1.49/5

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

107 Good Sam Roadside Assistance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

While traveling to PA, my husband and I broke down near Roanoke, VA. We were told a tow truck would be here within 90 min to take our truck to a dealership and our RV to a campground. After we waited, we got a call saying they couldn’t find anyone to tow our 5th wheel so we’d have to be responsible for the $125/hr mechanic roadside service call and it would be another 90 minute wait. Very disappointing. This is the first time we ever made a call and this is what a platinum membership is all about?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

After storing my motorhome in Bradenton Florida for six months in 2018 I found that my battery was dead. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance and they sent a guy from Tampa to check the battery. The battery was indeed dead and he replaced it with another one that had no label and did not appear to be new. But I didn't say anything. When he handed me the bill I nearly fell backwards. It was over $500. He charged me around $259 for the battery, another $100 or so for the service and then another $100 for mileage between Tampa and Bradenton, despite the fact that he had several other service calls in Bradenton that day. He probably charged each customer for the mileage.

I felt robbed and cheated. I have been in Maine since June 2018 and I have had to replace that battery because it died. I had it replaced and the mechanics found that the guy in Florida had broken one of the terminals. The mechanics in Maine repaired everything, including putting in a new battery, for a total charge of $145. Good Sam Roadside Assistance needs to screen its service providers more carefully because the guy in Florida was a dishonest scam artist who needs to be kicked off of Good Sam's service providers list. Because of this incident, I am now reluctant to call Good Sam and will most likely not renew my membership.

Helmut,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into what happened. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership and your phone number.

Stacy

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I called since I was having issues with my batteries. Spent over an hour on the phone as they discussed the difference in sending a jumper versus mechanic. When asking about the cost of mechanics and who pays for what, their CS person suggested I talk to membership since I am an ELITE member and sometimes they can change things (her suggestion not mine). In all I was transferred to 6 different people and most seemed confused until I talked to a manager. He said -- "Look I will give you an ultimatum" (his word not mine). It was no different than what I had been told earlier -- they wasted my time and money. As soon as my service ends at the end of the year I will NOT be renewing -- that's my ULTIMATUM! There are more customer oriented services out there -- this happened to be free with my purchase -- but it did end up costing me!

James,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My wife and daughter were stranded at night in a disabled vehicle. She called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. They were told the policy was canceled due to using it. We never received notification - only that we were upgraded to platinum. My wife was hung up on. After being hung up on several times, I talked to a supervisor. There was nothing they could do. No compassion even when I said I'd pay for it. They said to call 911 and get a tow. Really?!? Thanks a lot Good Sam... Good riddance.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the experience your wife and daughter have had, we would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Much like other reviews we were told multiple times that someone was on the way, then to be told they canceled. After calling around on our own for someone to tow our 42’ diesel pusher after an accident we were told that Good Sam had contacted them, but refused to pay the towing company’s rates. No one had ever been “on the way”. After 8 hours of being lied to, we started trying to contract someone on our own. We finally found someone and called Good Sam to let them know that we found someone. However, they didn’t realize it was a 42 footer and couldn’t do it, so we called Good Sam and let them know we would still need help. They called back and said they had found someone.

Then a supervisor called and said that since we said they didn’t need to come out several hours before, they were going to cancel the service and leave us stranded. They claimed they paid for service already and wouldn’t pay again. We called the people they supposedly paid and they said it never happened, that they called them 20 times trying to get them to reduce their rate to the point where the towing company hung up on Good Sam. They paid for Platinum service, we got zero service, just 11 1/2 hours of lies. They say they have recordings of all the conversations and they would review the tapes, that was 4 hours ago. We are still stranded, they have zero interest in helping us due to the cost. I feel like this is a huge scam that will need a lawyer to resolve. Based on the other reviews, it might be a class action.

Hello Jeanette,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the experience you're having. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Ella

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Good Sam Roadside Assistance?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

After camping for a week we were packed and ready to go. At 9 am my camper would crank but the engine would not start, after checking the emergency fuel cutoff to ensure it was not activated I tried once again to start the camper. It was at this point the first call was made to Good Sam, I was given instructions to try to start which of course did not work, then I was instructed to try to start from auxiliary battery which did not work either but the person on the phone would not accept my word that the batteries were fine, instead she said they would send out someone to give USA double battery jump. An hour later a guy showed up, examined the vehicle, tried a few tricks and determined the fuel pump was probably bad.

