1.90/5
  • 1 star
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

42 Good Sam Roadside Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I was on an early morning drive to an airport 85 miles away for a business trip. I had non-refundable round trip tickets. My left front wheel broke off. I only had time to call the towing company and a cab. As it was I only made the flight with 12 minutes to spare. I also had to rent a car to get back that evening. Good Sam only paid the towing and refused to pay the taxi and rental. They said it had to be a two vehicle accident to be qualified for trip interruption. Be aware that this is also the case with AAA.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Ok… I want to be clear… At first glance this sounds like a great deal for the traveler... And until you use it… All is great right? Wrong. A few months back I had a claim request for road side service. Nothing but double talk and transfer and transfer and lies. Told them I wanted my monies back. Said they would look into it... A few days I get this message on my email… Saying, “Ugh... Ugh... Sir... I listened to the recording and our people did a fine job.”

Well not so fast there Tim… I too recorded the call and I know what was said and not said. Normally why would anyone record a call? Too time consuming and why. So thankful our phone you just push a button and… wahhhh laagghhh... Instant proof. They lied. Never never never deal with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Not at all what was explained as the benefit. Never really pursued it any further. Not worth the negative time...

However I just received a call to renew after several mailers. Please tell Good Sam to stop the harassment. Terrible company… Had I just put the monthly money aside over the years I could pay cash. After all they just take your money and then you have to fight for claims to be honored. Oh I'm sure there are those that are satisfied… Great for them. Not so much here…

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

On Oct. 7, 2017. As a female, I was traveling with my daughter in my motorhome from Wisconsin to Texas. I had a blowout. Pulled over to a safe area in the small town near Brinkley, Ar. Called GS Roadside Assistance. They were courteous. Stated it would be 1-2 hours. Ok. Told me I had to have both tires replaced since it was on the passenger side (a doubly). Didn’t have a spare. Cost me $933 for 2 Tire replacements. They put on 2 Goodyear (I didn’t specify but gave them my RV tire #s) and they put 3 year warranties, that I didn’t ask for. I asked what was GS paying for? = The trip there. It took the guy 1 hour to get there and 30 minutes to put it on. - for $933! I feel this is taking advantage of & I can do much better on my own. (Recently got a tire from Amazon, sent to me, guy put it on for $40. = total $140 at a park site.)

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My wife and I were on a journey and our Motorhome a 1991 Georgie boy 34' broke down. Go figure right but we had never made a long trip in her so we did not know about roadside assist but for Christmas my mother got us this Good Sam thing. Threw it in the glove box and on our way. Two days into the trip we are now stuck 70 miles away from where we were going. Got the paper out. As it was so new we did not have a card called GS and they were all over this. They called us 6-7 times got us a tow 7 miles from where we broke down and they were going to tow it there for repair.

We ask the tow driver if he could just take it to our destination for us. He said no but he did call GS and they said we will pay for the hookup and the tow 7 miles. If we wanted to pay the difference that was fine with them. So we had this less than 72 hours and got to where we were headed at a cost to us 350.00. GS paid the rest, oh how much was a tow you ask? 1250.00. It cost us 350.00. GS GREAT JOB. YOU GUYS SAVED US A TON AND SAVED OUR TRIP. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I was in Florida. The camper door locked as my wife walked with both sets of keys in the camper. We were locked out!! Called Good Sam, they got me a locksmith and we got charged 85 dollars for about 2 minutes of work. Good Sam paid nothing!! I got Good Sam when I got the camper. They said how good it was and we would be covered for 5 years. Camping World made money off of us so buyer be aware. Both rip-off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Good Sam Roadside Assistance?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

