Find a Roadside Assistance Services partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

OnStar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OnStar?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Lori **. OnStar account # ** effective since 4/2014. Ref: case # **. (There are numerous previous case numbers from numerous similar instances.) A long time customer of the high cost navigational and phone-in-car services of OnStar, the service worked rather well for the first years, but in the past 18 months, is abominable. Operators do not speak clear good English (being from who knows what countries), are dismissive, read from scripts, and do not respond to direct questions, but just repeat over and over from their nonsensical scripts, and consistently hang up on customers. And repeat. I call back, get hung up on.

OnStar is consistently creating DANGEROUS driving conditions by leaving this driver stranded in the middle of angry, fast-moving drivers who do not appreciate a stuck, lost driver, slowing to pull over or find her bearings, while dealing with obnoxious operators ill-equipped and ill-trained to handle navigational services accurately. They just hang up. Then I have to call again and the system IS NOT WORKING. Navigation is dropped once sent to car. It does not come through. This happens over and over. Phone calls, using the hands free calling also are not able to be made and I PAY EXTRA FOR THAT. The system is not working correctly and it’s exhausting to be told that it’s the locations or signals causing the issues, since nothing has changed from when it DID work. I live in a major city with good signals and if it worked for the first few years, then it is on OnSTAR, not my location, as to why it won’t work most of the time now.

WHAT AM I PAYING FOR? This is a costly service and it isn’t working. I’ve been sent to “technical” numerous times and played open door/turn car off & on/beep beep/abracadabra games with them repeatedly. That is absurd. If OnStar can tell me my tire pressure remotely, then I expect UPDATES to also be sent remotely and I’ve done these roadside primitive measures with technical several times to no avail. It takes 15 minutes of sitting there and waiting—beep, beep, beep, beep, get the go ahead, and then it drops again!

I don’t want to be stuck anymore on the side of a road waiting for technical assistance to ascertain that they failed updates. That is obvious. How was it updated for the first few years when the system worked well? Surely OnStar is aware of their ONE Star rated reviews by thousands of people on numerous consumer sites? This is indicative of a massive amount of customers UNHAPPY WITH YOUR SERVICE, OnStar!!! You are doing something wrong and I’d be humiliated as a company to have a consistent disapproval rating everywhere of a single star. *

Last week, 5 operators hung up on me. That’s disgusting. Finally, one got me where I was going, (thank you, Sheila)… (I asked each of them to please stay with me and get me to my destination since the navigation drops off, but they did not.) When I got home, I called customer service. More hanging up. Until I got Maria (from India?) who just repeated the same thing over and over and never answered my concerns. Infuriating. I recorded the call with Maria, because it was that ridiculous and sent a copy of that recording to the CEO of GM, Mary Barra. I think she needs to know what kind of customer no-service OnStar offers its current customers.

I don’t want a service that requires technical assistance every time I use it. I don’t accept that your operators are that poorly trained that they need to hang up on any call that isn’t easy. It worked for years, Buick has checked my car and it is NOT MY VEHICLE. Therefore, it is something changed at OnStar. Not only has the service gone bad, but there is no concern or care for the drivers you leave stuck. It’s unacceptable. If you were able to update for years with no issues, why not now? Nothing in our contract states that I will have to manually sit and play games in my car to update with technical whenever I need to get to a destination. Who would pay for such silliness?

The final blow was Kali on 10/23/20. He left me on hold for THIRTY MINUTES when I called and asked to speak to a supervisor or an executive who could help me and hopefully answer my questions IN ENGLISH, about what’s happened to the services? 30 minutes on hold! Is that appropriate customer service? NO! Then it hung up. Of course. So here we are.

In August, I was told my phone had not been updated. Get it together with your UPDATES! There are no numbers or ways to reach anybody with any authority or who has any answers. What OnStar is doing is not justifiable. How shameful for such a well-known service company to not care about customers they already have and have the lowest possible public reputation. No wonder I can’t get help. YOU ARE LEAVING ME IN DANGER ON THE ROAD! I have no idea where my destinations are and that is the service I have contracted with you, OnStar. I expect in car navigation when I need it on a consistent and accurate basis. Doing right by your members is what’s RIGHT.

Since there is no way to reach an executive or supervisor, I ask that someone CALL ME instead. Do you like to wait on hold for 30 minutes for nothing? I want to talk to somebody who can answer my questions and advise me intelligently about what’s changed, what’s going on, and what to expect going forward. And I won’t hang up on YOU. Please stop training people that hanging up is the acceptable help option when frustrated. That’s atrocious. I expect to hear from an bright and qualified OnStar representative ASAP. Let’s make an effort to raise that one-star rating. Thank you. Lori **

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

This company is horrendous, and I would not recommend anyone subscribe to them. I don't know where to start. Firstly, I've used their roadside assistance 3 times in 5 years. Each and every time I've used OnStar roadside assistance, It took them more than 3 hours to get me a tow truck. Onstar tells me that they have a time limit of 90 mins, but refuses to enforce the policy with their tow providers. Secondly, When calling roadside assistance, they tell you they can't locate your vehicle. If this is the case, then why are you going to market your company as a valuable service? If I was to crash my car and be unconscious, they would have no idea where to send help to. This is why I won't sign up. Then they want to charge $15 a month just for remote features?

