Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.11/5

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

410 OnStar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

My car is locked with the keys inside...which is not supposed to be possible... But it happened. So I called OnStar because their big selling point is they can electronically unlock. Guess what? THEIR NUMBER IS NO LONGER IN SERVICE. IN OTHER WORDS I CANNOT CONTACT THEM AT ALL. Well they don't say that when they sell it to you. I sure as heck hope Triple A can get in. I would have a second set of keys but they cost $400 bucks. I hate electronic schemes and this is looking like a sucker punch I bought when I got my new car. I love my new Sonic. But this OnStar service is at present a load of cr...p!

Original review: March 17, 2019

Since late fall of 2018 I have been experiencing a complete interruption of my OnStar app (now my Chevrolet app). Error 216. Long story short green light means module is fine. I have installed my app in multiple devices. I have taken it to the dealership as per OnStar's request...it's been there a month. Somehow a Chevy Spark has been added to my account which I have never owned. They say they will call back which I have to call them except the one time the advanced technology team called me and said for me to reinstall my app!!! Are you kidding me?! I am really getting sick of this crap. I am an OnStar subscription holder that paid a year in advance!!! I bought this car brand new and never had a problem till the app change. I am pretty sure it's a problem with my account but no one can figure it out.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 16, 2019

One time was in Canada. Was in a rush, and asked advisor for directions to a theater in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada. Gave them the name of the Point of Interest as well as the address. They sent me to the town about 10 miles away. Of course not knowing the area I didn't realize it until I got there. Like talking to a dummy, advisor just wasn't getting the problem. You'd think they should be able to locate a point of interest, this being their "bread and butter". Second time in Detroit, in a rush to get somewhere. Kept calling for directions, was unable to get through as apparently the system has problems connecting if you go under a lot of overpasses. After about 6 tries, gave up, found my way myself.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Horrible customer service. I have a new GMC/Chevy terrain for 4 months now and they can’t get it off demo mode. They said give them 3 days, I call on the 4th day they said they have 3 to 5 days. This has been going on since December, I have been a GMC owner for over 25 years. I am ready to trade both of my GMCs in and go with a company that does not lie.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I bought a vehicle with OnStar. I received an email saying it was disabled and to call OnStar if I did not authorize this. I called within 20 minutes and they noted they could not turn it back on without me being in the car. The car was taken by the other party of the relationship. I told them I was the primary and title holder. They told me there was nothing they could do. When asked if I could hop into the parked vehicle next to me and disable their OnStar and take the car with no fear of OnStar location services being restated I was told “that would be on your conscience”.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I signed up for a 3 month free trial for the OnStar services. I called them several weeks before the automatic renewal charge of $34.99. I’m self employed and winter time is our toughest time of year. So they charged me anyways and I was left negative in my account. I call them and told them I called them several weeks ago to cancel and now all of a sudden they have “no record” of me calling! What happens to “this call is monitored for quality assurance”? Now they won’t expedite my funds and I’ll get charged a $32.50 overdraft fee. They left me screwed because now I can’t even go get myself a little bit of groceries to get by till my next job. Thanks OnStar.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was charged after my free trial service even though I did not want the service at that time. So I was charged for services that were not rendered. They offered no comparable compromise regarding refund. I decided to give it a go again, I asked for a decrease in service, the agent did not do so, therefore I was charged full price. When I called and asked for a partial refund they wanted to give me the run around. I did not like this ethic so I cancelled. They would not refund the money, they want to carry out the rest of the month. They are a rip and do not care about the customers, just the money!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The trial period ended up costing me an activation fee and unlimited data plan fees through AT&T (Remind you, still trial period). Called OnStar, two different representative told me that OnStar was NOT going to pay!!! Had called one week earlier and cancelled my trial period so it had nothing to do with an actual contract. I would not have considered a contract as I never use the service in any of my vehicles. Mind you it took them 1 1/2 weeks to get the service working correctly to begin with (they had it confused with my Son's account). Lol. They are a joke.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was conned into signing up for a free "trial" at the time I purchased the vehicle. Six months later, I don't recall the details of that brief phone conversation, but I would never sign up for an automatic renewal unless they promise that I will be notified before they begin charging. I discovered that they had been charging my account $37 a month. I called to cancel and they gave me a hard time, warning me of all the problems that I might have if I would cancel. They finally canceled, but no refund.

