OnStar

Compare Roadside Assistance Services

Research top Roadside Assistance Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been with OnStar since 2000. The problems have been minor up to now. I have 5 cars under subscription. I recently purchased a new Cadillac. GM offers a 6-month service contract free. Talking to my good friends at OnStar, they got my vin # mixed up with a GMC Terrane vin #. They told me I could have the transmitter replaced in the Cadillac & then they can accept me as a customer. Mind you they say there is nothing wrong with my OnStar transmitter. I will be leaving OnStar as soon as I have used up the minutes left on my other cars!!!

I have an OnStar equipped car, however I have never subscribed to OnStar. Suddenly, after almost 2 years of never using, contacting or having any association with OnStar, they started coming on while I was driving. Every time I put the car into drive and park, OnStar would connect and ask me if I wanted to activate my account. One time I honked the horn and got connected to an associate. I could not disconnect the calls myself and when it connected to my car, it shut off the clock, radio and heat.

Now, I live in upstate New York, so the last time this happened, I was driving my son to Boy Scouts and it was 30 degrees outside. I put the car in drive and it asked me to activate my account. Sometimes I could say no, answer a couple other questions and it would disconnect, other times, it connected me to an associate. This time, I got an associate. I asked her to disconnect and hang up. She started in about deactivating my account! I said I have no account, you don't even know who I am, just hang up!! I refused to give my name. She would not disconnect.

I told her she needed to disconnect, OnStar has shut off my heat and it is 30 degrees and she still wouldn't. She did nothing I asked her, which was only to hang up and was on the whole time until I got to Boy Scouts, about 10 minutes. I was beyond mad. After about 5 minutes of no help from her, I couldn't even understand her anymore!! Once where I was going, I told her I am at my destination and am going inside and that she better disconnect and not drain my battery. Since then, less than 24 hours from now, I have not heard from them.

I drive my kids around and they had to listen to that, and my oldest just got his license and wants to drive constantly, and I had to instruct him on how to respond to OnStar so he could drive. I found it very distracting while driving and very upsetting. I will never have OnStar now. I will do everything I can to not even buy an OnStar equipped car ever again. They have access to YOUR car whenever they want even when you don't have them. A horrible company. Horrible customer service.

Purchased new 2016 Suburban in Albany, NY late May, 2016. OnStar free for 9 months. First 3 months, free wifi (3Gigs). I agree to purchase 1Gig extra for $15 per month. No one ever pointed out to me that every time I got in the truck my smartphone was "using" data. My wifi would last very limited amounts of time without me or family even using it. Finally, I get billed the monthly $15 fee on 3/30/17. The same day at 4:39pm I get a text alert: I have exceeded over 80% data usage. I never used the phone in the truck that day. I called OnStar. They gave me the runaround. Technical people gave me different answers on questions I asked regarding data used, etc.

Finally spoke to Supervisor (John in Canada), who gave me even more different answers to same questions. Asked for my money to be refunded. Refused with no explanation. "We won't refund for used data." I explained I never 'used' the data... my phone ate the data without me ever touching my phone. Didn't want to hear that no one ever explained to me how it worked. Different note: January 2017, February 2017, March 2017... I was charged $39.84 per month for OnStar service. I never agreed to this. They tell me it automatically bills on monthly cycle once free period ends. No warning, no prior notice, they just start billing. Never again OnStar.

I just bought a new 2017 truck with OnStar. Truck came with it. I didn't order it. Had to pay $175. Truck cost $42,650. The "basic plan" is for "5 years plus 3 month service with automatic crash response, navigation & more. Includes 4G LTE WI-FI(R) Hotspot w/ limited data trial & more (subject to terms see onstar.com)". Well, I bought it December 5th and within a month and a half, start getting online requests for money to keep the service. Unsolicited "Spam" in other words. I never gave OnStar any address, much less my email. I responded with: "This is why I loathe giving out my email address to anyone. You want to communicate with me? Do it by US Mail." Sure enough, I got within days a packet FedEx-ed to me. In it, all it basically said was: "To renew, you must go online".