While I had good service with being towed and tire fixed. I had very bad luck on my truck, had mechanical problems 2 times and towed to local repair shops, and 3 flat tires on a trip across the country. Good Sam just informed me that they are cancelling my contract with them for roadside assistance, I purchased the service for this for peace of mind while traveling the country. I purchased a 3 year contract and now they are going to prorate the refund. I need the service as I will be traveling for the next several years. Good Sam is only interested in making money not servicing the traveling community. Nowhere on the application that I saw they can cancel the contract for any reason. Only after they have your money do they send a for program guide that mentions this.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I am currently sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire. I called Good Sam 3 and half hours ago. I'm here alone on a busy highway. I waited so long for help that I decided to pay for a tow. First, Good Sam dispatched me to a company in Iowa. I'm in Pennsylvania. Then, when they changed my location, I was told it would be at least another 2 hours and 45 minutes before I got help. I decided to call Goodyear instead. I was crying so hard that the poor woman at Goodyear offered to call 911. This is the service I pay a premium for? When the tow driver from Good Sam finally called me, he told me that they had called him 45 minutes prior. They waited 2 hours to call for help. We will not renew. In fact, I'm reaching out to anyone I can in regards to getting the remaining 2 years we paid for refunded.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Good Sam Roadside Assistance states in their member benefit brochure that it "pays 100% of the towing fees for the delivery of the vehicle to the nearest professional service center capable and willing to repair the vehicle". I filed a claim for $1,250.00 on 7/28/17 for towing my 40' motorhome from Kerens, TX to Tyler, TX. - a distance of approximately 50 miles.

After 2-1/2 months, three conversations and two letters, I received a check for $650, not the 100% payment they state in their brochure. My claim met every requirement so far as distance and the nearest qualified professional service center. I received a phone call from them today (10/4/17) stating that this is all they will pay. They stated that the facility where the motor home was towed was not the closest and this is incorrect. I am speaking of a 40' Freightliner the size of an 18 wheeler and a facility qualified to repair something this size is not on every street corner!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

We were on our way to Jacksonville NC from our home in MD. About 110 miles from our destination, a tire blew on our utility trailer, at about 9:00 PM. Like many others, it took talking to at least 5 different people at Good Sam, and having to repeat the same information each time. Was finally told by a call back from them at 1:00 AM that no one could be located to send a tow truck for our utility trailer till about 10:00 Am. I told them that was not an option. We were only 3 miles from the next exit, an off-duty State Police officer stopped to assist us while waiting. Was very kind, gave us some water for our dog, and offered to take one of us to get some food at a local carryout.

Ended up unloading the trailer, cramming everything in the back of the truck, leaving the trailer in the grass on the side of the road since it needed a new wheel and axle. Which we could have replaced had "Good Sam" sent a flatbed Tow vehicle. Went back later that evening (110 miles) Trailer was GONE. Canceled our membership on the side of the road on the spot. NEVER will subscribe to their "Assistance" programs again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Consumers beware of Good Sam for any roadside assistance protection. After a 3+ hour standoff trying to resolve a flat tire during September 2017. After giving my information, I was told a confirmation text would be sent, didn't happen. After 90 min, I called again to confirm my roadside assistance request then told it was cancelled. Roadside truck arrives within 2 hours & tells me my spare can't be removed from under vehicle, then left. I called Good Sam 2 additional times to mention what the previous roadside guy did, the representative didn't care, then stated the 1st attempt to replace my flat tire exceeded my limit of services per day & any tows now are 100% my responsibility. This was my 1st roadside call during my 11 months with company.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Signed up with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. We were on a trip from California to Iowa. We had stopped in Jean Nevada for lunch and when we came back we noticed that the plug from the tow dolly to the coach was laying on the ground and the right side prong was destroyed. So we had no brake lights or turn signals from the coach to the dolly. Called GSRA after over 2 hours on the phone we were told a technician would be dispatched within 2 hours to help fix our problem. The cost was 175.00 for the tech to come out labor was 175.00 the parts would be extra once he determined what was needed and we would have to pay an additional 175.00 for the techs return fee. We were 10 miles from Las Vegas. Why would we have to pay 175.00 for the tech to drive home ridiculous. I felt like we were being gouged for the most money they could get. 175 for this 175 for that "Really".

