3.46/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru Forester

The Subaru Forester is a compact crossover SUV. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru Forester Reviews

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I bought my third Subaru Forester in March of 2017. From the moment I bought it, I knew it had no heat on the floor. I would get in the car with snow on my feet and it wouldn’t even melt off. I complained and complained, went to a different dealership, I called corporate, all to no avail. Of course it only bothers me in winter, but still, I’m paying for a lease that is not even worthy. I cannot get anyone at Subaru to listen to me help. It’ll be the LAST Subaru I ever buy.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

2008 and 2017 Foresters - on the 2008, various $ problems ** right after 30,000 miles, and then electrical system - dashboard warning icons problem - indicators stay on even though there is not a real problem, just with the system. Too expensive to bother fixing. Made the repeat mistake of buying a 2017 forester. At 10,000 miles, battery died. Dealer said it's because I do not drive enough. Huh? I drive several times a week, but apparently have to do long rides to keep battery going. They replaced the battery and "Adjusted" the computerization to accommodate low-mileage drivers. Then, the "Security" icon started blinking constantly at 11,400 miles. Could not use the fob to open the door - now on the way to dealer again re: "Calibration"- of what? Electrical system? New fob? What? No more Subarus for me!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Subaru 2010 Forester limited: purchased with extended warranty which ended April 2017. In 2018 the head gaskets developed a leak which the dealership informed us it was a common occurrence with all Subarus at or around 60,000 miles. Ours had 63,000 and it would cost between 3,500 to 3,700 dollars to replace. We had it done at a Subaru only mechanic shop for 2,500. Now here we are November 8, 2019, took in our forester for oil change (always every 3,600 miles) we let the mechanic know that just yesterday we are noticing a slight fluttering noise. He has just finished checking it out and has informed us we need a new short block engine due to rod wear. The estimated cost at 5,200 to 5,500 dollars. Our Forester has 80,000 miles and has been maintain to exact manufacturer's specifications! Maybe this vehicle is not exactly a lemon but, it is certainly sour grapes! Never buy a Subaru!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

Subaru offers a 100,000 warranty on these cars, knowing the transmission will go out around then. Ours went bad at 108,000 and they offered us nothing. Now stuck with a broke down car and needs a $9000 new transmission. Shame on you Subaru for even releasing these cars!! Wife & I we’re both avid Subaru drivers and supporters... After this experience, will NEVER buy or recommend Subaru to anyone!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester. Seriously, not happy as I have been complaining about putting 1 to 2 quarts of oil in between oil changes since it hit 60k miles. It now has 108k miles on it. It would reach 2.5k miles after an oil change and my oil light would come on. It also has a burning smell whenever I park. Of course nobody can tell me why and when my husband called Subaru, someone had the gall to tell him it is normal to add oil between changes.

We take very good care of this vehicle and make sure all maintenance is done on a regular basis. I drive over 2 hours a day and once a month I drive to other states, sometimes across country to the East Coast. So we make sure the vehicle is in top shape because I do not want to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with no help in sight. It is a serious safety concern for myself.

Having to add oil and be vigilant about monitoring my oil levels is a serious problem. What is sad is that Subaru is not addressing the full problem as they should because if I, as a consumer, had known of this issue I never would have owned a Subaru. Any engine that burns oil between changes should be addressed and fixed at the automaker's expense, not the consumers. If a car burns oil early in its life, as mine has, it will burn even more as it ages. If I have to add oil between regular vehicle maintenance, that means the costs due to excessive oil consumption adds up in addition to the expense of the routine oil changes. That is not fair to the consumer.

I feel like I have been misled from the beginning. I mean seriously, why was I not notified of the oil consumption issue these vehicles have? Why was I being told "that's normal" to be adding oil when obviously it is not. Of course Subaru service personnel did not mention to me the oil consumption issue or the lawsuit until after my vehicle was over 100k miles. Every single one of them told me there was nothing wrong.

