3.84/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru Forester

The Subaru Forester is a compact crossover SUV. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Subaru Forester Reviews

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I own a 2016 Forester XT and I never had any issues at all. Very dependable and solid built SUV. Handles good. Accelerates good. Overall I recommend buying this year model. The only visits to dealer had been routine oil and filters change.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

AC stopped working during first summer. Dealer fixed it. Second summer AC did work. Dealer repaired it. Kept the car for a week. Third summer AC again did not work. Dealer kept car for a week and repaired. It is annoying to go to dealer that is not that close. I dreading about fourth summer. We asked them to replace the car but dealer would not do it. This is my daughter''s car. My son also has Subaru and I was looking to buy one too. Now I am not so sure. I thought there was a lemon law by same problem repeating.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

My CVT transmission failed on my 2014 Forester. This was a known issue. The warranty was extended to 100k miles because of known failures. My car has 130,000 miles on it. They offered no discounted fee for repair ($8000). This is a car company that is trying to bill itself the "reliable" car company. Since owning the car, I have had a yearly A/C Leak (with no known cause) and my oil started burning.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I own a 2015 Forester. Safety and AWD get 5/5 stars. However, cheap quality materials and a major design flaw has made me want to hate this brand to the fullest. The design flaw: The right and left corners around the rear seat have a panel that's too broad to be popping out. This is a place where passengers sit. The plastic should not be there in the first place. The only reason this is an issue is because the plastic used is the worst quality I've seen in any vehicle in my entire life. It is so this and flimsy that you could push it with your pinky finger and see it pushing in the hollow space. The plastic is super thin and very cheap quality. When a passenger sits in the rear seat, the plastic pushed in and cracked. I've replaced it twice already and it broke again within a week of replacing the panel. Each time cost me $672 to replace the panels. The only solution to this is to use hard plastic that wouldn't break or be so hollow.

Another quality issue in the interior is squeaky sounds in the rear. Every part used in the interior feels as though it might just fall apart. On the exterior, braking, and poor quality bearings are an issue. A point to note is that I've never taken this car off-road even once and the bearing had to be changed. I've also changed the brakes twice at Mavis Auto. There are few other issues but I wouldn't point out yet without getting them inspected. I maintain my car properly. Changed oil every 5000 miles, cabin filter, engine air filter change, tire rotation and alignment every 10000 miles.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Just leased a 2019 Forester - nothing but problems. Got it 2 weeks ago and it’s at the Subaru service center where they said it would be three days to get a new part. NOT impressed with their quality control.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Forester?

Original review: June 28, 2019

I researched Subaru before I bought one. Should have went with my gut. They settled a class action suit for oil consumption a few years back and everything I read said the issue had been fixed. NOT!! I ordered my 2016 Forester because you can't find a car with a manual transmission anymore. The first trip I took in it the oil light came on. I thought it was because coming from the factory maybe they just didn't fill it up. The next trip I was on the oil light came on again. Started an oil consumption test. The nearest Subaru dealer is a 2 hour drive from me. 1st test showed no loss of oil. Went on another trip, repeat. When I went for the last leg of yet another oil consumption test I was 100 miles short of their 1200 miles they require so they refused to do it. 3rd trip repeat! I am so sick and tired of always having to check my oil and always having to have a quart in the trunk.

The Second thing is the upholstery. I have had this car 3 years and the drivers seat upholstery is fraying in several pieces. As far as I am concerned this car is a piece of crap. I am going to trade this in for a Toyota as fast as I can. I doubt that I will get a fair trade in. I had a 1999 Toyota Tacoma up until last year and NEVER had a problem with it. Subaru sucks!!

Original review: April 24, 2019

Gear shift and electrical problems. Keys started to get stuck in the ignition after turning the car off and putting it in park. Since it is over 36,000 miles, there is no warranty coverage. Will cost $450 to fix this unbelievable problem. Headlights keep going out. It is seemingly random. Not sure how much this will cost. I tried a Subaru for its quality reputation. That has not been my experience. Thinking of trading this in before I get more weird problems.

