1.19/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 16, 2018

356 OnStar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 16, 2018

My use of "scam" to describe OnStar's business practices was carefully considered and reinforced by the reviews of others here who have had similar experiences. Specifically, when the OnStar trial period ended on our 2017 Buick LaCrosse, we contacted OnStar to terminate their service for which we little use. End of the story...or so we thought.

However, a few weeks ago we discovered we had been billed every month since July 2017 - almost 9. Although we closely check our credit card statements, we didn't catch these billings because OnStar was somehow billing our Kroger credit card. We never use this card or give out its number for anything other than Kroger purchases. The fact OnStar got access to this credit card is highly suspicious. Moreover, during this 9-month period there was no service to our LaCrosse, clearly indicating OnStar wasn't operative. When we contacted OnStar about this sham tactic and requested a full refund of the $270 for the 9 months we shouldn't have paid, they only offered to refund their charges for 3 months. From what I've read OnStar is struggling to stay viable. But this bogus strategy shouldn't be part of their way forward business model.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Just opened my bank account today to find that I had two charges from OnStar that I never agreed to. I call them and they said they were experiencing technical problems and double billed many customers. They also told me that I was sent multiple emails to cancel my OnStar guidance system that I’ve never used. When I told them the only notices I got were for my vehicle maintenance and if I didn’t want it just don’t respond. They said that the OnStar notices were in those emails with the maintenance extension. So I fell misinformed and taken by there sneaky practices. So they used my automatic withdrawals for my in car WiFi and started billing me for the guidance system.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 5, 2018

I have been using and paying for OnStar for 7 years. I have never needed it but when I did, with my purse and keys locked in my SUV, in the middle of nowhere, the app on my phone didn't work and how many people carry a card in their pocket with OnStar info. The diagnostic report always tells me my tires are low which they are not. I had many issues last year with my vehicle. OnStar should have picked up and didn't. Just not happy, canceling.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I hate ONSTAR. I want to totally disconnect my 2017 Colorado ZR2 from OnStar, it's not possible on this model. Pull the fuse and you lose HVAC. Unplug OnStar cable and you have no radio illumination. Does anyone have another idea?

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have had OnStar full service and have had a phone service because I'm in the country and the cell reception is hit and miss. I just purchased 2 new vehicles and renewed OnStar on both. Well after trying to store phone numbers on the OnStar phone with no luck I'm told it was dropped when they took on a new carrier. Well I guess I need a Rolodex to look up the numbers. Looks like I'll be canceling all my service when my free stuff is done. Between my insurance company offering me CAA and Google maps and cell phone I don't see much need to stay with this service. Thanks OnStar for the savings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: March 20, 2018

We have had OnStar service for at least 9 years this time. What "they" count on, is everyone getting too busy & not having the time to either be bothered by their incompetent personnel, well personally I believe they are competent, at deceiving by transferring & delaying, & you know, the same tactics they all do. They want you to just forget it, because hey, for most it's not a large monthly charge. But think, they have millions of customers they do the exact same lack of services for & they're collecting a minimum of what $20 per vehicle per month? For us, they provide nothing & we've been paying almost $27 a month, & I need to go back & check statements to see when they went up again, when should I have caught it? How far back it does go is really going to piss me off, but more at myself for doing exactly what they count on, putting it off.

Not wanting to be bothered by these idiots. Time they know is worth a lot to those of us who don't like spending it on the phone or online trying to navigate, good one, through all their intentional roadblocks. That's a lot of money they are collecting for nothing. Wow, what a deal! This is how they can afford to lose a few... unhappy customers. It's how Spectrum, & T/W, B/house, many security co's, & many other "Services" we pay for & receive absolutely nothing for the monthly fees, that are also automatically renewed for their convenience, not ours & it pays again, them not us. The automatic renew policy is another sham. People take for granted these co's are safe, reliable & you know, honest & trustworthy.

Well please, do not fall for this company or any others that automatically renew! Again, they count on that, they purposefully count on most customers being too busy with every day life & with everything else most people have going on. They count on people forgetting or putting it off until next month, & there goes another charge, an automatic renewal & yes, another higher monthly charge. Amazing how many reviews I read where all of this is true & in common, repetitive. Then I think back regarding other "Services" like this one, & they are all the same. They are also paying out of country personnel for the most part, & that's another reason we never get the services we used to, nor do we get offered refunds or even a reduction for the monthly charges that they've automatically increased, repeatedly, every single year for over 9 years.

