Consumer Reviews and Complaints

J.D. Byrider

Thanks for the review, Brianna. We're so happy we could help!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

My husband and I were in a tough spot and needed a car that was safe and reliable. We had just totaled one of our cars and we didn't know where to turn. Jennifer ** of the Wausau JD BYRIDER treated us with such kindness the moment we walked through the door. She did everything in her power to help us and we left very satisfied. I recommend that anyone visit JD BYRIDER and experience great customer service and professionalism. Thanks Jen!

J.D. Byrider

Verna, it's awesome to hear about your amazing experience! Feel free to give us a call if there's anything else we can do, or come back and see us anytime!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Best car buying experience ever. Bobby was amazing, he was honest, upfront about everything. Made us feel very comfortable. I would definitely recommend J.D. Byrider to my friends and family... Nice vehicle selection and the warranty is awesome. Look forward to doing business with J.D. Byrider in future purchases.

J.D. Byrider

We're glad we cold help, Darien!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Zach is very informative and helpful. He helps me out anytime I'm at the shop. The service team works kind of slow sometimes but overall they are good and very skilled mechanics. I appreciate their service. And they keep the customers happy.

J.D. Byrider

Thanks for the feedback, Kendrayle!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

Very good customer service and a place that really works for the customer. The selection of cars were very good and if they didn't have what you need they go out the way to find what fits you. Jared is a very hard working person and I will definitely recommend him to the next person.

It was very nice getting a van through you guys. You all were great. Thank you so much. We would definitely recommend you to our family and friends. We bought a 2009 town and country van black with 105550 miles and it runs great and drives great. We are very happy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about J.D. Byrider?

J.D. Byrider

Thanks for the review, Henry!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

When purchasing my vehicle from JDB Medina I had a great experience. My salesman was very dedicated to seeing me into a vehicle. I was very pleased. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. If you need to find a good affordable car with a good warranty attached go check these guys out.

Our salesperson Sergio was actually the nicest person and cared more about finding the right car/deal than about closing the deal. It was refreshing to see and I would recommend him to everyone. Even with my situation he did everything to help and actually found us the perfect car.

Had a awesome time with your staff. Phil is just awesome, Nick such a nice guy, and Jason way to go with help on my car. Awesome guys. You're lucky to have a great crew. Also the finance dept. they are so nice. Good luck to all. For sure tell a friend. Thank you all.

I purchased my vehicle two years ago from the J.D. Byrider in Dundalk, Maryland. My salesperson, Jeff, was incredibly nice and I felt comfortable with him. Upon meeting the finance manager, I was completely drawn into the program and its purpose. (Getting a vehicle and improving credit.) I was told at the time that the car was valued close to $8500.00, and that I would be paying $12000.00 after interest with 1000 down. I knew at the time that I didn't have much choice, and so I went with this option. Starting out with 3500 negative equity was something I knew I'd have to deal with.

Two weeks after I had the car, water started pouring through the top console where the temperature and lights are displayed. I called the dealership and they said "it's a used car, your warranty doesn't cover that". I went ahead and paid to have the seals repaired for $250.00, and then paid the $400.00 car payment. The water stopped leaking through the top console, and sloshed around in the ceiling of the car, eventually pouring down the inside of the windshield. Paid to have those seals replaced in month two, and then paid the car payment.

A few weeks later, the brakes needed to be replaced, as well as the tires. When the tires were removed, it was apparent that they were extremely worn on the inside. Called the dealership, who stated that they weren't like that when I left with the vehicle. However, there's no way I caused that much damage within a few weeks time.

The following month, I pulled the car over due to overheating, and coolant was leaking all over the road. I put more in, and watched as it drained out as quickly as I put it in. Replaced the radiator and hoses, again, at my expense. I went on to continue to pay the car payment monthly, and two years later, I've never missed a payment. Trade in value for the car is now $683.00, but dealerships are offering me 1000.00 as a trade value. I owe $8863.00. No one is willing to refinance it, as the car is so underwater.

Now it needs a new alternator. Since my warranty doesn't cover this either, I had a mechanic take a look for me. He told me that many of the parts in the front of the vehicle are not the appropriate parts. (Meaning that they are not meant for my vehicle). Therefore, he refused the work in fear of not being able to get the car put back together, or possibly breaking something trying to get the ill fitted parts off. I've been turned down for full coverage insurance because the premium is higher than the car's value.

I've done everything this program requested, and two years later, this car is falling apart and has no value. My account manager, Mrs. **, is incredibly nice, but can do nothing to help me. I've reached out to managers and the manager's manager, and basically been told they can't do anything to help me. This car will fall apart in 6 months at best, and I'll still owe 8k.

