1.20/5
  • 1 star
Based on 238 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 2, 2017

343 OnStar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have had the vehicle for six months. I have been trying to cancel the OnStar service all that time. The website NEVER EVER works, and the wait time on the phone is hours. Forget EVER being able to stop them from debiting your account unless you close your bank account. Push the OnStar button in the car? NOTHING HAPPENS. I am paying month after month for a service THAT DOES NOT WORK, that I DON'T NEED, and that it is IMPOSSIBLE to cancel. I guess I need to find an attorney and sue these people.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Although I love OnStar services and have been a subscriber for several years, it is insulting to be charged an extra $100 to renew because I wish to pay by check rather than provide a credit card. If I provide a credit card, they automatically charge it upon renewal without my prior authorization, which is not acceptable to me. I don't think this policy is ethical or reasonable. I am not happy at having to choose between allowing unauthorized renewal payments or being punished with an exorbitant renewal rate if I want to pay in full by check each year.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

While returning home from Tennessee yesterday we came upon a semi-trailer rig engulfed in flames south of Erwin, TN, on Highway 26. I immediately hit the Emergency button on our OnStar, but they never answered. The incident was reported thru a 911 call, but not Onstar. Today, I called Onstars Sales to let them know I was totally dissatisfied with their Emergency Onstar Service. I connected with a live advisor in approx. 20 seconds. Onstar, I think your priorities are on Sales, not Emergencies. Their Care Department Supervisor today, extended my Onstar Contract 3 months. It's highly unlikely I will renew their service. Onstar, get your act together, place more advisors in the Emergency Department and less in Sales. A life may depend on it!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

What an absolutely horrible false sense of security OnStar provides. I thought my 40,000 dollar truck was safe. I thought if someone took it, OnStar would find it. I couldn't have been more wrong. My truck was stolen 7 days ago at 1 am. At 7:30 am I awoke for work and it was gone. I called OnStar and simply got nothing. After three days they called to tell me they could not locate it. They said, "It appears it was tampered with".

I had always knowing that it could be disabled, obviously as with anything it can be removed but I would have never thought you could simply google "disable OnStar" and find out that it only takes 3 minutes to simply unplug it. I'm also ashamed that my insurance assisted this false sense of security by offering me a discount for having the OnStar tracking. I almost never leave one star reviews, I almost never leave negative reviews without saying something positive but in this case I simply cannot say anything positive. I can't wait for OnStar to tap into me driving when I get my new truck. I'll be sure to rip that rep a new one. OnStar makes me sick to my stomach.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

So I got a new car with 3 GIG FREE WIFI. They get me to sign up for unlimited when free is done. But 2 weeks in get a bill for $20 for unlimited wifi call and they say error, cancel bill, but it cancels my WIFI after 2 30 min calls on phone with Onstar getting transferred around to people who have no idea what they are doing. Say internal technical support must put it back but they cannot figure how. Told times a supervisor will call back. Not no calls back. Now I call back and they say 3-5 business days. Ready to return car and tell GM FORGET I AM GOING BACK TO BMW and MERCEDES CARS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I live just south east of Atlanta in one of the hardest hit counties in Ga. from Tropical Storm Irma. My power had been out for hours and the cell tower for my network was down. The only resource I had to reach out for assistance during this pounding storm was OnStar. When the very pleasant rep answered, he immediately changed my state of mind from almost panic, to peace. I needed to contact a few people which included my cell provider. He researched, found and connected me the correct contact number and stayed with me until I reached a live rep. While talking with the cell rep., my call disconnected. When I called OnStar back, the new rep. just picked up where the prior one had left off. In no time, I was reconnected with my cell provider rep and my issues were soon resolved. I can't say enough about the excellent customer service I received during such a crucial time! Thanks OnStar!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Between OnStar and or ATT it is a large chore getting online. Not sure what is what but they cannot achieve this because of a errs. So no WIFI and no answer. Much easier to go buy a Verizon jetpack. Or a Ford Pickup.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

After paying for OnStar protection for over ten years my Car broke down on the side of a country road. Ninety degree day. I'm a little unsettled. It just died. I had no electrical so no OnStar push button on the rear view mirror and I think for a few minutes. I am lock in the car. Windows up and getting very Hot. I use my cell phone to call Onstar. I have a card I carry in my wallet with my member number and car phone number. I know my name and home address and phone number but this isn't enough for the guy who answers the phone. He wants my vin #. Well I think I am locked in the car and need him to let me out. I can not see the vin#.