Another call back to Good Sam and a good 10 to 15-minute hold which became the standard before we could speak to our service person. She asked for more information regarding our RV which we gave as a 34 ft class C Four Winds Chateau, at that point she said she would have to send out a wrecker as there we no local mechanics who would do an on-site repair. We were told a wrecker would be to us within an hour and a half to 2 hours, after 2 1/2 hours we called again and were told the wrecker had canceled and another was on its way. No reason given for the cancellation. Again we wait and no wrecker, yet another phone call and we’re told this wrecker canceled also and another was coming but would not be there for 2 more hours.

By this time we had waited five hours for a wrecker, finally the wrecker arrived but his hydraulic pump engine would not start, he messed around for 30-45 minutes until he finally was able to start the motor. We had contacted a shop in town to repair our vehicle that morning and they were expecting us, we gave the wrecker driver the name and we proceeded to the shop, we pulled in there at 5:15 pm 8 hours after our first call. Fortunately one mechanic was just getting ready to leave and was able to take care of the RV. The mechanic shook his head as our vehicle was being backed in and he said ”We were told this was a class A home, had they told me correctly we could have towed it this morning and probably have it fixed by now."

Of course this put us in the position of having to get a room for the night and wait until morning before the RV could be looked at, by 10:00 am we were informed the fuel pump had indeed failed and they were searching for one, if they found one it would be the middle of the afternoon and the vehicle would be ready to go. Without anywhere we could go as we had our dog with us we were forced to take the motel room for another night even though we would be headed home. We ended up paying for 2-night motel fees, lost a day and all because the service person did not listen to the information given her. Thankfully we researched the mechanic and decided on him not the one Good Sam was recommending, we might still be stranded.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the experience you have had, we would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Not impressed at all with our first experience. Waited 3 1/2 hours without shade in 97 degrees on the interstate. The person on the phone was not helpful at all and they did not return calls like they said they would. The fuel injection pump went out on our tow rig (F650 flat bed that had a Polaris Ranger and a Ford Ranger on it pulling a 27 1/2 ft travel trailer). We called immediately and told them we were on the busy interstate with no shade and it was very hot out. I was made to take pictures of both sides of our vehicle (which meant standing out on the interstate to get the one) and the license plate. Mind you, we tried to explain that we could see the next exit and you COULD NOT miss our rig. Well, no callback as promised.

Finally, we got a call from the tow company. Yay! They said they were on a call and would be there in about 1/2 hour. After that call, Good Sam called to tell us they found someone and told us where we were getting towed to. Even after sending the pictures to them to show how big our rig was they never told the tow company so they showed up with a flatbed. The guy was shaking his head and apologized and said he would be back with a semi wrecker and another tow truck to pull the camper. You would have at least thought Good Sam would have told them what we had or sent the pictures so the tow company could have the right information. Anyway, the tow company was great and the place we were towed to went above and beyond to get us on the road again. I honestly thought we would be cooked on the side of the road before someone would get to us through with no contact from Good Sam.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance response

Apologies for the lack of service. I would like to investigate further and resolve on your behalf. Please call 1-800-234-3450 and ask for the Roadside team. Thanks in advance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I recently had to call Good Sam for a tire blowout. After getting a return call from their contractor they wanted $345.00 to come out to replace tire. I have tire coverage and roadside assistance insurance through Good Sam. I ended up changing tire myself on the side of the interstate. Went to get tire replaced with insurance and could not find anyone to take it. I had to buy tires out of pocket, now that we are home tried to get reimbursed. They said since I did not get prior approval no refund.

They said tire company had to call them first, I told them they all refused to call, I told them I cannot force someone to call and we were in need of tires. They said my problem. Good Sam is a total waste of money, go with AAA and you will be better off. I will never deal with them again and I am cancelling all policies with them and requesting refunds. I am also going to file in small claims court that they make it impossible to get your refund on tire you have to buy and do not honor their roadside assistance program by wanting money upfront to respond.

Hello Jerry,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Labor Day morning 2018 in Sparks, Nevada I called Roadside Assistance for the first time since enrolling. I reported a dead engine battery and requested a jump start, whereupon, I was informed they would have somebody call me back shortly for my location details. Two hours later, a family friend came to our assistance and after about an hour we got the battery charged enough to start our diesel rig. Ten days later, after our trip, I contacted Good Sam Roadside Assistance and was asked when I finally heard from the people they sent out and I informed them I was STILL WAITING! I NEVER received contact from anybody. At that point, I was told an investigation was to be opened and I would hear from someone in 3-5 days... again no communication and it has been since Sept 11, 2018 (8 days). At this point I have no faith in the company's services and am looking elsewhere for coverage. "Good Sam" turned out to be "Bad Sam".

