2.92/5
Based on 87 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

J.D. Byrider

Been turned down before? J.D. Byrider could help you get into a great used car with affordable payments today. The approval process is easy at J.D. Byrider. We look at your current financial situation--not just your past mistakes. If you're approved, we'll set up affordable payments with a personalized schedule to try to fit your needs. J.D. Byrider's cars all go through an extensive 92 point inspection. Then, they're computer tested, serviced and reconditioned. All our cars have verified clean titles for your peace of mind. Our convenient, on-site service centers can save you time and money, too.

We've sold more than 1 million cars over the past 25 years. We're also the largest network of on-site financing and car dealerships in the United States, with over 167 locations in 34 states. Our satisfied customers around the nation prove we're the way to go for an easy approval process, reliable vehicles and convenient, low-cost service.

*At participating dealers. Programs, pricing, and services may vary. See dealer for details. Each J.D. Byrider location is independently owned and operated.

Read More Read More

Last updated: May 25, 2018

1206 J.D. Byrider Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

LEARN CUSTOMER SERVICE! So I got a car from a place that everyone told me not to go to. I did because I was just super pressed to get a car. In within the first 6 months the transmission broke. Now I'm having transmission problems AGAIN... I Carfaxed the car. The transmission parts were recalled. Those parts were not replaced. I'm paying five times the amount of the car! So fast forward to today I was $50 short on my car note. I called and asked if I could pay them the $50 on the 31st. Either way you see it I had the extra $50... I just needed it for medicine because I'm sick.

The only time I've ever been late on my car payment is when their system was down. So one would think that paying 5 days late one fourth of what the car payment is I wouldn't be having these issues. The first dude I talked to was extremely rude the second lady I spoke to had a full-on argument with me and overloaded me and was extremely disrespectful to the point I had the blackout. The third lady I spoke to was just as rude and had the nerve to tell me that they have no reason to say thank you to me for being a client for over a year because I needed them. They did not need me.

I've dealt with customers for a really long time and there's things that you don't say!!! And telling someone paying over $10,000 / what the car is actually valued that YOU need them! When to be 100% honest I knew I should have gone elsewhere... I loved my salesperson. She was a dope Sista and I wanted her to get my commission over anybody else. Then have the nerve to tell me to refer people as if I AM THAT PHONY to put my peeps in debt with a Company that doesn't care about their clients!

They got their money but even after that I was disrespected! Just know I will paying for my car until paid for but I will also share my experience with your staff. I do not want anyone I care for to waste their money with a place that thinks YOU NEED THEM MORE THAN THEY NEED YOU! Learn Basic Business. Respect Your Customers. I have never been treated like this!!! But they got my money so they don't care!!!

Original review: May 20, 2018

Busy on a Friday but still quick. I was in and out. Supervisor was very informative for other work needed on my car which made me feel positive about future work needed to my car and let them complete it. I'll be back soon.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Great guy, assisted me like a professional, got me the perfect car for my taste, stuck with me through the whole process. Would definitely refer anyone who needs a car to him. Thank you so much! Have a great day!

Original review: May 9, 2018

Trevor was very helpful. Coolest dude at the dealership! Got me a car the same day with a low down payment. I received the car that I wanted. No haggling. Upfront and honest! Didn't seemed pressure. I would recommend this company to EVERYONE!

Original review: May 1, 2018

This company is a scam. You will never get your payments down because of their high interest rates. They came and took our vehicle because we were 1 day late and did not give us any notice when they took it. They thrive on customers who are needing a vehicle. My advice to anyone is to stay away from J.D. Byrider at all cost. CNAC treats the customers with no respect. We paid this company anywhere from $400 to $600 a month for over 2 years and they said we only paid $5,000 and still owe almost $8,000 (because of their interest) till the 14 year old vehicle is paid. By the way they sold us an old vehicle for almost $13,000 because they saw a desperate customer walk in through their doors. As I say, "PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AT ALL COST".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.D. Byrider?

