Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

123 Good Sam Roadside Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Recently, we had an issue with our slides not operating in our 7 month old RV. We called Good Sam for assistance, and They sent someone from Culpeper to address the problem. Unfortunately, this individual had no clue of what he was doing, my husband and father in law had to assist him in diagnosing the issue. They discovered that one of the wires was defected. He removed the wire, and ordered new parts for the next day. However, after he installed the new parts issue was not resolved. He continued to troubleshoot with no resolution. Eventually, my husband had him stop due to the hourly charge. Good Sam you are sending out incompetent servicemen costing consumers additional money. Our total bill totaled $895 and our issue is still an issue. Also, we had a flat tire in September, customer service gave my husband a piss poor excuse on limited services and he ended up changing the tire solo. Thank goodness for options.

DaTruthHurts,

Thank you for contacting Good Sam Roadside Assistance and providing your feedback. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your full name, Good Sam membership number, and your phone number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Update on 12/15/2018: I appreciate Ella from Good Sam wanting me to contact her. I have responded as she requested. It remains to be seen if she is genuinely engaging to help, or doing a PR response. I'm hopeful that she will give meaningful assistance!!

Original: Up to today, would have given Good Sam 4 stars. But received a letter today from Robert **, Claims Department, Good Sam Roadside Assistance, CANCELLING YOUR MEMBERSHIP IN 10 DAYS. I'm a Good Sam Lifetime member. I've been a paid member of GS Roadside Assistance for 7 years. In Nov. 2018 we had an engine breakdown on my 31' Class A in WV and needed a 24 mile tow to closest international dealer. Estimate to fix is $13,000 CND. It appears that Good Sam will promise to be of assistance until you need the assistance. WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU, THE PROMISE IS FOR MINOR ASSISTANCE. Appreciate the tow, which GS was most reluctant to provide at the time. They had trouble getting a tow company, because of GS's reputation in the industry. I eventually had to negotiate it. I've been dumped and that's good for only ONE STAR!!

Hello Ron,

We will look into this matter further.

Ella

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

A couple years ago, I had a blow out on our right front tire. I was at milepost 39 on I-80 in Nebraska, besides having a hard time even communicating with them, they left us sitting alongside the freeway all night (14 Hours). I finally was able to find help myself. I subsequently cancelled my plan. Well after two years I decided to try them again. I have tire minders on my motorhome which as I arrived at my RV park, Thousand Trails in Palm Desert, CA my tire minder said I had a flat, it wasn't all the way flat but like 1/2 down.

I called Good Sam to help me out only to find out that unless you have an inflated spare, which how many 40 foot motorhomes carry a spare, that it would cost me a minimum of $80 service fee for labor, they never told me that the road service was only covered if I had an inflated spare. Anyway, I just cancelled again and will never have anything to do with Good Sam again and suggest that you don't either, they are a rip off.

Hello Bill,

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue. We set a high standard for ourselves and are sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Please provide your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and your phone number. We will look into this matter further.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I received a letter and offer to join a Good Sam program called Tire and Wheel Road Hazard Program for Motorhomes and Trailers which was to be if you have a tire and or a wheel damaged to where it can't be used that I would pay for it to be replaced while traveling and Good Sam Tire and Wheel Protection would reimburse me for the costs for the damaged tire or wheel. On Oct 2, 2018 I had a tire to blow on I-75 in North Georgia. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I paid them $390.00 which included the technician service call, new tire, new valve stem, and old tire disposal fee.

The next day Oct 3, 2018 I made my first call trying to be reimbursed. They told me they needed the DOT # on the old tire! I called the Good Year in Georgia and got it and for a month I spoke to "7" of the company's representatives and finally on Nov 8, 2018 was told that I didn't have a claim because I was to keep the blown tire as evidence. I explained, "You charged me and I paid for the tire to be disposed and besides that I'm in Florida and you're in Colorado, how am I supposed to get it there?" And I didn't have it. They charged me $12.00 disposal fee so why would I keep the tire. They said they had to verify what the tire looked like, I explained, "I'm in Florida. You're in Colorado. How are you going to look at the tire." I have spoken to "7" Good Sam representatives to be told I had no claim for $179.00 reimbursement.

Hello Billy,

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue. We set a high standard for ourselves and are sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Please provide your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and your phone number. We will look into this reimbursement matter further.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I bought a new RV Road Warrior 420 by Heartland in 2016. My wife and I thought it would be a good idea to carry the extra coverage after our warranty ran out. We took it to Camping World to have repairs done. The automatic leveling system wasn’t working correctly. It would go into to error code and would not level up the RV. We had a condensation drip in the back a/c unit. The converter stopped working, and there was a plumbing leak in the storage area, there was a short in the 220 volt plug on the side of the RV for the power cord. Total repair cost was $750.