Original review: March 19, 2019

The Eyesight team technology is a hindrance. When it works it's ok. But it fails more than it works. When in fail mode it will more allow the use of cruise control. The disable button still will not allow cruise to work. On a nice sunny afternoon ok unless the sun is somewhat in front of you. At night on black highway mottled roads, wet roads, extreme cold or when it just is off because it thinks you can't see.

Resolution response: Dec. 22, 2018

Thankfully the catalytic converter issue is now being resolved by the dealership.

Regarding the transmission, I will still like to hear from SOA.

I will update when I receive the car back.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I bought a Forester XT in late 2014. I have babied this car in the hopes of keeping it forever. Only top tier gas, and regular Subaru only service with the best oil. From day one I experienced sluggish and unsteady acceleration, bucking, surging, and at high speeds engine slippage which I have complained about to the dealers with no resolution. I am aware now that these problems are widespread on my car model year.

In the past two years I have had to visit the dealer countless times for transmission leaks. While last year, Subaru of America extended warranties on the transmission to 100K miles, I have also seen an uptick on transmission problems as the car ages. At this rate, when the time the car is past warranty, the car won't have much value.

Two weeks ago, I took it in for an oil change at the local dealership (Serramonte). They again found a leak in the transmission and kept the car for a week. Upon pickup, I see they are towing the car into the lot. Apparently the car stalled on a test drive and had to be towed. They claim to have fixed the issue, and I pick up the car and the next day the engine light pops, along with Emissions and traction control lights. I take it back in to find that they want to replace the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors at full cost to yours truly.

While appalled that this all occurs within the span of 2 weeks being in their care, they have to gall to charge me for service and parts that are under their legal duty to pay. Federal law and their own warranty booklet states that defective catalytic converters and other ECM parts are covered until 80,000 miles (I have 75K at the time of writing). Now they tell me to call Subaru of America to make a case for myself.

After this most recent nightmare episode, I'm beside myself. I am truly left out to dry by my car, their dealerships, and the company that doesn't stand behind their product which has been plagued by numerous accounts of malfunctions. SOA is closed for the holidays, and I needed to vent. I'd like to hear if anyone has had similar experiences and how they got help. I'm desperate for a resolution to this car.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My brother bought a 2014 Forester, which I really liked, so I bought a 2017 Forester. This car and service has been a complete disappointment. It started after my first oil change/maintenance visit. The car started to have loud vibrating noises coming from the dash and the trunk. I took it in for a second service visit. I mentioned the noise, they said they would look into it after the oil change and tire rotations. I was optimistic. After, they said they fixed the issue. 20 minutes into my drive, the noises came back. I also noticed that they did not rotate the tires, even though they assured me they did. I know this because I had a oil/grime smudge on the front passenger wheel, which was in the same location after the “rotation.” I also checked the oil. To my surprise, it was quite dirty and definitely had not been changed. I brought the car back, the service manager seemed concerned and assured me they would take care of it.

Once again, a day after driving it, the loud vibrating noises came back. At this point, I contacted corporate Subaru. They basically told me that they couldn’t do anything and that if I wanted my vehicle serviced, to take it to another location. At this point, the key fob would randomly not work, and the car battery would die. I took the car to another location. At first, it seemed like they would do a better job. They told me that they welded the columns in the trunk back together and that it was a known issue. They said they checked the battery and the key fob, that both were good.

The noises came back about a week later. The car would also randomly die and need to be jump started almost daily. During each visit, I would email corporate Subaru. They basically have done nothing. They said they would escalate this and reach out to me. It has been 2 months now and I have heard nothing from them. I have sent multiple emails requesting a call, I have tried calling many times. Each time I call, I get put on hold after asking for a manager. Each time, I wait on hold for at least 20-30 minutes and then get conveniently disconnected. I am glad Subaru’s real reputation is coming out and making people realize how bad they really are.

Subaru Forester Company Information