Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.71/5

Jeep Grand Cherokee

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a roomy SUV that's great for off-road adventures. Read more Jeep reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

387 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have had it for 25 years now. The motor is just as strong as when I got it. I chose the Cherokee because it was a 4x4. It has all power inside. It was also bigger than other makes and models. It fits my family and 2 big dogs well. And even with my family in the car there is still room for my shopping. It has all power inside. The seats fold down completely or you can put down one side or the other. However, I have always had issues with are the headlight covers. They have a coating on them that starts to turn the plastic yellow. Also, I would make it so the factory alarm could be shut down or taken out if you did not want to use it. If it goes bad your car will not run.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

The leather interior and heated seats of the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition were my top two favorite features especially in the NY wintertime when the average temperature runs so cold that drivers are lucky to be able to get their doors open or their windows rolled down because cars in this type of cold freeze shut. Leather seats keep chill in them pretty well so the fact that this car came equipped with seat heaters that warmed up within just a minute or two was just dreamy. Also, I loved the sunroof/moonroof on this Jeep, great perk.

This was the first time that I ever drove a big truck/SUV on a regular basis after driving smaller cars throughout my life. And since I'm used to driving regular cars, getting the hang of handling it smooth was an issue. Also, the money I had to spend for gasoline was ridiculous. The gas tank was huge already, so required a lot of gas to fill up. I generally put in $10 to $15 maximum and gas up more often than full tank fillers. And I found myself having to put in that amount of gas on a daily basis and that was a while fresh new financial hell for me to navigate.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My overall experience with the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been positive. Now that we are retired, we travel often. Sometimes with kids and grandkids. We occasionally fly but almost always we drive, and this is the perfect vehicle. I like its appearance and solidity. It is reliable, roomy, comfortable and safe. And these are all important to me. We also need 4 wheel drive because we live in the mountains. However, I do wish it got better mileage. And since we travel with the grandkids often, I wish there were more little 'nooks' where they could store their stuff and more drink holders. Other than that, I'm a satisfied customer.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

It's a very good looking car. Great color that is hard to fade or ding. Good looking interior with comfortable seats and room for our animals. I like the easy to read dash and good stereo. Love the CD player and able to adjust to fit just right. But I wish there's a car lighter, more cup holders and better speakers in back. Also, Make it easier to add the essential fluids to engine (oil, water, brake fluid, transmission fluid, windshield fluid) and better way not to have gasket (where you fill the gas tank) fail as it is an impossible repair & hard to find in 1st place when engine light is on. Overall, this vehicle has great all around value and lots of longevity with little repairs. Reliable and great riding in all conditions and in almost all terrains.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have owned my Jeep Liberty for 11 years and I love it. I purchased it because I previously owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that I also loved. I wanted a newer vehicle so I didn't have to make so many repairs but I couldn't afford a new Grand Cherokee. I knew I wanted to get another Jeep, and the Liberty was affordable for me at the time. However, I wish it was a little roomier and not so compact. If there are other people riding along it seems like there isn't enough room for drinks or purses, etc. Also, the seats are not as comfortable as my Grand Cherokee was and the interior fabric on seats is very cheap. Nevertheless, the 4 wheel drive is a must for where I live. It is a sport model with AC and a CD player.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Original review: April 7, 2019

Bought Japanese since 1989. Thought I would give USA another chance in 2018. Bad Bad Bad mistake. Issues: Head lights -Like driving with a blindfold. If you go more than 30 mph on an unlit side street, you WILL hit something. Purchased Philips X-Treme Vision headlamps for $130.00 just made everything brighter but you still can't see the side of the road. The headlights criss-cross and almost meet about 25 ft ahead. Took it to the dealer at least 4 times...not any better. Decided to buy out lease and sell this piece of junk.

Nav system-Catch this: To turn on the Nav you must first turn on the radio and then mute it. What is that all about. Then there is a separate button to blank screen. No planning at all went into this design. The dash is extremely distracting. Even the radio is tough. The bright light button is opposite every other car on the road. It rides bumpy and if you take your eyes off the road for more than a second you will end up in another lane or on someone's porch. Funny they didn't put the blinker on the opposite side. LOL. My 2005 MDX that I dearly miss after 13 yrs of heaven, It was like driving in the daylight. The road lit up the sidewalks lit up you could go 90 and never outrun the headlights. Will take a loss when I sell it but at least I may be alive!

