4.20/5
  • 1 star
Based on 161 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

J.D. Byrider

Been turned down before? J.D. Byrider could help you get into a great used car with affordable payments today. The approval process is easy at J.D. Byrider. We look at your current financial situation--not just your past mistakes. If you're approved, we'll set up affordable payments with a personalized schedule to try to fit your needs. J.D. Byrider's cars all go through an extensive 92 point inspection. Then, they're computer tested, serviced and reconditioned. All our cars have verified clean titles for your peace of mind. Our convenient, on-site service centers can save you time and money, too.

We've sold more than 1 million cars over the past 25 years. We're also the largest network of on-site financing and car dealerships in the United States, with over 167 locations in 34 states. Our satisfied customers around the nation prove we're the way to go for an easy approval process, reliable vehicles and convenient, low-cost service.

*At participating dealers. Programs, pricing, and services may vary. See dealer for details. Each J.D. Byrider location is independently owned and operated.

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

1170 J.D. Byrider Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

First off, when I first called to make sure they actually go by your income to make sure you don't fail payments is A COMPLETE LIE. I drove an hour for them to tell me that they could not work with my income therefore I had to get a cosigner. Second, they told me that my payments were gonna be much more even with a cosigner with great credit and only gave me a choice between 3 cars. Third, the book value of the car is around 3,500 for a year 2005, I'll be paying 18,000 when finished paying. Fourth, it's so convenient that the so called warranty won't fix the problems I noticed while driving it home (they knew what needed to be fixed).

And final that totally pissed me off, I called to try and work out my budget this for month as I am only having a rough patch until next month when my raise comes in and I totally understand they couldn't change the due date until the next day. But she was totally rude and talking over my voice and not listening. I then called back to ask if they could at least change the $39 insurance to be taken out the next day as it's not in my contract-- she totally got loud and rude with me saying I couldn't afford it and I'm not budgeting right, yelling over my voice as I was trying to explain things and then hung up on me as I got loud back. She is rude and has no type of customer service skills whatsoever. Don't go to Port Richey JD Byrider. They don't care about you. They just want to make money off of people trying to get by.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I went to J.D. Byrider to build credit. I have never been late on payments, not insurance and I feel screwed. My car is now getting ready to go back in the shop now for the 11th time in one year for the same problem. They tell you it's fixed and it's not. My husband and I work swing shifts and it has become a nuisance finding time to drop it off and spend yet another week planning transportation. It was going back to the shop in Colerain once every month for the same problem for about 8 months until they admitted they couldn't fix it. Sent it to the one in Fairfield and now getting ready to go back for the 2nd time for the same problem (leaking and won't hold power steering fluid). I honestly feel like this company is a scam. They don't fix anything or try to find the root of the problem. Just bandage it up and pray the problem is solved. Straight crooks preying in the vulnerable.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Very satisfied they fixed my car and I was pleased getting it back today. Also don't have to make a payment this week and did not have to pay a deductible. Were very easy to work with unlike the insurance of the person who hit me. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Mike - I am completely satisfied and very impressed with him and his abilities. He has never let me down and always comes through for me. He is sincere and dedicated to providing customer service to the absolute best possible. Because of his performance I will be looking forward to my next car from JDB.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

My experience was awesome. Mr. ** work with me to the end. He provided me with all the service that you all provide. He broke everything down so I can know what they have to offer. I will highly recommend Mr. ** and J.D. Byrider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.D. Byrider?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Hello let’s be fair. I understand charging people but c'mon I’ve paid my payments on time for almost Two years. The car I have is priced at 3,995. I owe 10,500 and it has a lot of miles. I was taken advantage of because of my good payment history. Please help anyone.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have had my car with this company for over a year. The repair side is a complete joke. They have gone through some many people and at one point I had to listen to the service girl complain about her life and health before I could schedule an appointment. They had my car on the lot at one point and didn't start the repairs (which were their fault) until days after and then told me it was ready for pickup without the repairs being started. I have overlooked a lot and continued to make my payments. This time is like the straw the broke the camel's back. I made a payment with Stephanie the finance manager over the phone. She told me the payment was not processing even though on my end and the screenshot I sent her showed otherwise. Stephanie however was not the problem as she was great as always. The was some glitch in the system so I had to call my bank and have the payment reversed to process it again.

The bank has not released the money in my acct as of yet but another payment rolled around and I made it without any questions asked. Here is the problem now. Their ''NEW" assistant general manager called me today and was very rude and abrasive. I had to ask her why she was yelling at me? VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. She wouldn't let me finish talking (and I told her so over the phone). I told her several times I could just make the payment on another card but she was so busy being a right fighter she didn't listen.

