OnStar

Compare Roadside Assistance Services

Research top Roadside Assistance Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought the wife 2016 Trax and we received 3 months free Onstar. It was so useless we didn't even use it at all for 2 months. I told the wife, "well it's free so let's use it and see what it's all about." Except for the remote start and lock feature on the app for your phone, totally a waste of money and time. The navigation is terrible, much better on your phone and when I called Onstar to see what was offered I got a woman with a lot of attitude when I mentioned I thought we were getting Onstar for 5 years for free.

I had misread that we get a revised version of Onstar which turned out to be only the functions that would have remotely interested me like the remote start/lock previously mentioned. Regardless, when I stated "I thought I read that we get Onstar for free for 5 years?" I got laughed at then a stereotypical ** woman response back at me saying and I quote, "You think we are gonna give you free accident reporting and navigation for 5 years? I don't think so!"

I simply replied, "I do not need either of those anyway so it's all good." So to recap, I have no idea how there still is an Onstar or any need for it with today's technology or why Chevrolet hasn't updated the service to keep it more relevant and price effective. Maybe if you're an older person who has no knowledge of everyday smart phone apps and so on, but for the majority of people it's a non-starter.

OnStar should pay ME to utilize their services!!! Truth be told, I'm on a "free trial" with the recent purchase of my Buick. Most recently, I drove from my home in Ct. to Newport RI... a 90 min. trip at most, and one I have taken hundreds of times. Unfortunately I listened to the advice of my traveling companion & did not take my usual exit, but kept going "to try an easier route"!!! 20 miles later my companion admitted he had become confused and I sure didn't know the way to Newport from our current location. I pulled off the nearest exit & called OnStar... my first experience!! I was filled with anticipation & great hopes!! A route was promptly "fed" to us & we set out, anxious to get to our destination.

FOUR HOURS LATER we arrived in Newport, Rhode Island... exhausted and quite agitated. We actually lost the entire 1st day in Newport. I've reluctantly utilized OnStar 4 more times since that adventure. Only once did they get it right. That's a 75% failure rate in my book!!! Do yourself a favor... Save lots of time, money & aggravation & buy a map!!!

I was lucky enough to have my dealer give me 24 months of OnStar service at no charge when I purchased my new Buick. I did not renew because I find the service pretty useless. No one needs their navigation service in 2016 (for $24.95?!) and even the lowest priced package is $14.95. The ONLY part of OnStar I use is the app to remote start my car. Three months ago they told me they would give me three more months free so I foolishly accepted. Well, my key fob went dead a few weeks ago (not the battery, dead) and there was no way to operate my vehicle without it functioning (very smart GM). I was away from home so I called OnStar for the first time. They knew NOTHING. I was transferred THREE times over 45 minutes as they tried to look up my problem to no avail.

They offered roadside assistance and had no response when I said "What will roadside assistance do? Can they start my car? Towing my vehicle an hour to the dealer won't resolve anything as it's the key fob malfunctioning, not the car." SILENCE. Then I was put on hold for another ten minutes and by a miracle the fob started working and my car started! I hung up but OnStar showed how useless they are. (I had the fob replaced by the dealer the next day myself.) Now the free 90 days is up and I can't cancel. There is no online method and calling leaves you on hold. I will keep trying and prepare to dispute any credit card charges. The service is worth perhaps $4.95 a month for what I get out of it.

I called Onstar on Monday Dec 12 and asked what other options for my 2007 Chevy Avalanche is there. Will the Onstar APP work for lockout. They stated no and the only advantage for Onstar is crash assistance and if you are locked out they will call a tow truck for you. (Well heck I can do that myself). They also stated if you are out of gas will assist, and hands free. They stated only vehicles from 2011 will the app that will work so basically having an older vehicle not worth the $199.00. I also asked so what happens if the vehicle is stolen will law enforcement get involved. They stated only if you have the service. WOW. As the vehicle gets older technology changes but give me a break. I asked for a discount. It was only offer $20.00. Really $20.00 discount.

