Jeep

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a manual transmission. The clutch went out at approximately 52500 miles. I had it replaced and come to find out that I no longer have a 5th gear. I contacted Jeep to see if it was still under warranty. They said it was no longer under warranty and I would have to replace the transmission. I'm very disappointed that it was slightly out of warranty. I have owned Jeeps for several years now and have never had a problem to this extent. I have read many reviews on the 2010 Jeep regarding the engine and transmission. This year has several complaints. I would like for Jeep to reconsider honoring a warranty for a known issue on this vehicle.

Bought a brand new Cherokee in December of 2015. One year and two weeks with less than 10,000 miles later the transmission starting acting up (locked in 4th gear). Dealer reflashed computer and acts like it is normal maintenance. On the drive home (less than 10 miles) the problem repeats itself. A new computer was ordered and three weeks later it arrived and was installed. Three weeks after that the transmission locks up again and I was told it would take 2 more weeks to get the valve body to replace. Contacted Jeep customer care and after finally getting in touch with a person they agreed to a rental car. Well I get a call today saying that on the test drive the transmission went out (blocking an intersection) and had to be towed back. Now the transmission will be replaced in about 2 weeks.

While Jeep seems to be "trying to fix the problem" I feel like I am just being strung along until the warranty runs out and will then be stuck with repair bills. I bought a new car so I don't have to worry about these problems, instead I have a $30k unreliable and unsafe vehicle that I cannot drive. Mark my words. This car is going to cause the death of someone before long the way the transmission gives out. Maybe then FCA will do something to correct the problem for good.

My 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee has started stalling on me for a few months now and it is scary as well as frustrating. I have spent about 2k in repairs and it still is stalling. Is this a problem with Jeeps and is there a solution?

My husband got a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee a year ago and it seems as the times goes by the car is giving us more and more problems. Initially during the 90 days warranty we had we did a service on it to align the sunroof, couple months after that the car start dripping water from the side driver pillars, we brought it back to the dealer and they realigned it one more time but it didn't work. Now recently the control board was showing low pressure on the tires, we changed the tires and now 2 days ago the heat is not working. I don't know what we should do or who can help us with this. It's obviously manufacture defect. Anybody, help please.

I bought a used 07 Wrangler. Worked fine at first. However, I have had multiple issues starting about 6 months after purchase. Continuous electrical issues. Turn signals and brake lights work when they want to. Electrical door lock works when it wants to. The passenger side window does not work anymore. Also, the gear shift bushing had to be replaced several times, we are using a zip tie now and it works better than the bushings. We have had to replace the radiator due to a crack, replaced brakes and pads as well as 2 calipers due to the caliper piston not retracting after releasing the brake. Finally, something I consider a total manufacturing error, the WCM does not work properly. I have original keys but the module does not always recognize my key and will lock me out from starting my vehicle. I have to remove the fuse to reset it in order to start my car. Not happy. Will not purchase another Jeep again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep?

A great deal of vibration at stoplights. When it is in gear and you break for a full stop... stay there, OMG it is bad. So bad my feet go numb after a 1/2 hour of driving The Jeep. When using the defrost or AC it makes the Jeep shake more. Jeep told my serviceman they know it is rubber in the motor mounts causing it. But not willing to fix it. They wont fix it. Jeep says there is nothing wrong with it. I have had it to the dealership twice now.

My brand new Jeep Renegade has a loud whistle noise coming from window... it is louder than the radio. I asked dealership in Brooksville FL 3 times to fix it. They keep the car all day and at 5 pm they tell me they could not fix it. Remember that I take the day off work because they do not allow me to have a rental. Really bad customer service. Don't ever buy a Jeep.

I bought my 2016 Jeep Renegade new. I have had it since March of 2016. I am VERY dissatisfied with it and the Jeep experience. I started having problems with it around July of last year and it has literally been in and out of the shop since. I lose gas power while driving, it just does not go. Jeep's reasoning behind no gas is "the transmission is trying to find a gear." This is NOT acceptable. A car should go no matter what when you push the gas pedal down.

