2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

4.0/5 (764 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Jeep Grand Cherokee

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a roomy SUV that's great for off-road adventures. Read more Jeep reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep Grand Cherokee?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Having enjoyed my 1st car being a 1997 TJ Wrangler I opted to purchase again when it came time to get a more family friendly vehicle. I purchased a 2012 Overland Summit Grand Cherokee with Saddle interior. It is an ok car, the electrical system has failed twice resulting in a tow both times with about 3 weeks of downtime trying to schedule the repairs both times. While the transmission is still holding in it has made large clunking sounds when engaging into gear about 3 months after purchase and seems like it is designed to fail after 100k miles.

The interior has been my biggest letdown. I purchased a high trim model specifically for the interior. The color is rubbing off the tan leather in the high wear locations but the glue holding the dash in place has completely released and the leather dash has now become a loose piece of leather laying there. I spoke with our local dealer who said this was a known issue and said extended warranty X81 would cover this repair. After scheduling a replacement (1 year out) I patiently waited for the repair. When the year came up they said the parts were delayed and that is was still several months out, I again patiently waited. At this point the dealer said that the issue was now a corporate issue where they told me that the term (which I was in during the initial warranty) had expired and they will no longer support this.

The cheap plastic base model would have lasted longer than the higher trim and I am super frustrated with how Chrysler handled the repairs. I look forward to supporting new companies such as Tesla for challenging the industry norms that many companies have fallen into with age producing cheap products and only looking at the bottom line. I am glad the dealership model is being challenged and I hope to never deal with a dealership again. I was a once great fan of this brand and am sad to say that is no longer the case.

Original review: March 8, 2021

I love my Jeep except for the quality and the horrible dealer service. Seriously you spend almost 70K on a Grand Cherokee and they do not even provide loaners. As much as I love driving my Jeep I will be trading it in on another car instead of getting another Jeep. I wanted the Grand Wagoneer but not now. What kind of idiot would spend 100K on a Jeep with a ** warranty and ** dealer service. My seat frame breaks on mine and they have fixed it twice. It breaks within 1 day. I have had a Cadillac, Chevy Colorado, VW and never a problem with the seat and they all provided loaners.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I have owned seven Jeeps over 40 years and loved them all. I bought a new 2019 Jeep Altitude. Two days into having this new car I started getting "weather alerts" popping up on my center console screen. After exhaustive research I was told these alerts could not be disabled. I checked the Jeep forums as well. The complaints were overwhelming. These alerts are usually for counties 3 to 6 hours away. They usually are wind and storm warnings. I receive on average 20 of these alerts a week. I have to each time take my eyes off the road and press the box acknowledging that I've seen the alert.

I've now had the car 21 months and have received over 1600 weather alerts, all having absolutely NOTHING to do with where I was located. This is without a doubt the most annoying "feature" ever pushed onto the car buying public. Read the on-line reviews. People are seriously upset with this and have every right to be. The dealer knew of this when I bought the car and said nothing. This feature is on all Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep products. Again, it cannot be disabled. Lastly, I seriously suspect this was "invented" or "perpetrated" by an individual that was born in the 90's, avoids all human interaction, lives on their "smart phone" while still living with their mother.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I've had 6 Jeep Grand Cherokees so when my last one had the head gasket go at just over 200,000 I bought a certified preowned 2017 without thinking twice. My bad. This car is so badly designed that after two weeks I am looking for another car. For one thing, the hum of the engine is so loud that it makes my head hurt, especially at low speeds. The sound quality of the radio is horrible and the hands free is practically unusable and the UConnect flips back to the phone and shuts off intermittently.

Moreover, all the important things such as radio, climate control, require multiple steps and the information you need to see is so small it's hard to read. The interior design has absolutely no place to put anything; I've lost my phone 4 times already because I need to put it on the passenger seat. No place for change, lipstick, or small items we routinely carry and the storage on the doors is so narrow and deep you can't put your hand in it. Anything you put there is lost forever.

The car has also failed to start every morning for the last week and has required a jump start. The dealer, who has serviced every one of my cars, is flummoxed. The aerodynamics are terrible; I feel like I'm in an echo chamber. First car in 54 years of driving and more than 30 years of Jeeps that I can honestly say I hate. I'm already shopping for another vehicle; I don't care if I take a hit because I spend on average 4 hours a day in a car and I find myself dreading getting into it.

Original review: May 14, 2020

We are now on our 4th radiator in our 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The dealership states no damage to the radiator other than leaking at the seams. I contacted Jeep and they opened a case. I spoke to the RUDEST Senior Case specialist named Phyllis. All I wanted to know is why we keep having this issue. All she would tell me is that they buy their parts from a third party vendor. She needs another job other than dealing with the public. I will think twice before ever buying a Jeep product.

Original review: April 20, 2020

Relatively new, 6000 miles, Jeep Grand Cherokee. 3 different occasions did not start. Towed to dealer, they kept 9 days. Could not solve it. Told me to come get the car, they could not fix. They said could be this, could be that. I said well start with theory one and replace the part. Dealer informed me Jeep will not let them do this, they must know for sure.

I said so late one night I could be stranded again. Wait 1 1/2 hours forJeep to show up to tow again. Back to square one then. They said yes. Jeep will not stand behind their product so who knows how many times I will be stranded before they find exact cause. I am a retired gentleman in middle of Covid 19 pandemic and Jeep will not stand behind their product. PLEASE, PLEASE do not make same mistake I did. Buy another, dependable brand.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

On February 12, 2020, I was in a major accident that should have cost me a lot more than a vehicle. I was hit in the driver's door by a dump truck at 60mph. Thankfully I was in my Jeep! The frame took the force of the blow and it slid 50 yards before it came to a stop beside an electrical pole. While my Jeep was totalled, I was lucky enough to walk away with only a few scratches and bruises. I think I have sold all my friends and family on how safe Jeeps are. My son has asked for one for his 16th birthday and I think it's a wonderful idea. Just wanted to say Thank you, had I been in our van I wouldn't have made it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I love the way the Jeep Grand Cherokee Looks and drives. I have had several issues, that some might overlook in the car buying mindset, however will come to bite them in the end. They include, Eco Engine Failure (had to replace engine - $5,000), computer issues (multiple) some would leave me stranded because I could not start Jeep. Cannot replace headlights without removing front bumper, dealership will replace for $300. Battery placement is under front passenger seat. Finally, dash looks great but cannot handle Texas heat, Jeep will not replace dash as it is not covered are a recall item. If you like flashy then Jeep is your car. If you like dependability, you might want to reconsider. If you like keeping your money, find a different vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

The 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a fantastic car. It has great power and is very comfortable especially for those of us that are taller. The only thing I have an issue with is the engine turning off when you come to a stop sign then turning on again when you go. I keep the button pushed to turn that option off all the time. I can haul my gardening stuff as well as my grandkids. Beautiful red color too.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Overall very satisfied. Large enough to accommodate anything we ask it to do yet luxurious enough to never feel like you're in a 4x4 type vehicle. Gas mpg is acceptable as well. Very quiet ride, plenty of power with the V6.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Company Information