3.4/5 (1754 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Good Sam Roadside Assistance?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I learned this sevice does not cover any acts of God ... no towing if stuck in snow or ice or mud or floods, etc. I spent hours waiting for help after calling Good Sam and they did not help or even TELL ME they would not help. Thankfully a good samaritan pulled my car out of the snow after over 2 hours waiting in my car at 15 degrees. I do not plan on renewing this "service". The communication process is non-existent when you are waiting for them to arrange assistance. If you have their policy and need to ask for help ... good luck!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

On Saturday, September 24, 2022, I was driving through Kansas when the information panel of my diesel Ford F350 gave a message telling me to stop as soon as was safe to do so. A couple miles later I was able to pull over at an unattended gas station. As soon as I came to a stop, the engine died, and there was no response when I turned the key in the ignition. I was 40 miles from the nearest Ford dealer in McPherson, KS, and thanked my lucky stars that I had renewed my Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership only a few days earlier.

I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance, wading through their voicemail prompts (2 pm), and was on the phone with the same woman for the next two hours. Most of the time was spent with her telling me she was trying to reach a supervisor. Finally, at 4 pm she told me she had a arranged a tow to McPherson and that the tow truck would be there within 75 minutes; the tow truck operator would be texting me information. I asked the woman for a number to call her back if things did not work out; she refused to give a number and said not to worry, they would definitely be there.

One hour later (5 pm) I had not heard from the tow truck and thought to try to start the engine. The engine started, and I was left with the decision to try to limp to McPherson or to wait. I decided to go. 35 miles later (5 miles out of McPherson), I got the same message from the information panel and pulled over. I waited 30 minutes after which the engine started. I limped into McPherson and found a motel for a 2-night stay, waiting for the Ford service department to open Monday morning.

When I awoke the next morning I found a text message from 9:34 pm the previous evening - "We apologize for the delay. We are still working to secure service for your vehicle's needs. You should hear from us again shortly." They sent the same text message at 9:42 pm and 9:50 pm that same evening. That was the last communication from Good Sam Roadside Assistance. When I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance recently to complain and ask for cancellation of my membership as well as a refund, I told the story to 3 different people and was told they had to research it and was offered no apology.

I have subsequently received an e-mail from Brad **, Operations Coordinator, offering an apology and saying they would investigate. He did cancel my membership but no mention anywhere of a membership refund. Not sure if I will be hearing any more from them. This is unacceptable service. My theory is that they do not have an adequate network of providers due to the fact they are not willing to pay enough. Whatever the cause, I strongly encourage all to avoid this "service."

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

We had a tire blow out from Road Hazard on our 43 ft. motorhome. The tire was totally shredded and caused damage to our coach and undercarriage and basement. Good Sam said because we didn't save the totally shredded, dirty, muddy tire for them to physically examine, they denied our claim. They further stated this was because they couldn't prove it was road hazard damage. We explained, "You also can not prove there was no road hazard damage." We followed the directions of their representative completely and were told it was not necessary to put the huge shredded dirty tire in our RV (home). Who would even want to put something like that in their home. The original 3rd party person we talked to, told us to just take pictures if we couldn’t save the tire, which we did! We took many and sent them in as directed and they rudely denied the claim because they didn't have the physical tire!

At first, they denied by sending an incorrect letter that didn’t even apply to us. After my phone call they changed the letter to address the correct claim. This company is a scam to take your money but not pay any legitimate claims. Adding to the pain, the roadside assistance brought out the wrong brand of tire (in the dark of night), claiming it was a first-tier tire (Michelin) and instead installed a second tier tire (Toyo)! Now we are out $1400 for a 2nd tier tire and the service fee of the blown tire.