Few years ago when I'd catch them by viewing our c/c statement, they'd say "Well ok, we'll take care of that for you". No more. You get transferred to one in Asia, then one in India. I did however get one in country when I'd told them we receive absolutely nothing for the almost $27 a month on a vehicle that is an 07! I told them, at least we used to get a diagnostics & an email once a month. Haven't received any of those in last 3 years, & truly, it's our fault for not taking care of this ourselves before now. But as I read all the reviews from so many other people with the same issues, I am going to cancel.

They've ripped us off long enough. We're fortunate this vehicle barely gets out of the garage, we keep it for convenience, & because it's such a low mileage vehicle & a very large SUV & we have cell phones so we do not need the lousy do nothing service they do not provide. Sad to see, one iconic US name brand after another, be taken over by some "People" who continually outsource their business, & therefore leave the US customers literally out in the cold or the heat. We were & have been paying for nothing, now that's a deal!

But for OnStar not for us. Cancelling after 9 year run. Never will have their do nothing service again. Btw, many security firms/co's & others use the exact same tactics, a way around that is to buy your own systems, & cameras, & maybe have to pay for a limited monitoring. Truly now with ring & a few others, especially years ago when we purchased all of our own equipment, you do save a lot of money. Start going over your statements & see how much money, we are allowing these co's rip us off for... Monthly! For zero services. I've managed to "Find" $60 a month, more we can donate!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Thought I was buying a car with navigation BUT it was OnStar only. Then I realize that there is no map involved - it's turn-by-turn: voice and arrows - after you wait for the operator. I could use my iPhone for maps and the thought of connecting my phone every time I enter the car for maps was not pleasant. Plus I have an iPhone but no data so that will not work. So today, my Equinox is having surgery to remove OnStar with a navigation system. Hurrah.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have been incredibly disappointed in service received from OnStar. I was thrilled to have an OnStar ready vehicle and decided to take advantage of the unlimited data provided through AT&T. Unfortunately, it stopped working around the beginning of January. I called OnStar and have now been jerked around for the better part of two months. I have been refused a refund because there is usage shown on my data account (I couldn't even stream a song or send text messages, so whatever "usage" was there is beyond me) and have been hung up on, lied to directly, and have gotten to the point where I gave up on the process to have my problem fixed because I was tired of paying for a completely broken service only to be told I was apparently using it (because I seem to have nothing better to do than call OnStar about my car's WiFi?).

I am fully aware this is the very definition of a "first-world problem." In-vehicle WiFi isn't make or break in any sense of the term, and this was simply a luxury I was excited about in my new car. And I rarely comment or review businesses after a bad experience. However, this has been the height of poor customer service standards and internal operations. The advisors I've spoken with have been marginally nice, but it's clear the business practices are created without the customer in mind. At this point, I am asking for nothing. I'm out $40 and it truly isn't a large amount of money. I'd LOVE for the WiFi in my car to be fixed, but I don't think it's worth it at this point. What I AM asking is that this company re-think some of the completely absurd standards of practice they are using, and revise their focus to the customer, not only the bottom line. [Also, I'd like to know if there's a way to rip out the OnStar button from my car.]

