Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.43/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

421 OnStar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2019

GM/OnStar you are going to make a lot of owners very unhappy. Just paid $60K plus for a new 2018 GMC last month. Traded a 2016 Chevy that I used only the basic remote access features in for three years for free. Like another poster mentioned, I feel OnStar has been a convenience selling feature of GM vehicles since inception. Now not so much. Not only can you track/know my location and who knows what else anytime you want, but you now want to charge me for the simplest basic features that I've grown accustom too and was a big part of my decision to buy another GM vehicle. Not anymore.

I locked my keys in my new truck at work today and guess what, couldn't open it remotely and had to call the wife to bring the extra key so I could access. I'm lucky to be in a position where I didn't have to finance a mortgage on my purchase. But I know there are many that borrow amounts requiring $1,000 a month plus payments. Do you really feel that individuals forking over this kind of money every month to own a GM vehicle are going to want to give you another $15 more a month for basic convenience feature connectivity? On top of this, you want my bank information so you can automatically withdraw the payment directly from my account every month. No thank you GM. Extremely disappointed. Last GM I will own. You've put yourself, your vehicles and your customer service on the same if not a lower level of your competitors and of which I am not opposed to owning.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I kept getting e-mails one after the other get to Chevy dealer for oil change. Low pressure etc. This even though I never signed up for their service. I declined when I bought the truck new. When I would get a e-mail about tire pressure being low on left rear wheel. Guess what, the wheels had been rotated and this wheel was on left front. These people are idiots. GM can't even make software that will pickup the location of a pressure sensor location. Somebody is going to killed over inflating a tire because they send them the wrong location of the wheel. Needs to be a class action suit filed against them for harrasment reporting false information. They are sending false information and it is a safety hazard. Oh, that's right it's all about marketing. It's about supporting GM dealerships with false information.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Hello. So purchased a vehicle. Got OnStar free trial. My husband and I loved it. So when the free trial was up I called to see how much it was and I thought it was pretty expensive especially because we will have 2 vehicles on it. They wouldn’t give us a better deal and they were so rude. Love the OnStar, but as far as the customer service it’s horrible. Even talked to a manager and he was rude.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I signed up for OnStar through my dealership and was told I would get free service for two years on. OnStar started charging me after year one. I tried to get it resolved with their customer service, I got transferred over to six different departments, got hung up on three times and never got refunded for the charges that they billed me for services I never requested. Stay away, worst service ever. Stay away. Use your cell phone. It’s free.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have had OnStar in 8 cars over 12 years. I currently have multiple vehicles with their service. I am not sure why, because my iPhone provides a better WiFi, and more accurate turn by turn directions. However, last Friday was the last straw. I was in a serious rear-end collision where I was rear-ended at a stop light. OnStar did not even contact me with their BS Accident Dynamic.

I contacted them today, a week later, and after I waded through their offshore Mexican support personnel, I asked for an American rep. This moron claimed that OnStar only functions in an accident where there is danger of serious bodily injury. This is totally false. From their television commercial, where the deer walked out in front of the woman’s SUV, and she had minor damage, and there is no indication of level of accident in any description of their service. They are a total scam, and I have cancelled their service in all of my current vehicles. Total garbage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: April 29, 2019

I bought a brand new 2018 Silverado this past November and had the included 3-month free trial, including the myChevrolet mobile app with key fob. 2 months ago the app was not working and displayed an error message which was coincidentally after my free trial had expired. After attempting to re-login and several phone calls with rude customer service associates and supervisors, I found out that the myChevrolet mobile app key fob is no longer a free included benefit as of May 2018 when GM decided to charge a subscription fee for $11.99/month. Both my previous 2017 Silverado and 2013 Tahoe had the free basic service even with the cancellation of OnStar. This a bunch of b.s. and extortion from GM! Like someone else had previously commented on here, a large number of other automakers provide a phone app with key fob for FREE. So much for customer/brand loyalty! I will never think again of ever patronizing OnStar...

Original review: April 26, 2019

I have had GM OnStar for over 5 years and it worked very well until GM allowed Google to control the access by limiting the type of cell phone users can use. The update stated users could go to the Google store and download the new version. When trying to login to the Google store you get a message the cell phone is not supported. Google only supports new Android cell phones and will not allow older cell phones to access the site. Well this essentially LOCKS out any user without the latest Android phone. Google own Android OS and for GM to allow such control is very sad. They "claim" only new Android OS will work. BULL, Google is trying to sell phones and GM is going to lose users unless they wake up.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I will never use OnStar for any services. I have never had to use it before and the first time I used the service it was the worst service I ever received. I got a flat and when I called I told the person I didn't think my 2019 Q50 Sport had a spare. She said she would check and came back saying I had a spare and would dispatch out to have someone come put my spare on. When the person arrived he verified there was no spare because I have run flats. He was extremely angry because he wasn't getting paid for coming out. OnStar called me once they heard from him and dispatched a tow truck. I got a text saying another 60 minutes.

