2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

3.4/5 (80 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Subaru Forester

The Subaru Forester is a compact crossover SUV. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Subaru Forester Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Forester?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Forester?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

2016 Forester- Anthony Subaru; Kelowna Canada. Faulty wiring harness required replacement within first 3 years. Fast forward: LESS Than 2 years later told I need a new one again. 62508 kl on vehicle. Have had to replace pedal throttle, battery and now the wiring harness again. Subaru Canada- EPIC fail on reviewing situation. Vehicle off warranty. Dealership well oops these things happen. They actually don’t! Vehicle left me stranded multiple times due to loss of power- vehicle still running while on major highway and city driving, potentially a life threatening situation. Power drops from 120kl to clunking 50kl to get off road. Solution: pay the $4000.00 and book a new harness install every 2 years. Shame on SUBARU. Consumer beware: because they don’t care. Sales first, safety last!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Endless repairs. At 47k. $500 broken horn button. Have you ever had a horn break? $750 new starter. Front end bushings. They paid for the repair. Fuse cover door fell off. Side panel over left seat controls broke. Oil consumption. The usual leak at the head gasket. That is another huge bill. Subaru said their new gasket will be the fix, to which my mechanic said the new gasket does not fix the problem. I’ve owned a lot of different cars in my life. By far my Forester is the worst overall. My beat up 64 VW beetle was more reliable. I'm waiting to see what else will fall off or go wrong. I admit, it’s a mess and a dealer will just wholesale it out. I just need to bite the bullet and get rid of my hot mess Forester for a RAV4. My Subaru mechanic agreed and Recommended a RAV4.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Just now. NEW-Edit. I purchased a used 2018 Forester Subaru in 2018. The rear lights kept getting condensation in them. Subaru replaced them yet it kept happening. I then purchased a new 2019 Forester. One year later the top of the console got indentation marks. The back of the console fell off and the date would roll at noon not midnight. Subaru would not replace the top of the console. (The date and time part was replaced). I had to get in touch with corporate. I made an issue of this and they finally said they would replace the top of the console. This should have been the dealer's job to battle corporate not mine.

Now another year goes by..2021. The same issue is happening. The console is indented, the back of it fell off, the date isn't rolling at midnight and now the driver seat has about 5 rips. The seat is falling apart. I take it to Capital Subaru. They need to get a specialist to look at it. I was told that they would not replace the top of the console or the seat. I left a message with corporate and no response. A friend of mine has a 2018 outback and 2 years later his seat did the same thing and Capital told him it was his fault because he is a big guy.. Ha!! I am 143 lbs. What is their excuse on this.

I did not see Capital making an issue and fighting to help me with this. Also, I should not be battling corporate. Ohhh..the sunroof also had issues closing at one time. When I brought it in it wasn't acting up so the problem could not be found. I went to Toyota and exchanged this lemon for a new Rav 4. I had Toyotas for 30 years before switching to Subaru. I should have stayed with Toyota.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

HEAD GASKET, if you are familiar with Subaru, then you should know, your head gasket will most likely go out, and that will cost you maybe 3,000 to fix or if it's under warranty then Subaru will get it for you. This has been a problem since 2003 we are now in 2020. My husband really wanted the new 2020 Forester. Let me preface that we had the 2007 outback and had rebuilt the engine 2 times, yes you heard that 2 times. We were out close to 5,000 after paying for it... So back to the recent story, we have had the brand new Forester less than a year and we had to rebuild this engine... 2 months later car died again... More problems.... The tow truck even mentioned that he tows a lot of these cars. Sooo, if you want an all wheel drive car go somewhere else, Subaru can't seem to solve a 17 year old problem... But there are plenty reliable cars out there that won't need an engine rebuild.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My 2012 Subaru Forester had serious engine failure and has required a large amount of money to repair the short block and all the related parts. After some internet searching, I immediate found an extensive amount of information regarding the reliability and quality of these specific engines. So much that there was a Class Action Lawsuit (my vin # seemed to be eligible at the time) regarding this engine model. Subaru had acknowledged these engines have a known defect and should have replaced them or at the very least Subaru should have informed every buyer, especially if purchased from a Subaru dealership, as my vehicle was.

Furthermore, the customer service provided by the dealership and Subaru of America has been completely inexcusable. My vehicle was at an official dealership for ten days and I never received any official diagnosis or specifics about the repair. In fact, I have never received anything from them, not even the receipt for my diagnosis payment when I was forced to tow it to another repair shop after no call backs. Again, it was there for ten days.