Also, why do I have to go to the dealership and ask them about a brake light switch recall on the vehicle. I never received any notification about a recall, not in the mail and not by anyone at the dealership. I bring my vehicle there regularly to have maintenance, it is the only place I take my vehicle, so why would they not tell me about the recall or at least check for one? I was told my vehicle had a recall on it by my insurance company. Seriously, USAA had to tell me there was a recall, not Subaru. When this vehicle was purchased it was the #1 vehicle in safety and quality. That is why my Dad purchased it, instead of a Toyota, and gave it to me. He made that decision based on Consumer Reports and reviews. That was the first time ever that he bought something besides a Toyota.

I really love my car, but this is a deal breaker for me. Not sure I want another Subaru. My last car was a Toyota Sienna. I put over 230k miles on it, took it overseas for 6 years and drove it on the German Autobahn all the time and across the country several times. Even drove it in Kazakhstan a third world country for 2 years in negative 20 degree weather. Never had to add oil, ever. My car before that was a Toyota Matrix. I put over 140k miles on it and never had to add oil to it, ever. I gave that one to my younger brother. The car before that was a Toyota Prius. I put over 270k miles on it, traded it in on for the Matrix. Again, never had to add oil to it, ever. The hybrid battery did go bad at 138k miles, but Toyota stood behind their product and replaced the battery, no charge to me.

The vehicle before that was a Toyota Camry. Put over 250k miles on it. Never had to add oil to it either, ever. You see where I am going with this? Not sure I want to buy another Subaru even though my son has bought 2 vehicles from Subaru within the last 3 months based on the fact that I now own a Forester and I was considering buying another Subaru (Ascent) after a sales rep called my son and offered $10k for my Forester if I bought a new Subaru. I turned him down because my husband and I really thought I would get over 300k miles on it. Very disappointed with Subaru.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Forester?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I bought a new 2013 Subaru Forester in 2012. After owning it a very short time I noticed a leak on the garage floor. Took it into the dealer and they said I had a cracked block. Took them a long time to replace it. Good service at the dealer as I always took it in as called for in the warranty. A couple of years later once again they detected another cracked block. The rep from Subaru happened to be at the dealership and they again replaced it. I frequently had times that the I could not get the key out after I parked. Had to turn the steering wheel hard back and forth as I tried to get the key out.

Twice the car totally stalled. I could not use the brakes, shift or control the car at all. It finally rolled to a stop. The last time it happened I was terrified. The same thing happened and I rolled onto a curb and hit a light pole which stopped the car. If I hadn't hit the curb and light pole I would have rolled into into 5 o'clock traffic. I could not get the car started so had to leave it at the building where I had been for two nights. Of course the lights because I could not get the key on were on so the battery was dead. Had it jumped took it to the dealer. I refuse to drive a death trap again!! This car only has about 25,000 on it. What I do now?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

Motor is shot at 112,000 miles due to oil consumption problem. Never a service bulletin or any type warning about the oil consumption Problem. 2011 Forester. Bought new. Never again will I buy a Subaru. They should at least cover the cost. Customer service is a joke!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I own a 2016 Forester XT and I never had any issues at all. Very dependable and solid built SUV. Handles good. Accelerates good. Overall I recommend buying this year model. The only visits to dealer had been routine oil and filters change.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

AC stopped working during first summer. Dealer fixed it. Second summer AC did work. Dealer repaired it. Kept the car for a week. Third summer AC again did not work. Dealer kept car for a week and repaired. It is annoying to go to dealer that is not that close. I dreading about fourth summer. We asked them to replace the car but dealer would not do it. This is my daughter''s car. My son also has Subaru and I was looking to buy one too. Now I am not so sure. I thought there was a lemon law by same problem repeating.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

My CVT transmission failed on my 2014 Forester. This was a known issue. The warranty was extended to 100k miles because of known failures. My car has 130,000 miles on it. They offered no discounted fee for repair ($8000). This is a car company that is trying to bill itself the "reliable" car company. Since owning the car, I have had a yearly A/C Leak (with no known cause) and my oil started burning.

Subaru Forester Company Information