2.9/5 (1162 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I pushed the OnStar button when my ex husband found me in a parking lot and blocked me in. Apparently they had given him a 'courtesy' trial and he was able to obtain my location. After being told I wasn't the 'primary' account holder, there was nothing they could do. I was terrorized for 2 hours by my ex as he could open the locks from the application and get in. I called the next day and someone else helped me set up a completely new account after telling them my situation (the most dangerous time for a woman is when they leave their abuser). I showed possession of the vehicle by pushing the Onstar button inside to verify. They told me that they made 'notes' in the account so he could not gain control.

When I went to the courthouse to file a restraining order, I received a message from him that he could see I was at the courthouse. What Onstar didn't notify me of was that he got the account switched back to his name. When I went to my lawyers' office a few days later, he took the vehicle and left me stranded a half hour from home. When I called Onstar to obtain the location of the vehicle, they told me I did not have any account on file. Bottom line - this service does more harm than good. If you're trying to leave an abusive situation, they will take the abusers' side and leave you with nothing and unable to help.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

My vehicle was removed from service because the model year is not compatible with 5G network. The OnStar guardian app forced recommended under the guise it provides the same services; turn by turn, theft, etc. This is a lie. The app is not WiFi accessible to do anything other than be linked to you as your vehicle to continue billing you at half price. This app is useless as it is not linked to your vehicle to ping location. Suppose your car is subjected to theft. The app will not ping it. Suppose you need directions on your commute. The app does not provide it. The agent will suggest you download Google maps for example and go from there. I'm here to say the suggestion actually doesn't work if the satellite is unstable. Suppose you are rendered immobile due to sickness or vehicle accident. Are you really able to get your phone and look up the app to get help?

OnStar really didn't think this guardian app through at all. Needless mention, the headache this useless app is to those who have vehicles they deem unworthy of full coverage service despite how immaculate the vehicle for the most current models. It would have served well if they would have just kept the 4G network in addition to the praised 5G. It's not like they don't have the money as much as the charge for service. The OnStar guardian app is a failure at best.

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

Sincerely, I really wish my car didnt have this service. It is the most wasteful product of them all. To have an emergency button and to not have it activate when we get into an accident is very stressful. You manually have to push the button. Which is very inconsiderate if in the instance we were actually harmed. I hate that the service doesn't do anything helpful. I thought my car had been stolen, and they had no way of tracking my vehicle. It was more anxiety building when I'm paying for reassurance from ONSTAR. Save your money. Cancel OnStar.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2022

Our car got stolen within 4 mins and get this, OnStar is such a horrible system that they deactivated it in seconds. Now question, why would anyone use this if the thieves know everything about it and know how to deactivate it. This OnStar should close down their shop and never be in the market. Thank you for never finding our and and not helping us.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

Chevrolet gives free demo month (like Sirius does) then they try to CON you into buying their plans. Check the reviews. People are telling you not to give these people your credit card number. Onstar lures you in with this free month then cut off the services till you pay up. I have a new (loaded) Tahoe premier (75k) with the HUD, (heads up display) Well, if you don't buy the service part of the display is blank. Yes, they turn it off. One other thing. You can get points for buying your vehicle. Well, good luck trying to redeem them. It's like a Ponzi scheme. All in all, Detroit (GM) is really grubbing for money. "caveat emptor" "buyer beware"...

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

These people do not take no for an answer and once they have your card information they will not stop stealing from you. I never wanted this service but the dealership basically forced me to sign up. Then I try cancelling it and big surprise they are trained to fight you at every turn. They finally agreed to cancel my service and then they just kept taking money. I had to cancel my card to get them to stop charging me for a service I never wanted and never use. AAA is much better in my opinion don't waste your time with these crooks.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

If you have OnStar, and you think you have roadside assistance....you don't. My vehicle broke down in a moving lane of traffic. I called On Star and they said they would send a wrecker. About an hour later I received a text that they were arriving. They never did. I tried to call National Roadside Assistance, the provider, and was put on hold, then transferred to an agent, where I was on hold again, then they said the agent was busy and to leave a message, but when I tried to leave a message, they said the mailbox was full. After almost 2 hours, the wrecker never showed, and the police towed my vehicle because I had been blocking a moving lane of traffic all that time.

I was charged $195 for the tow. It took me 3 phone calls to On Star to even get a response, and all the response was were instructions to contact Allstate.com to file a claim. I did so, and 4 days later I heard nothing until I wrote a rather strong message to find out what was going on. I still have no idea if or how they are going to reimburse me. National Roadside Assistance is inept, and could care less. On Star has no clue what they are doing, or the service that is NOT being provided. I am paying $31 a month for a service that is totally worthless.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I decided to try the OnStar Auto Insurance. The price was reasonable. The first 2 months were great. I called on 11/15/22 to ask if it was possible to change my due date. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the representative telling me I had no policy. I gave her all my information. I told her I was in my account. No name, no address..She couldn't even find my vehicle. My husband and I will be looking for new insurance. Stay away from this company...

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

I recently needed roadside assistance and was only parked one foot off a major highway. When I contacted roadside assistance through OnStar I was told it would be 50 to 90 minutes. After waiting 50 minutes, we decided to call AAA. They said they'd be there in 5 minutes. 2 minutes later roadside assistance calls and tells me it would be a half an hour to 90 minutes. I told him to forget it, we called AAA. AAA was there in less than 5 minutes. I will never deal with roadside assistance through OnStar again. I would give them a zero if I could.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

I had full OnStar services however many didn’t work so I cancelled all but internet. The internet works about 1/2 the time. When you call for help all they want to do is sell you more services that do not work for a high price! They have no interest in helping with the issues I’m having so I will cancel the internet. Horrible service!!

OnStar author review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information