Finally I realize I can push the button (duh!). Wow. Now I am out of the car so I tell him now I need a tow. He transfers me to a girl who has more questions. What address am I near? Well I am on a road right at an intersection. I can give that information but there are no homes or businesses around so this is the best I can do. It takes her forever to get a GPS on me. We have been on the phone 30 minutes by now. She puts me on hold and when she finally comes back says it will be 50-70 minutes for a tow truck! Really?? Never heard from tow truck.

My friend came, jumped my car and ran up the battery. I drove the 2 miles to the repair garage and called it a day. I figure I have spent over $2,000.00 on Onstar protection and this is what I get? I have emailed the company. No response. I told the person who called to check on me several hours after this happen and she said she would file a report. It has been 20 days since the breakdown and I have not heard anything from Onstar.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I purchased a 2017 GMC Denali 3500 HD from the dealer brand new, only 1.5 month prior to this incident. My son and I went to the matinee movie at AMC Camp Creek, we had only been inside theatre 50 mins before returning to vehicle to find it had been vandalized. I reached out to OnStar and got several different excuses. Unbeknownst to the Onstar Rep, I had the full Onstar service she said I was not in the security plan in the package I had chosen, then another person told me I didn't have an emergency contact number, that was a lie because your brand has been calling and emailing me, and the third rep said we contacted you at 1305hrs, that was a lie also.

Folks please stop paying into this scam we call security is false, and you lose much more than what you are paying for. They offered me 3 months free service, but please explain to me why would I still be interested in your service when you didn't perform up to expectations in the first place? To the the current date after several calls no one has called to discuss nor make an offer about my loss of property due to them not notifying for immediate response to theft/vandalism. ONSTAR IS NO GOOD!!!

Original review: July 13, 2017

Bought new GMC last summer. After free subscription I called and cancelled but they not only kept charging but denied they were charging. After 5 phone calls each time they told me they will check it out and call me. They never did plus said there was no record of me calling. Finally my CC company is blocking them. My advice is to stay away from OnStar.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I have been with OnStar since 2000. The problems have been minor up to now. I have 5 cars under subscription. I recently purchased a new Cadillac. GM offers a 6-month service contract free. Talking to my good friends at OnStar, they got my vin # mixed up with a GMC Terrane vin #. They told me I could have the transmitter replaced in the Cadillac & then they can accept me as a customer. Mind you they say there is nothing wrong with my OnStar transmitter. I will be leaving OnStar as soon as I have used up the minutes left on my other cars!!!

Original review: April 8, 2017

I have an OnStar equipped car, however I have never subscribed to OnStar. Suddenly, after almost 2 years of never using, contacting or having any association with OnStar, they started coming on while I was driving. Every time I put the car into drive and park, OnStar would connect and ask me if I wanted to activate my account. One time I honked the horn and got connected to an associate. I could not disconnect the calls myself and when it connected to my car, it shut off the clock, radio and heat.

Now, I live in upstate New York, so the last time this happened, I was driving my son to Boy Scouts and it was 30 degrees outside. I put the car in drive and it asked me to activate my account. Sometimes I could say no, answer a couple other questions and it would disconnect, other times, it connected me to an associate. This time, I got an associate. I asked her to disconnect and hang up. She started in about deactivating my account! I said I have no account, you don't even know who I am, just hang up!! I refused to give my name. She would not disconnect.

I told her she needed to disconnect, OnStar has shut off my heat and it is 30 degrees and she still wouldn't. She did nothing I asked her, which was only to hang up and was on the whole time until I got to Boy Scouts, about 10 minutes. I was beyond mad. After about 5 minutes of no help from her, I couldn't even understand her anymore!! Once where I was going, I told her I am at my destination and am going inside and that she better disconnect and not drain my battery. Since then, less than 24 hours from now, I have not heard from them.

I drive my kids around and they had to listen to that, and my oldest just got his license and wants to drive constantly, and I had to instruct him on how to respond to OnStar so he could drive. I found it very distracting while driving and very upsetting. I will never have OnStar now. I will do everything I can to not even buy an OnStar equipped car ever again. They have access to YOUR car whenever they want even when you don't have them. A horrible company. Horrible customer service.