Uh-oh! That's when I did some research and found this ConsumerAffairs site. I read about onstar ripping people off using their credit card information. So, I wrote them online and asked: "I need to renew my subscription. Do you need my credit card number or do you already have it?" Someone responded with something like: "I can't answer that question. You must go to the billing site." Man, they sure want my money! I responded with only: "I'll make a note of it." I know one thing, I ain't "re-upping" my onstar! I just hope they don't lock me in my vehicle when they find out!

Involved in a car accident. Used my OnStar. Asked operator to call police and ambulance. Had an injured passenger and my truck was filling up with smoke. OnStar refused to call for help until I answered a series of about 25 questions. Told OnStar several times I needed an ambulance and truck was filling with smoke but each time they refused to call for help until I answered questions. I tried to disconnect the line so I could call for help myself but OnStar refused to clear the line. This went on for 17 min. OnStar put both my injured passenger and myself in great danger. I will be calling an attorney.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

On 8/19/15 I purchased my vehicle from a local Chevy dealer in GA and set up OnStar and paid a monthly fee of $20.00-$25.00 per month for Stolen Vehicle Assistance to alert you when your vehicle is being tampered with and if stolen OnStar can find the location and remotely turn the vehicle off among other things. On December 5, 2016 I had my 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD stolen from a parking lot in East Point, GA. I contacted OnStar at 3:09pm to report my vehicle stolen and while on the phone with OnStar, 911 was dispatched to the location of the parking lot and the phone disconnected, I called OnStar again at 3:19pm.

Shortly after completing the incident report with the East Point Police Department, I contacted OnStar at 3:33pm to get the location of the vehicle and to use the security service feature that is paid monthly which at that time OnStar informed me that the vehicle location was not available and would contact me once a location is found. I went in to the building to see if I could retrieve camera footage of my truck being stolen from the parking lot which showed that the theft occurred at 2:00pm that day. After reviewing video footage I contacted OnStar again at 4:29pm to get a status update of the vehicle and was again told that the vehicle location was not available and contacted OnStar several more times that day to follow up on the location.

On Thursday, December 8th I submitted an e-mail correspondence to OnStar regarding the security features outlined in our plan and no communication was returned with the dissatisfaction of the service provided. On Friday, December 9th I, again, contacted OnStar by e-mail and received a response “We will contact you shortly”. On Saturday, December 10th I sent a Facebook message requesting answers to my complaints and once again, no communication was provided. On Sunday, December 11th I received a response from OnStar at 11:13am stating,

“Thank you for taking the time to e-mail OnStar regarding information on your stolen 2015 Chevrolet Silverado. I understand how important it is for you to know why a signal was not sent to you when your vehicle was stolen. I have added your email to the case that was opened for this issue on December 7, 2016. For immediate assistance, please contact our Technical Team, Monday to Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. EST, Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST, by pressing the OnStar button or by calling the phone number below. Refer to your case #**. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply to this message, call us at 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or press your blue OnStar button. Marsha, OnStar Information Specialist.”

Again on Sunday, December 11th at 2:26pm, I received another response from OnStar responding to my Facebook message stating "Thank you, Ashley. I see that you currently have the Basic Plan until 8-18-2020. This is our free service that includes limited access through the mobile app, but does not include certain features such as Stolen Vehicle Assistance. I understand the inconvenience of this situation, but we recommend continuing to work with the police on a resolution. If you have any additional questions on your current plan, please don't hesitate to let us know. Corey, OnStar Customer Care."

