4.72/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

J.D. Byrider

Been turned down before? J.D. Byrider could help you get into a great used car with affordable payments today. The approval process is easy at J.D. Byrider. We look at your current financial situation--not just your past mistakes. If you're approved, we'll set up affordable payments with a personalized schedule to try to fit your needs. J.D. Byrider's cars all go through an extensive 92 point inspection. Then, they're computer tested, serviced and reconditioned. All our cars have verified clean titles for your peace of mind. Our convenient, on-site service centers can save you time and money, too.

We've sold more than 1 million cars over the past 25 years. We're also the largest network of on-site financing and car dealerships in the United States, with over 167 locations in 34 states. Our satisfied customers around the nation prove we're the way to go for an easy approval process, reliable vehicles and convenient, low-cost service.

*At participating dealers. Programs, pricing, and services may vary. See dealer for details. Each J.D. Byrider location is independently owned and operated.

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

1152 J.D. Byrider Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been in the sales area many times. Each time they have fixed my cars quickly and have done a great job. Tom will make sure you're taken care of and he's the only one I trust to talk to. Skylar is one of the mechanics And he is amazing! They listen to my concerns and always make sure to let me know what's happened and how they're going to fix it. Rachel, Adriane, Skylar, and Eddie have always been friendly and helpful when I'm there.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Omg god, it was good when getting the car. When it came to sign paperwork I messed up big time. I never got the Carfax report which I shoulda made sure which she told me she would get me and of course I never got it. Well a few hours after I got the car my catalytic converter started making noise. Well that was just the beginning. I've been in the at least 6 times due to catalytic converter, headlights, pig light, temperature gauge not working and brakes all this within 57 days of getting the car. Don't go there you guys. You will regret it and they will not switch car. My car in Carfax report says been in accident. Mileage discrepancy. Etc... Which they did not give to me but yet made me sign for.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Very friendly service. Polite and always make sure my car is all checked out before I leave the shop. Great customer service. I would definitely refer my family to J.D. Byrider. Like the fact that they send me a message when my oil change is due.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Thank you so much, Chris did a great job helping me and he took his time. It took a long time (paperwork) but it was worth the wait. YES I have and will tell everyone J.D. is the place to be for your next car.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The list of issues is long. Just the fact that a customer who only came in to buy a car has dealt with these issues and treated so poorly says a lot. From first encounter I made them aware of issue. Service kept saying nothing was wrong. That happened 2-3 times. I finally got a hold of Chris the owner. He kept making it out to be nothing although he test drive it with me. They finally took to a transmission shop and clearly there was a problem. So they did fix that issue after they claim they have a checkpoint system. Clearly there is not because the car wouldn't have been in such a poor condition.

Chris the owner gave me a hard time and finally have gave me a loaner car. I asked him if it was safe. He quoted "I has been serviced". Well the loaner car they cut off three times before I made it home to a 15 min drive. So that speaks to the service creditability. He then offers me my trade in back and all my payments. I decide to apply forgiveness under the conditions that the issues with car would be taken care of. However when I got the car back the old issues and new issues were present.

I called service and they said it would be weeks before they could get me in. Chris says, "Thank you." I will win back satisfaction and he has yet to do that. Then the last straw is when I called in on Friday for a payment that was due that say to ASK if it was ok to pay $200 on that day and $100 on Monday. The rep from CNAC says let me check and I'll get back to you. I never heard back from anyone. But a task force team seemed like was following me Sunday night and took car and I was breathing fire!!!

I called Chris and he hung up on me. I had to walk home and all he was concerned about Was his wife sleeping beside him at the time. His words. I calmed down a little and said, "Yes it's late. Wait till tomorrow." Expecting to hear from him. Which I did not. I finally called him a few days later and he says I'm aware of the situation. To make it a short version. We agreed he would return my trade in and payments on 9/19 but on 9/20 he sent an email totally disregarding the agreement he made and said he would not be returning the car.

Each time I've dealt with company was unprofessional, lack of integrity. Greed and disapproval of consumer logical complaints and the list goes on. I think companies as such is a total disgrace nonhuman race. Where a company suppose to provides a product and a consumers pays them for it. This place gives car industry a bad Grade: F.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.D. Byrider?