Original review: April 1, 2017

Purchased new 2016 Suburban in Albany, NY late May, 2016. OnStar free for 9 months. First 3 months, free wifi (3Gigs). I agree to purchase 1Gig extra for $15 per month. No one ever pointed out to me that every time I got in the truck my smartphone was "using" data. My wifi would last very limited amounts of time without me or family even using it. Finally, I get billed the monthly $15 fee on 3/30/17. The same day at 4:39pm I get a text alert: I have exceeded over 80% data usage. I never used the phone in the truck that day. I called OnStar. They gave me the runaround. Technical people gave me different answers on questions I asked regarding data used, etc.

Finally spoke to Supervisor (John in Canada), who gave me even more different answers to same questions. Asked for my money to be refunded. Refused with no explanation. "We won't refund for used data." I explained I never 'used' the data... my phone ate the data without me ever touching my phone. Didn't want to hear that no one ever explained to me how it worked. Different note: January 2017, February 2017, March 2017... I was charged $39.84 per month for OnStar service. I never agreed to this. They tell me it automatically bills on monthly cycle once free period ends. No warning, no prior notice, they just start billing. Never again OnStar.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I just bought a new 2017 truck with OnStar. Truck came with it. I didn't order it. Had to pay $175. Truck cost $42,650. The "basic plan" is for "5 years plus 3 month service with automatic crash response, navigation & more. Includes 4G LTE WI-FI(R) Hotspot w/ limited data trial & more (subject to terms see onstar.com)". Well, I bought it December 5th and within a month and a half, start getting online requests for money to keep the service. Unsolicited "Spam" in other words. I never gave OnStar any address, much less my email. I responded with: "This is why I loathe giving out my email address to anyone. You want to communicate with me? Do it by US Mail." Sure enough, I got within days a packet FedEx-ed to me. In it, all it basically said was: "To renew, you must go online".

Uh-oh! That's when I did some research and found this ConsumerAffairs site. I read about onstar ripping people off using their credit card information. So, I wrote them online and asked: "I need to renew my subscription. Do you need my credit card number or do you already have it?" Someone responded with something like: "I can't answer that question. You must go to the billing site." Man, they sure want my money! I responded with only: "I'll make a note of it." I know one thing, I ain't "re-upping" my onstar! I just hope they don't lock me in my vehicle when they find out!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Involved in a car accident. Used my OnStar. Asked operator to call police and ambulance. Had an injured passenger and my truck was filling up with smoke. OnStar refused to call for help until I answered a series of about 25 questions. Told OnStar several times I needed an ambulance and truck was filling with smoke but each time they refused to call for help until I answered questions. I tried to disconnect the line so I could call for help myself but OnStar refused to clear the line. This went on for 17 min. OnStar put both my injured passenger and myself in great danger. I will be calling an attorney.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

On 8/19/15 I purchased my vehicle from a local Chevy dealer in GA and set up OnStar and paid a monthly fee of $20.00-$25.00 per month for Stolen Vehicle Assistance to alert you when your vehicle is being tampered with and if stolen OnStar can find the location and remotely turn the vehicle off among other things. On December 5, 2016 I had my 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD stolen from a parking lot in East Point, GA. I contacted OnStar at 3:09pm to report my vehicle stolen and while on the phone with OnStar, 911 was dispatched to the location of the parking lot and the phone disconnected, I called OnStar again at 3:19pm.

Shortly after completing the incident report with the East Point Police Department, I contacted OnStar at 3:33pm to get the location of the vehicle and to use the security service feature that is paid monthly which at that time OnStar informed me that the vehicle location was not available and would contact me once a location is found. I went in to the building to see if I could retrieve camera footage of my truck being stolen from the parking lot which showed that the theft occurred at 2:00pm that day. After reviewing video footage I contacted OnStar again at 4:29pm to get a status update of the vehicle and was again told that the vehicle location was not available and contacted OnStar several more times that day to follow up on the location.

On Thursday, December 8th I submitted an e-mail correspondence to OnStar regarding the security features outlined in our plan and no communication was returned with the dissatisfaction of the service provided. On Friday, December 9th I, again, contacted OnStar by e-mail and received a response “We will contact you shortly”. On Saturday, December 10th I sent a Facebook message requesting answers to my complaints and once again, no communication was provided. On Sunday, December 11th I received a response from OnStar at 11:13am stating,

“Thank you for taking the time to e-mail OnStar regarding information on your stolen 2015 Chevrolet Silverado. I understand how important it is for you to know why a signal was not sent to you when your vehicle was stolen. I have added your email to the case that was opened for this issue on December 7, 2016. For immediate assistance, please contact our Technical Team, Monday to Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. EST, Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST, by pressing the OnStar button or by calling the phone number below. Refer to your case #**. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply to this message, call us at 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or press your blue OnStar button. Marsha, OnStar Information Specialist.”

