Jeep

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

No wonder used Jeeps are being sold just under the warranty expiration for such a cheap price! GOOGLE any used Jeep and you'll think you're getting a deal. Bought this vehicle from Duluth Dodge Chrysler, it was a 2014 used with 29,000 on it. It seemed to start to have odometer issues and so the odometer was replaced under warranty. It would reset miles traveled so I couldn't get exact mileage on it. I hadn't problems with it until it hit 87,000 miles, and suddenly an obscure diagnosis from the dealership, considering, Jeep and most Chrysler products have had this problem for years. First the ETC (throttle control light flashed) while traveling 30 mph uphill and then car sputtered and almost stalled out. Situation didn't happen again for another week, just after having new brakes, and rotors on the rear. The brakes didn't wear evenly either, but not much of a concern over that at the moment, considering the car is now undrivable.

While leaving a parking garage, the attendant left the vehicle run, and when I got inside, the ETC, the Engine Light, and ESC lights stayed on. Car, stalled, I followed directions by shutting car off according to the owner's manual (which is a dead giveaway Chrysler has seen this issue before) -- however, I had to inch my way home with several stops, stalls, and at one point the car jumped while I had my foot on the brake at a stoplight nearly hitting a pedestrian, because it idled so high, the entire instrument panel lit up like a Xmas tree. It just went to the dealership which I could only afford a one hour scan $220 bucks to have them say it must be an electrical issue and they had all kinds of codes come up.

I mentioned to them that this issue is fairly common with Jeeps but again, they are covering their ears and perhaps it's a problem they cannot fix because they have no idea how to repair it. They called and said, they'd like to see if they can save me money and perform some type of pigging back wire connection to the throttle. They said it was the throttle that wasn't getting enough juice, but there must be a short somewhere, but it could get expensive trying to find it, so here was their short-cut alternative.

I've read other posts here about the wires shorting out because they're too close to the camshaft or catalytic converter... I wouldn't know -- but I do know that Chrysler has been STALLING ON A RECALL for this problem for years. Had this happened on the highway and if it happens on the highway, somebody could get killed, and I'm sure there's been a few that have. Chrysler needs to have a class action lawsuit brought against them. This is a life and death situation that doesn't have to happen.

Purchased 2014 (new) Jeep Patriot from Nielsen Jeep/Dodge in East Hanover NJ Route 10. Computer on vehicle failed twice costing us hundreds in rental car fees as well as the inconvenience. The dealer does not cover the rental car and each time we drop the car off we have to wait almost a week before they will even look at it. We are also forced to pay an initial fee to determine that it is in fact a warranty issue. The computer is covered, but not the initial evaluation fee or the rental cars. I would think Nielsen/Chrysler would stand behind their product. We now have a car that is unreliable and we don't know where to turn. Is the computer going to fail again and strand us on a dark road in the middle of nowhere?

The worst vehicle that I have ever own. No... the worst investment that I have ever made. This vehicle has given me nothing but issues. I think that I may stop parking it in the garage and just park it at the mechanic every night. At 30000 the thermostat failed; at 50000 miles the water pump failed; soon after the head gasket blew; then the head itself; then the water pump again; the heat; the alarm would go off when driving; had two batteries die due to a draw somewhere; the camshaft had to be replaced; the cam sensor; oh... let's not forget the oil sender sensor and now back in the shop because it randomly stalls at speeds over 40 miles an hour. I feel like I am driving a Yugo.

My 2013 Grand Cherokee has a rear window leak that runs down the inside window into the wiper unit. Jeep would only cover it under the "basic" warranty (3 yrs/36K). Even with my extended "Lifetime" warranty, they would not cover the leak as I am past the 36k. We have 9 cars and I have NEVER know a front or rear window too loose. It's seal. REALLY JEEP?? With the recalls on both my Grand and '07 Wrangler, I will never buy another Jeep or related product. Not made like they used to be!

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty w/ 3.7L/V6 engine. The main issues is the RADIATOR made of combined plastic and aluminum components. I had my faulty radiator replaced 5 times since I bought it due to horrible leaking! This design flaw of PLASTIC components, COMBINED with the leaking the radiator ALWAYS RESULTS to ENGINE DAMAGE DUE TO 1) valve gasket busted, 2) coolant mixing into the ignition chamber or within the cylinders, 3) Valve seat problems... ALL causing CYLINDER MISFIRES. The downside... is VERY, VERY expensive as in the thousands of dollars! Radiator's hose are also troublesome. There are many issues with Jeep's product and 3.7L engine design, that many in the World wide web consider it a JUNK (SCIENCE). Wondering, they have discontinued the LIBERTY design?

