Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.39/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

436 OnStar Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

When I purchased a 2015 GMC Sierra fully loaded, the OnStar app was free, when coming back from a hot vacation to a cold climate, you can remote start no problems, then I purchased a 2018 GMC Sierra Denali fully equipped loaded $80,000.00 then my trial runs out after 3 months, OnStar now wants to charge $9.00 a month to use the app. I think OnStar needs to remote start the whole company & stop ripping people off.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

They are giving me a hard time in cancelling my account and will not remove my credit card from the account. I was told to call back in 24 hours to remove my card. I'm not sure that's even legal so I'm holding for a supervisor...

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

This is the 3rd trip we have been on using OnStar to navigate. We requested directions to our next location and we were taken 2 1/2 hours to the wrong location. After calling them and requesting assistance we were told there is nothing they can do. I trusted them and felt it was a safer alternative to my phone. This also happened when we went to watch our daughter graduated from the Military base, they sent us to the wrong location. There are even times I have requested routes via specific highways and they still get it wrong. In my experience I do not recommend trusting the agents in how to read a map.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I had to end up canceling the OnStar service because I get 10 to 15 calls a day from people trying to sell me stuff. I called them up they said there’s nothing they can do about it but change the number. So I had to end up canceling the service because I’m not going to pay for someone to keep calling me all day long in my car. Kind of ridiculous with the technology we have they can’t figure out the app or some kind of system to block the cold calls on my car!! I had to end up canceling the OnStar service because I get 10 to 15 calls a day from people trying to sell me stuff. I called them up they said there’s nothing they can do about it but change the number. So I had to end up canceling the service because I’m not going to pay for someone to keep calling me all day long in my car. Kind of ridiculous with the technology we have they can’t figure out an app or some kind of system to block the cold calls on my car!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Got a three-month "free" subscription with purchase of my Chevy Colorado. Tried using navigation service - my GPS and app on my phone worked much better and easier. Service reps hard to contact - sat on hold for 10 to 15 minutes. Used OnStar button to call make sure the service was cancelled at the end of my trial. OnStar rep told me I needed to keep OnStar in order to continue to use my key fob to lock and unlock doors, and to keep hands-free phone service. So I subscribed to lowest level of service. Called car dealer to confirm. Was told that the statement by OnStar rep was incorrect. Used OnStar button to call to cancel service. Still waiting on my refund. I'm VERY leery about having OnStar equipment in my vehicle. Twice I was in friend's vehicle when radio cut out and sounds of a service center came on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: July 30, 2019

Several months after canceling my protection plan for the fee basic, I started to get audio announcements that "this vehicle is connected by OnStar to limited services". According to the owner's manual, this could happen every 60 days or so; but my cars does this every single time I start it up. I've made a dozen or more calls to their tech group, sitting in the car while they try to send a command to stop the announcement without success. By level 3 tech support, I finally got an e-mail suggesting I could contact sales to upgrade to a paid plan that should stop the announcement.

While the individual Reps are very nice, I think this is totally unacceptable. I plan to contact my dealership salesman to complain. I am worn out dealing with OnStar directly and have pulled the fuse on the OnStar feature to kill the announcement; but this also kills the hands-free speaker so then Bluetooth becomes unusable.This is annoying and I will not be replacing this leased car with another GM product. If it can be turned off with a subscription, they should be able to solve this another way.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I had low tire pressure in my back right tire so I called OnStar and they said that Roadside assistance was provided on my vehicle. The representative told me to pull off the highway to a safe location so they could get someone out to assist me. After about 15 minutes someone pulled up beside my car and got out, mind you I was in a rough part of town, so I’m not expecting someone in a regular car. This person walked up to my car with a lug wrench and a jack looking into my window. I didn’t let it down at first until the OnStar person called me back and said that was the person to fix my tire.

Oh my God!! I didn’t know if he was there to rob me or what. I wasn’t expecting someone in dirty clothes and unshaven. I told him I didn’t need him to change my tire I just needed some air. He had the nerve to say I coulda did that myself. I was in shock for the simple fact that this was the person that supposed to represent GMC. It was horrible and if that’s the type of unprofessional service that I will receive for the time I’m in my Buick, I will most definitely cancel my subscription.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I call OnStar about 12 a.m. because my car stopped on the side of the turnpike. They sent a text message stating someone will be there by 1 then they send another one stating someone will be there by 2:02 a.m. I called because I never received an update. No one ever showed up. They tell me, "Oh they will be in at 3:11." 311 has come and gone. I called them back. They tell me, "Oh you're in a restricted area so we're not going to be able to pick your car up. You need to contact the highway patrol." What kind of bullcrap is that's why they didn't tell somebody that's in the beginning. This company is a bunch of crap. This company is not even worthy of a one-star. They need a 0 star.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Bought a new Chevy Silverado. With the vehicle came a free trial period. When the trial period ended I called to cancel. Didn't happen. Called again, they couldn't find account active so they said it had to be cancelled. Then 10 months later they are still billing me from an account I barely use. I just caught the, charge. They are only giving me 3 months credit. What a rip-off. If you cancel make sure you get a date, name, and confirmation number. Or best yet write a letter and certify mail it to cancel service. Because they are going to continue to bill you. What a rip off. Shady.

Original review: June 25, 2019

We have an unauthorized charge on our credit card from OnStar. Called 4 times. Three callers denied they can see the charge. Then two days later we received 2 letters (same letters) in the mail stating OnStar has updated our credit card and is now using the card for OnStar services we requested. Except we haven't requested the services.

OnStar expert review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Best for: OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information