"My account shows we in fact did have stolen vehicle assistance - check your records. I can send you all my paperwork I printed off the other day that in fact shows WE do have this feature- Ashley." "My sincerest apologies, Ashley. Our records indicate that the Security Plan was canceled in August, but I do see that a new plan started that same month. In order to better assist you, I am going to forward your information to our Specialty Team. Please expect a call from them in the coming days after they have a chance to review your account. If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let me know. Corey, OnStar Customer Care"

Through Facebook social media posting of the video we actually recovered our own vehicle on Sunday, December 11, 2016 with people reporting sighting of the truck. We were very surprised it wasn't at a chop shop and assumed we were never going to see it again, however, received a call from an anonymous person that seen the Facebook post that went viral and my husband went to the location of the truck to confirm it was in fact his. Once he confirmed it he contacted the local authorities which did nothing and found out you can't actually arrest someone unless they are physically driving it even though the truck was actually sitting in someone's driveway. The police said without hesitation "Take it home", and left leaving my husband by himself, sitting in front of the thief home for 45 minutes waiting for someone to come help him drive the other vehicle to our home.

Once he got the truck home he thoroughly inspected it, and since this was a custom truck that has a custom paint job you can't just repair it at your local paint shop. Unfortunately without it voiding the warranties on the truck we had to take it to the original GM authorized dealer that made the upgrades which is located in South Carolina which is 5 hours away from our house. We of course have auto insurance, however, our auto policy does not cover stolen personal property that was in the truck, only covers up to 30 days of rental coverage with a $20.00 a day cap. We had a claims adjuster that came out and only provided us with a small amount of money to have the truck fixed as they don't recognize any custom upgrades on the vehicle and is not included even though we purchased this truck brand new from GM. The upgrades were completed by a GM authorized dealer.

On Monday, December 12th we received a phone call from Carrie in the corporate office claiming that a theft notification was sent on Monday, December 12th at 3:30 which was immediately disputed as there was no notification sent in an email advising of a theft notification. She requested we make sure our email was correct which it was and stated she does not know why and offered 8 months free service and we declined, and she immediately offered 12 months free service which again we declined. On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 a letter was mailed and emailed regarding this matter to the corporate office and no response was communicated back and mailed a final letter of demand on December 23, 2016.

I finally heard from a corporate representative Christine on Monday, January 2nd and informed me that our complaint is now in the right hands and would have the matter resolved. Through several email conversations she requested that they have a 3rd Party Investigate this matter and would be able to go out to review the vehicle for damages.

At this point no repair work has been completed on the truck 1 month after being recovered, and today, January 13, 2017 I receive a phone call from Christine stating with a now 4th excuse "Yes, OnStar failed to activate your Vehicle Theft Protection which resulted in the truck being stolen." She goes on to state that the 3rd party investigator they hired to review the claim showed it to be in our favor. Offered to pay an equivalent to 2 truck payments in good faith. I of course disagreed as we have lost a substantial amount of money from this to include 2 vehicle payments, rental vehicle coverage, difference in insurance not paying for damages, personal property loss, OnStar payments, loss of wages and travel totaling upwards $13,000.00 and potentially additional costs we may incur.

In conclusion the only way to resolve this is to file a lawsuit, but my dilemma is we live in Atlanta, GA and GM OnStar is based in Detroit, MI and the amount I am seeking is well beyond the small claim limits of Michigan which is $5000 and therefore have to physically resolve the matter in Michigan and I just can’t seem to find an attorney, and I certainly can’t meet with one as it too far and simply exhausting which I am sure OnStar was banking on that.

Bought the wife 2016 Trax and we received 3 months free Onstar. It was so useless we didn't even use it at all for 2 months. I told the wife, "well it's free so let's use it and see what it's all about." Except for the remote start and lock feature on the app for your phone, totally a waste of money and time. The navigation is terrible, much better on your phone and when I called Onstar to see what was offered I got a woman with a lot of attitude when I mentioned I thought we were getting Onstar for 5 years for free.