Resolution response: Sept. 30, 2017

Not only have the issues been resolved but Tom went above and beyond what he had to do in order to make sure I was happy. They did a great job.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I've been asked several times to submit a review on JDByrider's performance and my experiences, so here goes. Literally from the moment I walked in the door, zero effort was made to make my experience enjoyable in any way, in fact it seemed quite the opposite. I was told right up front by Marcus that I'd be out in an hour, it took 4 1/2. He would talk for a minute or two, then disappear for 20 min. At first he was quite friendly and upbeat, but in short order it seemed like I was the least important thing in his world, even a little irritated with me for some reason.

There were several things wrong with the car, the AC and display were the most obvious and they said they'd fix it and that I had 60 days to bring it back into the shop and get it fixed. I work, a lot and their shop isn't open but from 9-6, but if you don't have your car in there by 430, they won't work on you as they are now cleaning up. So, really, 9-430. I work during those hours, so it was hard for me to get in. I brought the car in before the 60 day mark and Marcus tried denying me, blatantly lying to my face, saying that he "wouldn't give his own brother 60 days", and the copy of the contract that he kept didn't have the revision on it. My bad for not demanding they change the contract, but I didn't catch it. It'd been almost 5 hours, which I'm sure is why they do that, so they can slip little clever cons like this past you. Most dealerships do this though...

7 days later, a coolant connector broke and the car started overheating. I pulled over, called TC (one of the managers with CNAC, JDByrider's "bank") he came and picked me up and had a tow truck come pick up my car. It was then fixed by the time I got off work Monday. This was awesome. I am quite happy with the service in this instance.

One week later (not making this up) the radiator springs a leak and drains in between drives. Ok, not a huge deal, I just gotta keep coolant in it. A radiator isn't covered under warranty but as it was only two weeks in (and I kinda threw a mini fit over this, not freaking out but I was a little assertive in expressing my displeasure after the first response I got basically telling me tough **, not covered under warranty, sorry TC) TC and Tom agreed to change it free of charge. phew.

The AC... I brought it in within the first couple days to have it fixed, which when I got it back the AC was blowing cold air. Then it went completely out again within 2 months. I brought it into another mechanic (which btw, gave me a whole laundry list of other ** wrong with the car which Tom, the manager of the service department, proceeded to systematically dispute and/or just tell me that it wasn't part of the warranty because it wasn't safety related basically) and told me that my AC wasn't leaking, even going so far as to show me something under the front passenger tire and basically saying, "See? That's your AC and there's no leak". Now I know that freon isn't going to leave residue but I know very little about cars, I'm no mechanic (which, btw, I should've brought it into one but I dind't have spare cash to put up for a run-down of the vehicle.

I've since found a place that will inspect new cars for free, they're awesome! Big Priority Auto), but I didn't want to argue with him. A few weeks ago, surprise surprise, AC's starting to go out. I brought it back in to get my center console display installed, which they had to order and took some time but that went great, and I told Tom about it. He took a thermometer to my ac and tested it, it was blowing like 50* air or something, at that moment inside his shop.

Now a few weeks later the AC is almost completely gone again and I really don't want to have to go and argue with Tom again about why he should just do his job and fix the damned AC instead of recharging a leaking and failed AC unit every 6-8 weeks like was stipulated, IN WRITING, before I bought the car. That's not fixing anything, that's putting a bandaid on the problem and spewing CFC's into the environment (you know, the stuff that ate the FREAKING OZONE LAYER!). REALLY not happy with that.

Then there was my tire and CV axle... I started hearing some clicking a few weeks ago when I turned, so I figured it was CV axle. It got progressively worse fairly quickly, so I got it into the shop within about a week and a half of it starting (I was sure a CV wasn't going to be covered under warranty, but it was. Thank god). Apparently on top of the CV the wheel was about to come off. It had shorn some of the bolts off the hub and the hub needed to be replaced. I have not once touched the lug nuts on any of the tires, I haven't even removed the hub caps.