I have had a few close calls because my car chooses when it wants to go. I have also been told "turn your traction control off and this should fix the problem." I am not sure why this should fix my problem, my car should go when I push the gas down. I asked why I have to manually put my car in first gear, their response is "First gear is for four wheel drive." Well, there is your problem. That's why it "can't find a gear" when I am rolling forward, or turning and trying to go. Maybe it needs first gear. This is the WORST car I have EVER driven. I love how the excuses of why it drives so horribly just flow like a river. I should feel safe when I drive my car, and I don't because I don't know when it is going to happen. The problem has happened to my husband and my son.

Lemon Law help with 2016 Jeep Latitude 3.0 FWD: I bought a new Jeep from Nyle Maxwell Chrysler Dodge in Austin, Texas. From the get go, they allowed each bank to pull a hard pull credit instead of pulling one and telling banks it was a soft pull. This tanked my credit, but I digress. From the start, the wipers failed during a storm. They came loose and grabbed the other wiper and I couldn't see past 100 yards on a one lane toll! Only by the grace of God did I not crash. I found the closest Dealership and called, but service didn't care that I was traveling through Houston. They told me to leave it overnight.

I tried Rivercity location and the service manager saved the day when another service guy laughed at me when I told him I nearly could have crashed. Betty, the Service manager told me to come right in. The rain was less violent by then. Because it was a new version of Jeep, they had no parts and took the wipers off a new vehicle. A month or so later, there was a recall on wipers, which my Dealer handled when I took my Jeep in for a cruise control problem. The cruise control would not maintain a 2-3 mile range after going down even a low grade hill. It would go up to 12 miles more, and then attempt to slow, but it wasn't a smooth transition. It was Jerky, but not dramatic, but unacceptable.

They updated the computer, installed new wipers and told me that maybe the cruise control would fix by update... but it did not. I would add that I was given a rental car, but find it unacceptable that you make an appointment, and they can't look at it for 4-5 days! There seems to always be recall backlogs! The second time I took it in, I allowed a guy in service to "test drive" it home and back. My advisor drove it, too, but because no "codes" came out on computer, they couldn't do anything. Both also said that the cruise worked fine... so, I go pick it up and bam! It still does the same thing going on a hilly area in San Antonio, but not huge hills, just low to medium grade hills.

As a side note, I use my car to earn money, and each time they "test" it and give me a rental, I am without any way of making bank! My first oil change was a normal one, averaging 21 mph, but since then, I use full synthetic and it went to 24 mph. I came to work in Austin, and the auto stop and on feature stopped working. This affected the RPM, which now never goes down to zero anymore. I've burned through a tank of gas after only 150 miles, getting 19 mph! Of course this was on a Friday afternoon, too. So, I can't earn what I need, defeating the purpose of coming to Austin, and next week SXSW travelers begin to arrive. I CANNOT AFFORD TO MISS IT, YET CANNOT AFFORD TO DRIVE THIS LEMON!

The other issue is when the auto stop feature was off and I would go down a steep hill, the brakes would come on and slow me down! This sounds like a transmission problem, too! Is Chrysler waiting for the warranty to expire? I've got nearly 25,000 miles now and need help to get rid of this lemon. There is a lemon law, right? Angry and broke!

JEEP PATRIOT 2008 many suspension problem control arm tie rod, turn signal blinking fast and return to normal. It does this in wet or very damp periods, just received a notes for from FCA front and rear crossmember for certain 2008 -2012 Dodge Caliber Jeep Compass and Patriot for severely corroded P.S Be very vigilant with having your windshield change. Make sure that they don't damage the paint like they did to me and I have a rust problem.

I bought my 2015 Jeep Cherokee with 24 miles on it. From early on it has had an issue with the transmission. It basically "clunks", literally falters between gears at times during which it doesn't accelerate. Started just between 3rd and 4th but now does it between other gears. Have noted this everytime I take the vehicle in for service. Repeatedly told that until the check engine light comes on and the computer tells them what is failing, they aren't allowed to fix it. I will NEVER buy a Jeep again. So discouraged. I bought the "top" of the line, Limited Jeep Cherokee with the 3.2 engine and while it's got great bells and whistles, I hate to drive the car and I'm still paying for it. I still owe more than what I can get to trade it in, I won't sell it to a friend because of this issue.