What I have observed is the MIXED plastic components also found in its interiors, electronic issues, fan clutch issues, power steering noise issue including rack & pinions, hoses and belts and become easily TOO "rotten", I have been upkeep with maintenance: Synthetic engine oil, transmission fluid exchange, Coolant exchange, Rear diff exchange, Air filters, BELTs and tensioner, etc. BUT still it boils down to the Radiator plus minus ENGINE cooling components. FEEL the HEAAATTTTT! LESSON I've learned. STAY AWAY from a JEEP PRODUCT!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep?

I had rented a Jeep compass 12/09/16 and that day I had a roll over accident. I drive professionally and that day I drove at a safe speed for the road conditions. Speed at about fifteen to twenty mph before applying the brake. It had snowed and there was ice conditions. I attempted to stop at a stop sign on a paved road base when the car began to shut down (clicking noises) but the car seemed to pick up momentum. As the car ran through the stop area. The road changed from paved base to a dirt road base. I continued to apply the brake.

As the car came upon the dirt road I was hoping the dirt road would provide grab but the momentum continued. The car slid from about twenty feet when applying the brake before the stop sign plus across about a twenty-foot dirt road base slipping for a total of about forty feet. As I viewed the ditch (luckily no water in it) I was headed for, with a ten foot drop, I thought I did all that I could and prepared for the hurt that I and the car will have. And now, two days later, I use the term "terminator". I felt the car had its on will. Applying the brake did nothing. I hope this vehicle is recalled because I could of easily not have been viable now.

The transmission on my 2015 has been recalled. It takes attention to shifting and does not have a positive feel for which gear it goes into. I have driven a new Jeep every 2 yrs. and have been happy in the past. I hate the new electronic controlled 9 gear shift mechanism. Before Fiat got involved the Jeeps were great.

Simply - I love my jeep. Bought this 06 in 2011, but have never been happier w/ a vehicle before. I've owned a few, even classics. But my jeep can go anywhere, has the power, turning capabilities, comfort and design as well as the stereo system is awesome. My dogs even love it!!! I love my Commander!!

Great vehicle, has had very few maintenance issues. I have owned three Jeeps and have had terrific experiences with each. The cars have been reliable, durable and gotten me through plenty of varied weather and terrain with no issues. I would definitely recommend Jeeps to anyone looking for a reasonably priced trustworthy SUV.

We bought a jeep from Airpark Jeep in Scottsdale, AZ on October 1st 2016. Airpark finance department told us in writing that Chase Bank was our lender. We received the payment book and promptly made our first payment and set up auto payment to Chase Bank the first week of November. On November 21st, we started receiving phone calls from Ally Financial stating we missed our payment!

We never received notification from Airpark that Ally held the note on our Jeep and not Chase Bank. We never received any loan payment information indicating we had a loan with Ally Financial. We did receive loan payment information from Chase bank so we promptly paid the loan. Airpark discovered there are/were two loan contracts created for our vehicle, BUT they neglected to notify us that they submitted our contract to a new lender.

We continue to get daily phone calls from Ally after we escalated the calls to Ally's management team where they assured us the calls would stop, and they would be working with Airpark dealership's financial department to get this straightened out ASAP. The Dealership financial management became involved after we couldn't get responses or returned calls from our finance contact person. Airpark has assured us this is being taken care of but we continue to receive harassing phone calls from Ally Financial every day!

We now have to wait and field the calls and pray that this mess is cleaned up BEFORE it is submitted to the credit agencies which will destroy our credit!!!!

SERIOUSLY?!? We are being harassed DAILY for something we can't control and Airpark Finance department now states it is out of their control. How did they let this happen and NOT notify their client to any changes???

This vehicle has to be the worst investment that I have ever made. I have had nothing but problems with the Jeep Liberty since I bought it. Within two months of purchase, the water pump blew. Since then, I've had to replace the pump again, the thermostat and head gasket. It is back in the shop after being towed AGAIN.

Handles well and is solid. I have a liberty limited, get great mileage for the size engine. The company just needs to do a better job for fixing the back passenger window and the driver's seat belt that don't always stay clipped.

Jeep built to last. Jeep liberty is great on gas mileage being a diesel. It's great with pulling trailers and hauling. Great performance. Been in our family for years. We love it. Does what its name stands for... JEEP.

Would not stand behind warranty. The driver's side mirror broke when it would not fold as designed. Dealership would not replace. Cost me $487. Called FCA line and all they do is back the dealer so what's the point? Also Jay the caseworker was unprofessional and hung up on me.

I bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport for my son. It was new and had a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. He meticulously maintained this vehicle. It had a complete engine failure with 3 days left on the warranty and 48,000 miles on the odometer. The dealer had a computer failure and wouldn't take the car in. I had it towed there the next week--they would not honor the warranty because it went out of service over the weekend. I had multiple customer service reps at Jeep that said it would be covered--but when it came down to it--they only covered half--costing me over $2500.00 for a product that failed under warranty. Never, ever buy a Jeep or Chrysler product. THEY WILL NOT DO THE RIGHT THING. I have always tried to buy American--but seriously--that is no longer a concern of mine and please DON'T BUY A JEEP PRODUCT. You will regret it!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot with just under 35k miles. I took my jeep in for an oil change and the transmission dipstick tube is rusted thru and broke off. I haven't even had to change the trans fluid yet. I called Chrysler llc who said they would work with me but I had to go to a dealership. I went to Larry H Miller dealership who said they would cover the costs of repair but I had to pay $140 for the diagnosis. The part itself is only $40... They are scamming me. I will find a mechanic who is not affiliated with Chrysler. My relationship with Chrysler is over!

I am writing because I purchased a pre owned certified car and 2 days later a/c had terrible musty chemical smell every time it was turned on. Brought back to dealership 48 hours after purchased, they lied and never told us they had policy where they take car back if within 5 days, instead they jerked our around for over a month and the car was in service 3 times and yet no service, invoices documented. Contacted GM since day of purchase and still no word from him. I have also left numerous messages for serv. mgr. Mike who stated "We want you happy. Call me anytime" and once again, no callback. NOW, FILED COMPLAINTS WITH JEEP CORP., DCH CORP. because this could be detrimental to my health and wife's or any other passenger.

Very disappointed with my 2015 Grand Cherokee V8 High Altitude - when accelerating from hard stop it pulls to the right - always. This drives me nuts. I was told by dealer that it is because of the "crown of the road". So, I did the test on the left side of the road (it should have pulled me to the left) but it is same behavior - it pulls to the right. Has anyone have the same problem? Dealer did alignment 3 times with no success in solving the problem. They blame the air suspension and electronic steering wheel support. Please help.

I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot that has a massive oil leak from the engine valve cover. This is covered in the warranty as part of the powertrain unlimited mile warranty. When I called to make an appointment they told me I had to wait a week for a diagnostic appointment that will cost me $105 and take 24-48 hours. They will not offer me a loaner or rental even though it is a manufacturer malfunction. Then, if they determine that it is covered under warranty their engine technician is backed up for 3-4 weeks. Meanwhile I'm scared that my engine will catch on fire because I can smell the oil burning while I drive!!! I've decide to take it to the mechanic and pay for the repair myself. This is ridiculous. I will never buy a Jeep vehicle again.

I just got a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee from car-mart in St. Joseph, Missouri. I started having problems the day after I got it. First problem: while driving, I rolled up driver's window, the radio popped, turned itself off and back on. Second problem: driving home from work at night, turned the headlights on, the abs light, the brake light and the radio started flashing off and on. Also while that happens, the speed odometer goes to 0 while you are driving and stays there. Third problem: driving home again, the lights and radio start flashing again. The speed odometer goes to 0 again. Fourth problem: started leaking gas from the fuel pressure regulator. Car lot had that fixed.

My husband and I took the jeep home just to discover, there was no air filter in the jeep. Not very good since I live on a dirt road! We went to get a air filter for it. Brought the filter home and put it in the jeep. I started to test drive it to see if the jeep ran better. Didn't make it far! Now the number 1 injector is running gas so bad that you cannot even start it! I called car-mart to let them know I did not want the jeep. We were suppose to pay 9,000.00 dollars for this jeep. I have had the jeep for 3 days as of 6:30 tonight. My husband put a 1,500.00 dollar deposit down on this jeep for me to have a safe vehicle for winter. Now we are being told that we cannot get the 1,500.00 dollars back! Is there not a lemon law? We are not very happy with this at all! I hope someone sees this that will help me.

Bought it new from Lester Glenn, Toms River NJ, paid 42k. Was originally offered a year of free oil changes in writing, they never honored them - too much hassle so I just do it myself. Constantly receiving recall notices since 8 months after purchase and to this day (10/2016), Schedule with Cherry Hill Triplex to perform said recalls on several occasions - take off from work and then they tell me they don't have the parts and to keep calling them like it's my responsibility?? This has happened twice so far.