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize you have not been contacted and for the experience you have had. I would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I get a cancellation letter in August when my membership was good until December of 2018. When I called regarding the cancellation I ended up asking to talk to a supervisor because the person on the phone said that he COULD NOT TELL ME why I was cancelled, it was above his paygrade. The supervisor told me that I had used them 4 times in a year and they did not want me to be able to use them ANYMORE. They said they had the right to cancel someone at anytime for no reason at all and that there was nothing I could do and it is what it is... ** SO FRUSTRATING. YOU PAY FOR A SERVICE AND ACTUALLY USE THE SERVICE YOU PAY FOR AND THEY SAY NOOO. Basically, pay for a service and don't use it will make them happy. I will NEVER recommend Good Sam Roadside Assistance to my worst enemy.

Hello Dee Anna,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize your membership was cancelled, I would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam roadside membership number and your contact number.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We will never recommend Good Sam Roadside to anyone ever again! In fact we will go out of our way to encourage anyone we talk to that they should look elsewhere for roadside assistance! We will tell them that Good Sam is more than happy to take your money, but when it comes to living up to the terms of the agreement and taking care of you in your time of need, they are a complete and utter failure. Here’s why we feel this way:

On a RAINY April 22, 2018 day our truck and fifth wheel (rig) became stuck in a jackknifed position in the mud at Seven Points Campground (Army Corps of Engineer Park) in Tennessee while trying to back into our assigned campsite. We contacted Good Sam Roadside (GSR) for assistance with getting pulled out (known as recovery services). We were asked several questions pertaining to the size and weight of our truck and fifth wheel so the correct equipment could be sent to perform the job.

GSR was told that our truck and tri-axle rig weigh a combined 33,000lbs and are in excess of 60’ long. An Army Corps employee who was working at the campground also spoke with GSR and emphasized that it was going to take a heavy duty truck that was capable of pulling us out as well as having the capability of lifting the rig off the ground to line it up with pavement so we could drive out safely without the possibility of getting stuck again. (This employee used to drive a wrecker and has seen many trucks and rigs in messy situations so he is very experienced as to what was going to be required.)

The tow truck company that GSR contacted called to let us know he was getting ready to head our way. During this phone call, the same Corps employee spoke directly to the tow truck operator and made sure he was aware of the size and length of our truck and rig and that he was going to have to be able to pull and lift us. In spite of all the warnings about the size and weight of our truck and rig, GSR sent a light duty tow truck that wasn’t equipped with a boom for the purpose of lifting.

This tow truck wasn’t any bigger than our own F350 Dually truck. When the Corps employee met the tow truck at the entrance gate he told the tow truck operator his “little” truck was not going to be able complete the task at hand. He was guided by the Corps employee to where we were and upon arriving at the site, the tow truck operator admitted to the Corps employee that he wasn’t equipped to successfully get us out but he was going to try anyway. All he wanted was to get paid for coming out!

The tow truck hooked on with his winch and was able to pull us backward so that the rigs tires were on the pavement however, we were still in a jackknifed position and the truck was still in the mud and unable to get traction to proceed safely. Because of trees, other rigs and site marker posts, if we tried to move forward we’d end up in the same position we were in. If we tried to move backward we would end up in a ditch on the other side of the road. We were now fully blocking the road and with the campground having only one way in and out, we could not remain in this position. At this point, the tow truck operator attempted to drag (not lift) our 23,000lb rig sideways across the asphalt. This attempt obviously failed as he was woefully underequipped for the task. The operator then told me to pull our truck forward in an effort to straighten the trucks alignment with the rig.

The operator then attempted to pull the truck and rig back while I tried to steer into a position to drive out. This back and forth action was done several times but the situation was getting worse and eventually the rig's nose got smashed down on to the bed rail of the truck and both sustained damage. At this point we were completely stuck… The operator could not pull us back at all and we were in a worse position than we were in originally. Let me repeat… The operator was an active participant in this final effort. The operator stated that we were going to need a heavy hauler to get us out… A much larger truck with boom lift capabilities. We did not sign, nor asked to sign, nor did we receive any paperwork whatsoever that acknowledged anything that had transpired. The tow truck operator then left.

We then called GSR and told them that the truck they sent was not the right kind of wrecker to have been sent and requested they send a heavy hauler. GSR said they needed to check with the tow truck to get his statement. GSR called us back and declined to send a heavy hauler stating that the tow truck driver told GSR that he had gotten us up on the road and we got ourselves stuck again. GSR stated they had fulfilled their obligation, and we were now on our own.

