1.59/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

81 Good Sam Roadside Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I recently had a breakdown with my 2016 Thor class a motorhome. Using my Good Sam's Club Roadside assistance, I end up going to Camping World of Minnesota for repairs. Camping World of Madison Wisconsin is where I bought my motorhome and the Good Sam's Club Warranty. The Minnesota branch fixed my motorhome the next day. Camping World told me I had to pay them my bill of $1000.00 and send in the paperwork and receipt to Good Sam's Club for reimbursement. After calling Good Sam's to find out where I had to send the paperwork. I was told I did not get pre-approved for repairs and would not get reimbursed.

Even though I was told by a representative for Good Sam's Club and their product, Camping World, what I had to do. A representative of Good Sam's claims told me I could send a letter of what happened and all receipts to them. She said it will take several months before it will be reviewed and will most likely be denied, because I did not get approval before repairs were made. I think Good Sam's Club Charges a lot of money for something they do not want you to use, but you should be happy it's there for you if you need it and Camping World helps them sell it.

Jeffrey,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your experience. I would like to look into what happened. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

An error on my part caused my travel trailer to become lodged at an angle under the corner eave of my home. I could not move forward or backwards without causing further damage. I called Good Sam towing assistance and explained the situation. I was placed on hold while the call center operator checked with her supervisor. When she returned, she told me they could not help. Since my RV was in my driveway, it was considered a "convenience", not a disablement. I called later to cancel my membership.

The operator was extremely kind, said they handled calls like this before and he did not understand why it was not covered. We spoke for over 18 minutes while he attempted to clarify whether this was covered. After being on hold for a few minutes, he returned to my call and said he would need to speak to the dispatch supervisor, who had left for the day. He promised he would follow up with me, either by phone or email, the following day when the dispatch supervisor returned. Three days later I still have not heard back from anyone at Good Sam, nor have I received confirmation of my cancellation. In the meantime, I upgraded my AAA auto insurance to add RV coverage.

The additional cost for add-on was $20.00. After waiting the required 48 hours for the change to take effect, I placed a call to AAA for assistance. A tow truck arrived 20 minutes later. They attached a winch cable to my trailer and straightened it out. I would not recommend Good Sam Roadside Assistance to anyone. The plus side to all of this is that I will be saving over $80.00 a year by switching to AAA. Anyone thinking of purchasing an RV, or those who currently own one, I suggest doing a comparison of benefits between Good Sam and AAA (or your current auto insurance company). I wish I had done so years ago.

Susan,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this for you. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

While traveling home in our RV, had a flat tire in San Dimas, Calif. Called Good Sam and gave them all the information. Was put on hold for excessive amount of time, then told they couldn’t find my location. Repeated info and put on hold for another long period, they finally told me they found someone, but it would be about 1 1/2 hours and I’d have to pay $220 since they only would pay $100 and something. Told the person that was crazy and I’d do it myself. A friend was with me and called AAA and they were there in 30 minutes!!! And no extra charge, so I’ll be switching to them after 7 years as a member of Good Sam Roadside Assistance!!!

Charles,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into what happened. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

On July 18, 2018 while covered by Good Sam Roadside Assistance, we had a towing vehicle breakdown on I-80 5 miles West of Winnemucca, NV. We also weren't getting cell phone connection. Standing on the shoulder just wide enough to get our vehicle and trailer onto, with traffic passing at 80MPH and up, temps in the low 100s at mid afternoon we were in danger. Finally, a fellow RVer stopped and offered his cell phone for us to use. Then the fun began. GS first denied that our vehicle was covered. Then wanted a lot of extraneous info. They wanted our specific address. Mile marker on I-80 in Nevada wasn't good enough.