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Got run around trying to get OEM remote start app to work on my vehicle (my Cadillac App). They make you believe they are working on it but guess what... they are not. Probably spent 4 hours in total on the phone talking with customer service and technical department. Explaining myself every time. They told me to contact a Certified Cadillac Service Center which I did and the service center stated that they could not do anything. I went through dis-associating the vehicle, un-installing the app and re-installing and "wa-la"... NOTHING!!!! NO HELP AND NO RESOLUTION. WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY = ONSTAR. Even canceling my trial.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Subscription was cancelled back in 2011 & come to find out they've been deducting a monthly fee out of my account that I used for emergencies all of these years. At first it shows $30 then it doubles in July 2017. I contacted OnStar & they informed me that a subscription for a Colorado was added. We informed them that the truck belonged to my son & not my husband so it shouldn't be on his account that should've been inactive in the first place. They insisted that it was added by the dealership. I told them that was ** & better get credited. After several transfers & numerous explanations I was offered a three month credit. Now I received a letter from them that they will not issue any credit. So I cancelled the service on my son's Colorado & would like to sue them for fraud. Fraud.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So, I open the mailbox and find a notice that someone with a different first name, with my last name has an account that is linked to my address. I support at **, and to my surprise the office of executive relations denied my call! I spoke to two different reps who could not get to the bottom of this issue. How do dealers not verify the address of a person. There is no one who has ever lived at this address with the name on this notice. Now I believe someone has purchased a car, and OnStar support with my information.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I cancelled my subscription with OnStar in August of 2015 and was given a 10-digit confirmation number for that cancellation. Recently, I noticed that I had been charged every month for the monthly subscription on my credit card since November of 2015. I know, I should have noticed but I didn't. Anyway, I called Onstar today (1/6/2018) to inquire about the charges on my credit card.

The agent first said that they have no record of my cancellation so I gave her the 10 digit cancellation confirmation number that they had provided to me back in August of 2015 and the agent said that this number isn't valid because all of their cancellation confirmation numbers are 8 digits long, not 10 digits long. She also said that I re-subscribed two months later. (Wait a minute, how could I re-subscribe if I supposedly never canceled?) I told her that I want to cancel this subscription (again) so she passed me to another department to do that.

So, I told the new agent that I want to cancel the subscription so she did that. Once I hung up I realized that this moron didn't give me a cancellation confirmation number so I called Onstar back and asked for my cancellation confirmation number so a different agent gave it to me and guess what; the number was 10 digits long, not 8! I told the agent the entire story about my cancellation, re-subscribing and old (but wrong) confirmation number and she said she couldn't help me. I asked her to look up the transaction when I canceled and when I supposedly re-subscribed and she said she couldn't look back in her records that far back; imagine that.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have a 2015 Impala Limited, my battery needed charging so I "pressed the blue button." Of course I had to wait for the next available agent about 15 minutes with that dumb music, when someone finally answered I told them the problem had to wait again. Finally I got a text saying someone was on the way. Waited another 45 minutes. Still no one came. Called back and they had no record of my first call. Had to wait again, finally someone came out! The reason I even bought this car was because of OnStar. But if this is the service I get I might as well cancel the subscription.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have had the vehicle for six months. I have been trying to cancel the OnStar service all that time. The website NEVER EVER works, and the wait time on the phone is hours. Forget EVER being able to stop them from debiting your account unless you close your bank account. Push the OnStar button in the car? NOTHING HAPPENS. I am paying month after month for a service THAT DOES NOT WORK, that I DON'T NEED, and that it is IMPOSSIBLE to cancel. I guess I need to find an attorney and sue these people.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Although I love OnStar services and have been a subscriber for several years, it is insulting to be charged an extra $100 to renew because I wish to pay by check rather than provide a credit card. If I provide a credit card, they automatically charge it upon renewal without my prior authorization, which is not acceptable to me. I don't think this policy is ethical or reasonable. I am not happy at having to choose between allowing unauthorized renewal payments or being punished with an exorbitant renewal rate if I want to pay in full by check each year.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

While returning home from Tennessee yesterday we came upon a semi-trailer rig engulfed in flames south of Erwin, TN, on Highway 26. I immediately hit the Emergency button on our OnStar, but they never answered. The incident was reported thru a 911 call, but not Onstar. Today, I called Onstars Sales to let them know I was totally dissatisfied with their Emergency Onstar Service. I connected with a live advisor in approx. 20 seconds. Onstar, I think your priorities are on Sales, not Emergencies. Their Care Department Supervisor today, extended my Onstar Contract 3 months. It's highly unlikely I will renew their service. Onstar, get your act together, place more advisors in the Emergency Department and less in Sales. A life may depend on it!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

What an absolutely horrible false sense of security OnStar provides. I thought my 40,000 dollar truck was safe. I thought if someone took it, OnStar would find it. I couldn't have been more wrong. My truck was stolen 7 days ago at 1 am. At 7:30 am I awoke for work and it was gone. I called OnStar and simply got nothing. After three days they called to tell me they could not locate it. They said, "It appears it was tampered with".