Tow truck never showed. I called the tow company and they said I wasn't on the route and was hung up on. I called again and was told I was on the route and told me I never called 3 times. I had OnStar dispatch another tow company that was gonna be over another hour. I ended up calling my own tow which was there in 15 minutes. This occurred at 11 in the afternoon. I made it home at 7pm because I couldn't get a run flat in and had to buy 4 conventional tires to get homes. If OnStar did their job properly my car would have been towed to the dealership and I would of only had to buy one tire not 4.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Over eight years I tried to deal with their customer service to improve their navigation to no avail. I was ignored, lied to, and finally with the last customer service rep I dealt with... just not listened to. I’m not renewing my service.

Original review: April 16, 2019

CAUTION: OnStar will ONLY cancel service with the primary driver. FACTS I (husband and additional dirver was the one who set up the account.) I was able to give the rep the acct number, the PIN associated with the account, I am listed as a driver on the vehicle, AND the OnStar subscription bills TO MY credit card. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE to OnStar... NEXT STOP for me is the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Surprised by a sudden winter storm in Wyoming causing I-80 to be shut down 40 miles ahead of us. Approaching a slow moving semi-truck in the right lane and just before moving to the left to pass, the semi quickly changed lanes to avoid hitting another slower moving semi in front of him. With both lanes blocked, on black ice and unable to slow fast enough to avoid hitting the slower of the two rigs, went off the right side of the road to avoid a collision and became stuck in the high snow in the ditch.

All three of our cell phones with different providers were unable to keep a signal. Luckily I had OnStar in my GMC Yukon XL Denali. Seeing the damage to the right bumper from hitting the high snow and assuming the worst since the vehicle was stuck, I thought we would have to be towed to the nearest dealer. OnStar was able to pinpoint our exact location and arrange for a tow truck to assist who arrived in only 15 minutes (Impressive!!!). During my brief conversation with OnStar's GMC Roadside Assist, I paid for the 40 mile tow thinking we would need it.

After being pulled out, we realized the damage was absolutely minimal so we continued on our way. I immediately notified GMC Roadside Assist the tow was unnecessary and asked for a refund of the mileage charge. GMC Roadside Assist agreed and said they would take care of it. 16 days, 4 follow-up calls, a supervisor and a department manager later, I'm being told the department who handles refunds must be backed up. I'm really disappointed with the service I spoke so highly about to friends and family. It's unfortunate that all the accolades were quickly squandered by their inability to follow through.

Original review: March 17, 2019

My car is locked with the keys inside...which is not supposed to be possible... But it happened. So I called OnStar because their big selling point is they can electronically unlock. Guess what? THEIR NUMBER IS NO LONGER IN SERVICE. IN OTHER WORDS I CANNOT CONTACT THEM AT ALL. Well they don't say that when they sell it to you. I sure as heck hope Triple A can get in. I would have a second set of keys but they cost $400 bucks. I hate electronic schemes and this is looking like a sucker punch I bought when I got my new car. I love my new Sonic. But this OnStar service is at present a load of cr...p!

Original review: March 17, 2019

Since late fall of 2018 I have been experiencing a complete interruption of my OnStar app (now my Chevrolet app). Error 216. Long story short green light means module is fine. I have installed my app in multiple devices. I have taken it to the dealership as per OnStar's request...it's been there a month. Somehow a Chevy Spark has been added to my account which I have never owned. They say they will call back which I have to call them except the one time the advanced technology team called me and said for me to reinstall my app!!! Are you kidding me?! I am really getting sick of this crap. I am an OnStar subscription holder that paid a year in advance!!! I bought this car brand new and never had a problem till the app change. I am pretty sure it's a problem with my account but no one can figure it out.