Now, it's not impossible someone, somewhere loosened some of my lug nuts for some reason. I don't think that happened... I think whoever last changed the tire was in a hurry or got distracted or something and forgot a couple lugs or didn't tighten down enough, or something. I don't know. I'm not a mechanic and it doesn't really matter. I brought it in and within like 4 hours I had it back, running great. Completely paid for by them (the CV was under warranty but the bolts and hub weren't) and this decision was come to jointly by TC and Tom. I'm not happy that this happened obviously but it got fixed quickly and painlessly.

One last problem, the vacuum hose on my car is in two pieces. It had electrical tape wrapping it, keeping the vacuum, but that failed (obviously) so I had to wrap it with duct tape as I couldn't afford the $90 hose. When I showed this to Tom he wasn't surprised at all and actually complimented me on my duct-tape wrap job. Said that's exactly what he does (though apparently he uses electrical tape so you can't see it on the black hose. I'll leave opinion out of this. All of this happened, exactly as I tell it. I've not embellished anything. For the most part, I'm not happy with JDByrider but it's been a mixed bag.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Mr. ** is a very excellent sales agent. He went above and beyond to help me in all ways. He never mislead me, he provided me with honest answers, he deserves his job and much more. He deserves a job well done. Thanks Mr. **!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Really nice people and they help as much as possible. Shawn and Selina were great and I would strongly recommend J.D. Byrider. Not to mention the payments were really affordable and my car came with an awesome warranty. They gave me a choice of a lot of nice vehicles... it was hard to choose.

No response received
    Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

They were nice at first. I been paying for almost 3 yrs. Never missed a payment. Then I take my car to be looked at. Awful funny they can never find nothing wrong. Because my warranty was getting ready to expire so I took it to somewhere else and it was my transmission. So I told them and they gave me quote of 23000 so I found somewhere for $950. Had to fix it myself cause the mechanic don't know what they were doing. I know I'll never buy another anything from JD Byrider. When you want help they are so rude.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Gina. I'm sorry to see that you had a negative experience with us. Please let us know if there is anything we can improve upon to better your experience. Please give us a call.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Mr ** was good at helping me. Also Mrs ** was good at helping me. Everyone is so nice and friendly at the 155 location. Everything that I asked to be done was did and I didn't have to wait too long. My car is back to normal again and I will recommend all my friends.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you so much for your review, Oneshia! We appreciate the recommendations!

No response received
    Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

So I buy a 2011 Ford Fusion and 5 months later the transmission drops. So while I'm paying $482 a month now I had pay $340 to rent a car. Then after waiting a week for my car which they basically said fix the car or return and still be on the hook for the loan. Now after a week without my car which it broke down Tuesday said it be done Tuesday still haven't gotten my car back and it Thursday. Luckily it happened within their 25000 mile warranty. They offer no extended warranty even if I'm willing to pay for it but this is absolutely ridiculous. I $2000 down and instead of paying a car outright thought I'd get something that's already been checked and had a work up and would hopefully last a little while before anything needed major like this needed to be done like this now. If I don't get my car back today I'll have to get another rental car. JD Byrider clearly doesn't do proper checks on their vehicles so please be careful with them.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Kaitlyn. I'm sorry about your vehicle problems. I know how frustrating that can be. Please give us a call so we can look into this and see what we can do to help make your experience better.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Very pleasant team of works. Matt ** the salesman was awesome. Would recommend to my friends and family when looking for a car. Second car bought with J.D. Byrider. They helped with every part of getting the car ready for us to drive away today. Couldn't ask for a better group of people.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Patrick! Congrats on your new car!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

This was a wonderful experience! I would definitely refer my friends and family! They have a friendly staff and great hospitality! I now have a newer car to call my own! Proud driver of a 2009 Toyota Camry! Greg ** is a great salesman and very precise!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I am very upset after purchasing a vehicle in which I paid way more than the value of to get my credit back on track and I'm appreciative of being able to get into a car but the warranty offered I believe is a joke and the statement they have good cars is fictitious. I have had door handle panels fall off after one day and have no brake lights or turn signals now just after 1 day.