In addition, we have to replace the 2nd tier tire now with a quality 1st tier tire which is safest for our rig and to match the other Michelin tire on the same axle, (not the substandard tire) which will be another $1000? Truly a scam and rip off. We will never buy Good Sam services ever again!!!! We even talked to their corporate office and the lady was rude and matter of fact and wouldn’t honor what their employee told us about taking pictures. Save your money, they have hidden ways to deceive you!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

I had a flat tire in a parking lot on Dec. 23, 2022, at 3pm. It was 12 degrees outside, while the sun was out, then dropped to 8 degrees once the sun went down. The first call I made to Good Sam said that their mechanic would be out in 60-90 minutes. After an hour, I got a call from that mechanic asking if I had a spare and where it was located. I told him it was under the minivan, on the passenger side. He refused to come out, saying that he had a policy not to go under cars to retrieve a spare, especially in this kind of weather since the jack can crack, dropping the car on him. Since I had never used my spare, I didn't realize that you simply crank it down from inside of the car, no jack required for this part, and no need to get under the car. He should have known this!!! Good Sam scheduled another mechanic to come out. After waiting another 1.5 hours, that mechanic was a no-show.

A third mechanic was scheduled. He was supposed to be there at 6:15. He finally shows up at 8pm. He puts the spare on, to realize it's flat. He tells me that he doesn't have an air compressor with him and can't fix the spare...seriously??? I am in my car, trying to warm up. About 15 minutes later, he gets in his truck and takes off, not saying a word to me. It turns out that he was going to look for a gas station to fill the spare, but I thought I had just been abandoned, in a dark, empty parking lot. I called Good Sam (for the umpteenth time) and they tracked him down and assured me he would be back in 20 minutes. 45 minutes later, he came back and finally finished the job.

While the Good Sam operators were kind and sympathetic, and tried their best to help me, the mechanics they had lined up in their system are PATHETIC! Furthermore, I was told that I would get a call from a Good Sam supervisor on Monday, Dec. 25th, to attempt to make this right...Today is Friday, the 30th, and I'm still waiting for that call. This is the second time we had a debacle like this with them. We will NOT be renewing our Roadside Assistance with Good Sam and suggest you look elsewhere for coverage. UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

On a Saturday afternoon I had a tire blowout. Contacted Good Sam and was directed to complete the assistance request through their app. The app gave me 4 choices of places to have my car towed. None of the choices could repair my car. In fact one was closed! The nearest tire store with my tire in stock was 31 miles away. Good Sam customer service purposely acted both slowly and without regard to what was required to get me back on the road. Because I didn't want to be stranded in the parking lot of a closed tire store and because none of the Good Sam tire store options could fix my car, Good Sam customer service said I denied the tow. By me supposedly denying the tow they refuse to cover my $204.00 tow bill. They SUCK!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

Good Sam DOES NOT provide Unlimited tow mileage as they state in written ads. They tow to the "nearest willing and able shop" (that they consider willing and able - not you), not to the one of your choosing. I recently called them to tow wrecked car to repair shop only 12 miles away (certainly not an excessive distance), and they said another one was six miles and that was my only option, or I have to pay the difference of $75. Don't join Good Sam. It is USELESS in your time of distress and real need. For example, if you have a breakdown, and Bubba's Auto Repair, Taxidermy and Tanning Salon is just 1 mile away, they are taking your car there, not to the 5-star Body shop you prefer 2 miles away.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

Had Good Sam RV coverage and broke down outside Lubbock Texas with my truck pulling a travel trailer. Got bad gas in my RAM pickup. Called Good Sam and they said they would tow my truck but not my trailer because the trailer was not disabled. They were going to leave it on the side of Highway 84. Then they said their nearest service center was an RV repair business not a RAM dealer. They would not tow my RAM to the dealer in Lubbock. Finally they agreed to send two wreckers, one for the truck and one for the trailer and tow both to the nearest RV park as it was Sunday. They charged me $630.00 to tow my trailer 1 1/2 miles to the KOA. Two people at the KOA said they had similar experiences and cancelled.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Do not get this service!! 6 years never used it. Then Bang the time came. Had a bearing go out on a small trailer I was hauling. 2:00 in the afternoon called old reliable we’re here for you NOT!! Good Sam road service. They have the nicest people that can’t get anything done. 6 O’clock still no tow. Then told me I was only good for 20 miles, then another 300 dollars to the service center the next day after we booked a motel for the night. Ended up staying in a gas station parking lot. Called a local guy. Said he’d tow me in the morning for 150.00 and knows someone who could fix my bearings. Can’t express my disappointment with Good Sam after all these years a member. If at all possible look elsewhere. We are..