About 45 minutes of this, and a Deputy Sheriff arrived. After listening to us talking to the GS rep, with her stating she couldn't locate us and get us any help, the Sheriff got on the phone and gave her the name and location of a tow/repair facility in Winnemucca. She argued again, but finally gave it and called them. They we going to leave my camper on the shoulder unless I paid the additional cost to tow it in, but that was minor. Whole thing took over 2 hours to get the tow truck on the way. The rest of the day went well, thanks to the Sheriff and Andreas, the tow truck driver. GS continues to pester me with renewal notices months before the end of my current policy. I think some other business might be getting my call.

Hello George,

We apologize for the experience you have had. Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. Please provide your membership and contact information in a private message. We will be reaching out to your directly to obtain additional information.

Ella

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Been a member for 8 years. First use was in 2015. Car broke down and took 3 hours (this was in a city with lots of tow companies) because the one guy they were contracted with was in another town. Then, I was told they could tow my brand new VW Diesel to a small, unqualified service shop 2 miles away. My VW dealer was 6 miles away. They charged me for the two extra miles. Since then we haven't used it until this year and we had an extraordinary summer. A flat, then a dead battery on one car, then two separate tow jobs on another car for a ECU problem. Now, their service was very good on all four these occasions. But, three weeks later I get a letter stating they are canceling my policy because we used it too much. We've used it 5 or 6 times in 8 years. That is unbelievable. I will never do business with this company again.

David,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Good Sam Roadside Assistance?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I’ve been a platinum member for 9 years and today I got a flat tire. When I called them, they dispatched me a tow truck, 45 mins go by, no one comes. I call them and they tell me the tow truck cancelled on them and will have to find another tow truck company. Then I wait for another 45 mins now in this crazy heat and can’t rely on Good Sam to get me off the road. They can’t be trusted. Then they tell me it’s going to cost $22.90 to take my car 4 miles to an America’s Tire center. I guess my tire company is not an approved vendor for them because they want me to use Firestone because they get a kickback or commission to go there. This is ridiculous. Don’t use this company. Go with Triple AAA. I used to be with them and never had these issues.

Brian,

Thank you for providing your feedback for Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry you had this experience and would like to look into what happened. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Was stranded with a flat tire for 23 hrs, and received every lie you have heard. Stranded with a blow out on a 2 lane narrow road for. Had to call my back RV towing service to be towed 40 ft. RV on a 2 lane narrow road isn't any fun. Had to pay $200 bucks extra to get towed, Good Sam claims in their policy to send a tire or tow to nearest service. Big lie. You can reference this by Steve ** #**... at Good Sam, not enough room to tell all the excuses and what went on.

Hello Richard,

Ella

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We are a family of three drivers and bought a 3 yr Platinum roadside assistance membership. We just had our membership cancelled due to what they consider overuse. We had an unusual year with our cars. Each needing to use the service twice (flats, dead batteries, etc), all typical roadside assistance issues. In 40 yrs of driving we have rarely used roadside assistance. When I called to inquire about the cancellation I was told we are costing them too much - no discussion just tough luck. They gave us 10 days to get new coverage from the time the cancellation letter was dated, we were already past the date by the time the letter arrived. The last time we used the service we called at 7:30 am, they arrive at 10:43.

Kim,

Thank you for providing your feedback and sharing your experience regarding our Good Sam Roadside Assistance. We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into the issues that you had. Please send us a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Thanks,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I am a disable veteran on a very limited budget, I bought the Platinum RV service to assist when things go wrong with our RV because it seems to cover a lot and seems worth it on paper. That is until you need to use it. So I had my rv parked in front of my home when it wouldn't start. I called Good Sam and asked for a tow to a garage. They said they can only send a mechanic first. So I agreed. He showed up. Tried to jump start it which it wouldn't do. The only thing it did was smoke from the battery and he proceeds to tell me both of my batteries where dead anyway and I need two new ones to start my rv. So I bought two new batteries. As I put them in the wrench hit the pos and negative and shorted out the computer and possibly more. I call again and explain what is happening and request a tow and they again said the same thing that they would have send out a mechanic.

