1.68/5
Based on 154 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Jeep Grand Cherokee

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a roomy SUV that's great for off-road adventures. Read more Jeep reviews to learn about other models.

380 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This Jeep is my third jeep and I am extremely disappointed. I have owned a Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee and now this Trailhawk. I feel like each Jeep I own, there are more and more issues that plague these vehicles. Most recently I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, since acquiring this, it has required a new transmission (under 20,000). This vehicle also required some other work (which slips my mind at the moment) that was done six months outside of the 3-year warranty. The cost was roughly $2700, thankfully Mopar refunded the majority of costs. I thought this should take care of everything but it is turning into a nightmare of a money pit.

I have also had to replace brake pads, rotors in the last few months, the passenger rear handle came off. I still need to order a new handle and have it installed but haven’t had the opportunity, so I have been avoiding using this door. On occasion my tailgate won’t close, I usually have to unplug the battery in order to reset this issue or Google a quick fix. 2 weeks ago, I needed to replace the battery because my car wouldn’t start while visiting family, one of the connectors needed to be replaced at this time as well. The final straw has been finding out today that the ball joints need to be replaced. I understand that repairs sometimes need to happen and there is always routine maintenance, but this is excessive.

I spend a significant amount of time without my vehicle and spending a lot of money for a car that is about 4 years old. I feel with the issues I feel extremely disappointed at the number of repairs and issues that are occurring and am looking to get a new vehicle when I was hoping this would last a couple more years. I feel that it is quite ridiculous to have to invest so much time and money in renting cars, seeking diagnosis for a relatively newer vehicle, and have never needed to bring in a car so much. This vehicle has become a laughing matter among my friends, family and coworkers. I am embarrassed that I am having so many issues and I wish there was a better warranty, or another option besides getting a different vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have had it for 25 years now. The motor is just as strong as when I got it. I chose the Cherokee because it was a 4x4. It has all power inside. It was also bigger than other makes and models. It fits my family and 2 big dogs well. And even with my family in the car there is still room for my shopping. It has all power inside. The seats fold down completely or you can put down one side or the other. However, I have always had issues with are the headlight covers. They have a coating on them that starts to turn the plastic yellow. Also, I would make it so the factory alarm could be shut down or taken out if you did not want to use it. If it goes bad your car will not run.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I really love and enjoy my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I live in WNY and it does great in 4000 feet of snow. I exaggerated about the snow but not about my Jeep. I like that it's smart which is a change from my last Jeep. I chose this Jeep because I'd owned two, prior to this one, and loved them. I like the appearance of my Jeep, the traction and the fact that I feel that my precious cargo, my kids are safe and secure. I just wish it had an extra seat. But great all around vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

The leather interior and heated seats of the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition were my top two favorite features especially in the NY wintertime when the average temperature runs so cold that drivers are lucky to be able to get their doors open or their windows rolled down because cars in this type of cold freeze shut. Leather seats keep chill in them pretty well so the fact that this car came equipped with seat heaters that warmed up within just a minute or two was just dreamy. Also, I loved the sunroof/moonroof on this Jeep, great perk.

This was the first time that I ever drove a big truck/SUV on a regular basis after driving smaller cars throughout my life. And since I'm used to driving regular cars, getting the hang of handling it smooth was an issue. Also, the money I had to spend for gasoline was ridiculous. The gas tank was huge already, so required a lot of gas to fill up. I generally put in $10 to $15 maximum and gas up more often than full tank fillers. And I found myself having to put in that amount of gas on a daily basis and that was a while fresh new financial hell for me to navigate.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My overall experience with the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been positive. Now that we are retired, we travel often. Sometimes with kids and grandkids. We occasionally fly but almost always we drive, and this is the perfect vehicle. I like its appearance and solidity. It is reliable, roomy, comfortable and safe. And these are all important to me. We also need 4 wheel drive because we live in the mountains. However, I do wish it got better mileage. And since we travel with the grandkids often, I wish there were more little 'nooks' where they could store their stuff and more drink holders. Other than that, I'm a satisfied customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

