1.10/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

369 OnStar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Think you're covered with OnStar roadside assistance all the time? I just discovered, after a tire blow out, you are out of luck if you need OnStar Roadside Assistance on a turnpike or a toll road. Did they ever tell me that – NO! Not in all the years we have had OnStar. We have the basic OnStar package which include roadside assistance. We had a sudden tire blowout on the Pa. turnpike (476) on 8/11/18 and called OnStar. The OnStar operator, who seemed to have a language and/or hearing problem finally, after repeated tries, got all the info. She promised we would be receiving a text confirming help had been dispatched. After several minutes, no text.

We then called 911 and they said call *11. We did and within minutes All Points Towing showed up and in no time had our spare on (which is stowed under our truck). It took longer to complete the paperwork. We are retired so for us this was a scary situation being on the side of the road with trucks and cars zipping past at 70+ mph only feet away. Cost was $62.40.

On 8-13-18 I called OnStar to complain about this dismal experience. BTW, we never received a text as promised even after 48 hours. After going through three OnStar reps, the final one being a supervisor, she tells me OnStar does NOT provide roadside assistance on restricted roads (i.e. toll roads and turnpikes). I said, "Why weren’t we told that on the initial call and why isn’t that stated clearly in the OnStar literature." Clearly, this reeks of duplicity, false advertising and creating a false sense of security.

She told me if I wanted OnStar to cover a disablement then turnpike road assistance would have to tow us, at our own expense, to an area off the turnpike that was not “restricted”. You got to be kidding! Pay someone out of pocket just to get to an area where OnStar assistance is available. Ridiculous! OnStar won’t even reimburse the $62.40 charge (although I am challenging this).

I wonder what would happen if you had OnStar’s Automatic Crash Response and had an noninjurious accident on a restricted road and OnStar called home automatically. What would be their response? "GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROBLEM!" Clearly, I have come to find out OnStar is a joke. Tip: If you add Towing and Labor Costs to your auto insurance policy they will cover up to a $50 reimbursement for each disablement. Costs a little over a buck a month. I added it today to my Allstate policy.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Do not assume you're safe with ONSTAR. I waited 2.5hr for a tow truck yesterday only to find they sent it to the wrong city. The dispatcher was not listening well and did not obviously take down the right information. Then, they organized another tow truck which didn't arrive until another 2.5hrs later. They continually told me it would be there in 20, or 25min only to extend the arrival time each time I called to check. Their information on file for me was wrong so I had to give them all of the details of my VIN number, name, phone, address, etc. each time I called. The whole ordeal was a study in inefficiency and incompetence. Some dispatchers were very nice. All I can say to them is that I hope they find another more rewarding company to work for. I will be cancelling my membership as soon as I can.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I was charged two $36.00 charges and disputed them and it was removed. I went onto my credit card statement and discovered on June 13, OnStar charged my card $143.26. This is a new credit card. I am having to dispute that as well. I don't know what is going on with them. I do not have an account.

Original review: July 26, 2018

After receiving an offer in the mail to re-up my ONSTAR, which I had never had, I called ONSTAR. I was given an offer, for free, and they added an extra 2 or 3 months (forget which), but I knew it was coming due in August on the 23rd. I called them on July 25th to tell them to cancel the account on August 21, and they said I would have to call back in. I asked them to cancel it today instead. I also had purchased extra minutes, being unsure how much time I might use. I was informed today that those minutes had not been used at all. I requested a refund but was told, "We do not do refunds." WHAT!!??

I see similar complaints, except for false billing after cancellation on this site, so I will be watching my card info closely on August 23-25, and if I get a billing I will call my attorney and see if a class action lawsuit from any interested, might be possible. Their staff member was happy, friendly, and outgoing, in a valley girl kind of manner, BUT was not helpful at all. It is all about their profits and screw the buyer, in a nice manner, if they can. ON-STAR is OFF-BASE, and almost FRAUDULENT in behavior. Their advertising does not meet up with their service and the use of their product. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have a phone that I used in my 2011 Buick Lacrosse and when I traded it in I transferred all my info to my 2015 same kind of car. I have been paying this since 07/31/17 $27.94 per month. I decided not to continue service with them and to cancel. They told me that that was not my phone # that I gave them, duh I called it today and used it, my husband called our son at the lower end of town and talked to him and you tell me that it is not my number. I never could get the idiot to understand.