I finally asked for someone/anyone else to speak with. She placed me on the phone with Khia who I made the payment with (my emergency fund) because she threatened me (the assistant general manager) several times that she had the repossession papers in hand and would pick my vehicle up. I asked her had she talked to Stephanie and did she know the background? I confirmed with Khia if she heard me on the speaker phone saying I would make the payment now and would just wait on my break and she confirmed she had. I asked for the general manager but of course he was off today as well as Stephanie. My payment was tech only 3 days late!!! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I have never been so shaken in my life. I purchased a van from J.D. Byrider in August of 2017. By October the vehicle had started rattling and knocking. I was told to bring it in and it wouldn't even make it on the freeway to the dealership. It stopped leaving us stuck in the middle of the freeway having to push it to the nearest shoulder. I called them back and told them that it was completely stopped and they sent someone to pick up the vehicle (failing to mention that I had to pay the tow fee out of pocket until I picked it back up). I was told the next day that it was engine failure and I was put in a loaner (a small Pontiac G6 and I have 4 kids). I was told to pick up my vehicle after about 3 weeks. I spoke to two different people and no one told me about any fees until I came to pick up the vehicle. I was told that I had to pay the tow fee and a warranty deductible.

Since I didn't have it, I was told that I could keep the loaner until the next day and speak to Latisha and she would be able to help me with the fees. I wasted time talking to the woman because she was rude as ever and kept telling me what I had signed and telling me that I had to pick up my van by 5 pm and return the loaner or I would be charged $25 per day since my van was ready. I was furious at the non disclosed fees and told her how much I was upset and told them their business practices were poor. I hung up because I was over on my break at work. Not 10 minutes later I get a harassing call from a rude woman in service saying that since I wanted to refuse the fees, they were picking up the loaner and charging me $25 a day. I got into a heated conversation and told them I did not refuse the fees, and simply stated that it was unfair to me to pay fees that were not mentioned at such a short notice!

I ended up leaving work early losing money, borrowed the fee money and picked up my van. Once the van was started, it made a horrible screeching noise. I alerted the service dept and they were hesitant to come look at it... Their attitudes were horrible. They sent a man outside that sprinkled baby powder under the hood and sarcastically told us that baby powder works on engines and asses. We left and sadly not 10 miles down the freeway from Warden Road we had a loud pop coming from the vehicle. We wondered why the person behind us was blowing and fishtailing signaling us to pull over... We started to lose speed causing the van to jerk violently and with another loud pop, we were engulfed in flames.

We struggled to get 4 kids, my 22 year old sister and my fiance out of the burning vehicle with the youngest 2 being trapped in 5 point harness car seats. I have never been so scared in my life and almost lost my whole family with the "fixed "vehicle exploding into flames! Oh and I am 5 months pregnant and had to be taken to the hospital after this ordeal because I was contracting and almost went into early labor! I lost so much in my vehicle and don't even have 1 car seat for my children and honestly I'm scared to put them back in a vehicle! I have never been in such a bad situation and I would not recommend J.D. Byrider to ANYONE.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

In and out in under 30 min! Went above and beyond to provide great customer service. They saw we had restless children and expedited the process. Answered any and all questions pertaining to the vehicle. Made us feel like we mattered and managed all of this on Friday, their busiest day! I would give them 10 stars.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We have been having problems with the car for a while. I am very dissatisfied with the car itself. You can drive it for so long and the speed cut down. I took it to the shop and they told me one problems and that was not the problems wasting money on nonsense.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My vehicle started to act up as I proceeded to work. I learned it was the electrical throttle control. I had my vehicle towed to the service department. My vehicle was fixed without any trouble. I truly appreciated the quick and friendly service.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I would definitely recommend J.D. Byrider to friends and family. The customer service is very friendly and fast auto service. I even love the discount you get off on your oil change. They are really dependable and caring for your transportation.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

J.D. Byrider Palmyra - Great overall experience if I’m buying it's from Brian. Salesman came and picked me up I was so surprised! Very patient helping me and my girl thru process. A nice place to do business an really nice people including Mateo.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