I explained no that it needs to be towed to a shop because it needs a computer and will need to be programmed. They again refused and insisted on sending out a mechanic. He arrives at 615 pm. I watched him do all the things that we have already tried for two hours before he says he can't fix it and then proceeds to give me a 900 bill. I ask how could it possibly be that much. He explains that he drove two and half hours from Tucson and it's two and a half hours back so 5 hours at $120 for travel and 3 hours of trying to fix it.

As I stated before I'm a disable vet and can't afford to be taken advantage of like that. I was told that it was a two hour min at 120 so I was prepared to pay the 240 even a little more if he was able to fix it. I tell them I'm not going to pay that outrageous bill. They say, "Ok we will lower it to 750. That's the best we can do." I again ask, "For what? You didn't do anything. The most I will pay is the 120 per hour for the 2 hours that he tried to fix it." They said, "Pay the $750 or we will come back and tow your rv to our yard in Tucson and if you don't pay we will sale it."

Now I'm really upset. They try and rip me off and now they want to strong arm me. Granted this is not Good Sam direct but the thugs that they sent to me so I call my local police department to see if they have the right to tow my RV and the police tell me, "No that's a civil matter. Unless they are repossessing it with papers they can't just take your RV," but they proceed to say parking on the street where I live is illegal and if I don't get it towed they will so I call Good Sam back once again to get a tow to a shop like I requested all along and they say they won't send a tow until I pay the $750 to the thugs they sent out! This is a horrible company.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance response

Hello yancy - I apologize for the confusion, and would like to assist. Please contact us directly at 303-728-7375 at your convenience so we may investigate further on your behalf.

Thank you in advance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 30, 2018

We ran out of fuel in the town of Lucerne Ca. The town had lost power. All the fuel stations were shut down. Called to get enough fuel to get 2o miles to no avail of the people that were on the phone from the roadside assistance of Good Sam. Have been a member for 20+ yrs. Will look for new provider for the coming year. Just when we needed help all they said was no provider in area and we were on our own. Good luck Good Sam. Truman very burnt and bummed **.

Hi Truman,

We are so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We'll be reaching out shortly to get more information from you to help us determine how this could have happened.

Resolution response: July 30, 2018

This is in addition to the review I left last night. After many phone calls to Good Sam to rectify the bad situation we were in, I escalated it by sending an email to management. This was the best thing to do. Within an hour we had received a message back followed by phone calls. It seems a few employees did not have full understanding of their policies and instead of asking for clarification, they were adamant. The manager just called me again today to check on our progress and was apologetic. I fully believe this will be a learning experience for all and training will be given to make the process smoother. It has been a difficult 24 hours but Mary was absolutely wonderful and I do have faith that this will make them all better. I won't give five stars as I am rating last night's chaos and today's resolution together. Let's hope this makes a change.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Today, my husband called for Roadside Assistance as the motorhome covered by Platinum coverage overheated, and was told only one service call per day. He called me while waiting for someone to come help. Someone was dispatched and they brought oil and coolant. In the meantime, I called Customer Service and asked about this policy, which I was unaware of, and was reassured that if the RV was not able to go after the visit, a tow would be covered. I asked about the "one call per day" policy and was reassured that this was not true. The RV started and the person left.

The RV made it only part way through the parking lot and the rad completely blew. He called back and was told the tow would not be covered, in complete opposition to what I was reassured about. He was not offered a tow during his initial call but they are insisting that it was offered and he denied it. Their word against us. Now, at this moment, he is stuck at a rest area at the side of the highway, at 5:30 pm on a Sunday, where shops will be closed. He now has to find his own tow and accommodation for himself and his senior citizen parents who were travelling with him. What kind of shoddy coverage is this?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 28, 2018

Not as advertised, BEWARE of the Towing policy. Their system said they could only tow my Prius on a Saturday for free to was a RV and body shop. If I wanted it to go to my Toyota Dealer it was going to cost me $4 a mile (over $150). I asked if they were to pull it to their approved garage and he does not work on Hybrids if I could then get it towed again and was told no. I have been a customer for 13 years and have only used them for jumps, flats and lockouts that I could count on one hand. What good does the service do me for Towing it to a glorified body shop.

