Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

The Subaru Forester is a compact crossover SUV. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Subaru Forester Reviews

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I love my 2010 Forester, however, the pick up is weak. I cannot accelerate as quick as I would like to, especially in scary situations on the highway. Subaru puts 4 cylinders in their cars to save on gas, and I understand that, but my car is a little slower than I would like. I have taken this vehicle all across the country. I have done a lot of off-roading in the Nevada, Arizona and California deserts as well as the mountains in California, New York, Utah, etc. It did very well on rough, icy and muddy roads. I actually lived and slept in this car for a while. Surprisingly comfortable! I love my Subaru. I put over 50,000 miles on it since I bought it used back in 2017. I will definitely consider a newer Forester when the time comes to purchase another car.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

This is my fourth Subaru. I've owned two Outbacks and two Foresters. Each one I've owned has given me excellent service, with no problems whatsoever. I am especially pleased with the safety features on my 2019 Forester Limited. Mine has Eyesight front collision prevention, lane departure warning, lane-keeping assist, rear collision prevention, and blind-spot monitoring. The 2019 Forester is larger than its predecessors, peppier, and gets better mileage. How do they do this? Subaru clearly listens to its customers, and this is reflected in each year's improvements. My only complaint in previous models was the turn signal clicker. I often couldn't hear it over traffic noise or the sound system. Subaru fixed this with the 2019 models. I can hear it, even while playing the excellent Harmon Kardon sound system, and it's not obnoxious. Just loud enough to tell me that my turn signal is on. It's this attention to detail that will keep me a loyal customer.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I love this car as it makes me feel safe. It is easy to drive, has ample leg room and is high enough for me to get in and out with ease. I also like the fact that it is a very safe car with an internal frame that makes for a secure feeling. My wife drives one as well and she was t-boned by a large pick up and escaped unscathed. It also offers substantial storage and carrying capacity. I would recommend this vehicle to any one.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Four months into ownership, 2nd Subaru. Fuel mileage great. Sometimes phone connection is slow on bluetooth. There is no really center console space for stuff. Seat belt connections are too low. I had to buy extenders so I could reach them. They are okay if you are short and move your seat forward, but if not they are between the seat and center console and hard to get to. Also, the door pockets could be just a tad deeper say another 1/2 inch of space so you can actually get stuff and your hand in there.. Also, the fabric floor mats that come with the vehicle are junk. Make them better or remove them from the price. However, they did come with great plastic floor mats which are the only ones I use.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

The Forester drives like a Cadillac. The interior is very roomy, and Subaru's Eyesight safety system and AWD come standard on all models. This vehicle is rated 5 stars out of 5 stars for crash safety by the NHTSA. Also gets an average of 28 mpg which is also #1 in the subcompact SUV category. Consumer Reports gives the Forester a rating of 84 out of 100 which is one of the 3 highest-rated vehicles they have rated. Great Value. Warranty is average. Would buy again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Forester?

Original review: March 2, 2020

Add my name to the many very dissatisfied with Subaru vehicles, and unfair treatment by customer service. My Forester failed the oil consumption test, and now I need a new engine at 125,000 miles - never received notification about vehicle defect and class action extended warranty. Subaru should pay to fix these defective cars that customers buy in good faith. I was told it was my problem that my Forester showed engine damage past the warranty, and my problem that I never received the notification they claim to have sent, even though I was the original owner, my address was current, I even was employed by my post office as a mail clerk, bought the car new, purchased extended warranty, did all maintenance servicing, and had oil changed every 5,000 miles, and brought car in for airbag repairs when I received notice. Had I been sent notification, I would have immediately brought car in for inspection within the warranty time frame.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I purchased a brand new 2012 Subaru in 2011 (my first Subaru). Up until last summer at 102,000 miles I loved it, then all went downhill. I took it in to the dealership for an unusual noise and was told it would need a new short block engine as it was 3 quarts low on oil. How can that be I asked since not one single dash light had come on during this time. Well when did you last have the oil changed he asked and I replied that he could check in his system since the dealership did my oil changes.

3 quarts low in 2700 miles... $5300 later I still pressed for an answer as to why none of my dash lights warned me and was told it was due to a failed oil pressure gauge. Like I said I believed in Subaru but now get a little nauseous at the Subaru Love ads and say a little prayer when I leave for work that I will get there. Just mad at myself that I have spent another 1/4 cost of a new vehicle instead of getting rid of it then. To be clear I did all my required maintenance from my purchase, but in the end it cost a lot.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

There's a reason you see so many Subarus on the road! When we needed to replace our long loved Ford Edge, we assumed it would be with another Ford. Then, we tried the Subaru with the "eyesight" feature and we were sold. I also have an issue with my back and the seats were a perfect fit.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Very good for snow and off road terrain, huge cargo space, however underpowered to a fault. Main problem so far is that driver’s seat is very uncomfortable, and steering wheel does not extend sufficiently, either your legs are bent or your arms uncomfortably stretched, otherwise, serves the purpose.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Major work needed to be done at 80k. Engine reseal with cams and something else. Right now the transmission sounds bad and I need need new shocks and struts before I get tires. I bought this car 2011 and expected no major work until 150k. Very disappointed.

Subaru Forester Company Information