All the work I've done to successfully improve my credit will be destroyed if I turn the car in, and for me that's not an option. Two years ago I was under the impression I had $3500 negative equity, and fell victim to the statement that "making payments for a few years would deplete most of the negative equity, and I would have a positive payment history and improved credit". What really happened, was that I've paid $5000 in payments, $1500 in repairs, and now have almost 8K in negative equity. Although the program sounds great starting out, in the end this is predatory lending, no doubt.

This company has put me in a worse position than I was in 2 years ago when I made the purchase. I continue to make my payments on time monthly in order to avoid negative credit and continue to honor my part of the deal. In the meantime, I've begun reaching out to other entities in my state to see if I can get some relief without destroying my credit, and it seems that this scenario is all too familiar to them. Again, I refuse to destroy my credit, so I can only recommend that if at all possible, avoid this company if you can help it.

Hey Brandon,

We're sorry to hear that you're having issues. Can you give us a call so that we can take a closer look into your account? Thank you for your patience.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I'll save you the time and money, DON'T go to this place! They sell vehicles with high mileage, sell them for the price as if they were brand new, they are disrespectful, especially Sean my account manager. They don't care what car you get, doesn't matter if they say they work with your budget (which they DON'T). I mean yeah every paycheck it gets paid but you don't have anything left over after considering all of the bills they DON'T ask about. It's too expensive, they fast talk you, and they rush rush rush so you don't have time to think about it clearly. After this car, I'm done and will NEVER recommend anyone to this business. OH AND COME TO OF IT, I NEVER GOT THAT 200 DOLLARS EITHER FOR REFERRING SOMEONE THE FIRST TIME! DUMB!

J.D. Byrider

Thanks for the feedback, Kimberly!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Hello future customers! Everyone at J.D. Byrider was awesome, they was very nice, they came and checked on you while you wait in the lobby, they keep you updated on what's going every minute you are there. They answered all my questions and my sale guy Jared was great, they made you feel right at home there, I would recommend them to friends and family. Thanks everyone that helped me get into my new (used) Car????

Hey Amber,

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I bought my vehicle in October of 2015 and have yet to see it report to my credit monthly as they stated it would be to "bring up my credit score". I also have had the car in and out five times to their shop for a problem since day one they "claimed wasn't there" but I made them test drive it before I left because I heard it. Also, my son was put in hospital. I did not work for almost two weeks and I missed a payment and explained and the guy said "you better ask family or we will get the vehicle" which I stated I would sue him and I can't pay until my next paycheck. They kept harassing me til a couple days before the guy called. Was being nice then got rude and stated "well you were lying. You weren't in the hospital. Please tell me why on your credit report you're applying for loans." Little did the ** know I was applying for credit cards to help me pay my bills.

When I asked him why the hell is he running my credit when I did not authorize him but one time to do so he claims I signed a paper and legally they're allowed to especially after I missed an appt (I do not see that in my paperwork anywhere!!!). Needless to say I am looking for a car that is more reliable because I can't drive this vehicle with my children, and seeking an attorney regarding their harassment and running my credit to "see what I was doing". Absurd people. Liars and I do not trust them!

J.D. Byrider

Hello, Evelyn. Thanks for letting us know about the issues you've been having. Can you give us a call so we can take a closer look into your account? Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I went to them needing help with buying a car. I was told I had to choose between two cars they picked out. Being desperate for a car I did. Now I regret it. I have had nothing but headaches. Of course when the first thing went wrong, guess what not covered. There was a $400. Bill for that repair. Then a recall on the ignition, fine got that done. Now I am lucky if I can get my key out of the ignition. I have another 1 1/2 years to pay on a car that will be shot by the time it's paid off. Not to mention that the value of the car is only $2,000.00 and I still owe close to 8,000. What a rip off. Never again will I go to them for anything.

Hey Norman,

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

My step had gotten a car from them and was 1 day late and they came and got it. Just started a new job, has a 5 month old baby. The reason they took it was because they thought he might not be able to pay for it. He called and said to take the money out but they would not??? The tow truck driver said they screw people over all the time. Seems funny they would not take a payment when it was 1 day late...

J.D. Byrider

Thanks for the review, Cozette!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Love working with the guys at the Columbus In office. They are always nice and professional. This is my 3rd vehicle from them. I know I can call in and tell them what is going on and they will work with me to solve the issue. I have people tell me not to come here and I am one to quickly correct them and let them know I have always had good deals with them.

Hey, Shaylee.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

I have paid $4550 in the last year and yet my total has only went down $2000. I am paying $19000 after interest for a car that is only worth $3000 (Private Sell). If I wanted to trade it in, I would only get $1000 and still owe JD $17000! I will never go back and never recommend them to anyone. If they weren't my last resort for a car when I was in desperate need, I would have never signed the contract!