Also has an idle issue not sure but they fixed it after test drive for it to come back a day later. Of course they will fix under warranty for 36$ deductible but after calling all 3 local locations it can't be looked at until over three weeks later which interferes with driving as I don't want a ticket or to be rear ended for not having brake lights. Oh and if you get one with a sunroof be prepared to pay to fix that as they disable them at auction and JD Byrider will not enable them when you purchase it either and they don't tell you that until afterwards. Very disappointed in my experience. I'd really hate something serious to go wrong if something like taillights take over 3 wks just to get looked at.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Melissa. I apologize for the vehicle issues you are experiencing. With your situation, we may be able to help you sooner. Please give us a call so we can discuss what we can do to help.

Original review: July 19, 2017

The service was prompt. The people were courteous and helpful as usual. I appreciate that I can come in and get an oil change for free. However, I would like for appointments to not be so far apart. I have to wait almost a month to get my car checked on.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Shaquita! We also appreciate the suggestion!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I had a great experience since this was my first time buying a car. l wanna thank the team for all they did. Mr. ** and the nice lady who was there were so helpful. Sorry can remember her name but she was great. Thanks a lot for the first time great experience.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Tacarra! We're happy to help!

Original review: July 17, 2017

The service department is under new management and I love it! They got my car and looked at it and had it done in a day! Before they worked on it, they called to get my approval on the estimated price it would cost and details on what exactly was wrong. Before, I would sit all day and they would never tell me what they were doing or fixing until after it was completed. The new team were professional, friendly, and efficient. I am very happy with them.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Chanetta! We are happy to see that you had a great experience!

No response received
    Original review: July 16, 2017

Went on 7/11/2017 at 10 am CST at J. D. Byrider on Fort Smith, Arkansas. Fill out applications, advised me what car I wanted, advised them I wanted a SUV or a truck with payments for 200. Told I was approved and advised me to come back to drive vehicles. Arrive on 7/12/2017 came into establishment. Told me to test drive car so I do. Advised them it had popping noises in the front end. They me it had no issues. They told me it was covered under warranty but refused to fix front end and wanted me tell anyone about the issues. Then they advised on contract could not refinance it was not their policy. They stated on their warranty to fix front issues but refused and refused to give me key fob due to laziness. I will never buy a vehicle from them ever again due shady contract due and poor customer service.

J.D. Byrider response

Jacob, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with us. Please give us a call so we can look into your experience and improve. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Staff was great and everyone was so nice and professional. My salesperson was Vanessa and she did an outstanding job working with me and the general manager Mrs. ** is absolutely amazing and did everything she could to help me get into a vehicle! Thanks.

J.D. Byrider response

Yolanda, thank you for your review! We're always here to help!

Original review: July 11, 2017

I had a great experience buying my car from JD Byrider in Glendale Heights. My sales men was honest with me when it came to the process and the things that I need it to bring. When they told me I was approved I couldn't believe it. I make payments every two weeks instead of every month and I like that because my payment doesn't feel heavy on my finances. Thank you JD BYRIDER!!!

J.D. Byrider response

Alejandro, thank you for your review!

Original review: July 11, 2017

I live nearly an hour away from any J.D Byrider lots. I called the lot in a city where I needed to do other errands. I called prior to making the jaunt to see if the Fourth of July $4 down promo would still be valid. I was told it would be extended and would be valid for me on that day. I asked if there were exceptions to the promo. The answer was a very definitive no, not unless we had extremely unique situation or were looking at extremely over priced vehicle. After driving an hour to get there, and a long wait, we were told it would take $800 to get into a car. Heard 2 other customers told the same thing. Really?! Then why when I asked if there were exceptions to the $4 down was I told it was a rarity!? Statements like that are why used car dealers get called liars.

J.D. Byrider response

Molly, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I apologize that you have had a negative experience with us. It sounds like this instance could have been a communication error. We will have to look into this to be certain. We do our best to give customers low down payments, but everyone's circumstances are different. Please give us a call so we can look into your experience and improve.