We then contacted a heavy hauler on our own and the next morning (after we spent the night in our truck) they were able to get us out in less than 2 hours. The heavy hauler operator pulled us back onto pavement. He then lifted the rear end of the rig with his boom so all 6 of the rig's tires were off the ground while simultaneously pulling the rig sideways so the rig and truck were more in alignment as well as being lined up with more pavement. Then the tow truck operator relocated his truck and pulled the rig and truck back even further so the truck and rig were straight and on pavement so we were then able to drive out of the campground. The heavy hauler operator was able to get us out of a worse situation and at the same time not cause any more damage to our truck and rig. This is what should have been done in the first place!

On May 4th we submitted a claim to GSR for the cost of the heavy hauler for $850.00. In addition we submitted repair estimates for our truck ($1500.00) and rig ($4050.00). The damage we incurred was directly related to GSR sending out the undersized equipment. Had the proper equipment been sent in the first place, there would not have been any damage whatsoever. To back up our claim we furnished pictures of the situation before and after the first tow truck, the damage to the truck and rig, receipt from the heavy hauler, a marked map showing the position of the truck and rig, pictures of the original tow truck as well as the heavy hauler. We also offered the names and telephone numbers of the Army Corp employee, the heavy hauler operator as well as another Army Corp employee (who was redirecting traffic while all this was going on) all of whom were witnesses what had happened.

One week later (May 11th), we were contacted by the GSR damage team contact (otherwise known as the ‘claim denial team’) with the result of the claim. He informed us the claim was being denied, yet he did not offer any explanation (reasonable or otherwise) as to why or how this decision was reached. We asked if he had spoken to any of the witnesses whose names and numbers we had furnished and he replied that he had not. He even made the statement that “it was our fault for getting stuck in the mud in the first place”. He was very rude and belligerent.

Needless to say, we were very upset with the finding on the claim, but also with the rude and belligerent behavior of the damage team contact. We spent the next several weeks trying to contact someone “up the food chain” to whom we could plead our case to. This ended up being a total waste of time. We were promised that the matter would be looked into further and calls would be returned. Nothing of the sort happened. We were just being told anything to get us off the phone.

The wording in the Good Sam Roadside Assistance Member Benefit Brochure regarding towing is as follows: “For each disablement event under this agreement, member is entitled two hours of either Towing Preparation Services or Recovery Services. Recovery Services include winch-out or extrication services to allow the vehicle to proceed safely under its own power”. Good Sam Roadside also claims (in their brochure) that their “representatives are specifically trained to answer questions about RV complexities and how to handle vehicle disablement situations. Explain the vehicle’s problem so we can send the proper equipment to assist you.”

Good Sam Roadside didn’t even come close to upholding their end of the agreement for us. They sent out an underequipped little tow truck when the situation called for a much larger truck equipped with not only a winch, but a boom for lifting based on the information they were given in the original call. If they had, we wouldn’t have over $5500 in property damage and an $850 out of pocket tow truck charge. We were at the mercy of Good Sam Roadside Assistance that they would send out the right equipment.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the situation you have had and would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam Roadside Assistance number and your contact number. We will look into this situation further.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My 40 ft. motorhome broke a steering box in Live Oak Fl. I called dispatch on Friday June 22 2018 and asked them to tow my motorhome on Monday June 25 2018, so we could spend the weekend, since we were 250 miles from home. I was told if I wanted the RV towed Monday, I would have to call back on Monday. After calling back on Monday, about 3 hrs later Certified Towing showed. The driver said, he was told by Good Sam's the motorhome was a C not A 40 ft. class A. I have had Good Sam's towing for 10 years and they don't know it is a 32,000 pound class A diesel pusher. The motorhome didn't get towed until Tuesday June 26, because the owner of Certified Towing was at a baseball game and couldn't come until the next day.

After 4 hours, a $1147.00 leveling jack, bent entrance steps and a damaged chrome exhaust. My motorhome did get towed the next day. With all this Good Sam's is not taking responsibility. Also getting someone in their damage claims dept. to call back is almost impossible. Like I mentioned earlier. I have been their customer over 10 years. I hope someone with Good Sam's reads this and decides to help one of their longtime customers.

Ed,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and a phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

On 9-10-18 we blew a bearing on our 22ft travel trailer while traveling the Western Kentucky Parkway. Myself and my partner have been Good Sam Roadside members since 1995. Called them for a tow of my trailer since I was 15 miles from next exit knowing if I tried to limp there I could do extensive damage. 1st call just got my name, member # and phone # and said dispatcher would call back. Called them back 45 min. later and got a dispatcher. Explained my situation and all seemed to be going well until the following question. "Is your vehicle more than 5 feet from the white line on the side of the road?" I told him we were about 2-3 feet and couldn't go further because of a ditch.