Good Sam would not pay anything on the repairs. Camping World said they have a way to get out of the repairs. I think they are together on this. They told me at first there would not be a problem with Good Sam and they would submit the claim but when I went to get my RV they said Good Sam had a clause in their coverage that didn’t cover those type of repairs. Don’t waste your money on Good Sam's coverage.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your time, I apologize for the experience you have had with Good Sam. Please provide your contact and membership number in a private message. I will look into this matter further.

Ella

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Good Sam Roadside Assistance?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We have been trying to cancel our Good Sam Roadside Assistance and our tire and wheel assistance since 8/12/18. Good Sam won't cancel it. They say go back to dealership. Dealership said go to Good Sam. The person I spoke to at Good Sam said you are just stuck with it. Not their problem. Don’t deal with them. You will waste your money.

Hello Teresa,

Thank you for your time and feedback, I apologize for the experience you are having trying to cancel the roadside assistance and tire and wheel protection plans. Please allow me to look into this matter further. Please provide your Good Sam membership number and best contact phone number.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I called for a 19 mile tow to my mechanic and was told it would be an extra $79.00. When I got this it clearly stated up to 100 miles. The agent told me they only tow to the nearest repair shop. So take my vehicle to a repair shop I know nothing about instead of my mechanic shop that I know do good work. I can pay for my own tow if I have to pay an additional $79.00 for 19 miles. Had this for 2 years first time trying to use it and will not use it again or renew. I have had other roadside assistant companies that honor their 100 miles and never had a problem. Don't go for cheaper, it's not better.

Hello Jacque,

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Please provide us with your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and your phone number. We will look into this matter further.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Updated on 1/14/2018 : In a matter of hours Good Sam sent a sorrowful message about how contrite they were and that they'd work w/ me if only I'd send my membership and phone numbers. I responded quickly w/ that info. It has been days with no further response from them. Reminds me of sitting in my car in the cold and rain waiting for them to tell us they weren't going to try to help us. They NEVER called. We had to call them! It is clear that they feel that all they have to do is to seem to be helpful. "Send your money and, when you need help, we'll SEEM to be helpful." Thanks a lot.

Original Review: Our car battery went dead in a parking lot in the middle of a good sized city. Assistance was within walking distance. However, it was cold and raining hard so we opted to make use of our Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership. After a phone call we were assured that a “rescuer” was on the way and would arrive within the hour. To cut a long story short, we waited over two hours and no one showed. When we called back, Good Sam told us they were unable to provide a “rescuer” because their single source vendor was “busy! They didn't know when or if he could jump our battery.” We handled the situation on our own from that point and within twenty minutes we're back on the road. A complaint to Good Sam was met by complete disinterest. Yes, they would pay the $45 we spent, but were unwilling to make good on their broken promises. I’ll think twice before renewing my membership.

Hello John,

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Please provide your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and your phone number. We will look into this matter further.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was in northern Georgia when I notice a broke spring hanger. I called Good Sam for assistants and they were quick to send out some to repair my trailer. That's where it ends with them happy with the service. Then when the so called repair person came out it was the worst experience of my life. 7 hrs and $ 1,300.00 to repair that broke after 100 miles. After a number of calls to Good Sam regarding this all I am being told there is nothing they can do. They could at least call the repair company and help me out getting a refund. Once my membership expires that the end of me and Good Sam. Not a happy camper.

Bill,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your Good Sam Roadside experience. I am very sorry you were unhappy with the service and I would like to look into this for you. Please provide your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My son locked his keys in the car and needed assistance to get it open. We had GS Platinum service and all driving family members included. He called GS for assistance and they said they would dispatch someone right away. He was in Ventura at school in a densely populated area so you figure help us close by. Two hours later, his phone is dying because his charger is locked in the car too, and nobody has shown up to help. I started calling GS to get a status and was disconnected 2 times. The third time I was on hold for 25 minutes before hanging up because nobody answered. He was just about to call AAA using a friend’s card when help rolled up. No apology, nothing. They open the car and drive away. I called the next day and canceled. Never going back. Never recommending. A one-star review does not do them justice.

Hello Todd,

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in you and your son's interaction with us. Please send a private message with your past Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and your phone number. We will look into this matter further.

Ella

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I read all of these reports and see the “I’m Sorry” replies which are basically meaningless because nothing changes. I won’t elaborate on our issue because they want us to sign a confidentiality agreement that states that we can’t talk about it nor disclose the amount of money we were reimbursed. Haven’t signed it yet. Is anyone on here a lawyer and knows if we have any legal rights? Would love to see a class action lawsuit for fraud or something? Consumers are traveling down the road thinking that they have great coverage until they need it and then find out they are stranded.

