Save on Car Repairs

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

383 OnStar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

When we bought our 2015 Chevy Tahoe we subscribed to OnStar service thinking it was a good idea, particularly for emergencies. Two years ago, I inadvertently locked my keys in the car and when I called OnStar I provided them the appropriate answers and code word and they unlocked my car and I was able to retrieve my keys. Please note here, AT NO TIME, did they ask if I was the subscriber, but only asked for a description of the vehicle and the code word, and I believe my wife’s cell phone number as she is the main subscriber. Today October 17, 2018, my wife was unable to locate the Tahoe in a multilevel public garage. Her cell phone was inoperable, however, she was able to ask a complete stranger if she could borrow his phone whereupon she called me and advised me of her situation.

I called OnStar and asked if there was something they could do to help my wife locate the Tahoe. I was told they could actually sound the alarm where the lights will flash and the horn would sound for approximately 15 minutes. Again, I provided them with the code word, a description of the Tahoe, as well as the telephone number of the main subscriber, my wife. Unable to locate the Tahoe, my wife again found another complete stranger and using their phone, called me to advise she could not find the Tahoe.

I told her I would again call OnStar and have them activate the alarm as they did the last time. This time however I spoke to a rather smug young lady who, despite my telling her I had no way to contact my wife and was unable to locate the Tahoe, thereby placing her in a rather unsafe position. And this rather and incompassionate and insensitive person refused to turn on the vehicles alarm because I was not the main subscriber, even though it was previously done approximately 20 minutes earlier.

Since she was thick-headed, I asked to speak with a supervisor, who in turn, was no better than the smug lady I had just spoken to. When I explained to this so-called supervisor that my wife was in a public garage, all alone with no cell phone, and unable to locate the Tahoe and was now in a very unsafe and vulnerable position, This supervisor coldly informed me that my wife would just have to find a way to call OnStar herself since she was the main subscriber and asked for assistance herself. I asked the supervisor what was my wife supposed to use to call OnStar when she had no cell phone? Her response was just basically she’d have to find another way to contact OnStar.

So despite me having the same last name, knowing the code word, the description of the vehicle, my wife’s cell phone number, this woman did not care enough about my wife’s safety to simply sound an alarm - nothing more, nothing less. As a cop was 34 years experience this was the most asinine response from a company that is supposed to provide security and assistance. They had done it twice earlier, but apparently these two women either do not like men, or just wanted to be hard-nosed and be indifferent about my wife’s safety. As soon as possible, we will no longer be a part of OnStar, and will never recommend them to anyone because of such an inane policy and response when we needed some help.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I called OnStar to see if I could activate my Internet Hotspot in my vehicle after not having it for 6 mos. When I was told yes but that there having technical difficulties and wouldn't have it for 9 days I told them I did not want it. I was told ok, they would not activate it. 8 days later a charge showed up on my credit card for the services I told them not to activate. When I called them they said it wasn't their problem and I would have to call the AT&T billing. I told them I thought they should take care of it since I had told them not to install it. After a few more calls they still did not resolve my issue and now I have to dispute it with my credit card company. I will never try to do business with OnStar again.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Terrible customer service and terrible partnership with AT&T. Their “unlimited” data plan IS limited to 22G. At 22 they then slow your service so much, it’s unusable but they still make sure to charge full price! The limit/slow for data was not disclosed. Unlimited means truly not limited. Not limited then cut off. Customer service reads from a script, no floor managers available to speak with and no credits/refunds for the poor service or complete lack of service. Fraud!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Do not be in a hurry to get service from OnStar. I thought they were great and they are with directions so I just found out I am paying $40 a month for a high priced GPS because that is all they are good at doing. My husband called and was told in 20 minutes they would get him. That was at 4:00 pm. We are now at 8:04 and they are saying it will be 9:30 pm before they can tow him. Very unacceptable!!! Don't waste your money for a high priced GPS System. To boot this is Chevy's fault anyway because they just fixed my 2018. Yes I said 2018 EQUINOX 3 days ago and now it doesn't run. Isn't that called INSULT TO INJURY.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We purchased a new 2018 Sierra Truck that came with the 'free' 3 month subscription to OnStar. It is NOT free!!! We were charged immediately for the data on the service! When I called to cancel, they told me they canceled the service but then charged me again the very next month! I called my credit card company (Chase) & asked why this went through again since we had BLOCKED ONSTAR when they charged us before!?! Chase said OnStar had billed differently/changed it slightly so it would go through the block!!! How DISHONEST is that!!! STAY AWAY from this 'free' service!!!