He (Bob) then tells me they can't tow unless we are that 5 feet. As anyone knows that drives on an interstate, the paved shoulder is no wider than 8-10 feet. Your trailer is around 8 feet wide so there is no margin for error especially with a ditch or guardrail. He then says to call 911, get an officer, have them tow me to a parking lot, and then Good Sam will tow me from there! I think NOT. End of call. I call my own wrecker, he says he's not equipped to tow my trailer, but, calls a mobile mechanic for us.

He is there in 10 minutes and 1 hour later he changed 2 sets of bearings and we were back on the road after a total of 5 hours. I have never heard of such a policy and have never been refused help from Good Sam in the past. Obviously something has changed, and it's not for the better. Horrible! In the last day and a half I have traveled on more interstates and 2 lane roads...have only seen a couple areas wide enough...plus it's wet and muddy...horrible policy that is not written anywhere. Going to cancel my roadside assistance.

Ellen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Vehicle needed a jump. Called Good Sam's Roadside Assistance. They sent out a tow company, driver reversed polarity from his jump box to my battery - BLOWING OUT TWO COMPUTERS. Cost me over $2000. Good Sam's is taking NO responsibility to resolve this issue, stating that the damage could not have been caused by the two truck company THEY SENT OUT!!! Those I spoke with at the "claims resolution" department were extremely rude - not willing to help - the last one refused to give me a name and number to his supervisor. Have reached out to the Corporate Office to see if they can assist.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

In the last 4 years, my rv had 2 flat tires & one dead battery. My husband's car left him sit once. That's 4 usages in 4 years. Today I found out they dropped us. Typical insurance...great until you actually use it.

Hello Susan,

I apologize for the expereince you have had with your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership being cancelled.

Please allow me to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam Roadside membership number and your contact number.

Ella

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

On September 1st my 30' Class C had a blow out on the rear driver side tire while en route to the Pocono Mountains in PA. The tire came apart and damaged the wheel well along with one of the storage compartments. I was able to pull on to shoulder of the busy highway, but didn't have any room to spare. There was very little space separating us from the high-speed traffic flow. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance and explained the situation. The Customer Service Representative (CSR) asked if we were in a safe location (I said no), told me she would get someone onsite and text me the specifics. I immediately received a text, but it just stated that a GS CSR was working on my issue.

I called back after 60 minutes, connected with a different CSR and asked for a status as the first rep never followed up. I was told she was still trying to locate a service provider and would get back to me. The original CSR finally called back and said she was unable to locate a provider. She then suggested I call the police as they may be able to assist us. I ended up slowly driving down the shoulder until we could get off of the highway. We were able to locate an Auto Zone and I purchased a 20 ton jack, breaker bar, etc. to change the tire myself. So, Good Sam proved to me that I don't need them and the money I'm saving by canceling their service will pay for the tools I had to purchase. I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere, if you don't already have them as your provider. Otherwise, you might want to invest in some tools of your own, if they are your provider.

Patrick,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

For some unknown reason that nobody could tell me my membership was cancelled. I talked to 3 people there including a supervisor so far and it is still a mystery. They keep telling me to call back and speak with some other department to find out why. At this point I don't care why anymore, I've already gone back to AAA where I know my limits of 5 uses per year. At the most we have used the service for 2 tows and I think 1 locksmith in the past year. They also claim to have sent a letter explaining why it was cancelled but I never received that letter, big surprise.

Instead our 3 household members including myself, wife and son drove around for months thinking we had coverage. I was stranded on Sunday and was told by dispatch that my membership was cancelled and customer service was closed so I would have to call back on Monday. So I promised the manager I was going to leave bad reviews for their useless service. I will never use nor recommend Good Sam to anyone. So anyway, called AAA the same day and they got the car towed with no problems. They are awesome!

Good Sam Roadside Assistance response

Per the conversation and review of your account we consider this matter closed.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We broke down just before 10 am. The brakes failed in our class C motorhome. We were able to pull into a gas station. I called Good Sam for a tow truck to be towed. There was no garages open due to it being Labor Day Monday. So they wanted to tow us to a campground. Now that is not helpful. The motorhome is at a campground and we would still be stuck. We were 80 miles from home in the same state and Good Sam would not cover any part of the tow. It was very difficult to find someone to tow on a holiday. I had asked to speak with a manager and never got a call back till 4:50 pm. So they left us with no help for 7 hours on 95 degree day with my elderly mother, my 8 year old daughter and two cats. The tow cost 802 dollars and they will not reimburse us any of it. Will not renew membership. Terrible customer service.