Original review: April 27, 2018

Everything was done in a timely manner and everyone was very nice and I would recommend everyone I know to come here and experience the nature of nice people and be treated with the utmost respect and I couldn't ask for a better salesman period.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Do not buy a car from J.D. Byrider in Durham. My friend bought a car from there in Feb. She was admitted into the hospital and no one could get her belonging. To pay her payment her mother tried talking to them and they would not talk to her. Then her husband call them yesterday trying to work something out. Rachel with CNAC told him what to do and he did it and they will extend her payment. Well them ** came and got the car last night only 3 days late. It's not like they was not trying to pay the payment. She has the money. We just could not get her belonging due to the hospital she is in.

Plus 2 weeks ago the car breaks down and on Saturday the car broke down twice while her son was driving it in the middle of the road. He could have been killed!!! So the car is no good anyway. They are liars and their attitudes are very nasty!!! I will make sure I tell everyone not to buy a car from them!!! She had told me when they test drove one of the cars she was messing up and they tried to get them to buy that one which was already mess up. How you going to sell a car and you know it needs work down too it!!! They need to shut J.D. Byrider down!

Original review: April 17, 2018

Back in 2011 I purchased a KIA Spectra and everything seemed to be going ok and paid a good chunk of the car off. A year later I wrecked it and was a lawsuit and they won and are garnishing my wages. Now it's 2018 and I did a credit report and noticed that the judgment and all the payments never shown up. Everything I did or didn't pay on anything shown up except everything to J.D. Byrider. Something isn't right here and I'm going to get legal advice. I sense a scam here.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I tried to be a return customer today. I paid my car off in December. I NEVER, I repeat, NEVER paid even one payment late. I was considered a "VIP" customer and was assured that trading in my car would be perfectly doable and I would even get a lower interest rate because of my perfect payment history. I start a new job in Florida in June. I made CNAC aware of my move because it comes with an 8k raise and I figured I would let them know, since I might have qualified for a better car. WRONG. They DECLINED me.

I was told that had they not known that I was moving, I would've been approved. Essentially, had I LIED and said I intended to stay in Pittsburgh, I would've driven away in a new car. A stellar payment history makes no difference to this company. There is no reward for being a good customer. I tried to be loyal to the company that gave me a chance to buy a car. None of it matters because I have the nerve to move to make more money. Today, they lost a perfect payer. Today, they lost me as a customer forever.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I Love all the employees. They go above and beyond to help with your needs. I've never had any problems when it comes to payments, car repair, or just general concerns. I've had my van for almost three years now with very little issues. If I had any they were quick to help me with much repair.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Took a long time but it all worked out. It took me 4 visits and me being persistent about the car that I wanted but again it all worked out. I will say he stayed in contact with me. Thank you all for what you do.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I'm still sitting at the dealership but so far so good. I only had 2 options to choose from. That wasn't great but dealable. They were able to get me in a car that I could comfortably drive. That I appreciate. I only came here because Marty has been so great for friends. He tries very hard to be a decent, honest and honorable person. Kudos to him!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am a current victim er I mean client of this horrible company. First thing they did was make us wait in the office for several hours while my father who is a diabetic started getting sick. We kept trying to leave but they kept on saying, "Oh we are almost done." Second one of the conditions was for them to sell me back my trade which they assured me was just for show. They shook on it, promised swore gave their word etc. I should have got it in writing because they without calling me like they said they would sold it to a pick a parts yard. Third their 90 point inspection is bogus. It was in their shop 3 times within the first month and now not even four months later it has multiple things including things that they supposedly had fixed wrong with it. Fourth after you sign and have you bent over the table they become disrespectful. I wish I never went to this place.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Wish I could put a 0 Star. This is the worst company ever. Their cars are junky cars that they TEMPORARILY fix to sell off lot. My husband and I got a 08 Ford Focus (all manual nothing electric). We paid 7000. The car got totaled. They took 3000 (which was the total value of the car) and we were still upside down 6000. I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone. This place is a ripoff!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Great sales, Austin was able to help me get the car I wanted. Austin is friendly and easy to work with. He can help find what anyone else needs. The car is great and rides smooth. All the cars on the lot were great and affordable.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I wish that I would have had someone to help me with a car buying process before I even came to these people or I should have just continued to use public transportation to get around because I have had nothing but problems since I got this ** car and now it seems that I cannot get rid of this piece of ** and I just spent damn near 200 dollars to fix. And now something else is wrong and if these people tell me another outstanding price, they can keep this piece of ** car. I am tired of putting good money out for bad. The money that I have paid out to keep this piece of ** running could have been used to purchase a better vehicle. These people are nothing but scam. That is why I will never recommend anyone going here. They should all be arrested for shady deals. Read your contracts people. A lot of loopholes.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Hope you like expensive lemonade, because all J.D. Byrider has is a bunch of lemons. They suck you in to think you're getting a great deal on a used car but they leave out the underlined details. The vehicle they placed me in has had problems since week one. Everytime I take it to their mechanic they just repair the surface. Example I got an SUV, the hatchback wouldn't open, took it to JD Byrider, they finally figured out what was wrong, fixed it, I got the vehicle back, one of the mechanics broke the door handle on the driver's side, they did not bother to fix it. After a week the hatchback stopped working again. I also went to have the oil changed and found out the power steering fluid is leaking. When I reported that to them they said that it will be my responsibility to get fix it.