Hello Linda,

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue. We set a high standard for ourselves and apologize that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Please provide your Good Sam Roadside Assistance number, we will look into this matter further.

Ella

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Had towing service for 100 miles, I called looking for better price they changed to nearest shop (5 mile towing only!). I called customer service no help so I cancelled! I told them I want same service at a better price, I got it elsewhere.

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Please send a private message with your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and your phone number. We will look into this matter further.

Resolution response: Oct. 31, 2018

Yesterday, a representative from the Good Sam roadside Assistance contacted me from the state of Colorado. He wanted to see what he could do in response to my review based on my experience last week with what I considered a "terrible" experience with getting my disabled vehicle towed not only in a timely manner, but at all!

We had a pleasant conversation and he said the calls were recorded and that it was a teachable moment and they were going to follow up on the tow operator who hung up on me twice, but as well, the time and effort it took to understand the problems that I experienced. I get it and am appreciative of the follow up phone call. In addition he offered to refund my platinum service and offered to give my family a free GSRA year subscription. I accepted. Not because they rewarded my terrible experience, but because the associate was kind and responsive to my experience was the deciding factor. I consider this matter "resolved" and hope that the future will be brighter for anyone else who happens to use GSRA and I will be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and contact them if and when necessary. THANK YOU! consumer Affairs for making my voice heard and helping with this entire experience. It it with great gratitude, that you are here and available to help people in their daily lives.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Today is October 25, 2018. At Approximately 12:20 PM this afternoon I requested roadside assistance for my Toyota Sequoia which needed a tow to a service station 10 minutes away. After 3 HOURS I called another service and got my car towed in less than 20 minutes. During my three hour wait, I contacted SRA and they kept telling me that he would be there in 45 minutes. 45-50 MINUTES AGAIN AFTER THREE HOURS they tell me! They finally called me at 4:29 pm and said a tow driver was waiting. LOL! Not only was my car in the shop already, I was already home and calling AAA for membership. I left AAA after 27 years for that crap! Never waited more than 30 minutes with AAA. First thing I did was renew with AAA when I got home! DO NOT USE GOOD SAM ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Hello Terry,

We will look into this matter further.

Ella

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Due to poor night vision my wife needed assistance inflating a tire with low pressure. I contacted Good Sam and after an arduous process of requesting dispatch (The dispatcher asked if HHR was an acronym and asked me to wait while he over-road the computer because it did not recognize Chevy). Good Sam contacted my wife and told her that they would only tow the car to the location of their choice. When I called the customer service department to explain that my wife only need assistance inflating a tire I was told that Good Sam did not provide this service.

They would either tow the car or replace the tire. I responded by saying that when I had AAA they provided such service only to be told that Good Sam Roadside Assistance was #1 and AAA was #5 and that it was my fault for not understanding the service which I had purchased. The customer service representative then started making wisecracks about how it was not "his" company that was providing the poor service. In the end my wife was able to get her tire inflated via the help of a kind stranger, and when I called to cancel it took less time for the company cancel the service with no apologies and a pro-rated refund than it did for them to dispatch assistance.

Hello Lenwood,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your wife's experience and would like to look into this further. Please provide your membership and contact number in a private message.

Ella

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Our Heartland RV frame started falling apart going down a state highway in Maine. We pulled into a rest area and realized this unit is no longer safe to tow. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance to have someone come and tow this safely to a repair center. The lady on the phone said, "if you can't tow it, neither can we." Really? Then what good is roadside assistance and why are we paying for it? She said she would get in touch with an RV mechanic that would contact me for pictures to see if he could help.

She put me on hold, then came back with the phone number of a mechanic and told me to text him some photos and he will see if he can help us. I texted him the photos, waited about 30 minutes then called him but he didn't answer. I left a message and he never called back. After a couple of hours waiting, we finally searched for the nearest campground and took our chances on getting there safely, which thankfully we did, no thanks to Good Sam. We never heard from them again until I let our membership expire. Now they are anxious to talk to me to find out why I didn't renew it. Unbelievable!

Heather,

Thank you for contacting Good Sam. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into it. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My wife and I are getting ready to take a trip in our fifth wheel trailer, I looked online for roadside coverage and decided on Good Sam. I signed up and they charged my card and said I would get a temp GS card in my email, when I did not get it I called and the lady I talked to about it was very curt with me and then asked what exactly do I want, I said the temp card, she asked my email then just said nothing more and hung up on me.