The Service Manager at my local dealership in Wichita KS has told me and now my fiancee, because we needed to be sure I wasn't getting the talk to the hand because I'm a woman, that Chrysler is fully aware of this issue, that there are at least 2-3,000 out there doing the same thing due to the 9-speed transmission, and they continue to sell this product. Not ever to me again. I hope this stops someone from buying a Jeep and potentially getting a lemon like I've got. My concern is that I'm now at 35K miles and almost out of the warranty period and that darn light will probably come on at 37 or something. That will not be a fun day.

Third Jeep Grand Cherokee and third Jeep with electrical problems! Our current Jeep has 50,000 miles and is having problems with the door locks not working. Out of warranty (3 yrs) and will cost $1000 to fix. Internet research shows this has been a problem with Jeeps for MANY YEARS. Tell me how they are not accountable for a defect that they are continuing to produce KNOWINGLY? IS THIS NOT FRAUD? JEEP IS ENDANGERING PEOPLE BY THIS FEATURE NOT WORKING. Safety depends on being able to get into your car quickly and lock your doors quickly!

Check Engine Light/Software Updates - To begin with I am glad that you are reading this, on the other hand I am sad. Simply because you would not reading this unless you have had problems with your vehicle. I bought a new 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailblazer, bad mistake. This is the fifth Jeep I have owned and let me quite frank about it, it is a piece of garbage. If I had known the thing had been made in Italy I would not have bought it, much less traded my 2010 Jeep Liberty for it. At this date it has less than 20,000 miles on it and I have the records to show that it has had over 20 software updates done to it. Lemon law, right, the only thing that is yellow here is the Jeep representative that will not return my calls, and at this point the service manager at the dealership will not return my calls either. They know the vehicle is a piece of (well you know what).

Right, I am pissed, but who cares out there? I am writing this just to blow some steam off. Vacation time comes around and I'm afraid to go anywhere far in it. That's sad, new vehicle and no trip anywhere. Now, let me say this. I have found out the motor of this thing was designed by the same man who designed Maserati's, (or so I have been told), well he might know fast motors, but he dang sure is not an electronics guy. Really, JEEP should take pride in the fact that they used to be made in America and that they have served in many wars and stand up for the American people that bought their products. By doing so, Mr. JEEP guys, just take this piece of heap that you call a vehicle and stick it. Just pay off the remainder of my note. And in return, I promise you, I that I will never make my driveway look that bad again, by having a Jeep parked in it. If anybody out there, has any suggestions, feel free to comment about it.

Awful!!! Bought a new 2017 Grand Cherokee limited. Less than two months old and we had to have the top half of the motor rebuilt after developing a bad engine tick. My GC was in the dealership shop for 21 of my first 76 days of ownership. They were nice enough to give me a $ 15k Hyundai to drive while my $ 46k GC was in the shop. Going back to the dealership again tomorrow because the heated seats do not work, we cannot regulate the temperature inside the cabin. It will roast me one second and freeze you the next. Cannot control phone calls from the steering wheel. This vehicle is not even three months old yet. My first and last new Chrysler product.

Clock radio in jeep does not work correctly. Every other week it loses time. Time has to be adjusted. Shameful that a simple clock can't keep time properly. Other issues and has less than 25,000 miles.

No wonder used Jeeps are being sold just under the warranty expiration for such a cheap price! GOOGLE any used Jeep and you'll think you're getting a deal. Bought this vehicle from Duluth Dodge Chrysler, it was a 2014 used with 29,000 on it. It seemed to start to have odometer issues and so the odometer was replaced under warranty. It would reset miles traveled so I couldn't get exact mileage on it. I hadn't problems with it until it hit 87,000 miles, and suddenly an obscure diagnosis from the dealership, considering, Jeep and most Chrysler products have had this problem for years. First the ETC (throttle control light flashed) while traveling 30 mph uphill and then car sputtered and almost stalled out. Situation didn't happen again for another week, just after having new brakes, and rotors on the rear. The brakes didn't wear evenly either, but not much of a concern over that at the moment, considering the car is now undrivable.

