3.9/5 (365 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Subaru

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Subaru Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I purchased a 2019 CrossTrek two weeks ago. The first time I drove it in the dark I was afraid the entire time. The headlights are weird and the high beams have a mind of their own. DON"T BUY A CROSSTREK!!!! I took it back to the dealer, who looked into it and said it is factory specs. I don't like it, but it is what it is. My problem is SUBARU!!!! I called to talk to them about it, and they said they would escalate it to "Resolutions." The woman from resolutions called and basically accused me of not returning the dealership's loaner car. You can imagine my surprise, when I have been talking with the dealership, and they hadn't said anything.

This woman (who is a poor poor excuse for customer service) started the conversation with "the dealership has been trying to get ahold of you for three days." What a liar (and what a wonderful way to start the conversation). I had talked to the dealership yesterday and the salesperson was supposed to call me and hadn't. He never had any trouble getting ahold of me - they have my work number, home number and cell - NO CALLS and she had the nerve to ACCUSE ME of not returning the dealership's property???? What????

I have never been so poorly treated, never less by a supposed "resolution" person. I have spent a lot of money with Subaru, this is my fourth (AND LAST) Subaru. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER THING FROM SUBARU, I HATE THE CAR AND AS FAR AS THEIR "Customer Satisfaction" that is BS, they don't care. I will bad mouth them until the day I die!!!! DON'T BUY A SUBARU, they won't support it, and they are awful people to deal with a problem!!!! And I have to live with a new car (two weeks old) that I HATE!!!! WATCH OUT FOR THEM!!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

300 thousand and most reliable car I have ever owned. 1997 Subaru still going with less in shop time of any car I ever drive/owned/seen before. Maintenance only including the big stuff. Love my Subaru.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I purchased a brand new Subaru Ascent from Toyota/Subaru of Corvallis about two months ago. I also purchased the extended “bumper to bumper” warranty for the car that is good for 7 years/100,000 miles. The Sunday before last (August 11th), the middle seat (the Ascent has 3 rows) quit sliding forward and backward on the track that it was on. I made an appointment on Friday, August 16th for the dealer (Subaru of Corvallis) to take look at the seat. They confirmed that the seat was not functioning correctly and informed me that they would need to schedule another appointment to fix it (they needed an entire day to do it). So I scheduled an appointment on Monday, August 19th, for them to fix the seat.

They called me around 11:30 on Monday, August 19th, and told me that there was a rock stuck in the track of the seat, and that they had tried everything to get the rock out of the track but had failed. They then informed me that my “bumper to bumper” warranty would to cover replacing the track, and that it would cost me around $1300 to get an entirely new seat assembly (apparently the track cannot be replaced separately, and that the entire seat assembly must be replaced). The car has approximately 2,000 miles on it! They also told me that they could not put the seat back into the car the way it was because it was a liability for them, and that they needed to fix it before I could get the car back.

Needless to say, I was angry that the “bumper to bumper” warranty wouldn’t cover the issue, and that I would be without a car until they could order the part for the track and get it replaced (they said that they would need to order the part from the east coast somewhere). I called Subaru customer service, and they stated that the issue was not a design flaw, and that they would not cover the repairs. They said that a rock getting into the car was a foreign object and there was no design flaw of the track for the seat.

Apparently, I can never allow another rock to get into the car again! I then called my insurance company (State Farm) and filed a comprehensive claim. They are still debating whether or not they can cover it. My questions are these: For a company that is known for their rugged image and adventurous spirit, is Subaru going to stand up an admit that a little rock can completely ruin their seats? Apparently that is the case here! How is this not a design flaw???

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

This car is a death trap and Subaru will do nothing about it. We really liked the car until about a month ago the gas pedal stopped responding in the fast lane. Just started coasting; had to get to the shoulder with no acceleration. It suddenly started working again. Drove it straight to the dealer. They had it overnight but couldn't find an issue due to no error code being produced. On the way home it did it again. No response in the gas pedal. Again, had to coast to the shoulder. Drove it right back to the dealer. This time they have it 2 weeks and replace the entire CVT assembly. Driving home from work the next day, it does it again. Take it straight in. Now they're telling me there is nothing wrong with my 3 year old, 30,000 mile Forrester. To top it off, Eric from Subaru Corporate made it seem like I'm making the whole thing up. I don't even know what to do. I can't put my kids in this thing.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

