1.70/5
Based on 60 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

60 Good Sam Roadside Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

We had a breakdown on I5 south with a travel trailer here in Oregon. Breakdowns happen and we hope that when we have a service by Good Sam Roadside Assistance we would be taking care of. After talking to the initial dispatcher they determine that we need to be towed, no kidding. But they want to do tourist to some fly by night repair shop, I said no. I would call him back with a better selection. Once I called back it took the dispatcher over 30 minutes to find our location. We finally settled on one location, get the repairs done and back on the road. Guess what broken down again. This time we set up a time to be picked up in the morning as we need to find a place to stay for the night in the morn, get the repairs done and back on the road.

In the morning at the prearranged time I’m told that they couldn’t pick us up at the pre-arrange time as I was not with the vehicle. I explain to them that I would be with a vehicle at the pre-arrange time to hand over the keys. Finally with the help of a supervisor after being on the phone for 30 minutes I get them to locate the pick up. Now we get a new pick up time an hour and 45 minutes past the original time. I don’t believe the dispatchers have a feeling what it’s like to be on the road with a broken down vehicle and trying to get it picked up. I might as well just call it local tow truck company myself and get a faster response than going through Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I would not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: June 6, 2018

About a year ago, we had a breakdown at the GA/SC border on I-95. The closest tow truck was approx 80 miles away so we had to pay 1 way of that. Our truck was never towed (they went to get coolant for the radiator) and it still cost us over $400.00. TODAY, I am waiting for a two truck for my 4-Runner and ask to be taken to my mechanic approx 5 miles away. Their answer is they take to closest place (1 mile) so again I am paying $60 for a simple tow. Called over an hour ago - no one could tell me how long it would take and only that she was, "Sorry I was having a bad day." Will never renew this membership; it's worthless.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

After reading the other reviews I consider myself lucky because I was placing my service call from home not the side of the highway! Their agents are disagreeable and seem to be working from their trailers by the noise in the background. Very unprofessional demeanors. I called for a jumpstart on my conversion schoolie and was immediately questioned about bathroom and kitchen. They said they would decide what service was appropriate and if it was unsuccessful then too bad, the incident only got one response even if it doesn’t work. When they could not get out of service that way they said it had been sitting too long (parked over the winter like many motorhomes).

I used this company on the early 2000s for my Airstream and they were always helpful and responsive. I don’t know what happened but now they are only interested in the membership fee and refusing service on any grounds they can come up with. In fairness, I did manage to get my dues refunded after a long discussion with membership services, however it is now very inconvenient as I must wait 6 days for AAA to cover me and I was planning a trip for day after tomorrow thinking I had roadside assistance. It appears that long standing members will be treated better than new ones which is probably illegal also.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Had a tire blowout on i44 (turnpike) in Oklahoma. After a long conversation providing my information I was told Good Sam could not assist me to get help changing a tire. The person on the phone gave me phone number for help on the turnpike. Number ended up be a useless unattended number with no voicemail. I was told to call 911 if I was in a dangerous situation for help. The money I spent was a waste. Left to fend for myself. Cancelled my AAA account when I got Good Sam. Big mistake, don't waste your money dealing with uninformed people.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased a Good Sam Membership in 5-17 paid through 5-19. I received a letter in the mail on 5-8-18 stating that my membership has been canceled. The letter stated "We make assumptions pertaining to the average costs associated with individual memberships and from time to time memberships are canceled where individual membership costs significantly exceed those averages. Unfortunately, your membership utilization falls outside our normal guidelines and as such we have reluctantly canceled your membership." I would not recommend getting Good Sam if there is a chance you might use them. It is fine for them to take your money but not fine for you to use their services. Pay a little more and get AAA. They are much more reliable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Good Sam Roadside Assistance?

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchased my plan 3 months ago. This week my campervan broke down 1200 miles from home, in Marion Illinois. I called for assistance and my call was answered promptly by a delightful lady named Tracy. She was friendly, sympathetic and professional. Since it was late Friday afternoon, I asked if I could just be towed to a nearby campground. She called and made a reservation for me at Marion RV Park. She called a mechanic and got me an appointment there for Monday morning. As it turned out, I needed a new engine on my 1984 van. The campground manager, Julie, was wonderful, and the local mechanic shop that she recommended was the same one that Tracy had already gotten me an appointment with. My first experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance was 100% positive!