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

We have a 1985 VW pop top camper that broke down in Tonopah, NV. Forget the "unlimited mileage" for towing. They will only tow to a place that "says" they can fix it, not one that has experience with these aging vans. I told the "facilitator" that I wanted to be towed to a shop that can repair my van - either in Las Vegas or Reno. But, no they sent us to Ferrells in Hawthorne. It was after closing, so we dropped the keys in the box and found a motel. The next morning I called twice before a receptionist answered the phone. I explained what I thought was the problem and she said she'd get them right on it. I waited for someone to call with an estimate and what had to be done. I called and left several messages that went unanswered.

I had NO idea what they were going to do or how much they would charge. Without my permission, they torn the van apart, ordered a part and THEN called me to tell me that they ordered a NAPA starter and that it would be in tomorrow morning. The NAPA starters have a terrible reputation of their version of a VW starter. So, instead of calling me so I could tell them were to get the proper starter, they just went ahead and did the work. Needless to say, we had even more problems with the starter and a scary moment when we were in the middle of the Nevada desert when the starter failed again.

We cancelled the rest of our trip, went home and had the correct starter install. Again. It ended up costing us double for a new starter simply because Good Sam doesn't give a damn about its customers. "Unlimited mileage" is bull. They will only take you to the nearest garage that SAYS they can do the work whether or not they even can. We I picked up the garage, I asked the mechanic if he had any experience with my type of vehicle. I got the non-answer: "I've got 40 years experience!" Evidently, he didn't learn much in those 40 years. Stay away from Good Sam and Ferrells auto repair in Hawthorne, NV.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Goodsam Roadside service was called when my 41,000 lb 44' long coach lost air bag pressure in the rear of the coach. After a several hours wait, a repair service arrived and inspected the coach and determined a valve had failed and the valve would be ordered and coach repaired. The service was not qualified as the Goodsam service promises and did not find a valve failure but lied about the valve that never appeared. Other attempts to find a qualified service failed and Goodsam wanted to tow the coach without a determination if an onsite repair was possible by a qualified repair service. I never refused a tow, but given the difficulty in towing a very large coach on a trailer as the coach manual instructs I wanted to determine the problem before agreeing to a tow.

After several days in a hotel, driving back and forth to the disabled location to keep the coach batteries up, and spending my own money to locate a qualified service in the Savannah, GA area, the additional cost to me was over $1,500. Once a qualified repair service found the problem, it was determined that the coach could have been repaired on-site at a cost of $350 to me. Ever since Sue Bray and crew exited the Good Sam program, the GoodSam brand has gone downhill substantially and many persons who are coach owners will identify with this opinion. I strongly advise any class A owner to seek a qualified road service and not Goodsam Roadside Service.

GoodSam abandoned me for several days under the guise that I was offered a tow even though it was not determined by a qualified service that a tow was necessary and in fact a tow was never required if a qualified service had been sent in the first place. Goodsam is not qualified to handled large class A coach breakdowns in my opinion.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance author review by Lauren Fix

Known for its roadside assistance services for RVs, boat trailers and motorbikes, apart from standard passenger vehicles, Good Sam Roadside Assistance offers support in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

• Unlimited towing miles: Members can get their vehicle towed to the nearest repair shop without worrying about towing miles.

• Travel-interruption expenses: If a vehicle breaks down 100 or more miles away from home, the service pays for expenses like food and lodgings.

• Automatically family coverage: All membership plans come with automatic coverage for spouse and children below 25 years of age.

• Discounts: Members are entitled to discounts at repair shops, car rental services and at more than 7,000 lodgings.

• Medical help: The service helps members find medical and legal help in case of emergencies on the road.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Company Information