I need to work on Monday, my dealership has rentals and loaners to accommodate my needs. BEWARE of their tactics. I found a business on my own that was less than their roadside assistance could offer me. If I could give them a half star I would. The kid they sent to my workplace when a needed a jump over a year ago did not know how to jump a Hybrid, I had to find a video on YouTube for him to watch. Sub Standard Customer Care.

Hi Sharon,

We're sorry to hear you didn't receive the help you needed. We'll be reaching out to you directly to get more information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 26, 2018

Called Good Sam at 7:03 pm to be held on phone forever listening to music. Finally ordered a lockout fix with them. They kept texting that service people would be out by 9:08. At 9:42 I called the number that was left by a text to find out their truck was broke at their shop and that they cancelled 2 hours prior. Somebody is lying! Called back to Good Sam to reschedule for in the morning. They were not accommodating at first and I continued to rant about their timeline tonight. 8:00 am was scheduled. It is now 9:27 am. Guess what—nobody yet. I will not use this company again. Poor service follow through. Glad my animals were not in vehicle or grandchild!!!

Hi Ken,

We're sorry to hear you didn't receive the help you needed. We'll be reaching out to get more information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 21, 2018

Pulled off freeway with flat tire on 5th wheel trailer at a truck stop. Called Good Sam Roadside Assistance, had to leave name and phone number for a call to be relayed to someone in our area. After 20 minutes no call, it took 40 min. for a return call, was told it would be 45 minutes for person to arrive to change tire. This wasn't acceptable so went into restaurant to use phone book to call Les Schwab tire store. They had a truck completing a job in the area, would be there in less than 10 min. changed the tire in less than 5 min and we were back on the road, no charge. Save your money, Good Sam Roadside Assistance is useless!

Hi Nelda,

We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. We'll be reaching out shortly to get more information from you to help us determine how could have happened.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 13, 2018

Good Sam is beyond horrible. I have wasted several hours today trying to set up a very simple flat tire repair at my home. I got disconnected three times before reaching any live people, have sat on hold cumulatively over an hour. The last rep promised everything was in the computer with Company X which I've already coordinated with redirections to my hard-to-find location. Now Heather says they have to use a different company and I'm on another hold 10 minutes and counting. This is NOT rocket science! Anyone by the side of a highway in an accident or breakdown would be livid at such inexcusable non-service. Shame on you, Good Sam!

Hi Bee,

We're sorry to hear you didn't receive the help you needed when you attempted to get service. We'll be reaching out to you directly to get more information.

Original review: July 12, 2018

If you use their trip planning software, you'd better print out a copy of your trip before you exit, because it probably won't be there the next time you log on. I've repeatedly lose past and current trips and when I call Good Sam to see what is going on, the operator simply puts me on hold and I'm back in the call waiting line. After a couple of those round trips, when I get to speak with an operator, I'm told "we're having trouble with the website." This response is the same one I've gotten multiple times over the past two years.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 11, 2018

We have been a member of Good Sams since 2002, and we also have RV roadside assistance, I called at 11:54 for roadside assistance and spoke with Caitlyn **. She submitted the call at 12:21, she stated she would sent me a text of the company and time they would be here. I never received the text. I attempted to contact roadside assistance the call would drop off. I was able to talk with KJ emp# **. She put me on hold for 17 minutes no one came back on the line. Then I called the number from the internet and spoke with Antawanett. She was the person who was able to tell my what time the call went to Allstate and the company who was called to change my tire.