I ordered 20gb plan. Right in the middle of working in the car the data shuts down and I LOST 40 MINUTES WORTH OF WORK. I to see about adding minutes. I told the rep "would you like to come to my car and redo the 40 minutes of work I lost?" She laughed at me. I talked to the supervisor and she tried to sell me way more data than I need.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Purchased 4G of data - on a trip - my daughter used 2.4 to download a movie then turned her WiFi off. Checked the OnStar app and had 2.6 left. 2 days later on the trip back the app stated that there was 4 left. I knew this was not right and called OnStar. They said on their end no data was left - they got my $20.00 and dissatisfaction. Their data plan is a scam.

DO NOT PURCHASE DATA PLANS!!! OnStar RIPS OFF CUSTOMERS ON DATA PLANS. In June wife and I took a trip, so we purchased the 5G plan for $50. We "ran" out of data 2 days later. Called OnStar to complain and they verified we used 5G in a COUPLE days. We found that very hard to believe, but like a fool I stayed with the monthly 5G plan, to renew monthly. Was told we would only be charged if we used the data. Well, even with turning off wifi on our phones and iPads, we still "used" 5G of data in a few days while on the trip. Called to discuss this with them, and they showed we had used the data. We finished our trip a week later. Then while at home and with the truck sitting in the driveway for 4 months, essentially not being used except to change parking spots, we were still charged the $50 monthly fee.

Then, in November, we used the truck twice, once for 3 hours and the other time for 5 hours. We noticed that we had used 2.6GB in those 8 hours!! Called OnStar. Wanted a refund for the charges and to cancel all service. We had been charged $200 for service not received. Got the runaround with 5 different people, and hung up on once. They would not refund and insisted I had been using data. STAY AWAY FROM ONSTAR. Attorney Generals need to look into OnStar.

We own a 2012 Tahoe which has OnStar. Earlier in the year of 2016, the service went out with no warning. We made numerous calls to OnStar to get it resolved. The best they could do was suggest that we take the vehicle to the car dealer and have the module replaced for $500 (minimum) but since they didn't know what was wrong with the device, they couldn't guarantee it would work. A couple of months ago, we bought a Traverse and in November of 2016, the same problem happened to its OnStar. We now have two vehicles with two malfunctioning OnStar devices that no one knows how to fix. We give OnStar a minus zero.

Navigation, the worst! Billing takes out money out of your account at will, even when you paid a year in advance. Plan on spending many hours of your life on the phone on hold trying to get matters resolved. I've heard "I'm sorry" so much I'm sick of it and cancelled it. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

Yesterday I found that my car had the keys locked inside. When I called OnStar they said that they could NOT unlock the car. When I asked why they said that the OnStar button had not been pressed in the last five days. This sounds more than crazy to me. Even though I talk to a supervisor they indicated they WOULD not unlock the car. What this means is that if you don't call for some service every five days you will not get one of the basic desires of the service.

It appears that I need to lock the keys in my car at least once a week to be able to have them open it up remotely. When I suggested that I don't need this service if they can't perform this basic service they said "go ahead. We will KEEP your money but we will GLADLY cancel your service." Does this sound right ANYBODY out there?

Your company continue to use my credit card without my permission not having official approval. I'm in the process of seeking legal representation to solve this problem. I have been dealing with this situation on two or three occasions with the same problem. I consider this stealing without my permission. I have had several conversations with your customer service department to contact me before trying to debit my personal credit card.

I was contacted by OnStar two weeks ago to renew my OnStar acct. They told me it was 299.00 for the year. Then I ask if there was any discount for GM employee. They said yes it would be 229 for the year, when I called again to confirm that price they said it was 227.00 for GM employee. Ok so I called today to pay for my OnStar and they said they can't do that price. That not good business. I am very disappointed with GM.

We got OnStar with the purchase of our 2016 Colorado. The first year was fine-no problem. The second year the credit card they had was compromise, so I updated the information online. When they went to charge the monthly fee they were using the wrong card. How did I know, I kept getting Visa alerts. I called them and got some girl in India saying yes they had the correct card #, I said ok. But they kept using the wrong card #. So again called, they said yes had the right card number, then I hear someone coaching her to try to sell me AT&T services!!! I cut her off and hung up.