While leaving a parking garage, the attendant left the vehicle run, and when I got inside, the ETC, the Engine Light, and ESC lights stayed on. Car, stalled, I followed directions by shutting car off according to the owner's manual (which is a dead giveaway Chrysler has seen this issue before) -- however, I had to inch my way home with several stops, stalls, and at one point the car jumped while I had my foot on the brake at a stoplight nearly hitting a pedestrian, because it idled so high, the entire instrument panel lit up like a Xmas tree. It just went to the dealership which I could only afford a one hour scan $220 bucks to have them say it must be an electrical issue and they had all kinds of codes come up.

I mentioned to them that this issue is fairly common with Jeeps but again, they are covering their ears and perhaps it's a problem they cannot fix because they have no idea how to repair it. They called and said, they'd like to see if they can save me money and perform some type of pigging back wire connection to the throttle. They said it was the throttle that wasn't getting enough juice, but there must be a short somewhere, but it could get expensive trying to find it, so here was their short-cut alternative.

I've read other posts here about the wires shorting out because they're too close to the camshaft or catalytic converter... I wouldn't know -- but I do know that Chrysler has been STALLING ON A RECALL for this problem for years. Had this happened on the highway and if it happens on the highway, somebody could get killed, and I'm sure there's been a few that have. Chrysler needs to have a class action lawsuit brought against them. This is a life and death situation that doesn't have to happen.

Purchased 2014 (new) Jeep Patriot from Nielsen Jeep/Dodge in East Hanover NJ Route 10. Computer on vehicle failed twice costing us hundreds in rental car fees as well as the inconvenience. The dealer does not cover the rental car and each time we drop the car off we have to wait almost a week before they will even look at it. We are also forced to pay an initial fee to determine that it is in fact a warranty issue. The computer is covered, but not the initial evaluation fee or the rental cars. I would think Nielsen/Chrysler would stand behind their product. We now have a car that is unreliable and we don't know where to turn. Is the computer going to fail again and strand us on a dark road in the middle of nowhere?

The worst vehicle that I have ever own. No... the worst investment that I have ever made. This vehicle has given me nothing but issues. I think that I may stop parking it in the garage and just park it at the mechanic every night. At 30000 the thermostat failed; at 50000 miles the water pump failed; soon after the head gasket blew; then the head itself; then the water pump again; the heat; the alarm would go off when driving; had two batteries die due to a draw somewhere; the camshaft had to be replaced; the cam sensor; oh... let's not forget the oil sender sensor and now back in the shop because it randomly stalls at speeds over 40 miles an hour. I feel like I am driving a Yugo.

My 2013 Grand Cherokee has a rear window leak that runs down the inside window into the wiper unit. Jeep would only cover it under the "basic" warranty (3 yrs/36K). Even with my extended "Lifetime" warranty, they would not cover the leak as I am past the 36k. We have 9 cars and I have NEVER know a front or rear window too loose. It's seal. REALLY JEEP?? With the recalls on both my Grand and '07 Wrangler, I will never buy another Jeep or related product. Not made like they used to be!

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty w/ 3.7L/V6 engine. The main issues is the RADIATOR made of combined plastic and aluminum components. I had my faulty radiator replaced 5 times since I bought it due to horrible leaking! This design flaw of PLASTIC components, COMBINED with the leaking the radiator ALWAYS RESULTS to ENGINE DAMAGE DUE TO 1) valve gasket busted, 2) coolant mixing into the ignition chamber or within the cylinders, 3) Valve seat problems... ALL causing CYLINDER MISFIRES. The downside... is VERY, VERY expensive as in the thousands of dollars! Radiator's hose are also troublesome. There are many issues with Jeep's product and 3.7L engine design, that many in the World wide web consider it a JUNK (SCIENCE). Wondering, they have discontinued the LIBERTY design?

What I have observed is the MIXED plastic components also found in its interiors, electronic issues, fan clutch issues, power steering noise issue including rack & pinions, hoses and belts and become easily TOO "rotten", I have been upkeep with maintenance: Synthetic engine oil, transmission fluid exchange, Coolant exchange, Rear diff exchange, Air filters, BELTs and tensioner, etc. BUT still it boils down to the Radiator plus minus ENGINE cooling components. FEEL the HEAAATTTTT! LESSON I've learned. STAY AWAY from a JEEP PRODUCT!