I did not like that kind of service so I called back to cancel, I had to talk to 4 people to do that, finally they said that my $ 189.35 would be returned, I asked for a confirmation # and got one, after looking at my bank online I saw another $10.00 charge so I called again and they said, "OK that will be refunded too in 5 to 7 days." I just won't do business with a company that is curt with customers. I understand some people have bad days, but leave it at home, I was afraid that if I did have a problem on the road trip they would be hard to deal with, that is why I cancelled.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

While traveling to PA, my husband and I broke down near Roanoke, VA. We were told a tow truck would be here within 90 min to take our truck to a dealership and our RV to a campground. After we waited, we got a call saying they couldn’t find anyone to tow our 5th wheel so we’d have to be responsible for the $125/hr mechanic roadside service call and it would be another 90 minute wait. Very disappointing. This is the first time we ever made a call and this is what a platinum membership is all about?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

After storing my motorhome in Bradenton Florida for six months in 2018 I found that my battery was dead. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance and they sent a guy from Tampa to check the battery. The battery was indeed dead and he replaced it with another one that had no label and did not appear to be new. But I didn't say anything. When he handed me the bill I nearly fell backwards. It was over $500. He charged me around $259 for the battery, another $100 or so for the service and then another $100 for mileage between Tampa and Bradenton, despite the fact that he had several other service calls in Bradenton that day. He probably charged each customer for the mileage.

I felt robbed and cheated. I have been in Maine since June 2018 and I have had to replace that battery because it died. I had it replaced and the mechanics found that the guy in Florida had broken one of the terminals. The mechanics in Maine repaired everything, including putting in a new battery, for a total charge of $145. Good Sam Roadside Assistance needs to screen its service providers more carefully because the guy in Florida was a dishonest scam artist who needs to be kicked off of Good Sam's service providers list. Because of this incident, I am now reluctant to call Good Sam and will most likely not renew my membership.

Helmut,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into what happened. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership and your phone number.

Thanks,

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I called since I was having issues with my batteries. Spent over an hour on the phone as they discussed the difference in sending a jumper versus mechanic. When asking about the cost of mechanics and who pays for what, their CS person suggested I talk to membership since I am an ELITE member and sometimes they can change things (her suggestion not mine). In all I was transferred to 6 different people and most seemed confused until I talked to a manager. He said -- "Look I will give you an ultimatum" (his word not mine). It was no different than what I had been told earlier -- they wasted my time and money. As soon as my service ends at the end of the year I will NOT be renewing -- that's my ULTIMATUM! There are more customer oriented services out there -- this happened to be free with my purchase -- but it did end up costing me!

James,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Thanks,

Stacy

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My wife and daughter were stranded at night in a disabled vehicle. She called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. They were told the policy was canceled due to using it. We never received notification - only that we were upgraded to platinum. My wife was hung up on. After being hung up on several times, I talked to a supervisor. There was nothing they could do. No compassion even when I said I'd pay for it. They said to call 911 and get a tow. Really?!? Thanks a lot Good Sam... Good riddance.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the experience your wife and daughter have had, we would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Ella

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Much like other reviews we were told multiple times that someone was on the way, then to be told they canceled. After calling around on our own for someone to tow our 42’ diesel pusher after an accident we were told that Good Sam had contacted them, but refused to pay the towing company’s rates. No one had ever been “on the way”. After 8 hours of being lied to, we started trying to contract someone on our own. We finally found someone and called Good Sam to let them know that we found someone. However, they didn’t realize it was a 42 footer and couldn’t do it, so we called Good Sam and let them know we would still need help. They called back and said they had found someone.

Then a supervisor called and said that since we said they didn’t need to come out several hours before, they were going to cancel the service and leave us stranded. They claimed they paid for service already and wouldn’t pay again. We called the people they supposedly paid and they said it never happened, that they called them 20 times trying to get them to reduce their rate to the point where the towing company hung up on Good Sam. They paid for Platinum service, we got zero service, just 11 1/2 hours of lies. They say they have recordings of all the conversations and they would review the tapes, that was 4 hours ago. We are still stranded, they have zero interest in helping us due to the cost. I feel like this is a huge scam that will need a lawyer to resolve. Based on the other reviews, it might be a class action.

Hello Jeanette,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the experience you're having. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Ella

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

After camping for a week we were packed and ready to go. At 9 am my camper would crank but the engine would not start, after checking the emergency fuel cutoff to ensure it was not activated I tried once again to start the camper. It was at this point the first call was made to Good Sam, I was given instructions to try to start which of course did not work, then I was instructed to try to start from auxiliary battery which did not work either but the person on the phone would not accept my word that the batteries were fine, instead she said they would send out someone to give USA double battery jump. An hour later a guy showed up, examined the vehicle, tried a few tricks and determined the fuel pump was probably bad.