Original review: March 16, 2019

One time was in Canada. Was in a rush, and asked advisor for directions to a theater in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada. Gave them the name of the Point of Interest as well as the address. They sent me to the town about 10 miles away. Of course not knowing the area I didn't realize it until I got there. Like talking to a dummy, advisor just wasn't getting the problem. You'd think they should be able to locate a point of interest, this being their "bread and butter". Second time in Detroit, in a rush to get somewhere. Kept calling for directions, was unable to get through as apparently the system has problems connecting if you go under a lot of overpasses. After about 6 tries, gave up, found my way myself.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Horrible customer service. I have a new GMC/Chevy terrain for 4 months now and they can’t get it off demo mode. They said give them 3 days, I call on the 4th day they said they have 3 to 5 days. This has been going on since December, I have been a GMC owner for over 25 years. I am ready to trade both of my GMCs in and go with a company that does not lie.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I bought a vehicle with OnStar. I received an email saying it was disabled and to call OnStar if I did not authorize this. I called within 20 minutes and they noted they could not turn it back on without me being in the car. The car was taken by the other party of the relationship. I told them I was the primary and title holder. They told me there was nothing they could do. When asked if I could hop into the parked vehicle next to me and disable their OnStar and take the car with no fear of OnStar location services being restated I was told “that would be on your conscience”.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I signed up for a 3 month free trial for the OnStar services. I called them several weeks before the automatic renewal charge of $34.99. I’m self employed and winter time is our toughest time of year. So they charged me anyways and I was left negative in my account. I call them and told them I called them several weeks ago to cancel and now all of a sudden they have “no record” of me calling! What happens to “this call is monitored for quality assurance”? Now they won’t expedite my funds and I’ll get charged a $32.50 overdraft fee. They left me screwed because now I can’t even go get myself a little bit of groceries to get by till my next job. Thanks OnStar.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was charged after my free trial service even though I did not want the service at that time. So I was charged for services that were not rendered. They offered no comparable compromise regarding refund. I decided to give it a go again, I asked for a decrease in service, the agent did not do so, therefore I was charged full price. When I called and asked for a partial refund they wanted to give me the run around. I did not like this ethic so I cancelled. They would not refund the money, they want to carry out the rest of the month. They are a rip and do not care about the customers, just the money!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The trial period ended up costing me an activation fee and unlimited data plan fees through AT&T (Remind you, still trial period). Called OnStar, two different representative told me that OnStar was NOT going to pay!!! Had called one week earlier and cancelled my trial period so it had nothing to do with an actual contract. I would not have considered a contract as I never use the service in any of my vehicles. Mind you it took them 1 1/2 weeks to get the service working correctly to begin with (they had it confused with my Son's account). Lol. They are a joke.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was conned into signing up for a free "trial" at the time I purchased the vehicle. Six months later, I don't recall the details of that brief phone conversation, but I would never sign up for an automatic renewal unless they promise that I will be notified before they begin charging. I discovered that they had been charging my account $37 a month. I called to cancel and they gave me a hard time, warning me of all the problems that I might have if I would cancel. They finally canceled, but no refund.

So I called back after I successfully got it canceled and demanded that they provide me with a copy of the agreement regarding the trial period and the automatic charge. They said there was no agreement like that, but that I had agreed to it. ?? So I said if there is no agreement, then I want a refund. After checking with the supervisor, she said she could give me a partial refund. I said, "No, since there is no agreements, I want the refund in full, or else provide me with a copy of the agreement." She spoke with her supervisor again, and said she could give me two free months of the service, which I didn't want and don't use. Again, I said no, a refund in full or a copy of the agreement. Again she spoke to the supervisor and this time agreed to give me a refund in full. Don't get angry, don't curse at them. Just politely persist in your demand, they will eventually give in. Bottom line though, this is a shady operation to say the least!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Bought our truck with all the bells and whistles, OnStar, WiFi, navigation system, the works!! We went down to Dallas for a wedding and our truck was stolen. We called the police and have a video recording of the people stealing the car. Everything would have been great if OnStar would have ACTUALLY WORKED!!! They couldn’t locate it. They even sent us an email that the “theft alarm” had been set off and yet they STILL COULDNT LOCATE OUR TRUCK and literally gave up. What a JOKE.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I've paid for OnStar since I purchased my car in 2011. On Dec. 6, 2018, I needed the service for the first and only time. I was involved in an early morning 13-car pileup accident. I pushed the OnStar button. Nothing happened. No response. I pushed the button several times. Nothing happened. After several minutes I received a phone call from OnStar on my cell phone. I knew my car was seriously damaged and I asked the OnStar Advisor about a tow truck. I was advised by OnStar that I needed to wait for the police to complete their assessment of the accident before requesting a tow truck. This call is logged on my cell phone.

After the police arrived and completed their report, I pushed the OnStar button again to request a tow truck. Again, no response. More pushing of the button... I finally called OnStar on my cell phone. While discussing the situation with the OnStar Advisor, tow trucks arranged by the Highway Patrol arrived and those of us engaged in the accident were urged to "clear the highway". This phone call with OnStar is also logged on my cell phone.