So now I have a sub that I can't afford to repair and I have a high interest rate to where I can't even look to trade in. I have only had one issue with the financing, I had switched jobs and my paydays were set up different. When I explained that to one person they said that was fine and will work with me but then when I did go to pay I was told I was 7 days late on my payment and will need to make two payments in order to keep my vehicle or they will come and take the vehicle away. When I tried to explain the job switching situation again I was told I should begged and borrowed money from family. I did come up with the extra payment. Just not happy with my experience with JD Byrider.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I recently bought a 2004 Nissan Maxima. I told them I could only afford $300.00/month. The salesman got the approval and a short time later the finance specialist came out and confirmed the deal, except that I would have to pay a 1200 deferred downpayment. I agreed and they sent me over to another room where a third person went over the contract and payment schedule. During this time (he) said I would have to pay bi-weekly and that the payments would reduce once the down was paid. At (no) point did he inform me of a change in the agreed upon monthly payment, and he did a GREAAAT job of distracting me from looking at the schedule... I purchased the car on under the pretense that it has a clean title, no accidents, had a 92 point inspection, vehicle was conditioned for and had a warranty.

I found out three days later that it had been in a severe rear end accident and was pushed into another car. The value of the car in excellent condition is 7200 poor condition which this one was is, is 2100. Ultimately I came back in and confronted these scam artists and demanded they reduce value of the car to the actual value, reduce my payments, let me out of loan or I would file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency of Idaho. At first it was a no on everything. Then they realized I was video recording them and they let me out of deal. The moral of the story is had I done a simple google search of this business I could have had all the information to scare the DEVIL out of me/you... Don't buy from these con artists!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Warranty repairs for the exact same issue multiple times. After a year of failed repairs the warranty expires. Now to do the repairs they are asking me to pay for it. Repair a windshield rear wiper assembly on this van. Stop working properly. Had it reinstalled. Problem resurfaced. They tried to replace that new part with a salvage yard part. I'm done. This car dealership and repair shop are not worthy of consumer trust. Shady.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My husband and I purchased a car from here in August 2017. In September the car started going and that J.D. Byrider package they sell you don't go for anything that is wrong with the car. You still have to spend money getting it fixed. They sell a bunch of lemons. My car value was worth only $550 on KBB and they sold it to us for $8000 saying how good the piece of ** was. Not to mention it has been in two bad front end accidents. Let's shut all of them down across the state.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I am a former customer and it was a horrible experience. Back in 2014 I finally got a good job after years of low paying jobs while I was attending college. As soon as I got the job a month in my car started overheating and the repair was more than the car was worth so I needed to purchase a car ASAP. I didn't have much of a down payment and my credit was so-so. I decided hey I will go to JD. At there cars come with warranties and it will build my credit. I had a car note. All my previous cars I got from buy here pay here and for what it's worth you would be better off going than that route than dealing with this company.