Original review: April 30, 2018

Purchased a brand new Outdoors RV 20RD with 1 year Good Sam Roadside Assistance. One week old, first trip out and the wheel bearing disintegrated and destroyed the axle. Good SAM could not find anyone within 150 miles of us that could tow a travel trailer because it was "too long" (24 feet). We were 80 miles from the Denver metro area. Spent two days stranded and finally had to start calling tow companies on our own. Had the trailer towed home to Denver. Spend the next three days trying to get Good Sam to tow it from our house to the dealer (5 miles). Now they refused to tow it as it was new and should be "covered under warranty". Had to again get our own towing company. Good Sam is worthless.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have been Good Sam members for six years. Roadside assistance, regular membership, even extended warranty coverage on our RV. Recently had a dead battery and called them for a jump start. They sent a kid out with one of those pre-charged battery jump devices. It would not turn the motor over, I am assuming due to being undercharged. I asked him more than once if he was sure it had been charged up before coming out to which he said it had been. Called up the lady in dispatch, explained situation to her, she said, "Sorry you have used your one occurrence call for the day," and hung up.

Called supervisor in dispatch. He had the ultimate I don't care attitude. Called roadside assist through my Insurance who sent out someone with a properly charged device, car started right up. I feel like I saw Good Sam for what it really was that day, completely phony and far from their touted reputation they like to convey. Steer clear and go with another company.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This company has you sign up for their service and pay for it, however according to them. If you use service too much and they don't get their money enough you get dropped and bad name. I think this company should be shut down and have action taken against them for treating consumers so poorly. They want their money but they don't want to serve you. Any amount is too much for them. I will not accept them doing this. Other's should file to have them shut down. They are very disreputable company and have very poor business tactics. I'm not the only who had complained.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Have been a member in good standing for 10 years. Had a flat yesterday on our RV. Pulled out my Good Sam card and called. They said my membership had expired but my card show valid thru 12/13/2018. I got bounced around between dispatchers/membership/membership supervisor. Supervisor says they send out the cards at renewal time with the bill. Apparently my wife saw the cards but didn’t read the bill and we thought we were covered. It was obvious that I was not the first to do this. So I said, "No problem, I’ll pay my premium." She told me it would take 48 hours to make me active and I would have to pay for the service call.

My wife and I had been sitting on the side of the highway for 45 minutes at this point, so I said ok. They charged me $330 to have someone change the tire with my spare. Today, I realized I didn't get a receipt so I called in to request one. I was told that they don’t normally give receipts and she would have to request one to be sent to me via email. It will take 7-10 business days. I intend to drop my membership on Good Sam Roadside Assistance, Good Sam Extended Service, Good Sam Club and Camping World President's Club. And I will never shop at Camping World again!

Original review: March 16, 2018

They left me sitting on the side of the highway for hours. I called to check on my status and they never made arragements with tow company. I was upset. I was left outside in freezing temperatures and went off on employee they canceled their services. They don't give a ** about the safety of their customers.

Original review: March 15, 2018

We had a flat tire on our camper, they ordered a service truck from Kentucky (at least 2 hours away). After not hearing anything for about 4 hours, we called, they said the service truck couldn't find the location so went back home. They ordered service again, this time from Columbus OH, same thing. So the next day, they tried a third time, 23 hours later, our tire was finally changed. No excuse for not showing up and not calling. I canceled them. I added camper to my AAA for $16!

Original review: March 6, 2018

So been a member for 14 years and I had 2 of my kids at college request a lockout assistance and then they cancelled my membership! Said our membership costs exceed the average membership costs!! What a bunch of morons... 14 years of paying dues and they have the nerve to cancel me for 2 service calls? STAY AWAY from this company.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My assessment of GSRA. Incompetent, but 1 star for honesty. On call for information, they couldn't point me to brochures, but I did find after 7 more clicks. Honesty star earned because they told me they continually review members and cancel them based on their own evaluation. With GSRA there is no set # of service calls. With AAA you get a specified number of service calls (depends on your membership level), and they may not renew you, but they don't cancel at any time based on criteria that isn't published and totally at their discretion. I can understand how expensive their reimbursement costs are, and when you weigh against the low fee, you are money ahead if you get one useful tow from them on a motorhome or RV. So, not bad, if they could only be relied on to provide even one tow.