Another call back to Good Sam and a good 10 to 15-minute hold which became the standard before we could speak to our service person. She asked for more information regarding our RV which we gave as a 34 ft class C Four Winds Chateau, at that point she said she would have to send out a wrecker as there we no local mechanics who would do an on-site repair. We were told a wrecker would be to us within an hour and a half to 2 hours, after 2 1/2 hours we called again and were told the wrecker had canceled and another was on its way. No reason given for the cancellation. Again we wait and no wrecker, yet another phone call and we’re told this wrecker canceled also and another was coming but would not be there for 2 more hours.

By this time we had waited five hours for a wrecker, finally the wrecker arrived but his hydraulic pump engine would not start, he messed around for 30-45 minutes until he finally was able to start the motor. We had contacted a shop in town to repair our vehicle that morning and they were expecting us, we gave the wrecker driver the name and we proceeded to the shop, we pulled in there at 5:15 pm 8 hours after our first call. Fortunately one mechanic was just getting ready to leave and was able to take care of the RV. The mechanic shook his head as our vehicle was being backed in and he said ”We were told this was a class A home, had they told me correctly we could have towed it this morning and probably have it fixed by now."

Of course this put us in the position of having to get a room for the night and wait until morning before the RV could be looked at, by 10:00 am we were informed the fuel pump had indeed failed and they were searching for one, if they found one it would be the middle of the afternoon and the vehicle would be ready to go. Without anywhere we could go as we had our dog with us we were forced to take the motel room for another night even though we would be headed home. We ended up paying for 2-night motel fees, lost a day and all because the service person did not listen to the information given her. Thankfully we researched the mechanic and decided on him not the one Good Sam was recommending, we might still be stranded.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the experience you have had, we would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Ella

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Not impressed at all with our first experience. Waited 3 1/2 hours without shade in 97 degrees on the interstate. The person on the phone was not helpful at all and they did not return calls like they said they would. The fuel injection pump went out on our tow rig (F650 flat bed that had a Polaris Ranger and a Ford Ranger on it pulling a 27 1/2 ft travel trailer). We called immediately and told them we were on the busy interstate with no shade and it was very hot out. I was made to take pictures of both sides of our vehicle (which meant standing out on the interstate to get the one) and the license plate. Mind you, we tried to explain that we could see the next exit and you COULD NOT miss our rig. Well, no callback as promised.

Finally, we got a call from the tow company. Yay! They said they were on a call and would be there in about 1/2 hour. After that call, Good Sam called to tell us they found someone and told us where we were getting towed to. Even after sending the pictures to them to show how big our rig was they never told the tow company so they showed up with a flatbed. The guy was shaking his head and apologized and said he would be back with a semi wrecker and another tow truck to pull the camper. You would have at least thought Good Sam would have told them what we had or sent the pictures so the tow company could have the right information. Anyway, the tow company was great and the place we were towed to went above and beyond to get us on the road again. I honestly thought we would be cooked on the side of the road before someone would get to us through with no contact from Good Sam.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance response

Apologies for the lack of service. I would like to investigate further and resolve on your behalf. Please call 1-800-234-3450 and ask for the Roadside team. Thanks in advance.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I recently had to call Good Sam for a tire blowout. After getting a return call from their contractor they wanted $345.00 to come out to replace tire. I have tire coverage and roadside assistance insurance through Good Sam. I ended up changing tire myself on the side of the interstate. Went to get tire replaced with insurance and could not find anyone to take it. I had to buy tires out of pocket, now that we are home tried to get reimbursed. They said since I did not get prior approval no refund.

They said tire company had to call them first, I told them they all refused to call, I told them I cannot force someone to call and we were in need of tires. They said my problem. Good Sam is a total waste of money, go with AAA and you will be better off. I will never deal with them again and I am cancelling all policies with them and requesting refunds. I am also going to file in small claims court that they make it impossible to get your refund on tire you have to buy and do not honor their roadside assistance program by wanting money upfront to respond.

Hello Jerry,

Ella

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Labor Day morning 2018 in Sparks, Nevada I called Roadside Assistance for the first time since enrolling. I reported a dead engine battery and requested a jump start, whereupon, I was informed they would have somebody call me back shortly for my location details. Two hours later, a family friend came to our assistance and after about an hour we got the battery charged enough to start our diesel rig. Ten days later, after our trip, I contacted Good Sam Roadside Assistance and was asked when I finally heard from the people they sent out and I informed them I was STILL WAITING! I NEVER received contact from anybody. At that point, I was told an investigation was to be opened and I would hear from someone in 3-5 days... again no communication and it has been since Sept 11, 2018 (8 days). At this point I have no faith in the company's services and am looking elsewhere for coverage. "Good Sam" turned out to be "Bad Sam".