I ended up getting a 2006 Chevy Cobalt remember this is 2014 and I had to pay $199 every 2 weeks for a 2006! I paid because hey I wanted to build my credit. The issues started about 3 months after having the car. I had to have a repair done it was minor paid the warranty deductible no issues I wasn't too mad. The issues with the car then became more and more frequent. Almost every two months the car was needed to be repaired and between the deductible and paying a car note it was getting out of hand. The last straw was when in May of 2016 the car need wheel bearing not covered, under warranty the check engine light was on and that issue wasn't covered under warranty either as I needed the car fixed in order to get to work and get my license plate sticker cause it was my birthday month. I spent over $400 which had my budget all messed up for the month.

My payment was due the day I got the car out of their service department and I told them I would have to catch up on my note on my next pay. They decided to repo the car a day before I communicated with them I would pay took it right from my job. No other car company repossess a car when you've technically missed one payment. The car was a headache and way overpriced. I only decided to write a review to help someone not make the mistake I did. I ended up filing bankruptcy because I wasn't giving them another penny on a car I had already paid off twice. I now have a 2015 car and I'm paying the same amount I was for a car that was 7 years old when I bought it and had almost 90,000 miles. Don't take a chance on them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have never had a problem getting my car in and getting issues taking care of with them. Mike and his staff do a great job. I have been very pleased with the work that they have done for us on our vehicles.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I purchased my vehicle from their franchise located at 2886 S. Hamilton Rd, Columbus, OH 43232 in February 2012. Whenever I took my car in for service I would buy the dealership donuts and brew them some coffee. I had to have my engine replaced and they marked up the price of my engine, kept the core return refund and doubled the price of the tow bill. After they did this I went through my service records and found that they'd marked up the part prices repeatedly and even charged me $97.95 for a battery that was actually a Core Return Battery from someone else's vehicle but they forgot and left the AutoZone Core Return Sticker on it.

I reached out to their Corporate Office and they did Nothing to help. I called the franchise where I purchased it and they did nothing to correct this. I went into the franchise and asked the manager for his full name and he refused to give me his last name or even his business card. I have since had problems with my vehicle and discovered that JD BYRIDER put the Wrong Part on my vehicle when they replaced a wheel bearing and over time it caused significant damage to my car and also jeopardized the Safety of my Family.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Ok so I live in Houston Texas and a few months ago purchased a car from JD Byrider 7990 Bellfort location. Everything was ok at first until ** the finance manager started to take it upon herself to charge my card without my permission for my car note when she could not reach me by phone. I do not have auto pay set up not have I ever authorized future pay or any of the such thing. My card is only on file because they kept it on file but since then they have charged me 3 different times without my consent.

When I call in to question her she swears she has spoken to "someone" who gave her permission but when I ask to hear the phone call because all calls are recorded, I’m told they don’t have access to the calls. When I ask to speak with a manager, I’m always told “the manager isn’t here right now” or “they are all in a meeting.” The 2nd time they did this was 1 day before Christmas and this last time was yesterday on 2/2/18 which is rent day so now I don’t have the money to pay my rent because ** took my money from my card. Yesterday when confronted over the phone she stated “oh I can just PUT IT BACK”, meaning she knows she was wrong and had no right. I am going forward with legal action and I am also going forth publicly to let everyone know the fraud that is taking place at this business!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I made an appointment with service. Got it right in. Found out it's the engine. My warranty is covering it. Whoever said they have problems with J.D. Byrider is full of **. All I had to pay was 25.00. Only thing is they need loaner casts because of people trashing them ruined it for the good people.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I've been a customer with them since 2014. I had a Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I missed one month payment in October sent an email to them that I would pay them for October and November with November's payment instead they came and picked up my vehicle at 1 in the morning and demanded for me to pay $1,181.56 when my payment is 379 a month. Then what was more crazy that I've been paying for this vehicle nonstop for 3 years and whoops I miss one payment and they repoed my car and then had the nerve to tell me that I had to make that payment. Well that's how they make their money huh. I am pissed off and how I work so hard for three years I'm making a payment on a vehicle that all I owed was $2,100 left on it and this is what happens and then they want more than what I owe left on it. I have reported this dealership already to numerous complaints.