For my autos, I have both AAA and road service from insurance company. Each has limitations and each can serve a purpose. As with any "service contract" you have to evaluate the cost/benefit. For my new (to me) motorhome, I will have more than one roadside assistance policy. I will also have jumper cables, TPMS/Tire Minder system, a spare tire ready, a can of liquid wrench and a 4 way lug wrench tested to fit my lug nuts, extra key hidden and will fill up with fuel long before needed. There's enough I can't control, so I am not going to ignore the low hanging fruit. I may not be changing my own tire, but if a good samaritan, roadside service or highway helper stops, I will be ready for their assistance. Finally, I am also compiling a list of lists of independent and mobile service people, to be ready when/if needed. My advice, be prepared for disappointment and have a good Plan B, C and D.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have a membership from Good Sam Roadside Assistance and called for a help today to boost my car battery as it drained off. They told me that they will take 45 to 50 minutes to reach my location. I waited in the cold weather thinking that they will come at the time confirmed by them. They did not reach my location even after 2 hours waiting outside in cold shivering weather. After repeated attempts with customer service, finally!!! They reached my place. Very poor service and long wait time to reach the customer care. I never recommend anyone for this worst service.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

The advertising would have you believe that they will eliminate the risk of a big repair bill ruining your trip. Two experiences showed me otherwise. Two years ago my 2008 Ford F350 diesel developed an ominous knock in Austin, TX. Ford diagnosed it as piston slap and said I needed a new engine. The risk of driving was a catastrophic failure like a broken piston rod. Good Sam balked at the $20,000 estimated cost, delayed the work for weeks requiring an oil analysis, my service records, and an inspection by an independent adjuster.

In the end, they insisted on supplying a rebuilt engine. The costs of the delay, were substantial since it extended my stay in Austin four weeks. My wife had to fly home to PA. And I paid for a friend to fly and share the drive home with me. Good Sam also declined to pay for some of the repair costs as not covered under my policy. However, I was assured that so long as I paid my premium, the rebuilt engine would be covered. I was out thousands, but my truck was running great.

Fast forward a year and a half, 12,000 miles of travel. My rebuilt engine blew the head gaskets descending a 6% grade in the mountains of eastern Tennessee. The pressure and heat cracked the Exhaust Gas Recycle Cooler and caused the loss of about 2 gallons of coolant. The engine went into limp mode (reduced power) and we took it in to a nearby Ford Dealer. Good Sam declined coverage on the ground that the cracked EGR Cooler had caused the problem, and that it was an attachment to the engine, and not covered. The repair is estimated at 12,000, and once the repair is completed I’ve arranged to sell the truck. Then I’ll terminate the policy. The coverage is a poor value, and they become your adversary when you have a claim. Contrary to their ads, your worries increase if you have a breakdown.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I was with AAA for 6-7 years. Went to camping world, they talked me into Good Sam membership and now I am paying for that big mistake. I needed roadside assistance today, tried calling several times because the line kept dropping, automated service hanging up on me. I finally got through to customer service, told them I've been trying to get through, they put me on hold and by this time I was tired of waiting. So I decided to call AAA and renew my membership with them. They're on their way now to tow my car. Lesson learned, Good Sam is inept, incompetent, and unreliable... thank goodness AAA is there for me.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Left lights on, battery died. It was 6 pm in a small city. Waited 2 hrs for help, finally called Good Sam back for an update and they said they tried to call me to say they COULD NOT help me. To find my own provider and 'get reimbursed later?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I was on an early morning drive to an airport 85 miles away for a business trip. I had non-refundable round trip tickets. My left front wheel broke off. I only had time to call the towing company and a cab. As it was I only made the flight with 12 minutes to spare. I also had to rent a car to get back that evening. Good Sam only paid the towing and refused to pay the taxi and rental. They said it had to be a two vehicle accident to be qualified for trip interruption. Be aware that this is also the case with AAA.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Ok… I want to be clear… At first glance this sounds like a great deal for the traveler... And until you use it… All is great right? Wrong. A few months back I had a claim request for road side service. Nothing but double talk and transfer and transfer and lies. Told them I wanted my monies back. Said they would look into it... A few days I get this message on my email… Saying, “Ugh... Ugh... Sir... I listened to the recording and our people did a fine job.”

Well not so fast there Tim… I too recorded the call and I know what was said and not said. Normally why would anyone record a call? Too time consuming and why. So thankful our phone you just push a button and… wahhhh laagghhh... Instant proof. They lied. Never never never deal with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Not at all what was explained as the benefit. Never really pursued it any further. Not worth the negative time...