I had misread that we get a revised version of Onstar which turned out to be only the functions that would have remotely interested me like the remote start/lock previously mentioned. Regardless, when I stated "I thought I read that we get Onstar for free for 5 years?" I got laughed at then a stereotypical ** woman response back at me saying and I quote, "You think we are gonna give you free accident reporting and navigation for 5 years? I don't think so!"

I simply replied, "I do not need either of those anyway so it's all good." So to recap, I have no idea how there still is an Onstar or any need for it with today's technology or why Chevrolet hasn't updated the service to keep it more relevant and price effective. Maybe if you're an older person who has no knowledge of everyday smart phone apps and so on, but for the majority of people it's a non-starter.

OnStar should pay ME to utilize their services!!! Truth be told, I'm on a "free trial" with the recent purchase of my Buick. Most recently, I drove from my home in Ct. to Newport RI... a 90 min. trip at most, and one I have taken hundreds of times. Unfortunately I listened to the advice of my traveling companion & did not take my usual exit, but kept going "to try an easier route"!!! 20 miles later my companion admitted he had become confused and I sure didn't know the way to Newport from our current location. I pulled off the nearest exit & called OnStar... my first experience!! I was filled with anticipation & great hopes!! A route was promptly "fed" to us & we set out, anxious to get to our destination.

FOUR HOURS LATER we arrived in Newport, Rhode Island... exhausted and quite agitated. We actually lost the entire 1st day in Newport. I've reluctantly utilized OnStar 4 more times since that adventure. Only once did they get it right. That's a 75% failure rate in my book!!! Do yourself a favor... Save lots of time, money & aggravation & buy a map!!!

I was lucky enough to have my dealer give me 24 months of OnStar service at no charge when I purchased my new Buick. I did not renew because I find the service pretty useless. No one needs their navigation service in 2016 (for $24.95?!) and even the lowest priced package is $14.95. The ONLY part of OnStar I use is the app to remote start my car. Three months ago they told me they would give me three more months free so I foolishly accepted. Well, my key fob went dead a few weeks ago (not the battery, dead) and there was no way to operate my vehicle without it functioning (very smart GM). I was away from home so I called OnStar for the first time. They knew NOTHING. I was transferred THREE times over 45 minutes as they tried to look up my problem to no avail.

They offered roadside assistance and had no response when I said "What will roadside assistance do? Can they start my car? Towing my vehicle an hour to the dealer won't resolve anything as it's the key fob malfunctioning, not the car." SILENCE. Then I was put on hold for another ten minutes and by a miracle the fob started working and my car started! I hung up but OnStar showed how useless they are. (I had the fob replaced by the dealer the next day myself.) Now the free 90 days is up and I can't cancel. There is no online method and calling leaves you on hold. I will keep trying and prepare to dispute any credit card charges. The service is worth perhaps $4.95 a month for what I get out of it.

I called Onstar on Monday Dec 12 and asked what other options for my 2007 Chevy Avalanche is there. Will the Onstar APP work for lockout. They stated no and the only advantage for Onstar is crash assistance and if you are locked out they will call a tow truck for you. (Well heck I can do that myself). They also stated if you are out of gas will assist, and hands free. They stated only vehicles from 2011 will the app that will work so basically having an older vehicle not worth the $199.00. I also asked so what happens if the vehicle is stolen will law enforcement get involved. They stated only if you have the service. WOW. As the vehicle gets older technology changes but give me a break. I asked for a discount. It was only offer $20.00. Really $20.00 discount.

I ordered 20gb plan. Right in the middle of working in the car the data shuts down and I LOST 40 MINUTES WORTH OF WORK. I to see about adding minutes. I told the rep "would you like to come to my car and redo the 40 minutes of work I lost?" She laughed at me. I talked to the supervisor and she tried to sell me way more data than I need.

Purchased 4G of data - on a trip - my daughter used 2.4 to download a movie then turned her WiFi off. Checked the OnStar app and had 2.6 left. 2 days later on the trip back the app stated that there was 4 left. I knew this was not right and called OnStar. They said on their end no data was left - they got my $20.00 and dissatisfaction. Their data plan is a scam.

