process I have been without a car several times, stranded on numerous occasions. I have had numerous conversations with “Ovid” my customer service rep at corporate. I have been hung up on and told that there is nothing they can do because I’m outside the limits of the lemon law. As someone who has purchased multiple brand new Mitsubishi vehicles I cannot believe the way I have been treated. I am beyond disappointed, upset and dissatisfied and am going to tell everyone I know about my experience and encourage them to NEVER buy a Mitsubishi.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I purchased a 2016 Outlander in June of 2016. I have had four safety recalls in less than 2 years. One of those recalls being an issue with the transmission, and have had to take my vehicle in 5 times regarding this. Keep in mind I don't live in the same town as the dealership. I have to drive an hour each time I go and lose a whole day's worth. They've change management in their service department 3 times so I've had to deal with 3 different managers, and each time they just kept giving me the runaround or trying to play it off as not a big deal. To me it is a big deal because I am constantly on the road between school, sports, and work.

When my children are in danger because I am a sitting duck on the highway, "Momma bear is not happy!!" Mitsubishi has definitely ruined my car buying experience. I never had any issues with my vehicles before and actually the only reason I purchased a new vehicle was because I was getting a lot of miles on my previous and didn't wanna start running into issues. It has been an ongoing nightmare for the past almost 2 years in a brand new vehicle, this is stinkin' ridiculous. Unless Mitsubishi steps up and helps rectify this issue, I will never again purchase a Mitsubishi nor recommended. Too bad some of my coworkers have already purchased a Mitsubishi at the same dealer.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I went to Des Moines Mitsubishi Kia-Ford in Iowa to buy a t/stat and radiator cap for my Eclipse 2003. The mutt at the parts counter tells me - after diddling the PC for 20 minutes HE HAD TO ORDER THEM 3 DAY TURNAROUND - now this dump has about 25 service bays in the back - so NO ONE EVER NEEDS A T/STAT OR CAP?

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have worked for GM for years 25 +... My family has owned Mitsubishis for years, no problems at all!!! My son beat the hell out a Eclipse, it still hauls ass. Great cars. You never hear the good reviews only the bad. Look up Chevy and read all the bad reviews! It sounds like a lot of bad dealer experiences.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Mitsubishi dealership in Waukesha on Highway 16 in WI 53186, has my 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage car and the transmission is out. The service manager Marvin told me it was covered under normal warranty. Up to 60,000 miles. Now he is doing multiple questionnaires and tests that aren't covered to confirm the problem. I am up to 500 dollars and they're considering sending my car home to see if a trannie flush will kick in. I have been paying for a rental and they are committed to not to putting in a transmission but to try everything else. Probably to go over 60,000 miles so they can wash their hands of this.

I am so upset. I have 2.5 years of payments and the car is out of commission. I need help. They are giving it to me bad. They are at 262-506-3150 Marvin. Service Manager. Please help. I don't want to look for a lawyer etc. Just fix what is right and let's be honest. They have had car for a week so far and if they drove it they would know it's out. I had it confirmed with Oak Creek Auto 7984 S 27th St. 4147613250. They are going to put on new tires and this happened and their mechanic told me no doubt transmission is out doesnt go into gear when accelerating. Please restore faith in my life and someone look into this situation.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We have had very good experiences w/ Mitsubishi in the past so we didn't hesitate to recommend one to our daughter for her 1st vehicle. We were pleased w/ the purchase of her new Outlander but as soon as we drove off the lot she noticed that the Bluetooth (telephone) wasn't working properly, or should I say as it has customarily; it only came out of passenger door speaker; way down by the floor. Worse yet was that it had a very limited volume unlike the radio, etc... so there is no way to hear it properly w/out leaning over the passenger seat (while you're driving...). I contacted the dealer & spoke w/ the shop foreman, he informed me that "yes" it was designed this way as a safety precaution. Seriously??? How do they justify this?? I immediately contacted corporate Mitsubishi NA and spoke w/ a customer service rep (I won't mention the name, they were very cordial).