We decided to drive to Vegas without the lights. Camping World had the part we needed it cost 12.50 and one of the associates from Camping World came out and helped us replace the part. Tipped this wonderful man 20 bucks and we were on our way. Skip forward to a few days later we heard a loud sound and it felt like we were dragging something. Made it to a safe area and went out to see what it was. The mud flap and protector plate had been damaged. We did not have the right tools to remove or fix the 2 pieces and could not drive with them hanging. Called GSRA, told them our problem and was told they don't cover that. I told the dispatcher we were unable to drive anywhere and she rudely said that she didn't feel we were disabled so no dispatch. Omg.

So my husband climbed under the RV and tried to remove the pieces with the tools at hand no luck. We then took cable ties and duct tape to hang the pieces so they wouldn't drag while driving. We linked the cable ties I climbed under to loop them since my hands are smaller and then once looped we reinforced the loop with duct tape. We got back on the road and GSRA calls and wants to "talk" really basically I told them what they could do with their so-called "Assistance". Do not sign up for this. It is bogus and will only upset you when you try and use it. So ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My wife and I were traveling through Oregon this Sept and had a Alternator fail on our Ford F-250 Diesel while pulling our 28-foot camping trailer. We were stranded and called for assistance on our fairly new Good Sam Road Side Assistance club membership. The call was very unhelpful and was routed through several operators who wanted the same info which I had provided several time already. Then they ask for a return number of the phone I was calling on so they could call me back with service info. The call never came. I finally after more than an hour called them back to cancel. We received some help from a good samaritan, moved the truck and trailer off the road and then used a Taxi to make it to a parts house and purchased a new alternator and installed it myself.

Then the next day at about 3 pm we encountered an axel issue with our trailer on busy I-5 which normally would require a tow, I called again and we were told it would be 4 hours for any assistance, if even then. Once again we were left to fend for ourselves already having paid for a Good Sam Assistance package prior to the trip. I will never again pay-for or use any of the Good Sam road assistance services, they are a scam with no good outcome!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I do not write reviews, but saw so many bad reviews of Good Sam that I felt it necessary to say my experience. Last year my husband I needed to get away after his surgery so about 9 pm we headed to get our trailer over in Newport Beach CA but when we got there the tire was flat in back. So called AAA and they said they'd be there in 40 minutes. They always say 30 then it turns into hours. Well this wasn't just hours. They said it would be 2 AM when they could come out. Well I thought let me call Sam and they blew me away. Within 15 minutes they were there. Fixed the tire, gave the man a $10 tip and we were on our way. I was amazed at the response. No complaints here.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

We signed up for 3 years of service a year and a half ago, so we are about half way through our contract. Just received a letter from their claims department telling us that they no longer want our business because we actually used their services 3 times and it wasn't even for our motorhome. When you breakdown on the highway, the last thing you think about is if I'm using my prepaid service too much??? And all of these tows were within the coverage distance. We left AAA because they could not provide towing service for our motorhome, so according to the Good Sam Policy, you need AAA for your cars and Good Sam for your motorhome... Am I reading that right? If you are as confused as me, check out the letter that I received from them. Customer satisfaction at its finest.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Do not ever get a Towing Policy with Good Sam! Just last night at around 10 pm, my $150,000 custom Car broke down in a bad area around Hollywood. I called my Good Sam Roadside Assistance hotline, where I was explained that my car will only be towed for 1 mile to the nearest service station any additional mileage would be charged extra at a high price. I explained to the dispatch, one, that there is no service station open at that time and my car would be left out in the open subject to vandalism or theft, and two, even if a service station would be open they could not fix my car since it is an exotic custom version and needed be towed to a custom shop of my choosing or to my residence for safekeeping.

The dispatcher completely ignored my reasoning and told me that's all they can do for me. Luckily I had a friend with me in another car, he had AAA, and was able to help me getting my car flat bedded 18 miles to my residence for free. Today I called Good Sam customer service to complain and to cancel my membership with them, their only response was “Well you should have read your 10 page policy statement including small print”.