After talking to the second one he told me I had been hacked and that someone has used my credit card and email to have wireless phone service. Duh. Dude it is me that had this phone number. No one else. Never could get them to understand. My husband could no longer take it because his blood pressure was going up so I told him to forget it, that I would talk to credit card company and cancel it that way. Lord help. Never have had such stupid conversations in my life. Stick a fork in me. I am done. OnStar you are horrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: July 20, 2018

So my dad mentioned that ONSTAR had been overbilling him for a vehicle he no longer owned, he called ONSTAR to make the correction. He advised me to check my billing with ONSTAR and when I did, I found out they were charging me for my navigation and safety features as agreed but on top of that, I was being charged an extra $79.10/month and it started on July 2017 until today July 20, 2018 (my fault for not checking but I only allow 2 companies to have a recurring charge on my VISA, ONSTAR is one of them). On July 29, 2017, I was looking to purchase a block of data that was 10GB or 1 year - but did not realize I started being charged $79.10/month for monthly data until today. I called ONSTAR immediately today and thought this would be just a misunderstanding and was certain they would fix this for a loyal customer (had an ONSTAR account since 2014 after switching to a GMC product).

The first person I talked to didn't seem to understand, so I asked if I could escalate it. A supervisor comes on after a long wait and immediately tells me, it was my fault, I set up the data plan on-line (FTR - I cannot remember for sure but I usually call when setting up something like this) and that there would be no refund except for the current month (a total of $949.20 for service I did not know I had, I asked if there are records of me using it because I never did and was told, techs said it was sporadic, I explained that my Chevy App said I had 0 data available). I tried to make a point that I had purchased a block of 10GB in the past and if he would just look at what I had done in the past, he would see that I was being truthful.

I also told the supervisor - on July 6, 2018, I called ONSTAR to purchase 20GB of data and explained to the ONSTAR agent that I was going into the United States and would like be able to use the Truck Data (the supervisor told me the data wouldn't work in the States, I said well I just got back and the data did work). The part I don't understand is, why wouldn't the agent catch on and maybe ask why I needed an additional 20GB of data on top of the 10GB I never use.

I told the supervisor, I was very upset and that this may cause me to switch out of the GM product altogether, he said nothing, I asked if there could be some type of a compromise, he said 'no'. So then I asked if this is how they think customer service should be and no response.

I said 'we might as well just get off the phone since he cannot seem to offer me anything at all', I even suggested letting me have service for a few months for no additional charge or at least give me some of the refund, he said 'yes we might as well hang up' and then hung up on me. I am at a loss for words. The Supervisor could not give me their name, even though he has access to my VISA card information... I did manage to get a reference number. **GMC - I wonder if this is the type of customer service you would approve of, I still can't believe I was hung up on. Anybody out there have any suggestions on what to do next or is it a write off?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I was happy with OnStar with my old vehicle. When I got in a car crash the OnStar connection was very helpful. l had to buy a new vehicle, Ford Focus 2014 on July 2d. I had OnStar installed by a company, I paid through my car dealership $495 to get it done. I called OnStar for enrollment on the 2nd, on the 6th and on the 9th, they all told me my vehicle was not recognized, it didn't work, I was not eligible... I was mad, got it uninstalled and refunded.

Today 10 days later, they call me to offer me to enroll!!! I am seriously mad this time, it took them almost 3 weeks to let me know and it's too late. I asked them to send me an email with all the reasons in writing why they changed their minds, I spent half an hour on the phone with 3 people that admitted I had been misinformed (Not only me but the shop, the car dealership as well) and I still haven't received their email explaining why all of a sudden it is working. I don't want to pay $500 again with no guarantee it's gonna work, I also want that in this email. We are talking about car safety, this is not professional and we pay $21 a month to get that... I recognize that in my old vehicle it was good so they should be more professional, staff doesn't seem to understand what you say, ask you to repeat etc.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have had the trial of OnStar and the free trial of data. The data plan is a waste. My phone was the only one connected to truck and still wouldn't stay connected nor able to send a photo message. I called OnStar. First time took over three minutes for them to answer. Second time I needed directions to a place I've never been. It sent me to wrong place... very bad part of town. New place for me to drive and put me in an unsafe part of town. Third time I tried OnStar hung up on me prior to anyone answering. I called back and again waited minutes for them to answer so instead used my phone to get directions.