This is my experience with J.D. Byrider... I purchased the car in August 2017. They told me no down payment was needed. Because of the situation I was in I was thankful. The catch was I had to pay $250 every 2 weeks for 4 payments then my payments went down to $188 a week. I have paid faithfully all my payments. This past Friday unforeseen circumstance arised and I was unable to make the payment. I received a call from a man that was very verbally abusive to me. I asked him to take $500 on Nov. 10, but he said no and began the abuse, calling me names and degrading who I was as a person. J.D. Byrider takes advantage from poor people that do not have good credit. Even if you make your payments, and a situation arises that was out of your control, they treat you terribly. I wish I would have known this. He told me if I drop off the car, they would let me out of my contract. I really feel like I have been ripped off.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I just paid our car loan off a few months ago. We decided to sell our vehicle & I notice on the title that there's a lien on it from the state revenue dept. I could've sworn we had paid that with our loan... I'M NOT VERY HAPPY!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

First off I've never seen a car dealership so full of **. I mean from the beginning to the end all I saw was red flags. Nobody helped. Nobody asked what type of car I'm interested in and I'm trying to understand how can you tell me my monthly payments without knowing the type of car I'm interested in. Attitudes were terrible as well. Cars are overpriced and everything on the website is a lie. They need to be got for false advertisement. Nothing was the way they said on their website. So don't waste your time going there. I wouldn't buy anything from there if that was the last place on earth. So don't waste your time. It's all a big ass gimmick. The amount of money they want for notes you can pay for a brand new car. Don't waste y'all time. All vehicles are overpriced way above book value.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I bought my car in April, it was what I could get with my current situation and that's fine. Within a week I went to start my car to go to work and it was dead. When I bought the car I went to test drive and the battery was dead and they assured me that it would be handled before I left and obviously it wasn't. On the day I bought it after leaving when I drove on a bad road I noticed a noise at the driver side front tire and it shook really bad. Called them and they said it needed to be realigned, took it to them and they did just that realigned and changed my battery.

Now the part that I am actually upset about is the shaking has gotten worse even after they fixed the situation and I had a mechanic look at it. He told me the strut was leaking and it gets better. I also have an oil leak, transmission leak and oh yeah my radiator is bent. He told me the headlights are new and the reason is that the vehicle has been wrecked and there is even some crazy wiring from the headlights to the fuse box where it has obviously been by-passed. I specifically asked if the vehicle had been in any type of accident and I was assured that it hasn't been. So now I have to get all of this fixed and I feel like I was extremely misled. Not sure if they could make me happy at this point in any way. I do not feel safe in my own car.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Wow. I can't believe I have been making payments on time for 3 and a half years and the one time I fall short they tell me no. I was willing to make two payments on the next check but the finance manager told me no... Do they not understand things happen and sometimes you can't pay on time. I can't wait till I pay this car off so I can be stress free.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been in the sales area many times. Each time they have fixed my cars quickly and have done a great job. Tom will make sure you're taken care of and he's the only one I trust to talk to. Skylar is one of the mechanics And he is amazing! They listen to my concerns and always make sure to let me know what's happened and how they're going to fix it. Rachel, Adriane, Skylar, and Eddie have always been friendly and helpful when I'm there.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Omg god, it was good when getting the car. When it came to sign paperwork I messed up big time. I never got the Carfax report which I shoulda made sure which she told me she would get me and of course I never got it. Well a few hours after I got the car my catalytic converter started making noise. Well that was just the beginning. I've been in the at least 6 times due to catalytic converter, headlights, pig light, temperature gauge not working and brakes all this within 57 days of getting the car. Don't go there you guys. You will regret it and they will not switch car. My car in Carfax report says been in accident. Mileage discrepancy. Etc... Which they did not give to me but yet made me sign for.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Very friendly service. Polite and always make sure my car is all checked out before I leave the shop. Great customer service. I would definitely refer my family to J.D. Byrider. Like the fact that they send me a message when my oil change is due.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Thank you so much, Chris did a great job helping me and he took his time. It took a long time (paperwork) but it was worth the wait. YES I have and will tell everyone J.D. is the place to be for your next car.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The list of issues is long. Just the fact that a customer who only came in to buy a car has dealt with these issues and treated so poorly says a lot. From first encounter I made them aware of issue. Service kept saying nothing was wrong. That happened 2-3 times. I finally got a hold of Chris the owner. He kept making it out to be nothing although he test drive it with me. They finally took to a transmission shop and clearly there was a problem. So they did fix that issue after they claim they have a checkpoint system. Clearly there is not because the car wouldn't have been in such a poor condition.