It's a very good looking car. Great color that is hard to fade or ding. Good looking interior with comfortable seats and room for our animals. I like the easy to read dash and good stereo. Love the CD player and able to adjust to fit just right. But I wish there's a car lighter, more cup holders and better speakers in back. Also, Make it easier to add the essential fluids to engine (oil, water, brake fluid, transmission fluid, windshield fluid) and better way not to have gasket (where you fill the gas tank) fail as it is an impossible repair & hard to find in 1st place when engine light is on. Overall, this vehicle has great all around value and lots of longevity with little repairs. Reliable and great riding in all conditions and in almost all terrains.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I heard and read very good reviews about this model the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good price, lots and lots of room and year end sales with good trade in payment. Good on long road trips and commuting, too. Me and my family have taken several comfortable long road trips and it was good on the gas mileage and nice ride. Great paint job. My daughter likes the "look". However, I've had trouble with turn signals, problem with the battery corroding, and inferior jack stand needed to change the tires. I wish it had better tire wear and tear. Once had a hard time passing the state inspection for Maryland.

Original review: July 31, 2018

When I was looking at the Jeep, I felt that this Grand Cherokee was the best deal. I was looking for a two door Jeep and there are many accessories available too! Love it! It's fun and versatile! I can drive with the sunroof off or the whole top! I can take the doors off of the Jeep so we can ride around in the nice weather, I guess I could remove the windshield too! But I would like to see a better sound system, being a Jeep. It's loud while driving, I can hear the wind rushing. I also don't love the ride, it seems squirrely to me. I wish it didn't feel like I was lurching all over the road.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We love our Jeep and our overall experience with it has been a positive one. We bought it for the utility features, and it's a diesel which helps the mileage and the Jeep should last longer also. The features of the jeep that we like the most are: heated seats, the utility feature, we can haul most things that we could in a pick up truck and the diesel engine. We have had the jeep since 2011 and have enjoyed it very much, it gave us a lot of protection when we hit a deer this past winter.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I love my Jeep. My overall experience with my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is have been mainly satisfied with this car. It fits my needs in that of size and durability. I like the spacious interior, the hatchback window, the roof rack, and the rain guards. But I would like to improve the gas mileage. Currently I only get approximately 15 miles per gallon and considering I live in a rural area, I go through a ton of fuel.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I love this car. I have had one of them in the past and my experiences with Jeep Grand Cherokee has always been one of the best. It is one of the best engines ever made for this type of vehicle and the features I like most is the handling of the car and the reliability of having a good reputation for handling the road. I love the options that come on the vehicle as it has many options that come as a package deal already in the car price.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I like the looks of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I love the color, all the radio controls on the steering wheel, the grill and the comfy seats. I also like the split seats in the back so my dog can ride with the seat down while another passenger is in the other seat. But I am having some problems with it stopping at a light and not starting again until I turned off the car and restarted it. The recovery time on the restart is way too slow and I like a car with giddy up. I also wish the car had running boards so I could climb up to the roof rack. But overall, great car for the money.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee because it is a 4 X 4. It also has a lot of trunk room so it has a lot of room to haul things. I can go camping and 4 wheel driving. I also like that the jeep is higher up than other vehicles. It makes it easier when you are driving over bumps. The cost of the jeep was also a good price. However, I dislike that the maintenance on this vehicle is expensive. I wish it didn’t cost so much to replace the tires. I also wish it got better gas mileage.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have owned my Jeep Liberty for 11 years and I love it. I purchased it because I previously owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that I also loved. I wanted a newer vehicle so I didn't have to make so many repairs but I couldn't afford a new Grand Cherokee. I knew I wanted to get another Jeep, and the Liberty was affordable for me at the time. However, I wish it was a little roomier and not so compact. If there are other people riding along it seems like there isn't enough room for drinks or purses, etc. Also, the seats are not as comfortable as my Grand Cherokee was and the interior fabric on seats is very cheap. Nevertheless, the 4 wheel drive is a must for where I live. It is a sport model with AC and a CD player.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Few SUVs offer ventilated seats and this model has them and many other amenities in vehicles that are $15k or more higher than this. I.e. Volvo XC90 was at least $61k for the minimum vehicle with ventilated seats. Huge sunroof, great and sharp interior, nice ride and handling. Overall the Jeep Grand Cherokee is reliable, fun, practical and luxurious.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have owned my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for 4 months and it has less than 7,000 miles on it. The Transmission is leaking and is slipping from 1st to 2nd gear. It is also lagging on acceleration and not wanting to shift.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I recently purchased my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and love it. Excellent handling. It also can use E95 alternative fuel. Has a beautiful interior and excellent ride, has all the bells and whistles.