Jean,

Thank you for providing your feedback and I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

August 2018 started out on a camping trip towing are 34-foot fifth wheel to Truckee California. We arrived at the campground and set everything up. The next day we Decided to take a ride to town of Truckee California. Husband realize transmission was stuck in fourth gear and would not shift out of fourth. Called Good Sam Roadside Assistance asked them if they could tow the truck home and the fifth wheel. Was told they would tow truck 38 miles to Reno Nevada. They could also tow the fifth wheel to Reno Nevada. Asked why they could not tow the truck and trailer home. Was told they only tow to the nearest dealer. Would be our responsibility to find a place to stay or to park the fifth wheel to live in. How the truck is being repaired. If the truck could not be repaired it was our responsibility to find a way to get the fifth wheel home and for us to get home.

I explain to the rude person I was talking to when we purchased Good Sam Roadside Assistance from camping world. We were told it would tow our truck and fifth wheel Home.I was told it’s not their problem what camping world tells you. Boy did we learn our lesson. They would only tow the truck to the dealer in Reno Nevada so we had to pay to get the truck towed to the dealer in Elk Grove, Ca where we live and had to pay to have the trailer towed home. So we’re out of pocket $900 because we purchased something and it was not what we thought it was or explained to us. Please beware of what you’re purchasing through Roadside Assistance.

I understand Roadside Assistance has many calls to deal with but they still need to have compassion for the people that are calling in. We're thinking we have coverage then find out we have nothing that we thought we did so of course we’re going to be a little upset. All we want to do is get home Safe. I canceled our Roadside Assistance because it’s not what was explained to us when we purchased it. Anyone have any recommendations for a good insurance that tows your truck and fifth wheel home after a breakdown. Safe travels.

Hello Rose,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. We apologize for the experience you have had and would like to look into this further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your contact number.

Ella

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I called roadside assistance to request a lockout service. I started calling at 9 p.m. I finally got someone to respond at 10 a.m. Then I scheduled the service tech to meet me out there at 3:30. Then the roadside assistant dispatch sent me a message saying they would be there between 1:30 and 2:08. I called them back and said I had agreed at 3:30 so please change it, they informed me that they had to cancel the service and I had to start over. I am going to cancel Good Sam insurance and go back to my old insurance. The last person I talk to you was fantastic. He knew what he was doing and took care of the situation. The only thing good about it was he was nice and took care of me after 16 hours.

Hello Craig,

We apologize for the experience you have had. Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. Please provide your membership and contact number in a private message. We would like to look into this further.

Ella

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

After being a member of this service for a few years Good Sam decided to end my membership. Why you may ask? Go figure! They cancel my membership because I used it a few time for the reasons they are a service "ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE". Why pay for a service you are not allowed to use? Go to a restaurant, look through the menu, order a burger, pay the waiter, go home. What is missing? You never got your burger. That is what Good Sam wants you to do; go home without the burger. Stay away if you plan to use the service when you need it.

Hello Juan,

Thank you for providing your feedback, I apologize for the experience you have had.

Ella

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I nearly never write a review but this one is necessary for others to make a informed decision whether or not to go with this company. I have chosen to go with good Sam because they offered a better price than Triple A nevertheless because of some unfortunate events I have had to use the roadside service. Obviously I do not sit around looking for reasons to call the roadside assistance program however, apparently I should not decide to call my roadside assistance when an emergency arises. I will say that they have no problem having anyone as a customer, nevertheless, do not bother to call them In an emergency, because they will cancel you at their discretion. I'm sure they love those people who continue to pay them the monthly fee and never called them however I am not the one and I'm sure there are other people who have been dropped by this Company.

I wish that I could upload the letter I received in the mail for the proof anyone desires to see however, you can take my word for it and if you would like to reach me please contact me at **. I'd be glad to forward you the cancelation letter I received. This is very disheartening because I have been with this company for 3 or 4 years. Nevertheless if you are looking for a company that will love you for your money and will not cancel your policy if you do not make any calls in an emergency this is a good company to give all your money to. Nevertheless if you would like a more reliable company I'm sure you can choose any other roadside assistance company out there.

I hope those reading this will understand that this company is obviously set up to take payments but are not interested in servicing you for the emergencies. Yes they will come out and they will do their part nevertheless if it cost them money then they are not interested in helping you. I understand that 1 or 2 tows will cost more than I pay for the membership however I do also understand that there are thousands of people that do not use their service and that is how this company balances everything out and continues to serve the loyal customers. However they have not chosen to balance out and help those that may have called more than once instead they choose to only keep those who do not call... Pitiful.

Hello Eric,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the experience you have had, I would like to look into this situation further. Please send your Good Sam membership and contact number in a private message.

Ella

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Complete breach of contract same as other reviewers on this page. I purchased Platinum Plus Tire protection and was left on the side of the road in South Carolina 4 hours with nothing but excuses despite the fact my contract says my vehicle would be towed. All the run-around I got from Good Sam was that they couldn't tow my class A RV and could not help me. I told them multiple times we are unsafe. They didn't care. This business is such a racket. Stay away.