Again on Sunday, December 11th at 2:26pm, I received another response from OnStar responding to my Facebook message stating "Thank you, Ashley. I see that you currently have the Basic Plan until 8-18-2020. This is our free service that includes limited access through the mobile app, but does not include certain features such as Stolen Vehicle Assistance. I understand the inconvenience of this situation, but we recommend continuing to work with the police on a resolution. If you have any additional questions on your current plan, please don't hesitate to let us know. Corey, OnStar Customer Care."

"My account shows we in fact did have stolen vehicle assistance - check your records. I can send you all my paperwork I printed off the other day that in fact shows WE do have this feature- Ashley." "My sincerest apologies, Ashley. Our records indicate that the Security Plan was canceled in August, but I do see that a new plan started that same month. In order to better assist you, I am going to forward your information to our Specialty Team. Please expect a call from them in the coming days after they have a chance to review your account. If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let me know. Corey, OnStar Customer Care"

Through Facebook social media posting of the video we actually recovered our own vehicle on Sunday, December 11, 2016 with people reporting sighting of the truck. We were very surprised it wasn't at a chop shop and assumed we were never going to see it again, however, received a call from an anonymous person that seen the Facebook post that went viral and my husband went to the location of the truck to confirm it was in fact his. Once he confirmed it he contacted the local authorities which did nothing and found out you can't actually arrest someone unless they are physically driving it even though the truck was actually sitting in someone's driveway. The police said without hesitation "Take it home", and left leaving my husband by himself, sitting in front of the thief home for 45 minutes waiting for someone to come help him drive the other vehicle to our home.

Once he got the truck home he thoroughly inspected it, and since this was a custom truck that has a custom paint job you can't just repair it at your local paint shop. Unfortunately without it voiding the warranties on the truck we had to take it to the original GM authorized dealer that made the upgrades which is located in South Carolina which is 5 hours away from our house. We of course have auto insurance, however, our auto policy does not cover stolen personal property that was in the truck, only covers up to 30 days of rental coverage with a $20.00 a day cap. We had a claims adjuster that came out and only provided us with a small amount of money to have the truck fixed as they don't recognize any custom upgrades on the vehicle and is not included even though we purchased this truck brand new from GM. The upgrades were completed by a GM authorized dealer.

On Monday, December 12th we received a phone call from Carrie in the corporate office claiming that a theft notification was sent on Monday, December 12th at 3:30 which was immediately disputed as there was no notification sent in an email advising of a theft notification. She requested we make sure our email was correct which it was and stated she does not know why and offered 8 months free service and we declined, and she immediately offered 12 months free service which again we declined. On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 a letter was mailed and emailed regarding this matter to the corporate office and no response was communicated back and mailed a final letter of demand on December 23, 2016.

I finally heard from a corporate representative Christine on Monday, January 2nd and informed me that our complaint is now in the right hands and would have the matter resolved. Through several email conversations she requested that they have a 3rd Party Investigate this matter and would be able to go out to review the vehicle for damages.

At this point no repair work has been completed on the truck 1 month after being recovered, and today, January 13, 2017 I receive a phone call from Christine stating with a now 4th excuse "Yes, OnStar failed to activate your Vehicle Theft Protection which resulted in the truck being stolen." She goes on to state that the 3rd party investigator they hired to review the claim showed it to be in our favor. Offered to pay an equivalent to 2 truck payments in good faith. I of course disagreed as we have lost a substantial amount of money from this to include 2 vehicle payments, rental vehicle coverage, difference in insurance not paying for damages, personal property loss, OnStar payments, loss of wages and travel totaling upwards $13,000.00 and potentially additional costs we may incur.

In conclusion the only way to resolve this is to file a lawsuit, but my dilemma is we live in Atlanta, GA and GM OnStar is based in Detroit, MI and the amount I am seeking is well beyond the small claim limits of Michigan which is $5000 and therefore have to physically resolve the matter in Michigan and I just can’t seem to find an attorney, and I certainly can’t meet with one as it too far and simply exhausting which I am sure OnStar was banking on that.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

Bought the wife 2016 Trax and we received 3 months free Onstar. It was so useless we didn't even use it at all for 2 months. I told the wife, "well it's free so let's use it and see what it's all about." Except for the remote start and lock feature on the app for your phone, totally a waste of money and time. The navigation is terrible, much better on your phone and when I called Onstar to see what was offered I got a woman with a lot of attitude when I mentioned I thought we were getting Onstar for 5 years for free.