Upon 1st explanation of the problem the rep immediately agreed that this is not normal and stated that they would contact the foreman to rectify the issue, it was even stated that 'of course the sound should come out of all the speakers' & even quoted page # and verse in Owner's Manual. The rep put me on hold and pursued a higher authority & then contradicted previous statement indicating that this indeed performs as was designed; also quoting 'safety' as the reasoning. I inquired as to how this could possibly increase (rather than decrease) safety as the driver would always be distracted trying to hear their caller; especially if there was a package/bag or other item on the floor blocking the speaker or, more likely, a passenger's pant leg???

It was indicated that the reasoning was that Mitsubishi wanted to make sure that the driver would be able to hear any oncoming emergency vehicles. I then inquired if Mitsubishi had any plans to rectify this and was told "no". This is not acceptable and the Bluetooth is not something one normally 'test drives'. Why are we the only ones bringing this to public attention?? This needs to be rectified and shouldn't cost them as much as it would when someone gets into an accident because of it... I can think of several inexpensive ways to fix this. The volume control is fine (if they seriously think this is an issue...???) but the caller should be able to be heard on all speakers. But seriously though, if you can't hear the caller should you have to pull over for a conversation? Then what's the point of having Bluetooth??? This is absurd.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

At Mitsubishi, we’re so confident in the quality, re not honored. 2014 Mirage car only 3 years old. Warranty requires 4 oil changes prior to 40000 km. I have records of 4 changes and cannot locate the 5th. Only 35000 km on car. Requires a piston rebuild for $5000. Supposed to have a 5 year 100000 km warranty but dealer claims oil should have been changed 7.4 times and refuses to honor the warranty. I am thoroughly disgusted. Repair represents 25% value of the car new and 53% of the cars current value. As always I find you get what you pay for.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Bought a 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer. First time buyer, it only had 16,000 miles. Was driving on the highway. Felt like I was in a plane. Clocked my ears. Turn off the car to find out what was wrong. Saw nothing. Get off the highway, axles fell off front right wheel. Getting the run around. This happen on July 3 2017. We are now in 2018 and still the car is not fix, pay a monthly payment of $491.00 and insurance $212.00 and no car. What is a consumer for, or a warranty of a new car if there is no help for customers. Need help fast. Got Lemon Law involved but it taken too much time. Still Owe until 2020. What a shame.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Bought new 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander loaded out with all the bells and whistle to include the FCM system. This feature have never worked on my vehicle or my sister's. I opened a case with Mitsubishi and they are of no help. Please go to YouTube and check out how this feature should work. This system is an accident avoidance system.

I am very disappointed with how this company refuses to repair stuff that's not working properly on their vehicles. The caseworker appointed to me was very rude and their rep saw no problem with the vehicle... really!! I recommended my sister to purchase the very same model vehicle without prior knowledge of problem. FCM system does not function in her SUV either. Wish I knew then what I now know. I will eventually trade this SUV and will never buy or recommend this manufacture to anyone. Customer service is everything and this company has NONE! I know there are others with this problem. It has to do with camera system mounted behind rear view mirror. If we don't speak up they will do NOTHING!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I got 2012 Outlander Sport I got new. After 5 years my car start getting rust on the hatch door. I still cover by the warranty but Mitsubishi give hard time to take care and didn't wants to provide me with a rental. 10 year warranty and 84 months of corrosion warranty not worthy, never again buy a Mitsubishi.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Never got a call back when car was fixed. Took it in November, got cuzzed at, were very rude. Bad experience. It's December now and car is still not fixed. I will never buy a vehicle there again. Worst experience ever, unprofessional, awful.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I have a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback. Ever since I bought it, the car sometimes has to turn multiple times to start. This happens at least twice a month and I had Mitsubishi review my car a couple years ago and they said everything was fine. It's an annoyance I learned to deal with. Today my car starter died and I needed a tow out of my garage. The tow was with Mitsubishi Roadside Assistance and they towed my car to the wrong location-a farther away location by about 15 miles. I just wanted it towed 1 mile. They said I would be on the hook for the tow back to where I wanted it (at my expense). Then I find out that my economical $20k new Mitsubishi requires a special dealer part only for the starter and the cost was over $830. The average new starter at Auto Zone costs around $150.