J.D. Byrider

Thanks, Kay! We're so happy we could help!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I had my car towed to service dept SLC UT. They got my car right in and fixed new radiator in 2 hours. Never have I had such great service and manager is awesome. Price is great plus they do the best work. They are the reason I would recommend JD Byrider. They make it all worth it!!!

Hey Shawn,

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

From the beginning of me purchasing my car I was lied to by the salesman. He said that the car had been serviced checked before they put it out to sell that everything out checked out good which was a lie because the following week the car started to run hot, within the first year they had to repair the fuel pump, water holes. Still was having the same issues with the fuel pump for months before they finally fixed it right. Now that my warranty expired now my head gasket has blown which it's going to cost $1300.00 to fix so they want me to pay my car payment and 400 to pick the car up. DUE to the fact that I have had so many issues with the car and has still been making my payments on time to build my credit up and haven't been behind in several months. I call to see if they would push my payment back so I would have enough to pay to get the car out of shop.

I talk to one of the night Supervisor Miss ** WHO was very unprofessional the way she talk to me. She said if I didn't make my car payment she would tell the service department to hold my car even though I had been paying on time for months. She didn't care and was not willing to try to work something out with me to help me out due to the fact that I have been current and having several issues with the car. It's been in their shop at least four times and when my warranty is up the head gasket. To all those out there like me who don't have good credit they are robbing us because they can, and they are selling unreliable cars at extremely high prices. The interest is really high. Customer service is noncaring. The shop really don't do good service. Please beware. Don't go with J.D. You will regret it. God is still going to make a way for me.

Hey Patrick,

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I need to purchase a car and my credit is blotchy because of a cancer related health problem. I am very hesitant to go to dealerships because frankly it is very humiliating to not be able to qualify for the most basic of needs. After numerous phone calls I decided to give JD Byrider a chance. First I had a phony appointment set up with Corrine. I was running around like a nut trying to get there on time and when I do after asking around to almost everyone in the store I'm told that Corrine is the GM and nobody sees her. It's just a setup to get us customers in and then we see whoever's up. OK no big deal but now I'm ready to leave.

I meet with a nice enough but very hurried saleswoman named Grace, whom I tell I probably don't have enough time to finish this today maybe I should come back tomorrow. My son has a basketball game that evening and I want to be there. She tells me if I can do this much we can have that done and then move on tomorrow. Well she's not working the next day so after she tells me it will be 20 mins with the finance team. 45 total I decided to stick it out. Grace also assures me that the finance team is only looking for the best fit for me and that will at the very least tell me what I have to do to get onto a car today. I meet with the finance team give them 10... 10 references. 10 names that I wish I never gave them and I hope are not contacted for offers or their numbers and addresses sold.

After this I am never talked to by Corrine. I am basically told my income is too low. Not offered any solutions or alternatives. Just shown the door my fear realized. Almost five hours later I walk to the car feeling subhuman knowing it's not Grace or the finance team's fault that my credit isn't up to par but my own. Miss my son's game and wonder why all the calls and the phony appt setup with Corrine. I did not lie about my income nor did it change... I am even more hesitant now and I don't know what I will do but I will figure something out. I'm a survivor like a lot of us out here these days but shame on JD Byrider for their deceptive ways of business and shame on Corrine for hiding on her office. At least have the decency to come out and say sorry for wasting five hours of your time. I hope this keeps at least one person from humiliating themselves and makes them realize they are no different than any other buy here pay here lot.

J.D. Byrider

Thanks for the review, Latisha!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I have been with J.D. Byrider for 2 years now and never once had any problems with bringing my car in to get looked at. What I like is the staff are friendly and very respectful. They get you in and out with no problem.

J.D. Byrider

Hey Janie. We're sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with the vehicle. We can definitely take a look at it and hope to resolve these problems as soon as possible. Can you please give us a call in the service department? Again we apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I was actually headed to another car dealership but received 2 phone calls from representatives of the company on my way there so I went into J.D. Byrider on 12/17/2016 and ended up purchasing a car. The car looks really nice and drives okay. I drove the car for 3 days and noticed a horrible squeak whenever I went over a bump. My neighbor happened to hear me pull in and told me that it's the shocks or suspensions. (He's a mechanic.)

Being that I'm a full-time college student and I go straight to work after school, I have not been able to contact them during business hours. Because I am in the middle of semesters, I was able to finally call today and inform them of the problem. I spoke with the salesman that sold me the car and asked why I wasn't informed of the problem when I purchased it. He replied that I was told about the issue. LIE! I have the paperwork saying that there were no issues, once I mentioned the paperwork, he changed his story and told me that there were no issues, and I've been driving it so it probably came from me, and that he'll be happy to give me the number to the Service Department! I am livid! I am paying $20,000 for a car worth $7,000 and haven't had the car a month, and already have to come out of pocket for something that should be covered. Crappy warranty and shady business! I hate that I didn't continue to the other car lot as planned.