Well, meanwhile, the updated card was then compromised (someone trying to charge $1200 to Walmart), so I cut that card off and got another visa card. Something told me not to give it to them, just let the service lapse. Well I am glad I did, after reading all the stuff about them. Now they are trying to use both cancel visa card to get payment, Visa alerts. NO MORE ONSTAR - I HAVE ROAD SERVICE WITH AAA.

I recently bought a car with OnStar. Ever since I had the trial version turned on my cell phone rings every 10 minutes. Nothing shows up on the phone screen. No phone number. No name of caller. After I work with OnStar to correct the problem, it stops for a few hours, then starts back up again. We've changed numbers to no avail. They cannot figure out what to do. The dealership is involved as well. I have half a mind to cancel the trial version. It's so irritating!!!

I paid for OnStar for years. Never used anything except the remote app which is sketchy anyway. Diagnostics never work - ever. They final offer a basic plan and they say the system does not offer it on my vehicle. All the features are available on my car, it is just they decide not to offer me the basic plan. Feels like a lot of bait and switch. Do not consider OnStar as a service to sway your new car buying decision.

I purchased my vehicle on August 2015, OnStar was included with a free 6 month trial. I did activated and provided a credit card number. Not a week passed that I started to get telemarketing call on the car phone. Apparently, somehow, telemarketers got a hold of the car phone number, they did offer to change the number, what for? I am pretty sure they sell the phone list. I was so aggravated and call to cancel the subscription because of that and the fact that I do not use satellite radio, I use Pandora, I do not use GPS, I use Waze app, and in case of emergency I will call 911 and I have Roadside assistance service with my insurance carrier. HOWEVER, six month after their start charging my credit card for the OnStar subscription, I really didn't notice at first because I use the card a lot until a month came that I stop using the card and I realized they were charging me for a service I canceled 10 months ago.

Needless to say, they refunded only 3 of the 6 payments they charged, not until I spend 2 hours on the phone talking to 4 different people and they were very mean and rude about it. I told them that if I didn't want Onstar for free, what make them think I want to pay for it. They said I canceled the free trial subscription not the actual subscription to be bill 6 months later. My advice, if you want to try their service, do not give your credit card to activate it, get a prepaid card and use it for that purpose, that way if you cancel they won't charge your account. Trust me, it will be hard to get your money back.

I'm very disappointed with my ONStar services. For the first time since I've had my car I actually had an emergency. I didn't panic because I knew OnStar was active in the car so help would be there shortly. My car was crank and the keys were in the ignition but the doors locked leaving me locked outside the vehicle while it was running.

I call OnStar and they tried 3 times to remotely unlock my car to no avail. I then downloaded the app to my phone to try and this was unsuccessful as well. I then called and ask could Onstar remotely cut off the car. I was told no. WHICH IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT, because I was told if my car was stolen Onstar could shut the car down and call the police.

I then said, "Could roadside assistance be called to assist me?" This guy then tells me he can get to me between 8-48 minutes... HORRIBLE... JUST HORRIBLE. At this point I'd been standing in the heat for an HOUR. I was desperate by now. My car is running and my keys were locked inside. I MADE ONE CALL TO THE POLICE, whom showed up in 5 minutes, unlocked my doors and had be on the way. I'd wasted an hour and 30 minutes with ONSTAR because this is supposed to be some GREAT SERVICE FOR EMERGENCIES. This was a horrible experience. Onstar didn't serve its purpose and is a complete waste of time. I'm so disappointed.

Again another nightmare. If I could rate them lower they would be in Hell. Nothing but problems with company since I started with both cars over 8 years ago. They don't give correct accounting of money paid to them and always want you to pay for services you already paid for. Don't pay by credit card. They will always fight you. Get an confirmation number from them and your order. Watch out for them shorting minutes on your account or failing to give you minutes you just paid for. Customer service doesn't care about your complaints. They want to cancel you with your shortages. Don't let them. Speak to a supervisor.

Absolute worst company I have ever dealt with in the past 68 years. No honesty among them. They will steal the gold out of your teeth. Overcharges with them is the rule of the day. Not every supervisor will help you correct their problems. Forget about not overpaying for their services. Juris Doctor in Los Angeles, CA. My cars are currently covered by this business and I am looking for alternate service.