I have called back 6 times now!!! Their explanation was that if you get the "free" subscription you still have to pay for data. It is all billed as "OnStar" to the consumer, AT&T is the data service apparently (I was told that by an OnStar representative today when they tried to back peddle as to WHY they changed the way they filed AFTER I CANCELED. (They automatically signed me up for 6 MONTH trial AFTER I had called them to cancel on August 27th!) Now here we are in September & they have billed me AGAIN but DIFFERENTLY so it would go through my block on my credit card. (The charge still says OnStar!!! DISHONEST scam!!!)

I have demanded that they REMOVE my CARD # from their system! Hopefully no more charges! But I STILL have to call back to get them to refund the 3 MONTHS of NOT FREE OnStar charges that she said today she "can't remove past charges! Lie! She just removed August!! That wasn't current! I gave up! I'm not a yeller or complainer typically. So now I have to CALL BACK AGAIN on Monday!!! UUURRRGGGHHH!!! I think I will talk to Chase instead to make sure the charges are gone for good from the "free trial". CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Okay so I bought my brand new 2108 last year. Comes with 3 months free OnStar and WiFi, so I had my credit card information changed with them once. They pulled money to pay for the WiFi out my new account and turned around and sent my refund to a dead account that had been cancelled. Now they say that can't give me back my refund as it was sent somewhere else... so thanks OnStar for stealing my $100.00. Do not do business with them and cancel as you'll never get your refund back! If I could give them no??? I would! Garbage, even that WiFi hotspot in the car kept going out! Sad company! Worthless to me!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I feel so embarrassed but I hope y'all get a good laugh outta this. My new car is equipped with OnStar which has all the bells and whistles when it comes to safety and security. Well, I was trying to adjust my rearview mirror, while I was driving so I could see a little bit better out of it and my fat thumb hit the lovely SOS button and I couldn’t hit the cancel button fast enough to be able to cancel call. So, I sat there contemplating to myself for a couple of minutes if the thing even works and what I should do. I then panicked and tried calling OnStar on my phone to tell them it was an accident and I had just pulled up to Starbucks. As I was stepping out of my car, there was 3 cop cars behind me and I stood there thinking, "Oh heck, what did you do."

One of the officers proceeded towards me asking me a few questions and if I was alright. I was very embarrassed at this point due to a few people standing around, watching. I kept apologizing to the officers, repeating "I'm alright. It was an accident." I do, however, have to give props to C.P.D. for responding so quickly and being very respectful towards me. I know if I was in a situation where I needed to push the SOS, that help would be on the way. Moral of my story: Your SOS button on your rear view mirror does work.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I had OnStar on two vehicles, my daughter's car and my new truck. My daughter wrecked her car, so I request (via online chat) to de-activate and remove the 2012 Cruze. The CS verified via chat the 2012 Chevy Cruze to be de-activate and then in 24 hrs I could remove it from my mobile app and website account. This request was made on a Friday. I waited until the following Monday to go back online and remove it. When I did I found the CS de-activated my brand new 2017 GMC Canyon instead. And the Cruze was still active.