Original review: March 10, 2019

My 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee just accelerated by itself up a sidewalk at a parking lot and ran into the pillar of a building. I then put it in reverse and it accelerated into a car parked beside me. The front axle snapped completely even though the impact was not tremendous. This vehicle has all kinds of impact sensors and usually brakes on its own even when it senses a leaf from a nearby bush and none of that worked. This happened just yesterday and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I cannot believe my internet search has yielded so many similar stories!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

So as it goes and other have similar comments, I spent 60K on my 2014 Grand Cherokee and the 1st 70K was an awesome experience then all of a sudden we need to change the brakes. Rotors now warp every 5K - 7K mile and the dealership which has a 2 year warranty will not honor it after the 4th set replaced in less than a year and my leather wrapped dash is bubbling all over the place and the Jeep wants 3K to replace the hole dash. After having a heated discussion over the brake the service manager actually had the never to insult my wife and tell me it is driver error. Same driver since new, same highway driving patterns as well. This is completely disrespectful and unprofessional.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland that has cost me close to $8,000 in out of warranty repairs and only has 81,000 kilometers. I had previously complained on the FCA website but received no response. I am very disappointed in the poor customer service and that Jeep doesn't stand behind their vehicles.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I purchased a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Feb 2017. On Oct. 5, 2018. I was driving to my boss's house for a retirement party. My 19 yr old daughter and my 69yr old mother were in the car. They were going to go shopping while I was at the party, then come pick me up after. I arrived at the house, put the car in park and even set the parking brake for safety. I got out of the vehicle and proceeded into the house. My daughter got in the drivers seat, pressed on the break and then released the parking brake. With her foot still on the break, she then tried to shift the car into drive. The car wouldn't shift. Then she saw the message on the dash, "Key fob has left the vehicle". She still had her foot on the break, released the break, unhooked her seatbelt and started to exit the vehicle to come get the key fob from me. She got out of the vehicle, was about to close the door and it started to roll. My mother yelled at her to get back in, but she could not.

The car knocked my daughter down and she rolled down the embankment. The jeep continued to roll down the hill, through a yard and slammed into a house!! All the while with my mother in the passenger seat!! When I got down to the jeep it was still running and in the "park" position. We have tried to contact Jeep to have them come and investigate the vehicle, however, they have given every reason in the book as to why no one could make it to Washington State. Thankfully there were no injuries to any humans, but the property damage and the money we are out to get another vehicle is insane!

I would have expected Jeep to be all over this since there was a similar incident that killed that actor in LA. But we have heard nothing! We love the Jeep brand and have never had any trouble with Jeep as a company. They have always taken care of us when something has gone wrong or needed fixed. But this! This is a disappointment. They could have a potential RECALL on their hands and they are choosing to ignore it!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Takata recall upon driving MT Jeep GC on the highway this morning, everything was going fine. I exited the highway at stop light and as usual, the stop/start engaged. When the light turned green I lifted my foot off the brake so the car will start again but it didn’t. So I turned off the radio and auto light and forced the car to natural and pressed the start button and car started. On gauge display a red battery light came on and a message that said "park car, vehicle will shut down soon", so I drove around 15 mins to find a safe parking spot and stopped in supermarket parking lot. 2 min later the car shut down.

I carry with me portable jumper so I opened the hood and connected it but no power was reaching. So I lifted the passenger seat and gained access to the main battery and connected the jumper directly to the terminals but still, no power was circulating. So I connected it to the auxiliary battery and power was there. And the car started. But not safe to drive. I picked up my Jeep four days ago new from the dealer, so when this happened my car had 250 miles on it.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I bought a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited from September of 2016. 6 months later I started having problems with the remote start not working. Took it in and they said it was a bad battery. Worked fine for 4 months, then the remote start quit working and the starter button inside of the vehicle. Then I started getting Service 4WD, Stop/Start not available and a bunch of other stuff. Took it in. Said it was a powertrain module. Needless to say - 5 service visits later and problems escalating, my car is still not fixed. They have had it for over 2 months and it is one thing after another. They don't have the parts and generally can't get it done. But they don't understand why I'm upset because they have given me a loaner vehicle which is a stock Dodge Ram 1500 pickup with no remote start, no backup alert, no seat warmers and I can barely get into it it is so high off the ground.