Thought it was safer to use OnStar navigation but not going to wait ten minutes for directions that may or may not be accurate. I tried to chat on the websites about a question for the Wi-Fi but after five minutes plus of waiting for someone to chat with me I had it last straw. After my trial period I won't be paying for the service... none of the plans. Glad there was a trial before I paid a dime.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I found out I had been charged for OnStar after the free trial. They said I needed a credit card and I told them if this is free why do you need my card and they assured me they just need it to keep on file. I told them I am not interested in their product but I will take the free trial service but after that do not charge me. I asked, "Will you send me a letter or email after trial is up?" and they said yes. I was never sent an email or notified. When I called OnStar they told me they sent email but they had my email wrong. Supervisor was very rude. I had been charged for about 8 months. The supervisor hung up on me as I asked if he could refund my money. Now I am out almost $400 and I’m a single mother.

They don’t care and they are very rude. I will never recommend OnStar to my family and friends and will let a family who does have the service know what has happened to me as they took my money and will urge them to cancel service right away. Now I am out of money and was treated horribly by supervisor with OnStar.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased a new GMC Acadia in June of 2018 and the OnStar Services haven't worked since the day I bought it. This company is rude and completely out of touch with the consumer. I have never been treated so badly by a company in all of my life. I have spoken to at least ten different customer service representatives and none of them were able to help me, do not use this company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

After receiving an email from OnStar/AT&T that my card on file needed to be updated and they were also discontinuing my service until I updated my info I called OnStar. The call really didn't help because they said they didn't see it and to call back tomorrow. I then decided to call my bank and I was told I had 4 $20 pending charges from OnStar all made in the same hour. (I received the email the same hour the charges were made.) I called OnStar today and they say there is nothing indicating the charges, I also mentioned the email I got and he acted like I made it up. I demanded a case # and got one. So I have to send by fax the charges on my bank statement and the email. I called my bank and they are going to handle it which means I also had to cancel my debit card.

Original review: May 12, 2018

When we bought our Chevrolet Cruze at the Young Automotive dealership in Layton Utah they had us set up an account with OnStar as part of a free trial. Shame on me for providing my credit card information. I was promised it would not be charged and that I could cancel my account. I cancelled my account over the phone 2 months ago. I noticed that last month my credit card was charged. I made sure to keep better track of my cancellation number this time. Hopefully I do not have any continued issues. They have poor customer service and I would recommend not using their services.

Original review: May 10, 2018

We leased a vehicle through GM in October 2017. When I signed up with OnStar I recall them telling me that it comes with a trial period and they would notify me when my trial period was over and that I would be able to renew it at that time if I wanted to. I never received a clear notification and found out today that it was renewed without my knowledge. I noticed a deduction from my bank account.

I called them to ask about the charge and the customer service rep (Leah) that I spoke to was incredibly rude to me and insisted that when I started the lease I asked for them to automatically renew OnStar when my trial period expired. I did not ask for that. We have leased several vehicles and have not done that with any of them as we have never utilized OnStar after the trial period. I asked if my charge could be reversed. I was put on a very long hold, she came back and said they would mail me a check as a one time courtesy and that I should never expect another refund in the future and that it was my fault for giving them a credit card number when I bought the vehicle. Based on other complaints I have seen it looks like they scam a lot of people like this.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My use of "scam" to describe OnStar's business practices was carefully considered and reinforced by the reviews of others here who have had similar experiences. Specifically, when the OnStar trial period ended on our 2017 Buick LaCrosse, we contacted OnStar to terminate their service for which we little use. End of the story...or so we thought.