But when I called Snyder Tire they stated they didn’t receive the call to come and change my tire until 12:45. It is now 1349 and I’m still waiting for service. This is very poor customer service. I can’t imagine if we were broke down on the side of the freeway and had to wait 2 hours for service day or night. Just to let you know the company Good Sams Roadside Assistance sent out was Snyder tires, the guy arrived 2 1/2 hours after my call for help. He didn’t have the tools to change the tire and his excuse was I work on big rigs. I called Snyder’s back and they ask is I had a tire iron, I told them if I had a tire iron I could have changed my own tire. So again what lousy service from Good Sams Roadside Assistance and Snyder Tires.

Hi Betty,

I apologize that you didn't receive the help you needed. We'll be reaching out to you directly to get more information.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 10, 2018

For many years I paid high price for Platinum towing service for my Truck and RV. Each year they assured me it would cover full towing regardless of miles to a repair facility. I broke down today in the middle of nowhere in AZ towing my RV from Florida. They told me they will tow 10 miles of 150 miles to Flagstaff where nearest transmission ship is. And I was on the phone a long time with constant hold. I am Extremely upset and will file many complaint on this company. I will go back to AAA. I Never had this much problem with AAA.

Hi Chung,

Original review: July 9, 2018

My complaint has nothing on some of The other poor folks' bad experiences, but had RV insurance from / thru Good Sam at purchase of RV in 2014. Received letter from Nationwide the company Good Sam uses that policy being cancelled not renewed as of 8/9/2018. Called and spoke to Ian ** at Good Sam on 7/2. He told me he would scout out a policy for me and get right back and or email it to me. Nothing. On 7/5, I left him a message asking if he found anything cause not heard back from him, pls call, left my number again. No response.

7/9 called him again, left another message, this time asking if no policy available?? Please let me know so can pursue another source. No response again. We have every one of Good Sam's stupid travel cards, and can not get a call back. Thanks Bad Sam Club, and Ian, best you get a new job. This is my first experience needing their help. Am so looking not forward to needing tow service or anything else. Seems only thing they are good for is the ** discount at the campgrounds. I must spend $300-400 a year on memberships. HELLO AAA!!!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Our RV needed towing on 4/2/18. The fan clutch went out we have the Good Sam Roadside Service & Warranty. Good Sam would only tow our $100,000 RV to their nearest mechanic which our RV is sitting on the side of the road in a field with absolutely no fence, No shop, No mechanic nowhere in sight. We complain to Good Sam on where they had our RV towed. We were told they would only tow it to the nearest mechanic and if we didn't like it where it was at it would be up to us to pay for the tow. Today is now 7/3/18 and our RV is still in the same spot. The mechanic who is working on the RV is DW Trucking Service in Victoria TX. DW has came up with every excuse he could about not finding a fan clutch.

Now DW has rig up a way to half ** his job on fixing our RV. He called us & told us Good Sam will not pay for his service. He wants $3,600 for his service. DW was also told many times to call Good Sam & let them know what was wrong with our RV which he never did until it was time to get paid. We have called many times to Good Sam & have been told they will not help us. We can't get our RV back until the $3,600 is paid. We are very upset with Good Sam towing & their warranty also with DW Trucking Service.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Basically, just as others have said, the service is a scam. When you sign up you’re led to believe Service anytime day or night. After my first breakdown when the only option offered was towing, I began to realize this is not roadside assistance, rather this is roadside towing. We were never offered any real assistance only that they could tell us to the nearest O’Reilly or Firestone or some other fly by night repair Center. My most recent experience was with an agent when my truck broke down and I escalated to a “supervisor” named Rodney. This person was absolutely unprofessional in a very assuming way and extremely cocky knowing that when people are in trouble and desperate they most likely take Whatever they are given.

In my case I have the means so really wasn’t about a Frito. It was about the principle. The principle being that we as members, subscribers, people who pay for the service expect to be able to be towed to a location where there are reputable mechanics or staff. However be aware that they use a “list.” Where is the list comes from or how does generated or maintain has not made known to us. In my case the nearest facility which was an O’Reilly was 2 miles away. The facility I needed to reach for the warranty work on my vehicle was 20 miles away, they said they charge four dollars per mile and that I would be expected to pay the 18 mile difference between the two. That is about $72 when I paid roughly $69 for the membership to begin with.