So I had to contact OnStar from my truck and re-activate service on my 2017 GMC. While on the phone with them I explained the error and they assured me it would be corrected, told me to check back in 24 hr to remove the 2012 Cruze from my website account. But guess what? It's still active and I can't remove it. I don't even own the car anymore. I don't want my account information left attached to a car that I no longer have possession of. You only had 1 job OnStar!!! De-activate the 2012 Chevy Cruze!!! That was it! I am afraid if I call back, the will screw something else up.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

The system could be good. I am not sure. The sales representative who was speaking to me was beyond rude. He told me I am Indian. I politely told him no I am not. He repeatedly said, "You are Indian", I kept telling him politely I am not, I am from East Africa. He kept insisting that I am Indian and I am lying. I asked what does my ethnicity (even if I am Indian) matter for this purchase? Tell me I am lying and I will NEVER even think of buying your system. This guy is either racist towards Indians or other ethnicities - not sure the rationale. But OnStar - you lost me and my friends!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

OnStar, You guys really suck at what you're paid to do. Yesterday around 3pm, I started my car, and I hear thru my radio OnStar telling me “I'm gonna lose service at the end of the month, and that I need to renew” all done with a recording. But, yesterday at about 6:45 am I was in a hard accident. I rear ended another car. Although my airbags didn’t deploy, another screw up by GM, but I was jolted real good. GUESS WHAT DIDN’T HAPPEN??? You did not respond in any way to see if I was hurt or needed Assistance in any way. Not one word. Frank, do you need a band-aid??? Nothing. But, at 3 pm you knew how to beg me to renew. Guess what, I’m not.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I called for directions to a place and was told there were a lot of people using the service and I would have to wait for an operator to get back to me. I didn't mind that, but when I did get the operator she told me the directions were on the way to my vehicle, but they never made it to my vehicle. That happened three different times that same day. I was extremely disappointed in the service and will not renew my subscription when my contract is up.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I just got an email saying that I need to renew my account. The GMC and OnStar app both indicate that my login is no longer valid... they replaced my username with my email address. Finally get that all corrected and now it wants me to re-enter ALL my information, including the VIN on my truck. Okay, I understand you changing usernames, but why delete all the information on an active account? I enter the VIN and it comes up with my vehicle, and then the system reports that it can't add that vehicle because it is registered to someone else. Won't let me get past that point. Call customer service... the person speaks HORRIBLE ENGLISH and tells me that I will have to keep calling back until their systems are running correctly... Actually, I don't. Your services are overpriced and for the benefit I get, you can keep it... and I'll keep my money.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Called OnStar today to cancel my service as of the free end of my trial period. First off you can't understand a single word their team says and then had to listen to their sales pitch twice! Finally got frustrated and told the customer support idiot to cancel my service! This idiot then said I can even cancel your free service if you want and I said do it. He then hung up on me. OnStar has some of the worst customer service people I have ever dealt with. Stay AWAY!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I just found out that the myChevrolet mobile app key fob is no longer free with purchase of a new vehicle. All of my new Chevrolets I have owned have received the key fob app free. They just now started charging for it. I am very disappointed with this service being removed.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Think you're covered with OnStar roadside assistance all the time? I just discovered, after a tire blow out, you are out of luck if you need OnStar Roadside Assistance on a turnpike or a toll road. Did they ever tell me that – NO! Not in all the years we have had OnStar. We have the basic OnStar package which include roadside assistance. We had a sudden tire blowout on the Pa. turnpike (476) on 8/11/18 and called OnStar. The OnStar operator, who seemed to have a language and/or hearing problem finally, after repeated tries, got all the info. She promised we would be receiving a text confirming help had been dispatched. After several minutes, no text.

We then called 911 and they said call *11. We did and within minutes All Points Towing showed up and in no time had our spare on (which is stowed under our truck). It took longer to complete the paperwork. We are retired so for us this was a scary situation being on the side of the road with trucks and cars zipping past at 70+ mph only feet away. Cost was $62.40.

On 8-13-18 I called OnStar to complain about this dismal experience. BTW, we never received a text as promised even after 48 hours. After going through three OnStar reps, the final one being a supervisor, she tells me OnStar does NOT provide roadside assistance on restricted roads (i.e. toll roads and turnpikes). I said, "Why weren’t we told that on the initial call and why isn’t that stated clearly in the OnStar literature." Clearly, this reeks of duplicity, false advertising and creating a false sense of security.

She told me if I wanted OnStar to cover a disablement then turnpike road assistance would have to tow us, at our own expense, to an area off the turnpike that was not “restricted”. You got to be kidding! Pay someone out of pocket just to get to an area where OnStar assistance is available. Ridiculous! OnStar won’t even reimburse the $62.40 charge (although I am challenging this).