Be aware! Good Sam sales reps will lie to you just to sign you up. Once you really need them you will find out the hard way what they are all about, “A Big Scam.” I Also have a 40 foot RV under Good Sam's policy, I did cancel it ASAP. God forbid something happens to that RV I'll be stuck out in the boonies for sure maybe at some Walmart center if you're one of the lucky ones. Looking into getting AAA or similar, better pay the extra guaranteeing they take care of you when you need them.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

My wife and I have three granddaughters in Michigan and we travel from North East Texas to Michigan each year. Sometimes we travel twice a year or more. We had debated keeping Good Sam Roadside Assistance because of the bad reviews. Our premium was still paid for this trip and was to expire soon. The lifter pump went out on my Dodge diesel on I-30 between Arkadelphia and Hope, Ark. About three hours later Good Sam towed me to Texarkana, Tx at a cost of approx. $650. The tow truck driver referred me to a diesel shop that worked on their tow trucks and took my truck there instead of a dealership. We stayed two nights at a motel but my truck was ready the next day. I have a big thumbs up for Good Sam, the tow truck driver and the shop that repaired my truck.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Your three ring circus did not impress me. A flat tire on a trailer should not be a 17 hour overnight wait on a dangerously busy 2 lane Hwy. Also, after speaking with 9 or 10 of your people I was given erroneous information and was told a "20.5 x 8 -10 trailer tire was not a size" repeatedly for what seemed like 10 - 15 minutes each. At minimum I spoke with 3 persons, each one giving me that same misinformation! Even your expert tire person said "There is no such size, can you go to the tire and read the big numbers and letters written on it." This was said in a rather pompous manner. He did apologize after he checked a reference and discovered that it was, indeed, a size. He then put us on hold for quite some time and returned to state that he could not find anyone with that tire. Alternatively, he arranged to get it towed on a flat deck to my home. He also told us that the towing company would be calling shortly and that they had all the details.

This started at 7:30 pm. I spoke with 5 or 6 people between 7:30 and 9:38 pm when we were told a tow was arranged and GS dispatch would be calling within 5 minutes. At ten p.m., feeling thoroughly frustrated, I removed the tire myself, unhitched the trailer and drove home leaving my boat on the Hwy, hoping it wasn't stripped by morning (which happens on that Hwy). After returning home at midnight, I received confirmation that the tow truck company had been called about 11:35 pm and confirmed a 10 am pick-up. When I spoke to the same tow truck company, they assured me that, had they been called between 7:30 and 9:30, they definitely would have arrived within the hour. This leaves me to surmise that they had never been contacted during that time (in spite of the assurances I was given by your company). Again, this is completely unacceptable service!

Original review: July 17, 2017

I signed up today ONLINE for Good Sam Roadside Rescue Platinum Program. There was a special rate for new members of $59.95. After completing the signup process and entering my credit card info I was surprised to see the confirmation page did not give me a confirmation # or receipt for my purchase. It only said "Your Good Sam Roadside Assistance benefits becomes active 24-48 hours after approval of payment. Your membership kit will arrive in 3-4 weeks."

When I called the Good Sam Customer Service number I talked to "Irene" and was told by her I should have called in to the 800 number to join, and I would have gotten immediate approval and coverage. I told her that I was disappointed already with Good Sam, as I feel they should let you know your coverage will not begin once you make your payment for up to 48 hours... BEFORE I paid my money. Why the delay? You got the money. If I would have known this I simply would have called. Not feeling good about this decision! Especially with all the bad reviews I am now seeing on this site!

Original review: July 12, 2017

We have been a Good Sam's customer since 2010 and this was our first call. We had a blown tire, a bad spare, and possibly faulty breaks on the side of the highway in Valdosta, Georgia on the Saturday of July 4th. We also had poor cell reception. Rather than sending a service person out to help us since we were in a danger location, I had to call back three times and was argued with each time over what services we actually needed. Then we were put on hold multiple times for over a half hour each time. It took over 2 hours to even get a call back for a quote on two new tires and then the quote was DOUBLE what the actual service should have cost. Tires that were listed at $95 each, cost us $160 each plus they added a $250 emergency charge.