The company had a problem with the sunroofs of 2014s. They did provide new carpeting the first time our car flooded, which is an admission it's the company's fault. But now nothing and we're left with a flooded, mildewed car, which by the way induces asthma. Terrible response from the company. Will not buy a Subaru again.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

The first service manager raised the rubber hood pads to even the hood. He said it's not perfect but to Subaru tolerances. After I sent Subaru photos of the crooked hood, they agreed with me. But then I was told the service manager said this is within tolerances. Subaru said to get a second opinion. I called the dealer they recommended. The service manger would not call me back. After a week of back and forth emails and calls to Subaru, the service manager finally called me back. They are looking at the issues today. The r/l fender gaps were equal when I bought the new car with 5 miles. I am concerned with the right fender and front end separating after two months of ownership. There were also some interior quality control issues they had to address.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

2000 Legacy Brighton (Wagon). I brought this used for $5500 with 96,000 miles in 2010 or 2011. I currently have 201,800 miles. I did have a spark plug blow out. The mechanic used helicoil instead of replacing the head and it seems to be holding (wood-knock), fan relays failed once causing overheating. Just recently replaced a failed valve cover gasket (by myself in about 30 minutes). My hood release cable failed a while ago. Trunk latch is sticky now. The rear "bonnet" leaked until I replaced the entire rear deck lid. This used to cause the light sockets to fill with water during rains. I went through 3 light bulb wiring harnesses before replacement. Also, a victim of their infamous rear wheel well rust patterns. I've replaced the exhaust once since I've had it too. I love this car. It's quiet as a mouse and 100% beast in the snow. I'm nervous about getting about getting another RU, as I've seen some pretty negative reviews.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Subaru Forester 2015 got broken windshield after 1 1/2 years. I went to a glass dealer who contacted Safeco Insurance who approved replacement. Then 1 year later, the EyeSight started giving trouble. Eventually it quit working altogether. The Subaru repair place said the problem was an aftermarket windshield I had purchased and they would not fix the EyeSight until I replaced the windshield with a Subaru brand windshield which cost about $1000. The Subaru man said the glass and insurance companies all know about this. But the glass companies say they have no problem with aftermarket glass and Safeco says they take no responsibility unless I use one of their approved glass companies.

So now I have a Subaru with no cruise control with all of the companies telling me that the EyeSight problem is my fault because I didn't know to get an official Subaru windshield by an approved Safeco installer and they won't fix the EyeSight until I make everything right again at my trouble and expense. I don't believe the windshield has anything to do with the EyeSight failure.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We purchased this vehicle Brand new and have experienced nothing but issues within the first year. The vehicle now has 10k miles and I’ve experience jerking from the transmission, my panoramic sunroof cracked for no reason (no point of impact), and the most troublesome has been the automatic liftgate; the liftgate constantly gets stuck with a non-stop chiming and the only way to reset it is no remove the battery!!!! This is a known problem and a quick Google search will prove a lot of consumers have similar problems with this vehicle. I’ve had the liftgate become stuck in the airport, hotels, etc. This is not only embarrassing but completely unacceptable for a brand new 40k vehicle!? Come on Subaru!!!! The quality is terrible!!! Never again!

Original review: July 16, 2019

Contacted Subaru about a recall on my dashboard because I lost the recall card. They told me that that recall was over in June around the end of the month. I call on July 15th. I told them that there was no date on the card that noted when the recall was done. The representative was very nice but they still would not replace it. I feel they are responsible because they used fabric that melts in the sun. I feel that Subaru quality has gone downhill in their cars. BUYER BEWARE!!! Oh, but they did send me a $300.00 COUPON IF I DO WANT TO REPLACE IT. Thanks but no thanks. The estimate was $780.21 to replace it. Plus a lot of their cars have a head gasket problem.

Original review: July 10, 2019

In the first six months I owned my Outback (purchased new) my "infotainment" system failed and had to be replaced -- it took six weeks for the replacement to come in! I was without navigation, radio, Apple Car Play and rear back up camera. Six months after that and while on vacation, the Eye Sight system has failed leaving me without adaptive (or any kind of) cruise control, lane departure warning/correction, front crash warning and a few other Eye Sight features for which I paid a handsome price. This is far from the experience I expected from Subaru. I was confident in my decision to purchase this vehicle and I have to be honest - I have buyer's remorse. I have to take the car into the dealership when I return home so I do not currently know what precisely the issue is with the Eye Sight system.