DO NOT PURCHASE DATA PLANS!!! OnStar RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS ON DATA PLANS. In June wife and I took a trip, so we purchased the 5G plan for $50. We "ran" out of data 2 days later. Called OnStar to complain and they verified we used 5G in a COUPLE days. We found that very hard to believe, but like a fool I stayed with the monthly 5G plan, to renew monthly. Was told we would only be charged if we used the data. Well, even with turning off wifi on our phones and iPads, we still "used" 5G of data in a few days while on the trip. Called to discuss this with them, and they showed we had used the data. We finished our trip a week later. Then while at home and with the truck sitting in the driveway for 4 months, essentially not being used except to change parking spots, we were still charged the $50 monthly fee.

Then, in November, we used the truck twice, once for 3 hours and the other time for 5 hours. We noticed that we had used 2.6GB in those 8 hours!! Called OnStar. Wanted a refund for the charges and to cancel all service. We had been charged $200 for service not received. Got the runaround with 5 different people, and hung up on once. They would not refund and insisted I had been using data. STAY AWAY FROM ONSTAR. Attorney Generals need to look into OnStar.

We own a 2012 Tahoe which has OnStar. Earlier in the year of 2016, the service went out with no warning. We made numerous calls to OnStar to get it resolved. The best they could do was suggest that we take the vehicle to the car dealer and have the module replaced for $500 (minimum) but since they didn't know what was wrong with the device, they couldn't guarantee it would work. A couple of months ago, we bought a Traverse and in November of 2016, the same problem happened to its OnStar. We now have two vehicles with two malfunctioning OnStar devices that no one knows how to fix. We give OnStar a minus zero.

Navigation, the worst! Billing takes out money out of your account at will, even when you paid a year in advance. Plan on spending many hours of your life on the phone on hold trying to get matters resolved. I've heard "I'm sorry" so much I'm sick of it and cancelled it. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

Yesterday I found that my car had the keys locked inside. When I called OnStar they said that they could NOT unlock the car. When I asked why they said that the OnStar button had not been pressed in the last five days. This sounds more than crazy to me. Even though I talk to a supervisor they indicated they WOULD not unlock the car. What this means is that if you don't call for some service every five days you will not get one of the basic desires of the service.

It appears that I need to lock the keys in my car at least once a week to be able to have them open it up remotely. When I suggested that I don't need this service if they can't perform this basic service they said "go ahead. We will KEEP your money but we will GLADLY cancel your service." Does this sound right ANYBODY out there?

Your company continue to use my credit card without my permission not having official approval. I'm in the process of seeking legal representation to solve this problem. I have been dealing with this situation on two or three occasions with the same problem. I consider this stealing without my permission. I have had several conversations with your customer service department to contact me before trying to debit my personal credit card.

I was contacted by OnStar two weeks ago to renew my OnStar acct. They told me it was 299.00 for the year. Then I ask if there was any discount for GM employee. They said yes it would be 229 for the year, when I called again to confirm that price they said it was 227.00 for GM employee. Ok so I called today to pay for my OnStar and they said they can't do that price. That not good business. I am very disappointed with GM.

We got OnStar with the purchase of our 2016 Colorado. The first year was fine-no problem. The second year the credit card they had was compromise, so I updated the information online. When they went to charge the monthly fee they were using the wrong card. How did I know, I kept getting Visa alerts. I called them and got some girl in India saying yes they had the correct card #, I said ok. But they kept using the wrong card #. So again called, they said yes had the right card number, then I hear someone coaching her to try to sell me AT&T services!!! I cut her off and hung up.