So I called back after I successfully got it canceled and demanded that they provide me with a copy of the agreement regarding the trial period and the automatic charge. They said there was no agreement like that, but that I had agreed to it. ?? So I said if there is no agreement, then I want a refund. After checking with the supervisor, she said she could give me a partial refund. I said, "No, since there is no agreements, I want the refund in full, or else provide me with a copy of the agreement." She spoke with her supervisor again, and said she could give me two free months of the service, which I didn't want and don't use. Again, I said no, a refund in full or a copy of the agreement. Again she spoke to the supervisor and this time agreed to give me a refund in full. Don't get angry, don't curse at them. Just politely persist in your demand, they will eventually give in. Bottom line though, this is a shady operation to say the least!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Bought our truck with all the bells and whistles, OnStar, WiFi, navigation system, the works!! We went down to Dallas for a wedding and our truck was stolen. We called the police and have a video recording of the people stealing the car. Everything would have been great if OnStar would have ACTUALLY WORKED!!! They couldn’t locate it. They even sent us an email that the “theft alarm” had been set off and yet they STILL COULDNT LOCATE OUR TRUCK and literally gave up. What a JOKE.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I've paid for OnStar since I purchased my car in 2011. On Dec. 6, 2018, I needed the service for the first and only time. I was involved in an early morning 13-car pileup accident. I pushed the OnStar button. Nothing happened. No response. I pushed the button several times. Nothing happened. After several minutes I received a phone call from OnStar on my cell phone. I knew my car was seriously damaged and I asked the OnStar Advisor about a tow truck. I was advised by OnStar that I needed to wait for the police to complete their assessment of the accident before requesting a tow truck. This call is logged on my cell phone.

After the police arrived and completed their report, I pushed the OnStar button again to request a tow truck. Again, no response. More pushing of the button... I finally called OnStar on my cell phone. While discussing the situation with the OnStar Advisor, tow trucks arranged by the Highway Patrol arrived and those of us engaged in the accident were urged to "clear the highway". This phone call with OnStar is also logged on my cell phone.

I later attempted to get OnStar to cover the cost of towing my car. OnStar refused because I had "never notified OnStar of the accident". The truth is I, repeatedly, pushed the OnStar button to no avail and the phone calls are logged on my cell phone. In summary, in an emergency the button doesn't work and OnStar does not stand behind their service promises. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Had flat tire. Used Blue Button to request help. Told they would arrange to have a service vehicle dispatched. Wait 45 minutes to learn "rescue" vehicle had broken down and they would have to put in a second request. Another wait of 1hr45 minutes and a PopALock vehicle shows up and finally takes care of problem. Question: Why can't GM Road Service can't make sure they contract with crews that will maintain their own vehicles in shape so they don't "break down" on way to help? It's absurd. Over two hours at 8 pm in the middle of Tampa, Florida, not the Everglades. Two hours! Ridiculous. And I'm canceling this joke of a service. ATT and Geico offer much better service for a much lower monthly fee.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I got this as a service with my new truck purchase. I canceled the service due to the cost after paying for a few months. I wrote a letter after a few months of harassing phone calls saying my account was past due. I have a hard copy return letter from OnStar verifying the cancellation. They are now stalking me in my truck! Calling when they know I'm in it and it is really awful, I don't answer. I don't want to crash because I'm arguing with them while I'm driving! They just keep calling me. I feel like this should be illegal. If I could give negative stars I would! Don't activate this service and DON'T give them a credit card #. I don't know how they are still operating, they are the definition of a SHADY BUSINESS!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I was involved in a car accident. I was hit in the back passenger side and rear bumper of my vehicle. My car was totaled - ball airbags deployed. I later reached out to OnStar for a report of exactly when and where my vehicle was hit since my insurance was trying to charge both of us with being at fault of the accident. To my amazement I was sent a report showing the longitude and latitude of where my vehicle was located which I couldn’t bring up in Google and was useless and also a report which had inaccurate information that stated airbags were deployed because of front-end damage. There was absolutely no front end damage to my vehicle.