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize you have not been contacted and for the experience you have had. I would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Ella

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I get a cancellation letter in August when my membership was good until December of 2018. When I called regarding the cancellation I ended up asking to talk to a supervisor because the person on the phone said that he COULD NOT TELL ME why I was cancelled, it was above his paygrade. The supervisor told me that I had used them 4 times in a year and they did not want me to be able to use them ANYMORE. They said they had the right to cancel someone at anytime for no reason at all and that there was nothing I could do and it is what it is... ** SO FRUSTRATING. YOU PAY FOR A SERVICE AND ACTUALLY USE THE SERVICE YOU PAY FOR AND THEY SAY NOOO. Basically, pay for a service and don't use it will make them happy. I will NEVER recommend Good Sam Roadside Assistance to my worst enemy.

Hello Dee Anna,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize your membership was cancelled, I would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Resolution response: Oct. 10, 2018

BUYER BEWARE!!! We have not come to a satisfactory resolution to our situation. GSR did respond to our review promptly stating that they would investigate and respond quickly. After another nearly 4 weeks of inaction we still hadn't heard anything further from them, so we called them. We were told we would have a response within 24 hours...and for a change, they actually did!! Problem is they didn't truly investigate anything AGAIN! They "reviewed" all the correspondence and simply denied the claim AGAIN. They didn't bother to call any of the witnesses to the events of that evening...AGAIN!

As we stated previously, we will NEVER, EVER recommend Good Sam Roadside to anyone and we will go out of our way to direct others to search elsewhere. If there was a negative star rating to give this company we would do that!! These people are more than happy to take your money and deny claims for their inadequate performance. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY DO NOT LIVE UP TO THE STATEMENTS IN THEIR BENEFIT BROCHURE!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We will never recommend Good Sam Roadside to anyone ever again! In fact we will go out of our way to encourage anyone we talk to that they should look elsewhere for roadside assistance! We will tell them that Good Sam is more than happy to take your money, but when it comes to living up to the terms of the agreement and taking care of you in your time of need, they are a complete and utter failure. Here’s why we feel this way:

On a RAINY April 22, 2018 day our truck and fifth wheel (rig) became stuck in a jackknifed position in the mud at Seven Points Campground (Army Corps of Engineer Park) in Tennessee while trying to back into our assigned campsite. We contacted Good Sam Roadside (GSR) for assistance with getting pulled out (known as recovery services). We were asked several questions pertaining to the size and weight of our truck and fifth wheel so the correct equipment could be sent to perform the job.

GSR was told that our truck and tri-axle rig weigh a combined 33,000lbs and are in excess of 60’ long. An Army Corps employee who was working at the campground also spoke with GSR and emphasized that it was going to take a heavy duty truck that was capable of pulling us out as well as having the capability of lifting the rig off the ground to line it up with pavement so we could drive out safely without the possibility of getting stuck again. (This employee used to drive a wrecker and has seen many trucks and rigs in messy situations so he is very experienced as to what was going to be required.)

The tow truck company that GSR contacted called to let us know he was getting ready to head our way. During this phone call, the same Corps employee spoke directly to the tow truck operator and made sure he was aware of the size and length of our truck and rig and that he was going to have to be able to pull and lift us. In spite of all the warnings about the size and weight of our truck and rig, GSR sent a light duty tow truck that wasn’t equipped with a boom for the purpose of lifting.

This tow truck wasn’t any bigger than our own F350 Dually truck. When the Corps employee met the tow truck at the entrance gate he told the tow truck operator his “little” truck was not going to be able complete the task at hand. He was guided by the Corps employee to where we were and upon arriving at the site, the tow truck operator admitted to the Corps employee that he wasn’t equipped to successfully get us out but he was going to try anyway. All he wanted was to get paid for coming out!

The tow truck hooked on with his winch and was able to pull us backward so that the rigs tires were on the pavement however, we were still in a jackknifed position and the truck was still in the mud and unable to get traction to proceed safely. Because of trees, other rigs and site marker posts, if we tried to move forward we’d end up in the same position we were in. If we tried to move backward we would end up in a ditch on the other side of the road. We were now fully blocking the road and with the campground having only one way in and out, we could not remain in this position. At this point, the tow truck operator attempted to drag (not lift) our 23,000lb rig sideways across the asphalt. This attempt obviously failed as he was woefully underequipped for the task. The operator then told me to pull our truck forward in an effort to straighten the trucks alignment with the rig.