However I just received a call to renew after several mailers. Please tell Good Sam to stop the harassment. Terrible company… Had I just put the monthly money aside over the years I could pay cash. After all they just take your money and then you have to fight for claims to be honored. Oh I'm sure there are those that are satisfied… Great for them. Not so much here…

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

On Oct. 7, 2017. As a female, I was traveling with my daughter in my motorhome from Wisconsin to Texas. I had a blowout. Pulled over to a safe area in the small town near Brinkley, Ar. Called GS Roadside Assistance. They were courteous. Stated it would be 1-2 hours. Ok. Told me I had to have both tires replaced since it was on the passenger side (a doubly). Didn’t have a spare. Cost me $933 for 2 Tire replacements. They put on 2 Goodyear (I didn’t specify but gave them my RV tire #s) and they put 3 year warranties, that I didn’t ask for. I asked what was GS paying for? = The trip there. It took the guy 1 hour to get there and 30 minutes to put it on. - for $933! I feel this is taking advantage of & I can do much better on my own. (Recently got a tire from Amazon, sent to me, guy put it on for $40. = total $140 at a park site.)

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My wife and I were on a journey and our Motorhome a 1991 Georgie boy 34' broke down. Go figure right but we had never made a long trip in her so we did not know about roadside assist but for Christmas my mother got us this Good Sam thing. Threw it in the glove box and on our way. Two days into the trip we are now stuck 70 miles away from where we were going. Got the paper out. As it was so new we did not have a card called GS and they were all over this. They called us 6-7 times got us a tow 7 miles from where we broke down and they were going to tow it there for repair.

We ask the tow driver if he could just take it to our destination for us. He said no but he did call GS and they said we will pay for the hookup and the tow 7 miles. If we wanted to pay the difference that was fine with them. So we had this less than 72 hours and got to where we were headed at a cost to us 350.00. GS paid the rest, oh how much was a tow you ask? 1250.00. It cost us 350.00. GS GREAT JOB. YOU GUYS SAVED US A TON AND SAVED OUR TRIP. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I was in Florida. The camper door locked as my wife walked with both sets of keys in the camper. We were locked out!! Called Good Sam, they got me a locksmith and we got charged 85 dollars for about 2 minutes of work. Good Sam paid nothing!! I got Good Sam when I got the camper. They said how good it was and we would be covered for 5 years. Camping World made money off of us so buyer be aware. Both rip-off.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

While I had good service with being towed and tire fixed. I had very bad luck on my truck, had mechanical problems 2 times and towed to local repair shops, and 3 flat tires on a trip across the country. Good Sam just informed me that they are cancelling my contract with them for roadside assistance, I purchased the service for this for peace of mind while traveling the country. I purchased a 3 year contract and now they are going to prorate the refund. I need the service as I will be traveling for the next several years. Good Sam is only interested in making money not servicing the traveling community. Nowhere on the application that I saw they can cancel the contract for any reason. Only after they have your money do they send a for program guide that mentions this.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I am currently sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire. I called Good Sam 3 and half hours ago. I'm here alone on a busy highway. I waited so long for help that I decided to pay for a tow. First, Good Sam dispatched me to a company in Iowa. I'm in Pennsylvania. Then, when they changed my location, I was told it would be at least another 2 hours and 45 minutes before I got help. I decided to call Goodyear instead. I was crying so hard that the poor woman at Goodyear offered to call 911. This is the service I pay a premium for? When the tow driver from Good Sam finally called me, he told me that they had called him 45 minutes prior. They waited 2 hours to call for help. We will not renew. In fact, I'm reaching out to anyone I can in regards to getting the remaining 2 years we paid for refunded.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Good Sam Roadside Assistance states in their member benefit brochure that it "pays 100% of the towing fees for the delivery of the vehicle to the nearest professional service center capable and willing to repair the vehicle". I filed a claim for $1,250.00 on 7/28/17 for towing my 40' motorhome from Kerens, TX to Tyler, TX. - a distance of approximately 50 miles.

After 2-1/2 months, three conversations and two letters, I received a check for $650, not the 100% payment they state in their brochure. My claim met every requirement so far as distance and the nearest qualified professional service center. I received a phone call from them today (10/4/17) stating that this is all they will pay. They stated that the facility where the motor home was towed was not the closest and this is incorrect. I am speaking of a 40' Freightliner the size of an 18 wheeler and a facility qualified to repair something this size is not on every street corner!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

We were on our way to Jacksonville NC from our home in MD. About 110 miles from our destination, a tire blew on our utility trailer, at about 9:00 PM. Like many others, it took talking to at least 5 different people at Good Sam, and having to repeat the same information each time. Was finally told by a call back from them at 1:00 AM that no one could be located to send a tow truck for our utility trailer till about 10:00 Am. I told them that was not an option. We were only 3 miles from the next exit, an off-duty State Police officer stopped to assist us while waiting. Was very kind, gave us some water for our dog, and offered to take one of us to get some food at a local carryout.