I wonder what would happen if you had OnStar’s Automatic Crash Response and had an noninjurious accident on a restricted road and OnStar called home automatically. What would be their response? "GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROBLEM!" Clearly, I have come to find out OnStar is a joke. Tip: If you add Towing and Labor Costs to your auto insurance policy they will cover up to a $50 reimbursement for each disablement. Costs a little over a buck a month. I added it today to my Allstate policy.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Do not assume you're safe with ONSTAR. I waited 2.5hr for a tow truck yesterday only to find they sent it to the wrong city. The dispatcher was not listening well and did not obviously take down the right information. Then, they organized another tow truck which didn't arrive until another 2.5hrs later. They continually told me it would be there in 20, or 25min only to extend the arrival time each time I called to check. Their information on file for me was wrong so I had to give them all of the details of my VIN number, name, phone, address, etc. each time I called. The whole ordeal was a study in inefficiency and incompetence. Some dispatchers were very nice. All I can say to them is that I hope they find another more rewarding company to work for. I will be cancelling my membership as soon as I can.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I was charged two $36.00 charges and disputed them and it was removed. I went onto my credit card statement and discovered on June 13, OnStar charged my card $143.26. This is a new credit card. I am having to dispute that as well. I don't know what is going on with them. I do not have an account.

Original review: July 26, 2018

After receiving an offer in the mail to re-up my ONSTAR, which I had never had, I called ONSTAR. I was given an offer, for free, and they added an extra 2 or 3 months (forget which), but I knew it was coming due in August on the 23rd. I called them on July 25th to tell them to cancel the account on August 21, and they said I would have to call back in. I asked them to cancel it today instead. I also had purchased extra minutes, being unsure how much time I might use. I was informed today that those minutes had not been used at all. I requested a refund but was told, "We do not do refunds." WHAT!!??

I see similar complaints, except for false billing after cancellation on this site, so I will be watching my card info closely on August 23-25, and if I get a billing I will call my attorney and see if a class action lawsuit from any interested, might be possible. Their staff member was happy, friendly, and outgoing, in a valley girl kind of manner, BUT was not helpful at all. It is all about their profits and screw the buyer, in a nice manner, if they can. ON-STAR is OFF-BASE, and almost FRAUDULENT in behavior. Their advertising does not meet up with their service and the use of their product. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have a phone that I used in my 2011 Buick Lacrosse and when I traded it in I transferred all my info to my 2015 same kind of car. I have been paying this since 07/31/17 $27.94 per month. I decided not to continue service with them and to cancel. They told me that that was not my phone # that I gave them, duh I called it today and used it, my husband called our son at the lower end of town and talked to him and you tell me that it is not my number. I never could get the idiot to understand.

After talking to the second one he told me I had been hacked and that someone has used my credit card and email to have wireless phone service. Duh. Dude it is me that had this phone number. No one else. Never could get them to understand. My husband could no longer take it because his blood pressure was going up so I told him to forget it, that I would talk to credit card company and cancel it that way. Lord help. Never have had such stupid conversations in my life. Stick a fork in me. I am done. OnStar you are horrible.

Original review: July 20, 2018

So my dad mentioned that ONSTAR had been overbilling him for a vehicle he no longer owned, he called ONSTAR to make the correction. He advised me to check my billing with ONSTAR and when I did, I found out they were charging me for my navigation and safety features as agreed but on top of that, I was being charged an extra $79.10/month and it started on July 2017 until today July 20, 2018 (my fault for not checking but I only allow 2 companies to have a recurring charge on my VISA, ONSTAR is one of them). On July 29, 2017, I was looking to purchase a block of data that was 10GB or 1 year - but did not realize I started being charged $79.10/month for monthly data until today. I called ONSTAR immediately today and thought this would be just a misunderstanding and was certain they would fix this for a loyal customer (had an ONSTAR account since 2014 after switching to a GMC product).

