3.74/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a roomy SUV that's great for off-road adventures. Read more Jeep reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

390 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Bought a brand new 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee. From day 1, the vehicles jerks and searches for a gear when reducing the speed through town. Under 40 mph. Brought to dealer and he indicated everything checked out as normal diagnostics and all software upgrades up to date. Also indicated that the car is operating as designed or programmed. Very poor design by Chrysler. Other buyers have also complained to the dealer regarding the transmission programming. Called customer service and they were no help. Just told me to keep checking with the dealer for possible software updates. Glad I leased it, but wish I didn’t even do that based on my experience. I’ll never buy another Chrysler or Jeep product again. I will probably buy a Honda next time.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

My husband and I thought that the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Unlimited would be the perfect SUV. I was wrong. We purchased our Jeep certified pre-owned in June 2018 with 29,000 miles. In August 2018 my transmission went out, as I was driving up the a hill in the middle of the night. In April 2019 my transmission went out again for the second time as I was driving in the freeway. Now my driver side seat belt is not working.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Wow, I thought that the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee unlimited would be a great family car. I was wrong. We bought our Jeep certified pre-owned with 30,000 miles. We have had the Jeep for 3 years and 20,000 miles. The touchscreen went out and can not be replaced 3rd party like car toys, has to be done at Jeep dealership. Cost $1,400. When we asked why this happened they had no clue, I asked, "What’s gonna stop it from happening again?" They said, "Nothing. It just might." The passenger window cracked for no reason down the length (no impact mark). Also not covered and had no knowledge why it happened. In the back seats there is controls for air, heated seats and a 110 outlet. All of those stopped working ($600). When asked why they stopped working again the answer was, "We don’t know."

Now the Jeep makes weird noises from engine bay oh also the 4wd SUCKS!!!! Couldn’t handle the slightest mud! It even had some gravel in there, still got stuck. And I had decent tires on it too! I just can’t get past the fact when I took it in for the problems the sales tech asked if we bought the extended warranty for the Jeep, I said, "No I figured a $34,000 suv would have decent reliability." He looked up and smiled “Oh you should’ve”.... Wow Jeep just wow. Will never ever buy a vehicle from them as long as I live! You figure a company would stand behind their vehicle right? Well NOT JEEP! Save yourself the hassle. Get a Toyota!

Original review: April 7, 2019

Bought Japanese since 1989. Thought I would give USA another chance in 2018. Bad Bad Bad mistake. Issues: Head lights -Like driving with a blindfold. If you go more than 30 mph on an unlit side street, you WILL hit something. Purchased Philips X-Treme Vision headlamps for $130.00 just made everything brighter but you still can't see the side of the road. The headlights criss-cross and almost meet about 25 ft ahead. Took it to the dealer at least 4 times...not any better. Decided to buy out lease and sell this piece of junk.

Nav system-Catch this: To turn on the Nav you must first turn on the radio and then mute it. What is that all about. Then there is a separate button to blank screen. No planning at all went into this design. The dash is extremely distracting. Even the radio is tough. The bright light button is opposite every other car on the road. It rides bumpy and if you take your eyes off the road for more than a second you will end up in another lane or on someone's porch. Funny they didn't put the blinker on the opposite side. LOL. My 2005 MDX that I dearly miss after 13 yrs of heaven, It was like driving in the daylight. The road lit up the sidewalks lit up you could go 90 and never outrun the headlights. Will take a loss when I sell it but at least I may be alive!

Original review: March 10, 2019

My 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee just accelerated by itself up a sidewalk at a parking lot and ran into the pillar of a building. I then put it in reverse and it accelerated into a car parked beside me. The front axle snapped completely even though the impact was not tremendous. This vehicle has all kinds of impact sensors and usually brakes on its own even when it senses a leaf from a nearby bush and none of that worked. This happened just yesterday and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I cannot believe my internet search has yielded so many similar stories!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