I had misread that we get a revised version of Onstar which turned out to be only the functions that would have remotely interested me like the remote start/lock previously mentioned. Regardless, when I stated "I thought I read that we get Onstar for free for 5 years?" I got laughed at then a stereotypical ** woman response back at me saying and I quote, "You think we are gonna give you free accident reporting and navigation for 5 years? I don't think so!"

I simply replied, "I do not need either of those anyway so it's all good." So to recap, I have no idea how there still is an Onstar or any need for it with today's technology or why Chevrolet hasn't updated the service to keep it more relevant and price effective. Maybe if you're an older person who has no knowledge of everyday smart phone apps and so on, but for the majority of people it's a non-starter.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

OnStar should pay ME to utilize their services!!! Truth be told, I'm on a "free trial" with the recent purchase of my Buick. Most recently, I drove from my home in Ct. to Newport RI... a 90 min. trip at most, and one I have taken hundreds of times. Unfortunately I listened to the advice of my traveling companion & did not take my usual exit, but kept going "to try an easier route"!!! 20 miles later my companion admitted he had become confused and I sure didn't know the way to Newport from our current location. I pulled off the nearest exit & called OnStar... my first experience!! I was filled with anticipation & great hopes!! A route was promptly "fed" to us & we set out, anxious to get to our destination.

FOUR HOURS LATER we arrived in Newport, Rhode Island... exhausted and quite agitated. We actually lost the entire 1st day in Newport. I've reluctantly utilized OnStar 4 more times since that adventure. Only once did they get it right. That's a 75% failure rate in my book!!! Do yourself a favor... Save lots of time, money & aggravation & buy a map!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

I was lucky enough to have my dealer give me 24 months of OnStar service at no charge when I purchased my new Buick. I did not renew because I find the service pretty useless. No one needs their navigation service in 2016 (for $24.95?!) and even the lowest priced package is $14.95. The ONLY part of OnStar I use is the app to remote start my car. Three months ago they told me they would give me three more months free so I foolishly accepted. Well, my key fob went dead a few weeks ago (not the battery, dead) and there was no way to operate my vehicle without it functioning (very smart GM). I was away from home so I called OnStar for the first time. They knew NOTHING. I was transferred THREE times over 45 minutes as they tried to look up my problem to no avail.

They offered roadside assistance and had no response when I said "What will roadside assistance do? Can they start my car? Towing my vehicle an hour to the dealer won't resolve anything as it's the key fob malfunctioning, not the car." SILENCE. Then I was put on hold for another ten minutes and by a miracle the fob started working and my car started! I hung up but OnStar showed how useless they are. (I had the fob replaced by the dealer the next day myself.) Now the free 90 days is up and I can't cancel. There is no online method and calling leaves you on hold. I will keep trying and prepare to dispute any credit card charges. The service is worth perhaps $4.95 a month for what I get out of it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I called Onstar on Monday Dec 12 and asked what other options for my 2007 Chevy Avalanche is there. Will the Onstar APP work for lockout. They stated no and the only advantage for Onstar is crash assistance and if you are locked out they will call a tow truck for you. (Well heck I can do that myself). They also stated if you are out of gas will assist, and hands free. They stated only vehicles from 2011 will the app that will work so basically having an older vehicle not worth the $199.00. I also asked so what happens if the vehicle is stolen will law enforcement get involved. They stated only if you have the service. WOW. As the vehicle gets older technology changes but give me a break. I asked for a discount. It was only offer $20.00. Really $20.00 discount.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

I ordered 20gb plan. Right in the middle of working in the car the data shuts down and I LOST 40 MINUTES WORTH OF WORK. I to see about adding minutes. I told the rep "would you like to come to my car and redo the 40 minutes of work I lost?" She laughed at me. I talked to the supervisor and she tried to sell me way more data than I need.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

Purchased 4G of data - on a trip - my daughter used 2.4 to download a movie then turned her WiFi off. Checked the OnStar app and had 2.6 left. 2 days later on the trip back the app stated that there was 4 left. I knew this was not right and called OnStar. They said on their end no data was left - they got my $20.00 and dissatisfaction. Their data plan is a scam.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

