Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.31/5

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I trust OnStar more than any other roadside service because they are right at your fingertips, know where you are located and what services are closest to help you. They are professional, quick and make sure you have everything you need. If you need directions, emergency assistance, issues with your car, they are there with you all the way. One call to them and not having to worry if you have internet service for your cell phone. Quick, easy and efficient, no other service compared to OnStar!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

On Star has always been there for me whether it was due to an accident, a dead battery, flat tire or ran out of gas, even locked my keys in the car once! On Star is my personal angel and I am so grateful I have them for my protection! One time I even got lost talking a day trip to the Oregon coast on a back road. I called On Star and they directed back to civilization, I was so happy and relieved! I'll only use On Star!

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Good customer service and available 24/7. They can tell you what the service code is when the check light goes off. They give discounts for veterans, too. Used the automated service to unlock my car several times, which makes them valuable and worth the cost to me.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

OnStar is a pretty reliable company. They are quick to assist and have good customer service. Great service to have and I do think they care about their customers. They also have pretty up to date and good technology to help in most situations that arise.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I went to pick my grandson up after he got off work after midnight when the battery on my car died. OnStar had someone there in less than 1/2 hour and had us on our way. He was courteous and efficient. Was a lifesaver that time of the night.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Customer service reps are rude and I cursed one out tonight. I feel so bad that I did. But man that man was over talking me and being extra mean. I do not recommend OnStar. One rep was really good. His name is Brian. After this bad day I had after getting my car stolen Brian was the only nice respectful rep. God bless you Brian and I pray good things happen for him.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Very kind. Will allow you to connect for free to someone while you wait for help. They follow up. Service is fast and excellent. They work with your dealers and insurances. They are the best! And I didn't get any charges ever.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

During the six years plus I’ve used this feature only once and will be the last time I will in the future. I experienced a flat tire and upon calling them which was mid afternoon before rush hour. My request for a tow was cancelled by someone other than myself. I proceeded to call them back after being informed of the cancellation. About this time it is rush hour traffic and the tow were on the opposite side of town. When the two men got there while loading my car they bent the under flap and I was looking at the time it happened and told them of the incident which they felt was not a problem. Discount Tires was about to close so they had to hurry. Upon reporting this to Onstar they gave me the towing company who refused to fix my car $950. The car is a well kept Cadillac SRX.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

They track my movements everywhere and sell the info to insurance cos. and others. BIG BROTHER is always watching. You can't have it disabled unless you do it off the books. My other car, a Lincoln, furnishes roadside assistance for FREE.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Great service, friendly, professional but tend to be pricey, feel safe with them. Just wish the cost was less other than that they are great!!! I like knowing they are with you just by pushing a button. They are reliable as well.

OnStar author review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information