I had always knowing that it could be disabled, obviously as with anything it can be removed but I would have never thought you could simply google "disable OnStar" and find out that it only takes 3 minutes to simply unplug it. I'm also ashamed that my insurance assisted this false sense of security by offering me a discount for having the OnStar tracking. I almost never leave one star reviews, I almost never leave negative reviews without saying something positive but in this case I simply cannot say anything positive. I can't wait for OnStar to tap into me driving when I get my new truck. I'll be sure to rip that rep a new one. OnStar makes me sick to my stomach.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

So I got a new car with 3 GIG FREE WIFI. They get me to sign up for unlimited when free is done. But 2 weeks in get a bill for $20 for unlimited wifi call and they say error, cancel bill, but it cancels my WIFI after 2 30 min calls on phone with Onstar getting transferred around to people who have no idea what they are doing. Say internal technical support must put it back but they cannot figure how. Told times a supervisor will call back. Not no calls back. Now I call back and they say 3-5 business days. Ready to return car and tell GM FORGET I AM GOING BACK TO BMW and MERCEDES CARS.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I live just south east of Atlanta in one of the hardest hit counties in Ga. from Tropical Storm Irma. My power had been out for hours and the cell tower for my network was down. The only resource I had to reach out for assistance during this pounding storm was OnStar. When the very pleasant rep answered, he immediately changed my state of mind from almost panic, to peace. I needed to contact a few people which included my cell provider. He researched, found and connected me the correct contact number and stayed with me until I reached a live rep. While talking with the cell rep., my call disconnected. When I called OnStar back, the new rep. just picked up where the prior one had left off. In no time, I was reconnected with my cell provider rep and my issues were soon resolved. I can't say enough about the excellent customer service I received during such a crucial time! Thanks OnStar!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Between OnStar and or ATT it is a large chore getting online. Not sure what is what but they cannot achieve this because of a errs. So no WIFI and no answer. Much easier to go buy a Verizon jetpack. Or a Ford Pickup.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

After paying for OnStar protection for over ten years my Car broke down on the side of a country road. Ninety degree day. I'm a little unsettled. It just died. I had no electrical so no OnStar push button on the rear view mirror and I think for a few minutes. I am lock in the car. Windows up and getting very Hot. I use my cell phone to call Onstar. I have a card I carry in my wallet with my member number and car phone number. I know my name and home address and phone number but this isn't enough for the guy who answers the phone. He wants my vin #. Well I think I am locked in the car and need him to let me out. I can not see the vin#.

Finally I realize I can push the button (duh!). Wow. Now I am out of the car so I tell him now I need a tow. He transfers me to a girl who has more questions. What address am I near? Well I am on a road right at an intersection. I can give that information but there are no homes or businesses around so this is the best I can do. It takes her forever to get a GPS on me. We have been on the phone 30 minutes by now. She puts me on hold and when she finally comes back says it will be 50-70 minutes for a tow truck! Really?? Never heard from tow truck.

My friend came, jumped my car and ran up the battery. I drove the 2 miles to the repair garage and called it a day. I figure I have spent over $2,000.00 on Onstar protection and this is what I get? I have emailed the company. No response. I told the person who called to check on me several hours after this happen and she said she would file a report. It has been 20 days since the breakdown and I have not heard anything from Onstar.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I purchased a 2017 GMC Denali 3500 HD from the dealer brand new, only 1.5 month prior to this incident. My son and I went to the matinee movie at AMC Camp Creek, we had only been inside theatre 50 mins before returning to vehicle to find it had been vandalized. I reached out to OnStar and got several different excuses. Unbeknownst to the Onstar Rep, I had the full Onstar service she said I was not in the security plan in the package I had chosen, then another person told me I didn't have an emergency contact number, that was a lie because your brand has been calling and emailing me, and the third rep said we contacted you at 1305hrs, that was a lie also.

Folks please stop paying into this scam we call security is false, and you lose much more than what you are paying for. They offered me 3 months free service, but please explain to me why would I still be interested in your service when you didn't perform up to expectations in the first place? To the the current date after several calls no one has called to discuss nor make an offer about my loss of property due to them not notifying for immediate response to theft/vandalism. ONSTAR IS NO GOOD!!!