DO NOT PURCHASE DATA PLANS!!! OnStar RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS ON DATA PLANS. In June wife and I took a trip, so we purchased the 5G plan for $50. We "ran" out of data 2 days later. Called OnStar to complain and they verified we used 5G in a COUPLE days. We found that very hard to believe, but like a fool I stayed with the monthly 5G plan, to renew monthly. Was told we would only be charged if we used the data. Well, even with turning off wifi on our phones and iPads, we still "used" 5G of data in a few days while on the trip. Called to discuss this with them, and they showed we had used the data. We finished our trip a week later. Then while at home and with the truck sitting in the driveway for 4 months, essentially not being used except to change parking spots, we were still charged the $50 monthly fee.

Then, in November, we used the truck twice, once for 3 hours and the other time for 5 hours. We noticed that we had used 2.6GB in those 8 hours!! Called OnStar. Wanted a refund for the charges and to cancel all service. We had been charged $200 for service not received. Got the runaround with 5 different people, and hung up on once. They would not refund and insisted I had been using data. STAY AWAY FROM ONSTAR. Attorney Generals need to look into OnStar.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

We own a 2012 Tahoe which has OnStar. Earlier in the year of 2016, the service went out with no warning. We made numerous calls to OnStar to get it resolved. The best they could do was suggest that we take the vehicle to the car dealer and have the module replaced for $500 (minimum) but since they didn't know what was wrong with the device, they couldn't guarantee it would work. A couple of months ago, we bought a Traverse and in November of 2016, the same problem happened to its OnStar. We now have two vehicles with two malfunctioning OnStar devices that no one knows how to fix. We give OnStar a minus zero.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Navigation, the worst! Billing takes out money out of your account at will, even when you paid a year in advance. Plan on spending many hours of your life on the phone on hold trying to get matters resolved. I've heard "I'm sorry" so much I'm sick of it and cancelled it. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

Yesterday I found that my car had the keys locked inside. When I called OnStar they said that they could NOT unlock the car. When I asked why they said that the OnStar button had not been pressed in the last five days. This sounds more than crazy to me. Even though I talk to a supervisor they indicated they WOULD not unlock the car. What this means is that if you don't call for some service every five days you will not get one of the basic desires of the service.

It appears that I need to lock the keys in my car at least once a week to be able to have them open it up remotely. When I suggested that I don't need this service if they can't perform this basic service they said "go ahead. We will KEEP your money but we will GLADLY cancel your service." Does this sound right ANYBODY out there?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

Your company continue to use my credit card without my permission not having official approval. I'm in the process of seeking legal representation to solve this problem. I have been dealing with this situation on two or three occasions with the same problem. I consider this stealing without my permission. I have had several conversations with your customer service department to contact me before trying to debit my personal credit card.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I was contacted by OnStar two weeks ago to renew my OnStar acct. They told me it was 299.00 for the year. Then I ask if there was any discount for GM employee. They said yes it would be 229 for the year, when I called again to confirm that price they said it was 227.00 for GM employee. Ok so I called today to pay for my OnStar and they said they can't do that price. That not good business. I am very disappointed with GM.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

We got OnStar with the purchase of our 2016 Colorado. The first year was fine-no problem. The second year the credit card they had was compromise, so I updated the information online. When they went to charge the monthly fee they were using the wrong card. How did I know, I kept getting Visa alerts. I called them and got some girl in India saying yes they had the correct card #, I said ok. But they kept using the wrong card #. So again called, they said yes had the right card number, then I hear someone coaching her to try to sell me AT&T services!!! I cut her off and hung up.

Well, meanwhile, the updated card was then compromised (someone trying to charge $1200 to Walmart), so I cut that card off and got another visa card. Something told me not to give it to them, just let the service lapse. Well I am glad I did, after reading all the stuff about them. Now they are trying to use both cancel visa card to get payment, Visa alerts. NO MORE ONSTAR - I HAVE ROAD SERVICE WITH AAA.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I recently bought a car with OnStar. Ever since I had the trial version turned on my cell phone rings every 10 minutes. Nothing shows up on the phone screen. No phone number. No name of caller. After I work with OnStar to correct the problem, it stops for a few hours, then starts back up again. We've changed numbers to no avail. They cannot figure out what to do. The dealership is involved as well. I have half a mind to cancel the trial version. It's so irritating!!!

OnStar expert review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Best for: OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information