On top of that, some idiot Armor-Alled the floorboards in the front seat and there are no mats so when you try and get in, your feet slide all over the place. They told me Monday that now they have to replace the alternator (again after having it for 2 1/2 months) and they didn't know if they could find the part in town. Haven't heard from them since. Unless you call them, they don't communicate. Craig, the Service (ha, ha) Manager, told me he'd get back to me within 24 hours when I called to complain about the service two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for that phone call. Unfortunately, because more than a year has passed since I bought it, even though it has been in the shop continually, this LEMON does not qualify for the LEMON law. But I do have other recourses and I am looking into them. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This Jeep is my third jeep and I am extremely disappointed. I have owned a Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee and now this Trailhawk. I feel like each Jeep I own, there are more and more issues that plague these vehicles. Most recently I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, since acquiring this, it has required a new transmission (under 20,000). This vehicle also required some other work (which slips my mind at the moment) that was done six months outside of the 3-year warranty. The cost was roughly $2700, thankfully Mopar refunded the majority of costs. I thought this should take care of everything but it is turning into a nightmare of a money pit.

I have also had to replace brake pads, rotors in the last few months, the passenger rear handle came off. I still need to order a new handle and have it installed but haven’t had the opportunity, so I have been avoiding using this door. On occasion my tailgate won’t close, I usually have to unplug the battery in order to reset this issue or Google a quick fix. 2 weeks ago, I needed to replace the battery because my car wouldn’t start while visiting family, one of the connectors needed to be replaced at this time as well. The final straw has been finding out today that the ball joints need to be replaced. I understand that repairs sometimes need to happen and there is always routine maintenance, but this is excessive.

I spend a significant amount of time without my vehicle and spending a lot of money for a car that is about 4 years old. I feel with the issues I feel extremely disappointed at the number of repairs and issues that are occurring and am looking to get a new vehicle when I was hoping this would last a couple more years. I feel that it is quite ridiculous to have to invest so much time and money in renting cars, seeking diagnosis for a relatively newer vehicle, and have never needed to bring in a car so much. This vehicle has become a laughing matter among my friends, family and coworkers. I am embarrassed that I am having so many issues and I wish there was a better warranty, or another option besides getting a different vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I really love and enjoy my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I live in WNY and it does great in 4000 feet of snow. I exaggerated about the snow but not about my Jeep. I like that it's smart which is a change from my last Jeep. I chose this Jeep because I'd owned two, prior to this one, and loved them. I like the appearance of my Jeep, the traction and the fact that I feel that my precious cargo, my kids are safe and secure. I just wish it had an extra seat. But great all around vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I heard and read very good reviews about this model the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good price, lots and lots of room and year end sales with good trade in payment. Good on long road trips and commuting, too. Me and my family have taken several comfortable long road trips and it was good on the gas mileage and nice ride. Great paint job. My daughter likes the "look". However, I've had trouble with turn signals, problem with the battery corroding, and inferior jack stand needed to change the tires. I wish it had better tire wear and tear. Once had a hard time passing the state inspection for Maryland.