The first person I talked to didn't seem to understand, so I asked if I could escalate it. A supervisor comes on after a long wait and immediately tells me, it was my fault, I set up the data plan on-line (FTR - I cannot remember for sure but I usually call when setting up something like this) and that there would be no refund except for the current month (a total of $949.20 for service I did not know I had, I asked if there are records of me using it because I never did and was told, techs said it was sporadic, I explained that my Chevy App said I had 0 data available). I tried to make a point that I had purchased a block of 10GB in the past and if he would just look at what I had done in the past, he would see that I was being truthful.

I also told the supervisor - on July 6, 2018, I called ONSTAR to purchase 20GB of data and explained to the ONSTAR agent that I was going into the United States and would like be able to use the Truck Data (the supervisor told me the data wouldn't work in the States, I said well I just got back and the data did work). The part I don't understand is, why wouldn't the agent catch on and maybe ask why I needed an additional 20GB of data on top of the 10GB I never use.

I told the supervisor, I was very upset and that this may cause me to switch out of the GM product altogether, he said nothing, I asked if there could be some type of a compromise, he said 'no'. So then I asked if this is how they think customer service should be and no response.

I said 'we might as well just get off the phone since he cannot seem to offer me anything at all', I even suggested letting me have service for a few months for no additional charge or at least give me some of the refund, he said 'yes we might as well hang up' and then hung up on me. I am at a loss for words. The Supervisor could not give me their name, even though he has access to my VISA card information... I did manage to get a reference number. **GMC - I wonder if this is the type of customer service you would approve of, I still can't believe I was hung up on. Anybody out there have any suggestions on what to do next or is it a write off?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I was happy with OnStar with my old vehicle. When I got in a car crash the OnStar connection was very helpful. l had to buy a new vehicle, Ford Focus 2014 on July 2d. I had OnStar installed by a company, I paid through my car dealership $495 to get it done. I called OnStar for enrollment on the 2nd, on the 6th and on the 9th, they all told me my vehicle was not recognized, it didn't work, I was not eligible... I was mad, got it uninstalled and refunded.

Today 10 days later, they call me to offer me to enroll!!! I am seriously mad this time, it took them almost 3 weeks to let me know and it's too late. I asked them to send me an email with all the reasons in writing why they changed their minds, I spent half an hour on the phone with 3 people that admitted I had been misinformed (Not only me but the shop, the car dealership as well) and I still haven't received their email explaining why all of a sudden it is working. I don't want to pay $500 again with no guarantee it's gonna work, I also want that in this email. We are talking about car safety, this is not professional and we pay $21 a month to get that... I recognize that in my old vehicle it was good so they should be more professional, staff doesn't seem to understand what you say, ask you to repeat etc.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have had the trial of OnStar and the free trial of data. The data plan is a waste. My phone was the only one connected to truck and still wouldn't stay connected nor able to send a photo message. I called OnStar. First time took over three minutes for them to answer. Second time I needed directions to a place I've never been. It sent me to wrong place... very bad part of town. New place for me to drive and put me in an unsafe part of town. Third time I tried OnStar hung up on me prior to anyone answering. I called back and again waited minutes for them to answer so instead used my phone to get directions.

Thought it was safer to use OnStar navigation but not going to wait ten minutes for directions that may or may not be accurate. I tried to chat on the websites about a question for the Wi-Fi but after five minutes plus of waiting for someone to chat with me I had it last straw. After my trial period I won't be paying for the service... none of the plans. Glad there was a trial before I paid a dime.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I found out I had been charged for OnStar after the free trial. They said I needed a credit card and I told them if this is free why do you need my card and they assured me they just need it to keep on file. I told them I am not interested in their product but I will take the free trial service but after that do not charge me. I asked, "Will you send me a letter or email after trial is up?" and they said yes. I was never sent an email or notified. When I called OnStar they told me they sent email but they had my email wrong. Supervisor was very rude. I had been charged for about 8 months. The supervisor hung up on me as I asked if he could refund my money. Now I am out almost $400 and I’m a single mother.