I sent OnStar pictures of my vehicle and also the collision report which explains in detail the damage of my vehicle and cost of repair for insurance purposes. I was not given any explanation as to why the report was incorrect nor was I able to talk to a competent person that could offer a solution. After many frustrating phone calls and speaking to executive idiots that couldn’t understand what to do I’ve resorted to posing this online so people were aware of what horrible customer service they offer. They’ll take your premium every month & send you inaccurate information but offer absolutely no assistance when you call in for support or assistance with correctly a false report given.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I purchased a new vehicle that came with all the new gadgets (radio, navigation, OnStar, etc). They all had free trial memberships but apparently you have to cancel it or your credit card is charged $40 a month. I hadn’t used the service or noticed the charge on my card. When I called they wouldn’t reverse the charges then when I wanted to cancel they said I couldn’t because it would be a safety issue if I were in an accident. I then told them I will just cancel the paying part of it and since they were so concerned with my safety they could provide the service for free they then canceled it. What a douchey way to make a buck.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

For months I have had the unlimited data plan for which I was paying $20 per month. Every month like clockwork OnStar would bill my VISA credit card. Suddenly, on December 9th I am no longer able to stream music and receive a message that my data plan has expired. I hit the blue OnStar button and the advisor tells me that VISA did not approve the December first payment. Now my credit card was not compromised in any way and I had no difficulty with any other transactions. In fact, I have the VISA with Bank of America who is great about texting me if there are ever any questions about the legitimacy of any charges to my account. The advisor tells me that if I want to sign up for the unlimited data plan again the new cost is $25 per month. I naturally balked at that and the advisor supposedly checked with a supervisor who approved the old $20 fee. As far as I was concerned I was going to tell them to stuff it had they not reinstated my old fee.

To me it appears that this is a ruse to force subscribers into a higher monthly cost. It also gives OnStar the opportunity to give you their sales pitch for a bunch of services we do not need. Justice was served because while I was hearing the sales pitch I drove through an area with bad signal strength and I was disconnected from OnStar. Beware of what appears to be a scam!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Let me start out by saying I have been a GM loyal customer since I was 17. Now I am 64. I have been paying for ONSTAR service faithfully in my GM Vehicles since 2006. But EVERY year they FORCE you to buy more airtime minutes on top of the yearly ONSTAR service charges or you LOSE the minutes you already PAID for! I was up to 600 minutes that I had paid for over the years (and BTW never used). And because I finally stopped being strong armed into buying more minutes they said I was forfeiting the minutes I ALREADY PAID FOR. What kind of contract gives any corporation the right to force you to buy something, then tell you if you don't use it you lose it? I don't understand how a class action suit has not been started yet. GM should be ashamed of itself. I would love to hear if there are any other people who have experienced the same ONSTAR ripoff scam.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

If you live in Delaware and purchase a contract for OnStar beware because they will charge you tax. All the reps we have complained to do not have an answer on how to correct this problem. And, they will not connect you with a manager. We will think twice before we ever sign up for this service again. Poor customer service. Please note, we did try 3 long phone calls to get this issue resolved.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Wasted a lot of money and our time when they charged our card for unapproved charges. They refused to refund it all and sent an email basically say, "Oh well." After several years with OnStar we will be canceling.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have been with OnStar since day one. You have some good days with OnStar Where they can get you to wherever you need to go. You have some days where the employees Seems as though they're too lazy to put the address in. Sometimes they just route you took the streets and you're on your own. Today is Monday November 19th 2018 the week of Thanksgiving. I live in Maryland. I push my OnStar Button. Asking for directions to the Baltimore airport. The OnStar advisor route it me to Virginia. I called In right away once I realize they had routed me the wrong way. Anyone that lives up in Maryland DC or Baltimore knows this traffic can be grueling.

At that point I called in. I told him that I needed help. It was the holiday we were going to see family for Thanksgiving. I was told there was nothing they can do for me. We had to turn around after we had made it all the way to the airport to see if we could get on the plane but as you know there's a window. Now the money that I had spent on a run a car waiting on me in New Orleans I got hit with a fee. With that I lost the tickets that I have pay for the money that I had sent ahead to family to help purchase food. Lost that then had to go try to buy food for me and my family for Thanksgiving.

This is not the 1st time this service has left me high and dry but this will be the last time. As I write this letter what tears in my eyes and disbelief of the customer service that was given to me and my family. The only thing they said to me was that we would have to see what we could do. We need to see all your receipts. I'm thinking I call it in. I asked to go to the airport. You listen to the message but yet you want me to prove to you where I was going as I felt as though they were saying to me, "You're lying."