Original review: July 31, 2018

When I was looking at the Jeep, I felt that this Grand Cherokee was the best deal. I was looking for a two door Jeep and there are many accessories available too! Love it! It's fun and versatile! I can drive with the sunroof off or the whole top! I can take the doors off of the Jeep so we can ride around in the nice weather, I guess I could remove the windshield too! But I would like to see a better sound system, being a Jeep. It's loud while driving, I can hear the wind rushing. I also don't love the ride, it seems squirrely to me. I wish it didn't feel like I was lurching all over the road.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We love our Jeep and our overall experience with it has been a positive one. We bought it for the utility features, and it's a diesel which helps the mileage and the Jeep should last longer also. The features of the jeep that we like the most are: heated seats, the utility feature, we can haul most things that we could in a pick up truck and the diesel engine. We have had the jeep since 2011 and have enjoyed it very much, it gave us a lot of protection when we hit a deer this past winter.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I love my Jeep. My overall experience with my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is have been mainly satisfied with this car. It fits my needs in that of size and durability. I like the spacious interior, the hatchback window, the roof rack, and the rain guards. But I would like to improve the gas mileage. Currently I only get approximately 15 miles per gallon and considering I live in a rural area, I go through a ton of fuel.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I love this car. I have had one of them in the past and my experiences with Jeep Grand Cherokee has always been one of the best. It is one of the best engines ever made for this type of vehicle and the features I like most is the handling of the car and the reliability of having a good reputation for handling the road. I love the options that come on the vehicle as it has many options that come as a package deal already in the car price.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I like the looks of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I love the color, all the radio controls on the steering wheel, the grill and the comfy seats. I also like the split seats in the back so my dog can ride with the seat down while another passenger is in the other seat. But I am having some problems with it stopping at a light and not starting again until I turned off the car and restarted it. The recovery time on the restart is way too slow and I like a car with giddy up. I also wish the car had running boards so I could climb up to the roof rack. But overall, great car for the money.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee because it is a 4 X 4. It also has a lot of trunk room so it has a lot of room to haul things. I can go camping and 4 wheel driving. I also like that the jeep is higher up than other vehicles. It makes it easier when you are driving over bumps. The cost of the jeep was also a good price. However, I dislike that the maintenance on this vehicle is expensive. I wish it didn’t cost so much to replace the tires. I also wish it got better gas mileage.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Few SUVs offer ventilated seats and this model has them and many other amenities in vehicles that are $15k or more higher than this. I.e. Volvo XC90 was at least $61k for the minimum vehicle with ventilated seats. Huge sunroof, great and sharp interior, nice ride and handling. Overall the Jeep Grand Cherokee is reliable, fun, practical and luxurious.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have owned my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for 4 months and it has less than 7,000 miles on it. The Transmission is leaking and is slipping from 1st to 2nd gear. It is also lagging on acceleration and not wanting to shift.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I recently purchased my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and love it. Excellent handling. It also can use E95 alternative fuel. Has a beautiful interior and excellent ride, has all the bells and whistles.

Original review: April 25, 2018

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the perfect combination of durability, utility, comfort, and appearance. Its timeless style never makes you feel like you're driving a "Late Model". Tried many other of the German and Far East offerings and, although satisfying vehicles, they didn't match the Jeep in dependability in all weather conditions.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I'm still driving my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, purchased used the same year with 3000 miles. Always maintained, always garaged, the old gal went from LA to Minneapolis, with snow, ice, salt and gravel, to Atlanta with all the heat and humidity. The car still looks great and runs even better. The biggest advantage is the peripheral vision advantage. SUVs today seem to sacrifice visual safety for style. Although I could buy any car I liked, I will stay with my sidekick until they take away my driver's license.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I purchased a brand new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude in November 2017 and have had nothing but PROBLEMS since the third day I owned it. The vehicle has a starting problem. I push the button and it does not. Sometimes it takes up to 15 mins for it to finally start after repeatedly pressing the button. I have received absolutely no satisfaction with the dealership. They don’t know how to fix the problem. One person there told me it was a known issue, others are saying they’ve never seen this problem. This non-start issue has continued to this day, 5 months later. I find it very irresponsible that they are selling vehicles their technicians do not know how to fix. This is a safety issue. If I had an emergency and needed to get in my vehicle and go, there is a good chance it would not start and that is RIDICULOUS!

Over the last month more problems have started. The vehicle does not always reverse when shifted into reverse, then not moving at all when shifted back to drive. It takes several turn off and turn back on attempts to get it to move again. The R on the shifter panel flashes. This has almost created large accidents when I have been in traffic situations but couldn’t move because my vehicle is trash. The air conditioner also does not turn on from time to time and the radio volume does not adjust. I have opened several cases with Jeep customer service and was told an Account Manager would get back to me. I never was contacted. I have been calling back to follow up for months. I have tried every way I know how to find a phone number to Jeep’s corporate office, or the office of FCA rather with no luck.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2018 Trailhawk from the Orange Park Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram Dealership aka DARSCARS OF JACKSONVILLE at 7233 Blanding Blvd (904) 777-5500 on October 21, 2017 under a three year lease agreement with ALLY AUTO FINANCE account ** (1-888) 925-2559. I noticed sometimes a slight hesitation when shifting the gearbox for which I did not give greater concern. I was satisfied with the car and its performance.