The operator then attempted to pull the truck and rig back while I tried to steer into a position to drive out. This back and forth action was done several times but the situation was getting worse and eventually the rig's nose got smashed down on to the bed rail of the truck and both sustained damage. At this point we were completely stuck… The operator could not pull us back at all and we were in a worse position than we were in originally. Let me repeat… The operator was an active participant in this final effort. The operator stated that we were going to need a heavy hauler to get us out… A much larger truck with boom lift capabilities. We did not sign, nor asked to sign, nor did we receive any paperwork whatsoever that acknowledged anything that had transpired. The tow truck operator then left.

We then called GSR and told them that the truck they sent was not the right kind of wrecker to have been sent and requested they send a heavy hauler. GSR said they needed to check with the tow truck to get his statement. GSR called us back and declined to send a heavy hauler stating that the tow truck driver told GSR that he had gotten us up on the road and we got ourselves stuck again. GSR stated they had fulfilled their obligation, and we were now on our own.

We then contacted a heavy hauler on our own and the next morning (after we spent the night in our truck) they were able to get us out in less than 2 hours. The heavy hauler operator pulled us back onto pavement. He then lifted the rear end of the rig with his boom so all 6 of the rig's tires were off the ground while simultaneously pulling the rig sideways so the rig and truck were more in alignment as well as being lined up with more pavement. Then the tow truck operator relocated his truck and pulled the rig and truck back even further so the truck and rig were straight and on pavement so we were then able to drive out of the campground. The heavy hauler operator was able to get us out of a worse situation and at the same time not cause any more damage to our truck and rig. This is what should have been done in the first place!

On May 4th we submitted a claim to GSR for the cost of the heavy hauler for $850.00. In addition we submitted repair estimates for our truck ($1500.00) and rig ($4050.00). The damage we incurred was directly related to GSR sending out the undersized equipment. Had the proper equipment been sent in the first place, there would not have been any damage whatsoever. To back up our claim we furnished pictures of the situation before and after the first tow truck, the damage to the truck and rig, receipt from the heavy hauler, a marked map showing the position of the truck and rig, pictures of the original tow truck as well as the heavy hauler. We also offered the names and telephone numbers of the Army Corp employee, the heavy hauler operator as well as another Army Corp employee (who was redirecting traffic while all this was going on) all of whom were witnesses what had happened.

One week later (May 11th), we were contacted by the GSR damage team contact (otherwise known as the ‘claim denial team’) with the result of the claim. He informed us the claim was being denied, yet he did not offer any explanation (reasonable or otherwise) as to why or how this decision was reached. We asked if he had spoken to any of the witnesses whose names and numbers we had furnished and he replied that he had not. He even made the statement that “it was our fault for getting stuck in the mud in the first place”. He was very rude and belligerent.

Needless to say, we were very upset with the finding on the claim, but also with the rude and belligerent behavior of the damage team contact. We spent the next several weeks trying to contact someone “up the food chain” to whom we could plead our case to. This ended up being a total waste of time. We were promised that the matter would be looked into further and calls would be returned. Nothing of the sort happened. We were just being told anything to get us off the phone.

The wording in the Good Sam Roadside Assistance Member Benefit Brochure regarding towing is as follows: “For each disablement event under this agreement, member is entitled two hours of either Towing Preparation Services or Recovery Services. Recovery Services include winch-out or extrication services to allow the vehicle to proceed safely under its own power”. Good Sam Roadside also claims (in their brochure) that their “representatives are specifically trained to answer questions about RV complexities and how to handle vehicle disablement situations. Explain the vehicle’s problem so we can send the proper equipment to assist you.”

Good Sam Roadside didn’t even come close to upholding their end of the agreement for us. They sent out an underequipped little tow truck when the situation called for a much larger truck equipped with not only a winch, but a boom for lifting based on the information they were given in the original call. If they had, we wouldn’t have over $5500 in property damage and an $850 out of pocket tow truck charge. We were at the mercy of Good Sam Roadside Assistance that they would send out the right equipment.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the situation you have had and would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam Roadside Assistance number and your contact number. We will look into this situation further.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Updated on 12/03/2018: I have been attempting to settle this matter with Good Sam Roadside Assistance for 5 months. Good Sam contacted a company by the name of Certified Towing in Live Oak Fl. to tow the motorhome to the repair shop. My motorhome was damaged when they got the wrecker boom stuck under the motorhome and used the leveling jacks to try to get the boom out from under the motorhome. Good Sam turned the complaint over Allstate roadside assistance. Peter ** of Allstate called me a number of times and decided that the damage was not caused by the tow company, without even having coming out to look at the damage. Also a very rude person and hung up on me twice when I disagreed with him.