Third time they actually repaired the visor recalled due to possible fire damage. Tried to get leather dash fixed, scheduled a time, took a day off, got there and they said warranty guy was off today, eventually got there when he was in and he look at the dash issues bubbling - signs of peeling with around 20k miles on it, they said it wasn't covered and never even documented the visit. So now I have only 27k miles but exceeded the three year limit so Jeep Corporate says they would have covered it under warranty but not now, they offered a "friendly", "We'll pay the labor. You pay towards the dash @ $800 or something." I spent like 12k extra for all the fancy leather & gadgets and it won't even last 4 years.

We were stopped at a red light when my 1999 Jeep took off by itself. Even with both feet trying to hold the breaks we still ended up going thru the intersection. Very scary. Then about 20 minutes later on interstate the Jeep slowed itself down to 30 mph when we were originally traveling at 75 mph.

We are the unfortunate owners of a 2013 Jeep wrangler. To put it bluntly, this machine is a hunk of junk!!! We've had nothing but electric problems, sensors crapping out costing loads of money. Wires melting because they're too close to the catalytic converter. Can't wait for this thing to go on fire. One short after another. And we're told it's out of warranty and Chrysler won't do a damn thing. So stay away from these Jeeps!!!

I bought my Jeep Liberty Jet in 2014 at 21000 miles, is now 33000 mi. In August I was at the Jersey Shore driving on hwy going 55 mi, car dashboard light up then turned off, lost power. I had no control of acceleration pedal - dropped down to 25 mph, was lucky no cars was behind me. I pulled over to shoulder of road. I turned off car engine then turned back on, it was fine then happened two more times.

Another time night interior light came on, didn't go off when I turned off car, did it manually, keyless entry does not work to start car on both keys. I changed battery - first time happened. 2 months after bought car then last month other one don't work. On dashboard gate ajar light does not go off even though flipper glass and lift gate works fine, however I do see when it rains the inside if flipper glass edge inside is wet.

When I turn on headlights when dusk outside my dashboard fades out. Bought it to Jeep dealer in Paramus. They said I need to repair TIPM wire and need rear tailgate actuator repair. They said it will cost $1050. Some of these things happened after the recall of the faulty airbags were installed. Also had a misfire #5 code, had it fixed 2 months ago. This car has more issues than Vogue. Hope Chrysler recognizes there are a couple of people on car complaints.com and other website blogs having same problem.

Car drives ok but I don't feel safe driving it on hwy. This is my second jeep. I love the car. I buy American Trust in the work but who knows where the parts are being made. Spoke to dealer, lemon law, Jeep complaints, blogged, want to let others know they can be in danger, none of their agencies can do anything about this issue. I have no choice but to pay out of pocket for something that looks like it is a recall/defect especially with the TIPM. Going to get it fixed before I get killed by this jeep.

I can honestly say that I will NEVER own another Chrysler product. Even if someone gives one to me, if I win one in a sweepstakes or inherit one it will quickly be sold. I am a car enthusiast and have owned many, many cars in my 30 years of driving... all different makes, but mostly Fords. I've also restored many 50's - 60's cars and can attest to the fact that cars today are not built nearly as well as they were back then.

I bought my 1997 Grand Cherokee used, with 80,000 miles on it and at the same time, bought a 1997 Ford Expedition for my wife with 81,500 miles. For comparison sake, the Expedition now has 247,000 miles and I've changed the spark plugs & plug wires (at 200k), and a couple of various gaskets here and there and the alternator (at 225k). All of the power windows and door locks work, the ac blows cold (both front and rear air), it still runs quiet and smooth, still looks good - paint is just starting to fade on the top a little... is a pleasure to drive and I would not be afraid to jump in the Expedition and drive across the country right now.

The Grand Cherokee now has 160,000 miles on it and I've had to replace: The radiator (plastic tank blew out), water pump (twice), fan clutch, Crankshaft Position Sensor (twice), head (it was cracked) & head gasket, starter (twice), rear axle (carrier bearing was making a horrible noise now the outer axle bearings on the new axle are whining), power steering hose, bushing on the front stabilizer bar... the freeze plug in the back of the head rusted out (which, I understand was common on the 4.0). It leaks oil and tranny fluid even though the seals have been replaced. There was a primer defect, so the paint is peeling off of the top and hood. The power windows still work, but all of the power lock motors are shot (including the one on the liftgate).

The driver door hinge bushings are bad, so the driver's door sags which causes misalignment with the latch and as a result, the super-thin metal on the door has cracked and I had to put some huge washers on there to hold the latch in place. The WORST problem I've experienced with the Grand Cherokee is with the electrical connections - the pins in the connectors on the 3 wiring harnesses that connect to the PCM are like needles, instead of the "blade" style connectors that Ford uses. As the plastic ages, the connectors become loose and because of the poor design, this causes a plethora of issues including, but not limited to: intermittent stalling (usually at the WORST possible time, like in the middle of an intersection) and will not start back up for 2 minutes intermittently running rough and backfiring (which usually blows the muffler and ruins the cats), intermittently will not start when cold, etc, etc.

