Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: May 22, 2020

OnStar is no different from Sirius XM. We give you free trials but you better not forget to call us!!! I just spent 179.97 from December to May and I have never pushed a button on my mirror. But I didn't call to cancel my FREE service. Nice! Lucky there are no major events going on right now, you know, like a Pandemic. I just need to do a better job at making sure I manage YOUR FREE services. I would say I will do better for you next time, but there will not be one.

Original review: April 27, 2020

OnStar Welcome Call in 2015 was Clear, NO background noise and the Agent was very Courteous and understandable. OnStar Welcome Call in 2020 was A Disaster, Rude Agent, Very Noisy and Signal Broken Up.

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have been a customer with OnStar for several years. I have never had to use them until recently my vehicle was stolen. I immediately contacted the police and OnStar. Onstar is a scam! I called them numerous times, never once could get any answers. After 48 hours my case was terminated, but once again I was never notified. Not only could they not locate my car, Their customer service is pathetic. Onstar is the worse experience when I had faith in their company to provide quality service. I got nothing in return, I just spent a fortune paying monthly notes for NOTHING!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Bought a 2017 GMC Canyon truck. I purchased their data plan for the Truck thru AT&T.. Really never used the service because I was leasing the truck so I was keeping the miles down. Starting in Sept 2019 I decided to start trying to use this feature, thinking I might be able to stop my XM Sirius service that I have. There were days it would work. Other days it would give me a wifi connection. But there was no internet connected, which means my cell phone or apps that require internet do not work. I contacted On-star. They had me try a bunch of stuff. No luck. Moved it up the chain of technical support. Got back to me a few days later that updates were processed. I would try.. Worked for a couple of days then stopped. Did this many times with on-star. Eventually they wanted me to take the truck to dealer. Which I did many times. All the parts were replaced on separate visits. Still does not work. I have canceled the data plan with on-star.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

One of the consistently unethical companies that I have ever dealt with. Continuous billing tricks and unauthorized charges. I just completed my third call to cancel the same account and I have no doubt that I will receive another unauthorized charge on my credit card. This time I time I am filing a complaint.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Don’t give the dealer your credit card information. Insert will bill you 35.99 a month. The dealer will set up the account without your Permission. With some pin number you didn’t choose in with an email address that may or may not be yours. So when you call to cancel it it’s difficult to even get to your account that you didn’t sign up for because none of the information they have was provided by you. They will only refund three months worth of billing. They claim to be reputable but all it is is GM Chevy working with their aunt Star to get as much money out of you as possible. We will no longer be purchasing any Chevy or GM vehicles. I will never recommend them to anybody else.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

OnStar is a very difficult service to cancel, I sold my Chevy 3 weeks ago, called and cancelled the service, they still keep doing nonsensical collection calls, try not to sign up with them without a ironclad already set cancellation date.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Purchased a new 2019 Denali. Came with a month of OnStar for free, then they extended it for 2 months free if I entered my cc information. So I took it. Well today I got an email notification that I had earned "My GMC" points for my onstar purchase. What? The credit card I gave stays locked so no charges can be made to the card, so what have they been doing? Just racking up $40 dollar a month charges, that are being declined due to my locked card. I called and wanted to cancel the service, because I apparently didnt read the fine print. The "Extended free trial" signed me up for autopay.

When I asked why didnt they just cancel the service since it wasnt being paid for I was told it is an "Emergency service". They can't just cancel it for non-payment. That's bolonga. They are a luxury paid service. By their logic they could have allowed services to continued to be billed and declined indefinitely. Then I ask why I havent received one bill in the mail, or notification that payment has been declined, to which they said an "Email was sent once" to notify me that the free trial had ended, which is probably in my junk box from last September.