I don't recommend J.D. Byrider to nobody. It's a horrible dealership horrible people and not including my vehicle had gave me so much issues since the first week I purchased the vehicle and it was a headache to go through having to get a rental non-stop for a couple months paying it out of my pocket because their vehicle was not reliable and I had no other choice but to swallow and stay stuck with it and now they have some nerve to take my vehicle for just one month payment that I missed. Not even other dealerships like Toyota or Honda that I have reported them to said to me that was awful and that they sound like they just scheming off of people and that I was just sold a lemon because they over charged me 17,000 on a 2004 car. Never again or I deal with J.D. Byrider and if you're customer who is still dealing with these people I wish you the best of luck but they don't deserve a penny from nobody. They don't even deserve to be opened.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

My fiance and I both have poor credit, but we needed a vehicle. We had heard about JD Byrider having a $0 down sale. We picked out a 2005 Chevy Malibu. We were so happy to be getting a car, we didn't think to compare KBB and sale price. We purchased the vehicle in 2016, with payments of $184 every for 4 years. We signed all the contract paperwork, but we're stupid not to really pay attention. Now, in 2018, it finally clicked. We could have gotten a brand new car for what we are paying for this used car. KBB lists the value of our car at between $2000 to $3000. Somehow, I doubt it would have been much higher in 2016. Yet, looking at our contract, I now see that they listed the purchase price at $12,895. That is actual purchase price, before adding all the interest.

That is 4x the higher value based on KBB. And we are now stuck into this contract until 6/4/2020, paying $184 every 2 weeks. And if we are late with even one payment, they will repossess the car and we are out all the money we've already paid AND the car. So I say this... Don't be naive or stupid. Be prepared to walk away no matter how desperate you are. And check the purchase price of used vehicles to KBB or fair market values. I feel like they saw us coming a mile away and took full advantage of our desperation. We can't afford to be without a car due to my fiance's work and my many doctor appointments, and we don't want to screw up our credit even worse, or we would let them repossess it and look elsewhere. And there is no way we can trade it in at any other dealership for a different vehicle because the pay off cost is way too high that no bank or dealership is going to be willing to pay the pay off amount we still owe.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Thank God I only have a few more payments. This was the worst experience I ever had, not only was the car a total junk. I had nothing but trouble with this Car. The transmission when twice the rack and pinion on the front end when, not only was the car awful but the customer service was the worst. They make you think everything is great until you buy and you soon find out nothing but con artists, prior to buying this car from them I bought a Honda at a buy here pay here. Got it paid off in one year and the car is still holding strong, my husband car when and he took the Honda and I got the junk from JD Byrider. They called me a few days ago trying to sell me another car. I blocked their number never again. Over the four years I have only put six thousand miles on this car so that clearly shows this was a junk from day one and they knew it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Went above and beyond to help me find a car. Would recommend to anyone. Joe gets an A+ rating from myself. This could have been a nightmare but turned out to be easy. Thanks. There was no pressure looked and chose the car I wanted and Joe kept me up to date every time I called and had a question.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I received a promotion and my pay dates changed. I then called and they were more than helpful in changing the paydates to the incorrect ones. I then called back 7 times over the period of 2 months to get it fixed. I was able to make my payments because I was paying in advance. But the last time I couldnt. I ended calling back 4 times in 1 day. They stated they'd send me the contract in 5 days. I refused and asked to speak to a manager. He promised me a contract in 30 mins. I waited 4 hours then called back. Had the contract sent to me. Then it had the incorrect dates again. I called and spoke to the manager again. She swore she was looking at it and it was correct. I had to email her a screenshot of the contract to prove it was incorrect. Then finally had it fixed. This has been by far the worst experience I've ever had.

J.D. Byrider Company Information

J.D. Byrider
12802 Hamilton Crossing Blvd.
Carmel