Original review: April 25, 2018

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the perfect combination of durability, utility, comfort, and appearance. Its timeless style never makes you feel like you're driving a "Late Model". Tried many other of the German and Far East offerings and, although satisfying vehicles, they didn't match the Jeep in dependability in all weather conditions.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I'm still driving my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, purchased used the same year with 3000 miles. Always maintained, always garaged, the old gal went from LA to Minneapolis, with snow, ice, salt and gravel, to Atlanta with all the heat and humidity. The car still looks great and runs even better. The biggest advantage is the peripheral vision advantage. SUVs today seem to sacrifice visual safety for style. Although I could buy any car I liked, I will stay with my sidekick until they take away my driver's license.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I purchased a brand new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude in November 2017 and have had nothing but PROBLEMS since the third day I owned it. The vehicle has a starting problem. I push the button and it does not. Sometimes it takes up to 15 mins for it to finally start after repeatedly pressing the button. I have received absolutely no satisfaction with the dealership. They don’t know how to fix the problem. One person there told me it was a known issue, others are saying they’ve never seen this problem. This non-start issue has continued to this day, 5 months later. I find it very irresponsible that they are selling vehicles their technicians do not know how to fix. This is a safety issue. If I had an emergency and needed to get in my vehicle and go, there is a good chance it would not start and that is RIDICULOUS!

Over the last month more problems have started. The vehicle does not always reverse when shifted into reverse, then not moving at all when shifted back to drive. It takes several turn off and turn back on attempts to get it to move again. The R on the shifter panel flashes. This has almost created large accidents when I have been in traffic situations but couldn’t move because my vehicle is trash. The air conditioner also does not turn on from time to time and the radio volume does not adjust. I have opened several cases with Jeep customer service and was told an Account Manager would get back to me. I never was contacted. I have been calling back to follow up for months. I have tried every way I know how to find a phone number to Jeep’s corporate office, or the office of FCA rather with no luck.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2018 Trailhawk from the Orange Park Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram Dealership aka DARSCARS OF JACKSONVILLE at 7233 Blanding Blvd (904) 777-5500 on October 21, 2017 under a three year lease agreement with ALLY AUTO FINANCE account ** (1-888) 925-2559. I noticed sometimes a slight hesitation when shifting the gearbox for which I did not give greater concern. I was satisfied with the car and its performance.

On March 30, 2018 with approximately 3700 miles I was at the Gateway Pistol and Rifle Range at 9301 Zambito Ave N in Jacksonville with my friend Charlie ** for pistol shooting. My car was parked outside of one of the steel sheds pointing into the shooting bay. When the rain started we decided to drive my car around and under the shed to load my car outside the rain. I took the car around but couldn't quite make it into the shed and had to back up. When shifting into reverse I heard a strange click and my friend told me later that my rear wheels started spinning, which they are not supposed to do.

When my car was in the right position my foot was still on the brake I shifted to "drive". At this moment the engine roared up and raced forward. I could not stop the car. I steered it into the next empty shooting bay in 1/2 circle into the backstop ending up at the wall which was damaged in the process. All front and side airbags were deployed. The car is presently in the hands of AAA who informed me on April 4, 2018 that my car is a total loss. I believe this is an obvious case of product liability under the lemon law statutes for Florida for which the manufacturer should be held responsible!

Original review: March 20, 2018

We purchased a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in September 2017 with only 70,000 km on it. If we wanted extra warranty it was going to cost us an additional $4300 on top of the original purchase price of $32,000. The Dodge Dealership in Edmonton Alberta said the Jeep was all looked over and passed inspection. By November there was a electrical pull and killed the battery. That was $700. The computer information system acts up (locks us out so you cannot adjust anything, has the rear view camera come on when going down the highway forward etc.) and is way too expensive to fix. Now the air suspension rear has exploded, both bags!!! Another $2500 to add to the mix. The dealership now claims the transmission fluid need changing, the brake pads need to be done etc. We have been GM drivers for over 25 years and decided to try Dodge. We are never going to drive a Dodge again once we can repair and sell this poorly built vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I took possession of the BRAND new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland on 23 October 2017. Being the original owner of a 1980 CJ5, I was attracted to the beautiful leather appointments of the OVERLAND, and its awesome Air ride system. The first problem I had was when she needed gasoline for the very first time, I couldn't get the fuel door open. I was at the gas pump struggling, when I remembered I had piece of metal coat hanger. I used this to unlatch the fuel door, and fill her up. Undaunted as a CJ OWNER, I decided to not close the door fully again, and have them repair it when It was time for her first oil change.

