Find a Roadside Assistance Services partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I trust OnStar more than any other roadside service because they are right at your fingertips, know where you are located and what services are closest to help you. They are professional, quick and make sure you have everything you need. If you need directions, emergency assistance, issues with your car, they are there with you all the way. One call to them and not having to worry if you have internet service for your cell phone. Quick, easy and efficient, no other service compared to OnStar!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

On Star has always been there for me whether it was due to an accident, a dead battery, flat tire or ran out of gas, even locked my keys in the car once! On Star is my personal angel and I am so grateful I have them for my protection! One time I even got lost talking a day trip to the Oregon coast on a back road. I called On Star and they directed back to civilization, I was so happy and relieved! I'll only use On Star!

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Good customer service and available 24/7. They can tell you what the service code is when the check light goes off. They give discounts for veterans, too. Used the automated service to unlock my car several times, which makes them valuable and worth the cost to me.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

OnStar is a pretty reliable company. They are quick to assist and have good customer service. Great service to have and I do think they care about their customers. They also have pretty up to date and good technology to help in most situations that arise.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I went to pick my grandson up after he got off work after midnight when the battery on my car died. OnStar had someone there in less than 1/2 hour and had us on our way. He was courteous and efficient. Was a lifesaver that time of the night.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I called to cancel my free trial before the monthly subscription started. The man would not accept my answer of "I do not want the service" and kept talking in circles about having time left on the trial (it ends at midnight tonight). He kept asking for a reason why I wanted to cancel, at least 5 times of this back and forth, until I told him it was due to horrible customer service and he hung up on me. God forbid somebody like this isn't on the other end of an emergency call, and doesn't accept your reason of being in danger. There is a reason why Chevrolet vehicles will not have this service on 2022 vehicles.

Original review: June 15, 2021

Purchased a new Buick. After my 30 day free trial with OnStar I reviewed my choices. I found it very hard to understand my choices offered. I called a customer service person and really got lackluster results. After paying for the expensive "bundle and save" I tried it out. Come to find out you have to purchase another separate data plan for other things in the original plan to work. Customer service agent did not advise me of this. Tried calling service from my car 4 times and could never speak to a line person. Kept hearing the same loop of rhetoric over and over and no one ever came on the line. Got out of the car and called a 5th time and same thing. On the 6th call I actually spoke to 3 different people. I ultimately canceled the plan one hour later. Bottom line, customer service is extremely poor and overwhelmed. I will never purchase a plan.

Original review: June 5, 2021

My adult daughter purchased a new Silverado in December. In January, her truck was hit head on by a drunk driver and totaled. After a month of driving a rental car the insurance company had not settled. I purchased a new 2021 Suburban in January, paid for, titled in my name only, and insured in my name. I let my daughter drive it until her claim was settled and she could purchase a new vehicle. Last week my daughter decided that she did not want me monitoring where she was, so she pushed the blue button and said she was the new owner of the vehicle.

Without any notification or verification my account was canceled and transferred to her. All history of my account was deleted from my app and online account. When I called Onstar I was told my daughter would have to give me permission to access my account. I was told by the advisor that I could call the police and have her arrested. This is a security breach. No one should be able to get into your vehicle and take over your account. I’ve purchased over 40 new GM cars and trucks in the past 40 years. All had Onstar. The price has gone up and up and the service has gone down. Looking for something better.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I bought a new Chevy truck. Had it about 5 months. Received a letter beings I had sold my truck. OnStar was disconnected. I called and told them I had not sold my truck and to please reconnect the service. They wanted to charge me to do that. When I asked why I had to pay for their mistake she hung up on me. I buy trucks for my business every two years. I will not be buying any that offer OnStar.

Original review: April 27, 2021

OnStar basic services app used to work great (remote, diagnostics, navigation, etc.) and I loved it. And, since it DID work so great, OnStar decided that it needed to be updated (?!?). So they did. And it quit working altogether for my '15 'Vette and many, many, many other people. In fact, trying to reinstall the app now gives me an error message telling me in big red letters that the app was was no longer compatible. Spent a couple of hours on phone with OnStar. They tried, but were clueless. In fact, the individuals I spoke with weren't even aware of the reviews that were being posted on the Android PlayStore (or so they say!). Turns out there are 100's of 1-star complaints over just the last few weeks related directly to problems with this update. LOTS of problems. And the OnStar people were unaware of this?? Really? Wow.

OnStar has chosen to disenfranchise many, many (who knows how many?) customers for some unknown reason. Customers like me. Bottom line, from OnStar, is that if I want the program to work (again) I have to buy a new $600 phone. Hmmmmm, let me think. I've gotten by driving WITHOUT OnStar for over 50 years now (yeah, I'm old). I've got a paid-for smart phone that, although a couple of years old now, works just fine (LG-G4). So the choice is just keep on keeping on without OnStar (you know, like I did for 50 years!), or drop $600 on a new phone PLUS pay OnStar 12 bucks a month for the rest of time. Guess which I chose ... and I'm betting I'm not alone. I'm outta here. I've cancelled my service. We're done.

OnStar author review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information