Locked out, dogs in hot car. Very quick to answer. Thank you OnStar.

I had OnStar for 8 years on 3 cars. The 1st time I needed something I was put on hold for 20 minutes, when they came back I was told there was no tow truck available. Took 3 months to get them to cancel and stop charging me. I purchased a new car for my daughter 2 months ago and went ahead and signed up for the 3 free months. So far I have received at least 2 emails a day and 12 calls in 14 days from them telling me to sign up before trial period is over. I have asked them not to call me and also unsubscribed to email at least 5 times and it doesn't stop. The worst customer service I have ever dealt with in my life. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

These people have charged me GOD only knows for years because they refused to take my credit card off file. The Onstar service was in my Father's name but under MY credit account. This is the most ridiculous BS I've ever witnessed in my entire life. Being unable to stop a company from charging you against your will! For another persons service!!!

Signed up for turn by turn directions to use on a 2 week trip to the east coast. Horrible directions in metropolitan area. In Chicago, the instructions tried to get me off the tollway. I was familiar with the area so I recognized the error before I left the tollway. New York city was a disaster the instructions lead me to the Holland tunnel and I did not want to be in Manhattan. I contacted OnStar and asked to a route to Connecticut from the west. They routed onto I94 which had 2 construction zones that delayed our trip by 4 hours. They did not warn me of the traffic and construction delays. Halfway through the trip, I started using Google Maps which provided me alternate routes, traffic and construction updates, and a nice visual map of my route. When I called OnStar to cancel my service they admitted they are not able to offer real-time updates which is extremely important when traveling in unfamiliar cities.

I wanted to try the 3G intro offer to see what kind of usage I would have before settling on a plan. Looked like I was using 1G a month so right when I had completed my 3G plan I purchased 1G for $15. That was on 4/29 at about 3pm. I picked up my kids and we drove home. By the evening of 5/2 I had 10% of that 1G left and I had barely been in my car Fri, Sat, Sun. Mon. I called them Monday evening and their tech support stated that my wifi was probably still in use even when my car was off. They put in a ticket and I have not heard back from them. Frustrated, and totally without any wifi in my car, I just called them asking for a $15 refund. I don't need wifi in my car if it's going to be this annoying and it's not like it's particularly fast. Customer service refuses to refund me my $15 until (maybe) there is a conclusion of the ticket I put in on 5/2. They just lost a customer by being cheap ** idiots. Good one OnStar. Your customer service SUCKS!

We have had OnStar with multiple GM cars for a very long time. When I turned in my Cadillac Escalade (leased) in February I continued to get billed but finally got them to refund me and cancel it. An OnStar charge however, continued to show up in my credit card bill. When I called they were unable to locate the source of the charge. We finally traced it to a 2007 Suburban that was leased and returned in 2009! The charges were being done on an Amex that hasn't been active in over 5 years. Once the source of the charge was identified, they refused to 'cancel' the account unless my husband called even though we haven't had the car for 7 years (it was leased from and returned to a GM dealer) and it was billed to a credit card in my name.

He called and the person he spoke to claimed not to be able to find the account even with the reference number, his name and the credit card number. Interesting, no active account for that car listed under his name (so clearly something had been cancelled in their system), just not the charges. After four phone calls they finally agreed to cancel but will only refund 3 months. I calculate that I am owed over $2500. Another reviewer estimated that he is owed over $2000. I wonder how many millions of dollars in fraudulent charges Onstar is currently collecting. I am consulting an attorney who specializes in class action suits. I think this is a winner.

I was told that I could get their basic packet for $9.99 a month. It would just give me the diagnostics on the car for Maintenance. Nothing else. Well this was supposedly a promotional deal (which I was never told it was a promotion deal) and about 3 months ago my bill went up to $24.99 a month. You get no month statement saying how much they are going to withdrawal from your account. Maybe I should have been more on top of checking my monthly OnStar subscription but I thought $9.99 was what it would always be. If there was a change then I would get notified.

Also no notification that the supposed "promotional deal" was over. Oh and the funny thing is that I supposedly had all these additional services that I was getting under the promotion deal that I never knew about. Consumer beware. They don't care about you. They just want your money and will be shady to get it any way they can. They play on peoples fears to make you get their services. Don't fall for it!