Nori,

Thank you for providing your feedback and I am very sorry to hear about your Good Sam experience. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number so we can look into what happened.

Stacy

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Blowout rear tire, piece of angle iron jammed between duals. Called Good Sam, was told they would send out mobile mechanic, to wrap up shredded wiring! and a change tire. Would cost us for the labour and the return trip to his location. No one showed. After 1 hr. called again, still looking for mechanic, after 2 hrs. told that computer was down and could not do anything! This Company has only one computer?? Was told to try and get angle iron out and drive to nearest town for assistance. Refused to send a tow truck. What kind of service is this? They just left us sitting there and told us to call back and let them know how we made out. So I pay for a membership and all they do is make a telephone call. I can do that myself. TOTAL LACK OF SERVICE - DEPLORABLE.

Hello Diane,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I apologize for the experience you have had, I would like to look into what happened further. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your contact number in a private message.

Ella

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We were travelling in a 33 foot Beaver Patriot Motor Home when one of the radius rods that hold the back axle straight failed when the mount at the chassis failed. Fortunately we were only going about 20 MPH when it happened and we were able to drift off to the side of the road. The coach could not be moved as the back wheels were out of alignment and pressed against the wheel wells.

We called GS Roadside assistance and after a long telephone call explaining our location, the type of breakdown, that we may need a lowboy trailer for transport, and everything to them they indicated they would reach out to their vendors and let us know when we could expect assistance. We received a text which indicated they were on it. An hour later they called back and stated that there was no one available and we should call back tomorrow and they would reach out again to their vendors. I asked if they could call me back instead of me calling in again but they insisted that I call them in the morning.

So in the morning we followed their instructions and called in again. I gave the person that answered my GS number so that she could look up our need in the computer. She indicated that they don't enter stuff into the computer and that every time you call you have to start over. I could not believe that they had nothing and I had to go through the whole thing again. What service company wouldn't enter an issue so that they could follow through with it until it was resolved?? This was maddening and made no sense at all.

So I, after a long telephone call explaining our location, the type of breakdown, that we may need a lowboy trailer for transport, and everything to them they indicated they would reach out to their vendors and let us know when we could expect assistance. We received a text which indicated they were on it. An hour later they called back and stated that there was no one available, maybe because it was Sunday and we should call back tomorrow and they would reach out again to their vendors. They also said that they probably wouldn't pay for a lowboy trailer as that would be too expensive.

Now I could see why they didn't use the computer to track progress. It is because they didn't have any intention of doing any more than the same thing every day until we found some other help and went away. Which we did. I found a tow company some 150 miles away that said they would come and help us. They were very helpful and did whatever was needed (it took them over 12 hours) to get us to our repair place. I had to pay them out of pocket and the bill was $1845.00. I have a premium account with Good Sam Roadside assistance specifically because they indicated to me when I was purchasing that they would haul any RV up to 100 miles to a repair shop. AAA didn't offer that service so I switched to Good Sam.

Needless to say I have lost all faith in Good Sam and will stay away from all of their products in the future. They may come through when it is convenient for them but as far as I am concerned they cannot be depended on and the fact that they didn't track the call is just ridiculous and leaves you as the customer with no recourse and very frustrated.

Dan,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into what happened. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Stacy

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I was 960 miles from home I called GS for help. I had a engine problem. They said they would call me back ASAP with an hourly rate from a mobile mechanic... I did not get a call back at all. I will be canceling my membership. I am very disappointed in Good Sam.

Hello Harold,

I apologize you did not receive the assistance you needed. We will be reaching out to you to obtain additional information.

Ella

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I recently had a breakdown with my 2016 Thor class a motorhome. Using my Good Sam's Club Roadside assistance, I end up going to Camping World of Minnesota for repairs. Camping World of Madison Wisconsin is where I bought my motorhome and the Good Sam's Club Warranty. The Minnesota branch fixed my motorhome the next day. Camping World told me I had to pay them my bill of $1000.00 and send in the paperwork and receipt to Good Sam's Club for reimbursement. After calling Good Sam's to find out where I had to send the paperwork. I was told I did not get pre-approved for repairs and would not get reimbursed.

Even though I was told by a representative for Good Sam's Club and their product, Camping World, what I had to do. A representative of Good Sam's claims told me I could send a letter of what happened and all receipts to them. She said it will take several months before it will be reviewed and will most likely be denied, because I did not get approval before repairs were made. I think Good Sam's Club Charges a lot of money for something they do not want you to use, but you should be happy it's there for you if you need it and Camping World helps them sell it.