Chris the owner gave me a hard time and finally have gave me a loaner car. I asked him if it was safe. He quoted "I has been serviced". Well the loaner car they cut off three times before I made it home to a 15 min drive. So that speaks to the service creditability. He then offers me my trade in back and all my payments. I decide to apply forgiveness under the conditions that the issues with car would be taken care of. However when I got the car back the old issues and new issues were present.

I called service and they said it would be weeks before they could get me in. Chris says, "Thank you." I will win back satisfaction and he has yet to do that. Then the last straw is when I called in on Friday for a payment that was due that say to ASK if it was ok to pay $200 on that day and $100 on Monday. The rep from CNAC says let me check and I'll get back to you. I never heard back from anyone. But a task force team seemed like was following me Sunday night and took car and I was breathing fire!!!

I called Chris and he hung up on me. I had to walk home and all he was concerned about Was his wife sleeping beside him at the time. His words. I calmed down a little and said, "Yes it's late. Wait till tomorrow." Expecting to hear from him. Which I did not. I finally called him a few days later and he says I'm aware of the situation. To make it a short version. We agreed he would return my trade in and payments on 9/19 but on 9/20 he sent an email totally disregarding the agreement he made and said he would not be returning the car.

Each time I've dealt with company was unprofessional, lack of integrity. Greed and disapproval of consumer logical complaints and the list goes on. I think companies as such is a total disgrace nonhuman race. Where a company suppose to provides a product and a consumers pays them for it. This place gives car industry a bad Grade: F.

Resolution response: Sept. 30, 2017

Not only have the issues been resolved but Tom went above and beyond what he had to do in order to make sure I was happy. They did a great job.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I've been asked several times to submit a review on JDByrider's performance and my experiences, so here goes. Literally from the moment I walked in the door, zero effort was made to make my experience enjoyable in any way, in fact it seemed quite the opposite. I was told right up front by Marcus that I'd be out in an hour, it took 4 1/2. He would talk for a minute or two, then disappear for 20 min. At first he was quite friendly and upbeat, but in short order it seemed like I was the least important thing in his world, even a little irritated with me for some reason.

There were several things wrong with the car, the AC and display were the most obvious and they said they'd fix it and that I had 60 days to bring it back into the shop and get it fixed. I work, a lot and their shop isn't open but from 9-6, but if you don't have your car in there by 430, they won't work on you as they are now cleaning up. So, really, 9-430. I work during those hours, so it was hard for me to get in. I brought the car in before the 60 day mark and Marcus tried denying me, blatantly lying to my face, saying that he "wouldn't give his own brother 60 days", and the copy of the contract that he kept didn't have the revision on it. My bad for not demanding they change the contract, but I didn't catch it. It'd been almost 5 hours, which I'm sure is why they do that, so they can slip little clever cons like this past you. Most dealerships do this though...

7 days later, a coolant connector broke and the car started overheating. I pulled over, called TC (one of the managers with CNAC, JDByrider's "bank") he came and picked me up and had a tow truck come pick up my car. It was then fixed by the time I got off work Monday. This was awesome. I am quite happy with the service in this instance.

One week later (not making this up) the radiator springs a leak and drains in between drives. Ok, not a huge deal, I just gotta keep coolant in it. A radiator isn't covered under warranty but as it was only two weeks in (and I kinda threw a mini fit over this, not freaking out but I was a little assertive in expressing my displeasure after the first response I got basically telling me tough **, not covered under warranty, sorry TC) TC and Tom agreed to change it free of charge. phew.

The AC... I brought it in within the first couple days to have it fixed, which when I got it back the AC was blowing cold air. Then it went completely out again within 2 months. I brought it into another mechanic (which btw, gave me a whole laundry list of other ** wrong with the car which Tom, the manager of the service department, proceeded to systematically dispute and/or just tell me that it wasn't part of the warranty because it wasn't safety related basically) and told me that my AC wasn't leaking, even going so far as to show me something under the front passenger tire and basically saying, "See? That's your AC and there's no leak". Now I know that freon isn't going to leave residue but I know very little about cars, I'm no mechanic (which, btw, I should've brought it into one but I dind't have spare cash to put up for a run-down of the vehicle.

I've since found a place that will inspect new cars for free, they're awesome! Big Priority Auto), but I didn't want to argue with him. A few weeks ago, surprise surprise, AC's starting to go out. I brought it back in to get my center console display installed, which they had to order and took some time but that went great, and I told Tom about it. He took a thermometer to my ac and tested it, it was blowing like 50* air or something, at that moment inside his shop.