Original review: July 8, 2017

Drew was a fantastic salesperson. Made it happen. Process was not all day. I will recommend Drew. Anybody need a car go to Drew. Good and straight up. Thank you from Mr. and Mrs **. We I say he got us in and out finance dept. Got ball rolling. All staff was awesome to us. Thank you so much.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for the review, Wanda!

Original review: July 8, 2017

Lee ** was wonderful, knowledgeable, patient, and friendly. Enjoyed my visit and the customer service of everyone. Jessica and Shelly were wonderful as well. The process was quick. Everyone was very friendly even the gentlemen and ladies I didn't have the pleasures speaking with.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Lisa! We truly appreciate it!

No response received
    Original review: July 7, 2017

I went to JD Byrider December 2016. I had been without a car for months and was catching the bus in the snow. My credit was poor and I had a repo on my credit. They stated they work with customers with bad credit to rebuild credit and to help them get a vehicle. They seemed so nice and helpful. I was sold a 2009 Kia Rio for close to $14000 which I was shocked at the cost. The first 5 payments or so I was on time. I was 6 days late on a $195 payment and they were threatening to repo. They contacted many people I had placed on my reference list. When they did call they explained I was late on my payments and told my private info. They removed the fuel box from under the hood so the car would not start and I was not made aware until they brought them back. The very next day after the payment is due they start calling at 9am and continue to call.

I have had the vehicle less than 7 months and had to return it 3xs for repair. Twice for coil packs going out and once for the motor in the blower stopped working so I didn't have heat. I explained when I made the payment that I have been back and forth out of the hospital due to health problems and I have issues with my cell service so I am not intentionally ignoring them. But I still get the most unprofessional calls. I asked that when they call my references to not give details. She advised they are third party and when I provided those names I gave them permission to discussion personal info. Also I was not aware the shop was only open Mon-Fri and it can take weeks to get you in. 1 day late is bit much to start calling you and your contacts for a payment and threatening repo in less than a week. That is not helping customers. You can not trade in their vehicles because the interest rate is 24%. So you are stuck or eat a repo.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Lisa. I'm sorry that you did not have a great experience. Our mission is to help our customers build their credit so it is very important to us that payments are made on time. We do not want to see our customers hurt their credit. Please give us a call so we can look into your experience and improve. Again, I apologize for these issues and hope we can help.

Original review: July 2, 2017

In June of 2016 I had some Unforeseen credit issues and was unable to finance a new SUV. I went to J.D. Byrider in October of 2016 and saw a SUV that was in decent shape. I purchased it even though it was about $9,000.00 overbook on it. I had no choice. I went in and saw the rep from CNAC and explained what happened to me and the loan was put through immediately. From sales to service they have been incredibly amazing to me!! You may pay more for the vehicle but make your payments on time and they will not not bother you just like any other finance company.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I would recommend anyone to J.D. Byrider. They are so nice and friendly and easy to work with. The process is easy and there's no hassle. Was stress-free and very reasonable. They work well with you to make sure they have what you're looking for and make sure that you are satisfied.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review! We're always here to help!

Original review: July 1, 2017

Even though they weren't able to get me into a vehicle the service was great. The staff that was there was very polite, would definitely recommend to friends and family and will be returning with items I need to purchase!

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Porsha!

Original review: June 30, 2017

J.D. Byrider Augusta: The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful when I came in. They made me feel like I was apart of the family! Vanessa and Brittany assisted me in understanding the process and benefits of choosing J.D. Byrider. I will send my friends and family members there.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Cory! We truly appreciate it!

Original review: June 30, 2017

My sales gal Jenni was very friendly, very knowledgeable and helpful. I would recommend her and JDB to anyone! I was in and out fast. The process was very professional. The cars that were available were nice and clean. Again great place to get your car.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Lillian!

Original review: June 27, 2017

The employees are very helpful. This place works with you and your budget as well as helping you establish credit. The sales agent Mr. ** helped with everything from start to finish. I would recommend them to anyone on a budget and who needs help establishing their credit. Really great company.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Tabitha!

J.D. Byrider Company Information

J.D. Byrider
    12802 Hamilton Crossing Blvd.
    Carmel