However, a few weeks ago we discovered we had been billed every month since July 2017 - almost 9. Although we closely check our credit card statements, we didn't catch these billings because OnStar was somehow billing our Kroger credit card. We never use this card or give out its number for anything other than Kroger purchases. The fact OnStar got access to this credit card is highly suspicious. Moreover, during this 9-month period there was no service to our LaCrosse, clearly indicating OnStar wasn't operative. When we contacted OnStar about this sham tactic and requested a full refund of the $270 for the 9 months we shouldn't have paid, they only offered to refund their charges for 3 months. From what I've read OnStar is struggling to stay viable. But this bogus strategy shouldn't be part of their way forward business model.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Just opened my bank account today to find that I had two charges from OnStar that I never agreed to. I call them and they said they were experiencing technical problems and double billed many customers. They also told me that I was sent multiple emails to cancel my OnStar guidance system that I’ve never used. When I told them the only notices I got were for my vehicle maintenance and if I didn’t want it just don’t respond. They said that the OnStar notices were in those emails with the maintenance extension. So I fell misinformed and taken by there sneaky practices. So they used my automatic withdrawals for my in car WiFi and started billing me for the guidance system.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have been using and paying for OnStar for 7 years. I have never needed it but when I did, with my purse and keys locked in my SUV, in the middle of nowhere, the app on my phone didn't work and how many people carry a card in their pocket with OnStar info. The diagnostic report always tells me my tires are low which they are not. I had many issues last year with my vehicle. OnStar should have picked up and didn't. Just not happy, canceling.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I hate ONSTAR. I want to totally disconnect my 2017 Colorado ZR2 from OnStar, it's not possible on this model. Pull the fuse and you lose HVAC. Unplug OnStar cable and you have no radio illumination. Does anyone have another idea?

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have had OnStar full service and have had a phone service because I'm in the country and the cell reception is hit and miss. I just purchased 2 new vehicles and renewed OnStar on both. Well after trying to store phone numbers on the OnStar phone with no luck I'm told it was dropped when they took on a new carrier. Well I guess I need a Rolodex to look up the numbers. Looks like I'll be canceling all my service when my free stuff is done. Between my insurance company offering me CAA and Google maps and cell phone I don't see much need to stay with this service. Thanks OnStar for the savings.

Original review: March 20, 2018

We have had OnStar service for at least 9 years this time. What "they" count on, is everyone getting too busy & not having the time to either be bothered by their incompetent personnel, well personally I believe they are competent, at deceiving by transferring & delaying, & you know, the same tactics they all do. They want you to just forget it, because hey, for most it's not a large monthly charge. But think, they have millions of customers they do the exact same lack of services for & they're collecting a minimum of what $20 per vehicle per month? For us, they provide nothing & we've been paying almost $27 a month, & I need to go back & check statements to see when they went up again, when should I have caught it? How far back it does go is really going to piss me off, but more at myself for doing exactly what they count on, putting it off.

Not wanting to be bothered by these idiots. Time they know is worth a lot to those of us who don't like spending it on the phone or online trying to navigate, good one, through all their intentional roadblocks. That's a lot of money they are collecting for nothing. Wow, what a deal! This is how they can afford to lose a few... unhappy customers. It's how Spectrum, & T/W, B/house, many security co's, & many other "Services" we pay for & receive absolutely nothing for the monthly fees, that are also automatically renewed for their convenience, not ours & it pays again, them not us. The automatic renew policy is another sham. People take for granted these co's are safe, reliable & you know, honest & trustworthy.

Well please, do not fall for this company or any others that automatically renew! Again, they count on that, they purposefully count on most customers being too busy with every day life & with everything else most people have going on. They count on people forgetting or putting it off until next month, & there goes another charge, an automatic renewal & yes, another higher monthly charge. Amazing how many reviews I read where all of this is true & in common, repetitive. Then I think back regarding other "Services" like this one, & they are all the same. They are also paying out of country personnel for the most part, & that's another reason we never get the services we used to, nor do we get offered refunds or even a reduction for the monthly charges that they've automatically increased, repeatedly, every single year for over 9 years.

Few years ago when I'd catch them by viewing our c/c statement, they'd say "Well ok, we'll take care of that for you". No more. You get transferred to one in Asia, then one in India. I did however get one in country when I'd told them we receive absolutely nothing for the almost $27 a month on a vehicle that is an 07! I told them, at least we used to get a diagnostics & an email once a month. Haven't received any of those in last 3 years, & truly, it's our fault for not taking care of this ourselves before now. But as I read all the reviews from so many other people with the same issues, I am going to cancel.