Tesla charges $10 for complete internet connectivity to the car and the response time is less than 10 seconds in a Tesla. They want to charge me $15 a month and make me wait 60 seconds or more for a response from the car? What kind of garbage is this? I get this alert screaming at me when I get in the car stating "This vehicle is connected to Onstar Limited services." I call them up to get them to shut it off and they tell me that I need to bring it to the dealer and pay them $129 to shut it off, and that I should have asked the dealer to disable them when I bought the car, as if I am supposed to know this before buying a GM vehicle. This is the worst connected service I've ever had the displeasure of doing business with, and I would recommend you keep your money, as the service isn't worth the money they charge for it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

ONSTAR gave my location without my authority or even asking me for it. Stay away from these people. They are tracking you. They even listen to your conversation in the car. They are spies that are working for up there.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I initially had a free OnStar trial when I bought my car in August 2017. I was more than ok with transitioning that into the least expensive OnStar plan afterwards. However, over the past few years of lots of travel and no issues, I realized I was basically throwing money down the drain when my insurance offered better roadside assistance built into the cost of my insurance. The only benefit to having OnStar would be if I rolled off the edge of a mountain and into a ravine in the middle of the night, which is unlikely.

I called on September 17, 2020 to cancel my subscription. I had to dodge the advisor's attempt to give me an extreme discount (which I'm sure would have returned to normal pricing after a few months anyway). Much to my dismay, I was charged again on October 6, 2020. While reviewing my credit card statement today (Oct 10), I noticed the charged and immediately called. The advisor gave me some bogus thing about how my billing cycle ends on the 14th of each month so this charge "should have been prorated" or something like that until my subscription ended this Wednesday. Only everyone knows you are usually charged a few days in advance of the actual billing cycle.

The reality is that my account was NOT cancelled like I asked. The advisor did give me a refund, which based on many horror stories I've seen on the web this evening, is rare. I asked that my credit card info be removed from my account since my subscription IS cancelled. I see the refund posted to my OnStar account, but it still shows an active subscription and a next billing date of November 5, 2020. I highly anticipate that my card WILL be charged again and that these scum bags will continue to try stealing my money for at least several months, if not longer, and will probably start secretly charging me again in the distant future after my guard is let down. NEVER do business with OnStar. You can get similar services from reputable, honest, and ethical organizations for half the cost. They are leeches.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I sign up for service while an hour away from home and it showed the vehicle parked at my house when we got home so I figured it was working. Then my wife said she nearly locked her keys in the car so I checked to see where I unlock it from the app. Nothing! No access. In fact the app showed the car parked at my house still. I tried updating the app, nope. I waited a couple days to see what would happen, nothing. I wake up and decide to check it again and it was still useless. I called OnStar on my cell and go through the prompts and I get left on hold for over five minutes. So I walk to the car and press the button, amazingly they are there. I tell them to end my trial service and they put me on hold two more times.

When they come back on the line the last time they inform me that they will send me a letter confirming it was canceled. A letter? Email me so I have immediate proof! Honestly for a service that uses satellite uplink and is totally tech driven they are extremely slow and provide nothing helpful to their customers. I own a successful small business and I work nights for a large nationwide automotive parts store and I intend to warn people to avoid this company. When you sell services you must actually provide them.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Yesterday, the 10th of August 2020, I left my house in Frederick, MD and started my trip towards Washington D.C. for my grandmother's funeral. I left just after noon, about an hour and half to get an hour away (needed to check in by 1:30 pm). Being the Pandemic and the wait list to get a burial in Arlington, my grandmother was finally going to be laid to rest a year to the day after she died. Being the Cemetery is closed to the public, you must have an appointment and can only show up during your appointed time. I pushed the button and asked Onstar to route me to Arlington National Cemetery.

2 hours later, 4 calls later, and being routed to a military base, a city bus depot, the guy just hanging up on me and not getting me directions, I googled the directions on my phone and finally made it to the cemetery, a full half an hour after the service. I had to beg my way in with tears streaming down my face to be able to say goodbye to the woman who raised me after my mother passed away on my eighth birthday. And I called them, still waiting for a call back and Explanation as to why they could not route me to probably the most famous cemetery in the country.

Original review: May 22, 2020

OnStar is no different from Sirius XM. We give you free trials but you better not forget to call us!!! I just spent 179.97 from December to May and I have never pushed a button on my mirror. But I didn't call to cancel my FREE service. Nice! Lucky there are no major events going on right now, you know, like a Pandemic. I just need to do a better job at making sure I manage YOUR FREE services. I would say I will do better for you next time, but there will not be one.

Original review: April 27, 2020

OnStar Welcome Call in 2015 was Clear, NO background noise and the Agent was very Courteous and understandable. OnStar Welcome Call in 2020 was A Disaster, Rude Agent, Very Noisy and Signal Broken Up.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have been a customer with OnStar for several years. I have never had to use them until recently my vehicle was stolen. I immediately contacted the police and OnStar. Onstar is a scam! I called them numerous times, never once could get any answers. After 48 hours my case was terminated, but once again I was never notified. Not only could they not locate my car, Their customer service is pathetic. Onstar is the worse experience when I had faith in their company to provide quality service. I got nothing in return, I just spent a fortune paying monthly notes for NOTHING!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Bought a 2017 GMC Canyon truck. I purchased their data plan for the Truck thru AT&T.. Really never used the service because I was leasing the truck so I was keeping the miles down. Starting in Sept 2019 I decided to start trying to use this feature, thinking I might be able to stop my XM Sirius service that I have. There were days it would work. Other days it would give me a wifi connection. But there was no internet connected, which means my cell phone or apps that require internet do not work. I contacted On-star. They had me try a bunch of stuff. No luck. Moved it up the chain of technical support. Got back to me a few days later that updates were processed. I would try.. Worked for a couple of days then stopped. Did this many times with on-star. Eventually they wanted me to take the truck to dealer. Which I did many times. All the parts were replaced on separate visits. Still does not work. I have canceled the data plan with on-star.

OnStar Company Information