Find a Roadside Assistance Services partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: March 14, 2021

Canceled my service and they still took money out of my account. I called to tell them to put my money back and they kept telling me it was a valid charge. How can it be a valid charge/withdrawal if the service was canceled? Payments were always taken before the month of service, so cancelation should stop ALL charges/ bank withdrawals. The people they have working for them are rude, and they hang up on you!!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Customer service reps are rude and I cursed one out tonight. I feel so bad that I did. But man that man was over talking me and being extra mean. I do not recommend OnStar. One rep was really good. His name is Brian. After this bad day I had after getting my car stolen Brian was the only nice respectful rep. God bless you Brian and I pray good things happen for him.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Very kind. Will allow you to connect for free to someone while you wait for help. They follow up. Service is fast and excellent. They work with your dealers and insurances. They are the best! And I didn't get any charges ever.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

During the six years plus I’ve used this feature only once and will be the last time I will in the future. I experienced a flat tire and upon calling them which was mid afternoon before rush hour. My request for a tow was cancelled by someone other than myself. I proceeded to call them back after being informed of the cancellation. About this time it is rush hour traffic and the tow were on the opposite side of town. When the two men got there while loading my car they bent the under flap and I was looking at the time it happened and told them of the incident which they felt was not a problem. Discount Tires was about to close so they had to hurry. Upon reporting this to Onstar they gave me the towing company who refused to fix my car $950. The car is a well kept Cadillac SRX.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

They track my movements everywhere and sell the info to insurance cos. and others. BIG BROTHER is always watching. You can't have it disabled unless you do it off the books. My other car, a Lincoln, furnishes roadside assistance for FREE.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Great service, friendly, professional but tend to be pricey, feel safe with them. Just wish the cost was less other than that they are great!!! I like knowing they are with you just by pushing a button. They are reliable as well.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I had OnStar with my current vehicle for 5 years. I rarely use it, mainly to lock my car from the app. I received a alert via email that my ABS had issues. The app also showed it too. The dealer said their tests showed no issues. Onstar ended up costing me $129 to diagnosis a problem that wasn't even there. When I confronted Onstar they state their systems reset the alert immediately. However, the alert stayed in the app for TWO DAYS. The email and alert both recommended going to the dealer within 7 days, and to stop driving if my ABS light appeared.

Naturally, I was worried I'd lose my breaks or something since it said to get it serviced within 7 days so I made an appointment to take it in. I showed the service advisor what the app said. The app never reset the alert. Onstar offered me two months free service, which is on sale for $9.99. What a slap in the face. I wouldn't recommend their service as it basically cried wolf. How can I feel safe? I also just found out that they are supposed to know if you're in an accident. Well, my car was T-boned and they never checked in to make sure I was ok like they claim they do. In fact, I pressed the button just to see if my car was ok to drive. Their services aren't worth the money to not know if they are truly monitoring the safety of your car.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Called to cancel trial, and their person just would not be quiet long enough to hear that I absolutely wanted this thing cancelled. They tried and tried to get me to reconsider, much more than any other company I've had try to do so in the past. I explained that there is no value to this service, none, and that there was no point in continuing the trial, on and on for ten minutes to finally get this resolved. What a PITA. Onstar was a great idea back in the pre-cell phone era, not so much today. For the money Chevy spent putting that junk in my truck I would have much preferred to simply have remote start, something I would need to lay down $400 for at this point to have added by the dealership.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

My car's battery died a 2017 Cadillac Escalade. At 10:24 am I called up OnStar to get roadside assistance. Greeted with beautiful words and care and then was thrown under the bus by forwarding my request to some company named Abrams in the Oakville Burlington area. OnStar didn't even bother checking up on the status of the request and Abrams never showed up. After 2 hours someone calls and says that it'll be another 2 hours. At 2 pm frustratingly via some auto voice service I had to cancel the request. Called up the Abrams people and they put me on hold and never came back. What a scam this Onstar service is. Charging 40 plus dollars per month and then harassing by emailing and calling if you discontinue. I wasted so much on these worthless promises.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Lori **. OnStar account # ** effective since 4/2014. Ref: case # **. (There are numerous previous case numbers from numerous similar instances.) A long time customer of the high cost navigational and phone-in-car services of OnStar, the service worked rather well for the first years, but in the past 18 months, is abominable. Operators do not speak clear good English (being from who knows what countries), are dismissive, read from scripts, and do not respond to direct questions, but just repeat over and over from their nonsensical scripts, and consistently hang up on customers. And repeat. I call back, get hung up on.