I called Safeco, my insurance co. They sent a person out immediately. He crawled under the motorhome and immediately spotted the damage. Safeco sent me check for the damage, minus the $500 deductible in a week. Read my previous review of Good Sam and you will see the nightmare from the beginning. Good Sam doesn't stand behind their contract if the company they choose (not your choice) damages your vehicle. I am totally dissatisfied with Good Sam and will no longer use their towing insurance. I have also canceled My Allstate car insurance And will no longer make purchases from Camping World.

Original Review: My 40 ft. motorhome broke a steering box in Live Oak Fl. I called dispatch on Friday June 22 2018 and asked them to tow my motorhome on Monday June 25 2018, so we could spend the weekend, since we were 250 miles from home. I was told if I wanted the RV towed Monday, I would have to call back on Monday. After calling back on Monday, about 3 hrs later Certified Towing showed. The driver said, he was told by Good Sam's the motorhome was a C not A 40 ft. class A. I have had Good Sam's towing for 10 years and they don't know it is a 32,000 pound class A diesel pusher. The motorhome didn't get towed until Tuesday June 26, because the owner of Certified Towing was at a baseball game and couldn't come until the next day.

After 4 hours, a $1147.00 leveling jack, bent entrance steps and a damaged chrome exhaust. My motorhome did get towed the next day. With all this Good Sam's is not taking responsibility. Also getting someone in their damage claims dept. to call back is almost impossible. Like I mentioned earlier. I have been their customer over 10 years. I hope someone with Good Sam's reads this and decides to help one of their longtime customers.

Ed,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and a phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

On 9-10-18 we blew a bearing on our 22ft travel trailer while traveling the Western Kentucky Parkway. Myself and my partner have been Good Sam Roadside members since 1995. Called them for a tow of my trailer since I was 15 miles from next exit knowing if I tried to limp there I could do extensive damage. 1st call just got my name, member # and phone # and said dispatcher would call back. Called them back 45 min. later and got a dispatcher. Explained my situation and all seemed to be going well until the following question. "Is your vehicle more than 5 feet from the white line on the side of the road?" I told him we were about 2-3 feet and couldn't go further because of a ditch.

He (Bob) then tells me they can't tow unless we are that 5 feet. As anyone knows that drives on an interstate, the paved shoulder is no wider than 8-10 feet. Your trailer is around 8 feet wide so there is no margin for error especially with a ditch or guardrail. He then says to call 911, get an officer, have them tow me to a parking lot, and then Good Sam will tow me from there! I think NOT. End of call. I call my own wrecker, he says he's not equipped to tow my trailer, but, calls a mobile mechanic for us.

He is there in 10 minutes and 1 hour later he changed 2 sets of bearings and we were back on the road after a total of 5 hours. I have never heard of such a policy and have never been refused help from Good Sam in the past. Obviously something has changed, and it's not for the better. Horrible! In the last day and a half I have traveled on more interstates and 2 lane roads...have only seen a couple areas wide enough...plus it's wet and muddy...horrible policy that is not written anywhere. Going to cancel my roadside assistance.

Ellen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Vehicle needed a jump. Called Good Sam's Roadside Assistance. They sent out a tow company, driver reversed polarity from his jump box to my battery - BLOWING OUT TWO COMPUTERS. Cost me over $2000. Good Sam's is taking NO responsibility to resolve this issue, stating that the damage could not have been caused by the two truck company THEY SENT OUT!!! Those I spoke with at the "claims resolution" department were extremely rude - not willing to help - the last one refused to give me a name and number to his supervisor. Have reached out to the Corporate Office to see if they can assist.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance expert review by Lauren Fix

Known for its roadside assistance services for RVs, boat trailers and motorbikes, apart from standard passenger vehicles, Good Sam Roadside Assistance offers support in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

• Unlimited towing miles: Members can get their vehicle towed to the nearest repair shop without worrying about towing miles.

• Travel-interruption expenses: If a vehicle breaks down 100 or more miles away from home, the service pays for expenses like food and lodgings.

• Automatically family coverage: All membership plans come with automatic coverage for spouse and children below 25 years of age.

• Discounts: Members are entitled to discounts at repair shops, car rental services and at more than 7,000 lodgings.

• Medical help: The service helps members find medical and legal help in case of emergencies on the road.

• Best for: Good Sam Roadside Assistance is best for families with multiple drivers, frequent vacationers and adventurers. It is designed for RV owners too.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Company Information