Jeffrey,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your experience. I would like to look into what happened. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

An error on my part caused my travel trailer to become lodged at an angle under the corner eave of my home. I could not move forward or backwards without causing further damage. I called Good Sam towing assistance and explained the situation. I was placed on hold while the call center operator checked with her supervisor. When she returned, she told me they could not help. Since my RV was in my driveway, it was considered a "convenience", not a disablement. I called later to cancel my membership.

The operator was extremely kind, said they handled calls like this before and he did not understand why it was not covered. We spoke for over 18 minutes while he attempted to clarify whether this was covered. After being on hold for a few minutes, he returned to my call and said he would need to speak to the dispatch supervisor, who had left for the day. He promised he would follow up with me, either by phone or email, the following day when the dispatch supervisor returned. Three days later I still have not heard back from anyone at Good Sam, nor have I received confirmation of my cancellation. In the meantime, I upgraded my AAA auto insurance to add RV coverage.

The additional cost for add-on was $20.00. After waiting the required 48 hours for the change to take effect, I placed a call to AAA for assistance. A tow truck arrived 20 minutes later. They attached a winch cable to my trailer and straightened it out. I would not recommend Good Sam Roadside Assistance to anyone. The plus side to all of this is that I will be saving over $80.00 a year by switching to AAA. Anyone thinking of purchasing an RV, or those who currently own one, I suggest doing a comparison of benefits between Good Sam and AAA (or your current auto insurance company). I wish I had done so years ago.

Susan,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into this for you. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

While traveling home in our RV, had a flat tire in San Dimas, Calif. Called Good Sam and gave them all the information. Was put on hold for excessive amount of time, then told they couldn’t find my location. Repeated info and put on hold for another long period, they finally told me they found someone, but it would be about 1 1/2 hours and I’d have to pay $220 since they only would pay $100 and something. Told the person that was crazy and I’d do it myself. A friend was with me and called AAA and they were there in 30 minutes!!! And no extra charge, so I’ll be switching to them after 7 years as a member of Good Sam Roadside Assistance!!!

Charles,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I am sorry to hear about your experience and would like to look into what happened. Please send a private message with your Good Sam membership number and your phone number.

Resolution response: Aug. 15, 2018

We have been contacted, and GSs response has been extremely good. It's hard to get, train and keep good employees and sometimes bad things happen. All of our complaints have been addressed to our satisfaction and more. Also, GS seems to be highly interested in not letting our experience happen to anyone else.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

On July 18, 2018 while covered by Good Sam Roadside Assistance, we had a towing vehicle breakdown on I-80 5 miles West of Winnemucca, NV. We also weren't getting cell phone connection. Standing on the shoulder just wide enough to get our vehicle and trailer onto, with traffic passing at 80MPH and up, temps in the low 100s at mid afternoon we were in danger. Finally, a fellow RVer stopped and offered his cell phone for us to use. Then the fun began. GS first denied that our vehicle was covered. Then wanted a lot of extraneous info. They wanted our specific address. Mile marker on I-80 in Nevada wasn't good enough.

About 45 minutes of this, and a Deputy Sheriff arrived. After listening to us talking to the GS rep, with her stating she couldn't locate us and get us any help, the Sheriff got on the phone and gave her the name and location of a tow/repair facility in Winnemucca. She argued again, but finally gave it and called them. They we going to leave my camper on the shoulder unless I paid the additional cost to tow it in, but that was minor. Whole thing took over 2 hours to get the tow truck on the way. The rest of the day went well, thanks to the Sheriff and Andreas, the tow truck driver. GS continues to pester me with renewal notices months before the end of my current policy. I think some other business might be getting my call.

Hello George,

We apologize for the experience you have had. Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. Please provide your membership and contact information in a private message. We will be reaching out to your directly to obtain additional information.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance expert review by Lauren Fix

Known for its roadside assistance services for RVs, boat trailers and motorbikes, apart from standard passenger vehicles, Good Sam Roadside Assistance offers support in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

• Unlimited towing miles: Members can get their vehicle towed to the nearest repair shop without worrying about towing miles.

• Travel-interruption expenses: If a vehicle breaks down 100 or more miles away from home, the service pays for expenses like food and lodgings.

• Automatically family coverage: All membership plans come with automatic coverage for spouse and children below 25 years of age.

• Discounts: Members are entitled to discounts at repair shops, car rental services and at more than 7,000 lodgings.

• Medical help: The service helps members find medical and legal help in case of emergencies on the road.

• Best for: Good Sam Roadside Assistance is best for families with multiple drivers, frequent vacationers and adventurers. It is designed for RV owners too.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Company Information