They've ripped us off long enough. We're fortunate this vehicle barely gets out of the garage, we keep it for convenience, & because it's such a low mileage vehicle & a very large SUV & we have cell phones so we do not need the lousy do nothing service they do not provide. Sad to see, one iconic US name brand after another, be taken over by some "People" who continually outsource their business, & therefore leave the US customers literally out in the cold or the heat. We were & have been paying for nothing, now that's a deal!

But for OnStar not for us. Cancelling after 9 year run. Never will have their do nothing service again. Btw, many security firms/co's & others use the exact same tactics, a way around that is to buy your own systems, & cameras, & maybe have to pay for a limited monitoring. Truly now with ring & a few others, especially years ago when we purchased all of our own equipment, you do save a lot of money. Start going over your statements & see how much money, we are allowing these co's rip us off for... Monthly! For zero services. I've managed to "Find" $60 a month, more we can donate!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Thought I was buying a car with navigation BUT it was OnStar only. Then I realize that there is no map involved - it's turn-by-turn: voice and arrows - after you wait for the operator. I could use my iPhone for maps and the thought of connecting my phone every time I enter the car for maps was not pleasant. Plus I have an iPhone but no data so that will not work. So today, my Equinox is having surgery to remove OnStar with a navigation system. Hurrah.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have been incredibly disappointed in service received from OnStar. I was thrilled to have an OnStar ready vehicle and decided to take advantage of the unlimited data provided through AT&T. Unfortunately, it stopped working around the beginning of January. I called OnStar and have now been jerked around for the better part of two months. I have been refused a refund because there is usage shown on my data account (I couldn't even stream a song or send text messages, so whatever "usage" was there is beyond me) and have been hung up on, lied to directly, and have gotten to the point where I gave up on the process to have my problem fixed because I was tired of paying for a completely broken service only to be told I was apparently using it (because I seem to have nothing better to do than call OnStar about my car's WiFi?).

I am fully aware this is the very definition of a "first-world problem." In-vehicle WiFi isn't make or break in any sense of the term, and this was simply a luxury I was excited about in my new car. And I rarely comment or review businesses after a bad experience. However, this has been the height of poor customer service standards and internal operations. The advisors I've spoken with have been marginally nice, but it's clear the business practices are created without the customer in mind. At this point, I am asking for nothing. I'm out $40 and it truly isn't a large amount of money. I'd LOVE for the WiFi in my car to be fixed, but I don't think it's worth it at this point. What I AM asking is that this company re-think some of the completely absurd standards of practice they are using, and revise their focus to the customer, not only the bottom line. [Also, I'd like to know if there's a way to rip out the OnStar button from my car.]

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Got run around trying to get OEM remote start app to work on my vehicle (my Cadillac App). They make you believe they are working on it but guess what... they are not. Probably spent 4 hours in total on the phone talking with customer service and technical department. Explaining myself every time. They told me to contact a Certified Cadillac Service Center which I did and the service center stated that they could not do anything. I went through dis-associating the vehicle, un-installing the app and re-installing and "wa-la"... NOTHING!!!! NO HELP AND NO RESOLUTION. WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY = ONSTAR. Even canceling my trial.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Subscription was cancelled back in 2011 & come to find out they've been deducting a monthly fee out of my account that I used for emergencies all of these years. At first it shows $30 then it doubles in July 2017. I contacted OnStar & they informed me that a subscription for a Colorado was added. We informed them that the truck belonged to my son & not my husband so it shouldn't be on his account that should've been inactive in the first place. They insisted that it was added by the dealership. I told them that was ** & better get credited. After several transfers & numerous explanations I was offered a three month credit. Now I received a letter from them that they will not issue any credit. So I cancelled the service on my son's Colorado & would like to sue them for fraud. Fraud.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So, I open the mailbox and find a notice that someone with a different first name, with my last name has an account that is linked to my address. I support at **, and to my surprise the office of executive relations denied my call! I spoke to two different reps who could not get to the bottom of this issue. How do dealers not verify the address of a person. There is no one who has ever lived at this address with the name on this notice. Now I believe someone has purchased a car, and OnStar support with my information.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I cancelled my subscription with OnStar in August of 2015 and was given a 10-digit confirmation number for that cancellation. Recently, I noticed that I had been charged every month for the monthly subscription on my credit card since November of 2015. I know, I should have noticed but I didn't. Anyway, I called Onstar today (1/6/2018) to inquire about the charges on my credit card.