Original review: July 13, 2017

Bought new GMC last summer. After free subscription I called and cancelled but they not only kept charging but denied they were charging. After 5 phone calls each time they told me they will check it out and call me. They never did plus said there was no record of me calling. Finally my CC company is blocking them. My advice is to stay away from OnStar.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I have been with OnStar since 2000. The problems have been minor up to now. I have 5 cars under subscription. I recently purchased a new Cadillac. GM offers a 6-month service contract free. Talking to my good friends at OnStar, they got my vin # mixed up with a GMC Terrain vin #. They told me I could have the transmitter replaced in the Cadillac & then they can accept me as a customer. Mind you they say there is nothing wrong with my OnStar transmitter. I will be leaving OnStar as soon as I have used up the minutes left on my other cars!!!

Original review: April 8, 2017

I have an OnStar equipped car, however I have never subscribed to OnStar. Suddenly, after almost 2 years of never using, contacting or having any association with OnStar, they started coming on while I was driving. Every time I put the car into drive and park, OnStar would connect and ask me if I wanted to activate my account. One time I honked the horn and got connected to an associate. I could not disconnect the calls myself and when it connected to my car, it shut off the clock, radio and heat.

Now, I live in upstate New York, so the last time this happened, I was driving my son to Boy Scouts and it was 30 degrees outside. I put the car in drive and it asked me to activate my account. Sometimes I could say no, answer a couple other questions and it would disconnect, other times, it connected me to an associate. This time, I got an associate. I asked her to disconnect and hang up. She started in about deactivating my account! I said I have no account, you don't even know who I am, just hang up!! I refused to give my name. She would not disconnect.

I told her she needed to disconnect, OnStar has shut off my heat and it is 30 degrees and she still wouldn't. She did nothing I asked her, which was only to hang up and was on the whole time until I got to Boy Scouts, about 10 minutes. I was beyond mad. After about 5 minutes of no help from her, I couldn't even understand her anymore!! Once where I was going, I told her I am at my destination and am going inside and that she better disconnect and not drain my battery. Since then, less than 24 hours from now, I have not heard from them.

I drive my kids around and they had to listen to that, and my oldest just got his license and wants to drive constantly, and I had to instruct him on how to respond to OnStar so he could drive. I found it very distracting while driving and very upsetting. I will never have OnStar now. I will do everything I can to not even buy an OnStar equipped car ever again. They have access to YOUR car whenever they want even when you don't have them. A horrible company. Horrible customer service.

Original review: April 1, 2017

Purchased new 2016 Suburban in Albany, NY late May, 2016. OnStar free for 9 months. First 3 months, free wifi (3Gigs). I agree to purchase 1Gig extra for $15 per month. No one ever pointed out to me that every time I got in the truck my smartphone was "using" data. My wifi would last very limited amounts of time without me or family even using it. Finally, I get billed the monthly $15 fee on 3/30/17. The same day at 4:39pm I get a text alert: I have exceeded over 80% data usage. I never used the phone in the truck that day. I called OnStar. They gave me the runaround. Technical people gave me different answers on questions I asked regarding data used, etc.

Finally spoke to Supervisor (John in Canada), who gave me even more different answers to same questions. Asked for my money to be refunded. Refused with no explanation. "We won't refund for used data." I explained I never 'used' the data... my phone ate the data without me ever touching my phone. Didn't want to hear that no one ever explained to me how it worked. Different note: January 2017, February 2017, March 2017... I was charged $39.84 per month for OnStar service. I never agreed to this. They tell me it automatically bills on monthly cycle once free period ends. No warning, no prior notice, they just start billing. Never again OnStar.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I just bought a new 2017 truck with OnStar. Truck came with it. I didn't order it. Had to pay $175. Truck cost $42,650. The "basic plan" is for "5 years plus 3 month service with automatic crash response, navigation & more. Includes 4G LTE WI-FI(R) Hotspot w/ limited data trial & more (subject to terms see onstar.com)". Well, I bought it December 5th and within a month and a half, start getting online requests for money to keep the service. Unsolicited "Spam" in other words. I never gave OnStar any address, much less my email. I responded with: "This is why I loathe giving out my email address to anyone. You want to communicate with me? Do it by US Mail." Sure enough, I got within days a packet FedEx-ed to me. In it, all it basically said was: "To renew, you must go online".