So that is a total of 140+ dollars for a tow that I could’ve paid for myself. In short I’ve had to use the service twice now and both times they have failed. I am canceling my membership today and I highly recommend this service be avoided at all cost. I have yet to receive a call back from Rodney supervisor, whose name I was given as Jessica. I get the feeling they use aliases due to the way that they treat customers with no regard to the consequences for their absolutely unprofessional and offensive language and behavior on the phone.

As it stands I will pay out-of-pocket for any towing, fortunately we have the means but I do feel for those families who are actually relying on this service for help when the time comes. Do yourself a favor if you have this membership find something else, at a very minimum review what you thought you were getting on the phone with a representative and ask very specific questions about what would happen if you actually need their service and where they would take you and what real assistance they would offer. Avoid this Good Sam Roadside Assistance at all costs.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We had a breakdown on I5 south with a travel trailer here in Oregon. Breakdowns happen and we hope that when we have a service by Good Sam Roadside Assistance we would be taking care of. After talking to the initial dispatcher they determine that we need to be towed, no kidding. But they want to do tourist to some fly by night repair shop, I said no. I would call him back with a better selection. Once I called back it took the dispatcher over 30 minutes to find our location. We finally settled on one location, get the repairs done and back on the road. Guess what broken down again. This time we set up a time to be picked up in the morning as we need to find a place to stay for the night in the morn, get the repairs done and back on the road.

In the morning at the prearranged time I’m told that they couldn’t pick us up at the pre-arrange time as I was not with the vehicle. I explain to them that I would be with a vehicle at the pre-arrange time to hand over the keys. Finally with the help of a supervisor after being on the phone for 30 minutes I get them to locate the pick up. Now we get a new pick up time an hour and 45 minutes past the original time. I don’t believe the dispatchers have a feeling what it’s like to be on the road with a broken down vehicle and trying to get it picked up. I might as well just call it local tow truck company myself and get a faster response than going through Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I would not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: June 6, 2018

About a year ago, we had a breakdown at the GA/SC border on I-95. The closest tow truck was approx 80 miles away so we had to pay 1 way of that. Our truck was never towed (they went to get coolant for the radiator) and it still cost us over $400.00. TODAY, I am waiting for a two truck for my 4-Runner and ask to be taken to my mechanic approx 5 miles away. Their answer is they take to closest place (1 mile) so again I am paying $60 for a simple tow. Called over an hour ago - no one could tell me how long it would take and only that she was, "Sorry I was having a bad day." Will never renew this membership; it's worthless.

Original review: June 6, 2018

After reading the other reviews I consider myself lucky because I was placing my service call from home not the side of the highway! Their agents are disagreeable and seem to be working from their trailers by the noise in the background. Very unprofessional demeanors. I called for a jumpstart on my conversion schoolie and was immediately questioned about bathroom and kitchen. They said they would decide what service was appropriate and if it was unsuccessful then too bad, the incident only got one response even if it doesn’t work. When they could not get out of service that way they said it had been sitting too long (parked over the winter like many motorhomes).