On January 8th just after a beautiful snowfall, I was dressed and leaving for work, I headed out of the driveway, all of a sudden... I heard a blood curdling ~ CLANK, CLANKETY CLANK, BANG BANG sound, and all the lights turned AMBER on the DISPLAY... The service 4 wheel light came on, just after a message flashed, "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE UNAVAILABLE" then the Traction control warning light glowed red. It was then that I discovered I was stuck in the driveway... "JEEP DOWN", "MAN DOWN".

I phoned the 1800 number and they dispatched a wrecker. The wrecker driver called and asked me if I had 40 feet of room, because other callers had gotten themselves into a pickle (due to the snow). The wrecker driver and I had a colorful word exchange, before he handed me off to another company. 90 minutes later I was riding in a flatbed on our Merry way to the Dealership in which I had purchased her. I picked up a loaner and was on my way - Week #one. I was notified that it was the "main drive module" that had failed. Week# two. I was notified that it was the "transfer case module" that had failed. Week # 2.5 I was notified that it was the MAIN SHAFT that had failed... And in week # 3, 24 January '18. She was ready to picked up.

When I got her home, I discovered there was GREASE on my weather tech floor mats, Grease on the carpet, grease on the door panel and the center armrest... I notified service via text, and since there was no response, I made some pictures, and began cleaning. The dealership did give me two loaners, one of which was an enterprise Grand Cherokee... BRAVO!! They did stay in contact with me... I have NOT since DRIVEN HER... But plan to and I will keep the Blog updated. Oh they fixed the GAS DOOR( I think).

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 36,000 miles has a completely failed transmission. Worse, I am being told a replacement is on backorder and it will be 2-3 weeks for the replacement transmission. FCA and Jeep are making poor quality vehicles and do not have replacement parts available in a reasonable time frame.

This is the third time the vehicle has been in for service regarding the transmission. It has also been seen three times with two replacements for gas tank vapor issues. There are two dealerships within 15 miles of my house, and anytime I need service it is a week or 10 days to get an appointment. I guess they are overwhelmed by the poor vehicles and all the maintenance required. I would not recommend Jeep to anyone. Do yourself a favor and stay away.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

In July 2017, the check engine light on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee kept coming on, so I decided to have it checked out at a local dealership. After having all the spark plugs and coils changed, it came down to the conclusion that my left cylinder head would need to replaced. Fortunately, Chrysler had extended the factory warranty on this common issue (rather than doing a recall on the engine itself, because they are cheap) and I was to drop off my JEEP at the Chrysler dealer in Annapolis, MD. Since I work 30 miles away in Washington, DC and it's imperative I have a vehicle to get to work, I decided to drop off my JEEP at the Annapolis dealership, where they advised that it would be worked on when the mechanics had free time.

Upon dropping my JEEP off, the desk clerk didn't tell me I could get a rental car directly through Chrysler for the warranty work, instead I went and got a rental car down the street thinking it would only take a few days to fix the issue. EIGHT DAYS later, I finally get a call (after checking in on it daily) from the dealership saying that my vehicle was finally fixed. I proceeded to give them a receipt for the rental car that I was using, when they advised I would have to go through Corporate to get a refund for my rental car. It was THEN that they advised me I could have gotten a rental car through the dealership when I had initially dropped my JEEP off. Keep in mind, since I'm traveling to and from D.C. everyday I purchased the full coverage on the vehicle, so the total ended up being nearly $1,000.

I make contact with Chrysler Customer Service, where I advise them of my vehicle's VIN and they promptly identify the dealership where I had my warranty work done. They send me a link where I can upload my rental car receipt and my proof of payment for the rental car, which I promptly email back to their Customer Service. I called either the same or next day to make sure they received my documents and all the necessary paperwork - which they said they did. I waited a week, and called back to check on the status of my claim. They advised that it typically takes 30 - 60 days to have a claim processed. I then waited about a month to call again, where they again said my claim has yet to be processed. At the point of 60 days, I call to check the status of my claim and they continued to play it off, saying I should hear something back within the next week. Two weeks later, I've heard nothing back yet.