Uh-oh! That's when I did some research and found this ConsumerAffairs site. I read about onstar ripping people off using their credit card information. So, I wrote them online and asked: "I need to renew my subscription. Do you need my credit card number or do you already have it?" Someone responded with something like: "I can't answer that question. You must go to the billing site." Man, they sure want my money! I responded with only: "I'll make a note of it." I know one thing, I ain't "re-upping" my onstar! I just hope they don't lock me in my vehicle when they find out!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Involved in a car accident. Used my OnStar. Asked operator to call police and ambulance. Had an injured passenger and my truck was filling up with smoke. OnStar refused to call for help until I answered a series of about 25 questions. Told OnStar several times I needed an ambulance and truck was filling with smoke but each time they refused to call for help until I answered questions. I tried to disconnect the line so I could call for help myself but OnStar refused to clear the line. This went on for 17 min. OnStar put both my injured passenger and myself in great danger. I will be calling an attorney.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

On 8/19/15 I purchased my vehicle from a local Chevy dealer in GA and set up OnStar and paid a monthly fee of $20.00-$25.00 per month for Stolen Vehicle Assistance to alert you when your vehicle is being tampered with and if stolen OnStar can find the location and remotely turn the vehicle off among other things. On December 5, 2016 I had my 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD stolen from a parking lot in East Point, GA. I contacted OnStar at 3:09pm to report my vehicle stolen and while on the phone with OnStar, 911 was dispatched to the location of the parking lot and the phone disconnected, I called OnStar again at 3:19pm.

Shortly after completing the incident report with the East Point Police Department, I contacted OnStar at 3:33pm to get the location of the vehicle and to use the security service feature that is paid monthly which at that time OnStar informed me that the vehicle location was not available and would contact me once a location is found. I went in to the building to see if I could retrieve camera footage of my truck being stolen from the parking lot which showed that the theft occurred at 2:00pm that day. After reviewing video footage I contacted OnStar again at 4:29pm to get a status update of the vehicle and was again told that the vehicle location was not available and contacted OnStar several more times that day to follow up on the location.

On Thursday, December 8th I submitted an e-mail correspondence to OnStar regarding the security features outlined in our plan and no communication was returned with the dissatisfaction of the service provided. On Friday, December 9th I, again, contacted OnStar by e-mail and received a response “We will contact you shortly”. On Saturday, December 10th I sent a Facebook message requesting answers to my complaints and once again, no communication was provided. On Sunday, December 11th I received a response from OnStar at 11:13am stating,

“Thank you for taking the time to e-mail OnStar regarding information on your stolen 2015 Chevrolet Silverado. I understand how important it is for you to know why a signal was not sent to you when your vehicle was stolen. I have added your email to the case that was opened for this issue on December 7, 2016. For immediate assistance, please contact our Technical Team, Monday to Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. EST, Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST, by pressing the OnStar button or by calling the phone number below. Refer to your case #**. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply to this message, call us at 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or press your blue OnStar button. Marsha, OnStar Information Specialist.”

Again on Sunday, December 11th at 2:26pm, I received another response from OnStar responding to my Facebook message stating "Thank you, Ashley. I see that you currently have the Basic Plan until 8-18-2020. This is our free service that includes limited access through the mobile app, but does not include certain features such as Stolen Vehicle Assistance. I understand the inconvenience of this situation, but we recommend continuing to work with the police on a resolution. If you have any additional questions on your current plan, please don't hesitate to let us know. Corey, OnStar Customer Care."