Checked a credit card statement which I have automatic payments and noticed a $37.03 charge for OnStar service being billed monthly since 2011. I turned in the Cadillac in 2010! The new owner re-ordered the 2011 service but I'm being charged. I was told they would refund me $115 when actually they should credit me some $2,221.00. They have not resolved in my favor. Lawyer time...

We purchased a Chevy and so did our daughter. After the free period we subscribed to OnStar and our daughter chose not to. Months passed and we noticed our OnStar price had increased. I called OnStar and was told that was for the car my daughter bought. I became very angry and wanted to know how they could withdraw money from my account without my authorization for a car I don't own. They gave me the runaround and I cancelled all services. If the lawyer fee was not so high I would sue. Today we received a letter from OnStar with my wife's name on it and the model of my daughter's car saying your OnStar emergency services are not active. My wife did not co sign and her name is nowhere on this car. OnStar does what they can get away with. BEWARE!!!

Well my story is the same as everyone else's on this forum. They charged me for a two month subscription in my daughter's car without the service even being on for two months. The rude ass customer service woman stated "in of emergency OnStar still works." I WILL NEVER USE THESE GREEDY ** AGAIN! How can you bill for a service that does not have a contract and was turned off and you couldn't use! Just go with AAA! Who wants to pay over 300 dollars for something you may use once for a tow that might 80 dollars once in the lifetime of your vehicle! RUN! I'm by now we all know and more than likely it's too late for you if you're reading this too! Do yourself a favor. Go with AAA and watch your credit card statement and checking account! Oh don't forget they increase your premium without notifying you! You won't miss the extra 10 dollars a month! There should be a class action lawsuit against such tactics!

To everyone who thinks OnStar is a good company, please reconsider. Why? I have not been a customer now for a year. I just found out that they were still taking their payments out of my account. And when I talked to them about it, they could only go back as far as 2 months for a refund. Needless to say I closed the account and called my lawyer. This is a poor excuse of a company that claims to have your back. If you don't check your accounts, start. You may have them stealing from you, as they stole from me. Change your numbers people! It's worth it.

I tried and called on OnStar yesterday March 18 to stop my service. I don't need it anymore. It took a lot of talking to your customer service person to do that. It made me madder and madder. I'm retiring in May. I want to stop my service April 30 2016. It was a lot of work and questions to do this. It was not a nice experience for me. I had trouble with OnStar back to years ago when my husband had a stroke. The person on the service line ask me did I hit the read button? Really I was talking to on OnStar all the way to the hospital. Should they have done that. Really I was just getting madder and madder. Finally I said "Please cut my OnStar off and Thanks. Please send me a letter saying so." It should not have been this hard and he never said “Thanks for being a OnStar customer for 10 years and you can come back if anything changes.” Not great customer service. I'm still madder on Saturday morning.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

This roadside assistance service comes bundled with GM vehicles. However, consumers can also buy the service separately for their vehicles through OnStar's For My Vehicle (FMV) service.

• Flexible payment options: Consumers can buy annual plans, pay monthly or even pay upfront for several years at a time.
  • GPS tracking: OnStar FMV comes with a GPS-enabled tracker to help the company locate your vehicle quickly in cases of breakdown.
  • Convenient mobile app: The service comes with a mobile app that tells real-time fuel information and lets car owners control their vehicles remotely.
  • On-road real-time support: OnStar's navigation service comes with real-time support from a customer-rep who helps members locate the nearest gas station and lodgings.
  • Free three-month trial: The service is available on a three-month trial basis for eligible, pre-owned vehicles.
  • Maintenance Reminders: OnStar offers maintenance reminders and helps book appointments.
  • Concierge Service: For an extra fee they can book travel, hotels and concert tickets when you purchase the full plan.
  • Emergency Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.
  • Unlock Service: OnStar has the ability to know if you've been in an accident and can send help after trying to reach the driver. Their state of the art call center can detect your exact location.
  • Best for OnStar is best for adventurers, family travel and multiple drivers.

Compare Roadside Assistance Services