Hey Frank,

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience. Please give us a call at 888-240-3595. We hope to come to a resolution. Thank you for your patience.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

I went to J.D. Byrider to get me a truck so I could have a vehicle. I put only 300 dollars down. When I went to pick what I wanted they said I couldn't get that. They went inside and asked what I qualified for. REALLY that is crap. You ought to be able to pick out what you want since you're paying the money for it. My fiance put 1200 dollars cash down plus her car and could only get what they said she could. That **. This will be the last time I ever go through them. Then after all the money and the car my fiancee put down she had to make 4 additional payments of 200.00 before her payments goes down. Someone really needs to do something about this.

Hey Alondria,

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience. Please give us a call at 888-240-3595. We hope to better explain the budgeting process, and also try to work something out. Again, we apologize for the negative experience and we thank you for your patience.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Never have I been lied to in my whole life by a car dealership that promised they work with any downpayment. Well 1000.00 is alto but when they did the so-called budget they figured I should give them 2000.00... and the the total down on the car I was looking at had a 4000.00 downpayment. Well needless to say I didn't want that car or do any business with them. They made it seem like they could help and only hindered the car buying process. Again I am a single mother with only 1 job, no extra income and this seemed like a scam to get money from me after the lies they told. I will never recommend anyone to them family or foes. Due to them being so deceptive you can't TRUST J.D. Byrider... However I was warned before even going over there. Please beware of all the scams they run.

First I want to say the salesman Keith was so rude. Lied to us. Told us that it doesn't matter how much down we have. "We work with any downpayment." So we took the 30 min trip down there to find out "Sorry you have to have no less than $300 down." Why couldn't he tell me that on the phone? And never told me in till that day I needed a Arkansas driver's license. After doing everything he asked picked a car that I knew I was going to pay way too much for but needed a car. Drove off the lot. As I was driving the check engine light came on. Called right away and told them. They told me not to worry. They will take care of it in 3 days when they are back open. No problem. Car was fine. Took the car in. Was told it wasn't covered. All I could do is laugh saying "You are kidding me. I just got the car. I'm not paying for it." So they took care of it then once again as soon as I got home the light came on again.

They did fix it again so that shows you right there junk cars plus overpriced plus they never told me I had to pay the taxes on the car to get my plates for them. So I have one month to come up with a month car payment plus $1,000 for the plates. If I would have known I would have waited to get the car. Called talk to Rude Keith salesman about it. He was so rude and didn't care to hear what my husband had to say. I wish he could have given the car back and went somewhere else. I hope this help others to stay away from this places and stay away from Keith the salesman. He is no help at all!! Go somewhere else!!

Reading, PA has the worst location ever!!! They told me if I refer someone I would get a $100 referral bonus. I referred my sister-in-law. They told me last week the check was on the desk of the owner and waiting to be signed. I called today and they told me we both have to be over our probationary period!! That's not the information I was given last week! They are liars and the cars are horrible. I had mine in the shop 4 times since 11/1. Do not go there!!!

I walked in and asked for Tony specifically. He was nice from the moment we met him. He went through everything and told us about J.D. Byrider and made me comfortable buy a car from him. He showed me many cars, and didn't get frustrated when I was picky even though it was cold.

Thanks, Eric!

We're so glad we could help!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I came into Byrider today to even see if I could be approved. Ted, sean and Stacy was extremely helpful and turns out I got approved for a better vehicle than what I currently own - Overall great experience and I WOULD AND WILL come back again.

Hey Adam,

We're so glad that we were able to help! We noticed you left a 3-star rating. Is there something that we could have done to make your experience better? We appreciate any feedback you may have in order to continually improve or customer experience. Thanks again!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

The staff was extremely helpful. We purchased our car on New year's eve and never felt rushed. They went out of their way to make sure we could leave with our car that day... Totally different than the large car dealerships. Though my situation was too bad to purchase a newer car, but again they made it happen. We went in with no money down, no trade, and 3 hrs later driving home with our new car. If you have a job and need a vehicle, they will help you. Thank you again to all the staff at the Sutton location for making a great start to our new year...

They are the only place where I will get my car fix on. They know what they are doing. They tell you what the problem is before they fix on your car and how much it will cost you too. I will love for everyone to go there soon. It will not cost too much either. I will be back.

I didn't think I was going to drive a car off the lot the same day. I was shocked that I got a car the same day. It had been a while since I had a car, considering my credit is not good. However J. D. Byrider gave me a chance. I will recommend J. D. Byrider to my friend and family.

J.D. Byrider Company Profile

Formerly Named:
J.D. Byrider
12802 Hamilton Crossing Blvd.
Carmel