They don’t care and they are very rude. I will never recommend OnStar to my family and friends and will let a family who does have the service know what has happened to me as they took my money and will urge them to cancel service right away. Now I am out of money and was treated horribly by supervisor with OnStar.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased a new GMC Acadia in June of 2018 and the OnStar Services haven't worked since the day I bought it. This company is rude and completely out of touch with the consumer. I have never been treated so badly by a company in all of my life. I have spoken to at least ten different customer service representatives and none of them were able to help me, do not use this company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

After receiving an email from OnStar/AT&T that my card on file needed to be updated and they were also discontinuing my service until I updated my info I called OnStar. The call really didn't help because they said they didn't see it and to call back tomorrow. I then decided to call my bank and I was told I had 4 $20 pending charges from OnStar all made in the same hour. (I received the email the same hour the charges were made.) I called OnStar today and they say there is nothing indicating the charges, I also mentioned the email I got and he acted like I made it up. I demanded a case # and got one. So I have to send by fax the charges on my bank statement and the email. I called my bank and they are going to handle it which means I also had to cancel my debit card.

Original review: May 12, 2018

When we bought our Chevrolet Cruze at the Young Automotive dealership in Layton Utah they had us set up an account with OnStar as part of a free trial. Shame on me for providing my credit card information. I was promised it would not be charged and that I could cancel my account. I cancelled my account over the phone 2 months ago. I noticed that last month my credit card was charged. I made sure to keep better track of my cancellation number this time. Hopefully I do not have any continued issues. They have poor customer service and I would recommend not using their services.

Original review: May 10, 2018

We leased a vehicle through GM in October 2017. When I signed up with OnStar I recall them telling me that it comes with a trial period and they would notify me when my trial period was over and that I would be able to renew it at that time if I wanted to. I never received a clear notification and found out today that it was renewed without my knowledge. I noticed a deduction from my bank account.

I called them to ask about the charge and the customer service rep (Leah) that I spoke to was incredibly rude to me and insisted that when I started the lease I asked for them to automatically renew OnStar when my trial period expired. I did not ask for that. We have leased several vehicles and have not done that with any of them as we have never utilized OnStar after the trial period. I asked if my charge could be reversed. I was put on a very long hold, she came back and said they would mail me a check as a one time courtesy and that I should never expect another refund in the future and that it was my fault for giving them a credit card number when I bought the vehicle. Based on other complaints I have seen it looks like they scam a lot of people like this.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My use of "scam" to describe OnStar's business practices was carefully considered and reinforced by the reviews of others here who have had similar experiences. Specifically, when the OnStar trial period ended on our 2017 Buick LaCrosse, we contacted OnStar to terminate their service for which we little use. End of the story...or so we thought.

However, a few weeks ago we discovered we had been billed every month since July 2017 - almost 9. Although we closely check our credit card statements, we didn't catch these billings because OnStar was somehow billing our Kroger credit card. We never use this card or give out its number for anything other than Kroger purchases. The fact OnStar got access to this credit card is highly suspicious. Moreover, during this 9-month period there was no service to our LaCrosse, clearly indicating OnStar wasn't operative. When we contacted OnStar about this sham tactic and requested a full refund of the $270 for the 9 months we shouldn't have paid, they only offered to refund their charges for 3 months. From what I've read OnStar is struggling to stay viable. But this bogus strategy shouldn't be part of their way forward business model.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Just opened my bank account today to find that I had two charges from OnStar that I never agreed to. I call them and they said they were experiencing technical problems and double billed many customers. They also told me that I was sent multiple emails to cancel my OnStar guidance system that I’ve never used. When I told them the only notices I got were for my vehicle maintenance and if I didn’t want it just don’t respond. They said that the OnStar notices were in those emails with the maintenance extension. So I fell misinformed and taken by there sneaky practices. So they used my automatic withdrawals for my in car WiFi and started billing me for the guidance system.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have been using and paying for OnStar for 7 years. I have never needed it but when I did, with my purse and keys locked in my SUV, in the middle of nowhere, the app on my phone didn't work and how many people carry a card in their pocket with OnStar info. The diagnostic report always tells me my tires are low which they are not. I had many issues last year with my vehicle. OnStar should have picked up and didn't. Just not happy, canceling.

OnStar expert review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Best for: OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information