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I would give no stars at all but not an option. I bought a vehicle in 8-2018 and my remote worked on the app for a month, which was my trial period. Apparently if you purchase a vehicle after May 2018 you will now have to pay a monthly fee to use options every other car manufacturer offers for free. Except GM now. Totally ridiculous!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I called and canceled my OnStar over a month prior to the end of the trial period. They bill me anyway. I call and call (during their stated hours) and get left on endless hold. There's no way to contact them via e-mail. They are trying to rip me off so I am going to go through my credit card company but this is B.S.!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

They left me broken down on one of the state's busiest highways and paid for the towing myself. Scam. I put in for a reimbursement and they told me they wouldn't because it was a toll road. I'm not paying $20 a months for this garbage.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Once they have your credit card good luck trying to cancel this service. OnStar doesn’t offer any valuable service to the average everyday consumer. They can’t get free through their cell phones. Worst case of consumer rip off - if you ask to speak to a manager they hang up on you. I had to have my credit card canceled and reissued to stop them from charging me any more.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I liked having OnStar and have had it for years but now they INSIST they must store your credit card information even when you are renewing for a year. So they refused to renew my subscription. Just because I didn't want them to store my information so it can be stolen. AAA here I come! Not as good but they don't require me to give them all my personal information.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I live in St. Louis but was visiting Hardinsburg KY to see family. At approximately 4:30 pm contacted OnStar for directions to the Kohl’s store in Elizabethtown (about an hour away). I am disabled, already pretty tired from driving in that morning but wanted to have a one on one visit with my 10 year old great niece. It was still daylight when we pulled out but raining. For almost an hour and a half I drive on some of the worst country backroads I have ever seen in pitch black and rain. Finally I’m sitting in the middle of nowhere and OnStar announces “you have arrived at your destination”. I can see fields, 3 dark houses here and there and a tiny church up ahead. I pull into the church parking lot and I admit I was mad and screaming because I am scared to death...low on gas, know I can’t walk far, responsible for a kid and no idea where I am.

So I repeatedly say “where have you sent me. I should be at Kohl’s in Elizabethtown “. They say nothing. Finally I say, “How far to Kohl’s in Elizabethtown?” They say an hour and 7 minutes (further away than I was originally). So now my one hour trip just got 2.5 hours longer and night is closing in and so is our ability to shop, eat, go to a movie...whatever. So I keep saying, “Where did that guy send me”. Now the person is no longer responding and is pretending to have hung up because when I press the OnStar button it reacts like I’m already in an active call so I say “I know you can hear me. If you don’t respond I’m suing OnStar”. Still nothing. So they have abandoned a disabled person with a child in the middle of nowhere a place they sent me and now they just abandon me. Unbelievable!

So I press the button until it disconnects then I press to activate and when I say to the person the last person abandoned us and that we’re in the middle of nowhere and need help she makes a sound indicating that the other rep had complained to others around her and now this second rep is like omg now I’ve got this woman. I told her, “Listen you guys send me over an hour to goodness knows where. I’m disabled, low on gas with a child in my car and I need help getting back to civilization.” At this point it’s clear they are never going to tell me where they sent me so I ask for directions to Kohl’s in Elizabethtown and I provide an address which they repeat back. I cannot safely use my phone as my charger is in the suitcase where I’ll be staying and the battery is low. So they send me directions and I finally after another 28 minutes of driving get on roads that are a little more civilized and I fill up with gas as soon as I can.

They finally get me to Kohl’s but by now it’s 9 pm and we’ve not even had dinner. So we shop and go to dinner and call OnStar to get back to her house. It sends us the name of a road but nothing to indicate right/left or east west north south...so I call OnStar again and ask the lady to at least give me a hint. So a couple minutes later she tells me which way to turn. I told her OnStar was the worst ever. So when I got back to St. Louis I called and spoke to a rep and told her my expectations. That was Sunday today is Tuesday so far not a word. I told her I wasn’t super upset with first guy. He clearly had poor listening skills and lacked common sense because I finally found out he sent us to a Coles Supersave grocery store (which by the way was not on that road either) but hey mistakes happen. But the woman who knew I was lost because of them, knew I was scared, knew I was low on gas at night in the rain and had a kid with me.

I wanted that woman fired after she wrote me a letter of apology. Apparently the OnStar people don’t understand the gravity of what they do that customers put their lives in the hands of OnStar. I have never in my life felt so abandoned or afraid. I will never rely on OnStar again. They have failed at every possible level to provide service, or good customer care. It’s like I told the rep Sunday if what I experienced is typical of the service you provide you need to close the business before you cause a death. If I had known they were this bad and this unreliable I would not have left at night in the rain and I would have had some other means of navigation available. Based on my own experience and reviews I’ve read I hope an attorney contacts me for a class action suit. I don’t care about money but I would like to see them put out of business. They get an F.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

On Oct. 22, 2018, my 2018 Equinox was broken into, and I did not get any notifications. I pushed the blue button after calling the local police to inquire why I did not receive such service as promised. The first representative told me that the notification was enabled and then stated that the system was probably backlogged. He then started made a change to the system because I received an email. I was not satisfied with that response, so I pushed the blue button again and got another representative.