"My account shows we in fact did have stolen vehicle assistance - check your records. I can send you all my paperwork I printed off the other day that in fact shows WE do have this feature- Ashley." "My sincerest apologies, Ashley. Our records indicate that the Security Plan was canceled in August, but I do see that a new plan started that same month. In order to better assist you, I am going to forward your information to our Specialty Team. Please expect a call from them in the coming days after they have a chance to review your account. If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let me know. Corey, OnStar Customer Care"

Through Facebook social media posting of the video we actually recovered our own vehicle on Sunday, December 11, 2016 with people reporting sighting of the truck. We were very surprised it wasn't at a chop shop and assumed we were never going to see it again, however, received a call from an anonymous person that seen the Facebook post that went viral and my husband went to the location of the truck to confirm it was in fact his. Once he confirmed it he contacted the local authorities which did nothing and found out you can't actually arrest someone unless they are physically driving it even though the truck was actually sitting in someone's driveway. The police said without hesitation "Take it home", and left leaving my husband by himself, sitting in front of the thief home for 45 minutes waiting for someone to come help him drive the other vehicle to our home.

Once he got the truck home he thoroughly inspected it, and since this was a custom truck that has a custom paint job you can't just repair it at your local paint shop. Unfortunately without it voiding the warranties on the truck we had to take it to the original GM authorized dealer that made the upgrades which is located in South Carolina which is 5 hours away from our house. We of course have auto insurance, however, our auto policy does not cover stolen personal property that was in the truck, only covers up to 30 days of rental coverage with a $20.00 a day cap. We had a claims adjuster that came out and only provided us with a small amount of money to have the truck fixed as they don't recognize any custom upgrades on the vehicle and is not included even though we purchased this truck brand new from GM. The upgrades were completed by a GM authorized dealer.

On Monday, December 12th we received a phone call from Carrie in the corporate office claiming that a theft notification was sent on Monday, December 12th at 3:30 which was immediately disputed as there was no notification sent in an email advising of a theft notification. She requested we make sure our email was correct which it was and stated she does not know why and offered 8 months free service and we declined, and she immediately offered 12 months free service which again we declined. On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 a letter was mailed and emailed regarding this matter to the corporate office and no response was communicated back and mailed a final letter of demand on December 23, 2016.

I finally heard from a corporate representative Christine on Monday, January 2nd and informed me that our complaint is now in the right hands and would have the matter resolved. Through several email conversations she requested that they have a 3rd Party Investigate this matter and would be able to go out to review the vehicle for damages.

At this point no repair work has been completed on the truck 1 month after being recovered, and today, January 13, 2017 I receive a phone call from Christine stating with a now 4th excuse "Yes, OnStar failed to activate your Vehicle Theft Protection which resulted in the truck being stolen." She goes on to state that the 3rd party investigator they hired to review the claim showed it to be in our favor. Offered to pay an equivalent to 2 truck payments in good faith. I of course disagreed as we have lost a substantial amount of money from this to include 2 vehicle payments, rental vehicle coverage, difference in insurance not paying for damages, personal property loss, OnStar payments, loss of wages and travel totaling upwards $13,000.00 and potentially additional costs we may incur.

In conclusion the only way to resolve this is to file a lawsuit, but my dilemma is we live in Atlanta, GA and GM OnStar is based in Detroit, MI and the amount I am seeking is well beyond the small claim limits of Michigan which is $5000 and therefore have to physically resolve the matter in Michigan and I just can’t seem to find an attorney, and I certainly can’t meet with one as it too far and simply exhausting which I am sure OnStar was banking on that.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

Bought the wife 2016 Trax and we received 3 months free Onstar. It was so useless we didn't even use it at all for 2 months. I told the wife, "well it's free so let's use it and see what it's all about." Except for the remote start and lock feature on the app for your phone, totally a waste of money and time. The navigation is terrible, much better on your phone and when I called Onstar to see what was offered I got a woman with a lot of attitude when I mentioned I thought we were getting Onstar for 5 years for free.

I had misread that we get a revised version of Onstar which turned out to be only the functions that would have remotely interested me like the remote start/lock previously mentioned. Regardless, when I stated "I thought I read that we get Onstar for free for 5 years?" I got laughed at then a stereotypical ** woman response back at me saying and I quote, "You think we are gonna give you free accident reporting and navigation for 5 years? I don't think so!"

I simply replied, "I do not need either of those anyway so it's all good." So to recap, I have no idea how there still is an Onstar or any need for it with today's technology or why Chevrolet hasn't updated the service to keep it more relevant and price effective. Maybe if you're an older person who has no knowledge of everyday smart phone apps and so on, but for the majority of people it's a non-starter.

OnStar expert review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Best for: OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information