Why would Mitsubishi make a model that requires a special starter? At the cost nearly 6 times what the average starter cost is? Because the roadside assistance through Mitsubishi towed to the wrong location, my mechanic could not complete the work and I will have to keep my rental another day-$77 more. If this is the type of engineering Mitsubishi requires of consumers-to have a special part that is ridiculously expensive and to make a mess of the tow service they promised would help (at no charge)... They have lost me as a loyal customer today. I have driven Mitsubishi since 2003. My next car will not be a Mitsubishi.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

A nightmare! 17,800 for a 2014 Mirage! Drove it off the lot it depreciated in half! The cabin smelled like sulfur. The car slipped out of gear while trying to go up a parking garage and once on a decline it rolled forward while it was in reverse gear! Thank God nobody was in front of it! And it was a automatic! The windows whistled. The tires on the road sounded like they were grinding into the pavement! The motor was equal to a leaf blower. Horrible. AND DANGEROUS! My payments were 350 through Ally. What rip-offs! I paid off 12,000. They repossessed it and sold a 2014 with 9000 miles for 6,800. They took it and drove it lot to lot on its real wheels! And auctioned it off! They want 8000 more off me. They're crazy! Horrible! I want my money back Mitsubishi!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Lied to me. Told me I was half approved on Saturday 9/16. Jimmy said to take car and come back Tuesday to finish paperwork. I said I am not leaving with the car unless I am approved. He went over finance area, came back and said you are approved. I said it's, mine he said yes. All this was said in front of the sales girl GaElle and my 21 year old. So I left. I text my sales girl and told her I had all the paperwork and she said ok see you later meaning today Tuesday. I get a text from her telling me that Alex ** is working on my approval to come in on Wednesday instead. I quickly called the dealer and asked what was going on. I get a call back from a Mr. ** telling me I am not approved and they are working on it.

I give him the whole background and he says you're not approved. I said what time are you open still I will bring the car back. I then get a call from Alex ** and he says he doesn't know why Jimmy told me I was approved and he will have a chat with him. He then says he does not know why GaElle tells me to bring paperwork in and that he will have a chat with her. Needless to say do not go there unless you want to deal with liars and a people who feed you bull just for a deal. Bad bad place. Go elsewhere please. Any questions feel free to call me **.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Forget what consumer reports and the auto mags have to say about Mitsubishi products. I have owned 3 since 1989 and they have all been great vehicles that are 100% trouble free and just go and go. Styling is nice and the ride is smooth and quiet. Also, handling and power is excellent. I understand that these are the last of the 100% Japanese vehicles imported to the USA and I feel that the Japanese have proved themselves.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I purchased a brand new 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander SE. I am furious that my Bluetooth is not working properly. When trying to place an outgoing call, more often than not it will tell me the "volume is too loud." I have a Sprint Galaxy S6 phone. A very common phone. I have also tried my son's iPhone SE and have the same issues. Mitsubishi is refusing to do anything about it. I have contacted the customer service line and got a case worker. He is stating that it is the model of the phone and the fact that it is a sprint phone. That BOTH phones may have some compatibility issues.

However, when I had a loaner 2017 Mitsubishi I had NO problems with the Bluetooth. I have video after video of evidence. It happened while sitting in the car with the tech who also video taped the error. They will not do anything for me!!! A $28,000 dollar car that I am stuck with the Bluetooth not working. I will be exploring all avenues of recourse as the case worker told me that there was no else that I could speak to about the issues and that their tech department would let me know if any other information became available. At no time will I ever buy another Mitsubishi and I feel so foolish that I purchased one to begin with!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

2014 Lancer - In April 2017, transmission malfunction caused road accident and injury of elderly male. Marius of Mitsubishi Motors refuses to have transmission repaired under warranty. Vehicle was purchased 2 months before the accident and Marius even denied cost of inspection regarding malfunction. Vehicle is still at Mitsubishi repair shop in Salinas, CA ever since insurance company had it towed there after completing body repairs stemming from accident and service dept will not release vehicle unless owner pays for inspection fee of $250 because of Marius’ denial.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I own an Outlander Aspire PHEV and received two letters from Mitsubishi Australia regarding two safety recalls. I made an appointment with Mitsubishi Pennant Hills (Sydney) and received 2 SMS from them to confirm the appointment, the last one yesterday. After spending an hour in traffic, I arrive in time at 8am only to be told that they don't have the program and hence can't do the service. They'd call back when they have the program.

