4.59/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

22 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have owned Subarus for many years and I love my Forester. It is durable, has all wheel drive for snow in Massachusetts, it is roomy and comfortable. Most importantly I feel it is a safe car.

Original review: May 8, 2018

2009 Subaru Forester with only 35,500 miles. Constant recalls and mechanical issues. However, great customer service from the dealership. The newer models have greater mechanical reliability.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Fuel efficient, roomy, comfortable, top safety awards, low maintenance, AWD, second one I have owned, feel safe in this Subaru Forester. Bluetooth sync with phone makes for hands free driving. Easy to use touchscreen.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Subaru Forester 2017 is a great car with the safety features such as lidar, all wheel drive, etc. Great producer of these cars. The Subarus have built a following among consumers.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have a Subaru Forester 2010 with 100,000 miles on it. I really like it for its reliability, the way it handles in snow. I wish it were another color as I have trouble finding it in parking lots, and I think the front could be better designed to hold necessaries... It is a basic model, gets about 24 mpg...and frankly, it can't be beat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Forester?

Original review: May 4, 2018

This Subaru Forester is the second new car I've bought. Wanted to buy American but had nothing but very bad luck with the T-bird I bought. I worked on night shift for 40 years and really wanted a dependable car -- this Subaru is it! The only servicing I've had done is regular maintenance and the dealership in San Rafael is outstanding and for a single woman really helped me out and guided me as to what was needed and when. So glad I bought the car. It's a 2002 and I still love it.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I got a Subaru Forester last summer. I live in a lake-effect snow belt where storms and large snow-fall is legendary. This was my first winter driving my Subaru and it was amazing. I got through piles of snow, blizzards where I was plowing snow with my vehicle on the interstate, and never got stuck. I felt very secure and wish I had always owned a Subaru.

Original review: May 2, 2018

While it is hard to beat a Subaru Forester in winter driving conditions, they are a "finicky" vehicle. Subaru almost insists that you follow their maintenance schedule which is grueling if not quite expensive.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The Subaru Forester is quiet and comfortable, holds everything we need to put into it, and gets great gas mileage. The electronics and radio controls on the console and on the steering wheel are great as well.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Subaru Outback - well-made, thrifty, roomy with excellent driving visibility. Enough power in its 4 cylinder engine to pull up to 2700 tongue weight (Forester tops out at 900 lbs). 4 cylinder is about 250 lbs. lighter than the 6 cylinder. Buy the 4 cylinder. Economy varies from 25 mpg in city winter traffic, to 39 on the open highway in summer. Great balance and traction in slippery weather conditions. Best car on ice I've ever driven. Convenient controls and smart night lighting. Excellent ground clearance and intelligent design, well executed. Kudos Subaru!

Original review: April 30, 2018

I've had this Subaru Forester for 15 years and I've loved every single minute of it. Not a single major problem. Comfortable, well equipped. When I start looking for a different car this is the one I would consider first.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I just moved to a mountain community where I was warned that I should have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I hadn't expected to get another car, but when my former car died, car shopping was mandatory. I began on CarGuru and spent weeks looking at Subaru Foresters. I've had many people tell me how great a Subaru is. When I found a few, and went to drive them, I was sold, even before the test drive. They are AWD and are not cumbersome, or too big. The size of my Subaru is really a perfect size for me. I love the way it drives around the curves of the mountains.