Well, meanwhile, the updated card was then compromised (someone trying to charge $1200 to Walmart), so I cut that card off and got another visa card. Something told me not to give it to them, just let the service lapse. Well I am glad I did, after reading all the stuff about them. Now they are trying to use both cancel visa card to get payment, Visa alerts. NO MORE ONSTAR - I HAVE ROAD SERVICE WITH AAA.

I recently bought a car with OnStar. Ever since I had the trial version turned on my cell phone rings every 10 minutes. Nothing shows up on the phone screen. No phone number. No name of caller. After I work with OnStar to correct the problem, it stops for a few hours, then starts back up again. We've changed numbers to no avail. They cannot figure out what to do. The dealership is involved as well. I have half a mind to cancel the trial version. It's so irritating!!!

I paid for OnStar for years. Never used anything except the remote app which is sketchy anyway. Diagnostics never work - ever. They final offer a basic plan and they say the system does not offer it on my vehicle. All the features are available on my car, it is just they decide not to offer me the basic plan. Feels like a lot of bait and switch. Do not consider OnStar as a service to sway your new car buying decision.

I purchased my vehicle on August 2015, OnStar was included with a free 6 month trial. I did activated and provided a credit card number. Not a week passed that I started to get telemarketing call on the car phone. Apparently, somehow, telemarketers got a hold of the car phone number, they did offer to change the number, what for? I am pretty sure they sell the phone list. I was so aggravated and call to cancel the subscription because of that and the fact that I do not use satellite radio, I use Pandora, I do not use GPS, I use Waze app, and in case of emergency I will call 911 and I have Roadside assistance service with my insurance carrier. HOWEVER, six month after their start charging my credit card for the OnStar subscription, I really didn't notice at first because I use the card a lot until a month came that I stop using the card and I realized they were charging me for a service I canceled 10 months ago.

Needless to say, they refunded only 3 of the 6 payments they charged, not until I spend 2 hours on the phone talking to 4 different people and they were very mean and rude about it. I told them that if I didn't want Onstar for free, what make them think I want to pay for it. They said I canceled the free trial subscription not the actual subscription to be bill 6 months later. My advice, if you want to try their service, do not give your credit card to activate it, get a prepaid card and use it for that purpose, that way if you cancel they won't charge your account. Trust me, it will be hard to get your money back.

I'm very disappointed with my ONStar services. For the first time since I've had my car I actually had an emergency. I didn't panic because I knew OnStar was active in the car so help would be there shortly. My car was crank and the keys were in the ignition but the doors locked leaving me locked outside the vehicle while it was running.

I call OnStar and they tried 3 times to remotely unlock my car to no avail. I then downloaded the app to my phone to try and this was unsuccessful as well. I then called and ask could Onstar remotely cut off the car. I was told no. WHICH IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT, because I was told if my car was stolen Onstar could shut the car down and call the police.

I then said, "Could roadside assistance be called to assist me?" This guy then tells me he can get to me between 8-48 minutes... HORRIBLE... JUST HORRIBLE. At this point I'd been standing in the heat for an HOUR. I was desperate by now. My car is running and my keys were locked inside. I MADE ONE CALL TO THE POLICE, whom showed up in 5 minutes, unlocked my doors and had be on the way. I'd wasted an hour and 30 minutes with ONSTAR because this is supposed to be some GREAT SERVICE FOR EMERGENCIES. This was a horrible experience. Onstar didn't serve its purpose and is a complete waste of time. I'm so disappointed.

Again another nightmare. If I could rate them lower they would be in Hell. Nothing but problems with company since I started with both cars over 8 years ago. They don't give correct accounting of money paid to them and always want you to pay for services you already paid for. Don't pay by credit card. They will always fight you. Get an confirmation number from them and your order. Watch out for them shorting minutes on your account or failing to give you minutes you just paid for. Customer service doesn't care about your complaints. They want to cancel you with your shortages. Don't let them. Speak to a supervisor.

