2.9/5 (1148 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I was helping the gentleman at a Wawa service station that locked his keys in his car. He also locked his cell phone in his car. I give all the instructions to OnStar which never relayed the same information to dispatch. Dispatch continued to call me and give me updates when I am nowhere close to that person that needed help which is elderly. This is the worst roadside service I have ever seen in my life and by the way no one speaks English. OnStar refers there and outsources their information to someone India or Pakistan and they have no clue what they are doing. I would never personally subscribe to OnStar. Horrible, horrible service.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

It gave me relief to have Onstar, but their monthly report had the wrong information on my tire pressure and oil change. I would panic and go running to the station to find out that my tires were ok. They raised my rates every year and would not carry over minutes unless you added more. Customer service was good, but I rarely used it. I found out that I could not get Onstar unless I had the motor on. I quit because I could not handle the new technology. I have other roadside assistance but will miss the theft accident protection.

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I inherited a car with OnStar hardware installed. My grandfather stopped service long ago, but the car continually chirps "OnStar not currently available. Please try again." This is a convertible, so it brings extra attention at stoplights, etc. It's just super annoying. I call OnStar and they say they can't do anything about it. The car dealer says they don't want to touch it, not their product. Who creates a product that "can't cancel?" SOOOO frustrating. I asked to speak to a manager, surely somebody has technical expertise who can tell me how to get it disconnected and I was put on hold with a very LOUD screeching sound for a long time before I hung up (I'm fairly confident this was their goal.) Just stay away. Bad news bears.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I recently took over my 85 year old mom's bills. Find Onstar has been billing her CC for an account we closed years ago. When I contacted them, they couldn't even find her account. Then they said there's no vehicle or history associated with the account so it must have been closed a long time ago. All done by texts because their wait time to call is so long.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I have 2021 and 2022 Cadillac Escalade ESV. Third vehicle is also on the way. I have an issue with my rear entertainment system. There are three apps. Which is YouTube, YouTube Kids and Hulu. When I am clicking that it's saying call OnStar Service for data plan. I have 6 months data plan. I called and talked with 6 persons and explained it. They still didn't resolve my problem. Terrible Advisors. They're definitely unprofessional. Don't give your cc info, I don't recommend it!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

OnStar and GM Roadside scam. I pay for roadside and OnStar. My vehicle breaks down on the highway. I press my OnStar emergency button. I tell them I need a towtruck. Instead they call police and let the police call for the towtruck. So roadside refuses to pay for the tow. I'm told I have to pay up front. I didn't have the money for the tow so police impound my vehicle. Four days and nearly $700 later I get my vehicle back. Now GM Roadside is refusing to reimburse me. NEVER USE ONSTAR OR GM ROADSIDE. OnStar even admitted there have been similar situations.

Original review: July 21, 2022

I’ve been an OnStar subscriber since 2013, first with my 2013 Malibu then after I purchased my new 2014 Impala. Both had the OnStar system feature in the roof of the cars just behind the windshield. In 2013 OnStar offered me Mobil Cell minutes and a phone number specifically for the car. I was able to carry over the minutes each year that renewed my yearly membership.

In 2021, I contacted OnStar in regards to renewing my membership. I was notified that the cell phone feature and minutes would no longer be available after December 2021. At no time did OnStar email me or contact me in any way letting me know that this service was to be canceled and I would lose my minutes with no refund for my unused minutes. I considered this a safety feature and I was able to rely on the car cell phone service on more than one occasion when my regular cell phone could not get a signal.

In June of 2022 the automated OnStar system began robo calling my car letting me know my subscription was going to expire in mid July 2022. After emails and multiple calls to my car I contacted OnStar approximately one month before my plan was to expire. I was told I could only extend my membership month to month and that was up until the end of December 2022.

OnStar told me that the features I had been using OnStar for would no longer be available to me due to the fact that my Impala was 2014 or older. All GM vehicles 2014 or older that were equipped with the OnStar console were going to cease to function at all. I was told that I would need to switch to what they called “The Guardian app“ if I wanted to use any OnStar features in the future and it would cost 15.99 a month, and would require a smartphone and data to function. OnStar tried to tell me the app was just as good as the built in system in the car.

I asked how? I was told you could press the Blue OnStar button on the app to contact OnStar for assistance, and in the event of an accident the app would sense the collision and automatically call OnStar. I asked what would happen if my phone was damaged in the collision? There was a moment of silence, then she replied “that’s a very good question."

With the current My Chevrolet app that’s ties into OnStar, I was able to remote start my car, remotely lock and unlock my vehicle, hit the locate/emergency button and activate the lights and horn, I could see my miles to empty, my tire pressure and my current service record and warranty. All of these options will no longer be available if you own a 2014 or older GM vehicle, that includes being able to call OnStar and have them remotely unlock your doors if you lock your keys in the car, as well as the remote diagnostic feature if you had a check engine light come on. So basically OnStar will not be tied or connected to your vehicle any longer.

So basically after December 2022 your OnStar console in the roof of your 2014 or older GM vehicle will become an eyesore that’s serves no functionality whatsoever. I’m sure it will also be used against you if you try to sell or trade in your vehicle because it’s an integrated part of your car that no longer works or serves a function.

OnStar tried to tell me there may be a mechanical service that your local dealer can do to upgrade your OnStar system to the 4 or 5G, but I went to my local GM dealer and this was all news to them, they were unaware that the OnStar consoles in the 2014 or older GM cars were going to quit functioning after December 2022, and they definitely did not know about any hardware update that the service department could do to keep the system functioning. My advice, stay away from any vehicles that have OnStar regardless of the make model and year. I forgot to mention OnStar was quick to point out that they were not responsible for the change in cell towers that was causing the cancelation of services. Yeah right… Document Complete.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Waited over 3 hours for a tow! After 2 1/2 hrs they verified that no tow service had been "contracted". Supervisor then told me it would be another 190 mins. A 2nd choice was 90 mins. Just know that in extraordinary situations they protect their $$ not YOU! For peace-of-mind while driving don't "OnStar" - seek an alternative service. Took me 10 yrs to discover their high monthly fee was not worth it. The excuse I got by text was "labor shortages" in my area. There were 3 tow companies within 5 mi. of my location, but they chose to go with one 38 miles from me. Likely cheaper. There should be a limit on how long they make their members wait for service before they contact someone for quicker service, whatever the cost. I was able to call one of the 3 near me and he was readily available, if I wanted him. They should have used the excuse "due to cost in your area."

Original review: May 17, 2022

I had OnStar for several months before canceling. I canceled due to the app never working correctly. When I canceled I was told (have the screen shots) that I would be receiving a refund in 3-5 business days. Fast Forward to several days, at least a week later and I decide to message as I had not yet received my refund. After an hour messaging with two different reps I am finally told an error occurred on their part and I needed to calling billing dept. No one had bothered to correct this or even notify me of the error that occurred on their end. I am guessing in hopes I wouldn't notice and they could just keep my money. Needless to say I am NEVER going to use this service again and I would not recommend to anyone either. Terrible customer service, it's like talking to dumb robots who are reading the non stop same ** apology from a book. I still have to call billing now and do their jobs for them to get the money they owe to me.

Original review: April 27, 2022

When you buy a GM product they tout the GPS in the car for navigation but rarely if ever tell you it doesn't work until you pay Onstar a current sum of $300/yr. If you don't pay Onstar you are stuck with a screen in the middle of your panel that is essentially worthless. NOW after that $300/yr what happens when those GPS maps need updating...Oooops, THAT is not included by Onstar and must be installed by the GM dealer. WHAT A SCAM for perpetual nickel and diming.

OnStar author review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information