3.3/5 (216 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: May 17, 2022

I had OnStar for several months before canceling. I canceled due to the app never working correctly. When I canceled I was told (have the screen shots) that I would be receiving a refund in 3-5 business days. Fast Forward to several days, at least a week later and I decide to message as I had not yet received my refund. After an hour messaging with two different reps I am finally told an error occurred on their part and I needed to calling billing dept. No one had bothered to correct this or even notify me of the error that occurred on their end. I am guessing in hopes I wouldn't notice and they could just keep my money. Needless to say I am NEVER going to use this service again and I would not recommend to anyone either. Terrible customer service, it's like talking to dumb robots who are reading the non stop same ** apology from a book. I still have to call billing now and do their jobs for them to get the money they owe to me.

Original review: April 27, 2022

When you buy a GM product they tout the GPS in the car for navigation but rarely if ever tell you it doesn't work until you pay Onstar a current sum of $300/yr. If you don't pay Onstar you are stuck with a screen in the middle of your panel that is essentially worthless. NOW after that $300/yr what happens when those GPS maps need updating...Oooops, THAT is not included by Onstar and must be installed by the GM dealer. WHAT A SCAM for perpetual nickel and diming.

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2022

Onstar is a poor value, They raise their monthly costs and not tell you, The My Chevrolet App seldom works, Whatever you do don't give them your CC info. They are very good at charging you for unnecessary services. If you push the blue Onstar button to talk to a representive good luck. They sounds like they are from Bangladesh, I would not recommend subscribing to this overpriced poor service feature, you'll be disappointed

Original review: March 1, 2022

Awful very unsatisfied!! Talk to 5 different people in 5 days. Picked a plan over a week ago and no service. Don’t even bother doing the online support because they can’t help you either. Save your money. OnStar sucks.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

OnStar rep told me that my 4 mo. promo would expire in 4 months since I did not want it. Yet they billed for entire year till picked up while doing 2021 taxes. Not right taking advantage of senior citizen.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I was going to leave my bad experience that I had with OnStar but there are so many with similar experiences, so I think you get the idea that OnStar is nothing but a bad company. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

The trial service came with my new GMC truck. Most of the functions never worked. I.e., I configured them on the app, but when I went back in, it asked me to configure all over again. This happened 3 times. When the trial was ending, I was contacted a dozen times by mail, email and phone, to enroll. I went to the website and it's totally confusing because the plans go by different names & it's not clear which one you're getting now and which services go with plan. They keep calling them by different names, so it's impossible to compare them. So I called them.

I asked how much my existing service would cost, they said $ 59 per month, I said that was way too much. Response; give us your credit card info, we'll give you two free months, THEN we'll talk about cheaper alternatives. I said "let's talk about cheaper alternatives NOW". Phone line went dead. They called back and asked for my credit card info again - you know, "to get started". I said no, I want to know about the cheaper options. Phone went dead again. SO - either they don't want you to know about cheaper options, or they have poor connectivity. Either case is bad news. Aside from that, the "pay me first, then I'll tell you what you're getting" is shady. As I see it, I've survived without it for many years, I can survive without it now.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I bought my GMC truck on Dec. 3, 2022, with one month free trial with premium package. I suppose to have all functions for trial. No functions worked after the first trial was initiated. Called OnStar, one function started working. Called again, hotspot was added, called again another function added, call again until I got most functions working. The functions setup alarm to my contact and safety and security never worked till today with an open case closed without any solution. Now another case opened, not sure if they will close it by themself without doing anything. I bought the truck, entitled to have one month trial, I have spent over 10 times each time over 40 minutes, repeating same story to all the advisors. I am so disappointed, will complain to go AND FIND SOLUTIONS, expecting to get a proper trial.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

My 17-yr old son was in an accident yesterday, he is ok. Rolled our truck in a ditch with water..Airbag curtains deployed..I sold Chevy vehicles including this one and pay for OnStar to be a guardian for my son..Well not only does onstar not work but they lied...They never called my son through the truck, they never notified me through the app, when I check the app it said my truck is good to go, no issues...After I called very angry then I got email 4 mins after that my truck may have issues with the stability or brakes, nothing about airbags..This am after the crash my app only says the issue I have is a low tire....I called and talked to the emergency response and they told me that maybe the radio was damaged or maybe it was because of the kind of crash that they did not do what they said they do, we were trained that during a crash someone will come through the vehicle and talk to you until help arrives. Well nothing like that happened.

He was alone and scared and not once did they ask if he was OK but instead blamed the trainer for misinformed us on how this all works, I will continue to call onstar and complain and demanded my money back because OnStar is a scam. MY ONLY SON WAS left alone to help from side of the road. Please don't waste your money with this scam..I pray I can get higher up on the chain with onstar to someone else who cares.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

OnStar charged my mother for 9 months of service for a car she didn't own. She bought a new car and setup OnStar service, during the same call cancelled service on the car she traded in. With automatic payments turned on and the fact she was elderly, she did not catch that OnStar was double billing her. After she passed away the issue was identified and OnStar accepted responsibility for the mistake, but only issued a refund for 6 of the 9 months of incorrect billing. This company values money over customers and even when acknowledging mistakes, it does not correct them.

OnStar author review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information