Subaru of America repeatedly markets their vehicles as reliable and promotes a “family” brand. I have pursued support through Subaru of America’s Customer Support and have been told “Because the vehicle has been removed from the retailer and taken to an independent shop, I will not be able to review this matter for any financial assistance.” I have now been shown by the dealership and the parent company that they do not help their loyal customers and do not honor their brand. I took my vehicle to an independent Subaru repair shop, meet the owner to discuss the repair. He answered all the questions I had regarding the specifics of the repair. I am now expected to get my Forester in two weeks for a total of $5,900.00.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

We have/had a 2012 Subaru Forrester. Never a sign of an oil leak, however it did use excessive oil for not leaking or burning oil. My wife driving home today, 9/8/20, about 2 miles from home, calls and tell me her Forrester was on fire. I got there in just a few minute to see her car totally engulfed in flames. The Forrester had left about a 1/4 mile long oil spray on the road. She said that the car slowed down and wouldn't go into gear. At that time a passerby told her the car was smoking and as she got out, a young man by the side of the road told her there was fire coming out from under the front, let's run.

I would venture to say that something in the oil system burst and burning resulted. Subaru has had problems with oil filter cracking and losing oil in other reviews that I have read, so I lean toward it being a Subaru contribution to the problem. Remember this, no leaks, no burning oil, running perfectly fine and then it's all over. Thank God she got out in time.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Would like to buy another, if it is as good as the 2007. One problem for me, was the loud cab. Too much noise for me to enjoy the music or a conversation. I maintained the gas and oil at 5K and never went near the dealership. For mountain driving, I only get 23 mpg. Last Fall, at 162,000 miles, I had to replace a wheel bearing, as it was used to carry heavy purchases, wood, steel, dogs and you name it. My local mechanic takes care of the oil change, tire rotation, inspection and wheel bearing. It doesn't owe me a thing!

Original review: July 28, 2020

I own a Subaru Forester 2014 and it has about 106K miles and is falling apart. I had to spend $$$$ to put entire new AC system. The problem I have with Subaru is its commercial and I believed in everything they said. But when I called Subaru Customer Care in NJ, the supervisor said, "Oh you are out of warranty- GOOD LUCK and SORRY." I think Subaru commercial are cute but very misleading.

Especially the following:

We believe in our product and Customer Loyalty
    We stand with our Customer

Spread the Love

Great Commercial but poor product and Terrible customer Service.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I hope to save people from heartache and financial loss with my story. Subaru engines appear to be highly questionable from head gaskets to excessive oil consumption and instead of a recall they just extend warranties a little bit. In 2016 there was a class action lawsuit against Subaru for the very issue I had - excessive oil consumption & engine failure **.

In January of 2020 I purchased a used 2011 Subaru Forester in Ohio with 56,600 miles. 42 days and 1,800 miles later, while on a trip back from Philly had issues in Maryland. Two different mechanics looked at the vehicle (one that specialized in Subaru's) and found the engine failed, there was no oil left, no evidence of an oil leak and therefore the engine was burning oil at a crazy rate. The vehicle had just gotten an oil change at the dealership before I purchased it. Eventually I came across the class action lawsuit against Subaru and how Subaru extended the original warranty to 8 years / 100,000 miles. So obviously this is what happened to my vehicle.

Since it was only a couple months past 8 years old, and well under 100,000 miles, I called Subaru of America to see if they could do anything to help me out. They refused to even consider helping me since "there was not an oil consumption test completed by an authorized Subaru dealership before the engine failed". Like a car burning through all of its oil in 1,800 miles and 42 days wasn’t enough of an oil consumption test!. When I asked to speak with a manager they said that was impossible. If you want the adventure of being stranded in the middle of Maryland for 3 days at a Best Western Hotel go with Subaru. If not, learn from my mistake and buy a Toyota, Honda, Ford or anything else.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Add my name to the many very dissatisfied with Subaru vehicles, and unfair treatment by customer service. My Forester failed the oil consumption test, and now I need a new engine at 125,000 miles - never received notification about vehicle defect and class action extended warranty. Subaru should pay to fix these defective cars that customers buy in good faith. I was told it was my problem that my Forester showed engine damage past the warranty, and my problem that I never received the notification they claim to have sent, even though I was the original owner, my address was current, I even was employed by my post office as a mail clerk, bought the car new, purchased extended warranty, did all maintenance servicing, and had oil changed every 5,000 miles, and brought car in for airbag repairs when I received notice. Had I been sent notification, I would have immediately brought car in for inspection within the warranty time frame.

Subaru Forester Company Information