Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.31/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

OnStar Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Activated for a long road trip to the desert. Not only does this service have trouble connecting the advisors don't even take the time to give you proper directions. Tried getting directions to Petrified National Forest and the advisor put us on hold for over 5 minutes and then proceeded to give us directions to our home address over a thousand miles away. We also asked for directions to a specific address which I was very clear on and the advisor sent us to an intersection off the expressway on the other side of town. We ended up getting lost for over half an hour trying to figure out where he sent us. The advisors don't speak clearly, listen or even give you the chance to answer. Google Maps and Waze are better and free! I was certainly glad we didn't rely on them for emergency services as I don't think they would have been reliable.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

COSTLY! Poor “Hot Spot” Service. Can not stop vehicle tracking or push button contact even when service is cancelled. GM dealer says the Onstar module can not be disconnected without detrimental effects.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I have been a fan of OnStar in the past so when purchasing a new vehicle a few months ago, I decided to stick with GM solely for Onstar but have been nothing but disappointed. On my first road trip there were MANY dead zones in which I was unable to connect with Onstar or get any help with Navigation. Thank Goodness that I did not need emergency services! The reps that I get connected to sounded like they hate their job and it gets worse each time I connect. Then to top of the horrible service, I called to get my paid subscription going since my trial ran out and it costs way more than I was paying in my old vehicle 3 months ago. I had emergency service as well as could use the app for 14.99, now they want to charge me 34.99.

If the service was reliable, I may be able to justify paying that but since they have failed me continually the last few months, why would I pay more?? When prices go up, quality should too, but this is far from the case with Onstar. Before posting this I decided to call them and see if I could speak to anyone about the issues. I explained why I was calling to the rep and all he said was "ok, so how would you like to proceed with your Onstar service?" So I asked to speak to a supervisor and was transferred to the technical department instead. I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor and after being put on hold for several minutes, I was told that there are no supervisors available. I'm highly disappointed and RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS SERVICE AS IT WILL FAIL YOU WHEN YOU NEED IT MOST.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My car was stolen at 1:00am on the 3rd of this month. I called the police and they took the report and pretty much just told me all they can do is report it stolen along with the contents inside the car which at the time was my everyday used items, such as purse, phone, medications, my child's carseat, etc., and they could keep an eye out for sitting of my car. At the time I wasn't even remembering I had active OnStar! It wasn't until several hours later that I remembered and then called OnStar from a family member's phone. Within 30 minutes OnStar located my car and had the police in route to the destination where they recovered my car unharmed! Without OnStar I probably would not have gotten my car back at all, let alone still in one piece! I can't say thank you enough considering my car is still under payments and I've only have had it for 7 months!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My new Cadillac failed to start and when I called Onstar I received a recorded message informing me they were busy and experiencing a high call volume. Finally called road service on my phone and had a tow truck there in five minutes. My second experience found me stranded and unable to get any response from OnStar at all. Yesterday I was rear ended and OnStar crash response did not activate. I did push the OnStar button and an OnStar operator answered but the person was speaking in garbled English and very hard to understand but they indicated that they had my location and the police would be there soon. The police were driving by looking for us on the road but we were just off the road in the parking lot and kept passing us by even though we hollered and waved our arms they never found us.

Again I used my cell phone and got immediate response. OnStar gave the police the location of the intersection and was unable to identify our exact location which was about fifty feet off the road in a parking lot. If a vehicle crashed and ends up in a ditch or hidden by weeds ten feet off the pavement I doubt if they could direct emergency services to any location other than a roadway. So far I have found OnStar to be worthless, totally undependable and utterly disappointing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

DO NOT give them your credit card number when you buy a new vehicle. They made us give them our credit card number for the "free" month of service, then we could cancel it "any time". We've tried cancelling it MULTIPLE TIMES. They will NOT stop charging us. This is $35 per month and that was eight months ago. We're up to $280 that we SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD TO PAY. We do not use OnStar service. We hardly use that vehicle and do not need it and have NEVER needed it. They won't stop charging our credit card!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I wanted to take advantage of the 15.00 data plan which I am already paying 20.00 a month for. Upon my initial phone call I was told that my account was not under my name which it could not be possible (or can it). Some strange reason my mother in law is now the account holder which none of my cars are under her name. Come to light that back in august I had purchase a car for here and the dealership must had set her up with the account.

OK now the real issue for some strange reason the customer service agent could not place me back on to my account. Even knowing that everything is in my name for almost four years. I was unable to correct this matter with this customer service agent. No supervisor was called after asking for one. She wanted me to call my mother in law to gain access to my account. Wow. Finally ended that call.

Now I had to call from my car with the OnStar service button. Explain yet again my situation. But this time the customer service agent finally heard my issue and she not only explained everything to me but retrieved a supervisor for a authorization to make the changes. She understand the unreasonable action that was placed on my account and corrected it. She made the corrections and set everything up for the data plan and placed me back to control to my account.

I wish this was the end of it but because I had one car that was not activated on to the On-star account. I had to call once again from that vehicle. I called from that car using the onstar button when yet again I explained my situation and I had given all my information to the customer service agent. She placed me on hold. Mind you I just only needed to activate my car onto onstar for this car only. I get transferred to another agent doesn't know why I was transferred to him, wanted all my information again. At this point this was my 4th attempted to finally close this matter and I knew this agent knew nothing about situation and was not helpful at all. Avoid onstar like a bad driver. Please. The three star rating is because agent #2 was helpful from point of contact to the end of my conversation. The other agents get zero and minus zero.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Don't be fooled. Even if you call and cancel before your time is up they keep on charging. They got me for almost a year on something I cancelled and they're not wanting to give me my money back so now I guess I'm going to have to press charges.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have had my Chevy Equinox for 4 weeks and have unsuccessfully been able to join OnStar with the My Chevy app. I have called 5 times and every time the reps repeat the same script with the same unsuccessful connection. Four times they have told me a supervisor would be in contact with me within 3 days and all four times no contact. My last call to OnStar the rep assured me he could fix the problem and after 40 minutes his response was nothing he could do. I will be cancelling this outfit long before my free trial is up. The staff are friendly but are incompetent to fix a minor clutch. What a waste of my time dealing with OnStar. I was able to search and find directions on Google map in under five seconds while the rep spend several minutes and could not find the same destination.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

When you purchase a new GMC an "Onstar" subscription comes with it...free for anywhere from 1 to 3 months. On July 11/19 after my subscription had expired I continued with Onstar at their lowest rate $15.75 per month for my Cadillac. In August 2019 while travelling I added our GMC Denali at $15.75 then increasing it to $36.74 to get sufficient data. WELL! BIG MISTAKE! All of a sudden my credit card showed 8 charges for two vehicles in 2.5 months!

Calling Onstar was interesting. You are passed from person to person...in my case 4 people. They all try to convince you of a whole different set of facts. All of a sudden my Cadillac was $36.74 per month (then why did they also charge $15.75 two days afterwards). Their accounting is abysmal and their explanations absurd. The solution? I cancelled all vehicles with them. I will add data to my cellphone before I will request any service from this company. I do NOT recommend Onstar.

OnStar expert review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Best for: OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information