Original review: July 4, 2019

We are very disappointed with our first Subaru. We've had it about 3 months and I can't count the times we were coming out from shopping and the rear hatch would not open no matter what we did. No 65 year old should have to load groceries by crawling to the back from the passenger door. The dealer wants you to bring it in to reset it every time but after searching this major issue online I found a way to reset it myself. This needs to be addressed by Subaru, it's such a pain as well as some other features that don't always work. I'm about ready to take it back, that's how frustrated we are with it. First time buying anything but Ford or Chevy products the past 45 years, that won't happen again.

Original review: June 18, 2019

What Fool I was, I thought Subaru Pre-Owned Certified meant that I was likely to get a decent car. So foolish of me. I know the saying “buyer beware”. Well Dear Santa Fe fellow buyers do beware and go somewhere else. Subaru Impreza 2015 $20,000 39,000 miles Pre-Owned certified. I thought if it said I had 50% of my brakes when I bought it that it was safe. I should have known when the blades on the wipers were shot even though they were checked off on the two page "Pre-Owned Certified" document. Should have given it back then. The brake pads are shot, and apparently have been since I got it. Which is what the brake light flashing when I make a right turn means. Almost $500. Major safety issue. They advertise a car wash with every service, but for me, only if I ask. The AC got “fixed “. it worked for one evening. The same issue happened with “Auto Start”, it was fixed and broke within 10 days. It was fixed again yesterday.

They fixed the brakes for free after a winter of driving on dangerous snow-covered steep narrow twisting dirt road. The kind of road Subaru is good at it, with brakes. Everyone who drives my road blanches when I mention Subaru pre-certified bad brakes. Tried to trade straight across, they wanted to up sell me. Then I got rear ended in a hit and run, now it has had an accident. Can’t wait to dump this car. Don’t buy from Honda Subaru they happily sold me Pre-Owned Certified a car with dangerous brakes. “Buyer Beware”. So is everything else checked off on the pre-owned certified an error as well? Go To to Hueberger in Colorado Spring, or to Toyota, CarMax, Sweet Motor Sales, the funky places on Cerrillos Road. Avoid Subaru Honda!! And stay away from Gregory **. They fixed the brakes, as I drove home everyday of a snowy winter, but not the relationship. Avoid this dealership and Greg **. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We bought our Subaru Outback brand new, with about 10 miles on it, we got it because we wanted a reliable car and we loved the fact that it was a dog car. Within a few months I started noticing a vibration when accelerating, I brought it to the dealership no less than 20 times and it could not be duplicated by the technicians. Finally around 38,000 miles we bought 4-new tires, YES, FOUR! This did not help. 40,000 they replaced a rear wheel bearing (felt like vibration was in the front?), I thought this might fix it, but it still shakes.

NEXT issue, which is probably far worse! The battery. The first time we had a dead battery we had just shopped at Costco, the entire back of the car was filled with groceries, the car wouldn't start. We called the Subaru tow service, they started it but it promptly died. We had to have someone come and get our groceries, then have our car towed to the dealership. Yes, we got a loaner car for the weekend, but on Monday they said there was nothing wrong. Repeat this 2, 3, 4, 5 TIMES! I would be stuck in the garage, the car wouldn't start, my husband at work, wouldn't start. Would take off after a sluggish start, stop at a stop sign, then boom, it dies right there. Dealership response- "Hummm, looks fine, must be because you are not driving it enough, or you are leaving the lights on, or the hatch open."

We just had our 4th NEW battery put in, the last brand new battery was exactly 3-months ago. This car is a lemon. I started researching online, WOW, we are not the only ones out there with this problem, Subaru has a real problem, the battery has got to be an electrical issue. The vibration is a mystery. I used to love my Subaru, now I really dislike it.

Original review: May 14, 2019

My cousin recently bought a car at the Brunswick Subaru Dealer. She got everything she wanted. The next day the dealer called back and said they accidentally sold the car to her at too low of a discount rate and they would like her to come back and resign a new purchase agreement $5000 higher than the original agree amount. I would love to see the contract in writing with highlighted areas where the said mistake was made and a full explanation of the numbers as to how it was a mistake along with the highlighted areas in the contract that give them the right to cancel the previous agreement for a new agreement. I also referred her to my attorney hoping he can find her a good consumer protection attorney.

After complaining about the experience on Google reviews I received a response to contact the Sales Manager Mike **. I relayed the message to my cousin. You had the privilege of talking to Eli ** who was rude demanding that she return the car or re-sign a new purchase agreement. Personally this whole thing sounds shady to me. How do you mess up your own purchase agreement when spending half a day with the buyers only to let them take the car home and call two days later demanding more money for their own failure of properly reviewing their own agreement.