On March 30, 2018 with approximately 3700 miles I was at the Gateway Pistol and Rifle Range at 9301 Zambito Ave N in Jacksonville with my friend Charlie ** for pistol shooting. My car was parked outside of one of the steel sheds pointing into the shooting bay. When the rain started we decided to drive my car around and under the shed to load my car outside the rain. I took the car around but couldn't quite make it into the shed and had to back up. When shifting into reverse I heard a strange click and my friend told me later that my rear wheels started spinning, which they are not supposed to do.

When my car was in the right position my foot was still on the brake I shifted to "drive". At this moment the engine roared up and raced forward. I could not stop the car. I steered it into the next empty shooting bay in 1/2 circle into the backstop ending up at the wall which was damaged in the process. All front and side airbags were deployed. The car is presently in the hands of AAA who informed me on April 4, 2018 that my car is a total loss. I believe this is an obvious case of product liability under the lemon law statutes for Florida for which the manufacturer should be held responsible!

Original review: March 20, 2018

We purchased a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in September 2017 with only 70,000 km on it. If we wanted extra warranty it was going to cost us an additional $4300 on top of the original purchase price of $32,000. The Dodge Dealership in Edmonton Alberta said the Jeep was all looked over and passed inspection. By November there was a electrical pull and killed the battery. That was $700. The computer information system acts up (locks us out so you cannot adjust anything, has the rear view camera come on when going down the highway forward etc.) and is way too expensive to fix. Now the air suspension rear has exploded, both bags!!! Another $2500 to add to the mix. The dealership now claims the transmission fluid need changing, the brake pads need to be done etc. We have been GM drivers for over 25 years and decided to try Dodge. We are never going to drive a Dodge again once we can repair and sell this poorly built vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I took possession of the BRAND new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland on 23 October 2017. Being the original owner of a 1980 CJ5, I was attracted to the beautiful leather appointments of the OVERLAND, and its awesome Air ride system. The first problem I had was when she needed gasoline for the very first time, I couldn't get the fuel door open. I was at the gas pump struggling, when I remembered I had piece of metal coat hanger. I used this to unlatch the fuel door, and fill her up. Undaunted as a CJ OWNER, I decided to not close the door fully again, and have them repair it when It was time for her first oil change.

On January 8th just after a beautiful snowfall, I was dressed and leaving for work, I headed out of the driveway, all of a sudden... I heard a blood curdling ~ CLANK, CLANKETY CLANK, BANG BANG sound, and all the lights turned AMBER on the DISPLAY... The service 4 wheel light came on, just after a message flashed, "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE UNAVAILABLE" then the Traction control warning light glowed red. It was then that I discovered I was stuck in the driveway... "JEEP DOWN", "MAN DOWN".

I phoned the 1800 number and they dispatched a wrecker. The wrecker driver called and asked me if I had 40 feet of room, because other callers had gotten themselves into a pickle (due to the snow). The wrecker driver and I had a colorful word exchange, before he handed me off to another company. 90 minutes later I was riding in a flatbed on our Merry way to the Dealership in which I had purchased her. I picked up a loaner and was on my way - Week #one. I was notified that it was the "main drive module" that had failed. Week# two. I was notified that it was the "transfer case module" that had failed. Week # 2.5 I was notified that it was the MAIN SHAFT that had failed... And in week # 3, 24 January '18. She was ready to picked up.

When I got her home, I discovered there was GREASE on my weather tech floor mats, Grease on the carpet, grease on the door panel and the center armrest... I notified service via text, and since there was no response, I made some pictures, and began cleaning. The dealership did give me two loaners, one of which was an enterprise Grand Cherokee... BRAVO!! They did stay in contact with me... I have NOT since DRIVEN HER... But plan to and I will keep the Blog updated. Oh they fixed the GAS DOOR( I think).

Jeep Grand Cherokee Company Information