I later attempted to get OnStar to cover the cost of towing my car. OnStar refused because I had "never notified OnStar of the accident". The truth is I, repeatedly, pushed the OnStar button to no avail and the phone calls are logged on my cell phone. In summary, in an emergency the button doesn't work and OnStar does not stand behind their service promises. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Had flat tire. Used Blue Button to request help. Told they would arrange to have a service vehicle dispatched. Wait 45 minutes to learn "rescue" vehicle had broken down and they would have to put in a second request. Another wait of 1hr45 minutes and a PopALock vehicle shows up and finally takes care of problem. Question: Why can't GM Road Service can't make sure they contract with crews that will maintain their own vehicles in shape so they don't "break down" on way to help? It's absurd. Over two hours at 8 pm in the middle of Tampa, Florida, not the Everglades. Two hours! Ridiculous. And I'm canceling this joke of a service. ATT and Geico offer much better service for a much lower monthly fee.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I got this as a service with my new truck purchase. I canceled the service due to the cost after paying for a few months. I wrote a letter after a few months of harassing phone calls saying my account was past due. I have a hard copy return letter from OnStar verifying the cancellation. They are now stalking me in my truck! Calling when they know I'm in it and it is really awful, I don't answer. I don't want to crash because I'm arguing with them while I'm driving! They just keep calling me. I feel like this should be illegal. If I could give negative stars I would! Don't activate this service and DON'T give them a credit card #. I don't know how they are still operating, they are the definition of a SHADY BUSINESS!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I was involved in a car accident. I was hit in the back passenger side and rear bumper of my vehicle. My car was totaled - ball airbags deployed. I later reached out to OnStar for a report of exactly when and where my vehicle was hit since my insurance was trying to charge both of us with being at fault of the accident. To my amazement I was sent a report showing the longitude and latitude of where my vehicle was located which I couldn’t bring up in Google and was useless and also a report which had inaccurate information that stated airbags were deployed because of front-end damage. There was absolutely no front end damage to my vehicle.

I sent OnStar pictures of my vehicle and also the collision report which explains in detail the damage of my vehicle and cost of repair for insurance purposes. I was not given any explanation as to why the report was incorrect nor was I able to talk to a competent person that could offer a solution. After many frustrating phone calls and speaking to executive idiots that couldn’t understand what to do I’ve resorted to posing this online so people were aware of what horrible customer service they offer. They’ll take your premium every month & send you inaccurate information but offer absolutely no assistance when you call in for support or assistance with correctly a false report given.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I purchased a new vehicle that came with all the new gadgets (radio, navigation, OnStar, etc). They all had free trial memberships but apparently you have to cancel it or your credit card is charged $40 a month. I hadn’t used the service or noticed the charge on my card. When I called they wouldn’t reverse the charges then when I wanted to cancel they said I couldn’t because it would be a safety issue if I were in an accident. I then told them I will just cancel the paying part of it and since they were so concerned with my safety they could provide the service for free they then canceled it. What a douchey way to make a buck.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

For months I have had the unlimited data plan for which I was paying $20 per month. Every month like clockwork OnStar would bill my VISA credit card. Suddenly, on December 9th I am no longer able to stream music and receive a message that my data plan has expired. I hit the blue OnStar button and the advisor tells me that VISA did not approve the December first payment. Now my credit card was not compromised in any way and I had no difficulty with any other transactions. In fact, I have the VISA with Bank of America who is great about texting me if there are ever any questions about the legitimacy of any charges to my account. The advisor tells me that if I want to sign up for the unlimited data plan again the new cost is $25 per month. I naturally balked at that and the advisor supposedly checked with a supervisor who approved the old $20 fee. As far as I was concerned I was going to tell them to stuff it had they not reinstated my old fee.

To me it appears that this is a ruse to force subscribers into a higher monthly cost. It also gives OnStar the opportunity to give you their sales pitch for a bunch of services we do not need. Justice was served because while I was hearing the sales pitch I drove through an area with bad signal strength and I was disconnected from OnStar. Beware of what appears to be a scam!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Let me start out by saying I have been a GM loyal customer since I was 17. Now I am 64. I have been paying for ONSTAR service faithfully in my GM Vehicles since 2006. But EVERY year they FORCE you to buy more airtime minutes on top of the yearly ONSTAR service charges or you LOSE the minutes you already PAID for! I was up to 600 minutes that I had paid for over the years (and BTW never used). And because I finally stopped being strong armed into buying more minutes they said I was forfeiting the minutes I ALREADY PAID FOR. What kind of contract gives any corporation the right to force you to buy something, then tell you if you don't use it you lose it? I don't understand how a class action suit has not been started yet. GM should be ashamed of itself. I would love to hear if there are any other people who have experienced the same ONSTAR ripoff scam.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

If you live in Delaware and purchase a contract for OnStar beware because they will charge you tax. All the reps we have complained to do not have an answer on how to correct this problem. And, they will not connect you with a manager. We will think twice before we ever sign up for this service again. Poor customer service. Please note, we did try 3 long phone calls to get this issue resolved.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Wasted a lot of money and our time when they charged our card for unapproved charges. They refused to refund it all and sent an email basically say, "Oh well." After several years with OnStar we will be canceling.

OnStar expert review by Lauren Fix

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.

• GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.

• Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.

• On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.

• Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.

• Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.

• Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.

• Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.

• Best for: OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

OnStar Company Information