3.07/5
Based on 84 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

J.D. Byrider

Been turned down before? J.D. Byrider could help you get into a great used car with affordable payments today. The approval process is easy at J.D. Byrider. We look at your current financial situation--not just your past mistakes. If you're approved, we'll set up affordable payments with a personalized schedule to try to fit your needs. J.D. Byrider's cars all go through an extensive 92 point inspection. Then, they're computer tested, serviced and reconditioned. All our cars have verified clean titles for your peace of mind. Our convenient, on-site service centers can save you time and money, too.

We've sold more than 1 million cars over the past 25 years. We're also the largest network of on-site financing and car dealerships in the United States, with over 167 locations in 34 states. Our satisfied customers around the nation prove we're the way to go for an easy approval process, reliable vehicles and convenient, low-cost service.

*At participating dealers. Programs, pricing, and services may vary. See dealer for details. Each J.D. Byrider location is independently owned and operated.

View More View More

1222 J.D. Byrider Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

I walked in with no credit, was greeted with great service and drove off the car lot that day with a car. I would highly recommend anyone who needs a car to come in and take a deep breath because they're here for you.

Original review: July 11, 2018

The Staff will work hard to get you in a Vehicle get the extended warranty. Car was clean, no junk on the lot, no pressure at all. They helped us when others wouldn't. I recommend this place. Matter of fact I'll be back for sure.

J.D. Byrider • 1222 Customer Reviews and Complaints • ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 10, 2018

Jeff ** Lafayette branch car salesman was terrific! Jeff made sure I was comfortable through the long financial approval process Jeff also kept me entertained and was very helpful and professional Thanks Jeff! Thanks JD Byrider! I'm very satisfied with my purchase!

Original review: July 9, 2018

They were great. I was in an emergency situation, and needed a new, safe reliable vehicle. They quickly worked with me and were flexible. Dustin was great to work with. They got me in and out with very little hassle.

Original review: July 6, 2018

My Experience with J.D. Byrider was amazing, the hospitality was great, they always asked how I was feeling and offered great complimentary items in my time and I really felt welcomed and taken care of. I enjoyed my time there. Thanks to the awesome employees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.D. Byrider?

Original review: July 5, 2018

I bought my car July 14, 2015 (2011 Chevy HHR), when I came in to do the paperwork, I was told that it would only be for 3 years. Come to find out this year, that it is 4 years now and they are charging me way more than the contract. I have asked multiple times how much my principal pay off is and they keep telling me that I am not paying interest and that it will be paid off next year. I WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH IS LEFT WITHOUT INTEREST. I have never once missed a payment. My payments are set up for AutoPay. The documents they gave me say $13k for the car, but the amount they are telling me adds up to over $20k for the car. I have asked multiple people the principal balance and I am still being told $6000 is owed.

If I pay $400 a month and I owed $6000 back in February, how in the world do I still owe the same exact amount in July? I will NEVER recommend them to any friends and family because they are not a place that stands by their word and not a reputable company. I need to find out how to deal with these people so I can be done with them for good.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Experience was very good, Rod on Shadeland store was very helpful and did every everything in his power to help me get in the car I needed. I would recommend any to go to J.D. Byrider especially the one on Shadeland to go see Rod.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I would just like to say the whole team at J.D. Byrider are the most professional staff I’ve ever worked with. Bill and Rickey went over and beyond to make sure I was put in just the right vehicle and will definitely be referring anyone looking for a vehicle to go see them. Just a pleasurable experience. And to be able to get into a vehicle with some blemishes on my credit and to be able to re-establish my credit is just amazing. Thank You so much.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I am super excited about getting my car! Bud did such an amazing job! He had worked with us in our circumstances and helped us buy our new, reliable car! He made the whole process smooth and honestly relaxing. I did not feel pressured like I have before in the past! I highly recommend Bud!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Best experience with getting a car. She helped me pick a great car and the service was great. I would refer others to her. Even with a budget, you can still get a car. Brittany is the best salesperson.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Brent and Stephanie were amazing and helped me so much for getting my car. I’m going to recommend them for everyone who ask how I got my car. They made sure I was comfortable in what I was driving and satisfied with my purchase.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Very helpful in getting me into a car. Very polite and not pushy. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking to buy a car and help to rebuild their credit. This is the place for you. It didn’t take 5 hours of sitting here just to be told I was denied like another place that I had went to. Thank you very much for the opportunity to drive away with a car today.