The first call was placed at 1:30 pm and we were not on the road again until 8:30 pm. That was our only option since we were told that they would not tow us on a holiday weekend. Thankfully a good samaritan who was also a mechanic stopped to offer us service with the brakes. We will be canceling our Good Sam's membership and warning everyone we can away from this bogus company. They love collecting your membership, but when you are actually stranded, they will offer to change with your spare and send you on your way.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I had to have our 40FT motorhome towed by Good Sam when the fuel pump failed on I-95 in FL. They had a huge tow truck there within 20 minutes and towed us to the Cummins Dealer 40 miles away, not a nearby diesel shop. I do not write reviews, but saw so many bad reviews of Good Sam that I felt it necessary to say my experience. I also had to get pulled out off soft sand when we sank at a camping spot. Good Sam sent another giant tow truck and pulled us 20 Ft to hard ground. The tow truck operator told me without Good Sam, I was looking at a $800 tow bill! The tow bills are high since the tow truck cost $640,000. Good Sam has been perfect with us, they come quick and fix our problem. I will never be without Good Sam!

Original review: June 19, 2017

We have been Good Sam customers for more than two years. Today, we received a letter in the mail informing us that we had been removed as customers due to the fact that we have used their services too many times. We had to have two separate trucks towed a total four times in the last year due to major transmission issues while camping. Never at any point did a representative of Good Sam alert us to the fact that we were about to reach any kind of service limit, including the one that we spoke to on May 20th to schedule our last tow, who at that time encouraged us to renew our membership! We were stunned when we received the letter today, and are concerned and anxious because we have a camping trip scheduled for Friday and now we are without roadside assistance.

When I called to ask for an explanation I was given absolutely no reason as to why Good Sam makes it their practice to keep their customers in the dark about these service limits. No one carries a roadside assistance membership contract around with them to review on the side of the road during an emergency. We should have been told when we scheduled our last tow that it would cause us to exceed the service limit, but we were not. Not a word was said to us about this issue until it was too late. I will be going with a different company, and good riddance to these thieves, who gladly took our money, but didn't actually want to provide us with a service.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Broke down in our 40" Dutch Star motorhome with loss of power made the last 50 miles doing 20 MPH on the Overseas Hwy to Marathon. We were lucky enough to be able to pull into an RV Park and get a spot. We called GSRA to try to get a tow, we already had a diagnostic service done, and was told it was a fuel injector pump problem. GSRA would only tow us to the closest diesel mechanic which was 7 miles away, if we wanted to go to a certified place we would have to pay the difference at the rate of $10.00 a mile. As it turns out the mechanic they wanted me to use was a boat mechanic working out of his truck and had no place to put our rig, he generally worked out of his truck on boats! He wanted $4000.00 upfront to fix it with no guarantee, ("You bought it" was his exact words) referring to the injector pump.

Fortunately, although we "road assistance " coverage with our Insurance Company Progressive, they did all the "legwork" and found a tow company able to tow the rig to Fort Myers from Marathon for $1500.00 and then covered $250.00 of the bill. When I got home I called GSRA to make a complaint and try to submit a copy of bill for a settlement considering I am a "Platinum Member", the next guy to call me hung up after telling me "clearly I don't understand their contract". On the letter headed it is time to pay your annual dues, it clearly states; unlimited distance towing; free towing to the nearest network service facility, even if it is hundreds of miles away. I didn't know that meant boat mechanic working out of his truck!!

Original review: May 31, 2017

Traveling Sunday 5/28 and our truck (towing 5th wheel) broke down just outside of Austin, TX. Not too worried as we had GSRA. When we called the only thing they would do for us is tow our truck only to a "safe area" such as a Rest area or a Truck stop. It was 92 degrees out, traveling with 2 dogs and a cat. Without the ability to have air condition, electric, or water sitting in a rest area or truck stop. Didn't offer to put us in a hotel or pay for meals... NOTHING!! How is that considered SAFE???