No other contact was made to inform me I was being charged anything. I tried to get on the onstar account to cancel before calling. Nope, you can sign up online, but you have to call to cancel? Well if that's not ridiculous. So when I called to cancel they refused to cancel until they spoke to my wife. I was on the way home from work. I set up the account in her name for some reason, but used my cc information and email. I got home and they canceled before they spoke to her after I said I wasnt doing business with gmc any longer due to this issue. Literally I was getting out of my service truck and the lady hung up on me. I called back to find she had cancelled. Needless to say, I bet they find the time to send me a bill for 4 months of service they tried to charge me for that I didnt want, but couldnt find the time to send a notification of declined payment. Onstar's business practices are very shady, I do not suggest anyone do business with them at all.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

This is with regards to the issue that I faced today (December 30th 2019) at 4.15AM. I own a 2018 Chevrolet Malibu, with which I was returning back home in the Highway 401. The car lost control due to a slippery track and glided off road and fell into a ditch that was quite steep. It was a highly panicking situation and we immediately sought the help of OnStar for an immediate roadside assistance. We reached out to an associate and the call was transferred to a Chevrolet roadside assistance agent - Chris. Chris, gathered all our information and details of the car too and advised that they will assign a truck to help us take our vehicle back on road. As said, we received all the details of the tow truck company via text message that had a link and the link directed us to a webpage which had an ETA of the truck to our spot.

Post getting all the information from the roadside assistance, I reached out to the tow truck company “Shantz Towing” with the reference number **. To my surprise, when I called the towing company, they said they haven’t received any instructions from the roadside assistance and we weren’t been assigned a tow truck to rescue us. Hence we had to call Onstar again to get the information right urgently, as it was already 40mins past the incident.

While we were seeking urgent assistance to get the car on road, I found ZERO HUMANITY from the staff of Onstar with whom we were connected, where she was talking about purchasing the Onstar roadside assistance and all the more, she also said that I do not have a roadside assistance plan and hence CANNOT HELP US. So, I had to seek for a supervisor’s intervention (Jeff from Onstar) because of this inhuman response and the supervisor was way more irresponsible in placing our call on hold for almost 30mins and I had to cut the call as I didn’t have patience to wait anymore for their courteous response. While all these happened, WE WERE STILL NOT RESCUED FROM THE DITCH OFF ROAD and it was almost 2hours. Then, I had to again cut the call and reconnect to the Onstar team one more time furiously and this time I spoke to another supervisor named Jean, She again transferred the call to the Chevrolet roadside assistance agent - Chris. He then let us know that the towing company was unable to serve us as due to bad weather conditions. My questions here are:

1.If the car did not have a roadside assistance plan, why was that not informed in the very first call?
      2. Assuming that we had roadside assistance covered (Per the 1st call), why was this issue considered to be a petty on and was given least attention?
      3. Upon hearing that the towing company couldn’t serve us, Why did Onstar/Chevrolet roadside assistance failed to inform us the same and made us stand in a bad weather for almost 3 hours???

4. Why did the towing company misguide us saying that they haven’t received any calls from Onstar, while they have already communicated that they wouldn’t be able to serve us?

After all these traumas, I contacted a towing company by 6AM and rescued myself from the ditch. This irresponsible behaviour by both Onstar and Chevrolet roadside assistance has made me lose trust on the company for any issues that I am going to face in the future. I would like immediate attention to this issue and need a revert for my concern. Your urgent attention to this matter is much appreciated!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I went to use my Turn-by-Turn about a week ago and was informed it had been canceled. I did not cancel the service and I paid for a year service that does not expire until June 2020. I purchased a special they had for $10.00 a month for the turn-by-turn. Several days ago I got a letter stating my service had been canceled. I called the number and was told that they no longer have that plan and their system canceled it. The person said she couldn't help me and I would have to call from the vehicle. I went online and checked my account and saw where they canceled it and issued me a credit for the remaining months. No one even told me that and the letter never mentioned it.

I called using the blue OnStar button and was told they could not reinstate it unless I paid a higher rate. The best offer was a special of $14.00 a month. Whoever heard having a plan you paid upfront for canceled prior to the contracted termination date? I told them to forget it! I called back today on my phone and spoke to another person. The best he could do was give me two months free but stated he could not reinstate my old plan to the original contracted termination date. He stated he would get with management and see what plan they could offer. I will be surprised if I hear from them. What a way to do business!

OnStar author review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information