I had rented a Jeep compass 12/09/16 and that day I had a roll over accident. I drive professionally and that day I drove at a safe speed for the road conditions. Speed at about fifteen to twenty mph before applying the brake. It had snowed and there was ice conditions. I attempted to stop at a stop sign on a paved road base when the car began to shut down (clicking noises) but the car seemed to pick up momentum. As the car ran through the stop area. The road changed from paved base to a dirt road base. I continued to apply the brake.

As the car came upon the dirt road I was hoping the dirt road would provide grab but the momentum continued. The car slid from about twenty feet when applying the brake before the stop sign plus across about a twenty-foot dirt road base slipping for a total of about forty feet. As I viewed the ditch (luckily no water in it) I was headed for, with a ten foot drop, I thought I did all that I could and prepared for the hurt that I and the car will have. And now, two days later, I use the term "terminator". I felt the car had its on will. Applying the brake did nothing. I hope this vehicle is recalled because I could of easily not have been viable now.

The transmission on my 2015 has been recalled. It takes attention to shifting and does not have a positive feel for which gear it goes into. I have driven a new Jeep every 2 yrs. and have been happy in the past. I hate the new electronic controlled 9 gear shift mechanism. Before Fiat got involved the Jeeps were great.

Simply - I love my jeep. Bought this 06 in 2011, but have never been happier w/ a vehicle before. I've owned a few, even classics. But my jeep can go anywhere, has the power, turning capabilities, comfort and design as well as the stereo system is awesome. My dogs even love it!!! I love my Commander!!

Great vehicle, has had very few maintenance issues. I have owned three Jeeps and have had terrific experiences with each. The cars have been reliable, durable and gotten me through plenty of varied weather and terrain with no issues. I would definitely recommend Jeeps to anyone looking for a reasonably priced trustworthy SUV.

It's clumsy, ugly, has far too many problems and was apparently built with cheap parts. This vehicle was clearly manufactured to give regular problems so that the owner would spend as much as possible on parts.

We bought a jeep from Airpark Jeep in Scottsdale, AZ on October 1st 2016. Airpark finance department told us in writing that Chase Bank was our lender. We received the payment book and promptly made our first payment and set up auto payment to Chase Bank the first week of November. On November 21st, we started receiving phone calls from Ally Financial stating we missed our payment!

We never received notification from Airpark that Ally held the note on our Jeep and not Chase Bank. We never received any loan payment information indicating we had a loan with Ally Financial. We did receive loan payment information from Chase bank so we promptly paid the loan. Airpark discovered there are/were two loan contracts created for our vehicle, BUT they neglected to notify us that they submitted our contract to a new lender.

We continue to get daily phone calls from Ally after we escalated the calls to Ally's management team where they assured us the calls would stop, and they would be working with Airpark dealership's financial department to get this straightened out ASAP. The Dealership financial management became involved after we couldn't get responses or returned calls from our finance contact person. Airpark has assured us this is being taken care of but we continue to receive harassing phone calls from Ally Financial every day!

We now have to wait and field the calls and pray that this mess is cleaned up BEFORE it is submitted to the credit agencies which will destroy our credit!!!!

SERIOUSLY?!? We are being harassed DAILY for something we can't control and Airpark Finance department now states it is out of their control. How did they let this happen and NOT notify their client to any changes???

This vehicle has to be the worst investment that I have ever made. I have had nothing but problems with the Jeep Liberty since I bought it. Within two months of purchase, the water pump blew. Since then, I've had to replace the pump again, the thermostat and head gasket. It is back in the shop after being towed AGAIN.

Handles well and is solid. I have a liberty limited, get great mileage for the size engine. The company just needs to do a better job for fixing the back passenger window and the driver's seat belt that don't always stay clipped.

Jeep built to last. Jeep liberty is great on gas mileage being a diesel. It's great with pulling trailers and hauling. Great performance. Been in our family for years. We love it. Does what its name stands for... JEEP.

Would not stand behind warranty. The driver's side mirror broke when it would not fold as designed. Dealership would not replace. Cost me $487. Called FCA line and all they do is back the dealer so what's the point? Also Jay the caseworker was unprofessional and hung up on me.

Jeep Company Profile