Fortunately we contacted a friend that was approximately 60 miles from us. They also tow a 5th wheel and were kind enough to come get us. We were able to leave our truck in parking lot until Tuesday. When we called GSRA on Tuesday they wanted to tow the truck to Firestone. This is a diesel truck. How could Firestone help us?? We finally convinced them to tow to a repair shop within 2 miles of the park we are staying in, but at our expense. At this point we didn't care. Just wanted the truck near us. We were advised that the tow truck would arrive at 1:48 pm, didn't show up until 3:30 pm. We use to have AAA RV Plus service and guess what? We are going back to AAA and canceling GSRA. WORSE SERVICE EVER!!! All they are concerned about is the money. They (GSRA) SUCK big time.

Original review: May 1, 2017

We were traveling behind camping friends and saw that they had a blowout damaging their RV. Notified them to pull over. They were pulling a 2016 35 ft travel trailer. Tread shredded from tire throwing rubber and parts all over interstate. After pulling over to access that we could continue to next exit they notified GSRA. After my friend held for over 45 minutes she was told they could not find anyone to help us but would keep trying. In the meantime my friend's husband who has had two back surgeries and is 65 years old and my husband who has a heart condition (the reason we carry GSRA) and is 68 years old had to struggle to change the tire. This area is in the hub of truck stops and trucking companies where service is essential.

After an hour and a half they called back and said they might have found someone. In the meantime I had contacted a service myself who even though was closed and out of time was trying to find someone to help us so it could not have been that hard. All in all if you need Good Sam Roadside Assistance travel between 8-5 Monday through Friday and you stand a chance of getting help. I have carried this roadside assistance for years but will begin searching for more reliable service. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THEM AGAIN.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I recently bought a 2017 Keystone Cougar Camper and they really pushed on the Good Sam Roadside Assistance, they told me it's great to have and that if something happens they'll tow my truck and trailer, take care of my pets and get us home. Well I called today because I needed to take my trailer to the dealership for a warranty issue and my transmission went out on my truck. Because the trailer was in a safe location all they would do is tow the truck to get repaired. Not tow the trailer, not give me a ride home or take care of my animals. So I was stranded with no hot water in my trailer, no truck, 2 cats, a dog and a very upset girlfriend. Good thing I have AAA gold because they were happy to help. Yeah AAA is $100 a year but I would not tow my rig without it, they have brought me gas, towed my truck 80 miles home and have always been quick with no questions asked.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Just received new cards and offer to purchase Roadside Assistance at a $ 38.00 discount. Whoopie! Information on brochure, I Quote "It happens every 4 minutes. Every day of every year, Good Sam Club Members are out on the road, often far from help of any kind, and they break down. Then what? We rescue them! When we get the call, we swing into action to get there fast...and get our RV owners back on the road."

Sorry not our experience! Paid for GSRA for 10 years and in that time tried to use service twice. Once in Ontario Canada, Flat tire needed Spare installed. In Walmart Yard in town with only one Walmart but because I could not give Street corner at which I was located they could not send someone to install my spare. Not sure person taking my call knew where Ontario was???

Next time towing boat from Florida had blowout in South Carolina on I-95. Called GSRA at 6:00PM to install spare. Finally at 8:00 PM after number of calls back and forth we were told they would have someone there at 9:30 the next morning. Did not seem to care we were sitting on shoulder of I-95 two feet from edge of payment being rocked back and forth every minute by semi's. Both occasions I installed spare myself. So long story short we paid out over $ 700 over the years and received no service hence one star is high rating in my opinion.