OnStar is consistently creating DANGEROUS driving conditions by leaving this driver stranded in the middle of angry, fast-moving drivers who do not appreciate a stuck, lost driver, slowing to pull over or find her bearings, while dealing with obnoxious operators ill-equipped and ill-trained to handle navigational services accurately. They just hang up. Then I have to call again and the system IS NOT WORKING. Navigation is dropped once sent to car. It does not come through. This happens over and over. Phone calls, using the hands free calling also are not able to be made and I PAY EXTRA FOR THAT. The system is not working correctly and it’s exhausting to be told that it’s the locations or signals causing the issues, since nothing has changed from when it DID work. I live in a major city with good signals and if it worked for the first few years, then it is on OnSTAR, not my location, as to why it won’t work most of the time now.

WHAT AM I PAYING FOR? This is a costly service and it isn’t working. I’ve been sent to “technical” numerous times and played open door/turn car off & on/beep beep/abracadabra games with them repeatedly. That is absurd. If OnStar can tell me my tire pressure remotely, then I expect UPDATES to also be sent remotely and I’ve done these roadside primitive measures with technical several times to no avail. It takes 15 minutes of sitting there and waiting—beep, beep, beep, beep, get the go ahead, and then it drops again!

I don’t want to be stuck anymore on the side of a road waiting for technical assistance to ascertain that they failed updates. That is obvious. How was it updated for the first few years when the system worked well? Surely OnStar is aware of their ONE Star rated reviews by thousands of people on numerous consumer sites? This is indicative of a massive amount of customers UNHAPPY WITH YOUR SERVICE, OnStar!!! You are doing something wrong and I’d be humiliated as a company to have a consistent disapproval rating everywhere of a single star. *

Last week, 5 operators hung up on me. That’s disgusting. Finally, one got me where I was going, (thank you, Sheila)… (I asked each of them to please stay with me and get me to my destination since the navigation drops off, but they did not.) When I got home, I called customer service. More hanging up. Until I got Maria (from India?) who just repeated the same thing over and over and never answered my concerns. Infuriating. I recorded the call with Maria, because it was that ridiculous and sent a copy of that recording to the CEO of GM, Mary Barra. I think she needs to know what kind of customer no-service OnStar offers its current customers.

I don’t want a service that requires technical assistance every time I use it. I don’t accept that your operators are that poorly trained that they need to hang up on any call that isn’t easy. It worked for years, Buick has checked my car and it is NOT MY VEHICLE. Therefore, it is something changed at OnStar. Not only has the service gone bad, but there is no concern or care for the drivers you leave stuck. It’s unacceptable. If you were able to update for years with no issues, why not now? Nothing in our contract states that I will have to manually sit and play games in my car to update with technical whenever I need to get to a destination. Who would pay for such silliness?

The final blow was Kali on 10/23/20. He left me on hold for THIRTY MINUTES when I called and asked to speak to a supervisor or an executive who could help me and hopefully answer my questions IN ENGLISH, about what’s happened to the services? 30 minutes on hold! Is that appropriate customer service? NO! Then it hung up. Of course. So here we are.

In August, I was told my phone had not been updated. Get it together with your UPDATES! There are no numbers or ways to reach anybody with any authority or who has any answers. What OnStar is doing is not justifiable. How shameful for such a well-known service company to not care about customers they already have and have the lowest possible public reputation. No wonder I can’t get help. YOU ARE LEAVING ME IN DANGER ON THE ROAD! I have no idea where my destinations are and that is the service I have contracted with you, OnStar. I expect in car navigation when I need it on a consistent and accurate basis. Doing right by your members is what’s RIGHT.

Since there is no way to reach an executive or supervisor, I ask that someone CALL ME instead. Do you like to wait on hold for 30 minutes for nothing? I want to talk to somebody who can answer my questions and advise me intelligently about what’s changed, what’s going on, and what to expect going forward. And I won’t hang up on YOU. Please stop training people that hanging up is the acceptable help option when frustrated. That’s atrocious. I expect to hear from an bright and qualified OnStar representative ASAP. Let’s make an effort to raise that one-star rating. Thank you. Lori **

OnStar Company Information