Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.76/5

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I trust OnStar more than any other roadside service because they are right at your fingertips, know where you are located and what services are closest to help you. They are professional, quick and make sure you have everything you need. If you need directions, emergency assistance, issues with your car, they are there with you all the way. One call to them and not having to worry if you have internet service for your cell phone. Quick, easy and efficient, no other service compared to OnStar!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

On Star has always been there for me whether it was due to an accident, a dead battery, flat tire or ran out of gas, even locked my keys in the car once! On Star is my personal angel and I am so grateful I have them for my protection! One time I even got lost talking a day trip to the Oregon coast on a back road. I called On Star and they directed back to civilization, I was so happy and relieved! I'll only use On Star!

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Good customer service and available 24/7. They can tell you what the service code is when the check light goes off. They give discounts for veterans, too. Used the automated service to unlock my car several times, which makes them valuable and worth the cost to me.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

OnStar is a pretty reliable company. They are quick to assist and have good customer service. Great service to have and I do think they care about their customers. They also have pretty up to date and good technology to help in most situations that arise.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I went to pick my grandson up after he got off work after midnight when the battery on my car died. OnStar had someone there in less than 1/2 hour and had us on our way. He was courteous and efficient. Was a lifesaver that time of the night.

Original review: April 11, 2021

When buying a car there are a lot of things to take into consideration. For me one of those things is OnStar and has been for a decade or so. Tonight that changed. It has been my practice ever since being an OnStar customer to lock my keys in my cars when I travel. That way I don’t have to worry about losing them. Well tonight I found out that if you DO NOT start your OnStar vehicle for 10 days or more, all OnStar features are disabled. That’s right! It no longer works. So after a long day of traveling I went to access my vehicle with no luck at all.

I called OnStar to find out that there was nothing they could do because it had been more than 10 days. My only option was road side assistance. They will only be an hour and a half. Not bad right? As long as you don’t mind roadside pulling back and wedging the frame of your $100,000 vehicle. I called to have my spare set driven to the Airport. 1/3 of the time and no chance of damage. What now? I’ll be calling all vehicle manufacturers Monday to see which one doesn’t have a 10 day disabled feature on their remote entry system.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Over the last 3 year Onstar has mistakenly called me almost 1,000 times because they had my phone # as one of their rental fleet contact phone numbers. At every call I would say take my phone # off your list but would receive another call with a day if not hours. Finally I received legal help and was told that I have the right to charged them my regular rate if I properly disclose that every phone call I would charge them this valid and not of ordinary fee. It's amazing that I was transferred to the correct department and my phone # was taken out of their system.

OnStar, the company that runs commercials on family values and saving lives is a very unethical and big business attitude corporation who doesn't care about their faulty business practices. Their executive resolution department is found to be rude and uncaring while no one with upper management is able to be contacted. I made all the proper written complaints with all agency. I'm not a Onstar customer and hope after you read this that you don't support a company with these horrible values.

Original review: March 14, 2021

Canceled my service and they still took money out of my account. I called to tell them to put my money back and they kept telling me it was a valid charge. How can it be a valid charge/withdrawal if the service was canceled? Payments were always taken before the month of service, so cancelation should stop ALL charges/ bank withdrawals. The people they have working for them are rude, and they hang up on you!!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Customer service reps are rude and I cursed one out tonight. I feel so bad that I did. But man that man was over talking me and being extra mean. I do not recommend OnStar. One rep was really good. His name is Brian. After this bad day I had after getting my car stolen Brian was the only nice respectful rep. God bless you Brian and I pray good things happen for him.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Very kind. Will allow you to connect for free to someone while you wait for help. They follow up. Service is fast and excellent. They work with your dealers and insurances. They are the best! And I didn't get any charges ever.

OnStar author review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information