So as it goes and other have similar comments, I spent 60K on my 2014 Grand Cherokee and the 1st 70K was an awesome experience then all of a sudden we need to change the brakes. Rotors now warp every 5K - 7K mile and the dealership which has a 2 year warranty will not honor it after the 4th set replaced in less than a year and my leather wrapped dash is bubbling all over the place and the Jeep wants 3K to replace the hole dash. After having a heated discussion over the brake the service manager actually had the never to insult my wife and tell me it is driver error. Same driver since new, same highway driving patterns as well. This is completely disrespectful and unprofessional.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland that has cost me close to $8,000 in out of warranty repairs and only has 81,000 kilometers. I had previously complained on the FCA website but received no response. I am very disappointed in the poor customer service and that Jeep doesn't stand behind their vehicles.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I purchased a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Feb 2017. On Oct. 5, 2018. I was driving to my boss's house for a retirement party. My 19 yr old daughter and my 69yr old mother were in the car. They were going to go shopping while I was at the party, then come pick me up after. I arrived at the house, put the car in park and even set the parking brake for safety. I got out of the vehicle and proceeded into the house. My daughter got in the drivers seat, pressed on the break and then released the parking brake. With her foot still on the break, she then tried to shift the car into drive. The car wouldn't shift. Then she saw the message on the dash, "Key fob has left the vehicle". She still had her foot on the break, released the break, unhooked her seatbelt and started to exit the vehicle to come get the key fob from me. She got out of the vehicle, was about to close the door and it started to roll. My mother yelled at her to get back in, but she could not.

The car knocked my daughter down and she rolled down the embankment. The jeep continued to roll down the hill, through a yard and slammed into a house!! All the while with my mother in the passenger seat!! When I got down to the jeep it was still running and in the "park" position. We have tried to contact Jeep to have them come and investigate the vehicle, however, they have given every reason in the book as to why no one could make it to Washington State. Thankfully there were no injuries to any humans, but the property damage and the money we are out to get another vehicle is insane!

I would have expected Jeep to be all over this since there was a similar incident that killed that actor in LA. But we have heard nothing! We love the Jeep brand and have never had any trouble with Jeep as a company. They have always taken care of us when something has gone wrong or needed fixed. But this! This is a disappointment. They could have a potential RECALL on their hands and they are choosing to ignore it!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Takata recall upon driving MT Jeep GC on the highway this morning, everything was going fine. I exited the highway at stop light and as usual, the stop/start engaged. When the light turned green I lifted my foot off the brake so the car will start again but it didn’t. So I turned off the radio and auto light and forced the car to natural and pressed the start button and car started. On gauge display a red battery light came on and a message that said "park car, vehicle will shut down soon", so I drove around 15 mins to find a safe parking spot and stopped in supermarket parking lot. 2 min later the car shut down.

I carry with me portable jumper so I opened the hood and connected it but no power was reaching. So I lifted the passenger seat and gained access to the main battery and connected the jumper directly to the terminals but still, no power was circulating. So I connected it to the auxiliary battery and power was there. And the car started. But not safe to drive. I picked up my Jeep four days ago new from the dealer, so when this happened my car had 250 miles on it.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I bought a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited from September of 2016. 6 months later I started having problems with the remote start not working. Took it in and they said it was a bad battery. Worked fine for 4 months, then the remote start quit working and the starter button inside of the vehicle. Then I started getting Service 4WD, Stop/Start not available and a bunch of other stuff. Took it in. Said it was a powertrain module. Needless to say - 5 service visits later and problems escalating, my car is still not fixed. They have had it for over 2 months and it is one thing after another. They don't have the parts and generally can't get it done. But they don't understand why I'm upset because they have given me a loaner vehicle which is a stock Dodge Ram 1500 pickup with no remote start, no backup alert, no seat warmers and I can barely get into it it is so high off the ground.

On top of that, some idiot Armor-Alled the floorboards in the front seat and there are no mats so when you try and get in, your feet slide all over the place. They told me Monday that now they have to replace the alternator (again after having it for 2 1/2 months) and they didn't know if they could find the part in town. Haven't heard from them since. Unless you call them, they don't communicate. Craig, the Service (ha, ha) Manager, told me he'd get back to me within 24 hours when I called to complain about the service two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for that phone call. Unfortunately, because more than a year has passed since I bought it, even though it has been in the shop continually, this LEMON does not qualify for the LEMON law. But I do have other recourses and I am looking into them. This is ridiculous.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Company Information