The agent first said that they have no record of my cancellation so I gave her the 10 digit cancellation confirmation number that they had provided to me back in August of 2015 and the agent said that this number isn't valid because all of their cancellation confirmation numbers are 8 digits long, not 10 digits long. She also said that I re-subscribed two months later. (Wait a minute, how could I re-subscribe if I supposedly never canceled?) I told her that I want to cancel this subscription (again) so she passed me to another department to do that.

So, I told the new agent that I want to cancel the subscription so she did that. Once I hung up I realized that this moron didn't give me a cancellation confirmation number so I called Onstar back and asked for my cancellation confirmation number so a different agent gave it to me and guess what; the number was 10 digits long, not 8! I told the agent the entire story about my cancellation, re-subscribing and old (but wrong) confirmation number and she said she couldn't help me. I asked her to look up the transaction when I canceled and when I supposedly re-subscribed and she said she couldn't look back in her records that far back; imagine that.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have a 2015 Impala Limited, my battery needed charging so I "pressed the blue button." Of course I had to wait for the next available agent about 15 minutes with that dumb music, when someone finally answered I told them the problem had to wait again. Finally I got a text saying someone was on the way. Waited another 45 minutes. Still no one came. Called back and they had no record of my first call. Had to wait again, finally someone came out! The reason I even bought this car was because of OnStar. But if this is the service I get I might as well cancel the subscription.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have had the vehicle for six months. I have been trying to cancel the OnStar service all that time. The website NEVER EVER works, and the wait time on the phone is hours. Forget EVER being able to stop them from debiting your account unless you close your bank account. Push the OnStar button in the car? NOTHING HAPPENS. I am paying month after month for a service THAT DOES NOT WORK, that I DON'T NEED, and that it is IMPOSSIBLE to cancel. I guess I need to find an attorney and sue these people.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Although I love OnStar services and have been a subscriber for several years, it is insulting to be charged an extra $100 to renew because I wish to pay by check rather than provide a credit card. If I provide a credit card, they automatically charge it upon renewal without my prior authorization, which is not acceptable to me. I don't think this policy is ethical or reasonable. I am not happy at having to choose between allowing unauthorized renewal payments or being punished with an exorbitant renewal rate if I want to pay in full by check each year.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

While returning home from Tennessee yesterday we came upon a semi-trailer rig engulfed in flames south of Erwin, TN, on Highway 26. I immediately hit the Emergency button on our OnStar, but they never answered. The incident was reported thru a 911 call, but not Onstar. Today, I called Onstars Sales to let them know I was totally dissatisfied with their Emergency Onstar Service. I connected with a live advisor in approx. 20 seconds. Onstar, I think your priorities are on Sales, not Emergencies. Their Care Department Supervisor today, extended my Onstar Contract 3 months. It's highly unlikely I will renew their service. Onstar, get your act together, place more advisors in the Emergency Department and less in Sales. A life may depend on it!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

What an absolutely horrible false sense of security OnStar provides. I thought my 40,000 dollar truck was safe. I thought if someone took it, OnStar would find it. I couldn't have been more wrong. My truck was stolen 7 days ago at 1 am. At 7:30 am I awoke for work and it was gone. I called OnStar and simply got nothing. After three days they called to tell me they could not locate it. They said, "It appears it was tampered with".

I had always knowing that it could be disabled, obviously as with anything it can be removed but I would have never thought you could simply google "disable OnStar" and find out that it only takes 3 minutes to simply unplug it. I'm also ashamed that my insurance assisted this false sense of security by offering me a discount for having the OnStar tracking. I almost never leave one star reviews, I almost never leave negative reviews without saying something positive but in this case I simply cannot say anything positive. I can't wait for OnStar to tap into me driving when I get my new truck. I'll be sure to rip that rep a new one. OnStar makes me sick to my stomach.

OnStar expert review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Best for: OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information

1995
400 Renaissance Center
Detroit
MI
www.onstar.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business