This isn't the first time this happened to me. I booked a regular service at Mitsubishi Artarmon a few months ago. When I arrived they told me they couldn't do it because it was a PHEV, I had to go to Pennant Hills. When I finally got there the service was nearly $500 - for a simple check of a brand new car at 15,000km. What kind of dodgy company is that? One thing is for sure: Never again a Mitsubishi. These guys don't know what organization and good service is.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Bought a Mitsubishi 2014. Has 18000 miles. Was driving in the highway. I got to the street. Axles fell down. Hit another car that was park. Don't know how it happen. This happen July 3, 2017. Getting the run around. The bad thing is that l still owe the car. And is not fix. Would not recommend Mitsubishi Dealer. They don't help at all. Car is in 400 Route 46 in Totowa NJ. It's a shame that a new car just got damage like that and no way the manufacturer help at all knowing it's their problem.

Original review: July 20, 2017

They do not even deserve one star in my book! I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle! First, replaced the rear differential, part itself was 500$. Second, it had to have a whole new exhaust and catalytic converter. Third, I had to replace a fan and radiator because it caught on fire while I was driving it! Fourth, the safety recall for the control arm but the whole piece is rusted! I had another mechanic fix the arm but it still has rust where it connects.

Called the recall number and they can't tell me if the rusted part is part of the recall or just the arm! They told me I have to take it to the nearest dealership which happens to be 2.5 hours away, even though the recall clearly states driving in this condition could result in loss of control and a wreck may occur! So I asked if they would pay for it to be taken there, and they will not! Their poor mechanical system, and I have to risk my life to drive it, so you can fix your mistake! DO NOT BUY THIS JAPANESE PIECE OF JUNK!

Original review: July 17, 2017

Poor consumer action by Mitsubishi. As this unit a 2016 Outlander Sport with only 7,200 miles and paid for should not be driven if the four doors can open at any time due to latches being out of specification. Ricart Mitsubishi is no help as they are awaiting notification and parts. Would you drive a vehicle if the 4 doors may open at any time? If a door would open and deposit debris on your vehicle causing an accident would Mitsubishi pay??? All owners should be given loaners until this is resolved.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Last year has bought a Mitsubishi Triton single cab (demo car), year 2012 manufactured, mileage about 9,000 during purchased. Since then, found some sweet smell (like candle smell or fruit smell) is coming out from the areas near the dashboard and cooling coil affected the passenger cabin. Does anyone knows about this sweet smell? Does the smell harmful or related with mechanical malfunction? Anything can be done to remove this sweet smell? Thanks.

Original review: April 28, 2017

3 month old BRAND new Mitsubishi in for its first service and the service team are unable to get the vehicle out of "limp mode". No follow up from them. I had to contact them for progress report. They are still scratching their heads with no ETA on a resolution. The service staff are arrogant on the phone and just want you to go away. They obviously don't care about the customer once the sale is made. I would not recommend dealing with Mitsubishi, I regret buying this vehicle.

Original review: April 5, 2017

At 8 months took my vehicle to dealership in Lisle, IL where I purchased vehicle for repairs to issue of car shuttering violently upon braking. Was told I needed total brake replacement at cost of $500. Not covered by warranty. Since was car was almost brand new took someplace else and was told brake system was 100% fine. Contacted dealer. Told basically too bad they would only replace brakes. 7 years later still have issue. Still can not get dealerships to address issue. I've been told repeatedly by dealerships in Columbus Oh there is no problem.

Today I was told again that I need new brake system and they can't do anything about the fact that issue is ongoing since I purchased the car. This by far not the only issue I have had with this car since it was new. Dealerships always avoid honoring warranties both manufacturers and extended. These cars a garbage and the dealerships are liars and crooks. Go anywhere else if you but to a Mitsubishi dealership if you want to buy a new car.

Mitsubishi Motors Company Information