I love that the rearview mirror shows me what direction I am travelling. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to keep it clean since it is a tall SUV, and I can't reach the full size of the windshield to clean it, nor can I reach the roof of the vehicle for washing. Other than the tall size, it is easy to maintain and I have loved every mile it takes me. I have been getting 29.4 miles per gallon, which is more than I expected for an SUV.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Wish the Bluetooth radio on Subaru Forester was friendly. Gets too touchy. Otherwise awesome Car and handles great. Easy to get in and out and no blind spots. Free oil change for 2 years and great service.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Based on excellent reviews, I bought a used 2001 Subaru Forester. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED! Repairs are expensive. A lot of the trim & features such as cup holders break compared to a Toyota that I had years ago prior to this Subaru. The rearview mirror & the headlights fogged over so badly that they had to be replaced; also the compass beneath the mirror stopped working. Temperature gauge on the dashboard suddenly stopped registering correctly or engine heat not being controlled right so that not enough engine heat is retained in the engine to run efficiently -- not corrected by replacing thermostat. Was told I would have to replace the whole dashboard & instrument panel to possibly correct. Mechanism to open the moonroof broke. Most frustrating is that despite trying several Subaru dealerships for repairs, NONE of them have technicians who can use reasoning skills to diagnose or figure out a problem!

Original review: April 27, 2018

In this tundra like zone, having a reliable 4 wheel drive vehicle (Subaru forester 2016) is important (to me). As I travel, I see other cars off the road waiting for tow trucks while I travel safely and securely.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This is our third Subaru. We love these durable, good looking vehicles. They handle well and perform well whether it's a short errand to town or a long distance drive for an out of town wedding. As a Realtor I need a reliable vehicle and my Subaru Forester fits perfectly.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Subaru Forester all wheel drive is of the best cars I have owned. High seating and comfort level. High gas mileage and glides like a sled on ice. Automatic bells and whistles sounding off to keep you abreast of any changes on the road when driving.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Subaru Forester performance-wise very good but appearance, not so much. Missing the "wow" factor. Relatively get very good ratings. We had Honda before and thought we would try Subaru this time.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Comfortable and easy to enter as seats are higher. Good for elderly as not necessary to fight getting out. Excellent view outside the windshield so better visibility to drive. Trunk is easy to open and large enough for suitcases or groceries. Possible to put extra luggage on top of roof as bars are present. Seats are comfortable in both front and back so four people fit comfortably. It is possible to manage 3 small people (kids) in back seat. The position and angle of driver’s seat can be easily changed electronically. Radio and disk player work well with excellent sound. Subaru Forester all-wheel drive makes it easy to get up hills in snow and downhill on lower gear.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We have owned the Forester for only about 8 months so I have tempered my ratings accordingly. I am favorably impressed with the overall performance of the Forester. It has enough "get up and go" for me even though we do not have a turbocharged model. With more than 6000 miles of driving, we are averaging almost 29 mpg combined city and highway. Leg and headroom are ample. Customer service, at least at our dealership (Sangera, in Bakersfield, CA) has been extraordinary, so far - we have only been there once for scheduled maintenance but they went above and beyond our expectations to accommodate us.

I have had the vehicle off road once and was quite impressed. While not a "rock crawler" it handled the ups, downs and sand easily. We have very few complaints and they are minor: Air conditioning fan is loud, but we live in the desert so it is operating in the top three speeds most of the time. Visors are on the small side. While front to back legroom is ample, side to side is a little tight. Bottom line, we are satisfied with our purchase, though if I had to do it again I think I would opt for white instead of silver and I might look a little more closely at the Outback.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Great car but has an excessive oil consumption problem. The 2011 Forester is a good car to drive. Good visibility, good power, comfortable but it consumes much more oil than it should.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

Excellently made car. Have had absolutely no issues with this car, always in top condition through rain, snow, sleet, hail, heat, etc. When I was initially shopping for cars I never would have thought that I would love my Subaru the way I do, but the moment I sat in my Forester and drove it around the block I knew I had to have it. First, Subaru dealerships also don't pay their employees on commission, so there is no need to be haggled and harassed. They state the true and honest facts about their vehicles. My Subaru has not depreciated in value, and even though it is a 4 wheel drive car NO maintenance has ever been done to it besides an oil change every few thousand miles. Worth every penny. Oh, and don't forget about Eyesight. It has literally saved my life (and my insurance premiums) more times than I can count. You won't regret it buying this extremely well made and beautiful car. I know I haven't.

Subaru Forester Company Information