Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I initially had a free OnStar trial when I bought my car in August 2017. I was more than ok with transitioning that into the least expensive OnStar plan afterwards. However, over the past few years of lots of travel and no issues, I realized I was basically throwing money down the drain when my insurance offered better roadside assistance built into the cost of my insurance. The only benefit to having OnStar would be if I rolled off the edge of a mountain and into a ravine in the middle of the night, which is unlikely.

I called on September 17, 2020 to cancel my subscription. I had to dodge the advisor's attempt to give me an extreme discount (which I'm sure would have returned to normal pricing after a few months anyway). Much to my dismay, I was charged again on October 6, 2020. While reviewing my credit card statement today (Oct 10), I noticed the charged and immediately called. The advisor gave me some bogus thing about how my billing cycle ends on the 14th of each month so this charge "should have been prorated" or something like that until my subscription ended this Wednesday. Only everyone knows you are usually charged a few days in advance of the actual billing cycle.

The reality is that my account was NOT cancelled like I asked. The advisor did give me a refund, which based on many horror stories I've seen on the web this evening, is rare. I asked that my credit card info be removed from my account since my subscription IS cancelled. I see the refund posted to my OnStar account, but it still shows an active subscription and a next billing date of November 5, 2020. I highly anticipate that my card WILL be charged again and that these scum bags will continue to try stealing my money for at least several months, if not longer, and will probably start secretly charging me again in the distant future after my guard is let down. NEVER do business with OnStar. You can get similar services from reputable, honest, and ethical organizations for half the cost. They are leeches.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I sign up for service while an hour away from home and it showed the vehicle parked at my house when we got home so I figured it was working. Then my wife said she nearly locked her keys in the car so I checked to see where I unlock it from the app. Nothing! No access. In fact the app showed the car parked at my house still. I tried updating the app, nope. I waited a couple days to see what would happen, nothing. I wake up and decide to check it again and it was still useless. I called OnStar on my cell and go through the prompts and I get left on hold for over five minutes. So I walk to the car and press the button, amazingly they are there. I tell them to end my trial service and they put me on hold two more times.

When they come back on the line the last time they inform me that they will send me a letter confirming it was canceled. A letter? Email me so I have immediate proof! Honestly for a service that uses satellite uplink and is totally tech driven they are extremely slow and provide nothing helpful to their customers. I own a successful small business and I work nights for a large nationwide automotive parts store and I intend to warn people to avoid this company. When you sell services you must actually provide them.

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Yesterday, the 10th of August 2020, I left my house in Frederick, MD and started my trip towards Washington D.C. for my grandmother's funeral. I left just after noon, about an hour and half to get an hour away (needed to check in by 1:30 pm). Being the Pandemic and the wait list to get a burial in Arlington, my grandmother was finally going to be laid to rest a year to the day after she died. Being the Cemetery is closed to the public, you must have an appointment and can only show up during your appointed time. I pushed the button and asked Onstar to route me to Arlington National Cemetery.

2 hours later, 4 calls later, and being routed to a military base, a city bus depot, the guy just hanging up on me and not getting me directions, I googled the directions on my phone and finally made it to the cemetery, a full half an hour after the service. I had to beg my way in with tears streaming down my face to be able to say goodbye to the woman who raised me after my mother passed away on my eighth birthday. And I called them, still waiting for a call back and Explanation as to why they could not route me to probably the most famous cemetery in the country.

Original review: May 22, 2020

OnStar is no different from Sirius XM. We give you free trials but you better not forget to call us!!! I just spent 179.97 from December to May and I have never pushed a button on my mirror. But I didn't call to cancel my FREE service. Nice! Lucky there are no major events going on right now, you know, like a Pandemic. I just need to do a better job at making sure I manage YOUR FREE services. I would say I will do better for you next time, but there will not be one.

Original review: April 27, 2020

OnStar Welcome Call in 2015 was Clear, NO background noise and the Agent was very Courteous and understandable. OnStar Welcome Call in 2020 was A Disaster, Rude Agent, Very Noisy and Signal Broken Up.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have been a customer with OnStar for several years. I have never had to use them until recently my vehicle was stolen. I immediately contacted the police and OnStar. Onstar is a scam! I called them numerous times, never once could get any answers. After 48 hours my case was terminated, but once again I was never notified. Not only could they not locate my car, Their customer service is pathetic. Onstar is the worse experience when I had faith in their company to provide quality service. I got nothing in return, I just spent a fortune paying monthly notes for NOTHING!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Bought a 2017 GMC Canyon truck. I purchased their data plan for the Truck thru AT&T.. Really never used the service because I was leasing the truck so I was keeping the miles down. Starting in Sept 2019 I decided to start trying to use this feature, thinking I might be able to stop my XM Sirius service that I have. There were days it would work. Other days it would give me a wifi connection. But there was no internet connected, which means my cell phone or apps that require internet do not work. I contacted On-star. They had me try a bunch of stuff. No luck. Moved it up the chain of technical support. Got back to me a few days later that updates were processed. I would try.. Worked for a couple of days then stopped. Did this many times with on-star. Eventually they wanted me to take the truck to dealer. Which I did many times. All the parts were replaced on separate visits. Still does not work. I have canceled the data plan with on-star.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

One of the consistently unethical companies that I have ever dealt with. Continuous billing tricks and unauthorized charges. I just completed my third call to cancel the same account and I have no doubt that I will receive another unauthorized charge on my credit card. This time I time I am filing a complaint.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Don’t give the dealer your credit card information. Insert will bill you 35.99 a month. The dealer will set up the account without your Permission. With some pin number you didn’t choose in with an email address that may or may not be yours. So when you call to cancel it it’s difficult to even get to your account that you didn’t sign up for because none of the information they have was provided by you. They will only refund three months worth of billing. They claim to be reputable but all it is is GM Chevy working with their aunt Star to get as much money out of you as possible. We will no longer be purchasing any Chevy or GM vehicles. I will never recommend them to anybody else.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

OnStar is a very difficult service to cancel, I sold my Chevy 3 weeks ago, called and cancelled the service, they still keep doing nonsensical collection calls, try not to sign up with them without a ironclad already set cancellation date.

OnStar author review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information