I'm not sure what will happen or if this will be resolved at the dealer. I just want people to be aware of this dealer in Northeast Ohio and the tactics being used. Maybe a word of advice to the dealer if they ever read this negative experiences. Get around much quicker and to the owner hire customer centric Sales Managers who are willing to own their mistakes and meet the customer half way instead of losing a customer for life and for the brand cause we definitely do not feel the love.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Charlie ** was referred to me, because my brother and all his family by all their cars from Milea Dealership on East Tremont Ave, Bx, NY. Charlie was helpful as I turned my old Forester in, for an excellent trade in value - while they had a new one ready for me, with exceptional new safety features, and everything I needed in a car. Thank you for excellent professional timely service!! Everything was perfect and I am grateful for such an A+ experience with everyone I encountered, who could not have been more helpful!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I purchased my 2008 Subaru Legacy in 2016 and absolutely love the car. I have never had a better car but when the airbag recall took effect that's when I found out the recall on the dashboard for melting and causing the reaction of not being able to see when the sun was shining on it. So when I called to get the dash done under the warranty they would not honor it. I just recommend when you do buy a Subaru make sure to actively check for recalls because on the airbag recall I have received over 100 notices but none for the dash. Thanks.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I bought Outback 2017 in Sept 2017. 3 mos later GPS froze then hatch flew open while I was parking & my dog jumped out. Dealer said electronics needed reprogramming & done. A year later, GPS froze again, hatch slightly jammed on rubber mat, hatch stuck closed. AAA to the rescue, dealer said needed reprogramming & done. New battery. 4 mos later, I used radio while car stopped for 10 min, drained battery, needed AAA again to jump. Told I was using too many electronic features like the radio! Now 3/2019, GPS froze, hatch stuck shut, AAA jumped. Dealer said rubber mat jammed - NOT, it was 1 mm over the space, I am careful, but yes dog jumps in & out. Told interior light of hatch was on because it jammed & drained battery overnight.

Extremely unreliable and unsafe in my opinion. Have spent hundreds of dollars in time, Ubers, taxis not to mention lost doctors appointments etc. Internet has websites of hundreds of Subaru owners with identical problems with 2016 - 2018 Subaru outbacks and foresters. Complaints of similar parasitic battery drainage for numerous reasons. They need to redesign the electronics, especially the malfunctioning sensitive hatchback and interior lights, size of battery and hatch rubber mat. Will it take a class action to get them to do this? For sale: 2017 Outback, 19,000 miles, all the bells and whistles, then some. CHEAP. (getting a Volkswagen).

Original review: March 26, 2019

My 2014 Subaru Forester was amazing when I first purchased it in Nov of 2013. I loved it. That loved was short lived. This vehicle burns SOOO MUCH oil. It's not even funny. I complained every time I took it to the dealership and they just said it was normal and to keep watching it. I recently went into the dealership and found out that back in 2015 Subaru issued an extended warranty for the oil consumption issue, however, I was WAY over the mileage. Why did no one mention this to me??? Why did I get no communication through the mail???