Original review: June 11, 2018

We were denied to pay the payment we agreed on. The payment was one day late and the dealership refused to take our payment and stated that we owed what was left on the down payment that we had split up into payments. The manager dismissed my husband when he tried to talk to him and told him we had a week to come up with 1025 dollars.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I went J.D. Byrider in Tyler TX. I went in with a certain amount of money in my pocket for down payment. They said they could work with it. Then David starting asking questions about what I was driving and how was I getting around before coming there. Told him I had a car that was broke down. Never did I mention I wanted trade it. So we went thru all paperwork and financing and etc. And he tells me he needs the mileage and such off my car. I'm like I don't want to trade it in. I never told you I wanted to trade it in. He was very adamant that he had to have my old car to be able to do the truck. So I was like, "If I never told you I had a broken car at home you would be able to work with me?" He said, "Yes but you have a car so we have to have it."

At that point my husband lost it and called them vultures and etc. Makes no sense to me. If you can work with someone without the trade but then you find out they have a broken car and now all of sudden you have to have it. Crazy business. So needless to say we told them no and left. Today I get letter of denial in mail. I had to laugh cause it was us that denied them!!! I now have a truck from elsewhere and my car is still here as well. Will never do business with J.D. Byrider and will suggest to others not to do business there either.

Original review: June 7, 2018

In 2013, my son's mother and I were in a bit of a jam and her car was on the fritz of dying. We took it to J.D. Byrider where they appraised her car, allowed us to test drive THREE cars, two of which were the same car with a different color interior. We went through a whole car buying process, they appraised her car at $1100 and then told us that we needed an additional down payment of $1500, which looking back on it makes no sense because we didn’t even have bad credit. We just had no credit. But we wound up buying a Hyundai from them for 14k.

Within 6 months of having this car we had more issues with it than we knew what to do with. The exhaust rusted out and it sounded like a little rice Mobile, we called them multiple times to set up an appointment to fix it, they had nothing available for months they said. Then the whole front suspension and joints all gave out. The cv axles, everything had to be replaced, they never fixed any of it. Kept telling us they’d call when they’d have an appointment available. Finally the car blew up. So when I called they informed me at that time that there was nothing they could do because we were out of the mileage warranty period. So I voluntarily had it repossessed.

They’ve since sold the vehicle at auction for $500, which mind you they haven’t even credited towards my account. But I tried a few weeks ago to get a hold of them and see what I could do as far as a settlement with them to get it off of my credit because these crooks are STILL. Three years later saying that were missing payments. But magically they have no record of my account, they told me to call three different lawyers about it and they said that they would have it but none of them do. At this point I just want them to remove this from my credit and allow me to make a settlement but they won’t.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Andrew was extremely helpful and cared about what fit my life and budget. I’m driving away in a new car today!! Awesome experience. Powerful thumbs up to the whole team!!! I recommend them for those who can’t get financed traditionally.

Original review: May 25, 2018

LEARN CUSTOMER SERVICE! So I got a car from a place that everyone told me not to go to. I did because I was just super pressed to get a car. In within the first 6 months the transmission broke. Now I'm having transmission problems AGAIN... I Carfaxed the car. The transmission parts were recalled. Those parts were not replaced. I'm paying five times the amount of the car! So fast forward to today I was $50 short on my car note. I called and asked if I could pay them the $50 on the 31st. Either way you see it I had the extra $50... I just needed it for medicine because I'm sick.

The only time I've ever been late on my car payment is when their system was down. So one would think that paying 5 days late one fourth of what the car payment is I wouldn't be having these issues. The first dude I talked to was extremely rude the second lady I spoke to had a full-on argument with me and overloaded me and was extremely disrespectful to the point I had the blackout. The third lady I spoke to was just as rude and had the nerve to tell me that they have no reason to say thank you to me for being a client for over a year because I needed them. They did not need me.

I've dealt with customers for a really long time and there's things that you don't say!!! And telling someone paying over $10,000 / what the car is actually valued that YOU need them! When to be 100% honest I knew I should have gone elsewhere... I loved my salesperson. She was a dope Sista and I wanted her to get my commission over anybody else. Then have the nerve to tell me to refer people as if I AM THAT PHONY to put my peeps in debt with a Company that doesn't care about their clients!

They got their money but even after that I was disrespected! Just know I will paying for my car until paid for but I will also share my experience with your staff. I do not want anyone I care for to waste their money with a place that thinks YOU NEED THEM MORE THAN THEY NEED YOU! Learn Basic Business. Respect Your Customers. I have never been treated like this!!! But they got my money so they don't care!!!

Original review: May 20, 2018

Busy on a Friday but still quick. I was in and out. Supervisor was very informative for other work needed on my car which made me feel positive about future work needed to my car and let them complete it. I'll be back soon.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Great guy, assisted me like a professional, got me the perfect car for my taste, stuck with me through the whole process. Would definitely refer anyone who needs a car to him. Thank you so much! Have a great day!

Original review: May 9, 2018

Trevor was very helpful. Coolest dude at the dealership! Got me a car the same day with a low down payment. I received the car that I wanted. No haggling. Upfront and honest! Didn't seemed pressure. I would recommend this company to EVERYONE!