She put me on hold for several minutes and then told me that her supervisor stated that it depends on how the vehicle was broken into before an alert is triggered. I asked if my key fob was not in the vicinity of the car and the door was opened shouldn't the alert happened? Her response was that the vehicle must not have the feature, and transferred me to the dealership where I purchased the car. They failed to alert me, and after some research GM owns Onstar as well as Chevrolet. I am contacting my legal team to find out if I can sue them. After reading all the other complaints I know that I am in for a battle.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

When we bought our 2015 Chevy Tahoe we subscribed to OnStar service thinking it was a good idea, particularly for emergencies. Two years ago, I inadvertently locked my keys in the car and when I called OnStar I provided them the appropriate answers and code word and they unlocked my car and I was able to retrieve my keys. Please note here, AT NO TIME, did they ask if I was the subscriber, but only asked for a description of the vehicle and the code word, and I believe my wife’s cell phone number as she is the main subscriber. Today October 17, 2018, my wife was unable to locate the Tahoe in a multilevel public garage. Her cell phone was inoperable, however, she was able to ask a complete stranger if she could borrow his phone whereupon she called me and advised me of her situation.

I called OnStar and asked if there was something they could do to help my wife locate the Tahoe. I was told they could actually sound the alarm where the lights will flash and the horn would sound for approximately 15 minutes. Again, I provided them with the code word, a description of the Tahoe, as well as the telephone number of the main subscriber, my wife. Unable to locate the Tahoe, my wife again found another complete stranger and using their phone, called me to advise she could not find the Tahoe.

I told her I would again call OnStar and have them activate the alarm as they did the last time. This time however I spoke to a rather smug young lady who, despite my telling her I had no way to contact my wife and was unable to locate the Tahoe, thereby placing her in a rather unsafe position. And this rather and incompassionate and insensitive person refused to turn on the vehicles alarm because I was not the main subscriber, even though it was previously done approximately 20 minutes earlier.

Since she was thick-headed, I asked to speak with a supervisor, who in turn, was no better than the smug lady I had just spoken to. When I explained to this so-called supervisor that my wife was in a public garage, all alone with no cell phone, and unable to locate the Tahoe and was now in a very unsafe and vulnerable position, This supervisor coldly informed me that my wife would just have to find a way to call OnStar herself since she was the main subscriber and asked for assistance herself. I asked the supervisor what was my wife supposed to use to call OnStar when she had no cell phone? Her response was just basically she’d have to find another way to contact OnStar.

So despite me having the same last name, knowing the code word, the description of the vehicle, my wife’s cell phone number, this woman did not care enough about my wife’s safety to simply sound an alarm - nothing more, nothing less. As a cop was 34 years experience this was the most asinine response from a company that is supposed to provide security and assistance. They had done it twice earlier, but apparently these two women either do not like men, or just wanted to be hard-nosed and be indifferent about my wife’s safety. As soon as possible, we will no longer be a part of OnStar, and will never recommend them to anyone because of such an inane policy and response when we needed some help.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I called OnStar to see if I could activate my Internet Hotspot in my vehicle after not having it for 6 mos. When I was told yes but that there having technical difficulties and wouldn't have it for 9 days I told them I did not want it. I was told ok, they would not activate it. 8 days later a charge showed up on my credit card for the services I told them not to activate. When I called them they said it wasn't their problem and I would have to call the AT&T billing. I told them I thought they should take care of it since I had told them not to install it. After a few more calls they still did not resolve my issue and now I have to dispute it with my credit card company. I will never try to do business with OnStar again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Terrible customer service and terrible partnership with AT&T. Their “unlimited” data plan IS limited to 22G. At 22 they then slow your service so much, it’s unusable but they still make sure to charge full price! The limit/slow for data was not disclosed. Unlimited means truly not limited. Not limited then cut off. Customer service reads from a script, no floor managers available to speak with and no credits/refunds for the poor service or complete lack of service. Fraud!

OnStar expert review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Best for: OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information