Now a few weeks later the AC is almost completely gone again and I really don't want to have to go and argue with Tom again about why he should just do his job and fix the damned AC instead of recharging a leaking and failed AC unit every 6-8 weeks like was stipulated, IN WRITING, before I bought the car. That's not fixing anything, that's putting a bandaid on the problem and spewing CFC's into the environment (you know, the stuff that ate the FREAKING OZONE LAYER!). REALLY not happy with that.

Then there was my tire and CV axle... I started hearing some clicking a few weeks ago when I turned, so I figured it was CV axle. It got progressively worse fairly quickly, so I got it into the shop within about a week and a half of it starting (I was sure a CV wasn't going to be covered under warranty, but it was. Thank god). Apparently on top of the CV the wheel was about to come off. It had shorn some of the bolts off the hub and the hub needed to be replaced. I have not once touched the lug nuts on any of the tires, I haven't even removed the hub caps.

Now, it's not impossible someone, somewhere loosened some of my lug nuts for some reason. I don't think that happened... I think whoever last changed the tire was in a hurry or got distracted or something and forgot a couple lugs or didn't tighten down enough, or something. I don't know. I'm not a mechanic and it doesn't really matter. I brought it in and within like 4 hours I had it back, running great. Completely paid for by them (the CV was under warranty but the bolts and hub weren't) and this decision was come to jointly by TC and Tom. I'm not happy that this happened obviously but it got fixed quickly and painlessly.

One last problem, the vacuum hose on my car is in two pieces. It had electrical tape wrapping it, keeping the vacuum, but that failed (obviously) so I had to wrap it with duct tape as I couldn't afford the $90 hose. When I showed this to Tom he wasn't surprised at all and actually complimented me on my duct-tape wrap job. Said that's exactly what he does (though apparently he uses electrical tape so you can't see it on the black hose. I'll leave opinion out of this. All of this happened, exactly as I tell it. I've not embellished anything. For the most part, I'm not happy with JDByrider but it's been a mixed bag.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Mr. ** is a very excellent sales agent. He went above and beyond to help me in all ways. He never mislead me, he provided me with honest answers, he deserves his job and much more. He deserves a job well done. Thanks Mr. **!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Really nice people and they help as much as possible. Shawn and Selina were great and I would strongly recommend J.D. Byrider. Not to mention the payments were really affordable and my car came with an awesome warranty. They gave me a choice of a lot of nice vehicles... it was hard to choose.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

They were nice at first. I been paying for almost 3 yrs. Never missed a payment. Then I take my car to be looked at. Awful funny they can never find nothing wrong. Because my warranty was getting ready to expire so I took it to somewhere else and it was my transmission. So I told them and they gave me quote of 23000 so I found somewhere for $950. Had to fix it myself cause the mechanic don't know what they were doing. I know I'll never buy another anything from JD Byrider. When you want help they are so rude.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Gina. I'm sorry to see that you had a negative experience with us. Please let us know if there is anything we can improve upon to better your experience. Please give us a call.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Mr ** was good at helping me. Also Mrs ** was good at helping me. Everyone is so nice and friendly at the 155 location. Everything that I asked to be done was did and I didn't have to wait too long. My car is back to normal again and I will recommend all my friends.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you so much for your review, Oneshia! We appreciate the recommendations!

No response received
Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

So I buy a 2011 Ford Fusion and 5 months later the transmission drops. So while I'm paying $482 a month now I had pay $340 to rent a car. Then after waiting a week for my car which they basically said fix the car or return and still be on the hook for the loan. Now after a week without my car which it broke down Tuesday said it be done Tuesday still haven't gotten my car back and it Thursday. Luckily it happened within their 25000 mile warranty. They offer no extended warranty even if I'm willing to pay for it but this is absolutely ridiculous. I $2000 down and instead of paying a car outright thought I'd get something that's already been checked and had a work up and would hopefully last a little while before anything needed major like this needed to be done like this now. If I don't get my car back today I'll have to get another rental car. JD Byrider clearly doesn't do proper checks on their vehicles so please be careful with them.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Kaitlyn. I'm sorry about your vehicle problems. I know how frustrating that can be. Please give us a call so we can look into this and see what we can do to help make your experience better.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Very pleasant team of works. Matt ** the salesman was awesome. Would recommend to my friends and family when looking for a car. Second car bought with J.D. Byrider. They helped with every part of getting the car ready for us to drive away today. Couldn't ask for a better group of people.

J.D. Byrider response

Thank you for your review, Patrick! Congrats on your new car!

J.D. Byrider Company Information

J.D. Byrider
12802 Hamilton Crossing Blvd.
Carmel