Ended up unloading the trailer, cramming everything in the back of the truck, leaving the trailer in the grass on the side of the road since it needed a new wheel and axle. Which we could have replaced had "Good Sam" sent a flatbed Tow vehicle. Went back later that evening (110 miles) Trailer was GONE. Canceled our membership on the side of the road on the spot. NEVER will subscribe to their "Assistance" programs again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Consumers beware of Good Sam for any roadside assistance protection. After a 3+ hour standoff trying to resolve a flat tire during September 2017. After giving my information, I was told a confirmation text would be sent, didn't happen. After 90 min, I called again to confirm my roadside assistance request then told it was cancelled. Roadside truck arrives within 2 hours & tells me my spare can't be removed from under vehicle, then left. I called Good Sam 2 additional times to mention what the previous roadside guy did, the representative didn't care, then stated the 1st attempt to replace my flat tire exceeded my limit of services per day & any tows now are 100% my responsibility. This was my 1st roadside call during my 11 months with company.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Signed up with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. We were on a trip from California to Iowa. We had stopped in Jean Nevada for lunch and when we came back we noticed that the plug from the tow dolly to the coach was laying on the ground and the right side prong was destroyed. So we had no brake lights or turn signals from the coach to the dolly. Called GSRA after over 2 hours on the phone we were told a technician would be dispatched within 2 hours to help fix our problem. The cost was 175.00 for the tech to come out labor was 175.00 the parts would be extra once he determined what was needed and we would have to pay an additional 175.00 for the techs return fee. We were 10 miles from Las Vegas. Why would we have to pay 175.00 for the tech to drive home ridiculous. I felt like we were being gouged for the most money they could get. 175 for this 175 for that "Really".

We decided to drive to Vegas without the lights. Camping World had the part we needed it cost 12.50 and one of the associates from Camping World came out and helped us replace the part. Tipped this wonderful man 20 bucks and we were on our way. Skip forward to a few days later we heard a loud sound and it felt like we were dragging something. Made it to a safe area and went out to see what it was. The mud flap and protector plate had been damaged. We did not have the right tools to remove or fix the 2 pieces and could not drive with them hanging. Called GSRA, told them our problem and was told they don't cover that. I told the dispatcher we were unable to drive anywhere and she rudely said that she didn't feel we were disabled so no dispatch. Omg.

So my husband climbed under the RV and tried to remove the pieces with the tools at hand no luck. We then took cable ties and duct tape to hang the pieces so they wouldn't drag while driving. We linked the cable ties I climbed under to loop them since my hands are smaller and then once looped we reinforced the loop with duct tape. We got back on the road and GSRA calls and wants to "talk" really basically I told them what they could do with their so-called "Assistance". Do not sign up for this. It is bogus and will only upset you when you try and use it. So ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My wife and I were traveling through Oregon this Sept and had a Alternator fail on our Ford F-250 Diesel while pulling our 28-foot camping trailer. We were stranded and called for assistance on our fairly new Good Sam Road Side Assistance club membership. The call was very unhelpful and was routed through several operators who wanted the same info which I had provided several time already. Then they ask for a return number of the phone I was calling on so they could call me back with service info. The call never came. I finally after more than an hour called them back to cancel. We received some help from a good samaritan, moved the truck and trailer off the road and then used a Taxi to make it to a parts house and purchased a new alternator and installed it myself.

Then the next day at about 3 pm we encountered an axel issue with our trailer on busy I-5 which normally would require a tow, I called again and we were told it would be 4 hours for any assistance, if even then. Once again we were left to fend for ourselves already having paid for a Good Sam Assistance package prior to the trip. I will never again pay-for or use any of the Good Sam road assistance services, they are a scam with no good outcome!!!

Good Sam Roadside Assistance expert review by Lauren Fix

Known for its roadside assistance services for RVs, boat trailers and motorbikes, apart from standard passenger vehicles, Good Sam Roadside Assistance offers support in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

• Unlimited towing miles: Members can get their vehicle towed to the nearest repair shop without worrying about towing miles.

• Travel-interruption expenses: If a vehicle breaks down 100 or more miles away from home, the service pays for expenses like food and lodgings.

• Automatically family coverage: All membership plans come with automatic coverage for spouse and children below 25 years of age.

• Discounts: Members are entitled to discounts at repair shops, car rental services and at more than 7,000 lodgings.

• Medical help: The service helps members find medical and legal help in case of emergencies on the road.

• Best for: Good Sam Roadside Assistance is best for families with multiple drivers, frequent vacationers and adventurers. It is designed for RV owners too.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Company Information