I used this company on the early 2000s for my Airstream and they were always helpful and responsive. I don’t know what happened but now they are only interested in the membership fee and refusing service on any grounds they can come up with. In fairness, I did manage to get my dues refunded after a long discussion with membership services, however it is now very inconvenient as I must wait 6 days for AAA to cover me and I was planning a trip for day after tomorrow thinking I had roadside assistance. It appears that long standing members will be treated better than new ones which is probably illegal also.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Had a tire blowout on i44 (turnpike) in Oklahoma. After a long conversation providing my information I was told Good Sam could not assist me to get help changing a tire. The person on the phone gave me phone number for help on the turnpike. Number ended up be a useless unattended number with no voicemail. I was told to call 911 if I was in a dangerous situation for help. The money I spent was a waste. Left to fend for myself. Cancelled my AAA account when I got Good Sam. Big mistake, don't waste your money dealing with uninformed people.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased a Good Sam Membership in 5-17 paid through 5-19. I received a letter in the mail on 5-8-18 stating that my membership has been canceled. The letter stated "We make assumptions pertaining to the average costs associated with individual memberships and from time to time memberships are canceled where individual membership costs significantly exceed those averages. Unfortunately, your membership utilization falls outside our normal guidelines and as such we have reluctantly canceled your membership." I would not recommend getting Good Sam if there is a chance you might use them. It is fine for them to take your money but not fine for you to use their services. Pay a little more and get AAA. They are much more reliable.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchased my plan 3 months ago. This week my campervan broke down 1200 miles from home, in Marion Illinois. I called for assistance and my call was answered promptly by a delightful lady named Tracy. She was friendly, sympathetic and professional. Since it was late Friday afternoon, I asked if I could just be towed to a nearby campground. She called and made a reservation for me at Marion RV Park. She called a mechanic and got me an appointment there for Monday morning. As it turned out, I needed a new engine on my 1984 van. The campground manager, Julie, was wonderful, and the local mechanic shop that she recommended was the same one that Tracy had already gotten me an appointment with. My first experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance was 100% positive!

Original review: April 30, 2018

Purchased a brand new Outdoors RV 20RD with 1 year Good Sam Roadside Assistance. One week old, first trip out and the wheel bearing disintegrated and destroyed the axle. Good SAM could not find anyone within 150 miles of us that could tow a travel trailer because it was "too long" (24 feet). We were 80 miles from the Denver metro area. Spent two days stranded and finally had to start calling tow companies on our own. Had the trailer towed home to Denver. Spend the next three days trying to get Good Sam to tow it from our house to the dealer (5 miles). Now they refused to tow it as it was new and should be "covered under warranty". Had to again get our own towing company. Good Sam is worthless.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have been Good Sam members for six years. Roadside assistance, regular membership, even extended warranty coverage on our RV. Recently had a dead battery and called them for a jump start. They sent a kid out with one of those pre-charged battery jump devices. It would not turn the motor over, I am assuming due to being undercharged. I asked him more than once if he was sure it had been charged up before coming out to which he said it had been. Called up the lady in dispatch, explained situation to her, she said, "Sorry you have used your one occurrence call for the day," and hung up.

Called supervisor in dispatch. He had the ultimate I don't care attitude. Called roadside assist through my Insurance who sent out someone with a properly charged device, car started right up. I feel like I saw Good Sam for what it really was that day, completely phony and far from their touted reputation they like to convey. Steer clear and go with another company.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This company has you sign up for their service and pay for it, however according to them. If you use service too much and they don't get their money enough you get dropped and bad name. I think this company should be shut down and have action taken against them for treating consumers so poorly. They want their money but they don't want to serve you. Any amount is too much for them. I will not accept them doing this. Other's should file to have them shut down. They are very disreputable company and have very poor business tactics. I'm not the only who had complained.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance expert review by Lauren Fix

Known for its roadside assistance services for RVs, boat trailers and motorbikes, apart from standard passenger vehicles, Good Sam Roadside Assistance offers support in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

• Unlimited towing miles: Members can get their vehicle towed to the nearest repair shop without worrying about towing miles.

• Travel-interruption expenses: If a vehicle breaks down 100 or more miles away from home, the service pays for expenses like food and lodgings.

• Automatically family coverage: All membership plans come with automatic coverage for spouse and children below 25 years of age.

• Discounts: Members are entitled to discounts at repair shops, car rental services and at more than 7,000 lodgings.

• Medical help: The service helps members find medical and legal help in case of emergencies on the road.

• Best for: Good Sam Roadside Assistance is best for families with multiple drivers, frequent vacationers and adventurers. It is designed for RV owners too.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Company Information

www.goodsamroadside.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business