Original review: May 1, 2018

This company is a scam. You will never get your payments down because of their high interest rates. They came and took our vehicle because we were 1 day late and did not give us any notice when they took it. They thrive on customers who are needing a vehicle. My advice to anyone is to stay away from J.D. Byrider at all cost. CNAC treats the customers with no respect. We paid this company anywhere from $400 to $600 a month for over 2 years and they said we only paid $5,000 and still owe almost $8,000 (because of their interest) till the 14 year old vehicle is paid. By the way they sold us an old vehicle for almost $13,000 because they saw a desperate customer walk in through their doors. As I say, "PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AT ALL COST".

Original review: April 27, 2018

Everything was done in a timely manner and everyone was very nice and I would recommend everyone I know to come here and experience the nature of nice people and be treated with the utmost respect and I couldn't ask for a better salesman period.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Do not buy a car from J.D. Byrider in Durham. My friend bought a car from there in Feb. She was admitted into the hospital and no one could get her belonging. To pay her payment her mother tried talking to them and they would not talk to her. Then her husband call them yesterday trying to work something out. Rachel with CNAC told him what to do and he did it and they will extend her payment. Well them ** came and got the car last night only 3 days late. It's not like they was not trying to pay the payment. She has the money. We just could not get her belonging due to the hospital she is in.

Plus 2 weeks ago the car breaks down and on Saturday the car broke down twice while her son was driving it in the middle of the road. He could have been killed!!! So the car is no good anyway. They are liars and their attitudes are very nasty!!! I will make sure I tell everyone not to buy a car from them!!! She had told me when they test drove one of the cars she was messing up and they tried to get them to buy that one which was already mess up. How you going to sell a car and you know it needs work down too it!!! They need to shut J.D. Byrider down!

Original review: April 17, 2018

Back in 2011 I purchased a KIA Spectra and everything seemed to be going ok and paid a good chunk of the car off. A year later I wrecked it and was a lawsuit and they won and are garnishing my wages. Now it's 2018 and I did a credit report and noticed that the judgment and all the payments never shown up. Everything I did or didn't pay on anything shown up except everything to J.D. Byrider. Something isn't right here and I'm going to get legal advice. I sense a scam here.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I tried to be a return customer today. I paid my car off in December. I NEVER, I repeat, NEVER paid even one payment late. I was considered a "VIP" customer and was assured that trading in my car would be perfectly doable and I would even get a lower interest rate because of my perfect payment history. I start a new job in Florida in June. I made CNAC aware of my move because it comes with an 8k raise and I figured I would let them know, since I might have qualified for a better car. WRONG. They DECLINED me.

I was told that had they not known that I was moving, I would've been approved. Essentially, had I LIED and said I intended to stay in Pittsburgh, I would've driven away in a new car. A stellar payment history makes no difference to this company. There is no reward for being a good customer. I tried to be loyal to the company that gave me a chance to buy a car. None of it matters because I have the nerve to move to make more money. Today, they lost a perfect payer. Today, they lost me as a customer forever.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I Love all the employees. They go above and beyond to help with your needs. I've never had any problems when it comes to payments, car repair, or just general concerns. I've had my van for almost three years now with very little issues. If I had any they were quick to help me with much repair.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Took a long time but it all worked out. It took me 4 visits and me being persistent about the car that I wanted but again it all worked out. I will say he stayed in contact with me. Thank you all for what you do.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I'm still sitting at the dealership but so far so good. I only had 2 options to choose from. That wasn't great but dealable. They were able to get me in a car that I could comfortably drive. That I appreciate. I only came here because Marty has been so great for friends. He tries very hard to be a decent, honest and honorable person. Kudos to him!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am a current victim er I mean client of this horrible company. First thing they did was make us wait in the office for several hours while my father who is a diabetic started getting sick. We kept trying to leave but they kept on saying, "Oh we are almost done." Second one of the conditions was for them to sell me back my trade which they assured me was just for show. They shook on it, promised swore gave their word etc. I should have got it in writing because they without calling me like they said they would sold it to a pick a parts yard. Third their 90 point inspection is bogus. It was in their shop 3 times within the first month and now not even four months later it has multiple things including things that they supposedly had fixed wrong with it. Fourth after you sign and have you bent over the table they become disrespectful. I wish I never went to this place.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Wish I could put a 0 Star. This is the worst company ever. Their cars are junky cars that they TEMPORARILY fix to sell off lot. My husband and I got a 08 Ford Focus (all manual nothing electric). We paid 7000. The car got totaled. They took 3000 (which was the total value of the car) and we were still upside down 6000. I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone. This place is a ripoff!!!

J.D. Byrider Company Information

J.D. Byrider
    12802 Hamilton Crossing Blvd.
    Carmel