Finally, over 3 MONTHS after my claim was filed, I get a call from Chrysler Customer Service representative saying that they have my documents that I gave them, however I didn't have the necessary paperwork documenting that I had the warranty work done at a Chrysler dealership, and that they were closing my case. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Common sense would lead one to believe that one could see that the work was done at the specific Chrysler dealership by researching the VIN - like the person who took my call to make a claim initially did. If the call taker could check to see that I had warranty work done at a Chrysler dealership, why can't a case analyst have this ability?? Further, the call taker likely wouldn't have even taken my claim if they didn't see that I had the work done at a Chrysler facility.

In my 8 plus years of being a car owner, I've never experience so much difficulty from such a simple situation. This case comes down to Chrysler not wanting to take responsibility for their own manufacturer error and mistakes. Common sense doesn't apply to this corporation, and they clearly try to cheat their customers from not receiving their due refunds from an issue that was caused by Chrysler. Based upon the many extremely poor Chrysler customer reviews that I've read over the past few months and my own experiences, I personally don't see how this corporation has any loyal customers. I made it a point to say to the last Chrysler representative that I talked to, that I WOULD NEVER BE BUYING A JEEP OR CHRYSLER PRODUCT AGAIN. I would suggest most people do the same, unless they'd like to deal with a corporation who will do anything to save a $ and have little regard for their customers.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Had a 97 that I still miss. I hate that Jeep understands their mistakes and recalls but push it with manufacturing the recall parts in the hopes people will sell their Jeeps to the next ignorant owner. I just got my airbag recall dealt with after years of the part not being available on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and did sell my 1997 with total disclosure to the airbag recall and stalling out while doing 60 on the highway!

Original review: July 7, 2017

Purchased a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Florida for $47,000. Vehicle constantly in the shop with multiple issues. Transmission replaced at 8,000 miles. New transmission failed at 21,000 miles while driving across country. Vehicle has been at dealership in Reno, Nevada for a month and a half. Fiat Chrysler Customer Service promised to reimburse us for rental vehicle so we could get back home to Florida, and transport our jeep back after it was repaired. Month and a half later nothing has happened and my vehicle is still 3,000 miles away. Have owned a number of Chrysler products, but would think long and hard before purchasing another.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I purchased a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee on April 12th and on June 6th my car has been in the shop not repaired and getting a run around from all levels of customer Service. The car, after two weeks, a brand new car, came with emblem on crooked, and then there is an electrical short making horrible static noises from speakers, Jeep Dealership Eastchester Jeep in the Bronx replaced speakers but noise still continues. They are now on week 4 waiting for a new radio. Not to mention that the emblem is still not fixed as well. They are not even sure that the radio is the cause of the electrical static. The response today from the customer care person was to disconnect the radio and take the car back until a new radio arrives. This is my 6th Jeep and after this experience I will never buy a Jeep again.

Original review: June 12, 2017

My husband and I purchased '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee from Autoland 170 Route 22 Springfield, NJ on April 11,2016. This is a certified pre-owned vehicle. On Friday, April 7, 2017 the vehicle completely stopped and turned off without a warning in the middle of Sherman Ave. and Wright St. in Newark, NJ. The insurance company towed it to back Autoland in which I was given a rental until the repairs was made. The repairs was never made to my defective engine. Fiat Chrysler said the engine is not covered under the 3yr/30,000 limited warranty. We then proceeded to see if the National Dispute Settlement Center could assist us in the repairs. No they denied it. Not covered under the 5yr/100,000 warranty.

I had this car for 361 days before it shut down. I have been walking and using public transportation for the past three months because I cannot afford to replace a engine at 6000 dollars and keep my end of the deal with the loan payments. It will be a class action lawsuit very soon. Too many consumers suffering while Fiat Chrysler are not being held accountable for producing defective products and selling trash for top dollar.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I purchased a 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel in the spring of 2014, right away the catalytic converter failed. To Jeep's credit they bought the car back, and I purchased a replacement. There were some problems, another catalytic converter, water pump, and some other problems, all covered by warranty. The real problems started last fall, overheating while pulling a trailer. Each month from September till February I had overheating problems that were never solved culminating in Bakersfield where the dealer finally discovered a blown head gasket. It took them 6 1/2 weeks till I got it back. I gave up at that point when the car leaked coolant 6 blocks from the dealership. I'm selling the turkey. It was so discouraging, when it ran it was terrific, but so unreliable. I would be ashamed if I worked for that company.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Company Information