I emailed the corporate customer service area and they wanted to argue with me over this, saying they had sent communication and they would not honor the warranty since I was over the mileage. The ONLY assistance they wanted to provide was $500 off a new purchased or leased vehicle. Ummm, excuse me but I don't have a car payment and no way in heck I'm going to get one because of another Subaru. So, instead I'm spending $6,000 to get the engine rebuilt and never purchasing another Subaru. Reading all these reviews just confirms that Subaru has AWFUL customer service and they don't care if they lose customers or not. I'm sorry but I'm going to purchase my next vehicle from a car company that cares and works with their customers. Sorry Subaru but you guys suck.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My third Subaru - 2009 Outback > 2013 XV Crosstrek & now 2019 Crosstrek Ltd. Extremely impressed with reliability, dependability, performance and comfort. My only tweak = bring back additional lumbar support for driver and passenger front seat and a more powerful engine.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Positives: Roomy interior. Excellent cargo space. Negatives: Poor fuel mileage. I think company overstated MPG intentionally. Touch screen disappears in direct sunlight. Uses oil badly. Poor radio quality. My first and last Subaru.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I bought a new 2019 Subaru Impreza Sport. In the 5 months of ownership I have had to replace the windshield twice already and now I have to replace it again. Subaru has the worst windshield in cars. Subaru has lost a loyal customer because they cannot install a decent windshield in their cars. I will never buy another Subaru ever. I will buy either Toyota or Honda from now on.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Needed CVT transmission at 125,000 miles - Subaru headquarters offered $1000.00 as loyalty towards the purchase of brand new Subaru! Was quoted $7500.00 at dealership for new CVT transmission on a 5 year old car! Had a used CVT transmission installed and broke down after 2 weeks driving on highway at 65 mph and car bucked and lost speed - very scary but luckily no one was behind me so I could get off the highway. Now at the transmission mechanic getting diagnosed but now I am afraid to drive it due to the sudden loss of power. This is a major safety issue.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Bought the car 1 month ago, already in the shop with check engine and electrical issues. Hope this isn’t a lemon but I bet it is. No better way to spend your Saturday day off than at the service dept in Glendale, CA.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I bought a 2015 Subaru brand new thinking it will last forever. Just told I need a new transmission and it'll cost 7000 dollars. I still owe 10000 on it. What a joke. This car should last 300,000 not 130,000.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Major transmission issues within the first 25000 miles, 2 years. Brought my manual 2017 WRX in due to noise in transmission area. They said some parts need to be replaced (bearing, etc) and they installed plate, cover, spring, fork, bearing, flywheel and the whole thing. Picked it up on Wednesday and on Thursday while driving on the freeway something popped in the transmission area and the car was towed back in the shop (Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City California) in less than 24 hours from the time I had received it. This is absolutely unacceptable. I have been driving transmission manual cars for 30 years and to get this kind of performance at such low miles is scary.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I really believed that Subarus were reliable cars. I still owe $11,000 on my 2013 Legacy that's now worth $5,000 now and my transmission went. Since I have 121,000 miles on it, I'm out of luck. Subaru is aware of issues they have with their CVT transmission and in 2017, extended their warranty to unlimited miles. That extension expired on 7/31/18. Their response is that they can offer me a $500 coupon off of a new car. I completely lost faith in them. I thought that my car would last until 300k miles at least.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Do you want an engine with that car? That is my feeling towards being charged about $1200 to replace my bumper. It was a minor fender-bender and I went to a reputable collision repair shop. The $700 cost they originally estimated seemed reasonable, but when the bumper came in the cost jumped another $463, because it had to be painted!!! Seems like a rip-off to me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have been a loyal Subaru owner. I have owned 4 Subarus. In the last 6 years I have leased 2 outbacks and am planning on leasing my third. I have called and asked for my $500 Loyalty Reward which I used on my 2016 lease. I keep getting the runaround, transferred from one department to another with no results, how much more loyalty is needed! I will continue to try for another week, but I will lease a Toyota and become their loyal customer! Shame on Subaru!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

On my 3rd Subaru lease. I won’t go into details with their previous Mirror Link issues (lots of them). This review is regarding their Starlink Service. Big shout out to Maria at the Danvers location who was awesome while I waited FOR SIX HOURS AT THE DEALER DUE TO SOMEONE’S MISTAKE. We got through that. I’ll spare the details.

Purchased the Starlink Service. Took the time to set it up, registering, etc. Worked fine. Then out of the blue without warning, the services stopped. My car profile was wiped from the MySubaru app as well as the service. Someone made an error and must have confused it with the previous lease. Well after literally about a dozen calls and false promises, no one could figure out how to fix the issue. I called Subaru (not the dealer) and they couldn’t figure it out either. After more escalation, wasted time and apologies that do nothing, a supervisor got my credentials back into the MySubaru app and reinstated the Starlink services. All looked good until I went to start the car remotely, ERROR—you must have a subscription. Yet the app says I have a subscription.

Place another call to Starlink, they have no clue as to what is wrong. Pissed off is an understatement. If you want to deal with people that are clueless, can't figure out issues and make random mistakes, Subaru is your go to. I am literally too busy with a job, business and two little kids to be dealing with foolish errors and incompetent BS.

Also, please don’t leave me a regurgitated message saying you are sorry and to call you. You don’t answer the phone, I already tried that. Fix the issue is all you have to do. My sorry jar is already filled up with apologies that are useless. Lastly, no---you don’t understand. If you did, the issue would have never happened. Should you waste my time to have to go to the dealer—a major inconvenience—I will not sit there for hours while you figure out the issue. My time is extremely valuable and I hate wasting it.

Subaru Company Information