So, every 4 months or so, I remove the washer fluid tank remove the 3 connectors from the PCM and clean them thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner and use about 10 heavy duty zip-ties to secure the connectors back to the PCM. Then, and only then, will it run without stalling on me. Maybe! The drain plug for the ac evaporator is poorly designed, so it gets plugged up and water leaks onto the passenger floorboard during the summer time when I'm running the ac and I mean A LOT of water (the passenger floorboard is flooded)! The only way to fix it is to drill a hole in the drain and use compressed air to clean it out (you have to do this once every couple of months). The headlights keep blowing bulbs. I had to remove the plastic lenses and re-seal them with silicone to the keep condensation out. I'm sure I've missed several things - the Grand Cherokees (and possibly other model Jeeps) are just VERY, VERY, POORLY made!

I bought my Cherokee brand new from Heritage Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat of Owings Mills, MD. For the last 10 months, my vehicle has been shutting off while driving. In addition to shutting off while in motion, it is very jerky, hesitant, my 4x4 system has failed out of nowhere, and both the dealer and manufacturer have no idea, nor care to, fix it. My car is still under warranty with less than 35,000 miles. FCA customer service is a joke. I had to escalate to a manager with a certified letter with hopes to getting results before I sue the company in totality for selling a vehicle with known issues. I should have done more research before purchasing this vehicle because I see nothing but horror stories. A class action lawsuit needs to be filed against this manufacturer for putting customers' lives at risk.

Let me start from the beginning. I bought a brand new 2015 Jeep Renegade. First week the brakes and rotors had to be changed then week 2 I took in for capless gas tank not letting me fit the nozzle in and an extremely rough idle. They did a software update on it and said nothing was wrong with the gas tank. Next, I take in again because motor is extremely rough and still not able to put the nozzle in without having to fight with the nozzle and force it in. Salesmen and managers all experience this and the extremely rough idle. They tell me the parts are on back order so I take to another dealership who does 5 more motor updates and I call customer care about the parts being on back order and them not being able to fix the rough idle either. She tells me they would overnight the parts. This actually takes a week.

I ask for a rental car and they tell me that there none available because of the long weekend which is a lie so I ask Sarah the customer care lady in charge of my case if I can rent my own and be reimbursed, she tells me yes. I go pick up my car a week later and still vibrates off and on like a week later. At this point I have had it in 4 times for the same issue. The customer care lady would do nothing! She tells me I have to keep taking it in as long as it takes! I was so frustrated by her customer service and the lady at the car service center that I just traded it in and lost 4000.00 on trade in! Their customer case managers are the worse people to have to deal with! And to top it off, they said they wouldn't pay for the rental car because I got rid of the piece of junk and they closed the case!

I am absolutely astounded that Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler is selling automobiles. I purchased a brand new car in 2015 and it has broken down 9 times, I am going nuts. Dealership does nothing... no integrity... Zeigler Dodge of Schaumburg is a travesty. Chrysler ignores complaints while I ride my bike.

In June of this year I purchased a 2015 Jeep Cherokee latitude. Four months into purchase I was on the side of the road. In rush hour traffic I found myself not going anywhere. The engine light came on and the 4x4 displayed a temporary unavailable light. As I sat on the side of the road crying I was helpless. I managed to get to a parking lot escorted by roadside assistance. The jeep was towed to Jeep, where it remains. The frustrating part, is I don't have a car. My car is my way to get my son to school and myself to work. I am a case manager so my car is heavily relied on for my job, my income. The dealership is charging me 120.00 just to figure out what's wrong, but it's obvious a transmission issue. So that is 120.00 dollars I don't have. Being a single mother that is a lot of money. It's frustrating beyond words. I can only hope my review helps someone else.

I bought my 2011 Jeep Liberty from CarMax in White Marsh MD. The night I took the vehicle above 50 mph the roof had a very noisy air leak. I have had the gasket replaced within the first 30 days and there was no noise until two weeks later when it came back even louder. I complained to CarMax who then told me it was a manufacturer's design flaw and everyone (except me and my salesman) are aware of the sky roof's problematic history. I was told by CarMax to take it to a Jeep dealership to have them fix it because they could do no more for me. Really? I have read horror stories online since and some are paying $5,000 to repair/replace the sky roof and it still leaks. Please let me know what options are available to me. Thank you.

Jeep Company Profile