Original review: March 19, 2017

This is the third time they cannot perform. 1st was getting a flat tire fixed on my motor home. I got it done a lot faster myself. They called me the next morning to set it up while I had it all set up the evening before and they were on their way when Good Sam Road Assistance called. 2nd was a battery issue. They could not support my problem. Got it taken care of myself. They could not help. Now towing my Corvette. They gave me repair shop about 120 miles away. It's about 150 to the house. I told them to tow it a facility near my house and I will pay the difference. They wanted around $650. The person I was talking to was confused, did not really appear to know how to handle the situation and could not answer some of my questions. Called AAA. They towed it for a lot less. I had 100 free miles of towing and they were on the spot in less than 15 minutes. The Good Sam roadside service is really questionable.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I had a flat tire on my fifth wheel trailer, and called Good Sam Roadside Assistance to have it changed and repaired. If I'd just had them swap out the spare tire, it would have been a free service call. But I was busy, and figured I'd get a reasonable deal if they just took care of it. NOT!! I was billed almost $700 for the service call and one new tire. I checked with the company they sent out, and had I called them direct, my costs would have been $368. Good Sam contracted out the service call, and the sub-contractor nearly doubled the cost to me. Some insurance! Just be very aware that the basics are all you want to use, lest it cost you way more than it should.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

For $112 a year you get VERY LITTLE. They don't give you a document that clearly indicates all they pay is the initial fee for whatever company comes out to you. We had a flat tire on our RV in storage. They paid ONLY for the repair company to come out. We had to pay $87 UPFRONT for estimated labor cost to fix the flat tire! This is not what is expected. And there is very little material provided so you can understand what is paid. I'm not sure what they actually pay if you have to be towed. I am guessing the actual towing cost is yours too.

They probably pay for somebody to arrive on site -- and then you get stuck with cost to tow. Don't think of this as anything like AAA road service - it's not. All is it is them calling somebody and paying a very small portion of the cost - just enough to get somebody there. Then you're on your own. If they properly disclosed this it wouldn't be such a big deal, but they don't. They advertise it like you are going to get tire repair, towing, etc. And you don't. Plus, they are very rude. When my husband called back (in shock) and asked them to explain why we were paying $87 the employee very nastily said "the labor, the labor " -- "the labor". Very rude.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Over a year ago I bought the (Platinum) service for my daughter who was traveling across the US in a camper. Platinum is unlimited towing! While driving through Odessa, Texas. She heard a strange noise, did a responsible thing and pulled over, and called GS. They sent out a tow truck not a flat bed. The driver towed her front up! Her back tire came off and totally wrecked the back fender and back of her camper and bent the wheel. She was held up in a hotel in the middle of nowhere because of it and had to come out of pocket for this expense. She had to go through her insurance company to get relief! Because of their towing company she had to pay a $500 deductible and hotel costs! Good Sam virtually left her homeless. THEN THEY CANCELLED her. I called and complained when they cancelled and you could not speak to any kind of manager or owner or president and were only given an address to write.

They people were not helpful at all. She had called twice before for a flat tire. Then they sent a letter giving her 10 days notice of cancellation, and the letter was received AFTER the ten day period! She literally had no roadside service (unbeknownst to us and her). This company is not credible and not worth paying for. They are not inexpensive and don't ever call them because they will cancel you or send out a joke of a company to help you! They are very wrong to cancel at random when you use them! They do not use reputable towing companies either. Go elsewhere! Buyer beware! WRONG! Good Sam is NOT A GOOD SAM!

Good Sam Roadside Assistance expert review by Lauren Fix

Known for its roadside assistance services for RVs, boat trailers and motorbikes, apart from standard passenger vehicles, Good Sam Roadside Assistance offers support in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

• Unlimited towing miles: Members can get their vehicle towed to the nearest repair shop without worrying about towing miles.

• Travel-interruption expenses: If a vehicle breaks down 100 or more miles away from home, the service pays for expenses like food and lodgings.

• Automatically family coverage: All membership plans come with automatic coverage for spouse and children below 25 years of age.

• Discounts: Members are entitled to discounts at repair shops, car rental services and at more than 7,000 lodgings.

• Medical help: The service helps members find medical and legal help in case of emergencies on the road.

• Best for: Good Sam Roadside Assistance is best for families with multiple drivers, frequent vacationers and adventurers. It is designed for RV owners too.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Company Information