Absolute worst company I have ever dealt with in the past 68 years. No honesty among them. They will steal the gold out of your teeth. Overcharges with them is the rule of the day. Not every supervisor will help you correct their problems. Forget about not overpaying for their services. Juris Doctor in Los Angeles, CA. My cars are currently covered by this business and I am looking for alternate service.

Locked out, dogs in hot car. Very quick to answer. Thank you OnStar.

I had OnStar for 8 years on 3 cars. The 1st time I needed something I was put on hold for 20 minutes, when they came back I was told there was no tow truck available. Took 3 months to get them to cancel and stop charging me. I purchased a new car for my daughter 2 months ago and went ahead and signed up for the 3 free months. So far I have received at least 2 emails a day and 12 calls in 14 days from them telling me to sign up before trial period is over. I have asked them not to call me and also unsubscribed to email at least 5 times and it doesn't stop. The worst customer service I have ever dealt with in my life. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

These people have charged me GOD only knows for years because they refused to take my credit card off file. The Onstar service was in my Father's name but under MY credit account. This is the most ridiculous BS I've ever witnessed in my entire life. Being unable to stop a company from charging you against your will! For another persons service!!!

Signed up for turn by turn directions to use on a 2 week trip to the east coast. Horrible directions in metropolitan area. In Chicago, the instructions tried to get me off the tollway. I was familiar with the area so I recognized the error before I left the tollway. New York city was a disaster the instructions lead me to the Holland tunnel and I did not want to be in Manhattan. I contacted OnStar and asked to a route to Connecticut from the west. They routed onto I94 which had 2 construction zones that delayed our trip by 4 hours. They did not warn me of the traffic and construction delays. Halfway through the trip, I started using Google Maps which provided me alternate routes, traffic and construction updates, and a nice visual map of my route. When I called OnStar to cancel my service they admitted they are not able to offer real-time updates which is extremely important when traveling in unfamiliar cities.

I wanted to try the 3G intro offer to see what kind of usage I would have before settling on a plan. Looked like I was using 1G a month so right when I had completed my 3G plan I purchased 1G for $15. That was on 4/29 at about 3pm. I picked up my kids and we drove home. By the evening of 5/2 I had 10% of that 1G left and I had barely been in my car Fri, Sat, Sun. Mon. I called them Monday evening and their tech support stated that my wifi was probably still in use even when my car was off. They put in a ticket and I have not heard back from them. Frustrated, and totally without any wifi in my car, I just called them asking for a $15 refund. I don't need wifi in my car if it's going to be this annoying and it's not like it's particularly fast. Customer service refuses to refund me my $15 until (maybe) there is a conclusion of the ticket I put in on 5/2. They just lost a customer by being cheap ** idiots. Good one OnStar. Your customer service SUCKS!

We have had OnStar with multiple GM cars for a very long time. When I turned in my Cadillac Escalade (leased) in February I continued to get billed but finally got them to refund me and cancel it. An OnStar charge however, continued to show up in my credit card bill. When I called they were unable to locate the source of the charge. We finally traced it to a 2007 Suburban that was leased and returned in 2009! The charges were being done on an Amex that hasn't been active in over 5 years. Once the source of the charge was identified, they refused to 'cancel' the account unless my husband called even though we haven't had the car for 7 years (it was leased from and returned to a GM dealer) and it was billed to a credit card in my name.

He called and the person he spoke to claimed not to be able to find the account even with the reference number, his name and the credit card number. Interesting, no active account for that car listed under his name (so clearly something had been cancelled in their system), just not the charges. After four phone calls they finally agreed to cancel but will only refund 3 months. I calculate that I am owed over $2500. Another reviewer estimated that he is owed over $2000. I wonder how many millions of dollars in fraudulent charges Onstar is currently collecting. I am consulting an attorney who specializes in class action suits. I think this is a winner.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.
  • GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.
  • Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.
  • On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.
  • Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.
  • Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.
  • Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.
  • Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.
  • Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.
  • Best for OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Compare Roadside Assistance Services